时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:20] | Silence. Be upstanding in court. | 肃静 出庭人等全体起立 |
[00:23] | All persons who have anything to do before my lords | 为在女王座前伸张正义 |
[00:26] | the queen’s justices of oyer and terminer and general jail delivery | 伦敦中央刑事法庭 |
[00:32] | for the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court | 谨享有审理 判决和收监的权限 |
[00:35] | draw near and give your attendance. God save the queen. | 所有相关人等请准时出庭 天佑女王 |
[02:09] | What a beautiful day. | 多好的天气啊 |
[02:10] | I’ve been hoping for a bit of sun for our homecoming. | 我一直盼着 咱们出院回家这天能出太阳 |
[02:13] | It’s worth having the fog just to appreciate the sunshine. | 能欣赏到阳光 忍受那么多大雾天也值了 |
[02:18] | Is there a draught? | 风是不是太大了 |
[02:19] | Shall I roll up the window? | 要不要我把窗关上 |
[02:21] | Roll up your mouth. You talk too much. | 把你的嘴关上就行了你的话太多了 |
[02:25] | If I’d known how much you talked I’d never have come out of my coma. | 要是知道你这么啰嗦 我宁可昏迷着永远不醒过来 |
[02:28] | -This thing weighs a ton. -Now now. | -这东西简直有一吨重 -好啦 好啦 |
[02:31] | We’ve been flat on our back for two months we’d better be careful. | 咱们卧床不起都两个月了 咱们最好小心点 |
[02:35] | 爵士扮演者奥斯卡影帝查尔斯·劳顿是史上第一位扮演波洛的演员 在1928年的 舞台剧《不在场证明》中 | |
[02:46] | Lovely lovely. | 太棒了 太棒了 |
[02:48] | It must be perfectly lovely to live and work in the Inns of Court. | 在伦敦的律师学院区工作 生活一定棒极了 |
[02:52] | How lucky you lawyers are. | 你们律师多么幸运啊 |
[02:55] | I almost married a lawyer. | 我还差一点嫁给一位律师呢 |
[02:57] | I was in attendance for his appendectomy | 当时我为他做阑尾切除术的护理 |
[02:59] | and we became engaged as soon as he could sit up. | 他刚能坐起来 我们就订婚了 |
[03:02] | And then peritonitis set in and he went like that. | 后来就恶化成了腹膜炎 他就这么撒手而去了 |
[03:05] | He certainly was a lucky lawyer. | 他显然是个幸运的律师 |
[03:20] | Teeny-weeny steps now. Remember we had a teeny-weeny heart attack. | 步子要小悠悠的别忘了咱们的心脏病刚刚小悠悠地发作过 |
[03:24] | Oh shut up! | 哦 闭嘴 |
[03:26] | Williams my cane. | 威廉姆斯 我的手杖 |
[03:35] | Here he comes! | 他来啦 |
[03:48] | Good afternoon. Thank you very much. Everybody back to work. | 下午好 非常感谢你们 所有人都回去工作 |
[03:52] | Sir Wilfrid if you don’t mind | 威尔弗莱德爵士 如果你不介意的话 |
[03:55] | I’d like to read you a poem to welcome you back. | 我要朗诵一首诗欢迎您的归来 |
[03:56] | Very touching. You can recite it after office hours in your own time. | 非常感人 你可以在下班后 用你自己的时间来朗诵 |
[04:01] | Now back to work. What’s the matter with you? | 都回去工作吧 你这是怎么了 |
[04:03] | Nothing. I’m just happy that you’re your old self again. | 没什么 我只是高兴 看到您又恢复了老样子 |
[04:07] | Any more sentimentality around here I shall go back to the hospital! | 再有人这么多愁善感 我立马就回医院去 |
[04:11] | They won’t take him back. He wasn’t really discharged you know | 他们不会收他的 知道吗 他不算是正常出院 |
[04:15] | he was expelled for | 他是被驱逐出来的 |
[04:16] | conduct unbecoming a cardiac patient. | 因为行为与他心脏病病人的身份极不相符 |
[04:18] | Put these in water blabbermouth! Come on in Carter. | 把这放到水里去 大嘴婆 进来吧 卡特 |
[04:28] | Look at this room. It’s ugly old and musty. | 瞧瞧这个房间 难看 过时 陈腐 |
[04:33] | But I never knew I could miss anything so much. | 可是我真没想到 我竟会如此想念这里 |
[04:37] | Missed you too you musty old buzzard. | 我也想念你你这迂腐的老糊涂 |
[04:39] | Oh thank you sir. | 哦 谢谢您 先生 |
[04:40] | I’m not a religious man | 我不是一个迷信的人 爵士 |
[04:42] | but when they carted you off I went out and lit a candle. | 不过当他们把您送去医院以后 我跑出去点了一支蜡烛 |
[04:45] | Why thank you Carter. | 是吗 谢谢你 卡特 |
[04:47] | Actually sir I was lighting it for myself. | 实际上 先生 我是为自己点的 |
[04:49] | If anything happened to you what would happen | 我跟了您37年了 如果您有什么事的话 |
[04:52] | to me after 37 years? | 我该怎么办呢 |
[04:53] | 37 years! Has it been all that long? | 37年 有那么久了 |
[04:56] | Yes sir. This is 1952 | 是啊 先生 现在是1952年 |
[04:58] | that was in October 1915. | 当时是1915年10月 |
[05:00] | The Shepherd’s Bush murder. | 牧丛区的布什谋杀案 |
[05:01] | The chemist accused of putting cyanide in his uncle’s toothpaste. | 那个药剂师被控把氰化物 放进了他叔父的牙膏 |
[05:06] | My first murder trial. I was more frightened than the defendant. | 我负责的第一个谋杀案 当时我比被告更害怕 |
[05:11] | First time I rose to make an objection | 我第一次站起来提出反对的时候 |
[05:14] | my wig fell off. Where’s my wig? | 我的假发还掉下来了 我的假发呢 |
[05:16] | Right here. | 在这儿呢 |
[05:20] | -I’ve guarded it with me life. -I hope it still fits. | -我以我的生命来守护它 -希望大小还合适 |
[05:23] | I lost 30lbs in that wretched hospital. | 在那家可恶的医院里 我的体重掉了30磅 |
[05:26] | Still I suppose my head isn’t any smaller. | 不过 我想我的 脑袋应该没缩水 |
[05:35] | What’s all this? | 这都是什么 |
[05:37] | We’ve put it in mothballs. | 我们放了樟脑丸 |
[05:39] | Mothballs? Am I not to practise again? | 樟脑丸 难道我还不能重新开业 |
[05:42] | Of course. The solicitors have been breaking down our doors. | 当然可以 那些法律顾问们 快把我们的房门砸破了 |
[05:46] | -I’ve got some interesting briefs for you. -That’s better. | -我这儿有几个挺好的辩护状 -那还差不多 |
[05:50] | Divorce case a tax appeal | 一个离婚案 一个税务申诉案 |
[05:52] | and an important marine insurance claim. | 还有一个重要的船舶保险索赔案 |
[05:54] | -Nice smooth matters with excellent fees. -No Carter. | -都是容易打理而且报酬不错的案子 -不卡特 |
[05:58] | I’m sorry but you’re not to undertake any criminal cases. | 我很抱歉 先生 不过您不可以接任何刑事案件 |
[06:01] | Your doctors have… | 您的医生们说… |
[06:02] | Doctors! They’ve deprived me of | 医生 他们已经剥夺了我 |
[06:05] | alcohol tobacco female companionship. | 接触酒精 烟草和女人的权利 |
[06:07] | If only they’d let me do something worthwhile! | 他们就容不得 我做任何有意思的事 |
[06:10] | Sorry sir. | 对不起 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[06:11] | Might as well get a bigger box more mothballs put me away too. | 最好找个大一点的盒子 多找点樟脑丸 把我也放进去 |
[06:15] | -2.30 Sir Wilfrid. Time for our little nap! -Oh get out! | -两点半啦爵士咱们该午睡了 -哦 出去 |
[06:19] | Beddy-bye. We’d better go upstairs now get undressed and lie down. | 乖 该睡觉啦 咱们最好上楼去 脱掉衣服躺下来 |
[06:23] | -We? What a nauseating prospect. -Upstairs please. | -咱们 听着真恶心 -请上楼去吧 |
[06:27] | Are you aware that while on my sickbed | 你知道吗 当我 躺在病床上的时候 |
[06:30] | I seriously considered strangling you with one of your own rubber tubes. | 曾经很严肃地考虑过 找一根你的橡皮管把你勒死 |
[06:35] | I would then have admitted the crime retained myself for the defence. | 然后我会承认自己的罪行 并担任自己的辩护律师 |
[06:41] | My lord members of the jury | 法官大人 各位陪审员 我在此 |
[06:45] | I hereby enter a plea of justifiable homicide. | 为一个情有可原的杀人犯祈求宽恕 |
[06:48] | For four months this alleged angel of mercy has pored probed | 整整四个月 这个所谓的仁慈天使监视 窥探 |
[06:53] | punctured pillaged and plundered my helpless body | 针刺 管制 霸占了我无助的病体 |
[06:57] | while tormenting my mind with a steady drip of baby talk. | 并且坚持不懈地把我 当成小孩子说话 让我饱受折磨 |
[07:01] | Come along now like a good boy. Oh no. | 来吧 做个乖孩子 哦 不 |
[07:04] | Take your hands off me or I’ll strike you with my cane. | 把你的手拿开 否则我就用手杖打你 |
[07:07] | -You wouldn’t it might break your cigars. -What cigars? | -你不会的 你会弄断你的雪茄 -雪茄什么雪茄 |
[07:10] | -The ones you’re smuggling in your cane. -Cane? | -你藏在你手杖里的雪茄呗 -手杖 |
[07:21] | You could be jailed for this. You had no search warrant. | 你应该为此下监狱 你可没有搜查证 |
[07:24] | In hospital he’d hide cigars and brandy all over the place. | 在医院里他把雪茄和 白兰地藏得到处都是 |
[07:28] | We called him Wilfrid the fox. | 我们叫他老狐狸威尔弗莱德 |
[07:31] | -I’m confiscating these. -Can’t I have just one? | -这些我都没收了 -我就留一支行吗 |
[07:35] | No. Upstairs. | 不行 上楼 |
[07:38] | A few puffs after meals? Please. | 就在饭后吸两口 拜托了 |
[07:43] | I’ll do it. | 我真会下手的 |
[07:44] | Some dark night when her back is turned I’ll snatch her thermometer | 某个月黑风高之夜 当她转过身去 |
[07:47] | and plunge it between her shoulder blades. So help me I will. | 我会抓起她的体温计插进 她的肩胛骨 我可是当真的 |
[07:51] | Oh no sir. You mustn’t walk up. | 不 不 先生 您不用走上去 |
[07:54] | We’ve installed something for you here. It’s a lift. | 我们为您安装了一部设备在这儿 是一部电梯 先生 |
[07:57] | A lift? I’m sick of this plot to make me a helpless invalid. | 电梯 我讨厌你们把我 当成一个没用的病人 |
[08:01] | I think it’s a splendid idea. Let’s try it shall we? | 我觉得这个主意妙极了 咱们来试试看怎么样 |
[08:06] | Out of there. I’ll try it. | 走开 我自己来试 |
[08:08] | It’s my lift because it was my heart attack. | 这是我的电梯 有心脏病的人是我 |
[08:11] | Here you are. Simply press this button for up and this one for down. | 在这儿 按这个按钮就是上楼 按这个就是下楼 |
[08:15] | Carter I warn you if this contraption should collapse | 卡特 我警告你 万一这玩意儿散架了 |
[08:18] | if the barrister should fall off the bannister… | 出庭律师大人从栏杆上 摔下去那可有得瞧… |
[08:30] | Remarkable. Smoothest flight I’ve had in years. | 太妙了 我多少年都 没这么顺溜地上过楼了 |
[08:32] | -Upsy-daisy! -Once more to get the feel of the controls. | -起来吧 -再来一次我要熟悉一下操作 |
[08:51] | Good afternoon. Is it possible to see Sir Wilfrid? | 下午好 卡特 我们可以见威尔弗莱德爵士吗 |
[08:54] | I didn’t make an appointment but this is urgent. | 抱歉 我没有预约 但是事情很紧急 |
[08:57] | If it’s about a brief I’m sorry but we’re full. | 如果是辩护状的话 梅休先生 我很抱歉 |
[09:00] | Sir Wilfrid has all that he can handle. | 威尔弗莱德爵士的日程都排满了 |
[09:02] | I’m sure he’ll want this brief. | 我想他一定会 接这个辩护状 |
[09:04] | Serious criminal matter. | 是重大的刑事案件 |
[09:09] | Absolutely not Mr Mayhew. Sir Wilfrid is still convalescent. | 绝对不行 梅休先生 威尔弗莱德爵士还在康复期间 |
[09:12] | He can’t accept anything of an overstimulating nature. | 他不能接任何 刺激性的案子 |
[09:16] | Put me on a diet of bland civil suits. Hello Mayhew. | 他们给我定了很多清规戒律 你好啊 梅休 |
[09:19] | Hello. Distressing news about your health. | 你好 威尔弗莱德 听说你身体不好我很难过 |
[09:22] | It’s tragic. You’d better get a man with younger arteries. | 是很惨 你最好找个 动脉年轻一点儿的家伙 |
[09:25] | If you could just give us a few minutes. This is Mr Leonard Vole. | 你只要能给我们几分钟就行了 这位是伦纳德·沃尔先生 |
[09:29] | -He’s in rather a ghastly mess I’m afraid. -How do you do Mr Vole? | -他面临的状况恐怕是糟糕透了 -你好啊沃尔先生 |
[09:35] | Well according to Mr Mayhew I’m not doing at all well. | 是啊 梅休先生说 我的状况很糟糕 |
[09:38] | Sir Wilfrid! Sir Wilfrid! | 威尔弗莱德爵士 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[09:41] | -You’re dawdling again! -Oh shut up! | -你又在闲逛了 -哦 闭嘴 |
[09:44] | Sorry Mayhew. Try me again | 对不起 梅休 等你有 |
[09:46] | when you’ve something not too stimulating. | 不那么刺激的案子了再来找我吧 |
[09:49] | Like a postman bitten by a stray dog. | 比方某只迷路的 小狗咬了邮差什么的 |
[09:58] | I wish you could help us Wilfrid | 嗯 我真希望你能帮我们 威尔弗莱德 |
[10:01] | but I quite understand. Take care of yourself. | 不过我非常理解 你自己保重 |
[10:04] | Mayhew! Mayhew! | 梅休 梅休 |
[10:07] | Oh no. Sir Wilfrid please. | 哦 不 威尔弗莱德爵士 请别 |
[10:10] | Don’t worry we won’t take the brief but an old friend needs help. | 别担心 我不会接这个案子 但是老朋友需要我的帮助 |
[10:14] | Surely I can give him a word of advice. | 我当然可以给他一点建议 |
[10:17] | Come on I’ll give you five minutes. | 好 来吧 梅休 我给你五分钟 |
[10:19] | No no I don’t want you just Mayhew. | 不 不 你不用进来 只要梅休 |
[10:21] | Our nap! Sir Wilfrid! Our nap! | 咱们的午睡 威尔弗莱德爵士 咱们的午睡 |
[10:24] | You go ahead. Start it without me. | 你自己去吧 没有我你也能睡 |
[10:28] | This is your fault. You should not have permitted it. | 都是你的错 卡特先生 你不该允许他这样 |
[10:31] | It is not my fault. I distinctly told Sir Wilfrid | 不是我的错 我很明确地告诉 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[10:34] | no criminal cases. | 不能接刑事案件 |
[10:34] | Well if it’s anyone’s fault I expect it’s mine. | 哦 如果真的有人错了 那就是我的错 |
[10:37] | Seems silly to me but Mr Mayhew thinks it’s very urgent. | 在我看来有点荒唐 但是梅休先生觉得这事儿很紧急 |
[10:40] | -He thinks I may be arrested any minute. -Arrested for what? | -他认为我现在随时可能被捕 -因为什么被捕 |
[10:44] | Well for murder. | 嗯 因为谋杀 |
[10:47] | Oh! | 哦 |
[10:48] | It’s the case of Emily French. You’ve probably seen reports in the press. | 是埃米莉·弗伦奇谋杀案 你应该从报上看到过报导了 |
[10:52] | Middle-aged widow well-off living with a housekeeper at Hampstead. | 死者是个中年寡妇很有钱跟女管家一起住在伦敦汉普斯特德 |
[10:56] | Mr Vole had been with her earlier. | 沃尔先生在 案发当晚曾去拜访她 |
[10:58] | When the housekeeper returned she found her dead | 女管家回到家的时候 发现她已经死了 |
[11:02] | struck on the back of the head and killed. | 后脑勺遭到重击致死 |
[11:04] | Vole seems caught in a web of circumstantial evidence. | 看起来有一大堆 间接证据都指向了沃尔 |
[11:07] | Perhaps if I gave you the details | 如果我把细节都告诉你 |
[11:09] | you’d suggest the strongest line of defence. | 你也许 可以告诉我最有效的辩护策略 |
[11:11] | -I’d probably think better with a cigar. -Of course. | -你口袋里的雪茄先给我一支好吗 -当然可以 |
[11:15] | No previous convictions. He’s of good character | 没有犯罪前科 为人不错 |
[11:17] | with an excellent war record. | 还有良好的服役记录 |
[11:19] | -You’d like him a lot. -They’ve confiscated the matches. A light. | -你会喜欢他的 -他们没收了我的火柴给个火吧 |
[11:24] | The defence may turn on establishing | 我认为辩方如果能建立起谋杀 |
[11:26] | an alibi for the night of the murder. | 当晚的不在场证明就好了 |
[11:28] | I haven’t got any. Let me get you some. | 抱歉我没带火柴我帮你去拿 |
[11:30] | Lord no! You don’t know Miss Plimsoll. | 天啊别 你哪知道普利姆索尔小姐 |
[11:33] | This will take all our cunning. | 这会让我们的诡计毁于一旦 |
[11:40] | Young man! | 小伙子 |
[11:42] | Come here please. | 请你过来 |
[11:44] | Your solicitor and I feel you | 你的法律顾问和我觉得你也许 |
[11:46] | may be able to enlighten me on an important point. | 可以在一个重要问题上给我们点启发 |
[11:49] | -Yes. Thank you. -Sir Wilfrid! | -好的 谢谢 -威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[11:51] | You’re not in bed yet? Upstairs! | 你还没去睡啊 上楼去 |
[11:57] | -Give me a match. -Sorry I never carry them. | -给我一根火柴 -对不起 我从来不带火柴 |
[12:00] | -What? You said I’d like him. -But I do have a lighter. | -什么 你还说我会喜欢他的 -但是我带了打火机 |
[12:03] | You’re quite right Mayhew I do like him. Thank you. | 你说对了 梅休 我喜欢他 谢谢 |
[12:07] | Can you imagine Miss Plimsoll’s face | 要是被普利姆索尔小姐 看到了 |
[12:10] | if she saw me now? | 你猜她会是什么表情 |
[12:11] | Then let’s make absolutely sure that she doesn’t. | 那我们就确保 她不会看到好了 |
[12:16] | Splendid. All the instincts of a skilled criminal. | 非常好 非常 杰出的犯罪本能 |
[12:20] | -Thank you sir. -Here. | -谢谢你 先生 -给你 |
[12:27] | Whether or not you murdered a middle-aged widow | 小伙子 不管你是不是 真的杀了一个中年寡妇 |
[12:30] | you certainly saved the life of an elderly barrister. | 你肯定是救了 一个老年出庭律师的命 |
[12:34] | I haven’t murdered anybody. It’s absurd. | 我没有杀任何人 这真可笑 |
[12:36] | Christine that’s my wife she | 我妻子克莉丝汀认为我可能 |
[12:38] | thought I may be implicated and needed a lawyer. | 被卷进去了 可能需要一位律师 |
[12:40] | That’s why I went to see Mr Mayhew. Now he thinks he needs a lawyer | 所以我就去找了梅休先生 结果他说他也要找一位律师 |
[12:44] | and now I have two lawyers. It’s rather silly. | 于是现在我有了两位律师 真有意思 |
[12:47] | I am a solicitor. Sir Wilfrid is a barrister. | 沃尔 我是初级律师 威尔弗莱德爵士是高级出庭律师 |
[12:49] | Only a barrister can actually plead a case in court. | 只有高级出庭律师 才可以在高等法院出庭 |
[12:52] | -Oh I see. -She shall not even find the ashes. | -哦我明白了 -她连烟灰也别想看到 |
[12:59] | -Sit down. -Thank you. | -坐吧 -谢谢 |
[13:02] | I saw in the paper that Mrs French | 我从报上看到消息 说弗伦奇太太 |
[13:04] | had been found dead with her head bashed in. | 被发现死于家中 头部遭到重击 |
[13:06] | It also said the police were anxious | 还说警方急于约见我 |
[13:08] | to interview me since I visited that evening. | 因为案发当晚我曾拜访弗伦奇太太 |
[13:11] | -Naturally I went to the police station. -Did they caution you? | -所以我就去了警察局 -他们向你宣读警告词了吗 |
[13:16] | I don’t quite know. They asked if I’d like to make a statement | 我也不太清楚 他们问我是不是要做什么陈述 |
[13:19] | and said they’d write it down and it might be used against me. | 说他们会记录下来 有可能成为不利于我的呈堂证供 |
[13:23] | Is that a caution? | 这就是警告词吗 |
[13:24] | Well it can’t be helped now. | 嗯 这就没办法了 |
[13:26] | They seemed quite satisfied. | 他们很礼貌也似乎很满意 |
[13:28] | They seemed satisfied Mr Vole. | 是”似乎”很满意沃尔先生 |
[13:31] | He thinks that he made a statement and that’s the end of it. Isn’t it obvious | 他还以为他跑去 做了陈述 这件事就结束了 |
[13:35] | that you will be regarded as the principal suspect? | 这还不明显吗 他们已经把你当成了 首要嫌疑人 |
[13:38] | I’m afraid you’ll be arrested. | 恐怕你很快就要被捕了 |
[13:40] | I’ve done nothing! Why should I be arrested? | 可是我什么也没干 为什么要被逮捕 |
[13:42] | This is England! You don’t get arrested | 这里是英格兰 你总不会 |
[13:44] | or convicted for crimes you haven’t done. | 因为没有犯过的罪被逮捕吧 |
[13:46] | We try not to make a habit of it. | 我们尽可能 不把这种事变成习惯 |
[13:50] | But it does happen though doesn’t it? | 那么说 确实 发生过 对吗 |
[13:53] | Of course. There was that case of that fellow whatshisname Adolph Beck. | 是啊 那个人叫什么来着 阿道夫·贝克还是贝克尔 |
[13:58] | In jail for years and they suddenly found it was another chap. | 他坐了八年牢 结果他们 突然发现是另一个人干的 |
[14:01] | -He’d been innocent! -Unfortunate but restitution was made. | -他是无辜的 -是很不走运但是他也得到了补偿 |
[14:05] | He received a pardon a bounty from the crown | 他获得了国王颁发的特赦令和赔偿金 |
[14:08] | and was restored to normal life. | 回归了正常的生活 |
[14:09] | That’s all right for him. What if it had been murder? | 对他来说还算好 如果是谋杀案 该怎么办 |
[14:12] | What if he’d hanged? | 如果他被绞死了该怎么办 |
[14:13] | How would they have restored him to his normal life then? | 他们还怎么让他回归正常的生活 |
[14:17] | Mr Vole you must not take such a morbid point of view. | 沃尔先生 你不能用 那么病态的观点看问题 |
[14:21] | It’s just when you say these things are closing | 抱歉 您的话突然让我感到这一切 |
[14:23] | in on me it’s like a nightmare. | 竟离我那么近 就像一个噩梦 |
[14:25] | Relax. You’re in the hands of the finest | 放轻松 沃尔 你现在面对的是全伦敦 |
[14:28] | most experienced barrister in London. | 最好 最有经验的高级出庭律师 |
[14:30] | Let’s get this straight. I may have done something highly unethical. | 梅休 我们还是实话实说吧 我这么做可能是不太厚道 |
[14:34] | I’ve taken your cigar | 我拿了你的雪茄 |
[14:35] | but I’m not taking your case. I can’t. | 但我却 不能接你的案子 我接不了 |
[14:38] | I’m forbidden. My doctors would never allow it. | 我被限制了 我的医生不会 同意的 |
[14:41] | I’m truly sorry young man. | 我非常抱歉 小伙子 |
[14:43] | But if you’d like the case handled by these chambers | 不过 如果你仍然希望由 我这儿的人来负责的话 |
[14:46] | -I’d recommend Mr Brogan-Moore. -Yes. A very able man. | -我推荐布洛根·摩尔先生 -是啊 非常能干的人 |
[14:50] | I second Sir Wilfrid’s recommendation. | 我赞成威尔弗莱德爵士的推荐 |
[14:53] | All right sir if you say so. | 好吧先生既然您这么说 |
[14:59] | Hold this. | 拿好了 |
[15:04] | Carter? | 卡特 |
[15:05] | I would like to see Brogan-Moore here as soon as he comes in from court. | 等布洛根·摩尔出庭回来了 请他马上来我办公室 |
[15:09] | Sir Wilfrid I have never known such insubordination. | 威尔弗莱德爵士 我还 从没见过那么不顺从的病人 |
[15:12] | Not even as a nurse during the war. | 就算是做战地 护士时也没见过 |
[15:15] | What war was that? The Crimean War no doubt. | 是什么战争 显然是上世纪的克里米亚战争 |
[15:20] | You’ll like Brogan-Moore he’s had excellent training. Under me. | 你会喜欢布洛根·摩尔的 他绝对训练有素 在我手下 |
[15:23] | This morning I had no lawyers at all and now suddenly I have three. | 今天早上我还没有律师呢 现在我一下子有了三位 |
[15:27] | We should explain that I have very little money. | 我得向您和威尔弗莱德爵士 解释一下 我没什么钱 |
[15:30] | I shan’t be able to pay all the costs and fees. | 我付不起律师费 |
[15:33] | We’ll get a fourth lawyer to sue you. | 我们可以再找 一位律师来起诉你 |
[15:35] | He won’t get very much. I haven’t had a job in four months. | 恐怕他也得不到什么钱 我已经失业四个月了 |
[15:38] | -What sort of work do you do? -Well uh… | -你是做什么的 -嗯呃… |
[15:41] | My last job was as a mechanic. The foreman kept riding me all the time. | 我最后一份工作是做机修工 工头一直刁难我 |
[15:47] | -I took it as long as I could then I quit. -And before that? | -我一直到了忍无可忍才辞职 -之前呢 |
[15:50] | I worked in a department store | 之前我在百货公司玩具部 |
[15:53] | in toys demonstrating children’s building sets. | 为孩子们演示积木玩具 |
[15:55] | Of course it lasted only during Christmas. | 当然 那只是圣诞节期间的事 |
[15:58] | Before that I tested electric blankets. | 在此之前我是检测电热毯的 |
[16:00] | -Electric blankets? -I suppose you think I’m a bit of a drifter. | -电热毯 -哦 我想您一定觉得我就像个流浪汉 |
[16:05] | It’s true in a way | 从某种程度上来说其实就是这样 |
[16:06] | but I’m really not like that. | 但是我也真的不愿意这样 |
[16:08] | My army service unsettled me. | 我的军队生涯以及在国外的生活 |
[16:10] | That and living abroad. I was stationed in Germany. | 让我变得难以安定 我是在德国服役的 |
[16:12] | It was fine there though. That’s where I met my wife. | 不过在那儿还不错 在那儿 我遇到了我妻子克莉丝汀 |
[16:15] | She was an actress and a good one. She’s a wonderful wife to me too. | 她是个演员 一个好演员 她也是我的好妻子 |
[16:20] | But I haven’t been much of a provider I’m afraid. | 不过我恐怕没有给她 提供什么好的生活条件 |
[16:23] | Somehow I just don’t seem able | 不知怎么搞的 我回国以后 |
[16:25] | to settle down now I’ve come back to this country. | 好像就是没有办法安定下来 |
[16:27] | -If I could just put my eggbeater across. -Eggbeater? | -要是我的打蛋器能推广出去就好了 -打蛋器 |
[16:32] | Yes sir. I uh I’m a bit of an inventor. | 是的 先生 呃 我喜欢搞点发明 |
[16:35] | Nothing big just little household things. | 不是什么大发明 只是一些小玩意儿 |
[16:37] | Pocket pencil sharpeners key chain flashlights. | 袖珍卷笔刀啊 闪光钥匙链啊什么的 |
[16:41] | But my best is really this eggbeater. | 而我最好的发明就是打蛋器 |
[16:43] | It not only beats it also separates the yolk from the white. | 不仅仅是打匀 还能把蛋黄和蛋清分开 |
[16:47] | Is that really desirable? | 有必要分开吗 |
[16:49] | If you were a housewife you’d see it right away. | 如果您是家庭主妇 您就会知道了 |
[16:52] | The trouble is I need money for manufacturing and promotion. | 问题在于 我需要钱 来制造和推广 |
[16:55] | I was really hoping that’s what Mrs French might do for me after I met her. | 我认识弗伦奇太太以后 真的很希望她能为我投资 |
[16:59] | -Exactly how did you meet Mrs French? -That’s rather funny in itself. | -那你是怎么认识弗伦奇太太的 -说起来挺有意思 |
[17:05] | It was 3 September. | 那天是9月3日 |
[17:06] | I remember because it’s my wife’s birthday. | 我记得很牢 因为那天是我妻子的生日 |
[17:09] | I was window-shopping in Oxford Street | 我正在牛津街浏览商店橱窗 |
[17:12] | daydreaming about what I’d buy for her if I had any money. | 盘算着如果我有钱的话 会给我妻子买什么礼物 |
[18:04] | -You really like this one? -Very much. | -你真的喜欢这一顶 -哦 非常喜 |
[18:06] | -You don’t think it’s too mad? -Mad? | -你不觉得这太疯疯癫癫了 -疯疯癫癫 |
[18:09] | Not at all. Daring perhaps. | 一点也不 可能是有些大胆 |
[18:11] | I wouldn’t recommend it to every woman. But you? | 我不会向所有女人推荐这一顶 但是你不一样 |
[18:13] | -Why shouldn’t you attract attention? -You think so? | -你多吸引点目光又有什么问题呢 -哦你真这么想 |
[18:16] | Absolutely. But if I could suggest one little thing. | 当然 请允许我 提一点小小的建议 |
[18:20] | Perhaps we could tip it and bring it back a bit like that. | 也许我们可以提起来 往后移一点 |
[18:23] | Show more of your face. | 让你的脸露出多一点 |
[18:26] | -My bus. Goodbye. -Good… | -我的公共汽车来了 再见 -再… |
[18:29] | You buy that hat. I insist. | 买下来吧 我坚持 |
[18:33] | Actually it was a ridiculous sort | 其实那顶帽子挺可笑的 |
[18:35] | of hat -a silly thing with ribbons and flowers. | 又是缎带 又是大花的… |
[18:38] | I’m constantly surprised that women’s | 我一直都很奇怪 女人的帽子 |
[18:40] | hats do not provoke more murders. | 为什么没有引起更多的谋杀案 |
[18:42] | Go on please. | 好了 说下去吧 |
[18:44] | I was only trying to be nice to make her feel good. | 我只是想表示一下善意 让她感觉好一点 |
[18:47] | I never dreamed I’d see her again. Or the hat. | 我没想到还会再见到她 还有她的帽子 |
[18:49] | -But you did? -Yes a few weeks later. | -但是你都见到了 -是的 就在几星期后 |
[18:51] | Again by accident. I was peddling my eggbeaters | 仍然是巧遇 当时我正到处 |
[18:54] | and business was a little slow. | 推销我的打蛋器 但是进展缓慢 |
[19:09] | 银幕上是1939年的经典影片”荡寇志”主人公杰西·詹姆斯的扮演者 即伦纳德·沃尔”本人” 泰隆·鲍华 | |
[19:21] | Would you mind madam? Your hat. | 对不起 女士 您的帽子 |
[19:24] | -Oh it’s you! -Hello! | -哦 是你啊 -你好啊 |
[19:26] | It’s your fault you know. You chose it yourself. | 知道吗 这是你的错 帽子是你选的 |
[19:30] | -May I? -Sure if you like. | -我上来好吗 -好啊当然可以 |
[19:36] | Thank you. It’s such a bother taking it off and putting it back on again. | 谢谢 一会儿脱下来 一会儿戴上去 太麻烦了 |
[19:41] | That chap is Jesse James. | 这个家伙叫杰西·詹姆斯 |
[19:43] | They’ve led him into an ambush. It’s not at all cricket. | 他们把他引入了埋伏圈 太不光明磊落了 |
[19:46] | -Don’t worry he shoots his way out. -He does? | -别担心 他还是杀出了重围 -是吗 |
[19:48] | -I’ve seen it. I got to the movies a lot. -You do? | -这个电影我看过我经常来看电影 -是吗 |
[19:51] | I get restless so I go out. | 我闲不住了就会出门 |
[19:54] | Then I find I’ve no place to go so I go to the movies. | 没地方可去了我就会来看电影 |
[19:57] | Sometimes I see the same one two or three times. Ooh. | 有时候一部电影 我会看两三遍 哦 |
[20:01] | -Toffee? -Oh yes please. | -来颗太妃糖 -哦 好的 谢谢 |
[20:04] | At this time you had no idea that Mrs French was well-off? | 这时候你还不知道 弗伦奇太太很有钱 |
[20:07] | No. Absolutely not. We were sitting in the cheap seats. | 是啊 完全不知道 我们坐的都是便宜的座位 |
[20:10] | All I knew was she seemed to be very lonely had no friends whatsoever. | 我只知道她看起来很孤独 好像没什么朋友 |
[20:14] | She and her husband lived abroad in British Nigeria. | 她和她丈夫以前 在英属尼日利亚生活 |
[20:17] | He was in the colonial service. He died in ’45 of a heart attack. | 她丈夫在当地的政府工作 他死于1945年 心脏病 |
[20:22] | Please Mayhew not when I’m smoking. | 拜托 梅休 我抽烟的时候 你别说这种事 |
[20:24] | Go on young man. | 说下去吧 小伙子 |
[20:25] | Well they finally polished off Jesse James | 嗯 他们最终还是 干掉了杰西·詹姆斯 |
[20:29] | and after we left the movie she invited me to her house for tea. | 然后我们离开了电影院 她邀请我去她家喝茶 |
[20:36] | I think it’s the most fascinating thing I’ve ever seen. | 我还从没见过那么奇妙的东西 |
[20:39] | Janet come and look. | 珍妮特 过来看看 |
[20:40] | I’ve seen eggbeaters before ma’am. | 我见过打蛋器 太太 |
[20:42] | But this beats so quickly and it separates too! | 可是这个打得更快 而且可以分开蛋黄和蛋清 |
[20:46] | It must be cen-trifugal or centrifugal which is it? | 这原理叫做离心力 还是向心力 |
[20:49] | It’s specific gravity but it whips cream too. | 是一种特殊的吸引力 还可以打奶油 |
[20:51] | Did you hear that Janet? It whips cream too. | 听见了吗 珍妮特 还可以打奶油 |
[20:55] | We must have one. Is it expensive? | 我们一定要买一个 是不是很贵 |
[20:57] | Compliments of the inventor manufacturer and sole distributor. | 恭维一下发明者 制作者兼销售者就行了 |
[21:01] | Thank you. | 哦 谢谢你 |
[21:02] | We’ll use it constantly won’t we Janet? | 我们会一直用下去的 是不是 珍妮特 |
[21:05] | Come we’d better get out of here. | 来 沃尔先生 我们最好离开这儿 |
[21:08] | Janet doesn’t like visitors in her kitchen. | 珍妮特不喜欢有人进她的厨房 |
[21:17] | Ha! | 嗐 |
[21:20] | It’s a bit chilly in here isn’t it? Shall we have a fire? | 这儿有点冷 是不是 我们生个火怎么样 |
[21:24] | Why not? | 为什么不呢 |
[21:26] | This is a charming room. | 这房间真漂亮 |
[21:28] | Hubert and I collected all these things when we lived in Africa. | 这些都是休伯特和我 在非洲生活期间收藏的 |
[21:33] | Hubert was my husband. | 休伯特是我已故的丈夫 |
[21:36] | Well now there’s a loveable chap. | 哦 嘿 这东西很有意思 |
[21:39] | That’s the mask of the witch doctor. | 这是巫医的面具 |
[21:42] | He wore it when he pulled our servants’ teeth. | 他给我们的仆人们 拔牙的时候就戴这个 |
[21:44] | So Hubert used to call him a witch dentist. | 所以休伯特总叫他”巫牙医” |
[21:49] | -Hubert was so witty. -Yes I can see that. | -休伯特为人很风趣 -是啊 看得出来 |
[21:53] | Oh here’s tea. | 哦 茶来了 |
[21:57] | Let’s use our good silver and china. | 珍妮特应该用我们的好银器和瓷器 |
[22:00] | Oh no don’t bother Mrs French. | 哦 不 不用麻烦了 弗伦奇太太 |
[22:02] | -This is perfectly all right. -Lemon or milk please? | -这就非常好了 -要柠檬还是牛奶 |
[22:05] | -I don’t really care. -Would you prefer sherry? | -我无所谓 -雪利酒怎么样 |
[22:08] | -That’d be fine. -We’ve no’ got any. | -那太好了 -我们没有雪利酒了 |
[22:10] | Oh but we have. There’s that bottle the one we bought last Christmas. | 哦 有的 有一瓶 我们去年圣诞节买的 |
[22:14] | If you care for an eggnog | 如果你喜欢蛋奶酒的话 |
[22:16] | there’s a wasted egg in the kitchen ready and separated. | 厨房里还有一只多余砸开的鸡蛋 蛋黄和蛋清都分开了 |
[22:20] | Do sit down. Don’t mind Janet Mr Vole. | 请坐吧 别在意珍妮特 沃尔先生 |
[22:23] | It’s just that she’s terribly Scotch. | 她就是个坏脾气的苏格兰人 |
[22:25] | Oh is she? I thought she came with the collection. | 哦 是吗 我还以为 她跟这些藏品是一个地方来的 |
[22:29] | You know maybe I’ll take a glass of sherry myself. | 知道吗 也许我也 应该来一杯雪利酒 |
[22:33] | I feel like Christmas somehow. | 不知怎么搞的 我觉得现在就像圣诞节 |
[22:37] | After that I saw her once or twice a week. | 此后我大约每周去拜访她一到两次 |
[22:40] | She always kept a bottle of sherry for me. | 她总为我留着一瓶雪利酒 |
[22:42] | We’d talk play canasta listen | 我们聊天 玩牌 听唱片 |
[22:44] | to gramophone records | 主要是听吉尔伯特和沙利文 |
[22:45] | Gilbert and Sullivan mostly. | 的轻歌剧 |
[22:48] | It’s so weird to think | 现在想起她的感觉真奇怪 |
[22:49] | of her now lying in that living room murdered. | 她就这样躺在那个客厅里 被杀死了 |
[22:52] | I assure you she’s been moved by now. | 我向你保证 她现在一定被搬走了 |
[22:55] | To leave her would be unfeeling unlawful | 把她留在那儿未免太无情无义 |
[22:57] | and unsanitary. | 也不卫生 |
[23:01] | Tell Sir Wilfrid about the evening of the murder. | 跟威尔弗莱德爵士 说说案发当晚的事吧 |
[23:05] | I went around to see her about eight o’clock. | 嗯 好的 我大约在 八点钟到了她家 |
[23:08] | She fixed a sandwich | 她给我做了个三明治 |
[23:09] | we talked listened to The Mikado. | 我们聊天 听了轻歌剧《日本天皇》 |
[23:11] | I left about nine. I walked home. | 我离开的时候大约是九点钟 我是走回去的 |
[23:14] | I got there about half past. | 到家时大约九点半 |
[23:15] | I can prove that. I can swear | 这我能证明 我可以发誓 |
[23:16] | to it in or out of court in the witness box anywhere! | 在法庭外 法庭上 证人席上 任何地方都可以 |
[23:19] | How much money did you get from Mrs French? | 你拿过多少钱 |
[23:22] | -Nothing. -The truth. How much? | -我没拿过一英镑都没拿过 -说实话拿了多少 |
[23:24] | -Why should she give me any money? -Because she was in love with you. | -她为什么要给我钱 -因为她爱上你了 |
[23:28] | That’s ridiculous. She liked me. | 哦 真荒谬 她是喜欢我 |
[23:30] | She pampered me like an aunt. | 她就像姑妈待侄子一样迁就我 |
[23:32] | But that’s all I swear. | 但也就仅此而已 我可以发誓 |
[23:33] | -Why didn’t you tell her you had a wife? -I did! | -你为什么没告诉她你是有妇之夫 -我告诉她了 |
[23:36] | But you never took your wife along | 但是你从来没 带你妻子去拜访她 |
[23:38] | when you went there. Why not? | 是啊 我没有 为什么没有 |
[23:40] | -Because… -Because what? | -嗯 因为…-因为什么 |
[23:42] | Because she was under the impression we didn’t get along too well. | 因为弗伦奇太太认为 我和我妻子克莉丝汀关系不好 |
[23:45] | -Is that true? -No! We love each other. | -是真的不好吗 -不 我们彼此相爱 |
[23:48] | Then how did she get that impression? | 那她为什么会有这样的印象 |
[23:50] | She just seemed to want to believe it. | 哦她好像愿意这么认为 |
[23:52] | You never corrected her. Why? | 你从来没有纠正过她的想法为什么 |
[23:54] | I was afraid she’d lose interest. | 我怕她对我失去兴趣 |
[23:56] | Because she was rich and you were after her money. | 因为她很有钱 是啊我想是的 你惦记着她的钱 |
[23:59] | Well yes in a way. | 嗯 从某种意义上来说 是这样 |
[24:02] | I was hoping for a loan for my new invention. Just a few hundred pounds. | 我希望能为我的发明获取投资 只要上百英镑就够了 |
[24:07] | An honest business proposition that’s all. Is that so wicked? | 就是正经的生意 仅此而已 有那么不道德吗 |
[24:10] | You knew it was the housekeeper’s day off? | 你知道那天 是女管家出门的日子 |
[24:12] | -Well yes. -You went there because she’d be alone? | -嗯 是的 -你选那天去就因为知道她是一个人 |
[24:15] | No because I thought she might be lonely. | 不 我选那天去是觉得 她可能太孤独了 |
[24:18] | All right lonely. You and the rich lonely widow all alone in that house | 哦 孤独 你跟那个 孤独的有钱寡妇同处一室 |
[24:22] | with a gramophone blaring The Mikado. | 留声机在播放 轻歌剧《日本天皇》 |
[24:25] | Perhaps you turned up the volume to drown her cries. | 也许你有意开大了音量 以掩盖她的叫喊声 |
[24:28] | When I left her she was alive! | 我离开的时候她还活着 |
[24:30] | When Janet came back she was dead. | 女管家回来的时候她已经死了 |
[24:32] | The house had been ransacked! It said in the papers. | 有人闯进了屋子 报纸上 就是这么说的 |
[24:35] | It must’ve been a burglar. | 一定是入室抢劫 |
[24:36] | I didn’t do it. No matter how bad things look | 我没有杀人 不管看起来 对我有多么不利 |
[24:39] | I didn’t do it! | 我真的没有杀人 |
[24:40] | You must believe me. You do believe me don’t you? | 你必须相信我 你相信我 对吗 |
[24:45] | I do now but I wasn’t sure. | 我现在相信了 但我之前并不确定 |
[24:48] | That’s why I subjected your eyes and my arteries to that ordeal. | 所以我刚才要让你的眼睛 和我的动脉忍受一下折磨 |
[24:51] | -I’m sorry. -That’s all right. | -很抱歉 -没关系 |
[24:54] | As for things looking bad | 所谓看起来很不利 沃尔先生 |
[24:56] | they don’t look bad Mr Vole they look terrible. | 根本不是”不利” 是非常糟糕 |
[24:58] | Apparently you’ve no alibi at all. | 显然你根本没有不在场证明 |
[25:00] | But I have. I left Mrs French’s at nine. | 可是我有我离开弗伦奇太太家时是九点 |
[25:02] | By bus or underground? | 坐公共汽车还是坐地铁 |
[25:04] | No I walked. It was a fine night. | 都不是是走回去的那晚天气很好 |
[25:06] | -Did anyone see you? -Christine saw me when I got home. | -有人看见你了吗 -我到家的时候克莉丝汀看见我了 |
[25:09] | It was 9.26. I know | 那时是21:26 我记得时间 |
[25:11] | because I went right to work on a clock I’ve been tinkering with. | 因为当时 我一回家就去忙活我正在修的一只钟了 |
[25:14] | -My wife will tell you. -Your wife loves you yes? | -我妻子会告诉您的 -你妻子很爱你是不是 |
[25:17] | Very much. We’re devoted to each other. | 非常爱我 我们彼此深爱 |
[25:19] | You realise Mr Vole | 沃尔先生 你有没有意识到 |
[25:22] | the testimony of a devoted wife | 一位深爱自己丈夫的妻子的证词 |
[25:24] | does not carry much weight. | 并没有多少说服力 |
[25:25] | People might think Christine would lie on my account? | 他们会认为克莉丝汀是在为我撒谎 |
[25:28] | It has been known Mr Vole. Blood is thicker than evidence. | 这很常见 沃尔先生 这就叫护短 |
[25:33] | Ah Brogan-Moore. Come in come in. | 啊 布洛根·摩尔 请进 请进 |
[25:36] | So good to have you out of hospital. | 真高兴看到你出院了 |
[25:38] | I didn’t get a full pardon | 我还没正式被赦免呢 |
[25:39] | I’m out on parole. You know Mr Mayhew I believe. | 我是被假释出来的 我想你一定认识梅休先生吧 |
[25:43] | -This is his client Mr Leonard Vole. -How do you do? | -这位是他的委托人 伦纳德·沃尔先生 -你好 |
[25:46] | -How do you do? -The Emily French murder. | -你好 -埃米莉·弗伦奇谋杀案 |
[25:48] | -Oh how do you do? -Badly thank you. | -哦 你好啊 -他很糟谢谢你 |
[25:51] | A mass of circumstantial evidence. No alibi whatsoever. It’s a hot potato. | 一大堆间接证据 没有不在场证明 是个烫手山芋 |
[25:55] | -Tossing it into your lap. -Much obliged. | -我帮你揽过来了 -真是强买强卖啊 |
[25:57] | Your line of defence however will be lack of motive. | 你主要的辩护理由 可以定为缺乏犯罪动机 |
[26:01] | You will agree that we can rule out a crime of passion hm? | 可以排除情杀 你说呢 |
[26:04] | That leaves us with a murder for profit. | 再来看看谋财害命的可能性 |
[26:07] | If Mr Vole had been sponging off Mrs French | 如果说沃尔先生曾经从弗伦奇太太身上榨取钱财 |
[26:10] | why cut off the source of supply? | 他又何必自断财路呢 |
[26:11] | Or if he’d been hoping for a golden egg | 反过来说 如果他还指望着这只肥鹅给他下金蛋 |
[26:14] | why kill the goose before it was laid? | 那又何必在下蛋之前就把它宰了 |
[26:16] | No motive. No motive whatsoever. | 没有动机 怎么说都没有动机 |
[26:20] | You find some flaw in this reasoning? | 你觉得这个推理有缺陷 |
[26:22] | No no it’s very sound as far as it goes. | 不 不 目前为止听上去都很有道理 |
[26:25] | Well it’s all yours. | 嗯 反正都是你的活儿 |
[26:27] | You’ll find Mr Vole very responsive and quite candid. | 你会发现 沃尔先生是个反应很快的人 而且很坦诚 |
[26:30] | So candid he’s already told me | 坦诚得连他付不起律师费 |
[26:32] | we’ll have to sue him for our fees. | 我们必须为此起诉他都照实说了 |
[26:33] | Oh we’ll simply put a lean on Mr Vole’s L80000. | 哦 我们只要指望沃尔先生 那八万英镑就行了 |
[26:37] | -What L80000? -The L80000 Mrs French left you. | -什么八万英镑 -弗伦奇太太留给你的八万英镑 |
[26:42] | Left me? | 留给我 |
[26:43] | They opened Mrs French’s bank vault today | 他们今天打开了弗伦奇太太的 银行保管箱 |
[26:47] | and found her will. | 找到了她的遗嘱 |
[26:49] | -Congratulations. -L80000! | -祝贺你 -八万英镑 |
[26:54] | And I was worried about a couple of hundred for that silly eggbeater. | 我还为那我傻乎乎的 打蛋器操了半天心 |
[26:57] | I must call Christine. | 我得打电话告诉克莉丝汀 |
[27:04] | Oh. | 哦 |
[27:05] | This doesn’t make things look any better for me does it? | 这事儿是不是 对我没什么好处 |
[27:08] | No. I wouldn’t think so. | 是的 我认为是这样 |
[27:10] | So now they’ll say I did have a motive. | 这样一来 他们就会说我是有动机的 |
[27:12] | They will indeed. L80000 makes for a very handsome motive. | 他们当然会这么说 八万英镑是个非常好的动机 |
[27:18] | I thought you were crazy | 本来我还以为你们是疯了 |
[27:19] | but now they will arrest me! | 可现在他们真的要来抓我了 |
[27:20] | It’s not unlikely. | 并非无稽之谈 |
[27:30] | As a matter of fact it’s quite likely. They’re on their way up now. | 实际上 已经板上钉钉了 他们正在上来的路上 |
[27:33] | I knew nothing about that will. | 可是 我对这份遗嘱一无所知 |
[27:36] | I’d no idea she’d any intention of leaving me money. | 我不明白她为什么要留给我那么多钱 |
[27:38] | If I didn’t know how can it be a motive? | 这件事我根本不知道 又怎么可能成为动机呢 |
[27:40] | We’ll certainly bring that out in court. | 布洛根·摩尔在法庭上当然会提出这一点 |
[27:42] | It’s our old friend Inspector Hearne. | 是我们的老朋友赫恩警巡 |
[27:45] | Chief Inspector as of last month. | 从上个月开始已经是总警巡了 |
[27:47] | Chief Inspector? They must think a lot of you at Scotland Yard. | 总警巡 看来 苏格兰场很重视你啊 |
[27:51] | You’re getting the de luxe treatment. | 你享受的是豪华待遇 |
[27:54] | Oh in here Chief Inspector. | 哦 请进吧 总警巡 |
[27:56] | Sorry to disturb you in your chambers. | 很抱歉 上门叨扰威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[27:59] | That’s perfectly all right. I never object to the actions of the police | 没关系 对于警方的行动 我从来没提出过什么异议 |
[28:03] | except once in a great while in court. | 只除了在法庭上偶尔为之 |
[28:05] | Yes sir I still have the scars. | 是啊 先生 我至今心有余悸 |
[28:07] | You know Mr Mayhew Mr Brogan-Moore. | 梅休先生你应该认识 这位是布洛根·摩尔先生 |
[28:10] | This is Leonard Vole. You’d better search | 这位是危险的伦纳德·沃尔 你最好 搜一下身 |
[28:13] | him he may be armed with an eggbeater. | 他可能武装有一个打蛋器 |
[28:14] | -Is your name Leonard Vole? -Yes it is. | -你是伦纳德·沃尔 -是的 我是 |
[28:17] | I have a warrant for your arrest | 我有一张你的逮捕证 |
[28:19] | on the charge of murdering Emily French. | 罪名是 涉嫌在10月14日谋杀了埃米莉·弗伦奇 |
[28:23] | I must warn you that anything you say | 我必须警告你 你说的任何话 |
[28:26] | may be taken down and used in evidence. | 都可能被记录下来 成为呈堂证供 |
[28:28] | Well I’m ready. Must I be handcuffed? | 好的 我准备好了 要戴手铐吗 |
[28:31] | That won’t be necessary sir. | 没有必要 先生 |
[28:34] | I’ve never been arrested before not even | 我还从来没被逮捕过 我奉公守法 |
[28:36] | for walking a dog off a lead | 从没带不拴绳子的狗出门 |
[28:38] | or having a beer after hours. | 也没有在营业时间之后去喝过啤酒 |
[28:40] | There’s no disgrace in being arrested. | 被逮捕也没什么丢人的 沃尔先生 |
[28:42] | Kings prime ministers | 国王 首相 大主教 |
[28:44] | archbishops even barristers have stood in the dock. | 甚至连出庭律师都曾经出现在被告席上 |
[28:51] | -Somebody better call my wife. -I will don’t worry. | -最好有谁打个电话给我妻子 -我来打别担心 |
[28:55] | I’ll go too see you’re properly charged. | 我跟你一起去 确保你受到妥善的对待 |
[28:58] | -You will see to it that he is well-treated? -We will. | -你们会确保他受到妥善的对待吗 -我们会的 |
[29:01] | Would you like a cigar? Pardon me. | 要不要来支雪茄 请原谅 |
[29:06] | That’s very kind of you Sir Wilfrid. | 非常感谢 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[29:08] | I’d better not. It would constitute a bribe. | 最好别这样这会被界定为贿赂 |
[29:12] | We ought to be going Mr Vole. | 我们该走了 沃尔先生 |
[29:19] | One thing I’ve learned for sure never look in a window with women’s hats. | 现在我明白了一件事 永远不要站在女帽店外向里张望 |
[29:23] | Good day sir. | 再会 先生 |
[29:27] | Makes a very nice impression doesn’t he? | 给人印象不错 是不是 |
[29:29] | Yes rather. Give him the monocle test? | 是啊相当不错你给他做过”眼镜片测试”了 |
[29:33] | Passed with flying colours. | 高分通过 |
[29:34] | I hope he does as well in the dock. This is sticky you know. | 希望他在被告席也有一样好的表现 这很困难 你知道 |
[29:37] | Of course. The prosecution will blast in with their heaviest artillery. | 当然 控方的炮火会很猛烈 |
[29:41] | All you’ll have is one little popgun | 而你手里只有一把小小的玩具枪 |
[29:44] | an alibi furnished by his wife. | 就是他妻子提供的不在场证明 |
[29:46] | Isn’t that an intriguing challenge? | 是不是一项 富有诱惑力的挑战 |
[29:48] | I think I’d like it more if it was less of a challenge and less intriguing. | 我宁可这案子 少一点挑战 少一点诱惑力 |
[29:53] | Miss Plimsoll | 抱歉 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[29:55] | has issued an ultimatum. | 普利姆索尔小姐发出 最后通牒了 |
[29:57] | In bed in one minute or she’ll resign. | 一分钟内您不上床 她就辞职 |
[29:58] | Splendid. Give her a month’s pay and kick her down the stairs. | 太好了 给她一个月 工钱 把她踢下楼 |
[30:02] | Either you take care of yourself | 威尔弗莱德爵士 你该保重 自己的身体 |
[30:04] | or I too shall resign. | 否则我也要辞职 |
[30:05] | This is blackmail. But you’re quite right. | 这是勒索 不过你说得对 卡特 |
[30:08] | For my first day this has already been rather hectic. I should be in bed. | 出院第一天 已经够 疯狂了 我也该上床了 |
[30:16] | I’d better get in touch with Mrs Vole and have her come over. | 我最好跟沃尔太太联系一下 请她过来 |
[30:19] | Will you sit in? | 你要不要一块儿来谈谈 |
[30:20] | Thank you no. I’m in no | 谢谢了 不用 我现在可 |
[30:23] | condition to cope with emotional wives drenched in tears. | 应付不了那些哭哭啼啼的妻子们 |
[30:27] | Miss Plimsoll how alluring you look waiting | 啊 普利姆索尔小姐 你这样子多迷人啊 |
[30:30] | like a hangman on the scaffold. | 就像绞刑架旁的刽子手一样等在那儿 |
[30:33] | Take me I’m yours. | 好了 现在我归你了 |
[30:37] | Oh! | 哦 |
[30:38] | About Mrs Vole. | 那个沃尔太太 |
[30:39] | Handle her gently especially when you tell her of the arrest. | 你得小心应对 尤其是在告诉她逮捕消息的时候 |
[30:42] | Bear in mind she’s a foreigner so prepare | 记住她是个外国人 要准备好 |
[30:45] | for hysterics even a fainting spell. | 她会歇斯底里 甚至晕倒 |
[30:47] | Better have smelling salts ready box of tissues and a nip of brandy. | 最好准备好嗅盐 几盒纸巾 还有白兰地 |
[30:52] | I do not think that will be necessary. | 我不认为有这个必要 |
[30:58] | I never faint in case I don’t fall gracefully | 我从来不会晕倒 省得我没法姿态优美地倒下 |
[31:01] | and I never use smelling salts because they puff up the eyes. | 我也从来不用嗅盐 因为眼睛受不了 |
[31:05] | I’m Christine Vole. | 我是克莉丝汀·沃尔 |
[31:08] | How do you do? This is Mr Brogan-Moore. | 你好 这位是布洛根·摩尔先生 |
[31:10] | How do you do? | 你好 |
[31:12] | -I am Wilfrid Robarts. -How do you do? | -我是威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨 -你好 |
[31:16] | My dear Mrs Vole I’m afraid we have bad news for you. | 亲爱的沃尔太太 恐怕我有个坏消息要告诉你 |
[31:19] | Don’t be afraid I’m quite disciplined. | 用不着”恐怕”爵士我是训练有素的 |
[31:22] | There’s nothing to be alarmed about yet. | 现在还没必要惊慌 |
[31:24] | Leonard has been arrested and charged with murder. Is that it? | 伦纳德因为涉嫌谋杀被逮捕了 你就是想说这事儿吧 |
[31:28] | -Yes. -I knew he would be I told him so. | -正是 -我知道他会被捕我告诉过他 |
[31:31] | I’m glad you’re showing such fortitude. | 很高兴您表现出这样的坚韧 |
[31:34] | Call it what you like. What is the next step? | 随你怎么说 接下来会怎样 |
[31:38] | Your husband will have to stand trial I’m afraid. | 你的丈夫恐怕必然要出庭受审 |
[31:40] | Will you explain the procedure? Mr Brogan-Moore will lead the defence. | 你给她讲讲流程好吗 布洛根·摩尔先生会担任辩方律师 |
[31:46] | Oh? | 哦 |
[31:47] | -You will not defend Leonard? -Regrettably not. | -你不打算为伦纳德辩护 -很遗憾 不打算 |
[31:50] | My health or rather the lack of it forbids me. | 我的健康或者说是”缺乏健康”导致我干不了 |
[31:53] | It is regrettable. Mr Mayhew described | 真遗憾 梅休先生说你是 |
[31:55] | you as champion of the hopeless cause. | 打理希望渺茫的案件的不二人选 |
[32:01] | Is it perhaps that this cause is too hopeless? | 难道说 这个案子的希望 是过于渺茫了 |
[32:12] | I’ll have a serious talk with Dr Harrison. | 我必须跟哈里森医生好好谈谈 |
[32:15] | It was a mistake to let you come back here. | 放你回来完全是个错误 |
[32:18] | I should have taken you to a rest-home or a resort. | 我就该带你去疗养院 或者某个度假胜地 |
[32:20] | Some place quiet far off like Bermuda. | 某个 很远的 地方 比如百慕大 |
[32:23] | Shut up. You just want to see me in those nasty shorts. | 闭嘴 你不就是想看 我穿那种恶心的小短裤吗 |
[32:26] | Come now Sir Wilfrid you must not think of it. | 好啦 威尔弗莱德爵士 别再胡思乱想了 |
[32:29] | You must get ready for sleep think beautiful thoughts. | 你该为午睡酝酿一下 想点美好的事 |
[32:34] | Now let’s get undressed. | 好了 咱们把衣服脱了吧 |
[32:37] | Put these on tops and bottoms while I make your bed. | 换上这个 从头换到脚 我帮你铺床 |
[32:40] | After your rest we’ll have a nice cup of cocoa. | 等你休息好了 咱们就美美地喝一杯可可 |
[32:43] | Then perhaps we’ll have a walk around the square. | 然后我们也许 可以去广场散散步 |
[32:46] | You know I feel sorry for that nice Mr Vole. | 知道吗 我很为那个 和善的沃尔先生感到不平 |
[32:49] | And not just because he was arrested | 不仅仅是因为他被逮捕了 |
[32:51] | but that wife of his. She must be German. | 还因为他的妻子 她一定是个德国人 |
[32:54] | That’s what happens when we let our boys | 我想这都是因为我们把小伙子们 |
[32:56] | cross the Channel. They go crazy. | 都送到海峡那头去了 他们昏了头 |
[32:59] | The government should do something about foreign wives. Like an embargo. | 我认为政府应该管管外国妻子的事情 下达个禁令什么的 |
[33:03] | How else can we take care of our own surplus. | 我们自己的姑娘都找不到小伙子嫁了 |
[33:05] | Don’t you agree Sir Wilfrid? | 可怎么行 你说呢 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[33:07] | All right. Hop in! | 好了 钻进被窝吧 |
[33:11] | Sir Wilfrid? | 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[33:16] | Sir Wilfrid! | 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[33:18] | Come back! | 回来 |
[33:20] | Yes of course I knew that Leonard had | 是啊 我当然知道伦纳德 |
[33:23] | been seeing Mrs French quite frequently. | 经常去拜访弗伦奇太太 |
[33:25] | Go on. | 继续 继续 |
[33:26] | I knew when he came home with a pair of green socks she’d knitted for him. | 我还知道他带回来过 一双她为他织的绿袜子 |
[33:30] | That’s quite natural. I’m sure a jury will find it endearing. | 那很正常 我敢肯定 这会讨陪审团的喜欢 |
[33:33] | Leonard can be very endearing. He hates that particular shade of green | 伦纳德很会讨人喜欢 他讨厌那双绿袜子 |
[33:38] | and the socks were two sizes too large | 尺寸足足大了两码 |
[33:40] | but he wore them just the same to give her pleasure. | 但他还是照穿不误 就为讨她的喜欢 |
[33:43] | Leonard has a way with women. | 伦纳德对女人很有一手 |
[33:45] | I only hope he has an all-woman jury. | 要是陪审团全是女人就好了 |
[33:47] | They will carry him from court in triumph. | 她们会得意洋洋地把他从法庭上带出去 |
[33:51] | A simple acquittal will do. | 只要给他无罪判决就行了 |
[33:52] | Now you know Mrs French | 那么 沃尔太太 |
[33:54] | left your husband money? | 您是否知道弗伦奇太太留了一笔钱给您丈夫 |
[33:56] | Yes. A lot of money. | 知道 一大笔钱 |
[33:58] | Of course your husband had no previous knowledge of this bequest? | 那么您丈夫事先当然 对这笔遗赠一无所知 |
[34:03] | Is that what he told you? | 他是这么跟你们说的 |
[34:06] | Surely you’re not suggesting different? | 难道你是在暗示事实并非如此 |
[34:08] | Oh no no. I do not suggest anything. | 哦 不 不 我什么也没有暗示 |
[34:12] | Clearly she had come to look upon your husband as a son | 很显然 弗伦奇太太把您丈夫看作了儿子 |
[34:16] | or favourite nephew. | 或是一个最喜欢的侄子 |
[34:19] | You think Mrs French looked upon Leonard as a son? Or a nephew? | 你认为弗伦奇太太把 伦纳德看作儿子或者侄子 |
[34:23] | I do. An entirely natural and understandable relationship. | 是啊 这是非常自然 而且很好理解的关系 |
[34:27] | What hypocrites you are in this country. | 你们这个国家的人多么虚伪 |
[34:32] | Pardon me Brogan-Moore. | 请原谅 布洛根·摩尔 |
[34:34] | Do you mind if I ask you a question? | 沃尔太太你介不介意我问你一个问题 |
[34:37] | Go right ahead Sir Wilfrid. | 你问吧 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[34:39] | You realise your husband’s entire defence rests | 沃尔太太 你是否了解你丈夫的辩护 |
[34:41] | on his word and yours? | 完全要依赖于他的证词和你的证词 |
[34:43] | -I realise that. -And that the jury will be quite sceptical | -我了解 -而且对于一个被控犯有谋杀罪的人来说 |
[34:47] | of the word of a man accused of murder | 如果只有他妻子的证词支持他的辩解 |
[34:49] | when supported only by that of his wife? | 则必然会使陪审团充满怀疑 你了解吗 |
[34:51] | -I realise that too. -Let us then at least make sure | -这我也了解 -那么就让我们确保 |
[34:54] | -the two are not in conflict. -By all means let’s. | -这两者不发生抵触 -当然 应该的 |
[34:58] | I assume you want to help your husband? | 我想你是希望帮助你丈夫的 |
[35:01] | Of course I want to help Leonard. | 我当然希望帮助伦纳德 我也希望能帮助 |
[35:03] | I want to help Mr Brogan-Moore and to help you. | 布洛根·摩尔先生 还有你 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[35:07] | There. Isn’t that more comfortable for you? | 好了 这样你是不是舒服一点 |
[35:11] | Now Mrs Vole. This is very important. | 听着 沃尔太太 这很重要 |
[35:15] | On the night of the murder your husband | 案发当晚 你丈夫是 |
[35:16] | came home before 9.30. Correct? | 在21:30之前回家的 对吗 |
[35:19] | Precisely. Isn’t that what he wants me to say? | 千真万确 他就 希望我这么说对吗 |
[35:22] | Isn’t it the truth? | 难道这不是真的 |
[35:24] | Of course. | 当然是真的 |
[35:26] | But when I told the police I do not think they believed me. | 不过当我告诉警察的时候 我觉得他们并不相信我 |
[35:29] | Maybe I didn’t say it well. Maybe because of my accent. | 也许我说得不够好 也许是因为我的口音 |
[35:33] | My dear Mrs Vole in our courts | 亲爱的沃尔太太 在英国的法庭上 |
[35:35] | we accept the evidence of witnesses who speak only Bulgarian | 即使是只会说保加利亚语的证人 我们也会接受他的证词 |
[35:39] | and who must have an interpreter. | 会给他配一位翻译 |
[35:41] | We accept the evidence of deaf-mutes who cannot speak at all | 即使是不会说话的聋哑人 我们也会接受他的证词 |
[35:45] | as long as they tell the truth. | 只要他说的是事实 |
[35:47] | You’re aware that when you’re in the witness box you will be sworn | 你是否明白 在证人席上你是要宣誓的 |
[35:51] | -and you will testify under oath? -Yes. | -你的证词必须谨遵誓言 -我明白 |
[35:54] | Leonard came home at 9.26 precisely and did not go out again. | 伦纳德是在21:26回到家的 后来就没有再出门 |
[35:58] | The truth the whole truth | 这是事实 完完全全的事实 |
[36:00] | and nothing but the truth. Is that better? | 除了事实别无其它 这样是不是好一点 |
[36:05] | -Mrs Vole do you love your husband? -Leonard thinks I do. | -沃尔太太 你爱你的丈夫吗 -伦纳德是这么认为的 |
[36:10] | -Well do you? -Am I already under oath? | -嗯事实上呢 -我现在还得谨遵誓言吗 |
[36:14] | Whatever your gambit may be do you know | 不管你葫芦里卖的是什么药 |
[36:15] | that under British law | 你是不是都得搞清楚一点 根据英国的法律 |
[36:17] | you cannot be called to give testimony damaging to your husband? | 你不可以提供有损于 你丈夫的证词 |
[36:21] | How very convenient. | 多么通情达理 |
[36:24] | We are dealing with a capital crime. | 我们面临的是罪无可赦的指控 |
[36:26] | The prosecution will try to hang your husband. | 控方会想尽办法 把你丈夫送上绞架 |
[36:31] | He is not my husband. | 他不是我丈夫 |
[36:40] | Leonard and I went through a form of marriage | 伦纳德和我在汉堡 履行过结婚的手续 |
[36:43] | but I had a husband | 但是我之前就有一个丈夫 |
[36:44] | living somewhere in East Germany in the Russian zone. | 生活在东德的某个地方 苏联占领区 |
[36:47] | -Did you tell Leonard? -I did not. It would have been stupid. | -你告诉伦纳德了 -没有那也太蠢了 |
[36:51] | He would not have married me and I’d have been left to starve in the rubble. | 告诉他他就不会娶我 我就得留在那个地方挨饿 |
[36:55] | But he did marry you and brought you safely here. | 但他娶了你 并且把 你安全地带到了这里 |
[36:58] | Don’t you think you should be grateful? | 你不觉得你应该心怀感激吗 |
[37:00] | One can get very tired of gratitude. | 心怀感激也会令人厌倦 |
[37:02] | Your husband loves you very much does he not? | 你丈夫非常爱你 对吗 |
[37:05] | Leonard? He worships the ground I walk on. | 伦纳德 我踏过的地板他都崇拜得不得了 |
[37:09] | And you? | 那你呢 |
[37:11] | You want to know too much. | 你想知道的太多了 |
[37:14] | Auf Wiedersehen gentlemen. | 再会了 先生们 |
[37:17] | Thank you for coming in Mrs Vole. Your visit has been most reassuring. | 谢谢你来这一趟 沃尔太太 你的拜访很令人安心 |
[37:23] | Do not worry Sir Wilfrid. | 别担心 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[37:24] | I will give him an alibi and I shall be very convincing. | 我会给他 一个不在场证明 而且很有说服力 |
[37:27] | There will be tears in my eyes when I say | 我会噙着热泪告诉他们 |
[37:30] | “Leonard came home at 9.26 precisely.” | “伦纳德是在21:26回来的” |
[37:33] | You’re a very remarkable woman Mrs Vole. | 你是一个不同寻常的女人 沃尔太太 |
[37:38] | And you’re satisfied I hope? | 我想你们满意了吧 |
[37:41] | -I’m damned if I’m satisfied! -Care for a whiff of those smelling salts? | -我满意了才见鬼呢 -要不要来点嗅盐 |
[37:47] | That woman’s up to something. But what? | 这女人在捣鬼 可是 捣什么鬼呢 |
[37:50] | The prosecution will break her down in no time when she’s in the witness box. | 控方很快就能 把她驳得体无完肤 |
[37:54] | This case is going to be rather like the charge of the Light Brigade | 这案子就像是英勇赴死的 英国骑兵旅一样悲壮 |
[37:58] | or one of those Japanese suicide pilots. Quite one-sided. | 或者是日本人的神风特攻队 完全是一边倒 |
[38:01] | With the odds all on the other side. | 机会全在对方那边 |
[38:04] | I haven’t got much to go on have I? | 我好像没多少 有利的因素 不是吗 |
[38:07] | The fact is I’ve got nothing. | 事实上 我什么也没有 |
[38:10] | Let me ask you something. | 我想问问你 |
[38:13] | Do you believe Leonard Vole is innocent? | 你相信伦纳德·沃尔是无辜的吗 |
[38:19] | Do you? | 你相信吗 |
[38:23] | Do you? | 你相信吗 |
[38:25] | I’m not sure. | 我不确定 |
[38:27] | Oh I’m sorry Wilfrid. | 哦 我很抱歉 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[38:30] | Of course I’ll do my best. | 当然 我会尽我的全力 |
[38:31] | It’s all right Brogan-Moore. | 好吧 布洛根·摩尔 |
[38:34] | I’ll take it from here. | 还是我来接手吧 |
[38:38] | I have called Dr Harrison | 我已经打电话给哈里森医生了 |
[38:40] | and given him a report on your shocking behaviour. | 把你骇人听闻的行为全都向他汇报了 我再也… |
[38:43] | -Give me a match Miss Plimsoll. -Sir Wilfrid! | -给我一根火柴普利姆索尔小姐 -威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[38:46] | Did you hear me? A match! | 你没听见吗 火柴 |
[39:20] | Mr Mayhew. Sir Wilfrid. | 梅休先生 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[39:23] | I’m told you are going to represent me. I’m very grateful. | 听说您本人将担任我的辩护人 太感谢了 |
[39:27] | I struck a bargain with my doctors. | 我跟医生们订了个君子协定 |
[39:29] | They exile me to Bermuda as soon as we finish. | 案子一结束他们就要把我流放到百慕大去 |
[39:32] | -Thank you. -There’s hope that we’ll both survive. | -谢谢您 -希望我们都能活着捱到案子结束 |
[39:35] | -Get into these. We need a photograph. -Why? | -穿上这个我们要拍照 -为什么 |
[39:37] | This is what you were wearing that night. | 这是案发那天晚上你穿的衣服 |
[39:39] | We’ll circulate a photo on the chance | 我们会传阅这张照片 看看那天 |
[39:41] | that someone saw you on your way home. | 你走回家的路上是不是有人看见你了 |
[39:43] | Over here against the wall please. | 请站好 靠着墙 |
[39:48] | Hold it. One more in profile please. | 别动 请转过去 再来张侧面 |
[39:51] | Do we really need this? My wife knows what time I came home that night. | 真的有必要这样吗 我妻子知道那天晚上我是几时回家的 |
[39:55] | A disinterested witness may be of more value. | 一个没有利害关系 的证人要有价值得多 |
[39:58] | Yes of course Christine is an interested witness. | 是啊 当然 克莉丝汀是个有利害关系的证人 |
[40:01] | I’ll pick up the negatives later. Thank you. | 过会儿我就把 底片整理出来 谢谢 |
[40:03] | I don’t understand it. Why hasn’t she come to see me? | 我真弄不懂 她为什么还不来看我 |
[40:09] | Won’t they let her see me? I mean it’s been two weeks now. | 他们不让她来吗 这都两个星期了 |
[40:12] | Mayhew give me the reports. | 梅休 把材料给我 |
[40:15] | Have you been talking to her? Is there something the matter? | 你们跟她谈过了吗 是不是出了什么事 |
[40:18] | I want to read a portion of the evidence of Janet McKenzie the housekeeper. | 我要读一读女管家 珍妮特·麦肯锡的几句证词 |
[40:28] | “Mr Vole helped Mrs French with her business affairs | “沃尔先生帮弗伦奇太太 打理一些生意上的事 |
[40:31] | particularly her income tax returns.” | “主要是所得税事宜” |
[40:34] | Oh yes I did. Some of those forms are very complicated. | 哦 是啊 没错 有一些表格非常难懂 |
[40:37] | There’s also a hint you may have helped her draft her new will. | 她还暗示 是你 鼓动她修改了遗嘱 |
[40:40] | Well that’s not true! If Janet said that she’s lying. | 嗯 这不是真的 如果珍妮特这么说 那就是说谎 |
[40:43] | She was always against me I don’t know why! | 她总是很反感我 我也不知道为什么 |
[40:46] | It’s obvious. You threw an eggbeater | 很显然 你用一个打蛋器 |
[40:49] | into the wheels of her Victorian household. | 搅乱了她那维多利亚式的厨房 |
[40:52] | Now this cut in your wrist. | 还有 你手腕上的这个伤口 |
[40:54] | You say you cut yourself with a knife? | 你说是被一把小刀割伤的 |
[40:56] | Well that’s true I did. I was cutting bread and the knife slipped. | 嗯 是啊 确实如此 我切面包的时候 滑了一下 |
[41:00] | But that was two days after. | 不过那是案发后两天的事 |
[41:03] | Christine was there. She’ll tell them in her evidence. | 克莉丝汀 都看见了 她可以作证 |
[41:08] | Are you keeping something from me? Is she ill? | 你们是不是有什么事瞒着我 她病了吗 |
[41:11] | Was she shocked? | 她是不是完全崩溃了 |
[41:12] | All things considered she took it well. | 总的来看 她平静地接受了现实 |
[41:15] | Though that may be only on the surface. | 尽管有可能只是表面上 |
[41:16] | Wives are often profoundly disturbed at such a time. | 妻子们在这种 情况下往往都心烦意乱 |
[41:20] | Yes it must be hard. We’ve never been separated before. | 是啊 一定很艰难 我们以前从来没分开过 |
[41:23] | Not since our first meeting. | 认识以后就没再分开过 |
[41:25] | How did you meet your wife Mr Vole? | 你是怎么认识你妻子的 沃尔先生 |
[41:28] | In Germany in 1945. | 那是1945年 在德国 |
[41:31] | It’s rather funny. The very first time | 挺有意思的 我初见她那天 |
[41:34] | I saw her the ceiling fell right in on me. | 天花板就砸了我的脑袋 |
[41:37] | I was stationed outside Hamburg with an RAF maintenance unit. | 我当时在皇家空军的 后勤部门服役 驻扎在汉堡 |
[41:41] | I’d just installed a shower in the officers’ billet so | 那天我刚给军官宿舍安装好一个淋浴头 |
[41:44] | they gave me a weekend pass. | 所以他们给了我一个周末假期 |
[41:49] | Come on! | 来啊 |
[41:51] | Join the party | 参加聚会吧 |
[41:52] | Have a hearty glass of rum | 来杯朗姆酒吧 |
[41:55] | Don’t ever think about tomorrow | 别去想明天 |
[41:59] | For tomorrow may never come | 也许不会再有明天 |
[42:03] | When I find me a happy place | 等我找到一个快乐的地方 |
[42:07] | That’s where I wanna stay | 留在那里将是我的梦想 |
[42:10] | Time is nothing as long as I’m living it up this way | 快乐地过活 不用计较时间的短长 |
[42:17] | I may never go home any more | 我或许再也不用返回故乡 |
[42:22] | Dim the lights and start locking the door | 关上灯吧 锁上门吧 |
[42:26] | Give your arms to me Give your charms to me | 伸出你们的手臂 展现你们的魅力 |
[42:29] | After all that’s what sailors are for | 这不正是你们水手的心意 |
[42:33] | I’ve got kisses and kisses galore | 尽情 尽情地吻我 |
[42:38] | That have never been tasted before | 这样的滋味我从没尝过 |
[42:41] | If you treat me right This could be the night | 好好地待我 好日子也许就是今天晚上 |
[42:45] | I may never go home | 我或许再也不用 |
[42:46] | I may never go home | 我或许再也不用 |
[42:48] | I may never go home | 我或许再也不用 |
[42:50] | I may never go home | 我或许再也不用 |
[42:52] | I may never go home any more | 我或许再也不用返回故乡 |
[42:59] | I may never go home any more | 我或许再也不用返回故乡 |
[43:04] | Hey Fräulein show us some legs. | 嗨 小姐 露点儿腿让我们瞧瞧 |
[43:07] | They rob you blind and then throw you a ruddy sailor! | 他们会不费吹灰之力地把你抢走 再扔给你一个水手 |
[43:12] | -Come on let’s see ’em. -We want legs! | -来吧 让我们瞧瞧 -我们要看大腿 |
[43:16] | Come help the cabaret out of her trousers! | 快脱了长裤跳吧 |
[43:19] | All right Fräulein if you won’t show ’em I will. | 好吧 小姐 你不肯露 我自己动手啦 |
[43:49] | All right outside everybody. Come on let’s go. | 好了 快出去 所有人 来啊 咱们走 |
[44:07] | Come on. | 来啊 |
[44:10] | Bring him round to the other truck. | 把他抬到另一辆车上去 |
[44:17] | We’ll be back baby! We’ll be back! | 我们会回来的 宝贝儿 我们会回来的 |
[44:58] | Gesundheit. | 干杯 |
[45:07] | -What are you looking for? -My accordion. | -你在找什么呢 -我的手风琴 |
[45:10] | Oh let me help you. | 哦 我来帮你 |
[45:15] | -I think I found it. -Step on it again it’s still breathing. | -我想我找到它了 -你再补一脚吧它还没断气呢 |
[45:21] | I’m terribly sorry. | 我真抱歉 |
[45:23] | You better go. We’ve had trouble enough. | 你最好快走 我们的麻烦已经够多了 |
[45:26] | Well it’s your own fault. That costume in the picture gave the boys ideas | 哦 是你自己的错 海报上的服装吸引了小伙子们 |
[45:30] | then those trousers let them down hard. | 结果你的长裤却让他们大失所望 |
[45:32] | That costume went in the first raid. | 那是汉堡第一次空袭前的服装 |
[45:34] | Then raid by raid my other dresses | 后来服装就一套套地在空袭中被毁 |
[45:36] | and now you’ve bombed my trousers. | 现在你们把我这条长裤也毁了 |
[45:38] | Cigarette? Gum? | 要烟还是口香糖 |
[45:49] | You’re burning my nose. | 你在烤我的鼻子 |
[45:51] | -Oh I’m sorry. -That’s all right. | -哦 真抱歉 -没事 |
[45:54] | How about a cup of coffee? I’ve got a tin of coffee. | 来杯咖啡怎么样 我有一听咖啡 |
[45:57] | How much? | 多少钱 |
[45:58] | I don’t know. What’s the rate of exchange? | 我不知道 汇率是多少 |
[46:01] | -Depends whether it’s fresh or powdered. -It’s instant coffee. | -这取决于是新鲜咖啡还是磨制的咖啡…-是速溶咖啡 |
[46:05] | Got any hot water at your place? | 你这儿有热水吗 |
[46:07] | -Sometimes. -Let’s take a chance. Where do you live? | -不一定 -我们碰碰运气吧你住哪儿 |
[46:10] | Nearby. | 很近 |
[46:13] | Come. | 来吧 |
[46:21] | Sorry it’s the maid’s night off. | 对不起 女仆放大假 |
[46:23] | This is pretty horrible. In a gemütlich sort of way. | 真是可怕 不过看着挺亲切的 |
[46:27] | Oh it’s fine now. I used to have a roommate. A dancer. | 哦 现在算不错了 我以前有过一个室友 是跳舞的 |
[46:31] | She had luck she married a Canadian. She now lives in Toronto. | 她走运了 嫁给一个加拿大人 现在生活在多伦多 |
[46:34] | She has a Ford automobile. | 她还有一辆福特汽车 |
[46:37] | Make yourself comfortable the stove is slow these days. | 你自己随意 这年月炉子都热得慢 |
[46:41] | That’s all right I’ve got a weekend pass. | 没事 我有整个周末的假期 |
[46:44] | No not that chair. It holds up the beam | 不 不 不 那把椅子不能坐 |
[46:46] | and that holds up the ceiling. | 它撑住了横梁 所以天花板才不会掉下来 |
[46:48] | You’d better sit down on the cot. | 你最好坐在帆布小床上 |
[46:50] | The cot? | 帆布小床 |
[46:52] | Getting more gemütlich all the time. Are you married? | 真是让人倍感亲切 你结婚了 |
[46:56] | -Why? -Well the um… | -怎么了 -嗯你手上的… |
[46:58] | Oh that. No no I’m not married. | 哦 这个 不 不 我没结婚 |
[47:00] | I just wear it when I’m working. | 我只是在工作的时候戴着它 |
[47:02] | Gives a little protection with all the men. | 算是与男人们为伴的一点点自我保护吧 |
[47:04] | -Didn’t work too well tonight did it? -No tonight was bad. | -今晚的工作不太顺利是不是 -是啊 今晚糟透了 |
[47:09] | But it’s getting better. | 不过正有改善的趋势 |
[47:15] | -Where’s the coffee? -Ah coffee ja voll. | -咖啡呢 -啊 咖啡 哟嚯 |
[47:19] | Finest Brazilian blend. The same brand that Field Marshal Montgomery drinks. | 很不错的巴西配方 蒙哥马利元帅喝的也是这牌子 |
[47:42] | Is that a fair rate of exchange? | 这个汇率公道吗 |
[47:44] | Very fair. | 非常公道 |
[47:47] | Would you be interested in having the whole tin? | 这听全给你要不要 |
[47:52] | I would. | 我要 |
[48:03] | -How are you fixed for sugar? -I could use some. | -你打算要糖吗 -要一点吧 |
[48:07] | Milk? | 牛奶呢 |
[48:09] | Sure. | 当然要 |
[48:12] | Milk. Sugar. | 牛奶 糖 |
[48:16] | It’s a pleasure to do business with you. | 很高兴能跟你做生意 |
[48:18] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[48:25] | I also carry biscuits powdered eggs | 我还有饼干 鸡蛋粉 |
[48:29] | -bacon marmalade. -I don’t know if I can afford it. | -培根果酱 -我不知道我是不是买得起 |
[48:34] | Don’t worry we’ll work out something like an instalment plan. | 别担心 我们可以想办法 比方分期付款 |
[48:38] | I may never go home any more | 我或许再也不用返回故乡 |
[48:48] | I’m terribly sorry. Now you have no ceiling. | 哦 真是太抱歉了 现在你没有天花板了 |
[48:51] | Maybe I can fix it I’m good at it. | 也许我可以弄好它这我拿手 |
[48:53] | Why fix it? It’s not raining. | 修它干什么 又没下雨 |
[48:55] | Ooh. | 哦 |
[48:56] | -Are you all right? -I think so. My head aches a little. | -你没事吧 -应该没事有一点头疼 |
[49:00] | Maybe I can fix it. | 也许我可以弄好它 |
[49:02] | I’m good at it. | 这我拿手 |
[49:10] | I had a weekend pass a month’s pay in my pocket. | 当时我有一个周末假期 口袋里有一个月的津贴 |
[49:13] | -And she already had a wedding ring. -Yes that’s right. | -而她手上有一枚结婚戒指 -是啊 没错 |
[49:17] | We got married. When I got out of the service I brought her here. | 我们结了婚 等我服役 期满 就把她带回了英国 |
[49:21] | It was wonderful. I rented a little flat Edgware Road. | 那时真是棒极了 我租了一套小公寓 在爱德华尔路 |
[49:25] | First time she saw it she was so happy she broke down and cried. | 她第一次去的时候 高兴得情不自禁地大哭起来 |
[49:28] | Naturally. She had a solid roof over her head | 很正常 她头上终于有了一个 坚固的天花板 |
[49:32] | and a British passport. | 她还有了张英国护照 |
[49:33] | You don’t know her how she feels about me. | 您不了解她 不知道她对我的感情有多深 |
[49:36] | You will when she gives evidence. | 她出庭作证的时候 你们会了解她的 |
[49:39] | Mr Vole I must tell you I am not putting her in the witness box. | 沃尔先生 我必须告诉你 我不打算让她出庭作证 |
[49:45] | You’re not? Why not? | 不打算 为什么 |
[49:47] | She’s a foreigner unfamiliar with the subtleties of our language. | 她是个外国人 对于英语的微妙之处 她还不够熟悉 |
[49:51] | The prosecution could easily trip her up. | 控方会轻易地找出她的纰漏 |
[49:53] | I hear it may be Mr Myers for the crown. We can’t take chances. | 我听说控方可能是梅耶斯先生 我们不能冒险 |
[49:56] | Quite. We’d better be going. | 好了 我们最好走了 |
[49:58] | Miss Plimsoll is waiting in the car with her pills | 普利姆索尔小姐 正在车里等着呢 |
[50:01] | -and a Thermos of lukewarm cocoa. -Officer. | -她拿着我的药片和一瓶保温的可可 -长官 |
[50:04] | But Christine must give evidence. | 可是克莉丝汀必须出庭作证 |
[50:07] | Mr Vole you must learn to trust me. | 沃尔先生 你必须学会信任我 |
[50:09] | For no other reason than I’m a mean | 没有别的理由 只是我 |
[50:12] | ill-tempered old man who hates to lose. | 这个坏脾气的老家伙不想输 |
[50:14] | Let us wish each other luck. | 让我们祝彼此好运吧 |
[50:22] | Look I can’t face this without Christine. | 听着 没有克莉丝汀我会无法面对 |
[50:25] | I tell you I need her. Without her I’m sunk. | 告诉你 我需要她 没有她我就完了 |
[50:29] | Touching isn’t it? The way he counts on his wife. | 很感人 是不是 如此仰仗他的妻子 |
[50:33] | Yes. Like a drowning man clutching at a razor blade. | 是啊 就像一个溺水的人 抓住一把刮胡子刀片 |
[50:53] | Leonard Stephen Vole you are charged on indictment for that you | 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 你被控于 |
[50:59] | on the 14th day of October in the county of London | 10月14日在伦敦杀害了 |
[51:03] | murdered Emily Jane French. | 埃米莉·简·弗伦奇 |
[51:06] | How say you Leonard Stephen Vole? | 你有何话说 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 |
[51:09] | Are you guilty or not guilty? | 你是有罪还是无罪 |
[51:14] | Not guilty. | 我无罪 |
[51:18] | Members of the jury | 各位陪审员 |
[51:20] | the prisoner stands indicted for that he on the 14th day of October | 犯人被控于10月14日谋杀了 |
[51:25] | murdered Emily Jane French. | 埃米莉·简·弗伦奇 |
[51:28] | To this indictment he has pleaded not guilty. | 对此控诉 他声称自己无罪 |
[51:32] | And it is your charge to say having heard the evidence | 现在要请你们 在听取证词后作出判断 |
[51:36] | whether he be guilty or not. | 裁决他有罪或是无罪 |
[51:43] | Members of the jury by the oath which you have just taken | 各位陪审员 按照你们适才的宣誓 |
[51:46] | you have sworn to try this case on the evidence. | 你们将严格依据本庭上 的证词和证据进行审判 |
[51:50] | You must shut out from your minds everything | 必须摒弃对此案的 任何成见 排除一切杂念 |
[51:53] | except what will take place in this court. | 只有本庭上所发生的一切除外 |
[51:56] | You may proceed for the prosecution Mr Myers. | 你可以开始控方 陈述了 梅耶斯先生 |
[52:00] | May it please you my lord. Members of the jury | 谢谢您 法官大人 各位陪审员 |
[52:04] | I appear in this case with my learned friend | 在本案中 我和我博学的朋友 |
[52:07] | Mr Barton for the prosecution. | 巴顿先生将担任控方律师 |
[52:09] | And my learned friends Sir Wilfrid Robarts and Mr Brogan-Moore | 我博学的朋友威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨爵士和布洛根·摩尔先生 |
[52:13] | appear for the defence. | 将担任辩方律师 |
[52:19] | I trust we are not to be deprived | 我想我们该不会无缘目睹博学的 |
[52:21] | of the learned and stimulating presence of Sir Wilfrid? | 威尔弗莱德爵士激动人心的出场吧 |
[52:24] | My lord may I assure my learned friend | 法官大人 请允许我向各位保证 |
[52:26] | that Sir Wilfrid is in the Old Bailey. | 威尔弗莱德爵士现在已经到了老贝里法院 |
[52:29] | He’s slightly incapacitated but will be in his seat presently. | 他身体略感不适 但是他很快就会出庭 |
[52:32] | My lord may I express my regret | 法官大人 请允许我就 |
[52:34] | that Sir Wilfrid is even slightly incapacitated. | 威尔弗莱德爵士的略感不适表示遗憾 |
[52:37] | You may Mr Myers. You may also proceed with the case for the prosecution. | 我允许 梅耶斯先生 我也允许你继续控方陈述 |
[52:43] | Thank you my lord. | 谢谢您 法官大人 |
[52:45] | The facts in this case are simple and to a point not in dispute. | 此案的案情非常简单 而且每一点都无可辩驳 |
[52:49] | You will hear how the prisoner made the acquaintance of Mrs Emily French | 各位将了解到犯人是如何结识了 埃米莉·弗伦奇太太 |
[52:54] | a woman of 56. | 一位56岁的妇女 |
[52:55] | How he was treated by her with kindness and even affection. | 这位妇女是如何充满善意 甚至满怀深情地对待他 |
[53:00] | On the night of October 14 last | 在10月14日那天晚上 |
[53:03] | between 9.30 and 10 Mrs French was murdered. | 21:30至22:00间 弗伦奇太太被谋杀了 |
[53:08] | Medical testimony will be introduced to prove | 我们会请医学专家告知各位 |
[53:10] | that death was caused by a blow from a blunt and heavy instrument | 其死因被证实是头部被钝器重击 |
[53:14] | and it is the case for the prosecution | 我们控方的指控就是 |
[53:17] | that the blow was dealt by the prisoner Leonard Vole. | 此重击是由犯人伦纳德·沃尔所造成的 |
[53:20] | That’s not true! I didn’t do it! | 这不是真的 不是我干的 |
[53:25] | Among the witnesses you will hear police evidence | 我们要传唤作证的 包括警方证人 |
[53:28] | also the evidence of Mrs French’s housekeeper Janet McKenzie | 弗伦奇太太的 管家珍妮特·麦肯锡 |
[53:32] | and from the medical and laboratory experts | 医学专家及实验室专家 |
[53:34] | and the evidence of the murdered woman’s solicitor who drew her final will. | 还有死者的法律顾问 即最后一份遗嘱的起草人 |
[53:40] | I now call Chief Inspector Hearne Criminal Investigation Department | 现在 我要有请新苏格兰场 |
[53:44] | -New Scotland Yard. -Chief Inspector Hearne. | -刑事调查部的赫恩总警巡 -赫恩总警巡 |
[53:47] | -Chief Inspector Hearne. -Chief Inspector Hearne. | -赫恩总警巡 -赫恩总警巡 |
[54:08] | This is ridiculous. Just nervous heartburn. | 真是荒谬 这只是神经性的胃灼热而已 |
[54:11] | I always get it the first day of a trial. | 每逢审判的第一天我都这样 |
[54:13] | 240 above 130. You shouldn’t be here at all. | 血压130/240 你根本就不该待在这儿 |
[54:16] | -I should be in court the trial’s begun. -Syringe please. | -我应该待在法庭上庭审已经开始了 -注射器 谢谢 |
[54:19] | Be a good brave boy Sir Wilfrid. | 做个又乖又勇敢的好孩子 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[54:22] | It may interest you to know | 普利姆索尔小姐 你可能有兴趣知道 |
[54:24] | that I am descended from a warrior family | 我来自于一个骁勇善战的家族 |
[54:25] | which traces its brave past back to Richard the Lion-Hearted. | 血统可以追溯到 勇敢的狮心王理查德 嚯 |
[54:33] | You’re to have a calcium injection daily | 每天都要注射钙剂 |
[54:36] | -tranquillising pill every hour. -I’ll set my wristwatch alarm. | -每小时服用一次镇静剂药片 -我会设定好闹表 |
[54:40] | Any pain or shortness of breath pop one of these nitroglycerin tablets | 但凡感到疼痛或者气短 要取一片硝酸甘油含在舌下 |
[54:44] | under your tongue. Oh and I’ll leave you some… | 哦 我要给你留一些 |
[54:47] | That’s enough Doctor. The judge will be asking for a saliva test. | 这就够了 医生 法官可能会要求我做唾液测试 |
[54:51] | Carter I’d better take that Thermos of cocoa with me. | 卡特 我最好 随身带上一瓶可可 |
[54:56] | -Helps me wash down the pills. -Let me see it please. | -用来吞服药片 -请让我瞧瞧 |
[54:59] | My learned patient is not above substituting brandy for cocoa. | 看我那博学的病人 是不是用白兰地冒充可可 |
[55:04] | It is cocoa. So sorry. | 这是可可 真抱歉 |
[55:07] | If you were a woman Miss Plimsoll I would strike you. | 如果你不是女人的话 普利姆索尔小姐 我会打你的 |
[55:10] | Take care of this Carter. | 帮我拿好 卡特 |
[55:14] | Now Sir Wilfrid in the courtroom you must avoid overexcitement. | 嗯 威尔弗莱德爵士 在法庭上你不可以过于激动 |
[55:18] | Yes Doctor yes yes. | 好的 医生 好的 好的 |
[55:20] | Watch your temper. Keep your blood pressure down. | 留神你的脾气 别让你的血压上升 |
[55:22] | Thank you Doctor I shall be | 谢谢你 医生 有这些 |
[55:25] | quite safe what with the pills and the cocoa. | 药片和可可 我会很安全的 |
[55:27] | Come along Carter. | 走吧 卡特 |
[55:30] | From the body temperature and other factors | 根据体温和其他因素 |
[55:34] | we placed the time of death at between 9.30 and 10pm | 我们推定死亡时间为21:30至22:00 |
[55:37] | approximately 30 minutes before Janet McKenzie | 就是在珍妮特·麦肯锡回到家 |
[55:40] | returned home and called us. | 并打电话给我们之前的30分钟左右 |
[55:44] | Death was instantaneous caused by one blow from a heavy and blunt instrument. | 死亡发生在一瞬间 死因是头部遭到钝器重击 |
[55:49] | Were there any signs of a struggle? | 有没有挣扎的迹象 |
[55:52] | None. Just the one blow. | 没有 一击致命 |
[55:54] | Would that indicate that the murderer had taken Mrs French by surprise? | 有没有迹象表明弗伦奇太太 是被凶手突然袭击的 |
[55:58] | My lord I must object. | 法官大人 我必须提出反对 |
[56:02] | My learned friend refers to the assailant as “the murderer”. | 我博学的朋友 把攻击者称为”凶手” |
[56:06] | We have not yet determined whether the assailant was a man or a woman. | 可我们还不能确定 攻击者是男人还是女人 |
[56:10] | It could quite conceivably have been “the murderess”. | 如果说是”女凶手” 那也同样是令人信服的 |
[56:13] | Mr Myers Sir Wilfrid has joined us just in time | 梅耶斯先生 威尔弗莱德爵士及时赶到 |
[56:17] | to catch you on a point of grammar. | 抓住了你的语法错误 |
[56:19] | Please rephrase your question. | 请重新组织你的问题 |
[56:21] | Yes my lord. | 好的 法官大人 |
[56:23] | Inspector is it your opinion that the assailant | 警巡 根据你的看法 这个攻击者 |
[56:27] | whether he she or it had taken | 不管是”他””她”还是”它” |
[56:30] | Mrs French by surprise? | 是否突然袭击了弗伦奇太太 |
[56:32] | My lord I am taken by surprise | 法官大人 我非常惊讶 |
[56:34] | that my learned friend should try to solicit from the witness | 我博学的朋友竟然恳求证人说”看法” |
[56:38] | an opinion not a fact. | 而不是说事实 |
[56:39] | Quite so. You’ll have to do better than that Mr Myers. | 确实如此 你必须改改 梅耶斯先生 |
[56:42] | My lord I withdraw the question entirely. | 法官大人 我干脆收回这个问题 |
[56:45] | -Is that better? -That’s much better. | -这样是不是好些 -这样好多了 |
[56:53] | Silence! Silence! | 肃静 肃静 |
[56:58] | Very well Inspector let us proceed with the facts. | 好吧 警巡 我们继续来说事实 |
[57:01] | After establishing the cause and the time of death what did you then do? | 确定死因和死亡时间以后 你们接下来做了什么 |
[57:06] | A search was made photographs were taken and the premises fingerprinted. | 我们搜查了现场 拍摄了照片 采集了指纹 |
[57:10] | What fingerprints did you discover? | 你们发现了谁的指纹 |
[57:12] | I found the fingerprints of Mrs French | 我们发现了弗伦奇太太的指纹 |
[57:14] | those of Janet McKenzie and some which later | 珍妮特·麦肯锡的指纹 以及后来 |
[57:16] | proved to be those of Leonard Vole. | 被证实是伦纳德·沃尔所留下的指纹 |
[57:19] | -No others? -No others. | -没有别人的 -没有 |
[57:21] | Did you say the room had | 你是否说过 那间屋子 |
[57:23] | the appearance that a robbery had been committed? | 看起来像是遭受过入室抢劫 |
[57:26] | Yes. Things were strewn about | 是的 东西散落了一地 |
[57:28] | and the window had been broken near the catch. | 窗户靠近窗钩的位置也被打破了 |
[57:31] | There was glass on the floor and fragments were found outside. | 地板上有玻璃 室外有玻璃碎片 |
[57:36] | The glass outside was not consistent | 如果是从室外击碎玻璃 |
[57:38] | with the window being forced from the outside. | 那么落在室外的玻璃就无法解释 |
[57:41] | You’re saying | 你的意思是 |
[57:43] | that someone made it look as if it had been forced from the outside? | 有人故意制造窗户是从室外被击碎的假象 对吗 |
[57:48] | My lord I must object. | 法官大人 我必须提出反对 |
[57:50] | My learned friend is putting words in the witness’ mouth. | 我博学的朋友 正试图把自己的意见强加给证人 |
[57:52] | After all if he insists on answering his own questions | 说到底 如果他坚持 要自问自答的话 |
[57:56] | the presence of the witness would seem superfluous. | 证人的出席 似乎就是多余的 |
[57:59] | Quite. Don’t you think so Mr Myers? | 确实 你觉得呢 梅耶斯先生 |
[58:02] | Yes my lord. | 好吧 法官大人 |
[58:05] | Inspector | 警巡 |
[58:06] | did you ascertain if any of the murdered woman’s property was missing? | 据你所知 死者的财物有没有丢失 |
[58:10] | According to the housekeeper nothing was missing. | 据女管家说 什么也没丢 |
[58:13] | In your experience Inspector when burglars or burglaresses | 根据你的经验 警巡 有没有入室抢劫犯 |
[58:19] | break into a house do they leave without taking anything? | 或者女犯 闯入屋子后会什么都不拿就离开 |
[58:23] | No sir. | 没有 先生 |
[58:24] | -Do you produce a jacket Inspector? -Yes sir. | -你是不是提供了一件外衣警巡 -是的 先生 |
[58:27] | Is that the jacket? | 是这件外衣吗 |
[58:33] | -Yes sir. -That is exhibit P1 my lord. | -是的 先生 -这是控方一号证物法官大人 |
[58:37] | Where did you find this Inspector? | 你从哪里发现这件外衣的 警巡 |
[58:39] | That is the jacket found in the prisoner’s flat | 是在犯人的公寓发现的 |
[58:42] | which I handed to our lab to test for bloodstains. | 然后我们把衣服 送去实验室作血迹鉴定 |
[58:44] | -And did you find any bloodstains? -Yes. | -是否发现了血迹 -是的 |
[58:47] | Though an attempt had been made to wash them out. | 尽管犯人曾经 试图洗掉血迹 |
[58:50] | What tests were made? | 进行了哪些测试 |
[58:52] | First to determine if the stains were human blood | 首先确定这些污迹是不是人血 |
[58:56] | then to classify it by group or type. | 然后化验血型 |
[58:59] | And was the blood of a particular group or type? | 是某种特定的血型吗 |
[59:01] | Yes sir. It is type O. | 是的 先生 是O型 |
[59:04] | And did you subsequently test the blood of the dead woman? | 随后您是否化验了死者的血样 |
[59:08] | -Yes sir. -What type was that? | -是的 先生 -是什么血型 |
[59:12] | The same. Type O. | 是一样的 O型 |
[59:14] | Thank you Inspector. No further questions. | 谢谢你 警巡 没有别的问题了 |
[59:18] | Inspector you say the only fingerprints you found were those of Mrs French | 警巡 你说采到的指纹只有弗伦奇太太 |
[59:23] | Janet McKenzie and Leonard Vole. | 珍妮特·麦肯锡和伦纳德·沃尔这三个人的 |
[59:26] | In your experience | 根据你的经验 |
[59:28] | when a burglar breaks in does he usually leave fingerprints | 入室 抢劫犯一般会留下指纹 |
[59:31] | -or does he wear gloves? -He wears gloves. | -还是会戴手套 -会戴手套 |
[59:33] | So the absence of fingerprints in a robbery | 所以在现场找不到劫犯的指纹 |
[59:36] | -would hardly surprise you? -No sir. | -并没有出乎你的意料 -是的 先生 |
[59:38] | Can’t we surmise the burglar | 我们能否这样推测入室抢劫犯 |
[59:40] | might have entered a presumably empty house | 有可能认为屋里没人 所以破窗而入 |
[59:42] | suddenly encountered Mrs French and struck her | 却突然发现了弗伦奇太太 所以对她发动袭击 |
[59:45] | then realising she was dead fled without taking anything? | 结果意识到她已经被打死 于是什么也没拿就逃走了 |
[59:49] | I submit my lord that it is entirely impossible | 我反对 法官大人 我们完全不可能去猜测 |
[59:51] | to guess what went on in the mind of some entirely imaginary burglar. | 一个完全是臆想出来的 入室抢劫犯究竟做过些什么 |
[59:56] | With or without gloves. | 不管是戴手套的 还是没戴手套的 |
[59:58] | Let us not surmise Sir Wilfrid | 我们不能讲”猜测” 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:00:01] | but confine ourselves to facts. | 应该严格地讲事实 |
[1:00:05] | Inspector when you questioned the prisoner as to the stains on his jacket | 警巡 当你向犯人 问起外衣上的血迹时 |
[1:00:09] | did he not show you a recently-healed scar on his wrist | 他有没有给你看 他手腕上刚愈合的伤疤 |
[1:00:13] | saying he had cut himself slicing bread? | 并且告诉你这是在切面包时留下的伤口 |
[1:00:16] | Yes sir that is what he said. | 是的 先生 他是这么说的 |
[1:00:18] | And were you not told the same thing by his wife? | 那他的妻子是不是 也告诉你同样的说法 |
[1:00:21] | -Yes sir. But afterwards… -Just a simple yes or no please. | -是的先生但是后来…-只需要说是或不是 谢谢 |
[1:00:25] | Did the prisoner’s wife show you a knife | 犯人的妻子是不是拿了一把刀 |
[1:00:27] | and tell you that | 给你看 并且告诉你 |
[1:00:29] | her husband had cut his wrist while slicing bread? | 她丈夫就是用这把刀切面包时割伤了手腕 |
[1:00:32] | -Yes sir. -I will ask you to examine this knife. | -是的 先生 -我想请你检查一下这把刀警巡 |
[1:00:40] | Just test the edge of it with your finger. Carefully! | 请用手指试试看刀刃 小心点 |
[1:00:44] | You agree that the point and the cutting edge are razor-sharp? | 刀刃很锋利 你同意吗 |
[1:00:48] | -Yes sir. -Now if such a knife were to slip | -是的 先生 -那么如果这把刀滑脱了 |
[1:00:51] | might it not inflict a cut that would bleed profusely? | 是否有可能 造成割伤及大量流血 |
[1:00:54] | Yes sir it might. | 是的 先生 有可能 |
[1:00:55] | Inspector you stated that the bloodstains on the prisoner’s jacket were analysed | 警巡 你说犯人 外衣上的血迹 |
[1:01:01] | as was the blood of Mrs French and they were both found to be of group O. | 以及弗伦奇太太的血样 都已经被化验过 都是O型 |
[1:01:06] | -That is correct. -However | -确实如此 -那么 |
[1:01:08] | if the prisoner’s blood were also of this same group | 如果犯人的血型也是O型 |
[1:01:12] | then the stains on his jacket may well have resulted | 那么外衣上的血迹就有可能 |
[1:01:15] | from the household accident he described to you. | 像他说的那样 是在家里沾上的 |
[1:01:18] | Yes sir. | 是的 先生 |
[1:01:20] | Did you examine the prisoner’s blood Inspector? | 那么你有没有 检测过犯人的血型 警巡 |
[1:01:24] | No sir. | 没有 先生 |
[1:01:27] | I have here a certificate | 我这里有一张证书 |
[1:01:30] | stating that Leonard Stephen Vole is a blood donor | 记录了伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 |
[1:01:35] | at the North London Hospital. | 曾经在北伦敦医院献血 |
[1:01:37] | And that his blood is group O. | 他的血型是O型 |
[1:01:45] | Thank you Inspector. | 谢谢你 警巡 |
[1:01:51] | Inspector granted that the cut on the wrist was caused by that knife | 警巡 既然手腕上的伤口 被认定是由这把小刀造成的 |
[1:01:56] | is there anything to show whether it was an accident | 有没有任何迹象表明 这究竟是一场事故 |
[1:01:59] | or done deliberately after the murder to account | 还是在谋杀案发生后故意为之 |
[1:02:01] | for the bloodstains? | 以掩盖这些血迹的来历 |
[1:02:03] | -Oh really my lord! -I withdraw the question. | -哦 真是的 法官大人 -我收回这个问题 |
[1:02:06] | You may stand down. | 你可以离开证人席了 警巡 |
[1:02:10] | -Call Janet McKenzie. -Janet McKenzie. | -传珍妮特·麦肯锡 -珍妮特·麦肯锡 |
[1:02:13] | -Janet McKenzie. -Janet McKenzie. | -珍妮特·麦肯锡 -珍妮特·麦肯锡 |
[1:02:40] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence… | 我向万能的上帝起誓 我提供的证词将是事实 |
[1:02:45] | …the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. | 完完全全的事实 除了事实别无其它 |
[1:02:48] | Carter. Carter. Pill. Pill. | 卡特 卡特 药片 药片 |
[1:02:52] | -Your name is Janet McKenzie? -Aye that’s my name. | -你是珍妮特·麦肯锡 -对 就是我 |
[1:02:55] | -When did you first come to London? -That was many years ago. 28 years ago. | -你是什么时候来伦敦的 -有年头了28年前 |
[1:03:00] | -Where do you live? -Now that Mrs French poor soul is dead | -你住在哪里 -现在可怜的弗伦奇太太死了 |
[1:03:05] | I’ve moved in with my niece at 19 Glenister Road. | 我搬到我侄女家住 格伦尼斯特街19号 |
[1:03:09] | You were companion-housekeeper to the late Mrs Emily French? | 你是已故的埃米莉·弗伦奇 太太的陪伴兼女管家 |
[1:03:12] | I was her housekeeper! I’ve no opinion of companions | 我是她的管家没错 但绝对不是什么陪伴 |
[1:03:16] | poor feckless bodies afraid of a bit of honest domestic work. | 陪伴都是些没用的懒骨头 一点正经家务都不肯干 |
[1:03:19] | I meant you were on friendly terms not altogether | 是啊 我的意思是 你们已经具有一种朋友关系 |
[1:03:22] | those of mistress and servant. | 而不仅仅是女主人和女仆的关系 |
[1:03:24] | Aye. Ten years I was with her and looked after her. | 对 十年前我就 开始为她做事 照顾她 |
[1:03:28] | She knew me and she trusted me. | 她了解我 也信任我 |
[1:03:30] | Many’s the time I prevented her doing a foolish thing. | 有很多次 我都 避免了她做出蠢事 |
[1:03:33] | Please tell us in your own words | 请你用自己的话为我们 |
[1:03:35] | about the events of the evening of October 14. | 描述一下10月14日晚上发生的事 |
[1:03:39] | It was a Friday and my night out. | 那天是星期五 是我外出的日子 |
[1:03:41] | I was going to see my niece at Glenister Road | 我要去我侄女家 在格伦尼斯特街 |
[1:03:43] | which is about five minutes’ walk. I left the house at half past seven. | 走过去大概五分钟 我是七点半离开家的 |
[1:03:48] | I promised to take her a dress pattern that she admired. | 我答应过把她喜欢 一款衣服的图样带给她 |
[1:03:52] | -Och is this thing necessary? -An excellent question. | -啊 哦 这个有必要说吗 -问得好 |
[1:03:56] | However it has been installed at considerable expense to the taxpayers | 不过 既然我们已经动用了 纳税人提供的可观费用 |
[1:04:00] | so let us take advantage of it. Please continue. | 我们还是物尽其用吧 请说下去 |
[1:04:04] | Well when I got to my niece’s I found I’d left the pattern behind. | 嗯 我走到我侄女家的时候 我发现我忘了拿图样 |
[1:04:08] | So after supper I slipped back to get it as it was no distance. | 所以晚饭后我又 跑回去拿 反正路不远 |
[1:04:12] | I got back to the house at 25 past 9. | 我回到家的时候是21:25 |
[1:04:15] | I let myself in and went upstairs to my room. | 我自己开门 准备 上楼去我自己的房间 |
[1:04:18] | As I passed the sitting room | 当我经过客厅门口时 |
[1:04:20] | I heard the prisoner in there talking to Mrs French. | 我听到犯人在里面同弗伦奇太太说话 |
[1:04:23] | No it wasn’t me! It wasn’t my voice! | 不 那不是我 那不是我在说话 |
[1:04:27] | Talking and laughing they were. | 他们有说有笑的 |
[1:04:29] | But it was no business of mine so I went upstairs to fetch my pattern. | 不过那不关我的事 所以我就跑上楼去拿我的图样 |
[1:04:33] | Now let us be very exact as to the time. | 嗯 让我们把时间 再界定得准确一些 |
[1:04:37] | You say that you re-entered the house at 25 past 9? | 你说你回到家 的时候是21:25 |
[1:04:41] | Aye. The pattern was on a shelf in my room | 对 图样是放在我房间里的 |
[1:04:42] | next to my clock | 一个架子上的旁边就是我的钟 |
[1:04:44] | so I saw the time. | 所以我看到了时间 |
[1:04:45] | -And it was 25 past 9. -Go on please. | -那时就是21:25 -请说下去吧 |
[1:04:50] | I went back to my niece. | 然后我回去找我侄女 |
[1:04:52] | Och she was delighted with the pattern. Si… | 啊哦 她看到图样高兴极了 真… |
[1:04:58] | Simply delighted. I stayed until 20 to 11 | 真是高兴极了 我一直 待到22:40 |
[1:05:02] | then I said good night and I come home. | 然后道晚安 回家 |
[1:05:04] | I went into the sitting room to see if the mistress wanted anything | 我走进客厅 想看看女主人在上床前 |
[1:05:08] | before she went to bed. | 还有没有什么吩咐 |
[1:05:10] | And there she was dead. And everything tossed hither and thither. | 结果 我看到她已经死了 东西都七零八落地散在地上 |
[1:05:15] | Did you really think that a burglary had been committed? | 当时你是否真的觉得 那是入室抢劫犯干的 |
[1:05:18] | My lord I must protest! | 法官大人 我必须提出反对 |
[1:05:20] | I will not allow that question to be answered Mr Myers. | 我不允许证人回答 这个问题 梅耶斯先生 |
[1:05:24] | Miss McKenzie were you aware that Leonard Vole | 麦肯锡小姐 你是否知道 |
[1:05:26] | was a married man? | 伦纳德·沃尔是个有妇之夫 |
[1:05:28] | No indeed. And neither was the mistress. | 完全不知道 女主人也不知道 |
[1:05:31] | -Janet! -My lord I must object. | -珍妮特 -法官大人 我必须反对 |
[1:05:34] | What Mrs French knew or did not know | 弗伦奇太太知道还是不知道 |
[1:05:36] | is pure conjecture on Janet McKenzie’s part. | 这完全是珍妮特·麦肯锡的想象 |
[1:05:40] | Let me put it this way. You formed the opinion | 我换个说法吧 在你看来 |
[1:05:43] | that Mrs French thought Leonard Vole was a single man? | 弗伦奇太太认为 伦纳德·沃尔是个单身汉 |
[1:05:46] | -Have you any facts to support this? -The books that she ordered. | -你有没有什么佐证来支持你的观点 -她借来的书 |
[1:05:50] | A life of the Baroness Burdett-Coutts | 有伯德特-库茨女男爵的传记 |
[1:05:52] | and the one about Disraeli and his wife. | 还有一本是关于迪斯雷利和他的妻子 |
[1:05:55] | Both of them about women | 两本书说的都是女人 |
[1:05:57] | that married men years younger than themselves. Oh! | 嫁给了比自己小很多的男人 哦 |
[1:05:59] | -I knew what she was thinking. -I’m afraid we cannot admit that. | -我知道她在想什么 -恐怕我不敢苟同 |
[1:06:03] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:06:06] | Members of the jury it is possible for a woman to read The Life of Disraeli | 各位陪审员 一个读 迪斯雷利传记的女人 |
[1:06:11] | without contemplating marriage with a man younger than herself. | 未必就是在盘算着 嫁给比自己小的男人 |
[1:06:17] | Were you aware of the arrangements | 麦肯锡小姐 你是否知道 |
[1:06:20] | Mrs French made to dispose of her money? | 弗伦奇太太对自己的财产作了安排 |
[1:06:23] | She had her old will revoked and a new one drawn up. | 她废除了她的老遗嘱 重新立了一份新的 |
[1:06:26] | I heard her calling Mr Stokes her solicitor. | 我听到她给她的法律顾问 斯多克斯先生打电话了 |
[1:06:29] | He was there at the time. The prisoner I mean. | 他一直在场 我是说 犯人 |
[1:06:32] | You heard Mrs French and the prisoner discussing her new will? | 你听到弗伦奇太太 在跟犯人讨论她的遗嘱 |
[1:06:36] | Yes. He was to have all her money she told him | 是的 她告诉他 所有财产都会留给他 |
[1:06:39] | as she had no near relations nor anybody that meant to her what he did. | 因为她没有近亲 也没有别人比他更重要了 |
[1:06:44] | -When did this take place? -On October 8. | -那是什么时候的事 -10月8日 |
[1:06:47] | One week to the day before she was murdered. | 就是她被杀前整整一周 |
[1:06:51] | Thank you. That concludes my examination. | 谢谢你 我的问话完毕 |
[1:06:55] | Not just yet Miss McKenzie. | 还没好呢 麦肯锡小姐 |
[1:06:58] | Would you…? Thank you. | 请你…谢谢 |
[1:07:02] | Miss McKenzie you have given evidence about two wills. | 麦肯锡小姐 你的 证词中提到了两份遗嘱 |
[1:07:06] | In the old will that which was revoked | 在那份被废除的老遗嘱中 |
[1:07:08] | were you not to receive the bulk of Mrs French’s estate? | 应得到弗伦奇太太 大部分财产的人是你 对吗 |
[1:07:12] | That’s so. | 对 是这样 |
[1:07:14] | Whereas in the new will except for a bequest to you of a small annuity | 然而在新的遗嘱里 除了一小笔遗赠是留给你的之外 |
[1:07:18] | the principal beneficiary is the prisoner Leonard Vole. | 最大的受益人变成了 犯人-伦纳德·沃尔 |
[1:07:22] | It’ll be a wicked injustice if he ever touches a penny of that money. | 他摸到哪怕一便士 都是道义的沦丧 |
[1:07:26] | It is entirely understandable that you are antagonistic to the prisoner. | 我完全能够理解 你为什么要敌视犯人 |
[1:07:30] | I’m not antagonistic to him. | 我没有敌视他 |
[1:07:33] | He’s a shiftless scheming rascal. But I’m not antagonistic to him. | 他是个无能而诡计多端的无赖 但是我并没有敌视他 |
[1:07:38] | I suggest you formed this opinion | 我猜你抱有这样的看法完全是 |
[1:07:40] | because his friendship with Mrs French cost you the bulk of her estate. | 因为他与弗伦奇太太的友谊牺牲掉了你的得益 |
[1:07:44] | -I’ve never liked him. -Your candour is refreshing. | -我从来都不喜欢他 -你的直率值得欣赏 |
[1:07:48] | Now. On the night of October 14 | 那么 你说10月14日晚上 |
[1:07:51] | you say you heard the prisoner and Mrs French talking together. | 你听到犯人在同弗伦奇太太说话 |
[1:07:55] | -What did you hear them say? -I didn’t hear what they actually said. | -你听到他们在说什么 -我没有听他们具体在说什么 |
[1:07:58] | You mean you only heard the voices? | 你是说你只听见了说话声 |
[1:08:01] | -The murmur of voices? -They were laughing. | -低沉的说话声 -他们在笑 |
[1:08:04] | What makes you say the man’s voice was Leonard Vole’s? | 为什么你说那个男人 的声音是伦纳德·沃尔的 |
[1:08:07] | -I know his voice well enough. -The door was closed was it not? | -我很熟悉他的声音 -门是关着的对吗 |
[1:08:12] | -Aye that’s so. -You were in a hurry to get the pattern | -对没错 -你急着回去拿图样 |
[1:08:15] | so you probably walked quickly past the closed door | 所以你想必是 匆匆地走过了那扇房门 |
[1:08:18] | yet you are sure you heard Leonard Vole’s voice? | 而你却一口咬定 你听见的是伦纳德·沃尔的声音 |
[1:08:21] | I was there long enough to hear what I heard. | 我从门口经过的时间足够 我听清楚我听到的是什么 |
[1:08:24] | Come I’m sure | 好啦 麦肯锡小姐 我想 |
[1:08:27] | you don’t wish to suggest to the jury that you were eavesdropping. | 你并不希望陪审团认为你是在偷听 |
[1:08:30] | It was him in there. Who else could it have been? | 屋里那个人就是他 还能是谁 |
[1:08:33] | What you mean is | 你的意思其实就是 |
[1:08:35] | that you wanted it to be him. That’s the way your mind worked. | 你希望 那是他 这就是你的思路 |
[1:08:38] | Now tell me did Mrs French | 好了 告诉我 弗伦奇太太 |
[1:08:40] | sometimes watch television in the evening? | 晚上有时候是不是会看电视 |
[1:08:42] | Yes. She was fond of a talk or a good play. | 是的 她很喜欢 谈话节目 或者好的电视剧 |
[1:08:45] | Wasn’t it possible when you returned home and passed the door | 那么 当晚你回家走过 那扇房门的时候 |
[1:08:48] | what you really heard was the television | 会不会听见的是 电视机里的声音 |
[1:08:51] | and a man and woman’s voices and laughter? | 恰好是一个男人和 一个女人在有说有笑 |
[1:08:53] | There was a play called Lover’s Leap on the television that night. | 那天晚上正好播了一部 电视剧 叫做《情人之跃》 |
[1:08:59] | -It was not the television. -Oh why not? | -肯定不是电视 -哦 为什么 |
[1:09:03] | Because the television was away being repaired that week that’s why. | 因为那个星期电视机 送出去修理了 这就是为什么 |
[1:09:19] | Silence! Silence! | 肃静 肃静 |
[1:09:23] | Odd. It’s not time yet. | 真奇怪 时间还没到呢 |
[1:09:26] | If my learned friend has no further questions I’d like… | 如果我博学的朋友 没有别的问题了 那我… |
[1:09:29] | I have not quite finished. | 我还没有问完 |
[1:09:32] | You are registered are you not under the National Health Insurance Act? | 你是否参加了国民健康保险 |
[1:09:37] | Aye that’s so. Four and sixpence I pay out every week. | 对 没错 我每星期要付四先令六便士 |
[1:09:41] | That’s a terrible lot of money for a working woman to pay. | 对我这样一个劳动妇女来说 那可是一大笔钱 |
[1:09:44] | I am sure that many agree with you. | 我相信很多人都同意你的观点 |
[1:09:47] | Miss McKenzie did you | 那么 麦肯锡小姐 |
[1:09:49] | recently apply to the National Health Insurance for… | 你最近是否 向国民健康保险申请了… |
[1:09:54] | -…a hearing aid? -For…for what? | -一个助听器 -申请了…什么 |
[1:09:57] | I protest against the way in which this question was put! | 法官大人 我抗议这种提问方式 |
[1:10:01] | I will repeat the question my lord. | 我重复一下我的问题 法官大人 |
[1:10:04] | I asked you in a normal tone of voice audible to everyone in open court | 我以正常的音量问你 法庭上的所有人都可以听见 |
[1:10:10] | did you apply to the National Health Insurance for a hearing aid? | 你是否向国民健康保险 申请了一个助听器 |
[1:10:15] | Yes I did. | 是的 没错 |
[1:10:16] | -Did you get it? -Not yet. | -你拿到了吗 -还没有 |
[1:10:19] | However you state that you walked past a door | 可是 你却说你走过一扇房门 |
[1:10:22] | which is four inches of solid oak | 隔着四英寸厚的木板 |
[1:10:24] | you heard voices and you are willing to swear | 听到了有人说话 而且你发誓说 |
[1:10:27] | that you could distinguish the voice of… | 那个说话的人就是… |
[1:10:31] | …the prisoner Leonard Vole. | …犯人伦纳德·沃尔 |
[1:10:33] | Who? Who? | 是谁 是谁 |
[1:10:36] | No further questions. | 没有别的问题了 |
[1:10:41] | Och maybe you could help me Your Lordship. | 啊哦 也许你可以帮我 法官大人 |
[1:10:43] | Six months ago I applied for my hearing aid and I’m still waiting for it. | 六个月前我就申请了 助听器 直到现在都没拿到 |
[1:10:47] | My dear Miss McKenzie considering the rubbish that is being talked nowadays | 亲爱的麦肯锡小姐 鉴于这年月人们总是废话连篇 |
[1:10:52] | you are missing very little. You may stand down now. | 你并没有错过很多 你可以离开了 |
[1:10:58] | Call Police Constable Jeffries. | 传杰弗瑞警士 |
[1:11:01] | -Police Constable Jeffries. -Police Constable Jeffries. | -杰弗瑞警士 -杰弗瑞警士 |
[1:11:16] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give | 我向万能的上帝起誓 我提供的证词将是事实 |
[1:11:19] | shall be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. | 完完全全的事实 除了事实别无其它 |
[1:11:38] | Mr Myers does that conclude your case? | 梅耶斯先生 你的传讯是否完毕了 |
[1:11:41] | No my lord. | 没有 法官大人 |
[1:11:42] | I now call the final witness for the prosecution Christine Helm. | 我现在要传唤 最后一位控方证人 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:11:46] | -Christine Helm! -Christine Helm. | -克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 -克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:12:01] | Christine. | 克莉丝汀 |
[1:12:14] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give | 我向万能的上帝起誓 我提供的证词将是事实 |
[1:12:17] | shall be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. | 完完全全的事实 除了事实别无其它 |
[1:12:21] | My lord I have the most serious objection | 法官大人 我要提出最强烈的反对 |
[1:12:23] | to this witness being summoned as she is the wife of the prisoner. | 这位证人没有资格做控方证人 她是犯人的妻子 |
[1:12:28] | I call my learned friend’s attention | 我要请我博学的朋友注意 |
[1:12:30] | to the fact that I summoned not Mrs Vole but Mrs Helm. | 我传唤的并不是 沃尔太太 而是赫尔姆太太 |
[1:12:34] | Your name in fact is Christine Helm? | 你的名字是克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:12:37] | Yes. Christine Helm. | 是的 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:12:39] | And you have been living as the wife | 你以妻子的身份与犯人 |
[1:12:40] | of the prisoner Leonard Vole? | 伦纳德·沃尔同居 是不是 |
[1:12:42] | -Yes. -Are you actually his wife? | -是的 -实际上你是他的妻子吗 |
[1:12:46] | No. | 不是 |
[1:12:47] | I went through a marriage ceremony with him | 我跟他在汉堡履行过结婚手续 |
[1:12:50] | but I already had a husband. | 但是我之前已经有一个丈夫了 |
[1:12:52] | -He’s still alive. -Christine that’s not true! | -他还活着 -克莉丝汀这不是真的 |
[1:12:55] | There is proof of a marriage between the witness and the prisoner | 法官大人 我们有证据证明 证人和犯人之间的婚姻 |
[1:12:58] | but is there any proof of a so-called | 请问那桩所谓的”之前的” |
[1:13:00] | previous marriage? | 婚姻有没有证据可以证明 |
[1:13:01] | My lord the so-called previous marriage is in fact well-documented. | 法官大人这桩所谓的"之前的"婚姻有充分的文件证明 |
[1:13:07] | Mrs Helm is this | 赫尔姆太太 |
[1:13:09] | a certificate of marriage between yourself and Otto Ludwig Helm | 这是你与奥托·路德 维格·赫尔姆的结婚证吗 |
[1:13:13] | the ceremony having taken place in Breslau on 18 April 1942? | 注册地点是布雷斯劳 时间是1942年4月18日 |
[1:13:18] | Yes that is the paper of my marriage. | 是的 这是我的结婚证 |
[1:13:21] | I don’t see any reason why | 我看没有任何理由 |
[1:13:24] | this witness should not be qualified to give evidence. | 表明证人不具备作证资格 |
[1:13:31] | You’re willing to give evidence against | 赫尔姆太太 对于这个被你称为丈夫的人 |
[1:13:34] | the man you’ve been calling your husband? | 你愿意提供不利于他的证词吗 |
[1:13:36] | Yes. | 愿意 |
[1:13:38] | You stated to the police that on the night that Mrs French was murdered | 你曾经对警方声称 弗伦奇太太被杀当晚 |
[1:13:42] | Leonard Vole left the house at 7.30 and returned at 25 minutes past 9. | 伦纳德·沃尔是在19:30离开家 21:25回到家 |
[1:13:47] | Did he in fact return at 25 past 9? | 那么他实际上是在21:25回来的吗 |
[1:13:52] | No. He returned at ten minutes past ten. | 不是 他是22:10回来的 |
[1:13:55] | Christine what are you saying? | 克莉丝汀 你在说什么呀 |
[1:13:57] | It’s not true. You know it’s not true! | 这不是真的 你知道这不是真的 |
[1:14:03] | Silence! | 肃静 |
[1:14:05] | I must have silence. | 庭上务必肃静 |
[1:14:09] | As your counsel will tell you Vole you will very shortly | 你的辩护律师会告诉你 沃尔 很快你就有机会 |
[1:14:12] | have an opportunity of speaking in your own defence. | 出场为自己辩护了 |
[1:14:15] | Leonard Vole returned you say at ten minutes past ten. | 你说 伦纳德·沃尔 是在22:10到家的 |
[1:14:19] | -And what happened next? -He was breathing hard very excited. | -然后呢 -他气喘吁吁 非常激动 |
[1:14:23] | He threw off his coat and examined the sleeves. | 他脱下外衣 看了看袖口 |
[1:14:26] | Then he told me to wash the cuffs. | 然后他叫我 把袖口洗一洗 |
[1:14:28] | -They had blood on them. -Go on. | -上面有血迹 -说下去 |
[1:14:30] | -I said “What have you done?” -What did the prisoner say? | -我问 “伦纳德你做了什么” -犯人怎么说 |
[1:14:34] | He said “I’ve killed her.” | 他说 “我杀了她” |
[1:14:36] | Christine! Why are you lying? Why are you saying these things? | 克莉丝汀 你为什么要撒谎 你为什么要这么说 |
[1:14:41] | -What an awful woman. -She’s evil. I’ve known it all along. | -多可怕的女人 -她坏透了我早看出来了 |
[1:14:48] | If the defence so desires I will adjourn for a short time | 如果辩方需要的话 我可以休庭片刻 |
[1:14:52] | so that the prisoner may gain control of himself. | 以便于犯人恢复自制 |
[1:14:55] | My lord is most gracious but pray let the witness continue. | 多谢法官大人的体贴 不过请证人继续吧 |
[1:14:59] | We are all of us caught up in the suspense of this horror fiction. | 我们都等着观赏 这部恐怖小说的悬念揭晓 |
[1:15:03] | To have to hear it in instalments might prove unendurable. | 这时候中断恐怕 会让人心痒难耐 |
[1:15:07] | -Proceed Mr Myers. -Mrs Helm | -继续吧 梅耶斯先生 -赫尔姆太太 |
[1:15:10] | when the prisoner said “I have killed her” | 当犯人说”我杀了她”的时候 |
[1:15:13] | did you know to whom he referred? | 你知道他说的是谁吗 |
[1:15:15] | It was that woman he had been seeing so often. | 我知道就是他经常 去见的那个女人 |
[1:15:18] | When questioned by the police you told them | 警方向你问话的时候 |
[1:15:20] | that the prisoner returned at 9.25. | 你告诉他们犯人是21:25到家的 |
[1:15:23] | Yes. Because Leonard asked me to say that. | 是的 因为伦纳德 要我这么说 |
[1:15:25] | But you’ve changed your story now. Why? | 但是你现在改变了说法 为什么 |
[1:15:28] | I cannot go on lying to save him. | 我不能再为了救他而撒谎了 |
[1:15:30] | I said to the police what he wanted because I’m grateful to him. | 他要我对警方说的话 我都说了 因为我感激他 |
[1:15:33] | He married me and brought me to this country. | 他娶了我 把我带到这个国家 |
[1:15:36] | What he has asked me to do I have because I was grateful. | 但凡他要我做什么我都做了 因为我感激他 |
[1:15:39] | It was not because he was your husband and you loved him? | 这并不是因为他是 你的丈夫 以及你爱他 |
[1:15:43] | I never loved him. | 我从来没爱过他 |
[1:15:45] | It was gratitude then that prompted you to give him an alibi | 那么 完全是出于感激 你才在警方问话时 |
[1:15:49] | -in your statement to the police? -That is it. Exactly. | -提供了他的不在场证明 -就是这样一点不错 |
[1:15:52] | -But now you think it was wrong to do so. -Because it is murder. | -但是现在你觉得那样做是错误的 -因为这是谋杀 |
[1:15:56] | That woman she was a harmless old fool | 那个女人是个毫无危害的老糊涂 |
[1:15:58] | and he makes of me an accomplice to the murder. | 他这样做是使我 成为了谋杀案的同谋 |
[1:16:01] | I cannot come into court and swear | 我不能在法庭上宣誓说 |
[1:16:03] | that he was with me at the time it was done. | 谋杀案发生的时候他跟我在一起 |
[1:16:05] | I cannot do it! I cannot do it! | 我不能这么干 我不能这么干 |
[1:16:08] | Then this is the truth? | 那么说 |
[1:16:10] | That Leonard Vole returned that night at ten minutes past ten | 伦纳德·沃尔 是在22:10回到家 |
[1:16:14] | he had blood on the sleeves of his coat | 袖口上还沾着血 |
[1:16:16] | and that he said to you “I have killed her”? | 他告诉你 “我杀了她” 这是事实吗 |
[1:16:22] | That is the truth. | 这是事实 |
[1:16:24] | That is the truth before God? | 这是事实 你向上帝起誓 |
[1:16:27] | That is the truth. | 这是事实 |
[1:16:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[1:16:37] | Mrs Vole or Mrs Helm which do you prefer to be called? | 沃尔太太 或者赫尔姆太太 你更喜欢哪个称呼 |
[1:16:40] | -It does not matter. -Does it not? | -这无关紧要 -这无关紧要吗 |
[1:16:43] | In this country | 在这个国家 |
[1:16:44] | we are inclined to take a rather more serious view of marriage. | 我们把婚姻看作很严肃的事 |
[1:16:47] | However it would appear that when you first met the prisoner in Hamburg | 然而赫尔姆太太 当你在汉堡第一次见到犯人的时候 |
[1:16:52] | you lied to him about your marital status. | 你撒谎说你没有结过婚 |
[1:16:54] | I wanted to get out of Germany so… | 我想离开德国所以… |
[1:16:57] | You lied did you not? Just yes or no please. | 你撒谎了 对吗 只要说是或不是 谢谢 |
[1:17:00] | -Yes. -Thank you. | -是的 -谢谢 |
[1:17:02] | And in arranging the marriage you lied to the authorities? | 在办理结婚手续的时候 你对政府部门撒谎了 |
[1:17:05] | I um did not tell the truth to the authorities. | 我 嗯 向政府 部门隐瞒了实情 |
[1:17:08] | -You lied to them? -Yes. | -你对他们撒谎了 -是的 |
[1:17:11] | And in the ceremony when you swore | 在举行结婚典礼的时候 你宣誓说 |
[1:17:13] | to love honour and cherish your husband | 你爱你丈夫 尊敬他 珍视他 |
[1:17:15] | -that too was a lie? -Yes. | -你又一次撒谎了 -是的 |
[1:17:18] | And when the police questioned you about this wretched man | 当警察向你问起这个自以为结了婚 |
[1:17:21] | who believed himself married and loved | 有人爱的可怜男人的时候 |
[1:17:24] | -you told them… -I told them what he wanted me to. | -你告诉他们…-我告诉他们的都是伦纳德要我说的 |
[1:17:26] | You told them that he was | 你告诉他们 21:25时 |
[1:17:29] | at home with you at 25 minutes past 9 | 他已经到家 跟你在一起 |
[1:17:30] | -and now you say that that was a lie? -Yes a lie! | -而现在你却说那是谎言 -是的 谎言 |
[1:17:35] | And when you said that he had accidentally cut | 那么当你说他是不小心割伤了 |
[1:17:37] | his wrist again you lied? | 自己的手腕时 你又一次撒谎了 |
[1:17:39] | -Yes! -And today you told a new story entirely. | -是的 -而今天你却来了个天翻地覆 |
[1:17:44] | The question is Frau Helm | 赫尔姆太太 问题在于 |
[1:17:46] | were you lying then are you lying now? | 你究竟是当时在撒谎 还是现在在撒谎 |
[1:17:48] | Or are you not in fact | 或者 你干脆就是个 |
[1:17:50] | a chronic and habitual liar?! | 积习已深 说谎成性的骗子 |
[1:17:55] | Carter Carter! The other pill. Under the tongue. | 卡特 卡特 另外那种药片 放舌头下面 |
[1:18:00] | My lord is my learned friend | 法官大人 我博学的朋友 |
[1:18:02] | to be allowed to bully and insult the witness? | 怎么可以如此威逼 侮辱证人 |
[1:18:04] | Mr Myers this is a capital charge and within the bounds of reason | 梅耶斯先生 这个控诉至关重要 只要在尺度范围之内 |
[1:18:09] | I should like the defence to have every latitude. | 我可以给予辩方 充分的言论自由 |
[1:18:16] | My lord may I also remind my learned friend | 法官大人 请允许 我提醒我博学的朋友 |
[1:18:19] | that his witness by her own admission has already violated so many oaths | 他的证人承认自己 曾经那么多次地背弃誓言 |
[1:18:23] | that I am surprised the Testament did not leap from her hand | 如果说她今天作证时并没有把宣誓当成一回事 |
[1:18:27] | when she was sworn here today. | 我也毫不惊讶 |
[1:18:30] | I doubt if anything is to be gained by questioning you any further. | 我认为继续询问 任何问题都是毫无意义的 |
[1:18:34] | That will be all Frau Helm. | 我的提问到此为止 赫尔姆太太 |
[1:18:41] | Mrs Helm I presume you know | 赫尔姆太太 我想你应该 知道 |
[1:18:44] | the meaning of the English word “perjury”? | “伪证”这个英语单词的意思 |
[1:18:46] | In German the word is Meineid. | 在德语里面这个单词是”Meineid” |
[1:18:48] | Yes. Meineid. | 是的”Meineid” |
[1:18:49] | It means to swear falsely under oath. | 意思是虚假地宣誓并作证 |
[1:18:52] | And are you aware Mrs Helm | 那么你是否清楚 赫尔姆太太 |
[1:18:54] | that the penalty in this country for perjury is a heavy term | 在这个国家对于伪证罪的惩罚是很重的 |
[1:18:58] | of imprisonment? | 可判入狱 |
[1:18:59] | Yes I’m aware. | 是的 我很清楚 |
[1:19:01] | Mindful of this fact | 基于对伪证罪的了解 |
[1:19:03] | I ask you once more is the evidence that you have given | 我再问你一次 你所提供的证词 |
[1:19:06] | the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth? | 是否是事实 完完全 的事实 除了事实别无其它 |
[1:19:10] | So help me God. | 上帝可鉴 |
[1:19:13] | Then that my lord is the case for the prosecution. | 好 法官大人 控方的传讯完毕 |
[1:19:35] | -Want a tissue? -Yes thanks. | -要纸巾吗 -好的 谢谢 |
[1:19:39] | It’s the first murder trial I’ve ever been to. It’s terrible. | 这是我第一次旁听 谋杀案审判 太可怕了 |
[1:19:44] | Silence. | 肃静 |
[1:19:47] | Sir Wilfrid. Are you ready for the defence? | 威尔弗莱德爵士 你准备好作辩方陈述了吗 |
[1:19:53] | My lord members of the jury | 法官大人 各位陪审员 |
[1:19:57] | the prosecution has very ably presented against the prisoner Leonard Vole | 控方十分巧妙地对 犯人伦纳德·沃尔提出了控诉 |
[1:20:02] | a case with the most overwhelming circumstantial evidence. | 给出了具有 压倒性的间接证据 |
[1:20:07] | Among the witnesses you have heard Chief Inspector Hearne | 我们听到了 赫恩总警巡的证词 |
[1:20:10] | who has given his testimony in a fair and impartial manner as he always does. | 一如往常 他的证词 公正而不偏不倚 |
[1:20:16] | He has put before you a clever theory of how this crime was committed. | 他很聪明地向我们 阐述了关于犯罪经过的推论 |
[1:20:21] | Whether it is theory or actual fact however | 然而 这究竟只是推论 还是事实 |
[1:20:25] | you will decide for yourselves. | 将由你们自己来判断 |
[1:20:28] | And then you have heard the evidence of Janet McKenzie | 然后你们听到了 珍妮特·麦肯锡的证词 |
[1:20:32] | a worthy and devoted housekeeper | 她是个可敬而忠心耿耿的女管家 |
[1:20:34] | who has suffered two most grievous losses. | 却因蒙受了重大损失而饱受其苦 |
[1:20:36] | One the death of her beloved mistress | 首先 是因为痛失了 她热爱的女主人 |
[1:20:38] | and second in being deprived of an inheritance of L80000 | 其次 则是因为被剥夺了 八万英镑的继承权 |
[1:20:44] | which she’d fully expected to receive. | 对此她曾抱有满心的希望 |
[1:20:47] | I will not comment further on her evidence | 我不想对她的证词作过多的评论 |
[1:20:52] | but will express only my deepest sympathy for her | 只想对她表示我深深的同情 |
[1:20:56] | in both these…mishaps. | 为这两大…飞来横祸 |
[1:21:00] | And most damaging of all | 然而最具有杀伤力的 |
[1:21:02] | the prosecution has produced a surprise witness | 则是控方 传唤的一位出人意料的证人 |
[1:21:06] | one Christine Helm | 叫做克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:21:08] | whom the prisoner brought from the rubble of her homeland | 正是犯人 把她从故国的瓦砾丛中 |
[1:21:11] | to the safety of this country | 带到这个国家 给了她爱 |
[1:21:13] | giving her his love and the protection of his name. | 以自己的姓氏为她提供了保护 |
[1:21:15] | I objected to her testimony because a wife cannot give evidence | 我反对她出庭作证 因为一个妻子不能 |
[1:21:19] | harmful to her husband. | 提供有损于其丈夫的证词 |
[1:21:22] | But it has been proven | 但是事实证明 |
[1:21:24] | that her marriage to Mr Vole was fraudulent and bigamous. | 她与伦纳德·沃尔的婚姻是一场骗局 是重婚 |
[1:21:29] | Therefore her evidence must be admitted | 因此 她的证词必须被视为有效 |
[1:21:33] | and you must consider it. | 而你们则必须认真考虑 |
[1:21:35] | For what it is worth. | 究竟什么才是事实 |
[1:21:40] | Such is the prosecution’s case. Now it is the turn of the defence. | 以上就是控方的论述 现在该轮到辩方了 |
[1:21:44] | We could present | 作为犯人的代表 |
[1:21:45] | on behalf of the prisoner witnesses to his character | 我们完全可以 传唤证人来证明他的人品 |
[1:21:48] | his war record the lack of criminal | 他的服役记录 他从无违法犯罪记录 |
[1:21:51] | or evil association in his past. | 及其他恶劣行为的过往表现 |
[1:21:52] | However only one witness can shed new light | 然而 只有一位证人才能更清晰地 |
[1:21:58] | on this tragic riddle. | 为我们揭示这场悲剧的真相 |
[1:22:02] | The prisoner himself. | 那就是犯人本人 |
[1:22:06] | Members of the jury | 各位陪审员 |
[1:22:08] | I call Leonard Stephen Vole. | 我要传唤 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 |
[1:22:31] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I give will be the truth | 我向万能的上帝起誓 我提供的证词将是事实 |
[1:22:34] | -the whole truth and nothing but the truth. -No. | -完完全全的事实 除了事实别无其它 -不要 |
[1:22:39] | -Is your name Leonard Stephen Vole? -It is. | -你的姓名是伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 -对 |
[1:22:43] | -Where do live? -620 Edgware Road. | -你的住址是 -爱德华尔路620号 |
[1:22:46] | Leonard Stephen Vole did you or did you not on the night of October 14 last | 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 你是否在10月14日的晚上 |
[1:22:52] | murder Emily Jane French? | 杀害了埃米莉·简·弗伦奇 |
[1:22:54] | -I did not. -Thank you that will be all. | -我没有 -谢谢你 我问完了 |
[1:23:01] | Have you in fact concluded your examination of the prisoner | 你对犯人的提问真的 完毕了吗 |
[1:23:04] | Sir Wilfrid? | 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:23:05] | The prisoner has endured three days of profound mental agony and shock. | 法官大人 犯人已经忍受了 三天的心理折磨和惊扰 |
[1:23:11] | The defence feels his faculties should be spared | 辩方认为他应该集中精力来 |
[1:23:13] | for the cross-examination by my learned friend for the prosecution. | 面对我博学的控方朋友的盘问 |
[1:23:17] | This is not a plea for any indulgence. | 我并不是在祈求宽待 |
[1:23:20] | I am confident that no matter how searching this may be | 我非常确信 任何的质询 |
[1:23:23] | the prisoner will withstand it. | 犯人都可以面对 |
[1:23:27] | At the time you made the acquaintance of Mrs French | 沃尔先生 你认识 弗伦奇太太的时候 |
[1:23:30] | were you employed? | 有没有工作 |
[1:23:31] | -No sir. -How much money did you have? | -没有 先生 -你当时有多少钱 |
[1:23:33] | -A few pounds. -Did she give you any? | -没多少 -她有没有给你钱 |
[1:23:36] | No. | 没有 |
[1:23:37] | -Did you expect to receive any? -No sir. | -你指望问她要钱吗 -没有 先生 |
[1:23:39] | Did you know that in her new will you were the beneficiary of L80000? | 你是否知道根据她的新遗嘱 你可以得到八万英镑 |
[1:23:44] | No I didn’t. | 不 我不知道 |
[1:23:45] | Now Mr Vole when you went | 好 沃尔先生 你最后一次 |
[1:23:48] | to visit Mrs French for the last time | 去拜访弗伦奇太太的时候 |
[1:23:50] | did you wear a trench coat and a brown hat? | 是不是穿这件上衣 戴这顶帽子 |
[1:23:55] | -Yes I did. -Was it this coat and hat? | -是的 没错 -衣服和帽子都对 |
[1:24:00] | Yes sir. | 对 先生 |
[1:24:01] | My lord the defence in its efforts to establish an alibi for the prisoner | 法官大人 辩方曾致力于 为犯人建立不在场证明 |
[1:24:06] | circulated this photograph hoping to bring forth a witness | 因此传播了这张照片 希望能找到某个证人 |
[1:24:10] | who had seen him leaving Mrs French’s house or entering his own | 以证明犯人是在他所说的时间 |
[1:24:13] | at the times that he has stated. | 离开弗伦奇太太家 并走回自己家 |
[1:24:16] | Apparently this splendid effort was without results. | 显然 这项值得称道 的努力并没有结果 |
[1:24:19] | However the defence will be pleased to learn | 然而 值得辩方高兴的是 |
[1:24:22] | that at the last moment a witness has come forward | 就在最后一刻 有一位证人出现了 |
[1:24:25] | and that the prisoner had been seen wearing this coat and this hat. | 声称看到了犯人 穿这件衣服 戴这顶帽子 |
[1:24:30] | Lamentably he had not been seen on the night of the murder | 可令人伤心的是 他并不是案发当晚看到的证人 |
[1:24:34] | but one week before. | 而是在案发前一星期看到的 |
[1:24:36] | On the afternoon of October 8 were you not | 在10月8日下午 你是否去过 |
[1:24:38] | in a travel agency in Regent Street? | 摄政街上的一家旅行社 |
[1:24:40] | And did you not make inquiries about prices and schedules of foreign cruises? | 你是否在那里咨询过 国外旅行线路的价格 |
[1:24:44] | Supposing I did? It’s not a crime is it? | 我去过又如何呢 这也不犯法 对不对 |
[1:24:48] | Not at all. Many people go on a cruise | 当然不犯法 人们总是在 |
[1:24:50] | when they can afford to pay for it. | 负担得起的情况下才会出国旅游 |
[1:24:52] | But you couldn’t pay for it could you? | 可是你负担不起对吗 沃尔先生 |
[1:24:54] | Well I was hard up. I told you that. | 嗯 我很缺钱 我已经告诉你了 |
[1:24:57] | And yet you came to this particular | 而你却去了那家旅行社 |
[1:24:59] | travel agency with a clinging brunette? | 身边还有一个小鸟依人的黑发姑娘 |
[1:25:02] | A clinging brunette Mr Myers? | 小鸟依人的黑发姑娘 梅耶斯先生 |
[1:25:06] | My lord the lady was so described to me. | 法官大人 我所听到的 关于她的描述就是这样 |
[1:25:08] | She was very affectionate with the prisoner constantly clinging to his arm. | 她与犯人非常亲昵 一直挽着他的胳膊 |
[1:25:12] | Oh. | 哦 |
[1:25:15] | You then admit that you made inquiries | 那你是否承认你咨询过 |
[1:25:17] | about expensive and luxurious cruises? | 昂贵而豪华的出国旅行线路 |
[1:25:20] | How did you expect to pay for such a thing? | 你怎么可能负担得起 |
[1:25:22] | -I don’t know. It was… -If you don’t know perhaps I can help. | -我说不清当时…-如果你说不清 也许我可以帮你 |
[1:25:25] | On the morning of the very | 根据斯多克斯先生的说法 |
[1:25:27] | same day you heard Mrs French change her will | 就在那天上午 你听见弗伦奇太太说她修改了遗嘱 |
[1:25:30] | -leaving you the bulk of her money. -I didn’t! | -留给你一大笔钱 -我没有 遗嘱的事我根本… |
[1:25:32] | And in the afternoon you started plans to dispose of it. | 结果当天下午 你就开始盘算怎么用了 |
[1:25:36] | No! It was nothing of the kind. | 不 这是没有的事 |
[1:25:38] | I was in a pub and I met a girl. | 当时我在酒吧里认识了一个女孩 |
[1:25:40] | I don’t even remember her name. | 我连她的名字都不记得了 |
[1:25:41] | We had a drink and walked out together. | 我们一块儿喝了一杯 然后结伴走出去 |
[1:25:44] | We passed the window | 走过那个橱窗时 |
[1:25:45] | and saw the fancy posters | 我们看到了那些 令人着迷的海报 |
[1:25:48] | all blue seas and palm trees. | 全都是蓝色的大海和棕榈树 |
[1:25:50] | The Grecian isles or somewhere. | 是希腊岛屿之类的地方 |
[1:25:51] | We went in for fun and I started asking for folders. | 我们觉得好玩儿 就走了进去 我问他们要宣传资料 |
[1:25:55] | Well the man gave me a funny look | 结果 那个人用古怪的眼神看了我一眼 |
[1:25:58] | because I did look a bit shabby. | 大概是觉得我穿得有点寒酸 |
[1:25:59] | Anyway it irritated me | 反正 这激怒了我 |
[1:26:00] | so I kept asking for the swankiest tours | 我就继续 询问那些时髦的旅行计划 |
[1:26:03] | all de luxe | 全都是最豪华的 |
[1:26:04] | and cabin on the boat deck but it was just an act! | 甲板上的景观舱 不过这只是做做样子罢了 |
[1:26:06] | An act? You knew that in a week you were going to inherit L80000! | 做做样子 你知道一星期 后你将得到八万英镑 |
[1:26:11] | No! It wasn’t that way at all. | 不 绝对不是这样 听上去 |
[1:26:13] | It was make-believe and childish but… | 也许不可信 而且孩子气 可是… |
[1:26:15] | it was fun and I enjoyed it. | 那样做确实很有趣 |
[1:26:17] | I never thought of killing anyone or inheriting any money. | 我很自得其乐 我从没想过要杀掉什么人来继承遗产 |
[1:26:20] | It’s just a coincidence that Mrs French | 那么弗伦奇太太一星期后 |
[1:26:22] | should be killed only one week later? | 被杀害仅仅是惊人的巧合吗 |
[1:26:24] | I told you! I didn’t kill her! | 我告诉你了 我没有杀她 |
[1:26:27] | Do you know any reason why Christine Helm should give the evidence she has | 那你认为克莉丝汀·赫尔姆为什么要提供这样的证词 |
[1:26:31] | if it were not true? | 如果这不是真的 |
[1:26:33] | No. I don’t know why my wife… | 不知道我不知道我妻子为什么… |
[1:26:36] | I don’t know why I still call her my wife. | 我也不知道为什么还是把她称作我妻子 |
[1:26:39] | She must be lying or out of her mind. | 她一定是丧失了理智才这样撒谎 |
[1:26:41] | She seemed remarkably sane and self-possessed. | 她看起来很健全 也很镇定 |
[1:26:44] | But insanity is all you can suggest? | 可是精神错乱却成为你唯一能想到的理由 |
[1:26:47] | I don’t understand it. | 我也不明白 |
[1:26:49] | Oh God! What’s happened? What’s changed her? | 哦 上帝啊 这是怎么了 她怎么会变成这样 |
[1:26:51] | Very effective I’m sure. But in this court we deal with fact. | 非常动人 是啊 但是在法庭上我们只认事实 |
[1:26:55] | And the fact Mr Vole is that we’ve only your word for it. | 而事实就是 沃尔先生 我们只有你自己的说法 |
[1:26:58] | That you left Mrs French’s house at the time you say | 离开弗伦奇太太家的时间 是你自己说的 |
[1:27:02] | that you came home at 5 and 20 minutes past 9 | 你在17:00和21:20两次回到家 |
[1:27:04] | and that you did not go out again! | 而且没有再出门 这也是你自己说的 |
[1:27:06] | Somebody must have seen me in the street or going in the house! | 一定有人看到我 走在大街上 或者走进家门 |
[1:27:10] | One would think so. But the only person who did see you come home that night | 这是很自然的想法 但是唯一看到你回家的人 |
[1:27:14] | says it was ten past ten and that you had blood on your hands. | 说你是在22:10回到家 而且袖子上还有血 |
[1:27:18] | I cut my wrist! | 我割伤了自己的手腕 |
[1:27:19] | You cut your wrist deliberately! | 你是故意割伤了自己的手腕 |
[1:27:21] | No I didn’t! I didn’t do anything. | 不 我没有 我什么也没干 |
[1:27:23] | But you make it sound as though I did. | 可是被你一说 好像都是我干的 |
[1:27:25] | I can hear it myself. | 我自己听着都像… |
[1:27:26] | You came home at ten past ten! | 你是在22:10回到家的 |
[1:27:28] | No I didn’t! You’ve got to believe me. You’ve got to believe me! | 不 不是 你们必须相信我 你们必须相信我 |
[1:27:33] | You killed Emily French! | 你杀害了埃米莉·弗伦奇 |
[1:27:35] | No I didn’t! I didn’t do it! | 不 我没有 我没有 |
[1:27:38] | I didn’t kill her! I never killed anybody! | 我没有杀她 我从没杀过任何人 |
[1:27:42] | God it’s like a nightmare. Some ghastly horrible dream. | 上帝啊 这就像一个噩梦 邪恶 恐怖的噩梦 |
[1:27:52] | Good evening Sir Wilfrid. How did it go today? | 晚上好 威尔弗莱德爵士 今天怎么样 |
[1:27:54] | Oh Sir Wilfrid. | 哦 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:27:57] | I’m from Hawks and Hill sir | 我是霍克斯&希尔制衣店的 先生 |
[1:28:00] | and I’ve brought your Bermuda shorts for a fitting. | 我把您的百慕大短裤带来了 请您试穿 |
[1:28:03] | What? | 什么 |
[1:28:04] | You’d better slip these on Sir Wilfrid. | 您最好穿穿看威尔弗莱德爵士否则明天可来不及 |
[1:28:07] | I’m in the middle of a murder trial. | 我现在正忙着应付一桩谋杀案的审判 |
[1:28:09] | It’ll all be over by the afternoon | 明天下午就结束了 |
[1:28:11] | and the boat train doesn’t go until 9.40. | 去码头的火车明晚21:40出发 |
[1:28:13] | You work it out. | 你搞定这事儿吧 |
[1:28:14] | You know my shape you’ve stabbed it often enough. | 我的体型 你知道 你经常用针扎我 |
[1:28:17] | Upstairs. You need a lukewarm bath | 上楼吧 爵士 你该洗个温水澡 |
[1:28:20] | and your calcium injection. | 然后我帮你注射钙剂 |
[1:28:21] | And there’s a lot more packing to be done. | 哦 还有很多东西要打包 |
[1:28:25] | It’s ridiculous having boat reservations. | 现在就定好船票真荒谬 |
[1:28:27] | The jury may be out for days. | 陪审团达不成一致的话也可能延期 |
[1:28:30] | Not on this case I’m afraid. It seems too open-and-shut. | 这个案子恐怕不会似乎太一目了然了 |
[1:28:37] | I watched when Frau Helm was on the stand. They didn’t like her. | 赫尔姆太太作证的时候 我观察过 他们并不喜欢她 |
[1:28:40] | No but they believed her. | 是的 他们不喜欢她 |
[1:28:42] | They liked Leonard Vole but they didn’t believe him. | 但是相信她 他们喜欢伦纳德·沃尔 但是不相信他 |
[1:28:45] | And that travel agency business | 旅行社的事情也是雪上加霜 |
[1:28:47] | doesn’t help either. Cigar? | 要雪茄吗 威尔弗莱德 |
[1:28:48] | No. | 不要 |
[1:28:49] | Wilfrid do you think she lied? | 威尔弗莱德你觉得她是在说谎吗 |
[1:28:51] | Well don’t you? | 哦 你不觉得 |
[1:28:52] | I’m not sure. | 我不知道 我不确定 |
[1:28:54] | I am. She lied. | 我确定 她是在说谎 |
[1:28:55] | Whether she calls | 无论她管那叫作 |
[1:28:56] | it Meineid or perjury she lied. | 伪证还是”Meineid” 她说谎了 |
[1:28:57] | The only question is why. What’s her game? | 可关键在于为什么 她葫芦里卖的 什么药 |
[1:29:01] | What is she up to? What? | 她到底是为什么 为什么 |
[1:29:03] | I hope that in your final speech | 威尔弗莱德爵士 希望您明天在 |
[1:29:06] | you won’t become too emotionally involved. | 结案陈词的时候不要那么情绪化 |
[1:29:08] | -You must think of your condition. -He’s right. | -您应该顾及自己的健康 -他说得对 |
[1:29:11] | I want to see you save yourself. This isn’t going to be your last case. | 我希望你能保全自己 这可不是你的最后一个案子 |
[1:29:15] | Yes it is. | 不 这就是最后一个 |
[1:29:17] | But until it’s over I’m still a barrister. | 不过 在结束前 我仍然是个出庭律师 |
[1:29:19] | My client’s life is at stake. That’s all that matters -his life. | 我委托人的生命危在旦夕 这是最至关重要的-他的生命 |
[1:29:23] | He’s entitled to the best that I can do. | 他有权得到我的倾力相助 |
[1:29:26] | If I can’t stand up | 如果我无法站起来 |
[1:29:28] | to make my final appeal for him I’ll make it sitting down. | 为他念结案陈词 那我就坐着念 |
[1:29:30] | If I become short of breath I’ll take a pill or two pills | 如果我觉得气短 那我就含一片药片 或者两片 |
[1:29:33] | or all of them and the box too. | 或者全都放进嘴里 连同药盒 |
[1:29:42] | -Yes? -This Sir Wilfrid Robarts’ place? | -你好 -这是威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨爵士的办公室吧 |
[1:29:46] | -Well yes it is. -Let me talk to the old geezer. | -嗯是的没错 -让我跟那老头儿说话 |
[1:29:49] | -Who is this speaking please? -Never you mind. Let me talk to ‘im. | -请问你是哪位 -你别管让我跟他说话 |
[1:29:54] | I’m afraid that’s impossible. What is the nature of your business? | 恐怕不太可能 你有什么事 |
[1:29:57] | It’s business all right. I’ve got something to sell ‘im I ‘ave. | 是正事儿 我有东西要卖给他 |
[1:30:01] | Well really madam! | 哦 是吗 女士 |
[1:30:02] | And what I want to sell ‘im believe me ‘e’ll want to buy. | 信不信由你 我打算 卖的东西他肯定会买 |
[1:30:05] | -It’s got to do with that Leonard Vole. -Leonard Vole? | -这东西跟伦纳德·沃尔有关 -伦纳德·沃尔 |
[1:30:09] | It’s about that German wife. | 是关于那个德国妻子的 |
[1:30:11] | I’ve got the goods on her and it’s for sale. | 我有关于她的东西要卖 |
[1:30:17] | This is Wilfrid Robarts speaking. Now what is this all about? | 我是威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨 说吧 怎么回事儿 |
[1:30:21] | Well hello ducky. | 哦 你好啊 宝贝儿 |
[1:30:23] | What is this you said about Mrs Leonard Vole? | 你说与伦纳德·沃尔太太 有关的是什么东西 |
[1:30:26] | I’m not just saying. I’ve got it in black and white. | 我不只是”说” 我有白纸黑字 |
[1:30:30] | -You’ve got what? -Listen to this carefully ducks. | -你有什么 -仔细听好宝贝儿 |
[1:30:33] | I’m at the buffet at Euston Station at the far end of the bar. | 我在尤斯顿火车站的 小卖部里 吧台的尽头 |
[1:30:37] | I’ll be here for 30 minutes because that’s when me train leaves. | 我在这儿等火车 还有30分钟就要开了 |
[1:30:41] | If you want the lowdown on that German bag get yourself here. | 如果你想知道那个 德国烂货的秘密 就快过来 |
[1:30:44] | What lowdown? What do you know about her? | 什么秘密 你知道什么 |
[1:30:47] | Uh-uh. Not on the phone. | 哦 呃 电话里我不会说的 |
[1:30:49] | You’d better get on over here and bring plenty of money. | 你最好快点过来 带够钱 |
[1:30:54] | Now just a moment! Hello? Hello? | 嗯 等等 喂 喂 |
[1:30:59] | That’s…bilge. Some drunken crank. | 尽是…胡话 一定是喝醉了 |
[1:31:02] | You get those in every murder trial. | 每个谋杀案都会碰到这种人 |
[1:31:05] | Giving me an ultimatum Euston Station | 给了我一个最后通牒 30分钟内必须 |
[1:31:07] | in 30 minutes. | 赶到尤斯顿火车站 |
[1:31:08] | Got the lowdown on Mrs Vole. | 说她手上有沃尔太太的秘密 |
[1:31:10] | Balderdash. | 胡言乱语 |
[1:31:12] | I’m too old and too sick to go on a wild-goose chase. | 我又老又病 空跑一场我可受不了 |
[1:31:17] | -Come on Mayhew. -Where to Sir Wilfrid? | -走吧 梅休 -去哪儿威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:31:20] | Euston Station where do you think? | 尤斯顿火车站 还有哪儿 |
[1:31:25] | Now sir? | 可以试了 先生 |
[1:31:27] | Shortly. | 稍等 |
[1:31:30] | Cigar! | 雪茄 |
[1:31:32] | Sir Wilfrid where are you going? | 威尔弗莱德爵士 你去哪儿 |
[1:31:34] | Your bath your massage your dinner your injection! | 你的温水澡 你的按摩 你的晚餐 你的注射 |
[1:31:39] | Thank you Miss Plimsoll. | 谢谢你 普利姆索尔小姐 |
[1:32:07] | -You wouldn’t be Sir Wilfrid would you? -I would. | -你就是威尔弗莱德爵士吧是不是 -我是 |
[1:32:10] | Didn’t recognise you without your wig. Lovely you all look in them wigs. | 不戴假发我都认不出来了 你们戴假发的样子多有趣 |
[1:32:15] | Two o’ yer? I’m not talking to two o’ yer. | 两个人 我可不打算跟两个人谈 |
[1:32:18] | This is Mr Mayhew Leonard Vole’s solicitor. | 这位是梅休先生 伦纳德·沃尔的法律顾问 |
[1:32:20] | -Well that’s all right then. -And your name please? | -嗯 那好吧 -请问你的大名 |
[1:32:24] | No need for mine. If I did give you | 没必要问我 告诉你 |
[1:32:26] | a name it mightn’t be the right one might it? | 也不会是真的 对不对 |
[1:32:29] | ‘Ave a drink boys. Two whiskies for me gen’lmen friends. | 来一杯吧 老兄 给这两位先生每人来一杯威士忌 |
[1:32:34] | Now what is this information you allegedly have? | 你说你手上有的是什么信息 |
[1:32:36] | You realise that you’re duty-bound to give any evidence | 你是否明白 如果你手头有什么 证据的话 |
[1:32:39] | that you might have? | 应该义不容辞地拿出来 |
[1:32:41] | -Come off it. Did you bring any money? -What is it you have madam? | -哦得了吧你们带钱了吗 -你手上有的是什么女士 |
[1:32:46] | Letters. Letters that German wife of ‘is wrote. That’s what I’ve got. | 信 那个德国妻子写的信 这就是我手上的东西 |
[1:32:50] | Letters written to the prisoner? | 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆写给犯人的信 |
[1:32:53] | To the prisoner? Don’t make me laugh. | 写给犯人 别惹我笑了 |
[1:32:55] | Poor bleeder | 可怜的倒霉蛋 |
[1:32:56] | he’s been took in by ‘er all right. And these letters prove it. | 他被她 骗得团团转 这些信就是证明 |
[1:32:59] | If we could see these letters | 你给我们看看信 |
[1:33:02] | we could advise you as to how pertinent they are. | 我们才知道是不是有用 |
[1:33:05] | Well I don’t expect you… | 嗯 我也没指望… |
[1:33:11] | Well as I say I don’t expect you | 嗯 是啊 我也没指望你们不看 |
[1:33:13] | to buy without seeing but fair’s fair. | 一眼就买下来 可生意就是生意 |
[1:33:15] | If these letters get the boy off | 如果这些信能让那小伙子脱罪 |
[1:33:17] | it’s L100 for me right? | 你们得付我100英镑 怎么样 |
[1:33:19] | If these letters contain information useful to the defence | 如果这些信里有对辩方 有利的信息 |
[1:33:23] | I’m prepared to offer L10. | 我愿意给你10英镑 |
[1:33:24] | What? Ten bleeding pounds for letters like these? | 什么 区区10英镑 就想买这些信 |
[1:33:28] | Take that piece of glass out o’ yer eye. Good night. | 把你眼睛上的玻璃片 拿掉吧 再会了 |
[1:33:31] | If these help prove my client’s innocence | 如果这些信能证明 我的委托人是无辜的 |
[1:33:33] | L20 should I think not be an unreasonable sum for your expenses. | 我想 给你20英镑的 劳务费还是很公道的 |
[1:33:37] | 50 and it’s a bargain. That’s if you’re satisfied with ’em. | 50英镑就可以成交 如果你们对这些信满意的话 |
[1:33:40] | -L40. -All right blast yer. | -40英镑 -好吧 该死 |
[1:33:42] | ‘Ere take ’em. Nice little lot there. | 好了 拿去吧 这可是好几封呢 |
[1:33:45] | How do we know these are from Mrs Vole? | 我们怎么知道 这些信是沃尔太太写的 |
[1:33:48] | Oh she wrote ’em all right. It’s all fair an’ square. | 哦 是她写的没错 童叟无欺 |
[1:33:55] | I ‘ope they fix ‘er good and proper. | 我想这些信会让她好瞧的 |
[1:33:59] | I’ve had messages from Mrs Vole. It looks like her handwriting. | 我那儿有一张沃尔太太的便条 这看起来是她的笔迹 |
[1:34:03] | Good heavens look at this. | 我的天 看看这封 |
[1:34:08] | Juicy ain’t they? | 很有趣 是不是 |
[1:34:11] | -There’s one that’s even better. -How did you get hold of these? | -还有一封更有趣 -你是怎么弄到这些信的 |
[1:34:15] | What’s the difference so long as she gets what’s coming? | 这有什么要紧呢 反正让她遭了报应就行了 |
[1:34:18] | -What have you got against her? -Ha! | -你为什么要跟她作对 -嗐 |
[1:34:21] | I’ll give you something to dream about mister. | 来看一眼吧 你会 做好梦的 先生 |
[1:34:26] | Want to kiss me ducky? | 想吻我吗 宝贝儿 |
[1:34:32] | Ha! | 嗐 |
[1:34:33] | -I didn’t suppose you would. -Christine Vole did that to you? | -料你们也不会 -是克莉丝汀·沃尔干的 |
[1:34:37] | Not ‘er the chap I was going with. | 不是她 是我原来的相好 |
[1:34:39] | He was a bit younger than me but I loved ‘im. | 他比我小一点 但是我爱他 |
[1:34:42] | Then she come along started seeing ‘im on the sly. | 然后她横插一杠 开始跟他幽会 |
[1:34:45] | Then one day he cleared out. | 然后有一天他就不告而别 |
[1:34:47] | I found ’em together. I said what | 我找到了他们俩 我跟她说了 |
[1:34:50] | I thought of ‘er and he cut me face up proper. | 她是什么货色 然后他就把我砍成这样 |
[1:34:53] | -Did you go to the police about it? -Who me? Not likely. | -你去找警察了吗 -谁 我 不可能 |
[1:34:57] | It wasn’t ‘is fault. It was all ‘ers gettin’ | 这不是他的错 都是那个女人的错 |
[1:35:00] | ‘im away from me turnin’ ‘im against me. | 都是那个女人把他抢走 让他对我反戈相向 |
[1:35:03] | But I waited me time to pay ‘er back. And it’s come now. | 但是我会等待时机 让她付出代价 现在时机来了 |
[1:35:08] | I’m deeply sorry deeply sorry. We’ll make it another L5 for the letters. | 我非常遗憾 非常遗憾 我们再给你5英镑 |
[1:35:13] | ‘Olding out on me were yer? I knew I was being soft with yer. | 对我很慷慨啊 是不是 我知道 我对你们挺温柔的 |
[1:35:18] | Cold-blooded vindictiveness. Read this one. | 真是冷血的报复 看看这封 |
[1:35:23] | Unbelievable. | 难以置信 |
[1:35:26] | We’d better have the full name of the man to whom these were addressed | 我们最好弄到这个男人的全名和住址 |
[1:35:29] | Miss… | 小姐… |
[1:35:31] | Miss um… | 小姐 嗯… |
[1:35:33] | Where is she? | 她哪儿去了 |
[1:35:41] | On that train I should think. | 我想应该是上了那列火车 |
[1:35:43] | Doesn’t want her other cheek slashed. Can’t blame her. | 她不希望 另一边脸颊也被砍烂 也难怪她 |
[1:35:49] | -Care for another sir? -Hm? | -再来一杯吗先生 -嗯 |
[1:35:51] | Good idea. | 好主意 |
[1:36:02] | Silence! | 肃静 |
[1:36:04] | Be upstanding in court. | 出庭人等全体起立 |
[1:36:07] | All persons who have anything to do before my lords | 为在女王座前伸张正义 |
[1:36:10] | the queen’s justices of oyer and terminer | 伦敦中央刑事法庭 |
[1:36:12] | and general jail delivery for the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court | 谨享有审理 判决和收监的权限 |
[1:36:16] | draw near and give your attendance. God save the queen. | 所有相关人等请准时出庭 天佑女王 |
[1:36:34] | Since the defence has called but one witness the prisoner | 鉴于辩方只传唤了 一名证人 即犯人本人 |
[1:36:38] | it has the right to be heard last. | 因此辩方享有 最后陈述的权利 |
[1:36:40] | Mr Myers if you are ready | 所以 梅耶斯先生 如果准备好了 |
[1:36:44] | let us have the final address for the prosecution. | 请你开始发表控方的结案陈词 |
[1:36:47] | My lord members of the jury I will be brief in my final speech | 法官大人 各位陪审员 我的结案陈词将很简短 |
[1:36:51] | because I think we’ve proved | 因为我认为我们已经很清楚地 |
[1:36:53] | so obvious a case of murder against Leonard Vole | 论证了对伦纳德·沃尔的谋杀指控 |
[1:36:56] | that a verdict of guilty must be the only possible conclusion. | 有罪的裁决 将是唯一的选择 |
[1:37:00] | I will briefly summarise these facts… | 我将简单扼要地 总结一下事实… |
[1:37:09] | You’d better begin again Mr Myers. | 你最好从头开始 梅耶斯先生 |
[1:37:12] | That is if Sir Wilfrid is at all interested in our proceedings. | 如果威尔弗莱德爵士 对此特别感兴趣的话 |
[1:37:17] | I am indeed my lord. | 我很感兴趣 法官大人 |
[1:37:19] | The speech for the crown however is premature. | 但是 现在进行结案陈词未免为时过早 |
[1:37:21] | I ask that the case for the defence be reopened. | 我请求重新回到辩方传讯阶段 |
[1:37:24] | And that a witness be recalled. | 并重新传唤一名证人 |
[1:37:26] | I most strenuously object to the case | 法官大人 辩方在这最后时刻要求 |
[1:37:29] | being reopened at this final stage. | 回到传讯阶段 对此我强烈反对 |
[1:37:30] | Evidence of a startling nature has come into my possession. | 我方最新掌握了 令人吃惊的证据 |
[1:37:34] | The course my learned friend proposes is quite unprecedented. | 我博学的朋友所要求 的程序是前所未有的 |
[1:37:37] | I have anticipated this objection | 我预料到会有这样的反对 |
[1:37:39] | and can meet it with ample precedent. | 因此我已经查阅到足够多的先例 |
[1:37:41] | There is the king vs Stillman reported | 首先是斯蒂尔曼公诉案 |
[1:37:44] | in the criminal appeal reports of 1926 | 见1926年《刑事上诉判例汇编》 |
[1:37:47] | at page 463. | 第463页 |
[1:37:50] | Also the king vs Porter in volume | 然后 是波特公诉案 |
[1:37:52] | one of the king’s bench division reports | 见1942年《王座法庭判例汇编》 |
[1:37:54] | 1942 at page 153. | 第153页 |
[1:37:58] | And lastly there is the case of the king vs Sullivan | 最后一个是沙利文公诉案 |
[1:38:01] | in which this issue was raised which I’m sure Your Lordship will remember | 也发生了同样的情形 我相信法官大人应该记忆犹新 |
[1:38:05] | since you appeared for the prosecution. | 因为您当时是控方律师 |
[1:38:08] | I did? Oh yes before Mr Justice Swindon. | 是吗 哦 对 主审是斯温顿法官先生 |
[1:38:12] | What is this new evidence Sir Wilfrid? | 这个新证据是什么 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:38:15] | Letters my lord. | 是信件 法官大人 |
[1:38:17] | Letters written by Christine Helm. | 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 的亲笔信件 |
[1:38:22] | My lord the prosecution continues its objection. | 法官大人 控方 继续提出反对 |
[1:38:26] | If my memory serves me well Your Lordship’s similar objection | 根据我的记忆 您在沙利文公诉案中 |
[1:38:30] | in the king against Sullivan was sustained. | 提出的类似反对 被法官大人接纳了 |
[1:38:35] | Your memory for once serves you ill Mr Myers. | 这一次 你的记忆 错了 梅耶斯先生 |
[1:38:39] | My objection then was overruled by Mr Justice Swindon. | 我的反对被斯温顿 法官先生驳回了 |
[1:38:44] | As yours is now by me. | 而你的反对 现在被我驳回 |
[1:38:53] | Call Christine Helm. | 传克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:38:56] | Christine Helm. | 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:38:58] | -Christine Helm. -Christine Helm. | -克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 -克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:39:18] | If you still have doubts about Mr Vole | 如果你现在还怀疑沃尔先生 |
[1:39:20] | I wouldn’t mind betting you a box of cigars. | 我愿意跟你赌一小盒雪茄 |
[1:39:23] | Mrs Helm you appreciate you are still under oath? | 赫尔姆太太 你是否清楚 你现在仍需谨遵誓言 |
[1:39:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:39:28] | -Do you know a man named Max? -I don’t know what you mean. | -你认不认识一个叫马克斯的人 -我不明白你的意思 |
[1:39:34] | It’s a simple question. Do you or do you not know a man called Max? | 这是个很简单的问题 你是否认识一个叫马克斯的人 |
[1:39:38] | Max? Certainly not. | 马克斯 应该不认识 |
[1:39:41] | It’s a fairly common name | 这是个很普通的名字 |
[1:39:42] | and yet you’ve never known a man named Max? | 难道叫 马克斯的人你一个也不认识 |
[1:39:45] | In Germany perhaps but a long time ago. | 在德国也许认识 不过那是很久以前的事了 |
[1:39:47] | I shall not ask you to go back that far. | 我不要你回忆那么久以前的事 |
[1:39:50] | Just a few weeks to…October 20 last. | 几星期前就够了…今年10月20日 |
[1:39:56] | -What have you got there? -A letter. | -你手里是什么 -一封信 |
[1:39:59] | I suggest that on October 20 | 我想 10月20日那天 |
[1:40:01] | -you wrote a letter… -I don’t know what you’re talking about. | -你写了一封信…-我不知道你在说什么 |
[1:40:05] | …addressed to a man named Max. -I did nothing of the sort. | …给一个叫做马克斯的男人 -我没做过这种事 |
[1:40:08] | The letter was but one of a series written to the same man. | 这只是你写给这个 男人的一系列信件中的一封 |
[1:40:13] | Lies! All lies! | 谎言 一派谎言 |
[1:40:15] | You seem to have been well let us say on intimate terms with this man. | 你似乎 嗯 这么说吧 你似乎与那个男人关系亲密 |
[1:40:20] | How dare you say a thing like that? It isn’t true! | 你怎么敢说出这种话 这不是真的 |
[1:40:23] | I’m not concerned with the general trend of | 我对这些信件所表明的 关系不感兴趣 |
[1:40:27] | this correspondence only one letter. | 但有一封信不同 |
[1:40:28] | “My beloved Max an extraordinary thing has happened.” | “我心爱的马克斯 发生了一件绝妙的事 |
[1:40:33] | “I believe all our difficulties may be ended.” | “我相信我们的难题 就要迎刃而解了” |
[1:40:36] | I will not stand here and listen to a pack of lies! | 我不准备站在这里 听你的谎话连篇 |
[1:40:39] | That letter’s a forgery. It isn’t even my letter paper! | 这封信是伪造的 这根本不是我的信纸 |
[1:40:43] | -It isn’t? -No! | -不是吗 -不是 |
[1:40:45] | I write my letters on small blue paper | 我的信都是写在蓝色 小信纸上的 |
[1:40:48] | with my initials on it. | 信纸上有我的姓名缩写 |
[1:40:53] | Like this? | 就像这些 |
[1:40:57] | This is a bill from my tailor | 这张是我的裁缝为我 |
[1:41:00] | for a pair of extremely becoming Bermuda shorts. | 做百慕大短裤的账单 |
[1:41:04] | Wilfrid the fox! That’s what we call him and that’s what he is. | 老狐狸威尔弗莱德 我们就这么叫他 真是恰如其分 |
[1:41:09] | Now Mrs Helm you’ve been kind | 好 赫尔姆太太 感谢你 |
[1:41:11] | enough to identify your letter paper. | 费心为我们辨认出你的信纸 |
[1:41:13] | Now if you like | 现在 如果需要的话 |
[1:41:15] | I can have an expert identify your handwriting. | 我可以 请一位专家来鉴定你的笔迹 |
[1:41:18] | Damn you! | 你见鬼 |
[1:41:21] | -Damn you! -Leave her alone! | -你见鬼 -别招惹她 |
[1:41:24] | -Damn you! -Mrs Helm! | -你见鬼 -赫尔姆太太 |
[1:41:26] | Let me go! Let me get out of here! Let me go! | 让我走 让我离开这儿 让我走 |
[1:41:30] | -Mrs Helm! -Let me go! | -赫尔姆太太 -让我走 |
[1:41:31] | Usher get the witness a chair. | 庭警 请给证人一把椅子 |
[1:41:40] | Sir Wilfrid will you | 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:41:42] | now read the letter in question so that the jury may hear it? | 你现在能不能 向陪审团宣读一下你提到的那封信 |
[1:41:51] | “My beloved Max an extraordinary thing has happened.” | “我心爱的马克斯 发生了一件奇妙的事 |
[1:41:57] | “All our difficulties may soon be solved.” | “我们的难题就 要迎刃而解了 |
[1:42:01] | “Leonard is suspected of murdering the old lady I told you about.” | “伦纳德涉嫌杀害了 我跟你说过的那个老太太 |
[1:42:06] | “His only hope of an alibi depends | “由我为他提供不在场证明 |
[1:42:09] | on me and me alone.” | 是他现在的指望-唯一的指望 |
[1:42:13] | “Suppose I testify that he was not at home with me at the time of the murder | “想想吧 我可以作证说案发 当时他并不在家 |
[1:42:19] | that he came home with blood on his sleeves | “而且回家的时候 袖子上有血迹 |
[1:42:23] | and that he even admitted to me that he’d killed her?” | “并亲口向我承认 他杀了老太太 |
[1:42:27] | “Strange that he always said he would never let me leave him.” | “真是奇怪 他总说 我决不能离他而去 |
[1:42:31] | “But now if this succeeds he will be leaving me | “可是现在如果能成功的话 他就会离我而去 |
[1:42:35] | because they will take him away forever | “因为他们会让他 永远一去不回 |
[1:42:39] | and I shall be free and yours my beloved.” | “而我就自由了 我将 成为你的人 亲爱的 |
[1:42:43] | “I count the hours until we are together. Christine.” | “我时刻盼望着我们 相聚的那一天 克莉丝汀” |
[1:42:51] | Mrs Helm? Will you go back to the witness box? | 赫尔姆太太 请你回证人席好吗 |
[1:43:05] | I now ask you again Christine Helm | 我再问你一遍 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 |
[1:43:09] | did you write this letter? | 这些信是你写的吗 |
[1:43:11] | Christine tell him you didn’t write it. I know you didn’t. | 克莉丝汀 告诉他这不是你写的 我知道这不是你写的 |
[1:43:14] | Please answer my question. Did you write this letter? | 请回答我的问题 这些信是你写的吗 |
[1:43:18] | Before answering Mrs Helm | 在回答问题之前 赫尔姆太太 |
[1:43:20] | I wish to warn you | 我想先警告你 |
[1:43:22] | that the law regarding perjury in this country is very severe. | 在我们国家 对于伪证罪的处罚是很严厉的 |
[1:43:26] | If you have already committed perjury in this courtroom | 如果你已经在法庭上 犯下了伪证罪 |
[1:43:30] | I strongly advise you not to add to your crime. | 我强烈建议你 不要罪上加罪 |
[1:43:33] | But if this letter has not been written by you | 不过 如果这些信 确实不是你写的 |
[1:43:37] | then now is the time to state this fact. | 现在你也应该予以澄清 |
[1:43:43] | I wrote the letter. | 信是我写的 |
[1:43:48] | And that my lord is the case for the defence. | 法官大人 辩方传讯到此为止 |
[1:44:00] | I keep asking | 我一直在问自己 |
[1:44:01] | which is harder your head or your arteries? | 爵士 究竟是 你的脑袋更硬 还是你的动脉更硬 |
[1:44:03] | Stop pressing your luck you’re overdue. | 你别再撞大运了 你已经透支了 |
[1:44:06] | We’re all packed and ready. I hope the jury won’t take all afternoon. | 咱们的行李都收拾好了 希望陪审团别耗上一下午 |
[1:44:10] | I concede. | 我任你们摆布了 |
[1:44:11] | -Congratulations here are your cigars. -Not yet. | -祝贺你 你的雪茄 -还不是时候 |
[1:44:15] | Come on it’s all over wrapped up neat and tidy. | 好啦 都铁定了 干得妥贴又漂亮 |
[1:44:18] | -What’s wrong? -It’s a little too neat too tidy | -有什么不对吗 -有点过于妥贴过于漂亮了 |
[1:44:22] | and altogether too symmetrical that’s what’s wrong with it. | 总的来看是过于顺利了 所以看起来不对劲 |
[1:44:26] | -The jury is back. -You’re not worried about the verdict? | -陪审团回来了 -你不是在担心判决吧 |
[1:44:29] | It’s not their judgment that worries me it’s mine. | 让我担心的不是 他们的判断 而是我自己的 |
[1:44:34] | Come along. | 走吧 |
[1:44:37] | Where’s my wig? | 我的假发呢 |
[1:45:08] | The prisoner will stand up. | 犯人请起立 |
[1:45:13] | Members of the jury are you all agreed upon your verdict? | 各位陪审员 你们是否作出了一致的裁决 |
[1:45:19] | We are. | 是的 |
[1:45:21] | Do you find the prisoner at the bar Leonard Stephen Vole | 关于埃米莉·简·弗伦奇谋杀案 |
[1:45:25] | guilty or not guilty of the murder of Emily Jane French? | 你们裁定伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔有罪还是无罪 |
[1:45:33] | Not guilty m’lord. | 无罪 法官大人 |
[1:45:55] | Silence! | 肃静 |
[1:45:56] | Silence! | 肃静 |
[1:46:01] | Leonard Stephen Vole you have been found not guilty | 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 关于埃米莉·简·弗伦奇 |
[1:46:05] | of the murder of Emily Jane French on October 14. | 于10月14日被杀一案 你被裁定无罪 |
[1:46:10] | You are hereby discharged and are free to leave the court. | 你现在被当庭释放 可以离开了 |
[1:46:25] | Persons with anything more to do before the queen’s justices | 为在女王座前伸张正义 伦敦中央刑事法庭 |
[1:46:29] | of oyer and terminer and jail delivery | 谨享有审理 判决和收监的权限 |
[1:46:31] | for the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court may depart the area. | 所有相关人等现请退庭 |
[1:46:45] | Thank you. Yes we’ll talk later. Thank you Mr Mayhew. | 多谢 好的 我们以后再谈 谢谢您 梅休先生 |
[1:46:48] | Thank you Mr Brogan-Moore. Carter. | 谢谢您 布洛根·摩尔先生 卡特 |
[1:46:51] | Thank you Sir Wilfrid for everything. | 谢谢您 威尔弗莱德爵士 感谢您做的一切 |
[1:46:54] | You were wonderful. | 您真是太杰出了 |
[1:46:55] | -I’d say we were lucky all around. -Yeah. | -不得不说 我们非常走运 -是啊 谢谢 |
[1:46:59] | I have your belongings. | 我整理好了你的财物 |
[1:47:00] | Sign the receipt Mr Vole and we can release you. | 请你去签收 沃尔先生 然后我们就可以释放你了 |
[1:47:03] | “Mr Vole.” They didn’t call me Mr when they charged me. | “沃尔先生” 他们逮捕 我的时候可没喊我先生 |
[1:47:06] | I’ll go with you I have your hat and coat. | 我跟你一起去你的帽子和外衣在我那儿 |
[1:47:09] | Let’s go before they change their mind! | 在他们改变主意之前 我们快走吧 |
[1:47:20] | Chipper isn’t he? | 乐坏了 是不是 |
[1:47:22] | An hour ago he had one foot on the gallows | 一小时前 他的一只脚还踏在绞刑架上 |
[1:47:24] | and the other on a banana peel. | 另一只脚踩着香蕉皮 |
[1:47:26] | You ought to be very proud Wilfrid. Aren’t you? | 你应该为此骄傲 威尔弗莱德爵士 是不是 |
[1:47:29] | Not yet. We’ve disposed of the gallows | 还没到时候 我们搞定了绞刑架 |
[1:47:33] | but there’s still that banana peel somewhere under somebody’s foot. | 可是香蕉皮还是落在 什么地方 被某些人踩在脚下 |
[1:47:50] | Every word you said was a lie! | 你说的每个字都是谎言 |
[1:47:53] | You ought to be locked up! Liar! | 你应该被关起来 骗子 |
[1:47:55] | You’d better wait here until we get rid of that crowd madam. | 你最好在这儿稍候 等我们把人群驱散以后再走 女士 |
[1:47:58] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[1:48:04] | Ready sir? Miss Plimsoll will be waiting. | 好了吗 先生 普利姆索尔小姐还等着呢 |
[1:48:08] | Let me finish the last of the cocoa while I’m still beyond her jurisdiction. | 趁我还没回到她的管制之下 让我再来一点可可 |
[1:48:13] | Would you excuse me Brogan-Moore Carter? Thank you. | 你们先走好吗 布洛根·摩尔 卡特 谢谢 |
[1:48:45] | I never thought you British could get so emotional. | 我真不知道 原来你们英国人 那么情绪化 |
[1:48:48] | Especially in public. | 尤其是在公众场合 |
[1:48:49] | -I apologise for my compatriots. -It’s all right. | -我为我的同胞向你道歉 -没什么 |
[1:48:52] | I don’t mind being called names | 我不介意他们喊叫我的名字 |
[1:48:53] | or pushed around or even kicked in the shin. | 把我推来推去 或者踢我的小腿 |
[1:48:56] | But I have a ladder in my last pair of nylons. | 可是我最后一双尼龙袜 也被他们弄得抽丝了 |
[1:48:58] | In case you are not familiar with our prison regulations | 显然你对我们国家监狱的规定 不太熟悉 |
[1:49:01] | no silk stockings. | 狱中不能穿丝袜 |
[1:49:03] | Prison? Will I go to prison? | 监狱 我会进监狱吗 |
[1:49:05] | You heard the judge. You will certainly be charged with perjury | 你听到法官的话了 你肯定会因伪证罪被起诉 |
[1:49:09] | tried for it and to prison you shall go. | 被审判并且被判入狱 |
[1:49:11] | Well it won’t be for life will it? | 好啊那也不会是一辈子吧是不是 |
[1:49:13] | If I were appearing for the prosecution it would be. | 如果我是控方律师 那就会是一辈子 |
[1:49:17] | You loathe me don’t you? Like the people outside. | 你憎恨我 对吗 就跟外面那些人一样 |
[1:49:21] | What a wicked woman I am and how brilliantly you exposed me | 我是个多么邪恶的女人 而你是多么出色地揭露了我 |
[1:49:24] | and saved Leonard’s life. The great | 并且拯救了伦纳德 伟大的 |
[1:49:26] | Sir Wilfrid Robarts did it again. | 威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨爵士又一次成功了 |
[1:49:29] | Well let me tell you something. | 好啦 让我告诉你一些事吧 |
[1:49:32] | You didn’t do it alone. You had help. | 你并不是单枪匹马的 有人帮了你 |
[1:49:36] | What are you driving at? | 你在影射什么 |
[1:49:38] | I’m not driving at anything. Leonard is free and we did it. | 我没有影射什么 伦纳德现在自由了 是我们俩的功劳 |
[1:49:41] | -We? -Remember? | -我们 -不记得了 |
[1:49:42] | When you said that no jury would believe | 你说过 陪审团不会相信一个 |
[1:49:44] | an alibi given by a loving wife | 深爱丈夫的妻子提供的不在场证明 |
[1:49:46] | no matter how much she swore he was innocent? | 不管她如何赌咒发誓说他是 无辜的都没用 |
[1:49:49] | That gave me the idea. | 你的话给了我灵感 |
[1:49:50] | What idea? | 什么灵感 |
[1:49:52] | The idea that I should be | 灵感就是 我不该为 |
[1:49:54] | a witness not for my husband but for the prosecution. | 我丈夫作证 而应该为控方作证 |
[1:49:57] | That I should swear Leonard was guilty | 我应该赌咒发誓说伦纳德是有罪的 |
[1:49:59] | and that you should expose me as a liar | 然后由你来揭露说我是一个骗子 |
[1:50:01] | because only then would they believe Leonard was innocent. | 只有这样 他们才会 相信伦纳德是无辜的 |
[1:50:05] | So now you know the whole story Sir Wilfrid. | 现在你已经知道了一切 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:50:14] | I’ll give yer something to dream about mister. | 来看一眼吧 你会做好梦的 先生 |
[1:50:18] | Want to kiss me ducky? | 想吻我吗 宝贝儿 |
[1:50:25] | I suspected something but not that. | 我也怀疑过不对劲 但没想到竟是这样 |
[1:50:29] | -Never that! -Thank you for the compliment. | -绝对没想到 -感谢你的恭维 |
[1:50:32] | It’s been a long time since I acted | 我已经很久没有演戏了 |
[1:50:34] | and I never played such a vital role. | 而且我从没演过这样性命攸关的角色 |
[1:50:36] | All those blue letters! | 可是那些情书呢 |
[1:50:39] | It took me hours to write them to invent Max. There never was a Max. | 写这些信花了我几个小时 写给那个无中生有的马克斯 |
[1:50:43] | There’s never been anyone but Leonard. | 我只有伦纳德 没有别人 从来没有 |
[1:50:45] | My dear could you not have trusted me | 天哪 你怎么 可以不信任我 |
[1:50:48] | worked with me truthfully and honourably? We would have won. | 用我诚实体面的方法 也完全可以赢 |
[1:50:52] | I could not run that risk. You thought he was innocent. | 我不能冒险 你认为他是无辜的 |
[1:50:55] | And you knew he was innocent. I understand. | 你知道他是无辜的 我明白 |
[1:50:58] | No Sir Wilfrid you do not understand at all. | 不 威尔弗莱德爵士 你根本没明白 |
[1:51:02] | I knew he was guilty. | 我知道他是有罪的 |
[1:51:08] | That can’t be true! No! | 这不可能 不 |
[1:51:12] | Listen to me once and for all. | 听着 我只说一遍 |
[1:51:14] | He came home after ten he had blood on his sleeves | 伦纳德是22:10到家的 袖子上沾了血迹 |
[1:51:17] | he said he had killed the woman only I could save him. He pleaded. | 他说他杀死了那个女人 说只有我能救他 他恳求我 |
[1:51:21] | And you saved him? A murderer? | 于是你救了他 一个杀人犯 |
[1:51:24] | Again you don’t understand. | 你还是没明白 |
[1:51:26] | I love him. | 我爱他 |
[1:51:34] | I told you she was an actress. And a good one. | 我跟你说过她是个 演员 一个好演员 |
[1:51:37] | Leonard! | 伦纳德 |
[1:51:38] | I knew she’d do something but I just didn’t know what or how. | 我知道她会帮我的 不过我也不知道她会怎么做 |
[1:51:42] | Leonard Leonard. | 伦纳德 伦纳德 |
[1:51:46] | -Fooled you completely didn’t she? -It was you Vole who fooled me. | -她完全骗过了你是不是 -骗过我的人是你沃尔 |
[1:51:51] | Oh easy. Easy. | 哦 悠着点 悠着点 |
[1:51:54] | We both got out of this alive let’s stay this way. | 我们都活着捱到了案子结束 要保持啊 |
[1:51:57] | -Where are your pills? -You’ve made a mockery of English law. | -你的药片在哪儿 -你愚弄了英国法律 |
[1:52:01] | Who did? You got me off | 是谁愚弄的 是你帮助我脱罪的 |
[1:52:03] | and I can’t be tried again for this. | 现在我再也不会因此案受审了 |
[1:52:04] | -That’s English law too isn’t it? -You can’t touch him now. Nobody can. | -这也是英国法律不是吗 -你不能再碰他了谁也不能 |
[1:52:09] | The scales of justice may tip one way or another | 正义的天平 也许偶有偏差 |
[1:52:12] | but ultimately they balance out. You’ll pay for this. | 但终将回归正义 你会付出代价的 |
[1:52:15] | Ultimately’s a long way off. I’d rather pay | “终将”还早着呢 我宁可 |
[1:52:17] | for it as soon as possible and in cash. | 早点付出代价 越快越好 用现金 |
[1:52:19] | Suppose we double your fee? | 付你双倍律师费怎么样 |
[1:52:21] | There’ll be lots of money once the will goes through. | 等遗嘱执行以后 我会得到一大笔钱 |
[1:52:24] | I’m not cheap I want everybody to get something out of it. | 我不再是一钱不值了 我会让每个人都得到补偿 |
[1:52:27] | There’s Janet McKenzie. We’ll get her that new hearing aid. | 那个珍妮特·麦肯锡 她的新助听器就让我们来买吧 |
[1:52:31] | And we’ll get you a new one of these. 18-carat gold if they make them. | 这也给你做一个新的 如果做得出来 就用18K金做 |
[1:52:36] | And when they try you for perjury | 他们以伪证罪起诉你的话 |
[1:52:38] | there’ll be L5000 for the defence. | 我会出五千英镑为你请辩护律师 |
[1:52:40] | I don’t care just so we’ll be together. | 我不在乎 伦纳德 反正我们总能在一起的 |
[1:52:43] | You don’t know what I’ve been through. | 你不知道我都是如何忍受折磨的 |
[1:52:45] | Standing in the witness box having to face you saying I never loved you. | 不得不站在被告席上 面对着你 说我从来没爱过你 |
[1:52:50] | What is it Leonard? | 怎么了 伦纳德 |
[1:52:51] | The luggage is in the car | 威尔弗莱德爵士 行李已经放在车上了 |
[1:52:53] | and we’ve only 20 minutes to catch the boat train. | 还有20分钟去码头的火车就要发车了 |
[1:52:55] | This is a nice young lady I met during the trial. | 这个好心的姑娘 是我在旁听席上认识的 |
[1:52:58] | Len! | 伦 |
[1:52:59] | Oh Len! | 哦 伦 |
[1:53:01] | Len… | 伦… |
[1:53:04] | Oh Len they’ve been trying to keep me away. It’s had me nearly crazy. | 哦 伦 他们还不想 让我进来 我都快疯了 |
[1:53:08] | Leonard who’s this girl? | 伦纳德 这个姑娘是谁 |
[1:53:11] | I’m not this girl I’m his girl. | 我不是”这个姑娘” 我是他的姑娘 |
[1:53:14] | Tell her Len. | 告诉她 伦 |
[1:53:15] | Leonard is this the girl who was | 伦纳德 这就是跟你一起 |
[1:53:17] | with you in the travel bureau? | 去旅行社的那个姑娘对吗 |
[1:53:19] | The girl you said you hardly knew didn’t even know her name? | 你说你都不怎么认识她 连她叫什么名字都不知道 |
[1:53:22] | That’s right. That’s who I am | 没错 就是我 你的事儿 |
[1:53:25] | and I know all about you. You’re not his wife. | 我全知道 你不是他的妻子 |
[1:53:27] | Never have been. You’re years older than he is. | 从来都不是 你比他大好几岁 |
[1:53:30] | We’ve been together for months | 我们俩在一起已经好几个月了 |
[1:53:32] | and we’re going away on a cruise just like they | 我们还要一起出国旅游 就像他们 |
[1:53:34] | said in court. Tell her Len. | 在法庭上说过的那样 你自己告诉她 伦 |
[1:53:38] | -Yes Len tell me yourself. -All right Diana come along. | -对伦你自己告诉我 -好的 戴安娜 来吧 |
[1:53:43] | You can’t not after | 你不能这样 伦纳德 |
[1:53:44] | what I’ve done. I won’t let you. | 我为你 做了那么多 我不允许 |
[1:53:46] | I saved your life getting you out of Germany | 哦 真荒谬 我救了你的命 让你逃离了德国 |
[1:53:49] | you got me out of this mess so | 你救了我的命 让我逃离了这场麻烦 |
[1:53:51] | we’re even. It’s over now. | 我们扯平了 就此了结 |
[1:53:52] | Don’t Leonard! Don’t leave me! | 不要 伦纳德 别离开我 |
[1:53:55] | Don’t Leonard! Don’t! | 不要 伦纳德 不要 |
[1:53:57] | Pull yourself together. They’ll have you up for perjury. | 你冷静一点 他们会以伪证罪起诉你 |
[1:54:00] | Don’t make it worse or they’ll try you as an accessory. | 你别搞砸了 否则他们会以事后从犯罪起诉你 |
[1:54:04] | And you know what that means. | 你知道那意味着什么 |
[1:54:07] | I don’t care. Let them. Let them try me for perjury | 我不在乎 随他们怎样 让他们以伪证罪起诉我吧 |
[1:54:10] | or an accessory or… | 或者事后从犯罪 或者… |
[1:54:13] | -Ready? -Or better yet… | -好了吗 -或者干脆… |
[1:54:15] | let them try me for…! | 让他们以这个罪名起诉我… |
[1:54:17] | Argh! | 啊 |
[1:54:25] | 这是好莱坞影星泰隆·鲍华的完成的最后一部电影 1958年他在片场死于心脏病 | |
[1:54:41] | -Call a doctor. -It’s no use. No doctor can help now. | -快去找医生 -没用了找什么医生都没用了 |
[1:54:46] | -What happened? -She killed him. | -这是怎么了 -她杀了他 |
[1:54:49] | Killed him? | 杀了他 不 |
[1:54:51] | She executed him. | 她处决了他 |
[1:54:55] | Carter what have you done with the luggage? | 卡特 你把行李 弄哪儿去了 |
[1:54:58] | I sent it on ahead to the station and I’ve got a cab waiting outside. | 我安排送火车站了 我还叫了一辆出租车等在外面 |
[1:55:10] | A remarkable woman. | 一个不同寻常的女人 |
[1:55:12] | You can just barely catch the boat train. | 您现在刚好还能赶上去码头的火车爵士 |
[1:55:14] | Better bring the luggage back and you can dismiss the cab. | 你最好把行李弄回来 出租车也退了吧 |
[1:55:18] | We are not going yet are we? | 我们暂时不去了 对吗 |
[1:55:23] | Thank you Miss Plimsoll. | 谢谢你 普利姆索尔小姐 |
[1:55:26] | Get Brogan-Moore to my chambers and Mayhew too. | 叫布洛根·摩尔来我办公室 还有梅休 |
[1:55:29] | We’re appearing for the defence in the trial of Christine Vole. | 我们要为克莉丝汀·沃尔辩护 |
[1:55:34] | Sir Wilfrid? | 威尔弗莱德爵士 |
[1:55:36] | You’ve forgotten your brandy. | 你忘了你的白兰地 |
[1:55:39] | “爵士”和”护士”是生活中的夫妻双双因此片获得奥斯卡提名 “护士”还赢得了金球奖最佳女配角奖 | |
[1:56:01] | The management of this theatre suggests | 影院友情提示 |
[1:56:03] | that for the greater entertainment of friends | 为保证您没有看过这部电影的 |
[1:56:05] | who have not yet seen the picture | 朋友有机会获得更大的观影乐趣 |
[1:56:07] | you will not divulge to anyone the secret of the ending | 请您不要向任何人透露 |
[1:56:11] | of “Witness For The Prosecution”. | 《控方证人》 |
[1:56:18] | Visiontext Subtitles: Katherine Appleby | 这部电影的结局 |
Witness for the Prosecution(控方证人)[1957]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读