英文名称:Witness for the Prosecution
年代:1982
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:20] | Silence. Be upstanding in court. | 肃静! 出庭人等全体起立。 |
[00:23] | All persons who have anything to do before my lords, | 为在女王座前伸张正义, |
[00:26] | the queen’s justices of oyer and terminer and general jail delivery | 伦敦中央刑事法庭 |
[00:32] | for the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court | 谨享有审理、判决和收监的权限, |
[00:35] | draw near and give your attendance. God save the queen. | 所有相关人等请准时出庭。 天佑女王。 |
[02:09] | What a beautiful day. I’ve been hoping for a bit of sun for our homecoming. | 多好的天气啊。我一直盼着 咱们出院回家这天能出太阳。 |
[02:13] | It’s worth having the fog just to appreciate the sunshine. Is there a draught? | 能欣赏到阳光, 忍受那么多大雾天也值了。 风是不是太大了? |
[02:19] | – Shall I roll up the window? – Roll up your mouth. You talk too much. | – 要不要我把窗关上? – 把你的嘴关上就行了。你的话太多了。 |
[02:25] | If I’d known how much you talked I’d never have come out of my coma. | 要是知道你这么啰嗦, 我宁可昏迷着永远不醒过来。 |
[02:28] | – This thing weighs a ton. – Now, now. | – 这东西简直有一吨重。 – 好啦,好啦, |
[02:31] | We’ve been flat on our back for two months, we’d better be careful. | 咱们卧床不起都两个月了, 咱们最好小心点。 (爵士扮演者奥斯卡影帝查尔斯·劳顿是 史上第一位扮演波洛的演员,在1928年的 舞台剧《不在场证明(罗杰疑案)》中) (画面中为伦敦著名的四律师学院区) |
[02:46] | Lovely, lovely. It must be perfectly lovely to live and work in the Inns of Court. | 太棒了,太棒了。在伦敦的 律师学院区工作、生活一定棒极了。 |
[02:52] | How lucky you lawyers are. | 你们律师多么幸运啊。 |
[02:55] | I almost married a lawyer. I was in attendance for his appendectomy | 我还差一点嫁给一位律师呢。 当时我为他做阑尾切除术的护理, |
[02:59] | and we became engaged as soon as he could sit up. | 他刚能坐起来 我们就订婚了。 |
[03:02] | And then peritonitis set in and he went like that. | 后来就恶化成了腹膜炎, 他就这么撒手而去了。 |
[03:05] | He certainly was a lucky lawyer. | 他显然是个幸运的律师。 |
[03:20] | Teeny-weeny steps, now. Remember we had a teeny-weeny heart attack. | 步子要小悠悠的。别忘了, 咱们的心脏病刚刚小悠悠地发作过。 |
[03:24] | Oh, shut up! | 哦,闭嘴! |
[03:26] | Williams, my cane. | 威廉姆斯,我的手杖。 |
[03:35] | Here he comes! | 他来啦! |
[03:48] | Good afternoon. Thank you very much. Everybody back to work. | 下午好。非常感谢你们。 所有人都回去工作。 |
[03:52] | Sir Wilfrid, if you don’t mind, I’d like to read you a poem to welcome you back. | 威尔弗莱德爵士,如果你不介意的话, 我要朗诵一首诗欢迎您的归来。 |
[03:56] | Very touching. You can recite it after office hours in your own time. | 非常感人。你可以在下班后 用你自己的时间来朗诵。 |
[04:01] | Now back to work. What’s the matter with you? | 都回去工作吧。 你这是怎么了? |
[04:03] | Nothing. I’m just happy that you’re your old self again. | 没什么。我只是高兴, 看到您又恢复了老样子。 |
[04:07] | Any more sentimentality around here, I shall go back to the hospital! | 再有人这么多愁善感, 我立马就回医院去! |
[04:11] | They won’t take him back. He wasn’t really discharged, you know, | 他们不会收他的。 知道吗,他不算是正常出院, |
[04:15] | he was expelled for conduct unbecoming a cardiac patient. | 他是被驱逐出来的,因为行为与 他心脏病病人的身份极不相符。 |
[04:18] | Put these in water, blabbermouth! Come on in, Carter. | 把这放到水里去,大嘴婆! 进来吧,卡特。 |
[04:28] | Look at this room. It’s ugly, old and musty. | 瞧瞧这个房间。 难看、过时、陈腐。 |
[04:33] | But I never knew I could miss anything so much. | 可是我真没想到, 我竟会如此想念这里。 |
[04:37] | – Missed you too, you musty old buzzard. – Oh, thank you, sir. | – 我也想念你,你这迂腐的老糊涂。 – 哦,谢谢您,先生。 |
[04:40] | I’m not a religious man, but when they carted you off, I went out and lit a candle. | 我不是一个迷信的人,爵士。 不过当他们把您送去医院以后, 我跑出去点了一支蜡烛。 |
[04:45] | – Why, thank you, Carter. – Actually, sir, I was lighting it for myself. | – 是吗,谢谢你,卡特。 – 实际上,先生,我是为自己点的。 |
[04:49] | If anything happened to you, what would happen to me, after 37 years? | 我跟了您37年了,如果您 有什么事的话,我该怎么办呢? |
[04:53] | 37 years! Has it been all that long? | 37年!有那么久了? |
[04:56] | Yes, sir. This is 1952, that was in October 1915. The Shepherd’s Bush murder. | 是啊,先生。现在是1952年,当时是 1915年10月,牧丛区的布什谋杀案。 |
[05:01] | The chemist accused of putting cyanide in his uncle’s toothpaste. | 那个药剂师被控把氰化物 放进了他叔父的牙膏。 |
[05:06] | My first murder trial. I was more frightened than the defendant. | 我负责的第一个谋杀案。 当时我比被告更害怕。 |
[05:11] | First time I rose to make an objection, my wig fell off. Where’s my wig? | 我第一次站起来提出反对的时候, 我的假发还掉下来了。我的假发呢? |
[05:16] | Right here. | 在这儿呢。 |
[05:20] | – I’ve guarded it with me life. – I hope it still fits. | – 我以我的生命来守护它。 – 希望大小还合适。 |
[05:23] | I lost 30lbs in that wretched hospital. | 在那家可恶的医院里 我的体重掉了30磅。 |
[05:26] | Still, I suppose my head isn’t any smaller. | 不过,我想我的 脑袋应该没缩水。 |
[05:35] | What’s all this? | 这都是什么? |
[05:37] | – We’ve put it in mothballs. – Mothballs? Am I not to practise again? | – 我们放了樟脑丸。 – 樟脑丸?难道我还不能重新开业? |
[05:42] | Of course. The solicitors have been breaking down our doors. | 当然可以。那些法律顾问们 快把我们的房门砸破了。 |
[05:46] | – I’ve got some interesting briefs for you. – That’s better. | – 我这儿有几个挺好的辩护状。 – 那还差不多。 |
[05:50] | Divorce case, a tax appeal, and an important marine insurance claim. | 一个离婚案,一个税务申诉案, 还有一个重要的船舶保险索赔案。 |
[05:54] | – Nice smooth matters with excellent fees. – No, Carter. | – 都是容易打理而且报酬不错的案子。 – 不,卡特。 |
[05:58] | I’m sorry, but you’re not to undertake any criminal cases. Your doctors have… | 我很抱歉,先生。不过您不可以接 任何刑事案件。您的医生们说…… |
[06:02] | Doctors! They’ve deprived me of alcohol, tobacco, female companionship. | 医生!他们已经剥夺了我 接触酒精、烟草和女人的权利。 |
[06:07] | If only they’d let me do something worthwhile! | 他们就容不得 我做任何有意思的事! |
[06:10] | Sorry, sir. | 对不起,威尔弗莱德爵士。 |
[06:11] | Might as well get a bigger box, more mothballs, put me away too. | 最好找个大一点的盒子, 多找点樟脑丸,把我也放进去。 |
[06:15] | – 2.30, Sir Wilfrid. Time for our little nap! – Oh, get out! | – 两点半啦,爵士。咱们该午睡了! – 哦,出去! |
[06:19] | Beddy-bye. We’d better go upstairs now, get undressed and lie down. | 乖,该睡觉啦。咱们最好上楼去, 脱掉衣服躺下来。 |
[06:23] | – We? What a nauseating prospect. – Upstairs, please. | – 咱们?听着真恶心。 – 请上楼去吧。 |
[06:27] | Are you aware that, while on my sickbed, | 你知道吗,当我 躺在病床上的时候, |
[06:30] | I seriously considered strangling you with one of your own rubber tubes. | 曾经很严肃地考虑过 找一根你的橡皮管把你勒死。 |
[06:35] | I would then have admitted the crime, retained myself for the defence. | 然后我会承认自己的罪行, 并担任自己的辩护律师。 |
[06:41] | My lord, members of the jury, I hereby enter a plea of justifiable homicide. | 法官大人,各位陪审员,我在此 为一个情有可原的杀人犯祈求宽恕。 |
[06:48] | For four months this alleged angel of mercy has pored, probed, | 整整四个月,这个所谓的仁慈天使监视、 窥探、针刺、管制、霸占了我无助的病体。 |
[06:53] | punctured, pillaged and plundered my helpless body | |
[06:57] | while tormenting my mind with a steady drip of baby talk. | 并且坚持不懈地把我 当成小孩子说话,让我饱受折磨。 |
[07:01] | Come along now, like a good boy. Oh, no. | 来吧,做个乖孩子。哦,不。 |
[07:04] | Take your hands off me, or I’ll strike you with my cane. | 把你的手拿开, 否则我就用手杖打你。 |
[07:07] | – You wouldn’t, it might break your cigars. – What cigars? | – 你不会的,你会弄断你的雪茄。 – 雪茄,什么雪茄? |
[07:10] | – The ones you’re smuggling in your cane. – Cane? | – 你藏在你手杖里的雪茄呗。 – 手杖? |
[07:21] | You could be jailed for this. You had no search warrant. | 你应该为此下监狱, 你可没有搜查证。 |
[07:24] | In hospital he’d hide cigars and brandy all over the place. | 在医院里他把雪茄和 白兰地藏得到处都是。 |
[07:28] | We called him Wilfrid the fox. | 我们叫他老狐狸威尔弗莱德。 |
[07:31] | – I’m confiscating these. – Can’t I have just one? | – 这些我都没收了。 – 我就留一支行吗? |
[07:35] | No. Upstairs. | 不行。上楼。 |
[07:38] | A few puffs after meals? Please. | 就在饭后吸两口?拜托了。 |
[07:43] | I’ll do it. Some dark night when her back is turned, I’ll snatch her thermometer | 我真会下手的。某个 月黑风高之夜,当她转过身去, |
[07:47] | and plunge it between her shoulder blades. So help me, I will. | 我会抓起她的体温计插进 她的肩胛骨。我可是当真的。 |
[07:51] | Oh, no, sir. You mustn’t walk up. We’ve installed something for you here. It’s a lift. | 不,不,先生。您不用走上去。 我们为您安装了一部设备,在这儿。 是一部电梯,先生。 |
[07:57] | A lift? I’m sick of this plot to make me a helpless invalid. | 电梯?我讨厌你们把我 当成一个没用的病人。 |
[08:01] | I think it’s a splendid idea. Let’s try it, shall we? | 我觉得这个主意妙极了。 咱们来试试看怎么样? |
[08:06] | Out of there. I’ll try it. It’s my lift because it was my heart attack. | 走开,我自己来试。 这是我的电梯,有心脏病的人是我。 |
[08:11] | Here you are. Simply press this button for up and this one for down. | 在这儿。按这个按钮就是上楼, 按这个就是下楼。 |
[08:15] | Carter, I warn you, if this contraption should collapse, | 卡特,我警告你, 万一这玩意儿散架了, |
[08:18] | if the barrister should fall off the bannister… | 出庭律师大人从栏杆上 摔下去那可有得瞧…… |
[08:30] | Remarkable. Smoothest flight I’ve had in years. | 太妙了。我多少年都 没这么顺溜地上过楼了。 |
[08:32] | – Upsy-daisy! – Once more to get the feel of the controls. | – 起来吧! – 再来一次,我要熟悉一下操作。 |
[08:51] | Good afternoon. Is it possible to see Sir Wilfrid? | 下午好,卡特。 我们可以见威尔弗莱德爵士吗? |
[08:54] | I didn’t make an appointment, but this is urgent. | 抱歉,我没有预约, 但是事情很紧急。 |
[08:57] | If it’s about a brief, I’m sorry, but we’re full. Sir Wilfrid has all that he can handle. | 如果是辩护状的话,梅休先生,我很抱歉, 威尔弗莱德爵士的日程都排满了。 |
[09:02] | I’m sure he’ll want this brief. | 我想他一定会 接这个辩护状。 |
[09:04] | Serious criminal matter. | 是重大的刑事案件。 |
[09:09] | Absolutely not, Mr Mayhew. Sir Wilfrid is still convalescent. | 绝对不行,梅休先生。 威尔弗莱德爵士还在康复期间。 |
[09:12] | He can’t accept anything of an overstimulating nature. | 他不能接任何 刺激性的案子。 |
[09:16] | Put me on a diet of bland civil suits. Hello, Mayhew. | 他们给我定了很多清规戒律。 你好啊,梅休。 |
[09:19] | Hello. Distressing news about your health. | 你好,威尔弗莱德, 听说你身体不好我很难过。 |
[09:22] | It’s tragic. You’d better get a man with younger arteries. | 是很惨。你最好找个 动脉年轻一点儿的家伙。 |
[09:25] | If you could just give us a few minutes. This is Mr Leonard Vole. | 你只要能给我们几分钟就行了。 这位是伦纳德·沃尔先生。 |
[09:29] | – He’s in rather a ghastly mess, I’m afraid. – How do you do, Mr Vole? | – 他面临的状况恐怕是糟糕透了。 – 你好啊,沃尔先生? |
[09:35] | Well, according to Mr Mayhew, I’m not doing at all well. | 是啊,梅休先生说, 我的状况很糟糕。 |
[09:38] | Sir Wilfrid! Sir Wilfrid! | 威尔弗莱德爵士! 威尔弗莱德爵士! |
[09:41] | – You’re dawdling again! – Oh, shut up! | – 你又在闲逛了! – 哦,闭嘴! |
[09:44] | Sorry, Mayhew. Try me again when you’ve something not too stimulating. | 对不起,梅休。等你有 不那么刺激的案子了再来找我吧。 |
[09:49] | Like a postman bitten by a stray dog. | 比方某只迷路的 小狗咬了邮差什么的。 |
[09:58] | I wish you could help us, Wilfrid, but I quite understand. Take care of yourself. | 嗯,我真希望你能帮我们,威尔弗莱德, 不过我非常理解。你自己保重。 |
[10:04] | Mayhew! Mayhew! | 梅休!梅休! |
[10:07] | Oh, no. Sir Wilfrid, please. | 哦,不。 威尔弗莱德爵士,请别。 |
[10:10] | Don’t worry, we won’t take the brief, but an old friend needs help. | 别担心,我不会接这个案子, 但是老朋友需要我的帮助。 |
[10:14] | Surely I can give him a word of advice. | 我当然可以给他一点建议。 |
[10:17] | Come on, I’ll give you five minutes. No, no, I don’t want you, just Mayhew. | 好,来吧,梅休,我给你五分钟。 不,不,你不用进来,只要梅休。 |
[10:21] | Our nap! Sir Wilfrid! Our nap! | 咱们的午睡! 威尔弗莱德爵士!咱们的午睡! |
[10:24] | You go ahead. Start it without me. | 你自己去吧。 没有我你也能睡。 |
[10:28] | This is your fault. You should not have permitted it. | 都是你的错,卡特先生。 你不该允许他这样。 |
[10:31] | It is not my fault. I distinctly told Sir Wilfrid no criminal cases. | 不是我的错。我很明确地告诉 威尔弗莱德爵士,不能接刑事案件。 |
[10:34] | Well, if it’s anyone’s fault, I expect it’s mine. | 哦,如果真的有人错了, 那就是我的错。 |
[10:37] | Seems silly to me, but Mr Mayhew thinks it’s very urgent. | 在我看来有点荒唐, 但是梅休先生觉得这事儿很紧急。 |
[10:40] | – He thinks I may be arrested any minute. – Arrested for what? | – 他认为我现在随时可能被捕。 – 因为什么被捕? |
[10:44] | Well, for murder. | 嗯,因为谋杀。 |
[10:47] | Oh! | 哦! |
[10:48] | It’s the case of Emily French. You’ve probably seen reports in the press. | 是埃米莉·弗伦奇谋杀案。 你应该从报上看到过报导了。 |
[10:52] | Middle-aged widow, well-off, living with a housekeeper at Hampstead. | 死者是个中年寡妇,很有钱, 跟女管家一起住在伦敦汉普斯特德。 |
[10:56] | Mr Vole had been with her earlier. | 沃尔先生在 案发当晚曾去拜访她。 |
[10:58] | When the housekeeper returned, she found her dead, | 女管家回到家的时候, 发现她已经死了, |
[11:02] | struck on the back of the head and killed. | 后脑勺遭到重击致死。 |
[11:04] | Vole seems caught in a web of circumstantial evidence. | 看起来有一大堆 间接证据都指向了沃尔。 |
[11:07] | Perhaps if I gave you the details you’d suggest the strongest line of defence. | 如果我把细节都告诉你,你也许 可以告诉我最有效的辩护策略。 |
[11:11] | – I’d probably think better with a cigar. – Of course. | – 你口袋里的雪茄先给我一支好吗? – 当然可以。 |
[11:15] | No previous convictions. He’s of good character with an excellent war record. | 没有犯罪前科,为人不错, 还有良好的服役记录。 |
[11:19] | – You’d like him a lot. – They’ve confiscated the matches. A light. | – 你会喜欢他的。 – 他们没收了我的火柴。给个火吧。 |
[11:24] | The defence may turn on establishing an alibi for the night of the murder. | 我认为辩方如果能建立起谋杀 当晚的不在场证明就好了。 |
[11:28] | – I haven’t got any. Let me get you some. – Lord, no! You don’t know Miss Plimsoll. | – 抱歉,我没带火柴。我帮你去拿。 – 天啊,别!你哪知道普利姆索尔小姐。 |
[11:33] | This will take all our cunning. | 这会让我们的诡计毁于一旦。 |
[11:40] | Young man! | 小伙子! |
[11:42] | Come here, please. | 请你过来。 |
[11:44] | Your solicitor and I feel you may be able to enlighten me on an important point. | 你的法律顾问和我觉得你也许 可以在一个重要问题上给我们点启发。 |
[11:49] | – Yes. Thank you. – Sir Wilfrid! | – 好的,谢谢。 – 威尔弗莱德爵士! |
[11:51] | You’re not in bed yet? Upstairs! | 你还没去睡啊?上楼去! |
[11:57] | – Give me a match. – Sorry, I never carry them. | – 给我一根火柴。 – 对不起,我从来不带火柴。 |
[12:00] | – What? You said I’d like him. – But I do have a lighter. | – 什么?你还说我会喜欢他的。 – 但是我带了打火机。 |
[12:03] | You’re quite right, Mayhew, I do like him. Thank you. | 你说对了,梅休, 我喜欢他。谢谢。 |
[12:07] | Can you imagine Miss Plimsoll’s face if she saw me now? | 要是被普利姆索尔小姐 看到了,你猜她会是什么表情? |
[12:11] | Then let’s make absolutely sure that she doesn’t. | 那我们就确保 她不会看到好了。 |
[12:16] | Splendid. All the instincts of a skilled criminal. | 非常好。非常 杰出的犯罪本能。 |
[12:20] | – Thank you, sir. – Here. | – 谢谢你,先生。 – 给你。 |
[12:27] | Whether or not you murdered a middle-aged widow, | 小伙子,不管你是不是 真的杀了一个中年寡妇, |
[12:30] | you certainly saved the life of an elderly barrister. | 你肯定是救了 一个老年出庭律师的命。 |
[12:34] | I haven’t murdered anybody. It’s absurd. | 我没有杀任何人。 这真可笑。 |
[12:36] | Christine, that’s my wife, she thought I may be implicated and needed a lawyer. | 我妻子克莉丝汀认为我可能 被卷进去了,可能需要一位律师。 |
[12:40] | That’s why I went to see Mr Mayhew. Now he thinks he needs a lawyer | 所以我就去找了梅休先生。 结果他说他也要找一位律师, |
[12:44] | and now I have two lawyers. It’s rather silly. | 于是现在我有了两位律师。 真有意思。 |
[12:47] | I am a solicitor. Sir Wilfrid is a barrister. | 沃尔,我是初级律师。 威尔弗莱德爵士是高级出庭律师。 |
[12:49] | Only a barrister can actually plead a case in court. | 只有高级出庭律师 才可以在高等法院出庭。 |
[12:52] | – Oh, I see. – She shall not even find the ashes. | – 哦,我明白了。 – 她连烟灰也别想看到。 |
[12:59] | – Sit down. – Thank you. | – 坐吧。 – 谢谢。 |
[13:02] | I saw in the paper that Mrs French had been found dead with her head bashed in. | 我从报上看到消息,说弗伦奇太太 被发现死于家中,头部遭到重击。 |
[13:06] | It also said the police were anxious to interview me since I visited that evening. | 还说警方急于约见我, 因为案发当晚我曾拜访弗伦奇太太。 |
[13:11] | – Naturally, I went to the police station. – Did they caution you? | – 所以,我就去了警察局。 – 他们向你宣读警告词了吗? |
[13:16] | I don’t quite know. They asked if I’d like to make a statement | 我也不太清楚。 他们问我是不是要做什么陈述, |
[13:19] | and said they’d write it down and it might be used against me. Is that a caution? | 说他们会记录下来,有可能成为 不利于我的呈堂证供。这就是警告词吗? |
[13:24] | Well, it can’t be helped now. | 嗯,这就没办法了。 |
[13:26] | – They seemed quite satisfied. – They seemed satisfied, Mr Vole. | – 他们很礼貌,也似乎很满意。 – 是“似乎”很满意,沃尔先生。 |
[13:31] | He thinks that he made a statement and that’s the end of it. Isn’t it obvious | 他还以为他跑去 做了陈述,这件事就结束了。 这还不明显吗?他们已经把你当成了 首要嫌疑人。恐怕你很快就要被捕了。 |
[13:35] | that you will be regarded as the principal suspect? I’m afraid you’ll be arrested. | |
[13:40] | I’ve done nothing! Why should I be arrested? | 可是我什么也没干! 为什么要被逮捕? |
[13:42] | This is England! You don’t get arrested or convicted for crimes you haven’t done. | 这里是英格兰!你总不会 因为没有犯过的罪被逮捕吧。 |
[13:46] | We try not to make a habit of it. | 我们尽可能 不把这种事变成习惯。 |
[13:50] | But it does happen, though, doesn’t it? | 那么说,确实 发生过,对吗? |
[13:53] | Of course. There was that case of that fellow, whatshisname, Adolph Beck. | 是啊,那个人叫什么来着, 阿道夫·贝克还是贝克尔? (阿道夫·贝克诈骗案,19世纪末英国著名冤案) |
[13:58] | In jail for years and they suddenly found it was another chap. | 他坐了八年牢,结果他们 突然发现是另一个人干的。 (阿道夫·贝克诈骗案,19世纪末英国著名冤案) |
[14:01] | – He’d been innocent! – Unfortunate, but restitution was made. | – 他是无辜的! – 是很不走运,但是他也得到了补偿。 |
[14:05] | He received a pardon, a bounty from the crown, and was restored to normal life. | 他获得了国王颁发的特赦令 和赔偿金,回归了正常的生活。 |
[14:09] | That’s all right for him. What if it had been murder? What if he’d hanged? | 对他来说还算好。如果是谋杀案 该怎么办?如果他被绞死了该怎么办? |
[14:13] | How would they have restored him to his normal life then? | 他们还怎么让他回归正常的生活? |
[14:17] | Mr Vole, you must not take such a morbid point of view. | 沃尔先生,你不能用 那么病态的观点看问题。 |
[14:21] | It’s just when you say these things are closing in on me, it’s like a nightmare. | 抱歉。您的话突然让我感到这一切 竟离我那么近,就像一个噩梦。 |
[14:25] | Relax. You’re in the hands of the finest, most experienced barrister in London. | 放轻松,沃尔,你现在面对的是全伦敦 最好、最有经验的高级出庭律师。 |
[14:30] | Let’s get this straight. I may have done something highly unethical. | 梅休,我们还是实话实说吧。 我这么做可能是不太厚道。 |
[14:34] | I’ve taken your cigar but I’m not taking your case. I can’t. | 我拿了你的雪茄,但我却 不能接你的案子。我接不了。 |
[14:38] | I’m forbidden. My doctors would never allow it. I’m truly sorry, young man. | 我被限制了。我的医生不会 同意的。我非常抱歉,小伙子。 |
[14:43] | But if you’d like the case handled by these chambers, | 不过,如果你仍然希望由 我这儿的人来负责的话, |
[14:46] | – I’d recommend Mr Brogan-Moore. – Yes. A very able man. | – 我推荐布洛根-摩尔先生。 – 是啊,非常能干的人。 |
[14:50] | – I second Sir Wilfrid’s recommendation. – All right, sir, if you say so. | – 我赞成威尔弗莱德爵士的推荐。 – 好吧,先生,既然您这么说。 |
[14:59] | Hold this. | 拿好了。 |
[15:04] | Carter? | 卡特? |
[15:05] | I would like to see Brogan-Moore here as soon as he comes in from court. | 等布洛根-摩尔出庭回来了, 请他马上来我办公室。 |
[15:09] | Sir Wilfrid, I have never known such insubordination. | 威尔弗莱德爵士,我还 从没见过那么不顺从的病人。 |
[15:12] | Not even as a nurse during the war. | 就算是做战地 护士时也没见过。 |
[15:15] | What war was that? The Crimean War, no doubt. | 是什么战争? 显然是上世纪的克里米亚战争。 |
[15:20] | You’ll like Brogan-Moore, he’s had excellent training. Under me. | 你会喜欢布洛根-摩尔的, 他绝对训练有素,在我手下。 |
[15:23] | This morning I had no lawyers at all and now suddenly I have three. | 今天早上我还没有律师呢, 现在我一下子有了三位。 |
[15:27] | We should explain that I have very little money. | 我得向您和威尔弗莱德爵士 解释一下,我没什么钱。 |
[15:30] | I shan’t be able to pay all the costs and fees. | 我付不起律师费。 |
[15:33] | We’ll get a fourth lawyer to sue you. | 我们可以再找 一位律师来起诉你。 |
[15:35] | He won’t get very much. I haven’t had a job in four months. | 恐怕他也得不到什么钱。 我已经失业四个月了。 |
[15:38] | – What sort of work do you do? – Well, uh… | – 你是做什么的? – 嗯,呃…… |
[15:41] | My last job was as a mechanic. The foreman kept riding me all the time. | 我最后一份工作是做机修工。 工头一直刁难我。 |
[15:47] | – I took it as long as I could, then I quit. – And before that? | – 我一直到了忍无可忍才辞职。 – 之前呢? |
[15:50] | I worked in a department store, in toys, demonstrating children’s building sets. | 之前我在百货公司玩具部, 为孩子们演示积木玩具。 |
[15:55] | Of course, it lasted only during Christmas. Before that I tested electric blankets. | 当然,那只是圣诞节期间的事。 在此之前我是检测电热毯的。 |
[16:00] | – Electric blankets? – I suppose you think I’m a bit of a drifter. | – 电热毯? – 哦,我想您一定觉得我就像个流浪汉。 |
[16:05] | It’s true, in a way, but I’m really not like that. | 从某种程度上来说其实就是这样, 但是我也真的不愿意这样。 |
[16:08] | My army service unsettled me. That and living abroad. I was stationed in Germany. | 我的军队生涯以及在国外的生活 让我变得难以安定。我是在德国服役的。 |
[16:12] | It was fine there, though. That’s where I met my wife. | 不过在那儿还不错。在那儿 我遇到了我妻子克莉丝汀。 |
[16:15] | She was an actress, and a good one. She’s a wonderful wife to me, too. | 她是个演员,一个好演员。 她也是我的好妻子。 |
[16:20] | But I haven’t been much of a provider, I’m afraid. | 不过我恐怕没有给她 提供什么好的生活条件。 |
[16:23] | Somehow, I just don’t seem able to settle down now I’ve come back to this country. | 不知怎么搞的,我回国以后, 好像就是没有办法安定下来。 |
[16:27] | – If I could just put my eggbeater across. – Eggbeater? | – 要是我的打蛋器能推广出去就好了。 – 打蛋器? |
[16:32] | Yes, sir. I, uh, I’m a bit of an inventor. Nothing big, just little household things. | 是的,先生。呃,我喜欢搞点发明, 不是什么大发明,只是一些小玩意儿。 |
[16:37] | Pocket pencil sharpeners, key chain flashlights. | 袖珍卷笔刀啊, 闪光钥匙链啊什么的。 |
[16:41] | But my best is really this eggbeater. | 而我最好的发明就是打蛋器。 |
[16:43] | It not only beats, it also separates the yolk from the white. | 不仅仅是打匀, 还能把蛋黄和蛋清分开。 |
[16:47] | Is that really desirable? | 有必要分开吗? |
[16:49] | If you were a housewife, you’d see it right away. | 如果您是家庭主妇, 您就会知道了。 |
[16:52] | The trouble is, I need money for manufacturing and promotion. | 问题在于,我需要钱 来制造和推广。 |
[16:55] | I was really hoping that’s what Mrs French might do for me after I met her. | 我认识弗伦奇太太以后, 真的很希望她能为我投资。 |
[16:59] | – Exactly how did you meet Mrs French? – That’s rather funny in itself. | – 那你是怎么认识弗伦奇太太的? – 说起来挺有意思。 |
[17:05] | It was 3 September. I remember because it’s my wife’s birthday. | 那天是9月3日。我记得很牢, 因为那天是我妻子的生日。 |
[17:09] | I was window-shopping in Oxford Street, | 我正在牛津街浏览商店橱窗, |
[17:12] | daydreaming about what I’d buy for her, if I had any money. | 盘算着如果我有钱的话, 会给我妻子买什么礼物。 |
[18:04] | – You really like this one? – Very much. | – 你真的喜欢这一顶? – 哦,非常喜欢。 |
[18:06] | – You don’t think it’s too mad? – Mad? | – 你不觉得这太疯疯癫癫了? – 疯疯癫癫? |
[18:09] | Not at all. Daring, perhaps. I wouldn’t recommend it to every woman. But you? | 一点也不。可能是有些大胆。我不会 向所有女人推荐这一顶。但是你不一样。 |
[18:13] | – Why shouldn’t you attract attention? – You think so? | – 你多吸引点目光又有什么问题呢? – 哦,你真这么想? |
[18:16] | Absolutely. But if I could suggest one little thing. | 当然。请允许我 提一点小小的建议。 |
[18:20] | Perhaps we could tip it and bring it back a bit like that. Show more of your face. | 也许我们可以提起来, 往后移一点,让你的脸露出多一点。 |
[18:26] | – My bus. Goodbye. – Good… | – 我的公共汽车来了。再见。 – 再…… |
[18:29] | You buy that hat. I insist. | 买下来吧,我坚持。 |
[18:33] | Actually, it was a ridiculous sort of hat – a silly thing with ribbons and flowers. | 其实那顶帽子挺可笑的, 又是缎带、又是大花的…… |
[18:38] | I’m constantly surprised that women’s hats do not provoke more murders. | 我一直都很奇怪,女人的帽子 为什么没有引起更多的谋杀案。 |
[18:42] | Go on, please. | 好了,说下去吧。 |
[18:44] | I was only trying to be nice to make her feel good. | 我只是想表示一下善意, 让她感觉好一点。 |
[18:47] | I never dreamed I’d see her again. Or the hat. | 我没想到还会再见到她, 还有她的帽子。 |
[18:49] | – But you did? – Yes, a few weeks later. | – 但是你都见到了? – 是的,就在几星期后。 |
[18:51] | Again, by accident. I was peddling my eggbeaters and business was a little slow. | 仍然是巧遇。当时我正到处 推销我的打蛋器,但是进展缓慢。 (银幕上是1939年的经典影片《荡寇志》, 主人公杰西·詹姆斯的扮演者即 伦纳德·沃尔“本人”- 泰隆·鲍华) |
[19:21] | Would you mind, madam? Your hat. | 对不起,女士。您的帽子。 |
[19:24] | – Oh, it’s you! – Hello! | – 哦,是你啊! – 你好啊! |
[19:26] | It’s your fault, you know. You chose it yourself. | 知道吗,这是你的错。 帽子是你选的。 |
[19:30] | – May I? – Sure, if you like. | – 我上来好吗? – 好啊,当然可以。 |
[19:36] | Thank you. It’s such a bother taking it off and putting it back on again. | 谢谢。一会儿脱下来、 一会儿戴上去,太麻烦了。 |
[19:41] | That chap is Jesse James. They’ve led him into an ambush. It’s not at all cricket. | 这个家伙叫杰西·詹姆斯。他们 把他引入了埋伏圈。太不光明磊落了。 |
[19:46] | – Don’t worry, he shoots his way out. – He does? | – 别担心,他还是杀出了重围。 – 是吗? |
[19:48] | – I’ve seen it. I got to the movies a lot. – You do? | – 这个电影我看过。我经常来看电影。 – 是吗? |
[19:51] | I get restless so I go out. Then I find I’ve no place to go so I go to the movies. | 我闲不住了就会出门, 没地方可去了我就会来看电影。 |
[19:57] | Sometimes I see the same one two or three times. Ooh. | 有时候一部电影 我会看两三遍。哦。 |
[20:01] | – Toffee? – Oh, yes, please. | – 来颗太妃糖? – 哦,好的,谢谢。 |
[20:04] | At this time you had no idea that Mrs French was well-off? | 这时候你还不知道 弗伦奇太太很有钱? |
[20:07] | No. Absolutely not. We were sitting in the cheap seats. | 是啊,完全不知道。 我们坐的都是便宜的座位。 |
[20:10] | All I knew was she seemed to be very lonely, had no friends whatsoever. | 我只知道她看起来很孤独, 好像没什么朋友。 |
[20:14] | She and her husband lived abroad in British Nigeria. | 她和她丈夫以前 在英属尼日利亚生活。 |
[20:17] | He was in the colonial service. He died in ’45, of a heart attack. | 她丈夫在当地的政府工作。 他死于1945年,心脏病。 |
[20:22] | Please, Mayhew, not when I’m smoking. Go on, young man. | 拜托,梅休,我抽烟的时候 你别说这种事。说下去吧,小伙子。 |
[20:25] | Well, they finally polished off Jesse James, | 嗯,他们最终还是 干掉了杰西·詹姆斯, |
[20:29] | and after we left the movie she invited me to her house for tea. | 然后我们离开了电影院, 她邀请我去她家喝茶。 |
[20:36] | I think it’s the most fascinating thing I’ve ever seen. Janet, come and look. | 我还从没见过那么奇妙的东西。 珍妮特,过来看看。 |
[20:40] | I’ve seen eggbeaters before, ma’am. | 我见过打蛋器,太太。 |
[20:42] | But this beats so quickly and it separates too! | 可是这个打得更快, 而且可以分开蛋黄和蛋清! |
[20:46] | It must be cen-trifugal or centrifugal, which is it? | 这原理叫做离心力, 还是向心力? |
[20:49] | It’s specific gravity, but it whips cream too. | 是一种特殊的吸引力。 还可以打奶油。 |
[20:51] | Did you hear that, Janet? It whips cream too. | 听见了吗,珍妮特? 还可以打奶油。 |
[20:55] | We must have one. Is it expensive? | 我们一定要买一个。 是不是很贵? |
[20:57] | Compliments of the inventor, manufacturer and sole distributor. | 恭维一下发明者、 制作者兼销售者就行了。 哦,谢谢你。我们会一直用下去的, 是不是,珍妮特? |
[21:01] | Thank you. We’ll use it constantly, won’t we, Janet? | |
[21:05] | Come, we’d better get out of here. Janet doesn’t like visitors in her kitchen. | 来,沃尔先生,我们最好离开这儿。 珍妮特不喜欢有人进她的厨房。 |
[21:17] | Ha! | 嗐! |
[21:20] | It’s a bit chilly in here, isn’t it? Shall we have a fire? | 这儿有点冷,是不是? 我们生个火怎么样? |
[21:24] | Why not? | 为什么不呢? |
[21:26] | This is a charming room. | 这房间真漂亮。 |
[21:28] | Hubert and I collected all these things when we lived in Africa. | 这些都是休伯特和我 在非洲生活期间收藏的。 |
[21:33] | Hubert was my husband. | 休伯特是我已故的丈夫。 |
[21:36] | Well, now, there’s a loveable chap. | 哦,嘿,这东西很有意思。 |
[21:39] | That’s the mask of the witch doctor. | 这是巫医的面具。 |
[21:42] | He wore it when he pulled our servants’ teeth. | 他给我们的仆人们 拔牙的时候就戴这个。 |
[21:44] | So Hubert used to call him a witch dentist. | 所以休伯特总叫他“巫牙医”。 |
[21:49] | – Hubert was so witty. – Yes, I can see that. | – 休伯特为人很风趣。 – 是啊,看得出来。 |
[21:53] | Oh, here’s tea. | 哦,茶来了。 |
[21:57] | – Let’s use our good silver and china. – Oh, no, don’t bother, Mrs French. | – 珍妮特,应该用我们的好银器和瓷器。 – 哦,不,不用麻烦了,弗伦奇太太。 |
[22:02] | – This is perfectly all right. – Lemon or milk, please? | – 这就非常好了。 – 要柠檬还是牛奶? |
[22:05] | – I don’t really care. – Would you prefer sherry? | – 我无所谓。 – 雪利酒怎么样? |
[22:08] | – That’d be fine. – We’ve no’ got any. | – 那太好了。 – 我们没有雪利酒了。 |
[22:10] | Oh, but we have. There’s that bottle, the one we bought last Christmas. | 哦,有的。有一瓶, 我们去年圣诞节买的。 |
[22:14] | If you care for an eggnog there’s a wasted egg in the kitchen ready and separated. | 如果你喜欢蛋奶酒的话,厨房里还有 一只多余砸开的鸡蛋,蛋黄和蛋清都分开了。 |
[22:20] | Do sit down. Don’t mind Janet, Mr Vole. It’s just that she’s terribly Scotch. | 请坐吧。别在意珍妮特,沃尔先生。 她就是个坏脾气的苏格兰人。 |
[22:25] | Oh, is she? I thought she came with the collection. | 哦,是吗?我还以为 她跟这些藏品是一个地方来的。 |
[22:29] | You know, maybe I’ll take a glass of sherry myself. | 知道吗,也许我也 应该来一杯雪利酒。 |
[22:33] | I feel like Christmas, somehow. | 不知怎么搞的, 我觉得现在就像圣诞节。 |
[22:37] | After that I saw her once or twice a week. She always kept a bottle of sherry for me. | 此后我大约每周去拜访她一到两次。 她总为我留着一瓶雪利酒。 |
[22:42] | We’d talk, play canasta, listen to gramophone records, | 我们聊天、玩牌、听唱片, 主要是听吉尔伯特和沙利文的轻歌剧。 |
[22:45] | Gilbert and Sullivan mostly. | |
[22:48] | It’s so weird to think of her now, lying in that living room, murdered. | 现在想起她的感觉真奇怪, 她就这样躺在那个客厅里,被杀死了。 |
[22:52] | I assure you she’s been moved by now. To leave her would be unfeeling, unlawful, | 我向你保证,她现在一定被搬走了。 把她留在那儿未免太无情无义,也不卫生。 |
[22:57] | and unsanitary. | |
[23:01] | Tell Sir Wilfrid about the evening of the murder. | 跟威尔弗莱德爵士 说说案发当晚的事吧。 |
[23:05] | I went around to see her about eight o’clock. | 嗯,好的。我大约在 八点钟到了她家。 |
[23:08] | She fixed a sandwich, we talked, listened to The Mikado. | 她给我做了个三明治,我们聊天, 听了轻歌剧《日本天皇》。 |
[23:11] | I left about nine. I walked home. I got there about half past. | 我离开的时候大约是九点钟。 我是走回去的,到家时大约九点半。 |
[23:15] | I can prove that. I can swear to it, in or out of court, in the witness box, anywhere! | 这我能证明。我可以发誓,在法庭外、 法庭上、证人席上,任何地方都可以! |
[23:19] | How much money did you get from Mrs French? | 你拿过多少钱? – 问谁? – 问弗伦奇小姐。 |
[23:22] | – Nothing. – The truth. How much? | – 我没拿过,一英镑都没拿过。 – 说实话。拿了多少? |
[23:24] | – Why should she give me any money? – Because she was in love with you. | – 她为什么要给我钱? – 因为她爱上你了。 |
[23:28] | That’s ridiculous. She liked me. | 哦,真荒谬。她是喜欢我。 |
[23:30] | She pampered me like an aunt. But that’s all, I swear. | 她就像姑妈待侄子一样迁就我, 但也就仅此而已,我可以发誓。 |
[23:33] | – Why didn’t you tell her you had a wife? – I did! | – 你为什么没告诉她你是有妇之夫? – 我告诉她了! |
[23:36] | But you never took your wife along when you went there. Why not? | 但是你从来没 带你妻子去拜访她。 是啊,我没有。 为什么没有? |
[23:40] | – Because… – Because what? | – 嗯,因为…… – 因为什么? |
[23:42] | Because she was under the impression we didn’t get along too well. | 因为弗伦奇太太认为 我和我妻子克莉丝汀关系不好。 |
[23:45] | – Is that true? – No! We love each other. | – 是真的不好吗? – 不!我们彼此相爱。 |
[23:48] | – Then how did she get that impression? – She just seemed to want to believe it. | – 那她为什么会有这样的印象? – 哦,她好像愿意这么认为。 |
[23:52] | – You never corrected her. Why? – I was afraid she’d lose interest. | – 你从来没有纠正过她的想法。为什么? – 我怕她对我失去兴趣。 |
[23:56] | Because she was rich, and you were after her money. | – 因为她很有钱。 – 是啊,我想是的。 你惦记着她的钱。 |
[23:59] | Well, yes, in a way. | 嗯,从某种意义上来说,是这样。 |
[24:02] | I was hoping for a loan for my new invention. Just a few hundred pounds. | 我希望能为我的发明获取投资。 只要上百英镑就够了。 |
[24:07] | An honest business proposition, that’s all. Is that so wicked? | 就是正经的生意,仅此而已。 有那么不道德吗? |
[24:10] | You knew it was the housekeeper’s day off? | 你知道那天 是女管家出门的日子? |
[24:12] | – Well, yes. – You went there because she’d be alone? | – 嗯,是的。 – 你选那天去就因为知道她是一个人? |
[24:15] | No, because I thought she might be lonely. | 不,我选那天去是觉得 她可能太孤独了。 |
[24:18] | All right, lonely. You and the rich lonely widow all alone in that house | 哦,孤独。你跟那个 孤独的有钱寡妇同处一室, |
[24:22] | with a gramophone blaring The Mikado. | 留声机在播放 轻歌剧《日本天皇》。 |
[24:25] | Perhaps you turned up the volume to drown her cries. | 也许你有意开大了音量, 以掩盖她的叫喊声。 |
[24:28] | – When I left her she was alive! – When Janet came back she was dead. | – 我离开的时候她还活着! – 女管家回来的时候她已经死了。 |
[24:32] | The house had been ransacked! It said in the papers. It must’ve been a burglar. | 有人闯进了屋子,报纸上 就是这么说的。一定是入室抢劫。 |
[24:36] | I didn’t do it. No matter how bad things look, I didn’t do it! | 我没有杀人。不管看起来 对我有多么不利,我真的没有杀人! |
[24:40] | You must believe me. You do believe me, don’t you? | 你必须相信我。 你相信我,对吗? |
[24:45] | I do now, but I wasn’t sure. | 我现在相信了。 但我之前并不确定。 |
[24:48] | That’s why I subjected your eyes and my arteries to that ordeal. | 所以我刚才要让你的眼睛 和我的动脉忍受一下折磨。 |
[24:51] | – I’m sorry. – That’s all right. | – 很抱歉。 – 没关系。 |
[24:54] | As for things looking bad, they don’t look bad, Mr Vole, they look terrible. | 所谓看起来很不利,沃尔先生, 根本不是“不利”,是非常糟糕。 |
[24:58] | – Apparently you’ve no alibi at all. – But I have. I left Mrs French’s at nine. | – 显然你根本没有不在场证明。 – 可是我有。我离开弗伦奇太太家时是九点。 |
[25:02] | – By bus or underground? – No, I walked. It was a fine night. | – 坐公共汽车还是坐地铁? – 都不是,是走回去的。那晚天气很好。 |
[25:06] | – Did anyone see you? – Christine saw me when I got home. | – 有人看见你了吗? – 我到家的时候,克莉丝汀看见我了。 |
[25:09] | It was 9.26. I know because I went right to work on a clock I’ve been tinkering with. | 那时是21:26。我记得时间,因为当时 我一回家就去忙活我正在修的一只钟了。 |
[25:14] | – My wife will tell you. – Your wife loves you, yes? | – 我妻子会告诉您的。 – 你妻子很爱你,是不是? |
[25:17] | Very much. We’re devoted to each other. | 非常爱我。 我们彼此深爱。 |
[25:19] | You realise, Mr Vole, the testimony of a devoted wife does not carry much weight. | 沃尔先生,你有没有意识到,一位深爱 自己丈夫的妻子的证词,并没有多少说服力。 |
[25:25] | People might think Christine would lie on my account? | 他们会认为克莉丝汀是在为我撒谎? |
[25:28] | It has been known, Mr Vole. Blood is thicker than evidence. | 这很常见,沃尔先生。 这就叫护短。 |
[25:33] | – Ah, Brogan-Moore. Come in, come in. – So good to have you out of hospital. | – 啊,布洛根-摩尔。请进,请进。 – 真高兴看到你出院了。 |
[25:38] | I didn’t get a full pardon, I’m out on parole. You know Mr Mayhew, I believe. | 我还没正式被赦免呢,我是被假释出来的。 我想你一定认识梅休先生吧。 |
[25:43] | – This is his client, Mr Leonard Vole. – How do you do? | – 这位是他的委托人伦纳德·沃尔先生。 – 你好。 |
[25:46] | – How do you do? – The Emily French murder. | – 你好。 – 埃米莉·弗伦奇谋杀案。 |
[25:48] | – Oh, how do you do? – Badly, thank you. | – 哦,你好啊? – 他很糟,谢谢你。 |
[25:51] | A mass of circumstantial evidence. No alibi whatsoever. It’s a hot potato. | 一大堆间接证据, 没有不在场证明。是个烫手山芋。 |
[25:55] | – Tossing it into your lap. – Much obliged. | – 我帮你揽过来了。 – 真是强买强卖啊。 |
[25:57] | Your line of defence, however, will be lack of motive. | 你主要的辩护理由 可以定为缺乏犯罪动机。 |
[26:01] | You will agree that we can rule out a crime of passion, hm? | 可以排除情杀,你说呢? |
[26:04] | That leaves us with a murder for profit. | 再来看看谋财害命的可能性。 |
[26:07] | If Mr Vole had been sponging off Mrs French, why cut off the source of supply? | 如果说沃尔先生曾经从弗伦奇太太 身上榨取钱财,他又何必自断财路呢? |
[26:11] | Or, if he’d been hoping for a golden egg, why kill the goose before it was laid? | 反过来说,如果他还指望着这只肥鹅 给他下金蛋,那又何必在下蛋之前就把它宰了? |
[26:16] | No motive. No motive whatsoever. | 没有动机。怎么说都没有动机。 |
[26:20] | – You find some flaw in this reasoning? – No, no, it’s very sound as far as it goes. | – 你觉得这个推理有缺陷? – 不,不,目前为止听上去都很有道理。 |
[26:25] | Well, it’s all yours. You’ll find Mr Vole very responsive and quite candid. | 嗯,反正都是你的活儿。你会发现 沃尔先生是个反应很快的人,而且很坦诚。 |
[26:30] | So candid, he’s already told me we’ll have to sue him for our fees. | 坦诚得连他付不起律师费、 我们必须为此起诉他都照实说了。 |
[26:33] | Oh, we’ll simply put a lean on Mr Vole’s L80,000. | 哦,我们只要指望沃尔先生 那八万英镑就行了。 |
[26:37] | – What L80,000? – The L80,000 Mrs French left you. | – 什么八万英镑? – 弗伦奇太太留给你的八万英镑。 |
[26:42] | Left me? | 留给我? |
[26:43] | They opened Mrs French’s bank vault today and found her will. | 他们今天打开了弗伦奇太太的 银行保管箱,找到了她的遗嘱。 |
[26:49] | – Congratulations. – L80,000! | – 祝贺你。 – 八万英镑! |
[26:54] | And I was worried about a couple of hundred for that silly eggbeater. | 我还为那我傻乎乎的 打蛋器操了半天心。 |
[26:57] | I must call Christine. | 我得打电话告诉克莉丝汀。 |
[27:04] | Oh. | 哦。 |
[27:05] | This doesn’t make things look any better for me, does it? | 这事儿是不是 对我没什么好处? |
[27:08] | – No. I wouldn’t think so. – So now they’ll say I did have a motive. | – 是的。我认为是这样。 – 这样一来,他们就会说我是有动机的。 |
[27:12] | They will indeed. L80,000 makes for a very handsome motive. | 他们当然会这么说。 八万英镑是个非常好的动机。 |
[27:18] | I thought you were crazy but now they will arrest me! | 本来我还以为你们是疯了, 可现在他们真的要来抓我了! |
[27:20] | It’s not unlikely. | 并非无稽之谈。 |
[27:30] | As a matter of fact, it’s quite likely. They’re on their way up now. | 实际上,已经板上钉钉了。 他们正在上来的路上。 |
[27:33] | I knew nothing about that will. I’d no idea she’d any intention of leaving me money. | 可是,我对这份遗嘱一无所知。 我不明白她为什么要留给我那么多钱。 |
[27:38] | – If I didn’t know, how can it be a motive? – We’ll certainly bring that out in court. | – 这件事我根本不知道,又怎么可能成为动机呢? – 布洛根-摩尔在法庭上当然会提出这一点。 |
[27:42] | – It’s our old friend Inspector Hearne. – Chief Inspector as of last month. | – 是我们的老朋友赫恩警巡。 – 从上个月开始已经是总警巡了。 |
[27:47] | Chief Inspector? They must think a lot of you at Scotland Yard. | 总警巡?看来 苏格兰场很重视你啊。 |
[27:51] | You’re getting the de luxe treatment. | 你享受的是豪华待遇。 |
[27:54] | – Oh, in here, Chief Inspector. – Sorry to disturb you in your chambers. | – 哦,请进吧,总警巡。 – 很抱歉上门叨扰,威尔弗莱德爵士。 |
[27:59] | That’s perfectly all right. I never object to the actions of the police | 没关系。对于警方的行动, 我从来没提出过什么异议, |
[28:03] | – except once in a great while in court. – Yes, sir, I still have the scars. | – 只除了在法庭上偶尔为之。 – 是啊,先生,我至今心有余悸。 |
[28:07] | You know Mr Mayhew, Mr Brogan-Moore. | 梅休先生你应该认识, 这位是布洛根-摩尔先生。 |
[28:10] | This is Leonard Vole. You’d better search him, he may be armed with an eggbeater. | 这位是危险的伦纳德·沃尔。你最好 搜一下身,他可能武装有一个打蛋器。 |
[28:14] | – Is your name Leonard Vole? – Yes, it is. | – 你是伦纳德·沃尔? – 是的,我是。 |
[28:17] | I have a warrant for your arrest on the charge of murdering Emily French. | 我有一张你的逮捕证,罪名是 涉嫌在10月14日谋杀了埃米莉·弗伦奇。 |
[28:23] | I must warn you that anything you say may be taken down and used in evidence. | 我必须警告你,你说的任何话 都可能被记录下来、成为呈堂证供。 |
[28:28] | Well, I’m ready. Must I be handcuffed? | 好的,我准备好了。 要戴手铐吗? |
[28:31] | That won’t be necessary, sir. | 没有必要,先生。 |
[28:34] | I’ve never been arrested before, not even for walking a dog off a lead | 我还从来没被逮捕过。 我奉公守法,从没带不拴绳子的狗出门, – 也没有在营业时间之后去喝过啤酒。 – 被逮捕也没什么丢人的,沃尔先生。 |
[28:38] | – or having a beer after hours. – There’s no disgrace in being arrested. | |
[28:42] | Kings, prime ministers, archbishops, even barristers have stood in the dock. | 国王,首相,大主教, 甚至连出庭律师都曾经出现在被告席上。 |
[28:51] | – Somebody better call my wife. – I will, don’t worry. | – 最好有谁打个电话给我妻子。 – 我来打,别担心。 |
[28:55] | I’ll go too, see you’re properly charged. | 我跟你一起去, 确保你受到妥善的对待。 |
[28:58] | – You will see to it that he is well-treated? – We will. | – 你们会确保他受到妥善的对待吗? – 我们会的。 |
[29:01] | Would you like a cigar? Pardon me. | 要不要来支雪茄? 请原谅。 |
[29:06] | – That’s very kind of you, Sir Wilfrid. – I’d better not. It would constitute a bribe. | – 非常感谢,威尔弗莱德爵士。 – 最好别这样。这会被界定为贿赂。 |
[29:12] | We ought to be going, Mr Vole. | 我们该走了,沃尔先生。 |
[29:19] | One thing I’ve learned for sure, never look in a window with women’s hats. | 现在我明白了一件事, 永远不要站在女帽店外向里张望。 |
[29:23] | Good day, sir. | 再会,先生。 |
[29:27] | Makes a very nice impression, doesn’t he? | 给人印象不错, 是不是? |
[29:29] | – Yes, rather. Give him the monocle test? – Passed with flying colours. | – 是啊,相当不错。你给他做过“眼镜片测试”了? – 高分通过。 |
[29:34] | I hope he does as well in the dock. This is sticky, you know. | 希望他在被告席也有一样好的表现。 这很困难,你知道。 |
[29:37] | Of course. The prosecution will blast in with their heaviest artillery. | 当然。控方的炮火会很猛烈。 |
[29:41] | All you’ll have is one little popgun, an alibi furnished by his wife. | 而你手里只有一把小小的玩具枪, 就是他妻子提供的不在场证明。 |
[29:46] | Isn’t that an intriguing challenge? | 是不是一项 富有诱惑力的挑战? |
[29:48] | I think I’d like it more if it was less of a challenge and less intriguing. | 我宁可这案子 少一点挑战,少一点诱惑力。 |
[29:53] | Miss Plimsoll has issued an ultimatum. In bed in one minute or she’ll resign. | 抱歉,威尔弗莱德爵士,普利姆索尔小姐发出 最后通牒了。一分钟内您不上床,她就辞职。 |
[29:58] | Splendid. Give her a month’s pay and kick her down the stairs. | 太好了。给她一个月 工钱,把她踢下楼。 威尔弗莱德爵士,你该保重 自己的身体,否则我也要辞职。 |
[30:02] | Either you take care of yourself or I, too, shall resign. | |
[30:05] | This is blackmail. But you’re quite right. | 这是勒索。 不过你说得对,卡特。 |
[30:08] | For my first day this has already been rather hectic. I should be in bed. | 出院第一天,已经够 疯狂了。我也该上床了。 |
[30:16] | I’d better get in touch with Mrs Vole and have her come over. Will you sit in? | 我最好跟沃尔太太联系一下, 请她过来。你要不要一块儿来谈谈? |
[30:20] | Thank you, no. I’m in no condition to cope with emotional wives drenched in tears. | 谢谢了,不用。我现在可 应付不了那些哭哭啼啼的妻子们。 啊,普利姆索尔小姐,你这样子多迷人啊, 就像绞刑架旁的刽子手一样等在那儿。 |
[30:27] | Miss Plimsoll, how alluring you look, waiting like a hangman on the scaffold. | |
[30:33] | Take me, I’m yours. | 好了,现在我归你了。 |
[30:37] | Oh! | 哦! |
[30:38] | About Mrs Vole. Handle her gently, especially when you tell her of the arrest. | 那个沃尔太太,你得小心应对, 尤其是在告诉她逮捕消息的时候。 |
[30:42] | Bear in mind she’s a foreigner, so prepare for hysterics, even a fainting spell. | 记住她是个外国人,要准备好 她会歇斯底里,甚至晕倒。 |
[30:47] | Better have smelling salts ready, box of tissues and a nip of brandy. | 最好准备好嗅盐, 几盒纸巾,还有白兰地。 |
[30:52] | I do not think that will be necessary. | 我不认为有这个必要。 |
[30:58] | I never faint in case I don’t fall gracefully, | 我从来不会晕倒, 省得我没法姿态优美地倒下。 我也从来不用嗅盐, 因为眼睛受不了。 |
[31:01] | and I never use smelling salts because they puff up the eyes. | |
[31:05] | I’m Christine Vole. | 我是克莉丝汀·沃尔。 |
[31:08] | How do you do? This is Mr Brogan-Moore. | 你好。 这位是布洛根-摩尔先生。 |
[31:10] | How do you do? | 你好。 |
[31:12] | – I am Wilfrid Robarts. – How do you do? | – 我是威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨。 – 你好。 |
[31:16] | My dear Mrs Vole, I’m afraid we have bad news for you. | 亲爱的沃尔太太, 恐怕我有个坏消息要告诉你。 |
[31:19] | – Don’t be afraid, I’m quite disciplined. – There’s nothing to be alarmed about yet. | – 用不着“恐怕”,爵士,我是训练有素的。 – 现在还没必要惊慌。 |
[31:24] | Leonard has been arrested and charged with murder. Is that it? | 伦纳德因为涉嫌谋杀被逮捕了, 你就是想说这事儿吧? |
[31:28] | – Yes. – I knew he would be, I told him so. | – 正是。 – 我知道他会被捕,我告诉过他。 |
[31:31] | I’m glad you’re showing such fortitude. | 很高兴您表现出这样的坚韧。 |
[31:34] | Call it what you like. What is the next step? | 随你怎么说。 接下来会怎样? |
[31:38] | Your husband will have to stand trial, I’m afraid. | 你的丈夫恐怕必然要出庭受审。 |
[31:40] | Will you explain the procedure? Mr Brogan-Moore will lead the defence. | 你给她讲讲流程好吗? 布洛根-摩尔先生会担任辩方律师。 |
[31:46] | Oh? | 哦? |
[31:47] | – You will not defend Leonard? – Regrettably not. | – 你不打算为伦纳德辩护? – 很遗憾,不打算。 |
[31:50] | My health, or, rather, the lack of it, forbids me. | 我的健康,或者说是 缺乏健康,导致我干不了。 |
[31:53] | It is regrettable. Mr Mayhew described you as champion of the hopeless cause. | 真遗憾。梅休先生说你是 打理希望渺茫的案件的不二人选。 |
[32:01] | Is it, perhaps, that this cause is too hopeless? | 难道说,这个案子的希望 是过于渺茫了? |
[32:12] | I’ll have a serious talk with Dr Harrison. It was a mistake to let you come back here. | 我必须跟哈里森医生好好谈谈。 放你回来完全是个错误。 |
[32:18] | I should have taken you to a rest-home or a resort. | 我就该带你去疗养院, 或者某个度假胜地。 |
[32:20] | Some place quiet, far off, like Bermuda. | 某个,很远的 地方,比如百慕大。 |
[32:23] | Shut up. You just want to see me in those nasty shorts. | 闭嘴。你不就是想看 我穿那种恶心的小短裤吗。 |
[32:26] | Come now, Sir Wilfrid, you must not think of it. | 好啦,威尔弗莱德爵士, 别再胡思乱想了。 |
[32:29] | You must get ready for sleep, think beautiful thoughts. | 你该为午睡酝酿一下, 想点美好的事。 |
[32:34] | Now, let’s get undressed. Put these on, tops and bottoms, while I make your bed. | 好了,咱们把衣服脱了吧,换上这个, 从头换到脚。我帮你铺床。 |
[32:40] | After your rest we’ll have a nice cup of cocoa. | 等你休息好了, 咱们就美美地喝一杯可可。 |
[32:43] | Then perhaps we’ll have a walk around the square. | 然后我们也许 可以去广场散散步。 |
[32:46] | You know, I feel sorry for that nice Mr Vole. | 知道吗,我很为那个 和善的沃尔先生感到不平。 |
[32:49] | And not just because he was arrested, but that wife of his. She must be German. | 不仅仅是因为他被逮捕了, 还因为他的妻子。她一定是个德国人。 |
[32:54] | That’s what happens when we let our boys cross the Channel. They go crazy. | 我想这都是因为我们把小伙子们 都送到海峡那头去了,他们昏了头。 我认为政府应该管管外国妻子 的事情,下达个禁令什么的。 |
[32:59] | The government should do something about foreign wives. Like an embargo. | |
[33:03] | How else can we take care of our own surplus. Don’t you agree, Sir Wilfrid? | 我们自己的姑娘都找不到小伙子嫁了 可怎么行。你说呢,威尔弗莱德爵士? |
[33:07] | All right. Hop in! | 好了,钻进被窝吧! |
[33:11] | Sir Wilfrid? | 威尔弗莱德爵士? |
[33:16] | Sir Wilfrid! | 威尔弗莱德爵士! |
[33:18] | Come back! | 回来! |
[33:20] | Yes, of course I knew that Leonard had been seeing Mrs French quite frequently. | 是啊,我当然知道伦纳德 经常去拜访弗伦奇太太。 |
[33:25] | Go on. | 继续,继续。 |
[33:26] | I knew when he came home with a pair of green socks she’d knitted for him. | 我还知道他带回来过 一双她为他织的绿袜子。 |
[33:30] | That’s quite natural. I’m sure a jury will find it endearing. | 那很正常。我敢肯定, 这会讨陪审团的喜欢。 |
[33:33] | Leonard can be very endearing. He hates that particular shade of green | 伦纳德很会讨人喜欢。 他讨厌那双绿袜子, |
[33:38] | and the socks were two sizes too large, | 尺寸足足大了两码, |
[33:40] | but he wore them just the same to give her pleasure. | 但他还是照穿不误, 就为讨她的喜欢。 |
[33:43] | Leonard has a way with women. | 伦纳德对女人很有一手。 |
[33:45] | I only hope he has an all-woman jury. They will carry him from court in triumph. | 要是陪审团全是女人就好了。 她们会得意洋洋地把他从法庭上带出去。 |
[33:51] | A simple acquittal will do. Now, you know Mrs French left your husband money? | 只要给他无罪判决就行了。那么,沃尔太太, 您是否知道弗伦奇太太留了一笔钱给您丈夫? |
[33:56] | Yes. A lot of money. | 知道,一大笔钱。 |
[33:58] | Of course, your husband had no previous knowledge of this bequest? | 那么您丈夫事先当然 对这笔遗赠一无所知? |
[34:03] | Is that what he told you? | 他是这么跟你们说的? |
[34:06] | Surely you’re not suggesting different? | 难道你是在暗示事实并非如此? |
[34:08] | Oh, no, no. I do not suggest anything. | 哦,不,不。 我什么也没有暗示。 |
[34:12] | Clearly, she had come to look upon your husband as a son or favourite nephew. | 很显然,弗伦奇太太把您丈夫看作了儿子, 或是一个最喜欢的侄子。 |
[34:19] | You think Mrs French looked upon Leonard as a son? Or a nephew? | 你认为弗伦奇太太把 伦纳德看作儿子或者侄子? |
[34:23] | I do. An entirely natural and understandable relationship. | 是啊。这是非常自然 而且很好理解的关系。 |
[34:27] | What hypocrites you are in this country. | 你们这个国家的人多么虚伪。 |
[34:32] | Pardon me, Brogan-Moore. | 请原谅,布洛根-摩尔。 |
[34:34] | – Do you mind if I ask you a question? – Go right ahead, Sir Wilfrid. | – 沃尔太太,你介不介意我问你一个问题? – 你问吧,威尔弗莱德爵士。 |
[34:39] | You realise your husband’s entire defence rests on his word and yours? | 沃尔太太,你是否了解,你丈夫的辩护 完全要依赖于他的证词和你的证词? |
[34:43] | – I realise that. – And that the jury will be quite sceptical | – 我了解。 – 而且,对于一个被控犯有谋杀罪的人来说, |
[34:47] | of the word of a man accused of murder when supported only by that of his wife? | 如果只有他妻子的证词支持他的辩解, 则必然会使陪审团充满怀疑,你了解吗? |
[34:51] | – I realise that too. – Let us, then, at least make sure | – 这我也了解。 – 那么,就让我们确保 |
[34:54] | – the two are not in conflict. – By all means, let’s. | – 这两者不发生抵触。 – 当然,应该的。 |
[34:58] | I assume you want to help your husband? | 我想你是希望帮助你丈夫的? |
[35:01] | Of course I want to help Leonard. I want to help Mr Brogan-Moore and to help you. | 我当然希望帮助伦纳德。我也希望能帮助 布洛根-摩尔先生,还有你,威尔弗莱德爵士。 |
[35:07] | There. Isn’t that more comfortable for you? | 好了。这样你是不是舒服一点? |
[35:11] | Now, Mrs Vole. This is very important. | 听着,沃尔太太。这很重要。 |
[35:15] | On the night of the murder your husband came home before 9.30. Correct? | 案发当晚,你丈夫是 在21:30之前回家的,对吗? |
[35:19] | Precisely. Isn’t that what he wants me to say? | 千真万确。他就 希望我这么说对吗? |
[35:22] | Isn’t it the truth? | 难道这不是真的? |
[35:24] | Of course. | 当然是真的。 |
[35:26] | But when I told the police, I do not think they believed me. | 不过当我告诉警察的时候, 我觉得他们并不相信我。 |
[35:29] | Maybe I didn’t say it well. Maybe because of my accent. | 也许我说得不够好。 也许是因为我的口音。 |
[35:33] | My dear Mrs Vole, in our courts | 亲爱的沃尔太太, 在英国的法庭上, |
[35:35] | we accept the evidence of witnesses who speak only Bulgarian | 即使是只会说保加利亚语的证人, 我们也会接受他的证词, |
[35:39] | and who must have an interpreter. | 会给他配一位翻译。 |
[35:41] | We accept the evidence of deaf-mutes who cannot speak at all, | 即使是不会说话的聋哑人, 我们也会接受他的证词, |
[35:45] | as long as they tell the truth. | 只要他说的是事实。 |
[35:47] | You’re aware that when you’re in the witness box you will be sworn | 你是否明白, 在证人席上你是要宣誓的, |
[35:51] | – and you will testify under oath? – Yes. | – 你的证词必须谨遵誓言? – 我明白。 |
[35:54] | Leonard came home at 9.26 precisely and did not go out again. | 伦纳德是在21:26回到家的, 后来就没有再出门。 |
[35:58] | The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Is that better? | 这是事实,完完全全的事实, 除了事实别无其它。这样是不是好一点? |
[36:05] | – Mrs Vole, do you love your husband? – Leonard thinks I do. | – 沃尔太太,你爱你的丈夫吗? – 伦纳德是这么认为的。 |
[36:10] | – Well, do you? – Am I already under oath? | – 嗯,事实上呢? – 我现在还得谨遵誓言吗? |
[36:14] | Whatever your gambit may be, do you know that, under British law, | 不管你葫芦里卖的是什么药, 你是不是都得搞清楚一点?根据英国的法律, |
[36:17] | you cannot be called to give testimony damaging to your husband? | 你不可以提供有损于 你丈夫的证词。 |
[36:21] | How very convenient. | 多么通情达理。 |
[36:24] | We are dealing with a capital crime. | 我们面临的是罪无可赦的指控。 |
[36:26] | The prosecution will try to hang your husband. | 控方会想尽办法 把你丈夫送上绞架。 |
[36:31] | He is not my husband. | 他不是我丈夫。 |
[36:40] | Leonard and I went through a form of marriage, | 伦纳德和我在汉堡 履行过结婚的手续, |
[36:43] | but I had a husband living somewhere in East Germany, in the Russian zone. | 但是我之前就有一个丈夫, 生活在东德的某个地方,苏联占领区。 |
[36:47] | – Did you tell Leonard? – I did not. It would have been stupid. | – 你告诉伦纳德了? – 没有。那也太蠢了。 |
[36:51] | He would not have married me and I’d have been left to starve in the rubble. | 告诉他他就不会娶我, 我就得留在那个地方挨饿。 |
[36:55] | But he did marry you and brought you safely here. | 但他娶了你,并且把 你安全地带到了这里。 |
[36:58] | Don’t you think you should be grateful? | 你不觉得你应该心怀感激吗? |
[37:00] | One can get very tired of gratitude. | 心怀感激也会令人厌倦。 |
[37:02] | Your husband loves you very much, does he not? | 你丈夫非常爱你,对吗? |
[37:05] | Leonard? He worships the ground I walk on. | 伦纳德? 我踏过的地板他都崇拜得不得了。 |
[37:09] | And you? | 那你呢? |
[37:11] | You want to know too much. | 你想知道的太多了。 |
[37:14] | Auf Wiedersehen, gentlemen. | 再会了,先生们。 |
[37:17] | Thank you for coming in, Mrs Vole. Your visit has been most reassuring. | 谢谢你来这一趟,沃尔太太。 你的拜访很令人安心。 |
[37:23] | Do not worry, Sir Wilfrid. I will give him an alibi and I shall be very convincing. | 别担心,威尔弗莱德爵士。我会给他 一个不在场证明,而且很有说服力。 |
[37:27] | There will be tears in my eyes when I say “Leonard came home at 9.26 precisely.” | 我会噙着热泪告诉他们: “伦纳德是在21:26回来的。” |
[37:33] | You’re a very remarkable woman, Mrs Vole. | 你是一个不同寻常的女人, 沃尔太太。 |
[37:38] | And you’re satisfied, I hope? | 我想你们满意了吧? |
[37:41] | – I’m damned if I’m satisfied! – Care for a whiff of those smelling salts? | – 我满意了才见鬼呢! – 要不要来点嗅盐? |
[37:47] | That woman’s up to something. But what? | 这女人在捣鬼。 可是,捣什么鬼呢? |
[37:50] | The prosecution will break her down in no time when she’s in the witness box. | 控方很快就能 把她驳得体无完肤。 |
[37:54] | This case is going to be rather like the charge of the Light Brigade | 这案子就像是英勇赴死的 英国骑兵旅一样悲壮, |
[37:58] | or one of those Japanese suicide pilots. Quite one-sided. | 或者是日本人的神风特攻队。 完全是一边倒。 |
[38:01] | With the odds all on the other side. | 机会全在对方那边。 |
[38:04] | I haven’t got much to go on, have I? | 我好像没多少 有利的因素,不是吗? |
[38:07] | The fact is, I’ve got nothing. | 事实上,我什么也没有。 |
[38:10] | Let me ask you something. | 我想问问你。 |
[38:13] | Do you believe Leonard Vole is innocent? | 你相信伦纳德·沃尔是无辜的吗? |
[38:19] | Do you? | 你相信吗? |
[38:23] | Do you? | 你相信吗? |
[38:25] | I’m not sure. | 我不确定。 |
[38:27] | Oh, I’m sorry, Wilfrid. Of course, I’ll do my best. | 哦,我很抱歉,威尔弗莱德爵士。 当然,我会尽我的全力。 |
[38:31] | It’s all right, Brogan-Moore. | 好吧,布洛根-摩尔。 |
[38:34] | I’ll take it from here. | 还是我来接手吧。 |
[38:38] | I have called Dr Harrison and given him a report on your shocking behaviour. | 我已经打电话给哈里森医生了, 把你骇人听闻的行为全都向他汇报了。我再也…… |
[38:43] | – Give me a match, Miss Plimsoll. – Sir Wilfrid! | – 给我一根火柴,普利姆索尔小姐。 – 威尔弗莱德爵士! |
[38:46] | Did you hear me? A match! | 你没听见吗?火柴! |
[39:20] | Mr Mayhew. Sir Wilfrid. I’m told you are going to represent me. I’m very grateful. | 梅休先生。威尔弗莱德爵士。 听说您本人将担任我的辩护人。太感谢了。 |
[39:27] | I struck a bargain with my doctors. They exile me to Bermuda as soon as we finish. | 我跟医生们订了个君子协定。 案子一结束他们就要把我流放到百慕大去。 |
[39:32] | – Thank you. – There’s hope that we’ll both survive. | – 谢谢您。 – 希望我们都能活着捱到案子结束。 |
[39:35] | – Get into these. We need a photograph. – Why? | – 穿上这个。我们要拍照。 – 为什么? |
[39:37] | This is what you were wearing that night. | 这是案发那天晚上你穿的衣服。 |
[39:39] | We’ll circulate a photo on the chance that someone saw you on your way home. | 我们会传阅这张照片,看看那天 你走回家的路上是不是有人看见你了。 |
[39:43] | Over here against the wall, please. | 请站好,靠着墙。 |
[39:48] | Hold it. One more in profile, please. | 别动。 请转过去,再来张侧面。 |
[39:51] | Do we really need this? My wife knows what time I came home that night. | 真的有必要这样吗? 我妻子知道那天晚上我是几时回家的。 |
[39:55] | A disinterested witness may be of more value. | 一个没有利害关系 的证人要有价值得多。 |
[39:58] | Yes, of course, Christine is an interested witness. | 是啊,当然, 克莉丝汀是个有利害关系的证人。 |
[40:01] | I’ll pick up the negatives later. Thank you. | 过会儿我就把 底片整理出来。谢谢。 |
[40:03] | I don’t understand it. Why hasn’t she come to see me? | 我真弄不懂, 她为什么还不来看我? |
[40:09] | Won’t they let her see me? I mean, it’s been two weeks now. | 他们不让她来吗? 这都两个星期了。 |
[40:12] | Mayhew, give me the reports. | 梅休,把材料给我。 |
[40:15] | Have you been talking to her? Is there something the matter? | 你们跟她谈过了吗? 是不是出了什么事? |
[40:18] | I want to read a portion of the evidence of Janet McKenzie, the housekeeper. | 我要读一读女管家 珍妮特·麦肯锡的几句证词。 |
[40:28] | “Mr Vole helped Mrs French with her business affairs, | “沃尔先生帮弗伦奇太太 打理一些生意上的事, |
[40:31] | particularly her income tax returns.” | “主要是所得税事宜。” |
[40:34] | Oh, yes, I did. Some of those forms are very complicated. | 哦,是啊,没错。 有一些表格非常难懂。 |
[40:37] | There’s also a hint you may have helped her draft her new will. | 她还暗示,是你 鼓动她修改了遗嘱。 |
[40:40] | Well, that’s not true! If Janet said that she’s lying. | 嗯,这不是真的! 如果珍妮特这么说,那就是说谎。 |
[40:43] | She was always against me, I don’t know why! | 她总是很反感我, 我也不知道为什么! |
[40:46] | It’s obvious. You threw an eggbeater into the wheels of her Victorian household. | 很显然。你用一个打蛋器 搅乱了她那维多利亚式的厨房。 |
[40:52] | Now, this cut in your wrist. You say you cut yourself with a knife? | 还有,你手腕上的这个伤口。 你说是被一把小刀割伤的? |
[40:56] | Well, that’s true, I did. I was cutting bread and the knife slipped. | 嗯,是啊,确实如此。 我切面包的时候,滑了一下。 |
[41:00] | But that was two days after. Christine was there. She’ll tell them in her evidence. | 不过那是案发后两天的事。克莉丝汀 都看见了,她可以作证。 |
[41:08] | Are you keeping something from me? Is she ill? Was she shocked? | 你们是不是有什么事瞒着我? 她病了吗?她是不是完全崩溃了? |
[41:12] | All things considered, she took it well. Though that may be only on the surface. | 总的来看,她平静地接受了现实。 尽管有可能只是表面上。 |
[41:16] | Wives are often profoundly disturbed at such a time. | 妻子们在这种 情况下往往都心烦意乱。 |
[41:20] | Yes, it must be hard. We’ve never been separated before. | 是啊,一定很艰难。 我们以前从来没分开过。 |
[41:23] | – Not since our first meeting. – How did you meet your wife, Mr Vole? | – 认识以后就没再分开过。 – 你是怎么认识你妻子的,沃尔先生? |
[41:28] | In Germany in 1945. | 那是1945年,在德国。 |
[41:31] | It’s rather funny. The very first time I saw her, the ceiling fell right in on me. | 挺有意思的。我初见她那天, 天花板就砸了我的脑袋。 |
[41:37] | I was stationed outside Hamburg, with an RAF maintenance unit. | 我当时在皇家空军的 后勤部门服役,驻扎在汉堡。 |
[41:41] | I’d just installed a shower in the officers’ billet, so they gave me a weekend pass. | 那天我刚给军官宿舍安装好一个淋浴头, 所以他们给了我一个周末假期。 (海报下方有表演者的 姓名:克莉丝汀·赫尔姆) |
[41:49] | Come on! | 来啊! |
[41:51] | D Join the party | # 参加聚会吧 |
[41:52] | d Have a hearty glass of rum | # 来杯朗姆酒吧 |
[41:55] | d Don’t ever think about tomorrow | # 别去想明天 |
[41:59] | d For tomorrow may never come | # 也许不会再有明天 |
[42:03] | d When I find me a happy place | # 等我找到一个快乐的地方 |
[42:07] | d That’s where I wanna stay | # 留在那里将是我的梦想 |
[42:10] | d Time is nothing as long as I’m living it up this way | # 快乐地过活,不用计较时间的短长 |
[42:17] | d I may never go home any more | # 我或许再也不用返回故乡 |
[42:22] | d Dim the lights and start locking the door | # 关上灯吧,锁上门吧 |
[42:26] | d Give your arms to me Give your charms to me | # 伸出你们的手臂,展现你们的魅力 |
[42:29] | d After all that’s what sailors are for | # 这不正是你们水手的心意 |
[42:33] | d I’ve got kisses and kisses galore | # 尽情、尽情地吻我 |
[42:38] | d That have never been tasted before | # 这样的滋味我从没尝过 |
[42:41] | d If you treat me right This could be the night | # 好好地待我,好日子也许就是今天晚上 |
[42:45] | d I may never go home | # 我或许再也不用 |
[42:46] | d I may never go home | # 我或许再也不用 |
[42:48] | d I may never go home | # 我或许再也不用 |
[42:50] | d I may never go home | # 我或许再也不用 |
[42:52] | d I may never go home any more | # 我或许再也不用返回故乡 |
[42:59] | d I may never go home any more | # 我或许再也不用返回故乡 |
[43:04] | Hey, Fräulein, show us some legs. | 嗨,小姐,露点儿腿让我们瞧瞧。 |
[43:07] | They rob you blind and then throw you a ruddy sailor! | 他们会不费吹灰之力地把你抢走, 再扔给你一个水手! |
[43:12] | – Come on, let’s see ’em. – We want legs! | – 来吧,让我们瞧瞧。 – 我们要看大腿! |
[43:16] | Come help the cabaret out of her trousers! | 快脱了长裤跳吧! |
[43:19] | All right, Fräulein, if you won’t show ’em, I will. | 好吧,小姐, 你不肯露,我自己动手啦。 |
[43:49] | All right, outside, everybody. Come on, let’s go. | 好了,快出去,所有人。 来啊,咱们走。 |
[44:07] | Come on. | 来啊。 |
[44:10] | Bring him round to the other truck. | 把他抬到另一辆车上去。 |
[44:17] | We’ll be back, baby! We’ll be back! | 我们会回来的, 宝贝儿!我们会回来的! (海报上新帖了封条:禁止入内) |
[44:58] | Gesundheit. | 干杯。 |
[45:07] | – What are you looking for? – My accordion. | – 你在找什么呢? – 我的手风琴。 |
[45:10] | Oh, let me help you. | 哦,我来帮你。 |
[45:15] | – I think I found it. – Step on it again, it’s still breathing. | – 我想我找到它了。 – 你再补一脚吧,它还没断气呢。 |
[45:21] | I’m terribly sorry. | 我真抱歉。 |
[45:23] | You better go. We’ve had trouble enough. | 你最好快走。 我们的麻烦已经够多了。 |
[45:26] | Well, it’s your own fault. That costume in the picture gave the boys ideas | 哦,是你自己的错。 海报上的服装吸引了小伙子们, |
[45:30] | – then those trousers let them down hard. – That costume went in the first raid. | – 结果你的长裤却让他们大失所望。 – 那是汉堡第一次空袭前的服装。 |
[45:34] | Then raid by raid, my other dresses, and now you’ve bombed my trousers. | 后来服装就一套套地在空袭中被毁, 现在你们把我这条长裤也毁了。 |
[45:38] | Cigarette? Gum? | 要烟还是口香糖? |
[45:49] | You’re burning my nose. | 你在烤我的鼻子。 |
[45:51] | – Oh, I’m sorry. – That’s all right. | – 哦,真抱歉。 – 没事。 |
[45:54] | How about a cup of coffee? I’ve got a tin of coffee. | 来杯咖啡怎么样? 我有一听咖啡。 |
[45:57] | How much? | 多少钱? |
[45:58] | I don’t know. What’s the rate of exchange? | 我不知道。 汇率是多少? |
[46:01] | – Depends whether it’s fresh or powdered. – It’s instant coffee. | – 这取决于是新鲜咖啡,还是磨制的咖啡…… – 是速溶咖啡。 |
[46:05] | Got any hot water at your place? | 你这儿有热水吗? |
[46:07] | – Sometimes. – Let’s take a chance. Where do you live? | – 不一定。 – 我们碰碰运气吧。你住哪儿? |
[46:10] | Nearby. | 很近。 |
[46:13] | Come. | 来吧。 |
[46:21] | Sorry, it’s the maid’s night off. | 对不起,女仆放大假。 |
[46:23] | This is pretty horrible. In a gemütlich sort of way. | 真是可怕, 不过看着挺亲切的。 |
[46:27] | Oh, it’s fine now. I used to have a roommate. A dancer. | 哦,现在算不错了。 我以前有过一个室友,是跳舞的。 |
[46:31] | She had luck, she married a Canadian. She now lives in Toronto. | 她走运了,嫁给一个加拿大人, 现在生活在多伦多。 |
[46:34] | She has a Ford automobile. | 她还有一辆福特汽车。 |
[46:37] | Make yourself comfortable, the stove is slow these days. | 你自己随意, 这年月炉子都热得慢。 |
[46:41] | That’s all right, I’ve got a weekend pass. | 没事,我有整个周末的假期。 |
[46:44] | No, not that chair. It holds up the beam and that holds up the ceiling. | 不不不,那把椅子不能坐。 它撑住了横梁,所以天花板才不会掉下来。 |
[46:48] | You’d better sit down on the cot. | 你最好坐在帆布小床上。 |
[46:50] | The cot? | 帆布小床? |
[46:52] | Getting more gemütlich all the time. Are you married? | 真是让人倍感亲切。 你结婚了? |
[46:56] | – Why? – Well, the, um… | – 怎么了? – 嗯,你手上的…… |
[46:58] | Oh, that. No, no, I’m not married. | 哦,这个。 不,不,我没结婚。 |
[47:00] | I just wear it when I’m working. Gives a little protection with all the men. | 我只是在工作的时候戴着它。 算是与男人们为伴的一点点自我保护吧。 |
[47:04] | – Didn’t work too well tonight, did it? – No, tonight was bad. | – 今晚的工作不太顺利,是不是? – 是啊,今晚糟透了。 |
[47:09] | But it’s getting better. | 不过正有改善的趋势。 |
[47:15] | – Where’s the coffee? – Ah, coffee, ja voll. | – 咖啡呢? – 啊,咖啡,哟嚯。 |
[47:19] | Finest Brazilian blend. The same brand that Field Marshal Montgomery drinks. | 很不错的巴西配方。 蒙哥马利元帅喝的也是这牌子。 |
[47:42] | Is that a fair rate of exchange? | 这个汇率公道吗? |
[47:44] | Very fair. | 非常公道。 |
[47:47] | Would you be interested in having the whole tin? | 这听全给你要不要? |
[47:52] | I would. | 我要。 |
[48:03] | – How are you fixed for sugar? – I could use some. | – 你打算要糖吗? – 要一点吧。 |
[48:07] | Milk? | 牛奶呢? |
[48:09] | Sure. | 当然要。 |
[48:12] | Milk. Sugar. | 牛奶。糖。 |
[48:16] | It’s a pleasure to do business with you. | 很高兴能跟你做生意。 |
[48:18] | Yeah. | 是啊。 |
[48:25] | I also carry biscuits, powdered eggs, | 我还有饼干、鸡蛋粉, |
[48:29] | – bacon, marmalade. – I don’t know if I can afford it. | – 培根,果酱。 – 我不知道我是不是买得起。 |
[48:34] | Don’t worry, we’ll work out something, like an instalment plan. | 别担心,我们可以想办法, 比方分期付款。 |
[48:38] | D I may never go home any more | # 我或许再也不用返回故乡 哦,真是太抱歉了。 现在你没有天花板了。 |
[48:48] | I’m terribly sorry. Now you have no ceiling. | |
[48:51] | – Maybe I can fix it, I’m good at it. – Why fix it? It’s not raining. | – 也许我可以弄好它。这我拿手。 – 修它干什么?又没下雨。 |
[48:55] | Ooh. | 哦。 |
[48:56] | – Are you all right? – I think so. My head aches a little. | – 你没事吧? – 应该没事。有一点头疼。 |
[49:00] | Maybe I can fix it. | 也许我可以弄好它。 |
[49:02] | I’m good at it. | 这我拿手。 |
[49:10] | I had a weekend pass, a month’s pay in my pocket. | 当时我有一个周末假期, 口袋里有一个月的津贴。 |
[49:13] | – And she already had a wedding ring. – Yes, that’s right. | – 而她手上有一枚结婚戒指。 – 是啊,没错。 |
[49:17] | We got married. When I got out of the service I brought her here. | 我们结了婚。等我服役 期满,就把她带回了英国。 |
[49:21] | It was wonderful. I rented a little flat, Edgware Road. | 那时真是棒极了。 我租了一套小公寓,在爱德华尔路。 |
[49:25] | First time she saw it, she was so happy she broke down and cried. | 她第一次去的时候, 高兴得情不自禁地大哭起来。 |
[49:28] | Naturally. She had a solid roof over her head and a British passport. | 很正常。她头上终于有了一个 坚固的天花板,她还有了张英国护照。 |
[49:33] | You don’t know her, how she feels about me. You will when she gives evidence. | 您不了解她,不知道她对我的感情有多深。 她出庭作证的时候,你们会了解她的。 |
[49:39] | Mr Vole, I must tell you I am not putting her in the witness box. | 沃尔先生,我必须告诉你, 我不打算让她出庭作证。 |
[49:45] | You’re not? Why not? | 不打算?为什么? |
[49:47] | She’s a foreigner, unfamiliar with the subtleties of our language. | 她是个外国人,对于英语 的微妙之处,她还不够熟悉。 |
[49:51] | The prosecution could easily trip her up. | 控方会轻易地找出她的纰漏。 |
[49:53] | I hear it may be Mr Myers for the crown. We can’t take chances. | 我听说控方可能是梅耶斯先生。 我们不能冒险。 |
[49:56] | Quite. We’d better be going. Miss Plimsoll is waiting in the car with her pills | 好了。我们最好走了。普利姆索尔小姐 正在车里等着呢, |
[50:01] | – and a Thermos of lukewarm cocoa. – Officer. | – 她拿着我的药片和一瓶保温的可可。 – 长官。 |
[50:04] | – But Christine must give evidence. – Mr Vole, you must learn to trust me. | – 可是克莉丝汀必须出庭作证。 – 沃尔先生,你必须学会信任我。 |
[50:09] | For no other reason than I’m a mean, ill-tempered old man who hates to lose. | 没有别的理由,只是我 这个坏脾气的老家伙不想输。 |
[50:14] | Let us wish each other luck. | 让我们祝彼此好运吧。 |
[50:22] | Look, I can’t face this without Christine. I tell you, I need her. Without her I’m sunk. | 听着,没有克莉丝汀我会无法面对。 告诉你,我需要她。没有她我就完了。 |
[50:29] | Touching, isn’t it? The way he counts on his wife. | 很感人,是不是? 如此仰仗他的妻子。 |
[50:33] | Yes. Like a drowning man clutching at a razor blade. | 是啊。就像一个溺水的人, 抓住一把刮胡子刀片。 (伦敦中央刑事法院,俗称“老贝里”) |
[50:53] | Leonard Stephen Vole, you are charged on indictment for that you, | 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔,你被控于 10月14日在伦敦杀害了埃米莉·简·弗伦奇。 |
[50:59] | on the 14th day of October, in the county of London, | |
[51:03] | murdered Emily Jane French. | |
[51:06] | How say you, Leonard Stephen Vole? | 你有何话说, 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔? |
[51:09] | Are you guilty or not guilty? | 你是有罪还是无罪? |
[51:14] | Not guilty. | 我无罪。 |
[51:18] | Members of the jury, | 各位陪审员, |
[51:20] | the prisoner stands indicted for that he, on the 14th day of October, | 犯人被控于10月14日 谋杀了埃米莉·简·弗伦奇。 |
[51:25] | murdered Emily Jane French. | |
[51:28] | To this indictment he has pleaded not guilty. | 对此控诉, 他声称自己无罪。 |
[51:32] | And it is your charge to say, having heard the evidence, | 现在要请你们 在听取证词后作出判断, |
[51:36] | whether he be guilty or not. | 裁决他有罪或是无罪。 |
[51:43] | Members of the jury, by the oath which you have just taken, | 各位陪审员, 按照你们适才的宣誓, |
[51:46] | you have sworn to try this case on the evidence. | 你们将严格依据本庭上 的证词和证据进行审判。 |
[51:50] | You must shut out from your minds everything | 必须摒弃对此案的 任何成见,排除一切杂念, |
[51:53] | except what will take place in this court. | 只有本庭上所发生的一切除外。 |
[51:56] | You may proceed for the prosecution, Mr Myers. | 你可以开始控方 陈述了,梅耶斯先生。 |
[52:00] | May it please you, my lord. Members of the jury, | 谢谢您,法官大人。 各位陪审员, |
[52:04] | I appear in this case with my learned friend, Mr Barton, for the prosecution. | 在本案中,我和我博学的朋友 巴顿先生将担任控方律师。 |
[52:09] | And my learned friends Sir Wilfrid Robarts and Mr Brogan-Moore | 我博学的朋友威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨爵士 和布洛根-摩尔先生将担任辩方律师。 |
[52:13] | appear for the defence. | |
[52:19] | I trust we are not to be deprived | 我想我们该不会无缘目睹博学的 威尔弗莱德爵士激动人心的出场吧? |
[52:21] | of the learned and stimulating presence of Sir Wilfrid? | |
[52:24] | My lord, may I assure my learned friend that Sir Wilfrid is in the Old Bailey. | 法官大人,请允许我向各位保证, 威尔弗莱德爵士现在已经到了老贝里法院。 |
[52:29] | He’s slightly incapacitated, but will be in his seat presently. | 他身体略感不适, 但是他很快就会出庭。 |
[52:32] | My lord, may I express my regret that Sir Wilfrid is even slightly incapacitated. | 法官大人,请允许我就 威尔弗莱德爵士的略感不适表示遗憾。 |
[52:37] | You may, Mr Myers. You may also proceed with the case for the prosecution. | 我允许,梅耶斯先生。 我也允许你继续控方陈述。 |
[52:43] | Thank you, my lord. | 谢谢您,法官大人。 |
[52:45] | The facts in this case are simple and, to a point, not in dispute. | 此案的案情非常简单, 而且每一点都无可辩驳。 |
[52:49] | You will hear how the prisoner made the acquaintance of Mrs Emily French, | 各位将了解到犯人是如何结识了 埃米莉·弗伦奇太太,一位56岁的妇女。 |
[52:54] | a woman of 56. | |
[52:55] | How he was treated by her with kindness and even affection. | 这位妇女是如何充满善意、 甚至满怀深情地对待他。 |
[53:00] | On the night of October 14 last, | 在10月14日那天晚上21:30至22:00间, 弗伦奇太太被谋杀了。 |
[53:03] | between 9.30 and 10, Mrs French was murdered. | |
[53:08] | Medical testimony will be introduced to prove | 我们会请医学专家告知各位, |
[53:10] | that death was caused by a blow from a blunt and heavy instrument, | 其死因被证实是头部被钝器重击, |
[53:14] | and it is the case for the prosecution | 我们控方的指控就是,此重击 是由犯人伦纳德·沃尔所造成的。 |
[53:17] | that the blow was dealt by the prisoner, Leonard Vole. | |
[53:20] | That’s not true! I didn’t do it! | 这不是真的! 不是我干的! |
[53:25] | Among the witnesses, you will hear police evidence, | 我们要传唤作证的, 包括警方证人、 |
[53:28] | also the evidence of Mrs French’s housekeeper, Janet McKenzie, | 弗伦奇太太的 管家珍妮特·麦肯锡、 |
[53:32] | and from the medical and laboratory experts, | 医学专家及实验室专家, |
[53:34] | and the evidence of the murdered woman’s solicitor, who drew her final will. | 还有死者的法律顾问, 即最后一份遗嘱的起草人。 |
[53:40] | I now call Chief Inspector Hearne, Criminal Investigation Department, | 现在,我要有请新苏格兰场 刑事调查部的赫恩总警巡。 赫恩总警巡。 |
[53:44] | – New Scotland Yard. – Chief Inspector Hearne. | |
[53:47] | – Chief Inspector Hearne. | – Chief Inspector Hearne. – 赫恩总警巡。 – 赫恩总警巡。 |
[54:08] | This is ridiculous. Just nervous heartburn. I always get it the first day of a trial. | 真是荒谬。这只是神经性的胃灼热 而已。每逢审判的第一天我都这样。 |
[54:13] | 240 above 130. You shouldn’t be here at all. | 血压130/240。 你根本就不该待在这儿。 |
[54:16] | – I should be in court, the trial’s begun. – Syringe, please. | – 我应该待在法庭上,庭审已经开始了。 – 注射器,谢谢。 |
[54:19] | Be a good, brave boy, Sir Wilfrid. | 做个又乖又勇敢的好孩子, 威尔弗莱德爵士。 |
[54:22] | It may interest you to know that I am descended from a warrior family | 普利姆索尔小姐,你可能有兴趣知道, 我来自于一个骁勇善战的家族, |
[54:25] | which traces its brave past back to Richard the Lion-Hearted. | 血统可以追溯到 勇敢的狮心王理查德。嚯! |
[54:33] | You’re to have a calcium injection daily, | 每天都要注射钙剂, |
[54:36] | – tranquillising pill every hour. – I’ll set my wristwatch alarm. | – 每小时服用一次镇静剂药片。 – 我会设定好闹表。 |
[54:40] | Any pain or shortness of breath, pop one of these nitroglycerin tablets | 但凡感到疼痛或者气短, 要取一片硝酸甘油含在舌下。 |
[54:44] | under your tongue. Oh, and I’ll leave you some… | 哦,我要给你留一些。 |
[54:47] | That’s enough, Doctor. The judge will be asking for a saliva test. | 这就够了,医生。 法官可能会要求我做唾液测试。 |
[54:51] | Carter, I’d better take that Thermos of cocoa with me. | 卡特,我最好 随身带上一瓶可可, |
[54:56] | – Helps me wash down the pills. – Let me see it, please. | – 用来吞服药片。 – 请让我瞧瞧。 |
[54:59] | My learned patient is not above substituting brandy for cocoa. | 看我那博学的病人 是不是用白兰地冒充可可。 |
[55:04] | It is cocoa. So sorry. | 这是可可。真抱歉。 |
[55:07] | If you were a woman, Miss Plimsoll, I would strike you. | 如果你不是女人的话, 普利姆索尔小姐,我会打你的。 |
[55:10] | Take care of this, Carter. | 帮我拿好,卡特。 |
[55:14] | Now, Sir Wilfrid, in the courtroom, you must avoid overexcitement. | 嗯,威尔弗莱德爵士, 在法庭上你不可以过于激动。 |
[55:18] | Yes, Doctor, yes, yes. | 好的,医生, 好的,好的。 |
[55:20] | Watch your temper. Keep your blood pressure down. | 留神你的脾气。 别让你的血压上升。 |
[55:22] | Thank you, Doctor, I shall be quite safe, what with the pills and the cocoa. | 谢谢你,医生。有这些 药片和可可,我会很安全的。 |
[55:27] | Come along, Carter. | 走吧,卡特。 |
[55:30] | From the body temperature and other factors, | 根据体温和其他因素, 我们推定死亡时间为21:30至22:00, |
[55:34] | we placed the time of death at between 9.30 and 10pm, | |
[55:37] | approximately 30 minutes before Janet McKenzie returned home and called us. | 就是在珍妮特·麦肯锡回到家 并打电话给我们之前的30分钟左右。 |
[55:44] | Death was instantaneous, caused by one blow from a heavy and blunt instrument. | 死亡发生在一瞬间, 死因是头部遭到钝器重击。 |
[55:49] | Were there any signs of a struggle? | 有没有挣扎的迹象? |
[55:52] | None. Just the one blow. | 没有。一击致命。 |
[55:54] | Would that indicate that the murderer had taken Mrs French by surprise? | 有没有迹象表明弗伦奇太太 是被凶手突然袭击的? |
[55:58] | My lord, I must object. | 法官大人,我必须提出反对。 |
[56:02] | My learned friend refers to the assailant as “the murderer”. | 我博学的朋友 把攻击者称为“凶手”。 |
[56:06] | We have not yet determined whether the assailant was a man or a woman. | 可我们还不能确定 攻击者是男人还是女人。 |
[56:10] | It could quite conceivably have been “the murderess”. | 如果说是“女凶手”, 那也同样是令人信服的。 |
[56:13] | Mr Myers, Sir Wilfrid has joined us just in time to catch you on a point of grammar. | 梅耶斯先生,威尔弗莱德爵士 及时赶到,抓住了你的语法错误。 |
[56:19] | Please rephrase your question. | 请重新组织你的问题。 |
[56:21] | Yes, my lord. Inspector, is it your opinion that the assailant, | 好的,法官大人。警巡, 根据你的看法,这个攻击者, |
[56:27] | whether he, she or it, had taken Mrs French by surprise? | 不管是“他”、“她”还是“它”, 是否突然袭击了弗伦奇太太? |
[56:32] | My lord, I am taken by surprise | 法官大人,我非常惊讶,我博学的朋友 竟然恳求证人说“看法”,而不是说事实。 |
[56:34] | that my learned friend should try to solicit from the witness an opinion, not a fact. | |
[56:39] | Quite so. You’ll have to do better than that, Mr Myers. | 确实如此。你必须改改,梅耶斯先生。 |
[56:42] | My lord, I withdraw the question entirely. | 法官大人,我干脆收回这个问题。 |
[56:45] | – Is that better? – That’s much better. | – 这样是不是好些? – 这样好多了。 |
[56:53] | Silence! Silence! | 肃静!肃静! |
[56:58] | Very well, Inspector, let us proceed with the facts. | 好吧,警巡, 我们继续来说事实。 |
[57:01] | After establishing the cause and the time of death, what did you then do? | 确定死因和死亡时间以后, 你们接下来做了什么? |
[57:06] | A search was made, photographs were taken and the premises fingerprinted. | 我们搜查了现场, 拍摄了照片,采集了指纹。 |
[57:10] | – What fingerprints did you discover? – I found the fingerprints of Mrs French, | – 你们发现了谁的指纹? – 我们发现了弗伦奇太太的指纹, |
[57:14] | those of Janet McKenzie, and some which later proved to be those of Leonard Vole. | 珍妮特·麦肯锡的指纹,以及后来 被证实是伦纳德·沃尔所留下的指纹。 |
[57:19] | – No others? – No others. | – 没有别人的? – 没有。 |
[57:21] | Did you say the room had the appearance that a robbery had been committed? | 你是否说过,那间屋子 看起来像是遭受过入室抢劫? |
[57:26] | Yes. Things were strewn about and the window had been broken near the catch. | 是的。东西散落了一地, 窗户靠近窗钩的位置也被打破了。 |
[57:31] | There was glass on the floor, and fragments were found outside. | 地板上有玻璃, 室外有玻璃碎片。 |
[57:36] | The glass outside was not consistent with the window being forced from the outside. | 如果是从室外击碎玻璃, 那么落在室外的玻璃就无法解释。 |
[57:41] | You’re saying that someone made it look as if it had been forced from the outside? | 你的意思是,有人故意制造 窗户是从室外被击碎的假象,对吗? |
[57:48] | My lord, I must object. My learned friend is putting words in the witness’ mouth. | 法官大人,我必须提出反对。我博学的朋友 正试图把自己的意见强加给证人。 |
[57:52] | After all, if he insists on answering his own questions, | 说到底,如果他坚持 要自问自答的话, |
[57:56] | the presence of the witness would seem superfluous. | 证人的出席 似乎就是多余的。 |
[57:59] | Quite. Don’t you think so, Mr Myers? | 确实。你觉得呢,梅耶斯先生? |
[58:02] | Yes, my lord. | 好吧,法官大人。 |
[58:05] | Inspector, | 警巡,据你所知, 死者的财物有没有丢失? |
[58:06] | did you ascertain if any of the murdered woman’s property was missing? | |
[58:10] | According to the housekeeper, nothing was missing. | 据女管家说, 什么也没丢。 |
[58:13] | In your experience, Inspector, when burglars or burglaresses | 根据你的经验,警巡,有没有入室抢劫犯, 或者女犯,闯入屋子后会什么都不拿就离开? |
[58:19] | break into a house, do they leave without taking anything? | |
[58:23] | No, sir. | 没有,先生。 |
[58:24] | – Do you produce a jacket, Inspector? – Yes, sir. | – 你是不是提供了一件外衣,警巡? – 是的,先生。 |
[58:27] | Is that the jacket? | 是这件外衣吗? |
[58:33] | – Yes, sir. – That is exhibit P1, my lord. | – 是的,先生。 – 这是控方一号证物,法官大人。 |
[58:37] | Where did you find this, Inspector? | 你从哪里发现这件外衣的,警巡? |
[58:39] | That is the jacket found in the prisoner’s flat, | 是在犯人的公寓发现的, |
[58:42] | which I handed to our lab to test for bloodstains. | 然后我们把衣服 送去实验室作血迹鉴定。 |
[58:44] | – And did you find any bloodstains? – Yes. | – 是否发现了血迹? – 是的。 |
[58:47] | Though an attempt had been made to wash them out. | 尽管犯人曾经 试图洗掉血迹。 |
[58:50] | What tests were made? | 进行了哪些测试? |
[58:52] | First to determine if the stains were human blood, | 首先确定这些污迹是不是人血, |
[58:56] | then to classify it by group or type. | 然后化验血型。 |
[58:59] | And was the blood of a particular group or type? | 是某种特定的血型吗? |
[59:01] | Yes, sir. It is type O. | 是的,先生。是O型。 |
[59:04] | And did you subsequently test the blood of the dead woman? | 随后您是否化验了死者的血样? |
[59:08] | – Yes, sir. – What type was that? | – 是的,先生。 – 是什么血型? |
[59:12] | The same. Type O. | – 是一样的,O型。 |
[59:14] | Thank you, Inspector. No further questions. | 谢谢你,警巡。 没有别的问题了。 |
[59:18] | Inspector, you say the only fingerprints you found were those of Mrs French, | 警巡,你说采到的指纹只有弗伦奇太太、 珍妮特·麦肯锡和伦纳德·沃尔这三个人的。 |
[59:23] | Janet McKenzie and Leonard Vole. | |
[59:26] | In your experience, when a burglar breaks in, does he usually leave fingerprints | 根据你的经验,入室 抢劫犯一般会留下指纹、 |
[59:31] | – or does he wear gloves? – He wears gloves. | – 还是会戴手套? – 会戴手套。 |
[59:33] | So the absence of fingerprints in a robbery | 所以在现场找不到劫犯的指纹 |
[59:36] | – would hardly surprise you? – No, sir. | – 并没有出乎你的意料? – 是的,先生。 |
[59:38] | Can’t we surmise the burglar might have entered a presumably empty house, | 我们能否这样推测,入室抢劫犯 有可能认为屋里没人,所以破窗而入, |
[59:42] | suddenly encountered Mrs French and struck her, | 却突然发现了弗伦奇太太, 所以对她发动袭击, |
[59:45] | then, realising she was dead, fled without taking anything? | 结果意识到她已经被打死, 于是什么也没拿就逃走了? |
[59:49] | I submit, my lord, that it is entirely impossible | 我反对,法官大人, 我们完全不可能去猜测 |
[59:51] | to guess what went on in the mind of some entirely imaginary burglar. | 一个完全是臆想出来的 入室抢劫犯究竟做过些什么, |
[59:56] | With or without gloves. | 不管是戴手套的, 还是没戴手套的。 |
[59:58] | Let us not surmise, Sir Wilfrid, but confine ourselves to facts. | 我们不能讲“猜测”,威尔弗莱德爵士, 应该严格地讲事实。 |
[1:00:05] | Inspector, when you questioned the prisoner as to the stains on his jacket, | 警巡,当你向犯人 问起外衣上的血迹时, |
[1:00:09] | did he not show you a recently-healed scar on his wrist, | 他有没有给你看 他手腕上刚愈合的伤疤, |
[1:00:13] | – saying he had cut himself slicing bread? – Yes, sir, that is what he said. | – 并且告诉你这是在切面包时留下的伤口? – 是的,先生,他是这么说的。 |
[1:00:18] | And were you not told the same thing by his wife? | 那他的妻子是不是 也告诉你同样的说法? |
[1:00:21] | – Yes, sir. But afterwards… – Just a simple yes or no, please. | – 是的,先生。但是后来…… – 只需要说是或不是,谢谢。 |
[1:00:25] | Did the prisoner’s wife show you a knife | 犯人的妻子是不是拿了一把刀给你看,并且 告诉你,她丈夫就是用这把刀切面包时割伤了手腕? |
[1:00:27] | and tell you that her husband had cut his wrist while slicing bread? | |
[1:00:32] | – Yes, sir. – I will ask you to examine this knife. | – 是的,先生。 – 我想请你检查一下这把刀,警巡。 |
[1:00:40] | Just test the edge of it with your finger. Carefully! | 请用手指试试看刀刃。 小心点! |
[1:00:44] | You agree that the point and the cutting edge are razor-sharp? | 刀刃很锋利, 你同意吗? |
[1:00:48] | – Yes, sir. – Now, if such a knife were to slip, | – 是的,先生。 – 那么,如果这把刀滑脱了, |
[1:00:51] | might it not inflict a cut that would bleed profusely? | 是否有可能 造成割伤及大量流血? |
[1:00:54] | Yes, sir, it might. | 是的,先生,有可能。 |
[1:00:55] | Inspector, you stated that the bloodstains on the prisoner’s jacket were analysed, | 警巡,你说犯人 外衣上的血迹, |
[1:01:01] | as was the blood of Mrs French, and they were both found to be of group O. | 以及弗伦奇太太的血样 都已经被化验过,都是O型。 |
[1:01:06] | – That is correct. – However, | – 确实如此。 – 那么, |
[1:01:08] | if the prisoner’s blood were also of this same group, | 如果犯人的血型也是O型, |
[1:01:12] | then the stains on his jacket may well have resulted | 那么外衣上的血迹就有可能 像他说的那样,是在家里沾上的。 |
[1:01:15] | from the household accident he described to you. | |
[1:01:18] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生。 |
[1:01:20] | Did you examine the prisoner’s blood, Inspector? | 那么你有没有 检测过犯人的血型,警巡? |
[1:01:24] | No, sir. | 没有,先生。 |
[1:01:27] | I have here a certificate | 我这里有一张证书, |
[1:01:30] | stating that Leonard Stephen Vole is a blood donor | 记录了伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 曾经在北伦敦医院献血, |
[1:01:35] | at the North London Hospital. | |
[1:01:37] | And that his blood is group O. | 他的血型是O型。 |
[1:01:45] | Thank you, Inspector. | 谢谢你,警巡。 |
[1:01:51] | Inspector, granted that the cut on the wrist was caused by that knife, | 警巡,既然手腕上的伤口 被认定是由这把小刀造成的, |
[1:01:56] | is there anything to show whether it was an accident | 有没有任何迹象表明, 这究竟是一场事故, |
[1:01:59] | or done deliberately after the murder to account for the bloodstains? | 还是在谋杀案发生后故意为之, 以掩盖这些血迹的来历? |
[1:02:03] | – Oh, really, my lord! – I withdraw the question. | – 哦,真是的,法官大人! – 我收回这个问题。 |
[1:02:06] | You may stand down. | 你可以离开证人席了,警巡。 |
[1:02:10] | – Call Janet McKenzie. – Janet McKenzie. | – 传珍妮特·麦肯锡。 – 珍妮特·麦肯锡。 |
[1:02:13] | – Janet McKenzie. | – Janet McKenzie. – 珍妮特·麦肯锡。 – 珍妮特·麦肯锡。 |
[1:02:40] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence… | 我向万能的上帝起誓, 我提供的证词将是事实, |
[1:02:45] | …the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. | 完完全全的事实, 除了事实别无其它。 |
[1:02:48] | Carter. Carter. Pill. Pill. | 卡特,卡特。 药片,药片。 |
[1:02:52] | – Your name is Janet McKenzie? – Aye, that’s my name. | – 你是珍妮特·麦肯锡? – 对,就是我。 |
[1:02:55] | – When did you first come to London? – That was many years ago. 28 years ago. | – 你是什么时候来伦敦的? – 有年头了。28年前。 |
[1:03:00] | – Where do you live? – Now that Mrs French, poor soul, is dead, | – 你住在哪里? – 现在可怜的弗伦奇太太死了, |
[1:03:05] | I’ve moved in with my niece at 19 Glenister Road. | 我搬到我侄女家住, 格伦尼斯特街19号。 |
[1:03:09] | You were companion-housekeeper to the late Mrs Emily French? | 你是已故的埃米莉·弗伦奇 太太的陪伴兼女管家? |
[1:03:12] | I was her housekeeper! I’ve no opinion of companions, | 我是她的管家没错, 但绝对不是什么陪伴! |
[1:03:16] | poor feckless bodies, afraid of a bit of honest domestic work. | 陪伴都是些没用的懒骨头, 一点正经家务都不肯干。 |
[1:03:19] | I meant you were on friendly terms, not altogether those of mistress and servant. | 是啊。我的意思是,你们已经具有一种 朋友关系,而不仅仅是女主人和女仆的关系。 |
[1:03:24] | Aye. Ten years I was with her and looked after her. | 对。十年前我就 开始为她做事,照顾她。 |
[1:03:28] | She knew me and she trusted me. | 她了解我,也信任我。 |
[1:03:30] | Many’s the time I prevented her doing a foolish thing. | 有很多次,我都 避免了她做出蠢事。 |
[1:03:33] | Please tell us, in your own words, about the events of the evening of October 14. | 请你用自己的话为我们 描述一下10月14日晚上发生的事。 |
[1:03:39] | It was a Friday and my night out. I was going to see my niece at Glenister Road, | 那天是星期五,是我外出的日子。 我要去我侄女家,在格伦尼斯特街, |
[1:03:43] | which is about five minutes’ walk. I left the house at half past seven. | 走过去大概五分钟。 我是七点半离开家的。 |
[1:03:48] | I promised to take her a dress pattern that she admired. | 我答应过把她喜欢 一款衣服的图样带给她。 |
[1:03:52] | – Och, is this thing necessary? – An excellent question. | – 啊哦,这个有必要说吗? – 问得好。 |
[1:03:56] | However, it has been installed at considerable expense to the taxpayers, | 不过,既然我们已经动用了 纳税人提供的可观费用, |
[1:04:00] | so let us take advantage of it. Please continue. | 我们还是物尽其用吧。 请说下去。 |
[1:04:04] | Well, when I got to my niece’s, I found I’d left the pattern behind. | 嗯。我走到我侄女家的时候, 我发现我忘了拿图样。 |
[1:04:08] | So after supper I slipped back to get it as it was no distance. | 所以晚饭后我又 跑回去拿,反正路不远。 |
[1:04:12] | I got back to the house at 25 past 9. | 我回到家的时候是21:25。 |
[1:04:15] | I let myself in and went upstairs to my room. | 我自己开门,准备 上楼去我自己的房间。 |
[1:04:18] | As I passed the sitting room, I heard the prisoner in there, talking to Mrs French. | 当我经过客厅门口时, 我听到犯人在里面同弗伦奇太太说话。 |
[1:04:23] | No, it wasn’t me! It wasn’t my voice! | 不,那不是我! 那不是我在说话! |
[1:04:27] | Talking and laughing they were. | 他们有说有笑的。 |
[1:04:29] | But it was no business of mine, so I went upstairs to fetch my pattern. | 不过那不关我的事, 所以我就跑上楼去拿我的图样。 |
[1:04:33] | Now, let us be very exact as to the time. | 嗯,让我们把时间 再界定得准确一些。 |
[1:04:37] | You say that you re-entered the house at 25 past 9? | 你说你回到家 的时候是21:25? |
[1:04:41] | Aye. The pattern was on a shelf in my room next to my clock so I saw the time. | 对。图样是放在我房间里的一个架子上的, 旁边就是我的钟,所以我看到了时间。 |
[1:04:45] | – And it was 25 past 9. – Go on, please. | – 那时就是21:25。 – 请说下去吧。 |
[1:04:50] | I went back to my niece. Och, she was delighted with the pattern. Si… | 然后我回去找我侄女。啊哦, 她看到图样高兴极了,真…… |
[1:04:58] | Simply delighted. I stayed until 20 to 11, then I said good night and I come home. | 真是高兴极了。我一直 待到22:40,然后道晚安、回家。 |
[1:05:04] | I went into the sitting room to see if the mistress wanted anything | 我走进客厅,想看看女主人 在上床前还有没有什么吩咐。 |
[1:05:08] | before she went to bed. | |
[1:05:10] | And there she was, dead. And everything tossed hither and thither. | 结果,我看到她已经死了。 东西都七零八落地散在地上。 |
[1:05:15] | Did you really think that a burglary had been committed? | 当时你是否真的觉得 那是入室抢劫犯干的? |
[1:05:18] | My lord, I must protest! | 法官大人, 我必须提出反对! |
[1:05:20] | I will not allow that question to be answered, Mr Myers. | 我不允许证人回答 这个问题,梅耶斯先生。 |
[1:05:24] | Miss McKenzie, were you aware that Leonard Vole was a married man? | 麦肯锡小姐,你是否知道 伦纳德·沃尔是个有妇之夫? |
[1:05:28] | No, indeed. And neither was the mistress. | 完全不知道。 女主人也不知道。 |
[1:05:31] | – Janet! – My lord, I must object. | – 珍妮特! – 法官大人,我必须反对。 |
[1:05:34] | What Mrs French knew or did not know is pure conjecture on Janet McKenzie’s part. | 弗伦奇太太知道还是不知道, 这完全是珍妮特·麦肯锡的想象。 |
[1:05:40] | Let me put it this way. You formed the opinion | 我换个说法吧。 在你看来, |
[1:05:43] | that Mrs French thought Leonard Vole was a single man? | 弗伦奇太太认为 伦纳德·沃尔是个单身汉? |
[1:05:46] | – Have you any facts to support this? – The books that she ordered. | – 你有没有什么佐证来支持你的观点? – 她借来的书, |
[1:05:50] | A life of the Baroness Burdett-Coutts, and the one about Disraeli and his wife. | 有伯德特-库茨女男爵的传记, 还有一本是关于迪斯雷利和他的妻子。 |
[1:05:55] | Both of them about women that married men years younger than themselves. Oh! | 两本书说的都是女人 嫁给了比自己小很多的男人。哦! |
[1:05:59] | – I knew what she was thinking. – I’m afraid we cannot admit that. | – 我知道她在想什么。 – 恐怕我不敢苟同。 |
[1:06:03] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:06:06] | Members of the jury, it is possible for a woman to read The Life of Disraeli | 各位陪审员,一个读 迪斯雷利传记的女人, |
[1:06:11] | without contemplating marriage with a man younger than herself. | 未必就是在盘算着 嫁给比自己小的男人。 |
[1:06:17] | Were you aware of the arrangements Mrs French made to dispose of her money? | 麦肯锡小姐,你是否知道 弗伦奇太太对自己的财产作了安排? |
[1:06:23] | She had her old will revoked and a new one drawn up. | 她废除了她的老遗嘱, 重新立了一份新的。 |
[1:06:26] | I heard her calling Mr Stokes, her solicitor. | 我听到她给她的法律顾问 斯多克斯先生打电话了。 |
[1:06:29] | He was there at the time. The prisoner, I mean. | 他一直在场。 我是说,犯人。 |
[1:06:32] | You heard Mrs French and the prisoner discussing her new will? | 你听到弗伦奇太太 在跟犯人讨论她的遗嘱? |
[1:06:36] | Yes. He was to have all her money, she told him, | 是的。她告诉他, 所有财产都会留给他, |
[1:06:39] | as she had no near relations nor anybody that meant to her what he did. | 因为她没有近亲, 也没有别人比他更重要了。 |
[1:06:44] | – When did this take place? – On October 8. | – 那是什么时候的事? – 10月8日。 |
[1:06:47] | One week to the day before she was murdered. | 就是她被杀前整整一周。 |
[1:06:51] | Thank you. That concludes my examination. | 谢谢你。 我的问话完毕。 |
[1:06:55] | Not just yet, Miss McKenzie. | 还没好呢,麦肯锡小姐。 |
[1:06:58] | Would you…? Thank you. | 请你……谢谢。 |
[1:07:02] | Miss McKenzie, you have given evidence about two wills. | 麦肯锡小姐,你的 证词中提到了两份遗嘱。 |
[1:07:06] | In the old will, that which was revoked, | 在那份被废除的老遗嘱中, |
[1:07:08] | were you not to receive the bulk of Mrs French’s estate? | 应得到弗伦奇太太 大部分财产的人是你,对吗? |
[1:07:12] | That’s so. | 对,是这样。 |
[1:07:14] | Whereas in the new will, except for a bequest to you of a small annuity, | 然而在新的遗嘱里, 除了一小笔遗赠是留给你的之外, |
[1:07:18] | the principal beneficiary is the prisoner, Leonard Vole. | 最大的受益人变成了 犯人- 伦纳德·沃尔。 |
[1:07:22] | It’ll be a wicked injustice if he ever touches a penny of that money. | 他摸到哪怕一便士 都是道义的沦丧。 |
[1:07:26] | It is entirely understandable that you are antagonistic to the prisoner. | 我完全能够理解 你为什么要敌视犯人。 |
[1:07:30] | I’m not antagonistic to him. | 我没有敌视他。 |
[1:07:33] | He’s a shiftless, scheming rascal. But I’m not antagonistic to him. | 他是个无能而诡计多端的无赖。 但是我并没有敌视他。 |
[1:07:38] | I suggest you formed this opinion | 我猜你抱有这样的看法完全是因为 他与弗伦奇太太的友谊牺牲掉了你的得益。 |
[1:07:40] | because his friendship with Mrs French cost you the bulk of her estate. | |
[1:07:44] | – I’ve never liked him. – Your candour is refreshing. | – 我从来都不喜欢他。 – 你的直率值得欣赏。 |
[1:07:48] | Now. On the night of October 14 | 那么,你说10月14日晚上你 听到犯人在同弗伦奇太太说话。 |
[1:07:51] | you say you heard the prisoner and Mrs French talking together. | |
[1:07:55] | – What did you hear them say? – I didn’t hear what they actually said. | – 你听到他们在说什么? – 我没有听他们具体在说什么。 |
[1:07:58] | You mean you only heard the voices? | 你是说你只听见了说话声? |
[1:08:01] | – The murmur of voices? – They were laughing. | – 低沉的说话声? – 他们在笑。 |
[1:08:04] | What makes you say the man’s voice was Leonard Vole’s? | 为什么你说那个男人 的声音是伦纳德·沃尔的? |
[1:08:07] | – I know his voice well enough. – The door was closed, was it not? | – 我很熟悉他的声音。 – 门是关着的,对吗? |
[1:08:12] | – Aye, that’s so. – You were in a hurry to get the pattern | – 对,没错。 – 你急着回去拿图样, |
[1:08:15] | so you probably walked quickly past the closed door, | 所以你想必是 匆匆地走过了那扇房门, |
[1:08:18] | yet you are sure you heard Leonard Vole’s voice? | 而你却一口咬定 你听见的是伦纳德·沃尔的声音? |
[1:08:21] | I was there long enough to hear what I heard. | 我从门口经过的时间足够 我听清楚我听到的是什么。 |
[1:08:24] | Come, I’m sure you don’t wish to suggest to the jury that you were eavesdropping. | 好啦,麦肯锡小姐,我想 你并不希望陪审团认为你是在偷听。 |
[1:08:30] | It was him in there. Who else could it have been? | 屋里那个人就是他, 还能是谁? |
[1:08:33] | What you mean is that you wanted it to be him. That’s the way your mind worked. | 你的意思其实就是,你希望 那是他。这就是你的思路。 |
[1:08:38] | Now, tell me, did Mrs French sometimes watch television in the evening? | 好了,告诉我,弗伦奇太太 晚上有时候是不是会看电视? |
[1:08:42] | Yes. She was fond of a talk or a good play. | 是的。她很喜欢 谈话节目,或者好的电视剧。 |
[1:08:45] | Wasn’t it possible when you returned home and passed the door, | 那么,当晚你回家走过 那扇房门的时候, |
[1:08:48] | what you really heard was the television | 会不会听见的是 电视机里的声音, |
[1:08:51] | and a man and woman’s voices and laughter? | 恰好是一个男人和 一个女人在有说有笑? |
[1:08:53] | There was a play called Lover’s Leap on the television that night. | 那天晚上正好播了一部 电视剧,叫做《情人之跃》。 |
[1:08:59] | – It was not the television. – Oh, why not? | – 肯定不是电视。 – 哦,为什么? |
[1:09:03] | Because the television was away being repaired that week, that’s why. | 因为那个星期电视机 送出去修理了。这就是为什么。 |
[1:09:19] | Silence! Silence! | 肃静!肃静! |
[1:09:23] | Odd. It’s not time yet. | 真奇怪。时间还没到呢。 |
[1:09:26] | If my learned friend has no further questions, I’d like… | 如果我博学的朋友 没有别的问题了,那我…… |
[1:09:29] | I have not quite finished. | 我还没有问完。 |
[1:09:32] | You are registered, are you not, under the National Health Insurance Act? | 你是否参加了国民健康保险? |
[1:09:37] | Aye, that’s so. Four and sixpence I pay out every week. | 对,没错。 我每星期要付四先令六便士。 |
[1:09:41] | That’s a terrible lot of money for a working woman to pay. | 对我这样一个劳动妇女来说, 那可是一大笔钱。 |
[1:09:44] | I am sure that many agree with you. | 我相信很多人都同意你的观点。 |
[1:09:47] | Miss McKenzie, did you recently apply to the National Health Insurance for… | 那么,麦肯锡小姐,你最近是否 向国民健康保险申请了…… |
[1:09:54] | – … a hearing aid? – For… for what? | – 一个助听器? – 申请了……什么? |
[1:09:57] | I protest against the way in which this question was put! | 法官大人, 我抗议这种提问方式! |
[1:10:01] | I will repeat the question, my lord. | 我重复一下我的问题, 法官大人。 |
[1:10:04] | I asked you in a normal tone of voice, audible to everyone in open court, | 我以正常的音量问你, 法庭上的所有人都可以听见, |
[1:10:10] | did you apply to the National Health Insurance for a hearing aid? | 你是否向国民健康保险 申请了一个助听器? |
[1:10:15] | Yes, I did. | 是的,没错。 |
[1:10:16] | – Did you get it? – Not yet. | – 你拿到了吗? – 还没有。 |
[1:10:19] | However, you state that you walked past a door, which is four inches of solid oak, | 可是,你却说你走过一扇房门, 隔着四英寸厚的木板, |
[1:10:24] | you heard voices, and you are willing to swear | 听到了有人说话,而且你 发誓说那个说话的人就是…… |
[1:10:27] | that you could distinguish the voice of… | |
[1:10:31] | … the prisoner, Leonard Vole. | 犯人- 伦纳德·沃尔。 |
[1:10:33] | Who? Who? | 是谁?是谁? |
[1:10:36] | No further questions. | 没有别的问题了。 |
[1:10:41] | Och, maybe you could help me, Your Lordship. | 啊哦,也许你可以帮我, 法官大人。 |
[1:10:43] | Six months ago I applied for my hearing aid, and I’m still waiting for it. | 六个月前我就申请了 助听器,直到现在都没拿到。 |
[1:10:47] | My dear Miss McKenzie, considering the rubbish that is being talked nowadays, | 亲爱的麦肯锡小姐, 鉴于这年月人们总是废话连篇, |
[1:10:52] | you are missing very little. You may stand down now. | 你并没有错过很多。 你可以离开了。 |
[1:10:58] | Call Police Constable Jeffries. | 传杰弗瑞警士。 |
[1:11:01] | – Police Constable Jeffries. | – Police Constable Jeffries. – 杰弗瑞警士。 – 杰弗瑞警士。 |
[1:11:16] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give | 我向万能的上帝起誓,我提供的证词将是事实, 完完全全的事实,除了事实别无其它。 (沃尔审判第三日) |
[1:11:19] | shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. | |
[1:11:38] | Mr Myers, does that conclude your case? | 梅耶斯先生,你的传讯是否完毕了? |
[1:11:41] | No, my lord. I now call the final witness for the prosecution, Christine Helm. | 没有,法官大人。我现在要传唤 最后一位控方证人,克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。 |
[1:11:46] | – Christine Helm! – Christine Helm. | – 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆! – 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。 |
[1:12:01] | Christine. | 克莉丝汀。 |
[1:12:14] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give | 我向万能的上帝起誓,我提供的证词将是事实, 完完全全的事实,除了事实别无其它。 |
[1:12:17] | shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. | |
[1:12:21] | My lord, I have the most serious objection | 法官大人,我要提出最强烈的反对, |
[1:12:23] | to this witness being summoned, as she is the wife of the prisoner. | 这位证人没有资格做控方证人 她是犯人的妻子。 |
[1:12:28] | I call my learned friend’s attention | 我要请我博学的朋友注意, |
[1:12:30] | to the fact that I summoned not Mrs Vole, but Mrs Helm. | 我传唤的并不是 沃尔太太,而是赫尔姆太太。 |
[1:12:34] | – Your name, in fact, is Christine Helm? – Yes. Christine Helm. | – 你的名字是克莉丝汀·赫尔姆? – 是的。克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。 |
[1:12:39] | And you have been living as the wife of the prisoner, Leonard Vole? | 你以妻子的身份与犯人 伦纳德·沃尔同居,是不是? |
[1:12:42] | – Yes. – Are you actually his wife? | – 是的。 – 实际上你是他的妻子吗? |
[1:12:46] | No. | 不是。 |
[1:12:47] | I went through a marriage ceremony with him, but I already had a husband. | 我跟他在汉堡履行过结婚手续, 但是我之前已经有一个丈夫了。 |
[1:12:52] | – He’s still alive. – Christine, that’s not true! | – 他还活着。 – 克莉丝汀,这不是真的! |
[1:12:55] | There is proof of a marriage between the witness and the prisoner, | 法官大人,我们有证据证明 证人和犯人之间的婚姻, |
[1:12:58] | but is there any proof of a so-called previous marriage? | 请问那桩所谓的“之前的” 婚姻有没有证据可以证明? |
[1:13:01] | My lord, the so-called previous marriage is, in fact, well-documented. | 法官大人,这桩所谓的“之前的” 婚姻有充分的文件证明。 |
[1:13:07] | Mrs Helm, is this a certificate of marriage between yourself and Otto Ludwig Helm, | 赫尔姆太太,这是你与奥托·路德 维格·赫尔姆的结婚证吗? |
[1:13:13] | the ceremony having taken place in Breslau on 18 April 1942? | 注册地点是布雷斯劳, 时间是1942年4月18日。 |
[1:13:18] | Yes, that is the paper of my marriage. | 是的,这是我的结婚证。 |
[1:13:21] | I don’t see any reason why this witness should not be qualified to give evidence. | 我看没有任何理由 表明证人不具备作证资格。 |
[1:13:31] | You’re willing to give evidence against the man you’ve been calling your husband? | 赫尔姆太太,对于这个被你称为丈夫的人, 你愿意提供不利于他的证词吗? |
[1:13:36] | Yes. | 愿意。 |
[1:13:38] | You stated to the police that on the night that Mrs French was murdered, | 你曾经对警方声称, 弗伦奇太太被杀当晚, |
[1:13:42] | Leonard Vole left the house at 7.30 and returned at 25 minutes past 9. | 伦纳德·沃尔是在 19:30离开家,21:25回到家。 |
[1:13:47] | Did he, in fact, return at 25 past 9? | 那么他实际上是在21:25回来的吗? |
[1:13:52] | No. He returned at ten minutes past ten. | 不是,他是22:10回来的。 |
[1:13:55] | Christine, what are you saying? It’s not true. You know it’s not true! | 克莉丝汀,你在说什么呀? 这不是真的,你知道这不是真的! |
[1:14:03] | Silence! | 肃静! |
[1:14:05] | I must have silence. | 庭上务必肃静。 |
[1:14:09] | As your counsel will tell you, Vole, you will very shortly | 你的辩护律师会告诉你,沃尔, 很快你就有机会出场为自己辩护了。 |
[1:14:12] | have an opportunity of speaking in your own defence. | |
[1:14:15] | Leonard Vole returned, you say, at ten minutes past ten. | 你说,伦纳德·沃尔 是在22:10到家的。 |
[1:14:19] | – And what happened next? – He was breathing hard, very excited. | – 然后呢? – 他气喘吁吁,非常激动。 |
[1:14:23] | He threw off his coat and examined the sleeves. | 他脱下外衣, 看了看袖口。 |
[1:14:26] | Then he told me to wash the cuffs. | 然后他叫我 把袖口洗一洗。 |
[1:14:28] | – They had blood on them. – Go on. | – 上面有血迹。 – 说下去。 |
[1:14:30] | – I said “What have you done?” – What did the prisoner say? | – 我问:“伦纳德,你做了什么?” – 犯人怎么说? |
[1:14:34] | He said “I’ve killed her.” | 他说:“我杀了她。” |
[1:14:36] | Christine! Why are you lying? Why are you saying these things? | 克莉丝汀!你为什么要撒谎? 你为什么要这么说? |
[1:14:41] | – What an awful woman. – She’s evil. I’ve known it all along. | – 多可怕的女人。 – 她坏透了。我早看出来了。 |
[1:14:48] | If the defence so desires, I will adjourn for a short time | 如果辩方需要的话, 我可以休庭片刻, |
[1:14:52] | so that the prisoner may gain control of himself. | 以便于犯人恢复自制。 |
[1:14:55] | My lord is most gracious, but pray let the witness continue. | 多谢法官大人的体贴, 不过请证人继续吧。 |
[1:14:59] | We are all of us caught up in the suspense of this horror fiction. | 我们都等着观赏 这部恐怖小说的悬念揭晓, |
[1:15:03] | To have to hear it in instalments might prove unendurable. | 这时候中断恐怕 会让人心痒难耐。 |
[1:15:07] | – Proceed, Mr Myers. – Mrs Helm, | – 继续吧,梅耶斯先生。 – 赫尔姆太太, |
[1:15:10] | when the prisoner said “I have killed her”, did you know to whom he referred? | 当犯人说“我杀了她”的时候, 你知道他说的是谁吗? |
[1:15:15] | It was that woman he had been seeing so often. | 我知道就是他经常 去见的那个女人。 |
[1:15:18] | When questioned by the police, you told them that the prisoner returned at 9.25. | 警方向你问话的时候, 你告诉他们犯人是21:25到家的。 |
[1:15:23] | Yes. Because Leonard asked me to say that. | 是的。因为伦纳德 要我这么说。 |
[1:15:25] | But you’ve changed your story now. Why? | 但是你现在改变了说法,为什么? |
[1:15:28] | I cannot go on lying to save him. | 我不能再为了救他而撒谎了。 |
[1:15:30] | I said to the police what he wanted because I’m grateful to him. | 他要我对警方说的话, 我都说了,因为我感激他。 |
[1:15:33] | He married me and brought me to this country. | 他娶了我, 把我带到这个国家。 |
[1:15:36] | What he has asked me to do I have because I was grateful. | 但凡他要我做什么我都做了, 因为我感激他。 |
[1:15:39] | It was not because he was your husband and you loved him? | 这并不是因为他是 你的丈夫、以及你爱他? |
[1:15:43] | I never loved him. | 我从来没爱过他。 |
[1:15:45] | It was gratitude, then, that prompted you to give him an alibi | 那么,完全是出于感激, 你才在警方问话时 |
[1:15:49] | – in your statement to the police? – That is it. Exactly. | – 提供了他的不在场证明? – 就是这样,一点不错。 |
[1:15:52] | – But now you think it was wrong to do so. – Because it is murder. | – 但是现在你觉得那样做是错误的。 – 因为这是谋杀。 |
[1:15:56] | That woman, she was a harmless old fool, | 那个女人是个毫无危害的老糊涂。 |
[1:15:58] | and he makes of me an accomplice to the murder. | 他这样做是使我 成为了谋杀案的同谋。 |
[1:16:01] | I cannot come into court and swear that he was with me at the time it was done. | 我不能在法庭上宣誓说 谋杀案发生的时候他跟我在一起。 |
[1:16:05] | I cannot do it! I cannot do it! | 我不能这么干! 我不能这么干! |
[1:16:08] | Then this is the truth? | 那么说,伦纳德·沃尔 是在22:10回到家, |
[1:16:10] | That Leonard Vole returned that night at ten minutes past ten, | |
[1:16:14] | he had blood on the sleeves of his coat, | 袖口上还沾着血, |
[1:16:16] | and that he said to you “I have killed her”? | 他告诉你:“我杀了她。” 这是事实吗? |
[1:16:22] | That is the truth. | 这是事实。 |
[1:16:24] | That is the truth, before God? | 这是事实,你向上帝起誓? |
[1:16:27] | That is the truth. | 这是事实。 |
[1:16:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[1:16:37] | Mrs Vole, or Mrs Helm, which do you prefer to be called? | 沃尔太太,或者赫尔姆太太, 你更喜欢哪个称呼? |
[1:16:40] | – It does not matter. – Does it not? | – 这无关紧要。 – 这无关紧要吗? |
[1:16:43] | In this country we are inclined to take a rather more serious view of marriage. | 在这个国家, 我们把婚姻看作很严肃的事。 |
[1:16:47] | However, it would appear that when you first met the prisoner in Hamburg | 然而,赫尔姆太太,当你在汉堡 第一次见到犯人的时候, |
[1:16:52] | – you lied to him about your marital status. – I wanted to get out of Germany, so… | – 你撒谎说你没有结过婚。 – 我想离开德国,所以…… |
[1:16:57] | You lied, did you not? Just yes or no, please. | 你撒谎了,对吗? 只要说是或不是,谢谢。 |
[1:17:00] | – Yes. – Thank you. | – 是的。 – 谢谢。 |
[1:17:02] | And in arranging the marriage, you lied to the authorities? | 在办理结婚手续的时候, 你对政府部门撒谎了? |
[1:17:05] | I, um, did not tell the truth to the authorities. | 我,嗯,向政府 部门隐瞒了实情。 |
[1:17:08] | – You lied to them? – Yes. | – 你对他们撒谎了? – 是的。 |
[1:17:11] | And in the ceremony, when you swore to love, honour and cherish your husband, | 在举行结婚典礼的时候,你宣誓说 你爱你丈夫、尊敬他、珍视他, |
[1:17:15] | – that too was a lie? – Yes. | – 你又一次撒谎了? – 是的。 |
[1:17:18] | And when the police questioned you about this wretched man | 当警察向你问起这个自以为 结了婚、有人爱的可怜男人的时候, |
[1:17:21] | who believed himself married and loved, | |
[1:17:24] | – you told them… – I told them what he wanted me to. | – 你告诉他们…… – 我告诉他们的,都是伦纳德要我说的。 |
[1:17:26] | You told them that he was at home with you at 25 minutes past 9, | 你告诉他们,21:25时 他已经到家,跟你在一起, |
[1:17:30] | – and now you say that that was a lie? – Yes, a lie! | – 而现在你却说那是谎言? – 是的,谎言! |
[1:17:35] | And when you said that he had accidentally cut his wrist, again, you lied? | 那么当你说他是不小心割伤了 自己的手腕时,你又一次撒谎了? |
[1:17:39] | – Yes! – And today you told a new story entirely. | – 是的! – 而今天你却来了个天翻地覆。 |
[1:17:44] | The question is, Frau Helm, were you lying then, are you lying now? | 赫尔姆太太,问题在于, 你究竟是当时在撒谎,还是现在在撒谎? |
[1:17:48] | Or are you not, in fact, a chronic and habitual liar?! | 或者,你干脆就是个 积习已深、说谎成性的骗子! |
[1:17:55] | Carter, Carter! The other pill. Under the tongue. | 卡特,卡特! 另外那种药片,放舌头下面。 |
[1:18:00] | My lord, is my learned friend to be allowed to bully and insult the witness? | 法官大人,我博学的朋友 怎么可以如此威逼、侮辱证人? |
[1:18:04] | Mr Myers, this is a capital charge and, within the bounds of reason, | 梅耶斯先生,这个控诉至关重要, 只要在尺度范围之内, |
[1:18:09] | I should like the defence to have every latitude. | 我可以给予辩方 充分的言论自由。 |
[1:18:16] | My lord, may I also remind my learned friend | 法官大人,请允许 我提醒我博学的朋友, |
[1:18:19] | that his witness, by her own admission, has already violated so many oaths | 他的证人承认自己 曾经那么多次地背弃誓言, |
[1:18:23] | that I am surprised the Testament did not leap from her hand | 如果说她今天作证时并没有 把宣誓当成一回事,我也毫不惊讶。 |
[1:18:27] | when she was sworn here today. | |
[1:18:30] | I doubt if anything is to be gained by questioning you any further. | 我认为继续询问 任何问题都是毫无意义的。 |
[1:18:34] | That will be all, Frau Helm. | 我的提问到此为止, 赫尔姆太太。 |
[1:18:41] | Mrs Helm, I presume you know the meaning of the English word “perjury”? | 赫尔姆太太,我想你应该 知道“伪证”这个英语单词的意思? |
[1:18:46] | – In German, the word is Meineid. – Yes. Meineid. | – 在德语里面,这个单词是“Meineid”。 – 是的,“Meineid”。 |
[1:18:49] | It means to swear falsely under oath. | 意思是虚假地宣誓并作证。 |
[1:18:52] | And are you aware, Mrs Helm, | 那么你是否清楚, 赫尔姆太太, |
[1:18:54] | that the penalty in this country for perjury is a heavy term of imprisonment? | 在这个国家对于伪证罪 的惩罚是很重的,可判入狱? |
[1:18:59] | Yes, I’m aware. | 是的,我很清楚。 |
[1:19:01] | Mindful of this fact, I ask you once more, is the evidence that you have given | 基于对伪证罪的了解,我再 问你一次,你所提供的证词 |
[1:19:06] | the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? | 是否是事实,完完全全 的事实,除了事实别无其它? |
[1:19:10] | So help me, God. | 上帝可鉴。 |
[1:19:13] | Then that, my lord, is the case for the prosecution. | 好,法官大人, 控方的传讯完毕。 |
[1:19:35] | – Want a tissue? – Yes, thanks. | – 要纸巾吗? – 好的,谢谢。 |
[1:19:39] | It’s the first murder trial I’ve ever been to. It’s terrible. | 这是我第一次旁听 谋杀案审判,太可怕了。 |
[1:19:44] | Silence. | 肃静。 |
[1:19:47] | Sir Wilfrid. Are you ready for the defence? | 威尔弗莱德爵士。 你准备好作辩方陈述了吗? |
[1:19:53] | My lord, members of the jury, | 法官大人,各位陪审员, |
[1:19:57] | the prosecution has very ably presented against the prisoner, Leonard Vole, | 控方十分巧妙地对 犯人伦纳德·沃尔提出了控诉, |
[1:20:02] | a case with the most overwhelming circumstantial evidence. | 给出了具有 压倒性的间接证据。 |
[1:20:07] | Among the witnesses you have heard Chief Inspector Hearne, | 我们听到了 赫恩总警巡的证词, |
[1:20:10] | who has given his testimony in a fair and impartial manner, as he always does. | 一如往常,他的证词 公正而不偏不倚。 |
[1:20:16] | He has put before you a clever theory of how this crime was committed. | 他很聪明地向我们 阐述了关于犯罪经过的推论。 |
[1:20:21] | Whether it is theory or actual fact, however, | 然而,这究竟只是推论, 还是事实,将由你们自己来判断。 |
[1:20:25] | you will decide for yourselves. | |
[1:20:28] | And then you have heard the evidence of Janet McKenzie, | 然后你们听到了 珍妮特·麦肯锡的证词, |
[1:20:32] | a worthy and devoted housekeeper who has suffered two most grievous losses. | 她是个可敬而忠心耿耿的女管家, 却因蒙受了重大损失而饱受其苦。 |
[1:20:36] | One, the death of her beloved mistress | 首先,是因为痛失了 她热爱的女主人。 |
[1:20:38] | and, second, in being deprived of an inheritance of L80,000, | 其次,则是因为被剥夺了 八万英镑的继承权, |
[1:20:44] | which she’d fully expected to receive. | 对此她曾抱有满心的希望。 |
[1:20:47] | I will not comment further on her evidence, | 我不想对她的证词作过多的评论, 只想对她表示我深深的同情, |
[1:20:52] | but will express only my deepest sympathy for her | |
[1:20:56] | in both these… mishaps. | 为这两大……飞来横祸。 |
[1:21:00] | And most damaging of all, the prosecution has produced a surprise witness, | 然而最具有杀伤力的,则是控方 传唤的一位出人意料的证人, |
[1:21:06] | one Christine Helm, whom the prisoner brought from the rubble of her homeland | 叫做克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。正是犯人 把她从故国的瓦砾丛中 |
[1:21:11] | to the safety of this country, giving her his love and the protection of his name. | 带到这个国家,给了她爱, 以自己的姓氏为她提供了保护。 |
[1:21:15] | I objected to her testimony because a wife cannot give evidence | 我反对她出庭作证,因为 一个妻子不能提供有损于其丈夫的证词。 |
[1:21:19] | harmful to her husband. | |
[1:21:22] | But it has been proven that her marriage to Mr Vole was fraudulent and bigamous. | 但是事实证明,她与伦纳德·沃尔 的婚姻是一场骗局,是重婚。 |
[1:21:29] | Therefore, her evidence must be admitted and you must consider it. | 因此,她的证词必须被视为有效, 而你们则必须认真考虑- 究竟什么才是事实。 |
[1:21:35] | For what it is worth. | |
[1:21:40] | Such is the prosecution’s case. Now it is the turn of the defence. | 以上就是控方的论述。 现在该轮到辩方了。 |
[1:21:44] | We could present, on behalf of the prisoner, witnesses to his character, | 作为犯人的代表,我们完全可以 传唤证人来证明他的人品, |
[1:21:48] | his war record, the lack of criminal or evil association in his past. | 他的服役记录,他从无违法犯罪记录 及其他恶劣行为的过往表现。 |
[1:21:52] | However, only one witness can shed new light | 然而,只有一位证人才能更清晰地 为我们揭示这场悲剧的真相, |
[1:21:58] | on this tragic riddle. | |
[1:22:02] | The prisoner himself. | 那就是犯人本人。 |
[1:22:06] | Members of the jury, | 各位陪审员,我要传唤 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔。 |
[1:22:08] | I call Leonard Stephen Vole. | |
[1:22:31] | I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I give will be the truth, | 我向万能的上帝起誓,我提供的证词将是事实, 完完全全的事实,除了事实别无其它。 不要。 |
[1:22:34] | – the whole truth and nothing but the truth. – No. | |
[1:22:39] | – Is your name Leonard Stephen Vole? – It is. | – 你的姓名是伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔? – 对。 |
[1:22:43] | – Where do live? – 620 Edgware Road. | – 你的住址是? – 爱德华尔路620号。 |
[1:22:46] | Leonard Stephen Vole, did you or did you not on the night of October 14 last, | 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔, 你是否在10月14日的晚上 |
[1:22:52] | murder Emily Jane French? | 杀害了埃米莉·简·弗伦奇? |
[1:22:54] | – I did not. – Thank you, that will be all. | – 我没有。 – 谢谢你,我问完了。 |
[1:23:01] | Have you, in fact, concluded your examination of the prisoner, Sir Wilfrid? | 你对犯人的提问真的 完毕了吗,威尔弗莱德爵士? |
[1:23:05] | The prisoner has endured three days of profound mental agony and shock. | 法官大人,犯人已经忍受了 三天的心理折磨和惊扰。 |
[1:23:11] | The defence feels his faculties should be spared | 辩方认为他应该集中精力来 面对我博学的控方朋友的盘问。 |
[1:23:13] | for the cross-examination by my learned friend for the prosecution. | |
[1:23:17] | This is not a plea for any indulgence. | 我并不是在祈求宽待。 |
[1:23:20] | I am confident that no matter how searching this may be, | 我非常确信,任何的 质询犯人都可以面对。 |
[1:23:23] | the prisoner will withstand it. | |
[1:23:27] | At the time you made the acquaintance of Mrs French, were you employed? | 沃尔先生,你认识 弗伦奇太太的时候,有没有工作? |
[1:23:31] | – No, sir. – How much money did you have? | – 没有,先生。 – 你当时有多少钱? |
[1:23:33] | – A few pounds. – Did she give you any? | – 没多少。 – 她有没有给你钱? |
[1:23:36] | No. | 没有。 |
[1:23:37] | – Did you expect to receive any? – No, sir. | – 你指望问她要钱吗? – 没有,先生。 |
[1:23:39] | Did you know that in her new will, you were the beneficiary of L80,000? | 你是否知道根据她的新遗嘱, 你可以得到八万英镑? |
[1:23:44] | No, I didn’t. | 不,我不知道。 |
[1:23:45] | Now, Mr Vole, when you went to visit Mrs French for the last time, | 好,沃尔先生,你最后一次 去拜访弗伦奇太太的时候, |
[1:23:50] | did you wear a trench coat and a brown hat? | 是不是穿这件上衣、 戴这顶帽子? |
[1:23:55] | – Yes, I did. – Was it this coat and hat? | – 是的,没错。 – 衣服和帽子都对? |
[1:24:00] | Yes, sir. | 对,先生。 |
[1:24:01] | My lord, the defence, in its efforts to establish an alibi for the prisoner, | 法官大人,辩方曾致力于 为犯人建立不在场证明, |
[1:24:06] | circulated this photograph, hoping to bring forth a witness | 因此传播了这张照片, 希望能找到某个证人, |
[1:24:10] | who had seen him leaving Mrs French’s house or entering his own | 以证明犯人是在他所说的时间 离开弗伦奇太太家,并走回自己家。 |
[1:24:13] | at the times that he has stated. | |
[1:24:16] | Apparently, this splendid effort was without results. | 显然,这项值得称道 的努力并没有结果。 |
[1:24:19] | However, the defence will be pleased to learn | 然而,值得辩方高兴的是,就在 最后一刻,有一位证人出现了, |
[1:24:22] | that, at the last moment, a witness has come forward, | |
[1:24:25] | and that the prisoner had been seen wearing this coat and this hat. | 声称看到了犯人 穿这件衣服、戴这顶帽子。 |
[1:24:30] | Lamentably, he had not been seen on the night of the murder but one week before. | 可令人伤心的是,他并不是案发当晚 看到的证人,而是在案发前一星期看到的。 |
[1:24:36] | On the afternoon of October 8, were you not in a travel agency in Regent Street? | 在10月8日下午,你是否去过 摄政街上的一家旅行社? |
[1:24:40] | And did you not make inquiries about prices and schedules of foreign cruises? | 你是否在那里咨询过 国外旅行线路的价格? |
[1:24:44] | Supposing I did? It’s not a crime, is it? | 我去过又如何呢? 这也不犯法,对不对? |
[1:24:48] | Not at all. Many people go on a cruise when they can afford to pay for it. | 当然不犯法。人们总是在 负担得起的情况下才会出国旅游。 |
[1:24:52] | – But you couldn’t pay for it, could you? – Well, I was hard up. I told you that. | – 可是你负担不起,对吗,沃尔先生? – 嗯,我很缺钱,我已经告诉你了。 |
[1:24:57] | And yet you came to this particular travel agency with a clinging brunette? | 而你却去了那家旅行社, 身边还有一个小鸟依人的黑发姑娘? |
[1:25:02] | A clinging brunette, Mr Myers? | 小鸟依人的黑发姑娘, 梅耶斯先生? |
[1:25:06] | My lord, the lady was so described to me. | 法官大人,我所听到的 关于她的描述就是这样。 |
[1:25:08] | She was very affectionate with the prisoner, constantly clinging to his arm. | 她与犯人非常亲昵, 一直挽着他的胳膊。 |
[1:25:12] | Oh. | 哦。 |
[1:25:15] | You then admit that you made inquiries about expensive and luxurious cruises? | 那你是否承认你咨询过 昂贵而豪华的出国旅行线路? |
[1:25:20] | How did you expect to pay for such a thing? | 你怎么可能负担得起? |
[1:25:22] | – I don’t know. It was… – If you don’t know, perhaps I can help. | – 我说不清,当时…… – 如果你说不清,也许我可以帮你。 |
[1:25:25] | On the morning of the very same day, you heard Mrs French change her will, | 根据斯多克斯先生的说法,就在那天上午, 你听见弗伦奇太太说她修改了遗嘱, |
[1:25:30] | – leaving you the bulk of her money. – I didn’t! | – 留给你一大笔钱。 – 我没有!遗嘱的事我根本…… |
[1:25:32] | And in the afternoon, you started plans to dispose of it. | 结果当天下午, 你就开始盘算怎么用了。 |
[1:25:36] | No! It was nothing of the kind. | 不!这是没有的事。 |
[1:25:38] | I was in a pub and I met a girl. I don’t even remember her name. | 当时我在酒吧里认识了一个女孩。 我连她的名字都不记得了。 |
[1:25:41] | We had a drink and walked out together. | 我们一块儿喝了一杯, 然后结伴走出去。 |
[1:25:44] | We passed the window and saw the fancy posters, all blue seas and palm trees. | 走过那个橱窗时,我们看到了那些 令人着迷的海报,全都是蓝色的大海和棕榈树。 |
[1:25:50] | The Grecian isles or somewhere. We went in for fun and I started asking for folders. | 是希腊岛屿之类的地方。我们觉得好玩儿, 就走了进去,我问他们要宣传资料。 |
[1:25:55] | Well, the man gave me a funny look because I did look a bit shabby. | 结果,那个人用古怪的眼神看了 我一眼,大概是觉得我穿得有点寒酸。 |
[1:25:59] | Anyway, it irritated me, so I kept asking for the swankiest tours, | 反正,这激怒了我,我就继续 询问那些时髦的旅行计划, |
[1:26:03] | all de luxe and cabin on the boat deck, but it was just an act! | 全都是最豪华的,甲板上的景观舱, 不过这只是做做样子罢了! |
[1:26:06] | An act? You knew that in a week you were going to inherit L80,000! | 做做样子?你知道一星期 后你将得到八万英镑! |
[1:26:11] | No! It wasn’t that way at all. It was make-believe and childish but… | 不!绝对不是这样。听上去 也许不可信,而且孩子气,可是…… |
[1:26:15] | it was fun and I enjoyed it. I never thought of killing anyone or inheriting any money. | 那样做确实很有趣,我很自得其乐。 我从没想过要杀掉什么人来继承遗产。 |
[1:26:20] | It’s just a coincidence that Mrs French should be killed only one week later? | 那么弗伦奇太太一星期后 被杀害仅仅是惊人的巧合吗? |
[1:26:24] | I told you! I didn’t kill her! | 我告诉你了! 我没有杀她! |
[1:26:27] | Do you know any reason why Christine Helm should give the evidence she has | 那你认为克莉丝汀·赫尔姆为什么 要提供这样的证词,如果这不是真的? 不知道,我不知道我妻子为什么…… |
[1:26:31] | – if it were not true? – No. I don’t know why my wife… | |
[1:26:36] | I don’t know why I still call her my wife. She must be lying or out of her mind. | 我也不知道为什么还是把她称作我妻子。 她一定是丧失了理智才这样撒谎。 |
[1:26:41] | She seemed remarkably sane and self-possessed. | 她看起来很健全, 也很镇定。 |
[1:26:44] | – But insanity is all you can suggest? – I don’t understand it. | – 可是精神错乱却成为你唯一能想到的理由? – 我也不明白。 |
[1:26:49] | Oh, God! What’s happened? What’s changed her? | 哦,上帝啊!这是怎么了? 她怎么会变成这样? |
[1:26:51] | Very effective, I’m sure. But in this court we deal with fact. | 非常动人,是啊。 但是在法庭上我们只认事实。 |
[1:26:55] | And the fact, Mr Vole, is that we’ve only your word for it. | 而事实就是,沃尔先生, 我们只有你自己的说法。 |
[1:26:58] | That you left Mrs French’s house at the time you say, | 离开弗伦奇太太家的时间, 是你自己说的, |
[1:27:02] | that you came home at 5 and 20 minutes past 9, and that you did not go out again! | 你在17:00和21:20两次回到家, 而且没有再出门,这也是你自己说的! |
[1:27:06] | Somebody must have seen me in the street or going in the house! | 一定有人看到我 走在大街上、或者走进家门! |
[1:27:10] | One would think so. But the only person who did see you come home that night | 这是很自然的想法。 但是唯一看到你回家的人 |
[1:27:14] | says it was ten past ten and that you had blood on your hands. | 说你是在22:10回到家, 而且袖子上还有血。 |
[1:27:18] | – I cut my wrist! – You cut your wrist deliberately! | – 我割伤了自己的手腕! – 你是故意割伤了自己的手腕! |
[1:27:21] | No, I didn’t! I didn’t do anything. | 不,我没有! 我什么也没干。 |
[1:27:23] | But you make it sound as though I did. I can hear it myself. | 可是被你一说,好像都是我干的, 我自己听着都像…… |
[1:27:26] | You came home at ten past ten! | 你是在22:10回到家的! |
[1:27:28] | No, I didn’t! You’ve got to believe me. You’ve got to believe me! | 不,不是!你们必须相信我, 你们必须相信我! |
[1:27:33] | You killed Emily French! | 你杀害了埃米莉·弗伦奇! |
[1:27:35] | No, I didn’t! I didn’t do it! | 不,我没有!我没有! |
[1:27:38] | I didn’t kill her! I never killed anybody! | 我没有杀她! 我从没杀过任何人! |
[1:27:42] | God, it’s like a nightmare. Some ghastly, horrible dream. | 上帝啊,这就像一个噩梦。 邪恶、恐怖的噩梦。 |
[1:27:52] | Good evening, Sir Wilfrid. How did it go today? | 晚上好,威尔弗莱德爵士。 今天怎么样? |
[1:27:54] | Oh, Sir Wilfrid. | 哦,威尔弗莱德爵士。 |
[1:27:57] | I’m from Hawks and Hill, sir, and I’ve brought your Bermuda shorts for a fitting. | 我是霍克斯&希尔制衣店的,先生, 我把您的百慕大短裤带来了,请您试穿。 |
[1:28:03] | What? | 什么? |
[1:28:04] | – You’d better slip these on, Sir Wilfrid. – I’m in the middle of a murder trial. | 您最好穿穿看,威尔弗莱德爵士, 否则明天可来不及。 我现在正忙着应付 一桩谋杀案的审判。 |
[1:28:09] | It’ll all be over by the afternoon, and the boat train doesn’t go until 9.40. | 明天下午就结束了, 去码头的火车明晚21:40出发。 |
[1:28:13] | You work it out. You know my shape, you’ve stabbed it often enough. | 你搞定这事儿吧,我的体型 你知道,你经常用针扎我。 |
[1:28:17] | Upstairs. You need a lukewarm bath and your calcium injection. | 上楼吧,爵士。你该洗个温水澡, 然后我帮你注射钙剂。 |
[1:28:21] | And there’s a lot more packing to be done. | 哦,还有很多东西要打包。 |
[1:28:25] | It’s ridiculous having boat reservations. The jury may be out for days. | 现在就定好船票真荒谬。 陪审团达不成一致的话也可能延期。 |
[1:28:30] | Not on this case, I’m afraid. It seems too open-and-shut. | 这个案子恐怕不会。 似乎太一目了然了。 |
[1:28:37] | I watched when Frau Helm was on the stand. They didn’t like her. | 赫尔姆太太作证的时候 我观察过,他们并不喜欢她。 |
[1:28:40] | No, but they believed her. They liked Leonard Vole but they didn’t believe him. | 是的,他们不喜欢她,但是相信她。 他们喜欢伦纳德·沃尔,但是不相信他。 |
[1:28:45] | And that travel agency business doesn’t help either. Cigar? | 旅行社的事情也是雪上加霜。 要雪茄吗,威尔弗莱德? |
[1:28:48] | No. | 不要。 |
[1:28:49] | – Wilfrid, do you think she lied? – Well, don’t you? | – 威尔弗莱德,你觉得她是在说谎吗? – 哦,你不觉得? |
[1:28:52] | I’m not sure. | 我不知道,我不确定。 |
[1:28:54] | I am. She lied. Whether she calls it Meineid or perjury, she lied. | 我确定。她是在说谎。无论她管那叫作 伪证还是“Meineid”,她说谎了。 |
[1:28:57] | The only question is why. What’s her game? What is she up to? What? | 可关键在于为什么,她葫芦里卖的 什么药?她到底是为什么?为什么? |
[1:29:03] | I hope that in your final speech you won’t become too emotionally involved. | 威尔弗莱德爵士,希望您明天在 结案陈词的时候不要那么情绪化。 |
[1:29:08] | – You must think of your condition. – He’s right. | – 您应该顾及自己的健康。 – 他说得对。 |
[1:29:11] | I want to see you save yourself. This isn’t going to be your last case. | 我希望你能保全自己。 这可不是你的最后一个案子。 |
[1:29:15] | Yes, it is. But until it’s over, I’m still a barrister. | 不,这就是最后一个。不过, 在结束前,我仍然是个出庭律师。 |
[1:29:19] | My client’s life is at stake. That’s all that matters – his life. | 我委托人的生命危在旦夕, 这是最至关重要的- 他的生命。 |
[1:29:23] | He’s entitled to the best that I can do. | 他有权得到我的倾力相助。 |
[1:29:26] | If I can’t stand up to make my final appeal for him, I’ll make it sitting down. | 如果我无法站起来 为他念结案陈词,那我就坐着念。 |
[1:29:30] | If I become short of breath I’ll take a pill, or two pills, or all of them and the box too. | 如果我觉得气短,那我就含一片药片, 或者两片,或者全都放进嘴里,连同药盒。 |
[1:29:42] | – Yes? – This Sir Wilfrid Robarts’ place? | – 你好? – 这是威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨爵士的办公室吧? |
[1:29:46] | – Well, yes, it is. – Let me talk to the old geezer. | – 嗯,是的,没错。 – 让我跟那老头儿说话。 |
[1:29:49] | – Who is this speaking, please? – Never you mind. Let me talk to ‘im. | – 请问你是哪位? – 你别管,让我跟他说话。 |
[1:29:54] | I’m afraid that’s impossible. What is the nature of your business? | 恐怕不太可能。 你有什么事? |
[1:29:57] | It’s business all right. I’ve got something to sell ‘im, I ‘ave. | 是正事儿。 我有东西要卖给他。 |
[1:30:01] | Well, really, madam! | 哦,是吗,女士! |
[1:30:02] | And what I want to sell ‘im, believe me, ‘e’ll want to buy. | 信不信由你,我打算 卖的东西他肯定会买。 |
[1:30:05] | – It’s got to do with that Leonard Vole. – Leonard Vole? | – 这东西跟伦纳德·沃尔有关。 – 伦纳德·沃尔? |
[1:30:09] | It’s about that German wife. | 是关于那个德国妻子的。 |
[1:30:11] | I’ve got the goods on her and it’s for sale. | 我有关于她的东西要卖。 |
[1:30:17] | This is Wilfrid Robarts speaking. Now, what is this all about? | 我是威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨。 说吧,怎么回事儿? |
[1:30:21] | Well, hello, ducky. | 哦,你好啊,宝贝儿。 |
[1:30:23] | What is this you said about Mrs Leonard Vole? | 你说与伦纳德·沃尔太太 有关的是什么东西? |
[1:30:26] | I’m not just saying. I’ve got it in black and white. | 我不只是“说”, 我有白纸黑字。 |
[1:30:30] | – You’ve got what? – Listen to this carefully, ducks. | – 你有什么? – 仔细听好,宝贝儿。 |
[1:30:33] | I’m at the buffet at Euston Station at the far end of the bar. | 我在尤斯顿火车站的 小卖部里,吧台的尽头。 |
[1:30:37] | I’ll be here for 30 minutes because that’s when me train leaves. | 我在这儿等火车, 还有30分钟就要开了。 |
[1:30:41] | If you want the lowdown on that German bag, get yourself here. | 如果你想知道那个 德国烂货的秘密,就快过来。 |
[1:30:44] | What lowdown? What do you know about her? | 什么秘密? 你知道什么? |
[1:30:47] | Uh-uh. Not on the phone. | 哦,呃, 电话里我不会说的。 |
[1:30:49] | You’d better get on over here, and bring plenty of money. | 你最好快点过来,带够钱。 |
[1:30:54] | Now, just a moment! Hello? Hello? | 嗯,等等!喂?喂? |
[1:30:59] | That’s… bilge. Some drunken crank. You get those in every murder trial. | 尽是……胡话,一定是喝醉了。 每个谋杀案都会碰到这种人。 |
[1:31:05] | Giving me an ultimatum, Euston Station in 30 minutes. Got the lowdown on Mrs Vole. | 给了我一个最后通牒,30分钟内必须 赶到尤斯顿火车站。说她手上有沃尔太太的秘密。 |
[1:31:10] | Balderdash. | 胡言乱语。 |
[1:31:12] | I’m too old and too sick to go on a wild-goose chase. | 我又老又病, 空跑一场我可受不了。 |
[1:31:17] | – Come on, Mayhew. – Where to, Sir Wilfrid? | – 走吧,梅休。 – 去哪儿,威尔弗莱德爵士? |
[1:31:20] | Euston Station, where do you think? | 尤斯顿火车站,还有哪儿? |
[1:31:25] | Now, sir? | 可以试了,先生? |
[1:31:27] | Shortly. | 稍等。 |
[1:31:30] | Cigar! | 雪茄! |
[1:31:32] | Sir Wilfrid, where are you going? | 威尔弗莱德爵士,你去哪儿? |
[1:31:34] | Your bath, your massage, your dinner, your injection! | 你的温水澡,你的按摩, 你的晚餐,你的注射! |
[1:31:39] | Thank you, Miss Plimsoll. | 谢谢你,普利姆索尔小姐。 |
[1:32:07] | – You wouldn’t be Sir Wilfrid, would you? – I would. | – 你就是威尔弗莱德爵士吧,是不是? – 我是。 |
[1:32:10] | Didn’t recognise you without your wig. Lovely you all look in them wigs. | 不戴假发我都认不出来了。 你们戴假发的样子多有趣。 |
[1:32:15] | Two o’ yer? I’m not talking to two o’ yer. | 两个人? 我可不打算跟两个人谈。 |
[1:32:18] | This is Mr Mayhew, Leonard Vole’s solicitor. | 这位是梅休先生, 伦纳德·沃尔的法律顾问。 |
[1:32:20] | – Well, that’s all right, then. – And your name, please? | – 嗯,那好吧。 – 请问你的大名? |
[1:32:24] | No need for mine. If I did give you a name it mightn’t be the right one, might it? | 没必要问我。告诉你 也不会是真的,对不对? |
[1:32:29] | ‘Ave a drink, boys. Two whiskies for me gen’lmen friends. | 来一杯吧,老兄。 给这两位先生每人来一杯威士忌。 |
[1:32:34] | Now what is this information you allegedly have? | 你说你手上有的是什么信息? |
[1:32:36] | You realise that you’re duty-bound to give any evidence that you might have? | 你是否明白,如果你手头有什么 证据的话,应该义不容辞地拿出来? |
[1:32:41] | – Come off it. Did you bring any money? – What is it you have, madam? | – 哦,得了吧。你们带钱了吗? – 你手上有的是什么,女士? |
[1:32:46] | Letters. Letters that German wife of ‘is wrote. That’s what I’ve got. | 信。那个德国妻子写的信, 这就是我手上的东西。 |
[1:32:50] | – Letters written to the prisoner? – To the prisoner? Don’t make me laugh. | – 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆写给犯人的信? – 写给犯人?别惹我笑了。 |
[1:32:55] | Poor bleeder, he’s been took in by ‘er all right. And these letters prove it. | 可怜的倒霉蛋,他被她 骗得团团转。这些信就是证明。 |
[1:32:59] | If we could see these letters, we could advise you as to how pertinent they are. | 你给我们看看信, 我们才知道是不是有用。 |
[1:33:05] | Well, I don’t expect you… | 嗯,我也没指望…… |
[1:33:11] | Well, as I say, I don’t expect you to buy without seeing, but fair’s fair. | 嗯,是啊,我也没指望你们不看 一眼就买下来。可生意就是生意。 |
[1:33:15] | If these letters get the boy off, it’s L100 for me, right? | 如果这些信能让那小伙子脱罪, 你们得付我100英镑,怎么样? |
[1:33:19] | If these letters contain information useful to the defence, I’m prepared to offer L10. | 如果这些信里有对辩方 有利的信息,我愿意给你10英镑。 |
[1:33:24] | What? Ten bleeding pounds for letters like these? | 什么?区区10英镑 就想买这些信? |
[1:33:28] | Take that piece of glass out o’ yer eye. Good night. | 把你眼睛上的玻璃片 拿掉吧。再会了。 |
[1:33:31] | If these help prove my client’s innocence, | 如果这些信能证明 我的委托人是无辜的, |
[1:33:33] | L20 should, I think, not be an unreasonable sum for your expenses. | 我想,给你20英镑的 劳务费还是很公道的。 |
[1:33:37] | 50 and it’s a bargain. That’s if you’re satisfied with ’em. | 50英镑就可以成交。 如果你们对这些信满意的话。 |
[1:33:40] | – L40. – All right, blast yer. | – 40英镑。 – 好吧,该死。 |
[1:33:42] | ‘Ere, take ’em. Nice little lot there. | 好了,拿去吧。 这可是好几封呢。 |
[1:33:45] | How do we know these are from Mrs Vole? | 我们怎么知道 这些信是沃尔太太写的? |
[1:33:48] | Oh, she wrote ’em all right. It’s all fair an’ square. | 哦,是她写的没错。 童叟无欺。 |
[1:33:55] | I ‘ope they fix ‘er good and proper. | 我想这些信会让她好瞧的。 |
[1:33:59] | I’ve had messages from Mrs Vole. It looks like her handwriting. | 我那儿有一张沃尔太太的便条。 这看起来是她的笔迹。 |
[1:34:03] | Good heavens, look at this. | 我的天,看看这封。 |
[1:34:08] | Juicy, ain’t they? | 很有趣,是不是? |
[1:34:11] | – There’s one that’s even better. – How did you get hold of these? | – 还有一封更有趣。 – 你是怎么弄到这些信的? |
[1:34:15] | What’s the difference so long as she gets what’s coming? | 这有什么要紧呢? 反正让她遭了报应就行了。 |
[1:34:18] | – What have you got against her? – Ha! | – 你为什么要跟她作对? – 嗐! |
[1:34:21] | I’ll give you something to dream about, mister. | 来看一眼吧,你会 做好梦的,先生。 |
[1:34:26] | Want to kiss me, ducky? | 想吻我吗,宝贝儿? |
[1:34:32] | Ha! | 嗐! |
[1:34:33] | – I didn’t suppose you would. – Christine Vole did that to you? | – 料你们也不会。 – 是克莉丝汀·沃尔干的? |
[1:34:37] | Not ‘er, the chap I was going with. He was a bit younger than me but I loved ‘im. | 不是她,是我原来的相好。 他比我小一点,但是我爱他。 |
[1:34:42] | Then she come along, started seeing ‘im on the sly. Then one day he cleared out. | 然后她横插一杠,开始跟他幽会。 然后有一天他就不告而别。 |
[1:34:47] | I found ’em together. I said what I thought of ‘er and he cut me face up proper. | 我找到了他们俩,我跟她说了 她是什么货色,然后他就把我砍成这样。 |
[1:34:53] | – Did you go to the police about it? – Who, me? Not likely. | – 你去找警察了吗? – 谁?我?不可能。 |
[1:34:57] | It wasn’t ‘is fault. It was all ‘ers, gettin’ ‘im away from me, turnin’ ‘im against me. | 这不是他的错。都是那个女人的错。 都是那个女人把他抢走、让他对我反戈相向。 |
[1:35:03] | But I waited me time to pay ‘er back. And it’s come now. | 但是我会等待时机,让她付出代价。 现在时机来了。 |
[1:35:08] | I’m deeply sorry, deeply sorry. We’ll make it another L5 for the letters. | 我非常遗憾,非常遗憾。 我们再给你5英镑。 |
[1:35:13] | ‘Olding out on me, were yer? I knew I was being soft with yer. | 对我很慷慨啊,是不是? 我知道,我对你们挺温柔的。 |
[1:35:18] | Cold-blooded vindictiveness. Read this one. | 真是冷血的报复。 看看这封。 |
[1:35:23] | Unbelievable. | 难以置信。 |
[1:35:26] | We’d better have the full name of the man to whom these were addressed, Miss… | 我们最好弄到这个男人 的全名和住址,小姐…… |
[1:35:31] | Miss, um… | 小姐,嗯…… |
[1:35:33] | Where is she? | 她哪儿去了? |
[1:35:41] | On that train, I should think. Doesn’t want her other cheek slashed. Can’t blame her. | 我想应该是上了那列火车。她不希望 另一边脸颊也被砍烂。也难怪她。 |
[1:35:49] | – Care for another, sir? – Hm? | – 再来一杯吗,先生? – 嗯? |
[1:35:51] | Good idea. | 好主意。 |
[1:36:02] | Silence! | 肃静! |
[1:36:04] | Be upstanding in court. | 出庭人等全体起立。 |
[1:36:07] | All persons who have anything to do before my lords, | 为在女王座前伸张正义,伦敦中央刑事法庭 谨享有审理、判决和收监的权限, 所有相关人等请准时出庭。 天佑女王。 |
[1:36:10] | the queen’s justices of oyer and terminer | |
[1:36:12] | and general jail delivery for the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court, | |
[1:36:16] | draw near and give your attendance. God save the queen. | |
[1:36:34] | Since the defence has called but one witness, the prisoner, | 鉴于辩方只传唤了 一名证人,即犯人本人, |
[1:36:38] | it has the right to be heard last. | 因此辩方享有 最后陈述的权利。 |
[1:36:40] | Mr Myers, if you are ready, let us have the final address for the prosecution. | 所以,梅耶斯先生,如果准备好了, 请你开始发表控方的结案陈词。 |
[1:36:47] | My lord, members of the jury, I will be brief in my final speech | 法官大人,各位陪审员, 我的结案陈词将很简短, |
[1:36:51] | because I think we’ve proved so obvious a case of murder against Leonard Vole, | 因为我认为我们已经很清楚地 论证了对伦纳德·沃尔的谋杀指控, |
[1:36:56] | that a verdict of guilty must be the only possible conclusion. | 有罪的裁决 将是唯一的选择。 |
[1:37:00] | I will briefly summarise these facts… | 我将简单扼要地 总结一下事实…… |
[1:37:09] | You’d better begin again, Mr Myers. | 你最好从头开始,梅耶斯先生。 |
[1:37:12] | That is, if Sir Wilfrid is at all interested in our proceedings. | 如果威尔弗莱德爵士 对此特别感兴趣的话。 |
[1:37:17] | I am, indeed, my lord. The speech for the crown, however, is premature. | 我很感兴趣,法官大人。 但是,现在进行结案陈词未免为时过早。 |
[1:37:21] | I ask that the case for the defence be reopened. And that a witness be recalled. | 我请求重新回到辩方传讯阶段, 并重新传唤一名证人。 |
[1:37:26] | I most strenuously object to the case being reopened at this final stage. | 法官大人,辩方在这最后时刻要求 回到传讯阶段,对此我强烈反对。 |
[1:37:30] | Evidence of a startling nature has come into my possession. | 我方最新掌握了 令人吃惊的证据。 |
[1:37:34] | The course my learned friend proposes is quite unprecedented. | 我博学的朋友所要求 的程序是前所未有的。 |
[1:37:37] | I have anticipated this objection and can meet it with ample precedent. | 我预料到会有这样的反对, 因此我已经查阅到足够多的先例。 |
[1:37:41] | There is the king vs Stillman, reported in the criminal appeal reports of 1926 | 首先是斯蒂尔曼公诉案, 见1926年《刑事上诉判例汇编》第463页。 |
[1:37:47] | at page 463. | |
[1:37:50] | Also, the king vs Porter in volume one of the king’s bench division reports, | 然后,是波特公诉案, 见1942年《王座法庭判例汇编》第153页。 |
[1:37:54] | 1942 at page 153. | |
[1:37:58] | And lastly there is the case of the king vs Sullivan | 最后一个是沙利文公诉案, |
[1:38:01] | in which this issue was raised, which I’m sure Your Lordship will remember, | 也发生了同样的情形, 我相信法官大人应该记忆犹新, |
[1:38:05] | since you appeared for the prosecution. | 因为您当时是控方律师。 |
[1:38:08] | I did? Oh, yes, before Mr Justice Swindon. | 是吗?哦,对, 主审是斯温顿法官先生。 |
[1:38:12] | What is this new evidence, Sir Wilfrid? | 这个新证据是什么, 威尔弗莱德爵士? |
[1:38:15] | Letters, my lord. | 是信件,法官大人。 |
[1:38:17] | Letters written by Christine Helm. | 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆 的亲笔信件。 |
[1:38:22] | My lord, the prosecution continues its objection. | 法官大人,控方 继续提出反对。 |
[1:38:26] | If my memory serves me well, Your Lordship’s similar objection | 根据我的记忆, 您在沙利文公诉案中 |
[1:38:30] | in the king against Sullivan was sustained. | 提出的类似反对 被法官大人接纳了。 |
[1:38:35] | Your memory, for once, serves you ill, Mr Myers. | 这一次,你的记忆 错了,梅耶斯先生。 |
[1:38:39] | My objection then was overruled by Mr Justice Swindon. | 我的反对被斯温顿 法官先生驳回了。 |
[1:38:44] | As yours is now, by me. | 而你的反对 现在被我驳回。 |
[1:38:53] | Call Christine Helm. | 传克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。 |
[1:38:56] | Christine Helm. | 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。 |
[1:38:58] | – Christine Helm. | – Christine Helm. – 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。 – 克莉丝汀·赫尔姆。 |
[1:39:18] | If you still have doubts about Mr Vole, I wouldn’t mind betting you a box of cigars. | 如果你现在还怀疑沃尔先生, 我愿意跟你赌一小盒雪茄。 |
[1:39:23] | Mrs Helm, you appreciate you are still under oath? | 赫尔姆太太,你是否清楚, 你现在仍需谨遵誓言? |
[1:39:27] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[1:39:28] | – Do you know a man named Max? – I don’t know what you mean. | – 你认不认识一个叫马克斯的人? – 我不明白你的意思。 |
[1:39:34] | It’s a simple question. Do you or do you not know a man called Max? | 这是个很简单的问题。 你是否认识一个叫马克斯的人? |
[1:39:38] | Max? Certainly not. | 马克斯?应该不认识。 |
[1:39:41] | It’s a fairly common name and yet you’ve never known a man named Max? | 这是个很普通的名字,难道叫 马克斯的人你一个也不认识? |
[1:39:45] | In Germany, perhaps, but a long time ago. | 在德国也许认识, 不过那是很久以前的事了。 |
[1:39:47] | I shall not ask you to go back that far. Just a few weeks, to… October 20 last. | 我不要你回忆那么久以前的事。 几星期前就够了……今年10月20日。 |
[1:39:56] | – What have you got there? – A letter. | – 你手里是什么? – 一封信。 |
[1:39:59] | I suggest that on October 20 | 我想,10月20日那天, |
[1:40:01] | – you wrote a letter… – I don’t know what you’re talking about. | – 你写了一封信…… – 我不知道你在说什么。 |
[1:40:05] | …addressed to a man named Max. – I did nothing of the sort. | ……给一个叫做马克斯的男人。 – 我没做过这种事。 |
[1:40:08] | The letter was but one of a series written to the same man. | 这只是你写给这个 男人的一系列信件中的一封。 |
[1:40:13] | Lies! All lies! | 谎言!一派谎言! |
[1:40:15] | You seem to have been, well, let us say, on intimate terms with this man. | 你似乎,嗯,这么说吧, 你似乎与那个男人关系亲密。 |
[1:40:20] | How dare you say a thing like that? It isn’t true! | 你怎么敢说出这种话! 这不是真的! |
[1:40:23] | I’m not concerned with the general trend of this correspondence, only one letter. | 我对这些信件所表明的 关系不感兴趣,但有一封信不同。 |
[1:40:28] | “My beloved Max, an extraordinary thing has happened.” | “我心爱的马克斯, 发生了一件绝妙的事。 |
[1:40:33] | “I believe all our difficulties may be ended.” | “我相信我们的难题 就要迎刃而解了。” |
[1:40:36] | I will not stand here and listen to a pack of lies! | 我不准备站在这里 听你的谎话连篇! |
[1:40:39] | That letter’s a forgery. It isn’t even my letter paper! | 这封信是伪造的。 这根本不是我的信纸! |
[1:40:43] | – It isn’t? – No! | – 不是吗? – 不是! |
[1:40:45] | I write my letters on small blue paper with my initials on it. | 我的信都是写在蓝色 小信纸上的,信纸上有我的姓名缩写。 |
[1:40:53] | Like this? | 就像这些? |
[1:40:57] | This is a bill from my tailor for a pair of extremely becoming Bermuda shorts. | 这张是我的裁缝为我 做百慕大短裤的账单。 |
[1:41:04] | Wilfrid the fox! That’s what we call him and that’s what he is. | 老狐狸威尔弗莱德! 我们就这么叫他,真是恰如其分。 |
[1:41:09] | Now, Mrs Helm, you’ve been kind enough to identify your letter paper. | 好,赫尔姆太太,感谢你 费心为我们辨认出你的信纸。 |
[1:41:13] | Now, if you like, I can have an expert identify your handwriting. | 现在,如果需要的话,我可以 请一位专家来鉴定你的笔迹。 |
[1:41:18] | Damn you! | 你见鬼! |
[1:41:21] | – Damn you! – Leave her alone! | – 你见鬼! – 别招惹她! |
[1:41:24] | – Damn you! – Mrs Helm! | – 你见鬼! – 赫尔姆太太! |
[1:41:26] | Let me go! Let me get out of here! Let me go! | 让我走! 让我离开这儿!让我走! |
[1:41:30] | – Mrs Helm! – Let me go! | – 赫尔姆太太! – 让我走! |
[1:41:31] | Usher, get the witness a chair. | 庭警,请给证人一把椅子。 |
[1:41:40] | Sir Wilfrid, will you now read the letter in question so that the jury may hear it? | 威尔弗莱德爵士,你现在能不能 向陪审团宣读一下你提到的那封信? |
[1:41:51] | “My beloved Max, an extraordinary thing has happened.” | “我心爱的马克斯, 发生了一件奇妙的事。 |
[1:41:57] | “All our difficulties may soon be solved.” | “我们的难题就 要迎刃而解了。 |
[1:42:01] | “Leonard is suspected of murdering the old lady I told you about.” | “伦纳德涉嫌杀害了 我跟你说过的那个老太太。 |
[1:42:06] | “His only hope of an alibi depends on me and me alone.” | “由我为他提供不在场证明, 是他现在的指望- 唯一的指望。 |
[1:42:13] | “Suppose I testify that he was not at home with me at the time of the murder, | “想想吧,我可以作证说案发 当时他并不在家, |
[1:42:19] | that he came home with blood on his sleeves, | “而且回家的时候 袖子上有血迹, |
[1:42:23] | and that he even admitted to me that he’d killed her?” | “并亲口向我承认 他杀了老太太。 |
[1:42:27] | “Strange that he always said he would never let me leave him.” | “真是奇怪,他总说 我决不能离他而去。 |
[1:42:31] | “But now, if this succeeds, he will be leaving me | “可是现在如果能成功的话, 他就会离我而去, |
[1:42:35] | because they will take him away forever | “因为他们会让他 永远一去不回。 |
[1:42:39] | and I shall be free and yours, my beloved.” | “而我就自由了,我将 成为你的人,亲爱的。 |
[1:42:43] | “I count the hours until we are together. Christine.” | “我时刻盼望着我们 相聚的那一天。克莉丝汀。” |
[1:42:51] | Mrs Helm? Will you go back to the witness box? | 赫尔姆太太? 请你回证人席好吗? |
[1:43:05] | I now ask you again, Christine Helm, did you write this letter? | 我再问你一遍,克莉丝汀·赫尔姆, 这些信是你写的吗? |
[1:43:11] | Christine, tell him you didn’t write it. I know you didn’t. | 克莉丝汀,告诉他这不是你写的。 我知道这不是你写的。 |
[1:43:14] | Please answer my question. Did you write this letter? | 请回答我的问题。 这些信是你写的吗? |
[1:43:18] | Before answering, Mrs Helm, | 在回答问题之前,赫尔姆太太, |
[1:43:20] | I wish to warn you that the law regarding perjury in this country is very severe. | 我想先警告你,在我们国家 对于伪证罪的处罚是很严厉的。 |
[1:43:26] | If you have already committed perjury in this courtroom, | 如果你已经在法庭上 犯下了伪证罪, |
[1:43:30] | I strongly advise you not to add to your crime. | 我强烈建议你 不要罪上加罪。 |
[1:43:33] | But, if this letter has not been written by you, | 不过,如果这些信 确实不是你写的, |
[1:43:37] | then now is the time to state this fact. | 现在你也应该予以澄清。 |
[1:43:43] | I wrote the letter. | 信是我写的。 |
[1:43:48] | And that, my lord, is the case for the defence. | 法官大人, 辩方传讯到此为止。 |
[1:44:00] | I keep asking which is harder, your head or your arteries? | 我一直在问自己,爵士,究竟是 你的脑袋更硬,还是你的动脉更硬? |
[1:44:03] | Stop pressing your luck, you’re overdue. | 你别再撞大运了, 你已经透支了。 |
[1:44:06] | We’re all packed and ready. I hope the jury won’t take all afternoon. | 咱们的行李都收拾好了。 希望陪审团别耗上一下午。 |
[1:44:10] | I concede. | 我任你们摆布了。 |
[1:44:11] | – Congratulations, here are your cigars. – Not yet. | – 祝贺你,你的雪茄。 – 还不是时候。 |
[1:44:15] | Come on, it’s all over, wrapped up neat and tidy. | 好啦,都铁定了, 干得妥贴又漂亮。 |
[1:44:18] | – What’s wrong? – It’s a little too neat, too tidy, | – 有什么不对吗? – 有点过于妥贴、过于漂亮了, |
[1:44:22] | and altogether too symmetrical, that’s what’s wrong with it. | 总的来看是过于顺利了, 所以看起来不对劲。 |
[1:44:26] | – The jury is back. – You’re not worried about the verdict? | – 陪审团回来了。 – 你不是在担心判决吧? |
[1:44:29] | It’s not their judgment that worries me, it’s mine. | 让我担心的不是 他们的判断,而是我自己的。 |
[1:44:34] | Come along. | 走吧。 |
[1:44:37] | Where’s my wig? | 我的假发呢? |
[1:45:08] | The prisoner will stand up. | 犯人请起立。 |
[1:45:13] | Members of the jury, are you all agreed upon your verdict? | 各位陪审员, 你们是否作出了一致的裁决? |
[1:45:19] | We are. | 是的。 |
[1:45:21] | Do you find the prisoner at the bar, Leonard Stephen Vole, | 关于埃米莉·简·弗伦奇谋杀案, 你们裁定伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔有罪还是无罪。 |
[1:45:25] | guilty or not guilty of the murder of Emily Jane French? | |
[1:45:33] | Not guilty, m’lord. | 无罪,法官大人。 |
[1:45:55] | Silence! | 肃静! |
[1:45:56] | Silence! | 肃静! |
[1:46:01] | Leonard Stephen Vole, you have been found not guilty | 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔, 关于埃米莉·简·弗伦奇 |
[1:46:05] | of the murder of Emily Jane French on October 14. | 于10月14日被杀一案, 你被裁定无罪。 |
[1:46:10] | You are hereby discharged and are free to leave the court. | 你现在被当庭释放, 可以离开了。 |
[1:46:25] | Persons with anything more to do before the queen’s justices | 为在女王座前伸张正义,伦敦中央刑事法庭 谨享有审理、判决和收监的权限, 所有相关人等现请退庭。 |
[1:46:29] | of oyer and terminer and jail delivery | |
[1:46:31] | for the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court may depart the area. | |
[1:46:45] | Thank you. Yes, we’ll talk later. Thank you, Mr Mayhew. | 多谢。好的,我们以后再谈。 谢谢您,梅休先生。 |
[1:46:48] | Thank you, Mr Brogan-Moore. Carter. | 谢谢您,布洛根-摩尔先生。卡特。 |
[1:46:51] | Thank you, Sir Wilfrid, for everything. You were wonderful. | 谢谢您,威尔弗莱德爵士, 感谢您做的一切。您真是太杰出了。 |
[1:46:55] | – I’d say we were lucky all around. – Yeah. | – 不得不说,我们非常走运。 – 是啊。谢谢。 |
[1:46:59] | I have your belongings. Sign the receipt, Mr Vole, and we can release you. | 我整理好了你的财物,请你去签收, 沃尔先生,然后我们就可以释放你了。 |
[1:47:03] | “Mr Vole.” They didn’t call me Mr when they charged me. | “沃尔先生”,他们逮捕 我的时候可没喊我先生。 |
[1:47:06] | – I’ll go with you, I have your hat and coat. – Let’s go before they change their mind! | – 我跟你一起去,你的帽子和外衣在我那儿。 – 在他们改变主意之前,我们快走吧! |
[1:47:20] | Chipper, isn’t he? An hour ago, he had one foot on the gallows | 乐坏了,是不是?一小时前 他的一只脚还踏在绞刑架上, |
[1:47:24] | and the other on a banana peel. | 另一只脚踩着香蕉皮。 |
[1:47:26] | You ought to be very proud, Wilfrid. Aren’t you? | 你应该为此骄傲, 威尔弗莱德爵士。是不是? |
[1:47:29] | Not yet. We’ve disposed of the gallows, | 还没到时候。 我们搞定了绞刑架, |
[1:47:33] | but there’s still that banana peel somewhere, under somebody’s foot. | 可是香蕉皮还是落在 什么地方,被某些人踩在脚下。 |
[1:47:50] | – Every word you said was a lie! – You ought to be locked up! Liar! | – 你说的每个字都是谎言! – 你应该被关起来!骗子! |
[1:47:55] | You’d better wait here until we get rid of that crowd, madam. | 你最好在这儿稍候, 等我们把人群驱散以后再走,女士。 |
[1:47:58] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[1:48:04] | Ready, sir? Miss Plimsoll will be waiting. | 好了吗,先生? 普利姆索尔小姐还等着呢。 |
[1:48:08] | Let me finish the last of the cocoa while I’m still beyond her jurisdiction. | 趁我还没回到她的管制之下, 让我再来一点可可。 |
[1:48:13] | Would you excuse me, Brogan-Moore, Carter? Thank you. | 你们先走好吗, 布洛根-摩尔,卡特?谢谢。 |
[1:48:45] | I never thought you British could get so emotional. Especially in public. | 我真不知道,原来你们英国人 那么情绪化,尤其是在公众场合。 |
[1:48:49] | – I apologise for my compatriots. – It’s all right. | – 我为我的同胞向你道歉。 – 没什么。 |
[1:48:52] | I don’t mind being called names or pushed around or even kicked in the shin. | 我不介意他们喊叫我的名字, 把我推来推去,或者踢我的小腿。 |
[1:48:56] | But I have a ladder in my last pair of nylons. | 可是我最后一双尼龙袜 也被他们弄得抽丝了。 |
[1:48:58] | In case you are not familiar with our prison regulations, no silk stockings. | 显然你对我们国家监狱的规定 不太熟悉。狱中不能穿丝袜。 |
[1:49:03] | Prison? Will I go to prison? | 监狱?我会进监狱吗? |
[1:49:05] | You heard the judge. You will certainly be charged with perjury, | 你听到法官的话了, 你肯定会因伪证罪被起诉, |
[1:49:09] | – tried for it, and to prison you shall go. – Well, it won’t be for life, will it? | – 被审判,并且被判入狱。 – 好啊,那也不会是一辈子吧,是不是? |
[1:49:13] | If I were appearing for the prosecution, it would be. | 如果我是控方律师, 那就会是一辈子。 |
[1:49:17] | You loathe me, don’t you? Like the people outside. | 你憎恨我,对吗? 就跟外面那些人一样。 |
[1:49:21] | What a wicked woman I am, and how brilliantly you exposed me | 我是个多么邪恶的女人, 而你是多么出色地揭露了我, |
[1:49:24] | and saved Leonard’s life. The great Sir Wilfrid Robarts did it again. | 并且拯救了伦纳德。伟大的 威尔弗莱德·罗巴茨爵士又一次成功了。 |
[1:49:29] | Well, let me tell you something. You didn’t do it alone. You had help. | 好啦,让我告诉你一些事吧。 你并不是单枪匹马的,有人帮了你。 |
[1:49:36] | What are you driving at? | 你在影射什么? |
[1:49:38] | I’m not driving at anything. Leonard is free and we did it. | 我没有影射什么。 伦纳德现在自由了,是我们俩的功劳。 |
[1:49:41] | – We? – Remember? | – 我们? – 不记得了? |
[1:49:42] | When you said that no jury would believe an alibi given by a loving wife, | 你说过,陪审团不会相信一个 深爱丈夫的妻子提供的不在场证明, |
[1:49:46] | no matter how much she swore he was innocent? That gave me the idea. | 不管她如何赌咒发誓说他是 无辜的都没用。你的话给了我灵感。 |
[1:49:50] | What idea? | 什么灵感? |
[1:49:52] | The idea that I should be a witness, not for my husband, but for the prosecution. | 灵感就是:我不该为 我丈夫作证,而应该为控方作证。 |
[1:49:57] | That I should swear Leonard was guilty and that you should expose me as a liar | 我应该赌咒发誓说伦纳德是有罪的, 然后由你来揭露说我是一个骗子, |
[1:50:01] | because only then would they believe Leonard was innocent. | 只有这样,他们才会 相信伦纳德是无辜的。 |
[1:50:05] | So now you know the whole story, Sir Wilfrid. | 现在你已经知道了一切, 威尔弗莱德爵士。 |
[1:50:14] | I’ll give yer something to dream about, mister. | 来看一眼吧, 你会做好梦的,先生。 |
[1:50:18] | Want to kiss me, ducky? | 想吻我吗,宝贝儿? |
[1:50:25] | I suspected something, but not that. | 我也怀疑过不对劲, 但没想到竟是这样。 |
[1:50:29] | – Never that! – Thank you for the compliment. | – 绝对没想到! – 感谢你的恭维。 |
[1:50:32] | It’s been a long time since I acted and I never played such a vital role. | 我已经很久没有演戏了, 而且我从没演过这样性命攸关的角色。 可是那些情书呢! |
[1:50:36] | All those blue letters! | |
[1:50:39] | It took me hours to write them, to invent Max. There never was a Max. | 写这些信花了我几个小时, 写给那个无中生有的马克斯。 |
[1:50:43] | There’s never been anyone but Leonard. | 我只有伦纳德, 没有别人,从来没有。 |
[1:50:45] | My dear, could you not have trusted me, | 天哪,你怎么 可以不信任我? |
[1:50:48] | worked with me truthfully and honourably? We would have won. | 用我诚实体面的方法, 也完全可以赢。 |
[1:50:52] | I could not run that risk. You thought he was innocent. | 我不能冒险。 你认为他是无辜的。 |
[1:50:55] | And you knew he was innocent. I understand. | 你知道他是无辜的。 我明白。 |
[1:50:58] | No, Sir Wilfrid, you do not understand at all. | 不,威尔弗莱德爵士, 你根本没明白。 |
[1:51:02] | I knew he was guilty. | 我知道他是有罪的。 |
[1:51:08] | That can’t be true! No! | 这不可能!不! |
[1:51:12] | Listen to me, once and for all. | 听着,我只说一遍。 |
[1:51:14] | He came home after ten, he had blood on his sleeves, | 伦纳德是22:10到家的, 袖子上沾了血迹, |
[1:51:17] | he said he had killed the woman, only I could save him. He pleaded. | 他说他杀死了那个女人, 说只有我能救他,他恳求我。 |
[1:51:21] | And you saved him? A murderer? | 于是你救了他? 一个杀人犯? |
[1:51:24] | Again, you don’t understand. | 你还是没明白。 |
[1:51:26] | I love him. | 我爱他。 |
[1:51:34] | I told you she was an actress. And a good one. | 我跟你说过她是个 演员,一个好演员。 |
[1:51:37] | Leonard! | 伦纳德! |
[1:51:38] | I knew she’d do something, but I just didn’t know what or how. | 我知道她会帮我的, 不过我也不知道她会怎么做。 |
[1:51:42] | Leonard, Leonard. | 伦纳德,伦纳德。 |
[1:51:46] | – Fooled you completely, didn’t she? – It was you, Vole, who fooled me. | – 她完全骗过了你,是不是? – 骗过我的人是你,沃尔。 |
[1:51:51] | Oh, easy. Easy. We both got out of this alive, let’s stay this way. | 哦,悠着点,悠着点。 我们都活着捱到了案子结束,要保持啊。 |
[1:51:57] | – Where are your pills? – You’ve made a mockery of English law. | – 你的药片在哪儿? – 你愚弄了英国法律。 |
[1:52:01] | Who did? You got me off and I can’t be tried again for this. | 是谁愚弄的?是你帮助我脱罪的, 现在我再也不会因此案受审了。 |
[1:52:04] | – That’s English law too, isn’t it? – You can’t touch him now. Nobody can. | – 这也是英国法律,不是吗? – 你不能再碰他了,谁也不能。 |
[1:52:09] | The scales of justice may tip one way or another, | 正义的天平 也许偶有偏差, |
[1:52:12] | but ultimately they balance out. You’ll pay for this. | 但终将回归正义。 你会付出代价的。 |
[1:52:15] | Ultimately’s a long way off. I’d rather pay for it as soon as possible and in cash. | “终将”还早着呢。我宁可 早点付出代价,越快越好,用现金。 |
[1:52:19] | Suppose we double your fee? There’ll be lots of money once the will goes through. | 付你双倍律师费怎么样? 等遗嘱执行以后,我会得到一大笔钱。 |
[1:52:24] | I’m not cheap, I want everybody to get something out of it. | 我不再是一钱不值了, 我会让每个人都得到补偿。 |
[1:52:27] | There’s Janet McKenzie. We’ll get her that new hearing aid. | 那个珍妮特·麦肯锡, 她的新助听器就让我们来买吧。 |
[1:52:31] | And we’ll get you a new one of these. 18-carat gold if they make them. | 这也给你做一个新的, 如果做得出来,就用18K金做。 |
[1:52:36] | And when they try you for perjury there’ll be L5,000 for the defence. | 他们以伪证罪起诉你的话, 我会出五千英镑为你请辩护律师。 |
[1:52:40] | I don’t care, just so we’ll be together. You don’t know what I’ve been through. | 我不在乎,伦纳德,反正我们总能在一起的。 你不知道我都是如何忍受折磨的。 |
[1:52:45] | Standing in the witness box, having to face you, saying I never loved you. | 不得不站在被告席上, 面对着你,说我从来没爱过你。 |
[1:52:50] | What is it, Leonard? | 怎么了,伦纳德? |
[1:52:51] | The luggage is in the car and we’ve only 20 minutes to catch the boat train. | 威尔弗莱德爵士,行李已经放在车上了, 还有20分钟去码头的火车就要发车了。 |
[1:52:55] | This is a nice young lady I met during the trial. | 这个好心的姑娘 是我在旁听席上认识的。 |
[1:52:58] | Len! | 伦! |
[1:52:59] | Oh, Len! | 哦,伦! |
[1:53:01] | Len… | 伦…… |
[1:53:04] | Oh, Len, they’ve been trying to keep me away. It’s had me nearly crazy. | 哦,伦,他们还不想 让我进来。我都快疯了。 |
[1:53:08] | Leonard, who’s this girl? | 伦纳德,这个姑娘是谁? |
[1:53:11] | I’m not this girl, I’m his girl. | 我不是“这个姑娘”, 我是他的姑娘。 |
[1:53:14] | Tell her, Len. | 告诉她,伦。 |
[1:53:15] | Leonard, is this the girl who was with you in the travel bureau? | 伦纳德,这就是跟你一起 去旅行社的那个姑娘对吗? |
[1:53:19] | The girl you said you hardly knew, didn’t even know her name? | 你说你都不怎么认识她, 连她叫什么名字都不知道? |
[1:53:22] | That’s right. That’s who I am and I know all about you. You’re not his wife. | 没错,就是我。你的事儿 我全知道,你不是他的妻子。 |
[1:53:27] | Never have been. You’re years older than he is. We’ve been together for months | 从来都不是。你比他大好几岁。 我们俩在一起已经好几个月了, |
[1:53:32] | and we’re going away on a cruise, just like they said in court. Tell her, Len. | 我们还要一起出国旅游,就像他们 在法庭上说过的那样。你自己告诉她,伦。 |
[1:53:38] | – Yes, Len, tell me yourself. – All right, Diana, come along. | – 对,伦,你自己告诉我。 – 好的,戴安娜,来吧。 |
[1:53:43] | You can’t, not after what I’ve done. I won’t let you. | 你不能这样,伦纳德,我为你 做了那么多。我不允许。 |
[1:53:46] | I saved your life getting you out of Germany, | 哦,真荒谬。 我救了你的命, 让你逃离了德国, |
[1:53:49] | you got me out of this mess, so we’re even. It’s over now. | 你救了我的命, 让我逃离了这场麻烦。 我们扯平了, 就此了结。 |
[1:53:52] | Don’t, Leonard! Don’t leave me! Don’t, Leonard! Don’t! | 不要,伦纳德!别离开我! 不要,伦纳德!不要! |
[1:53:57] | Pull yourself together. They’ll have you up for perjury. | 你冷静一点。 他们会以伪证罪起诉你, |
[1:54:00] | Don’t make it worse or they’ll try you as an accessory. | 你别搞砸了, 否则他们会以事后从犯罪起诉你。 |
[1:54:04] | And you know what that means. | 你知道那意味着什么。 |
[1:54:07] | I don’t care. Let them. Let them try me for perjury, or an accessory, or… | 我不在乎,随他们怎样。让他们以 伪证罪起诉我吧,或者事后从犯罪,或者…… |
[1:54:13] | – Ready? – Or better yet… | – 好了吗? – 或者干脆…… |
[1:54:15] | let them try me for…! | 让他们以这个罪名起诉我……! |
[1:54:17] | Argh! | 啊! (这是好莱坞影星泰隆·鲍华的完成的 最后一部电影,1958年他在片场死于心脏病) |
[1:54:41] | – Call a doctor. – It’s no use. No doctor can help now. | – 快去找医生。 – 没用了,找什么医生都没用了。 |
[1:54:46] | – What happened? – She killed him. | – 这是怎么了? – 她杀了他。 |
[1:54:49] | Killed him? | 杀了他?不。 |
[1:54:51] | She executed him. | 她处决了他。 |
[1:54:55] | Carter, what have you done with the luggage? | 卡特,你把行李 弄哪儿去了? |
[1:54:58] | I sent it on ahead to the station, and I’ve got a cab waiting outside. | 我安排送火车站了, 我还叫了一辆出租车等在外面。 (德国女星玛琳·黛德丽, 影片发行当年已满56岁) |
[1:55:10] | – A remarkable woman. – You can just barely catch the boat train. | – 一个不同寻常的女人。 – 您现在刚好还能赶上去码头的火车,爵士。 |
[1:55:14] | Better bring the luggage back, and you can dismiss the cab. | 你最好把行李弄回来, 出租车也退了吧。 |
[1:55:18] | We are not going yet, are we? | 我们暂时不去了,对吗? |
[1:55:23] | Thank you, Miss Plimsoll. | 谢谢你,普利姆索尔小姐。 |
[1:55:26] | Get Brogan-Moore to my chambers, and Mayhew too. | 叫布洛根-摩尔来我办公室, 还有梅休。 |
[1:55:29] | We’re appearing for the defence in the trial of Christine Vole. | 我们要为克莉丝汀·沃尔辩护。 |
[1:55:34] | Sir Wilfrid? | 威尔弗莱德爵士? |
[1:55:36] | You’ve forgotten your brandy. | 你忘了你的白兰地。 (“爵士”和“护士”是生活中的夫妻, 双双因此片获得奥斯卡提名。 “护士”还赢得了金球奖最佳女配角奖) ~ 剧终 ~ |