英文名称:The Theory of Everything
年代:2014
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:16] | Well, come on! | 快点 |
[01:19] | Come on, old man. | 快点 老头子 |
[01:21] | Coming into Trinity Lane! | 进入三一路 |
[01:26] | Eyes on the road, Brian. | 看着点路 布莱恩 |
[01:31] | Brian spies an opening! | 布莱恩找到了空隙 |
[01:34] | Eyes on the staff! | 看着点 |
[01:36] | Hawking’s lost it! | 霍金要输了 |
[01:43] | No! | 不要 |
[01:44] | You lose, Brian. | 你输了 布莱恩 |
[01:52] | Too slow, old man. | 太慢了 老头子 |
[01:54] | Too slow. | 太慢了 |
[01:56] | Oh, my goodness. Right. | 我的天哪 |
[01:58] | Time for a drink, yeah. Hello. | 该喝酒了 你好啊 |
[02:07] | What if the secret of the universe has something to do with sex. | 要是宇宙的奥秘跟性有关 |
[02:10] | Maybe do your doctorate on that? The physics of love. | 你博士论文就写这个吧 爱之物理学 |
[02:13] | – I think that’s more your field, Brian. – Not lately. | -那是你的研究领域吧 -最近没怎么研究了 |
[02:16] | They will boot you out, you know, if you don’t decide. | 你要是再定不下来 就要被请出去了 |
[02:19] | I know everybody here who’s… brilliant. | 我认识这里所有的…棒极了 |
[02:23] | Oh, dear, scientists! | 居然是科学家们 |
[02:29] | Don’t worry, we don’t have to stay long… | 别担心 不会待太久的 |
[02:31] | looks mortifyingly dull. | 简直无聊到死 |
[02:38] | – Bores. – Who’s that? | -没劲 -那是谁 |
[02:40] | Who’s who? Oh, him? | 哪个 他吗 |
[02:44] | He’s strange, clever, goes to “Ban the Bomb” marches. | 他挺怪的 也挺聪明 去了抗议核游行[1960年代] |
[02:50] | Wilde. Jane Wilde. | 王尔德 简·王尔德 |
[02:54] | Oh, there’s David… David? | 大卫在那 大卫 |
[02:55] | – I’ll be back in a minute. I’ll be back in a second. – Diana! Diana! | -我马上回来 马上回来 -戴安娜 |
[03:14] | – Hello. – Hello. | -你好 -你好 |
[03:16] | – Science? – Arts. | -理学吗 -文学 |
[03:19] | – English. – French and Spanish. | -英语 -法语及西班牙语 |
[03:23] | What about you? What are you? | 那你呢 你学什么的 |
[03:26] | – Cosmologist, I’m a cosmologist. – What’s that? | -宇宙学家 我是个宇宙学家 -那是什么 |
[03:30] | It’s a kind of religion for | 就是特别聪明的 不信上帝的人 |
[03:32] | – intelligent atheists. – Intelligent atheists? | -信的宗教 -聪明的不信上帝的 |
[03:36] | You’re not religious, are you? | 你不信教吧 |
[03:37] | C Of E. | 国教 |
[03:42] | – Church of England. – England, yes. | -就是英国国教[圣公会] -是啊 |
[03:46] | I suppose someone has to be. | 总得有个信教的 |
[03:48] | So, what do cosmologists worship then? | 那宇宙学家信奉什么呢 |
[03:51] | What do we worship? | 信奉什么 |
[03:53] | One single unifying equation | 用一个统一的方程 |
[03:54] | that explains everything in the universe. | 来解释宇宙万物 |
[03:57] | – Really. – Yes. | -是吗 -是 |
[03:58] | What’s the equation? | 是什么方程 |
[04:00] | That is the question. | 问题就在这 |
[04:03] | And a very good question. I’m not quite sure yet. | 这个问题非常好 我还不清楚 |
[04:08] | But I intend to find out. | 但我想研究出来 |
[04:17] | Then why didn’t you stay at Oxford? | 那你为什么不留在牛津 |
[04:19] | Because my finals exams were such a shambles | 因为我的期末考试考得一塌糊涂 |
[04:21] | that the examiners they settled me in for a “Viva”, | 他们叫我参加个口试 |
[04:25] | – And they told me that if I go up a second… – What’s a “Viva”? | -他们说如果我拿到二等 -口试是什么 |
[04:28] | It’s a sort of, mildly terrifying face-to-face thingy. | 有点恐怖 跟人面对面坐下来什么的 |
[04:31] | – Like an interview? – An interrogation. | -面试吗 -审讯吧 |
[04:34] | And I told them that if they gave me a 2nd class degree | 我告诉他们 如果给我二等学位[参考片尾注释] |
[04:37] | then I’d stay with them and do my research at Oxford, | 我就得留在牛津做研究 |
[04:39] | but if they gave me the 1st, I needed to get into Cambridge, | 如果给我一等学位 我就能去剑桥了 |
[04:42] | then they would never have to see me again. | 他们就能永远甩掉我了 |
[04:46] | They gave you the 1st. | 所以他们给了你一等 |
[04:48] | They gave me the 1st. | 没错 |
[04:49] | – Of course. – This party is officially deceased. | -是啊 -派对已经正式结束了 |
[04:54] | Come on, I’ve fixed you up a ride home. | 来吧 我找辆车送你回家 |
[04:57] | Come on, Jane… | 走啊 简 |
[05:01] | Jane? | 简 |
[05:02] | – Well, it was lovely to talk to you. – Yes. | -跟你聊天很开心 -我也是 |
[05:06] | And… I hope you find your equation. | 还有 希望你能找到那个方程 |
[05:10] | Yes… oh… | 是啊 |
[05:14] | – Bye. – Bye. | -再见 -再见 |
[05:27] | Stephen? | 斯蒂芬 |
[05:39] | Well, then, here we are, | 来看看这个 |
[05:41] | a little challenge for you all, | 给你们的小测试 |
[05:43] | as you embark upon your separate doctoral journeys… | 在你们踏上学术研究之路时… |
[05:45] | whatever they may be, Mr. Hawking. | 不管你们打算研究什么 霍金先生 |
[05:48] | Pass them down. | 传下去 |
[05:50] | Something to separate the men from the boys, | 来看看你们是男人还是男孩 |
[05:52] | the wheat from the chaff, | 是粮食还是糟糠 |
[05:53] | the mesons from the pi-mesons, the quarks from the quacks. | 介子还是π介子 真夸克[基本粒子之一]还是假行家 |
[05:57] | Ten questions, each more impregnable than the last. | 十个问题 一个比一个难 |
[06:01] | Good luck, you’ll need it. Shall we say Friday at 3 o’clock? | 祝你们好运吧 周五三点再见 |
[06:06] | This is going to hospitalize me. | 我要做到瘫痪了 |
[06:11] | And one, drive! | 一 划 |
[06:13] | Two, drive! | 二 划 |
[06:15] | Three, drive! | 三 划 |
[06:17] | Stay long, Brian. I’ll give you something long. | 坚持住 布莱恩 给你喊个持久的 |
[06:20] | Stay long, Brian. Keep long, Brian! | 坚持住 布莱恩 加把劲 布莱恩 |
[06:24] | Shut up! | 闭嘴 |
[06:25] | – Long, Brian! – I’m exhausted. | -撑住啊 布莱恩 -累死了 |
[06:27] | Stay long, Brian! | 坚持住 布莱恩 |
[06:32] | Flip it, flip it! Wiggs. | 弹它 弹它 该死 |
[06:36] | Somebody else for once. | 换个人好吗 |
[06:38] | – Can I get two more of those, please? – Yeah, sure. | -再来两杯这个 -好啊 |
[06:40] | – And some change for payphone, Sir. – Yeah. | -换点零钱打个电话 -好的 |
[06:54] | – Steve, you all right, mate? – Jane. | -斯蒂夫 你没事吧 -简 |
[07:03] | You’ll never guess who I saw with him the other day… Caroline. | 猜我那天碰到他跟谁在一起 卡罗琳 |
[07:07] | For heaven’s sake, she can save him, quite frankly. | 快把他留住吧 别放出来吓人 |
[07:12] | What’s the probability? | 这概率有多大 |
[07:14] | Reasonably low. | 小的不得了 |
[07:17] | Uh… this is… this is Stephen. | 这个 这是斯蒂芬 |
[07:21] | – Do you play croquet? – Croquet? | -你玩槌球吗 -槌球 |
[07:24] | Not recently. | 有阵子没玩了 |
[07:26] | Sunday morning. | 周日早上 |
[07:28] | I’m actually busy on Sunday mornings. | 我周日早上有事 |
[07:32] | Oh… Him. | 是啊 跟上帝[做礼拜] |
[07:39] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[07:47] | Anyway, before I was completely interrupted… | 好吧 接着之前的说… |
[08:02] | Oh, come on, get up! How many did you get? | 快起床 你做出了几个 |
[08:07] | – Morning, Brian. – Good afternoon, Stephen. | -早上好 布莱恩 -下午好 斯蒂芬 |
[08:11] | How many of the impossible questions did you do? | 那几个超级难问题你做出几个 |
[08:13] | Brian, I have no idea what you’re talking about. | 布莱恩 你在说什么啊 |
[08:15] | How many of Sciama’s questions did you get, Stephen? | 夏玛的问题 你做出几个 斯蒂芬 |
[08:18] | – None. – You didn’t get any? | -没做 -一个没做吗 |
[08:21] | I was going to do them later. | 我一会再做 |
[08:22] | You haven’t even looked at them. | 你看都没看 |
[08:23] | No. | 没看 |
[08:24] | Stephen, are you aware that | 斯蒂芬 你知道自己 |
[08:25] | you’ve voluntarily embarked on a PhD in physics? | 是自愿攻读物理学博士学位的吧 |
[08:28] | At the most prestigious college in England? | 还是在英国最顶尖的大学里 |
[08:29] | Yes. | 知道 |
[08:30] | Oh! Thought maybe you’d slept through the induction or something. | 还以为入学典礼时候你睡着了呢 |
[08:36] | Bri? | 布莱恩 |
[08:38] | – What? – Can you whip on some Wagner? | -怎么了 -放段瓦格纳吧 |
[08:42] | Sod off! | 一边去 |
[09:28] | – Come in, Stephen. – Sorry. | -请进 斯蒂芬 -抱歉 |
[09:32] | Michael, that’s so illegible | 迈克 你这乱成一坨 |
[09:34] | I can’t quite decipher how wrong it is, I suspect enormously, | 我也不知道你错了多少 估计是不少 |
[09:37] | and Brian… that’s just baffling. | 布莱恩 看不懂你写的什么 |
[09:40] | – Have you even bothered to? – Oh, sorry. | -您受累做了没 -抱歉 |
[09:49] | Train time tables. | 列车时刻表 |
[09:53] | It’s certainly unacceptable, these expired a month ago. | 这怎么行 这时刻表都过期了 |
[09:57] | It’s on the back, I had a little accident. | 在背面 我出了点事 |
[10:06] | I could only do nine. | 只能做出九个 |
[10:11] | Well… oh… thank God… Bravo… | 好吧 谢天谢地 真棒 |
[10:17] | Nine? | 九个 |
[10:21] | Come in. | 请进 |
[10:25] | Oh, Stephen, take a seat. | 斯蒂芬 坐吧 |
[10:39] | I wanted to talk to you about your subject. | 我想谈谈你的课题 |
[10:43] | We’re all rather concerned as to what it’s going to be. | 我们都等着你决定研究方向呢 |
[10:46] | I can’t decide. | 我定不下来 |
[10:52] | Do you have any ideas? | 有什么想法吗 |
[10:56] | No. | 没有 |
[11:16] | So… | 好了… |
[11:17] | This is where J.J. Thomson discovered the electron, | 汤普森在这发现了电子[1897年] |
[11:22] | and where Rutherford split the atom. | 卢瑟福在这分裂了原子核[1909年] |
[11:29] | You know, one of the great rewards of this job is one never knows | 在剑桥搞研究的好处就是 你永远都不知道 |
[11:32] | from where the next great | 谁 在哪里 |
[11:33] | leap forward is going to come, or from whom. | 能搞出个重大发现来 |
[11:40] | Listen, next Friday, I’m taking a few graduates of merit to London, | 下周五 我要带几个优秀研究生去伦敦 |
[11:44] | to attend a talk by the mathematician Roger Penrose. | 参加数学家罗杰·彭罗斯的讲座 |
[11:48] | You come along… if you’re interested. | 你也来吧 如果有兴趣的话 |
[11:55] | Oh, and close the door as you leave. | 走的时候记得关门 |
[12:44] | So, I gather you’ve never been to church? | 听说你从没去过教堂 |
[12:46] | Once upon a time. | 很久以前去过 |
[12:48] | Tempted to convert? | 想信教吗 |
[12:50] | I have a slight problem with the whole Celestial Dictator premise. | 我不太信这种统领万物的神 |
[12:54] | Now, what are you doing for lunch? Ma makes a cracking roast. | 你午饭有安排吗 我妈烤的肉特别好吃 |
[13:04] | So, Jane, what are you studying? | 简 你是学什么的 |
[13:07] | – Arts. – Sprouts? | -文学 -要球甘蓝吗 |
[13:09] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[13:11] | French and Spanish, and hoping to do a PhD eventually. | 法语和西班牙语 毕业希望继续读博 |
[13:15] | Oh, one arm. | 哪个方向呢 |
[13:16] | Medieval poetry of the Iberian Peninsula. | 中世纪伊波利亚半岛诗歌 |
[13:19] | Medieval poets… What painters do you like? | 中世纪诗歌…你喜欢哪位画家 |
[13:23] | – Well, I like Turner. – Turner, really? | -我喜欢特纳 -特纳吗 |
[13:27] | You know, I always feel that his paintings | 我一直觉得他的画 |
[13:29] | look as if they’ve been left out in the rain. | 像被暴雨浇过似的 |
[13:32] | And… William Blake. | 还有 威廉·布雷克 |
[13:36] | – Jane, have some of my elderflower wine. – Yes, yes, thank you. | -简 来尝尝我的接骨木酒 -谢谢 |
[13:39] | Don’t touch it, don’t touch it, Jane. | 别试 别试 简 |
[13:41] | Thank you. Mother? | 谢谢 他妈呢 |
[13:43] | Stephen doesn’t like my homemade wine…philistine. | 斯蒂芬不喜欢我自己酿的酒 真没品味 |
[13:47] | I’m going to send you back with a couple of bottles. | 给你塞几瓶带回学校 |
[13:49] | So, Stephen, you have come from church with a good woman. | 斯蒂芬 你和这位善良的女士去了教堂 |
[13:53] | Are you feeling holier than thou? | 觉得自己圣洁吗 |
[13:56] | Positively saintly… thank you. | 非常圣洁 谢谢 |
[13:59] | You haven’t said why you don’t believe in God. | 你还没说自己为什么不信上帝 |
[14:02] | A physicist can’t allow his calculations | 物理学家的研究 |
[14:04] | to be muddled by a belief in a supernatural creator. | 不能受超自然的创世主影响 |
[14:06] | Sounds less of an argument against God than against physicists. | 听着好像是物理学家的问题啊 |
[14:13] | Light or dark? | 鸡胸还是鸡腿 |
[14:16] | – Jane, light meat or dark? – Light, please. | -简 鸡胸还是鸡腿 -鸡胸 谢谢 |
[14:21] | I’m inviting Jane to be my partner to the May ball. | 我要请简做我五月舞会[剑桥传统]的舞伴 |
[14:23] | Really! Very impressive! | 真的吗 真棒 |
[14:26] | You’ll have to dance this year Stephen. | 你要跳舞了 斯蒂芬 |
[14:29] | Make way for my mother’s leg, here we go. | 你妈烤的鸡腿 好了 |
[14:49] | Hello. | 你好 |
[14:53] | Hello. | 你好 |
[15:10] | – Sorry. – Are you okay? | -抱歉 -你没事吧 |
[15:22] | – Do you dance, Stephen? – No. | -跳舞吧 -不跳 |
[15:25] | No, I don’t dance. | 不跳了 |
[15:27] | I don’t. It’s a phenomenon I’m very happy to observe, | 我不跳 虽然我很喜欢看别人跳 |
[15:30] | but I can’t possibly imagine participating. | 但我自己是不会跳的 |
[15:32] | I absolutely agree. I mean, who would want to dance? | 我也这么想的 谁愿意跳舞啊 |
[15:34] | No, I’m serious, I don’t dance. | 说真的 我不跳舞 |
[15:40] | No dancing then. | 那就不跳了 |
[15:49] | Do you see how the men’s shirt-fronts | 你看男生的衬衫前胸 |
[15:50] | and their bow ties, how they glow more than the womens’ dresses? | 还有领结 比女生的礼服还闪亮 |
[15:54] | – Yes. – Do you know why? | -是啊 -知道为什么吗 |
[15:57] | – Why? – Tide. | -为什么 -汰渍 |
[16:00] | The washing powder. | 洗衣粉 |
[16:02] | The fluorescence in the washing powder is caught by the UV light. | 洗衣粉里的荧光物质在紫外线照射下发光 |
[16:06] | Why do you know that? | 你怎么知道的 |
[16:13] | When stars are born and when they die, they emit UV radiation. | 恒星诞生和毁灭时 会辐射出紫外线 |
[16:21] | So, if we could see the night sky in ultraviolet light, | 如果只能看到夜空里的紫外线 |
[16:24] | then almost all the stars would disappear | 现在的星星就都不见了 |
[16:28] | and all that we would see are these spectacular births and deaths. | 只剩下恒星壮丽的诞生和毁灭 |
[16:36] | – I reckon it would look a little… – Like that. | -我觉得应该… -就像这个 |
[17:16] | – So, why? – Why what? | -为什么 -什么为什么 |
[17:18] | Why Spanish medieval poetry? | 为什么要研究中世纪西班牙诗歌 |
[17:20] | I suppose I like to time travel… | 应该是我喜欢穿越时空吧… |
[17:24] | …like you. | …像你一样 |
[17:26] | Are there any particular time periods that you’d like to visit? | 有哪段时空是你特别想去的吗 |
[17:29] | – The imagine it’s the Twenties. – The Roaring Twenties? | -二十年代吧 -咆哮的二十年代吗[1920 北美] |
[17:34] | “Seek, then, No learning from starry men, | “不要在天文学家那找寻知识 |
[17:38] | “Who follow with the optic glass | “他们只是用望远镜 |
[17:40] | “The whirling ways of stars that pass.” | “追随恒星纷飞的路径” |
[17:47] | Bravo! | 真棒 |
[18:14] | Well, that’s astonishing, isn’t it? | 真壮观啊 |
[18:21] | “In the beginning was the heaven and the earth, | “创世之初 只有天地 |
[18:30] | “and the earth was without form, | “大地混沌 没有定型 |
[18:34] | “And darkness was upon the face of the deep.” | “黑暗笼罩着深渊” |
[18:52] | Will you dance with me? | 和我共舞一曲吧 |
[19:52] | The train now departing from platform three is | 三号站台 前往伦敦国王十字车站的列车 |
[19:55] | the nine-seventeen service to London King’s Cross. | 将于九点十七发车 |
[20:06] | Come on, Stephen. Get a move on. | 快点 斯蒂芬 快点 |
[20:10] | What’s wrong with you, man? Chop-chop. | 怎么了你 快上来 |
[20:27] | A star, more than three times the size of our sun… | 一颗恒星 体积是太阳的三倍多 |
[20:31] | ought to end its life, how? With a collapse. | 就要走到尽头 怎么结束呢 坍缩 |
[20:36] | The gravitational forces of the entire mass | 整颗恒星的引力 |
[20:38] | overcoming the electromagnetic forces of individual atoms, | 克服了原子之间的斥力 |
[20:41] | and so collapsing inwards. | 向内坍缩 |
[20:44] | If the star is massive enough, it will continue this collapse, | 如果质量足够大 还会继续坍缩 |
[20:47] | creating a black hole, where the warping of space-time | 形成一个黑洞 翘曲了时空 |
[20:51] | is so great that nothing can escape… not even light. | 什么都逃不出去 包括光 |
[20:55] | It gets… smaller… smaller. | 变得越来越小 越小 |
[21:01] | The star, in fact, gets denser, as atoms, | 恒星的密度越来越大 |
[21:03] | even subatomic particles get literally crushed into smaller and smaller space. | 原子 甚至原子内的粒子都被压缩了 |
[21:12] | And at its end point what are we left with? | 那最终 我们得到了什么 |
[21:17] | A space time singularity. | 时空奇点 |
[21:21] | Space and time come to a stop. | 时空在这里停止 |
[21:52] | I wonder what would happen if you applied | 我在想 如果把彭罗斯的理论 |
[21:53] | Penrose’s theory about black holes to the entire universe? | 从黑洞推广到整个宇宙呢 |
[21:58] | If Einstein is right, | 如果爱因斯坦是对的 |
[21:59] | or if general relativity is correct, | 或者说广义相对论是对的 |
[22:01] | then the universe is expanding, yes? | 那宇宙是在膨胀的 对吧 |
[22:03] | – Yes. – Okay, so… | -对 -好了 |
[22:05] | If you reverse time, then the universe is getting smaller. | 如果时光倒流 宇宙就是在缩小 |
[22:08] | – All right. – So… | -没错 -那么 |
[22:10] | What if I reverse the process all the way back | 如果一路倒退回去 |
[22:14] | to see what happened at the beginning of Time itself? | 回到时间的起点呢 |
[22:17] | – The beginning of Time itself? – Yes. | -时间的起点 -对 |
[22:20] | The universe, getting smaller and smaller, | 宇宙越来越小 |
[22:23] | getting denser and denser, hotter and hotter as… | 密度越来越大 温度越来越高 |
[22:25] | As you wind back the clock. | 随着时间的倒流 |
[22:27] | – Exactly, you wind back the clock. – Wind back the clock. | -没错 时光倒流 -时光倒流 |
[22:31] | Is that what you’re doing? Are you winding back the clock? | 你是想让时光倒流吗[逆时针] |
[22:34] | That’s what I’m doing. | 没错 |
[22:36] | Well, keep winding! You’ve got quite a way to go! Keep winding. | 继续转 还有好久呢 继续转 |
[22:40] | I don’t want to fall in. | 我怕掉进去 |
[22:41] | Well, you’ve got to go back to the beginning of time. | 你得回到时间的起点 |
[22:42] | You’ve got a long way to go, so, keep winding, keep winding! | 可有你转的 接着转 别停 |
[22:46] | Until you get… | 直到… |
[22:49] | A singularity. | 奇点 |
[22:50] | A space-time singularity, | 时空奇点 |
[22:51] | so the universe born from a black hole exploding. | 宇宙源自黑洞的爆炸 |
[22:54] | – Keep going. – What do you mean, “Keep going”, what… | -继续 -继续什么 |
[22:57] | before the universe began? | 宇宙起源之前吗 |
[22:58] | No, no, no, no! Keep going, develop the mathematics! | 不是 继续 用数学方法解决 |
[24:45] | Okay, all right. Very good. | 好了 好了 |
[24:48] | Push it as hard as you can! Push it, push it! | 用力顶 用力顶 |
[24:52] | – As hard as you can. – I am pushing as hard as I can. | -用力 -我用力了 |
[24:56] | Why… count 1… 1, 2… 1, 2… | 怎么… 一 二 一 二 |
[25:02] | Why won’t it… | 怎么不… |
[25:04] | All right, all right. | 好了 |
[25:07] | Fourth finger, fourth peg. | 无名指 第四个夹子 |
[25:44] | It’s called motor neuron disease. | 是运动神经元病 |
[25:51] | It’s a progressive neurological disorder | 神经元逐步失调 |
[25:54] | that destroys the cells in the brain that control essential muscle activity, | 导致控制肌肉运动的脑细胞受损 |
[25:58] | such as… | 比如 |
[26:00] | Speaking, walking, breathing, swallowing | 讲话 行走 呼吸 吞咽 |
[26:07] | The signals that muscles must receive in order to move are disrupted. | 控制肌肉运动的电信号收到了干扰 |
[26:12] | The result is… gradual muscle decay, wasting away. | 结果就是肌肉逐步萎缩 |
[26:20] | Eventually, the ability to | 最终彻底地 |
[26:22] | control voluntary movement is… lost… entirely. | 丧失运动能力 |
[26:32] | I’m afraid average life expectancy is two years. | 平均寿命是发病后两年 |
[26:40] | There’s nothing I can do for you. | 我也无能为力 |
[26:45] | What about the brain? | 大脑呢 |
[26:49] | The brain isn’t affected, you’re thoughts won’t change. | 大脑不受影响 你的思想依然在 |
[26:52] | It’s… just that… | 就是 |
[26:58] | Well, eventually, no one will know what they are. | 到最后 没人能知道你在想什么了 |
[27:05] | I’m ever so sorry. | 非常抱歉 |
[27:57] | Welcome to this week’s episode of “The Natural World”, | 欢迎收看本周的自然世界 |
[28:00] | where this week we explore the bizarre hibernation patterns | 这次 我们找到了剑桥的一位杰出物理学家 |
[28:04] | of the rare Cambridge Physicist, | 研究他的冬眠规律 |
[28:07] | seen here in his remarkable plumage…” | 就是盛装的这位 |
[28:12] | So, how was it? What did they say, how’s your wrist? | 怎么样 他们怎么说的 你的手腕怎么样 |
[28:16] | I have a disease, Bri. | 我病了 布莱恩 |
[28:19] | Is it venereal… Stephen? | 是花柳病吗 斯蒂芬 |
[28:25] | I have motor neuron disease. | 是运动神经元病 |
[28:30] | Sorry, I don’t… | 不好意思 |
[28:31] | It’s Lou Gehrig’s disease, he’s a baseball player. | 卢·葛雷克病 他是个棒球运动员 |
[28:34] | Sorry, I’m lagging behind in my pioneering research into | 不好意思 神经运动 棒球什么的病 |
[28:37] | obscure, motor, baseball related diseases. | 我还没深入研究过 |
[28:43] | – I have two years to live. – Sorry? | -我还剩两年 -什么 |
[28:49] | It does sound odd when you say it out loud, doesn’t it? | 大声说出来就不那么怪了是吧 |
[28:55] | Whatchya mean? No, you don’t. | 什么意思 不可能 |
[29:00] | What did… what did… what… | 他们 他们 |
[29:01] | what did they say? Sorry, I… I don’t really… | 他们怎么说的 我刚没仔细… |
[29:08] | Will you go, Brian? | 走吧 布莱恩 |
[29:09] | Stephen, I was just being a berk… | 斯蒂芬 我就是闹着玩 |
[29:10] | I didn’t… I’m so… I’ll be… | 我没…我肯定… |
[29:15] | You go. | 走吧 |
[29:17] | Stephen, phone for you. It’s a girl. | 斯蒂芬 找你的电话 是个姑娘 |
[29:35] | – I’ll see you soon. – Yes. | -回头见 -好的 |
[29:50] | She’s waiting. | 她在等着呢 |
[30:02] | Stephen? | 斯蒂芬 |
[30:51] | Jane. Jane! | 简 简 |
[30:52] | – Jane! – Brian. | -简 -布莱恩 |
[30:55] | Hello. Sorry… I’m… | 真抱歉 我 |
[30:57] | Why don’t you sit down. | 坐下吧 |
[31:05] | I’m so sorry. | 真抱歉 |
[31:06] | I spoke to Stephen, uh, yesterday, | 我昨天跟斯蒂芬谈过 |
[31:10] | and I know that you called him… | 我知道你给他打过电话 |
[31:51] | Something educational? | 有教育意义吗 |
[31:55] | Very. | 非常有 |
[31:58] | John is having an affair with Martha, | 约翰跟玛莎有外遇 |
[32:01] | but Martha is in love with Alan, | 可玛莎爱着阿兰 |
[32:03] | and I think that Alan is probably homosexual, | 不过阿兰应该是同性恋 |
[32:05] | by the look of his jumper, so, well, I’m just trying | 看他的毛衣 我呢 我在尽力 |
[32:10] | to work out the mathematical probability of happiness. | 计算他们幸福的可能性 |
[32:13] | Are you close? | 要算出来了吗 |
[32:15] | It’s some integer of zero, but, no, I’m not quite there yet. | 应该是零点几 不过还差着远呢 |
[32:22] | – Stephen. – You just missed him. | -斯蒂芬 -他刚走 |
[32:25] | He was here earlier. | 之前还在这 |
[32:29] | Don’t do this. | 别这样 |
[32:36] | Go! | 走吧 |
[32:42] | Croquet. | 槌球 |
[32:45] | Play a game with me. | 跟我打一场 |
[32:48] | Go! | 快走 |
[32:54] | If you don’t get up and play a game with me… | 你要是不站起来跟我打一场 |
[32:58] | I won’t come back here again… | 我就不回来了 |
[33:04] | …ever. | 永远不来了 |
[33:19] | Come on! | 来吧 |
[34:50] | Leave me now. | 你走吧 |
[34:52] | Are you going to talk about this or not? | 你不想谈谈吗 |
[34:53] | – Will you please just go? – Is that what you want? | -快走不好吗 -你想要我走吗 |
[34:56] | Yes, it is what I want, so, please, | 是 我想要你走 走吧 |
[34:58] | if you care about me all, then, please, just go! | 你要是还在乎我 就走吧 |
[35:01] | – I can’t. – I have two years to live. | -不行 -我只剩两年了 |
[35:03] | – I need to work. – I love you. | -我还要工作 -我爱你 |
[35:09] | You’ve… you’ve leapt to… that’s a false conclusion… | 你这 你得出了错误结论 |
[35:14] | I want us to be together, for as long as we’ve got, | 我要和你在一起 有多就是多久 |
[35:16] | and if that’s not very long then, well, | 时间不长的话 |
[35:17] | that’s just how it is… it’ll have to do. | 也没事 两年也够 |
[35:20] | You don’t know what’s coming. It’ll affect everything. | 你不知道会怎么样 我的一切都受影响 |
[35:41] | Your glasses are always dirty. | 你眼镜总是这么脏 |
[36:01] | There. | 好了 |
[36:04] | That’s better, isn’t it? | 好多了吧 |
[36:07] | Yes. | 嗯 |
[36:11] | Yes, it is. | 是啊 |
[36:20] | Now the solutions to the Schrodinger | 在盒子边缘 |
[36:23] | equation must vanish at the boundary of the box, so we have… | 薛定谔方程是无解的 所以… |
[36:29] | Time! | 时间 |
[36:32] | Time, that’s your subject? | 你的课题是时间吗 |
[36:36] | Any aspect in particular? | 有具体方向吗 |
[36:39] | Time. | 就是时间 |
[36:42] | Come in, come in. | 请进 请进 |
[36:54] | I don’t think you realize what lies ahead, Jane. | 你应该不知道自己面对的是什么 简 |
[37:01] | His life is going to be very short. | 他的寿命非常短 |
[37:05] | So, be careful, the weight of science is against you. | 要小心 你是在和科学作对 |
[37:14] | And this will not be a fight, Jane. | 而且你没有抗争的机会 |
[37:20] | This is going to be a very heavy defeat… | 我们都会被打败 |
[37:28] | …for all of us. | …所有人 |
[37:35] | I know what you all think… that… | 我知道你们都怎么想 |
[37:39] | That I don’t look a terribly strong person. | 觉得我不是很坚强 |
[37:46] | But I love him. | 可我爱他 |
[37:50] | And he loves me. | 他也爱我 |
[37:56] | We’re going to fight this illness together… | 我们要一起抗争… |
[38:03] | …all of us. | …大家一起 |
[39:31] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[39:33] | – Good morning, Stephen. – Good morning, professor. | -早上好 斯蒂芬 -早上好 教授 |
[39:46] | I know, I know… | 我知道 我知道 |
[39:47] | – …got to be a little more elegant. – Yes, that’s what… | -…方程要更优雅一点 -是啊 |
[39:50] | I understand… | 我懂… |
[39:56] | Come in, Stephen. | 进来吧 斯蒂芬 |
[40:06] | I know it’s something we’re all worried about initially. | 我知道 一开始都担心这个 |
[40:08] | But I knew, Roger… | 但我知道 罗杰 |
[40:10] | you had some reservation about it in the early days. | 你之前也是有所保留的 |
[40:12] | Yes, but it’s not uncommon in any theory. | 没错 但不是每个原理都这样 |
[40:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:16] | Very well, very well. We’ll see. | 等着瞧吧 |
[40:18] | – Welcome, Stephen. – Morning. | -欢迎 斯蒂芬 -早上好 |
[40:20] | – Would you like to take a seat? – No, I’m fine, thank you. | -请坐吧 -不用 谢谢 |
[40:24] | You’re sure? | 确定吗 |
[40:25] | So, so Stephen… in summary. | 好吧 斯蒂芬 总体来说 |
[40:29] | As we know, chapter one, full of holes. | 第一章 漏洞百出 |
[40:33] | Lacks mathematical support. | 缺乏数理支持 |
[40:36] | – Professor Thorne. – Chapter Two, not really original. | -基普·索恩教授 -第二章 算不上原创 |
[40:39] | Uses a lot of Roger’s ideas. | 用了不少罗杰的观点 |
[40:42] | Well, at least you run with them. | 至少你还支持我的观点 |
[40:45] | Chapter three, too many unanswered questions. | 第三章 留了太多疑问 |
[40:48] | I agree. | 没错 |
[40:49] | And then, of course, we have chapter four, | 当然了 还有第四章 |
[40:52] | this black hole at the beginning of time. | 时间起点的黑洞 |
[40:55] | – Space-time singularity? – Indeed. | -时空奇点 -没错 |
[40:58] | It’s brilliant! | 太棒了 |
[41:01] | Brilliant. | 太棒了 |
[41:02] | Superb! | 棒极了 |
[41:04] | And therefore, all that remains to be said is: Well done! | 那么只剩下一句话了 做得不错 |
[41:07] | Or perhaps, I should say, to be more precise: | 或者准确点说 |
[41:09] | – Well done, Doctor! – Bravo, Stephen. | -做的不错 博士 -漂亮 斯蒂芬 |
[41:12] | An extraordinary theory. | 这理论真不错 |
[41:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:21] | – So what next? – Prove it. | -然后呢 -证明它 |
[41:25] | To prove, with a single equation, that time had a beginning. | 用一个方程证明 时间是有起点的 |
[41:35] | Wouldn’t that be nice, Professor? | 是不是很棒 教授 |
[41:39] | With one simple elegant equation | 一个简单 优美的方程 |
[41:47] | to explain everything? | 来解释万物 |
[41:49] | Yes, it would. It would indeed. | 是啊 肯定很棒 |
[41:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[42:14] | To the esteemed, and formidable… | 敬受人尊敬的 能力超群的 |
[42:18] | – Doctor. – Who? | -博士 -谁[神秘博士] |
[42:22] | Doctor Stephen Hawking. | 斯蒂芬·霍金博士 |
[42:25] | Doctor Stephen Hawking. | 敬斯蒂芬·霍金博士 |
[42:29] | Thank you, Jane. | 谢谢 简 |
[42:31] | It is astonishing that he’s the first person | 真神奇 他是第一个没怎么努力 |
[42:32] | to receive his doctorate bearing in mind how little work he’s be doing. | 就拿到博士学位的人 |
[42:37] | “Work” Was the worst four-letter word for Stephen. | 努力是霍金最讨厌的词 |
[42:39] | Even at Oxford, | 甚至在牛津 |
[42:39] | especially, he averaged an hour, an HOUR a day he averaged. | 他平均每天只学习一个小时 一个小时 |
[42:44] | – And that it is. It’s Stephen… – It’s astonishing on the level sloth. | -就这样 斯蒂芬就是… -比树獭倒是勤快不少 |
[42:47] | I’ve got… | 我还… |
[42:48] | on the theme of sloth, Brian. | 说到树獭 布莱恩 |
[42:50] | How many of your | 过去六个月 |
[42:50] | letters have I covered in the last six months? | 我帮你们上了多少课 |
[42:52] | When you’ve been doing research trips up to the Lake District? | 你们去湖区搞研究时候 |
[42:55] | – Absolutely, completely… – So have I! | -你们真是… -我也是 |
[42:57] | – How many? – Four. | -多少 -四次 |
[43:25] | – Everything all right? – I’m good… I’m fine. | -没事吧 -没事 我没事 |
[43:46] | What can you do? | 你能怎么办 |
[43:55] | – Business or pleasure? – For pleasure. | -公差还是私事 -私事 |
[44:20] | Hi, Robbie. | 你好啊 罗比 |
[44:25] | It’s ok, Robbie. | 没事 罗比 |
[46:16] | This…is… | 只…是… |
[46:22] | temporary. | 暂时的 |
[46:26] | Of course. | 是啊 |
[46:34] | Well, it’s convenient for breakfast! | 方便吃早饭了 |
[46:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[46:55] | Sorry, did you say something? | 你刚说什么了 |
[47:00] | I said… | 我说… |
[47:06] | Yes? | 什么 |
[47:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[48:01] | She looks like you. | 长得像你 |
[48:08] | Look at you! | 看看你 |
[48:11] | Go, Jane. | 去吧 简 |
[48:15] | I’ll be one second. | 马上回来 |
[48:18] | Luce, Lucy. | 露西 宝贝 |
[48:33] | Jane. | 简 |
[49:03] | Stephen. | 斯蒂芬 |
[49:09] | I’ve got an idea. | 我有了个想法 |
[49:15] | I said I’ve had an idea. | 我说我有了个想法 |
[49:30] | – Hello. – Hi, Dennis. | -你好 -你好 丹尼斯 |
[49:31] | – Hello, Dennis. – Hi. | -你好 丹尼斯 -你好 |
[49:35] | Okay, good luck. | 好了 好运 |
[49:37] | He’ll be fine, he’ll be fine. | 他没事的 他没事的 |
[49:41] | – Sorry. – No problem. | -抱歉 -没关系 |
[49:52] | …allowing us to predict that | …我们可以推断 |
[49:56] | some particles can in fact escape a black hole. | 有些粒子 是可以逃离黑洞的 |
[50:03] | The black holes are not, in fact, black at all, | 黑洞 并不是那么黑的 |
[50:09] | but glow with heat radiation. | 它散发着热辐射 |
[50:16] | The steady emission of | 也就是说黑洞 |
[50:18] | heat energy causes the black holes to lose mass, | 在稳定地辐射热能 导致损失质量 |
[50:25] | and eventually they disappear in a spectacular explosion. | 最终以爆炸的方式消失 |
[50:33] | It’s very, very simple, in the way that a body loses heat… | 非常 非常简单 像人体辐射热能一样 |
[50:36] | Second law of thermodynamics. | 热力学第二定理 |
[50:37] | – He’s right, it’s thermodynamics. – In… in… | -没错 热力学 -就在… |
[50:40] | If we can imagine that the black hole is, indeed, | 想象一下 如果的确 |
[50:43] | losing particles, then, | 有粒子不断逃离黑洞 |
[50:44] | over time it will diminish in size, it will evaporate. | 那假以时日 黑洞的体积就会减小 会蒸发 |
[50:47] | – It will… – Disappear. | -然后 -消失 |
[50:51] | So… | 所以 |
[50:57] | First a star vanishes into a black hole, | 首先 恒星消失 坍缩成黑洞 |
[51:05] | but then the black hole itself vanishes… | 然后 黑洞也消失了… |
[51:14] | Gone! Nothing! | 消失 虚无 |
[51:15] | – From nothing to nothing. – You owe me another beer. | -从虚无到虚无 -你欠我杯啤酒 |
[51:19] | I have just shown you that our | 我刚告诉你 |
[51:20] | friend has proven that time, indeed has a beginning. | 我们的朋友证明了时间是有起点的 |
[51:24] | Not only that, how the universe was born, and how it will end. | 不仅是这个 还有宇宙如何出现 如何消亡 |
[51:28] | – Bang! – Crunch! | -砰 -咔嚓 |
[51:34] | It’s beautiful! It’s racy! | 多美 多生动 |
[51:37] | Complete nonsense. It’s preposterous. | 真荒唐 胡言乱语 |
[51:44] | Was it something I said, professor? | 是因为我说的东西吗 教授 |
[51:49] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[51:53] | My name… | 我叫 |
[51:54] | My name is Professor Khalatnikov. | 我是卡拉提诺夫教授 |
[51:57] | from Soviet Academy of Sciences. | 来自苏维埃理工学院 |
[51:59] | As you know, my field is evolution of the hot universe, | 我的研究领域 是热宇宙的演化 |
[52:04] | the properties of the microwave background radiation, | 宇宙微波背景辐射的性质 |
[52:08] | and theory of the black holes. | 还有黑洞理论 |
[52:11] | To be honest… | 说实话… |
[52:13] | I came here today… | 我今天来… |
[52:16] | …expecting to hear a lot of nonsense. | …就是想听胡言乱语的 |
[52:20] | I go home disappointed. | 然后失望地回家 |
[52:23] | The little one here… has done it. | 这位小伙子做到了 |
[52:29] | He has done it! | 他做到了 |
[52:39] | It has been a pleasure to meet you, | 见到你真荣幸 |
[52:40] | – Professor. – My pleasure, my pleasure. | -教授 -我才荣幸 |
[52:46] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[52:47] | Well done, Stephen! | 漂亮 斯蒂芬 |
[52:49] | – That went pretty well, all considered. – I was worried for awhile. | -还算顺利嘛 -我还有点担心 |
[52:58] | Hawking radiation! The little one has done it! | 霍金辐射 这位小伙子做到了 |
[53:01] | The little one has done it! | 这位小伙子做到了 |
[53:04] | – Come on, Genius! – Oh, very funny! | -快点 天才 -真好笑 |
[53:10] | You’ve had enough of that, Old Man. | 就推你到这了 老头子 |
[53:12] | Come on, codger. 1, 2, 3… | 用力 小子 1 2 3 |
[53:19] | God! How does Jane manage? | 天哪 简是怎么做到的 |
[53:25] | Stephen, your Motor “Mouth” Disease, does it effect… | 斯蒂芬 你那个运动口腔什么的病 会不会影响… |
[53:31] | What? | 什么 |
[53:33] | Everything? | 一切 |
[53:35] | What? No. | 什么 不会 |
[53:37] | Different system… automatic. | 另一条回路 自动的 |
[53:41] | You serious? | 真的吗 |
[53:43] | Well, that’s a pretty wonderful, isn’t it? | 那还算不错嘛 |
[53:46] | Well, it certainly explains a lot about men. | 难怪男人都是那德行 |
[53:50] | Hurry up! Come on! | 快点 |
[54:03] | Please. | 快来 |
[54:27] | – What’s in there? – It’s a surprise! | -里面有什么 -惊喜 |
[54:32] | Right. | 好了 |
[54:35] | Keep them closed. | 别睁开 |
[54:39] | Look, Daddy, look! | 爸爸 快看 |
[54:41] | That is an electric wheelchair. | 这是电动轮椅 |
[54:44] | If you don’t like it, we can take it back. | 不喜欢的话可以退回去 |
[55:10] | I don’t understand… | 我不明白… |
[55:11] | you’ve spent years assuming black holes exist, and | 你花了好多年假设黑洞存在 |
[55:15] | you believe Cygnus X-1 could well turn out to be | 你相信天鹅座X-1星很可能 |
[55:19] | the first black hole that we can actually observe, | 是我们能观测到的第一个黑洞 |
[55:22] | and yet you bet Kip Thorne it’s not a black hole? | 却还跟基普·索恩赌它不是 |
[55:24] | – Yes. – What did you bet him? | -是的 -赌什么 |
[55:27] | A one year’s subscription to a magazine. | 赌一年的杂志 |
[55:31] | – Which magazine? Nature? – No! Penthouse! | -什么杂志 《自然》吗 -不是 《阁楼》 |
[55:37] | – Penthouse? – Yes. | -《阁楼》吗 -没错 |
[55:39] | Gonna get you! | 抓到你了 |
[55:45] | Daddy! Come up! Let’s get Mummy! | 爸爸 快点 去找妈妈 |
[55:47] | Come on. | 快点 |
[55:50] | Gonna get you. | 要抓到你了 |
[55:52] | Mummy! Mummy! Come and look! | 妈妈 妈妈 快来看 |
[55:59] | We’re gonna get you! | 抓到你了 |
[56:01] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[56:07] | Holiday! Holiday! Holiday! Holiday! | 过节了 过节了 过节了 |
[56:22] | – Hello! – Hello! | -你好 -你好 |
[56:24] | – Hello! – There you are! | -你好 -来了啊 |
[56:25] | Hello, Pa. | 你好啊 爸 |
[56:26] | Isn’t that marvelous? | 真是厉害啊 |
[56:28] | What about these steps, Frank? | 这台阶怎么办 弗兰克 |
[56:29] | Steps are nothing, Jane. | 台阶没事的 简 |
[56:31] | – Jane, Stephen! – Hello. | -简 斯蒂芬 -你好 |
[56:33] | Here we are! | 终于来了 |
[56:34] | Yes, here we go. | 好了 |
[56:36] | And once we’re up at the top, it’s very snug… hello, Stephen. | 等上去了就方便多了 你好啊 斯蒂芬 |
[56:39] | Here we go. | 好了 |
[56:41] | – We’ll turn you around, Stephen. – You want me to push? | -来给你转个身 -要我推一下吗 |
[56:43] | No, no, I’ll be fine, you get the luggage. | 不用 我没事 你去拿行李吧 |
[56:46] | Here we go, off, we got it. | 好了 我来 |
[56:51] | There we are, you see. Quite easy. | 好了 多简单 |
[56:55] | And up one, there we go. | 上了一级 |
[56:57] | Shimmering? | 发光的吗 |
[56:59] | Um… the… rain coming down, shivering, cold, no, uh… | 下雨了 冷得让人发抖 |
[57:06] | The… falling… falling… um… | 下了 下了 |
[57:12] | – Very cold. – What is it? | -非常冷 -是什么 |
[57:14] | I can… I’m having a… | 我…我不太… |
[57:18] | Okay, take Lucy. One minute. | 抱着露西 马上好 |
[57:21] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[57:28] | Is it out? | 出来了吗 |
[57:31] | – Some… some water? – No, don’t worry. | -要点水吗 -不用 没事 |
[57:35] | You’re okay. That’s it. | 好了 没事了 |
[57:37] | There we go. It’s okay. It’s okay. | 没事了 没事了 |
[57:40] | He needs to see a specialist. | 得去看医生 |
[57:43] | It keeps happening over and over again. Ridiculous | 老是这样 真是荒唐 |
[57:46] | – No doctors. No doctors! – All right, no doctors. | -不看医生 不看医生 -好 不看 |
[57:59] | A little water. | 来点水 |
[58:39] | Stephen? | 斯蒂芬 |
[58:43] | I need help. | 我需要帮手 |
[58:47] | If only for Robert, it… he’s missing out on his childhood. | 就算是为了罗伯特 他的童年都被拖累了 |
[58:52] | I keep looking for a way to make this work, | 我想努力把这个家经营下去 |
[58:55] | but I can’t find it on my own. | 可我一个人做不到 |
[58:58] | Everything is fine, we’re just a normal family. | 没问题啊 我们是个正常的家庭 |
[59:03] | We’re not a normal family. | 哪里正常了 |
[59:10] | We’re not a normal family! | 哪里正常了 |
[59:15] | Robert, your mother is very angry with me. | 罗伯特 你妈妈对我非常生气 |
[59:29] | Thanks. | 谢谢啊 |
[59:40] | Jane? | 简 |
[59:48] | Jane! Stop! | 简 停下 |
[59:57] | Sit! | 坐下 |
[1:00:12] | Now… | 好了… |
[1:00:16] | I’d like to make a suggestion. | 我给你提个建议 |
[1:00:21] | It might sound unusual, but I have seen it work wonders. | 听着有点奇怪 可也帮过大忙 |
[1:00:25] | I think that you should consider joining the church choir. | 我觉得你应该加入唱诗班 |
[1:00:37] | Mum… | 妈妈 |
[1:00:38] | I think that’s possibly | 我好久都没听过 |
[1:00:40] | the most English thing anyone has ever said. | 这么贴心的话了 |
[1:00:45] | Maybe so. | 也许吧 |
[1:00:49] | – I used to love singing. – You’re very good at it. | -我以前喜欢唱歌 -唱得挺好的 |
[1:00:52] | – I don’t know about that. – Just go. | -那就不一定了 -去吧 |
[1:00:58] | It’s one hour a week. | 每周一小时 |
[1:01:44] | Really lovely, everyone. Okay, see you next week. | 真棒 大伙下周见 |
[1:01:55] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[1:01:59] | – Hello. – Hello. | -你好 -你好 |
[1:02:00] | – Have you come to sing? – Um… I just came to… | -是要加入唱诗班吗 -我是来… |
[1:02:09] | – Soprano? – Mezzo. | -高音吗 -中音 |
[1:02:11] | Ah! Lovely! Just what we need. | 太棒了 正需要中音 |
[1:02:14] | – Where have you been hiding? – Good question. | -你早去哪了 -问得好 |
[1:02:17] | Well, you’re here now and just in time. | 反正来得早不如来得巧 |
[1:02:20] | As they say. | 俗话说的 |
[1:02:27] | – Ya know, I have to come back anyway. – Great. | -反正我还要回来的 -好 |
[1:02:30] | – Do you have everything? – Yes, thank you, yes. | -都给你了吗 -是的 谢谢 |
[1:02:33] | Thank you for coming, you will be a… A valuable asset. | 谢谢你 你肯定是…团里的中流砥柱 |
[1:02:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:02:40] | Well, I should… I should be going. | 我 我该走了 |
[1:02:44] | And… uh… if your son wants those piano lessons, just… | 要是你儿子想学钢琴… |
[1:02:46] | Yes, yes, absolutely, I… um… | 是啊 没问题 |
[1:02:49] | – I will do. – Great. | -肯定找你 -真棒 |
[1:02:51] | My… my husband… adores music, too. | 我丈夫也喜欢音乐 |
[1:02:53] | Oh! Well! Does he play? | 他弹什么乐器吗 |
[1:02:58] | I could… I could teach him as well. | 我也可以教他的 |
[1:03:01] | That’s a long story. But, um… | 说来话长 不过… |
[1:03:04] | Ah, okay. | 好吧 |
[1:03:06] | – Well, thank you, Jonathan – My pleasure, Jane, see you again. | -谢谢你 乔纳森 -不客气 简 再见 |
[1:03:08] | – Bye bye. – Bye bye. | -再见 -再见 |
[1:03:33] | Third finger. No, that one there. | 第三根手指 那边的 |
[1:03:37] | Try lifting your wrists a little bit. Keep your elbows back. | 手腕抬起点 肘向后顶 |
[1:03:40] | Okay, try again. | 再来一次 |
[1:04:03] | Wine? | 要酒吗 |
[1:04:05] | Why not, thank you. | 好啊 谢谢 |
[1:04:07] | – Stephen? – No. | -斯蒂芬 -不要 |
[1:04:28] | Stephen, Jane was telling me you have a beautiful theorem… | 斯蒂芬 简跟我说 你有个优美的理论 |
[1:04:35] | …that… that proves the universe had a beginning? Is that it? | 证明宇宙是有开端的 |
[1:04:43] | That was my PhD thesis. | 我的博士论文 |
[1:04:49] | My new project disproves it. | 我的新课题证明那是错的 |
[1:04:54] | Disproves it? | 是错的 |
[1:04:55] | Yes. | 是错的 |
[1:04:58] | So, then, you no longer believe in the Creation? | 那你不再相信创世理论了 |
[1:05:02] | What one believes is irrelevant… | 在物理学里 人信仰什么是… |
[1:05:08] | …irrelevant in physics. | …是不重要的 |
[1:05:13] | I see. | 好吧 |
[1:05:14] | Stephen’s done a U-turn. | 斯蒂芬来了个大转弯 |
[1:05:16] | The big new idea is that the universe has no boundaries at all. | 新的理论是宇宙没有边界 |
[1:05:21] | No boundaries, no beginning… | 没有边界 没有开端… |
[1:05:23] | …and no God. Oh! | …也没有上帝 |
[1:05:26] | Oh, I see… I… I thought that… | 明白了 我还以为 |
[1:05:29] | you’d proved the universe | 你证明宇宙有开端 |
[1:05:30] | had a beginning and thus a need for a Creator. | 进一步证明有创世主 |
[1:05:35] | – My mistake. – No… mine. | -我的错 -是我的 |
[1:05:41] | Stephen is looking for a single theory | 斯蒂芬想找到一个理论 |
[1:05:43] | that explains all the forces in the universe. | 来解释宇宙中的一切 |
[1:05:47] | Therefore, God must die. | 这样上帝就必须死 |
[1:05:49] | Why must God die, I don’t see. | 为什么上帝必须死 我不明白 |
[1:05:53] | The two great pillars of physics are: Quantum Theory, | 物理学的两大支柱是 量子论 |
[1:05:58] | the laws that govern the very small particles, | 针对所有微小粒子的理论 |
[1:06:01] | electrons and so on, and General Relativity. | 电子什么的 还有广义相对论 |
[1:06:06] | Ah, yes, Einstein. | 对 爱因斯坦 |
[1:06:07] | Einstein’s theory, the law that governs the very large, | 爱因斯坦的理论 针对非常巨大的 |
[1:06:10] | planets and such, but Quantum, and Relativity… | 恒星什么的 但量子论 和相对论 |
[1:06:14] | Don’t tell me… they’re different? | 别说 他们是不一样的 |
[1:06:16] | They don’t remotely play by the same rules. | 一点也不一样 |
[1:06:20] | If the world were all potatoes, then, easy | 如果宇宙里只有土豆 那很简单 |
[1:06:24] | you could trace a precise beginning, as Stephen once did, | 我们可以追溯回去 像斯蒂芬之前一样 |
[1:06:29] | a moment of Creation. | 找到创世的那一刻 |
[1:06:32] | Hallelujah, God lives. | 哈利路亚 上帝是存在的 |
[1:06:35] | If you incorporate peas into the menu, | 可是有了豌豆之后 |
[1:06:37] | then it all goes a little… | 就变得有点… |
[1:06:38] | …tits up. | …乱搞了 |
[1:06:41] | Yes, haywire. | 没错 疯掉了 |
[1:06:43] | – It all becomes a Godless mess. – Oh, dear. | -变成了没有上帝的乱世 -天啊 |
[1:06:46] | Einstein hated peas. | 爱因斯坦讨厌豌豆 |
[1:06:48] | Quantum Theory, he said, | 也就是量子论 他说 |
[1:06:50] | “God doesn’t play dice with the universe.” | “上帝不掷骰子” |
[1:06:54] | Seems he not only plays the dice, | 可是他不仅玩骰子 |
[1:06:58] | but he throws them where we can’t find them. | 还扔到了我们看不到的地方 |
[1:07:03] | God is back on the endangered species list. | 上帝又濒临灭绝了 |
[1:07:07] | Well, I expect He’ll cope. | 他应该能适应的 |
[1:07:09] | And physics is back in business. | 物理学又登场了 |
[1:07:14] | Yes, physics is back in business. | 对 物理学又登场了 |
[1:07:30] | I was married… actually. | 我以前结过婚 |
[1:07:35] | But sadly… she passed. | 可她去世了 |
[1:07:39] | Almost a year ago now. | 差不多一年了 |
[1:07:43] | It was leukemia. | 白血病 |
[1:07:47] | She fought it and I nursed her, but in the end… | 她抗争过 我也尽力照顾 可还是… |
[1:07:58] | I do get quite lonely… the tyranny of the empty room. | 我特别孤独 独守空房 |
[1:08:05] | And all that. | 什么的 |
[1:08:08] | But… music is my salvation… teaching and playing. | 但音乐拯救了我 在唱诗班 教人弹琴 |
[1:08:11] | Not really as a career, | 算不上职业吧 |
[1:08:12] | but I… I’m not that ambitious, so… | 反正我也没有什么野心 |
[1:08:22] | Is that a sin? I don’t know. | 这算不算是罪 我也不知道 |
[1:08:27] | Wrong man to ask. | 问错人了 |
[1:08:35] | – Thank you so much for having me. – Thank you for coming. | -谢谢你们的招待 -谢谢你能来 |
[1:08:38] | It was re… really… really wonderful. | 真是太…太好了 |
[1:08:40] | If there’s anything I can do to be of service… to you. | 如果有什么能帮你的 |
[1:08:44] | To the family, I mean. | 我是说帮你们家 |
[1:08:45] | I would… consider it a privilege. | 不要客气 |
[1:08:49] | I have no children, or commitments. | 我没有孩子 单身也没什么负担 |
[1:08:53] | I only mean that if I… could be of help, I’ve… | 我没别的意思 就是想帮你 我… |
[1:08:56] | I’m… really, if I might find a purpose | 我肯定… 也算是 |
[1:08:57] | that would help alleviate my own situation. | 帮我排解孤独了 |
[1:09:04] | – Good night. – Night. | -晚安 -晚安 |
[1:09:43] | I understand… | 我理解你的 |
[1:09:48] | If you need help… | 如果你需要帮助… |
[1:09:53] | If someone is prepared to offer… | 并且有人愿意帮忙 |
[1:10:03] | I won’t object. | 我不会反对的 |
[1:10:48] | Chilly? | 凉吗 |
[1:10:51] | Yes, it’s very bracing. | 是啊 可提神了 |
[1:12:31] | Calls you one and calls you all, | 您是一人 也是万物 |
[1:12:34] | to gain his everlasting hall. | 他的领域 永存于世 |
[1:12:37] | Christ was born to save. Christ was born to save. | 生为救赎 解救众生 |
[1:12:44] | Great! Lovely! Okay! We can go! | 太棒了 大家可以走了 |
[1:12:47] | – Just going on seven fourty-five. – Thank you. | -刚刚七点四十五 -谢谢 |
[1:12:50] | I’m… could… could you all leave a copy of that? | 能…谁能给我留一份 |
[1:12:59] | There’s something I need to tell you. | 我有话要跟你说 |
[1:13:02] | What? | 什么 |
[1:13:04] | I’m pregnant. | 我怀孕了 |
[1:13:08] | Gosh! I… I, um… I assumed that you and Stephen… | 天啊 我…我还以为你和斯蒂芬 |
[1:13:13] | Well, that’s… that’s really wonderful. | 真…真是太棒了 |
[1:13:16] | – It is. – Yes, it’s wonderful. | -确实 -真的 太美妙了 |
[1:13:20] | – Congratulations, Jane. – Thank you. | -简 恭喜你 -谢谢 |
[1:13:39] | Everyone say “Cheese”! Ready? | 说”茄子” 准备好了吗 |
[1:13:40] | Count 3! 1, 2, 3… | 我数到三 1 2 3 |
[1:13:42] | Cheese! | 茄子 |
[1:13:57] | – Mummy! – Just coming. | -妈妈 -来了 |
[1:14:00] | Oh come on sweetie, come on. | 别哭了 宝贝 |
[1:14:09] | Now, you know… | 那个 |
[1:14:11] | I’ve always been supportive | 我一直都很支持你 |
[1:14:12] | of your choice not to have home help, | 不请人来帮忙 |
[1:14:15] | but we need to find a permanent solution. | 但我们得想个长远的办法 |
[1:14:18] | This… this… | 这种…这种… |
[1:14:20] | situation cannot continue, | 这种状况不是长久之计 |
[1:14:22] | you need to have a proper live-in nurse immediately. | 你得赶紧找个常住的护工 |
[1:14:27] | We have help. | 有人照顾我 |
[1:14:29] | Look… you know what I’m talking about. | 你知道我什么意思 |
[1:14:33] | We can’t afford a live-in nurse. | 我们雇不起住家的护工 |
[1:14:37] | Stephen, you need to find a way, | 斯蒂芬 这样不是办法 |
[1:14:39] | for your family’s sake… | 为了你的家人 |
[1:14:41] | you’re world famous. | 你已经是世界名人了 |
[1:14:43] | For black holes, not for rock concerts. | 我是因为黑洞出名的 又不是摇滚乐 |
[1:14:47] | Stephen, this isn’t funny. I believe it’s urgent. | 斯蒂芬 我没开玩笑 这事不能拖 |
[1:15:13] | We do have a right to know. | 我们有权知道真相 |
[1:15:16] | We have a right to know, Jane. | 简 我们有权知道 |
[1:15:21] | Know what? | 知道什么 |
[1:15:24] | Whose child Timothy is… | 蒂莫西的爸爸是谁… |
[1:15:26] | Stephen’s, or Jonathan’s? | 斯蒂芬还是乔纳森 |
[1:15:31] | That’s what you think of me? | 我在你们眼里就是那样的人 |
[1:15:35] | There is no way that Timothy | 除了斯蒂芬 |
[1:15:36] | could have any other father than Stephen. | 没人可能是蒂莫西的爸爸 |
[1:15:39] | None! | 没人 |
[1:15:51] | – Jonathan, please don’t go. – I have to go. | -乔纳森 别走 -我该走了 |
[1:15:54] | – Everybody’s talking, and… – So, what does it matter? | -所有人都说我们… -那又怎样 |
[1:15:57] | It’s difficult for me because I’m just trying to help. | 我很难做下去 我只是想帮你们 |
[1:15:59] | I know you’re trying to help | 我当然知道 |
[1:16:00] | and your help is valued. | 我们很感激你 |
[1:16:01] | The best thing for me right now, | 我想现在我最好还是 |
[1:16:02] | I think, maybe if… if… if… | 还是…还是 |
[1:16:04] | …I just step back for now. | …退出你们的生活吧 |
[1:16:06] | Please, Jonathan, | 乔纳森 别这样 |
[1:16:07] | we need you, the children need you, | 我们需要你 孩子需要你 |
[1:16:09] | and I need you, and Stephen needs you. | 我需要你 斯蒂芬也需要你 |
[1:16:11] | – Jonathan… – Don’t think of it. | -乔纳森 -别说这些了 |
[1:16:11] | But there’s other things as well. Jane, I… | 但是 简 还有别的原因 |
[1:16:17] | I have feelings for you. | 我对你有感觉 |
[1:16:23] | And I have feelings for you, too. | 我对你也是 |
[1:16:31] | Thank you, Jane. | 简 谢谢你 |
[1:17:21] | I’ve been invited to Bordeaux Opera. | 有人邀我去波尔多剧院 |
[1:17:26] | – Invited where? – To Bordeaux. | -去哪 -波尔多 |
[1:17:32] | To Bordeaux? | 你要去波尔多 |
[1:17:35] | Wagner? | 瓦格纳吗 |
[1:17:36] | Students can take me, | 学生们可以带我去 |
[1:17:40] | I know you hate flying. | 我知道你不喜欢坐飞机 |
[1:17:44] | I do hate to fly. | 我确实讨厌坐飞机 |
[1:17:46] | Bring the car, meet me in Bordeaux. | 你开车去吧 我们波尔多见 |
[1:17:54] | Take the children camping. | 带孩子们野营 |
[1:18:00] | It’d be too difficult to manage, Stephen. | 那样就太麻烦了 |
[1:18:09] | Bring Jonathan. | 让乔纳森陪你吧 |
[1:18:17] | I doubt he would be willing. | 他不一定愿意去吧 |
[1:18:37] | Hello, Stephen. | 你好啊 斯蒂芬 |
[1:18:55] | – Is this okay? – Well… | -喝这个行吗 -这个… |
[1:18:59] | I won’t tell if you won’t. | 我是不会说出去的 |
[1:19:12] | Just… | 但是… |
[1:19:14] | bearing in mind you have to drive. | 别喝多 你还得开车呢 |
[1:19:32] | Jane needs help. | 简需要你的帮助 |
[1:19:49] | Sarah, you won’t forget to give him | 萨拉 千万记得 |
[1:19:51] | the injection as soon as soon as you land, will you. | 一着陆就给他注射药物 |
[1:19:53] | And you’ll call me when you get to the hotel. | 到宾馆记得给我打个电话 |
[1:19:54] | – I will. -Yes? Promise? | -不会忘的 -保证 |
[1:19:55] | – Yeah. – Good! | -一定不会 -好 |
[1:19:57] | Stephen? | 斯蒂芬 |
[1:20:01] | Mum’ll take the baby. | 妈妈带孩子来 |
[1:20:04] | – She’ll be here any minute. – See you in Bordeaux. | -她一会就到 -我们波尔多见 |
[1:20:08] | And be good. | 千万注意 |
[1:20:34] | – They asleep? – Yeah. | -他们睡了吗 -睡了 |
[1:22:37] | Jonathan. | 乔纳森 |
[1:23:14] | Oh God! | 天哪 |
[1:23:17] | Excuse me, sorry. | 抱歉 让一下 |
[1:23:52] | Jonathan? | 乔纳森 |
[1:23:54] | Jonathan, it’s Stephen, he’s been just taken ill, | 乔纳森 斯蒂芬出事了 |
[1:23:58] | he’s in the hospital right now, | 他突然病重 被送到了医院 |
[1:23:59] | he’s in a coma. | 现在还在昏迷 |
[1:24:56] | What are you talking about? | 你什么意思 |
[1:25:02] | This way would be a painless end. | 可以让他没有痛苦的离开 |
[1:25:04] | If we try to bring him round from the anesthetic | 让他脱离麻醉状态 |
[1:25:07] | it’s not sure he will survive resuscitation. | 也不一定能保他的命 |
[1:25:10] | You have to bring him round from the anesthetic! | 让他脱离麻醉状态 |
[1:25:14] | Are you sure it’s what you want? | 你确定真要这么做 |
[1:25:18] | The only way of weaning him off the ventilator | 唯一能让他呼吸的方法 |
[1:25:21] | would be to give him a tracheotomy, | 就是实施气管切开术 |
[1:25:23] | a hole in the neck, by-passing the throat. | 在脖子上开刀 从喉咙旁边过去 |
[1:25:29] | He will never speak again. | 他就再也没法说话了 |
[1:25:35] | There’s no question… Stephen must live. | 没得商量 必须要保住他的命 |
[1:25:40] | I will see he gets everything he needs. | 需要什么就用什么 |
[1:25:43] | I will have him transferred back to Cambridge. | 然后转院回剑桥 |
[1:25:49] | – He may not survive the journey. – Yes, he will. | -路上他可能撑不住的 -他能的 |
[1:26:02] | I know. | 我知道 |
[1:26:05] | I’ll… | 我就… |
[1:26:08] | step back. | 不去了 |
[1:26:13] | Did you get everything in the car… | 你东西都带齐了吗 |
[1:26:14] | his chair, and his equipment, and everything? | 他的轮椅 设备什么的 |
[1:26:39] | Goodbye. | 再见了 |
[1:28:15] | Stephen? | 斯蒂芬 |
[1:28:36] | This is a spelling board. | 这是个拼字板 |
[1:28:41] | Firstly, you tell me | 我先说颜色 |
[1:28:42] | what letter you want by blinking | 你要哪个颜色 |
[1:28:45] | when I say the color of the group that contains that letter. | 就对我眨下眼睛 |
[1:28:51] | Once I know the group, | 确定了颜色以后 |
[1:28:52] | you can choose the character inside that group by | 我说到你要的字母 |
[1:28:54] | by blinking again when I say the color of each letter with that group… | 你就眨下眼睛 |
[1:29:01] | …apparently | …很简单 |
[1:29:04] | Let’s just try. | 我们先试试吧 |
[1:29:10] | Green. | 绿色 |
[1:29:15] | Blue. | 蓝色 |
[1:29:18] | Pink. | 粉色 |
[1:29:22] | Black. | 黑色 |
[1:29:26] | Red. | 红色 |
[1:29:31] | Blink to choose the color of | 斯蒂芬 用哪个颜色的字母 |
[1:29:32] | the group of the letter that you want, Stephen.? | 就对我眨下眼睛好吗 |
[1:29:46] | Green. | 绿色 |
[1:29:50] | Blue. | 蓝色 |
[1:29:55] | Pink. | 粉色 |
[1:30:02] | Black. | 黑色 |
[1:30:09] | Red. | 红色 |
[1:30:53] | – Just wait here. – Great. | -稍等一下 -好的 |
[1:31:02] | She’s here, she comes highly recommended. | 她来了 很多人推荐她的 |
[1:31:09] | Promise not to eat her alive. | 跟她和气点 |
[1:31:13] | Okay? | 好吗 |
[1:31:26] | Here we are. | 来啦 |
[1:31:29] | Elaine, Stephen. | 伊莲 这是斯蒂芬 |
[1:31:33] | Stephen, Elaine. | 斯蒂芬 这是伊莲 |
[1:31:34] | Lovely to meet you, Professor. | 教授 很高兴见到你 |
[1:31:38] | Now, you should have everything you need. | 需要的东西应该都在这 |
[1:31:40] | But if there’s anything else, I’ll be right next door. | 还需要什么再找我 我就在隔壁 |
[1:31:44] | Great, I think we’ll get straight to work. | 很好 我们可以马上开始了 |
[1:31:48] | Thank you, Jane. | 简 谢谢 |
[1:31:49] | – Oh, if you just close the doors. – Of course. | -对了 麻烦关上门 -当然 |
[1:31:58] | We’ll get started then. | 那我们就开始了 |
[1:32:02] | Okay… | 好了 |
[1:32:12] | Red. | 红色 |
[1:32:16] | Yellow. | 黄色 |
[1:32:18] | T T. | |
[1:32:23] | Green. | 绿色 |
[1:32:25] | Black… “E”. | 黑色 E |
[1:32:29] | Green, green, “A”. | 绿色 绿色 A |
[1:32:32] | Tea. | 茶 |
[1:32:34] | You want a cup of tea? | 你要一杯茶 |
[1:32:39] | Okay. | 好的 |
[1:32:44] | Any preference? | 要什么口味 |
[1:32:49] | You’ve memorized the board, I know you have. | 我知道你肯定都记住了 |
[1:32:54] | I haven’t got all day. | 我可没空陪你耗 |
[1:32:58] | Green, green, green, yellow. | 绿 绿 绿 黄 |
[1:33:03] | Yellow, “B”. | 黄 B |
[1:33:06] | Green, blue, black, pink, red. | 绿 蓝 黑 粉 红 |
[1:33:09] | Red? | 红色吗 |
[1:33:10] | Green, yellow, blue, blue. | 绿 黄 蓝 蓝 |
[1:33:13] | “U”… should be Builder’s Tea, right? | U 加奶 两勺糖 是吗 |
[1:33:27] | Well, how did you get on? | 今天怎么样 |
[1:33:29] | You know, I think he’s the most brilliant man I’ve ever met. | 他是我遇到过最棒的人 |
[1:33:34] | – You’re very lucky. – Thank you. | -你很幸运 -谢谢 |
[1:33:36] | You must worship the ground beneath… | 连他走过的土地都是伟大的… |
[1:33:38] | His wheels. | 是轮椅压过 |
[1:33:41] | And he’s a perfect patient, he’s so funny. | 他非常配合 而且很幽默 |
[1:33:44] | When you read about him people… | 看报道里的他 还以为… |
[1:33:45] | Let’s see how he gets on, | 先看他恢复得什么样 |
[1:33:46] | shall we, Elaine? | 好吗 伊莲 |
[1:33:50] | That’s tightened up. | 那里系紧 |
[1:33:52] | As you can see, it’s height adjustable, | 你看 高度可调节 |
[1:33:55] | and we can change the angle to whatever Steve wants it at. | 角度也可以随意变换 |
[1:33:59] | – You know, it’s cutting-edge. – So, how does it work? | -这可是尖端科技 -要怎么用 |
[1:34:01] | It uses a very simple interface | 它有一个十分简单的界面 |
[1:34:03] | that scans through the alphabet | 你可以一个个字母的浏览 |
[1:34:05] | and selects each letter one at a time. | 每次选一个字母 |
[1:34:07] | I mean, using this technique, the Professor can | 用了这个设备 教授大概 |
[1:34:09] | expect to write at about four words per minute. | 每分钟可以写四个单词 |
[1:34:12] | Good! Better than one a minute. | 很好啊 总比一分钟一个要好 |
[1:34:14] | Yes, and what I’ve done is taken the components | 是啊 而且我从自动答录机里 |
[1:34:17] | from a telephone answering system, actually, | 拿了些零件 |
[1:34:19] | to convert the written text into synthesized speech. | 把文字转换成语音 |
[1:34:22] | I mean the voice sounds a little bit robotic, but… | 声音是有点像机器人 但总… |
[1:34:26] | Shall we give it a try? | 我们来试试吧 |
[1:34:27] | – Great! – Here’s the clicker. | -太棒了 -这是按钮 |
[1:34:33] | Right hand? | 右手吗 |
[1:34:41] | There you go. | 开始吧 |
[1:34:45] | Welcome to the future. | 欢迎来到未来世界 |
[1:34:52] | My name is Stephen Hawking. | 我叫斯蒂芬·霍金 |
[1:34:57] | It’s American! | 是美国口音的 |
[1:34:58] | Is that a problem? | 有问题吗 |
[1:35:00] | Oh, my goodness, well… is there another voice? | 这个…有别的选择吗 |
[1:35:05] | It’s the only one lately I have at the moment. | 目前我只有这一种 |
[1:35:07] | I think it’s great. | 真棒 |
[1:35:43] | Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do. | 黛西 黛西 告诉我你的答案 快点 |
[1:35:53] | “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” | “说实话 亲爱的 我不在乎” |
[1:36:02] | Exterminate! | 消灭 |
[1:36:04] | Exterminate! | 消灭 |
[1:36:08] | Exterminate! | 消灭 |
[1:36:18] | I will write a book. | 我要写本书 |
[1:36:22] | About what? | 关于什么的 |
[1:36:31] | – Time. – Time. | -时间 -时间 |
[1:36:43] | What is the nature of time? | 时间的本质是什么 |
[1:36:46] | Will it ever come to an end? | 时间有没有尽头 |
[1:36:49] | Can we go back in time? | 我们能不能回到过去 |
[1:36:53] | Some day these answers may seem | 也许未来 这些问题会变得 |
[1:36:55] | as obvious to us as the Earth orbiting the sun, | 像地球绕着太阳转一样平常 |
[1:37:00] | or perhaps as ridiculous as a tower of tortoises. | 抑或如乌龟塔般荒谬 |
[1:37:07] | Only time, | 唯有时间 |
[1:37:09] | whatever that may be, will tell. | 不管它是什么 才能给我们答案 |
[1:37:30] | 基普·索恩 致 斯蒂芬·霍金 剑桥大学 英国 | |
[1:37:34] | Professor? | 教授 |
[1:37:47] | – It is for a friend. – Of course it is… | -是帮我朋友订的 -当然… |
[1:37:51] | That’s what they all say. | 男人都这么说 |
[1:37:54] | You don’t have to be embarrassed in front of me, Professor. | 教授 不用在我面前不好意思 |
[1:37:58] | I know what men are like. | 我了解你们男人 |
[1:38:01] | Shall we take a look? | 我们来看看吧 |
[1:38:04] | There you go. | 来吧 |
[1:38:18] | Oh! I’m Sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:38:31] | Next one? | 翻页吗 |
[1:38:38] | What? | 怎么了 |
[1:39:21] | So I said I had long been looking for | 我说过 我一直在努力寻找 |
[1:39:24] | a model of the universe. | 适用于整个宇宙的模型[模特] |
[1:39:28] | I finally found her. | 我终于找到了她 |
[1:39:32] | I bet you did. | 可不是嘛 |
[1:39:41] | Stephen, I need to steal you, the contract’s arrived. | 史蒂芬 打扰一下 合同来了 |
[1:39:45] | Could you just give us a minute, please, Jane? | 简 能再等一小会儿吗 |
[1:39:59] | There we go. | 好啦 |
[1:40:09] | Like new. | 焕然一新 |
[1:40:39] | Who are we? Why are we here? | 我们是谁 为何存在于此 |
[1:40:44] | If ever learn this it would be | 这两个问题如果有答案 |
[1:40:45] | the ultimate triumph of the human reason, | 会是人类思想史上的重大突破 |
[1:40:48] | for then we would know the mind of God. | 因为那时 我们才真的理解了上帝 |
[1:40:52] | – Do you mean this? – Yes. | -你真这么觉得 -是的 |
[1:40:58] | – Of course. – So, you’re acknowledging Him? | -当然 -所以你承认上帝存在了 |
[1:41:07] | However. | 但是 |
[1:41:12] | “However”, what? | “但是”什么 |
[1:41:20] | Are you actually going to let me have this moment? | 你到底让不让我享受这一刻 |
[1:41:28] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[1:42:09] | I have asked Elaine to travel with me to America. | 我请伊莲陪我去美国了 |
[1:42:16] | She will look after me. | 她会照顾我的 |
[1:42:33] | Will she? | 是吗 |
[1:42:38] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:42:46] | You always use to tell me when an invitation came in. | 有人邀你去哪 你都会告诉我的 |
[1:42:51] | Another award, what can you do? | 又得奖了 我也没办法 |
[1:43:06] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:43:17] | How many years? | 多少年了 |
[1:43:25] | They said two. | 他们说只有两年 |
[1:43:30] | You’ve had so many. | 已经许多年了 |
[1:44:00] | Everything will be okay. | 一切都会好起来的 |
[1:44:21] | I have loved you. | 我爱过你 |
[1:44:32] | I did my best. | 我尽力了 |
[1:45:13] | Careful! | 小心点 |
[1:45:15] | – No, that’s staying. – All right. | -那个留下 -好的 |
[1:46:04] | Bye, Jonathan. | 乔纳森 再见 |
[1:47:26] | 斯蒂芬 霍金 | |
[1:47:34] | Professor, I love your book! | 教授 我喜欢你的书 |
[1:47:43] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:47:47] | I first met the Professor in 1963. | 我1963年第一次见到霍金教授 |
[1:47:54] | And there you are… time, where did it go? | 现在他都开始讲”时间”了 时间都去哪了 |
[1:47:58] | It has been one of the great joys of my life | 看着他挑战极限 |
[1:48:01] | to watch this man | 无论是科学上的 |
[1:48:02] | defy every expectation, both scientific and personal. | 还是医学上的 都使我倍感欣慰 |
[1:48:09] | Please welcome onto the stage my esteemed colleague, | 有请我敬爱的同事 |
[1:48:14] | my dear friend, Professor Hawking. | 我亲爱的朋友 霍金教授 |
[1:48:34] | Thank you! Could we please | 非常感谢 我们先来讨论 |
[1:48:35] | have the first preselected question, thank you. | 第一个预选问题 好吗 谢谢 |
[1:48:44] | Can you hear me? | 大家能听到吗 |
[1:48:50] | Now you are recognized everywhere. | 现在您已是名扬四海 |
[1:48:53] | How do you deal with all the attention? | 您是如何应对大家的关注的呢 |
[1:48:55] | I was stopped recently by a tourist at Cambridge | 最近 我在剑桥被一位游客拦住 |
[1:48:59] | who asked if I was the real Stephen Hawking. | 他问我是否真的是霍金 |
[1:49:03] | I replied I was not, | 我回答说我不是 |
[1:49:05] | and said the real one was much better looking. | 霍金本人比我帅多了 |
[1:49:11] | In 1979, you talked about | 1979年 您曾表示 |
[1:49:13] | the possibility of a Theory of Everything. | 有望在本世纪末 |
[1:49:15] | being discovered before the end of the century. | 发现适用万物的理论 |
[1:49:19] | I now predict that I was wrong. | 我现在预言我当时错了 |
[1:49:27] | Professor Hawking, you have said you do not believe in God. | 霍金教授 您说过您不信上帝 |
[1:49:32] | Do you have a philosophy of life that helps you? | 那您有什么实用的处世哲学吗 |
[1:50:38] | You have said you did not believe in God. | 您说过您不信上帝 |
[1:50:43] | Do you have a philosophy of life that helps you? | 那么您有什么指导您的生活哲学吗 |
[1:51:09] | It is clear that we are just an advanced breed of primates, | 我们人类也不过是高级灵长类动物 |
[1:51:13] | on a minor planet orbiting | 生活在一颗小星球上 |
[1:51:15] | around a very average star, | 绕着一颗普通的恒星转 |
[1:51:17] | in the outer suburb of one | 我们生活的银河系之外 |
[1:51:19] | among a hundred billion galaxies… | 还有上亿个星系 |
[1:51:24] | But, ever since the dawn of civilization, | 然而 自人类文明诞生以来 |
[1:51:28] | people have craved for | 人们就没有停止过 |
[1:51:29] | an understanding of the underlying order of the world. | 对世界根本规律的探索 |
[1:51:35] | There ought to be something | 宇宙的边界是什么 |
[1:51:36] | very special about the boundary conditions of the universe. | 肯定有个特别的答案 |
[1:51:42] | And what can be more special than that there is no boundary? | 但是还有比没有边界更特别的答案吗 |
[1:51:48] | And there should be no boundary to human endeavor. | 同样 人类的潜力也不会有边界 |
[1:51:54] | We are all different. | 我们都是与众不同的 |
[1:51:56] | However bad life may seem, | 无论生活多么艰辛 |
[1:51:59] | there is always something you can do, and succeed at. | 你总会有自己的方式发光 |
[1:52:04] | While there is life, there is hope. | 生命不息 希望不止 |
[1:52:28] | That came. | 这个 |
[1:52:39] | It’s from Stephen. | 是斯蒂芬的来信 |
[1:52:48] | Gosh. | 天啊 |
[1:53:09] | Your glasses are always dirty. | 你眼镜总是这么脏 |
[1:53:29] | Professor and Mrs Hawking, Her Majesty the Queen. | 霍金教授 霍金夫人 女王接见 |
[1:54:03] | Congratulations. | 恭喜你 |
[1:54:06] | My “Companion of Honor”. | 我的”荣誉伴侣” |
[1:54:11] | Not bad for an old liberal socialist. | 干得好 主张自由社会主义的老头子 |
[1:54:15] | Don’t worry, you can decline the knighthood. | 别担心 你还是可以拒绝授衔的 |
[1:54:29] | Thank you for today. | 谢谢你请我来 |
[1:54:32] | It was extraordinary. | 真的很棒 |
[1:54:35] | It’s all been rather extraordinary, though, hasn’t it? | 我们这一路一直都很棒 是吧 |
[1:54:47] | What are you writing? | 你在写什么 |
[1:55:00] | Look what we made. | 看看我们的成果 |
[1:56:41] | 《时间简史》在全球销量超过千万 虽然已经72岁了 斯蒂芬依然没有打算退休 继续探索万物理论 | |
[1:56:54] | 简拿到了西班牙诗歌的博士学位 她与乔纳森喜结连理 简和斯蒂芬依然是好朋友 现已经有三个孙辈 | |
[1:57:05] | 英国大学学位分等级 一般来说 一等学位要求均分70以上 霍金的本科三年只有一次考试 也就是毕业考试 由于紧张他发挥失常 成绩处在一等与二等的边缘 因此需要追加一次面试 |