英文名称:The Remains of the Day
年代:1993
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:22] | Dear Mr. Stevens | 亲爱的史蒂文斯先生 |
[01:24] | You will be surprised to hear from me after all this time. | 过了这么久收到我的来信 可能让你很惊讶 |
[01:28] | You’ve been in my thoughts | 自从我听闻达林顿公爵死后 |
[01:29] | ever since I heard Lord Darlington had died. | 我就一直想起你 |
[01:31] | We read in the Manchester Guardian | 我们听说他的继承人 |
[01:33] | that his heirs put Darlington Hall up for sale | 要把达林顿府邸拍卖 |
[01:36] | because they no longer wished to maintain it. | 因为他们一点也不想保留这房子 |
[01:38] | The article went on to say that | 报纸上也写道 |
[01:40] | since there were no buyers for such a large house | 既然没有人想买这样一座大宅邸 |
[01:42] | the new earl decided to demolish it | 于是新继承者决定把它拆解 |
[01:45] | and sell the stone to a local builder for 5000 pounds. | 以5000英镑的价格卖掉 |
[01:48] | We also saw some rubbish in the Daily Mail | 我也在每日邮报里看到一些 |
[01:50] | which made my blood boil | 让我颇为愤慨的报道 |
[01:52] | Traitor’s nest to be pulled down. | 反抗者的基地要被铲平了 |
[01:54] | One hundred and eighty guineas? | 180几尼 |
[01:57] | One hundred and eighty? Have we done? | 180几尼 还有其他出价吗 |
[02:01] | Ladies and gentlemen, a great highlight of the sale | 女士们 先生们 接下来是拍卖会的压轴 |
[02:04] | Lot 414 | 414号拍卖品 |
[02:07] | the fine Elizabethan portrait | 一幅伊丽莎白时代的肖像画 |
[02:10] | A Portly Gentleman. | 一个高贵的绅士 |
[02:11] | I’ll start the bidding at 2000 guineas. | 起价是2000几尼 |
[02:14] | 2000 guineas, thank you. | 2000几尼 谢谢出价 |
[02:16] | 2200 Two-two. | |
[02:18] | 2400 Two-four. | |
[02:19] | 2600 Two-six. | |
[02:20] | 2800 Two-eight. | |
[02:22] | 3000 3200 Three thousand. Three-two. | |
[02:24] | 3400 3600 Three-four. Three-six. | |
[02:26] | 3800 Three-eight. | |
[02:28] | 4000 4500 4000 guineas. Four and a half thousand. | |
[02:31] | 5000 Five thousand. | |
[02:33] | 5500 And a half. | |
[02:34] | 6000 Six thousand. | |
[02:36] | 6500 And a half. | |
[02:37] | 7000 Seven thousand. | |
[02:39] | 7500 And a half. | |
[02:40] | 8000 Eight thousand. | |
[02:42] | 8500 And a half. | |
[02:45] | 9000 Nine thousand. | |
[02:46] | 9500 And a half. | |
[02:48] | 10000 10000 guineas is bid. | |
[02:50] | 10500 And a half. | |
[02:51] | 11000 Eleven thousand. | |
[02:53] | 11500 And a half. | |
[02:54] | Against you, sir, at eleven and a half thousand guineas. | 意下如何 先生 已经11500几尼了 |
[03:01] | All done at eleven and a half thousand guineas. | 11500几尼 成交 |
[03:05] | I was very relieved to read later how an American millionaire | 我十分欣慰地得知 |
[03:09] | named Lewis saved Darlington Hall | 一位叫刘易斯的美国富翁 拯救了达林顿府 |
[03:12] | so that you wouldn’t be turned out of your home after all. | 你就不用从那里搬走了 |
[03:15] | Could him possibly be the same Congressman Lewis | 他是不是就是那个 |
[03:17] | who attended His Lordship’s conference in 1936? | 1963年获得爵位的那个国会议员刘易斯 |
[03:31] | Mr. Stevens, I so often think of the good old days | 史蒂文斯先生 我经常回忆起那些往日的美好时光 |
[03:34] | when I was the housekeeper at Darlington Hall. | 那时我还是达林顿府的管家 |
[03:37] | It was certainly hard work. | 工作很辛苦 |
[03:39] | and I certainly have known butlers easier to please than our Mr. Stevens | 我也知道 史蒂文斯先生您是一个不苟言笑的人 |
[03:44] | but those years with you were among the happiest of my life. | 但我依旧认为那些年是我一生中最快乐的时光 |
[03:52] | You must have a completely different staff now. | 现在你肯定有一帮新的手下 |
[03:55] | Not many of the old faces likely to be around anymore. | 那些老面孔应该都不在了 |
[03:57] | I don’t suppose there’s much need for the small army of footmen | 我一直觉得达林顿公爵雇的男仆太多 |
[04:02] | that Lord Darlington employed. | 没有太大必要 |
[04:19] | My own news is not very cheerful. | 我最近也不是很顺 |
[04:22] | In the 7 years since I last wrote, | 距离我上次给你写信的7年间 |
[04:24] | I have again left my husband | 我又一次离开了我的丈夫 |
[04:26] | and, sad to say, my marriage seems to be over. | 遗憾地告诉您 我的婚姻看起来是完了 |
[04:30] | I’m staying at a friend’s boarding house in Clevedon. | 我现在寄宿在克利夫顿的小旅馆那里 |
[05:03] | I don’t know what my future is. | 我不知道未来会怎样 |
[05:05] | Since Catherine, my daughter, got married last year | 自从我女儿 凯瑟琳去年结婚之后 |
[05:08] | my life has been empty. | 我的生活就变得很空洞 |
[05:10] | The years stretch before me and if only I knew how to fill them. | 我眼前一片茫然 不知如何来填补我的生活 |
[05:15] | But I would like to be useful again. | 但我很想能再度工作 |
[05:25] | -Burned again? -Yes, I’m sorry, sir. | -又烤焦了 -不好意思 先生 |
[05:29] | The rule in the kitchen has always been | 厨房里一直以来总是 |
[05:32] | cook cooks the cooked breakfast while her assistant toasts the toast. | 厨师专注于煮早餐 放任她的助手烤面包 |
[05:37] | Why don’t we get her a pop-up toaster? | 为什么不给她添置一个面包机呢 |
[05:40] | We need not a new gadget | 我们不需要这种小东西 |
[05:42] | but a revised staff plan, sir. | 而是需要一套新的人事方案 |
[05:44] | A staff plan, huh? I didn’t know we had one. | 人事方案 我们有吗 |
[05:48] | A faulty one, unfortunately. | 一套不怎么好的人事方案 |
[05:51] | Sir, quite recently | 先生 最近 |
[05:54] | you were kind enough to suggest that I go on a little holiday | 您曾建议我应该休息一下 |
[05:59] | take a trip around the country. | 到处走走 |
[06:01] | Absolutely. Certainly, take a break. See the world. | 对极了 好好放松一下 |
[06:04] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢先生 |
[06:06] | When did you last see the world, Stevens? Tell me. | 你上一次出门走访世界是什么时候 |
[06:11] | In the past, the world always used to come to this house, | 请允许我这样讲 |
[06:13] | if I may say so. | 在过去 整个世界都会聚集到这房子来 |
[06:15] | You may say so. | 确实可以这么说 |
[06:18] | Well, you shall take off when I’m in London next week. | 那么下周我去伦敦时 你就放个假吧 |
[06:21] | I tell you what, you take the car. | 车子也借给你用 |
[06:23] | -Take the Daimler. -Good Lord, sir, I couldn’t. | -那辆老戴姆勒 -先生 我不能接受 |
[06:26] | You and that Daimler belong together, Stevens. | 你跟那辆车是天生一对 史蒂文斯 |
[06:29] | You were made for each other. | 你们为彼此而生 |
[06:31] | That’s most kind of you, I must say, sir. Most kind. | 您真是太好了 先生 |
[06:35] | I had intended to travel to the West country, | 我想到西部去走走 |
[06:38] | where I understand we have splendid scenery. | 听说那里有不错的风景 |
[06:40] | And I might incidentally be able to | 也许我还能顺便去雇个人 |
[06:42] | solve our stuff problems while I’m been that part of world. | 把眼前的人事问题解决掉 |
[06:45] | A former housekeeper, at present living in Clevedon, has indicated, Sir | 前任的女管家 现在暂时住在克利夫顿 |
[06:50] | that she might be prepared to return to service. | 她有意愿回来继续工作 |
[06:53] | What’s this, your girlfriend? | 是你的女朋友 |
[06:55] | Or a former attachment? | 还是余情未了 |
[06:57] | Oh, no, sir. | 不 先生 |
[07:00] | No, but a very able housekeeper. | 她是一个非常能干的女管家 |
[07:03] | A most able housekeeper. | 非常能干 |
[07:06] | I was just kidding, Stevens. | 我开玩笑的 史蒂文斯 |
[07:08] | Sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[07:11] | You know what I like best about your papers? | 知道我最喜欢英国报纸什么地方吗 |
[07:15] | These obituaries. | 这些讣告 |
[07:17] | Every son of a gun gets this stately funeral oration. | 无论什么样的混蛋都能得到很体面的葬礼讣文 |
[07:20] | -It’s not an art we have in the States. -Indeed, sir. | -美国可没有这东西 -确实 先生 |
[07:24] | Thank you, Stevens. | 谢谢 史蒂文斯 |
[07:27] | Mr. Lewis. | 刘易斯先生 |
[08:02] | Dear Mrs. Benn | 亲爱的贝恩太太 |
[08:03] | I propose to reach Clevedon on 3rd October around 4 p. m. | 我计划于10月3日下午4点左右到达克利夫顿 |
[08:08] | I’d be grateful for a line from you | 如果您能写封信到亨格福德邮局与我联系 |
[08:10] | to reach me at the post office at Collingbourne, near Hungerford | 我将不胜感激 |
[08:15] | where I’m planning to stop. | 我准备在那里稍作停留 |
[08:24] | Mrs. Benn, I always said you possess an amazing memory. | 贝恩夫人 你一直有非常好的记忆力 |
[08:29] | Our new employer is indeed Congressman Lewis | 府邸的新主人确实是国会议员刘易斯 |
[08:32] | though he’s now retired from political life in the U.S. | 现在他已经从政治舞台退休了 |
[08:36] | He’s already taken up residence at Darlington Hall, | 他现正住在达林顿府 |
[08:38] | will soon be joined by his family. | 不久他的家人也会搬来 |
[08:41] | But I regret to say we are woefully understaffed | 我不得不说 对于这样一个大家庭 |
[08:43] | for a house this size. | 我们实在是人手不足 |
[08:46] | Mrs. Benn, will you permit me once again to sing your praises? | 贝恩夫人 下面这些话绝不是恭维 |
[08:50] | Let me state that when you left to get married | 自从你因结婚而离开这里 |
[08:53] | no housekeeper ever reached your high standard in any department. | 没有任何一个女管家能做到你那样井井有条 |
[09:09] | I well remember your first arrival in Darlington Hall. | 我还清晰记得你刚来达林顿府的时候 |
[09:12] | You came somewhat unexpectedly, | 你就这么出乎意料地来了 |
[09:14] | one might even say impulsively | 甚至可以说很贸然 |
[09:16] | while we were dead in the middle of the Charlgrove meet. | 那天我们都在忙于查格洛夫镇的聚会 |
[09:19] | That day is marked in my memory in another way as well. | 那天还有一件事让我记忆犹新 |
[09:23] | It was the last time His Lordship | 那是最后一次公爵像以前一样 |
[09:25] | was happy to welcome his neighbours, as in the old days. | 热忱欢迎他的邻居们 |
[09:28] | Of course, it had been years | 当然是由于已经好多年 |
[09:30] | since any of them had coaxed him to hunt. | 他们没有来硬拉他去打猎的关系 |
[09:33] | It was never a sport His Lordship enjoyed or approved of. | 这是公爵从来都不喜欢的运动 |
[09:58] | Good morning, Ayres. | 早上好 埃尔 |
[10:00] | My lord, nice to see you. | 公爵 很高兴见到您 |
[10:07] | Excuse me, sir. | 请用 先生 |
[10:31] | I fear I may have been a little unwelcoming, even a little short. | 可能刚开始我对你有点冷淡 甚至不近人情 |
[10:35] | You presented the best references I’ve ever seen. | 你的简历是我所见过的最优秀的 |
[10:39] | Which proved to be well-deserved. | 那也是当然的 |
[10:41] | Though, I confess, I did have my doubts, on account of your youth. | 同时 我承认 你的年轻也让我有所顾虑 |
[10:46] | No gentleman callers allowed, of course. | 绝不允许男性拜访者 |
[10:48] | Forgive my mentioning it, | 原谅我提到这一点 |
[10:50] | but we’ve had those problems of that sorts before. | 但我们以前在这方面出过事 |
[10:52] | Inside the house too. | 也是发生在宅子里 |
[10:54] | The previous housekeeper took it into a head | 之前的女管家 |
[10:56] | to run off with the under-butler. | 跟男管家助理私奔了 |
[10:58] | If two members of stuff had to fall in love and decide to get married, | 当然 如果两个员工相爱并决定结婚 |
[11:02] | there nothing one can say. | 那也无可非议 |
[11:03] | But what I do find a major irritation | 但最让我恼火的情况是 |
[11:06] | are those persons who go from post to post looking for romance. | 那些到处闲逛去追寻浪漫的员工 |
[11:12] | Housekeepers are particularly guilty here. | 女管家们在这方面特别容易陷进去 |
[11:15] | -No offense intended, of course. -None taken. | -当然不是特意针对你 -没关系 |
[11:18] | I know for my own experience how a house is at sixes and sevens | 我知道仆人们开始互相恋爱 |
[11:21] | once the staff start marrying each other. | 会让家里变得乱七八糟 |
[11:24] | Yes, indeed. | 是的 |
[11:30] | -Might I have a word, sir? -Of course. | -能跟您说句话吗 先生 -当然 |
[11:38] | My lord, it’s regarding the under-butler | 老爷 关于上个月 |
[11:41] | and the housekeeper who ran off last month. | 私奔的男副管家和女管家 |
[11:45] | Bad business. How are you managing? | 麻烦事 你处理的怎么样了 |
[11:47] | I believe I’ve found two first-rate replacements. | 我找到了两个优秀的替代者 |
[11:49] | Miss Kenton, a young woman with excellent references. | 肯顿小姐 有极优秀的工作经历 |
[11:53] | Very pleasing demeanour. Appears to be very able. | 举止得体 显得十分有管理能力 |
[11:56] | And a man with considerable experience of butler, Sir. | 还有一个经验丰富的男管家 |
[11:59] | -Older and happy to be under-butler. -Name? | -年纪大点 但乐意做男副管家 -姓什么 |
[12:03] | Stevens, sir. | 史蒂文斯 |
[12:04] | -Stevens? -Yes, sir. | -史蒂文斯 -是的 老爷 |
[12:07] | -That’s your name. -He’s my father, sir. | -这不是你的姓吗 -他是我父亲 |
[12:10] | Really? | 这样啊 |
[12:12] | Couldn’t do better. I’m sure. I’d like to see him sometime. | 再好不过了 很期待什么时候能见见他 |
[12:15] | He’s outside the door. | 他就在门外 |
[12:16] | Good. Bring him in. | 好 带他进来 |
[12:18] | Thank you, my lord. | 谢谢 老爷 |
[12:25] | Father. | 父亲 |
[12:31] | Mr. Stevens, how do you do? | 史蒂文斯先生 你好 |
[12:33] | -My lord. -Very good man here, your son. | -老爷 -你儿子是个得力管家 |
[12:36] | He serves the house well. I don’t know what we’d do without him. | 他把房子管理的很好 没了他可不行 |
[12:40] | -Proud of him? -Very proud, my lord. | -你为他骄傲吧 -非常 老爷 |
[12:42] | Quite right too. | 很对 |
[12:45] | Yes. Very glad to have you with us. | 很高兴你能来到这里 |
[12:47] | Thank you, my lord. | 谢谢 老爷 |
[12:52] | What are we at dinner tonight? 14:00? 16:00? | 今天正餐是什么时候 下午2点 4点 |
[12:55] | Twelve, sir. | 中午12点 老爷 |
[12:56] | Right. | 很好 |
[12:59] | Thank you, my lord. | 谢谢 老爷 |
[13:27] | Mr. Stevens | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[13:29] | This pitcher seems out of place here. | 这只水壶我不知道该放哪儿 |
[13:31] | Dining room. Well spotted. | 饭厅 当心别碰坏 |
[13:42] | -Hello, William, how are you? -Good day, Miss Kenton. | -你好 威廉 -日安 肯顿小姐 |
[14:27] | Mr. Stevens | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[14:28] | I thought these might brighten your parlour a little. | 我想这些能为你的会客厅增添一份光彩 |
[14:33] | Beg your pardon? | 您说什么 |
[14:35] | I thought they might cheer things up for you. | 它们能给你带来好心情 |
[14:37] | That’s very kind of you. | 您真好心 |
[14:42] | If you like, Mr. Stevens, I could bring in some more for you. | 如果您愿意 我可以多采一些来 |
[14:45] | Thank you | 谢谢 |
[14:47] | but I regard this room as my private place of work | 但是我把这间屋子当作私人工作室 |
[14:51] | and I prefer to keep distractions to a minimum. | 希望尽量少摆设一些让我分心的东西 |
[14:54] | Would you call flowers a distraction, then, Mr. Stevens? | 您怎么会认为这些花会让您分心呢 |
[14:57] | I appreciate your kindness, Miss Kenton. | 我感谢您的好意 |
[14:59] | But I prefer to keep things as they are. | 屋子还是保持原样为好 |
[15:01] | But since you are here, | 既然你在这儿了 |
[15:02] | there is a matter I wanted to mention. Just a small matter. | 有件事我想对您说 |
[15:05] | I happened to be walking past the kitchen yesterday morning | 昨天早上我正巧从厨房经过 |
[15:09] | and I heard you call to someone named William. | 听到你叫某人 威廉 |
[15:12] | May I ask who you were addressing by that name? | 请问您是在称呼哪位 |
[15:17] | Mr. Stevens, I should think I was addressing your father. | 我应该是在称呼您父亲 |
[15:21] | There are no other Williams in this house I take it. | 这里没有其他人叫威廉 |
[15:23] | True. | 是这样 |
[15:25] | May I ask you in future to address my father as Mr. Stevens? | 请您以后称呼我父亲 史蒂文斯先生 |
[15:29] | If speaking of him to a third party, you may call him | 如果是在对下属提到他时 你可以称他 |
[15:33] | Mr. Stevens Sr. to distinguish him from myself. | 史蒂文斯一世 作为与称呼我的区别 |
[15:36] | So I would be most grateful to you, Miss Kenton. | 我会很感激您这么做的 肯顿小姐 |
[15:41] | I don’t quite understand what you’re getting at. | 我不是很理解您的意思 |
[15:45] | I am the housekeeper in this house, and your father is the under-butler. | 我是这里的女管家 您父亲是副男管家 |
[15:50] | I am accustomed to addressing under-servants by their Christian names. | 我习惯用下属的名字来称呼他们 |
[15:56] | If you would stop to think for a moment, you’d realize | 请先停下 听我说 |
[16:00] | how inappropriate it is for one such as yourself to address as William | 像您这样用名字直接称呼我父亲 |
[16:04] | someone such as my father. | 是极为不合适的 |
[16:07] | It must have been very galling for your father to be called William | 想必您父亲一定觉得很难堪 |
[16:12] | by one such as myself. | 像我这样身份的人直呼其名 |
[16:14] | Miss Kenton, all I’m saying is that My father is a person from whom | 我想说的是 如果您仔细观察 |
[16:17] | if you’d observe him more, you may learn things. | 您将从他身上学到不少东西 |
[16:20] | I’m grateful for your advice, but do tell me | 我很感激您的建议 但请一定要告诉我 |
[16:23] | what things might I learn from him? | 我能从他那儿学到什么 |
[16:26] | I might point out that you’re | 请允许我指出一点 |
[16:28] | often unsure of what goes where and which item is which. | 您还不是很熟悉一些物品的摆放位置和用途 |
[16:33] | I’m sure Mr. Stevens Sr. is very good at his job | 我确信史蒂文斯一世精于他的工作职责 |
[16:37] | but I can assure you that I’m very good at mine. | 但我也向您保证 我也对于自己的工作十分擅长 |
[16:40] | -Of course. -Thank you. | -当然 -谢谢 |
[16:42] | If you will please excuse me. | 请允许我先告辞了 |
[16:48] | Oh, well. | 好吧 |
[16:58] | My compliments to cook. | 向我们的厨师致意 |
[17:00] | What a lovely piece of crackling. | 多么美味的脆皮 |
[17:04] | I’m sure you said something witty. Share it with the rest of us. | 你好像说了些有趣的话 跟大家分享一下吧 |
[17:09] | I said the sprouts is done the way I like them. | 我说这些青豆做的很棒 我很喜欢 |
[17:12] | Crisp-like, not mushy. | 很干脆 没有太硬 |
[17:14] | Sprouts are done, not is done. | 应该是很 松脆 不是很 干脆 |
[17:17] | Isn’t that right, George? | 对吧 乔治 |
[17:18] | Yes, Mr. Stevens. | 是的 史蒂文斯先生 |
[17:19] | Forgive the correction, as I would have done | 抱歉纠正你的用词 因为我在你这年纪 |
[17:23] | at your age for the sake of my education. | 十分注重养成自己的言语得当 |
[17:26] | I’m sure even you have ambitions to rise in your profession. | 我相信你也和其他人一样有志于升职 |
[17:31] | Oh, yes. I want to be a butler, to be called Mister | 是的 我也想成为一个管家 被称呼为某某先生 |
[17:35] | sit in my own pantry by my own fire, | 坐在自己的小客厅 有自己的壁炉 |
[17:38] | smoking my cigar. | 嘴上叼着雪茄 |
[17:39] | I wonder if you realize what it takes to be a great butler? | 你知道要成为一个优秀的管家最重要的是什么 |
[17:43] | Takes dignity, that’s what it takes. | 保持庄重 处乱不惊 |
[17:46] | Thank you, Mr. Stevens. Dignity, that’s right. Dignity. | 谢谢 史蒂文斯先生 重点是要处乱不惊 |
[17:51] | The definition from our quarterly The Gentlemen’s Gentleman | 绅士中的绅士 这本杂志上给出的定义是这样 |
[17:55] | A great butler must be possessed of dignity | 优秀的管家必须要做到超乎想象的处乱不惊 |
[17:57] | In keeping with his position. | 才能保住他的职位 |
[18:02] | There was this English butler in India. | 曾经在印度有一个英国管家 |
[18:06] | One day, he goes in the dining room and what’s under the table? | 一天他走到饭厅里 发现有什么东西在桌子下 |
[18:11] | A tiger. | 一只老虎 |
[18:13] | Not turning a hair, he goes straight to the drawing room. | 他面不改色地走到客厅 |
[18:18] | Excuse me, my lord. | 打扰您 老爷 |
[18:20] | And whispering, so as not to upset the ladies | 为了不打扰在场的女士 他轻声说 |
[18:23] | I’m sorry, My Lord. There appears to be a tiger in the dining room. | 餐厅里有只老虎 |
[18:27] | Perhaps His Lordship will permit use of the twelve-bores? | 请允许我用枪射杀它 |
[18:33] | They go on drinking their tea. And then, there’s three gunshots. | 他们继续用着茶 突然 三声枪响 |
[18:38] | They don’t think nothing of it. | 他们谁也没觉得奇怪 |
[18:40] | In India, they’re used to anything. | 在印度 人们对什么事都习以为常 |
[18:43] | When the butler is back to refresh the teapots | 当管家回来帮他们的茶续杯时 |
[18:47] | he says, cool as a cucumber | 他十分镇定地说道 |
[18:50] | Dinner will be served at the usual time, my lord. | 老爷 午餐将按时开始 |
[18:53] | And I am pleased to say there will be no discernible traces left | 我也向您保证 到时餐厅里会跟往常一样 |
[18:58] | of the recent occurrence by that time. | 不会留下任何异样的痕迹 |
[19:03] | I’ll repeat it. There will be no discernible traces left | 这句话 到时餐厅里会跟往常一样 |
[19:07] | of the recent occurrence by that time. | 不会留下任何异样的痕迹 |
[19:13] | Wonderful, Mr. Stevens. | 很精彩 史蒂文斯先生 |
[19:14] | Thank you, Mr. Stevens. | 谢谢 史蒂文斯先生 |
[19:15] | Wonderful story. | 精彩的故事 |
[19:17] | That’s the ideal that we should all aim for. Dignity. | 我们都该努力做到这一点 处乱不惊 |
[19:23] | It’s for you, Mr. Stevens. | 找您的 史蒂文斯先生 |
[19:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[19:26] | It’s for Mr. Stevens Sr., Mr. Stevens. | 是找史蒂文斯先生一世的 史蒂文斯先生 |
[19:29] | Thank you, Miss Kenton. | 谢谢 肯顿小姐 |
[19:33] | Mary, put Mr. Stevens Sr.’s plate with cook to keep it warm. | 玛丽 把他的盘子放到厨师那里去保温 |
[19:37] | Yes, Miss Kenton. | 是 肯顿小姐 |
[19:40] | Thank you, Miss Kenton. | 谢谢您 肯顿小姐 |
[19:41] | Not at all, Mr. Stevens. | 不用谢 史蒂文斯先生 |
[21:16] | If you’re searching for your dustpan, it is out on the landing. | 史蒂文斯先生 我看到您的扫帚在外面地上 |
[21:20] | My dustpan? | 我的扫帚 |
[21:21] | Your dustpan. You’ve left it on the landing. | 您把它放地上了 |
[21:24] | I haven’t used a dustpan. | 我没用过扫帚 |
[21:25] | Really? It must be somebody else. | 是吗 那么也许是别人的 |
[21:28] | I don’t follow you. | 我不明白你的意思 |
[21:29] | My mistake, no doubt. One of many. | 是我弄错了 脑子不好使 |
[21:38] | Morning, sir. | 早上好 先生 |
[21:51] | I’ve invited Giscard Dupont D’Ivry as the French delegate. | 我邀请了杜邦作为会议上法国的代表 |
[21:54] | He’ll never come! | 他才不会来 |
[21:56] | I just had word of his acceptance. | 他保证说会来的 |
[21:59] | Dupont is fanatically anti-German. | 杜邦十分针对德国 |
[22:01] | I remember his speech given in Geneva in 33′ | 他在33年日内瓦的演说 |
[22:04] | made me ashamed to be an ally of the French. | 让我都汗颜与法国站在同一战线 |
[22:07] | It’s not the English way of carrying on. | 这绝不是我们英国人的做派 |
[22:09] | No, it is not. | 当然 |
[22:10] | This is precisely the purpose of our conference, | 我们这次会议的目的 |
[22:12] | to discuss these matters informally | 就是要非正式地讨论国际局势 |
[22:15] | far from the to-do of an international conference | 绝不是那种国际化的死气沉沉的会议 |
[22:18] | in the friendly and relaxed | 而是友好地 放松地 |
[22:21] | atmosphere of one’s home. | 聚在某个人的家里 |
[22:25] | We may bring round the French to our point of view. | 我们可以说服法国人接受我们的观点 |
[22:28] | And that of the Germans. | 对德国人也是一样 |
[22:30] | I’m sorry to interrupt, but how can we associate with the Germans? | 不过我插一句 我们怎样来联合德国人 |
[22:35] | With the Nazi Party! They have torn up and trampled every single treaty | 那可是纳粹 他们撕毁协议又践踏公约 |
[22:39] | and are a growing threat to Europe, | 对欧洲来说是日渐增长的威胁 |
[22:42] | not to mention a brutal dictatorship. | 更别说德国的独裁统治了 |
[22:44] | My dear boy, when I was in Berlin, I saw at last a happy German people | 年轻人 我也曾去过柏林 |
[22:50] | with jobs, bread, pride in their country and love of their leader. | 看到的是衣食无忧 热爱自己国家和元首的普通人 |
[22:54] | And what about the Jews? | 那么犹太人呢 |
[23:03] | What did His Lordship wish to exchange the Chinaman in the cabinet room | 史蒂文斯先生 老爷说要把陈列室里的中国人像 |
[23:07] | with the one outside the door? | 放到大厅里来吗 |
[23:09] | -Chinaman? -Yes. | -中国人像 -是的 |
[23:11] | The Chinaman from the cabinet room is outside this door. | 原本在陈列室的中国人像就在门外大厅里 |
[23:14] | Come and see for yourself. | 您自己去看一下 |
[23:16] | I’m busy at the moment. | 我现在很忙 |
[23:18] | Will you just pop your head outside this door and see for yourself? | 就把头伸出去您亲自看一下 |
[23:22] | -I’ll look into the matter later. -You think it’s my fantasy? | -我等会再去看 -您以为我在胡诌 |
[23:26] | A fantasy on my part due to my inexperience? | 因为我缺乏经验所以就胡诌了吗 |
[23:29] | I’m busy in this room, Miss Kenton. | 我在这里的事还没忙完 肯顿小姐 |
[23:33] | I shall wait. | 那我等着 |
[23:35] | Outside. | 就在门外 |
[24:39] | Look at it! | 看 |
[24:40] | -Is that not the wrong Chinaman? -I am very busy. | -那不是原来在那儿的人像 -我很忙 |
[24:44] | Have you nothing better to do than stand around? | 您难道没有别的事可做了吗 |
[24:46] | Look at the Chinaman and tell me the truth. | 您看一下 跟我说实话 |
[24:48] | Keep your voice down. | 把声音放轻点 |
[24:50] | What would the other servants think | 其他佣人看到我们因为一个人像 |
[24:52] | of us shouting about a Chinaman? | 而大肆争吵 会怎么想 |
[24:54] | And I would ask you | 那么我就请您 |
[24:56] | to turn around and look at the Chinaman. | 转过身 看一看那个人像 |
[25:06] | It is a small mistake. | 只是犯了个小错而已 |
[25:08] | Your father is entrusted with more than he can cope with. | 您父亲的工作量超过了他的年纪所能承受的 |
[25:11] | Let me pass. | 让我过去 |
[25:13] | Your father left the dustpan on the floor. | 是您父亲把扫帚放在了楼梯上 |
[25:16] | It is he left polish on the cutlery and it is he confused the Chinaman. | 他忘记了磨刀具 又把人像搞错了 |
[25:19] | Recognize this before he commits a major error! | 在他犯下大错之前 你要认清现状 |
[25:22] | You can’t talk to me like this. | 您不能用这种语气跟我说话 |
[25:24] | I’m afraid I must, Mr. Stevens. | 恐怕我不得不这样 |
[25:26] | I’m giving you serious advice. | 我是在给您提建议 |
[25:29] | Your father should be relieved of a number of his duties | 为了他的健康 |
[25:30] | for his own good. | 必须得给他减轻一些工作量 |
[25:34] | Whatever your father once was, | 不论他曾经多么能干 |
[25:36] | he no longer has the same ability or strength. | 他现在已经没有那份精力和体力了 |
[25:39] | I thank you for your advice, Miss Kenton. | 我感谢您的建议 |
[25:42] | Perhaps now I can go about my business, Mr Stevens. | 现在我要继续做我的事了 |
[25:44] | I never meant to keep you from your business. | 我从没想过要打扰您做事 |
[25:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:53] | It’s vital that we’ve agreed a common policy before the arrival of | 我们要尽快达成一项公约 赶在 |
[25:58] | your Frenchman. What’s his name? | 在那个法国人来之前 他叫什么来着 |
[26:01] | Giscard Dupont D’Ivry. | 吉斯卡德 杜邦 |
[26:02] | We also expect the American delegate | 同时我们也将迎来美国代表 |
[26:05] | Congressman Lewis, to arrive on the same day. | 国会议刘易斯 也会在同一天到达 |
[26:08] | Who is he, this American? | 这个美国人是谁 |
[26:11] | He’s an unknown quantity. | 他是一个未知数 |
[26:12] | A young congressman from Pennsylvania. | 一个年轻的宾夕法尼亚议员 |
[26:15] | Sits on some sort of powerful Foreign Affairs Committee. | 在一些国际会议上也有崭露头角 |
[26:19] | Heir to one of those American fortunes. | 大概是某个有钱的美国佬的后裔 |
[26:22] | -Meatpacking? -Trolley cars? | -原来是卖肉的 -卖手推车的 |
[26:24] | Or dry goods? | 还是卖干货的 |
[26:26] | What are dry goods? | 干货是什么东西 |
[26:28] | Something that Americans make a lot of money in. | 反正是美国人以此赚了大钱的东西 |
[26:31] | No, I think Mr. Lewis’ fortune comes from cosmetics, actually. | 我认为刘易斯先生的财富是来源于化妆品 |
[26:41] | It’s old Mr. Stevens! | 是老史蒂文斯 |
[26:44] | Get a cushion, quickly. A blanket! | 拿个靠垫来 还有毯子 |
[26:50] | The silver! The silver! | 银器 |
[26:53] | Oh, my lord. Sorry. | 老爷 对不起 |
[26:56] | You’ll be all right. | 你会没事的 |
[26:59] | Thank you, sir. I’m sorry. What happened? | 谢谢老爷 对不起 出了什么事 |
[27:02] | -He tripped with the tray. -I saw it from the window. | -他端着盘子 被绊倒了 -我从窗内看到了 |
[27:05] | This has never happened before. | 这以前从没发生过 老爷 |
[27:07] | -May I telephone the doctor? -Yes, do. | -我可以打电话叫医生来吗 -当然 |
[27:12] | -I’m sorry. -Don’t worry. | -对不起 -别担心 |
[27:20] | Stevens. | 史蒂文斯 |
[27:27] | Your father feeling better? | 你父亲好些了吗 |
[27:29] | Yes. He’s made a full recovery, Sir. | 他完全恢复了 老爷 |
[27:31] | Good. | 很好 |
[27:32] | But | 但是 |
[27:33] | None of us wishes to see anything of that sort ever happen again, do we? | 我们都不希望那样的事再发生 对吧 |
[27:37] | I mean, your father collapsing. | 我是指你父亲摔倒这事 |
[27:39] | Indeed not, my lord. | 确实是这样 老爷 |
[27:41] | And it could happen anywhere. | 而且无论何时 无论何地 |
[27:44] | At any time. | 都可能发生 |
[27:46] | The first of the foreign delegates will be here in less than a fortnight. | 听着 第一位外国代表将在两周内到达 |
[27:51] | We are well prepared, my lord. | 我们都做了充分的准备 老爷 |
[27:53] | I’m sure you are. | 我毫不怀疑这一点 |
[27:54] | What happens within this house could have | 在这里发生的事情将 |
[27:57] | considerable repercussions on the course that Europe takes. | 对整个欧洲的命运产生影响 |
[28:01] | It means a great deal. | 这件事意义重大 |
[28:03] | And it means a great deal to me personally. | 对于我个人来讲也是十分重要 |
[28:06] | I had a German friend, Karl-Heinz Bremann. | 我有个德国朋友 卡尔·汉斯 |
[28:11] | We fought on opposite sides in the war. | 我们在战时属于敌对的两边 |
[28:14] | We always said when it was over, | 但是我们约定 等战争结束 |
[28:16] | we’d sit down and have a drink | 可以一起坐下来好好喝一杯 |
[28:18] | like gentlemen. | 像普通人一样 |
[28:21] | The Versailles Treaty made a liar of me. | 但是凡尔赛条约却让我无颜以对 |
[28:25] | Yes, a liar, Stevens. | 无颜以对 史蒂文斯 |
[28:28] | Because the terms we imposed were so harsh | 因为盟军制订的那些制裁条款太过猛烈 |
[28:30] | that Germany was finished. | 以至于整个国家的经济行将崩塌 |
[28:33] | One doesn’t do that to a defeated foe. | 对于战败国来说 不应该是这样的 |
[28:35] | Once your man’s on the canvas, that would to be end of it. | 一旦举白旗投降 就应该全部都结束 |
[28:39] | My friend Bremann was ruined by inflation. | 我那个德国朋友 被通货膨胀给害惨了 |
[28:44] | Couldn’t get a job in postwar Germany. | 在战后的德国连一份工作都找不到 |
[28:47] | Killed himself. | 于是自杀了 |
[28:50] | Shot himself in a railway carriage from Madrid to Berlin. | 在一节火车车厢里开枪自杀了 |
[28:55] | Since then, I’ve felt it my duty, my job to help Germany and to give her | 从那时候起 我便觉得有义务帮助德国并 |
[29:00] | a fair chance. | 给这个国家公平的对待 |
[29:01] | So this conference is crucial | 所以这场会议非常的关键 |
[29:03] | and we really can’t run the risk of any accidents. | 不能有任何的意外来打乱会议的秩序 |
[29:07] | Look, here’s the question, your father’s leaving us. | 你父亲的事 |
[29:10] | You’re simply being asked to reconsider his duties. | 你只要重新安排一下他的工作就行 |
[29:13] | Of course, my lord. I understand fully. | 当然 老爷 我完全明白 |
[29:16] | Good. | 很好 |
[29:18] | I’ll leave you to think about this, then, Stevens. | 那这事就交给你了 史蒂文斯 |
[29:21] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 老爷 |
[30:25] | You. | 你 |
[30:26] | Sir. | 先生 |
[30:27] | Look, I’m short-handed in the dining room tonight. | 餐厅里缺人手 |
[30:29] | I can use you in the servery. | 需要你到备餐室帮忙 |
[30:32] | -Thank you, Mr. Stevens, sir. -Smarten up. Look sharp. | -谢谢 史蒂文斯先生 -表现机灵点 |
[30:44] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[30:45] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[30:51] | I might’ve known you’d be up and ready for the day. | 我猜你肯定早起准备工作了 |
[30:54] | I’ve been up for two hours. | 我已经起床两个小时了 |
[30:57] | That’s not much sleep. | 那样睡眠会不足 |
[30:59] | It’s all the sleep I need. | 对于我 这些时间够了 |
[31:03] | I’ve come to talk to you about someting. | 我来跟你谈一谈 |
[31:06] | Talk, then. I have got all morning. | 说吧 我有一上午的时间 |
[31:09] | -I’ll come straight to the point. -Do, and be done with it. | -那我直说了 -那你就快说吧 |
[31:13] | Some of us have work to be getting on with. | 你还有好些事要做 |
[31:17] | There’s to be a very important conference in this house next week. | 下周这里要举办一个很重要的国际会议 |
[31:22] | People of great stature will be His Lordship’s guests. | 各国的政要都会来这里作客 |
[31:27] | We must all put our best foot forward. | 我们必须要做到万无一失 |
[31:30] | Because of Father’s recent accident | 鉴于父亲您最近的意外 |
[31:34] | it has been suggested that you no longer wait at table. | 建议您不用再端盘子服侍用餐了 |
[31:42] | I’ve waited at table every day | 我每天当男仆服侍用餐 |
[31:45] | for the last 54 years. | 已经做了54年了 |
[31:50] | It has also been decided that you should no longer carry heavy trays. | 您以后也不用再端那些重的盘子了 |
[31:55] | Now, here’s a revised list of your duties. | 这是一张修改过的工作清单 |
[31:58] | Look, I fell | 听着 我跌倒 |
[32:00] | because of those paving stones. | 是因为地上的石块不平整 |
[32:02] | They’re crooked. | 有凸起的石块 |
[32:05] | Why don’t you get them put right before someone else falls? | 你为何不在下一个人因此摔倒前去修整一下地面 |
[32:10] | You will read the revised list of your duties. | 您看一下修改过的工作内容 |
[32:15] | Get those stones put right. | 去把那些石块给整平了 |
[32:19] | You don’t want those gentlemen of stature breaking their necks. | 你不想让那些重要人物因此摔断脖子吧 |
[32:25] | No, indeed, I don’t. | 当然不 |
[32:44] | Mr. Stevens. | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[32:47] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[33:13] | You have what we can call a roving commission. | 接下来您的工作需要到处走 |
[33:16] | In other words, you can exercise your own judgment | 换种说法 就是最大限度地 |
[33:20] | within certain limits, of course. | 自由工作 |
[33:22] | Now, here are the mops, and here. | 这是你的拖把 |
[33:26] | -Are these me mops? -Right. Your brushes. | -这是我的拖把 -对 这是你的刷子 |
[33:29] | And me brushes? | 这是我的刷子 |
[33:32] | -And me mops. -That’s right. | -这是我的拖把 -对 |
[33:37] | What do you want me to do with them? | 你想让我用它们做什么 |
[33:40] | I think you know what to do with them, Father. | 我想你知道要怎么做 父亲 |
[33:43] | Look for dust and dirt. | 擦灰尘和污垢 |
[33:45] | If I find any dust or dirt | 如果我发现任何的灰尘和污垢 |
[33:48] | I go over them with this mop. | 我就用拖把解决掉 |
[33:50] | That’s right. | 对极了 |
[33:52] | Now, I suggest you start off | 我建议您先从 |
[33:55] | with the brasses on the doors. | 这些门把手开始 |
[33:57] | There’s that door there. Then the door that’s open. | 先那边的一扇门 然后是那边开着的那扇 |
[34:00] | And then there’s this door here | 然后那边的门 |
[34:11] | Here’s your polish. And duster. | 这是你的抛光剂和除尘掸 |
[34:14] | History could well be made under this roof over the next few days. | 接下来的一些日子 这里将会创造一段历史 |
[34:20] | Each and every one of you | 你们中的每一个人 |
[34:22] | can be proud of the role you will play on this occasion. | 都该为自己在这段时间中的付出感到自豪 |
[34:27] | Imagine yourself the head of a battalion | 想象自己身在军队的最前沿 |
[34:30] | even if it is only filling the hot-water bottles. | 即使你只是在往水壶倒热水 |
[34:35] | Each one has his own particular duty | 每个人的工作都有价值 |
[34:37] | or her particular duty, as the cap fits. | 你们各有所长的价值 |
[34:41] | Polished brass, brilliant silver, | 给铜器抛光 把银器擦亮 |
[34:43] | mahogany shining like a mirror. | 把红木擦得像镜子一般能映出形状 |
[34:46] | That is the welcome we will show these foreign visitors | 这是对这些外国来客最好的欢迎 |
[34:49] | to let them know they are in England | 让他们知道 这是在英国 |
[34:52] | where order and tradition still prevail. | 在这里秩序和传统仍然是不变的主流 |
[35:25] | Thank you, Brian. | 谢谢 布莱恩 |
[35:55] | My Lord. | 老爷 |
[35:57] | Mr. Lewis, the American gentleman has arrived. | 老爷 那个美国人刘易斯先生到了 |
[35:59] | He was expected tomorrow. What have you done with him? | 他本该明天才到 你怎么安排他的 |
[36:03] | Mr. Lewis has been shown upstairs, My Lord. | 已经把刘易斯先生带到楼上房间了 |
[36:07] | Oh,Stevens, | 史蒂文斯 |
[36:09] | My godson, Cardinal, tells me he shortly becoming engaged to be married. | 我的教子 卡迪纳尔 最近告诉我要结婚了 |
[36:12] | Indeed, sir. I offer my congratulations. | 真好 老爷 恭喜您 |
[36:15] | Thank you, Stevens. | 谢谢 史蒂文斯 |
[36:19] | I feel very responsible for the boy. | 我自认对这个孩子责任很重 |
[36:21] | He is my godson, and his father was my closest friend, as you know. | 你知道他父亲是我最好的朋友 让我当这孩子的教父 |
[36:26] | And now that he’s gone, well I | 现在他去世了 |
[36:28] | I feel in place of a father to the boy. | 我感觉自己就像是他父亲一样 |
[36:32] | I’ve appointed him as my secretary at the conference. | 我任命他在会议上作我的秘书 |
[36:35] | He’s been jolly thorough in helping me to prepare. | 他很高兴地帮助我做准备 |
[36:46] | I realize this is a somewhat irregular thing to ask you to do. | 我也知道拜托你的这件事 有点不合规矩 |
[36:51] | I’d be glad to be of any assistance, My Lord. | 我很高兴能帮上您的忙 |
[36:54] | I’m sorry to bring up the thing like this | 我很不好意思说起这事 |
[36:56] | but I just can’t see how on earth to make it go away. | 但是这事一直萦绕在我心头 |
[37:01] | You are familiar with the facts of life? | 你对大自然基本原理知识很熟悉 对吧 |
[37:03] | -My lord? -The facts of life, Stevens. | -什么 -大自然基本原理 |
[37:06] | Birds, bees. You are familiar, aren’t you? | 鸟儿啊 蜜蜂啊等等 你很熟悉 对吧 |
[37:11] | I’m afraid I don’t quite follow you. | 我不太理解老爷您的意思 |
[37:13] | Let me put my cards on the table, Stevens. | 那我说的直白一点 |
[37:16] | I’m so busy with this conference. Of course, you are very busy too | 最近我忙于准备这次会议 当然你也很忙 |
[37:20] | but someone has to tell him. | 但是必须得有人教教他 |
[37:23] | In a way, it would be easier for you. | 某种程度上 由你去说可能更轻松 |
[37:26] | Less awkward. | 不那么尴尬 |
[37:28] | I’d find the task rather daunting, I’m afraid. | 我一直羞于跟他开口说这事 |
[37:31] | I might not get to it before Reginald’s wedding day. | 可能到他结婚那天都不会说出口 |
[37:35] | Of course, this goes far beyond the call of your duty, Stevens. | 当然这远超出了你的职责范围 |
[37:43] | I shall do my best, My Lord. | 我会尽全力的 老爷 |
[37:45] | I’d be grateful if you’d try. It’d be a lot off my mind. | 谢谢你帮我 让我放心许多 |
[37:49] | There’s no need to make a song and dance of it. | 这事说的时候没必要手舞足蹈 |
[37:51] | Just convey the basic facts. You’ve been done with it. | 就把该怎么做说出来就好 |
[38:12] | God! Stevens! | 吓死我了 史蒂文斯 |
[38:15] | Sorry. Most sorry, sir | 抱歉 太抱歉了 先生 |
[38:16] | but I do have something to convey to you rather urgently. | 我有些重要的事向您转达 |
[38:20] | If I may be permitted, I’ll come to the point. | 可以的话 我就直说了 |
[38:23] | Perhaps you noticed this morning the ducks and the geese by the pond? | 不知你注意到了今天早晨池塘边的鸭子和鹅了吗 |
[38:28] | Ducks and geese? No, I don’t think so. | 鸭子和鹅 我没怎么注意到 |
[38:32] | Well, perhaps the birds and the flowers, then | 或者鸟儿 花朵 |
[38:36] | or the shrubs, the bees | 或是灌木 蜜蜂 |
[38:39] | I’ve not seen any bees. | 我一个蜜蜂也没看到 |
[38:41] | It’s not the best time to see them, sir. | 现在不是最好的季节说这些 |
[38:44] | What, the bees? | 什么 蜜蜂 |
[38:46] | What I’m saying is that, with the arrival of spring | 我想说的是 随着春天的到来 |
[38:50] | we shall see a most remarkable and profound change | 我们将会看到周围的环境会产生 |
[38:55] | in all these surroundings, sir. | 显著的巨大变化 |
[38:56] | I’m sure that’s right. I’m sure the grounds are not at their best now. | 你说的对 现在这庭院确实没什么风景可看 |
[39:01] | I wasn’t paying attention to the glories of nature | 不过我不是在欣赏这庭院的自然风光 |
[39:04] | because it’s worrying | 因为我是在担心 |
[39:06] | Dupont D’Ivry has arrived in a foul mood, the last thing anyone wants. | 那个杜邦来的时候脸色很差 这是谁也不想的 |
[39:11] | Mr. Dupont D’Ivry has arrived? | 杜邦先生已经来了 |
[39:13] | Half an hour ago, in a really foul mood. | 半小时前 脸色很差 |
[39:15] | In that case, excuse me. I’d better go and attend to him, sir. | 这样的话 不好意思 我最好先去看看 |
[39:20] | Right you are. It was kind of you to talk to me. | 很高兴跟你谈话 |
[39:23] | Not at all. | 不客气 |
[39:25] | In fact, I do have one or two words more to convey on the topic of | 我还有一些话想传达给你 |
[39:27] | as you put it most admirably, sir | 关于如您说所的 |
[39:30] | the glories of nature. | 大自然的风光 |
[39:32] | But it must wait for another occasion, sir. | 但似乎得另找时间了 |
[39:34] | I’ll look forward to it. But I’m more of a fish man myself. | 我很期待下次谈话 但我更喜欢谈论钓鱼 |
[39:38] | -Fish? -I know all about fish. | -鱼 -我非常喜欢钓鱼 |
[39:40] | Freshwater and salt. | 淡水鱼和海水鱼 |
[39:42] | All living creatures would be relevant to our discussion, sir. | 所有的生物对于我们的话题都是有意义的 |
[39:46] | Excuse me. I had no idea that Monsieur Dupont D’Ivry had arrived. | 抱歉 我不知道杜邦先生已经到了 |
[39:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:03] | May I be of assistance, sir? | 有什么可以效劳的 先生 |
[40:05] | Oh, the butler. | 太好了 是管家 |
[40:07] | I have sore feet, so I need a basin with warm water and salts, please. | 我的脚发炎了 请给我一盆热水和盐 |
[40:12] | I’ll arrange that with the housekeeper, sir. | 我会去找女管家安排的 先生 |
[40:16] | Warm water and salts as soon as possible. | 热水和盐 尽快 |
[40:23] | How do you do? But I speak English. | 你好 我也会说英语 |
[40:25] | Good. That’s lucky for me. | 好极了 我很幸运 |
[40:27] | I’m Jack Lewis, the U.S. delegate. | 我是杰克·刘易斯 美国的代表 |
[40:30] | Could we speak privately as soon as possible? | 我们能私下谈谈吗 |
[40:32] | Yes, of course. | 当然 |
[40:33] | But for the moment I have blisters | 但是因为他们强迫我去观光 |
[40:36] | due to some sightseeing they made me do in London. | 弄的我脚底全是水泡 |
[40:39] | You know I had already seen the Tower of London. | 知道吗 我之前早就看过伦敦塔了 |
[40:42] | I’ve discovered that things are not moving | 我发现事情并没有如我预料的 |
[40:46] | in a direction that I think you would approve of. | 向您所希望的方向发展 |
[41:44] | German rearmament is a fact to be accepted. | 重整德国军备需要被大家所认可 |
[41:48] | It’s in our own interest to have a free and equal Germany. | 我们都希望看到的是一个自由和平等的德国 |
[41:51] | In stead of a prostrate nation | 而不是一个被 |
[41:53] | upon whom an unfair peace treaty was imposed 16 years ago. | 16年前的不平等条约压垮的德国 |
[41:57] | Those who’ve been in Germany | 那些像我一样曾去过德国的在座各位 |
[41:59] | can only thrill, as I have, to the signs of rebirth. | 应该感到激动 因为我们看到了德国重生的希望 |
[42:05] | to assist Germany in her virile struggle for economic recovery | 为了帮助德国恢复国内经济 |
[42:09] | including support for her fair demand for equality of armaments | 包括提供日常补给和相当的军备 |
[42:14] | and universal military service for German youth. | 以及对德国青年提供全球性的兵役政策 |
[42:18] | If we, in postwar Europe | 如果我们 在战后的欧洲 |
[42:21] | I need more water. I need another basin to bathe my feet. | 再给我弄一盆水泡脚 |
[42:27] | Follow me, sir. | 跟我来 先生 |
[42:38] | -We have to talk. -This way, sir. | -我们必须得谈谈 -这边请 先生 |
[42:52] | My friend, I am in agony. | 我的朋友 我现在很痛 |
[42:54] | Too tight shoes. I blame myself. | 鞋子太紧了 都怪我自己 |
[42:57] | Vanity. | 虚荣心 |
[43:00] | We must do some fast maneuvering to restrain the Germans. | 我们必须得做些什么来制约德国 |
[43:05] | Please come this way, gentlemen. | 请这边请 先生们 |
[43:16] | Butler, please, could you help me with my feet-shoe? | 管家 你可以帮我把鞋子脱下吗 |
[43:20] | -Yes, of course. -Take it off. | 当然 |
[43:22] | What they said about equality of arms for Germany, military service | 你也听到他们说的关于等量的军备和军事设施 |
[43:26] | Mr. Stevens. | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[43:27] | What? Yes? | 什么 |
[43:28] | -Sorry, sir. -I’ll manage. | -抱歉 先生 -我去去就来 |
[43:30] | What? | 什么事 |
[43:37] | Your father’s been taken ill, sir. | 您父亲病了 先生 |
[43:40] | -Where? -Outside the Chinese bedroom, sir. | -他在哪里 -在中式卧室门外 |
[43:43] | Germany wants peace as much as we do. She needs peace. | 德国跟我们一样也在寻求和平 |
[43:48] | Here, let me help you with that. | 让我来帮你 |
[43:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[44:08] | Thank you, Charles. | 谢谢 查尔斯 |
[44:11] | Take a basin of hot water and salts | 去准备一盆热水和盐 |
[44:14] | to Mr. D’Ivry in the billiards room. Is that understood? | 给台球室里的杜邦先生送去 清楚了没 |
[44:18] | -Yes, Mr. Stevens. -Good. Do it. | -是的 史蒂文斯先生 -很好 去吧 |
[44:40] | Father? | 父亲 |
[45:25] | Mr. Stevens. | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[45:25] | Yes? | 什么事 |
[45:26] | I have more time than you to look after him. | 我比你更有时间来照看你父亲 |
[45:29] | I’ve called the doctor. | 我已经叫了医生 |
[45:30] | Thank you, Miss Kenton. | 谢谢 肯顿小姐 |
[45:43] | Your father’s not so good, I’m afraid. | 恐怕你父亲不太好 |
[45:46] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[45:48] | If he deteriorates, call me, will you? | 如果病情恶化 请通知我 |
[45:51] | How old is he? 70, 72? | 他多大了 70还是72 |
[45:53] | -75, sir. -I see. | -75 -我明白了 |
[45:55] | Well as I say, if he deteriorates, let me know. | 病情恶化就通知我 |
[45:57] | I will, sir. Thank you, doctor. | 我会的 谢谢医生 |
[46:30] | More haste, less speed. | 稳当一点 别太快 |
[46:53] | There’s something missing. | 缺了什么东西 |
[46:56] | What is it? | 什么东西 |
[46:57] | -The spoon from the cruet set, sir. -Good. | -佐料架上的调羹 生生 -很好 |
[47:01] | Well observed. | 看的很仔细 |
[47:03] | Now, never touch the lip of the glass. | 不要去碰杯子的杯沿 |
[47:09] | Good. | 很好 |
[47:15] | Glass first, and then | 先放杯子 然后 |
[47:23] | Is everything in hand downstairs? | 楼下一切都好吗 |
[47:27] | We’re preparing the dinner. It’s the last dinner of the conference. | 我们在准备会议期间的最后一顿晚餐 |
[47:31] | You can imagine the kitchen. | 你可以想象到厨房手忙脚乱的样子 |
[47:33] | But is everything in hand? | 但是一切都在掌握中吗 |
[47:36] | Yes, I think we’re up to scratch. | 是的 情况良好 |
[47:38] | How are you feeling? Are you feeling any better? | 你觉得好些了吗 |
[47:44] | There’s something I have to tell you. | 有些事我要告诉你 |
[47:48] | I have so much to do, father. Why don’t we talk in the morning? | 我有很多事要忙 明早再说吧 |
[47:52] | Jim | 吉姆 |
[47:55] | I fell out of love with your mother. | 我不爱你的母亲 |
[47:59] | I loved her once. | 我曾经爱过她 |
[48:02] | The love went out of me when I found her carrying on. | 当我不再爱她的时候发现 |
[48:10] | A good son. | 她怀孕了 |
[48:13] | Proud of you. | 但是我以你为傲 |
[48:17] | I hope I’ve been a good father. | 我希望自己是个好父亲 |
[48:22] | I tried me best. | 我尽力了 |
[48:34] | You better get down there | 你现在最好下去了 |
[48:37] | or heaven only knows what they’ll be up to. | 否则他们会乱成一锅粥的 |
[48:54] | Go on. | 去吧 |
[48:57] | Go on! | 去吧 |
[49:01] | We’ll talk in the morning. | 我早上再来看你 |
[49:18] | On the last day of our conference | 在我们会议的最后一天 |
[49:21] | permit me to say how impressed I have been | 请允许我表达诚挚的谢意 |
[49:25] | with the spirit of goodwill that has prevailed. | 感谢在座各位所表现出的友善 |
[49:31] | Goodwill for Germany. | 同时也是也是对德国的友善 |
[49:33] | And with tears in my eyes | 让我感动得几乎流泪的是 |
[49:36] | I see that everyone here has recognized | 我看到了各位都公认了 |
[49:39] | our right to be, once again, a strong nation. | 我们德国再一次屹立于强国之林 |
[49:45] | With my hand on my heart, I declare | 我从心底里想对大家说 |
[49:48] | that Germany needs peace | 德国需要和平 |
[49:50] | and desires only peace. | 渴望和平 |
[49:54] | Peace with England | 与英国的和平 |
[49:57] | and peace with France. | 还有与法国的和平 |
[50:05] | Thank you very much. | 非常感谢 |
[50:12] | I, too, have been impressed | 我也同样被感动了 |
[50:15] | yes, deeply impressed | 是的 深深地被感动了 |
[50:18] | by the genuine desire for peace manifested at this conference. | 被会议上这种渴望和平的真诚的心所打动 |
[50:24] | Unlike our American colleague | 不像我们的美国同盟 |
[50:26] | we in Europe know the horrors of war. | 我们欧洲人深知战争的恐怖 |
[50:30] | And whether we are French or English or Italian or German | 不论我们是法国人 英国人 意大利人或是德国人 |
[50:35] | our one desire is to never have to experience them again. | 我们共同的愿望都是不想再次经历战争的伤痛 |
[50:40] | Indeed. | 确实是这样 |
[50:41] | Impressed, or I may say touched | 让我印象深刻 或者说是被感动的是 |
[50:45] | by the words of goodwill and friendship I have heard | 大家的表现出的善意和友谊 |
[50:49] | I promise you that I shall do my utmost | 我向大家承诺 我会尽我最大的努力 |
[50:52] | to change the policy of my country | 来转变我国对德国的政策 |
[50:55] | towards that nation which was once our foe | 虽然她曾是一个战败国 |
[50:58] | but is now, I may venture to say | 但是现在 我敢于说 |
[51:00] | our friend. | 她是我们的朋友 |
[51:20] | Ladies and gentlemen | 女士们先生们 |
[51:22] | the United States doesn’t want war any more than you do. | 美国跟各位一样也不想要战争 |
[51:27] | On the other hand, neither do we want peace at any price | 但是另一方面 我们也不想用任何的代价来换取和平 |
[51:30] | because some prices, you may find | 因为有些所谓的代价 |
[51:33] | are too outrageously high to pay. | 无比巨大 |
[51:36] | But let’s not get into that now. We may have to soon enough. | 但是先不说这些 不久就知道了 |
[51:40] | For the moment, let us raise our glasses to Lord Darlington | 现在 让我们举起酒杯敬达林顿公爵 |
[51:44] | in gratitude for his magnificent hospitality. | 感谢他的热情好客 |
[51:59] | Lord Darlington | 达林顿公爵 |
[52:01] | Lord Darlington is a classic English gentleman of the old school. | 达林顿公爵是一个老派的英国绅士 |
[52:06] | Decent and honorable and well-meaning. | 体面 受人尊敬 非常好心 |
[52:10] | So are all of you. All decent, honorable and well-meaning gentlemen. | 在座各位也都是体面 受尊敬 好心的绅士 |
[52:15] | It’s a pleasure and a privilege for me to visit with you here. | 非常荣幸能在这里遇到各位 |
[52:19] | But | 但是 |
[52:20] | now, excuse me, I have to say this | 很抱歉这么说 |
[52:23] | you are, all of you, amateurs. | 你们都是业余的 |
[52:27] | And international affairs should never be run by gentlemen amateurs. | 国际政治事务不该由你们这样的绅士来管理 |
[52:31] | Do you have any idea of what sort of a place | 你们一点也不知道 |
[52:33] | the world is becoming all around you? | 这个世界正在变成什么样 |
[52:37] | The days when you could act out of noble instincts are over. | 用你们高尚的作派来管理的世界已经不复存在了 |
[52:40] | Europe has become the arena of Realpolitik, the politics of reality. | 欧洲现在是权利政治的舞台 是现实的政治 |
[52:45] | If you like, real politics. | 不管你喜不喜欢 是真正的政治 |
[52:49] | What you need is not gentlemen politicians, | 你们要讨论的不是像理想化的政治 |
[52:52] | but real ones. | 而是现实世界中的政治 |
[52:53] | You need professionals to run your affairs, | 你们需要专家来出谋划策 |
[52:56] | or you’re headed for disaster. | 否则你们只会引致灾难 |
[52:58] | So I propose a toast, gentlemen | 绅士们 请举杯 |
[53:01] | to the professionals. | 向我们的专家致敬 |
[53:12] | Well, I’ve no wish to enter into a quarrel | 我不希望大家在相聚的最后一晚 |
[53:15] | on our last evening together. | 陷入争论之中 |
[53:17] | But let me say this. What you describe as amateurism | 但是让我说一句 你所描述的业余政治家 |
[53:22] | is what I think most of us here still prefer to call honour. | 是我们在场的所有人都引以为傲的 |
[53:27] | Miss Kenton would like to see you concerning your father. | 肯顿小姐想对你说句话 关于您的父亲 |
[53:32] | I suggest that your professionalism means greed and power | 我猜您的专业 更意味着贪婪和权利 |
[53:36] | rather than to see justice and goodness prevail in the world. | 而不是这个世界所需要的正义和公平 |
[53:41] | I’ve never concealed from myself that what we were asking of Germany | 我毫不保留地告诉各位 |
[53:45] | is a complete break from the tradition of this country. Thank you. | 这是我们国家的传统 谢谢 |
[53:59] | Miss Kenton. | 肯顿小姐 |
[54:02] | Mr. Stevens, I’m very sorry. | 史蒂文斯先生 我很抱歉 |
[54:05] | Your father passed away four minutes ago. | 您父亲几分钟前过世了 |
[54:08] | Oh, I see. | 我明白了 |
[54:11] | I’m so very sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[54:14] | I wish there was something I could say. | 我希望能说些什么来安慰您 |
[54:18] | Will you come up and see him? | 您能上楼去看看他吗 |
[54:20] | Well, I’m very busy at the moment, Miss Kenton. In a little while, perhaps. | 我现在很忙 也许过一会能去看看 |
[54:25] | In that case, will you permit me to close his eyes? | 这样的话 请允许我合上他的双眼 |
[54:29] | I would be most grateful. Thank you. | 实在感激不尽 谢谢 |
[54:40] | My father would wish me to carry on. I can’t let him down. | 我父亲肯定希望我把工作做好 我不能让他失望 |
[54:45] | No. Of course. | 是的 当然 |
[56:03] | I’d really like to continue our little chat sometime. | 我很想继续那次的谈话 |
[56:06] | About nature. | 关于大自然 |
[56:08] | You’re right. I should come back when everything’s burgeoning. | 你是对的 我应该在万物复苏的时候回来看看 |
[56:12] | Yes, sir. Indeed. | 是的 先生 |
[56:14] | As I said before, my main interest has always been in fish. | 我之前说过 我最大的兴趣是钓鱼 |
[56:18] | When I was small, I kept tropical fish in a tank. | 我小时候在鱼缸里养了一条热带鱼 |
[56:22] | I harboured quite a passion for them. | 我非常狂热地爱好它们 |
[56:25] | I’ll have another drop of that, if you don’t mind. | 再给我倒一点酒吧 |
[56:29] | You all right? | 你还好吧 |
[56:31] | Yes. I’m perfectly all right. Thank you. | 我非常好 |
[56:33] | Not feeling unwell? | 没有觉得不舒服吗 |
[56:35] | No, sir. A little tired, perhaps. | 没有 先生 只是有点累了 |
[56:58] | Wonderful! | 太美妙了 |
[57:00] | What a beautiful example of German culture you’ve brought to this house. | 您带来的德国音乐真是太美妙了 |
[57:05] | Very nice. | 您唱的很好 |
[57:08] | I just want to say I hope there’s no hard feelings. | 但愿我没有让您难堪 |
[57:10] | Oh, my dear good chap. | 我亲爱的伙伴 |
[57:12] | I like a good, clean fight. | 真想跟你好好地干一架 |
[57:14] | Giving as good as one gets, what? | 打人的和被打的都能乐呵呵的 |
[57:16] | I have the greatest respect for the English. I love it here. | 我十分尊崇英国这个国家 我非常热爱这里 |
[57:20] | My family brought us here as kids, so I feel at home. | 我小时候跟家里人来过这儿 所以感觉像在家里一样 |
[57:24] | Anyway, thank you. | 不管怎样 谢谢 |
[57:26] | Excuse me. | 失陪 |
[57:28] | You all right, Stevens? | 你没事吧 |
[57:31] | Yes, perfect, my lord. | 非常好 老爷 |
[57:35] | You coming down with a cold or something? | 你着凉了还是怎么了 |
[57:39] | It’s been a long day. | 只是一天下来比较累 |
[57:40] | It’s been a hard day for both of us. | 对你我来说都是累人的一天 |
[57:43] | Well done. | 你做的很好 |
[57:45] | Thank you,sir. | 谢谢 |
[58:12] | My condolences. | 请节哀 |
[58:14] | It was a stroke. A severe stroke. He wouldn’t have suffered much pain. | 一次严重的中风 他没有遭受太多的痛苦 |
[58:19] | Thank you for telling me. | 谢谢您告知我 |
[58:44] | There’s a distinguished foreign gentleman in the billiard room | 有个外国先生正好身体不适 |
[58:49] | in need of attention. | 需要您去看一下 |
[58:51] | Urgent? | 很紧急吗 |
[58:52] | His feet. | 他的脚 |
[58:54] | Feet? | 脚 |
[58:58] | -I’ll take you to him. -If it’s urgent. | -我带您去见他 -但愿是很紧急 |
[59:02] | It is urgent. The gentleman is in pain. | 非常紧急 这位先生处于疼痛之中 |
[59:07] | My condolences. | 请节哀 |
[59:08] | Thank you. That is most kind of you. | 谢谢 肯顿小姐 您真是非常好心 |
[59:46] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[59:48] | My name is Stevens. I’m hoping there’s a letter for me. | 我叫史蒂文斯 我来取我的信 |
[59:52] | -I’ll just check for you, sir. -James Stevens. | -我帮您找找 -詹姆斯·史蒂文斯 |
[59:57] | -I’d like two apples, please. -There you are, Mr. Stevens. | -我还想要两个苹果 -给您 史蒂文斯先生 |
[1:00:01] | You are touring in these parts? | 您是在旅游吗 |
[1:00:03] | I’m on my way to Clevedon. | 我正在去克利夫顿的路上 |
[1:00:05] | -How much is that? -That’ll be threepence, please. | -多少钱 -三便士 |
[1:00:08] | And you’d be coming from ? | 您是哪里来的 |
[1:00:11] | -Oxfordshire. -Whereabouts? | -牛津郡 -靠近什么地方 |
[1:00:13] | -Sorry? -Whereabouts in Oxfordshire? | -什么 -靠近牛津郡的什么地方 |
[1:00:16] | Darlington. | 达林顿 |
[1:00:17] | That rings a bell. Wasn’t there a Lord Darlington? Some sort | 好像有点耳熟 是不是有个达林顿公爵 |
[1:00:21] | of Nazi, got us in the war? | 是个纳粹 把英国带进了二战的 |
[1:00:24] | I’m the butler there, and my employer | 我是那里的管家 我的雇主是 |
[1:00:27] | is Mr. Lewis, an American gentleman. | 刘易斯先生 一位美国绅士 |
[1:00:32] | I have no aquaintance about the former owner. | 我对前一任屋主不熟 |
[1:00:35] | Your change. | 您的找零 |
[1:00:57] | I should be glad to meet you at the Sea View Hotel, opposite the pier. | 我在海景饭店订了位子 就在码头对面 |
[1:01:02] | We’ll have such a lot to talk about, | 我们真是有太多要谈论了 |
[1:01:04] | and I’ll have many questions to ask you. | 我也有很多的问题 |
[1:01:06] | Ex cept for you, I’ve lost touch with all our friends at Darlington Hall. | 除了您之外 我跟达林顿府上的朋友都失去了联系 |
[1:01:11] | But that’s no wonder. | 但这是毫无疑问的 |
[1:01:12] | It was long ago and a lot has happened in between. | 过了这么多年 发生了这么多事 |
[1:01:16] | Who could keep track of all the people His Lordship once employed? | 怎么可能跟所有人都保持联系呢 |
[1:01:21] | My lord, you rang? | 老爷您找我 |
[1:01:22] | Have the young German ladies arrived? | 年轻的德国女士到了吗 |
[1:01:24] | Yes. Lord. They’re just outside. | 是的 她们在外面 |
[1:01:26] | I’d like to say hello to them, practise my German. | 我想跟她们问个好 练练我的德语 |
[1:01:29] | -They do speak excellent English. -Good. Well, ask them to come in. | -她们的英语也说的很好 -很好 叫她们进来 |
[1:01:46] | This is Elsa and this is Irma. | 这是艾尔莎 这是厄尔玛 |
[1:01:51] | I’m asking if they had a good journey. | 我在询问她们的旅途是否顺利 |
[1:01:56] | It was long, my lord. | 路途很长 老爷 |
[1:02:03] | I asked what they think about the weather. | 我问她们是否喜欢这里的天气 |
[1:02:05] | We are grateful to you, my lord, for letting us come here. | 我们很感激您 能让我们来这里 |
[1:02:10] | Our parents are very grateful. | 我们的父母非常感激您 |
[1:02:13] | Not at all. Miss Kenton will look after you. | 不用客气 肯顿小姐会照顾好你们的 |
[1:02:16] | -Would you? -Indeed, my lord. | -对吧 -当然 老爷 |
[1:02:18] | Welcome to Darlington Hall. | 欢迎来到达林顿府 |
[1:02:22] | -Thank you, my lord. -Thank you, my lord. | 谢谢 老爷 |
[1:02:26] | Will there be anything else? | -还有别的事吗 -没了 |
[1:02:54] | Sir Geoffrey. | 杰弗瑞先生 |
[1:02:57] | Good to see you. | 很高兴见到您 |
[1:02:59] | How do you do? | 您好 |
[1:03:01] | Well, come in. | 请进 |
[1:03:03] | -Mr. Benn. -Mr. Stevens. | -班恩先生 -史蒂文斯先生 |
[1:03:06] | Gentlemen, if you’d like to wait here for a while. | 先生们 在这里等一会 |
[1:03:15] | Mr. Benn. | 班恩先生 |
[1:03:15] | Miss Kenton. | 肯顿小姐 |
[1:03:17] | Aren’t you still at Stanton Lacey? | 您不是在史丹顿府吗 |
[1:03:19] | I’m with Sir Geoffrey now. | 我现在是杰弗瑞爵士的管家 |
[1:03:22] | -You haven’t changed one bit. -Thank you. I’ll let you get on. | -您一点也没变 -您上去吧 |
[1:03:25] | -Perhaps we’ll meet later. -I hope so. | -有机会再聊 -期待如此 |
[1:03:30] | But, gentlemen, you speak of Jews and Gypsies, Negroes and so forth. | 先生们 你们谈论着犹太人 吉普赛人 黑人等等 |
[1:03:35] | But one has to regard the racial laws of the Fascists | 但是你们也该看到法西斯的种族法律 |
[1:03:39] | as a sanitary measure, much overdue, in my opinion. | 也是一种公共卫生措施 在我看来 |
[1:03:43] | Imagine trying to enforce such a rule in this country | 想象如果要在这个国家推行这样的法令 |
[1:03:46] | You cannot run a country without a penal system. | 没有一套刑罚体系是不可能的 |
[1:03:50] | Here we call them prisons. | 在这里我们称之为监狱 |
[1:03:52] | There, they call them concentration camps. | 那里他们称之为集中营 |
[1:03:56] | Stevens, is there any meat of any kind in this soup? | 史蒂文斯 这汤里有什么肉吗 |
[1:03:58] | I think it’s mushroom stock, sir. | 这是蘑菇汤料 先生 |
[1:04:01] | Mushroom ends and skins, onion and celery. No meat at all. | 蘑菇 洋葱以及芹菜 完全没有肉 |
[1:04:05] | Cold water, and then cook adds sherry. | 煮的时候加了点雪利酒 |
[1:04:08] | I hear you have a Labour fellow from your constituency. | 我听说您的选区里有工党派人士 |
[1:04:12] | Over there, they’ve got rid of all that trade union rubbish. | 但是在德国 他们已经摆脱了工会的束缚 |
[1:04:17] | Believe me, no workers strike in Germany. | 没有一个工人会在德国搞罢工 |
[1:04:21] | And everyone’s kept in line. | 每个人都十分遵守秩序 |
[1:04:23] | No wonder this country is going down the drain. | 难怪我们的国家在走下破路 |
[1:04:26] | It is internally diseased. | 是从内部蔓延出来的问题 |
[1:04:29] | Stevens, I think there may be butter in the croutons. Do you know? | 面包块里有黄油 你知道吗 |
[1:04:32] | I’m afraid there may be, sir. | 恐怕是的 |
[1:04:45] | You’ve made a cozy little nest here. | 你这里还蛮舒适的 |
[1:04:48] | Seems to me, Stevens, you must be a well-contented man. | 在我看来 你是个十分心满意足的人 |
[1:04:53] | In my philosophy, Mr. Benn | 在我看来 贝恩先生 |
[1:04:56] | a man cannot call himself well-contented | 人不能自诩心满意足 |
[1:04:59] | until he has done all he can | 直到他尽自己所能 |
[1:05:01] | to be of service to his employer. | 为雇主做到应尽之事 |
[1:05:03] | This assumes that one’s employer | 当然 这要基于这个雇主 |
[1:05:06] | is a superior person not only in rank or wealth | 不仅在地位和财富上更优越 |
[1:05:10] | but in moral stature. | 在道德层面也要有高的品格 |
[1:05:12] | And in your opinion, what’s going on up there has moral stature? | 那您怎么看 楼上那帮 品格高尚之人 |
[1:05:16] | I wish I could be sure. | 我希望自己也能像您那样确定 |
[1:05:19] | But I’m not. | 但我不是 |
[1:05:20] | I’ve heard some very fishy things, Mr. Stevens. Very fishy. | 我听闻一些可疑的事情 非常可疑 |
[1:05:24] | I hear nothing, Mr. Benn. | 我什么都没听闻 |
[1:05:28] | Listen. | 听 |
[1:05:30] | That’s so touching, isn’t it? | 歌声多么动人啊 |
[1:05:36] | To listen to the gentlemen would distract me from my work. | 听那些先生们的谈话会让我工作分心 |
[1:05:48] | Miss Kenton. | 肯顿小姐 |
[1:05:50] | It’s fresh soda. | 这是新鲜的苏打水 |
[1:05:54] | Thank you, Mr. Benn. | 谢谢 |
[1:05:56] | Would you be joining us for a drink? | 跟我们一起喝一杯吧 |
[1:05:58] | Thank you, but it’s very late and I have an early start. | 多谢好意 但是我明天要早起 |
[1:06:02] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:06:04] | -Good night, Mr. Stevens. -Good night, Miss Kenton. | -晚安 史蒂文斯先生 -晚安 肯顿小姐 |
[1:06:10] | Good-looking woman. | 漂亮的女人 |
[1:06:14] | Miss Kenton. | 肯顿小姐 |
[1:06:18] | It was never the same after she left Stanton Lacey. | 自从她离开史丹顿府 一切都不一样了 |
[1:06:21] | I handed in my own notice six months later. | 六个月后我也离开了那里 |
[1:06:26] | I’d be lost without her. | 若没有了她 我会不知所措 |
[1:06:31] | A first-rate housekeeper is essential in a house like this | 在这样一座影响整个世界的大房子里 |
[1:06:34] | where great affairs are decided between these walls. | 一个能干的女管家非常重要 |
[1:06:43] | -Good morning. -My lord. | -早上好 -老爷 |
[1:07:03] | We do the Jews no injustice when we say that the revelation of Christ | 我们对待犹太人并没有什么不公 |
[1:07:08] | is something incomprehensible and hateful to them. | 犹大背叛基督既让人不能理解也招致痛恨 |
[1:07:12] | Though He apparently sprang from their midst | 尽管他只是站在人群中的一个人 |
[1:07:15] | He embodies the negation of their whole nature. | 但是他象征着他们的整个族群 |
[1:07:18] | The Jews are far more sensitive about this than we are. | 犹太人对此比我们更敏感 |
[1:07:22] | This demonstration of the cleft that separates us Europeans from the Jew | 这种障碍使得欧洲人与犹太人区别开来 |
[1:07:27] | is by no means given in order to let religious prejudice | 并不是为了让种族主义 |
[1:07:31] | with its dangerous bias, settle the matter | 往极端方向发展 |
[1:07:33] | but because the perception of two fundamentally different natures | 而是基于这两个种族观念和本质的不同 |
[1:07:38] | reveals a real gulf. | 所揭示出来的现实的鸿沟 |
[1:07:59] | We have some refugee girls on the staff at the moment, I believe. | 我们的仆人中有两个难民吧 |
[1:08:03] | We do, My Lord. | 是的 |
[1:08:04] | Two housemaids, Elsa and Irma. | 两个女仆 艾尔莎和厄尔玛 |
[1:08:07] | You’ll have to let them go, I’m afraid. | 恐怕你得把她们送走 |
[1:08:12] | Let them go, my lord? | 让他们走吗 老爷 |
[1:08:16] | It’s regrettable, but we have no choice. | 虽然很遗憾 但也是没办法的事 |
[1:08:20] | You must see the whole thing in context. | 你必须得顺应大环境 |
[1:08:22] | I have the well-being of my guests to consider. | 我得为我的宾客们考虑 |
[1:08:31] | May I say | 请允许我说一句 |
[1:08:33] | they work extremely well. | 她们工作的非常好 |
[1:08:35] | They’re intelligent, polite and very clean. | 她们很聪明 有礼貌又爱干净 |
[1:08:38] | I’m sorry, but I’ve looked into this matter very carefully. | 很抱歉 但我已经仔细考虑过了 |
[1:08:42] | There are larger issues at stake. | 我可不想冒这个险 |
[1:08:45] | I’m sorry, but there it is. | 我很抱歉 就这么决定了 |
[1:08:50] | They’re Jews. | 她们是犹太人 |
[1:08:55] | Yes, my lord. | 是 老爷 |
[1:09:01] | I’m amazed you can stand there as if | 我很惊讶你竟然站在这儿 |
[1:09:04] | you were discussing orders for the larder. I can’t believe it! | 像个没事人似的 难以置信 |
[1:09:08] | Elsa and Irma are to be dismissed because they’re Jewish? | 艾尔莎和厄尔玛被解雇 就因为她们是犹太人 |
[1:09:11] | His Lordship has decided. There’s nothing for you and I to discuss. | 老爷已经决定了 我和你都无权干涉 |
[1:09:16] | Without work, they could be sent back to Germany. | 她们没有工作的话 会被送回德国的 |
[1:09:20] | It is out of our hands. | 我也无能为力 |
[1:09:21] | I tell you, if you dismiss my girls tomorrow, it will be wrong! | 如果明天您解雇这两个女孩 您就罪过了 |
[1:09:25] | A sin, as any sin ever was one! | 罪过 就像杀人放火一样的罪过 |
[1:09:37] | There are many things you and I don’t understand in this world. | 这世界上有许多我和你不能理解的事 |
[1:09:41] | His Lordship understands fully and has studied the larger issues at stake | 但是老爷懂的多 也权衡过利弊 |
[1:09:46] | concerning, say | 关于 |
[1:09:49] | the nature of Jewry. | 犹太种族的本质 |
[1:09:55] | Mr. Stevens. | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[1:09:57] | I warn you | 我警告您 |
[1:09:59] | if those girls go | 如果她们被解雇 |
[1:10:01] | I shall leave this house. | 我也辞职不干了 |
[1:10:08] | Please. | 请别这样 |
[1:10:30] | These references, I have to tell you | 这封推荐信 我不得不说 |
[1:10:33] | are quite reserved. | 是有所保留的 |
[1:10:36] | Why did you leave your last employment? | 你为什么离开上一个雇主 |
[1:10:39] | -They didn’t want me anymore. -Why not? | -因为他们不要我了 -为什么 |
[1:10:41] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[1:10:43] | They just didn’t want me anymore. | 他们就是不要我了 |
[1:10:46] | They say she works well. | 他们说她工作不错 |
[1:10:48] | Would you please wait outside? | 请到外面稍等一会 |
[1:10:59] | -She’s unsuitable. -Not at all. I want her. | -她不合适 -没关系 留下她 |
[1:11:01] | -She’ll be under my supervision. -She’s not suitable. | -我会监督她的 -可她不合适 |
[1:11:04] | She’ll do well. I’ll see to it. | 她会做好的 我向您保证 |
[1:11:08] | Well, then, it is entirely your responsibility. | 好吧 那么责任就落在您肩上了 |
[1:11:14] | Weren’t you leaving because of the German girls? | 您不是因为那两个德国女孩要辞职吗 |
[1:11:19] | I’m not leaving. | 我不走了 |
[1:11:22] | I’ve nowhere to go. I have no family. | 我没地方可去 我没有家 |
[1:11:25] | I’m a coward. | 我是一个懦夫 |
[1:11:28] | Yes. I am a coward. | 是的 我是一个懦夫 |
[1:11:30] | I’m frightened of leaving, and that’s the truth. | 我害怕离开 这是事实 |
[1:11:35] | All I see out in the world is loneliness, and it frightens me. | 我所看到的外面的世界充满了孤独感 这让我害怕 |
[1:11:40] | That’s all my high principles are worth. | 我的做人原则也被压了下去 |
[1:11:45] | I’m ashamed of myself. | 我非常地惭愧 |
[1:11:57] | You mean a great deal to this house. | 您是这个庄园不可或缺的 |
[1:12:06] | You’re extremely important to this house. | 您对这个庄园非常重要 |
[1:12:13] | Am I? | 是吗 |
[1:12:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:12:22] | Now, look here | 现在 回到正事上 |
[1:12:23] | if you’re really sure about this young woman, call her back in. | 如果您对这个应聘者十分有信心 那么就叫她进来 |
[1:12:44] | Miss Hull, we would like you to start next week. | 豪尔小姐 我们希望您下周开始工作 |
[1:12:47] | You’re responsible to Miss Kenton. She’ll explain the house rules. | 你就跟着肯顿小姐 她会跟你解释这里的规矩 |
[1:12:51] | Number one: no gentlemen callers, or other such. | 第一条 不能有男性来访者 以及其他的 |
[1:12:55] | -Yes, sir. -Good. | -是 先生 -很好 |
[1:12:57] | -Welcome. -Thank you, sir. | -欢迎来这 -谢谢 先生 |
[1:13:00] | Well done. I’ll show you to your room. | 很好 我带你去你的房间 |
[1:13:54] | Hello. Excuse me. | 劳驾 |
[1:13:58] | I’d forgotten how much petrol the Daimler uses. | 我都忘了老戴姆勒有多么耗油了 |
[1:14:01] | It’s an impractical motor to be going about the country, Mister | 我敢说 这辆车绝对不适合外出旅游 |
[1:14:06] | Smith. Harry Smith. It’s a privilege to have you here in Moscombe. | 我是哈里·史密斯 愿您在这里过得愉快 |
[1:14:10] | -It’s a privilege to be here. -Your health, sir. | -很荣幸在这里见到您 -为健康干杯 |
[1:14:13] | Dr. Carlisle usually drops in around now. | 卡莱尔先生经常在这时会过来 |
[1:14:15] | He’d be very pleased to meet you. | 他会很高兴见到您 |
[1:14:17] | He’s a gentleman like yourself. | 他像您一样是个绅士 |
[1:14:20] | I don’t know what you call a gentleman. | 我不知道你们所说的绅士是什么样 |
[1:14:22] | It’s a name every man in this country has a right to. | 这个国家的所有男人都可以是绅士 |
[1:14:26] | There’s Harry Smith now, giving you an earful of his philosophy. | 这就是哈里·史密斯 他的老掉牙的人生哲学 |
[1:14:30] | We English | 我们英国人 |
[1:14:31] | have the advantage and privilege of expressing our opinions freely | 擅长于表达自己的自由观点 所以形成了议会制度 |
[1:14:35] | and voting for Parliament. That’s what we fought Hitler for. | 这就是跟希特勒打仗的原因 |
[1:14:40] | Have you had much to do with politics yourself? | 您的工作跟政治沾边吗 |
[1:14:44] | Not directly as such, no, particularly in these days. | 不是很多 特别是这两年 |
[1:14:49] | Perhaps more so in the early 1930s and just before the war. | 1930年初以及战前 接触的较多 |
[1:14:53] | My concern was more international affairs. | 我大多关注于国际性的事件 |
[1:14:56] | Or foreign policy, so to speak. | 还有外交政策之类的 |
[1:15:01] | Not that I ever held high office, mind you. | 当然我也不是那种高层人物 |
[1:15:06] | No, any influence I exerted was in an unofficial capacity. | 我所接触的事情都是一些非官方的事件 |
[1:15:11] | Excuse me, sir. | 请问 先生 |
[1:15:13] | Have you ever met Mr. Churchill? | 您见过丘吉尔先生吗 |
[1:15:16] | He came to the house occasionally. Back, in the early 1930s. | 他偶尔会到庄园来 那是在1930年代 |
[1:15:21] | He was a bloody warmonger! | 他就是个残暴的战争狂 |
[1:15:23] | Honestly, Harry! We wouldn’t have won the war without him. | 拜托 哈里 没有他我们赢不了战争 |
[1:15:27] | Not content to fight Germans, | 不是说他打德国人 |
[1:15:29] | he sent troops in against the miners. | 而是他竟然派装甲部队去镇压煤矿工人 |
[1:15:34] | He did well in the war, but he should’ve stepped down. | 他确实在战争中表现出色 但他之后就该退休了 |
[1:15:37] | And Mr. Eden? | 那么艾登首相呢 |
[1:15:38] | He made a right bugger of Suez! | 他把苏伊士运河的控制权弄没了 |
[1:15:40] | Yes, I met Mr. Eden. Yes, occasionally. | 我见过艾登先生几次 |
[1:15:43] | How do you do? Richard Carlisle. | 您好 我是理查德·卡莱尔 |
[1:15:46] | Rotten luck about your car, but nice to have you with us. | 您的车够倒霉的 但是很高兴见到您 |
[1:15:49] | Everyone has been most kind. | 大家都很友好 |
[1:15:51] | The gentleman was telling he knows foreign affairs. | 这位先生在叙述一些国际性事件 |
[1:15:54] | Is that so, indeed? | 是真的吗 |
[1:15:56] | Yes. In an unofficial capacity. | 都是一些非正式的事件 |
[1:15:58] | -He knows Mr. Churchill. -And Mr. Eden. | -他见过丘吉尔首相 -还有艾登首相 |
[1:16:02] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[1:16:04] | Yes, well, it was my good fortune to have consorted | 是的 这是我的荣幸能够遇到 |
[1:16:09] | with many men of influence from Europe and from America. | 这些影响世界历史的人物 |
[1:16:18] | Mr. Taylor | 泰勒先生 |
[1:16:19] | I really feel I ought to retire now because I’m feeling rather tired. | 我想去休息了 这一天下来实在很疲惫 |
[1:16:24] | No wonder, sir. Running out of petrol | 这也难怪 先是汽油用完了 |
[1:16:26] | then having to hear Smith’s political opinions. | 然后还不断地听史密斯说他的政治观点 |
[1:16:30] | Just step this way, sir. | 请走这边 先生 |
[1:16:32] | I’m going to Stanbury in the morning. I’ll give you a lift | 明天早上我也要去史丹布瑞 也许可以载您一程 |
[1:16:36] | and we could pick up a can of petrol on the way. | 路上还可以给您的车加一罐汽油 |
[1:16:39] | I’d hate to inconvenience you. | 这样会给您带来不便 |
[1:16:41] | Not at all. Would 7:30 suit you? | 没关系 7点30分可以吗 |
[1:16:44] | You’ll enjoy talking to Dr. Carlisle. Watch this step. | 您会喜欢跟卡莱尔先生交谈 请当心楼梯 |
[1:16:49] | Excuse Harry Smith. | 请原谅哈里·史密斯 |
[1:16:50] | He will go on about his politics. I don’t mean he’s not right. | 他一直这样说着他的政治观点 并不是说他不对 |
[1:16:54] | Democracy is why we fought Hitler, | 跟希特勒打仗是为了获得民主 |
[1:16:56] | and we lost a few lads in this village | 我们也牺牲了很多年轻人 |
[1:16:58] | including our son here. | 包括我的儿子 |
[1:17:02] | Dunkirk. | 在敦克尔克 |
[1:17:06] | I’ll get you a blanket. | 我去给您找条毯子 |
[1:17:08] | I’ve left a razor and soap on the basin. | 我在脸盆里留了剃须刀和肥皂 |
[1:17:46] | Listen to the opinions of your man in the street. | 去大街上随便找个人 听听他的观点 |
[1:17:48] | They’re perfectly entitled to give an opinion | 他们在政治上 或是别的什么问题上 |
[1:17:51] | on politics or whatever questions | 都有自己的一套观点 |
[1:17:54] | They’ve got no qualifications! | 但他们没有资格来评论 |
[1:17:56] | Of course they have! | 他们当然可以评论 |
[1:18:01] | Mr. Spencer would like a word with you. | 斯宾塞先生有问题要问你 |
[1:18:04] | My good man, I have a question for you. | 好心人 我有个问题问你 |
[1:18:09] | Do you suppose the debt situation regarding America | 你是否认为美国的债务形势 |
[1:18:13] | factors significantly in the present low levels of trade? | 是现在国际贸易减少的主要原因吗 |
[1:18:16] | Or do you suppose this is a red herring | 或者这只是一个假象 |
[1:18:18] | and the abandonment of the gold standard is the cause of the problem? | 弃用金本位制才是最根本的原因 |
[1:18:24] | I’m sorry, sir, but I am unable to be of assistance in this matter. | 抱歉 先生 我对您的问题无从回答 |
[1:18:29] | Oh, dear. What a pity. | 太遗憾了 |
[1:18:31] | Perhaps you’d help us on another matter. | 也许你可以回答我另一个问题 |
[1:18:35] | Do you think the | 你是否认为 |
[1:18:37] | currency problem of Europe would be alleviated by an arms agreement | 欧洲的货币政策会因为法国和布尔什维克 |
[1:18:42] | between the French and the Bolsheviks? | 的大革命协定而缓和呢 |
[1:18:46] | I’m sorry, sir, but I’m unable to be of assistance in this matter. | 抱歉 先生 我对您的问题无从回答 |
[1:18:52] | Very well, that’ll be all. | 史蒂文斯 你下去吧 |
[1:18:54] | One moment, Darlington, | 等一下 达林顿 |
[1:18:56] | I have another question to put to our good man here. | 我还有个问题要问这个好心人 |
[1:18:59] | My good fellow | 好心人 |
[1:19:01] | do you share our opinion | 你是否认同我们的观点 |
[1:19:04] | that M. Daladier’s recent speech on North Africa | 达拉第最近在北非的演说 |
[1:19:08] | was simply a ruse | 其实是一个诡计 |
[1:19:10] | to scupper the nationalist fringe of his own domestic party? | 用来破坏他们国内的人民阵线 |
[1:19:15] | I’m sorry, sir. I am unable to help in any of these matters. | 抱歉 先生 我对您的这些问题都无从回答 |
[1:19:19] | You see, our good man here is unable to assist us in these matters. | 你们看 他无法回答这些问题 |
[1:19:24] | Yet we still go along with the notion | 但是我们要知道一点 |
[1:19:27] | that this nation’s decisions be left to our good man here | 民主使得我们国家的决策都由 |
[1:19:31] | and a few millions like him. | 像他这样成千上万的大众所决定 |
[1:19:34] | You may as well ask the Mothers’ Union to organize a war campaign. | 就好像让妇联去组织一场战役一样 |
[1:19:41] | Thank you, My Lord. Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 老爷 谢谢 先生 |
[1:19:46] | You certainly proved your point. | 您最终证明了你的观点 |
[1:19:50] | -Q.E.D., I think. -No, not at all! | -证明终了 -不 你没有证明 |
[1:19:52] | Oh, yes, he has! | 他已经证明了 |
[1:19:59] | What did you make of the citizens of Moscombe? Not a bad bunch. | 您怎么看镇上的人 都是不错的家伙 |
[1:20:03] | No, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[1:20:04] | Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were extremely kind. | 泰勒夫妇非常好心 |
[1:20:09] | I say, I hope you don’t think me very rude | 请原谅我的无礼 |
[1:20:14] | but you aren’t a manservant of some sort, are you? | 您的工作是不是男仆之类的 |
[1:20:20] | Yes, sir. I am, indeed. | 是的 您说对了 |
[1:20:23] | In fact, I’m the butler of Darlington Hall, near Oxford. | 事实上 我是达林顿府的管家 在牛津郡附近 |
[1:20:27] | It wasn’t my intention to deceive anyone. | 我并不想刻意隐瞒什么 |
[1:20:30] | Don’t explain. I can see how it happened. | 不用解释 我大致能够理解 |
[1:20:34] | Darlington. | 达林顿 |
[1:20:36] | Wasn’t there a Lord Darlington involved | 是不是那个达林顿公爵 |
[1:20:39] | in that appeasement business that got us into the war? | 推行的姑息政策让我们卷进了战争 |
[1:20:42] | Sorry, I never knew that Lord Darlington. | 抱歉 我不认识那个达林顿公爵 |
[1:20:45] | My employer’s an American gentleman, Mr. Lewis. | 我的雇主是一个美国人 刘易斯先生 |
[1:20:51] | Lord Darlington was among those who tried to make a deal with Hitler. | 达林顿公爵是那些想和希特勒谈条件的人之一 |
[1:20:56] | Then there was a case after the war | 战后好像还有一场官司 |
[1:20:59] | where he sued a newspaper for libel. | 他起诉一家报纸诽谤 |
[1:21:01] | The Express, was it? News Chronicle? | 新闻快报还是新闻时编来着 |
[1:21:05] | -I couldn’t say, sir. -Anyway, he lost. | -我不知道 先生 -不管怎样 他败诉了 |
[1:21:09] | He was lucky, really, not to have been tried for treason. | 他很幸运 没有以叛国罪论处 |
[1:21:14] | There it is, just ahead. | 就在那儿 前面 |
[1:21:31] | Sir, I must confess | 先生 我要坦白一件事 |
[1:21:33] | that I failed to tell you the truth. | 我没有说真话 |
[1:21:37] | I did know Lord Darlington, | 我认识达林顿公爵 |
[1:21:39] | and I can declare that he was a truly good man. | 我也要说他是一个很正直的好人 |
[1:21:42] | A gentleman through and through | 完完全全的一个绅士 |
[1:21:45] | to whom I’m proud to have given my best years of service. | 我为他工作了许多年 |
[1:21:52] | That should get you to the next petrol station. | 这些应该够你到下一个加油站了 |
[1:21:57] | Thank you very much, sir. I’m most grateful. | 非常感谢 先生 |
[1:22:00] | But did you | 那你赞同 |
[1:22:02] | share his opinions? | 他的观点吗 |
[1:22:04] | Who? | 谁 |
[1:22:05] | Lord Darlington. | 达林顿公爵 |
[1:22:08] | I was his butler. I was there to serve him | 我是他的管家 我的工作是为他服务 |
[1:22:11] | not to agree or disagree. | 无权表示赞同和否定 |
[1:22:14] | You trusted him. | 你信任他 |
[1:22:16] | Yes, I did. Completely. | 是的 非常信任 |
[1:22:19] | But at the end of his life, | 他在生命的最后几年 |
[1:22:21] | he himself admitted that he’d been mistaken. | 他也承认了自己的过错 |
[1:22:24] | That he’d been too gullible, and he’d let himself be taken in. | 他太易受人误导 还让自己陷了进去 |
[1:22:29] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[1:22:33] | Thank you, sir. You’ve been most kind. Thank you. | 谢谢 先生 您真是太好了 谢谢 |
[1:22:45] | Just keep going straight up here, and turn left at the first crossroads. | 笔直往前 第一个路口往左 |
[1:22:51] | I say, I don’t want to be a bore, but I’m intrigued. | 我不想烦到您 但是我很好奇 |
[1:22:54] | Where do you stand on all that? | 您自己持什么立场 |
[1:22:56] | If a mistake was to be made, wouldn’t you rather have made your own? | 如果错误在所难免 那您自己犯过什么错吗 |
[1:23:01] | Forgive me for being so inquisitive. | 抱歉我这么好奇地问您 |
[1:23:03] | Not at all, sir. | 没关系 先生 |
[1:23:05] | In a very small way, I did make my own mistake. | 某种程度上 我也犯过错 |
[1:23:08] | But I might have a chance to set mine right. | 但是我可能有机会来弥补 |
[1:23:12] | In fact, I’m on my way to try and do so now. | 事实上 我现在正在去弥补的路上 |
[1:23:17] | Try the ignition. | 试试看发动 |
[1:23:22] | Thank you, sir. I’m most grateful for your help. | 谢谢先生 很感谢您的帮助 |
[1:23:26] | Good luck. It’s been interesting talking to you. | 祝好运 很高兴能和您谈话 |
[1:24:04] | Oh, Stevens. | 史蒂文斯 |
[1:24:04] | Good morning, sir. | 早上好 |
[1:24:05] | Lord Halifax was impressed with the silver. | 哈菲克斯公爵很满意那些银制品 |
[1:24:08] | I told him it was all your doing. Sent his compliments. Well done. | 我告诉他都是你做的 向你献上他的赞美 |
[1:24:12] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 |
[1:24:17] | Stevens, I’ve been meaning to ask you | 史蒂文斯 我想问你 |
[1:24:20] | That business last year about the Jewish maids | 去年那两个犹太女仆的事 |
[1:24:24] | I suppose there’s no way of tracing them? | 是不是已经找不到她们了 |
[1:24:27] | That would be difficult. I tried to get them a position in Surrey. | 估计很难 我曾试过在萨里郡帮她们找份工 |
[1:24:31] | There was room only for one, and they didn’t want to be separated. | 但那里只有一个空缺 她们又不想被分开 |
[1:24:36] | Well, try anyway. One would like to do something for them. | 好吧 你再试试吧 得为她们做点什么 |
[1:24:40] | It was wrong, what occurred. | 解雇她们是错误的决定 |
[1:24:43] | I’m sorry about it. Very sorry. | 我对此很自责 |
[1:24:49] | -Good morning. -Good morning, Mr. Stevens. | -早上好 -早上好 |
[1:24:55] | He asked about the Jewish girls. | 老爷问起那两个犹太女仆 |
[1:24:57] | -Elsa and Irma? -He wondered where they were. | -艾尔莎和厄尔玛 -他想知道她们在哪 |
[1:25:00] | He said it was wrong to dismiss them. | 他说解雇她们是错误的决定 |
[1:25:02] | I remember you were as distressed as I was about it. | 我记得您当初跟我一样感到沮丧 |
[1:25:06] | As you were? | 跟您一样 |
[1:25:09] | You thought it was right and proper that they should be sent packing. | 您不是认为她们应该被赶走吗 |
[1:25:14] | Now, really, that is most unfair. | 您这么说我真是太不公平了 |
[1:25:16] | Of course I was upset. Very much so. | 那时我也很不安 非常不安 |
[1:25:19] | I don’t like that happening here. | 我从不希望发生这样的事 |
[1:25:21] | I wish you’d told me so at the time. | 我真希望您那时能告诉我 |
[1:25:23] | It would’ve helped me a great deal | 知道你和我有一样的感受 |
[1:25:24] | if I knew you felt the same way as I did. | 我就会好受多了 |
[1:25:27] | Why do you always have to hide what you feel? | 你为什么总是把自己的感情藏的很深 |
[1:25:35] | -Have you finished the lavender bags? -Yes, Miss Kenton. | -薰衣草袋都弄好了吗 -是的 肯顿小姐 |
[1:25:54] | Yes, I take my hat off to you, Miss Kenton. | 我向您承认 |
[1:25:56] | That girl’s come along very well. You were right and I was wrong. | 这女孩确实做的不错 您是对的 |
[1:26:02] | -Look at that smile on your face. -What smile? | -看看你脸上的笑容 -什么笑容 |
[1:26:07] | That tells a story in itself. | 这笑容不言而喻 |
[1:26:10] | Wouldn’t you say so? | 您不这样想吗 史蒂文斯先生 |
[1:26:12] | What story’s that? | 什么意思 |
[1:26:14] | She’s a pretty girl, don’t you think? | 她长的很漂亮 不是吗 |
[1:26:17] | Is she? | 是吗 |
[1:26:19] | You don’t like pretty girls on the staff. I’ve noticed. | 我注意到您不雇佣漂亮女孩子 |
[1:26:23] | Might it be that our Mr. Stevens fears distraction? | 看来是我们的史蒂文斯先生担心因此分神 |
[1:26:28] | Can it be that Mr. Stevens is flesh and blood after all | 是不是因为史蒂文斯先生也是血肉之躯 |
[1:26:32] | and cannot trust himself? | 怕自己控制不住呢 |
[1:26:34] | You know what I’m doing, Miss Kenton? | 你知道我此刻在做什么吗 |
[1:26:36] | I’m placing my thoughts elsewhere while you chatter away. | 你在唠唠叨叨的时候 我在神游 |
[1:26:40] | Why is that guilty smile still on your face? | 为什么那种有罪似的笑容还在您脸上 |
[1:26:42] | Not guilty, simply amused by the nonsense you sometimes talk. | 只是因为你的唠叨而感到好笑而已 |
[1:26:47] | There is a guilty smile. You can’t bear to look at her. | 绝对是被我说中了 你无法正眼看她 |
[1:26:51] | That’s why you didn’t want her. She was too pretty. | 所以你不想雇她 因为她太漂亮了 |
[1:26:53] | You must be right. | 算你说对了 |
[1:26:55] | You always are. | 你总是对的 |
[1:27:07] | Charlie! | 查理 |
[1:27:22] | Lizzie, aren’t you supposed to be turning down the beds? | 丽兹 你不是应该在整理床铺吗 |
[1:27:26] | Well, you’d better get on with it, had you? | 那你最好快点 |
[1:27:35] | Have you told her yet? You’d better get on with it, had you? | 你还没告诉她吗 那你得快点告诉她 |
[1:27:38] | What can I say to her? She’d never understand about us. | 我该怎么跟她说 她不会懂的 |
[1:27:41] | -Why not? -She’s old. She must be at least 30. | -为什么 -她已经老了 至少30多岁 |
[1:27:45] | Perhaps she doesn’t feel that old. | 也许她不觉得自己老呢 |
[1:27:47] | Who do you think those flowers are for she’s been picking? | 你觉得她经常摘的那些花是给谁的 |
[1:27:51] | Come here. Give us a kiss. | 过来 给我个吻 |
[1:28:05] | Flowers. | 花儿 |
[1:28:08] | Flowers. | 花儿 |
[1:28:10] | You’re reading. | 你在看书 |
[1:28:12] | It’s very dim. Can you see? | 这里很暗 你看得见吗 |
[1:28:14] | Yes, thank you. | 是的 谢谢关心 |
[1:28:18] | What are you reading? | 你在读什么 |
[1:28:20] | A book. | 一本书 |
[1:28:23] | Yes, but what sort of book? | 我知道 什么样的书 |
[1:28:25] | It’s a book, Miss Kenton. A book. | 就是一本书 肯顿小姐 |
[1:28:31] | What’s the book? | 什么书 |
[1:28:35] | Are you shy about your book? | 你难道对自己看的书感到羞愧 |
[1:28:38] | What is it? | 让我看看 |
[1:28:42] | Is it racy? | 色情书 |
[1:28:44] | Racy? | 色情书 |
[1:28:46] | Are you reading a racy book? | 你在看一本色情书吗 |
[1:28:51] | Do you think racy books are to be found in His Lordship’s shelves? | 你觉得老爷的书房里会有色情书吗 |
[1:28:54] | How would I know? | 我怎么知道 |
[1:28:57] | What is it? | 是什么书 |
[1:29:00] | Let me see it. Let me see your book. | 让我看看 让我看看你的书 |
[1:29:04] | Please leave me alone, Miss Kenton. | 请让我一个人待着 |
[1:29:06] | Why won’t you show me your book? | 为什么不让我看看你的书 |
[1:29:09] | This is my private time. You’re invading it. | 现在是我的私人时间 您这是在干扰我 |
[1:29:12] | Is that so? | 是这样吗 |
[1:29:13] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:29:13] | I’m invading your private time, am I? | 我在干扰您的私人时间 是吗 |
[1:29:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:29:17] | What’s in that book? | 书里有什么 |
[1:29:19] | Come on, let me see. | 让我看看 |
[1:29:23] | Or are you protecting me? Is that what you’re doing? | 还是说你在保护我 |
[1:29:27] | Would I be shocked? | 怕我被震惊到吗 |
[1:29:30] | Would it ruin my character? | 会给我带来心理阴影吗 |
[1:29:36] | Let me see it. | 让我看看 |
[1:30:03] | Oh, dear. | 天哪 |
[1:30:06] | It’s not scandalous at all. | 这书一点也不会让人感到羞耻 |
[1:30:08] | It’s just a sentimental old love story. | 这只是一本多愁善感的爱情小说 |
[1:30:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:30:22] | I read these books | 我读这些书 |
[1:30:25] | any books | 还有其他的书 |
[1:30:27] | to develop my command and knowledge of the English language. | 是为了提高我的英语知识水平 |
[1:30:31] | I read to further my education, Miss Kenton. | 我读书是为了见多识广 肯顿小姐 |
[1:30:39] | I really must ask you, please | 我真心地请求您 |
[1:30:43] | not to disturb the few moments I have to myself. | 请不要打扰我为数不多的属于自己的时间 |
[1:31:14] | Come in. | 请进 |
[1:31:22] | What is it? | 什么事 |
[1:31:24] | I’m wanting to give you my notice, Miss Kenton, please. | 我想辞职 |
[1:31:30] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:31:33] | Charlie and me, we’re getting married. | 查理和我准备结婚 |
[1:31:38] | Have you thought about this carefully? | 你仔细考虑过了没 |
[1:31:41] | Yes, Miss Kenton, I have. | 是的 肯顿小姐 |
[1:31:44] | You’ve been getting on very well here | 你在这里越做越好 |
[1:31:46] | and I think you have a fine career before you if you stick to it. | 而且有大好的前途 |
[1:31:49] | Charlie and me’s getting married. | 查理和我准备结婚 |
[1:31:53] | Charlie and I. | 查理和我 |
[1:31:54] | I wish I knew what to say to you. | 但愿我知道该怎么对你说 |
[1:31:57] | I’ve seen this happen so many times. | 我见过这样的事很多次了 |
[1:31:59] | A young girl rushing into marriage only to be disappointed in the end. | 年轻的女士急于结婚 最后落得失望的结局 |
[1:32:04] | What about money? | 你们有钱吗 |
[1:32:07] | We don’t have any. | 我们没有钱 |
[1:32:10] | But who cares? | 只要有爱就行 |
[1:32:12] | You’ll find it’s not easy to live poor. | 你们慢慢会知道过穷日子是很艰难的 |
[1:32:17] | We have each other. | 但我们有彼此 |
[1:32:20] | That’s all anyone can ever need. | 人生路上不就图一个知心伴侣嘛 |
[1:32:28] | Very well, Lizzy. | 很好 |
[1:32:30] | If you’re so sure. | 如果你确定的话 |
[1:32:32] | Yes, Miss Kenton. | 是的 肯顿小姐 |
[1:32:34] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:32:41] | Good luck. | 祝好运 |
[1:32:55] | We did all we could for them. | 我们尽力了 |
[1:32:58] | I told him | 我告诉他 |
[1:33:00] | I had my eye on him as a possible under-butler | 他将是一个有潜质的副管家 |
[1:33:04] | in a year or so. | 再过个一两年 |
[1:33:08] | But, no, Mr. Charlie knows best. | 但是他自己的事自己决定 |
[1:33:13] | She’s sure to be let down. | 她肯定会失望的 |
[1:33:19] | No use crying over spilt milk. | 现在说这些也是无济于事了 |
[1:33:21] | Besides, we have far more important matters to discuss. | 况且 我们还有其他重要的事要讨论 |
[1:33:25] | -Next week’s meeting. Now, must we discuss it tonight? | -下周的会议 -我们非得今晚谈论吗 |
[1:33:29] | Sorry? | 什么 |
[1:33:32] | I’m tired, Mr. Stevens. | 我很累了 |
[1:33:36] | I’ve had a busy day. Don’t you realize that? | 您看不出来 我今天忙了一整天吗 |
[1:33:40] | I’m very tired. | 我非常累 |
[1:33:43] | I’m very, very tired. | 我非常 非常累了 |
[1:33:45] | Don’t you understand? | 你不明白吗 |
[1:33:51] | Miss Kenton, I | 肯顿小姐 我 |
[1:33:56] | I owe you an apology. I thought | 我要跟您道歉 我以为 |
[1:33:59] | these quiet evening talks were useful to our work. | 定期在夜间讨论有助于我们白天的工作 |
[1:34:02] | But now I see that they’re a burden to you. | 现在看来 对您是一种负担 |
[1:34:05] | I was only saying I was tired tonight. | 我只是说今晚很累了 |
[1:34:08] | No, no. You’re right. | 不 您是对的 |
[1:34:11] | Our meetings are a burden after a long day. | 我们的讨论在一整天之后是一种体力的负担 |
[1:34:14] | Perhaps we’d better discontinue them. | 我们最好还是取消了吧 |
[1:34:17] | They’re useful. It was only tonight. | 讨论很有用 只是今天我太累了 |
[1:34:20] | I thank you for the cocoa. | 感谢您泡的热可可 |
[1:34:22] | In the future, we shall communicate only during the day. | 以后我们在白天讨论吧 |
[1:34:25] | If necessary, by written message. | 如果可以的话 就用写字条的方式 |
[1:34:29] | I wish you a very good night, Miss Kenton. | 祝您晚安 |
[1:34:31] | Mr. Stevens. | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[1:34:35] | I shall be taking my day off tomorrow. | 我明天要请个假 |
[1:34:39] | I’ll be back in the house by 9:30. | 9点30分之前我会回来的 |
[1:34:42] | Certainly. | 可以 |
[1:34:44] | Certainly. | 当然 |
[1:34:45] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:35:23] | I’m glad to be out of it, I can tell you. | 我很高兴能够从庄园出来 我可以告诉你 |
[1:35:26] | There was something about Sir Geoffrey and his Black Shirts | 杰弗瑞爵士和他的黑衫党 |
[1:35:30] | gave me the creeps. | 让我心惊胆战的 |
[1:35:32] | Mr. Stevens says we should run the house | 史蒂文斯先生总说管理庄园 |
[1:35:34] | and leave the rest where it belongs. | 要把自己的私人事务放在一边 |
[1:35:39] | You don’t agree, Mr. Benn. | 你不同意吧 贝恩先生 |
[1:35:43] | Nor do I, really. | 我也是 |
[1:35:46] | If I don’t like something, | 如果我要表示不喜欢 |
[1:35:48] | I want to say stuff it | 我就会说 够了 别说了 |
[1:35:50] | if you’ll pardon the expression, Miss Kenton. | 请你原谅我的用词 肯顿小姐 |
[1:35:53] | But then I suppose I’m not a real professional, like Mr. Stevens. | 看来我做管家不像史蒂文斯先生那么专业 |
[1:36:00] | It’s Mr. Stevens’ whole life. | 史蒂文斯先生的一生都是管家 |
[1:36:04] | Well, it’s not mine. | 但我不一样 |
[1:36:06] | And to tell you the truth | 告诉你件事情 |
[1:36:08] | I don’t want to go back in service. | 我不准备回去服侍雇主了 |
[1:36:11] | -What would you do instead, Mr. Benn? -Tom’s the name. | -那你要做什么 贝恩先生 -叫我汤姆 |
[1:36:17] | Tom. | 汤姆 |
[1:36:20] | What employment would you take up? | 那你准备找份什么样的工作 |
[1:36:23] | I’d really like to be on my own. | 我准备自己开始做生意 |
[1:36:26] | Start a little shop somewhere, newspapers and tobacco. | 开家小店 卖报纸和香烟 |
[1:36:30] | Or a boarding house in the west country, where I come from. | 或者去西南部的老家开家小旅店 |
[1:36:35] | Clevedon’s a good place for a boarding house, by the sea. | 克利夫顿很适合开小旅店 就在海边 |
[1:36:38] | Would I get you another shandy? | 再喝一点吧 |
[1:36:41] | Well, it’s almost 9:30 | 已经9点30分了 |
[1:36:44] | Go on! | 拜托 |
[1:36:45] | It’s your day off, isn’t it? | 今天不是放假嘛 |
[1:36:47] | You’re not in the army, due back in the barracks. | 你又不是在军队 要踩时点回去 |
[1:36:50] | -All right, then. -Good. | -好吧 再来一杯 -很好 |
[1:36:55] | Half a shandy, please. | 请再给我半杯 |
[1:37:12] | What about yourself, then, Sarah? | 那你呢 莎拉 |
[1:37:14] | That’s a serious sort of a name. | 这个名字太一本正经 |
[1:37:17] | They called me Sally when my mum was alive. | 我母亲在世的时候 大家称呼我莎莉 |
[1:37:19] | Sally. That’s nice. | 莎莉 很美 |
[1:37:26] | Is it your intention to remain in service? | 你想一辈子做女管家吗 |
[1:37:29] | It’s a good profession, when you have a position. | 这是一个很好的职业 至少有份工作 |
[1:37:32] | Mr. Stevens says we’re fortunate | 史蒂文斯先生说我们很幸运 |
[1:37:34] | We’re not talking about Mr. Stevens. | 我们不是在谈论他 |
[1:37:36] | We’re talking about you. | 我们是在谈论你 |
[1:37:38] | Supposing | 假设 |
[1:37:40] | someone asked if you’d like to come in on a boarding house by the sea | 有人邀请你去做海边的小旅馆的女主人 |
[1:37:46] | What would you say? | 你怎么想 |
[1:37:49] | Well, I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[1:37:50] | It’s a theoretical question, so I haven’t given it any thought | 这是个假想的问题 所以我不会去想 |
[1:37:54] | -Mr. Benn. -Tom. | -贝恩先生 -叫我汤姆 |
[1:37:57] | Supposing it wasn’t theoretical | 如果这不是个假想的问题 |
[1:38:01] | Sally? | 莎莉 |
[1:38:05] | It’s been years since I’ve been called that. It feels funny. | 已经很久没人叫我这个名字了 感觉很滑稽 |
[1:38:08] | Nice, though? | 但感觉很好吧 |
[1:38:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:38:37] | It’s very late. | 很晚了 |
[1:39:24] | Will there be anything else, My Lord? | 还有别的事吗 老爷 |
[1:39:26] | What? | 什么 |
[1:39:28] | Oh, Stevens. No, no. | 史蒂文斯 没有 |
[1:39:31] | -Thank you, Stevens. Good night. -Good night, my lord. | -谢谢 晚安 -晚安 老爷 |
[1:39:50] | Mr. Cardinal, good evening. | 卡迪纳尔先生 晚上好 |
[1:39:52] | -How are you? -Very well, thank you, sir. | -你好吗 -很好 |
[1:39:54] | -Delighted. And your wife? -Very well too, sir. | -很好 那你妻子呢 -也很好 先生 |
[1:39:58] | -How are you? -Very well, sir. | -你好吗 -很好 先生 |
[1:40:00] | I’ve gone and got myself in a bit of a mess with arrangements. | 今天我的安排计划有点混乱 |
[1:40:04] | Do you think His Lordship would put me up tonight? | 公爵能让我在这里待一晚吗 |
[1:40:06] | I’ll tell him you’re here, sir. | 我会告诉他您来了 |
[1:40:07] | Thanks. | 多谢 |
[1:40:08] | I hope there’s nothing special tonight. | 但愿今天没有什么特殊的事情 |
[1:40:11] | His Lordship expects some gentlemen to call after dinner, sir. | 老爷在晚饭后有几个客人要见 |
[1:40:13] | Oh, I see. I’ll keep my head down, then. | 那我尽量低调 |
[1:40:16] | I’ve got to write my column anyway. | 反正我也要专心写我的专栏 |
[1:40:18] | -You’re in time for dinner, if you like. -I hoped I would be. | -您正好赶上晚餐时间 -但愿不麻烦你 |
[1:40:21] | How is my godfather? Fit? | 我的教父他怎么样 身体好吗 |
[1:40:24] | Very well. Would you like some refreshment? | 很好 您要点心吗 |
[1:40:26] | Thank you very much. Some whisky would be lovely. | 谢谢 再来点威士忌就更好了 |
[1:40:28] | -Who’s he expecting tonight? -I am unable to help you there. | -他今晚要见谁 -我也没法回答您 |
[1:40:33] | What, no idea? | 什么 你也不知道 |
[1:40:34] | No idea at all, sir. | 一点也不知道 先生 |
[1:40:37] | -I’ll keep my head down all the same. -I think it’s a good idea, sir. | -那我会很低调的 -你做的对 先生 |
[1:40:44] | Come in. | 请进 |
[1:40:48] | Miss Kenton. | 肯顿小姐 |
[1:40:50] | Mr. Cardinal has just arrived, out of the blue. | 卡迪纳尔先生刚到 让人出乎意料 |
[1:40:53] | He’ll expect his usual room tonight. | 给他准备一下他的房间 |
[1:40:56] | -I’ll see to it before I leave. -You’re going out this evening? | -我出门前会去确认的 -你要出去 |
[1:41:00] | I am indeed. | 是的 |
[1:41:01] | It’s Thursday. | 今天是星期四 |
[1:41:02] | Of course. I’d forgotten. Sorry. | 我忘记了 抱歉 |
[1:41:05] | Is something the matter? | 有什么事情 |
[1:41:09] | Some visitors are arriving, but it doesn’t involve you. | 有些客人要来 但跟您没什么关系 |
[1:41:13] | We agreed that Thursday is my day off | 虽然每周四我都可以放假 |
[1:41:16] | but if you need me urgently | 但如果你急需我帮忙 |
[1:41:18] | No, it’s perfectly all right. Thank you. | 不用 今晚没什么事 谢谢 |
[1:41:21] | -Mr. Stevens. -Yes? | -史蒂文斯先生 -什么事 |
[1:41:25] | I have something to tell you. | 我有事要告诉你 |
[1:41:29] | My friend | 我的朋友 |
[1:41:32] | the man I’m going to meet him, Mr. Benn. | 就是我去见的人 贝恩先生 |
[1:41:35] | Mr. Benn. Of course. Yes. | 贝恩先生 我知道 |
[1:41:42] | He has asked me to marry him. | 他向我求婚了 |
[1:41:48] | I am thinking about it. | 我还在考虑 |
[1:41:51] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[1:41:54] | He’s moving to the west country next month. | 他下个月要回到西南部去 |
[1:42:04] | I’m still thinking about it. | 我也还在考虑 |
[1:42:07] | I thought you should be informed of the situation. | 我想事先通知您一下 |
[1:42:14] | Yes, thank you. | 好的 谢谢 |
[1:42:17] | That’s most kind of you. | 您真是太好心了 |
[1:42:24] | I trust you’ll have a most pleasant evening, Miss Kenton. | 祝您今晚过的愉快 |
[1:42:41] | Is there something special tonight? | 今晚什么有什么特别的事吗 |
[1:42:45] | Your visitors tonight, are they special? | 您的访客 他们很特殊吗 |
[1:42:48] | Can’t tell you, my boy. Strictly confidential. | 不能告诉你 我的孩子 绝对保密 |
[1:42:52] | -So I can’t sit in on it? -Sit on what? | -所以我不能在场了 -在哪 |
[1:42:55] | -Whatever it is that’s taking place. -Absolutely not. | -你们会见的地方 -绝对不行 |
[1:43:00] | Can’t have someone like you sticking your nose in. A journalist. | 像你这样的新闻记者不能插足这件事 |
[1:43:03] | What do you call it, a newshound? | 你们怎么称来着 狗仔队 |
[1:43:06] | No, it wouldn’t do at all. | 绝对不行 |
[1:43:09] | Once you’ve had your food, you’d better make yourself scarce. | 吃好晚餐 你就别出来了 |
[1:43:14] | It sounds pretty special to me. | 看来很神秘的样子 |
[1:43:46] | Good evening, prime minister. How are you? | 晚上好 首相 |
[1:43:48] | -Sorry, we’ve been delayed. -I understand. | -抱歉 我们被耽搁了 -我能理解 |
[1:43:51] | Lord Halifax. | 哈菲克斯公爵 |
[1:43:53] | -Very nice to see you. -This is Mr. Fraser. | -很高兴见到您 -这是弗雷泽先生 |
[1:44:08] | Good evening, Your Excellency. | 晚上好 阁下 |
[1:44:16] | Please wait here, Your Excellency. I’ll inform His Lordship. | 请稍等 阁下 我去告知公爵 |
[1:44:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:45:10] | We don’t intend to involve the whole British Empire in a war | 我们不想把大英帝国卷入战争 |
[1:45:14] | simply because of a quarrel in a faraway country | 仅仅因为在远方的一个小国家发生的争端 |
[1:45:18] | between people of whom we know nothing. | 那里的人我们还完全不了解 |
[1:45:22] | To my mind, the whole of Czechoslovakia | 对我来说 整个捷克斯洛伐克民族 |
[1:45:25] | isn’t worth a single one of our own young men. | 还不如我们国家的任何一个年轻人 |
[1:45:28] | We have a small, noisy and corrupt war group here | 我们这里一群小国家吵嚷着要战争 |
[1:45:31] | who don’t realize that you Germans are marching into your own back yard. | 却没有意识到你们德国只是在清理自己的后院 |
[1:45:38] | The Fuhrer is a man of peace to the depth of his soul | 元首打心底里是一个和平主义者 |
[1:45:43] | but he won’t allow a small second-rate country | 但他绝不允许一个二流国家 |
[1:45:46] | to thumb its nose at the 1000-year German Reich. | 在德意志帝国1000年的历史中指着自己的鼻子 |
[1:46:05] | I’ll get it. | 我去吧 |
[1:46:08] | Come on, wake up! | 快醒醒 |
[1:46:10] | Stay awake! | 保持清醒 |
[1:46:19] | Could you confirm that this lady is on the staff here? | 您能认出这位小姐是这儿的职员吗 |
[1:46:23] | Yes, of course. She’s the housekeeper. | 是的 她是这儿的女管家 |
[1:46:26] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 先生 |
[1:46:28] | -May I? -Of course. | -我可以走了吗 -当然 小姐 |
[1:46:30] | Sorry to have alarmed you. | 抱歉把您当坏人了 |
[1:46:31] | Just security, miss. | 只是以防万一 |
[1:46:38] | I trust you’ve had a pleasant evening. | 我相信您肯定过了一个很愉快的夜晚 |
[1:46:44] | Well, did you have a pleasant evening? | 您过得愉快吗 |
[1:46:47] | -Yes, thank you. -Good. | -是的 谢谢 -很好 |
[1:46:49] | Would you like to know what took place? | 你不想知道发生什么事吗 |
[1:46:53] | I have to return upstairs. | 我必须上楼去了 |
[1:46:55] | There are important events taking place this house tonight. | 今晚有重要的事情 |
[1:47:01] | When are there not? | 什么时候不是呢 |
[1:47:06] | I accepted his proposal. | 我接受了 |
[1:47:10] | I accepted Mr. Benn’s proposal of marriage. | 我接受了贝恩先生的求婚 |
[1:47:13] | My congratulations. | 恭喜您 |
[1:47:14] | I am prepared to serve out my notice. | 我准备交出辞职信了 |
[1:47:17] | But if you’d release me earlier, I’d be grateful. | 如果您能早点放我走 我将感激不尽 |
[1:47:20] | Mr. Benn is planning to leave for the west country in two weeks’ time. | 贝恩先生打算半个月内就动身 |
[1:47:25] | I’ll do my best. | 我尽力 |
[1:47:27] | Now, please excuse me. | 请恕我失陪 |
[1:47:30] | Mr. Stevens. | 史蒂史蒂文斯先生 |
[1:47:36] | After all the years I have been working in this house, | 我在这儿工作了这么多年 |
[1:47:38] | have you nothing else to say to me? | 你没什么要说吗 |
[1:47:42] | You have my warmest congratulations. | 我向您献上最诚挚的祝福 |
[1:47:49] | Did you know you’ve been a very important figure | 您是一个非常重要的人 |
[1:47:52] | for Mr. Benn and me. | 对于我和贝恩先生 |
[1:47:54] | Oh, in what way? | 怎么重要 |
[1:47:57] | I tell him all sorts of things about you. | 我告诉他所有您的细节 |
[1:48:00] | I tell him stories about you. About your habits. | 我告诉他您的故事 您的习惯 |
[1:48:04] | About your mannerisms. | 关于您的言谈举止 |
[1:48:06] | He finds it very funny, especially when I show him how | 他觉得十分有趣 特别是您 |
[1:48:10] | you pinch your nose when you put pepper on your food. | 往食物上洒胡椒粉的时候会捏住鼻子 |
[1:48:13] | That always has us in stitches. | 这总让我们忍不住大笑 |
[1:48:21] | Does it, indeed? | 是吗 |
[1:48:28] | Well, please | 那么 请 |
[1:48:30] | excuse me, Miss Kenton. | 允许我失陪 肯顿小姐 |
[1:48:33] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:48:58] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[1:49:03] | We’ve been friends a long time, haven’t we? | 我们做了很长时间的朋友 是吧 |
[1:49:07] | I always look forward to a chat when I come here. | 我每次来这儿 总是期待跟你谈话 |
[1:49:10] | Would you care to join me in a drink? | 你可以跟我坐下来一起喝一杯吗 |
[1:49:13] | That’s most kind of you, but no, thank you. | 您真好 但是不了 谢谢 |
[1:49:15] | You all right? | 你没事吧 |
[1:49:17] | I’m perfectly all right. | 我非常好 |
[1:49:19] | Not feeling unwell, are you? | 没有觉得不舒服吗 |
[1:49:22] | A little tired, perhaps. | 只是有点累 |
[1:49:23] | I bet you’re tired. What is it, about 1:00? | 肯定的 现在都 凌晨1点了 |
[1:49:27] | Come on. | 过来 |
[1:49:28] | I want you to sit down. | 我要你坐下 |
[1:49:30] | Well, sir, I really | 先生 我真的 |
[1:49:39] | I didn’t come here by accident. | 我不是碰巧才来这儿的 |
[1:49:41] | You know that. | 你知道吧 |
[1:49:44] | I had a tip-off, you see | 我有条线报 关于 |
[1:49:46] | about what’s going on now in the library. | 现在正在书房里的客人 |
[1:49:51] | I wish you’d sit down. I’m your friend | 我希望你坐下 我是你的朋友 |
[1:49:54] | and you’re holding that tray as if you’re about to wander off any second! | 你总端着盘子 好像随时就要走似的 |
[1:49:58] | Now, come on. Sit down, damn it! | 过来 坐下 |
[1:50:03] | That’s better. | 好多了 |
[1:50:06] | Now, look, I don’t suppose the prime minister is in the library, is he? | 听着 我猜首相不在书房里吧 |
[1:50:11] | Prime minister, sir? | 首相 先生 |
[1:50:14] | In the library. You don’t have to confirm it | 在书房 你不用做什么确认 |
[1:50:16] | are our prime minister, our foreign secretary and the German ambassador. | 我们的首相 外交大臣 德国大使 |
[1:50:22] | -Any idea what they’re talking about? -I’m afraid not. | -你猜他们在谈些什么 -我不知道 |
[1:50:25] | Tell me, Stevens, don’t you care at all? | 告诉我 史蒂文斯 你一点也不关心吗 |
[1:50:28] | Aren’t you in the least bit curious? | 你一点也不感到好奇吗 |
[1:50:30] | It’s not my place to be curious about such matters. | 我无权对这些事情感兴趣 |
[1:50:34] | Not your place. | 你无权 |
[1:50:36] | And supposing I told you that His Lordship | 假设我告诉你 公爵 |
[1:50:38] | is trying to persuade the prime minister | 正在试图说服首相 |
[1:50:41] | to enter into a pact with that bunch of criminals in Berlin? | 跟柏林那些战争犯达成协议 |
[1:50:45] | I’m certain His Lordship is acting from the highest and noblest motives. | 我深信老爷肯定有他最高尚的出发点 |
[1:50:49] | Don’t you see? That’s exactly what makes it so abominable! | 你不明白吗 就是这一点让人感到讨厌 |
[1:50:53] | Twisting these high and noble motives to their own foul ends! | 把这些崇高的好意扭曲成了糟糕的结局 |
[1:50:57] | You do, please, realize that His Lordship’s been the most | 请你务必要意识到 公爵正在成为 |
[1:51:01] | valuable pawn that the Nazis have in this country in the last few years | 纳粹在我们国家最有价值的棋子 |
[1:51:05] | precisely because he is good and honourable? | 只是因为他把别人想的太好了 |
[1:51:08] | If I weren’t so drunk, I could make you understand! | 要我没有喝太多酒 就能让你明白了 |
[1:51:12] | Sir | 先生 |
[1:51:14] | I do understand. | 我明白的 |
[1:51:16] | His Lordship is working to ensure peace in our time. | 老爷正在努力维持我们时代的和平 |
[1:51:20] | Peace in our time on their beastly terms! | 建立在他们猛兽般的条款上的和平 |
[1:51:23] | Remember that American here at the conference three years ago? | 记得那次会议上的美国人吗 |
[1:51:26] | Called Lord Darlington an amateur, out of his depth? | 把达林顿公爵称为业余者 |
[1:51:29] | Well, he was right. | 他倒是说对了 |
[1:51:31] | He was dead right. | 他说的太对了 |
[1:51:33] | I hardly have to tell you how I feel towards His Lordship. | 我真不知道该怎么跟你谈论公爵 |
[1:51:37] | I care about him deeply, and I know you do too. | 我跟你一样都非常地关心他 |
[1:51:40] | Yes, I do indeed. | 是的 |
[1:51:42] | Then aren’t you desperate to see him make this terrible mistake? | 那你怎能忍心看他犯下如此严重的错误 |
[1:51:46] | He’s being tricked! Don’t you see? | 他被玩弄了 你不明白吗 |
[1:51:49] | Or are you as deluded as he is? | 还是你跟他一样被蒙蔽了双眼 |
[1:51:52] | Oh, dear. Now I’ve probably offended you. | 天哪 我可能真的冒犯到你了 |
[1:51:55] | No. Not at all, sir. | 没关系 先生 |
[1:51:58] | Not at all. | 没关系 |
[1:52:05] | You must excuse me. | 请原谅我失陪 |
[1:52:07] | There are other gentlemen calling for me, sir. | 还有其他客人需要我 |
[1:52:41] | You mustn’t take anything I said to heart. | 请不要在意我说的话 |
[1:52:47] | I was very foolish a little while ago. | 我刚才太失礼了 |
[1:52:54] | I haven’t taken anything you said to heart. | 我没有太当真 |
[1:52:56] | In fact, I can hardly recall anything you did say. | 实际上 我都不记得了 |
[1:53:01] | I was just being very foolish. | 我只是太傻了 |
[1:53:04] | I simply haven’t time to stand here with you, engaging in idle talk. | 我实在没有时间跟您站在这儿闲谈 |
[1:53:11] | I suggest you go to bed now. You must be very tired. | 建议您上床睡觉 您一定很累了 |
[1:53:14] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:54:52] | Miss Kenton. | 肯顿小姐 |
[1:55:06] | Yes, Mr. Stevens. | 史蒂文斯先生 |
[1:55:14] | I’d been wanting to tell you | 我想告诉您 |
[1:55:17] | It’s the small alcove outside the breakfast room. | 早餐室外面有个角落 |
[1:55:22] | It’s the new girl, of course | 可能是新来的女仆不熟悉 |
[1:55:25] | but I find it has not been dusted in some time. | 我看到好几次都有积灰尘 |
[1:55:32] | I’ll see to it, Mr. Stevens. | 我会去看看的 |
[1:55:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:55:37] | I knew you would have wanted to be informed, Miss Kenton. | 我知道您会想要知道的 |
[1:57:28] | Hello, Sally. | 你好 莎莉 |
[1:57:30] | Hi, Tom. | 你好 汤姆 |
[1:57:32] | You all right, then? | 你没事吧 |
[1:57:34] | How are you? | 你呢 |
[1:57:35] | I’m good. | 我很好 |
[1:57:40] | Could we talk for a moment, please? Just for a moment. | 我们可以稍谈一会吗 就一会 |
[1:57:43] | We’ll have to be quick because I’m going out. | 最好快点 我正好要出去 |
[1:57:46] | It won’t take long. | 不会很久的 |
[1:57:49] | All right, then. We’ll have to go into the lounge. | 好吧 我们去客厅谈 |
[1:57:57] | Afternoon. | 下午好 |
[1:58:04] | Nice little place, isn’t it? | 舒适的小房间 不错 |
[1:58:06] | The sort of quiet little boarding house I had in mind for us. | 有点像我们想象中的小旅馆 |
[1:58:12] | Like other things, it didn’t work out. | 像其他事情一样 也没能做成 |
[1:58:16] | What did you want to say? | 你有什么事要说 |
[1:58:20] | I saw Catherine yesterday. She had some interesting news. | 我昨天见到凯瑟琳 她有些好消息 |
[1:58:26] | She’s expecting. | 她怀孕了 |
[1:58:27] | Oh, my goodness! | 天哪 |
[1:58:34] | She wants us both over for tea on Sunday. | 她想让我们礼拜天去喝杯茶 |
[1:58:39] | I could come and get you. | 我可以来接你 |
[1:58:42] | We could go together on the bus. | 我们可以一起坐巴士去 |
[1:58:45] | Yes, well, we’ll see about that. | 我再考虑一下 |
[1:58:50] | House is that empty without you. | 没有了你 房子都是空荡荡的 |
[1:58:55] | I can’t tell you. | 我没法告诉你 |
[1:59:00] | You cut yourself shaving. | 你又在刮胡须的时候划伤了 |
[1:59:02] | Oh, yeah. I know. | 我知道 |
[1:59:04] | Can’t seem to do anything right these days. | 这些天 做什么都不对劲 |
[1:59:16] | I so often think of the good old days | 史蒂文斯 我经常想起那些美好时光 |
[1:59:19] | when I was housekeeper at Darlington Hall. | 那时我曾是达林顿府女管家 |
[1:59:22] | Those years with you were the happiest of my life. | 那些年是我一生中最快乐的时光 |
[1:59:25] | Would you like more tea? | 您还要再来点茶吗 |
[1:59:28] | Yes, please. Thank you. | 是的 谢谢 |
[1:59:30] | Miss Kenton. I’m sorry, Mrs. Benn. | 肯顿小姐 抱歉 贝恩夫人 |
[1:59:32] | -Sorry, I was delayed. -That’s all right. | -抱歉 我来晚了 -没关系 |
[1:59:35] | Please sit down. | 请坐 |
[1:59:39] | -I’ve ordered some fresh tea. -Lovely. | -我点了一壶茶 -很好 |
[1:59:42] | Would you like some cake? | 您要来点蛋糕吗 |
[1:59:45] | -Sure? -All right. It’s a special occasion. | -真的不要 -最近发胖了 |
[1:59:47] | Good. | 好吧 |
[1:59:49] | Waitress? | 服务生 |
[1:59:51] | -Could we have some cake? -Yes, of course. | -请给我来一份蛋糕 -好的 |
[1:59:57] | -It’s been a long time. -Yes, indeed. | -多年不见啊 -是啊 |
[1:59:59] | You haven’t changed at all. | 您一点也没变 |
[2:00:03] | A little, perhaps. | 也许 一点点 |
[2:00:04] | We’ve all changed, I think. | 我们都有变化 |
[2:00:07] | I’d have known you anywhere, Mr. Stevens. | 无论到哪我都会认得你 |
[2:00:14] | How long’s it been? Twenty years? | 多久了没见了 20年了吧 |
[2:00:16] | Yes, just over, I think. | 我想正好刚过20年 |
[2:00:19] | The tea should be along. | 茶怎么还没来 |
[2:00:43] | We read about the suit for libel. | 我们从报纸上看到了诽谤案 |
[2:00:45] | It’s a shame | 这是个耻辱 |
[2:00:48] | calling His Lordship a traitor. | 竟然称达林顿公爵为叛国者 |
[2:00:50] | Those papers will print anything. | 报纸真是什么都敢写 |
[2:00:52] | They should have lost the case. | 他们不该赢这个案子的 |
[2:00:55] | When His Lordship went to court | 当老爷走上法庭的时候 |
[2:00:58] | he sincerely expected he would get justice. | 他真诚地希望自己能得到公正 |
[2:01:02] | Instead, the newspaper increased its circulation, and His Lordship’s | 然而 报社还变本加厉 |
[2:01:06] | good name was destroyed forever. | 老爷的好名声全给毁了 |
[2:01:10] | Afterwards, in his last years, well | 之后 在他生命的最后几年 |
[2:01:13] | quite honestly, Mrs. Benn | 老实说 贝恩夫人 |
[2:01:16] | his heart was broken. | 他已经心碎了 |
[2:01:18] | I’d take him tea in the library, and he’d be sitting there | 我送茶到书房 而他只是坐在那里 |
[2:01:23] | and he wouldn’t even see me, so deep was he in his own thoughts. | 他看也不看我 沉浸在他自己的世界里 |
[2:01:30] | And he’d be talking to himself, as though he was arguing with someone. | 他还会自言自语 就像在跟别人争论什么似的 |
[2:01:34] | There was no one, of course. | 当然 只有他一个人 |
[2:01:37] | No one came to see him anymore. | 不再有人来看他了 |
[2:01:40] | What about his godson, young Mr. Cardinal? | 那他的教子 卡迪纳尔先生呢 |
[2:01:44] | Mr. Cardinal was killed in the war. Waitress. | 卡迪纳尔先生在战争中牺牲了 |
[2:01:47] | May I have my bill, please? | 我要结帐 |
[2:01:51] | I’m very sorry. | 我很抱歉听到这个消息 |
[2:02:02] | I know you remember Darlington Hall in its best days | 我知道您脑海中的达林顿府是它最繁盛的时期 |
[2:02:06] | and that’s how His Lordship deserves to be remembered. | 老爷也希望这样被铭记 |
[2:02:10] | But perhaps the good days are back, now that Mr. Lewis is here | 可能这些好时光会再来 因为刘易斯先生来了 |
[2:02:14] | and Mrs. Lewis is arriving shortly. | 刘易斯太太也将到来 |
[2:02:16] | Very fortunate to have you running the house. | 他们很幸运 能有你管理房子 |
[2:02:19] | We still have problems, Miss Kenton. I’m sorry. Mrs. Benn. | 我们还是有点问题 肯顿小姐 抱歉 贝恩夫人 |
[2:02:24] | -We still have staff problems. -You mentioned it in your letter. | -我们还是有点人手问题 -你在信里有提到 |
[2:02:30] | Frankly, I’ve been thinking of going back in service. | 老实说 我也在想回去做女管家 |
[2:02:35] | Good | 很好 |
[2:02:37] | But now the situation has changed for me. | 但是现在情形变了 |
[2:02:40] | If I take up any work, it will have to be | 如果我要找份工作 我将 |
[2:02:43] | here in the west country | 找一份在这儿的工作 |
[2:02:46] | because Catherine, our daughter, is expecting a baby. | 因为凯瑟琳 我女儿怀孕了 |
[2:02:52] | So I would like to be near her. | 我想待在她身边 |
[2:02:54] | Of course. | 当然 |
[2:02:56] | And to be near our grandchild as he grows up. | 然后待在孙子的身边 陪他长大 |
[2:02:59] | -Naturally. -Or her, if it’s a little girl. | -这是自然的 -或者孙女 如果是个女孩的话 |
[2:03:12] | When I left Darlington Hall, all those years ago | 多年前我离开达林顿府的时候 |
[2:03:15] | I never realized I was really, truly leaving. | 我并没有意识到是真的离开了 |
[2:03:19] | I believe I thought of it as simply another ruse | 我总想着离开那儿是为了 |
[2:03:23] | to annoy you. | 让你烦恼 |
[2:03:27] | It was a shock to come out here and find myself actually married. | 突然意识到自己已婚 让我很是惊讶 |
[2:03:31] | For a long time, I was | 很长一段时间 我都 |
[2:03:33] | very unhappy. | 很不幸福 |
[2:03:36] | But then Catherine was born, the years went by and one day | 后来凯瑟琳出生了 一年一年过去 |
[2:03:39] | I realized I loved my husband. | 然后意识到我爱我的丈夫 |
[2:03:43] | You see, there is no one | 知道吗 这世界上 |
[2:03:46] | no one in the world who needs me as much as he does. | 没有人会像他那般地需要我 |
[2:03:52] | But still there are times | 但时不时地 |
[2:03:56] | when I think I made a terrible mistake with my life. | 我也会觉得曾犯了一个天大的错误 |
[2:04:03] | I’m sure we all have these thoughts | 我想我们都会有这样的想法 |
[2:04:06] | from time to time. | 时不时地 |
[2:04:43] | People always cheer when they turn the lights on in the evening. | 人们总是在夜晚亮灯时欢呼 |
[2:04:47] | I wonder why. | 我想知道为什么 |
[2:04:50] | They do say | 人们常说 |
[2:04:52] | that for many people, the evening’s the best part of the day. | 对许多人来说 夜晚是一天中最好的时光 |
[2:04:57] | The part they most look forward to. | 是他们最期待的时刻 |
[2:05:00] | Is that so? | 是吗 |
[2:05:03] | What do you most look forward to, Mr. Stevens? | 您最期待的是什么 史蒂文斯 |
[2:05:11] | Getting back to Darlington Hall, principally | 首要的是 回到达林顿府 |
[2:05:14] | and straightening out our staff problems. | 把人手问题解决掉 |
[2:05:16] | You were always able to do that. | 您对这些事总是很在行 |
[2:05:20] | And you had quite a few to straighten out, as I remember. | 我想您肯定有很多事情要处理 |
[2:05:27] | Always was work, work and more work | 总是在工作 工作 更多的工作 |
[2:05:30] | and will continue to be so, I have no doubt. | 然后依旧会如此 毫无疑问 |
[2:05:46] | Mr. Stevens, don’t you wait! That bus is always late. | 史蒂文斯 不用等在那里 这班巴士总是晚点 |
[2:05:51] | Come in out of the wet. | 过来躲躲雨吧 |
[2:06:00] | You must take good care of yourself. | 你要好好照顾自己 |
[2:06:03] | -You too, promise me that. -Oh, yes, I promise. | -你也是 向我保证 -是的 向你保证 |
[2:06:07] | Do all you can to make these years happy for yourself and your husband. | 尽可能地让你和你丈夫幸福吧 |
[2:06:13] | We may never meet again, Mrs. Benn. | 我们可能再也见不到面了 贝恩夫人 |
[2:06:15] | That is why I am permitting myself to be so personal, | 所以我以个人名义说 |
[2:06:18] | if you will forgive me. | 请原谅我 |
[2:06:21] | Thank you, Mr. Stevens. | 谢谢 史蒂文斯 |
[2:06:23] | Oh, here it comes. It’s on time for once. | 车来了 偏偏今天准点了 |
[2:06:48] | Thank you. And thank you so very much for coming. | 谢谢 谢谢你能来 |
[2:06:51] | It was so very kind of you. | 你真是太好了 |
[2:06:53] | It was so nice to see you. | 非常高兴能再见到你 |
[2:06:55] | It was a pleasure to see you again. Goodbye. | 我也很高兴能再见到你 再见 |
[2:06:58] | Take care. | 当心 |
[2:07:48] | You scared me. Where’d you come from? | 你吓到我了 你从哪儿蹦出来的 |
[2:07:52] | You like the suit? | 你喜欢这件吗 |
[2:07:53] | Very good, sir. | 很好 先生 |
[2:08:02] | Good. | 很好 |
[2:08:08] | Watch the chandelier there. | 当心上面的吊灯 |
[2:08:21] | You’re really getting things going here. This is wonderful! | 你真是安排的井井有条 太好了 |
[2:08:26] | I’ve had to ask another three girls from the village to come up. | 我不得不叫上镇上的三个姑娘来帮忙 |
[2:08:30] | And I can promise you that the house will be ready | 我向您保证刘易斯夫人来之前 |
[2:08:34] | and in shape by the time Mrs. Lewis arrives. | 一切都会如期准备妥当 |
[2:08:37] | That sounds good. | 好极了 |
[2:08:40] | I’m expecting a possible new housekeeper this afternoon. | 下午我要见一个女管家应聘者 |
[2:08:43] | A Mrs. Ruth Muspratt. | 露丝·马斯普拉特夫人 |
[2:08:45] | Excellent references. She was matron at a boys’ school in Sussex. | 有很好的推荐信 她在苏塞克斯做过学校督导 |
[2:08:51] | A matron? | 督导 |
[2:08:54] | Sounds like she’ll keep us from misbehaving. | 听上去好像她会好好监督言行举止 |
[2:08:56] | -I certainly hope so, sir. -Good. | -但愿 先生 -好吧 |
[2:09:00] | Good, Stevens. Very good. | 很好 史蒂文斯 非常好 |
[2:09:02] | This is where we had that banquet back in 35′. Remember? | 这里是35年会议的那个宴会厅 记得吗 |
[2:09:06] | We all stood up and delivered ourselves of our principles. | 我们都站起来 发表自己的观点 |
[2:09:10] | God knows what I said. Sure got worked up about it, though. | 天知道我说了什么 不知道有没有起作用 |
[2:09:14] | What did I say anyway, Stevens? | 我到底说了什么 史蒂文斯 |
[2:09:18] | I’m sorry, sir, I was too busy serving | 抱歉 先生 我那时忙着做事 |
[2:09:21] | to listen to the speeches. | 没时间听你们的演说 |
[2:09:29] | We got a visitor here. | 我们有个访客来了 |
[2:09:32] | Be very careful. | 当心 |
[2:09:34] | Come here. That’s a boy. Come on. | 过来 小家伙 过来 |
[2:09:38] | Okay. Easy does it. | 慢慢来 |
[2:09:42] | Come on! | 过来 |
[2:09:46] | You don’t want to startle it. | 不要去吓它 |
[2:09:49] | It’ll come down. | 它会下来的 |
[2:09:54] | I think if we leave the window open | 我们把窗打开 |
[2:10:03] | Good. | 很好 |
[2:10:04] | Very still. | 差一点 |
[2:10:06] | Go on. Out! Come on. Out! | 去吧 出去吧 |
[2:10:09] | Well done. | 做的好 |
[2:10:14] | Well done, sir. | 做的好 先生 |