| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:14] | Created By befirelast@pt.sjtu Created time 11.09.17 14:06:35 | |
| [01:09] | Ican’t say what made me fall in love with Vietnam. | 我说不出是什么使我爱上越南 | 
| [01:14] | That a woman’s voice can drug you? | 因为这的女人声音使人迷醉? | 
| [01:17] | That everything is so intense – | 因为这的一切都很热情? | 
| [01:22] | the colours, | 颜色 | 
| [01:24] | the taste, | 气味 | 
| [01:26] | even the rain? | 甚至这儿的雨? | 
| [01:28] | Nothing like the filthy rain in London. | 这儿的雨可不像伦敦那可恶的雨 | 
| [01:39] | 片名: 安静的美国人 | |
| [01:42] | They say whatever you’re looking for | 越南西贡,1952 人们说不管你寻求什么 | 
| [01:45] | you will find here. | 你都能在这儿如愿以偿 | 
| [01:48] | They say you come to Vietnam | 人们说来到越南 | 
| [01:50] | and you understand a lot in a few minutes. | 你能立刻明白很多事 | 
| [01:52] | But the rest has got to be lived. | 剩下的你得自己去经历 | 
| [01:57] | The smell, that’s the first thing that hits you – | 首先是气味 – | 
| [02:00] | promising everything in exchange for your soul. | 预示着你用灵魂交换的一切 | 
| [02:06] | And the heat. | 然后是热天气 | 
| [02:08] | Your shirt is straight away a rag. | 你的衣服马上变得不像样 | 
| [02:11] | You can hardly remember your name, | 你会记不起自己的名字 | 
| [02:14] | or what you came to escape from. | 或是你来这是逃避什么的 | 
| [02:18] | But at night, there’s a breeze. | 不过在晚上,这儿凉风悉悉 | 
| [02:21] | The river is beautiful. | 这的河美极了 | 
| [02:25] | You could be forgiven for thinking there was no war, | 没有战争,那些枪声只是烟花 | 
| [02:28] | that the gunshots were fireworks, | 这些自欺欺人的想法都会被谅解 | 
| [02:30] | that only pleasure matters. | 只有享乐最重要 | 
| [02:33] | A pipe of opium, | 抽斗鸦片 | 
| [02:36] | or the touch of a girl who might tell you she loves you. | 或抚摸那说爱你的女人 | 
| [02:44] | And then something happens, | 然而有些事还是发生了 | 
| [02:47] | as you knew it would, | 你知道那会发生 | 
| [02:49] | and nothing can ever be the same again. | 然后一切都改变了 | 
| [02:55] | Monsieur Fowler. | 福勒先生 | 
| [02:57] | Thank you for coming in. | 感谢你亲自过来 | 
| [02:59] | I’m sorry to ask you at this hour. | 很抱歉这时候打挠你 | 
| [03:03] | I know about as much as you do. | 我知道的不比你多 | 
| [03:05] | He’s an American. He’s about 30. | 他是美国人,大约30岁 | 
| [03:08] | He works for the Economic Aid Mission. | 他为经济援助团工作 | 
| [03:10] | And I like him. | 我喜欢他 | 
| [03:12] | He’s a very good chap. Serious. | 他是个不错的小伙子,说真的 | 
| [03:15] | Not like those noisy bastards down at the Continental. | 不像其他欧洲饭店里吵闹的混球 | 
| [03:20] | He’s a quiet American. | 他很安静 | 
| [03:22] | Yes. A very quiet American. | 是的,一个非常安静的美国人 | 
| [03:28] | He’s dead, isn’t he? | 他死了,是吗? | 
| [03:32] | Not guilty. I just put two and two together. | 不是做贼心虚 我只是根据事实推测 | 
| [04:01] | He was killed by a knife. | 他被刀捅死的 | 
| [04:07] | Can you identify him? | 你能辨认出他吗? | 
| [04:11] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [04:13] | He was… a friend. | 他是…我的朋友 | 
| [04:18] | To tell you the truth, I’m not completely sorry. | 老实说我并不怎么为他悲哀 | 
| [04:21] | These Americans are causing a lot of trouble to us. | 这些美国人给我们惹了不少麻烦 | 
| [04:25] | But still, a murder is a murder. | 不过这始终是凶杀案 | 
| [04:28] | Anything to help us? | 能提供什么线索吗? | 
| [04:32] | No. | 没有 | 
| [04:34] | Nothing at all. | 一点线索也没 | 
| [04:40] | Please. | 那请吧 | 
| [06:03] | Pyle… | 派尔… | 
| [06:10] | est mort. | 他死了 | 
| [06:17] | Assassinated. | 被暗杀了 | 
| [06:24] | How? | 怎么死的? | 
| [06:28] | He was stabbed. | 被刀捅死的 | 
| [06:42] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [06:46] | He was in love with me. | 他很爱我 | 
| [06:51] | Yes. He was. | 是的,的确 | 
| [06:57] | I’m so sorry, Phuong. | 我很抱歉,凤 | 
| [07:03] | I go to my mother’s. | 我回我妈那儿 | 
| [07:10] | I must think. | 我得静一静 | 
| [07:25] | I met Pyle where you meet everybody – | 我是在欧洲旅馆里见到派尔的 – | 
| [07:27] | at the Hotel Continental. | 在那儿你能遇到很多人 | 
| [07:29] | I’m there every morning at 1 1. 00. | 我每天上午11点都会在那儿 | 
| [07:32] | I’m English. I have habits. I drink tea. | 我是英国人,我有去喝茶的习惯 | 
| [07:36] | I’m a reporter, so I listen. | 我是个记者,所以听听小道消息 | 
| [07:39] | I have a lover. I like to watch her arrive at the milk bar. | 我有个情人 我喜欢看着她和朋友走进饮料吧 | 
| [07:47] | And there was Alden Pyle. | 我在那看到艾登.派尔 | 
| [07:49] | A face with no history and no problems. | 看到他年青正直的脸 | 
| [07:51] | The face we all had once. | 我们都曾有过这样一张脸 | 
| [07:54] | – I’m Alden Pyle. – I’m Thomas Fowler. | – 我叫艾登.派尔 -我叫托马斯.福勒 | 
| [07:56] | – The London Times. – You’ve done your homework. | – 你是伦敦时报的 – 你知道很多嘛 | 
| [07:59] | I’ve read your articles. | 我读过你的文章 | 
| [08:01] | – May I join you? – Please. | – 我能坐这吗? – 请 | 
| [08:03] | And what brings you to Saigon, Mr Pyle? | 你来西贡做什么,派尔先生? | 
| [08:07] | I’m with the Economic Aid Mission, on the medical side. | 我是经济援助团的 负责医疗方面 | 
| [08:10] | Eye disease. Do know trachoma? It’s very common here. Very easy to treat. | 眼疾.你知道沙眼吗? 这病在这很普遍,实事上很容易治 | 
| [08:15] | – Are you staying at the hotel? – No. I just dropped by for tea. | – 你住在旅店? – 只是顺便过来喝杯茶 | 
| [08:19] | On the way to the office. | 我要经过这去上班 | 
| [08:20] | This is really a stroke of luck for me. | 能见到你真是意外的好运 | 
| [08:23] | You’re one of the few correspondents | 你是少数几个… | 
| [08:25] | who goes out into the field to see what’s happening. | 能深入战场了解事实真相的通讯员之一 | 
| [08:28] | Not any more. Besides, I have never thought of myself as a correspondent. | 不再是了. 而且我不认为自己是通讯员 | 
| [08:33] | I’m just a reporter. I offer no point of view. | 我只是个记者,我没有自己的观点 | 
| [08:36] | I take no action. I don’t get involved. | 我不采取行动 也不参与行动 | 
| [08:39] | I just report what I see. | 我只是报道我所看到的 | 
| [08:41] | – But you must have an opinion. – Even an opinion is a form of action. | – 但是你总有想法吧 – 就算想法也是一种行动. | 
| [08:45] | Still, I’d appreciate… | 我还是… | 
| [08:46] | Pyle was hungry for everything I could tell him about Vietnam | 派尔渴望知道越南的一切 | 
| [08:49] | and her fight for independence. | 越南的独立战争 | 
| [08:52] | Why were the French losing the war? | 为什么法国人打了败仗? | 
| [08:55] | And why were the communists winning? | 为什么共产党赢了? | 
| [08:59] | Then he saw Phuong. | 然后他见到凤 | 
| [09:03] | I should have realised how saving a country and saving a woman | 我当时就该意识到对派尔这样的人而言 | 
| [09:07] | could be the same thing to someone like Pyle. | 拯救一个女子和拯救一个国家一样重要 | 
| [09:10] | We’ve got to contain communism. | 我们得遏制共产主义 | 
| [09:12] | What could be done, what should be done, | 我们能做到 | 
| [09:15] | what he thought, what he’d read. | 他的思想,他读的书 | 
| [09:17] | He made me remember there was a time | 他使我记起 | 
| [09:20] | when I had wanted to make a difference. | 曾经我也有远大抱负 | 
| [09:22] | – T o watch liberty snuffed out? – “Liberty” is a western word. | – 就这么看着他们失去自由吗? – “自由” 是个西式词语 | 
| [09:25] | How do you define it for the Vietnamese? | 你认为越南人的自由是什么? | 
| [09:28] | The freedom to choose. | 自由选择权 | 
| [09:30] | OK, you give them that, they vote and they elect Ho Chi Minh. | 你给他们选择权 他们会投票选胡志明 | 
| [09:34] | Things are more complicated than they seem. | 事实往往比它看起来要复杂 | 
| [09:38] | – What was that? – A grenade. | – 那是什么? -手榴弹 | 
| [09:42] | – It sounded like a car backfiring. – A week here, you’ll know the difference. | – 听上去像汽车逆火 – 在这呆一个星期,你就能听出不同来 | 
| [09:45] | It’s been a genuine pleasure meeting you. | 见到你真的很高兴 | 
| [09:48] | – Maybe we could eat dinner. – I look forward to it. | – 也许我们能一起吃个饭 – 我很期待 | 
| [09:51] | Great. | 好极了 | 
| [09:52] | Good morning. | 早安 | 
| [09:57] | Morning, Hinh. Anything new? | 早安,辛.有什么新闻吗? | 
| [10:01] | Oh, corruption, mendacity… | 腐败,造假… | 
| [10:04] | I said new. | 我说了”新”闻 | 
| [10:06] | There is a rumour that the communists | 有谣言说… | 
| [10:08] | are planning an attack in the north, at Phat Diem. | 共产党计划要袭击北部的Phat Diem. | 
| [10:11] | One of your contacts? | 你的线人说的? | 
| [10:14] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 | 
| [10:18] | And a telegram. | 你的电报 | 
| [10:21] | – From the London office. – Mr Stemins. | – 伦敦办事处发来的 – 史达明先生 | 
| [10:23] | He says the paper has conducted a review of the foreign desk. | 他说报社回顾了外国办事处的情况 | 
| [10:27] | He wants you based in London. | 他想要你回伦敦 | 
| [10:30] | Christ. | 天啊 | 
| [10:33] | I thought you liked London, sir. | 我以为你喜欢伦敦,先生 | 
| [10:35] | I do, but I like it just where it is. I don’t want to bloody go there. | 我是喜欢,但只是喜欢那个地理位置 不是该死的去那儿 | 
| [10:38] | For what? A desk job? | 为什么? 办事处差事? | 
| [10:41] | They probably think it’s cheaper | 也许他们认为… | 
| [10:43] | to let the wire services cover Vietnam. | 让通讯社覆盖越南会更便宜 | 
| [10:45] | How many stories have we given them? | 我们一共交过几篇报道? | 
| [10:47] | This year? | 今年内? | 
| [10:49] | – Yes. – Three. | – 是的 – 三篇 | 
| [10:52] | Oh, shit. | 噢,该死 | 
| [11:08] | Maybe… I should go up there. | 也许…我该去那儿 | 
| [11:13] | – Where, sir? – Phat Diem. | – 哪儿,先生? – Phat Diem. | 
| [11:17] | It’s not an easy place to get into, with the communist attack. | 那地方可不容易进 共产党正在攻打那儿 | 
| [11:21] | Send a cable to Stemins. | 给史达明发个电报 | 
| [11:24] | Understand your current concern. Stop. | 了解你目前的顾虑.句号 | 
| [11:28] | Am working on a story of major proportions. Stop. | 正在写一篇重要的报道.句号 | 
| [11:32] | Suggest I remain in Saigon until completed. Stop. | 要求留下直到写完.句号 | 
| [11:37] | Fowler. | 福勒 | 
| [11:39] | Which story is that, sir? | 什么重要的报道,先生? | 
| [11:44] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [11:47] | But I’m sure you know someone who can get me in there. | 但我知道你一定认得什么人 能把我弄进那地方 | 
| [12:23] | Today our anniversary. Did you forget? | 今天是我们的周年纪念 你不记得了? | 
| [12:26] | Can it be two years already? | 这么快就两年了? | 
| [12:28] | – Yes. – Yes? | – 是的 – 是的? | 
| [12:31] | Be careful with me. I’m old and fragile. | 小心点.我老了,很脆弱 | 
| [12:36] | Not so old. | 没那么老 | 
| [12:40] | Not so fragile. | 也没那么脆弱 | 
| [12:51] | Tom! | 托马斯! | 
| [12:53] | Thomas. | 托马斯. | 
| [12:56] | – Hello. – Hello again. | – 你好 – 你好 | 
| [12:59] | I’m here with some friends. Care to join us? | 我和一些朋友一起 介意和我们一块吗? | 
| [13:01] | – Phuong, this is Mr Pyle. – Alden, please. | – 凤,这是派尔先生. – 艾登,请 | 
| [13:06] | 很高兴见到你 | |
| [13:08] | 请原谅我的法语说得不好 | |
| [13:11] | You know Joe Tunney, from the American legation. | 认识乔.滕尼吗? 是美国公使馆的 | 
| [13:14] | Yes, I know Joe. Overthrown any small countries recently? | 是的,我认识乔 最近又颠覆了什么小国了吗? | 
| [13:19] | – Fowler sees conspiracies everywhere. – That’s for sure. | – 福勒到处都有同谋 – 没错 | 
| [13:22] | Is it true that the communists are attacking Phat Diem? | 共产党真的要攻打Phat Diem吗? | 
| [13:25] | How the fuck should I know? We only report victories. | 我他妈怎么知道? 我们只报道胜利 | 
| [13:29] | One of our medical teams wasn’t allowed past Phnom Penh. | 我们有队医疗小组 不被允许经过金边 | 
| [13:32] | – I was thinking of going up there. – It’s a Catholic town, isn’t it? | – 我正想去那儿呢 – 那是个天主教城镇,是吗? | 
| [13:36] | – You got a date tonight? – Bill… | – 你今晚有约会吗? | 
| [13:40] | She’s got a date every night. | 她每晚都有约会 | 
| [13:42] | You got your piece of ass. I want mine. | 你有你的女人了,我想要我的 | 
| [13:45] | Pyle, fellas, let’s go to the House of 500 Girls. | 派尔,小伙子们, 我们去500女孩之家吧 | 
| [13:51] | Oh, no thanks. | 不,谢了 | 
| [13:52] | – I was planning on taking them to dinner. – We’ve already booked at the Arc en Ciel. | – 我本该带他们去吃饭 – 我们已在 Arc en Ciel订了位子 | 
| [13:57] | That’s great. You go eat at the L’Arc en Ciel | 那很好 你们在那吃 | 
| [14:01] | and I’ll get eaten next door. | 我在隔壁吃 | 
| [14:03] | Sounds like a plan. Come on, Bill. | 听上去不错 来吧,比尔 | 
| [14:06] | Walk with me. | 跟我走 | 
| [14:24] | Seems like a nice young man. | 看上去是个不错的年青人 | 
| [14:26] | – What does he do? – Something with medical aid. | – 他干什么的? – 医疗援助什么的 | 
| [14:34] | You go and get us a table and I’ll go and rescue our Mr Pyle. | 你先去占张桌子 我去拯救我们的派尔先生 | 
| [14:40] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [15:27] | I’m not staying. Just dropping him off. | 我不进去,我只是送他来 | 
| [15:36] | Pyle! Let’s get out of here. | 派尔,快过来 | 
| [15:42] | Put your arm around this one. | 抱着她 | 
| [15:44] | If they think you’ve chosen one, they’ll let you go. | 他们以为你已经挑了个姑娘 就不会缠着你了 | 
| [15:48] | Put your arm around her. | 抱着她 | 
| [15:53] | – Night, Granger! – Who wants the money most? | – 晚安,格里吉! – 谁最想要这钱? | 
| [16:11] | Miss Phuong, please forgive us for keeping you waiting. | 凤小姐,很抱歉让你久等 | 
| [16:14] | I forgive you. | 我原谅你 | 
| [16:15] | – We had to make sure Bill got home. – Home! | – 我们不得不看看比尔是不是到家了 – 家! | 
| [16:19] | – Number 30? – Sorry? | – 30号? – 什么? | 
| [16:22] | Tickets for the taxi dancers. You buy a ticket for a dance. | 舞小姐的票 你买张票跳一支舞 | 
| [16:26] | Buy a ticket. Maybe I dance with you. | 买张吧.也许我会陪你跳 | 
| [16:33] | There you are. | 给你 | 
| [16:37] | Shall we? | 能请你吗? | 
| [17:33] | Phuong is a very beautiful name. | 凤是个很美的名字 | 
| [17:38] | It mean phoenix. | 是凤凰的意思 | 
| [17:42] | I thought it meant flower. Like the ones in your hair. | 我以为是花的意思 就像你头上戴的 | 
| [17:46] | Do you like my hair? | 你喜欢我的发式吗? | 
| [17:49] | – This is traditional style. – It’s very nice. | – 这是传统发式 – 很漂亮 | 
| [17:54] | – Do you know Vietnamese? – Sure. Try me. | – 会说越南语吗? – 当然.考我吧 | 
| [18:00] | 你跳舞时不要带领舞伴 | |
| [18:04] | No. I don’t… | 不,我不会… | 
| [18:06] | I only know two words. | 我只知道两个词 | 
| [18:14] | – Mr Fowler. – Hello. | – 福勒先生 – 你好 | 
| [18:16] | – May l? – Of course. | – 我能坐下吗? – 当然 | 
| [18:19] | Thanks. | 谢谢 | 
| [18:21] | Haven’t seen you for a long time. | 好久不见了 | 
| [18:24] | – I’m away a lot. – Yes. | – 我常不在这 – 是的 | 
| [18:31] | Who’s he? Your friend? | 他是谁?你朋友? | 
| [18:34] | His name is Pyle. He’s with the American Economic Mission. | 他叫派尔 他是美国经济使团的 | 
| [18:37] | He’s from Boston. In America. | 他来自波斯顿,美国 | 
| [18:40] | He’s a very bad dancer. | 他跳得很烂 | 
| [18:42] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [18:49] | – He is married? – Not that I know of, no. | – 他结婚了吗? – 据我所知没有 | 
| [18:56] | This is Phuong’s sister. Alden Pyle. | 这是凤的姐姐 艾登.派尔 | 
| [18:59] | Very happy to meet you. | 很高兴见到你 | 
| [19:04] | Your father is a business man? | 你父亲是商人? | 
| [19:07] | No. He’s a professor. | 不,他是教授 | 
| [19:11] | My sister is very good dancer, yes? | 我妹妹舞跳得很好,对吗? | 
| [19:13] | – She’s too good for me. – She’s my only sister. | – 比我好多了 – 她是我唯一的妹妹 | 
| [19:19] | 他很可爱,是美国人 还很有钱 | |
| [19:22] | 有时你和你所讨厌的法国人 一样那么粗俗 | |
| [19:25] | Your sister’s a very pretty girl. | 你妹妹很漂亮 | 
| [19:28] | My sister is the most beautiful girl in Saigon. | 我妹妹是西贡最漂亮的女孩 | 
| [19:32] | I don’t doubt that at all. Mr Fowler’s a very lucky man. | 我绝对相信 福勒先生是个非常幸运的男人 | 
| [19:38] | My father was very sad he had no grandchildren. | 我父亲因为没有孙子非常难过 | 
| [19:44] | Would you like a drink? | 想喝点什么吗? | 
| [19:46] | No. Thank you. | 不,谢谢 | 
| [19:48] | My friends. | 我朋友在那儿 | 
| [19:51] | So pleased to have met you. I hope we meet again soon. | 真高兴见到你 期望很快能再面 | 
| [19:54] | – Perhaps you could arrange. – When I get back from the north. | – 也许你能安排一下 – 等我从北部回来吧 | 
| [19:58] | You are going north? | 你要去北部? | 
| [20:00] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [20:03] | Then you must come and have dinner | 那你一定要和我及我妹妹吃午饭 | 
| [20:05] | with me and my sister when Mr Fowler is gone. | 当福勒先生不在时 | 
| [20:09] | – To cheer her up. – Thank you. I’d like that very much. | – 让她高兴高兴 – 谢谢,我很想去 | 
| [20:19] | – What a nice woman. – Absolute saint. | – 多好的女子 – 绝对的圣人 | 
| [20:22] | She used to work in office. Import-export. | 她以前在进出口办事处工作 | 
| [20:25] | – Really? – She knows shorthand. | – 真的吗? – 她会速记 | 
| [20:28] | – Does she? – Maybe you need someone. | – 是吗? – 也许你那需要人 | 
| [20:31] | Maybe we could work something out. | 也许能想想办法 | 
| [20:40] | Please forgive me for dancing with Miss Phuong so many times. | 请原谅我和凤小姐跳了那么多次舞 | 
| [20:43] | – I like watching her dance. – She’s a very good dancer. | – 我喜欢看她跳舞 – 她跳得真好 | 
| [20:47] | She should be. She used to do it for a living. | 那是当然 她以前靠跳舞吃饭呢 | 
| [20:51] | – What do you mean? – She was a taxi dancer. | – 什么意思? – 她以前是舞小姐 | 
| [20:54] | A hostess. Here at the Arc en Ciel. | 舞女,就在 Arc en Ciel. | 
| [20:58] | I thought you said she came from a good family. | 我以为你说她是来自好人家的 | 
| [21:01] | She did, but the father died so the sisters had to earn a living. | 是啊,但他父亲死了 所以姐妹俩得自己讨生活 | 
| [21:05] | – Well, that’s too bad. – What? | – 噢,那太糟了 – 什么? | 
| [21:09] | Isn’t that just a step up from the girls across the street? | 那不是只比街上那些女子好一点点? | 
| [21:12] | Good God, no. It took me six months to get her to go on a date. | 天啊,不 我等了六个月才约到她 | 
| [21:20] | Grenade. | 手榴弹 | 
| [21:27] | – So are you married? – Yes, I am. | – 那你结婚了吗? – 是的 | 
| [21:36] | But not to her. | 但不是和她 | 
| [22:17] | There’s something I haven’t told you. | 有件事我还没和你说 | 
| [22:22] | I got a telegram from the paper, asking me to go back to London. | 总部来了电报,叫我回伦敦 | 
| [22:29] | So will you go? | 那你会走吗? | 
| [22:32] | I’ve cabled them, | 我给他们回了电报 | 
| [22:34] | asking them to let me stay, but… | 请求让我留下,但是… | 
| [22:40] | if they stop paying me, | 如果他们不付我薪水 | 
| [22:42] | I’m not sure how we’ll live. | 我不知道我们该怎么生活 | 
| [22:47] | I come with you to London. | 我和你一起回伦敦 | 
| [22:51] | I’d marry you if I could. | 如果可以我一定跟你结婚 | 
| [22:55] | – You know that. – Yes. | – 你知道的这点 – 是的 | 
| [22:59] | That’s what I always tell my sister. | 我总是这么跟我姐姐说的 | 
| [23:14] | You think your wife will give divorce? | 你觉得你妻子肯离婚吗? | 
| [23:22] | I doubt it. | 我不知道 | 
| [23:35] | When did everything change? | 一切从什么时候开始改变的? | 
| [23:38] | Maybe there isn’t one moment. | 也许不是一朝一夕的事 | 
| [23:44] | The cable from London calling me home? | 招我回伦敦的电报? | 
| [23:47] | Or watching them dancing together? | 或盯着他们一起跳舞? | 
| [23:50] | Or what followed between us, she and I, | 或是接下来我和她之间的… | 
| [23:54] | through the long night? | 漫漫长夜? | 
| [24:04] | I was never brave. | 我从没勇敢过 | 
| [24:06] | But there I was, heading north, | 但我还是去了北部 | 
| [24:10] | the fear of losing Phuong more terrifying | 失去凤的恐惧… | 
| [24:13] | than the fear of any bullet. | 要大过挨子弹的恐惧 | 
| [24:22] | The communists attacked four days ago. | 共产党人4天前袭击了这里 | 
| [24:26] | We pushed them back only yesterday. | 到昨天才被我们击退 | 
| [24:29] | We think there is 300 in this village. | 我们认为还有300人在村里 | 
| [24:34] | – But you will not see them. – It’s getting worse, isn’t it? | – 但你看不到他们 – 情况越来越糟了,是吗? | 
| [24:38] | How long can you keep going? | 你们还能维持多久? | 
| [24:40] | A few months, maybe. | 几个月,也许 | 
| [24:42] | My men are counting bullets. | 我的手下都在数着子弹打 | 
| [25:25] | No, no! Don’t shoot! | 不,不!别开枪! | 
| [25:32] | What the hell are you doing here? | 你来这干嘛? | 
| [25:34] | They wouldn’t let my truck out of Phnom Penh | 他们不让我的车开过金边 | 
| [25:36] | so I figured I’d see what was going on for myself. | 我只好设法自个过来 | 
| [25:40] | You’re lucky to get here alive. | 你能活着来到这真是幸运 | 
| [25:46] | It wasn’t that hard after I hired a boat. It wasn’t expensive. | 我弄到船后事情就不难了 这不贵 | 
| [25:49] | – In the end I just bought it. – You are mad. | – 最后我干脆买下它 – 你疯了 | 
| [25:52] | – I’m mad? – Yes. | – 我疯了? – 是的 | 
| [25:53] | Have you ever seen anyone with trachoma? | 你有没有看到谁得了沙眼? | 
| [25:55] | – Yes, I suppose I have. – It’s not that easy to remain uninvolved. | – 是的,我想是的 – 想事不关己不是那么容易的 | 
| [26:00] | This way. | 这边走 | 
| [26:01] | “Not that easy to remain uninvolved. “ | ”事不关己不是那么容易的 ” | 
| [26:08] | I had hidden for so long behind a typewriter. | 我躲在打字机后太久了 | 
| [26:14] | What we found there, what we saw, in Phat Diem. | 我们在 Phat Diem所见所闻 | 
| [26:20] | What did that do? | 那意味这什么? | 
| [26:24] | To his zeal, to my detachment? | 他的热诚,我的冷漠? | 
| [26:28] | The dead are not involved. | 死人就事不关己了 | 
| [26:31] | The dead have no zeal. | 死人没有热诚 | 
| [26:34] | They are lying in wait. | 他们躺着等待 | 
| [26:37] | You see them, all their tenderness, | 你看见他们,他们的惨状 | 
| [26:42] | and then they haunt you. | 荤绕在你心头,挥之不去 | 
| [26:46] | – Communists? – This is not the work of French soldiers. | – 共产党人干的? – 这不是法国士兵干的 | 
| [26:51] | It doesn’t make sense. | 这不合情理 | 
| [26:54] | The communists don’t kill townspeople. | 共产党人不杀平民 | 
| [26:57] | – It is not in their interest. – Maybe another faction. | – 他们犯不着这样 – 也许是另一个党派干的 | 
| [27:02] | There are so many of them. | 这有那么多党派 | 
| [27:05] | Each with their own army. | 每个党派都有自己的军队 | 
| [27:20] | What’s that book you’re always reading? | 你总在看的那本是什么书? | 
| [27:22] | York Harding. The Dangers To Democracy. | 约克.哈丁 民主的威胁 | 
| [27:25] | – An American? – Yeah. | – 美国作家? – 是的 | 
| [27:27] | He was out here a couple of years back. | 他在这儿呆了几年才回去 | 
| [27:30] | – Was he here long? – I don’t know. | – 他呆了很久吗? – 我不知道 | 
| [27:33] | I heard him lecture once. Joe actually met him. | 我听过他的一次演讲 乔见过他 | 
| [27:35] | He put forward the idea of a third force to run Vietnam. | 他提出由第三方力量来控制越南 | 
| [27:38] | – Not the communists and not the French. – Not the Americans? | – 不是共产党,不是法国人 – 不是美国人? | 
| [27:42] | No. We’re not colonialists. | 不,我们可不是殖民主义者 | 
| [27:44] | Something that could really help these people. | 有时那反而能真得帮助这些人 | 
| [27:47] | – You have a gun, either of you? – No. | – 你们谁有枪吗? – 没有 | 
| [27:50] | They shall attack again tonight. | 他们今晚会进攻这里 | 
| [27:53] | You don’t want to be taken alive. | 你不会想被活捉的 | 
| [27:56] | Believe me. | 相信我 | 
| [27:59] | Shoot yourselves. | 必要时自行了断吧 | 
| [28:02] | – Thank you. – Thanks. | – 谢谢 | 
| [28:04] | Stay inside that bunker. | 呆在碉堡里 | 
| [28:21] | – Do you want something to eat? – No, thank you. | – 想吃点吗? – 不,谢谢 | 
| [28:26] | Come on. | 说吧 | 
| [28:29] | You didn’t come up to check your medical team. | 你来这不是为了医疗队 | 
| [28:32] | Joe Tunney sent you, right? A little intelligence work. | 乔.滕尼派你来的,是不是? 收信点情报 | 
| [28:42] | I’ve never have been very good at keeping secrets. | 我总是藏不住秘密 | 
| [28:45] | There is another reason why I came up here. | 我来这还有个原因 | 
| [28:52] | – It’s you. – Me? | – 为了你 – 我? | 
| [28:57] | Yeah. | 是的 | 
| [29:00] | You said that you might be coming up here. | 你说过你可能来这儿 | 
| [29:13] | The thing is, it’s about Phuong. | 我想说的是, 有关凤的 | 
| [29:17] | Well, I guess it started that night when we were | 呃,从那晚我们第一次见面 | 
| [29:20] | at the Arc en Ciel and I was dancing with her. | 在 Arc en Ciel,我和她跳舞 | 
| [29:23] | I didn’t think you ever got close enough. | 我不认为你们会有近一步关系 | 
| [29:25] | And then I had dinner with her and her sister | 然后我和她还有她姐姐一起吃饭 | 
| [29:31] | that Saturday and… | 那个周六… | 
| [29:35] | just when I was sitting there looking at her, | 当我坐在那儿看着她 | 
| [29:40] | it all just became so clear to me. | 一切在我看来都再清楚不过了 | 
| [29:43] | I see. | 我明白 | 
| [29:45] | Look, Tom, none of this was planned. | 听着,托马斯, 我不是有预谋这样的 | 
| [29:47] | There’s no way… | 不可能… | 
| [29:49] | I never ever used to believe in love at first sight. | 我从不相信一见钟情 | 
| [29:54] | But after seeing those other girls in that awful place | 但是自从见到那可怕的地方的那些女子 | 
| [29:57] | and thinking that Phuong could easily become one of them, | 并且想到凤很可能变成她们中的一个 | 
| [30:02] | I want to protect her. | 我想保护她 | 
| [30:03] | What did she say when you offered her your protection? | 你想保护她时她怎么说? | 
| [30:06] | – I haven’t told her yet. – You haven’t? | – 我还没告诉她 – 你还没? | 
| [30:09] | No. I didn’t think it would be right. I wanted to speak with you first. | 没.我觉得那样不妥 我想先告诉你 | 
| [30:14] | Look, if you two were married that would be completely different. | 听着,如果你们俩结婚了,那情况会完全不同 | 
| [30:18] | I can never marry her. Oh, shit! | 我不可能和她结婚 噢,该死! | 
| [30:20] | My wife would never give me a divorce. She’s a Catholic. | 我妻子不可能同意离婚 她是天主教徒 | 
| [30:28] | They’re getting closer. They’re walking in. | 他们靠近了,他们开进来了 | 
| [30:54] | Dear Thomas – I guess I’ll be back in Saigon ahead of you. | 亲爱的托马斯 我想我会比你早回西贡 | 
| [30:58] | And I wanted to reassure you | 我再次向你保证 | 
| [31:02] | that I won’t go to see Phuong until after you return. | 直到你回来,我不会见凤 | 
| [31:06] | If you can make the next transport out, you should be back by the end of the week. | 如果你能赶上下一次出城 你将会在这周末回来 | 
| [31:11] | I can check in with your assistant to see if you made it. | 我会向你的助手打听你的消息 | 
| [31:15] | If so, I’ll come around to see you both together on Friday. | 如果你赶上了,我会在周五来见你 | 
| [31:19] | Say 5. 00? | 5.00行吗? | 
| [31:22] | Anyone due to go out to Hong Kong? | 有人要去香港吗? | 
| [31:24] | Someone from Reuters, I believe. | 我想路透社的人会去 | 
| [31:27] | Type this up and ask him to cable it to London for me. | 把这个打出来,叫他帮我发到伦敦去 | 
| [31:30] | – Your big story? – Yes. | – 你的大新闻? – 是的 | 
| [31:32] | Massacre at Phat Diem. Nobody did it, of course. | Phat Diem大屠杀 不知道谁干的 | 
| [31:35] | Not the French, not the communists… | 不是法国人,不是共产党… | 
| [31:38] | But there are rumours. | 只有各种谣传 | 
| [31:42] | – What’s going on? – I forgot. | – 怎么回事? – 我忘了这事了 | 
| [31:45] | – What? – It’s a rally. | – 什么? – 是个集会 | 
| [31:48] | – A new political party. – Bloody hell. | – 一个新的政党 – 真见鬼 | 
| [31:51] | I think I’d better leave your car here, sir. We can walk. | 我想还是把车留在这儿吧,先生 我们可以步行回去 | 
| [32:30] | – lsn’t that Colonel The? – General The. | – 那不是泰上校吗? – 是将军 | 
| [32:33] | – Who made him a general? – He did. | – 谁升他为将军的? – 他自己 | 
| [32:35] | He broke away from the French and formed his own army. | 他脱离法国人,自己组建了军队 | 
| [33:14] | – Hello. – Hi. | – 你好 – 嗨 | 
| [33:18] | You have a dog. | 你有狗 | 
| [33:22] | – Come in. – Thanks. | – 进来 – 谢谢 | 
| [33:32] | – Where’s Phuong? – She’s gone to see her sister. | – 凤在哪? – 她去看她姐了 | 
| [33:38] | – Would you like a whisky? – Just a soda, thanks. | – 想喝点威士忌吗? – 苏打水就行了,谢谢 | 
| [33:45] | Does he have to do that? | 他非得跳上床吗? | 
| [33:48] | Duke! Come here. | 公爵!到这儿来 | 
| [33:51] | – You called him Duke. – Yeah. | – 你叫他公爵? – 是的 | 
| [33:53] | I found this guy in the street. | 我在街上捡回来的 | 
| [33:56] | Didn’t l? Who could turn their back on a mug like that? | 谁会不理睬这么可爱的狗呢? | 
| [34:00] | I saw you and Joe Tunney at the parade. | 我在游行上看到你和乔.滕尼 | 
| [34:04] | Did you go on to the rally? | 你也去了集会? | 
| [34:06] | Thanks. Yeah, I did. It was really something else. | 谢谢.是的,我去了 不过是为了别的事 | 
| [34:09] | I thought only American politicians went in for that nonsense. | 我以为只有美国政客才爱搞那种无聊事 | 
| [34:13] | All that was missing was the ticker tape. | 就差用来表示欢迎的彩带了 | 
| [34:15] | They sure didn’t forget the brass band. | 他们没忘军乐队伴奏 | 
| [34:19] | Impressive guy, that General The. | 令人印象很深刻,那个泰将军 | 
| [34:21] | It doesn’t trouble you that he’s a complete egomaniac? | 你不介意他是个彻头彻尾的自大狂吗? | 
| [34:23] | Look, I don’t want to talk about Phuong behind her back. | 听着,我不想在凤背后说她 | 
| [34:28] | I thought she was going to be here, but… | 我以为她会在这儿,但… | 
| [34:31] | – Her sister told me about her predicament. – And what predicament is that? | – 她姐姐跟我说了她的困境 – 什么困境? | 
| [34:35] | I think you know. | 我以为你知道 | 
| [34:37] | You can’t marry her, | 你不能娶她 | 
| [34:39] | and by living with you she can never have a proper marriage to a Vietnamese man. | 和你在一起,她永远不可能与越南人有正常的婚姻 | 
| [34:43] | She doesn’t need a proper marriage with a Vietnamese man. | 她不需要同越南人有正常的婚姻 | 
| [34:47] | She’s with me. | 她和我在一起 | 
| [34:49] | Here she is. | 她来了 | 
| [34:52] | Hello, Phuong. | 你好,凤 | 
| [34:54] | My sister is out. | 我姐出去了 | 
| [34:58] | – Hello. – Hello. It’s nice to see you. | – 你好 – 你好,很高兴见到你 | 
| [35:00] | It’s you that Mr Pyle has come to visit, Phuong. | 派尔先生是特地来看你的,凤 | 
| [35:05] | So why don’t we all sit down? | 为什么我们不坐下呢? | 
| [35:07] | Unless, of course, you want me to leave. | 除非你想我离开 | 
| [35:09] | No. That wouldn’t be right. | 不,那不妥 | 
| [35:12] | We should sit down, then. | 那我们坐下吧 | 
| [35:25] | Fire away. | 说吧 | 
| [35:35] | Ever since I met you and danced with you and talked with you, | 自从我见到你,同你跳舞,和你聊天 | 
| [35:42] | I haven’t been able to get you out of my thoughts for more than a moment. | 我无时无刻不想着你 | 
| [35:53] | I’ve fallen in love with you. | 我已经爱上你了 | 
| [36:01] | You fall in love with me? | 你爱上我? | 
| [36:03] | Please believe me. I’ve never behaved like this before. | 请相信我 我以前从没这样过 | 
| [36:07] | I apologise. It is abrupt and it is ill-mannered, but… | 我很抱歉,这很唐突,不太礼貌,但… | 
| [36:14] | I’m in love with you. | 我爱你 | 
| [36:19] | Shouldn’t you be on one knee? | 你不该是单膝下跪的吗? | 
| [36:26] | Look… Phuong, I’m not a rich man | 凤,我不是个富有的人 | 
| [36:28] | but I do have assets. | 但我有我的资产 | 
| [36:30] | – Let’s toss for her. – What can you offer her? | -我们来丢硬币决定吧 – 你能给她什么? | 
| [36:32] | – Oh, Christ. – I don’t expect you to love me right away. | – 噢,主啊 – 我不奢望你立刻爱上我 | 
| [36:36] | You could always make love to the chauffeur. | 你总是和司机上床 | 
| [36:39] | You have no right to insult her! | 你没有权利侮辱她! | 
| [36:42] | – Shut your bloody dog up. – Come away with me. | – 让你那该死的狗闭上嘴 – 跟我走吧 | 
| [36:44] | Tell him to bugger off and take his dog with him. | 叫他走,带上他的狗 | 
| [36:51] | No. | 不 | 
| [36:56] | Did you say no? | 你说不? | 
| [36:59] | Yes. Sit down and have a scotch. | 坐下喝几杯吧 | 
| [37:02] | No. I should go. I’m so sorry. | 不,我该走了,我很抱歉 | 
| [37:05] | – Do you want to smoke a pipe? – A pipe? | – 你想抽烟斗吗? – 烟斗? | 
| [37:07] | Opium. | 鸦片 | 
| [37:10] | No. Why would I do that? | 不,我干嘛要抽那个? | 
| [37:31] | I know before we married you warned me | 我知道我们结婚前你就警告过我 | 
| [37:34] | beliefs meant that there could never be a divorce. | 你的信仰决定了你不可能和我离婚 | 
| [37:38] | All the same, that’s what I’m asking for now. | 但我还是想请求你 | 
| [37:42] | The fact is, I love someone very much. | 事实上,我深深地爱着另一个人 | 
| [37:46] | I want you to feel affection and act before you have time to think. | 我期望你好好想想再答复我 | 
| [37:50] | Just cable and tell me you agree. | 发电报告诉我你同意吧 | 
| [38:01] | I’ve just asked my wife for a divorce. | 我刚写信请求我妻子和我离婚 | 
| [38:10] | Your sister… | 你姐姐… | 
| [38:15] | Was she really out? | 她真的不在? | 
| [38:18] | I told you. | 我说了她不在 | 
| [38:23] | I thought perhaps she sent you back | 我以为也许她叫你回来 | 
| [38:27] | so that you could meet Pyle. | 这样你就可以遇见派尔 | 
| [38:30] | He’s very young. | 他是那么年青 | 
| [38:34] | That’s not so important. | 那并不重要 | 
| [38:48] | Good news. They printed your story. | 好消息.他们登了你的报道 | 
| [38:52] | I got a cable from Stemins. This got me a month’s reprieve. | 我收到史达明的电报 他们让我再留一个月 | 
| [38:58] | Page ten. “French Break Communist Siege.” | 第十页 ”法军突破共军包围.” | 
| [39:03] | They didn’t use much, did they? | 他们没全用我的报道,不是吗? | 
| [39:07] | Nothing here about the villagers that were killed. | 根本没提到村民被杀 | 
| [39:10] | What did the French papers say? | 法国报纸怎么说? | 
| [39:12] | Headlines blame it on the communists, of course. | 头条当然是谴责共军 | 
| [39:15] | Well, a month is a month. | 好吧,一个月就一个月 | 
| [39:18] | What else can you tell me about this General The? | 你还能告诉我什么有关这个泰将军的? | 
| [39:25] | He’s set himself up against both the French and the communists. | 他既反对法军,也反对共军 | 
| [39:31] | Do you think he’d give me an interview if I went up there? | 你认为他会接受我的采访吗? | 
| [39:34] | Difficult to say. | 很难说 | 
| [39:36] | Perhaps if he thought he could get his message across. | 也许他认为他能有机会散布他的主张 | 
| [39:40] | The problem would be getting it past the censor. | 问题是怎么通过关卡 | 
| [39:43] | No, the real problem would be to get close to the Cambodian border | 不,真正的问题是怎样在天黑前… | 
| [39:46] | and back before dark. | 通过柬埔寨边境 | 
| [39:48] | The communists control that road at night. | 共军晚上控制了公路 | 
| [39:50] | So many Europeans have been killed out there. | 很多欧洲人在那儿被杀 | 
| [40:04] | I am Thomas Fowler of the London Times | 我是伦敦时报的托马斯.福勒 | 
| [40:09] | and I’m here to interview General The. | 我来这采访泰将军 | 
| [40:15] | I’m Thomas Fowler of the London Times. | 我是伦敦时报的托马斯.福勒 | 
| [40:18] | I’m here to see General The. | 我来这采访泰将军 | 
| [40:31] | September, October, November… | 九月,十月,十一月… | 
| [40:35] | I’d seen Pyle only once since he’d asked Phuong to marry him, | 派尔向凤未婚后我只见过他一次 | 
| [40:38] | at the Continental. | 在欧洲旅馆 | 
| [40:41] | He’d been polite, of course – | 当然,他很客气 – | 
| [40:43] | how was I, how was Phuong? | 问我怎样,凤怎样? | 
| [40:46] | He’d been busy, he said, out of the city, | 他说他很忙,不在城里 | 
| [40:49] | working on his medical programme. | 在忙他的医疗计划 | 
| [40:52] | Though somehow, I wasn’t surprised to see him. | 不过不知何故,我并不讶异见到他 | 
| [40:55] | I was surprised to be pleased to see him. | 我讶异的是我很高兴见到他 | 
| [40:59] | – What brings you out to these parts? – I was hoping to interview the General. | – 什么风把你吹到这儿来了? – 我想采访泰将军 | 
| [41:03] | But they’ve thrown me out of the place. | 但他们不让我进去 | 
| [41:06] | – What’s your excuse this time? – This is like a test run for us. | – 你这次又有什么借口? – 这就像是对我们的测试 | 
| [41:10] | The French, in their typically French way, have been very uncooperative | 法国人,以他们典型的法国伤风 非常不合作 | 
| [41:14] | but General The has been good enough to let us set up camp here. | 但泰将军却不错 让我们在这儿扎营 | 
| [41:19] | I’ll get them to let you in. | 我让他们放你进去 | 
| [41:22] | Joe Tunney’s running aid programmes with business people close to The. | 乔.滕尼同与泰亲近的商人进行援助计划 | 
| [41:26] | – Mr Muoi. – Mr Pyle. | – 莫依先生 – 派乐先生 | 
| [41:29] | – Hello. How are you? – Good. | – 你好,你怎样? – 很好 | 
| [41:51] | My name is Mr Muoi. The General only has a few moments. | 我姓莫依 泰将军只有几分钟时间 | 
| [41:55] | May I first ask you a question? | 我能先问你一个问题吗? | 
| [41:58] | – Please. – What is your relationship to the General? | -请 – 你和泰将军是什么关系? | 
| [42:02] | I’m a businessman and a patriot. | 我是生意人,也是爱国者 | 
| [42:06] | Many of the supplies and aid you see are the result of my efforts. | 你看到的这些供给和援助 很多都是我努力的结果 | 
| [42:11] | Shall we begin? | 可以开始了吗? | 
| [42:13] | You say you’ve broken away from | 你说你已脱离了 | 
| [42:15] | the French and Vietnamese forces with which you serve. | 你所服役的法军和越军 | 
| [42:19] | Do any ties remain? | 你们之间还有关系吗? | 
| [42:26] | The French are colonialists. | 法国人是殖民主义者 | 
| [42:30] | Not to be trusted. | 不值得信任 | 
| [42:37] | It will take an independent Vietnamese leader to rule our country. | 应该由独立的越南人来管理这国家 | 
| [42:41] | How does the General expect to launch a successful campaign | 只有这么少的供给和士兵 | 
| [42:44] | against the larger forces of the communists and the French | 将军你凭什么… | 
| [42:47] | with so few men and supplies? | 打赢法军和共军大部队? | 
| [42:51] | And who is providing the means for the General to achieve this? | 谁为将军提供致胜手段? | 
| [43:05] | Has he been fighting his war in the north? | 他是否在北部作战? | 
| [43:24] | There was a massacre at Phat Diem. | 在Phat Diem有场大屠杀 | 
| [43:28] | Were your forces present? | 你的军队是不是在那儿? | 
| [43:43] | Regrettably the General has just recalled that he has an urgent appointment. | 很遗憾,将军突然想起有个紧急约见 | 
| [43:48] | – So, please. – Thank you. | – 所以,请了 – 谢谢 | 
| [44:03] | That was quick. | 这么快 | 
| [44:05] | Things didn’t go entirely according to plan. | 事情不像我计划的那样 | 
| [44:08] | Watch yourself with Joe. | 小心乔 | 
| [44:11] | I think he’s up to something with General The. | 我觉得他和泰将军在搞鬼 | 
| [44:16] | Can I get a ride to Saigon with you? Something’s wrong with my car. | 我能坐你的车回西贡吗? 我的车有点问题 | 
| [44:20] | Yes, of course you can. | 可以,当然可以 | 
| [44:22] | Hello. Some kind soul has had mine cleaned. | 看,有好心人帮我擦车 | 
| [44:36] | I heard a rumour that you’d been recalled to London. | 我听说你将被召会伦敦 | 
| [44:40] | Really? Who told you that? | 真的?谁告诉你的? | 
| [44:44] | Phuong’s sister. | 凤的姐姐 | 
| [44:51] | – Shit. – What is it? | – 妈的 – 怎么了? | 
| [44:54] | We’re out of petrol. | 没油了 | 
| [44:57] | Some bugger up in the mountains must have siphoned it off. | 刚才肯定有谁把油吸走了 | 
| [45:13] | They might have some spare petrol in that watchtower. | 也许他们在了望塔有备用油 | 
| [45:34] | It looks like it’s deserted. | 看上去是废弃的塔 | 
| [45:36] | I’ll go in and have a look. | 我进去看看 | 
| [45:48] | Hello? | 有人吗? | 
| [46:17] | – Is everything OK? – Come up. | – 没事吧? – 上来 | 
| [46:22] | 我和我朋友不得不在这呆到早上了 | |
| [46:31] | 这是不允许的 | |
| [46:34] | 是我朋友 | |
| [46:58] | 没事的,请放下枪 | |
| [47:01] | 请放下枪,他是我朋友 | |
| [47:30] | What are you thinking? | 在想什么? | 
| [47:35] | I was wondering what she was doing right now. | 在想凤现在在做什么 | 
| [47:48] | This morning she met her friends for elevenses | 今天早上她和朋友一起早茶 | 
| [47:51] | at La Fontaine. | 在 La Fontaine. | 
| [47:54] | Ice cream and the latest gossip. | 吃冰淇淋,聊近来的闲话 | 
| [47:59] | On her way home she stopped at the market | 回家路上,她去了市集 | 
| [48:02] | for fresh fish for dinner. | 买鱼做午餐 | 
| [48:06] | And now she’s flipping through the pages of magazines | 现在她在翻杂志 | 
| [48:13] | Iooking at photographs of the royal family and film stars, | 看皇室成员和电影明星的照片 | 
| [48:19] | Iistening to Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier. | 听巴赫的曲子 | 
| [48:24] | I just got her started on Bach. | 我和她就是从巴赫开始的 | 
| [48:34] | Have you had a lot of women, Thomas? | 你有过很多女人吗,托马斯? | 
| [48:39] | You start out by being promiscuous, | 开始时很滥交 | 
| [48:43] | and end up like your grandfather – | 但最后你会很专一 – | 
| [48:46] | faithful to one woman. | 对一个女人忠诚不二 | 
| [48:50] | I know I’m not essential to Phuong. | 我知道凤不是没我就不行 | 
| [48:55] | But believe me when I tell you that | 但你相信我 | 
| [48:59] | if I were to lose her, | 如果我失去她 | 
| [49:03] | for me… | 对我而言… | 
| [49:07] | it would be the beginning of death. | 就是死亡的开始 | 
| [49:19] | Somebody’s had it. | 有人来了 | 
| [49:22] | There are 30 or 40 of these towers between here and Saigon. | 从这到西贡有30或40个了望塔 | 
| [49:26] | They only hit one or two a night so our odds aren’t too bad. | 他们一晚只袭击一到两个 所以我们的机率不是很大 | 
| [49:33] | So what do you think they’d do if the communists attacked? | 那你觉得共军来袭时他们会怎样? | 
| [49:37] | These two? They’d fire a shot and run. | 这两个人? 他们会开火然后逃跑 | 
| [49:40] | Why should they die for us? Or the French. | 他们为什么要为我们而死? 或为法国人 | 
| [49:45] | What’s that? I thought I saw something move. | 那是什么? 我看见有东西在动 | 
| [49:55] | Christ, they’re here! | 天啊,他们在这儿! | 
| [50:02] | As far as I can make out, he told them to give us up or else. | 就我所听懂的 他们叫我们投降 | 
| [50:12] | Stop! Give me that! | 别动! 给我枪! | 
| [50:15] | Come on, Thomas. | 快来,托马斯 | 
| [50:26] | – What is it? – I think I’ve twisted my ankle. | – 怎么了? – 我想我扭到脚了 | 
| [51:11] | I’m gonna head up the road to the next watchtower. | 我沿路去下一个塔 | 
| [51:15] | See if I can find a French patrol. | 看看能不能找到点汽油 | 
| [51:19] | Sit tight, OK? I’ll be back. | 坐好,我会回来的 | 
| [52:03] | May I introduce myself? Thomas Fowler. | 能自我介绍吗?我叫托马斯. 福勒 | 
| [52:26] | I found a patrol. | 我找到汽油了 | 
| [52:28] | If I had died… | 如果我死了… | 
| [52:32] | you could have had her. | 你就能和她一起了 | 
| [52:44] | And I think you should inform your sources | 我想你得通知你的情报员 | 
| [52:47] | that General The has a lot more men than the hundred of their count. | 泰将军手下可不止他们所说的几百个人 | 
| [52:51] | He’s a story we should take seriously. | 我们得认真考虑他的报道 | 
| [52:54] | Never underestimate a patriot, sir. | 别低估了爱国者,先生 | 
| [52:57] | What do you know about Muoi? Could he finance The’s army? | 你了解莫依吗? 他怎么能资助军队? | 
| [53:01] | He owns a bicycle factory! | 他有家自行车厂! | 
| [53:04] | Well, I think Joe Tunney is plotting with he and The. | 我想乔.滕尼和泰有阴谋 | 
| [53:09] | And it’s more than just foreign aid programmes. | 他不止在搞外国援助这么简单 | 
| [53:12] | I’ll see what I can find out, sir. | 我看看我能有什么消息,先生 | 
| [53:20] | Things are under control at the office. | 办公室一切都井井有条 | 
| [53:22] | – Try to get some rest. – Thank you, Hinh. | – 多休息休息吧 – 谢谢,辛 | 
| [53:58] | I missed you. | 我好想你 | 
| [54:01] | – Are you all right? – I’m all in one piece. | – 你还好吧? – 骨头还没散 | 
| [54:04] | – You got a letter from London. – Yes? | – 有封伦敦来的信 – 是吗? | 
| [54:08] | – I fetch it for you? – No. Give me a kiss. | – 我帮你拿? – 不,亲亲我 | 
| [54:12] | Big one. | 再亲 | 
| [54:18] | I will get it. | 我来拿 | 
| [54:30] | You look afraid. | 你看起来很害怕 | 
| [54:32] | I think I’d better have a brandy and soda. | 我想我最好还是喝点白兰地 | 
| [54:57] | Pyle. Come in, come in. | 派尔,进来,进来 | 
| [55:03] | Thought I’d drop by and see how you were doing. | 我想顺便过来看看你怎样 | 
| [55:06] | – Very well, thanks. – How’s the leg? | – 我很好,谢谢 – 腿怎样? | 
| [55:09] | My tennis game will suffer, but it wasn’t much to begin with. | 不能打网球了 不过我本来就不会打 | 
| [55:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [55:18] | I’m glad you dropped by. | 我很高兴你能来 | 
| [55:20] | We have to thank Mr Pyle, Phuong, for saving my life. | 我们得谢谢派尔先生 他救了我的命 | 
| [55:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [55:30] | How’s your sister doing? | 你姐姐怎样? | 
| [55:32] | – Sister? – Yes. | – 姐姐? – 是的 | 
| [55:34] | Alden got her a job with Americans. | 艾登为她找了份工作,为美国人做事 | 
| [55:38] | Oh, yes? | 噢,是吗? | 
| [55:39] | She likes it very much. Thank you. | 她很喜欢那工作,谢谢 | 
| [55:42] | Good. I’m very glad. | 好的,我很高兴 | 
| [55:45] | Since you’re both here, now is as good a time as any | 既然你们俩都在这儿 | 
| [55:48] | to tell you that I have received a letter from my wife | 我收到我妻子的信 | 
| [55:53] | and she has more or less agreed to give me a divorce. | 她同意和我离婚了 | 
| [56:02] | That’s wonderful. | 那太好了 | 
| [56:09] | – Come sit. – Thank you. I’ve got plans. | – 过来坐 – 谢谢,我还有事儿 | 
| [56:14] | Thank you for dropping by. | 感谢到访 | 
| [56:18] | Bye. | 再见 | 
| [56:39] | Sir, l… | 先生,我… | 
| [56:44] | I trusted you, Thomas. | 我信任你,托马斯 | 
| [56:47] | Always a mistake when there’s a woman involved. | 有女人在就有麻烦 | 
| [56:51] | Couldn’t you have won without lying? | 你不用谎言就不可能赢我? | 
| [56:54] | What is it, anyway? | 怎么了,到底? | 
| [56:56] | My sister read the letter from your wife. | 我姐姐看了你妻子的信 | 
| [56:58] | I show it to her | 我给她看的 | 
| [57:01] | because… I was so proud. | 因为…我太自豪了 | 
| [57:05] | – So happy. – How could you treat her like this? | – 太高兴了 – 你怎么能这样欺骗她? | 
| [57:13] | “Dear Thomas – you always picked up women | ”亲爱的托马斯- 你身边总是有女人 | 
| [57:16] | Iike you picked up mud on your shoes.” | 就像你的鞋总粘到泥一样” | 
| [57:18] | I’m sorry, Phuong. | 我很抱歉,凤 | 
| [57:21] | – So then why’d you lie to her? – Because I wanted to keep her. | – 那你为什么要骗她? – 很明显因为我想留住她 | 
| [57:24] | That’s not love. | 那不是爱 | 
| [57:27] | 看到吧,他甚至都不否认自己是个骗子 | |
| [57:31] | “Have you ever stopped to think how lonely she’ll be in England when you leave her?” | ”你难道没想过当你离开她回英国她会有多寂寞吗?” | 
| [57:36] | Shut up, for Christ’s sake. | 闭嘴,看在老天的份上 | 
| [57:40] | “l don’t believe in divorce.” | ”我不主张离婚” | 
| [57:43] | “My religion forbids it. And so the answer is | ”我的信仰也不允许 因此答案还是 | 
| [57:48] | no.” | 不.” | 
| [57:52] | I was taught never to read other people’s letters. | 我被教育别看人家的信 | 
| [57:55] | – I was taught not to tell lies. – Come on, Phuong. | – 我被教育别说谎 – 走吧,凤 | 
| [58:01] | I don’t speak Vietnamese. | 我不说越南话 | 
| [58:05] | Get lost. | 滚吧 | 
| [58:14] | You were right about Muoi. He does have connections. | 你是对的,莫依的确有关系网 | 
| [58:17] | Can we discuss this some other time? | 呆会再谈这个好吗? | 
| [58:19] | Crates from overseas have been moving through his factory, | 外国板条箱通过他的厂进来 | 
| [58:22] | bypassing French customs. | 绕过法国海关 | 
| [58:25] | My sources have been unable to determine what they contain. | 我的情报员不知道箱里装的是什么 | 
| [58:30] | He’s probably got someone on the take. | 他很可能贿赂了什么人 | 
| [58:33] | He’s an exporter, not an importer. | 他是出口商,不是进口商 | 
| [58:35] | Yes, well, we’ll do that tomorrow, OK? | 好的,我们明天再查好吗? | 
| [58:38] | No. A shipment just came in this afternoon. | 不,今天下午就要出货了 | 
| [58:41] | It could be gone by the morning. | 明早就运走了 | 
| [1:00:11] | – What is this Diolacton? – We must leave immediately. | – Diolacton是什么? – 我们得马上走 | 
| [1:00:15] | 这英国人疯了,他喝太多了 | |
| [1:00:17] | 回家去吧,回家 | |
| [1:00:18] | 他什么也不是 | |
| [1:00:21] | – What are you doing? – Trying to save your life. Go! | – 你在干什么? – 在救你的命,快走! | 
| [1:01:07] | Good morning. | 早上好 | 
| [1:01:08] | – Can I help you? – You’ve done quite enough already. | – 我能为你做什么? -你已经做了够多了 | 
| [1:01:12] | – Where’s Pyle? – He’s not in the office this morning. | – 派尔在哪? – 他今天上午不在这 | 
| [1:01:17] | – He does a lot of work at home. – I know what he does at home. | – 他很多事在家做 – 我知道他在家做什么 | 
| [1:01:20] | – What do you mean? – Ask her. She’s fixed him up with my girl. | – 你什么意思? – 问她,她把我的女人和他配了队 | 
| [1:01:24] | – We can’t have scenes in the office. – I know I am behaving badly. | – 你不能在办公室生事 – 我知道这样很粗鲁 | 
| [1:01:27] | But I have every intention of behaving badly. | 但我有充分理由粗鲁 | 
| [1:01:29] | This is exactly the kind of situation where one should behave badly. | 谁在这种情况下都会发火 | 
| [1:01:34] | – Could we please lower our voices? – Why don’t you bugger off? | – 你能声音小一点吗? – 你干嘛不滚开? | 
| [1:01:37] | Thomas, there is a lady here. | 托马斯,这儿有女士 | 
| [1:01:39] | This lady and I know each other quite well. | 我和这个女士很熟 | 
| [1:01:41] | She tried to get a rake-off from me, but now she’s getting one from Pyle. | 她本来想从我身上捞油水 现在她从派尔那捞 | 
| [1:01:44] | – We have a lot of work to do. – If Pyle phones, tell him I called. | – 我们有很多事要做 – 如果派尔打电话来,跟他说我来过 | 
| [1:01:48] | It would be polite to return the visit. | 他应该回访 | 
| [1:01:55] | How did he get in here? | 他怎么进来的? | 
| [1:02:35] | This is Boston? | 这是波士顿吗? | 
| [1:02:37] | No, that’s Niagara Falls. So is that. | 不,这是尼加拉瀑布.这也是 | 
| [1:02:42] | This is Boston. That’s Faneuil Hall. | 这是波士顿,那是法纳尔大厅 | 
| [1:02:48] | I can’t wait to take you to my country. | 我等不及想带你回祖国 | 
| [1:03:01] | My friend from school. | 我学校里的朋友 | 
| [1:03:05] | She go to airport with her boyfriend. | 她和男友去机场 | 
| [1:03:10] | He said he’d take her to France. | 他说要带她去法国 | 
| [1:03:19] | But in the airport, | 但在机场 | 
| [1:03:21] | he disappear, leave her there. | 他不见了,留她一人在那儿 | 
| [1:03:26] | So many girls with French boyfriend, | 很多交了法国男友的女孩 | 
| [1:03:31] | no one to marry them. | 没一个嫁过去 | 
| [1:03:36] | Well, that’ll never happen to you. | 我不会那样对你 | 
| [1:03:52] | I promise. | 我保证 | 
| [1:04:06] | – Hi. – Have a nice Christmas? | – 嗨 – 圣诞节过得好吗? | 
| [1:04:09] | One long party. | 有派队 | 
| [1:04:12] | Did Phuong forget something? | 凤忘了什么吗? | 
| [1:04:14] | Heard you came by the legation. | 听说你来过公使馆 | 
| [1:04:17] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [1:04:19] | – Who’s this? – Bodyguard. We all have them now. | – 那是谁? – 保镖.我们现在都有保镖 | 
| [1:04:22] | Are you married yet? | 结婚了吗? | 
| [1:04:24] | No, I figured I’d wait until we got home and do it properly. | 没,我想等我们有了房子才合适 | 
| [1:04:27] | You don’t mind living here improperly? | 你不介意”不合适地”住在这儿? | 
| [1:04:30] | It’s hard to talk if you’re going to be so cynical. | 如果你总这么讽刺 那很难和你谈话 | 
| [1:04:33] | I meant it’d be good to do it with my parents there. | 我意思是最好我父母在场 | 
| [1:04:37] | I had a cable from head office. They want me back. | 总部给我发电报,要我回去 | 
| [1:04:42] | Oh, that’s… | 噢,那… | 
| [1:04:43] | So it’s good that Phuong went off with you. | 所以凤跟随你是件好事 | 
| [1:04:45] | She might have ended up as another piece of arse for someone like Granger. | 要不然她会变成格兰吉的下一个女人 | 
| [1:04:49] | At least I know you’ll treat her right. | 至少我知道你对她不错 | 
| [1:04:52] | So does this mean that we can still be friends? | 那我们是不是还是朋友? | 
| [1:04:57] | I don’t see why not. | 为什么不是 | 
| [1:05:07] | So what is Diolacton, anyway? | 什么是Diolacton? | 
| [1:05:12] | – You know about that? – Shouldn’t l? | – 你知道那个? – 我不该知道吗? | 
| [1:05:15] | Well… Diolacton is a milk-based plastic. | 呃… Diolacton 是一种塑胶 | 
| [1:05:18] | It’s used for the frames in the eyeglasses. | 用来做眼镜架 | 
| [1:05:21] | Are you still in touch with General The? | 你还和泰将军有联系吗? | 
| [1:05:25] | – We keep the channels open. – And Muoi? | – 我们一直敞开大门 – 那莫依呢? | 
| [1:05:27] | Mr Muoi’s helped get our supplies through customs. | 莫依先生帮助我们把供给送过海关 | 
| [1:05:30] | – The French have started to charge for… – You asked me for advice once. | – 法国人开始收费了… – 你曾向我要建议 | 
| [1:05:34] | Here it is. Leave the bloody third force to Joe, | 我的建议是,把那该死的第三方力量留给乔去办 | 
| [1:05:37] | forget York Harding, and go home with Phuong. | 忘了你的约克.哈丁 带凤回家去吧 | 
| [1:05:45] | And would you shut the door on the way out, please? | 请你关上门走吧,好吗? | 
| [1:06:05] | Morning, Larry. What is it today? | 拉里,早上好,今天干什么? | 
| [1:06:07] | You know, some cockamamie assignment. | 一些麻烦的任务 | 
| [1:06:14] | We should go. Joe Tunney said to be out of here by ten to eleven. | 我们得走了 乔.滕尼说得在11点10分到这儿 | 
| [1:06:19] | – What is it, anyway? – I’m not sure. | – 什么事,到底? – 我不清楚 | 
| [1:06:23] | – Is it a demonstration? – I don’t know. | – 是示威吗? – 不知道 | 
| [1:07:16] | My friend is in there. | 我朋友在这儿 | 
| [1:09:12] | Did you cut your hand, sir? | 你手破了吗,先生? | 
| [1:09:20] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [1:09:25] | – How is it down there? – 30 dead. | – 那儿情况怎样? – 死了30人 | 
| [1:09:29] | Probably 20 more by morning. | 也许到明早还要死20人 | 
| [1:09:34] | They’ve started arresting communist sympathisers. | 他们开始逮捕共产党拥护者 | 
| [1:09:38] | There was a woman. | 那儿有个女人 | 
| [1:09:41] | With a baby. | 抱着孩子 | 
| [1:09:48] | She covered it with her hat. | 她用帽子盖住孩子 | 
| [1:10:04] | This man… he died. | 一个男人…死了 | 
| [1:10:09] | Right in front of his family. | 死在家人面前 | 
| [1:10:23] | Pyle… | 派尔… | 
| [1:10:26] | Did you see him? | 你看见他了? | 
| [1:10:32] | He spoke Vietnamese. | 他会说越南话 | 
| [1:10:40] | Like… Iike it was his, you know, native language. | 说得像…母语那么好 | 
| [1:10:48] | Murray! Come over here! Get this. | 默里!过来!拍这个 | 
| [1:10:50] | Move it. Right here. On this side. | 快,这边 | 
| [1:11:16] | Understand? Go make yourself useful somewhere else. | 懂了吗? 到别的地方帮忙去 | 
| [1:11:19] | Diolacton is a milk-based plastic. We used it for the frames. | Diolacton 是一种塑胶 用来做眼镜架 | 
| [1:11:22] | – How many stories have we given them? – This year? | – 一共发了几篇稿? – 今年? | 
| [1:11:29] | “Casein plastics.” | ”酪蛋白塑胶” | 
| [1:11:32] | “Made from milk protein.” | ”从牛乳蛋白质中提取” | 
| [1:11:35] | York Harding: “Dangers to Democracy. ” He put forward the idea of a third force… | 约克.哈丁:”民主的威胁” 他提出由第三方…. | 
| [1:11:40] | “Used in the manufacture of imitation tortoiseshell and jade.” | ”用于制造工业龟甲和玉” | 
| [1:11:45] | “Trade name: Diolacton.” | ”商品名: Diolacton.” | 
| [1:11:48] | “Also used as a plasticiser | ”也用做爆炸物中的 | 
| [1:11:53] | in explosive compounds.” | 可塑剂” | 
| [1:11:55] | Joe Tunney’s running aid programmes with business people close to The. | 乔.滕尼在同泰亲近的商人做援助计划 | 
| [1:11:59] | Muoi. | 莫依 | 
| [1:12:02] | And The. | 和泰 | 
| [1:12:04] | It will take an independent Vietnamese leader to rule our country. | 应该由独立的越南人来统治越南 | 
| [1:12:08] | The Americans have been supplying them | 美国人在为他们提供 | 
| [1:12:11] | with materials to make bombs. | 做炸弹的材料 | 
| [1:12:16] | Fowler sees conspiracies everywhere. | 福勒到处都有同谋 | 
| [1:12:20] | I have some contacts who would like to speak to your friend. | 我有线人想和你的朋友谈谈 | 
| [1:12:25] | Joe T unney? | 乔.滕尼? | 
| [1:12:30] | Pyle? | 派尔? | 
| [1:12:32] | They feel he can give them important information about all this. | 他们认为他能提供有关这一切的重要情报 | 
| [1:12:37] | You’re saying Pyle is OSS? | 你是说派尔是美国战略情报局的? | 
| [1:12:41] | I believe the new name is the ClA. | 我想现在叫中情局 | 
| [1:12:49] | – Anyone could speak to him. – It’s not so easy. | – 每个人都能和他谈话 – 并不那么容易 | 
| [1:12:53] | He’s followed by protectors. | 他有保镖跟着 | 
| [1:12:56] | But if you asked to meet with him, man to man, | 但如果你要求和他单独见面 | 
| [1:13:01] | he would come along. | 他会一个人来的 | 
| [1:13:09] | These contacts. Are they communist? | 你的线人,是共产党人吗? | 
| [1:13:12] | Officially, no. Unofficially, yes. | 公开时,不是 私底下,是 | 
| [1:13:17] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [1:13:19] | Suppose you invite him to dinner at the Vieux Moulin, | 假设你请他去Vieux Moulin吃晚饭 | 
| [1:13:22] | say between 9.00 and 9.30. | 在9.00 到9.30之间 | 
| [1:13:25] | It’s quiet near there. My friends can speak to him undisturbed. | 在那附近,我朋友可以不受干扰的同他谈谈 | 
| [1:13:31] | Maybe he’s engaged. | 也许他没空 | 
| [1:13:34] | At 6.30, my contacts will have someone in the street outside your apartment. | 6.30我的联络人会派人到你公寓外的街口 | 
| [1:13:40] | All you have to do, if you decide to invite him to dinner… | 你只要决定请不请他吃晚饭… | 
| [1:13:45] | go to the window and open a book. | 如果请,就到窗口打开一本书 | 
| [1:13:53] | What will they do to him? | 他们会对他怎样? | 
| [1:13:55] | I promise you – my contacts will act as gently as the situation allows. | 我保证,我的联络人会视乎情况尽量和气 | 
| [1:14:05] | Sooner or later, Mr Fowler, | 福勒先生, | 
| [1:14:08] | one has to take sides | 你迟早要选择拥护某方 | 
| [1:14:10] | if one is to remain human. | 只要你还有人性 | 
| [1:14:34] | I need to speak to you about what happened this morning | 我想和你谈谈今早发生的事 | 
| [1:14:38] | in the Place Garnier. | 在Place Garnier. | 
| [1:15:06] | – Phuong. – A letter for you. | – 凤 – 你的信 | 
| [1:15:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [1:15:13] | Just give me a few minutes, all right? | 给我几分钟好吗? | 
| [1:16:01] | Come in. | 进来 | 
| [1:16:06] | I got your message. | 我收到你的条子 | 
| [1:16:08] | So I see. | 我知道 | 
| [1:16:16] | – I’d love a drink. – I’ve only got hard liquor. | – 我想喝一杯 – 我只有烈酒 | 
| [1:16:19] | You’re probably on duty. I’ve noticed you’re rarely off duty these days. | 也许你在当值 我注意到你最近很少休息 | 
| [1:16:25] | Whisky’d be fine. People change. | 威士忌酒.人总会改变 | 
| [1:16:27] | Or maybe they just never were what we thought they were. | 或者一个人并不是我们以为的那样 | 
| [1:16:33] | Who of us is, Thomas? Who of us is? | 你在说谁,托马斯?我还是你? | 
| [1:16:44] | You want to talk about General The? | 我猜你想谈泰将军? | 
| [1:16:46] | Yes. And Mr Muoi. | 是的,还有莫依先生 | 
| [1:16:50] | And Diolacton. | 还有Diolacton. | 
| [1:16:57] | – We met with The this afternoon. – He’s in Saigon? | – 我们今天下午见过面 – 他在西贡? | 
| [1:17:00] | Come to see how his explosives worked? | 他来看爆炸的情况? | 
| [1:17:02] | His original target was a military parade. | 他原本和目标是军事游行 | 
| [1:17:05] | We were pretty tough on him. | 我不该告诉你这个 我们对他很强硬 | 
| [1:17:08] | Did you tell him you wouldn’t support him? | 你告诉他你们不会支持他了? | 
| [1:17:10] | – We told him if he steps out of line again… – He tried to kill you on the road to Saigon. | – 我们告诉他如果他在行差踏错… – 他想杀了你,在你去西贡的路上 | 
| [1:17:14] | No. He tried to kill you. | 不,他想杀的是你 | 
| [1:17:19] | You knew? | 你早知道? | 
| [1:17:22] | I suspected that he might try something. Or one of his officers. | 我怀疑他或他的手下要搞什么动作 | 
| [1:17:25] | So I tagged along just in case. | 所以我跟踪他们以防万一 | 
| [1:17:27] | You’re a fool if you think you can control General The. | 如果你以为你能控制泰将军 那你真是傻瓜一个 | 
| [1:17:30] | In a war, you use the tools you’ve got. | 在战争中,你得利用你能利用的工具 | 
| [1:17:33] | Right now, he’s the best we have. | 目前来讲,他是我们能利用的最好工具 | 
| [1:17:35] | And in the meantime, even more people must die. | 就算与此同时会有更多人得死去 | 
| [1:17:38] | Last year the US government gave $21 0 million | 去年美国向印度支那的法军 | 
| [1:17:41] | in military assistance to the French in lndochina. | 提供了2亿1千万军事援助 | 
| [1:17:44] | If we are going to stop communism and underwrite a third way, | 如果我们要遏制共产主义 支持第三方 | 
| [1:17:49] | we need to give the people a leader who they admire. | 我们必需得找个人民崇拜的领袖 | 
| [1:17:52] | Tomorrow when Congress reads the sees the photographs | 明早国会听到报告,看过共产党暴行的照片 | 
| [1:17:55] | of the communist atrocities, they are going to give us that support. | 他们会支持我们的计划的 | 
| [1:17:59] | The French won’t stop the communists. | 法国人不会遏制共产主义 | 
| [1:18:01] | They haven’t got the brains and they haven’t got the guts. | 他们没大脑,不懂得内情 | 
| [1:18:07] | How did I fit into all this? | 我与这事有什么关系? | 
| [1:18:11] | Am I part of your cover? | 我是你身份掩饰的一部分? | 
| [1:18:14] | Or a source of information? | 还是情报来源? | 
| [1:18:18] | Or did you have your eye on Phuong all the time? | 还是你一直都盯上凤? | 
| [1:18:22] | You and Phuong? I never planned for any of that to happen. Believe me. | 你和凤? 我从未预谋过什么 相信我 | 
| [1:18:26] | It would have been easier if I’d never met either one of you. | 如果我没遇到你或她,事情会更好办些 | 
| [1:18:30] | – But you did. And you lied to us. – What do you want me to tell you? | – 但你遇到了,所以你向我们说谎 – 你想我跟你说什么? | 
| [1:18:35] | That I took no action? That I have no opinion? | 说我没参与行动? 没参与计划? | 
| [1:18:42] | Tell me that you don’t mean any of this. | 告诉我你不是故意让这些发生 | 
| [1:18:45] | Tell me that you were only obeying orders. | 告诉我你只是听从命令 | 
| [1:18:48] | Or tell me that after what you saw in the square, those children, | 或告诉我在你看到广场爆炸中的… | 
| [1:18:52] | who did nothing and hurt no one, | 无辜的,对人没有任何威胁的孩子后 | 
| [1:18:54] | tell me that you were so confused and horrified | 对于这个行动的残暴和荒唐 | 
| [1:18:56] | at how brutal and insane these actions are. | 你是那么的困惑,惊恐 | 
| [1:19:00] | Tell me how your love for Phuong has caused you to have some doubts. | 告诉我你对凤的爱使你对这一切产生疑问 | 
| [1:19:04] | But it’s because of Phuong that I am even more determined. | 但正因为凤,我更加坚定 | 
| [1:19:08] | Let’s just look at Phuong. There’s beauty. There’s daughter of a professor. | 就说凤吧 她是美人,是教授的女儿 | 
| [1:19:13] | Taxi dancer. Mistress of an older European man. | 是舞女,是欧洲老男人的情妇 | 
| [1:19:16] | That pretty well describes the whole country. | 那些都充分反映这整个国家 | 
| [1:19:19] | Look, Thomas, we are here to save Vietnam from all of that. | 听着,托马斯,我们到这就是要把越南 从那一切中解脱出来 | 
| [1:19:23] | What happened in the square makes me sick. | 广场上发生的事令我觉得不舒服 | 
| [1:19:25] | But in the long run, I’m going to save lives. | 但长远来看,我在拯救生命 | 
| [1:19:31] | It’s you, isn’t it? | 那人是你,是不是? | 
| [1:19:34] | Joe Tunney, the staff at the legation, | 乔.滕尼,公使馆的人 | 
| [1:19:37] | Mr Muoi, General The. | 莫依,泰将军 | 
| [1:19:41] | They all take their fucking orders from you, Pyle. | 他们都他妈的听人的命令,派尔 | 
| [1:19:45] | York Harding prattles on about a third force in that book you carry around. | 约克.哈丁在你随身带的那书里胡说八道 什么第三方力量 | 
| [1:19:51] | You’ve actually gone out and made one. | 而你却真得策划了一个 | 
| [1:19:54] | I don’t think you see the big picture, Thomas. | 我不认为你领会到了全局观念,托马斯 | 
| [1:19:58] | No, I do not see the big picture. | 不,我领会到了 | 
| [1:20:12] | Do you know this poem? | 你知道这首诗吗? | 
| [1:20:14] | “l walk down the street and I don’t give a damn | ”我走在街上,什么也不在乎 | 
| [1:20:18] | The people, they stare and they ask who I am | 人们看着我,问我我是谁 | 
| [1:20:21] | And if by chance I should run over a cad | 如果不巧我撞到个无赖 | 
| [1:20:25] | I can pay for the damage, if ever so bad.” | 我会赔偿,如果情况不是太坏” | 
| [1:20:31] | We can disagree and remain friends, can’t we, Thomas? | 就算有分歧我们也还是朋友,是吗,托马斯? | 
| [1:20:40] | Yes. | 当然 | 
| [1:20:43] | Look, I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 | 
| [1:20:44] | Let’s have dinner and put all this mess behind us. | 我们去吃饭吧 这些事都丢一边吧 | 
| [1:20:50] | – 9.00, Vieux Moulin. OK? – That sounds great. | – 9.00, 在Vieux Moulin见,好吗? – 听上去不错 | 
| [1:20:54] | I miss our conversations. | 我很期待我们的谈话 | 
| [1:20:56] | Vieux Moulin it is. | 是Vieux Moulin | 
| [1:20:59] | All right, then. I’ll tell Phuong she can have dinner with her sister. | 好吧,那我叫凤和她姐姐吃饭 | 
| [1:21:04] | I’ll get her to meet me here afterwards. | 我叫她吃完饭来见我 | 
| [1:21:12] | Look, if you can’t make it, come straight here. | 如果你不认识,直接来这儿 | 
| [1:21:17] | – I’ll wait for you. – All right. | – 我会等你的 – 好的 | 
| [1:21:19] | I’ll see you soon, Thomas. | 一会见,托马斯 | 
| [1:23:08] | Walk. | 走 | 
| [1:23:20] | I need to talk to somebody who speaks English. | 我得跟会说英语的人聊聊 | 
| [1:23:24] | You see, it’s my son’s birthday tonight. | 你知道吗,今晚是我儿子的生日 | 
| [1:23:35] | We need to ask you some questions. | 我们要问你几个问题 | 
| [1:23:38] | I’m from the American legation. I just try and help people see. | 我是美国公使馆的 我只是帮人治眼睛的 | 
| [1:23:46] | The thing is, l… | 但问题是… | 
| [1:23:48] | I got a cable from my wife. | 我收到妻子的电报 | 
| [1:23:55] | My boy has polio. They don’t know if he’s going to make it. | 我儿子得了小儿麻痹 他们不知道他挺不挺得过去 | 
| [1:24:03] | I don’t care if he’s crippled. | 我不介意他残废 | 
| [1:24:05] | I just don’t want him to die. | 只要他别死 | 
| [1:24:50] | I’m sorry. I’ve just got to get some air. | 我很抱歉,我得去透透气 | 
| [1:25:39] | At least 2,000 people were killed and scores of others injured. | 至少2000人死亡,还有更多受伤 | 
| [1:25:44] | In the wake of last week’s bomb blast in Saigon, | 上星期在西贡的爆炸事件中 | 
| [1:25:46] | French officials report… | 法国官方报道… | 
| [1:25:57] | I’m sorry to bother you, but… | 很抱歉打扰你,但… | 
| [1:25:59] | would you mind to come downstairs with me? | 你介意和我一起下楼吗? | 
| [1:26:02] | – What do you want? – I have something to show you. | – 你想怎样? – 我要给你看点东西 | 
| [1:26:08] | It seems Monsieur Pyle came to see you the night he died. | 似乎派尔先生死那晚来见过你 | 
| [1:26:13] | – So what, Vigot? – You said he did not. | – 那又怎样? – 你说他没来过 | 
| [1:26:19] | By the way, we found Pyle’s dog. | 还有,我们找到派尔的狗 | 
| [1:26:23] | They cut its throat. | 他们割段了他的喉咙 | 
| [1:26:28] | You see here? | 你看到吗? | 
| [1:26:31] | Pyle’s dog had cement between its toes. | 派尔的狗脚趾间有水泥 | 
| [1:26:34] | This was poured on the afternoon of his murder. | 这的水泥是他被杀那天下午浇得 | 
| [1:26:38] | So what does that prove? | 那能说明什么? | 
| [1:26:42] | And the patron of the Vieux Moulin told me | 还有Vieux Moulin 饭店的老板告诉我 | 
| [1:26:45] | that night you asked for a table for one. | 那晚你只要了一个位子 | 
| [1:26:50] | Not two. | 而不是两个 | 
| [1:26:53] | I have nothing more to add to my original statement. | 我对于我最初的口供没任何可再说的 | 
| [1:27:00] | Nothing? | 没有? | 
| [1:27:07] | You know I didn’t kill him, Vigot. | 你知道不是我杀他的 | 
| [1:27:14] | There’s a war on. | 现在是战争年代 | 
| [1:27:17] | People are dying every day. | 每天都有人死 | 
| [1:28:40] | Ask another girl. | 找别的女孩 | 
| [1:28:44] | I don’t want another girl. | 我不想找别的女孩 | 
| [1:29:17] | Will you come back now, Phuong? | 你能回到我身边吗,凤? | 
| [1:29:21] | – Will you come back to me? – To London? | – 你能回到我身边吗? – 回伦敦? | 
| [1:29:24] | No. Not to London. | 不,不回伦敦 | 
| [1:29:29] | Then I don’t come back. | 那我不会回来的 | 
| [1:29:32] | Please. I… | 拜托,我… | 
| [1:29:36] | I can’t take you to London. | 我不能带你去伦敦 | 
| [1:29:38] | Because I’m not going. | 因为我不去那儿 | 
| [1:29:43] | I’m not leaving you. | 我不会离开你 | 
| [1:29:52] | Never. | 永远不 | 
| [1:29:56] | Will you come back to me? | 你能回来我身边吗? | 
| [1:30:33] | – Will you take down my hair? – Yes. | – 能帮我拆头发吗? – 好的 | 
| [1:30:56] | Do you miss him? | 你想他吗? | 
| [1:31:05] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [1:31:08] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 | 
| [1:31:13] | Why are you sorry? | 为什么抱歉? | 
| [1:31:16] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [1:31:19] | I just feel that… | 我只是觉得… | 
| [1:31:22] | I ought to apologise to… someone. | 我应该向….谁道歉 | 
| [1:31:29] | Not to me. | 不是我 | 
| [1:31:32] | Never to me. | 永远不会是我 | 
| [1:31:42] | They say you come to Vietnam | 人们说你来到越南 | 
| [1:31:44] | and understand a lot in a few minutes. | 你会立即明白很多事 | 
| [1:31:48] | The rest has got to be lived. | 剩下的得自己去体验 | 
| [1:31:53] | They say whatever it was you were looking for | 他们说不管你寻求什么 | 
| [1:31:56] | you will find here. | 你都能在这如愿以偿 | 
| [1:31:59] | They say there is a ghost in every house. | 人们说每间房里都有鬼魂 | 
| [1:32:04] | And if you can make peace with him, | 如果你能和他和平共处 | 
| [1:32:07] | he will stay quiet. | 他会很安静 |