英文名称:The One-million Pound
年代:1954
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:17] | Once upon time when Britain was very rich, | 曾经有段时间英国非常富裕 |
[01:20] | deep in the vaults of the Bank of England | 在英格兰银行巨大的保管库里 |
[01:24] | there was more gold than any where else in the world. | 所储存的黄金比其他任何地方都多 |
[01:26] | “Safe”, people used to say, | 那时有人常说:“信誉” |
[01:28] | “safe as the bank of England”. | 我的信誉就像英格兰银行一样 |
[01:31] | Here it is, Mr. Montpelier. | 给您,蒙帕利尔先生 |
[01:33] | I trust you will not be disappointed | 我相信你对他朴实无华的设计 |
[01:35] | with its prosaic design. | 不会感到失望 |
[01:37] | On the contrary, | 恰恰相反 |
[01:38] | it seems to me a thing of beauty. | 在我看来她简直像个小美人儿 |
[01:41] | If not a joy forever. Allow me, Oliver. | 你总在开玩笑,给我看看,奥利弗 |
[01:46] | It looks good. It feels good. It is good. | 外观精美、手感舒适,它确实很棒 |
[01:50] | And there’s only one other like it, | 另外只有一张和它一样, |
[01:52] | issued in connection with a foreign loan. | 是为了国际借贷才发行的 |
[01:55] | Yes, we read about about it. | 这我们知道 |
[01:56] | That’s what gave us the idea. | 是它让我们有了这种想法 |
[01:58] | The idea? | 什么想法? |
[01:59] | I suppose it does seem a little curious | 我想这看起来一定很奇怪 |
[02:01] | that we should need such a large sum in the form of one note. | 我们竟然需要一张这么大面额的支票 |
[02:04] | It certainly is an unusually request. | 这确实是一个不同寻常的要求 |
[02:07] | I imagine it’s for business transaction. | 我猜想他是为商业交易而准备的 |
[02:09] | Very important business, isn’t it, Roderick? | 是桩很重要的交易,是不是,罗德里克? |
[02:11] | Shall we tell Mr. Garrat? | 我们要告诉加勒特先生吗? |
[02:12] | You leave me no alternative. | 你让我别无选择 |
[02:14] | You see, Mr. Garrat, | 你看,加勒特先生 |
[02:15] | my brother and I require this pretty, exquisite, unique little scrap of paper… | 我和我兄弟需要这张美丽精致独特的废纸 |
[02:20] | for a bet. | 是为了打赌 |
[02:22] | A bet? Did you say a bet? | 打赌?你是说打赌? |
[02:25] | A very important bet. | 一个很重要的赌 |
[02:27] | Gentlemen, you astound me. | 我很震惊,先生们 |
[02:29] | I am astounded at the purpose for which you require this note. | 一是震惊于你们需要这张支票的目的 |
[02:32] | I am astounded that you should call it a…a scrap of paper. | 二是震惊于你们把他叫做废纸 |
[02:36] | Allow me to draw your attention to the text. | 请允许我提醒你们注意一下备注,先生们 |
[02:40] | I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of one million pounds. | 我保证见票即付给支票人100万英镑 |
[03:22] | This consulate is not provided with funds by the United States Government… | 美国政府未向本领事馆提供资金… |
[03:27] | for the assistance of needy Americans in London. | 用以帮助在伦敦的贫困美国公民 |
[03:32] | Well, tha’s too bad. | 真是太糟了 |
[03:34] | I’d have thought this would be just the place. | 我原以为这是唯一能帮助我的地方 |
[03:35] | Well, that doesn’t mean we’re not anixious to help. | 这并不是我们不能给你提供帮助 |
[03:38] | Might find you a berth in a cargo ship, and you could work your passage home. | 也许你能在货轮上找份差事, 能够赚到回家的路费 |
[03:41] | Well, would there be any chance that I could find work here? | 我有没有可能在这里找份工作? |
[03:43] | Well, if you’d like to call back in a week or two, we’ll make enquiries. | 如果你过一两个星期再来,我们愿意帮你咨询 |
[03:46] | A week? That’s a long time. | 一个星期?时间太长了 |
[03:48] | If I could just get a little money to last me through the next few days | 如果我有点钱再坚持几天的话 |
[03:52] | I can find work for myself. | 我自己就可以找工作了 |
[03:53] | We can give you a small loan if you can guarantee repayment. | 如果你能保证偿还的话,我们可以给你少量贷款 |
[03:57] | Can you offer us any kind of security? | 你能提供任何形式担保吗? |
[03:59] | Well, I’ve got a head on my shoulders and a good pair of hands. | 我的肩膀上有个脑袋,还有一双不错的手 |
[04:03] | Unless you don’t trust me, that’s security, isn’t it? | 如果你们信任我的话,这就是担保 |
[04:05] | Ah, it’s no security at all. | 这根本不是担保 |
[04:07] | Many people pass through this office making similar requests. | 许多人在这里都提出类似的要求 |
[04:10] | If we made an exception | 如果我们能通融的话 |
[04:11] | we wouldn’t know where to stop. | 早就没完没了了 |
[04:13] | Or if you like, I’ll report back to you every day. | 如果你愿意的话,我每天都可以到这报到 |
[04:15] | Sorry, can’t be done. | 对不起,这绝对不行 |
[04:17] | Now for the price of one shilling you can join the Anglo-American Society. | 不过你只要花一个先令, 就可以参加英裔美国人社团 |
[04:20] | That would put you in touch with people | 在那你会接触一些有地位的人 |
[04:21] | in a position to help you. | 他们或许能够帮助你 |
[04:23] | Well, I think on the whole I’d better try to help myself. | 说来说去最好还是我自己想办法 |
[04:26] | Well, that’s up to you, sir. | 随你的便,先生, |
[04:28] | Come back if you have no luck. | 如果运气不好的话你可以再回来 |
[04:30] | I’ll do that. | 到时候我会的 |
[04:32] | Er…could I have one of these? | 我可以吃一点吗? |
[04:35] | Of course. | 当然可以 |
[04:37] | Sorry. All gone. | 对不起,吃光了 |
[04:43] | Thanks. | 谢谢! |
[05:00] | Lovely muffins. Muffins. | 好吃的松饼,松饼! |
[05:03] | Fresh muffins. Lovely muffins. Muffins. | 新鲜的松饼,好吃的松饼,松饼 |
[05:40] | Young man. | 年轻人 |
[05:43] | Would you Step inside a moment, please? | 请你进来一下,好吗? |
[05:48] | Who, me, sir? | 是叫我吗?先生 |
[05:49] | Yes, you. | 是你 |
[05:50] | Through the front door. On your left. | 从前门进来,在你的左边 |
[05:55] | Thanks. | 谢谢! |
[06:04] | Good morning, sir. Will you please come in? | 早上好,先生,请您进来好吗? |
[06:13] | Permit me to lead the way, sir. | 请允许我为您带路 |
[06:35] | The young gentleman, sir. | 他来了,先生 |
[06:36] | Thank you, James. That will be all. | 谢谢,詹姆斯,没你的事了 |
[06:38] | How do you do, Mr. er… | 你好,呃…… |
[06:40] | Adams. Hery Adams. | 亚当斯,亨利・亚当斯 |
[06:42] | Come and sit down, Mr. Adams. | 请坐吧,亚当斯先生 |
[06:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢! |
[06:48] | You’re an American, Mr Adams? | 您是美国人吗?亚当斯先生 |
[06:50] | That’s right. From New England. | 是的,家在新英格兰 |
[06:52] | How well do you know London? | 您了解伦敦的情况吗? |
[06:53] | Well, not at all, sir. | 一点也不了解 |
[06:54] | It’s my first trip here. | 这是我第一次来这 |
[06:55] | I wonder, Mr. Adams, if you’d mind asking a few questions? | 我不知道你介意不介意,我们问您几个问题? |
[07:00] | Go right ahead. | 好,请问吧 |
[07:01] | May we ask what you are doing in this country? | 请问您,您现在在这儿做什么? |
[07:03] | And what your plans are? | 你有什么计划? |
[07:04] | One thing at a time, Oliver. | 一次只提一个,奥利弗 |
[07:05] | Well, I can’t say that I have any plans. | 我只能说我没有计划 |
[07:07] | I’m hoping to find work. | 我只希望能够找到工作 |
[07:09] | As a matter of fact I landed in Britain by accident. | 实际上由于一次意外,我才来到这的 |
[07:12] | How is that possible? | 这怎么可能? |
[07:13] | Well, you see, back home I have my own little cutter. | 你知道,我在家里有一条自己的小船 |
[07:15] | She’s just a fourteen footer | 他只有14尺长 |
[07:16] | but I get a lot of fun out of her. | 我从那得到了不少乐趣 |
[07:19] | Well, four weeks ago last Saturday, I was sailing out of the bay… | 四周前的一个星期六,我正准备驶出海湾… |
[07:26] | Well, go on. | 你接着说 |
[07:27] | Where was I? | 说哪了? |
[07:29] | You were sailing out of the bay. | 你准备驶出海湾 |
[07:32] | Oh yes. Well, towards dusk I found myself in the thick of a westerly gale. | 是的,黄昏的时候,我发现刮起了强烈的西风 |
[07:37] | I did the only thing I could | 做了我唯一能够做的事情 |
[07:39] | and ran before it all night. | 天黑前全速航行 |
[07:40] | Next morning I’d just about given myself up for lost, | 但是第二天早上, 我几乎认为自己已经没有生还可能的时候 |
[07:44] | when I was spotted by a brig. | 幸亏一艘帆船发现了我 |
[07:45] | It was the brig that brought you to England? | 那帆船带你来了英格兰? |
[07:47] | That’s right. I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand,which… er… | 是的,他们让我在船上帮工以抵消我的船票 |
[07:52] | accounts for my somewhat disreputable appearance. | 这就是我这身不太体面的穿着的原因 |
[07:55] | You mustn’t worry about that. | 你不必再为此感到担忧了 |
[07:56] | It’s a positive advantage. | 这简直太妙了! |
[08:00] | I’m afraid I don’t quite follow you, sir. | 我好象不太明白您的意思 |
[08:02] | Tell us, Mr. Adams… | 告诉我们,亚当斯先生 |
[08:03] | What sort of work were you engaged in? | 你原先是做什么工作的? |
[08:05] | I had job with a shipbuilding firm. | 我以前在一家船厂工作 |
[08:08] | Would you be right in thinking that you two might be able to offer me some kind of work? | 你们也许在想你们 能给我提供一份工作,对吗? |
[08:12] | Patience, Mr. Adams. Patience. | 别着急,亚当斯先生,别着急! |
[08:13] | If it’s not an indelicate question— | 恕我冒昧的问一句 |
[08:15] | Have you any money? | 你还有钱吗? |
[08:18] | Well, to tell you the truth, my bank roll is zero. | 说老实话我银行的存款是零 |
[08:21] | What luck! Roderick, what luck! | 这太幸运了,罗德里克,太幸运了! |
[08:26] | It may seem lucky to you gentlemen, | 这也许对你们来说很幸运 |
[08:28] | But it’s not very lucky to me. | 但对我来说可没什么好的! |
[08:30] | If this is your idea of some kind of a joke, | 如果这一切不过你们开的玩笑 |
[08:32] | I don’t think it’s very funny. | 我并不觉得很有趣 |
[08:35] | Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be on my way. | 如果你们不介意的话我告辞了 |
[08:36] | Please don’t go, Mr. Adams. | 请不要走,亚当斯先生 |
[08:38] | You mustn’t think we’re insensitive, even though my brother is a little tactless. | 你一定不要介意,我兄弟的话不太礼貌 |
[08:42] | Oliver, give him the letter. | 奥利弗,把信给他 |
[08:45] | I was about to say the same thing myself | 我正要跟他说这件事呢 |
[08:48] | The letter. | 一封信 |
[09:01] | The letter. | 信 |
[09:03] | For me? | 给我的? |
[09:04] | For you. | 是的 |
[09:07] | Oh no, you mustn’t open it. Not yet. | 不,现在不要拆开 |
[09:09] | You may open it at… er… two o’clock. | 您拆开他的时间是下午2点 |
[09:12] | Not a moment before. | 一分钟也不要提前 |
[09:13] | This is ridiculous. | 这可真有点滑稽 |
[09:14] | It’s not ridiculous. There’s money in it. | 不滑稽,里边装的是钱 |
[09:19] | Oh, well, now, listen to me. I don’t need you charity. | 哦,好了,请听我说,我不需要你们的施舍 |
[09:21] | All I want is an honest job of work. | 我需要的是一份工作 |
[09:23] | If you can’t do… | 如果你们不行的话 |
[09:24] | We appreciate you honesty, Mr. Adams. | 我们很赞赏你诚实的品格,亚当斯先生 |
[09:26] | That’s why we’ve give you the letter. | 这也正是我们把信交给你的缘故 |
[09:29] | James, show Mr. Adams out. | 詹姆斯,送亚当斯先生出去 |
[09:31] | Good luck, Mr. Adams. | 祝你好运! |
[09:32] | Well, why don’t you explain what this is all about? | 你们为什么不告诉我这到底是怎么回事呢? |
[09:35] | You’ll soon know. | 你很快就会知道的 |
[09:36] | At two o’clock, Mr. Adams. | 下午2点,亚当斯先生 |
[09:38] | In exactly one hour and ten minutes. | 还有1小时10分钟 |
[09:42] | One hour and ten minutes. | 1小时10分钟 |
[09:44] | This way, sir. | 这边走,先生 |
[09:47] | Mr. Adams. | 亚当斯先生 |
[09:51] | Not until two o’clock. | 一定不要提前拆开 |
[09:53] | Promise? | 能保证吗? |
[09:56] | Promise. Goodbye. | 我保证,再见 |
[10:07] | Ah! Honest, intelligent, a stranger to London… | 诚实机智,对伦敦一无所知 |
[10:10] | And not a penny with which to bless himself. | 而且除此之外身无分文 |
[10:13] | Perfect! | 太棒了! |
[10:48] | That one’s reserved. | 这张桌子已经有人预定了 |
[10:49] | This way, please. | 请您这边来 |
[10:58] | Take this gentleman’s order, Horace. | 给这位先生点菜,霍勒斯 |
[11:20] | I’ll have some ham and eggs, and a nice big juicy steak | 我要一些火腿和鸡蛋,一大块上好的炸牛排 |
[11:24] | with all the trimmings, and make it extra thick. | 在加上所有的配菜,在浇上浓汁 |
[11:27] | It’ll cost a tidy bit. | 这得花不少钱 |
[11:28] | That’s understood. And a long cool tankard of ale. | 我知道,再来一大杯冰镇啤酒 |
[12:20] | Er…Waiter. | 服务员 |
[12:22] | Same thing again please. | 同样的再来一份 |
[12:24] | Again? | 再来一份? |
[12:25] | That’s right. And fill that up. | 是的,别忘了啤酒 |
[12:29] | Anything wrong? | 有什么问题吗? |
[12:31] | No. No, sir. | 没有,没有,先生 |
[12:35] | He’s asked for another portion. Ale and all. | 他想照原样再来一份,还有啤酒 |
[12:39] | Do you think he can pay? | 你认为他付得起钱吗? |
[12:41] | We’ll have to chance it. | 只能碰碰运气 |
[12:43] | Serve him, Horace. | 给他上一份 |
[12:44] | But don’t spare the gristle. | 但是不要去软骨,知道吗? |
[12:53] | Ham, eggs, steak, potatoes, beans carrots twice. | 火腿、鸡蛋、牛排、 西红柿、豌豆、胡萝卜各两份 |
[12:56] | Trifle. Cheese. Coffee. Two quarts of ale. Three and ten pence. | 松糕、乳酪、咖啡、两杯啤酒,总共3英镑零10便士 |
[13:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢! |
[13:03] | Would you mind waiting just a few minutes? | 你不介意多等一会吧? |
[13:05] | What’s there to wait for? | 还有什么可等的? |
[13:06] | All right, Horace. | 我来吧,霍勒斯 |
[13:09] | That was a wonderful meal. | 这真是一顿美餐啊! |
[13:13] | You know, it’s amazing how much pleasure | 要知道,你会从很简单的东西里 |
[13:16] | you get out of the simple things… | 得到莫大的快乐… |
[13:17] | if you’ve had to get along without them for a while. | 如果你有很长一段时间没有他们的话 |
[13:20] | Very interesting. And now perhaps if you’d pay the bill, | 很精彩,但是您可以结账了 |
[13:22] | I could attend to the other customers. | 这样我就可以照顾其他顾客 |
[13:24] | That clock of yours, is it correct? | 你们的挂钟走的准吗? |
[13:27] | If anything, it’s fast. | 也许,也许快一点 |
[13:29] | It’s fast? | 快一点? |
[13:31] | How fast? | 快多少? |
[13:32] | Two minutes. | 是两分钟 |
[13:34] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[13:35] | Now, I don’t wish to be unpleasant, | 好啦,我不想闹得不愉快 |
[13:38] | but would you please settle the bill? | 你到底想不想结账? |
[13:39] | I want to, but you see… | 当然想不过您看 |
[13:42] | The bill, please. | 请结账吧 |
[13:44] | Yes, I know, the bill. | 是的,我知道,结账 |
[13:46] | Exactly. | 一点不错 |
[13:51] | Well, I don’t suppose a couple of minutes will make any difference. | 就差几分钟,不会有什么问题吧 |
[14:24] | Er…I’m awfully sorry, | 真的很抱歉 |
[14:26] | but I don’t have anything smaller. | 不过我没有零钱 |
[14:29] | Well. Well…er…er… | 这…这… |
[14:36] | Just one moment. | 请等一下 |
[14:39] | Maggie. Look. | 玛姬,你看 |
[14:45] | Do you think it’s real? | 这钱是真的吗? |
[14:52] | Ask Mr. Clements. | 去问问克莱门茨先生 |
[14:54] | Mr. Clements. Mr. Clements. What is it? Would you mind just looking at this? | -克莱门茨先生. -什么事啊? 请您看看这个 |
[15:12] | Do you think it’s genuine? | 这钱是真的吗? |
[15:16] | Two notes of this denomination have been issued, | 这种支票只发行了两张 |
[15:18] | but in any case it’s hardly likely to be a forgery. | 不管怎么看,它都不像是假的 |
[15:21] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[15:21] | It would draw too much attention to the owner. | 持有他的人,会引起所有人的注意 |
[15:23] | No forger would want that. | 骗子不会这么做的 |
[15:25] | But look at the owner, Mr. Clements. He’s in rags. | 可是你看那个人你看他穿的 |
[15:33] | I can only assume he’s an eccentric millionaire. | 我断定,他是个行为古怪的百万富翁 |
[15:36] | An eccentric millionaire! | 行为古怪的百万富翁! |
[15:38] | And you put him at the back of the room. | 可你竟然让他坐里面 |
[15:39] | Go and attend to him at once. | 还不赶快过去 |
[15:43] | I’m sorry, sir, but I cannot change the note. | 实在对不起,先生,这钱我找不开 |
[15:46] | Oh, but it’s all I have on me. | 可我身上除了他没别的 |
[15:48] | All! Oh, please don’t worry, sir. It’s of no consequence. | 别担心,先生,这没有关系 |
[15:51] | No consequence at all. | 一点关系也没有 |
[15:52] | We are most gratified that you should so much as step foot inside our little establishment. | 您能光临像我们这样的小店, 真是我们莫大的荣幸 |
[15:55] | Indeed, sir, | 说真的,先生 |
[15:56] | I trust you will come here | 我相信您一定会来我们这的 |
[15:58] | whenever you are seeking peace and quiet. | 无论什么时候您想找个清净的地方进餐 |
[15:59] | Well, that’s very good of you. | 谢谢你的好意 |
[16:01] | Good, sir? | 我的好意? |
[16:02] | It’s good for you, sir. | 应该谢谢您的好意,先生! |
[16:03] | You must come whenever you want and have whatever you like. | 随便什么时候,随便想吃什么 |
[16:05] | The mere hour of you presence is a reward in itself. | 只要您能光临,这是我们小店最大的荣幸 |
[16:08] | I may not be passing this way for quite a while. | 我也许有一段时间不会路过这里 |
[16:12] | I would be a very poor thing, sir, If I couldn’t trust a gentleman as rich as yourself, sir. | 说哪儿的话,难道我还不能相信 像您这样的富有绅士吗? |
[16:16] | Even if you do play larks …upon the public in the matter of dress. | 虽然您穿的这个衣服和大家开了个玩笑 |
[16:18] | As for the bill, | 至于账单吗 |
[16:21] | sir, please forget it. It’s of no consequence. | 先生您就忘了他吧,这没有关系 |
[16:23] | No consequence at all. | 这一点关系也没有 |
[16:26] | Thank you very much, sir.That’s very nice of you. | 非常感谢,你真是太好啦 |
[16:28] | Oh, it’s for us to thank you, sir. | 是我们应该感谢您,先生 |
[16:30] | And I do, sir…from the bottom of my heart. | 我从心底里向你表示谢意 |
[17:31] | Did you want something, sir? | 有什么事吗?先生 |
[17:33] | Do you remember me? | 还记得我吗? |
[17:34] | Yes, sir. | 记得 |
[17:35] | Well, I’ve got to see your employers again immediately. | 我想在见见你家主人 |
[17:36] | They’ve gone. | 他们走了,先生 |
[17:38] | Gone? | 走了? |
[17:39] | Gone abroad. | 出国了 |
[17:41] | But…but they were here just an hour ago. | 他们一小时前还在这 |
[17:42] | They’ll be back in a month. | 他们一个月以后回来 |
[17:44] | A month from today. | 从今天算起 |
[17:46] | But I can’t believe that… | 可是我不能相信 |
[18:17] | The enclosed Bank Note is lent to you for One Month. | 信里的钞票借给你一个月 |
[18:22] | If you return it intact at the end of that time, | 如果你能够在限期内将他完整无损的归还 |
[18:26] | you shall have any job that is within our power to give you. | 你能够得到我们所能提供的任何工作 |
[18:30] | It may interest you to know | 也许你有兴趣知道 |
[18:32] | that we have a bet on you. | 我们在你身上打了个赌 |
[19:42] | Thursday week, then. | 哦,那就订在星期四吧,好吗? |
[19:45] | Goodbye. | 好的,再见 |
[19:46] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[19:49] | Oh, did the dirty…piece of paper fall on baby’s face? There. | 这张脏纸掉到宝宝脸上了 |
[19:53] | Hold it. Hang on. | 别扔,别扔! |
[20:07] | Sorry. | 对不起! |
[20:10] | Prepare ye for the day of judgment. | 为上帝的最后审判日,做好准备 |
[20:12] | Prepare ye for the day of judgment. | 为上帝的最后审判日,做好准备 |
[20:15] | Prepare ye for the day of judgment. | 为上帝的最后审判日,做好准备 |
[20:17] | Prepare ye for the day of judgment. Prepare ye …Oh! | 为上帝的最后审判日,做好准备 |
[20:56] | What a funny man! | 你瞧这人多滑稽! |
[20:57] | Sh! Behave youselves. | 嘘!规矩点! |
[21:49] | Er… I’d like to have a suit… I thought you might have something ready-made. | 我想买套衣服,我想你们这可能有现成的 |
[21:53] | He’ll attend to you. | 你去找他 |
[21:59] | I want a suit, please. | 我想买一套衣服 |
[22:03] | Er…something I can walk out in. | 要能够穿着出去的 |
[22:05] | Ready-made suits? Down the stairs. | 成衣吗? 在下面 |
[22:09] | Oh…thank you. | 谢谢 |
[22:19] | I hate to interrupt, but would you like to show me some ready-made suits? | 对不起打扰一下, 能帮我拿几套成衣,给我看看吗? |
[22:22] | Yes, I dare say we can fit you up, sir. | 好的先生,我们的衣服一定让您满意 |
[22:24] | This way, please. | 这边来 |
[22:26] | I thought you might have something that is made up for another customer | 我想你们一定有给别的顾客订做的 |
[22:28] | and not collected. | 而没有被取走的衣服 |
[22:30] | Oh, we don’t go in for that sort of thing here, sir. | 我们这没这种衣服 |
[22:31] | Oh, here we are, the very thing. | 这件挺适合您 |
[22:34] | Tell Tod to serve him quickly and get him out of the side door. | 告诉托德,赶快把他打发走,从旁门出去 |
[22:37] | Yes, sir. | 好吧 |
[22:40] | Is this the sort of thing that’s worn in England nowadays? | 这套衣服是现在英国流行的样式吗? |
[22:43] | Oh yes, sir. It’s all the fashion. Try the trousers. | 是的,他很时髦,试试裤子吧 |
[22:49] | Mr. Reid says you’ve got to get him out of the side entrance and be quick. | 理德让你把他打发走,从旁门出去,快点 |
[22:52] | I’ know what I’m doing. I’ve got eyes, haven’t I? | 我知道我该怎么做,我不是没长眼睛 |
[22:59] | It’s …er…. it’s a little noisy, isn’t it? | 他是不是有点太鲜艳了 |
[23:03] | Oh, you won’t do better, sir, | 不必多虑,先生 |
[23:04] | all things considered. You’re a little difficult for size, you know. | 您穿他很合适,要知道您的尺码配衣服有点困难 |
[23:07] | Yes, so I am. | 是的,我知道 |
[23:08] | Well, it’ll do for the time being. I’ll take it. | 先临时凑合吧,就要这套 |
[23:11] | Good. Shall I wrap it.? | 好吧,包起来? |
[23:12] | No, I’ll wear it. Oh, er… I’d rather not pay you now, if you don’t mind. | 不,我穿上, 如果你不介意的话,我最好先不付钱 |
[23:15] | I’d…I’d like to open an account and settle with you in a month. | 我想先记个账,一个月以后在来结 |
[23:19] | You see, I…er…don’t happen any small change. | 你知道,我很不巧没带零钱 |
[23:22] | Here we go! | 是吗? |
[23:24] | I suppose a gentleman like you can only be expected to carry large change. | 我猜像您这样的绅士是从来不带零钱的 |
[23:28] | Now look here, sonny, if I were you I wouldn’t judge strangers by the clothes they wear. | 小伙子,如果我是你我就不会 单凭穿着来判断陌一个生人 |
[23:31] | I just don’t want to embarrass you with a large note. | 我只是不愿意看到你们找不开钱而难看 |
[23:34] | Well, I meant no offence, | 我不想冒犯您 |
[23:35] | but while rebukes are in the air, | 可是我还想冒昧的问一句 |
[23:36] | what makes you think we can’t change a large note? | 你怎么知道我们找不开呢? |
[23:39] | As a matter of fact we can. | 告诉你吧,我们可以 |
[23:41] | In that case | 如果是这样的话 |
[23:44] | there’s no problem. | 那就太好啦! |
[24:16] | Well, what’s up? Waht’s the trouble? What’s wanting? | 怎么了?有什么问题吗?还等什么? |
[24:18] | I’m just waiting for my change. | 我在等他找钱 |
[24:20] | Well, come, come. Give him his change, Tod. Get going. | 快点,快点,把钱给他,托德,快点 |
[24:23] | Change, sir. | 找钱 |
[24:25] | Change! | 找钱 |
[24:30] | Well, could it? Is it…is it…? | 这怎么可能啊? |
[24:33] | Would it be the one I saw in the papers on Wednesday? | 它是… 它就是那张登在星期三报纸上的百万英镑吗? |
[24:36] | Or was it Thursday? | 或者是星期四的? |
[24:38] | I remember thinking that never would I be blessed with the feel of such a note as this. | 真没想到我能亲手摸摸他 |
[24:42] | You’re a fool, Tod, a born fool. | 你这个白痴,托德,天生的白痴! |
[24:44] | Bring the gentleman into this part of the shop. | 你竟然把这位绅士带到这个地方来 |
[24:46] | You’d think we never had dealing with millionaires. | 请原谅,先生,您会认为我们没有接待过百万富翁 |
[24:49] | And take off this jacket, sir, it’s only fit for the dustbin. | 来,把这件衣服脱掉,这只适合用来遮盖垃圾桶 |
[24:53] | Get Jack, Arthur and William. | 去叫杰克,阿瑟和威廉 |
[24:54] | Allow me, sir. Er… this way, sir. | 请让我来帮您,先生,这边请,先生 |
[24:58] | The balance is perfect. | 穿着非常匀称 |
[24:59] | We were making it for the Hospodar of Halifax. | 这是我们专为哈利法克斯的 侯斯帕多大公先生订做的 |
[25:03] | He was very much of the same build. | 您的身材和他一模一样 |
[25:04] | Er… one inch off the sleeves. | 袖子剪短一寸 |
[25:05] | One inch off the sleeves. | 袖子剪短一寸 |
[25:07] | The cravats, Mr. Reid. | 领带,先生 |
[25:08] | I said the new ones form Macclesfield. | 我要麦克莱斯菲尔德那条新领带 |
[25:09] | Yes. Yes. | 好的,先生 |
[25:11] | First thing in the morning | 我们今天要做的第一件事 |
[25:12] | we shall start to make for you. | 就是给您做衣服 |
[25:14] | You’ll be needing a morning suit, | 您需要一套便装 |
[25:15] | a dress suit, something for opera… | 一套晚礼服,一套看歌剧时穿的… |
[25:16] | Now wait a minute, I don’t need all those suits. | 不,不,我不需要那么多套 |
[25:18] | I only came in here for one suit. The waistcoats, Mr. Reid. | 我来这里只想买一套衣服 马甲,先生 |
[25:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:20] | 35,35 Thirty-five. Thirty-five. | |
[25:22] | You’ll never get through the season without them. | 一年四季您都需要这样的衣服 |
[25:24] | Thirty suits is the very minimum. | 30套是最少的 |
[25:26] | My Lord Reddington favours forty-eight. | 莱丁顿爵士一般情况下要48套 |
[25:29] | Square up the neck at the back. | 领口边要挺一些 |
[25:30] | I can’t give you all those orders. | 不,我不能要那么多套衣服 |
[25:32] | Why, you’d have to wait indefinitely for payment. | 我不知道什么时候才能和你结账 |
[25:35] | Indefinitely! A weak word. | 不知道什么时候结账!您用词太客气了! |
[25:37] | Eternally, Mr. Adams. | 您永远不用结账,亚当斯先生! |
[25:39] | Dressing gowns, Mr. Reid. | 家居服,里德先生 |
[25:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:42] | Shrink the front edge a little. | 前边剪短一点 |
[25:42] | Shrink the front edge a little. | 前边剪短一点 |
[25:44] | Now what about a cycling suit, Mr. Adams? | 做一套自行车服怎么样,亚当斯先生? |
[25:46] | Cycling is all the rage nowadays. | 这是现在最流行的运动 |
[25:47] | Then of course there’s Ascot. | 当然还有赛马 |
[25:48] | I’m not going to be doing any cycling | 我不想骑什么自行车 |
[25:50] | and I’m not going to be doing any Ascotting. | 也不想去赛马 |
[25:52] | Sailing’s my hobby. | 我的业余爱好是航海 |
[25:53] | Ah, the sport of kings! | 哦,王室运动 |
[25:54] | Very right and proper for a personage such as yourself. | 非常适合您这样的绅士 |
[25:57] | I thought racing was the sport of kings. | 我觉得赛马才是王室运动 |
[25:59] | Then it ought to be sailing. | 那就应该改成航海 |
[26:00] | Nip in the waist a bit. | 腰围再小点 |
[26:02] | Nip in the waist a bit. | 腰围再小点 |
[26:03] | And make a note, Arthur… a nautical suit. | 记下来航海服一套 |
[26:04] | A nautical suit. | 航海服一套 |
[26:05] | Sparts, Mr. Reid. | 鞋罩,先生 |
[26:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:09] | And just a fraction more skirt. | 下摆加长点 |
[26:10] | Just a fraction more skirt. | 下摆加长点 |
[26:12] | It’s our pride and glory to see a man of your eminence | 阁下,您一年四季都能穿上我们制做的服装… |
[26:15] | properly attired for the season. | 这是我们最大的荣幸 |
[26:16] | To skimp it, Mr. Adams, would be inconvenient to you | 亚当斯先生,如果您在穿着方面 有什么不周到的话 |
[26:19] | and harmful to me. | 那就是我们的损失 |
[26:21] | The other cravats, Mr. Reid. | 其他领带,先生 |
[26:22] | Ah! That will be ready for you in the morning. | 这些衣服明天一早就会给你准备的 |
[26:24] | That’s fine. I’ll just get back into these now. | 太好了,我现在还是穿这套衣服回去 |
[26:26] | Oh dear, oh dear, the humiliation! | 噢,不,不,穿套衣服简直是对您的侮辱 |
[26:28] | Still, I suppose there’s no alternative. | 这样吧, 我想我没有选择了 |
[26:30] | Your address, Mr. Adams? | 亚当斯先生,您的地址? |
[26:31] | Oh, I don’t have an address. I’m changing quarters. | 我没有地址,我正在找住的地方 |
[26:35] | Take my advice and stay at Bumbles. | 听我的,住在宝博斯 |
[26:36] | What’s Bumbles? | 宝博斯? |
[26:37] | The very place, quiet, modest, and discretion itself. | 是个好地方,宁静高雅服务一流 |
[26:40] | Luckily for you I have a relative on the management. | 碰巧我还有个亲戚在那儿 |
[26:43] | Leave it to me. | 这事交给我办 |
[26:44] | Really? | 真的? |
[26:48] | Really? | 真的? |
[26:51] | Really? | 真的? |
[26:54] | Really? | 真的? |
[26:57] | Thank you very much, Reid. I’m most indebted to you. | 太感谢你了,里德,真是太感谢你了! |
[27:15] | Which of suites on the first floor is vacant? | 一楼有空的套房吗? |
[27:17] | None, sir. | 没有,先生 |
[27:19] | Williams. | 威廉姆斯 |
[27:19] | Sir? | 什么事啊? |
[27:20] | Fetch all reception staff and the commissionaires from both entrances. | 去把饭店的所有接待员和服务员都给我叫来 |
[27:22] | Yes, sir. | 是,先生 |
[27:25] | Ah, the Bridal Suite. How long is it since the Duke of Frognal settle his accounts? | 啊,婚礼套房,你记得距弗罗格纳尔公爵,上次结账有多长时间吗? |
[27:29] | Six months, Mr. Lloyd. | 六个月,劳埃德先生 |
[27:31] | I’ll move him up. | 请他搬出去 |
[27:32] | Yes, sir. | 好的,先生 |
[27:32] | Prepare the suite immediately. | 马上准备好这间套房 |
[27:34] | Send up fresh flowers | 要换上新的鲜花 |
[27:35] | —roses, carnations. | 要玫瑰和麝香石竹 |
[27:38] | I want you to pay particular attention to what I have to say. | 我希望你们仔细听我说的每一句话 |
[27:41] | I’m expecting, at any moment, | 我们是在恭候一位绅士 |
[27:43] | a Mr. Hery Adams. | 亨利・亚当斯先生 |
[27:45] | He is somewhat eccentrically dressed, do you understand? | 他穿着一身古怪的衣服,明白吗? |
[27:47] | Quite unlike our usual clients. | 不像我们平时接待的客人 |
[27:49] | But as far as you are concerned, | 但你们只要知道 |
[27:51] | he is attired as correctly as the Admiral of the fleet. | 他不管穿什么都是我们的贵宾 |
[27:54] | You will of course welcome him, with all the discretion for which Bumbles is famed. | 你们要以 我们饭店传统的无微不至的服务来接待他 |
[27:59] | He happens to be an American millionaire. | 他是个来自美国的百万富翁 |
[28:02] | Go back to the door and look out for him. | 现在到门口去迎接亚当先生 |
[28:06] | I do assure you, Your Grace, | 我向您保证,阁下 |
[28:07] | it’s entirely for your own convenience. | 这一切都是为了您的方便着想 |
[28:09] | You will find the room far less disturbing at night. | 您会发现您住那个房间在晚上不会被打搅 |
[28:12] | Nver been disturbed at night since I came here. | 自从我到这来以后一直如此 |
[28:15] | Sometimes I wish was. | 有时候我倒真想被打搅一下 |
[28:18] | The room was previously occupied by my Lord Howard of Howard. | 那房间原来是霍华德公爵住的 |
[28:21] | Nver heard of him. | 我从来没有听说过他 |
[28:23] | This is where I am, and this is where I stay. | 我一直住这,这是我的房间 |
[28:27] | What’s the meaning of this? | 这是什么意思? |
[28:31] | Get out, all of you. Shoo. Shoo. Shoo. | 出去,你们都给我出去,出去 |
[28:34] | Carry on. I assure you, Your Grace, | 干你们的,阁下,我向您保证 |
[28:36] | it’s merely temporary. | 这只是临时的 |
[28:37] | Temporary be damned! | 见你的鬼 |
[28:38] | Naturally I wouldn’t put you to the inconvenience of packing your bags. | 而且我还保证 换房间不会给你带来不方便 |
[28:41] | This is in tolerable. | 我简直无法容忍 |
[28:43] | Come on, out with it. What’s the meaning of it? | 告诉我到底是怎么回事? |
[28:45] | If Your Grace will consider the move in all its aspects, | 如果您对这次换房间有什么异意的话 |
[28:47] | I feel sure you will appreciate its beneficial nature. | 我想你一定会对我们的安排满意的 |
[28:50] | Naturally there will be a light reduction. | 当然我会考虑给您适当的优惠 |
[28:53] | Oh there will, will there? So there ought to be. | 优惠是吗?那还可以考虑 |
[29:00] | Will she be there too? | 她也去那吗? |
[29:01] | That, Your Grace, is a matter for the housekeeper. | 阁下,那是客房主管的事 |
[29:04] | Incidentally, as the new room is below the servants’ quarters… | 你的房间在佣人们住的房间下边 |
[29:07] | You will be far more free to indulge er… your musical inclinations. | 您尽可以尽情展示您的音乐才华 |
[29:11] | Shall I? Now let’s have the truth, Lloyd. | 是吗,让我们直说吧,劳埃德 |
[29:14] | Who have you got coming here? | 是谁要住到这来? |
[29:15] | Come on, out with it. You can’t bamboozle me. | 好了,你告诉我,你骗不了我 |
[29:19] | A Mr. Henry Adams, Your Grace. | 是亨利・亚当斯,先生 |
[29:21] | An American. | 一个美国人 |
[29:22] | An American! | 美国人? |
[29:24] | An American millionaire, Your Grace. | 一个美国的百万富翁 |
[29:26] | Are you trying to tell me American money | 你的意思是说美国人的钱… |
[29:28] | means more than an Englishman’s name? | 比英国贵族的名誉更重要吗? |
[29:31] | I won’t stand for it. | 我真受不了 |
[29:33] | This country’s going to the dogs. | 这个国家堕落了 |
[29:44] | Wait, cabby. | 等一下 |
[30:03] | Good afternoon. sir. Allow me. | 下午好,先生,让我来 |
[30:06] | Er… this way, sir. you’re expected. | 让我来这边走,先生,大家正在等您 |
[30:32] | If you please, sir. | 请吧,先生 |
[30:38] | Quite the most comfortable room I’ve had. | 我住的房间真是舒服极了 |
[30:40] | I’m so glad. Thank you. | 你这么说我真高兴,谢谢 |
[30:44] | Excuse me. | 请原谅 |
[30:46] | Good afternoon, sir. Good afternoon. | 下午好,先生,下午好 |
[30:48] | Welcome to Bumbles. | 欢迎光临,宝博斯 |
[30:51] | Parsons, whatever has come over you? Carry the gentleman’s case. | 帕森斯,你怎么回事?帮这位先生拿着箱子 |
[30:54] | Yes, sir. | 是,先生 |
[30:55] | Certainly, sir. | 先生,请让我来吧 |
[31:00] | Parsons, get up at once. | 帕森斯,你快站起来 |
[31:03] | This way, sir, if you please. | 先生,请这边走,请 |
[31:14] | We’re most honoured that you’re staying with us, sir, | 您能来我们这真是太荣幸了 |
[31:16] | and we can assure you of every comfort. | 我们一定会让您有宾至如归的感觉 |
[31:18] | Good afternoon, sir, and welcome. | 下午好,先生,欢迎光临 |
[31:20] | Wilcox, the register. | 威尔科克斯,帮助登记 |
[31:30] | If you’d kindly sign, sir. | 请您登记一下,先生 |
[31:35] | Just here, sir. | 在这,先生 |
[31:41] | Thank you very much, sir. | 非常感谢您,先生 |
[31:43] | And now if you’ll step this way. We have reserved for you the Bridal Suite. | 现在请跟我来,我们为你预留了婚礼套房 |
[31:51] | Excuse me, sir. | 请原谅,先生 |
[32:03] | Now what do you suppose he uses that for? | 你认为他用的这个东西是干什么的? |
[32:07] | Pick it up, Parsons. Pick it up. | 快拣起来,帕森斯,快拣起来! |
[32:16] | Nothing we of the old country | 在我们这古老的国度里 |
[32:18] | like so much as good sense of humour. | 这种幽默已经不多啦 |
[32:20] | This way, sir, please. | 请这边走,先生 |
[32:21] | My apologies, sir, I trust there’s no damage. | 很抱歉,先生,我相信不会弄坏的 |
[32:24] | If you will replace it in the case | 如果您能重新把他放回箱子里 |
[32:26] | we will have it taken up to your suite. | 我们会把他搬进您的房间的 |
[32:28] | So this is Bumbles. | 这就是宝博斯 |
[32:29] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[32:30] | The manager’s expecting you. | 经理正在等您呢 |
[32:33] | Excuse me, sir. | 请原谅,先生 |
[32:36] | This is Mr. Henry Adams, sir. | 这位是亨利・亚当斯先生 |
[32:38] | Adams! Did you say Adams! | 亚当斯!你是说亚当斯! |
[32:41] | That’s right. I understand I’m expected here. | 没错,听说你们在等我 |
[32:46] | Mr. Adams, I apologize profusely. | 亚当斯先生,我很抱歉 |
[32:49] | There’s been the most unfortunate misunderstanding. | 真的这完全是个误会 |
[32:51] | You’re an impostor. | 你是个骗子 |
[32:53] | Parsons, I’m surprised at you. | 帕森斯,我对你太失望了 |
[32:56] | Perhaps you’ll have the goodness to leave. | 我看你还是赶快走吧 |
[32:58] | I said, would you mind leaving? | 我是说你介意赶快离开这儿吗? |
[33:02] | If you would just sign the register. | 请您登一下记 |
[33:03] | Well, what’s going on here? | 这出什么事了? |
[33:05] | Just a mistake of the commissionaire’s | 是看门的服务员给搞错了 |
[33:06] | Get rid of him. | 快把他弄走 |
[33:06] | The foolish fellow mistook him for you, Mr. Adams. Quite unforgivable. | 这些白痴把他错当成您了,亚当斯先生, 真是不可原谅! |
[33:11] | Excuse me. Hop it! | 对不起!放手! |
[33:14] | This way, please. | 请这边走 |
[33:24] | Fetch the police, Williams. The police. | 赶快叫警察,威廉姆斯,赶快叫警察 |
[33:28] | Now, now. Just a miniute. I don’t think we need the police. | 等等,等一下,我想不必叫警察 |
[33:31] | I’d like to have a talk with this gentleman. | 我到愿意和这位先生谈谈 |
[33:35] | Can’t talk? | 不能说话? |
[33:36] | Well, that doesn’t affect your drinking habits, does it? | 这并不影响你喝酒的习惯对吧? |
[33:40] | Good. | 太好了! |
[33:41] | Then Perhaps you’ll be kind enough to lead the way for us. | 那就请他帮我们带一下路吧 |
[33:44] | Certainly, Mr. Adams. | 好的,亚当斯先生 |
[33:45] | Attend to the bodies instantly. This way, sir. | 马上招待客人,请这边走,先生 |
[33:47] | Er…laryngitiis? | 是喉炎吗? |
[33:52] | Oh, you’re a boxer. | 是个拳击手? |
[33:56] | Strong man? | 大力士? |
[33:57] | Well, vaudeville? | 演杂耍的 |
[33:59] | Hm…the circus? | 马戏团的? |
[34:00] | Well, what do you know about that? | 对于马戏团你知道些什么啊? |
[34:16] | So you see, Rock, Whichever way you look at it I’m in this thing up to the neck. | 我说洛克,你对现在我所碰到的一切怎么看啊? |
[34:20] | All I was doing was walking around looking for a job | 我本来只是在四处找工作 |
[34:23] | and now look what’s happened. | 可现在竟然发生了这种事 |
[34:24] | I didn’t ask for this. | 这可不是我想要的 |
[34:26] | But now that I’m in it | 不过既然已经这样 |
[34:28] | I may as well enjoy it. | 我倒不妨好好的享受一下 |
[34:30] | And that’s where you could come in. | 希望你也能和我分享这一切 |
[34:33] | Are you very busy these days? | 你这些天忙吗? |
[34:35] | Well, that’s great! | 太好了! |
[34:38] | Why don’t you string along with me for the nxet four weeks? | 你这一个月里干嘛不和我在一起 |
[34:41] | Help me to keep the bank note intact, | 你来帮我保护好这张支票 |
[34:43] | and I’ll settle with you | 我会把钱付给你的, |
[34:43] | as soon as I get the job from the two old boys. | 等我从那两个老顽童那儿找到工作后 |
[34:46] | What do you say? | 你觉得怎么样? |
[34:51] | That’s the staff. It ought to be a pretty good job. | 就这么定了,我觉得那是一份不错的工作 |
[34:52] | Worth five hundred pounds a year anyway. | 一年能挣500英镑 |
[34:55] | 600 Six? | |
[34:57] | You know, Rock…you’ve got the right idea. | 你说的不错,洛克 |
[35:00] | In the meantime, we’ll just have to put up with all this. | 在这段时间里我们不得不来享用这一切 |
[35:05] | For the next month | 在这以后的一个月里 |
[35:06] | I’m Henry Adams. the American Millionaire. | 我就是亨利・亚当,一个美国百万富翁 |
[35:53] | Aren’t you over-doing it bit? | 你是不是把我打扮的太过分了? |
[36:00] | No? | 不吗? |
[36:01] | Fine. Let’s be on our way. | 好的,那我们走 |
[36:10] | Good morning. Good morning, sir. | 早上好,早上好,先生 |
[36:14] | Good morning, sir. | 早上好,先生 |
[36:15] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[36:17] | Good morning. Good morning. | 早上好,早上好 |
[36:31] | We set up our consulate entirely for the assistance of our people. | 我们之所以设立大使馆就是为了帮助我们的公民 |
[36:35] | And you don’t give us the opportunity of rendering service. | 而您并没有给我为您效劳的机会 |
[36:38] | But for these newspapers I wouldn’t have know of your arrival. | 如果不是这些报纸还不知道您来了呢 |
[36:41] | How long are you staying? | 您准备在这呆多久? |
[36:43] | Well, that all depends er…indefinitely. | 看情况而定吧,我也说不准 |
[36:46] | Good. | 很好 |
[36:47] | You’re in time for the season. | 这个季节来英国很合适 |
[36:49] | Who do you know, Mr. Adams. | 您在这有熟人吗?亚当斯先生 |
[36:50] | I don’t know anyone except er…two brothers in Belgrave Square— Oliver and Roderick something or other. | 没有,除了住在贝尔格莱夫广场的 奥利弗和罗德里克 |
[36:56] | Oh, the Montpeliers, most worthy gentlemen. | 蒙帕利尔兄弟,最富有的绅士 |
[36:59] | Er…no, thanks. | 不,谢谢 |
[37:00] | Oh, I insist. | 还是请吧 |
[37:01] | It’s one of my personal Havana selections. | 这是我在哈瓦那亲自挑选的 |
[37:06] | Oh! Now that you’re here we must see what we can do for you. | 既然您来了我们得看看我为您做点什么? |
[37:10] | Though as Ambassador I think I should admonish you for not coming before. | 因为您初次来到这里, 作为大使我想我应该给您一些忠告 |
[37:15] | Er…Well…er…that isn’t strictly true, Your Excellency. | 其实并不完全是这样,阁下 |
[37:17] | I…I was here once before. | 我过去来过一次 |
[37:20] | Then why wasn’t I told? | 那怎么没人通知我!? |
[37:22] | Well, it was…er…well | 是这样 |
[37:24] | I…I was in er…difficulties over currency. As a matter of fact I still am. | 我当时花钱很不方便,其实现在也是一样 |
[37:29] | You see this note of mine… | 你知道我的钱是一张… |
[37:32] | Say no more, Mr. Adams. | 别说了,亚当斯先生 |
[37:33] | Would a hundred pounds tide you over? | 面值100英镑的纸币行吗? |
[37:37] | Oh now, that’s awfully good of you, but I…I… | 你真是太好了,可是我… |
[37:39] | Nonsense! | 别客气 |
[37:39] | Bring in a hundred pounds immediately for Mr. Henry Adams. In five pound notes. | 马上给亨利・亚当先生准备一些 面值为百镑的纸币,要面值500英镑的 |
[37:44] | Oh, thanks very much. I… | 非常感谢,我… |
[37:46] | I’ve told you before, we’re here to help our nationals. | 我们在这就是为了帮住我们的同胞 |
[37:49] | Now to get down to more serious matters. | 现在我们来商量一些重要的事 |
[37:53] | I must open a few doors for you. | 我要为你扩大一下交际圈 |
[38:08] | Mr. Henry Adams. | 尊敬的亨利・亚当斯先生到 |
[38:15] | How good of you to come, Mr. Adams. | 您能来我真是太高兴了,亚当斯先生 |
[38:17] | This is my hunsband. | 这是我丈夫 |
[38:18] | How do you do? | 你好,先生 |
[38:18] | Now this is a very informal occasion. | 这只是个日常性的聚会 |
[38:21] | I do hope you’re going to enjoy youself. -Lord and Lady Crockington. | -我们真的希望你能玩的开心 -克劳金顿勋爵与夫人 |
[38:24] | And if i see you in difficulties with any of my more tiresome friends, | 如果我发现你被那些无聊的朋友给缠住了 |
[38:27] | I shall fly over and rescue you at once. | 我会马上过来救你的 |
[38:30] | Oh, Lord and Lady Hurlingham | 哈林汉姆勋爵和夫人 |
[38:32] | Mr. Henry Adams. | 亨利・亚当斯先生 |
[38:33] | Lord and Lady Hurlingham and Lady Jane. | 哈林汉姆勋爵夫妇,珍尼小姐 |
[38:35] | Lady Jane is so fond of horses. | 珍尼小姐喜欢赛马 |
[38:38] | Are you interested in horses, Mr. Adams? | 您对赛马感兴趣吗?亚当斯先生 |
[38:40] | Oh, yes, indeed. As a matter of fact… | 是的,当然,实际上… |
[38:42] | Mr. Adams, I want you to meet the Waldrons, the Gloucestershire branch. | 亚当斯先生, 请您见见沃尔德隆斯勋爵,格洛斯特郡分支的 |
[38:44] | Not butting in, am I? | 不打扰你们吧? |
[38:45] | Not at all. | 没关系 |
[38:48] | -Sir William Maclean. -Charming. | -威廉麦克来恩先生到 -真有魅力! |
[38:50] | If you really wish to understand the British, | 如果你想真的了解英国的话 |
[38:53] | I suggest a visit to the House of Lords. | 我建仪您到上仪院去看看 |
[38:55] | Would you care to come with me? | 您愿不愿意陪我一起去 |
[38:57] | Well, yes indeed. As a matter of fact… | 我当然,我实际上… |
[38:59] | Mr. Adams, I am not anxious to intruduce you to Mr. Hooker Orr… | 亚当斯先生,我想马上把你介绍给胡克欧尔先生 |
[39:02] | Will you forgive me. | 请你们原谅,来吧 |
[39:04] | La Comtesse d’Avignon. | 阿维尼翁女伯爵到 |
[39:06] | Such breeding! | 真有教养 |
[39:08] | Doris likes to play lawn-tennis, Mr. Adams. We just can’t keep her away from the Wimbledon Club. | 桃瑞丝很喜欢打草地网球 她一天到晚都在温布尔登俱乐部。 |
[39:12] | Do the ladies play lawn-tennis in your country, Mr. Adams? | 在你们国家女士们也打草地网球吗? |
[39:14] | Oh yes, indeed. As a matter of fact… | 是的,事实上… |
[39:16] | And now, Mr. Adams, I want you to make the accquaintance of Sir William Gorringe. | 亚当斯先生, 我想让您认识一下威廉柯林奇先生 |
[39:19] | He’s an expert on genealogy. Might dig you up some ancestors. | 他是宗谱学方面的专家, 可能会帮你弄清楚你的祖先 |
[39:21] | Excuse me. | 对不起啊 |
[39:23] | A man of character. | 真有个性 |
[39:24] | Intelligent. | 很聪明 |
[39:25] | We must ask him to come to lunch. | 我们应该请他来吃午饭 |
[39:27] | There have been several cases of Americans who have discovered a peerage in their family. | 有不少美国人发现他们自己是贵族的后裔 |
[39:30] | There you are, what did I tell you? | 你看我说什么来着? |
[39:32] | With a name like yours, the West country might prove fruitful. | 在西方国家里像您这样的名字很多 |
[39:34] | After all Adams is quite an old name. | 毕竟亚当斯是个古老的姓氏 |
[39:36] | Yes, indeed. As a matter of fact… | 是的,实际上… |
[39:38] | Now what are you two men talking about? | 你们两位绅士这是在谈什么呢? |
[39:39] | I’m going to take you away and give you some tea. | 我得把您带走去喝茶了 |
[39:41] | I’ve neglected you quite disgracfully. | 真是不好意思,怠慢了您 |
[39:43] | If this is neglect, Duchess, | 如果这还算怠慢了的话,公爵夫人 |
[39:44] | what is it like when you really take care of a fellow? | 那么你真的好好照顾一个人会是什么样子? |
[39:47] | You must come to one of my little dinners. | 有时间一定到我家来吃晚饭 |
[39:55] | Uncle. | 叔叔 |
[39:56] | What is it, my dear? | 什么事情?亲爱的 |
[39:59] | Doctor and Mrs. Carmichael. | 卡米克尔大夫和夫人到 |
[40:02] | Mr. Henry Adams. I’d like to meet him. | 亨利・亚当斯先生,我想见他 |
[40:05] | Well, go ahead into the scrimmage. | 那你就直接找他去吧 |
[40:06] | I mean on the balcony. | 我是说在阳台 |
[40:08] | Alone | 单独见他 |
[40:09] | Have you succumbed too? | 你也看上他了? |
[40:10] | I merely thought it might be useful to get him interested in Aunt Grace’s charity. | 如果他对姨妈的募捐感兴趣,也许对我们有用的 |
[40:14] | A millionaire behind us is just what we need. | 我们正需要个百万富翁做后盾 |
[40:16] | Well, if that’s your intention, my dear, | 如果你真这么想,亲爱的, |
[40:18] | I’m with you. | 我不反对 |
[40:19] | I’ll do my best. | 我尽力而为吧 |
[40:23] | Ascot. Lords. Riding. bicycling. | 瞧啊,看赛马、打板球、骑自行车 |
[40:25] | Poor Mr. Adams is going to be quite overworked. | 亚当斯先生,他会吃不消的 |
[40:27] | My dear, Japonic wants a word with you, | 亲爱的,杰帕尼克夫人想和你谈一谈 |
[40:29] | she is in a state of acute distress. | 她遇到了很大的麻烦 |
[40:31] | Her son’s joined up with those dreadful Liberals. | 她儿子参加了可怕的自由党 |
[40:34] | Oh, how foolhardly. You see what it is to be a hostess. | 哦太鲁莽了,你们看当个女主人可真不容易 |
[40:37] | She’s the only one who isn’t allowed to pick her company. | 恐怕是这唯一没有自由的人 |
[40:41] | Now I fear I must drag Mr. Adams away from you. | 恐怕我得让亚当先生离开诸位一会 |
[40:44] | I hve a relation who will make my life quite intolerable unless she meets him. | 我有个亲戚非要见一下他, 否则我会被搅的寝食不安的 |
[40:47] | This way, Mr. Adams. | 快走吧,亚当先生 |
[40:49] | General…Bluff. | 布拉夫将军到 |
[40:51] | Now where can she be? I left her beside this window. | 她去哪里了?刚才还在窗户这 |
[40:53] | Oh never mind, sir. I’ve met so many delightful people. | 没关系,刚才我已经见到很多可爱的女士了 |
[40:55] | No. No. There’s no getting out of it, Mr. Adams. | 不,不,我没有胡扯,亚当斯先生 |
[40:57] | My niece can be very determined. | 我侄女一定要见见您 |
[40:59] | Er…perhaps she’s gone out for a breath of fresh air. | 也许她在外边呼吸新鲜空气呢, |
[41:04] | Ah, there you are. | 你原来在这呢! |
[41:07] | How do you do? | 你好! |
[41:08] | Mr. Henry Adams. | 亨利・亚当斯先生 |
[41:10] | My niece, Portia Landsdowne. | 我侄女鲍西娅 兰斯丹尼 |
[41:12] | How do you do? | 你好! |
[41:14] | I’m afraid you’re being rather overworked, Mr. Adams. | 我想您一定累坏了,亚当斯先生 |
[41:16] | Yes, indeed. I mean no, no. | 当然,我是说不,没有 |
[41:19] | If you’ll excuse me, my dear, I must go once more into the breach. | 如果您不介意的话,亲爱的, 我得回去照顾客人去 |
[41:24] | Won’t you sit down? | 您不坐一会吗? |
[41:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢! |
[41:32] | Poor uncle, he hates my aunt’s parties almost as much as I do. | 可怜的叔叔, 他和我一样讨厌姨妈这种招待会 |
[41:36] | Nothing but talk, talk, talk… | 没什么事就说呀说呀的 |
[41:38] | and nobody says anything, do they? | 没有人谈正事儿,你觉得呢? |
[41:41] | Well, nothing very serious. | 是没什么重要的 |
[41:42] | Serious talk at English receptions just isn’t cricket, Mr. Adams. | 在这里的招待会上, 谈重要的事情是不允许的,亚当斯先生 |
[41:46] | Cricket? | 不允许? |
[41:47] | Bad form. | 一种陋俗 |
[41:48] | The only way is to get well out of range of the hostess. | 唯一的办法就是尽量离女主人远一点 |
[41:54] | Oh, it’s raining. | 哦天,下雨了 |
[41:57] | Too bad. It was much nicer out here. | 真不巧,本来呆在外面挺好的 |
[42:05] | Come this way. | 到这边来 |
[42:16] | I’ve taken you at your words. Do you still think it’s nicer out here? | 就按你说的,你现在还觉得在外边好吗? |
[42:20] | It’s nicer than ever. | 比任何时候都好 |
[42:22] | I used to hide here when I was a little girl. | 我还是小姑娘的时候常躲在这儿 |
[42:25] | It must be pleasant to be brought up in a place like this. | 那么在像这样的地方长大一定非常快乐 |
[42:28] | I dare say your own surroundings are far more impressive. | 我敢说你自己的经历肯定更令人印象深刻吧! |
[42:31] | Well, er…different. | 是挺奇特的 |
[42:34] | It’s raining. | 下雨了 |
[42:39] | When we get back in, won’t there be some raised eyebrows? | 我们回去以后会不会有人说我们什么? |
[42:43] | Of course. We’ll invent a reason as to why we’re here. | 当然了,所以我们得编个好的理由 |
[42:46] | Why invent a reason? | 为什么要编个理由呢? |
[42:46] | Couldn’t I just say that | 我难道不能说 |
[42:48] | it’s been wonderful to spend a few moments with the most charming girl at the party? | 在晚宴上和最美丽的姑娘 一起度过一段短暂的时光是非常愉快的吗? |
[42:53] | They can’t possibly be out here. It’s raining. | 他们不会在外面,下雨了 |
[42:59] | You’re trapped, aren’t you? | 您被困在这了,是吗? |
[43:00] | Suits me. What about you? | 这正合我意,你呢? |
[43:03] | I’ll tell you what we’ll do. | 我来告诉你怎么做 |
[43:04] | We’ll say we were discussing the Cromarty Home for Motherless Babies. | 就说我们在说科罗马托孤儿院的事 |
[43:08] | The what? | 什么? |
[43:09] | The Cromarty Home for Motherless Babies. | 收养孤儿的科罗马托孤儿院 |
[43:12] | Oh, they’d hardly swallow that. | 我想他们是不会相信的 |
[43:13] | Oh, but they would. | 不,他们会的 |
[43:14] | It’s my aunt’s pet charity. | 那是我姨妈最得意的慈善事业 |
[43:16] | And being a millionaire | 而且作为一个百万富翁 |
[43:18] | they’d expect you to take an interest in charities. | 他们也希望您对这事感兴趣 |
[43:21] | You do, don’t you? | 您感兴趣对吗? |
[43:22] | Well, yes, I… I do but… | 是的,我感兴趣,可我… |
[43:24] | And to prove it | 为了证明这一点 |
[43:26] | you could say you’re coming to the opening of our new premises. | 您说您将参加孤儿院的新址落成庆典 |
[43:28] | It’s next Wednesday. | 时间是下星期三 |
[43:30] | That is, if you’d like to. | 如果您愿意去的话 |
[43:35] | Um… Will you be there? | 你去吗? |
[43:37] | Of course. | 当然去 |
[43:38] | I’ll be there. | 我也去 |
[43:47] | Will you please look this way, Mr. Adams. | 请您看这边,亚当斯先生, |
[43:49] | Will you please look this way. | 请您看这边 |
[43:53] | Hold it. | 别动 |
[43:56] | Thank you very much. | 好,非常感谢 |
[43:59] | Charming. Absolutely charming. | 太好了,真是太好了 |
[44:04] | Coming, Matron. | 来了,院长 |
[44:15] | They’re adorable, aren’t they? | 他们很可爱是吗? |
[44:17] | Adorable. | 很可爱 |
[44:32] | Now then, ladies and gentlemen, | 好了,女士们先生们 |
[44:34] | we come to the last part of our proceedings. | 现在我们进行最后一项 |
[44:36] | Thanks to the generosity of our many friends | 在许多朋友的慷慨资助下 |
[44:40] | we have paid off the mortgage on the home, | 我们已经全部还清了抵押贷款 |
[44:42] | and the running costs for one whole year. | 和维持孤儿院整整一年的开销 |
[44:48] | But the Cromarty Home must go on | 可是孤儿院还要继续开办下去 |
[44:51] | and we must lose no opportunity to make a great deal of money. | 因而我们必须尽一切可能筹集资金 |
[44:54] | I therefore propose putting up for auction | 所以我们打算拍卖 |
[44:57] | this magnificent contemporary vase… | 这个美丽的花瓶 |
[44:59] | most kindly presented by Mrs. Landon-Smith. | 它是有兰登史密斯夫人慷慨捐赠的 |
[45:06] | And to set the ball rolling my husband has offered first bid of twenty pounds. | 我丈夫已经作为第一个竞拍者,愿意出价20英镑 |
[45:11] | Now then, I wonder who would like to top that. | 下面有没有谁愿意出更高的价 |
[45:14] | -现在是20英镑,20英镑,-30英镑 | |
[45:17] | Thirty pounds. That is a lovely start. Now then, thirty pounds. | 哦,30英镑你开了一个好头,现在30英镑, |
[45:19] | Forty pounds. | 40英镑 |
[45:20] | That’s very fine. Who will improve on forty? | 好,谁愿意在40英镑上再加价? |
[45:23] | Seventy pounds. | 70英镑 |
[45:25] | Oh, Mr. Henry Adams, thank you so much. Now we really are moving. | 哦,亨利・亚当斯先生,太感谢了! 我太感动了! |
[45:28] | Seventy’s my lucky number. Isn’t that lovely? | 70是我的幸运数字,很可爱不是吗? |
[45:32] | On this unusual object, I’m offered 70 pounds. | 现在已经有人愿意给这个 美丽的花瓶出价70英镑了 |
[45:36] | Er… eighty pounds. | 80英镑 |
[45:38] | Eighty pounds, and well worth it. Now let’s go up in leaps and bounds. | 80英镑,真是物有所值, 还有人愿意出更高的价吗? |
[45:42] | Eighty-two pounds and ten shillings. | 82英镑零10先令 |
[45:44] | Eighty-two pounds and ten shillings from Mr. Henry Adams. | 哦,亨利・亚当斯先生出价82英镑10先令 |
[45:47] | -What a charmingly whimsical gesture. | -这真是个不同寻常数字,-100英镑 |
[45:51] | Oh, thank you so much. One hundred pounds. That offers three figures. | 太感谢您了!100英镑,已经出价到3位数了 |
[45:55] | How about a hundred and fifty pounds? | 150英镑怎么样? |
[46:02] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[46:04] | Well, who would like to advance me something over a hundred pounds? | 有没有人愿意出比100英镑更高的价? |
[46:07] | Five hundred pounds. | 500英镑 |
[46:08] | Five hundred pounds! This gentleman! | 这位先生出价500英镑! |
[46:11] | One thousand pounds. | 1000英镑 |
[46:12] | Oh, Mrs. Melfort, thank you so much, One thousand pounds. | 梅尔伏特夫人,您太慷慨了,1000英镑 |
[46:17] | -One thousand five hundred pounds. -Thank you. | -1500英镑 -谢谢先生 |
[46:19] | Four thousand pounds. | 4000英镑 |
[46:21] | Hey, fighting me! | 嘿,跟我玩! |
[46:22] | Four thousand and five hundred! | 我出4500! |
[46:24] | Four thousand and five hundred!Now, I wonder if we couldn’t possibly get a wonderful round figure of… | 这位先生出4500, 我在想我们是否能够得到一个整数… |
[46:28] | Five thousand pounds. | 5000英镑 |
[46:35] | Mr. Adams! Mr. Adams offers five thousand pounds. | 亚当斯先生!亚当斯先生愿意出价5000英镑 |
[46:48] | Now is there any advance on five thousand pounds? | 等一下,还有没有人愿意出比5000更高的价? |
[46:54] | Any advance? Any advance? | 有吗?有没有? |
[46:57] | Then going to Mr. Henry Adams for five thousand pounds. | 那这个花瓶就是亚当先生的了 |
[46:59] | Going. Going…Gone. | 一次,两次,成交! |
[47:08] | Oh, it was so clever of you to do it that way. | 您的这种方式真是太妙了 |
[47:10] | For a moment I thought you weren’t going to bit any more. | 刚才我还以为您不会再出价了呢! |
[47:12] | Your vase, Mr. Adams… Your vase. | 您的花瓶,亚当斯先生,您的花瓶 |
[47:26] | Another link between our two great countries. | 他是连接我们两个伟大国家的又一条纽带 |
[47:29] | Hale! Hale! Well done, America. | 干得好!美国人 |
[47:40] | Oh…! | |
[47:45] | Oh…! | |
[47:50] | Oh…! | |
[47:54] | Leave me alone. Leave me alone. Can’t pay. Can’t pay. Oh, can’t pay. | 别来找我,别来找我 不能给,不能给,不能给 |
[48:15] | Rock… | 洛克…… |
[48:19] | Rock… Rock… | 洛克……洛克…… |
[48:25] | I can’t go on with this, Rock, | 我不能这样下去了,洛克 |
[48:28] | not for another day. | 一天也不行了 |
[48:30] | We’re up to our ears in debt | 我们欠的债越来越多 |
[48:32] | and we’re getting deeper every minute. | 而且每分钟都在增加 |
[48:33] | 我们这是在玩火 It’s like walking on quick sand. | |
[48:35] | How much of the Ambassador’s money do we have left? | 大使给我们的钱还剩多少? |
[48:38] | It’s all gone? | 全没了? |
[48:39] | The charities? | 都捐了 |
[48:41] | It costs money to be a millionaire. | 当百万富翁就要花钱 |
[48:43] | Well…Well, we’ve got to clear out of here somehow. | 我们必须赶快离开这儿 |
[48:44] | We…we’ll go into hiding until the end of the month. | 我们得赶快的躲起来直到这个月结束 |
[48:47] | We have to go somewhere, I don’t care where, just so we go. You fix it. | 我们需要换个地方, 不管到哪儿,我们得马上走,交给你办了 |
[48:52] | Oh, that’s a load off my mind. | 这下我就轻松了 |
[48:54] | From now on the masquerade is over. | 从现在起化妆舞会结束了 |
[49:17] | Rock. Look. Listen. | 洛克,你看,你听 |
[49:26] | Smell. | 你闻 |
[49:32] | As I walk along the Bois Boulogne with an independent air, | 就在我沿布瓦布朗大街独自行走 |
[49:36] | You can hear the girl declare, he must be a millionaire. | 你听到有女孩说:他肯定是个百万富翁 |
[49:45] | 洛克,我们不走了 Rock! We’re not going. | |
[49:47] | Things always look bad at night. | 在夜里事情总是显得很糟 |
[49:49] | But this morning the sun is shining | 可今早的太阳还是那么的灿烂 |
[49:51] | and the birds are singing. We can’t throw in the cards | 小鸟依然歌唱,我们不能就这么走了 |
[49:54] | when the game is only half-way through. | 在游戏刚进行到一半的时候 |
[50:03] | Hampshire House. Portia. | 汉普郡公爵府,鲍西娅 |
[50:16] | Tonight, Rock, I’m going to tell her the truth. | 今晚,洛克,我要把真相告诉她 |
[50:19] | Tell her quite simply | 我要让她明白 |
[50:21] | that I don’t even own the shirt on my back. | 就连身上的衬衫也不属于我的 |
[50:23] | Oh no, John. No, John. No, John. Oh, no John. No, John. No, John. No. | 哦 不 约翰 哦 不 约翰 |
[50:37] | Oh, Madam, I will give you jewels. | 哦 女士 我将给你珠宝 |
[50:41] | I will make you rich and free. | 我会使你有钱而起自由 |
[50:44] | I will give you silken dresses. | 我将给你丝绸礼服 |
[50:47] | I’ll have to see you alone. | 我要单独见你 |
[50:50] | When? | 什么时候? |
[50:51] | Now. I’ve something very important to tell you. | 现在, 我有很重要的事情要对你说 |
[50:59] | Keep it stiff, Mr. Adams. | 请伸直了,亚当斯先生 |
[51:05] | Good evening, Your Excellency. | 晚上好,阁下 |
[51:07] | Charming! | 唱得真好! |
[51:08] | Her Garce is in the music room. | 夫人在音乐厅 |
[51:10] | Oh, here comes the American Ambassador with a friend of Mr. Adams. | 美国大使和亚当斯先生的朋友来了 |
[51:13] | A friend of mine? | 我的朋友? |
[51:15] | Yes. Someone called… Eastbourne or Worthing or something. | 是的,是叫伊斯特伯尼或者叫沃辛什么的 |
[51:18] | His Excellency the American Ambassador and Mr. Lloyd Hastings. | 美国大使阁下和劳埃德黑斯廷斯先生 |
[51:23] | Will you excuse me, please? | 请您原谅好吗? |
[51:25] | Wallace, how good of you to come. Good evening, my dear. | 华莱士,你来太好了,晚上好,夫人 |
[51:27] | -Ah, Mr. Ambassador. -Mr. Adams. | -大使先生 -亚当斯先生 |
[51:28] | This is Mr. Lloyd Hastings. | 这是劳埃德黑斯廷斯先生 |
[51:29] | How do you do? It’s nice of you to ask me over, Duchess. | 您好!夫人,非常感谢你邀请我来 |
[51:31] | He’s very anxious to see his old friend again. | 他迫不及待的要在次见到他的老朋友 |
[51:34] | You’re the same Henry. | 和老亨利一模一样 |
[51:35] | You know it’s wonderful seeing you. | 能见到你真是太好了 |
[51:37] | The first time in ten years! | 我们是十年来第一次见面, |
[51:39] | -I used to work with his father. -Charming. | -我过去和他父亲一起工作 -真好啊 |
[51:41] | The minute I saw those pictures of you in the papers, | 一看到报纸上你那些照片 |
[51:42] | I made up my mind to track you down. | 我就下决心一定要来找到你 |
[51:44] | We must find a little corner so you can both have a long talk. | 我们得找个地方,你们可以好好聊聊 |
[51:47] | But first of all, you must meet my family. | 可是你得先去见见我的家人 |
[51:50] | Well, we’ll get together later, then. | 我们回头见 |
[51:51] | Later. | 回头见 |
[51:52] | I always knew that boy would make good. He had it in him right from the time he was a nipper. | 我们就知道他会有出息的,小时候就看得出来 |
[51:57] | This is my husband. | 这是我丈夫 |
[51:59] | No, don’t get up, Duke. | 不,请不要起来,公爵 |
[52:01] | I wouldn’t want to disturb your game of chess. | 我想最好不要打搅你下棋 |
[52:03] | Chess isn’t a game, it’s a disease. | 他就知道下棋 |
[52:06] | And this is my father, Sir John Landsdowne. He’s a great collector of first editions. | 这是我父亲约翰兰斯丹尼, 他是一个首版书大收藏家 |
[52:10] | How do you do? | 您好! |
[52:12] | And do come over and meet my sister. | 快来见见我姐姐 |
[52:13] | She’s just been to America. | 她之前刚去过美国 |
[52:20] | You look so lovely out here in the moonlight. | 在月光下你是那么的可爱 |
[52:23] | It makes it more difficult to tell you than I thought it was going to be. | 这让我更加难以启齿 和你说我原想告诉你的事 |
[52:27] | Here in the moonlight it seems as though words are quite unnecessary. | 在美丽的月光下一切语言都是多余的 |
[52:32] | Yes, but you see, I … | 是的,可是你知道,我… |
[52:34] | Well, I have a confession to make | 我有件是得向你坦白 |
[52:35] | and it’s rather embarrassing. | 我真的很不好意思 |
[52:38] | You mustn’t worry about that. | 您不必为此担心, |
[52:40] | It’s quite customary to be embarrassed. | 这种事情通常是不好意思的 |
[52:41] | You don’t know what it is. | 你根本不知道我要说什么 |
[52:44] | When you hear it you might not like it. | 你听了以后可能不喜欢 |
[52:45] | My reply shall be all that you hope for. | 我的回答会和你所希望的一样 |
[52:49] | I wish I could count on that. | 我倒真的希望我可以期待这样的答案 |
[52:50] | You can. | 你可以的 |
[52:52] | You see… I already know. | 其实…我早就知道了 |
[52:58] | You know? | 你知道? |
[53:00] | I suppose I ‘ve known all the time really. | 我想一开始我就知道了 |
[53:03] | I have a confession to make, too. | 我也有件是要向您坦白 |
[53:05] | I feel the same. | 我和您想的是一样的 |
[53:11] | Portia. | 鲍西娅 |
[53:13] | You… You don’t think I’m forward, do you? | 您…不会觉得我这个人太轻浮了吧? |
[53:30] | Now wait a minute. There are things I’ve got to tell you. | 等等有件事,我必须得告诉你 |
[53:32] | Now it’s more important. | 它现在更重要了 |
[53:34] | And I have got lots of important things to tell you too, | 我也有许多重要的事情告诉你 |
[53:37] | but don’t let’s spoil this moment with words. | 可是我不想说,不想破坏这美丽的时刻 |
[53:39] | Somehow they seem quite inadequate. | 不知什么原因,语言似乎不适合这样的场合 |
[53:45] | Portia! Where are you? | 鲍西娅,你去哪了? |
[53:49] | Where is Mr. Adams? Mr. Hastings wants to talk to him. | 亚当斯先生在哪?黑斯廷斯先生要找他 |
[53:59] | Now, Henry, you’ve got to help me. | 我说亨利你必须要帮助我 |
[54:00] | As we’re alone | 现在就咱们俩 |
[54:02] | I can tell you the whole story. | 我就把实情告诉你吧 |
[54:03] | I’m in trouble | 我遇到麻烦了 |
[54:05] | and you‘ll be able to get me out of it quite easily. | 而你能轻而一举的帮我摆脱困境 |
[54:08] | I’ve made a large investment in a gold mine, the Good Hope Gold Mine. | 我在好望角金矿投了大笔的钱 |
[54:13] | You may have heard of it. | 你可能听说过这个地方 |
[54:14] | It’s sound proposition in every way, | 无论从哪个方面说,那都是个好项目 |
[54:15] | but I need more capital, | 可我需要更多的资金 |
[54:18] | and that’s where you come in. | 这就是我来找你的原因 |
[54:19] | Support from you at this stage | 现在能否得到你的支持 |
[54:23] | would make all the difference between failure and success… | 关系到整个项目的成败 |
[54:29] | Herny | 亨利 |
[54:30] | and on contrast they should strike the reef in no time at all. | 可我很快就要支撑不下去了 |
[54:33] | Of course, I know that we haven’t met for several years, | 当然我知道我们多年没见过面 |
[54:36] | but I was a friend of the family, | 可我是你家人的朋友 |
[54:37] | and you know I wouldn’t let you down. | 不会让你吃亏的 |
[54:40] | Up to now we haven’t wasted a dime, | 到目前为止,我们没浪费过一分钱 |
[54:43] | but now we have no funds at all. | 但是现在我没有资金了 |
[54:48] | Once we get the cash to go ahead, | 只要我有资金支持 |
[54:49] | it’s all plain sailing. | 就会一帆风顺了 |
[54:51] | My idea is to float a new company. | 我的计划是开办一家新的公司 |
[54:54] | And give every shareholder a chance to subscribe to the new issue. | 给每个股东认购新股的机会 |
[54:58] | I want you to look through these paper. | 我希望你看看这些文件 |
[55:05] | Bumble’s, sir. We’re here, sir. | 宝博斯饭店到了,先生,我们到了,先生 |
[55:08] | well, here we are, home already. | 我们到家了 |
[55:10] | Come on in and have a drink. | 请进来喝一杯 |
[55:14] | Well, here we are. | 我们到了 |
[55:16] | Now unreel your story. | 现在说说你的事吧 |
[55:18] | Unreel it! | 什么? |
[55:19] | What again? | 你再说一遍 |
[55:20] | What do you mean, again? | 再说一遍,什么意思? |
[55:21] | Good hopes. Henry. Good hopes. | 关于好望角金矿的事, 亨利,我已经给你说了好望角金矿的事 |
[55:24] | Good hopes! | 美好的希望! |
[55:25] | Henry, you’ve got me worried. | 亨利,你急死我了 |
[55:27] | What did you take over at Hampshire house? | 你刚才在公爵府干了些什么? |
[55:30] | I took the hand of the loveliest girl in the world. | 我和世界上最美丽的姑娘牵手了 |
[55:33] | You mean the Duchess of Cromarty’s niece? | 你是说克罗默蒂公爵夫人的侄女? |
[55:35] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[55:36] | Henry, on top of all this you’re marrying into the peerage. | 哦,亨利,如果这样, 你婚后就贵族家庭的成员了 |
[55:40] | Congratulations. | 我祝贺你! |
[55:43] | Now about this mine,Henry. | 现在让我们来说说金矿的事吧,亨利 |
[55:46] | The land’s there. The gold’s there. | 你看啊地就在那儿,金子就在那儿 |
[55:48] | Tons and tons of it. | 成堆成堆的金子 |
[55:49] | We only have to go another fifty feet | 我们只要在加一把劲 |
[55:51] | and we’ll strike. | 就会大获成功的 |
[55:52] | It won’t take more than a week. | 这用不了一个星期 |
[55:54] | Congratulations, you’re a made man. | 祝贺你!你肯定会成功的! |
[55:56] | Oh, I’m a ruined man, Henry. | 我快要破产了,亨利 |
[55:58] | I’ve sunk everything I have into that mine. | 我把所有的一切都投入了金矿 |
[55:59] | And I can’t hold up. All my own money. | 我坚持不住了,我所有的钱都投进去了 |
[56:01] | If the shares go much lower | 如果股票继续下跌的话 |
[56:02] | I’m out. | 我就完了 |
[56:04] | But there isn’t a capitalist in town who’ll take a chance. | 可现在整个伦敦没有一个 资本家会去冒这样的险 |
[56:07] | I can understand that. | 这我能够理解 |
[56:08] | We capitalists get our money tied up. | 我们资本家不会拿钱干这种事的 |
[56:09] | Henry, I’m not asking you for money. | 我并不是要你出钱 |
[56:12] | What are you asking me for, then? | 那你要我干嘛? |
[56:14] | Have you ever has any reason to mistrust me? | 你信不信任我,亨利? |
[56:17] | My father trusted you. That’s good enough for me. | 既然我父亲信任你,我也一样 |
[56:19] | Then all I ask for, Henry is the use of your name. | 那好我想要的就是借用你的名字 |
[56:21] | That’s all I want, your name for one week. | 我想要的就是借用你的名字一个星期 |
[56:25] | Well, use it by all means. | 你尽管用好了 |
[56:26] | Only what’s my name got to do with your gold mine? | 可是我的名字和你的金矿有什么关系呢? |
[56:29] | It’s a millionaire’s name. | 那是百万富翁的名字 |
[56:31] | It’ll save my life. | 他能救我的命 |
[56:32] | And you’ll benefit, too. | 你也会得到好处的 |
[56:34] | Henry, Mark my words. | 记住我的话亨利 |
[56:36] | Oh! I’m on the rise again. | 我又起死回生了 |
[56:38] | And I’m going to take you with me. | 这也会使你发大财的 |
[56:40] | Higher than you already are. You’ll make money, too. | 比你现在还有钱,你会挣很多的钱 |
[56:43] | We‘re going to pay sky rockets right in the middle of the stock markets. | 我们每天都会从证券市场上 挣到大把大把的钱 |
[56:48] | And what did you take over at Hampshire House? | 你刚才在公爵府都干了些什么? |
[56:53] | Mr. Walter Craddock. Mr. Walter Craddock. | 沃特克拉多克先生,沃特克拉多克先生! |
[56:56] | Are you calling me? | 是在叫我吗? |
[56:58] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[57:01] | Telephone call from your office, sir. | 您办公室来电话 |
[57:02] | Mr. Lloyd Hastings is waiting. | 说劳埃德黑斯廷斯先生在等您 |
[57:04] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[57:07] | Thanks for coming so quickly. Craddock. | 感谢你这么快过来,克拉多克, |
[57:09] | Those Good Hopes, what are they standing at this morning? | 今天早上好望角金矿的股票怎么样? |
[57:11] | Standing? They are on the verge of collapse. | 怎么样?从开盘就一直暴跌 |
[57:13] | Fine. Buy me twenty thousand, on margin. | 那你就再给我买进2万股,凭保证金额度 |
[57:15] | Have you had a touch of the sun or something? | 难道你疯了吗? |
[57:17] | I don’t get your meaning. | 我不明白你的意思 |
[57:18] | Oh, one other item. | 还有件事 |
[57:20] | Buy me an additional twenty thousand in the name of Adams. Henry Adams. | 请你在给亨利・亚当斯先生 买进2万股亨利・亚当斯 |
[57:25] | The Henry Adams? | 那个百万富翁-亨利・亚当斯 |
[57:26] | Who else? | 还有谁? |
[57:27] | He happens to be a very good friend of mine. | 他是我很要好的一个朋友 |
[57:29] | Thanks, Craddock. | 谢谢!克拉多克 |
[57:31] | I’ll give you a call later. | 我回头会给你打电话的 |
[57:38] | Henry Adams… | 亨利・亚当斯 |
[57:44] | Mm, hello, hello, | 喂!喂! |
[58:07] | What’s behind this? | 谁在买这只股票? |
[58:08] | Henry Adams, the American millionaire. | 亨利・亚当斯,那个美国的百万富翁 |
[58:09] | He knows the mine. | 他看好这只股票 |
[58:19] | Finally, I’ve got you all to myself. | 终于,我得到你的心了 |
[58:22] | Yes, Henry. | 是的,亨利 |
[58:24] | Without any distractions. | 什么也不能让你改变? |
[58:25] | Yes, Henry. | 是的,亨利 |
[58:27] | So you’ve got to listen to me. | 所以你必须听我说 |
[58:30] | Yes, Henry. | 好的,亨利 |
[58:36] | Portia, I’m not a millionaire. | 鲍西娅,我不是百万富翁 |
[58:42] | Of course you aren’t. | 你当然不是 |
[58:43] | The bank note, it doesn’t belong to me. | 那张支票不属于我 |
[58:46] | It doesn’t even exist. | 他根本就不存在 |
[58:48] | The whole thing is complete a mistake. It’s a misunderstanding. | 所有的事情都搞错了,是一个误会 |
[58:51] | In fact, I don’t have a single possession that I can all my own. | 实际上没有一分钱是属于我自己的 |
[58:56] | My poor, poor lamb. | 我可怜的,可怜的宝贝 |
[58:58] | Oh, no, no, no, I’m serious. | 不,不,不,我是认真的 |
[59:00] | So you’re living in the Bridal suite at Bumbles free of charge? | 这么说你住宝博斯饭店的豪华套间是免费的 |
[59:04] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[59:05] | And it costs you nothing to eat or drink? | 而且你平时吃喝就不花钱 |
[59:07] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[59:08] | And the tailor, out of the goodness of his heart has fitted you out with all this finery. | 还有裁缝出于好心才给你 提供这些所有高档服装,是吗? |
[59:13] | Well, I don’t know about the goodness of his heart, | 我不知道他是不是出于好心 |
[59:15] | but he’s fitted me out all right. | 但他做的衣服的确不错 |
[59:16] | You really expect me to believe you? | 你真的以为我会相信你? |
[59:19] | Well, when you hear how the whole thing happened you will. You see. | 你听了这一切是怎么发生的之后,你会的, 请听我说… |
[59:21] | And now I think it’s time to stop teasing. | 好啦,我想你不该戏弄我 |
[59:24] | No, I’m not teasing. | 我没有戏弄你 |
[59:26] | I’m not rich. | 我不是富翁 |
[59:28] | I have no money. | 我没钱 |
[59:30] | I’m not a millionaire. | 我不是百万富翁 |
[59:33] | Aren’t you carrying this joke a little far? | 你的玩笑,是不是开的太过火了? |
[59:35] | It’s not a joke. It’s true. | 这不是玩笑,是真的 |
[59:42] | Henry, you can take me home. | 亨利,送我回家 |
[59:45] | But don’t you want to hear how it happened? | 你不想听听这一切是怎么发生的? |
[59:47] | I’ve heard quite enough. Take me home. | 我已经听够了,送我回家 |
[59:50] | Well… I fully understand how… | 非常的理解 |
[59:51] | There is no need to say any more. Do as I ask. Take me home. | 我想你没必要在说下去了, 按我说的做,送我回家! |
[59:57] | Just a minute, sir. | 等等,先生 |
[59:58] | Send the account to Bumbles. | 把账单寄到宝博斯饭店 |
[59:59] | But it’s only a shilling, Mr. Adams. | 可是只有1先令,亚当斯先生 |
[1:00:01] | Never mind. Send it. | 没关系,尽管寄去吧 |
[1:00:02] | Portia, I can understand you’re not wanting to marry a poor man. | 鲍西娅我能理解你不想嫁给一个穷人 |
[1:00:06] | You’re simply adding insult to injury. | 你不但伤害了我,还侮辱了我 |
[1:00:08] | Insult! What insult? | 侮辱你这是什么意思? |
[1:00:09] | As though I can’t see through your ridiculous story, | 故事虽然挺不错的 |
[1:00:11] | it’s quite obvious you invented the whole thing. | 但很显然,你全是编造出来的 |
[1:00:13] | Why should I? | 我为什么要这样? |
[1:00:14] | Obviously to test the strength of my love. | 你是为了考验我对你的爱 |
[1:00:16] | So that’s it. Now you listen to me… | 就算是这样, 请你听我说… |
[1:00:19] | As though I care whether you’re rich or poor! | 我不在乎你是否有钱 |
[1:00:20] | But I do care if you think it make any difference. | 我倒在乎你是否认为这有什么不同 |
[1:00:23] | Portia, you’re wonderful. | 鲍西娅,你太棒了 |
[1:00:24] | And you’re horrible. | 你太可怕了 |
[1:00:25] | And if you’re trying to get out of the five thousand pounds you promised my aunt, | 如果你想收回答应捐给我姨妈的5000英镑 |
[1:00:28] | you may as well know | 你就会知道 |
[1:00:29] | that I shall never marry a man who isn’t charitable. | 我是决不会嫁给一个没有爱心的男人的 |
[1:00:32] | You’re going to listen to me | 我是不是要把你的手脚绑起来… |
[1:00:33] | if I have to bind you hand and foot. | 你才肯听我解释呢? |
[1:00:35] | Oh, Henry, put me down! | 哦,亨利,你放我下来! |
[1:00:37] | Not until we got to Bumbles. | 那得等到了宝博斯饭店 |
[1:00:39] | Henry, you beast! Put me down! Oooooh! | 亨利你太无礼了,快放我下来 |
[1:00:56] | Rising…Rising… | 涨了…涨了… |
[1:01:11] | That’s right, Good Hopes are twenty shillings. | 是的,没错,好望角金矿涨到了20先令 |
[1:01:13] | Good Hopes at once. | 好望角金矿,马上买进 |
[1:01:14] | Is that Mr. Lloyd Hastings? This is Craddock. | 是劳埃德黑斯廷斯先生吗?我是克拉多克 |
[1:01:15] | Good Hopes are twenty shillings. | 好望金矿已经涨了20先令 |
[1:01:25] | Buy. | 买进 |
[1:01:27] | Buy. | 买进 |
[1:01:29] | Buy | 买进 |
[1:01:30] | And that’s my whole story. | 事情就是这样 |
[1:01:32] | And when I take the note back to the two old boys on Thursday, | 星期四我把钱还给那两个老顽童之后 |
[1:01:35] | it will be quite a relief. | 我就会轻松了 |
[1:01:36] | My boy, you’ve done it again; cleaned up; | 伙计,你又一次证明了这一点, 赚钱 |
[1:01:38] | made a fortune. | 我们赚了一大笔钱 |
[1:01:39] | 16 thousand pounds, | 16000英镑 |
[1:01:41] | it’s all gone according to plan. | 一切都是和我们的计划是一样的 |
[1:01:43] | How do you do? | 你好! |
[1:01:44] | Now look here, Hastings, this is no… | 听着,黑斯廷斯,这不是 |
[1:01:45] | Why, with you behind that mine, it doesn’t matter if there was gold there or not. | 那金矿有了你,有没有金子已经无所谓了 |
[1:01:49] | I bought you twenty thousand shores at two and three. | 我帮你在2先令3便士的价位买进了2万股 |
[1:01:51] | They’ve gone up to a pound. | 现在已经涨到1英镑了。 |
[1:01:52] | Take away your original investment and you’ve got fifteen thousand seven hundred and fifty. | 除去原始投入,你净赚了15750英镑 |
[1:01:57] | And it’s all yours, my boy. | 这一切都是你的, 伙计 |
[1:01:58] | Every penny I said you’d never regret this. Henry | 每一个便士都是你的, 我说过你不会后悔的,亨利, |
[1:02:01] | and you never will. | 你永远不会后悔的 |
[1:02:04] | Portia. | 鲍西娅! |
[1:02:07] | What’s the matter? | 你怎么了? |
[1:02:11] | You blithering, blundering… bullnosed, blockheaded, potbellied, | 你是个��里��唆、冒冒失失、 不长眼睛、呆头呆脑、肥胖如猪 |
[1:02:15] | ham-fisted jackass. | 笨手笨脚的大笨蛋 |
[1:02:17] | Henry! Wait a minute, | 亨利,等等 |
[1:02:21] | you can’t go like that. | 你不能就这么走了 |
[1:02:22] | Henry, wait. | 亨利,等一等 |
[1:02:31] | Yes, sir? | 有事吗?先生 |
[1:02:32] | I’ve come to see Miss Landsdowne. | 我来找兰斯丹尼小姐 |
[1:02:33] | My apologies, sir. Our instructions are, | 很抱歉,先生,兰斯丹尼小姐吩咐过 |
[1:02:35] | Miss Landsdowne is not to be disturbed. | 不要让人打搅她 |
[1:02:38] | Nonsense. Tell her it’s Mr Henry Adams, and that it’s very urgent. | 废话,你告诉她,亨利・亚当斯有急事要找她 |
[1:02:40] | If I may say so, sir, | 冒昧的说一句先生 |
[1:02:42] | that would only add fuel, as it were, to the fire. | 你这是火上浇油 |
[1:02:45] | Is that Miss Landsdowne’s handbag, sir? | 这是拉思单尼小姐的包吗?先生 |
[1:02:47] | Yes it is, but look… | 是的,可你看 |
[1:02:49] | I’ve got to see her | 我必须要见她 |
[1:02:50] | In the event of your being importunate, sir, | 如果你纠缠不休,先生 |
[1:02:51] | I was told to say | 兰斯丹尼小姐让我转告你 |
[1:02:53] | Miss Landsdowne hoped she would never set eyes on you again. | 她永远不想再见到你 |
[1:02:56] | I could wish the message had been more delicately phrased. | 我原本想把话说的委婉一些 |
[1:02:58] | Good day to you, sir. | 祝你好运,先生 |
[1:03:01] | 490,495,500 Four hundred and ninety, ninety-five, five hundred. | |
[1:03:06] | Thank you, Your Grace. | 谢谢,阁下 |
[1:03:07] | Not at all. Now, Lloyd | 别客气,劳埃德 |
[1:03:08] | I want my old suite back. | 我想住我原来的房间 |
[1:03:10] | That’s hardly possible, Your Grace. | 这恐怕不行,阁下 |
[1:03:11] | Mr. Adams is still here. | 亚当斯先生还住着呢 |
[1:03:13] | Has he paid his amount? | 他付过房费吗? |
[1:03:15] | That doesn’t arise, Your Grace. | 这没有问题,阁下 |
[1:03:16] | If it arises for an Englishman and a gentleman. | 既然你对英国绅士都不肯赊账 |
[1:03:18] | Why not for a trumped up American? | 为什么不同样对待一个冒牌的美国骗子 |
[1:03:21] | We could accommodate you in the Marborough Suite. | 我们可以为您安排另一间豪华套房 |
[1:03:23] | No, I want my old suite back. | 不,我要住原来的房间 |
[1:03:25] | If we don’t stand up to these Yankee upstarts, | 如果对这些美国爆发户退让 |
[1:03:28] | they’ll be treading all over us. | 他们就会骑在我们头上 |
[1:03:29] | It’s a question of principle. | 这是个原则问题 |
[1:03:31] | He is a public figure, Your Grace, of considerable standing. | 他是个有公益心,有地位的名人 |
[1:03:33] | Stuff and nonsense! | 胡说八道! |
[1:03:34] | How do you know he’s a millionaire? | 你怎么知道他是百万富翁? |
[1:03:35] | Nothing but hearsay! | 不过是道听徒说! |
[1:03:37] | At Bumbles, as you know, we are more concerned with the types of clientele | 在这,您知道,我们更关心顾客的公众形象 |
[1:03:39] | than their personal incomes. | 然后才是他们的收入 |
[1:03:41] | I’m not standing here to be insulted. | 我不能容忍他们的侮辱 |
[1:03:43] | What type do you think it is that doesn’t even tip the barmaid, | 连房间女服务员的小费都不给 |
[1:03:46] | I mean the chambermaid? | 这算什么公众形象? |
[1:03:48] | That little Renie hasn’t had one tip. | 雷尼一次小费也没有拿到过 |
[1:03:50] | She told me herself. | 这是她亲口告诉我的 |
[1:03:52] | If you don’t get him out of that suite, Lloyd, | 你要是不把他赶出那个房间,劳埃德 |
[1:03:53] | I’ll do it myself. | 我自己来 |
[1:03:57] | Rayner. | 雷纳尔 |
[1:03:59] | Sir? | 什么事? |
[1:04:00] | What is Mr. Adams’ account at the moment? | 到目前为止,亚当斯先生消费了多少钱? |
[1:04:03] | A hundred and thirty-six pounds, sir, up to last Thursday. | 截止到上周四一共消费了136英镑 |
[1:04:06] | Is that all? | 就怎么多? |
[1:04:07] | I’m afraid so, sir. | 恐怕是这样,先生 |
[1:04:08] | Pity. | 才这么点啊 |
[1:04:09] | I couldn’t sir. It wouldn’t be right. | 我不能,先生,这是不允许的 |
[1:04:13] | Come on, Renie. Be a sport | 来吧,雷尼,够朋友一点! |
[1:04:15] | Supposing I was caught? | 要被抓住怎么办? |
[1:04:16] | You won’t be caught. | 不会有事的 |
[1:04:17] | It’s only a bit of fun. | 只不过是小小的玩笑 |
[1:04:19] | I shouldn’t. | 不行,先生 |
[1:04:20] | 真的不行 Really I shouldn’t. | |
[1:04:21] | You can say it was my orders. | 你可以说是我让你干的 |
[1:04:23] | Come on, Renie. You like a joke, don’t you? | 好了,雷尼,你喜欢开玩笑,是不是? |
[1:04:26] | Oh but… sir. | 可这次不行,先生 |
[1:04:27] | Do it for me. | 就算帮我 |
[1:04:31] | It is a bit of a lark, sir, isn’t it? | 这只是闹着玩是吗? |
[1:04:33] | That’s the stuff. Ssh! Ssh! | 你说的没错。嘘!嘘! |
[1:04:52] | Thanks Rock. | 谢谢,洛克 |
[1:04:59] | Come in. | 进来 |
[1:05:04] | Good evening, sir. | 晚上好,先生 |
[1:05:05] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[1:05:27] | Rock, I want you to take this round to Hampshire House in the morning, | 洛克,我想让你明天一早 把他带到汉普郡公爵府 |
[1:05:31] | and be sure that Portia gets it herself. | 要亲手交给鲍西娅 |
[1:05:32] | If you don’t bring me an answer directly from her, | 如果你没从他那儿带回什么东西的话 |
[1:05:34] | you’re not the man I think you are. | 你就辜负了我的厚望 |
[1:06:28] | Thank you, sir. Thank you. | 谢谢,先生,谢谢 |
[1:06:50] | I done it, sir. I done it. | 成功了,成功了! |
[1:06:52] | Done what? | 什么成功了? |
[1:06:53] | What you said, sir! | 那件事情 |
[1:06:54] | What was that? | 什么事? |
[1:06:55] | The note, sir. | 那张支票! |
[1:06:56] | Oh, splendid. | 太好了! |
[1:06:57] | Clever little girl. | 你真是个聪明的姑娘! |
[1:07:01] | Thank you, sir. Clever little girl. | 谢谢,先生!简直聪明极了! |
[1:07:07] | Good evening, m’lady. Good evening, madam. Good evening, m’lord. | 晚上好,晚上好,晚上好 |
[1:07:08] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[1:07:09] | The old tunes have so much more melody. | 老曲调听起来是多么的悦耳 |
[1:07:11] | This modern stuff seems to be quite discordant. | 这些新玩意感觉一点也不协调 |
[1:07:15] | It’s all gossip. Nothing but gossip. | 这都是道听徒说,跟本没有什么真凭实据! |
[1:07:16] | Fellow’s only got to talk with a Yankee accent | 大家都得同一个满嘴美国口音家伙说话 |
[1:07:19] | and everyone thinks he’s a millionaire. | 都认为他是个百万富翁 |
[1:07:21] | They can get away with anything. | 轻而一举的蒙混过关 |
[1:07:25] | If you want my opinion, | 至于我的看法 |
[1:07:28] | I don’t believe he’s got a million pound note. | 我根本就不相信他有那张面值100万英镑的支票 |
[1:07:32] | I tell you, my dear, the man is an adventurer. | 我告诉你那家伙他是一个冒险家 |
[1:07:35] | Don’t ask me where I got it from. | 别问我是从那知道的 |
[1:07:36] | It was told to me in strictest confidence by someone very close to him. | 这是一个跟他关系很密切的人告诉我的 |
[1:07:41] | He never even had a million pound note. | 他跟本就没有那张面值100万英镑的支票 |
[1:07:54] | If Henry Adams is a millionare, | 我告诉你如果亨利・亚当斯是百万富翁 |
[1:07:58] | then I’m the King of Arabia. | 我就是阿拉伯的国王啦 |
[1:07:59] | There’s no such thing as a million pound note. | 根本就没有那张百万英镑的支票 |
[1:08:02] | You mean, you… | 你的意思是,你…… |
[1:08:09] | Of course,we know it’s only a rumour, | 当然我们就知道这只是传闻 |
[1:08:11] | but er…my editor wondered whether perhaps you’d cashed the note. | 只是我们的主编认为 你也许把那张支票兑换成现金了 |
[1:08:14] | Not yet. | 没有 |
[1:08:15] | Then if you’d be so good as to show it to me, | 如果肯让我看一下支票 |
[1:08:16] | we’ll give you a front page denial. | 我们会在头版为您刊登辟谣的 |
[1:08:18] | What for? I’m getting tired of showing this note to people. | 没必要,我已经厌倦了向别人展示那张支票了 |
[1:08:21] | Well, your refusal at this moment would only feed the rumour. | 您在这种时候拒绝,只会更加助长传闻 |
[1:08:23] | Rumour,rumour,rumour. What difference does it make whether I’m a millionaire, or not? | 传闻,传闻,传闻,和我是不是 百万富翁有什么关系呢? |
[1:08:27] | Or not? Just as you like,Mr.Adams. | 没有吗?那就不勉强了,亚当斯先生 |
[1:08:29] | Either way there’s a story. | 总之传闻对您不利啊 |
[1:08:31] | You’ve got earthquakes, shipwrecks and …and Lloyd George, | 你报道过地震、沉船、还有劳埃德乔治 |
[1:08:35] | and still you have to pick on me for a story. | 我想你一定也会拿我大做文章的 |
[1:08:40] | All right.All right. I will show it to you. | 好吧,我拿给你看 |
[1:08:56] | Rock. | 洛克 |
[1:09:03] | Where did you put the note? | 你把那张支票放哪了? |
[1:09:27] | Would you like me to …fetch the police? | 您想不想让我帮您叫警察? |
[1:09:30] | No. I would not like you to fetch the police. | 不,我不想让你帮我叫警察 |
[1:09:33] | Well, perhaps you’d like me to contact the bank? | 也许您需要我帮您跟银行联系一下 |
[1:09:36] | what I would like you to do is to stop poking your nose around here and get out. | 我想要你别管闲事啦,赶快离开这儿 |
[1:09:40] | Out. | 出去! |
[1:09:41] | Hold it quite still, Mr.Adams. | 别动,亚当斯先生 |
[1:09:50] | “million pound mystery.” | 百万英镑之谜 |
[1:09:51] | “Following a rumour that Henry Adams no longer possesses the much-talked-of million pound note..” | 在听到有关亨利・亚当不再拥有 那张面值一百万英镑的传闻之后 |
[1:09:56] | What? | 什么? |
[1:09:57] | “…our reporter sought a special interview with him last night…” | 我们的记者昨天晚上,对他进行了专访什么 |
[1:10:01] | “…on being asked to produce the note, Henry Adams was reluctant and , | 当被请求出示那张支票时,他很不情愿 |
[1:10:03] | when pressed, | 在记者的一再坚持下 |
[1:10:05] | unable to do so.” | 他最终也没有拿出来 |
[1:10:06] | When it was suggested that he might call the police or get in touch with the bank… | 当有人建仪他找警察或者与银行方面联系时 |
[1:10:09] | he was adamant in refusing to take either of these most obvious remedies.” | 他断然拒绝采取这些轻而易举的补救方法 |
[1:10:13] | “In the interests of Anglo-American relations | 为了英美两国的利益 |
[1:10:15] | Mr.Adams should lose no opportunity of clearing up the mystery…” | 亚当斯先生应该对这一切做出解释 |
[1:10:18] | “…particularly as it is well known | 众所周知 |
[1:10:19] | that London Society has freely opened its doors to this notorious American visitor.” | 伦敦社会各届曾为这个 声名狼藉的美国游客大开方便之门 |
[1:10:24] | An impostor! Who would have thought it! | 骗子,这谁能想到呢 |
[1:10:26] | It just shows how simple and trusting we are. | 这只能表明我们是多么轻信别人 |
[1:10:28] | I’ve always said you are far too easily imposed upon. | 我早就说过你太容易被骗了 |
[1:10:30] | Charles, | 查理斯 |
[1:10:32] | from now on our doors are closed to Mr.Henry Adams. | 从现在起我们不再欢迎亨利・亚当斯先生 |
[1:10:36] | very good,Your Grace. | 好的,夫人 |
[1:10:37] | And I should think so, too. | 我想我也和你一样 |
[1:10:44] | What extraordinary creatures women are! | 女人真是很难琢磨的动物啊! |
[1:10:46] | She told me she wasn’t speaking to Henry Adams. | 她告诉我,她不再和亨利・亚当斯来往 |
[1:10:48] | And if we’re going to avoid a scandal, she mustn’t. | 要想避免流言非语,她必须这么做 |
[1:10:55] | I’m going straight to Bumbles. | 我要去宝博斯饭店 |
[1:10:56] | No, my dear, you are going to have a good rest. | 不,亲爱的,你应该好好休息一段时间 |
[1:10:58] | I will send you down to the country for a complete change of air. | 我要把你送到乡下去,呼吸一下新鲜空气 |
[1:11:01] | It will make the whole difference. | 这会对你有好处 |
[1:11:02] | Whatever you may do, Iam going to Henry. | 不管你怎么说,我要去见亨利 |
[1:11:03] | If you were an ordinary girl it wouldn’t matter, | 如果你是个普通的女孩,倒也无所谓 |
[1:11:06] | but, alas, we are not an ordinary family. | 可是,我们不是一般的人 |
[1:11:08] | I am going, Aunt Grace, and you can’t stop me. | 我要去,姨妈,你阻止不了我 |
[1:11:10] | I am sorry, Portia. It’s the one thing I can do. | 很抱歉,鲍西娅,我只能这么做 |
[1:11:23] | Let me out! | 让我出去! |
[1:11:24] | I don’t wish to press you, Mr. Adams, | 我并不想催您,亚当斯先生 |
[1:11:26] | but if you could see your way to settling the account it will enable us to bring our books up-to-date. | 可如果您能付一下房费的话, 我们可以把最近的账结了 |
[1:11:29] | I thought you said there was no hurry. | 我原以为没必要这么着急的 |
[1:11:31] | But it is customary to settle weekly at Bumbles. | 可是每周结一次账,是我们这儿的惯例 |
[1:11:33] | But naturally, in your case, | 当然,对于您 |
[1:11:34] | we were happy to let it run for three weeks. | 我们很高兴,把这一期限延长到三周 |
[1:11:36] | I wouldn’t press you either, | 我也不想催您 |
[1:11:37] | but the appalling rise in the cost of labour | 可员工们一直要求长工资 |
[1:11:38] | makes it imperative. | 我也是没办法 |
[1:11:40] | There are two gentlemen waiting in the sitting room to see you, sir. I can’t see them now, I am busy. | 先生,有两位绅士在客厅等着要见您 我现在不能见他们,我很忙 |
[1:11:43] | If you’ll kindly settle, Mr.Adams, we’ll detain you no longer. | 如果你能把账结了的话, 我们就不会再打扰您了 |
[1:11:45] | But you said that you’d wait eternally. | 可你说过可以永远等下去 |
[1:11:48] | Oh….er…a figure of speech. | 那只是个夸张说法 |
[1:11:49] | I realise that, | 这我知道 |
[1:11:50] | but to demand immediate payment just because I can’t lay my hands… ….on the note, | 可因为一时我找不到那张支票, 就马上让我付款 |
[1:11:53] | it’s …it’s unreasonable. | 这没道理 |
[1:11:54] | A hundred and thirty pounds is a big sum. | 130英镑是个大数目 |
[1:11:56] | Nine hundred and fifty. | 我的是950英镑 |
[1:11:58] | There are three more gentlemen waiting to see you, sir. | 又有三位绅士想见您,先生 |
[1:12:00] | Oh no, I can’t see them.Tell them I’m busy. | 不能见他们,我很忙 |
[1:12:01] | Yes, sir. | 是,先生 |
[1:12:02] | I’m not trying to dodge payment | 我并不想拖欠房费 |
[1:12:04] | but…you…. you put me in this suite unconditionally. | 是你,是你让我住在这儿的 |
[1:12:06] | Possibly, Mr.Adams. And you foisted those suits on me | 也许是的,亚当斯先生 你让我穿那些衣服的时候 |
[1:12:08] | with the definite statement that you’d wait as long as I liked. | 曾经表示过无论什么时候付钱都可以 |
[1:12:10] | It’s beyond my power to entend further credit. | 可您再不结账,我就无力经营下去啦 |
[1:12:13] | Countrary to our policy. | 我们也是迫不得已, |
[1:12:14] | I demand a settlement. I insist on a settlement. | 你必须把帐付清 你必须把帐付清 |
[1:12:16] | Excuse me, sir, but… I told you to tell them I was busy. | 对不起,先生,但… 告诉他们我很忙 |
[1:12:18] | Very good, sir. | 好的,先生 |
[1:12:21] | Very well, gentlemen, | 好了,先生们 |
[1:12:22] | you’ll get your money. | 你会拿到钱的 |
[1:12:24] | I’ll settle my accounts in full. | 我会把账结清的 |
[1:12:25] | When? | 什么时候? |
[1:12:27] | This afternoon. You’ve made the great error of thinking that I depend on the note. | 今天下午,别以为我只有那张支票 |
[1:12:29] | It so happens that my real fortune is tied up in mining… gold mining. | 我有大量的投资在矿山–是金矿 |
[1:12:34] | Rock, i want you to be sure Miss Landsdowne gets that letter without delay. | 洛克,我希望你尽快把那封信, 交到兰斯丹尼小姐手里 |
[1:12:37] | Well, good morning, gentlemen. | 说真的,先生们 |
[1:12:39] | You’re a fascinating species. | 你们让我觉得很有趣儿 |
[1:12:40] | Sometime you must take a good look at yourselves…under a microscope. | 有机会你们一定要好好的,欣赏欣赏自己, 用显微镜 |
[1:12:50] | You’ll be paid this afternoon, gentlemen, in full. | 先生们,你们今天下午你们会拿到所有的钱 |
[1:12:53] | There’s no cause for anxiety. | 不必担心 |
[1:13:01] | At the half, sell two thousand. | 10先令卖出2000股 |
[1:13:02] | At the half, sell two thousand. | 10先令卖出2000股 |
[1:13:05] | At three eighths, sell Good Hopes. | 7.5先令卖出好望金矿 |
[1:13:24] | That’s right. Good Hopes down to five shillings. | 好望角金矿降到了5先令, |
[1:13:26] | Good Hopes at the quarter. | 好望角金矿降到了5先令 |
[1:13:35] | Sell. | 卖出 |
[1:13:37] | Sell. | 卖出 |
[1:13:40] | Sell. | 卖出 |
[1:13:42] | No! | 噢,不 |
[1:13:47] | Oh, that’s all right. Captain, I’ll find him myself. | 噢,好的,我自己能找到的 |
[1:13:51] | Oh, there you are. | 噢,你在这儿 |
[1:13:52] | Praise the Lord, You’ve come! | 谢天谢地,你可来了! |
[1:13:52] | Have you found the note? | 找到支票没有? |
[1:13:53] | Those shares of mine, Hastings, I want to sell them. | 黑斯廷斯,我想我把我那份卖掉 |
[1:13:55] | I have to pay some bills. | 我要支付一些账单 |
[1:13:56] | Sell? | 卖了? |
[1:13:58] | Why, nobody would accept those shares as a gift. | 你现在就是把它作为礼物,白送也没有人要它 |
[1:14:01] | You’ve ruined me, my boy. I’m finished. | 你把我毁了,伙计,我完了 |
[1:14:02] | What are you talking about? You told me yourself they were worth twenty thousand pounds. | 你说什么,你曾经告诉我 那些股票值2万英镑 |
[1:14:05] | That was yesterday. | 那是昨天的事 |
[1:14:06] | The note, Henry, where is it? | 亨利,那张支票它在哪儿? |
[1:14:09] | You did have one, didn’t you? | 你确实有,对不对 |
[1:14:11] | Well, of course, I had one. | 噢,当然,我是有 |
[1:14:12] | Isn’t there any sanity left around here? | 难道这儿就没有神志正常的人了吗? |
[1:14:15] | Where does all this”up and down” business go on? | 这些股票交易是在哪儿进行的? |
[1:14:16] | Throgmorton Street–the Stock Exchange. | 思罗格莫顿大街的股票交易所 |
[1:14:18] | That’s where I’m going. | 这就去那儿 |
[1:14:20] | No, Henry, you can’t. You can’t go in there. | 不,亨利,你不能去那儿 |
[1:14:22] | Henry! Henry, | 亨利,亨利 |
[1:14:24] | wait for me! Henry. | 亨利,你等一等 |
[1:14:26] | Henry!Henry, you can’t go in there! Strangers aren’t allowed. | 亨利,亨利,你不能进去的,你不能进去 |
[1:14:28] | If I’m the cause of all the trouble, I’m entitiled to speak for myself. | 如果这一切都因为我我有权为自己辩解 |
[1:14:30] | Henry, they’ll throw you out! | 亨利,他们把你扔出来的! |
[1:14:43] | Gentlemen, I am Henry Adams. | 先生们,我是亨利・亚当斯 |
[1:14:45] | Excuse me, sir, you can’t come in here. | 对不起,先生,你不能闯到这儿来 |
[1:14:47] | I hope you’ll excuse me pushing my way in here like this… | 我希望你们能原谅我的到来 |
[1:14:49] | There’s gold in that mine…there. | 那个荒山有金子 |
[1:14:53] | one… | 一… |
[1:14:54] | two…There’s gold in that mine…there. | 二…那个矿山有金子…有金子 |
[1:14:56] | three… | 三… |
[1:15:06] | They call themselves businessmen! | 他们管自己叫生意人 |
[1:15:07] | I warned you, Henry. It’s tradition. | 这是传统,亨利 |
[1:15:09] | They’d do it to Rockefeller himself. | 他们对洛克菲勒也是这么做的 |
[1:15:25] | What’s going on? What are they all here for? | 怎么了,他们到这儿来干什么? |
[1:15:28] | You, sir. | 找您,先生 |
[1:15:29] | Me? That is ridiculous! | 找我?真可笑 |
[1:15:30] | I don’t owe that much. | 我可没欠那么多人的钱 |
[1:15:33] | What about them? | 他们有什么事儿? |
[1:15:34] | It seems they’ve all come a cropper on Good Hopes, sir. | 看来他们都在好望角金矿上赔了不少钱,先生 |
[1:15:36] | If you hang around up there, sir, | 如果您还在这儿 |
[1:15:38] | then reporters will spot you. | 记者会把您认出来的 |
[1:15:39] | Are they here too? | 他们也在这儿? |
[1:15:40] | Yes, sir. Droves of them. | 是的,先生,来了不少 |
[1:15:42] | Not that way, sir, | 别走那边儿,先生 |
[1:15:43] | round the back | 走后边儿 |
[1:15:49] | Excuse me, sir, would you mind clearing the porch, please? | 请原谅!先生,请不要挡着门廊,好吗? |
[1:15:55] | Mr. Adams, Mr. Adams. | 亚当斯先生,亚当斯先生 |
[1:15:58] | Have you the wherewithal to settle this unfortunate business? | 你有没有足够的资金解决目前的困境 |
[1:16:01] | I’m very sorry, Lloyd, but you’ll have to wait after all. | 很遗憾,劳埃德,恐怕你要耐心地等待了 |
[1:16:03] | Wait? But what are you going to do? The foyer is teaming with your wretched victims. | 等?你到底要干什么? 门厅里挤满了被你欺骗的受害者 |
[1:16:06] | Victims! I don’t even know half of them. | 受害者?他们当中一大半我都不认识 |
[1:16:08] | Tradesmen, shareholders in your fake mine and journalists. | 商人、股民都被你的假金矿欺骗了, 还有记者也来了 |
[1:16:12] | Bumbles will never survive. | 宝博斯饭店完了,全完了 |
[1:16:13] | Shareholders…. | 股民… |
[1:16:14] | Small shareholders, sir. | 小股民,先生 |
[1:16:15] | Shareholders…But they can save themselves, | 股民…他们能够救自己 |
[1:16:17] | you, me and the mine! | 能够救你、救我和金矿 |
[1:16:19] | All I’ve got to do is persuade them to hang on to their shares. | 我所要做的就是说服他们不要抛出股票 |
[1:16:22] | Don’t worry.Lloyd, things may be all right after all. | 别担心,劳埃德,事情会有转机的 |
[1:16:25] | It won’t work, Mr. Adams. | 没有用的,亚当斯先生 |
[1:16:26] | Don’t go. There’ll be a riot. | 你别去,你会引起骚乱的 |
[1:16:28] | Anything might happen…anything. | 什么事都会发生的…任何事! |
[1:16:32] | There he is! That’s him. | 他来了,就是他 |
[1:16:34] | Ladies and gentlemen…. | 女士们,先生们 |
[1:16:43] | Ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们,先生们 |
[1:16:44] | Ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们,先生们 |
[1:16:46] | I…I understand that you’ve all come here to see me… | 我知道你们到这儿来,是来找我的 |
[1:16:50] | and that some of you have invested your money in the Good Hope Gold Mine. | 你们当中的一些人买了好望角金矿股票 |
[1:16:54] | Natuarally, you all want to know if your money is safe. | 很自然,你们都想知道你们的投资是不是安全 |
[1:16:58] | I can sympathise with those feelings. | 我非常能够理解你们的心情 |
[1:17:00] | What about the note? | 那支票到底是怎么回事? |
[1:17:02] | What about the note? | 怎么回事儿? |
[1:17:03] | Are you or are you not a millionaire? | 你到底是不是百万富翁? |
[1:17:06] | Whether I am a millionaire or not is beside the point. | 我是不是百万富翁无关紧要 |
[1:17:08] | A great many people investd in Good Hopes purely on your recomendation. | 很多人都因为你在推荐, 才买了好望金矿的股票 |
[1:17:13] | Please, please, | 请安静,请安静 |
[1:17:14] | ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们,先生们 |
[1:17:16] | if you’ll just listen to me for a minute… | 大家听我说 |
[1:17:17] | you will see that far from there being any need for panic, | 你们根本没有必要惊慌 |
[1:17:18] | you’ve all made what will turn out to be a very sound investment. | 你们会发现你们的投资是非常正确的 |
[1:17:22] | Does that mean, Mr.Adams, you’ve found the note? | 亚当斯先生,你是说你已经找到那张支票了 |
[1:17:35] | What the devil’s going on? | 到底出什么事了? |
[1:17:36] | Fine old hullabaloo, sir. | 出乱子了,先生 |
[1:17:37] | The hunt’s up. Mark you, he’s given them a run for their money. | 都找他算账来了,他使他们的钱不翼而飞 |
[1:17:40] | Don’t talk in riddles, man. | 别打哑谜了,伙计 |
[1:17:41] | Make yourself clear. | 你给我说清楚一点儿 |
[1:17:42] | Henry Adams, sir. Haven’t you read the paper? | 是亨利・亚当斯,先生,你没看报纸吗? |
[1:17:44] | They say he never had the bank note. | 他们说那张支票根本就不存在 |
[1:17:46] | Serve him right! | 是该给他点教训 |
[1:17:47] | Well, sir, if he doesn’t find it, they’ll lynch him. | 找不到支票,他们会杀了他的 |
[1:17:49] | Ah, they wouldn’t do that. Not British. | 不会的,英国绅士不会那么做的 |
[1:17:51] | Let me in. | 让我进去 |
[1:17:52] | Excuse me, sir, if I was you, sir, I’d nip round the back. | 对不起先生,如果我是你,就会绕道从后门走 |
[1:17:55] | I don’t nip. I don’t nip. | 我不走,我不走 |
[1:18:00] | Please. Please.Please, ladies and gentleme. | 安静,安静,请安静,女士们,先生们 |
[1:18:03] | Don’t you see? If you will all use a little common sense | 你们难道不明白,如果你们不抛出股票 |
[1:18:05] | and hold on to your shares for another week, there’s every chance that… | 如果你们在坚持一个星期,肯定就会有机会 |
[1:18:08] | Yes. That’s all very plausible, Mr.Adams. | 是的,听起来是有道理的,亚当斯先生 |
[1:18:10] | But we’re all still in the dark as to whether you are a man of substance… | 但是我们还不知道你是不是真正的百万富翁 |
[1:18:13] | or merely have the gift of the gab. | 还是仅仅在这里夸夸其谈 |
[1:18:16] | But it just isn’t reasonable that you’d rather gamble on my reputation, | 但是你们是很不明智的把赌注压在我的名誉上 |
[1:18:19] | than on a good chance of finding gold. | 而不是寄希望于找到金子 |
[1:18:22] | You’re the gambler, sir. | 你就是个赌徒 |
[1:18:23] | What difference does it make what I am, | 如果能够找到金子的话 |
[1:18:25] | providing that there’s gold in the mine? | 我是什么,又有什么关系呢? |
[1:18:27] | The fellow’s fobbing us off. | 他说这些是搪塞我们 |
[1:18:29] | Oh, please, please,please, Ladies and gentlemen, | 安静,请安静,请安静,女士们,先生们, |
[1:18:31] | Ladies and gentlemen, let’s all face the facts… | 女士们,先生们,让我们面对现实 |
[1:18:34] | like sane, adult, hunman beings. | 像明智的成年人一样 |
[1:18:36] | Let’s listen to the man. | 大家听他说下去 |
[1:18:38] | Thank you, madam. | 谢谢您,夫人 |
[1:18:39] | We’re willing to listen to anybody. | 谁说我们都愿意听 |
[1:18:44] | Sir, Sir. | 先生,先生 |
[1:18:45] | It’s all right, sir. | 没问题了 |
[1:18:46] | What’s all right? | 什么没问题了? |
[1:18:47] | The Bridal Suite. You’re getting it back. | 豪华套房啊,他归您了 |
[1:18:49] | “Change the sheets”, Mr.Lloyd said, | 换床单,劳埃德先生说 |
[1:18:51] | “and dust the room” | 把房间打扫干净 |
[1:18:52] | Look, sir. They’re taking all his clothes. | 你看,先生,他们正在拿走他们的衣服 |
[1:18:56] | Isn’t it a laugh? | 是不是挺可笑? |
[1:18:57] | How dare you, sir. How dare you! | 你们怎么敢这样!你们怎么敢这样! |
[1:18:59] | Dashed impertinence. | 真是太无礼了! |
[1:19:01] | Take them back at once. | 马上把他拿回去 |
[1:19:02] | A lot of shopkeepers taking the law into your own hands. | 你们这些店主竟然敢擅自做主 |
[1:19:04] | Who do you think you are? | 你们以为自己是什么人啊? |
[1:19:08] | Renie, this has gone too far! | 雷尼,有点过火了! |
[1:19:10] | A lark’s one thing, | 玩笑是玩笑 |
[1:19:12] | but when a fellow’s expected to pay his tailor’s bill, | 当一个人被追着要衣服钱的时候 |
[1:19:14] | it’s no joke. | 就该结束了 |
[1:19:16] | Come with me. | 跟我来 |
[1:19:17] | So it seems to me | 在我看来 |
[1:19:19] | that there’s been a great deal of hysteria…over what is, | 这的人神经都有些不正常 |
[1:19:21] | after all, nothing more than a scrap of paper. | 竟然把那张小纸片看得如此重要 |
[1:19:23] | I am willing to stake my reputation. | 我愿意用我的名誉做赌注 |
[1:19:26] | In fact I’ll give you my word of honour… | 实际上我可以用我的人格担保 |
[1:19:28] | that if, in addtition to holding on, | 如果你们能够留住手中的股票 |
[1:19:30] | you buy more shares, | 并且在买进一些 |
[1:19:32] | you’ll all be amply rewarded. | 你们一定会得到丰厚的回报 |
[1:19:34] | That gold mine is genuine. | 那个金矿确实有金子 |
[1:19:35] | That’s right, my boy. What’s more, we can prove it. | 说的对,我的朋友,而且我们能证明有金子 |
[1:19:38] | And here, ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们,先生们 |
[1:19:39] | is the very man who can clear up any lingering doubts you may have about the Good Hope gold shares. | 这位朋友的话完全可以打消 你们对好望角金矿的所有顾虑 |
[1:19:43] | Mr.Lloyd Hastings has such faith in them that… | 劳埃德黑斯廷斯先生对好望金矿有着如此的信心 |
[1:19:55] | They’ll have returned, Mr.Adams, | 亚当斯先生等您把账结清以后 |
[1:19:58] | when you’ve settled the account. | 我们就把他们退回来 |
[1:20:00] | Mr.Adams talks of honour, but he can’t even honour his tailor’s bill. | 亚当先生谈到名誉可是他连做衣服的账 |
[1:20:04] | It’s a case of conspiracy! | 这简直是个阴谋 |
[1:20:05] | Actionable in law! | 我要诉诸于法律 |
[1:20:07] | You’ve taken my all! | 你带走了我的一切 |
[1:20:08] | Avenge…the windows! | 为寡妇们报仇,为寡妇们报仇,为寡妇们… |
[1:20:14] | The widows! The widows! | 为寡妇们报仇,为寡妇们报仇 |
[1:20:27] | No… fighting! No fighting! | 不要动手,不要打架! |
[1:20:29] | No fighting! No fighting, Mr.Adams. I forbid it. | 你们不能打架,不能打架, 亚当斯先生,不能打呀! |
[1:20:55] | The note! | 支票 |
[1:20:59] | The note! The note! | 支票,支票 |
[1:21:05] | The blasted note! | 这张该死的支票! |
[1:21:08] | What was it? | 它在哪? |
[1:21:09] | Under your carpet, | 在你的地毯下面 |
[1:21:10] | on my instructions. | 是我让人干的 |
[1:21:12] | Well! Why on earth would you do a thing like that? | 你为什么要这么做呢? |
[1:21:15] | I don’t like Yankees. | 我不喜欢你们美国人 |
[1:21:16] | I don’t like what you do with your money. | 我不喜欢你有钱的样子 |
[1:21:18] | But the things we do for it are a dashed sight worse. | 这次我实在是干的有点过火了 |
[1:21:21] | You’re entitled to throw down the glove. | 你有权向我挑战 |
[1:21:24] | Well, as I haven’t got a glove, | 既然事情可以挽回 |
[1:21:26] | I’ll have to accept your apology. | 我就接受你的道歉 |
[1:21:27] | You’re a sportman. I’m beginning to like you. | 你是个绅士,我开始喜欢你了 |
[1:21:29] | Show it to them, Henry. | 把支票给他们看,亨利 |
[1:21:31] | Show them the note. | 给他们看支票 |
[1:21:39] | Good heavens!The man’s all right. | 天啊,那家伙没问题! |
[1:21:41] | Bless you,Mr. Adams. Bless you. | 上帝保佑你,亚当斯先生,上帝保佑你 |
[1:21:44] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[1:21:46] | You’ve got half an hour, ladies and gentlemen… | 你们还有半小时时间,女士们,先生们 |
[1:21:49] | in which to buy, buy, buy. | 赶快去,买,买,买 |
[1:22:00] | Make way, please. Make way, please. Excuse me, sir. Do you mind, sir? Excuse me, please. | 请让一下,让一下,请原谅,先生,让一下 |
[1:22:05] | Henry. Oh,Henry. | 亨利,亨利 |
[1:22:28] | The whole thing was a misunderstanding entirely | 这一切都是个误会 |
[1:22:31] | due to the press. | 都怪那些报纸 |
[1:22:32] | Reids are eternally at your service. | 我愿随时为您效劳 |
[1:22:34] | Good. | 好的 |
[1:22:36] | Oh,Mr.Adams, there will be champagne in the Bridal Suite | 亚当斯先生,我们在豪华套房准备了香槟酒 |
[1:22:39] | with the compliments of Bumbles. | 以此表达宝博斯饭店对您的歉意 |
[1:22:41] | Good. | 好的 |
[1:22:44] | Hold it quite still, Mr.Adams. | 就这样,别动,亚当斯先生 |
[1:22:48] | One month to the day. In fact to the very hour. | 到今天正好一个月,而且一分钟也不差 |
[1:22:52] | A little the worse for wear. | 稍微有一点磨损 |
[1:22:54] | But still intact. | 可依然完整无缺 |
[1:22:56] | Congratulations,Mr.Adams. | 祝贺你,亚当斯先生 |
[1:22:57] | Well, now taht i have…er….carried out my side of the bargain | 到目前为止我已经按照你们的意思 |
[1:22:59] | to your satisfaction…what was the bet? | 做了我应该做的一切,你们到底赌什么呢? |
[1:23:04] | Well,you see, I maintained that such is people’s attitude to the symbol of wealth… | 你看,我认为人们对财富的象征的看法是这样的 |
[1:23:09] | that by just having that little scrap of paper in your possession, | 只要您的财产中有那张小纸片 |
[1:23:12] | without ever cashing it, | 用不着把他换成现金 |
[1:23:14] | you could have everything you wanted. | 你就能够拥有一切 |
[1:23:16] | Whereas, I maintainded that as you were denied the right to cash it, | 而我认为您没将支票兑换成现金 |
[1:23:18] | it would be quite useless to you. | 它对您来说毫无用处 |
[1:23:20] | But I only have to look at you, Mr.Adams, | 可我只要看到您所做的一切,亚当斯先生 |
[1:23:21] | to realise I was mistaken. | 使我认识到我错了 |
[1:23:24] | Never have I won a bet more conclusive. | 我还从没有完全打赢过一个赌 |
[1:23:26] | I tell you, Roderick, | 我告诉你,罗德里克 |
[1:23:27] | that note can do anything. | 那张支票是万能的 |
[1:23:28] | It even made him twenty thousand pounds on the Stock Exchange. | 甚至还在股票上为他赚了2万英镑 |
[1:23:31] | May I say somtthing? | 我能说几句吗? |
[1:23:32] | By all means, my dear. | 当然可以 |
[1:23:34] | I agree that the note is extremely powerful | 要知道那张支票的确有很大的魔力 |
[1:23:37] | but it isn’t quite true to say that it can do anything. | 可说它是万能的并不全对 |
[1:23:39] | You see, I love Henry because he is Henry. | 要知道我爱亨利,是因为他是亨利 |
[1:23:44] | The fact is that she left me when she thought I was rich. | 事实上当她知道我是个有钱人时她离开了我 |
[1:23:46] | And came back to me only when she discovered that I was really poor. | 当她知道我真的是个穷人时她回到了我的身边 |
[1:23:49] | If anything, the note came between us. | 那张支票只会让我们两个分开 |
[1:23:52] | Oh. oh, did you hear that, Oliver? | 听见了吗,奥利弗? |
[1:23:54] | Come, come, Mr. Adams. But for the note you’d never have met. | 亚当斯先生,如果没有支票,你们永远不会认识 |
[1:23:57] | How do you know? They might have been fated to meet. | 你怎么知道?也许这是命中注 |
[1:23:59] | We are not discussing what might have been. | 我们不讨论也许会怎样 |
[1:24:00] | We’re concerned only with the facts. | 我们只关心事实 |
[1:24:02] | Precisely, and the note came between them. | 说的对,那张支票使他们分开 |
[1:24:04] | It isn’t all powerful. | 它不是万能的 |
[1:24:05] | As a matter of fact, my dear Oliver, I am not so sure you won the bet. | 实际上,奥利弗,也许这场赌你并没有赢 |
[1:24:07] | You can’t get out of it,Roderick, Mr. Adams returned the note intact | 你不能否认亚当斯先生交回了支票 |
[1:24:10] | and now has everything he wants. | 而他得到了他想要的一切 |
[1:24:12] | The mere fact that they had a lover’s tiff has nothing to do with it. | 至于他们两个小情人之间 偶尔的不愉快与支票无关… |
[1:24:15] | The note almost has wrecked them. | 这张支票几乎拆散了他们 |
[1:24:27] | Coachman. On your way. | 车夫,我们走! |