英文名称:The Cold Blue
年代:2019
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:28] | Okay, we’re here with Bud Haedike | 好了 我们和巴德·海德基都在这里了 |
[00:30] | and we’re rolling. | 我们开拍了 |
[00:33] | This is the song that I wrote for my bomb group | 这是我为我的轰炸小组写的歌 |
[00:36] | and all the guys that made it or didn’t make it. | 写给所有战友 不论他们归来与否 |
[00:40] | It’s to the melody of “I’ll be seeing you.” | 用的是”I’ll be seeing you”的旋律 |
[00:43] | ♪ I’ll be seeing you ♪ | ♪ 我们将会再次见面 ♪ |
[00:47] | ♪ on all the missions that we flew ♪ | ♪ 在我们一同执行的任务中 ♪ |
[00:52] | ♪ and also with your good ole crew ♪ | ♪ 还会和老同事一起 ♪ |
[00:56] | ♪ the whole day through ♪ | ♪ 整天相伴 ♪ |
[00:59] | ♪ enemy fighters and flak ♪ | ♪ 敌人的战斗机和高射炮 ♪ |
[01:02] | ♪ the sound of loud ack, ack ♪ | ♪ 轰鸣作响 ♪ |
[01:06] | ♪ and lucky we got back ♪ | ♪ 但我们幸运而归 ♪ |
[01:09] | ♪ to our ground crew on that day we flew ♪ | ♪ 起飞那天的地勤人员们啊 ♪ |
[01:14] | ♪ I’ll be seeing you ♪ | ♪ 我们将会再次相见 ♪ |
[01:17] | ♪ at good old deopham green ♪ | ♪ 也许是在充满回忆的空军基地中 ♪ |
[01:21] | ♪ in your sleek flying machine ♪ | ♪ 又或是在你精心维护的轰炸机里 ♪ |
[01:25] | ♪ o, the one called mighty queen ♪ | ♪ 叫它胜利女王吧 ♪ |
[01:29] | ♪ I’m going to look for you in skies of blue ♪ | ♪ 我将在蓝天下追寻着你 ♪ |
[01:33] | ♪ and when your flights are through ♪ | ♪ 而当你从我身边飞过时 ♪ |
[01:38] | ♪ I’ll be seeing you in my dreams ♪ | ♪ 我会在梦中与你相遇 ♪ |
[01:42] | ♪ and I’ll be missing you ♪ | ♪ 我会永远思念着你 ♪ |
[01:47] | thank you. | 谢谢 |
[05:12] | Well, I don’t know, the odds were all against ya. | 其实 我也不知道 总归是凶多吉少 |
[05:17] | It was more or less like being in death row, | 就如同死囚 |
[05:21] | in a penitentiary, | 困于牢狱一般 |
[05:23] | waiting on your turn and you knew it was coming. | 知道死期将至却只能坐以待毙 |
[05:29] | You fly a real tough mission, | 你执行完一个十分艰难的任务 |
[05:32] | and you’re so glad to get back, | 很高兴凯旋而归 |
[05:34] | and everybody says, “boy, | 每个人都在庆祝着”嘿 |
[05:36] | we made it through that one, didn’t we?” | 我们回来了 不是吗” |
[05:39] | And, then, next morning they come in, | 然而第二天早上他们又会进来 |
[05:41] | put their flashlight in your face. | 将灯光打在你的脸上 |
[05:44] | “All right, boys, get up, you’re going to be leaving. | “好了伙计们 起床 该走了 |
[05:46] | We’re going to be flying in two hours.” | 我们两小时后就要出勤了” |
[05:50] | Now that’s… that’s tough. | 如今看来 这日子确实很苦 |
[05:59] | I was 21 years old. | 我当时21岁 |
[06:01] | Yeah, and we felt like, uh, we could live forever. | 我们当时都觉得我们能一直活下来 |
[06:08] | Don’t get me wrong, | 但别误会了 |
[06:10] | we still get that tight feeling… | 我们依旧会有那种紧迫感 |
[06:17] | When we would see bursting flak nearby. | 当我们看见附近正在发射的高射炮 |
[06:20] | When we see fighters, | 当我们发现敌机时 |
[06:22] | we still get that feeling, but… | 我们仍然会有那种感觉 但 |
[06:27] | You can’t make a living that way. | 你不可能这样战战兢兢地活着 |
[06:31] | All you could do is make a dying. | 你能做的就是拼死一搏 |
[06:41] | Anybody that says they weren’t afraid | 那些说他们不害怕的人 |
[06:43] | were full of crap | 都是在放屁 |
[06:47] | cause you were always afraid what was going to happen next, | 因为你总会对将要发生的事情感到害怕 |
[06:50] | particularly in flak. | 面对高射炮时 这种感觉极为明显 |
[06:51] | You just… you just waited for something | 你只是莫名期待着 |
[06:54] | to go off around you. | 不会有什么事发生 |
[07:00] | And that’s when the fighters would come up. | 而这往往是敌机出现的时候 |
[07:54] | One of the men in our crew kept saying, | 我们机组中的一个人总是不停地说着 |
[07:55] | “I know I’m not gonna make it,” et cetera, et cetera, | “我知道我多半回不去了”之类的话 |
[07:58] | and you don’t like to hear that. | 而你不愿意听到这些 |
[08:00] | And he was very concerned | 但他的确很担忧 |
[08:02] | because his wife was expecting within a day or two. | 因为他的妻子盼着他一两天后就能回来 |
[08:07] | And the next day, they had him flying, | 第二天 他接到命令去执行任务 |
[08:09] | which they shouldn’t have had, | 其实他们本不该叫上他的 |
[08:12] | and they took so many men | 他们从我们机组 |
[08:14] | from our crew to fly with him, | 叫了许多人和他一起出勤 |
[08:16] | and they never made it back. | 而他们再也没能回来 |
[08:19] | They crashed into the channel. | 他们的战机坠入了海峡 |
[08:21] | And, incidentally, and this isn’t storytelling, but he… | 非常戏剧性的是 他 |
[08:26] | He, uh… | 他 |
[08:34] | He was killed the day his son was born. | 他牺牲的那天他的儿子却刚好出生 |
[10:00] | The war came, and we went and did | 战争来临 我们奔赴战场 |
[10:02] | what they told us to do. | 听从命令 |
[10:03] | That’s the only thing I know. | 那是我唯一的印象 |
[10:07] | The Japanese ruined my youth, | 日本人毁了我的青春 |
[10:10] | because I was 20 years old or 19 years old. | 当时我才19 20岁 |
[10:15] | Everything was wonderful, and the Japanese, | 一切都那么美好 然而 |
[10:18] | in one fell swoop, ended all of that. | 日本人的一次突袭 便将这些通通粉碎 |
[10:22] | And it lasted four years. | 接下来就是4年的战争 |
[10:28] | Well, I can see why they get young fellows to fly to war, | 我知道为什么会让年轻人们投身战争 |
[10:32] | or ground, or submarines, and so forth. | 陆战 潜艇战什么的 |
[10:36] | When you’re younger, you feel you can do anything. | 因为年轻人总觉得自己无所不能 |
[10:40] | I think when you get older, you get smarter. | 但随着年龄的增长 人也变得更加睿智 |
[10:49] | There was a 19-year-old navigator, | 这有一个19岁的领航员 |
[10:51] | Jewish kid, sharp as a tack. | 犹太人 眼睛像钉子一般敏锐 |
[10:54] | And I had some older boys. | 还有一些大一点的同伴们 |
[10:57] | My bombardier was 26 years old. | 我们投弹手当时26岁 |
[11:01] | I was 22, 23. | 而我当时应该22或23左右 |
[11:08] | Oldest man we had in the crew was a Pennsylvania dutchman, | 我们中最大的是来自宾夕法尼亚的荷兰人 |
[11:11] | thirty-two years old. | 三十二岁 |
[11:12] | We called him “pappy.” | 我们叫他”老父亲” |
[11:14] | Thirty-two years old. | 三十二岁了 |
[11:17] | Our navigator was 26, | 我们的领航员26岁 |
[11:19] | and everybody else was anywhere from 22, 23. | 而其他人都差不多是22或23岁 |
[11:26] | I see… I can look back now and see why young people | 回想起来我知道为什么年轻人 |
[11:30] | were in a war, not older people. | 纷纷参战而年长的却没有了 |
[11:33] | Older people got better sense. | 年长的人更加理智 |
[11:44] | Sometimes they say that the older you get, | 人们常说随着年龄的增长 |
[11:46] | the more wiser you get. | 你会变得更加睿智 |
[11:49] | There weren’t too many, I don’t think, younger, | 我觉得应该没有多少人 |
[11:51] | too much younger than me. | 比我还年轻了 |
[11:53] | I flew every one of my missions at 19. | 我从19岁便开始执行任务 |
[11:56] | The old man on our crew was our waist gunner. | 我们机组的膛腰炮手年龄比较大 |
[12:00] | He was 25. | 他当时25岁 |
[12:10] | I’ll tell you, when we got into this thing, | 不得不说 当我们进入机舱时 |
[12:13] | you wanted to fly. | 就想出勤飞行 |
[12:14] | And, you know, you had a great time training, | 你为此那么刻苦地训练 |
[12:17] | all that, but when you get over there | 但当你真的到了那里 |
[12:18] | and had got shot at the first time, | 开了第一枪之后 |
[12:21] | you knew you were in deep doo-doo. | 你才发现其实一切都是那么糟 |
[12:24] | And… and you really took life seriously after that. | 你要真的把生活当回事了 |
[12:35] | They said we was gonna fly 30 missions. | 我们被要求执行30次飞行任务 |
[12:39] | You know, they started out at 25. | 一开始是25个 |
[12:41] | Now they changed it to 30 when we got there. | 而到我们时就改成了30个 |
[12:43] | And then we got 26 missions in, | 我们飞了26个任务后 |
[12:47] | and they give us a week off. | 我们放了一周的假 |
[12:48] | And we come back and they says, | 当我们回来时 他们说 |
[12:51] | “you’re gonna fly 35,” | “你们要飞35个才行” |
[12:53] | and that was kind of a shock. | 这多少让我们有点震惊 |
[13:01] | Well, it seemed like I was flying all the time. | 看起来好像我一直都在执行飞行任务 |
[13:04] | There were 40 bomb groups. | 这里有40个轰炸小组 |
[13:06] | Our bomb group had a lot of people. | 我们组里有很多人 |
[13:08] | I don’t know the logistics of keeping the fuel | 我不了解后勤工作 比如燃料补给 |
[13:11] | and the ammunition, loading the bombs at night, | 和弹药补给 就是晚上装弹 |
[13:15] | getting them ready for the next day. | 为第二天提前做好准备 |
[13:18] | I don’t know how they did it. | 我对这些一窍不通 |
[13:26] | 当你身处这样的处境时 When you’re in a fn 方正兰亭中黑_GBK\position like that, | |
[13:28] | there’s no tomorrow. | 就没有明天可言 |
[13:31] | You do everything that you want to do, | 你会去做任何想做的事 |
[13:34] | that you can do, when you feel like doing it, | 或者能做的事 当你打算去做时 |
[13:38] | and do it then | 就会立刻行动 |
[13:39] | because you may not get the chance to do it again. | 因为你可能没有再来一次的机会 |
[14:51] | Wouldn’t be unusual, they’d wake you up. | 被叫醒是常有的事 |
[14:53] | The first thing you’d do would be go to the, uh, | 起床第一件事 |
[14:57] | the mess hall to eat. | 就是去食堂吃饭 |
[15:01] | The mess hall was all lit up and everybody was laughing | 食堂灯火通明 大家有说有笑 |
[15:03] | and talking, and usually they had | 这时通常有一个叫 |
[15:06] | Berlin Lynn or whatever her name was | 柏林·莉恩亦或是其他名字的一个人 |
[15:08] | on the radio broadcasting. | 通过收音机进行广播 |
[15:11] | We hadn’t been briefed yet. | 我们都还没被告知 |
[15:12] | We didn’t know where we was gonna go, | 我们都不知道自己要去哪儿 |
[15:14] | but this lady in Berlin knew where we were gonna go, | 但这位在柏林的女士却知道 |
[15:17] | and she says, “boys, | 而且还会说”伙计们 |
[15:19] | you’ve got a tough one today. | 你们今天有个艰巨的任务 |
[15:21] | You’re going to so-and-so and so-and-so | 你们会去哪里哪里之类的 |
[15:23] | and we’ll be waiting on ya,” | 而我们等待着你们的凯旋” |
[15:25] | and so they knew more than we did. | 所以她知道的其实比我们知道的还多 |
[15:37] | Now, in the air force, when we went to the kitchen | 当空军时 我们去炊事房 |
[15:40] | for breakfast and we were getting, say, eggs, | 领我们的早餐 比方说领鸡蛋 |
[15:44] | we’d get powdered eggs. | 我们领到的往往是蛋白粉 |
[15:46] | That’s what they had. | 因为只有这个了 |
[15:48] | Once in a while we would get fresh eggs. | 偶尔我们能吃到新鲜的鸡蛋 |
[15:52] | You could get two over easy and this was a treat. | 如果能吃到两个以上 那就很奢侈了 |
[15:57] | But we knew after a while that when you got fresh eggs, | 但我们知道每当吃到新鲜鸡蛋的时候 |
[16:01] | it meant you were gonna have a real tough mission. | 就意味着你将会有个十分艰巨的任务 |
[16:04] | So they gave you fresh eggs. | 正是因此你才会吃到新鲜鸡蛋 |
[16:07] | That’s the story. | 就是这样了 |
[16:10] | We don’t want fresh eggs, | 我们情愿不吃这个鲜鸡蛋 |
[16:12] | but we want fresh eggs. | 即使我们真的很想吃 |
[16:22] | When you’re going to get ready for a flight, | 当你准备出勤飞行时 |
[16:25] | you go into the locker room. | 你便要去更衣室 |
[16:26] | And you wore long Johns. | 戴上飞行帽 |
[16:29] | And then you’d wear the eod suit, put that on. | 然后穿上防爆套服 |
[16:34] | And we had gloves that were attached to those. | 我们还有与之配套的手套 |
[16:36] | You had to get your gloves into those, | 你得把它们戴上 |
[16:38] | they came clear around your ankles too. | 让它们保护好你的踝关节 |
[16:41] | And then you had your flight suits. | 之后再穿上飞行服 |
[16:45] | Those were the things that you just wore. | 这些才只是你穿在身上的 |
[16:54] | And you’d load back on a truck | 你会穿着这些登上载重卡车 |
[16:56] | and they’d take you to the area | 他们会把你送到 |
[16:57] | where the debriefing rooms were. | 训令室所在的地方 |
[17:01] | So all the crews and everything would be sitting there, | 所有人和物资都在那儿 |
[17:04] | waiting, and they had a sheet over the wall. | 静静等着 那里墙上挂着一张白布 |
[17:08] | They’d pull the sheet back | 他们会把它拉上去 |
[17:10] | and say, “our target today is Germany. | 然后说道”今天我们的目标是德国 |
[17:13] | The weather looks pretty good, as near as we can tell.” | 就我们所知 天气看起来还不错” |
[17:24] | One thing always got me about these briefings. | 在传令会中总会有一个人吸引我的注意 |
[17:29] | The catholic chaplain, | 他就是天主教的神父 |
[17:32] | he was back in the corner hearing confessions. | 他站在角落里倾听着告解 |
[17:39] | And giving out communions. | 分发圣餐 |
[17:41] | So he… he knew that he was going someplace | 其实他知道他要去的地方 |
[17:45] | he might not come back from. | 也知道他很可能没法再回来 |
[18:58] | That was one of the most amazing things in a war, | 战争中最特别的一点就是 |
[19:01] | the choreographing of putting 1,100 airplanes together | 将1100架飞机编制在一起 |
[19:05] | in formation to go over. | 编队飞行 |
[19:13] | We’d all line up on the perimeter strip | 我们会在跑道尽头的外围 |
[19:16] | that comes around to the end of the runway. | 排好队 |
[19:20] | And the lead ship would taxi around and line up. | 领航机开始列队滑行 |
[19:24] | And when he fired a flare to take off, | 当发出准备起飞的信号时 |
[19:27] | that lead ship went down the runway. | 领航机就会进入跑道 |
[19:34] | Next man pulled right up behind him. | 下一架是停在他后面的飞机 |
[19:37] | Thirty seconds, he moved. | 30秒后 会开始助跑 |
[19:43] | Thirty seconds, the third man moved. | 再过30秒 第三架也开始助跑 |
[19:46] | Every 30 seconds a plane was going down that runway. | 每30秒便有一架飞机开上跑道 |
[19:49] | That lead plane never got off the ground | 在第二架飞机已经开始助跑后 |
[19:52] | before that second plane was already running. | 第一架飞机才会起飞 |
[20:13] | Well, we just spin out there on the end of the runway | 我们只不过是在跑道的尽头全力旋转 |
[20:16] | and give it a full throttle, | 然后给足油门 |
[20:17] | and you had to have enough speed for it | 而且你得有足够的速度 |
[20:20] | to lift all that load up. | 能带着所有的负重起飞 |
[20:23] | You had a full gas load, | 你的油箱要加满 |
[20:25] | you had all your ammunition for the guns, | 装备好所有的枪械弹药 |
[20:29] | and you had the bomb load. | 填装好所有的炸弹 |
[21:44] | Of course, while you’re up there, | 毫无疑问 上升到高空的时候 |
[21:46] | I could see the sun coming up around earth. | 我能看到太阳从陆地升起 |
[21:49] | And I thought that was the most weird thing, | 我认为那是最奇怪的事 |
[21:51] | to see the sun coming up, and it’s dark on earth, you know. | 看到太阳升起 而大地还笼罩在黑暗中 |
[21:56] | But you realized what was happening to you. | 但你意识到那是正在发生的事 |
[21:58] | And, then, next thing you know, | 然后 没多久你发现 |
[22:00] | was the sun come up, and you see all these airplanes circling, | 太阳升起来了 所有飞机都在盘旋 |
[22:04] | straining, so to speak, to get up to the altitude | 他们装载着沉重的炸弹 |
[22:07] | with a heavy load of bombs. | 努力到达应有的高度 |
[22:25] | You had to form up and you had to circle, | 同时盘旋着进行编队 |
[22:28] | 一直飞行直到与队伍汇合 you was supfn 方正兰亭中黑_GBK\posed to fly till you got formed up | |
[22:31] | with your group. | 并编队完成 |
[22:32] | And then there’d be another bomb group over here. | 然后会有另一组轰炸机在附近编队 |
[22:36] | And, one day, we come within three or four inches | 有次 我们和另一架轰炸机离得很近 |
[22:41] | of whacking up with another bomb group. | 不过一拳之隔 |
[22:54] | Well, on some of them, where the young pilots | 有些战机 是由年轻飞行员 |
[22:56] | had come in as replacements, | 替补上来驾驶的 |
[22:58] | if I was first man to take off, we’d be up in the air, | 领航机要在空中爬升 |
[23:01] | say, 200, 300 feet climbing. | 大概升到60或是90米的样子 |
[23:05] | All of a sudden, “boom.” | 突然间”轰”的一声 |
[23:10] | You see a bright flash, | 你看见一道一闪而过的红光 |
[23:12] | a red flash and stuff coming down. | 和紧接着迅速降落的物体 |
[23:15] | You knew darn well it was a mid-air collision. | 你非常清楚这是次空中相撞 |
[23:18] | And, uh, those were scary times, as far as getting up. | 上升过程中的每分每秒都极具危险性 |
[23:26] | Two b-17s, one came down | 两架轰炸机 一架刚好坠落在 |
[23:29] | right on top of the other. | 另一架的正上方 |
[23:32] | They all went to their death. | 他们都走向了死亡 |
[23:36] | That’s when I started smoking, by the way. | 顺便一提 我就是从那时开始抽烟的 |
[24:06] | 这些人共同训练\h共同飞行和生活 一起积累着不断增加的能让他们回家的任务量 | |
[24:25] | Well, actually, I believe that our officers | 事实上我相信 我们的军官 |
[24:28] | were closer to their crew | 和自己的机组成员之间 |
[24:30] | than they were with other officers. | 要比和其他军官间更亲密 |
[24:36] | As a crew, most crews stuck pretty well together. | 在同一机组 大部分战友都十分团结 |
[24:40] | We did a lot together. | 我们一起做了很多事 |
[24:46] | I don’t think we would have appreciated | 我觉得我们当时不会太欢迎 |
[24:49] | one new man joining us. | 新成员的加入 |
[24:51] | We knew what each man was capable of doing. | 我们清楚彼此的能力 |
[24:55] | Each man did his job good. | 每个人都会做好自己的本职工作 |
[24:57] | And no one complained. | 没有人抱怨 |
[25:03] | We were family in the air. | 我们就是空中的一家人 |
[25:06] | You absolutely had to be, we all had our duties. | 互相信任彼此 每个人都各司其职 |
[25:11] | We just wanted to stay together. | 盼望着能一直在一起 |
[25:14] | And we flew 25 missions as a crew, | 毕竟我们是一起执行了 |
[25:17] | all of us together. | 25次任务的一个机组 |
[25:26] | You’re a family. | 我们就像是一家人 |
[25:27] | Exactly, you have to be. | 确切地说 我们就是一家人 |
[25:29] | However, I can remember one mission | 我记得有次任务 |
[25:32] | when our flight engineer came out smashed. | 我们的随机工程师喝得烂醉 |
[25:36] | And I climbed all over him. | 我爬到他身边 |
[25:38] | I said, “what is wrong with you? | 问他”你是怎么回事” |
[25:40] | We depend on one another.” | “我们是要彼此依靠的” |
[25:46] | There was a lot of spit and Polish by the officers | 军官们往往对军容风纪过分注意 |
[25:49] | and that didn’t happen. | 这在我们那里是不存在的 |
[25:52] | Like you say, we’re a family of brothers. | 如你所说 我们是情同手足的兄弟 |
[25:57] | And we didn’t have time for all that stuff. | 我们没时间管那些琐事 |
[26:02] | But there’s no saluting and… | 我们不需要敬礼致意 |
[26:05] | And “yes, sir,” “no, sir,” all that. | 也不说”是 长官””不 长官”这些客套话 |
[26:10] | Each guy was his own guy. | 每个人都个性鲜明 |
[26:15] | Well, of course, each man would do his job, | 当然 每个人会做好自己的工作 |
[26:20] | and we all knew exactly | 而且我们也都知道 |
[26:22] | who was going to do what, so to speak. | 每个人的行程和安排 |
[26:27] | So I knew I had a good crew. | 所以说我们是一个很棒的团队 |
[26:32] | And, uh, we just got along beautifully. | 我们相处得也很愉快 |
[26:48] | 还配有一个单独的小组负责装卸炸弹和武器 每架B-17通常由4名机械师和1名地勤组长照管 | |
[27:16] | We had a crew chief that took care of that plane | 完成任务回来后 我们的地勤组长 |
[27:18] | after we got it back off a mission. | 负责照顾这架飞机 |
[27:20] | So the three of us walked that plane, | 我们三人围绕着飞机 |
[27:24] | looked at everything on the ground, | 查看所有的部件 |
[27:26] | asked him all the questions we could think of. | 问他我们能想到的所有问题 |
[27:29] | If there was any little thing | 假如有任何小问题 |
[27:31] | that we thought we should pay particular attention to, | 是我们认为应该特别注意的 |
[27:35] | for him to tell us. | 就会让他来告诉我们 |
[27:52] | You never flew the same plane all the time. | 你不会永远只飞同一架飞机 |
[27:54] | It’s just like your car having an ouchy | 这就像你的车出了毛病 |
[27:58] | and you take it in to firestone | 你会把它送到风驰通 |
[28:00] | or somewhere to get fixed. | 或者其他地方修理 |
[28:02] | They’d work overnight, all night long, | 我们的机械师们会整夜工作 |
[28:04] | trying to patch planes. | 努力修补好我们的飞机 |
[28:14] | As soon as you got in, | 你一到达地面 |
[28:16] | they would take care of any damage. | 他们就会开始修复任何损坏 |
[28:19] | They would get in the plane and check the engines out, | 他们会进入飞机 查看引擎 |
[28:21] | start “em up and check ’em out. | 启动引擎并做检查 |
[28:24] | And they would clean up everything. | 他们还会清理干净所有东西 |
[28:33] | Tremendous workers. | 很厉害的机械师们 |
[28:34] | They were… they were so good. | 他们非常优秀 |
[28:36] | We came back in b-17s with two engines, | 我们驾驶着只剩两个引擎的B-17回来 |
[28:39] | with the tail fin shot up and busted away… | 飞机尾翼被射穿到几乎碎裂 |
[28:44] | With all kinds of holes in the plane. | 机身布满各种各样的弹孔 |
[28:47] | And in two days, that plane was flying missions again. | 结果两天后 那架飞机又能执行任务了 |
[29:07] | We had an armorer on our crew, | 我们机组里还有一个装弹手 |
[29:10] | and he’d be there when they were, | 多数情况下 我们会看到他在装弹 |
[29:11] | most cases, not all cases, | 也不总是这样 |
[29:13] | sometimes the plane would be loaded | 有时在我们到达前 |
[29:16] | before we ever got there. | 炸弹就已经装好 |
[29:24] | The armor gunners took care of all of that. | 装弹手负责所有炸弹装卸工作 |
[29:27] | They bring ’em out on big carriers | 他们用大运输车把炸弹运过来 |
[29:29] | and, uh, it was a dangerous job. | 这是项危险的工作 |
[29:47] | We did not load the bombs. | 我们不用装载炸弹 |
[29:49] | No, but we did come out and check. | 但我们要出来检查 |
[30:14] | They were all fused. | 炸弹都装有触发引信 |
[30:16] | And they had fusing wires stuck to the propeller. | 他们会用保险钢绳 一头卡住弹头引信 |
[30:25] | These fusing wires were hooked on the shackles | 另一头则连接到炸弹在弹仓内 |
[30:29] | that the bombs are hung on. | 所挂载的锁扣上 |
[30:31] | And when they left the plane, it would pull the wire out. | 当炸弹被投出时 保险钢绳会被拉开 |
[30:38] | Now the bomb is alive. | 炸弹就被激活了 |
[30:42] | If you’ve seen movies and you hear bombs, | 如果你看过电影里的场景 |
[30:45] | “shhh,” going down, that’s this fuse spinning out. | 炸弹”咻”地下坠 那是引信在旋转而出 |
[30:54] | Now the bomb is live and once it hit, | 现在炸弹是激活状态 一旦接触目标 |
[30:57] | of course, it detonates. | 就会立即起爆 |
[31:02] | We had two missions where I had to go back in the bomb bay | 曾经有两次任务 我不得不回到炸弹仓 |
[31:05] | and put the cotter pins back in | 并把开口销插回去 |
[31:07] | and that is a little hairy. | 这是有点冒险的 |
[31:10] | Why? Cause when you landed, | 因为着陆过程中 |
[31:12] | if you didn’t, the bombs were armed. | 炸弹一直处于蓄势待发的状态 |
[31:15] | And if you had trouble, | 如果你不彻底将它关闭 |
[31:17] | of course, you’d detonate. | 一旦有任何闪失 你就会一命归西 |
[32:48] | Well, we talked about just about everything. | 我们无所不谈 |
[32:51] | Our families, et cetera… | 关于各自的家庭 还有其他的事 |
[32:53] | It didn’t matter what it was. | 无所谓聊的什么 |
[32:56] | We kept pretty much a running conversation between everybody. | 我们彼此间紧密的联系 |
[33:00] | It made the mission go a little easier. | 使任务完成的稍微容易些 |
[33:11] | First thing you did, as soon as we cleared the coast of england, | 一离开英国海岸 每个人做的第一件事 |
[33:14] | everybody would test their guns. | 就是测试他们的机枪 |
[33:37] | Well, of course, I can only speak for myself, | 说说我自己吧 |
[33:40] | but when you’re in hostile territory, | 进入敌方领空的时候 |
[33:44] | and I was in a top turret, | 我在上炮塔处 |
[33:46] | so all of my vision was 360, | 所以我有360度环视视角 |
[33:50] | ninety degrees this way, you know. | 和90度垂直方向的视角 |
[34:02] | Contrails formed at the tail of the ship. | 机翼尾部会形成尾迹云 |
[34:08] | The moisture in the air and the ship flying through it | 飞机从云层穿行而过 |
[34:12] | made the contrails, | 就形成了尾迹云 |
[34:16] | and a lot of times you wouldn’t have them | 大多数时候尾迹云是无法形成的 |
[34:18] | because it depends on the amount of moisture in the air. | 这取决于空气的湿度 |
[35:03] | Couldn’t see a prettier sight than that. | 再没见过比那更美的景象了 |
[35:07] | Kind of spellbound, you know, spellbound. | 会让人着迷 沉醉其中 |
[35:11] | A beautiful sight. | 真是一幅美丽的画卷啊 |
[35:19] | If you was watching on the ground over in Germany, | 假如站在德国的地面向上看 |
[35:22] | they tell me it took about 30 minutes | 大概要花上30分钟 |
[35:24] | for “em all to come over. | 景象才会全部消失 |
[35:28] | They said on a clear day | 如果说是在天气晴朗的时候 |
[35:30] | that the Germans could see us coming 50 miles out, | 德国人能在80千米开外看到尾迹云 |
[35:35] | from the contrails. | 从而发现我们 |
[35:40] | And, unfortunately, when that happened, that wasn’t too good | 可惜 这可不是好事 |
[35:43] | because they were ready for us. | 他们会因此而做好应战准备 |
[36:34] | In 1938, I was down in Chile, | 1938年 我在智利 |
[36:38] | and they flew a goodwill tour down there. | 他们在那里有一场亲善巡回飞行 |
[36:40] | I remember going out with my father | 我记得和父亲一起出去 |
[36:42] | and seeing these big planes. | 看着那些大家伙 |
[36:48] | And I said to my father someday I’m gonna fly in one of those. | 我对父亲说 有一天我也会驾驶一架 |
[36:54] | Little did I know. | 知之甚少啊 |
[37:05] | The b-17 was not only a beautiful ship, | B-17不仅是架漂亮的战机 |
[37:09] | but it flew like a dream. | 驾驶它的感觉更是棒极了 |
[37:10] | It flew like a overgrown Piper cub. | 就像是高配版的派珀小飞机 |
[37:17] | It flew nice and smooth. | 它飞得平稳又流畅 |
[37:19] | Beautiful. | 动作还很优雅 |
[37:20] | Took a lot of punishment. | 尽管它遭受了很多磨难 |
[37:25] | The greatest airplane ever built | 在我看来 它是史上被造出的 |
[37:28] | as far as I’m concerned. | 最伟大的飞机 |
[37:29] | They brought us back 35 times. | 它把我们带回来了35次 |
[37:32] | Sometimes in condition | 有些情况危险到 |
[37:34] | that you would never even think of trying to fly an airplane… | 你想像不到要是驾驶其他飞机 |
[37:40] | Any other airplane. | 你会怎样 |
[37:41] | That plane came back, | 这架飞机能够返航 |
[37:43] | and that plane brought us back. | 这架飞机能把我们都带回来 |
[37:47] | It was a marriage, I’ll tell ya. | 可以说 这就是一种契约 |
[38:02] | A lot of guys had named their own planes, | 很多人都给自己的飞机命名 |
[38:05] | and they had all kinds of kooky names. | 它们有着各种奇怪的名字 |
[38:14] | The original crews had a lot of good painters. | 最初的机组成员里有很多优秀画手 |
[38:17] | And they had a lot of planes that were decorated | 他们给很多飞机画了装饰画 |
[38:21] | and had logos on them and so on. | 把自己的标识等都画在机身上 |
[38:34] | Vargas girls like petty girl… | 例如美丽 性感的 |
[38:36] | Petty girls, vargas girls, sexy girls, | 瓦加斯女郎 |
[38:39] | there weren’t too many serious things. | 这儿并没有太多严肃的话题 |
[38:42] | I think to keep guys loose. | 我想是为了让大伙放松 |
[39:30] | Well, on a warm day it would be 20 below. | 天气好的话 温度会在零下20度 |
[39:35] | It… sometimes it got 60 below. | 有时候会到零下60度 |
[39:38] | And oftentimes, I had to take my oxygen mask | 我得经常摘下氧气面罩 |
[39:41] | and crack the ice out of it, | 敲掉附在上面的冰 |
[39:43] | and check if it would freeze into the tube. | 确保它不会卡在管子里 |
[39:47] | That was one of the worst parts of the mission, | 执行任务时最艰难的部分之一 |
[39:49] | was the, uh, was the cold air. | 就是寒冷 |
[39:52] | The only time you didn’t feel it is when you were | 你只有在抗击敌人或者侦察目标的时候 |
[39:55] | fighting fighters or going over the target. | 才不会感觉到这种寒冷 |
[40:03] | Oh, at 30,000 feet, | 在到达约9144米的高空之后 |
[40:06] | I think the temperature drops | 飞机每爬升300米 |
[40:08] | 2 degrees every 1,000. | 温度就降低两摄氏度 |
[40:13] | It’d be about 40 below at that altitude. | 在那样的海拔下 温度可低至零下四十度 |
[40:18] | In the cockpit, a little bit of heat came off | 在驾驶舱里 三号引擎 |
[40:21] | a number three engine. | 会散发出一点热气 |
[40:24] | It came into the cockpit there where the pilot and I sat, | 热气会进入我和另一名飞行员所在的驾驶舱 |
[40:29] | and it was enough to kind of keep your feet warm | 这点热气足够暖脚 |
[40:33] | and your hands. | 以及暖手 |
[40:42] | Our ball turret gunner had a gun problem. | 我们球形机炮手的机枪出了问题 |
[40:46] | His guns jammed and he took his gloves off to work on it. | 他的炮塔卡住了 他就摘下了手套修理它 |
[40:50] | And both his hands got frostbitten | 结果他的两只手都被冻伤了 |
[40:51] | and he didn’t fly with us for a month | 他一个月都不能和我们一起执行飞行任务 |
[40:54] | till his hands healed up. | 直到他的手痊愈 |
[41:03] | Well, it was so cold on one mission | 有一次执行任务时 实在太冷了 |
[41:06] | our co-pilot suffered an anoxia situation where he passed out | 我们的副驾驶员因缺氧而昏了过去 |
[41:12] | and his hand froze to the plexiglass window. | 他的手冻在树脂玻璃窗上 |
[41:16] | And he had to amputate the fingers of his hand | 他不得不截掉了他的手指 |
[41:19] | because it was so cold that his hand, when he tried | 因为当他企图自救的时候 |
[41:22] | to help himself, froze to the plexiglass window. | 他的手就已经冻在了树脂玻璃窗上 |
[42:26] | Well, the British treated us very nice. | 英国人对我们非常好 |
[42:29] | In some cases, royally. | 有时甚至可以说十分盛情 |
[42:35] | They call it the friendly invasion, | 他们说这是友好的入驻 |
[42:37] | ’cause we flat invaded that country. | 因为他对我们大开门户 |
[42:48] | England’s a small country, and we had it | 英国是一个小国家 |
[42:50] | absolutely covered up with American soldiers. | 我们让这个小国遍布美军 |
[42:57] | And they tolerated us. | 他们却容忍了我们 |
[43:17] | I was single then. | 我那时还单身 |
[43:18] | I could run around, do whatever I wanted. | 我可以到处跑 做我想做的事情 |
[43:21] | But I didn’t feel uncomfortable | 但是我完全没觉得 |
[43:23] | with the British people at all. | 跟英国人相处有什么不舒服 |
[43:26] | Once I got to be able to understand the language, | 尤其是当我理解了他们的语言之后 |
[43:29] | because that english language | 因为那里的英语 |
[43:31] | was a little different than ours. | 跟我们的英语有一点不同 |
[43:36] | Very good people. | 英国人真的很友好 |
[43:37] | As you know, at the beginning of the war, | 你们要知道 在战争最开始 |
[43:41] | they weren’t too enamored by the yanks coming over. | 他们并不怎么喜欢来这边的美国佬 |
[43:45] | They said we were overpaid, | 他们说我们挣得太多 |
[43:48] | oversexed and over here. | 纵欲过度 甚至根本不该出现在这里 |
[43:50] | I remember that. | 我还记得那些话 |
[44:32] | Flak is German 88-millimeter Cannon shells. | 高射炮是德国制造的88毫米的炮弹 |
[44:37] | Flak was responsible for more planes being shot down | 它负责把飞机打下来 |
[44:41] | than enemy fighters. | 而不是去攻击敌军战士 |
[44:43] | And when you see Flak, black puffs of smoke… | 高射炮发射的炮弹爆炸后 |
[44:46] | That’s after the shell, of course, has exploded. | 你会看到阵阵黑烟 |
[44:50] | And it explodes, hypothetically, | 炮弹爆炸后 |
[44:52] | into 200 pieces. | 能炸成200片 |
[44:55] | And it’s powerful. | 威力极大 |
[45:03] | You don’t know where the Flak is coming from. | 你不知道高射炮发出的炮弹会从哪打来 |
[45:05] | You don’t know if the next burst is gonna hit you or not. | 你不知道它下一个打中的是不是你 |
[45:08] | You never know where the next one is gonna be | 你也不知道下一个炮弹会出现在何处 |
[45:11] | in a case like that, and that’s what scares you. | 在那样的情况下 你会很恐惧 |
[45:17] | Well, it just looked like a big thunderstorm, so to speak. | 这看着就像一场大雷雨 |
[45:19] | That’s what it amounted to. | 情况就是这样 |
[45:21] | But you had to keep on flying. | 但是你必须继续飞行 |
[45:29] | God was on your side when you didn’t get hit. | 你没被打中是上帝的庇护 |
[45:33] | The Flak would vary so much. | 高射炮相当灵活 |
[45:35] | The Germans had pretty good radar. | 德国人的雷达非常厉害 |
[45:37] | They could judge your altitude, your speed, | 他们可以判断出你的高度 你飞行的速度 |
[45:41] | and your direction. | 以及你飞行的方向 |
[45:50] | I think the worst that I ever had over a castle, Germany, | 我最糟的一次经历是在德国飞过一座碉堡 |
[45:54] | I’ll never forget that one. | 我永远都忘不了 |
[45:56] | It blew my windshield out, | 炮弹以160英里的时速朝我的脸飞过来 |
[45:58] | and come into my face at 160 miles an hour. | 炸飞了我的挡风玻璃 |
[46:10] | You look at that Flak out there | 你看着炮弹呼啸而过 |
[46:12] | and you swear you’re not gonna get through it. | 认定自己难逃此劫 |
[46:16] | The sky’s almost black with these things | 炮弹爆炸散发的滚滚黑烟 |
[46:18] | busting all over the place. | 几乎把天空都熏成了黑色 |
[46:21] | It’s amazing we did make it through as much as we did. | 神奇的是我们竟然活了下来 |
[46:39] | Well, we had a dog and it looked | 我们那时养了只狗 |
[46:41] | more like a pig than a dog, | 与其说是狗 不如说更像只猪 |
[46:43] | but it was our mascot. | 但是它是我们的吉祥物 |
[46:54] | We had a stove in the middle of the barracks | 我们营房中央有一个炉子 |
[46:57] | and we used to make sandwiches on it and so forth. | 我们经常在上面做三明治之类的东西 |
[47:00] | If the dog was around | 如果狗在附近的话 |
[47:03] | we’d feed him whatever we had left over. | 我们会把我们剩下的食物喂给它吃 |
[47:06] | He hung around the barracks until we got back. | 我们回来之前它会在营房里逛来逛去 |
[47:09] | I don’t know if he had a name or not. | 我们不知道它有没有名字 |
[47:11] | It was a faithful little dog. | 那是一只忠诚的小家伙 |
[47:13] | But had a real wide nose. | 它有一个相当大的鼻子 |
[47:24] | Oh, you get superstitious. | 我变得迷信 |
[47:27] | I remember I had to put on a clean pair of socks | 我记得我被打下来的那一天 |
[47:30] | the day I was shot down. | 我换了一双干净的袜子 |
[47:33] | I’d been wearing the same pair of socks. | 之前我一直穿着同一双袜子 |
[47:37] | Evidently, I think the pup got one of my socks | 显然我认为是小狗叼走了我的一只袜子 |
[47:41] | and was chewing on it and then hid it | 用它来磨牙 还把它藏了起来 |
[47:44] | and I couldn’t find it that morning. | 那个早上我找不到它了 |
[47:46] | I had to put on a clean pair of socks. | 我不得不换了一双干净的袜子 |
[47:49] | That might have been the reason I was shot down. | 我认为换袜子可能就是我被打下来的原因 |
[47:54] | You either believe this or not, | 信不信由你 |
[47:56] | but somewhere’s around the 10th or 12th mission, | 在执行第十或十二个任务的时候 |
[47:59] | I got to a point and I know some of the other fellas | 我和其他伙伴一样 |
[48:02] | reached the same thing, that they were feeling blasé. | 开始得意起来 |
[48:06] | They didn’t get us up to here. | 因为他们过去没打中我们 |
[48:08] | They ain’t gonna get us here on. | 今后也不会打中我们 |
[48:13] | I was somewhat superstitious. | 我是有些迷信 |
[48:16] | I always felt god would bring me home, | 并虔诚地认为 |
[48:18] | and I mean that sincerely. | 终将有一天上帝会带我回家 |
[48:20] | However, I wasn’t sure if it would be in one piece. | 但我不确定我能不能完好无损的回家 |
[48:30] | I flew five days in a row, five missions. | 我连着飞了五天 执行了五个任务 |
[48:34] | And I remember by the fourth or fifth one | 我记得在执行第四个或者第五个任务时 |
[48:36] | you really didn’t care. | 你已经什么也不在乎了 |
[48:38] | You were worn out. | 因为已经精疲力竭了 |
[48:40] | You wanted to get away from it. | 只想逃离这一切 |
[48:42] | I saw a lot of them break under pressure. | 我见过很多人在强压之下崩溃了 |
[48:45] | Come back and told the flight surgeon, | 他们回来告诉军医 |
[48:47] | “ll can’t fly anymore,” and they didn’t. | “我不能再飞了”他们也真的飞不了了 |
[48:51] | Nobody pointed their finger at them and ridiculed them. | 没有人指责他们或者嘲笑他们 |
[48:55] | Nobody. | 没有人 |
[49:37] | Yes, the bomb run. | 是啊 投弹飞行 |
[49:39] | That was the worst, | 那是最糟糕的 |
[49:40] | ’cause you had to keep everything steady. | 因为你必须保证一切平稳进行 |
[49:45] | If you weren’t on a bomb run | 如果你不是在执行投弹任务的话 |
[49:46] | you could slide over | 可以飞到另一边 |
[49:47] | once in a while and they’d think it’d miss ya. | 让他们觉得无法打中你 |
[49:51] | But on a bomb run | 但要是在执行投弹任务的话 |
[49:53] | you just had to sit there and take it. | 你就只能坐以待毙 |
[49:59] | Try to shrivel up, I guess. | 尽量地蜷缩起来 |
[50:05] | Well, the lead ship does it all. | 领航机决定一切 |
[50:07] | You just follow what he does. | 你只要跟着他做就行 |
[50:10] | The lead ship and then the two on each side | 领航机先行 接着是它两侧的飞机 |
[50:13] | and one down here and one up here and around here. | 一架在上方 一架在下方 |
[50:21] | I was flying up right above the leader. | 我在领航机正上面飞行着 |
[50:25] | And when you’re watching him, | 等待着他下一步动作 |
[50:27] | and you see the bomb doors open, | 看见他的炸弹舱门打开了 |
[50:30] | then you open too, | 就跟着打开炸弹舱门 |
[50:31] | and then you wait for him to drop bombs, | 接着你等着他投放炸弹 |
[50:33] | and when he drops bombs, then you drop. | 当他投放后 你也投放 |
[50:47] | We can’t change our altitude, | 我们不能改变我们飞行的高度 |
[50:49] | and we can’t change our direction, | 也不能改变我们飞行的方向 |
[50:51] | and we’re what you call sitting ducks at that moment. | 那个时候我们就是瓮中之鳖 |
[50:58] | It was rough, because any minute | 那是很危险的 因为在任何时候 |
[51:01] | you were going to get hit. | 你都可能被击中 |
[52:24] | The bombs are dropped. | 炸弹被投放下来 |
[52:26] | Bombs away and the first thing you hear is, | 炸弹投放后 你听到的第一句话就是 |
[52:30] | “let’s get the hell out of here.” | “迅速撤离此地” |
[52:34] | Well, we’d make a sharp turn | 之后整个队伍会跟着领航机 |
[52:36] | and the group follows the lead. | 来一个急转弯 |
[52:42] | After a while, fighters tanks started coming in, | 过了一会儿 敌军的坦克就会到达战场 |
[52:45] | and they didn’t miss very often. | 他们几乎百发百中 |
[53:10] | They’d be out 20, 30 miles, | 那些坦克在二三十英里之外 |
[53:13] | and they’d come rush straight at your level. | 直接对着你进行攻击 |
[53:23] | You couldn’t hit anything with those guns I had back there. | 我们的机枪根本打不到他们 |
[53:27] | By the time you saw a guy he was gone. | 那时你眼睁睁的看着飞机飞走 |
[53:30] | I mean, you see one coming, he’s gone. | 你看着他飞过来 接着又飞走了 |
[53:57] | You don’t have much time to shoot at ’em. | 你没什么时间开枪打中他们 |
[54:01] | If you get off a burst or two, you’re lucky. | 要是能打中几发 算是幸运的了 |
[54:04] | They go zoop. | 他们会嗖地一下飞走了 |
[54:25] | He’ll drop off, he’ll fly down, | 他会下降 低飞 |
[54:28] | and then he’ll line up on you. | 接着他会瞄准你 |
[54:30] | And then he’ll peel off. | 然后开火 |
[55:11] | The co-pilot was hit pretty hard when we were shot down, | 我们被打下来时副驾驶员伤得很重 |
[55:15] | a 20 millimeter shell popped | 一个20毫米的炮弹在他正上方爆炸了 |
[55:18] | right above his head and it knocked an eye out. | 并且把他的一只眼睛炸了出来 |
[55:23] | So it was high noon. | 那时正值正午 |
[55:26] | Me109 was back there blasting at us. | Me109战斗机在猛烈地攻击我们 |
[55:29] | And I heard the co-pilot, he said, | 我听见副驾驶员说 |
[55:33] | “Jesus Christ, number 4’s on fire. | “天啊 四号机着火了 |
[55:36] | Get out.” | 跳出去” |
[55:41] | When that thing is spinning and heading down, | 当飞机直转而下的时候 |
[55:44] | you are glued to your seat. | 你就像被黏在了椅子上 |
[55:46] | You couldn’t move if you wanted to. | 无法动弹 |
[55:53] | And you’re lucky if you see two or three guys bail out. | 幸运的话 你会看见两三个人跳伞 |
[56:00] | We would count the chutes and usually, if we start to look | 通常我们会数一下降落伞的数目 |
[56:03] | too long after a ship that was going down, | 如果我们看一架坠落的飞机太长时间 |
[56:05] | the pilot would say, “okay, guys, off.” | 驾驶员就会说”好了 伙计们 走了” |
[56:08] | We didn’t want to spend too much time looking | 我们不能花太长时间 |
[56:10] | at a plane going down when we had, | 去看坠机的过程 |
[56:12] | you know, fighters in the area and so forth. | 你要知道 敌军就在附近 |
[56:23] | The gunners and the others that were watching all the time | 一些目睹了全程的机枪手 |
[56:27] | would tell you, “boy, I don’t think | 会说”伙计 这架飞机我猜 |
[56:29] | anybody got out of that one, nobody got out,” | 不会有人逃出来了 全军覆没了” |
[56:31] | and then sometimes you’d see chutes | 有时候你会看见在飞机爆炸前 |
[56:34] | coming out of them before they blew up or anything. | 一些降落伞从飞机里飘出来 |
[56:40] | And if you didn’t have your chute on, | 如果你没有在三十秒内 |
[56:42] | and get out of there in less than 30 seconds, | 穿好降落伞跳出来 |
[56:46] | you gone. | 你就死定了 |
[56:49] | You’re gone. | 必死无疑 |
[56:52] | And seven out of eleven out of my crew | 我们十一个飞行员之中的七个 |
[56:56] | got out alive. | 活着逃了出来 |
[56:59] | And one of them, when he got on the ground, | 其中有一个 降落在地上的时候 |
[57:01] | they pitchforked him to death. | 他们用叉子把他捅死了 |
[57:06] | How can you kill a human like that? | 简直惨无人道 |
[57:45] | As we approach the field, we set off flares. | 当我们靠近田野时 就放出了火焰弹 |
[57:50] | Red flares means you have wounded aboard. | 红色火焰意味着你在机上受伤 |
[57:53] | Everybody else gets out of the way and the wounded comes in first. | 所有人都得让位 伤员优先 |
[58:47] | To this day, I still see it when I think of it. | 时至今日 我仍旧对此记忆犹新 |
[58:50] | I choke up. | 我哽咽无法呼吸 |
[58:52] | I can’t help it, they were friends of mine. | 我控制不住 他们都是我的朋友 |
[58:53] | They were good friends and it hurt so bad. | 都是我的好朋友 这太令人心痛了 |
[58:57] | Especially, we all felt like what a waste. | 尤其是 我们都觉得损失太多了 |
[59:05] | With the job we had, the chance of dying | 我们做着这样的工作 生存的几率 |
[59:08] | was at least 50 percent. | 至少是50% |
[59:10] | Fifty percent chance of living, fifty percent chance of dying. | 50%的存活率 50%的死亡率 |
[59:18] | You know a guy said, “your name’s on it.” | 有人说 你的名字将被铭记 |
[59:19] | Well, maybe it was. | 是啊 也许会吧 |
[59:22] | But it was scary, | 但这令人提心吊胆 |
[59:24] | and I get very irritated | 而当我听到这些人说 |
[59:26] | when I hear some of these guys say, | “我一点也不害怕” |
[59:28] | “I wasn’t scared one bit.” | 我深感愤怒 |
[59:30] | They’re full of prunes. | 他们大错特错了 |
[59:36] | I was scared every time. | 我没有一次不害怕的 |
[59:46] | I went out to a ship one time | 有一次我到一架飞机边上 |
[59:48] | when they were taking a young fellow off, | 他们那时正把一个伙计从机上抬下来 |
[59:52] | and I thought I could help them. | 于是我想着我可以去帮帮他们 |
[59:56] | The guy they were pulling out of the ship… | 那个被抬出来的伙计 |
[1:00:02] | He was calling for his mother. | 呼唤着他的母亲 |
[1:00:56] | In about late 1944, the allies decided | 1944年末 同盟国决定 |
[1:01:02] | to do away with precision bombing. | 不再进行定点轰炸 |
[1:01:08] | We went to pattern bombing. | 我们转为地毯式轰炸 |
[1:01:12] | Unfortunately, killed a lot of people | 不幸的是 这种战术杀害了很多无辜百姓 |
[1:01:15] | but brought the war to a close about a year sooner. | 但却让战争提前一年结束 |
[1:01:29] | The United States military did not go out | 美军没有派轰炸机 |
[1:01:32] | to carpet bomb civilians or anything. | 去地毯式轰炸平民或其住所 |
[1:01:36] | They went out to bomb factories, | 他们轰炸的是工厂 |
[1:01:38] | rail yards, refineries, | 铁路站场 精炼厂 |
[1:01:40] | and places that had something to do with the war. | 以及一些与战争有关的地方 |
[1:01:43] | I don’t think that I feel bad about that at all. | 我一点也不对这些行为感到愧疚 |
[1:01:46] | 这本就是我们的职责所在 That’s what we were supfn 方正兰亭中黑_GBK\posed to do. | |
[1:01:48] | But toward the end of the war, | 但战争接近尾声 |
[1:01:50] | the Germans would not give up. | 德国人还是不肯罢休 |
[1:02:13] | Never thought a thing about it. | 从没想过要停战 |
[1:02:14] | We didn’t think about people being down there. | 我们也没有考虑过炮弹之下的人们 |
[1:02:18] | That never crossed my mind | 从没想过 |
[1:02:20] | about a human being being down there. | 被袭击的都是些和我们一样的人 |
[1:02:34] | I never gave it a thought. | 我从没想过这些 |
[1:02:35] | They’re just Germans. | 他们只是德国人罢了 |
[1:02:37] | You know, and I never gave it a thought. | 明白吗 我从没想过这些 |
[1:02:50] | For some reason, I didn’t hate them. | 其实出于某些原因 我并不讨厌他们 |
[1:02:53] | If I had a fighter plane come within shooting distance, | 如果我看见一架在射击距离内的战斗机 |
[1:02:58] | my thought was, this kid probably wanted | 我会想 也许这些人 |
[1:03:00] | to live as bad as you did. | 求生的欲望和所有人一样强烈 |
[1:03:04] | I really didn’t have any hate for them. | 我真的不讨厌他们 |
[1:03:07] | I’m just scared of them. | 我只是害怕他们 |
[1:03:12] | Never gave it a thought. | 从没想过这些 |
[1:03:14] | I honestly never gave it a thought. | 真的没有 |
[1:03:16] | I just felt this way. | 我只是这么感觉 |
[1:03:20] | They’re gonna do it to us. | 他们会对我们展开行动 |
[1:03:21] | We better do it to them before they do it to us. | 我们必须先发制人 |
[1:03:24] | And that’s the way I felt and I couldn’t help it. | 这就是我的想法 我忍不住这么想 |
[1:04:06] | Bring any thoughts seeing that? | 看到这些有什么想法 |
[1:04:11] | Oh I, I drifted off into several thoughts. | 我能想到的太多了 |
[1:04:15] | Most of them you know, uh, | 我回顾那些岁月 |
[1:04:19] | were bad thoughts when you look at a mission, | 大多数都是些不好的回忆 |
[1:04:22] | and see what took place on that mission. | 也能想起执行任务后发生的事情 |
[1:04:26] | And your mind drifts back to those times, you know. | 你的思绪迅速地回到那个时候 |
[1:04:45] | We had a lot of mid-air collisions. | 我们当时发生了很多空中相撞的事件 |
[1:04:48] | Some guys would get mixed up, pilots, and they’d start flying | 飞行员们就混在一起 他们朝着 |
[1:04:53] | the wrong direction, so on. | 错误的方向飞行 诸如此类的 |
[1:04:55] | But uh, the scary part of our mission | 但是 我们的任务最可怕的地方在于 |
[1:04:59] | is just getting through all of that. | 你必须要熬过这一切 |
[1:05:04] | Did it get easier or harder as you flew more missions? | 经过这么多任务后 你觉得有什么变化吗 |
[1:05:09] | I just, like I said, I was scared to death. | 老实说 我怕死 |
[1:05:12] | But uh, those were not good days. | 那些都不是什么好过的日子 |
[1:05:27] | There was no radio communication at all. | 我们当时根本没有收音机通讯设备 |
[1:05:30] | We had the intercom going all the time though, | 我们只有用内部通话装置 |
[1:05:33] | checking the men with the oxygen masks on, | 去确认大家都带上了氧气面罩 |
[1:05:37] | make sure their oxygen was flowing right. | 以确保他们的氧气能够正常流通 |
[1:05:41] | Especially the tail gunner, | 特别是尾部机枪手 |
[1:05:43] | he was laying back there by himself so much. | 队列的最后只有他自己 |
[1:05:54] | You get very close to the men and everything, | 在这种情况下 你会和所有人变得很亲近 |
[1:05:58] | and they’re all young kids. | 他们都很年轻 |
[1:06:05] | They’re all dead now, I’m sure. | 我肯定他们现在都已经不在人世了 |
[1:06:19] | When you’re that high up, | 当你在高空上飞行 |
[1:06:20] | everything on the ground looks like a little toy. | 地上的一切看起来都像是小小的玩具 |
[1:06:24] | If you see a truck or something | 卡车之类的东西 |
[1:06:27] | it really looks small. | 看起来真的很小 |
[1:06:31] | It was hard but you had to do it. | 这真的很困难 但你不得不去完成它 |
[1:06:34] | We had to get rid of Hitler and so we did it. | 我们必须要击败希特勒 我们必须这么做 |
[1:06:51] | You guys know that some bombs | 你们知道吗 有些炮弹 |
[1:06:52] | went through the wings of b-17s? | 穿透B-17战机的机翼 |
[1:06:56] | I always wondered, “how in the world?” | 我总是好奇 这是怎么回事 |
[1:06:58] | 被击中的就这样脱离了我们的编队 They were out of fn 方正兰亭中黑_GBK\position in the formation. | |
[1:07:03] | God’s been good to me. | 上帝眷顾我 |
[1:07:07] | First of all, he’s given me 70 years | 他给了我七十多年 |
[1:07:09] | with that lady over there, | 和我心爱的人厮守在一起 |
[1:07:12] | and we have a wonderful family. | 我们有幸福美满的家庭 |
[1:07:19] | We had six kids, | 我们有六个孩子 |
[1:07:20] | and we have 20 grandkids, | 20个孙子 |
[1:07:22] | 22 great grandkids. | 22个曾孙 |
[1:07:24] | So, we’ve been a very blessed family. | 所以我们一家人已是太过幸运 |
[1:07:29] | I didn’t say I want ’em all at the house at once. | 我不是说想立刻和他们团聚 |
[1:07:39] | What do you think about the good war | 你对这场正义之战怎么看 |
[1:07:41] | and you’re the greatest generation? | 怎么看待自己是最伟大的一代 |
[1:07:46] | Well, um, I’m beginning to believe it. | 我开始接受这种说法了 |
[1:07:53] | Does that make sense to ya? | 你可以理解这种说法 |
[1:07:57] | I don’t know, you kinda grew up 10 years | 我不知道 当你投身于这一使命 |
[1:07:59] | when you went into that thing. | 忽然间好像长大了10岁 |
[1:08:03] | And uh, when I came back home | 当我回到家来 |
[1:08:07] | I didn’t feel like the same man anymore. | 我再也不是从前的自己了 |
[1:08:17] | What do you say to people who say, | 当别人对你说”约翰 你是个英雄”时 |
[1:08:19] | “John, you’re a hero, you’re a hero.” | 你会怎么回答 |
[1:08:22] | I say, “okay you’re probably right.” | 我会说”好吧 也许你是对的” |
[1:08:24] | I don’t know what else to say. | 我不知道还能说什么 |
[1:08:27] | I wasn’t one of them hero heroes, | 我不是那些传统意义上英雄 |
[1:08:29] | the guys that finished their tour | 那些人完成了他们的使命 |
[1:08:32] | and signed up for another one. | 然后继续下一趟征途 |
[1:08:33] | I wasn’t them kinda heroes. | 我不是那种英雄 |
[1:08:38] | I want it clearly known, | 我希望人们能清楚地了解这段故事 |
[1:08:40] | I do not profess myself to be a hero. | 我并不宣称自己是什么英雄 |
[1:08:44] | I was the pilot. | 我就是一个飞行员 |
[1:08:46] | The heroes are buried in england, Germany, and France. | 那些被葬在英国 德国和法国的英雄 |
[1:08:50] | The boys that didn’t make it. | 那些最终没能回来的人 |
[1:08:52] | They’re the heroes. | 他们才是英雄 |
[1:08:53] | I was just a normal pilot. | 我只是个普通的飞行员 |
[1:09:15] | This is called “pattern bombing.” | 这叫做”地毯式轰炸” |
[1:09:25] | Well, no offense but you guys aren’t getting any younger. | 没有冒犯之意 但你们已经不再年轻 |
[1:09:27] | Why do you think it’s important | 为什么你认为 |
[1:09:29] | that people know what you guys did? | 让人们了解你们曾做了什么如此重要 |
[1:09:34] | Well, for one thing, | 首先 |
[1:09:35] | we don’t want it to happen again. | 我们不想让历史重演 |
[1:09:37] | In fact or in fancy, | 无论是真的还是虚构 |
[1:09:41] | we just don’t want it to happen again, | 我们都不想让这种事情再次发生在 |
[1:09:43] | for my grandson, my granddaughters and their husbands. | 我孙子 孙女和他们的爱人身上 |
[1:09:51] | I don’t wanna see them have to face what we did. | 我不想看到他们再去经历我们的过去 |
[1:10:42] | I cannot say it much more eloquently. | 我很明确地告诉大家 |
[1:10:45] | It was a hazardous profession. | 这是一份极其危险的工作 |
[1:10:50] | Okay, up at altitude, and of course, | 处在那样一个高度 还有 |
[1:10:53] | bombs away and all, and you got this on. | 被炮弹袭击的可能 你必须要承受这一切 |
[1:10:55] | I think fear more than anything, | 我认为恐惧是最需要解决的问题 |
[1:10:58] | you’d perspire and sweat. | 你会出汗 |
[1:11:01] | And you got this on. | 你得戴上这个 |
[1:11:03] | Ice would form and you’d take a deep breath, | 面罩可能会结冰 你要深吸一口气 |
[1:11:06] | and break the ice out of the oxygen mask, | 然后敲掉氧气面罩上的冰 |
[1:11:09] | and then put it back on. | 再重新戴上 |
[1:11:14] | This is Bud trying to get down on the floor. | 我现在把地上的这个东西拿起来 |
[1:11:18] | This is the Mae west. | 这是救生背心 |
[1:11:20] | Remember I told you about the oxygen? | 还记得我告诉你关于氧气的事吗 |
[1:11:23] | I mean the co2 cylinder? | 我指的是二氧化碳气瓶 |
[1:11:25] | This is it. | 这就是了 |
[1:11:27] | There it is, co2 cylinder. | 就是它 |
[1:11:30] | This was before underarm deodorant, hair spray. | 这发明可是在腋下除臭剂和发胶之前出现 |
[1:11:33] | I think this was the birth of aerosol containers. | 我觉得这是喷雾瓶的前身 |
[1:11:38] | And if guys bailed out, | 还有 如果有飞行员要跳机逃生 |
[1:11:39] | they didn’t want it totally inflated | 他们不想让救生背心在 |
[1:11:42] | couple of hundred feet up because if they hit the water | 几百米的高空之上就膨胀起来 |
[1:11:45] | they could break their backs. | 因为他们要是掉到水里 背就会受伤 |
[1:11:47] | So it wasn’t that easy, I never did it. | 所以这并不容易 我从没这么做过 |
[1:11:49] | This is a throat mic. | 这是喉部话筒 |
[1:11:51] | This is how I talk to Erik. | 我就这么跟艾瑞克说话的 |
[1:11:54] | And this plugged in. | 把这个插上 |
[1:11:56] | And as I showed you on the helmet, | 给你看看我的头盔 |
[1:11:58] | this is how I heard, | 我通过这个听见别人说话 |
[1:12:00] | so we had our communication system. | 这就是我们的通讯系统了 |
[1:12:02] | But, bud, to be clear, this should’ve been returned | 但是 巴德 这些不应该都在 |
[1:12:05] | to the government in 1945. | 1945年就要归还给政府了吗 |
[1:12:09] | Come and get ’em, baby! | 让他们来我这儿拿呀 |
[1:12:12] | Well, this… What we just did with you | 我们刚刚做的事 |
[1:12:13] | might be the credit roll to our movie. | 可能会成为我们影片的片段 |
[1:12:15] | So, you have any messages for people | 所以你有什么想对这部影片 |
[1:12:17] | that have just watched this movie? | 的观众说的吗 |
[1:12:18] | Well, I’m just so glad that people in America | 我非常高兴 美国人民 |
[1:12:22] | or anywhere can get an idea | 还有其他国家的人们能够了解到 |
[1:12:26] | of what 19 and 20 and 21-year-old kids went through. | 这群20左右的青年人都经历了什么 |
[1:12:30] | And as I tell kids when I get done with my talk, | 结束对谈后 我告诉孩子们 |
[1:12:34] | “I’m going to ask you guys a favor now.” | 我要请你们帮我个忙 |
[1:12:36] | “What’s that, bud?” | 他们会说”怎么了 巴德” |
[1:12:38] | When you go home tonight, | 当你今晚回家时 |
[1:12:39] | you say a prayer of thanks to god | 请向上帝祈祷表示感谢 |
[1:12:42] | for those 28,000 guys that gave their lives | 感谢那二万八千位年轻人所作出的牺牲 |
[1:12:46] | so that you got the life you got today. | 是他们让你们能享受到今天的美好生活 |
[1:12:51] | Thank you for your service, bud. | 谢谢你的付出 巴德 |
[1:12:52] | Not at all, not at all. | 不用谢 应该的 |