英文名称:The Aspern Papers
年代:2018
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:08] | Xoendada\h\h\h\hJessica0712\h\h\h\hBaboGra | 翻\h译 |
[00:13] | Ziall\h\h\h\hjakewills | 翻\h译 |
[00:36] | As Juliana Bordereau | 当朱丽安娜·博尔德罗 |
[00:37] | sat there before me, | 坐在我面前时 |
[00:39] | my heart beat as fast as if the miracle of resurrection | 我的心跳得就好像生命复苏一样快 |
[00:41] | had taken place solely for my benefit. | 就好像只为我而发生 |
[00:45] | Her presence seemed somehow to contain his, | 她的存在似乎包含了他的存在 |
[00:48] | and I felt nearer to him at that first moment of seeing her | 初见她之时 我就觉得我离他更近了 |
[00:51] | than I ever had before, | 比我曾今到达的都近 |
[00:53] | or ever have since. | 也比自那以后到达的都近 |
[00:57] | I felt an irresistible desire to hold in my own, | 我有一种不可抗拒的欲望 |
[00:59] | for a moment, | 想握住那只 |
[01:01] | the hand that Jeffrey Aspern had pressed. | 杰弗里·阿斯彭曾经紧握过的手 |
[01:16] | One doesn’t defend one’s god. | 人不能守护自己的神明 |
[01:19] | One’s god is in himself a defence. | 神明本身就是他的防御 |
[01:28] | Today Jeffrey Aspern | 如今杰弗里·阿斯彭 |
[01:30] | shines high in the heaven of our literature | 在文学的殿堂里光芒四射 |
[01:32] | for all the world to see. | 全世界的人都能看到 |
[01:35] | He is a part of the light by which we walk. | 他是我们前行道路上的明灯之一 |
[01:42] | He had been not only one of the most brilliant poets of his day, | 他不仅是他的时代里最有才华的诗人之一 |
[01:46] | but one of the most genial men | 更是最亲切的人之一 |
[01:49] | and one of the handsomest. | 也是最英俊的人之一 |
[01:52] | His early death had been the only dark spot in his life, | 他的早逝是他一生中唯一的暗斑 |
[01:56] | unless the papers in Miss Bordereau’s hands | 除非博尔德罗女士手中的信 |
[01:58] | should perversely bring out others. | 会事与愿违的揭示出其他暗斑 |
[02:07] | By what passions had he been ravaged? | 他被什么样的激情所损害 |
[02:11] | By what sufferings had she been blanched? | 她又遭受了什么痛苦 |
[03:47] | Our house is very far from the centre, | 我们的房子离中心很远 |
[03:51] | but the little canal is comme il faut. | 但这里的小运河是最美的 |
[03:54] | Very respectable. | 真的非常好 |
[03:58] | It’s the sweetest corner of Venice. | 这是威尼斯最美的一角 |
[04:00] | I can imagine nothing more charming. | 我想不出更有魅力的地方了 |
[04:03] | There’s no need to raise your voice. | 你没有必要说话这么大声 |
[04:06] | I can hear you perfectly. | 我完全听得到 |
[04:08] | Please do sit down over there. | 请坐在那里 |
[04:11] | Do tell me what you might expect from me. | 现在告诉我你具体想从我这问些什么 |
[04:14] | Well… | 这个嘛 |
[04:17] | Perhaps the young lady who so kindly received me yesterday | 或许昨天那位热情接待我的女士 |
[04:20] | explained to you about the garden. | 向您说了花园的事 |
[04:23] | Your garden gave me the courage | 你的花园给了我勇气 |
[04:24] | to take a step so unconventional. | 促使我进行这次不同寻常拜访 |
[04:26] | I thought I might find lodgings here. | 我希望能在这里找到住处 |
[04:32] | Mr Edward Sullivan. | 爱德华·沙利文先生 |
[04:33] | To see Miss Bordereau. | 来这里见博尔德罗女士 |
[05:07] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[05:09] | The garden. | 那个花园 |
[05:11] | Is it yours? | 是你的吗 |
[05:13] | The garden? | 花园吗 |
[05:15] | Nothing here is mine. | 这里没有东西是我的 |
[05:17] | But surely the garden must belong to the house? | 但这花园肯定是这房子的吧 |
[05:20] | Yes, but the house doesn’t belong to me. | 是的 但这栋房子并不属于我 |
[05:23] | Then would you tell me to whom I must address myself? | 那你能告诉我应该去拜访谁吗 |
[05:27] | You know… | 是这样的 |
[05:29] | I’m looking for a garden. | 我在找一个花园 |
[05:31] | It’s absurd if you like, for a man, but… | 对于一个男人来说 你可能觉得荒谬 但 |
[05:35] | I can’t live without flowers. | 没有花我活不下去 |
[05:37] | There are none to speak of down there. | 那下面并没有什么花 |
[05:40] | It costs too much to cultivate them. | 培育鲜花需要付出很多 |
[05:42] | One has to have a man. | 必须要有专人照料 |
[05:44] | Why should I not be that man? | 那么为什么不能是我呢 |
[05:47] | You shall have the finest flowers in Venice. | 你可以拥有威尼斯最好的花 |
[05:50] | But I don’t know you. | 可我甚至不认识你 |
[05:52] | Oh, you know me as much as I know you. | 我俩互相了解的程度差不多 |
[05:55] | That is to say much more, as you now know my name. | 甚至你了解的更多 你已经知道了我的名字 |
[06:03] | If you’re so fond of gardens, | 既然你这么喜欢花园 |
[06:05] | why don’t you go to terra firma , | 为什么不找找肥沃的土地 |
[06:08] | where there are so many far better than mine? | 比我这里好得多的地方 |
[06:12] | It’s the combination. | 是因为这里的组合 |
[06:14] | The idea of a garden in the middle of the sea. | 花园座落在海中央的这种感觉 |
[06:16] | It’s not in the middle of the sea! | 可这并不在海中央 |
[06:22] | It’s many years | 我已经很多年 |
[06:24] | since I have been in one of the gondolas. | 都没有坐过贡多拉了 |
[06:29] | Well, let me assure you of the pleasure | 是这样的 请您放心 |
[06:31] | at which I would put mine at your service. | 我真的会全力以赴为您服务的 |
[06:36] | You’re English, are you not? | 你是英国人 是不是 |
[06:38] | If you are, I’m almost a countryman. | 如果是的话 那我差不多算是乡下人了 |
[06:41] | We’re not English. | 我们不是英国人 |
[06:44] | You don’t mean to say you’re an American? | 难道你们是美国人 |
[06:46] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[06:49] | Used to be. | 曾经是吧 |
[06:51] | Used to be? | 曾经吗 |
[06:53] | It’s been so many years… | 已经好多年了 |
[06:55] | We’re… nothing now. | 我们现在 什么都不是 |
[06:58] | I’m not going to take anything from you. | 我不打算夺走你们任何东西 |
[07:01] | I have some writing to do. | 我在写作 |
[07:03] | I would like some quiet over a period, | 我只希望可以有一段安静的时间 |
[07:05] | possibly all winter. | 可能是整个冬天 |
[07:07] | I also need a great deal of open air. | 同时我也需要清新的空气 |
[07:10] | I find a garden is really… | 我发现了这个如此 |
[07:12] | indispensable. | 让人无法忘怀的花园 |
[07:15] | Nothing will change for you all… | 对于你们来说 什么都不会改变 |
[07:17] | except, of course, | 当然 除了 |
[07:19] | the flowers. | 那些花 |
[07:20] | For us all? | 对于我们吗 |
[07:21] | I mean all your family… | 我是说你们整个家庭 |
[07:23] | However many you are. | 不管你们有多少人 |
[07:25] | There’s only one other… | 就还有一个人 |
[07:27] | She’s very old. | 她很老了 |
[07:29] | Only one other, | 只有一个吗 |
[07:31] | in all this place? | 在这么大的房子里 |
[07:33] | Surely then you have space to spare. | 那你肯定有地方可以让我住 |
[07:36] | If you could let me two, three rooms, | 如果能让我租两 三间房间 |
[07:38] | it would greatly assist me. | 那对我是极大的帮助 |
[07:40] | Er… I can’t decide anything. | 我做不了决定 |
[07:43] | You must see my aunt. | 你得见我的姨娘 |
[07:47] | The young lady who received you so kindly, as you say, | 你说的那个热情接待你的女士 |
[07:52] | is my niece. | 是我的侄女 |
[07:53] | Her name is Tina. | 她的名字叫缇娜 |
[07:55] | She will come in, but I wished to see you alone for a moment. | 她过会进来 但我想单独和你聊一会儿 |
[07:59] | I’ll be delighted to see your niece again. | 很高兴能够再次见到您侄女 |
[08:02] | Miss Tina was so very courteous to me. | 缇娜女士很有礼貌 |
[08:05] | She has very good manners. I bred her up myself. | 她礼仪很好 是我把她抚养大的 |
[08:09] | I imagine she must have thought me very odd. | 我想她一定觉得我非常古怪 |
[08:12] | It matters little how odd you are. | 你有多古怪无关紧要 |
[08:15] | I don’t care who you are. | 我不关心你是谁 |
[08:18] | It signifies very little today. | 名字在如今代表不了什么 |
[08:22] | Am I to understand…? | 那我需要知道什么 |
[08:23] | There’s nothing to understand. | 你什么都不用知道 |
[08:26] | Just listen… carefully. | 认真听就好了 |
[08:30] | You may have | 你想要 |
[08:32] | as many rooms as you like… | 多少房间都行 |
[08:35] | if you will pay me a great deal of money. | 前提是你付我足够的钱 |
[08:39] | I will pay with pleasure | 我很乐意付钱 |
[08:41] | and of course in advance | 而且是预付 |
[08:42] | whatever you think it proper to ask of me. | 你认为多少合适都可以 |
[08:45] | Well, then, a thousand francs a month. | 好 那就一个月一千法郎 |
[08:50] | A thousand… | 一千 |
[08:54] | My dear lady, your views perfectly fit my own. | 我亲爱的女士 你我的想想法一致 |
[08:57] | Tomorrow I shall have the pleasure | 明天我就会 |
[08:59] | of putting three months’ rent into your hand. | 把三个月的租金交过来 |
[09:02] | Three thousand… | 三千 |
[09:05] | Three thousand francs? | 三千法郎吗 |
[09:07] | Oh, did you mean francs or dollars? | 你是说法郎还是美元 |
[09:12] | I think francs were what you said. | 你之前说的是法郎 |
[09:14] | Oh… that seems to be very good to me. | 那我觉得真的挺不错 |
[09:17] | What do you know? How do you know? | 你知道什么 你怎么知道 |
[09:20] | You have always been ignorant of these matters, praise God. | 你对这种事情一向不关心 我的天 |
[09:24] | That’s quite true. | 这倒是真的 |
[09:27] | I know nothing about money. | 关于钱我什么都不懂 |
[09:29] | Nothing at all. | 一点也不懂 |
[09:31] | You have your own branches of knowledge, I’m sure. | 我相信你肯定有自己所熟悉的领域 |
[09:34] | Well, she had a very good English education | 其实 她小的时候 |
[09:37] | when she was young. | 受到了很好的英语文学教育 |
[09:39] | But she’s learned nothing since. | 但之后 就没学过别的了 |
[09:41] | That’s because I’ve always been with you. | 那是因为我一直都陪在你身边 |
[09:45] | But for that… | 至于这嘛 |
[09:47] | What time will you come tomorrow with the money? | 你明天什么时候带钱来 |
[09:50] | If it suits you, I’ll come at noon. | 如果您方便的话 我中午来 |
[09:52] | It suits me. | 可以的 |
[09:54] | I will see you at noon, with the money. | 那明天中午见 带上钱 |
[09:57] | I’ll be punctual. | 我会准时的 |
[10:00] | May I shake your hand on our contract? | 我可以就我们的协议与您握个手吗 |
[10:06] | I belong to a time when that was not the custom. | 在我的年代可没有这个习惯 |
[10:13] | And you, miss, | 那你呢 女士 |
[10:15] | will you shake my hand? | 你愿意和我握手吗 |
[10:17] | Surely you accept the custom of our day. | 你肯定能接受现在的习惯吧 |
[10:21] | Will you bring the money in gold? | 你可以把钱兑成黄金带来吗 |
[10:24] | In gold? | 兑成黄金吗 |
[10:26] | Aren’t you a little afraid to keep | 家里放这么多的黄金 |
[10:28] | such a sum in gold in the house? | 您不会害怕吗 |
[10:29] | Of whom should I be afraid if I’m not afraid of you? | 我连你都不怕 我害怕什么 |
[10:33] | Quite. | 可以 |
[10:34] | I’ll bring gold if you prefer. | 如果您愿意 我会带黄金来 |
[10:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[10:38] | I prefer, since I asked. | 我既然问了就说明我愿意 |
[10:43] | This conversation has tired me. I want you to go now. | 交谈让我疲惫 希望你现在可以离开了 |
[11:09] | The strange thing is | 奇怪的事情是 |
[11:11] | I’ve discovered Juliana Bordereau is still alive. | 我发现朱丽安娜·博尔德罗还活着 |
[11:14] | It’s as if I’ve discovered the famous Lady Hamilton is. | 就好像我发现的是著名的汉密尔顿女士 |
[11:17] | And she belongs to a generation just as extinct. | 她属于已经快消亡的一代人 |
[11:21] | Every one of Aspern’s contemporaries has passed. | 每个和阿斯彭同代的人都已经去世 |
[11:24] | I haven been able to look into a single pair of eyes | 我得以望进或许阿斯彭也望过的 |
[11:27] | that his might have looked into. | 那双眼睛里 |
[11:29] | Or transmitted contact from an aged hand that his has touched. | 或是得以接触到他曾经触碰过的那只手 |
[11:33] | In all my years of research, | 在我这么多年的研究中 |
[11:35] | I’ve encountered phantoms, ghosts, | 我遇到过幽灵 鬼魂 |
[11:38] | echoes of echoes, | 无穷无尽的回声 |
[11:40] | when the one source of information | 当这个信息的来源 |
[11:42] | that has lingered on into our time | 徘徊进我们的时代时 |
[11:44] | has been unheeded by me. | 却被我忽视了 |
[11:46] | Why don’t you simply offer them a sum of money? | 你为什么不直接用钱去换 |
[11:48] | In that way you might obtain her letters | 这样就有可能直接得到她的信 |
[11:50] | without so many sleepless nights. | 还不用度过那么多寝食难安的夜晚 |
[11:51] | She would never accept money for anything so valuable. | 她一定不会为了钱出卖这么宝贵的东西 |
[11:56] | The world has recognised Jeffrey Aspern, | 世界已经认可了杰弗里·阿斯彭 |
[12:00] | and I’ve recognised him most. | 而我对他最为敬仰 |
[12:02] | I’ve done more for his memory than anyone else, | 为了纪念他 我所做的比任何人都多 |
[12:05] | and I’ve done it by shinning a light into his life. | 而我是通过照亮他的生活来做的 |
[12:10] | And into yours. | 同时也照亮了你自己 |
[12:15] | “Ere Babylon was dust, | “巴比伦化为尘土以前 |
[12:18] | the Magus Zoroaster, | 琐罗亚斯德法师 |
[12:19] | my dead child, | 我那死去的孩子 |
[12:21] | met his own image walking in the garden. | 在园中散步之时见到自己的影像 |
[12:24] | That apparition, | 那个幻影 |
[12:26] | sole of men, | 普天之下 |
[12:28] | he saw.” | 只他一人看见” |
[12:30] | One of Aspern’s poems? | 是阿斯彭的诗吗 |
[12:33] | Of course. | 当然是 |
[12:34] | You’re too fond of mystery. That’s your great fault. | 你太喜欢谜题了 那是你的缺点 |
[12:38] | But you’ll have to change your name. | 你得换一个名字 |
[12:41] | Juliana lives out of the world as much as it’s possible to live. | 朱莉安娜尽管可能生活在世俗之外 |
[12:46] | Nonetheless, she’s probably heard of Mr Aspern’s editors. | 不过她可能听说过阿斯彭先生的编辑 |
[12:49] | She may know about what you’ve published, | 她可能知道你发表的作品 |
[12:51] | may even have read it. | 甚至可能读过 |
[12:55] | I’ve thought of that. | 我考虑过这点 |
[13:00] | Duplicity is my only course. | 欺骗是我唯一的选择 |
[13:02] | First I have to sit down with her, | 首先我得接近她 |
[13:04] | then tackle the main job. | 然后再着手于我真正要做的 |
[13:08] | Or else seduce the niece. | 要不然就引诱那个侄女 |
[13:23] | Isn’t it charming? It’s grey and pink. | 不迷人吗 是灰色和粉色的 |
[13:26] | It hasn’t got an air so much of | 它并没有过多的衰退 |
[13:28] | decay as of… quiet discouragement. | 到令人灰心的感觉 |
[13:30] | Quite, I’ll say. | 的确 要我说 |
[13:32] | Even though you can pass on foot, | 尽管可以步行通过 |
[13:34] | scarcely anyone thinks of doing so. | 却几乎没有人想到这样做 |
[13:36] | Perhaps the people are afraid of the Misses Bordereau. | 也许人们害怕姓博尔德罗的女士 |
[13:40] | They have the reputation of witches. | 她们女巫的名声在外 |
[13:43] | Wish me luck. | 祝我好运吧 |
[13:52] | I’ve had better fortune than I hoped. | 我的运气比我想象的好 |
[13:54] | Tell me, how did you manage to convince her? | 告诉我 你是如何说服她的 |
[13:57] | Oh, it was the idea of the money that convinced her. | 是钱说服了她 |
[14:03] | That was your only argument? | 这是你唯一的论据吗 |
[14:05] | And that I said that I thought she’d get a good deal. | 我还说我觉得她这笔买卖很划算 |
[14:08] | That I thought you were rich. | 还说我觉得你很富有 |
[14:10] | And what put that idea into your head? | 是什么给了你我很富有的印象 |
[14:13] | I don’t know… The way that you talked. | 我不知道 也许是你说话的方式吧 |
[14:16] | Oh, dear. | 我的天 |
[14:18] | I think I must talk differently. | 我得换个说话方式了 |
[14:20] | I’m afraid my voice has deceived you. | 恐怕我的声音欺骗了你 |
[14:22] | Do you think it’s too much? | 你觉得付的钱太多了吗 |
[14:25] | That depends on the amount of pleasure I get for it. | 那取决于我从中获取了多少快乐 |
[14:29] | Pleasure? | 快乐 |
[14:30] | There is no pleasure in this house. | 这栋房子里就没有快乐可言 |
[14:41] | So, this is where your aunt would like me to be? | 所以这就是你姨娘想让我住的房间 |
[14:45] | She said your rooms ought to be very distinct. | 她说你的房间应该特别一些 |
[14:48] | Apart. You know? | 相对独立 明白吧 |
[14:51] | That would certainly be best. | 这样再好不过了 |
[14:53] | I don’t know if it’ll make any difference to you, | 我不知道这对你会不会有什么影响 |
[14:56] | but the money is for me. | 但钱是给我用的 |
[14:59] | Money? | 什么钱 |
[15:01] | The money you are going to bring. | 你带过来的钱 |
[15:03] | You’ll make me want to stay three years. | 你让我想在这住上三年 |
[15:04] | Well, that would be very good for me. | 好吧 那对我来说实在太好了 |
[15:09] | She wants me to have something. | 她想让我能拥有点东西 |
[15:12] | She fears that she’s going to die. | 她害怕她就要死了 |
[15:14] | Not soon, I hope. | 我希望没那么快 |
[15:16] | Why do you say that? | 为什么这么说 |
[15:18] | Not soon. | 没那么快 |
[15:20] | It’s as if you feared something. | 就好像你在害怕什么 |
[15:22] | No, no, no, no. | 没有 没有 |
[15:25] | I hope she’s not seriously ill. | 我希望她没病得很严重 |
[15:27] | For her sake. | 为她着想 |
[15:29] | And for yours. | 也是为了你着想 |
[15:30] | No. | 不 |
[15:33] | She’s just very tired. That’s all. | 她只是非常累 仅此而已 |
[15:37] | She’s tired of everything. | 她对任何事都感到厌倦 |
[15:39] | She’s lived so many years, she said | 用她的话来说 她已经活了太多年了 |
[15:42] | she’d like to try dying for a change. | 她觉得试试死亡也是种变化 |
[15:44] | All her friends died long ago | 她的朋友们很久之前就都去世了 |
[15:46] | and either they ought to have remained | 要么他们都应该活下来 |
[15:48] | or she ought to have gone with them. | 要么她应该跟他们一起走了 |
[15:50] | That’s what she says. | 这是她的原话 |
[15:54] | But people don’t die | 但是人们不会因为想死 |
[15:55] | when they want, do they? | 就死了 对吗 |
[15:58] | I guess she won’t have much to say | 我猜我待在这的这段时间里 |
[15:59] | to me while I’m here. | 她应该没什么想和我聊的 |
[16:00] | No. | 没有 |
[16:02] | There’s nothing to tell. We live such a quiet life. | 没什么好说的 我们生活得如此宁静 |
[16:07] | I don’t know how the days pass, I… | 我都不知道时间是怎么一天天流逝的 |
[16:11] | You’re very trusting. | 你是个值得信任的人 |
[16:14] | – Trusting? – Mm-hm. | -值得信任 -对 |
[16:18] | I… I suppose that I am a trusting person. | 我想是吧 我是一个值得信赖的人 |
[16:28] | As soon as my rooms had been arranged, | 我的房间一被安排好 |
[16:30] | I surveyed the place, | 我就开始探索这个地方 |
[16:31] | looking for my opportunity. | 寻找机会 |
[16:34] | Yet you can push through a breach | 然而 你可以穿过一个缺口 |
[16:36] | but you can’t batter down a dead wall. | 但你不能推倒一面已经堵死了的墙 |
[16:39] | They were like two hunted creatures | 她们就像两个已然被捕的猎物 |
[16:42] | feigning death. | 佯装死亡 |
[16:46] | I made a point of spending as much time as possible in the garden | 我决定尽可能多得待在花园里 |
[16:50] | to justify the picture I had originally | 为了证明我之前所描述的 |
[16:52] | given of my horticultural passion. | 我对园艺热爱 |
[16:59] | And I not only spent time, but considerable money. | 我不仅是在花时间 还在花费一大笔钱 |
[17:03] | We got a lot of work to do. Come with me. | 我们有很多工作要做 跟我来 |
[17:06] | I had to be consistent. | 我得保持始终如一 |
[17:08] | Keep my promise that I would smother the house with flowers. | 我要信守承诺 让鲜花淹没整个房子 |
[17:12] | I had formed this project | 我用我的方式构筑整个工程 |
[17:14] | that by flowers I would make my way. | 用鲜花来打通我的路 |
[17:24] | I used to watch, | 我习惯于观察 |
[17:26] | as long as I thought decent, | 久到我觉得还算合适 |
[17:28] | the door that led to Miss Bordereau’s part of the house. | 通往博尔德罗女士的那部分房子的这扇门 |
[17:33] | A person observing me might have thought | 看到我的人可能会想 |
[17:35] | I was trying to cast a spell on her door | 我是想在她的房门上施咒语 |
[17:38] | or was attempting some odd experiment in hypnotism. | 或是在进行一些奇怪的催眠实验 |
[17:43] | But I was not rewarded with a glimpse of the tail of her dress. | 但我不满足于只瞥见她的一点点踪迹 |
[17:47] | It was as if she had never peeped out of her apartment. | 就好像她从来没从她的房间一窥外面的世界 |
[18:05] | What store of passionate memories | 过得了这么单调的未来 |
[18:08] | had Juliana laid away for the monotonous future? | 朱莉安娜会有多少激情的回忆 |
[18:13] | “A secret known to none but thee” | “除了你 这个秘密无人知晓 |
[18:16] | and no one else of living things…” | 只有你才知道” |
[18:28] | She was the daughter | 她是一名艺术家 |
[18:30] | of an artist, a painter, a sculptor | 画家 雕刻家的女儿 |
[18:32] | who had left America when the century was fresh. | 于世纪之初离开了美国 |
[18:37] | Upon her arrival in Europe, | 她一到欧洲 |
[18:39] | she surrounded herself with poets and writers. | 身边就围绕着诗人和作家 |
[18:45] | There was an implication | 这意味着 |
[18:47] | that she’d had an adventurous and fascinating character. | 她拥有大胆和迷人的特质 |
[19:32] | I’m so glad you’ve come! | 你来了我很高兴 |
[19:36] | You speak as if you were lost in the woods. | 你说得好像你在森林里迷路了一样 |
[19:39] | How you manage to stay out of this charming place | 当你离这个迷人的地方只有三英尺的时候 |
[19:41] | when you have only three feet to get into it… | 你怎么能忍住不走入其中的 |
[19:44] | It’s more than I’ve been able to discover. | 还有很多我没发现的 |
[19:48] | Tell me. | 告诉我 |
[19:49] | How do you manage without air, | 你们是怎样做到不出去呼呼新鲜空气 |
[19:52] | without movement, | 不出去走走 |
[19:54] | without any sort of contact from outside? | 不和外界有任何联系的呢 |
[19:59] | We go to bed very early. | 我们睡觉特别早 |
[20:03] | Well… earlier than you’d imagine. | 比你想象的还早 |
[20:09] | Do you know… | 你知道吗 |
[20:11] | I’ve never been out here at this time of day. | 我从来没在这个时间来过这 |
[20:14] | Never? | 从来没有 |
[20:16] | In this fragrant place, | 没来过这样芬芳 |
[20:18] | blooming right here under your nose? | 百花繁盛在你鼻尖的地方吗 |
[20:20] | It was never nice till now. | 这里之前没这么漂亮 |
[20:23] | You know, | 其实 |
[20:24] | I must confess… | 我必须承认 |
[20:27] | I’ve wondered why you’ve never given me the slightest sign. | 我好奇你为什么从来没给我一点迹象 |
[20:30] | You’ve never thanked me in any way | 你从来没用任何方式 |
[20:32] | for the flowers I’ve been sending up. | 谢过我为你送去的花 |
[20:34] | I didn’t know they were for me. | 我不知道那是给我的 |
[20:36] | They were for you both. | 是给你们俩的 |
[20:37] | Why should I make a difference? | 不然为什么要做出改变呢 |
[20:44] | Why do you want to know us? | 你为什么想要了解我们 |
[20:48] | Now, that question is your aunt’s. | 这是你姨娘想问的问题 |
[20:50] | It isn’t yours. | 不是你想问的 |
[20:51] | You wouldn’t ask it if you weren’t put up to it. | 如果你可以容忍的话 你是不会问的 |
[20:53] | She didn’t tell me to ask you it. | 她没让我问你这个问题 |
[20:57] | Well… | 那么 |
[21:00] | does your aunt see anything wrong with | 你姨娘觉得像我们这样 |
[21:02] | the idea of two intelligent people, | 住在同一屋檐下的两个聪明人 |
[21:03] | living under the same roof as we do, | 偶尔交换一下意见 聊聊天 |
[21:06] | occasionally exchanging a remark? | 有什么问题吗 |
[21:10] | You know, we share some of the same tastes. | 知道吗 我们有些相同的喜好 |
[21:14] | Like you, I am intensely fond of Venice. | 像你一样 我也很喜欢威尼斯 |
[21:18] | Oh, I’m not in the least bit fond of Venice. | 我一点也不喜欢威尼斯 |
[21:22] | I should like to go far away from it. | 我想离这里远远的 |
[21:25] | You don’t like Venice? | 你不喜欢威尼斯吗 |
[21:27] | And you wish to go far away from it | 你都没过去过圣马可广场 |
[21:29] | when you won’t even go to Piazza San Marco? | 你却想远离这里 |
[21:32] | Has your aunt always held you back so? | 你姨娘老是控制着你吗 |
[21:35] | No. She’s the one that told me to come out today. | 不 今天是她让我出来走走的 |
[21:38] | It was I that didn’t want to come. | 是我自己没想出来 |
[21:40] | I didn’t want to leave her. | 我不想把她抛下 |
[21:42] | Is she unwell? | 她不舒服吗 |
[21:45] | She hasn’t been very well recently. | 她最近就没怎么舒服过 |
[21:48] | Sometimes she’s so motionless that I fear she’s dead. | 有时她一动都不动 我都害怕她死了 |
[21:52] | But she insists on getting up every morning. | 但是她还是坚持每天早上起床 |
[21:55] | She clings to her old habits | 坚持着原来的习惯 |
[21:58] | as if it would keep her steady. | 好像这样就能让她稳定下来 |
[22:00] | She makes a point of sitting in the parlour | 她决定坐在客厅 |
[22:02] | as if she was expecting a visitor. | 就好像她在等客人 |
[22:05] | – She used to receive visitors, then? – Oh, yes. | -那么她原来经常接待客人 是吗 -是的 |
[22:09] | When we first came to Venice we had a brilliant life. | 我们刚到威尼斯时 生活过得非常丰富 |
[22:14] | We visited all the palazzi, the churches, the galleries… | 我们参观了每一个宫殿 教堂 画廊 |
[22:20] | – Who did you know? – Oh, so many. | -你都认识谁 -很多人 |
[22:22] | And nice ones. Um… | 还有很友善的 |
[22:25] | The Cavaliere Bombicci and the Contessa Altemura. | 布碧斯骑士和艾特米拉伯爵 |
[22:30] | We had a very great friendship with her. | 我们关系都很好 |
[22:32] | The Chiltons, the Goldies… Oh, and Mrs Stokes. | 奇尔顿一家 戈尔迪一家 还有斯托克斯夫人 |
[22:36] | Oh, I loved her so much. | 我很喜欢她 |
[22:40] | She’s gone now, | 她已经去世了 |
[22:42] | as are most people from that circle. | 就像圈子里的大部分人一样 |
[22:46] | Mm… it’s getting late now. | 现在有点晚了 |
[22:50] | You really have to go? | 你一定要走吗 |
[22:52] | Yes. I must. | 对 我必须得走了 |
[22:54] | When shall I see you again? | 我什么时候还能再见你 |
[22:56] | I would like to come out tomorrow night but… | 我想明天晚上出来走走 但是 |
[23:00] | Well, I’m so far from doing what I’d like. | 但我已经很久都没有随心所欲了 |
[23:03] | You might do something I like. | 你做的事可能我会喜欢 |
[23:07] | I don’t believe you. | 我不相信你 |
[23:09] | Why? Why don’t you believe me? | 为什么 为什么不相信我 |
[23:12] | I don’t know, I… | 我不知道 我 |
[23:13] | I suppose it’s because I don’t understand you. | 我想是因为我不懂你 |
[23:16] | That is just the sort of occasion to have faith. | 那正是你需要有信心的时候 |
[23:21] | Have faith in me. | 要对我有信心 |
[23:51] | Mother. | 母亲 |
[23:54] | You’ve arrived just in time | 你来得正是时候 |
[23:58] | to meet the most mysterious man I know, Mr Morton Vint. | 来见见我认识的最神秘的男人 莫顿·文特先生 |
[24:01] | Good morning, ladies. | 早上好 女士们 |
[24:03] | Valentina, you look lovely, and Emily, | 瓦伦蒂娜 你看起来真漂亮 而且艾米丽 |
[24:05] | you look like a flower in bloom. | 你看起来就像一朵盛放的花 |
[24:07] | May I tell it to Mother? | 我能告诉母亲吗 |
[24:10] | Well, don’t mind Mr Vint. | 别介意文特先生 |
[24:11] | He’s well practised in keeping secrets. | 保守秘密他最在行 |
[24:13] | – Emily is to be married. – How can this be? | -艾米丽就要结婚了 -怎么可能 |
[24:16] | The last time I saw you, | 上次我见你的时候 |
[24:18] | you were with the nuns. | 你还和修女待在一起 |
[24:19] | I often wonder if the nuns shouldn’t | 我常常在想 修女们是不是该 |
[24:21] | have kept her a few years more. | 多留她几年 |
[24:23] | And who might this man be | 是谁把你 |
[24:25] | that has broken you from the shackles of the convent? | 从修道院的枷锁中解救出来的呢 |
[24:27] | It’s Lord Fullerton. | 是富勒顿大人 |
[24:28] | Mother chose him for me. | 我母亲帮我挑选的 |
[24:30] | It’s just like your mother to have such ideas. | 像是你母亲的主意 |
[24:33] | – Elizabeth. – Adriana. | -伊丽莎白 -阿德瑞娜 |
[24:37] | – You look stunning. – Oh, thank you. | -你看起来真漂亮 -谢谢 |
[24:39] | You two must have many more secrets to exchange. | 你们两个一定有很多小秘密要聊 |
[24:42] | And Morton has some things he’d like to share with me | 而且莫顿也有些事想要跟我说 |
[24:45] | and I can see he’s getting quite impatient to do so. | 我感觉他要等得不耐烦了 |
[24:49] | He’s lodging with the Misses Bordereau. | 他现在寄宿在博尔德罗女士那里 |
[24:52] | I haven’t heard that name for years. | 我好多年都没听过这个名字了 |
[24:54] | How is the niece? How do you like her? | 她侄女怎么样 你喜欢她吗 |
[24:56] | Morton, do tell. | 莫顿 说说 |
[24:58] | What news, if any, of your dear Miss Tina? | 关于亲爱的缇娜女士 你有什么消息吗 |
[25:01] | His interest in some papers has become quite a fixed idea. | 他对那些手稿的兴趣变得越来越固执了 |
[25:04] | What papers of value could they possibly have? | 他们拥有的手稿到底有什么价值 |
[25:07] | That is what I’m trying to find out. | 那正是我想要了解的 |
[25:09] | I mean, these two are from another age. | 我是说 她们两简直生活在不同的年代 |
[25:11] | Yes, their manner has very little to do with ours. | 是的 她们的习惯和我们确实不同 |
[25:14] | So, what more have you learned from her? | 所以 你对她有进一步的了解吗 |
[25:17] | I’ve learned that her mind is essentially vague about… | 我发现她对事件发生的时间和顺序 |
[25:21] | dates and the order in which events occurred. | 是模糊不清的 |
[25:23] | Her story doesn’t quite hang together. | 她的故事根本就连不到一起去 |
[25:26] | I’ve even asked myself | 我甚至问我自己 |
[25:27] | if she’s trying to lay a trap for me. | 她是不是在挖坑等我跳 |
[25:29] | To make you show your hand, you mean? | 你是说 为了让你露出马脚吗 |
[25:31] | Mm-hm. | 对 |
[25:32] | I mean, perhaps she doesn’t even know | 我想 也许她对这些 |
[25:35] | of the existence of these… papers. | 手稿的存在 一无所知 |
[25:39] | I wrote to her. | 我给她写过信 |
[25:41] | You never told me that. | 你可没跟我说过这事 |
[25:43] | Six months before I arrived. | 我到达前六个月的时候 |
[25:44] | Did she answer? | 她回信了吗 |
[25:46] | Yes. | 回了 |
[25:48] | To the second letter. | 回了第二封 |
[25:50] | She answered in six lines. | 只有六行字 |
[25:52] | And what did she say? | 她说了什么 |
[25:54] | Miss Bordereau requested that she had none of Mr Aspern’s papers. | 博尔德罗女士说她连一页阿斯彭先生的手稿都没有 |
[25:59] | And even if she did, she would not | 而且就算她有 她也不会 |
[26:00] | think of showing them to anybody | 在任何场合 |
[26:02] | on any account whatsoever. | 展示给其他人看 |
[26:04] | Maybe after all this | 可能经过了那些事 |
[26:05] | they don’t have any of his things. | 她们没留下他的任何东西 |
[26:08] | If they so flatly deny it, how can you be sure? | 如果她们直接否定的话 你怎么能确定有 |
[26:11] | I am sure. | 我很确定她有 |
[26:13] | On what evidence? | 有什么证据吗 |
[26:14] | Her calling him “Mr Aspern”. | 她叫他 阿斯彭先生 |
[26:16] | I don’t see what that proves. | 我看不出来这能证明什么 |
[26:19] | It proves familiarity, | 这证明他们的熟悉程度 |
[26:20] | and familiarity implies possession of mementos. | 而熟悉就暗示着她会拥有一些纪念品 |
[26:25] | You don’t say “Mr Byron” | 你不会说 “拜伦先生” |
[26:27] | or “Mr Shakespeare”, do you? | 或 “莎士比亚先生” 对吧 |
[26:29] | Would I, any more, | 我会吗 |
[26:31] | if I had a box full of his love letters? | 如果我有一盒子他写的情书的话 |
[26:33] | Yes, if you had been his lover | 会的 如果你是他的情人 |
[26:37] | and someone wanted them. | 并且有人想要得到这些信 |
[26:44] | It was part of my idea | 我脑海中的想法是 |
[26:46] | that there had been another love affair, | 这里另有一段恋爱关系 |
[26:49] | broken by some tragic rupture. | 被不幸打破 |
[27:31] | I thought you wouldn’t come. | 我还以为你不来了 |
[27:33] | I wanted to tell you that… | 我是想告诉你 |
[27:37] | I shall like the flowers better | 我应该更喜欢花一些 |
[27:40] | now that I know they’re also for me. | 因为我认识到它们也是送给我的 |
[27:43] | How could you have doubted it? | 你怎么会有怀疑呢 |
[27:46] | Shall I send up a double lot of them to prove it to you? | 需要我送给双倍的花来向你证明吗 |
[27:49] | Don’t go to the trouble, the idea’s enough. | 不用麻烦了 有这份心就够了 |
[27:57] | Do you study at night? | 你晚上也会做研究吗 |
[27:59] | When you go up to your room, do you read and write? | 当你回到房间 你会读书和写作吗 |
[28:03] | Not at night. The lamplight brings in the insects. | 晚上不 灯光会把虫子引进来 |
[28:09] | But… in winter do you work at night? | 那 冬天的晚上你会吗 |
[28:12] | Yes, I do. | 我会 |
[28:15] | I read a great deal but I usually don’t write. | 我会读很多书 但通常不写 |
[28:19] | Before I go to sleep, I usually read some great poet. | 在临睡前 我经常读大家的作品 |
[28:23] | Nine out of ten times it’s a volume by… | 十之有九的作者会是 |
[28:27] | Jeffrey Aspern. | 杰弗里·阿斯彭 |
[28:30] | Oh… | 是吗 |
[28:32] | We read him. | 我们也读他的书 |
[28:34] | We have read him. | 我们读过他的作品 |
[28:35] | He is my poet of poets. | 他是我最喜欢的诗人 |
[28:38] | I know him almost by heart. | 我对他最熟悉不过了 |
[28:40] | By heart, oh, that’s nothing. | 熟悉 这不算什么 |
[28:43] | My aunt used to know him. | 我姨娘曾经认识他 |
[28:45] | As a visitor? | 是拜访者吗 |
[28:47] | Yes. He used to come here and take her out. | 是的 他曾经来这里然后带她出去 |
[28:52] | But he died a hundred years ago. | 但他一百多年前就去世了 |
[28:54] | That’s nothing, my aunt’s a hundred and fifty. | 这没什么 我姨娘一百五十岁了 |
[28:59] | Why have you not told me this before? | 那你之前为什么没跟我说过呢 |
[29:02] | I should like to speak to her about him. | 我很想和她聊聊他 |
[29:04] | You should have come twenty years ago, then. | 那你应该二十年来这儿 |
[29:07] | She still spoke about him. | 那会她还会讲关于他的事 |
[29:09] | And what did she say? | 那她说过什么 |
[29:12] | She said that… | 她说 |
[29:15] | he liked her immensely. | 他非常喜欢她 |
[29:17] | And she didn’t like him? | 她不喜欢他吗 |
[29:21] | She said he was a god. | 她说他是天神 |
[29:27] | Has she got a portrait of him? | 她有他的画像吗 |
[29:31] | It would be a true find. They are very rare. | 这会是一个大发现 他的画像非常罕见 |
[29:35] | Tell me this, please. | 告诉我吧 拜托了 |
[29:38] | A portrait… | 画像 |
[29:40] | Um… I’ve never seen one. | 我从来没有见过 |
[29:42] | Surely you would know if she had a portrait of the god? | 如果她有天神的画像你肯定知道的 |
[29:45] | I don’t know what she has. | 我不知道她有什么 |
[29:47] | She keeps her things locked up. | 她把自己的东西都收起来了 |
[29:50] | Then she cannot have one. | 那她就不会有了 |
[29:52] | She wouldn’t keep it locked up. | 她不会把画像锁起来的 |
[29:54] | She would hang it in a place of prominence in her parlour. | 她会把画像摆在客厅最显著的地方 |
[29:58] | Any admirer of Aspern would do the same. | 只要是阿斯彭的爱慕者就会这样 |
[30:00] | I would do so myself. | 我也会这样 |
[30:02] | I would be only too glad to work under his gaze. | 如果能他的注视下工作 我就真的太高兴了 |
[30:05] | I would be encouraged by his presence. | 他的存在会给我激励 |
[30:08] | When dejected, I would console myself with his example. | 当我情绪低落时我会用他的例子安慰自己 |
[30:11] | His example? | 他的例子 |
[30:15] | Do you write about him? | 你有写过他吗 |
[30:17] | Do I write? Oh, please. | 我写过吗 拜托 |
[30:19] | Let us not discuss my writing when we talk about Jeffrey Aspern. | 在我们谈论杰弗里·阿斯彭时就不要说我的作品了 |
[30:23] | Do you pry into his life? | 你打探过他的生活吗 |
[30:27] | Now I seem to hear your aunt’s voice again. | 现在我似乎是在听你姨娘说话 |
[30:30] | It’s not like you to use such terms. | 不像是你常用的词 |
[30:33] | Do I pry into his life? | 我有没有打探过他的生活 |
[30:35] | Then all the more the reason that you should answer plainly. | 那你更应该把话说清楚了 |
[30:38] | Tell me. | 告诉我 |
[30:39] | Are you prying into his life? | 你有打探过他的生活吗 |
[30:42] | Yes. | 是的 |
[30:44] | I write about him. | 我写过他 |
[30:46] | I have written about him and I will write about him again. | 我曾经写过并且我也还会写他 |
[30:50] | Please tell me. | 请你告诉我吧 |
[30:52] | Does your aunt have any poems, | 你姨娘有没有保留他的任何诗 |
[30:54] | letters, papers, unpublished documents, anything… | 信件 文稿 未公开的作品吗 |
[30:57] | belonging to Jeffrey Aspern? | 任何属于杰弗里·阿斯彭的东西 |
[31:08] | Do you find him handsome? | 你觉得他英俊吗 |
[31:10] | I don’t know. He seems strange. | 我说不清楚 他似乎很奇怪 |
[31:16] | I know who I would rather have as my husband. | 我知道要是选丈夫谁更合适 |
[31:18] | You like him that much? | 你就那么喜欢他吗 |
[31:22] | What might you ladies be laughing about? | 说什么让你们这么开心呢 姑娘们 |
[31:23] | Would you mind sharing it with us? | 可以和我们分享一下吗 |
[31:28] | Morton, whatever is happening? You look like a mad man. | 莫顿怎么了 你像个疯子一样 |
[31:34] | Five days I’ve been sitting in that garden waiting for her. | 我在花园里等了她五天 |
[31:38] | Sending flowers up by the bushel. And nothing. | 花都送了快一筐了 没有任何回应 |
[31:40] | What am I to do? I can’t exactly break into her room. | 我应该怎么做 我又不能直接破门而入 |
[31:44] | You might have to come up with something new, | 那么 你得再想点新办法 |
[31:48] | then, to trigger a reaction. | 引发出她们的反应 |
[31:49] | And what would make you react? As a woman. | 作为女人你会怎么做 |
[31:53] | As a woman? | 作为女人 |
[31:57] | I don’t think Miss Tina is quite a woman, | 我不认为缇娜女士能算得上女人 |
[32:00] | but Miss Bordereau definitely is. | 但博尔德罗女士肯定是 |
[32:03] | Ladies, what would you say? | 姑娘们 你们怎么看 |
[32:05] | You send her flowers every day? | 你每天都给她送花吗 |
[32:07] | I would like that very much. | 那我是很喜欢的 |
[32:08] | I do so love flowers. | 我确实喜欢花 |
[32:12] | Tell the gardener to stop the flowers. | 和园丁说停止送花 |
[32:40] | I sent for you because my aunt would like to see you. | 我被派来找你 我姨娘想见你 |
[32:44] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[32:46] | And what’s made her change her mind so suddenly? | 是什么让她突然改变主意的呢 |
[32:51] | Perhaps because she’s so old. | 或许因为她年岁太高 |
[32:55] | People often become capricious when they get so old. | 人年龄大了以后总会变化无常 |
[32:58] | This is certainly true. However… | 确实是这样 但是 |
[33:03] | have you repeated to her what I told you the other night? | 你跟她转述了我之前跟你说过的话吗 |
[33:05] | If I had told her what you said, | 若我真的跟她说了 |
[33:09] | do you think that she’d want to see you? | 你觉得她还愿意见到你吗 |
[33:26] | Miss Bordereau, | 博尔德罗女士 |
[33:28] | it’s a great pleasure for me to see you again at last. | 很高兴终于能再次见到你 |
[33:31] | I trust you are in good health, despite the hot weather. | 我觉得你的身体状况很好 尽管天气炎热 |
[33:34] | I’m always cold. The hot weather makes no difference. | 我总觉得冷 热天也没有不一样 |
[33:39] | But my health is good enough, good enough… | 但身体是还不错 还不错 |
[33:43] | It’s a great thing to be alive. | 能活着真的是太好了 |
[33:45] | It depends on what you compare it with. | 这取决于拿什么做比较 |
[33:47] | I don’t compare. | 我不做比较 |
[33:49] | If I did that I should have given up living long ago. | 若我这样做 很早之前我就放弃生命了 |
[33:59] | About the flowers. | 关于花 |
[34:02] | I ought to have thanked you before. | 我之前应该感谢你的 |
[34:06] | But… | 但是 |
[34:09] | I don’t write letters. | 我不写信 |
[34:11] | I’m delighted you enjoyed them. | 我很高兴你能喜欢 |
[34:13] | I shall send some more this evening. | 今晚我会再送一些过来 |
[34:15] | What else should you do with them? | 你还能怎么处理它们 |
[34:17] | Hm? | 是吧 |
[34:19] | It’s not a manly taste to make a bower of your room. | 又不是男人气的品味造就了屋子的风格 |
[34:24] | Why don’t you come into the garden yourself? | 为什么你不亲自来花园挑选呢 |
[34:26] | You can pick what flowers you like. | 你可以选出你喜欢的花 |
[34:28] | Wouldn’t it do you good to sit in the shade, in the sweet air? | 坐在阴凉处闻着这甜美的空气 难道不好吗 |
[34:40] | Oh, my dear sir… | 我亲爱的先生 |
[34:44] | If I move from this, it won’t be to sit outside, | 如果我能离开 就不会只坐在外面 |
[34:49] | and then the air that may be stirring around me | 我周围被搅动了的空气 |
[34:52] | won’t be particularly sweet. | 也不会特别甜美 |
[34:58] | It will be a very dark shade indeed. | 实际上会是非常深浓的阴影 |
[35:03] | I’m not afraid of what lies ahead. | 我不害怕我要面对的 |
[35:06] | But it will not be soon, I suppose. | 但我觉得 还不会太快 |
[35:15] | Why don’t you make her go out? | 你为什么不让她出去走走呢 |
[35:17] | Aunt, please. | 姨娘 别这样 |
[35:20] | Do you pity her? | 你同情她吗 |
[35:23] | Do you teach her to pity herself? | 你有教她同情自己吗 |
[35:27] | She has a much easier life than I did when I was her age. | 她的生活比我在她这个年龄时可单调多了 |
[35:31] | Miss Bordereau. | 博尔德罗女士 |
[35:33] | What you say seems to me perhaps… | 你所说的就我来看可能 |
[35:36] | a little unkind. | 有些刻薄 |
[35:38] | Unkind? | 刻薄吗 |
[35:40] | Perhaps you mean “inhuman”? | 或许你是说”无情” |
[35:43] | That’s what the poets used to call women a hundred years ago. | 一百多年前的诗人就是这么说女性的 |
[35:48] | “Inhuman”. | “无情” |
[35:51] | Don’t try to imitate them. | 不要试图模仿他们 |
[35:54] | You could never do as well. | 你永远也做不到 |
[35:59] | There is no more poetry in the world. | 世界上已经没有诗了 |
[36:03] | At least not around me. | 至少在我周围没有 |
[36:07] | But I won’t bandy words with you. | 但我不会和你争吵的 |
[36:09] | Well, then. | 那好吧 |
[36:11] | I won’t impose any longer upon your kindness. | 我不会再强求你的好意了 |
[36:14] | Kindness? I don’t have to be kind to you. | 好意 我就没对你友好过 |
[36:16] | I don’t have to be kind to anyone any more. | 我也不用对任何人友好 |
[36:20] | Thank God. | 谢天谢地 |
[36:22] | Sit. | 坐吧 |
[36:26] | Why don’t you make that girl go out and see the place? | 你怎么就不带这姑娘出去逛逛呢 |
[36:29] | Dear Aunt, what do you want to do with me? | 亲爱的姨娘 你到底想要我做什么呢 |
[36:32] | I… I know the place. | 我 这地方我都去过 |
[36:34] | He can show you the famous sunsets, if they go on. | 他可以带你去看日落 如果还有的话 |
[36:39] | Do they still go on? | 还有吗 |
[36:43] | Take her to San Giovanni Evangelista. | 带她去圣乔凡尼福音大学校 |
[36:47] | Take her to the Piazza. It was so pleasant in my time. | 带她去广场 在我那个时候真是很好看的 |
[36:52] | Let her listen to the music, let her look at the shops. | 带她去听听音乐 带她去逛街 |
[36:59] | She can have some money. | 她可以随身带些钱 |
[37:01] | She may buy… | 她可以买 |
[37:04] | something she likes. | 她喜欢的东西 |
[37:14] | I would be honoured to accompany Miss Tina. | 能陪缇娜女士是我的荣幸 |
[37:18] | And if she’d rather go alone, | 若她更喜欢独自一人 |
[37:20] | my gondolier is entirely at her service. | 我的船夫会为她服务 |
[37:24] | Shall I have the pleasure of seeing you again soon? | 我还有机会再和你见面吗 |
[37:26] | Is it very necessary to your happiness? | 这对你的幸福很重要吗 |
[37:30] | It diverts me more than I can say. | 其中的欢愉我无法用言语形容 |
[37:33] | You’re full of flattery. | 你说的全是恭维话 |
[37:36] | Don’t you know this talk almost kills me? | 你难道不知道这种话差点杀了我吗 |
[37:39] | Now, how can that be | 那怎么会呢 |
[37:41] | when you are more animated, | 当你比起我第一次来见你时 |
[37:44] | more brilliant | 更加生动 |
[37:46] | than when I first came in? | 更加光彩夺目 |
[37:47] | It’s quite true, Aunt. | 确实是的 姨娘 |
[37:49] | I… I think it does you good. | 我 我觉得这对你有好处 |
[37:51] | Isn’t it touching, | 这难道不感人吗 |
[37:53] | the solicitude we each have that the other may enjoy herself? | 我们牵挂彼此 而对方享受其中 |
[37:58] | If you think me brilliant today, | 若你今天觉得我光彩夺目 |
[38:00] | then you have never met an agreeable woman. | 那是你没有见过容易相处的女人 |
[38:05] | Don’t try to pay me any compliments. | 别想再奉承我 |
[38:08] | I have been spoiled in this respect. | 我在这方面被宠坏了 |
[38:38] | – Are you all right? – Yes. | -你还好吧 -还好 |
[38:48] | It was a splendid afternoon. | 多么明媚的下午 |
[38:50] | I saw that she enjoyed it even more than she showed. | 我看得出她比表现出来的要更加欣喜 |
[38:53] | She was agitated with the multitude of her impressions. | 她为所看到多重景象而激动 |
[38:57] | It was so… | 这太 |
[38:59] | She had forgotten what an attractive thing the world is. | 她忘记了这是一个迷人的世界 |
[39:01] | I did think that… | 我想 |
[39:03] | And it was coming over her that somehow she had, | 她开始意识到 |
[39:05] | for the best years of her life, | 她生命中最好的年华 |
[39:08] | been cheated of it. | 都被骗走了 |
[39:11] | This did not make her angry, | 这没有让她恼火 |
[39:13] | but her face had, in spite of its smile of appreciation, | 但她的表情 尽管面带感激的笑容 |
[39:17] | the flush of a sort of wounded surprise. | 还是有一点受伤的吃惊而微微泛红 |
[39:23] | As if she were thinking with a secret sadness | 仿佛她带着秘密的悲伤在想着 |
[39:26] | of opportunities, forever lost. | 机会 永远都失去的机会 |
[39:29] | I’ve found out what’s the matter with my aunt. | 我知道我姨娘怎么了 |
[39:33] | She’s afraid that you’ll go. | 她是怕你走 |
[39:37] | I suppose you mean because of the rent. | 我猜你意思是考虑到房租 |
[39:39] | Oh, yes, it is shameful but she wants me to have more. | 是的 挺不好意思的但她希望我能拥有更多 |
[39:43] | How much does she want you to have? | 她想让你有多少才够呢 |
[39:46] | She ought to fix the sum. Then I could stay till it’s all gone. | 她应该确定个数 那样我就能待到最后 |
[39:49] | No, that wouldn’t please me, you going to all that trouble. | 不 这不会让我开心的 这么麻烦你 |
[39:57] | The other day… | 前几天 |
[39:59] | I seemed to understand you might help me with my search. | 我感觉你看起来像是要帮我做研究 |
[40:02] | Was I wrong? | 我错了吗 |
[40:04] | I… I couldn’t do that without being false to my aunt. | 我 我不能背着我姨娘这么做 |
[40:10] | She’d never consent to what you want. | 她从来都没有对你所想有赞同 |
[40:13] | She’d been asked before. | 她之前被别人问过 |
[40:17] | So she does have documents… papers of value. | 所以她确实有文件 有价值的文稿 |
[40:23] | She has everything. | 她什么都有 |
[40:27] | She has everything. | 她什么都有 |
[40:33] | There clung to her name some scent of a reckless passion, | 她的名字让人嗅到一种鲁莽激情的味道 |
[40:38] | an intimation that, for some people, | 对一些人来说 就是暗示 |
[40:40] | Juliana hadn’t always acted respectably. | 朱莉安娜的举止不总是令人尊重的 |
[42:01] | You play beautifully. | 你弹得很动听 |
[42:05] | I haven’t practised in ages. | 我已经很久没练习过了 |
[42:07] | You should resume. | 你应该继续弹下去 |
[42:10] | It’s the only piece I know. | 这是我唯一知道的片段 |
[42:13] | It’s my aunt’s favourite one, | 这是我姨妈最喜欢的一首 |
[42:15] | though I’ve never played it well enough for her. | 尽管我弹得对她来说从来都不够好 |
[42:23] | I want to thank you. For today. | 今天的事 我想要谢谢你 |
[42:28] | It was my pleasure. | 这是我的荣幸 |
[42:31] | And for my aunt as well, though she’ll never say it. | 还替我姨妈谢谢你 尽管她从没说出口 |
[42:35] | She doesn’t often reveal her true thoughts. | 她不会经常透漏自己的真实想法 |
[42:40] | What has made her this way? | 是什么让她变成这样的呢 |
[42:43] | I don’t know, it was on account of something… | 我不知道 是因为什么东西吧 |
[42:47] | years ago, before I was born. | 很多年前 在我出生之前 |
[42:52] | Something? What kind of something? | 什么东西 那是什么样的呢 |
[42:57] | She never told me. | 她从未跟我说过 |
[43:00] | Do you suppose it’s something to which | 你觉得是阿斯彭在信中 |
[43:01] | Aspern references in his letters? | 提过的什么东西吗 |
[43:04] | I’ve never read them. | 我从来没读过 |
[43:06] | But I did see them once when she had them out. | 但有一次当她拿出来时 我确实见到过 |
[43:10] | Are they letters? Are they poems? | 是信吗 还是诗 |
[43:14] | Does she look at them often? | 她经常看吗 |
[43:16] | She used to. She’s very fond of them. | 她以前经常看 她很喜欢 |
[43:21] | Even though they may be compromising? | 尽管可能是不宜泄漏的内容吗 |
[43:23] | Compromising? | 不宜泄漏 |
[43:25] | Well, they may contain some painful memories. | 文稿里可能有一些痛苦的回忆 |
[43:30] | I don’t think that they’re painful in that way. | 我不认为有那么令人痛苦 |
[43:34] | You don’t think they may affect her reputation? | 你不认为也许会影响她的声誉吗 |
[43:37] | Do you think that she did something bad? | 你觉得她做了什么不好的事吗 |
[43:39] | Well, things were different then. | 好吧 当时情况不一样 |
[43:43] | The morals of our day may judge her badly. | 我们现在的道德观可能会对她评价很差 |
[43:47] | If they were compromising, why would she keep the papers? | 如果有失体面 那她为何要保留文稿呢 |
[43:52] | Why would she not just… destroy them? | 她为什么不 毁掉文稿呢 |
[43:56] | Well, she might. Towards the end. | 也许会吧 在她生命结束之时 |
[44:00] | Don’t say that. | 不要这么说 |
[44:01] | – You must prevent it. – How? | -你必须阻止这种事情的发生 -怎么阻止呢 |
[44:05] | You could get them away from her. | 你可以把文稿从她身边拿走 |
[44:07] | And give them to you? | 把它们给你吗 |
[44:09] | Well, you might just let me look at them. | 你可以就只让我看看 |
[44:13] | They would be of such importance | 在对杰弗里·阿斯彭的研究中 |
[44:17] | as a contribution to the history of Jeffrey Aspern. | 它们会起到相当重要的作用 |
[44:22] | There was a gentleman once | 从前有一位先生 |
[44:25] | that wrote to her in very much those words. | 给她写信 也写到了差不多的话 |
[44:28] | He said… What was it? Let me remember. | 他是怎么说的 让我想想 |
[44:31] | Ah! Yes… | 对了 |
[44:33] | “They would be of immeasurable importance.” | “它们将具有不可估量的重要性” |
[44:40] | And what did she reply? | 那她怎么回答的呢 |
[44:42] | After he’d sent her two or three letters, | 在他寄了两三封信之后 |
[44:45] | she became fearfully angry. | 她变得非常生气 |
[44:49] | She tore them up. She put them in the fire. | 她撕碎了那些信 扔进了火里 |
[44:53] | She said that he was a devil. | 她说他是个魔鬼 |
[44:57] | Well, I hope you won’t see me as a devil. | 那么 我可不希望你把我看成魔鬼 |
[45:02] | It depends what you ask me to do for you. | 这取决于你要求我为你做什么 |
[45:08] | I only ask that you prevent her from destroying the papers. | 我只想让你阻止她销毁文稿 |
[45:13] | But how? | 但是如何阻止呢 |
[45:17] | It’s she who controls me. | 她才是控制我的人 |
[45:25] | I don’t think that you have to be too frightened. | 我觉得你不必这么害怕 |
[45:31] | She… She loves them. | 她 她很珍惜那些手稿 |
[45:35] | She loves them so much. | 她非常爱它们 |
[45:49] | I’ll do what I can to help you. | 我会尽我所能帮助你的 |
[46:40] | “Destruction marks thee! | “毁灭标记着你 |
[46:43] | O’er the blood-stained heath | 血迹斑斑的荒原 |
[46:45] | is faintly borne | 在隐约诞生 |
[46:48] | that stifled wail of death. | 那窒息的死亡哀号 |
[46:51] | Millions to fight compelled, | 数百万的人们被迫战斗着 |
[46:54] | to fight or die | 战斗 或是 |
[46:56] | in mangled heaps on war’s red altar lie.” | 在战争的红祭坛上死去” |
[47:15] | Tina is a very nice girl. | 缇娜是个很好的姑娘 |
[47:19] | I hope you did not take her out | 我希望你带她出去 |
[47:21] | because you were obliged to, | 不是因为你觉得有责任这么做 |
[47:23] | but that you… you have some feeling for her. | 而是因为 你对她有感觉 |
[47:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[47:39] | Have you come to tell me | 你是来告诉我 |
[47:41] | that you wish to take your rooms for six months more? | 你希望再多住六个月吗 |
[47:47] | I am a simple man of letters. | 我是个很简单的文字工作者 |
[47:50] | I live from day to day. | 就这么一天一天的生活 |
[47:52] | So do you find your rooms too dear? | 所以你觉得房租价格太高了吗 |
[47:56] | I’ve treated myself to three months in Venice. | 我让自己在威尼斯待了三个月 |
[47:59] | It has been an immense luxury. | 这已经是一种极大的奢侈了 |
[48:01] | But if you find your rooms too dear, | 但如果你觉得你的房间太贵了的话 |
[48:04] | you can have more rooms for the same money. | 你可以用一样的钱但拥有更多房间 |
[48:08] | We can arrange something, | 我们可以做些安排 |
[48:10] | we can combinare, as they say. | 正如他们所说 我们可以结合为一家 |
[48:14] | Evidently you suppose me much richer than I am. | 显然 你认为的我 比我实际情况要富有得多 |
[48:17] | – You write books. Don’t you sell them? – A little. | -你写书 难道不卖吗 -卖得不多 |
[48:21] | Not as much as I’d wish. | 没有我希望得那么多 |
[48:23] | Writing books such as mine is the last road to fortune. | 我写的那种书 基本是不会走向富裕之路的 |
[48:26] | Perhaps you don’t choose good subjects. | 也许你没有选择好合适的主题 |
[48:28] | What do you write about? | 你的书是关于什么的 |
[48:29] | I write about the books of other people. | 我写的是关于别人的书 |
[48:32] | I’m a critic, a biographer. | 我是一个评论家 一个传记作家 |
[48:37] | What do you say about these writers? | 你对于这些作家是怎么想的 |
[48:41] | I say they sometimes attach themselves to very clever women. | 我觉得他们有时会依附于非常聪明的女人 |
[48:46] | Do you think it’s right to rake up the past? | 你认为重提旧事是对的吗 |
[48:51] | How can we get to the past | 如果我们不深挖一点 |
[48:53] | if we don’t dig a little? | 我们如何会了解过去呢 |
[48:54] | The present has such a rough way of treading on it. | 如今的生活正在肆意践踏着过去 |
[48:57] | I like the past. I don’t like critics. | 我喜欢过去 我不喜欢评论家 |
[49:00] | Neither do I. | 我也不喜欢 |
[49:03] | But I like their discoveries. | 但我喜欢他们的发现 |
[49:04] | Mostly lies. | 大部分都是谎言 |
[49:06] | The lies are what they sometimes discover. | 谎言是有时候他们的发现 |
[49:08] | They lay bare the truth. | 他们只是把真相摆出来 |
[49:10] | The truth belongs to God, | 真相属于上帝 |
[49:17] | not to man. | 不属于人们 |
[49:18] | We’d best leave it alone. | 我们最好别去管 |
[49:21] | Who are we to judge? Who can say? | 我们有什么资格去评判 又有谁知道 |
[49:28] | But if we stop trying, | 但如果我们不再努力 |
[49:31] | what becomes of these great works? | 那这些伟大的作品会变成什么呢 |
[49:33] | People forget them. | 人们会忘却它们 |
[49:34] | We need the tools to measure them by. | 我们需要工具来度量它们 |
[49:37] | “To measure them by.” | “去度量它们” |
[49:42] | You speak like a tailor. | 你这话说得像个裁缝 |
[49:51] | What do you know about curiosities? | 你对好奇心知道多少 |
[49:54] | Curiosities? | 好奇心 |
[49:56] | The gimcracks that people pay so much for today. | 如今人们花这么多钱买粗制滥造的东西 |
[50:00] | Do you know what kind of price they bring? | 你知道它们的进价是多少吗 |
[50:03] | – Do you want to buy something? – No. I want to sell. | -你想买东西吗 -不 我想卖东西 |
[50:08] | Do you know what an antiquaire might give me | 你知道古董商会为了这个 |
[50:13] | for this? | 给我多少吗 |
[50:31] | It’s a very striking face. | 这是一张俊秀的脸庞 |
[50:33] | Tell me. Who is it? | 告诉我 这是谁呢 |
[50:36] | A friend of mine. | 我的一个朋友 |
[50:39] | A very distinguished man. He gave it to me. | 一个非常杰出的人 他把这个给了我 |
[50:43] | But you never mind his name. | 但你不用关心他的名字 |
[50:46] | You would probably never have heard of him. | 你可能都没听说过他 |
[50:50] | The young generation know nothing of their elders. | 年轻一代对他们的长辈一无所知 |
[50:52] | He was all the fashion when I was young. | 我年轻的时候他就是时尚 |
[50:58] | The face looks familiar. | 这张脸看起来很眼熟 |
[51:02] | You express doubt about this generation knowing him but… | 你对这代人是否知道他存疑 |
[51:06] | he strikes me for all the world | 但作为一个著名的人 |
[51:10] | as a celebrated man. | 他是我的全世界 |
[51:11] | Perhaps I’ve seen other likenesses, other portraits. | 或许我见过其他差不多的 其他画像 |
[51:15] | When he was older, perhaps. | 也许是他更年长时候的 |
[51:19] | Who is he? | 他是谁呢 |
[51:23] | I can’t put a name on it. | 我想不起来 |
[51:25] | Only the person who knows who he is | 只有知道他是谁的人 |
[51:28] | would give me the price that I ask. | 才愿意按我的报价出钱 |
[51:32] | Then you have a price? | 那你是有预期价格了 |
[51:34] | I know the least I would take. | 我有我能接受的底价 |
[51:37] | I want to know the most I can get. | 我想知道我最多能得到多少 |
[51:42] | I should like to have it for myself, | 我本想自己买下来 |
[51:45] | but with your ideas, | 但如果你这么想 |
[51:47] | I could never afford it. | 那我永远也买不起 |
[51:50] | You would buy the likeness of someone you don’t know | 你会买一个没什么名声的艺术家画的 |
[51:53] | by an artist who has no reputation? | 你不认识的人的画像吗 |
[51:55] | The artist may have no reputation, | 这位艺术家可能没有名声 |
[51:58] | but that portrait is painted wonderfully well. | 但这幅画像画得非常好 |
[52:00] | Oh, it’s lucky you say that. | 你这么说真好 |
[52:04] | The painter was my father. | 画家是我父亲 |
[52:05] | That makes it all the more precious. | 这就让它更加的珍贵了 |
[52:08] | I hope you’ll tell me before you offer it to anyone else | 希望你准备卖给别人之前告诉我 |
[52:10] | and give me notice. | 并且给我个通知 |
[52:12] | I am a possible buyer. | 我是一个潜在的买家 |
[52:14] | I want my money first. | 我会先把钱要到手 |
[52:15] | I have no doubt of that. I know your ways. | 对此我毫无疑问 我知道你的方式 |
[52:19] | My ways? | 我的方式 |
[52:20] | What do you know of my ways? | 你对我的方式了解多少呢 |
[52:23] | Do you observe me, | 你在观察我 |
[52:25] | do you spy on me? | 你在监视我吗 |
[52:26] | You be careful, my friend, because I observe you. | 你要小心 朋友 因为我在观察你 |
[52:31] | You say you want to see me, but I spy on you. | 你说你想见我 但我在监视你 |
[52:37] | I can see you. | 我能看穿你 |
[52:39] | Do you make speeches to her? | 你跟她说什么长篇大论吗 |
[52:41] | What do you talk about when you go out together? | 当你们一起出去的时候 你们聊什么呢 |
[52:46] | You speak as if we were in the habit of going out every night. | 你说的好像我们每天晚上都出去一样 |
[52:49] | Certainly I wish we had. | 当然我是希望如此的 |
[52:50] | But if that were the case, | 但如果是这样的话 |
[52:52] | I’d feel greater scruple at betraying her confidence. | 我会更加顾忌 担心会辜负她的信任 |
[52:55] | Her confidence. Oh! | 她的信任 |
[52:56] | Oh, does she have confidence in you now? | 那她现在是信任你吗 |
[53:00] | Miss Tina, do you have confidence in me? | 缇娜小姐 你信任我吗 |
[53:04] | Your aunt so very much wants to know. | 你姨娘很想知道这个答案 |
[53:06] | It’s no good. She’s dreadfully excited. | 情况不太好 她非常激动 |
[53:09] | I see you, I see both of you. | 我了解你 我了解你们两个 |
[53:11] | I see you from here. | 我了解你的内心 |
[53:15] | I dare say you think I’m ill. | 我敢说你认为我病了 |
[53:17] | Oh, you think I’m losing my mind, hm? | 你以为我疯了吗 |
[53:21] | You may like to think so. | 也许你会这样想 |
[53:24] | That is not the case, that is not the case. | 事实并非如此 事实并不是这样 |
[53:28] | I’m not ill. | 我没病 |
[53:46] | At this moment, in the stillness, | 此刻 在宁静中 |
[53:49] | after the long contradiction of the day, | 在一天的矛盾之后 |
[53:52] | Miss Bordereau’s secrets were in the air, | 博尔德罗女士的秘密随处可见 |
[53:55] | the wonder of her survival more palpable. | 她能幸存 更是个奇迹 |
[54:28] | I ask for your pardon. | 我请求你的原谅 |
[54:30] | Not to leave you now, but to have stayed so long. | 现在离开你 是为了以后待得更久 |
[54:49] | You must go now. | 你必须离开了 |
[55:29] | – Hm. Very elegant. – Thank you. | -非常优雅 -谢谢 |
[55:31] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢您 先生 |
[55:41] | All living creatures have a spirit double. | 所有生物都有一个灵魂分身 |
[55:44] | A doppelganger. | 二重身 |
[55:46] | who is invisible but identical to the living individual. | 它是看不见的 但与活着的人是完全相同的 |
[55:51] | Sometimes they are described as the spiritual opposite, | 有时它们被描述为精神的反面 |
[55:54] | or negative, of their human counterparts. | 或是负面 相较于它们对应的人类 |
[56:18] | Drop it. | 扔掉 |
[56:24] | Good boy. | 乖孩子 |
[56:33] | She’s very ill. | 她病得很重 |
[56:37] | She’s having great trouble breathing. | 她呼吸很困难 |
[56:39] | I… I thought that she was dying. | 我以为她要离开我了 |
[56:41] | Don’t say that. | 别这么说 |
[56:43] | I didn’t know what to do. I sent the maid to get the doctor. | 我不知道该怎么办 我派了女仆去请医生 |
[56:46] | I couldn’t find you anywhere. | 我哪儿都没找到你 |
[56:48] | I am sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[56:53] | I must go back to her. | 我必须回到她的身边了 |
[56:55] | – May I help you in watching over her? – No. | -我可以帮你照看她吗 -不行 |
[57:03] | She ought to be spared the sight of you. | 她应该不想见到你 |
[58:22] | She’s calmer. She’s sleeping. | 她平静些了 现在在睡觉 |
[58:25] | May I see her? | 我可以见她吗 |
[58:42] | She kept the papers… over there. | 她把文稿保存在了 那里 |
[58:48] | In that trunk? | 那个箱子吗 |
[58:51] | Where are they now? | 那它们现在在哪 |
[59:34] | That green box, the one you pointed out to me in her room. | 那她屋里你指给我看的那个绿箱子 |
[59:40] | You said the papers had been there. | 你说过曾存放着手稿 |
[59:43] | You implied that she had transferred them. | 你暗示手稿已经被转她移了 |
[59:46] | They’re not in the trunk. | 并不在那个箱子里 |
[59:48] | I have looked. I have looked for you. | 我先前找过的 我替你找过的 |
[59:52] | Would you have given them to me if you had found them? | 如果你找到了文稿 可以交给我吗 |
[59:57] | I don’t know what I would or wouldn’t have done. | 我不知道我该做什么 不该做什么 |
[1:00:02] | I must tell you the truth. | 我必须要告诉你真相了 |
[1:00:04] | The truth? | 真相 |
[1:00:07] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:00:09] | A confession, if you will. | 亦或是坦白 如果你想听的话 |
[1:00:16] | I sailed under false colours. | 我一直都戴着面具 |
[1:00:18] | I gave you an invented name. | 我告诉你的是捏造的姓名 |
[1:00:22] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:00:24] | I had to. | 我不得已而为之 |
[1:00:28] | There. | 给你 |
[1:00:30] | See for yourself. | 自己看吧 |
[1:00:41] | I feel that you’re a new person now, | 我已然觉得你是个全新的人 |
[1:00:45] | with a new name. | 有着全新的名字 |
[1:00:47] | It’s not a new one. | 这并非是个新名字 |
[1:00:49] | Just a very good old one. Thank God. | 是用了很久的好名字 谢天谢地 |
[1:00:53] | I like it better. | 我更喜欢这个名字 |
[1:01:04] | Do you think me a devil, | 你觉得我是个恶魔吗 |
[1:01:07] | as your aunt says? | 就像你姨娘说的那样吗 |
[1:01:11] | I think that you want the papers very much. | 我只觉得你太渴求那些手稿 |
[1:01:15] | I do. | 确实是 |
[1:01:17] | Then be patient. | 那就要有耐心 |
[1:01:20] | All is still possible. | 还是有可能的 |
[1:01:25] | You must do as you wish. | 按你的意愿做吧 |
[1:02:19] | Perhaps he’s married already. | 没准他已经结婚了呢 |
[1:02:21] | That could be the reason why he doesn’t look at you. | 没准这就是他看都不看你的原因 |
[1:02:23] | Give a man a mask and he’ll tell you the truth. | 唯有藏身于面具之下 才会坦诚相待 |
[1:02:31] | – Are you married? – No. | -你结婚了吗 -没有 |
[1:02:35] | I walk alone. | 我喜欢一个人 |
[1:02:37] | Doesn’t it make you sad to live your life without love? | 缺少爱的人生难道不会很悲哀吗 |
[1:02:41] | No. | 不会 |
[1:02:44] | I have my work. | 我有工作 |
[1:02:46] | But I wouldn’t expect ladies of your youth to understand. | 但我不觉得像你们这样的年轻女士会懂得 |
[1:02:51] | I am the Princesse de Lamballe, | 我是朗巴勒公主 |
[1:02:53] | Marie Antoinette’s closest friend. | 玛丽亚·安东尼特最为亲近的朋友 |
[1:02:57] | That was just the jealous gossip of people at court. | 那不过是宫廷中嫉妒的人在这说闲话罢了 |
[1:03:00] | My head has just been cut off… | 我的头才被砍下来 |
[1:03:04] | Morton! | 莫顿 |
[1:03:06] | Morton, where are you? The princess is speaking to you. | 莫顿 想什么呢 公主在跟你说话 |
[1:03:09] | Oh, he’s still thinking about those dusty papers. Come. | 他还想着那堆古董手稿呢 来吧 |
[1:03:14] | What is there to find? | 到底能找到什么 |
[1:03:18] | The truth. | 真相 |
[1:03:20] | The truth? About what? | 真相 有关什么的真相 |
[1:03:24] | About myself. | 有关我自己的 |
[1:03:26] | About… desire. | 有关 欲望 |
[1:03:31] | About God. | 还有上帝 |
[1:04:54] | There are things that must stay in the past. | 有些事是一定要留在过去的 |
[1:05:52] | You! | 你 |
[1:05:53] | Publishing scoundrel! | 出版界的恶棍 |
[1:06:02] | Aunt… Olimpia! | 姨娘 欧莉普亚 |
[1:06:07] | Olimpia! | 欧莉普亚 |
[1:06:11] | Aunt… | 姨娘 |
[1:06:13] | Olimpia! | 欧莉普亚 |
[1:08:10] | So, what are you gonna do now? | 那么 你现在准备怎么办 |
[1:08:14] | Have you thought about it? | 你有考虑过吗 |
[1:08:16] | I have but er… nothing’s settled yet. | 考虑过 但 一切都没有定下来 |
[1:08:21] | What I was asking | 我想说的是 |
[1:08:23] | is whether the reasons I took the | 我踏入这个房间的 |
[1:08:25] | rooms in the first place still exist. | 初心是否仍存 |
[1:08:27] | Have you settled my fate? | 你是否已经决定了我的命运 |
[1:08:30] | Your fate? | 你的命运 |
[1:08:32] | The Aspern papers. | 阿斯彭的手稿 |
[1:08:34] | Well, there are a great many. | 其实 手稿有很多 |
[1:08:36] | More than I supposed. | 比我以为的多得多 |
[1:08:38] | When can I see them? | 我何时才能目睹真迹 |
[1:08:40] | I don’t know that you can. | 我不知道你可不可以 |
[1:08:43] | You don’t mean to say you’ve made a deathbed promise? | 你不会是说你答应了她的临终遗愿吧 |
[1:08:46] | Not a promise… | 并不是答应的 |
[1:08:48] | What is it, then? | 那是什么 |
[1:08:53] | She wanted to burn them | 她勒令我 |
[1:08:56] | and charged me to do it. | 把手稿都烧掉 |
[1:08:58] | But I took them away and locked them up. | 但我把文稿拿走锁起来了 |
[1:09:03] | Did you say that you would burn them? | 那你说了你会烧掉那些手稿吗 |
[1:09:04] | No, I didn’t. On purpose. | 没有 我故意没有说 |
[1:09:08] | On purpose to gratify me? | 是为了满足我吗 |
[1:09:10] | Yes, only for that. | 是的 只有这个原因 |
[1:09:15] | I don’t know what good that’ll do | 如果你现在不让我目睹一下真迹 |
[1:09:16] | me now if you won’t let me see them. | 我都不知道要怎么办了 |
[1:09:18] | I know. I know this. | 我明白 我明白的 |
[1:09:22] | I don’t understand. | 我不理解 |
[1:09:24] | If you didn’t make a promise, | 你并没有许下承诺 |
[1:09:25] | what can possibly tie you now? | 那是什么在困扰着你呢 |
[1:09:27] | Because… she hated this. | 因为 她并不想这样 |
[1:09:32] | She hated this so much. | 她十分厌恶这样 |
[1:09:36] | She could be so jealous, | 她会非常妒忌 |
[1:09:38] | so covetous. | 非常垂涎 |
[1:09:43] | But there is the portrait. | 但这副画像 |
[1:09:45] | You can have that. | 你可以留着 |
[1:09:48] | – You’re giving it to me? – Yes. | -是要送给我吗 -是的 |
[1:09:53] | It’s worth a lot of money. | 它价值连城 |
[1:09:54] | Take it. | 收下吧 |
[1:10:01] | You’re very generous. | 你真的很慷慨 |
[1:10:03] | So are you. | 你也是 |
[1:10:04] | I don’t know why you should think so. | 我不知道为什么你会这么觉得 |
[1:10:07] | You’ve made a great difference to me. | 你对我的影响很大 |
[1:10:14] | As much as I value the portrait, | 虽然我也会珍惜这幅画像 |
[1:10:17] | the papers are what I should prefer. | 但手稿才是我更想要的 |
[1:10:20] | But you would understand if you really knew her. | 如果你足够了解她的话你就会明白了 |
[1:10:24] | I can still see her looking at me. | 我现在还会感到她在看着我 |
[1:10:27] | Her eyes were so fine but they could be terrible. | 虽然她的双眼很美 但却令人胆战心惊 |
[1:10:31] | I saw something of that. | 我看出几分了 |
[1:10:34] | I could still see them staring at me in the dark. | 我仍能感觉到她从黑暗里注视着我 |
[1:10:39] | You’re very nervous. | 你紧张过度了 |
[1:10:41] | Yes. Yes, I am. | 是啊 是啊 |
[1:10:46] | She wanted to say something to me. | 她想跟我说些什么 |
[1:10:49] | Something very particular before she died. | 她死前特别想说的一些事 |
[1:10:52] | Did you guess what it could have been? | 你有想过那是什么事吗 |
[1:10:55] | I think that she wanted to say that… | 我觉得她想说的是 |
[1:10:58] | if you were a relation, | 如果你要是亲人的话 |
[1:11:00] | things would be different. | 事情会不一样的 |
[1:11:05] | A relation? | 亲人 |
[1:11:07] | If you weren’t a stranger, what is mine would be yours. | 如果你不是个外人 我的也会是你的 |
[1:11:11] | You could do with it what you want, I couldn’t prevent you. | 你可任意为之 我不会阻拦 |
[1:11:28] | I will sell the portrait for you. | 我会替你把这幅画像卖掉的 |
[1:11:31] | It’s what your aunt would have wanted you to do. | 这是你姨娘也想让你做的事 |
[1:11:34] | I shan’t get what she demanded for it | 我还是想不到她到底要求的是什么 |
[1:11:37] | but I shall get something good. | 但我可以换来其他好东西 |
[1:11:42] | Oh, I’m so ashamed. | 我真是羞愧 |
[1:11:44] | I’m so ashamed. | 无地自容 |
[1:11:48] | I would give you everything. | 我会把一切都给你的 |
[1:11:51] | Everything that you want. | 任何你想要的 |
[1:11:53] | And she would forgive me. | 她会宽恕我的 |
[1:14:10] | You will recognise the handwriting of him | 你能认得出他的笔迹 |
[1:14:13] | who passionately loves you. | 那个深切爱着你的人 |
[1:14:16] | I feel your fiery hand touch me, | 我感受到你火热的手掌正在抚摸我 |
[1:14:19] | take me where no other hand, | 带领我去到其他人无法带我到达的地方 |
[1:14:21] | except my youthful and intemperate one, | 除了我的青春 那放纵的日子 |
[1:14:24] | has ever gone in with such a burning heat. | 在激情的热浪中消却 |
[1:14:46] | My destiny rests with you, | 我的命运和你息息相关 |
[1:14:48] | and you are a woman seventeen years of age… | 你这一个芳龄十七岁的女人 |
[1:15:00] | But all this is too late. | 但所有这些都为时已晚 |
[1:15:03] | Think of me sometimes when the Alps and the oceans divide us, | 想到阿尔卑斯山和大洋会阻隔我们 |
[1:15:07] | but they never will, unless you wish it. | 但它们休想得逞 除非你选择屈服 |
[1:15:28] | He was nearly my height, | 他几乎和我一样高 |
[1:15:30] | very thin, very fair complexion, | 纤细 面色白皙 |
[1:15:33] | dark locks and light eyes. | 如同黑夜明灯般闪亮的双眼 |
[1:15:37] | His voice first attracted my attention, | 他的嗓音最先勾起我的兴致 |
[1:15:40] | but his countenance fixed it | 但他的容颜更胜一筹 |
[1:15:43] | and his manners attached me to him forever. | 他的举止让我为之倾之一生 |
[1:15:49] | I love him more than I ever loved a living thing, | 我爱他胜过一切 |
[1:15:56] | and he, I believe, will love me to the last. | 而他 我相信他对我也至死不渝 |
[1:16:17] | I rejoice that the child is amiable and pretty. | 我欣喜孩子生的美丽可亲 |
[1:16:23] | She frowns and pouts in quite our way. | 她的一蹙一颦都好似我们 |
[1:16:26] | Blue eyes, light hair growing darker daily… | 碧蓝的双眼 亮丽的头发日渐乌黑 |
[1:16:36] | My dearest Juliana. | 我最爱的朱莉安娜啊 |
[1:16:39] | To hear from afar of our sweet child’s death | 爱女夭折之噩 |
[1:16:42] | has shocked me more than any preceding. | 刺痛吾心 莫过于此 |
[1:16:46] | It sits heavy on my heart | 把我的心打上沉痛的枷锁 |
[1:16:49] | and calls back what I wish to forget | 一次又一次把我召唤至痛苦的深渊 |
[1:16:52] | in many a feverish dream. | 伴随着数不清的噩梦 |
[1:17:07] | Our love broken. | 我们的爱已破碎 |
[1:17:09] | Myself, my own dread foe. | 我自己 就是我最大的敌人 |
[1:17:11] | I have been wandering companionless with a joyless eye | 无心慢踱 双目涣散 |
[1:17:14] | that finds no object worth its constancy. | 却发现任何事都毫无意义 |
[1:17:18] | Now, more than ever, seems it rich to die, | 现今 我比以往更加向往死亡 |
[1:17:22] | but I weary of this eternal pilgrimage. | 我已厌倦了永生的朝圣 |
[1:17:52] | I had scruples about going back. | 我曾想过回去 |
[1:17:55] | And yet I had others about not doing so. | 但有事耽搁 无法如愿 |
[1:17:58] | Perhaps my absence would be a heavier burden for Tina. | 对缇娜而言 我的缺席更是沉重的负担 |
[1:18:29] | Il signor Morton. | 莫顿阁下来了 |
[1:18:34] | How pretty. | 好美啊 |
[1:18:43] | I was told you were… Well, I was wondering… | 我听说你在 我在想 |
[1:18:45] | Forgive me if I continue. | 抱歉我得继续 |
[1:18:48] | I wouldn’t want to impose. | 我不想强求 |
[1:18:50] | Do you intend to stay in Venice? | 你会留在威尼斯吗 |
[1:18:54] | I could stay. | 我可以留下来 |
[1:18:56] | It all depends on you. | 这都取决于你 |
[1:18:57] | Oh, I’m leaving. | 哦我要走了 |
[1:18:59] | You’re leaving? | 你要走了 |
[1:19:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:19:03] | I decided to go on a trip of my own. | 我决定自己一个人去旅行 |
[1:19:06] | Well, I could accompany you. | 那么 我可以陪着你 |
[1:19:09] | It would be a great pleasure for me if… | 我会很荣幸的 如果 |
[1:19:11] | If only… | 只是如果 |
[1:19:16] | I realised, you were right. | 我明白了 你说的对 |
[1:19:19] | The papers will seal our union. | 手稿会封印我们之间的关系 |
[1:19:24] | Oh, there’s nothing that you can do to get the papers now. | 关于手稿 你现在做什么都没有用了 |
[1:19:29] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:19:31] | I burned them after you left. | 你走后 我把它们都烧了 |
[1:19:38] | How could you do such a thing? | 你怎么可以这样做呢 |
[1:19:41] | You should have waited for me. You should have talked to me. | 你该等我的 该跟我说的 |
[1:19:44] | It’s what she would have wanted me to do. | 这是她想让我做的事 |
[1:19:48] | And what about me? | 那我呢 |
[1:19:50] | Did you ever think of me? | 你考虑过我吗 |
[1:19:53] | I did. | 有的 |
[1:19:58] | Shall I see you again? | 那我还能再见到你吗 |
[1:20:00] | No. | 不 |
[1:20:03] | You are inhuman, Miss Tina. | 你可真是无情啊 缇娜女士 |
[1:20:05] | Inhuman? | 无情 |
[1:20:08] | As my aunt told you, | 就像我姨娘跟你说的 |
[1:20:10] | that’s what the poets used to say a hundred years ago. | 那是一百多年前的诗里所说 |
[1:20:13] | Don’t try and imitate them, you’ll never do as well. | 不要试图模仿他们 你永远也做不到 |
[1:20:18] | Look, I… I simply wanted to… | 听着 我只是想 |
[1:20:20] | What we want doesn’t matter. | 我们怎么想的不重要 |
[1:20:22] | What matters is what we get. | 重要的是我们能得到什么 |
[1:20:25] | That’s what she was trying to tell me before she died. | 这就是她死前想跟我说的话 |
[1:20:29] | So that’s what I’m to understand? | 所以我该这么想吗 |
[1:20:32] | One doesn’t defend one’s god. | 人不能守护自己的神明 |
[1:20:35] | One’s god is in himself a defence. | 神明本身就是他的防御 |
[1:20:42] | We must part now. | 我们必须道别了 |
[1:20:44] | We must. | 必须了 |
[1:23:04] | “Ere Babylon was dust, | “巴比伦化为尘土以前 |
[1:23:07] | the Magus Zoroaster, my dead child, | 琐罗亚斯德法师 我那死去的孩子 |
[1:23:10] | met his own image walking in the garden. | 在园中散步之时见到自己的影像 |
[1:23:14] | That apparition, | 那个幻影 |
[1:23:16] | sole of men, | 普天之下 |
[1:23:18] | he saw.” | 只他一人看见” |