英文名称:Take the Money and Run
年代:1969
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | On December 1, 1935… | 1935年12月1日 |
[00:06] | Mrs. William Starkwell, the wife of a New Jersey handyman… | 威廉.斯塔克维尔太太 一个新泽西杂工的妻子 |
[00:10] | gives birth to her first and only child. | 生下了她第一个也是最后一个孩子 |
[00:13] | It is a boy, and they name it Virgil. | 是个男孩,取名叫维吉尔 |
[00:16] | He is an exceptionally cute baby, with a sweet disposition. | 他是个聪明俐的孩子,五官端正 |
[00:20] | Before he is 25 years old, he will be wanted by police in six states… | 在他25岁之前 六个州的警察在缉拿他 |
[00:25] | for assault, armed robbery, and illegal possession of a wart. | 由于袭击他人,持枪抢劫 非法拥有等罪 |
[00:30] | Growing up in a slum neighborhood… | 在全国犯罪率最高的贫民区 |
[00:32] | where the crime rate is amongst the highest in the nation is not easy. | 长大并不容易 |
[00:36] | Particularly for Virgil, who is small and frail compared to the other children. | 特别是维吉尔,和其他孩子 相比他很小很脆弱 |
[01:08] | Virgil Starkwell attends this school where he scores well on an IQ test… | 维吉尔.斯塔克维尔经过IQ测试 并取得好成绩之后进入这家学校学习 |
[01:12] | although his behavior disturbs the teachers. | 尽管他的行为扰乱了教学秩序 |
[01:16] | We interviewed Mrs. Dorothy Lowry, a school teacher who remembered Virgil. | 我们采访了道斯.罗里太太 一个记得维吉尔的老师 |
[01:21] | I remember one time, he stole a fountain pen. | 我记得有一次,他偷了一支自来水笔 |
[01:25] | I didn’t want to embarrass him. | 我不想让他难堪 |
[01:27] | You know, teachers have ways of doing things… | 你知道,老师有自己的处理方法 |
[01:30] | so I said to the class, “We will all close our eyes…” | 所以我对全班同学说 我们都把眼睛闭上 |
[01:34] | “and will the one who took the pen please return it?” | 如果谁偷了笔,就把它放回去 |
[01:38] | While our eyes were closed… | 当我们把眼睛闭上的时候 |
[01:41] | he returned the pen. | 他把笔放回去了 |
[01:43] | But he took the opportunity of feeling all the girls. | 但他乘机摸了所有的女孩子 |
[01:50] | Can I say “feel”? | 我能说摸吗? |
[01:53] | Spending most of his time in the streets, Virgil takes to crime at an early age. | 他大部分时间在街上度过 维吉尔很早就开始犯罪 |
[02:00] | He is an immediate failure. | 他很快就失败了 |
[02:02] | He barely manages to escape with a gumball machine stuck on his hand. | 他抱着报警灯根本跑不了 |
[02:09] | With both parents working to make ends meet… | 当父母为生计忙碌的时候 |
[02:12] | Virgil becomes closest to his grandfather… | 维吉尔经常和他的爷爷在一起 |
[02:15] | a 60-year-old German immigrant… | 一个60岁的德国移民 |
[02:17] | who takes the boy to movies and baseball games. | 他经常带维吉尔看电影和棒球比赛 |
[02:20] | Then tragedy strikes. | 于是悲剧发生了 |
[02:22] | At a Washington senators’ game… | 在一场华盛顿议员的比赛中 |
[02:24] | Virgil’s grandfather is struck in the head by a foul ball. | 维吉尔的爷爷被球重重地击中 |
[02:28] | The blow causes permanent injury to his mind… | 这次打击给维吉尔的精神 造成了严重的伤害 |
[02:31] | and he becomes convinced he is Kaiser Wilhelm. | 他确信自己就是柯兹.韦里穆 |
[02:34] | Here are some rare photos of him with other patients on the sanitarium grounds. | 这些珍贵的照片是他和 另外一些病人在疗养院的操场上 |
[02:42] | When he is 15 years old, amidst the violence and poverty of the slums… | 当他15岁的时候 在暴力和贫穷的贫民窟中 |
[02:47] | Virgil receives a cello as a gift. | 维吉尔收到一架别人送给他的大提琴 |
[02:53] | He is fascinated by the instrument… | 他迷上了大提琴 |
[02:55] | and for the first time in the Starkwell house, music is heard. | 第一次从斯塔克维尔家中传出音乐声 |
[03:07] | We spoke to Mr. Torgman, his first and only cello teacher. | 我们采访了托格先生 维吉尔的第一个 也是唯一一个大提琴老师 |
[03:11] | There is not very much to tell… | 那真的不好说,因为 |
[03:14] | because his cello playing was just terrible. | 因为他的大提琴拉实在太糟 |
[03:19] | He would… | 他不懂怎么发音 |
[03:21] | He had no idea about tone production. | |
[03:24] | He would just saw it back and forth… | 他这是来来回回地拉 |
[03:28] | just scratch the instrument to such a point… | 他经常弄坏乐器 |
[03:32] | it would drive everyone who listened to it absolutely insane. | 他使听众觉得他是在发疯 |
[03:36] | He had no conception of the instrument. | 他根本没有乐器这个概念 |
[03:39] | He was blowing into it. | 他突然出现 |
[03:48] | He loved his cello. | 他喜欢他的大提琴 |
[03:50] | And I think he stole to pay for his lessons… | 我怀疑他靠偷窃来付学费 |
[03:53] | but he would not apply himself one iota. | 但他从来不为自己申请什么 |
[03:59] | Virgil steals to pay for cello lessons… | 维吉尔靠偷窃支付大提琴的学费 |
[04:02] | and although he does not achieve greatness on the instrument… | 虽然他在乐器方面取得很大成就 |
[04:05] | he is soon good enough to play in a local band. | 但他已经可以在当地的乐队演奏 |
[04:37] | A jungle, however, Is no place for a cellist… | 但是小廟容不下大佛 |
[04:40] | and Virgil soon learns the facts of life. | 维吉尔很快认识到现实的残酷 |
[05:07] | At 18, Virgil is lonely and confused. | 18岁那年,维吉尔很孤独,懵懂 |
[05:10] | Unable to concentrate In school, he has long since dropped out. | 在学校他不能集中精力 很久没有去上学 |
[05:14] | He wants nothing more than to belong, if only to a street gang. | 他只想有个住的地方,即使在街上 |
[05:18] | It is here, he thinks, he will prove his manhood. | 现在他想证明自己已经成年 |
[05:26] | Under constant economic pressure… | 在持续的经济压力下 |
[05:28] | Virgil turns to the local pool hall as a means of making a living. | 维吉尔在当地的台球室谋生 |
[05:32] | ‘Tm going to be a pool hustler,” he tells his friends. | 他对他的朋友说:“我将成为职业台球手” |
[05:39] | Ball, please. | 请帮忙捡一下球 |
[05:41] | Okay, thanks. | 谢谢 |
[06:09] | Virgil tries to join the navy but is psychologically unfit. | 维吉尔想参加海军,但心理上承受不了 |
[06:14] | That looks to me like… | 那给我的感觉就像两头大象 |
[06:16] | two elephants… making love to a men’s glee club. | 在合唱俱乐部 |
[06:22] | Mr. T.S. Foster, Virgil’s first probation officer, remembers him vividly. | T.S.福斯特先生,维吉尔的第一个 缓刑监督官生动地回忆起他 |
[06:27] | He was a trustworthy kind of person. | 他是个值得相信的好人 |
[06:30] | You had to remember certain idiosyncrasies that he had. | 我是指,他有一定的特性 |
[06:33] | Like what? | 比如? |
[06:38] | Like not always telling the truth. | 就像经常不说实话 |
[06:41] | He didn’t always tell the truth. | 他经常撒谎 |
[06:44] | Sometimes, he exaggerated the truth. | 有时候,他又会夸大事实 |
[06:50] | Sometimes, you know, he just plain lies. | 有时,他,只是撒小谎 |
[06:53] | He does have a criminal record, yes… | 他的确有犯罪记录 |
[06:56] | but that doesn’t mean that the boy was all bad. | 是的,但这并不意味着他很坏 |
[06:59] | Unable to fit in with any aspect of his environment… | 他完全不能适应环境 |
[07:02] | Virgil strikes out on his own. | 维吉尔完全靠自己 片名 : 傻瓜入狱记 主演:伍迪艾伦 珍妮特.马格林 导演:伍迪艾伦 |
[09:38] | In an effort to shed some light on this period of his life… | 在他生命的这段时间,你要试着去引导他 |
[09:41] | we spoke with his father and mother. | 我们采访了他的父母 |
[09:43] | They are ashamed of their son’s criminal record and so wear disguises. | 他们对儿子的犯罪记录 感到惭愧所以化了装 |
[09:48] | He was a good boy. | 他试个好孩子 |
[09:50] | Come on, if he was a good boy, why are we wearing these? | 好了 如果他是个好孩子,我们还要化装吗? |
[09:54] | He’s rotten, he’s a gangster. | 他已经堕落了!他是个土匪,这就是他 |
[09:56] | How can you say that? He was so bright and he was so talented. | 你怎么可以这么说!他很聪明 |
[10:01] | – What “bright and talented”? – He loved music. – He was an atheist. – He could’ve been a musician. | 他喜欢音乐.他是个无神论者 |
[10:06] | I tried to beat God into him but it was too tough. | 我试着强迫他相信主但他那么强硬 |
[10:09] | He was trying to get away from us, and be independent, make his own life. | 他想离开我们独立 |
[10:14] | Be a human being on his own. I mean, you’re a very dominating person. | 过他自己的生活,做自己想的事 你是个很专横的人 |
[10:17] | – What? – You are, and he was trying to find himself. | 什么?你是 |
[10:21] | – Me? I’m… – Yes. | 他想找回自我 |
[10:22] | – I’ll talk to you later about the whole thing. – What do you mean, “later”? | 好,以后我们认真地谈谈整件事 |
[10:26] | Vowing that he will never serve his full term… | 看来他永远都不能服满刑 |
[10:28] | Virgil plans an elaborate escape, using a bar of soap and some shoe polish. | 维吉尔精心地制订了一个利用肥皂棒 和一些鞋油越狱的计划 |
[10:47] | Guard! | 守卫,守卫! |
[10:51] | Yeah? | 干什么? |
[10:53] | You got to take me to the infirmary. | 你必须马上带我去医务室! |
[10:55] | – What’s the matter? – Don’t ask. | 你怎么了?别问了! |
[11:32] | Virgil’s attempted escape is dealt with harshly. | 维吉尔的试图越狱受到严厉的处分 |
[11:35] | His sentence is extended an additional two years. | 他的刑器延长了两年 |
[11:38] | 1956 is a happy-go-lucky year for most people. | 1956年对大多数人来说是快乐的 幸运的一年 |
[12:03] | Virgil sees none of it from his tiny cell. | 维吉尔在狭小的牢房里说也见不到 |
[12:06] | He marks time by reading. | 他靠读书来计算时间 |
[12:08] | Until one day, a new opportunity arises. | 直到有一天,一个新的机会来了 |
[12:11] | We need volunteers for an experiment. | 我们的实验需要一个志愿者 |
[12:15] | The doctors want someone to be inoculated with a new vaccine. | 医生需要一些人接种新的疫苗 |
[12:20] | It’s never been tried on humans before… | 在此之前它从来没有在人体上使用过 |
[12:23] | so we don’t know what the side effects may be. | 所以我们不知道会有什么反应 |
[12:28] | To be honest… | 老实说,你们会以碰碰运气 |
[12:30] | you’ll be taking a chance. | |
[12:33] | As reward, there’s a parole. | 作为报酬,他将被假释 |
[12:37] | I’m sure there are some among you brave enough to take the risk. | 我相信你们有人敢冒这个险 |
[12:41] | With parole as inducement, Virgil submits to the vaccine test. | 在假释的诱导下,维吉尔接种了疫苗 |
[12:46] | It is a success, except for one temporary side effect. | 除了一些负面影响,总的来说很成功 |
[12:50] | For several hours, he is turned into a rabbi. | 在这几个小时,他变成了一个犹太学者 |
[12:52] | And so, the reason we celebrate… | 因此我们吃逾越节薄饼庆祝逾越节 |
[12:56] | the Passover holidays by eating the matzo… | |
[13:01] | is to commemorate the time… | 纪念摩西 |
[13:04] | that Moses led the children of Israel… from Egypt- | 带着孩子从埃及岛以色列 |
[13:24] | He has so many good qualities. I mean… | 他有这么多优点 |
[13:27] | Yeah, name ’em. | 是的,是的名字 |
[13:29] | He had all sorts of mechanical abilities, he was artistic. | 他能辨别各种机械 他很风雅 |
[13:33] | Remember the painting he did for you on your birthday? | 你还记得他在你生日那天 为你画的画吗? |
[13:36] | A no-good atheist was what he was. | 他并不是想象中那么好的无神论者 |
[13:38] | I used to hit him and try to teach him about God… | 我试着教他信上帝 |
[13:41] | but would he listen? No. | 但他听了吗?没有! |
[13:43] | Virgil leaves prison, apprehensive… | 维吉尔离开了监狱 |
[13:46] | but with some hope that he can begin a new life. | 希望他能够开始新的生活 |
[13:49] | Instead, he finds a world difficult to cope with. | 他发现世界变得更难应付 |
[13:52] | Ashamed to go home, he rents a cheap room in a strange city. | 他不好意思回家,在一个陌生的城市 租了一间便宜的住房 |
[15:29] | Desperate and broke… | 绝望而身无分文的维吉尔希望靠犯罪维生 |
[15:30] | Virgil tries to support himself with small crimes. | |
[15:33] | Here, he attempts to rob a local pet shop. | 他试图抢劫当地一家宠物商店 |
[16:23] | I hope you haven’t been watching me. I’m not very good. | 我希望你不要盯着我,我并不富裕 |
[16:28] | I was strolling down here just now… | 我正在散步看见 |
[16:31] | and I noticed that you were drawing something and I thought… | 你在画画 |
[16:34] | – You can look at it if you want to. – Can I? | 如果你想看话,拿去看吧我能看吗? |
[16:36] | It’s not very good. | 虽然画得不是很好 |
[16:38] | I wouldn’t say that. I think that it’s wonderful. | 我可不这么想我看很漂亮 |
[16:45] | It’s not very good. | 我…画得不好 |
[16:48] | I think that it’s very good, actually. | 我认为画的很好,真的 |
[16:50] | I think you could probably make cash. | 我看可以拿去出售 |
[16:53] | – Are you an artist? – No, of course I’m not. | 你是画家吗?不是,我不是画 |
[16:56] | I’m not an artist. What do you do? | 不是?那你是干什么的? |
[17:01] | I’m a laundress. | 我是个洗衣女工洗衣女工? |
[17:06] | Laundry? Yeah, I wash clothes, primarily. | 洗衣房是的我在马里兰洗衣服 |
[17:12] | That’s great. | 很不错! |
[17:13] | No, it isn’t. | 不是的虽然不是很有趣,但是我喜欢 |
[17:15] | I like it, but it’s not particularly interesting. | |
[17:19] | – What’s your name? – Louise. | 你叫什么名字?路易丝你呢? |
[17:22] | – What’s yours? – Virgil Starkwell. | 维吉尔.斯塔克维尔 维吉尔.斯塔克维尔 |
[17:25] | What do you do? | 你是干什么的?我干什么? |
[17:27] | What do I do? I play the cello. | 我拉大提琴 |
[17:34] | – That’s fantastic! – Yes, I’m a cellist. | 太棒了我是大提琴演奏家 |
[17:38] | – It’s a wonderful job. – Are you with the Philharmonic? | 是个好工作你是乐团成员吗? |
[17:41] | – Yes, I am, actually. – That’s fantastic. | 是的,我是真是太棒了 |
[17:43] | Yes, I’m with the Philharmonic group. | 是的,我在组建自己的乐队 |
[17:46] | Quite a good group. | 一个很棒的乐队 |
[17:48] | I dress like this because I’m just off work now. | 我穿成这样方便走路 |
[17:53] | – Can I interest you in going for a walk at all? – Okay. | 一起散散步好吗?O.K |
[17:59] | I know I was in love. First of all, I was very nauseous. | 我知道我爱上了她,但是我条件很差 |
[18:03] | I had never met such a pretty girl, and I guess I’m sensitive… | 你知道,我从来没有认识过 这么漂亮的女孩 我猜自己太敏感了 |
[18:07] | because real beauty makes me want to gag. | 因为,真正的美让我窒息 |
[18:11] | Plus, I don’t know how to act with girls. | 另外,我在女孩子面前手足无措 |
[18:14] | You know, I’m shy and I’m just nervous around women. | 害羞,紧张 |
[18:16] | I have a tendency to dribble. | 我垂涎欲滴 |
[18:20] | The only girl that! had known was a girl in my neighborhood… | 在此之前我只认识隔壁的女孩 |
[18:25] | and was not an attractive girl. | 但她一点魅力都没有 |
[18:26] | I used to make obscene phone calls to her collect… | 我经常打电话骚扰她 |
[18:30] | and she used to accept the charges all the time, but nothing ever happened. | 每次她都接到了,但什么都没发生 |
[18:35] | And here I am lying through my teeth. | 但是我说了谎,我不能如实告诉路易丝 |
[18:37] | I can’t tel! Louise that I was in jail… | 在监狱时我又是偷又是抢 |
[18:41] | and that I rob and steal, and never did an honest day’s work in my life. | 在我的生命中没有诚实地做过一天事 |
[18:45] | A lot of people hold those things against you. | 你知道很多人会就此而排斥你 |
[18:48] | She was so sweet. We just walked in the park… | 但是她对我很好,我们经常到公园散步 |
[18:51] | and I was so touched by her that… | 我被她深深地吸引 |
[18:53] | after 15 minutes, I wanted to marry her. | 15分后我决定跟她结婚 |
[18:56] | And after a half hour, I completely gave up the idea of snatching her purse. | 半小时后,我完全放弃了偷钱包的念头 |
[19:00] | I wanted to tell her that I wasn’t with the Philharmonic… | 我很想告诉她我不是乐团成员 |
[19:03] | but she was so impressed by it. | 但是她如此深信 |
[19:06] | Once, she asked me some questions about Mozart… | 当他问到有关莫扎特的问题时 |
[19:09] | and she got suspicious because, for a minute, I couldn’t place the name. | 因为我的迷惑她有些怀疑 |
[19:13] | Don’t know, when it comes to women… | 我不知道怎么面对有个女孩 |
[19:15] | In prison, I remember the psychiatrist asked me if! had a girl, and I said, “No.” | 我记得在监狱有一个精神病学问我 有没有女朋友,我说没有 |
[19:20] | And he said, do I think that sex is dirty… | 接着他问我认为性骯脏吗? |
[19:23] | and I said, ‘Wt is, if you’re doing it right.” | 他说是如果你做的话 |
[19:26] | All I know is, my heart was really pounding… | 我只知道我心跳很快 |
[19:28] | and I felt… I felt a funny tingling all over. | 全身有种奇怪的刺痛 |
[19:33] | I was either in love, or I had smallpox. | 我不知道我是在谈恋爱还是发疹 |
[19:48] | – You wanna have dinner tonight? – Sure. | 今晚一起吃饭吗?好 |
[22:29] | You’re very beautiful. I really mean that. | 你真美,真的 |
[22:32] | Does it embarrass you when I say that? | 我这么说有什么问题吗?没什么 |
[22:36] | It does. | |
[22:38] | That’s a pretty hat. | 帽子真漂亮 |
[22:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[22:43] | – I see them all over town. – Do you? | 是的,在城里到处都是真的? |
[22:45] | You know, feather and the white. | 我怎么没看到 |
[22:49] | – I haven’t seen many. – They’re on sale downtown. | 真的,它正在热卖 |
[22:52] | I passed them as I was walking around the streets. | 我在街上走的时候看到的 |
[22:55] | There are millions of them. You know, in one of those bins. | 我看见它们放在柜里 |
[23:01] | Is that so? | 是吗 |
[23:04] | I could watch you eat all night. | 我看着你吃就行了 |
[23:08] | – But why? – I don’t know. | 为什么? |
[23:12] | You’re so pretty when you… | |
[23:29] | After dinner, we went for a walk. | 吃完饭我们出去走走 |
[23:32] | I asked her for a lock of her hair. | 我让她扎条辫子 |
[23:35] | We didn’t have a scissor, so I tried pulling it out. | 由于没带剪刀,我决定拔掉它 |
[23:38] | She was a good sport, I tell you. | 我告诉你,她是个好运动员 |
[23:40] | When she got excited, she stuttered. | 她一紧张就结巴 |
[23:44] | I think she was so cute that way. I like a girl who stutters. | 她这么可爱我喜欢结巴的女孩 |
[23:47] | They tum red, they’ re always gasping for breath. | 她经常气喘吁吁,满脸通红 |
[23:50] | It’s really sweet looking. | 她,她在洗衣房是个专家 |
[23:54] | She was an expert on laundry. She was fantastic. | 她好奇心很重 |
[23:57] | I offered to let her do my shorts, and she was very moved by that, I think. | 我让她帮我做条短裤 她比我想象的更活跃 |
[24:01] | She knew everything about underwear. | 他好像知道关于内衣裤的每件事 |
[24:03] | I never saw anybody who knew so much about socks and T-shirts. | 我从来没见过谁对短袜 和T恤知道这么多 |
[24:06] | She was some kind of genius that way. | 她在那方面有天赋 |
[24:22] | Good night, Virgil. | 晚…晚安,维吉尔 |
[24:32] | Continuing his deception, Virgil sees Louise more frequently. | 欺骗还在继续 维吉尔频各繁地和路易丝约会 |
[24:36] | When she questions him about his cello playing, he avoids the subject. | 当她问到大提琴的演奏时 他总是扯开话题 |
[24:42] | In order to better understand Louise, let us examine her background briefly. | 为了更了解路易丝 让我们简单看一下她的背景 |
[24:48] | Adopted at age two from a cruel and impoverished orphanage… | 她两岁时被人从贫穷的孤儿院领养 |
[24:51] | by a career military man and his wife… | 她的养父是个冷酷的军人 |
[24:54] | she was subjected to an upbringing of extreme discipline… | 她在严格的纪律约束下长大 |
[24:57] | which left her shy and withdrawn. | 这使她性格孤僻害羞 |
[25:00] | Never having a real home, she lived on army bases… | 她住在军营里,没有真正的家 |
[25:03] | while her father pursued a brilliant military career… | 虽然她父亲追求辉煌的军事生涯 |
[25:06] | that after 30 years catapulted him to the rank of corporal. | 但是30年后 这个军校毕业生的军衔还是下士 |
[25:11] | Her mother, an alcoholic, turns to religion for comfort… | 她母亲改变了宗教信仰 |
[25:14] | and quickly becomes a fanatic. | 很快变成一个狂热者 |
[25:16] | She responds to Louise’s need for love by beating the child… | 当路易丝需要爱的时候 她的答复是打骂 |
[25:20] | and claims to have conversations with God… | 她甚至想要和上帝对话 |
[25:23] | in which they discuss salvation and interior decorating. | 他们谈论怎么进行室内装修 |
[25:28] | Destitute and in love, Virgil attempts to change his life with one bold stroke. | 贫困的维吉尔为了爱试图通过一次 大胆的行动改变自己的生活 |
[25:49] | And if you’ll just take this to Window 9. | 如果这样您可以到第九号窗口 |
[25:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:00] | What does this say? | 这是什么? |
[26:04] | Can’t you read that? | 难道你不明白吗? |
[26:05] | I can’t read this. What’s this, “act natural”? | 我不明白这是什么?“AbtnaturaI”? |
[26:10] | It says, “Please put $50,000 into this bag and act natural.” | 不这是“把5万美元放进这个袋子里” actnaturaI(动作自然点) |
[26:14] | It does say “act natural.” | 这是说,“动作自然点”? |
[26:17] | “I am pointing a gun at you.” | 我用内脏对着你 |
[26:22] | That looks like “gub,” that doesn’t look like “gun.” | 这看上去是“gub” 看上去不像是“gun”(手枪) |
[26:24] | – No, it’s “gun.” – No, that’s “gub.” That’s a | 不,这是“gub”.那是个B |
[26:28] | No, that’s an It’s G-U-N. That’s “gun.” | 不你看,这是个N字GUN |
[26:33] | George, would you step over here a moment, please? | 乔治,请过来一下 |
[26:36] | What does this say? | 这写的是什么? |
[26:39] | “Please put $50,000..” | 请把5万美元放进这个袋子里abt |
[26:43] | “Into this bag and abt natural.” | |
[26:45] | – What’s “abt”? – It’s “act.” | 什么是“abt”?“act”(动作) |
[26:47] | Does this look like “gub” or “gun”? | 怎么这看上去像“gub” 或者“gun”(手枪)? |
[26:52] | “Gun.” But what’s “abt” mean? | “Gun”(手枪).你明白了 但“abt”,是什么意思? |
[26:54] | It’s “act.” A-C-T. “Act natural.” | 那是“act”,ACT,动作 |
[26:56] | “Please put $50,000 into this bag and act natural.” | 请把5万美元放进这个袋子里 动作自然点 |
[27:01] | – I see. This is a hold-up. – Yes. | 哦,我明白了,这是抢劫是的 |
[27:04] | May I see your gun? | 我可以看一下你的枪吗? |
[27:11] | You’ll have to have this note initialed by a vice president… | 你必须把这张字条作为字据 给我们的副总裁 |
[27:14] | before I can give you any money. | 在我给钱给你之前 |
[27:17] | I’m in a rush. | 我很急 |
[27:18] | – What? – I’m in a rush. | 什么?!你知道我很急 |
[27:20] | I’m sorry, but that’s our policy. | 我很抱歉,但这是我们的规定 |
[27:26] | The gentleman in the gray suit. | 那位穿灰色外套的先生 |
[27:29] | – That’s G-U-N. “I am pointing a gun at you.” – But that’s a That’s “gub.” | 我有枪我指着 |
[27:33] | That’s G-U-N. | 那是“gub”我正用枪指着你 |
[27:34] | – That’s a That’s “gub.” – No, excuse me, that’s | 那是B字 |
[27:37] | Miss Frank. | 不那是N.弗兰克小姐! |
[27:39] | “I am pointing a gun at you, abt natural.” | “我正用枪指着你Abt自然点” |
[27:43] | – What is “abt”? – No, that’s “act.” | 什么是“abt”?不,那是“动作” |
[27:44] | It couldn’t be. That’s a plain | 不不可能那是B |
[27:47] | No, I’m afraid not. That’s “act natural” and “I’m pointing a gun at you.” | 不,不,我想不是 那是自然点我正用枪指着你 |
[27:51] | Mr. Miller! | 米勒先生 |
[27:52] | “I am pointing a gub…” | “我用gub对着你” |
[27:55] | No, that’s “gun.” That’s G-U-N… | 不,那是手枪 手枪那是“我正用枪指着你” 这看上去像是B,实际是N |
[27:57] | That’s “gun.” “I am pointing a gun at you.” | |
[28:00] | It looks like a “b,” but it’s an | |
[28:04] | – Of course it is. That’s “gub.” – No, it isn’t. | |
[28:09] | – It couldn’t be. – It has to be. | |
[28:11] | We discussed this inside, a short while ago. | |
[28:21] | Hello, Louise? | 你好,路易丝 |
[28:24] | Listen, I can’t make our date today. | 听着,今天我不能赴约了 |
[28:25] | I’ve got to go up to Boston to give a concert. | 我马上要去波士顿举办一个音乐会 |
[28:29] | Why don’t I give you a call in about… | 我又一段时间不能给你打电话了,大概 |
[28:32] | About 10 years. | 10年 |
[28:42] | Virgil Starkwell is apprehended in the act of bank robbery. | 维吉尔要为抢劫银行好好反省 |
[28:45] | He is given 10 years at the state’s strictest maximum-security prison. | 他要在全国最严格最安全的监狱待10年 |
[28:50] | It is here that he mingles with hardened criminals for the first time. | 在这里他要和最冷酷的罪犯呆在一起 |
[29:03] | “”A prison has not been built that can hold me…” | 能关住我的监狱还没有建成 |
[29:06] | Virgil tells another inmate, “And I’ll get out of this one…” | 他对同室的一个罪犯说 |
[29:09] | “if it means spending my entire life here.” | 我一定要逃出去 不然我就要在这里度过余生 |
[29:26] | After all, what a child becomes is according to what his environment is… | 毕竟,一个孩子怎么变得 |
[29:31] | what his background is. Let’s face it, it was our fault. | 面对现实吧,这是我们的错 |
[29:35] | Would you let a man say a word or two? | 你能让别人说 |
[29:37] | I knew. There was a day when I said, “This kid is rotten.” | 我知道总有一天我会说这家伙堕落了 |
[29:41] | You know the expression “a rotten kid”? That’s what this kid is. | 你知道那种表情,堕落的家伙? 那家伙是什么 |
[29:45] | – I knew when he was… – Whose genes did he have? | 那一定和基因有关基因? |
[29:47] | – What genes? – And chromosomes? What? Don’t talk fancy in front of the man… | 不要在别人面前胡说 |
[29:52] | because, you know, you’ll make an impression… | 因为你知道,你可能会造成一种印象而且 |
[29:56] | The time passes slowly for Virgil… | 时间对于维吉尔过得很慢 |
[29:58] | who works hard and tries to adjust to prison life. | 他努力工作并且试着适应监狱生活 |
[30:02] | He becomes a model prisoner and is put to work in the laundry. | 他成了模范囚犯,被调到洗衣间 |
[31:34] | – Visitor, Starkwell. – For me? | 维吉尔斯塔克维尔 叫我? |
[31:55] | I’m not with the Philharmonic. | 我不是音乐爱好者 |
[31:59] | I know. | 我知道 |
[32:01] | – I’m sorry. – It’s okay, Virgil. | 对不起 |
[32:05] | You don’t mind that I came to see you, do you? | 没关系维吉尔你不介意我来看你对吗? |
[32:07] | No, I’m happy to see you. | 不介意,见到你我很高兴 |
[32:10] | God, how’d you find out I was here? | 但你怎么知道我在这里? |
[32:13] | I called up your landlady. | 我打电话给你的房东她告诉我的 |
[32:15] | She told me where you were. She said that… | 她说 |
[32:19] | Did you rob a bank? | 维吉尔,你抢劫银行? |
[32:22] | I did not rob a bank. | 我没有抢到银行如果我抢到了银行 |
[32:24] | If I had robbed a bank, everything would be great. | 一切就不一样了 |
[32:27] | – What did you do? – I tried to rob a bank, that’s what happened. | 那么,你干了什么? 我想抢银行,我想一下发生了什么 |
[32:31] | And they got me. I misspelled the note. | 他们抓住了我我写错了一张纸条 维吉尔 |
[32:38] | Can you bake? | 你会作蛋糕吗? |
[32:41] | Yeah? | |
[32:43] | I need a cake. | 我需要一个蛋糕 |
[32:46] | A big cake, like a chocolate layer cake. | 一个大蛋糕一个巧克力蛋糕 |
[32:49] | You’re allergic to chocolate. | 维吉尔,你对巧克力过敏 |
[32:51] | I need a cake with a gun in it. | 我想要一个里面有枪的蛋糕 |
[32:53] | I’ll bake you a cake but I won’t put the gun in. | 我会为你做一个蛋糕并且把枪方里面 |
[32:56] | Then I’d like about a dozen chocolate-chip cookies with a bullet in each. | 我要一打巧克力甜饼芯 每个里面一颗子弹 |
[33:01] | How long are you going to be here? | 你在这呆多久? |
[33:04] | Well… | 我估计 |
[33:06] | I estimate in the neighborhood of… | |
[33:11] | What’s today, Monday? | 今天星期几,星期一? |
[33:13] | Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday… Ten years. | 星期二! |
[33:21] | Is it possible that you could wait for me? | 你会等我吗? |
[33:24] | Yes. If you want me to. | 会的,如果你想我等你 |
[33:28] | With Louise to inspire him… | 在路易丝的鼓舞下,维吉尔工作更努力 |
[33:30] | Virgil works hard and becomes more optimistic. | 变得更乐观 |
[33:34] | She comes frequently for the next few months. | 没过几个月她又来了 |
[33:40] | He complains about the food, and she brings him home-cooked meals. | 他抱怨食物不好,她带来了家常菜 |
[33:53] | Louise’s impact on Virgil is discussed here by Dr. Julius Epstein… | 在这里朱利叶斯.爱泼斯坦博士正在 讨论路易丝对维吉尔的影响 |
[33:57] | one-time prison psychiatrist who recalls Virgil. | 有一次囚犯精神病学家回忆起维吉尔 |
[34:01] | Louise meant a great deal to Virgil. | 从精神病学的观点来看路易丝 |
[34:03] | From a psychiatric point of view… | 对维吉尔很重要 |
[34:05] | his love for her was the healthiest thing in his life. | 他对她的爱是他生命中最健康的事 |
[34:09] | It was genuine and clean. | 那是诚恳的,清白的 |
[34:12] | Not like some patients I know. | 不像我知道的一些病人 |
[34:15] | She ain’t gonna wait, Virgil. | 她不会等维吉尔 |
[34:17] | They think they can, but they never do. | 他们认为自己可以做到,但他们不能 |
[34:21] | You know, I become eligible for parole in a year and a half. | 你们知道我有一年半的假释 |
[34:24] | Yeah? That’s nice. | 是的,没错 |
[34:26] | With any luck, in maybe two or three years, you’ll get out of here? | 幸运的话,或许是两年 三年甚至离开这里,对吗 |
[34:29] | It could be a lot shorter. | 或者更短 |
[34:32] | What do you mean? | 你是什么意思? |
[34:33] | He means we got this proposition we wanna talk over with you. | 我们有事要和你详细谈谈 |
[34:37] | What kind of proposition? | 有什么事 |
[34:39] | Like next week, five of us are gonna make it out of here. | 就像下个星期我们五个人会逃出这里 |
[34:42] | We need an extra man. | 现在我们需要另一个人 |
[34:44] | It’s all set. By next week, we could be miles away from this zoo. | 都准备好了下个星期,我们就会离开这里 |
[34:48] | You guys have got to be kidding. We’d never get out of here, they’d kill us. | 你们一定是在开玩笑我们不可能逃走 他们会杀了我们 |
[34:53] | – We got out of rougher places than this. – Why don’t you just think about it? | 那总比呆在这里强 你为什么不考虑一下? |
[34:58] | Ain’t no broad gonna wait around for years for you. | 否则你将永远呆在这里 |
[35:01] | No matter what she tells you in that visiting hall. | 不论她在监狱里对你说什么 |
[35:07] | I think the conflict in this personality disorder… | 我想这种个人矛盾 |
[35:10] | sort of started from his formative years. | 取决于他的个人性格 |
[35:13] | I think that it gave evidence in his choice of the cello, for instance. | 我想这明显地表现在他对大提琴的选择 |
[35:17] | Studying the cello at the age of six. | 例如,6岁时学大提琴 |
[35:19] | He was coming out of the formative years, but the conflict is there within the choice… | 正好显示了个性化的年龄 但是矛盾在于他的抉择 |
[35:24] | because it’s generally assumed that the cello is a phallic symbol. | 因为总体来说大提琴是生殖器的象征 |
[35:27] | I mean, with the grasp… | 我是指握着的时候 |
[35:30] | But the lower structural form is certainly feminine… | 当然是最初的阴柔的 |
[35:34] | and, if anything, motherly. | 如果一些母性的 |
[35:37] | In fact, the utilization of the bow, I would imagine… | 实际上,弓的利用 |
[35:42] | is the sublimation of stroking a torso. | 我可以想象是一种击打的变形 |
[35:45] | So, between the grasping of the phallic… | 所以握着这种琴把和弓 |
[35:49] | and the stroking of the torso would create, I would imagine… | 有创造力,我想就会有矛盾 |
[35:52] | great conflict even at the age of six. | 即使只有6岁 |
[36:05] | Virgil Starkwell becomes part of an escape plot. | 维吉尔.斯塔克维尔成为逃跑组织的一员 |
[36:08] | His every move becomes tense and strained. | 他的一举一动都很紧张 |
[36:47] | Take the guards on our floor with us, so be ready if there’s trouble. | 警卫时刻都盯着我们所以只有制造混乱 |
[36:51] | I don’t understand how we’re gonna get past the main tower. | 我还是不知道我们怎么逃过警卫塔 |
[36:54] | We’re gonna be dressed as guards. | 我们穿上警卫的服装 |
[36:56] | That’s why Friday at noon, because you work in the laundry… | 所以你星期五中午在洗衣房工作 |
[36:59] | – you’re gonna steal the guard’s underwear. – What? | 你要把警卫的内衣裤偷出来 什么?我? |
[37:02] | We already got some uniforms stashed in a dark room. | 我们已经把一些制服的藏在密室里 |
[37:05] | I don’t understand. Why do you need the underwear? | 我不明白 既然你们已经有制服 为什么还要警卫的内衣裤? |
[37:08] | We want to do this as realistically as possible. | 我们想尽可能作的像真的一样 |
[37:11] | I’m known for my detailed work. | 我做事一直都很周密 |
[37:18] | Forward in twos! | |
[37:54] | – Sir, we can’t find our underwear. – I think something’s up. | 警官,我们找不到我们的内衣裤 我想可能有事发生 |
[37:59] | We better keep our eyes open. | 我们最好小心点 |
[38:03] | The warden knows something is up. Better call off the break. | 典狱官好像知道了什么 我们最好取消行动 |
[38:06] | What? | 什么? |
[38:08] | I said the warden knows something’s up, we better call off the break. | 我说,典狱官知道有事发生取消行动 |
[38:12] | It’s all set for tonight. | 今晚一切都准备好了我们不能冒险 |
[38:13] | It’s too risky. We can’t take a chance. | |
[38:18] | Tell Virgil. I’ll tell the rest of these guys. | 告诉查尔斯 |
[38:24] | The break’s off. The Warden knows something’s up. We’ll try it again next week. | 嘿,查尔斯,典狱官知道有事发生 我们下个星期行动 |
[38:34] | The Warden wants to see you. | 典狱官想见你 |
[38:36] | – What for? – Come on! | 为什么?走吧! |
[38:43] | Michael Sullivan, an ex-convict and one of the leaders of the break… | 迈克尔.苏利文 一个坐过牢的人,一个领导者 |
[38:46] | describes that fateful day. | 描述了忠实的一天 |
[38:49] | I told all the other guys that the break was off… | 我告诉别的人,行动取消了 |
[38:52] | but I forgot to tell Virgil. | 但我忘了告诉维吉尔 |
[38:55] | I don’t know why I forgot. | 我不知道为什么会忘了没人告诉他 |
[38:59] | Nobody ever told him. | |
[39:09] | – All ready. – What? | 已经准备好了! 什么? |
[40:08] | There’s a break in the north cell block. Notify the warden immediately. | 北单元有人越狱马上通知典狱官 |
[40:26] | Where is everybody? | 嘿,你们在哪? |
[40:28] | We’ve called the break off! | 他们取消了越狱! |
[40:31] | – You called the break off? – Yeah! | 他们取消了越狱?是的! |
[40:33] | Why didn’t somebody tell me? | 为什么没人通知我?维吉尔想一个人越狱! |
[40:35] | Virgil’s out there by himself! | |
[40:42] | Could somebody possibly sneak downstairs and let me back in? | 还有人背落下吗? |
[41:12] | – All right, Warden, I got your daughter! – Please hold your fire, men! | 看,我抓住了你女儿! 别开枪! |
[41:17] | Let me go, or she gets it! | 放我出去,否则我杀了她! |
[41:19] | What is she doing down there? | 她在那干什么? |
[41:22] | She was kissing Kowalski. | 她在和柯瓦斯盖接吻 |
[41:25] | – Is Kowalski a midget? – No! | 柯瓦斯盖是个侏儒吗?不是! |
[41:29] | – He’s not a midget. – What’d he say? | 他不是侏儒 |
[41:31] | He’s not a midget. | |
[41:51] | – Can I have a taxi, please? – First one in line’s next. | 我想要辆计程车到那里看一下 |
[42:41] | On July 11th, Virgil and Louise marry. | 7月11日,维吉尔和路易丝结婚了 |
[42:44] | It is a simple ceremony, following what he later described… | 那是个简单的婚礼 |
[42:47] | as a deeply moving blood test. | 根据他后来的描述,非常感人 |
[42:50] | This was the happiest moment of my life. | 这是我一生最快乐的时刻 |
[42:53] | I just wish my parents could have been there. | 我很希望我的父母能够在场 |
[42:55] | We weren’t aware of it. | 我们不知道 |
[42:56] | Am I right? Say it, be honest. | 没错吧!诚实!说呀!他只是个废物 |
[42:59] | He turned out to be a punk. | |
[43:04] | They take up residence in another state… | 他们迁到另一个国家居住 |
[43:06] | and living on Louise’s small savings… | 我们靠路易丝微薄的积蓄度日 |
[43:08] | they move into a cheaply furnished flat. | 他们住在一套简单的公寓里 |
[43:11] | They are poor, but for the moment at least, safe from the law. | 他们穷,但至少可以暂时逃避法律的制裁 |
[43:16] | When these innocent pictures were taken… | 当这些天真的画面出现时 |
[43:18] | they were both unaware of the incredible series of events… | 他们都不希望有什么事发生 |
[43:21] | that were to come. | 怎么了维吉尔? |
[45:10] | – What’s the matter, Virgil? – I got a cramp in the arch of my foot. What? | 我那抽筋什么? |
[45:15] | A little hard ball came out in the arch of my foot. | 我的脚也抽筋 |
[45:18] | Why does that always happen every time we make love? | 为什么每次我们做爱时都这样? |
[45:21] | Jesus. | 噢,上帝! |
[45:24] | As a wanted criminal, Virgil finds it harder than ever to find employment. | 作为一个通缉犯 维吉尔发现自己很难找工作 |
[45:28] | He secures a little work, selling encyclopedias door-to-door… | 他挨家挨户的推销百科全书 |
[45:32] | but the job proves too much for him. | 这件工作对他是个考验 |
[45:35] | He is forced to take to the streets… | 他被迫走上街头 |
[45:37] | and for a while he earns a meager living selling meagers. | 一段时间他靠微薄的收入生活 |
[45:44] | We’re going to have a baby. | 我们想要一个小孩 |
[45:48] | – Get out of here. – No, we’re going to have a baby. | 在这里! |
[45:52] | I went to the doctor. We’re going to have a baby. | 不,我们就会有个孩子 我去看了医生,我们就要有孩子了 |
[45:55] | That’s my present for Christmas. | 这是给我父母的圣诞礼物 |
[45:59] | All I needed was a tie. | 我只需要一条领带 |
[46:03] | Aren’t you happy? | 你不高兴吗?我不信 |
[46:06] | – I don’t believe it. – Virgil, really. | 不,维吉尔,这是真的怎么可能? |
[46:08] | How did it happen? What do you mean, how did it happen? | 你是什么意思,怎么可能? |
[46:14] | You mean because… | 你是指,我们,晚上 |
[46:18] | of that night when the two of us… | 当我们两个 |
[46:23] | And that’s what happened? | 怎么可能? |
[46:27] | In the spring, Virgil and Louise are blessed with a son. | 那个春天维吉尔和路易丝生了个儿子 |
[46:30] | They name the boy Jonathan Ralph Starkwell, after Virgil’s mother. | 他们给他取名乔纳森.拉夫尔.斯塔克维尔 按维吉尔的母亲命名 |
[46:53] | Virgil and Louise move to a new state and try to start over. | 维吉尔和路易丝搬到一个 新的国家重新开始 |
[46:57] | Virgil has the usual trouble finding work. | 维吉尔还是很难找工作 |
[47:00] | Finally he hears of an opening in an insurance office… | 最后他听说一家保险公司在招人 |
[47:03] | and, his back against the wall… | 他没有退路 |
[47:05] | he attempts to lie his way into the job. | 他想骗取这份工作 |
[47:12] | Please sit down. | 请坐 |
[47:19] | Name, please? | 请问你叫什么名字 |
[47:22] | John Q. Public. | 约翰.帕布里克 |
[47:25] | That’s P-U-B-L-I-C. | |
[47:28] | Mr. Public, have you had any experience working in an office before? | 帕布里克先生,有工作经验吗? |
[47:33] | Yes, I have. | 是的,有 |
[47:36] | What kind of office was it? | 那是家什么公司? |
[47:39] | Rectangular. | 矩形 |
[47:42] | Have you ever had any experience in running… | 您有没有 |
[47:45] | a high-speed digital-electronic computer? | 使用过高科技数字电脑 |
[47:49] | Yes, I have. | 我使用过 |
[47:52] | Where? | 在哪? |
[47:55] | My aunt has one. | 我阿姨有一台 |
[47:57] | And what does your aunt do? | 你阿姨是干什么的? |
[48:01] | I can’t recall. | 我想不起来了 |
[48:03] | You said before you worked in an office. | 你说你曾经在一家公司工作过 |
[48:05] | – Did you deal in products or services? – Products. | 你是属于生产部门还是服务部门? 生产部门 |
[48:10] | Is this something found in the home? | 是家庭作坊吗? |
[48:13] | No, it’s not. It’s one down and nine to go. | 不,不是.一点下班九点上班 |
[48:17] | Is this product edible? | 这种产品可有食用吗? |
[48:19] | No, I’m afraid it wasn’t. | 不,不能 |
[48:21] | I think our time has run out… | 我看时间到了 |
[48:24] | and I’m sorry to say you haven’t guessed my occupation. | 你还没有猜出我的职业 |
[48:27] | So, I’m going to flip all the cards and tell you what I used to do. | 所以我决定告诉你我以前是干什么的 |
[48:30] | I used to manufacture escalator shoes… | 我以前生产自动鞋 |
[48:32] | for people who were nauseous in elevator shoes. | 给你些讨厌的人 |
[48:35] | I’m sorry you didn’t actually get my occupation… | 我很抱歉,你没有猜出我的职业 |
[48:39] | but you did win $10. | 但你可以得到10美元奖励 |
[48:41] | I want to thank you very much. Better luck next time. You’re a good sport. | 非常感谢,祝你下次好运 |
[48:47] | Hiding his past from his fellow employees… | 你真有体育精神 对同事隐瞒他的过去 |
[48:49] | Virgil does well at his first decent job, the mail room. | 维吉尔的第一份正当工作在邮局 |
[48:54] | His past catches up with him, however… | 他做得很好 |
[48:56] | as a fellow employee learns of his criminal record. | 但他仍然摆脱不了他的过去 因为有个同事查到了他的犯罪记录 |
[49:00] | What are you doing for dinner, Mr. Public? | 你和谁一起吃晚饭,帕布里克先生? |
[49:02] | Miss Blair! I’m having dinner with my wife. Why? | 布莱尔小姐,我和我太太一起 有什么事吗? |
[49:05] | We’re having dinner, Mr. Public. | 你们在哪吃,帕布里克先生? |
[49:07] | No, I said I was having dinner with my wife. | 不,我说了我和我太太一起吃 |
[49:10] | I found this picture in a magazine. | 我在一本杂志上看到这张照片 |
[49:13] | One word from me, and you’re back in prison. Okay? | 我一句话就可以让你回监狱,对吗? |
[49:18] | What do you feel like eating? | 你想吃什么? |
[49:19] | Virgil Starkwell becomes the victim of a blackmail plot. | 维吉尔.斯塔克维尔变成了勒索对象 |
[49:23] | Miss Blair, confident of her power to expose him… | 贝莱尔小姐确信她获得金钱的权力 |
[49:26] | begins making small demands for money. | |
[49:29] | These increase as time goes on. | 数量随着时间的推移而增加 |
[49:32] | Everything that he holds dear to him is in jeopardy. | 他的一切都处于危险之中 |
[49:34] | His life and family hang on the whim of an unstable woman. | 他的生命和家庭都掌握在一个 不可靠的女人手中 |
[49:38] | He is driven to desperation… | 他绝望了 |
[49:40] | and with the responsibility of a wife and child to protect… | 为了尽好保护妻子和孩子的义务 |
[49:44] | Virgil Starkwell contemplates murder. | 维吉尔.斯塔克维尔在策划一次谋杀 |
[49:47] | What would you like to drink? | 你想和点什么? |
[49:50] | What do you have? | 你有什么? |
[49:52] | How about some sherry? I have some very fine sherry. | 来点葡萄酒怎么样 我有一些很好的葡萄酒 |
[50:02] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了? |
[50:05] | Did you hurt your hand? | 你的手受伤了? |
[50:08] | Clumsy. | 真笨!我一点事都没有 |
[50:10] | I’ll be right in. | |
[50:15] | Disguising two sticks of dynamite as candles… | 把两根雷管伪装成蜡烛 |
[50:18] | he sends Miss Blair an anonymous gift. | 他给贝莱尔小姐送了件匿名礼物 |
[50:25] | The plot fails, however… | 但是他的计划失败了,因为他设计的炸药 |
[50:26] | as he makes the dynamite too thick to fit into the candlesticks. | 太细而放不进烛台 |
[50:31] | Determined to rid himself of the blackmailer… | 为了除掉勒索他的人 |
[50:34] | he rents a car and attempts to run her over. | 他租了一辆车想撞死她 |
[51:02] | I think somebody’s trying to kill me. | 我想有人要杀我 |
[51:05] | Don’t be silly. | 真蠢 |
[51:06] | When I came home from work last night, there was a car in my living room… | 昨晚我下班回家时 |
[51:10] | and it tried to run me over. | 一辆车在我的客厅想撞死我 |
[51:11] | – It must be your imagination. – No. | 一辆车?那一定是你的幻觉不 |
[51:14] | – Who’d try and kill you? – I don’t know. I have no enemies. | 谁想杀你?我不知道我又没仇人 |
[51:17] | – You didn’t tell anybody, did you? – No. | 你没有告诉别人吧?没有 |
[51:21] | You can do the carving. | 你可以切了 |
[51:38] | Can’t you wait? I mean, you eat like an animal. | 维吉尔! |
[51:41] | It’s delicious, really. | 你就不能等一下吗?我是说你吃起来像野兽 真好吃,真的 |
[51:43] | I’ll get the salad dressing, we’ll make a toast… | 我抹点色拉,我们先吃面包 |
[51:46] | and then you start on that turkey leg. | 但你先吃火鸡腿 |
[52:14] | What are you doing in there? | 你在那干什么? |
[52:16] | I’m just creating the proper atmosphere, dear. | 只是为了制造点气氛 |
[52:19] | I’m a sucker for atmosphere. | 我很喜欢有气氛 |
[52:20] | – Why don’t you carve the turkey? – Yes, of course, my darling. | 把火鸡切开吧好的,亲爱的 |
[52:25] | Someone sent these as a gift, but they were too big to use… | 有人送了件礼物过来 |
[52:27] | so I shaved off the bottom. | 它们太大了,我把底下切了一点 |
[52:34] | With law enforcement agencies on his trail… | 在法律的压力下他不得不逃跑 |
[52:37] | Virgil takes his family and heads south. | 维吉尔带着他全家往南走 |
[52:39] | Here, they manage to secure cheap lodging temporarily. | 他们想找一个安全便宜的临时住处 |
[52:45] | This was really a desperate time in my life. We had no money. | 这真的是我一生中最绝望的时候 我们没钱 |
[52:50] | I tried mugging old ladies, but I got hit in the groin with a crutch. | 我想试图抢劫老太婆 但是我却被拐杖打在了腹股沟上 |
[52:55] | Didn’t know what to do. I tried counterfeiting for a while. | 我不知道怎么办.我还是伪装了一段时间 |
[52:58] | I just got the plates all fouled up and everything… | 我把盘子,什么东西都弄的一团糟 |
[53:01] | and Lincoln came out smoking a cigarette. | 一次林克刁着根烟出来 |
[53:04] | I robbed a butcher shop. That was the best I could do. | 我抢劫了一个屠宰店.那是我最在行的 |
[53:07] | I got away with 116 veal cutlets. | 我拿走了116块牛肉 |
[53:10] | Then I had to go out and rob a tremendous amount of breeding. | 然后我得出去抢一大堆面包 |
[53:26] | Their money gone, and with food scarce… | 他们的钱花光了,没有吃的 |
[53:29] | the Starkwells live like hunted animals. | 斯塔克维尔一家过得就像背追逐的野兽 |
[54:05] | – You weren’t very happy then? – No, this was the low point of my existence. | 我们那时不是很快乐 这是我生命的最低潮 |
[54:09] | I was thinking of getting out of crime altogether… | 我在考虑怎样从罪恶中解脱 |
[54:12] | maybe becoming a singer or something. | 也许会变成一个歌手或是其他什么 |
[54:14] | Must’ve been a very tough decision for you to make. | 你必须做出艰难的决定 |
[54:17] | Yeah, it was really tough… | 那的确很艰难,但我一家人就快饿死了 |
[54:20] | but my family was starving, and I had already filed for bankruptcy. | 我马上就要崩溃 |
[54:24] | I see. | 我明白你有什么想法抹? |
[54:27] | What prompted you to go on? | 我忽然觉得抢劫奇异 |
[54:28] | I came up with an idea for a robbery that was so fantastic and so brilliant… | 抢劫之后是多么的辉煌 |
[54:33] | that when it was over, it was considered a real work of art… | 那是真正的艺术作品 |
[54:36] | by all the guys in my cell block. | 由我囚室里的那些家伙创造 |
[54:38] | – They must’ve looked up to you. – Well, you know, these guys are mugs. | 他们肯定在仰视你他们都是疯子 |
[54:45] | I’m gonna rob a bank. | 我要去抢劫一家银行 |
[54:49] | No, Virgil, not again. | 维吉尔,别再去了 |
[54:51] | Yes, I think so. | 我想那是我们摆脱困境的唯一出路 |
[54:53] | I think that our only way out of this mess is for me to… | 对我来说在罗斯郡那是家小银行 |
[54:56] | There’s a little dinky bank in Ross County… | 我想如果我能找到一两个好伙伴 |
[54:59] | and I think if I can get two or three good men… | 我就能成功 |
[55:01] | I can get in there and get it… | 我们就可以去墨西哥和加拿大并且 |
[55:02] | and we could go down to Mexico or up to Canada or… | 维吉尔,如果你被打死了怎么办? |
[55:08] | – But what if you got killed? – No, don’t worry. I know how to use a gub. | 不用担心 什么都不用担心我知道怎么用gub |
[55:12] | No, it’s “gun,” Virgil. | 不维吉尔,那是枪枪,对不起 |
[55:13] | – “Gun,” I’m sorry. Did I say “gub” again? – Yes. | 对! |
[55:28] | Don’t turn around. | 别回头 |
[55:31] | I wanna speak to you about a business proposition. | 我想和你谈件大买卖 |
[55:39] | It’s a bank job. | 它和银行有关 |
[55:42] | Couple of guys and myself are gonna get together… | 有几个人和我打算 |
[55:44] | about four weeks from now. Quarter of a million dollars. | 一起在四个星期之后 |
[55:48] | We walk in and take it like that. | 抢一百万美元随随便便就可以抢到! |
[55:50] | It’s an easy job. See, we just pull up… | 那非常容易想象一下我们只要拿着钱走 |
[55:54] | take it. | |
[56:02] | How long have you been… | 你在这多久了?我是说银行 |
[56:05] | Because I said the part about the bank. | |
[56:12] | You guys are dressing alike again. | 你们还是穿得和以前一样 |
[56:19] | I broke it myself. | 你看,我自己踩碎它 |
[56:22] | All the boys in the neighborhood went wrong. It wasn’t his fault. | 邻居家的孩子都不会和他一样 不是他的错,我们没时间照顾他 |
[56:25] | We didn’t have time for him. We were working. | 我们工作太忙 |
[56:27] | Would you like to see my stamp collection? | 您想看看我的邮册吗? 你说你的邮册干什么? |
[56:29] | – What do you mean? – I have a collection of stamps. | 我有一本邮册 |
[56:33] | First he selects an appropriate bank. | 首先,他选择了一家合适的银行 |
[56:36] | Next, he cases the bank by cleverly concealing a camera… | 接着他用一架隐藏的相机拍了些照片 |
[56:39] | in an unsuspected place. | 在一个不引人注意的地方 |
[56:50] | That night, a meeting takes place. | 那个晚上,他们开了一个会 |
[56:52] | Among the ones chosen are some of the most sinister names in the underworld. | 在选中的人中有些可怕的名字 在黑社会里 |
[56:56] | William Ommers, wanted by the police for bank robbery… | 威廉埃米兹,因为抢劫银行被警察通缉 |
[57:00] | assault with a deadly weapon, murder, and getting naked in front of his in-laws. | 持枪伤人 |
[57:08] | Frankie Wolf: | 谋杀,但证据不足无法定罪 |
[57:09] | wanted by Federal authorities for dancing with a mailman. | 弗兰克.沃福,联邦作家想跟邮差跳舞 |
[57:15] | Abie Armstrong: | A.D.阿姆斯壮,他想把整个国家 |
[57:16] | wanted all over the country for arson, robbery… | 都给他的孩子,抢劫 |
[57:19] | assault with intent to kill, and marrying a horse. | 袭击企图杀人,并且喜欢作弄人 |
[57:30] | All right, boys. | 好吧各位让我们讨论一下联邦银行 |
[57:32] | We’re gonna talk about the Union Fidelity Bank. June 16… | 6月16日,上午10点 |
[57:38] | 10 a.m. | 我们将要看一部关于联邦银行的电影 |
[57:39] | What you’re about to see are films of the Union Fidelity Bank. | 我们将要看一部关于联邦银行的电影 |
[57:43] | We’re gonna see them just once. | 我们马上开始 |
[57:45] | Then, to destroy the evidence, we’re gonna eat the film. | 为了毁灭证据我们要把这部电影吃掉 |
[57:48] | It’ll be buffet style and you can help yourself. Take plates. | 它具有搏斗风格,你们可以随意 |
[57:51] | There’s potato salad over there, and my wife made coffee. | 你们可以加些番茄酱 我妻子还准备了咖啡 |
[57:54] | These films could save your lives. | 这部电影也许会拯救你们的生命 |
[58:08] | There’s always a boring short. | 这部电影真令人讨厌 |
[58:12] | He’d have the gang over for meetings. | 他组织那帮人开了一次会 |
[58:16] | I’d put out little trays of pretzels and bullets. | 我准备了一些脆饼和一些子弹 |
[58:22] | I had to. He’s my husband. | 我必须这样,他是我丈夫 |
[58:24] | We got this film camera. | 这部电影是用照相机拍的 |
[58:26] | We got lights, we got a truck. | 我们有灯光,有辆卡车 |
[58:29] | The idea is we pull up in front of the bank and we look like we’re making a movie. | 这个主意是我在银行门前想到的 我们假装在拍电影 |
[58:33] | We play the actors. | 我们作演员我们需要一个人作导演 |
[58:35] | All we need is somebody to be the director. I got the perfect guy. | 去你的!我有个合适的人选! |
[58:43] | An ex-con I did some time with by the name of… Fritz. | 我认识一个坐过牢的人,他叫弗里兹 |
[58:49] | I’ll be the director. | 我来做这个导演我以前就是个导演 |
[58:51] | I once was a film director. | 很多年前,还是无声电影的时候 |
[58:54] | Many years ago, before movies had sound. | 我和约翰尼.吉尔伯特 |
[58:56] | I worked with John Gilbert, Rudolph Valentino, and Ruth and Gehrig. | 安东尼奥.瓦伦迪诺 洛伊斯.加里特是同事 |
[59:00] | Ruth and Gehrig were baseball players. | 洛伊斯.加里特是棒球运动员 |
[59:02] | I was also bat boy for the Yankees. | 我也是美国佬 |
[59:09] | The fools in Hollywood, they didn’t recognize genius. | 好莱坞的那些笨蛋根本不知道尊重天才 |
[59:15] | But now, I shall wear the uniform of a director once again. | 但是现在,我将再次穿上制服 就像以前一样 |
[59:19] | And you will be my actor. | 你是我的演员 |
[59:23] | You will enter the bank and say, “Up with your hands, this is a stickup.” | 你走进去说,“把手举起来,这是抢劫” |
[59:27] | Thereby announcing our theme: men’s greed. | 再宣布我们的计划 |
[59:32] | Now say it. Let me hear the line. | 现在试试让我们听一下 |
[59:35] | – Up with your hands, this is a stickup. – No! More feeling. Again, now. | 把手举起来,这是抢劫 |
[59:41] | – This is a bank robbery, not a movie. – Yes, of course. | 不!要有感情再来 |
[59:46] | Forgive me. | 嗯,弗里兹,这是抢银行不是演电影 |
[59:48] | I will be fine when the time comes. Thank you all. | 噢,当然,当然 |
[59:53] | Everybody, take five. | 呕,别在意到时候我会好好干的 |
[1:00:10] | Don’t tell me you’re gonna use the shower now. | 谢谢找第五个 你别告诉我你正在淋浴 |
[1:00:13] | Why do you do this to me every morning? I just got in here. | 维吉尔,为什么你每天都这么问我? 我刚开始淋 |
[1:00:16] | I’m gonna be late for the robbery. | 好了,我会耽误抢劫的 |
[1:00:19] | So you’ll be five minutes late. They can start without you. | 再等五分钟没有你他们走不了 |
[1:00:22] | They can’t start without me. I’m the leader. | 没有我他们走不了,我是首领 |
[1:00:24] | – I made you some coffee. – Jesus! | 我给你准备了一些咖啡噢!上帝! |
[1:00:28] | Everyday I have trouble getting in the bathroom. For crying out loud! | 噢,上帝!我每天去浴室都有麻烦 大声地哭吧! |
[1:00:37] | – Honey, what shirt do you want to wear? – What’d you say? | 亲爱的,你想穿哪件衬衫? 你说什么? |
[1:00:40] | I said, what shirt do you want to wear? | 我说你想穿哪件衬衫? |
[1:00:43] | I’m gonna wear my light blue. | 我要穿那件浅蓝色的 |
[1:00:46] | No, you’re not. It was dirty. I washed it last night. | 不行太脏了,被我昨晚洗掉了 |
[1:00:49] | Why did you wash it? I was gonna wear it today. | 你为什么洗掉它?我准备今天穿的 |
[1:00:51] | I washed it because it was dirty. | 那是因为它太脏了 |
[1:00:53] | So what? I’m just gonna rob a bank. | 什么,我要去抢银行我刚好 |
[1:00:55] | I’ve ironed the beige one. Do you wanna wear that? | 准备了那件浅褐色的衬衫 穿那件怎么样? |
[1:00:57] | – Not to a bank robbery. – Why not? | 不,我不能穿一件浅褐色的衬衫 去抢银行为什么不能? |
[1:00:59] | Because it’s light. I’ll be an easy target. | 因为它太浅了我很容易成靶子 |
[1:01:02] | – I think it’s a perfectly good shirt to wear. – No, it isn’t. | 我认为它很适合 不,不行,它是褐色 |
[1:01:05] | – Who wears beige to a bank robbery? – What are the other guys wearing? | 谁会穿褐色的衣服去抢银行 其他人穿什么颜色的衣服? |
[1:01:08] | I don’t know. For crying out loud. | 我不知道? |
[1:01:11] | Why don’t you call them up and ask them? | 你为什么不把他们叫上来问问? |
[1:01:13] | Nobody’s gonna be wearing beige to a bank robbery. It’s in poor taste. | 呕,没人会穿褐色的衣服去抢银行 |
[1:01:26] | June 16th, 9:00 a.m. The days of planning are over. | 品味真差 6月16日上午9点这一天终于来到了 |
[1:01:30] | Virgil and his accomplices depart from his hideout… | 维吉尔和他的同谋从他的藏身之处出发 |
[1:01:32] | and proceed toward their destination. | 进行他们的计划 |
[1:02:09] | Everybody get your hands up! This is a stickup. | 把手举起来,这是抢劫! |
[1:02:19] | What are you doing here? | 嘿,你们在这里干什么? |
[1:02:21] | – We’re holding up the bank. | – We’re holding up the bank. 我们在抢劫银行我们也在抢劫银行 |
[1:02:23] | – No, sorry, we’re holding up the bank. – We are holding up the bank! | 呕,不,对不起,我们正在抢劫银行 我们也正在抢劫银行 |
[1:02:27] | No, we were here first. | 呕,不我们先来 |
[1:02:28] | Could you come back tomorrow? We’ll be finished by then. | 你们明天再来,那时我们就抢完了 |
[1:02:31] | We’ve been planning this for months. We’re not gonna have it ruined by a jackass! | 已经计划了好几个月 |
[1:02:36] | All right, we’ll take a vote. | 我们不想被一个傻瓜破坏我们的计划 好吧,我们来一次投票 |
[1:02:37] | How many people here would like to be held up by this group? | 有多少人愿意被这帮人抢劫的? |
[1:02:44] | Now, how many people would like to be held up by our group? | 现在有多少人愿意被我们抢劫的? |
[1:02:51] | Now beat it. | 现在没话说了吧! |
[1:02:55] | You call this a bank robbery? | 你们这也叫抢劫?我实在看不下去了 |
[1:02:58] | I yelled “action” five minutes ago! Is this the way to pick up money? | 你们就这样全拿走? |
[1:03:09] | What’s going on here? There’s a million cops outside! | 这里怎么了?外面堆了100万美元 |
[1:03:12] | Let’s get out of here! | 快走啊! |
[1:03:31] | Each member of the gang gets five years for his part in the crime. | 他们每个人都因为这次犯罪判了5年刑 |
[1:03:35] | Virgil gets ten. | 维吉尔判了10年 |
[1:03:37] | He is taken, not to prison this time, but to a road gang… | 他没有被关进监狱而是去修路 |
[1:03:40] | where his criminal behavior will cost him dearly. | 在这里他将为他的行为付出昂贵的代价 |
[1:03:45] | You men come here because you committed crimes… | 你们来这里是因为你们犯了罪 |
[1:03:49] | rendering you unfit to live in decent society. | 你们不适合生活在正常的社会 |
[1:03:52] | That’s too bad. | 那太糟糕了 |
[1:03:54] | I think you’re gonna find you made a mistake you’re gonna regret. | 我想你们会为你们的错误感到遗憾 |
[1:03:59] | Our job, mine and the boys, is to see that you get some civilization in you… | 我和这些孩子的工作就是 |
[1:04:04] | so that when you leave here, you’re gonna think twice… | 看看你们是不是变得文明 |
[1:04:08] | about performing antisocial acts. | 所以当你们离开这里时 |
[1:04:12] | My advice to you… | 在你们危害社会之前三思 |
[1:04:15] | is to obey the rules and do your job. | 我的建议这是例行公事,干活吧 |
[1:04:17] | You got any complaints, come to me. | 你们有什么牢骚就来找我 |
[1:04:18] | There ain’t nobody on the outside gonna help you. | 不要希望外面有人会来帮你们 |
[1:04:23] | We don’t like complainers and we don’t like troublemakers. | 我不喜欢发牢骚的人和找麻烦的人 |
[1:04:27] | If things get a little too rough for you in here… | 如果在这里有什么麻烦的话 |
[1:04:32] | you’re just free to take off for Florida. | 你就跑到佛罗里达去 |
[1:04:36] | Show them which direction Florida is, boys. | 告诉我哪个方向是去佛罗里达的? |
[1:04:47] | Any questions? | 还有什么问题吗? |
[1:04:49] | Do you think a girl should pet on the first date? | 您认为一个女孩在最初的日子 会不高兴吗? |
[1:04:52] | What? | 什么? |
[1:04:53] | I mean, if both parties involved are mature and liberal. | 我是说两边都成熟,自由 |
[1:06:28] | You think you got a good enough aim… | 去见艾黎查女士…去密西西比河… |
[1:06:31] | for that hammer to knock these bracelets off me? | 嘿,你认为你能不能 |
[1:06:34] | Man, I don’t want no trouble. | 用锤子帮我把手铐打开? 我不想惹麻烦 |
[1:06:36] | Nothing’s gonna happen. You think you can do it? | 这没什么你知道你能做到 |
[1:06:39] | – I’ve never missed yet. – All right, go ahead. | 我从来没有失手 |
[1:06:53] | Sorry, man. First time. | 好,来吧 |
[1:07:01] | Food on a chain gang is scarce and not very nourishing. | 对不起,这是第一次 很少有人带着链条吃饭,而且也不营养 |
[1:07:04] | The men get one hot meal a day: a bowl of steam. | 每人每天一碗热饭一碗水 |
[1:07:15] | All right, boys, who didn’t give me a good day’s work? | 好啊孩子们,是谁干的好事? |
[1:07:27] | Come with us, Wilson! | 走吧,威尔逊 |
[1:07:44] | What’s the matter, Starkwell? Can’t you take it? | 怎么了斯塔克维尔,你看不到吗? |
[1:07:47] | I want you to see this so you’ll know what you got to look forward to. | 过来,到这里来看,你会看得很清楚 |
[1:08:07] | Just what in the hell do you think you’re doing? | 该死的,你在干什么? |
[1:08:10] | What do you mean? | 您是什么意思? |
[1:08:11] | Don’t beat the shadow, you damn fool! Beat him! | 别浪费力气了,抽他 |
[1:08:15] | Him! | 呕,他! |
[1:08:18] | The time drags by in an endless grind of backbreaking labor. | 时间的缓慢运动对辛勤劳动的人 |
[1:08:24] | Brutal discipline is common under the hot sun. | 是一种折磨 残忍的纪律往往发生在光天化日之下 |
[1:08:27] | The men are not even permitted to faint without written permission. | 人们没有见过允许甚至不能昏倒 |
[1:08:31] | Virgil complains, and he is severely tortured. | 维吉尔抱怨他受到严酷的折磨 |
[1:08:34] | For several days, he is locked in a sweat box with an insurance salesman. | 他在一间闷热的房间里被关了几天 遇到了一个卖保险的人 |
[1:08:38] | Hello, I’m Joe Green, and I represent the Ajax-Witches Insurance company. | 嗨,我叫乔.格林 我是亚加克斯盖特保险公司的 |
[1:08:42] | I’d like to talk to you about your insurance. You’re about 30, right? | 我很乐意向介绍一下保险 你大概30岁吧? |
[1:08:46] | You know, I think the best thing to do is to get straight life, plus a little term. | 我认为最好买一份保险然后有一些条款 |
[1:08:50] | And how about dental and medical? | 牙齿和药物有什么关系? |
[1:08:52] | We’ve got this major medical. It’s a good deal. | 我们有大量的药物和牙齿 |
[1:08:58] | At the end of each day, the men are chained to each other by the ankle… | 每天工作完之后 |
[1:09:01] | in groups of six, making movement slow and painful… | 这些人六个一组彼此锁住脚踝 |
[1:09:05] | and escape impossible. | 使他们移动困难并且很痛苦 |
[1:09:15] | Then, one day, the impossible is attempted. | 逃走几乎不可能 然而有一天,不可能变成了可能 |
[1:09:25] | See that field? | 看到那片原野吗? |
[1:09:27] | If we make it across that field, we’d be out of here. | 如果我们跑过那片原野,我们就能逃走 |
[1:09:29] | We can take them by surprise, if we all suddenly made a break for it. | 我们不能惊动他,速度要快 |
[1:09:34] | – You’re crazy. – That’s right. | 你疯了 |
[1:09:36] | I’m a paranoid schizophrenic, but I say we try it. | 没错,我有幻想性精神分裂 |
[1:09:40] | – Ain’t that right, boys? – Yeah, you’re right. | 但我们可以试一下 你们说对吗? |
[1:10:06] | I’m not with them! I wanted to stay! | 对 我不想和他们一起,我想留下来 |
[1:10:08] | All right, everybody spread out! | 好了,大家分开 |
[1:12:00] | My car broke down. Can I use your phone? | 我的车坏了,我可以用一下你的电话吗? |
[1:12:02] | Of course. Come in. | 当然,请进 |
[1:12:24] | We’re gonna get out of here. I know a guy in town… | 好了,现在我们打算一下怎么离开这里 |
[1:12:27] | who’s got enough tools to get us out of these chains. | 我在城里认识一个人 |
[1:12:32] | All right. You act natural and answer it or you’re finished! | 他有足够的工具帮我们摆脱这些铁链 |
[1:12:37] | Who is it? | 好了,你自然一点回答他否则你就完了 |
[1:12:39] | Patrolman Lynch. Can I come in? | 外面是谁? 巡警林奇,我能进来吗? |
[1:12:41] | Well, not now. | 现在不方便 |
[1:12:43] | It’s an emergency. I’m afraid I’ll have to. | 现在有紧急事件恐怕我一定要进来 |
[1:12:46] | You better untie her. | 我们最好解开她 |
[1:12:47] | Tell him we’re your cousins visiting from out of town. | 告诉他我们是你的堂弟 |
[1:12:57] | One false move and you’re finished. | 我们从城外来看你 |
[1:13:04] | What is it? | 要是有什么不对你就完了 有什么事? |
[1:13:05] | I hear there’s been some trouble up at the prison. | 我听说监狱有些麻烦事 |
[1:13:07] | I’m checking the area for anything suspicious. | 我来检查一下这个地区有没有什么可疑情况 |
[1:13:10] | These are my cousins. They’re visiting me for the holiday. | 这是我的堂弟他们利用假期来看我 |
[1:13:14] | What holiday? | 什么假? |
[1:13:17] | – Did you ever hear of St. Abernathy’s Day? – No. | 你听说过圣达布节吗? |
[1:13:21] | That’s what we’re here for. | 没有 这就是为什么我们来这里 |
[1:13:23] | Come here, you. Come here! | 你过来过来! |
[1:13:33] | You think your cousin is safe living here all alone? | 你认为你表姐一个人住这里安全吗? |
[1:13:36] | Look how close we are to the prison. | 你看一下我们离监狱多近 |
[1:13:38] | Look out here. It’s just a few miles down the road. | 从这里看,顺着这条路只有几英里 |
[1:13:43] | Come here. | 过来! |
[1:13:48] | I don’t know. | 我不知道你知道住在离监狱 |
[1:13:50] | You sure can’t be sure when you live so close to a prison. | 这么近的地方不可能安全 |
[1:13:54] | Wait a minute. | 嘿,等一下!我看见有什么东西移过去了 |
[1:13:56] | – Did I see something move out there? – You couldn’t have. | 不可能! |
[1:13:58] | I’m sure I saw something move. Quick. Everybody take one window and check it. | 我肯定我看到了 |
[1:14:03] | If there’s somebody out there, we’ll have a chance to see him. | 快!每个人检查一个窗户 如果有人刚出去的话,我们肯定能看到他 |
[1:14:13] | Guess it must have been my imagination. | 我猜那是我的幻觉 |
[1:14:18] | NOW? | 现在?! |
[1:14:21] | Excuse us. | 对不起 |
[1:14:37] | They’re escaped convicts. | 他们,逃犯真的? |
[1:14:39] | – Really? – They’ve broken in. | 他们闯进来 |
[1:14:41] | Didn’t you notice how they all moved together closely? | 难道对你没注意他们一起慢慢地移动? |
[1:14:45] | – They’re chained together at the ankles. – I thought they were just a close family. | 他们的脚踝被锁在一起 我以为他们是亲密的一家人 |
[1:14:50] | Okay, boys, the game’s up. | 好了孩子们游戏开始了 |
[1:14:56] | The old lady must have told. | 这个老女人一定跟他说了 |
[1:14:58] | You’re going back to that prison and this time you’re gonna stay there. | 你们马上回监狱去 现在呆在那里别动 |
[1:15:07] | Where we gonna go? We need tools. | 如果我们想走,我们需要工具 |
[1:15:09] | Let’s get my wife. She’ll help us out of this. | 去找我妻子她会帮我们摆脱这个 |
[1:15:19] | Virgil, if you’d only listened to me and gone straight. | 呕,我维吉尔,如果你听我的就不会这样 |
[1:15:23] | Honey, we needed the money and I robbed a bank. | 亲爱的,我们需要钱我抢了银行 |
[1:15:27] | When are you going to stop doing that? | 维吉尔,你什么时候才会停下来? |
[1:15:29] | Don’t you realize you’re a father and you have responsibilities. | 难道你不知道你是个父亲?你有责任 |
[1:15:33] | If she was my wife, I’d belt her one. | 如果她是我妻子,我会教训她 |
[1:15:35] | Do you mind keeping out of this, please? | 请不要插嘴?! |
[1:15:37] | I don’t wanna discuss it, unless we’re alone. | 这个问题我们单独谈 |
[1:15:40] | I wanna discuss it now. | 我想现在谈! |
[1:15:41] | All right you don’t wanna discuss it alone. Okay. | 好啊,你要单独谈 |
[1:15:44] | Where are you going? | O.k.我现在去隔壁的房间,如果你要谈 |
[1:15:45] | I’m going to the next room, to talk about it right now. | 就是现在! |
[1:15:47] | I can’t come in alone! I’m chained to the… | 我不能单独进来,我被锁住了 |
[1:15:50] | We can’t be alone unless we go someplace where they got some tools or something. | 我们不能单独行动除非我们去一个地方 |
[1:15:54] | These guys are with me for good now. | 他们那里有工具或其他东西 我现在和他们相处得很好 |
[1:15:56] | How do you think I feel? | 你有没有想过我的感受 |
[1:15:57] | I’m a young woman, sleeping alone here every night. | 我是个年轻的女人每天晚上 一个人睡在这里 |
[1:16:02] | Darling, look… | 你有没有想过这对我意味这什么? |
[1:16:03] | Don’t you think that means something to me? | 你有没有想过我的感受? |
[1:16:06] | I think back to the days when you were in the Philharmonic. | 我怀念你在乐团的日子 |
[1:16:09] | I was never in the Philharmonic! | 我从来都没有加入乐团 |
[1:16:11] | We used to lie in bed and you used to make love to me. | 你经常躺在床上住嘴! |
[1:16:14] | – And you used to recite poetry… – Poetry? | 你经常和我做爱你经常背诵诗歌 |
[1:16:16] | – And play with that doll you got me. – Hey, Longfellow! | 诗歌?你还和你买给我的洋娃娃玩 |
[1:16:21] | Darling, look. You guys look away for a minute. | 亲爱的你们把脸转过去一下 |
[1:16:25] | Sweetheart, don’t you know that whatever happens… | 我的宝贝,你还不知道吗,不管发生什么 |
[1:16:28] | you’re always gonna mean the same to me. | 你都对我同样重要 |
[1:16:31] | Will you stop giggling? | 你们能不能别傻笑? |
[1:16:33] | You’ll always mean the sun, and earth and the moon to me. | 你就是我的太阳,地球,月亮 你就是我的全部 |
[1:16:37] | Oh, Christ! | 呕,主啊! |
[1:16:42] | With Louise’s help, the chains are removed from Virgil’s ankles. | 在路易丝的帮助下 维吉尔拿掉了脚踝上的铁链 |
[1:16:45] | Once more the family takes flight… | 这一家人再一次开始逃跑 |
[1:16:48] | feeling guilty about their son’s education. Louise tries tutoring him. | 由于对他们儿子教育的内疚感 |
[1:16:58] | He’s been very depressed. | 路易丝试着自己辅导他 |
[1:17:03] | I think if he had been a successful criminal… | 他非常沮丧 |
[1:17:06] | he would’ve felt better. | 我想如果他是个成功的犯罪者 他或许会好受点 |
[1:17:09] | You know, he never made the “Ten Most Wanted” list. | 你知道他做事从来没有计划性 |
[1:17:13] | It’s very unfair voting. It’s who you know. | 那是不公平的选举你知道他这个人 |
[1:17:16] | Virgil Starkwell embarks on a series of crimes… | 维吉尔.斯塔克维尔进行了一系列的犯罪 |
[1:17:19] | that make him a wanted desperado. | 这使他成了一个被通缉的暴徒 |
[1:17:34] | Here, he attempts to rob the vault of a bank… | 现在他打算抢劫银行的金库 |
[1:17:36] | but finds a family of Gypsies are living there. | 但是发现有一吉普赛家人住在那里 |
[1:17:42] | By the end of six months, the FBI regards Virgil as a menace. | 六个月之后FBI把维吉尔视为危险人物 |
[1:17:47] | Although he does not make the “Ten Most Wanted” list… | 虽然他做事从来没有计划性 |
[1:17:50] | he does win ‘Gangster of the Year” award… | 他得到“年度土匪”奖 |
[1:17:52] | and is asked to speak at many luncheons and universities. | 并且被邀请在很多晚宴和大学演讲 |
[1:17:57] | For the end of this story, we spoke to Mr. Daniel Miller… | 但是在故事的结尾 我们采访了丹尼尔.米勒先生 |
[1:17:59] | an FBI agent and author of the book, Mother Was A Red. | 一个FBI官员,“红色母亲”的作者 |
[1:18:03] | The FBI actually wanted Virgil very badly. | 实际上FBI很想抓住维吉尔 |
[1:18:07] | Mr. Hoover was quite upset by Mr. Starkwell and his activities. | 胡佛先生对斯塔克维尔先生 和他的行为非常恼火 |
[1:18:11] | In fact, he confided to me on several occasions. | 实际上,他几次委托我 |
[1:18:15] | I can remember one very well, after a bowling match on Thursday night… | 我记得很清楚,有一次 |
[1:18:20] | on which he said he couldn’t sleep nights, he was smoking a little too much… | 有一个星期三晚上打完保龄球 他晚上睡不着,抽多了点烟 |
[1:18:24] | and he thought that this criminal… | 他认为,这个罪犯,也许 |
[1:18:29] | as he put it, might very well be part of a subversive plot. | 或许很可能是一个颠覆阴谋 |
[1:18:35] | Obviously an atheist and a pinko… | 很明显,一个无神论者,一匹野马 |
[1:18:41] | and trying in general to disturb our society. | 扰乱了我们的社会 |
[1:18:46] | We finally traced him to a cheap neighborhood… | 我们最终在一所廉价的住房里找到了他 |
[1:18:48] | down on the Lower East Side of New York… | 在纽约东部较低的地区 |
[1:18:51] | where he was living, at the time, in a very sleazy, rundown tenement house. | 他躺在一座廉价的将要倒塌的出租房里 |
[1:18:56] | Virge? I remember him. I used to live with him as a matter of fact. | 维吉尔,我记得他事实上我和他住在一起 |
[1:18:59] | In the same rooming house, that is. | 在同一座出租房里 |
[1:19:02] | One day, he told me he was a gynecologist. | 有一天他告诉我他是妇产科医生 |
[1:19:05] | He couldn’t speak no foreign languages. Who was he kidding? | 他又不懂外语他骗谁? |
[1:19:10] | I thought I saw his picture on a post office… | 我想我在邮局看过他的照片 |
[1:19:14] | I didn’t remember whether it was on the wall or on a stamp. | 我不记得是在墙上还是在邮票上 |
[1:19:18] | – Do you remember Virgil? – Yeah. | 你记得维吉尔吗?当然记得 |
[1:19:21] | – What was he like? – I don’t know. Now, I think he was brilliant. | 他怎么样? |
[1:19:25] | Just absolutely brilliant. | 我觉得他很有才气我是指绝对的才气 |
[1:19:26] | When I found out that he was a criminal, I just couldn’t believe It. | 当我刚发现他是个罪犯时 |
[1:19:30] | I just thought I was gonna die… | 我简直不敢相信我只是觉得他就要死了 |
[1:19:34] | ’cause he just was the best cover-up job I’ve ever seen in my life. | 因为他隐藏得很好 比我见过的任何人都隐藏得更好 |
[1:19:37] | I mean, unbelievable acting job. | 我是指难以置信的演技 |
[1:19:39] | I actually believed that he was an idiot. I really believed it. | 我相信他是个白痴 我是指我相信我不是唯一的就像 |
[1:19:43] | And I wasn’t the only one. Everybody thought so. | 每个人想象的那样 每一个人都认为他是犹太人 |
[1:19:45] | Everyone thought he was a schlemiel, and turns out he’s a criminal! | 但他是个罪犯 |
[1:19:49] | Just to think that that idiot was a criminal! I just can’t believe it. | 一想到一个白痴是罪犯我就不能相信 |
[1:19:52] | I mean, you never met anybody like this in your life. | 你从来不会遇到这种事 |
[1:19:55] | You’ve never met such a nothing. | 从来不会遇到这种人 |
[1:19:57] | I can’t believe it! That there was a mind working in there… | 我不能相信,会有那种想法 |
[1:20:00] | that could rob banks! It’s phenomenal! | 他会抢银行那是现象 |
[1:20:03] | Do you know that once I said to him, “What do you do?” | 当我问他他是干什么的 |
[1:20:07] | He said, “I rob banks.” | 他说,我是抢银行的 |
[1:20:09] | Go know? | 就是这样 |
[1:20:12] | But we finally caught up to him. | 但是我们最后抓住了他 |
[1:20:14] | I think it was April 11th. We finally captured Virgil… | 我们抓住维吉尔是在4月11日 |
[1:20:17] | under sort of very odd circumstances. | 当时的情形有点艰难 |
[1:20:21] | An amateur photographer happened to be there at the time… | 嗯,一个业余摄影师 正好在现场 |
[1:20:25] | and took the only known films of his capture. | 把他的被捕过程拍摄下来了 |
[1:20:29] | I was coming down here. This is the spot where it actually happened. | 我正在这里这就是事发现场 |
[1:20:32] | You see. | 事实上,我正好拿着我的裤子 |
[1:20:34] | As a matter of fact, I had just brought my pants in to the cleaners… and I was sort of angry with them… | 去洗,我和他还有点矛盾 |
[1:20:39] | because last time I asked them to sew a button on and they hadn’t. | 因为我上次去的时候要他帮我缝个扣子 |
[1:20:43] | Will you get to the point? | 但他们没缝 |
[1:20:45] | Oh, yes. Well… | 我们可以进入正题吗? |
[1:20:48] | I’ll tell you exactly what happened this morning with me. | 好的我现在告诉你那天早上发生的事 |
[1:20:52] | And about the camera. Well, back to this thing in which I became known… | 我正好带了摄像机 回顾我知道这里发生的一切 |
[1:20:57] | merely because of what happened and I had the camera. | 主要是这里发生的事 而我又正好带了摄像机 |
[1:21:00] | I was having breakfast in the morning. | 我正在吃早饭我记得是两个煎蛋 |
[1:21:02] | I think it was two fried eggs, toast… | 一个面包 |
[1:21:06] | and juice, I don’t know whether it was orange or grapefruit. | 我不记得是桔子汁还是葡萄汁 |
[1:21:11] | But at that time… It was orange juice, that’s right. | 但是我记得有水果汁不记得是什么 |
[1:21:14] | Will you get to the point? | 那时候 对了,是桔子汁!你可以进入正题吗! |
[1:21:16] | I’ve got them right here. I’d like to show them to you. | 我这里也有我可以给你们看一看 |
[1:21:18] | The very last films… | 这是维吉尔斯塔克维尔 |
[1:21:20] | of Virgil Starkwell being captured by the FBI. | 被FBI逮捕时的录像 |
[1:21:25] | All right, get your hands up. This is a stickup! | 举起手来,打劫! |
[1:21:27] | I know you. Virgil Starkwell, that’s right. | 嘿,我认识你维吉尔斯塔克维尔 |
[1:21:33] | – Eddie? What? Haynes? – That’s right. | 呕,红色母亲…海恩斯? |
[1:21:36] | We were in the marching band together, and you played a cello. | 是啊!我们在同一个乐队呆过 你是拉大提琴你经常 |
[1:21:39] | I was trombone. First trombone. | 我吹长号长号 |
[1:21:41] | Isn’t that funny? My God! | 我的上帝! |
[1:21:44] | – What are you doing? – I’m with the Philharmonic. | 你现在干什么?我在乐团里 |
[1:21:47] | No kidding. That’s great. I was just talking to someone… | 别耍我!我刚和奥斯卡.撒肯谈 |
[1:21:50] | Oscar Sunkin. About the great times we used to have together, remember? | 我们在一起快乐的时刻 |
[1:21:53] | They were hilarious! | 谈话非常愉快! |
[1:21:55] | Do you do you remember when we got caught… | 你还记得我们遇上大雨吗? |
[1:21:57] | taking a shower in the girls’ locker room? | |
[1:21:59] | I do. You know, I never saw anybody so embarrassed. | 我记得我从来没有遇上那么难堪的事 |
[1:22:02] | I’ll never forget your face! | 我永远不会忘了你的脸 |
[1:22:03] | My face! You dropped the towel! | 我的脸?你擦过了你也擦过了! |
[1:22:05] | You dropped the towel, too! | |
[1:22:08] | Let me have your watch, will you? | 可以把你的表给我吗?当然,当然,当然 |
[1:22:10] | Yes, sure. | |
[1:22:12] | Remember that… We painted the car yellow. | 你还记得我们漆车吗,黄色对吗? |
[1:22:16] | – Right, on Halloween. – That’s right. It was Halloween. | 对,是在万圣节 对,事万圣节,太搞笑了 |
[1:22:19] | – It was really funny. – It was yellow stripes. | 那是黄色的内脏对,就像苞米花 |
[1:22:21] | That’s right, like a barber pole. | |
[1:22:23] | Keep your hands up or I’ll have to shoot you. | 把手举起来,否则我就开枪了 |
[1:22:25] | Yeah, sure. | 你还记得足球队吗? |
[1:22:27] | – Jesus, remember the football game? – You fumbled the last play! | 你参加了最后一场比赛你接到了球 |
[1:22:30] | And you picked up the ball and ran with it. | 但你跑错了方向 |
[1:22:32] | And then I ran the wrong way. Everybody was yelling, “Go back.” | 每个人都在喊往回跑,往回跑 |
[1:22:35] | And I thought they were cheering. | 我以为他们在欢呼 |
[1:22:37] | You can’t beat the good old days! | 你再也不能回到过去的日子了 |
[1:22:38] | No, or the good old nights. Shirley Sistrin. Remember? | 那些美好的夜晚希里.斯罗特兹 |
[1:22:42] | The wallet. | 钱包 |
[1:22:44] | I didn’t hear you. | 噢,我没听清 |
[1:22:47] | It’s been great speaking to you, really. | 很高兴能和你谈话,真的 |
[1:22:49] | – It’s so nice to see you. – Yeah, you, too. Take it easy. | 我也很高兴见到你,维吉尔 别慌张或许几天后我们又见面了 |
[1:22:52] | – Maybe I’ll see you again. – Best of luck to you. | 祝你好运! |
[1:22:56] | I just realized that I’m a cop. | 维吉尔我刚想起我是个警察 维吉尔,我刚想起我是个警察 |
[1:22:58] | – No kidding. How’s it going? – It’s a great job. | 别开玩笑了这是怎么回事? |
[1:23:01] | – I get a pension. – Do you remember when we… | 这是件伟大的工作我抓人并且 |
[1:23:06] | Virgil Starkwell is tried on 52 counts of robbery… | 你还记得? 维吉尔斯塔克维尔共抢劫52次 |
[1:23:10] | and is sentenced to 800 years in federal prison. | 他被判入狱800年 |
[1:23:13] | At the trial, he tells his lawyer confidently… | 在审判中,他很自信地告诉他的律师 |
[1:23:16] | that with good behavior, he can cut the sentence in half. | 如果表现好的话他可以 |
[1:23:19] | Now that you’re caught and you’re facing a very long prison sentence… | 减少一半的刑期 维吉尔,你现在被捕了 |
[1:23:23] | do you have any regrets about choosing a life of crime? | 并且面对很长的刑期 你现在后悔自己走上犯罪道路吗? |
[1:23:27] | I think that crime definitely pays… | 我想,犯罪是很明确的付出 |
[1:23:29] | and that, you know, it’s a great job. | 那是伟大的工作,时间过得很快 |
[1:23:32] | The hours are good, and you’re your own boss… | 你自己作老板 |
[1:23:35] | and you travel a lot and you get to meet interesting people. | 你可以经常旅游遇见很多有趣的人 |
[1:23:39] | I just think it’s a good job in general. | 总的来说这是一份好工作 |
[1:23:42] | What about your cohorts? What ever happened to them? | 你的朋友怎么样了,他们发生了什么事? |
[1:23:45] | All the guys you’ve been associated with in various gangs? | 所有的人,和你合作过的所有伙伴 |
[1:23:48] | A great many of them have become homosexuals… | 他们很多人都变成了同性恋 |
[1:23:54] | and some of them have entered into politics and sports. | 有些人成了政客或运动员 |
[1:23:57] | How do you manage to spend your time in prison? | 你准备怎么度过你的监狱生活 |
[1:24:00] | Do you have any hobbies or anything? | 你有什么业余爱好吗? |
[1:24:02] | I’ve been working on… | 我有,我正在 |
[1:24:04] | I’ve been doing a lot of stuff in shop, actually… | 我制作了很多轮船的原料 |
[1:24:08] | and I’m very skilled with my hands. | 我的手很灵巧 |
[1:24:10] | Do you know if it’s raining out? | 真不知道没有它们会怎么样? |