英文名称:Steve Jobs:Man in the Machine
年代:2015
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:24] | After hours of getting this thing right… | 在几个小时的打理后… |
[00:33] | God, look at that. Look, I’m on television. | 天啊 看看那个 我上电视了耶 |
[00:35] | -Hey! Isn’t that amazing? -Yeah, it is. | -是不是很棒呢 -对啊 真的很棒 |
[00:38] | -You’re on TV in New York, too. -What’s that? | -纽约也看得到你 -你说什么 |
[00:42] | -No, no. -Yes, you are. | -不…-没错 就是你 |
[00:44] | Am I really? Are you serious? | 真的看得到我 你说真的 |
[00:45] | Yeah, they got you in New York. God. | 对啊 他们在纽约也有播出 天啊 |
[00:51] | I’m gonna let you put it in your own ear. | 我要请你自己放到耳朵里 |
[00:53] | -Really? -It’s a talk back. | -这样啊 -这是收音器 |
[00:54] | They’re going to talk to you. | 他们会用这个跟你说话 |
[00:56] | This is not the real thing, right? | 这不是真的玩意 对吧 |
[00:58] | You just want a picture of me now? | 只是用来拍照对吧 |
[01:00] | -They’re going to sit you here first. -God. | -他们需要你先坐在这里 -天啊 |
[01:06] | You need to tell me where the restroom is, too, | 要请你告诉我洗手间在哪里 |
[01:08] | cos I’m deathly ill, actually, | 因为我真的不太舒服 |
[01:10] | and ready to throw up at any moment, so… | 随时都可能会吐出来 所以… |
[01:12] | -It’s right across the hall. -Great. I’m not joking. | -就在那房间后面 -太好了 我可不是开玩笑 |
[01:24] | We’re ready to go, gentlemen. New York’s waiting for a shot of him. | 各位 我们准备要开始了 纽约那边已经在等了 |
[01:58] | If you see in my eyes, I’ve been crying just a little bit. | 如果你看我的眼睛 可以看到我已经泛泪了 |
[02:02] | And it seems really ridiculous because I’ve never met the man. | 看起来十分荒谬 因为我甚至没有见过这个人 |
[02:05] | I know life is ephemeral, but I just, you know, | 我知道生命苦短 但我就是…你知道的 |
[02:11] | I expected him to be around a little longer. | 我还希望他能够再活久一点 |
[02:14] | Pretty sure everybody did, but, you know… | 我想其他人也是这样想的 但 你知道的… |
[02:17] | The thing I’m using right now, an iMac, he made. | 我正在用的就是苹果电脑 是他的心血 |
[02:21] | He made the iMac. He made the Macbook. | 他创造了苹果桌上型电脑 他也创造了苹果的笔记型电脑 |
[02:25] | He made the Macbook Pro. He made the Macbook Air. | 他创造了专业的苹果笔电 他也创造了轻盈版的苹果笔电 |
[02:28] | He made the iPhone. He made the iPod. | 他创造了苹果智慧型手机 他也创造了苹果的平板电脑 |
[02:34] | Yeah, he’s made the iPod Touch. | 没错 他也创造了触控型 音乐播放器 |
[02:37] | He’s made everything. | 他创造了一切 |
[03:01] | In the jingle jangle morning I’ll come following you | 愿你安息 |
[03:07] | It’s not often that the whole planet seems to feel a loss together, | 全世界都感到痛失英才 这情况并不常见 |
[03:12] | but after the death of Steve Jobs, | 苹果的共同创办人 卓越的梦想家 |
[03:14] | co-founder of Apple and singular dreamer, | 史蒂夫乔布斯过世后 |
[03:17] | all day, we watched as there was a kind of global wake. | 全世界都关注着这消息 世人都难以入眠 |
[03:20] | On Facebook, millions changing their profiles to the Apple logo. | 在社群网站脸书上 数百万人 将档案照换成苹果商标 |
[03:24] | A kind of black armband, a gesture of gratitude. | 像是现代版的戴上黑臂纱 有致敬感恩的意涵 |
[03:28] | We’ve been monitoring the hashtag “thankyousteve.” | 我们一直在关注着”谢谢你史蒂夫”的网路标签 |
[03:32] | My favorite tweet last night | 昨晚我看到最喜欢的推特 |
[03:34] | was four simple letters simply saying, “iSad.” | 只有简单的三个字”我难过” |
[03:52] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[03:57] | When Steve Jobs died, I was mystified. | 史蒂夫过世后 我感到十分困惑 |
[04:01] | What accounted for the grief of millions of people who didn’t know him? | 怎么会有数百万不认识他的人 会如此忧伤难过 |
[04:05] | I’d seen it with John Lennon and Martin Luther king, | 我看过类似的状况 是约翰蓝侬或马丁路德金 |
[04:08] | but Steve Jobs wasn’t a singer or a civil-rights leader. | 但是史蒂夫乔布斯不是歌手 也不是民权领袖 |
[04:13] | Many commentators were surprised | 许多名嘴都很吃惊 |
[04:16] | by the intensity and the power of this wave of emotion. | 被这情绪的浪潮 以及凝结的气氛吓到了 |
[04:22] | What was it? And I think it was truly love. | 这代表着什么 我认为这就是最真的爱 |
[04:27] | Jobs has proven to be the one and only person in the world | 乔布斯已经证明自己 成为世界上唯一 |
[04:33] | who can create technology products that people love. | 能创造人们所爱的 科技产品的人 |
[04:41] | Wall-E. | 瓦力 |
[04:43] | I love “Wall-E,” a film Jobs’s Pixar produced, and I love my iPhone, | 我很爱由皮克斯出品的”瓦力” 我也很爱我的苹果手机 |
[04:49] | but the grief for Jobs seemed to go beyond the products he left behind. | 但对乔布斯的悼念 似乎超过他留下的产品影响力 |
[04:54] | We mourned the man himself, but why? | 我们为失去他而哀恸 但是原因何在 |
[04:57] | Behind the scenes, Jobs could be ruthless, deceitful and cruel. | 幕后的乔布斯 可说是无情 狡猾又残酷的人 |
[05:02] | Yet he won our hearts by convincing us | 尽管他用苹果产品赢得欢心 |
[05:04] | that Apple represented a higher ideal. | 让众人认为苹果是更高的理想 |
[05:07] | It was not like other companies. It was different. | 跟其它公司完全不同 一点都不一样 |
[05:13] | Good morning and welcome to Apple’s 1984 annual shareholders’ meeting. | 早安 欢迎来到苹果 1984年的年度股东大会 |
[05:18] | I’d like to open the meeting with part of an old poem, | 我要引用一首老诗 作为这场大会的开端 |
[05:21] | about a 20-year-old poem, by Dylan. That’s Bob Dylan. | 这首诗有20年的历史了 作者是狄伦 鲍伯狄伦 |
[05:26] | “Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pens | “用笔写下预言的 作家及评论者” |
[05:29] | and keep your eyes wide, the chance won’t come again.” | “请张大眼睛好好看着 这机会将一去不复返” |
[05:32] | “And don’t speak too soon for the wheel’s still in spin | “尘埃落定前 一切都未成定论” |
[05:35] | and there’s no telling who that it’s naming.” | “谁将留名青史 一切言之尚早” |
[05:37] | “For the loser now will be later to win, for the times, they are a-changing.” | “失意之人终将胜利 因为时代正处于变革之中” |
[05:42] | Jobs loved Dylan maybe because he wasn’t just one thing. | 乔布斯很喜欢狄伦 因为他不仅仅是歌手 |
[05:47] | He was a storyteller who could be | 他也是一个擅于说故事的人 |
[05:49] | whatever we wanted him to be. | 他可以是他口中任何一个角色 |
[05:52] | I don’t even what know what All Along The Watchtower means. | 我甚至听不懂”沿着了望塔” 这首歌是什么意思 |
[05:56] | I think it is one of the most beautiful, haunting, | 我认为这就是 我听过最美 最深刻 |
[05:58] | brilliant pieces of poetry ever. And to me, it’s like Steve. | 最出色的诗歌了 对我来说 就像乔布斯一样 |
[06:05] | “There must be some way out of here, said the…” What is it? | “一定有办法逃出这里…” 然后是什么 |
[06:10] | Said the Joker to the Thief. | “小丑与窃贼如是说” |
[06:12] | He’s both. | 两个都是指他 |
[07:31] | There’s something going on here in life | 生命中总会发生一些事情 |
[07:34] | beyond just a job and a family and career. | 在工作 家庭和事业之外 |
[07:38] | There’s another side of the coin. | 就像硬币有另一面 |
[07:44] | It’s the same thing | 是一样的道理 |
[07:45] | that causes people to want to be poets instead of bankers. | 因为比起银行家 有些人更想当诗人 |
[07:51] | And I think that that same spirit can be put into products. | 而我认为应用到产品上 也可以是一样的道理 |
[07:57] | And those products can be manufactured and given to people, | 这些产品同样可以 进入生产线然后到人们手中 |
[08:00] | and they can sense that spirit. | 然后他们一定 感受得到这道理 |
[08:05] | A computer is a straightforward, everyday machine. | 电脑是非常直线思考 日复一日工作的机器 |
[08:09] | A simple way of studying the principle of how it works | 要了解它运作的道理 一点都不难 |
[08:12] | is that a computer is quite dead. | 因为电脑是死的 |
[08:15] | It can do nothing without someone to give instructions. | 没有人类的操作 它什么事也做不了 |
[08:20] | When I was growing up, computers weren’t something to love. | 在我成长过程中 电脑并不是讨喜的玩意 |
[08:23] | They were something to fear. | 它们在当时是让人害怕的 |
[08:25] | They were huge, impersonal, made by faceless corporations. | 它们又大又死气沉沉 从不具名的公司中被创造出来 |
[08:30] | But for Jobs, it was different. | 但对于乔布斯而言 却并非如此 |
[08:33] | I saw my first computer when I was 12 at NASA. | 我人生中第一次看到电脑 是在美国太空总署 |
[08:36] | We had a local NASA center nearby. It was a terminal, | 我家附近就是当地的太空总署 它是一台终端机 |
[08:39] | which was connected to a big computer somewhere. | 它连接到某处的一台大电脑 |
[08:42] | This is one of the consoles they might be using in the future. | 这可能是未来 他们会使用的控制器 |
[08:45] | It looks very much like just a regular typewriter. | 它看起来就像一台 普通的打字机 |
[08:47] | Too often the equipment of the past | 在过去 有太多机器 |
[08:49] | has sort of been designed for other machines. | 是为了其它机器而设计的 |
[08:51] | They’re really not for people. | 却不是为了人类而建造的 |
[08:52] | I saw my second computer a few years later, the Hewlett-Packard 9100. | 多年来我看着我的二手电脑 它是一台惠普9100 |
[08:57] | The 9100 computing calculator. | 这台9100电子计算机 |
[09:00] | It was very large. Had a very small cathode ray tube on it for display. | 外表非常庞大 里面有很小的阴极射线显示器 |
[09:05] | And I got a chance to play with one of those maybe in 1968. | 1968年的某次机缘 我有幸能够玩玩这东西 |
[09:08] | I started going up | 我开始参加 |
[09:10] | to Hewlett-Packard’s Palo Alto research lab every Tuesday night, | 惠普在帕多的研究实验室 就在每周二晚上 |
[09:13] | and I spent every spare moment I had trying to write programs for it. | 每次我一有空 我就试着写程式 |
[09:18] | I was so fascinated by this. | 我当时完全着迷于其中 |
[09:21] | We have a pointing device called a mouse. | 当时有一个点选机器 叫作滑鼠 |
[09:24] | I don’t know why we call it a mouse. | 我也不晓得 为什么我们要取名为滑鼠 |
[09:25] | By 1968, Stanford’s Doug Engelbart, inventor of the mouse, | 1968年 滑鼠之父 史丹佛道格恩格巴特 |
[09:30] | was asking new questions | 提出一些新问题 |
[09:31] | about the essential nature of our changing relationship with computers. | 关于如何从本质上 改变人类与电脑之间的关系 |
[09:36] | If in your office, you as an intellectual worker | 在你的办公室里 身为一名有智慧的员工 |
[09:40] | were supplied with a computer display | 公司给你一台电脑荧幕 |
[09:43] | backed up by a computer that was alive for you all day | 一整天都待在电脑前面 |
[09:47] | and was instantly responsible, responsive, | 你每下一个口令 |
[09:51] | instantly responsive to every action you had, | 它就一个动作 |
[09:54] | how much value could you derive from that? | 你能够从中得到多少呢 |
[09:56] | We needed a guide to help us navigate this new relationship. | 我们需要一盏明灯 指引我们方向 |
[10:03] | My whole adult life has been spent building personal computers. | 我成年之后的人生 都花在创造电脑上面 |
[10:08] | So, the history of my vocation and my avocations | 可以说是我的整个职涯 包含副业的部份 |
[10:13] | and, you know, my growing up are all the same, | 你知道 我的成长过程也相去不远 |
[10:17] | and it’s very hard to separate one from the other. | 整个过程 是很难完全区分开来的 |
[10:29] | I come from a place called Silicon Valley, California, | 我来自于加州矽谷 |
[10:32] | and you’ll find there are a lot of electronics kits around. | 在那里 电子小零件俯拾皆是 |
[10:35] | My electronics teacher realized that I had a lot of computer ability | 我的电脑老师发现 我很有这方面的天分 |
[10:39] | that went beyond anything he could possibly teach me in school. | 这远远超过于 他能够在学校教我的 |
[10:41] | He knew that as long as I was in class, I was just going to sit around, | 他明白到我只要上学一天 我就只是坐在那里一天 |
[10:45] | playing pranks on the other students | 只能对其他同学恶作剧 |
[10:47] | like wrapping little hair wires around certain circuits | 像是把一点发丝缠在电路上 |
[10:49] | so when they plugged in their radio, it would blow up. | 当他们一打开广播机器 就会爆炸 |
[10:58] | As hard as I think about it, | 每当我回想起来 |
[10:59] | I don’t think I ever had one friend who was not one of the tech kids. | 我想不出我朋友群中 有不是科技迷的人 |
[11:03] | I met Woz when I was maybe 12 years old, 13 years old. | 我认识沃兹时大概十二岁 或十三岁左右 |
[11:07] | He was the first person I met that knew more electronics than I did. | 他是我第一个遇过 比我知道还多电子知识的人 |
[11:10] | And one of the things that Woz and I did was we built blue boxes. | 我和他一起做过的其中一件事 就是建造了蓝盒子 |
[11:19] | One day I picked up a magazine, | 有天我在看杂志 |
[11:21] | and I started reading a story about phone phreaks and blue boxes. | 我读到关于电话飞客 及蓝盒子的报导 |
[11:27] | When phone phreaks have a convention, | 电话飞客聚会的时候 |
[11:29] | as they did in the ballroom of a seedy New York hotel lately, | 最近一次他们在 破旧的纽约饭店宴会厅举行 |
[11:33] | masks are given out at the door. People don’t give their right names. | 在门外发放面具 没有人知道彼此的身份 |
[11:38] | The blue box was a little device | 蓝盒子是一个非常特别的装置 |
[11:40] | that put special tones into anybody’s phone | 让每个人的电话都有不同频率 |
[11:43] | and those tones would connect you anywhere you wanted. | 调整这些频率可以让你 想跟谁通话都可以 |
[11:46] | Halfway through reading this, I called Steve Jobs over | 文章读到一半 我立刻叫史蒂夫乔布斯过来 |
[11:49] | and started reading it to him over the phone. | 然后透过电话 将报导念给他听 |
[11:52] | There’s a way to fool the entire telephone system | 这是一个能够将整个电话系统 玩弄于手掌中的机会 |
[11:56] | into thinking you were a telephone computer | 想想看 你是台电话机 |
[11:58] | and to open up itself and let you call anywhere in the world for free. | 然后你敞开自己的怀抱 通话到全世界哪里都不是问题 |
[12:01] | You could call from a pay phone, go to White Plains, New York, | 你可以接听付费电话 或打到纽约白原市 |
[12:05] | take a satellite to Europe. | 通过卫星到欧洲 |
[12:06] | And you’d go around the world and call the pay phone next door. | 可以绕世界一圈 或打给隔壁的付费电话 |
[12:09] | Shout in the phone, be about 30 seconds, | 对着电话大吼三十秒 |
[12:11] | it’d come out the other end of the other phone. | 电话的另一端就会 听到你的声音 |
[12:13] | And he’s like, “Hello,” There’s a lag and, “Hello, how are you?” | 然后他会回”喂” 中间会落差一下”喂 你好” |
[12:17] | “I’m fine.” You know? | “我很好” 你懂吗 |
[12:19] | Why, one might wonder, would someone want to do that? | 什么原因 可能有人会问 为什么会有人想这么做 |
[12:23] | To rip off the phone company. | 敲电话公司的竹杠 |
[12:25] | And these were illegal, I have to add. | 我必须要补充说明 这行为是违法的 |
[12:29] | In college, I had a blue box of my own. It was important | 大学时期 我有自己的蓝盒子 它非常重要 |
[12:33] | because long-distance phone calls were really expensive back then. | 因为当时远距离通话 是非常花钱的 |
[12:38] | It was also a way of sticking it to the man. | 这也是这个男人 人生中的转捩点 |
[12:42] | This would become an important selling point for Jobs, too, | 对于乔布斯来说 这件事情至关重要 |
[12:45] | even as he left the technical work to others. | 就算当初他将其它科技作品 留给其他人 |
[12:49] | Well, I had this blue box design. | 这个嘛 我设计出蓝盒子 |
[12:51] | I did a trick in there that I’ve never done that good a trick | 我在里面加了点戏法 是我一生之中从来没有 |
[12:54] | in any other design in my life. | 在别的作品中变过的戏法 |
[12:55] | And Steve Jobs said, “Hey, why don’t we sell them?” | 接着史蒂夫乔布斯说”嘿 为什么我们不卖出去” |
[12:59] | You know, you rapidly run out of people you want to call, | 你知道的 你可以很快的 打电话给你想联系的人 |
[13:02] | but it was the magic that two teenagers | 不可思议的是这两个年轻人 |
[13:05] | could build this box for $100 worth of parts | 亲手造出了这个 价值一百元美金的盒子 |
[13:08] | and control hundreds of billions of dollars of infrastructure | 并控制了数以百计 价值上亿的设施 |
[13:13] | in the entire telephone network in the whole world. | 包含了全世界的 电信通话设备 |
[13:17] | We could sort of influence the world, you know? | 我们可以影响世界 你懂吗 |
[13:22] | Control it, in the case of blue boxes, | 就像控制这个蓝盒子 |
[13:24] | but something much more powerful than controlling. | 但比起控制 还有更有强力的作法 |
[13:27] | Influencing, in the case of Apple. And they’re very closely related. | 就像苹果公司的影响力 这两者是十分相近的 |
[13:32] | I really do, to this day, | 我至今仍这么想 |
[13:33] | feel that if we hadn’t had had those blue box experiences, | 如果当初我们 没有创造出蓝盒子 |
[13:37] | there never would have been an Apple computer. | 那么就永远不会有 苹果电脑公司 |
[13:39] | I think Jobs was always a storyteller. | 我认为乔布斯 一直都是名说故事的人 |
[13:42] | There was always this sense that he was constructing a persona. | 大家都如此认为 是他创造了这个角色 |
[13:47] | The first time I sat down with him to work on a story, | 我第一次坐下来 和乔布斯讨论这件事情 |
[13:50] | he immediately asked me if I had read | 他立即就问我有没有阅读过 |
[13:52] | Thomas Kuhn’s “The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.” | 汤马士孔恩的著作 科学革命的结构 |
[13:57] | I think he was assimilating into this personality, | 我想这本书对他的个性 影响非常多 |
[14:00] | this notion that he had found in Kuhn. | 他在孔恩书里看到的主张 |
[14:03] | The random result that eventually creates | 随机的结果最终造就了 |
[14:06] | a paradigm shift where everybody one morning wakes up, | 每个人早上起来 都可能会有模式上的转变 |
[14:09] | and they think the new way. | 随时都会有新的点子 |
[14:11] | And I believe that he thought that he was a paradigm shifter. | 我认为他相信着 他就是那个模式转变者 |
[14:15] | That was part of his story. He wanted to have a foot in both worlds. | 这就是他故事的一部份 他渴望在这两个世界立足 |
[14:19] | He wanted to be the renegade, but he also wanted to be legit. | 他想要当叛逆份子 又想要按照正统规矩来 |
[14:24] | This is the video deposition of Steven P Jobs. | 这是史蒂夫保罗乔布斯的 影像纪录 |
[14:29] | We are on the record at 9:22am. | 我们早上九点22分开始录影 |
[14:33] | Can we just sort of briefly go over your employment history after 1973? | 我们可以先很快地过一次 1973年后你的工作资历吗 |
[14:39] | I was employed by Atari, a maker of video games. | 我当时在雅达利公司上班 专门做电动游戏 |
[14:47] | -What timeframe? -I don’t know. Early ’70s. | -大概是什么时候 -我不知道 70年代早期吧 |
[15:04] | Creativity is a lot about anarchy. | 大部份的创意都没有准则 |
[15:10] | I had been in the video-game business two years | 我在电动游戏产业待了两年 |
[15:13] | and our corporate culture was really “work hard, play hard.” | 当时我们的企业文化 真的是”认真工作 认真玩” |
[15:18] | The true original sin of Apple | 也是苹果最初的原罪 |
[15:20] | literally takes place before the company is founded. | 在公司创立前就已经存在了 |
[15:23] | Jobs had left Reed College and now he was back in Silicon Valley. | 乔布斯离开了里德学院 现在他己经回到矽谷 |
[15:27] | Woz was working at HP. | 沃兹则在惠普上班 |
[15:29] | I was such a nerd. | 我就是一个书呆子 |
[15:31] | When I finished designing calculators at Hewlett-Packard in the daytime, | 当我完成白天在惠普的工作 也就是设计计算机的程式后 |
[15:34] | I would work on my own little projects. | 我就会进行我自己的专案计划 |
[15:36] | I saw “Pong” in a bowling alley, and I said, | 我在保龄球场看到”乓” 然后我说 |
[15:38] | “I know logic design, and I know electronics of televisions.” | “我懂逻辑设计 我也了解电视机” |
[15:41] | “I’ll use my home TV, snake a wire in,” and I built myself a “Pong.” | “我在我家的电视接上一条线 然后就有了自己的乓” |
[15:46] | Steve came back from Reed College | 史蒂夫从里德学院回来之后 |
[15:48] | and saw that I had built my own Pong game. | 他看到我自己做的”乓”游戏 |
[15:51] | And so that gave him the idea to go down to Atari. | 让他有了灵感 并在雅达利继续发展下去 |
[15:54] | And he went down, and he showed them the board | 他到了雅达利后 向大家展示这个点子 |
[15:56] | and he wound up with a job. | 结果他搞砸了 |
[15:58] | Steve came in and said, in typical Steve Jobs fashion, | 史蒂夫进来后 以他一贯的口吻说着 |
[16:01] | “I’m not going to leave until you hire me.” | “除飞你解雇我 不然我哪里也不去” |
[16:03] | And I really appreciated his intensity. He had one speed. Full on. | 我非常感谢他的韧性 他一旦决定了 就火力全开 |
[16:10] | I had one little project that everyone kept turning down. | 我当时有一个专案 没有人能够执行成功 |
[16:14] | It was a project called “Breakout.” | 这个专案叫作”突围” |
[16:15] | And finally I said, “Steve, hey, do this for me.” | 最后我说”史蒂夫 嘿 把这做出来给我看” |
[16:19] | In the back of my mind, | 在我的印象中 |
[16:20] | I knew that Woz was coming over all the time after working at HP all day, | 我知道沃兹从惠普下班后 常常过来这边 |
[16:26] | and I thought, “OK, I’ll put Steve on the night shift.” | 接着我就想”好吧 把乔布斯排夜班吧” |
[16:30] | “Woz will come over. | “如果沃兹也在场 |
[16:31] | I’ll get two Steves for the price of one.” | 我就可以 用单份薪水请到两个乔布斯” |
[16:33] | Steve said, “Nolan Bushnell of Atari wants another game built.” | 史蒂夫说”雅达利的 诺兰布希内尔想要创新游戏” |
[16:37] | But we only had four days, Steve said. | “可是我们只有四天” 史蒂夫这么说 |
[16:39] | When a game is made out of chips and it’s not a program, | 用芯片做成的游戏 跟写程式是不一样的 |
[16:42] | four days is, like, impossible. This is months’ worth of work. | 四天简直就是不可能的任务 这工程可以花上好几个月 |
[16:47] | I did the entire design, | 设计的部分由我全权负责 |
[16:48] | and then Steve would breadboard my design for a little while. | 接着史蒂夫会将我的设计 变成电路板 |
[16:52] | We were up four days and nights non-stop. Both got mononucleosis. | 我们四天四夜都没阖眼 两个人都得了单核细胞传染症 |
[16:57] | And we got “Breakout” delivered to Atari, | 最后我们创造了”突围”游戏 交给雅达利 |
[16:59] | and they paid for it. | 他们也买单了 |
[17:04] | Later on, Woz and I were out to dinner. | 在那之后 沃兹和我出去吃晚餐 |
[17:07] | He was talking about Breakout, | 他跟我聊到”突围” |
[17:10] | and I said, “Well, you know, you guys got paid pretty well for it.” | 我说”你知道的吧 你们两个做得很不错” |
[17:13] | He looked at me puzzled, and I said, | 他一脸困惑地看着我 我接着说 |
[17:16] | “Yeah, I mean, you did such a good job.” | “对啊 我的意思是 你们做得非常好” |
[17:19] | “I think there was at least a $5,000 bonus that you guys got.” | “我想你们至少可以赚到 五千块美元的奖金” |
[17:24] | So, yeah, he was paid $7,000, | 所以没错 公司付他七千元 |
[17:27] | and he told me that we were paid $700, | 但他告诉我其实只有七百元 |
[17:28] | and he wrote me a check for $350. | 然后只给了我一张 三百五十元的支票 |
[17:32] | You know, and that hurts because we were friends. | 你知道吗 我蛮难过的 因为我们是朋友 |
[17:34] | And do you do that to a friend? | 你竟然对朋友做出这种事 |
[17:36] | If he’d said, “I need the money,” I would have said, “Take it all.” | 如果他说”我需要这笔钱” 我可能会说”全部拿去吧” |
[17:39] | I was happy to be on the project. | 我很高兴能参与这专案 |
[17:42] | I think that Steve… | 我觉得乔布斯… |
[17:47] | …was very driven | 是个非常有动力的人 |
[17:50] | and would very often take shortcuts to achieve his goals. | 所以他会经常寻找 达到目标的捷径 |
[18:15] | Apple was a sitcom. It was a 30-year sitcom. | 苹果就是一个喜剧节目 一个持续了30年的喜剧节目 |
[18:19] | And Steve was the main character. | 史蒂夫则是其中的主要角色 |
[18:25] | This was written in December 1976. | 这些笔记写于1976年12月 |
[18:28] | In fact it starts out saying, “Who’s Apple,” so that was very early. | 事实上他开头就写了”苹果是谁” 所以历史非常悠久 |
[18:35] | He and Woz came in. Steve had long hair down his back. | 他和沃兹走了进来 史蒂夫的长发已经长到背了 |
[18:39] | He had a Ho Chi Minh beard, cutoffs, Birkenstocks. | 他留着胡志明市的那种胡子 剪破的裤子和勃肯鞋 |
[18:44] | And Wozniak was maybe a little bit upscale from that, but not much. | 而沃兹尼克可能比他好一点 但也没好多少 |
[18:48] | I used to like Intel’s advertising, | 我以前很喜欢英特尔的广告 |
[18:50] | So I called them up one day, and I said, “Who does your advertising?” | 有天我打给他们 我说”你们的广告是谁做的” |
[18:53] | They said, “Well, Regis McKenna.” “What’s a Regis McKenna?” | 他们说”这个嘛 是麦金纳” |
[18:56] | They said, “No, it’s a person.” | “麦金纳是什么东西” 他们说”不 他是一个人” |
[18:58] | Wozniak had a technical article on the Apple II. | 沃兹尼克写了一篇 苹果二代的技术文章 |
[19:02] | He wanted us to try to get it placed into a magazine. | 他希望我们试着 将这篇文章刊在杂志上 |
[19:05] | Nobody could read it. It was all technical jargon and so forth. | 结果没人要读 都是技术专业用语之类的 |
[19:10] | And so I told him I’d have to rewrite it, | 所以我告诉他 我必须重写 |
[19:12] | and he wasn’t happy about that. | 对此他不太高兴 |
[19:14] | He said, “No one’s going to rewrite my stuff.” | 他说”没有人可以 重写我的东西” |
[19:16] | I said, “Well, then there’s nothing I can do for you, | 我说”好吧 那么 没什么我能够帮你的了” |
[19:18] | so you might as well leave.” | “所以你可以离开了” |
[19:20] | Steve called back, and he pretty much convinced me | 史蒂夫后来打给我 他差不多将我说服 |
[19:23] | that he would be the person that we’d be dealing with | 就是他才是我们要对付的人 |
[19:25] | and that Wozniak would be designing and building things, | 所以沃兹尼克只会负责 设计以及建立相关事务 |
[19:29] | which is the way it happens in most businesses. | 这在很多生意上也很常见 |
[19:31] | The engineers are more back room | 工程师比较适合待在幕后 |
[19:32] | and you work with either the entrepreneur or the marketing people. | 你只能跟创业家或是 行销人才合作 |
[19:38] | Did you think early on that Steve could be the guy? | 早期你曾经想过 史蒂夫能成就大事吗 |
[19:40] | Oh, definitely. You just had to spend a few minutes with him and you knew it. | 毫无疑问 和他相处几分钟后 你就会知道了 |
[19:44] | He had the ability | 他有这份能力 |
[19:45] | to talk about the possibility of what this computer could be. | 侃侃而谈他的电脑 未来能有哪些可能性 |
[19:49] | And I think the key is not just talking about the product, | 我认为关键并非只有 对产品高谈阔论而已 |
[19:53] | but giving you an idea of what is possible using this product | 而是提出一个点子 一个怎么使用这产品的点子 |
[19:59] | and what the next generation is going to be like. | 以及下个世代会变成什么样子 |
[20:02] | So he gives people this feeling of forward movement. | 所以可以说是 他给了人们下一步的可能性 |
[20:06] | -How many calculators do you own? -Two, maybe. | -你有几台电子计算机 -两台 大概吧 |
[20:09] | Right, and do you use the automatic bank-telling machines? | 好 那你有用过 电子出纳机器吗 |
[20:12] | -Sure. -Life is already seducing you | -当然有 -在你学习这些事情时 |
[20:14] | into learning this stuff. It’s not going to happen at once, | 人生就己经在诱惑你了 这种事情不会只发生一次 |
[20:17] | and it’s certainly not a 1984-ish vision at all. | 而且这完全不是1984年代 预料到会发生的事 |
[20:21] | It’s just going to be very gradual and very human | 只会渐渐的变得很人性化 |
[20:24] | and will seduce you into learning how to use it. | 会吸引着你学会使用它 |
[20:28] | Transitioning from a hobby to a personal computer, | 个人使用电脑习惯的变迁 |
[20:32] | that whole idea was driven by Steve. | 整个点子都出自于史蒂夫 |
[20:34] | He was trying to say we need to differentiate ourselves | 他总是说着 我们必须改变自身 |
[20:37] | and really move out of this hobbyist realm. | 抽离从这种电脑爱好者的角色 |
[20:39] | It ended up coming out of the room saying, | 最后他走出房间时边说 |
[20:42] | “We’re going to call ourselves the personal computer.” | “我们要自称为个人电脑” |
[20:44] | Industry experts say | 业界专家评论道 |
[20:46] | we’re no longer on the verge of the personal computer revolution. | 我们再也不是处于 个人电脑的革命边缘 |
[20:49] | We’re right in the midst of it, thank you. | 我们现在正处在中心 谢谢你 |
[20:51] | And it’s gathering steam | 每天都有越来越多人的支持 |
[20:53] | with more and more people jumping aboard every day. | 这件事情越来越受到瞩目 |
[20:56] | I use my computer right now for mostly word processing. | 我现在会使用我的电脑 主要是用来处理文字 |
[21:00] | I use it for solar evaluation programs. | 我用电脑来评估太阳能计划 |
[21:04] | We put our entire accounting system on it. | 我们把所有会计系统 都放在电脑里 |
[21:06] | The wife can use it to store recipes. | 家庭主妇可以用它来 储存发票及开支 |
[21:08] | To balance my checkbook for me. | 平衡我的支票簿开支 |
[21:09] | We do the computer club’s bulletin. | 我们做了电脑俱乐部的布告 |
[21:11] | -Playing games. -Shopping by mail. | -打电动 -在网路上购物 |
[21:13] | -Budgeting. -Bowling-league type scores. | -编制预算 -计算保龄球联赛的得分 |
[21:15] | -Electronic mail. -A guy can be creative on it. | -电子邮件 -电脑在手 创意无穷 |
[21:18] | I mean, he can use it for whatever he can dream up. | 我的意思是 有了电脑 想做什么都没有问题 |
[21:20] | This is a 21st-century bicycle | 这是一辆二十一世纪脚踏车 |
[21:22] | that amplifies a certain intellectual ability that man has. | 它能够放大人类的智能 |
[21:26] | The effects that it’s going to have on society | 这影响正在社会中发酵 |
[21:29] | are actually going to far outstrip | 而且会越走越远 |
[21:31] | even those that the petrochemical revolution has had. | 就算已经经过了石油革命 |
[21:34] | Time magazine, I think, | 时代杂志 应该是吧 |
[21:35] | said single-handedly he created the industry because he was relentless. | 他们说因为他是无情的人 他一手创造了这荣景 |
[21:41] | The powers that be of “Time” magazine | 时代杂志的力量之大 |
[21:44] | decided that they would make the Man of the Year that particular year | 他们决定让该年的”年度风云人物” |
[21:50] | the Computer of the Year. | 变成”年度风云电脑” |
[21:52] | I was transferred to the bureau in San Francisco. | 我被调派到旧金山的总部 |
[21:56] | And gradually I began to cotton on to the fact | 接着我终于了解到事实真相 |
[21:59] | that there were a lot of stories in this part of California | 在加州这边有非常多的故事 |
[22:04] | between San Jose and San Francisco | 就在圣荷西和旧金山之间 |
[22:08] | about these odd, little companies | 关于这些小小的公司 |
[22:10] | that people on the East Coast at that point | 在当时东岸的人们 |
[22:13] | hadn’t heard about and really didn’t care about. | 尚未听说过什么 而且他们也不太在意 |
[22:16] | And then I got very interested in Apple | 然后我开始对苹果非常感兴趣 |
[22:19] | and Steve was, of the early characters in the company, | 而史蒂夫则是 这间公司早期的一个角色 |
[22:23] | the most articulate and the most interesting and the oddest. | 他是口齿最清晰 最有趣和最奇怪的那个 |
[22:29] | Steven Jobs helped build the first Apple computer in his garage. | 史蒂夫乔布斯在他的车库里 协助建造了第一台苹果电脑 |
[22:33] | He is now 26 years old and is chairman of the board. | 他今年26岁 他现在是董事长 |
[22:37] | There was some debate over whether or not they should use the name “Apple.” | 当时他们仍对”苹果”这名字 争论不休 |
[22:41] | You know, the whole model of the computer industry | 你知道的 整个电脑产业的模型 |
[22:44] | and the computer business was IBM. | 当时最大的电脑公司就是IBM |
[22:45] | Another business service of tomorrow made possible today by IBM. | IBM在明日的企业服务 成就了今日的可能性 |
[22:50] | IBM was an anonymous organization. | IBM是一个不具名组织 |
[22:53] | No one knew who the president was. They probably had no idea. | 没有人知道总栽是谁 他们什么都不知道 |
[22:56] | The IBM logo looked like it was carved out of Roman marble, you know? | 他们的商标看起来 就像用罗马大理石刻成的 |
[23:02] | It was just this monolithic kind of thing. | 看起来就像是一体成型 |
[23:04] | And we took just the opposite, which was, | 但我们往反方向思考 也就是 |
[23:07] | “Let’s make Steve very high profile. Let’s tell our story.” | “不如我们把史蒂夫捧红 让我们来说我们的故事” |
[23:11] | Working in this garage, Jobs and a high-school classmate | 在这间车库工作时 乔布斯和他的高中同学 |
[23:14] | quit their positions at large electronic companies, | 辞去了在科技大公司的工作 |
[23:16] | and using tiny silicon chips, built this small computer board. | 利用这些微小的矽胶芯片 创造了这个小小的电脑主机板 |
[23:31] | It later on became more of a look back | 后来反而变成了一种回顾 |
[23:34] | when people started doing stories on the background, and so forth. | 就是人们开始做生平事蹟 之类等等 |
[23:39] | You know, I told Steve this, and most of my clients in fact, | 你知道 我告诉史蒂夫 和我大部份的客户 |
[23:45] | there’s a song in Fiddler on the Roof that Tevye sings. | 有首歌叫”屋顶上的提琴手” 是泰维唱的 |
[23:49] | He says, “If I were a rich man.” And he said, “I’d sit in the temple, | 他说”如果我是富人””我会坐在庙宇中” |
[23:53] | and I’d lecture to the wise men all day long, | “然后对所有智者高谈阔论” |
[23:57] | and it wouldn’t matter if you’re right or wrong.” | “你说得有没有道理 一切都不再重要” |
[23:59] | “When you’re rich, they think you know.” | “只要你口袋里有钱 他们就觉得你知道一切” |
[24:00] | So, in a technology business, | 所以 在科技产业中 |
[24:02] | you have to show that you are successful in order to have a platform. | 你要表现得你很成功到 可以有自己的平台 |
[24:06] | It led to a quarter-billion-dollar business | 就可以到达 二点五亿美元的境界 |
[24:09] | and the most popular typewriter-sized computer on the market today. | 目前市面上打字机大小的电脑 |
[24:13] | Steve Jobs, I realize this is your baby, and you’ve made a career out of it, | 史蒂夫乔布斯 我知道这是你的结晶和事业 |
[24:18] | but you’re also something of a philosopher. | 但你有时候也很像个哲学家 |
[24:20] | Do you see the inherent possibility of bad coming out of all of this? | 你觉得接下来可能会有 什么负面的影响发生吗 |
[24:24] | Well, I think one of the things you really have to look at | 这个嘛 我觉得你一定要看看 |
[24:27] | is you have to go watch some kids using these things. | 就是你要观察 孩子们怎么使用东西 |
[24:30] | And what you find is far from something quite harmful. | 有时候你会发现 大肆破坏之外的事情 |
[24:33] | In effect, what you see | 实际上 你看到的是 |
[24:35] | is an instantaneous reflection of a part of themselves, | 是他们一部分的自然反应 |
[24:39] | the creative part of themselves being expressed. | 接着开始出现他们 有创意的那部分 |
[24:49] | He was going for a computer that really felt like an extension of the self. | 他埋首于电脑之中 仿佛那就是他自己的延伸 |
[24:56] | That’s what people wanted, and I think he sensed that. He knew that. | 那正是人们想要的 我认为他也感觉到了 他懂的 |
[25:01] | My first book on the computer culture was called “The Second Self.” | 我的第一本电脑书 就叫做”第二个自己” |
[25:05] | The key quote that gave me the title was, | 让我以此命名的关键引言是 |
[25:08] | “When you think of a computer, | “说到一部电脑” |
[25:10] | you put a little piece of your mind into the computer’s mind, | “你将你自己一部分的心思 放进电脑之中” |
[25:14] | and you come to think of yourself differently.” | “然后你开始用 不一样的方式思考自己” |
[25:17] | Our whole company, our whole philosophical base, | 我们整间公司 最基础的哲学思想 |
[25:23] | is founded on one principle. And that one principle | 都建立在一个准则之上 而这个准则 |
[25:27] | is that there’s something very special and very historically different | 就是总有一些特别的事 具有非常独特的历史意义 |
[25:32] | that takes place when you have one computer and one person. | 只要一个人加上一台电脑 这些事情就会发生 |
[25:38] | Did you have an opportunity to meet Jobs? | 你曾经有机会见到乔布斯吗 |
[25:40] | Yes, I met him on several occasions. | 有的 我曾经在不同场合 见过他几次 |
[25:43] | And did you sense from talking to him | 那么在和他谈话过程中 你感觉得到 |
[25:45] | that he really did understand what he was doing? | 这个人真的知道他在做什么吗 |
[25:47] | I think he understood what he was doing. | 我认为他知道自己在干嘛 |
[25:51] | He knew he had created something intimate | 他知道他创造了很人性化的东西 |
[25:54] | and that could be sold as something intimate. | 可以用很人性化的方式 销售出去 |
[25:57] | And it would be you. I mean, it would be for you. | 而这可能就是你 我是说 专为你而存在 |
[26:00] | It wasn’t just for you. It was you. | 并不是为你存在 它就是你 |
[26:10] | Can you just show me the front of it? | 你可以让我看一下正面吗 |
[26:12] | That’s the part that most people would recognize. | 这是人们最能够辨认的部分 |
[26:15] | This is a piece that everybody remembers from the ads, | 这部分就是 大家会从广告中记得的 |
[26:19] | from the Time magazine cover with Steve holding it in his lap. | 刊登在时代杂志封面 史蒂夫将它放在膝盖上 |
[26:26] | And this is the famous beige that we’re never going to have any more of. | 这台是最有名的裸色 我们已经停产了 |
[26:29] | He hated this even at this time, | 在那时候他也不喜欢这个 |
[26:31] | but we were kind of stuck with it by the time we got there. | 但当时我们刚做出来时 我们有点卡住了 |
[26:37] | It was a fun little machine. | 这是一台有趣的小机器 |
[26:44] | He called me just out of the blue. I was working at Xerox. | 他有天突然打给我 我那时候在施乐上班 |
[26:49] | And I picked up the phone, and it was Steve Jobs. | 我接起电话 另一头是史蒂夫乔布斯 |
[26:52] | And he said, “I hear you’re a good guy, | 然后他说”我听说你是个不错的家伙” |
[26:56] | but everything you’ve done so far is crap. Come work for me.” | “但至今你做的都是垃圾 来我这里工作吧” |
[27:00] | I told my wife at the time. I said, “Well, what could happen?” | 我告诉了我太太 我说”嗯 会怎么样呢” |
[27:05] | “How bad could this be?” | “结果能有多坏” |
[27:09] | I didn’t realize how bad it could be. | 我当时不了解 结果能有多么糟糕 |
[27:15] | First trip Steve ever made to Japan | 史蒂夫第一次去日本 |
[27:17] | was to see what we could do about getting a disc drive for the machine. | 是希望能看看 我们能不能弄到一台磁碟机 |
[27:20] | And we saw the Sony disc facility in Atsugi, Japan. | 然后我们在日本厚木市看到了 索尼的磁碟设备 |
[27:25] | He had a lot of affection for Sony because the Walkman was a machine | 看到随身听之后 他就迷上了索尼 |
[27:30] | that he just thought was the bee’s knees. | 他觉得这点子实在太棒了 |
[27:33] | You really feel the music with a Sony Walkman | 听着索尼的随身听 真的可以享受音乐 |
[27:36] | The Sony Walkman is a tiny stereo cassette player | 索尼随身听是一台小小的 立体声音乐播放器 |
[27:39] | with truly incredible sound. | 它的音质非常出色 |
[27:42] | You really feel the music You really feel it | 仿佛置身音乐之中 你真的感觉得到 |
[27:44] | I think it was the first product in human history | 我认为这是人类史上 第一台产品 |
[27:47] | that went over a billion units. That he liked. | 第一台超过上亿台的机器 它非常喜欢 |
[27:51] | One of things that Steve thought was important, | 史蒂夫想到一件很重要的事情 |
[27:54] | and Jerry Manock facilitated it, was this is where all the signatures are. | 杰瑞曼那克实现了 这里是所有人的签名 |
[27:58] | And they’re all the people, the original group, | 所有原始团队的人都在这里 |
[28:02] | that actually signed the machine. There’s Steve Jobs right in the middle. | 他们真的签在机器上面 正中间是史蒂夫乔布斯的签名 |
[28:10] | My name is over here. | 我的名字在这里 |
[28:12] | Why did you do that? | 你这样做的理由是 |
[28:13] | Because the people that worked on it consider themselves, | 为这付出的人们 他们将自己视为… |
[28:17] | and I certainly consider them, artists. | 我也绝对认同他们为艺术家 |
[28:20] | These are the people that under different circumstances | 在不同环境之下 这些人可能都会是 |
[28:22] | would be painters and poets, but, because of the time that we live in, | 画家或是诗人 但是由于我们身处的时代 |
[28:27] | this new medium has appeared | 新的媒介随之产生了 |
[28:29] | in which to express oneself to one’s fellow species. | 让人能够向自己的同伴 表达自己 |
[28:32] | And that’s a medium of computing. | 而这媒介就是电脑 |
[28:41] | We would sit in the temples in Kyoto, | 我们坐在京都的寺庙中 |
[28:45] | just taking off our shoes at the door and sitting. | 我们的鞋子放在门口 就这样坐着 |
[29:03] | Did he take from that any kind of aesthetic vision, do you think? | 他从那里带回另一种美学视野 你不觉得吗 |
[29:07] | I think certainly. A simplicity. | 我也是这样想 这是一种简约性 |
[29:13] | Just feeling that inner calm | 单纯的感受到内在的平静 |
[29:16] | that’s so available at some places in Japan. | 在日本某些地方 可以感受到这种平静 |
[29:22] | He was a very much a person who was comfortable in silence. | 他是那种保持安静 会感觉很舒服的人 |
[29:36] | Steve ruled by a kind of a chaos. And it’s easy to make chaos, | 史蒂夫用混乱控制一切 但制造混乱非常简单 |
[29:40] | and if you’re comfortable with it, you can use it as a tool. | 如果你能够与之安然共处 你就能将它变成工具 |
[29:44] | And he used a vast number of really irritating tools | 他会用一些天文数字 当作刺激的手段 |
[29:48] | to get other people involved in his schemes. | 好让其它人也加入他的阴谋 |
[29:52] | He’s seducing you, he’s vilifying you and he’s ignoring you. | 他会先吸引你 然后抹黑你 最后他会弃你不顾 |
[29:59] | You’re in one of those three states. | 就是这三个阶段 |
[30:03] | When you get a core group of, you know, ten great people, | 在一个核心团队 大概有十个天才在里面 |
[30:08] | it becomes self-policing as to who they let into that group. | 他们就会自我监管 只要他们认可这团员 |
[30:12] | So, I consider the most important job of someone like myself is recruiting. | 所以像我这种人 最重要的工作就是招募 |
[30:18] | Steve Jobs brought us all together in a place that had no rules. | 史蒂夫乔布斯将我们聚在一起 组成一个没有规则的团队 |
[30:21] | He’s a maniac. He’s a maniacal genius. | 他很疯狂 是一个疯狂的天才 |
[30:24] | His job is to stir up everything. | 他的工作是尽可能刺激一切 |
[30:26] | Most places in life are continuously telling you | 生命中有很多事情 都在持续的告诉你 |
[30:30] | that your dreams aren’t possible or practical. | 你的梦想没有可能完成 一点都不实际 |
[30:32] | You don’t want to hear that when you’re under 30. | 你三十岁以前 可能不想听到这些话 |
[30:34] | What you want to do is race after them. | 你要做的就是尽力去拼 |
[30:36] | You ask yourself, why are you doing it? | 你扪心自问 你为什么要这样做 |
[30:38] | I’m certainly not doing it for Steve Jobs. | 我绝对不是为了史蒂夫乔布斯 才这样做的 |
[30:40] | I’m doing it for what I think is a much greater good than that. | 我这样做是因为我认为 一切都还能够更好 |
[30:42] | Everybody just wanted to work, not because it was work that had to be done, | 大家都努力工作 不是因为工作必须被完成 |
[30:46] | but it was because it was something that we really believed in. | 而是我们现在做的是 我们全心全意相信的事 |
[30:48] | Here is how we see personal computers. Here is how we want the world to be. | 我们现在看到个人电脑了 我们希望可以改变全世界 |
[30:54] | And here’s how we’re going to change it. | 而这就是我们 要怎么去改变全世界的方式 |
[30:56] | We have a vision of what we want it to be. | 我们对于将来的样子 己经有了愿景 |
[30:58] | We want to convert people. We want to make converts. | 我们想要改变人类 我们想要做出改变 |
[31:01] | I felt my job at Macintosh was to make the division work smoothly enough | 我觉得我在麦金塔的工作 就是让各部门间顺利地运作 |
[31:07] | that we could actually get this thing from really a mess of kids | 然后我们就像 是儿时玩玩具一般 |
[31:11] | playing around with a bunch of hardware and software | 把玩一堆又一堆的 硬件和软件零件 |
[31:14] | into something that would be a commercial product. | 并组成一个个 卖得出去的产品 |
[31:17] | And that’s what I did. I got that machine finished. | 这就是我的工作 我让这机器得以完成 |
[31:29] | It is now 1984. | 现在是1984年 |
[31:32] | IBM became the apparent visible threat. | IBM很明显成为我们的威胁 |
[31:35] | IBM wants it all, and is aiming its guns | IBM想独霸天下 所以把枪口指向 |
[31:38] | on its last obstacle to industry control. Apple. | 阻止它独占产业的唯一障碍 苹果 |
[31:43] | Will Big Blue dominate the entire computer industry? | 蓝巨人会不会 从此主宰电脑业 |
[31:46] | The entire information age? Was George Orwell right? | 主宰整个资讯时代 乔治欧威尔的预言会成真吗 |
[31:51] | Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary | 今天 我们欢庆一周年 |
[31:55] | over the information purification directives. | 透过资讯净化指令 |
[31:58] | That ad was again a juxtaposition with IBM. | 这个广告再次 让苹果与IBM并驾齐驱 |
[32:01] | -That’s what it was about. -Yeah. | -这才是最重要的 -没错 |
[32:03] | The people in the audience were mindless IBM users. | 这些观众都是盲目的IBM用户 |
[32:06] | Yes. You know, for Steve it was great | 没错 你知道 史蒂夫很喜欢 |
[32:08] | because he had this bad guy/good guy, and he loved playing that role. | 因为他喜欢扮演这种 亦正亦邪的角色 |
[32:13] | We shall prevail! | 誓不低头 |
[32:37] | Looking back, behind the scenes, it’s easy to see the irony in the ad. | 回顾过去 看看幕后 不难看见广告中的讽刺 |
[32:42] | Today, Apple is Goliath. | 现在 苹果就是巨人 |
[32:44] | Rolling. Rolling. | 开录 开录了 |
[32:46] | But even in 1984, when Apple cast itself as the counterculture company, | 然而即便在1984年 苹果将自己定位在非传统公司 |
[32:51] | working at Apple was a lot tougher than IBM. | 在苹果上班 可不比IBM轻松 |
[32:56] | I think if you talk to a lot of people on the Mac team, | 我认为如果你和电脑团队 大多数人聊过之后 |
[32:59] | they will tell you it was the hardest they’ve ever worked in their life. | 他们会告诉你这是他们这辈子 做过最困难的一份工作 |
[33:05] | Some of them will tell you it was, you know, | 有些人会说这是 你知道的 |
[33:07] | the happiest they’ve ever been in their life, | 他们人生中最快乐的工作 |
[33:09] | but I think all of them will tell you | 但我认为他们全体都会说 |
[33:11] | that it is certainly one of the most intense and cherished experiences | 这绝对是 他们终其一生 |
[33:14] | they will ever have in their life. | 最扎实及珍贵的经历之一 |
[33:16] | -Mm-hmm. Yeah, they did. -So… | -没错 他们有说 -所以… |
[33:21] | You know… | 你懂的… |
[33:25] | Some of those things are not sustainable for some people. | 对有些人来说 这件事情不能这样下去 |
[33:35] | I ended up changing my entire life. I lost my wife in that process. | 我的人生都完蛋了 我因为这个失去我老婆 |
[33:40] | I lost my children in that process. I lost… | 我因为这个失去我的孩子 我失去了… |
[33:44] | The whole structure of my life was just changed forever | 我人生架构从此改变 |
[33:48] | by going and working on the Mac. | 就在我加入苹果公司之后 |
[33:52] | Because the work became so intense? The work was intense. | -因为工作压力很大 -压力非常大 |
[33:56] | The commitment needed to do it was intense. | 协议就是如此 压力很大 |
[33:58] | I would go into work on a Tuesday morning and half the people would hate me, | 我可能礼拜二早上去上班 超过一半的人都会恨我 |
[34:03] | and I’d come back on Wednesday morning, | 接着我礼拜三早上 到公司的时候 |
[34:05] | and half the people would hate me, but it was the other half. | 还是会有一半的人恨我 只不过是另外一半 |
[34:08] | There were an awful lot of prima donnas in that outfit, | 这里有很多 以自我为中心的人 |
[34:10] | so I was always in conflict. | 我总是处在冲突之中 |
[34:16] | Here’s the piece you wrote. You want to read it? | 这里是你写的文章 你想要念一下吗 |
[34:21] | “Steve’s passing did come as a bit of a shock for me.” | “史蒂夫的逝世 多多少少让我有点震惊” |
[34:26] | “For a bit more than three years, 1982 to 1985, | “在1982年到1985间 这三年多的时间” |
[34:31] | we were together a lot of the time.” | “我们当时都在一起” |
[34:34] | “We made a dozen trips to Japan together. We were close.” | “我们去了好多次日本 我们非常熟悉彼此” |
[34:38] | “After that, I only saw him a few times.” | “在那之后 我只看过他几次” |
[34:41] | “I haven’t seen him in many years.” | “我已经很多年没看到他了” |
[34:44] | “He was an extraordinary person in many ways and quite normal in others.” | “他是一个在各方面 都很出色的正常人” |
[34:48] | “The outpouring of feelings from people all over the world | “全世界所有人的感情 倾泻而出” |
[34:52] | was a bit of a surprise to me at first, and then it seemed natural.” | “起初我很吃惊 渐渐的就觉得很合理” |
[34:57] | “He was for them a combination of James Dean, | “他就像是詹姆士迪恩” |
[35:00] | Princess Diana and John Lennon | “戴安娜王妃 约翰蓝侬 |
[35:02] | and maybe Santa Claus.” | 大概再加圣诞老人的综合体” |
[35:04] | “What is in that bag of goodies?” | “像不像一整袋的糖果呢” |
[35:08] | “The iPod, the iPhone and the iPad are so personal.” | “音乐播放器 手机 还有平版电脑都十分个人化” |
[35:12] | “They are warm in your hand. They sing to you when you’re alone.” | “拿在手上是如此温暖 你孤单的时候唱歌给你听” |
[35:17] | “They are caressed.” | “它们备受呵护” |
[35:21] | “In those three years together, | “在我们常相处的那三年里” |
[35:23] | I packed in a decade or two of experience.” | “我拥有的是 十年或二十年的回忆” |
[35:26] | “Steve packed in a couple of centuries in his 56 years.” | “史蒂夫在他56年的人生中 拥有了两世纪的份量” |
[35:31] | “He did everything he wanted, and all on his own terms.” | “他做了所有他想做的事情 全部按照他的方式来做” |
[35:36] | “It was a life well and fully lived, | “他这辈子活得很好 活得很充实” |
[35:39] | even if it was a bit expensive for those of us who were close.” | “虽然对曾与他如此熟悉的我 代价是如此昂贵” |
[35:47] | You do have friends, you know? Even if they’re bizarre people. | 你其实是有朋友的 你知道吗 即便他们是怪胎 |
[35:55] | Yes. He is. He’s one of those mythic characters. | 没错 他是其中 最谜样的人物 |
[35:58] | Yeah, and they’re not that much fun on the ground most of the time, | 是的 而且和他们一起的时候 并没那么有趣 |
[36:05] | but there are those moments when suddenly… | 但突然的确有些时候… |
[36:11] | They’re the only person who could’ve ever done it. | 他们是做出一番创举 不可或缺的人物 |
[36:13] | Right. | 没错 |
[36:15] | -Yeah, and they change us. -Right. | -对 他们改变了我们 -是的 |
[36:32] | Without death, there would be very little progress. | 没有死亡 就没有进步 |
[36:35] | I’m sure that life evolved without death at first | 一开始我确信 生命没有死亡也能进化 |
[36:39] | and found that without death, life didn’t work very well. | 接着我发现没有死亡 生命就无法做到最好 |
[36:44] | Because it didn’t make room for the young | 因为年轻一辈就不会有机会 |
[36:48] | who didn’t know how the world was, you know, 50 years ago, | 那些年轻人并不知道 世界在50年前是什么样子 |
[36:53] | but who saw it as it is today without any preconceptions | 但他们将以前视为今天 不带任何偏见 |
[36:56] | and dreamed how it could be based on that. | 然后以此为基准 梦想着未来会是如何 |
[37:04] | The minute that you understand that you can poke life, | 你了解到 你能够摸摸你的生命的那刻 |
[37:07] | you can change it, you can mold it, | 你就能改变它 为它塑型 |
[37:09] | you’ll want to change life and make it better | 你就会想要改变你的生命 将它变得更好 |
[37:12] | cos it’s kind of messed up in a lot of ways. | 因为它很容易 从很多方面搞砸 |
[37:15] | Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again. | 一旦有了前车之鉴 你就不会重蹈覆辙 |
[37:23] | Just be here. | 在那里就好 |
[37:25] | Don’t judge, don’t try, don’t stop, | 别评论 别尝试 别停下来 |
[37:28] | don’t start. Just be here. | 也不要开始 在那里就好 |
[37:31] | It’s all just enough. | 这样就够了 |
[37:36] | It’s enough to know that I love you. | 知道我爱你就好了 |
[37:42] | Steve and I met two weeks into our freshman year at Reed College. | 史蒂夫和我在里德学院 大一入学两周后认识 |
[37:47] | We had both happened to buy “Be Here Now.” | 我们都碰巧买了”活在当下” |
[37:51] | And it was such an unusual book. I just wanted… | 看起来就是不寻常的书 我就只是想要… |
[37:55] | I was carrying it around and wanted somebody to talk to about it, | 拿着它到处走 希望有人能跟我聊聊它 |
[37:59] | and Steve was the one person who also had read it. | 而史蒂夫就是那个 也有读过这本书的人 |
[38:09] | When we went to India, we were looking for remarkable experiences. | 我们去印度的时候 我们想要难忘的记忆 |
[38:16] | We didn’t have a guru. We didn’t have a particular school. | 我们没有大师领进门 也没有去那些专门学校 |
[38:19] | And so we traveled around for four months. | 所以我们到处旅行了四个月 |
[38:22] | Had some interesting experiences. No major enlightenment experiences. | 有一些很有趣的经验 没什么特别的启蒙事件 |
[38:30] | Steve’s quote later was, | 史蒂夫的原话是 |
[38:32] | “We had figured out that we weren’t going to meet somebody | “我们都弄清了 我们不会遇到…” |
[38:35] | who was going to make us enlightened.” | “那个会启发我们的人” |
[38:40] | If you think about Hindu spirituality, | 如果你想到印度教的灵修 |
[38:42] | you think of Mother Teresa feeding the poor. | 你会想到泰瑞莎修女 喂养穷人的事情 |
[38:46] | That’s not really the path that Steve took. | 这并不是史蒂夫想走的道路 |
[38:50] | Those weren’t Steve’s values. | 这并非史蒂夫的价值所在 |
[38:55] | It was the next year, after India, | 去印度后的隔年 |
[38:57] | when he connected with the Zen Center in Los Altos. | 他和洛思阿图斯的禅修中心联络 |
[39:02] | Zen is about clarity, simplicity, cleanliness. | 禅修说的是纯粹 简约和净化 |
[39:09] | Ending the duality of your ego and simplifying your life. | 终结自尊的二重性 将人生变得更单纯 |
[39:15] | And that really appealed to Steve. | 这些都吸引着史蒂夫 |
[39:18] | It’s based on taking off and creating something for yourself. | 这基本上是一种 蜕变后的再造 |
[39:23] | You know, giving life to your own life in whatever way you wish to do it. | 就像是为自身注入新生命 用任何你期许的方式进行 |
[39:28] | At the time he was starting Apple, | 当时苹果电脑正起步 |
[39:31] | Steve was very actively looking for a mentor. | 史蒂夫非常积极的寻找心灵导师 |
[39:39] | Kobun Chino would become Jobs’s spiritual advisor. | 乙川弘文成为了乔布斯的 灵魂向导 |
[39:43] | Kobun encouraged Jobs not to retreat into a monastery, | 乙川鼓励乔布斯 不需要进到寺庙中 |
[39:47] | but instead to find Zen in his life and work. | 而是藉由禅修中心 继续保持人生与工作 |
[39:51] | But they would argue over the path to enlightenment. | 有时他们也会为了启蒙之路 而争论不休 |
[40:08] | Steve always says, “Make me monk. Please make me monk.” | 史蒂夫总是说”让我出家 请让我出家” |
[40:15] | I say, “Not until proof.” | 我说”你没有证明就不行” |
[40:20] | When I was living in California, 23 years ago… | 当时我住在加州 大约23年前 |
[40:26] | Midnight… | 午夜时刻… |
[40:28] | I answered the doorbell and there he is. | 我去应门 他站在门口 |
[40:33] | 18 years old, he was. | 当时他才十八岁 |
[40:36] | And he wanted to see me. | 他想要见我 |
[40:40] | And I looked into his eyes, and… | 我看着他的眼睛 然后… |
[40:44] | They looked terrible, but he is not crazy. | 他的双眼看起来很糟 但他并没有疯 |
[40:48] | I must talk with him. | 我必须和他谈谈 |
[40:51] | I took him for a walk through the downtown of Los Altos. | 我和他去散步 走过洛思阿图斯的小镇 |
[40:58] | All stores closed. | 所以的商店都打烊了 |
[41:00] | One bar called The Teacup was open. | 一家叫做茶杯的酒吧还开着 |
[41:07] | We sat down at the counter. | 我们进去后坐在吧台 |
[41:12] | I had Irish coffee and he had juice. | 我喝了爱尔兰咖啡 他喝了果汁 |
[41:18] | After sipping, he started to talk. | 喝了几口后 他开始说话 |
[41:24] | He said, “I feel I’m enlightened.” | 他说”我觉得我被启发了” |
[41:29] | “I don’t know what to do with this.” | “我不知道该怎么办” |
[41:35] | That’s wonderful. That is very wonderful. | 太美妙了 实在太奇妙了 |
[41:43] | I need proof of it. | 我要看到证明 |
[41:50] | A week later he came back | 一周后他回来找我 |
[41:53] | with a little metal sheet in his hand. | 手上拿着一块小小的金属板 |
[42:00] | Many things were going, wires going around… | 上面有很多东西 到处都是电线 |
[42:04] | I didn’t know what it was. | 我根本不知道这是什么 |
[42:07] | It was a chip of a personal computer. | 那是一台个人电脑的芯片 |
[42:14] | He said, “I designed it. My friend Woz helped me.” | 他说”这是我设计的 我的朋友沃兹帮了我的忙” |
[42:21] | “This is called Lisa.” | “它叫做丽莎” |
[42:26] | “I named it Lisa.” | “我将它取名做丽莎” |
[42:29] | Which is the name of his daughter. | 这也是他女儿的名字 |
[42:36] | That was the origin of Apple Computer. | 这就是苹果电脑的起源 |
[42:42] | And I’m still not quite sure that was a true proof or not. | 但我仍然不是很确定 这算不算是证明 |
[42:49] | He’s brilliant, but too smart, I think. | 他聪明过人 但我认为有点太聪明了 |
[42:59] | When you broke the Lisa story, why was that important? | 当你破解了丽莎的故事 想想它为何如此重要 |
[43:04] | There was a computer called “Lisa.” | 它是一台叫做”丽莎”的电脑 |
[43:07] | And everybody wondered who the computer was named after. | 每个人都在想 这台电脑究竟是以谁命名 |
[43:14] | I didn’t choose to name the computer “Lisa.” | 我并非选择 将它命名为”丽莎” |
[43:18] | I was obviously curious about why it was named “Lisa”. | 我非常困惑 还是不懂它为何叫丽莎 |
[43:24] | Fair or unfair, I think that was, | 不管公平不公平 我认为这就是 |
[43:26] | to me, that was a germane part of the story. | 对我而言 这就是最贴近这故事的部份 |
[43:51] | I was 17, sitting in the quad. | 我当时17岁 坐在一个方台上 |
[43:54] | Early spring, warm and cold at the same time. | 那时候是早春 又温暖又冷冽 |
[43:57] | And I look over, and there’s this guy I have never seen. | 我到处看了看 看到一个没看过的男生 |
[44:03] | I’ve been there for three years. I can’t believe how gorgeous he is. | 我在这里待了三年 我不敢相信这个人有多出色 |
[44:09] | And he starts to walk out of the quad, and I followed him | 接着他走离方台 我跟了上去 |
[44:16] | cos I thought, “I’ve got to introduce myself to him.” | 因为我想着”我一定要向他自我介绍” |
[44:20] | And I’m going, “What do I say?” I had no idea what to say. | 然后我又想”我要说什么” 我完全想不到要怎么说 |
[44:25] | A few months later, I was working on a film. | 几个月后 我在一间公司上班 |
[44:28] | We worked all night long, and he walks up out of the dark. | 我们常常加班到很晚 然后他从黑暗中走了出来 |
[44:34] | He was confident and awkward. He was a study in contrasts. | 他看起来很有自信但有点尴尬 他就是一个反差很大的人 |
[44:38] | And he had jeans on that drooped because they had so many holes in them. | 他的牛仔裤上有很多洞 所以看起来垂垂的 |
[44:44] | And he was very intentional, very intense. | 他看起来很有目标 也非常紧张 |
[44:48] | And then he handed me a poem by Bob Dylan. | 然后他拿给我一首诗 是鲍伯狄伦做的 |
[44:54] | “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.” | “楼下的愁容小姐” |
[44:59] | He would re-write Dylan’s songs to fit his life. | 他会改编狄伦的歌 更符合他的生活 |
[45:05] | And then he… he just scanned the quad | 然后他扫视一下方台 |
[45:09] | and the darkness that went over his face… | 脸上扫过一抹黑暗 |
[45:14] | The edge, the worry, the dissonance, was shocking to me. | 脸的边缘 那抹担忧 充满了不和谐的感觉吓到了我 |
[45:21] | And I was young enough where I thought, “Did I say something wrong?” | 我那时候还太年轻 想着”我有做错什么事吗” |
[45:25] | But later I realized that wasn’t what it was. | 但稍后我了解到 事情不是这样 |
[45:28] | That was part of who he was. | 这也是一部份的他 |
[45:30] | And I mean, that was one of the things that I was attracted to, | 我觉得 这也是 我被他吸引的其中一部份 |
[45:33] | is that he had a lot going on inside him. | 就是他内心有很多思绪 |
[45:39] | Steve was a romantic, and he really loved Chrisann. | 史蒂夫很浪漫 而且他真的很爱克里斯安 |
[45:43] | I think she was a seductive force in his life, | 我认为她是他人生中 很大的动力 |
[45:47] | and there was a part of Steve that didn’t want to push that away. | 这也是史蒂夫不想失去的部份 |
[45:54] | But the main thing in Steve’s life, number one, | 但在史蒂夫的人生中 排在第一顺位的 |
[45:56] | was getting Apple off the ground. | 是让苹果变得成功 |
[46:00] | And he just really could not focus on anything else. | 他当时真的无法 兼顾其它事情 |
[46:05] | I came out in June of ’77, | 我在77年6月出来后 |
[46:08] | and the three of us went and rented a house in Cupertino. | 我们三个人来到库比蒂诺 并在这租房子 |
[46:15] | Apple is beginning. Steve and I are falling in love again. | 苹果正在起步 史蒂夫和我再次陷入爱河 |
[46:19] | But we’re going back and forth big time now. | 我们正经历一段重大时期 |
[46:22] | It’s just like I’m insecure because he’s so unkind, | 但我很没有安全感 因为他实在太刻薄了 |
[46:26] | and then we connect. | 然后我们会沟通 |
[46:32] | But I don’t know how to handle how fast Steve’s mind is | 我不太懂得应对 史蒂夫的脑袋转太快了 |
[46:36] | and how fast he throws negative stuff at me. | 快到他会丢一些负面的想法给我 |
[46:39] | And by the time I figure out, “I’ve got to get out of here…” Um… | 那时候我想着”我必须要跳脱这窘境” |
[46:48] | “This is not working.” | “这样行不通的” |
[46:53] | Um… “I don’t want to be in their club, Daniel’s or just even with Steve.” | “我不想待在他们的俱乐部里 不管丹尼尔有没有一起” |
[46:57] | “It’s just not working.” That’s when I got pregnant. | “真的行不通的” 然后我就发现我怀孕了 |
[47:04] | What happened when you told Steve that you were pregnant? Um… | 你告诉史蒂夫你怀孕之后 他有什么反应 |
[47:10] | I told Steve in the dining room. | 我是在用餐间告诉他的 |
[47:13] | Steve’s jaw clenched. | 史蒂夫的下巴都皱在一起 |
[47:19] | And searing anger… | 看起来很愤怒 |
[47:23] | And he runs out the door, kind of like a teenager, | 然后他跑出家里 就像一个青少年一样 |
[47:26] | slams the door. | 用力的把门甩上 |
[47:39] | She got pregnant. And Steve just was, “Not… not… not me.” | 她怀孕了 史蒂夫的反应是”不是我的” |
[47:46] | “It’s not me. It’s not me,” right? | “不是我的 不是我的” 懂吗 |
[47:49] | Even though that was not a reasonable thing to say. | 即便当时没有一个合理的说法 |
[47:55] | After Lisa was born, Steve came up three days later. | 丽莎出生后三天 史蒂夫来找我 |
[47:59] | And we’re sitting in a field, and he… | 我们坐在田野间 然后他… |
[48:02] | We’re like, trying to negotiate… | 我们差不多像是在协商 |
[48:07] | …what name we both feel good about for her. | 要为女儿取一个 我们两个都喜欢的名字 |
[48:10] | He knows he’s the father. | 他知道他是她的父亲 |
[48:15] | He comes with the idea of wanting to call her Claire, | 他想到一个点子 想要将她取名做克莱儿 |
[48:20] | and I don’t want Claire because it’s too much like Clara, | 但我不喜欢克莱儿这名字 因为听起来很像克莱拉 |
[48:23] | his mother’s name. | 他妈妈的名字 |
[48:25] | So, we’re looking through the book, | 所以 我们继续翻著书 |
[48:27] | and we’re thinking and going back and forth, | 我们想了一阵子 前前后后的想 |
[48:29] | trying different names, and finally I go, “Lisa!” | 想要与众不同的名字 最后我说”丽莎” |
[48:33] | He said, “Yeah!” We both loved that name. | 他说”好啊” 我们都喜欢这个名字 |
[48:38] | But later I realized he wanted to name a line of computers | 但随后我发现他想要 为下一系列的电脑 |
[48:44] | or the next computer the “Claire.” | 或是下一台电脑作”克莱儿” |
[48:47] | I only knew this later. | 我是之后才知道的 |
[48:50] | He went back to Apple and changed it to the “Lisa.” | 他之后回到苹果 才改回”丽莎” |
[49:01] | It says a lot about somebody | 有很多人说 |
[49:04] | that they would have the wit, the imagination, the audacity, | 一个机智有想像力 又大胆的人 |
[49:12] | to name a computer in the fashion that Steve named this | 用史蒂夫这样时髦的方式 命名这台电脑 |
[49:17] | and believe that you’re going to be able to get away with it. | 然后相信你可以摆脱它 |
[49:25] | That is the sort of very telling anecdote | 大部份的传闻都是这样说的 |
[49:29] | that helps illuminate somebody’s personality. | 用这样的故事 鲜明了那个人的个性 |
[49:41] | My biological mother was a young, unwed graduate student, | 我的生母是一位 大学毕业的年轻单亲妈妈 |
[49:45] | and she decided to put me up for adoption. | 然后她决定把我送去领养 |
[49:48] | So, everything was all set | 原本 大事抵定 |
[49:50] | for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. | 我会被一名律师和他的妻子收养 |
[49:54] | Except that when I popped out, | 不过到我出现前的 |
[49:56] | they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. | 最后一刻他们才决定 想要一个女儿 |
[50:00] | So, my parents, who were on a waiting list, | 所以 本来还在等候清单上的养父母 |
[50:02] | got a call in the middle of the night, asking, | 在某天凌晨接到一通电话 |
[50:05] | “We’ve got an unexpected baby boy. Do you want him?” | 问”我们有个预期外的男孩””你们想要他吗” |
[50:09] | They said, “Of course.” | 他们说”当然好啊” |
[50:13] | My biological mother found out later | 我的生母不久后发现 |
[50:15] | that my mother had never graduated from college | 我的养母 并不是从大学毕业的 |
[50:18] | and that my father had never graduated from high school. | 我的养父也没有高中毕业 |
[50:21] | She refused to sign the final adoption papers. | 因此她拒绝签下 最后的领养同意书 |
[50:25] | She only relented a few months later | 但几个月后她就心软了 |
[50:27] | when my parents promised that I would go to college. | 因为我的养父母承诺 会让我去上大学 |
[50:32] | This was the start in my life. | 这就是我生命的起点 |
[50:38] | You know, another paradox for him, you know, here’s a guy, | 你知道 他另一个矛盾的点是 就是 这个人 |
[50:41] | you know, being pissed off that he was left for adoption, | 非常生气 因为他被养父母抛弃 |
[50:44] | and when he has a child, he wants to run the other way. | 那时他还是个孩子 他想要走别条路 |
[50:47] | Yes, that’s a huge paradox. | 没错 这是最大的矛盾 |
[50:50] | Even when I first met Steve, the fact that he was given up for adoption | 就连我第一次遇到史蒂夫时 他被养父母抛弃的事实 |
[50:55] | was a huge emotional issue in his life. | 在他人生中仍是 很大的情绪议题 |
[51:01] | I was, I remember, right here on the lawn | 我记得 我就在 这草坪上 |
[51:05] | telling Lisa McMoyler, who lived across the street, that I was adopted, | 告诉丽莎麦克莫伊勒 她就住在我被领养的对街 |
[51:10] | and she said, “So, does that mean your real parents didn’t want you?” | 然后她说”所以这表示 你的亲生父母不要你吗” |
[51:14] | Ooh, lightening bolt. I remember running into the house. | 一句话惊醒梦中人 我记得我跑回房子 |
[51:17] | I think I started crying, asking my parents, and they sat me down. | 我好像开始哭了 问我的父母 他们叫我坐下 |
[51:21] | They said, “No, you don’t understand.” | 他们说”不 你不了解” |
[51:23] | They said, “We specifically picked you.” | 他们说”你是我们挑选过的” |
[51:29] | That was clearly a very defining image in his life, | 那成了他人生中 很鲜明的一个画面 |
[51:33] | both that he was rejected and that he was special. | 就是他被拒绝了 但他又很特别 |
[51:39] | The IPO was November 1980. | 首次公开募股 是在1980年十一月 |
[51:41] | By the summer of 1980, it was clear it was going to happen, | 1980那年的夏天 我们都很清楚这即将发生 |
[51:45] | and so Steve’s net worth was going to go from $10 million | 史蒂夫那时的身价 已经差不多达到1000万美元 |
[51:48] | to around $200 million. | 到两亿美元之间 |
[51:51] | And I think he had the opportunity to completely reinvent himself. | 而我认为他有机会 能够再出发 |
[51:57] | In his reinvention, some people who helped him were left behind. | 在他的重生中 有些帮助过他的人被抛在脑后 |
[52:03] | Woz had no taste for management, | 沃兹对管理一窍不通 |
[52:05] | so he left Apple with a big stock package and a lifetime stipend. | 所以他带着很多股票离开苹果 和终身津贴 |
[52:10] | Daniel Kottke had been one of Apple’s first employees. | 丹尼尔卡堤是 苹果的第一名员工 |
[52:14] | In the run-up to the IPO, an Apple executive offered | 在首次公开募股中 苹果执行长提供了 |
[52:17] | to give Daniel the same amount of stock that Steve would give. | 和史蒂夫要给的一样多股票 给丹尼尔 |
[52:20] | Steve replied, “Fine. I’ll give him zero.” | 史蒂夫回覆”好 那我一毛都不给他” |
[52:29] | Jobs also saw an opportunity to rewrite his history with Chrisann. | 乔布斯也找到了机会 能重写他和克里斯安之间的历史 |
[52:33] | He composed a fiction which implied she had many sexual partners, | 他捏造了一个故事 暗示她有许多性伴侣 |
[52:38] | and he claimed he was sterile | 然后他声称他无法生育 |
[52:40] | and therefore did not have the physical capacity to procreate a child. | 因此他不具有 让女人怀孕的生理功能 |
[52:48] | A woman with a baby, and I was that threatening to them. | 一个带着孩子的女人 我对他们竟然是这么大的威胁 |
[52:53] | If he’d said, “I can’t do this, but let me help | 如果他说”我做不到” |
[52:56] | because I can be practical here,” | “但我可以养她 我可以派上一点用场” |
[53:00] | that would have been… …made for so much. | 那和现在会大不相同 |
[53:04] | But it almost seemed that the point was to be out of integrity. | 但现在看来 当时他只想要背弃诚信 |
[53:10] | When a court-ordered DNA test proved Jobs’s paternity, | 当法院认证的基因测试 证明乔布斯是孩子的父亲 |
[53:14] | he stopped fighting Chrisann in court. | 他停止对克里斯安的诉讼 |
[53:17] | She was on welfare at the time, | 她当时需要孩子的奶粉钱 |
[53:19] | so Jobs reluctantly agreed to pay $500 a month in child support. | 所以乔布斯很不情愿的同意 每个月付给孩子500元 |
[53:26] | When Apple went public, he was worth nearly $200 million. | 苹果上市之后 他身价高达两亿美元 |
[53:30] | Steve is so hugely successful, | 史蒂夫变得非常成功 |
[53:33] | and yet he treated so many people so badly. | 然而他却待人不佳 |
[53:37] | How much of an asshole do you have to be to be successful? | 到底要多么讨人厌 才可以这么成功呢 |
[53:42] | What is the moral of the story here? | 这故事简直没有道德底线 |
[53:44] | Hello. I am Macintosh. | 你好 我是麦金塔 |
[53:46] | It is with considerable pride that I introduce a man | 我非常骄傲的 向大家介绍这个人 |
[53:50] | who’s been like a father to me. Steve Jobs. | 他对我来说就像父亲一样 史蒂夫乔布斯 |
[54:14] | He didn’t know what real connection was. | 他不知道 真实的沟通是什么 |
[54:19] | So he was a part of the technology that connected the world. | 所以他比较像是 和世界接轨的科技面 |
[54:25] | Does that make sense? | 这样听起来合理吗 |
[54:29] | He made up another kind of connection. | 他建立了另一种连结 |
[54:39] | You know, I didn’t sleep a wink last night. | 你知道 我昨晚彻夜未眠 |
[54:41] | There’s a version of Steve Jobs presenting the iPhone | 这是史蒂夫乔布斯 介绍苹果手机的影片 |
[54:47] | where you can see his own feeling of “I love this object.” | 在这里可以感受到他的感受”我超爱这产品” |
[54:53] | Isn’t this awesome? | 是不是很棒呢 |
[54:54] | His stuff was beloved, but it wasn’t that he was beloved. | 他的产品大受欢迎 但不代表他也大受欢迎 |
[55:01] | He wasn’t a nice guy. | 他并不是个好相处的人 |
[55:03] | First, he had a reputation as a womanizer, | 第一 他有花花公子的称号 |
[55:06] | and then he had a reputation | 而且还有人说他 |
[55:08] | as sort of not caring about anybody and as being kind of a tough guy. | 不懂得关心他人 是一个很难相处的人 |
[55:14] | People are not connected to him because of his character. | 因为个性使然 人们很难和他建立连结 |
[55:19] | That is not people’s connection to him. | 这并不是人们和他的连结 |
[55:22] | In Be Here Now by Ram Dass, | 在莱姆达斯的”活在当下”一书中 |
[55:26] | one of the memories I still have after all these years | 这么多年来 我仍然记得一件事情 |
[55:30] | was when someone goes into a state of enlightenment… | 就是有人到了充满启蒙的地方 |
[55:36] | …but they do it while they’re still attached to their ego… | 但他们仍然放不下他们的自尊 |
[55:41] | They call that, as I recall him saying it, “the golden chain.” | 他们称之为…我想起他说的 他们说这是”金链” |
[55:49] | And that’s what I feel happened to Steve. | 这就是我在 乔布斯身上看到的 |
[55:53] | He went into magnificence and into enlightenment, but he… | 他来到了雄伟的地方 走进启蒙之地 但他… |
[56:01] | He just… | 他就这样… |
[56:04] | He blew it. | 他搞砸了 |
[56:08] | Steve Jobs blew it? | 史蒂夫乔布斯搞砸了 |
[56:11] | How many people in the world believe that? | 全世界有多少人 会相信这件事 |
[56:14] | He made products everyone loved. | 他创造出了人人爱的产品 |
[56:18] | He was the computer era’s most successful entrepreneur. | 他是电脑时代 最成功的企业家 |
[56:22] | How could anyone think he blew it? | 要怎么相信他搞砸一件事情 |
[56:27] | The entrepreneur’s a person who wants to shake things up, | 企业家是那种 想要动摇事情的人 |
[56:30] | who wants to change things, who sees a better way of doing that. | 想要有所改变 看得见更好的办法的人 |
[56:34] | But he or she tends to be a royal pain in the neck. | 但那个人却更倾向于 让大家讨厌他 |
[56:37] | Apple computer has sued its co-founder | 苹果电脑控告了联合创办人 |
[56:39] | and former chairman, | 以及前任总栽 史蒂夫乔布斯 |
[56:40] | Steven Jobs, to stop him from starting a rival company. | 欲阻止他开设另一间新竞争公司 |
[56:43] | Jobs quit Apple last week in a bitter fight with his board and management. | 乔布斯在上周和委员会 苦战后辞去他的工作 |
[56:48] | So, Apple is reorganizing. | 所以 苹果面临制度改编 |
[56:49] | John Sculley is taking control from Steven Jobs. | 约翰斯卡利从 史蒂夫乔布斯手中夺得掌控权 |
[56:53] | Tell us about your departure from Apple. | 跟我们聊聊 你从苹果离开的事情 |
[56:56] | Oh, it was very painful. I’m not even sure I want to talk about it. Um… | 十分痛苦 我不确定我想聊 |
[57:04] | What can I say? I hired the wrong guy. | 我能说什么 我聘请了一个错的人 |
[57:06] | -That was Sculley? -Yeah. | -你在说斯卡利吗 -没错 |
[57:09] | And… he destroyed everything I’d spent ten years working for. | 他就这样毁了一切 我花了十年苦心建造的一切 |
[57:30] | What did you do after you left Apple in 1985? | 你1985年离开苹果后 做了些什么 |
[57:35] | I started two companies. | 我成立了两家公司 |
[57:39] | One was started | 一间的起源… |
[57:41] | by buying the computer-graphics division of Lucasfilm. | 是从卢卡斯影业手上 买下电脑动画部门 |
[57:46] | We christened it Pixar. | 我们取名为”皮克斯” |
[57:49] | Pixar was acquired by Disney. | 皮克斯后来被迪士尼买下 |
[57:53] | I’m on the board of directors of the Walt Disney Company. | 我是迪士尼公司的 董事会成员之一 |
[57:57] | And the other was called NeXT. | 另一间公司叫做”NeXT” |
[58:02] | From having left or been bounced from Apple, | 自从离开 或者说被踢出苹果后 |
[58:06] | did he have a kind of a chip on his shoulder? | 他变得好斗吗 |
[58:10] | Was there some… Was this Steve in the wilderness? | 史蒂夫有变得更疯狂吗 |
[58:13] | I don’t think he felt he was in the wilderness at all. | 我不认为他觉得自己陷入疯狂 |
[58:15] | I think he felt he was on a path. He was on a mission. | 我认为他感到自己正在正轨上 他有任务要做 |
[58:19] | Where are we going to? | 我们要去哪里 |
[58:21] | In 1986, after he had left Apple | 1986年 他离开苹果之后 |
[58:24] | and was in the process of starting this new company, | 正忙于开展他的新公司 |
[58:27] | “Esquire” convinced him to give a journalist a week of his time. | 君子杂志说服他 进行每周访谈 |
[58:30] | So, I basically spent that week with him, | 所以基本上 我每个礼拜都会跟他见面 |
[58:33] | talked to him a lot, went to dinner, sat in on meetings, | 跟他大聊特聊 一起吃晚餐 在会议中见面 |
[58:36] | and got to see Jobs as he was at that moment in his life. | 可以看到乔布斯 十分融入人生的这个时期 |
[58:41] | But, I mean, I agree that… Let me back up a bit. | 我是说…我同意…让我们往回看一点 |
[58:44] | So, somebody’s got to say, | 因此 有人会说 |
[58:46] | “Here’s what we can do, and we can make it happen, | “这是我们能做的 我们能让它成真” |
[58:49] | and here’s the level of thing we can ship in 16 months.” | “这就是我们16个月内 能交出来的成果” |
[58:53] | And what I hear him saying is, | 我只听到这个人说 |
[58:55] | “Well, anything more than a port | “任何超过一个苹果工程师 |
[58:57] | of Mac author, forget it.” | 能力所及的事情 就算了吧” |
[58:58] | And boy, that just makes me smoke. | 这种话让我超不爽 |
[59:00] | If he was in a meeting and somebody said, | 如果他在开会时 有人说”我有一个点子” |
[59:04] | “Here’s a great idea,” and put the idea out there and he didn’t like it, | 讲出来之后 如果他不喜欢 |
[59:07] | he’d just chop the person into mincemeat. | 他会把这个人鞭得体无完肤 |
[59:09] | The problem I’ve got, though, is one, | 但我想提出问题 第一 |
[59:12] | will everybody believe that the stake is in fact in the ground, | 有人会相信 他真的迈出第一步了吗 |
[59:15] | and, secondly, when software comes back | 然后第二 当软件又开始流行 |
[59:16] | and says what they can do by summer or spring of ’87, | 然后表明在87年夏天或春天前 它们能够做到哪些 |
[59:19] | will they be telling us the truth? | 它们说的是实话吗 |
[59:20] | Well, George, I can’t change the world, you know. | 这个嘛 乔治 我无法改变世界 你知道的 |
[59:22] | What do you want me to do? What’s the solution? | 你要我怎么做 解决办法又是什么 |
[59:25] | But you see, what we can learn is… | 但你知道 我们能学到… |
[59:27] | What I want is probably irrelevant. | 我想要的可能跟这无关 |
[59:29] | I mean, there are certain realities here, | 我是说 我们有现实要面对 |
[59:31] | both psychological and market, | 不论是心理层面还是市场方面 |
[59:35] | that are going to come into play, in my own personal judgment. | 就我个人的判断 它正要开始发挥作用 |
[59:39] | And I think this is a window that we’ve got. We’ve been given it. | 这是我们另外开启的窗口 我们被赋予的 |
[59:42] | And thank God we’ve been given it. Nobody else has done this. | 感谢老天开启这扇窗 除了我们没人办得到 |
[59:44] | It’s a wonderful window. We have 18 months. | 这扇完美的窗户 我们共有十八个月 |
[59:48] | The article was about people who are maniacal about work. | 这篇文章是在描述 对工作着魔的人 |
[59:52] | And Steve Jobs was the most maniacal person I could think of, | 而史蒂夫乔布斯是我想得到 最疯狂的人 |
[59:55] | which is why I wanted to write about him. | 这也是为何 我想写他的故事 |
[59:57] | You made the connection in that first piece a bunch of times, | 你在一开始就提过很多次 |
[1:00:00] | you know, the monk among priests. | 你知道 教士中的僧侣 |
[1:00:02] | What was the relationship between that extreme | 你停不下来的极端工作态度 |
[1:00:05] | of working 24/7 and that monastic life? | 及僧侣生活间的关系是什么 |
[1:00:08] | I mean, he did seem to have that rather interesting dedication. | 我是说 他看起来将它 看做某种有趣的奉献 |
[1:00:12] | OK, so, a monomaniacal commitment to something | 好 你发下豪愿 要做出某种东西 |
[1:00:17] | is something that most people don’t have. | 那东西是现在 大部份人都没有的 |
[1:00:20] | And that, like the monk, requires you to kind of shed extraneous things, | 然后僧侣要求你 摆脱那些外来的事物 |
[1:00:28] | and Steve Jobs absolutely, positively had that. | 而史蒂夫乔布斯 肯定有一堆想要摆脱 |
[1:00:46] | Jobs talked about becoming a monk | 他谈论过僧侣生活 |
[1:00:49] | at this remote Zen temple where Kobun Chino had studied. | 就在一个遥远的禅修中心 就是乙川弘文在的地方 |
[1:00:59] | I wonder what he liked about the idea of it. | 我在想他为什么 会喜欢这主意 |
[1:01:05] | Was it the discipline of the monks? Their unwavering focus? | 是因为僧侣的守则吗 它们恪守的重点 |
[1:01:28] | In meditation, Jobs loved inspecting his own mind | 打坐冥想的时候 乔布斯很喜欢检视内心 |
[1:01:31] | and changing the way it worked. | 然后改变他思考的方式 |
[1:01:33] | He focused on the spirit of things | 他专注在事物的精神层面 |
[1:01:36] | and sought perfection in the machines he made. | 并且寻找着产品的完美性 |
[1:01:40] | But Kobun thought Jobs was missing the point. | 但是乙川认为 乔布斯搞错重点 |
[1:01:44] | A search for perfection would never bring him peace | 对于完美的渴求 并不会让内心平静 |
[1:01:48] | or harmony with those around him. | 或是让身边的纷扰变得和谐 |
[1:01:52] | But maybe harmony is what Jobs was looking for in Japan. | 不过也许和谐感是乔布斯 想要在日本找到的东西 |
[1:01:58] | He went there dozens of times, and not just for business. | 他去了那里好几次 并不只是为了出差 |
[1:02:03] | He stayed in fancy hotels, not Zen temples, | 他会住在豪华饭店 而不是禅修中心 |
[1:02:06] | but right to the end, he kept going back. | 但是到最后 他会一直回来 |
[1:02:15] | After he met and later married Laurene Powell, | 他和劳伦鲍威尔相识并结婚后 |
[1:02:18] | he would take three of his four children there, including Lisa. | 他会带着四个孩子中的三个 去日本 包含丽莎 |
[1:02:26] | Jobs’s relationship with Lisa remained full of conflict, | 乔布斯和丽莎的关系 充满了冲突 |
[1:02:29] | but a few years before Jobs’s death, Lisa wrote about a moment of peace. | 但乔布斯在过世前 丽莎记录了一些亲子时光 |
[1:02:36] | I didn’t live with him, but he would stop by our house some days, | 我并没有跟他同住 但他有时候会来我们家 |
[1:02:40] | a deity among us for a few tingly moments or hours. | 不舒服的时刻 来这里求神慰藉 |
[1:02:46] | He was a more extreme vegetarian than my mother and I | 他比我和我母亲 更像个极端素食者 |
[1:02:49] | and sharp-focused. | 而且十分执着 |
[1:02:51] | One day, he spit out a mouthful of soup after hearing it contained butter. | 有天 他听到汤里有加奶油 就一口吐了出来 |
[1:02:55] | With him, one ate a variety of salads. | 和他在一起就只能吃沙拉 |
[1:03:01] | He believed that great harvests came from arid sources. | 他相信干旱才能导致丰收 |
[1:03:05] | Pleasure from restraint. | 束缚才能带来愉悦 |
[1:03:07] | He knew the equations that most people didn’t know. | 他知道大部份人 都不晓得的方程式 |
[1:03:11] | Things led to their opposites. | 很多事情都是一体两面的 |
[1:03:16] | But once, he took me with him on a business trip to Tokyo | 有一次他带着我到东京出差 |
[1:03:19] | where we went to a sushi bar in the basement of the Okura hotel | 我们来到一家寿司店 在大仓饭店的地下室 |
[1:03:24] | with its high ceilings and low couches, like a Hitchcock set. | 那里有着高高的天花板 和低沙发 像希区考克电影 |
[1:03:28] | He ordered great trays of unagi sushi, cooked eel on rice. | 他点了鳗鱼寿司和黄鳝包饭 |
[1:03:33] | He ordered too many pieces, knowing we wouldn’t be able to finish them, | 他点太多份了 我们根本吃不完 |
[1:03:37] | but that we didn’t want to feel they would run out. | 但我们不想要 浪费这些美食 |
[1:03:41] | It was the first time I’d felt, with him, | 这是和他在一起 我第一次感觉到 |
[1:03:44] | so relaxed and content over those trays of meat. | 可以如此放松自在地用餐 |
[1:03:48] | The excess, the permission and warmth | 眼前这些过度丰盛又热腾腾的美食 |
[1:03:51] | after the cold salads | 与先前只吃冷沙拉相对比 |
[1:03:53] | meant a once inaccessible space had opened. | 就像是一处曾经到不了的地方 已经敞开了大门 |
[1:03:58] | He was less rigid with himself, | 他对自己不再那么严格 |
[1:04:01] | even human under the great ceilings with the little chairs, | 成就再大 他和我在一起时 也只是个平凡人 |
[1:04:05] | with the meat and me. | 一起坐在这里享用佳肴 |
[1:04:09] | But the event was not self-sustaining. We went back home to salads. | 但这种情况并没有持续下去 回家后我们继续吃沙拉 |
[1:04:14] | They satisfied me less now that I knew the alternative. | 当时我不太满意 但现在我知道了差别 |
[1:04:24] | -What eventually happened to NeXT? -Apple purchased it. | -NeXT发生什么事 -苹果将它买下了 |
[1:04:27] | -OK, when? -I believe 1997. | -好 什么时候 -我记得是1997年 |
[1:04:33] | When Apple bought NeXT, Apple was pretty messed up. | 苹果买下NeXT后 简直一团乱 |
[1:04:38] | It was pretty easy to see. | 显而易见 |
[1:04:39] | Apple Computer, a pioneer in the personal computers and software business, | 苹果电脑 个人电脑级及软件产业的先驱 |
[1:04:43] | has fallen on hard times. | 一蹶不振 |
[1:04:45] | Over a three-month period, | 经过三个月后 |
[1:04:46] | Apple’s profits plunged by more than $50 million. | 苹果的利润 暴跌超过五千万美元 |
[1:04:50] | With big losses in the last quarter, with profit margins shrinking, | 在最后一季的大惨败 在利润紧缩之下 |
[1:04:54] | Apple seems destined for a takeover. | 苹果面临了被并购的命运 |
[1:04:56] | Steve Jobs co-founded Apple with Steve Wozniak, | 史蒂夫乔布斯和 史蒂夫沃兹尼克一起创办苹果 |
[1:04:59] | and on Friday, Apple went to the well once again, | 礼拜五 苹果重新整顿 |
[1:05:02] | bringing Jobs back as a consultant, | 重新聘请乔布斯回来当顾问 |
[1:05:04] | writing one of the most unlikely chapters ever | 写下了历史上 最不可能的一篇章节 |
[1:05:06] | in the lore that is Silicon Valley. | 写下矽谷的传说 |
[1:05:08] | Steve. | 史蒂夫 |
[1:05:20] | I joined the company in February ’97. | 我在97年二月进入公司 |
[1:05:24] | After a couple of days there, I was in complete shock. | 几天之后我完全吓到了 |
[1:05:29] | The company was close to bankruptcy, and it was total chaos. | 公司几乎面临破产 一切都陷入混乱 |
[1:05:33] | The NeXT acquisition had just occurred, | NeXT的收购才发生不久 |
[1:05:36] | and there were major changes going on. | 内部就发生了巨变 |
[1:05:39] | And Steve was involved at that point in time, but on the margins. | 史蒂夫此时被找回来 但非核心位置 |
[1:05:43] | I haven’t been back here in over ten years, | 我已经十年没有回到这里 |
[1:05:46] | so, yeah, it’s an interesting feeling. | 所以 没错 很耐人寻味的感觉 |
[1:05:50] | It’s a little strange, but not too strange. | 有一点点奇怪 但也不是那么奇怪 |
[1:05:53] | At some point in time, | 当时有一度 |
[1:05:54] | the process was started to look for a full-time CEO. | 他们开始招募一名新的执行长 |
[1:05:58] | And at that point in time, Steve got much more involved. | 在那个时候 史蒂夫变得更加融入 |
[1:06:00] | Now, he still wasn’t the CEO. | 现在 他仍然不是执行长 |
[1:06:01] | I don’t think he was 100% sure the company was savable yet, | 我不觉得他有百分之百的把握 能够救回这间公司 |
[1:06:05] | and so I think he was hedging his bets a little bit. | 我也觉得他当时 拿着筹码在观望 |
[1:06:08] | He had to make a decision whether he really wanted to take on that role | 他必须做出决定 是否要接下这份重担 |
[1:06:12] | because being CEO of Apple is an all-consuming role, | 因为成为苹果的执行长 是一份劳心费神的工作 |
[1:06:16] | and I’m not sure Steve thought that that’s something | 我不太确定史蒂夫 认为这是件… |
[1:06:19] | that he wanted to do for what turned out to be the rest of his life. | 他余生都想要做的事情 |
[1:06:23] | I took the title of Interim CEO and agreed to come back for 90 days | 我接下了暂时执行长的职务 并答应在90天内回来 |
[1:06:29] | to help recruit a full-time CEO. | 帮助招募新的执行长 |
[1:06:35] | How did that recruitment effort go? I failed. | -招募工作执行得如何 -我失败了 |
[1:06:45] | You know, the real hero of that early part of the story is Fred Anderson. | 这故事早期的真英雄是 弗莱德安德森 |
[1:06:50] | Fred restructured the company financially | 弗莱德在经济层面 重建了这间公司 |
[1:06:53] | and bought us the time to build the foundation for today’s Apple. | 并为我们争取了时间 打造了今日的苹果 |
[1:06:56] | And then Fred even had an impact on the product strategy | 而且弗莱德甚至也对 产品策略产生影响 |
[1:07:00] | because when Steve came back, | 因为当史蒂夫回来的时候 |
[1:07:02] | the first major project we started was a network computer. | 我们开始着手的新专案 是网路电脑 |
[1:07:06] | That was kind of the rage at the time, but it wasn’t a consumer product at all. | 在当时风靡一时 但它完全不是一台消费产品 |
[1:07:09] | Fred kept going, “You know, wait a minute, | 弗莱德说”等一下 你知道的” |
[1:07:11] | we got to have a consumer product.” | “我们一定要有消费性产品” |
[1:07:13] | “You guys have to focus on a low-end Mac | “你们要专注在 发表低阶电脑” |
[1:07:15] | because that’s what’s going to turn the company around.” | “因为这会让公司起死回生” |
[1:07:18] | So, the executive team and Steve decided that we would switch | 所以 执行团队和史蒂夫 决定了要做出改变 |
[1:07:21] | from doing the network computer and make that the iMac. | 从做网路电脑改成做桌上型电脑 |
[1:07:26] | There you go, right here. Can you see it? | 就在这里 这边 你有看到吗 |
[1:07:34] | In the world of computers, it’s kill or be killed. | 在电脑的世界里 只有打败别人或被打败 |
[1:07:37] | And the original whiz kid was thought to be dying an early death. | 一般人都认为英才往往早逝 |
[1:07:40] | We went for colors that really expressed the spirit of the machine. | 我们采用了最能代表 机械精神的颜色 |
[1:07:44] | And that is… you know, it’s powerful, but fun. | 这非常的…强大 但好玩 |
[1:07:49] | And the first thing I thought I’d do is give you an update. | 我有任何想法 就会马上告诉你 |
[1:07:52] | We’ve managed to go from losing a billion dollars the year before | 那年我们设法要 停止数亿元的亏损 |
[1:07:56] | to actually making over $200 million during the first three quarters. | 而实际上在前三季 我们就赚回了两亿 |
[1:08:01] | Boy, what a difference a year makes. | 天啊 看看这一年改变了多少 |
[1:08:03] | Guess what? Mac is back. | 你猜怎么着 苹果回来了 |
[1:08:16] | He was the kind of person that could convince himself of things | 他是那种连自己都可以说服 |
[1:08:20] | that weren’t necessarily true. | 去相信非事实的人 |
[1:08:22] | He could go to people and ask them to do something | 他会向人们求助 请他们做事 |
[1:08:26] | that they thought was impossible. | 并让他们觉得 这件事非常重要 |
[1:08:29] | Steve did create reality distortion around him. | 史蒂夫可以扭曲他身边的事实 |
[1:08:32] | You know, if he told you the sky was green, for a while, | 你知道 如果他告诉你 天空是绿的 过一阵子 |
[1:08:35] | you’d kind of go, “Yeah, OK. Yeah, the sky’s green.” | 你也会开始想”好吧 好像真的是绿的” |
[1:08:39] | To me… marketing is about values. | 对我而言行销与价值有关 |
[1:08:45] | This is a very complicated world. It’s a very noisy world. | 这是一个很复杂的世界 一个很喧哗的世界 |
[1:08:50] | And we’re not going to get a chance | 我们没有多少机会 |
[1:08:53] | to get people to remember much about us. No company is. | 让人们记住我们 没有公司做得到这点 |
[1:09:00] | And so, we have to be really clear | 所以我们必须非常明确 |
[1:09:02] | on what we want them to know about us. | 关于我们想要 他们得到什么样的讯息 |
[1:09:05] | Our customers want to know who is Apple | 我们的客户想知道 苹果代表着谁 |
[1:09:07] | and what is it that we stand for. | 和代表着什么意义 |
[1:09:09] | What we have is something that I am… | 我们所拥有的是 我觉得… |
[1:09:15] | …I am very moved by. | 让我深受感动的东西 |
[1:09:21] | Here’s to the crazy ones. | 献给所有疯狂的人们 |
[1:09:22] | Jobs was so moved by the ad he’d commissioned | 乔布斯对他委任制作的广告 感到感动不已 |
[1:09:25] | that he produced a version where he did the voiceover himself. | 他制作了一个版本 由他自己重新配音 |
[1:09:29] | The round pegs in the square holes. | 圆形的钉子在方洞里 |
[1:09:32] | The ones who see things differently. | 视野与众不同的人 |
[1:09:36] | They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. | 他们不喜欢规则 也不愿安于现状 |
[1:09:41] | You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. | 你可以引用他们的话或不同意 赞扬他们或是诋毁 |
[1:09:47] | About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them | 你唯一无法做的 就是漠视他们 |
[1:09:51] | because they change things. | 因为他们能做出改变 |
[1:09:53] | While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. | 他们可能是别人眼里的疯子 我们则视其为天才 |
[1:10:00] | Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world… | 因为那些疯狂到 以为自己能改变世界的人 |
[1:10:05] | …are the ones who do. | 才能真正的改变世界 |
[1:10:11] | It honors those people who have changed the world. | 为了向那些改变世界的人致敬 |
[1:10:16] | Some of them are living, some of them are not. | 有些已逝 有些仍然活着 |
[1:10:21] | But the ones that aren’t, you know that if they ever used a computer, | 对于那些己经过世的人 如果他们有机会使用电脑 |
[1:10:27] | it would have been a Mac. | 他们一定会用苹果电脑 |
[1:10:32] | The theme of the campaign is “Think different.” | 这次宣传的主题是”不同凡想” |
[1:10:37] | Think different. | 不同凡想 |
[1:10:39] | In one brilliant, ungrammatical phrase, | 这些精彩又不合文法的语句 |
[1:10:41] | Jobs told a story of rebellion, the triumph of the iconoclastic genius. | 乔布斯说了一个叛逆的故事 破除以往天才的胜利模式 |
[1:10:47] | With “Think different,” was Jobs trying to frame his own story? | 藉由”不同凡想” 乔布斯想要说出他自己的故事 |
[1:10:51] | More than a CEO, he positioned himself as an oracle, | 不仅仅是执行长 他将自己定位在一个象征 |
[1:10:55] | a man who could tell the future of technology. | 一个可以说出科技未来的象征 |
[1:11:09] | You know, a lot of times, | 你知道 大部份时候 |
[1:11:10] | great products are sort of convergence of the right set of technologies. | 好的产品就是 科技正确的组合在一起 |
[1:11:16] | And Steve was brilliant at getting to a fork in the road | 乔布斯很擅长 在交叉路口做出选择 |
[1:11:19] | and choosing the right fork. | 他总是选择到对的那边 |
[1:11:22] | We got a chance to play with a variety of music players, | 我们曾经有机会能够 玩玩音乐播放器的多元性 |
[1:11:26] | and they sucked. | 但它们烂透了 |
[1:11:28] | So, we decided, Steve said, you know, “Go build a music player.” | 所以我们决定 史蒂夫说”我们自己做一台” |
[1:11:32] | So, I assembled a small team to take a look at what it would take to do it, | 我聚集了一个小团队 研究看看需要做些什么 |
[1:11:37] | and the conclusion was the technology really wasn’t ready yet. | 结论就是科技技术 尚未到那一步 |
[1:11:40] | Then in February of 2001, | 到了2001年二月 |
[1:11:44] | the Toshiba guys brought out the 1.8-inch hard drive. | 东芝的一点八寸硬件问世 |
[1:11:47] | So, as soon as I saw that I go, | 我一看到这个我就说 |
[1:11:49] | “That’s what we need to build the iPod.” | 这就是我们需要用来 做音乐播放器的东西 |
[1:11:51] | So, I went to Steve, and I go, “OK, I know how to do it now.” | 我接着去找史蒂夫说”好 我现在知道怎么做了” |
[1:11:55] | “I need $10 million.” | “我需要一千万美金” |
[1:11:56] | And Steve goes, “OK, I’ll write you a $10 million check.” | 史蒂夫说”好 我写一张 一千万支票给你” |
[1:12:00] | I went to Fred to make sure the check wouldn’t bounce, | 我接着去找弗莱德 确保支票不会跳票 |
[1:12:03] | and Fred said, “Yeah, you know, go.” | 弗莱德说”没错 你知道怎么做 去吧” |
[1:12:06] | And so I started ramping the team up, | 然后我就开始组织团队 |
[1:12:08] | and, you know, we delivered the iPod later that year. | 然后你就知道了 一年后我们的播放器问世 |
[1:12:46] | Jobs’s genius was how he sold the iPod. | 乔布斯的天才在于 他如何卖出这播放器 |
[1:12:50] | It wasn’t a machine for you. It was you. | 这机器并非为你而做 它就是你本人 |
[1:12:56] | People sometimes forget that they’re very unique | 有时候人们会忘记 他们是非常独特的 |
[1:12:59] | and that they have very unique feelings and perspectives. | 他们有非常独特的 感受与观点 |
[1:13:03] | You know, the whole computer industry | 你知道 整个电脑产业 |
[1:13:04] | wants to forget about the humanist side and just focus on the technology, | 几乎都忘了人性的那面 只埋首于科技 |
[1:13:09] | but we think there’s a whole other side to the coin, | 我们想的是硬币的另一面 |
[1:13:12] | which is what do you do with these things? | 就是你应该要怎么做 |
[1:13:14] | Can we do more than just spreadsheets and word processors? | 我们能做得比制表软件 和文字处理器更多吗 |
[1:13:18] | Can we help you express yourself in richer ways? | 我们能用更丰富的方式 帮助你表达想法吗 |
[1:13:24] | Apple at the core, its core value, | 苹果的核心价值 |
[1:13:29] | is that we believe that people with passion | 就是我们相信 怀抱着热情的人 |
[1:13:33] | can change the world for the better. | 能将世界变得更好 |
[1:13:35] | That’s what we believe. | 我们这么相信着 |
[1:13:39] | Steve talks a lot about the values of the company. | 史蒂夫说了很多 这间公司的价值 |
[1:13:42] | And said that Apple was a company | 并说苹果是一间公司 |
[1:13:44] | that was designed to make the world a better place. | 一间设计来让世界 变得更美好的公司 |
[1:13:47] | Was that a heartfelt thing for Steve? | 史蒂夫这番话是真心的吗 |
[1:13:50] | I believe it was a heartfelt thing for Steve. | 我相信他是发自肺腑 |
[1:13:52] | I think that he did want to make the world a better place. | 我认为他的确 想让世界变得更美好 |
[1:13:55] | I think that he felt by delivering great products | 我想他认为透过 创造出美好的产品 |
[1:14:00] | that were easy to use and beautiful, | 易于使用又具有美学的产品 |
[1:14:03] | that it would make people’s lives better. | 能让人类的生活更美好 |
[1:14:09] | Is that enough? | 这样够了吗 |
[1:14:11] | Is making and selling products, even if they’re good, | 重点在于制造和销售 就算产品本身很棒 |
[1:14:15] | even if they’re the best, enough to make the world a better place? | 就算他们是最好的 就足以让世界变更好吗 |
[1:14:20] | Apple’s a business. | 苹果就是一门生意 |
[1:14:22] | And we’ve somehow attached this emotion to a business, | 而不知为何对这门生意 产生这个想法 |
[1:14:25] | which is just there to make money for its shareholders, right? | 就是只要替股东赚钱就好 不是吗 |
[1:14:29] | That’s all it is. Nothing more. | 就是这样 没有别的 |
[1:14:31] | You know, creating that association | 你知道 建立这样的联盟 |
[1:14:33] | was probably one of Steve’s greatest accomplishments. | 应该是乔布斯 做过最伟大的成就之一了 |
[1:14:36] | -It’s queued up to play. -Awesome. | -这里大排长龙 -太好了 |
[1:14:41] | I remember at this point, when the music plays in the beginning, | 我记得在那时候 音乐播放器刚起步时 |
[1:14:45] | there’s just this energy, right? | 那时候只有这个动力 对吧 |
[1:14:47] | You have on the one side this huge bank of photographers, | 你必须站在 一大群摄影师的另一边 |
[1:14:52] | and I remember looking at all these guys | 我还记得 我看着这些家伙 |
[1:14:56] | with their cameras trained on Steve, thinking, | 把摄影机都对准史蒂夫 我想着 |
[1:14:59] | “You guys have no idea what’s about to happen.” | 你们根本都不知道 会发生什么事 |
[1:15:02] | And to be fair, neither did we. | 而为了公平起见 我们也都不知道 |
[1:15:07] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢你们今天的到来 |
[1:15:09] | We’re going to make some history together today. | 我们今天要一起创造历史 |
[1:15:13] | Any time you see an Apple event, | 每一次你看着苹果的活动 |
[1:15:14] | know that there’s a team of people in the audience who are just sick. | 要知道观众之中有一群人 简直着迷到夸张 |
[1:15:22] | We are calling it “iPhone.” | 我们叫它”iPhone” |
[1:15:28] | Today… Today, Apple is going to reinvent the phone. | 今日 苹果要改造手机 |
[1:15:34] | And so, rather than talk about this some more, let me show it to you. | 与其在这里讲个不停 不如让我直接展示 |
[1:15:38] | So, if you’re giving a demo, and you deviate off the script, | 假设你今天在做简报 你不小心偏离了原定计划 |
[1:15:43] | well, lots of bad things can go wrong. | 本来就有很多事情会出错 |
[1:15:44] | When Steve comes up with, “Here’s what I want to show,” | 当史蒂夫一说”这是我今天要展示的” |
[1:15:48] | everything is dissected. | 一切都开始被拆解 |
[1:15:50] | The message that he’s trying to say | 他想传达的所有讯息 |
[1:15:51] | is then dissected into very specific actions. | 都在他的一举一动中 明确地传递出来 |
[1:15:53] | And let me go ahead and get that picture within picture up. | 让我来操作荧幕上的画面 |
[1:15:57] | I’m going to go ahead and just push the “sleep wake” button. | 我先来按下”唤醒”这个按键 |
[1:16:01] | There we go, right there. | 好了 就在这里 |
[1:16:03] | And to unlock the phone, I just take my finger and slide it across. | 要解锁手机 我只要用我的手指滑开 |
[1:16:06] | All right, you want to see that again? | 好了 你们想再看一次吗 |
[1:16:10] | So, he’s got, you know, several discrete parts of the demo. | 所以 他就是将简报 分成好几个部分 |
[1:16:14] | We had a flask of Scotch with us, and after every little part, | 我们旁边会放一瓶威士忌 每一个部分被简报过后 |
[1:16:20] | the person who was responsible for that portion, you know, took a hit. | 该部分的负责人就会 你知道 喝一口 |
[1:16:24] | I want to make a call to Jony Ive. | 我想要打电话给乔尼艾芙 |
[1:16:26] | I can just push here, | 我只要按这里 |
[1:16:28] | and I see Jony Ive’s contacts with all his information. | 我就能看到乔尼的资料 显示着所有的联络资讯 |
[1:16:30] | The Jony Ive call, oh, my God. | 乔尼艾芙通话中 我的老天爷啊 |
[1:16:33] | There’s all sorts of ways that this could have gone sideways. | 总是有各种方式 导致简报偏离轨道 |
[1:16:36] | -Hey, Jony, how you doing? -I’m good. How you doing? | -乔尼 你好吗 -我很好 你好吗 |
[1:16:40] | Well, it’s been two-and-a-half years, and I can’t tell you how thrilled I am | 己经过了两年半了 我无法向你表达能用iPhone |
[1:16:44] | to make the first public phone call with iPhone. | 打一通公开的电话 我有多激动 |
[1:16:50] | He goes to the music. | 他开始讲解音乐功能 |
[1:16:52] | Let’s go into Dylan here. | 现在可以看到狄伦 |
[1:16:54] | Let’s play Like a Rolling Stone. | 让我们来播放”像块滚石” |
[1:16:58] | He gets the web browser up there. | 他打开了网页浏览器 |
[1:17:00] | I want to show you Safari | 我展示给你看”Safari” |
[1:17:02] | running on a mobile device. | 在行动装置上运行的样子 |
[1:17:04] | So, let’s go to the web. Boom. Unbelievable. | 让我们连上网路 来了 难以置信 |
[1:17:08] | And then at the end, he has that moment | 然后来到尾声 就是这一刻 |
[1:17:11] | where he swizzles it all together. | 他将一切都调配在一起 |
[1:17:13] | At the end, where he orders thousands of lattes from some, you know, | 最后他点了上千杯拿铁 你知道的 |
[1:17:17] | poor woman at a Starbucks down the road. | 向星巴克的可怜女店员点的 |
[1:17:19] | Good morning. This is Starbucks and how can I help you? | 早安 这里是星巴克 需要什么服务 |
[1:17:22] | Yes, I’d liked to order 4,000 lattes to go, please. | 你好 我想要预订 四千杯拿铁外带 |
[1:17:24] | No, just kidding. Wrong number. Thank you. Bye-bye. | 才怪 开玩笑的 打错电话了 谢谢 再见 |
[1:17:29] | OK. | 好吧 |
[1:17:38] | As soon as the demo was over, we left. | 简报结束后 我们就离开了 |
[1:17:41] | And we just turned San Francisco into a… It was a shit show. | 然后我们在旧金山度过了 超级糟糕的一晚 |
[1:17:53] | That was a night to remember. | 那是忘不掉的一晚 |
[1:17:56] | Man, you just had this release of years of anxiety. | 大哥 你刚刚释放了 这一年来的压力 |
[1:18:00] | And then we got up tomorrow, the next day, and did it all over again. | 接着我们隔天起床 就在隔一天 又重头再玩一次 |
[1:18:03] | And we had to finish the product at this point. | 但我们当时必须善后 |
[1:18:05] | And that was tough, especially with a raging hangover, | 实在不容易 特别是在严重宿醉下 |
[1:18:08] | but it was a lot of fun. | 但真的很好玩 |
[1:18:10] | The biggest thing he made was the iPhone, definitely. | 他做过最棒的事情 绝对就是苹果手机 |
[1:18:14] | He made the iPhone, | 他创造了苹果手机 |
[1:18:16] | which shocked the world with its touch screen and stuff. | 触控式荧幕和其它的 震惊了全世界 |
[1:18:24] | So, what are we down to? 13 minutes and… Whoo-hoo! | 我们还剩多少时间 十三分钟 |
[1:18:30] | -It’s go time! -Oh, yeah. | -可以进去了 -太棒了 |
[1:18:42] | -Oh, yeah. Swipe to unlock. -Sweet! | -没错 滑动解锁 -赞 |
[1:18:56] | There she is. | 它来了 |
[1:19:00] | iPhone’s been shipping for exactly 200 days today. | “iPhone”已经发表两百天了 |
[1:19:03] | And I’m extraordinarily pleased to report | 我在此十分高兴的告诉大家 |
[1:19:07] | that we have sold four million iPhones to date. | 至今已卖出四百万台手机 |
[1:19:23] | Today we’re introducing the iPhone 3G. | 今天我们要介绍第三代苹果手机 |
[1:19:33] | In a little over two years, we have sold 30 million iPhones. | 在差不多过去两年 我们卖出了三千万台手机 |
[1:19:47] | And with a swipe, you have changed your life. | 卡一刷下去 你的人生就不一样了 |
[1:19:50] | Yes! | 没错 |
[1:20:04] | -How may I help you? -iPhone 4. Where is the iPhone 4? | -需要什么帮助吗 -第四代苹果手机在哪里 |
[1:20:08] | Oh, I’m very sorry, but we are currently sold out. | 我很抱歉 我们刚刚卖光 |
[1:20:12] | However, we did finally get some more HTC Evos in. | 不过宏达电的Evos终于进货了 |
[1:20:16] | What? What is that? Is it an iPhone? | 那是什么 那是苹果手机吗 |
[1:20:19] | No, it is that 4G phone on Sprint. | 不 但他也是4G手机 |
[1:20:22] | If it’s not an iPhone, why would I want it? | 如果他不是苹果手机 那我买它干嘛 |
[1:20:25] | Well, it’s similar to an iPhone, but has a bigger screen. | 这个嘛 它跟苹果很像 而且荧幕更大 |
[1:20:28] | I don’t care. | 我才不在乎 |
[1:20:29] | The internet speeds are around three times faster. | 网路速度快三倍 |
[1:20:32] | -I don’t care. -It fucking prints money. | -我不在乎 -它是印钞机 |
[1:20:35] | -I don’t care. -It can grant up to three wishes. | -我不在乎 -它可以给你三个愿望 |
[1:20:38] | Even if one of those wishes is for an iPhone. | 那你就可以许愿 说你想要苹果手机 |
[1:20:40] | -I don’t care about any of that. -OK, fine. | -我一点都不在乎 -好吧 |
[1:20:43] | Then what the hell entices you about the iPhone 4, | 如果你不介意我问一下 |
[1:20:46] | if you don’t mind me asking? | 是什么让你这么想买 苹果手机 |
[1:20:48] | It is an iPhone. | 因为它是苹果手机 |
[1:21:00] | I remember the first set of people I interviewed about the iPhone. | 我还记得我就苹果手机主题 访谈过的第一批人 |
[1:21:05] | I’ve been interviewing people about their computers | 我已经访问人们关于电脑 |
[1:21:08] | for, you know, decades. | 你知道 有十年了吧 |
[1:21:10] | I’ve never seen this kind of connection before with an object. | 我从没看过人与物件 有过这样的连结 |
[1:21:18] | In the beginning, the impulse was to sit you down | 一开始他们都会请你坐下 |
[1:21:22] | and to show you everything on their iPhone. | 向你展示他的苹果手机 里面有的一切 |
[1:21:25] | As time’s gone on, there’s been less of that | 随着时间过去 这现象越来越少 |
[1:21:29] | and more of what I call the “alone together phenomenon.” | 而出现越来越多我所谓的”在一起孤单”的现象 |
[1:21:37] | It has turned out to be an isolating technology. | 最后它变成了孤立人的科技 |
[1:21:53] | Did you ever see that Wim Wenders film, “Until the End of the World”? | 你有看过文温德斯的电影”直到世界末日”吗 |
[1:21:56] | Yes, I love that. People fall in love with their dreams, | 有 我很喜欢那部 里面的人与梦想 一起坠入爱河 |
[1:22:00] | and they walk around with hoods over their head | 他们带着帽纱走来走去 |
[1:22:04] | and screens in front of them, fascinated by their dreams. | 他们眼前的小荧幕 照亮了他们的梦想 |
[1:22:09] | By the time I came to rescue Claire, the only thing she cared about | 我营救克莱儿的时候 她唯一害怕的事情只有 |
[1:22:13] | was having fresh batteries for her video monitor. | 她影片播放器的电池不够用 |
[1:22:19] | It’s a little bit like that. | 所以这可以说是 |
[1:22:20] | It’s a dream machine, and you become fascinated | 这是梦想制造机 你为之神魂颠倒 |
[1:22:25] | by the world that you can find on these screens. | 你可以在这荧幕看见全世界 |
[1:22:30] | And the face of that technology was Steve Jobs. | 而这科技结晶的代表 就是史蒂夫乔布斯 |
[1:22:55] | What would you say about the responsibilities of power | 在你达到这些成就之后 |
[1:23:00] | once you’ve achieved a certain level of success? | 你怎么看待 随之而来的责任与权力 |
[1:23:03] | Power? What is that? | 权力 怎么说 |
[1:23:16] | He found a loophole where if you lease a car, | 他发现一个漏洞 如果你租了一辆车 |
[1:23:19] | you have a six-month grace period to put license plates on. | 就可以有六个月 不需要挂上车牌的宽限期 |
[1:23:22] | And so he leased the same car every six months, | 所以他每六个月就会 租一次一样的车 |
[1:23:28] | to avoid putting license plates at all. | 如此一来就不用挂车牌了 |
[1:23:31] | I think he told people | 我认为他告诉人们 |
[1:23:32] | that it’s because he didn’t want people to identify him. | 就是他并不想要 人们因此认出他来 |
[1:23:37] | Well, there’s nothing more identifiable | 不过 还有什么比没挂车牌的 |
[1:23:39] | than a silver Mercedes with no license plate. | 银色宾士还要更显眼呢 |
[1:23:42] | I mean, it screams “Steve Jobs” in the Valley. | 我的意思是在矽谷 这就代表着史蒂夫乔布斯 |
[1:23:44] | Riding to work with Steve Jobs. | 和史蒂夫乔布斯一起上班耶 |
[1:23:48] | Riding to work with the good ol’ Stevie. | 我和小史蒂夫一起开车 |
[1:23:53] | Oh, look at that, he’s in the carpool lane. | 看看他 他要开到停车道了 |
[1:23:57] | And it does give you a glimpse of how he thought he was above the law. | 这反而会让你看到他是如何 觉得自己凌驾法律之上 |
[1:24:15] | Jobs also made it a habit to park his plateless Mercedes Benz | 乔布斯还有一个习惯 他会把他的宾士 |
[1:24:19] | in handicap parking spots around the Apple campus. | 停在苹果大学的 无障碍停车格里 |
[1:24:23] | It even became something of a pastime in the Valley, | 有时甚至变成矽谷的小娱乐 |
[1:24:26] | to take a picture next to Steve’s car. | 在史蒂夫的车旁拍照 |
[1:24:41] | He was a hero in the Valley because he made buckets of money, | 他在矽谷是个英雄 因为他赚进大把钞票 |
[1:24:45] | but unlike Bill Gates, | 与比尔盖兹不同的是 |
[1:24:47] | Jobs told people that giving away money was a waste of time. | 乔布斯告诉人们 把钱捐出去只是浪费时间 |
[1:24:50] | Under Jobs, Apple terminated its philanthropic programs. | 在乔布斯的影响下 苹果终止了慈善计划 |
[1:24:57] | Jobs kept acting as if Apple was a start-up, | 乔布斯不停表现出 苹果就像是个起点 |
[1:25:00] | but by 2010, it was one of the most valuable companies in the world. | 到了2010年 它成为 全世界最有价值的公司之一 |
[1:25:05] | Among the rich and famous, Jobs was a compelling character. | 在这些名人富翁之间 乔布斯是一个叛逆的角色 |
[1:25:09] | A counter-culture businessman. But what were his values as a citizen? | 反主流文化的商人 但他作为市民表现又如何呢 |
[1:25:14] | Was he interested in power to change the world | 他是对改变世界的权力有兴趣 |
[1:25:17] | or the right to have power without responsibility? | 还是对于不用负责的权力 有兴趣呢 |
[1:25:24] | There was an experience where actually a couple of people | 是否曾经有人想要与你作对 |
[1:25:27] | were fighting over you, were they not? | 有过这样的经验吗 |
[1:25:29] | -Oh, man. I went to Palm. -Then a bunch of people went to Palm. | -说到这 我去了棕榈公司 -然后很多人都跳槽过去 |
[1:25:32] | Yeah. Yeah. | 没错 没错 |
[1:25:33] | -Was Steve pissed off? -Oh, man. Yeah. | -史蒂夫气疯了吧 -对啊 没错 |
[1:25:36] | I gave my resignation. It went up the chain, like you do. | 我递出了辞呈 人总要往高处爬 你也会吧 |
[1:25:40] | And just sure as hell, like 20 minutes later, | 然后大概过了二十分钟后 |
[1:25:45] | I get a call from Steve’s admin, “Steve wants to see you.” | 我接到史蒂夫秘书电话”史蒂夫想要见你” |
[1:25:49] | He sits down. He just kind of sits there, and he looks at me. | 他坐了下来 就这样坐着 然后他看着我 |
[1:25:53] | And I start to kind of launch into my little spiel that I had planned, | 接着我就开始谈论 我未来的计划 |
[1:25:56] | and he says, “You know you fucked up Bluetooth, right?” | 然后他说”你知道 你把蓝牙搞砸了对吧” |
[1:26:00] | I just stopped. I’m like… | 我停了下来 我简直… |
[1:26:03] | And then we go through this half-hour mind fuck. | 接着我们就开始 这半小时的洗脑过程 |
[1:26:06] | It becomes very “Godfather” -esque. | 变得很像电影”教父”的风格 |
[1:26:09] | You know, “You’re part of my family, and Apple’s my family, | 他说”你是大家庭的一份子””苹果就是我的家庭” |
[1:26:12] | and you don’t want to leave my family.” | “你不会想要离开家庭吧” |
[1:26:14] | And at the end, he says, “If you choose to leave my family, | 到了最后他说”如果你选择离开我的家庭” |
[1:26:18] | should you decide to take so much as one member of my family away from me, | “如果因此有任何一人 会跟着你离开” |
[1:26:23] | I will personally take you down.” | “我跟你没完没了” |
[1:26:26] | To keep his family together, | 为了让家庭团结 |
[1:26:28] | Jobs was willing to let Apple bend or even break the law. | 乔布斯会让苹果扭曲法律 甚至做出违法的事情 |
[1:26:33] | In 2011, a class-action lawsuit | 2011年 一场集体诉讼 |
[1:26:36] | filed by more than 64,000 Silicon Valley workers | 由64000名矽谷员工提出 |
[1:26:40] | revealed that Jobs, along with the CEOs of Google, Intel and Adobe | 揭露了乔布斯和谷歌 英特尔及奥多比的执行长 |
[1:26:44] | had colluded not to recruit each other’s employees. | 彼此勾结决定 不会招募彼此的员工 |
[1:26:48] | If you’re working there at Apple, or wherever you’re working, | 如果你在苹果上班 或是你在任何一处上班 |
[1:26:51] | you’ve got another company that you might move to | 你想要带着你的专业技能 |
[1:26:54] | and take your expertise with you and earn more money at that company. | 跳槽到另一间公司 可能还会有更好的待遇 |
[1:26:57] | They won’t accept your résumé. They won’t return your phone calls. | 但他们不会接受你的履历 他们连电话都不会回你 |
[1:27:00] | Right. Because they won’t let them poach each other. | 没错 因为他们 不挖彼此墙角 |
[1:27:03] | -Correct. -That’s not a legitimate situation. | -正确 -而这状况并不合法 |
[1:27:06] | You know what some of the strongest evidence was? | 你知道其中最有力的证据 是什么吗 |
[1:27:08] | E-mails of the late, great Steve Jobs. | 之前的电子邮件 伟大的乔布斯啊 |
[1:27:10] | -Really? -Tons of them, yes. | -真的吗 -有好多封呢 没错 |
[1:27:17] | Less than a month after Google co-founder Sergey Brin | 不到一个月 谷歌的创办人谢尔盖布林 |
[1:27:20] | received this threat from Jobs, | 就接受了乔布斯的威胁 |
[1:27:22] | Google circulated a “do not cold call” list that included Apple. | 谷歌流传了份”不准电访”的名单 其中包含苹果 |
[1:27:28] | Two years later, Google tried again, | 两年后 谷歌再次尝试 |
[1:27:31] | and Jobs e-mailed Google CEO Eric Schmidt | 接着乔布斯寄了封邮件 给谷歌执行长艾瑞克施密特 |
[1:27:34] | to remind him of their gentlemen’s agreement. | 提醒他们之间的善意约定 |
[1:27:39] | Schmidt placated Jobs by assuring him | 施密特向乔布斯保证 |
[1:27:41] | that the culprit would be fired within the hour. | 会立刻开除 这件事的罪魁祸首 |
[1:27:45] | When Jobs learned that the woman had been canned, | 当乔布斯得知 这位女士被处罚后 |
[1:27:48] | he showed his pleasure in two efficient keystrokes. | 他用两个标点符号 表达他的好心情 |
[1:27:58] | Someone’s going to come out of the door. Do we want a shot of that? | 有人要从里面出来了 你想要拍张照吗 |
[1:28:05] | Are you taking a picture of the inside? | 你在拍里面吗 |
[1:28:08] | We’re taking a picture of the Apple logo on the door. | 我们想拍门上的苹果商标 |
[1:28:10] | OK, we cannot have people taking pictures. | 好 但我们不接受拍照 |
[1:28:14] | Tonight, a Wall Street scandal | 今晚 一件华尔街的丑闻 |
[1:28:16] | has reached deep into an iconic American company, | 将深入到一间 美国大规模公司 |
[1:28:19] | the Apple Corporation. | 苹果电脑公司 |
[1:28:20] | It all centers on an alleged scheme | 这件案子主要是由于 |
[1:28:23] | to under-report Apple’s expenses by $40 million, | 苹果公司少报了 四千万美元的开支 |
[1:28:27] | including $20 million | 其中有两千万美元 |
[1:28:29] | that went straight to the company’s celebrity CEO Steve Jobs, | 直接进入了这间公司的名人 史蒂夫乔布斯的户头 |
[1:28:33] | in the form of what are known as backdated options. | 以我们都熟悉的 回溯期权的方式 |
[1:28:38] | I first met Steve Jobs shortly after I became editor of Fortune magazine. | 我当上财富杂志的编辑不久 我第一次见到乔布斯 |
[1:28:43] | And I said, “Listen, we’d love to have a good relationship with Apple | 我说”听着 我们很乐于 和苹果维持良好关系” |
[1:28:46] | and do stories about you.” | “我们也想写你的故事” |
[1:28:47] | And he said, “Look, this is how it’s going to work.” | 他说”听好 规则是这样” |
[1:28:50] | “You know, you want to do a story about us, | “你知道 你想要采访苹果” |
[1:28:52] | you call us up, propose it, you know, | “你打给我们 向我们提案 |
[1:28:55] | we’ll think about it.” | 然后我们会好好考虑一下” |
[1:28:56] | “We’ll basically come up with the ideas with you, | “我们会想出怎么和你合作” |
[1:28:59] | or come up with the ideas, we’ll call you, | “或是和你们杂志合作 我们会回电给你” |
[1:29:02] | we’ll figure out who the writer is going to be on your staff to do the story.” | “我们再弄清楚谁要来撰写 你讲的这些东西” |
[1:29:07] | And I said, “Well, you know, Steve, that’s not really how we do things.” | 我回答”史蒂夫 我们业界 并不是这样做事的” |
[1:29:11] | And he goes, “That’s how you do things with Apple.” | 他接着说”苹果就是这么做事的” |
[1:29:14] | So I say to myself, | 我对我自己说 |
[1:29:15] | “Why don’t we do a story about the stock options?” | “那么我们何不写一篇 股票期权的报导” |
[1:29:18] | “Because no one’s really figured it out.” | “从来没有人好好写过” |
[1:29:21] | So, I decided to put one of our top investigative reporters on the story, | 所以我决定让一位 顶尖的调查记者加入这报导 |
[1:29:25] | Peter Elkind. | 彼得艾尔金 |
[1:29:27] | Steve Jobs had a very talented group of key lieutenants around him. | 史蒂夫乔布斯 有非常优秀的副手团队 |
[1:29:30] | And he wanted give his people stock option grants that were so big, | 而他想要补助他们 一笔庞大的股票期权 |
[1:29:35] | that they wouldn’t even think about going somewhere else | 如此一来他们便不会跳槽 |
[1:29:37] | because the upside was so enormous. | 因为金额实在太庞大了 |
[1:29:39] | The key thing is if the stock goes up, | 重点在于 一旦股票上涨 |
[1:29:44] | which we always hope it does, | 我们也希望如此 |
[1:29:48] | then the golden handcuffs are dramatically increased, | 接着金手铐 就会戏剧性的增加 |
[1:29:53] | which is what I was hoping would happen. | 这就是我非常渴望发生的事情 |
[1:29:57] | To make those option deals even sweeter, | 这样就能让这笔交易 变得更加划算 |
[1:29:59] | companies would allow executives to buy stock on dates in the past | 在过去股价低迷时 公司会让执行层 |
[1:30:04] | when the price was low | 购入公司的股票 |
[1:30:05] | so executives could make millions in the blink of an eye. | 这样他们就能一眨眼 就赚入上百万元美金 |
[1:30:08] | This was called “backdating.” | 这就叫做”回溯权” |
[1:30:10] | And it seemed like the perfect solution, except for one thing. | 看起来十分完美 除了一件事情 |
[1:30:13] | If not properly reported, backdating is illegal. | 若无法正当的呈报 回溯权就是不合法的 |
[1:30:17] | 200 US public companies are under investigation | 有200间美国上市公司 正在接受调查 |
[1:30:20] | over charges of backdated stock options for their senior executives. | 是否有授权让执行层 购入回溯权股票的事情 |
[1:30:26] | Backdating was a dicey game, | 回溯权是个冒险的游戏 |
[1:30:28] | and it landed several executives in jail for fraud, | 这让好几位执行高层 因此锒铛入狱 |
[1:30:31] | but it became a frequent practice at Apple under Jobs. | 苹果在乔布斯带领下 也开始出现这种作法 |
[1:30:34] | Apple eventually conducted an internal investigation | 苹果终于进行了内部调查 |
[1:30:37] | and found thousands of cases | 找到了上千个 |
[1:30:38] | where stock options had been handled inappropriately. | 股票期货被 不正当处理的案例 |
[1:30:41] | None of that had taken place according to the company’s own report | 根据这间公司的报表 在乔布斯回来之前 |
[1:30:43] | before Steve Jobs had returned there. | 苹果不曾做出这种行为 |
[1:30:46] | A key advisor on many of the troubled backdating schemes | 在这么多的回溯权黑幕中 做出关键建议的人 |
[1:30:49] | was a powerful Silicon Valley attorney, Larry Sonsini. | 就是在矽谷享有名气的律师 赖瑞桑辛尼 |
[1:30:53] | Larry Sonsini had kind of | 赖瑞桑辛尼将这种 矽谷的黑暗艺术 |
[1:30:55] | spread this dark art in the world of Silicon Valley. | 展现得淋漓尽致 |
[1:30:57] | He’s the guy who whispered to the CEOs of all the top tech companies, | 他就是会在所有科技公司老板 旁边耳语的人 |
[1:31:01] | “Here’s how you can do this.” | “你能够这么做” |
[1:31:03] | He was certainly very close to Steve Jobs. | 他肯定与史蒂夫乔布斯走很近 |
[1:31:06] | Sonsini had known Jobs since Apple went public in 1980 | 桑辛尼在苹果1980年上市时 就认识乔布斯了 |
[1:31:09] | and had been a board member at Pixar when it created a vast program | 他同时也是皮克斯的董事 那时也是皮克斯开始 |
[1:31:13] | of brazenly backdated options for top executives. | 肆无忌惮的进行 执行高层的回溯权 |
[1:31:16] | Yet despite Jobs’s long history with backdating, | 尽管乔布斯长期操弄回溯权 |
[1:31:19] | Apple’s own investigation, led by Al Gore, | 苹果自家的调查 由艾尔高尔带领下进行 |
[1:31:23] | absolved Jobs of any wrongdoing. | 为乔布斯的违法行为开脱 |
[1:31:26] | Their conclusion was that Steve Jobs didn’t appreciate | 他们做出的结论是 乔布斯并不重视 |
[1:31:28] | the accounting implications of the issue. | 会计在这方面的用途 |
[1:31:31] | I know you’re not an accountant, but do you have an understanding | 我知道你不是会计师 但你是否了解 |
[1:31:34] | as to what generally accepted accounting principles are? | 一般的公认会计准则为何 |
[1:31:38] | Not really. | 不尽然 |
[1:31:40] | Jobs’s accounting naiveté | 乔布斯薄弱的会计知识 |
[1:31:45] | A hero during Apple’s comeback, | 弗莱德安德森的挑战 |
[1:31:48] | Anderson was one exec who took the fall for backdating. | 安德森是回溯权发生时的主管 |
[1:31:56] | you had overall responsibility to ensure that the company | 你有完全的责任 确保整间公司 |
[1:31:59] | complied with all financial reporting requirements, true? | 符合所有财务报表的要求 正确吗 |
[1:32:03] | On advice of council, | 在律师的建议下 |
[1:32:05] | I decline to answer based on my Fifth Amendment rights. | 我将行使我的第五修正案权力 保持缄默 拒绝回答 |
[1:32:09] | When the SEC investigated, | 美国交易证券委员会的调查中 |
[1:32:11] | Apple effectively threw Anderson under the bus. | 苹果很有效率的 将安德森当作替死鬼 |
[1:32:14] | He was forced to resign from Apple’s board | 他被迫从苹果董事会中辞职 |
[1:32:17] | and to pay $3.6 million in penalties. | 并支付三百六十万美元的 滞纳金 |
[1:32:20] | But in a very unusual statement, Anderson’s lawyer made it clear | 但在耐人寻味的声明中 安德森的律师说得很清楚 |
[1:32:24] | that Fred had relied on statements by Jobs that turned out to be false | 弗莱德是依乔布斯之命行事 但却变成错误 |
[1:32:28] | and that Anderson had explained the dangers of backdating to Jobs. | 接着安德森也解释了 回溯权对乔布斯的风险 |
[1:32:32] | Now, this contradicted exactly what Jobs and the company had maintained | 现在 这与乔布斯和 公司的说法完全矛盾 |
[1:32:37] | which was that Steve Jobs didn’t appreciate why this was a problem. | 就是乔布斯并不重视 会计问题的说法 |
[1:32:40] | I think the notion that Steve Jobs knew nothing | 我认为乔布斯一无所知 这样的说法 |
[1:32:43] | and Fred Anderson and Nancy Heinen were entirely responsible is ridiculous. | 弗莱德安德森与南西汉娜 要负全责这件事非常荒谬 |
[1:32:47] | The company has confirmed | 这间公司被证实 |
[1:32:49] | that Jobs himself was awarded backdated options | 乔布斯自己也有 被授与回溯期权 |
[1:32:52] | that carried a false date in October 2001. | 谎报的日期显示为2001年十月 |
[1:32:55] | According to Apple’s own report to the SEC, | 根据苹果给美国交易委员会 的报告显示 |
[1:32:58] | The award was “improperly recorded as occurring at a special board meeting | 这个授予是”在特别董事会 发生的不正当记录” |
[1:33:03] | when in fact such a board meeting did not occur.” | “事实上根本没有 这次的特别董事会议” |
[1:33:06] | A fictitious board meeting that awarded Jobs 7.5 million options. | 这个假的董事会 授予了乔布斯750万的期权 |
[1:33:13] | Just what was going on? | 到底发生什么事 |
[1:33:15] | At first, all fingers pointed to another member of the Apple comeback team, | 一开始 所有矛头都指向 苹果回锅团队的成员 |
[1:33:20] | General Counsel Nancy Heinen, | 总顾问南西汉娜 |
[1:33:21] | who had certified the minutes of the phony board meeting. | 她证实了 这个伪造的董事会议 |
[1:33:25] | Like Anderson, Heinen would settle with the SEC | 像是安德森 汉娜应该 要一起解决美国交易委员会 |
[1:33:29] | without admitting or denying guilt. | 不管有没有认罪 |
[1:33:31] | But her silence raised questions. Would she have just decided on her own | 她的沉默让问题变多了 她究竟是不是出于自愿 |
[1:33:37] | to fake a board meeting in order to enrich Steve Jobs? | 为了史蒂夫乔布斯 伪造了这个董事会议 |
[1:33:42] | Who wanted this done? | 谁想要完成这个 |
[1:33:45] | As we’ve seen in the discussions of the past hour, | 就像过去几小时的讨论中 你们看到的 |
[1:33:51] | I spent a lot of time trying to take care of people at Apple | 我试着为苹果的人着想 |
[1:33:56] | and to, you know, surprise and delight them | 还有 你知道的 让他们开心满意 |
[1:34:03] | with what a career at Apple could mean to them and their families. | 因为我知道对员工和 他们家庭而言这工作有多重要 |
[1:34:09] | And I felt that the board wasn’t really doing the same with me. | 但我不觉得董事会 有对我做出一样的事情 |
[1:34:13] | -Right. -So I was… | -对 -所以我很… |
[1:34:20] | …hurt, I suppose would be the most accurate word. | 受伤 我想这是最正确的形容 |
[1:34:24] | I’d been working, you know, I don’t know, | 我一直都在工作 你知道的 我不晓得 |
[1:34:28] | four years, five years of my life, | 在我人生中四年或五年了 |
[1:34:30] | and not seeing my family very much and stuff. | 我也不常见到我的家人之类的 |
[1:34:34] | And I just felt like | 我只觉得… |
[1:34:37] | there’s nobody looking out for me here, you know? | 没有人为我撑腰 你懂吗 |
[1:34:40] | Right. OK. | 好 好的 |
[1:34:41] | So, I wanted them to do something, and so we talked about it. | 所以我想他们有所作为 然后我们聊了一下 |
[1:34:48] | There’s no question that the directives came from him. | 毋庸置疑这命令是由他下的 |
[1:34:51] | Yet, when the SEC investigated, it was as if he was immune. | 然而随着交易委员会的调查 他似乎是清白的 |
[1:34:58] | I’d wished they’d have come to me and said, | 我多希望他们来找我 然后对我说 |
[1:35:02] | “Steve, we’ve got this new grant for you,” | “史蒂夫 我们有 新的补给给你” |
[1:35:05] | without me having to suggest anything | 而不是要我提点东建议西 |
[1:35:08] | or be involved in anything or negotiate anything. | 或是什么事都要参一脚 什么事都要我协调 |
[1:35:13] | That would have been much better from the company’s point of view | 从公司的观点看来 也是一件好事 |
[1:35:16] | because it would have made me feel better at that time. | 同时也会让我比较舒服一点 |
[1:35:24] | According to one analyst, if Jobs had gone to jail for backdating, | 根据调查 如果乔布斯 因为回溯期权而服刑 |
[1:35:28] | the company’s value would have dropped by $22 billion. | 苹果的市值就会 下跌两百二十亿美元 |
[1:35:35] | But Jobs was Apple’s indispensable man, | 但乔布斯是苹果不可或缺的人物 |
[1:35:38] | and Apple, Silicon Valley’s indispensable company. | 苹果也是矽谷不可或缺的企业 |
[1:35:43] | A cornerstone of the entire American economy. | 美国整个经济的奠基石 |
[1:35:47] | But just how American was Apple? | 但究竟苹果是如何代表美国的 |
[1:35:51] | Do you swear that the testimony you’re about to give will be… | 你是否发誓你在此的证言… |
[1:35:54] | When the US Senate questioned Jobs’s successor, | 美国参议院质询过 乔布斯的接班人 |
[1:35:57] | Tim Cook, about the company’s tax practices, | 提姆库克 关于这间公司的税务处理 |
[1:35:59] | many of the subcommittee members took a moment to state, | 许多小组成员 花了些时间作了声明 |
[1:36:03] | for the record, just how tough they were willing to be. | 来表示这对他们来说有多困难 |
[1:36:08] | I love Apple, and I’m very proud of Apple as an American company. | 我爱苹果 我对于这间美国公司感到骄傲 |
[1:36:13] | Apple is an American success story. | 苹果是一个 美国的成功故事 |
[1:36:17] | Its products are justifiably well-known and used throughout the world. | 它的产品值得它的名气 和在全世界的普及率 |
[1:36:22] | Just like millions around the world, I carry an iPhone in my pocket. | 和世界上百万人一样 我的口袋也有一支苹果手机 |
[1:36:26] | What may not be so well-known | 但世人不知道的是 |
[1:36:28] | is that Apple also has a highly developed tax-avoidance system, | 苹果也有着 巨大的逃税系统 |
[1:36:32] | a system through which it has amassed more than $100 billion | 经估计这系统 在免税国家的境外现金 |
[1:36:36] | in off-shore cash in a tax haven. | 总共超过一千亿美元 |
[1:36:41] | Apple found its tax haven in the green fields of Ireland | 苹果在爱尔兰的绿野 找到了这片免税天堂 |
[1:36:45] | where Jobs and his team set up holding companies in the early 1980s. | 就在乔布斯和团队 1980年早期成立公司时期 |
[1:36:49] | The scheme is known as a “Double Irish”. | 这个手法被称为”双层爱尔兰” |
[1:36:53] | Holly Hill industrial estate | 霍利山房地产 |
[1:36:55] | can scarcely be compared to California’s Silicon Valley. | 根本无法与加州矽谷相比 |
[1:36:58] | There is the feeling that Apple of Cork | 有人说爱尔兰科克的苹果 |
[1:37:00] | may become something of a Silicon Hill. | 可能会成为下一个矽谷 |
[1:37:07] | Today, Apple holds more than $137 billion of its profits overseas. | 直至今日的海内外 苹果握有超过1370亿美元利润 |
[1:37:13] | Much of it in two small Irish companies, one with no employees. | 大部份都在两间小爱尔兰公司 有一间甚至没有员工 |
[1:37:18] | While the actual cash is held and invested by New York banks, | 将钞票握在手上 接受着纽约银行的调查 |
[1:37:22] | the paper profits are steered through an office park in Reno, Nevada, | 由内华达的里诺园区 管理帐面财务 |
[1:37:26] | and then back to the Emerald Isle where it’s taxed at rates less than 1%. | 然后在翡翠岛 那里的税率低于百分之一 |
[1:37:32] | Senator, we’re proud that all of our R&D, | 参议员 我感到很骄傲 我们所有研发团队 |
[1:37:34] | or the vast majority of it, is in the United States. | 或是说大部份的人 都在美国 |
[1:37:36] | I know, but the profits that result from it are sitting in Ireland | 我知道 但你们的营利 却都在爱尔兰 |
[1:37:40] | in corporations that you control that don’t pay taxes. | 在你们旗下的公司 一毛税金都没付 |
[1:37:44] | Part of the mythology of these new companies | 这些新公司的谎言中有部份 |
[1:37:48] | was that they in some way reflected something about America. | 在某些层面 反映出这就是美国 |
[1:37:55] | Both Google and Apple have played on the idea | 谷歌和苹果都用这种政治手法 |
[1:37:58] | of political virtue as part of selling their company. | 为贩卖公司当作幌子 |
[1:38:02] | So then to find out they weren’t about political virtue is distressing. | 所以发现他们并不是如此正派 很让人难过 |
[1:38:14] | Steve Jobs said he wanted to change the world, but into what? | 史蒂夫乔布斯说他想要 改变世界 但变得如何 |
[1:38:20] | Companies all over the world make choices on how to treat workers, | 变成整天只想着 如何欺骗员工的全球企业 |
[1:38:23] | what to give back and where to put their money. | 要怎么拿回他们的钱 以及要放在哪里 |
[1:38:27] | What were Steve’s choices? | 史蒂夫的选择到底是什么 |
[1:38:29] | In meditation, he found simplicity. | 在冥想之中 他找到简约 |
[1:38:32] | He loved the idea of “Be Here Now.” But where was “here?” | 他喜欢”活在当下”的点子 但他的当下在哪 |
[1:38:39] | Ladies and gentlemen, we have just landed | 各位先生女士 我们现在正在… |
[1:38:43] | at Beijing International Airport. | 北京国际机场的第三航厦 |
[1:38:53] | I thought it was important to cover China | 我认为抢下中国 是非常重要的 |
[1:38:56] | because Apple has all of its products made there. | 因为苹果所有的产品 都在这里制造 |
[1:39:01] | I mean, they design their own products, | 我的意思是 他们自己设计了产品 |
[1:39:04] | but the manufacturing is done in China, | 但是制程都在中国进行 |
[1:39:06] | and so it’s caught up in another country’s industrial revolution. | 所以这与另一个国家的 工业革命息息相关 |
[1:39:10] | And a lot of that is out of Apple’s control. | 而大部份都超出苹果的控制 |
[1:39:19] | Four workers died and 77 were wounded | 四名员工死亡 七十七名受伤 |
[1:39:22] | in explosions at two Apple supplier factories | 就在两间苹果供应厂的 一次大爆炸 |
[1:39:26] | caused by careless safety procedures. | 事故原因是安全疏忽 |
[1:39:29] | The solvents used to sparkle Apple’s touch screens | 这溶剂本来是用来 照亮苹果的触控荧幕 |
[1:39:31] | were powerful but dangerous, causing nerve damage | 它们十分危险 会损害神经 |
[1:39:35] | that led to weakness and loss of touch in workers. | 造成重大伤亡 |
[1:39:39] | They complained about low wages and pressure to meet Apple’s deadlines. | 他们抱怨着低薪资 及赶工的压力 |
[1:39:45] | In the Chinese factories of many tech companies, | 在中国许多科技工厂 |
[1:39:48] | copper, chromium and other heavy metals | 铜 铬及各种重金属 |
[1:39:50] | saturate the run-off that flows into local waterways. | 会被大量排放到当地下水道 |
[1:39:54] | Sometimes chemical levels are so high | 有时候化学指数太高了 |
[1:39:56] | that sewage treatment plants can’t adequately clean the water | 污水处理厂 无法在供水之前 |
[1:39:59] | for it ever to be used again. | 充分清理水源 |
[1:40:03] | In 2010, Chinese activist Ma Jun contacted | 2010年 中国活动份子马云 |
[1:40:07] | all the tech manufacturers | 联络了所有科技制造商 |
[1:40:09] | to discuss the issue and even wrote to Jobs personally. | 一起探讨这问题 他甚至写信给乔布斯 |
[1:40:13] | All the companies ultimately responded except one. Apple. | 所有的公司都有回覆 除了一间 就是苹果 |
[1:40:18] | It wasn’t until Jobs left the company | 直到乔布斯离开苹果才回信 |
[1:40:20] | that Apple even agreed to speak to Ma Jun. | 他们愿意和马云谈谈 |
[1:40:29] | Foxconn is Apple’s top supplier, | 富士康是苹果最大供应商 |
[1:40:32] | so it all goes downhill from there in terms of the standards, | 一切都从这里开始 从标准来看 |
[1:40:36] | in terms of everything. | 从所有角度来看都是如此 |
[1:40:40] | These young people come from the countryside | 这些年轻人来自乡下 |
[1:40:43] | under unimaginably poor conditions, looking for a better life. | 在难以想像的贫困环境下 寻求着更好的生活 |
[1:40:54] | Sun Danyong, nicknamed Yong, | 孙丹勇 小名阿勇 |
[1:40:57] | came to Foxconn from a small mountain village. | 从山中的小村落来到富士康 |
[1:41:02] | Placed in the product communications department, | 在产品通讯部门工作 |
[1:41:04] | he was responsible for the security of iPhone prototypes | 他负责的是 苹果产品的样本安全 |
[1:41:08] | bound for Apple’s headquarters in Silicon Valley. | 然后会送到矽谷的苹果总部 |
[1:41:11] | In 2009, an iPhone 4 prototype went missing | 2009年 苹果手机第四代样本 |
[1:41:15] | on Yong’s watch. | 在阿勇的管理下消失了 |
[1:41:24] | Sun Danyong was the first factory worker | 孙丹勇是首名出现在 |
[1:41:28] | who came under the spotlight. | 镁光灯下的工厂员工 |
[1:41:31] | What makes his story incredibly vivid is that in today’s day and age, | 今天看来 当时的画面仍然鲜明 |
[1:41:37] | there’s CCTV cameras recording where his movements were. | 中央电视台的摄影机 正录下他的一举一动 |
[1:41:41] | He had a conversation with his friends on the Chinese Twitter site, | 他在中国的推特上和朋友聊天 |
[1:41:45] | and you could really track what had happened. | 你可以很清楚看见 到底发生什么事 |
[1:41:50] | Yong searched high and low for the prototype | 阿勇在回报样本消失 |
[1:41:53] | before reporting it missing to Foxconn security. | 给富士康安管处前 正四处找寻着样本 |
[1:41:57] | That evening, officials took him into an interrogation room | 那晚 官方将他带进了询问室 |
[1:42:00] | where he was assaulted | 他遭受了攻击 |
[1:42:02] | and was told police would arrive the next morning to question him. | 并且被告知隔天早上 警方会抵达质问他 |
[1:42:06] | Yong was finally permitted to leave the factory at 10:41pm. | 最后阿勇在晚上10点41分 被允许离开工厂 |
[1:42:11] | He wandered to an internet cafe where he chatted online with his friends. | 他走到了网咖 在那里和朋友进行网路对话 |
[1:42:32] | He logged off around 1:30 in the morning. | 他在大约凌晨一点30分登出 |
[1:42:37] | Soon after, security cameras spotted him in an elevator | 很快的 监视器拍摄到他在 |
[1:42:40] | in his apartment complex. | 他公寓的电梯内 |
[1:42:42] | He got out on the 12th floor and texted his girlfriend. | 他走出12楼 并传讯息给女朋友 |
[1:43:02] | At 3:33am, security cameras recorded Sun Danyong jumping to his death. | 凌晨三点33分 监视器录到孙丹勇跳楼身亡 |
[1:43:15] | Over a period of two years or so, there were 18 suicides. | 过了两年多 总共发生了18起自杀案件 |
[1:43:19] | Foxconn set up these nets to catch people who fall off. | 富士康架设了这些网子 接这那些往下跳的人 |
[1:43:25] | People were jumping off of the buildings, | 人们从大楼上往下跳 |
[1:43:27] | so they were going to prevent people from dying | 所以他们就解决往下跳的问题 |
[1:43:29] | by having safety nets to catch them. | 方法就是设一个网子 |
[1:43:38] | You know, they’ve had, if you count the attempted suicides, | 你知道 他们总共 将所有自杀加起来 |
[1:43:41] | 13 so far this year. | 今年已经有13件了 |
[1:43:44] | And while that is still… They have 400,000 people at this place. | 而且之后仍然…这里有四十万名员工 |
[1:43:49] | So, 13 out of 400,000 is 26 per year so far. | 所以 四十万有13名 平均每年26个 |
[1:43:53] | For 400,000 people or, you know, let’s say seven per 100,000 people, | 对这四十万名员工而言 我们就算每十万人中的七人 |
[1:44:00] | that’s still under the US suicide rate of 11 per 100,000 people, | 仍然低于美国的自杀率 也就是每十万人有十一人 |
[1:44:04] | but it’s really troubling. | 但仍然让人很不安 |
[1:44:06] | Right. It’s in one place, too. | 没错 但这是在同一个地方 |
[1:44:08] | Well, you measure it by number of people. | 如果你用人数来算的话 |
[1:44:10] | You measure it by numbers of people. So, we’re all over this. | 你用人来算 我们就没事了 |
[1:44:14] | And it’s… It’s very troubling. | 这非常…让人不安 |
[1:44:18] | So, we’re over there trying to understand what’s happening, | 所以我们不想再 试着了解发生的原因 |
[1:44:22] | and more importantly, trying to understand how we can help. | 我们觉得更重要的是 试着提供帮助 |
[1:44:31] | Apple isn’t the only company to manufacture in China, | 苹果不是中国唯一的委托制造商 |
[1:44:34] | but it is different in one way. Its enormous profit margin. | 但不同的地方是 庞大的边际效益 |
[1:44:38] | The profit on every iPhone 4 was over $300. | 每台苹果手机第四代 的获利超过三百美金 |
[1:44:43] | Yet Apple paid its Chinese workforce less than $12 per phone. | 但每台苹果手机 员工只拿到低于12美元 |
[1:44:48] | If Jobs had really “thought different,” shouldn’t he have cared more | 如果乔布斯真的”不同凡想” 他难道不应该更在意 |
[1:44:52] | about the people who touched the iPhones | 那些在客户拿到产品前 |
[1:44:54] | before they appeared in the hands of Apple’s customers? | 真正触碰手机的人吗 |
[1:45:06] | When I was writing critical stories about Apple, | 当我在撰稿苹果的社论 |
[1:45:10] | the mail would be 80% hate mail. | 会收到超过八成的谩骂信 |
[1:45:15] | Even the most reasoned, judicious criticism | 就算是最讲理 最好的评论 |
[1:45:21] | about labor practices in China, for crying out loud, it didn’t matter. | 只要是关于中国劳工问题 说再大声都没有用 |
[1:45:27] | People didn’t want to hear it. | 人们根本不想听这个 |
[1:45:30] | They loved this company. They loved its products. | 他们喜欢这家公司 他们爱死了他们的产品 |
[1:45:34] | They loved the status symbol of having these things in their hand | 他们喜欢拥有这些产品 所具有的象征意义 |
[1:45:37] | and looking at it all the time, and it just felt cool, | 能够一直盯着看 感觉非常的酷 |
[1:45:41] | and they’d stood in line for two days to buy one, | 他们愿意为了买一台 排两天的队 |
[1:45:46] | and they didn’t want to hear it. | 但他们不想听到这个 |
[1:45:54] | I was one of those people who had to have an iPhone. | 我曾经跟那些人一样 手上拿着一台苹果手机 |
[1:45:57] | I didn’t want to hear about other products, | 其它品牌的产品 我看都不看一眼 |
[1:46:00] | and I believed against all reason | 而且我深信着 |
[1:46:02] | that owning an iPhone made me part of something better. | 拥有一台苹果手机 多少能让我变得更好 |
[1:46:06] | And when it was in my pocket, for every idle moment, | 只要我带着它出门 任何空闲时刻 |
[1:46:10] | my hand was drawn to it, like Frodo’s hand to the ring. | 我就不由自主拿起它 就像佛罗多想拿魔戒一样 |
[1:46:15] | The real magic of it is that these myths | 它真正的魔力就是迷思 |
[1:46:18] | are surrounding a company that makes phones. | 就是这间公司的迷思 |
[1:46:25] | A phone is not a mythical device. Um… | 电话不应该是充满迷思的设备 |
[1:46:31] | And it sort of makes you wonder less about Apple than about us. | 而且应该让你想着自己 而不是苹果 |
[1:46:40] | The myth-making around technology in general | 通常来说 带有迷思的科技技术 |
[1:46:43] | allows the technologist to do things that would be viewed as heinous | 会任由这些科技人做出 在别的公司会被视为 |
[1:46:50] | if they were done by other kinds of companies. | 十恶不赦的事情 |
[1:46:56] | This is a story that’s amazing. | 这是多么奇妙的故事啊 |
[1:46:58] | It’s got theft, it’s got buying stolen property, it’s got extortion. | 它被偷了 它被买了 是赃物 然后被敲诈 |
[1:47:03] | I’m sure there’s sex in there somewhere, you know? | 我相信那里一定有发生性行为 你知道吗 |
[1:47:05] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[1:47:07] | So somebody should make a movie out of this. | 应该要有人把这拍成一部电影 |
[1:47:10] | If you were to make a movie about it, | 如果你要把这拍成电影 |
[1:47:13] | the first scene would be set in a beer garden in Silicon Valley. | 第一幕应该就要拍 矽谷的啤酒花园 |
[1:47:16] | As he swilled a few steins of Pilsner, | 他喝了几壶皮尔森啤酒就醉了 |
[1:47:19] | Apple’s Gray Powell was testing out a new iPhone prototype. | 苹果的葛雷鲍威尔正在测试 新的苹果手机样本 |
[1:47:25] | But when Powell staggered out of the bar, he forgot one thing. | 但鲍威尔踉跄走出酒吧时 他忘了一个东西 |
[1:47:28] | The iPhone. | 苹果手机 |
[1:47:30] | It was found on a bar stool by a college student named Brian Hogan. | 一个名叫布莱恩霍根的大学生 在酒吧凳上找到手机 |
[1:47:37] | And this e-mail comes into our tip box, | 然后我们的信箱收到一封信 |
[1:47:39] | and there was this guy claiming that he had this new iPhone prototype. | 有个人声称他手上有 苹果的最新样本 |
[1:47:43] | Getting inside Apple’s security fort, | 进入了苹果的安全堡垒 |
[1:47:48] | and look at something that is under wrap. | 看到了在包装下的东西 |
[1:47:50] | But back then, when Steve Jobs was at the helm and in his full power, | 但回顾过去 当史蒂夫乔布斯正握有大权时 |
[1:47:54] | it was impossible to get anything from them. | 很难从他们手上取得东西 |
[1:47:56] | It was incredibly exciting. | 这让人太兴奋了 |
[1:47:58] | At that point, Apple didn’t have a whole lot of leaks. | 在那时候 苹果并没有这么多漏洞 |
[1:48:01] | And then I go to Nick and I say, | 接着我去找尼克说 |
[1:48:04] | “We think it’s the real thing, and they want their money.” | “我们觉得这是真的 而且他们想要钱” |
[1:48:08] | And Nick said, “Anything you want.” | 尼克就说”就这样办吧” |
[1:48:10] | For us, there’s no question as to whether we write the story or not. | 对我们而言 写不写这个故事 没有太大差别 |
[1:48:14] | That’s what was so disturbing, I think, to Steve Jobs, | 这件事情困扰的 我认为是史蒂夫乔布斯 |
[1:48:17] | was that he’d been used to having | 因为他过去习惯 |
[1:48:19] | a much more controlled relationship with the press. | 握有更大的媒体掌控权 |
[1:48:22] | Our plan was to take pictures of it, | 我们的计划是拍下照片 |
[1:48:25] | write about it, and then return it back to Apple. | 记录下来 然后把回报给苹果 |
[1:48:28] | Hey, I’m Jason Chen. This is the new iPhone. | 嘿 我是陈杰森 这是新的苹果手机 |
[1:48:31] | Here are some of the new features. | 这里有些新功能 |
[1:48:33] | In the beginning, it was OK. Only nerds looking at it, I guess. | 一开始还好 只有些宅男在看 我猜 |
[1:48:37] | And then the story started to pick up. | 但慢慢的这件事 开始被炒作起来 |
[1:48:40] | You know, it was the biggest scoop in tech in history. | 你知道 这是科技史上 最大的独家新闻 |
[1:48:46] | “Hi, this is Steve Jobs. I want my phone back.” | “喂 我是史蒂夫乔布斯 我想要回我的电话” |
[1:48:49] | And it was in a really charming voice. | 那声音听起来真好听 |
[1:48:51] | And it’s same way you’d ask for, you know, a hat you’d lent a friend. | 就像你借朋友一顶帽子 然后你想要回来 |
[1:48:56] | I’d met him a couple of times before. It was his voice, unmistakably. | 我已经见过他好几次了 那就是他的声音无误 |
[1:49:00] | He said, “You know, I’m not mad at you.” | 他说”你要知道 我没有生你的气” |
[1:49:02] | “It’s someone we worked with who lost it.” | “是我们公司的人 把它弄丢了” |
[1:49:04] | “But you’ve had your fun, and we need this phone back | “但你已经玩够了 所以我们要把手机要回来” |
[1:49:06] | before it gets into the wrong hands.” | “我们不希望它落入别人手里” |
[1:49:08] | And at that point, I was thinking, “Isn’t it already in the wrong hands?” | 那时候我想”不是已在别人手里了吗” |
[1:49:17] | Nick at that moment said, “Ask for a letter.” | 尼克那时候说”我想要一封信” |
[1:49:22] | “Ask for an official letter asking for it.” | “我想要一封询问的官方信” |
[1:49:24] | “We need the actual confirmation that this is the real thing.” | “我们需要证明 这是真的产品” |
[1:49:26] | The next call, he said he didn’t want to claim it. | 下一通电话 他说他想低调一点 |
[1:49:30] | He really changed his tone at that point, | 那时候他的声调改变了 |
[1:49:32] | because it would affect the sales of the current model, | 因为可能会影响到 现有机种的销售 |
[1:49:35] | which is kind of disappointing, you know? | 听起来有点不开心 你知道吗 |
[1:49:37] | You hear all these stories about this guy not caring about money. | 我们听了很多这个家伙 有多么不在意钱的故事 |
[1:49:39] | And he goes, “This is some serious shit.” | 然后他说”这不是闹着玩的” |
[1:49:42] | “If I have to serve you papers, I’m coming for something, | “如果我要给你钱 我一定会记得” |
[1:49:45] | and it’s going to mean someone in your organization is going to go to jail.” | “也代表着你公司有人 准备要进监狱了” |
[1:49:48] | For a reporter who’s got a chip on his shoulder against corporations, | 对于一名冲动报导的记者来说 |
[1:49:51] | that’s like, “Martyr me. Please, martyr me.” | 听起来就像”牺牲我吧 牺牲我吧” |
[1:49:55] | “I’ll go to jail for an iPhone. Like, really.” | “我要为了苹果手机坐牢了 是真的” |
[1:49:59] | He called back later and he said, “OK, we’ll get you the letter,” | 他后来打来说”好 我会寄官方信给你” |
[1:50:03] | and he was just resigned and cold. | 听起来很顺从及冷漠 |
[1:50:05] | So, they sent us the letter, and they sent a lawyer from Apple | 接着 他们寄了信 |
[1:50:08] | to Jason’s house to pick up the phone. | 接着苹果派了律师 到杰森的家取回手机 |
[1:50:11] | It was a very cold exchange. | 真是一笔冷漠的交易 |
[1:50:13] | He said, “I believe you have something of mine,” or something. | 他说”我相信你有 属于我的东西”之类的 |
[1:50:16] | And I handed it to him, and he said, “Thank you very much,” and he left. | 然后我交给他 他说”非常谢谢你”就离开了 |
[1:50:19] | Was that the end of it, as far as Apple was concerned? | 这件事情有像 苹果想的一样落幕吗 |
[1:50:22] | No, of course not. Then all the nightmares started. | 不 当然没有 然后恶梦就开始了 |
[1:50:54] | The cops had to bash in the guy’s door? | 警方必须撞门进他家 |
[1:50:58] | Don’t they know there’s an app for that? | 他们不知道有 相关应用程式吗 |
[1:51:02] | Anyone who’d worked with Jobs before | 只要跟乔布斯一起工作过 |
[1:51:04] | would know of other instances where he’d been a bully. | 就会知道这个人是恶霸 |
[1:51:07] | But this was probably the most public evidence of bullying. | 但这应该是他欺负别人 最公开的证据了 |
[1:51:11] | My wife and I went out for dinner. We came back home, | 我和我妻子外出用餐 我们回到家中 |
[1:51:15] | and we noticed the garage door was slightly opened. | 然后我们发现垃圾口的门 有一点点被打开 |
[1:51:18] | You know, and I was wondering, “What’s going on?” | 你知道 我想着”发生什么事了” |
[1:51:21] | And I opened it all the way, and I noticed there were people inside. | 然后我把门打开 我注意到有人在里面 |
[1:51:24] | And I thought, you know, “Holy crap, I’m being robbed.” | 我想着”糟糕 我被抢劫了” |
[1:51:28] | And then I looked closer and realized it was cops. | 然后我走近一看 才知道原来是警察 |
[1:51:33] | The cops seized boxes of Chen’s personal property | 警察取得了陈的私人财产 |
[1:51:35] | including four computers, two cellphones | 包含四台电脑 两台手机 |
[1:51:38] | and a box of his business cards. | 还有他的公司卡 |
[1:51:43] | For the Gizmodo movie, this raised questions of plot and motivation. | 在这部落格的电影中 提出了很多情节及动机的问题 |
[1:51:48] | Why break down Chen’s door after he returned the iPhone? | 为什么要破陈家门 他都归还手机了 |
[1:51:53] | They showed me the warrant to search the premises and said, | 他们给我看搜查令 搜了我家之后说 |
[1:51:57] | “We’re part of the REACT team.” | 我们是”反应”团队的一部份 |
[1:51:59] | After they searched the house, obviously I went and Googled it. | 他们搜查完房子后 我当然就去上网搜寻 |
[1:52:02] | The officers who raided Chen’s apartment | 搜查陈家的警员 |
[1:52:04] | were part of a little-known criminal task force called REACT, | 是一个鲜少人知的 叫做”反应”的反罪专案小组 |
[1:52:08] | composed of local, state and federal officials | 由当地的联邦警察组成 |
[1:52:11] | on the lookout for corporate espionage in Silicon Valley. | 专门寻找矽谷的商业间谍活动 |
[1:52:17] | My initial response was, “This is cool. It’s Apple.” | 我第一个反应是”很酷啊 因为是苹果” |
[1:52:21] | Chris Feasel was the deputy DA advising REACT on the case. | 克里斯费索是副地方检察官 是这团队的顾问 |
[1:52:26] | After the raid on Chen’s apartment, | 他们搜完陈家后 |
[1:52:28] | Feasel was received at Apple by Jobs himself. | 费索在苹果由乔布斯本人接待 |
[1:52:31] | He was very, very nice, very high-energy. | 他非常非常的充满活力 |
[1:52:36] | We had a back-and-forth about what he wanted to see happen | 我们讨论了一下 关于他预计如何处理 |
[1:52:39] | versus what some of the realities were about doing a prosecution. | 如果提出告诉的话 会发生些什么事情 |
[1:52:42] | He was very supportive about whatever choices that we made on the case. | 他表现出非常支持 我们所有决定 |
[1:52:46] | Where do people come down on this? | 人们会怎么想 |
[1:52:48] | -Where do you come down on it? -Well, I can just tell you what… | -你怎么想 -这个嘛…我只能说 |
[1:52:51] | There is an ongoing investigation by the DA, and I’m not current on it. | 地方检察官还在搜索中 我不知道进度如何 |
[1:52:58] | He was very involved in it and very interested in it | 他非常的积极参与 |
[1:53:02] | and wanted to be kept abreast | 想要及时知道消息 |
[1:53:03] | about what was going on in the investigation. | 关于调查中发生的事情 |
[1:53:06] | Jobs had every reason to expect that he would be kept informed | 乔布斯想出各种 他应该随时被告知的理由 |
[1:53:10] | because REACT wasn’t a purely government agency. | 因为”反应”并不是一个 完全的政府机构 |
[1:53:13] | It had a steering committee | 它有一个监督委员会 |
[1:53:15] | composed of many of the major companies in the Valley. | 由矽谷许多大公司组成 |
[1:53:19] | In a town so completely dominated by the tech industry, | 在一个完全由科技产业 主宰的小镇 |
[1:53:22] | had law enforcement become the muscle | 有一个执法单位 |
[1:53:25] | for the largest corporations in the world? | 为全球最大的公司效劳 |
[1:53:31] | He was very, very adamant and very passionate about his creation. | 他非常 非常的坚定 也非常热爱他的作品 |
[1:53:38] | And the only analogy I can think of is if somebody stole your baby, | 我唯一能想到的比喻就是 如果有人偷了你的小孩 |
[1:53:42] | you would be very upset about it. | 你就会非常的不高兴 |
[1:53:44] | That’s how Mr Jobs felt. Somebody had taken his baby. | 这就是乔布斯先生的感受 有人拿走了他的小孩 |
[1:53:51] | In spite of pressure from Apple, | 尽管苹果给了很大压力 |
[1:53:53] | the DA decided not to pursue the charges against Chen | 助理检察官 决定不对陈提起告诉 |
[1:53:56] | because he hadn’t received stolen property. | 因为他没有偷任何东西 |
[1:53:59] | He was a journalist doing a story. | 他是一个写故事的记者 |
[1:54:02] | When this whole thing with Gizmodo happened, | 整件事是因为 另一个部落格发生的 |
[1:54:06] | I got a lot of advice from people that said, | 我听到很多人建议我 |
[1:54:11] | “You shouldn’t go after a journalist because they bought stolen property, | “你不应该追究记者 因为他们就是会买赃物” |
[1:54:18] | and they tried to extort you. You should let it slide.” | “然后敲诈你 你应该放过他们” |
[1:54:22] | “Apple’s a big company now. You don’t want the PR.” | “苹果是间大公司 你不会想要炒这种新闻” |
[1:54:27] | “You should let it slide.” | “你该放过这件事” |
[1:54:29] | And I thought deeply about this, and I ended up concluding | 我深思熟虑后做了结论 |
[1:54:34] | that the worst thing that could possibly happen | 最遭的状况就是 |
[1:54:37] | as we get big and we get a little more influence in the world, | 当我们规模渐长 对世界有了一点影响力 |
[1:54:42] | is if we change our core values and start letting it slide. | 这时却改变了核心价值 开始放过事情 |
[1:54:49] | I can’t do that. I’d rather quit. | 我办不到 我宁愿辞职 |
[1:54:54] | What values was Jobs talking about? | 乔布斯说的是什么价值 |
[1:54:57] | When Apple was taking on IBM, it was David versus Goliath. | 当初苹果对上IBM 就是小虾米对大鲸鱼 |
[1:55:02] | But when Apple became Goliath, to whom was Jobs giving the finger? | 但当苹果变成大鲸鱼后 乔布斯的敌人变成谁 |
[1:55:12] | The sad thing is that how many months did he have left after that? | 让人伤心的是 他离开后过了多久 |
[1:55:17] | This was a guy who knew, who knew at the time, | 这个人知道 他一直都知道 |
[1:55:23] | he was dying, and he dedicated, what, ten minutes of his life | 他正在死去 然后他用了生命中的十分钟 |
[1:55:30] | to talk about these guys who found a phone in a bar | 谈论这些在酒吧捡到手机的人 |
[1:55:33] | and then published a story about it? | 然后就将这件事情公开于大众 |
[1:55:36] | Isn’t that a little bit strange? | 这件事不会有点奇怪吗 |
[1:55:41] | My third story is about death. | 我第三个故事跟死亡有关 |
[1:55:46] | About a year ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. | 大约在一年前 我被诊断出癌症 |
[1:55:50] | I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, | 我在早上七点半全身扫描 |
[1:55:52] | and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. | 然后很清楚的看到 我的胰脏有一颗肿瘤 |
[1:55:55] | I didn’t even know what a pancreas was. | 我甚至不知道胰脏是什么 |
[1:55:57] | The doctors told me | 医生告诉我 |
[1:55:59] | this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, | 这是几乎无法被治愈的癌症 |
[1:56:03] | and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. | 我只剩下差不多 三到六个月的生命 |
[1:56:07] | My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, | 我的医生建议我回家 把事情都安排好 |
[1:56:12] | which is doctor’s code for “prepare to die.” | 用他的意思是”准备后事” |
[1:56:15] | It means to try and tell your kids | 也就是说要告诉你的小孩 |
[1:56:17] | everything you thought you’d have the next ten years to tell them | 你本来要在未来十年里 慢慢告诉他们的事情 |
[1:56:21] | in just a few months. | 现在几个月内就要说完 |
[1:56:23] | I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening, I had a biopsy. | 我整天都在治疗 那天晚上 我做了切片检查 |
[1:56:28] | I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, | 我被注射镇定剂 我妻子在我身边 |
[1:56:32] | told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope, | 告诉我他们用显微镜 看着我的细胞 |
[1:56:35] | the doctors started crying because it turned out to be | 医生开始流泪 因为其实我患的是 |
[1:56:38] | a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. | 非常罕见的胰腺癌 可以透过手术治好 |
[1:56:42] | I had the surgery and, thankfully, I’m fine now. | 我动了手术 谢天谢地 我好了 |
[1:56:50] | Steve Jobs talked about his cancer very emotionally | 史蒂夫乔布斯在2005年的 史丹福大学毕业典礼 |
[1:56:52] | at the Stanford graduation ceremony in 2005. | 谈到癌症历程时 变得很情绪化 |
[1:56:56] | And he very clearly told the story | 他把故事说得一清二楚 |
[1:56:58] | to make it sound as though he had been diagnosed | 让一切听起来 就像是他被诊断出癌症 |
[1:57:01] | and moved immediately to surgery, and been cured. | 然后马上动了手术 接着就康复了 |
[1:57:04] | That simply wasn’t true. | 这根本就不可能 |
[1:57:05] | What I found out, over a period of months of reporting, | 当我从那几个月的 报告中发现 |
[1:57:09] | was that Steve Jobs actually had been diagnosed with cancer | 史蒂夫乔布斯是真的 罹患了癌症 |
[1:57:12] | nine months earlier, and that for a period of nine months, | 就在九个月前 而在这九个月中 |
[1:57:16] | he had refused to have the surgery that every medical expert said | 他拒绝接受任何手术 尽管医学专家都表示 |
[1:57:19] | was necessary to increase his prospects for survival. | 这能够成功增加 他的存活率 |
[1:57:22] | Instead of having the surgery, | 与其动手术 |
[1:57:24] | he had sought alternative medicine approaches | 他寻求了不同的医学方法 |
[1:57:28] | to try to cure himself of cancer. | 想要治疗癌症 |
[1:57:31] | Entrepreneurs have an almost pathological need to control their own fate. | 企业家都有一种想要 控制自己人生的病态渴望 |
[1:57:36] | They’ll take any suffering if they can just be in charge of their destiny | 知道自己能够掌握命运 而不是交到别人手中 |
[1:57:40] | and not have it in somebody else’s hands. | 会让他们没那么难受 |
[1:57:42] | Apple’s stock has been volatile on rumors about Jobs’s health. | 乔布斯的健康状况开始传开后 苹果的股价开始动荡不安 |
[1:57:47] | The company’s stock was halted for a time, | 这间公司的股价一度停摆 |
[1:57:49] | then took a big hit when it re-opened in after-hours trading. | 并在收盘后开始大跌 |
[1:57:53] | Apple’s share prices have dropped | 每一次乔布斯没有消息 |
[1:57:55] | with every pound that Jobs has lost in recent months. | 苹果的股价就开始下降 |
[1:58:00] | Apple really landed into a dicey situation | 苹果的状况岌岌可危 |
[1:58:02] | when Steve decided to issue a letter saying, | 这时史蒂夫发表一封信 |
[1:58:04] | “Well, you know, nothing’s wrong with me.” | “是这样的 我没什么大碍” |
[1:58:06] | “It’s just a minor problem,” And it wasn’t a minor problem. | “只是一个主要的问题 但又不是一个主要的问题” |
[1:58:10] | Steve Jobs made a point of withholding from the world | 乔布斯先替这世界打了预防针 |
[1:58:14] | that he faced this illness. | 就是他正面对着病痛 |
[1:58:16] | That’s something investors want to know, | 这是投资者想知道的事情 |
[1:58:18] | because when you bought Apple stock then, | 因为当你买了苹果的股票 |
[1:58:20] | you were buying into Steve Jobs. | 你就是买了乔布斯的面子 |
[1:58:22] | He was obligated to tell shareholders right away | 他有义务要告诉所有股东 |
[1:58:26] | about this serious illness. | 他生病的事情 |
[1:58:29] | You do personally want to give Steve the privacy, | 你当然也会想要 让乔布斯有点隐私 |
[1:58:31] | but Steve put the spotlight on him, | 但是他将自己成为焦点 |
[1:58:34] | and you can’t turn that off just because it’s inconvenient. | 你不能因为不方便说明 就把聚光灯通通关掉 |
[1:58:41] | After the story came out, I saw Steve. | 整件事情曝光后 我和乔布斯见了面 |
[1:58:44] | He started talking about Apple, and he said, | 他开始谈起苹果 然后他说 |
[1:58:47] | “You know, Apple is really a company that doesn’t have any divisions.” | “苹果真的是一间 没有任何分裂的公司” |
[1:58:51] | “We don’t have all this bureaucracy.” | “我们不需要什么官僚作风” |
[1:58:53] | And I said, “Steve, that would be a great story for Fortune.” | 我说”史蒂夫 这很适合登在财富杂志上” |
[1:58:56] | And he looked at me, and he said, “No.” | 然后他看着我说”不” |
[1:59:02] | “I don’t think we can do that story with you. Not now.” | “我不认为我们现在 适合让你写这故事” |
[1:59:09] | “Not now.” | “现在不适合” |
[1:59:11] | And then he said, and the whole room went quiet, | 然后他说 整间房间寂静无声 |
[1:59:15] | and he said, “you know, we used to…” | “你知道 我们以前…” |
[1:59:21] | “We used to really be friends with Fortune, | “我们曾经和 财富杂志的关系很友好” |
[1:59:24] | I used to be friends with Fortune, but not anymore. Not anymore.” | “以前就像朋友一样 但再也不是了 不是了” |
[1:59:31] | And then I remember these tears came out of his eyes, | 然后我记得他的眼中 开始掉下眼泪 |
[1:59:35] | and one was on his glasses, | 有一滴还在他的眼镜上 |
[1:59:37] | and then one, I remember it rolling off his cheek and hitting his shirt, | 然后有一滴滚下他的脸庞 掉在他的衬衫上 |
[1:59:41] | and he was just crying, and the whole room was silent. | 他就这样哭泣着 整个房间寂静无声 |
[1:59:48] | Apple CEO Steve Jobs today made his first public appearance | 苹果执行长史蒂夫乔布斯 五个月前进行肝脏移植后 |
[1:59:52] | since getting a new liver five months ago. | 今天首次公开露面 |
[1:59:54] | For the first time, the 54-year-old CEO publicly acknowledged | 这是第一次这名 54岁的执行长公开承认 |
[1:59:59] | the liver transplant this spring that saved his life. | 当年春天进行的肝脏移植 救了他的性命 |
[2:00:02] | Well, I now have the liver of a mid-20s person. | 我现在有了20岁的肝脏 |
[2:00:11] | I’d like to take a moment and thank everybody in the Apple community | 我想要花点时间 感谢所有在苹果的人 |
[2:00:16] | for the heartfelt support I got, too. It really meant a lot. | 那些暖心的支持 对我而言意义重大 |
[2:00:20] | And I’d also like to especially thank Tim Cook | 我还要特别感谢提姆库克 |
[2:00:25] | and the entire executive team of Apple. | 还有整个苹果的执行团队 |
[2:00:29] | They really rose to the occasion | 他们扳回了局面 |
[2:00:32] | and ran the company very ably in that difficult period. | 在如此艰难的时刻 将公司经营得这么好 |
[2:00:36] | So, thank you, guys. Let’s give them a round of applause. | 所以 谢谢你们 让我们给他们掌声 |
[2:00:40] | He loved what he did. I do have an e-mail from him saying that. | 他爱他的工作 我收到一封他寄给我的邮件 |
[2:00:44] | He said, you know, “Both of us were fortunate,” he said, | 信中说”我们两个都如此幸运” |
[2:00:46] | in that we loved what we did and we were able to do it for a long time. | “因为我们都乐于工作 而且可以做得很久” |
[2:00:52] | And he said, “What else could you ask for?” | 他还写了”夫复何求” |
[2:00:56] | We’re maybe a little more experienced, certainly more beat-up, | 我们也许有比较多经验 也看过比较多世面 |
[2:01:01] | but the core values are the same. | 但核心价值是一样的 |
[2:01:04] | I don’t see why you have to change if you get big. | 我不知道为什么 成功了就要改变 |
[2:01:09] | Straightforward to me. | 我始终如一 |
[2:01:12] | Apple was big. | 苹果很大 |
[2:01:14] | By this time, one of the biggest corporations in the world. | 在此时此刻 是全球最大的企业 |
[2:01:21] | But each time we saw Jobs, he seemed smaller. | 但每一次我们看到乔布斯 都好像变小了一点 |
[2:01:28] | As his devices got stronger, Jobs got weaker. | 随着他的产品越来越厉害 乔布斯则变得越来越虚弱 |
[2:01:32] | It’s so much more intimate than a laptop, | 这比笔记型电脑还要更亲密 |
[2:01:36] | and it’s so much more capable than a smartphone | 又比智慧型手机 能做够多事情 |
[2:01:39] | with this gorgeous, large display. | 有了这个超棒的大荧幕 |
[2:01:41] | I think that a lot of the grief at Jobs’s death | 我认为这么多对乔布斯的哀悼 |
[2:01:45] | was a fear that we had been very comfortable | 是因为害怕我们太习惯 |
[2:01:50] | for the last decade in his hands. | 这十年来出于他手上的产品 |
[2:01:53] | It’s phenomenal to hold the internet in your hand. | 将网路拿在手上的感觉 实在太好了 |
[2:01:57] | That he was going to keep doing these amazing things. | 他本来要继续 做这些奇妙的事情 |
[2:02:00] | Now he’s gone, and there’s no indication that anyone’s going to replace him. | 但他走了 不可能有人能取代他的地位 |
[2:02:36] | Welcome. | 欢迎 |
[2:02:44] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[2:02:58] | Thank you very much. | 非常谢谢你 |
[2:03:03] | -It always helps… -We love you! | -这总是能帮助 -我们爱你 |
[2:03:07] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[2:03:09] | It always helps, and I appreciate it very much. | 这总是帮助很大 我非常感恩 |
[2:03:12] | He resigned officially in August. Two weeks earlier, | 他在八月正式辞职 就在两个礼拜前 |
[2:03:16] | Apple had become the highest-valued corporation on Earth. | 苹果正式成为全世界 最有价值的公司 |
[2:03:20] | And thank you for coming so much. We’ve got a great week planned for you. | 谢谢你的到来 我们为你计划了很棒的一周 |
[2:03:49] | This is a field where one does not write a principia | 在这领域 我们不是写下 |
[2:03:53] | which holds up for 200 years | 会被瞻仰两百年的金玉良言 |
[2:03:55] | or paints a painting that’ll be looked at for centuries, | 或是画下会流传世纪的画作 |
[2:03:58] | or builds a church that will be admired | 也不是建一座受人景仰的教堂 |
[2:04:02] | and looked at in astonishment for centuries. | 让世人都为之惊叹 |
[2:04:04] | No, this is a field where one does one’s work, | 不 这个领域是 我们做好分内的工作 |
[2:04:06] | and in ten years, it’s obsolete | 然后十年后就过时了 |
[2:04:08] | and really will not be useable within ten or 20 years. | 然后十到二十年内 就完全不能用了 |
[2:04:11] | I mean, you can’t go back and use an Apple I, | 我的意思是 你也不能回去用第一代苹果手机 |
[2:04:13] | cos there’s no software for it. | 因为已经没有适合它的软件了 |
[2:04:14] | In another ten years or so, you won’t be able to use an Apple II. | 再过十年 你也不会再用第二代苹果手机 |
[2:04:17] | You won’t even be able to fire it up and see what it was like. | 你甚至不能让它再次火红 无法想像那是如何 |
[2:04:21] | It’s sort of like sediment of rocks. You’re building up a mountain, | 可以说是石头的沉积作用 你正在堆一座山 |
[2:04:26] | and you get to contribute your little layer of sedimentary rock | 你必须要感谢那些 一层一层堆积起来的小石头 |
[2:04:30] | to make the mountain that much higher. | 才能让这座山如此高大 |
[2:04:32] | But no one on the surface will, unless they have x-ray vision, | 但没有人可以从表面上…除非他们用X光 |
[2:04:36] | will see your sediment. | 就可以看到你的石堆 |
[2:04:41] | In Japan, there’s an idea called “mono no aware,” | 在日本 有一个说法叫”悼物” |
[2:04:44] | meaning “the deep awareness of things”. | 意思就是”为物品致上最深的感受” |
[2:04:48] | It celebrates the melancholy of the passing of life | 这庆祝了逝去生命的哀愁 |
[2:04:51] | and sees more beauty in the fallen leaf than the one on the branch. | 比起枝头的绿叶 更欣赏落叶的美 |
[2:04:56] | Maybe that’s what Japan held for Jobs. | 也许这就是日本 吸引乔布斯的原因 |
[2:04:59] | The sadness of the soul as expressed in the beauty of things. | 灵魂的哀伤 就像对事物美感的表达 |
[2:05:09] | In the end, I was left with the same question | 在最后我要提出一开始 |
[2:05:12] | with which I began this journey. | 我问的问题 |
[2:05:13] | “Why did so many strangers weep for Steve Jobs?” | “为什么有这么多陌生人 为乔布斯哭泣” |
[2:05:18] | It’s too simple to say it was because he gave us products we love | 可以很简单的说因为 它给了我们喜爱的产品 |
[2:05:21] | without asking why we love them the way we do. | 甚至不需要问我们理由 |
[2:05:25] | It’s too simple even to conclude that we love them | 可以简单的做出结论 我们喜欢这些产品 |
[2:05:28] | because they connect us to a wider world | 因为它将我们连接到 另一个更广阔的世界 |
[2:05:30] | and the people in our lives that are far away, | 连接到那些在真实生活中 离我们很远的人们 |
[2:05:33] | because these machines isolate us, too. | 因为机器也孤立了我们 |
[2:05:39] | Perhaps the contradictory nature of our experience with these gadgets | 也许正是因为我们和这些产品 之间的冲突性 |
[2:05:43] | mirrors the contradictions in Jobs himself. | 反映出了乔布斯自身的矛盾 |
[2:05:48] | He was an artist who sought perfection, but could never find peace. | 他是寻求完美的艺术家 但永远无法感受到平静 |
[2:05:54] | He had the focus of a monk, but none of the empathy. | 他专注在僧侣的禅修 但却没有同情心 |
[2:06:01] | He offered us freedom, but only within a closed garden, | 他带给我们自由 但却限于一个封闭的花园中 |
[2:06:04] | to which he held the key. | 唯一的钥匙就在他手上 |
[2:06:11] | To reconcile these contradictions, | 要弥平这些矛盾 |
[2:06:13] | I think we have to look to the other half of our relationship with Jobs. | 我认为必须要好好检视 我们和乔布斯的另一半连结 |
[2:06:17] | To ourselves. | 就是我们自己 |
[2:06:22] | As Jobs wanted it, the screen of my iPhone is dark. | 如乔布斯所愿 我苹果手机的荧幕变暗了 |
[2:06:26] | A Zen landscape of the unseen. | 一个未知的禅境 |
[2:06:29] | If I stare into it, I see an obscure reflection of myself, | 当我盯着荧幕看 我看到我自己的倒影 |
[2:06:34] | but this impression lasts just a fleeting moment | 但这个感觉瞬间即逝 |
[2:06:37] | before I press the home key and the screen lights up. | 只存在于我按下控制键 让荧幕变亮之前 |
[2:06:40] | But perhaps I should spend a moment regarding that reflection, | 但是也许我应该就这倒影 好好思考一下 |
[2:06:44] | asking myself what, in buying and using this product, I am doing? | 扪心自问 我购买这产品用来做什么 |
[2:06:51] | What is the full nature of my transaction | 买下这台魔法般 又紧贴我生活的机器 |
[2:06:53] | with the maker of this magical and intimate machine? | 真正本质究竟是什么 |