英文名称:Snow Falling on Cedars
年代:1999
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[04:26] | -Move it up. -Is this right? | -把它拉上来 -像这样 |
[04:29] | Yeah, yeah. | 对啦 |
[04:39] | -We’re not supposed to take these. -Don’t worry about it. | -我们不该拿这些鱼的 -先别管这么多 |
[04:41] | -Just get the net in. -I don’t think you’re… | -把渔网收进来再说 -我觉得你… |
[04:47] | Oh, Jesus. | 我的妈啊! |
[05:00] | We’re not pulling at the same time. | 我们一定要同时拉才行 |
[05:06] | What? Jesus! | 又怎么了? 天哪 |
[05:35] | Did any more of you guys see Carl at Ship Channel Bank last night? | 除了这几个人外 昨天你们还有谁看到卡尔 |
[05:39] | -Why do you want to know? -To see if somebody talked to him. | -你问这些干嘛? -只是想知道有谁跟他说过话 |
[05:42] | Fish went sour on me when the fog rolled in. I got out of there. | 一起雾 我就收网离开了 那种天气不可能捕鱼的 |
[05:45] | We got Ferry, Hartwell, Molton, Miyamoto. | 现在有费瑞 哈维 莫顿跟宫本 |
[05:48] | -Anybody else? -Japs. | -还有其他人吗? -小日本 |
[05:52] | I figured you’d have heard by now. | 我就知道你会出现 |
[05:55] | All right, if you see any of these guys… | 好吧! 如果你们有谁 看到其中任何一个人 |
[05:58] | Art’s starting to sound like a real sheriff. | 亚瑟的口气越来越像警长了 |
[06:02] | I think this was just an accident. | 我认为这只是件单纯的意外 |
[06:04] | Of course it is, but a man’s dead, William. | 威廉 我当然知道 但是有人死了 |
[06:06] | I’ve gotta write my report. Guys. | 各位 我得回去写报告了 |
[06:11] | Chambers, tell me… | 你老实告诉我 |
[06:13] | I’m not gonna pick up your newspaper… | 我该不会一拿起你的报纸 |
[06:15] | and read some article about an investigation, am I? | 就看到一篇有关谋杀的报导吧 |
[06:18] | -You want me to lie? -No, I wanna be off the record. | -你要我说谎? -不 只是希望你暂时不要报导 |
[06:22] | That’s what I want. | 我只有这个要求 |
[06:26] | I mean, if there’s a killer, why would you want ’em all alerted? | 我是说 你何必要事先 警告凶手让他有所准备呢 |
[06:31] | -So it is a murder investigation? -I didn’t say that. | -换言之 这是件谋杀案啰 -我可没这么说 |
[08:29] | Hatsue | 初枝 |
[08:38] | Hatsue? You all right? | 初枝 你还好吧? |
[08:42] | Go away, Ishmael. | 伊士麦 走开 |
[08:51] | -Look, I just wanted to tell you… -Go away. | -拜托 我只是想要告诉你 -走开 |
[09:06] | There you go, Miyamoto. | 好啦! 宫本 |
[09:14] | Sir. | 您好 |
[09:20] | Sir, just a minute. | 请您稍等一会 |
[09:30] | Morning, Kazuo. | 一雄 早安 |
[09:33] | I’ve come to get you off. | 别担心 一切有我 |
[09:38] | -Good morning, sir. -Counselor. | -您早 -早! |
[09:44] | -Sorry I’m late. -That’s all right. | -抱歉 我来晚了 -没关系 |
[09:46] | Looks like we have a good turnout. | 看来这件案子很轰动 |
[09:58] | How about that jury? What a bunch of yokels. | 那陪审团呢 全都是群乡巴佬 |
[10:02] | Have you seen the Silent Review rag? | 有没有看这份”小岛评论报” |
[10:05] | Guy writes like this trial is the biggest thing ever happened. | 那个记者把这件案子写的 像是前所未有的大事一样 |
[10:08] | Why is this news in Seattle? | 为什么连西雅图 都在报导这件案子 |
[10:10] | Because he’s a Jap. Simple as that. | 因为嫌犯是个日本人 就这么简单 |
[10:15] | Hey, take a look at that. | 喂! 你看 |
[11:12] | Would you tell us, please, Sheriff… | 警长 能不能请你描述 |
[11:15] | what was your first impression… | 你当时的第一个印象 |
[11:18] | as you and your deputy inspected the Susan Marie… | 就是在九月的那个早晨 |
[11:21] | that fateful September morning? | 你和副警长一块 检查”苏珊玛莉号”的时候 |
[11:24] | Mainly, how quiet it was out there… | 主要是觉得海面上是那么的平静 |
[11:28] | and things just didn’t add up. | 而事情却是那么的不合逻辑 |
[11:33] | -“Add up”? What do you mean? -A fisherman drowned. It happens. | -为什么你认为不合逻辑 -渔夫不小心淹死 以前也发生过 |
[11:37] | But Carl Heine… | 但是卡尔海恩… |
[11:40] | I got to thinking, he was so meticulous. | 我仔细考虑过 他总是非常小心翼翼 |
[11:43] | He did everything right by the darn book. | 做任何事向来都是一丝不苟 |
[11:46] | Every single light is on, Art, and his net’s out. | 亚瑟 每一盏灯都亮着 而他的渔网在海里 |
[11:51] | -I got a bad feeling about this. -Don’t say that, Abel. | -我有个不好的预感 -亚伯 闭上你的乌鸦嘴 |
[11:54] | Don’t even think like that. Jesus. | 拜托 你不要乱说话 行不行 |
[13:11] | There’s nothing in the hold, Art, apart from fish. | 亚瑟 货舱里除了鱼之外 什么也没有 |
[13:16] | You wanna pull up the net? | 要把渔网拉上来吗? |
[13:18] | So looking at the evidence there… | 所以依照现场的证据研判 |
[13:20] | you determined this was no accident. | 你认定这不是件单纯的意外 |
[13:24] | Well, no, I didn’t determine much of anything at first. | 事实上 一开始我并没有 认定任何事 |
[13:28] | I just kept wondering what I was gonna say to his family. | 我只是一直在想 该怎么跟他家人说 |
[13:31] | I mean, after all, I knew the guy. | 我的意思是 毕竟我认识死者 |
[13:34] | I knew his wife and children and… | 也认识死者的妻子和小孩 还有… |
[13:59] | -Hey, men. -Hi. | -嗨! 小朋友 -你好 |
[14:03] | -Is your mother home? -She’s inside. | -你妈妈在家吗? -她在里面 |
[14:07] | Go on and play now. | 你们去玩吧 |
[14:10] | -Right in there. -Okay. | -就在里面 -知道了 |
[14:21] | Susan Marie? | 苏珊玛莉在吗? |
[14:24] | Come in! I’ll be right down! | 请进 我马上下来 |
[14:44] | Hey. What can I do for you, Art Carl’s not home yet. | 有什么需要我帮忙的吗? 亚瑟·卡尔还没回来 |
[14:47] | That’s why I… | 我就是为了… |
[14:52] | That’s why I’m here. | 这就是我来这儿的原因 |
[14:57] | I’m afraid I’ve got some very bad news to tell you. | 很抱歉 我有一个坏消息要告诉你 |
[15:01] | The worst kind of news. | 是你最不想听到的坏消息 |
[15:05] | Carl died last night out at Ship Channel Bank. | 卡尔昨晚在船舰湾不幸罹难了 |
[15:12] | Carl’s just fine. | 卡尔好的很 |
[15:17] | I found him, Susan Marie. | 苏珊玛莉 是我找到他的 |
[15:18] | I found him tangled in his net. | 他被缠在自己的渔网里 |
[15:30] | I knew this would happen. | 我一直怕会有这么一天 |
[15:39] | I warned him. | 我不想告诉他们 |
[16:02] | Well, Sheriff, you said there was no sign of a struggle. | 警长 你说 现场没有丝毫挣扎的迹象 |
[16:08] | Nothing out of the ordinary. | 没有任何异状 |
[16:13] | Well, as I said… | 我之前说过 |
[16:16] | with a fella as particular as Carl… | 这样的意外发生在卡尔的身上 |
[16:19] | there were a couple of things that struck me as odd, yeah. | 确实是有几件事让我感到奇怪 |
[16:22] | You mentioned the coffee cup on the floor. | 你提过咖啡杯掉在地上 |
[16:26] | Was there anything else out of place? | 还有什么东西位置不对的吗 |
[16:30] | There was a dead battery just lying around… | 有一个坏电瓶摆在外面 |
[16:32] | and the cover to the battery well didn’t fit right. | 而电池槽的盖子却盖不上 |
[16:37] | A battery cover that didn’t fit. | 一个关不上的电池槽 |
[16:41] | -What did you make of that? -Objection. | -那你认为是什么原因 -反对 |
[16:44] | Asking the witness to speculate. | 要求证人进行推测 |
[16:46] | Gosh, Alvin, was I supposed to object every time you did that? | 天哪! 艾文 每次你叫证人推测时我是不是也该反对呢? |
[16:51] | That’s quite enough horseplay. Try and act your age. | 你们两个吵够了没 尼尔斯 别这么幼稚 |
[16:55] | If I did that, Your Honor, I’d be dead. | 法官大人 我再不及时行乐就来不及了 |
[16:58] | -Proceed, gentlemen. -There’s an objection, Your Honor. | -继续审讯 法官大人 -辩方提出反对 |
[17:01] | And it’s overruled. | 反对驳回 无效 |
[17:04] | You may answer the question. | 请证人回答问题 |
[17:06] | I looked under the lid… | 我查看了盖子底下 |
[17:08] | and one of the batteries was bigger than the other. | 发现两个电瓶 一大一小 尺寸不一 |
[17:12] | Didn’t that also strike you as odd that he would have… | 这个发现是否让你觉得很奇怪 |
[17:15] | a battery that didn’t fit… a man as particular as Carl? | 像卡尔这样谨慎的人 怎么会有一个尺寸不合的电瓶 |
[17:19] | Oh, yeah. No, I wondered. | 是啊! 我是觉得很奇怪 |
[17:23] | But he’d done some on-the-spot work, you see. | 不过 他也做了些立即的补救 |
[17:26] | And the flange was kind of banged away… | 因为电瓶的边边被敲掉了 |
[17:30] | to make room for the one that was too big. | 这样就有较多的空间 放那枚大电瓶 |
[17:32] | Would this “too big” battery have fit, say… | 这枚过大的电瓶 尺寸会不会刚好适合 |
[17:37] | Kazuo Miyamoto’s battery? | 宫本一雄的电池槽呢 |
[17:39] | It was the exact same type as Miyamoto’s, that’s for sure. | 我很肯定 宫本用的是同型的电瓶 |
[17:42] | But, he had both of his batteries in… | 可是后来我们搜查他的船 |
[17:45] | when we searched his boat later on, so I… | 却发现两枚电瓶都在电池槽里 所以我也… |
[18:10] | When you fall off a motorcycle, the injuries look different. | 不同的死因会在死者身上 造成不同的伤口 |
[18:12] | Now, in this case, the injury had been inflicted… | 至于在这个案例中 伤口是遭到 |
[18:15] | by a long, narrow, flat object. | 一件窄长 扁平的物体 撞击而形成的 |
[18:19] | Like a fishing gaff, for example? | 有没有可能是一支鱼叉呢? |
[18:21] | That’s very possible. | 非常有可能 |
[18:23] | -Yeah. -Now, you say… | -果然没错 -你说过… |
[18:27] | it was a laceration… | 裂开的伤口 |
[18:29] | -two-and-a-half inches long… -He was hit hard. | -大约有2.5英寸长 -他被伤的很重 |
[18:31] | over the left ear. | 在左耳的位置 |
[18:32] | -Wanna play Sherlock Holmes? -The bone under it… | -有没有兴趣当福尔摩斯? -下面的骨头 |
[18:35] | fractured over a four-inch area. | 骨折的面积超过4英寸 |
[18:37] | -What would’ve caused that? -I’ll tell you what… | -是什么原因造成的呢? -告诉你 |
[18:40] | a head wound like this puts me in mind of. | 类似的伤口让我想起来 |
[18:42] | I’ve seen wounds exactly like this… | 一模一样的伤口我见多了 |
[18:47] | many times in the war. | 尤其是在打仗时 |
[18:50] | Have you seen this specific kind of wound before? | 你以前见过这类特定的伤口? |
[18:53] | Frequently, as a result of hand-to-hand combat with Jap soldiers. | 时常看到 是由于和日本鬼子近身博斗的关系 |
[18:57] | I even told Art, “You wanna play Sherlock Holmes… | 我甚至告诉亚瑟 想要扮神探破案 |
[19:00] | look for a Jap with a bloody gun butt.” | 只要找到有武士刀的小日本就对了 |
[19:03] | What led you to that conclusion? | 为何你会下此结论? |
[19:05] | I’ve seen these kendo wounds many times, exactly like this one. | 卡尔的伤口跟我以前见过的剑道伤口完全一样 |
[19:10] | Could you tell us what kendo is? | 能否解释一下什么是剑道? |
[19:24] | Kendo is Japanese stick fighting. | 剑道就是日本的竹剑博击 |
[19:27] | They train as kids, you know, to kill with sticks. | 日本人自小就接受训练 学习用竹剑杀人 |
[19:36] | No further questions. Thank you. | 没有其他的问题了 谢谢你 |
[20:16] | Your report states it was death by drowning, not a kendo. | 你的验尸报告中指出 死因为溺毙 并非剑道攻击 |
[20:21] | How did you determine this? | 你又是如何判断的 |
[20:23] | As I’ve already testified, I found foam in the deceased’s lungs. | 我之前作证时就说过 死者肺部内有泡沫 |
[20:28] | Yes, this foam. | 嗯! 泡沫 |
[20:31] | I’m not sure I understand about this, Horace. | 贺瑞斯 我不确定我了解你的意思 |
[20:34] | What would cause that again? | 到底是什么原因导致此种死因 |
[20:36] | It occurs when water, mucus and air are mixed by respiration. | 是因为肺部作用使得 水 黏液和空气混合 |
[20:40] | Breathing, that is. I believe I said that. | 也就是所谓的呼吸 相信我已经提过了 |
[20:43] | But you can see why I’m confused. | 不过你一定了解 为什么我听不懂 |
[20:44] | Because a drowned person doesn’t breathe, so… | 因为淹死的人是不会呼吸的 所以… |
[20:47] | Of course not. The foam means that he went in breathing. | 当然不会 泡沫显示死者落水时正在呼吸 |
[20:52] | That’s why the autopsy report shows drowning as the cause of death. | 这就是为何验尸报告上 记录死因是溺毙的缘故 |
[20:57] | I see. Meaning that… | 原来如此 换句话说 |
[20:59] | he wasn’t murdered first, say on the deck of the boat… | 死者并非先在船上遭人杀害 |
[21:02] | -and then thrown overboard. -Well, you can always… | 然后再被弃尸大海 但是你也可以… |
[21:04] | Thank you, Horace. That’s important. That’s good. | 谢谢你 贺瑞斯 这点非常重要 |
[21:07] | But there’s something else I’d like to ask you about. | 另外 还有些事情我想请教你 |
[21:10] | Something in your report. | 在你报告中有些疑点 |
[21:13] | Go ahead, ask. | 你问啊! |
[21:15] | About the wound to the deceased’s head. | 有关死者头部的伤口 |
[21:18] | You say here… | 验尸报告上说 |
[21:20] | that it was made by a long, narrow, flat object. | 伤口是由 窄长 扁平的物体造成的 |
[21:25] | Is that what you saw, or it is just your inference? | 是你亲眼看到的呢? 或者是你个人的推论 |
[21:28] | It’s my job to infer. That’s what coroners do we infer. | 身为验尸官 我的工作就是必须作推论 |
[21:32] | That’s my area of expertise inference. | 那是我的专门知识领域 |
[21:36] | Of course it is. Of course, Horace. | 贺瑞斯 那当然是你的专业 |
[21:38] | Can you infer, then, whether an object was propelled… | 既然如此 你能否推断到底是硬物 |
[21:42] | against the head of the deceased… | 划破了死者的头部 |
[21:44] | or if his head moved against an object… | 还是他的头部撞上了硬物 |
[21:47] | or would both look the same? | 两者的伤口 看起来是否相同 |
[21:49] | The same. | 完全一样 |
[21:51] | So if the head struck something narrow and flat… | 所以 头部如果撞到 任何窄长 扁平的物体 |
[21:54] | like the gunnel of the boat or net roller, a fairlead… | 例如: 船缘 卷网器 或垂网铅片 |
[21:58] | could that have happened? | 都有可能形成相同的伤口 |
[21:59] | If a head were moving fast enough, but I don’t see how it could be. | 假如撞击的速度够快的话 虽然我不认为有可能 |
[22:03] | Nonetheless, it is possible? | 但是你也不能肯定 |
[22:05] | Sir, anything’s possible. | 任何事都有可能发生 |
[22:06] | Is it fair to say that you don’t know for certain which it was? | 所以你也无法确定 死者的伤口是从何而来的 |
[22:10] | Look, didn’t I just say… | 听着 我刚才… |
[22:12] | -I already said that. -But you are certain… | -我说过我不确定 -不过你很肯定 |
[22:15] | that he died by drowning? | 死者是死于溺毙 |
[22:17] | For the third time, yes. Can I say something here? | 是的 正如我前两次所说 我能说句话吗? |
[22:21] | No, thank you, Horace. You’ve been more than helpful. | 不能 谢谢你 你帮的忙够多了 |
[22:24] | -No further questions. -The witness may stand down. | -我已经问完了 -证人可以离开证人席了 |
[22:28] | We’ll take our lunch recess now. Reconvene at 1:30 sharp. | 本庭宣布现在暂时休庭 下午一点半准时开庭 |
[22:46] | How are the kids? | 孩子们还好吧 |
[22:47] | They made a snowman to welcome you home. | 他们堆了一个雪人 要欢迎你回家 |
[22:52] | Wow, that’s great. | 真的吗? 太棒了 |
[22:55] | Anyway, just a few more days. | 无论如何 再过几天就结束了 |
[22:58] | You look beautiful. I’m not going until you smile. | 你好漂亮 笑一个 不然我就不走 |
[23:07] | I think it’s dangerous with this jury. | 我觉得这样 会引起陪审团的反感 |
[27:38] | I’m sorry I kissed you on the beach. | 很抱歉 我在海边亲了你 |
[27:46] | Let’s just forget about it. Forget it happened. | 让我们忘了这件事 就当没发生过 |
[27:50] | Don’t be sorry. I’m not. | 用不着道歉 我很高兴 |
[27:57] | Me neither. | 我也是 |
[28:35] | Do you think this is wrong? | 你认为这样作对吗? |
[28:40] | Your friends would. Your dad would kill me. | 你朋友会认为不好 你爸一定会杀了我 |
[28:44] | My mom is the problem. | 我妈才是最难缠的 |
[28:55] | Stay away from white boys. | 不要理那些白人男孩 |
[28:58] | Marry one of your own kind whose heart is strong and gentle. | 嫁个可以依靠终生的日本丈夫 |
[29:04] | The hairpin should be better placed… | 发簪一定要插对位置 |
[29:06] | for a girl to find the right husband. | 这样才能找到好丈夫 |
[29:12] | She teaches me to be Japanese. | 她教导我做个日本人 |
[29:15] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[29:16] | Dances, calligraphy, how to do my hair… | 学习舞蹈 书法 如何梳头发 |
[29:20] | how to sit without moving. | 怎样才能坐有坐相 |
[29:22] | What’s the point of that? | 干嘛那么麻烦 |
[29:28] | It’s a part of grace. You boys don’t understand. | 你们男生不懂 这就是仪态的一部份 |
[29:32] | Try me. | 说来听听 |
[29:36] | She doesn’t let me get away with anything. | 我妈一天到晚找我麻烦 |
[29:41] | It’s the same for me… | 我们两个同病相怜 |
[29:43] | except it’s my dad. | 我爸也是这样 |
[30:09] | Know what would happen to an operator… | 你知道操作员的袖子 |
[30:11] | who got his sleeve caught in the press, huh? | 被印刷机夹住会怎样吗? |
[30:14] | Do you? | 会怎样? |
[30:16] | He’d be popped open like a balloon, splattered all over the walls. | 他的身体会像气球一样爆掉 血肉模糊 |
[30:23] | Even his bones would disappear… | 就连骨头都会不见 |
[30:26] | to be discovered later on the floor like strips of white confetti. | 最后只能在地板上找到骨头屑 |
[30:29] | to be discovered later on the floor like strips of white confetti. | 最后只能在地板上找到骨头屑 |
[30:34] | We’ll make a newspaperman out of you yet. | 我们会让你成为一名 出色的报界从业员 |
[32:44] | Hey, James! | 詹姆士 你好 |
[33:04] | Did you ever wonder why the Strawberry Princess… | 你难道不觉得奇怪 为什么草莓公主… |
[33:06] | -is always a Japanese girl? -Not really. | -总是日本女孩? -不觉得 |
[33:08] | I’m sure your father will explain it to you anyway. | 我相信你爸一定会 不厌其烦的跟你解释 |
[33:11] | It’s sort of an unwitting virgin sacrifice. | 日本女孩当选草莓公主 是有象征性意义的 |
[33:14] | A concept of racial harmony, you know… | 你知道 种族和谐的概念 |
[33:16] | and for a while it seems to work. | 目前为止似乎还蛮有效的 |
[33:26] | -That’s the Fujita girl, isn’t it? -No, that’s Hatsue Imada. | -那是不是藤田家的女儿 -不 那是金田初枝 |
[33:30] | Oh, yes, she’s lovely. | 喔! 她长的很可爱 |
[33:54] | Mrs. Heine… | 海恩太太 |
[33:56] | you were acquainted… | 你认识… |
[33:59] | with the defendant and his family, were you not? | 被告和他的家人 对吗? |
[34:02] | Ja. Him and his folks worked our land. | 对 他和他的父母 帮我们耕种田地 |
[34:06] | They lived in one of our cabins at first. | 刚开始时 他们住在我们的小屋里 |
[34:09] | So, the defendant knew the deceased, your son, even then? | 被告因此认识死者 也就是你的儿子 |
[34:18] | They fished together. | 他们一块钓鱼 |
[34:21] | They went to school. My boy Carl treated him… | 一起上学 我儿子卡尔对他 |
[34:24] | like a white person… | 像对待白人一样 |
[34:26] | just like any friend. | 就像其他的朋友 |
[34:30] | So tell us, Mrs. Heine, where did things go wrong? | 所以海恩太太 事情是从何时开始出问题的 |
[34:40] | My husband went and sold… | 我的先生出售 |
[34:44] | his father seven acres of our land. | 七亩的土地给他的父亲 |
[34:47] | That fence to that fence and then down to the road. | 从这到那的篱笆 然后一直到路那边 |
[34:50] | -That’s seven acres, yeah? -No. | 那样就有七亩了 如何 不行 |
[34:53] | Where, to the edge of the mountain? | 那里 到山脚下? |
[34:58] | All right. | 就这样 |
[35:05] | All right, all right, all right, you drive a hard bargain. | 好吧! 你实在很会谈生意 |
[35:12] | And that’s where all this trouble started. | 从那以后 就麻烦不断 |
[35:14] | But how can this be, hmm… | 但这怎么可能… |
[35:18] | since we all know that it is against the law… | 因为我们都知道法律禁止 |
[35:21] | for Japanese born to own land? | 日本人拥有土地 |
[35:24] | Even leasing is illegal. | 即使租地也是违法的 |
[35:27] | So now, what was the point of this payment plan? | 既然如此 这项贷款计划如何执行 |
[35:30] | Their kids was born here. So, when the oldest… | 宫本家的小孩是在这出生的 当他们的长子… |
[35:35] | that one there, was 20… | 就是等到被告20岁时 |
[35:38] | and last payment gets made, he could own it. | 最后一笔款项也付清了 土地就是他的 |
[35:42] | But they missed their last two payments, so that was that. | 不过他们漏缴了最后两期 所以交易也就取消了 |
[35:46] | They missed their last two payments… | 这么多年来 一直按时缴钱 |
[35:49] | after years of not missing one? | 可是却忘了付最后两笔贷款 |
[35:52] | It was the war. They were gone. | 因为打仗的关系 他们必须离开 |
[35:57] | They were sent off to the camps… | 他们跟其他的小日本一样 |
[35:59] | with all the other Japs. | 被送到集中营去 |
[36:02] | We must leave everything. If you like, work our fields. | 我们不能带走任何东西 你肯的话 可以在我土地上耕种 |
[36:05] | Sell berries, keep money. | 卖掉草莓 把钱留着 |
[36:07] | Otherwise it will rot. Today I have half money for next payment. | 不然会坏掉 下期的贷款我先付一半给你 |
[36:12] | Absolutely not. I’m not going to take your savings. | 绝不可以 在这种时候 我不能拿走你的积蓄 |
[36:16] | You take money. $125. | 你先收下125元 |
[36:19] | I will send more from where I’m going. | 我会从我要去的地方再寄钱来 |
[36:20] | If not enough, sell my seven acres of berries, keep money. | 不够的话 就卖掉我种的草莓折现 |
[36:24] | I thought you was giving us those. | 不是说要把那些草莓送给我们吗? |
[36:28] | Didn’t you come in here giving them away? | 你刚才不是这么说的吗? |
[36:30] | Now you want to make up the other half in berries… | 现在你又想把草莓 卖掉来抵债 |
[36:32] | you expect us to tend and pick? | 还指望我们帮你照料 采收 |
[36:35] | Is that what you come here hoping for? | 这才是你来找我们的目的吧? |
[36:40] | You want more coffee? | 还要点咖啡吗? |
[36:42] | No, thank you. Take money. | 不了 谢谢 钱拿着 |
[36:45] | Etta has been rude to you. For that I apologize. | 我为艾达的无礼向你道歉 |
[36:50] | Keep this money. | 钱你留着 |
[36:54] | As payment, we’ll work out… | 至于贷款的事 我们另外想办法 |
[36:56] | So the arrangement was, those payments would be made… | 所以商量的结果是… |
[36:58] | -somewhere down the road. -Somewhere down the road. | -等他们有钱时再付 -等他们有钱时再付 |
[37:01] | The road ended when my husband passed away. | 一直等到我先生去世 |
[37:05] | I couldn’t run the farm by myself… | 我无法一人独立经营农场 |
[37:08] | so I sold… | 因此 我… |
[37:10] | all 30 acres to Ole Jurgenson. | 以合理的价钱把三十亩地 |
[37:14] | For a fair price this time. | 都卖给了杰金生 |
[37:17] | And I sent back their equity… | 然后我把小日本付过的钱… |
[37:19] | to those Japs down to that camp in California… | 寄到加州的集中营还给他们 |
[37:23] | which I didn’t have to do. | 虽然我没必要这么做 |
[37:25] | So they got all their money back? | 换言之 他们并未吃亏 |
[37:28] | That was that… | 事情就这样? |
[37:31] | or did you hear from the defendant’s family again? | 之后你有再听到被告家的消息吗? |
[37:33] | Oh, yes, I heard from them. | 是的 我有听到他们的消息 |
[37:34] | I heard from that one there. | 就是被告席上那位 |
[37:36] | That one sitting there just showed up at my door. | 就是他 突然出现在我家门口 |
[37:44] | Carl’s overseas. He’s fighting the Japs. | 卡尔现在人在 南太平洋打日本人 |
[37:47] | -What is it you want? -I came to get our land back. | -你想干嘛? -我是来要回我家那块地 |
[37:51] | It isn’t yours. | 那不是你家的 |
[37:52] | It’s Ole Jurgenson’s now. Talk to him. | 是杰金生家的了 有事找他去 |
[37:55] | I just did. He didn’t know it was our land. | 我刚跟他谈过了 他不知道那块地是我家的 |
[37:57] | You didn’t tell him Mr. Heine promised my father… | 你并没有告诉他 海恩先生答应我父亲 |
[38:00] | I’m supposed to tell him there’s some illegal contract… | 难道我要告诉他 是因为非法的合约 |
[38:02] | muddling things up? | 才把事情搞砸的? |
[38:04] | You people didn’t make your payments. | 你们没有按时缴钱 |
[38:06] | In America, the bank comes in and repossesses your land. | 在美国 拖欠银行贷款 土地是会被强制收回的 |
[38:08] | I didn’t do anything wrong. | 我并没有做错 |
[38:10] | Nothing illegal. Wrong is a different matter. | 你没有违法 可是你违背诺言 |
[38:13] | Get out. | 滚出去 |
[38:14] | You took advantage of the fact that we were gone. | 你趁我们不在时占我们便宜 |
[38:17] | You sold the land from under us while I was fighting the Nazis. | 当我在欧洲打纳粹时 你却偷偷卖掉我家的地 |
[40:45] | Your witness. | 由辩方律师审讯 |
[40:52] | Just three questions. | 只有三个问题 |
[40:56] | The Miyamoto family bought your seven acres… | 宫本家向你们购买七亩地 |
[41:00] | for $4,500? | 价钱是4千5百元? |
[41:02] | They tried to. They defaulted on their payments. | 是没错 但是他们付不出贷款 |
[41:06] | Second question: | 第二个问题 |
[41:08] | What did Ole Jurgenson pay you per acre? | 杰金生每一亩地付你多少钱 |
[41:11] | A thousand. | 1千 |
[41:13] | I guess that makes what would have been $4,500… | 我猜那使原本卖4千5百元的地… |
[41:18] | into $7,000, doesn’t it? | 变成现在卖7千元了 对吗 |
[41:20] | So if you sent the equity back, you had a profit… | 就算你把本金寄还给宫本家 |
[41:24] | of $2,500? | 你还净赚了2千5百元? |
[41:27] | -Is that your third question? -It is. | -这就是你的第三个问题? -没错 |
[41:31] | You’ve done your math right. | 你算的很正确 |
[41:34] | You too, Mrs. Heine. | 彼此彼此 海恩太太 |
[41:36] | No further questions. | 没有其他问题了 |
[41:38] | You may step down, Mrs. Heine. | 海恩太太 你可以离开证人席了 |
[41:41] | Before we adjourn for the day, there’s one more thing. | 在退庭前 本庭还有一件事要宣布 |
[41:47] | This court take judicial notice of the fact that tomorrow… | 由于明天是 日本偷袭珍珠港九周年纪念 |
[41:51] | is the ninth anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor… | 法庭事先在此提醒各位 |
[41:54] | which has no relationship whatsoever to this trial. | 本案审讯 与日军偷袭珍珠港无关 |
[41:59] | Which is why I mention it. | 希望大家牢记在心 |
[42:03] | 9:30 tomorrow morning. Stay warm. | 明早九点半再度开庭 |
[42:09] | They plowed clear out to the point. What’s the big attraction? | 从这里到灯塔的积雪已经清除了 你问这干嘛? |
[42:13] | I’m checking lighthouse records to see if it’s… | 我想检查灯塔的天气记录 |
[42:14] | the biggest snowstorm in island history. | 看看这是否是本岛有史以来 最大的暴风雪 |
[42:17] | Where were you in ’29? That was a snowstorm. | 1929年 暴风雪来袭时 你人在这吗? |
[42:20] | -Real blizzard. -Is that right? | -那才叫大风雪 -真的吗? |
[42:22] | If you don’t believe me, check the coast guard records. | 不信的话 去查海岸防卫队的记录 |
[42:26] | There should be a story in it. | 里面应该会有好的题材 |
[42:28] | Scribble, scribble, while the rest of us have to work for a living. | 你用脑力赚钱 我们得用体力赚钱 |
[42:32] | Always a pleasure, Dave. | 戴夫 谢谢你的消息 |
[43:31] | Everything’s dated. We do things by dates mainly. | 全部的资料都有日期 我们主要是按日期归档 |
[43:36] | Radio transmissions, shipping logs, weather reports. | 无线电通话记录 船只航行和天气报告 |
[43:39] | The whole nine yards. Those stacks go clear back to Noah. | 所有相关的资料都在这 那叠资料可以送博物馆了 |
[43:43] | Not that anyone ever pays them any mind. | 根本就没人要看 |
[43:45] | You monitor all radio activity? Fishermen, that sort of thing? | 你们监听所有的无线电活动 包括渔夫在内? |
[43:48] | Pretty much. Anything significant anyway. | 几乎全部 不过是选重要的听 |
[43:51] | Some of these guys don’t know when to shut up. | 有些家伙长舌的很 |
[43:53] | Well, just yell if you need me. | 要帮忙的时候叫我 |
[44:03] | Left is this. This is right. | 白棋在左 黑棋在右 |
[44:06] | Your move. | 你先 |
[44:47] | Correcting course via Ship Channel Bank. | “修正航道 经过船舰湾” |
[44:54] | lf this is correct… Pilot relays position… | 如果资料是正确的 舵手重新调整位置 |
[45:00] | At 1.:48 a.m., SS West Corona made a corrective dogleg to the northwest. | 在凌晨1点48分 西冠轮 突然校正方向往西北方航行 |
[45:05] | Ship’s navigator took three insurance readings. | 领航员曾做了三次航道确认 |
[45:31] | Hey, Levant? | 嗨 罗文特 |
[45:36] | Here’s the shipping channel. | 这里就是船舰湾 |
[45:38] | Any freighter off course can dogleg back through here. | 偏离航道的货轮 可以经由这里掉头回来 |
[45:41] | But that only happens if we’re really socked in. | 不过 只有在起大雾时 才会出现这样的情况 |
[45:43] | Don’t the gill-netters work off this bank? | 那些流刺网渔船 不也在这区作业 |
[45:46] | Not even they’re crazy enough to hang around in a bad fog. | 除非他们发神经 继续在雾中捕鱼 |
[45:48] | They get out. | 否则他们必定赶紧离开 |
[45:51] | What’s this got to do with your snowstorm story? | 这跟你写暴风雨的故事有关吗? |
[45:54] | Nothing. Just curious, that’s all. | 没什么 只是觉得好奇罢了 |
[45:58] | Doesn’t make him guilty. | 那些证据并不能证明被告有罪 |
[46:00] | -This island ought to be ashamed. -lt’s not as simple as that. | -大家应该感到羞耻才对 -事情并非如此简单 |
[46:04] | I followed every second of it. The evidence sounds very solid. | 我一直在跟这件案子 罪证明确 |
[46:07] | This prosecutor has his facts all lined up. | 检察官也搜集了足够的证据 |
[46:10] | You haven’t heard the defense case yet. | 你还没听辩方的陈词呢 |
[46:13] | You sound as if you’re ready to hang him. | 听你的口气 好像已经打算判他死刑了 |
[46:17] | Besides, you can’t depend on facts, not by themselves. | 再说 你不能只相信表面的事实 |
[46:21] | What else is there? Emotions? | 不然要相信什么? 情感吗? |
[46:25] | Facts you can cling to. Emotions just float away. | 事实可以坚持 情感却会消逝 |
[46:30] | Then let them. | 既然如此 就该让它过去 |
[46:53] | l love you. | 我爱你 |
[47:02] | You smell like cedar. | 你身上散发着香柏的味道 |
[47:05] | So do you. | 你也是 |
[47:40] | I can hear your heart beating. | 我可以听到你的心跳 |
[47:47] | Dear lshmael… | 亲爱的伊士麦 |
[47:50] | l can’t think of anything more painful… | 写这封信给你 |
[47:53] | than writing this letter to you. | 是我做过最痛苦的决定 |
[47:56] | l feel l have to tell you the truth. | 但我觉得必须对你坦白 |
[48:29] | l know it’s late. l went by the lighthouse… | 我知道现在很晚了 我顺道经过灯塔 |
[48:31] | and l found a report that stated… | 找到一份报告 上面记载 |
[48:33] | Just came across some information. lt may be relevant to Kazuo’s case. | 只是无意间发现一些资料 可能跟一雄的案子有关 |
[48:37] | l went by the lighthouse and found a report that stated… | 我经过灯塔 找到一份报告 上面记载 |
[48:40] | a giant freighter passed through at the exact time that Carl died. | 事发时一艘巨型货轮 刚好通过该区 |
[48:43] | l think it’s something that should have been discussed. | 我认为辩方应该提这份报告 |
[48:50] | l love you. | 我爱你 |
[49:17] | Not just Hawaii. They’re attacking all over the Pacific. | 他们不只攻击夏威夷 更在太平洋区四处发动攻势 |
[49:21] | The whole fleet’s destroyed. | 整个舰队都被消灭 |
[49:25] | The FBI is in Seattle now, arresting Jap traitors. | 联邦调查局此刻正在西雅图 逮捕日裔卖国贼 |
[49:29] | Spies and everything. | 间谍 还有其他人 |
[49:32] | The defense commissioner reckons anything can happen. | 国防部长断定任何事都可能发生 |
[49:35] | There’ll be a blacklist. | 今晚将实施灯火管制 |
[49:38] | These people are our neighbors. | 这些人是我们邻居 |
[49:41] | Make sure you paper up your windows. | 确定要用纸遮住家中的窗户 |
[49:44] | So the Japs won’t find us. | 这样日本鬼子就不能找到我们 |
[49:46] | They’ve sent their sons to the United States Army. | 他们送自己的儿子参加美国陆军 |
[49:49] | They’re no more an enemy… | 跟岛上的德国后裔 和义大利后裔一样 |
[49:54] | than our fellow islanders of German or Italian descent. | 日裔居民并不是我们的敌人 |
[49:57] | -You get the message? -Mr. Lambertson? | -你们听懂了没 -蓝柏森先生 |
[50:03] | We get the message. | 我们听到了 |
[50:06] | Let us live that when it is over we can look each other in the eye… | 持平常心看待一切迨苦难结束 方得以坦荡胸襟面对彼此 |
[50:11] | and know that we have acted honorably. | 且知我等俯无愧于心 |
[50:23] | Set that for me, would you? | 帮我排版 好吗? |
[50:35] | Let us live… | 持平常心看待一切 |
[50:37] | that when it is over… | 迨苦难结束 |
[50:42] | we can look each other… | 方得以坦荡胸襟 |
[50:44] | in the eye… | 面对彼此 |
[50:48] | and know… | 且知 |
[50:50] | that we… | 我等 |
[50:52] | have acted… | 俯 |
[50:53] | honorably. | 无愧于心 |
[50:59] | The FBI has arrested Mr. Surosake… | 联邦调查局逮捕了白崎先生 |
[51:01] | and his family can’t leave their house. | 还限制他家人的行动自由 |
[51:06] | Everything will be all right. | 一切都会没事的 |
[51:09] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[51:34] | We are loyal. It’s for our defense. | 我们对美国政府绝无贰心 枪纯粹是为了自卫 |
[51:38] | Everyone on the island has these things. | 岛上的每个人都有这些东西的 |
[51:40] | They’ll hold on to this stuff for a little bit… | 有关当局只是暂时替你们保管 |
[51:42] | then ship it back to you… nothing to worry about. | 过一阵子就会寄还给你们 没什么好担心的 |
[51:47] | You folks have been real polite. | 各位一直很合作 |
[51:48] | Be out of your hair in just a second. | 再过一会我们就离开了 |
[51:51] | That’s very nice. From the old country, it appears. | 好细致的雕像 看起来是从日本带过来的 |
[51:56] | Very high-class. | 非常的高级 |
[52:01] | These are real nice things. | 这些东西真的十分精细 |
[52:07] | They’ll take special care of’em. | 当局一定会小心处理的 |
[52:13] | Any old-country stuff we have to take. | 来自日本的东西我们都必须没收 |
[52:37] | Strawberry Princess, huh? | 当选过草莓公主? |
[52:40] | You must’ve been flattered by that. | 你一定觉得受宠若惊吧! |
[52:44] | Hey, Crawford, guess what was in the shed. | 喂! 克劳福 你猜车棚里有什么 |
[52:47] | Dynamite. | 炸药 |
[52:48] | Twenty-four sticks. | 总共有24管 |
[52:52] | That’s for tree stumps… | 那是用来炸掉树桩 |
[52:53] | for clearing land. | 方便我们开垦土地 |
[52:55] | Maybe, but this is still bad, you see. | 就算如此 这样还是很不好 |
[52:58] | It’s illegal contraband. You’re supposed to turn that in. | 这是违禁品 你应该交给政府 |
[53:01] | Now we’ve gotta arrest you and bring you to Seattle. | 我们现在必须逮捕你 并把你带去西雅图 |
[53:03] | We don’t need those. | 不需要手铐 |
[53:05] | Mr. Imada-san is a class act, a real gentleman. | 金田先生是位洁身自爱的绅士 |
[53:08] | You can’t do this. He’s done nothing wrong. | 你们不能这么做 他又没犯法 |
[53:11] | Best for an honest man to clear his name, for good and all. | 这是他洗刷嫌疑 挽回名誉最好的方法 |
[53:16] | Excuse me, would you mind? | 对不起 能不能麻烦你? |
[53:57] | -Journalism is the facts. -Which facts? | 新闻就是报导事实 哪一些事实? |
[53:59] | You can’t print them all. Journalism is making choices. | 必须有选择性 不能刊登一切 |
[54:03] | Culling out what’s unimportant. | 剔除不重要的 |
[54:06] | You know what happens to Jap lovers? | 你知道同情小日本的下场吗? |
[54:08] | Jap lovers get their balls cut off and shoved down their throats. | 同情者会被人割掉生殖器官 |
[54:17] | Better watch your step. | 你最好小心一点 |
[54:24] | It’s unbelievable to me. | 我真不敢相信 |
[54:26] | I don’t know, Mom. The PTA honors 23 women. | 妈 我不懂 “家长教师协会”表扬23位女性 |
[54:28] | Dad singles out three names and they’re allJapanese. | 爸选了三个人报导 偏偏她们都是日本人 |
[54:31] | That’s not journalism. It’s propaganda. | 那不叫报导事实 那叫宣传 |
[54:33] | -This is dangerous, Arthur. -It’ll blow over. | -亚瑟 这样做太危险了 -过一阵就会没事的 |
[54:36] | Did you see the letters? | 你看了这些信吗? |
[54:42] | “Seems like you’re favoring the Japs, Art. | 亚瑟 看样子 你喜欢偏袒小日本 |
[54:45] | Your newspaper’s an insult to all white Americans. | 你的报纸对所有美国人来说 是一大侮辱 |
[54:48] | -Please cancel my subscription.” -What are you gonna do? | -请取消我的订阅 -你打算怎么办? |
[54:51] | Send him a refund. | 把钱退给他 |
[54:55] | What happened to the Petersen ad I put together? | 为什么没看到 我编辑的那个广告? |
[54:58] | -They pulled out. -So did the gas station. | -他们把广告抽掉了 -加油站也一样 |
[55:02] | And Larsen, and the cafe. | 另外还有拉森跟一家餐厅 |
[55:06] | What now? | 现在怎么办 |
[55:15] | Print four pages instead of eight. | 不用印八页 印四页就好 |
[55:43] | “Please tell Somiko to help her mother with the garden work. | 提醒染子帮妈妈整理花园 |
[55:50] | We are digging trenches for a water system. | 我们正在替供水系统挖水沟 |
[55:59] | I am folding and ironing clothing in the laundry.” | 我在洗衣房帮忙折衣服 烫衣服 |
[56:04] | The hikujin, they are no better than animals! | 那些白人 简直禽兽不如 |
[56:07] | Not all of them. | 不要以偏慨全 |
[56:12] | How would you know? | 你怎么晓得 |
[56:15] | Because l live here among them. So do you! | 因为你 我跟他们一样 都住在这个岛上 |
[56:19] | You speak with great assurance. | 你讲话好大的口气 |
[56:21] | -The words fly from your mouth. -I don’t care what you say. | -如此的口没遮拦 -我不在乎你怎么说 |
[56:25] | Do you hear me? I don’t want to be Japanese! | 你明不明白? 我不想做日本人 |
[56:36] | Marry me, Hatsue. | 嫁给我 初枝 |
[56:43] | Please say yes. | 请你答应我 |
[56:45] | We’ll leave here. | 我们一起离开这 |
[56:47] | Are you crazy? | 你疯了? |
[56:50] | I want you to marry me. | 我要你嫁给我 |
[1:03:45] | O’er the ramparts we watched | 我们在城墙上观看 |
[1:03:49] | Were so gallantly streaming | 川流不息是如此壮丽 |
[1:03:53] | And the rockets’… | 而那火箭… |
[1:05:01] | So, Dr. Whitman, sir, you found… | 惠特曼医生 您发现… |
[1:05:05] | blood on the gaff. | 鱼叉上染有血迹 |
[1:05:08] | It was not fish blood at all. | 不过不是鱼血 |
[1:05:11] | It was human, yes? | 而是人血 对吗? |
[1:05:15] | -Type “B” positive. -Carl Heine’s type. | -是B型阳性 -和卡尔海恩的血型吻合 |
[1:05:18] | Yes, but you can’t say with any certainty that the blood was his. | 可是你无法断定 血迹就是死者的 |
[1:05:23] | No, but as I say… | 没错 但我说过… |
[1:05:24] | the type is rare. | 这类血型极为罕见 |
[1:05:27] | Ten percent of Caucasian males. Whereas the defendant is type “O.” | 只有10%的白种男性是B型阳性 而被告则是O型 |
[1:05:32] | Yes, sir, you told us. No one is contesting that. | 是的 您已经讲过了 没有人会有任何质疑 |
[1:05:36] | But you also told us that you scraped the dry blood… | 另外 您之前也提过 从鱼叉柄上… |
[1:05:39] | from the handle of the… | 刮下凝固的血液 |
[1:05:42] | An object was propelled against… | 硬器是… |
[1:05:55] | The State calls Mrs. Susan Marie Heine. | 控方传讯苏珊玛莉海恩太太 |
[1:06:28] | Can you think back for me to the morning of September 8? | 能否请你回想九月八号那天早上 |
[1:06:32] | The morning after your husband… | 那天早上在你丈夫… |
[1:06:36] | purchased the Jurgenson farm. | 遇害前一个礼拜 |
[1:06:41] | One week before his death. | 他买下了杰金生的农场 |
[1:07:29] | Did the defendant come calling that day… | 被告那天是否曾到你家 |
[1:07:32] | to speak to your husband? | 要求跟你先生谈话 |
[1:07:46] | lt’s no big deal. | 没什么重要的事 |
[1:07:49] | It’s a long story. | 说来话长 |
[1:07:52] | He wants to buy seven of Ole’s acres. | 杰金生家的地 他想买其中七亩 |
[1:07:55] | The ones his family had. | 就是原来他家那块 |
[1:07:58] | You know that thing my mother talks about? | 你晓得 我妈常提的那件陈年往事 |
[1:08:01] | Had a feeling it was that. What did you tell him? | 我早就猜到了 你怎么回答他的 |
[1:08:04] | What could I tell him? There’s my mother to think about. | 我还能说什么 我得顾虑到我妈 |
[1:08:06] | -You know her. -Uh-huh. | -你也知道她 -我晓得 |
[1:08:10] | I said I’d think it over, and have a talk with you. | 我答应他仔细考虑 同时要跟你商量一下 |
[1:08:15] | He go away angry? | 他离开的时候愤怒吗? |
[1:08:19] | I couldn’t tell. Kazuo’s a Jap. You can’t read Japs. | 我看不出来 一雄是个小日本 不可能了解他们 |
[1:08:22] | Don’t say that. You don’t mean that. | 别这样说 你不是真的这么想 |
[1:08:25] | You fished together. You and he were friends. | 你们一块捕鱼 你们是朋友啊 |
[1:08:30] | We were kids then. | 那时候我们还小 |
[1:08:55] | So your husband said he’d think it over. | 所以你丈夫说他会考虑 |
[1:08:58] | He encouraged Mr. Miyamoto to believe he might… | 他鼓励宫本先生相信他有可能… |
[1:09:02] | I… | 我… |
[1:09:03] | Well, I wouldn’t say encouraged. | 我不认为那是鼓励 |
[1:09:07] | But he didn’t say no, did he? | 可是他没有直接拒绝被告 |
[1:09:09] | He didn’t say no hope existed. | 他并没有说毫无希望 |
[1:09:12] | Not in those words. | 是没有 |
[1:09:15] | So, the defendant was encouraged to hope. | 所以被告受到鼓励去盼望 |
[1:09:23] | How could anyone know what he hopes for or anything else he’s thinking? | 没有人会知道他在盼望什么 或是他心中真正的想法 |
[1:09:29] | But, Mrs. Heine. | 但是 海恩太太 |
[1:09:33] | -You really think that’s fair? -Objection! | -你觉得这样说公平吗? -反对 |
[1:09:35] | -That’s totally irrelevant. -There’s nothing more relevant! | -辩方问题与本案无关 -这种心态才是本案的关键 |
[1:09:39] | -You know that as well as anybody. -Your Honor. | -大家心里有数 -法官大人 |
[1:09:41] | Gentlemen, please! Back to your corners. | 两位 拜托 回你们的床座位去 |
[1:09:43] | Mrs. Heine, I’m very sorry for this little interruption. | 海恩太太 很抱歉出现这样的场面 |
[1:09:49] | No further questions. | 我问完了 |
[1:09:51] | Thank you, Mrs. Heine. You may step down. | 谢谢你 海恩太太 你可以离开证人席了 |
[1:09:57] | The State rests, Your Honor. | 庭上 控方传唤证人完毕 |
[1:10:01] | Very well. Mr. Gudmundsson, the defense may call its first witness. | 很好 现在辩方 可以传唤第一位证人 |
[1:10:07] | The defense calls Mrs. Hatsue Miyamoto. | 辩方传唤宫本初枝 |
[1:10:24] | My husband came home excited. | 我丈夫兴奋的回来 |
[1:10:28] | He woke me with the news. | 他叫醒我 告诉我这个消息 |
[1:10:30] | He told me he helped Carl at sea. | 他告诉我 他在海上帮了卡尔 |
[1:10:34] | And Carl had agreed to sell us the land. | 而卡尔也同意把地卖给我们了 |
[1:10:39] | We started making plans right away. | 我们立刻开始计划未来 |
[1:10:44] | When did you first learn that Carl Heine had drowned? | 你是何时得知卡尔溺毙的消息 |
[1:10:52] | 1:00 that afternoon… | 那天下午 |
[1:10:55] | from a clerk at Petersen’s. | 从彼德森的一个职员那儿 |
[1:11:01] | Kazuo? Kazuo? | 一雄 一雄 |
[1:11:06] | -What is it? -Carl Heine’s dead. | -干嘛? -卡尔海恩死了 |
[1:11:08] | It’s all over the island. | 全岛都在传这个消息 |
[1:11:11] | -What do you mean? -He drowned. | -你说什么? -他淹死了 |
[1:11:14] | They found him in his net. | 警方在他的渔网中找到他 |
[1:11:16] | His poor wife and those kids. | 他的太太跟小孩真可怜 |
[1:11:18] | I can’t believe it. How horrible. | 我不敢相信 实在太可怕了 |
[1:11:28] | Gotta get to the boat, replace that battery. | 我得去船上一趟 把电瓶换下来 |
[1:11:30] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么啊 |
[1:11:32] | I was on his boat last night, remember? | 记得吗? 昨晚我在他的船上 |
[1:11:35] | Yeah, but you were helping him. Tell the sheriff. | 记得 可是你是去帮忙他 告诉警长 |
[1:11:37] | Are you kidding? You think they’re gonna believe me? | 开什么玩笑! 你想他们会相信我? |
[1:11:41] | It’s the truth, isn’t it? | 但这是事实啊! |
[1:11:43] | That’s right. Let’s just leave it at that. | 是没错 我们暂时先别讨论这个问题 |
[1:11:52] | So, your husband came home agitated… | 所以你丈夫激动的回到家 |
[1:11:57] | after his encounter at sea with the deceased? | 在他海上巧遇死者之后 |
[1:12:01] | I said “excited,” not “agitated.” | 我说过是兴奋 不是激动 |
[1:12:05] | He was excited in the sense of being overjoyed. | 他当时整个人欣喜若狂 |
[1:12:08] | You were… | 那你… |
[1:12:10] | overjoyed yourself to hear the news? | 是不是一样欣喜若狂呢? |
[1:12:15] | Happy for him, and relieved. | 我替他高兴 更松了一口气 |
[1:12:19] | So then you and your husband, you must’ve called… | 那之后你和你先生一定有打电话 |
[1:12:23] | well, friends and relatives… | 通知亲朋好友之类的 |
[1:12:26] | to tell them the happy news, yes? | 告诉他们这个好消息 对吧? |
[1:12:28] | No. | 没有 |
[1:12:32] | Really? | 真的? |
[1:12:37] | You didn’t call your mother, your sisters about starting a new life? | 你没有通知你的母亲 姊妹 关于往后的新生活 |
[1:12:39] | Your husband never tells his family the family honor’s been vindicated? | 你丈夫也没有告诉他家人 已经取回了家产 |
[1:12:44] | No. | 没有 |
[1:12:46] | We decided not to tell anyone… | 我们决定暂时保密 |
[1:12:49] | until we signed papers in case something went wrong. | 等到土地过户之后再说 免得临时出状况 |
[1:12:56] | Then something did. | 后来真的出了状况 |
[1:12:59] | Carl Heine was found dead… | 卡尔被人发现 |
[1:13:03] | with his head crushed. | 死于头骨碎裂 |
[1:13:05] | Yes. And then, what was there to call about? | 是的 既然如此 打电话又有什么用? |
[1:13:10] | Everything was up in the air. | 一切都是未知数 |
[1:13:15] | “Up in the air.” Was that your reaction? | 未知数 那就是你的反应吗? |
[1:13:20] | So, apart from your concern about a land deal evaporating… | 所以 除了关心 这笔土地交易告吹之外 |
[1:13:24] | what was your reaction… | 你对于死者 |
[1:13:25] | to the news that a husband and father to small children was dead… | 头部遭重击惨死 留下妻子跟年幼的小孩 |
[1:13:31] | with his skull bashed in? | 又有何感想? |
[1:13:33] | If you mean to imply that we didn’t care about Carl’s death… | 如果你是想藉此暗示 我们不关心卡尔的死 |
[1:13:37] | that is wrong and insulting. | 这是种侮辱人的看法 |
[1:13:41] | I see. I see. Then did it occur to you to come forward… | 我了解了 当时你们是否想过 |
[1:13:46] | and tell Sheriff Moran what you knew about this encounter in the fog? | 像莫伦警长坦白 在海上碰面的经过 |
[1:13:49] | The dead battery, was it? | 跟坏电瓶有关? |
[1:13:53] | We discussed that, and decided not to. | 我们讨论过后决定不要说出来 |
[1:13:58] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[1:14:01] | Because things looked bad. Very bad! | 因为现实的环境对我们非常不利 |
[1:14:06] | Kazuo and I knew that. | 一雄和我都知道 |
[1:14:08] | We thought he could end up here on trial for murder. | 我们认为警长可能以谋杀罪名起诉他 |
[1:14:12] | And that’s exactly what has happened. | 现在的情况已经证明了一切 |
[1:14:18] | But if truth was on your side, whatever were you worried about? | 但只要你有理就没必要担心啊? |
[1:14:24] | Trials aren’t only about truth, Mr. Hooks… | 霍克先生 审判的目的 并非只为了寻求真理 |
[1:14:29] | even though they should be. | 虽然它本该如此 |
[1:14:31] | So you hid the truth deliberately. You lied, didn’t you? | 因此你故意隐瞒真相 你说谎 对不对 |
[1:14:35] | We were afraid to come forward. Seemed like a mistake. | 我们不敢坦白是怕会弄巧成拙 |
[1:14:37] | Doesn’t it seem to you that your mistake was in being deceitful… | 难道你不觉得自己不应该 |
[1:14:40] | and deliberately concealing information… | 在警方进行调查时 |
[1:14:43] | during the course of a sheriff’s investigation? | 说谎并隐瞒资料? |
[1:14:48] | It seems human to me. | 我认为这是人之常情 |
[1:14:52] | I suppose you mean that somehow excuses your lies? | 换言之 你认为你是情有可原 |
[1:15:02] | I don’t know, Mrs. Miyamoto. | 宫本太太 我不明白 |
[1:15:04] | I just… | 我实在是… |
[1:15:07] | I don’t understand. I’m completely at a loss. | 我实在是完全没办法了解 |
[1:15:11] | How on earth can you expect any of us to believe you now? | 你要我们如何相信你呢? |
[1:15:15] | Question withdrawn, Your Honor. | 庭上 我收回这个问题 |
[1:15:18] | Wait a minute! I haven’t had a chance. | 等一下! 我还没有机会解释 |
[1:15:20] | No further questions. | 没有别的问题了 |
[1:15:22] | That’s enough, Mrs. Miyamoto. Not another word. | 宫本太太 够了 别再多说一个字 |
[1:15:27] | The fact that you wish to give Mr. Hooks a piece of your mind… | 本庭无法准许你继续反驳 霍克先生的问题 |
[1:15:32] | that just isn’t allowed, Mrs. Miyamoto. | 明白了吗 |
[1:15:36] | Very well. Mr. Gudmundsson, will you redirect… | 辩方律师是否要… |
[1:15:42] | Under the circumstances, we will adjourn early. | 由于目前的情况 今天提早休庭 |
[1:15:46] | 9:30 tomorrow. | 明早九点半开庭 |
[1:17:29] | This is a very fine car. | 这是辆非常好的车 |
[1:17:31] | Much better than the new ones. | 比新款的车还要好 |
[1:17:34] | Well, it was my father’s. | 这是我父亲的车 |
[1:17:37] | He was a good man. | 他是个好人 |
[1:17:42] | I know it’s caused you trouble, but the snow’s beautiful, isn’t it? | 我知道大雪害你车子抛锚 不过雪景真的是很美 |
[1:17:48] | Yes, very beautiful. | 是的 非常漂亮 |
[1:17:57] | This trial is unfair. | 这场审判根本就不公平 |
[1:17:59] | Your father would have written about that in his paper. | 你父亲要是在的话 一定会对此发表意见的 |
[1:18:03] | What would he have said? | 他会写些什么呢? |
[1:18:06] | How this trial is wrong! | 审判有多么的不公平 |
[1:18:07] | The whole thing is unfair! | 整件事一点都不公平 |
[1:18:10] | Sometimes I think unfairness… | 有时候我认为不公平 |
[1:18:13] | is a part of things. | 本来就是人生的一部分 |
[1:18:17] | I’m not talking about the whole universe. | 我又不是在说这整个世界 |
[1:18:20] | I’m talking about people. The coroner, that prosecutor. | 我是在说人 验尸官还有那个检察官 |
[1:18:26] | You! You could do something to help. | 你啊! 你可以想办法帮忙的 |
[1:18:30] | Is that what you think? | 你真的这么认为 |
[1:18:35] | Maybe I should write an article. | 或许我该写篇文章 |
[1:18:39] | About unfairness. | 内容跟不公平有关 |
[1:18:43] | About all the unfair things people do to each other. | 描述人与人之间 是如何不公平的相互对待 |
[1:20:49] | Excuse me, Mrs. Chambers. | 对不起 臣伯斯太太 |
[1:20:52] | The Japanese people of the island are saddened by this loss. | 岛上的日裔居民 对您先生过世都深感哀痛 |
[1:20:57] | Your husband was a man of great fairness and compassion for others. | 您丈夫生前 是位正直 慈悲的人 |
[1:21:02] | A friend to us and to all people. | 他是我们大家的朋友 |
[1:21:05] | We know you will follow in his footsteps, Ishmael… | 伊士麦 我们知道 你会继承你父亲的遗志 |
[1:21:09] | and honor his legacy. | 让他以你为荣 |
[1:21:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[1:21:44] | You should stay the night. | 你今晚应该留下来过夜 |
[1:21:47] | -Don’t drive back through this. -I’ve got an early start. | -这种天气开车太危险了 -我明天必须很早起床 |
[1:21:59] | This room is full of ghosts, isn’t it? | 觉不觉得这个房间充满了回忆 |
[1:22:05] | I hate to see you this way. | 我不喜欢看到你这样 |
[1:22:09] | I don’t know what you mean. | 我不晓得你在说什么 |
[1:22:11] | She’s married, Ishmael. | 伊士麦 她已经有先生了 |
[1:22:19] | Look, it’s awfully cold in here. Let’s talk in the kitchen. | 我们何不到厨房聊天 这里冷的要命 |
[1:22:23] | I don’t wanna talk about anything. | 我什么事都不想谈 |
[1:22:26] | You’re just like your father. | 你好像你爸… |
[1:22:28] | I’m not just like my father! I know everyone wishes I was. | 我根本就不像 虽然每个人都希望我是他 |
[1:22:31] | Whenever they look at me, I hear them thinking… | 每当他们看着我时 我听到他们心里在说 |
[1:22:33] | “He’s only half the man his father was.” | 跟他父亲相比 他只有他一半的优点 |
[1:22:38] | I was only going to say he never minded the cold. | 我只是要说 你父亲从不怕天气冷 |
[1:22:48] | It’s not such a terrible thing… | 身为他的儿子 |
[1:22:52] | being your father’s son. | 并不是那么糟糕的一件事 |
[1:24:55] | Well organized rhythm, as the men of the dance band… | 节奏条理分明 接下来要继续播放的… |
[1:24:57] | take over and start the air jumping to the tune of “My Blue Heaven. “ | 是这个舞曲乐团的轻快旋律 “我的蓝色天空” |
[1:25:23] | Pardon us, Your Majesty. | 女王陛下 请原谅我们 |
[1:25:29] | Who’s your lover boy? | 谁是你的情人啊? |
[1:25:33] | Give it back! | 还给我 |
[1:25:52] | Does this explain your eagerness to walk in the woods every day? | 这是不是你每天渴望走进树林的原因 |
[1:26:00] | Does it? | 是不是? |
[1:26:02] | Answer me! | 回答我! |
[1:26:25] | “Dear Ishmael… | 亲爱的伊士麦 |
[1:26:29] | I can’t think of anything more painful… | 写这封信给你 |
[1:26:32] | than writing this letter to you. | 是我做过最痛苦的决定 |
[1:26:36] | l feel l have to tell you the truth. | 但我觉得必须对你坦白 |
[1:26:41] | When we met the last time in the cedar tree… | 最后一次我们在香杉树内碰面 |
[1:26:45] | and l felt your body move against mine… | 感觉你在我的身上缓缓的移动 |
[1:26:48] | When we met the last time in the cedar tree… | 最后一次我们在香杉树内碰面 |
[1:26:52] | and I felt your body move against mine… | 感觉你在我的身上缓缓的移动 |
[1:26:56] | I knew with certainty… | 我终于明白… |
[1:27:00] | that everything was wrong. | 每件事都是错的 |
[1:27:03] | I knew we could never be right together… | 我了解 我们永远都不可能在一起 |
[1:27:06] | and that soon I would have to tell you so. | 而我迟早都得告诉你 |
[1:27:11] | And now, with this letter… | 现在 藉着这封信 |
[1:27:16] | l am telling you. | 我要你知道 |
[1:27:32] | This is the last time l’ll write to you. | 这将是我写给你的最后一封信 |
[1:27:37] | l’m not yours anymore. | 我不再属于你 |
[1:27:42] | l don’t love you, lshmael. | 伊士麦 我不爱你 |
[1:27:46] | l can think of no more honest way to say it. | 我想不出更诚实的方法来表达 |
[1:27:51] | When l heard your heart beating… | 当我们一块躺着… |
[1:27:54] | as we lay together… | 听着你的心跳声… |
[1:27:56] | l felt closer to you than l had ever been to anyone. | 我感觉到你是我最亲近的人 |
[1:28:03] | And l knew… | 而我终于… |
[1:28:05] | when l heard your heart beating. | 当我听着你的心跳声 |
[1:28:09] | This is the last time l’ll ever write to you. | 这将是我写给你的最后一封信 |
[1:28:12] | l knew with certainty… | 我终于明白… |
[1:28:14] | that everything was wrong. | 每件事都是错的 |
[1:28:17] | l loved you. | 我爱你 |
[1:28:19] | And l didn’t love you at the same moment. | 但同时我又不爱你 |
[1:28:25] | l can think of no more honest way to say it. | 我想不出更诚实的方法来表达 |
[1:28:32] | l don’t love you, lshmael. | 伊士麦 我不爱你 |
[1:28:35] | l knew it. | 我知道 |
[1:28:37] | l can think of no more honest way to say it. l loved you. | 我想不出更诚实的方法来表达 我爱你 |
[1:28:42] | And I didn’t love you at the same moment. | 但同时我又不爱你 |
[1:28:49] | l’m going to move on with my life… | 我将尽力追寻… |
[1:28:51] | as best l can. | 我的新生活 |
[1:28:55] | And l hope that you will too. | 希望你也一样 |
[1:29:05] | l don’t love you, lshmael. | 伊士麦 我不爱你 |
[1:29:10] | l can think of no more honest way to say it. | 我想不出更诚实的方法来表达 |
[1:29:13] | Whenever we were together, l knew it. | 当我们在一起的时候 我知道 |
[1:29:24] | l loved you. | 我爱你 |
[1:29:26] | And l didn’t love you at the same moment. | 但同时我又不爱你 |
[1:30:24] | You must have. | 你必须… |
[1:30:34] | l must say good-bye to you. | 我必须跟你说再见 |
[1:30:41] | l know you will do great things in this world. | 我知道你会有所成就 |
[1:30:47] | You have a gentle heart. | 你有一颗仁慈的心 |
[1:30:52] | A good heart. | 一颗善良的心 |
[1:30:57] | l will never forget you… | 我永远都不会忘记你 |
[1:31:02] | and the time we spent together.” | 还有我们共度的时光 |
[1:31:15] | Scissors. | 剪刀 |
[1:31:20] | Retractor. | 牵引器 |
[1:31:24] | A clamp. | 夹子 |
[1:31:26] | Fuckin’Jap bitch. | 该死的日本婊子 |
[1:32:36] | -Are they gonna send you to Europe? -I think so. | -他们会派你到欧洲吗? -我想会吧! |
[1:32:39] | Why did you have to volunteer? | 你为什么要自愿当兵呢? |
[1:32:55] | They’ll hear everything. | 他们会听到的 |
[1:32:58] | Wouldn’t some music be nice? | 要是有音乐多好 |
[1:33:59] | Have you ever done this before? | 你以前有经验吗? |
[1:34:01] | Never. | 从来没有 |
[1:34:03] | You’re my only. | 你是唯一的一个 |
[1:34:39] | Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth… | 你愿意在上帝面前发誓 |
[1:34:41] | and nothing but the truth, so help you God? | 所说句句属实 绝无半句虚假 |
[1:34:44] | I do. | 我发誓 |
[1:34:45] | l heard an air horn and saw a lantern in the fog. | 我听到号角声 而且看到雾里有灯火 |
[1:34:49] | -Is that you, Miyamoto? -And another one in Carl’s hand. | -是宫本吗? -卡尔手中还提了另一盏灯笼 |
[1:34:52] | What’s up, Carl? | 怎么回事 卡尔? |
[1:34:54] | Both my batteries are drawed down. The generator belts were loose. | 船上两个电瓶都用光 发电器的皮带也松了 |
[1:35:00] | Lantern and air horn’s all I got. I’m dead here. | 只剩下灯笼跟号角能用 这下惨了 |
[1:35:04] | No problem. | 不用担心 |
[1:35:07] | We’ll pull one of my batteries and get you started. | 先从我船上拔一个电瓶出来 帮你发动 |
[1:35:11] | That thing’s big, but it’ll fit if I bang the flange out of the way. | 你的电瓶比较大 如果把边边敲掉 应该放的下 |
[1:35:15] | We can use this to hammer with. | 我们可以用这个来敲 |
[1:35:18] | I cannot imagine why you kept this story from the sheriff. | 我不能想像你居然没有 告诉警长这件事 |
[1:35:21] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:35:23] | I didn’t have a lawyer. | 我没有律师 |
[1:35:25] | Even after you had an attorney, you still claimed to know nothing. | 甚至在有了律师之后 你仍旧声称自己毫不知情 |
[1:35:28] | You claim not to have seen Carl. | 你宣称没有看到卡尔 |
[1:35:30] | -Am I correct? -Yes, initially. | -我说的对不对? -没错 最初是如此 |
[1:35:34] | Well. | 嗯! |
[1:35:36] | “Initially.” That’s an interesting word. You’d been arrested. | 最初? 这个回答很有趣 你已经被逮捕 |
[1:35:41] | You had a lawyer. You still claimed ignorance. | 也有了律师 可是你仍旧声称不知情 |
[1:35:44] | I should’ve told everything right away. I wouldn’t be here if I had. | 我当时应该说出一切 那么现在就不会在这里了 |
[1:35:47] | “Should’ve told everything.” | 应该说出一切 |
[1:35:49] | Meaning you should’ve told the truth. | 意思是你应该说出实情 |
[1:35:54] | But is that the truth? The whole truth? | 但那真的是事实吗? 全部的事实 |
[1:35:57] | ls it? | 是吗? |
[1:36:00] | You don’t wanna hear the whole truth. | 你不会想听的 |
[1:36:02] | Why don’t you try me? | 何不试着告诉我呢? |
[1:36:09] | The whole truth is, I wanted to kill him. | 事实就是 我想杀了他 |
[1:36:14] | But did you? | 但你有做吗? |
[1:36:24] | Nothing to say? | 无话可说? |
[1:36:55] | It’ll take me a while to charge up. | 我需要点时间充电 |
[1:36:59] | We’ll catch up on the dock. | 那待会儿码头见 |
[1:37:01] | Nothing to say? | 无话可说? |
[1:37:04] | -I didn’t know that was a question. -Oh, my apologies. | -我不知道哪个才是你的问题 -抱歉 |
[1:37:08] | -You regret not telling the truth? -I have told the truth. | -你后悔没说实话吗? -我说的是事实 |
[1:37:11] | You mean this morning. The battery story. That one is the truth? | 你是指今早关于电瓶的故事 那就是事实? |
[1:37:14] | -That’s a question, sir. -Yes. | -请你回答我的问题 -是的 |
[1:37:17] | And I told it long before this morning. | 而且在今天早上之前我就说过了 |
[1:37:20] | You said in your testimony that… | 你的证词中说… |
[1:37:24] | “I slept until 1:30 when my wife woke me with the news. | 睡到下午1点半 被太太摇醒 她告诉我这个消息 |
[1:37:28] | We talked for a while, then I went straight to my boat.” | 你们谈了一会儿 跟着你就直接去船上 |
[1:37:33] | You didn’t go anywhere else. Just straight to your boat. | 你哪儿都没去? 只是直接去你船上 |
[1:37:35] | -Is that the truth? -Yes. | -那是实话吗? -是 |
[1:37:37] | Well, the sheriff found two batteries in your well. | 警长在你的电池槽里 找到两个电瓶 |
[1:37:42] | If, as you claim, you left one with Carl. | 如果照你所说 留了一个电瓶给卡尔 |
[1:37:45] | -How’s that possible? -I had a spare battery in my shed. | -那怎么可能呢? -我车棚里有一个备用电瓶 |
[1:37:49] | I brought it down and put it in just before the sheriff showed up. | 我带到船上 刚放进去 警长就出现了 |
[1:37:52] | Conveniently, in your shed. | 在你车棚里? 多方便啊 |
[1:37:56] | Why does the battery story change every time a new question’s raised? | 为什么问题不同 你的电瓶故事内容也不一样 |
[1:37:59] | You asked me if I went straight to the boat. I did, with the battery. | 你问我是否直接去船上 我确实是 而且带着电瓶 |
[1:38:03] | And the new line too? Was that in your shed? | 还带了新的绳索? 也是放在车棚里 |
[1:38:05] | You have a regular chandlery in there? | 你车棚里是不是有家杂货店 |
[1:38:08] | When you have no answer, you sit in silence with no expression? | 当你无话可说时 你只是面无表情的坐着? |
[1:38:11] | You’re a hard man to trust, sir. | 你实在很难让人信任 |
[1:38:14] | Objection! | 反对! |
[1:38:15] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[1:38:17] | You know better than that. | 你应该很清楚 |
[1:38:19] | Either ask questions that count for something or sit down. | 不是问跟案子有关的问题 就是回去坐下 |
[1:38:29] | Shame on you. | 你真是可耻 |
[1:38:35] | No further questions. | 我问完了 |
[1:38:45] | Believing that Etta Heine’s son… | 认为艾达海恩的儿子 |
[1:38:49] | would never sell him the land… | 永远不会把地卖给他 |
[1:38:51] | land that in his mind, belonged to his family… | 在他的幻想中 那块地属于他家 |
[1:38:56] | his only chance to get that land would be to eliminate Carl Heine. | 想得到土地 唯一的机会 就是杀了卡尔海恩 |
[1:39:01] | Thus believing that cold-blooded murder… | 因此相信冷血的谋杀是正当的 |
[1:39:05] | was justified, he trailed Carl Heine… | 他跟踪卡尔海恩 |
[1:39:07] | Left before striking the treacherous blow… | 跳上船 挥出致命的一击 |
[1:39:10] | he had been trained to strike by his father’s hand. | 他父亲曾亲自训练他攻击 |
[1:39:13] | After a series of lies, the defendant at last… | 在一连串的谎话后 被告终于… |
[1:39:17] | admits he was there, alone on the boat, in the fog. | 承认当时在现场 大雾中 一个人在船上 |
[1:39:23] | Carl Heine’s blood on his fishing gaff. | 他的鱼叉上 沾有卡尔海恩的血迹 |
[1:39:27] | Seven acres. | 七亩 |
[1:39:30] | I just wonder what you’d pay for ’em.Just curious, is all. | 只是好奇而已 我想知道你愿意付多少钱买 |
[1:39:35] | -What are you selling ’em for? -Did I say I was sellin’? | -你要卖多少? -我说过要卖吗? |
[1:39:38] | If I was, I guess I’d have to figure you want ’em real bad. | 如果要卖 我必须先假定你非常想买 |
[1:39:41] | I ought to charge a small fortune, maybe. | 也许我该收一大笔钱 |
[1:39:55] | All right, I’m sorry about it, okay? | 我对过去发生的事感到抱歉 |
[1:39:58] | About the whole damn mess. | 还有这复杂的局面 |
[1:40:04] | Twelve hundred an acre. | 一亩1千2百块 |
[1:40:10] | That’s what I paid Ole. You got no choice on that. | 你没有别的选择 那是我买回来的价钱 |
[1:40:15] | We’ll sign off tomorrow. | 我们明天签字成交 |
[1:40:17] | Look clearly at the defendant. | 看清楚被告 |
[1:40:20] | See the truth self-evident in him… | 真相在他身上不证自明 |
[1:40:24] | and in the facts of this case. | 真相在本案的罪行中 |
[1:40:27] | Look into his eyes, ladies and gentlemen. | 各位先生 女士 盯着他的眼睛 |
[1:40:32] | Consider his face. | 注意他的脸 |
[1:40:35] | Ask yourself… | 你们每一个人 |
[1:40:41] | each one of you… | 扪心自问 |
[1:40:47] | “What is my duty as a citizen of this community? | 我的义务为何? 身为社区的公民时 |
[1:40:53] | Of this country? | 身为国家的公民时 |
[1:40:58] | As an American?” | 身为一个美国人时 |
[1:41:19] | There’s no evidence of anger at Carl… | 死者身上没有愤怒的痕迹 |
[1:41:22] | or much less rage, or much less murderous rage. | 也就是说 很少狂怒的迹象 换言之 很少狂怒行凶的迹象 |
[1:41:27] | No reason for premeditation. | 没有理由预谋行凶 |
[1:41:30] | No evidence of it anywhere. | 完全找不到证据 |
[1:41:34] | He had asked his childhood friend Carl to sell him some land. | 他要求童年时的朋友卡尔卖地给他 |
[1:41:39] | Carl was considering it. Carl’s own wife testified… | 卡尔正在考虑 卡尔的妻子证明 |
[1:41:43] | that her husband had not made up his mind. | 她的丈夫尚未做出决定 |
[1:41:47] | A strange moment to follow and kill a man. | 被告没有理由选择在此时 跟踪并且杀害死者 |
[1:41:52] | Don’t you think? | 你们同意吗? |
[1:41:53] | What Mr. Hooks asks you to believe is that no proof is needed… | 霍克先生要求各位相信 反对一个轰炸珍珠港的人 |
[1:41:58] | against a man who bombed Pearl Harbor. | 是不需要任何证据的 |
[1:42:04] | “Look at his face,” the prosecutor said… | 检察官说 看他的脸 |
[1:42:07] | presuming that you will see an enemy there. | 假设你们会将被告看成敌人 |
[1:42:10] | He’s counting on you to remember this war… | 他寄望你们记得这场争 |
[1:42:14] | and to see Kazuo Miyamoto… | 并且认定宫本一雄 |
[1:42:16] | as somehow connected with it. | 跟这场争有关 |
[1:42:21] | Indeed he is! | 他确实是! |
[1:42:23] | Let us recall that First Lieutenant Kazuo Miyamoto… | 我们不要忘了 第一 中尉宫本一雄 |
[1:42:26] | is a much decorated hero of the United States Army. | 是位获得美国陆军勋章的英雄 |
[1:42:31] | Now… | 现在… |
[1:42:34] | Kazuo Miyamoto did one thing wrong. | 宫本一雄做错了一件事 |
[1:42:40] | He wasn’t certain he could trust us. | 他不能确定是否能信任我们 |
[1:42:42] | He was afraid that he would be made the victim of prejudice… | 他害怕自己会变成 偏见的受害人 |
[1:42:46] | as Mr. Hooks, indeed… | 确实 霍克先生 |
[1:42:49] | is urging you to do. | 也强烈要求各位如此做 |
[1:42:51] | And there’s reason in his uncertainty. | 而他的不确定也是情有可原 |
[1:42:55] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:42:57] | Well, we sent him and his wife… | 因为我们遣送他的妻子 |
[1:42:59] | and thousands of Americans to concentration camps. | 跟其他数千名日裔美国人到集中营 |
[1:43:04] | They lost their homes, their belongings, everything! | 他们失去了自己的家 财产和所有的东西 |
[1:43:09] | Should we now be unforgiving of his mistrust? | 我们怎能不原谅 他的缺乏信心呢? |
[1:43:17] | Now… | 现在… |
[1:43:20] | our learned prosecutor will have you do your duty as Americans. | 我们博学的检察官 将要各位履行身为美国人的义务 |
[1:43:24] | Proud Americans. | 骄傲的美国人 |
[1:43:25] | And, of course, you must! | 当然 你们一定要 |
[1:43:28] | And if you do, Kazuo Miyamoto has nothing to fear… | 各位要是履行了义务 那宫本一雄就不用担心了 |
[1:43:32] | because this great country is supposed to be founded… | 因为这个国家的基础是建立在 |
[1:43:37] | on a set of principles of fairness… | 公平 平等和正义… |
[1:43:40] | of equality and justice. | 的基本原则上 |
[1:43:44] | And if you are true to these principles… | 如果各位忠于这个原则 |
[1:43:49] | you’ll only convict a man for what he’s done, and not for who he is. | 那判决时 取决的因素 将是他的行为而非他的外貌 |
[1:43:57] | I’m an old man. I don’t walk so well anymore. | 我是个老人 不但行动不灵活 |
[1:44:01] | One of my eyes is close to useless. | 连耳朵也不太好 |
[1:44:03] | My life is drawing to a close. | 可以说是日薄西山了 |
[1:44:06] | Why do I say this? | 我为何要说这些话呢? |
[1:44:08] | I say this because it means that I ponder matters… | 我说这些 是因为有感于人生的短暂 |
[1:44:13] | in the light of death… | 衡量事情时 |
[1:44:15] | in a way that most of you do not. | 我的方法和大部分的人不同 |
[1:44:18] | And I feel like a traveler descended from Mars… | 而我觉得自己 像是来自火星的旅客 |
[1:44:23] | astounded by what I see here. | 在此的所见所闻 让我大吃一惊 |
[1:44:26] | The same human frailty… | 相同的人性缺点 |
[1:44:30] | passed on from generation to generation. | 一代一代的传承了下来 |
[1:44:33] | We hate one another. We are the victims… | 我们憎恨彼此 我们是… |
[1:44:36] | of irrational fears, of prejudice. | 盲目的恐惧跟偏见的受害者 |
[1:44:41] | You might think… | 你们也许认为… |
[1:44:43] | that this is a small trial in a small place. | 这不过是小岛上 一件不重要的审判 |
[1:44:47] | Hmm? Well… | 事实上… |
[1:44:50] | it isn’t. | 并非如此 |
[1:44:52] | Every once in a while, somewhere in the world… | 每隔一段时间 世界上的某个角落 |
[1:44:55] | humanity goes on trial… | 面临审判的不只是人性 |
[1:44:59] | and integrity… | 还有 正直 |
[1:45:02] | and decency. | 以及行为 |
[1:45:04] | Every once in a while… | 每隔一段时间 |
[1:45:06] | ordinary people just like you, ladies and gentlemen… | 像各位先生 各位女士一样的平凡人 |
[1:45:10] | get called on to give the report card for the human race. | 收到邀请 替人类填写成绩单 |
[1:45:18] | In the name of humanity, do your duty as jurors. | 看在人性的份上 来履行身为评审的义务 |
[1:45:25] | Return this man to his wife and children. | 让这个人回到他妻子 和小孩的身边 |
[1:45:29] | Set him free… | 放他自由 |
[1:45:32] | as you must. | 尽你们应尽的义务 |
[1:46:12] | Good night, Mrs. Miyamoto. | 晚安 宫本太太 |
[1:47:07] | Please. | 求求你 |
[1:47:12] | l know you’ll think this is crazy. | 我知道你认为这样很疯狂 |
[1:47:14] | But all l want to do is hold you… | 但我只是想抱你 |
[1:47:17] | and l think that if you’ll let me do that just for a few seconds… | 我想 如果你肯让我抱你 只要一下 |
[1:47:25] | l can walk away… | 我就能够离开 |
[1:47:28] | and never speak to you again. | 从此不再打扰你 |
[1:47:32] | Hatsue, can you please look at me? | 初枝 求求你看着我 |
[1:48:09] | I did a terrible thing, Ishmael. | 伊士麦 我做了件不可原谅的事 |
[1:48:13] | But you have to hear this. | 可是你必须听我说 |
[1:48:15] | l can never touch you. | 我永远都不可以碰你 |
[1:48:18] | You have to let go. | 你必须忘记过去 |
[1:48:20] | That’s the way things are. | 人总要面对现实 |
[1:48:30] | Things end, Ishmael. | 伊士麦 事情总会有结束的一天 |
[1:48:35] | They do. | 会结束的 |
[1:48:39] | You have to let go. | 你必须忘记过去 |
[1:49:02] | I went by the lighthouse, and I found a report… | 我顺路经过灯塔 找到一份报告 |
[1:49:04] | that stated the freighter passed through the Ship Channel Bank… | 上面记载 事发当时 有一艘巨型货轮 |
[1:49:08] | at the exact time of Carl Heine’s death. | 刚好通过船舰湾 |
[1:49:11] | Which is something that should have been discussed at the trial. | 辩方应该提这份报告 做为新的证据 |
[1:49:15] | I can’t believe I let you rope me into this. | 我不敢相信 竟然被你骗来参加 |
[1:49:17] | God! We’ve been over these boats a dozen times. | 老天爷! 这艘船 我们不知道搜过多少次 |
[1:49:20] | If there’s a lantern on Carl’s mast, then Miyamoto’s story’s true. | 如果卡尔船上的桅杆有灯笼 那宫本说的就是实情 |
[1:49:24] | See? No lantern. | 看吧! 没有 |
[1:49:28] | -What are those? -Nothing. Bits of twine. | -那是什么? -没什么 只是几段麻绳罢了 |
[1:49:30] | Bits of twine aren’t nothing. | 不光只是几段麻绳 |
[1:49:35] | Maybe somebody should take a look at those. | 也许该叫人上去看看 |
[1:49:43] | Don’t touch anything up there. It’s still a crime scene. Remember? | 记得 别碰其他东西 目前这还是犯罪现场 |
[1:49:46] | Don’t ever touch something at a crime scene. | 绝对不可以破坏犯罪现场 |
[1:49:57] | Don’t the phrase, “The jury’s out” mean anything to you? | 你不觉得自己在亡羊补牢吗? |
[1:50:02] | They’re lashings. | 绳子是绑住的 |
[1:50:04] | Figure-eight lashings all cut through. | 绑成八字型 全部都被割断 |
[1:50:09] | And you know something? | 另外 还有一件事 |
[1:50:12] | These stains here on the mast, they could be blood. | 桅杆上有些污点 很可能是血 |
[1:50:17] | The cut on his hand. | 卡尔手上的伤口 |
[1:50:20] | See this? | 看到没? |
[1:50:34] | Art, I think you better come down here. | 亚瑟 你最好下来一下 |
[1:50:37] | -Something you should see. -What the hell is it now? | -有些东西你应该看一看 -现在又怎样? |
[1:50:43] | -What? -Take a look at this. | -什么? -你看这个 |
[1:50:58] | This better be good. | 你们最好有很好的理由 |
[1:51:02] | I can admit evidence if required in the interest of justice. | 我可以承认新证物 如果是基于司法公平的理由 |
[1:51:06] | Only if it changes everything. | 而且 除非新证据 会改变整个案情 |
[1:51:08] | -Nels explained that to you? -Yes, he did. | -尼尔斯跟你解释过吗? -他有 |
[1:51:12] | Very well then. About this second lantern and the freighter. | 很好 关于第二盏灯笼 还有货轮 |
[1:51:16] | After Miyamoto left, and Carl’s engine was up and running… | 在宫本离开后 卡尔船上的引擎也开始运转 |
[1:51:19] | he must have remembered the lantern, so he climbs up to cut it down. | 他一定是想到灯笼 所以他爬上去把它割下来 |
[1:52:08] | Everything fits.: the coast guard report… | 一切细节都吻合 海岸防卫队的记录 |
[1:52:10] | the lanterns, the freighter’s course… | 灯笼 货轮的航线 |
[1:52:13] | the coffee cup, the time on Carl’s watch… | 咖啡杯 卡尔手表上的时间 |
[1:52:15] | and Carl’s blood on the fishing gaff. | 还有 鱼叉上有卡尔的血迹 |
[1:52:18] | Your Honor, that is the rankest speculation. | 法官大人 这个理论是最荒谬的推测 |
[1:52:22] | Alvin, please spare me. | 艾文 拜托你克制一下 |
[1:52:24] | -With all due respect… -You listen here! | -法官大人 请恕我冒昧… -你给我听着 |
[1:52:26] | We’re going to hear this theory out. | 我们会听完这个理论 |
[1:52:28] | And if justice demands it, we’re gonna let the jury hear it too… | 假如审判传讯需要时 我们也会让陪审团聆听 |
[1:52:31] | just in case it might be the truth. | 这个理论很有可能是事实 |
[1:52:35] | The head wound? | 头部的伤口 |
[1:52:37] | We found a small fracture in the gunnel. | 我们发现船缘有一个小裂缝 |
[1:52:39] | -Just below the mast. -Anything could’ve caused that. | 刚好在桅杆下面 裂缝可能是任何东西造成的 |
[1:52:42] | -Anything with human hair. -Why? | -只要是有人发的就可以 -什么意思? |
[1:52:49] | May I? | 能让我看吗? |
[1:52:52] | This isn’t a legal case. | 这是个法律案件 |
[1:52:55] | There’s no way to prove any of this, Your Honor. | 法官大人 根本无法证实 这个理论的真实性 |
[1:52:58] | This certainly warrants a fresh look. | 但至少保证本案 有另一个较客观的证据 |
[1:53:03] | I want to think about it. | 我需要仔细思考 |
[1:53:14] | By the way… | 还有… |
[1:53:17] | this coast guard report, when did you come across it? | 你是何时发现这份报告的? |
[1:53:23] | Was it today you went out to the lighthouse? | 你是今天去的灯塔? |
[1:53:30] | Day before yesterday. | 是前天去的 |
[1:53:36] | You’re wondering why I held on to it. | 你很奇怪 为何我要收着它 |
[1:53:39] | Perhaps I have some idea. | 我想我知道… |
[1:53:48] | Could it have anything to do… | 你不愿公布的原因 |
[1:53:54] | with the way you look at her? | 跟你看她的眼神是否有关? |
[1:54:01] | It takes a rare thing… | 有时需要一个契机 |
[1:54:05] | a turning point… | 一个转折点 |
[1:54:07] | to free one’s self from any obsession. | 将自己从过去的枷锁中释放 |
[1:54:10] | Be it prejudice or hate… | 不管是偏见还是仇恨 |
[1:54:13] | or even love. | 或是爱 |
[1:54:18] | I had to, really. | 我必须这样做 |
[1:54:23] | I had no choice. | 我别无选择 |
[1:54:26] | You’re sounding just a little like your father. | 你的口气听起来有点像你父亲 |
[1:54:29] | Did I ever tell you how much I liked him? | 我告诉过你 我有多喜欢他吗? |
[1:54:37] | I keep thinking about Carl. How unfair it seems. | 我一直想到卡尔的死 是多么的不公平 |
[1:54:42] | An accident. Just like that. | 一场意外 就这样 |
[1:54:46] | Things just bear down on us, I suppose. | 我想 事情只是刚好发生在我们身上 |
[1:54:50] | A freighter in the fog. | 雾中的一艘货轮 |
[1:54:55] | Or a war. | 或是一场争 |
[1:55:01] | Accident rules every corner of the universe… | 命运主宰了天地万物 |
[1:55:05] | except maybe the chambers of the human heart. | 却无法左右人的心灵 |
[1:56:34] | Morning, Horace. Reminds you of 1930, doesn’t it? | 贺瑞斯 早安 是否让你想到1930年的大风雪 |
[1:56:37] | 1929, Nels. I believe you’re thinking of 1929. | 尼尔斯 我相信你是指1929年 |
[1:56:42] | Of course it was, Horace. Winter of’29. | 当然是1929年的冬天 |
[1:57:11] | All rise. The Superior Court for the State of Washington… | 请起立 华盛顿州高等法院 |
[1:57:15] | County of San Piedro, is now in session. | 圣彼卓郡 现在开庭 |
[1:57:26] | Members of the jury, this court thanks you for your diligence… | 各位陪审员 法庭谢谢各位的辛劳 |
[1:57:31] | in the task you have performed under difficult circumstances. | 在艰难的环境下担此重任 |
[1:57:34] | However, in the light of the new forensic evidence we have heard… | 然而 由于新科学证据的出现 |
[1:57:39] | you are hereby discharged from your responsibilities. | 各位的职责在此被解除 |
[1:57:51] | Order. | 秩序! |
[1:58:37] | Order. You will resume your seats. | 秩序! 大家坐好 |
[1:58:53] | Settle down. | 请回坐 |
[1:58:58] | Let us not forget… | 我们必须记住 |
[1:59:00] | we have been considering the death of one man… | 我们在思考一个人的死亡时 |
[1:59:04] | as well as pondering the fate of another. | 同时也在衡量另一个人的命运 |
[1:59:09] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[1:59:17] | Kazuo Miyamoto, in the interest of justice… | 宫本一雄 基于司法公平的理由 |
[1:59:21] | the charges against you are dismissed. | 法庭撤销对你的控诉 |
[1:59:23] | You’re free to go home. | 你自由了 回家吧! |
[1:59:48] | It’s been a pleasure serving with you. | 很荣幸跟你共事 |
[2:01:14] | Can I hold you now? | 我现在可以抱你吗? |
[2:01:30] | I’m so grateful for your gentle heart. | 我真的很感激你的仁慈心肠 |