英文名称:Roman J. Israel, Esq.
年代:2017
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:34] | Subtitles by explosiveskull | |
[01:02] | 案件 # 00-00001 | |
[01:06] | 至高普遍法 最高法庭 | |
[01:11] | (洛杉矶分庭) | |
[01:13] | 原告 ROMAN J. ISRAEL 阁下 | |
[01:16] | 诉 被告 其本人 | |
[01:20] | 上诉请求 | |
[01:24] | 永久将ROMAN J. ISRAEL 阁下驱逐出 | |
[01:28] | 加利福尼亚律界及人类社会 | |
[01:31] | 因其虚伪至极 | |
[01:34] | 背叛了他宣称曾为之奋斗的一切 | |
[01:38] | 案件陈述 | |
[01:40] | 1. 二十六年来被告/原告受雇于 | |
[01:45] | WILLIAM HENRY JACKSON律所 | |
[01:47] | 其为二人刑事辩护律所 位于洛杉矶 | |
[01:51] | 在这段时间里 被告/原告的职责专注于 | |
[01:57] | 起草诉讼摘要 动议和申辩 | |
[02:01] | 之后由首要合伙人 | |
[02:03] | WILLIAM HENRY JACKSON专注于庭上事宜 | |
[02:08] | 三周前 此份工作关系被终结 | |
[02:12] | 由此开始的一系列事件使ROMAN J. ISRAEL阁下 | |
[02:16] | 做出违背道德和法律的不端行为 | |
[02:19] | 由此得出的上述诉讼请求 | |
[02:22] | 希望即刻得出判决 | |
[02:36] | “PC section 374.962. | “刑法 374.962项 |
[02:42] | “Burglary in the first degree. | “一级盗窃罪 |
[02:43] | 三周前 | |
[02:50] | “PC section A374962 | “刑法A374962项 |
[02:55] | “Provides, in relevant part, | “于相关部分列举 |
[03:00] | “A person commits the building | “人在建筑内所犯的罪行 |
[03:03] | “Which regularly or intermittently is used | “通常适用于 |
[03:06] | “In place… | “地点 |
[03:11] | of… which…” | 在其” |
[03:14] | Hello? | 你好 |
[03:16] | “One resides in a period of 48…” | “居住的48…” |
[03:18] | Yeah. | 对 |
[03:22] | Yeah, of course I remember you. That’s why I gave you my card. | 对 我当然记得你了 所以才给了你名片 |
[03:29] | Yeah, yeah. Ankle monitors don’t just fall off. You cut them off. | 嗯 嗯 脚踝监视器不会就掉下来的 是你剪掉了 |
[03:34] | It’s a big difference. | 区别大着呢 |
[03:37] | Because it’s a violation. | 因为这违反假释条例 |
[03:39] | – How you doing? – I’m here. | – 你怎么样 – 还好 |
[03:42] | Well, I can’t advise you to do that. | 呃 我不建议你这么做 |
[03:46] | I hear banging. | 我听到砸门了 |
[03:50] | – William Henry Jackson. – Well, open it. | – William Henry Jackson律所 – 那就开啊 |
[03:52] | Right, open it before they kick it in. | 对 在他们踹开之前开门 |
[03:55] | Hello? | 喂 |
[03:57] | No. No. Dear Jesus. | 不 不 老天啊 |
[03:59] | Hello? | 喂 |
[04:01] | Oh, God. Where’d they take him? | 哦 天啊 他们把他送到哪了 |
[04:04] | Roman! William’s had a heart attack outside his building. | Roman! William在他房子外边心脏病发了 |
[04:07] | He’s at MLK. | 他在马丁路德金医院 |
[04:09] | – Is it serious? – Of course it’s serious. | – 严重吗 – 当然严重了 |
[04:11] | He’s at the emergency room. | 他在急救室呢 |
[04:12] | Call the hospital, and see what you can learn. | 给医院打电话 看看有什么事要做 |
[04:17] | I’ll tell you what to do. | 我告诉你怎么办 |
[04:19] | I’ll tell you exactly what we’re gonna do. | 我告诉你我们怎么办 |
[04:21] | Get Kibby on the phone. He can cover for him. | 给Kibby打电话 他能替他出庭 |
[04:23] | – Kibby retired. – When? | – Kibby退休了 – 什么时候 |
[04:25] | Years ago. Now, listen, Roman, William had a full day today. | 几年前了 听着 Roman, William今天安排的满满的 |
[04:30] | – Okay. – You have to cover for him. | – 好 – 你得去替他了 |
[04:31] | – Okay. – Tell the clients | – 好 – 和客户说 |
[04:33] | and the prosecutors and the judges what’s going on. | 还有公诉人和法官 告诉他们怎么了 |
[04:36] | – Okay. – Get continuances. | – 好 – 申请延期 |
[04:39] | – Okay. – Just continuances. | – 好 – 只申请延期 |
[04:41] | Just continuances. | 只申请延期 |
[04:42] | I typed up his day. It’s in there on my desk. | 他的日程打出来了 在我桌子上呢 |
[04:45] | – All right. – Dear Lord. | – 好的 – 老天啊 |
[04:48] | Okay. | 行吧 |
[04:50] | Just continuances. | 只申请延期 |
[05:02] | 洛杉矶县 刑事法庭楼 | |
[05:04] | All metal goes in the trays. | 金属制品放在托盘里 |
[05:07] | – Phones, change. – Step forward, please. | – 电话 零钱 – 请向前走 |
[05:10] | If you have a belt, please remove it. | 如果你系了皮带 请解下来 |
[05:14] | Keys. | 钥匙 |
[05:15] | Any loose change. | 任何硬币 |
[05:17] | You must remove it so it can be scanned. | 都必须取出接受扫描 |
[05:20] | Next person. | 下一位 |
[05:21] | Put your arms out. Just hold right there. | 伸开胳膊 举着别动 |
[05:23] | Listen, my iPod, I got 8000 songs in here. | 听着 我的iPod里边有8000首歌 |
[05:27] | The last time I put that in there | 上次我放进去 |
[05:29] | I lost the bass range on | 有首歌的低音就没了 |
[05:31] | Gil Scott-Heron’s “Winter in America.” | Gil Scott-Heron的”美国之冬” |
[05:34] | Brian Jackson. | Brian Jackson那首 |
[05:35] | Everything gets scanned. | 一切都得扫描 |
[05:38] | – Step up, please. – Next. | – 请向先 – 下一个 |
[05:41] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 |
[05:45] | All phones off. | 关掉所有手机 |
[05:48] | Phones off. | 关掉手机 |
[05:52] | All phones off. | 关掉所有手机 |
[05:53] | Excuse me, sister. Where’s the, uh…? | 不好意思 姊妹 问一下 |
[05:56] | The court for white folks? | 白人法庭在哪 |
[05:59] | Phones off. | 关闭手机 |
[06:05] | Wack-ass. | 欠揍 |
[06:13] | Quiet in the court. | 庭上肃静 |
[06:15] | Uh. Excuse me. | 呃 不好意思 |
[06:17] | What do you have on number 32? | 32号的情况如何 |
[06:20] | Langston Bailey? | |
[06:33] | This says William Jackson’s his lawyer. | 上面写着他的律师是William Jackson |
[06:35] | Well, Mr. Jackson had a heart attack this morning. | Jackson先生今早心脏病发作 |
[06:37] | I’m Roman Israel, his partner. | 我是Roman Israel 他的合伙人 |
[06:40] | I didn’t know Jackson had a partner. | 我不知道Jackson还有合伙人 |
[06:41] | Well, I don’t have the, uh, patience | 我忍受不了 呃 |
[06:44] | for the butchery that occurs here. Mr. Jackson does. | 这里的惨状 他才能 |
[06:47] | You want a continuance? | 你要延期吗 |
[06:49] | What bail you offering? | 你什么条件 |
[06:51] | No bail. And he pleas to count one. | 不得假释 如果他认罪 |
[06:53] | I’ll tell the judge and request a minimum five years. | 我会向法官请求最少五年徒刑 |
[06:57] | He’s facing 15 at trial. | 要审判的话可能判15年 |
[06:58] | For a 17-year-old breaking and entering? | 17岁的非法闯入罪吗 |
[07:00] | Hell, why don’t we just get it over with and shoot him? | 嗨 那我们不如一枪打死他算了 |
[07:04] | That’s the offer. | 条件就这样 |
[07:06] | Do what you gotta do. | 随便你了 |
[07:07] | Offer doesn’t really, I mean… | 这条件真的 我是说 |
[07:09] | He’s not taking top plea. I can tell you that. | 他不会认一等罪的 我告诉你 |
[07:12] | You’re already overcharging him. | 你告的罪名太重了 |
[07:14] | L-Let’s talk about mitigating circumstances. | 那说说减罪情节吧 |
[07:16] | He was caught wearing a T-shirt with a gang symbol. | 他被抓的时候穿着有黑帮标志的T恤 |
[07:19] | Like the flag pin on your lapel. | 和你的旗帜领标没区别 |
[07:21] | Five years. That’s as low as the People will go. | 五年 人民不会接受再低了 |
[07:25] | People? What people? There’s no people. | 人民 什么人民 才没有人民呢 |
[07:26] | There’s just you making a bullshit career-climbing offer. | 只有你想给自己出成绩给的狗屁条件 |
[07:29] | Come on, let’s admit it. | 算了吧 就承认吧 |
[07:31] | Present it to your client. | 和你的客户说 |
[07:34] | His name is Langston. | 他的名字叫Langston |
[07:36] | He’s a high school junior in good standing. | 他是个高一的好孩子 |
[07:37] | Plays on the soccer team. | 是足球队员 |
[07:39] | All of this despite that his father’s in jail. | 而这背后是他的父亲在监狱里 |
[07:41] | His mother is in drug treatment. | 他的母亲在戒毒 |
[07:44] | And due to a legion of forces beyond his control, | 由于很多他没法控制的原因 |
[07:48] | he joined a gang for acceptance, family, and protection. | 他加入了帮派 寻求认同 家庭和保护 |
[07:53] | He has one prior minor offense. | 他前科有一项轻罪 |
[07:55] | Each one of us is greater than the worst thing we’ve ever done. | 我们所有人做的最坏的事不是就定义了我们 |
[08:00] | Deep bows. | 向你致敬 |
[08:01] | Please, talk to your client. | 和你的客户说去吧 |
[08:05] | My conviction rate’s 100 percent. | 我的定罪率是百分之百 |
[08:08] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[08:10] | Court of District Nine is now in session. | 地区九庭现在开庭 |
[08:13] | The Honorable James Hurakami is presiding. | 由James Hurakami法官审判 |
[08:22] | Langston Bailey. | |
[08:24] | Thank you, bailiff. You may be seated. | 谢谢 法警 可以坐下了 |
[08:29] | Wow, five to seven? | 喔 五到七年 |
[08:31] | Thought I was going to juvie though. | 还以为我会去少管所 |
[08:34] | I want to speak to Mr. Jackson. | 我想和Jackson先生谈 |
[08:36] | He’s in the hospital. | 他进医院了 |
[08:39] | When’s he coming back? | 他什么时候回来 |
[08:40] | Wish I knew. | 我也想知道 |
[08:49] | I want a new lawyer. I want to switch. I have rights. | 我想要个新的律师 我想换律师 我有权利 |
[08:52] | Mr. Jackson is the one who comes to court, | Jackson是上庭的人 |
[08:54] | but he comes to me for legal guidance. | 但是他法律上的事也要问我 |
[08:57] | Now, you’re being overcharged to accept a plea, | 现在 告你重罪是为了让你做认罪协定 |
[09:00] | and to keep things moving. | 这样一切才能继续 |
[09:02] | They want to punish you for even asking for a day in court. | 你想上一天审判庭 就要罚你 |
[09:05] | It’s a volume business. | 这是走量的事 |
[09:08] | With guards getting overtime, | 守卫都要加班 |
[09:09] | and private companies owning the jails | 真的 还有监狱都是 |
[09:11] | and building them as well. It’s a fact. | 私人公司建造拥有的 |
[09:14] | You want to fight, we’ll fight. I mean, to hell with the bill. | 你想抗争 我们就抗 别管账单的事了 |
[09:17] | But if we take it to trial, | 但如果我们上审判庭 |
[09:19] | and you lose, | 而你输掉 |
[09:22] | they hit you with 15 years. | 他们会判你15年 |
[09:25] | And they rarely lose. | 而他们很少输 |
[09:28] | Keep your head up. | 头抬起来 |
[09:34] | And do some push-ups. | 做点俯卧撑吧 |
[09:40] | This is a preliminary hearing on the case | 本场预审关于案件 |
[09:42] | of The People of the State of California | 加利福尼亚州人民 |
[09:44] | v. William Carlos Ramirez. | 诉William Carlos Ramirez |
[09:47] | Case number A64-9725. | 案件编号A64-9725 |
[09:50] | Counsel will state your names. | 律师们请宣读姓名 |
[09:51] | People are represented by Michael Wesley. | 人民方代理为Michael Wesley |
[09:54] | Roman J. Israel, Esquire, on behalf of Mr. Ramirez. | Roman J. Israel阁下 代理Ramirez先生 |
[09:58] | Mr. Israel, I’ll grant a continuance, | Israel先生 我可以批准延期 |
[10:01] | given lead counsel’s medical emergency. | 鉴于首席律师的紧急病况 |
[10:03] | Um. I’d like to dive right in, Your Honor. | 呃 庭上 我想直接开始 |
[10:07] | Very good. | 很好 |
[10:09] | Proceed. | 继续 |
[10:10] | Uh, your Honor, the People request the defendant, | 庭上 人民要求被告 |
[10:13] | Mr. William Carlos Ramirez | William Carlos Ramirez先生 |
[10:15] | be held to answer on three counts of violating | 被判处三起违反 |
[10:18] | Health and Safety Code Section 11351: | 健康安全法条例11351 |
[10:21] | possession of powder cocaine for sale. | 贩卖持有可卡因粉末 |
[10:23] | Mr. Ramirez was observed and filmed making three drug sales | Ramirez先生被看到并拍到和卧底警官 |
[10:27] | to undercover officers. | 做了三起毒品交易 |
[10:29] | Mr. Ramirez made a confession to detectives | Ramirez向警探透露 |
[10:31] | that he supported himself selling drugs. | 他靠贩卖毒品为生 |
[10:34] | Objection. Motion to strike. Mr. Ramirez was told | 异议 申请删除 Ramirez先生被告知 |
[10:36] | he was not under arrest, and was interrogated | 没有被捕 而在没有被宣告 |
[10:38] | without the benefit of his Miranda warning, | 米兰达警告的情况下接受了讯问 |
[10:40] | yet he was refused use of the bathroom. | 此外还被拒绝使用洗手间 |
[10:42] | That’s a violation of civil rights. | 这是对人身权利的侵害 |
[10:44] | Um, it wasn’t an interrogation. It was an interview. | 那不是讯问 那是采访 |
[10:47] | Overruled. | 无效 |
[10:49] | If a cop hauls you in, and says you can’t use the bathroom | 如果警察抓你进去 说你不能用洗手间 |
[10:52] | then you’re being detained. | 那你就是被扣留了 |
[10:54] | We’re moving on. | 我们要继续了 |
[10:55] | What was he supposed to do, your Honor, pee himself? | 他能怎么办 庭上 尿裤子吗 |
[10:57] | You can wait, and address this at trial. | 你可以之后在审判的时候指出这一点 |
[10:59] | I would like to address it now. | 我想现在就指出 |
[11:00] | I’m just saying we have a real… | 我只是说我们有个… |
[11:02] | Mr. Israel. | Israel先生 |
[11:03] | Did you hear what I said? | 你听到我说的话了吗 |
[11:10] | If… | 如果 |
[11:11] | armed guards in this courtroom detained you | 法庭上的持械警卫扣留了你 |
[11:14] | and would not allow you to use the bathroom | 而不让你使用洗手间 |
[11:17] | you would, by all definition, be detained. | 那你就是被扣留了 |
[11:19] | What is good for the goose is good for the gander. | 适用于甲的也适用于乙 |
[11:21] | I’m gonna hold you in contempt if you continue to pursue this. | 如果你继续说这个我要判你蔑视法庭 |
[11:23] | With all due respect, you’re asking me to obey | 恕我直言 你是让我遵循 |
[11:26] | an erroneous court decision. | 一个错误的法庭决议 |
[11:27] | You tell me to wait. In my experience, wait… | 你告诉我要等 根据我的经验 等… |
[11:31] | Okay. | 好了 |
[11:32] | Find you in contempt. | 蔑视法庭 |
[11:34] | Is there anything else you’d like to add before I set fine? | 我定罚金之前你还有什么要说的吗 |
[11:42] | I told you to just get continuances. | 我和你说了只申请延期 |
[11:45] | Yeah, I’m filing an appeal. | 嗯 我要上诉的 |
[11:46] | Five thousand dollars? | 五千美金 |
[11:48] | Well… | 呃 |
[11:50] | “I wouldn’t trust a lawyer that didn’t get complaints | “如果控方或法官对一个律师没有怨言的话 |
[11:52] | from the prosecution or the court.” Who said that? | 我就不相信他” 是谁说的 |
[11:54] | – I have no idea. – William. | – 我不知道 – William |
[11:56] | I can always count on you to say | 在说最不合适的话的方面 |
[11:58] | the utterly inappropriate thing. | 你从没让我失望过 |
[12:00] | I’m with Lynn now. She’s very upset about it. | 我和Lynn在一起呢 她很沮丧 |
[12:03] | How is he? | 他怎么样了 |
[12:05] | It’s not good. They’re still running tests. | 不太好 他们还在做检查 |
[12:08] | All right, well, I’ll come over to the hospital. | 好吧 我这就去医院 |
[12:10] | Don’t. He’s not even in his room. You understand? | 别 他都不在自己的病房 你懂吗 |
[12:13] | – Yeah. – What’s that? | – 嗯 – 你说什么 |
[12:15] | Well, Lynn says we’ll talk about it tomorrow, Roman. | 嗯 Lynn说我们明天再说这事 Roman |
[12:17] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[13:05] | You have reached the Los Angeles Police Department | 这里是洛杉矶警察局 |
[13:08] | Noise Enforcement Team. | 噪音处理队 |
[13:10] | Please leave your name, contact telephone number, | 请留下姓名 联系电话 |
[13:12] | and a Noise Enforcement Team officer | 一名噪音处理队警官 |
[13:15] | will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you, and have a nice day. | 会尽快与你取得联系 谢谢 祝你愉快 |
[13:19] | Yes. My name is Roman J. Israel, Esquire. | 我的名字是Roman J. Israel阁下 |
[13:22] | I’d like to report a construction noise violation, | 我想汇报一处施工噪音违规 |
[13:24] | 570 Gladys Avenue. That’s G-L-A-D-Y-S Avenue, Los Angeles. | Gladys大道570号 G-L-A-D-Y-S大道 洛杉矶 |
[13:29] | City regulation 5612 prohibits construction | 城市条例5612禁止施工 |
[13:33] | and-or repair of any kind | 或任何形式的修复 |
[13:35] | between the hours of 7 p.M. Until 7 a.M. | 在晚7点到下一天的早7点 |
[13:38] | the following morning. Thank you. | 之间进行 谢谢 |
[14:15] | 姊妹 你在此处受欢迎 | |
[14:19] | 走自己的路 | |
[14:27] | Please leave your name, contact telephone number | 请留下姓名 联系电话 |
[14:30] | and a Noise Enforcement Team officer | 一名噪音处理队警官 |
[14:32] | will contact you as soon as possible. | 会尽快与你取得联系 |
[14:34] | Thank you, and have a nice day. | 谢谢 祝你愉快 |
[14:37] | My name is Roman J. Israel, Esquire. | 我的名字是Roman J. Israel阁下 |
[14:39] | I want to report construction noise at 570 Gladys Avenue. | 我想汇报Gladys大道570号的施工噪音 |
[14:43] | That’s G-L-A-D-Y-S Avenue. | G-L-A-D-Y-S大道 |
[14:46] | City regulation 5612 requires | 城市条例5612条要求 |
[14:49] | that there is no construction or repair of any kind | 施工或任何种类的修复不得在 |
[14:53] | between the hours of 7 p.M. And 7 a.M. | 晚7点到下一天的早7点 |
[14:56] | the following morning. | 之间进行 |
[14:58] | 5-6-1-2 Five-six-one-two. | |
[15:01] | That’s the city regulation. | 城市条例这么写 |
[15:03] | That’s the law. | 法律这么写 |
[15:04] | I’m a lawyer. | 我是个律师 |
[15:06] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[15:29] | – Hello, Roman. – Hi. | – 你好 Roman – 嗨 |
[15:31] | – This is George Pierce. – Nice to meet you. | – 我是George Pierce – 很高兴见到你 |
[15:34] | Pleasure. | 荣幸 |
[15:35] | The doctors have concluded that William | 医生们诊断William现在 |
[15:38] | is in a permanent vegetative state. | 处在永久植物人状态 |
[15:40] | Ah. Well, he’ll surprise them. | 啊 他会让他们吃惊的 |
[15:43] | Well, we’d like to believe that but not this time. | 我们也希望是那样 但这次不会了 |
[15:49] | You get a second opinion? | 你找别的医生看过吗 |
[15:50] | He’s had three. | 三个医生看过他 |
[15:52] | Now, Roman, my uncle gave me | 现在 Roman 我叔叔给过我 |
[15:54] | financial and medical power of attorney. | 金融和医疗的代理权 |
[15:57] | If the firm was stable, we’d have time to mourn | 如果律所情况稳定 我们有时间来悼念他 |
[15:59] | but it’s not, and we don’t. | 但并非如此 我们没时间 |
[16:02] | William’s directive asks using George | William指示在他没有行为能力的情况下 |
[16:05] | in the event of incapacitation. | 事情交给George |
[16:06] | And George has generously offered | George慷慨地提出 |
[16:08] | to take time from his busy practice | 在百忙之中抽时前来 |
[16:10] | to sort through the remaining cases, | 理清剩余的案件 |
[16:12] | help close the office, and collect what’s due. | 帮助关闭办公室 收集欠款 |
[16:17] | Well, I probably haven’t had | 我也许还没能 |
[16:19] | time to consider all the, uh, | 有时间考虑所有的 呃 |
[16:21] | you know, various ramifications of this. | 你知道的 造成的各种后果 |
[16:24] | None of us have. | 我们都没时间 |
[16:27] | I can’t live on my accolades. | 我只凭头衔活不下去 |
[16:30] | Well, Lynn was hoping to give you and… | Lynn本来希望能给你和 |
[16:32] | What’s the receptionist’s name? | 那个接待员叫什么来着 |
[16:33] | – Vernita. – Vernita, severance. | – Vernita – Vernita 给你们遣散费 |
[16:35] | But looking over the books, it just doesn’t seem possible. | 但查过账目之后 实在是没办法 |
[16:41] | I’ll take over. Ahem. | 我来接手 |
[16:43] | No, you’re not capable of continuing the practice. | 不 你没能力继续当律师了 |
[16:49] | On your contempt fine, | 你的蔑视法庭罚款 |
[16:50] | we can argue extreme emotional distress | 我们可以辩驳是因为极端情绪困扰 |
[16:52] | and hope for a reduction. | 希望可以减免 |
[16:53] | Right. B-b-but I’ll take over, | 对 但 但我会接手 |
[16:55] | because in the architecture of this firm, I am a pillar. | 因为在这所律所 我是骨干 |
[17:00] | Yes, and, Roman, I’d hoped to reward you for that. | 对 Roman 我希望能因为这个奖励你 |
[17:02] | Hope don’t get the job done. | 希望不会成事 |
[17:05] | What does that mean? | 这话什么意思 |
[17:07] | That means hope don’t get the job done. | 意思就是希望不会成事 |
[17:14] | Is it ego | 那是自负能成 |
[17:16] | or delusion? | 还是幻想能成 |
[17:19] | Honestly, I… | 说真的 我… |
[17:22] | I never paid enough attention to you. | 我从来就没怎么关注过你 |
[17:25] | This place runs more like a charity service than a law firm. | 这间地方比起律所更像是家慈善机构 |
[17:30] | It’s run a deficit for years. | 数年都在亏损下运转 |
[17:33] | We… | 我们 |
[17:36] | his family, can no longer afford it. | 他的家人 承受不了这个了 |
[17:40] | We’re clearing the books. | 我们要整理账目 |
[17:42] | We’re handing this off to George. | 我们要都交给George了 |
[17:48] | Roman, I’m sorry. | Roman 我很抱歉 |
[17:53] | God, help me. | 神啊 帮帮我 |
[17:55] | Yeah, just tell him to wait. | 嗯 告诉他等等 |
[17:59] | No, just tell him to wait. I’ll be there in 30. Less. | 不 告诉他等着 我不到半个小时就到 |
[18:02] | All right. One sec, one sec. | 好 等下 等下 |
[18:05] | – So you have…? Uh-huh. – I’ll talk to him. | – 那你管…嗯 – 我会和他谈的 |
[18:27] | I’m sorry, man. | 我很抱歉 老兄 |
[18:29] | I feel for you. | 我理解你的感受 |
[18:36] | This where the bulldog did his work? | 这就是那斗牛犬做事的地方 |
[18:42] | What a mind. | 多伟大啊 |
[18:44] | He was great in the seat and great on his feet. | 他真的是坐的正 站的稳 |
[18:48] | Jesus, didn’t he ever throw anything away? | 天 他就什么都没扔过吗 |
[18:51] | My secretary’s gonna call. She’ll be point on this. | 我的秘书会来电话的 她负责这边的工作 |
[18:56] | What do you use? | 你们用什么软件 |
[18:57] | LegalPRO? Quicken? | |
[19:01] | What’s that? | 那是什么 |
[19:03] | Status on every case, depositions, | 每一场案件 取证 |
[19:05] | investigations, uh, conferences. | 调查 会议的情况 |
[19:07] | What, on cards? You’re kidding. | 什么 在卡片上吗 你开玩笑吧 |
[19:10] | I’m not helping you fast-plead just so you can get a fee. | 我不会帮你赶快做完拿钱的 |
[19:13] | Well, I’m in court every day. I fight hard for my clients. | 我每天都在上庭 我为我的客户奋战 |
[19:16] | You’re a low-flying bee. | 你就是只低飞的虫子 |
[19:19] | Is that what William said about me? | William是这么说我的吗 |
[19:21] | William never mentioned you. | William根本没提过你 |
[19:23] | – What’s that about, then? – Fact. | – 那你的意见是从哪来的 – 事实 |
[19:25] | Recorded fact, every case. | 有纪录的事实 每桩案件 |
[19:28] | Organized and available. | 都整理好了 |
[19:30] | And you can fact-check that | 如果你想的话 |
[19:31] | if you’d like on your legal Quicken. | 你可以在你的Quicken上核实 |
[19:34] | I don’t have time for this. | 我没时间做这个 |
[19:35] | My office will call to coordinate going forward. | 我的办公室会打来协调事情进行的 |
[19:38] | Let’s watch him now. | 看看他吧 |
[19:40] | Young George. | 年轻的George |
[19:41] | State of California v. Jason Angelo Fisher. | 加利福尼亚州政府 诉 Jason Angelo Fisher |
[19:46] | One of his first cases. Fisher’s first offense. | 他最早的几个案子之一 Fisher的初犯 |
[19:49] | Should have been reduced to misdemeanor possession. | 本来可以减到轻罪非法持有 |
[19:51] | But you pled him out to felony, conspiracy, and possession. | 但你让他供认重罪 共谋以及非法持有 |
[19:56] | That became your M.O. | 那成了你的作案手法 |
[19:58] | Take a retainer, waive your client’s rights to a prelim, | 收订金 在初审就放弃你的客户的权利 |
[20:01] | then dump them on the public defenders when they complain. | 之后他们抱怨的时候就丢给公诉人 |
[20:05] | What, you worked the Fisher case? His appeal? | 怎么 你处理过Fisher案吗 他的上诉吗 |
[20:07] | I recall reading the record. | 我记得读过记录 |
[20:09] | – That was seven years ago. – Eight. | – 那是七年前的事了 – 快八年了 |
[20:12] | So you’re saying you know all that from memory? | 那你是说你就记得这么多东西吗 |
[20:14] | Seven years, eight months, 47 days. | 七年 八个月 47天 |
[20:16] | I’m quite confident of my recollections. | 我对我的记忆很有信心 |
[20:18] | Well, my win-loss record is above 90 percent. | 我的胜诉率在百分之九十以上 |
[20:20] | That’s false and misleading. That’s only if you count | 那不是真的 只在算上 |
[20:22] | your three years as a prosecutor. | 你当公诉人那三年才成立 |
[20:25] | Well, William thought highly enough | William可是相信 |
[20:27] | to bring me in if something happened. | 如果发生什么就可以找我 |
[20:28] | Believe me, I’m going to find out why. | 相信我 我会找出是为什么的 |
[20:45] | Roman. Hey, Roman. | Roman 嘿 Roman |
[20:49] | Where you going? | 你要去哪 |
[20:52] | – Where you going? – MLK. | – 你要去哪 – 马丁路德金医院 |
[20:54] | Come on, I’ll give you a ride. | 来 我捎你一程 |
[20:58] | I’d rather walk. | 我宁愿走路 |
[21:00] | Come on, Roman. | 别这样 Roman |
[21:04] | I just want to talk. | 我只想谈谈 |
[21:12] | William taught a term at Loyola. That’s where we met. | William在洛约拉大学教过一学期 我们在那认识的 |
[21:15] | I was, uh, top of my class. | 我是 班上第一名 |
[21:17] | Potential’s a bitch. | 有潜力了不起 |
[21:20] | Well, I’ll tell you what’s not is having | 我告诉你有四家办公室 |
[21:22] | four offices and 60 people working for you. | 60个人给你工作是什么感觉 |
[21:24] | He picked me because I tossed him work. | 他选我是因为我给他案子 |
[21:27] | You know, loser cases I didn’t want, | 你懂的 我不想要的会输的案子 |
[21:28] | or I was too busy to handle. | 或者我太忙处理不了的案子 |
[21:30] | This, closing his office, it’s payback. | 这个 关闭他的办公室 是对我的回报 |
[21:33] | I’ll collect a fee. | 这样我能挣一笔 |
[21:36] | Look, it just so happens I could use someone with your ability | 听着 事情已经这样 我需要你这样 |
[21:40] | and your power of persuasive argument. | 有能力 有说服力的人 |
[21:42] | And I’ll pay you twice what William gave you. | 我会给你William给你的两倍工资 |
[21:45] | What do you say? | 你意下如何 |
[21:46] | What makes you different from this car? | 你和这车有什么不同 |
[21:48] | Whoa. | 喔 |
[21:49] | Really? Okay. | 真的吗 好吧 |
[21:51] | I’m gonna tell you something I think | 我要告诉你点我觉得 |
[21:53] | maybe will surprise and disappoint you. | 你听了会惊讶失望的事 |
[21:55] | I got a kickback from William | 每桩我给William的案子 |
[21:57] | for every single case I gave him. | 我都有回扣拿 |
[21:59] | Bullshit. | 放屁 |
[22:00] | I have the records. | 我留着记录 |
[22:02] | Apparently, you’ve been untouched by the messy business | 明显 你没经历过要开一家小刑辩律所 |
[22:05] | of running a small criminal defense firm. | 要处理的那些脏事 |
[22:09] | Was it wrong? | 这是错的吗 |
[22:11] | On some level, sure. | 某种程度上 是 |
[22:13] | Does it diminish what he did? Hell, no. | 但这折损了他做的事吗 当然没有 |
[22:15] | No, it allowed him to keep the doors open. | 不 这样容许他能继续开门营业 |
[22:17] | It kept you two going. | 能让你们两个继续做事 |
[22:18] | And to this day, I still remember quotes from his class. | 直到今天 我还记得他在课上讲的话 |
[22:21] | And that voice. | 还有他的声音 |
[22:23] | “What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. | “什么是宽容 它是人性的后果 |
[22:26] | “We are all formed of frailty and error. | “我们都由弱点和差错构成 |
[22:28] | “Let us pardon reciprocally each other’s follies. | “我们应当相互原谅彼此的错行 |
[22:31] | That is the first law of nature.” | “那是自然的第一法则” |
[22:33] | So what do you say we forget the past and move forward? | 我们不如就忘了过去携手向前 如何 |
[22:35] | Pull over. | 停车 |
[22:42] | I can’t work for you. | 我不能给你工作 |
[22:43] | What are you gonna do? | 那你要做什么 |
[22:45] | I’ll continue in criminal litigation. | 我会继续做刑事诉讼 |
[22:47] | That’s a bitch of a market. | 这市场可不好做 |
[22:48] | – What if you can’t find something? – What? | – 如果你找不到呢 – 什么 |
[22:50] | For argument’s sake, if you can’t find a firm take on, what’s next? | 假如 如果你找不到律所加入 之后呢 |
[22:53] | There is no next. There is no argument’s sake. | 没什么之后 没什么假如 |
[22:55] | There’s underwear model or activist attorney. | 可以当内衣模特或者维权律师 |
[22:57] | There is no next. | 没什么之后 |
[23:18] | – Yeah, George. – I want to bring someone in. | – 喂 George – 我想雇个人 |
[23:20] | Are you asking me, or are you telling me? | 你是问我意见 还是在告诉我 |
[23:22] | Jackson had a guy who drafted all his memoranda. | Jackson有个人整理他所有的文书工作 |
[23:25] | I think he’s a bit of a savant. | 我觉得他是学者症 |
[23:27] | He paid him 500 a week. | 他每周付他500 |
[23:29] | We can bill him out for that much an hour. | 我们可以给他每小时订价这么多 |
[23:55] | 国家 人权 协会 | |
[24:05] | Maya. It’s Roman Israel. | Maya 这是Roman Israel |
[24:10] | Sorry to keep you waiting. | 抱歉让您等这么久 |
[24:11] | I usually work off scheduled appointments. | 我总有预约外的工作 |
[24:13] | It’s okay. I had some pretzels and soda from down there. | 没事的 我吃了点饼干喝了汽水 |
[24:17] | That’s fine. | 那就好 |
[24:19] | So Jeff tells me you work with William Henry Jackson. | Jeff和我说您和William Henry Jackson一起工作 |
[24:23] | Yes, for 36 years. | 是的 36年了 |
[24:25] | We are… We were partners. | 我们是…曾经是合伙人 |
[24:28] | He was the public face of the firm. | 他是律所的脸面 |
[24:30] | I was the man behind the curtain, so to speak. | 我是幕后的人 可以这么说 |
[24:32] | How is he? | 他怎么样了 |
[24:33] | Unconscious several weeks now. | 现在已经无意识几周了 |
[24:35] | I’m so sorry. | 我很遗憾 |
[24:37] | Well, come on in. | 进来吧 |
[24:52] | I have no safeguard against unemployment. | 对于失业我没什么保险措施 |
[24:56] | So William and Ronald | William和Ronald |
[24:59] | were old friends and associates going back to Berkeley. | 从在伯克利大学开始就是好朋友和伙伴了 |
[25:02] | Mm-hm. Yeah, I’m aware. | 嗯 是的 我清楚 |
[25:04] | Ronnie mentions William in his book. | Ronnie在他的书里提过William |
[25:06] | Right. Yes, yes. I’d like to speak with him. | 对 是的 我想和他谈谈 |
[25:09] | Ron is at our headquarters in Washington. | Ron在我们华盛顿的总部 |
[25:11] | There something I could help you with? | 有没有什么我能帮您的 |
[25:15] | Uh, well, um… | 呃 那 |
[25:19] | First, notwithstanding | 第一 别的不说 |
[25:22] | I don’t know if I could do this | 我不知道我是否还能继续 |
[25:24] | much longer, progressive lawyering. | 做下去了 改革执律 |
[25:25] | You see, I’m not accustomed without William. | 我不习惯没有威廉的日子 |
[25:28] | The criminal side of our practice funded | 我们代理的刑事案件提供了 |
[25:31] | our policy and legal challenges, | 我们的政策和司法挑战的资金 |
[25:33] | as in defendants’ rights, uh, | 关于被告权利方面 |
[25:35] | prison conditions, | 关于监狱条件 |
[25:37] | and drafted attacks on state and federal criminal codes. | 还有起草对州立和联邦法律条文的辩驳 |
[25:40] | If I was freed from criminal work, | 如果我能免于做刑事工作 |
[25:42] | I can get back to my roots. | 我就能回到本意 |
[25:43] | The bigger battles, organized mass action | 由彻底司法挑战引领的 更重要的战斗 |
[25:46] | supported by sweeping legal challenges. | 有组织的群众运动 |
[25:48] | With my skill | 凭借我的能力 |
[25:51] | and, uh, experience | 以及 经验 |
[25:53] | I’m-I’m quite certain I can get this organization | 我很确定我能带领这个组织 |
[25:55] | right back in line with its core beliefs. | 回到其核心价值的正路上 |
[25:59] | – This organization? – Yes. | – 这个组织 – 对 |
[26:00] | Yeah. I-I wasn’t aware that we, um, had strayed. | 哦 我并不知道我们本来陷入僵局了 |
[26:04] | Well, I’m not talking about nickel-and-dime reformism. | 我说的不是小打小闹的改良主义 |
[26:06] | I’m talking about igniting a sustained mass movement, | 我说的是引领一场持续的群众运动 |
[26:11] | supported by rule change and injunctive relief. | 由规则改变和禁令救济支撑 |
[26:14] | And I could get results using class-action tactics. | 我可以使用集体诉讼的战略取得成果 |
[26:18] | I’m talking about a return to using activist litigation | 我说的是回到 防卫性地 反攻性地 |
[26:21] | creatively, defensively, counter-offensively. | 创意性地运用行动派诉讼 |
[26:24] | I am very proud of what we’ve done here. | 我对我们在这里完成的事十分骄傲 |
[26:26] | I think we’re making significant headway in many, many areas. | 我认为我们在很多很多领域都取得了很大的进展 |
[26:30] | Well, in my experience, that’s, uh, | 在我的经验里 那 |
[26:33] | an excuse to-to feel good and to slack off. | 只是一个让自己感觉良好然后松懈的借口 |
[26:36] | Oh. Who’s slacking off? | 哦 谁松懈了 |
[26:42] | I attended Western State College of Law | 我毕业于富勒顿的阿尔格西大学 |
[26:44] | at Argosy in Fullerton. Started the first student union there. | 西部州立法律学院 创建了那里的第一届学生会 |
[26:51] | I chose cause over ambition. | 我认为道义比雄心重要 |
[26:55] | I could’ve joined one of the big firms | 我本可以加入一个大律所 |
[26:56] | like the rest of them, and been seduced. | 像其他人一样被诱惑 |
[26:59] | But I was inspired by Mr. Jackson. | 但我受Jackson先生的鼓舞 |
[27:01] | I went to work for him. You can… | 我去为他工作 你可以… |
[27:03] | There’s a detailed record of all of our victories. | 那上边列举了所有我们胜利的详细记录 |
[27:07] | Civil rights victories on there. | 关于人权的胜利 |
[27:08] | As for my personal life, at a certain point | 至于我的个人生活 在一个特定的时候 |
[27:10] | I had to decide whether to have a family or career. | 我必须决定是要家庭还是事业 |
[27:13] | I couldn’t do both. | 我不能二者兼得 |
[27:14] | So I stayed on the front lines. Now, I’m offering | 所以我留在了前线上 现在 我提供机会 |
[27:19] | at this time… | 在这时候… |
[27:22] | to work, exclusively… | 为你们独家工作… |
[27:27] | as your, um… | 作为你们的… |
[27:30] | long-haul, three-dimensional, | 着眼长远 角度多维 |
[27:32] | revolutionary, | 革命性的 |
[27:34] | in-house, | 在职 |
[27:37] | full-time, paid advocate. | 全职 有偿代理人 |
[27:46] | Mr. Israel, we’re all volunteers here. | Israel先生 我们这里都是志愿者 |
[27:49] | Our few salaried staff work out of D.C. | 少部分有偿员工都在首都外工作 |
[27:55] | I’d go to interview, but I’m precluded for pecuniary reasons. | 我也想去面试 但由于经济方面的原因无法成行 |
[27:59] | Money of late’s been a motivating factor in my life. | 金钱是我生命中惯有的当下之急 |
[28:03] | Well, | 那 |
[28:05] | be that as it may, uh, | 即使如此 |
[28:07] | positions are filled. | 我们的职位都满了 |
[28:12] | Look, I’m well worth having in this thing. | 听着 我绝对能胜任这个的 |
[28:14] | I have no doubt of that. | 我对此毫不怀疑 |
[28:16] | Because there’s something to be fired up about. | 因为还有不少应当做的事 |
[28:18] | We are, believe me. | 我们在做 相信我 |
[28:23] | Ah, well, I’ll, um… | 啊 好吧 我 |
[28:28] | Go through William’s Rolodex. Thank you, uh, | 再去William的名片盒里翻翻 谢谢你 |
[28:32] | for your time. | 抽时间见面 |
[28:36] | You know, if you’re, uh, interested in volunteering | 您知道 如果您 有兴趣做志愿工 |
[28:40] | we’re having a meeting next week. | 我们下周要开个会 |
[28:42] | We could use someone with your legal expertise. | 我们需要您这种有丰富法律经验的人 |
[28:45] | Perhaps you could give a talk. | 或许您能做场讲座 |
[28:46] | I’d like that. Here’s my card. | 我愿意 这是我的名片 |
[28:50] | I crossed out the office address. | 我划掉了办公室地址 |
[28:53] | And I wrote my home address, so you can reach me via mail. | 然后写上了家的地址 你可以寄邮件给我 |
[28:57] | I’ll probably just text you. | 我可能就给你发短信了 |
[28:59] | I can do that, I think. | 我觉得这样可以 |
[29:02] | – Thank you. – Yeah. Thank you. | – 谢谢你 – 嗯 谢谢 |
[29:04] | Right on. | 加油 |
[29:12] | What a freak. | 真是个怪人 |
[29:14] | You stand on his shoulders. | 你就站在他的肩膀上 |
[29:26] | Good afternoon. Yeah, my name is Roman J. Israel, Esquire. | 下午好 对 我的名字是Roman J. Israel阁下 |
[29:31] | Yeah, Israel. Yes. | 对 Israel 是 |
[29:33] | Yes, like the… Like… Yes, right, exactly. | 是 就和… 和… 对 对 |
[29:36] | I’m an attorney, civil rights attorney. | 我是个律师 人权律师 |
[29:37] | I was inquiring about a possible job… | 我打来是询问在招的一份工作… |
[29:40] | Uh, yes, ma’am. | 呃 对 女士 |
[29:42] | Right, if I… If… | 对 如果我…如果 |
[29:43] | Right, ma’am, if I had a job, I wouldn’t be calling you. | 对 女士 如果我有工作 我就不会打给你了 |
[29:46] | That’s why I’m calling. I don’t have… Hello? | 那就是我打来的原因 我没有…喂 |
[29:48] | …C-K-S-O-N. And I’d like to speak to someone | …C-K-S-O-N 我想和任何 |
[29:51] | about any possible positions… | 有任何职位需求的人谈… |
[29:52] | Yeah, I’ll reach out again. | 好的 我会再打来的 |
[29:54] | In case any jobs come up, I’d appreciate a call back. | 如果有任何职位招人 能给我个电话就太好了 |
[29:57] | Yeah, good morning. My name is Roman J. Israel, Esquire. | 嗯 早上好 我的名字是Roman J. Israel阁下 |
[29:59] | I can send you my résumé. | 我可以把简历寄给你 |
[30:01] | I was with William Henry Jackson. | 我本来与William Henry Jackson合伙 |
[30:03] | I’m hoping to find if there’s an employment opportunity… | 我想询问这里需不需要雇人… |
[30:06] | No, not the number that’s crossed out. | 不 不是我划掉那个电话 |
[30:08] | It’s the number below the number that’s crossed out. | 是那个划掉的电话下边写的电话 |
[30:10] | Yes, ma’am. Thank you. | 是的 女士 谢谢你 |
[30:21] | Um, Mr. Israel? | 呃 Israel先生 |
[30:23] | George Pierce would like you in his office right away. | George Pierce现在可以在办公室见您了 |
[30:26] | The best thing to do is engage fully with the process. | 最好方法就是全程参与其中 |
[30:28] | Otherwise, you feel powerless, and you… | 不然 你会感到无力 然后你… |
[30:30] | Come on in. | 进来 |
[30:32] | Roman, I’d like you to meet Felicity Ellerbee. | Roman 我想让你认识一下Felicity Ellerbee |
[30:34] | – Felicity, this is Roman Israel. – Hi. | – Felicity 这是Roman Israel – 嗨 |
[30:36] | He’ll be working closely with me on this. Sit down. | 他在这件事上会和我紧密合作 坐下 |
[30:39] | Roman’s a terrific attorney. We’re very lucky to have him. | Roman是个极其优秀的律师 我们很荣幸能请到他 |
[30:41] | Felicity’s nephew Derrell was arrested two days ago | Felicity的侄子Derrell两天前被逮捕了 |
[30:44] | in connection with an armed robbery | 缘由是一场持械抢劫 |
[30:46] | during which a clerk was sadly killed. | 之中有一名职员不幸遇害 |
[30:47] | Derrell’s been charged with assault, first-degree murder. | Derrell被控告的是袭击和一级谋杀 |
[30:51] | It was his friend that was there with him. It wasn’t Derrell. | 是和他在那的朋友干的 不是Derrell |
[30:54] | Derrell didn’t know that he was going to do that. | Derrell对他要这么做毫不知情 |
[30:57] | Of course. We completely understand. | 当然 我们完全理解 |
[30:59] | Derrell was not the shooter. | Derrell不是开枪者 |
[31:01] | It’s our job to prove how uncomplicit | 我们的工作就是证明 |
[31:03] | he was in the actual murder. | 他和谋杀毫无关系 |
[31:05] | The way this will work is | 工作的方式将会是 |
[31:06] | Roman’s gonna be the point person. | Roman会作为负责人 |
[31:08] | And you were very, very wise to retain private counsel. | 而您选择雇佣私人律师十分明智 |
[31:11] | I’m not gonna lie to you, | 我不会和你说谎 |
[31:12] | Derrell’s got a mountain to climb. | Derrell前边的困难大着呢 |
[31:14] | It’s imperative he receives the best defense. | 他理应得到最好的辩护 |
[31:16] | I can promise you that’s what he’ll get here. | 我保证你在这他可以得到 |
[31:20] | I had to mortgage my house. | 我不得不按揭我的房子 |
[31:22] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 哦 我很抱歉 |
[31:24] | I don’t like lawyers. | 我不喜欢律师 |
[31:25] | Me either. | 我也是 |
[31:26] | I understand. | 我能理解 |
[31:27] | If I don’t get answers to my questions, | 如果我问的问题没有回答 |
[31:30] | if I don’t see results, | 如果我看不到结果 |
[31:32] | if I see padded shit popping up in my bill, | 如果我发现我账单里有大宗没用的东西 |
[31:35] | I will fire your ass. | 我就要炒了你 |
[31:37] | I’m putting up my house. | 我已经搭上房子了 |
[31:40] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[31:43] | You always dress like that? | 你总穿成这样吗 |
[31:46] | Ah, well, uh, in lieu of wardrobe, | 嗯 我的声誉不在穿搭 |
[31:50] | I have a reputation as a dedicated advocate. | 而在我作为敬业的辩护人 |
[31:52] | Let me give you my card. If there’s any questions | 我给你我的名片 如果有任何问题 |
[31:54] | concerns, anything you want to talk about, day and night, | 思虑 任何你想要谈的 无论昼夜 |
[31:56] | free of charge, I’m here. I’m available for you. | 免费 我就在这 为你服务 |
[31:59] | It’s not the crossed-out number. | 不是那个划掉了的号码 |
[32:00] | It’s the number above the crossed-out number. | 是那个划掉了的号码上边的那个 |
[32:03] | What’s “Esquire” Mean? | “阁下”是什么意思 |
[32:05] | Uh, it’s a designation, uh, | 呃 那是个头衔 |
[32:08] | in the legal arena. | 在法律方面的 |
[32:10] | It’s like | 就像是 |
[32:12] | a title of dignity. | 荣誉称号 |
[32:13] | Slightly above gentleman, below knight. | 在绅士之上一点 骑士之下 |
[32:23] | Yes. | 喂 |
[32:26] | Come in. | 进来 |
[32:28] | Roman, I’d like you to meet James Lee. | Roman 我想让你认识一下James Lee |
[32:29] | Jim, this is Roman Israel. | Jim 这是Roman Israel |
[32:31] | He’ll be working closely with me on this. | 他在这件事上会和我紧密合作 |
[32:33] | – Hi. – Please sit down, Roman. | – 嗨 – 请坐 Roman |
[32:35] | Roman’s a terrific attorney. We’re very lucky to have him. | Roman是个极其优秀的律师 我们很荣幸能请到他 |
[32:38] | Jim’s wife, Mari, was cited last night | Jim的妻子 Mari昨晚被标记了 |
[32:40] | for felony DUI hit and run, | 罪名是重罪酒驾肇事逃逸 |
[32:42] | with added charges for reckless driving and injury. | 还有另外的鲁莽驾驶至伤罪名 |
[32:44] | The way this will work is | 工作的方式将会是 |
[32:46] | Roman’s gonna be the point person. | Roman会作为负责人 |
[32:47] | You were very wise to retain private counsel. | 您选择雇佣私人律师十分明智 |
[32:50] | Mari’s… She’s gonna need, and deserves, | Mari…她需要 理应得到 |
[32:52] | the best defense possible. | 最好的辩护 |
[32:53] | We’re gonna make sure she gets exactly that. | 我们会确保她可以得到 |
[33:07] | From George. | George给的 |
[33:10] | It’s at that point, per the night manager, | 在那个时候 根据夜班经理说 |
[33:12] | that Derrell’s friend, Carter Johnson | Derrell的朋友 Carter Johnson |
[33:14] | shoots the clerk twice in the head. | 向职员头上开了两枪 |
[33:16] | – Okay. – They empty the register, | – 好的 – 他们拿光了收银机 |
[33:18] | roughly $500, and then run into the alleyway | 大概500美元 之后跑到了巷子里 |
[33:21] | where Derrell is caught and Johnson escapes. | Derrell在那被抓 Johnson逃跑了 |
[33:23] | Johnson is a shot caller with the Rollin 100. | Johnson是Rollin100帮的主犯 |
[33:26] | He’s got four outstanding warrants, | 他吃过四张逮捕令 |
[33:28] | including two for prior shootings. | 包括两张射击案的前科 |
[33:30] | Now, your boy Derrell is… | 现在 你那孩子Derrell是… |
[33:32] | Don’t use “Boy.” | 别说”孩子” |
[33:34] | Your client is seen entering the store on the outside camera | 你的客户被外部摄像头拍到进入商店 |
[33:38] | but the inside video wasn’t working. | 但内部摄像头没有工作 |
[33:40] | The Armenian Community Council | 亚美尼亚裔社区委员会 |
[33:42] | put up $100,000 for Johnson’s arrest | 悬赏100,000美金逮捕Johnson |
[33:44] | for the clerk, who was Armenian. | 因为柜员是亚美尼亚人 |
[33:47] | Your client Derrell has two priors going back four years. | 你的客户Derrell四年前有两件前科 |
[33:51] | Uh, one for drug possession, marijuana, | 呃 一件是毒品持有 大麻 |
[33:53] | and the other for theft. | 另一件是盗窃 |
[33:58] | I have a domestic violence case. | 我有一件家暴案 |
[34:00] | This guy assaulted the same woman six times, | 这个男的袭击了同一个女人六次 |
[34:02] | and she’s swearing out an affidavit for non-prosecution. | 然后她还是做了不起诉的宣誓证词 |
[34:05] | – Have you heard of Tempura House? – No. What’s that? | – 你听说过天妇罗屋吗 – 没有 那是什么 |
[34:08] | It’s a shelter for lightly battered women. | 是座给被打的[裹了面糊的]女人的庇护所 |
[34:12] | That’s funny. That’s funny. | 有意思 真有意思 |
[34:18] | Turn on the light, they run like roaches. | 灯一开 跑地像蟑螂 |
[34:23] | You work here? | 你在这工作吗 |
[34:25] | Yes, sir, I do. | 是的 先生 |
[34:27] | Jessie Salinas. | |
[34:29] | Supervising attorney. | 监察律师 |
[34:32] | Roman J. Israel. I’m the new guy. | Roman J. Israel 我是新来的 |
[34:35] | Did you just compare us to roaches? | 你刚刚把我们比作蟑螂吗 |
[34:39] | There’s no tiptoeing into this. | 没什么值得 |
[34:41] | We’re just blowing off steam… | 我们不如就消消气 |
[34:42] | You’re tourists. | 你们只是旁观者 |
[34:50] | I’ll see you around, Israel. | 下次见啊 Israel |
[35:01] | Roman. | |
[35:06] | Jesus. | 天啊 |
[35:08] | I heard about you today in the kitchen. | 我听说了你今天在厨房的事 |
[35:10] | Salinas is our number two. | Salinas是我们的二把手 |
[35:12] | Not only that, you were schooling | 不仅那个 你还在全是人的电梯 |
[35:14] | Sanchez in a crowded elevator? | 给Sanchez上了一课吗 |
[35:16] | That man doesn’t understand character evidence. | 那个人一点都不了解品格证据 |
[35:18] | Then find a quiet corner. | 那找个没人的地方教 |
[35:19] | I sent you an e-mail today to come to my office. | 我今天给你发了封电邮让你到办公室来 |
[35:22] | I’m sorry, but when people send e-mails, | 我很抱歉 但当人们发电邮的时候 |
[35:24] | they think it goes straight to your brain. | 就觉得是直接发到脑子里了吧 |
[35:26] | You better take what I’m saying seriously, | 你最好对我和你说的认真点 |
[35:28] | because I’m being very sincere with you. | 因为我对你十分真诚 |
[35:30] | You knew what you were getting when you brought me in. | 你请我来的时候就知道请来的是什么了 |
[35:33] | Well, I thought you were functional. | 我本以为你很有用 |
[35:34] | I think you brought me in to put your feet to the fire, | 我认为你带我来是逼自己一把 |
[35:37] | ’cause you’re tired of | 因为你厌倦了 |
[35:38] | treating low-income clients like dollar signs, | 对待低收入的客户只看到钱 |
[35:40] | and maybe you remember what it feels like to care. | 而或许你想起了在乎是什么感受 |
[35:43] | That’s what I think, George. | 我认为是这样 George |
[35:44] | No, I hired you to make a buck. | 不 我雇你来是赚钱的 |
[35:46] | Which is why I thought you took the job. | 我以为那是你接受工作的原因 |
[35:47] | I need money. Heh. Badly, of course. | 我需要钱 特别需要 |
[35:50] | But what I really need, George, is an ally. | 但是我真正需要的 George 是个伙伴 |
[35:53] | I’ve been waiting to meet someone of your high caliber. | 我一直在等能遇到比你资格更深的人 |
[35:56] | And, yes, I am selective. | 而且 是的 我是挑剔 |
[35:58] | So what I’m offering to you right out here now | 所以我现在在这里提供给你的 |
[36:00] | is a chance to partner with me | 是一个和我合伙的机会 |
[36:02] | on a piece of groundbreaking litigation | 完成一件奠基的诉讼 |
[36:04] | I’ve been working on for over seven years now. | 我已经做了七年的工作了 |
[36:07] | Inside this case is arguably | 在这个箱子里可能是 |
[36:09] | the most important legal brief in modern legal history. | 现代法史上最重要的诉讼摘要 |
[36:12] | A sweeping federal challenge that could yield nothing less | 一项根源性的联邦司法挑战只可能 |
[36:16] | than a grand new era of social reform. | 带来一个社会改革的全新时代 |
[36:18] | And I say that with all due competence. | 我说这话有十足的信心 |
[36:22] | The Constitution guarantees us a right to a fair trial, | 宪法向我们保证有接受公正审判的权利 |
[36:24] | but there can’t be any fairness | 但如果95%的案子从未上庭 |
[36:26] | if 95 percent of all cases never get heard. | 那又谈何公正可言 |
[36:28] | Criminal cases never get heard by a jury or a judge. | 刑事案件从未被陪审团或法官审问过 |
[36:30] | I am building a wholly original class-action lawsuit | 我要打造一个全新的集体诉讼 |
[36:35] | with over 3500 names, all former clients | 有超过3500个名字 全是前客户 |
[36:37] | aimed at the heart of plea-bargain reform. | 意指辫诉交易的核心改革 |
[36:39] | I’m talking about reforming a system where prosecutors | 我说的是要改革这个检察官 |
[36:42] | are trying to pull sentences out of their hat. | 随心所欲定罪的系统 |
[36:44] | Where guilt or innocence is being completely replaced | 而有罪或无辜都变成了 |
[36:47] | by fear of having your day in court. | 对你上庭一天的恐惧 |
[36:49] | Where people are being forced, George , to plead guilty | 在过度严苛与强硬的判决的威胁下 George |
[36:52] | under the threat of overly harsh and coercive sentences. | 这里人们被强迫不得不认罪 |
[36:57] | It’s a job for a legend, or someone who wants to be one. | 这是份给一个传奇的工作 或是一个想成为传奇的人 |
[37:02] | Let me tell you about it. | 我再和你细说 |
[37:03] | No, no, no. Jesus, just stop. | 不不不 天 停下吧 |
[37:05] | Roman, enough. | Roman 够了 |
[37:07] | Not speaking out | 不敢发声 |
[37:10] | is ordinary. | 是庸常 |
[37:12] | We’re agents of change, George, each one of us. | 我们是改变的执行者 George 我们都是 |
[37:14] | Now, I don’t have the resources to finish this on my own. | 我没有独立完成这个的资源 |
[37:18] | But with your assistance, I’m more than certain | 但有了你的帮助 我十分确信 |
[37:21] | that we can finish this and file it together. | 我们能完成这个 一起提交 |
[37:24] | Partners on a landmark class-action suit | 标志性集体诉讼上的合伙人 |
[37:28] | built on precedents and procedure | 这案子建立在先例 程序 |
[37:30] | and actual proof, weight of proof. | 和真凭实据上 足量的证据 |
[37:33] | I’m sure of it, George. | 我很确信 George |
[37:34] | Look, do you want this job or not? Yes or no. | 听着 你到底想要这份工作吗 想不想 |
[37:36] | – Yes. – Then you stop harassing people. | – 想 – 那你就别去骚扰别人 |
[37:39] | You stick to clients, you stick to memoranda only. That’s it. | 你跟好客户 做好法律文书 就这样 |
[37:43] | Nothing else, under no conditions. | 别的无论什么 一律别干 |
[37:45] | Now, you have any more pressing opinions, | 你要是还有不吐不快的 |
[37:49] | you share them with me. | 可以和我说 |
[37:53] | Don’t come in tomorrow without a suit. | 明天别不穿西装就来 |
[38:05] | Okay. | 好的 |
[38:23] | Driver’s license, California Bar card, visitor ID. | 驾照 加州执法卡 来访编号 |
[38:26] | Yes. | 好的 |
[38:27] | I’m here to see Derrell Ellerbee. | 我来见Derrell Ellerbee |
[38:31] | How they treating you? | 他们对你如何 |
[38:34] | You need anything? | 你需要什么吗 |
[38:36] | I need to get out of here. | 我需要从这出去 |
[38:37] | You understand the charges? | 你明白控告的罪名吗 |
[38:39] | Yup. They want to bury me. | 嗯 他们想埋了我 |
[38:42] | All right. From now on, | 好的 从现在开始 |
[38:44] | everything we discuss will be confidential. | 我们讨论的一切都是保密的 |
[38:47] | I gotta be careful. | 我必须得小心 |
[38:49] | Is somebody threatening you? | 有谁威胁你吗 |
[38:50] | Look, I didn’t shoot that guy. | 听着 我没射那个家伙 |
[38:52] | Okay? I just went in. | 好吗 我只是一起进去 |
[38:55] | I didn’t know what he was gonna do. | 我不知道他要干什么 |
[38:58] | You gave a statement to the police. | 你和警察谈了话 |
[38:59] | Yeah, I asked for a lawyer. | 是 我说要个律师 |
[39:01] | And before that, | 在那之前 |
[39:03] | after they read you your rights, | 在他们宣读了你的权利之后 |
[39:05] | you continued to talk to the detective. | 你还和警探说了 |
[39:07] | They said you said | 他们说你说 |
[39:09] | that you saw Carter Johnson with a gun. | 你看到Carter Johnson拿着枪 |
[39:11] | I didn’t know he was gonna use it. | 我不知道他会用啊 |
[39:14] | Knowing he had a gun when you entered the store | 你进店的时候知道他持枪 |
[39:16] | that’s aiding and abetting. | 那是协助教唆 |
[39:18] | Criteria for first-degree murder. | 一级谋杀的条件之一 |
[39:20] | CJ. CJ shot the clerk. | CJ CJ杀了柜员 |
[39:26] | All right? I saw it. | 好吗 我只是看到了 |
[39:28] | I’ll testify if they let me out. | 如果他们让我出去我可以作证 |
[39:30] | They’re not gonna release you. | 他们是不会让你出去的 |
[39:31] | Case is too strong, charges too severe. | 案子太充分 罪名太严重 |
[39:34] | Now we can talk to the DA. | 现在我们可以和地检谈谈 |
[39:36] | See what they’ll offer for your testimony. | 看看他们给你的证词开什么条件 |
[39:40] | Probation? | 假释吗 |
[39:43] | Best you can hope for is | 你能期望的最好就是 |
[39:45] | a possible reduction to second-degree murder. | 可能减轻到二级谋杀 |
[39:52] | Right over here. | 过去 |
[39:54] | Have a seat if you’re so scared, man. | 这么怕就坐下吧 老兄 |
[39:58] | Look, I know where CJ’s holed up. | 听着 我知道CJ藏在哪 |
[40:03] | Plus testifying. | 加上作证 |
[40:06] | What’s that worth? | 那值多少 |
[40:08] | Worth a lot. | 值很多 |
[40:09] | The two combined can carry significant weight. | 两者加起来十分重要 |
[40:12] | But you understand the risks? | 但你理解风险吗 |
[40:14] | What you’re looking at? | 理解你之后的路吗 |
[40:15] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[40:16] | I gotta be transferred to protective custody first. | 我必须先转到保护性监禁去 |
[40:20] | This what you want to do? | 这是你想做的吗 |
[40:23] | I don’t want to, | 我不想做 |
[40:26] | but I will. | 但我会做 |
[40:39] | Hello? | 你好 |
[40:51] | No one’s supposed to be in here. | 没人可以进来 |
[40:53] | Oh, I’m sorry. I’m… I’m… | 哦 我很抱歉 我 |
[40:54] | I’m an attorney here, and I was looking | 我是这的律师 我想找 |
[40:57] | for Mr. Pierce. I wanted to talk to him about this case. | Pierce先生 我想找他谈谈这个案子 |
[41:00] | He’s in depositions all day. | 他整天都在取证 |
[41:02] | Mr. Salinas is supervising attorney in his absence. | 他不在的时候Salinas先生是监督律师 |
[41:05] | You’ll have to leave. | 你得离开了 |
[41:07] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[41:10] | I don’t know why they sent me this. I need more than this. | 我不知道他们为什么给我发这个 我需要更多东西 |
[41:13] | That’s all we got. | 我们只有这么多了 |
[41:14] | I don’t want the summary. | 我不想要摘要 |
[41:16] | – I want the full deposition here. – Okay. | – 我想要取证的全记录 – 好的 |
[41:18] | And what about tomorrow? What’s my agenda? | 那明天呢 我的日程是什么 |
[41:20] | – You’re downtown all day. – What is first? | – 你全天都在市里 – 第一件是什么 |
[41:22] | Mr. Rutner at 9 a.M. | 早9点Rutner先生 |
[41:24] | No, I don’t want to meet with him. | 不 我不想见他 |
[41:38] | – Hello? – Ah, hello. | – 你好 – 啊 你好 |
[41:40] | My name is Roman J. Israel, Esquire | 我的名字是Roman J. Israel阁下 |
[41:42] | from the law offices of George Pierce. | 供职于George Pierce律所 |
[41:45] | I represent Derrell Ellerbee. | 我代理Derrell Ellerbee |
[41:47] | I’d like to speak to ADA Kate Becker. | 我想和检察官Kate Becker谈话 |
[41:51] | Speaking. | 请说 |
[41:53] | Oh. Oh, okay. Sorry. | 哦 哦 好 抱歉 |
[41:56] | – Uh, h-hi. – Hi. | – 呃 嗨 – 嗨 |
[41:58] | My client, Mr. Derrell Ellerbee | 我的客户 Derrell Ellerbee先生 |
[42:02] | is interested in discussing a deal. | 有兴趣谈一桩交易 |
[42:05] | I have 40 open cases, so refresh me. | 我在办40个案子 提醒我一下 |
[42:08] | Right, uh, uh… | 好 呃 |
[42:09] | Convenience store shooting. | 便利店枪击案 |
[42:12] | An Armenian man was killed, and there’s a reward offered? | 亚美尼加人遇害 还有悬赏的 |
[42:16] | Uh-huh. Okay, I have it. | 呃 好的 我找到了 |
[42:18] | The shooter, | 枪手 |
[42:20] | in this case, is a fugitive | 在这件案子里 是个逃犯 |
[42:23] | Carter Johnson. | |
[42:25] | My client may know his whereabouts | 我的客户或许知道他的行踪 |
[42:28] | and might be willing to testify. | 也许愿意作证 |
[42:30] | He’ll deliver on that? | 他会都说吗 |
[42:31] | Well, that depends. | 那看情况 |
[42:33] | If you waive all objections and appeal, | 如果你们放弃抗辩和上诉 |
[42:35] | and he’s willing to cooperate, | 而他愿意合作 |
[42:37] | then we’ll drop the assault and kidnapping. | 那我们可以放弃控告袭击和绑架罪 |
[42:39] | And we’ll reduce murder one | 我们还会把一级谋杀 |
[42:40] | to manslaughter, voluntary, 10 years. | 减为故意过失杀人 十年 |
[42:43] | Involuntary, three to five. | 无故意 三到五年 |
[42:44] | No, a 21-year-old clerk was killed | 不 一个21岁的柜员遇害 |
[42:46] | in a commission of a robbery. | 在抢劫实施过程中 |
[42:48] | It won’t happen. | 这样不行的 |
[42:49] | Well my client is giving you the whole case | 我的客户冒着自身的极大风险 |
[42:52] | at a great risk to himself. | 帮你办完本案 |
[42:54] | Let’s discuss mitigating circumstances. | 我们谈谈减罪条件吧 |
[42:55] | Let’s not. Voluntary manslaughter, 10 years. | 不用了 故意杀人罪 10年 |
[42:59] | It’s a good deal. | 条件不错了 |
[43:00] | It’s an enema of sunshine. | 花言巧语而已 |
[43:02] | I don’t have time for this. | 我没时间听这个 |
[43:04] | Well, I’m sorry for taking a nanosecond | 我很抱歉占用了你一纳秒 |
[43:06] | off of your assembly-line, rubber-stamp existence. | 流水线中橡皮图章的存在 |
[43:09] | The People withdraw their offer. | 人民撤回条件 |
[43:11] | I don’t care what the… Hello? | 我才不在乎…喂 |
[43:38] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[43:41] | – Hi. – Hey. | – 嗨 – 嘿 |
[43:42] | You didn’t want to park closer? There are spaces. | 你不想停的近点吗 还有地方 |
[43:45] | No, I don’t have a car. | 不 我没有车 |
[43:47] | Wow, that’s gotta be tough in L.A. | 哇 那在洛杉矶可太难了 |
[43:49] | I’ve always imagined life with one. | 我一直想象有车的生活 |
[43:52] | Thanks for doing this. | 谢谢你能来 |
[43:54] | Oh, you’re welcome. | 哦 不客气 |
[43:55] | Public speaking is something | 公开演讲通常是 |
[43:57] | I’m usually encouraged to avoid. | 人们请我别去做的 |
[44:01] | So in anticipation of Tuesday’s protest, | 为了周二的抗议做准备 |
[44:04] | I’ve invited attorney | 我请来了律师 |
[44:07] | Roman Israel | |
[44:10] | to talk about our rights, | 来讲讲我们的权利 |
[44:11] | and what to expect if you are arrested. | 还有被逮捕后会发生的事 |
[44:14] | Roman. | |
[44:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[44:22] | All right. | 好了 |
[44:26] | Back to my beginnings. | 回到我的起点了 |
[44:29] | It feels good. | 感觉很好 |
[44:35] | Hell, that was 40 years ago. So here we go. We’re gonna… | 天 那都是40年前了 我们开始吧 我们要… |
[44:39] | We’re gonna rap… I don’t mean hip-hop. | 我们要说两句…我不是指嘻哈 |
[44:44] | …A little while about some good old-fashioned | 一些关于老式的 |
[44:48] | grassroots, in-your-face protesting. | 草根的 侵略性的抗议的事 |
[44:53] | The time has come to put social revolution | 把社会革命引领回 |
[44:57] | squarely back on the agenda | 其本属于的理念 |
[45:00] | where it belongs. | 的时候到来了 |
[45:03] | Look at you. | 看看你们 |
[45:08] | Just like I was. | 一如曾经的我 |
[45:11] | Just starting out your fight against | 刚刚开始你们对 |
[45:16] | the dominant tendencies of our society. | 我们社会中主导倾向的抗争 |
[45:19] | Well, | 嗯 |
[45:21] | you better get ready for the commitment it takes | 你们最好准备好立下决意 |
[45:24] | to lead a resistant lifestyle. | 以一种抗争的姿态生活 |
[45:26] | You better start forging | 你们最好开始打造 |
[45:28] | the armor to withstand the temptation | 一副甲胄来抵抗诱惑 |
[45:32] | and the financial and emotional toll. | 抵抗金融和情感上的代价 |
[45:35] | Because when it comes to social injustice | 因为当谈到社会不公 |
[45:38] | and judicial indifference | 和司法冷漠 |
[45:40] | and institutional racism | 和体制性种族主义 |
[45:42] | and outright goddamn greed | 和那无可抑制的该死贪婪 |
[45:44] | the overwhelming majority of the people | 这个国家的绝大部分人 |
[45:46] | in this country just don’t give a damn. | 丝毫不关心 |
[45:48] | – That’s right. – That’s right. | – 对 – 对 |
[45:51] | Civil or uncivil disobedience. | 公民或非公民的不服从 |
[45:53] | The First Amendment to protect your right to freedom of speech | 第一修正案要保护你的言论自由的权利 |
[45:56] | as long as you don’t incite violence or law-breaking. | 只要你和暴力与违法无关 |
[46:01] | And there are gonna be people that get caught up in the march. | 而还是会有人在游行中被逮捕 |
[46:04] | They’re gonna vandalize. They’re… I’m sorry. Excuse me. | 他们就是要破坏 他们…不好意思 |
[46:06] | I see two sisters standing. | 我看到两个姊妹站着 |
[46:08] | Why are the sisters standing and the brothers sitting? | 为什么兄弟们坐着姊妹们站着 |
[46:12] | If we wanna sit, we can ask. | 如果我们想坐 我们自己能说 |
[46:13] | Well, you ladies gotta speak up for yourselves. | 你们女士们要敢为自己说话 |
[46:16] | This ain’t 40 years ago. | 这又不是40年前了 |
[46:18] | There’s no statute of limitations on chivalry. | 对待绅士风度没有时间限制 |
[46:21] | – That’s gendered and sexist. – And polite. | – 那是性别论断 性别歧视 – 还是礼貌 |
[46:24] | – And patronizing. – And polite. | – 还是居高临下 – 还是礼貌 |
[46:27] | What kind of law do you practice? | 你主攻哪个方面的法律 |
[46:31] | I’m a criminal defense attorney. | 我是个刑事辩护律师 |
[46:35] | You ever represent domestic violence defendants? | 你代理过家暴的被告吗 |
[46:37] | Many times. | 很多次 |
[46:38] | Knowing that they’re guilty? | 本知道他们是有罪吗 |
[46:40] | Meaning what? | 什么意思 |
[46:41] | Meaning you have a choice. | 意思是你本有选择 |
[46:43] | Watch it. Someday you may need the Sixth Amendment. | 注意了 有一天你可能要援引第六修正案 |
[46:45] | Oh, that’s lawyer talk. | 哦 典型的律师话 |
[46:48] | Oh, I see. So we got a Sarah Lawrence | 哦 我懂了 我们这有个莎拉劳伦斯学院的 |
[46:50] | soul sister in the band. | 的好姊妹在我们之中 |
[46:52] | Ha, ha, I’m not your sister, asshole. | 哈哈 我不是你的姊妹 混蛋 |
[46:54] | Oh, whoa, whoa… | 哦 喔 喔 |
[46:55] | I’m not an asshole, sister. | 我不是混蛋 姊妹 |
[46:56] | Hey, fuck you, brother. | 嘿 操你的 兄弟 |
[46:59] | Settle down, okay? Thank you, Roman. | 冷静点 好吗 谢谢你了 Roman |
[47:01] | – Okay. – Did you bring something to help? | – 好的 – 你这就说不过了吧 |
[47:06] | Roman. | |
[47:11] | I feel like I need to apologize for that. | 我觉得我需要为那个道歉 |
[47:14] | No you don’t. It’s my fault. I say things. | 不 你不用 是我的错 我就是口不择言 |
[47:16] | – Are you okay? – No, I… Yeah, it’s okay. | – 你还好吗 – 不 我…没事的 |
[47:19] | It just got out of hand. | 就是脱离控制了 |
[47:20] | My meanings seem to obfuscate more than clarify. | 我的意思只会被搞混而无法澄清 |
[47:23] | I mean, that’s what the discourse is. | 我是说 那才是演讲的意义 |
[47:26] | – It’s changed over the years. – Right. | – 在这些年间都变了 – 对 |
[47:28] | – It’s what we talked about. – You did. | – 我们说的就是这个 – 确实 |
[47:29] | That’s a lot of what this is about. | 确实很大程度是关于这个 |
[47:31] | I just can’t seem to remove myself | 我就是不能将自己 |
[47:33] | from what’s happened in my life. I… | 和生命中发生的事分离开 我… |
[47:37] | This is where we are, the way the world is. | 这就是我们 这就是世界 |
[47:38] | And I didn’t even want to come out. | 我本来都不想出生 |
[47:40] | The nuns said I was a forceps baby. | 修女们说我是被取出来的孩子 |
[47:43] | – Me too. – Yeah? | – 我也是 – 真的吗 |
[47:46] | – No. – No? | – 不是 – 不是吗 |
[47:47] | No. | 不是 |
[48:02] | Is he okay? | 他还好吗 |
[48:05] | I don’t feel anything. | 我什么都没感觉到 |
[48:06] | Check his neck. | 检查一下脖子 |
[48:12] | No. | 没有 |
[48:29] | What happened? | 出什么事了 |
[48:30] | We just found him. I think he’s dead. | 我们刚找到他 我认为他死了 |
[48:32] | All right, don’t touch anything. | 好了 什么都别碰 |
[48:36] | Man down, black male, 60 years of age. | 有人倒地 黑人男性 年龄60岁 |
[48:39] | Not responding. Request RA. | 无应答 请求医护 |
[48:43] | What did I just say? | 我刚说什么了 |
[48:44] | He doesn’t have ID. | 他没有身份证 |
[48:45] | What did you put in there? | 你往那放什么了 |
[48:46] | – My card. – Take it out. | – 我的名片 – 拿出来 |
[48:49] | Well, without ID | 没有身份证 |
[48:51] | he’ll get cremated and mixed up with 1000 other homeless people. | 他会被火化 和其他1000个流浪汉混在一起 |
[48:54] | Take it out. | 拿出来 |
[48:55] | It’s just my name and number for the coroner to call me. | 只是我的名字和电话 这样死因裁定官可以打给我 |
[48:58] | – Did you hear my partner? – Okay. | – 你听到我的搭档的话了吗 – 好了 |
[49:01] | – Do what they say. – I want to pay for the burial. | – 照他们说的做 – 我想为葬礼付钱 |
[49:03] | I’m not telling you again. | 我不会再说一遍了 |
[49:05] | I won’t let him get swallowed up. | 我不会让他被吞掉的 |
[49:06] | I won’t let him disappear, completely forgotten. | 我不会让他消失 被彻底遗忘 |
[49:08] | He most certainly was somebody. | 他生前也是个人 |
[49:29] | All Wilshire units. Possible 187. Suspect there now. | 所有威尔希尔小队 可能出现187 嫌犯在附近 |
[49:33] | Western and Third at Chinatown Express. | 中国城西路和第三大道交叉 |
[49:35] | Suspects are two male Hispanics. | 嫌犯为两名拉丁裔男子 |
[49:37] | Number one, large build… | 一号 壮实… |
[49:39] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[49:41] | What do you mean? That was unbelievable. | 你什么意思 那太难以置信了 |
[49:43] | I thought he had no pulse. | 我以为他没有脉搏了 |
[49:44] | No one does that. | 没人会那么做 |
[49:46] | Yeah, for good reason. | 是啊 是有原因的 |
[49:51] | Hey. Yeah, I-I stepped out. | 嘿 对 我出来了 |
[49:53] | I’ll be right back. | 我马上回去 |
[49:57] | – I have to get back. – Yeah. Okay. | – 我必须回去了 – 嗯 好 |
[50:01] | I’m gonna call you. | 我会给你打电话的 |
[50:02] | Yeah, thank you. Me too. | 嗯 谢谢 我也会的 |
[50:28] | We have a problem. | 我们有问题了 |
[50:31] | Come in. | 进来 |
[50:35] | Close the door. | 把门关上 |
[50:41] | Where did you get the idea you could try and negotiate a plea? | 你怎么想的以为自己可以去谈认罪协定 |
[50:44] | Who told you you could do that? | 谁和你说你可以了 |
[50:46] | To just ignore what I emphatically told you? | 就完全忽略了我强调给你的事了吗 |
[50:50] | Derrell Ellerbee was stabbed and killed | 就在今早的普通牢房 |
[50:52] | this morning in general lockup. | Derrell Ellerbee被刺遇害 |
[50:54] | His aunt told me that Derrell requested | 他的姑妈告诉我Derrell |
[50:55] | protective custody last night, | 昨晚要求保护监禁 |
[50:57] | but was delayed because the prosecutor said | 但是耽搁了就因为检察官说 |
[50:59] | you pissed on her deal, Roman. | 你对她的条件不屑一顾 Roman |
[51:01] | That offer should, by law, | 根据法律 那个条件应该 |
[51:03] | have been presented to the client, it was not. | 被告知给客户 但是没有 |
[51:05] | As of now, you’ve exposed us to a malpractice suit, | 而现在 你让我们有可能迎来一场玩忽职守诉讼 |
[51:07] | Roman, I would kill to be on the other side of. | Roman 我拼死也不想成为被告 |
[51:10] | You’ve had difficulty comprehending my meaning, | 你理解我的话有障碍 |
[51:12] | so I’ll be very, very clear. | 所以我会说的非常清楚 |
[51:15] | As much as I wanna fire you, I can’t, | 尽管我很想开除你 我不能 |
[51:17] | as that could be construed as acknowledgment of wrongdoing. | 因为那可能会被解释成见机行事 |
[51:19] | So I’m gonna retain you, Roman. | 所以我要留着你 Roman |
[51:22] | I’m gonna retain you, and then I’m gonna fire you. | 我要先留着你 之后我再炒了你 |
[51:25] | If you attempt to quit or you stop coming in | 如果你尝试辞职或不再来上班 |
[51:27] | I swear to God, I’ll hit you with a motion to recoup damages | 我向天发誓 我绝对提起动议让你补偿损失 |
[51:30] | and I’ll have you disbarred. | 还有我会让你失去从业资格 |
[51:33] | We’re done here. | 我们说完了 |
[51:57] | Yo, hey, man. Hey. | 哟 嘿 老兄 嘿 |
[51:59] | Yo, man, I’m sorry to bother you, man, but… | 哟 老兄 很抱歉打扰你 但是… |
[52:02] | Maybe you can help me out with money or some… | 也许你能给我点钱或者什么… |
[52:04] | I mean, anything. Look, you see where I’m at, man. | 我是说 什么都行 看 看我都成什么样了 老兄 |
[52:07] | All right. Slow down, slow down, slow down. | 好了 慢点 慢点说 |
[52:09] | Okay, man. I’m sorry. | 好 老兄 我很抱歉 |
[52:11] | Look, I appreciate it, man. Look, I know it’s late. | 听着 我很感激 老兄 我知道很晚了 |
[52:14] | I appreciate you helping me. Cool, man. | 我很感激你能帮我 谢谢 老兄 |
[52:16] | Here’s some tickets for the mission. | 这有两张进场的票 |
[52:18] | Give me the iPod, man! | 把iPod给我 |
[52:24] | – Give it to me. Come on. – Get off me. | – 给我 快 – 松开我 |
[52:26] | – The iPod! – I don’t have any money! | – 给我iPod – 我没有钱 |
[52:28] | – Come on! – You got the wrong guy! | – 快点 – 你找错人了 |
[52:30] | You got the wrong guy! | 你找错人了 |
[52:47] | You got the wrong guy. | 你找错人了 |
[53:24] | What? | 怎么 |
[53:30] | What? | 怎么 |
[54:19] | Well, well. | 哎呦 |
[54:20] | Come over and sit. He’ll be glad you’re here. | 过来坐吧 他很高兴你能来 |
[54:24] | He’s awake? | 他醒了吗 |
[54:26] | No, but I believe somewhere he knows. | 不 但我相信他一定知道 |
[54:29] | He was so very fond of you. | 他是那么欣赏你 |
[54:33] | He looks a lot worse. | 他看上去糟多了 |
[54:35] | It won’t be long now. | 不会再持续很久了 |
[54:37] | Last ripple of a mighty wave washed ashore here. | 巨浪的最后一抹涟漪在此处消退 |
[54:41] | And left us high and dry. | 徒留我们干涸 |
[54:43] | No, he didn’t leave us. He’ll never leave us. | 不 他没有离开我们 他永不会离开我们 |
[54:46] | I thought it was built on good ground, but… | 我以为这事有很充分的理由 但 |
[54:52] | there’s nothing under it. | 真的什么都没有 |
[54:54] | Roman, what’s wrong? | Roman 出什么事了 |
[54:57] | You’re too near me to hear me. | 你离得太近反而看不清 |
[54:59] | Can’t you see? It’s clear as crystal. | 你不明白吗 是那么明显 |
[55:01] | – What? – We filed the wrong brief | – 什么 – 我们上了错误的法院 |
[55:03] | in the wrong court to the wrong judge. | 向错误的法官提交了错误的诉讼 |
[55:06] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呢 |
[55:08] | A world where everyone’s feelings are reciprocated. | 一个所有人的感情都是互通的世界 |
[55:10] | The capacity for everyone to contribute. Come on. | 每个人都有能贡献的空间 算了吧 |
[55:15] | Freedom is something you can only give yourself. | 自由是只能自取自予的 |
[55:18] | That’s nothing he agreed with. | 那他完全不同意 |
[55:19] | I don’t have any time anymore. I don’t have time to waste. | 我没有更多时间了 我没有时间可以浪费了 |
[55:23] | Trying to… | 想着… |
[55:25] | tell people not to sleep so tight. | 告诉人们不要沉睡 |
[55:29] | Telling people to turn around. Toward what? | 告诉人们转变 向什么转变? |
[55:31] | Roman, sit down. | Roman 坐下 |
[55:34] | There’s no need anymore. | 没有需要了 |
[55:36] | The incapacity ceases with | 无行为能力会与 |
[55:39] | the cause that produces it. | 造成其的原因同时中止 |
[55:41] | Roman, he can hear you. | Roman 他能听到你说的 |
[55:42] | Well, that’s what I came to say. | 我来就是要说这个 |
[55:45] | Anyway, he… | 总之 他 |
[55:53] | Anyway, he’s gone, so… | 总之 他走了 那… |
[55:58] | What he fought for, | 他为之而战的 |
[55:59] | what he takes with him, that lasts forever. | 他始终坚守的 那会永远留存 |
[56:03] | Eroding as it was conceived. | 是会同设想的一样消散 |
[56:05] | What is wrong with you? | 你到底怎么了 |
[56:08] | You know, there’s a shop by the ocean | 你知道吗 海边有一家店 |
[56:10] | that makes maple-glazed turkey bacon doughnuts. | 卖糖浆火鸡培根甜甜圈 |
[56:12] | People sit under palm trees and eat them | 人们会坐在棕榈树下大快朵颐 |
[56:14] | while the breezes are blowing and the dolphins are playing. | 同时微风吹过 海豚嬉戏 |
[56:17] | I’m gonna go there. | 我要去那里了 |
[56:19] | Roman, all right, sit down. | Roman 算了 坐下 |
[56:20] | – No. I’m gonna get one. – No, no, sit down. | – 不 我要去买一个了 – 不 不 坐下 |
[56:23] | Roman. | |
[56:26] | Roman… | |
[57:05] | 亚美尼亚裔社区委员会 悬赏 $ 100,000 | |
[57:51] | Hello? | 喂 |
[57:52] | Hello. I’m calling in-in-in reference | 喂 我是为了 |
[57:55] | to the deceased store clerk. | 逝去的店员打来的 |
[57:57] | I’m sorry? | 抱歉 |
[58:00] | The… Oh, I’m sorry. I’m calling in reference | 那…哦 抱歉 我打来是说 |
[58:02] | to the… The shooter of the deceased store clerk. | 关于逝去的店员的凶手的事 |
[58:05] | Hold on a sec. | 等一下 |
[58:12] | Yes, can I help you? | 喂 有什么事吗 |
[58:14] | Yes, the-the-the… | 对 那 那 |
[58:16] | The man who did it, I know where he is. | 那个凶手 我知道他在哪 |
[58:19] | I’m ready. | 我听着呢 |
[58:20] | Um, well, I’m calling about the reward, the $100,000? | 呃 我是为了悬赏打来的 十万美金 |
[58:25] | You know the name of the suspect? | 你知道嫌犯的名字吗 |
[58:27] | We’ve had a lot of false leads. | 我们收到很多假线索 |
[58:29] | Carter T. Johnson. | |
[58:34] | Where is he? | 他在哪 |
[58:35] | Well, the-the man who did it, I have an address. | 那个行凶者 我知道地址 |
[58:40] | The clerk was my nephew. | 那个柜员是我的侄子 |
[58:43] | Listen, I’m-I’m not comfortable, uh, uh | 听着 我不愿意 呃 |
[58:46] | identifying myself. I have a mechanism to collect | 说出我是谁 我有一套收钱的办法 |
[58:49] | which protects, um, who I am. | 能保证 呃 我身份保密 |
[58:53] | You could just say where he is. | 你可以直接说他在哪 |
[58:54] | Civic duty. | 公民义务 |
[58:56] | Basic human dignity. | 人的最基本尊严 |
[58:58] | Look, this is an achievement for me, okay? | 听着 这对我来说不同寻常 |
[59:00] | Not an inherent state of my existence. | 我一贯的生活并非如此 |
[59:02] | I want the money in cash as soon as he’s arrested, $100,000. | 他一被逮捕我就想拿到现金 十万美金 |
[59:07] | Can’t do cash. | 不能是现金 |
[59:08] | Too risky. | 风险太大 |
[59:10] | I’m the one taking the risk. | 我才是那个承受风险的人 |
[59:11] | It’s gotta be cash. That’s the way it is. | 必须要是现金 就是这样 |
[59:16] | Okay. Fine. | 好 |
[59:18] | I don’t care who you are. | 我不在乎你是谁 |
[59:20] | I just want the bastards caught. | 我只想要那个混蛋被抓 |
[59:22] | Okay. Okay. | 好 好 |
[59:23] | – The reward stands. – Okay. | – 悬赏还有效 – 好 |
[59:25] | Information leading to an arrest. | 能导致逮捕的线索 |
[59:27] | – Okay. – You want cash, I’ll do cash. | – 好 – 你想要现金 我就给现金 |
[59:30] | Give me the information. | 把线索给我 |
[1:03:23] | – You have a good day. – Have a good one. | – 祝你愉快 – 你也是 |
[1:03:26] | – Good morning. – Morning. Yes, it is. | – 早上好 – 早 |
[1:03:29] | Good morning. I’ll get three of your turkey bacon | 早上好 我要三个火鸡培根 |
[1:03:31] | maple-glazed doughnuts, please. | 糖浆甜甜圈 谢谢 |
[1:03:33] | Three turkey bacon maple. Something to drink with that? | 三个火鸡培根枫糖的 要配什么饮品吗 |
[1:03:35] | Yes, the hibiscus pomegranate cooler. | 要芙蓉石榴冷饮 |
[1:03:40] | Hibiscus pomegranate cooler. | 芙蓉石榴冷饮 |
[1:03:44] | Twelve dollars on the nose. | 十二美元 |
[1:03:45] | Can you break 100? | 你能找开一百的吗 |
[1:03:47] | Of course. | 当然 |
[1:03:55] | Eighty-eight back to you. | 给你八十八块 |
[1:03:57] | – Keep the change. – Hey, thanks. | – 不用找了 – 嘿 谢谢 |
[1:04:25] | – Those fit? – Yeah. Yeah. | – 合身吗 – 嗯 嗯 |
[1:04:28] | – You think so? – Trust me. | – 你觉得好吗 – 信我 |
[1:04:31] | Can I get you anything else today, sir? | 您今天还要点什么吗 先生 |
[1:04:33] | A suit. | 一件西装 |
[1:04:35] | Suits. | 套装 |
[1:04:37] | Now we’re talking. | 这就对了 |
[1:04:42] | Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. | 洛伊斯圣莫尼卡海滩酒店 |
[1:04:45] | Good afternoon. How may I help you? | 下午好 有什么能帮到您的 |
[1:04:47] | Welcome, sir. Checking in? | 欢迎 先生 入住吗 |
[1:04:49] | Roman J. Israel, Esquire. | Roman J. Israel阁下 |
[1:04:50] | – Welcome to Loews. – Thank you. | – 欢迎来到洛伊斯 – 谢谢你 |
[1:07:08] | Fuck. | 操 |
[1:07:29] | – It’s a very nice suit. – Thank you. | – 这西装很棒 – 谢谢你 |
[1:07:31] | Lynn went to your apartment this weekend to speak with you, | Lynn这周末去找你谈 |
[1:07:35] | but you weren’t there. | 但你不在 |
[1:07:37] | Oh, I must have been out. | 哦 肯定是我出门了 |
[1:07:41] | You… You don’t know what I’m talking about. | 你…你不明白我的意思 |
[1:07:45] | – You’re firing me? – No. | – 你要开除我吗 – 不 |
[1:07:47] | No. People became concerned after you went to the hospital | 不 人们在你去医院那趟之后变得很担心 |
[1:07:50] | Friday morning, and it was decided, after some discussion, | 周五早上 讨论之后 我们决定 |
[1:07:53] | that it was best not to leave a message on your phone. | 最好不在你的电话里留言 |
[1:07:58] | William died. | William去世了 |
[1:08:01] | When? | 什么时候 |
[1:08:02] | Friday night, actually. | 周五晚 |
[1:08:05] | – I’m sorry. – You didn’t kill him. | – 我很遗憾 – 不是你杀了他 |
[1:08:10] | There’s gonna be a small private funeral on Wednesday, | 周三会举行一个小型私密葬礼 |
[1:08:12] | and then a full memorial in several weeks. | 之后几周后举行正式的纪念 |
[1:08:16] | Is that it? | 就这样吗 |
[1:08:17] | I don’t know what you’re feeling… | 我不知道你感觉如何… |
[1:08:19] | given how close you were. | 鉴于你们的关系那么紧密 |
[1:08:21] | I mean, I guess… I guess I can kind of imagine. | 我是说 我猜…我猜我也许能想象到 |
[1:08:25] | Yeah. I put that behind me. | 嗯 我都放下了 |
[1:08:27] | Well, I’m sorry for my outburst the other day. I was… | 嗯 我很抱歉那天我爆发了 我当时… |
[1:08:31] | I was overly harsh. | 我过于苛责了 |
[1:08:33] | Lynn’s been telling me | Lynn告诉了我 |
[1:08:35] | how vital you were to William’s work. | 你对William的事业是怎样的重要 |
[1:08:36] | Always in the shadows, never flagging, | 永远在影子里 从不招摇 |
[1:08:39] | and I pulled you out of the back room | 我把你从幕后拉了出来 |
[1:08:40] | and forced you out onto the floor. It was… | 强迫你在外边工作 确实… |
[1:08:44] | It was a lot to ask. | 确实要求太多了 |
[1:08:46] | I’ve gotten Felicity Ellerbee to sign a document | 我让Felicity Ellerbee签署了一份协议 |
[1:08:48] | absolving us of any wrongdoing in her nephew’s death. | 原谅我们对于他侄子的死亡的任何过失 |
[1:08:52] | It’s a good thing that she… | 她相信你确实 |
[1:08:54] | She believes that you were | 是从Derrell的利益出发 |
[1:08:55] | just acting in Derrell’s best interests. | 真的是太好了 |
[1:08:58] | So that’s in the rearview. | 那都过去了 |
[1:09:00] | I’ve also learned today that we picked up three new clients, | 我今天还知道了我们有了三个新客户 |
[1:09:03] | all of whom came as referrals from your cases. | 都是通过你案件的推荐来的 |
[1:09:05] | It seems like your personal attention, | 看上去你私人层面的关注 |
[1:09:07] | giving out your cell phone, | 给出自己手机的电话 |
[1:09:08] | is quite the calling card. | 确实很吸引人 |
[1:09:10] | I wanna institute the practice for all our attorneys. | 我想要求我们所有的律师都这么做 |
[1:09:12] | Good. | 好 |
[1:09:15] | Look, you can still leave, of course. | 听着 你可以离开 当然 |
[1:09:17] | I fully understand. I think maybe there’s a… | 我完全理解 我认为或许还是… |
[1:09:19] | Maybe there’s a place for you here if you… | 这里或许还有你的位置 如果你 |
[1:09:21] | – I wanna stay. – You would? | – 我想留下 – 你可以吗 |
[1:09:22] | Yes. I mean… | 是的 我是说… |
[1:09:25] | I’m tired of doing the impossible | 我厌倦了为不知感激者 |
[1:09:27] | for the ungrateful. I now have, uh, more… | 做不可能之事 我现在有 呃 更多… |
[1:09:31] | practical concerns. | 切实的想法 |
[1:09:34] | The, uh… The suit’s a big change. | 呃 西装是个大变化 |
[1:09:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[1:09:38] | I prefer double-breasted, but, uh… | 我更喜欢双排扣 但是 呃 |
[1:09:41] | Ha. You broke open the piggy bank, huh? | 你把存的钱都拿出来了是吧 |
[1:09:42] | Yeah. Yes, I did. | 嗯 确实 |
[1:09:44] | My lack of success is self-imposed. | 我的失意只是咎由自取 |
[1:09:53] | So, Israel, there’s a rumor that you know the CPC by heart. | Israel 传言说你对加州法条烂熟于心 |
[1:09:57] | Yeah. Guilty as charged. | 对 我供认不讳 |
[1:09:59] | – Pleadings. – 948, 973. | – 控诉 – 948, 973 |
[1:10:02] | – Demurrer for irregularity. – 1248. | – 非常规脱罪 – 1248 |
[1:10:04] | Money laundering. | 洗钱 |
[1:10:05] | 186.9, 186.10. | |
[1:10:08] | However, all pleadings in those cases | 但是 在那些案件下的控诉 |
[1:10:10] | are subject to the laws of joinder and severance. | 都取决于合并或分开审理法 |
[1:10:12] | That’s, uh, 954. | 那在 呃 954 |
[1:10:14] | – Wow, impressive. – Nice. | – 哇 厉害 – 强 |
[1:10:17] | You gotta be kidding me. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[1:10:19] | I gotta go. | 我得走了 |
[1:10:21] | See you, Jessie. | 再见 Jessie |
[1:10:23] | Listen, um, I got a Prop 36 I could really use help with. | 听着 我有个36号法案的案子真心需要帮忙 |
[1:10:27] | Okay. | 好 |
[1:10:28] | We handled a lot of DTC motions at my old firm. | 我在旧律所的时候处理过很多DTC动议 |
[1:10:31] | Awesome. Um, I have some free time this afternoon, if you do. | 太棒了 我下午有点时间 如果你可以 |
[1:10:33] | I don’t know what your caseload is like, | 我不知道你安排的怎么样 |
[1:10:35] | but I’ll stop by? | 但我去一趟行吗 |
[1:10:36] | – Yeah. – Great. | – 好 – 很棒 |
[1:10:41] | 出租中 现代豪华配家具公寓 入内咨询 可参观 | |
[1:10:57] | So where do you currently live? | 你现在居住在哪 |
[1:11:00] | Further away. | 很远 |
[1:11:02] | Well, if you lived here, you’d be home by now. | 如果你住在这 你就已经到家了 |
[1:11:23] | Well, what do you think? | 你觉得如何 |
[1:11:25] | I think that whatever we’re chasing… | 我觉得无论我们追逐的是什么… |
[1:11:30] | you got it all here. | 你这里全都有了 |
[1:11:32] | – I’m sorry? – When can I move in? | – 不好意思 – 我什么时候能搬进来 |
[1:11:35] | – Immediately. – I’ll take it. | – 立刻 – 我要了 |
[1:11:47] | 让我们因不公而愤怒 却不要被不公击垮 | |
[1:12:06] | Hello? | 喂 |
[1:12:08] | Oh, hey. It’s, uh… It’s Maya. | 哦 嘿 是…我是Maya |
[1:12:11] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[1:12:12] | How are you doing? | 你怎么样 |
[1:12:14] | Wonderful. | 很棒 |
[1:12:15] | Good. I, uh… | 好 我… |
[1:12:17] | I meant what I said last week about staying in touch. | 我上周说保持联系的时候是认真的 |
[1:12:21] | How’s the new job? | 新工作怎么样 |
[1:12:23] | Uh, I’m writing lengthy interrogatories… | 呃 就在写很长的质询书 |
[1:12:27] | and amending complaints. | 还有诉求修订 |
[1:12:29] | It’s no social-redeeming quality or context. | 对社会革新毫无帮助 |
[1:12:33] | You know, it’s… | 你懂的 |
[1:12:35] | It’s awesome. | 太棒了 |
[1:12:39] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[1:12:40] | Well, I was calling to see if you wanted to go for dinner. | 我打来是问你想不想出去吃晚饭 |
[1:12:46] | With me? | 和我一起 |
[1:12:47] | With you? | 和你一起 |
[1:12:49] | I’m confused. | 我糊涂了 |
[1:12:51] | I… I’d like that. | 我…我想 |
[1:12:53] | I’d like that. | 我想 |
[1:12:54] | – I’d like that, yeah. Um… – Great. | – 我想 嗯… – 好 |
[1:12:59] | Tonight? I mean… | 今晚吗 我是说 |
[1:13:02] | Tomorrow? | 明天 |
[1:13:04] | – Works for me. – It works for me. | – 我可以 – 我可以 |
[1:13:06] | Tonight works for me, but I mean… | 今晚我也可以 但是我… |
[1:13:09] | All right. I’ll… I… | 好吧 我就…我… |
[1:13:12] | Tomorrow. I’ll do tomorrow. | 明天 就定在明天 |
[1:13:14] | We’ll do tomorrow. | 我们就定明天 |
[1:13:15] | Okay. I’ll see you then. | 好 到时候见 |
[1:13:17] | Bye. | 拜 |
[1:13:43] | Everybody in? | 大家都在吗 |
[1:13:52] | All right, let’s get started. | 好了 我们开始吧 |
[1:13:54] | Under the new fee structure, our advance on felony cases | 在新的收费结构下 我们重罪案的预付款 |
[1:13:58] | rises from 2000 to 2500. | 从2000涨到了2500 |
[1:14:00] | Our felony daily rate rises to 1500 from 1000. | 我们的重罪日收费从1000涨到1500 |
[1:14:04] | Now, of course, some people are gonna gag at the new numbers, | 当然 有些人会被新的数字吓到 |
[1:14:07] | but what we’re selling is our impressive win-loss record, | 但我们销售的是我们绝棒的赢案率 |
[1:14:10] | our depth of talent, all you fine people, | 我们深度的天分 所有你们这些强人 |
[1:14:12] | and, ultimately, our lower all-in costs. | 而且 最重要的 我们更低廉的总计费用 |
[1:14:15] | Take time to explain it to people. | 花时间向客户解释 |
[1:14:17] | If you see a potential client heading for the door, | 如果你看到潜在客户准备出门 |
[1:14:19] | you emphasize our new personalized approach. | 就用我们新的个性化的手段 |
[1:14:22] | All right, I’ve also decided to devote | 好了 我还觉得将我们的一部分时间 |
[1:14:24] | a share of our time to pro bono. | 捐助到法律援助事业 |
[1:14:27] | Now, that’s not an area we have much experience with, | 现在 这个领域我们没什么经验 |
[1:14:30] | but someone here does. | 但是这里有人有 |
[1:14:32] | It’s the first he’s heard about it, | 这也是他第一次听说 |
[1:14:34] | but Roman will be heading up our new pro bono program. | 但Roman会领导我们新的法律援助项目 |
[1:14:38] | Roman, you wanna say a few words? | Roman 你想说两句吗 |
[1:14:42] | Will this cut into my salary? | 这会对我的薪水有影响吗 |
[1:14:48] | I mean in terms of billable hours? | 我是说计费时间会少吗 |
[1:14:56] | Okay. | 好了 |
[1:14:58] | All right. | 好 |
[1:14:59] | Connor, you’ll be assisting Roman. | Connor 你将协助Roman |
[1:15:01] | I want to get moving on it right away. | 我想立刻开始行动 |
[1:15:02] | Folks, take a look. | 大家 看好了 |
[1:15:04] | It’s already in the new brochure. | 已经在我们的新宣传册里了 |
[1:15:05] | All right, questions? | 好了 有问题吗 |
[1:15:07] | Nothing? Good. | 没有 很好 |
[1:15:17] | Roman, I didn’t dress for this place. | Roman 我没为这地方打扮 |
[1:15:19] | Oh, there’s no code. | 哦 这里没有着装要求 |
[1:15:21] | It’s a bit uncomfortable for me. | 我感觉不太舒服 |
[1:15:22] | You don’t like it? | 你不喜欢吗 |
[1:15:24] | This will cost a fortune. | 会花很多钱的 |
[1:15:26] | Well… | 嗯… |
[1:15:28] | Yeah. We deserve it. | 是我们应得的 |
[1:15:30] | You know, I really heard what you said, | 你知道的 我真的听进去你说的话了 |
[1:15:33] | the first time you came in. | 你第一次来的时候 |
[1:15:35] | About progressive lawyering | 说的渐进执律 |
[1:15:36] | being the cornerstone of modern activism. | 作为现代运动的里程碑 |
[1:15:39] | Particularly given the tunnel that we’re descending into. | 尤其是鉴于我们屈就于的渠道 |
[1:15:45] | You, the few lawyers like you… | 你 很少有律师像你 |
[1:15:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[1:15:50] | You really took up the mantle of leadership | 你真的选择承担了领导的职责 |
[1:15:53] | with your own advocacy. | 宣扬自己的思想 |
[1:15:55] | You’re out there… | 你在外边… |
[1:15:57] | and alone for so many years. | 独自一人这么多年 |
[1:16:00] | I feel like… | 我觉得… |
[1:16:04] | I don’t know. I feel like I was meant to meet you. | 我不清楚 我觉得我注定要遇到你 |
[1:16:16] | – Thank you. – I’ve been going through | – 谢谢你 – 我一直在经历 |
[1:16:18] | my own struggles. | 自身的挣扎 |
[1:16:20] | You know, trying to balance what I do… | 你懂的 尝试去平衡我做的事… |
[1:16:24] | and the sacrifices. | 和做出的牺牲 |
[1:16:29] | I’ve asked myself many times, “Why do I see things | 我问了自己无数次 “为什么我看事情 |
[1:16:32] | so differently from other people?” | 就和别人如此不同” |
[1:16:35] | You know, why…? | 你知道吗 为什么 |
[1:16:38] | Why do I care so much that our humanity | 为什么我如此关心我们的人性 |
[1:16:41] | is connected to each other? | 与彼此紧密相连 |
[1:16:45] | I have moments… | 我有时候… |
[1:16:51] | I have extended periods of real doubt. | 我有很长的时间都严重怀疑 |
[1:16:56] | I’m just holding on by a thread. | 我只是苦苦支撑而已 |
[1:17:02] | So, uh… | 那 |
[1:17:04] | hearing you… | 听到你讲话 |
[1:17:06] | and, um, understanding what you’ve been through… | 还有 理解你经历的一切 |
[1:17:11] | …and, uh… Thank you. | 还有 谢谢你 |
[1:17:15] | Just knowing you. | 仅仅认识你就已经 |
[1:17:18] | I mean, honestly, Roman, you’re inspiring. | 我是说 真的 Roman 你能鼓舞人心 |
[1:17:27] | I’ve never had it before, but… | 我从前从来没吃过 但… |
[1:17:30] | I imagined Duck à l’Orange to be different somehow. | 我总想象的橘鸭和这不同 |
[1:17:35] | Jesus, I’m being serious. | 天啊 我是认真的 |
[1:17:37] | Perhaps you need to look at things differently. | 或许你需要从不同的角度看待事物 |
[1:17:40] | You all right? | 你还好吗 |
[1:17:42] | – How? – Well… | – 怎么做 – 嗯… |
[1:17:46] | the world is for wonderful things, isn’t it? | 世界在于追寻美好事物 不是吗 |
[1:17:51] | Define “Wonderful.” | 什么叫美好 |
[1:17:54] | Okay. As an example… | 好的 举个例子 |
[1:17:57] | who says… | 谁说 |
[1:17:59] | you can’t steal a car in self-defense? | 偷车不能是自卫呢 |
[1:18:02] | In reference to what? | 对什么自卫 |
[1:18:03] | If one required a means of escape, so to speak. | 假如说 一个人需要一种逃离手段 |
[1:18:08] | Escape from what? | 逃离什么 |
[1:18:10] | Possibility to actuality. | 现实的可能性 |
[1:18:14] | I mean, it follows. The logic is valid, | 我是说 是可证的 逻辑是完备的 |
[1:18:17] | thus the premise is true. | 所以前提成立 |
[1:18:19] | Every weapon is a tool if you hold it the right way. | 每件武器如果使用对了都是工具 |
[1:18:22] | You’re saying to justify something? | 你是说要合理化什么吗 |
[1:18:25] | I’m saying… | 我是说… |
[1:18:28] | purity… | 纯洁… |
[1:18:32] | …can’t survive in this world. | ..在这个世界无法生存 |
[1:18:37] | Living conditions have bearing. | 与生存状态有关 |
[1:18:41] | I’m talking about the burden of activism. | 我说的是社会活动的负担 |
[1:18:44] | Exactly. | 正是 |
[1:18:46] | What are you talking about? | 你说的是什么 |
[1:18:52] | My ears are ringing. | 我有耳鸣 |
[1:18:55] | It’s somebody’s phone. | 是别人的手机 |
[1:18:58] | Roman. | |
[1:19:06] | It’s very difficult to be truthful. | 要做到真诚很难 |
[1:19:10] | Not just with principles… | 不只是对原则… |
[1:19:12] | but with yourself. | 还是对自己 |
[1:19:14] | To admit that you want something else | 承认你想要一些其他东西 |
[1:19:16] | and to try and act on it. | 并尝试为之行动吧 |
[1:19:17] | But I don’t want something else. | 但我不想要其他东西 |
[1:19:20] | I feel blessed to believe in something. | 我觉得能坚信什么很幸运 |
[1:19:24] | The way you do. | 就像你一样 |
[1:19:33] | Thanks for dinner. That was very generous. | 谢谢你请的晚餐 你太慷慨了 |
[1:19:35] | The portions were small. | 他家分量好小 |
[1:19:38] | I’m moving into a new place in a few days, after 35 years. | 已经35年了 我几天后终于要搬家了 |
[1:19:43] | You’re going through a lot of changes. | 你在经历很多改变啊 |
[1:19:45] | Yeah. Yeah. | 对 对 |
[1:19:47] | Kind of worried I’m gonna miss my old place. | 有点担心我会想念我旧的住处 |
[1:19:48] | Maybe you should wait until you’re sure. | 或许你应该再等等 确定一下 |
[1:19:50] | Nah, signed the contract. I can’t go back. | 不 已经签合同了 没法回头了 |
[1:19:53] | – I called a car. – Already got you one. | – 我叫车 – 已经给你叫了 |
[1:19:56] | See, I can Uber and text. It’s right here. | 看到了吗 我会发短信也会叫优步 就在那呢 |
[1:20:02] | – Thanks again. – You’re welcome. | – 再次谢谢了 – 不客气 |
[1:20:04] | Goodnight. | 晚安 |
[1:20:07] | I just want you to know how much you’ve helped me… | 我只想让你知道你帮了我多少… |
[1:20:11] | – by, uh, meeting you. – Mm. | – 因为遇到你 – 嗯 |
[1:20:13] | For what you do. | 因为你做的一切 |
[1:20:20] | – Your hair looks great. – Thank you. | – 你的发型很棒 – 谢谢 |
[1:20:49] | William lived on grand notions, | William依照宏大的信念而活 |
[1:20:52] | influenced by impractical ideas… | 受这一高远到不现实的想法影响… |
[1:20:56] | in a house trembling with promise | 即必会有一处庇所 |
[1:20:58] | and shouts of triumphs yet to come. | 满载着承诺和凯歌到来 |
[1:21:02] | Imploring and inspiring. | 深情款款 鼓舞人心 |
[1:21:06] | A believer that the moral arc of the universe is long, | 他相信宇宙的道德道阻且长 |
[1:21:10] | but bends towards justice. | 但归根结底会趋向正义 |
[1:21:12] | He ignited a spark in each and every one of us… | 他在我们每个人的心底点燃火花… |
[1:21:18] | and that light can never die. | 而那光芒永远不会消逝 |
[1:21:24] | We have over 1000 attending the memorial. | 有超过1000人要参加纪念会 |
[1:21:26] | Yeah, and not one of them | 嗯 而他活着的时候 |
[1:21:28] | returned his calls when he was alive. | 打给他们的电话没有一个人回过 |
[1:21:30] | I think it would be great if you spoke. | 我觉得要是你能讲两句就太好了 |
[1:21:33] | And tell them what? | 和他们说什么 |
[1:21:35] | – You two talk the same language. – Yeah, no, thank you. | – 你们俩理念相同 – 不了 谢谢 |
[1:21:38] | – If it’s nerves… – It’s not. | – 如果是紧张的话… – 不是的 |
[1:21:40] | – There’s no one more deserving. – They wouldn’t wanna hear it. | – 没人比你更有资格 – 我说的他们不会想听的 |
[1:21:44] | Hear what? | 听什么 |
[1:21:46] | The real enemies aren’t on the outside. They’re within. | 真正的敌人不在外部 而在我们中 |
[1:21:52] | We’ll talk soon. | 我们之后再谈 |
[1:21:54] | I’ll call you. | 我会打给你的 |
[1:21:58] | You take care of yourself. | 你照顾好自己 |
[1:22:00] | I am. | 我很好 |
[1:22:02] | I disbelieve that. | 我不相信 |
[1:22:08] | I’ll be in touch. | 我们再联系 |
[1:22:10] | Roman, I’ll see you at the office. | Roman 我们办公室见 |
[1:22:13] | I have something for you. | 我有东西要给你 |
[1:22:27] | No, you’re right. | 不 你们说的对 |
[1:22:29] | That 2500 is higher than average. | 2500确实比均价高 |
[1:22:31] | But let me direct you to our firm’s win-loss record, | 但容我指出我们的赢案率 |
[1:22:34] | our lower all-in costs, personalized service. | 我们总价的低廉 个性化的服务 |
[1:22:37] | – It’s all there in the brochure. – I don’t know. | – 都在册子里写了 – 我不确定 |
[1:22:41] | You’re wise to price shop. Very, very wise. | 你们选择比较报价很明智 非常明智 |
[1:22:44] | When it comes to defending your loved ones, | 但当这件事是为你所爱的人辩护时 |
[1:22:46] | there’s a lot of people in prison | 有很多身处监狱的人 |
[1:22:48] | that would attest that that’s a bad idea. | 能证明这不是个好主意 |
[1:23:01] | We’re going to do it. | 我们决定做了 |
[1:23:04] | Okay. | 好 |
[1:23:17] | Tickets for this week’s game | 这周球赛的票 |
[1:23:20] | available now on the main concourse, | 现在可以在大厅买到 |
[1:23:22] | right behind Aisle 14. | 就在走道14后方 |
[1:23:24] | Man, you’ve had some crash course, huh? | 老兄 你是去上速成班了 是吧 |
[1:23:26] | From William Henry Jackson to George Pierce? | 从William Henry Jackson律所换到George Pierce律所 |
[1:23:30] | What a ride. | 差异多大啊 |
[1:23:32] | You seem to be settling in okay though. | 但你看上去适应的还不错 |
[1:23:34] | From all appearances. | 从各方面看都是 |
[1:23:37] | I got a lot of plans, Roman. | 我有很多计划 Roman |
[1:23:39] | I mean, nothing we have to get too deep into here, | 我是说 没什么我们需要纠结过多的 |
[1:23:41] | I understand, but… | 我理解 但 |
[1:23:42] | down the line, there is a lot I’d like to discuss. | 到头来 我有很多想讨论的东西 |
[1:23:45] | I’m gonna want your thoughts. | 我需要你的意见 |
[1:23:47] | You know, closer community contact… | 你知道的 更紧密的社区合同… |
[1:23:49] | taking on more family and housing cases, | 接更多的家庭与房产案 |
[1:23:52] | setting up alternative work arrangements. | 建立可选工作安排 |
[1:23:54] | All while actually increasing productivity and retention, | 这些进行的同时增进生产力和留存率 |
[1:23:58] | which is not to suggest it’s about drumming up business. | 这并不意味着要增大商业规模 |
[1:24:00] | I mean, something’s gotta get you up in the morning, right? | 我是说 总要有早上起床的动力 是吧 |
[1:24:03] | Yes, three point. | 赞 三分 |
[1:24:05] | And going back to William Henry… | 说回William Henry. |
[1:24:08] | I told you I still remember quotes from his class. | 我和你说过我还记得他课堂上讲的话 |
[1:24:10] | “I believe | “我相信 |
[1:24:11] | because of my beliefs.” | 因为我有信仰” |
[1:24:15] | Cards-on-the-table time: I was gonna leave law, | 和你摊个牌 在上他的课之前 |
[1:24:18] | before I took his class. After him, I doubled down. | 我本想退出律界 听他课后 我全心全意投入其中 |
[1:24:22] | You know, all his talk of what could be | 你知道的 所有他说的美好的愿景 |
[1:24:24] | and the difference one man could make. You gotta make a living. | 还有一个人能成就的 但要挣钱生活啊 |
[1:24:27] | Four offices, this market? | 四家办公室 在这个市场 |
[1:24:29] | It’s… It’s no small thing. | 这…不是件小事 |
[1:24:32] | Of course he didn’t see it that way. | 当然他不这么认为 |
[1:24:34] | He told me I was, uh… | 他和我说我是 呃… |
[1:24:36] | I was drowning in the shallow end. | 溺在浅滩了 |
[1:24:40] | Worse was, I knew it. | 更糟的是 我也知道 |
[1:24:44] | And then you come along, you… | 之后你出现了 你 |
[1:24:46] | You shake things up a bit, and here we are sitting, | 你震动了格局 我们现在能坐在这 |
[1:24:48] | talking new possibilities, where we can go. | 谈论新的可能 我们能去向何方 |
[1:24:52] | Hell, I don’t have to explain. You get it. | 唉 我不用解释的 你懂的 |
[1:24:54] | Christ, you’re gonna be right in the middle of it. | 天 可能都是你计划好的 |
[1:25:39] | – Come on, man. – That’s bullshit. | – 不是吧 老兄 – 太扯了 |
[1:25:46] | Oof! L.A. Traffic, man, there’s no getting around it. | 唉 洛杉矶交通 完全没办法啊 |
[1:25:49] | Glad I caught you before we came in. We just landed this. | 很高兴能在进去前和你碰头 我们刚谈下来这个 |
[1:25:51] | It’s a capital case. You have experience with those? | 是件死刑案 你有这方面的经验吗 |
[1:25:54] | We handled quite a few. | 我们处理过不少 |
[1:25:55] | I’ll make the introduction, | 我来做简介 |
[1:25:56] | then I’ll bow out and you’ll stay. | 之后我退下 你留下 |
[1:25:58] | Okay. | 好 |
[1:26:00] | I looked at that prison overcrowding case | 我看了那个监狱人数过多的案子 |
[1:26:01] | you and William worked on. | 你和William着手那个 |
[1:26:03] | Which one? | 哪个 |
[1:26:04] | Against Men’s Central. | 诉男子中心监狱 |
[1:26:05] | – You prevailed. – Oh, that was overturned. | – 获胜了 – 哦 那件被推翻了 |
[1:26:08] | Yeah? | 是吗 |
[1:26:09] | How’s your big plea-reform brief going? | 你的宏大认罪协定改革的诉讼摘要怎么样了 |
[1:26:11] | Ah… | 啊 |
[1:26:13] | Put it aside. | 放一边了 |
[1:26:15] | Well, tell me more about it. I’m interested. | 和我多说说这个 我感兴趣 |
[1:26:17] | Carried it as far as I can take it. | 我只能推动这么远了 |
[1:26:20] | Well, how about some help? | 呃 要点帮助吗 |
[1:26:21] | I mean, I’ve been thinking about it. | 我是说 我一直在想这事 |
[1:26:23] | I’ve become less skeptical about the possibilities | 我对于你说的那些可能性和规模性 |
[1:26:25] | and scope of what you said. I could devote office resources, | 没那么怀疑了 我可以投入一些办公资源 |
[1:26:28] | help you complete the brief. | 帮你完成诉讼摘要 |
[1:26:29] | We could file at federal court together. | 我们可以一并向联邦法院提交 |
[1:26:31] | That’s the first step. It’ll take years | 那只是第一步而已 还需要 |
[1:26:32] | of commitment to see it through. | 数年的决心来推进 |
[1:26:34] | Commitment doesn’t seem to be a problem for you. | 决心对你不是个问题 |
[1:26:36] | I hear you’re moving to a new apartment. | 我听说你搬到新公寓了 |
[1:26:38] | – How’d you hear that? – Payroll comes across my desk. | – 你怎么知道的 – 我看过工资单 |
[1:26:40] | – I know that building, not cheap. – I had money saved. | – 我知道那幢楼 不便宜 – 我存钱了 |
[1:26:44] | I mean, it’s great. It’s a nice building. | 我是说 很棒 是很赞的楼 |
[1:26:46] | No, I mean, I had money saved for a long time. | 不 我是说 我存了很久的钱 |
[1:26:48] | – Well what else is it good for? – Ha, ha. | – 不然存钱有什么用 – 哈哈 |
[1:26:50] | – You got your ID? – Yeah, yeah. | – 你身份证在吗 – 嗯 嗯 |
[1:26:52] | George Pierce and Roman Israel | George Pierce和Roman Israel |
[1:26:54] | to see our client, Carter Johnson. | 来见我们的客户 Carter Johnson |
[1:26:56] | – Carter Johnson? – I meant to tell you. | – Carter Johnson – 我本想告诉你的 |
[1:26:58] | They picked him up on Friday from the Ellerbee case. | 他们周五因为Ellerbee的案子抓到他了 |
[1:27:01] | We’ve been retained. | 指定了我们做律师 |
[1:27:28] | Hello, Carter. | 你好 Carter |
[1:27:30] | I’m George Pierce, and this is my associate Roman Israel. | 我是George Pierce 这是我的伙伴Roman Israel |
[1:27:33] | Roman is a devoted advocate and a fabulous attorney. | Roman是个很棒的代理人 绝佳的律师 |
[1:27:36] | And he’s gonna be the point person on your team. | 他会是你的队伍的领头人 |
[1:27:39] | – You’re good, huh? – Well, he’s better than good. | – 你不错 是吧 – 他可不止不错 |
[1:27:42] | Have you had a chance to review the fee structure? | 你看过了收费架构吗 |
[1:27:44] | – The stuff you sent over? Yeah. – Yeah. | – 你寄过来的东西吗 嗯 – 对 |
[1:27:46] | You understand this is a capital murder case? | 你理解这是桩死刑谋杀案吧 |
[1:27:48] | – Yeah. – All right, first off, | – 嗯 – 好 第一点 |
[1:27:50] | you wanna be fully up to speed on your file. | 你要了解你的一切资料 |
[1:27:52] | You will make better decisions if you’re completely informed | 如果你了解案件的每个方面 |
[1:27:55] | about every aspect of your case and you know all your options. | 和你的所有选择 你能做出更好的判断 |
[1:27:58] | I know all my options. | 我知道我所有的选择 |
[1:28:00] | Well, unfortunately, we, uh, can’t change what’s been done. | 嗯 不幸的是 我们不能改变已经发生的事 |
[1:28:03] | That means facing this head-on. | 这就代表要全力处理眼前的事 |
[1:28:05] | I think you understand the penalties | 我认为你理解自己 |
[1:28:08] | you’re facing are very severe. | 面临的刑罚严重程度 |
[1:28:10] | In overview, we’re gonna study the discovery | 总体上 我们会全面调查 |
[1:28:13] | of the evidence the prosecution gives us. | 检方送交我们的证据 |
[1:28:14] | And we’re gonna force the prosecution | 我们会迫使检方 |
[1:28:16] | to give us anything and everything we want. | 给我们任何我们想要的东西 |
[1:28:18] | – Roman, you wanna step in? – Yeah, we’re gonna… | – Roman 你想讲讲吗 – 嗯 我们要 |
[1:28:20] | We’re gonna perform a private investigation, and, uh… | 我们要执行一次私家调查 然后… |
[1:28:24] | devise a defense. | 构造出一套辩护 |
[1:28:26] | That’s not all we’ll do. We’ll outwork the prosecution. | 我们要做的不止这些 我们会比检方做的更多 |
[1:28:29] | All right? We’re gonna outwork them, | 好吗 我们会比他们做的更多 |
[1:28:31] | we’re gonna outperform them. | 我们会比他们表现更好 |
[1:28:33] | And we’re gonna get you the best result possible. | 我们会给你争取到可能的最好结果 |
[1:28:36] | Life in a cage. | 在笼子里活着 |
[1:28:37] | Well, that’s the outcome we’re fighting. | 那是我们奋斗的目标 |
[1:28:39] | It’ll be a long process, and it’s gonna cost quite a bit. | 这会是一个很长的过程 而且会花不少钱 |
[1:28:42] | So with that in mind, I… | 那知道了这个 我 |
[1:28:44] | I’d like to suggest there’s no need | 我想指出没有必要 |
[1:28:45] | for two billable attorneys at this early phase. | 在这样的早期雇佣两名记费律师 |
[1:28:47] | If it’s okay with you, I’ll bow out. I’ll let Roman continue. | 如果你同意的话 我就退出了 Roman和你继续 |
[1:28:51] | It’s okay with me. | 我同意 |
[1:28:53] | All right, Carter. | 好了 Carter |
[1:28:55] | I’ll be in touch. | 我们再联系 |
[1:28:57] | Roman, I’ll speak with you later. | Roman 我之后和你谈 |
[1:28:59] | Okay. | 好 |
[1:29:00] | Guard. | 警卫 |
[1:29:05] | The, um… | 那 呃 |
[1:29:10] | The prosecutors are gonna favor a grand jury | 检察官会希望组建大陪审团 |
[1:29:13] | over a preliminary hearing, which will allow them to wait | 胜过预审 这样他们就可以 |
[1:29:18] | and reveal the evidence at the trial. | 等到审判时才提交证据 |
[1:29:20] | You represented Derrell. | 你代理了Derrell |
[1:29:23] | Uh, briefly. | 嗯 很短时间 |
[1:29:25] | I asked for you after talking to his cellie. | 我和他的狱友谈过后点名要你 |
[1:29:30] | We have a number of legal maneuvers we can employ, | 我们有很多可供雇佣的法律人 |
[1:29:33] | to try and force a prelim. | 来促生预审 |
[1:29:34] | – I don’t care about the prelim. – I’d advise that we pursue it. | – 我才不在乎预审 – 我建议我们为之努力 |
[1:29:38] | You knew where I was. | 你知道我在哪 |
[1:29:41] | When was that? | 什么时候 |
[1:29:42] | Before they picked me up. | 在他们来抓我之前 |
[1:29:44] | I’m sure Derrell shared that info | 我确定Derrell把那个讯息 |
[1:29:46] | with a number of people. | 和一些人都说过 |
[1:29:47] | No. | 不 |
[1:29:49] | You’re the only person he told. | 他只告诉了你 |
[1:29:51] | That’s what he told the guy. | 他和狱友是这么说的 |
[1:29:54] | You called it in, collected the reward money. | 你打去电话 拿了悬赏的钱 |
[1:29:58] | – You fucked me. – I presented myself… | – 你坑了我 – 我来是为了 |
[1:30:02] | on your request for an attorney. | 你要求我作为你的律师 |
[1:30:05] | You’re talking, but it don’t mean nothing. | 你说的话 什么意义都没有 |
[1:30:08] | I ain’t never getting out of here. | 我是出不去了 |
[1:30:11] | They got me cold. | 他们绝对能搞死我 |
[1:30:14] | I’ll tell you this. | 我和你说 |
[1:30:17] | I got you. | 我能搞死你 |
[1:30:19] | Anytime I want. | 随时 |
[1:30:21] | – Guard… Guard. – Any place. | – 警卫…警卫 – 随地 |
[1:30:22] | – Guard! – Could’ve already done it. | – 警卫 – 要下手早成功了 |
[1:30:24] | – Guard. – But I want you to be where I am. | – 警卫 – 但我想要你进到我在的地方 |
[1:30:27] | – Guard! – Thinking about it. | – 警卫 – 好好想想吧 |
[1:30:28] | Guard. | 警卫 |
[1:30:30] | Go on and tell somebody what you did. | 去告诉别人你做了什么吧 |
[1:30:31] | – I want out. – Broke your own law. | – 我想出去 – 违反你的法律 |
[1:30:33] | – Privileged information. – Guard! | – 泄露保密信息 – 警卫 |
[1:30:35] | Tell them about the law you broke. | 和他们说说你犯的法 |
[1:30:37] | They’ll throw you in here with me. | 他们会把你和我关在一起 |
[1:30:40] | But you’re gonna run. Try it. | 但你要逃 试试吧 |
[1:31:21] | – You know what I’m sayin’? – Yeah. | – 你懂我意思吗 – 嗯 |
[1:31:23] | – Mr. Burton, how are you? – How you doin’? | – Burton先生 您好 – 你好 |
[1:31:25] | Come this way. | 这边走 |
[1:31:36] | Hello? | 喂 |
[1:31:41] | Hello? | 喂 |
[1:31:48] | Front desk. | 前台 |
[1:31:50] | Yes, I just received a call. | 嗯 我刚刚接到了个电话 |
[1:31:52] | There was no one there. | 没有人应答 |
[1:31:54] | Well, they asked for you, Mr. Israel. | 他们指名找你 Israel先生 |
[1:31:56] | Did they give a name? | 他们留名字了吗 |
[1:31:58] | I’m sorry. No, they didn’t. | 很抱歉 他们没有 |
[1:32:44] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[1:37:26] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[1:37:30] | Hey, you okay? | 嘿 你还好吗 |
[1:37:34] | You all right, mister? | 你还好吗 先生 |
[1:37:40] | I was running. | 我在逃跑 |
[1:37:43] | You need any help? | 你需要帮助吗 |
[1:37:45] | It was a bad decision. | 是个坏主意 |
[1:37:47] | – It wasn’t my first. – Dude’s crazy. | – 不是我第一次了 – 这家伙疯了 |
[1:37:53] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[1:38:20] | Hello? | 喂 |
[1:38:21] | Hey. It’s Maya. | 嘿 我是Maya |
[1:38:23] | – Hi, Maya. – What are you doing? | – 嗨 Maya – 你干什么呢 |
[1:38:26] | Uh… | 呃 |
[1:38:27] | Nothing much. | 没什么 |
[1:38:29] | You’d tell me if I was bugging you. | 如果我打扰到你了你会直说吧 |
[1:38:31] | No. | 不会 |
[1:38:32] | Well, that’s honest. | 真是诚实 |
[1:38:34] | You know I only call you when I’m down. | 你知道我只在低落的时候给你打电话 |
[1:38:37] | That’s horrible, right? | 真是太糟了 是吧 |
[1:38:39] | One of my friends… | 我的一个朋友 |
[1:38:41] | One of my best staffers quit on me yesterday. | 我最好的一个员工昨天退出了 |
[1:38:43] | Told me that working here was just for his résumé. | 和我说在这工作只是为了简历好看 |
[1:38:46] | Yeah… The ability to have, uh… | 嗯 脑子可以接受… |
[1:38:49] | conflicting ideas in one’s head takes effort. | 对立的想法共存是需要努力的 |
[1:38:52] | I like that. | 我喜欢 |
[1:38:54] | How’s your day going? | 你今天怎么样 |
[1:38:56] | Uh, you know… | 呃 你懂的 |
[1:38:58] | life smiles, I smile back. | 生活对我笑 我也笑回去 |
[1:39:00] | You don’t sound like you’re smiling. | 你听上去可不像在笑 |
[1:39:03] | I’m a little… | 我有一点… |
[1:39:04] | Kind of anxious, actually. | 实际上有点焦虑 |
[1:39:06] | Well, just tell yourself | 嗯 就告诉自己 |
[1:39:07] | that most of the things you worry about | 你担忧的大部分事情 |
[1:39:09] | will never, ever happen. | 永远都不会发生 |
[1:39:11] | I’ll try that. | 我试试吧 |
[1:39:12] | Alcohol works even better. | 酒精的功效更强 |
[1:39:15] | – Roman? – Yeah. | – Roman – 嗯 |
[1:39:17] | It’s a really bad connection. Where are you? | 信号真的不好 你在哪 |
[1:39:19] | In a desert. | 在沙漠里 |
[1:39:21] | Yeah, it feels like that sometimes. | 嗯 有时就是会有这种感觉 |
[1:39:24] | Just gotta keep moving. | 必须继续努力走 |
[1:39:26] | Well which way? | 向哪边走 |
[1:39:28] | Head on. Just straight through. | 向前 径直穿过去 |
[1:39:32] | – Hello? – Roman? | – 喂 – Roman |
[1:39:35] | – Hey, can you hear…? – Hello? | – 嘿 你能听到 – 喂 |
[1:39:38] | Maya? | |
[1:40:33] | Soulful action affects the course of law. | 深情的举动会影响法律执行 |
[1:40:35] | It’s called to account the original complaint. | 这叫做满足初始诉求 |
[1:40:37] | The agents have changed, united by virtue. | 代理人由美德改变 联合 |
[1:40:40] | Wrongs will be righted. | 错误会被纠正 |
[1:40:41] | The loophole of ambiguity in the system… | 系统的不明确的漏洞 |
[1:40:43] | Legal challenge based on improvement… | 建立在改进上的司法挑战 |
[1:40:46] | Revised draft of a new community unevenly applied… | 全新社区的修订稿不均应用在… |
[1:40:48] | Reverted to history, formally empowering authority. | 放眼历史 前度赋权的权威 |
[1:40:51] | Levels of the law. There needs to be a bottom-up legal change. | 法律的层级 需要有一场根源性的法律改革 |
[1:40:54] | Who’ll see us? | 谁会看到我们 |
[1:40:55] | What the world could be, not what it is. | 世界应成的 而非其本来的样子 |
[1:40:57] | Society is something to be invented, not endured. | 社会应当被新创 而非去循旧 |
[1:41:00] | Must stand, or go down together. | 团结一心 或一并失败 |
[1:41:04] | Hey, Roman. | 嘿 Roman |
[1:41:06] | What are you doing? | 你干什么呢 |
[1:41:41] | Case 00-00001. | 案件00-00001 |
[1:41:45] | Supreme Court of Absolute Universal Law. | 至高普遍法最高法庭 |
[1:41:48] | Los Angeles division. | 洛杉矶分庭 |
[1:41:51] | Roman J. Israel, Esquire, petitioner | 原告 ROMAN J. ISRAEL 阁下 |
[1:41:53] | versus himself, defendant. | 诉 被告 其本人 |
[1:41:56] | Notice. | 上诉请求 |
[1:41:58] | To permanently disbar Roman J. Israel, Esquire | 永久将ROMAN J. ISRAEL 阁下驱逐出 |
[1:42:01] | from the California Bar and human race | 加利福尼亚律界及人类社会 |
[1:42:05] | for being a hypocrite | 因其虚伪至极 |
[1:42:06] | and turning his back on everything | 背叛了他宣称 |
[1:42:08] | he ever claimed to actually stand for… | 曾为之奋斗的一切 |
[1:42:13] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[1:42:15] | I just heard something disturbing about you | 我听说你有麻烦事了 |
[1:42:17] | from a solid source. | 消息很可靠 |
[1:42:18] | About the Ellerbee case. Carter Johnson? | Ellerbee那个案子 Carter Johnson |
[1:42:22] | You collected the reward? | 你领的悬赏吗 |
[1:42:24] | Is that true? | 是真的吗 |
[1:42:26] | …in the city of Los Angeles. | 位于洛杉矶 |
[1:42:28] | – During that time… – Roman. | – 在这段时间里… – Roman |
[1:42:37] | …for the above-mentioned request | 由此得出的上述诉讼请求 |
[1:42:38] | for immediate and summary judgment. | 希望即刻得出判决 |
[1:42:48] | I thought we were working tonight. | 今晚我们不是一起工作吗 |
[1:42:50] | Uh, I plan to leave. | 呃 我计划离开了 |
[1:42:52] | Monday, then? Tomorrow? | 那就周一吗 还是明天 |
[1:42:54] | I believe I’ll be unavailable for the foreseeable future. | 我相信在未来可预计的时间里我都帮不上忙 |
[1:42:57] | You know the facts. | 你了解事实了 |
[1:42:59] | – Just jump in. – You mean, on my own? | – 就努力做吧 – 你是说 就我自己吗 |
[1:43:01] | You got it. | 你能信 |
[1:43:14] | Did you check his office? | 你试过他的办公室了吗 |
[1:43:16] | That’s what I’m saying, he left already. | 我说的就是这个 他已经走了 |
[1:43:19] | – When? – A few minutes ago. | – 什么时候 – 几分钟前 |
[1:43:21] | Goddamn it, he’s not answering his cell. | 天杀的 他不接手机 |
[1:43:22] | Just keep trying him and let me know, all right? | 继续给他打电话 有消息告诉我 好吗 |
[1:43:31] | Roman. Roman! | |
[1:44:03] | – Okay. – Yeah, I’m back. | – 好了 – 嗯 我回来了 |
[1:44:07] | – What is that? – That’s for you. | – 那是什么 – 是给你的 |
[1:44:11] | – It’s a bulldog. – Amongst other things. | – 是只斗牛犬 – 确实如此 |
[1:44:13] | – It’s so real. – It actually is alive. | – 太真实了 – 实际上它是活的 |
[1:44:17] | Why are you giving it to me? | 你为什么要给我 |
[1:44:19] | To take care of. | 照顾它 |
[1:44:23] | You’re a trip. | 你真疯了 |
[1:44:25] | Well, you’re worth having this thing. | 你配的上它 |
[1:44:28] | Here. Put it up here. | 来 放到这 |
[1:44:31] | – Is it yours? – For a while. | – 是你的吗 – 有一阵了 |
[1:44:33] | Well, then you should keep it, Roman. | 那你就应该留着它 Roman |
[1:44:35] | Well, I don’t have room. | 嗯 我没地方 |
[1:44:37] | – In your apartment. – I gave it up. | – 放公寓里啊 – 我退掉了 |
[1:44:39] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:44:40] | I’m going away. | 我要走了 |
[1:44:42] | Where? | 去哪 |
[1:44:43] | Wherever they send me. | 无论他们送我去哪 |
[1:44:44] | See, something has occurred. Something… | 听着 有些事发生了 有些事… |
[1:44:47] | I’ve just taken a career | 我选择了一场 |
[1:44:49] | which was certainly sincere and… | 绝对真诚和… |
[1:44:51] | And well-intentioned and launched it right into | 发自善心的事业 引领其进入了 |
[1:44:53] | the realm of the truly transformational. | 全然变革的境遇之中 |
[1:44:55] | I promise you that the attorney that triumphs in this instance | 我向你保证不需要最权威 |
[1:44:58] | won’t be the one with the most formal education or legal skill. | 或最厉害的律师就能获得胜利 |
[1:45:01] | Roman, what are you talking about? | Roman 你在说什么呢 |
[1:45:03] | Well, it’s quite interesting, actually. | 实际上 确实很有意思 |
[1:45:05] | – There you are. – Hey, George. | – 你在这 – 嘿 George |
[1:45:07] | This is Maya. Maya, this is George. | 这是Maya Maya 这是George |
[1:45:09] | – Hey. – Hello. | – 嘿 – 你好 |
[1:45:11] | Maya doesn’t | Maya不像一般人 |
[1:45:14] | overlook the vital things… | 对真正珍贵的事物 |
[1:45:18] | like other people. | 视而不见 |
[1:45:20] | And speaking for myself, I’m thankful for that. | 就我而言 我对此十分感激 |
[1:45:23] | Roman tells me that he really enjoys working for you. | Roman和我说他很享受为你工作 |
[1:45:27] | Yeah. George is a protector of rights. That’s truth | 嗯 George确实是权利的捍卫者 是真的 |
[1:45:30] | – in advertising. – I… | – 在广告方面 – 我… |
[1:45:32] | I need to… I need to have a word with you. Can we…? | 我需要…我需要和你谈谈 我们能不能… |
[1:45:35] | – I was leaving anyway. – You just got here. | – 我本来就要走了 – 你才刚到啊 |
[1:45:38] | Sorry, Maya, it’s, uh… | 抱歉 Maya 这… |
[1:45:39] | It’s important. | 这很重要 |
[1:45:41] | This is funny. Just to think… | 真有意思 这么一想 |
[1:45:45] | Three Mondays ago, | 三周前 |
[1:45:47] | I didn’t know either one of you. | 你们我都不认识 |
[1:45:48] | – Roman, I’m concerned about you. – It’s okay. | – Roman 我很担心你 – 没事的 |
[1:45:50] | George and I just need to… | George和我只是需要… |
[1:45:52] | – talk business matters. – Yeah. | – 谈谈公务 – 嗯 |
[1:45:58] | I believe… | 我相信… |
[1:46:00] | the two of you are gonna… | 你们两个会 |
[1:46:03] | get along very well. | 相处的很好的.. |
[1:46:08] | Roman… | |
[1:46:15] | Roman. | |
[1:46:17] | Roman, wait. | Roman 等等 |
[1:46:28] | Roman… | |
[1:46:30] | what the hell is going on? | 到底是怎么了 |
[1:46:32] | From my point of view? | 从我的角度看吗 |
[1:46:34] | I get a call from Fritz. | 我接到Fritz的电话 |
[1:46:36] | Says he has reliable information | 他说消息可靠 |
[1:46:37] | that you turned in Carter Johnson, collected the reward. | 是你告发了Carter Johnson 拿了悬赏 |
[1:46:40] | Here’s what the prosecutor won’t tell you. | 检察官不会告诉你这个 |
[1:46:42] | Jesus Christ, it’s true. | 天啊 是真的 |
[1:46:43] | I’ve been given a gift, George. | 我收到了一份赠礼 George |
[1:46:45] | No, you acted utterly improperly. | 不 你的举动非常失当 |
[1:46:46] | I mean, you broke the law. | 我是说 你违反了法律 |
[1:46:48] | It so wasn’t a gift, Roman. | 那不是份赠礼 Roman |
[1:46:49] | I’m not talking about the money. | 我说的不是钱 |
[1:46:51] | I don’t care about the money, | 我根本不在乎钱 |
[1:46:52] | fruit of the poisonous tree. | 毒树之果 |
[1:46:53] | If you wanna understand | 如果你想理解 |
[1:46:54] | what’s happening, | 发生的一切 |
[1:46:55] | you’re gonna have get past | 你就必须不去管 |
[1:46:57] | all the smoke of legal disputation. | 法律分歧的烟雾弹 |
[1:46:58] | Legal disputation? | 法律分歧 |
[1:47:00] | Roman, these are dangerous people. | Roman 他们都很危险 |
[1:47:01] | You don’t just walk away from this. | 你不会就这样逃脱的 |
[1:47:03] | Not walking away. | 不会逃了 |
[1:47:05] | I’m turning myself in. The station’s on Sixth. | 我要自首了 第六大道的警察局 |
[1:47:13] | Roman. | |
[1:47:18] | I’ll… I’ll walk with you. | 我…我陪你走 |
[1:47:25] | You know, all those years of practicing… | 你知道的 这么多年执律… |
[1:47:28] | scouring law books… | 翻遍法条 |
[1:47:31] | achieving technical triumphs | 通过法律的漏洞和歧义 |
[1:47:33] | through loopholes and ambiguities… | 取得技术性的胜利 |
[1:47:35] | none of which were adequate to save me | 那些都不能帮我 |
[1:47:38] | from the reality of my present situation. | 脱离我当下的现实困境 |
[1:47:40] | Then today, in the middle of nowhere… | 而今天 在不知何处 |
[1:47:42] | lost, had a revelation. | 迷失 又得启示 |
[1:47:45] | An insight so sweeping, so clear. | 我看的如此透彻 如此明晰 |
[1:47:49] | It’s me, George. | 是我 George |
[1:47:51] | See, I didn’t see it before | 我之前不明白 |
[1:47:53] | because I never experienced the other side. | 是因为我从没经历过另一边 |
[1:47:54] | I’m the defendant… | 我是被告… |
[1:47:57] | and the plaintiff simultaneously. | 又同时是原告 |
[1:47:59] | I file against myself, | 我诉我自己 |
[1:48:00] | I represent myself, I convict myself, | 我代理自己 我告倒我自己 |
[1:48:02] | hereby expanding the full scope of the legal desert | 由此在法律荒漠中开辟一片新天地 |
[1:48:05] | because the judgment’s built in. The only thing left | 因为审判是自来的 而唯一剩下的 |
[1:48:08] | is forgiveness, and I grant that to myself. | 是原谅 而我把它赐予自己 |
[1:48:12] | An act doesn’t make the person guilty | 行为不能给人定罪 |
[1:48:14] | unless the mind is guilty as well. | 除非思想亦有罪 |
[1:48:18] | Of course… Of course I expect there’ll be challenges, | 当然…当然 我预期会有司法挑战 |
[1:48:22] | as there’s no precedent | 因为并无先例 |
[1:48:25] | or derivative interpretations, | 或由之而生的结论 |
[1:48:27] | but the argument is sound. | 但论证充足 |
[1:48:32] | The premise true. I have no doubt | 前提成立 我毫不怀疑 |
[1:48:34] | it’ll be upheld by any and all courts of law. | 会通过任何与全部法庭的判决 |
[1:48:36] | You’re insane. | 你疯了 |
[1:48:38] | Never been more clear. | 从未更清醒过 |
[1:48:40] | – That’s what we’ll argue. – Now, watch what you say. | – 我们就提出这点 – 小心你说的话 |
[1:48:42] | You don’t represent me, | 你不代理我 |
[1:48:44] | so the rules of confidentiality don’t apply. | 所以保密协定不会生效 |
[1:48:46] | My entire defense will be based | 我的全部辩护会建立在 |
[1:48:48] | on the unequivocal recitation of the truth. | 明确表述的真相上 |
[1:48:55] | I know you get it, George. | 我知道你理解的 George |
[1:49:00] | You have such a tremendous future. | 你有如此灿烂的未来 |
[1:49:01] | It’s so bright, I… | 如此明亮 我… |
[1:49:03] | I swear, it’s…. | 我发誓 简直… |
[1:49:05] | It’s blinding. | 让人目眩 |
[1:49:11] | Jesus. | 天啊 |
[1:50:40] | Hello? | 你好 |
[1:50:48] | Of course I remember you, that’s why I gave you my card. | 对 我当然记得你了 所以才给了你名片 |
[1:51:58] | I… I like the idea of starting the conversation | 我…我喜欢在开始谈 |
[1:52:01] | with how protest is still relevant or not, | 抗议是否相关的理由 |
[1:52:05] | because, you know, we approach these things | 因为 你们知道 我们通过一种特定的传统 |
[1:52:09] | with a certain tradition, | 来追求这些东西 |
[1:52:12] | a certain, you know, uh, repetition of behavior, | 一种特定的 你懂的 重复的行为 |
[1:52:16] | and sometimes after thinking through it, | 而有时候在彻底考虑之后 |
[1:52:19] | we have to find new approaches. | 我们要找到新的方法 |
[1:52:30] | To whom it may concern, | 至相关者 |
[1:52:32] | I’m returning the reward money. | 我将赏金退还 |
[1:52:35] | Taking it was wrong, | 取之本就有错 |
[1:52:37] | and I’m compelled to remedy my mistake. | 我必需修正我的错误 |
[1:52:39] | I did spend $5,547.27, which I will repay. | 我花了$5,547.27 而我会归还 |
[1:52:46] | I bought three suits, size 50 regular. | 我买了三件套西装 50码常规版型 |
[1:52:49] | And I did buy two pairs of Italian loafers, size 11. | 我买了两双意大利乐福鞋 11码 |
[1:52:53] | One black, one brown. | 一双黑色 一双棕色 |
[1:52:58] | We were all formed of frailty | 我们都有弱点 |
[1:53:00] | and error. | 和差错 |
[1:53:02] | Let us pardon, reciprocally, | 我们应当相互原谅 |
[1:53:05] | each other’s folly. | 彼此的错行 |
[1:53:08] | That is the first law | 那是自然的 |
[1:53:10] | of nature. | 第一法则 |
[1:53:59] | I’m filing a federal brief in District Nine. | 我要向九区法庭提交一份联邦诉讼摘要 |
[1:54:55] | Subtitles by explosiveskull |