英文名称:Paths of Glory
年代:1957
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:35] | War began between Germany and France | 德国和法国之间的战争 |
[01:38] | on August 3, 1914. | 开始于1914年8月3日 |
[01:41] | Five weeks later, the German army had smashed its way… | 5周后 德国军队已经突破到 |
[01:44] | to within 18 miles of Paris. | 离巴黎不到18英里的地方 |
[01:47] | There, the battered French | 被打得灰头土脸的法军 |
[01:48] | miraculously rallied their forces at the Marne River… | 却奇迹般地在马恩河集结 |
[01:51] | and in a series of unexpected counterattacks … | 经过一系列出奇制胜的反击 |
[01:54] | Drove the Germans back. | 把德国人赶了回去 |
[01:56] | The front was stabilized… | 前线稳固了 |
[01:58] | then shortly afterwards developed into | 不久后形成了 |
[02:00] | a continuous line… of heavily fortified trenches… | 一条高度设防 没有缝隙的战壕 |
[02:02] | zigzagging their way 500 miles… | 曲曲折折绵延500英里 |
[02:04] | from the English Channel to the Swiss frontier. | 从英吉利海峡一直到瑞士边境 |
[02:08] | By 1916, after two grisly years of trench warfare… | 到了1916年 经过两年惨烈的的堑壕战 |
[02:12] | the battle lines had changed very little. | 战线几乎没有改变 |
[02:15] | Successful attacks were measured in hundreds of yards… | 有效的攻击都是数百码外的 |
[02:19] | and paid for in lives by hundreds of thousands. | 数十万士兵因此丧生 |
[02:25] | General Broulard, sir. | 布罗拉得将军到了 长官 |
[02:27] | Hello, George. How are you? | 你好啊 乔治 |
[02:29] | Paul, wonderful seeing you again. Really wonderful. | 保罗 再次见到你太好了 真是太好了 |
[02:32] | Well, this is splendid. It’s superb. | 你这真是金碧辉煌啊 是第一流的 |
[02:35] | It’s grand, very grand. | 气派 非常气派 |
[02:38] | Well, I’ve tried to create | 我是试着 |
[02:39] | a pleasant atmosphere in which to work. | 让工作环境舒服点 |
[02:41] | Well, you’ve succeeded marvelously. | 那你干的不错啊 |
[02:42] | I wish I had your taste in carpets. And pictures. | 看看这些地毯和绘画 我希望能有你这样好的品味 |
[02:45] | You’re much too kind, George. | 你过奖了 乔治 |
[02:46] | – Much too kind. Sit down, George. – Thankyou. | -过奖了 坐吧 -谢谢 |
[02:48] | I really haven’t done very much. | 其实我没有改动多少 |
[02:50] | The place is much the same as it was when I moved in. | 我刚搬来的时候差不多就是这样 |
[02:54] | Paul, I’ve come to see you about something big. | 保罗 我这次来是关于一件大事的 |
[02:58] | It’s top secret and | 这是最高机密 |
[03:00] | must go no further than your chief of staff and not to him | 不能轻易告诉下属 |
[03:03] | unless you can trust his discretion. | 除非他的谨慎值得你信任 |
[03:04] | Of course. | 当然 |
[03:06] | A group of armies is forming on this front | 为了即将展开的进攻 |
[03:07] | for an offensive very soon. | 这条战线上正在集结一批部队 |
[03:09] | Headquarters is determined to make a complete breakthrough. | 总部决心来一个彻底的突破 |
[03:11] | – Why are you smiling? – I’m really sorry. | -你笑什么? -很抱歉 |
[03:14] | I thought for just a moment | 刚刚有一瞬间 |
[03:15] | I knew what you were going to say. Please go on. | 我想我知道你要说什么 请继续说吧 |
[03:17] | I never knew you were a mind reader. | 我从不知道你会读心术 |
[03:19] | What did you think I was about to say? | 你认为我要说什么? |
[03:21] | – Something about the “Anthill. ” – You are a mind reader. | -跟蚁丘有关 -你确实会读心术 |
[03:24] | Well, it is a key position. It’s in my sector. | 好吧 这是一处要塞 又在我的防区内 |
[03:28] | To be perfectly honest, I’ve heard some talk. | 完全坦白地讲 我听到了一些传言 |
[03:30] | You know, there’s nothing really secret around headquarters. | 你知道 总部没有真正的秘密的 |
[03:33] | Well, what do you think? | 你怎么看? |
[03:34] | It’s the key to the whole German position in this sector. | 就整个德军在本防区的布防来看 这处要塞是关键 |
[03:37] | They’ve held on to it for a year now… | 他们已经守了一年了 |
[03:39] | and it looks as though they’ll hold on to it for another year | 看起来 只要他们愿意 |
[03:40] | if they want to. | 再守一年也没问题 |
[03:41] | Paul, I have formal orders | 保罗 我接到正式命令 |
[03:42] | to take the Ant hill no later than the 10th. | 最晚在10号 必须拿下蚁丘 |
[03:44] | That’s the day after tomorrow. | 就是后天 |
[03:45] | That comes pretty close to being ridiculous, don’t you think? | 这几乎称得上可笑 你不觉得吗? |
[03:48] | I don’t imagine I’d be here if I really thought that. | 如果我真这样想的话 我就不会来这了 |
[03:51] | Paul, if there’s one man in this army | 保罗 如果在军中有人 |
[03:54] | who can do this for me, it’s you. | 能为我做这件事 那这个人就是你 |
[03:56] | It’s out of the question, George. Absolutely out of the question. | 不可能 绝对不可能 |
[04:00] | My division was cut to pieces. | 我的师被打得七零八落 |
[04:02] | What’s left of it is in no position to even hold the Ant hill, | 剩下的部队处于不利形势 想守住防线都有困难 |
[04:04] | let alone take it. | 更不可能攻下蚁丘 |
[04:06] | I’m sorry, but that’s the truth. | 很抱歉 但这是事实 |
[04:09] | Well, Paul, there was something else I wanted to tell you. | 好吧 我还要告诉你一些别的事情 |
[04:12] | However, I’m sure that | 但是我敢肯定 |
[04:13] | you’ll misunderstand my motives in mentioning it. | 你会误解我的动机 |
[04:15] | – What was it? – Oh. You’d be bound to misunderstand. | -是什么事? -噢 你一定会误解的 |
[04:20] | However, as your friend, maybe I should tell you. | 但是 作为朋友 也许我应该告诉你 |
[04:24] | What are you trying to say, George? | 你想说什么? |
[04:25] | Paul, talk around headquarters is | 保罗 总部传出流言 |
[04:27] | that you are being considered for the 12th Corps. | 正在考虑让你统领第12军 |
[04:30] | – The 12th Corps? – Yes, and with that, another star. | -第12军? -是的 再加一颗星[代表职衔的星章] |
[04:33] | Now, I’ve pushed it all I can. | 我已尽我所能 推动此事 |
[04:35] | The 12th Corps needs a fighting general, | 第12军需要一位能打仗的将军 |
[04:37] | and you’re overdue on that star. | 你早就该得到这颗星了 |
[04:38] | Now, we both know that your record is good enough… | 咱俩都明白 你的履历足够优秀 |
[04:40] | for you to refuse this assignment on the grounds you’ve stated. | 以至于你可以根据刚才所说的理由 拒绝这项任务 |
[04:43] | No one would question your opinion. | 没有人会质疑你的观点 |
[04:45] | They’d simply get someone else to do the job. | 他们只会去另找他人执行这个任务 |
[04:48] | So you shouldn’t let this influence your opinion, Paul. | 所以 你不应该让这些影响你的观点 保罗 |
[04:54] | Oh, I’m sorry. Have a cognac? | 噢 抱歉 来杯科尼亚克白兰地? |
[04:55] | No, thanks, Paul, not before dinner. | 不 谢谢 保罗 晚饭前我不喝 |
[05:01] | George, I’m responsible for the lives of 8,000 men. | 乔治 我要为8千名士兵的生命负责 |
[05:06] | What is my ambition against that? | 与之相比 我的抱负算什么? |
[05:09] | What is my reputation in comparison to that? | 与之相比 我的名誉算什么? |
[05:12] | My men come first of all, George, | 我的士兵是第一位的 乔治 |
[05:14] | – …and those men know it too. – I know that they do. | -他们也清楚这一点 -我知道 |
[05:17] | You see, George, those men know that I would never let them down. | 你看 乔治 他们知道我绝不会让他们失望的 |
[05:20] | That goes without saying. | 这是不言而喻的 |
[05:22] | The life of one of those soldiers means more to me… | 对我而言 一名士兵的生命 |
[05:25] | than all the stars and decorations and honors in France. | 比法国所有职衔 奖章和荣誉更有意义 |
[05:28] | So…you think | 所以 你觉得 |
[05:31] | this attack is absolutely beyond the ability | 你的军队目前的战斗力 |
[05:32] | of your men at this time? | 不足以发起这次进攻? |
[05:34] | I didn’t say that, George. | 我没这么说 乔治 |
[05:37] | Nothing is beyond those men, | 一旦这些士兵的战斗欲望被燃起 |
[05:39] | once their fighting spirit is aroused. | 没有什么做不到的 |
[05:41] | Paul, I don’t want to push you into it | 保罗 如果你觉得这次进攻计划不明智 |
[05:43] | if you think it’s ill-advised. | 我不想强迫你 |
[05:44] | Don’t worry, George. You couldn’t do that ifyou tried. | 别担心 乔治 你试试就知道 你不可能强迫我 |
[05:49] | Of course, artillery would make an enormous difference. | 当然 如果有炮火支援将会完全不一样 |
[05:52] | What artillery support can you give me? | 你能给我提供什么样的炮火支援? |
[05:53] | Well, I’ll see. | 唔 我会去弄清楚的 |
[05:55] | – What about replacements? – We’ll see what we can do | -增援呢? -我们会尽力 |
[05:57] | but I feel sure that you can get along with what you have. | 但是我确信 你能用你手头的部队完成任务 |
[06:01] | Might just do it. | 也许刚刚好能完成 |
[06:02] | Oh, Paul. I knew that I was right to come to you. | 噢 保罗 我就知道来找你是对的 |
[06:05] | You are the man to take the Ant hill. | 你就是拿下蚁丘的人 |
[06:07] | Now, as far as that star is concerned … | 至于那颗星… |
[06:09] | That had nothing to do with my decision. | 那与我的决定无关! |
[06:11] | If anything, it would sway me the other way. | 如果有关 它会使我做出相反的决定 |
[06:13] | I realize that perfectly, Paul. | 我完全明白 保罗 |
[06:15] | Now, when do you say you see this coming off? | 对了 你说要什么时候攻下它? |
[06:17] | – No later than the day after tomorrow. – We just might do it. | -不迟于后天 -我们或许能做到! |
[06:43] | Hello there, soldier. Ready to kill more Germans? | 你好 士兵 准备好多杀些德国人了吗? |
[06:46] | – Yes, sir. – What’s your name, soldier? | -是的 长官 -你叫什么名字 士兵? |
[06:48] | Sir, Private Ferol, Company “A. “ | 长官 二等兵弗罗 A连的 |
[06:50] | – Uh-huh. Are you married, Private? – No, sir. | -啊哈 你结婚了吗 士兵? -没有 长官 |
[06:52] | – Well, I’ll bet your mother’s proud of you. – Yes, sir. | -那么 你母亲一定为你感到骄傲 -是的 长官 |
[06:54] | Well, carry on, Private, and good luck to you. | 好的 继续努力 士兵 祝你好运 |
[06:57] | Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. | 是的 长官! 谢谢 长官! |
[07:04] | – Good morning, General. – Good morning. | -早上好 将军 -早上好 |
[07:06] | Hello there, soldier. | 你好 士兵 |
[07:08] | – Ready to kill more Germans?- Yes, sir. | -准备好多杀些德国人了吗? -是的 长官 |
[07:10] | Aha! Working over your rifle, I see. | 啊哈 我看见你在擦拭你的步枪 |
[07:12] | Well, that’s the way. It’s a soldier’s best friend. | 好 就该这样做 步枪是士兵最好的朋友 |
[07:15] | You be good to it, and it’ll always be good to you. | 你对它好 它会永远对你好 |
[07:17] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[07:22] | Well, uh, good luck to you, soldier. | 好吧 祝你好运 士兵 |
[07:24] | – Carry on. – Thankyou, sir. | -继续努力吧 -谢谢 长官 |
[07:52] | Hello there, soldier. | 你好 士兵 |
[07:54] | Ready to kill more Germans? | 准备好多杀些德国人了吗? |
[07:58] | Well, is everything all right, soldier? | 一切都好吗 士兵? |
[08:00] | All right? Yes, sir, I’m all right. | 一切都好 是的 长官 我很好 |
[08:03] | Aha. Good fellow. | 啊哈 好样的 |
[08:04] | Are you married, soldier? | 你结婚了吗 士兵? |
[08:06] | Married? Me, married? | 结婚? 我 结婚了吗? |
[08:09] | – Yes. Have you got a wife? – A wife? Have I got a wife? | -是的 你有妻子吗? -妻子? 我有妻子吗? |
[08:13] | Sir, he’s a bit shell-shocked. | 长官 他有点炮弹休克症 |
[08:15] | I beg your pardon, Sergeant. | 你说什么 中士 |
[08:18] | There is no such thing as shell shock. | 世上就不存在炮弹休克症 |
[08:21] | – Have you got a wife, soldier? – My wife? | -你有妻子吗 士兵? -我的妻子? |
[08:22] | My wife. Yes, I have a wife. | 我的妻子 是的 我有妻子 |
[08:27] | I’m never gonna see her again. I’m gonna be killed. | 我再也见不到她了 我会死在战场上 |
[08:29] | Get a grip on yourself! You’re acting like a coward! | 振作点! 你就像一个胆小鬼! |
[08:32] | – I am a coward, sir. – Snap out of it, soldier! | -我是个胆小鬼 长官 -振作起来 士兵! |
[08:34] | Sergeant, I want you to arrange for the immediate | 中士 我要你立即 |
[08:36] | transfer of this baby out of my regiment! | 把这小婴儿调离我的团! |
[08:38] | I won’t have other brave men contaminated by him! | 我不希望其他的勇士被他感染 |
[08:41] | – Yes, sir. – Carry on, Sergeant. | -遵命 长官 -继续努力 中士 |
[08:46] | You were right, sir. | 你是对的 长官 |
[08:48] | This sort of thing can spread if it isn’t checked. | 如果没有查出来 这种情绪会传染的 |
[08:51] | You know, General, I’m convinced that these tours of yours… | 将军 我相信你的巡视 |
[08:53] | have an incalculable effect upon the morale of these men. | 能极大提升这些士兵的士气 |
[08:56] | In fact, I think the fighting spirit of the 701 st derives from it. | 我想701团的战斗精神正是来源于此 |
[08:59] | No, no, Major. That spirit was just born in them. | 不 少校 那来源于他们自己 |
[09:08] | The general is coming, sir. | 将军来了 长官 |
[09:25] | Always a pleasure to see you, Colonel. | 见到你我总是很高兴 上校 |
[09:27] | I’m honored, General. | 荣幸之至 将军 |
[09:28] | It’s our privilege entirely. | 这完全是我们的荣幸 |
[09:30] | Well, quite a neat little spot you have here. | 嗯 你这儿真是小而整洁 |
[09:33] | I reserve comment on the neatness, sir, but it is little. | 整洁谈不上 长官 不过确实够小的 |
[09:37] | Pretty shy on seating accommodations though. | 不好意思 太寒碜了 请坐吧 |
[09:39] | More than enough for me. I never got the habit of sitting. | 对我来说足够了 我没有坐的习惯 |
[09:42] | Like to be on my feet. Keep on the move. | 我喜欢站着 时刻处于机动状态 |
[09:45] | I can vouch for that, Colonel. | 这我可以担保 上校 |
[09:47] | I can hardly get the general | 签署命令的时候 |
[09:48] | behind a desk long enough to sign an order. | 我都没办法让将军在桌子后面多坐一会儿 |
[09:50] | Well, that’s the way I am, you know, Dax. | 这就是我的方式 你知道的 达克斯 |
[09:52] | I can’t understand these armchair officers… | 我搞不懂那些坐在扶手椅上 |
[09:55] | fellows trying to fight a war from behind a desk… | 想从桌子后面发动进攻的军官 |
[09:58] | waving papers at the enemy… | 向敌人挥舞着文件 |
[10:00] | worrying about whether a | 担心着会不会 |
[10:01] | mouse is going to run up their pants leg. | 有老鼠钻进他们的裤腿 |
[10:03] | I don’t know, General. If I had the choice between mice and Mausers… | 我不知道 将军 如果能从老鼠和枪子之间选 |
[10:06] | I think I’d take the mice every time. | 我每次都会选老鼠 |
[10:07] | You’ll never make me believe that, Colonel. | 我才不信呢 上校 |
[10:10] | Seriously though, if a man’s a ninny… | 认真的说 如果是个傻子 |
[10:12] | let him put on a dress and hide under the bed. | 那就让他穿上礼服 藏在床下吧 |
[10:15] | But if he wants to be a soldier, | 但如果他想成为一名士兵 |
[10:16] | then, by heavens, he’s got to be one. | 他就必须做士兵该做的 |
[10:18] | He’s got to fight, | 他必须战斗 |
[10:19] | and he can’t do that unless he’s where the fighting is. | 而他只有待在战场上才能战斗 |
[10:21] | – That’s my credo. – I think I have to agree with you, | -这是我的信条 -我想我只能赞同你 |
[10:25] | presenting your case so convincingly, sir. | 你说的太让人信服了 长官 |
[10:27] | And you’ve never failed to live up to it, sir. | 你从来都不会让我们对你的期待落空 |
[10:28] | I imagine you’d like a look around, wouldn’t you? | 我觉得你肯定想看看周围情况 不是吗? |
[10:30] | Yes, Colonel. | 是的 上校 |
[10:32] | Well, here’s something to see. | 看看这个 蚁丘 |
[10:34] | The Anthill. About as good a view | 这是最佳视角了 |
[10:35] | as you can get without actually being there. | 除非我们占领那里 |
[10:37] | Well, that won’t be long now, will it? | 指日可待了 不是吗? |
[10:43] | Ah. | 啊 |
[10:46] | Ah. Yeah. | 嗯 |
[10:48] | Well, I’ve seen much more formidable objectives. | 嗯 我看到更多难以攻克的目标 |
[10:52] | Much, much worse. | 比之前还要困难许多啊 |
[10:59] | Well, not something we can grab and run away with… | 嗯 虽然不是我们唾手可得之物 |
[11:03] | but certainly pregnable. | 但肯定是可以被攻破的 |
[11:05] | – Sounds kind of odd, though, doesn’t it? – Why? | -虽然听起来有点怪 不是吗? -为什么? |
[11:08] | Well, like something to do with giving birth. | 呵呵 说得跟生孩子一样 |
[11:10] | Oh, yes. Quite. You’re right on your toes this morning, Colonel. | 哦 是的 不错 你今天早晨很机灵啊 上校 |
[11:14] | Even sharper than usual. But we mustn’t forget, | 甚至比以往更机敏 但我们绝不会忘记 |
[11:16] | the colonel was perhaps the foremost criminal lawyer in all France. | 上校也许是全法国最好的刑事律师 |
[11:20] | – Of course, General. – Gentlemen, you’re both much too kind. | -当然了 将军 -先生们 你们太客气了 |
[11:24] | Tell me, Colonel, how did your relief come off last night? | 告诉我 上校 你们昨晚换防的情况如何? |
[11:27] | We drew some artillery. Twenty-nine casualties, sir. | 我们遭到了一些炮击 29人伤亡 长官 |
[11:30] | Yes, I noticed it on the road in. | 是的 我在来的路上注意到了 |
[11:32] | Utterly inexcusable. Stupid. | 绝对不可原谅 真蠢 |
[11:34] | All swarmed together like a bunch of flies, | 所有人如同一群苍蝇般挤在一起 |
[11:36] | just waiting for someone to swat ’em. | 等着被人拍死 |
[11:37] | Well, they never learn, it seems. | 似乎他们从来不吸取教训 |
[11:39] | They get in a tight spot under heavy fire, gang up every time. | 在狭窄的地方 猛烈的炮火之下 每次还都挤在一起 |
[11:43] | Herd instinct, I suppose. Kind of a lower-animal sort of thing. | 我想这是畜牲的本能 某种低等动物的本能 |
[11:46] | Kind of a human sort of thing, it seems to me… | 我看是某种人类的本能 |
[11:48] | or don’t you make a distinction between the two, Major? | 你分不清这两者的区别吗 少校? |
[11:50] | Oh, yes, uh, very regrettable, of course. | 噢 是的 呃 非常不幸 当然 |
[11:53] | Very. Yes, indeed. | 非常 是的 非常 |
[11:54] | Uh, Major, would you be kind enough to excuse us for a few minutes? | 少校 你能回避一下吗? |
[11:57] | Yes, sir. Of course. | 遵命 长官 当然可以 |
[12:00] | Colonel. | 上校 |
[12:06] | Well, Colonel, what do you think of it? | 好吧 上校 你认为怎么样? |
[12:09] | – What do I think of what, sir? – The Anthill. | -我认为什么怎么样 长官? -蚁丘 |
[12:12] | Colonel, your regiment is going to take the Anthill tomorrow. | 上校 你们团明天要攻下蚁丘 |
[12:17] | You know the condition of my men, sir. | 你知道我们的情况 长官 |
[12:19] | Oh, naturally, men are going to have to be killed. | 噢 当然 一些士兵将不得不牺牲 |
[12:21] | Possibly a lot of them. They absorb bullets and shrapnel… | 可能会牺牲很多 一些士兵将会吃枪子和弹片… |
[12:24] | and by doing so make it possible for others to get through. | 所以其他人才有可能突破过去 |
[12:27] | – What support will we have? – I have none to give you. | -有什么支援? -什么都没有 |
[12:31] | What sort of casualties do you anticipate, sir? | 你预计伤亡情况将会是什么样的 长官? |
[12:34] | Hmm, say, five percent killed by our own barrage. | 这么说吧 5%会死在自己人的火力网下 |
[12:37] | That’s a very generous allowance. | 这比通常能够接受的伤亡数字大很多 |
[12:39] | Ten percent more in getting through no-man’s-land… | 10%能突破到无人地带 |
[12:41] | and 20% more getting through the wire. | 20%能突破到铁丝网 |
[12:44] | That leaves 65% with the worst part of the job over. | 还剩下65%的士兵 去完成最艰难的部分 |
[12:48] | Let’s say another 25% in actually taking the Anthill. | 假设25%的士兵实际占领了蚁丘 |
[12:52] | We’re still left with a force more than adequate to hold it. | 那也足够守住它了 |
[12:55] | General, you’re saying that more than half | 将军 你是说超过一半的 |
[12:56] | of my men will be killed. | 士兵将会战死 |
[12:58] | Yes, it’s a terrible price to pay, Colonel… | 是的 可怕的代价 上校 |
[13:01] | – but we will have the Anthill. – But will we, sir? | -但是 我们将占领蚁丘 -但是我们能吗 长官? |
[13:05] | I’m depending on you, Colonel. All France is depending on you. | 我全靠你了 上校 整个法国就全靠你了 |
[13:13] | Am I amusing you, Colonel? | 你觉得我在开玩笑吗 上校? |
[13:16] | I’m not a bull, General. | 我不是公牛 将军 |
[13:17] | I don’t need a flag waved in front of me to get me to charge. | 我不需要面前挥舞的旗帜来激发我的斗志 |
[13:19] | I don’t think I like your comparison | 我不喜欢 |
[13:21] | of the flag of France to a bullfighter’s cape. | 你把法国国旗比作斗牛士的斗篷 |
[13:22] | I meant nothing disrespectful to the flag of France, sir. | 我没有不尊重法国国旗的意思 长官 |
[13:25] | Patriotism may be old-fashioned, | 爱国主义也许过时了 |
[13:26] | but show me a patriot, and I’ll show you an honest man. | 但爱国者是真诚的 |
[13:28] | Not everyone has always thought so. | 不是每个人都一直这么想 |
[13:30] | Samuel Johnson had something else to say about patriotism. | 塞缪尔·约翰逊对爱国主义发表过不同看法 |
[13:32] | And what was that, may I ask? | 我可以问一下是什么看法吗? |
[13:35] | – Nothing really. – What you do mean, “Nothing really”? | -其实没什么 -“其实没什么”是什么意思? |
[13:38] | Come on, sir, nothing really important. | 拜托 长官 这并不重要 |
[13:39] | Colonel, when I ask a question, it’s always important. | 上校 我问你的问题 都是重要的 |
[13:41] | – Now, who was this man? – Samuel Johnson, sir. | -这人叫什么? -塞缪尔·约翰逊 长官 |
[13:44] | All right. Now, what did he have to say about patriotism? | 好的 他对爱国主义怎么看? |
[13:46] | He said it was the last refuge of a scoundrel, sir. | 他说那是无赖的最后一处庇护所 长官 |
[13:49] | I’m sorry. I meant nothing personal. | 对不起 我不是针对个人 |
[13:52] | You’re tired, Dax. You’re very tired. | 你累了 达克斯 你很累了 |
[13:55] | It’s you who are exhausted, not your men. | 是你已经筋疲力尽了 而不是你的士兵 |
[13:57] | And it’s my fault. | 是我的失误 |
[13:59] | I’ve given you one impossible task after another. | 我接二连三地给你艰巨的任务 |
[14:01] | You need rest. You need it badly. | 你需要休息 非常需要 |
[14:02] | I haven’t said anything about needing rest, sir. | 我没有说过要休息 长官 |
[14:04] | And you never would either. Therefore, | 你也绝不会说出来 那么 |
[14:05] | you’re not going to have any say-so about it, Colonel. | 你将不会谈论任何有关休息的事了 上校 |
[14:07] | As from right now, I’m ordering you on indefinite furlough. | 因为从现在开始 我下令给你放个无限期的长假 |
[14:10] | General, you can’t take me away from my men. | 将军 你不能把我和我的士兵分开 |
[14:11] | You can’t do that to me, sir. | 你不能这样对我 长官! |
[14:13] | Not to you, Dax. For you. | 不是对你 达克斯 是为了你 |
[14:15] | For your good and for the good of your men. | 为了你和你的士兵们好 |
[14:16] | The good of my men, sir? | 为我的士兵好 长官? |
[14:18] | If a commanding officer lacks confidence, | 如果一个指挥官缺乏信心 |
[14:20] | what can we expect of his men? | 我们还能指望他的士兵有信心吗? |
[14:22] | Naturally, I don’t want to relieve you, | 当然 我不是想撤你的职 |
[14:24] | but I must have your enthusiastic support. | 但我必须得到你热情的支持 |
[14:26] | Not once have you said that your men can take the Anthill. | 我需要你说你们可以拿下蚁丘 |
[14:32] | We’ll take the Anthill. | 我们会拿下蚁丘 |
[14:36] | If any soldiers in the world can take it… | 如果世界上有士兵可以拿下… |
[14:39] | we’ll take the Anthill. | 那我们就能拿下蚁丘 |
[14:41] | And when you do, your men will be relieved and get a long rest. | 成功之后 你的部队将会得到一个长假 |
[15:01] | Corporal Paris and Private Lejeune reporting, sir. | 下士帕瑞斯和二等兵勒琼报告 长官 |
[15:04] | You took your time about it. | 你们还真是磨磨蹭蹭啊 |
[15:05] | We prepared as quick as we could, sir. | 我们已经尽快准备了 长官 |
[15:07] | We had to alert the sentries. | 况且我们还要通知哨兵 |
[15:09] | All right. You men, at ease. This is a reconnaissance patrol … | 好吧 稍息 这是一次侦察任务 |
[15:13] | German wire, machine gun posts… identification of bodies. | 德军的铁丝网 机枪位置 人数 |
[15:17] | There will only be the three of us, and we’re to avoid a fight if we can. | 只有我们三个人 要尽量避免交火 |
[15:22] | We go out to the left, | 我们从左边出去 |
[15:23] | and we come back through Post 6 on the right. | 然后从右边的6号据点回来 |
[15:27] | Is everything all clear at Post 6? | 6号据点的情况如何? |
[15:28] | All the sentries have been warned up to here. | 所有哨兵都已通知到位 |
[15:29] | Number 6 will send up flares at 10-minute intervals starting at 0400. | 从4:00起 6号据点会每隔10分钟发射一次照明弹 |
[15:33] | – I wanted them every five minutes. – I told them that, sir. | -我希望是每隔5分钟 -我告诉过他们了 长官 |
[15:36] | The sergeant says every five minutes is too much. | 那个中士说5分钟太频繁了 |
[15:38] | He says it’s certain to draw artillery. | 会招来炮击的 |
[15:39] | Quite a strategist, this sergeant. What’s his name? | 这位中士是军事家吗? 他叫什么名字? |
[15:41] | I don’t know, sir. | 我不知道 长官 |
[15:45] | All right. You men wait outside. I’ll join you in a minute. | 好的 你们在外面等着 我一会儿就来 |
[15:48] | Would you mind telling us the password, sir? | 请问可以告诉我们行动密码吗 长官? |
[15:51] | – Calais. – Yes, sir. | -加莱 -是的 长官 |
[16:02] | – He’s fortifying himself. – It smelled like heaven. | -他在给自己壮胆 -那酒闻起来很香啊 |
[16:05] | I can always tell when he’s had a few. He gets sarcastic. | 一看就知道喝了不少 说话这么刻薄 |
[16:08] | Well, at least he could have passed it around, the pig. | 嗯 至少可以让兄弟们每人都喝点嘛 这个猪头 |
[16:11] | Hey, what’s he got against you anyway? | 嘿 他怎么惹你了? |
[16:14] | We went to school together before the war. | 战争爆发前 我们是同学 |
[16:17] | He thinks I don’t have enough respect for him. He’s right. | 他觉得我不够尊重他 他说对了 |
[16:22] | If you gentlemen are ready. | 你们准备好了吗? |
[16:29] | Colonel. | 上校 |
[16:30] | – Everything clear and understood? – Yes, sir. | -了解你们的任务了吗? -是的 长官 |
[16:33] | The lane through our wire is right out in front here. | 通过我们铁丝网的通道就在这前面 |
[16:36] | Machine guns are pointing at the opening. | 机枪都对着通道呢 |
[16:38] | – Good luck, men. – Thank you, sir. | -祝你们好运 -谢谢 长官 |
[16:40] | All right, men. Let’s go. | 好的 我们出发 |
[18:37] | – What’s that? – I don’t know. | -那是什么? -我不知道 |
[18:41] | Lejeune, move out and look that over. We’ll cover you. | 勒琼 过去看看 我们掩护你 |
[18:46] | Split up a night patrol? | 你要我们在夜间巡逻中分散开? |
[18:49] | Move out, Lejeune. | 快去 勒琼 |
[20:15] | I don’t like this. Let’s get out of here. | 我不喜欢这儿 我们走吧 |
[20:17] | We haven’t given him enough time. | 我们要多等他一些时间 |
[20:25] | If we wait any longer, they’ll get us too. | 我们继续等的话 也会被干掉的 |
[20:27] | We’ve got to wait for him. | 我们应该等他 |
[20:32] | He must be dead. Where is he? | 他肯定死了 他在哪儿? |
[20:40] | Roget! | 罗杰! |
[21:34] | – Well. – Surprised, Lieutenant? | -哇 -惊讶吧 中尉? |
[21:37] | Yes, I am. Happily surprised. I thought you’d been killed. | 是的 很惊喜 我还以为你被打死了 |
[21:41] | You didn’t wait around to find out, did you, Lieutenant? | 你没有等在那里确认一下 对吧 中尉? |
[21:44] | Now, look here. What do you mean? | 你这么说 是什么意思? |
[21:45] | I mean, you ran like a rabbit after you killed Lejeune. | 我是说你杀了勒琼 然后像个兔子似的溜了 |
[21:49] | Killed Lejeune? What are you talking about? | 杀了勒琼? 你在说什么? |
[21:52] | I don’t think I like your tone. | 我不喜欢你的语气 |
[21:55] | You’re speaking to an officer. Remember that. | 记住 你正在和一位军官说话 |
[21:57] | Oh, well, I must be mistaken then, sir. | 噢 那肯定是我搞错了 长官 |
[22:01] | An officer wouldn’t do that. | 一个军官不会做出这种事的 |
[22:03] | A man wouldn’t do it. | 一个男人不会做出这种事的 |
[22:06] | Only a thing would. | 只有一种东西会 |
[22:08] | – A sneaky, booze-guzzling, yellow-bellied rat … – Now … | -一只鬼鬼祟祟的 醉醺醺的 -你… |
[22:10] | with a bottle for a brain and | 黄肚皮的老鼠 |
[22:12] | a streak of spit where his spine ought to be. | 大脑被酒精麻痹 脊梁骨像唾沫一样… |
[22:14] | That’s enough, Corporal! | 够了 下士! |
[22:16] | You’ve got yourself into a mess, Lieutenant. | 你让自己陷入了麻烦当中 中尉? |
[22:18] | Oh, I have, have I? | 噢 是吗? |
[22:19] | Well, you’ve got yourself in a worse one. | 那么 你让自己陷入了更大的麻烦中 |
[22:21] | First, general insubordination. | 第一 不服从上级 |
[22:23] | Second, threatening your superior officer. | 第二 威胁你的上司 |
[22:26] | Third, refusing to obey an order | 第三 拒绝服从命令 |
[22:29] | and inciting others to do the same. | 并煽动其他人也这样做 |
[22:30] | Now, how do you think those charges are gonna look on paper? | 你觉得这些指控写在报告里会怎样? |
[22:33] | Not half as bad as these. | 与下面这些相比不值一提 |
[22:35] | Endangering the lives of your men through recklessness. | 鲁莽行事让士兵身陷险境 |
[22:38] | Drunk on duty. Wanton murder of one of your own men | 上岗时酗酒 蓄意杀死战友 |
[22:42] | and cowardice in the face of the enemy. | 面对敌人时胆小如鼠 |
[22:47] | Philippe, have you ever tried to bring charges against an officer? | 菲利普 你想指控一位军官吗? |
[22:52] | It’s my word against yours, you know. | 你知道 是咱俩对质 |
[22:55] | And whose word do you think they’re gonna believe? | 你觉得他们会相信谁的话? |
[22:57] | Or l-let me put it another way. | 或者换个说法 |
[22:59] | Whose word do you think they’re going to accept? | 他们会接受谁的说法呢? |
[23:02] | Now, I’ll tell you what I’m willing to do. | 现在 我告诉你我会怎么做 |
[23:05] | So far, all I have written in this report… | 到目前为止 我在报告里写的是 |
[23:08] | is that you and Lejeune were killed while out on patrol. | 你和勒琼在侦察时牺牲了 |
[23:11] | I’ll fix this to read that you made your way back… | 我会改成 我们在交火中分散之后 |
[23:14] | after becoming separated during the skirmish. | 你活着回来了 |
[23:16] | That’ll end the matter once and for all. | 这样就一劳永逸地把事情解决了 |
[23:17] | You killed Lejeune. You know that, don’t you? | 你杀了勒琼 你知道的 不是吗? |
[23:19] | I’m sorry. It was an accident. | 我很抱歉 那是一个意外 |
[23:20] | You threw that grenade and killed him. | 你投了手榴弹并且杀了他 |
[23:21] | I’d give anything in the world | 事实上 如果这件事没有发生 |
[23:22] | if it hadn’t have happened, and that’s the truth. | 我愿献出一切 |
[23:24] | Honestly, I know you don’t like me, | 老实说 我知道你不喜欢我 |
[23:26] | but what kind of a man do you think I am? | 但是你以为我是哪种人? |
[23:31] | – Oh, good morning, Colonel. – At ease, men. | -噢 早上好 上校 -稍息 |
[23:33] | I’ve been waiting foryour report, Lieutenant. | 我一直在等你的报告 |
[23:35] | Well, I think we found out a thing or two. | 好的 我们有所发现 |
[23:37] | – Everything go well? – No, sir. Private Lejeune was killed. | -一切顺利吗? -不 长官 二等兵勒琼牺牲了 |
[23:41] | – How’d it happen? – It’s all right here in the report, sir. | -怎么牺牲的? -都写在这份报告里了 长官 |
[23:43] | – Well, let’s have it. – Oh, it isn’t quite finished yet, sir. | -好的 给我吧 -还没有写完 长官 |
[23:46] | That’s all, Corporal. You did a good night’s work. | 就这样吧 下士 你干的不错 |
[23:48] | Should feel very proud of yourself. Go get some sleep. | 你应该感到自豪 去睡会儿吧 |
[23:52] | Yes, sir. | 遵命 长官 |
[23:58] | – How’d you lose Lejeune? – Machine gun fire, sir. | -怎么折了勒琼的? -机枪打死的 长官 |
[24:01] | He coughed. Almost got us all killed. | 他咳嗽了 差点把我们也害死 |
[24:05] | Finish that report and get it to my dugout immediately. | 写完报告立刻交给我 |
[24:07] | Yes, sir. | 遵命 长官 |
[24:14] | The artillery starts at 0515. | 炮击从5:15开始 |
[24:18] | First Battalion will move out at 0530. | 一营5:30出发 |
[24:22] | When the leading elements have cleared the German wires… | 当先头部队清除德军的铁丝网后… |
[24:24] | the second wave, consisting of the Second and Third Battalions … | 二营和三营组成的第二梯队 |
[24:27] | minus two companies in reserve … will move out… | 除去留下2个连作后备 全都出发 |
[24:30] | in no case later than 0540. | 不能迟于5:40 |
[24:34] | Well, that’s it, gentlemen. Are there any questions? | 就这样 先生们 有什么问题吗? |
[24:37] | Sir, is 15 minutes of artillery preparation all that we can expect? | 长官 15分钟炮击是我们仅有的支援吗? |
[24:42] | The feeling is that any more than | 感觉他们要组织更多炮击 |
[24:44] | that will give them too much time to get organized. | 需要花太多时间 |
[24:46] | What’s weather supposed to be like tomorrow, sir? | 明天天气如何 长官? |
[24:50] | Too good. | 非常好 |
[24:52] | No chance of rain or fog? | 没有雨或者雾吗? |
[24:55] | The forecast is for sun all day. | 预报说整天都是晴天 |
[24:57] | lf, uh … Perhaps I should say when we take the Anthill… | “如果” 或者我该说”当”我们拿下蚁丘 |
[25:02] | how long do we have to hold it before we can expect any support? | 我们要坚守多久才能得到增援? |
[25:06] | Well, General Mireau, who, by the way, | 对了 顺便说一句 梅瑞恩将军 |
[25:07] | will be personally observing the attack… | 将亲自监督这次进攻 |
[25:09] | has promised us support from the 72nd by sundown tomorrow… | 他承诺72团将在明天日落时增援 |
[25:12] | which means, of course, that we’ll have to hold all day. | 意思是 当然 我们要坚守一整天 |
[25:17] | Are there any more questions? | 还有什么问题吗? |
[25:23] | Well, gentlemen, good luck, | 好吧 先生们 祝你们好运 |
[25:24] | and I’m sure you’ll come through as you always do. | 我肯定你们会像往常一样胜利的 |
[25:27] | Let’s get some sleep. | 去睡会吧 |
[25:31] | I’m not afraid of dying tomorrow, only of getting killed. | 我并不害怕死在明天 我只是害怕被杀 |
[25:34] | – That’s as clear as mud. – Which would you rather be done in by, | -听不懂你的话 -你更能接受那种死法? |
[25:37] | – a bayonet or a machine gun? – Oh, a machine gun, naturally. | -刺刀还是机枪? -当然是机枪 |
[25:40] | Naturally. That’s just my point. | 当然了 这就是我想说的 |
[25:41] | They’re both pieces of steel ripping into your guts. | 它们都是用钢铁扎破你的肚子 |
[25:43] | Only the machine gun is quicker, | 只不过机枪更快 |
[25:45] | cleaner and less painful, isn’t it? | 更干净 痛苦更少 不是吗? |
[25:46] | – What does that prove? – That proves that most of us | -这又说明什么? -这说明我们大多数人 |
[25:48] | are more afraid of getting hurt than of getting killed. | 怕受伤更甚过于怕死亡 |
[25:51] | Look at Bernard. He panics when it comes to gas, | 看看伯纳德 他最怕毒气 |
[25:54] | but gas doesn’t bother me a bit. | 而我一点也不怕 |
[25:56] | He’s seen photos of gas cases. Doesn’t mean anything to me. | 他看到过被毒死的照片 而我没有见过 |
[26:00] | But I’ll tell you something though … | 但是我告诉你 |
[26:01] | I’d hate like the devil to be without my tin hat. | 我最怕头上没有钢盔 怕得要死 |
[26:03] | But on the other hand, | 但另一方面 |
[26:04] | I don’t mind not having a tin hat for my tail. | 我屁股上有没有钢盔我无所谓 |
[26:06] | – Why’s that? – You ought to. That’s where your brains are. | -为什么? -你应该这样 头部是大脑所在 |
[26:08] | Because I know a wound to the head will hurt much more than one in the tail. | 因为我知道头上的伤势会比屁股上的严重得多 |
[26:11] | The tail is just meat, but the head … ah, the head is all bone. | 屁股上就是肉 可头上…头上可全都是骨头 |
[26:14] | – Ah, speak for yourself. – Tell me this. | -随你怎么说 -告诉我 |
[26:16] | Aside from the bayonet, what are you most afraid of? | 除了刺刀 你最害怕什么? |
[26:19] | – High explosives. – Exactly! And it’s the same with me. | -烈性炸药 -没错 和我一样 |
[26:21] | Because … Because I know | 因为…因为我知道 |
[26:22] | that it can chew you up worse than anything else. | 那会把你炸成碎片 |
[26:24] | Look, it’s just like I’m trying to tell you. | 你看 就像我告诉你的 |
[26:25] | If you’re really afraid of dying, | 如果你真的害怕死亡 |
[26:27] | you’d be living in a funk all the rest of your life… | 你下半辈子将一直活在恐惧中 |
[26:29] | because you know you’ve got to go someday, any day. | 因为你知道你迟早有一天会死 任何一天都可能 |
[26:31] | And besides, | 此外 |
[26:32] | if it’s death that you’re really afraid of… | 如果死亡是你真正的害怕的东西 |
[26:34] | why should you care about what it is that kills you? | 那为什么在乎是什么杀了你? |
[26:37] | Ah, you’re too smart for me, Professor. | 啊 你太聪明了 教授 |
[26:37] | All I know is nobody wants to die. | 我只知道没有人想死 |
[26:49] | Through to Division, sir. Through to Polygon. | 师部通讯畅通 长官 直通波利冈 |
[26:52] | Everything quiet. All units report themselves ready. | 一切平静 各单位都报告准备好了 |
[26:56] | Zero-minus two. | 倒计时2分钟 |
[26:59] | May I offer you gentlemen some cognac? | 先生们 来点科尼亚克白兰地? |
[27:01] | – Thank you, General. – Thank you, sir. | -谢谢 将军 -谢谢 长官 |
[27:06] | Afteryou, sir. | 你先 长官 |
[27:10] | To France. | 为法国干杯 |
[28:53] | Minus 15, 14… 13, 12… | 倒计时15 14 13 12 |
[28:58] | 10 9 8 7 ten… nine, eight, seven… | |
[29:02] | 6 5 4 six, five, four… | |
[29:06] | 3 2 1 0 three, two, one… zero! | |
[32:08] | Sergeant, where’s “B” Company? | 中士 B连在哪? |
[32:09] | I don’t know, sir. | 我不知道 长官 |
[32:16] | – Where in heaven’s name are they? – On the left, sir. | -看在上帝的份上 他们在哪? -在左翼 长官 |
[32:18] | Where are the rest? Zero-plus one, | 其余的在哪? 已经1分钟了 |
[32:20] | and they’re still in the trenches. They’re not advancing. | 而他们还在战壕里 他们没有前进 |
[32:22] | Miserable cowards. They’re not advancing! | 可怜的胆小鬼! 他们没有前进! |
[32:25] | The barrage is getting away from them! | 炮击点已经离他们很远了! |
[32:27] | They’re still in the trenches! | 可他们还在战壕里! |
[32:28] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[32:32] | Captain Nichols. | 尼克尔斯上尉 |
[32:33] | Yes, sir? | 是的 长官? |
[32:35] | Order the 75s to commence firing on our own positions. | 命令75团准备炮击我们自己的阵地 |
[32:40] | Captain, do you fail to comprehend the meaning of my order? | 上尉 你听不懂我的命令吗? |
[32:44] | No, sir, but I respectfully ask to … | 不 长官 但是我请您… |
[32:47] | Captain, do you fail to comprehend the meaning of my order? | 上尉 你听不懂我的命令吗? |
[32:50] | No, sir. | 不 长官 |
[32:51] | – Then carry it out, Captain. – Yes, sir. | -那就发命令吧 上尉 -遵命 长官 |
[32:59] | Hello, Polygon. This is Division. | 你好 波利冈 这里是师部 |
[33:04] | Batteries 1 and 2 commence firing… | 炮兵1营和2营准备攻击 |
[33:07] | on coordinates 32-58-78. | 坐标 32-58-78 |
[33:12] | Batteries 1 and 2 to commence firing… | 炮兵1营和2营准备攻击 |
[33:15] | on coordinates 32-58-78. Over. | 坐标 32-58-78 完毕 |
[33:28] | General, the battery commander reports | 将军 炮兵指挥官报告说 |
[33:30] | those are our own positions. | 那是自己的阵地 |
[33:31] | He says it must be a mistake. | 他说一定是搞错了 |
[33:33] | – Confirm the order, Captain. – Yes, sir. | -确认命令 上尉 -遵命 长官 |
[33:35] | There is no mistake. The order is confirmed. | 没有错误 确认命令 |
[33:38] | Battery commander respectfully reports | 炮兵指挥官报告说 |
[33:40] | he cannot execute such an order… | 他不能执行这样的命令 |
[33:42] | unless it is in writing and signed by the general. Over. | 除非是手写的并且有将军的签名 完毕 |
[33:46] | General, battery commander respectfully reports | 炮兵指挥官报告说 |
[33:49] | he cannot execute such an order… | 他不能执行这样的命令 |
[33:50] | unless it is in writing and signed by the general. | 除非是手写的并且有将军的签名 |
[33:53] | – Give me that phone! – Yes, sir. | -把电话给我 -遵命 长官 |
[33:59] | General Mireau speaking! | 我是梅瑞恩将军 |
[34:01] | Battery commander speaking, sir. | 我是炮兵指挥官 长官 |
[34:02] | The troops are mutinying, refusing to advance. | 该部队反叛 拒绝前进 |
[34:05] | Fire as ordered until further notice! | 向他们开炮 直到有新的指示! |
[34:07] | With all respect, sir, you have no right | 尊敬的长官 你没有权利 |
[34:09] | to order me to shoot down my own men… | 命令我向自己人开炮 |
[34:11] | unless you are willing to | 除非你愿意 |
[34:12] | take full and undivided responsibility for it. | 独自承担一切责任 |
[34:15] | Captain Rousseau, are you going to obey my order? | 卢梭上尉 你执行命令吗? |
[34:17] | I must have a written order | 我必须接到 |
[34:18] | before I can execute such a command, sir. | 手写的命令 长官 |
[34:21] | Supposing you’re killed. Then where will I be? | 假如你牺牲了呢? 那我会怎么样? |
[34:23] | You’ll be in front of a firing squad tomorrow morning! That’s where you’ll be! | 你会在明天早上被枪毙! |
[34:27] | Hand over your command and | 交出你的指挥权 |
[34:28] | report yourself under arrest to my headquarters! | 向我的总部报告 你已经被逮捕了 |
[34:42] | Roget! | 罗杰! |
[34:45] | Lieutenant Roget! Why are your men still in here? | 罗杰中尉 为什么你的人还在这里? |
[34:47] | It was impossible, sir. Major Vignon is dead. | 不可能了 长官 维尼翁少校死了 |
[34:50] | Get these men out ofthe trenches! Come on! | 让这些人冲出战壕! 来吧! |
[34:53] | Let’s get ready for another try! Get these men out of here! | 让我们再试一次! 让这些人冲出去! |
[34:57] | I’ve tried three times. Look at all the casualties. | 我试了三次了! 伤亡严重啊 |
[34:59] | All right! Let’s give it another try! | 好吧 让我们再试一次! |
[35:01] | Come on! Let’s give it another try! | 来吧! 再来一次 |
[35:15] | It’s impossible, sir. All the men are falling back. | 不可能的 长官 所有的人都在撤退了 |
[35:20] | Sir, I respectfully submit to the colonel … | 长官 我服从上校的命令 |
[35:24] | Pardon, your remarks to me were very unfair, sir. | 但请原谅 你的命令对我很不公平 长官 |
[35:29] | It’s just impossible! It’s just impossible. | 就是不可能办到嘛 就是不可能 |
[35:33] | General, according to first reports, | 将军 根据第一批报告 |
[35:34] | the attack has failed all along the line. | 进攻已经全线失败 |
[35:36] | The men are falling back to our own trenches. | 士兵们都在撤回战壕 |
[35:39] | Major Saint-Auban, | 圣奥班少校 |
[35:41] | arrange for the immediate relief of the 701 st Regiment. | 安排701团立即换防 |
[35:44] | Have them sent to the Chateau d’Aigle. | 送他们到艾格勒城堡 |
[35:45] | Have Colonel Dax report to my headquarters. | 让达克斯上校到我的总部报道 |
[35:48] | – Yes, sir. – Major Couderc, assemble a general court-martial. | -遵命 长官 -库德克少校 召集一个军事法庭 |
[35:51] | Have it ready to meet at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon. | 明天下午3:00准备好 |
[35:54] | If those little sweethearts won’t face German bullets, | 这些娘们儿不愿意吃德国的子弹 |
[35:56] | they’ll face French ones! | 就让他们尝尝法国的吧! |
[36:08] | I ordered an attack. Your troops refused to attack. | 我下令进攻 而你的部队拒绝进攻 |
[36:12] | Our troops did attack, sir, but they could make no headway. | 我的部队的确进攻了 长官 但是他们攻不上去 |
[36:15] | Because they didn’t try, Colonel. I saw it myself. | 那是因为他们没有努力 上校 我亲眼见到的 |
[36:18] | Half of your men never left the trenches. | 半数人根本就没离开战壕 |
[36:20] | A third of my men were pinned down | 三分之一的人 |
[36:21] | because the fire was so intense. | 都被强火力压制住了 |
[36:23] | Don’t quibble over fractions, Colonel. | 不要争论细节了 上校 |
[36:25] | The fact remains that a good part of your men | 事实是 你的人有相当一部分 |
[36:26] | never left their own trenches. | 根本没有离开自己的战壕 |
[36:29] | Colonel Dax, | 达克斯上校 |
[36:31] | I’m going to have 10 men from each company in your regiment… | 我要你们团每个连出10个人 |
[36:33] | tried under penalty of death for cowardice. | 尝尝因为怯懦而判死刑的滋味 |
[36:36] | – Penalty of death? – For cowardice! | -死刑? -因为怯懦! |
[36:38] | They have skimmed milk in their veins instead of blood. | 他们血管中流淌的不是血液 而是脱脂牛奶 |
[36:41] | Then it’s the reddest milk I’ve ever seen. | 这恐怕是我见过最红的牛奶了! |
[36:42] | My trenches are soaked with that red skimmed milk. | 我的战壕被红色脱脂牛奶浸透了! |
[36:44] | That’s just about enough out of you, Colonel! | 够了! 上校 |
[36:45] | I’m not gonna mince words and stand on protocol … | 我要直言不讳的说… |
[36:46] | Colonel Dax, if you continue in this manner, | 达克斯上校 如果你的态度一直如此 |
[36:48] | I shall have to place you under arrest. | 我将被迫把你逮捕 |
[36:50] | I believe the colonel has a point, | 我认为 上校有他的道理 |
[36:51] | even though he makes it rather bluntly. | 尽管他过于直率了 |
[36:53] | This is not a trial, but it does bear certain aspects of one. | 这不是审判 但从某些方面来看是的 |
[36:56] | And Colonel Dax, technically, is cast in the role of the defense. | 达克斯上校是在做辩护 |
[37:00] | In view of the gravity of the charges | 从指控的严肃性这一角度来看 |
[37:01] | a court of law would grant him all possible | 法庭将会 |
[37:03] | latitude in presenting his case. | 给予最大的宽容 |
[37:04] | Latitude is one thing. Insubordination another. | 宽容是一回事 不服从命令是另一回事 |
[37:08] | I am merely offering an opinion, General. | 我只是提供一个建议 将军 |
[37:10] | Please do not feel constrained to accept it. | 请不要勉强接受 |
[37:12] | I am perfectly willing to accept it, General Broulard. | 我非常乐意接受 布罗拉得将军 |
[37:16] | I’m sorry, sir. I certainly didn’t intend to be insubordinate. | 对不起 长官 我绝对没有不服从命令的意思 |
[37:20] | My only aim is to remind you | 我唯一的目的是想提醒你 |
[37:21] | of the heroism these men have shown… | 在过去的每一次战斗中 |
[37:23] | on every occasion in the past. | 这些士兵所展现出来的英雄气概 |
[37:25] | We’re not talking about the past. | 我们不是在谈论过去 |
[37:27] | We’re talking about the present. | 我们是在谈论现在 |
[37:28] | But don’t you see, sir? They’re not cowards. | 但是你没看见吗 长官? 他们不是胆小鬼 |
[37:30] | So if some of them didn’t leave the trenches, | 如果一些士兵没有离开战壕 |
[37:32] | it must have been because it was impossible. | 这命令一定是不可行的 |
[37:34] | They were ordered to attack. | 他们接到命令去进攻 |
[37:35] | It was their duty to obey that order. | 服从命令是他们的天职 |
[37:38] | We can’t leave it up to the men to decide | 还轮不到这些士兵来判断 |
[37:40] | when an order is possible or not. | 命令是否可行 |
[37:42] | If it was impossible, the only proof of that… | 如果命令是不可行的 那唯一的证明就是 |
[37:44] | would be their dead bodies lying at the bottom ofthe trenches. | 他们躺在战壕内的尸体 |
[37:48] | They’re scum, Colonel. | 他们是败类 上校 |
[37:50] | The whole rotten regiment … A pack of sneaking, | 整个烂团就是一群 偷偷摸摸的 |
[37:53] | whining, tail-dragging curs. | 哀怨的 拖着尾巴的杂种狗 |
[37:55] | Do you really believe that, sir? | 你真的相信是这样吗 长官? |
[37:56] | Yes, I do. That’s exactly what I believe. | 是的 这正是我相信的 |
[37:59] | And what’s more, it’s an incontestable fact. | 更糟的是 这是一个不争的事实 |
[38:03] | Then why not shoot the entire regiment? I’m perfectly serious. | 那为什么不把全团都毙了 我是认真的 |
[38:06] | Now, Colonel, you’re missing the point entirely. | 你完全搞错了 |
[38:08] | We don’t want to slaughter the French army. | 我们并不想屠杀整个法军 |
[38:11] | All we want to do is to set an example. | 我们要的是杀鸡儆猴 |
[38:12] | Oh, well, if it’s an example you want, then take me. | 噢 如果这是你想要的 那就杀我吧 |
[38:15] | – Take you? – Yes, sir, if it’s an example you want… | -你? -是的 长官 如果你想要杀鸡儆猴 |
[38:17] | one man will do as well as a hundred. | 1个人和100个人是一样的 |
[38:19] | The logical choice is | 从逻辑上说 |
[38:21] | the officer most responsible for the attack. | 军官应该为这次进攻负最大的责任 |
[38:25] | Come now, Colonel. I thinkyou’re overwrought. | 行了 上校 我看你是过度紧张了 |
[38:27] | This is not a question of officers. | 这不是军官的问题 |
[38:29] | Paul, we don’t want to overdo this thing. | 保罗 我们不想做得太过分 |
[38:33] | Suppose we just make it a dozen. | 只拿12个人如何 |
[38:35] | I was talking of a hundred men, and now we’re down to 12. | 我刚才说100个人 你现在一下减到了12个 |
[38:38] | Paul, let’s not haggle over this thing anymore! | 保罗 我们不要再争这个了 |
[38:41] | Let’s get it settled once and for all | 让我们一劳永逸地把这事定下来吧 |
[38:43] | so that we can all live with it. | 这样我们都能在这个阴影中继续生活 |
[38:46] | Well, perhaps I was a bit too anxious | 好吧 也许我太急于 |
[38:49] | to see proper justice meted out. | 见到罪有应得了 |
[38:51] | I’ve spent my entire life in the army. | 我一生都贡献给了军队 |
[38:53] | I’ve always tried to be true to my principles. | 我一直试图忠于自己的原则 |
[38:56] | That’s the only mistake I can ever be accused of. | 这是我唯一可以被指责的错误 |
[39:00] | I’ll settle for this … | 这样定吧 |
[39:02] | have the company commanders | 先从一营每个连中 |
[39:03] | select one man from each company in the first wave… | 由连长选出一个人来 |
[39:07] | – three in all. – Well, that’s very reasonable of you, Paul. | -共3个 -好 非常合理 保罗 |
[39:10] | The court-martial will meet at the chateau at 3:00 this afternoon. | 军事法庭将于下午3:00在城堡开庭 |
[39:14] | Will that be convenient for you, General? | 这个时间你方便吗? |
[39:15] | I won’t be there, Paul. | 我不会去的 保罗 |
[39:16] | You won’t be there? | 你不会去? |
[39:18] | No, I think it best that you handle this matter on your own. | 是的 我想最好是你自己来处理这个事情 |
[39:20] | Probably so. | 也许是吧 |
[39:22] | General Mireau. | 梅瑞恩将军 |
[39:24] | If it’s at all possible, | 如果可能的话 |
[39:26] | I’d like to be appointed counsel for the accused. | 我愿意做被告的辩护律师 |
[39:28] | I’ll take the matter into consideration. | 我会考虑的 |
[39:30] | I think we can permit that, can’t we, Paul? Of course we can. | 我想我们可以允许 不是吗 保罗? 我们当然可以 |
[39:33] | – Consider it settled, Colonel. – Thank you, sir. | -就这么定了 上校 -谢谢你 长官 |
[39:34] | Well, noon straight up, Paul. | 中午了 保罗 |
[39:38] | I hope that you can stay for lunch, Colonel. | 我希望你能留下吃午饭 上校 |
[39:40] | George, I’m afraid the colonel won’t have time. | 乔治 恐怕上校没有空 |
[39:43] | Don’t deny it, Paul. | 不要否认 保罗 |
[39:44] | You’ve been hiding this man, keeping him for your own. | 你一直藏着这个人 总是为你所用 |
[39:47] | I think that was very selfish of you. | 太自私啦 |
[39:48] | Thank you for your courtesy, General, | 谢谢你 将军 |
[39:50] | but I’m afraid there isn’t much time between now and 3:00. | 但是恐怕很快就要3:00了 |
[39:53] | Of course, Colonel. | 好吧 上校 |
[39:54] | I shall ook forward to the pleasure of seeing you again. | 我会期待下次再见到你 |
[40:17] | Yes, Captain? What is it? | 上尉 什么事? |
[40:18] | You ordered me to report to you here, sir. | 你叫我来这儿向你报告 长官 |
[40:19] | Captain Rousseau, battery commander, sir. | 卢梭上尉 炮兵指挥官 |
[40:21] | Yes, yes, of course. | 是的 是的 当然 |
[40:23] | I wanted to speak to you about some of your shells falling short. | 我想和你谈谈 关于一些炮弹落点很近的事 |
[40:26] | I haven’t time to go into it now. | 我现在没有时间 |
[40:29] | Report back to your command until further orders. | 回去向你的上级报告 等待进一步的命令 |
[40:31] | Yes, sir. | 遵命 长官 |
[40:34] | Bad stuff. Demoralizes the men. | 差劲的部下 使得士气都低落了 |
[40:36] | I quite agree with you. | 非常同意你的看法 |
[40:38] | And the best solution is to shelve him to another outfit. | 最好的解决办法是搁置不用 把他调离 |
[40:41] | A court of inquiry ought to roast him a bit first. | 军事调查委员会应该先严厉批评他一下 |
[40:43] | Well, in cases like this … shells falling short … | 嗯 像炮弹落点很近这种事 |
[40:45] | I … I always try to avoid an inquiry. | 我…我总是避免展开调查 |
[40:47] | It gets around among the men and makes a bad impression. | 那会给士兵们留下一个坏印象 |
[40:51] | No, shelving will be the best discipline for him, in my opinion. | 我看 搁置将会是对他最合适的惩罚 |
[40:53] | Well, perhaps you’re right. | 好吧 也许你说得对 |
[40:55] | Oh, uh, would you excuse me for a moment? | 哦 失陪一会可以吗? |
[40:56] | A regimental matter I want to mention to the colonel. | 团里有件事情我想跟上校谈谈 |
[40:58] | – I’ll join you in the dining room. – Splendid. In a moment. | -那就餐厅见 -好的 马上就来 |
[41:02] | That will be Captain Sancy, | 桑希上尉 |
[41:04] | Captain Renouart and Lieutenant Roget. | 诺朗上尉和罗杰中尉 |
[41:05] | Yes, sir. | 遵命 长官 |
[41:06] | Have them meet me at regimental headquarters in half an hour. | 让他们一个半小时之内到团部来见我 |
[41:08] | – Yes, sir. – Colonel Dax. | -遵命 长官 -达克斯上校 |
[41:11] | – Yes, sir. – I’d like a word with you. | -是的 长官 -我想跟你谈谈 |
[41:14] | Certainly, sir. | 当然 长官 |
[41:17] | – Let’s be sensible about this. – Sensible, sir? | -我们都明智一点吧 -明智 长官? |
[41:21] | Listen to me, Dax. | 听我说 达克斯 |
[41:23] | Drop this fancy talk with me, understand? | 别跟我油腔滑调 明白吗? |
[41:26] | General Broulard seems to think you’re funny. I don’t. | 布罗拉得将军似乎觉得你很风趣 我不觉得 |
[41:30] | Now, I want you to drop this affair. | 我要你别再理会这件事 |
[41:32] | I beg your pardon, sir. Is that an order? | 你说什么 长官 这是个命令吗? |
[41:34] | Colonel Dax, when this mess is cleaned up, I’ll break you. | 达克斯上校 这件麻烦事结束之后 我会修理你的 |
[41:38] | I’ll find an excuse and I’ll break you to the ranks. | 我会找个借口降你的职 |
[41:40] | I’ll ruin you. | 我会毁了你 |
[41:41] | And it’ll be just what you deserve… | 你对你的指挥官不忠心 |
[41:43] | showing such little loyalty to your commanding officer. | 这是你应得的 |
[41:47] | That’s all, Colonel. | 就这些 上校 |
[42:10] | Detail, halt! | 立定! |
[42:12] | General Mireau feels that | 梅瑞恩将军认为 |
[42:13] | the attack on the Anthill yesterday morning failed… | 昨天早晨对蚁丘的进攻 |
[42:15] | because of an inadequate effort on the part of the First Battalion. | 由于一营的部分士兵不够努力而失败了 |
[42:19] | Each of you is to select one man from your company… | 你们每个人从你们连选出一个人来 |
[42:21] | place him under arrest and | 逮捕他们 |
[42:23] | have him ready to appear before a general court-martial… | 并且带他们到军事法庭 |
[42:25] | no later than 1500 hours this afternoon. | 不得迟于今天下午15:00 |
[42:28] | The charge is cowardice in the face of the enemy. | 指控罪名是 面对敌人时怯懦 |
[42:30] | You have your orders, gentlemen. Let’s carry them out. | 这是给你们的命令 先生们 去执行吧 |
[42:53] | But Lieutenant Roget killed Lejeune on that patrol… | 但是罗杰中尉侦察时杀了勒琼 |
[42:56] | and then blackmailed me into keeping quiet about the whole thing! | 还威胁我对整件事情保密! |
[42:58] | That’s why he picked me. | 所以他才会选我! |
[42:59] | Corporal, I understand your feelings. | 下士 我理解你的感受 |
[43:01] | But that story has nothing to do | 但这件事 |
[43:02] | with the charges you’re being tried for. | 与你将面临的指控没有关系 |
[43:03] | – Don’t you believe me, sir? – Yes, I do, | -你不相信我吗 长官? -我相信 |
[43:06] | but who else will? You’ve got no witnesses. | 但是别人会信吗? 你又没有证人 |
[43:10] | Besides, such charges against an officer | 况且 这种对军官的指控 |
[43:12] | would only antagonize the court. | 只会惹怒法庭 |
[43:14] | When we get clear of this, | 这件事完了之后 |
[43:15] | I’m going into the story of that patrol again. | 我会再来调查那次侦察的 |
[43:18] | Sir, in my case, Captain Renouart had the sergeant draw lots. | 长官 在我们连 诺朗上尉用抽签的方法来选 |
[43:22] | I was picked purely by chance. | 我被选中纯属偶然 |
[43:24] | You’re lucky. Look at me. | 你是幸运的 看着我 |
[43:26] | I was just picked because | 我被选中是因为 |
[43:28] | Captain Sancy said I was a social undesirable. | 桑希上尉说我不受欢迎 |
[43:31] | Me, a social undesirable, Colonel. | 我 一个不受欢迎的人 上校 |
[43:33] | I didn’t act like a coward. Picking by lots … | 我表现得一点也不怯懦 被抽签选中! |
[43:35] | Is that fair? | 这公平吗? |
[43:36] | Gentlemen! | 先生们! |
[43:37] | You’ve all got to understand | 你们得明白 |
[43:38] | that the reason you were picked is immaterial. | 你们被选中的原因不重要 |
[43:40] | Whatever the reason, you’re on trial for your lives. | 无论什么原因 你们将接受生死攸关的审判 |
[43:48] | Stick to the stories you’ve told me… | 坚持你们刚才的说法 |
[43:50] | and don’t let the prosecutor shake you out of them. | 不要被检察官所动摇 |
[43:53] | Now remember, | 记住 |
[43:54] | you’ll be soldiers in the presence of superior officers. | 你们是士兵 在场的都是上级军官 |
[43:56] | So act like what you are … | 你们的表现要与你们的身份相符 |
[43:58] | soldiers. | 士兵 |
[44:00] | And brave ones at that. | 勇敢的士兵 |
[44:03] | Now, I’ve been in the room you’ll be sitting in. | 我去过那审判厅 |
[44:05] | The afternoon sun will be in your faces… | 午后的阳光会照在你们脸上 |
[44:06] | so don’t let it seem as if | 所以别一副 |
[44:08] | you’re dropping your eyes in a hangdog manner. | 垂头丧气的样子 |
[44:12] | When you answer questions, look the judges in the eye. | 回答问题的时候 直视法官的眼睛 |
[44:14] | Don’t whine, plead or make speeches. That’s my job. | 不要抱怨 申辩或滔滔不绝 那是我的任务 |
[44:17] | Simple statements … short… | 简单的陈述 简短 |
[44:19] | but make them so they can be heard all over the room. | 但是要让审判厅里的每个人都听到 |
[44:21] | And try not to repeat yourselves. | 尽量不要重复说过的话 |
[44:23] | I’ll do that for you when I sum up. | 我会为你们总结的 |
[44:25] | Now, we haven’t much time. | 时间不多了 |
[44:26] | The court-martial begins in about an hour, | 大约还有1小时就开庭了 |
[44:28] | and I’ve got notes to look at. | 我还要看看笔记 |
[44:32] | Good luck. | 祝你们好运 |
[44:34] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 上校 |
[44:44] | On the left, ho! | 向左 转! |
[44:50] | Detail, halt! | 立定! |
[44:56] | On the left, ho! | 向左 转! |
[45:04] | On the left, ho! | 向左 转! |
[45:10] | Left face! | 左转! |
[45:17] | The court-martial is open. The prisoners may be seated. | 本军事法庭开庭 被告入座 |
[45:25] | This is a general court-martial. | 这是一个普通军事法庭 |
[45:28] | We shall therefore dispense with unnecessary formalities. | 所以我们应该免除不必要的环节 |
[45:32] | These men are charged with cowardice in the face of the enemy… | 这些人被控在敌人面前表现怯懦 |
[45:36] | and will be tried for that offense. | 将因此而接受审判 |
[45:38] | Mr. Prosecutor. | 检察官先生 |
[45:40] | Call the accused … Private Ferol. | 传被告 二等兵弗罗 |
[45:43] | Mr. President. | 主席先生 |
[45:45] | Will the prosecutor question the witnesses | 检察官询问当事人时 |
[45:47] | without even reading the indictment? | 连起诉书都不读吗? |
[45:49] | Please don’t take up the court’s time with technicalities. | 请不要纠缠这些技术细节 浪费庭审时间 |
[45:53] | The indictment is lengthy, and there’s no point in reading it. | 起诉书那么长 看它有何用 |
[45:56] | The defense has a right to know the exact accusations … | 辩护方有权知道确切的被控罪名… |
[45:58] | The indictment is that the | 起诉书说的是 |
[46:00] | accused showed cowardice in the face of the enemy… | 在进攻蚁丘的过程中 |
[46:02] | during the attack on the Anthill. | 被告在敌人面前表现怯懦 |
[46:04] | Proceed, Mr. Prosecutor. | 继续 检察官先生 |
[46:07] | Call the accused … Private Ferol. | 传被告 二等兵弗罗 |
[46:20] | – Private Ferol. – Yes, sir? | -二等兵弗罗 -是的 长官? |
[46:23] | Were you in the first wave during the attack on the Anthill? | 当时你在攻击蚁丘的第一梯队? |
[46:26] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[46:27] | – Did you refuse to advance? – No, sir. | -你拒绝前进? -没有 长官 |
[46:31] | – Did you advance? – Yes, sir. | -那你前进了? -是的 长官 |
[46:34] | How far did you advance? | 你前进了多远? |
[46:36] | To about the middle of no-man’s-land, sir. | 大概到无人地带中部 |
[46:40] | Then what did you do? | 然后你做了什么? |
[46:41] | There were machine-gun bullets landing all around. | 到处都是机枪射出的子弹 |
[46:44] | Answer the question. What did you do? | 回答问题 你做了什么? |
[46:46] | Well, I saw that me and Meyer, sir … | 好吧 我看到了迈雅… |
[46:51] | I didn’t ask you what you saw. | 我没问你看到什么 |
[46:53] | The court has no concern with your… visual experiences. | 法庭不关心你的…”视觉经历” |
[46:57] | – My what, sir? – Prisoner will reply to the question. | -我的什么 长官? -回答问题 |
[47:01] | Yes, sir. What question was it? | 遵命 长官 问题是什么? |
[47:02] | You advanced to the middle of no-man’s-land. | 你前进到了无人地带中部 |
[47:04] | What did you do then? | 然后你做了什么? |
[47:06] | – Then, sir? – Did you go back or forward? | -然后 长官? -你后退了还是前进了? |
[47:09] | I went back, sir. | 后退 长官 |
[47:11] | In other words, Private Ferol, you retreated. | 换句话说 二等兵弗罗 你撤退了 |
[47:17] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[47:18] | That’s all. The accused may return to his seat. | 我问完了 被告可以回到座位上了 |
[47:22] | Just a minute. | 等一等 |
[47:25] | Mr. President, I’d like to question the witness if I may. | 主席先生 如果可以 我想问当事人几个问题 |
[47:28] | – Proceed, Colonel. – Thank you. | -问吧 上校 -谢谢 |
[47:32] | Now, Private Ferol, | 二等兵弗罗 |
[47:33] | when you reached the middle of no-man’s-land… | 当你达到无人地带中部 |
[47:35] | were you alone with Private Meyer? | 就只有你和二等兵迈雅吗? |
[47:37] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[47:38] | Well, what happened to the rest of your company? | 那么 你们连其他人上哪去了? |
[47:40] | Well, I don’t know, sir. | 我不知道 长官 |
[47:43] | I guess the rest of them had been killed or wounded. | 我想也许其他人都阵亡了或受伤了 |
[47:45] | And you found yourself in themiddle of no-man’s-land | 你发现你和二等兵迈雅两人 在无人地带中间 |
[47:48] | alone with Private Meyer. | 处于孤立无援的状态? |
[47:49] | – Yes, sir. – Why didn’t you attack the Anthill single-handed? | -是的 长官 -你们为什么不独自进攻? |
[47:56] | Why didn’t you storm the Anthill alone? | 为什么你们不独自强行进攻蚁丘? |
[47:59] | Just me and Meyer? You’re kidding, sir. | 就我和迈雅? 你开玩笑吧 长官 |
[48:03] | Yes, I’m kidding, Private Ferol. | 是的 我是在开玩笑 二等兵弗罗 |
[48:05] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢你 我问完了 |
[48:07] | I don’t see the point of this line of questioning. | 我不懂你的问题是何意 |
[48:10] | Well, I’m attempting to indicate, sir… | 我是想指出 |
[48:12] | the utter absurdity of the line of questioning used by the prosecutor. | 检察官的问题完全是荒谬的 |
[48:17] | Mr. Prosecutor. | 检察官先生 |
[48:18] | So you freely admit, Private Ferol, that you retreated. | 那么 二等兵弗罗 你坦率地承认 你撤退了? |
[48:23] | Yes, sir. Me and Meyer both. | 是的 长官 我和迈雅两个人 |
[48:26] | I knew we should’ve took Anthill, but we came on back. | 我知道我们应该拿下蚁丘 但是我们撤退了 |
[48:32] | That’s all. | 没有问题了 |
[48:34] | The accused may return to his seat. | 被告人可以回到座位上了 |
[48:48] | Private Arnaud, did you advance? | 二等兵阿尔诺 你前进了吗? |
[48:52] | Yes, sir, until I was ordered back to the trenches by Captain Renouart. | 是的 长官 直到诺朗上尉命令撤回战壕 |
[48:57] | How far did you advance? | 你前进了多远? |
[48:59] | Into the wire, sir. | 到铁丝网 长官 |
[49:01] | The, uh, enemy wire, I suppose. | 我想 是敌军的铁丝网 |
[49:05] | No, sir. It was our wire. | 不 长官 是我军的铁丝网 |
[49:08] | You mean to tell me that | 你的意思是 |
[49:10] | you didn’t advance any further than our wire? | 你连我军的铁丝网都没有过? |
[49:14] | No, sir, I didn’t. | 没有 长官 |
[49:16] | How far would you say that was? How many meters? | 你说那有多远? 有多少米? |
[49:20] | Well, I advanced as far as I could. | 这个 我已经尽力最远了 |
[49:23] | How many meters? | 多少米? |
[49:26] | Not many. | 没多少米 |
[49:30] | “Not many. “ | 没多少米? |
[49:34] | Now, Private Arnaud, | 好吧 二等兵阿尔诺 |
[49:36] | before you were ordered back… | 在你接到撤退命令之前 |
[49:40] | did you urge your fellow soldiers forward? | 你督促你的战友前进了吗? |
[49:44] | Most of them were dead or wounded | 大多数刚跨出战壕 |
[49:46] | before they got three steps beyond the trenches. | 就被打死或打伤了 |
[49:47] | Reply to the question. | 回答问题 |
[49:49] | I didn’t urge them on. No, sir. | 我没有督促他们 没有 长官 |
[49:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[50:02] | Private Arnaud … At ease, please. | 二等兵阿尔诺 请稍息 |
[50:09] | Aside from your sad failure to give throat to spirited battle cries | 你除了没能竭力激励战友外 |
[50:13] | was your behavior different in any respect from that | 你的行为 从任何方面来说 |
[50:15] | of the other men in your company? | 和连里的其他战友有区别吗? |
[50:17] | Objection. That’s a matter of conjecture. | 反对 这只是个猜测 |
[50:19] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[50:24] | Did any men in your company get beyond our wire? | 你们连有人超过我军的铁丝网吗? |
[50:27] | No, sir. | 没有 长官 |
[50:28] | Is it true that you’ve been designated a coward… | 我听说你被指定为懦夫 |
[50:31] | simply and purely because you drew a slip of paper marked “X”? | 仅仅是因为你抽出来一张标有”X”的纸片? |
[50:34] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[50:35] | I don’t see that that’s significant. | 我不觉得这有什么大不了 |
[50:37] | It’s accepted practice in the French army to pick examples by lot. | 在法军中这种抽签的方式是可以接受的 |
[50:41] | And since this entire company advanced only a few meters… | 既然整个连都只前进了几米 |
[50:43] | picking by lot was eminently fair in this case. | 抽签来选已是相当公平的了 |
[50:46] | Well, I’d like to point out that this soldier has distinguished himself… | 那么 我想要指出这名士兵 |
[50:49] | in some of the bloodiest battles of the war. | 已经在几场最惨烈的战斗中证明了自己的优秀 |
[50:53] | With the court’s permission… | 如果法庭允许 我读一下 |
[50:55] | I’ll read citations for bravery that he’s already earned on two occasions. | 他因作战英勇而两次获得的嘉奖令 |
[50:59] | First, citations in the Orders in the Army for bravery … | 第一次 作战英勇嘉奖令… |
[51:03] | That’s immaterial, Colonel. | 这无关紧要 |
[51:04] | The accused is not being tried for his former bravery… | 被告受审是因为他最近的怯懦 |
[51:07] | but for his recent cowardice. | 而不是以前的英勇 |
[51:09] | Medals are no defense. | 奖章不能用来辩护 |
[51:13] | May I call witnesses to his character? | 我可以传唤证明他品质的证人吗? |
[51:16] | You may not. | 不可以 |
[51:18] | But you may call witnesses | 但是你可以传唤 |
[51:19] | to the effect that he reached the German wire. | 证明他到达德军铁丝网的证人 |
[51:23] | Mr. President, no one in the entire regiment… | 主席先生 整个团没有一个人 |
[51:26] | got anywhere near the German wire, including myself. | 达到德军铁丝网附近 包括我自己 |
[51:30] | Call the next accused… | 如果你问完了 上校 |
[51:32] | if you’re through, Colonel. | 传下一被告吧 |
[51:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[51:37] | Prisoner may return to his seat. | 被告可以回到座位上了 |
[51:48] | So you never even left the trenches. | 你甚至从来没有离开战壕? |
[51:52] | – No, sir. – That’s all. | -是的 长官 -我问完了 |
[51:56] | Corporal Paris, why didn’t you leave the trenches? | 帕瑞斯下士 你为什么不离开战壕? |
[52:02] | Major Vignon was shot, | 维尼翁少校被击中了 |
[52:03] | and he fell back on top of me, sir, and knocked me cold. | 他倒下时砸在我的头上 长官 把我砸晕了 |
[52:06] | And were you lying unconscious in the trenches during the entire attack? | 你在整个进攻过程中一直是昏迷的? |
[52:10] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[52:11] | – That’s all. – Have you any witnesses to that? | -我问完了 -有证人吗? |
[52:17] | No, sir. I guess everybody was too busy to notice me. | 没有 所有人都忙成一团 没人注意到我 |
[52:20] | And there were so many others lying dead anyway. | 而且地上有很多尸体 |
[52:22] | – But you have no witnesses. – No, sir. | -但你没有证人? -没有 长官 |
[52:26] | I only have a rather large cut on my head, sir. | 我只有头上的一个大伤疤 长官 |
[52:29] | That could have been self-inflicted later. | 那可能是你后来自己弄的 |
[52:33] | Thank you. You may stand down. | 谢谢你 你可以回去了 |
[52:41] | Mr. Prosecutor, you can make your plea now. | 检察官先生 你可以陈词了 |
[52:49] | Gentlemen of the court… | 尊敬的各位法官 |
[52:52] | this case speaks for itself. | 这案子已无需多说 |
[52:55] | All of us witnessed the regrettable attack yesterday morning. | 所有人都目睹了昨天早晨那次不幸的进攻 |
[53:02] | And I submit that that attack… | 我认为这次进攻 |
[53:06] | was a stain on the flag of France… | 是法国国旗上的污点 |
[53:10] | a blot on the honor… | 是法国 |
[53:12] | of every man, woman and child in the French nation. | 每个男人 女人和孩子的荣耀上的污点 |
[53:18] | It is to us | 对我们而言 |
[53:20] | that the sad, | 这次任务是一次令人沮丧 |
[53:21] | distressing, repellant duty falls, gentlemen. | 痛心 厌恶的失败 法官们 |
[53:28] | I ask this court | 我请求法庭 |
[53:30] | to find the accused guilty… | 判被告有罪 |
[53:37] | and impose the penalties prescribed by the Code of Military Justice. | 并且根据军事法处以刑罚 |
[53:45] | Thank you, Mr. Prosecutor. | 谢谢 检察官 |
[53:48] | Colonel, would you like to make your plea? | 上校 你想陈词吗? |
[54:01] | Gentlemen of the court, there are times when I’m ashamed… | 尊敬的各位法官 我有时羞于 |
[54:03] | to be a member of the human race… | 作为人类的一员 |
[54:05] | and this is one such occasion. | 现在这种情形就是如此 |
[54:09] | It’s impossible for me to summarize the case for the defense… | 要我为辩护方做总结陈词是不可能的 |
[54:13] | since the court never allowed me | 因为 法庭根本没有给我 |
[54:14] | a reasonable opportunity to present my case. | 一个公平的机会来陈述 |
[54:17] | Are you protesting the authenticity of this court? | 你在抗议这次庭审的真实可靠性? |
[54:23] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[54:25] | I protest against being prevented from introducing evidence… | 我抗议 我被阻止出示 |
[54:28] | that I consider vital to the defense. | 我认为对辩方至关重要的证据 |
[54:31] | The prosecution presented no witnesses. | 控方没有任何证人 |
[54:34] | There has never been a written indictment of charges made against the defendants. | 根本就没有一个书面的起诉书 |
[54:38] | And lastly, I protest against the fact… | 最后 我要抗议 |
[54:42] | that no stenographic records of this trial have been kept. | 这次审判没有速记记录 |
[54:54] | The attack yesterday morning | 昨天早晨的攻击 |
[54:56] | was no stain on the honor of France… | 不是法国荣耀的污点 |
[55:00] | and certainly no disgrace to the fighting men of this nation. | 当然也不是法国军人的耻辱 |
[55:04] | But this court-martial is | 但是 这个军事法庭 |
[55:06] | such a stain and such a disgrace. | 才是国家荣耀的污点和法国军人的耻辱 |
[55:09] | The case made against these men | 对这些人的审判 |
[55:10] | is a mockery of all human justice. | 是对人类正义的嘲弄 |
[55:14] | Gentlemen of the court… | 各位法官 |
[55:16] | to find these men guilty… | 判决这些人有罪 |
[55:19] | would be a crime to haunt each of you… till the day you die. | 将会成为你们的罪行 困扰你们至死方休 |
[55:28] | I can’t believe that the noblest impulse of man … | 我不敢相信 人类最崇高的情感冲动 |
[55:33] | his compassion for another… can be completely dead here. | 即对他人的同情心 在这里竟然荡然无存 |
[55:39] | Therefore, I humbly beg you… | 因此 我谦逊地恳求你们 |
[55:43] | show mercy to these men. | 宽恕这些人吧 |
[55:52] | The accused will be escorted back to the guardroom. | 把被告押送回警卫室 |
[55:55] | The hearing is closed. The court will now retire to deliberate. | 听证会结束 法庭现在休庭审议 |
[55:59] | There will be a guard of six men under arms … | 卫兵将会是六个人一组 全副武装 |
[56:01] | rifles loaded, bayonets fixed … two men to each prisoner. | 步枪上膛 刺刀就位 两人带一个犯人 |
[56:05] | Any sign of trouble, the prisoners will be instantly covered. | 有任何风吹草动 立即把枪对准罪犯 |
[56:07] | And if the trouble doesn’t subside at once, | 如果混乱没有马上平息 |
[56:09] | the prisoner will be shot on the spot. | 就把犯人就地处死 |
[56:11] | Everything must go off without a hitch with the least possible delay… | 一切都要顺利且迅速 |
[56:15] | but it shouldn’t be hurried. There must be no fumbling around. | 但也不能操之过急 绝对不能四处乱走 |
[56:19] | I’ve been put in charge | 我是负责人 |
[56:20] | and made personally responsible for any lack of order or for any mistakes. | 我对任何混乱和差错负责 |
[56:25] | But you can take it from me that I shall pass on any blame and with interest… | 但是如果你们任何人失职的话 |
[56:30] | to any one of you who fails in his duties. | 他将替我承担责任 |
[56:34] | Execution will take place at 7:00 | 根据军事法庭的裁决 |
[56:37] | according to the verdict of the court-martial. | 死刑将会在7:00执行 |
[56:42] | Detail, attention! Dismissed! | 立正! 注意! 解散! |
[56:58] | This is compliments of General Mireau. – Duck. | -这是梅瑞恩将军所赐 -鸭子! |
[57:01] | – Well, tell him thanks. – Oh, don’t blame me, soldier. | -替我谢谢他 -噢 不要怪我 士兵 |
[57:06] | Hey, ugly, what are we supposed to eat this with … our fingers? | 嘿 丑人 我们用什么吃? 手吗? |
[57:08] | The guard says you can’t have any knives or forks. | 卫兵说不能让你们拿刀叉 |
[57:12] | Is this supposed to be our last meal or something? | 这可能是我们最后一餐了吗? |
[57:14] | It isn’t “Supposed to be” Our last meal. It is our last meal. | 不是”可能” 这肯定就是我们最后一餐了 |
[57:18] | Hey, this duck is terrific. | 这鸭子真好吃 |
[57:20] | You suppose they put anything in the food? | 你觉得他们会在食物里下毒吗? |
[57:23] | First they poison us, then they shoot us? | 先毒死我们 再枪毙我们? |
[57:29] | – I think they put something in it. – Like what? | -我认为他们在里面下了药 -放了什么? |
[57:32] | Like, uh … Like something or make us groggy or something. | 比如…比如能让我们昏昏沉沉之类的东西 |
[57:36] | What would be wrong with that if they did? | 他们如果这么做了 也无可厚非 |
[57:39] | Maybe nothing for you, but I’m gonna get out of this somehow… | 也许对你来说无所谓 但是我无论如何要出去 |
[57:42] | and I don’t wanna be drugged. | 我不想被下药 |
[57:44] | How are you gonna get out … | 你要怎么出去? |
[57:45] | chew your way through that stone wall? | 在石墙上啃出一条路吗? |
[57:48] | Arnaud. Colonel Dax, he’ll-he’ll … he’ll see us through. | 阿尔诺 达克斯上校 他会帮我们的 |
[57:53] | Listen, we gotta get out of here. | 听着 我们得出去 |
[57:55] | They’re gonna kill us in a few hours if we don’t. | 否则几小时之内他们就会杀了我们 |
[57:56] | – Have you got an idea? – No, but there’s gotta be a way. | -你有办法吗? -没有 但肯定有办法的 |
[58:01] | How many guards you think they’ve got out there? | 你觉得外面有多少人在看守? |
[58:04] | They may have a couple of squads. | 可能会有几个警卫 |
[58:05] | That’s what it sounded like this morning. | 今天早上听起来是这样的 |
[58:07] | Maybe they’re some of our friends. | 也许他们是我们的朋友 |
[58:08] | That’s the Third Battalion. | 那些人是三营的 |
[58:10] | Anyway, right now, we have no friends. | 不管怎样 现在我们已经没有朋友了 |
[58:14] | Why kid yourself? We’re not gonna get out of this. | 为什么要欺骗自己? 我们出不去的 |
[58:17] | Maybe you’re not, but I am. I’ll guarantee you of that. | 也许你出不去 但是我能出去 我向你保证 |
[58:22] | You see that cockroach? | 看到那只蟑螂了吗? |
[58:24] | Tomorrow morning, we’ll be dead and it’ll be alive. | 明天早上 我们会死掉 而它会活着 |
[58:27] | It’ll have more contact with my wife and child than I will. | 比起我 它跟我妻子和孩子的联系更紧密 |
[58:32] | I’ll be nothing, and it’ll be alive. | 我什么都不是了 而它会活着 |
[58:35] | Now you got the edge on ‘im. | 现在你比它强啦 |
[58:42] | Good evening, my sons. I’m Father Dupree. | 晚上好 我的孩子们 我是杜普里神父 |
[58:48] | – Is there any news? – Yes. I’m afraid I bring you very bad news. | -有什么消息吗? -恐怕我带来的是很坏的消息 |
[58:53] | You must prepare yourselves for the worst. | 达克斯上校要我告诉你们 |
[58:54] | Colonel Dax asked me to tell you so. | 要做好最坏的打算 |
[58:56] | Oh, mercy! No! | 噢 仁慈的上帝 不! |
[58:57] | He’s been in telephone contact with army headquarters… | 他已经跟总部通过电话 |
[59:00] | but unable to speak to General Broulard or, | 但无法找到布罗拉得将军 |
[59:02] | for that matter, to anyone in authority. | 或其他有权利过问这件事的人 |
[59:04] | Same way at Division. No one wants to be found. | 师部也是一样 都躲着不接电话 |
[59:07] | – How much time do we have? – You have plenty of time yet. | -我们还有多少时间? -还有很多时间 |
[59:10] | Certainly more than enough to prepare yourselves. | 足够你们做好准备 |
[59:14] | In nomine Patris… In the name of the Father … | 以圣父圣子 |
[59:16] | et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. | 圣灵之名 |
[59:19] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[59:28] | Father, will you take this letter for me, please? | 神父 可以帮我寄这封信吗? |
[59:32] | – Of course, my son. – It’s to my wife. | -当然 我的孩子 -是写给我妻子的 |
[59:34] | She won’t understand this, and I tried to explain it to her. | 她不会明白的 我已经尽力解释了 |
[59:37] | I’ll see that she gets it. | 我保证她会明白的 |
[59:39] | Do you want me to hear your confession? | 你需要我倾听你的忏悔吗? |
[59:42] | Well, Father, to tell you the truth, I’m not very religious. | 神父 事实上 我不是很信教 |
[59:46] | I know you’re trying to help, and I appreciate it… | 我知道你想帮我 我很感激 |
[59:49] | but if I started praying now, I’d feel like a hypocrite. | 但是如果我现在祷告 我会觉得自己很虚伪 |
[59:52] | Oh, that’s an error, my son. | 噢 你错了 孩子 |
[59:54] | God is always ready to listen to your prayers. | 上帝随时都愿意听你的祷告 |
[1:00:00] | All right, Father. | 好吧 神父 |
[1:00:02] | – Will you please hear my confession now? – Yes. | -你现在愿意听我忏悔吗? -是的 |
[1:00:06] | Have faith in your Creator, my son. | 信仰上帝吧 孩子 |
[1:00:09] | Death comes to us all. | 我们每个人都会面临死亡 |
[1:00:11] | In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. | 以圣父 圣子以及圣灵之名 |
[1:00:13] | That’s really deep. “Death comes to us all. “ | 这的确很深刻 “我们每个人都会面临死亡” |
[1:00:16] | That really is deep. | 这的确是很深刻 |
[1:00:19] | Say, Ferol, what’s the matter… | 弗罗 怎么了 |
[1:00:20] | afraid your luck isn’t going to hold out? | 担心你的运气无法让你坚持下去? |
[1:00:21] | Well, look. This is … This is my religion. | 好吧 瞧! 这是…这是我的信仰 |
[1:00:24] | O Great Bottle, forgive me my sins, | 噢 伟大的酒瓶 原谅我的罪孽 |
[1:00:26] | for now I lay me down to sleep, Bo peep. | 现在我要躺下长眠了 |
[1:00:27] | May I drink of you first? Thank you. Amen. | 我可以先喝一点你吗? 谢谢 阿门 |
[1:00:29] | I understand your anguish, my son… | 我理解你处于极度痛苦中 我的孩子 |
[1:00:32] | but you must not let it harden your heart. | 但你不能任由它使你变得铁石心肠 |
[1:00:34] | May I tell you something, Father? | 我能告诉你一些事吗 神父? |
[1:00:36] | Back in my hometown, there was a certain little cafe… | 在我的家乡 有一座小咖啡馆 |
[1:00:38] | with an amusing sign over the bar. | 吧台上有一条有趣的标语 |
[1:00:41] | It read, “Do not be afraid to ask for credit… | 是这样写的 “别害怕赊账 |
[1:00:44] | for our way of refusing is very polite. “ | 因为我们拒绝的方式是非常礼貌的” |
[1:00:46] | Come on, Arnaud, sit down. You’re drunk. | 来吧 阿尔诺 坐下 你喝醉了 |
[1:00:48] | – Come on. Sit down. – Oh, Paris, leave me alone. | -坐下 -噢 帕瑞斯 别管我 |
[1:00:50] | And you, get out of here with your sanctimonious pat answers. | 而你 带着你油腔滑调的说辞滚出去 |
[1:00:54] | What are you hanging around for … to torture us? | 你在这里做什么? 为了折磨我们? |
[1:00:55] | No. To help you with all my power. | 不 为了尽我全部的力量来帮助你们 |
[1:00:57] | Your power? You have no power! | 你的力量? 你没有任何力量! |
[1:00:58] | No, but God has power. | 不 但上帝有力量 |
[1:01:00] | – Does he? What a laugh! – You can be saved. | -他有吗? 真好笑 -你会被拯救的 |
[1:01:03] | Saved? I’ll be saved! | 拯救? 我会被拯救! |
[1:01:07] | Cut it out, Arnaud! | 够了 阿尔诺! |
[1:01:10] | Arnaud! | 阿尔诺! |
[1:01:12] | Arnaud. | 阿尔诺 |
[1:01:20] | Father, get a doctor. Quick. | 神父 去找医生来 快 |
[1:01:32] | That should keep him quiet long enough. | 这会让他保持很长时间的平静 |
[1:01:34] | That’s a nasty skull fracture though. | 他的颅骨严重骨折 |
[1:01:36] | He may not live out the night. | 他可能撑不过今晚 |
[1:01:37] | What are we supposed to do with him? | 我们能帮他做什么? |
[1:01:39] | My advice is to tie him to a stretcher | 我建议把他绑在担架上 |
[1:01:41] | so that he won’t slip when you tilt it vertically. | 这样竖起担架的时候 他就不会滑下来 |
[1:01:43] | Surely they won’t execute a man in that condition. | 他们不会对伤成这样的人行刑的 |
[1:01:46] | I’m sorry, Father. The sentence will be carried out. | 很遗憾 神父 处决依然会执行 |
[1:01:48] | I’ve already checked with the general on it. | 我已经和将军确认过了 |
[1:01:51] | If he’s still alive in the morning… | 如果他早上还活着 |
[1:01:53] | pinch his cheeks a couple of times before you take him out on the field. | 把他抬出去之前捏几下他的脸 |
[1:01:55] | It may make him open his eyes. | 这会让他睁开眼睛 |
[1:01:56] | The general wants him to be conscious. | 将军希望他是清醒的 |
[1:02:00] | Yes? | 谁啊? |
[1:02:04] | – Lieutenant Roget reporting, sir. – Come in, come in. | -罗杰中尉报告 长官 -进来 进来 |
[1:02:08] | Sergeant Boulanger said that you wanted to see me, sir. | 博兰格尔中士说你要见我 长官 |
[1:02:10] | Yes, Lieutenant. | 是的 中尉 |
[1:02:12] | Looks as if we have a pretty unpleasant thing on our hands | 几个小时后将有 |
[1:02:14] | in a few hours, doesn’t it? | 一件不愉快的事情要我们处理 |
[1:02:15] | – You mean the execution, sir. – Yes, I mean the execution. | -你是指行刑 长官? -是的 |
[1:02:19] | Yes, sir. It’s very unfortunate. | 是的 长官 这是一件非常不幸的事 |
[1:02:21] | Oh, very unfortunate. That’s just how I feel about it. | 哦 非常不幸 我正是这种感觉 |
[1:02:24] | None of us are happy about it, sir. | 我们都很难过 长官 |
[1:02:26] | How’d you happen to pick Corporal Paris? | 你是怎么选出帕瑞斯下士的? |
[1:02:30] | Well, I … I had to pick somebody, sir. | 我…我必须得选出个人来 长官 |
[1:02:32] | That’s right. You did. | 是啊 你必须 |
[1:02:33] | Of course, you had no personal motive in picking Paris, did you? | 当然 你选出帕瑞斯的时候不是由于个人恩怨 对吗? |
[1:02:36] | Oh, no, sir. | 噢 不是 长官 |
[1:02:38] | You picked him because he was a coward, didn’t you? | 你选他 是因为他是懦夫 不是吗? |
[1:02:42] | Well, did you or didn’t you? | 是还是不是? |
[1:02:45] | Oh, yes, sir, I did. | 噢 是的 长官 是这个原因 |
[1:02:47] | Well … Like you say, somebody had to be picked. | 诚然 正如你所说 不得不选个人出来 |
[1:02:51] | Oh, it was quite a problem, sir. | 这是个困难的抉择 长官 |
[1:02:54] | Yes, I have the same kind of problem. | 是的 我现在面对同样的难题 |
[1:02:55] | I have to pick someone to be in charge of the firing squad tomorrow. | 我必须选个人 负责执行明天的行刑 |
[1:02:58] | Do you have any objections to taking the job? | 你对接受这项任务没有任何异议吧? |
[1:03:01] | – Me, sir? – Yes, you. | -我? 长官? -是的 你 |
[1:03:06] | – Well … – What’s the matter? Don’t you feel well? | -这… -怎么了? 你觉得这不好? |
[1:03:08] | Well, no … Yeah, l-I feel all right, sir. | 这… 不… 我 我没事 长官 |
[1:03:11] | It’s just that I … | 我只是… |
[1:03:12] | Is it too hot in here? Would you like me to open a window? | 这儿是不是太热了? 我去打开窗户? |
[1:03:14] | No, sir. No, sir. | 不用 长官 不用 |
[1:03:16] | Well, it’s … It’s just | 只是…只是 |
[1:03:18] | that I’ve never been in charge of a firing squad before, sir. | 我没有负责行刑的经验 长官 |
[1:03:22] | Oh, there’s nothing to it. | 噢 这没啥 |
[1:03:24] | First, you help the sergeant tie the men to the posts. | 首先你帮中士把他们绑在柱子上 |
[1:03:27] | Of course, you offer the men blindfolds. | 当然 然后如果他们需要 |
[1:03:29] | And, well, if they want them, you tie them on, see? | 你给他们戴上眼罩 |
[1:03:32] | Now, you …you take your position with the firing squad… | 然后 你站在行刑队旁边 |
[1:03:34] | you raise your sword … “Ready, aim, fire. “ | 举起你的剑 “准备 瞄准 射击” |
[1:03:38] | Then you draw your revolver out, you walk forward… | 然后 你拔出左轮手枪 走上前 |
[1:03:41] | and put a bullet through each man’s head. | 朝每个人的头上开一枪 |
[1:03:45] | Sir, I request that I be excused from this duty. | 长官 我请求不接受这个任务 |
[1:03:48] | Request denied. | 否决 |
[1:03:51] | – Colonel, I … – You’ve got the job. | -上校 我… -你要执行这项任务 |
[1:03:52] | It’s all yours. That’s all, Lieutenant. | 任务已经都指派给你了 就这样 |
[1:03:55] | – Colonel, if you could just … – That’s all, Lieutenant! | -上校 如果你可以… -就这样 中尉! |
[1:03:58] | Yes? | 谁啊? |
[1:04:00] | Excuse me, sir. Colonel Dax? | 打扰一下 长官 您是达克斯上校吗? |
[1:04:02] | – Yes. – My name is Rousseau, sir, | -是的 -我叫卢梭 长官 |
[1:04:04] | – Captain of Artillery. – What is it, Captain? | -我是炮兵上尉 -什么事 上尉? |
[1:04:13] | I have something to tell you, sir, | 我有些事要告诉你 长官 |
[1:04:14] | that may have a great bearing on the court-martial. | 也许与军事法庭有很大的关系 |
[1:04:18] | Come in, Captain. | 进来 中尉 |
[1:05:14] | Well, Colonel, good evening. | 上校 晚上好 |
[1:05:16] | – Good evening, sir. – Good evening. Come and sit down. | -晚上好 长官 -晚上好 进来坐 |
[1:05:19] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 长官 |
[1:05:19] | I …I am really sorry to intrude on you in this way. | 我很抱歉 这么唐突地闯到你这里来 |
[1:05:22] | Not at all. Always delighted to see you, Colonel Dax. | 一点也不 见到你 我总是很高兴 达克斯上校 |
[1:05:24] | – Will you have a cigar? – No, thank you, sir, but … | -来支雪茄吗? -不 谢谢你 长官 |
[1:05:27] | – Well, I … – I think you’ll find it delicious. | -但我… -我想你会发现这酒很好喝 |
[1:05:31] | I must apologize for not inviting you | 我很抱歉没有邀请你 |
[1:05:32] | to join the party downstairs tonight… | 来参加今晚楼下的宴会 |
[1:05:33] | but I’m afraid that it’s, uh, a dress affair. | 但恐怕这只是些盛装打扮之事 |
[1:05:37] | Well, thank you, sir, but I must confess that, | 谢谢你 长官 但我得承认 |
[1:05:39] | uh, this is not entirely a social visit. | 我这次来完全不是社交式的拜访 |
[1:05:42] | Oh, come, Dax, let’s not go over all that ground again. | 噢 达克斯 别再没完没了地提那件事了 |
[1:05:48] | Though, uh, I must admit that, | 不过 我必须承认 |
[1:05:50] | judging from the casualties | 从伤亡上看 |
[1:05:51] | the efforts of your regiment must have been considerable. | 你们团作出的努力还是有目共睹的 |
[1:05:53] | Now, how can you understand | 既然你理解这些 |
[1:05:55] | that and allow these men to be shot tomorrow? | 怎么还能让这些人明天被枪决? |
[1:05:57] | Oh, come, Colonel. | 上校 |
[1:05:58] | You’re choosing to take a rather simple view of this thing. | 你看问题的角度太简单了 |
[1:06:00] | The attack was impossible from the start. | 这次攻击从一开始就是不可能成功的 |
[1:06:02] | The General Staff must have known that. | 将军们肯定都清楚 |
[1:06:05] | Colonel Dax, we think we’re doing a good job running the war. | 达克斯上校 我们认为 我们在战争中表现不错 |
[1:06:10] | You must be aware of the fact that the General Staff is subject | 你应该清楚 将军们受到了 |
[1:06:12] | to all kinds of unfair pressures from newspapers and politicians. | 来自报纸和政客们的 各种各样的不公平的压力 |
[1:06:16] | Maybe the attack against the Anthill was impossible. | 也许进攻蚁丘的行动是不可能成功的 |
[1:06:19] | Perhaps it was an error of judgment on our part. | 也许是我们的判断出了问题 |
[1:06:21] | On the other hand, | 但从另一方面说 |
[1:06:23] | if your men had been a little more daring, | 如果你的士兵更勇敢一些的话 |
[1:06:24] | they might have taken it. | 他们也许能够攻下 |
[1:06:25] | Who knows? In any case… | 谁知道呢? 不管怎样 |
[1:06:28] | why should we have to bear | 为什么我们要 |
[1:06:30] | any more criticism for failure than we have to. | 为失败承担过多的批评呢? |
[1:06:32] | Aside from the inescapable fact | 另一个不能回避的事实是 |
[1:06:34] | that a good many of your men never left the trenches… | 你的士兵有很多根本就没有离开战壕 |
[1:06:35] | there’s the question of the troops’ morale. Don’t forget that. | 部队的士气的确有问题 别忘记这一点 |
[1:06:38] | – The troops’ morale? – Certainly. | -部队的士气? -是的 |
[1:06:40] | These executions will be a perfect tonic for the entire division. | 处死这些人对整个师来说 将是一剂完美的强心剂 |
[1:06:43] | There are few things more fundamentally encouraging and stimulating… | 没有什么比目睹别人的死亡 |
[1:06:46] | than seeing someone else die. | 更能深切地鼓励和刺激人的了 |
[1:06:48] | I never thought of that, sir. | 我从未这样想过 长官 |
[1:06:49] | You see, Colonel, troops are like children. | 你看 上校 部队就像孩子 |
[1:06:51] | Just as a child wants his father to be firm, | 就像孩子需要父亲的严格 |
[1:06:53] | – troops crave discipline. – I see. | -部队也渴望纪律 -我知道了 |
[1:06:55] | And one way to maintain discipline | 维持纪律的方法之一 |
[1:06:57] | is to shoot a man now and then. | 就是时不时毙掉个士兵 |
[1:06:59] | May I ask… | 我能否问一下 |
[1:07:02] | do you sincerely believe all the things you’ve just said? | 你真的相信你刚才说的话? |
[1:07:10] | It’s been a pleasure discussing this with you, Colonel… | 很高兴和你讨论这些 上校 |
[1:07:12] | but I’m afraid that I’d better be getting back to my guests. | 但恐怕我最好还是回去陪我的客人 |
[1:07:15] | Forgive me for having kept you from your party. | 请原谅 没让你享受到宴会时光 |
[1:07:20] | Oh, by the way, sir, have you heard that General Mireau… | 哦 对了 长官 你是否听说了梅瑞恩将军 |
[1:07:24] | ordered his own battery commander, Captain Rousseau… | 在这次攻击时 命令自己的炮兵指挥官卢梭上尉 |
[1:07:27] | to open fire on his own positions during the attack? | 炮击自己阵地的事? |
[1:07:34] | Well, of course the captain refused without a written order… | 当然 在没有书面命令的情况下 上尉拒绝了 |
[1:07:37] | but General Mireau demanded | 但是梅瑞恩将军命令他 |
[1:07:39] | that he commence firing on our own trenches. | 向我们自己的战壕开火 |
[1:07:41] | Again Rousseau refused without an order in writing… | 出于同样的原因 卢梭再一次拒绝了 |
[1:07:44] | but again he was ordered, and again he refused … | 但是将军再下命令 再被拒绝 |
[1:07:49] | all in front of witnesses. | 这些都有证人 |
[1:07:51] | Do you actually believe this fantastic story? | 你真的相信这个不切实际的故事? |
[1:07:53] | Here are copies of the sworn statements | 这里有几份主要证人 |
[1:07:55] | from all the principals involved … | 的宣誓证词 |
[1:07:58] | Battery Commander Rousseau, | 炮兵指挥官卢梭 |
[1:07:59] | Captain Nichols, the artillery spotter… | 火炮着弹点观察员尼克尔斯上尉 |
[1:08:01] | the telephone clerk and, uh, my own deposition. | 电话秘书和我自己的宣誓证词 |
[1:08:05] | What has all this got to do | 这些和那些被判有罪的犯人 |
[1:08:07] | with the charge against the condemned prisoners? | 之间有什么关系? |
[1:08:09] | A general in a tantrum over the failure of an impossible attack… | 一位将军 在一次本来就不可能成功的进攻失败后 |
[1:08:13] | orders his artillery to fire on his own men. | 气急败坏地命令他的炮兵向自己人开炮 |
[1:08:17] | Now, this same officer on the same day… | 同一名军官在同一天 |
[1:08:20] | orders a court-martial | 组织了一个军事法庭 |
[1:08:21] | in which three of his men are sentenced to be shot. | 判决他的三名士兵死刑 |
[1:08:25] | General, what would your, uh, | 将军 你的 |
[1:08:27] | newspapers and your politicians do with that? | 报纸和政客们知道这些会怎么样? |
[1:08:31] | Colonel Dax, are you trying to blackmail me? | 达克斯上校 您想威胁我吗? |
[1:08:34] | Sir, that’s an ugly word, | 长官 这个词可不好听 |
[1:08:35] | but you are in a difficult position. | 但是你现在处境很困难 |
[1:08:38] | Too much has happened. | 发生了太多的事情 |
[1:08:39] | Someone’s got to be hurt. The only question is who. | 总有人要受到伤害 唯一问题是 伤害谁 |
[1:08:44] | General Mireau’s assault on the Anthill failed… | 梅瑞恩将军进攻蚁丘的行动失败了 |
[1:08:47] | and his order to fire on this own troops was refused. | 他下令炮击自己部队的命令被拒绝了 |
[1:08:51] | But his attempt to murder three innocent men… | 他为了保护他自己的声誉 |
[1:08:54] | to protect his own reputation | 企图谋杀三个无辜的人 |
[1:08:55] | will be prevented by the General Staff. | 他的企图将会被将军们制止 |
[1:09:05] | Will you pardon me, Colonel Dax? | 请原谅 达克斯上校 |
[1:09:07] | I’ve been rude to my guests too long. | 我已经让客人们等太久了 |
[1:09:38] | Detail, halt! | 立定! |
[1:09:40] | Order arms! | 持枪立正! |
[1:09:44] | Fall out! | 行动! |
[1:10:12] | Courage, my son. The worst is over. | 勇敢些 我的孩子 最坏的时候已经过去了 |
[1:10:26] | Good morning, Paris. | 早上好 帕瑞斯 |
[1:10:29] | Good morning, Sergeant. | 早上好 中士 |
[1:10:31] | How are you today? | 今天感觉如何? |
[1:10:32] | Not too bad. How are you? | 还行吧 你呢? |
[1:10:38] | You missed some good chow in here last night. | 你错过了昨晚这儿的美餐 |
[1:10:41] | What’d you have? | 都有什么好吃的? |
[1:10:46] | Have you got a drink for us? | 给我们带酒了吗? |
[1:10:48] | Take a swig of this. | 痛快喝吧 |
[1:10:54] | It just occurred to me … A funny thing. | 这件事居然发生在我身上了 真是好笑 |
[1:10:58] | I haven’t had one sexual thought since the court-martial. | 从庭审到现在我连一次性幻想都没出现 |
[1:11:01] | It’s pretty extraordinary, isn’t it? | 很了不起 不是吗? |
[1:11:03] | Pull yourself together. Act like a man. | 起来 像个男人点 |
[1:11:06] | – Listen, Paris. Are you listening to me? – Yes. | -听着 帕瑞斯 你在听吗? -是的 |
[1:11:11] | There will be a lot of dignitaries, newspapermen out there. | 很多高官 记者都在外面 |
[1:11:13] | You’ve got a wife and family. How do you want to be remembered? | 你有妻子和家庭 你想留给他们怎样的印象? |
[1:11:16] | I don’t wanna die. | 我不想死 |
[1:11:17] | Many of us will be joining you before this war’s over. | 我们中的很多人 在战争结束前也会死的 |
[1:11:20] | I don’t care. I don’t wanna die. | 我不管 我不想死 |
[1:11:24] | Please save me, Sergeant. | 救救我 中士 |
[1:11:26] | I can’t save you. No one can now. | 我救不了你 现在谁也救不了你了 |
[1:11:30] | This is the last decision you’ll have a chance to make on earth. | 这是你生前有机会做的最后一个决定 |
[1:11:33] | You can pull yourself together, act like a man, | 你可以像男子汉一样站直了 |
[1:11:34] | or we’ll have to drag you out of here. | 否则我们只有把你拖出去 |
[1:11:35] | In the end, it’ll all be the same. It’s up to you. | 最终结果都是一样的 这取决于你 |
[1:11:56] | Well, let’s get busy. You and Ferol take your coats off. | 快点吧 你和弗罗 把外衣脱掉 |
[1:11:58] | It’s no use hanging around here. | 在这儿耽搁没有意义 |
[1:12:18] | …with the help of thy grace to do penance | 愿全能的主垂怜我们 赦免我的罪 |
[1:12:21] | and to amend my life. | 使我得到永生 |
[1:12:29] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[1:12:31] | Why do I have to die? For what? | 为什么我必须死? 我到底为什么而死? |
[1:12:37] | Why do I have to die? Why? I didn’t do anything. | 为什么我必须死? 为什么? 我什么也没做 |
[1:12:40] | We do not question the will of God, my son. | 我们不要怀疑上帝的旨意 我的孩子 |
[1:12:43] | But I fought. I fought. I fought on the battlefield. | 但是我曾战斗 我曾战斗 我曾在战场上战斗 |
[1:12:47] | Why don’t they die? Why not put them to death? | 他们为什么不死? 为什么不让他们去死? |
[1:12:51] | You showed courage in the face of the enemy, my son. | 你在敌人面前展示了你的英勇 我的孩子 |
[1:12:53] | Show it now before your own troops. | 现在在自己的部队面前展示吧 |
[1:12:55] | But I’m scared. I’m scared. | 但是我害怕 我害怕 |
[1:12:59] | Oh, Father, I’m scared. Oh, my God. | 噢 神父 我好害怕 噢 上帝啊 |
[1:13:02] | Courage. Brace yourself, man. Brace yourself. | 勇敢点 稳住情绪 士兵 稳住情绪 |
[1:13:13] | He said, “This day, thou shalt be with me in paradise. “ | 他说: “这一天 你当与我同在天堂” |
[1:13:17] | – Really, Father? – Yes. | -真的吗 神父? -是的 |
[1:13:22] | I don’t understand why… | 我不知道为什么 |
[1:13:27] | I’ll never see nobody again, Father. Please. | 我再也见不到任何人了 神父 |
[1:13:31] | Courage, man. Brace yourself. | 勇敢点 士兵 稳住情绪 |
[1:13:34] | – I can’t help it. – Brace yourself. | -我做不到 -稳住情绪 |
[1:13:37] | – I can’t help it, Father. – O God, O Almighty God … | -我做不到 神父 -上帝 全能的上帝… |
[1:13:42] | Oh, Christ! Christ! | 噢 基督! 基督! |
[1:13:44] | Grant courage to this man who is about to die. | 赐给这个人勇气 他即将面临死亡 |
[1:13:45] | Strengthen me, God! Please strengthen me! | 赐我力量 上帝! 请赐我力量! |
[1:13:54] | Why do I have to die, Father? | 为什么我必须死呢 神父? |
[1:14:00] | Why do I have to die, Father? | 为什么我必须死呢 神父? |
[1:14:02] | About face! | 向后转! |
[1:14:13] | Secure prisoners! | 绑好囚犯! |
[1:14:19] | Detail, attention! | 全队注意! |
[1:14:21] | Forward march! | 齐步走! |
[1:14:32] | Detail, | 立… |
[1:14:36] | halt! | 定! |
[1:14:38] | Left face! | 向左转! |
[1:14:51] | Please don’t. Please choose me to … | 请别 请别选我… |
[1:15:14] | “In the name of the French People… | 以法国人民的名义 |
[1:15:17] | “Corporal Philippe Paris… | 701团 下士菲利普 帕瑞斯 |
[1:15:19] | “Private Maurice Ferol… | 二等兵莫里斯 弗罗 |
[1:15:21] | “And Private Pierre Arnaud… “Of the 701 st Regiment… | 二等兵皮埃尔 阿尔诺 |
[1:15:26] | “Having been found guilty | 被判有罪 |
[1:15:28] | of cowardice in the face of the enemy… | 罪名是在敌人面前表现怯懦 |
[1:15:31] | “Are to be executed by rifle fire immediately… | 根据军事法庭的裁决 |
[1:15:34] | in accordance with the judgment of the military court-martial. “ | 立即执行枪决 |
[1:15:43] | Right face! | 向右转! |
[1:15:47] | Forward hut! | 齐步走! |
[1:16:08] | Do you want a blindfold? | 要蒙上眼睛吗? |
[1:16:11] | Yes, Lieutenant. Please. | 是的 中尉 拜托 |
[1:16:19] | I don’t wanna die. I don’t wanna die. | 我不想死 我不想死 |
[1:16:34] | – Do … Do you want a blindfold? – No. | -要…要蒙上眼睛吗? -不 |
[1:16:40] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:17:05] | Oh, father… | 噢 神父 |
[1:17:20] | Ready! | 准备! |
[1:17:24] | Aim! | 瞄准! |
[1:17:28] | Fire! | 射击! |
[1:17:33] | I’m awfully glad you could be there, George. | 我非常高兴你能在那儿 乔治 |
[1:17:36] | This sort of thing is always rather grim. | 这种事情总是很残酷的 |
[1:17:38] | But this one had a kind of splendor to it, don’t you think? | 但这一次却带有几分辉煌 你不觉得吗? |
[1:17:41] | I have never seen an affair of this sort handled any better. | 我没见过处理得这么完美的 |
[1:17:44] | The men died wonderfully. | 他们死得干脆利落 |
[1:17:46] | There’s always that chance that one of them will do something | 往往会有可能 其中某个人会闹出些乱子 |
[1:17:48] | that will leave everyone with a bad taste. | 让大家都不爽 |
[1:17:50] | This time, you couldn’t ask for better. | 恐怕没有比这一次更完美的了 |
[1:17:54] | Yes? | 谁啊? |
[1:17:57] | – Yes, Colonel? – You wanted to see me, sir. | -是上校吗? -你要见我 长官 |
[1:17:59] | Oh, yes, yes. Come in, Colonel. Come in and sit down. | 噢 是的 请进 上校 进来坐 |
[1:18:04] | Oh, Colonel Dax, your men died very well. | 噢 达克斯上校 你的人死得很好 |
[1:18:11] | – Would you like some coffee, Colonel? – No, thank you, sir. | -喝点咖啡吗 上校? -不 谢谢你 长官 |
[1:18:14] | Oh, by the way, Paul, it’s been brought to my attention… | 噢 对了 保罗 我听说攻打蚁丘的过程中 |
[1:18:16] | that you ordered your artillery to | 你命令炮兵 |
[1:18:17] | fire on your own men during the attack on the Anthill. | 向自己人炮击 |
[1:18:22] | I did what? | 我下了什么命令? |
[1:18:24] | Who told you that? | 谁告诉你的? |
[1:18:25] | Colonel Dax came to me last night with the story. | 达克斯上校昨晚来对我说的 |
[1:18:30] | Colonel Dax, | 达克斯上校 |
[1:18:32] | I’ve always known that you were a disloyal officer… | 我一直很清楚 你不是个忠心耿耿的军官 |
[1:18:35] | but I never dreamed that | 但是我没想到 |
[1:18:36] | you would stoop to anything so low as this. | 你会使如此低劣的手段 |
[1:18:38] | General, I have sworn statements | 将军 我有一些宣誓证词 |
[1:18:40] | from Captain Nichols, your artillery spotter… | 你的火炮着弹点观察员尼克尔斯上尉的 |
[1:18:43] | Captain Rousseau, the battery commander who refused your order. | 拒绝执行命令的炮兵指挥官卢梭上尉的 |
[1:18:46] | I think it’s infamous, absolutely infamous. | 这太无耻了 极其无耻 |
[1:18:48] | Then there’s no truth at all to the charge made by Colonel Dax? | 那达克斯上校的指控都不是事实? |
[1:18:50] | I don’t see how you could even ask me that. | 难道这还用问吗? |
[1:18:53] | You cannot imagine how glad I am to hear that, Paul. | 你想不到我听你这么说会有多高兴 保罗 |
[1:18:55] | I’m certain that you’ll come through it all right. | 我确信你将顺利度过这一关 |
[1:18:58] | – I’ll come through what? – There will have to be an inquiry. | -我度过什么? -不得不展开一次调查 |
[1:19:00] | – An inquiry? – But it won’t amount to much. | -调查? -但不会太多的 |
[1:19:03] | Those things never do. The public forgets. | 这种事情从不会太多 公众很健忘的 |
[1:19:04] | – “Public”? – You’ve got to have the right to clear your name. | -公众? -你应该有权澄清自己的名誉 |
[1:19:07] | You cannot allow such vile insinuations | 你不能允许这些 |
[1:19:09] | against your character to go undenied. | 影响你形象的恶劣言辞恣意横流 |
[1:19:13] | So that’s it. | 好吧 到此为止吧 |
[1:19:16] | You’re making me the goat … | 你把我当山羊吗 |
[1:19:18] | the only completely innocent man in this whole affair. | 我才是整个事件中唯一无辜的人 |
[1:19:25] | I have only one last thing to say to you, George. | 我只有最后一件事要告诉你 乔治 |
[1:19:29] | The man you stabbed in the back is a soldier. | 被你在背后捅刀子的 是个军人 |
[1:19:41] | Well… | 嗯 |
[1:19:44] | had to be done. | 不得不这么做 |
[1:19:46] | France cannot afford to have fools guiding her military destiny. | 法国不能让傻瓜来决定军队的命运 |
[1:19:49] | I’m grateful to you, Dax, | 谢谢你 达克斯 |
[1:19:50] | for having brought this matter to my attention. | 让我注意到这件事 |
[1:19:53] | Colonel Dax, how would you like General Mireau’s job? | 达克斯上校 你对梅瑞恩将军的工作怎么看? |
[1:19:58] | – His what, sir? – His job. | -他的什么? -他的工作 |
[1:20:00] | Let me get this straight, sir. | 我还是开门见山的说吧 长官 |
[1:20:04] | You’re offering me General Mireau’s command? | 你是让我接替梅瑞恩将军的统帅职位? |
[1:20:07] | Come, come, Colonel Dax. Don’t overdo the surprise. | 达克斯上校 不用过于表现你的惊讶吧 |
[1:20:10] | You’ve been after the job from the start. | 你从一开始就想要这份工作了 |
[1:20:11] | We all know that, my boy. | 我们都知道的 我的孩子 |
[1:20:14] | I may be many things, sir, | 我可能是很多东西 长官 |
[1:20:16] | but I’m not your boy. | 但是我不是你的孩子 |
[1:20:17] | Well, I certainly didn’t mean to imply any biological relationship. | 好吧 我当然不是指任何血缘上的关系 |
[1:20:20] | I’m not your boy in any sense. | 从任何意义上说我都不是你的孩子 |
[1:20:21] | You trying to provoke me, Colonel? | 你是在激怒我吗 上校? |
[1:20:22] | – Why should I want to do that, sir? – Exactly. | -我为什么要激怒你? -没错 |
[1:20:24] | It would be a pity to lose your promotion before you get it… | 如果在晋升之前 就失去你精心策划 |
[1:20:26] | a promotion you have so very carefully planned for. | 而得到的晋升机会 那将会很可惜 |
[1:20:32] | Sir, would you like me to suggest | 长官 你想要我来暗示 |
[1:20:33] | what you can do with that promotion? | 你有权决定这次职务任免? |
[1:20:36] | Colonel Dax! You will apologize at once, | 达克斯上校 立刻向我道歉 |
[1:20:38] | or I shall have you placed under arrest! | 否则你将会被逮捕 |
[1:20:41] | I apologize for not being entirely honest with you. | 我为对你不够诚实而道歉 |
[1:20:45] | I apologize for not revealing my true feelings. | 我为隐藏我的真实情感而道歉 |
[1:20:49] | I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner… | 我道歉 长官 因为我没有早点告诉你 |
[1:20:51] | that you’re a degenerate, sadistic old man… | 你是个堕落的 以他人痛苦为乐的老头子 |
[1:20:55] | and you can go to hell | 在我向你道歉之前 |
[1:20:56] | before I apologize to you now or ever again! | 你可以下地狱了! |
[1:21:01] | Colonel Dax, you’re a disappointment to me. | 达克斯上校 你让我很失望 |
[1:21:05] | You’ve spoiled the keenness of your mind | 任凭自己感情用事 |
[1:21:07] | by wallowing in sentimentality. | 令你的头脑不再灵敏 |
[1:21:09] | You really did want to save those men… | 你确实很想救那些人 |
[1:21:12] | and you were not angling for Mireau’s command. | 你也不觊觎梅瑞恩将军的统帅职位 |
[1:21:14] | You’re an idealist, | 你是一个理想主义者 |
[1:21:16] | and I pity you as I would the village idiot. | 我同情你就好像同情一个乡下白痴 |
[1:21:18] | We’re fighting a war, Dax, a war that we’ve got to win. | 我们在打一场战争 达克斯 我们要赢得胜利 |
[1:21:21] | Those men didn’t fight, so they were shot. | 那些人没有战斗 所以他们被枪决 |
[1:21:23] | You bring charges against General Mireau, | 你控告梅瑞恩将军 |
[1:21:25] | so I insist that he answer them. | 所以我坚持让他应诉 |
[1:21:27] | Wherein have I done wrong? | 我哪里做错了呢? |
[1:21:33] | Because you don’t know the answer to that question… | 因为你不知道那个问题的答案 |
[1:21:38] | I pity you. | 我可怜你 |
[1:22:06] | Thank you. Thank you, thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢 |
[1:22:08] | Now, gentlemen, | 先生们 |
[1:22:09] | we have a little special entertainment for you. | 我们为你们准备了一点特别的娱乐节目 |
[1:22:15] | Sort of a … sort of a little diversion as it were. | 就像以前那样 来点儿消遣 |
[1:22:18] | And as my wife always says, | 如同我妻子经常说的 |
[1:22:20] | “What is life without a little diversion?” | “要是没有点儿消遣 生活还算是什么?” |
[1:22:25] | Now, gentlemen, | 现在 先生们 |
[1:22:26] | I give you our latest acquisition from the enemy. | 我为你们献上 我们最新从敌人手上获得的战利品 |
[1:22:31] | From Germany. The land of the Hun. | 从德国来的 匈奴的土地! |
[1:22:59] | Gentlemen, a little pearl washed ashore | 先生们 随着战争的潮汐 |
[1:23:04] | by the tide of war. | 冲上岸的一颗小珍珠 |
[1:23:15] | Hey! Talk in a civilized language. | 嘿 讲一种文明人的语言吧 |
[1:23:20] | It’s true the little lady has her limitations. | 的确 这位年轻的女士有她自身的不足 |
[1:23:22] | As a matter of fact, she has absolutely no talent at all … | 事实上 她绝对没有任何才能 |
[1:23:26] | except, that is, well, maybe a little natural talent? | 此外 好吧 也许有一点点天赋 |
[1:23:35] | The little lady can’t dance, she can’t tell any jokes… | 这位年轻的小姐不会跳舞 不会讲笑话 |
[1:23:38] | and she can’t balance rubber balls on her little nose. | 也不会用她的小鼻子顶橡皮球 |
[1:23:40] | Ah, but she can sing like a bird. | 啊 但她的歌声像鸟儿一样 |
[1:23:44] | She has a throat of gold. | 她有一副金嗓子 |
[1:23:46] | – Come on, baby! – Come on, honey! | -来吧 宝贝! -来吧 亲爱的! |
[1:23:47] | Sing us a song! Come on, baby! Sing us a song! | 给我们唱支歌! 来吧 亲爱的! 唱支歌! |
[1:24:06] | Louder! Louder! | 大点声! 大声点! |
[1:26:23] | – Sir. – Yes, Sergeant? | -长官 -什么事 中士? |
[1:26:25] | We have orders to move back to the front immediately. | 我们奉命立刻返回前线 |
[1:26:30] | – Give the men a few minutes more, Sergeant. – Yes, sir. | -再多给他们几分钟吧 -遵命 长官 |