Skip to content

英美剧电影台词站

Oppenheimer(奥本海默)[2023]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计

Posted on June 16, 2024 By taiciben_script_user No Comments on Oppenheimer(奥本海默)[2023]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计
电影名称:奥本海默
英文名称:Oppenheimer
年代:2023

推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 英文 中文
[01:31] “PROMETHEUS STOLE FIRE FROM THE GODS AND GAVE IT TO MAN.” “普罗米修斯从众神那里窃取火种并将其送给了人类”
[01:35] “FOR THIS HE WAS CHAINED TO A ROCK AND TORTURED FOR ETERNITY.” “为此 他被锁在岩石上 永生永世遭受折磨”
[01:48] Dr. Oppenheimer. 奥本海默博士
[01:51] Dr. Oppenheimer. 奥本海默博士
[01:54] As we begin, I believe you have a statement to read into the record. 开始的时候 我希望你宣读一份声明记录在案
[01:59] Yes, your honor. 好的 法官大人
[02:00] -We’re not judges, Doctor. -No. -我们不是法官 博士 -明白
[02:10] Members of the security board, 各位安全委员会成员
[02:13] the so-called interrogatory information in your indictment of me 你们在阅读我的起诉书中所谓的审讯信息时
[02:16] cannot be fairly understood except in the context 如果不结合我的生活和工作
[02:19] of my life, and my work. 是无法公正地理解的
[02:22] How long did he testify? 他作证多久了?
[02:25] Honestly, I forget. 说实话 我忘了
[02:28] The whole hearing took a month. 整个听证会持续了一个月
[02:30] -An ordeal. -Oh, I’ve only read the transcripts. -一场磨难 -哦 我只读了文字记录
[02:36] -Who’d want to justify their whole life? -You weren’t there? -谁愿意公开自己的一生呢? -你当时不在场吗?
[02:39] As chairman, I wasn’t allowed to be. 作为主席 我不能出现
[02:41] Are they really going to ask about it? 他们真的会问吗?
[02:44] It was years ago. 那是几年前的事了
[02:45] -Four years ago. -Five. -四年前 -五
[02:48] Oppenheimer still divides America. 奥本海默仍然分裂美国
[02:49] The committee’s going to want to know where you stood. 委员会想知道你的立场
[02:52] Senator Thurmond asked me to say not to feel that you’re on trial. 瑟蒙德参议员让我说不要觉得你在受审
[02:56] Oh, funny. I didn’t, until you just said that. 有意思 你这么说我才觉得
[02:59] -Really, Mr. Strauss… -It’s Admiral. -真的 施特劳斯先生…… -是将军
[03:01] Admiral. Admiral Strauss, this is a formality. 施特劳斯将军 这只是例行公事
[03:04] President Eisenhower has asked you to be in his cabinet. 艾森豪威尔总统钦点你加入他的内阁
[03:07] The Senate really has no choice but to confirm him. 参议院别无选择 只能确认他的任命
[03:08] And if they bring up Oppenheimer? 如果他们提到奥本海默呢?
[03:11] When they bring up Oppenheimer, you answer honestly, 要是他们提到奥本海默 你就如实回答
[03:13] no senator can deny you did your duty. 没有参议员能否认你尽了自己的职责
[03:16] It’ll be uncomfortable. 确实很不舒服
[03:18] Who’d want to justify their whole life? 谁愿意公开自己的一生呢?
[03:25] Why did you leave the United States? 你为什么离开美国?
[03:30] I… I wanted to study the new physics. 我……我想学习新物理学
[03:33] Was there nowhere here? 在美国不行吗?
[03:35] I thought Berkeley had the leading theoretical physics department. 我以为伯克利大学有一流的理论物理系
[03:39] Yes, once I built it. 是的 直到我创建它
[03:42] But first I had to go to Europe. 但我得先去欧洲
[03:43] I went to Cambridge, to study under Patrick Blackett. 我去了剑桥 跟随帕特里克·布莱克特学习
[03:46] Were you happier there than in America? 你在那里比在美国更快乐吗?
[03:49] -Happier? -Yes. -更快乐? -是的
[03:55] No. 不
[03:57] No, I, uh… 不 我 呃……
[04:01] I was homesick and… 我想家了 而且……
[04:04] emotionally immature… 情感很不成熟……
[04:07] Troubled by visions of a… 被隐藏宇宙的……
[04:10] hidden universe. 幻象所折磨
[04:24] Useless in the lab. 做实验笨手笨脚
[04:30] Christ, Oppenheimer. 天啊 奥本海默
[04:32] Have you had any sleep? 没睡好觉吗?
[04:36] Start again. 再来
[04:38] I need to go to a lecture, sir. 我要去听讲座 先生
[04:40] Why? 为什么?
[04:41] It’s Niels Bohr. 是尼尔斯·玻尔
[04:46] I completely forgot. 我完全忘了
[04:48] Alright! Let’s go. 好了 我们走
[04:52] Oh no, not you, Oppenheimer. 不 不是说你 奥本海默
[04:54] You finish coating those plates. 你得把这些盘子收好
[05:36] Quantum physics is not a step forward. 量子物理学不是向前迈出的一步
[05:40] It is a new way to understand reality. 而是一种理解现实的新方法
[05:43] Einstein’s opened the door. 爱因斯坦打开了门
[05:45] Now we are peering through, seeing a world inside our world, 透过它 我们现在看到了一个我们世界里的世界
[05:50] a world of energy and paradox that not everyone can accept. 一个充满能量和矛盾的世界 不是每个人都能接受的
[06:39] You alright? 你没事吧?
[06:41] Nils, meet J. Robert Oppenheimer. 尼尔斯 这位是J·罗伯特·奥本海默
[06:43] What’s the J stand for? J代表什么?
[06:45] Nothing, apparently. 什么也没有
[06:46] You were at my lecture. You asked the only good question. 你听了我的讲座 问了唯一一个好问题
[06:49] No one’s denying his insight. 没人否认他的洞察力
[06:51] It’s his laboratory work that leaves a little to be desired. 但他做实验有点不尽如人意
[06:54] I heard you give the same answer… 我听了你同样的回答……
[06:55] At Harvard, yes, and you asked the same question. 在哈佛 是的 你问了同样的问题
[06:58] Why ask again? 为什么又问?
[06:59] I hadn’t liked your answer. 我不喜欢你的回答
[07:02] -Did you like it better yesterday? -A lot. -你比较喜欢昨天的? -好多了
[07:05] You can lift a stone without being ready for the snake that’s revealed. 在你准备好对付蛇之前 千万不要搬开大石头
[07:10] Now it seems you’re ready. 现在看来你已经准备好了
[07:12] But you don’t enjoy the lab. 但你不喜欢实验室
[07:14] So get out of Cambridge, with its beakers and potions. 所以离开剑桥的瓶瓶罐罐吧
[07:17] Go somewhere they’ll let you think. 去一个能让你思考的地方
[07:21] Where? 去哪好?
[07:23] -Göttingen. -Born. -哥廷根 -波恩
[07:25] Born. 对 波恩
[07:26] Get to Germany, study under Max Born, learn the ways of theory. 去德国 投入马克斯·玻恩门下 学习理论物理学
[07:31] I’ll send word. 我为你写推荐信
[07:33] Worm hole. 有虫子
[07:36] How’s your mathematics? 你的数学怎么样?
[07:37] Not good enough for the physicist he wants to be. 如果他想成为物理学家 可能还不够好
[07:40] Algebra’s like sheet music, 代数就像音乐
[07:42] the important thing isn’t can you read music, it’s can you hear it. 重要的不是读懂音乐 而是能听见音乐
[07:46] Can you hear the music, Robert? 你能听见音乐吗 罗伯特?
[07:49] Yes, I can. 我可以
[08:27] 艾略特 《荒原》(1922)
[08:38] 毕加索 《交叉双臂坐着的女人》
[08:49] 斯特拉文斯基 《春之祭》(1913)
[09:27] The senator from Wyoming. 有请怀俄明州参议员
[09:29] Admiral Strauss, I’m interested in your relationship 施特劳斯将军 我对你和罗伯特·奥本海默博士的关系
[09:32] with Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer. 很感兴趣
[09:34] You met him in 1947. 你在1947年认识他
[09:37] Correct. 没错
[09:38] You were a commissioner of the Atomic Energy Commission. 你曾担任原子能委员会委员
[09:41] I was, but I actually met Robert in my capacity 是的 但其实我是以普林斯顿高等研究院
[09:44] as board member of the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton. It was… 董事会成员的身份认识罗伯特的 战后……
[09:49] after the war, he was world-renowned as the great man of physics, 他被誉为世界著名的物理学大师
[09:52] and I was determined to get him to run the Institute. 我决定让他来管理这个研究所
[10:06] Dr. Oppenheimer. An honor. 奥本海默博士 很荣幸见到你
[10:09] Mr. Strauss. 施特斯先生
[10:10] It’s pronounced “Strauss”. 念作“施特劳斯”
[10:13] “Oppenheimer”, “Oppenheimer”… 奥本海姆 奥本海默……
[10:14] Either way you say it, they know I’m Jewish. 不管你怎么读 他们都知道我是犹太人
[10:17] I’m president of Temple Emanu-El in Manhattan. 我是曼哈顿的以马内利会堂的主席
[10:20] “Strauss” is just a Southern pronunciation. “施特劳斯”是南方发音
[10:23] Anyway, welcome to the Institute. I think you’ll be very happy here. 总之 欢迎来到研究所 我想你在这里会很开心的
[10:27] Yes, well, you’ll love the commute. 对了 通勤很方便 你会喜欢的
[10:29] The position comes with that house for you and your wife, 那橦房子就是为你入职后和你妻子准备的
[10:31] and your… is it two children? 还有你的……是两个孩子吧?
[10:33] Yes, two. 对 两个
[10:35] I’m a great admirer of your work. 我很欣赏你的工作
[10:38] You’re a physicist by training, Mr. Strauss? 你是受过正规学习的物理学家吗 施特劳斯先生?
[10:40] I’m sorry, uh, common room, four o’clock tea. 抱歉 这里是公共休息室 四点钟准时提供茶点
[10:42] No, I’m not trained in physics or anything else. 不 我没有物理或其他方面的证书
[10:45] I’m a self-made man. 我是自学成材的
[10:46] Ah, I can relate to that. 啊 我能理解
[10:48] -Really? -Yes, my father was one. -真的? -是的 我父亲就是这样一个人
[10:52] And this would be your office. 这将是你的办公室
[11:04] I’m told he’s there in most afternoons. 我听说他大多数下午都在那里
[11:06] You know, I’ve always wondered 我想说 我一直很好奇
[11:08] why you didn’t involve him in the Manhattan Project. 你为什么不让他参与曼哈顿计划
[11:13] Greatest scientific mind of our time. 他是我们时代最伟大的科学家
[11:15] Of his time. 是他的时代
[11:17] Einstein published his Theory of Relativity 爱因斯坦发表相对论
[11:20] more than 40 years ago now. 已经过去40多年了
[11:23] Could never embrace the quantum world it revealed. 他永远不能接受已经揭示的量子世界
[11:26] “God doesn’t play dice.” “上帝不会掷骰子”
[11:28] Precisely. 正是如此
[11:30] You never thought of studying physics formally, Mr. Strauss? 施特劳斯先生 你从没想过正式学习物理吗?
[11:32] I had offers, but… I chose to sell shoes. 有人曾建议 但是……我选择卖鞋
[11:35] Lewis Strauss was once a lowly shoe salesman. 谁能想到刘易斯·施特劳斯曾经是个卖鞋的
[11:39] No, just a shoe salesman. 对 鞋子销售员
[11:45] -I’d love to introduce you. -No need. -我很乐意为你引见 -不必
[11:48] I’ve known him for years. 我认识他很多年了
[12:12] Albert. 阿尔伯特
[12:18] What was that? What did you say to him? 怎么回事? 你对他说什么了?
[12:24] Oh, he’s fine. 噢 没什么
[12:27] Mr. Strauss, there are… things in my past you ought to be aware of. 施特劳斯先生 我过去……有些事你应该知道的
[12:32] Well, as chairman of the AEC, 噢 身为原子能委员会主席
[12:33] I have access to your security file. I’ve read it. 我有权查阅你的安全档案
[12:36] -You’re not worried? -No. -你不担心吗? -不
[12:38] Why would I be worried, after everything you’ve done for your country? 你为国家付出这么多 我有什么好担心的?
[12:40] Well, times change, Mr. Strauss. 嗯 时代变了 施特劳斯先生
[12:42] Well, the purpose of this institute 这个研究所的目的
[12:44] is to provide a haven for independent minds. 是为独立思想提供避风港
[12:47] That’s you. 就是你
[12:49] You are the man for the job. 你是这项工作的最佳人选
[12:51] Well, then I’ll consider it. 好的 我会考虑的
[12:53] I’ll see you at the AEC meeting tomorrow. 明天原子能委员会会议上见
[13:00] This is one of the most prestigious appointments in the country. 这是这个国家最受尊重的职位之一
[13:03] Yes, and a great commute. 是的 通勤也很棒
[13:05] That’s why I’m considering it. 所以我还在考虑
[13:08] So Dr. Oppenheimer brought your attention to his past associations 那么奥本海默博士有没有让你注意到他过去的事情
[13:12] before you appointed him? 在你任命他之前?
[13:14] Yes. 有的
[13:15] And they didn’t concern you? 你不担心吗?
[13:16] Just then I was entirely consumed with what he must have said 当时 我满脑子都在想他究竟说了什么
[13:19] to Einstein to sour him on me. 让爱因斯坦对我大发雷霆
[13:25] But later? 那之后呢?
[13:27] Well, we all know what happened later. 后来的事人人都知道了
[13:29] Doctor, your time in Europe, 博士 你在欧洲的那段时间
[13:31] you seem to meet with a wide range of other countries’ physicists. 似乎结识了很多其他国家的物理学家
[13:34] Yes, that’s right. 是的 没错
[13:35] Any Russians? 有俄国人吗?
[13:39] None that spring to mind. If you’ll just allow me 一时想不起 如果你允许的话
[13:41] to continue with my statement… -Mr. Robb, 我想先继续我的陈述…… -罗博先生
[13:43] you’ll have ample opportunity to cross-examine. 你会有足够的机会进行交叉询问的
[13:49] After Göttingen, I moved on to Leiden, in Holland, where I first met Isidor Rabi. 哥廷根之后 我去了荷兰的莱顿 在那里我第一次见到伊西多·拉比
[13:54] Excuse me. 不好意思
[14:00] A yank. Lecturing on the new physics. 一个美国佬 开讲新物理学
[14:03] This I have to hear. 这我必须听听
[14:04] I’m an American myself. 我也是美国人
[14:06] How surprising. 真令人惊讶
[14:08] Let me know if you need any help with the English.
[14:25] Wait, what’s he saying? 等等 他说什么?
[14:38] No, thank you. 不用 谢谢
[14:39] It’s a long way to Zurich. 去苏黎世还有很长的路
[14:41] If you get any skinnier, we’re gonna lose you between the seat cushions. 如果你再瘦一点 可能就掉进座垫之间找不着了
[14:44] -I’m Rabi. -Oppenheimer. -我是拉比 -奥本海默
[14:46] I caught your lecture on molecules. 我听了你关于分子的讲座
[14:49] Caught some of it. 受益匪浅
[14:51] We’re a couple of New York Jews, how do you know Dutch? 我们都是纽约犹太人 你怎么会荷兰语的?
[14:53] Well, I thought I’d better learn it when I got here this semester. 即然这学期要来这里 我觉得最好还是学一下
[14:56] You learned enough Dutch in six weeks to give a lecture on quantum mechanics? 你在六周内就学会了荷兰语来做一个量子力学的讲座吗?
[15:00] I like to challenge myself. 我喜欢挑战自我
[15:01] Quantum physics wasn’t challenging enough. 量子物理学还不够有挑战性
[15:03] -Shvitzer? -Shvitzer. -凡尔赛(意第绪语) -凡尔赛?
[15:05] Show-off. 炫耀
[15:07] Dutch in six weeks, but you never learned Yiddish. 六个星期就学会了荷兰语 但你从来没学过意第绪语
[15:09] They don’t speak it so much my side of the park. 我那边的人不怎么说意第绪语
[15:11] Screw you. 去你的
[15:13] -You homesick? -Oh, you know it. -想家吗? -哦 你知道的
[15:17] Ever get the feeling our kind isn’t entirely welcome here? 有没有觉得我们这种人在这里不受欢迎?
[15:20] Physicists? 物理学家?
[15:22] -That’s funny. -Not in the department. -不开玩笑 -没有区别
[15:25] They’re all Jewish, too. 物理学家都是犹太人
[15:28] Eat. 吃吧
[15:32] There’s this German you have to seek out. 你得去找一个德国人
[15:35] -Heisenberg. -Right. -海森堡 -对
[15:47] One might be led to the presumption that behind the quantum world 人们可能会推测 在量子世界背后
[15:51] there still hides a real world in which causality holds, 仍然隐藏着一个存在因果关系的真实世界
[15:54] but such speculations seem to us, to say it explicitly, fruitless. 但是这样的推测在我们看来 明确地说 是徒劳的
[15:59] Thank you. Have a great day. 谢谢 祝大家愉快
[16:06] -Wonderful. -Thank you. -很捧 -谢谢
[16:08] -Dr. Oppenheimer. -Oppenheimer, yes! -奥本海默博士 -奥本海默 是你!
[16:11] I liked your paper on molecules. 我喜欢你关于分子的论文
[16:13] Probably because you inspired it. 可能是因为你启发了它
[16:14] If I inspire anything else, let me know. We could publish together. 如果我启发了什么灵感 告诉我 我们可以一起做论文
[16:17] -I have to get back to America. -Why? -我必须回美国了 -为什么?
[16:20] There’s no one there taking quantum mechanics seriously. 那里没人把量子力学当回事
[16:23] That’s exactly why. 这就是原因
[16:25] He’s pining for the canyons of Manhattan. 他心系曼哈顿的峡谷
[16:27] Canyons of New Mexico. 新墨西哥州的峡谷
[16:30] -You’re from New Mexico? -No, New York. 你从新墨西哥州来? 不 纽约
[16:31] But my brother and I have a ranch outside Santa Fe. 但我弟弟和我在圣达菲郊外有个农场
[16:35] That’s the America I miss right now. 那才是我魂牵梦萦的美国
[16:37] Then it’s best you get home, cowboys. 那你们最好赶紧回家 牛仔们
[16:40] That’s him. 那是他
[16:41] No, me and horses? 不 我和马?
[16:43] I don’t think so. 我不这么认为
[16:45] Nice to meet you. 很高兴认识你
[16:49] Did you ever encounter Heisenberg again? 你有没有再次遇到海森堡?
[16:51] Not in person, no, but… 不是面对面 不过……
[16:55] you might say our paths crossed. 你可以说我们有过交集
[16:59] On returning to America, 回到美国后
[17:00] I accepted positions at both Caltech and up at Berkeley. 我接受了加州理工和伯克利的教职
[17:27] Dr. Lawrence, I presume? 劳伦斯博士 是吧?
[17:31] You must be Oppenheimer. 你一定是奥本海默
[17:33] Yes. 是的
[17:34] I hear you want to start a school of quantum theory. 我听说你想开一个量子理论研讨班
[17:36] I am starting it, next door. 我要开始了 在隔壁
[17:38] -They put you in there? -I asked for it. -他们把你安排在这? -我申请的
[17:40] Wanted to be close to you experimentalists. 想接近你们这些实验物理学家
[17:42] Theory will get you only so far. 理论总是灰色的
[17:44] We’re building a machine to accelerate electrons. 我们正在建造一台电子加速器
[17:47] Magnificent. 太神奇了
[17:48] Would you like to help? 你愿意帮忙吗?
[17:49] Build it? Oh, no. No, no. 建造? 哦 不 不 不
[17:52] But I am working on theories I’d like to test with it. 但我正在研究一些理论 我想用它来检验一下
[17:55] When do you start teaching? 你什么时候开始教书?
[17:56] I’ve got my first in an hour. 一个小时后就开始第一个
[17:58] -Seminar? -Pupil. -研讨会? -学生
[18:00] One student? That’s it? 一个学生? 就一个?
[18:03] I’m teaching something no one here has dreamt of. 我在教一些这里没有人梦想过的东西
[18:05] But once people start hearing what you can do with it… 但一旦人们开始听说你能用它做什么……
[18:07] There’s no going back. 就回不去了
[18:11] -Oh, I must have missed the… -Mr. Lomanitz? -哦 我一定走错…… -洛马尼茨先生?
[18:17] -Yeah. -Yes, this is it. -是我 -是的 就是这里
[18:19] Please, take a seat. 请坐
[18:26] What do you know about quantum mechanics? 你对量子力学了解多少?
[18:29] I have a grasp on the basics. 只知道些皮毛
[18:30] Then you’re doing it wrong. 那你就错了
[18:33] Is life made up of particles or waves? 生命是由粒子还是波组成的?
[18:35] Quantum mechanics says it’s both. How can it be both? 量子力学说两者都是 怎么可能两者都是?
[18:38] -It can’t. -不可能 -不可能 -It can’t.
[18:40] But it is. 但事实如此
[18:41] It’s paradoxical, and yet, it works. 这是矛盾的 但是 很有用
[18:55] Thank you. 谢谢
[18:57] Mr. Lomanitz. You’re gonna be okay. 洛马尼茨先生 你会没事的
[19:00] Mr. Snyder. 斯奈德先生
[19:01] Now, let’s consider a star. 现在 让我们谈一谈星星
[19:04] A star, a vast furnace burning in outer space, 一颗恒星 就像一个在外太空燃烧的巨大熔炉
[19:07] fire pushing outwards against its own gravity, balanced. 火焰克服自身重力向外推进 保持平衡
[19:12] But if that furnace cools, 但一旦炉子冷却了
[19:14] and gravity starts winning, it contracts. 重力开始占上风 它就会收缩
[19:17] -Density increases. -Correct. -密度增加 -正确
[19:20] -Increasing gravity. -Increasing density. -重力增加 -密度增加
[19:23] -And? -It’s a vicious cycle until… -然后呢? -这是一个恶性循环 直到……
[19:25] What’s the limit here? 循环的尽头是什么?
[19:28] I don’t know. See where the math takes us. 我不知道 看看数学怎么说
[19:30] I guarantee it’s somewhere no one’s been before us. 我保证那是我们之前没人去过的地方
[19:32] Me? 我?
[19:34] Yes, you. Your math is better than mine. 是的 你 你的数学比我好
[19:38] Dr. Oppenheimer’s file contained details 在奥本海默博士的档案里
[19:41] of his activities at Berkeley. 有他在伯克利活动的详细信息
[19:42] Why would they have started a file on Dr. Oppenheimer before the war? 为什么他们会在战前就开始调查奥本海默博士?
[19:47] Well, you’d have to ask Mr. Hoover. 那你得问胡佛先生了
[19:49] I’m asking you, Admiral Strauss. 我在问你 施特劳斯将军
[19:52] Uh, my assumption 嗯 我猜测
[19:53] is that it was connected to his, uh, 是和他的 呃
[19:57] left-wing political activities. 左翼政治活动有关
[20:01] You shouldn’t let them bring their politics in the classroom, Oppie. 你不应该让他们在课堂上谈论政治 奥比
[20:05] I wrote that. 这是我写的
[20:06] Lawrence, you embraced the revolution in physics. 劳伦斯 你接受物理学上的革命
[20:09] Can’t you see it everywhere else? 其他方面的革命你看不到吗?
[20:11] Picasso, Stravinsky, Freud, Marx. 毕加索 斯特拉文斯基 弗洛伊德 马克思
[20:13] Well, this is America, Oppie. We had our revolution. 这里是美国 我们有自己的革命
[20:17] Seriously, keep it out of the lab. 说真的 别带它进实验室
[20:20] Well, out of the lab 好吧 出了实验室
[20:22] my landlady is having a discussion group tonight. 我的女房东今晚有个讨论会
[20:25] Interested? 有兴趣吗?
[20:26] I have sampled the Berkeley political scene. 我参加过一些伯克利的政治聚会
[20:28] It’s all just philosophy post-grads and communists talking integration. 都是些哲学研究生和共产主义者在高谈阔论团结
[20:32] You don’t care about integration? 你不在乎团结吗?
[20:34] I want to vote for it, not talk about it. 我想投票赞成 不想谈论它
[20:36] Especially on a Friday. Come on, let’s eat. 特别是在星期五 来吧 我们吃饭
[20:38] I’m meeting my brother there. 我要去那里见我弟弟
[20:40] And how would these activities have come to the attention of the FBI? 这些活动怎么会引起联邦调查局的注意?
[20:44] Well, if I remember correctly, 如果我没记错的话
[20:46] the FBI was taking license plates outside suspected communist gatherings, 联邦调查局在可疑的共产主义集会外拍摄车牌
[20:50] and his name popped up. 然后他的名字出现了
[21:00] -Jesus Christ! -Sorry. -吓我一跳! -对不起
[21:02] Frank! 弗兰克!
[21:05] -Uh, you remember Jackie? -Evening. -还记得杰姬吗? -晚上好
[21:14] Robert! I want you to meet Chevalier. 罗伯特! 我想让你见见舍瓦利耶
[21:17] Dr. Haakon Chevalier, Dr. Robert Oppenheimer. 哈康·舍瓦利耶博士 罗伯特·奥本海默博士
[21:20] -Pleasure. -幸会 -幸会 -Pleasure.
[21:21] This is my little brother, Frank. 这是我弟弟 弗兰克
[21:23] -And this is… -Still Jackie. -这位是…… -斯蒂尔·杰姬
[21:25] Hello, Still Jackie. 你好 斯蒂尔·杰姬
[21:26] -Chevalier, you’re in languages? -And your reputation precedes you. -舍瓦利耶 你是语言学家? -而你 久仰大名
[21:30] What have you heard? 你听说了什么?
[21:31] That you’re teaching a radical new approach to physics 你在教授一种全新的物理学
[21:33] I have no chance of understanding, but I haven’t heard you’re a party member. 我无法理解 听说你还不是党员
[21:37] -Uh, I’m not. -Oh, not yet. -我没有入党 -是 还没有入党
[21:38] Frank and I are thinking of joining. 弗兰克和我想入党
[21:40] -Just the other day I was saying… -I support a range of causes. -前几天我还在说…… -我支持许多事业
[21:42] Spanish Civil War? 西班牙内战?
[21:44] A democratic republic being overthrown by fascist thugs. 一个被法西斯暴徒推翻的民主共和国
[21:47] -Who wouldn’t? -Our government. -谁不支持呢? -我们的政府
[21:48] They think that socialism is a bigger threat than fascism. 他们认为社会主义比法西斯主义更具威胁性
[21:51] Not for long. Look at what the Nazis are doing to the Jews. 不会太久的 看看纳粹是怎么对待犹太人的
[21:53] I send funds to colleagues in Germany to emigrate. 我有捐钱给德国的同行 资助他们移民
[21:56] I have to do something. 我得做点什么
[21:59] My own work is so… abstract. 我自己的工作太……抽象了
[22:02] What are you working on? 你在忙什么呢?
[22:03] What happens to stars when they die? 星星死后会发生什么?
[22:05] Do stars die? 星星会死吗?
[22:08] Well, if they do, they’d cool, then collapse. 嗯 这么说 它们会冷却 然后坍塌
[22:11] In fact, the bigger the star, 事实上 星星越大
[22:14] the more violent its demise. 它的灭亡就越激烈
[22:16] Their gravity gets so concentrated, it swallows everything. 它们的引力非常集中 吞噬了一切
[22:20] Everything, even light. 一切 包括光线
[22:22] -Can that really happen? -The math says it can. -真的会这样吗? -数学表明可以
[22:25] If we can get published, then perhaps one day an astronomer finds one. 如果我们能出版 也许哪天天文学家能发现一颗
[22:28] But right now, all I have is theory, 但现在 我只有理论
[22:30] which can’t impact people’s lives. 不会影响人们的生活
[22:32] Well, if you’re going to send money to Spain, 如果你要往西班牙捐钱
[22:34] do it through the Communist Party. 通过共产党做这件事
[22:36] They can get it to the front lines. 他们可以直接送钱到前线
[22:37] Mary sent me with these. 玛丽让我送来的
[22:40] -I’m Jean. -Robert. -我叫琼 -罗伯特
[22:43] Haakon Chevalier. That union meeting at Serber’s last month. 哈康·舍瓦利耶 上个月在塞伯尔的工会会议
[22:46] Right, right, yes. 对 对 是的
[22:48] Oh, thank you. 哦 谢谢
[22:49] Robert here says he’s not a communist. 罗伯特说他不是共产党员
[22:51] Well, then he doesn’t know enough about it. 那是他还不够了解共产党
[22:54] Oh, I’ve read Das Kapital, all three volumes. 噢 我读过《资本论》全部三卷
[22:56] Does that count? 这算吗?
[22:57] It would make you better-read than most party members. 这只能证明你比大多数党员更博览群书
[22:59] Turgid stuff. There’s some thinking, um… 枯燥乏味 有一些想法 嗯……
[23:02] “Ownership is theft.” “所有权就是盗窃”
[23:03] -Property. -Property? -财产 -财产?
[23:05] Property, not ownership. 是财产 不是所有权
[23:07] I’m sorry, I read it in the original German. 抱歉 我读的是德文原版
[23:12] It’s not about the book. It’s about the ideas. 这与书无关 关乎每个人的理解
[23:15] And you sound uncommitted. 你的不一定准确
[23:17] I’m committed to thinking freely about how to improve our world. 我致力于自由思考如何改善我们的世界
[23:21] Why limit yourself to one dogma? 为什么要把自己限制在一个教条之内?
[23:23] You’re a physicist. Do you pick and choose rules? 你是个物理学家 你会选择规矩吗?
[23:26] Or do you use the discipline to channel your energies into progress? 或者你用纪律来引导你的能量取得进步?
[23:30] I like a little wiggle room. 我喜欢多一点自由
[23:33] Do you always toe the party line? 你总是遵守党的路线吗?
[23:37] I like my wiggle room, too. 我也喜欢多一点自由
[23:50] What? 怎么了?
[23:52] Wait, wait, wait. 等等 等等
[23:57] Unexpected. 出乎意料
[23:58] What? 什么?
[23:59] For a physicist. 对一个物理学家来说
[24:01] You only have a shelf full of Freud? 你书架上只有弗洛伊德的书吗?
[24:03] -Well, actually, my background’s more… -Jungian? -事实上 我的学术背景是…… -荣格?
[24:09] You know analysis? 你懂精神分析学?
[24:10] When I was in post-grad at Cambridge, I had a little trouble. 当我在剑桥读研究生时 遇到一点小麻烦
[24:15] -I’ll bite. -I tried to poison my tutor. -有意思 -我想毒死我的导师
[24:17] -Did you hate him? -I liked him very much. -你恨他吗? -我很喜欢他
[24:20] You just needed to get laid. 你只是需要滚床单
[24:22] It took my analysts two years, 我的精神分析师花了两年时间
[24:23] and I don’t think they ever put it that succinctly. 我觉得他们从来没有像你说得那么简洁
[24:26] You have everyone convinced you’re more complicated than you actually are. 你让所有人都相信你比实际上更复杂
[24:29] We’re all simple souls, I guess. 我想我们的灵魂都是单纯的
[24:32] I’m not. 我不是
[24:36] What’s this? 这是什么?
[24:37] Sanskrit. 梵文
[24:38] You can read this? 你能看懂这个?
[24:40] I’m learning. 正在学
[24:46] Read this. 念给我听
[24:49] Well, in this part, 嗯 这一段说的是
[24:51] -Vishnu reveals his multi-armed self… -No. -毗湿奴展示了他千臂的自我…… -不
[24:55] Read the words. 读文字
[25:00] “And now I am become Death… “现在我成了死神……
[25:09] “destroyer of worlds.” “世界的毁灭者”
[25:41] This’ll do. 就这吧
[25:49] It’ll break before dawn. 天亮前会好的
[25:50] Air cools overnight. 冷空气持续一整夜
[25:52] Just before dawn, it breaks. 当黎明到来 就会转晴
[26:04] Well, so, I’m getting married. 听我说 我要结婚了
[26:08] -Frank! congratulations! -Thank you, thank you. 法兰克! 恭喜你! 谢谢 谢谢
[26:11] -To Jackie? -Yeah, to Jackie. -和杰姬? -对 杰姬
[26:14] -The waitress? -Oppie, you’re right. It’s letting up. -那个服务员? -奥比 你说得对 暖和些了
[26:17] I’m gonna go see if there’s any stars. 我去看看有没有星星
[26:19] All your talk about the common man, but Jackie’s not good enough for you, hmm? 你口口声声普通人 却嫌杰姬不好 对吧?
[26:24] We joined the party, and you can’t hide your disappointment. 我们加入共产党 你无法掩饰你的失望
[26:26] Why? Is that because that’s supposed to be your thing? 为什么? 是因为我们抢在你前头吗?
[26:29] I haven’t joined the party, Frank. 我没加入共产党 弗兰克
[26:30] And I don’t think she should have convinced you to either. 我觉得她也不应该说服你
[26:33] -Half of the faculty is communist. -Not that half. -一半的教员是共产主义者 -我们不是那一半
[26:37] I’m your brother, Frank, and I want you to be cautious. 我是你哥哥 弗兰克 我希望你小心点
[26:40] And I want to wring your neck. 我想拧断你的脖子
[26:43] I won’t live my life afraid to make a mistake. 我不会生活在害怕犯错的恐惧中
[26:49] You’re happy… I’m happy. 你开心 我就开心
[26:52] So then I’m happy you’re happy that I’m happy. 所以我开心着你开心我的开心
[27:00] I feel like I can see one of those dark stars that you’re working on. 我觉得我能看到你正在研究的那些暗星
[27:03] You can’t. 看不到
[27:04] That’s the whole point. Their gravity swallows light. 这就是重点 它们的引力会吞噬光线
[27:09] It’s like a kind of hole in space. 仿佛太空中的一个洞
[27:12] Is Frank okay? 弗兰克还好吗?
[27:13] Yes. He just has a shitty brother. 是的 他只是有个糟糕的哥哥
[27:17] It is special here. 这里很特别
[27:21] When I was a kid… 我小时候
[27:24] I thought if I could find a way… 我想如果我能找到一种办法
[27:27] to combine physics and New Mexico, 把物理学和新墨西哥州结合起来
[27:31] my life would be perfect. 我的生活将会很完美
[27:35] -Little remote for that. -Yes. -遥不可及 -是啊
[27:37] Let’s get some sleep. 我们去睡觉吧
[27:40] That mesa we saw today, one of my favorite places in the world. 我们今天看到的那个平顶山 是我最喜欢的地方之一
[27:44] -Tomorrow we’ll climb it. -What’s it called? -明天我们爬上去 -叫什么?
[27:48] Los Alamos. 洛斯阿拉莫斯
[27:54] I didn’t expect to see you today. 我今天没准备好见你
[27:57] Do I have to make an appointment? 见你还需要预约么?
[28:03] Alvarez? 阿尔瓦雷茨?
[28:10] Oppie! Oppie! 奥比! 奥比!
[28:12] What? What is it? 怎么了?出什么事了
[28:14] They’ve done it. 他们做到了
[28:16] They’ve done it. Hahn and Strassmann in Germany. 他们做到了 哈恩和斯特拉斯曼 在德国
[28:17] They split the uranium nucleus. 他们分裂了铀原子核
[28:21] How? 怎么做?
[28:23] Bombard it with neutrons. 用中子轰击它
[28:25] It’s a nuclear fission. 这是核裂变
[28:27] They did it. They split the atom. 他们做到了 他们分裂了原子
[28:28] That’s not possible. 这不可能
[28:35] I’m gonna try to reproduce it. 我试试重现它
[28:44] See? Can’t be done. 看到没 做不到
[28:47] Very elegant. 很优雅
[28:49] Quite clear. 很清晰
[28:50] There’s just one problem. 只有一个问题
[28:52] Where? 哪儿?
[28:53] Next door. 隔壁
[28:55] Alvarez did it. 阿尔瓦雷茨做到了
[28:57] And look. 看
[28:59] These fission pulses, they’re massive. 这些裂变脉冲 非常巨大
[29:02] I’ve seen 30 of these in the past ten minutes. 过去十分钟我已经看30个了
[29:06] Theory will take you only so far. 理论总是灰色的
[29:10] During the process… 在这个过程中……
[29:13] extra neutrons boil off, which could be used 额外的中子蒸发掉 可以用来
[29:15] to split other uranium atoms. 分裂其他铀原子
[29:17] Chain reaction. 产生连锁反应
[29:19] You’re thinking what I’m thinking. 你和我想的一样
[29:20] You, me, and every other physicist around the world who’s seen the news. 你 我 还有世界上所有看到新闻的物理学家
[29:25] I just… what, what are we all thinking? 我刚刚……等等 我们是不是想到一块了?
[29:28] A bomb, Alvarez. 原子弹 阿尔瓦雷茨
[29:32] A bomb. 原子弹
[29:34] I told you, Robert, no more fucking flowers. 我说了多少次 罗伯特 不准再送花
[29:39] -I don’t understand what you want from me. -I don’t want anything from you! -可我不知道你想要什么 -我不要你的任何东西!
[29:43] -Well, you say that, and then you call. -Well, don’t answer. -说是这么说 是你叫我来的 -别来啊
[29:48] I’ll always answer. 你叫了 我就永远会来
[29:55] Fine. 好吧
[29:56] Just no more flowers. 就是别再送花了
[29:59] You’re not coming? 你不去聚会了么?
[30:03] You have to know when you’re beaten, Robert. 人生不如意事十之八九 罗伯特
[30:07] It’s not that simple, Haak. 没那么简单 哈克
[30:09] Chevalier, good to see you. Barbara, good to see you. 舍瓦利耶 很高兴见到你 芭芭拉 很高兴见到你
[30:12] And the illustrious Dr. Oppenheimer. 还有杰出的奥本海默博士
[30:15] -I’m Eltenton. -Oh, pleasure. -我是埃尔坦登 -哦 幸会
[30:17] Please, please. 幸会 幸会
[30:18] Why don’t you say a word about organized labor on campuses? 你为什么不谈谈校园劳工组织呢?
[30:21] Yes? Coming through, coming through! 对吧? 借过 借过!
[30:23] I work at Shell. 我在壳牌公司工作
[30:24] We’ve signed up chemists, we’ve signed up engineers. 我们雇了化学家 我们雇了工程师
[30:27] So why not sciences and academia? 那么为什么科学界和学术界没有呢?
[30:29] Oppie! Oppie! Oppie! Oppie! 奥比! 奥比! 奥比! 奥比!
[30:43] Teachers are unionized. 教师都组织工会了
[30:45] Why not professors? 教授为什么还没有?
[30:47] Don’t you have somewhere to be? 你不是还有事吗?
[30:48] Lawrence, academics have rights too. 劳伦斯 学者也有权利
[30:50] Look, it’s not that. I’ve got a group coming. 听着 不是那样的 我有一群人要来
[30:53] -Oh. I’ll sit in. -Not this one. -哦 我会参加的 -这个不行
[31:02] Richard, Dr. Bush. 理查德 布什博士
[31:04] What brings you two up north? 什么风把你们吹到北方来了?
[31:15] Richard, you tell Ruth I’ll be down in Pasadena Thursday. 理查德 你告诉鲁丝我周四会去帕萨迪纳
[31:28] Paper on black holes, it’s in! 黑洞论文 新鲜出炉!
[31:32] Where’s Hartland? 哈特兰在哪?
[31:33] Get Hartland. Get Hartland. 快找哈特兰 快找哈特兰
[31:36] September 1st, 1939? The world’s gonna remember this day. 1939年9月1日? 全世界会永远记住这一天
[31:41] Oh, Hartland, our paper, it’s in print. 噢 哈特兰 我们的论文出版了
[31:43] You’ve been upstaged. 我们被人抢了头条
[31:48] During the Battle of Britain, I found myself 在不列颠之战中 我发现自己
[31:51] increasingly out of sympathy with the… 越来越不同情……
[31:54] policy of neutrality that communists advocated. 共产党主张的中立政策
[31:57] But after Hitler invaded Russia and we became allies, 但在希特勒入侵俄国 我们成为盟友之后
[32:00] these communist sympathies, do they return? 你的共产主义者的同情心 又回来了吗?
[32:03] No. 没有
[32:05] I need to make clear that my changing views on Russia 我需要澄清的是 我改变对俄国的看法
[32:09] did not mean a sharp break from those who held different views. 并不意味着与那些持不同观点的人彻底决裂
[32:12] For a year or two during a previous marriage, 在上一段婚姻中的一两年里
[32:15] my wife Kitty had been a Communist Party member. 我的妻子凯蒂曾是共产党员
[32:23] This is where I keep the good stuff. 这是我放好东西的地方
[32:24] Well, I thought this was the Tolmans’ house. 我以为这是托尔曼的家
[32:26] I live with them while I’m at Caltech. 我在加州理工的时候和他们住在一起
[32:28] Do you two need anything? 你们两个需要什么吗?
[32:29] We’re good, Ruthie. 我们没事 鲁丝
[32:32] So, you’re a biologist. 你是个生物学家
[32:35] Well, somehow I have graduated to housewife. 你不说我都忘了 我现在是家庭主妇
[32:39] Can you explain quantum mechanics to me? 你能给我解释一下量子力学吗?
[32:41] -Seems baffling. -Yes, it is. -似乎很深奥 -是的 没错
[32:45] Well, this glass, 嗯 这个杯子
[32:48] this drink… this countertop… 这杯酒……这个台面……
[32:52] Our bodies. 我们的身体
[32:55] All of it. 所有这些
[32:57] It’s mostly empty space. 大部分都是空的
[32:59] Groupings of tiny energy waves bound together. 成群的微小能量波聚集在一起
[33:03] By what? 通过什么?
[33:04] Forces of attraction strong enough to convince us 强大的吸引力足以让我们相信
[33:08] that matter is solid. 物质是固体
[33:10] Stop my body passing through yours. 阻止我的身体穿过你的身体
[33:25] You’re married to Dr. Harrison. 你嫁给了哈里森博士
[33:27] Not very. 还是说你吧
[33:30] There is someone that I feel… 有一个人 我感觉……
[33:34] Does she feel that way? 她也有那种感觉吗?
[33:35] Sometimes. 有时候吧
[33:38] Not enough. 还不够
[33:40] You know, I’m going to New Mexico. 知道吗 我要去新墨西哥州
[33:43] To my ranch, with friends. 去我的牧场 和朋友们一起
[33:45] You should come. 你应该来
[33:47] I meant, with your husband. 我是说 和你丈夫
[33:49] Yes, you did. 是的 没错
[33:50] Because you know it won’t make a bit of difference. 你知道的 他来不来没什么区别
[33:57] Why did you marry him? 你为什么嫁给他?
[33:59] I was lost, and… he was kind. 我迷失了 而且 他对我很好
[34:05] Lost? 迷失?
[34:06] Well, my previous husband had died, and… 我的前夫去世时
[34:09] at 28, I wasn’t really ready to be a widow. 我才28岁 还没准备好做寡妇
[34:12] -Who was your first husband? -Nobody. -你的第一任丈夫是谁? -不值一提
[34:14] My second husband was Joe Dallet. 我的第二任丈夫是乔·达莱特
[34:16] He was from money, like me, 他和我一样出身富贵
[34:18] but he was a union organizer in Youngstown, Ohio. 但他是俄亥俄州扬斯敦的工会组织者
[34:22] I fell hard. 我一下跌入谷底
[34:24] -How hard? -Hard enough to spend the next four years -有多谷底? -足以让你在接下来的四年里
[34:26] living off beans and pancakes, 靠豆子和煎饼为生
[34:28] handing out the Daily Worker at factory gates. 在工厂门口发放《工人日报》
[34:31] By ’36, I just told Joe I couldn’t take it anymore. 到了1936年 我告诉乔我再也受不了了
[34:34] Quit the party. 退出共产党
[34:35] A year later, I wanted him back. 一年后 我想让他回来
[34:36] Him, not the Daily Worker. And… 是他 不是那个社会活动家 然后
[34:39] he said: “Swell, I’ll meet you on my way to Spain.” 他说 好的 我们在去西班牙的路上见
[34:41] Went to fight for the Loyalists? 去为共和派而战?
[34:42] And then he went to the brigades and I waited. 于是他参加了国际旅 我等着
[34:44] And… 后来……
[34:47] Joe got himself killed first time he popped his head out of the trench. 乔第一次从战壕里探出头就被杀了
[34:52] Ideology got Joe killed, for nothing. 意识形态害死了乔 毫无意义
[34:54] The Spanish Republic isn’t nothing. 西班牙共和国不是一无是处
[34:56] My husband offered both our futures to stop one fascist bullet 我丈夫为了阻止一颗法西斯子弹牺牲了我们两个人的未来
[34:59] from embedding itself in a mud bank. 把自己埋在泥滩里
[35:02] That’s the definition of nothing. 这就是虚无的定义
[35:04] -Seems a little reductive. -Pragmatic. -假乎有点简化了 -实话实说
[35:08] Now here I am. 现在我在这里
[35:12] Wherever the hell this is. 不管这是哪里
[35:21] I didn’t want you to hear it from anyone else. 我不希望你从别人那里听到这个消息
[35:26] At least you didn’t bring me flowers. 至少你这次没再送花
[35:36] We both know I’m not what you want, Jean. 我们都知道我不是你想要的人 琼
[35:39] Yeah, but it’s a door closing. 但我已经没法再爱上别人了
[35:42] No. 不
[35:45] Not as far as I’m concerned, no. 对我来说 不
[35:49] You knocked her up. Fast work. 她都怀孕了 真快啊
[35:51] Can’t keep a good man down. 有志者事竟成嘛
[35:54] I meant her. 我是说她
[35:56] She knew what she wanted. 她知道自己想要什么
[35:58] What about the husband? 她丈夫呢?
[36:00] We talked. 我们谈过了
[36:01] They’re getting a divorce, 他们会离婚
[36:02] so we can get married before she starts showing. 这样我们就能赶在她大肚前结婚
[36:06] How civilized. 多绅士啊
[36:10] You idiot. 你是个傻瓜
[36:11] This is your community. 这是你的地盘
[36:14] You think the rules don’t apply to the golden boy? 你觉得这些规矩不适用于天才吗?
[36:17] Brilliance makes up for a lot. 才华能弥补很多缺点
[36:19] Don’t alienate the only people in the world that understand what you do. 别远离那些理解你的人
[36:24] One day you might need them. 有一天你会需要他们的
[36:26] F-A-E-C-T! F-A-E-C-T!
[36:29] Federation of Architects, Engineers, Chemists and Technicians. 建筑师、工程师、化学家和技术人员联合会
[36:38] 辐射实验室工会
[36:40] Lomanitz, what do you get paid a month? 洛马尼茨 你一个月的薪水是多少?
[36:42] That’s not the point, Lawrence. 这不是重点 劳伦斯
[36:43] What do any of you have in common with farm laborers and dock workers? 你们和农场工人和码头工人有什么共同点?
[36:48] Plenty. 很多
[36:51] Everybody out. Now! 所有人都出去 马上!
[36:58] Not you. 你留下
[37:05] What are you doing? 你在干什么?
[37:07] It’s a trade union. 这是工会
[37:08] -Filled with communists. -So? I haven’t joined the party. -到处都是共产党员 -那又怎样? 我还没加入呢
[37:11] They won’t let me bring you onto the project because of this shit. 因为这破事 他们不让我带你参与这个项目
[37:15] They won’t even let me tell you what the project is. 他们甚至不让我告诉你项目是什么
[37:17] Oh, I know what the project is. 我知道是什么项目
[37:19] Oh, really? 真的吗?
[37:20] We’ve all heard about Einstein and Szilard’s letter to Roosevelt 我们都听说过爱因斯坦和西拉德写给罗斯福的信
[37:23] warning him the Germans could make a bomb, 警告他德国人可能会制造原子弹
[37:25] and I know what it means for the Nazis to have a bomb. 我知道纳粹拥有原子弹意味着什么
[37:28] And I don’t? 我不知道吗?
[37:29] It’s not your people they’re herding into camps. 他们不是把你的人赶进集中营
[37:32] It’s mine. 是我的
[37:34] You think that I tell them about your politics? 你以为我会告诉他们你的政治立场吗?
[37:39] The next time you’re coming home from a meeting, 下次你开完会回家
[37:41] why don’t you take a look in the rearview mirror, 为什么不看看后视镜
[37:43] listen to the sounds on your phone line, and stop being so goddamn naive? 听听电话线上的声音 别他妈这么天真了?
[37:49] Why would they care what I do? 他们为什么要在乎我做什么?
[37:51] Because you’re not just self-important, you’re actually important. 因为你不只是自以为重要 你实际上很重要
[37:58] Okay. 好吧
[38:01] I get it. 我明白了
[38:02] If you could just be a little more… 如果你能再多一点……
[38:03] Pragmatic. I’ll talk to Lomanitz, I’ll talk to the others. 务实 我会和洛马尼茨谈谈 和其他人谈谈
[38:06] You don’t have to worry, it’s done. 你不用担心 已经结束了
[38:09] Lawrence. 劳伦斯
[38:15] Then welcome to the war. 那么欢迎参战
[38:17] I filled out my first security questionnaire and was informed 我填写了我的第一份安全问卷 并被告知
[38:20] that my involvement with left-wing groups would 我和左翼组织的关系
[38:23] not prove a bar to my working on the atomic program. 不再成为我在原子弹项目上的工作障碍
[38:26] Why were his communist associations 为什么他和共产党的关系
[38:29] not seen as a security risk during the war? 不被视为战争期间的安全隐患?
[38:32] Senator, I can’t possibly answer 参议员 我无法回答
[38:34] for security clearance granted years before I ever met the man. 在我认识他之前就已经获得安全许可了
[38:37] Fine. What about after? 好吧 那之后呢?
[38:39] After the war, Dr. Oppenheimer was 战后 奥本海默博士
[38:42] the most respected scientific voice in the world. 世界上最受尊敬的科学之声
[38:45] That’s why I asked him to run the Institute. 这就是为什么我让他管理研究所
[38:47] That’s why he advised the Atomic Energy Commission. 这就是他成为原子能委员会顾问的原因
[38:50] Simple as that. 就这么简单
[38:52] What are they accusing me of? 他们指控我什么?
[38:54] I think they just want to know what happened between 1947 and 1954 我想他们只是想知道1947年到1954年间发生了什么
[38:58] to change your mind on Oppenheimer’s security clearance. 改变你对奥本海默安全许可的看法
[39:00] I didn’t. 我没有
[39:01] I was chair of the AEC, but it wasn’t me 我是原子能委员会主席 但不是我
[39:05] that brought the charges against Robert. -Who did? 指控罗伯特 谁干的?
[39:08] Some former staff member of the Joint Congressional Committee. 国会联合委员会的一位前工作人员
[39:10] He was a rabid anti-communist named Borden. 他是个狂热的反共产主义者 名叫博登
[39:13] He wrote to the FBI demanding they take action. 他写信给联邦调查局 要求他们采取行动
[39:16] The FBI? Why not go to the AEC direct? 联邦调查局? 为什么不直接找原子能委员会?
[39:18] You’d get caught holding the knife yourself. 借刀杀人 方为上策
[39:21] What did Borden have against Oppenheimer? 博登和奥本海默有什么过节?
[39:23] This is the McCarthy era. 这是麦卡锡时代
[39:25] People hounded out of jobs for any hint of red, and… 人们为了一点点染红而被炒鱿鱼 然后
[39:30] Reading Oppenheimer’s security file, his communist brother, 我阅读了奥本海默的安全档案 他的弟弟
[39:33] sister-in-law, fiancée, best friend, wife. 弟媳 情妇 最好的朋友 妻子 都是共产党
[39:36] That’s before we even get to the Chevalier incident. 那是在我们讨论舍瓦利耶事件之前
[39:39] But how would Borden have access to Oppenheimer’s security file? 但博登是怎么拿到奥本海默的安全档案的?
[39:42] Because somebody gave it to him. 别人给他的
[39:45] Somebody who wanted Robert silenced. 有人想教罗伯特闭嘴
[39:48] Who? -Who knows? -谁? -天知道?
[39:50] Robert didn’t take care not to upset the power brokers in Washington. 罗伯特没有小心翼翼地避免惹恼华盛顿的权力掮客
[39:54] His opinions on the atom became definitive, 他成了原子弹方面的绝对权威
[39:57] and he wasn’t always patient with us mere mortals. 他对我们这些凡人并不总是有耐心
[40:03] I came in for plenty of harsh treatment. 我受到了很多粗暴的对待
[40:06] There was an AEC vote 原子能委员会进行了投票
[40:09] on the export of isotopes to Norway, 关于向挪威出口同位素
[40:12] and they drafted in Robert to make me look like a fool. 他们把罗伯特请进来就是为了让我看起来像个傻瓜
[40:14] But Dr. Oppenheimer, we’ve already heard from Admiral Strauss 但是奥本海默博士 我们已经收到了施特劳斯将军的来信
[40:18] that these isotopes could be useful to our enemies 这些同位素可能对我们的敌人有用
[40:21] in the production of atomic weapons. 在原子武器制造中
[40:22] Congressman, you could use a shovel in making atomic weapons. 议员先生 你可以用铲子来制造核武器
[40:26] In fact, you do. 真的 你可以
[40:27] You could use a bottle of beer in making atomic weapons. 你可以用一瓶啤酒来制造核武器
[40:30] In fact, you do. I’d say isotopes are 真的 你可以 我觉得同位素
[40:32] less useful than electronic components, 还不如电子元件有用
[40:35] but more useful than a sandwich. 但比三明治要强
[40:40] Genius is no guarantee of wisdom. 天才不能保证智慧
[40:43] How could this man who saw so much be so blind? 这个看到这么多的人怎么会如此盲目?
[40:55] Kitty? 凯蒂?
[41:01] Kitty? 凯蒂?
[41:04] Kitty. 凯蒂
[41:05] The project. 这个项目
[41:07] I’m in. 我加入了
[41:09] -I’m in! -Let’s celebrate. -我加入了! -让我们庆祝
[41:18] Shouldn’t you go to him? 你不该去照顾他吗?
[41:24] I have been going to him all fucking day. 我他妈的一整天都在照顾他
[41:53] I don’t know how to say this. 我不知道该怎么说
[41:56] I’m a shamed to ask. 我不好意思开口
[41:58] Anything. 什么都行
[42:00] -Take Peter. -Sure. -照顾彼得 -可以
[42:02] No, for a while, Haak. 不 只是暂时的 哈克
[42:04] A while. 一段时间
[42:08] -Does Kitty know you’re here? -Yes, of course she knows. -凯蒂知道你在这里吗? -是的 她当然知道
[42:12] Of course she knows. 她当然知道
[42:14] We’re awful people. Selfish, awful people. 我们是可怕的人 自私的可怕的人
[42:19] Forget I asked. 当我没说
[42:20] Selfish, awful people, 自私 可怕的人
[42:22] they don’t know they’re selfish and awful. 他们不知道自己很自私 很可怕
[42:25] Sit, sit, sit. 坐 坐 坐
[42:28] Robert, you see beyond the world we live in. 罗伯特 你能看到我们生活之外的世界
[42:34] There is a price to be paid for that. 这是要付出代价的
[42:36] Of course we’ll help you. 我们当然会帮助你
[42:49] Everything’s changing, Robert. 一切都变了 罗伯特
[42:51] Having a child was always going to change… 有了孩子总是会改变
[42:53] No, the world is pivoting in some new direction. 不 世界正在急速转向
[42:58] Reforming. 变革
[43:01] This is your moment. 属于你的时刻到来了
[43:04] -We’re putting together a group to study… -We shouldn’t be doing anything. -我们正在组织一个研究小组 -我们什么都做不了
[43:08] You should. 你可以
[43:10] Lawrence won’t get this done. 劳伦斯做不了
[43:12] Or Tolman or Rabi. You will. 托尔曼或者拉比也不行 但你可以
[43:23] Who are the uniforms? 这些穿军装的是什么人?
[43:26] I thought you might know. 我还以为你知道
[43:29] Dr. Oppenheimer. 奥本海默博士
[43:32] I’m Colonel Groves. This is Lieutenant Colonel Nichols. 我是格罗夫斯上校 这位是尼科尔斯中校
[43:35] Have that dry cleaned. 拿去干洗
[43:42] Well, if that’s how you treat a lieutenant colonel, 如果你就是这样对待一位中校的话
[43:45] I’d hate to see how you treat a… humble physicist. 我不敢想象你如何对待一个……普通的物理学家
[43:48] If I ever meet one, I’ll let you know. 我遇到的物理学家都不普通
[43:51] -Ouch. -Theaters of combat all over the world, -啊哈 -全世界都在打仗
[43:54] but I have to stay in Washington. 可我不得不呆在华盛顿
[43:56] -Why? -I built the Pentagon. -为什么? -我建造了五角大楼
[43:58] The brass likes it so much, 上头非常喜欢
[43:59] they made me take over the Manhattan Engineer District. 所以让我接管了曼哈顿工程区
[44:03] -Which is? -Don’t be a smartass. -那是什么? -别耍聪明
[44:06] You know damn well what it is. 你很清楚那是什么
[44:08] You and half of every physics department across the country. 你和全国一半的物理系都知道
[44:10] That’s problem number one. 那就是首要问题
[44:12] I thought problem number one would be securing enough uranium ore. 我以为首要问题是确保足够的铀矿石
[44:15] -1,200 tons, bought the day I took charge. -Processing? -1200吨 在我接管的第一天购买的 -加工?
[44:19] Just broke ground at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. 我刚刚在田纳西州橡树岭破土动工
[44:22] Now I’m looking for a project director. 现在我正在寻找一个项目主管
[44:25] And my name came up? 然后你想到了我?
[44:27] Nope. 不是的
[44:28] Even though you brought quantum physics to America, which made me curious. 尽管你把量子物理带到了美国 这引起了我对你的好奇心
[44:33] What have you found out? 你发现了什么?
[44:35] You’re a dilettante, a womanizer, a suspected communist. 你是个半吊子 花花公子 被怀疑是共产主义者
[44:39] -I’m a New Deal Democrat. -I said “suspected”. -我是新政民主党人 -我说的是“被怀疑”
[44:42] Unstable, theatrical, egotistical, neurotic. 不稳定 戏剧化 自我中心 神经质
[44:46] Nothing good, no? 没有好的吗?
[44:47] Not even “he’s brilliant, but…” 连“他很聪明,但……”都没有
[44:49] Well, brilliance is taken for granted in your circle, so no. 在你的圈子里 聪明是必须的 所以 没有
[44:52] No, the only person who had anything good to say was Richard Tolman. 只有一个人说了好话——理查德·托尔曼
[44:56] Tolman thinks you have integrity, 他认为你很正直
[44:58] but he also strikes me as a guy who knows more about science than people. 但托尔曼给我的感觉是他更了解科学,而不是人
[45:03] Yet here you are. 可你还是来了
[45:05] You don’t take much on trust. 你不太相信别人
[45:07] I don’t take anything on trust. 我不相信任何人
[45:12] Why don’t you have a Nobel Prize? 为什么你没有拿诺贝尔奖?
[45:14] -Why aren’t you a general? -They’re making me one for this. -为什么你不是将军? -也许完成项目后 会晋升我为将军
[45:16] Perhaps I’ll have the same luck. 也许我会有同样的好运
[45:18] The Nobel Prize for making a bomb? 因为制造炸弹获得诺贝尔奖?
[45:19] Alfred Nobel invented dynamite. 阿尔弗雷德·诺贝尔发明了炸药
[45:24] So how would you proceed? 那你打算怎么造?
[45:27] You’re talking about turning theory into a practical weapon system 你说的是把理论变成实用的武器系统
[45:32] faster than the Nazis. -Who have a 12-month head start. 赶在纳粹前头 -他们领先我们12个月
[45:35] -18 -How could you possibly know that? -你怎么知道的? -18.
[45:38] Our fast neutron research took six months. 我们的快中子研究花了六个月
[45:40] The man they’ve undoubtedly put in charge will have made that leap instantly. 毫无疑问 他们任命的负责人能不费吹灰之力搞定
[45:43] -Who do you think they put in charge? -Werner Heisenberg. -你以为他们让谁负责? -维尔纳·海森堡
[45:45] He has the most intuitive understanding of atomic structure I have ever seen. 他对原子结构有着我所见过的最直观的理解
[45:49] -You know his work? -I know him, -你了解他的工作? -我了解他
[45:51] just like I know Walther Bothe, von Weizsäcker, Diebner. 就像我了解沃尔特·波特 冯·魏茨萨克 迪布纳一样
[45:54] In a straight race, the Germans win. 在直道比赛中 德国人赢了
[45:56] -We’ve got one hope. -Which is? -我们只有一个希望 -是什么?
[45:59] Antisemitism. 反犹主义
[46:02] What? 什么?
[46:03] Hitler called quantum physics “Jewish science”. 希特勒称量子物理学为“犹太科学”
[46:06] Said it right to Einstein’s face. 当着爱因斯坦的面说的
[46:07] Our one hope is that Hitler is so blinded by hate 我们唯一的希望是希特勒被仇恨蒙蔽了双眼
[46:11] that he’s denied Heisenberg proper resources, 没有为海森堡提供适当的资源
[46:13] because it’ll take vast resources. 因为这将需要大量的资源
[46:15] Our nation’s best scientists working together. Right now, they’re scattered. 我们国家最优秀的科学家 如果能团结合作——现在他们还分散在各处
[46:18] Which gives us compartmentalization. 我们称之为分隔化管理
[46:20] All minds have to see the whole task to contribute efficiently. 所有人必须共享信息才能有效地做出贡献
[46:23] Poor security may cost us the race. 过度的安全性可能会让我们输掉这场竞赛
[46:25] Inefficiency will. 低效率也会
[46:27] The Germans know more than us anyway. 不管怎样 德国人比我们知道得更多
[46:29] The Russians don’t. 俄国人不知道
[46:32] Remind me, who are we at war with? 提醒一下 我们正在与谁交战?
[46:35] Somebody with your past doesn’t want to be seen downplaying 有你这样过去的人不该被人看到轻视
[46:38] the importance of security from our communist allies. 来自我们共产主义盟友的安全的重要性
[46:42] Point taken, but… no. 你说得对 但不是这个问题
[46:45] You don’t get to say no to me. 你不可以对我说“不”
[46:47] It’s my job to say no to you when you’re wrong. 我的工作就是在你错误时对你说“不”
[46:50] So you have the job now? 所以你现在得到这份工作了?
[46:51] Uh, I’m considering it. 噢 我还在考虑
[46:56] I’m starting to see where you got your reputation. 我开始明白你是怎么获得你的声誉的了
[46:59] My favorite response: 我最喜欢的回答是
[47:02] “Oppenheimer couldn’t run a hamburger stand.” “奥本海默甚至不能经营一个汉堡摊”
[47:06] I couldn’t. 我做不到
[47:09] But I can run the Manhattan Project. 但我可以负责曼哈顿计划
[47:12] There’s a way to balance these things. 有个办法可以平衡这些东西
[47:15] Keep the Rad Lab here at Berkeley, under Lawrence. 把放射实验室留在伯克利 由劳伦斯领导
[47:19] Met Lab in Chicago, under Szilard. 芝加哥的气象实验室 由西拉德领导
[47:21] Large-scale refining, where did you say, Tennessee? 大型炼油厂 你说哪里来着 田纳西?
[47:23] -And Hanford. -还有汉福德 -还有汉福德 -And Hanford.
[47:25] All America’s industrial-minded scientific innovation, 美国所有的工业力量和科技创新
[47:29] connected by rail, focused on one goal, 通过铁路连接 集中于一个目标
[47:32] one point in space and time. 时空中的一点
[47:34] And it comes together here, a secret laboratory. 它们聚集在这里 一个秘密实验室
[47:36] In the middle of nowhere, secure, self-sufficient. 位于荒野中心 安全 自给自足
[47:39] Equipment, housing, the works. 设备 房屋 工程
[47:40] Keep everyone there until it’s done. 完成之前任何人都不准离开
[47:43] -We’ll need a school, stores, a church. -Why? -我们需要学校 商店 教堂 -为什么?
[47:46] If we don’t let scientists bring their families, we’ll never get the best. 如果不让他们带家属 我们永远请不到最好的科学家
[47:49] You want security, build a town. Build it fast. 你想要安全 就建一个小镇 越快越好
[47:52] Where? 在哪儿?
[47:57] Welcome to Los Alamos. 欢迎来到洛斯阿拉莫斯
[47:59] There’s a boys’ school we’ll have to commandeer, 我们要征用一所男子学校
[48:01] and the local Indians come up here for burial rites, 当地的印第安人来这里举行葬礼
[48:03] but apart from that, nothing. 但除此之外 方圆40英里
[48:05] 40 miles. Any direction. 一无所有
[48:06] We’ll have to find the perfect spot. 我们得找个好地方
[48:08] -For? -Success. -为什么? -为了成功
[48:16] Build him a town. Fast. 给他建个小镇 要快
[48:20] Let’s go recruit some scientists. 我们去招募一些科学家
[48:22] Why would I leave my family? 我为什么要离开我的家人?
[48:24] I told you, you can bring your family. 我说过了 你可以带家属
[48:25] -I’m not a soldier, Oppie. -A soldier? -我不是士兵 奥比 -士兵?
[48:28] He’s a general. I’ve got all the soldier I need. 他是个将军 我想要多少士兵都行
[48:31] What can I tell them? 我怎么跟他们说?
[48:33] Heisenberg, Diebner, Bothe and Bohr. What do these men have in common? 海森堡 迪布纳 玻尔 这些人有什么共同点?
[48:36] -Uh, the greatest minds on atomic theory. -Yes, and? -嗯 原子理论最伟大的头脑 -是的 然后呢?
[48:40] As much as you like. 随你怎么说
[48:43] Until you feel my boot on your balls. 有事的话我会用鞋子踹你裤裆
[48:46] You know isotopes, and you know explosives better than anyone in the world. 你了解同位素 你比世界上任何人都了解炸药
[48:49] But you can’t tell us what you’re doing. 但你不能告诉我们你在做什么
[48:55] -I don’t know. -The Nazis have them. -我不知道 -他们在纳粹手上
[48:57] Niels Bohr’s in Copenhagen. 尼尔斯·玻尔在哥本哈根
[48:58] Under Nazi occupation. Did they stop printing newspapers in Princeton? 在纳粹占领下 普林斯顿停止印刷报纸了吗?
[49:01] Why would we go to the middle of nowhere for who knows how long? 我们为什么要去一个鸟不拉屎的地方 谁知道要去多久?
[49:05] For a year or two. Or three. 一两年 或者三年吧
[49:08] General, could you… give us a moment? 将军 能让我们单独谈谈吗?
[49:13] It’s about unleashing a strong force. 这是为了释放巨大的力量
[49:17] Before the Nazis do. 抢在纳粹之前
[49:19] Oh my god. 我的天
[49:20] -Niels won’t work for the Nazis. -No, never. -尼尔斯不会为纳粹工作的 -不 从来没有
[49:23] But while they have him, we don’t. 但只要他们抓住了他 我们就没辙
[49:25] That’s why I need you. 所以我才需要你
[49:26] Why would you think I’d do that? 你为什么觉得我会这么做?
[49:28] Why? Why? 为什么? 为什么?
[49:30] How about because this is the most important fucking thing 因为这是他妈世界历史上
[49:32] to ever happen in the history of the world? 最重大的事件 还不够吗?
[49:35] How about that? 想想吧?
[49:36] Fuck. 妈的
[49:42] They’re not gonna let me onto this project. 他们不会让我参与这个项目的
[49:45] And failing a security check 还没通过安全检查
[49:47] is not going to be good for a career even after the war. 即使战争结束后 也不利于职业发展
[49:49] So you’re a fellow traveler. So what? 所以你也是同路人 那又怎样?
[49:52] This is a national emergency. 全国处于紧急状态
[49:53] I’ve got some skeletons. They put me in charge. 我有些不可告人的秘密 他们让我负责
[49:56] They need us. 他们需要我们
[49:58] Until they don’t. 卸磨杀驴而已
[50:03] Is there any chance of getting Bohr out of Denmark? 有没有可能把玻尔弄出丹麦?
[50:05] Yeah, no dice. I checked with the British. 不可能 我问过英国人了
[50:09] Until we get Allied boots back onto the continent, there’s just no way. 除非我们的大军能打回欧洲大陆 否则没门
[50:14] Is he that important? 他有那么重要吗?
[50:15] How many people do you know who proved Einstein wrong? 你认识多少人证明爱因斯坦是错的?
[50:20] You know, it really would be quicker to take a plane. 你知道吗 坐飞机真的会更快
[50:22] A plane’s too risky. 飞机太危险了
[50:23] The country needs us. 我们是国之重器
[50:28] What happened, guys? 怎么了 伙计们?
[50:29] They say the building’s too small for this cyclotron. 他们说这栋建筑太小了 无法容纳回旋加速器
[50:34] Get them together with the architects. 给他们找建筑师来
[50:39] When’s this place supposed to open? 这地方什么时候开张?
[50:44] Two months. 两个月
[50:46] Robert, you’re the great improviser, but this… 罗伯特 你很擅长激励人心 但……
[50:50] you can’t do in your head. 做事不能光凭热情
[50:53] Four divisions. 我有四个师
[50:56] Experimental, theoretical, metallurgical. 实验 理论 冶金
[50:59] Who’s running theoretical? 谁领导理论?
[51:01] I am. 我
[51:02] That’s what I was afraid of. You’re spread too thin. 这就是我所担心的 你摊子铺得太大
[51:06] So you take theoretical. 那就你来负责理论
[51:10] I’m not coming here, Robert. 我不会参与的 罗伯特
[51:19] Why not? 为什么不呢?
[51:27] You drop a bomb and it falls on the just and the unjust. 你扔下一颗炸弹 同时落在正义和不正义的人身上
[51:32] I don’t wish the culmination of three centuries of physics 我不希望三个世纪物理学的巅峰成就
[51:35] to be a weapon of mass destruction. 成为大规模杀伤性武器
[51:46] Izzy… 伊兹……
[51:48] I don’t know if we can be trusted with such a weapon. 我不知道我们是否有资格拥有这么强大的武器
[51:54] But I know the Nazis can’t. 但我知道纳粹不行
[52:01] We have no choice. 我们别无选择
[52:05] Then… 所以……
[52:08] The second thing you have to do 你要做的第二件事
[52:10] is appoint Hans Bethe to run the theoretical division. 是任命汉斯·贝特管理理论部门
[52:15] Wait, what was the first? 等等 第一件事是什么?
[52:17] Take off that ridiculous uniform. 脱下那身可笑的军服
[52:20] You’re a scientist. 你是个科学家
[52:21] Groves is insisting we join. 格罗夫斯坚持要我们参军
[52:23] Tell Groves to go shit in his hat. 让格罗夫滚犊子吧
[52:25] They need us for who we are. 他们需要真正的我们
[52:27] So be yourself. 做你自己吧
[52:29] Only better. 只会更好
[53:10] This is the only key. 这是唯一的钥匙
[53:11] And Teller’s already here. 泰勒已经到了
[53:14] -Shall I just show him in? -No, let’s wait for the others. -要我带他进来吗? -不 等其他人到齐
[53:24] Let’s get started. 我们开始吧
[53:26] -Hello, Edward. -Yes. -你好 爱德华 -好
[53:29] Gentlemen, so, we will work here 先生们 那么 我们就在这里工作
[53:31] until the T Section at Los Alamos is finished. 直到洛斯阿拉莫斯的T区完工
[53:34] -Edward, can I…? -This is more important. -爱德华 我能…… -这个更重要
[53:38] When I calculated the chain reaction, I found a rather troubling possibility. 当我计算连锁反应时 我发现了一个相当棘手的可能性
[53:43] No, this can’t be right. 不 这不可能
[53:47] Show me how you did your calculations. 说说你是怎么计算的
[53:49] Yes. 行
[53:53] -Exponential. -No, no, no. No. -指数级 -不 不 不 不
[54:00] This is fantasy. 不可思议
[54:02] Teller’s calculations can’t be right. 泰勒的计算不可能正确
[54:04] Do them yourself while I go to Princeton. 你们先各干各的 我去趟普林斯顿
[54:07] -What for? -To talk to Einstein. -去干吗? -找爱因斯坦谈谈
[54:09] Well, there’s not much common ground between the two. 可 这两者之间没什么共同点
[54:11] That’s why I should get his view. 这就是为什么我应该听听他的意见
[54:18] -Albert. -Hmm? -阿尔伯特 -嗯?
[54:19] Ah, Dr. Oppenheimer. 是你 奥本海默博士
[54:22] Have you met Dr. Gödel? 你见过哥德尔博士吗?
[54:24] We walk here most days. 我们大部分时间都在这里散步
[54:26] Trees have the most inspiring structures. 森林有着最激动人心的结构
[54:30] Albert, might I have a word? 阿尔伯特 我能和你说句话吗?
[54:32] Of course. Excuse me, Kurt. 当然 对不起 科特
[54:36] Some days Kurt refuses to eat. 有时候科特拒绝吃东西
[54:39] Even in Princeton, he’s convinced that the Nazis can poison his food. 即使在普林斯顿 他也坚信纳粹可以在他的食物里下毒
[54:55] Whose, whose work is this? 这是谁做的?
[54:58] Teller’s. 泰勒
[55:00] What do you take it to mean? 你认为这意味着什么?
[55:03] Neutrons smash into the nucleus, 中子撞击原子核
[55:05] releasing neutrons to smash into other nuclei. 释放中子撞击其他原子核
[55:09] Criticality. 临界质量
[55:10] Point of no return. Massive explosive force. 超过临界点 巨大的爆炸力
[55:13] But this time, the chain reaction doesn’t stop. 可一旦 连锁反应没有停止
[55:16] It would ignite the atmosphere. 整个大气层都会被点燃
[55:20] When we detonate an atomic device, we might start a chain reaction that… 当我们引爆原子装置 我们可能会引发连锁反应
[55:25] destroys the world. 毁灭世界
[55:28] So here we are, hmm? 所以来找我 嗯?
[55:30] Lost in your quantum world of probabilities, 你迷失在量子的概率世界里了
[55:34] and needing certainty. 亟需确定性
[55:36] Can you run the calculations yourself? 你能亲自计算一下吗?
[55:39] About the only thing you and I have in common 我们唯一的共同点
[55:42] is a disdain for mathematics. 是对数学的蔑视
[55:44] Who’s working on this in Berkeley? 谁在伯克利负责这个?
[55:46] Hans Bethe. 汉斯·贝特
[55:47] Well, he’ll get to the truth. 他会查出真相的
[55:51] And if the truth is catastrophic? 如果真相是灾难性的呢?
[55:54] Then you stop, and you share your findings with the Nazis. 那么你就停下来 和纳粹共享你的发现
[55:59] So neither side destroys the world. 这样双方都不会毁灭世界了
[56:05] Robert. 罗伯特
[56:08] This is yours, not mine. 这是你的 不是我的
[56:24] Teller’s wrong. 泰勒错了
[56:25] He’s wrong. 他错了
[56:36] When you know Teller’s critical assumptions, the real picture emerges. 当你了解泰勒的关键假设后 真相就浮出水面
[56:40] Bottom line? 最底限呢?
[56:42] The chances of an out-of-control nuclear reaction are near-zero. 核反应失控的可能性几乎为零
[56:45] Near-zero. 几乎为零
[56:48] Oppie, this is good news. 奥比 这是好消息
[56:49] Mm-hmm. 嗯哼
[56:51] Can you run them again? 你能再算一遍吗?
[56:53] Oh, you’ll get the same answer. 噢 算多少遍答案都一样
[56:54] Until they actually detonate one of these things, 这是你在真正引爆之前
[56:56] the best assurance you’re going to get is this. 所能得到的最佳保证
[56:59] Near-zero. 几乎为零
[57:03] Theory will take you only so far. 理论总是灰色的
[57:06] -Hello! -Hi. 你好! 嗨
[57:08] We missed him. 我们好想他
[57:09] You want to adopt? 你想领养吗?
[57:10] She’s kidding. 她开玩笑的
[57:11] We wanted to see you before we left. 我们想在走之前见见你
[57:14] For parts unknown. 为了不能说的秘密
[57:17] You know who I ran into the other day? 你知道前几天我碰见谁了?
[57:20] Eltenton. 埃尔坦登
[57:22] That chemist from Shell? The union guy? 那个壳牌公司化学家? 工会的?
[57:25] Yeah, the FAECT guy. 是啊 FAECT那家伙
[57:29] He was moaning about how we’re handling the war. 他在抱怨我们投入战争的方法
[57:32] How so? 怎么了?
[57:34] Lack of cooperation with our allies. 与我们的盟友缺乏合作
[57:37] Apparently, our government’s not sharing any research with the Russians. 显然 我们的政府没有和俄国分享任何研究成果
[57:41] He said most scientists think the policy is stupid. 他说 大多数科学家认为这项政策是愚蠢的
[57:48] -Oh, yeah? -Yeah. -哦 是吗? -是的
[57:51] He mentioned that if anyone had anything they wanted to pass on, 他提到如果有人想传递什么信息
[57:55] going around official channels, that he could help. 他可以帮忙 通过官方渠道
[58:08] That would be treason. 那是叛国罪
[58:10] Yes, of course. 是的 当然
[58:12] I just thought you should know. 我只是觉得你应该知道
[58:17] The brat is down. 小家伙睡着了
[58:19] Where are the martinis? 马提尼酒呢?
[58:25] Coming right up. 马上就来
[58:27] The conversation ended there. 谈话到此结束
[58:29] Nothing in our long-standing friendship would have led me to believe 我们是多年的好友 我绝不相信
[58:32] that Chevalier was actually seeking information, 舍瓦利耶实际上是在试探口风
[58:35] and I am certain that he had no idea of the work in which I was engaged. 我敢肯定他对我所从事的工作一无所知
[58:44] It has long been clear to me that I should have reported this incident at once. 我早就清楚地意识到 我应该立即报告此事
[58:49] The Oppenheimer situation highlights the tension 奥本海默事件凸显了科学家与安全机构之间
[58:52] between scientists and the security apparatus. 剑拔弩张的关系
[58:55] In hopes of learning how the nominee handled such issues 希望能了解提名人在任职期原子能委员会期间
[58:57] during his time at the AEC, 是如何处理这些问题的
[59:00] we’ll have a scientist appearing before the committee. 我们将有一个科学家在委员会前作证
[59:04] Who are they bringing in? 他们请的是谁?
[59:05] They hadn’t said. 他们没说
[59:06] Mr. Chairman, if I may, I’m nominated for Commerce Secretary. 主席先生 有个问题 我被提名为商务部长
[59:10] Why seek the opinion of scientists? 为何要征求科学家的意见?
[59:13] This is a cabinet post, Admiral. 这是内阁职位 将军
[59:15] We seek a wide range of opinion. 我们广泛征求各种意见
[59:17] I’d like to know the name of the scientist testifying. 我想知道作证的科学家是谁
[59:20] I’d like the chance to cross-examine. 我希望有机会交叉询问
[59:22] This is not a court. 这里不是法庭
[59:25] Formality, huh? 例行公事 嗯?
[59:26] No presidential cabinet nominee has failed to be confirmed since 1925. 自1925年以来 没有一位总统内阁提名人未经国会确认
[59:30] This is just how the game is played. 这就是政治的游戏规则
[59:32] It’s in the bag, Lewis. So play nice. 十拿九稳 刘易斯 所以放轻松
[59:35] They bring in a scientist, so what? 他们带来了一个科学家 那又怎样?
[59:37] You don’t know scientists like I do, Counselor. 你不像我这么了解科学家 律师先生
[59:39] They resent anyone who questions their judgment, 他们憎恨任何质疑他们判断力的人
[59:41] especially if you’re not one of them. 特别是当你不是他们中一员的时候
[59:43] I was chair of the AEC. 我曾担任原子能委员会主席
[59:44] I’m easy to blame for what happened to Robert. 罗伯特的事很容易怪罪到我头上
[59:46] We can’t have the Senate thinking 我们不能让参议院认为
[59:48] the scientific community doesn’t support you, sir. 科学界不支持你 先生
[59:51] Or should we pivot? 或者我们应该转向?
[59:53] -To what? -And embrace it. -什么? -豁出去
[59:56] “I fought Oppenheimer, and the US won.” “我打败了奥本海默 美国赢了”
[59:58] I don’t think we need to go there. 我觉得我们没必要这么做
[59:59] Isn’t there someone we can call who knows what really happened? 难道就没有人知道到底发生了什么吗?
[1:00:02] -Teller. -He’ll make an impression. -泰勒 -他会留下深刻印象的
[1:00:04] Can you get the name of the scientist they’ve called? 你能知道他们找的那个科学家的名字吗?
[1:00:05] -Probably. -Find out if he was based in Chicago -试试看 -查查他是否住在芝加哥
[1:00:08] or Los Alamos during the war. 或者战争时期在洛斯阿拉莫斯
[1:00:10] Why does that matter? 这很重要吗?
[1:00:11] Well, if he was based in Chicago, they worked under Szilard and Fermi, 如果他常住芝加哥 那就是西拉德和费米手下的人
[1:00:13] not the cult to Bobby in Los Alamos. 不是洛斯阿拉莫斯那帮奥比的狂热崇拜者
[1:00:16] Robert built that damn place. He was founder, mayor, sheriff. 罗伯特建造了那个鬼地方 他是创始人 市长 警长
[1:00:20] All rolled into one. 统统集于一身
[1:00:34] Now all it needs is a saloon. 万事俱备 只欠酒吧
[1:01:05] There’s no kitchen. 没有厨房
[1:01:08] Really? We’ll fix that. 真的吗? 我们会解决的
[1:01:17] Barbed wire? Guns? 铁丝网? 枪?
[1:01:20] -Oppie… -We’re at war, Hans. -奥比…… -我们在打仗 汉斯
[1:01:25] Halifax. 哈利法克斯
[1:01:27] 1917. 1917年
[1:01:28] A cargo ship carrying munitions explodes in the harbor. 一艘载有军火的货船在港口发生爆炸
[1:01:33] A vast and sudden chemical reaction. 一次巨大而突然的化学反应
[1:01:40] The biggest man-made explosion in history. 这是史上最大的人为爆炸
[1:01:43] Now, let’s calculate how much more destructive it would have been 现在 让我们计算一下它的破坏力有多大
[1:01:46] if it were a nuclear and not a chemical reaction, 如果这是核反应而不是化学反应
[1:01:50] expressing power in terms of tons of TNT. 以吨TNT来表示能量
[1:01:53] But it will be thousands. 但会是上千级别
[1:01:55] Well, then, kilotons. 那就 千吨
[1:02:01] Using U-235, 使用U-235
[1:02:05] the bomb will need a… -Uh… -原子弹需要一…… -呃……
[1:02:07] Sorry. Gadget will need a 33-pound sphere 抱歉 装置需要一个33磅重的球体
[1:02:10] about this size, 大概这么大
[1:02:12] or using plutonium, a ten-pound sphere. 或者使用钚 一个十磅重的球体
[1:02:17] Here’s the amount of uranium Oak Ridge refined all of last month. 这是橡树岭上个月提炼的铀的总量
[1:02:25] And the Hanford plant made this much plutonium. 而汉福德工厂生产了这么多钚
[1:02:30] Now, if we can enrich these amounts, we need a way to detonate them. 现在 如果我们能浓缩这些数量 我们需要一种方法来引爆它们
[1:02:35] Are we boring you, Edward? 我们让你无聊了吗 爱德华?
[1:02:37] A little bit, yes. 有一点 是的
[1:02:39] May I ask why? 我能问问为什么吗?
[1:02:40] We all entered this room knowing a fission bomb was possible. 我们走进这个房间时 都知道制造裂变炸弹是可能的
[1:02:44] How about we leave it with something new? 不如我们换个新点子吧?
[1:02:46] Such as? 比如?
[1:02:48] Instead of uranium or plutonium, we use hydrogen. 我们用氢代替铀或钚
[1:02:52] Heavy hydrogen. Deuterium. 重氢 氘
[1:02:56] You see, we compact the atoms together 你看 我们把原子压缩在一起
[1:02:58] under great pressure to induce a fusion reaction. 在巨大的压力之下引发聚变反应
[1:03:03] Then we’ll get not kilotons, but megatons. 然后我们得到的不是千吨级 而是百万吨级当量
[1:03:08] Okay, hang on, hang on. 没事 等等 等等
[1:03:10] So how do you generate enough force to fuse hydrogen atoms? 那么如何产生足够的能量来聚合氢原子呢?
[1:03:15] A small fission bomb. 一颗小型原子弹
[1:03:17] There we are! 这不一样吗!
[1:03:20] Well, since we’re going to need one anyway, 好吧 既然我们无论如何都需要一个
[1:03:22] can we get back to the business at hand? 我们能回到正题上来吗?
[1:03:24] The isotopes issue wasn’t your most important 同位素问题不是最重要的
[1:03:27] policy disagreement with Dr. Oppenheimer. 与奥本海默博士的政策分歧
[1:03:30] It was the hydrogen bomb, wasn’t it? 是氢弹 对吧?
[1:03:33] As colleagues, we agreed to disagree on a great many things, uh… 作为同事 我们承认在很多事情上存在分歧
[1:03:38] And one of them was the need for an H-bomb program, yes. 其中之一就是需要一个氢弹项目 没错
[1:03:55] Thanks for convening on short notice. 谢谢大家临时来参加会议
[1:03:58] I can’t believe it. 非常难得
[1:04:00] But here we are. Catch me up. What do we know? 人到齐了 跟我说说 我们现在知道些什么?
[1:04:04] One of our B-29s over the North Pacific has detected radiation. 我们的一架B-29轰炸机在北太平洋上空探测到辐射
[1:04:08] -Do we have the filter papers? -There’s no doubt what this is. -我们有过滤纸吗? -毫无疑问这意味着什么
[1:04:11] -White House says there’s a doubt. -Wishful thinking, I’m afraid. -白宫表示有疑问 -恐怕是一厢情愿
[1:04:14] Are those the long-range detection filter papers? 那些是远程探测滤纸吗?
[1:04:18] It’s an atomic test. 这是一次原子弹试验
[1:04:23] The Russians have a bomb. 俄国人有原子弹了
[1:04:25] We’re supposed to be years ahead of them, but this… 咱们不是应该领先他们几年吗 那这……
[1:04:28] What were you guys doing in Los Alamos? Wasn’t security tight? 你们在洛斯拉莫斯忙什么? 安保不是很严密吗?
[1:04:31] -Of course it was. You weren’t there. -Forgive me, Doctor. -当然了 你又不在现场 -原谅我 博士
[1:04:36] But I was there. 但我当时在那里
[1:04:39] We can now consider the actual mechanics of detonation. 我们现在可以考虑爆炸的实际机制
[1:04:42] -Any ideas? -I call this shooting. -有什么想法吗? -我管这叫枪式
[1:04:45] We fire a chunk of fissionable material into a larger sphere 我们把一大块可裂变材料发射到一个更大的球体中
[1:04:49] with enough force to achieve criticality. 以足够的力量达到临界质量
[1:04:52] -What do we think? Anyone? -I’ve been thinking about implosion. -你们觉得呢?谁说一说? -我一直在考虑内爆式
[1:04:55] Explosives around the sphere blast inwards, crushing the material. 球体周围的爆炸物向内爆炸 粉碎材料
[1:04:59] -I’d like to investigate that idea. -I’ll talk to ordnance. -我想研究一下这个想法 -我去跟制造商谈谈
[1:05:02] Get you blowing things up. 让你把东西炸飞
[1:05:04] -Progress? -Nice to see you too. -进展顺利? -我也很高兴见到你
[1:05:07] Meet the British contingent. 来见见英国代表团
[1:05:09] Dr. Oppenheimer. Klaus Fuchs. 奥本海默博士 克劳斯·福克斯
[1:05:11] -How long have you been British? -Since Hitler told me I wasn’t German. -你到英国多久了? -自从希特勒告诉我 我不是德国人
[1:05:14] Ah. Come, welcome to Los Alamos. 好啊 欢迎来到洛斯阿拉莫斯
[1:05:18] The school’s up and running. 学校已经开学了
[1:05:19] -The bar. -Always running. -酒吧 -24小时营业
[1:05:23] And I thought of a way to reduce support staff. 我想到了一个减少后勤人员的好办法
[1:05:26] -Is that…? -Mrs. Serber, yes. -那是……? -塞伯尔太太 是的
[1:05:28] I’ve offered jobs to all the wives, admin, librarians, computation. 我给所有的妻子提供管理员 图书管理员 计算员的工作
[1:05:32] We cut down on staff, keep families together. 既能减员 又让家人团聚
[1:05:34] -Are these women qualified? -Don’t be absurd. -这些女人够资格吗? -别傻了
[1:05:36] These are some of the brightest minds in our community. 她们都是我们社区里一些最聪明的人
[1:05:38] And they’re already security cleared. 而且她们已经通过了安全检查
[1:05:40] I’ve informed General Groves you’ve been holding cross-divisional 我已经汇报格罗夫斯将军你一直在举行跨部门会议
[1:05:42] open discussions on a nightly basis. -Shut them down. 每晚公开讨论 -关闭它们
[1:05:45] Compartmentalization is the key 分隔化管理是重中之重
[1:05:47] to maintaining security… -Only the top men. 为了严格保密 -仅限最高层人员
[1:05:49] Who presumably communicate with subordinates. 那些需要与下属沟通的人
[1:05:51] These men aren’t stupid. They can be discreet. 这些人不傻 他们很谨慎
[1:05:53] -I don’t like it. -You don’t like anything enough -我不喜欢这样 -你什么都不喜欢
[1:05:55] for that to be a fair test. 这是一个公平的测试
[1:06:02] Once a week. Top men only. 一周一次 仅限高层人士参加
[1:06:05] -I’d like to bring my brother here. -No. -我想带我弟弟来这里 -不
[1:06:09] Nichols? 尼科尔斯?
[1:06:11] I still haven’t heard that my security clearance has been approved. 我还没听说我的安全许可获得批准
[1:06:14] -It hasn’t. -I’m going to Chicago tomorrow. -还没有 -我明天要去芝加哥
[1:06:16] Well, you should wait. 嗯 你应该等等
[1:06:18] You are aware that the Nazis have a two-year head start? 你知道纳粹已经领先两年了吧?
[1:06:21] Dr. Oppenheimer, the fact that your security clearance 奥本海默博士 你的安全许可很难获得批准
[1:06:22] is proving difficult to obtain is not my fault. 事实上不是我的错
[1:06:25] It’s yours. 是你的
[1:06:26] It may not be your fault, but it’s your problem. Because I’m going. 也许不是你的错 但这是你的问题 因为我要去
[1:06:30] And how many people were in these, uh… 有多少人牵涉到这个 呃……
[1:06:32] open discussions? 公开讨论里面?
[1:06:34] Too many. Compartmentalization was supposed to be the protocol. 太多了 分隔化管理应该有很多限制才对
[1:06:37] We were in a race against the Nazis. 那时我们在和纳粹赛跑
[1:06:38] And now the race is against the Soviets. 现在比赛对手是苏联人
[1:06:41] -Not unless we start it. -Robert, they just fired the starting gun. -除非我们先开始 -罗伯特 他们刚刚打响发令枪
[1:06:46] What’s the nature of the device they detonated? 他们的引爆装置是什么?
[1:06:48] Data indicates it may have been a plutonium implosion device. 数据显示可能是一个钚内爆装置
[1:06:52] Like the one you built at Los Alamos. 就跟你在洛斯阿拉莫斯造的一样
[1:06:55] The Russians have a bomb. 俄国人有了原子弹
[1:06:57] -Truman needs to know what’s next. -What’s next? Arms talks. -杜鲁门需要知道下一步怎么办 -下一步?武器谈判
[1:07:00] -Arms talks? -Obviously. -武器谈判? -当然
[1:07:03] What about the Super? Does Truman even know about it? 氢弹呢? 杜鲁门知道吗?
[1:07:05] Did we brief him on that? 我们跟他汇报过吗?
[1:07:07] Not specifically. 不是很具体
[1:07:09] We still don’t know if a hydrogen bomb is technically feasible. 我们仍然不知道氢弹在技术上是否可行
[1:07:12] Right, my understanding is that Teller proposed it. 对 我的理解是泰勒提议的
[1:07:14] -At Los Alamos? -Yes. -在洛斯阿拉莫斯? -是的
[1:07:15] Teller’s designs have always been wildly impractical. 泰勒的设计总是不切实际
[1:07:17] You’d have to deliver by oxcart, not airplane. 你必须用牛车送货 而不是飞机
[1:07:21] -Oppie! -I’m sorry, Dr. Lawrence, -奥比! -抱歉 劳伦斯博士
[1:07:23] do you want to comment? 你有什么要说的吗?
[1:07:26] No. 没有
[1:07:29] Because if it can put us ahead again, 假如它能让我们再次保持领先
[1:07:31] the President of the United States needs to know about it. 美国总统就需要知道这件事
[1:07:38] And if the Russians know about it already from a spy, 假如俄国人通过在洛斯阿拉莫斯的间谍那里
[1:07:41] at Los Alamos, then we’ve got to get going. 已经知道此事 那么我们就得立刻上马
[1:07:44] There’s no proof there was a spy at Los Alamos. 没有证据表明洛斯阿拉莫斯有间谍
[1:07:47] Robert. 罗伯特
[1:07:53] They put it under the football stadium? 他们把它设在足球场下面?
[1:07:55] The field’s not in use anymore. 这块地不再使用了
[1:07:57] Just as well. 这样也好
[1:08:01] -Oppie! -Dr. Fermi. -奥比! -费米博士
[1:08:05] -I hear you’ve got a little town. -Yes, come and see. -我听说你有个小镇 -是的 有空来坐坐
[1:08:10] Who could think straight in a place like that, huh? 谁能在哪种地方正常思考呢?
[1:08:14] Everybody will go crazy. 每个人都会疯掉的
[1:08:17] Thank you the vote of confidence, Szilard. 谢谢你的信任 西拉德
[1:08:20] Do we really… do we really need that in the notes? 我们真的……我们真的需要把这些全记下吗?
[1:08:24] Are you gonna try it out? 你们要做试验吗?
[1:08:26] We did. 我们做到了
[1:08:27] The first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction. 第一个受控自持链式核反应
[1:08:31] Didn’t Groves tell you? 格罗夫斯没告诉你吗?
[1:08:33] No. 没有
[1:08:42] Dr. Oppenheimer? 奥本海默博士?
[1:08:44] I tried personnel. 我去过人事部
[1:08:46] -They asked if I could type. -Can you? -他们问我会不会打字 -你会吗?
[1:08:48] Harvard forgot to teach that on the graduate chemistry course. 哈佛大学在化学研究生课程上忘了教这个
[1:08:53] Condon, put Mrs. Hornig here on the plutonium team. 康登 让霍尼格夫人加入钚小组
[1:09:02] What the hell were you doing in Chicago? 你到底在芝加哥干什么?
[1:09:04] -Visiting the met. -Why? -参观大都会博物馆 -为什么?
[1:09:05] -You can’t… -Why? -你不能…… -为什么?
[1:09:06] Because we, we have every right… 因为我们 我们有权……
[1:09:08] You have just the rights that I give you. No more, no less. 你只有我赋予你的权利 不多不少
[1:09:12] We are adults trying to run a project here. This is ridiculous. 我们都是成年人了 这样做项目太荒谬了
[1:09:16] Tell him! 告诉他!
[1:09:18] Compartmentalization is the protocol we agreed to. 分隔化管理是我们同意的协议
[1:09:22] Enough of this madhouse. Nobody can work under these conditions. 受够了这个疯人院 没人能在这种条件下工作
[1:09:26] You know what? Generalissimo, I quit! 你知道吗? 大帅 我不干了!
[1:09:30] Thanks for nothing. 谢谢你什么都没做
[1:09:34] Better off without him. 没有他会更好
[1:09:36] Aren’t you more concerned about his discretion out there? 你不怕他泄露机密吗?
[1:09:41] We’ll have him killed. 我们会杀了他
[1:09:44] I’m just kidding. 开玩笑的
[1:09:46] No, he hates me, not America. 不 他恨的是我 不是美国
[1:09:48] You know, General, not everyone has levers to pull like mine. 你知道 将军 不是每个人都有像我这样的把柄
[1:09:52] I don’t think I understand. 我不懂你说什么
[1:09:53] You didn’t hire me despite my left-wing past. You hired me because of it. 你不是不管我是左翼才雇我的 你是因为我是左翼才雇我的
[1:09:58] So you could control me. 这样你就能控制我了
[1:10:00] No, I’m not that subtle. I’m just a humble soldier. 不 我没那么狡猾 我只是个普通的士兵
[1:10:04] You’re neither humble, nor just a soldier. You studied engineering at MIT. 你既不普通 也不仅仅是个士兵 你在麻省理工学习工程学
[1:10:08] -Guilty as charged. -Well, now we understand each other, -罪名成立 -现在我们彼此理解了
[1:10:10] perhaps you can get me my security clearance, 也许你能帮我弄到安全许可
[1:10:12] so I can perform this miracle for you. 这样我就能为你创造奇迹
[1:10:20] General Groves, were you aware 格罗夫斯将军 你知道
[1:10:22] of Dr. Oppenheimer’s left-wing associations when you appointed him? 当你任命奥本海默博士时 他与左翼组织的关系?
[1:10:25] I was aware that there were suspicions about him. 我知道有人怀疑他
[1:10:27] I was aware he had a very extreme liberal background. 我知道他有非常极端的自由主义背景
[1:10:31] In your opinion, would he ever consciously commit a disloyal act? 在你看来 他会有意识地做出叛国的行为吗?
[1:10:34] I would be amazed if he did. 如果他做了 我会很惊讶的
[1:10:36] So you had complete confidence in his integrity? 所以你完全相信他的正直?
[1:10:38] At Los Alamos, yes. Which is where I really knew him. 在洛斯阿拉莫斯 是的 那是我真正了解他的地方
[1:10:41] Do you know that your security officers on the project 你知不知道你的安全人员在这个项目上
[1:10:44] advised you against the clearance of Dr. Oppenheimer? 建议你不要批准奥本海默博士的安全许可?
[1:10:46] They could not, and would not, clear him until I insisted. 在我的坚持下 他们才为他办理了安全许可
[1:10:50] And it’s safe to say that you had pretty good knowledge 可以肯定的说 你看过很多
[1:10:52] of Dr. Oppenheimer’s security file. -I did. 奥本海默博士的安全档案 -是的
[1:10:56] Well, then there’s only really one question I need answered here today. 那今天你只需回答我一个问题
[1:10:58] In light of the current AEC guidelines, would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today? 根据原子能委员会现行的指导方针 你今天会批准奥本海默博士的安全许可吗?
[1:11:03] Do you have the guidelines? 你带来指导方针了吗?
[1:11:12] Under current AEC guidelines, 根据原子能委员会现行的指导方针
[1:11:14] would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today? 你今天会批准奥本海默博士的安全许可吗?
[1:11:30] Physics and New Mexico, huh? 物理学和新墨西哥 是吧?
[1:11:33] My god. What a trek. 天啊 真是千里迢迢
[1:11:36] -That’s why you need a liaison. -I’m appointing Lomanitz. -所以你需要一个联络人 -我要任命洛马尼茨
[1:11:40] You’re gonna be okay. This way, gentlemen. 你会没事的 这边请 先生们
[1:11:52] -Dr. Lawrence. -Leslie. -劳伦斯博士 -莱斯利
[1:11:55] I’d like to remind you what we talked about at Berkeley. 我想提醒你我们在伯克利谈过的事
[1:11:57] Compartmentalization, I understand completely. 分隔化管理 我完全理解
[1:12:14] Greetings from Berkeley. 来自伯克利的问候
[1:12:15] I am here to update you on our progress and solicit your input. 我来这里是为了向你更新我们的进展情况 并征求你的意见
[1:12:19] To do so, I am going to have to share a few things that 要做到这一点 我必须分享一些事情
[1:12:21] General Groves told me not to. 格罗夫斯将军不许我这么做
[1:12:24] Sorry General, I said I understood, not that I agreed. 对不起 将军 我说我理解 不是说我同意
[1:12:27] Okay. Gentlemen, to business! 好了 先生们 谈正事吧!
[1:12:30] There were rumors of espionage 传闻说在洛斯阿拉莫斯
[1:12:32] at Los Alamos. -Unsubstantiated. 有间谍活动 -未经证实
[1:12:34] I’m told that there were communists 我听说有共产主义者
[1:12:37] on the project. -We didn’t knowingly employ… 渗透这个项目 -我们并没有故意雇佣……
[1:12:38] I just want to know, were any of them involved 我只是想知道 他们有没有参与……
[1:12:40] in discussions of the Super? 氢弹的讨论?
[1:12:42] I seem to remember you demanding your brother come to Los Alamos. 我记得你要求你弟弟来洛斯阿拉莫斯
[1:12:45] -My brother had left the party by then. -What about Lomanitz? -我弟弟那时已经脱离共产党了 -那洛马尼茨呢?
[1:12:48] Lomanitz was never employed at Los Alamos. He was a liaison. 洛马尼茨从未受雇于洛斯阿拉莫斯 他只是个联络员
[1:12:51] Our security was tight, as former Colonel Nichols well knows. 我们的安保措施非常严密 前上校尼科尔斯很清楚这一点
[1:12:54] Our security was as tight as it could be given the personalities involved, 考虑到所涉及的人员 我们的安保措施非常严密
[1:12:56] but attempts were made. 但只能尽力而为
[1:12:58] -What is that supposed to mean? -We’ve all read his file here. -那是什么意思? -我们都看过他的档案
[1:13:02] Do we need to talk about Jean Tatlock? 我们需要谈谈琼·塔特洛克吗?
[1:13:05] Or the Chevalier incident? 还是舍瓦利耶事件?
[1:13:11] Excuse me. 不好意思
[1:13:15] Lomanitz, line one! 洛马尼茨 一号线!
[1:13:24] Hello, Rossi. What? 你好 洛西 什么?
[1:13:27] Okay, just calm down. 好吧 冷静点
[1:13:29] There’s been another screwup. 又出事了
[1:13:30] -Lomanitz just got drafted. -We are at war, Doctor. -洛马尼茨刚被征召入伍 -我们在打仗 博士
[1:13:33] Don’t be an asshole, Nichols. We need this kid. Fix it, will you? 别这么混蛋 尼克尔斯 我们需要这孩子 搞掂它 好吗?
[1:13:37] It wasn’t a mistake. 这不是个错误
[1:13:38] Your friend Lomanitz has been trying to unionize the radiation lab. 你的朋友洛马尼茨一直在试图组建辐射实验室的工会
[1:13:41] -He promised to quit all that. -Well, he hasn’t. -他答应放弃这一切 -嗯 他没有
[1:13:45] The security officer at Berkeley is concerned about communist infiltration 伯克利的安全官员担心共产党渗透
[1:13:48] -FAECT. through that union, the FA… 通过那个工会 叫什么FA…… -FAECT.
[1:13:54] While I’m there next week, I’ll… drop in to see him. 下周我去的时候 我会……顺便去看看他
[1:14:00] Your Q clearance came through. 你的安全许可批准了
[1:14:05] It’s important you not maintain or renew any questionable associations. 重要的是你不能再接触任何有问题的联系人
[1:14:14] Doctor, did you think social contacts 博士 你是否觉得一个从事秘密战争工作的人
[1:14:16] between a person engaged on secret war work and communists was dangerous? 和共产主义者之间保持社交关系是危险的?
[1:14:20] My awareness of the danger would be greater today. 我今天对危险的意识会更强烈
[1:14:24] I mean, it’s fair to say that during the war years, 我的意思是 公平地说 在战争年代
[1:14:27] you felt that such contacts were potentially dangerous. 你认为这样的接触是存在潜在危险的
[1:14:36] Were conceivably dangerous, yes. 是的 确实很危险
[1:14:39] I mean, really! 我是说真的!
[1:14:42] Known communists. 著名的共产主义者
[1:14:46] Look… 你看……
[1:14:48] I’ve had a lot of secrets in my head for a long time. 我脑子里有很多秘密已经很久了
[1:14:53] Doesn’t matter who I associate with, I don’t talk about those secrets. 不管和谁交往 我从不谈论那些秘密
[1:15:05] You said in your statement 你在证词里说
[1:15:08] that you had to see Jean Tatlock in 1943. 1943年你必须去见琼·塔特洛克
[1:15:14] You left. 你离开了
[1:15:17] Not a word. 什么也不说
[1:15:19] What did you think that would do to me? 你知道这有多伤我么?
[1:15:22] I wrote. 我写了信的
[1:15:24] Pages of nothing. 写的全是废话
[1:15:28] Where did you go? 你到底去哪儿了?
[1:15:31] -I can’t tell you. -Why not? -我不能说 -为什么?
[1:15:33] Because you’re a communist. 因为你是共产党员
[1:15:37] Why did you have to see her? 你为什么一定要见她?
[1:15:39] She had indicated a great desire to see me before we left. 我走之前她特别想见我
[1:15:44] At that time I couldn’t, but I felt that she had to see me. 但我没去 我觉得我需要去见他
[1:15:49] She was undergoing psychiatric treatment. She was extremely unhappy. 她当时在接受心理治疗 她需要我
[1:15:53] Did you find out why she had to see you? 她为什么偏偏要见你呢?
[1:16:01] Because she was still in love with me. 因为她还爱着我
[1:16:10] You spent the night together, didn’t you? 你们过了一夜 是吗?
[1:16:20] Yes. 是的
[1:16:27] You drop in and out of my life, and you don’t have to tell me why. 你在我的生活里忽隐忽现 却从不告诉我为什么
[1:16:33] -And that’s power. -Not that I enjoy. -你很享受这种权力吧 -我不享受
[1:16:37] I’d rather be here for you as you need. 我宁愿在你需要的时候陪在你身边
[1:16:40] But you have other priorities now. 但你现在有别的事情要做
[1:16:43] I have a wife and child. 我有老婆和孩子
[1:16:46] That’s not what either of us is talking about. 我们说的不是这个
[1:16:52] Jean… you asked me to come. 琼……是你叫我来的
[1:16:57] And I’m glad I did. 我来了 我也很乐意
[1:17:00] But I can’t see you again. 但我不能再见你了
[1:17:04] But what if I need you? 那我需要你的时候呢?
[1:17:10] You said you would always answer. 你说只要我叫 你永远都会来的
[1:17:15] Not a word? 什么也不说?
[1:17:18] Did you think that consistent with good security? 你觉得这次见面符合安保措施的规定吗?
[1:17:20] As a matter of fact, it was. 事实上 是的
[1:17:22] Not a word. 什么也不说
[1:17:24] When did you see her after that? 那之后你什么时候见过她?
[1:17:34] I never saw her again. 我再也没见过她
[1:17:42] I can make the last train back to Princeton. 我能赶上最后一班回普林斯顿的火车
[1:17:45] Kitty, I didn’t say anything that I hadn’t already told you. 凯蒂 我不会说什么我没告诉你的
[1:17:48] Today you said it to history, didn’t you? 今天你对历史说了 不是吗?
[1:17:50] This is a closed hearing. 这是一个闭门听证会
[1:17:54] If they don’t release the transcript, I’m sure you will. 如果他们不公布记录 我相信你会的
[1:17:56] -I was under oath. -Well, you were under an oath to me -我发过誓的 -你也对我发过誓
[1:17:58] when you went to see Jean. 当你去见琼的时候
[1:18:01] You know, you… 你知道 你……
[1:18:03] You sit there, day after day, 你坐在那里 日复一日
[1:18:07] letting them pick our lives to pieces. 让他们把我们的生活撕个粉碎
[1:18:12] Why won’t you fight? 你为什么不反抗?
[1:18:17] Robert, I’m not putting her up there. 罗伯特 我不同意让她做证
[1:18:25] Dr. Oppenheimer! This is an honor. Please, take a seat. 奥本海默博士 很荣幸见到你 请坐
[1:18:28] No need. I just wanted to check whether I should… 不用了 我只是想确认一下我是否应该……
[1:18:32] talk to Lomanitz while I’m here, given your concerns. 考虑到你的担心 我在这的时候和洛马尼茨谈谈
[1:18:34] I’d say that’s really up to you, Professor, but I’d be cautious. 我想说这完全取决于你 教授 但我会小心谨慎
[1:18:37] Understood. 明白
[1:18:39] Oh, and, um, as regards to the union, 噢 还有 关于工会
[1:18:41] I wanted to give you a heads up on a man named Eltenton. 我想提醒你一下一个叫埃尔坦登的人
[1:18:45] A heads up? 提醒一下?
[1:18:46] Yes, just that he might bear watching, is all. 是的 只是他可能值得关注 仅此而已。
[1:18:51] I’d love to get more details. 我想了解更多细节
[1:18:53] I have an appointment now, and I leave early tomorrow. 我现在有个约会 明天一早就出发
[1:18:56] Well, come back as early as you like. 好的 早点回来 我随时恭候
[1:18:58] Since you haven’t time now. 既然你现在没有时间
[1:19:00] -You went back the next morning. -I did. I had to, really. -你第二天早上就回去了 -是的 我不得不这么做 真的
[1:19:05] This time there was another man. 这次还有另一个人
[1:19:08] -He said his name was Pash. -Pash. You met Colonel Pash? -他说他叫帕什 – 帕什 你见到帕什上校?
[1:19:12] Colonel Pash, could you please read from your memo dated June 29, 1943? 帕什上校 你能念一下你在1943年6月29日的备忘录吗?
[1:19:20] “Results of surveillance conducted on subject “对目标进行监视的结果
[1:19:22] “indicate further possible Communist Party connections.” “进一步表明可能与共产党有联系”
[1:19:25] “Subject met with and spent considerable time with one Jean Tatlock, “目标与一个叫琼·塔特洛克的人见面并待了相当长一段时间
[1:19:28] “a communist, the record of whom is attached.” “一个共产主义者 记录附后”
[1:19:31] -The subject being Dr. Oppenheimer? -Yes. -“目标”是指奥本海默博士吗? -是的
[1:19:33] -Whom you had not met? -Not then, but soon after. -你没见过他? -那时没有 但很快就见到了
[1:19:37] He’s the head of security for the project. Shouldn’t I know him? 他是这个项目的安全主管 我应该认识他吗?
[1:19:39] No, he should know you. 不 他应该认识你
[1:19:41] I would never put you in a room with Pash. 我绝不会让你和帕什待在同一间房子里
[1:19:43] Why not? 为什么?
[1:19:44] When Pash first heard about Lomanitz, 当帕什第一次听说洛马尼茨时
[1:19:46] he told the FBI he was going to kidnap him, 他对联邦调查局说他要绑架他
[1:19:49] take him out on a boat, 带他上船出海
[1:19:51] and interrogate him in the Russian manner. 用俄国人的方式审问他
[1:19:57] General Groves has placed in me a certain responsibility, 格罗夫斯将军赋予了我一定的职责
[1:19:59] and it’s like having a child who I can’t see, by remote control. 就像通过遥控器和一个我看不见的孩子打交道
[1:20:05] So to actually meet you is… 所以真正见到本人……
[1:20:08] -I won’t take up too much of your time. -Oh, no. -我不会占用你太多时间 -哦 不
[1:20:10] Not at all. Whatever time you choose. 一点也不 随你奉陪
[1:20:13] Mr. Johnson told me of the conversation you had yesterday, 约翰逊先生告诉我你们昨天的谈话
[1:20:15] which I’m very interested in. It’s had me worried all day. 我很感兴趣 这让我担心了一整天
[1:20:19] Yes, well, I didn’t want to talk to Lomanitz without authorization. 是的 好吧 我不想在未经授权的情况下和洛马尼茨谈话
[1:20:22] That’s not the particular interest that I have. 这不是我特别感兴趣的
[1:20:24] It’s something a little bit more… 头绪变得有点多……
[1:20:27] In my opinion, more serious. 在我看来 更严重了
[1:20:29] And then when the FBI pointed out 然后当联邦调查局指出
[1:20:30] that such information wouldn’t be admissible in court, 这样的信息是不会被法庭采纳的
[1:20:33] Pash made it clear he had no intention 帕什拍胸脯保证 他绝不会
[1:20:35] of leaving any witness left to prosecute. 留下任何证人给人起诉
[1:20:37] Now, the FBI talked him down, but that’s the man you’re dancing with. 后来 联邦调查局总算说服了他 但他就是你的影子
[1:20:41] I gather you’ve heard there are other parties 我想你已经听说了还有其他政党
[1:20:43] interested in the work of the radiation lab? 也对辐射实验室的工作感兴趣吧?
[1:20:46] A man attached to the Soviet consul indicated, 一个和苏联领事有关系的人说
[1:20:51] through intermediate people, to people on this project, 这个项目里的人 通过他作中间人
[1:20:55] that he was in a position to transmit information. 能够传递一些信息
[1:20:58] Well, why would anyone on the project want to do that? 为什么这个项目里的人要这么做?
[1:21:02] Frankly, I can see that there might be an argument for the Commander-in-Chief 坦率地说 我认为总司令通知俄罗斯人是有道理的
[1:21:06] informing the Russians, they’re our allies, after all, but… 毕竟他们是我们的盟友 但是……
[1:21:09] I don’t like the idea of it going out the back door. 我不喜欢偷偷摸摸的想法
[1:21:12] It might not hurt to be on the lookout for it. 留意一下也许没什么坏处
[1:21:16] And you said that to Pash. 你对帕什也这么说
[1:21:17] I was trying to put it in the context of “Russia’s not Germany”. 我试图把整件事置于“俄国不是德国”的背景下
[1:21:22] Boris Pash is the son of a Russian Orthodox bishop. 鲍里斯・帕什是俄国东正教主教的儿子
[1:21:26] Born here, but in 1918 he went back to Russia to fight the Bolsheviks. 他出生在这里 但1918年他返回俄国与布尔什维克作战
[1:21:31] This is a man who has killed communists with his own hands. 这是一个与共产党不共戴天的仇人
[1:21:34] I’m not the judge of who should or should not have information. 谁该知道谁不该知道 我说了不算
[1:21:37] It’s my business to stop it from going through illegally. 我的职责就是阻止它非法传出去
[1:21:40] Could you be a little more specific? 你能说得再具体点吗?
[1:21:44] There’s a man whose name was mentioned to me, a couple of times, Eltenton. 有个人的名字被提到过好几次 埃尔坦登
[1:21:50] I believe he’s a chemist who works at Shell. 我相信他是在壳牌公司工作的化学家
[1:21:53] He talked to a friend of his, 他和他的一个朋友聊天
[1:21:56] who’s an acquaintance of someone on the project. 他朋友是这个项目里某个人的熟人
[1:22:01] And you thought Pash would be satisfied with that? 你觉得帕什会对此满意吗?
[1:22:03] I was attempting to give them Eltenton without opening a can of worms. 我试图给他们埃尔坦登 同时又避免捅出大篓子
[1:22:07] I told them a cock-and-bull story. 我给他们编了个荒唐的故事
[1:22:09] -Did you lie to General Groves, too? -No. -你也对格罗夫斯将军撒谎了吗? -没有
[1:22:12] I admitted to him that I’d lied to Pash. 我向他承认我对帕什撒谎了
[1:22:14] Do you recall this conversation about the Chevalier incident? 你还记得这次关于舍瓦利耶事件的谈话吗?
[1:22:18] I’ve seen so many versions of it, uh… 我看过很多版本 呃……
[1:22:21] Wasn’t confused before, but I’m certainly getting there now. 以前没搞混 但现在肯定搞混了
[1:22:24] -And what was your conclusion? -That he was under the influence -你的结论是什么? -他受影响太深
[1:22:27] of the typical American schoolboy attitude 典型的美国男生态度
[1:22:30] that there’s something wicked about telling on a friend. 告发朋友是一件卑鄙龌龊的事情
[1:22:34] Well now, might we know through whom the contact was made? 现在 我们能知道联系人是谁吗?
[1:22:39] That would involve people who are not to be involved in this. 那会牵连到本不应涉及此事的人
[1:22:43] Is that someone a member of the project? 那个人是项目的成员吗?
[1:22:46] A member of the faculty, yes, but not in the project, no. 是的 一名教员 但不是这个项目的成员
[1:22:49] Ah… 啊……
[1:22:51] So Eltenton made his approach through a member of the faculty here at Berkeley. 所以埃尔坦登通过伯克利大学的一名教员进行接触
[1:22:58] As far as I know, as far as I know, yes. 据我所知 据我所知 是的
[1:23:00] But there… may have been… more than one person involved. 但是……可能有……不止一个人牵涉其中
[1:23:10] Gentlemen, if I… if I seem uncooperative, 先生们 如果我…… 如果我拒绝透露
[1:23:12] I think you can understand it’s because of my insistence 我希望你能理解这是因为我的原则
[1:23:15] on not getting innocent people into trouble. 不能让无辜的人陷入麻烦
[1:23:18] You’re trying to protect your friend. Who’s protecting you? 你想保护你的朋友 谁来保护你呢?
[1:23:21] Well, you could. 嗯 你啊
[1:23:23] -If you gave me the name… -If you order me to, I’ll do it. -如果你告诉我名字…… -如果你命令我 我会说的
[1:23:25] That’s a mistake, Robert. You need to volunteer this name. 这是个错误 罗伯特 你得主动提出这个名字
[1:23:30] Did he give you the name? 他告诉你名字了吗?
[1:23:31] -He did. -But not then, did he? -他说了 -但不是那时候 不是吗?
[1:23:33] -No. -No, in fact, -不 -不 实际上
[1:23:34] it was some months later, wasn’t it? 那是几个月后的事 对不对?
[1:23:36] It was. 是的
[1:23:37] -You see me as persistent. -Well, you are… -你觉得我很固执 -嗯 你是……
[1:23:40] you are persistent, but that is your job. 你是很固执 但那是你的职责
[1:23:42] And, and my job is to protect the people that work for me. 而 而我的职责就是保护我手下的人
[1:23:46] Instead of us going on certain steps, 在我们采取某种措施之前
[1:23:48] which may come to your attention… 你可能会注意到
[1:23:51] and be disturbing to you, 这些措施会让你感到不安
[1:23:53] I would like to discuss those with you first. 我想先和你讨论一下
[1:23:56] I’m not formulating a plan, I’ll just have to digest the whole thing. 我不是在制定计划 我只是要消化一下整件事情
[1:24:04] In the months in between your interview with Dr. Oppenheimer, 在你和奥本海默博士交谈后的几个月里
[1:24:07] and his eventual naming of Chevalier, did you expend resources trying to find 以及整件事最终被命名为“舍瓦利耶事件” 你有没有动用一切力量试图找出
[1:24:11] the name of the intermediary? -Considerable resources, yes. 中间人的名字? -动用一切力量 是的
[1:24:15] Without the name, our job was extremely difficult. 没有这个名字 我们的工作寸步难行
[1:24:18] -And when did you receive the name? -I was gone by the time Oppenheimer -你什么时候知道这个名字的? -那会我已经走了 奥本海默最终
[1:24:21] finally offered it up. -Gone? 提交的时候 -走了?
[1:24:23] They felt my time would be better spent in Europe, 他们觉得我待在欧洲更好
[1:24:25] determining the status of the Nazi bomb project. 调查纳粹原子弹计划的情况
[1:24:28] Who did? 谁干的?
[1:24:30] General Groves. 格罗夫斯将军
[1:24:32] He transferred me to London. 他把我调到了伦敦
[1:24:40] It’s a little early for a Christmas party. 现在开圣诞派对有点早吧
[1:24:42] Something’s up. 出事了
[1:24:44] Tolman’s been away. 托尔曼走了
[1:24:46] Where? 去哪儿?
[1:24:48] Ruth won’t tell. 鲁丝不会说的
[1:24:59] Come on, Ruthie. 说吧 鲁丝
[1:25:00] If you can’t tell me, who can you tell? 如果你不告诉我 你能告诉谁?
[1:25:03] Compartmentalization, Oppie. 分隔化管理 奥比
[1:25:06] What makes you think I know where he is, anyway? 你凭什么认为我知道他在哪?
[1:25:08] Because you do a pretty good job 因为你做得很好
[1:25:09] of knowing where Mr. Tolman is when it counts. 在关键时刻知道 托尔曼先生在哪里
[1:25:12] Like now? 就像现在?
[1:25:13] Attention! 立正!
[1:25:20] Early Christmas present for you all. 提前给你们准备了圣诞礼物
[1:25:30] The British pilot put me in the bomb bay. 英国飞行员把我放进炸弹舱
[1:25:32] He showed me the oxygen, you know, but I messed it up. 他塞给我氧气罩 但我搞砸了
[1:25:36] Um, when they opened me up in Scotland, I was unconscious. 他们在苏格兰给我开刀的时候 我昏迷过去
[1:25:39] But I pretended I’d been napping. 但我假装睡着了
[1:25:42] Please enjoy your party. 祝大家玩得开心
[1:25:44] -Is it big enough? -To end the war? -够大吗? -为了结束战争?
[1:25:48] To end all war. 结束一切战争
[1:25:53] Uh, Heisenberg sought me out in Copenhagen. 呃 海森堡来哥本哈根找我
[1:25:58] It was chilling, my old student working for the Nazis. 我以前的学生为纳粹工作 真教人不寒而栗
[1:26:01] He told me some things to draw me out. 他透露我一些事情想吸引我
[1:26:06] Sustained fission reactions in uranium. 铀的持续裂变反应
[1:26:09] That sounds more like a reactor than a bomb. 听起来更像是反应堆而不是原子弹
[1:26:11] Did he mention gaseous diffusion? 他提到气体扩散法了吗?
[1:26:13] He seemed more focused on heavy water. 他似乎更专注于重水
[1:26:16] -As a moderator? -Yes, instead of graphite. -作为减速剂? -是的 而不是石墨
[1:26:22] What? 怎么了?
[1:26:23] He took a wrong turn. 他拐错弯道
[1:26:25] We’re ahead. 我们领先了
[1:26:27] And with you here to help us, Niels… 有你在这里帮助我们 尼尔斯……
[1:26:28] Sorry, could you give us a moment, gentlemen? 抱歉 能让我们单独谈谈吗 先生们?
[1:26:39] I am not here to help, Robert. 我不是来帮忙的 罗伯特
[1:26:41] I knew you could do this without me. 我知道没有我你也能成功
[1:26:43] -Then why did you come? -To talk about after. -那你为什么来? -以后再说
[1:26:46] The power you’re about to reveal will forever outlive the Nazis. 你即将释放的力量 纳粹毁灭后也将一直存在
[1:26:51] And the world is not prepared. 而这个世界还没有准备好
[1:26:53] “You can lift the stone without being ready for the snake that’s revealed.” “在你准备好对付蛇之前 千万不要搬开大石头”
[1:26:56] We have to make the politicians understand this isn’t a new weapon. 我们得让政客们明白这不是什么新武器
[1:27:00] It’s a new world. 这是一个新世界
[1:27:02] I’ll be out there doing what I can, but you… 我会尽我所能 但是你……
[1:27:05] You’re an American Prometheus. 你是美国的普罗米修斯
[1:27:08] The man who gave them the power to destroy themselves. 是你给他们毁灭自己的力量
[1:27:12] And they’ll respect that. 他们会尊重这一点
[1:27:14] Your work really begins. 你的工作才真正开始
[1:27:20] I’m sorry, Oppie, but there’s a call. 对不起 奥比 有电话找你
[1:27:25] From San Francisco. 来自旧金山
[1:27:33] Robert! 罗伯特!
[1:27:39] Robert? 罗伯特?
[1:27:40] Robert. 罗伯特
[1:27:42] Robert. 罗伯特
[1:27:43] God, what’s the matter? 天啊 怎么了?
[1:27:45] What happened? 发生了什么?
[1:27:48] Her father called. 她父亲打来电话
[1:27:50] He found her yesterday in the bath. 她把自己锁在浴室里
[1:27:53] Who? 谁?
[1:27:55] She’s taken pills. Left a note, not signed. 她吃了药 留下一张没有签名的字条
[1:28:00] She took barbiturates, but there was chloral hydrate in her blood. 她服用了巴比妥类药物 但血液里有水合氯醛
[1:28:07] There was a note. 有张纸条
[1:28:08] Jean Tatlock? 琼·塔特洛克?
[1:28:16] We were together. 我们相爱过
[1:28:18] She said she needed me. I… 她说她需要我
[1:28:23] I told her I… 我告诉她我……
[1:28:24] I wouldn’t… 我不能……
[1:28:26] I told her I… 我告诉她我……
[1:28:28] No, it was me, it was me. 不 是我 是我
[1:28:32] You don’t get to commit the sin 你不能认罪
[1:28:34] and then have us all feel sorry for you that it had consequences. 让我们都为你感到难过 这样后果不堪设想
[1:28:41] Now you pull yourself together. 你一定要振作起来
[1:28:47] You know, people here depend on you. 明白吗 这里的人都需要你
[1:28:51] Donald, would you like to contribute here? 唐纳德 做点有用的事情好吗?
[1:28:53] -Please, help me out. -You’re on your own, pal. -拜托 帮帮我 -你得靠自己 伙计
[1:28:54] Bob, I’m not quitting my job because plutonium is radioactive. 鲍勃 我不会因为钚有放射性就辞职的
[1:28:57] We just don’t know what it might do 我们只是不知道它会导致什么
[1:28:59] to the female reproductive system. -Your reproductive system 进入女性生殖系统 -你的生殖系统
[1:29:02] is more exposed than mine, presumably. -Can we please? 可能比我的暴露程度更高 -我们可以吗?
[1:29:05] -The implosion device is nowhere. -We can’t rush everything. Oppie, please. -内爆装置来不及了 -我们不能急于求成 奥比 拜托
[1:29:08] Well, there’s rushing and there’s getting on with it, so pick one. 既要赶时间 又要做得好 只能二选一
[1:29:11] Wait, wait, wait. Neddermeyer is doing his job. 等等 等等 等等 尼德迈尔在埋头苦干
[1:29:13] Teller’s not helping. You’re not helping. 泰勒没帮上忙 你也不帮忙
[1:29:15] I’ve been asking for calculations on the implosion lenses for weeks. 几周来我一直在问内爆透镜的计算结果
[1:29:18] -The British can do it. Fuchs. -Absolutely. -英国人能做到 福克斯 -当然
[1:29:21] -It’s your job, Teller. -I’m engaged in research. -这是你的工作 泰勒 -我在做研究
[1:29:24] On a hydrogen bomb we’re not even building! 我们根本就没在造氢弹!
[1:29:35] I won’t work with that man. 我不会和那个人合作的
[1:29:36] Oh. Let him go. 哦 让他走
[1:29:39] -He’s a prima donna! -I agree. -他是个自命不凡的娘炮! -同意
[1:29:41] -He should leave Los Alamos. -Okay. -他应该离开洛斯阿拉莫斯 -好的
[1:29:44] Kisti, you replace Neddermeyer. Seth, I’m putting you on plutonium. 科斯基 你代替尼德迈尔 塞斯 我把你放在钚小组
[1:29:47] Lilli, you go on for Kisti, because he needs you. 莉莉 你去跟科斯基 因为他需要你
[1:29:51] Fuchs, you take Teller’s role. 福克斯 你接替泰勒的角色
[1:29:52] I’m putting you exclusively on the implosion device. 我让你专门负责内爆装置
[1:29:55] And no one is leaving Los Alamos. 没人能离开洛斯阿拉莫斯
[1:30:13] -They won’t let me leave! -No, I won’t let you leave. -他们不让我走! -不 我不会让你走的
[1:30:18] Forget Hans, forget fission. 忘了汉斯 忘了裂变
[1:30:21] Stay here, research what you want. 留在这里 研究你想要的东西
[1:30:24] Fusion, the hydrogen bomb, whatever. 核聚变 氢弹什么的
[1:30:26] -We’ll meet to discuss it. -You don’t have time to meet. -我们会见面讨论的 -你没时间见我
[1:30:29] You’re a politician now, Robert. You’ve left physics behind many, many years ago. 你现在是个政客 罗伯特 你已经把物理学抛在脑后很多很多年了
[1:30:34] Once a week. 一周一次
[1:30:36] One hour, you and me. 一个小时 你和我
[1:30:44] Now raise this fucking barrier! 现在升起这该死的路障!
[1:30:51] 那么氢弹是你在洛斯阿拉莫斯监督开发的? So the氢弹was under development on your watch at Los Alamos?
[1:30:54] Yes. 是的
[1:30:56] And yet, after the war, you tried to deny it was viable. 然而 在战后 你试图否认它的可行性
[1:30:59] No, no, no. I pointed out technical difficulties with it. 不 不 不 我只是指出它在技术上的困难
[1:31:03] Didn’t you try to kill it at the AEC meeting 你不是想在原子能委员会会议上扼杀它吗
[1:31:04] after the Russian bomb test? -No. -在俄国原子弹试验之后? -没有
[1:31:06] But that was the recommendation of the AEC, was it not? 这是原子能委员会的建议 不是吗?
[1:31:09] After hours of discussion about the best response. 在讨论了几个小时的最佳应对之后
[1:31:13] An H-bomb is 1,000 times the power of an A-bomb. 氢弹的威力是原子弹的1000倍
[1:31:19] Its only intended target would be the largest cities. 它唯一的目标是最大的城市
[1:31:23] -It’s a weapon of mass genocide. -Izzy. -这是大规模种族灭绝的武器 -伊兹
[1:31:25] Draw some circles on this side of the map, 在地图的这一边画一些圆圈
[1:31:27] where they would target us, starting with New York. 他们的目标是我们 从纽约开始
[1:31:30] -That’s fair. -D.C. -很公平 -华盛顿特区
[1:31:31] It’s a weapon of attack with no defensive value. 这是一种攻击性武器 没有任何防御作用
[1:31:34] -Deterrence. -Deterrence? -威慑 -威慑?
[1:31:35] Do we really need more deterrence than our current arsenal of atomic bombs? 我们真的需要比我们目前的原子弹武器库更多的威慑吗?
[1:31:39] You, you drown in ten feet of water or 10,000, what’s the difference? 你 你淹死在10英尺深的水里还是一万英尺深的水里 有什么区别?
[1:31:44] We can already drown Russia. They know it… 我们已经可以淹没俄国了 他们知道……
[1:31:46] -Now they can drown us with… -We’re just escalating… -现在他们也可以淹没我们…… -我们只是在升级……
[1:31:59] As I said, Teller’s designs are still as impractical as they were during the war. 正如我所说 泰勒的设计和战时一样不切实际
[1:32:04] A hydrogen bomb can be made to work, Oppie. You know that. 氢弹是可行的 奥比 你懂的
[1:32:07] I don’t believe we should commit all our resources to that chance. 我不建议我们应该把所有的资源都用在这上面
[1:32:10] Then how would you have Truman reassure the American people? 那你怎么让杜鲁门安抚美国人民呢?
[1:32:13] Simply by limiting the spread of atomic weapons 只需限制原子武器的扩散
[1:32:15] through international control on nuclear energy. 通过对核能的国际管制
[1:32:18] By which you mean world government. 你是说世界政府
[1:32:20] The United Nations, as Roosevelt intended. 联合国 正如罗斯福所希望的那样
[1:32:23] Well, I asked what Truman should do, right? The world’s changed. 嗯 我是问杜鲁门该怎么办 对吧?世界变了
[1:32:27] It’s not fascism but communism that now threatens our survival. 威胁我们生存的不是法西斯主义 而是共产主义
[1:32:31] Lewis, do you understand, if we build a hydrogen bomb, 刘易斯 你明白吗 如果我们制造氢弹
[1:32:34] the Russians will have no choice but to build their own? 俄国人将别无选择 只能建造自己的?
[1:32:37] Could they be working on one already? 他们不是正在做吗?
[1:32:38] Based on information gathered from the spy at Los Alamos… 根据从洛斯阿拉莫斯的间谍那里得到的信息……
[1:32:41] -No spy at Los Alamos. -Gentlemen… -洛斯阿拉莫斯没有间谍 -先生们……
[1:32:43] -There wasn’t? -Let’s not get sidetracked. -没有吗? -我们不要跑题
[1:32:46] I say we use this moment to gain concessions from the Russians 我觉得我们应该利用这个机会让俄国人让步
[1:32:48] by committing that we will not build a hydrogen bomb. 通过承诺我们不会制造氢弹
[1:32:51] Thereby revealing its existence. 那就会暴露它的存在
[1:32:53] Which you seem convinced they already know. 你似乎确信他们已经知道了
[1:32:55] Alright. 好吧
[1:32:57] At this point, I’d like the committee members to meet in privacy 现在 我希望委员会成员能私下交流
[1:33:00] to finalize our recommendations. 最终确定我们的建议
[1:33:04] I’m just not sure you want to go down this route. 我只是不确定你是否想走这条路
[1:33:06] Lewis, with respect, we are the advisory committee. 刘易斯 恕我直言 我们是顾问委员会
[1:33:08] We will give them our advice. 我们会给他们我们的建议
[1:33:10] Good night. 晚安
[1:33:15] Dr. Oppenheimer? Hi. 奥本海默博士? 你好
[1:33:18] William Borden. Joint Committee on Atomic Energy. 我是威廉·博登 原子能联合委员会的
[1:33:21] Oh, yes, yes. 哦 是的 是的
[1:33:22] During the war, I was a pilot. 战争期间 我是个飞行员
[1:33:25] One night, flying back from a raid, I saw an amazing sight. 一天晚上 我从一次袭击中返航 看到了令人惊讶的一幕
[1:33:30] Like a meteor. A V2 rocket headed to England. 一枚V2火箭 像流星一样飞向英格兰
[1:33:34] I can’t help but imagine what it will be 我忍不住想象 如果这枚敌人的火箭携带原子弹头
[1:33:36] for such an enemy rocket to carry an atomic warhead. 将会发生什么
[1:33:50] Let’s make sure we’re not the ones to make that possible. 我们将确保不是我们让这一切成为可能
[1:33:58] Oppie, I don’t think you want to go up against Strauss. 奥比 我觉得你不该和施特劳斯较劲
[1:34:01] If we both speak, they listen to me. 如果大家都表态 他们就会听我的
[1:34:04] When you speak, they hear a prophet. When Strauss speaks, they hear themselves. 你说话时 他们听到的是先知 施特劳斯说话时 他们听到的是自己
[1:34:08] They’ll listen to a prophet. 他们会听先知的话
[1:34:10] A prophet can’t be wrong. Not once. 先知不会错 一次也不会
[1:34:13] Did you accuse Oppenheimer of sabotaging the development of the Super? 你有没有指控奥本海默破坏了氢弹的研发?
[1:34:17] I was never one of those to bandy around terms like sabotage. 我从来不是那种喜欢搞阴谋诡计的人
[1:34:21] -But Mr. Borden was? -As I understand it, possibly. -但博登先生是? -据我所知 有可能
[1:34:25] How was Mr. Borden able to put together such a detailed indictment? 博登先生是如何写出这么详细的起诉书的?
[1:34:29] He was no longer a government employee, yet he appears to have had 他不再是政府雇员了 但他似乎
[1:34:31] unlimited access to Dr. Oppenheimer’s file. 仍然可以访问奥本海默博士的档案
[1:34:34] Might Mr. Nichols have given him access to the file? 尼科尔斯先生有没有可能给他看文件的权限?
[1:34:37] Or someone else at the AEC? 还是原子能委员会的人?
[1:34:39] That’s a very serious accusation, Senator. 这是非常严重的指控 参议员
[1:34:42] Is it your intention to suggest 你是不是想说
[1:34:43] that Dr. Oppenheimer is disloyal to the United States? 奥本海默博士对美国不忠?
[1:34:47] I’ve always assumed, and still assume, that he’s loyal to the United States. 我始终认为 并且现在仍然认为他忠于美国
[1:34:52] I believe this, and I shall believe it, 我相信 我也会一直相信
[1:34:53] until I see very conclusive proof to the opposite. 除非我看到相反的确凿证据
[1:34:56] Do you or do you not believe that Dr. Oppenheimer is a security risk? 你是否相信奥本海默博士存在安全风险?
[1:35:09] If I may, look, when Hitler blew his brains out in that bunker, 容我说一句 希特勒在地堡里自爆以后
[1:35:12] it is my humble opinion that there is no need 我个人认为没有必要
[1:35:15] for that bomb to be seen anywhere except that test site. 除了那个试验场 原子弹在任何地方都不该使用
[1:35:18] Well, we at least have to take a moment to think about 我觉得 我们至少得花点时间想想
[1:35:20] whether the means justify the ends any longer because… 目的正义是否就意味着手段正义 因为……
[1:35:27] Germany is about to surrender. 德国就要投降了
[1:35:31] It’s no longer the enemy who are the greatest threat to mankind. 对人类最大的威胁不再是敌人
[1:35:35] It’s our work. 而是我们的工作
[1:35:38] Hitler’s dead. It’s true. 确实 希特勒死了
[1:35:43] But the Japanese fight on. 但日本还在负隅顽抗
[1:35:45] Their defeat seems assured. 看来他们必败无疑
[1:35:47] Not if you’re a G.I. preparing to invade. 除非你准备派军队入侵
[1:35:50] We can end this war. 我们可以结束这场战争
[1:35:52] But how do we justify using this weapon on human beings? 但我们如何证明对人类使用这种武器是正当的呢?
[1:35:58] We’re theorists. Yes? 我们是理论家 不是吗?
[1:36:03] We imagine a future, and our imaginings horrify us. 我们想象未来 而我们的想象让我们感到恐惧
[1:36:08] They won’t fear it until they understand it, 直到世人看见它 他们才会害怕它
[1:36:10] and they won’t understand it until they’ve used it. 直到我们使用它 世人才会看见它
[1:36:13] When the world learns the terrible secret of Los Alamos, 当全世界都知道洛斯阿拉莫斯可怕的秘密时
[1:36:17] our work here will ensure a peace mankind has never seen. 我们在这里的工作将开启人类史上一个崭新的和平
[1:36:21] A peace based on the kind of international cooperation 建立在国际合作基础上的和平
[1:36:24] that Roosevelt always envisaged. 罗斯福总统一直梦寐以求的和平
[1:36:31] -Progress? -Two years and a billion dollars’ worth. -进展如何? -两年 花了十亿美元
[1:36:35] -Hard to put a price on it. -Not really, just add up the bills. -很难用金钱来衡量 -不 只是把账单加起来
[1:36:38] Rural free deliveries. 80 babies delivered the first year. 都快成野战孕妇营地了 第一年出生80个婴儿
[1:36:43] This year we’ve had ten, a month. 今年我们一个月就有十个
[1:36:45] Birth control is a little out of my jurisdiction, General. 节育有点超出我的能力范围啊 将军
[1:36:49] -Clearly. -General. -显而易见 -将军
[1:36:56] Head down, everybody. Fuchs, head down. 大家低头 福克斯 低头
[1:37:06] That’s the one! 就是这个!
[1:37:08] Two viable bombs. 两枚可用的炸弹
[1:37:10] I need a date. 给我个时间
[1:37:13] September. 九月
[1:37:15] July. 七月
[1:37:16] That’s the sweet spot, gentlemen. 这次爆破完美 先生们
[1:37:18] August. 八月
[1:37:20] July. 七月
[1:37:22] Tests in July. 七月份测试
[1:37:24] But I need my brother. 但我需要我弟弟
[1:37:29] Frank knows the desert. He’s left politics behind. 弗兰克了解沙漠 他早把政治抛在脑后了
[1:37:32] He’s been working with Lawrence for two years now. 他已经和劳伦斯共事两年
[1:37:41] What do we call the test? 这次测试叫什么?
[1:37:44] “Batter my heart, “敲打我心
[1:37:46] “three-person’d God.” “圣父、圣子、圣灵”
[1:37:48] What? 什么?
[1:37:50] Trinity. 三位一体
[1:37:59] You insisted on bringing on your brother Frank, a known communist. 你坚持要带上你弟弟弗兰克 一个著名的共产党员
[1:38:03] Former communist. 前共产党员
[1:38:05] You brought a known former communist… 你让一个著名的前共产主义者 进入……
[1:38:07] onto America’s most secret and important defense project. 美国最机密最重要的国防项目
[1:38:10] I knew my brother could be trusted. Absolutely. 我知道我弟弟是可以信任的 绝对可以
[1:38:14] And you thought your judgment was sound on who on the team could be trusted? 你觉得你对团队中谁可以信任的判断是正确的吗?
[1:38:18] Fuchs, head down. 福克斯 低头
[1:38:19] Okay. Everybody ready? 好了 都准备好了吗?
[1:38:30] -I hope you learned something. -Yeah, we’ve learned we’re gonna need -我希望你学到些东西 -是的 我们已经知道我们需要
[1:38:33] to be a lot further away. -Well, figure it out, fast. 一个更远的地方 -好吧 快点想办法
[1:38:36] We leave for Washington in the morning. We’re going to give him a date. 我们明早去华盛顿 我们要给他们个准信
[1:38:54] You’re a long way from Chicago, Leo. 大老远从芝加哥来啊 利奥
[1:38:56] If we don’t act now, they’re going to use this thing against Japan. 如果我们现在不行动 他们就会用这东西对付日本
[1:38:59] We booked a meeting with Truman, but somebody killed it. 我们和杜鲁门预约见面 但被人取消了
[1:39:02] You’re meeting the Secretary of War. 你要去见战争部长
[1:39:04] Just because we’re building it, doesn’t mean we get to decide how it’s used. 就因为是我们制造的 并不意味着我们可以决定如何使用它
[1:39:09] History will judge us, Robert. 历史将审评我们 罗伯特
[1:39:12] In Chicago, we put together a petition. 在芝加哥 我们起草了一份请愿书
[1:39:15] I’m not… I’m not getting into this. 我不……我不想参与这个
[1:39:21] Just tell me your concerns, and I’ll relate them. 只要告诉我你的担忧 我会传达的
[1:39:23] My concerns? Germany’s defeated. 我的担忧? 德国战败了
[1:39:26] Japan’s not going to hold out alone. 日本独木难支
[1:39:28] How could you know that? You got us into this. 你怎么知道? 是你把我们牵扯进来的
[1:39:30] You and Einstein, with your letter to Roosevelt saying we could build a bomb. 你和爱因斯坦 还有你给罗斯福写信说我们可以制造原子弹
[1:39:33] Against Germany. 那是对付德国
[1:39:35] That’s not how weapons manufacture works, Szilard. 制造武器可不管这些 西拉德
[1:39:38] Oppie, you have to help. 奥比 你得帮帮我
[1:39:39] Fermi’s in the meeting. Lawrence is in the meeting. 费米参加会议 劳伦斯参加会议
[1:39:41] They’re not you. You’re the great salesman of science. 他们不是你 你是伟大的科学推销员
[1:39:44] You can convince anyone of anything. 你可以说服任何人相信任何事
[1:39:47] Even yourself. 甚至是你自己
[1:39:49] Excuse me. 不好意思
[1:39:52] The firestorm in Tokyo killed 100,000 people, mostly civilians. 东京大火造成10万人死亡 其中大部分是平民
[1:39:58] I worry about America when we do these things and no one protests. 当我们做这些事情时却没有人抗议 我开始担心美国
[1:40:01] Pearl Harbor, and three years of brutal conflict in the Pacific, 珍珠港事件 以及三年来太平洋地区的残酷杀戮
[1:40:04] buys a lot of latitude with the American public. 给了我们在美国公众心目中极大的自由
[1:40:07] Enough to unleash the atomic bomb? 足以投掷原子弹吗?
[1:40:09] Uh, the A-bomb might not cause as much damage as the Tokyo bombings. 原子弹造成的破坏可能没有轰炸东京那么严重
[1:40:13] What are we estimating? 我们估计如何?
[1:40:14] In a medium-sized city, uh… 在一个中等规模的城市 呃……
[1:40:17] 20,000 or 30,000 dead. 死亡两三万人
[1:40:19] Yes, but don’t underestimate 是的 但是不可低估
[1:40:21] the psychological impact of an atomic explosion. 原子弹爆炸的心理影响
[1:40:25] A pillar of fire, 10,000 feet tall, 一个烈焰冲天的万丈火柱
[1:40:29] deadly neutron effects for a mile, 一英里范围内致命的中子效应
[1:40:31] in all directions, from one single device. 从一台装置向四面八方扩散
[1:40:35] Dropped from a barely-noticed B-29, the atomic bomb will be… 从一架毫不起眼的B-29轰炸机上投下 原子弹将是……
[1:40:40] a terrible revelation of divine power. 神圣力量的末日启示
[1:40:43] If that’s true, it would be definitive. 如果你说的是真的 那就确凿无疑了
[1:40:46] World War II would be over. 第二次世界大战就此结束
[1:40:48] Our boys would come home. 我们的孩子将会回家
[1:40:50] Military targets? 攻击目标呢?
[1:40:52] But there aren’t any big enough. 如果没有足够大的城市
[1:40:54] Perhaps a vital war plant, 也可以选一个重要的兵工厂
[1:40:57] with workers housed nearby. 工人们住在附近
[1:41:00] And we could issue a warning to reduce civilian casualties. 我们可以发出警告 减少平民伤亡
[1:41:03] They’d send everything they have up against us, 他们会不惜一切代价对付我们
[1:41:05] and I’d be up in that plane. 甚至打落每一架飞机
[1:41:07] If we announce it, and it fails to go off, 如果我们宣布了 但没有成功
[1:41:10] we’d scupper any chance of a Japanese surrender. 反而会激起日本战争的气焰
[1:41:13] Is there no way to demonstrate a bomb to Japan to provoke surrender? 难道没有办法向日本展示原子弹来导致投降吗?
[1:41:18] We intend to demonstrate it in the most unambiguous terms. 我们打算用最无可争辩的事实来宣布这一点
[1:41:21] Twice. 两次
[1:41:22] Once to show the weapon’s power, 一次为了展示武器的威力
[1:41:24] and a second to show that we can keep doing this until they surrender. 第二次证明我们可以一直这么做直到他们投降
[1:41:28] We have a list of 12 cities to choose from. 我们有12座城市可供选择
[1:41:31] Sorry, 11. 对不起 11座
[1:41:33] I’ve taken Kyoto off the list, 我已经把京都从名单上划掉了
[1:41:35] due to its cultural significance to the Japanese people. 鉴于它对日本人民的文化意义
[1:41:39] Also, my wife and I honeymooned there. 还有 我和我妻子在那里度蜜月
[1:41:41] It’s a magnificent city. 这是一座美丽绝伦的城市
[1:41:47] Let me make this simple for you, gentlemen. 让我把事情简单化 先生们
[1:41:48] According to my intelligence, which I cannot share with you, 根据我不能告诉你们的情报
[1:41:51] the Japanese people will not surrender, 日本人无论如何
[1:41:53] under any circumstances, 不会投降
[1:41:55] short of a successful and total invasion of the home islands. 除非能成功彻底地占领本岛
[1:41:59] Many lives would be lost, American and Japanese. 许多人将失去生命 包括美国人和日本人
[1:42:02] The use of the atomic bomb on Japanese cities will save lives. 在日本城市使用原子弹将拯救生命
[1:42:06] If we retain moral advantage. 如果我们保持道德优势
[1:42:09] -How so? -Well, if we use this weapon -为什么这么说? -一旦我们使用这个武器
[1:42:10] without informing our allies, they’ll see it as a threat, 而不通知我们的盟友 他们会将其视为威胁
[1:42:13] and we’ll be in an arms race. 我们就会陷入军备竞赛
[1:42:14] How open can we be with the Soviets? 我们能对苏联人开诚布公吗?
[1:42:16] Secrecy won’t stop the Soviets from becoming part of the atomic world. 保密不会阻止苏联加入原子俱乐部
[1:42:21] -We’ve been told they have no uranium. -You’ve been misinformed. -我们被告知他们没有铀 -你们被误导了
[1:42:24] A Russian bomb is a matter of time. 俄国拥有原子弹只是时间问题
[1:42:26] The program needs to continue at full pace after the war. 战后这个项目需要全速推进
[1:42:30] Secretary Simpson, if I may, 辛普森部长 容我说一句
[1:42:32] not all scientists on the project are in agreement. 并非所有参与该项目的科学家都意见一致
[1:42:36] In fact, this might be a moment to consider other opinions. 事实上 现在可能是考虑其他意见的时候了
[1:42:39] -If you talk to scientists… -The Manhattan Project has been plagued -如果你和科学家谈谈…… -曼哈顿计划陷入困境
[1:42:42] from the start by certain scientists of… 从某些科学家开始……
[1:42:45] doubtful discretion, and uncertain loyalty. 他们有着令人怀疑的谨慎和摇摆不定的忠诚
[1:42:47] One of ’em just tried to meet with the President. 其中一位刚刚试图与总统见面
[1:42:49] Now, we need these men, 现在 我们需要这些人
[1:42:51] but as soon as it’s practical, 但一旦实现了
[1:42:53] we should sever any such scientists from the program. 我们应该把任何这样的科学家从这个项目中除名
[1:42:55] Wouldn’t you agree, Doctor? 你同意吗 博士?
[1:42:58] If a Russian bomb is inevitable, 如果俄国的原子弹不可避免
[1:43:00] perhaps we should invite their top scientist to Trinity. 也许我们应该邀请他们的顶尖科学家来三一学院
[1:43:03] President Truman has no intention of raising expectations 杜鲁门总统无意提高
[1:43:07] that Stalin be included in the atomic project. 人们对斯大林参与原子项目的期望
[1:43:10] Informing him of our breakthrough, 向他通报我们的突破
[1:43:11] and presenting it as a means to win the war, 并以此作为赢得战争的手段
[1:43:13] need not make unkeepable promises. 又不需要做出不可兑现的承诺
[1:43:15] But, the Potsdam Peace Conference in July 不过 七月份的波茨坦和平会议
[1:43:17] will be President Truman’s last chance to have that conversation. 将是杜鲁门总统进行这一对话的最后机会
[1:43:22] Can you give us a working bomb by then? 你能在那之前给我们一颗可用的原子弹吗?
[1:43:25] Absolutely. 绝对可以
[1:43:26] We will test fire before the conference. 我们将赶在会议开始前进行测试
[1:43:33] Ground zero. Observation posts 原爆点 观察哨
[1:43:35] at 10,000 yards, north, south, and west. 一万英尺外 北边 南边 西边
[1:43:39] -Where do we trigger from? -South, 10,000. -我们从哪里引爆? -南边 一万英尺
[1:43:42] And base camp is ten miles south here. 大本营在这儿以南十英里处
[1:43:46] And there’s a further observation post on that hill, 20 miles away. 20英里外的那座山上还有一个观察哨
[1:43:51] What’s that, Frank? Trigger lines already went in. 那是什么 弗兰克? 引爆线已经就位了
[1:43:54] The Air Force requested a line of lights for their B-29. 空军要求为他们的B-29飞机配备一排照明灯
[1:43:58] What B-29? Our bomb’s on the tower. 什么B- 29? 我们的炸弹在塔上
[1:44:00] They want to use the test 他们想利用这次测试
[1:44:01] to confirm a safe operating distance. -That’s risky. 确认安全操作距离 -太危险了
[1:44:04] But not as risky as dropping one over Japan, 总比不上在日本上空空投那么危险
[1:44:06] and hoping that we were right about the blast radius. 希望我们对爆炸半径的判断是正确的
[1:44:08] Don’t let ’em slow us down, we’re firing on the 15th. 别让他们拖慢我们的进度 我们将在15号测试
[1:44:10] -The 15th? That’s not… -The 15th. -15号? 那不是…… -15号
[1:44:14] 15th. 15号
[1:44:17] So I’ll be here at South Observation Point 我会守在南观察站
[1:44:19] with Frank and Kistiakowsky. 与弗兰克和基斯佳科夫斯基一起
[1:44:21] You’ll all be assigned to Base Camp, 你们都会安排到大本营
[1:44:24] West Observation, or Far Observation. 西观测站 或称远观测点
[1:44:36] Hey, whoa, whoa! Careful with that knife. 嘿 哇 小心那把刀
[1:44:42] Are those safe distances? 这些距离安全吗?
[1:44:44] They’re based on your calculations. 它们是根据你的计算得出的
[1:44:46] Time to stand behind your science, Hans. Literally. 是时候支持你的科学了 汉斯 真心的
[1:45:18] What about the radiation cloud? 辐射云怎样?
[1:45:20] Without high winds, it should settle within 2-3 miles. 如果没有强风 它应该会散落在2-3英里范围内
[1:45:23] Evacuation measures are in place. 疏散措施已就位
[1:45:25] But we need good weather for visibility, so it has to be fine. 但是我们需要好的天气来提高能见度 所以必须是晴天
[1:45:30] Everybody out! 所有人都出去!
[1:45:41] We go on the night of the 15th. It’s a hard deadline. 我们在15号晚上行动 剩下时间不多
[1:45:44] So if anyone has anything, speak now. 所以如果有人有什么事 请现在就说
[1:45:49] Okay, stop, stop! Everybody, mattresses. 好了 停下 停下! 所有人注意 上床垫
[1:45:51] Put the mattress there, underneath. 把床垫辅在下面
[1:46:10] We could use a final implosion test. 我们可以进行最后的内爆测试
[1:46:15] -It couldn’t hurt. -Do it. -又没什么坏处 -干吧
[1:46:19] Is there anything else that might stop us? 还有什么能阻止我们吗?
[1:46:56] It’s happening, isn’t it? 开始了 是吗?
[1:46:59] I’ll send a message. 我会发信息
[1:47:02] If it’s gone our way: 如果事情顺利
[1:47:05] “Take in the sheets.” “把床单收起来”
[1:47:10] Robert. 罗伯特
[1:47:14] Break a leg. 祝你成功
[1:47:28] Look. 看
[1:48:22] Oppie’s taken a very modest three kilotons. 奥比投注三千吨当量 非常稳健
[1:48:25] -20! -Teller’s view is 45. -20! -泰勒预测4万5千吨
[1:48:27] 20,000 tons of TNT. 有人押2万吨TNT当量
[1:48:30] And does anyone want the side action on atmospheric ignition? 没人想赌点燃大气层的副作用吗?
[1:48:35] Are you saying we’ll have to delay? 你是说我们必须推迟吗?
[1:48:37] I’m saying it would be prudent. 我是说这样做比较稳妥
[1:48:39] This weather, has it reached the site? 这种天气 已经到达现场了吗?
[1:48:46] Bethe is calling to tell you the implosion test failed. 贝斯打电话来告诉你内爆测试失败了
[1:48:48] Hello, Hans? Yes, he’s here. 喂 汉斯? 是的 他在这里
[1:48:52] Yes. 是的
[1:48:55] Is he wrong? 他错了吗?
[1:48:57] -No. -No? -没有 -没有?
[1:48:58] No. 没有
[1:49:00] So we’re about to fire a dud? 这枚炸弹很可能会是一枚哑弹?
[1:49:02] -No. -Explain! -不 -解释一下!
[1:49:03] Well, I can’t. I just, I… 嗯 我不能 我只是 我……
[1:49:05] I just know, I know the implosion lenses will work. 我只知道 我知道内爆会成功的
[1:49:07] If we fire these detonators and they don’t trigger a reaction, 如果我们发射这些引爆器而它们没有引发反应
[1:49:10] two years’ worth of plutonium will be scattered across White Sands. 两年生产的钚会散落在白沙上
[1:49:13] A month of my salary against ten bucks says it lights. 我用一个月的工资 和你赌十块钱 内爆能成功
[1:49:17] Oh, Jesus! 哦 上帝!
[1:49:25] The wind’s pickin’ up at zero, not the rain. Lightning’s circling. 原暴点有风 没有雨 电闪雷鸣
[1:49:29] Think it might be time to tell your men to get away 我想是时候让你的人离开了
[1:49:31] from the steel tower with the atomic bomb? 带着原子弹从钢铁塔里落荒而逃?
[1:49:37] Let’s get to South Observation. 我们去南观察站
[1:49:38] Pull ’em out, and we can make our determination there. 豁出来 我们能在那里下定决心
[1:49:47] The team hasn’t slept in two nights! 团队已经两夜没合眼了!
[1:49:49] If we stand down and make the bomb safe, we won’t be back here for weeks! 如果我们停止 确保炸弹安全 我们几个星期都回不来!
[1:49:52] And we’ll miss Potsdam! 我们会错过波茨坦的!
[1:49:54] I gotta get word to Truman by seven, our window’s closing. 我必须在七点前通知杜鲁门 留给我们的时间不多了
[1:49:57] -What is this doing? -Raining, blowing, lightning. -现在情况怎样? -暴雨 狂风 闪电
[1:49:59] -For how long, damnit? -Holdin’ strong! -还要多久 该死? -坚持住!
[1:50:02] It’ll break before dawn. 天亮前会好的
[1:50:03] -How could you know that? -I know this desert. -你怎么知道? -我了解这片沙漠
[1:50:05] Storm cools overnight. Just before dawn, storm breaks. 暴风雨持续一整夜 当黎明到来 就会转晴
[1:50:08] You could be right, 你可能是对的
[1:50:09] but schedule as late as possible. -Five-thirty. 但要尽可能安排晚一些 -五点半
[1:50:12] Sign your forecast. If you’re wrong, I’ll hang you. 同意你的预报 如果你错了 我就绞死你
[1:50:14] -Tell ’em all. Five-thirty. -Five-thirty, five-thirty! -告诉大家 五点半 -五点半 五点半!
[1:50:20] Three years, 4,000 people, two billion dollars. 三年 四千人 二十亿美元
[1:50:25] Well, if it doesn’t go off, 如果没有爆炸
[1:50:28] we’re both finished. 我们就完犊子了
[1:50:32] I’m betting on three kilotons. 我赌三千吨当量
[1:50:35] Anything less, they won’t get what it is. 做不到这一点 他们就不会明白它是什么
[1:50:37] Now, what did Fermi mean by, uh, atmospheric ignition? 费米所说的点燃大气层是什么意思?
[1:50:41] Well, we had a moment where it looked like the chain reaction 嗯 有那么一阵子 我们以为连锁反应似乎
[1:50:43] from an atomic device might never stop. 永远也不会停止
[1:50:47] Setting fire to the atmosphere. 燃烧了整个大气层
[1:50:49] Why’s Fermi still taking side bets on it? 为什么费米要拿这来赌?
[1:50:52] Call it gallows humor. 这叫黑色幽默
[1:50:57] Wait, are we saying there’s a chance that when we push that button, 等等 你是说当我们按下那个按钮
[1:51:02] we destroy the world? 我们可能会毁灭整个世界?
[1:51:03] Nothing in our research over three years supports that conclusion, 我们三年来的研究都不支持这个结论
[1:51:07] except as the most remote possibility. 可能性微乎其乎
[1:51:10] -How remote? -Chances are near-zero. -有多小? -可能性几乎为零
[1:51:14] Near-zero? 几乎为零?
[1:51:16] What do you want from theory alone? 这是理论 你还想怎样?
[1:51:20] Zero would be nice. 最好是零
[1:51:26] In exactly one hour… 正好一小时……
[1:51:29] and 58 minutes, we’ll know. 58分钟后 就见分晓了
[1:51:39] It’s letting up. 转睛了
[1:51:53] The arming party’s left zero, they’re heading this way. 武装部队已经撤离 他们朝这边来了
[1:51:55] Throw on your switches. 打开开关
[1:51:56] Turn the cars! Ready for emergency evacuation. 掉头 准备紧急疏散
[1:52:17] …welder’s glass. Everybody take their places. ……拿上焊工玻璃 大家各就各位
[1:52:21] Everybody take a welder’s glass! 每个人拿一块焊工玻璃!
[1:52:24] Everybody take a welder’s glass! 每个人拿一块焊工玻璃!
[1:53:18] 20 minutes. 20分钟
[1:53:23] 20 minutes! 20分钟!
[1:53:35] That’s 20! 还有20分钟!
[1:53:40] On the leg, please. 请放腿上
[1:53:43] -Feynman? -No. -费曼? -不
[1:53:45] The glass stops the UV. 玻璃可以阻挡紫外线
[1:53:48] What stops the glass? 那什么阻挡玻璃?
[1:53:51] I’m heading to base camp. 我要去大本营
[1:53:52] Best of luck. 祝你好运
[1:53:54] Robert? 罗伯特?
[1:53:57] Try not to blow up the world. 尽量不要炸毁世界
[1:54:10] Watch that needle. If the detonators don’t charge, 小心指针 如果雷管不充电
[1:54:13] and the voltage drops below one volt, 电压降到一伏以下
[1:54:15] you hit that button, you abort. Understood? 你就按下那个按钮 中止行动 明白吗?
[1:54:18] Understood. 明白
[1:54:26] Two minutes to detonation. 距离爆炸还有2分钟
[1:54:29] Everybody down! 所有人都趴下!
[1:54:31] Do not turn around until you see light reflected on the hills. 在看到山上的反射光前 不要转身
[1:54:35] Then look at the explosion only through your welder’s glass. 只能透过焊工玻璃看爆炸
[1:54:38] 90 seconds to detonation. 距离爆炸还有90秒
[1:54:42] 80 seconds to detonation. 距离爆炸还有80秒
[1:54:45] Is it rubbed in? 抹够了吗?
[1:54:47] Yeah. 够了
[1:54:55] 60 seconds to detonation. 距离爆炸还有60秒
[1:55:13] These things are hard on your heart. 等待才是最可怕的事情
[1:55:15] 30 seconds. 30秒
[1:55:22] Detonators charged! 雷管充电完毕!
[1:55:33] 17 17.
[1:55:35] 16 16.
[1:55:36] 15 15.
[1:55:38] 14 14.
[1:55:40] 13 13.
[1:55:42] 12 12.
[1:55:43] 11 11.
[1:55:45] Ten. 十
[1:55:47] Nine. 九
[1:55:49] Eight. 八
[1:55:52] Seven. 七
[1:55:54] Six. 六
[1:55:57] Five. 五
[1:56:00] Four. 四
[1:56:02] Three. 三
[1:56:05] Two. 二
[1:56:07] One. 一
[1:57:41] “And now I am become Death… “现在我成了死神……
[1:57:46] “the destroyer of worlds.” “世界的毁灭者”
[1:58:21] It worked. 成功了
[1:58:58] You owe me ten dollars! 你欠我十块钱!
[1:59:02] -Come on! -I… I’m good for it, Kisti. -快点! -我……认赌服输 科斯基
[1:59:05] You are! 你输了!
[1:59:07] Yes, you are! 是的 你输了!
[1:59:46] Get me Potsdam right away. 马上给我接波茨坦
[1:59:59] Get a message to Kitty. 给凯蒂带个口信
[2:00:01] -We can’t say anything. -Tell her to take in the sheets. -我们什么也不能说 -叫她把床单收起来
[2:00:19] -Hello? -Hi, Kitty? -喂? -嗨 凯蒂?
[2:00:21] What? What? Charlotte? Charlotte, go ahead. Go ahead. 什么? 什么? 夏洛特? 夏洛特 继续 继续
[2:00:24] Oh, um, well, I don’t know, 噢 嗯 好的 我不知道
[2:00:26] he just said to tell you to bring in the sheets. 他只是让你把床单收起来
[2:00:31] Kitty? 凯蒂?
[2:00:34] Kitty? Kitty, are you still there? 凯蒂? 凯蒂 你还在吗?
[2:00:44] If they detonate it too high in the air, the blast won’t be as powerful. 如果引爆的位置太高 爆炸的威力就会减弱
[2:00:47] With respect, Dr. Oppenheimer, we’ll take it from here. 恕我直言 奥本海默博士 接下来交给我们吧
[2:01:01] Did Truman brief Stalin at Potsdam? 杜鲁门在波茨坦向斯大林通报了吗?
[2:01:04] “Brief” would be an overstatement. 说“通报”有点夸张
[2:01:07] He referred to a powerful new weapon. 他提到了一种强大的新式武器
[2:01:11] Stalin… hoped we’d use it against Japan. 斯大林……希望我们用它来对付日本
[2:01:17] That’s it? 就这样?
[2:01:19] Robert, we’ve given them an ace. It’s for them to play the hand. 罗伯特 我们给了他们一张王牌 随他们玩
[2:01:24] You’re aiming for the sixth? 你的目标是六号?
[2:01:27] It’s up to the CO in the Pacific. 这取决于太平洋战区的指挥官
[2:01:30] Should I come with you to Washington? 我应该和你一起去华盛顿吗?
[2:01:34] What for? 做什么?
[2:01:37] Well, you keep me informed. 有消息随时通知我
[2:01:40] Of course. 当然
[2:01:43] As best I can. 尽我所能
[2:02:03] Would the Japanese surrender if they knew what was coming? 如果日本人知道即将发生的事 他们会投降吗?
[2:02:07] I don’t know. 我不知道
[2:02:11] Have you seen Szilard’s petition? 你看过西拉德的请愿书吗?
[2:02:13] How the hell does Szilard know about the Japanese? 西拉德怎么会了解日本人?
[2:02:15] You’re not signing it, are you? 你不会签吧?
[2:02:18] Many people have. A lot of people. 很多人都签了 很多人
[2:02:20] Edward… 爱德华……
[2:02:23] the fact that we built this bomb does not give us any more, 我们造了这个炸弹并不能给我们比其他人更多的信息
[2:02:25] any more right or responsibility 更多的权利和责任
[2:02:27] to decide how it’s used than anyone else. 来决定如何使用它
[2:02:30] But we’re the only people who know about it. 但我们是唯一知道这件事的人
[2:02:32] I’ve told Stimson the various opinions of the community. 我已经告诉史汀生 社区有各种意见
[2:02:35] But what’s your opinion? 但你的意见呢?
[2:02:38] Once it’s used… 一旦使用……
[2:02:40] nuclear war, perhaps… 也许 就是核战争……
[2:02:43] all war… 所有战争……
[2:02:45] becomes unthinkable. 变得难以想象
[2:02:47] Until somebody builds a bigger one. 直到有人造出一个更大的炸弹
[2:03:10] I thought they would call. 我以为他们会打电话来
[2:03:12] It’s only the fifth. 今天才5号
[2:03:16] In Japan, it’s the sixth. 在日本 现在6号了
[2:03:31] Charlotte? 夏洛特?
[2:03:34] Try Groves. 试试格罗夫斯
[2:03:37] Anything? 没有吗?
[2:03:40] -Charlotte? -Truman’s on the radio. -夏洛特? -杜鲁门在广播
[2:03:44] 16 hours ago, 16小时前
[2:03:47] an American airplane 一架美国飞机
[2:03:49] dropped one bomb on Hiroshima, 在广岛投下了一颗炸弹
[2:03:54] and destroyed its usefulness to the enemy. 彻底摧毁了敌人
[2:03:59] The bomb has more power 炸弹威力巨大
[2:04:02] than 20,000 tons of TNT. 超过2万吨TNT炸药
[2:04:07] It is an atomic bomb. 这是一颗原子弹
[2:04:12] It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe. 它是对宇宙基本力量的驾驭
[2:04:19] Groves on one. 格罗夫斯在一号线
[2:04:26] General? 将军?
[2:04:27] I’m very proud of you, and all of your people. 我为你和你的团队感到骄傲
[2:04:30] It went alright? 一切顺利吗?
[2:04:32] Apparently it went with a tremendous bang. 当然 并且伴随着一声巨响
[2:04:35] Well, everyone here is feeling reasonably good about it. 嗯 这里的每个人都对此感觉良好
[2:04:41] It’s been a long road. 这是一条漫长的道路
[2:04:42] I think one of the wisest things I ever did 我觉得我做过最明智的事
[2:04:45] was when I selected the director of Los Alamos. 就是选择你作洛斯阿拉莫斯的主管
[2:04:51] We have spent more than two billion dollars 我们已经花费了超过20亿美元
[2:04:55] on the greatest scientific gamble in history, 历史上最伟大的科学赌博
[2:04:59] and we have won. 我们赢了
[2:05:06] Oppie! Oppie! Oppie! 奥比! 奥比! 奥比!
[2:06:29] The world… 全世界……
[2:06:32] will remember this day. 会永远记住这一天
[2:06:52] It’s too soon to… 现在还太早……
[2:06:55] It’s too soon to determine 现在下结论还为时过早
[2:06:57] what the results of the bombing are. 爆炸的结果是什么
[2:07:02] But I’ll bet the Japanese didn’t like it. 但我打赌日本人肯定不喜欢
[2:07:24] I’m so proud. 我很自豪
[2:07:27] So proud of what you have accomplished. 为你们的成就感到骄傲
[2:07:37] I just wish we had it in time to use against the Germans. 我只是希望我们能及时用它来对付德国人
[2:09:29] Dr. Oppenheimer? 奥本海默博士?
[2:09:31] Dr. Oppenheimer? 奥本海默博士?
[2:09:34] Nice picture. 照片很帅
[2:09:36] President Truman will see you now. 杜鲁门总统可以见你了
[2:09:52] Dr. Oppenheimer, it’s an honor. 奥本海默博士 很荣幸见到你
[2:09:54] -Mr. President. -Please. -总统先生 -请坐
[2:09:56] Thank you. 谢谢
[2:09:58] Secretary Byrnes. 伯恩斯部长
[2:10:02] How’s it feel to be the most famous man in the world? 成为世界上最著名的人感觉如何?
[2:10:06] You helped save a lot of American lives. 你帮助拯救了很多美国人的生命
[2:10:09] -What we did at Hiroshima was… -And Nagasaki. -我们在广岛所做的…… -还有长崎
[2:10:14] Obviously. 很明显
[2:10:16] Your invention let us bring our boys home. 你的发明让我们把孩子们带回了家
[2:10:20] Well, it was hardly… my invention. 这算不上……我的发明
[2:10:23] It was you on the cover of Time. 登上《时代》杂志封面的人是你
[2:10:28] Jim tells me you’re concerned about an arms race with the Soviets. 吉姆告诉我你担心和苏联的军备竞赛
[2:10:32] Ah, yes, ah… 啊 对 啊……
[2:10:34] Well, um… 好吧 嗯……
[2:10:36] it’s that, uh, now is our chance to secure… 现在是我们确保……
[2:10:41] international cooperation on atomic energy, 和国际原子能合作的机会
[2:10:44] and-and-and I’m concerned… 我很担心
[2:10:46] Do you know when the Soviets are gonna have the bomb? 你知道苏联什么时候会拥有原子弹吗?
[2:10:50] I don’t think I could give a… 我不认为我可以给……
[2:10:51] Never! 绝不!
[2:10:53] Never. 绝不
[2:10:55] Mr. President, the Russians have good physicists, 总统先生 俄国有优秀的物理学家
[2:10:58] and, and abundant resources… -Abundant? 还有丰富的资源…… -丰富?
[2:11:01] Yes. 是的
[2:11:03] I don’t think so. 我不这么认为
[2:11:05] Well, they’ll put everything they have in… 嗯 他们会倾其所有……
[2:11:12] I hear you’re leaving Los Alamos. 我听说你要离开洛斯阿拉莫斯
[2:11:17] What should we do with it? 我们该拿它怎么办?
[2:11:19] Give it back to the Indians. 还给印第安人
[2:11:28] Um, Dr. Oppenheimer… 奥本海默博士
[2:11:32] if what you say about the Soviets is true, 如果你说的关于苏联的事是真的
[2:11:35] we have to build up Los Alamos, not shut it down. 我们就必须扩建洛斯阿拉莫斯 而不是关闭它
[2:11:42] Mr. President… 总统先生……
[2:11:45] Umm… 嗯……
[2:11:50] I feel that I have blood on my hands. 我觉得我的双手沾满了鲜血
[2:12:13] You think anyone in Hiroshima, or… 你认为那些在广岛 或者……
[2:12:17] Nagasaki, gives a shit who built the bomb? 长崎的人 关心是谁造的炸弹吗?
[2:12:25] They care who dropped it. 他们只在乎是谁扔的
[2:12:28] I did. 我干的
[2:12:32] Hiroshima isn’t about you. 广岛不是你的问题
[2:12:40] Dr. Oppenheimer. 奥本海默博士
[2:12:53] Don’t let that crybaby back in here! 别让我再在这里看见那个爱哭鬼!
[2:13:01] Robert saw that hand-wringing got him nowhere. 罗伯特发现 他的悲天悯人毫无结果
[2:13:05] By the time I met him, he’d fully embraced 我遇见他的时候 他已经完全接受了
[2:13:07] his “Father of the Bomb” reputation. “原子弹之父”的名声
[2:13:10] And used his profile to influence policy. 并利用他的公众形象影响政策
[2:13:22] Doctor, in the years following the war, 博士 战后这么多年来
[2:13:23] would you say that you exerted a great influence 你是否认为你对美国的
[2:13:26] on the atomic policies of the USA? 原子能政策影响深远?
[2:13:28] I think “great” would be an overstatement. 我觉得“深远”这个词有些夸张
[2:13:30] Really? I mean, look at the issue of isotopes. 真的吗? 我的意思是 看看同位素问题
[2:13:32] Were you not personally responsible for destroying all opposition to their export? 难道你没有亲自摧毁所有反对出口同位素的人吗?
[2:13:36] …could use a bottle of beer ……可以用一瓶啤酒
[2:13:38] in making atomic weapons. In fact, you do. 用来制造核武器 事实上 你做得到
[2:13:41] I was the spokesman, but the opinion among scientists was unanimous. 我是发言人 但科学家们的意见是一致的
[2:13:45] All along, with McCarthy on the rise, he knew he was vulnerable. 一直以来 随着麦卡锡的崛起 他知道自己很脆弱
[2:13:49] His brother was blacklisted by every university in the country. 他弟弟被全国所有大学列入黑名单
[2:13:54] Lomanitz wound up working the railroad, laying track. 洛马尼茨最后在铁路上工作 铺铁轨
[2:13:59] Chevalier went into exile. 舍瓦利耶流放国外
[2:14:03] But none of that stopped Robert 但这些都没能阻止罗伯特
[2:14:06] from pushing the GAC to recommend arms control, 推动政府咨询委员会建议进行军备控制
[2:14:08] instead of the H-Bomb. 而不是研发氢弹
[2:14:12] He was devastated when Truman rejected their recommendation. 当杜鲁门拒绝他们的建议时 他伤心欲绝
[2:14:17] I miss Richard more than I can bear. 我无法承受对理查德的思念
[2:14:19] I know, Ruth. I know. 我知道 鲁丝 我知道
[2:14:21] I’m just glad he didn’t live to see where this has all gone. 我很高兴他没有活着看到这一切变成什么样了
[2:14:27] Here comes the birthday boy, to gloat… 小寿星来了 幸灾乐祸……
[2:14:30] Have fun. 玩得开心
[2:14:33] Robert, my son and his fiancée 罗伯特 小儿和他的未婚妻
[2:14:35] are desperate to meet the father of the atomic bomb, so… 非常期待想见到原子弹之父 于是……
[2:14:37] Hello. 你好
[2:14:46] Is this a bad time? 我来的不是时候吗?
[2:14:48] What do you think, Lewis? 你觉得呢 刘易斯?
[2:14:50] Well, I think it must have been a blow for you. 我想这对你一定是个打击
[2:14:52] For the world. 为了这个世界
[2:14:55] The world? What does Fuchs mean to the rest of the world? 世界? 福克斯对世界其他地方意味着什么?
[2:14:59] Fuchs? 福克斯?
[2:15:01] Klaus Fuchs? 克劳斯·福克斯?
[2:15:04] Oh dear. You haven’t heard. 噢 亲爱的 你还没听说
[2:15:09] Klaus Fuchs, the British scientist 克劳斯·福克斯 英国科学家
[2:15:11] that you put onto the implosion team at Los Alamos. 你把他安排入洛斯阿拉莫斯的内爆小组
[2:15:15] Turns out he was… 其实他是……
[2:15:17] He was spying for the Soviets the whole time. 他一直在为苏联从事间谍活动
[2:15:20] I’m sorry. 对不起
[2:15:27] After the truth about Fuchs came out, 福克斯的真相曝光后
[2:15:29] the FBI stepped up surveillance on him. 联邦调查局加强了对他的监视
[2:15:32] He knew his phone was tapped. 他知道他的电话被监听
[2:15:34] He was followed everywhere. 他走到哪儿都被跟踪
[2:15:36] His trash picked through. 他的垃圾被取走
[2:15:42] But he never stopped speaking his mind. 但他从未停止说出自己的想法
[2:15:44] A man of conviction. 一个有信念的人
[2:15:46] And maybe he thought fame could actually protect him. 也许他觉得名声可以保护他
[2:15:51] When Eisenhower took office, he saw one more chance. 艾森豪威尔上任后 他看到机会来了
[2:15:56] He took it. 他抓住时机
[2:15:57] America and Russia may be likened… 美国和俄国可以比作……
[2:16:01] to two scorpions in a bottle. 一只瓶子里的两只蝎子
[2:16:03] Each capable of killing the other, 每个人都有能力杀死对方
[2:16:07] but only at the risk of his own life. 但都要以自己的生命为代价
[2:16:10] Now, there are various aspects of this policy… 现在 这项政策有很多方面……
[2:16:12] A lot of scientists blame me, but how was I supposed to protect him? 很多科学家都责怪我 但我该如何保护他呢?
[2:16:17] …are too secret for discussion. ……太过机密 无法讨论
[2:16:19] Candor is the only remedy. 坦诚是唯一的补救办法
[2:16:21] Officials in Washington need to start leveling with the American people. 华盛顿官员需要开始对美国人民讲真话
[2:16:26] That was the last straw for Robert’s enemies. 这是敌人压垮罗伯特的最后一根稻草
[2:16:29] So he had to lose his security clearance. 所以他不得不失去安全许可
[2:16:31] And with it, his credibility. 还有他的信誉
[2:16:34] But how could they do it? 但他们怎么做到的呢?
[2:16:36] He was a war hero. 他是一名战争英雄
[2:16:38] He’d already told everyone about his past. 他已经把自己的过去告诉了所有人
[2:16:40] Borden dredged it all up. 博登把这些都挖出来了
[2:16:42] How could Borden get access to Oppenheimer’s FBI file? 博登怎么可能拿到奥本海默的联邦调查局档案?
[2:16:45] Could it have been Nichols? 会不会是尼科尔斯?
[2:16:46] No, I can’t imagine he’d do that. 不 我无法想象他会这么做
[2:16:49] Whoever did unleashed a firestorm that burned a path in the White House, 不管是谁干的都引发了一场大火 在白宫烧出了一条路
[2:16:53] right to my desk at the AEC. 一直烧到我原子能委员会的办公桌上
[2:16:56] You seen ’em in there, right? 你在那里见过他们 对吧?
[2:16:58] I’ve worked my whole life to get here. 我花了一生的时间才到这里
[2:17:01] The cabinet of the United States of America, 进入美国内阁
[2:17:03] and now, in front of the entire country, 现在 在全国人民面前
[2:17:05] they want to put me back in my place. 他们想把我打回原形
[2:17:09] A lowly shoe salesman. 一个卑微的鞋子销售员
[2:17:11] Lewis, we can win this thing. 刘易斯 我们能赢的
[2:17:13] I think we can get the Senate to grasp 我想我们可以让参议院明白
[2:17:15] that you did your duty, painful though it was. 你尽了你的职责 虽然很痛苦
[2:17:18] -Now, will Hill’s testimony back us up? -Hill will be fine. -现在 希尔的证词能支持我们吗? -希尔会没事的
[2:17:21] I don’t really know him, but he was one of Szilard’s boys in Chicago. 我不太认识他 但他是西拉德在芝加哥的信徒
[2:17:24] And they’d never forgave Robert for not 他们永远不会原谅罗伯特
[2:17:26] supporting the petition against bombing Japan. 没有支持反对轰炸日本的请愿书
[2:17:30] This was taken 31 days after the bombing. 这是爆炸发生31天后拍摄的
[2:17:34] Virtually everyone in the streets, for nearly a mile around, 事实上 方圆近一英里街道上的每个人
[2:17:39] was instantly and seriously… 都迅速和彻底的……
[2:17:41] burned. 被烧死
[2:17:43] The Japanese spoke of people who 日本人后来把这些皮肤被烧成
[2:17:47] wore striped clothing, upon whom the skin was burned in stripes. 一条条的条纹状的人,称之为穿条纹衣服的人
[2:17:52] There were many who thought themselves lucky, 有很多人认为自己很幸运
[2:17:55] who climbed out of the ruins of their homes, 他们从家园的废墟中爬出来
[2:17:57] only slightly injured. 只是受了点轻伤
[2:18:00] But they died anyway. 但他们还是死了
[2:18:03] They died days, or weeks later, 他们几天或几周后陆续死去
[2:18:06] from iridium-like rays emitted in great numbers 死于在爆炸发生的一瞬间
[2:18:09] at the moment of the explosion. 大量放射的类铱射线
[2:18:13] Did you read this crap in the papers? 你读过报纸上的那些垃圾了吗?
[2:18:15] A British physicist is saying 一位英国物理学家说
[2:18:16] the atomic bombings were not the last act of World War II, 原子弹爆炸不是第二次世界大战的最后一幕
[2:18:19] but the first act of this cold war with Russia. 而是与俄国冷战的第一幕
[2:18:23] Which physicist? 哪位物理学家?
[2:18:24] I think you knew him. Patrick Blackett. 我想你认识他 帕特里克·布莱克特
[2:18:30] He may not be wrong. Stimson is now telling me 他可能没错 史汀生最近告诉我
[2:18:33] we bombed an enemy that was essentially defeated. 我们轰炸了一个基本上被打败的敌人
[2:18:36] Robert, you’ve all the influence now. 罗伯特 你现在拥有强大的影响力
[2:18:39] Please, 求你了
[2:18:41] urge them to continue my research on the Super. 敦促他们让我继续研究氢弹
[2:18:43] I neither can nor will, Edward. 我不能也不愿意 爱德华
[2:18:45] Why not? 为什么?
[2:18:47] It’s not the right use of our resources. 这不是对我们资源的正确使用
[2:18:49] Is that what you really believe? 你真的这么想吗?
[2:18:51] J. Robert Oppenheimer? Sphinx-like guru of the atom? J·罗伯特·奥本海默? 狮身人面像般的原子大师?
[2:18:57] Nobody knows what you believe. 没有人知道你信仰什么
[2:18:59] Do you? Hmm? 你自己知道吗? 嗯?
[2:19:02] One final time, our program director, Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer. 最后 有请我们的项目主管罗伯特·奥本海默博士
[2:19:08] I hope that in years to come, 我希望在未来的岁月里
[2:19:10] you will look back on your work here with pride. 当你回顾自己在这里的工作时 会感到自豪
[2:19:13] But today, that pride must be tempered with a profound concern. 虽然今天 这种自豪感必然被一种深深的忧虑所笼罩
[2:19:19] If atomic weapons are to be added to the arsenals of a warring world, 如果要把原子武器加入交战世界的武器库中
[2:19:24] then the day will come when people will curse the name of Los Alamos. 那么总有一天人们会诅咒洛斯阿拉莫斯这个名字
[2:19:33] Uh, sorry, Admiral. 呃 抱歉 将军
[2:19:35] Stopped off to get this. 中间出去拿来这个
[2:19:37] Seems pretty favorable. 看起来很有利
[2:19:39] There’s Oppenheimer. What’s the caption? 那是奥本海默 标题是什么?
[2:19:42] Uh, “J. Robert Oppenheimer. Strauss fought him… 呃 “J·罗伯特·奥本海默大战施特劳斯……
[2:19:47] “and the US won.” “美国赢了”
[2:19:49] That’ll work. 这就行
[2:19:51] Those were your words from the other day. 这是你那天说的话
[2:19:53] We needed to pivot. 我们需要转向
[2:19:54] But how would you know what Time Magazine was gonna write? 但你怎么知道《时代》杂志会写什么?
[2:19:57] Henry Luce is a friend. 亨利·卢斯是我的朋友
[2:20:07] You sat here and let me tell you how it’s done, 你坐在这里 让我告诉你怎么做
[2:20:10] but you’ve been far ahead all along. 但其实你一直操控全局
[2:20:12] Survival in Washington. 想在华盛顿生存
[2:20:15] It’s about knowing how to get things done. 就要知道如何把事情做好
[2:20:18] Right. 没错
[2:20:21] What was it you said about Borden? 你是怎么说博登的?
[2:20:23] Why get caught holding the knife yourself? 借刀杀人 方为上策?
[2:20:27] I’m beginning to think Borden was holding the knife for you. 我开始觉得博登是在帮你拿刀
[2:20:33] It’s gonna come down to how much influence 这要看影响力有多大
[2:20:35] Borden’s been able to exert on Teller. 博登能够对泰勒施加压力
[2:20:38] Did I say something funny? 我说了什么好笑的话吗?
[2:20:39] Just “Borden, Borden, Borden”, when we all know that it’s Strauss. 尽是“博登 博登 博登” 而我们都知道是施特劳斯
[2:20:44] Lewis brought me to Princeton, Kitty. 刘易斯带我来的普林斯顿 凯蒂
[2:20:47] And then you humiliated him in front of Congress. 然后你在国会面前羞辱了他
[2:20:49] But more useful than a sandwich! 但比三明治强!
[2:20:55] How’d I do? 我表现如何?
[2:20:57] Maybe a little too well, Robert. 似乎有点过了 罗伯特
[2:20:59] That was six years ago. 那是六年前的事了
[2:21:01] You know, they’re truly vindictive, patient as saints. 你知道 他们真的很记仇 像圣人一样有耐心
[2:21:04] Strauss has been perfectly clear that he is neutral. 施特劳斯已经非常清楚地表明他是中立的
[2:21:08] Wake up! It is Strauss! 醒醒吧! 是施特劳斯!
[2:21:11] It’s always been Strauss, and you know it! 一直都是施特劳斯 你知道的!
[2:21:14] Why won’t you fight him? 你为什么不跟他战斗?
[2:21:19] It wasn’t Nichols, or Hoover, or one of Truman’s guys. 不是尼科尔斯也不是胡佛 也不是杜鲁门的人
[2:21:22] It was you. 是你
[2:21:24] You gave the file to Borden. 你把文件给了博登
[2:21:25] You set him on Oppenheimer. 你让他去举报奥本海默
[2:21:27] -You convinced him… -Borden… -你说服了他 -博登
[2:21:29] didn’t take any convincing. 不费吹灰之力
[2:21:32] Take your time, use the entire file. 慢慢来 把整个文件都用上
[2:21:34] Write up your conclusions, send them to the FBI. 写下你的结论 发给联邦调查局
[2:21:36] The material’s obviously extensive, 材料显然很广泛
[2:21:38] but there’s nothing new here. 但这里没什么新鲜的
[2:21:41] Your conclusions will be. 新鲜的是你的结论
[2:21:43] And they’ll have to be answered. 他们必须得给回复
[2:21:45] Hoover passes them to McCarthy? 胡佛把它们交给了麦卡锡?
[2:21:47] Oppenheimer’s too slippery for that self-promoting clown. 对那个自吹自擂的小丑来说 奥本海默太狡猾了
[2:21:50] I’ve talked it over with Hoover. 我跟胡佛谈过了
[2:21:51] He’ll hold McCarthy at bay while you do this with the AEC. 他会牵制麦卡锡 而你去对付原子能委员会
[2:21:55] -Trial? -No, no trial. -庭审? -不 没有庭审
[2:21:57] You can’t give Oppenheimer a platform. 你不能给奥本海默一个平台
[2:22:00] You can’t martyr him. 绝不能让他成为烈士
[2:22:02] We need a systematic destruction of Oppenheimer’s credibility, 我们需要系统性地摧毁奥本海默的威信
[2:22:05] so he can never again speak on matters of national security. 这样他就再也不能谈论国家安全问题了
[2:22:10] Then what? 然后呢?
[2:22:12] A shabby little room. Far from the limelight. 一个破旧的小房间 远离聚光灯
[2:22:21] A simple bureaucratic procedure. His Q clearance. It’s up for renewal. 一个简单的官僚程序 他的安全许可证就要续签了
[2:22:26] You send your accusations to the FBI… 你向联邦调查局提出指控……
[2:22:31] Hoover sends them to the AEC. You’re forced to act. 胡佛把他们送到原子能委员会 你被迫采取行动
[2:22:35] You write up an indictment. 你写一份起诉书
[2:22:37] You tell Oppenheimer his security clearance is not being renewed. 你告诉奥本海默 他的安全许可不会延期
[2:22:41] But offer him the chance to appeal. 但给他一个上诉的机会
[2:22:42] As you can see, Robert, it’s not yet signed. 如你所见 罗伯特 还没有签字
[2:22:45] -May I keep this? -No. -我可以保留这个吗? -不行
[2:22:47] If you do decide to appeal, they’ll have to send you a copy. 如果你决定上诉 他们会寄给你一份副本
[2:22:51] When he appeals, and trust me, he will, I appoint a board. 当他上诉的时候 相信我 他会的 我会任命一个委员会
[2:22:57] They will, of course, have counsel. 他们中当然会有律师
[2:23:00] -Prosecutor? -In all but name. -检察官? -除了名字
[2:23:01] -Who? -Roger Robb. -谁? -罗杰·罗博
[2:23:03] Ouch. 哎哟
[2:23:04] Robb will have security clearance to examine Oppenheimer’s file. 罗伯将获得安全许可 查阅奥本海默的档案
[2:23:08] As will the Gray Board. Defense counsel will not. 格雷委员会也可以 辩护律师则不行
[2:23:12] A closed hearing. 一次闭门听证会
[2:23:13] The so-called interrogatory information in your indictment of me… 你们在阅读我的起诉书中所谓的审讯信息时……
[2:23:17] No audience, no reporters, no burden of proof. 没有观众 没有记者 没有举证责任
[2:23:21] No burden of proof? 没有举证责任?
[2:23:24] We’re not convicting. 我们不定罪
[2:23:27] We’re just denying. 我们只是否认
[2:23:34] What is it you said? 你说的是什么?
[2:23:37] This is just how the game is played. 这就是政治的游戏规则
[2:23:41] Well, forgive my naivete. 好吧 原谅我的天真
[2:23:43] Amateurs seek the sun, get eaten. 业余者寻找阳光 被吞掉
[2:23:48] Power stays in the shadows. 权力只发生在阴影中
[2:23:52] But, sir, you’re… you’re out of the shadows now. 但是 先生 你……你现在已经走出阴影了
[2:23:55] Yeah, that’s why this has to work. 是啊 所以我们一定要成功
[2:23:57] Well… 好吧……
[2:24:00] Teller’s testifying this morning. 泰勒今天早上要出庭作证
[2:24:02] That’ll help. And then… 那会有帮助的 然后……
[2:24:04] Hill is in the afternoon. 希尔在下午
[2:24:05] Hill is gonna help us too. 希尔也会帮我们的
[2:24:10] As you can see, Robert, it’s not yet signed. 如你所见 罗伯特 还没有签字
[2:24:13] -May I keep this? -No. 我可以保留这个吗? 不行
[2:24:17] If you do decide to appeal, then they’ll have to send you a copy. 如果你决定上诉 他们会寄给你一份副本
[2:24:26] Take my car and driver, I insist. 你可以用我的车和司机 不必客气
[2:24:33] I’ll have to consult my lawyers, Lewis. 我得咨询我的律师 刘易斯
[2:24:35] Of course. But don’t take too long. 当然 但别太久
[2:24:38] I can’t keep Nichols at bay. 我无法阻止尼科尔斯
[2:24:46] I’m sorry it’s come to this, Robert. 抱歉事情变成这样 罗伯特
[2:24:48] I think it’s wrong. 我觉得这样不对
[2:25:03] Nichols wants me to fight, so he can get it all on the record. 尼科尔斯希望我反击 这样他就能把一切都记录下来
[2:25:06] Strauss wants me to walk away. 施特劳斯想让我离开
[2:25:08] Strauss knows that you can’t do that. You’d be accepting the charges. 施特劳斯知道你不会这么做 你一定会接受指控
[2:25:13] You’ll lose your job. 你会失去工作的
[2:25:15] You will lose your reputation. We’ll lose our house. 你会失去你的名誉 我们会失去我们的房子
[2:25:18] Robert, we have to fight. 罗伯特 我们必须战斗
[2:25:23] As AEC counsel, I can’t represent you. 作为原子能委员会的律师 我不能代表你
[2:25:25] I’ll call Lloyd Garrison. 我会给劳埃德·加里森打电话
[2:25:27] Oh, he’s good. 噢 他很厉害
[2:25:28] The best, but I have to warn you. 最好的 但我得警告你
[2:25:33] This won’t be a fair fight. 这不是一场公平的战斗
[2:25:35] During your interview with Boris Pash in 1943, did you refer to microfilm? 1943年你与鲍里斯·帕什谈话时提到过缩微胶卷吗?
[2:25:40] -No. -Tab 11, page one, paragraph three. -没有 -标签11 第一页 第三段
[2:25:43] You never said, “man of the consulate, expert in the use of microfilm”? 你从没说过“领事馆的人 微缩胶卷的专家”?
[2:25:46] -I’m sorry, I’m sorry… -No. -对不起 对不起…… -没有
[2:25:47] I would like to know what document Mr. Robb is quoting from, 我想知道罗博先生引用的是哪份文件
[2:25:50] and if we might be furnished with a copy. 是否可以向我们提供一份副本
[2:25:52] The document is classified, Mr. Garrison. 该文件属于机密 加里森先生
[2:25:54] I think we should get back to firsthand information. 我认为我们应该采用第一手资料
[2:25:56] This is firsthand. 这就是第一手资料
[2:25:57] How so, Roger? 怎么说 罗杰?
[2:26:00] There was a recording of the interview. 有一段谈话的录音
[2:26:07] You let my client sit here and potentially perjure himself, 你让我的委托人坐在这里 并有可能作伪证
[2:26:10] and all this time, you had a recording? 一直以来 你都有录音?
[2:26:12] Nobody told your client to misrepresent his former answers. 没人让你的委托人歪曲他之前的答案
[2:26:15] Misrepresent? It was 12 years ago! 歪曲? 那是12年前的事了!
[2:26:17] Can we hear this recording? 我们可以听一下这段录音吗?
[2:26:19] You don’t have the clearance, Mr. Garrison. 你没有权限 加里森先生
[2:26:20] But you’re reading it into the record! 但你把它读到了记录里!
[2:26:22] Please, please. Is this proceeding interested in entrapment or in truth? 拜托 拜托 这个诉讼程序是为了诱捕还是探寻真相?
[2:26:27] If it’s truth, where’s the disclosure? Where’s the witness list? 如果是真相 证据呢? 证人名单呢?
[2:26:31] Mr. Garrison, this isn’t a trial, as you are well aware. 加里森先生 如你所知 这不是审判
[2:26:34] Evidentiary rules do not apply. We are dealing with national security. 证据规则不适用 我们在处理国家安全问题
[2:26:38] Yes, sir, with all due respect, 是的 长官 恕我直言
[2:26:39] I fail to see how national security prevents the prosecution from 我不明白国家安全如何能阻止检方
[2:26:43] providing us with a list of witnesses! -Perhaps we are in need 给我们提供一份证人名单! -也许我们确实需要
[2:26:45] of a brief recess. -Gentlemen. You have my words. 暂时休庭 -先生们 我向你们保证
[2:26:48] If you say they’re from a transcript, then I’ll accept it. 如果你说它们来自抄本 那我就接受
[2:26:51] I’ve already explained I made up a cock-and-bull story. 我已经解释过了 我编了一个荒唐可笑的故事
[2:26:54] And why would anyone make up such an elaborate story? 为什么会有人编造这么复杂的故事呢?
[2:26:57] Because I was an idiot. 因为我是个傻瓜
[2:26:59] Why lie? 为什么要撒谎?
[2:27:00] Well, clearly with the intention of not revealing who the intermediary was. 嗯 显然是为了不暴露中间人的身份
[2:27:05] Your friend, Haakon Chevalier, the communist. 你的朋友 哈康·舍瓦利耶 是共产党员
[2:27:07] Is he still your friend? 他还是你的朋友吗?
[2:27:09] Yes. 是的
[2:27:14] Dr. Rabi, thank you for coming. 拉比博士 谢谢你能来
[2:27:16] You know who else the prosecution has called? 你知道控方还传唤了谁吗?
[2:27:18] Teller, obviously. They’ve asked Lawrence. 显然是泰勒 他们问过劳伦斯了
[2:27:22] -What did he say? -He wasn’t going to help them, -他说什么? -他不会帮他们的
[2:27:25] but… -But? 但是…… -但是?
[2:27:27] Strauss told him that you and Ruth Tolman had been having an affair for years. 施特劳斯告诉他 你和鲁丝·托尔曼多年来一直有染
[2:27:32] The whole time you lived with them in Pasadena. 你和他们一起住在帕萨迪纳的那段时间
[2:27:35] He convinced Lawrence that Richard died of a broken heart. 他让劳伦斯相信理查德死于伤心欲绝
[2:27:38] -That’s absurd. -What part? -这太荒谬了 -哪部分?
[2:27:40] A broken heart. Richard never found out. 伤心欲绝 理查德从未发现
[2:27:44] Is Lawrence gonna testify? 劳伦斯会作证吗?
[2:27:46] I don’t know. 我不知道
[2:27:48] Dr. Rabi, what governmental positions do you currently hold? 拉比博士 你目前在政府担任什么职务?
[2:27:52] I am the chairman of the general advisory committee 我是原子能委员会顾问委员会主席
[2:27:55] to the AEC, succeeding Dr. Oppenheimer. 接替奥本海默博士
[2:27:58] And how long have you known Dr. Oppenheimer? 你认识奥本海默博士多久了?
[2:28:01] Since 1928. I… I know him quite well. 从1928年开始 我……我很了解他
[2:28:05] Well enough to speak to the bearing of his loyalty and character? 足以说明他的忠诚和品格了吗?
[2:28:09] Dr. Oppenheimer is a man of upstanding character. 奥本海默博士是一个品格正直的人
[2:28:13] And he is loyal to the United States, to his friends, 他忠于美国 忠于他的朋友
[2:28:17] to the institutions of which he is part. 忠于他所属的机构
[2:28:21] Eat. 吃吧
[2:28:42] Who was that? 那是谁?
[2:28:43] Nothing to worry about. 不用担心
[2:28:48] After the Russian A-bomb test, 俄国原子弹试验后
[2:28:49] did Dr. Lawrence come to see you about the hydrogen bomb? 劳伦斯博士来找你是为了谈氢弹的事吗?
[2:28:52] You’d be better off asking him. 你最好去问他
[2:28:54] Well, I fully intend to. 嗯 我正打算这么做
[2:28:56] Would you say that Dr. Oppenheimer was unalterably opposed to the H-bomb? 你是否认为奥本海默博士坚决反对氢弹?
[2:29:00] No, he, he thought that a fusion program 不 他 他认为核聚变项目
[2:29:03] would come at the expense of our awfully good fission program. 将以牺牲我们非常好的核裂变项目为代价
[2:29:06] But that proved not to be the case. 但事实证明并非如此
[2:29:08] In the event, both could be done. 在这种情况下 两者都可以做到
[2:29:10] Suppose that this board did not feel satisfied 假设委员会不满意
[2:29:13] that in his testimony here Dr. Oppenheimer had been wholly truthful, 奥本海默博士在他的证词中是完全属实的
[2:29:17] what would you say whether or not he should be cleared? 你认为是否应该给他颁发安全许可?
[2:29:19] Why go through all this against a man 为什么要这样对待一个男人
[2:29:21] who has accomplished what Dr. Oppenheimer has? 一个像奥本海默博士那样取得巨大成就的人
[2:29:23] Look at his record. 看看他的记录
[2:29:25] We have an A-bomb, and a whole series of it. 我们有一颗原子弹 和一系列的原子弹
[2:29:27] We have a whole series of super bombs. What more do you want? 我们还有一系列的氢弹 你还想要什么?
[2:29:31] Mermaids? 美人鱼吗?
[2:29:33] But I’ve known Secretary Strauss for many years. 但我认识施特劳斯部长很多年
[2:29:36] And I feel it a necessity to express the warm support 我觉得有必要肯定刘易斯
[2:29:39] for science and scientists Lewis has shown. 对科学和科学家的热情支持
[2:29:42] We’ll break now. 我们现在开始
[2:29:44] -Unless there’s any immediate business. -Senator, I’d like to once again request -除非有什么紧急事务 -参议员 我想再次请求
[2:29:48] that we’re furnished with a list of witnesses. 我们已经准备好了一份证人的名单
[2:29:51] And I will remind the nominee 我会提醒被提名者
[2:29:52] that we don’t always have that information in advance. 我们并不总是事先知道这些信息
[2:29:55] We do know that Dr. Hill will be here after lunch. 我们知道希尔博士午饭后会来
[2:29:58] Mr. Chairman, our next scheduled witness, Dr. Lawrence, 主席先生 下一位证人 劳伦斯博士
[2:30:01] has apparently come down with colitis. 患有结肠炎来不了
[2:30:07] So we’ll proceed with William Borden instead. 所以我们还是开始威廉·博登吧
[2:30:10] Mr. Borden, welcome. Please take a seat. 博登先生 欢迎 请坐
[2:30:15] Mr. Borden, 博登先生
[2:30:17] during your investigation into Dr. Oppenheimer, 在你调查奥本海默博士期间
[2:30:20] did you reach certain conclusions? 你得出什么结论了吗?
[2:30:22] -I did. -And did there come a time -有的 -你是否曾在信中
[2:30:24] when you expressed those conclusions in a letter to Mr. J. Edgar Hoover, 向联邦调查局的胡佛先生
[2:30:27] of the Federal Bureau of Investigation? -That is correct. 表达过这些结论 -没错
[2:30:30] Prior to the writing of the letter, did you discuss the writing of the letter 在写这封信之前 你是否与原子能委员会的人
[2:30:33] with anybody attached to the Atomic Energy Commission? 讨论过这封信的写法?
[2:30:35] -I did not. -Excellent. -没有 -很好
[2:30:36] -Do you have a copy of the letter? -I have one in front of me. -你有那封信的复本吗? -我面前有一份
[2:30:38] Would you please be so kind as to read it, sir? 请您读一读 先生?
[2:30:42] “Dear Mr. Hoover, the purpose of this letter “亲爱的胡佛先生 我写这封信的目的
[2:30:44] -“is to state…” -I’m sorry, I’m sorry, if I could have… -“是表达……” -对不起 对不起 如果我可以……
[2:30:47] What is the purpose of the delay? He’s simply going to read the letter. 中断的目的是什么? 他只是要读这封信
[2:30:51] Mr. Chairman, this is the first I’ve seen of this letter. 主席先生 这是我第一次看到这封信
[2:30:54] And I see statements here, at least one, 我看到这里至少有一份声明
[2:30:57] of a kind that I don’t think anyone would like to see go into the record. 我认为没有人愿意看到这种事情被记录在案
[2:30:59] These are accusations that have not previously been made, 这些都是以前从未有过的指控
[2:31:02] that are not part of the indictment from Nichols. 不在尼科拉斯的起诉书中
[2:31:04] Accusations of a kind that I don’t think belong here. 我觉得这种指控不该出现在这里
[2:31:07] The witness wrote this letter on his own initiative, 证人主动写了这封信
[2:31:09] laying out evidence that has already been before the board. 列出已经摆在委员会面前的证据
[2:31:11] His conclusions are valid testimony, 他的结论是有效的证词
[2:31:13] just like the positive conclusions of friends of Dr. Oppenheimer. 就像奥本海默博士的朋友得出的正面结论一样
[2:31:16] It cuts both ways. 这是双向的
[2:31:18] How long has counsel been in possession of this letter? 律师收到这封信多久了?
[2:31:20] I don’t think I should be subject to cross-examination by you, Mr. Garrison. 我不认为我应该被你交叉询问 加里森先生
[2:31:24] Mr. Garrison, given that we on the board have all read the letter, 加里森先生 鉴于我们委员会成员都读过这封信
[2:31:27] wouldn’t it be better to have it in the record? 记录在案不是更好吗?
[2:31:30] Let’s proceed. 让我们继续
[2:31:33] “Dear Mr. Hoover, “亲爱的胡佛先生
[2:31:35] “the purpose of this letter is to state my opinion, “我写这封信的目的是表达我的观点
[2:31:38] “based upon years of study of the available classified evidence, 基于对现有机密证据的多年研究
[2:31:42] “that, more probably than not, “很有可能
[2:31:44] “J. Robert Oppenheimer is an agent of the Soviet Union. J·罗伯特·奥本海默是苏联特工
[2:31:49] “The following conclusions are justified. 下面的结论是合理的
[2:31:52] “One, between 1929 and 1942, more probably than not, 第一 从1929年到1942年之间 很有可能
[2:31:56] “J. Robert Oppenheimer was a sufficiently hardened communist “J·罗伯特·奥本海默是一个死硬派共产主义者
[2:32:00] “that he volunteered information to the Soviets. 他自愿向苏联提供情报
[2:32:03] “Two, more probably than not, ”第二 极有可能
[2:32:05] “he has since been functioning as an espionage agent. “从那以后 他就开始充当间谍
[2:32:09] “Three. “第三
[2:32:10] “More probably than not, he has since acted under a Soviet directive “更有可能的是 他此后一直按照苏联的指令行事
[2:32:14] “in influencing United States military policy.” ”影响美国的军事政策”
[2:32:17] -I’m sorry, Robert. -“Atomic energy, intelligence and…” -对不起 罗伯特 -“原子能 情报和……”
[2:32:20] Is anyone ever going to tell the truth about what’s happening here? 难道没人能告诉这里发生的事情的真相
[2:32:25] We will now hear from Dr. David Hill. 我们现在听取大卫·希尔博士的证词
[2:32:38] Dr. Hill, would you care to make a statement? 希尔博士 你愿意发表声明吗?
[2:32:43] Thank you. 谢谢
[2:32:44] I’ve been asked to testify about Lewis Strauss, 我被要求为刘易斯·施特劳斯作证
[2:32:48] a man who has given years of service in high positions of government, 一个在政府高层任职多年的人
[2:32:53] and who is known to be earnest, hard-working, and intelligent. 他以认真、勤奋、聪明而著称
[2:32:59] The views I have to express are my own, 我要表达的是我自己的观点
[2:33:02] but I believe that much I have to say will help to indicate why 但我相信我所说的一切将有助于说明为什么
[2:33:06] most of the scientists in this country would prefer to see Mr. Strauss 这个国家的大多数科学家更愿意看到施特劳斯先生
[2:33:11] completely out of government. 完全退出政府
[2:33:15] You’re referring to the hostility of certain scientists, 你指的是某些科学家的敌意
[2:33:19] directed toward Mr. Strauss, because of his commitment to security, 指向施特劳斯先生 因为他致力于公共安全
[2:33:23] as demonstrated in the Oppenheimer affair? 就像奥本海默事件所表明的那样?
[2:33:28] No. 不
[2:33:30] Because of the personal vindictiveness he demonstrated against Dr. Oppenheimer. 是因为他对奥本海默博士的报复心理
[2:33:37] Order! Order! 肃静! 肃静!
[2:33:40] It appears to most scientists around this country 在这个国家的大多数科学家看来
[2:33:44] that Robert Oppenheimer is now being pilloried, 罗伯特·奥本海默现在正在被嘲笑
[2:33:47] and put through an ordeal, because he expressed his honest opinions. 因为他诚实地表达了自己的观点 所以经历了一场严峻的磨难
[2:33:52] Dr. Bush, I thought I was performing a service to my country 布什博士 我以为我是为国家服务
[2:33:55] when hearing this case. -No board, in this country, 当我听取这个案子时 -在这个国家 没有委员会
[2:33:59] should sit in judgment of a man because he expressed his strong opinions. 因为一个人表达了自己强烈的意见 所以应该对他进行审判
[2:34:03] If you want to try that case, you should try me. 如果你想审查那个案子 你们应该审查我
[2:34:07] Excuse me, gentlemen, if I’ve… become stirred. 对不起 先生们 可能我……过于激动
[2:34:11] But I am. 但我是这么想的
[2:34:12] Dr. Hill, we’ve already heard that Mr. Strauss did not bring the charges, 希尔博士 我们听说施特劳斯先生并没有提出指控
[2:34:16] or participate in the hearings against Dr. Oppenheimer. 或者参加对奥本海默博士的听证会
[2:34:19] The Oppenheimer matter was… 奥本海默事件是……
[2:34:22] initiated, and carried through, largely through the animus of Lewis Strauss. 主要由刘易斯·施特劳斯策划、发起并操纵的
[2:34:28] Oppenheimer made mincemeat out of Strauss’s position 奥本海默把施特劳斯推下了神坛
[2:34:31] on the shipments of isotopes to Norway, 在向挪威出口同位素的问题上
[2:34:33] and Strauss never forgave him this public humiliation. 施特劳斯永远不会原谅他的公众羞辱
[2:34:37] Another controversy between them centered around their differences in judgment 他们之间的另一个争论围绕着他们在判断上的分歧
[2:34:41] on how the H-bomb would contribute to national security. 关于氢弹对国家安全的作用
[2:34:44] Strauss turned to the personnel security system in order to 施特劳斯借口人员安全系统 以便
[2:34:47] destroy Oppenheimer’s effectiveness, 破坏奥本海默的成就
[2:34:50] and Strauss was able to find a few ambitious men 施特劳斯找来了几个野心勃勃的人
[2:34:53] who also disagreed with Oppenheimer’s positions and envied him 他们也不同意奥本海默的立场 并且嫉妒
[2:34:57] his prestige in government circles. 他在政界的威望
[2:34:59] I’ve always assumed, and still assume, that he is loyal to the United States. 我一直认为 而且现在仍然认为他忠于美国
[2:35:04] I believe this, and I shall believe it, 我相信 我也会一直相信
[2:35:06] until I see very conclusive proof to the opposite. 除非我看到相反的确凿证据
[2:35:08] Do you or do you not believe that Dr. Oppenheimer is a security risk? 你是否相信奥本海默博士存在安全风险?
[2:35:16] In a great number of cases, I have seen Dr. Oppenheimer act in a way 在很多情况下 我看到奥本海默博士的行为
[2:35:19] which was, to me, exceedingly hard to understand. 对我来说 非常难以理解
[2:35:23] I thoroughly disagreed with him in numerous issues, 我在许多问题上完全不同意他的观点
[2:35:25] and his actions frankly appeared to me confused and complicated. 坦白地说 他的行为让我感到迷惑不解
[2:35:29] To this extent, I feel I want to see the vital interests of this country 从这个意义上讲 我希望看到这个国家的切身利益
[2:35:34] in hands which I understand better, and therefore trust more. 掌握在我更了解、更信任的人手中
[2:35:39] -Thank you, Doctor. -Thank you. -谢谢你 博士 -谢谢
[2:35:44] I’m sorry. 对不起
[2:35:48] You shook his fucking hand!? 你他妈的跟他握手了?
[2:35:51] Oh, I would have spit in his face. 噢 我会朝他脸上吐口水
[2:35:53] I’m not sure the Board would have appreciated that. 我不确定委员会是否喜欢这样
[2:35:55] Is it not gentlemanly enough for you? 难道你还不够绅士吗?
[2:35:57] Well, I think you’re all being too goddamn gentlemanly. 好吧 我觉得你们都太他妈绅士了
[2:36:00] Gray must see what Robb is doing. Why doesn’t he just shut him down? 格雷委员会一定知道罗博在做什么 他们为什么不干脆把他关起来?
[2:36:04] And you, shaking Teller’s hand. 还有你 居然和泰勒握手
[2:36:06] You need to stop playing the martyr. 你别再扮演烈士了
[2:36:10] Under the current AEC guidelines, would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today? 根据原子能委员会目前的指导方针 你今天会给奥本海默博士颁发安全许可吗?
[2:36:21] Under my interpretation of the Atomic Energy Act, 根据我对《原子能法案》的理解
[2:36:26] which did not exist when I hired Dr. Oppenheimer in 1942, 我在1942年聘请奥本海默博士时 该法案还不存在
[2:36:32] I would not clear him today if I were on the commission. 如果我是委员会成员 我今天不会给他颁发安全许可
[2:36:37] Good. Thank you, General. That is all. 很好 谢谢你 将军 就这样
[2:36:39] But I don’t think I’d clear any of those guys. 但我不认为我会颁给他们中任何一个人
[2:36:41] That’s all. 就这样
[2:36:46] Dr. Oppenheimer had no responsibility in the selection 奥本海默博士在选拔中不承担任何责任
[2:36:48] or the clearance of Klaus Fuchs, did he? 包括克劳斯·福克斯的安全许可 对吧?
[2:36:50] No. None at all. 是 完全没有
[2:36:52] And you wouldn’t want to leave this board with any suggestion today that 你今天并不想在离开时留给委员会一个印象
[2:36:55] you’re here questioning his basic loyalty to the United States 你在这里质疑他参与洛斯阿拉莫斯的行动期间
[2:36:58] in the operation of Los Alamos? 对美国的忠诚?
[2:37:00] By no means. I hope I didn’t lead anyone to believe otherwise for an instant. 绝对不是 我希望我没有让任何人产生误解
[2:37:05] Thank you, General. 谢谢你 将军
[2:37:24] -Okay. We shouldn’t keep them waiting. -She’ll be here. -好吧 我们不能让他们等太久 -她会来的
[2:37:28] Do you even want her here? 你真心希望她作证吗?
[2:37:30] Only a fool or an adolescent presumes 只有傻瓜或青少年才会自以为
[2:37:32] to know someone else’s relationship, and you’re neither, Lloyd. 知道别人的关系 而你两者都不是 劳埃德
[2:37:38] Kitty and I are grown-ups. 凯蒂和我都是成年人
[2:37:42] We’ve walked through fire together. 我们一起走过风风雨雨
[2:37:45] She’ll do fine. 她一定行的
[2:37:47] Would you describe your views on communism as pro, anti, neutral? 你对共产主义的看法是支持 反对 还是中立?
[2:37:51] Very strongly against. 强烈反对
[2:37:52] I’ve had nothing to do with communism in, since… 我和共产主义没有任何关系 自从……
[2:37:55] since 1936. Since… 自从1936年 自从……
[2:37:58] Since before I met Robert. 从我认识罗伯特之前
[2:38:02] That’s all. 就这样
[2:38:04] The record demonstrates that Oppenheimer was not interrogated 记录显示奥本海默没有受到为格雷委员会工作的
[2:38:07] by impartial and disinterested counsel for the Gray Board. 公正无私的律师的审问
[2:38:10] He was interrogated by a prosecutor who used 他受到一位具有律师背景的检察官的审问
[2:38:12] all the tricks of a rather ingenious legal background. 后者施展浑身解数
[2:38:15] You are charging now that the Gray Board permitted a prosecution. 你现在是在指控格雷委员会允许起诉
[2:38:20] If I were on the Gray Board, 如果我站在格雷委员会面前
[2:38:22] I would have protested against the tactics 我会抗议这种策略
[2:38:24] of the man who served in fact as the prosecuting counsel. 有人实际上担任了检察官的职务
[2:38:27] A man appointed not by the Board, 一个不是委员会任命的人
[2:38:30] but by Lewis Strauss. 而是刘易斯·施特劳斯任命的
[2:38:34] Who was this? 这人是谁?
[2:38:37] I’m sorry? 什么?
[2:38:39] Who was this? 他是谁?
[2:38:40] Roger Robb. 罗杰・罗博
[2:38:42] Mrs. Oppenheimer. 奥本海默夫人
[2:38:48] Did you have a Communist Party membership card? 你有共产党员证吗?
[2:38:52] I’m… I’m not sure. 我……我不确定
[2:38:54] Not sure? 不确定?
[2:38:58] Well… 嗯……
[2:39:03] Well? 什么?
[2:39:12] I mean, presumably, the act of joining the party 我是说 大概 要加入共产党
[2:39:15] required sending some money and receiving a card, no? 需要寄一些钱和收到一张卡片 对吗?
[2:39:29] Sorry. 对不起
[2:39:31] Yes. 是的
[2:39:34] It’s just, it was all so very long ago, Mr. Robb, wasn’t it? 只是 那都是很久以前的事了 罗博先生 不是吗?
[2:39:38] -Not really. -Long enough to have forgotten. -说实话 -久到我都忘了
[2:39:39] -Did you return the card, or rip it up? -The card whose existence I’ve forgotten? -你是把卡退了还是撕了? -那张我已经忘记存在的卡?
[2:39:42] -Your Communist Party membership card? -Haven’t the slightest idea. -你的共产党员证? -一点印象也没有
[2:39:49] Can a distinction be made between Soviet communism and communism? 苏联共产主义和共产主义能区分开来吗?
[2:39:53] Well, in the days when I was a member, 嗯 当我还是党员的时候
[2:39:54] -I thought they were definitely two things. -Oh? -我认为他们绝对是两回事 -哦?
[2:39:56] I thought that the Communist Party of the United States 我认为美国共产党
[2:39:59] was concerned with our domestic problems. I now no longer believe this. 关心我们的国内问题 当然我现在不再相信这一点
[2:40:03] I believe the whole thing’s linked together and spread all over the world, 我相信整个事情联系在一起而且遍布全世界
[2:40:05] and I have believed this since I left the party 16 years ago. 自从16年前我离开共产党 我就一直相信这一点
[2:40:09] -But… -17 years ago. My mistake. -但…… -17年前 我错了
[2:40:12] -But you… -Sorry, 18. -但是你…… -对不起 18
[2:40:15] 18 years ago. 18年前
[2:40:18] Are you familiar with the fact your husband was making contributions 您是否知道您的丈夫早在1942年
[2:40:20] to the Spanish Civil War as late as 1942? 就一直支持西班牙内战?
[2:40:23] I knew that Robert gave money from time to time. 我知道罗伯特有时会捐钱
[2:40:25] Did you know this money was going into Communist Party channels? 你知道这些钱流入了共产党的渠道吗?
[2:40:28] -Don’t you mean through? -Pardon? -你是说通过吗? -什么?
[2:40:30] I think you mean through Communist Party channels, don’t you? 我想你的意思是通过共产党的渠道 不是吗?
[2:40:33] -Yes. -Yes? -是的 -是的?
[2:40:34] -Yes. -是的 -是的 -Yes.
[2:40:36] Then would it be fair to say that this meant that by 1942, 那么公平地说 这是否意味着直到1942年
[2:40:40] your husband had not stopped having anything to do with the Communist Party? 你丈夫并没有断绝和共产党的任何关系?
[2:40:44] You don’t have to answer that yes or no, you can answer that any way you wish. 你不必回答是或不是 你可以随心所欲地回答
[2:40:47] I know that, thank you. It’s your question. 我知道 谢谢 这是你的问题
[2:40:50] It’s not properly phrased. 措辞不当
[2:40:52] -Do you understand what I’m getting at? -I do. -你明白我的意思吗? -我明白
[2:40:53] -Then why don’t you answer it that way? -Because I don’t like your phrase, -那你为什么不正面回答呢? -因为我不喜欢你的用词
[2:40:56] “having anything to do with the Communist Party,” “和共产党的任何关系”
[2:40:58] because Robert never had anything to do with the Communist Party as such. 因为罗伯特和共产党没有任何关系
[2:41:02] I know he gave money to Spanish refugees. 我知道他给西班牙难民捐钱
[2:41:04] I know he took an intellectual interest in communist ideas. 我知道他对共产主义思想感兴趣
[2:41:07] Are there two types of communists? 有两种共产主义者吗?
[2:41:09] Intellectual communists, and your plain old regular commie? 知识分子共产主义者 还有你们这些普通的老共产主义者?
[2:41:13] Well, I couldn’t answer that one. 这个我回答不上
[2:41:16] I couldn’t either. 我也不能
[2:41:24] Good evening. 晚上好
[2:41:26] Robert, you can’t win this thing. 罗伯特 你赢不了的
[2:41:27] It’s a kangaroo court with a predetermined outcome. 这是一个预先设定好结果的袋鼠法庭
[2:41:29] Why put yourself through more of it? 为什么要让自己经历这么多?
[2:41:32] I have my reasons. 我有我的理由
[2:41:35] Alright. 好吧
[2:41:36] Good night. 晚安
[2:41:42] He has a point. 他说的有道理
[2:41:45] -I’m not sure you understand, Albert. -No? -我不确定你是否明白 阿尔伯特 -不?
[2:41:48] I left my country, never to return. 我离开了我的国家 再也没有回去
[2:41:52] You served your country well. 你为国家贡献那么大
[2:41:54] If this is the reward she offers you, then… 如果这就是她给你的奖励 那么……
[2:41:58] perhaps you should turn your back on her. 也许你应该背弃她
[2:42:01] Damn it, I happen to love this country. 该死的是我偏偏爱着这个国家
[2:42:04] Then tell them to go to hell. 那就让他们见鬼去吧
[2:42:06] Interestingly enough, this is no longer a confirmation hearing. 有趣的是 这不再是一个确认听证会
[2:42:10] It’s now a trial… 现在是一场……
[2:42:12] about a trial! 关于审判的审判!
[2:42:14] For god’s sakes! 看在上帝份上!
[2:42:15] It’s not good he’s telling everyone you initiated the hearings. 他告诉所有人是你发起的听证会可不是什么好事
[2:42:18] He can’t prove a goddamn thing. 他什么玩意也证明不了
[2:42:20] He certainly can’t prove that I gave the file to Borden. 他当然无法证明我把文件交给了博登
[2:42:24] We’re not in court, sir. There’s no burden of proof. 我们不是在法庭上 先生 没有举证责任
[2:42:27] Right, they’re not convicting. 对 他们没有定罪
[2:42:29] They’re just denying. 他们只是在否认
[2:42:31] Why would Hill come here to tear me down? What’s his angle? 希尔为什么要来这里拆我台 他有什么目的?
[2:42:34] Do people need a reason to do the right thing? 人们做正确的事需要理由吗?
[2:42:37] -As he sees it. -I told you. -正如他所看到的 -我告诉过你
[2:42:39] Oppenheimer’s been poisoning the scientists against me 奥本海默一直在蛊惑科学家反对我
[2:42:41] right from that first meeting. 从第一次见面开始
[2:42:43] I don’t know what Oppenheimer said to him that day, 我不知道奥本海默那天对他说了什么
[2:42:46] but Einstein wouldn’t even meet my eye. 搞得爱因斯坦甚至都不愿意正眼瞧我
[2:42:51] Oppenheimer knows how to manipulate his own. 奥本海默知道如何操纵自己的所有
[2:42:53] At Los Alamos, 在洛斯阿拉莫斯
[2:42:55] he preyed on the naivete of scientists 他利用了天真的科学家
[2:42:57] who thought they get a say in how we use their work. 他们认为他们对我们如何使用他们的发明创造拥有发言权
[2:43:00] They’ll never think he was that naive himself. 他们永远不会意识到自己有多么天真
[2:43:02] Doctor, during your work on the hydrogen bomb, 博士 你在研发氢弹的过程中
[2:43:06] were you… deterred by any moral qualms? 有没有……因为道德上的怀疑而退缩?
[2:43:09] Yes, of course. 有的 当然
[2:43:11] But you still got on with your work, didn’t you? 但你仍然继续你的工作 不是吗?
[2:43:13] Yes, because this was work of exploration, 是的 因为这是一项探索性的工作
[2:43:15] it was not the preparation of a weapon. 不是为了研发武器
[2:43:17] You mean it was more of an academic excursion? 你是说这更像是一次学术探险?
[2:43:19] No, it is not an academic thing, whether you can build a hydrogen bomb. 不 能否制造出氢弹 这不是一个学术问题
[2:43:22] It’s a matter of life and death. 而是生死问题
[2:43:24] By 1942, you were actively pushing the development 到了1942年 你积极推动
[2:43:26] of the hydrogen bomb, weren’t you? 氢弹的研发 对吧?
[2:43:27] Pushing is not the right word. “推动”这个词不太恰当
[2:43:28] Supporting it and working on it, yes. 支持并致力于此 是的
[2:43:30] So when did these moral qualms become so strong 那么 什么时候这些道德焦虑变得如此强烈
[2:43:33] that you actively opposed the development of the hydrogen bomb? 令你积极反对发展氢弹?
[2:43:36] When it was suggested that it be the policy of the United States 当有人建议这是美国的国策时
[2:43:39] to make these things at all costs, 不惜一切代价制造这些东西
[2:43:40] without regard to the balance between these weapons 无视这些武器之间的平衡
[2:43:43] and atomic weapons as part of our arsenal. 把原子武器作为我们军火库的一部分
[2:43:47] What do moral qualms have to do with that? 这跟道德焦虑有什么关系?
[2:43:50] -What do moral qualms have to do with it? -Yes. -这跟道德焦虑有什么关系? -是的
[2:43:52] Oppenheimer wanted to own the atomic bomb. 奥本海默想拥有原子弹
[2:43:55] He wanted to be The Man Who Moved the Earth. 他想成为那个撬动地球的人
[2:43:56] He talks about putting the nuclear genie back in the bottle. 他说要把核魔鬼放回瓶子里
[2:44:01] Well, I’m here to tell you that I know, 好吧 我来告诉你 我知道
[2:44:03] J. Robert Oppenheimer, if he could do it all over, he’d do it all the same. J·罗伯特·奥本海默 如果他能重新来过 他还是会这么做
[2:44:08] You know he’s never once said that he regrets Hiroshima? 你知道他从来没有说过他对广岛事件感到后悔吗?
[2:44:12] He’d do it all over. Why? 他会再做一遍 为什么?
[2:44:14] Because it made him the most important man who ever lived. 因为这让他成为有史以来最重要的人
[2:44:20] We freely used the atomic bomb. 我们自由地使用原子弹
[2:44:22] In fact, Doctor, you assisted in selecting the target 事实上 博士 你协助选择了目标
[2:44:25] to drop the atomic bomb on Japan, didn’t you? 向日本投下原子弹 不是吗?
[2:44:27] -Yes… -Well then, you knew, did you not, – 是的…… – 那么 你说 你不知道
[2:44:29] that by dropping that atomic bomb on the target you selected, 把原子弹投向你选定的目标
[2:44:31] that thousands of civilians would be killed or injured. Is that correct? 成千上万的平民会被杀害或受伤 对吗?
[2:44:34] Yes, not as many as turned out. 是的 没想到那么多
[2:44:36] Oh. Then how many were killed or injured? 噢 那么有多少人死伤呢?
[2:44:39] -70,000. -70,000, both Hiroshima and… -7万 -7万 广岛和……
[2:44:42] -110,000 to both. -On the day of each bombing? -两者合计11万 -在两颗核弹爆炸当天?
[2:44:46] -Yes. -是的 -是的 -Yes.
[2:44:47] And in the weeks and years that followed? 接下来的几周和几年呢?
[2:44:49] It has been put at somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000. 估计在5万到10万之间
[2:44:52] 220,000 dead, at least. 至少有22万人死亡
[2:44:54] -Yes. -Any moral scruples about that? -是的 -对此有道德上的怀疑吗?
[2:44:58] Terrible ones. 糟糕透顶
[2:44:59] But yet you testified in here that the bombing of Hiroshima was very successful. 但是你在这里作证说广岛原子弹爆炸非常成功
[2:45:03] -Technically successful. -Oh! Technically it was very successful. -技术上是成功的 -噢 技术上来说非常成功
[2:45:06] And it is also alleged to have helped to end the war. 而且据说它还加快了战争的结束
[2:45:08] Would you have been supportive of the dropping of a hydrogen bomb on Hiroshima? 你会支持在广岛投下氢弹吗?
[2:45:12] That would make no sense at all. 这根本说不通
[2:45:13] -Why? -The target is too small. -为什么? -目标太小
[2:45:16] Well, supposing there had been a target in Japan 好吧 假设在日本有个目标
[2:45:18] big enough for a thermonuclear weapon, 大到足以需要动用热核武器
[2:45:20] would you have been opposed to the dropping of it? 你会反对投下氢弹吗?
[2:45:21] This was not a problem with which I was confronted. 我从来没遇上这样的问题
[2:45:23] Well, I’m confronting you with it now, sir. 好吧 我现在就来和你对质 先生
[2:45:25] It was all part of his plan. 这都是他计划的一部分
[2:45:26] He wanted the glorious, insincere guilt of the self-important 他想要的是自大狂那种光荣而虚伪的罪恶感
[2:45:30] to wear like a fucking crown and say, 戴着他妈的皇冠然后说
[2:45:33] “No, we cannot go down this road,” even as he knew we’d have to. “不 我们不能走这条路” 即使他知道我们必须这么做
[2:45:38] Would you have been opposed to the dropping of a thermonuclear weapon 你会出于道德上的顾虑
[2:45:41] on Japan because of moral scruples? -Yes, I believe I would, sir. 而反对投下氢弹吗? -是的 我相信我会的 先生
[2:45:44] Did you oppose the dropping of an atomic bomb on Hiroshima 你是否反对在广岛投下原子弹
[2:45:46] because of moral scruples? 因为道德上的顾虑?
[2:45:47] -We set forth our… -No, you, you, you, you! -我们开始…… -不 你 你 你 你!
[2:45:50] -I’m asking you… -I set… 我在问你…… 我设了……
[2:45:51] -You, you, you! -I set forth our arguments -你 你 你! -我陈述了我们的观点
[2:45:53] against dropping it, but I did not endorse them. 反对投下 但我没有赞成
[2:45:55] You mean after working night and day for three years building the bomb, 你是说在日以继夜地制造了三年的炸弹之后
[2:45:58] you then argued against the use of it? 你竟然反对使用它?
[2:46:01] I was asked by the Secretary of War what the views of scientists were. 战争部长问我 科学家的观点是什么
[2:46:04] I gave them the views against and the views for. 我给了他们反对和赞成的意见
[2:46:07] You supported the dropping of the atom bomb 你支持投下原子弹
[2:46:09] on Japan, didn’t you? -What do you mean… 在日本 不是吗? -你什么意思……
[2:46:10] -You supported it… -What do you mean, support? -你支持它…… -支持?你什么意思
[2:46:12] Well, you helped pick the target, didn’t you? 你帮助选择了目标 不是吗?
[2:46:13] I did my job. I was not in a policy-making position at Los Alamos. 我做了我的工作 我在洛斯阿拉莫斯不是做决策的
[2:46:17] I would have done anything I was asked to do. 要我做什么我都会去做
[2:46:19] Well, then, you would have built the H-bomb too, wouldn’t you? 那么 你也会制造氢弹 不是吗?
[2:46:21] -But I couldn’t… -I didn’t ask you that, Doctor! -但是我不能…… -我没问你这个 博士!
[2:46:24] And the GAC report, which you co-authored after the Soviet atomic test said: 你在苏联核试验后参与撰写的总结评审报告中说:
[2:46:28] “A super bomb should never be built!” “氢弹永远不应该制造出来!”
[2:46:31] What we meant, what I meant… 我们的意思是 我的意思是……
[2:46:33] -What you, who? -Look, what I meant… -什么 你 谁? -看 我的意思是……
[2:46:34] Who? 谁?
[2:46:36] Well, wouldn’t the Russians do anything to increase their strength? 那么 俄罗斯人难道不会为增强实力而不择手段吗?
[2:46:40] If we did it, they would have to do it! 如果我们这么做了 他们也必须这么做!
[2:46:42] Our efforts would only fuel their efforts, 我们的努力只会助长他们的努力
[2:46:44] just as it had with the atomic bomb! 就像原子弹一样!
[2:46:46] Just as it had with the atomic bomb, exactly! 就像原子弹一样!说得好
[2:46:50] No moral scruples in 1945, plenty in 1949. 1945年没有道德顾忌 1949年却顾忌重重
[2:46:59] Dr. Oppenheimer… 奥本海默博士……
[2:47:02] when did your strong moral convictions develop with respect to the hydrogen bomb? 你什么时候对氢弹产生强烈的道德信念的?
[2:47:14] When it became clear to me 当我逐渐明白
[2:47:18] that we would tend to use any weapon we had. 我们会倾向于使用任何我们拥有的武器
[2:47:24] J. Robert Oppenheimer the martyr, I gave him exactly what he wanted. J·罗伯特·奥本海默 我给了他想要的
[2:47:29] To be remembered for Trinity, 因为“三位一体”而名垂青史
[2:47:31] not Hiroshima! 不是广岛!
[2:47:34] Not Nagasaki! 不是长崎!
[2:47:39] He should be thanking me. 他应该感谢我
[2:47:41] Well, he’s not. 可 他没有
[2:47:46] Do we still have enough votes? 我们还有足够的票吗?
[2:47:48] Or is the crowning moment of my career 还是说我职业生涯的巅峰时刻
[2:47:50] about to become the most public humiliation of my life? 即将成为我一生中最公开的羞辱?
[2:47:54] Full Senate’s about to vote. 全体参议员要投票了
[2:47:56] You’ll scrape through. 你会顺利过关的
[2:47:57] Great, then gather the fucking press. 太棒了 那就召集该死的媒体
[2:47:59] Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer, this board, 罗伯特·奥本海默博士 本委员会
[2:48:02] having heard testimony from you 听取了你的证词
[2:48:04] and many of your current and former colleagues, 以及你的许多现任和前任同事的证据
[2:48:07] has come to the unanimous conclusion that you are a loyal citizen. 我们一致得出结论 你是一个忠诚的公民
[2:48:14] However… 但是……
[2:48:16] In the light of your continuing associations, 鉴于你们一直有联系
[2:48:19] and disregard for the security apparatus of this country, 无视这个国家的安全机构
[2:48:23] together with your somewhat disturbing conduct 再加上你在氢弹项目上
[2:48:26] on the hydrogen bomb program, 令人不安的行为
[2:48:28] and the regrettable lack of candor 以及你对委员会的某些回答
[2:48:30] in certain of your responses to this board, 令人遗憾的缺乏坦诚
[2:48:33] we have voted, two-to-one, 我们以二比一的投票结果
[2:48:36] to deny the renewal of your security clearance. 拒绝延长你的安全许可
[2:48:39] A full written opinion, with a dissent from Mr. Evans, 一份完整的意见书 包括埃文斯先生的异议
[2:48:42] will be issued to the AEC in the coming days. 会在未来几天内递交原子能委员会
[2:48:45] That is all. 就这样
[2:48:57] Robert. 罗伯特
[2:48:59] Robert. 罗伯特
[2:49:04] Don’t… 别……
[2:49:08] Don’t take in the sheets. 别把床单收起来
[2:49:15] Two minutes. Two minutes! 两分钟 两分钟!
[2:49:17] You’ll get your shot! 会有时间拍照!
[2:49:22] Is it official? 结果出来了吗?
[2:49:26] Well, there were a couple of unexpected holdouts. 嗯 有几个出乎意料的反对者
[2:49:35] I’m denied. Yeah? 我被否决了 是吗?
[2:49:37] -I’m afraid so, sir. -Alright. -恐怕是这样 先生 -好吧
[2:49:47] Who were the holdouts? 谁不肯合作?
[2:49:48] Um, there were three. 呃 有三个人
[2:49:51] Led by the junior senator from Massachusetts. 由马萨诸塞州的资深参议员领导
[2:49:54] Young guy trying to make a name for himself, 一个初出茅庐的年轻人
[2:49:55] didn’t like what you did to Oppenheimer. 不喜欢你对奥本海默做的事
[2:49:58] What’s his name? 他叫什么名字?
[2:50:00] Uh, Kennedy. 呃 肯尼迪
[2:50:02] John F. Kennedy. 约翰·F·肯尼迪
[2:50:07] Kitty? 凯蒂?
[2:50:14] Did you think that if you let them tar and feather you, 你是不是以为 如果你让他们给你涂上柏油和羽毛
[2:50:18] then the world would forgive you? 那么全世界将会原谅你?
[2:50:24] It won’t. 不会的
[2:50:27] We’ll see. 再说吧
[2:50:43] You told me I’d be okay. 你说过我会没事的
[2:50:45] Yeah, well, I didn’t have all the facts, did I? 是的 好吧 我没有掌握所有的事实 不是吗?
[2:50:48] Here’s a fact. 事实是
[2:50:49] President Eisenhower pinned the Medal of Freedom on my chest last year, 去年艾森豪威尔总统把自由勋章别在我胸前
[2:50:53] because I’ve always done what’s right for this country. 因为我一直在为这个国家做正确的事
[2:50:55] They don’t want me in the cabinet room? Well, that’s… that’s fine. 他们不想让我进内阁? 嗯 没……没关系
[2:51:00] Maybe they should just invite Oppenheimer instead. 也许他们应该邀请奥本海默
[2:51:02] Maybe they will. 也许他们会的
[2:51:04] I told you. He turned the scientists against me, 我告诉过你 他让科学家们反对我
[2:51:07] one by one, starting with Einstein. 一个接一个 从爱因斯坦开始
[2:51:09] I told you about that. Einstein. Einstein by the pond. 我跟你说过的 爱因斯坦 爱因斯坦在池塘边
[2:51:12] You did, but you know, sir, since nobody… 是的 但是你知道 先生 因为没有人……
[2:51:15] really knows what they said to each other that day, 真的知道他们那天互相说了什么
[2:51:17] is it possible they didn’t talk about you at all? 有没有可能他们根本没谈论过你?
[2:51:21] Is it possible they spoke about something, uh… 有没有可能他们谈到了什么 呃……
[2:51:24] more important? 更重要的?
[2:51:41] Thank you. 谢谢
[2:51:42] Albert. 阿尔伯特
[2:51:47] The man of the moment. 风云人物
[2:51:52] You once held a reception for me in Berkeley. 你曾经在伯克利为我举办过一场招待会
[2:51:57] -You gave me an award, hmm? -Yes. -你颁给我一个奖 记得吗? -记得
[2:52:00] You all thought that I had lost the ability to understand what I’d started. 你们都以为我已经无法理解自己开创的学科
[2:52:05] So… 所以……
[2:52:07] The award really wasn’t for me, it was for all of you, hmm? 那个奖不是给我的 是给你们的对不对
[2:52:13] Now it’s your turn 现在轮到你了
[2:52:15] to deal with the consequences of your achievement. 你不得不面对你的成就引发的后果
[2:52:21] And one day, when they’ve punished you enough, 等哪天 他们觉得你的惩罚够了
[2:52:27] they’ll serve you salmon and potato salad. 他们就会为你送上鲑鱼和土豆沙拉
[2:52:35] Make speeches. 让你发表演讲
[2:52:37] Give you a medal. 给你一枚勋章
[2:52:41] Hello, Frank. 你好 弗兰克
[2:52:43] You’re happy, I’m happy. 你开心 我就开心
[2:52:51] Pat you on the back, tell you all is forgiven. 拍拍你的背 告诉你一切已经既往不咎
[2:52:55] Just remember… 记住了……
[2:52:58] it won’t be for you. 他们那样做不是为了你
[2:53:05] It’ll be for them. 而是为了他们自己
[2:53:20] Albert… 阿尔伯特……
[2:53:24] when I came to you with those calculations, 当我带着计算结果来找你时
[2:53:27] we thought we might start a chain reaction 我们认为我们可能会引发链式反应
[2:53:29] that would destroy the entire world. 从而毀灭整个世界
[2:53:34] I remember it well. What of it? 我记得很清楚 那又怎样?
[2:53:41] I believe we did. 我们毁灭了世界
[2:54:31] 【 奥 本 海 默 】
[2:54:37] 编剧/导演: 克里斯托弗·诺兰
2023年 Tags:奥斯卡金像奖, 最新

Post navigation

Previous Post: Nightcrawler(夜行者)[2014]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计
Next Post: Annie Hall(安妮·霍尔)[1977]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Archives

  • July 2024
  • June 2024

Categories

  • 1931年
  • 1939年
  • 1941年
  • 1942年
  • 1943年
  • 1944年
  • 1948年
  • 1952年
  • 1953年
  • 1954年
  • 1955年
  • 1956年
  • 1957年
  • 1958年
  • 1959年
  • 1960年
  • 1961年
  • 1962年
  • 1963年
  • 1964年
  • 1966年
  • 1967年
  • 1968年
  • 1969年
  • 1970年
  • 1971年
  • 1972年
  • 1973年
  • 1974年
  • 1975年
  • 1976年
  • 1977年
  • 1978年
  • 1979年
  • 1980年
  • 1981年
  • 1982年
  • 1983年
  • 1984年
  • 1985年
  • 1986年
  • 1987年
  • 1988年
  • 1989年
  • 1990年
  • 1991年
  • 1992年
  • 1993年
  • 1994年
  • 1995年
  • 1996年
  • 1997年
  • 1998年
  • 1999年
  • 2000年
  • 2001年
  • 2002年
  • 2003年
  • 2004年
  • 2005年
  • 2006年
  • 2007年
  • 2008年
  • 2009年
  • 2010年
  • 2011年
  • 2012年
  • 2013年
  • 2014年
  • 2015年
  • 2016年
  • 2017年
  • 2018年
  • 2019年
  • 2020年
  • 2021年
  • 2022年
  • 2023年
  • 2024年
  • barui
  • Uncategorized
  • 一切安好
  • 中央公园
  • 亢奋
  • 亿万
  • 传世
  • 兄弟连
  • 克拉丽丝
  • 克拉克森的农场
  • 内裤队长
  • 副警长
  • 十字剑
  • 博斯
  • 卡特特工
  • 双城之战
  • 发展受阻
  • 叶卡捷琳娜大帝
  • 哈哈大校
  • 坏法官
  • 坏老师
  • 基本演绎法
  • 大城小妞
  • 大学生费莉希蒂
  • 大神偷卡门
  • 大西洋帝国
  • 天使在美国
  • 娃娃脸
  • 小小安妮
  • 小谎大事
  • 少年间谍亚历克斯
  • 布里奇顿
  • 幻灭
  • 废柴联盟
  • 康斯坦丁
  • 开心汉堡店
  • 德古拉
  • 德里女孩
  • 怒呛人生
  • 恋爱挑战书
  • 惊异传奇
  • 惊悚50州
  • 意乱情迷
  • 成瘾剂量
  • 我为喜剧狂
  • 找寻自我
  • 摩斯探长前传
  • 教师情事
  • 敢不敢挑战我
  • 新成长的烦恼
  • 日常谜团
  • 明日传奇
  • 星际之门亚特兰蒂斯
  • 更美好的事
  • 末日巡逻队
  • 杀无赦
  • 柏林谍影
  • 死亡医师
  • 比弗利娇妻
  • 波士顿法律
  • 火线警告
  • 灵书妙探
  • 犯罪心理
  • 犯罪现场调查·拉斯维加斯
  • 犯罪现场调查·纽约篇
  • 犯罪现场调查迈阿密
  • 狂欢命案
  • 狄金森
  • 狗狗博客
  • 生活
  • 生活大爆炸
  • 眼见为虚
  • 破产姐妹
  • 破发点大满贯之路
  • 神烦警探
  • 红粉联盟
  • 绝命律师
  • 绝命毒师
  • 绝望的主妇
  • 绿箭侠
  • 罪恶黑名单
  • 美国众神
  • 美国恐怖故事
  • 美国罪案故事
  • 美女上错身
  • 美式主妇
  • 脆莓公园
  • 致命陷阱
  • 艾米丽在巴黎
  • 芝加哥急救
  • 芝加哥烈焰
  • 芝加哥警署
  • 蛇蝎女佣
  • 贴身保镖
  • 达芬奇的恶魔
  • 迷失
  • 逃离丹尼莫拉
  • 逝者之证
  • 郊狼
  • 金牌律师
  • 铁证悬案
  • 随性所欲
  • 零异频道
  • 马男波杰克
  • 鲍勃心动
  • 麻木不仁
  • 黑吃黑
  • 黑帆
  • 黑暗救赎
  • 黑色星期一
{"status":false,"code":5000,"msg":"失败"}

Copyright © 2025 英美剧电影台词站.

Powered by PressBook WordPress theme