Skip to content

英美剧电影台词站

My Salinger Year(职场心计文学梦)[2020]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计

Posted on June 16, 2024 By taiciben_script_user No Comments on My Salinger Year(职场心计文学梦)[2020]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计
电影名称:职场心计文学梦
英文名称:My Salinger Year
年代:2020

推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 英文 中文
[00:51] I grew up in a quiet suburban town, 我出生在一个安静的小乡村,
[00:53] just north of New York. 就在纽约北部。
[00:55] On special occasions, my dad would take me into the city, 在特殊场合,我爸会带我去城里,
[00:58] and we would go and get dessert at the Waldorf or the Plaza. 我们会去华尔道夫酒店或广场酒店吃甜点。
[01:02] I loved watching the people around us. 我喜欢看我们周围的人。
[01:05] They seemed to have interesting lives. 他们的生活似乎很有趣。
[01:07] I wanted to be one of them. 我想成为他们中的一员。
[01:09] I wanted to write novels 我想写小说
[01:11] and speak 5 languages and travel. 会说5种语言,还能旅游。
[01:15] I didn’t want to be ordinary. 我不想做一个普通人。
[01:19] I wanted to be extraordinary. 我想要与众不同。
[01:24] Those memories came storming back to me last year 那些记忆在去年强烈地回到我的脑海里
[01:27] when I came to visit my best friend in New York. 当我来纽约拜访我最好的朋友的时候
[01:30] I was only supposed to stay a few days, 我本来计划在这里就待几天,
[01:32] and then return to Berkeley, 然后返回伯克利,
[01:34] where my boyfriend was waiting on me. 那是我男朋友希望我去的地方。
[01:39] But something shifted. 但有些事情发生了变化。
[01:42] I want to stay in New York for a while. 我想在纽约待一段时间。
[01:44] A while? What do you mean, a while? 一段时间?你指的一段时间是什么?
[01:47] What about your semester? 那你这学期的学习呢?
[01:48] Yeah, but see, that’s just it. 是的,但你看,就是这样。
[01:49] I don’t want to analyze other people’s work anymore, Karl. 我不想再分析别人的作品了,卡尔。
[01:52] I want to write. 我想写作。
[01:53] In New York? 在纽约?
[01:54] Yeah. 是的。
[01:58] In New York… 在纽约……
[02:01] Isn’t that what aspiring writers did? 有抱负的作家不就是这么做的吗?
[02:03] Live in cheap apartments and write in cafés? 住在便宜的公寓里,在咖啡馆里写作?
[02:07] Yeah, I know. 是的,我知道。
[02:09] But it’s what I wanted! 但这正是我想要的!
[02:45] My boss says we’re going paperless. 我老板说我们要实现无纸化了。
[02:48] – All emails. – Hmm. — 所有的邮件。— 嗯。
[02:49] It’s driving me nuts, with everyone writing about nothing, 我快疯了,每个人都在写什么,
[02:53] answering, “Thanks,” or worse, “You’re welcome.” 回答“谢谢”,或者更糟,“不客气”。
[02:56] My colleague sends me emails to ask me when I’m having lunch. 我的同事给我发邮件问我什么时候吃午饭。
[03:00] I hope this is just a trend that will phase out. 我希望这只是一种逐渐消失的趋势。
[03:03] I miss your rants. 我想念你的咆哮。
[03:06] Everyone in Berkeley is so serious 伯克利的每个人都很严肃
[03:07] and into jogging and wearing Tevas. 喜欢慢跑,穿Tevas(休闲鞋品牌)。
[03:10] Fucking Tevas! 去他的Tevas !
[03:12] I’m like this big cloud of East Coast irony 我就像一大片东海岸的云团
[03:15] haunting Southern California. 萦绕着南加州。
[03:16] Hmm, turning everything into ash. 把一切都化为灰烬。
[03:20] – That’s me. – Mmm! —这就是我。—嗯!
[03:22] Does Karl feel the same? 卡尔也有同感吗?
[03:27] Um, it’s not really the same for him, 对他来说就不一样了,
[03:29] cause he’s been there for a couple years, 因为他已经在那待了几年了,
[03:32] and the university sort of treats him like a star. 学校把他当明星一样对待。
[03:35] Oh, well… 哦,好吧……
[03:37] Hey, Jenny, um… 嘿,珍妮,嗯……
[03:40] I don’t know exactly how long 我不知道具体要多久
[03:42] I’m gonna be staying in New York. 我会待在纽约。
[03:44] Don’t worry! Just keep making yourself at home. 别担心!你就当自己家好了。
[03:48] Eat anything. 东西随便吃。
[03:50] OK. 好的。
[04:01] MA in English literature, University College in London. 伦敦大学学院英国文学硕士。
[04:05] I suppose that would make you more appealing 我想那样会让你更有吸引力
[04:07] to some publishers, 对一些出版商而言,
[04:09] less to most. 最好就是简单点。
[04:12] You published poetry? 你发表的诗歌吗?
[04:15] Yes, yes, in The Paris Review. 是的,是的,在巴黎诗会。
[04:17] I just won their student contest. 我刚赢了他们的学生比赛。
[04:19] Leave that out. 算了吧。
[04:21] Publishers avoid wannabe writers. 出版商会避免想成为作家的人。
[04:23] Oh. That is what I wa-want to do, though. 哦。可这正是我想做的。
[04:27] Event-eventually. 最终目的。
[04:28] Oh! I got it! Not a publisher. 哦!我理解了!那别考虑出版商了。
[04:32] How about a literary agency? 做个文学代理怎么样?
[04:37] Yeah, great! 是的,太棒了!
[04:38] The oldest in New York. 纽约最老的职业之一。
[04:40] Do you type? 你会打字吗?
[04:41] Uh, I took typing in, um, 7th grade. 我七年级时学过打字。
[04:43] Of course you don’t type. 你当然不会打字。
[04:45] She’s gonna ask if you type, and you’re gonna say… 她会问你是否打字,你会说……
[04:49] Yes! 是的!
[04:51] Sixty words a minute. 一分钟60个字。
[04:59] But do you type on a typewriter? 但你用打字机打字吗?
[05:03] It’s very different from typing on one of those computers. 这和在那些电脑上打字很不一样。
[05:07] Yes. 是的。
[05:10] What do you like to read? 你喜欢读什么书?
[05:16] Everything. 一切。
[05:18] Uh, Lurie, Hammet, Donald Westlake. 卢瑞,汉密特,唐纳德·韦斯特莱克
[05:21] Hmm… 嗯……
[05:23] I just finished A Sentimental Education, 我刚读完《情感教育》,
[05:25] and I loved it. 我很喜欢。
[05:26] It was so contemporary. I was amazed. 它是如此的现代。我很惊讶。
[05:28] Gustave Flaubert… 古斯塔夫·福楼拜……(法国现实主义文学大师)
[05:29] Oui, c’est très bien, ma chère, 是的,是très bien, ma chère,
[05:30] but to be in this field, 但在这个领域,
[05:32] you’ll need to read authors who are alive. 你需要阅读那些还活着的作家。
[05:34] Mmm… I love Flaubert! 嗯……我爱福楼拜!
[05:37] I like Westlake. He’s funny. 我喜欢西湖。他很有趣。
[05:42] I guess you can start after Christmas. 我想你可以在圣诞节后开始。
[05:45] We’ll talk about Jerry then. 我们到时再谈杰瑞。
[05:46] Ah, Jerry! 啊,杰瑞!
[05:48] I’m sure you’ve heard that he’s crazy or senile 你肯定听说过他要么疯了,要么老了
[05:51] or a misanthrope. 或愤世嫉俗者。
[05:52] All lies. He’s not the problem. 所有的谎言。他不是问题所在。
[05:54] It’s these people who relentlessly call 就是这些人不停地打电话
[05:57] for his address, his phone number, 他的地址,电话号码,
[05:59] asking to be put in touch with him, or even with me! 要求和他联系,甚至和我联系!
[06:03] Reporters, students, university deans, producers. 记者,学生,大学院长,制片人。
[06:07] They can be persuasive, manipulative. 他们可能很有说服力,很有控制欲。
[06:10] But, you must never, ever 但是,你永远不能
[06:14] give out his address. 把他的地址给别人。
[06:16] Do you understand? 你明白吗?
[06:18] I understand. 我明白了。
[06:20] Good. 好。
[06:21] Remember, there’s no shortage of college graduates 记住,大学毕业生并不短缺
[06:25] who want this job. 想要这份工作的人。
[06:29] Be prepared for long hours. 做好长时间工作的准备。
[06:32] Pam will give you a key. 帕姆会给你钥匙的。
[06:34] Pam. OK. 帕姆。好的。
[06:36] Thank you so much. 非常感谢。
[06:37] I can’t tell you how honored and thrilled I am. 我无法表达我有多荣幸和激动。
[06:40] No need to be honored. 没必要受宠若惊。
[06:42] Thrilled, maybe. Margaret is pretty thrilling. 激动,也许。玛格丽特很令人兴奋。
[06:48] I’m Daniel, by the way. 对了,我叫丹尼尔。
[06:58] She’ll be starting after the holidays, January. 她会在假期后,一月开始工作。
[07:03] That Jerry! 杰里!
[07:07] Ah… 啊……
[07:10] I didn’t know yet what a literary agency was, 我还不知道什么是文学代理,
[07:13] but felt like I’d stepped closer 但我感觉,可以进一步地了解
[07:17] to the world of writers. 那些世界闻名的作家了。
[07:19] I was to be surrounded by godlike literary names. 我将被那些美妙的文学名字所环绕。
[07:24] No doubt, their proximity would inspire my own writing. 毫无疑问,接触他们会激发我写作的灵感。
[07:34] Well, congratulations on your new job. 恭喜你找到了新工作。
[07:38] Here is your key. 这是您的钥匙。
[07:41] Do not lose it. 不要失了。
[07:42] We will expect you at 8:00 a.m. sharp, January 8. 我们期待你在1月8日早上8点准时到场。
[07:50] I never went back to Berkeley. 我再也不回伯克利了。
[07:52] New York was to be my new home, writing, my new life, 纽约将是我的新家、写作就是我的新生活,
[07:55] with a coveted job to pay the rent. 令人垂涎的工作完全可以支付租金。
[07:57] – Hi! – Hey! —你好!—嘿!
[07:59] Um… Hey! Come, come, come join us. 嗯……嘿!来,来,加入我们。
[08:02] – Hi! – Hi, hi, Mark. —你好!— 嗨,嗨,马克。
[08:03] – Everyone, this is Joanna. – I’m Joanna. Yeah, hi! —各位,这是乔安娜。—我是乔安娜。是的,你好!
[08:06] And this is Mark. This is Lisa. 这位是马克。这是丽莎。
[08:07] They, uh, they just got engaged 他们,他们刚刚订婚了
[08:09] so, uh, we’re celebrating. 所以,我们要庆祝一下。
[08:11] Oh, wow! Oh my goodness! 哦,哇!哦我的天哪!
[08:12] Congratulations! 恭喜你!
[08:13] It’s fake. 这是假的。
[08:14] Sit… sit… sit down. 坐……坐……坐下来。
[08:16] The office is incredible. 办公室真是太棒了。
[08:19] It’s like nothing’s changed since 1927. 自1927年以来,一切都没变过。
[08:22] And, um, guess who my boss represents. 猜猜我老板代表的是谁。
[08:25] – Anne Rice? – The Pope. —安妮·赖斯?—教皇。
[08:26] – Thomas Pynchon. – J.D. Salinger. —托马斯·品钦。—J.D.塞林格。
[08:29] – No way! – He’s still alive? —没门!—他还活着?
[08:31] Yeah, he is. 是的,他是。
[08:32] He lives up in New Hampshire, in basically total isolation. 他住在新罕布什尔州,基本上完全与世隔绝。
[08:35] Reporters are always trying to ambush him in the local diner 记者们总是想在当地的餐馆里偶遇他
[08:38] or try to sneak onto his property. 或者偷偷溜进他的房子。
[08:40] I love Catcher in the Rye. 我喜欢《麦田里的守望者》
[08:41] Franny and Zooey is my favorite. 《弗兰妮与佐伊》是我的最爱。
[08:42] My friend Kat used to work at his publisher’s. 我朋友凯特以前在他的出版社工作。
[08:45] And, one night, she was working late, 有天晚上,她工作到很晚,
[08:47] like, 1:00 a.m. late, 比如,凌晨一点,
[08:49] and the phone rings in the office and keeps ringing. 办公室里的电话响个不停。
[08:52] So she picks it up, 于是她拿起来,
[08:53] and she heard someone screaming. 她听到有人在尖叫。
[08:55] The manuscript is OK! 手稿是安全了!
[08:57] I saved the manuscript from the fire! 我把手稿从火里救了出来!
[09:01] Salinger? 塞林格吗?
[09:02] His house had burned down, 他的房子被烧毁了,
[09:05] and he called in the middle of the night, 他在半夜给我打电话,
[09:07] assuming someone would be at the office. 假设有人在办公室。
[09:09] Isn’t that crazy? 这不是疯了吗?
[09:10] I read he still writes, but doesn’t want to publish. 我读到他还在写作,但不想出版。
[09:13] Writing makes you a writer. 写作使你成为作家。
[09:14] Publishing is commerce. 出版是商务。
[09:16] That is such a crock of shit, Don! 这简直是一派胡言,唐!
[09:18] This is some pre-emptive strike argument 这是一种先发制人的论调
[09:20] in case he never sells a novel, 万一他从来没卖过小说,
[09:22] if you ever finish. 如果你能完成。
[09:23] I will, but today is about Joanna 我会的,但今天是乔安娜的事
[09:26] and her crossing to the dark side 以及她如何走向黑暗
[09:27] with the book merchants. 和书商在一起。
[09:28] – Cheers! – Cheers! —干杯! —干杯!
[09:30] Thanks! 谢谢!
[09:32] I had met Don days earlier 我碰到唐是在不久以前
[09:33] in a socialist bookstore where he worked part time. 他在一家社会主义书店兼职
[09:38] Haven’t seen you around here before. 以前在这儿没见过你。
[09:40] Let me guess. 让我猜一猜。
[09:41] You’re an intern at The New Yorker? 你是《纽约客》的实习生吗?
[09:44] Besides fighting materialism and raising class awareness, 除了反对物质主义和提高阶级意识之外
[09:48] Don amuse boxing, Norman Mailer and… 唐喜欢拳击,诺曼·梅勒,还有
[09:51] Yeah, I’m writing a novel. 是的,我在写小说。
[09:52] He was straightforward about being a writer. 他一直向往成为一个作家。
[09:55] I admired his confidence. 我钦佩他的信心。
[09:57] Do you know the Panama Café? 你知道巴拿马咖啡馆吗?
[09:59] It’s on Avenue A. It’s kind of like a writers’ hangout. 它在A大道,有点像作家的聚集地。
[10:02] I do, actually, yeah, they have… 我有,事实上,他们有……
[10:04] Poetry readings. 诗歌朗诵。
[10:07] Love is the one who’s hard to find. 爱,就是那个很难找到的人。
[10:09] Love’s the one who knows your mind. 爱是那个懂你心思的人。
[10:12] Love’s the one who feeds your soul. 爱是滋养你灵魂的人。
[10:14] Love’s the one to have and hold. 爱是拥有和不放手的人。
[10:17] But hold a minute. Hold how? 但是等一下。持有如何?
[10:19] There’s a hundred hungry ways to hold her up or hold her down. 有上百种方法可以把她扶起来或压下去。
[10:23] Will she still be able to get around? 她还能四处走动吗?
[10:25] Will she be able to hold her ground? 她能坚持自己的立场吗?
[10:29] So she digs down deep to the bottom of the box 于是她一直挖到箱子的底部
[10:32] to find the original hide of the fox. 寻找狐狸的原始皮。
[10:34] And it’s there, all right. 它就在那里。
[10:36] Where the hell were you? 你到底去哪了?
[10:38] Cut the goddamn grass today, 今天割下该死的草,
[10:39] or else I’m selling your K-car, you hear? 不然我就把你的车卖了,听见了吗?
[10:51] Dear Mr. Salinger, 亲爱的塞林格,
[10:54] I read your book The Catcher In the Rye 我读了你的书《麦田里的守望者》
[10:56] 3 times now. 3次。
[10:57] It’s a masterpiece, and I hope you’re proud of it. 这是一部杰作,我相信你一定引以为豪。
[11:00] I mean, you certainly should be. 我的意思是,你肯定是的。
[11:04] Most of the crap that’s written today 大多数今天写的废话
[11:06] is so uncompelling, it makes me sick. 非常隐晦,也让我不舒服。
[11:08] I mean, not too many people write anything 我的意思是,没有多少人写东西
[11:10] that even approaches sincerity. 是完全出于真心的。
[11:11] And I don’t mean to say ,我不是说
[11:12] that everyone who reads your book gets it, 每个人读你的书可以理解,
[11:15] not at all. 至少是,
[11:16] Lots of people don’t. 大部分的人
[11:19] I mean, I can give you plenty of idiotic examples, 我是说,我可以给你很多愚蠢的例子,
[11:21] but I won’t. 但我不会。
[11:24] You might be laughing out loud right now at the thought, 想到这里你可能会笑出声来,
[11:27] but I think I get it. 但我认为我可以。
[11:30] Maybe I don’t. 也许我也不行。
[11:36] Hello! 你好!
[11:54] Well, you’re here. 嗯,你在这里。
[11:56] I am! 我是!
[11:59] We know you can type, hooray! 我们知道你会打字,万岁!
[12:01] But have you ever used a dictaphone? 但你用过录音机吗?
[12:04] At ease. 自在。
[12:07] It can be tricky at first, 一开始可能有点棘手,
[12:08] but I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it. 但我相信你会找到窍门的。
[12:12] Play, rewind, and I think those control speed. 播放,倒带,我认为这些控制速度。
[12:16] Hugh can help. 休可以帮助。
[12:17] Hugh… 休……
[12:18] You can get started with these. 你可以从这些开始。
[12:23] This is our technological area. 这是我们的技术领域。
[12:26] It is all very new. 这一切都是全新的。
[12:28] This is the Xerox machine you’ll use 这是你要用的复印机
[12:30] to make copies of my correspondence. 复印我的信件。
[12:32] I believe that is the button you press to make a copy. 我想那就是你要复制的按钮。
[12:36] Did she give you her speech 她给你演讲了吗
[12:37] about the evils of the digital age yet? 关于数字时代的邪恶?
[12:39] Max, this is Joanna, my new assistant. 麦克斯,这是乔安娜,我的新助理。
[12:41] – Hello, Joanna! – Max. —你好,乔安娜!—麦克斯。
[12:43] – Nice to meet you. – Nice to meet you. —很高兴见到你。—很高兴见到你。
[12:44] Um… 嗯……
[12:47] So, there are no computers? 所以,没有电脑?
[12:49] We choose not to use computers. 我们选择不使用电脑。
[12:51] I’ve seen them in action. 我看过他们的行动。
[12:53] They just make more work for everyone, wasting time. 他们只是为每个人创造更多的工作,浪费时间。
[12:56] All right. 好吧。
[12:58] As you can see, we have a relaxed, cordial environment. 如您所见,我们有一个轻松、亲切的环境。
[13:03] We ask that you don’t wear dungarees, sneakers, 我们要求你不要穿工装裤,运动鞋,
[13:06] T-shirts, sweatshirts, especially the kind with hoods. T恤,运动衫,尤其是带兜帽的那种。
[13:09] No open-toed shoes, 没有穿露脚的鞋子,
[13:10] but it’s perfectly fine to wear trousers if you’re a woman, 但如果你是女人,穿裤子是完全没问题的,
[13:13] and no need to wear stockings in the summer. 夏天也不需要穿长筒袜。
[13:16] Bare legs are perfectly fine. 光腿就很好了。
[13:18] And if Jerry calls, you just say: 如果杰瑞打电话来,你就说
[13:20] “Yes, Jerry, I will let my boss know.” “好的,杰瑞,我会告诉我老板的。”
[13:23] Jerry Salinger? 杰瑞·塞林格吗?
[13:25] Well, of course, Jerry Salinger. 当然是杰里·塞林格。
[13:26] And above all, you never, ever call him. 最重要的是,你永远,永远不要给他打电话。
[13:29] Why would I call Jerry Salinger? 我为什么要给杰里·塞林格打电话?
[13:32] Jerry doesn’t want to hear about 杰瑞不想听
[13:34] how much you loved The Catcher in the Rye. 《麦田里的守望者》
[13:36] And he doesn’t want to read your stories. 他也不想读你的故事。
[13:39] – I don’t have stories. – Good. —我没有故事。—好。
[13:41] Writers make the worst assistants. 作家是最差的助手。
[13:43] Get to work. 开始工作。
[13:59] The proprietor hereby grants 业主特此授予
[14:02] to the publisher… 出版商……
[14:04] …starting from the date of this agreement. ……从本协议签订之日起生效
[14:07] The proprietor… 经营者……
[14:09] I’m Hugh. You must be Joanna. 我是休。你一定是乔安娜。
[14:11] Yes, hi! Nice to meet you. 是的,你好!很高兴认识你。
[14:13] If you need anything, I’m right here. 如果你需要什么,尽管找我。
[14:15] I take care of contracts, legal, copyrights, the fun stuff. 我负责合同,法律,版权,有趣的事。
[14:21] Salinger’s letters, fan mail. 塞林格的信件,粉丝来信。
[14:24] You need to answer them using these. 你需要用这些来回答。
[14:29] There’s one for each type of inquiry: 每种类型的调查都有一个
[14:31] adaptation, autobiography, 应和、自传、
[14:34] autograph, photograph, interview… 签名,照片,面试……
[14:39] celebrity auction. 名人拍卖。
[14:43] “Mr. Salinger does not wish to receive mail from his readers. “塞林格先生不希望收到读者的邮件。
[14:45] Thus we cannot pass your kind note on to him.” 因此,我们不能把您的好意转达给他。”
[14:48] 1963? 1963年?
[14:50] That’s the year he stopped responding himself. 从那一年起,他不再亲自回复了。
[14:52] You need to type the new one based exactly on this, verbatim. 你需要在此基础上,逐字输入新的。
[14:56] No change. 没有变化。
[14:57] So, Salinger doesn’t get any of his mail? 塞林格没收到他的信吗?
[15:00] Not one, you shred them in the shredder. 一个都没有,你用碎纸机撕碎了。
[15:04] You should always read them. 你应该经常阅读它们。
[15:05] Yes, indeed. 是的,确实。
[15:07] – Just in case. – Just in case. —以防万一。—以防万一。
[15:09] In case of what? 以防什么?
[15:10] We’ve been extra careful since the Marc David Chapman thing. 马克·大卫·查普曼那件事之后我们就特别小心了。
[15:14] John Lennon’s assassin. 约翰列侬的刺客。
[15:16] When the police arrived at the Dakota, 当警察到达达科塔时,
[15:19] they found Chapman calmly sitting on the sidewalk 他们发现查普曼平静地坐在人行道上
[15:21] reading Catcher in the Rye. 《麦田里的守望者》
[15:22] At his trial, 在他的审判中,
[15:24] Chapman said that the big part of him was Holden Caulfield. 查普曼说他很像霍尔顿·考尔菲德。
[15:27] And the small part of him was… 而他的小小一面……
[15:32] the devil. 魔鬼。
[15:39] Did Chapman write to Salinger? 查普曼给塞林格写信了吗?
[15:42] We’ll never know, since we throw away the mail. 我们永远不会知道,因为我们会扔掉邮件。
[15:46] Read everything thoroughly. 阅读一切彻底。
[15:49] Use your judgment. 使用你的判断。
[16:18] I think about Holden a lot. 我经常想起霍顿。
[16:21] When I first think about him, 当我第一次想起他的时候,
[16:23] I get a stupid grin on my face, you know… 我会傻笑,你知道……
[16:26] thinking about what a funny guy he is and all. 想着他是一个多么有趣的人。
[16:30] But then I usually get depressed as hell… 但我通常会非常沮丧……
[16:33] ’cause I only think about Holden 因为我只想到霍顿
[16:35] when I’m feeling very emotional, and… 当我情绪激动的时候……
[16:38] I can get quite emotional. 我很容易激动。
[16:43] “I can get quite emotional.” “我会变得很情绪化。”
[16:47] This boy is so earnest. 这个男孩很认真。
[16:50] A major loser is what he is. 他就是个大输家。
[16:53] Hey! He is not! 嘿!他不是!
[16:54] He is. 他是。
[16:55] He’s very sweet. 他很甜。
[16:57] He’s a little funny, 他有点搞笑,
[16:59] but he’s sweet and he cares so much. 但他很贴心,也很在乎。
[17:01] I can’t send him a letter that says: 我不能给他寄一封信,上面写着
[17:03] “Dear kid, Mr. Salinger has no interest in you, 亲爱的孩子,塞林格先生对你没兴趣,
[17:05] so please fuck off!” 所以请滚开!”
[17:08] Look, this one is from the Netherlands: 看,这个来自荷兰
[17:10] “Me and my wife traced Holden’s steps around New York. 我和我的妻子在纽约追踪霍顿的足迹。
[17:13] “Did you know that the ducks in Central Park “你知道中央公园的鸭子
[17:15] stay through winter?” 待过冬天吗?”
[17:16] Oh my God, they’re literally a bunch of obsessive freaks! 天啊,他们真是一群强迫症怪胎!
[17:25] I haven’t read Catcher in the Rye. 我还没读过《麦田里的守望者》
[17:28] You’re kidding. 你在开玩笑吧。
[17:31] I haven’t read any Salinger. 我没读过塞林格的书。
[17:35] Wow! 哇!
[17:36] Everybody’s read Catcher at the very least. 每个人都或多或少读过吧。
[17:39] Yeah, well, at the risk of disappointing you, 好吧,可能要让你失望的是,
[17:41] there are actually a few writers that I have yet to read. 其实有一些作家我还没读过。
[17:45] Well, I’m shocked. 嗯,我震惊了。
[17:48] Hey, look, this girl is ready to go to bed with him. 听着,这个女孩已经准备好和他上床了。
[17:51] He’s 70-something. 他70年。
[17:52] Don’t be naive! 不要太天真!
[17:53] Good literature is a powerful aphrodisiac. 好的文学作品是一种强大的催情剂。
[17:59] I never had that teenage Salinger moment. 我从没有过青少年时期的塞林格时刻
[18:02] We never read Catcher in the Rye at school, 我们在学校时没有读过《麦田里的守望者》
[18:04] and later, I was interested in difficult, gritty fiction. 后来我热衷于艰涩难懂的小说。
[18:09] Hey, honey! 嘿,亲爱的!
[18:10] Uh, Jenny’s not here right now. 珍妮现在不在。
[18:13] Oh! I’ll be in the kitchen. 哦!我在厨房。
[18:15] I imagined Salinger’s books 我想象着塞林格的书
[18:18] to be insufferably cute, quirky and precious. 是那种无法忍受的可爱,古怪和珍贵
[18:23] I didn’t want to be entertained. 我没有想从中获得消遣,
[18:25] I wanted to be provoked. 我想被激发。
[18:47] Every morning! 每天早上!
[18:49] My shoulder hurts from carrying all those manuscripts. 我背了那么多手稿,肩膀都疼了。
[18:52] – Hey, Joanna! – Hi! —嘿,乔安娜!—你好!
[18:56] Oh! I found a writer for Max out of the slush pile. 哦!我从烂泥堆里给马克斯找了个作家。
[18:58] The stories are so good. 这些故事太好了。
[19:00] I read them last night, and I was sobbing by the end. 我昨晚看的,看完我都哭了。
[19:08] What’s the slush pile? 什么是烂泥堆?
[19:09] The slush pile? 泥堆吗?
[19:11] OK, it’s like the most amazing 好吧,这是最神奇的
[19:13] and most horrible part of our job. 也是我们工作中最可怕的部分。
[19:15] The stacks of manuscripts nobody wants to read. 没人想读的一堆堆手稿。
[19:17] Basically, it’s all the unsolicited query letters, 基本上,就是那些不请自来的询问信,
[19:20] people with no referral who write to agents cold. 没有推荐的人会写信给冰冷的探员。
[19:22] The slush pile is, like, 99% crazy shit, 那堆烂泥简直是百分之九十九的疯狂,
[19:25] though some of it is seriously hilarious. 虽然有些情节非常搞笑。
[19:27] But very, very occasionally, you find something amazing. 但偶尔,你会发现一些惊人的东西。
[19:33] Your boss doesn’t let you read? 你的老板不让你读书?
[19:36] I can read manuscripts, 我可以读手稿,
[19:38] should that be something that interests you, 这是你感兴趣的事吗,
[19:40] at home on my free time, of course! 当然,在我的空闲时间在家!
[19:42] Manuscripts? 手稿吗?
[19:46] No. 不。
[19:50] Tabs, wrong. 标签,错了。
[19:52] Margins, wrong. 边距,是错误的。
[19:54] Profi names, wrong. 文档名称,是错误的。
[19:55] Really, everything wrong. 真的,一切都错了。
[19:57] You can start re-typing today. 你今天就可以开始重新打字了。
[20:00] And here, as a bonus, is today’s dictation. 这里,作为奖励,是今天的听写。
[20:05] That… 那
[20:06] Forget about manuscripts. 忘记手稿。
[20:08] You need to get that right. 你需要做对。
[20:14] Is it on? 是开着的吗?
[20:15] Uh, no. 哦,不。
[20:18] As you know, I believe that computers make work 如你所知,我相信电脑可以工作
[20:22] rather than alleviate it, 而不是依赖它,
[20:24] but I agreed to install one in the office, 但我同意在办公室装一个,
[20:26] on a trial basis, because… 以试验为基础,因为……
[20:28] It came in an elegant black. 它是一款优雅的黑色。
[20:30] Because Hugh discovered that people… 因为休发现人们……
[20:34] I don’t know who these people are 我不知道这些人是谁
[20:35] or why they don’t have more important things 或者为什么他们没有更重要的东西
[20:37] to do with their lives… 与他们的生活有关……
[20:39] but people have been publishing whole Salinger stories 但人们一直在出版整个塞林格的故事
[20:42] on their personal e-webs. 在他们个人的网上。
[20:45] Web logs. 网络日志
[20:47] Web logs… Ridiculous! 网络日志荒谬!
[20:49] This is blatant copyright infringement, 这是公然侵犯版权,
[20:52] and we’re going to have to scour the World Wide Web 我们还得搜遍万维网
[20:55] to put an end to it. 结束这一切。
[20:56] And that is all the computer is to be used for. 这就是计算机的全部用途。
[21:00] Sorry to interrupt. Just passing through. 抱歉打扰了。只是经过。
[21:03] Don’t mean to cause a fuss. 我不想小题大做。
[21:09] We can turn it off now. 我们现在可以把它关掉了。
[21:11] – Uh, it’s already off. – OK, good. —已经关机了。—很好。
[21:13] And maybe the little coat that goes over it. 还有上面的小外套。
[21:15] I’ve seen it in pictures. Thank you, Max. 我在照片上看到过。谢谢你,马克斯。
[21:17] I’m afraid we don’t have a… 恐怕我们没有……
[21:21] There were hundreds of us, thousands maybe, all girls, 我们有好几百人,也许几千人,都是女孩,
[21:26] working at literary agencies or publishing houses. 在文学代理机构或出版社工作。
[21:30] We answered calls for our bosses, 我们为老板接电话,
[21:32] ushered in the writers, fetched them water… 迎来了编剧们,给他们接了水
[21:35] never belying the fact that we wanted to be writers ourselves. 从不掩饰我们自己想成为作家的事实
[21:39] We whispered about the lucky ones, 我们窃窃私语着一些幸运儿,
[21:41] the ones who were mentored by their bosses, 那些被老板信任的人,
[21:44] who were allowed to take on books or clients, 谁被允许接受书籍或客户,
[21:47] the ones who broke the rules to show initiative… 可以不墨守成规的人……
[21:53] …the ones who wanted it badly enough. 那些可以很可恶的家伙
[21:56] Please find two copies 请找两份副本,
[21:58] of the contract with St. Martin publishing. 与圣马丁出版公司的合同。
[22:02] Let’s face it. I was a secretary. 让我们面对现实。我就是个小秘书。
[22:31] Hello? 喂?
[22:33] Hello? Hello? 你好?喂?
[22:34] Hello? 喂?
[22:36] Speaking to? It’s Jerry. 这是杰里。
[22:40] Hello, Mr. Salinger! 你好,塞林格先生!
[22:42] Who is this? 你是谁?
[22:44] This is Joanna. 这是乔安娜。
[22:46] Who? 谁?
[22:47] I… I’m Joanna. 我……我是乔安娜。
[22:48] I’m… I’m Margaret’s new assistant. 我……我是玛格丽特的新助理。
[22:50] Oh, Margaret’s new assistant! 哦,玛格丽特的新助理
[22:52] Nice to meet you, Suzanna. 很高兴认识你,苏珊娜。
[22:54] How do you like your job? 你喜欢你的工作吗?
[22:55] I love it! 我爱它!
[22:56] Good to hear. I’m calling to speak to your boss. 很高兴听到。我打电话来找你们的老板
[23:00] Unfortunately, she’s not in right now. 很不幸,她现在不在。
[23:02] Um, can I leave her a message? 需要给她留言吗?
[23:03] Oh, no, I’ll call back. 哦不用,我会再打来的。
[23:06] Well, I’m sure you have a lot of work. 好吧,我相信你有很多的工作。
[23:08] It was very nice talking to you, Suzanna. 你人真好,苏珊娜。
[23:10] I’m looking forward to meeting you in person. 我期待与你见面。
[23:12] You too. 我也是。
[23:15] Have a great day! 祝你有美好的一天!
[23:16] Goodbye! 再见!
[23:23] I never say: “Have a great day.” 我从来不会说:“祝你有美好的一天。”
[23:25] Jerry? 杰里?
[23:27] He’s deaf. An explosion during the war. 他是聋子。战争期间的爆炸。
[23:29] She just left? 她刚刚离开吗?
[23:30] Yes. 是的。
[23:32] Better go tell her. 最好去告诉她。
[23:40] Quicker. 快一点。
[23:46] Margaret! 玛格丽特!
[23:48] Sorry! I’m sorry to disturb you. 对不起!对不起,打扰你了。
[23:50] You just got a call from… 你刚接到一个电话……
[23:52] Your client just called. 你的客户刚打电话来。
[23:55] I wonder which one! 我想知道是哪一个!
[23:56] I have to take this. 我得接个电话。
[23:58] Go ahead, Books. I’ll wait for you at the restaurant. 去吧,老板。我在餐馆等你。
[24:01] You did the right thing. 你做得对。
[24:04] Salinger wants to publish a book. 塞林格想要出版一本书。
[24:09] The press is gonna go nuts. 媒体会疯掉的
[24:12] No press. No one must know. 没有新闻。不能让人知道。
[24:13] That’s our job. 这是我们的工作。
[24:14] So it’s true. He’s been writing. 所以这是真的。他还在写作。
[24:17] Well, no, it’s an old story, Hapworth. 嗯,不,这是一个古老的故事,哈普沃斯
[24:19] A publisher, Clifford Bradbury, 出版商克利福德·布拉德伯里
[24:22] approached him to publish it as a stand-alone book. 找到他,想把它单独出版。
[24:25] He has been thinking about it for 8 years. 这件事他已经想了8年了。
[24:29] The publisher wrote to him back in ’88. 88年出版商给他写过信。
[24:31] Jerry liked the fact that he wrote on a typewriter. 杰瑞喜欢用打字机写字。
[24:34] How did he get Jerry’s address? 他怎么知道杰瑞的地址的?
[24:37] He addressed it to J.D. Salinger, 他把它寄给了J.D.塞林格
[24:39] Cornish, New Hampshire. 新罕布什尔州康沃尔。
[24:40] Postman delivered it! 邮递员发送它!
[24:42] That’s brilliant. 这是辉煌的。
[24:43] Wait, wait, wait, Margaret. 等等,等等,玛格丽特。
[24:45] What kind of publisher is this? 这是什么样的出版商?
[24:48] It can’t be Little, Brown or any major house. 不可能是小的,布朗的或者任何大机构。
[24:50] They would have just called you. 他们会直接打电话给你的。
[24:51] Oh boy! You’re gonna love this, Max. 哦,男孩!你会喜欢的,麦克斯。
[24:53] It is a tiny press in Virginia. 这是弗吉尼亚州的一家小出版社。
[24:56] Kind of a one-man operation: Merrygold Press. 一个人的生意,梅里戈尔德出版社。
[24:59] Merrybells Press? Merrybells新闻?
[25:01] Yes, that’s it. You know them? 是的,就是这样。你知道他们吗?
[25:05] They publish poetry, and I like few of their poets. 他们出版诗歌,我不喜欢他们的诗人。
[25:10] Are you fucking kidding me? 你他妈在开玩笑吧?
[25:11] A one-man press is going to publish 一个个人出版社要出版了
[25:13] the first book from Salinger 塞林格的第一本书
[25:15] in 3 decades? 在30年后?
[25:16] That’s fucked. 这太不可思议了。
[25:18] Publishing Salinger is different 出版塞林格的作品是完全不一样的
[25:20] than publishing poetry. 相较与出版那些诗集。
[25:21] Thank you. 谢谢你!
[25:22] Obviously, we have to proceed carefully. 显然,我们必须小心行事。
[25:25] Find out everything we can about this Clifford Bradbury. 尽我们所能找出关于克利福德·布拉德伯里的一切。
[25:29] I’ll call him. 我会打电话给他。
[25:30] I won’t mention Salinger, 我就不提塞林格了
[25:31] and I’ll ask for his catalogue and a sample for our records. 我要他的产品目录和样品存档。
[25:35] Good thinking. 好想法。
[25:37] Hugh, get me the contract with The New Yorker, please. 休,请帮我拿《纽约客》的合同。
[25:43] What’s Hapworth? 哈普华兹是什么?
[25:47] It was published in The New Yorker in ’65. 它于1965年发表在《纽约客》上。
[25:50] Took up almost the whole magazine. 几乎占据了整个杂志。
[25:52] – Let me see. – Pretty common in those days. —让我看看。—那时候很常见。
[25:55] Esquire did it, Cosmo. 《时尚先生》上的,还有《 时尚杂志》。
[25:58] That’s where I got my start. Buying stories for a magazine. 这就是我的起点。为杂志买故事。
[26:03] For Cosmo? 时尚杂志 ?
[26:05] For Playboy. 花花公子。
[26:08] How did you end up working for Playboy? 你是怎么在《花花公子》工作的
[26:10] Enough chit-chat, Joanna. Back to work. 闲谈够了,乔安娜。重返工作岗位。
[26:14] Hi! Is this Clifford Bradbury? 你好!你是克利福德·布拉德伯里吗?
[26:17] Hi! This is Joanna Rakoff. 你好!我是乔安娜·拉科夫。
[26:19] I work for A & F Literary Management. 我在A & F文学管理公司工作。
[26:21] The job of an agent 代理的工作
[26:23] is to open up opportunities for their clients. 是给他们客户的好机会。
[26:26] But when it came to Salinger, the logic was reversed. 但是当谈到塞林格的时候,逻辑正好相反
[26:30] We had to shield him from the outside world, 我们必须将他与外界做好有效隔离,
[26:34] bolstering his reputation as a complicated recluse. 巩固了他作为一个复杂的隐士的声誉
[26:37] Yeah, thank you. 是的,谢谢你。
[26:38] But publishing Hapworth 但出版哈普华兹
[26:39] was going to get a lot of attention. 将会吸引多少的关注啊。
[26:42] Nobody understood his change of heart. 没有人明白他改变心意了
[26:45] Night, Jerry. 晚上,杰瑞。
[26:46] Maybe, I thought, I understood. 也许,我想我理解了。
[26:49] Maybe he realized that what he wanted 也许他意识到他想要的是什么
[26:52] wasn’t what he wanted at all. 或许也不是他需要的。
[26:56] I was like: “Are you serious?” 我说:“你是认真的吗?”
[26:58] She was like: 她就像:
[26:59] “Yeah, he’s totally visiting me in my dreams. “是的,他绝对是来我梦里看我的。”
[27:01] I think he has a message for me.” 我想他有话要告诉我。”
[27:02] And I looked to either side of me to see if anyone heard. 我朝两边看了看,看有没有人听见。
[27:44] What are you writing? 你在写什么?
[27:46] Writing a very bad poem. 写一首很糟糕的诗。
[27:54] Listen, Bret and I were talking, and… 听着,Bret和我聊过,然后……
[28:00] Look… 看起来……
[28:03] When you first got back to New York, 你第一次回到纽约的时候,
[28:05] and I said that you could stay here, 我说你可以住在这里,
[28:08] to be honest, I thought you’d go back to Berkeley with Karl. 说实话,我以为你会和卡尔一起回伯克利。
[28:12] You’re kicking me out? 你要把我赶出去?
[28:15] No, like… 不,喜欢……
[28:17] I’m happy to have you here, and you can stay if you want, 你能来我很高兴,如果你愿意,你可以留下,
[28:22] but what did you plan on doing? 但你打算怎么做?
[28:24] What are your options? 你有什么选择?
[28:27] Oh! Ah! 哦!啊!
[28:30] We disinfected the apartment. 我们给公寓消毒了
[28:35] ‘Cause the man before had 7 cats. 因为之前那个人有7只猫。
[28:38] But young married couple like you 但是像你们这样的年轻夫妇
[28:42] take better care of it, yeah? 好好照顾它,好吗?
[28:44] We’re not married. 我们不结婚了。
[28:46] The man next door, 隔壁的那个男人,
[28:48] he takes care of little things if you need. 如果你需要,他会照顾你。
[28:51] He’s Mexican. He drinks. 他是墨西哥人。他喜欢喝酒。
[28:55] But he works hard. 但是他工作很努力。
[28:57] Uh, how much? 嗯,多少钱?
[29:00] $560. 560美元。
[29:01] We’ll think about it! 我们会考虑的!
[29:03] No, we’ll take it. 不,我们要这个。
[29:05] Oh! Good deal! 哦!好交易!
[29:07] You’re Jewish, yeah? 你是犹太人,是吗?
[29:09] – Me? – Mmm? —我吗?—嗯?
[29:10] No. 不。
[29:12] I like, very responsible. 我喜欢,很负责任。
[29:14] – Hmm. – Pay on time. —嗯。—按时支付工资。
[29:16] Uh, let’s sign the paper. 呃,我们签个字吧。
[29:19] The lease is gonna be under her name. 租约会用她的名字签。
[29:21] Hmm? 嗯?
[29:25] Could have just given ourselves a day to think about it. 给我们自己一天时间好好想想。
[29:27] No, this is New York City, young lady, the big time! 不,这是纽约,小姐,大日子!
[29:30] I barely make $300 a week. 我每周只能挣300美元。
[29:32] No, wait, we split the rent, Buba. 不,等等,我们平分房租,布巴。
[29:34] I’m gonna pay my half. 我付我那一半。
[29:35] I just… I just have to avoid the credit check. 我只是……我只是要避免信用检查。
[29:39] Look, I’ll take care of the furniture, all right? 我来处理家具,好吗?
[29:42] There’s no sink. 没有沉没。
[29:44] What? 什么?
[29:45] There’s no sink in the kitchen. 厨房里没有洗涤槽。
[29:47] I knew something was off about the apartment. 我就知道公寓有点不对劲。
[29:49] I couldn’t put my finger on it. 我都不敢碰这里。
[29:50] There’s no kitchen sink. 这里没有厨房水槽。
[29:52] We just signed a lease for an apartment with no sink! 我们刚签了一间没有水槽的公寓的租约!
[29:54] Well, we can do the dishes in the bathtub. 我们可以在浴缸里洗碗。
[29:56] It’s no big deal. 没什么大不了的。
[29:57] There’s a tub. Trust me. 有一个浴缸。相信我。
[30:00] Hey, man! You coming? 嘿,男人!你要来吗?
[30:04] Ladies and gentlemen… 女士们,先生们……
[30:19] Dear Mr. Salinger, please forgive my bad English. 亲爱的塞林格先生,请原谅我的英语不好。
[30:23] I work much at night, 我晚上工作很多,
[30:24] and I like it because I don’t have to talk to people so much. 我喜欢它,因为我不用和别人说那么多。
[30:29] My heart is troubled, just like Holden Caulfield. 我的心很不安,就像霍尔顿·考尔菲德一样。
[30:31] Holden is like my grandfather, you know, a no-bullshit man. 霍顿就像我的祖父,你知道的,一个言出必行的人。
[30:37] He taught me a lot about human nature. 他教会了我很多关于人性的东西。
[30:40] He warned me I would be disappointed by most people. 他警告我说,大多数人都会让我失望。
[30:43] We would be very honored 我们将非常荣幸
[30:44] if you would serve as our commencement reader next year. 如果你明年能做我们毕业典礼的读书人的话。
[30:47] We would, of course, provide you with accommodation 当然,我们会为您提供住宿
[30:50] in a very fine inn, 在一家很好的客栈里,
[30:51] where your privacy, which I know is important to you, 我知道你的隐私对你来说很重要,
[30:54] would be scrupulously respected. 会受到严格的尊重。
[30:57] The fishing helps me. 钓鱼帮助我。
[30:59] A nice refuge from my nightmares. 一个躲避噩梦的好地方。
[31:02] It’s been 27 years since Vietnam. 越南战争已经过去27年了。
[31:06] They just keep getting worse. 情况越来越糟。
[31:09] You know, seeing your dead friends 看到你死去的朋友
[31:11] having their guts ripped out… 他们的内脏被掏出来……
[31:14] Well, I’m sure you must have similar type dreams, 我相信你肯定也做过类似的梦,
[31:16] being a veteran who… 作为一个老兵……
[31:17] “…does not wish to receive mail from his readers. ”……不希望收到读者的邮件。
[31:20] “Thus, we cannot pass along your kind note to him. “因此,我们不能把你友好的字条传递给他
[31:23] We thank you for your interest in Mr. Salinger’s book.” 我们非常感谢你对塞林格先生的书的兴趣”
[31:26] My daughter died from leukemia. 我女儿死于白血病。
[31:28] She was a talented young writer. 她是一位有才华的年轻作家。
[31:30] I’m founding a small literary magazine in her memory, 为了纪念她,我创办了一家小型文学杂志,
[31:34] and I’d like permission to call it Bananafish, 请允许我称它为香蕉鱼,
[31:36] as Salinger was her fav… 因为塞林格是她的最爱……
[31:55] Titles can’t be copyrighted. 标题不受版权保护。
[31:57] I could write a novel 我可以写一本小说
[31:58] and call it The Great Gatsby if I wanted to. 如果我愿意,就把它叫做《了不起的盖茨比》吧。
[32:01] So, yes, she can call her magazine Bananafish. 所以,是的,她可以叫她的杂志香蕉鱼
[32:04] Great! 太棒了!
[32:06] But the agency can’t advise her. 但是中介不能给她建议。
[32:10] As always… 一如既往……
[32:11] Really? 真的吗?
[32:12] Yep! I’m just telling you this for your own edification. 是的!我告诉你这些只是为了启发你。
[32:16] Send the form letter and finish shredding. 发送模板信并完成撕碎。
[32:18] That’s absurd! 这是荒谬的!
[32:19] Well, of course, you’re right. 当然,你是对的。
[32:20] She’s gonna start yelling at me 她会冲我大喊大叫的
[32:22] the minute she’s off the phone. 她一挂断电话。
[32:24] A pleasure to talk to you, Jerry, as always. Goodbye! 很高兴和你聊天,杰瑞,一如既往。再见!
[32:29] Crap sandwich! 废话三明治!
[32:30] – Hugh! – Yes? —休!—是吗?
[32:32] Do you have the Salinger contract ready? 塞林格的合同准备好了吗?
[32:34] Yes, almost there. 是的,差不多了。
[32:36] Ask Pam to call a messenger 让帕姆打电话给信使
[32:37] so we can get it over to The New Yorker before 6:00. 所以我们可以在6点前把它送到《纽约客》。
[32:40] The New Yorker? 《纽约客》?
[32:42] Yes. 是的。
[32:44] Probably best if I just bring it myself then, no? 那我自己来最好了,不是吗?
[32:50] I grew up reading The New Yorker, 我是看《纽约客》长大的,
[32:52] following my father’s ritual. 也是跟随我父亲 。
[32:54] He would start with the movie reviews, 他会从电影评论开始,
[32:56] and then turn to “The Talk of the Town,” 然后是街谈巷议的话题,
[32:59] and then the features. 然后是花边新闻。
[33:00] In college, everyone was into The New Yorker. 在大学里,每个人都喜欢《纽约客》。
[33:08] Hi! 你好!
[33:10] My boss wanted me to make sure this was delivered right away. 我老板要我确保这封信马上送到。
[33:13] Thank you! 谢谢你!
[33:19] Can I help you with something else? 我还能为您做些什么吗?
[33:21] No. No! 不。不!
[33:23] No, no, that was it, thanks. 不,不,就这些,谢谢。
[33:41] I was at the Algonquin serving him a martini. 我在阿尔冈昆酒店给他端马提尼。
[33:44] Anyway, I used my Cosmo ID to get in the room. 不管怎样,我用我的《时尚杂志》 ID进入房间。
[33:48] I recognized the agent. He did not recognize me. 我认出了那个代理。他没有认出我来。
[33:52] And we spent the evening talking about William’s tragic death 我们整晚都在谈论威廉的惨死
[33:56] and the agency. 和代理。
[33:57] And? 然后呢?
[33:58] And I lost my job at Cosmo 我失去了我在《时尚杂志》的工作
[34:00] for not showing up the next morning. 因为第二天早上没来。
[34:03] But I kept the man’s card, 但我保留了他的名片
[34:05] and a year later, I gave him a call at the agency… 一年后,我给他打了个电话……
[34:09] Hi… 嗨……
[34:11] …and he hired me. ……他雇了我。
[34:13] And the rest is history. Joanna, what is it? 剩下的就是历史了。乔安娜,怎么了?
[34:15] – Is something wrong? – No. —出什么事了吗?—没有。
[34:17] She was walking by, looking cold and hungry and forlorn. 她从旁边走过,看上去又冷又饿,又孤苦伶仃。
[34:21] I invited her in. Joanna, please sit. 我邀请她进来。乔安娜,请坐。
[34:23] I don’t want to interrupt. 我不想打断你们。
[34:25] Don’t be silly. This is my wife, Helen. 别傻了。这是我妻子海伦。
[34:27] Nice to meet you. 很高兴认识你。
[34:28] We were just reminiscing, 我们只是在回忆,
[34:30] telling tales about the lost generation: 讲述迷惘一代的故事:
[34:32] Hemingway, Fitzgerald. 海明威,菲茨杰拉德。
[34:33] Do you know the agency represented Fitzgerald? 你知道菲茨杰拉德的代理公司吗?
[34:35] Yes, and Dylan Thomas, 是的,还有迪伦·托马斯,
[34:37] Langston Hughes, Agatha Christie. 兰斯顿·休斯,阿加莎·克里斯蒂。
[34:39] And you’ve read all their work, of course? 你当然读过他们所有的作品了?
[34:41] I have, however, my boss suggests 然而,我的老板建议说,我有
[34:43] that I read writers that are alive. 我读的都是活着的作家。
[34:45] Speaking of living writers, 说到活着的作家,
[34:48] are you familiar with Rachel Cusk? 你认识瑞秋·卡斯克吗?
[34:50] Don’t take the bait, Joanna. 别上当,乔安娜。
[34:52] No, I am. Yes, I am, I am! 不,我是。是的,我是,我是!
[34:53] Uh, her first novel, Saving Agnes, was huge. 嗯,她的第一部小说《拯救艾格尼丝》非常成功。
[34:56] It won the Whitbread, I think. 我想它赢得了惠特布莱德奖。
[34:58] And everyone that I knew in London was reading it. 我在伦敦认识的每个人都在读这本书。
[35:01] It was our lives, basically. Or it was… it was my… my life. 基本上,这就是我们的生活。或者是……这是我的……我的生活。
[35:04] What is it about? 是关于什么的?
[35:06] Um… 嗯……
[35:08] Well, it’s a coming-of-age tale, definitely. 这绝对是一个关于成长的故事。
[35:10] I guess it’s about the ways in which 我想是关于
[35:12] women need to get over this self-loathing of their bodies. 女人需要克服对自己身体的自我厌恶。
[35:15] I’d say it’s more about how the patriarchy 我觉得更多的是关于父权制
[35:18] imposes rigid and terrifying ideas of femininity 强加了刻板而可怕的女性化观念
[35:20] onto young women, 年轻女性,
[35:22] how that paralyzes them and strips them of their dignity. 那是如何使他们瘫痪,剥夺他们的尊严。
[35:26] I don’t know. It doesn’t feel quite that didactic to me. 我不知道。我不觉得这是在说教。
[35:28] It’s a very introspective novel. 这是一本非常内省的小说。
[35:30] It doesn’t really read like social commentary. 读起来不像是社会评论。
[35:32] OK. Joanna, meet Rachel Cusk. 好的。乔安娜,这是瑞秋·卡斯克。
[35:37] Hello. 你好。
[35:38] No, no. I’m so sorry. 不,不。我很抱歉。
[35:41] It’s OK. It’s lovely to meet you. 没关系。很高兴认识你。
[35:43] You’re a novelist yourself? 你自己就是小说家?
[35:45] Joanna is my assistant. I don’t hire writers. 乔安娜是我的助手。我不雇作家。
[35:48] – I’m very particular about it. – Really? —我很挑剔的。—真的吗?
[35:50] I thought all publishing assistants 我想所有的出版助理
[35:52] were writing novels at their desks. 在他们的书桌上写小说。
[35:54] If you can write a novel at your desk 如果你能在你的书桌上写一本小说
[35:56] while getting coffee for a tyrant like Margaret, good luck. 给玛格丽特这样的暴君倒咖啡,祝你好运。
[35:59] You really have to love it. 你一定要热爱它。
[36:01] You have to want it more than anything in the entire world, 在这世上,你最想要的就是它,
[36:04] more than a boyfriend 不只是男朋友
[36:05] or a closet full of pretty dresses 或者一个装满漂亮衣服的衣橱
[36:08] or a fancy job that makes everyone jealous. 或者是一份让所有人羡慕的好工作。
[36:11] You need to be OK with saying no 你需要接受被拒绝
[36:14] when you’re invited to a party. 当你被邀请参加聚会的时候。
[36:16] And you really need to be OK 而且你真的需要没事
[36:17] with your mother and father hating you! 你父母都恨你!
[36:20] Joanna, don’t you have dictation to finish? 乔安娜,你不是要听写吗?
[36:22] Yes, I do. 是的,我喜欢。
[36:24] Margaret… 玛格丽特……
[36:25] Those St. Martin’s contract memos 那些圣马丁的合同备忘录
[36:27] need to go out immediately. 我得马上出去。
[36:29] Absolutely. It was nice to meet you. Thank you. 绝对的。很高兴认识你。谢谢你!
[36:31] – Bye! – Goodbye, Joanna! —再见!—再见,乔安娜!
[36:32] Lovely to meet you. 很高兴认识你。
[36:39] Ah! 啊!
[37:13] Hi! 你好!
[37:15] You got a letter, 你有一封信,
[37:18] from your high school sweetheart, Karl. 你高中时的恋人,卡尔。
[37:23] Does he know about us? 他知道我们的事吗?
[37:28] Yeah, I’m sure I mentioned it. 是的,我肯定提过。
[37:29] Joanna, did you break up with him? 乔安娜,你和他分手了吗?
[37:31] Like a proper break up: 就像正式的分手:
[37:33] “Dear Karl, it’s not you, it’s me. “亲爱的卡尔,不是你的问题,是我的问题。
[37:34] I’m sorry. It’s over.” 我很抱歉。一切都结束了。”
[37:36] You know, the normal stuff? 你知道的,正常的东西?
[37:37] We haven’t talked in 3 months. 我们三个月没说过话了。
[37:39] And he knows that I’m not going back to California. 他也知道我不会回加州了。
[37:43] Um… 嗯……
[37:45] Did you talk to the landlady about the heating? 你跟女房东谈过暖气的事了吗?
[37:49] “Why do you need a heater? “你为什么需要加热器?”
[37:51] Your love should keep you warm.” 你的爱应该让你温暖。”
[38:23] I was hoping you might find the time to write back, 我曾经希望你能有时间给我回信,
[38:26] but I bet you must be getting a lot of letters. 但我敢打赌你一定收到了很多信。
[38:29] But I feel like writing again, if you don’t mind me doing so, 但我想再写一次,如果你不介意的话,
[38:32] ’cause, um, well, I feel depressed as hell. 因为,嗯,我觉得非常沮丧。
[38:36] And I figured it was the honest thing do. 我觉得这是诚实的做法。
[38:40] Your characters are the only ones in literature 你的角色是文学作品中唯一的角色
[38:43] who are truly like me. 和我一样的人
[38:44] I mean, they take action. 我的意思是,他们会采取行动。
[38:46] They don’t sit around contemplating suicide. 他们不会坐在那里考虑自杀。
[38:48] They pick up a gun and they shoot themselves in the head. 他们拿起枪,朝自己的头开枪。
[38:50] He’s challenging Jerry. 他是具有挑战性的杰里。
[38:53] It’s a game, and you’re falling for it. 这只是个游戏,你会上当的。
[38:55] I feel this boy just deserves a proper response, 我觉得这孩子应该得到应有的回应,
[38:58] not our usual bullshit. 不是我们平常说的那种屁话。
[38:59] Bullshit? 屁话吗?
[39:01] You are confusing judgment with empathy. 你把判断力和同理心混为一谈了。
[39:06] I have read hundreds of letters just like this one. 我读过几百封这样的信。
[39:09] It can get overwhelming, but just do your job. 它会让你不知所措,但还是要做好你的工作。
[39:26] Did you send my letter to Mr. Salinger? 你把我的信发给塞林格先生了吗?
[39:28] Did you send my letter to Salinger? 你把我的信寄给塞林格了吗?
[39:30] You have no right to keep my letter! 你没有权利保留我的信!
[39:33] You can’t read other people’s mail! 你不能看别人的邮件!
[39:35] I was at least expecting a confirmation. 我还指望你能确认呢。
[39:51] Dear Mr. Salinger, I hate school, 亲爱的塞林格先生,我讨厌学校,
[39:55] especially English class. 特别是英语课。
[39:57] Catcher in the Rye is the only book I liked. 《麦田里的守望者》是我唯一喜欢的书
[40:00] My teacher is going to make me flunk. 我的老师要给我不及格
[40:03] She says I’ll have to repeat my year, 她说要让我留级,
[40:05] and that’s gonna be so embarrassing. 于是变得很尴尬了。
[40:07] So I asked her: “What can I do?” 我问她:”我可以做什么呢?“
[40:10] “Write a letter to J.D. Salinger,” she told me, “给J.D.塞林格写封信,”她告诉我,
[40:13] “and make it so good that he’ll write back. “他的回信会很棒吧。
[40:15] If he writes back, I’ll give you an A.” 如果他回信了,我给你考试A。”
[40:19] Please write back so I can get an A. 请回信,好让我得A。
[40:25] “An A earned by trickery “一个通过欺骗获得的A
[40:27] “means absolutely nothing. ”意味着完全没有。
[40:29] “You’ll soon find out that young women “你会发现这个小女生
[40:31] “are often held to double standards “经常被认为有双重标准
[40:33] when it comes to success.” 来定义获得的成功。“
[40:36] “You need to prove to yourself and to your peers 你需要向你自己和你的同伴证明
[40:40] “that you do not need special treatment. “你不需要特殊处理,
[40:43] “If you desire an A or a passing grade, ”你如果想要得A或顺利过关,
[40:46] “you must do the work assigned to you. “必须完成你所应该做的事。
[40:49] “And if you want to uphold the spirit of Holden, “如果你想坚持霍尔顿的精神,
[40:53] “try not to care too much about how people judge you. ”试着不要太在意别人是如何评价你的。
[40:55] “This might mean being more humble, “这可能意味着更谦虚,
[40:58] “but it’s the only way. ”但是这是唯一的方法。
[41:00] Sincerely, Joanna Rakoff.” 真诚,乔安娜Rakoff。”
[41:09] You’ve become quite the expert in what Salinger would say. 你已经成为塞林格的专家了。
[41:13] “If you want to uphold the spirit of Holden…” “如果你想弘扬霍尔顿的精神……”
[41:17] Have you read Catcher yet? 你读过《麦田里的守望者》吗?
[41:21] You haven’t! 你没有!
[41:25] Unbelievable! 难以置信!
[41:33] Bret got accepted at Case Western. Bret被凯斯西储录取了。
[41:35] Thought he was going to Brooklyn Law. 我以为他要去布鲁克林法学院。
[41:37] He’s from the Midwest. He misses it, you know? 他来自中西部。他很怀念,你知道吗?
[41:41] So you’ll stay here until he’s done? 所以你会一直待在这里直到他结束吗?
[41:44] Of course not. I’m going with him. 当然不是。我要和他一起去。
[41:47] We’re engaged, remember? 我们订婚了,还记得吗?
[41:50] Hey, you’re moving? 嘿,你走吗?
[41:54] I… I thought you loved your work? 我……我以为你喜欢你的工作?
[41:57] I do! But Cleveland is a cool city. 我做!但是克利夫兰是一个很酷的城市。
[42:01] We’re already looking for a place in Shaker Heights. 我们已经在夏克高地找房子了。
[42:04] Wow! The suburbs! 哇!郊区!
[42:10] Have you been writing lately? 你最近一直在写信吗?
[42:14] I don’t really write anymore. 我已经不再写作了。
[42:17] I know we used to say that we wanted to become writers, 我知道我们曾经说过我们想成为作家,
[42:21] but that was more your thing. 但那更适合你。
[42:23] I kind of grew out of it. 我已经长大了。
[42:28] You make it sound like a teenage phase. 你说得好像是青少年时期。
[42:32] Isn’t that what it was? 不就是这样吗?
[42:33] I don’t understand. 我不明白你的意思。
[42:35] You’ll drop everything for Bret’s project? 你会为了Bret的项目放弃一切吗?
[42:36] Whoa, Joanna, stop! 哇,乔安娜,停!
[42:39] I don’t want to be a writer. 我不想当作家。
[42:40] You keep saying you wanna write, 你一直说你想写作
[42:42] but you work long hours for other writers 但你为其他作家工作时间很长
[42:45] while Don is at home writing his novel. 而唐却在家里写小说。
[42:47] Oh, we both write. 哦,我们都写。
[42:48] And we’re supportive of each other’s work. 我们互相支持对方的工作。
[42:51] Well, then I’m happy for you guys! 那我真为你们高兴!
[42:53] Please be happy for me. 请为我感到高兴。
[42:59] I’m sorry. 我很抱歉。
[43:02] Um… 嗯……
[43:05] Why don’t we go to the Waldorf and eat dessert? 不如我们去华尔道夫饭店吃甜点吧?
[43:09] Ha! I’ll have the $12 cheesecake. 哈!我要12美元的芝士蛋糕。
[43:12] Maybe we’ll catch my boss on her martini lunch or something. 也许我们可以在我老板的马提尼午餐上见她。
[43:15] Gotta get back to work. 我得回去工作了。
[43:29] – Everything to your liking? – Yes. Thank you. —都是你喜欢的吗?—是的。谢谢你!
[44:20] May I get you a cab? 要我帮你叫辆出租车吗?
[44:22] Oh, it’s such a nice day. I think I’ll walk. 哦,今天天气真好。我想我会走着去。
[44:24] It is a beautiful day. You enjoy it. 这是一个美好的一天。你喜欢它。
[44:28] Thanks! 谢谢!
[44:39] Hello? 你好?
[44:40] Hello, Suzanna! How are you today? 你好,苏珊娜!你今天好吗?
[44:43] I’m… I’m great. How are you? How’s the weather in Cornish? ……我很好。你好吗?康沃尔的天气怎么样?
[44:46] It’s very pleasant. Uh, tell me something, Suzanna. 这是非常愉快的。告诉我,苏珊娜。
[44:50] I was looking at those books 我正在看那些书
[44:52] from this fellow Clifford in Virginia, Merrybells Press. 来自弗吉尼亚的克里福德, Merrybells出版社的。
[44:55] Yes… 是的……
[44:57] What do you think of them? 你有什么想法吗?
[44:58] Um… 嗯……
[44:59] Honestly, I think the design isn’t great. 老实说,我觉得这个设计不怎么样。
[45:02] I think they’d really benefit from hiring a designer. 我觉得他们雇个设计师会很有好处。
[45:05] Uh, but as far as the books themselves, 但说到书本身,
[45:07] I’ve only read a few. 我只读了几本。
[45:09] I do like some of the poets they publish, though. 不过我确实喜欢他们出版的一些诗人。
[45:12] Oh, you read poetry? 哦,你会读诗吗
[45:13] I do, yes, a lot! 我喜欢,是的,经常喜欢!
[45:15] But do you write poetry yourself? 但是你自己写诗吗
[45:17] I do! 我做!
[45:18] Well, I’m very glad to hear that. 好的,很高兴听到。
[45:20] Poetry is food for the soul. 诗歌是心灵的食粮
[45:23] Never forget that, 请不要忘了,
[45:24] uh, Suzanna. 呃,苏珊娜。
[45:26] Food for the soul. I’ve got it! 灵魂的食物。我懂了!
[45:29] Uh, Suzanna, it’s important to write everyday. 哦,苏珊娜,每天写作是很重要的。
[45:32] You know that? 你知道吗?
[45:34] I’ll keep that in mind. 我会记住的。
[45:36] Jerry wants to meet Clifford. 杰瑞想见见克里福德。
[45:39] Gosh! 天啊!
[45:41] We have to find somewhere discreet. 我们得找个隐蔽的地方。
[45:42] Well, it won’t be. 好吧,不会的。
[45:44] Jerry’s driving down to Washington on Wednesday. 杰瑞星期三要开车去华盛顿。
[45:47] They’re meeting in a cafeteria at Georgetown University. 他们要在乔治城大学的自助餐厅见面。
[45:50] That’s awful! Awful! 这是可怕的!可怕的!
[45:52] Uh, do we trust this Clifford fellow? 我们相信这个克利福德的家伙吗?
[45:56] I don’t know. 我不知道。
[45:57] So, we’re presuming he’s not gonna tip off The Post 所以,我们假设他不会泄露邮件
[46:01] that the world’s most reclusive writer, 世界上最隐居的作家,
[46:04] who barely leaves his home, 他几乎不出家门
[46:05] who hasn’t given an interview in decades, 已经几十年没接受过采访了,
[46:07] will be having lunch 正在吃午饭
[46:09] at Georgetown University on Wednesday? 周三在乔治城大学?
[46:12] Yeah. 是的。
[46:14] You have mentioned this possibility to Jerry? 你跟杰瑞提过这种可能性吗?
[46:17] I have not. Jerry thinks of Clifford as a pal. 我没有。杰瑞把克利福德当成朋友。
[46:21] If I say anything negative about him, 如果我说他的坏话,
[46:23] Jerry will not take it kindly. 杰瑞不会接受的。
[46:24] That’s it. Back to work. 就是这样。重返工作岗位。
[46:28] Oh, Joanna, tell me what you think of this. 乔安娜,告诉我你的想法。
[46:35] Judy Blume? 朱迪·布鲁姆?
[46:37] You’ve heard of her? 你听说过她吗?
[46:38] Of course I have! 我当然有!
[46:39] I read all of her books as a kid. 我小时候读过她所有的书。
[46:41] I love her. Everyone loves her. 我爱她。每个人都喜欢她。
[46:44] She was a client of my predecessor, Claire. 她是我前任克莱尔的客户。
[46:46] She’s not written a book in a long time. 她很久没写书了。
[46:48] Have you ever read Judy Blume? 你读过朱迪·布鲁姆的书吗?
[46:50] No. I don’t read children’s literature. 不。我不看儿童文学。
[46:53] But they’re so wonderful! 但是它们太棒了!
[46:55] I’m sure! Claire had impeccable taste. 我敢肯定!克莱尔的品味无可挑剔。
[46:59] You wanna go out? 你想出去吗?
[47:01] We’re broke. 我们破产了。
[47:04] So? We’ll split a beer. 所以呢?我们一起喝啤酒。
[47:09] It’s open mic night at the KGB. 今天是克格勃的扩音器之夜。
[47:13] What? 什么?
[47:14] Well, bring a poem. They’ll love you. 那就带首诗来。他们会爱你。
[47:17] You’re not funny. 你不是有趣的。
[47:20] I’m not trying to be. 我也不想这样。
[47:22] Your poems are good. 你的诗很好。
[47:26] I have a Judy Blume manuscript to read. 我要读朱迪·布鲁姆的手稿。
[47:27] Judy Blume? 朱迪·布鲁姆?
[47:30] Judy fucking Blume? 朱迪他妈的抱吗?
[47:33] I loved Then Again, Maybe I Won’t. 我喜欢过《一而再》,也许我不再。
[47:35] You like Judy Blume? 你喜欢朱迪·布鲁姆吗?
[47:37] Yeah. I mean, I was a kid once. 是的。我是说,我也曾经是个孩子。
[47:39] And like her hero, Tony, my parents were working class 和她心目中的英雄托尼一样,我的父母也是工人阶级
[47:42] and moved to a middle-class area. 搬到了一个中产阶级地区。
[47:43] It’s about social class. 这是关于社会阶级的。
[47:45] No, it’s not! 不,不是!
[47:48] It turns you on that I like pedestrian stuff, 我喜欢平淡无奇的东西让你兴奋不已,
[47:51] doesn’t it? 不是吗?
[48:09] To be given Judy Blume’s new book 会有一本朱迪·布鲁姆的新书
[48:11] was like going from sitting in the stands 仿佛坐在看台上开始
[48:14] to hitting a home run. 看到一个本垒打。
[48:16] I felt lucky to be on the inside. 我感到无比幸运。
[48:20] Well? 好吗?
[48:21] I like it. 我喜欢它。
[48:23] Really? 真的吗?
[48:24] But what do you make of it? 但你是怎么想的?
[48:27] I’m not sure what you mean. (我不能肯定你的意思。)
[48:28] Well, it’s not a kids book, is it? 这不是一本儿童读物,对吧?
[48:31] No, no, it’s about kids for grown-ups. 不,不,是关于大人的孩子。
[48:34] It’s about female friendship. 是关于女性友谊的。
[48:35] But will adults buy a book about kids? 但是大人会买一本关于孩子的书吗?
[48:39] Can I sell it? 我可以卖吗?
[48:43] Lots of books have child protagonists. 很多书都以儿童为主角。
[48:45] Um, Oliver Twist! 嗯,我>
[48:46] This is not Oliver Twist. 《雾都孤儿》
[48:49] But you would buy it? 但你会买吗?
[48:51] I would. 我会的。
[48:52] Hmm… 嗯……
[48:54] Many people would. 许多人会。
[48:57] There’s the nostalgia factor. 还有怀旧的因素。
[48:59] You know, my entire generation grew up on Judy Blume. 我这一代人都是看着朱迪·布鲁姆长大的。
[49:03] Maybe. 也许吧。
[49:04] Definitely. 肯定。
[49:09] All right. You’ve had your fun. 好吧。你已经玩够了。
[49:15] I put new tapes on your desk. 我把新磁带放在你桌上了。
[49:18] Close the door. 关上门。
[49:28] I got the deal. 我成交了。
[49:30] For sure, she was very happy. 当然,她非常高兴。
[49:32] Judy! Margaret is expecting you. 朱迪!玛格丽特正在等你。
[49:35] Oh! 哦!
[49:37] – Coffee? – No. —咖啡吗?—没有。
[49:39] That’s very exciting! Yes. 这是非常令人兴奋!是的。
[49:42] What is it? 它是什么?
[49:44] Judy Blume is here. 朱迪·布鲁姆报道。
[49:45] Shit! 狗屎!
[49:47] Uh, Michael, hold on one second. 迈克尔,等一下。
[49:49] That’s today? 这是今天吗?
[49:51] I thought we had more time. 我以为我们有更多的时间。
[49:54] She’s going to blow this, isn’t she? 她会搞砸的,对吧?
[49:56] I think so. 我想是的。
[49:59] Hey! 嘿!
[50:00] We’ve been renovating, moving everything around, 我们一直在翻新,搬东西,
[50:03] which is why your books are down there and out of order. 所以你的书才会在下面乱放。
[50:06] Don’t worry about it. 别担心。
[50:08] I’m Joanna. 我是乔安娜。
[50:09] I’m Margaret’s new assistant. 我是玛格丽特的新助理。
[50:10] And I’m such a huge fan of yours. 我是你的超级粉丝。
[50:12] – That’s very sweet of you. – Really nice to meet you. —你真好。—很高兴认识你。
[50:15] – Judy! – Hi! —朱迪!—你好!
[50:17] How lovely to see you! Come into my office. 见到你真高兴!到我办公室来。
[50:19] Good! 好!
[50:22] Please take a seat. 请坐。
[50:24] You know the way. 你知道路。
[50:27] So… 所以……
[50:46] I’m not sure it could attract readers… 我不确定它能不能吸引读者……
[50:50] Joanna? 乔安娜?
[50:52] Why don’t you answer your phone? 你为什么不接电话?
[50:54] There’s someone at the reception who wants to see you. 接待处有人想见你。
[50:56] Me? 我吗?
[51:06] Are you Joanna Rakoff? 你是乔安娜·拉科夫吗?
[51:08] – Yes! – Is that your real name? —是的!—那是你的真名吗?
[51:10] It’s so ridiculous, it sounds fake. 这太荒谬了,听起来很假。
[51:15] You have no right to keep my letter from Salinger. 你没有权利保留塞林格给我的信。
[51:17] I’m sorry. Who are you? 我很抱歉。你是谁?
[51:19] Because of you, I’m going to fail English! 因为你,我英语要挂科了!
[51:21] Is everything all right here? 一切都好吗?
[51:23] – Yes. – No. —是的。—没有。
[51:25] Why don’t we go downstairs and get a coffee, OK? 我们下楼去喝杯咖啡,好吗?
[51:27] Joanna? 乔安娜?
[51:31] Aren’t you supposed to be in school? 你不是应该在学校吗?
[51:33] Who do you think you are? 你以为你是谁啊?
[51:34] It’s my job here to answer Jerry’s mail. 回复杰里的邮件是我的工作。
[51:37] Oh, it’s Jerry to you? 哦,对你来说是杰瑞?
[51:39] Is he your sugar daddy? 他是你的糖爹吗?
[51:40] No, I… I’ve never even met him. OK? 不,我……我从没见过他。好吗?
[51:44] Mr. Salinger does not want to receive his mail. 塞林格先生不想收到他的邮件。
[51:47] So instead you lecture me like you’re my mother. 所以你就像我妈妈一样教训我。
[51:51] You’re right. OK? 你是对的。好吗?
[51:53] I’m sorry. 我很抱歉。
[51:55] I apologize. 我道歉。
[51:56] Your letter was different. 你的信不一样。
[51:58] And I thought you deserved a real response instead of our, 我觉得你应该得到真正的回应,而不是我们,
[52:01] “I’m sorry we cannot pass along your kind note,” bullshit. “很抱歉我们不能传递你的善意”之类的屁话。
[52:04] So I wrote you something more personal. 所以我给你写了一些更私人的东西。
[52:08] What makes you think your advice 什么使你认为你的建议
[52:09] is better than some bullshit response? 总比一些扯淡的回应好吧?
[52:14] I’m going to summer school. 我要去上暑期班。
[52:16] So thanks a lot, Miss Rakoff. 非常感谢,拉科夫小姐。
[52:34] You sent a personal letter to one of the fans, 你给一个粉丝发了一封私人信件,
[52:37] and she came storming in here? 她怒气冲冲地闯进来?
[52:41] Oh my gosh! 哦我的天哪!
[52:43] Oh my gosh! 哦我的天哪!
[52:47] Do you have any idea how many times, 你知道有多少次,
[52:49] when I was answering Salinger’s letters, 我给塞林格回信的时候,
[52:51] I wanted to write my own one back? 我想写我自己的回信吗?
[52:53] Really? 真的吗?
[52:55] Of course! 当然!
[52:56] “Dear sir, obsess over another writer. “亲爱的先生,迷恋另一个作家。
[52:58] I hear Kurt Vonnegut answers his own fan mail!” 我听说库尔特·冯内古特回复了他自己的粉丝来信!”
[53:02] Sometimes, you just wanna go: “Hey, loser!” 有时候,你只想说:“嘿,失败者!”
[53:05] And… and then others… 和……然后别人……
[53:09] …they’re so engaging. ……他们是如此的迷人。
[53:11] You just want to champion them, you know? 你只是想支持他们,知道吗?
[53:13] Yes, yes! Exactly! 是的,是的!完全正确!
[53:15] Yeah. 是的。
[53:18] But you’ve crossed the line. 但你已经越界了。
[53:20] It’s a huge rabbit hole, ethically and legally. 从道德和法律上讲,这都是一个巨大的兔子洞。
[53:24] I’m taking you off Salinger’s mail. 我要把你从塞林格的邮箱里撤掉。
[53:26] – No, no. – Yes. —不,不。—是的。
[53:28] Hugh, please. I love these letters so much. 请休。我太喜欢这些信了。
[53:30] I promise you this won’t happen again. I promise. 我保证这种事不会再发生了。我保证。
[53:34] Judy? 朱迪?
[53:37] Ah, crap! 啊,糟了!
[53:40] It’s all over. 一切都结束了。
[53:41] Judy? 朱迪?
[53:42] She’s leaving us. 她离开我们。
[53:43] For whom? 为谁?
[53:45] Does it matter? 这有关系吗?
[53:46] If I were Judy, I would have left too. 如果我是朱迪,我也会离开的。
[53:49] Joanna… 乔安娜……
[53:51] Why? 为什么?
[53:54] Tell me, I’m curious. Why would you leave? 告诉我,我很好奇。你为什么要离开?
[53:57] No, I’m really, really sorry. 不,我真的很抱歉。
[53:58] I didn’t mean that. I just, um… 我不是那个意思。我只是,嗯……
[54:00] I’m just sad to see her leave, that’s all. 我只是舍不得她走,仅此而已。
[54:04] Well, until you can articulate a reason that will enlighten us, 在你说出一个能启发我们的理由之前,
[54:09] you can go back to typing your dictation. 你可以继续打字听写了。
[54:12] And fetch Daniel’s prescriptions when you’re done. 等你做完了再去拿丹尼尔的处方。
[54:17] Close the door! 把门关上!
[54:21] For crying out loud! I can’t believe it! 搞什么名堂!我简直不敢相信!
[54:25] I still don’t understand what the hell she’s thinking! 我还是不明白她到底在想什么!
[54:39] OK, you think that when a man falls in love, 好吧,你认为当一个男人坠入爱河,
[54:41] he doesn’t look at another woman, hmm? 他不看别的女人,对吧?
[54:43] But I have news for you. 但我要告诉你一个消息。
[54:45] Every man in this world is looking at every woman 这个世界上的每个男人都在注视着每个女人
[54:47] and deciding weather or not she’s… 决定天气好坏,她……
[54:49] He wants to fuck her? 他想上她?
[54:51] She’s sexy. Right? 她很性感。对吧?
[54:54] Don, I think you might be in a hole 唐,我觉得你有麻烦了
[54:57] and you might wanna stop digging. 你最好别再挖了。
[54:59] You think women don’t look at other men? We do. 你以为女人不看别的男人吗?我们所做的。
[55:02] We even look at other women. 我们甚至会看其他女人。
[55:04] We just don’t drool while we do it. 我们只是在做的时候不要流口水。
[55:08] Buba, Buba… 布巴,布巴……
[55:12] I drool exclusively for you! 我只为你流口水!
[55:14] Hmm? 嗯?
[55:17] Hey! 嘿!
[55:18] White wine? 白葡萄酒?
[55:18] No thanks. I’m, uh… I’m gonna go. 不,谢谢。我,呃……我要走了。
[55:21] Don’t leave. 不要离开。
[55:24] Oh, I know. 哦,我知道。
[55:26] I, um, I actually came to give you this. 我,我是来给你这个的。
[55:29] What’s this? 这是什么?
[55:31] It’s from Karl. 这是卡尔。
[55:32] He’s coming to Washington for a concert. 他要来华盛顿听音乐会。
[55:35] He really wants you to go. 他真的很想让你去。
[55:37] You’ve been in touch with Karl? 你和卡尔有联系吗?
[55:39] He wrote you a letter, but you never answered. 他给你写了封信,但你一直没有回信。
[55:47] Wednesday in DC. 星期三在华盛顿。
[55:49] Yeah. 是的。
[55:52] What is it? 它是什么?
[55:54] Someone should go to the meeting in Washington 应该有人去华盛顿参加会议
[55:57] with Clifford Bradbury, 克利福德·布拉德伯里,
[55:58] make sure that he’s prepared 确保他准备好了
[56:01] and walk him through the agency’s protocol. 给他讲讲局里的规章制度。
[56:05] He did sound jittery on the phone. 他在电话里听起来确实有些紧张不安。
[56:08] I can’t leave New York. 我不能离开纽约。
[56:09] But I suppose I could send… 但我想我可以派……
[56:10] Me! 我!
[56:12] – You? – Send me! —你呢?—给我!
[56:15] Why? 为什么?
[56:18] Take notes and assist Clifford. 做笔记,帮助克利福德。
[56:21] Just let me do this for the agency. 就让我为中情局这么做吧。
[56:24] Uh… 嗯……
[56:27] You are to go to Washington, 你要去华盛顿
[56:30] be the agency’s eyes and ears, 做中情局的耳目
[56:32] find out who this Clifford person is. 找出这个叫克利福德的人是谁。
[56:34] You are to meet with him beforehand 你要事先和他见面
[56:36] and debrief him afterwards, 然后向他汇报,
[56:37] but you are not to meet with Jerry. 但你不能见杰瑞。
[56:39] Jerry must think they are meeting on their own. 杰瑞一定以为他们是自己见面的。
[56:41] Understood? 理解吗?
[56:43] You will not regret this. 你不会后悔的。
[56:44] We’ll see about that. 我们走着瞧吧。
[56:49] Hey! Wait! 嘿!等等!
[56:51] I’ve got a… got a gift for you. 我有一个……我有礼物给你。
[56:55] My birthday was 2 months ago. 我的生日是两个月前。
[56:58] Oh, well, birthdays are for Hallmark. 哦,生日是给Hallmark的。
[57:01] It’s, uh… 这是,呃……
[57:03] It’s my novel. 这是我的小说。
[57:06] You finished it? 你做完了吗?
[57:09] What, don’t you want to read it? 怎么,你不想看吗?
[57:11] Uh, of course I do! Yeah! 我当然知道!是啊!
[57:15] Thanks! 谢谢!
[57:18] Congrats! 恭喜!
[57:53] Mr. Bradbury? 布拉德伯里先生吗?
[57:55] Yes, Joanna! 是的,乔安娜!
[57:56] – Hi! – Hi! —你好!—你好!
[57:58] – Nice to meet you. – And you. —很高兴见到你。—你。
[58:00] I’ve widened the spine, see, 我拓宽了脊椎,看,
[58:02] to give the book some length because it’s too thin. 这本书太薄了,不能再长了。
[58:04] I also re-typed it all from The New Yorker. 我还重新输入了《纽约客》。
[58:06] I didn’t scan it. 我没有扫描。
[58:08] And good thing too, because there were a few small typos. 还有件好事,因为有一些小的拼写错误。
[58:11] The New Yorker doesn’t make typos! 《纽约客》不打错字!
[58:13] Oh, yes! Small ones, but typos still. 哦,是的!小的,但还是有拼写错误。
[58:17] Salinger is such a stickler for details. 塞林格是一个如此执着细节的人。
[58:19] I made two mock-ups. 我做了两个模型。
[58:20] Wow! 哇!
[58:22] Do you think I should have made more? 你觉得我应该多做点吗?
[58:23] No. 不。
[58:24] Oh, I think I should have made more, yeah. 我想我应该多做点的。
[58:27] Mr. Bradbury, it’s gonna go very well. 布拉德伯里先生,一切都会很顺利的。
[58:30] Just forget everything that you’ve heard about Mr. Salinger. 忘掉你听到的关于塞林格先生的一切吧。
[58:33] I think that you’ll find that he’s very straightforward. 我想你会发现他很直率。
[58:36] It’s important that you just be yourself. 做你自己很重要。
[1:00:08] What happened? 发生了什么事?
[1:00:11] Jerry Salinger paid for my lunch! 杰里·塞林格付了我的午餐钱!
[1:00:13] But how did it go? 但结果如何呢?
[1:00:16] We agreed on everything. 我们什么都同意。
[1:00:18] That’s great! 太好了!
[1:00:22] I guess I just missed him then, huh? 我想我只是想他了?
[1:00:23] Except the typos. 除了拼写错误。
[1:00:25] What do you mean? 什么意思?
[1:00:26] He did not want me to correct them. 他不想让我纠正他们。
[1:00:28] Yeah, he seemed peeved that I fixed them. 是啊,我修好了,他好像很生气。
[1:00:30] I thought, at one point, 我一度想,
[1:00:32] he’d say: “Let’s forget the whole thing.” 他会说:“让我们把整件事都忘了吧。”
[1:00:33] Did he say why? 他说为什么了吗?
[1:00:35] He wants it printed exactly as it ran in The New Yorker, 他想把它完全印在《纽约客》,
[1:00:38] as if the typos were actually intentional. 好像这些错字是故意的。
[1:00:41] It makes no sense. 这毫无意义。
[1:00:42] Hey. 嘿。
[1:00:44] Don’t fix any more typos. 不要再修改拼写错误了。
[1:00:46] Don’t tell anybody about the book. 不要告诉任何人关于这本书的事。
[1:00:48] No interviews. That would ruin the whole deal. 没有面试。那会毁了整个交易。
[1:00:51] Yeah, we don’t want to do that. 是啊,我们可不想这么做。
[1:00:53] Great work, Mr. Bradbury! 干得好,布拉德伯里先生!
[1:00:55] My boss is going to be very pleased, OK? 我的老板会很高兴的,好吗?
[1:00:57] Bye! 再见!
[1:01:48] – Jo! – Hi! —乔!—你好!
[1:01:52] You got my invitation. 你收到我的邀请了。
[1:01:56] Yeah. 是的。
[1:01:58] Uh, I’m… I’m so glad you’re here. 呃,我……我很高兴你能来。
[1:02:01] You look great! 你看起来太棒了!
[1:02:02] So do you! 所以你!
[1:02:11] I’m glad you’re here, Jo. I’ve been wanting to apologize. 我很高兴你来了,乔。我一直想跟你道歉。
[1:02:14] What? 什么?
[1:02:17] I was angry when I sent you the letter. 我给你寄那封信时很生气。
[1:02:19] I wrote stuff I didn’t mean. 我写的东西不是我的本意。
[1:02:21] No, don’t apologize. You should be angry. 不,不要道歉。你应该生气。
[1:02:23] I’m… I’m angry at you for not being angry at me. 我……你没生我的气,我很生气。
[1:02:26] I’m… I’m not angry, and that’s absurd, by the way. 我……我没有生气,顺便说一句,这很荒谬。
[1:02:33] You hurt me, and I needed to unleash. 你伤害了我,我需要释放。
[1:02:35] I deserved a proper break-up, you know. 我应该好好分手,你知道的。
[1:02:41] You know, “Karl, I’m leaving you,” “卡尔,我要离开你了”
[1:02:43] you know, the usual stuff. 你知道的,平常的事。
[1:02:45] Yeah… 是的……
[1:02:48] – The usual stuff. – Mm-hmm. —一般的东西。—嗯。
[1:02:51] The apartment felt depressing when you left. 当你离开时,这个公寓感觉很压抑。
[1:02:55] I didn’t read… I didn’t read your letter. 我没读……我没有读你的信。
[1:02:58] Oh, wh-why? 哦,为—为什么吗?
[1:03:01] No, I, um… 不,我,嗯……
[1:03:04] I couldn’t make it past Jo. 我没法从乔身边走过去。
[1:03:07] Nobody else calls me Jo, so… 没人叫我乔,所以……
[1:03:13] I want you back in my life. 我想让你回到我的生活中。
[1:03:17] You know, even if it’s just a phone call 就算只是打个电话
[1:03:19] every once in a while. 偶尔。
[1:03:21] You were my best friend. 你是我最好的朋友。
[1:03:25] I miss you, Jo. 我想你,乔。
[1:03:57] I miss you too. 我也想你。
[1:04:40] I’ve learned that, as phony as it may be, 我明白了,虽然很假,
[1:04:43] you can’t go around revealing your goddamn emotions 你不能到处表露你该死的情绪
[1:04:47] to the world. 向世界。
[1:04:48] Most people don’t give a flying hoot 大多数人根本不在乎
[1:04:50] about, like, what you think and feel 关于你的想法和感受
[1:04:53] most of the time, I guess. 大多数时候,我想。
[1:04:56] And if they see a weakness… 如果他们看到了你的弱点……
[1:04:58] I mean, why, for God’s sake, is showing emotion a weakness? 我是说,看在上帝的份上,为什么流露情感就是一种软弱?
[1:05:03] Boy, do they jump all over you, right? 天啊,他们会扑到你身上,对吧?
[1:05:07] They seem to get right in your goddamn face and… 它们似乎就在你该死的脸上,然后……
[1:05:11] …revel in the fact that you are actually feeling something. ……陶醉在你确实有感觉的事实中。
[1:05:20] Is it good? 是好吗?
[1:05:23] What? 什么?
[1:05:24] The manuscript, is it good? 手稿,好吗?
[1:05:28] It’s interesting. 这很有趣。
[1:05:31] But you hate it? 但你讨厌它?
[1:05:34] I don’t… I don’t hate it. 我不……我不讨厌它。
[1:05:38] Or maybe I do hate it, and that’s why it’s good. 也许我真的很讨厌它,所以它很好。
[1:05:44] It’s weirdly addictive. 这是古怪上瘾。
[1:05:45] But… 但是……
[1:05:47] I don’t want to read about his sex life. 我不想读他的性生活。
[1:05:49] No one wants to read about his sex life. 没人想读他的性生活。
[1:05:54] Maybe I’m just annoyed by his nonchalance. 也许我只是被他的冷淡惹恼了。
[1:05:58] Or because… 还是因为……
[1:06:04] He’s writing and I’m not. 他在写作,而我没有。
[1:06:41] I understand. 我明白了。
[1:06:48] What’s going on? 这是怎么呢
[1:06:50] Shhh! 嘘!
[1:06:51] Well, keep us posted and thank you. 有消息随时通知我们,谢谢。
[1:07:02] Apparently, he shot himself. 显然,他开枪自杀了。
[1:07:05] Wait, who… who shot himself? 等等,谁……谁开枪自杀?
[1:07:06] Daniel, Joanna. 丹尼尔,乔安娜。
[1:07:08] Daniel committed suicide. 丹尼尔自杀了。
[1:07:11] The Daniel? 丹尼尔?
[1:07:13] In the living room, while Margaret was in the bedroom. 在客厅,而玛格丽特在卧室。
[1:07:17] This can’t be right! Daniel is a beautiful man. 这不可能!丹尼尔是一个漂亮的男人。
[1:07:21] He’s sweet and he’s kind and… This can’t be happening! 他很贴心,很善良,而且……这不可能!
[1:07:27] But he looked fine! 但是他看起来很好!
[1:07:29] He was bipolar. 他是双相。
[1:07:30] Margaret took care of him all these years. 这些年来玛格丽特一直照顾他。
[1:07:32] He was her brother? 他是她哥哥?
[1:07:34] Lover. 的爱人。
[1:07:36] Of 20 years. 的20年。
[1:07:39] Wait, are we talking about the same Daniel? 等等,我们说的是同一个丹尼尔吗?
[1:07:41] Daniel was married to Helen, whom you’ve met. 丹尼尔和海伦结过婚,你见过她。
[1:07:44] He lived half the week with Helen 他和海伦住了半个星期
[1:07:47] and the other half with Margaret. 另一半和玛格丽特一起。
[1:07:49] They… shared his care. 他们……分享了他的关心。
[1:07:52] They shared him. 他们分享他。
[1:07:58] Margaret shared a man with another woman? 玛格丽特和另一个女人共用一个男人?
[1:08:01] Joanna, if anyone calls, 乔安娜,如果有人打电话来,
[1:08:03] tell them she’s working from home and take a message, 告诉他们她在家工作,留个口信,
[1:08:06] and no mention of this. 没有提到这个。
[1:08:09] What about if it’s Jerry? 如果是杰瑞呢?
[1:08:11] Especially if it’s Jerry. 尤其是如果是杰瑞。
[1:08:41] Can you please do that some other time? 你能改天再做吗?
[1:08:44] Fine. 很好。
[1:08:50] Thanks. 谢谢。
[1:09:15] Margaret’s office. Joanna speaking. 玛格丽特的办公室。乔安娜说。
[1:09:17] Hi, Joanna! It’s Jerry. How are you? 嗨,乔安娜!这是杰里。你好吗?
[1:09:20] Hi! I’m well. How are you? 你好!我很好。你好吗?
[1:09:22] How is the weather down there? 那里的天气怎么样?
[1:09:23] Muggy. 闷热。
[1:09:25] Is your boss around? 你的老板在吗?
[1:09:27] No, I’m afraid she’s out. 没有,恐怕她出去了。
[1:09:29] She’s been out a lot lately. 她最近经常出去呀。
[1:09:32] Yeah, she’s very busy, lots of meetings. 是啊,她很忙,有很多会议。
[1:09:36] Is there anything I can help you with? 有什么我可以帮忙的吗?
[1:09:38] Let me ask you something. 我来问你点事。
[1:09:40] This, uh, Clifford Bradbury fellow… 这个叫克利福德·布拉德伯里的家伙……
[1:09:43] Sure. 确定。
[1:09:45] What do you make of him? 你觉得他怎么样?
[1:09:46] I like him. 我喜欢他。
[1:09:47] Sometimes, I think he can overthink things, 有时候,我觉得他会想太多,
[1:09:50] but he just doesn’t want to let you down. 但他只是不想让你失望。
[1:09:53] Have you been writing every day? 你每天都写吗?
[1:09:56] A lot of days. 大多数日子
[1:09:58] They’ve given me more responsibility around here, 他们让我负责这里 。
[1:10:01] so I’ve been reading manuscripts! 所以我一直在读手稿!
[1:10:03] You’re a writer, Joanna, aren’t you? 乔安娜,你是一名作家,对吗
[1:10:06] Not an agent, not a secretary. 非代理,非秘书
[1:10:12] I don’t know. 我不知道。
[1:10:13] Sorry, I missed that. 抱歉,我错过了
[1:10:15] I’m a little deaf. 我有点听不清 。
[1:10:18] Yes, um, yes! 是的,嗯,是的!
[1:10:22] I’m a writer. 我是一个作家。
[1:10:23] So write! 这么写!
[1:10:25] Even if it’s just 15 minutes in the morning. 即使早上只有15分钟。
[1:10:28] Protect that sanctuary, OK? 保护圣殿,好吗?
[1:10:31] Don’t get stuck answering the phone, Joanna. 乔安娜,别老是接电话
[1:10:34] You’re a poet! 你是一个诗人。
[1:11:07] – Hey! – Hey, Mark! —嘿!—嘿,马克!
[1:11:21] What is it like, working for The New Yorker? 为《纽约客》工作是什么感觉
[1:11:24] Well, why don’t you come by the office one day? 那你何不哪天到我办公室来一趟?
[1:11:27] We’ll show you around. 我们带你四处看看。
[1:11:29] I would like that very much! 我非常愿意!
[1:11:31] Do you write yourself? 你自己写作吗?
[1:11:33] Uh… 嗯……
[1:11:36] It’s OK! We won’t tell your boss! 没关系!我们不会告诉你老板的!
[1:11:39] I… I’ve published two poems in The Paris Review, 我……我已经在《巴黎评论》上发表了两首诗
[1:11:42] and I’m working on some new material. 我正在创作一些新作品。
[1:11:44] Uh, well, we’d be happy to take look at your material 嗯,我们很乐意看看你的材料
[1:11:47] when you feel it’s ready. 当你觉得它准备好了。
[1:11:50] That would be great. 那太好了。
[1:11:51] That would be really great, yeah. 那真是太好了。
[1:11:53] Let’s cheers to that. 让我们为此干杯。
[1:11:54] OK! 好的!
[1:11:55] Well, the satirical stuff, I like. 我喜欢讽刺的东西。
[1:11:58] I know, but The New Yorker’s fiction is a joke. 我知道,但是《纽约客》的小说是个笑话。
[1:12:00] And that soppy “Talk of the Town” thing? 还有那个伤感的”街谈巷议“吗?
[1:12:04] Don… 不……
[1:12:05] Oh, I’m sorry. 哦,我很抱歉。
[1:12:06] I know you love that shit, that… 我知道你喜欢那个……
[1:12:08] “Oh, let’s all go meet up at the Algonquin. “哦,我们一起去阿尔冈昆见吧。
[1:12:11] I do so wish you could join us,” bullshit. 我真希望你能加入我们” 胡说。
[1:12:17] So when’s the wedding? 婚礼什么时候举行?
[1:12:23] It’s, uh, it’s Columbus Day weekend, right? 今天是哥伦布日周末,对吧?
[1:12:27] Or… or am I making… am I making that up? 还是……还是我在做……这是我编的吗?
[1:12:30] It’s next weekend, Don. 是下周末,唐。
[1:12:32] Joanna, you’re coming, right? 乔安娜,你会来吧?
[1:12:34] Yeah, yeah… 是的,是的……
[1:12:36] Excited! 兴奋!
[1:12:40] You’re an asshole. You know that, right? 你这缺德鬼。你知道的,对吧?
[1:12:43] Uh… 嗯……
[1:12:47] I knew that if I told you about it, 我知道如果我告诉你,
[1:12:49] you’d start planning, 你开始计划,
[1:12:50] like: “Let’s rent a car. Let’s stay in this B&B. 比如:“我们租一辆车吧。”我们就住在这家旅馆里吧。
[1:12:53] What am I gonna wear?” 我穿什么好呢?”
[1:12:54] And then you’d buy that dress and you’d make all these plans, 然后你买了那条裙子,然后做了所有这些计划,
[1:12:57] and then you flip out at me 然后你就冲我发火
[1:12:58] when I told you that I wanted to go alone. 当我告诉你我想一个人去的时候。
[1:13:04] You wanna go to your best friend’s wedding alone? 你想一个人去你最好朋友的婚礼吗?
[1:13:07] OK, listen, 好吧,听着,
[1:13:08] I don’t need to justify myself to you, all right? 我不需要向你证明自己,好吗?
[1:13:10] Really? 真的吗?
[1:13:11] Really, Buba! 真的,布巴!
[1:13:12] All my bros from Hartford will be there. 我在哈特福德的兄弟们都会去。
[1:13:14] It’s gonna be the end of an era. 这将是一个时代的终结。
[1:13:16] And I don’t want to have to worry 我不想再担心了
[1:13:18] about whether you’re having fun or not. 你玩得开心不开心。
[1:13:24] Right! 没错!
[1:13:25] Maybe you’ll meet some hot blonde 也许你会遇到性感的金发女郎
[1:13:28] that wants you to rip her panties off 想让你扯掉她的内裤
[1:13:30] and fuck her up the ass 然后操她的屁股
[1:13:30] and write an unreadable story about her! 写一篇关于她的难以读懂的故事!
[1:13:34] What? Wow! 什么?哇!
[1:13:35] Where is this coming from? 这是怎么回事?
[1:13:36] Where is the sweet, naive girl I met last Christmas? 去年圣诞节我遇到的那个甜美天真的女孩在哪里?
[1:13:38] ‘Cause you know what? 因为你知道吗?
[1:13:40] I’d like her back, please, Buba. 我希望她能回来,拜托了,布巴。
[1:13:41] Stop calling me Buba, OK? I’m not a child! 别叫我布巴,好吗?我又不是小孩子!
[1:13:44] I call you Buba because I love you. 我叫你布巴是因为我爱你。
[1:13:47] It’s what my grandmother calls my mom. 我祖母就是这么称呼我妈妈的。
[1:13:52] You love me? 你爱我吗?
[1:13:53] Of course! 当然!
[1:13:55] I mean, would I be here if I didn’t? 我是说,如果我没有,我还会在这里吗?
[1:13:58] I told you I’ve never lived with a girl before. You changed me. 我跟你说了,我从没跟女孩住过。你改变了我。
[1:14:03] You love me, 你爱我,
[1:14:05] but you don’t want to me to go to Mark’s wedding? 但你不想让我去参加马克的婚礼?
[1:14:07] Correct. 正确的。
[1:14:16] Look, I am older than you. 听着,我比你大。
[1:14:18] I try not to remind you of this, but it is true. 我尽量不去提醒你,但这是真的。
[1:14:20] All right? 好吧?
[1:14:22] And one day, when you’re my age, 有一天,当你到了我这个年纪,
[1:14:23] you’ll realize that two people can love each other 你会发现两个人是可以相爱的
[1:14:25] and not agree on everything 并不是每件事都达成一致
[1:14:27] and not have to do everything together. 不用什么事都一起做。
[1:14:45] You think I should pack a tie? 你觉得我应该带条领带吗?
[1:14:50] Buba? You’re good with this kind of thing. 布巴?你很擅长这种事。
[1:14:53] Like, I don’t have a suit, 比如,我没有西装
[1:14:55] so you think… you think just a shirt and a tie? 所以你认为……你以为只要一件衬衫和一条领带就行了吗?
[1:15:01] You’re depressed. 你沮丧。
[1:15:04] I swear, I mean, I… I recognize the symptoms. 我发誓,我是说……我知道这些症状
[1:15:08] I get like that when I’m emotional. 我一激动就会这样。
[1:15:10] And, well, I can get quite emotional. 而且,我有时会很情绪化。
[1:15:15] I’m not depressed. 我不沮丧。
[1:15:16] Hmm. 嗯。
[1:15:18] I’m a very happy person. 我是一个非常快乐的人。
[1:15:20] What? 什么?
[1:15:23] Nothing. 什么都没有。
[1:15:29] Am I gonna get a kiss goodbye? 我会得到一个吻别吗?
[1:15:40] All right. Goodbye, Joanna! 好吧。再见,乔安娜!
[1:16:14] “I think about Holden a lot. “我经常会想到霍尔顿(麦田守护者的主人公)
[1:16:17] “When I first think about him, I get a stupid grin on my face, “当我第一次想起他,我就傻笑起来,
[1:16:21] “you know, thinking about what a funny guy he is and all. 你知道,想想他是一个多么有趣的人。
[1:16:25] “But then I usually get depressed as hell, “但我通常会非常沮丧,
[1:16:28] “because I only think about Holden “因为我只想到霍尔顿
[1:16:31] “when I’m feeling very emotional. “当我情绪激动的时候。
[1:16:34] I can get ‘quiet’ emotional.” 我可以变得‘安静’。”
[1:16:42] That’s what I had become… 于是我也变成了这样子,
[1:16:46] quiet emotional. 安静的情感。
[1:16:59] Dear boy from Winston-Salem… 亲爱的男孩从温斯顿塞勒姆
[1:17:03] My most profound apologies for taking so long to reply. 我非常抱歉这么久才回复你。
[1:17:08] I’ve been thinking about your letters for months. 我已经想了几个月你的信了。
[1:17:11] I suppose that… 我想……
[1:17:14] I too can get quite emotional about things sometimes. 我有时也会很情绪化。
[1:17:21] But you’re right. 但你是对的。
[1:17:23] You can’t go around revealing your goddamn emotions 你不能到处表露你该死的情绪
[1:17:26] to the world. 向世界。
[1:17:29] But if you can’t reveal your emotions to the world, 但如果你不能向世界展示你的情感,
[1:17:32] then what are you supposed to do with them? 那你该怎么处理它们?
[1:17:34] How do you go on? 你怎么继续下去?
[1:17:37] ‘Cause… 因为……
[1:17:41] I feel like crying all the time. 我总是想哭。
[1:18:33] Joanna? What is it? 乔安娜?它是什么?
[1:18:36] Has something happened at the agency? 局里出什么事了吗?
[1:18:37] No, no, no! Everything’s fine. 不,不,不!一切都很好。
[1:18:41] I brought you these and some soup from Mangia. 我给你带了这个还有芒果汤。
[1:18:44] I know you like their mushroom barley. 我知道你喜欢他们的蘑菇大麦。
[1:18:47] That’s very thoughtful. 这是很周到。
[1:18:50] You do pay attention, don’t you? 你确实注意到了,不是吗?
[1:19:06] You did a fine job on those contracts. 你在那些合同上做得很好。
[1:19:10] Those electronic clauses, 这些电子条款,
[1:19:13] they’ll be the death of publishing. 他们将是出版业的死亡。
[1:19:18] On the other hand, engaging with Jerry’s fans 另一方面,与杰瑞的粉丝互动
[1:19:21] was irresponsible, immature and dangerous. 不负责任、不成熟和危险。
[1:19:24] You know about that? 你知道吗?
[1:19:25] I have fired assistants for less. 我曾经因为更少的薪水解雇过助理。
[1:19:29] Why didn’t you fire me? 你为什么不解雇我?
[1:19:31] Because it’s highly unlikely 因为这是非常不可能的
[1:19:33] you will make the same mistake twice. 同样的错误你会犯两次。
[1:19:35] Also, Jerry likes you. 还有,杰瑞喜欢你。
[1:19:37] I am reluctant to alter his routine. 我不愿意改变他的日常生活习惯。
[1:19:40] I don’t want to be a routine. 我不想成为例行公事。
[1:19:47] I, uh… 我,嗯……
[1:19:49] I have a couple of stories… 我有几个故事……
[1:19:52] from long-term clients. 从长期的客户。
[1:19:55] Read them, 阅读它们,
[1:19:58] and, uh, figure out which magazines they’d be right for 再看看适合哪本杂志
[1:20:01] and send them out. 然后把他们送出去。
[1:20:09] What if I don’t like them? 如果我不喜欢他们怎么办?
[1:20:10] Then it’s your job to figure out who will. 那你的任务就是找出谁会。
[1:20:12] Right. 正确的。
[1:20:15] Thank you. 谢谢你!
[1:20:19] Better get back to the office. 最好回办公室去。
[1:20:21] Why do you think Judy Blume left? 你觉得朱迪·布卢姆为什么离开?
[1:20:24] I’m sorry that I said that. 很抱歉我说了那些话。
[1:20:27] No, please, I would like to know what you think. 不,拜托,我想知道你是怎么想的。
[1:20:42] When you met with Judy, did you discuss her writing? 你和朱迪见面时,有没有讨论过她的写作?
[1:20:47] The quality of her writing was never an issue. 她的写作质量从来都不是问题。
[1:20:52] Maybe she wasn’t looking for the perfect sales pitch. 也许她并不是在寻找完美的推销说辞。
[1:20:57] Maybe she just wanted… 也许她只是想……
[1:21:00] to hear what you thought about the story, 听听你对这个故事的看法,
[1:21:03] what it meant to you. 它对你的意义。
[1:21:07] Or if you love books the same way that she loves them. 或者你是否像她一样爱书。
[1:21:11] I’m not sure my love of books was relevant to that discussion. 我不确定我对书的热爱与这个讨论有关。
[1:21:14] Maybe it was relevant to her. 也许和她有关。
[1:21:20] I know it would be to me. 我知道对我来说是这样的。
[1:21:24] Oh… 哦……
[1:21:28] You know, I sold my first book when I was in my 20s. 你知道吗,我在20多岁的时候卖掉了我的第一本书。
[1:21:32] It was about this young woman journalist 是关于一个年轻女记者的
[1:21:35] in the Spanish Civil War, 在西班牙内战中
[1:21:37] and it was actually written by a man. 实际上是一个男人写的。
[1:21:40] And yet he seemed to understand intimately 然而,他似乎深谙其中之道
[1:21:44] what it would be like for her as a woman. 她作为一个女人会是什么样子。
[1:21:47] Anyway, I sold the book. 不管怎样,我把书卖了。
[1:21:51] And then my boss said that I should represent the author. 然后我老板说我应该代表作者。
[1:21:55] And naturally, I said yes. 我很自然地答应了。
[1:21:57] And then, like, right away, I started to get nervous, 然后,马上,我就开始紧张了,
[1:22:01] almost panicky. 几乎恐慌。
[1:22:03] And what if… 如果……
[1:22:06] what if the author disappointed me as a person? 如果作者让我失望了怎么办?
[1:22:09] And what if I liked the writing, but not him? 如果我喜欢他的作品,而不喜欢他呢?
[1:22:14] And it was about 3 weeks later, 大约三周后,
[1:22:17] we met for lunch at Elaine’s. 我们在伊莱恩家吃午饭。
[1:22:19] And at 9:00 p.m., we were still there. 晚上九点的时候,我们还在那里。
[1:22:24] Yeah, just laughing and talking and, yeah, 是啊,只是说说笑笑,
[1:22:28] sharing our aspirations and our… our love of music… 分享我们的抱负和我们的……我们对音乐的热爱……
[1:22:34] our love of books. 我们对书籍的热爱。
[1:22:39] Daniel? 丹尼尔?
[1:22:42] Yeah, Daniel. 是的,丹尼尔。
[1:22:55] My condolences, Margaret. 我的慰问,玛格丽特。
[1:22:58] I’ll pull my socks up. 我要把袜子穿上。
[1:23:04] Oh! 哦!
[1:23:45] For months, I had been touched by anonymous fans, 几个月来,我一直被匿名的粉丝所感动,
[1:23:49] touched by their desire to connect with Salinger. 被他们想和塞林格联系的欲望所感动
[1:23:54] Their letters had changed me. 他们的来信改变了我
[1:24:00] The time had come to see for myself what had moved them. 是时候亲自看看是什么感动了他们
[1:24:19] Salinger’s nothing like I thought. Nothing. 塞林格不是我想的那样。完全不是。
[1:24:26] He’s brutal, brutal and funny, and I love it. 他是不理性的,但是很有趣,我喜欢。
[1:24:30] I love Franny the most. 我最喜欢弗兰妮(《弗兰妮与祖伊》中主人公)。
[1:24:34] There’s that moment when the guy in Princeton 有一个片段是那个普林斯顿的家伙
[1:24:36] is waiting for Franny at the train station, 在火车站等弗兰妮,
[1:24:38] and he has the letter in his pocket, Franny’s letter. 他口袋里放着弗兰妮的信。
[1:24:42] And he’s read it a thousand times. 他读了上千遍。
[1:24:45] He knows it by heart, 他心里也知道,
[1:24:47] but when she gets off the train and asks, 但是当她下火车时,还是问道,
[1:24:50] “Did you get my letter,” “你收到我的信了吗?
[1:24:51] he says… 他说……
[1:24:53] Which letter? 这封信吗?
[1:26:52] Hey, Buba! 嘿,布巴!
[1:26:56] I thought you’d be at work. 我以为你去上班了。
[1:26:59] I took the morning off. 我早上休息了。
[1:27:01] You know, I missed you, Buba. 知道吗,我很想你,布巴。
[1:27:04] Hmm? 嗯?
[1:27:16] Are you going somewhere? 你要去什么地方吗?
[1:27:20] I’m leaving you, Don. 我要离开你了,唐。
[1:27:26] Y… 是的……
[1:27:27] I get it! This is about the wedding! 我得到它!这是关于婚礼的!
[1:27:29] Something hit me while you were gone. 你不在的时候,有件事触动了我。
[1:27:31] Why are you making a thing out of this? 你为什么要小题大做?
[1:27:33] Listen to me, something hit me while you were gone! 听我说,你不在的时候,有东西击中了我!
[1:27:35] What, that you never really engaged? 什么,你从来没有真正订婚?
[1:27:36] – I didn’t miss you. – What? —我没想你。—什么?
[1:27:38] I didn’t think about you, not for one second. 我没有想过你,一秒钟都没有。
[1:27:42] OK, so you needed some time on your own. I get that. 好吧,你需要一个人静一静。我得到了它。
[1:27:44] You can keep the apartment, all right? 你可以留着公寓,好吗?
[1:27:46] You need it more than I do. 你比我更需要它。
[1:27:47] So you’re gonna give me 所以你要给我
[1:27:49] the, “Sorry, it’s not you, it’s me,” bullshit? “抱歉,不是你的错,是我的错”之类的屁话?
[1:27:51] I should have broke up with you before. 我早该和你分手的。
[1:27:53] I’m not in love with you. 我没有爱上你。
[1:27:55] I’m sorry. 我很抱歉。
[1:28:28] Thanks. 谢谢。
[1:29:47] I knew you could do it! 我就知道你能行!
[1:29:49] I knew it! Come with me! 我就知道!跟我来!
[1:29:51] Hugh! Stop doing what you’re doing! 休!停止你正在做的事!
[1:29:55] Max, we’re coming into your sanctum! 麦克斯,我们要去你的密室了!
[1:29:57] I have an announcement to make! 我要宣布一件事!
[1:29:59] What is it? 它是什么?
[1:30:00] Joanna has sold a story I gave her this summer. 乔安娜卖掉了我今年夏天给她的一篇文章。
[1:30:03] – Congratulations! – Oh! Not surprised! Good job! —恭喜你!—哦!不惊讶!好工作!
[1:30:07] – You’re on your way. – Of course she is! —你在路上了。—她当然是!
[1:30:09] I knew the moment you walked through the door 你一进门我就知道了
[1:30:11] that you were agency material. 你是优秀代理的材料
[1:30:13] Now you can start to build your very own client list, 现在你可以开始建立自己的客户列表了,
[1:30:17] a most exciting feeling for an agent. 对代理来说是最激动人心的感觉。
[1:30:19] Isn’t that right, Max? 对吧,麦克斯?
[1:30:20] For once, I have to agree with Margaret, yes. 这一次,我同意玛格丽特的观点,是的。
[1:30:23] We will celebrate at lunch. 我们将在午餐时庆祝。
[1:30:25] Hope you like martinis! 希望你喜欢马提尼!
[1:30:26] – Oh, she’ll learn to like them. – There you go! —她会学着喜欢的。—这就对了!
[1:31:07] You know, we have some authors 你知道,我们有一些作者
[1:31:10] who would prefer to be with you, I think, 我想他们更愿意和你在一起,
[1:31:12] than an old fogey like me. 比像我这样的老顽固强多了
[1:31:15] Some people I think you’ll like. 有些人我想你会喜欢的。
[1:31:20] What is it? 它是什么?
[1:31:22] I’m so grateful. I’m so, so grateful. 我很感激。我非常非常感激。
[1:31:31] You’re leaving. 你要离开。
[1:31:34] I was planning on talking to you some time this week. 我本打算这周找个时间跟你谈谈的。
[1:31:37] But you’re doing so well! 但你做得很好啊!
[1:31:39] I mean, you have it in you to become a really fine agent. 我是说,你有成为一名优秀代理的潜质。
[1:31:43] You have good instincts, a good heart. 你直觉很好,心地善良。
[1:31:47] Thank you. 谢谢你!
[1:31:50] Thank you, Margaret. 谢谢你,玛格丽特。
[1:31:53] My mind’s made up. 我已经下定决心了。
[1:31:56] Of course, I’ll stay until you can find a replacement. 当然,在你找到替代人选之前我会一直留在这里。
[1:32:03] You have other aspirations. 你有其他的愿望。
[1:32:06] I do. 我做的事。
[1:32:09] We just never really talked about anything 我们从来没好好谈过什么
[1:32:12] other than the agency’s business. 除了代理机构的业务。
[1:32:16] That’s very true. 这是非常真实的。
[1:32:24] But I like working with you. 但是我喜欢和你一起工作。
[1:32:26] I like working here. I really, really do. 我喜欢在这里工作。真的,真的。
[1:32:31] There’s just other things I wanna do, and… 我还有别的事要做,而且……
[1:32:36] I’m afraid that if I don’t do them now, I never will. 我怕如果我现在不做,以后再也不会做了。
[1:32:45] I understand. 我明白了。
[1:33:51] Hi! Kevin told me to drop this by at my convenience. 你好!凯文让我方便的时候把这个给你。
[1:33:56] Would you like to give it to him yourself? I think he’s in. 你愿意亲自给他吗?我想他被录取了。
[1:34:00] That would be lovely. Thanks. 那太好了。谢谢。
[1:34:12] You like Japanese? Oh, hey there! 你喜欢日本吗?哦,嘿!
[1:34:14] Oh, um, guess who’s visiting? 猜猜谁来了?
[1:34:23] I want to give us enough time. 我想给我们足够的时间。
[1:34:26] I wonder about the cover. 我想知道这个封面。
[1:34:27] The cover. 封面。
[1:34:29] Yes. What do you make of it? 是的。你对它有什么看法?
[1:34:31] I don’t think… 我不认为……
[1:34:42] Hello? 你好?
[1:34:44] Listen, I’m thinking. 听着,我在想。
[1:34:45] If I was the guy who put myself on a paper 如果我是那个把自己写下来的人
[1:34:47] and it came out as Catcher in the Rye, 结果是《麦田里的守望者》,
[1:34:49] I’d get a bang out of the bastard writing me a letter 我会从那混蛋给我写信中得到快感
[1:34:52] pretending to be able to do the same. 假装能做同样的事。
[1:34:54] You follow me? 你跟我来吗?
[1:35:40] …chestnut stuffing. ……栗子馅。
[1:35:42] Oh, Jerry? 噢,杰瑞?
[1:35:45] – May I introduce you to… – Joanna! —我可以把你介绍给……—乔安娜!
[1:35:47] So good to finally meet you. 很高兴终于见到你了。
2020年

Post navigation

Previous Post: Something the Lord Made(神迹)[2004]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计
Next Post: The Shawshank Redemption(肖申克的救赎)[1994]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Archives

  • July 2024
  • June 2024

Categories

  • 1931年
  • 1939年
  • 1941年
  • 1942年
  • 1943年
  • 1944年
  • 1948年
  • 1952年
  • 1953年
  • 1954年
  • 1955年
  • 1956年
  • 1957年
  • 1958年
  • 1959年
  • 1960年
  • 1961年
  • 1962年
  • 1963年
  • 1964年
  • 1966年
  • 1967年
  • 1968年
  • 1969年
  • 1970年
  • 1971年
  • 1972年
  • 1973年
  • 1974年
  • 1975年
  • 1976年
  • 1977年
  • 1978年
  • 1979年
  • 1980年
  • 1981年
  • 1982年
  • 1983年
  • 1984年
  • 1985年
  • 1986年
  • 1987年
  • 1988年
  • 1989年
  • 1990年
  • 1991年
  • 1992年
  • 1993年
  • 1994年
  • 1995年
  • 1996年
  • 1997年
  • 1998年
  • 1999年
  • 2000年
  • 2001年
  • 2002年
  • 2003年
  • 2004年
  • 2005年
  • 2006年
  • 2007年
  • 2008年
  • 2009年
  • 2010年
  • 2011年
  • 2012年
  • 2013年
  • 2014年
  • 2015年
  • 2016年
  • 2017年
  • 2018年
  • 2019年
  • 2020年
  • 2021年
  • 2022年
  • 2023年
  • 2024年
  • barui
  • Uncategorized
  • 一切安好
  • 中央公园
  • 亢奋
  • 亿万
  • 传世
  • 兄弟连
  • 克拉丽丝
  • 克拉克森的农场
  • 内裤队长
  • 副警长
  • 十字剑
  • 博斯
  • 卡特特工
  • 双城之战
  • 发展受阻
  • 叶卡捷琳娜大帝
  • 哈哈大校
  • 坏法官
  • 坏老师
  • 基本演绎法
  • 大城小妞
  • 大学生费莉希蒂
  • 大神偷卡门
  • 大西洋帝国
  • 天使在美国
  • 娃娃脸
  • 小小安妮
  • 小谎大事
  • 少年间谍亚历克斯
  • 布里奇顿
  • 幻灭
  • 废柴联盟
  • 康斯坦丁
  • 开心汉堡店
  • 德古拉
  • 德里女孩
  • 怒呛人生
  • 恋爱挑战书
  • 惊异传奇
  • 惊悚50州
  • 意乱情迷
  • 成瘾剂量
  • 我为喜剧狂
  • 找寻自我
  • 摩斯探长前传
  • 教师情事
  • 敢不敢挑战我
  • 新成长的烦恼
  • 日常谜团
  • 明日传奇
  • 星际之门亚特兰蒂斯
  • 更美好的事
  • 末日巡逻队
  • 杀无赦
  • 柏林谍影
  • 死亡医师
  • 比弗利娇妻
  • 波士顿法律
  • 火线警告
  • 灵书妙探
  • 犯罪心理
  • 犯罪现场调查·拉斯维加斯
  • 犯罪现场调查·纽约篇
  • 犯罪现场调查迈阿密
  • 狂欢命案
  • 狄金森
  • 狗狗博客
  • 生活
  • 生活大爆炸
  • 眼见为虚
  • 破产姐妹
  • 破发点大满贯之路
  • 神烦警探
  • 红粉联盟
  • 绝命律师
  • 绝命毒师
  • 绝望的主妇
  • 绿箭侠
  • 罪恶黑名单
  • 美国众神
  • 美国恐怖故事
  • 美国罪案故事
  • 美女上错身
  • 美式主妇
  • 脆莓公园
  • 致命陷阱
  • 艾米丽在巴黎
  • 芝加哥急救
  • 芝加哥烈焰
  • 芝加哥警署
  • 蛇蝎女佣
  • 贴身保镖
  • 达芬奇的恶魔
  • 迷失
  • 逃离丹尼莫拉
  • 逝者之证
  • 郊狼
  • 金牌律师
  • 铁证悬案
  • 随性所欲
  • 零异频道
  • 马男波杰克
  • 鲍勃心动
  • 麻木不仁
  • 黑吃黑
  • 黑帆
  • 黑暗救赎
  • 黑色星期一
{"status":false,"code":5000,"msg":"失败"}

Copyright © 2025 英美剧电影台词站.

Powered by PressBook WordPress theme