英文名称:MacArthur
年代:1977
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[02:09] | As I was leaving my hotel this morning, | 今早 当我离开饭店的时候 |
[02:13] | the doorman asked me, | 守门的人问我: |
[02:16] | “Where are you bound for, sir?” | “先生你从那里来?” |
[02:18] | When I replied, “West Point,” | 我回答:西点军校 |
[02:23] | he remarked,”it’s a beautiful place. | 他特别强调说那是美丽的地方 |
[02:27] | “Have you ever been there before?” | 又问:你之前去过吗? |
[02:40] | Duty, honor, country. | 责任 荣誉 国家 |
[02:46] | Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, | 这三个响亮的名词指引着你想要成为的人物 |
[02:54] | what you can be, | 你可以成为的人物及 |
[02:56] | and what you will be. | 你将要成为的人物 |
[02:59] | They are your rallying points. | 这些名词是使你振作的重心 |
[03:00] | They give you a temper of the will, | 给予你坚韧的意志 |
[03:04] | a quality of the imagination, | 想像力的质量 |
[03:07] | a vigor of the emotions, | 寄托情感的象征 |
[03:09] | a freshness of the deep springs of life, | 清新的生命源泉 |
[03:13] | a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity, | 勇猛果断 决不怯懦退缩 |
[03:18] | an appetite for adventure over love of ease. | 渴求冒险而不贪图安逸 |
[03:24] | In this way, they will teach you to be an officer | 基于对以上种种的爱 会教导你成为一名军官 |
[03:29] | and a gentleman. | 和一位绅士 |
[03:31] | From your ranks come the great captains who will hold | 当战争警钟敲响时 从你们的队伍中将涌现出 |
[03:36] | the nation’s destiny in their hands the moment the war tocsin sounds. | 手持国家命运的伟大军官 |
[03:43] | The Long Gray Line has never failed us. | 军队从没有使我们失望过 |
[03:49] | Were you to do so, | 如果你们让我们失望 |
[03:51] | a million ghosts in olive drab and brown khaki, | 从白十字架的坟场中将涌出千百个穿着褐色卡其服 |
[03:58] | in blue and gray, would rise from their white crosses | 蓝色及灰色破军服的鬼魂 |
[04:01] | thundering those magic words. | 以雷霆般的声音喊出那神奇的口号 |
[04:04] | Duty, honor, country! | 责任 荣誉 国家 |
[04:09] | This does not mean that you are warmongers. | 这不代表你是反战勇士 |
[04:13] | On the contrary, the soldier,above all other people, | 相反 超越一般人的和平爱好者 |
[04:17] | prays for peace, | 祈求和平 |
[04:20] | for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. | 因为他必须忍受战争最惨烈的伤痛与疮疤 |
[04:27] | But always in our minds ring the ominous words of Plato, | 我们耳边经常响起哲学之父柏拉图的警世之言 |
[04:35] | “Only the dead have seen the end of war.” | 只有死者才能看到战争的结束 |
[05:32] | Heads up, soldiers! | 士兵们 抬起头 |
[06:04] | Heads up! | 抬起头来 |
[06:17] | Lieutenant? Yes, sir? | – 中尉 – 长官 请吩咐 |
[06:19] | Major Huff’s got himself wounded. | 上校伤势不轻 |
[06:21] | Would you look after him, please? | 你照顾他好吗? |
[06:23] | Right away, sir. Corporal, would you take this? | 立刻办 长官 – 请替我先拿着这个 |
[06:43] | Major. | 上校 |
[06:46] | So, one of the Battling Bastards of Bataan, eh? | 那么 你是勇战的品种的一员? |
[06:51] | Yes, sir. No mama,no papa, no Uncle Sam. | 是的 长官 没有母亲父亲叔叔 |
[06:55] | Well, help is on the way. | 好 我要提拔你 |
[06:57] | I have Washington’s solemn promise on that. | 以华盛顿的名誉保证 |
[07:01] | General Marshall, Admiral King,will you go right in, please? | 马歇尔将军 海军上将 请 |
[07:04] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:09] | You said you wanted to talk over the Corregidor problem. | 你说你想谈柯雷吉多尔的问题 |
[07:12] | I certainly do. I’ve gone out on a limb with the Filipinos. | 我当然想 我已对菲律宾孤注一掷 |
[07:16] | We should be getting more than inspirational radio messages | 从对日本的封锁 |
[07:19] | through the Japanese blockade. | 我们应该得到除热感以外的消息 |
[07:22] | Have any of our ships made it? | 战船的情况怎样? |
[07:24] | One ship has reached Mindanao,two more made it to Cebu. | 一艘已到达棉兰老岛 两艘已抵至宿务岛 |
[07:26] | The rest were either sunk or captured. | 其余的不是被击沈就是被俘虏 |
[07:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:29] | So far we’ve lost better than 80,000 tons. | 到目前为止损失超过八万吨 |
[07:31] | In other words, MacArthur has received practically nothing. | 换句话说 麦克阿瑟等于是什么都没有 |
[07:34] | That’s about it,Mr. President. | 差不多是的 总统 |
[07:35] | How long can they hold out? Matter of weeks. | – 他们可以支持多久?- 也就几个星期 |
[07:37] | But we’re still dispatching submarines to Bataan and Corregidor. | 但是我们还在派遣潜水艇到巴丹和柯雷吉多尔 |
[07:41] | We managed to land some munitions and drugs, | 我们只能作到把一些伤兵运走 |
[07:43] | and evacuate a few of the wounded,but that’s all we can do. | 和输送一些军火药品到柯雷吉多尔 |
[07:46] | Unless you’re one to start stripping | 除非你想 |
[07:47] | the defenses of the West Coast, | 把西岸的防御撤除 |
[07:49] | the Panama Canal… One bombing of the canal | 像巴拿马运河… 只需要一个炸弹 |
[07:51] | and it’s out of action for two years. | 就足令运河两年不能使用 |
[07:52] | It’s a more vulnerable and important target than Pearl Harbor. | 它是比珍珠港还脆弱而且是更重要的目标 |
[07:55] | And Hitler will have the whole North American continent for a target | 如果我们不在欧州把希特勒阻住 |
[07:58] | if we don’t stop him in Europe. | 整个美州都将成为攻击目标 |
[07:59] | Exactly. | 正确 |
[08:00] | But you know what’s going to happen. | 可是你预料到会发生什么事 |
[08:03] | Like everything else,Douglas is going | 像其他事情一样 道格拉斯总喜欢 |
[08:04] | to take our strategy personally. | 以个人观点看我们的战略 |
[08:06] | He thinks the blockade is a figment of my imagination, | 他以为封锁只是我的想像而已 |
[08:09] | and that I’m somehow deliberately robbing him of glory. | 而我却故意让他脸上无光 |
[08:16] | I wish you people would send Douglas a globe of the world | 我希望你们送道格拉斯整个世界 |
[08:21] | to remind him we have obligations all around it. | 以提醒他我们一直在周围担负义务 |
[08:24] | We have to support Stalin while he fights the bulk of the Nazi army. | 我们要支援斯大林 因为他要对抗大量的纳粹军 |
[08:29] | We have to assist Churchill to keep England functioning. | 我们要援助丘吉尔以保持英国正常的功能运作 |
[08:32] | We have to protect our flanks,the Panama Canal, | 我们得保卫边境 巴拿马运河 |
[08:36] | and General Douglas MacArthur. | 和道格拉斯·麦克阿瑟将军 |
[08:43] | I need him. The country needs him. | 我需要他 国家需要他 |
[08:44] | We can’t leave him to the Japanese. | 我们不能把他交给日本人 |
[08:47] | He won’t leave the Philippines unless you order him off, Mr. President. | 总统先生 除非你命令他撤出 否则他是不会离开菲律宾的 |
[08:57] | Cut an order.Put my name to it. | 下一道命令 用我的名字 |
[09:03] | So long, baby. That’s 140 million bucks the Japs won’t get. | 再会了宝贝 日本人拿不到这一百四十万元 |
[09:11] | I’m army to the marrow of my bones, Dick. | 我是个十足的军人 迪克 |
[09:13] | I’ve never disobeyed an order in my life. | 一辈子从没反抗过命令 |
[09:16] | Now, for the first time,I feel bound to disobey. | 现在 有生以来第一次 我感到必须违抗命令 |
[09:19] | Sir, you couldn’t.You’d be court-martialed. | 你当然不可以 你会受军事审判 |
[09:22] | Then I’ll resign my commission and fight on here as a private. | 那我会退休 在这里作个二等兵继续奋战 |
[09:26] | I want you to direct a statement | 我要你 |
[09:28] | for the president to that effect. | 向总统作以上的答复 |
[09:30] | General, pardon me,but you don’t mean that. | 将军 你不是认真的吧 |
[09:32] | I will not leave.I’ll stay here with my boys. | 我不会离开我要跟部下留在这里 |
[09:35] | Sir, you are the only man alive that can save the Philippines. | 长官 你是当今唯一能挽救菲律宾的人 |
[09:41] | They would never have issued an order to this effect, | 若他们不打算让你立即发动反击 |
[09:44] | unless they intended you to mount an immediate counter-offensive. | 绝不会发下这道命令 |
[09:50] | God damn it, those convoys they diverted, | 该死的 那些保护船传来的消息是真的 |
[09:53] | the troops and supplies that never got here, | 补给品不会再运来了 |
[09:55] | they’re waiting for you in Australia. | 他们在澳洲等着你 |
[09:58] | And if you leave now, you can be back before the food runs out. | 如果你现在离开 你可以赶得上在食物耗尽之前回来 |
[10:07] | Sir, you cannot disobey a presidential order. | 长官 你不能违抗总统的命令 |
[10:18] | The president. | 总统 |
[10:33] | Strange ways destiny pulls men’s lives. | 这样主宰人类的生命很奇怪 |
[10:39] | We have to believe that,don’t we, Jack? | 我们必须相信 对不对 杰克? |
[11:17] | I can’t even find these supplies. | 我甚至找不到那些补给品 |
[11:21] | Fresh meat is coming. | 鲜肉来了 |
[11:23] | File that goddamn requisition. | 把那该死的申请归档 |
[11:25] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[11:36] | Major. Colonel Huff. Hi, Ah Cheu.ls the general busy? | 军长 哈夫上校 将军很忙吗? |
[11:38] | The general busy? | 忙不忙? |
[11:39] | You come and see.He lead a big parade. | 你进来看看 他在大阅兵游行 |
[11:45] | Excuse me, General. | 将军 打扰一下 |
[11:47] | The submarine has arrived to evacuate | 潜水艇抵达了 以疏散 |
[11:49] | President Quezon and his family, as you ordered. | 奎松总统和其家人 您下令吧 |
[11:51] | He still wants you to join them. | 总统坚持让你一起走 |
[11:53] | No, Sid. | 不 希德 |
[11:59] | Much more on the drums. | 鼓声多一点 |
[12:01] | Let’s hear those drums.Louder on the drums. | 让我们多听鼓声 鼓声再大一点 |
[12:04] | Sir, President Quezon is concerned about your safety. | 将军 总统非常关心你的安危 |
[12:06] | He advises… | 他劝你… |
[12:08] | No, Sid.If a commander sneaks out, | 不 希德 如果总司令溜走 |
[12:09] | how are the men supposed to feel? | 部下会有什么感觉? |
[12:12] | I’ll not skulk out of here on a submarine. | 我不会偷摸离开这里去坐潜艇 |
[12:14] | I’ll go in one of Johnny Bulkeley’s PT boats. | 我宁可坐一条土著木船 |
[12:18] | Sir, I know those boats. Their engines are shot. | 将军 我知道那种船 引擎很旧 |
[12:22] | They’ll only make half speed. | 速度慢 |
[12:24] | They’re made of plywood. | 用夹板制造 |
[12:25] | They’ve got gasoline drums all over the deck. | 油浮在甲板上 |
[12:27] | They’re like floating coffins.They’ll go up like a bomb. | 像浮在水上的棺材 他们会像炸弹一样上去 |
[12:31] | At least put your family on a submarine. They’d be safer there. | 至少考虑一下让你的家人去坐潜艇?他们在上面会更安全 |
[12:35] | No, Sid, no. I will stay with the general. | 不 希德 不 我会跟将军留下 |
[12:40] | Jean, you don’t understand. Come here. | 珍 你不了解 来这里 |
[12:42] | We don’t even know how many Japanese are out there. | 我们甚至不知道有多少日本人围在外面 |
[12:45] | A submarine might be the only safe place for you and Arthur. | 对你和麦克阿瑟来说 潜水艇可能是唯一安全的地方 |
[12:48] | We are staying with you. | 我们跟你一起留下 |
[12:51] | Don’t forget those other soiled clothes. | 别忘了那些脏衣服 |
[12:53] | Yes. | 遵命 |
[13:04] | Jeannie, Sid is right. It’s gonna be a very dangerous journey. | 珍尼 希德是对的 这一次行程会很危险 |
[13:10] | I’d rather have you and Arthur… Now, suppose, | 我宁愿你和孩子… 现在 假设 |
[13:12] | as you are so fond of saying, | 你最喜欢说的 |
[13:14] | “We three are one.We drink of the same cup.” | 我们三个是一体的 就要同甘共苦 |
[13:19] | Jeannie… | 珍… |
[13:28] | You’re my finest soldier. | 你是我最好的战士 |
[13:35] | How did Shakespeare put it? | 莎士比亚怎么说来着? |
[13:36] | “The general’s wife is the general’s general.” | 将军的妻子是将军的长官 |
[14:01] | Colonel Wainwright, sir,General MacArthur’s arriving. | 温赖特将军 麦克阿瑟将军到达了 |
[14:05] | Thank you, son. | 谢谢 上士 |
[14:08] | There goes Dugout Doug and his whole goddamn gypsy caravan. | 该死的船 像吉普赛人的蓬车 |
[15:02] | Goodbye, General, sir. | 再见 将军 |
[15:04] | Castro,keep up the good fight. | 不错 继续好好打 |
[15:07] | A guerrilla force is forming.I’m joining them. | 有游击队在组织了 我打算参加 |
[15:10] | Very good. | 好 |
[15:12] | I’ve got my rifle. | 我有步枪 |
[15:13] | Ammunition? | 军火呢? |
[15:14] | Enough. | 足够了 |
[15:15] | All right, then.Cross over to Bataan. | 很好 跨过山头 |
[15:19] | There are good men in the hills there.Join them. | 那里有很好的战士 加入他们 |
[15:22] | Fight with them. | 跟他们并肩作战 |
[15:23] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[15:24] | Good luck, Castro. We’ll meet again. | 祝你好运 卡斯特罗 我们会再碰面的 |
[15:41] | Well, Jim,I have no choice. | 好吧 吉姆 我别无选择 |
[15:44] | I know. | 我知道 |
[15:48] | If we get through to Australia, | 如果我到得了澳洲 |
[15:51] | I’ll be back as soon as I can with as much as I can. | 我会尽快回来 能带多少就多少 |
[15:55] | I suppose I can’t convince you to go by submarine. | 我猜我无法说服你坐潜水艇走 |
[15:58] | No, no. | 不 不 |
[15:59] | If we can break through, it will demonstrate to Washington | 如果我们穿过去 便可以向华盛顿证明 |
[16:02] | that this blockade can be pierced if you have the daring for it. | 只有我们有胆量 这个封锁就可以突破 |
[16:08] | In the meantime, | 同时 |
[16:13] | you’ve got to hold on here. | 你必须坚持到底 |
[16:15] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[16:39] | Cigars, shaving cream. | 雪茄 剃须膏 |
[16:44] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:47] | Jim, let the men know | 吉姆 让部下知道 |
[16:50] | that I’m obeying a direct order from the president. | 我是受总统直接下令才离开的 |
[16:53] | I Will. I Will. | 我会的 我会的 |
[16:57] | When I return, I’ll make you a lieutenant general. | 我回来时 我会升你为中将 |
[17:00] | I’ll be here, or I’ll be dead. | 我会在这里 不然就是死了 |
[17:04] | Goodbye, Jim. | 再见 吉姆 |
[17:06] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[17:19] | Welcome aboard, sir. | 欢迎上船 中尉 |
[17:20] | Thank you, Lieutenant. | 谢谢你 中尉 |
[18:08] | I’m saying hello again to you boys on Corregidor. | 你好 柯雷吉多尔的兄弟们 |
[18:12] | Especially you,General MacArthur. | 特别是麦克阿瑟将军你 |
[18:15] | On behalf of the Japanese nation, | 我代表日本军 |
[18:17] | allow me to invite you to a party | 请你参加庆祝会 |
[18:20] | to celebrate our forthcoming victory.A surprise party. | 预贺日本即将获得的胜利 让你意外的宴会 |
[18:25] | In fact, a necktie party,here in Tokyo. | 事实上 在东京这是很正式的宴会 |
[18:27] | Sorry, General. | 对不起 将军 |
[18:31] | Let’s skip that little party, shall we? | 我们不要去那个宴会 好不好? |
[18:34] | Aye, aye, sir. | 好 长官 |
[19:39] | What is it? | 什么东西? |
[19:41] | Mines. | 鱼雷 |
[21:15] | I think that’s the last of them, sir. | 我想那是最后一个 |
[21:47] | There’s a pot of hot coffee up forward, sir.Would you like some? | 上面有一壶热咖啡 要吗? |
[21:51] | No coffee. | 不要咖啡 |
[21:54] | How do you feel, sir? | 感觉如何 长官 |
[21:58] | I’m not exactly a navy man, Phil. | 我不是海军的料子 菲尔 |
[22:01] | Well, when we get to Australia, | 我抵达澳洲后 |
[22:03] | the commissioner of railways has ordered his own personal car | 铁路局长已命令用他专用的车 |
[22:07] | for your trip to Melbourne. | 载你到墨尔本 |
[22:12] | Anything I can do, sir? | 有什么我可以效劳的?长官 |
[22:15] | Can’t sleep. | 睡不着 |
[22:20] | We’re safe. They’re doomed. | 我们安全了 他们是命中注定的 |
[22:24] | I know what they’re saying. | 我知道他们在讲什么? |
[22:25] | “Dugout Doug MacArthur lies a-shaking on the rock. | 再抽一口烟 麦克阿瑟 我将在石头上抖一下 |
[22:28] | “Safe from any danger and any sudden shock.” | 避开所有危险和突然的撞击 |
[22:33] | I’ve heard that song. | 我听过那首歌 |
[22:35] | Well, I’m sure that the men who thought that one up | 我认为想出这首歌的人 |
[22:38] | were just blowing off steam, sir. | 不过是发泄一下闷气罢了 |
[22:43] | I’m only thankful my father isn’t alive to hear it. | 我只是感谢我的父亲在世时没听到这首歌 |
[22:58] | Sir! | 长官 |
[23:28] | I knew the train would be the best. | 坐火车去是最好的 |
[23:30] | This is the first time he’s really slept since Pearl Harbor. | 自从珍珠港后 这是他第一次真正睡着 |
[23:33] | Mmm. | 嗯 |
[23:52] | Good crowd. And it looks like all the Australian brass | 颇能自傲的 好像所有你想对话的澳洲新娘 |
[23:55] | you want to talk to are out there waiting for you, sir. | 都在外面等你 长官 |
[23:58] | All I see is people.Where are the kangaroos? | 我只看到人 袋鼠在那里? |
[24:01] | Well, I’m sure we’ll see some soon, dear. | 我肯定很快可以看到 |
[24:07] | What I’d like to have is a public address system by the back there. | 我想要的是公开的讲话 |
[24:35] | Hello, Dick.Do you have a report for me? | 迪克 你要向我报告吗? |
[24:37] | Uh, yes, I do, but… | 对 我要 可是 |
[24:41] | But there’s a crowd waiting. | 可是外面有群众在等 |
[24:42] | Why don’t you go out,and I’ll brief you in the hotel? | 为何你不先出去 我们在饭店再碰面 |
[24:49] | Good news can wait, bad news can’t.Let’s have it. | 好消息可以等 坏消息不可以 说来听听吧 |
[24:55] | Well, sir… | 长官 |
[24:59] | I… | 我… |
[25:02] | Nobody knows anything about a Philippine relief expedition. | 没有人知道任何有关菲律宾远征的事 |
[25:06] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[25:07] | In the whole of Australia, | 整个澳洲 |
[25:09] | there is a grand total of some 30,000 U.S. personnel, | 只有三万美国人 |
[25:13] | mostly artillery and engineers, | 大部分是工程师和炮兵 |
[25:15] | scattered all over the continent. | 分散在澳洲各地 |
[25:18] | At present, there’s no American infantry. | 目前 没有美国步兵团 |
[25:23] | Air units? | 空军呢? |
[25:24] | There are about 250 planes of all types, | 大概有差不多二百五十架 |
[25:28] | more or less, in commission. | 各式各样在服役中的飞机 |
[25:30] | Sixty-five of them are undergoing repairs, 122 of them | 六十五架正在维修 一百二十二架 |
[25:33] | are being assembled. | 正在组装 |
[25:36] | There’s almost no navy at all. | 几乎没有海军 |
[25:37] | And no infantry.God help us. | 没有步兵 上帝保佑我们吧 |
[25:39] | Well, there are approximately 300,000 Australian troops, | 大概有三十万澳洲军队 |
[25:43] | but they’ve been described as under-trained and under-equipped. | 但他们被形容为训练不足 装备不够 |
[25:47] | You know what that means. | 你知道那代表了什么 |
[25:49] | Not only is the Bataan rescue mission | 不只是英国救援队 |
[25:51] | so much blue sky over the horizon, | 在彼岸太乐观 |
[25:54] | it is even open to question if we can defend Australia. | 还涉及我们能否防御澳洲的问题 |
[25:59] | Ready to go, Daddy? Shh. | 准备要走了吗?爸爸 |
[26:01] | However, there is one more thing, sir. | 不过 还有一件事 |
[26:05] | Headquarters here at Melbourne has received a message for you | 在墨尔本的总部 收到罗斯福总统 |
[26:08] | from President Roosevelt. | 给你的电讯 |
[26:11] | He has awarded you the Medal of Honor. | 他颁给你荣誉勋章 |
[26:15] | Congratulations, sir. | 恭喜你 长官 |
[26:17] | MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:18] | MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:20] | MacArthur! MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:22] | MacArthur! MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:30] | Congressional Medal of Honor. | 国会勋章 |
[26:32] | MacArthur! MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:34] | MacArthur! MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:35] | You know,my father was awarded | 你知道吗?我父亲十九岁时 |
[26:38] | the same decoration when he was only 19. | 就获颁同样的勋章 |
[26:43] | I had to wait just a little bit longer. | 我等久了一点点 |
[26:48] | MacArthur! MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:50] | MacArthur! MacArthur! MacArthur! | 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 麦克阿瑟 |
[26:53] | But at this moment, I would swap it for just one trained division. | 不过在这一刻 我宁愿把勋章换为受过训练的军队 |
[27:22] | Excuse me, gentlemen. Would you please shoot from a low angle? | 对不起 请从低一点的角度拍 |
[27:25] | The general likes that effect very much. | 将军最喜欢那种效果 |
[27:31] | The President of the United States… | 美国总统 |
[27:42] | The President… | 总统 |
[27:59] | The President of the United States ordered me | 美国总统命令我 |
[28:03] | to break through the Japanese lines | 穿过日本人的防线 |
[28:05] | and proceed from Corregidor to Australia | 从柯雷吉多尔前往澳洲 |
[28:10] | for the purpose of organizing the American offensive against Japan, | 为了组织对抗日本的美国防卫力 |
[28:16] | a primary object of which is the retaking of the Philippines. | 我们首要的目标是再夺回菲律宾 |
[28:23] | I came through, | 我穿过了 |
[28:25] | and I shall return. | 我将要回去 |
[28:37] | This is General Wainwright speaking. | 我是温赖特将军 |
[28:40] | Subject, surrender. | 发言的主旨是投降 |
[28:42] | To put a stop to further useless sacrifice of human life, | 为了停止更多无谓的生命牺牲 |
[28:47] | I’ve decided to accept, in the name of humanity, | 基于人道立场 我决定代表 |
[28:50] | the formal surrender of all American and Philippine army troops | 所有在菲岛上的美国和菲律宾军人 |
[28:55] | in the Philippine Islands. | 接受投降的建议 |
[28:58] | It became apparent that the garrisons would be eventually destroyed. | 很明显的驻军最后必定会被毁灭 |
[29:03] | This dissension was forced upon me | 我是被迫屈服 |
[29:06] | by means entirely beyond my control. | 由于我完全无法控制的因素 |
[29:10] | Let me emphasize there must be no thought whatever | 我要强调千万不要轻视我 |
[29:13] | of disregarding these instructions. | 和我的指示 |
[29:16] | My assistant chief of staff will repeat the complete text of this letter | 我的第一副军官会重复这信的内容 |
[29:21] | by radio to General MacArthur. | 透过无线电发给麦克阿瑟将军 |
[29:24] | It’sa trick.It’s a Japanese deception. | 这是把戏 是日本人的骗局 |
[29:26] | No, sir. Everyone recognized the general’s voice. | 不 长官 大家都认得将军的声音 |
[29:29] | He struck Old Glory and ran up a bed sheet. | 他毁了所有的荣誉 胡说八道 |
[29:33] | By what authority does he issue such an unlawful order? | 他拿什么权力发下这违法的命令 |
[29:36] | He’s the acting commander. He’s… | 他是代理总指挥 |
[29:37] | The only possible explanation is that he’s temporarily deranged. | 最简单的解释是他是暂时性神经错乱 |
[29:41] | For that reason alone,his orders have no validity. | 基于这原因 他的命令不生效 |
[29:44] | I place no credence on this alleged broadcast. | 我不会遵重这可疑的广播 |
[29:47] | Everybody up there believed him, the Japanese included. | 每个人都相信你 日本人也是 |
[29:50] | The conditions… | 投降的条件 |
[29:51] | If it’s true, then we should get back at once. | 如果是真的 我希望马上回去 |
[29:54] | It’s not too late to join the guerrillas on Luzon. | 参加在吕宋岛的游击队还为时不晚 |
[29:56] | General,you can’t be serious. | 将军 你不是认真的吧 |
[29:58] | They won’t be organized for months. | 他们得花几个月才组织起来 |
[30:01] | Now, we both know that Wainwright | 我俩都知道温赖特将军 |
[30:02] | could not hold on indefinitely. | 不可能再支持下去 |
[30:04] | He was not asked to hold on indefinitely. | 他并非被命令要一直支持下去 |
[30:06] | His job was to defend the island until help arrived. | 他的工作是守卫吕宋岛 直到救援抵达 |
[30:10] | That was his assignment! | 那是他的任务 |
[30:11] | He had no supplies,no food left. | 他没有补给品 没有食物 |
[30:13] | The malaria was totally out of hand. | 痢疾完全无法控制 |
[30:15] | If he had tried to hold out one more day, | 如果他尝试多支持一天 |
[30:18] | then we would’ve had a dreadful massacre. | 我们将会有一堆可怕的尸体 |
[30:24] | General, would… | 将军 可不可以 |
[30:42] | Yes, yes, yes. | 是 是 是 |
[30:45] | I suppose it was just a matter of time. | 只是早晚的问题而已 |
[30:51] | General Blarney on Line 2, sir. | 贝米将军在第二线 长官 |
[30:53] | I can’t speak to him now. | 我现在无法跟他说话 |
[30:58] | He’ll call back later. | 他晚点会再打来 |
[31:08] | There’s some talk in Washington | 华盛顿那边想 |
[31:09] | about a Medal of Honor for Wainwright. | 给温赖特颁发一些荣誉勋章 |
[31:15] | They want you to recommend it. | 他们要你的推荐 |
[31:21] | Medal of Honor? | 荣誉勋章? |
[31:28] | If Wainwright received it, | 如果温赖特拿的话 |
[31:30] | it would constitute an injustice | 对其余贡献更多的人来说 |
[31:32] | to others who have done far more. | 就不公平 |
[31:41] | Send the following radio to General Marshall. | 发电文给总司令 内容如下: |
[31:44] | “I believe that Wainwright has become temporarily unbalanced, | 我相信温赖特将军是暂时性精神错乱 |
[31:48] | “and that his condition renders him susceptible of enemy use.” | 他的情形会让他容易被敌人利用 |
[31:53] | Unquote. | 结束引语 |
[31:57] | General, this training is all well and good, | 这次训练非常棒 |
[31:59] | but it’s just not enough. | 但还是不够水准 |
[32:01] | These troops are green corn.They won’t be ready for weeks. | 这些军队都是新兵 再训练几星期也不能用 |
[32:06] | All soldiers are green until their first battle. | 所有军人在正式上战场以前都是新兵 |
[32:09] | Shit, sir. Excuse me, I don’t even have the transport | 长官 对不起 在二十四小时内 |
[32:12] | to supply a single division for 24 hours. | 我要运载一旅军人去支援都不能 |
[32:14] | Hell, I can’t even land them on the beach. | 我无法使他们登陆 |
[32:17] | Harding, I want action from you, not complaints. | 我要你行动 不是要你抱怨 |
[32:20] | If I don’t get going, the navy’s gonna win this war. | 如果我不快马加鞭 海军就会赢了这场战争 |
[32:23] | Look what Nimitz did up at Coral Sea and Midway. | 看看尼米兹在珊瑚海和中途岛做了什么 |
[32:27] | I know you don’t have everything you need, but… | 我知道你没有一切所需的东西 |
[32:28] | Look,Sir, if I could just have a little more time… | 可是长官 如果我能有多点时间 |
[32:30] | That’s because our friends in Washington | 那是因为在华盛顿的朋友 |
[32:32] | are sending it all to George Patton in North Africa, | 把装备都运给北非的乔治巴顿去了 |
[32:35] | so he can run around in the desert,fighting a seesaw tank battle. | 所以他才可以跑到沙漠中进行坦克拉锯战 |
[32:38] | General,if I could just have… | 将军 如果我可以有… |
[32:40] | Sid, I want to see my new air commander. | 希德 我想见我的新空军司令 |
[32:41] | Where’s General Kenney? | 康宁上校在那里? |
[33:01] | General Kenney? | 康宁上校? |
[33:02] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[33:03] | Where’d you get the B-17? | 这部B17从那里来的? |
[33:06] | It flew in from the States this morning. | 今早从美国飞来的 |
[33:08] | We’re putting together several squadrons up in Brisbane. | 我们把布里斯班的几个中队放在一起 |
[33:11] | Good. How soon can you get them in the air? | 你要多久才能把飞机飞上去? |
[33:13] | Soon enough to get the enemy off our back, | 在敌人抵达我们背后之前 |
[33:16] | and maybe go kick his butt for a change. | 可能也会换个花样 去打一下他的屁股 |
[33:19] | Good, good. My boys say you can’t do it. | 好 好 我的部下说你办不到 |
[33:22] | Well, your boys aren’t fliers. Give me five days to prepare, | 你的部下不是飞行员 给我五天时间准备 |
[33:26] | and I’ll ship the whole goddamn United States Army to New Guinea by air. | 我将把所有美兵运到新几内亚 |
[33:30] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[33:32] | My staff hear about this? | 我的职员听你提过这事儿吗? |
[33:34] | I doubt it. | 我持怀疑态度 |
[33:35] | Don’t tell them. You’ll scare them half to death! | 不要告诉他们 你会把他们吓个半死 |
[33:38] | Attack! | 进攻 |
[34:17] | And you ram it right down his throat! | 你把它从他的喉咙上撞下来 |
[34:19] | The recent bombings of our northern airfields | 最近的战事形势 |
[34:22] | give us every reason to believe | 有足够理由让我们相信 |
[34:23] | that the nips’ next move will be | 敌人下一部 |
[34:25] | a massive invasion of the Australian continent. | 将会大举入侵澳洲 |
[34:29] | The garrison at Darwin, up here, | 我估计达文这边的驻军 |
[34:32] | doesn’t have enough troops to hold for more than 48 hours. | 没有足够的人手抵挡超过48小时 |
[34:36] | So our best plan, therefore, is to show token resistance | 所以目前最好的计策是避免全力抵抗 |
[34:40] | and fall back rapidly to this, the Brisbane Line. | 迅速撤退至里斯本防线 |
[34:44] | To the north, the enemy will find only burnt offerings. | 在北部 敌人只能找到一片残垣 |
[34:49] | Meanwhile in the southeast, we will throw everything | 而这时 在东南部 我们将全力以赴 |
[34:52] | into the fight for the cities and the farmlands around them. | 保卫城市和周围的农场 |
[34:56] | This is the living heart of Australia, | 这是澳洲的心脏地带 |
[34:59] | and we shall defend it with our lives. | 我们将舍命抵抗 |
[35:02] | General. Thank you. | 将军 请 谢谢 |
[35:06] | Gentlemen, | 各位先生 |
[35:10] | I’ve been deeply moved and deeply stirred | 我深受感动 深感兴奋 |
[35:15] | by the Allied efforts, | 由于盟军的努力 |
[35:18] | and by the courage and determination of the Australians | 以及澳洲人的勇气和果断 |
[35:21] | as expressed by General Blarney, | 正如贝米将军所诠释的那样 |
[35:23] | but as supreme commander of the southwest Pacific area, | 但是身为南太平洋区的最高统帅 |
[35:28] | I will not be the leader of another lost cause. | 我不会作另一位迷途的领导人 |
[35:32] | We are attacking, gentlemen. | 我们在攻击 诸位 |
[35:35] | I am going to make the fight for Australia | 我要使澳洲出击 |
[35:38] | up here in New Guinea. | 在新几内亚这里 |
[35:52] | Hey, Joe, what are you doing out here? | 你在这里干什么? |
[35:56] | You should be home on the farm walking with your girl, | 你应该在家跟女朋友在农场散步 |
[35:59] | getting your chores done and sitting down to supper. | 做完家务后下来吃晚餐 |
[36:02] | Or maybe you should be taking in a show, | 或者你应该去看一场表演 |
[36:05] | walking down Broadway, sipping Coke. | 走在百老汇的街上 喝着可乐 |
[36:09] | The jungle’s where we live. It’s where you die. | 我们生活的丛林就是你的葬身之地 |
[36:15] | Bob, I sent for you | 鲍勃 我叫你来 |
[36:16] | because I don’t think you like a stalemate any better than I do, | 是因为我认为你不会比我更喜欢僵局 |
[36:19] | and that’s what we’ve got here in New Guinea. | 但在新几内亚我们只有僵局 |
[36:21] | They tell me that American boys | 他们告诉我美国男孩 |
[36:23] | are actually throwing away their rifles and turning tail. | 竟然真的把步枪丢掉 拔腿就跑 |
[36:26] | That hasn’t happened since the first battle of Bull Run. | 自波洛文战役以来从未有过的事 |
[36:29] | I want you to relieve Harding. | 我要你去援助哈丁 |
[36:31] | This isn’t the Civil War, General. | 这并非内战 将军 |
[36:34] | Harding’s a good man, he’s a good officer. | 哈丁是个好人 他是一个好军官 |
[36:36] | It’s just that he’s up against… | 只是他反对 |
[36:37] | I’m sending you in, Bob. | 我交托给你 鲍勃 |
[36:39] | I want you to remove all officers who won’t fight. | 我要你撤去所有不愿打战的军官 |
[36:41] | If necessary, put sergeants in charge of battalions | 有需要的话 以上士替代中尉 |
[36:44] | and corporals in charge of companies. Anyone who will fight. | 下士统领一军队 只要能打战就行 |
[36:48] | I want you to take Buna or don’t come back alive, | 我要你夺回波拉否则就别活着回来 |
[36:50] | and that goes for your chief of staff, too. | 你的主要部属也一样 |
[36:56] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[37:00] | Bob. | 鲍勃 |
[37:05] | If you come through this all right, | 如果你平安渡过 |
[37:07] | I’ll give you the Distinguished Service Cross, | 我会给你卓著服役十字勋章 |
[37:09] | I’ll recommend you for a high British decoration, | 我会推荐你领取英国勋章 |
[37:12] | and I’ll release your name to newspaper publication. | 把你的名字公告在各报章上 |
[37:17] | Yes, sir. Thank you very much, General. | 长官 非常感谢你 |
[37:31] | I don’t care how deep the goddamn mud is! | 我不管他妈的泥有多深 |
[37:33] | I want you just to kick ass, or I’m gonna relieve yours! | 我要你踢屁股 不然我把你解除掉 |
[37:41] | Good news, General. This battle is over. | 好消息 将军 这场战打完了 |
[37:45] | It says so right here in Stars and Stripes. | 文中说他们在星条旗这里 |
[37:48] | General MacArthur won it yesterday. | 麦克阿瑟将军昨天赢了 |
[37:50] | Well, the great Sarah Bernhardt. Another dramatic moment. | – 好吧 伟大的莎拉·伯恩哈特 – 另一次戏剧性时刻 |
[37:54] | God, he tells the newspapers, | 上帝 他对报纸说 |
[37:58] | but I wish he’d told the Japanese. | 我宁可他对日本人说 |
[38:01] | Son of a bitch. “Mopping-up operation”! | 狗娘养的 扫荡战略 |
[38:03] | Now, what kind of a phrase is that to ask men to die for? | 要我为这种名义去死 |
[38:06] | I’m surprised he didn’t say we’re just “policing the area.” | 奇怪 他为何不说我们只是在巡视这个地区 |
[38:09] | I wonder who really writes that propaganda. | 我猜不透谁会写这种宣导文章 |
[38:11] | EICHELBERGERI I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[38:13] | I don’t trust any of those ass-kissers up there at GHQ | 我不信任在总部的任何人 |
[38:16] | surrounding MacArthur. | 围着麦克阿瑟 |
[38:18] | Hell, he doesn’t have a staff, he’s got a court. | 他不是一个职员 而是一个法庭 |
[38:22] | You ever see any of them? | 你看到他们之中的任何一个吗? |
[38:25] | They remind me of a bunch of barracuda | 这使我想起多年前在上海 |
[38:26] | I used to play poker with in Shanghai years ago. | 常跟我一起玩扑克牌的一班苦力 |
[38:29] | We had to put the goddamn cuspidor in the center of the table | 他们把痰盂放在桌子的中央 |
[38:32] | because no one dared look away long enough to spit. | 因此没有人敢往别处转头 吐口水的时间也没有 |
[38:36] | Where you off to? | 你要去那里? |
[38:37] | Gotta go to the latrine, sir. | 要去巡视 长官 |
[38:40] | But I shall return. | 不过我会回来的 |
[39:09] | Australian. No tags. | 澳洲人 没有名牌 |
[39:12] | No tags? Take care of him later. | 没有 等一下再管他 |
[39:16] | U.S.725… US7725 | |
[39:24] | Oh, my God. Here comes General MacArthur. | 我的天 麦克阿瑟将军到这里来了 |
[39:27] | Yeah, yeah, and I bet he’s got Eleanor Roosevelt with him, too. | 对 我打赌他带罗斯福夫人来呢 |
[39:31] | No, I’m serious. Look. | 不 我说真的 你看 |
[39:36] | General, sir. Excuse me, sir, but we just… | 将军 对不起 我们刚 |
[39:39] | We just killed a Jap sniper here not five minutes ago. | 在五分钟之前我们刚杀了日本的狙击手 |
[39:42] | Fine, son. That’s the best thing to do with them. | 很好 上士 这是对付他们的最佳方法 |
[39:44] | Thought you said there were 1,500 Japs here. | 上士说这里有一千五日本兵 |
[39:46] | We ran into more like 6,000. | 可是却好像有六千人 |
[39:53] | US5813864 U.S.5813864. | |
[39:59] | You mind repeating the last four again? | 请重复最后四个数字 |
[40:01] | 3864 Three- eight- six- four. | |
[40:05] | Not my idea of how to win a war. | 这不是我要打胜战的方法 |
[40:08] | Australian. 00802. Protestant. | 澳洲人00802 |
[40:16] | Dennison, E. | 史提夫2440786 |
[40:31] | I’m thinking about Hansa Bay still up ahead. | 我在想汉沙湾还在前面 |
[40:34] | Yes, and Hansa Bay is not some little outpost | 是的 汉沙湾不是普通的哨所 |
[40:37] | that we can overrun with galoshes and determination. | 随便决定便可占领 |
[40:41] | We need men, supplies. | 我们需要人手和补给品 |
[40:44] | Plenty of both. | 而且要很多 |
[40:46] | Well, bombing Hansa Bay is one thing. Taking it’s another. | 轰炸汉沙湾是一回事 占领又是另一回事 |
[40:50] | You can say that again. | 你可以再说一次 |
[40:52] | Well, let’s just say we won’t take Hansa Bay. | 这样我们不去夺取汉沙湾 |
[40:57] | KENNEYI We won’t what? | 我们不去 |
[40:59] | That’s it. We don’t want it. | 不错 我们不要它了 |
[41:03] | General, the farther up the New Guinea coast we go, | 将军 我们走得离新几内亚海岸越远 |
[41:07] | the more trouble we’re gonna run into. | 我们就会陷入越多的麻烦 |
[41:09] | And I hope you don’t think it’s gonna be any easier at Wewak. | 我希望你不会认为在韦瓦克这里就会更容易 |
[41:12] | There’s 60,000 of them holed up there, | 有6万名士兵在那里整装待发 |
[41:14] | sharpening their samurai swords. | 拿着武士刀的日本兵 |
[41:15] | Good. I hope there’s more. | 好 我希望有更多 |
[41:18] | We don’t want Wewak, either. We’ll bypass their strong points, | 我们也不想要韦瓦克 我们越过他们的军事优势 |
[41:23] | cut their supply lines and leave them to wither and die on the vine. | 切断他们的补给线 让他们在那里枯萎死去 |
[41:26] | But what about my men? | 那我的人怎么办? |
[41:28] | Starve Hausa Bay. Starve Wewak. | 让汉沙湾饥饿 让韦瓦克饥饿 |
[41:31] | Starvation is my ally. | 饥饿是我的盟友 |
[41:33] | Okay, soldier, welcome to the fight. | 军人们 欢迎参加战役 |
[41:36] | So the out of the cards has dealt you a tour of the Pacific. | 有幸能够一游太平洋 |
[41:39] | What’s it going to be like fighting the nips, | 跟日本打战到底是怎么一回事? |
[41:41] | and who is this man, Douglas MacArthur, your new commander? | 你的新指挥官道格拉斯·麦克阿瑟到底是什么人? |
[41:45] | Let’s take a look at the general who, in a few short months, | 让我们看一下这位将军 他在几个月内 |
[41:48] | has turned the tide towards victory. | 反败为胜 |
[41:50] | Colonel Whitney. Yes. We’ve been expecting you. | 维尼上校 我们在等你来 |
[41:53] | Welcome to New Guinea. Come in out of the light. | 欢迎到新几内亚 从灯光中进来 |
[41:55] | I’m so sorry. That’s all right. | 对不起 没关系 |
[41:56] | Please, have a seat right over here. | 请坐在这里 |
[41:58] | Excuse me just a moment. I have to watch this one section. | 对不起 请等一下 我要看这段 |
[42:04] | Okay, that’s more like it. | 对了 这才像样 |
[42:11] | I understand you’re here to organize Philippine guerrilla activity? | 我明白你来要组织菲律宾游击队 |
[42:14] | Yes, that’s right. | 对 不错 |
[42:15] | But, you know, I’ve just come from Washington, | 但你知道我刚从华盛顿来 |
[42:16] | and I must tell you straight off, | 我必须马上告诉你 |
[42:18] | you’ve done an absolutely top-notch job on the general’s press. | 你对舆论界下的功夫真够辛苦 |
[42:22] | He’s America’s hero now, you know, | 他现在是美国的英雄 |
[42:23] | and no small amount of credit belongs to you. | 但关于你的功劳没有半个字 |
[42:26] | Well, we don’t want the home folks to forget about us out here. | 我们不愿家乡的人忘记我们 |
[42:29] | I don’t think you realize the dimensions of the excitement. | 我认为你也不了解那种热烈的程度 |
[42:32] | Here. Letters from congressmen, senators, | 这里有国会议员的信 参议员 |
[42:35] | corporation executives, even two governors. | 大机构总裁 甚至有两位州长 |
[42:38] | And thousands of just plain folks. | 及上千封平民的信 |
[42:42] | “You are big, B-I-G, | 你很伟大 |
[42:45] | “enough to do a complete housecleaning | 足够能扫干净 |
[42:47] | “of parasitic bureaucrats in Washington. | 华府寄生虫般的官僚主义 |
[42:50] | “As long as the war is on, only a military figure like yourself | 只要战争延续 像你这样的军人 |
[42:53] | “can unseat the man in the White House.” | 才有办法取代白宫的位置 |
[42:55] | There’s one from a lady in New Jersey I want you to read. | 我要你看一封新泽西女士的信 |
[42:57] | Excuse me a minute. I just want to look at this closing. | 对不起 我想看这一段 |
[42:59] | Oh, sure. | 请便 |
[43:00] | Just remember, America’s greatest combat general | 请记住 美国最伟大的战斗将军 |
[43:03] | will be leading you into battle. | 将带领你出征沙场 |
[43:05] | “Hit them where they ain’t.” That’s his motto. | 他的格言是”击其要害” |
[43:08] | This is the MacArthur touch. | 这就是麦克阿瑟的作风 |
[43:11] | Combining sea and air power as never before, | 联合前所未有的空军和海军 |
[43:14] | he’s leapfrogging right over the enemy’s strongholds to cut their chow line, | 他的队伍越过敌人的要地以切断他们的补给线 |
[43:18] | all the way to the Philippines. | 一直到达菲律宾 |
[43:21] | Now you get your chance to fulfill the immortal pledge. | 现在你得到实现你的诺言的机会 |
[43:25] | I came through, and I shall return. | 我穿越了 我将会回去 |
[43:33] | Good. Good. | 好 好 |
[43:35] | Some exciting stuff there. | 很有看头 |
[43:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[43:37] | Okay on this one to Washington. | 可以进攻白宫了 |
[43:41] | Wow. President MacArthur. I like the sound of that. | 麦克阿瑟总统 听来还不赖 |
[43:45] | Only question is, how does it sound to MacArthur? | 问题是麦克阿瑟自己喜不喜欢 |
[43:47] | You know that I have no political ambitions whatsoever. | 你知道我没有政治野心什么的 |
[43:51] | General… | 将军 |
[43:53] | General, this country’s always had a hero. | 将军 我们的国家常出英雄人物 |
[43:56] | Washington, Lincoln, Lindbergh. | 华盛顿 林肯 林德伯格 |
[43:59] | Now you. | 现在的英雄就是你 |
[44:02] | It’s in all the papers. | 报纸上都有写 |
[44:04] | The Republican ones. | 共和党要你 |
[44:05] | No, sir. Democratic ones, too. | 长官 民主党也要你 |
[44:08] | Listen to this woman in New Jersey. | 听一下新泽西的这个妇女怎么说 |
[44:10] | She says, “I have never wanted to sin with any other man in my life, | 她说:我从没想过要背叛我的丈夫 |
[44:15] | “but I would with you.” | 但是跟你的话我却愿意 |
[44:17] | How about it, General? | 有何感想?将军 |
[44:23] | Here’s a little boy in Moline, Illinois. Wants to know, | 有一位住在伊利诺州的小男孩想知道 |
[44:26] | “Why do you carry a cane? Are you feeble?” | 问你为什么拿着手杖?你是不是身体虚弱? |
[44:48] | General, what we want to do is to print “I shall return” | 将军 我们想把”我将会回去” |
[44:52] | on candy bars, matchbooks, chewing gum, sewing kits and pencils, | 印在糖果 火柴包 口香糖 |
[44:57] | and drop them on the Philippines to boost morale. | 空投到菲律宾 激励士气 |
[44:59] | First-rate idea. -Yes, sir. | 很好的建议 – 是 长官 |
[45:00] | But back in Washington, the Office of War Information wants to know | 但在华盛顿的军方官员想知道 |
[45:03] | if, before things get going, | 在一切没进行之前 |
[45:05] | you’d be amenable to a small revision of the wording. | 可否对用辞作一些小小的修正 |
[45:07] | What sort of a revision? | 何种的修正? |
[45:09] | Well, sir, they feel that “We shall return” is more to the point. | 长官 他们感觉用”我们将会回去”更为贴切 |
[45:13] | “We shall return”? | 我们将会回去? |
[45:14] | Yes, sir. | 对 长官 |
[45:17] | I fail to see what purpose that would serve. | 我看不出这有什么作用 |
[45:23] | Why does Roosevelt want me at Pearl Harbor? | 为什么罗斯福要我去珍珠港? |
[45:26] | What’s he up to? | 他在盘算什么? |
[45:28] | Why haven’t I been told what this is all about? | 为什么没人告诉是怎么一回事 |
[45:33] | I’m perfectly willing to discuss strategy | 如果他们要我公开讨论战略 |
[45:35] | with Admiral Nimitz, if that’s what they want. | 我很乐意 |
[45:41] | I suspect Roosevelt has been pulling some strings to keep me in the dark. | 我怀疑罗斯福施加了压力 为的是把我蒙在鼓里 |
[45:47] | You know, he’s always favored the navy. | 你知道他一向偏爱海军 |
[46:18] | That’s our general. | 这才是我们的将军 |
[46:20] | And you should see the fire-engine red car he just drove up in. | 你该去看看他刚开回来的那辆红色轿车 |
[46:24] | Douglas MacArthur, starring Douglas MacArthur. | 这是道格拉斯·麦克阿瑟的作风 |
[46:27] | He keeps me waiting half an hour, | 他让我们等了半个小时 |
[46:28] | and then he gets a bigger reception than I did. | 然后得到最盛大的接待欢迎 |
[46:31] | Now I see what Eisenhower meant. | 现在我明白艾森豪威尔的意思了 |
[46:32] | He said he spent nine long years | 他说他花了九年的时间 |
[46:35] | with MacArthur, studying dramatics. | 跟麦克阿瑟学习喜剧 |
[46:44] | Excuse me, sir. Would you look this way? | 对不起 长官 请看这一边 |
[46:47] | Keep talking and act natural. | 继续谈话 保持自然 |
[46:52] | You’re looking well, Douglas. Tell me about your family. | 你气色很好 道格拉斯 你的家人怎样了 |
[46:55] | Just fine, thank you, Mr. President. | 他们很好 总统先生 |
[46:57] | Sorry that I couldn’t entertain Eleanor when she was in Australia. | 我很抱歉 总统夫人到澳洲而我没有好好的款待 |
[47:01] | She enjoyed visiting with Mrs. MacArthur. | 她很喜欢和你的夫人一起作探访 |
[47:03] | You, as I recall, were out of town fighting a war. | 你当时不在家中 正在外面打仗 |
[47:10] | Oh, and, Douglas, before we get down to business, | 道格拉斯 在谈正话之前 |
[47:13] | I’d like to take this opportunity | 我想利用这机会 |
[47:15] | to present you with a decoration. | 给你看一个勋章 |
[47:17] | The Order of Merit for conspicuous inspiration | 圣者的指示 |
[47:22] | of the American people. | 美国人公开的愿望 |
[47:33] | General MacArthur, we have asked you here | 麦克阿瑟将军 我们请你来的原因 |
[47:35] | because the Joint Chiefs of Staff | 是由于军方首长们 |
[47:37] | have been considering for about a year, without a decision, | 花了一年时间仍然无法决定太平洋战场的 |
[47:40] | the next step to be taken in the Pacific War. | 下一步棋该如何走? |
[47:43] | The president has decided he would like to hear firsthand | 总统决定亲自听一下 |
[47:47] | the views of his commanders in chief in the field. | 各位指挥官的意见 |
[47:50] | Admiral Nimitz, would you please present the plan | 林上将 请你把你和金上将 |
[47:52] | prepared by you and Admiral King? | 拟好的计划报告一下 |
[47:54] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[47:56] | In our westward drive across the Pacific, | 在我们横越太平洋的西向路线 |
[47:59] | the navy’s consistent goal | 海军一直的目标 |
[48:01] | has been to cut Japan’s line of communication. | 是切断日军的联络通讯线 |
[48:05] | Now, as you know, the central Pacific offensives | 你们都知道 太平洋中部的敌军 |
[48:08] | have taken under control the Gilbert, | 已控制了基尔伯特 |
[48:10] | the Marshall and the Mariana Island groups. | 马歇尔和马利安洛群岛 |
[48:12] | Now, in our view, the sound strategy for early victory | 我们的看法是 要提早获得胜利唯一可行的策略 |
[48:16] | is to occupy the western Pacific and seize Formosa, | 是占领西太平洋地区和抢得台湾 |
[48:20] | both to control the Formosa Strait | 控制台湾和台湾海峡 |
[48:23] | and as a jumping-off point against Japan. | 以作反攻日本的起点 |
[48:26] | Now, this means bypassing the main Philippine island of Luzon | 意思是说先不管吕宋岛 |
[48:32] | until Formosa is secured. | 直到台湾平定之后 |
[48:34] | After General MacArthur’s troops | 在麦克阿瑟将军和他的部队 |
[48:37] | have seized the southern Philippines, | 占领了南菲律宾 |
[48:40] | the access of advance that should get the highest priority | 最优先考虑作为进攻的最近基地 |
[48:43] | is the central Pacific offensive toward Formosa. | 对抗太平洋中部乃是台湾 |
[48:46] | General MacArthur could then move into Luzon | 麦将军接着进攻吕宋 |
[48:49] | and recapture Manila after my forces have taken Formosa. | 重新占领马尼拉 这行动在我的部队占领台湾之后 |
[48:53] | In fact, with the fall of Japan, | 事实上 在日本败退之后 |
[48:57] | the liberation of the northern Philippines, including Manila, | 菲律宾和马尼拉自然重获自由 |
[49:01] | will follow de facto, without any need for force of arms. | 根本不需要动用武力 |
[49:05] | We therefore propose to invade Formosa at the earliest opportunity. | 因此 我提议尽早利用机会入侵台湾 |
[49:10] | And my planners are convinced that a target date of March 1, ’45,is not unreasonable. | 我的智囊团合理推测订1945年3月1日为进攻日 |
[49:20] | Well, Douglas, how does it sound to you? | 道格拉斯 你觉得如何? |
[49:32] | I’m a soldier, and I’ll hold the horse if so ordered. | 我是军人 对命令绝对服从 |
[49:37] | To bypass isolated islands is one thing, | 不过 越过分散的小岛是一回事 |
[49:40] | but to leave in your rear 250,000 Japanese troops | 但在你的背后留下二十五万 |
[49:47] | drawing their sustenance from the Philippines | 能在非岛补给的日军 |
[49:50] | involves serious and unnecessary risks. | 牵涉到很严重而不必要的冒险 |
[49:53] | From Luzon, I can clamp a blockade | 若从吕宋 我可以撒下封锁线 |
[49:56] | on all supplies from the south to Japan, | 切断日本所有从南方的补给 |
[49:59] | thus forcing her to an early capitulation. | 强迫她早日投降 |
[50:02] | Therefore, I propose that we land at Leyte Beach on Luzon, | 因此 我提议在吕宋洛堤滩登陆 |
[50:08] | and then carry the fight to Manila. | 接着攻入马尼拉 |
[50:11] | Given a successful landing, aren’t you afraid | 这样登陆 难道你就不怕陷入 |
[50:13] | of a long and bloody campaign? | 冗长血腥战争 |
[50:16] | With the kind of performance and support provided thus far by the navy, | 海军若提供杰出的支援表现 |
[50:22] | I can be in Manila in five weeks | 我可以在五周内进入马尼拉 |
[50:24] | from the day my troops step ashore on the beaches, | 打从我的部队踏进海岸算起 |
[50:27] | and well before next March. | 在三月底来临前 |
[50:29] | General, how can you say that? | 将军 为何你能如此肯定? |
[50:31] | Because for two years, Filipino guerrillas have been working | 因为两年以来菲律宾游击队一直在日军背后活动 |
[50:34] | behind the Japanese lines to set the stage for our landings. | 为我们的登陆作了准备 |
[50:39] | It’s your position to know, but I can’t conscientiously agree with this estimate. | 这是从你的立场的看法 可是我不能打从心里头赞成你的估量 |
[50:42] | To take Luzon would demand heavier losses than we can stand. | 以超出我们能牺牲的军力去占领吕宋 |
[50:46] | It seems to me we should bypass it. | 我看越过吕宋比较合适 |
[50:48] | In my two years of fighting in the southwest Pacific area, | 经过两年在南太平洋征战 |
[50:50] | and they have been long, hard years, | 虽然难苦漫长 |
[50:52] | fewer Americans have been killed | 但牺牲的美国人数目 |
[50:54] | than in the single battle ofAnzio. | 不及一次在安斯奥之役的损失 |
[50:58] | The days of the frontal attack are over. | 以前线进攻的时期已经过去 |
[51:00] | Only your mediocre commanders use it. | 只要平庸的将领才使用 |
[51:03] | Your good commanders do not turn in heavy losses. | 好的将领不会制造严重伤亡 |
[51:07] | Douglas, Admiral Nimitz’s victories | 道格拉斯 林密上将的胜战记录 |
[51:09] | have been no less than your own. | 不下于你 |
[51:11] | Franklin, all the years we’ve known each other, | 富兰克林 我们认识这么多年来 |
[51:15] | I don’t believe I told you how my father won his Medal of Honor. | 我一直没告诉你我爸爸如何获得他的荣誉勋章 |
[51:20] | No, you never did, but you’re about to do it now, aren’t you? | 没有 你从没说过 不过你现在打算讲出来 对吗? |
[51:24] | it was during the Battle of Missionary Ridge. | 在一次大战的战役中 |
[51:27] | At the height of the fighting, he saw the flag go down. | 在战斗最激烈的当儿 他看见国旗掉了下来 |
[51:30] | As others around him faltered, he seized up the colors, | 周围的人都倒下了 他一把抓起国旗 |
[51:33] | and rallied the troops to victory. | 重振士气获得了胜利 |
[51:37] | Admiral Nimitz is one of our greatest admirals. | 林密上将是我们伟大的海军将领 |
[51:41] | Butjust now, as I listened to the plan, | 但是刚才 当我听过他的计划后 |
[51:45] | I thought I saw our flag going down. | 我看见国旗掉下来 |
[51:48] | Oh, did you? | 真的吗? |
[51:51] | Mr. President, had we the will to do so, | 总统先生 只要我们勇于尝试 |
[51:53] | we could have saved Bataan and Corregidor in the first place. | 我们可以先挽救博丹和柯雷吉多尔 |
[51:57] | To sacrifice Luzon a second time | 再次牺牲吕宋 |
[51:59] | cannot be condoned or forgiven. | 将是罪无可恕 |
[52:01] | My dear General, | 亲爱的将军 |
[52:03] | bypassing Luzon is not synonymous with sacrificing… | 先不管吕宋不是等于牺牲吕宋 |
[52:06] | But bypassing Luzon has implications which stain American honor. | 但不管吕宋有辱美国荣耀 |
[52:11] | Do you realize what the Japanese propagandists are telling | 你知道日本的宣传部 |
[52:14] | the Filipino people? | 对菲律宾人说些什么吗? |
[52:15] | That Americans will never shed their blood | 美国人绝不会为地球上的 |
[52:18] | to save the colored peoples of the Earth. | 有色人种流血 |
[52:20] | Your zeal is understandable. I admire it. | 这是可以理解的 我很欣赏 |
[52:22] | But we can’t let it interfere with a workable Pacific strategy. | 但我们不能让太平洋战略受此影响 |
[52:34] | “I give to the Philippines my solemn pledge | 我给予菲律宾至诚的承诺 |
[52:37] | “that their freedom will be redeemed. | 他们的自由将获救赎 |
[52:40] | “The entire resources of men and material of the United States | 我以全体美国人和资源 |
[52:44] | “stand behind that pledge.” | 作保证 |
[52:47] | Your words, sir. | 这是你说的 总统先生 |
[52:54] | Mr. President, General MacArthur’s points are well taken, | 总统先生 麦克阿瑟将军的论点很正确 |
[52:58] | and I’m sure that the Joint Chiefs | 我肯定总司令部 |
[53:00] | will wish to consider them very carefully. | 会慎重考虑 |
[53:03] | I shall return. | 我将会回去 |
[53:04] | I am going back there next fall if I have to paddle a canoe. | 即使我必须划独木舟前去 我也要在下个秋天回到那边 |
[53:09] | If your decision be to bypass Luzon, with its millions of people, | 如果你决定不管数百万人的吕宋 |
[53:14] | thousands of American prisoners of war, | 让千万美国战俘 |
[53:16] | to continue to languish there in agony and despair, | 继续处于痛苦和绝望的处境 |
[53:22] | I daresay that the American public would be so aroused | 我敢说美国群众将非常愤怒 |
[53:25] | that they would register complete resentment against you at the polls next fall. | 在接着来的秋天大选时会流露对你的厌恶 |
[53:34] | Arthur? Arthur Prettyman. | 阿瑟 阿瑟 |
[53:38] | Get me an aspirin tablet. No, no, make it two. | 给我一粒阿司匹林 不 不 来两粒 |
[53:43] | Nobody can talk me into a headache the way General MacArthur can. | 没有人能像麦克阿瑟将军一样用语言使我头痛 |
[53:47] | Gentlemen, I think it’s time to call a recess. | 各位先生 我想该休息了 |
[53:50] | It’s been a fatiguing day. | 今天使人筋疲力尽 |
[53:52] | Indeed it has, sir. | 确实如此 长官 |
[53:53] | Recess was my favorite time in school. | 在校时最开心的时候是休假的时候 |
[53:56] | It’s getting to be that way in war. | 战时也不例外 |
[54:02] | Douglas. | 道格拉斯 |
[54:04] | Yes, Mr. President? | 什么事?总统先生 |
[54:06] | Why haven’t you come home all these years? | 为什么多年来你都不回家? |
[54:08] | Well, I’ve had my hands full out here. | 我一直抽不出空来 |
[54:13] | The country has evolved, grown mature. | 国家发展比以前成熟 |
[54:18] | Change is inevitable, you know. | 改变是无可避免的 |
[54:22] | The things I value never change. | 我重视的一切不会改变 |
[54:25] | My only regret is that my son has never seen his country. | 我唯一的遗憾是我的儿子从没看过自己的国家 |
[54:29] | He’s never been home. | 他从不曾回过家 |
[54:32] | Where is that for you? | 你的家指的是那里? |
[54:36] | Well, in a sense, the army is home. | 我明白军队就是家 |
[54:40] | Even my swaddling clothes were khaki. | 我的便服也是卡其布作的 |
[54:45] | Mainly I… | 大部分时间 |
[54:48] | I think of West Point as home. | 我把西点军校成家 |
[54:51] | The lecture halls, the football fields where I became a man. | 演讲厅 让我成长的足球场 |
[54:56] | And I… | 我 |
[54:58] | I also see a terrace overlooking Manila Bay. | 还有辽望着马尼拉湾的阳台 |
[55:02] | Yes, the Philippines are also home. | 对 菲律宾也是我的家 |
[55:07] | I appreciate and understand your feelings, Douglas. | 我体会到你的感受 道格拉斯 |
[55:12] | Now, I shall inform the Joint Chiefs of Staff, upon my return home, | 回家后我将通知总司令部 |
[55:16] | that I have had two excellent briefings. | 我有了两分绝佳的报告 |
[55:19] | I’m sure they’ll be both pleased and delighted. | 我肯定他们很乐意去商量 |
[55:22] | And I shall ask them to make their decision promptly. | 我将要求他们从速作出决定 |
[55:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[55:27] | I’d like to return to my command as soon as possible. | 我想越快回到指挥岗位上 |
[55:30] | For 40 years, I’ve held a firm conviction | 四十年来我一直坚信 |
[55:33] | that a commander’s place is at the scene of the battle. | 指挥官的职位应该在战场上 |
[55:36] | I agree with you entirely, Douglas. That is why I am here. | 我非常赞同 这也是我到这里的原因 |
[55:50] | “Southwest Pacific forces to invade Leyte. | 南太平洋军队出战洛堤滩 |
[55:57] | “Target date advanced to 20 October.” | 进攻的日期提前至10月20日 |
[56:02] | Hot damn, we got it. | 上帝 终于等到了 |
[56:04] | This’ll make the old man happy. | 他老人家一定乐不可支 |
[56:06] | He’ll be returning to the Philippines | 他将比预期提早两个月 |
[56:08] | two months earlier than he expected. | 回到菲律宾 |
[56:10] | Sergeant, I want you to get this out immediately, if not sooner, | 上士 我要你马上公告这项指示 |
[56:12] | to all top command headquarters. | 尽快发出给所有总指挥中心 |
[56:53] | Good morning, Captain. Good morning, sir. | 早 上尉 早 长官 |
[56:55] | Good morning, General. | 早 将军 |
[56:56] | Earplugs, sir. | 你的耳塞 |
[56:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[57:00] | Good morning, Mr. President. | 早 总统先生 |
[57:01] | Good morning, General. | 早 将军 |
[57:03] | President Osmena, earplugs for your ears. | 总统先生 你的耳塞 |
[57:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[58:08] | I hope to hell they do as well on the beaches as they did in training. | 我希望在沙滩上他们不使人失望 |
[58:10] | I don’t think you have to worry about that, General. | 别担心 将军 |
[58:13] | I know the 5th Cavalry. | 我很清楚第五装甲步队 |
[58:15] | When I was a little boy, my father was a captain at Fort Selden, | 我小时候 父亲在墨西哥境内的 |
[58:19] | New Mexico territory. | 修顿阵线当上尉 |
[58:22] | Geronimo, the Apache scourge, was on the loose, | 杰罗尼莫 这个阿帕切人的克星 当时身穿破旧的衣服 |
[58:26] | and it was a troop from this same 5th Cavalry that rode through to help us. | 同样的第五骑兵队 策骑越过绝境 |
[58:30] | They fought then. They’ll fight now. | 那时候他们能战 现在也可以 |
[58:34] | And they’ll Win. | 而且会胜利 |
[58:42] | Look at that, Mr. President. | 总统先生 你来看看 |
[58:44] | The second wave is going in upright. | 第二攻击队将要上去了 |
[58:47] | Our intelligence reports said the Japanese wouldn’t let us on the beach. | 我们的情报说日本人不会让我们踏上沙滩 |
[58:50] | But just look at those boys. Nothing will stop them. | 可是你看看那些男孩 没有任何力量可阻止他们 |
[59:30] | Where’s my landing craft? I’m going ashore. | 怎么没人鼓掌 我要上岸去 |
[59:33] | I had it delayed, sir. Heavy enemy mortar fire on the beach. | 我延后了 长官 沙滩上战火正猛烈 |
[59:35] | I felt it was unsafe for the commander in chief… | 我认为对总指挥官来说不够安全 |
[59:37] | The landing craft, Captain. | 登陆艇 上尉 |
[59:39] | Aye, aye, sir. Bring the general’s landing craft. | 遵命 长官 带上将军的登陆艇 |
[1:00:02] | President Osmena, you’re home at last. | 总统先生 终于回家了 |
[1:00:12] | Follow me. | 跟我来 |
[1:00:14] | Correspondents, please stay in the rear | 尽量留在后面 |
[1:00:16] | until after the general makes his statement. | 在将军发表演说前 |
[1:00:17] | No questions… Gerry, where are you going with that? | 不要发问 查维 你带着那东西要去那里? |
[1:00:21] | I’m gonna get a better shot down the beach, sir. | 在沙滩上没有好角度 |
[1:00:23] | I want that camera right where it was. | 我要摄影机在原来的位置 |
[1:00:25] | I wanna see that wreckage in the background. | 在背景要看到袭击后的情形 |
[1:00:27] | The general will think this smoke is marvelous! | 将军会觉得这样拍很了不起 |
[1:00:31] | Get back! Correspondents, back! | 退后 尽量后退 |
[1:00:33] | Low angle, remember. | 用低角度 记住 |
[1:00:42] | Stay. | 保持住 |
[1:00:50] | You see, General, my people are going to laugh if I fell in deep water. | 知道吗?将军 如果我掉进水深处的话人民会大笑 |
[1:00:55] | I cannot swim. | 我不会游泳 |
[1:00:57] | That’s not so bad, Mr. President. | 这不算太坏 总统先生 |
[1:00:59] | Everyone’s about to see that I can’t walk on water. | 每个人将会看到我无法走在水上 |
[1:01:46] | People of the Philippines, | 菲律宾的人民 |
[1:01:51] | I have returned. | 我已经回来了 |
[1:01:54] | By the grace of Almighty God, | 由于上帝的恩典 |
[1:01:58] | our forces stand again | 我们的部队再一次 |
[1:02:01] | on Philippine soil. | 踏上菲律宾的国土上 |
[1:02:05] | The hour of your redemption is here. | 补偿你们的时刻来临了 |
[1:02:09] | Rally to me. | 回响予我激昂士气 |
[1:02:11] | Let the indomitable spirit of Bataan and Corregidor lead on. | 巴坦和柯雷吉多尔永不屈服的精神 |
[1:02:17] | As the lines of battle roll forward, | 征战的行军向前推进 |
[1:02:21] | rise and strike. | 发动攻击 坚持到底 |
[1:02:23] | For your homes and hearths, strike! | 你的家园 你的心也向前推 |
[1:02:28] | For future generations of your sons and daughters, strike! | 为了你下一代的儿女 发动攻击 |
[1:02:35] | In the name of your sacred dead, strike! | 为你的信仰 攻击 |
[1:02:40] | Let no heart be faint. | 让每一个都醒觉 |
[1:02:43] | Let every arm be steel. | 每一双手都如钢铁 |
[1:02:47] | The divine guidance of God points the way. | 接受上帝的指引 |
[1:02:52] | Follow in His name to the Holy Grail of righteous victory. | 跟随着向胜利的神圣征战行列 |
[1:03:06] | Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold it. Hold it. | 慢一些 等一下 |
[1:03:10] | General, sir, you’ve arrived at the front lines. | 将军 你到前线来了 |
[1:03:13] | Well, I see our boys fully 100 yards up ahead. | 我知道 孩子 在前方一百码处 |
[1:03:16] | Sir, that’s only a forward patrol. The men are under enemy fire. | 所以情况难以控制 在敌人炮火之中 |
[1:03:20] | You’d be in extreme hazard if you go on up past this point. | 如果你越过这里 将极之危险 |
[1:03:24] | There’s Japs right up there. | 日本人就在那边 |
[1:03:26] | You can’t fight them if you can’t see them, son. | 如果你看不到他们 你就向他们发起攻击 |
[1:03:28] | Let’s go. | 所以我们走 |
[1:03:36] | I don’t believe it. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen | 我不能相信这是我第一次看到总指挥官 |
[1:03:38] | a commander in chief take the point. | 到前线阵上 |
[1:03:42] | Yeah, he’s the greatest general since Sergeant York. | 对 他是自约克上尉以来最伟大的将军 |
[1:04:03] | Cease fire! Cease fire! | 停火 停火 |
[1:04:07] | Come on. | 来 |
[1:04:10] | Will you look at him? Does he really think that he can’t get hurt? | 你会看着他吗?他以为他不会受伤吗? |
[1:04:12] | God damn it, of course he does. | 该死的 他当然会 |
[1:04:15] | I’ve got a little surprise for the general. | 我有个意外的惊喜给将军 |
[1:04:21] | Morning, gentlemen. | 各位 早 |
[1:04:22] | Good morning, sir. | 早 长官 |
[1:04:25] | Sir, pursuant to an act of Congress, | 长官 据参议院通过的法案 |
[1:04:29] | you have been promoted to the rank of General of the Army. | 你被授与陆军五星上将的军衔 |
[1:04:32] | Such promotion to take effect 18 December, 1944,by order of the president. | 升迁生效日期为1944年12月18日 |
[1:04:37] | Sir, we thought that you should get these on as soon as you can. | 长官 我们一致认为你应该尽快配带上这个 |
[1:04:44] | You got your fifth star, General. | 将军 你得到第五个星了 |
[1:04:46] | Well, I have no objections. I like the look of them. | 我不反对 我喜欢带上它 |
[1:04:51] | Congratulations, sir. | 恭喜 长官 |
[1:04:52] | Thank you, Court. | 谢谢你 考特 |
[1:04:59] | I think it would be a good idea to take that mortar out before someone gets hurt. | 我认为在没有人受伤之前把那机器拿掉是个好主意 |
[1:05:52] | So good to see you, General. | 见到你真好 将军 |
[1:05:53] | Finally returned, but a little late. | 我很高兴回来 不过晚了一点 |
[1:05:54] | May God bless you. | 愿上帝保佑你 |
[1:05:56] | So good to see you. Thank you. | 见到你真好 谢谢 |
[1:05:59] | Get me some more shots of these people. | 再给我拍些这些人的照片 |
[1:06:06] | Hello, sonny. | 孩子 |
[1:06:09] | You know, I’ve got a boy at home just about your size. | 知道吗 我也有个这么大的孩子 |
[1:06:12] | I have. Here we are. | 正因为我也有这么一个孩子 所以我们才有缘相见 |
[1:06:15] | Nice going, General. | 好样的 将军 |
[1:06:17] | Survivors of the death march are in here. | 生还者在里面 |
[1:06:40] | General, you really made it back. | 将军 你真的回来了 |
[1:06:45] | Oh, I’m never gonna forget this. | 我永远不会忘记 |
[1:06:47] | We’re long overdue, sir. Long overdue. | 我来晚了 太晚了 |
[1:06:48] | It’s okay. | 没关系 |
[1:06:49] | We knew you’d come back, sir. | 我们知道你一定会回来 |
[1:06:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:06:51] | We knew you wouldn’t forget us. | 知道你一定不会忘了我们 |
[1:06:53] | We tried. We’re a little late. I’m sorry. | 我们努力过了 但还是来晚了一点 很抱歉 |
[1:06:55] | Colonel Fox here, sir. We’re sure glad to see you, sir. | 我是霍上校 很高兴见到你 |
[1:06:58] | I’m a little late. I’m sorry. | 晚了一点 很抱歉 |
[1:07:00] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[1:07:01] | General? General? | 将军?将军? |
[1:07:04] | General? | 将军? |
[1:07:06] | Thank God. Thank God you’re here. | 感谢上帝你来了 |
[1:07:08] | We’re long overdue. Long overdue. | 我延误太久 太久 |
[1:07:27] | Castro. | 加士图 |
[1:07:28] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[1:07:31] | I’m sorry I’m so unpresentable, sir. | 很对不起 我样子太不体面了 |
[1:07:47] | You never looked so good to me, Castro. | 加士图你从没有像今天那样好看 |
[1:08:11] | Ladies and gentlemen, | 各位先生女士 |
[1:08:13] | if you’ve ever had a load of hay fall on you, | 如果你有一堆稻草掉在身上经验 |
[1:08:15] | then you know how I feel right now. | 你会知道我现在的感受 |
[1:08:17] | I don’t know if any of you pray, but if you do, | 我不知道你会不会祈祷 如果你要祈祷的话 |
[1:08:19] | you could pray God to help me. | 你可以祈求上帝帮助我 |
[1:08:23] | Good luck, Mr. President. | 祝你好运 总统先生 |
[1:08:26] | I wish you didn’t have to call me that. | 我希望你不要这样称呼我 |
[1:08:28] | I never felt so out of place in all my life. | 我从没像现在这样感觉如何不称职 |
[1:08:31] | Here is the caisson of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, | 罗斯福总统出葬的行列 |
[1:08:34] | now making the turn off of 15th Street into Pennsylvania Avenue. | 正由十五街转入宾州大道 |
[1:08:40] | God give me strength to do this. | 上帝赐我力量继续说下去 |
[1:08:44] | And there is the flag-draped coffin. | 棺木以国旗覆盖着 |
[1:08:48] | The horses with black blankets under their saddles. | 所有马匹的马鞍下面均有黑色的布 |
[1:08:53] | The horses on the right side, unmounted. | 马在右边 没有人策骑 |
[1:08:58] | And it’s moving ever so slowly as the crowd stands | 当队伍缓慢移动群众站在两旁 |
[1:09:04] | to pay their last respects | 向他们的 |
[1:09:07] | to the man who was their leader, | 领袖 总司令 和朋友 |
[1:09:09] | their commander in chief, and their friend. | 作最后致敬 |
[1:09:14] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[1:09:16] | Hello, General. | 将军 |
[1:09:18] | We need your authorization. | 我们需要你的批准 |
[1:09:20] | What have you got? | 那是什么? |
[1:09:28] | Well, the president… | 总统 |
[1:09:34] | Mr. Roosevelt never told me. | 总统从没跟我说过 |
[1:09:36] | They never told me. | 从没跟我说过 |
[1:09:40] | We spent months of staff time, | 我们花了无数岁月 |
[1:09:43] | tens of millions of dollars in preparation | 数千万美元 |
[1:09:46] | for the greatest invasion in history, | 为了历史上最伟大的攻击作准备 |
[1:09:48] | and when we’re primed and ready, | 当我们准备妥善 时机成熟 |
[1:09:51] | they send an Air Force officer | 一位空军军官 |
[1:09:53] | to tell me they’ve constructed this apparatus. | 却告诉我制造这东西是疯狂 |
[1:09:58] | General, what happens if it doesn’t work? | 将军 如果这东西不行怎么办? |
[1:10:03] | What happens if it does? | 如果它可以呢? |
[1:10:44] | Yes? | 是吗 |
[1:10:47] | Excuse me, Admiral Halsey, the representatives are all on board, sir. | 对不起 荷西上将 代表们全都登船了 |
[1:10:49] | The British commander of Singapore | 英国在新加坡的指挥官 |
[1:10:51] | has just been released from a prison camp. | 刚获释放 |
[1:10:53] | Percival. Good, good. What about that Russian fellow? | 佩斯华 很好很好 那位俄国守卫呢? |
[1:10:56] | General Derevyanko. He’s here. | 杰列维扬科将军也来了 |
[1:10:59] | What gall. The Soviets declared war after we’d won it, | 苏俄在我们赢了之后才宣战 |
[1:11:02] | and now they wanna horn in on the surrender. | 现在他们却要在投降时大出风头 |
[1:11:04] | There’s someone else here, too, sir. | 还有一个人在这里 长官 |
[1:11:19] | General. | 将军 |
[1:11:33] | Jim. | 吉姆 |
[1:11:36] | General. | 将军 |
[1:11:37] | Jim. | 吉姆 |
[1:11:40] | I’m so glad to see you. | 非常高兴看到你 |
[1:11:51] | General Wainwright, I don’t think you know Admiral Halsey. | 温赖特将军我猜你并不认识荷西上将 |
[1:11:54] | Welcome aboard, sir. | 欢迎登船 将军 |
[1:11:57] | Jonathan, good to see you. | 我是乔纳森 很高兴见到你 |
[1:11:58] | Yes, yes, of course. | 是的 是的 当然 |
[1:12:00] | And Admiral Nimitz. | 林密上将 |
[1:12:01] | General. Admiral. | 将军 上将 |
[1:12:03] | Come and sit down, Jim. | 过来坐下 |
[1:12:06] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[1:12:07] | No, no, don’t talk like that. | 别说了 别这样说 |
[1:12:09] | I’ve disgraced you and the army. | 我令你和军队蒙羞 |
[1:12:11] | You have not. That’s not true. | 你没有 那并非事实 |
[1:12:13] | We were starving. | 我们有罪 |
[1:12:14] | You don’t have to say anything, Jim. | 你不必再说什么 吉姆 |
[1:12:17] | I had to shoot my horse. | 我被迫射杀我的马 |
[1:12:21] | I realize they’ll never restore me to active duty. | 我明白到对历史我没有尽到责任 |
[1:12:24] | That’s not true, Jim. You can have whatever you want. | 那不是真的 吉姆 什么你都能要 |
[1:12:31] | Command of a corps. That’s all I want. | 我只想要再被征召入伍 |
[1:12:37] | Your old corps is yours whenever you’re ready, General. | 随时欢迎 只要你准备好了 |
[1:13:21] | Sid, -Yes, sir? -what did I do with Jean’s pen? | 希德 – 有什么吩咐?- 我把珍的笔放在那里? |
[1:13:25] | Here we go, sir. | 在这里 长官 |
[1:13:43] | We are gathered here, representatives of the major warring powers, | 我们集合一堂 参与战事各国的代表们 |
[1:13:46] | to conclude a solemn agreement whereby peace may be restored. | 一起履订协议 使和平得以恢复 |
[1:13:52] | The issues have been determined upon the battlefields of the world, | 条款在战场上已经决定了 |
[1:13:57] | and hence, are not for our discussion or debate. | 因此在这里我们不需讨论或争议 |
[1:14:02] | The representative of the Emperor of Japan, | 日本天皇的代表 |
[1:14:05] | and of the Japanese Imperial General headquarters, | 以及日本皇军总部 |
[1:14:08] | now sign the instrument of surrender. | 现在签署投降书 |
[1:14:13] | General Sutherland, will you show him where to sign, please? | 苏杜伦将军 请指示签名的位置 |
[1:14:56] | The supreme commander of the Allied powers | 盟军的最高总司令 现在 |
[1:14:59] | will now sign on behalf of all the nations at war with Japan. | 代表所有与日本作战的国家签名 |
[1:15:14] | Will Generals Percival and Wainwright come forward, please? | 请佩斯华将军和温赖特将军上前 |
[1:16:10] | The representative of the United States of America will now sign. | 现在由美国的代表签名 |
[1:16:18] | The representative of the Republic of China will now sign. | 现在由中华民国的代表签名 |
[1:16:21] | The representative of the United Kingdom will now sign. | 现在由英联邦帝国的代表签名 |
[1:16:25] | The representative of Canada will now sign. | 现在由加拿大的代表签名 |
[1:16:27] | The representative of France… | 法国的代表 |
[1:16:29] | The representative of Australia will now sign. | 澳洲的代表签名 |
[1:16:33] | The representative of the Netherlands will now sign. | 荷兰的代表签名 |
[1:16:34] | The representative of New Zealand will now sign. | 纽西兰代表签名 |
[1:16:37] | The representative of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics | 苏维挨联合共和国代表 |
[1:16:40] | will now sign. | 签名 |
[1:16:44] | Today, | 今天 |
[1:16:47] | the guns are silent. | 枪声静止 |
[1:16:49] | A great tragedy has ended. | 悲剧结束 |
[1:16:52] | I speak for the thousands of silent lips forever stilled | 我为那些在这之前牺牲的人祈祷 |
[1:16:57] | among the jungles and the beaches | 他们永埋在森林海滩 |
[1:16:59] | and in the deep waters of the Pacific which marked the way. | 和太平洋的深海之中 |
[1:17:05] | I pray that an omnipotent providence | 我祈求万能的上帝 |
[1:17:09] | will summon all persons of goodwill | 使有良知的人 |
[1:17:11] | to the realization of the utter futility of war. | 领悟到战争的全无意义 |
[1:17:16] | We have known the bitterness of defeat, | 我们已尝过战败的苦楚 |
[1:17:21] | the exultation of triumph, and from both we have learned | 胜利的兴奋 两者使我们认识到 |
[1:17:25] | that there can be no turning back. | 我们不能倒退 |
[1:17:28] | We must go forward to preserve in peace | 我们必须向前 在和平中保护 |
[1:17:32] | what we won in war. | 我们从战争中赢得的东西 |
[1:17:34] | The destructiveness of the war potential | 战争潜伏的毁灭性 |
[1:17:37] | through progressive advances in scientific discovery | 以及科学的突飞猛进 |
[1:17:40] | has, in fact, now reached a point | 事实上已到达了一转折点 |
[1:17:43] | which revises the traditional concept of war. | 使传统战争的观念彻底改变 |
[1:17:49] | War, | 战争 |
[1:17:51] | the most malignant scourge | 最恶毒的事 |
[1:17:55] | and greatest sin of mankind, | 人类最大的罪恶 |
[1:17:57] | can no longer be controlled, only abolished. | 已不再受控制 只能废除 |
[1:18:06] | We are in a new era. | 我们进入新纪元 |
[1:18:10] | If we do not devise some greater and more equitable means | 如果我们不设想更有合理方法 |
[1:18:15] | of settling disputes between nations, | 去解决国与国之间的争端 |
[1:18:19] | Armageddon will be at our door. | 丧钟敲起的时候将近了 |
[1:18:25] | We have had our last chance. | 我们已失去最后的机会 |
[1:18:46] | Court, I want you to tell Washington that I’m transferring food | 考特 我要你告诉华盛顿当局我正运输食物 |
[1:18:49] | and medical supplies to the Japanese authorities. | 和药品给日本当局 |
[1:18:52] | Yes, sir. | 遵命 长官 |
[1:18:53] | The next priority is to get those men home, | 接下来的首要事情是把日本人接回家 |
[1:18:56] | get them to work rebuilding this country. | 使他们工作 重建这个国家 |
[1:18:58] | I don’t know. In terms of communication, transport, industrial plant, | 我不知道 通讯网交通和工业区都瓦解了 |
[1:19:02] | there isn’t any country. | 没有任何国家 |
[1:19:03] | Yeah, well, they’ll have to build a new one. | 那我建立一个新的 |
[1:19:06] | A new Japan with new ideas, but preserving the best of the old. | 新观念的新日本 但保存传统的优点 |
[1:19:11] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[1:19:13] | All of our troops will be judged by me | 所有的部下 我将以他们作为 |
[1:19:15] | for their conduct as men and as soldiers. | 一个人和一个军人的表现来判断 |
[1:19:18] | I want them to understand that the Japanese | 我要让他们明白我们要 |
[1:19:20] | must be treated with courtesy and respect. | 礼遇和尊重所有日本人 |
[1:19:24] | Alexander, Caesar, Napoleon all failed | 亚历山大 凯撒大帝 拿破伦 |
[1:19:28] | as occupiers of conquered countries | 都设法成功统治占领的国家 |
[1:19:30] | because of the harshness of their policies. | 因为他们的施政苛刻 |
[1:19:34] | I do not intend to fail. | 我没有意思要失败 |
[1:19:36] | We’re coming up on the palace now. | 我们到皇宫了 |
[1:19:39] | I wonder whether it wouldn’t be a good idea to summon the emperor | 我想请天皇来跟你面会 |
[1:19:42] | to explain your policies. | 解释你的政策 该是很好的主意 |
[1:19:44] | Show of authority to the Japanese people. | 表达帮助日本的决心 |
[1:19:45] | No. No. | 不 不 |
[1:19:47] | After a lifetime of studying the Oriental mind, | 经过一生对东方思想的学习 |
[1:19:50] | I can tell you that I must not directly | 我绝不能直接 |
[1:19:53] | challenge the authority of the emperor. | 向天皇的权力挑战 |
[1:19:56] | He lives there in that palace across that moat, half god, half king. | 他住在那皇宫中 隔着濠沟 是一半神一半皇帝 |
[1:20:01] | His decrees limit the degree of each man’s freedom. | 他创造界限 赐予人民自由 |
[1:20:04] | His word is absolute. | 他的话是圣旨 |
[1:20:07] | The time will come when Hirohito, of his own volition, | 终有一天 裕仁天皇会 |
[1:20:10] | will cross that moat and come to me, | 越过濠沟与我会面 |
[1:20:13] | and that will mark the beginning | 这也标志着 |
[1:20:14] | of the end of his absolute power over the Japanese people. | 他对日本人民绝对权力的结束 |
[1:20:40] | Good morning, sir. Good morning, Court. | 早安 长官 早安 |
[1:20:42] | Morning, gentlemen. I’ve been going over these additional suggestions | 早安 先生 我翻阅这批国家 |
[1:20:46] | from the State Department on the occupation. | 对占领区的额外建议书 |
[1:20:48] | I have to work them in with our own task force recommendations. | 我一定要先尽我们的能力再要求辅助 |
[1:20:52] | General Marquat, what’s happening with land reform? | 马杰将军 土地改革进行如何? |
[1:20:55] | The landowners are having difficulty with their tenant farmers. | 地主和佃农之间有了困难 |
[1:20:57] | Oh, they are? | 噢 他们是? |
[1:20:58] | Well, I don’t wanna ever hear the word “tenant farmer” again. | 我不想再听到 “佃农” 这个词 |
[1:21:02] | I want these privileged landowners stripped of their holdings. | 我要这些有特权的地主放弃他们的所有权 |
[1:21:05] | We’ll break up these great estates. | 打破界限 |
[1:21:07] | Yes, sir, but… | 是的 长官 但是 |
[1:21:08] | They’ve been squeezing the farmers dry far too long. | 他们压榨农民已经太久了 |
[1:21:12] | But, sir, they’re very strong. Are they strong, sir. | 但是 长官 他们有势力﹒﹒﹒ |
[1:21:15] | They may not be as strong as they think. | 没有如想像中那么有力吧 |
[1:21:17] | And the right-wing industrialists, | 右翼工业家 |
[1:21:19] | now, they are the fellows who led this country to ruin. | 趋使这国家走向灭亡 |
[1:21:22] | I want them expunged. | 我要他们消失 |
[1:21:24] | Expunged, sir? Don’t you think that you… | 消失 长官 你不认为﹒﹒﹒ |
[1:21:27] | All in the best possible legal language, of course. | 当然要用合法的手段和言辞 |
[1:21:32] | I want to see a labor movement take root. | 我们让劳工活动根植 |
[1:21:35] | Labor movement? | 劳工组织? |
[1:21:36] | That’s right. | 对的 |
[1:21:38] | The workers must have a strong voice in the means of production. | 工人们必须能对生产发表意见 |
[1:21:42] | General, pardon me, but this reminds me somewhat of… | 将军 对不起 这使我想起 |
[1:21:46] | Well, it’s like… | 像是 |
[1:21:47] | Like what? | 像什么? |
[1:21:49] | Like the New Deal. | 像罗斯福的”新政” |
[1:21:53] | Ah. | 啊 |
[1:21:54] | Well, this is Japan, not America. | 这里是日本 不是美国 |
[1:21:57] | But considering her fascist past, | 不过考虑到她过去的法西斯作风 |
[1:21:59] | it might be good to move her just a little left of center, | 让她走向另一边对她或有好处 |
[1:22:02] | don’t you agree? Yes, sir. | 你同意吗?是的 长官 |
[1:22:04] | Of course, we wouldn’t call it the New Deal. | 我们当然不会称之为新政 |
[1:22:06] | No, sir. | 不会 长官 |
[1:22:08] | Now, | 现在 |
[1:22:11] | Japanese women. | 谈日本女人 |
[1:22:12] | What about them? | 她们又如何? |
[1:22:13] | They must be given the vote. | 必须给予她们投票权 |
[1:22:15] | The men are not gonna like that. | 男人不会喜欢吧 |
[1:22:17] | Well, neither did our men at first. | 我们的男人当初也不喜欢 |
[1:22:18] | General, I’m sorry, | 将军 对不起 |
[1:22:20] | but I still think it’s too much to expect | 不过我仍然认为对如日本这样的封建国家 |
[1:22:21] | a feudal country like Japan | 作这些要求太过分 |
[1:22:23] | to swallow a whole new constitution in one gulp. | 一套全新的宪法一口气接受 |
[1:22:26] | Their cabinet will never go for it. | 内阁不会接受的 |
[1:22:28] | The old cabinet wouldn’t, | 旧的内阁也不会接受 |
[1:22:29] | but we’ve yet to hear from the new prime minister. | 我们必须听一下新首相的意见 |
[1:22:32] | And may I congratulate you | 首长先生 我要先恭喜 |
[1:22:34] | on your appointment, Mr. Shidehara. | 你的就职 |
[1:22:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:22:37] | General, I extend to you my gratitude | 你的药物援助使我能有效 |
[1:22:40] | for the penicillin your medical services made available to me. | 获得治疗 对此我表示衷心致谢 |
[1:22:44] | It aided me in recovering from a serious illness. | 让我能从重病中复元 |
[1:22:48] | Happy to be of assistance. | 很高兴能帮助你 |
[1:22:52] | Diseases are conquered, sir, | 疾病很真实 |
[1:22:55] | even very old, epidemic diseases. | 即使是旧的传染病 |
[1:23:00] | Sometimes, though, the cure is slow and painful. | 有时 治理是漫长的且痛苦 |
[1:23:07] | Yes, of course. | 是 当然 |
[1:23:10] | Is there some particular difficulty? | 有没有特别的困难呢? |
[1:23:19] | General, our new constitution must forbid | 我们的新宪法必须禁止 |
[1:23:23] | any military establishment in Japan whatsoever. | 在日本的任何军事建设 |
[1:23:28] | There must not be an army, a navy or an air force. | 不能有陆军 海军或空军 |
[1:23:33] | We must renounce now and forever | 我们现在和未来 |
[1:23:36] | the use of force as an instrument of national power. | 必须禁绝使用武力作为国力的工具 |
[1:23:48] | Mr. Prime Minister, I can only… | 首相先生 我只能够 |
[1:23:50] | Please, hear me out. | 请你听我说完 |
[1:23:54] | In this way, | 这样 |
[1:23:57] | and only this way, | 也只能这样 |
[1:24:00] | can we eliminate forever | 我们才能使 |
[1:24:04] | the power of the militarists. | 军国主义的势力消失于无形 |
[1:24:07] | Only in this way can we reassure the world | 只有这样日本才能使世界信任 |
[1:24:11] | that Japan no longer has warlike design against any people. | 日本再没有与任何人争战的打算 |
[1:24:20] | We are a poor country, with 70 million person to feed and clothe. | 我们的国家很穷 有七千万人需要食物和衣服 |
[1:24:29] | We cannot afford armaments. | 我们负担不起军备 |
[1:24:32] | We cannot afford the trapping of power. | 我们负担不起权势的装饰品 |
[1:24:38] | And never, never again can we suffer | 再也不能j遭受 |
[1:24:41] | Nagasaki and Hiroshima. | 长崎和广岛的痛苦 |
[1:24:46] | Let us renounce war, sir. | 我们只是拒绝战争 先生 |
[1:24:51] | Please, let us renounce war in the new constitution | 请你让我们使用新的宪法拒绝战争 |
[1:24:57] | and forever. | 永远拒绝战争 |
[1:25:01] | Mr. Shidehara, | 首相先生 |
[1:25:05] | no man detests war | 没有人 |
[1:25:10] | more than this soldier. | 会比军人更厌恶战争 |
[1:25:13] | My abhorrence for it reached its height | 原子弹的出现让我的厌恶 |
[1:25:15] | with the development of the atom bomb. | 达到极点 |
[1:25:20] | No man, sir, could be more moved by your offer | 没有人比我更为你的提议感动 |
[1:25:25] | or more determined to accept it. | 我坚决接受 |
[1:25:28] | Well, it’s damned embarrassing. | 真是令人难堪 |
[1:25:31] | I’ve been telling Congress for months | 我已经跟国会说了几个月 |
[1:25:32] | we need 400,000 men in Japan, | 我们需要四十万人手到日本 |
[1:25:34] | and MacArthur holds a press conference, | 而麦克阿瑟却让人难堪万分 |
[1:25:35] | says he can make do with half that number. | 开记者招待会说他只需其中一半 |
[1:25:37] | Now, General, did he clear this with you? No, sir. | 将军 她和你澄清了吗?- 没有 先生 |
[1:25:39] | There’s been some misunderstanding. | 你有点误会了 |
[1:25:40] | Not by me, there isn’t. | 我 我怎会误会 |
[1:25:42] | I invited MacArthur to come home. | 我邀请麦克阿瑟到家中 |
[1:25:43] | I wanted to discuss occupation policy with him, | 我要跟他讨论占领政策 |
[1:25:46] | and I expected him to back up our position | 我祈待他能在国会议员面前 |
[1:25:48] | before the congressional committees. | 支持我的提案 |
[1:25:50] | So I held out the big carrot to him. | 所以我准备了份大礼给他 |
[1:25:51] | I told him we’d set up a series | 我告诉他已经准备好盛大的 |
[1:25:52] | of welcome-home demonstrations | 欢迎仪队 |
[1:25:53] | and a joint session of Congress. | 以及参众两院联席会议 |
[1:25:55] | Well, you know what he replied, Congressman? | 你知道他如何回答? |
[1:25:57] | He said he thought the situation was just too dangerous over there | 他说现在的情况太危险了 |
[1:25:59] | for him to come home right now. | 不方便回家 |
[1:26:00] | Said he was too busy. | 因他太忙了 |
[1:26:01] | That’s what he said to the President of the United States. Damn it! | 这是他对美国总统的回话 该死的 |
[1:26:06] | General Derevyanko, I must say I’ve missed you. | 杰列维扬科将军 我必须说 我会想念你 |
[1:26:12] | Only short visit to Moscow. A meeting with my superiors, | 只是回莫斯科一阵子 见我的上司 |
[1:26:16] | a holiday on Caspian Sea with family. | 回家渡假而已 |
[1:26:18] | Good, good. I was afraid that Stalin had had you shot. | 好 我很怕斯大林会枪决你 |
[1:26:22] | No,no,no,no. Why do you say that? | 不 不 为什么你这样说? |
[1:26:25] | Would Truman have you shot? | 杜鲁门会枪决你吗? |
[1:26:27] | Sometimes I wonder. | 有时我在想 |
[1:26:31] | Now, General, it’s come to my attention | 将军 我知道有 |
[1:26:33] | that several hundreds of thousands | 成千上万的 |
[1:26:35] | of Japanese prisoners fell into your hands | 日本战俘在战争结束时 |
[1:26:37] | in the closing days of the war. | 交到你手上 |
[1:26:39] | You understand that the Japanese authorities, | 你明白日本政府 |
[1:26:41] | and my own superiors as well, are pressing me for an accounting. | 和我的上级催促我尽早处理 |
[1:26:47] | We have some small numbers of enemy troops in our hands, that is true, | 我们手上有少数的日本部队 那是事实 |
[1:26:51] | but I can assure you that, in this matter, as you know, | 你知道 在这件事 我可以向你保证 |
[1:26:55] | my government will abide by the decisions of the Potsdam Conference. | 我国政府将遵守波茨坦会议的决定 |
[1:26:58] | Yes, yes, yes. When will they be repatriated? | 对 什么时候可以释回呢? |
[1:27:02] | Soon. In that connection, my government is making plans | 快了 我的政府正为此进行计划 |
[1:27:06] | for the occupation of Hokkaido Island. | 为了北海道岛的占领 |
[1:27:10] | Hokkaido Island is occupied. It is under my command. | 北海道已被占领且在我指挥之下 |
[1:27:15] | The Soviet Union is a coequal ally. | 苏联是盟军的一分子 |
[1:27:18] | It is my government’s intention | 我的政府有意 |
[1:27:20] | to occupy Hokkaido on its own behalf. | 占领北海道 |
[1:27:25] | As the supreme commander, I represent all Allied powers. | 身为最高统帅 我代表盟军所有国家 |
[1:27:31] | We are fully prepared to commence our rightful occupation | 我们已准备好开始合理占领北海道 |
[1:27:35] | whether you approve or not. | 不管你赞同与否 |
[1:27:38] | You see, the terms of my command are absolute. | 只要我仍然在指挥岗位上 |
[1:27:42] | This is not Germany. | 这里不是德国 |
[1:27:43] | I will not countenance separate spheres of influence or occupation | 只要我还是最高统帅 我就不会让让它分裂 |
[1:27:49] | of the home islands of Japan as long as I’m in command. | 或者占领日本全国 |
[1:27:53] | Well, then, sir, my government | 那样我的政府 |
[1:27:57] | will insist upon a new supreme commander. | 会坚持换一位新统帅 |
[1:28:01] | If the day comes when Soviet troops | 如果苏联军队 |
[1:28:04] | attempt to land on Japanese soil without my expressed consent, | 未得我的同意踏上日本国土 |
[1:28:10] | I will throw the entire Soviet delegation in Tokyo into jail. | 我会把所有在东京的苏联代表送入牢中 |
[1:28:16] | Including you, General Derevyanko. | 包括你 杰列维扬科将军 |
[1:28:23] | I believe you would. | 我相信你会的 |
[1:28:25] | And I believe this is where you get off. | 而我相信这是你下车的地方 |
[1:28:38] | As the historic changes continue to transform Japanese life, | 历史的改变继续改革日本的生活 |
[1:28:42] | it was becoming evident this week that the women of Japan | 这星期尤为明显 日本的女人 |
[1:28:45] | were winning their fight to end family contract marriages, | 节节得胜 结束家族婚姻合约 |
[1:28:49] | the right to equal cigarette and sake rations, | 争取烟酒配给权 |
[1:28:52] | and the right to vote. | 和投票权 |
[1:28:55] | Dress fashions are not the only thing that have changed radically. | 不只是流行服饰有重大变革 |
[1:28:59] | In the newly established election, 13 million women went to the polls, | 在新建立的选举制度中 一千三百万妇女前往投票所 |
[1:29:03] | and in an unprecedented sweep, elected 38 women lawmakers | 前无古人 选出三十八位议会的 |
[1:29:08] | to the House of Representatives. | 女性立法委员 |
[1:29:10] | I regret to say something terrible has happened. | 我要报告一件很不幸的事发生了 |
[1:29:13] | A prostitute, Your Excellency, | 阁下 一位妓女 |
[1:29:15] | has been elected to House of Representative. | 被选入国会 |
[1:29:19] | Prostitute? Well, how many votes did she receive? | 妓女?她得到多少张票呢? |
[1:29:24] | 256000 256 000. | |
[1:29:29] | She must have an unusually loyal clientele. | 她一定有特别多的爱国顾客 |
[1:29:34] | Now, after two and a half years of painstaking work, | 今天 经过了两年半痛苦折磨 |
[1:29:37] | the war crimes trial in Tokyo comes to an end. | 在东京的军事审判战犯结束 |
[1:29:40] | As America prepares for another presidential election year, | 当美国正准备下一任总统大选 |
[1:29:44] | Japan celebrates 1948 | 日本在1948 |
[1:29:46] | with the first anniversary of its new constitution. | 庆祝立宪一周年 |
[1:29:50] | Mmm. Not these. | 不要这些 |
[1:29:55] | I think this one’s the best. | 我想这一张最好 |
[1:29:57] | I thought you might like that one. | 我也猜到你会喜欢那一张 |
[1:30:03] | That’s fine. | 很好 |
[1:30:04] | Court, what time is it in Wisconsin? | 考特 现在在威斯康新是几点钟? |
[1:30:07] | Oh, heck, I can never figure out… | 我不知道 |
[1:30:09] | Polls closed an hour ago. | 一小时前有票结束了 |
[1:30:10] | I wish I had been there. | 但愿当时我在 |
[1:30:12] | I would have had one of these on every lamppost for you. | 把这个贴在每一根电线杆上 |
[1:30:14] | No, you don’t, Vic. No electioneering | 不 你不会做到 在候选人住处五十尺内 |
[1:30:16] | within 50 feet of the candidate. | 不准有政见发表会 |
[1:30:18] | Why, General, you’re not a candidate. | 将军 你又不是候选人 |
[1:30:20] | Just another available citizen. | 只是另一个市民罢了 |
[1:30:23] | Excuse me, General, but I’m from Wisconsin, | 对不起 将军 我从威斯康新来 |
[1:30:25] | and my folks are voting for you. | 我的家人会投你一票 |
[1:30:27] | Matter of fact, I would be, too, only I’m not old enough. | 事实上 我也会为你投票 只可惜我还没到投票年龄 |
[1:30:30] | Well, thank you, son. | 谢谢 孩子 |
[1:30:32] | All the precincts? | 所有的选区都是这样吗? |
[1:30:36] | This just came in on the wire. | 刚打来的电报 |
[1:30:45] | You only won eight delegates. | 你只得到八个代表支持 |
[1:30:54] | Eight delegates out of 27. | 二十七个中的八个 |
[1:31:00] | It’s their loss, General. You would have made a great president. | 是他们损失 将军 你会是个伟大总统 |
[1:31:05] | Well, what’s on the calendar for today? | 今天是什么日子? |
[1:31:11] | Here’s to four more years, Mr. President! | 庆祝四年连任 总统先生 |
[1:31:14] | Hear! Hear! | 听 听 |
[1:31:16] | Happy days are here again | 幸福的日子又来了 |
[1:31:18] | The skies above are clear again | 头顶上天空又变得晴朗 |
[1:31:21] | So let’s sing a song of cheer again | 让我们再唱一首开心的歌 |
[1:31:25] | Happy days are here again | 幸福的日子又来啦 |
[1:31:28] | All together shout it now | 现在一起欢呼吧 |
[1:31:32] | There’s no one who can doubt it now | 没有人再怀疑了 |
[1:31:35] | So let’s tell the world about it now | 让我们告诉全世界 |
[1:31:43] | Roaring their approval here in the 1949 Tokyo World Series. | 1949年东京大事报导 |
[1:31:47] | The Giants are the heavy favorites this year. | 巨人队今年最受欢迎 |
[1:31:50] | Meanwhile, as the Japanese economy | 与此同时 日本经济 |
[1:31:52] | continued its painful but steady recovery, | 正继续痛苦地稳定成长 |
[1:31:54] | the mood of the nation began to reflect the growing cultural change. | 国家的气势开始反应文化变迁 |
[1:32:27] | Yes? | 请讲 |
[1:32:29] | General, I’m sorry to disturb you at this late hour. | 将军 很抱歉这么晚打扰你 |
[1:32:32] | We have a dispatch from South Korea. | 我们接获从南韩来的急电 |
[1:32:34] | The North Koreans have struck in great strength | 北韩在38线 |
[1:32:36] | across the boundary at the 38th parallel. | 发动猛烈攻击 |
[1:32:40] | In great strength? | 发动猛烈攻击? |
[1:32:41] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[1:32:45] | Assemble the staff. I’ll be there presently. | 集合部下 我马上赶到 |
[1:32:54] | Why, General, what’s happened? | 为什么 将军 发生什么事? |
[1:33:02] | One last gift to an old warrior. | 给老战士的最后礼物 |
[1:33:10] | My fellow Americans, | 美国同胞 |
[1:33:11] | tonight we face a serious situation. | 今晚我们面对严重情势 |
[1:33:14] | On the advice of the best military minds I could muster, | 参照最好的军事参谋给我的建议 |
[1:33:16] | I have decided to commit United States ground forces to the Korean peninsula. | 我决定派军队前往南韩 |
[1:33:22] | We are not at war. | 我们不是参战 |
[1:33:24] | Acting in concert with our United Nations allies, | 只是跟联合国的盟友作一致行动 |
[1:33:27] | we are engaged in a police action | 参与一项警务行动 |
[1:33:28] | to counteract a bandit raid into South Korea | 对抗 禁止北韩共党 |
[1:33:30] | by North Korean Communists. | 入侵南韩 |
[1:34:10] | Would you like to use my binoculars, sir? | 要我拿一副望远镜给你吗? |
[1:34:12] | No, thank you. | 不需要 谢谢 |
[1:34:14] | I’ve seen all I have to see. | 我已看到我需要看的 |
[1:34:18] | General, what happens next, sir? | 将军 接下来会发生什么? |
[1:34:20] | My father was asked that same question | 我父亲陷于内战时也被问及 |
[1:34:23] | when he found himself surrounded in the Civil War. | 相同的问题 |
[1:34:26] | He said, “The situation is simple and apparent. | 他说 形势很简单明了 |
[1:34:30] | “The enemy is closing on me from three sides, | 敌人三面进迫 |
[1:34:33] | “and my plan is to fight like hell.” | 我的计划是死拼 |
[1:34:36] | Now with the threat of annihilation temporarily forestalled, | 目前侵犯的危机暂时压制着 |
[1:34:39] | MacArthur pays a worried visit to Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, | 麦克阿瑟到台湾会见蒋介石 |
[1:34:43] | leader of the Nationalist Chinese on Formosa. | 蒋介石是台湾的国民党主席 |
[1:34:48] | Son of a bitch, that’s a goose step they’re doing. | 狗娘养的 他们在踢正步 |
[1:34:51] | Here it is felt the foundation is being constructed | 在这当儿中美合作关系 |
[1:34:53] | for Sino-American military cooperation. | 立下基础 |
[1:34:56] | Damn it! Didn’t we send MacArthur | 该死 我们要麦克阿瑟 |
[1:34:58] | to Formosa to do just the opposite? | 前去台湾 目标刚好相反 |
[1:35:00] | Call off Chiang and tell him he couldn’t send his troops into mainland China | 解除联系 告诉他们不能派军队到大陆 |
[1:35:03] | or anywhere else? | 或任何地方 |
[1:35:04] | We didn’t send him over there to forge his own personal alliances. | 并非要他到那里建立私交 |
[1:35:06] | Hell, that sounds like we’re concluding | 让人误会我们订下 |
[1:35:08] | some kind of mutual defense treaty. | 防御协约 |
[1:35:11] | Mr. Secretary, I want you to radio a message to His Majesty MacArthur. | 秘书先生替我发电讯给麦克阿瑟 |
[1:35:16] | What’s the matter with them back there? Have they lost their nerve? | 他们怎么回事儿?国内的人发神经了吗? |
[1:35:21] | I know all about Chiang. | 我对蒋介石了如指掌 |
[1:35:22] | If he had two horns and a tail, | 如果他有两个角和尾巴 |
[1:35:24] | we should use him as long as he’s anticommunist. | 只要他反共我们就可以用他 |
[1:35:28] | We can reform him later. | 我们可以稍后再改造他 |
[1:35:33] | It’s my destiny to defeat Communism, | 我的目标是打败共产党 |
[1:35:35] | and only God or those Washington politicians | 只有上帝及华盛顿的政治家 |
[1:35:38] | will keep me from doing it. | 能阻止我这样作 |
[1:35:40] | You didn’t read this one, did you? | 你没有看这个 对不对? |
[1:35:42] | It’s a letter to the Veterans of Foreign Wars. | 这是一封写给外国战争退伍军人的信 |
[1:35:45] | “Nothing could be more fallacious than the threadbare argument | 没有比倡导在太平洋施行安抚政策和失败主义 |
[1:35:48] | “by those who advocate appeasement and defeatism in the Pacific | 如此具威胁性的论据更恶毒 |
[1:35:51] | “that if we defend Formosa, we alienate continental Asia.” | 如果我们防卫台湾是疏远盟友 |
[1:35:56] | Signed, Douglas MacArthur. | 道格拉斯麦克阿瑟签署 |
[1:35:58] | You hear that? “Appeasement, defeatism.” -That’s me he’s talking about. | 听到吗?安抚政策和失败主义 – 他说的是我 |
[1:36:01] | Alvin, can you explain why he’s done this? | 艾文 你可以解释他为何这样作吗? |
[1:36:03] | No, Mr. President, I’m afraid I can’t. | 总统先生 恐怕我不能解释 |
[1:36:05] | Well, did any of you know in advance | 没有人预先知道 |
[1:36:07] | this letter was gonna be printed? | 会刊出这封信吗 |
[1:36:11] | I want it withdrawn right now. | 我要马上抽出 |
[1:36:31] | Good morning, General. | 早安 将军 |
[1:36:32] | Whitney. | 维尼 |
[1:36:34] | I haven’t seen that pipe in a long time. | 我很久没看到那烟斗了 |
[1:36:37] | In looking over your positions this morning, General Walker, | 我今早检阅过你的位置 霍加将军 |
[1:36:40] | I saw that plans are afoot to conduct retrograde movements | 我看到这些计划引导是要实施 |
[1:36:44] | and abandon the perimeter. | 一项放弃作战范围的行动 |
[1:36:45] | Effective immediately, | 这些计划 |
[1:36:47] | these plans will be scrapped. The present line will be held. | 必须马上取消 维持目前的阵线 |
[1:36:50] | We don’t have any perimeters, General. | 我们并没有什么范围呢 将军 |
[1:36:52] | Just a few scattered strong points. | 只有一些重点 |
[1:36:54] | As soon as I put out one fire, another two get started. | 当一处炮火平息 另外两处马上开始 |
[1:36:57] | I know that you’re outnumbered in this thing, | 我知道 你的人手不够 |
[1:36:59] | but sending you more troops | 若只派更多部队给你 |
[1:37:01] | so you can hang on to this little corner of Korea | 让你在这韩国的一小角落多支持一会儿 |
[1:37:04] | is not good enough. | 并不够 |
[1:37:06] | Well, I’ll settle for a regimental combat team. | 我能有一团战斗队伍就够了 |
[1:37:09] | Can’t do it, Walt. We need every man we’ve got. | 这样不行 我们要善用人手 |
[1:37:13] | General Shepherd is putting together | 谢弗迪将军 集中火力 |
[1:37:16] | an overwhelming amphibious assault on lnchon. | 给予仁川致命一击 |
[1:37:19] | Inchon? | 仁川? |
[1:37:20] | One stroke, it’ll cut across the enemy’s rear, | 一次攻击将可切断敌人背后 |
[1:37:24] | sever his supply lines, and isolate all of his forces south of Seoul. | 分割他们的补给线 隔离南部的所有军力 |
[1:37:28] | Without munitions, supplies, communications, | 失去军火电讯补给 |
[1:37:30] | the North Koreans will be paralyzed. | 北韩将瓦解 |
[1:37:33] | Inchon is the worst… | 仁川是最糟的﹒﹒﹒﹒ |
[1:37:34] | Then you can break out of that corner, move north and overpower them. | 你就可以突破那个角落 长驱直入北方 |
[1:37:38] | I think that lnchon will finish the North Koreans. | 我相信仁川可让北韩完蛋 |
[1:37:44] | What? | 什么? |
[1:37:46] | It’ll never be approved. | 这永远不会被允许的 |
[1:37:48] | lnchon has some of the highest tides in the world, | 仁川有世界上最高的潮汐 |
[1:37:50] | but only once a month do they reach a height sufficient | 但每月只有一次潮水高度达到 |
[1:37:54] | for our largest landing craft to go in. | 足让最大的运输船进入 |
[1:37:56] | There are maybe two three-hour periods | 可能有两三小时间隔 |
[1:37:58] | when MacArthur can put troops ashore. | 让麦克阿瑟率部队上岸 |
[1:38:01] | Which is not enough time for a major amphibious landing. | 要使庞大的两栖部队登陆 时间可能不足够 |
[1:38:04] | Exactly. This is little more than a trench in the mud flats. | 正确 这其中困难重重 |
[1:38:07] | If every possible handicap were listed, lnchon has them all. | 仁川拥有一切不利的条件 |
[1:38:11] | However, gentlemen, MacArthur claims | 可是麦克阿瑟宣称 |
[1:38:13] | that these very handicaps are what he’s counting on. | 这点正好可以帮助他 |
[1:38:16] | He feels that the enemy won’t believe that anyone | 他感觉敌人绝料不到任何人 |
[1:38:18] | would try to surmount such obstacles. | 能克服那种困难 |
[1:38:21] | The element of surprise will be his most valuable ally. | 使人防不胜防是他最有价值盟友 |
[1:38:26] | What do you think of His Majesty’s plan? | 你对这计划的感想如何? |
[1:38:29] | It’s daring, it’s brilliant, and it’s dangerous. | 很大胆 很令人激赏也很危险 |
[1:39:00] | Court, you remember I once said, | 考特 你记得我曾说过 |
[1:39:04] | “The bullet has not yet been cast with my name on it?” | 子弹并没有铸上我的名字 |
[1:39:08] | I certainly do. | 我当然会这么做 |
[1:39:11] | Inchon could be that bullet. | 仁川就是那个子弹 |
[1:39:16] | There’s 70,000 men out there waiting to hit lnchon. | 那里7士兵战士准备攻入仁川 |
[1:39:24] | As of this moment, the president has not | 但到这一刻 总统 |
[1:39:26] | personally approved this mission. | 私下仍不赞同 |
[1:39:29] | The last communication I had from the Joint Chiefs | 总指挥给我最后的消息是 |
[1:39:32] | said that he’d been “informed.” | 已通知总统 |
[1:39:38] | He vacillated, delayed. | 他由犹豫不定 已经太晚了 |
[1:39:42] | Finally gave begrudging permission to proceed here. | 最终很勉强的答应着手进行 |
[1:39:55] | Powerful enemies, Court. | 很强的敌人 考特 |
[1:39:59] | Who advised Truman that I was insubordinate | 当我探访蒋介石时 |
[1:40:01] | when I visited Chiang Kai-shek? | 是谁向杜鲁门打小报告说我没有服从命令 |
[1:40:03] | Who persuaded him to force me to withdraw my letters | 谁劝他强迫我收回 |
[1:40:08] | to the Veterans of Foreign Wars? | 给外国战争退伍军人的信 |
[1:40:09] | Who are those who seek to humiliate me and undermine my authority? | 是谁想让我丢脸 削弱我的权威 |
[1:40:15] | The Communists and their fellow travelers | 共产主义者 |
[1:40:18] | in the British Foreign Office. | 及他们在英国外交部的同伙 |
[1:40:22] | If lnchon fails, they will have a jubilee. | 如果仁川战事失利 他们可以大大庆祝了 |
[1:40:27] | The Joint Chiefs of Staff approved this invasion | 总指挥赞同这次入侵 |
[1:40:29] | because your arguments were valid. | 乃因你的论点正确 |
[1:40:31] | Yes, they were valid, | 对 是很正确 |
[1:40:34] | but if the enemy is ready with a superior force, | 但是敌人已部署好更强的军力 |
[1:40:38] | we will not be able to disengage | 我们若要切断他们的补给 |
[1:40:41] | without suffering enormous losses. | 必须忍受庞大的损失了 |
[1:40:49] | We could lose this entire fleet. | 我们可能损失整个舰队 |
[1:40:53] | This date could be marked as one of the greatest military tragedies | 这将是美国军史上 |
[1:40:58] | in American history. | 最惨痛的悲剧 |
[1:40:59] | General, I don’t think for one… | 将军 我不认为﹒﹒﹒ |
[1:41:00] | Are you surprised, Court? | 你很意外 考特? |
[1:41:03] | I’m sharing my doubts with you after all these years. | 过了那么多年 我和你一起存疑 |
[1:41:09] | Did you think I was invulnerable? | 你认为我真的是所向无敌吗? |
[1:41:13] | It just came in. We’ve got Wolmido Island. | 消息刚传来 我们占月尾岛 |
[1:41:17] | What? | 什么? |
[1:41:18] | Wolmido is ours. | 月尾岛是我们的了 |
[1:41:19] | It took my boys 58 minutes. | 花了我的部下58分钟 |
[1:41:26] | Good work, General Shepherd. Good work. | 干得好 谢弗迪将军 |
[1:41:32] | I’ll be the first to admit it. | 我必须承认 你作得太棒了 |
[1:41:34] | He did a hell of a job, and here’s to him. | 他干得不错 这是给他的 |
[1:41:36] | Hear, hear. | 听 听 |
[1:41:41] | What’s the matter, Alvin? Don’t you like the taste of victory? | 你怎么了?艾文 不喜欢胜利的滋味吗? |
[1:41:44] | Bourbon’ s not bad, either. | 并不算太坏 |
[1:41:46] | Yes, lnchon is a masterstroke. | 仁川是致命一击 |
[1:41:48] | Damn right it is. Now that’s what I call “generalling.” | 一点不错 我也这样说 |
[1:41:50] | I’ve heard that the North Koreans | 北韩人 |
[1:41:52] | have turned tail and are running for home. Lickety toot. | 必定脸色发白 拔腿就逃 |
[1:41:54] | It’s not the North Koreans I’m worried about. | 我担心的不是北韩人 |
[1:41:56] | Mr. Panika, the Indian ambassador to Peking, | 印度驻北平大使潘尼卡先生 |
[1:41:58] | informs us that any American troops above the 38th parallel | 通知我们美军若越过38线 |
[1:42:01] | will provoke an intervention by the Chinese. | 中国将派兵干预 |
[1:42:03] | Yesterday, we monitored this very same warning over Radio Peking. | 昨天从北京电台也听到此警告 |
[1:42:07] | Yeah, well, we’ve heard that sort of thing before, haven’t we? | 以前我们也听过 不是吗? |
[1:42:10] | Now, how serious are they? | 他们是否认真呢? |
[1:42:11] | Frankly, we don’t know. | 事实是我们不知道 |
[1:42:14] | Well, what’s MacArthur say about it? He’s not worried. | 麦克阿瑟怎么说?他不担心 |
[1:42:16] | He’s calling it political blackmail. | 说只是政治恐吓 |
[1:42:17] | Well, he’s probably right. | 很可能他是对的 |
[1:42:19] | Mr. President, let’s watch our step. | 总统先生 我们要谨慎行事 |
[1:42:20] | If we expand the war in Korea to include Red China, | 如果我们扩大战事卷进红色中国 |
[1:42:23] | we’re up against the Soviets, A-bomb and all. | 就是跟苏俄作对 还有他们的原子弹 |
[1:42:32] | Alvin, you go on ahead to Wake Island. Make the usual preparations. | 艾文 你到威克岛作惯常的准备 |
[1:42:38] | I think it’s time I had a talk with General MacArthur. | 我跟麦克阿瑟谈话的时候到了 |
[1:42:41] | I never met the man. | 我从没看过他 |
[1:42:43] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[1:42:50] | Wake Island, Mr. President. | 威克岛到了 总统先生 |
[1:42:54] | By golly, that was quick. | 天哪 那么快 |
[1:42:56] | How about one of you fellas radio on ahead? | 你们当中一人用无线电联络 |
[1:42:59] | See if the big general’s there. | 问大将军在不在 |
[1:43:01] | The president should be greeted. He shouldn’t be the greeter. | 总统应该被候驾而非候驾别人 |
[1:43:12] | I don’t see him, Mr. President. | 我没有看到他 总统先生 |
[1:43:16] | They probably had a little trouble | 大概他途中 |
[1:43:17] | getting him down off his cross. | 碰到麻烦了 |
[1:43:51] | Wait a minute. There he is. | 等一下 他来了 |
[1:43:53] | That son of a bitch isn’t in uniform, he’s in costume. | 那个狗娘养的不穿制服 他穿的是战装 |
[1:43:56] | I don’t know why it is an old man like that, | 我不明白这样一个 |
[1:43:58] | and a five-star general to boot, has to run around | 有着五颗星的大将军为何要四处奔跑 |
[1:44:00] | dressed up like a 19-year-old second lieutenant. | 穿得像19岁的中尉模样 |
[1:44:04] | I’ll tell you one thing, if he was an officer in my outfit, | 我告诉你如果他是我队中的军官 |
[1:44:06] | I’d bust him so fast he wouldn’t know what happened. | 我降他官阶他也不知是什么原因 |
[1:44:09] | And making me wait. | 他让我等候 |
[1:44:12] | He can do that to Harry Truman, | 他可以让享利杜鲁门等候 |
[1:44:13] | but not to his commander in chief. | 但却不能让他的总指挥官等候 |
[1:44:32] | General, I’ve been a long time meeting you. | 将军 这么久才有机会跟你见面 |
[1:44:34] | I hope it won’t be so long next time. | 希望下次不必这么久 |
[1:44:35] | Why, so do I. | 为什么 我也一样 |
[1:44:36] | General Bradley. MacArthur. | 布莱德雷 麦克阿瑟 |
[1:44:38] | Oh, yeah. Bess sent along a plum cake for the missus. | 这是给你的西点 夫人送的 |
[1:44:41] | How very thoughtful. Thank you, sir. | 想得真周到 谢谢 |
[1:44:44] | And how are Mrs. Truman and your daughter? | 杜鲁门夫人和你的女儿最近好吗 |
[1:44:46] | Oh, they’re fine. Just fine, thank you. | 他们很好 谢谢 |
[1:44:58] | General, I’ve read a little | 将军 我读过一点 |
[1:45:03] | military history, and it’s a pleasure to congratulate you | 军史 我很乐意祝贺 |
[1:45:07] | on your success at lnchon. | 你在仁川的成功 |
[1:45:08] | Now, that was the work of a master strategist. | 那是一次杰出的战略 |
[1:45:09] | Thank you, Mr. President. Coming from you, that’s a real tribute. | 谢谢 总统先生 你的祝贺别具意义 |
[1:45:14] | And I’d like to apologize for any misunderstanding raised by my trip to Formosa. | 我要为我的台湾之行向你道歉 它引起了误会 |
[1:45:19] | Oh, don’t think anything more about that. I understand your feelings. | 别再想那件事 我明了你的感受 |
[1:45:22] | I was a captain in Battery D in World War I, | 在一战期间的诺曼底一战 我曾是队长 |
[1:45:26] | and, well, that was the center of the whole war effort for me. | 感觉自己是世界注视的焦点 |
[1:45:29] | Well, perhaps you should have stayed in the army. | 或者你应该留在军中 |
[1:45:34] | Nope, I don’t think so. | 不 我不认为 |
[1:45:35] | I’ve heard it’s a bad idea for army men to dabble in politics. | 我听说军人参政并非好事 |
[1:45:40] | Mr. President, you know that I’m not involved | 总统先生 你知道我不曾 |
[1:45:42] | in politics in any way. | 从政 |
[1:45:44] | I did let the politicians make a chump out of me in the ’48 elections. | 在1949年大选时 我让政治家推我下台 |
[1:45:49] | If a general is going to be running against you, | 如果有一位将军在对抗你 |
[1:45:52] | his name will be Eisenhower, | 那人叫艾森豪威尔 |
[1:45:53] | not MacArthur. | 不是麦克阿瑟 |
[1:45:55] | Eisenhower? | 艾森豪威尔? |
[1:45:57] | That man doesn’t know as much about politics as a pig does about Sunday. | 那人对政治之无知 就如一只猪不了解星期天一样 |
[1:46:07] | General, I came over here to listen to your ideas | 将军我到这里来的目的是听取 |
[1:46:12] | on the rehabilitation of postwar Korea. | 你对战后韩国重整的意见 |
[1:46:17] | Mind if I smoke, Mr. President? | 你不介意我抽烟吗?总统先生 |
[1:46:19] | No,I suppose I’ve had more smoke | 不 我想一辈子我不曾碰上 |
[1:46:21] | blown in my face than any man alive. | 这么多烟雾 |
[1:46:29] | The formal resistance, l believe, | 我相信官方的抵抗 |
[1:46:35] | should end in Korea by Thanksgiving. | 应该在感恩节结束 |
[1:46:40] | And now that we’ve authorized military operations | 现在我们已经批准了 |
[1:46:42] | above the parallel, | 对38线的军事行动 |
[1:46:43] | do you include North Korea in that estimate? | 你会把北韩领土也吞并吗? |
[1:46:45] | Yes, I do. | 对 |
[1:46:46] | By the time I’m finished, we should have the entire peninsula under control. | 当我大功告成之时 整个半岛都在控制之下 |
[1:46:51] | General, you do understand the limitations | 将军 你知道你的极限吧 |
[1:46:53] | on your directive from the Joint Chiefs of Staff? | 要接受总参谋的指令 |
[1:46:56] | No military operations beyond the Chinese and Soviet borders, | 军事行动绝不越过中国苏联边界 |
[1:47:00] | and no American troops near those borders. | 美国军队也不能接近那些边界 |
[1:47:04] | Yes, I believe I understand that directive fully, | 对 我深信我了解这项指令 |
[1:47:07] | and our boys should be home by Christmas, Mr. President, | 只要中共不干预冲突的话 |
[1:47:10] | provided that Red China stays out of the conflict. | 我们的孩子将在圣诞节回家 |
[1:47:16] | Well, I’m glad to hear that, General. | 我很高兴听你这样说 将军 |
[1:47:18] | I’ve got the whole United Nations on my back. | 我背后有联合国 |
[1:47:21] | Now, a couple dozen members have got troops under you in Korea, | 几个会员国在南韩有驻军 |
[1:47:23] | and the whole bunch of them are scared stiff | 赫鲁晓夫会拉他们 |
[1:47:25] | that we’re pushing them into World War Ill. | 进入第三次世界大战 |
[1:47:28] | Now, there’s no doubt that Stalin’s pact with Mao Tse-tung | 我深信斯大林结盟毛泽东 |
[1:47:31] | pledges that the Soviet A-bomb backs the Chinese | 我深信苏联会在背后支持中共 |
[1:47:33] | if we should tangle with them. | 我们要与他们纠缠 |
[1:47:35] | You mentioned Chinese intervention now. | 你提到中共的干预 |
[1:47:37] | Is there any chance of that, do you think? | 你觉得这有可能吗? |
[1:47:39] | Mr. President, you must have | 总统先生 你一定拥有 |
[1:47:41] | more complete intelligence on that matter than I have. | 比我更佳的情报 |
[1:47:45] | Anything that I would say would be purely speculative. | 我所说的纯粹是推测 |
[1:47:48] | Of course. | 当然 |
[1:47:49] | And I’m sure that you also realize | 我肯定你也了解 |
[1:47:51] | that any question involving China | 涉及中国的问题 |
[1:47:53] | requires a political evaluation, not simply a military one. | 需要作政治上的评估 而非单在军事上 |
[1:47:58] | Our intelligence on the Chinese is limited. | 我们在中国的情报工作有限 |
[1:48:02] | They’re believed to have about 300,000 men in Manchuria, | 我相信他们在东北有三十万部队 |
[1:48:06] | but I doubt they could get more than 50,000 across the Yalu River. | 不过我怀疑他们有没有能力使多于五万人越过鸭绿江 |
[1:48:10] | They’d be highly vulnerable to our air attacks. | 那会使他们易受我们的空袭 |
[1:48:14] | So in my opinion, the chances of Red intervention are minimal. | 我的判断是中共侵略的可能性很低 |
[1:48:21] | And if they were to try to get down to the parallel, | 如果他们尝试越过38度线 |
[1:48:23] | they’d be walking into disaster, a crushing defeat. | 他们是自投罗网 |
[1:48:37] | Well, I’ve never had a more satisfactory conference | 自我当上总统以来 |
[1:48:42] | since I’ve been President. | 从未有如此让人满意的会议 |
[1:48:44] | General MacArthur is a member of the government of the United States, | 麦克阿瑟将军身为美国政府一员 |
[1:48:47] | and he’s loyal to that government and to the United Nations, | 他忠于政府和联合国 |
[1:48:50] | and he’s loyal to the president and his foreign policy, | 忠于总统和他的外交政策 |
[1:48:52] | and he’s confident that the fighting in Korea will soon be over. | 他有信心在韩国的战事很快结束 |
[1:48:56] | That’s what he said. | 他过去也是这么说的 |
[1:49:04] | Hey! What the hell is this? | 嘿 这是什么鬼东西? |
[1:49:07] | Turkey! Real turkey! | 是火鸡 真的火鸡 |
[1:49:10] | What’d you expect, shithead? It’s Thanksgiving. | 不然是什么 这是感恩节 |
[1:49:14] | Best thing about Thanksgiving is eating white meat. | 感恩节最好的事就是吃白肉 |
[1:49:20] | I tell you, if I had my way… | 我给你说 如果依我的意思 |
[1:49:56] | General Bradley called me at 6:15 this morning | 布莱德雷将军早上六时十五分来电话 |
[1:49:58] | with a message from General MacArthur. | 带来麦克阿瑟的口信 |
[1:50:01] | He says there are 260,000 Chinese out there against him. | 他说二十六万共军在那里对抗他 |
[1:50:06] | He says he’s stymied. | 他说无计可施 |
[1:50:09] | Says he has to go over on the defensive. | 从进攻变成防卫 |
[1:50:11] | It isn’t a matter of a few volunteers. | 不是几个志愿者 |
[1:50:13] | The Chinese have jumped in with both feet. | 中共全力投入 |
[1:50:16] | Well, what are they saying about me in Washington? | 在华盛顿的人怎样说我? |
[1:50:20] | Sir, to be candid about it, | 长官 坦白跟你说 |
[1:50:21] | they think you walked into a Chinese trap. | 他们认为你掉进中共的陷阱 |
[1:50:25] | That was a deliberate misunderstanding. | 那是故意的误解 |
[1:50:27] | The defeat of the North Koreans was decisive. | 北韩的败战是决定性的 |
[1:50:30] | In the face of this victory, the Chinese Communists have committed | 在即将获胜时 中共却大大违反 |
[1:50:34] | the most offensive act of international lawlessness in history. | 国际法规 史无前例 |
[1:50:38] | We are now facing a new, fresh, highly-trained army. | 你现在面对新的训练严格的军队 |
[1:50:45] | What does Truman mean by calling this a “police action”? | 杜鲁门的”警务行动”这话是什么意思? |
[1:50:50] | Isn’t it a fact that the casualties are mounting daily? | 事实是伤亡惨重 |
[1:50:55] | This “police action” has almost destroyed the Korean nation. | 这项警务行动差点毁了韩国 |
[1:51:01] | For what? | 为了什么? |
[1:51:05] | Guess I’ve seen as much blood and disaster | 这是前所未有最酷烈的 |
[1:51:07] | as any man now living. | 流血悲剧 |
[1:51:08] | Every time I come out of here, | 每一次我出来这里 |
[1:51:12] | I could just be sick. | 我就会吐 |
[1:51:16] | It curdles my stomach. | 胃也倒转 |
[1:51:19] | Does he intend to let this go on? | 他打算让这情形继续下去 |
[1:51:22] | By what sophistry of reason? | 是哪门子的理论? |
[1:51:24] | Sir, he has the Russians to consider, and our allies. | 先生 他要考虑俄罗斯人 我们的盟友 |
[1:51:28] | General Bradley feels the same way. | 布莱德雷将军也如此认为 |
[1:51:30] | He says that a war with China would be the wrong war | 他说跟中共战争是一场错误之战 |
[1:51:33] | at the wrong time, in the wrong place and with the wrong enemy. | 错误的时间 错误的地点和错误的敌人 |
[1:51:37] | The Joint Chiefs of Staff. | 总指挥官 |
[1:51:41] | I requested permission to bomb the Chinese airfields in Manchuria. | 我要求在东北空军基地投下炸弹 |
[1:51:46] | The request was denied. | 结果被他否决 |
[1:51:47] | I requested permission for hot pursuit of enemy aircraft | 我要求对敌人的飞机追击直到 |
[1:51:51] | into their privileged sanctuary above the Yalu. | 他们退回鸭绿江 |
[1:51:53] | That request was denied. | 也遭拒绝 |
[1:51:55] | I requested permission to bomb the Yalu bridges | 我要求轰炸大桥让中共无法 |
[1:51:58] | to keep the Chinese out of Korea. | 越过鸭绿江 |
[1:52:00] | They said, “You might bomb the southern half of the bridges only.” | 他说你只能炸南半部的桥 |
[1:52:08] | In my 50 years of military service, | 在我五十年的军队生涯中 |
[1:52:12] | I have never learned how to bomb half a bridge. | 从未学过炸半座桥 |
[1:52:21] | It’s the most imbecilic order ever given to a commander in the field. | 这是前所未有最差劲的命令 |
[1:52:29] | This is appeasement. | 这是绥靖政策 |
[1:52:34] | Unless some positive and immediate action can be taken, | 除非能采取正面快速的行动 |
[1:52:37] | we should withdraw our forces to Japan. | 军队才有可能退回日本 |
[1:52:40] | Forgive me, sir, but… | 对不起 将军 |
[1:52:42] | There are some of those back home who believe that it’s possible | 国内某些人相信有可能 |
[1:52:45] | to regain the offensive without… | 转防为攻 |
[1:52:49] | Well, without danger of widening the war. | 而不必扩大战争 |
[1:52:51] | Without widening the war? | 不必扩大战争? |
[1:52:58] | Well, the Eighth Army is Ridgway’s now. He can do what he likes. | 军队现在由他指挥 他可能随意调度 |
[1:53:03] | It won’t do any good. | 不会有好转的 |
[1:53:06] | For the first time in military history, | 在军史上第一次 |
[1:53:10] | a commander has been denied the use of his military power | 一名指挥官被拒绝使用他的军事权利 |
[1:53:15] | to safeguard the lives of his soldiers and the safety of his army. | 保卫他的士兵的生命和他的军队的安全 |
[1:53:20] | It leaves me with a sense of inexpressible shock. | 他至少感到难以言喻的震惊 |
[1:53:29] | Well, hallelujah. Matt Ridgway’s retaken Seoul. | 圣母马利亚 李奇微(美国陆军上将)重新夺回了首尔 |
[1:53:32] | What’d I tell you? | 我跟你说了什么? |
[1:53:36] | I wish I could celebrate, | 我希望我能庆贺 |
[1:53:40] | but the war hasn’t been won. | 但战争没有打赢 |
[1:53:43] | The battle lines roll up and down, up and down. | 战线往前移又后退 |
[1:53:47] | Victory nowhere in sight. | 胜利无望 |
[1:53:50] | This isn’t war. It’s half war. | 这不算战争而是局部战争 |
[1:53:54] | It’s an immoral compromise with evil. | 跟邪恶不道德的协调 |
[1:54:00] | There’s more than dust settling in Korea, Sid. | 那里不只有韩国人流血 希德 |
[1:54:04] | It’s American blood. | 也有美国人的血 |
[1:54:06] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[1:54:09] | Oh, the head of the United Kingdom | 英国代表团领队 |
[1:54:11] | mission wants an appointment with you, sir. | 想跟你会面 |
[1:54:13] | Well, what does he want? | 他想干什么? |
[1:54:15] | He’s worried that we’re getting desperate in Korea, | 他担心我们在韩国绝望 |
[1:54:19] | and we’ll use the bomb. | 而用上原子弹 |
[1:54:22] | Probably more worried about protecting British profits in Hong Kong | 他担心的是如何保护英国在香港的利益 |
[1:54:25] | than in saving lives in Korea. | 多于如何在韩国解救人命 |
[1:54:27] | I’ll shift his appointment, sir. | 我会拒绝掉此次会面 |
[1:54:28] | Excuse me, General. We just got word that Washington wants you | 对不起 将军 我们刚接到消息华盛顿命令你 |
[1:54:31] | to stop all offensive operations immediately. | 马上停止所有攻击 |
[1:54:38] | What? | 什么? |
[1:54:40] | They want to affect a political, | 他们想用政治方法解决 |
[1:54:42] | rather than a military solution. | 而非军事 |
[1:54:45] | They’re planning to draft a cease-fire proposal. | 他们计划一项停火提议案 |
[1:54:49] | They ask for any recommendations | 他们向你征求 |
[1:54:51] | you may have for minor adjustments along your battle lines | 关于调整前线布局的建议 |
[1:54:53] | to consolidate your position for adequate defense. | 以稳固你的位置充分防御 |
[1:54:55] | Minor adjustments? What are they talking about? | 修正?他们到底在说什么? |
[1:54:59] | Why should I recommend anything? This is total capitulation. | 为什么我要提议任何东西??这是彻底的投降 |
[1:55:02] | Well, sir, in view of Truman’s feeling, | 对杜鲁门来说 |
[1:55:04] | you want to substitute your policy for his. | 你用你的政策代替他的 |
[1:55:06] | I couldn’t substitute my policy for Mr. Truman’s, | 我不能用杜鲁门的政策代替我的 |
[1:55:09] | because Mr. Truman doesn’t have a policy! | 因为杜鲁门并没有政策 |
[1:55:13] | Well, fine, sir. | 长官 |
[1:55:14] | Why don’t you let me notify them that | 为什么不让我知会他们 |
[1:55:16] | you’re taking the proposals under study, and that way, we’ll be… | 你正在考虑他们的提议 就这样混过去 我们就会… |
[1:55:18] | No.lhave a better idea. | 我有更好的提议 |
[1:55:21] | We’ll send a message to the Chinese commander. | 我们送给中国指挥官一封电文 |
[1:55:24] | Put it on all the wire services. I want maximum exposure. | 公开放送我要引起大众注目 |
[1:55:27] | Sir, you have been specifically prohibited | 长官你被特别禁止 |
[1:55:29] | from issuing any statements. | 发表任何言论 |
[1:55:31] | Sir, that is a direct order from the president. | 这是总统的直接命令 |
[1:55:37] | And that is part of a dangerous concept, | 我高兴这是危险概念的一部分 |
[1:55:40] | that men of the armed forces owe their primary allegiance | 军方的人首要效忠的乃是 |
[1:55:44] | to these temporary occupants of the White House, | 这位暂时占据白宫的人 |
[1:55:48] | instead of to the country and the Constitution we’re sworn to defend! | 反而不是对国家和宪法誓死效命 |
[1:55:55] | I ought to kick his insubordinate ass right in the Sea of Japan. | 我必须把他赶回日本丢进海里 |
[1:55:58] | The lousiest trick he’s pulled. | 混帐到极点 |
[1:55:59] | I travel 14,000 miles to reach an understanding face to face, | 我飞了一万四千里跟他面对面沟通 |
[1:56:02] | and he still thinks he can do exactly what he damn well pleases. | 而他仍然认为他可以随心所欲 |
[1:56:05] | Can you imagine? He actually sent a message to the Chinese | 难以想像他真的给中共电文 |
[1:56:08] | threatening to destroy their forces | 威胁摧毁他们的军队 |
[1:56:10] | unless they were to negotiate a solution with him personally. | 除非他们跟他私底下谈判 |
[1:56:13] | You know, there’s a story | 你听过这个故事吗? |
[1:56:16] | where Abe Lincoln was trying to mount a horse that was skittish, | 林肯想要骑上一匹难驯的马 |
[1:56:19] | and the horse kicked a hind hoof into the stirrup. | 马儿抬起后脚 无法上马 |
[1:56:22] | So Lincoln says to him, “If you’re gonna get on, I’ll get off.” | 所以林肯只好说 就算上了马也得下来 |
[1:56:25] | Well, I’m not getting off. | 我不会下马的 |
[1:56:27] | I think Roosevelt should have pulled Wainwright out of Corregidor, | 我觉得罗斯福应该把温赖特将军调离柯雷吉多尔 |
[1:56:30] | and left that five-star, brass-hat MacArthur there to be the martyr. | 而不是调麦克阿瑟 |
[1:56:33] | What shall I do with the cease-fire proposal? | 停火提议我该怎样处理? |
[1:56:36] | Scrap it. I can’t approach the Chinese | 撕掉 在这件事之后 |
[1:56:37] | on any political basis, not after this. | 我已没有政治理由去面对中共 |
[1:56:39] | That man’s trying to start World War lll, and I’m trying to prevent it. | 那个人想发动第三次世界大战而我试着阻止它 |
[1:56:43] | I’ll fire that brass-hat prima donna right now. | 那杂种现在一定偷偷自喜 |
[1:56:45] | Who the hell does he think he is? God? | 他以为自己是谁?上帝? |
[1:56:47] | What do you think Congress would do if I relieve the big general? | 如果我把大将军免职 你猜上帝会作何感想 |
[1:56:50] | Congress would flay you alive. | 国会将活剥你的皮 |
[1:56:52] | Fortunately for me, the navy outfielder’s throw was also wild, | 幸运的是 海军的外野手太用力了 |
[1:56:56] | over the third baseman’s head, | 把球丢过了三垒手的头 |
[1:56:58] | and with those two wild throws, | 抛出了两个球 |
[1:57:00] | I was able to dash around the bases into home | 让我有时间冲回本垒 |
[1:57:02] | with what turned out to be the winning run. | 获得致胜的一分 |
[1:57:05] | Excuse me. | 打扰了 |
[1:57:07] | And the final score was | 最后的得分是 |
[1:57:09] | West Point 4, Annapolis 3. | 西点军校四分 海军学院3分 |
[1:57:13] | I think that the loudest cheers were led by my mother. | 我想呼喊声最大的是我妈妈 |
[1:57:17] | She was always there. | 她总是在那里 |
[1:57:21] | They used to say about us that we were the first… | 我常常对人说我们是 |
[1:57:24] | The only mother and son ever to graduate | 唯一一对同一天 |
[1:57:27] | from West Point on the same day. | 在西点军校毕业的母子 |
[1:57:32] | That was in Annapolis in the spring of… | 那是在春天 在安那波理斯(美国马里兰州首府) |
[1:57:49] | Well, Jeannie, we’re going home at last. | 我们终于要回家了 |
[1:58:06] | That was the first varsity baseball game ever played | 那是唯一的一次西点和海军军校打的 |
[1:58:09] | between West Point and the Naval Academy. | 棒球比赛 |
[1:58:15] | Well, so much for my baseball career, | 这便是我的棒球生涯 |
[1:58:19] | and for happy memories. | 和快乐的回忆 |
[1:58:28] | And now will you excuse us, please? | 现在恕我们先告退了 |
[1:58:54] | I’ve never seen anything like it. | 我从没有见过这等景象 |
[1:58:56] | The entire city’s come out to celebrate | 整个城市都出来迎接 |
[1:58:58] | the return of America’s greatest hero. | 美国最伟大的英雄的归来 |
[1:59:05] | Officials estimate from seven to 10 million people are here on hand, | 我估计有七百万到一千万人 |
[1:59:09] | and that surpasses | 人数超过了 |
[1:59:10] | Lindbergh’s and Eisenhower’s homecomings put together. | 林德伯格和艾森豪威尔归来时欢迎群众的总数更多 |
[1:59:13] | Schools are out, the crowd is excited, | 学校停课 群众兴奋万分 |
[1:59:16] | the office workers are… Just have taken a holiday. | 办公室及蓝领阶级都放假 |
[1:59:22] | Meanwhile, in our nation’s capital, | 这时候在首都 |
[1:59:24] | the statement from the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in part, quote, | 国家的内阁首长发表声明 |
[1:59:27] | “it is fundamental that all military commanders | 所有军事领袖 |
[1:59:30] | “must be governed by our laws and the constitutional guarantee | 必须遵守法规和宪法所规定的 |
[1:59:34] | “of civilian control over the military.” | 平民必须驾御军方 |
[1:59:37] | When asked to comment, President Truman said… | 杜鲁门被询问时说 |
[1:59:39] | Well, people who think they’re God | 自以为是神的人 |
[1:59:40] | are bound to get into trouble sooner or later. | 迟早会有麻烦 |
[1:59:43] | What you have to understand | 你必须要明白 |
[1:59:44] | is that the people of this country | 这个国家的男女 |
[1:59:46] | are men and women of common sense, | 都很理智 |
[1:59:47] | and whenever anybody gets too far out of line, | 有人若作得太过分 |
[1:59:49] | the people are gonna take charge and put him out of business. | 必定有人会把他赶下台 |
[1:59:56] | But once war has been forced upon us, | 每当我们被迫参战 |
[2:00:01] | there is no other alternative | 没有任何选择 |
[2:00:04] | than to apply every available means to bring it to a swift end. | 只能尽一切方法尽快使战争结束 |
[2:00:12] | War’s very object is victory, not prolonged indecision. | 战争首要目标是胜利而非拖延及犹疑不决 |
[2:00:20] | In war, | 战争中 |
[2:00:22] | there can be no substitute for victory. | 胜利没有任何替代品 |
[2:00:31] | For history teaches us, with unmistakable emphasis, | 历史的教训再三强调 |
[2:00:35] | that appeasement but begets new and bloodier war. | 安抚妥协只会造成新的流血战争 |
[2:00:41] | Like blackmail, | 即如勒索 |
[2:00:43] | it lays the basis for new and increasingly greater demands | 是以无度的欲望为基础的 |
[2:00:48] | until, as in blackmail, | 最后 譬如敲诈 |
[2:00:51] | violence becomes the only alternative. | 只能用武力解决 |
[2:01:02] | “Why? II | 为什么? |
[2:01:05] | “Why,” my soldiers ask of me, | 我的部下一直问我为什么 |
[2:01:10] | “surrender military advantages to an enemy in the field?” | 为什么在有利的战况时向敌人投降 |
[2:01:20] | I could not answer. | 我无法回答 |
[2:01:25] | The magnificence of the courage and fortitude of the Korean people | 韩国人表现无畏的勇气 |
[2:01:33] | defies description. | 不是言辞能表达 |
[2:01:37] | They have chosen to risk death rather than slavery. | 他们甘冒生命危险而不愿受奴役 |
[2:01:46] | Their last words to me were, | 他们对我说的最后一句话是: |
[2:01:51] | “Don’t scuttle the Pacific.” | 不要放弃太平洋 |
[2:02:06] | I am closing my 52 years of military service. | 我五十二年的军人生涯即将闭幕 |
[2:02:14] | When I joined the army, even before the turn of the century, | 在本世纪大动乱之前我即从军 |
[2:02:20] | it was the fulfillment of all my boyish hopes and dreams. | 那是童年愿望和梦想的实现 |
[2:02:27] | The world has turned over many times | 自我宣誓从军到现在 |
[2:02:29] | since I took the oath on the plain at West Point, | 世界经历数次大动荡 |
[2:02:34] | and the hopes and dreams have long since vanished. | 愿望和梦想全已消失 |
[2:02:41] | But I still remember the refrain | 不过我仍然记得 |
[2:02:43] | of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day, | 当时最流行的歌 |
[2:02:49] | which proclaimed most proudly that, | 骄傲的宣称: |
[2:02:53] | “Old soldiers never die. | 老兵不死 |
[2:02:59] | “They just fade away.” | 只是凋零 |
[2:03:06] | Like the old soldier of that ballad, | 我就像这样的老军人 |
[2:03:11] | I now close my military career, | 现在我结束军旅生涯 |
[2:03:16] | and just fade away. | 只是凋零 |
[2:03:20] | An old soldier | 一位尽责的 |
[2:03:23] | who tried to do his duty | 老军人 |
[2:03:27] | as God gave him the light to see that duty. | 在上帝的照耀下 尽好自己的责任 |
[2:03:43] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[2:04:00] | Goodbye, hell. He’s running for president. | 再见 他要竞选总统了 |
[2:04:03] | I give you the greatest war hero | 在战场上有史以来最伟大的英雄 |
[2:04:06] | America has ever known, our finest leader of men, | 也是最能干的 |
[2:04:10] | our most brilliant strategist, | 政治家 |
[2:04:12] | a man of inspiration and a man of action. | 富想像力 积极主动 |
[2:04:16] | I give you the next President of the United States, | 下一任的准美国总统 |
[2:04:20] | five-star General of the Army, | 陆军五星上将 |
[2:04:23] | Dwight David Eisenhower! | 艾森豪威尔 |
[2:04:40] | What kind of president do you think he’s gonna make? | 你想他会是个怎样的总统 |
[2:04:47] | I think he’ll make a fine president. | 我想他会是个很好的总统 |
[2:04:50] | He was the best clerk who ever served under me. | 他曾经是我手下最好的参谋 |
[2:05:04] | The shadows are lengthening for me. | 我已老朽 |
[2:05:08] | Twilight is here. | 黄昏将至 |
[2:05:11] | My days of old have vanished tone and tint, | 老年将快结束 声音与颜色均已黯褪 |
[2:05:18] | they have gone glimmering through the dreams of things that were. | 辉煌的往事已在梦忆中消逝 |
[2:05:24] | Their memory is one of wondrous beauty | 回忆真是奇美 |
[2:05:29] | watered by tears and coaxed and caressed by the smiles of yesterday. | 有泪水的滋润和昔日微笑的抚慰 |
[2:05:36] | I listen vainly, but with thirsty ear for the Witching melody | 我耳际朦胧 但我热切聆听微弱的号角吹奏迷人的 |
[2:05:41] | of faint bugles blowing reveille, | 起床号音 |
[2:05:45] | of far drums beating the long roll. | 以及遥远的鼓声 |
[2:05:50] | In my dreams, I hear the crash of guns, | 在梦忆中 我再度听到枪炮的声音 |
[2:05:53] | the rattle of musketry, | 拨浪鼓鸣放的声音 |
[2:05:56] | the strange mournful mutter of the battlefield. | 与战场上忧伤的低语 |
[2:06:06] | But in the evening of my memory, | 在我记忆的黄昏 |
[2:06:10] | always I return | 我又常回到 |
[2:06:14] | to West Point. | 西点 |
[2:06:17] | Always there echoes and reechoes, | 那里总响着: |
[2:06:22] | duty, | 责任 |
[2:06:27] | country. | 国家 |
[2:06:34] | Today marks my final roll call with you. | 今天是我最后一次校阅你们 |
[2:06:43] | But I want you to know that when I cross the river, | 但愿你们知道当我到达彼岸时 |
[2:06:47] | my last conscious thoughts | 我内心深处 仍思念着 |
[2:06:53] | will be of the Corps, | 同学们 |
[2:07:00] | and the Corps, | 同学们 |
[2:07:04] | and the Corps. | 同学们 |
[2:07:12] | I bid you | 我向你们说 |
[2:07:16] | farewell. | 珍重再见 |