时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:22] | At the Round Table | 圆桌旁 |
[00:23] | there was one seat kept always vacant, | 始终留有一个空座 |
[00:29] | reserved by Merlin for the knight destined to claim the Grail, | 梅林将之留给命中注定将找到圣杯 |
[00:34] | and heal the Wounded Land. | 治愈创伤之地的骑士 |
[00:38] | The seat was named the Siege Perilous, | 此位被称为危险席 |
[00:41] | for should any other dare sit therein, | 若非命定之人敢坐上去 |
[00:44] | it held only death. | 必将丧命 |
[00:47] | H P N H, P, N, | |
[00:50] | X U T X, U, T, | |
[00:53] | A H D F… A, H, D, F… | |
[01:02] | Hi, Dad! | 爸爸 |
[01:03] | Get inside, Tommy. | 进屋去 汤米 |
[01:45] | All right, George? | 好啊 乔治 |
[02:17] | As Chief Constable, | 作为警察局长 |
[02:19] | I’d like to express my appreciation to the Council | 我想向市议会表示感谢 |
[02:22] | and in particular to Alderman Wintergreen. | 特别是温特格林市议员 |
[02:26] | And for taking over sponsorship of this worthy cause, | 我们也非常感谢这项崇高事业的 |
[02:29] | we are also very grateful to Mr. Josiah Landesman. | 新赞助者 乔萨亚·兰德斯曼先生 |
[02:33] | Thank you, Joe. | 谢谢你 乔 |
[02:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢各位 |
[02:39] | I am likewise grateful to Chief Constable Standish | 我也同样感谢斯坦迪什警察局长 |
[02:42] | for those kind words. | 对我的赞美之词 |
[03:20] | The Gracie Craig Dance Company, ladies and gentlemen. | 格蕾丝·克雷格舞团 女士们先生们 |
[03:23] | And now, without further ado, | 那么不再耽搁 |
[03:24] | would you please welcome Benny and Clyde. | 掌声有请本尼和克莱德 |
[04:19] | Following the rejection last night | 因为罗德西亚领导人 |
[04:21] | by leader in Rhodesia of a new working document | 于昨晚决定不通过本来被期望 |
[04:24] | which was hoped might settle the Constitutional crisis, | 能结束宪法危机的新工作文件 |
[04:27] | Mr. Wilson announced in the House of Commons | 威尔逊先生在下议院宣布 |
[04:29] | that the government will fulfill their commitment | 政府会履行承诺 |
[04:31] | to organizing world opinion in the United Nations | 在联合国组织世界各国商讨 |
[04:34] | for selecting mandatory sanctions against Rhodesia, | 对罗德西亚执行一定的强制制裁 |
[04:37] | to which end it is believed Mr. George Brown, | 为达此目的 据说外交大臣 |
[04:39] | the foreign secretary, will today fly to New York. | 乔治·布朗 今天将飞往纽约 |
[04:44] | New scarf? | 新围巾吗 |
[04:48] | Scarf. | 围巾 |
[04:50] | New? | 新的吗 |
[04:51] | Oh, yes. | 是的 |
[04:53] | Where’s that from, then? | 哪来的 |
[04:55] | From Burridges, by the label. | 标签上写着巴里奇百货 |
[04:58] | You’re very literal. | 听不懂话中话吗 |
[04:59] | It’s a failing. | 这是我的缺点 |
[05:00] | You’d never pick that. | 绝不会是你自己挑的 |
[05:02] | So, who’s the admirer? | 说吧 你的爱慕者是谁 |
[05:05] | Don’t tease, Joan. | 别逗他了 琼 |
[05:07] | I think it’s very nice | 如果摩斯找到了 |
[05:08] | if Morse’s found someone to take care of him. | 愿意照顾他的人 那是好事 |
[05:10] | Step lively, then. | 快走吧 |
[05:18] | Warmed the polish? | 鞋油加热了吗 |
[05:18] | With a heated spoon, yes. | 用热勺子热过了 |
[05:20] | Only saying, a job’s worth doing… | 就提醒一下 这是该认真做的事 |
[05:22] | I know. | 我知道 |
[05:23] | “Look after your shoes…” | “照顾好你的鞋子” |
[05:24] | “…And your shoes’ll look after you.” | “你的鞋子也会照顾好你” |
[05:27] | Much in? | 有情况吗 |
[05:28] | We’ve an 11-year-old, Tommy Cork, | 有个11岁男孩 汤米·科克 |
[05:30] | done a bunk from home. | 离家出走了 |
[05:32] | – Davey Cork’s boy? – Yeah. | -戴维·科克的儿子吗 -是的 |
[05:34] | Figures. | 猜到了 |
[05:34] | Oh, and we’ve a request in from County. | 还有 郡警局提出请求 |
[05:36] | We’re to be on lookout for a George Aldridge. | 叫我们留意一个叫乔治·奥德里奇的人 |
[05:38] | Absconded from Farnleigh tea time Saturday. | 他周六晚饭时间从法穆利监狱逃走了 |
[05:40] | There you go. | 给你 |
[05:42] | Come home safe. | 平安回家 |
[05:43] | Righto. | 好的 |
[05:44] | Saturday? | 周六 |
[05:45] | He’ll be long gone. | 那他肯定早跑远了 |
[05:46] | That was my thinking. | 我也这么想的 |
[05:50] | What? | 怎么了 |
[05:51] | New scarf? | 新围巾吗 |
[05:54] | Nice. | 挺好看 |
[05:57] | What’s he in for, this escapee? | 这个越狱犯因什么罪入狱 |
[05:59] | Breaking and entering, receiving stolen goods, car theft. | 非法闯入 收赃 偷车 |
[06:02] | Got three years, due out the second week of January. | 判了三年 一月第二周刑满释放 |
[06:04] | January? This January? | 一月 今年一月吗 |
[06:06] | Why make a break for it | 为什么还要越狱 |
[06:07] | with so little of your sentence left to go? | 明明刑期没剩下几天了 |
[06:09] | That was my thought. | 我也这么想的 |
[06:10] | Then what’s behind it? | 那到底为什么 |
[06:11] | Family troubles? Girlfriend? | 家人有麻烦 女朋友 |
[06:12] | No next of kin listed on his file. | 他档案显示没有近亲 |
[06:14] | No letters or visitors according to the governor. | 狱长说他没有来信 也没人探视 |
[06:16] | Can’t read, apparently, so… | 据说他不识字 所以… |
[06:18] | Well, I can’t see we’ll come across him. | 我们遇到他的可能性应该不大 |
[06:20] | Best look to the kiddie. | 还是去找那孩子吧 |
[06:21] | I was going to. | 我正要去 |
[06:30] | Bloody place. | 这地方真恶心 |
[06:32] | Turns my guts. | 让我想吐 |
[06:33] | Bleach, sweat, boiled cabbage. | 漂白剂 臭汗 煮烂的白菜 |
[06:36] | And everything on tick. | 借钱度日 |
[06:38] | Never Never Land. | 真是梦幻之地 |
[06:56] | So what’s behind this little jaunt? | 他为什么离家出走 |
[06:57] | Dave take his belt to him again? | 戴维又用皮带教训他了吗 |
[06:59] | Give him a leathering? | 抽他了 |
[07:00] | What does he like doing? | 他喜欢做什么 |
[07:01] | Football? | 踢足球 |
[07:03] | Putting in windows and knockdown ginger’s more Tommy’s line. | 汤米更喜欢砸窗户 欺负小女孩 |
[07:06] | He’s keen on dogs, though, yeah? | 不过他喜欢狗 对吗 |
[07:07] | Dave’s got his canaries, but it’s no pets with the council. | 戴维有金丝雀 但市议会不许养宠物的 |
[07:13] | I’m not about to go to the Housing Department, Mrs. Cork, | 我虽然不会向房屋部举报 科克太太 |
[07:15] | but that’s not canary molt. | 但这毛可不是金丝雀脱落的 |
[07:18] | Brave new world, Thursday. | 美丽新世界啊 瑟斯戴 |
[07:21] | Sir? | 长官 |
[07:22] | This Thames Valley business. | 泰晤士河谷警局的事 |
[07:24] | I was talking to Chief Constable Standish | 我之前在遗属慈善庆典上 |
[07:26] | at the Widows and Orphans. | 跟斯坦迪什警察局长谈了 |
[07:28] | Division have been very impressed with my paper on the amalgamation. | 警部很喜欢我那篇关于合并的报告 |
[07:33] | The one Morse wrote up, sir? | 摩斯写的那篇吗 长官 |
[07:34] | Typed, I think you’ll find, from my prepared notes. | 其实是根据我详细的笔记转录的 |
[07:37] | Course, sir. | 当然 长官 |
[07:38] | Figure of speech. | 我就那么一说 |
[07:39] | In any event I’m having lunch this week with ACC Deare | 总之 我这周要跟助理警察局长迪尔吃午饭 |
[07:43] | to go over one or two of the finer points, | 商讨一些细枝末节 |
[07:45] | but | 但… |
[07:47] | “instrumental” | “至关重要” |
[07:49] | was the word bandied about quite freely. | 这个词被多次提起了 |
[07:52] | Merger’s definitely going ahead, then? | 合并看来是势在必行了 |
[07:54] | Oh, yes, all systems go. | 是的 一切就绪 |
[07:58] | Naturally there’ll be some streamlining. | 当然了 必须要进行人员精简 |
[08:01] | Voluntary, for the most part. | 大多会是以志愿形式 |
[08:05] | Yes, comes to us all, I suppose, | 是的 我们都有这一天 |
[08:08] | in the end, | 最终 |
[08:11] | one way or another. | 不管以何种方式 |
[08:15] | Excuse me, I am looking for Tommy Cork. | 不好意思 我在找汤米·科克 |
[08:20] | He’s down by the canal. | 他在运河边 |
[08:23] | Down that way. | 那边 |
[08:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:40] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[08:42] | Anyone home? | 有人在吗 |
[08:51] | He said he was going to drown them. | 他说要淹死它们 |
[08:54] | Is that how you got the shiner? | 所以你的眼睛才挨了拳头吗 |
[08:59] | You can’t stay here. | 你不能住这儿 |
[09:02] | You know that. | 你知道吧 |
[09:04] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[09:05] | Don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[09:07] | I’ll talk to the dog unit. | 我去找警犬队问问 |
[09:15] | Has he had anything? | 他吃东西了吗 |
[09:16] | Canteen’s not open yet sir. | 食堂还没开 长官 |
[09:18] | Here you go then. | 那给你 |
[09:19] | Mum says I’m not to take anything off strangers. | 妈妈叫我别拿陌生人的东西 |
[09:22] | We’re not strangers, we’re coppers. | 我们不是陌生人 我们是警察 |
[09:24] | Go on. | 拿吧 |
[09:25] | You’re in for a treat, it’s Monday– cheese and pickle. | 你有口福了 今天周一 是奶酪咸菜 |
[09:33] | What’d you say? | 该说什么 |
[09:35] | Thursday… good heavens, what’s this? | 瑟斯戴 老天爷 这怎么回事 |
[09:37] | Waifs and strays? | 流浪儿吗 |
[09:38] | Tommy Cork, sir. | 是汤米·科克 长官 |
[09:38] | The young lad gone missing from home. | 从家里跑出去的小孩 |
[09:40] | He’s a bit nervous of us, sir. | 他有点怕我们 长官 |
[09:41] | Indeed? Well, there’s no need for that. | 是吗 不用怕啊 |
[09:44] | Hasn’t anyone ever told you the policeman is your friend? | 没人告诉过你 警察是你的朋友吗 |
[09:48] | That’s not what my dad says. | 我爸不是那么说的 |
[09:50] | No? | 是吗 |
[09:51] | No. He says you’re all bastards. | 嗯 他说你们都是混蛋 |
[09:55] | You wanted a word, sir? | 您有事找我吗 长官 |
[09:59] | Yes. | 是的 |
[10:01] | Get him back as soon as possible, Morse, all right? | 尽快把他送回家 摩斯 |
[10:03] | This is a police station, not a creche. | 这里是警局 不是托儿所 |
[10:05] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[10:07] | See you finish your crusts. | 硬皮也都吃了 |
[10:24] | He ain’t coming. | 他不会来了 |
[10:27] | Don’t say that. | 别那么说 |
[10:28] | I didn’t say that. | 我没说 |
[10:29] | You said it, you big dummy. | 是你说的 你个大笨蛋 |
[10:33] | He ain’t coming. | 他不会来了 |
[11:00] | Drunk, by the smell of him. | 醉汉 一身酒气 |
[11:03] | Trying to take a shortcut and the fast’s had him. | 为了抄近路要了命 |
[11:05] | Name of Patterson, Eric. | 名叫埃里克·帕特森 |
[11:07] | No address, | 不知道地址 |
[11:08] | but he’s a railway ticket dated Saturday from Bristol. | 但他有张周六从布里斯托尔来的火车票 |
[11:10] | Return. | 返程的 |
[11:12] | Dead about 36 hours. | 大概死了36小时了 |
[11:15] | No obvious signs of injury. | 没有明显伤痕 |
[11:18] | Glancing blow to the skull, perhaps. | 可能是脑袋被侧撞了一下 |
[11:21] | Or he fell from the train. | 也可能是从火车上跌落了下来 |
[11:23] | Could have leant out of the window, | 可能从窗口探出身来 |
[11:25] | door’s come open, | 但门突然开了 |
[11:27] | and goodnight, Irene. | 于是就此长眠了 |
[11:33] | The FME has some concerns about your blood pressure. | 警队体检医生有些担心你的血压 |
[11:36] | Oh, is that all? | 没别的了吗 |
[11:38] | Army medic said the same | 军医也这么说的 |
[11:39] | just before they sent me up the desert to meet Rommel. | 紧接着还是派我去沙漠对付隆美尔 |
[11:41] | Runs in the family. | 家族遗传而已 |
[11:42] | Nevertheless, he wants to see you again in three months, | 不管怎样 他要三个月后再见你 |
[11:44] | review the situation. | 重新审核下情况 |
[11:46] | The job takes its toll, Thursday. | 这工作是有代价的 瑟斯戴 |
[11:49] | Only so many years of active service in any of us. | 我们能服役的时间都是有限的 |
[11:53] | I’m good for a while yet. | 我暂时还行的 |
[11:55] | I’d hope so too. | 我也希望是如此 |
[11:56] | But one can’t fight the natural way of things. | 但人不能抗拒自然之力 |
[11:59] | The old order changeth. | 旧秩序会改变 |
[12:00] | Younger, fitter men come along, | 更年轻健康的人补上来 |
[12:03] | and wisdom and experience can be put to best use in other ways. | 而智慧和经验能以其他方式来好好发挥作用 |
[12:07] | Training, you mean. | 做培训吗 |
[12:11] | Sure, it suits some, and good luck to ’em, | 是合适有些人 我也祝福他们 |
[12:14] | but I don’t want to play at it. | 但我不想做轻活儿 |
[12:17] | Theory’s no substitute for practice. | 理论是不能代替实操的 |
[12:19] | I’m a proper copper or I’m nothing, sir. | 我要么是个正经警察 要么就不是 长官 |
[12:28] | You don’t waste much time. | 你动作还真快 |
[12:29] | What’s the story? | 怎么回事 |
[12:31] | Misadventure. | 不幸意外 |
[12:32] | Male, 50s. Not local. | 男性 50多 不是本地人 |
[12:35] | Eric Patterson. | 埃里克·帕特森 |
[12:40] | Miss Frazil? | 弗雷泽小姐 |
[12:42] | Who was he? | 他是谁 |
[12:43] | Big noise in Fleet Street after the war. | 战后在伦敦报界打响了名声 |
[12:45] | So, what was he doing in Oxford? | 那他为什么来牛津 |
[12:47] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[12:47] | I ran into him Saturday | 我周六才碰到过他 |
[12:48] | covering the Police Widows and Orphans at the Town Hall. | 我是去报道市政厅的警察遗属慈善庆典 |
[12:52] | How did he seem? | 他看上去怎么样 |
[12:54] | He asked to meet me for a drink yesterday, | 他邀我昨天一起去喝酒 |
[12:56] | only he never turned up. | 但却没来 |
[12:58] | Eric was always… | 埃里克一向 |
[13:00] | unreliable. | 说话没准 |
[13:02] | But I thought he might show. | 但我还以为他会去呢 |
[13:03] | He said he wanted to pick my brains. | 他说有事想问我意见 |
[13:05] | Did he say what about? | 他说是什么事了吗 |
[13:08] | Landesman Construction. | 兰德斯曼建筑公司 |
[13:10] | Building your big new HQ out at Kidlington, aren’t they? | 他们不是在建你们基灵顿的新大总部吗 |
[13:13] | If it goes through. | 如果真成了的话 |
[13:16] | When. | 肯定会的 |
[13:18] | I saw him bending Alderman Wintergreen’s ear | 我看到他跟温特格林市议员说了什么 |
[13:20] | for a good ten minutes. | 说了至少有十分钟 |
[13:23] | Well, whatever it was, doesn’t matter much to Eric now. | 不管是什么事 现在对埃里克也不重要了 |
[13:27] | Won’t have results back on his blood for a few days, | 他的血检还要几天才能出来 |
[13:30] | but he went with a gutful of scotch. | 但他是喝饱了威士忌死的 |
[13:33] | Which must have pleased his duodenal ulcer no end. | 这对他的十二指肠溃疡肯定可好了 |
[13:37] | He wasn’t in the best shape. | 他身体状态不好 |
[13:38] | Cirrhotic liver. | 肝硬化 |
[13:40] | TB scarring to the lungs– | 肺部有肺结核伤痕 |
[13:42] | the phlegm fatale. | 致命痰 |
[13:46] | So what killed him? | 死因是什么 |
[13:47] | Our old friend Mr. Blunt Trauma to the Skull. | 我们的老朋友 头骨钝伤先生 |
[13:51] | Mr. Blunt Trauma? | 钝伤先生 |
[13:53] | I like to keep things simple when dealing with the police. | 跟警察说话时 我喜欢简明扼要 |
[13:58] | So was he hit by the train? | 他是被火车撞了吗 |
[14:00] | Glancing blow, if it was. | 就算是也是侧击 |
[14:01] | Chipped a tooth. | 磕了牙 |
[14:02] | Found what was left of it in his stomach. | 剩下的牙落入了胃里 |
[14:06] | How much scotch makes a “gutful”? | 多少威士忌算是”喝饱了” |
[14:08] | Imperial or metric? | 按英制还是公制说 |
[14:10] | Twenty-odd fluid ounces. | 20多液盎司吧 |
[14:12] | A bottle’s worth, give or take. | 差不多是一瓶 |
[14:14] | So more than a half-bottle, then. | 那么是超过半瓶了 |
[14:18] | Oh, yes. | 对 |
[14:22] | He could’ve got a skinful down the pub, couldn’t he? | 也可能是在酒吧里喝的 |
[14:23] | I suppose. | 大概吧 |
[14:25] | I just can’t see where he thought he might’ve been going | 如果他是想抄近路 我想不通 |
[14:26] | if it was a shortcut. | 他是打算去哪 |
[14:28] | The state he was in, who knows? | 醉成那样 谁知道呢 |
[14:30] | Anyway, I thought Dr. DeBryn said | 再说 德布林医生不是说 |
[14:32] | he might’ve jumped from the train. | 他可能是从火车上坠落的吗 |
[14:33] | Yes, perhaps. | 是可能 |
[14:34] | But he wasn’t going home if that was the case. | 但如果是的话 他当时不是在回家 |
[14:37] | He was found beside the up line, not the down. | 他的尸体在上行线旁 而不是下行线旁 |
[14:39] | Besides, his ticket hadn’t been punched. | 再说 他的票也没检过 |
[14:41] | Well, it has now. | 他现在是死了 |
[14:42] | Anything from Bristol? | 布里斯托尔那边有线索吗 |
[14:43] | No, nothing. | 没有 |
[14:44] | Lived alone, flat in the Clifton area, I think. | 独居 公寓在克利夫顿区 好像 |
[14:46] | No other occupants listed. | 没有列出有其他住户 |
[14:48] | Not much more to be done, then. | 那没什么可查的了 |
[14:49] | I think I might have a word with Alderman Wintergreen. | 我想找温特格林市议员谈谈 |
[14:51] | – Why? – Ms. Frazil said she saw Patterson talking to him | -为什么 -弗雷泽小姐说她周六时看到 |
[14:54] | at the Widows and Orphans on Saturday. | 帕特森在遗属慈善庆典上跟他说话 |
[14:56] | Look, you run the car back. | 你把车开回去 |
[15:00] | I might stretch my legs. | 我想活动活动腿脚 |
[15:02] | Sure? | 真的 |
[15:05] | A bit of a walk’ll | 走走路 |
[15:07] | do me good. Bit of exercise. | 对我有好处 锻锻炼 |
[15:09] | And don’t bother picking me up in the morning. | 早上也别来接我了 |
[15:12] | I’ll find my own way in. | 我自己想办法去 |
[15:15] | Night. | 晚安 |
[15:40] | What? | 怎么了 |
[15:43] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[15:46] | Happy? | 开心吗 |
[15:48] | You? | 你呢 |
[15:58] | Tommy! | 汤米 |
[15:59] | Tommy! Come here! | 汤米 过来 |
[16:01] | Where do you think you’re going? | 你想去哪 |
[16:03] | Come here! | 过来 |
[16:04] | No! | 别 |
[16:05] | Tommy! | 汤米 |
[16:07] | Leave him! | 别碰他 |
[16:17] | I’m looking for Alderman Wintergreen’s office. | 我在找温特格林市议员的办公室 |
[16:19] | Detective Constable Morse, City Police. | 摩斯警员 市警局 |
[16:22] | Patterson? | 帕特森 |
[16:24] | No, name doesn’t ring a bell. | 不 这名字我没印象 |
[16:25] | It’s just… | 但… |
[16:27] | someone said they saw you talking to him | 有人说看到你周六 |
[16:28] | for about ten minutes at the Widows and Orphans on Saturday. | 在遗属慈善庆典上 跟他谈了能有十分钟 |
[16:31] | Gerald must have spoken to a hundred people on Saturday. | 杰拉德周六肯定跟上百人说过话 |
[16:34] | Didn’t you, darling? | 是吧 亲爱的 |
[16:35] | It’s possible he expressed an interest | 他可能是想打听 |
[16:37] | in Landesman Construction. | 兰德斯曼建筑公司 |
[16:39] | Do you remember anyone approaching you to talk about that? | 你记得有人来找你谈这事吗 |
[16:41] | Well, Joe Landesman is a longtime benefactor | 乔·兰德斯曼是遗属慈善基金 |
[16:43] | of the Widows and Orphans, he was here. | 长期的捐助人 他当时也在 |
[16:45] | But I’m afraid I don’t remember your Mr… | 但我并不记得这位… |
[16:48] | Eric Patterson. | 埃里克·帕特森 |
[16:50] | What happened to him? | 他怎么了 |
[16:52] | He appears to have been hit by a train | 他似乎被火车撞死了 |
[16:54] | late on Saturday evening. | 在周六那天晚些时候 |
[16:55] | – Oh, dear. – Appears? | -老天爷 -似乎吗 |
[16:57] | I wouldn’t have thought there to be much doubt | 这种事情 应该没什么 |
[16:59] | with something like that. | 模棱两可的吧 |
[17:01] | We like to be thorough. | 我们总得彻底调查一下 |
[17:02] | Well, good luck with your investigation. | 那祝你调查顺利了 |
[17:05] | But you’ll have to excuse me, I’m due in the chamber. | 但失陪了 我还有会 |
[17:08] | Of course, of course. | 当然 |
[17:10] | Mrs. Wintergreen. | 温特格林太太 |
[17:11] | Not at all. | 不客气 |
[17:22] | Here he is, then. | 他来了 |
[17:23] | What’s this, Fred, missed the alarm? | 怎么 弗莱德 睡过头了吗 |
[17:25] | You’ll find yourself in the late book. | 你要被记迟到了 |
[17:26] | Tea, sir? | 喝茶吗 长官 |
[17:28] | Anything for you, Mr. Chard? | 您呢 查德先生 |
[17:29] | No, no, you’re all right. | 不用了 |
[17:32] | Peter’s a good sergeant, you treat him right. | 彼得是个好警长 你可好好待他 |
[17:35] | So what brings you above ground? | 你怎么从地下钻出来了 |
[17:37] | Didn’t think night watch could venture out in daylight. | 我以为干夜巡的不敢白天出来呢 |
[17:39] | Sworn to, Fred, sworn to. | 当然 弗莱德 |
[17:41] | All come out in the wash, I’m sure. | 什么事都会过去不是吗 |
[17:43] | Well, well. | 哎呦呦 |
[17:44] | If it ain’t the cocky little sod made me look a first class chump | 这不是在扼杀案里害我丢尽颜面的那个 |
[17:47] | in the strangler case. | 得意洋洋的臭小子吗 |
[17:49] | Did you want anything in particular, Hugh? | 你有什么事吗 休 |
[17:51] | Or do you just drop by to admire the furnishings? | 还是专程来欣赏我们的家具的 |
[17:54] | Last quarter’s crime figures, request by division. | 上季度的犯罪数据 警部要求的 |
[17:57] | I put them in on the first of the month generally. | 我一般是每月1日交上去 |
[17:59] | He who pays the piper. | 那你自己担着了 |
[18:01] | They just want me to cast an eye. | 他们就是要我来看看 |
[18:04] | Be this Thames Valley shake-up, I expect. | 应该是因为泰晤士河谷警局改组的事 |
[18:06] | Winds of change. | 风向变化嘛 |
[18:08] | Who knows where the pieces’ll land? | 谁知道尘埃落定时 谁都在哪 |
[18:10] | Well, thanks for these. | 谢谢了 |
[18:13] | Be seeing you. | 后会有期了 |
[18:17] | First class? | 一级 |
[18:18] | Third rate more like. | 三流差不多 |
[18:20] | Whatever he is, you watch yourself. | 不管他是什么 你自己小心点 |
[18:22] | You’ll be all right as long as I’m here, | 只要我在 你就不会有事 |
[18:24] | but when it comes to vindictive, | 但要说睚眦必报的心态 |
[18:25] | Dl Chard’s in a league of his own. | 查德督察简直空前绝后 |
[18:28] | How’d you make out at the council? | 你在市议会进展如何 |
[18:29] | Wintergreen claims he’s never met Patterson. | 温特格林说他没见过帕特森 |
[18:32] | But I’ve someone else to see, | 但我还要去见另一个人 |
[18:33] | so I’m going to have to cry off lunch. | 所以我午餐就不能一起吃了 |
[18:34] | Oh, well, all right. | 好吧 |
[18:36] | Needs must. | 公事要紧 |
[18:54] | Tuesday… | 周二 |
[19:08] | Mr. Landesman? | 兰德斯曼先生 |
[19:10] | Detective Constable Morse, City Police. | 摩斯警员 市警局 |
[19:12] | Your office said I might find you here. | 您办公室那边说您在这里 |
[19:14] | I assume they told you I’d gone to lunch. | 他们应该告诉你我出来吃午饭了吧 |
[19:19] | Well, sit ye down, man. | 坐下吧 伙计 |
[19:20] | Sit ye down. | 坐下吧 |
[19:21] | What can I get you? | 你要来点什么 |
[19:22] | Nothing, thank you. | 不用了 谢谢 |
[19:23] | – Sir. – Thank you, sir. | -先生 -谢谢 |
[19:24] | On duty, is it? | 在执勤 是吗 |
[19:25] | Ah well, I’m sure that’s to be admired. | 这当然是值得敬佩的 |
[19:28] | Let me ask you something… | 我问问你 |
[19:29] | what do you think to motorway service stations? | 你怎么看高速公路服务站 |
[19:32] | That phone’s going to ring in a minute | 那台电话马上就会响了 |
[19:34] | and I’ve got to decide whether to put in for one | 而我要决定是否在塔伯特港旁的 |
[19:36] | on the M4 above Port Talbot. | M4公路上建一个 |
[19:40] | Well, I couldn’t really claim to be an expert… | 我可不是这方面的专家 |
[19:42] | The smart young men I pay to know such things | 我花钱雇的那些聪明的小伙子 |
[19:45] | tell me it’s the future, but I’m not so sure. | 说这是未来 但我不敢确定 |
[19:48] | Do you use them? | 你用那个吗 |
[19:50] | I don’t have a car. | 我没有车 |
[19:53] | But if you did? | 但如果你有呢 |
[19:56] | No matter. | 算了 |
[19:57] | So, what can I do for you? | 那么 找我什么事 |
[20:00] | I wanted to ask you about a journalist | 我想问你关于一名记者的事 |
[20:02] | called Eric Patterson. | 埃里克·帕特森 |
[20:04] | You may have met him at the Widows and Orphans gala. | 你可能在遗属慈善庆典上见到了他 |
[20:08] | I talk to a lot of journalists, | 我可跟好多记者说过话 |
[20:09] | but I don’t recall one bending my ear that day. | 但我不记得那天我跟谁聊过 |
[20:16] | If there’s nothing else I can help you with? | 如果没别的事了的话 |
[20:18] | No, of course, I’ll let you get back to your… | 当然 我不打扰您… |
[20:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[20:25] | Morse? Good heavens! | 摩斯 老天爷 |
[20:27] | What are you doing here? | 你怎么在这儿 |
[20:28] | I’ve been to see Mr. Landesman, sir. | 我去见兰德斯曼先生了 长官 |
[20:30] | May I introduce Detective Constable Morse, sir. | 这位是摩斯警员 长官 |
[20:32] | Assistant Chief Constable Deare. | 这位是助理警察局长迪尔 |
[20:34] | Mr. Bright and I have just been discussing his paper | 布莱特先生和我刚刚在讨论他关于 |
[20:36] | on the merger between county and surrounding forces. | 合并各郡和周边警队的报告 |
[20:38] | Extraordinary piece of work. | 真是一篇杰作 |
[20:41] | Thames Valley. | 泰晤士河谷 |
[20:43] | A new beginning. | 新开始 |
[20:44] | And an ending. | 也是终结 |
[20:45] | That so, but no progress without change. | 是啊 但进步总是需要改变的 |
[20:50] | Well, don’t let us keep you, Morse. | 那我们就不耽搁你了 摩斯 |
[20:53] | Sir, thank you. | 长官 谢谢 |
[20:55] | Mr. Deare. | 迪尔先生 |
[20:58] | Sharp young man. | 机灵的小伙子 |
[21:01] | Type we could do with more of. | 我们需要更多这种人 |
[21:03] | Wouldn’t you say, Reg? | 是不是 雷吉 |
[21:05] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[21:07] | That fatal on the railway, | 那个死在铁路边的 |
[21:08] | you don’t remember seeing him talking to | 你记得在遗属慈善庆典上 |
[21:10] | Alderman Wintergreen at the Widows and Orphans, do you? | 看到他跟温特格林市议员说话吗 |
[21:13] | No, sorry, matey. | 不记得 抱歉 伙计 |
[21:17] | All I managed to pick up on the bush telegraph | 我只听小道消息说 |
[21:19] | was that a certain Dl’s in for a leg up the greasy. | 某个督察要上位了 |
[21:23] | I wish. | 那倒好了 |
[21:24] | No, not Thursday. | 不是瑟斯戴 |
[21:26] | Chard. | 查德 |
[21:27] | DCI, Thames Valley goes through. | 如果泰晤士河谷警局成立 就是高级督察了 |
[21:30] | In operational control of all plainclothes. | 还将管理所有便衣 |
[21:33] | The old man won’t like that, answering to the likes of Chard. | 老爷子不会喜欢的 听命于查德那样的人 |
[21:36] | Put his nose right out of… | 肯定会气得他… |
[21:40] | Loose lips, Constable. | 嘴巴不严 警员 |
[21:42] | And less of the old, if you don’t mind. | 而且别一口一个”老”的 行吗 |
[21:44] | Sir. | 长官 |
[21:46] | Your kid’s gone AWOL again, Tommy Cork. | 那个孩子又跑了 汤米·科克 |
[21:49] | From what his mother’s saying, | 据他妈妈说 |
[21:50] | his old man’s give him a proper larruping. | 他老爸又打他了 |
[22:09] | Tommy? | 汤米 |
[23:08] | This absconder from Farnleigh? | 法穆利监狱的逃犯吗 |
[23:10] | Looks to be, sir. | 看来是的 长官 |
[23:31] | You think the Cork boy took up with Aldridge? | 你觉得小科克跟奥德里奇成了朋友吗 |
[23:34] | Fish and chips for two. | 两人份的炸鱼薯条嘛 |
[23:35] | They weren’t here yesterday, nor was the transistor. | 这个昨天还没有 收音机也是 |
[23:38] | So, where is he? | 那他人呢 |
[23:39] | Why did he run away? | 他为什么跑了 |
[23:40] | Maybe he saw something of what happened to Aldridge? | 或许他看到了奥德里奇是怎么死的 |
[23:42] | Let’s hope he’s still alive. | 希望他还活着 |
[23:44] | Better get down to Farnleigh, | 赶紧去一趟法穆利监狱 |
[23:45] | see if there’s anyone there can shed light. | 看那里有没有人知道内情 |
[23:48] | You’re wasting your time. | 你在浪费时间 |
[23:49] | It’s already been looked at. | 都已经查过了 |
[23:51] | What do you mean it’s been looked at? By whom? | 什么叫查过了 谁查了 |
[23:52] | Police. | 警察啊 |
[23:53] | I took ’em for County. | 我猜是郡警局的 |
[23:55] | When was this? | 什么时候 |
[23:57] | Earlier. | 就早些时候 |
[23:59] | What name did they give? | 他们说叫什么 |
[24:01] | I don’t remember offhand. | 我一下说不上来 |
[24:03] | But it would be in the log book, presumably. | 但登记簿上应该有吧 |
[24:05] | Yes, presumably. | 是应该 |
[24:10] | On your feet, Parker. | 起来 帕克 |
[24:15] | What’s all this about then? | 怎么回事 |
[24:16] | Aldridge. | 奥德里奇 |
[24:17] | Got hisself drowned. | 淹死了 |
[24:20] | Drowned? | 淹死了 |
[24:22] | Did he own a transistor, do you know? | 你知道他有一台收音机吗 |
[24:24] | Yeah, yeah, he did. | 是的 他有 |
[24:24] | You should be in the laundry, shouldn’t you? | 你不是该去洗衣房了吗 |
[24:27] | Get to it, then. | 那快去吧 |
[24:39] | So, where are Aldridge’s things? | 奥德里奇的物品呢 |
[24:43] | I told you, | 我说了 |
[24:45] | your mob took ’em. | 你们的人拿走了 |
[24:46] | I’d be grateful if you could check the entry log | 我希望你能查一下记录 |
[24:48] | as to who that was exactly. | 看是谁拿走了什么 |
[24:51] | I’ll find you when I’ve finished here. | 我在这里看完后就去找你 |
[25:25] | I told you, he ain’t coming. | 我说了 他不会来了 |
[25:31] | What kind of man was Aldridge? | 奥德里奇是什么样的人 |
[25:33] | Frightened. | 惊弓之鸟 |
[25:34] | Woke up most nights screaming. | 经常半夜尖叫着醒来 |
[25:36] | Nervous type. | 神经兮兮 |
[25:38] | Always fiddling with his Roman beads. | 总在拨弄他的念珠 |
[25:39] | He was religious? | 他信教吗 |
[25:41] | He didn’t go to chapel or bother the Sky Pilot overmuch. | 他倒是不怎么去小礼拜堂或是念叨上帝 |
[25:43] | Just his thing with his beads. | 就是喜欢拨弄他的念珠 |
[25:46] | Did he give you any indication he was going to escape? | 你是否看出任何他要越狱的迹象 |
[25:50] | I had an idea. | 我是有所察觉 |
[25:51] | Since Wednesday. | 从周三开始的 |
[25:53] | How’s that? | 怎么说 |
[25:54] | He liked me to read him out the personal columns | 他总要我给他读《牛津邮报》的 |
[25:56] | from the Oxford Mail. | 私人广告 |
[25:57] | You know the sort of thing, | 就是那些 |
[25:58] | “Secondhand ironing board, one careful owner.” | “二手熨衣板 保养得当”什么的 |
[26:00] | “Tall dark stranger would like to meet similar.” | “高大阴沉 寻找姻缘” |
[26:03] | Anyway, this one I read out, George went white as a sheet. | 但有一条 听我读了后 乔治就脸色煞白 |
[26:07] | That night he had the terrors bad. | 那晚他的夜惊很严重 |
[26:08] | I mean worse than I ever seen. | 我从没见过那么严重的 |
[26:10] | Do you remember what it said? | 你记得信息是什么吗 |
[26:12] | Just a bunch of letters, A-P-A or something. | 就是一堆字母 APA什么的 |
[26:15] | I don’t know. | 记不清了 |
[26:17] | You’re sure it was Wednesday? | 你确定是周三吗 |
[26:19] | Oh, positive. | 绝对确定 |
[26:22] | Pineapple chunks, see. | 菠萝罐头 |
[26:23] | – It’s pineapple on a Wednesday. – Parker! | -周三吃菠萝罐头 -帕克 |
[26:27] | Running all the way, Mr. Wainwright. | 这就走 温莱特先生 |
[26:40] | My opposite number at County | 郡警局跟我对等的警官 |
[26:42] | assures me none of his officers have been to Farnleigh. | 向我保证他的手下都没去过法穆利监狱 |
[26:46] | Somebody went in, sir. | 但有人去了 长官 |
[26:46] | The place has been cleared. | 那里都被清空了 |
[26:49] | What makes you think they were County men? | 你为什么认为有郡警局的人去过 |
[26:50] | Prison officer’s impression, sir. | 是狱警猜的 长官 |
[26:52] | They’d have had to sign in, wouldn’t they? | 但他们不是得登记吗 |
[26:54] | Signatures were illegible. | 签名无法辨认 |
[26:56] | Well, I have to say, Chief Constable Standish | 我可得说 斯坦迪什警察局长 |
[26:58] | is none too happy with the perceived slur. | 可不喜欢潦草的字迹 |
[27:03] | Oh, sorry, sir. | 抱歉 长官 |
[27:03] | Assistant Chief Constable Deare, DS Jakes. | 这是迪尔助理警察局长 杰克斯警长 |
[27:08] | Peter, I believe. | 是彼得吧 |
[27:10] | You wanted something? | 有事吗 |
[27:12] | It’s Tommy Cork, sir. | 是汤米·科克 长官 |
[27:13] | We might have a sighting. | 他可能被看到了 |
[27:15] | Hanging around outside the Empire Theater. | 就在帝国剧院外 |
[27:17] | A runaway, sir, ten years old. | 一个10岁的离家儿童 长官 |
[27:18] | He may have seen the murder of this abscondee from Farnleigh. | 他可能目睹了那个法穆利监狱逃犯的被杀 |
[27:21] | I see. | 这样啊 |
[27:22] | The sighting was very sketchy. | 但是不是他不好说 |
[27:24] | Patrol’s been dispatched, it’s probably nothing. | 已经派巡警去了 可能是虚惊一场 |
[27:32] | Drowned? | 淹死的吗 |
[27:33] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:34] | But that doesn’t explain the rest of it. | 但这不足以解释其他的 |
[27:37] | Contusions are consistent with his having taken a sustained beating. | 从挫伤来看 他应该是被好一顿毒打 |
[27:41] | Within an hour or so of his death. | 就在他死前一小时左右 |
[27:45] | Somebody worked him over? | 有人对他用刑了 |
[27:46] | Rather comprehensively. | 下手还挺狠 |
[27:49] | Fractured ribs, ruptured spleen- | 肋骨断裂 脾破裂 |
[27:52] | all while his hands were bound. | 他的手还一直绑着 |
[27:56] | Can you put a time to it? | 你能确定时间吗 |
[27:58] | An hour or two either side of midnight. | 午夜前后一两小时 |
[28:01] | A41 “A41”. | |
[28:03] | The A41, presumably. | A41公路吗[伦敦到别根海特] |
[28:05] | Not that it comes anywhere near Oxford. | 但那离牛津远着呢 |
[28:08] | So where’s he get the coat? | 那他大衣哪来的 |
[28:10] | His coat? What about it? | 大衣 怎么了 |
[28:11] | Well, its not standard prison issue. | 这并非监狱的囚服 |
[28:13] | Stolen? | 偷来的吗 |
[28:14] | Thompson and Beard– Savile Row. | 伦敦萨维尔街汤比服装店的高档货呢 |
[28:16] | They also had a branch in the Broad, | 他们在宽街有分店 |
[28:18] | if memory serves. | 如果我没记错 |
[28:20] | That closed when Adam was a boy. | 但那早关门了 |
[28:24] | What’s that? | 那是什么 |
[28:25] | Laundry tag? | 洗衣签吗 |
[28:26] | Dry cleaning, more likely. | 更可能是干洗 |
[28:28] | See if you can get a local match. | 看能不能在本地找到店家 |
[28:30] | Sir. | 是 长官 |
[28:36] | 乔治·奥德里奇 1949年到1950年 林木堂 1952年到1955年 布伦纳姆谷 1955年到1958年 鲍克斯园 1964年到1967年 法穆利监狱 三年刑期 | |
[28:46] | Sir… | 长官 |
[28:49] | What’s this? | 怎么了 |
[28:51] | The small ad in the Mail that spooked George Aldridge. | 《邮报》那篇吓到了乔治·奥德里奇的广告 |
[28:55] | A41 “A41.” | |
[28:58] | That’s the same as the tattoo on Aldridge’s arm. | 跟奥德里奇胳膊上的文身一样 |
[29:00] | Who placed the ad? | 谁投的广告 |
[29:01] | The Mail are digging it out. | 《邮报》在找了 |
[29:02] | But going through his record, | 但看他的记录 |
[29:04] | Aldridge spent some time at Blenheim Vale, | 奥德里奇曾在布伦纳姆谷待过一阵 |
[29:06] | a residential home for wayward boys. | 那是一个男童教养院 |
[29:08] | Closed in ’55, when Boxgrove opened. | 1955年随鲍克斯园的建立关闭 |
[29:11] | The Blenheim Vale that’s being redeveloped as the new HQ? | 那个被重新开发为我们新总部的布伦纳姆谷吗 |
[29:14] | Miss Frazil said that journalist, Eric Patterson, | 弗雷泽小姐说那个记者 埃里克·帕特森 |
[29:16] | wanted to pick her brains about Landesman Construction. | 想问她对于兰德斯曼建筑公司的看法 |
[29:21] | Two men die within days of each other | 两个人在几日内前后脚死去 |
[29:23] | in suspicious circumstances, | 而且情况可疑 |
[29:24] | each with a connection to Blenheim Vale. | 两人都跟布伦纳姆谷有联系 |
[29:28] | 兰德斯曼控股 新警队 新警局 | |
[30:49] | Hello. | 你好 |
[30:51] | Get away from me. | 离我远点 |
[30:53] | Don’t be alarmed, don’t be alarmed. | 别怕 别紧张 |
[30:54] | I’m a policeman. | 我是警察 |
[30:55] | Detective Constable Morse, City Police. | 摩斯警员 市警局 |
[31:00] | What are you doing here? | 你来干什么 |
[31:01] | Just having a look around. | 就是来看看 |
[31:03] | You? | 你呢 |
[31:05] | I live about a mile through the woods. | 我在林子那边一英里处住 |
[31:08] | Am I in trouble? | 我惹麻烦了吗 |
[31:09] | Not with me. | 我不会找你麻烦 |
[31:11] | I know it’s trespass, I just… | 我知道这是擅闯 我就是… |
[31:13] | It just feels more like a walk in the woods. | 我就是想来林子里走走 |
[31:15] | I can go then? | 我能走了吗 |
[31:39] | What’s the word on Tommy Cork? | 汤米·科克有消息了吗 |
[31:42] | Uniform are scouring the street, but… | 巡警在街上找他 但 |
[31:47] | Someone cleared out George Aldridge’s cell. | 有人清空了乔治·奥德里奇的牢房 |
[31:50] | So if it wasn’t County, then… | 如果不是郡警局 那… |
[31:51] | Who knows? | 谁知道呢 |
[31:53] | When I started, the good blokes all wore blue. | 我入职时 警察还都是好人呢 |
[31:58] | Maybe Mr. Bright’s right– time to go. | 或许布莱特先生说得对 该走了 |
[32:01] | Streamlining, he called it, this merger. | 他称之为精简 这次合并 |
[32:05] | They’ll be looking to make way for a bit of new blood. | 他们会想办法为新鲜血液空出地方来 |
[32:08] | Lump sum if you go voluntary. | 如果你主动点还能多拿钱 |
[32:11] | Retirement? | 退休吗 |
[32:14] | New station, new force? | 新警局 新警队 |
[32:16] | I’m too set in my ways to start over. | 我是个老顽固了 不想重新开始 |
[32:20] | Every dog. | 人都有这一天 |
[32:24] | I’d see you were looked to. | 我会确保有人照顾你的 |
[32:26] | Find someone to take you on | 给你找个好上司 |
[32:27] | and rattle you through your Sergeant’s. | 催着你通过警长考试 |
[32:30] | McNutt maybe? | 或许麦克纳特吧 |
[32:32] | McNutt’s good. | 麦克纳特不错 |
[32:34] | One for the road? | 再喝一杯上路吗 |
[32:37] | I didn’t stay in Oxford to work under McNutt. | 我留在牛津不是想在麦克纳特手下干的 |
[33:00] | “We were together in the armchair by this time. | 我们这时已经一起坐在扶手椅里了 |
[33:03] | “And Wendy plied him with more questions. | 温蒂又向他提出了更多问题 |
[33:07] | ‘”If you don’t live in Kensington Gardens now…’ | “如果你不住在肯辛顿花园了…” |
[33:09] | ‘”Sometimes I do still.’ | “我有时还住那儿” |
[33:13] | ‘”But where do you live mostly now?’ | “但你大部分时候住哪” |
[33:16] | ‘ “With the Lost Boys.” | “跟迷失男孩在一起” |
[33:19] | ‘”Who are they?’ | “那是谁” |
[33:22] | “They are the children who fall out of their perambulators | “他们是因为保姆一时疏忽 |
[33:26] | ‘”When the nurse is looking the other way. | 从婴儿车上掉下来的孩子 |
[33:30] | ‘”If they are not claimed in seven days | 如果七天内 没人来接走他们 |
[33:33] | “They are sent far away to the Neverland to defray expenses.’ | 他们便会被远送去梦幻岛 好节省开支 |
[33:38] | “I am Captain, what fun it must be.’ | 我是他们的队长” “那一定很好玩” |
[33:42] | ‘”Yes, ‘ said cunning Peter, ‘but we are rather lonely. | “是啊” 机灵的彼得说 “但我们挺孤单的 |
[33:47] | ‘”You see we have no female companionship.’ | 我们没有女孩作伴” |
[33:50] | ‘”Are none of the others girls?’ | “其他孩子都不是女孩吗” |
[33:53] | ‘”Oh, no; girls, you know, are much too clever | “不是 女孩都太聪明 |
[33:57] | to fall out of their prams.”‘ | 不会从婴儿车上落下” |
[34:12] | Good morning, sir. | 早上好 先生 |
[34:13] | Morning, Angela. | 早 安吉拉 |
[34:14] | Could you check and see how busy my diary is looking today? | 可以看看我今天的日程多吗 |
[34:16] | Of course. | 好的 |
[34:17] | I’ve the offer of nine holes with Joe Landesman and another pair, | 乔·兰德斯曼还有几个人约我去打高尔夫 |
[34:21] | and I wanted to give him a time. | 我也想去见见他 |
[34:27] | Give you a lift? | 送你一程吗 |
[34:29] | No, thank you. | 不了 谢谢 |
[34:31] | Have a good day. | 祝你今天开心 |
[34:32] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[34:34] | You weren’t yourself last night. | 你昨晚就不在状态 |
[34:36] | Has something happened? | 出什么事了吗 |
[34:38] | It’s a few things. | 好几件事呢 |
[34:40] | Thursday, really. | 瑟斯戴 |
[34:41] | He’s talking about early retirement. | 他在考虑提前退休了 |
[34:45] | It’s got me thinking… | 这让我想… |
[34:48] | What if I wasn’t a policeman anymore? | 如果我不做警察了呢 |
[34:50] | What would you do instead? | 那你要做什么 |
[34:52] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[34:54] | Teacher, maybe? | 老师吗 |
[34:58] | We could go abroad. | 我们可以出国 |
[35:00] | We? | 我们 |
[35:01] | Why not? | 有何不可 |
[35:03] | People do. | 其他人就会这么做 |
[35:04] | Couples. | 一对儿的 |
[35:07] | I’m going to be late. | 我要迟到了 |
[35:15] | “Sir, I would be grateful if you would place | 先生 劳烦您将这则 |
[35:17] | “This personal advertisement in the appropriate section | 私人广告刊登在11月30日周三报纸的 |
[35:19] | of your newspaper on Wednesday, 30th of November. | 恰当版块 感激不尽 |
[35:21] | Message follows: A.P.A.D. A41 | 内容是: APAD A41 |
[35:26] | Arrived Tuesday, second post. | 周二第二批邮件来的 |
[35:28] | Paid for in cash, I’m afraid. | 现金支付的 |
[35:30] | – No signature. – No, but it’s franked. | -没有签名 -但有邮戳 |
[35:32] | Post office should be able to tell me | 邮局应该能告诉我 |
[35:33] | who holds the franking license. | 邮资执照的持有人 |
[35:36] | Is there any news on Eric? | 埃里克的事有进展吗 |
[35:38] | Or of the lad Tommy Cork? | 还有那个汤米·科克 |
[35:39] | None as yet, I’m afraid. | 都没有呢 |
[35:42] | Is there anything in the archive on Blenheim Vale? | 你们档案馆里有布伦纳姆谷的资料吗 |
[35:45] | Nothing that springs to mind. | 我一下想不出什么 |
[35:46] | It’s been shut, what, ten years? | 那里关了有10年了吧 |
[35:48] | Eleven. | 11年 |
[35:49] | There was a… what was it? | 有一桩…什么来着 |
[35:52] | I’ve a vague recollection of a suicide | 我似乎记得那里关闭几年后 |
[35:53] | couple of years after it closed. | 发生了一起自杀 |
[35:55] | A young man hanged himself. | 一个小伙子上吊了 |
[35:57] | You wouldn’t remember a name? | 你记得名字吗 |
[35:59] | I could have a look, send on what we’ve got. | 我可以去看看 把我们的资料给你们发去 |
[36:01] | You’d probably be quicker getting on to County. | 你们不如去郡警局查 可能更快 |
[36:02] | They looked at it– there was nothing there. | 是他们调查的 没什么蹊跷 |
[36:05] | I covered the inquest; it was open and shut. | 我报道了死因调查 非常简单明了 |
[36:07] | Toodle-oo. | 再见了 |
[36:08] | Thank you, Ms. Frazil. | 谢谢 弗雷泽小姐 |
[36:13] | I wonder if it is worth having another go at Landesman. | 是不是该再去找一次兰德斯曼 |
[36:15] | You already braced him over Patterson, haven’t you? | 你不是为帕特森的事问过他了吗 |
[36:17] | Yes, but not George Aldridge. | 是 但没问过乔治·奥德里奇 |
[36:19] | All right, I’m going to dig out Dl Church, | 好吧 我去找彻奇督察 |
[36:21] | see if he can shed any light on the County angle. | 看他在郡警局那边听到过什么没有 |
[36:23] | We can compare notes down the watering hole, right? | 我们回头去酒吧汇总 |
[36:25] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[36:29] | Morse putting it about we cleared Aldridge’s cell | 摩斯非说是我们清空了奥德里奇的牢房 |
[36:31] | has not won him any friends at County, I can promise you. | 郡警局的人对他可印象不佳 相信我 |
[36:34] | Anything in it? | 他说的对吗 |
[36:36] | Not that I’ve heard. | 我是没听说 |
[36:37] | What about Blenheim Vale? | 那布伦纳姆谷呢 |
[36:39] | The new HQ? | 新总部吗 |
[36:42] | Word is a few palms got nicely greased up | 据说 市议会有人收了钱 |
[36:44] | at the Council getting that through. | 还不少 才通过了这事 |
[36:45] | – Like whose, for instance? – Like Wintergreen, for one. | -比如谁 -比如温特格林 |
[36:48] | Wintergreen? | 温特格林 |
[36:50] | Town Hall graft. | 市政厅贪污 |
[36:50] | Came in with the Ark, didn’t it? | 从古至今了 |
[36:53] | What about before that? | 那之前呢 |
[36:55] | When it was a boys’ school? | 做男童院的时候 |
[36:57] | Wasn’t my patch then. | 当时不是我的辖区 |
[36:58] | I didn’t come across till after it’d closed. | 我是在它关闭后才跟那里有交集的 |
[37:00] | I was told there was a lad hanged himself | 我听说八九年前 有个小伙子 |
[37:02] | eight or nine years back. | 在那里上吊自杀了 |
[37:05] | Might’ve done. | 可能吧 |
[37:08] | You couldn’t have a dig around for us, could you? | 你不能替我们查查吗 |
[37:09] | I don’t know, Fred. | 我不知道 弗莱德 |
[37:12] | Some things in our game… sleeping dogs. | 我们这边 有潜藏的危险 |
[37:15] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[37:17] | It means I’m taking a risk even talking to you. | 意思是 光是跟你说话就是在冒险了 |
[37:20] | So why’d you agree to meet? | 那你干吗还答应来 |
[37:22] | ‘Cause there’s nothing they can do to me. | 因为他们也不能把我怎样了 |
[37:23] | I’m putting my papers in. | 我要退休了 |
[37:25] | This time next month it’ll be Inspector Church no longer. | 下个月这时候 就再没有彻奇督察了 |
[37:28] | Plain old Mr. Church. | 就是彻奇先生了 |
[37:32] | I’ve a feeling I won’t mind that one bit. | 我觉得我一点也不会介意 |
[37:35] | All change, Fred. | 都变了 弗莱德 |
[37:37] | Time to go. | 该走了 |
[37:40] | If you do hear anything on Aldridge… | 如果你听说了任何关于奥德里奇的事 |
[37:42] | He’s dead. | 他死了 |
[37:44] | Bury him and forget him. | 埋了他 忘了他吧 |
[37:46] | For your own sake. | 为了你自己好 |
[37:54] | Mr. Landesman? | 兰德斯曼先生 |
[37:56] | Detective Constable… | 你是警员… |
[37:57] | Morse. | 摩斯 |
[38:00] | You know Chief Constable Standish, I take it? | 你认识斯坦迪什警察局长吧 |
[38:03] | And Detective Inspector Chard. | 还有查德督察 |
[38:06] | Detective Constable, what’s this about? | 警员 怎么回事 |
[38:09] | It’s pursuant to an inquiry | 是为了调查 |
[38:11] | into the murder of George Aldridge, sir. | 乔治·奥德里奇被杀一案 长官 |
[38:13] | He is the escapee from Farnleigh Open Prison. | 他是法穆利开放式监狱那个逃犯 |
[38:17] | Did you know him, Mr. Landesman? | 你认识他吗 兰德斯曼先生 |
[38:20] | I’m afraid, as a rule, I don’t seek the society of habitual criminals. | 我恐怕一向不会去钻犯罪圈 |
[38:24] | Present company. | 除了这些老坏蛋 |
[38:28] | He was at Blenheim Vale | 他1950年前后 |
[38:29] | in the late ’40s, early ’50s. | 住在布伦纳姆谷男童院 |
[38:32] | Constable, I buy, sell and develop properties. | 警员 我购买 卖出 开发地产 |
[38:35] | Profit and loss. | 盈利 损失 |
[38:37] | That’s as far as my interest extends. | 我只在乎这些了 |
[38:39] | The history of a place? | 至于那里的历史 |
[38:41] | Who lived there? | 曾经住过什么人 |
[38:43] | I’m afraid that’s none of my business. | 恐怕那跟我无关了 |
[38:47] | Unless there was anything else you wanted to ask, Constable. | 如果你没别的问题了 警员 |
[38:49] | No, Chief Constable Standish, Dl Chard. | 是 斯坦迪什警察局长 查德督察 |
[38:53] | That was all, sir. | 我没别的事了 先生 |
[38:55] | I’m sorry to have interrupted your game. | 很抱歉打扰你们雅兴了 |
[38:58] | Do I detect a note of rebuke? | 你是有责难我们的意思吗 |
[39:01] | You want to watch that rube, eh? | 你可得盯着点这乡下小子 |
[39:03] | Come on, Gerry. | 得了 杰里 |
[39:05] | He’s only doing his job. | 他只是在尽职工作 |
[39:20] | He’ll be back before five. | 他五点前能回来 |
[39:23] | May I give him a message? | 可以给他捎个口信吗 |
[39:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:28] | Do excuse me, sir. | 不好意思 先生 |
[39:30] | Nicholas Myers, junior clerk. | 尼古拉斯·迈耶斯 初级书记官 |
[39:32] | How may I be of service? | 有什么可以帮你的 |
[39:33] | Detective Constable Morse, City Police. | 摩斯警员 市警局 |
[39:35] | A letter was sent from this office a week ago last Monday | 上周一这里寄出了一封信 |
[39:38] | to the Oxford Mail. | 给《牛津邮报》 |
[39:40] | An advert for the personal columns. | 是一则私人广告 |
[39:42] | I was wondering if you might be able to shed any light on that? | 不知你是否能跟我说说此事 |
[39:45] | In what regard, sir? | 怎么说 先生 |
[39:47] | Well, I’m looking to find out who wrote the letter. | 我想知道信是谁写的 |
[39:52] | I see. Then I regret I’m unable to be of any assistance. | 这样啊 那很遗憾 我无法帮您 |
[39:56] | I merely post and frank. | 我只负责寄出去 |
[39:59] | Correspondence is taken care of by the partners’ secretaries. | 信件是合伙人的秘书们负责的 |
[40:04] | Of course, if it relates to a client, | 当然了 如果事关哪位委托人 |
[40:06] | it would be covered by legal confidentiality. | 那将是受保密权保护的 |
[40:08] | That doesn’t seem to be the case. | 应该不是吧 |
[40:10] | This was a private matter. | 这是件私事 |
[40:12] | I see. | 这样啊 |
[40:13] | Well, I can ask the partners, of course, sir. | 我当然可以去问问几位合伙人 先生 |
[40:18] | Well, thank you for your assistance. | 那谢谢你帮忙了 |
[40:21] | Not at all, sir. | 不客气 先生 |
[40:26] | You wouldn’t happen to know a George Aldridge, I suppose? | 你不会认识乔治·奥德里奇吧 |
[40:29] | No. That’s not a name with which I’m familiar. | 不 我不熟悉这个名字 |
[40:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:39] | You see, Alderman, the way things stand, | 市议员 现在的情况是 |
[40:41] | we’ve got you rumored to be on a nice little earner | 我们听到消息 你因为确保了 |
[40:43] | for making sure things went Landesman’s way | 兰德斯曼能拿到布伦纳姆谷的合同 |
[40:45] | on Blenheim Vale. | 而收获颇丰 |
[40:46] | And now a journalist with an interest in Landesman | 而现在 一个盯上了兰德斯曼的记者 |
[40:49] | has turned up dead, | 又死了 |
[40:50] | a journalist last seen talking to you | 这位记者曾被看到在周六的 |
[40:52] | at the Widows and Orphans on Saturday. | 遗属慈善庆典上跟你说话 |
[40:55] | Anything you’d like to tell me about that? | 你有什么想跟我说说的吗 |
[40:58] | Well… that is one heck of a story, I grant you. | 这故事的确精彩 我承认 |
[41:02] | But, sadly, in politics | 但很遗憾 身在政界 |
[41:04] | one attracts that sort of tittle-tattle as a matter of course. | 就难免招来这样的闲话 |
[41:07] | I’m still not exactly sure what is being alleged. | 我还是不确定现在是有怎样的说法 |
[41:11] | Well, you can see how it looks. | 你能理解这会让人怎么想吧 |
[41:13] | My book, thing walks like a duck, and talks like a duck… | 在我看来 如果这事看上去有鼻子有眼… |
[41:17] | – You deny any impropriety? – Naturally. | -你否认有任何不当行为吗 -当然了 |
[41:20] | Where did you come across this particular little gem, | 这说法你是在哪听来的 |
[41:22] | if you don’t mind my asking? | 如果你不介意我问 |
[41:24] | I’m just off, then, Mr. Wintergreen. | 我要走了 温特格林先生 |
[41:26] | Good night, Angela. | 晚安 安吉拉 |
[41:27] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[41:33] | I am a man of considerable private means, Inspector. | 我是个富有的人 督察 |
[41:39] | But I’ll tell you what I put a price on far beyond rubies… | 但有些东西对我比金银财宝更珍贵 |
[41:44] | My good name. | 我的清誉 |
[41:46] | You say I’d put this at risk. | 你觉得我会拿这个冒险吗 |
[41:49] | For what? | 为了什么呢 |
[41:51] | A pocketful of change? | 就一笔小钱吗 |
[41:55] | Really? | 不是吧 |
[42:04] | Sir. | 长官 |
[42:05] | How did you make out with Wintergreen? | 跟温特格林谈得怎么样 |
[42:06] | He’s a slippery customer, but that’s hardly… | 他挺狡猾 但这也不… |
[42:09] | The hell are you doing with those? | 你怎么拿着那个 |
[42:11] | They should be on the exhibits desk at the nick. | 那个该在警局的证据台上 |
[42:13] | The way things have been going missing lately, | 因为最近常有东西丢失 |
[42:14] | I thought they’d be safer in my pocket. | 我觉得还不如放我兜里安全 |
[42:15] | Besides, I think I’ve got something. | 而且 我可能有发现 |
[42:17] | Got what? | 什么 |
[42:18] | Well, the beads. | 念珠 |
[42:19] | It’s not just a random arrangement– it’s a code. | 并非随机排列的 是个密码 |
[42:21] | Radioteletype to be specific. | 准确说是无线电电传打字机 |
[42:23] | Morse? | 摩斯密码吗 |
[42:26] | Black for dots, white for dashes, | 黑色是· 白色是— |
[42:28] | and red to mark the word breaks. | 红色是断句 |
[42:30] | It spells out “All for one, and one for all.” | 拼出来是”人人为我 我为人人” |
[42:32] | The Three Musketeers. | 《三个火枪手》 |
[42:35] | So that’s what the tattoo meant on George Aldridge’s arm. | 那就是乔治·奥德里奇胳膊上文身的含义 |
[42:37] | A41… all for one. | A41 人人为我 |
[42:39] | What about the rest of it? | 那剩下的呢 |
[42:41] | A.P.A.D., wasn’t it? | APAD 是吧 |
[42:43] | Athos, Porthos, Aramis, | 阿多斯 波多斯 阿拉米斯 |
[42:44] | and D’Artagnian, presumably. | 和达达尼昂 火枪手的名字 |
[42:46] | So which one was George Aldridge? | 那乔治·奥德里奇是哪个 |
[42:48] | More to the point, who are the other three? | 更要紧的是 其他三个人是谁 |
[42:54] | Hello? | 喂 |
[42:55] | Nick, it’s Henry. | 尼克 是亨利 |
[42:58] | Yes. | 好 |
[42:59] | See you there. | 那里见 |
[43:10] | Where are you going? | 你去哪 |
[43:13] | You know where I’m going. | 你清楚我去哪 |
[43:15] | Can I come too? | 我能一起去吗 |
[43:19] | No. | 不能 |
[43:22] | Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do. | 别做我不会做的事 |
[44:00] | Who found him? | 谁发现他的 |
[44:01] | His secretary, Mrs. McGarrett. | 他的秘书 麦克加勒特太太 |
[44:05] | Dr. DeBryn? | 德布林医生 |
[44:07] | Good God, it’s true, then. | 老天爷啊 是真的 |
[44:10] | We were at Division when we heard. | 我们在警部听说的 |
[44:12] | Time? | 死亡时间 |
[44:13] | Sometime between 10:00 last night | 昨晚10点到 |
[44:14] | and 1:00 this morning. | 凌晨1点间 |
[44:16] | Oh, Jesus… | 天啊 |
[44:19] | You all right? | 你没事吧 |
[44:20] | Yes, sir. | 没事 长官 |
[44:22] | You don’t look it. | 你看上去不太好 |
[44:23] | Something I ate. | 吃错东西了 |
[44:26] | Statements and particulars from anyone | 去找可能看到什么的人 |
[44:28] | who may have seen anything– | 录口供 问个人信息 |
[44:29] | anyone working late, | 加班的人 |
[44:30] | councilors, cleaners. | 议员 清洁工 |
[44:31] | – Right, sir. – Sir. | -好 长官 -是 长官 |
[44:33] | Had you worked long for the Alderman? | 你为市议员工作很久了吗 |
[44:35] | Two years. | 两年了 |
[44:36] | What do you make to his wife? | 你怎么看他妻子 |
[44:38] | She’s always been perfectly charming towards me. | 她一向对我很好 |
[44:42] | Are there any children? | 他们有孩子吗 |
[44:44] | No. | 没有 |
[44:47] | And when did you see him last? | 你最后见他是什么时候 |
[44:49] | Yesterday evening at 5:30 when I finished work. | 昨天晚上我5:30下班时 |
[44:53] | How did he seem? | 他看上去如何 |
[44:55] | His normal self. | 就像往常一样 |
[44:57] | Busy, never too busy for a quick word and a cheerio. | 忙碌 但还是有空说两句 道个别 |
[45:01] | And then after work you went where? | 下班后你去了哪 |
[45:04] | Home. | 回家 |
[45:07] | Your husband will confirm that? | 你丈夫能证实吗 |
[45:09] | My father. | 我父亲能 |
[45:11] | We share a house together. | 我们一起住 |
[45:13] | I’m widowed, these three years. | 我是个寡妇 三年了 |
[45:15] | I’m sorry. | 我很遗憾 |
[45:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[45:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[45:37] | Morse, a moment. | 摩斯 来一下 |
[45:44] | This assertion of yours that | 你断言 |
[45:48] | officers may have been into Farnleigh | 可能有警察去了法穆利监狱 |
[45:49] | and cleared George Aldridge’s cell. | 清空了乔治·奥德里奇的牢房 |
[45:51] | I’ve made some discreet inquiries of my own. | 我也低调地查了查 |
[45:54] | You think there’s something untoward at County? | 您觉得郡警局有什么问题吗 |
[45:57] | The rot goes deeper and wider than that. | 腐败的范围和程度要更严重些 |
[45:59] | Even to your own station. | 你自己的警局里也有 |
[46:01] | You’ve raised doubts this year yourself | 你今年也提出过质疑 |
[46:02] | over evidence going missing. | 因为有证据消失 |
[46:05] | Yes, I have, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[46:07] | There was a notebook pertaining to the Frida Yelland case. | 弗丽达·亚兰德案里有本笔记本不见 |
[46:10] | And a ring-a Masonic ring– connected to Blythe Mount, | 布莱斯山案里有枚共济会戒指也不见了 |
[46:13] | the school out at Slepe. | 那所斯利普的女校 |
[46:14] | Dark forces, Morse, | 黑暗势力 摩斯 |
[46:17] | which must be dragged into the light. | 必须被拖到阳光下 |
[46:18] | Torn out, root and branch. | 斩草除根 |
[46:22] | Bad apples? | 害群之马吗 |
[46:26] | The Commissioner’s asked me to get to the bottom of it | 警察局长叫我彻查此事 |
[46:28] | as a matter of priority. | 并作为头等要务 |
[46:29] | But I need two men I can trust to do the legwork. | 但我需要两个我能信任的人替我跑腿 |
[46:32] | We’ve a chance here– a real chance… | 我们现在有机会 真正的机会 |
[46:35] | to clean the stables once and for all. | 彻底扫除腐败 |
[46:36] | Make Thames Valley something worth fighting for. | 让泰晤士河谷警局值得我们为之奋斗 |
[46:40] | Sir, do you think it’s connected | 长官 您觉得此事 |
[46:41] | to the death of Alderman Wintergreen, | 跟温特格林市议员之死有关吗 |
[46:43] | or the disappearance of Tommy Cork? | 还有汤米·科克的失踪 |
[46:45] | I can’t say it chimes with my intelligence, | 虽然我没得到这样的情报 |
[46:47] | though anything’s possible. | 但一切都有可能 |
[46:48] | Whatever comes your way on the Aldridge case, | 不管你在奥德里奇案上发现了什么 |
[46:49] | you report directly to me at Division. | 都直接报告到警部给我 |
[46:51] | Any time, night or day. | 随时随地 不分日夜 |
[46:54] | We can break them, the three of us. | 我们三个可以击败他们 |
[47:08] | Did he have any enemies that you can think of? | 你是否能想到他有任何敌人 |
[47:12] | Gerry was in local government. | 杰里是本地政府成员 |
[47:13] | Rivalries, perhaps, but nothing to warrant something like this. | 可能难免有争斗 但绝不至于如此 |
[47:17] | He had a very winning personality. | 他的个性很有亲和力 |
[47:19] | But with the public? | 那公众呢 |
[47:21] | There was the odd crank, of course. | 偶尔难免遇到些怪人 |
[47:23] | The Green Ink Brigade, Gerald called them. | 杰拉德喊他们绿墨军团 |
[47:26] | Though for the most part, people adored him. | 但大部分人是敬爱他的 |
[47:29] | He played the organ, you know. | 他还弹管风琴呢 |
[47:32] | And the piano. | 还有钢琴 |
[47:34] | People loved to hear him. | 大家喜欢听他弹 |
[47:36] | This Green Ink Brigade… | 这个绿墨军团 |
[47:41] | were there ever any threats made against him? | 有人给他寄过威胁信吗 |
[47:44] | Neither more nor less than his colleagues received. | 并不比他同事收到的威胁信多或少 |
[47:46] | Nonsense most of it. | 大都很无聊 |
[47:48] | People exercised about roads, or housing. | 就是为公路或房屋的事发牢骚 |
[47:52] | Did he ever mention the name George Aldridge to you? | 他对你提过乔治·奥德里奇这个名字吗 |
[47:56] | It’s not a name with which I’m familiar. | 我不熟悉这个名字 |
[47:59] | All I can tell you is my husband’s life | 我只能说 我丈夫的一生 |
[48:01] | was one lived beyond reproach. | 是无可指摘的 |
[48:04] | Why anyone would… | 为何有人会… |
[48:07] | It’s past fathoming. | 我无法理解 |
[48:15] | What do you reckon to this business with Deare? | 你怎么看迪尔的事 |
[48:19] | Something rotten is happening at County. | 郡警局的确有问题 |
[48:21] | And the town hall too. | 市政厅也是 |
[48:23] | Look, I’d better report to Bright. | 我最好向布莱特报告一下 |
[48:25] | See if you can get a statement off Landesman | 你去找兰德斯曼录个口供 |
[48:27] | and meet me back here. | 然后回来找我 |
[48:28] | Why, do you think Landesman is involved? | 怎么 你觉得这事跟兰德斯曼有关吗 |
[48:30] | If what Church says about the backhanders holds water, | 如果彻奇说的回扣的事是真的 |
[48:32] | who knows? | 谁知道呢 |
[48:34] | Maybe they had a falling out over spoils. | 或许他们因为分赃不均而闹掰了 |
[48:36] | I told you both Wintergreen and Landesman | 我跟你说了 温特格林和兰德斯曼 |
[48:38] | were playing golf with Dl Chard and Chief Constable Standish. | 跟查德督察和斯坦迪什警察局长一起打高尔夫 |
[48:42] | Deare said it went deeper and wider than we knew. | 迪尔不是说腐败范围和程度比我们想的严重吗 |
[48:45] | What if it goes higher, too? | 如果还延伸至更高层呢 |
[48:47] | Then you’d better mind how you go. | 那你可要行事小心了 |
[48:54] | You are here about Gerry. | 你是为了杰里的事来的吧 |
[48:56] | What happened to him? | 他到底是怎么了 |
[48:56] | Beyond he was murdered, we can’t really say. | 除了知道他被杀了 别的还不好说 |
[48:58] | You were close, I understand. | 你们关系不错吧 |
[49:00] | We’d certainly known one another many years. | 我们是认识很多年了 |
[49:03] | Gerry was a man of exceptional qualities. | 杰里是个出众的人 |
[49:06] | Such as? | 怎么说 |
[49:08] | He had… | 他… |
[49:09] | well, it’s often overused, but Gerry had it. | 这话虽然被说烂了 但杰里确实如此 |
[49:13] | You know, the, um… | 就是… |
[49:16] | popular touch. | 亲民 |
[49:17] | He really did. | 真的 |
[49:19] | I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been with him… | 你不知道有多少次我们在一起时 |
[49:22] | in the street, or at some function or other… | 走在街上 或参加某项活动 |
[49:25] | everyone wanted to talk to Gerry. | 大家都想找杰里说话 |
[49:28] | And he was very good with that, | 他也擅长那个 |
[49:30] | very generous with his time. | 愿意花时间听人说话 |
[49:32] | Money too, of course. | 他在钱方面也很慷慨 |
[49:33] | What about enemies? | 那敌人呢 |
[49:36] | None that come to mind. | 我是想不到 |
[49:38] | I’ll need an account of your whereabouts yesterday evening. | 我需要知道你昨天晚上的行踪 |
[49:41] | I was working late at the office. | 我在办公室里加班 |
[49:44] | Alone. | 独自一人 |
[49:45] | Will anyone vouch for you? | 有人能为你作证吗 |
[49:47] | “Alone” would seem to suggest not. | “独自一人”不就是没有吗 |
[50:13] | 乔治·奥德里奇 9岁 本·托普林 8岁 尼古拉斯·迈耶斯 10岁 | |
[50:38] | Sir? | 长官 |
[50:41] | Sir, there’s an account in this punishment book of an attempted arson | 长官 那本惩罚记录里 记载了一起纵火未遂 |
[50:45] | George Aldridge and five other boys committed there. | 是乔治·奥德里奇和另五个男孩在那里干的 |
[50:47] | One of his co-accused was Ben Topling. | 另一个一同纵火的孩子是本·托普林 |
[50:49] | – Who? – Him. | -谁 -他 |
[50:51] | The same was on the wall of Aldridge’s cell. | 奥德里奇墙上也贴了这幅海报 |
[50:56] | Shan’t keep you. | 我就来 |
[50:59] | There’s no rush. | 不急 |
[51:02] | I have to say, it’s very impressive. | 我得说 这真是厉害 |
[51:05] | How do you do it? | 你怎么做到的 |
[51:06] | Practice. | 练习嘛 |
[51:07] | Till your throat bleeds. | 练到喉咙流血 |
[51:09] | I had a speech impediment at school | 我上学时 有言语障碍 |
[51:11] | and the man who treated me… | 治疗我的人… |
[51:12] | Don’t touch him! | 别碰他 |
[51:14] | He doesn’t… | 他不… |
[51:15] | sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, | 抱歉 我无意失礼 |
[51:18] | but the mechanism is delicate. | 但里面的构造挺精妙的 |
[51:22] | Sorry, what did you want to ask? | 抱歉 你们想问什么来着 |
[51:28] | You attended Blenheim Vale | 你1950年代初 |
[51:31] | for several years in the early ’50s, is that right? | 曾在布伦纳姆谷居住 是吧 |
[51:36] | You are Benjamin Arnold Topling, | 你是本杰明·阿诺德·托普林吧 |
[51:40] | date of birth 23rd of the 6th, 1938. | 1938年6月23日生 |
[51:44] | You got the wrong man, copper! | 你们找错人了 警察 |
[51:45] | You’ll never take me alive, see! | 你们别想活捉我 |
[51:47] | This is a serious investigation, Mr. Topling. | 这可是严肃的调查 托普林先生 |
[51:50] | It’s no laughing matter. | 不是玩笑 |
[51:51] | No, of course. | 当然 |
[51:53] | I’m sorry. It’s a… | 对不起 |
[51:54] | nervous habit. | 紧张时的习惯 |
[51:56] | You’ve got nothing to be nervous about. | 你不必紧张什么 |
[51:59] | Unless you’ve done something wrong. | 除非你做了坏事 |
[52:00] | I haven’t. | 我没有 |
[52:00] | Liar! | 撒谎 |
[52:02] | We can continue this down the station if you’d prefer. | 如果你想 我们可以回警局继续 |
[52:04] | Just the three of us. | 就我们三个人 |
[52:06] | It’s fine. | 没事的 |
[52:06] | Clyde… please. | 克莱德 别这样 |
[52:09] | Please. | 别这样 |
[52:09] | All right, already! | 好啦好啦 |
[52:11] | Not another word. | 再不说了 |
[52:13] | Please, ask me what you like. | 请尽管问吧 |
[52:15] | My lips are sealed. | 我绝不说话 |
[52:19] | Quiet as the grave. | 像死人一样安静 |
[52:25] | Our records show that you were at Blenheim Vale | 根据我们的记录 你在布伦纳姆谷时 |
[52:27] | the same time as George Aldridge. | 乔治·奥德里奇也在那儿 |
[52:30] | Not that I remember. | 我不记得了 |
[52:33] | He had a poster for this show on his wall. | 他墙上贴了这节目的海报 |
[52:36] | Why might that be? | 那是为什么呢 |
[52:37] | What’s the matter, Benny Boy? | 怎么了 小本尼 |
[52:39] | Cat got your t-t-t-tongue? | 说不出话了吗 |
[52:42] | It’s a popular show. | 这节目很受欢迎 |
[52:44] | Oh, you think that’s the only reason? | 仅仅是因为这个吗 |
[52:46] | I can’t say. | 我不能说 |
[52:47] | That’s not good enough. | 那可不行 |
[52:48] | George Aidridge was murdered. | 乔治·奥德里奇被人杀害了 |
[52:50] | And we’ve a boy missing who may’ve seen something. | 现在还有个可能目睹了什么的男孩失踪了 |
[52:53] | A boy? | 男孩 |
[52:54] | Tommy Cork. | 汤米·科克 |
[52:55] | He’s ten years old. | 他才10岁 |
[52:57] | If whoever did for Aldridge knows the child was witness, | 如果杀奥德里奇的人知道这孩子是个目击者 |
[52:59] | he could be in mortal danger. | 那他就可能有生命危险 |
[53:01] | If you know anything at all… | 如果你知道什么… |
[53:03] | I can’t say. | 我不能说 |
[53:06] | Mr. Topling… | 托普林先生 |
[53:10] | Mr. Topling! | 托普林先生 |
[53:11] | Leave him alone! | 别烦他了 |
[53:12] | He’s telling the truth. | 他说的是实话 |
[53:14] | He’s scared for his life, can’t you see that? | 他是怕自己小命不保 你们还不懂吗 |
[53:17] | Scared of what? | 怕什么 |
[53:18] | Not what, dummy– who. | 不是什么 傻瓜 是谁 |
[53:21] | There’s things in that haunted maze of a mind he can’t admit. | 他那凌乱不安的大脑里有他不敢承认的东西 |
[53:25] | Not even to himself. | 哪怕是对自己 |
[53:27] | When he says he can’t say, he means just that. | 他说不能说 就是真不能说 |
[53:31] | He can’t say. | 他无法说出口 |
[53:36] | But I can. | 但我能 |
[53:40] | If you two are on the level | 如果你俩是来真的 |
[53:41] | and you really want to know about Blenheim Vale, | 如果你们真想知道布伦纳姆谷的事 |
[53:44] | ask Doc Fairbridge. | 去找菲尔布里奇医生 |
[54:05] | Detective Constable Morse? | 摩斯警员 |
[54:07] | Mrs. McGarrett. | 麦克加勒特太太 |
[54:08] | I’m sorry, madam, there must be some mistake. | 抱歉 女士 我们可能搞错了 |
[54:10] | We were looking for Dr. Fairbridge. | 我们是来找菲尔布里奇医生的 |
[54:13] | That’ll be Dad. | 那是我爸爸 |
[54:15] | Would you like to come in? | 你们进来吧 |
[54:19] | Blenheim Vale was only on my list for a few years. | 布伦纳姆谷 我只负责了几年 |
[54:22] | From ’51 to about ’55. | 1951年到1955年 |
[54:26] | When it closed. | 那年关闭的 |
[54:28] | We lived off the Woodstock Road | 我们就住在伍斯托克路旁 |
[54:29] | adjacent to the grounds. | 离那里很近 |
[54:31] | What do you think he meant by “ask Doc Fairbridge”? | 你觉得他说”去找菲尔布里奇医生”是什么意思 |
[54:35] | I’ve no idea. | 我不知道 |
[54:37] | Truly, there’s nothing to tell. | 真的 没什么好说的 |
[54:38] | It was just a run-of-the-mill establishment. | 那就是个寻常得不能再寻常的地方 |
[54:41] | I looked to any medical concerns the boys had. | 我只是负责照顾孩子们的医疗需求 |
[54:44] | Vaccinations and so forth. | 打个疫苗什么的 |
[54:45] | Mumps, measles, whooping cough. | 腮腺炎 麻疹 百日咳 |
[54:48] | And, of course, all the usual cuts, bumps and bruises. | 当然 还负责一般的磕磕碰碰 |
[54:53] | Do you remember a George Aldridge? | 你记得一位乔治·奥德里奇吗 |
[54:56] | I’m afraid not. | 恐怕不 |
[54:58] | Yes, you do, Dad. | 你当然记得 爸爸 |
[54:59] | He used to come over the fence and play with us sometimes. | 他有时会翻过栅栏 跟我们一起玩 |
[55:02] | Did he? | 是吗 |
[55:04] | I’ll have to take your word for it. | 那我相信你的话了 |
[55:06] | Though for the life of me I can’t picture him. | 但我真想不起他 |
[55:11] | I’m on call. | 我在当班 |
[55:12] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[55:16] | I’m sure we’ve a photograph of him somewhere. | 我们应该保留了他的照片 |
[55:18] | I can dig it out, if that would be useful. | 我能去找找 能帮上你们吗 |
[55:21] | If it wouldn’t be too much trouble. | 如果不太麻烦你的话 |
[55:23] | I can’t guarantee that, | 这不好说 |
[55:25] | but I’ll certainly let you know as soon as I’ve found it. | 但如果我找到了就马上通知你们 |
[55:34] | Thank you very much, Mrs. McGarrett. | 非常感谢 麦克加勒特太太 |
[55:56] | Did you mean it? | 你是真心的吗 |
[55:58] | Teaching? | 教书 |
[55:58] | Packing it all in? Going abroad? | 辞职 去国外 |
[56:00] | Yes. | 是的 |
[56:01] | It just you say things… | 就是 你会说些话 |
[56:04] | Sometimes you sound like you mean them and others, like… | 有时你听上去似乎很认真 但… |
[56:07] | Like when I’ve got two, maybe three murders | 我还要考虑两起 可能是三起凶案 |
[56:09] | and a missing child to think about? | 和一个失踪儿童吗 |
[56:12] | I just don’t want you to think | 我不希望你觉得 |
[56:14] | I’m making you do anything you don’t want to. | 我在逼你做什么你不想做的事 |
[56:15] | I know, I don’t. | 我知道 我没那么觉得 |
[56:18] | You really want to leave? | 你真想离开吗 |
[56:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[56:21] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[56:23] | Just not on my account. | 但别为了我 |
[56:26] | No, I’ll put my papers in, I promise. | 不是 我真的会递辞呈 |
[56:28] | Soon as it’s over. | 事情一结束就递 |
[56:29] | When the hurly burly’s done. | 等一切都尘埃落定 |
[56:36] | Maybe we could talk about it tonight? | 或许我们今晚可以聊聊 |
[56:39] | Again? | 还聊吗 |
[56:40] | What’s to say? | 还有什么可说的 |
[56:42] | It’s done. | 都决定了 |
[56:45] | Will you lock up? | 你锁门吧 |
[56:55] | Mrs. Wintergreen’s turned up a pile of letters | 温特格林太太在她丈夫的旧公文包里 |
[56:57] | in her husband’s old briefcase, this Green Ink Brigade. | 翻出了一叠信 这个绿墨军团的 |
[57:00] | She say what’s in them? | 她说内容是什么了吗 |
[57:01] | Mostly complaining about the sale of Blenheim Vale to Landesman. | 大都是在抱怨把布伦纳姆谷卖给兰德斯曼 |
[57:04] | Turns out Wintergreen had the casting vote on the council | 原来这事在市议会通过时 决定性一票 |
[57:06] | when it went through. | 是温特格林投的 |
[57:07] | I said I’d take a run up there with Jakes. | 我要跟杰克斯去那里问问 |
[57:09] | Where are you? | 你去哪 |
[57:10] | Meeting Angela McGarrett in town. | 去镇上见安吉拉·麦克加勒特 |
[57:12] | That photograph of George Aldridge. | 拿乔治·奥德里奇的照片 |
[57:13] | – Pick up sticks after lunch, then. – Sir. | -那午饭后再见了 -是 长官 |
[57:17] | Dad didn’t approve of me | 爸爸不喜欢我 |
[57:18] | playing with the boys from Blenheim Vale. | 跟布伦纳姆谷的男孩一起玩 |
[57:20] | We used to sneak away into the woods | 我们以前会趁大人不注意 |
[57:21] | when the grownups weren’t looking. | 偷偷溜进林子里 |
[57:23] | Did you keep in touch with any of them after you moved away? | 你搬走后 还跟他们任何人有联系吗 |
[57:26] | No. | 没有 |
[57:27] | I hadn’t thought of it in years. | 我都好多年没想过这事了 |
[57:29] | And then I bumped into Henry last summer in the High. | 然后去年夏天我在主街碰到了亨利 |
[57:32] | Henry Portmore. | 亨利·波特莫 |
[57:34] | He’s some sort of academic at Pellam now. | 现在好像是佩勒姆的学者了 |
[57:36] | Married. | 结婚了 |
[57:37] | To Hilary Spencer. | 妻子是希拉里·斯宾塞 |
[57:39] | They’ve a little boy. | 他们还有个儿子 |
[57:41] | So, there’s one happy ending. | 总算是有一个幸福的 |
[57:44] | Hilary’s brother Ed had a nervous breakdown | 希拉里的哥哥爱德精神崩溃 |
[57:47] | and hanged himself. | 上吊自尽了 |
[57:49] | From a tree at Blenheim Vale. | 在布伦纳姆谷的一棵树上 |
[57:54] | Ed Spencer was the first boy I ever kissed. | 爱德·斯宾塞是我的初吻呢 |
[57:58] | It wasn’t a grownup kiss, of course. | 当然不是成年人那样的吻 |
[58:00] | We were too young to know about that. | 我们太小 不会懂那个 |
[58:02] | Just a peck. | 就是轻轻一啄 |
[58:04] | But one remembers it all the same. | 但你还是会记得 |
[58:09] | Why did you tell me you didn’t know George Aldridge? | 你为什么告诉我你不认识乔治·奥德里奇 |
[58:20] | What happened at Blenheim Vale? | 在布伦纳姆谷发生了什么 |
[58:23] | There were five… six of us. | 我们一共五六个人 |
[58:25] | And Petey, Petey Williams. | 还有彼得 彼得·威廉姆斯 |
[58:29] | We weren’t bad lads. | 我们不坏 |
[58:31] | Not really. | 没那么坏 |
[58:32] | Just kids. | 我们就是孩子 |
[58:34] | Orphans, some of us. | 有些人是孤儿 |
[58:35] | Others just had a knack of getting into trouble. | 有些只是爱惹麻烦 |
[58:39] | Somehow we all ended up at Blenheim Vale. | 反正我们最后都被送去了布伦纳姆谷 |
[58:42] | So Me, George, Benny, Ed, Henry | 我 乔治 本尼 爱德 亨利 |
[58:46] | and the two Petes. | 还有两个彼得 |
[58:48] | Big Pete, Little Pete. | 大彼得 小彼得 |
[58:52] | We were a gang, I suppose. | 我们算是个小帮派吧 |
[58:55] | Not so much Little Pete; | 小彼得不算 |
[58:56] | he was a bit younger, but we used to let him tag along. | 他年纪更小 但我们还是让他跟着 |
[58:59] | Little Pete what? | 小彼得姓什么 |
[59:02] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得了 |
[59:03] | He wasn’t there for very long. | 他没待多久就走了 |
[59:06] | Kids came and went. | 小孩子总是来了又走 |
[59:07] | It was tough, you know? | 因为条件很差 |
[59:10] | Cold water and cross country. | 只有冷水 那地方也偏远 |
[59:13] | But you had each other. | 但我们拥有彼此 |
[59:14] | And that is how you got through. | 就可以克服生活的困难 |
[59:16] | And Big Pete was our leader for want of a better word. | 大彼得可以说是我们的小头头 |
[59:21] | Then this new bloke turned up. | 然后新来了个人 |
[59:24] | Do-gooder, had all these new ideas. | 慈善家 有很多新点子 |
[59:26] | Put a bit of money into the place– | 花钱改造了那里 |
[59:28] | sports equipment and so forth. | 购置了些运动设施什么的 |
[59:30] | Set a lot of store by physical fitness, “improving” weekends. | 非常看重身体素质 提倡”健身”周末 |
[59:35] | We had to meet him in the car down the end of the lane. | 我们要去街道尽头的车里见他 |
[59:38] | He drove us somewhere | 他开车带我们去一些地方 |
[59:40] | guest house, hotel, whatever it was. | 小旅馆 酒店之类的 |
[59:44] | Things happened there. | 然后在那里发生了一些事 |
[59:45] | Awful, terrible things. | 非常糟糕 可怕的事 |
[59:53] | We paid him back, though. | 但我们也报复了他 |
[59:56] | Or we thought we had. | 至少我们以为自己做到了 |
[59:57] | Go on, Pete. | 去吧 彼得 |
[1:00:00] | Go on. | 去啊 |
[1:00:14] | They had an idea of who did it, but they can not prove it. | 他们猜到了是谁干的 但没法证明 |
[1:00:18] | We all got stuck on half rations. | 我们的口粮被减了一半 |
[1:00:20] | Maybe somebody squealed, but however it went… | 或许有人告密了吧 反正… |
[1:00:25] | One weekend Big Pete went off. | 有个周末 大彼得跑了 |
[1:00:28] | We all knew where he’d gone, | 我们都知道他去了哪 |
[1:00:29] | only this time he never came back. | 但这次 他再也没回来 |
[1:00:34] | They said he’d been transferred. | 他们说他转走了 |
[1:00:37] | You didn’t try to find him? | 你们没有找过他吗 |
[1:00:38] | Of course we did. | 当然找过 |
[1:00:40] | After we left, we tried. | 我们离开后 找过他 |
[1:00:42] | Nothing, no record. | 一无所获 没有记录 |
[1:00:44] | Did you go the police? | 你们报警了吗 |
[1:00:45] | Oh, yeah. | 报了 |
[1:00:48] | I told him not to; George went. | 我让他不要去 但乔治还是去了 |
[1:00:51] | Spilled the whole story. | 他把整件事都说了出去 |
[1:00:52] | What happened? | 然后呢 |
[1:00:53] | They told him not to tell lies. | 他们叫他不要说谎 |
[1:00:58] | Not so long after that | 然后没过多久 |
[1:01:00] | he started getting into proper trouble with the law. | 他就开始犯法了 |
[1:01:03] | Before the last time he was sent down, | 在他最后一次入狱前 |
[1:01:06] | the rest of us made a vow, | 我们剩下的人定下誓约 |
[1:01:09] | if ever one of us was ever in trouble… | 如果我们中有人陷入麻烦 |
[1:01:13] | You’d put an ad in the personal column of the Mail. | 就在《邮报》上登私人广告 |
[1:01:16] | Anyone that saw it, | 如果有人看到了 |
[1:01:18] | no matter where they were or what they were doing, | 无论他们在哪里 做什么 |
[1:01:20] | was honor bound, | 都要出于道义 |
[1:01:22] | if they could, to attend a pow-wow within the next seven days. | 尽可能在七天之内参加会面 |
[1:01:26] | So why did you place the ad now? | 那你为什么现在登了广告 |
[1:01:30] | Couple of weeks back, | 几周以前 |
[1:01:33] | this journalist comes by out of the blue. | 一个记者突然出现 |
[1:01:36] | Bloke called Patterson, Eric Patterson. | 他叫帕特森 埃里克·帕特森 |
[1:01:39] | He’d heard rumors about what went on out at Blenheim Vale, | 他听说了关于布伦纳姆谷的传言 |
[1:01:43] | said he’d been looking into it for a while. | 说他调查此事已经有一段时间了 |
[1:01:46] | What did you tell him? | 你和他说什么了 |
[1:01:47] | Nothing. | 什么都没说 |
[1:01:49] | I told him I couldn’t help him. | 我告诉他我帮不上忙 |
[1:01:51] | I put it out of my mind, or tried to. | 我把这事忘了 努力去忘了 |
[1:01:55] | And then I got a visit. | 然后又有人登门 |
[1:01:57] | From whom? | 谁 |
[1:01:58] | Your lot, asking after Patterson. | 你们的人 来问帕特森的事 |
[1:02:01] | So I denied any knowledge. | 我表示自己完全不知情 |
[1:02:03] | They said if he did come by, I should let them know. | 他们说如果帕特森来过 我得告诉他们 |
[1:02:08] | I didn’t know what to do. | 我不知道该怎么办 |
[1:02:11] | So you put an ad in the Mail. | 所以你在《邮报》上登了广告 |
[1:02:14] | Who was he? | 那人是谁 |
[1:02:15] | This governor at Blenheim? | 布伦纳姆谷的主管 |
[1:02:19] | Gerry certainly was a governor at Blenheim Vale. | 杰里确实曾是布伦纳姆谷的主管 |
[1:02:22] | That’s no secret. | 这又不是秘密 |
[1:02:25] | But the rest of this revolting slander? | 但其他的说辞都是恶意诋毁 |
[1:02:29] | My husband is murdered | 我丈夫被人杀了 |
[1:02:31] | and you have the gall to come into my home with such filth? | 你居然胆敢到我家来污蔑他 |
[1:02:37] | Gerry’s life was dedicated | 杰里一生都致力于 |
[1:02:40] | to the service of those less fortunate than himself, | 帮助那些比自己不幸的可怜人 |
[1:02:44] | in particular the young, | 特别是年轻人 |
[1:02:47] | who perhaps didn’t enjoy the same kind of advantages. | 他们可能没有他那样的优势 |
[1:02:50] | I have to say I’m surprised you were so easily taken in. | 我很惊讶你如此轻信 |
[1:03:00] | Dr. Portmore, Detective Constable Morse, City Police. | 波特莫医生 我是摩斯警员 市警局 |
[1:03:04] | My brother couldn’t cope | 我哥哥无法忍受 |
[1:03:06] | with what happened to him at Blenheim Vale. | 他在布伦纳姆谷经历的一切 |
[1:03:09] | A depression, the coroner ruled. | 死因裁判官判定为精神抑郁 |
[1:03:12] | The police looked into it, of course, but… | 警察当然查过 不过… |
[1:03:16] | “No suspicious circumstances.” | “没有可疑情况” |
[1:03:19] | It was all I could do not to laugh in their faces. | 我差点当着他们的面笑出来 |
[1:03:25] | And just out of interest, where were you both the night | 我需要问一下 温特格林市议员被杀那晚 |
[1:03:28] | Alderman Wintergreen was killed? | 你们二位在哪 |
[1:03:30] | We were with Nick and Ben at Nick’s place. | 我们跟尼克和本 一起在尼克家 |
[1:03:34] | How is she? | 她怎么样了 |
[1:03:35] | Angela? | 安吉拉 |
[1:03:36] | Henry last saw her in town not long after her divorce. | 亨利上次在城里遇到她时 她刚离婚 |
[1:03:39] | She was in quite a bad way then. | 状态挺差的 |
[1:03:41] | Divorce? | 离婚吗 |
[1:03:41] | She gave me to understand she’d been widowed. | 她跟我说她是寡妇 |
[1:03:44] | perhaps that’s easier to say. | 或许那更容易开口吧 |
[1:03:46] | It wasn’t a happy marriage. | 那不是段幸福的婚姻 |
[1:03:48] | Poor girl. | 可怜的姑娘 |
[1:03:50] | Growing up here, it’s a wonder she can function at all. | 在这里长大 她没崩溃已经是个奇迹了 |
[1:03:54] | This was Dr. Fairbridge’s house? | 这是菲尔布里奇医生的房子吗 |
[1:03:57] | “Sanctuary” we called it. | 我们叫它”避难所” |
[1:03:58] | He was the only adult who showed us a little bit of kindness. | 他是唯一对我们有些许善意的成年人 |
[1:04:02] | Forgive me, but given what happened to your brother, | 抱歉 但鉴于你哥哥的经历 |
[1:04:08] | I’d have thought this would be | 按说这里应该是 |
[1:04:08] | the last place you would choose to live. | 你最不想住的地方 |
[1:04:15] | I managed to convince the college to finance a dig here. | 我说服了学院出资在这里进行挖掘 |
[1:04:18] | Ostensibly to look for a Neolithic barrow. | 表面上说是寻找新石器时代坟冢 |
[1:04:21] | But that’s not what you were looking for? | 但你不是在找那个 |
[1:04:23] | No. | 不是 |
[1:04:25] | What then? | 那是什么 |
[1:04:26] | I think you probably know. | 我想你知道 |
[1:04:30] | We’d been working here about six weeks. | 我们干了差不多六周 |
[1:04:32] | Late one Friday afternoon, | 一个周五的傍晚 |
[1:04:33] | I got a visit from the local bobby asking what we were up to. | 一个当地警察来这儿问我们在干什么 |
[1:04:36] | Monday morning I get a message in my pigeonhole from the bursar. | 周一早上 我收到了一封学院财务主管的信 |
[1:04:39] | Funding’s been withdrawn and the dig shut down. | 经费被撤回了 挖掘项目也被终止 |
[1:04:41] | Did they give a reason why? | 他们告诉你原因了吗 |
[1:04:43] | None that satisfied. | 不是很让人信服的理由 |
[1:04:45] | I’ve got an appeal in, | 我提起了申诉 |
[1:04:46] | but not that I expect it to come to anything. | 但我也知道不会有用的 |
[1:04:50] | You think Peter Williams is buried here? | 你觉得彼得·威廉姆斯被埋在这儿吗 |
[1:04:53] | He’s here. | 他就在这儿 |
[1:04:54] | Somewhere. | 某个地方 |
[1:04:56] | And I intend to find him. | 我要找到他 |
[1:04:59] | I owe him that, he was my friend. | 这是我应该的 他是我的朋友 |
[1:05:04] | In regard of these sordid and disgusting accusations, | 关于这些肮脏卑鄙的指控 |
[1:05:09] | no further approaches will be made to Mrs. Wintergreen. | 不要再去找温特格林太太了 |
[1:05:11] | Peter Williams, a young boy, may have been murdered, sir. | 一个小男孩 彼得·威廉姆斯可能被害 长官 |
[1:05:15] | Indeed? Who says so? | 是吗 谁说的 |
[1:05:18] | My wife happens to sit on the Widows and Orphans Steering Committee | 我妻子就是遗属慈善基金指导委员会的 |
[1:05:22] | with Hazel Wintergreen. | 海泽·温特格林也是 |
[1:05:24] | – Oh, well… – Yes, “Oh, well”! | -那… -没错 是这样 |
[1:05:26] | I appreciate such hateful grubbiness | 我知道这种可憎可恶的事 |
[1:05:27] | may well accord with your four-legs-good view of the world, | 正好契合了你”四条腿才是好的”价值观 |
[1:05:27] | 乔治·奥威尔《动物农场》的名句 “两条腿的人都是坏的 四条腿的动物都是好的” | |
[1:05:31] | but it does not make it so! | 但那未必就是现实 |
[1:05:32] | It does not make it fact! | 未必就是事实 |
[1:05:33] | It does not make it true. | 未必就是真相 |
[1:05:35] | It is fishy, though, sir. | 但这是很可疑 长官 |
[1:05:37] | Landesman acquires Blenheim Vale, | 兰德斯曼收购布伦纳姆谷 |
[1:05:39] | and the next thing Dr. Portmore’s dig gets shut down. | 紧接着波特莫博士的挖掘就被终止了 |
[1:05:42] | We’ve three men alleging Wintergreen interfered with them, sir– | 有三人指控温特格林性侵了他们 长官 |
[1:05:45] | – Three. – There is nothing in that. | -三人 -那并不属实 |
[1:05:47] | Blenheim Vale was looked at in the early ’50s. | 布伦纳姆谷在1950年代初就被调查过了 |
[1:05:49] | Looked at? By whom? | 调查过 谁查的 |
[1:05:50] | Assistant Chief Constable Deare, amongst others. | 助理警察局长迪尔等一些人 |
[1:05:53] | The investigation concluded | 调查结果是 |
[1:05:54] | there was nothing that went on there | 那里的情况 |
[1:05:56] | that cannot be found occurring in any minor public school. | 和任何公立小学的情况没什么不同 |
[1:05:59] | Anything more is just the wild and spiteful imaginings | 不过是一群劣迹斑斑的年轻人 |
[1:06:01] | of a group of former delinquents. | 疯狂恶意的想象 |
[1:06:06] | They’re not lying. | 他们没撒谎 |
[1:06:08] | Better run it past Deare. | 最好去找下迪尔 |
[1:06:09] | See if it fits with anything he knows. | 看看是否和他所知的情况对得上 |
[1:06:12] | Come by the house when you’re done. | 问完后来我家 |
[1:06:14] | Walls have ears. | 隔墙有耳 |
[1:06:18] | Chard? | 查德 |
[1:06:22] | I wouldn’t trust anyone in this nick further than I could spit. | 我不信任这警局的任何人 |
[1:06:41] | All right, then, Tom, where’ve you been, then? | 汤姆 你都跑哪去了 |
[1:06:57] | Tommy! Tom! | 汤米 汤姆 |
[1:07:02] | These three friends of George Aldridge, | 乔治·奥德里奇的这三个朋友 |
[1:07:04] | where were they the night Wintergreen died? | 温特格林死的那晚他们在哪 |
[1:07:07] | Together. | 在聚会 |
[1:07:08] | The three men and Hilary. | 他们三个 还有希拉里 |
[1:07:10] | Will they talk now? | 他们现在愿意开口吗 |
[1:07:11] | Go on record? | 正式作证 |
[1:07:12] | I’d like to speak with them. | 我想和他们谈谈 |
[1:07:13] | Rectify my mistake. | 纠正我的错误 |
[1:07:16] | With their testimony we could nail… | 有他们的证词 我们可以抓住 |
[1:07:18] | who knows how many of the bastards? | 谁知道多少混蛋 |
[1:07:20] | Well, I don’t know, I can ask. | 我不知道 但我可以问问 |
[1:07:23] | If you could. | 你去问吧 |
[1:07:26] | Don’t lose heart. | 别灰心 |
[1:07:28] | We’re close, Morse. | 我们快要破案了 摩斯 |
[1:07:30] | We’re close, the net’s tightening. | 快了 快收网了 |
[1:08:04] | So, what’s Deare’s take? | 迪尔怎么说 |
[1:08:05] | Same as mine. | 和我想法一致 |
[1:08:07] | It all starts with the journalist, Patterson. | 一切从那个记者帕特森开始 |
[1:08:09] | Joan! | 琼 |
[1:08:11] | Come away, now. | 快走开 |
[1:08:12] | Somewhere on his travels, in some pub or bar, | 他在旅行期间 可能在哪个酒馆 |
[1:08:15] | he runs into a young man with a story to tell, | 他碰见了一个有故事的年轻人 |
[1:08:17] | the victim of Wintergreen or Landesman. | 他曾遭到温特格林或兰德斯曼的侵犯 |
[1:08:20] | – Or both. – Whichever it is, | -或两者都有 -无论怎样 |
[1:08:22] | Blenheim Vale gets mentioned, | 他提到了布伦纳姆谷 |
[1:08:24] | along with the names of one or two boys. | 还有其他一两个男孩的名字 |
[1:08:26] | Now, Patterson is a newspaperman to his boots, | 帕特森是个尽职的新闻人 |
[1:08:29] | so he approaches some of the boys. | 于是他尝试接触其中几个男孩 |
[1:08:32] | He comes to Oxford but no one wants to talk. | 他来到牛津 但没人愿意开口 |
[1:08:34] | But he’s persistent | 他坚持不懈 |
[1:08:35] | to the point where Nicholas Myers panics | 以至于尼古拉斯·迈耶斯慌了 |
[1:08:38] | and sends out the twilight bark, | 不得不求助同伴 |
[1:08:40] | the emergency SOS to his fellow musketeers, | 给其他火枪手发出了求救信号 |
[1:08:43] | calling them for an emergency pow-wow. | 召唤他们紧急集会 |
[1:08:49] | But George Aldridge is still banged up in Farnleigh, | 但乔治·奥德里奇还在法穆利监狱里 |
[1:08:52] | and it takes him till Saturday to go over the wall. | 他等到了周六才越狱 |
[1:08:54] | At which point Patterson’s already decided to take a different tack. | 但这时帕特森已决定改变策略了 |
[1:08:58] | He’s this hardbitten Fleet Street hack | 他可是个饱经世故的老记者 |
[1:09:00] | who’s ran with criminals and gangsters. | 跟罪犯和黑帮都打过交道 |
[1:09:01] | What’s he got to be scared of some council placeman | 为什么要怕一个市议员 |
[1:09:04] | and the director of a construction company? | 和建筑公司老板呢 |
[1:09:05] | So he approaches Wintergreen and Landesman head on. | 于是他直接去找了温特格林和兰德斯曼 |
[1:09:08] | Only he’s reckoned without their connection to muscle | 只是他没想到他们还勾结了 |
[1:09:10] | in County and City police. | 郡警局和市警局 |
[1:09:12] | And unfortunately for him, | 不幸的是 |
[1:09:13] | he chooses the same Saturday | 他偏巧在奥德里奇 |
[1:09:15] | that Aldridge decides to go on the run from Farnleigh. | 从法穆利越狱的那个周六去找他们 |
[1:09:17] | So when Landesman and Wintergreen find out | 所以当兰德斯曼和温特格林得知 |
[1:09:20] | that Aldridge has gone AWOL, | 奥德里奇跑了时 |
[1:09:22] | they assume that he escaped | 他们以为他逃走 |
[1:09:24] | in order to spill his guts to Patterson about Blenheim Vale. | 是为了把布伦纳姆谷的事都告诉帕特森 |
[1:09:26] | Well, exactly. | 没错 |
[1:09:27] | They were afraid that all the terrible things they’d done | 他们害怕他们当年那些骇人听闻的罪行 |
[1:09:30] | and had, no doubt, continued to do | 而且他们后来肯定没收手 |
[1:09:33] | were finally to be dragged into the light. | 终将被公诸于世 |
[1:09:35] | So they took steps. | 于是他们采取了行动 |
[1:09:42] | Bad apples, Morse. | 害群之马 摩斯 |
[1:09:44] | Every barrel’s got ’em. | 每个部门都有 |
[1:09:45] | The same bad apples that did for George Aldridge. | 就是这些害群之马杀了乔治·奥德里奇 |
[1:09:52] | And Tommy Cork saw them; that’s why they were after him. | 而且被汤米·科克看到了 所以他们要抓他 |
[1:09:58] | But who’s involved? | 还有谁参与了 |
[1:10:00] | Which officers? | 哪些警官 |
[1:10:01] | And from where? | 哪个警局的 |
[1:10:03] | The same as cleared out Aldridge’s cell, presumably. | 应该就是去清空奥德里奇的牢房的 |
[1:10:06] | What was all that about, do you think? | 你觉得那是为什么 |
[1:10:07] | Anything which might point the finger | 为了清理掉任何可能指向 |
[1:10:09] | at Wintergreen and Landesman. | 温特格林和兰德斯曼的东西 |
[1:10:13] | Only they overlooked the playbill on the wall | 不过他们忽略了墙上的海报 |
[1:10:15] | which led us to Benny Topling. | 这让我们找到了本尼·托普林 |
[1:10:18] | I think Patterson had intended to see Topling. | 我觉得帕特森本打算去见托普林 |
[1:10:20] | He had a theater ticket, | 他有张戏票 |
[1:10:21] | but obviously only Landesman’s goons got to him first. | 但显然兰德斯曼的手下先找到了他 |
[1:10:25] | So who killed Wintergreen? | 那是谁杀了温特格林 |
[1:10:27] | Constable Strange, Dad. | 斯特兰奇警员来了 爸爸 |
[1:10:29] | Come through. | 进来吧 |
[1:10:31] | Evening, sir. | 晚上好 长官 |
[1:10:32] | What’s this? House calls? | 怎么回事 上门服务吗 |
[1:10:34] | Take the weight, I’ll get a brew on. | 坐下吧 我去烧壶水 |
[1:10:36] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 长官 |
[1:10:38] | Morse. | 摩斯 |
[1:10:40] | Couldn’t get the kettle on, could you, love? | 你能烧壶水吗 亲爱的 |
[1:10:41] | One of the lads. | 我的手下来了 |
[1:10:42] | I can see that. | 我看到了 |
[1:10:44] | What happened to the hallstand? | 衣帽架不再用了吗 |
[1:10:45] | I thought that was where work stopped. | 工作不是都放那儿的吗 |
[1:10:49] | only caught half a glimpse, | 我只看到一眼 |
[1:10:50] | and it was definitely Tommy Cork, no question. | 但肯定是汤米·科克 毫无疑问 |
[1:10:53] | Registration? | 车牌呢 |
[1:10:54] | That’s just it, only the first part. | 问题就在这里 我只看到了前半 |
[1:10:57] | It matches a number of unmarked cars used by County. | 能匹配到郡警局的几辆无标记警车 |
[1:11:00] | I rang through, but they’re showing no record | 我打电话了 但没有记录显示 |
[1:11:03] | of any of their units having lifted him. | 他们的巡警带走了他 |
[1:11:06] | I just thought you should know. | 我只是觉得你们应该知道 |
[1:11:10] | You’d better talk to Deare. | 你最好去找迪尔 |
[1:11:18] | Telephone call for you, sir. | 有您的电话 长官 |
[1:11:22] | Would you excuse me, Reggie? | 我失陪一下 雷吉 |
[1:11:22] | Yes, yes. | 好 |
[1:11:24] | Of course. | 当然 |
[1:11:27] | Reginald. | 是雷吉纳德 |
[1:11:31] | This came for you. | 这是给你的 |
[1:11:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:11:37] | Hello? | 喂 |
[1:11:39] | Hello, sir. | 喂 长官 |
[1:11:39] | Morse, thank God, I’ve been trying to reach you. | 摩斯 谢天谢地 我一直在找你 |
[1:11:41] | Sir, it’s about the boy. | 长官 是那个男孩 |
[1:11:43] | Tommy Cork? | 汤米·科克吗 |
[1:11:44] | Yes. | 对 |
[1:11:45] | Don’t worry, we know where he is | 别担心 我们知道他在哪 |
[1:11:47] | but he’ll only come across to you. | 但他只肯跟你说话 |
[1:11:48] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[1:11:49] | I need you to meet me straight away | 你得马上来见我 |
[1:11:51] | Where? When? | 在哪里 几点 |
[1:11:54] | Get a pen and take this down. | 找支笔记一下 |
[1:12:19] | Hello? | 喂 |
[1:12:20] | Whose calling? | 是哪位 |
[1:12:23] | I’ll just get him for you. | 我帮你去叫他 |
[1:12:26] | Dad, it’s a Mr. Deare for you. | 爸爸 迪尔先生找你 |
[1:13:24] | Yes. | 是 |
[1:13:25] | Yes, I understand, but… | 是 我明白 但… |
[1:13:27] | There has to be some other way. | 一定还有别的办法 |
[1:13:30] | I’ve done enough, I can’t… | 我做的够多了 我不能… |
[1:13:32] | For the love of God, he’s a child. | 老天爷啊 他是个孩子 |
[1:13:36] | I’m a doctor! | 我是个医生 |
[1:13:39] | All right, all right. | 好吧 好吧 |
[1:13:41] | Where is he? | 他在哪里 |
[1:13:43] | All right, I’ll meet you there. | 好 我去那儿见你 |
[1:13:46] | Meet who? | 见谁 |
[1:13:47] | Where? | 在哪里 |
[1:13:49] | What child? | 什么孩子 |
[1:13:50] | Angela… | 安吉拉 |
[1:13:51] | It wasn’t just a bad dream, was it? | 并不只是个噩梦 对吗 |
[1:14:04] | All well, Clive? | 一切都好吗 克莱夫 |
[1:14:05] | Actually, sir, it’s Detective Constable Morse. | 事实上 长官 是摩斯警员 |
[1:14:09] | You better take a seat, it’s quite a story. | 你最好先坐下 这事挺离奇的 |
[1:14:11] | Brandy? | 要白兰地吗 |
[1:14:16] | Where’s Thursday? | 瑟斯戴去哪了 |
[1:14:18] | What do you mean where is he? | 你怎么问这个 |
[1:14:20] | He left a message with the duty log | 他在值班日志上留言说 |
[1:14:21] | saying that he was meeting you at Blenheim Vale. | 他会去布伦纳姆谷跟你碰头 |
[1:14:25] | I need you to get every man you can trust over there now. | 我要你带上所有可信的人马上赶去那边 |
[1:14:29] | City boys only. | 只带市警局的人 |
[1:14:30] | Understand? | 明白吗 |
[1:14:31] | No can do, matey. | 我不能这么做 伙计 |
[1:14:33] | Orders. | 上级命令 |
[1:14:34] | Orders? | 命令 |
[1:14:36] | What orders? From where? | 什么命令 谁下的 |
[1:14:38] | We’ve been told if anything comes through from out that way | 我们接到通知 如果那边出事的话 |
[1:14:40] | we’re not to respond. | 我们不能响应 |
[1:14:41] | Some County operation. | 是郡警局的行动 |
[1:14:43] | It’s come from ACC Deare. | 是助理警察局长迪尔下的命令 |
[1:14:45] | I see. | 好吧 |
[1:14:54] | What’s that? | 这是什么 |
[1:14:55] | If it all goes wrong, maybe everything… | 如果真出事了 |
[1:14:57] | Deare, Chard, it’s all in there. | 那迪尔 查德 他们干的事都在那里 |
[1:14:59] | I told you one day you’d have to choose. | 我说过 总有一天你得做出选择 |
[1:15:02] | Today’s that day. | 就是今天了 |
[1:15:08] | If you do nothing else, | 如果你不愿干别的 |
[1:15:09] | find Bright and tell him Thursday’s in trouble. | 至少找到布莱特 告诉他瑟斯戴有危险 |
[1:15:19] | I need your help. | 我需要你的帮助 |
[1:15:21] | Thursday’s out at Blenheim Vale. | 瑟斯戴在布伦纳姆谷 |
[1:15:23] | I’ve a car outside, come on. | 车在外面 快走 |
[1:15:25] | Blenheim Vale? | 布伦纳姆谷 |
[1:15:28] | I can’t. | 我不能去 |
[1:15:35] | Little Pete. | 你是小彼得 |
[1:15:38] | Myers couldn’t remember your last name. | 迈耶斯记不住你的姓了 |
[1:15:43] | Were you there? | 你当时在那儿吗 |
[1:15:44] | To some of us bastards, it’s more than just a name. | 对于我们有些人 可不是一个名字那么简单 |
[1:15:48] | You don’t think about something for long enough, | 有些事你很久不去想 |
[1:15:50] | you think you’ve forgotten. | 你会以为你已经忘了 |
[1:15:53] | Then one day somebody comes along… | 然后有一天 你突然遇到一个人 |
[1:15:55] | Deare. | 迪尔 |
[1:15:57] | There were four of them. | 一共四个人 |
[1:16:00] | Deare, he was just a copper then. | 迪尔当时只是个警员 |
[1:16:03] | Josiah Landesman, | 乔萨亚·兰德斯曼 |
[1:16:06] | the new governor Wintergreen | 新主管温特格林 |
[1:16:10] | and Doc Fairbridge. | 还有菲尔布里奇医生 |
[1:16:13] | Dr. Fairbridge? | 菲尔布里奇医生 |
[1:16:14] | Insofar as he knew what was going on | 尽管他知道发生了什么 |
[1:16:15] | and did nothing to stop it. | 却选择坐视不管 |
[1:16:17] | Covered up for them when they went too far. | 他们做过头时 还替他们掩盖 |
[1:16:19] | One name. | 一个名字 |
[1:16:21] | Last chance. | 最后的机会 |
[1:16:23] | What about Standish. | 斯坦迪什呢 |
[1:16:24] | Was he involved? | 他也参与其中吗 |
[1:16:26] | No. | 没有 |
[1:16:27] | It was just the four of them. | 只有他们四个 |
[1:16:30] | I ran that dry cleaning tag to ground. | 我查了那个干洗店签 |
[1:16:35] | The coat belonged to the Doc. | 那件大衣是医生的 |
[1:16:39] | George Aldridge went to him | 乔治·奥德里奇向他求救 |
[1:16:40] | and he betrayed George Aldridge to his death. | 但他出卖了乔治·奥德里奇 导致他被杀 |
[1:16:42] | He always was a two-faced bastard. | 他一直就是个两面派混蛋 |
[1:16:44] | The other lads couldn’t see it. | 其他人都不明白 |
[1:16:45] | Only me. | 只有我知道 |
[1:16:47] | Fairbridge was one of them, all right. | 菲尔布里奇跟他们是一伙的 |
[1:16:48] | Did Angela have any idea what was going on? | 安吉拉知道发生了什么吗 |
[1:16:50] | More than an idea, I think. | 我想她非常清楚 |
[1:16:54] | Some of them… | 他们中一些人… |
[1:16:56] | It wasn’t just lads; you just had to be young. | 不仅把魔爪伸向男生 只想要小孩子 |
[1:17:00] | See, | 你瞧 |
[1:17:03] | they wanted a name | 他们要我说出 |
[1:17:05] | for whoever burnt out Wintergreen’s car. | 是谁烧了温特格林的车 |
[1:17:09] | They knew who it was, but they wanted a name. | 他们知道是谁干的 但他们要我说 |
[1:17:24] | So I told ’em. | 我告诉他们了 |
[1:17:26] | I tried not to… | 我不想说的 |
[1:17:31] | Look, we have a chance to bury them. | 听着 我们现在有机会扳倒他们 |
[1:17:35] | All of them. | 他们所有人 |
[1:17:36] | Come on. | 跟我走 |
[1:17:40] | I can’t, I can’t. | 我做不到 |
[1:17:42] | I’m sorry, I can’t. | 抱歉 我不能去 |
[1:18:14] | That could have been nasty. | 差点要了你的命 |
[1:18:16] | Sir, it’s a set-up. | 长官 这是陷阱 |
[1:18:17] | I figured as much. | 我猜到了 |
[1:18:19] | I don’t usually pack this for a friendly chat. | 和朋友聚会 哪会带这个 |
[1:18:22] | But you came anyway? | 但你还是来了 |
[1:18:26] | It’s always been about the boy. | 是为了那个男孩 |
[1:18:29] | If there’s any chance to get him back, however small, | 如果有机会把他救回来 无论希望多渺茫 |
[1:18:31] | you’d have done the same. | 你也会这么做的 |
[1:18:35] | So, who’re we expecting? | 所以我们在等谁 |
[1:18:36] | It’s Deare. | 迪尔 |
[1:18:38] | Just Deare? | 只有迪尔吗 |
[1:18:39] | Deare arranged a small reception just for me. | 迪尔为我安排了一支小迎宾队 |
[1:18:41] | Said he had Tommy, | 说汤米在他那儿 |
[1:18:42] | but the kid would only come across if I was there. | 但只有我在场 那孩子才肯开口 |
[1:18:45] | Chard tried to kill me. | 查德企图杀我 |
[1:18:47] | Landesman? | 兰德斯曼呢 |
[1:18:48] | He’s not the type to get his hands dirty. | 他不是会亲自动手的人 |
[1:18:51] | Why would he when he’s got Deare there? | 有迪尔 他又何必 |
[1:18:54] | The only thing I can’t work out is | 我唯一搞不懂的就是 |
[1:18:55] | why they killed Wintergreen. | 他们为什么杀了温特格林 |
[1:18:57] | They didn’t. | 不是他们 |
[1:18:59] | It was someone else. | 是其他人杀的 |
[1:19:01] | Wintergreen’s appetites | 温特格林的魔爪 |
[1:19:02] | extended beyond just the boys of Blenheim Vale. | 并不是只伸向了布伦纳姆谷的男孩 |
[1:19:08] | The mind plays tricks, I suppose. | 大脑会欺骗人吧 |
[1:19:10] | Does what it can to forget. | 会尽其所能让人遗忘 |
[1:19:13] | Perhaps Angela told herself it was all in her imagination. | 也许安吉拉骗自己一切只是她的想象 |
[1:19:17] | Something I’m sure her father encouraged in her. | 她爸爸肯定也强化了这个想法 |
[1:19:22] | In any event, something triggered her recollection, | 不管怎样 有什么事勾起了她的回忆 |
[1:19:24] | with fatal consequences. | 造成了致命的后果 |
[1:19:30] | Good night, Mr. Stafford. | 晚安 斯塔福先生 |
[1:19:31] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:19:48] | Alderman? | 市议员 |
[1:19:49] | Angela… | 安吉拉 |
[1:20:07] | Funny… | 有意思 |
[1:20:11] | It’ll be 28 years tomorrow since I joined the job. | 明天 我就工作满28年了 |
[1:20:17] | 28 years to the day. | 整整28年 |
[1:20:20] | Excepting the war, of course. | 当然 除了战时 |
[1:20:24] | All this with the merger put me out of sorts, | 合并的事让我心烦意乱 |
[1:20:27] | got me thinking. | 开始考虑 |
[1:20:30] | Less ahead than behind. | 觉得反正也没什么盼头了 |
[1:20:35] | I forgot for a minute it’s not about me. | 我差点忘了 重要的不是我 |
[1:20:38] | It’s about them that turn to us for help | 而是那些在困难时刻 |
[1:20:42] | in time of need. | 向我们求助的人 |
[1:20:45] | Weak, defenseless, old, young. | 脆弱 无助 老人 孩子 |
[1:20:49] | Especially the young. | 特别是孩子 |
[1:20:53] | Does that mean you’ve reconsidered? | 这是不是意味着你改主意了 |
[1:20:58] | Win would never put up with me under her feet all day. | 温绝对受不了我整天在她面前晃 |
[1:21:02] | No, I was born a copper. | 不 我生来是警察 |
[1:21:09] | And I’ll die one, I expect. | 希望死时还是警察 |
[1:21:15] | 阿尔弗雷德·爱德华·豪斯曼 | |
[1:21:15] | “Ensanguining the skies, | “残阳红似血 |
[1:21:17] | how heavily it dies | 沉沉坠西方 |
[1:21:21] | Into the west away; | 步步有千斤 |
[1:21:24] | Past touch and sight and sound | 消弭无踪迹 |
[1:21:29] | not further to be found, | 过往不可寻 |
[1:21:32] | How hopeless under ground. | 无望埋地下 |
[1:21:37] | Falls the remorseful day.” | 空留一声叹” |
[1:21:44] | You know there’s no cavalry coming. | 不会来救兵的 |
[1:21:47] | Still time. | 还有时间 |
[1:21:48] | I won’t think the less. | 我不会看扁你的 |
[1:21:57] | To the end, then? | 那就坚持到底咯 |
[1:22:01] | To the end. | 坚持到底 |
[1:22:15] | Nothing you can do for him now. | 你现在帮不了他了 |
[1:22:20] | The early bird, I’m afraid. | 早起的鸟儿有虫吃 |
[1:22:22] | Sir! | 长官 |
[1:22:24] | Sir! | 长官 |
[1:22:28] | You bastard! | 你这个混蛋 |
[1:22:29] | You bastard! | 你这个混蛋 |
[1:22:31] | Names? | 骂人啊 |
[1:22:32] | Really? No bon mots? | 真是的 不再妙语连珠了吗 |
[1:22:33] | No apposite Augustan valedictory? | 不像屋大维那样留句好遗言吗 |
[1:22:38] | I expected better from a Greats man. | 文学人文的才子可不该啊 |
[1:22:41] | Oxford material? | 牛津高材生 |
[1:22:43] | No. | 不 |
[1:22:45] | Just a boy from the sticks | 不过是个乡下来的 |
[1:22:46] | with a chip on his shoulder and a library card. | 有点怨愤不平的书呆子而已 |
[1:22:51] | Where be your jibes, now? | 你再嘲讽我啊 |
[1:22:54] | You’re mad. | 你疯了 |
[1:22:58] | You can’t seriously think you’ll get away with this. | 你不会真觉得你能逍遥法外吧 |
[1:23:00] | Actually, I think they’ll pin another medal on my chest. | 其实 我觉得他们还会再给我一枚勋章 |
[1:23:06] | History is written by the victor, Morse, you know that. | 历史是由胜者书写的 摩斯 你懂的 |
[1:23:08] | Bad apples– that’s you two, I’m afraid. | 你们俩才是害群之马 |
[1:23:11] | My version of events, at least. | 至少我会这么说 |
[1:23:13] | And since that’s all they’ll have, | 而且他们也只能听到我的说法了 |
[1:23:15] | it’s rather all that counts. | 所以我的说法才算数 |
[1:23:18] | You see, when Chard told me you’d got away, | 查德告诉我你跑了之后 |
[1:23:21] | I had to improvise. | 我就只能随机应变 |
[1:23:23] | Right now every copper in the County is out looking for you. | 现在郡里的所有警察都在找你 |
[1:23:31] | Pity you won’t be around to appreciate my solution. | 可惜你是不会看到我解决得多么巧妙了 |
[1:23:38] | And there, I’m afraid, | 恐怕 |
[1:23:40] | endeth the lesson. | 我们要下课了 |
[1:24:09] | Stay with me, sir. | 坚持住 长官 |
[1:24:10] | Stay with me, sir. | 坚持住 长官 |
[1:24:11] | Sir! | 长官 |
[1:24:13] | It’s gonna be all right, sir. | 会没事的 长官 |
[1:24:15] | Stay with me, sir. | 坚持住 长官 |
[1:24:16] | Stay with me. | 坚持住 |
[1:24:18] | It wasn’t dreams. | 那些不是梦 |
[1:24:20] | It was memories. | 是记忆 |
[1:24:26] | My own father… | 我的亲生父亲 |
[1:24:30] | No more dreams. | 再也不会做梦了 |
[1:24:34] | – My poor lost boys. – No, no, no! | -我可怜的迷失男孩们 -不不不 |
[1:25:14] | Come on, Tommy. | 来 汤米 |
[1:25:18] | We found the boy in one of the top rooms, sir. | 我们在顶楼的一个房间里找到了这男孩 长官 |
[1:25:22] | He’s no recollection how he got here. | 他不记得自己是怎么来到这儿的了 |
[1:25:24] | Let’s get this young man back to his mother, | 我们把这孩子送回他妈妈那儿去吧 |
[1:25:26] | – shall we? – Sir. | -好吗 -是 |
[1:25:27] | Come on, Tommy, let’s go. | 来 汤米 我们走 |
[1:25:28] | We’ll make sure you are looked after. | 我们会照顾好你的 |
[1:25:34] | He’s in the best of care. | 他会得到最好的照顾 |
[1:25:43] | DC Morse? | 摩斯警员 |
[1:25:45] | Yes? | 在 |
[1:25:46] | My name is Detective Inspector Gregson of Kidlington CID. | 我是基灵顿刑事调查部的格雷格森督查 |
[1:25:50] | Endeavour Morse, I am arresting you | 英戴弗·摩斯 我要逮捕你 |
[1:25:51] | for the murder of Chief Constable Rupert Standish. | 罪名是杀害警察局长鲁伯特·斯坦迪什 |
[1:25:53] | You’re arresting me? | 你要逮捕我 |
[1:25:54] | You do not have to say anything, | 你有权保持沉默 |
[1:25:55] | – but anything you say will be taken down… – You’ve made a mistake. | -但你所说的一切将被记录下来 -你搞错了 |
[1:25:57] | – …And can be used in evidence. – Some kind of a mistake. | -作为呈堂证供 -搞错了 |
[1:26:00] | Take him inside. | 带他进去 |
[1:26:01] | Get your hands off me, you’ve made a mistake! | 放开我 你搞错了 |
[1:26:05] | Get your hands off me! | 放开我 |