时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:14] | – Morning. – Percy Malleson. | -早上好 -珀西·马勒森 |
[01:44] | There he goes. | 瞧他 |
[01:46] | Turd of Turd Hall. | 混蛋堂的混蛋 |
[01:49] | The royal party will arrive at the factory at 11:45 sharp, | 王室成员将于11:45准时到达工厂 |
[01:54] | whereupon, Her Royal Highness Princess Margaret | 接着玛格丽特公主殿下 |
[01:57] | will be escorted on a tour of the works by company chairman | 将在公司主席亨利·布鲁姆先生的陪同下 |
[02:00] | Mr. Henry Broom. | 参观生产线 |
[02:01] | After the official unveiling | 在正式揭幕 |
[02:03] | of the new Standfast Mark Two surface-to-air missile | 坚决2型地对空导弹 |
[02:07] | and subsequent viewing and appreciation of the same, | 并对它进行了检视和参观后 |
[02:11] | Her Royal Highness will then repair to the main company offices, | 公主殿下将驾临公司总部 |
[02:14] | where refreshments and a light, buffet-style luncheon | 那里会有茶点和简单的自助午宴 |
[02:18] | will be graciously enjoyed. | 供众人享用 |
[02:21] | Now, the purpose of this visit is to help promote | 此次访问旨在向海外宣传 |
[02:24] | British industry abroad. | 英国工业 |
[02:26] | To that end, a trade delegation | 为此 将一同访问的 |
[02:29] | led by His Highness Crown Prince Nabil | 还有由哈西姆联合王国 |
[02:32] | of the United Hashemite Kingdoms will also be in attendance, | 纳比尔王储带领的贸易代表团 |
[02:36] | together with ministers from the Board of Overseas Trade. | 海外贸易委员会的大臣也将作陪 |
[02:39] | This station has been awarded the signal honor | 本警局有幸在访问期间 |
[02:43] | of providing additional security for the duration of the visit. | 提供额外的安全保障 |
[02:48] | The world will be watching. | 全世界都将关注 |
[03:34] | Morning, matey. | 早上好 伙计 |
[03:37] | How do I look? | 我看起来怎样 |
[03:38] | Very… dependable? | 非常…可靠 |
[03:40] | I was hoping for smart. | 我希望听到的是时髦 |
[03:42] | Been up half the night on these buttons. | 这些扣子我缝了一晚上 |
[03:45] | The Pathe mob are covering it, aren’t they? | 肯定有大量记者报道这次活动吧 |
[03:47] | Got to look your best. | 得拿出最好的面貌 |
[03:49] | After the first “Your Highness,” it’s Ma’am, you see? | 第一次说了”殿下”后 说”女士”就行 |
[03:52] | To rhyme with Spam. | 跟”午餐肉”押韵 |
[03:53] | – Sir. – Morse. | -长官 -摩斯 |
[03:54] | – Rather than smarm. – What? | -不如说是”奉承” -什么 |
[03:57] | To rhyme with, sir. | 韵脚 长官 |
[03:59] | Ma’am not Ma’rm. | 女士的发音不是… |
[04:01] | Just so. | 确实如此 |
[04:03] | The royal party is expected to depart the factory at 14:00. | 王室成员预计下午2点离开工厂 |
[04:07] | So I would expect a return to barracks by 14:30. | 所以我大概下午2:30回到警局 |
[04:09] | – Manage till then? – Do our best, sir. | -能坚持到那时吧 -我们尽力 长官 |
[04:15] | Didn’t get your invite, then? | 你没被邀请吗 |
[04:17] | The royal garden party. | 王室花园酒会 |
[04:18] | Thought you’d have been first on the guest list. | 我以为你会第一个受邀呢 |
[04:22] | My parking space is occupied by men up ladders hanging bunting. | 我的停车位被踩梯子挂彩旗的人占了 |
[04:26] | I wouldn’t mind, | 虽然没什么 |
[04:26] | but I’ve just had to cross the factory floor. | 但我只好步行穿过车间 |
[04:28] | Not to mention the whole place reeks of paint. | 更别提到处都是难闻的油漆味 |
[04:30] | All for the sake of buttering up a few wogs. | 就为了拍几个阿拉伯人的马屁 |
[04:33] | All for the sake of 36 Standfast missiles. | 是为了36枚坚决导弹 |
[04:36] | Three years’ output, Johnny, potentially. | 那或许能顶公司三年的产量 约翰尼 |
[04:39] | I’d have thought even you might see how vital this contract is. | 我以为就算是你也能理解这份合约多重要 |
[04:42] | Of course I see. | 我当然理解 |
[04:43] | I just wish we didn’t have to turn the whole place | 我只希望不用为此搞得 |
[04:44] | upside down to do it. | 天翻地覆 |
[04:46] | Good morning, Brenda. | 早上好 布伦达 |
[04:46] | Morning, Mr. Broom. Tea? Coffee? | 早上好 布鲁姆先生 茶还是咖啡 |
[04:48] | No, not now. | 不 现在不喝 |
[04:51] | Here you are, then, Cinders. | 给你 “灰姑娘” |
[04:52] | You shall go to the ball. | 你能去参加”舞会”了 |
[04:55] | Just come into the Information Room. | 情报室刚收到消息 |
[04:57] | Bunch of anarchists looking to egg the royal limo. | 一帮无政府主义人士打算拿鸡蛋砸王室专车 |
[05:00] | Get down the Broad and make sure they don’t. | 快去宽街 确保他们不会乱来 |
[05:02] | Something for Uniform, isn’t it? | 这是巡警的活儿 不是吗 |
[05:04] | Funnily enough, | 问得好 |
[05:05] | we’re a bit light on woodentops today. | 我们今天傻瓜不够用了 |
[05:07] | So, chop-chop. | 所以…快去吧 |
[05:10] | There’s a piece in Flight on the visit. | 《飞行》上还登了一篇关于访问的报道 |
[05:12] | Quoting Dickie. | 引用了迪克的话 |
[05:14] | “What’s good for British Imperial Electric | “英国帝国电气公司的利益 |
[05:15] | is good for Britain,” apparently. | 就是全英国的利益” 那好吧 |
[05:19] | Morning, Alice. | 早上好 爱丽丝 |
[05:21] | How lovely you look today. | 你今天真漂亮 |
[05:22] | Thank you, Johnny. | 谢谢 约翰尼 |
[05:23] | For Her Highness? | 给公主殿下的吗 |
[05:24] | For your wife. | 给您妻子的 |
[05:26] | Nora can’t abide cut flowers. | 诺拉受不了鲜切花 |
[05:28] | Nor they her. | 它们也受不了她 |
[05:29] | Blooms wither at her passing. | 她所经之处 万花凋零 |
[05:32] | They say a scorpion stung her once. | 据说有只蝎子有次蛰了她 |
[05:34] | And died. | 就死了 |
[05:36] | Damn! | 该死 |
[05:38] | I never liked these things. | 我一向讨厌这些事 |
[05:39] | Here. | 我来吧 |
[05:41] | You’re all fingers and thumbs. | 你真是笨手笨脚 |
[05:43] | What would I do without you, Miss Vexin? | 没有你我可怎么办 瓦克辛小姐 |
[05:46] | Reg Tracepurcel is waiting to see you. | 雷吉·崔斯帕索正等着见您 |
[05:48] | This business with Lenny Frost. | 是兰尼·弗罗斯特的事 |
[05:50] | Labor relations is Johnny’s purview. | 员工关系是约翰尼负责的 |
[05:52] | If you want him to go away, | 你真想打发掉他的话 |
[05:53] | get Dick to handle him. | 就让迪克去解决 |
[05:55] | Comrade Reg is a sucker for tales of Bomber Command. | 雷吉同志特喜欢轰炸机司令部的故事 |
[05:58] | Where is Dickie? | 迪克在哪 |
[05:59] | Boardroom, last time I looked. | 我刚刚见他在会议室 |
[06:02] | Keep him straight today, Johnny. | 今天盯好他 约翰尼 |
[06:04] | At least until everyone’s gone. | 至少直到所有人离开 |
[06:45] | Thank you, Michael. | 谢谢你 迈克尔 |
[06:48] | Henry. | 亨利 |
[06:50] | Nora. | 诺拉 |
[06:51] | Good run. | 一路顺利吗 |
[06:52] | The lights turned green for me when I asked them to. | 信号灯会应我的要求变绿 |
[06:55] | You needn’t have gone to all this trouble. | 你不必费这么大事的 |
[07:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:04] | Richard. | 理查德 |
[07:06] | Mother. | 妈妈 |
[07:09] | Bourbon? | 波本酒 |
[07:09] | For breakfast? | 早饭就喝 |
[07:11] | I knew you were coming. | 我知道你要来嘛 |
[07:14] | Now, where’s Little Boots? | 小靴子呢 |
[07:19] | I wish you wouldn’t call me that. | 真希望你别那么叫我 |
[07:20] | How are you? | 你还好吗 |
[07:21] | I endure. | 坚强支撑 |
[07:23] | Is Estella not joining us? | 艾丝戴拉不来吗 |
[07:25] | Later. You know your sister has no head for business. | 她晚点来 你知道你姐姐不是从商的料 |
[07:27] | Shall we? | 这边走 |
[07:29] | I do hope there are sandwiches. | 我希望这里有三明治 |
[07:30] | There’s only so much obsequious insincerity | 我空着肚子能承受的 |
[07:33] | I can take on an empty stomach. | 谄媚的伪善有限 |
[07:50] | That’s the second time he’s had that today. | 他今天第二次抓到这牌了 |
[07:54] | Hoppit. | 走开 |
[08:00] | You really think being found on the premises | 你真觉得被人发现你在这里 |
[08:02] | is going to help your case? | 会对你有好处吗 |
[08:05] | You were going to go see Mr. Johnny. | 你本来都要去找约翰尼先生了 |
[08:07] | Yeah, well, it’s been put back. | 这事被推迟了 |
[08:09] | I wasn’t negligent, Reg. | 我可没渎职 雷吉 |
[08:11] | You got to tell ’em. | 你得告诉他们 |
[08:11] | I’ll get it straightened, I promise. | 我会把事情摆平的 我保证 |
[08:14] | Yeah? | 是吗 |
[08:15] | Well, you’d better. | 你最好摆平 |
[08:17] | Because I know who landed me in it. | 因为 我知道是谁陷害了我 |
[08:20] | And so do you. | 你也知道 |
[08:32] | 我们不臣服 废除君主制 | |
[08:34] | City Police. | 市警局的 |
[08:35] | Look, I don’t doubt you’re very sincere, | 我不怀疑你们的诚意 |
[08:39] | but you may get your message across better | 但你们如果想更好地表达政见 |
[08:41] | if you go to the trouble of spelling Levellers correctly. | 或许至少该费心把”平等主义”拼对 |
[09:03] | That’s it, give them a good cheer. | 就这样 热烈地欢呼起来 |
[09:20] | Pictures, pictures, Charlie. | 快照相 照相 查理 |
[09:23] | We can’t compete with that lot. | 我们可争不过那个 |
[09:25] | The written word is dead. | 文字稿已死 |
[09:45] | And this is Dr. Volk. | 这位是沃克博士 |
[09:50] | This is the moment. | 要揭幕了 |
[09:51] | Four, | 四 |
[09:52] | three, | 三 |
[09:53] | two, | 二 |
[09:54] | one… | 一 |
[10:11] | Went well, I thought. | 还挺顺利的 |
[10:13] | Did you get any sense from the Arabs | 那些阿拉伯人透露 |
[10:15] | as to how things are progressing? | 进展情况了吗 |
[10:17] | Crown Prince Nabil had | 纳比尔王储 |
[10:18] | one or two questions about… | 还有一两个问题 |
[10:20] | Well, whatever it is, | 不管他想问什么 |
[10:21] | I’m sure Estella distracted him beautifully. | 艾丝戴拉都肯定成功地转移了他的注意 |
[10:23] | That is why you sat them together. | 这就是你让他们坐一起的原因 |
[10:26] | How nice to know one’s good for something. | 知道我还有用真是高兴 |
[10:29] | So, to what do we owe | 所以 我们为什么 |
[10:30] | this extraordinary convocation of the Board? | 要召开这次特殊董事会会议呢 |
[10:33] | I’ve tabled an agenda. | 我写好了议程 |
[10:34] | I’m not about to sleepwalk my way into an ambush, Henry. | 我可不会迷迷糊糊地走进圈套里 亨利 |
[10:37] | When were you going to spring it on me? | 你打算什么时候告诉我 |
[10:39] | “Matters arising”? | 会议开始 |
[10:41] | “Any other business”? | 会议结束 |
[10:43] | What’s not in that paper? | 文件上没提什么 |
[10:46] | No, don’t tell me, let me guess. | 别说 我猜猜 |
[10:48] | The proposed merger with the French, perhaps? | 跟法国人合并的提议吗 |
[10:53] | You may have banished me from hearth and home, | 你或许是把我从家里赶了出来 |
[10:55] | but I still hold 33% of the company’s stock. | 但我仍有公司33%的股份 |
[10:58] | A minority share. | 少数股权 |
[10:59] | I also have our daughter’s proxy. | 我还能代表我们的女儿 |
[11:01] | Estella’s two percent. | 艾丝戴拉还有2% |
[11:03] | Even a fool could work that one out. | 傻瓜也算得明白吧 |
[11:06] | Johnny? | 约翰尼 |
[11:08] | I know what it means. | 我清楚这意味着什么 |
[11:09] | It means you can block any proposal. | 你能否决任何提案 |
[11:11] | You wouldn’t have come here | 如果你不想谈判的话 |
[11:12] | if you weren’t willing to negotiate. | 也不会来这里了 |
[11:14] | Perhaps I just fancied seeing | 可能我只是想看看 |
[11:16] | how a princess holds her fork. | 公主是怎么用叉子的 |
[12:07] | Her Royal Highness put everyone quite at their ease. | 公主殿下让每个人都感到很自在 |
[12:11] | A marvelous quality, don’t you think? | 真了不起 你们说呢 |
[12:13] | She spoke to you then, sir? | 她跟您说话了吗 长官 |
[12:14] | Oh, yes. | 是的 |
[12:15] | Protocol dictates, of course, | 当然 按照规矩 |
[12:17] | that one has to wait for Her Royal Highness to speak to one first, | 理应等公主殿下先开口 |
[12:22] | of course, but… | 这是当然 但是 |
[12:23] | Morse, phone. | 摩斯 有电话 |
[12:25] | “Have you come far?” She said. | “你是远道赶来的吗” 她说 |
[12:28] | Just like that. | 就是这样 |
[12:29] | As regular and familiar as you please. | 如此的家常而亲切 |
[12:31] | CID, Morse. | 刑事调查部 我是摩斯 |
[12:33] | “Have you come far?” | “你是远道赶来的吗” |
[12:34] | What did you say? | 你回了什么 |
[12:36] | That I hadn’t. | 我说 不远 |
[12:38] | One for the memoirs, sir. | 回忆录里的重彩一笔 长官 |
[12:40] | Yes. I think we can all take pride | 是啊 我想我们都可以为此骄傲 |
[12:42] | that everything went off without the slightest hitch. | 一切顺利 没有出一丁点问题 |
[12:44] | That was British Imperial, sir. | 是英帝电气 长官 |
[12:46] | A body’s been found at the factory. | 工厂发现了一具尸体 |
[12:48] | Looks like murder. | 似乎是凶杀 |
[13:05] | Richard Broom, chief superintendent. | 我是理查德·布鲁姆 高级警司 |
[13:07] | Works manager. | 我是工厂经理 |
[13:08] | We met earlier. | 我们之前见过 |
[13:13] | You stay here, no one in or out. | 留在这里 不许任何人进出 |
[13:15] | The name of the deceased is Malleson, Percy Malleson. | 死者名叫马勒森 珀西·马勒森 |
[13:19] | Been with us about six months. | 来这里六个月了 |
[13:20] | As what? | 做什么 |
[13:21] | General fitter. | 普通装配工 |
[13:23] | Worked on fuselage assembly. | 在机身装配线工作 |
[13:24] | Reliable? | 可靠吗 |
[13:25] | Yes. | 是的 |
[13:26] | Good timekeeper, no complaints about his work. | 准时上班 工作也没遭过投诉 |
[13:29] | Who found him? | 谁发现了他 |
[13:30] | My father’s personal assistant. | 我父亲的私人助理 |
[13:32] | It’s, uh… | 就… |
[13:34] | it’s just in there. | 就在那里 |
[13:36] | Though what he was doing here…? | 但他为什么会在那儿 |
[13:38] | When was he found? | 什么时候发现的 |
[13:40] | About an hour ago. | 大概一小时前 |
[13:41] | All right, Mr. Broom, | 好吧 布鲁姆先生 |
[13:42] | we’ll take it from here. | 接下来交给我们了 |
[13:43] | Don’t go too far. | 别走太远 |
[13:44] | I’m sure we’ll be needing you presently. | 我们肯定还会需要你帮忙 |
[13:59] | Dr. DeBryn. | 德布林医生 |
[14:00] | Gentlemen. | 先生们 |
[14:02] | What’ve you got? | 什么情况 |
[14:03] | Not enough room to swing a cat. | 这里地方太小了 |
[14:05] | As you can see… | 你们能看到 |
[14:06] | What is that, a screwdriver? | 那是什么 螺丝刀吗 |
[14:09] | Driven into the right ocular orbit | 捅进了右眼眶 |
[14:11] | with some considerable force. | 而且用力很猛 |
[14:12] | – Death would have been instantaneous? – More or less. | -是即刻死亡吗 -差不多吧 |
[14:15] | No chance it could’ve been an accident. | 不可能是意外吗 |
[14:17] | Not unless he picked himself up | 除非他把自己的尸体抱起来 |
[14:19] | and dragged himself in here. | 拖到了这里 |
[14:21] | There’s blood on the skirting and on the wall. | 门框和墙上都有血 |
[14:23] | Any idea what time? | 知道死亡时间吗 |
[14:25] | Body temperature would suggest about four hours ago. | 根据尸温差不多是四小时前 |
[14:27] | Certainly not so much as five. | 绝对不到五小时 |
[14:29] | Just about the time Her Royal Highness arrived. | 差不多是公主殿下到达的时候 |
[14:32] | Well, that’s one suspect we can rule out at least. | 那我们至少能排除一位嫌疑人了 |
[14:34] | Hardly a matter for levity, Thursday. | 这可不是玩笑 瑟斯戴 |
[14:36] | No, sir, | 当然 长官 |
[14:37] | but we were charged with protecting her security. | 但我们受命保护她的安全 |
[14:40] | That duty was discharged admirably, | 我们也一丝不苟地完成了职责 |
[14:42] | as far as I can make out. | 至少在我看来是的 |
[14:45] | Whatever else happened here, | 不管这里还发生了什么 |
[14:46] | no blame can attach to the station. | 都不能怪罪到警局头上 |
[14:47] | Me, you mean. | 你是说我头上 |
[14:50] | I doubt Division will take so charitable a view of things. | 警部可未必会这么谅解了 |
[14:55] | The palace will have to be notified. | 得通知王宫 |
[14:57] | Whole to-do’s a complete bloody mess! | 真是个烂摊子 |
[15:06] | Watch what you’re doing, Morse. | 小心点 摩斯 |
[15:08] | For God’s sake! | 老天爷啊 |
[15:28] | There is one other thing. | 还有件事 |
[15:29] | Not that it’s likely to be much use to you… | 虽然对你恐怕没多大用 |
[15:33] | but this was in his pocket. | 但他兜里有这个 |
[15:39] | Is it murder? | 是凶杀吗 |
[15:42] | Yes, madam. It would appear so. | 是的 女士 看来是的 |
[15:45] | My God. | 天啊 |
[15:47] | “When troubles come…” | “祸不单行…” |
[15:48] | Sir? | 什么 |
[15:50] | We’re in the middle of some very delicate business discussions. | 我们正在进行非常要紧的商业会谈 |
[15:54] | This really couldn’t be more inconvenient for the company. | 这对公司简直太不巧了 |
[15:57] | Rather more than “inconvenient” for the victim, wouldn’t you say? | 对死者可不止”不巧”呢 不是吗 |
[16:00] | Thank you, Constable. | 谢谢 警员 |
[16:01] | I think perhaps myself, Inspector Thursday | 我想我 瑟斯戴督察 |
[16:04] | and Sergeant Jakes are sufficient manpower | 和杰克斯警长就足以处理 |
[16:07] | to the task at hand. | 手头的事务了 |
[16:08] | If you’d like to wait outside. | 你还是出去等着吧 |
[16:14] | The victim was a fitter, you said? | 死者是个装配工吗 |
[16:16] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[16:17] | He wouldn’t have used a stopwatch in his work at all? | 他的工作用不上码表吧 |
[16:19] | A stopwatch? | 码表 |
[16:20] | One was found on his body, sir. | 他尸体上发现了一只码表 长官 |
[16:21] | No. I mean, that’s more the sort of thing | 用不上 那种东西 |
[16:23] | one would expect to find the research boys carrying around. | 更可能是研究人员会随身带的 |
[16:26] | But fuselage assembly? | 但是机身装配 |
[16:29] | No. No need for it, I shouldn’t have thought. | 不 也用不上嘛 |
[16:32] | If there was nothing else? | 没别的事了吧 |
[16:34] | Sir. | 是 长官 |
[17:14] | I’m going to need an account from each of you | 我需要你们每个人说出 |
[17:15] | as to your movements between 10:30 and 12:00. | 你们10:30到12点间的行踪 |
[17:18] | From us? | 我们 |
[17:20] | This will be some falling out on the shop floor, surely. | 这就是工厂内的矛盾吧 |
[17:23] | Over money or a girl or something. | 为了钱 或是女人什么的 |
[17:27] | Talk to Tracepurcel. | 去找崔斯帕索 |
[17:28] | Reg Tracepurcel. | 雷吉·崔斯帕索 |
[17:30] | Shop steward. | 他是工会代表 |
[17:31] | He knows the ins and outs of these people. | 他对这些人了若指掌 |
[17:32] | At least he should do. | 至少他该了解的 |
[17:34] | What the union pays him for. | 那是工会付他工资的原因 |
[17:35] | Who is it’s died? | 死的是谁 |
[17:36] | You wouldn’t know him; man called Malleson. | 你不会认识他的 他叫马勒森 |
[17:40] | Percy Malleson? | 珀西·马勒森吗 |
[17:41] | Fuselage assembly? | 机身装配 |
[17:44] | I was casting an eye over the payroll. | 我瞄了一眼工资单 |
[17:46] | You were? | 是吗 |
[17:47] | Hard to believe, I know, | 我知道难以置信 |
[17:48] | but my interests do extend beyond the realm of Horse and Hound. | 但我感兴趣的东西可不止马术杂志 |
[17:50] | Since when? | 什么时候开始的 |
[17:53] | Well, I’ve never heard of him, | 我没听说过他 |
[17:54] | I’m afraid. | 抱歉了 |
[17:55] | It’s impossible to know all their names. | 不可能把他们的名字都记下 |
[17:57] | Harry did. | 哈利就记得 |
[17:59] | My late brother. | 我去世的哥哥 |
[18:01] | He was very good like that. | 他在这方面很厉害 |
[18:04] | The common touch. | 亲民 |
[18:15] | Can I help you? | 我能帮你什么吗 |
[18:17] | Police. | 警察 |
[18:18] | Miss…? | 小姐 |
[18:20] | Morse? | 摩斯 |
[18:23] | Alice? | 爱丽丝 |
[18:24] | Alice… | 爱丽丝 |
[18:25] | Vexin. | 瓦克辛 |
[18:28] | Of course. | 当然 |
[18:29] | I was across the stair from… | 我楼梯对面就是 |
[18:31] | Susan. | 苏珊 |
[18:32] | Oh, yes, I remember. | 对 我记得 |
[18:38] | Forgive me. You’ve | 原谅我 |
[18:40] | changed your… | 你换了… |
[18:41] | Oh, have I? | 是吗 |
[18:43] | I imagine I must. | 肯定是吧 |
[18:44] | Forgive me, I didn’t recognize you. | 原谅我 我没认出你 |
[18:46] | No earthly reason you should. | 你也没理由认得出嘛 |
[18:47] | I suppose not, six years. | 是啊 都六年了 |
[18:48] | Seven. | 七年 |
[18:51] | I think. | …吧 |
[18:52] | Besides, we only met half a dozen times… | 再说 我们也就见过六次左右 |
[18:54] | properly, anyway. | 超过点头打招呼那种的 |
[18:58] | Though I think Alex Reece and I made a four once | 但我记得有次我和亚历克斯·里斯跟你们四人约会 |
[19:00] | and came upriver with you one Sunday. | 那个周日一起在河里逆流划船 |
[19:03] | That’s right. | 是啊 |
[19:03] | Good heavens. | 老天爷 |
[19:05] | It poured all afternoon. | 整个下午都在下雨 |
[19:07] | Do you remember? | 你记得吗 |
[19:07] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:09] | Morse? | 摩斯 |
[19:13] | My colleague. | 我同事 |
[19:14] | DS Jakes. | 杰克斯警长 |
[19:16] | Miss Alice Vexin. | 这是爱丽丝·瓦克辛小姐 |
[19:17] | You’re the one found the body. | 是你发现了尸体 |
[19:19] | We’re going to need to talk to you, Miss. | 我们得跟您谈谈 小姐 |
[19:21] | Don’t go anywhere. | 别走远 |
[19:22] | Morse? | 摩斯 |
[19:24] | Well, it was… | 很高兴… |
[19:26] | Despite the, uh… | 尽管… |
[19:27] | You too. | 我也是 |
[19:29] | You know her? | 你认识她 |
[19:30] | We were up at the same time. | 我们是同届的学生 |
[19:32] | At Oxford. | 在牛津 |
[19:33] | I know what “up” means. | 我知道”同届”指什么 |
[19:35] | Girlfriend, was she? | 女朋友吗 |
[19:36] | What makes you say that? | 你为什么那么说 |
[19:38] | Way she looked at you. | 她看你的样子 |
[19:39] | Tell you, play your cards right, mate, | 可别出错招 伙计 |
[19:41] | you’re on a promise there. | 你跟她有戏 |
[19:43] | Nice bit of homework too. | 也能顺道套话 |
[19:50] | Don’t do yourself any favors, do you? | 你真不会讨领导喜欢 是吧 |
[19:53] | Without fear or favor. | 不屈不移 |
[19:55] | Isn’t that the job? | 那不是职责所在吗 |
[19:57] | Well, for now, | 现在 |
[19:58] | your job is statements and particulars from the factory side. | 你的职责就是去工厂录口供 记录个人信息 |
[20:02] | We need to know where everybody was and what they were doing | 我们需要知道每个人10:30到12点间 |
[20:04] | between half-ten and noon. | 在哪 在干什么 |
[20:06] | How many? | 多少人 |
[20:08] | Few hundred. | 几百吧 |
[20:10] | Should keep you out of mischief. | 应该能让你无暇闯祸了 |
[20:27] | Anyone he’d had a falling out with, do you know? | 你知道他跟谁有不和吗 |
[20:29] | So you also work on fuselage assembly, is that right? | 你也是机身装配线的工人 是吧 |
[20:32] | Yeah. | 对 |
[20:34] | And how well did you know Mr. Malleson? | 你对马勒森先生有多了解 |
[20:37] | Morning, evening. | 就打个招呼 |
[20:39] | Didn’t have much to say for himself. | 他不怎么说话 |
[20:41] | Clocked on, clocked off. | 打卡上班 打卡下班 |
[20:43] | About it. | 就这样了 |
[20:44] | Anyone on his section he was particular pals with? | 他是否跟附近工位的什么人关系很好 |
[20:48] | No one he sat with regularly at lunch? | 午餐时他不会固定跟谁坐在一起吗 |
[20:50] | Like I say, | 我说了 |
[20:51] | he didn’t go out of his way to mix. | 他并没努力结交朋友 |
[20:54] | All right. | 好吧 |
[20:55] | Well, thank you. | 那谢谢你了 |
[20:57] | That’s all for now. | 暂时就这样吧 |
[21:03] | Got everything you need, sir? | 不缺什么吧 长官 |
[21:05] | Yes, thank you, Mr. Tracepurcel. | 是的 谢谢 崔斯帕索先生 |
[21:08] | How many more? | 还有多少个 |
[21:10] | You’re about halfway through. | 你大概问完一半了 |
[21:12] | But it won’t be any of my members. | 但绝不会是我们工会的人 |
[21:13] | I can tell you that. | 我告诉你 |
[21:14] | They’re good blokes. | 他们都是好人 |
[21:16] | This’ll be someone off site. | 肯定是外来的人 |
[21:17] | One day in the year this place is packed with strangers | 全年就这一天这里来了一堆陌生人 |
[21:20] | and this happens. | 就发生了这种事 |
[21:20] | Any bugger could’ve wandered in. | 什么人都可能溜进来 |
[21:23] | And I don’t mean this to be disrespectful, | 我没有不敬的意思 |
[21:26] | but it was your lot had security of the place. | 但可是你们负责的安保 |
[21:33] | The Arabs arrived about 10:30, | 阿拉伯人大概10:30到达 |
[21:35] | so I amused myself in Henry’s office. | 所以我就在亨利办公室里自娱自乐 |
[21:38] | Doing what? | 做什么 |
[21:39] | Playing Patience. | 玩单人纸牌游戏 |
[21:41] | Happily, a game at which I excel. | 玩得很开心 这游戏我很擅长 |
[21:43] | That was till what time? | 一直到几点 |
[21:45] | About quarter past 11:00, when Estella arrived. | 大概11:15 艾丝戴拉这时来了 |
[21:49] | The meeting broke up shortly afterwards, | 之后不久会议就结束了 |
[21:51] | and we all went across to greet Her Royal Highness. | 我们都去迎接公主殿下了 |
[21:53] | You and Mr. Broom live apart, I understand. | 你和布鲁姆先生分居 是吗 |
[21:56] | For the past ten years. | 十年了 |
[21:57] | I have a place outside Stratford. | 我在斯特拉福德外有栋房子 |
[21:59] | Though until this matter is resolved, | 但直到这事解决 |
[22:00] | I shall be staying at Chinon Court. | 我都会住在奇侬苑 |
[22:03] | The family home. | 家族祖宅 |
[22:25] | Next, please. | 下一位 |
[22:26] | In you go. | 进去吧 |
[22:33] | Be with you in a moment. | 稍等一下 |
[22:36] | This is an inefficient methodology. | 这方法效率太低了 |
[22:41] | You are? | 您是 |
[22:41] | Dr. Werner Volk. | 维纳·沃克博士 |
[22:43] | I am in charge of telemetry and guidance systems | 我是坚决导弹项目遥测 |
[22:45] | for the Standfast missile program. | 和制导系统的负责人 |
[22:47] | My unit is scientific, you understand? | 我们组是负责科研的 明白吗 |
[22:50] | I have nothing to do with the labor force; | 我跟劳工毫无瓜葛 |
[22:52] | therefore I did not know this dead man. | 因此我也根本不认识这个死者 |
[22:55] | So… | 那么 |
[22:56] | I may return to my work? | 我可以回去工作了吗 |
[22:57] | I just need to establish where you were | 我只是需要知道你10:30 |
[23:00] | and what you were doing between 10:30 and noon. | 到12点间人在哪 在干什么 |
[23:02] | Working. | 工作 |
[23:03] | Until perhaps ten minutes before 12:00, | 一直到大概11:50 |
[23:06] | when I left my section and walked across with everyone else | 我离开了工位 跟大家一起到工厂外 |
[23:08] | for the meeting of Her Royal Highness. | 迎接公主殿下 |
[23:10] | Did you go anywhere near the fuselage assembly shed | 你是否去过机身装配车间附近 |
[23:12] | or the office block? | 或是办公楼 |
[23:13] | No. | 没有 |
[23:14] | As I told you. | 我说了 |
[23:16] | I have nothing to do with the labor force. | 我跟劳工毫无瓜葛 |
[23:18] | Or the office. | 跟办公楼的人也是 |
[23:19] | Perhaps if you write my answers down, | 如果你记下我的答案 |
[23:21] | you will not need to repeat the question. | 或许就不用老重复问我了 |
[23:24] | How was it you came to be on the shop floor, Miss Vexin? | 你怎么会去厂房呢 瓦克辛小姐 |
[23:27] | It’s a shortcut from the office to the canteen. | 那是从办公楼到食堂的捷径 |
[23:31] | I was just on my way down the back corridor | 我正从后楼梯下楼 |
[23:33] | when I heard a door slam. | 突然听到了摔门声 |
[23:37] | And I… | 然后 |
[23:40] | It’s all right, take your time. | 没事 慢慢来 |
[23:43] | I noticed the store cupboard door was open. | 我注意到储物间的门开了 |
[23:46] | I went to close it | 我就去关 |
[23:49] | and that’s when I saw the blood. | 这时我就看到了血 |
[23:52] | So, I opened the door and… | 我就把门打开 |
[23:57] | there he was. | 看到他就躺在那儿 |
[23:59] | Who else uses that shortcut? | 还有谁用那条捷径 |
[24:01] | Most of the office staff, I’d have thought. | 办公楼的人应该大都会用 |
[24:03] | It’s a five-minute walk around the block otherwise. | 不然绕办公楼要走五分钟呢 |
[24:06] | But you didn’t see anyone else on the shop floor? | 但你没在厂内看到任何其他人吗 |
[24:08] | No, no, I didn’t. | 没有 |
[24:10] | Thank goodness. | 谢天谢地 |
[24:17] | Listen, I just wanted to say thanks | 我想感谢你 |
[24:19] | for getting me in on this. | 让我来参与 |
[24:22] | All hands. | 全员出动嘛 |
[24:26] | What do you make to it, then? | 你怎么看 |
[24:29] | I think if I was going to murder someone, | 我觉得如果我要杀人 |
[24:33] | I wouldn’t do it in a factory that was crawling with police. | 我不会挑一个到处是警察的工厂 |
[24:37] | So, why here? | 那为何在这里 |
[24:40] | Why now? | 为何选这时候 |
[24:43] | Why today? | 为何选今天 |
[25:23] | Magnificent, isn’t it? | 真了不起 是吧 |
[25:25] | Terrifying, certainly. | 绝对很吓人 |
[25:28] | You’re making progress? | 你有进展吗 |
[25:30] | With your… investigation? | 你的调查 |
[25:32] | Nothing personal, of course, | 请别介意 |
[25:34] | but we’ll be glad to see the back of you. | 但我们很希望你们早点离开 |
[25:36] | Bad for business? | 不利于生意吗 |
[25:37] | Bad for Britain, actually. | 是不利于英国 |
[25:42] | My family has supplied this nation with arms and ordnance | 我们家族自三十年战争起就一直为本国 |
[25:45] | since the Thirty Years War. | 提供军火 |
[25:47] | From Bunker Hill to Balaclava. | 从邦克山到巴拉克拉法帽 |
[25:49] | I know the history, Mr. Broom. | 我了解你们的历史 布鲁姆先生 |
[25:51] | Then you should understand, | 那你就该知道 |
[25:54] | this sale is not just about the company. | 这笔买卖不单单是公司的事 |
[25:57] | It’s about the country. | 而是国家的事 |
[25:58] | Our place in the world. | 事关我们的世界地位 |
[26:01] | I’m sure all concerned want to see the matter resolved quickly | 我相信各方都会希望此事尽快解决 |
[26:06] | and with as little fuss as possible. | 并尽可能不节外生枝 |
[26:09] | Dr. Volk. | 沃克博士 |
[26:24] | Hello again. | 又见了 |
[26:27] | They’ve let us go. | 他们放我们走了 |
[26:28] | Me, anyway. | 至少让我走了 |
[26:30] | I gathered. | 是啊 |
[26:32] | I’d say let’s have a drink, but that’s probably not…? | 我本想约你去喝一杯 但那是不是不… |
[26:35] | No. | 是啊 |
[26:37] | But, maybe when it’s all done. | 但或许等事情结束后吧 |
[26:39] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[26:40] | I’d like that. | 那好啊 |
[26:41] | Catch up. | 叙叙旧 |
[26:43] | Morse, you mustn’t think badly of them. | 摩斯 你别把他们想得太坏 |
[26:45] | They’re all right, really. | 他们其实还好 |
[26:48] | It’s just… | 就是… |
[26:48] | They took Harry’s death very badly. | 哈利的死对他们打击很大 |
[26:51] | When was that? | 那是什么时候 |
[26:52] | Four years ago. | 四年前 |
[26:54] | Some sort of aneurysm in the brain. | 是什么脑动脉瘤 |
[26:56] | Just keeled over at work one day. | 有天工作时突然就倒下了 |
[26:59] | They were all heartbroken. | 他们都心碎了 |
[27:01] | But I think Henr… | 但我觉得亨… |
[27:03] | Mr. Broom Senior, most of all. | 老布鲁姆先生是最受打击的 |
[27:05] | He’d been looking to Harry to take over the company. | 他一直希望哈利能继承公司 |
[27:12] | Let me give you a lift. | 我送你一程吧 |
[27:13] | I don’t want to take you out of your way. | 那太麻烦你了 |
[27:15] | Not at all. | 哪里 |
[27:16] | After the time you’ve had, I insist. | 你受了那样的惊 我坚持 |
[27:22] | The new Bellini. | 新贝里尼 |
[27:24] | Nought to 60 in under seven seconds. | 0到60英里加速不到7秒 |
[27:29] | Time and motion? | 工作效率 |
[27:30] | I think that’s what the stopwatch was for. | 我觉得那就是码表的用途 |
[27:32] | Timing his mates to see | 给他的工友计时 |
[27:33] | how long they took with their work, | 查看他们的工作效率 |
[27:35] | reporting any that were slacking to the management. | 如果有人偷懒 就向管理层打报告 |
[27:37] | That couldn’t have made him very popular. | 那他肯定交不到多少朋友了 |
[27:39] | I don’t think he was. | 他好像的确没朋友 |
[27:42] | Malleson seems to have kept himself to himself. | 马勒森似乎不与人交际 |
[27:44] | Didn’t go out drinking with his workmates. | 也不跟工友们去喝酒 |
[27:46] | Fancy. | 竟有这种人 |
[27:47] | All right, Sergeant. | 行了 警长 |
[27:49] | I got the impression he wasn’t much liked. | 我的印象是大家不怎么喜欢他 |
[27:50] | That might explain the gun. | 那或许是他带枪的原因 |
[27:53] | Found a pistol in his lunchbox. | 在他午餐盒里发现了一把手枪 |
[27:55] | Along with a little notebook keeping tabs on the Brooms. | 还有个记事本 记录着布鲁姆一家的动向 |
[27:59] | Keep that under your hat for now. | 暂时别说出去 |
[28:03] | What the hell’s he doing bringing a gun to work? | 他为什么要带枪上班 |
[28:06] | We thought his family might have an idea, | 我们还想着他家人或许知道 |
[28:08] | but there’s none listed on his employment form. | 但他的入职表上并未列出家人 |
[28:11] | Maybe you should give his lodgings the once-over. | 或许你该去他住处看看 |
[28:13] | Some of my members were of the opinion | 我们一些会员认为 |
[28:15] | that Malleson was a stooge. | 马勒森是个探子 |
[28:17] | For the management. | 给管理层办事 |
[28:18] | A quisling, if you will. | 可以说是内奸 |
[28:20] | A time and motion man. | 查工作效率的 |
[28:22] | What was your view? | 你怎么看呢 |
[28:23] | I wasn’t entirely convinced. | 我并不完全相信 |
[28:25] | But we have got an ongoing dispute over health and safety. | 但我们现在有桩健康安全纠纷 |
[28:29] | An accident on the shop floor. | 厂内发生了一起事故 |
[28:30] | Management discovered evidence of working malpractice, | 管理层如果发现了工人玩忽职守的证据 |
[28:33] | they’d have a pretty strong bargaining chip at the negotiating table. | 他们在谈判桌上可就有好筹码了 |
[28:35] | About the size of it, sir. | 差不多是这样 长官 |
[28:37] | Every day! | 每天都这样 |
[28:38] | I’m sick of it! | 我受够了 |
[28:40] | Bloody pawing! | 毛手毛脚的 |
[28:42] | This is meant to be a place of work. | 这可是工作场所 |
[28:44] | All right, Brenda love, calm down. | 行了 布伦达 冷静点 |
[28:45] | You have ’em grab your arse, every time you go by, | 又不是你每次经过都被人抓屁股 |
[28:47] | try and touch you up. | 被人摸来摸去 |
[28:48] | See how you like it! | 换你会怎么想 |
[28:50] | Look, just a bit of cajolery, nobody is getting hurt. | 他们就是胡闹 又没人受伤 |
[28:53] | I might’ve known you’d stick up for ’em. | 我就知道你会替他们说话 |
[28:55] | You’re no better. | 你也好不到哪去 |
[28:56] | Yeah, all right. | 行了 |
[28:56] | Get yourself an eyeful every chance. | 逮着机会就一饱眼福 |
[28:58] | Men, you’re all the bloody same! | 你们男人都一样 |
[29:00] | All right, thank you, Brenda. | 行了 谢谢 布伦达 |
[29:02] | On your way. | 走吧 |
[29:03] | Don’t be making trouble for yourself. | 别给自己找麻烦 |
[29:06] | I’m sorry, gents, she’s usually good as gold. | 抱歉 先生们 她平时挺不错的 |
[29:10] | Full moon. | 满月让人毛躁吧 |
[30:31] | I understand you’ve had some problems with the union | 据我所知 你因为工厂的安全问题 |
[30:34] | over the factory’s safety record. | 跟工会有些不和 |
[30:36] | There was an accident recently | 最近是出了起事故 |
[30:39] | in one of the machine sheds. | 发生在一个车间 |
[30:41] | A chap called Curtis got his arm crushed. | 一个叫柯蒂斯的压碎了手臂 |
[30:44] | His colleague’s fault. | 是他同事的责任 |
[30:46] | Man by the name of Frost. | 叫弗罗斯特 |
[30:48] | Lenny Frost. | 兰尼·弗罗斯特 |
[30:49] | No malice in it, just a moment’s inattention, | 并无恶意 只是溜号了一下 |
[30:51] | but he’s suspended | 但他被停职了 |
[30:53] | pending the Factory Board of Inquiry’s findings. | 等待工厂调查委员会给出结果 |
[30:56] | The union’s threatening action | 工会威胁如果不 |
[30:57] | unless Frost is reinstated, is that right? | 恢复弗罗斯特的工作就会采取行动 是吗 |
[30:59] | The union is always threatening action, Inspector. | 工会总是威胁要采取行动 督察 |
[31:03] | A fact of modern business life. | 这就是现代商业的常态 |
[31:04] | Nevertheless, I’d imagine a strike is | 不管怎样 考虑到这单买卖 |
[31:06] | the last thing you need | 你最不希望发生的 |
[31:07] | with this sales negotiation going on. | 应该就是罢工了 |
[31:08] | It won’t come to that. | 不会那样的 |
[31:10] | It’s been suggested | 有人认为 |
[31:11] | Mr. Malleson may have been put on the shop floor | 马勒森先生可能是管理层 |
[31:13] | by management to report on his colleagues. | 安插在厂里 刺探他同事的 |
[31:15] | By whom? | 谁说的 |
[31:16] | Tracepurcel? | 崔斯帕索吗 |
[31:17] | Bloody Red. | 该死的共产党 |
[31:18] | Look, that sort of thing | 那种事 |
[31:21] | may still go on in other factories, | 可能其他工厂里还有 |
[31:22] | but that’s simply not the way things work anymore. | 但我们现在不会这么办事了 |
[31:26] | Frontrunner at the moment’s a lad called Frost, sir. | 目前的头号嫌疑人叫弗罗斯特 长官 |
[31:28] | Lenny Frost. | 兰尼·弗罗斯特 |
[31:30] | From what we’ve picked up, Malleson landed him in it. | 据我们了解 是马勒森陷害了他 |
[31:33] | A private grudge? | 私怨吗 |
[31:35] | We’ve ruled out most of the rest of the workers, | 我们排除了大部分其他工人 |
[31:37] | but as far as the family is concerned, | 但就布鲁姆一家而言 |
[31:39] | there’s not one of them with a watertight alibi. | 他们并无一人有严密的不在场证明 |
[31:41] | The family? | 布鲁姆一家 |
[31:42] | Why would any of them wish him harm? | 他们中怎么会有人想伤害他 |
[31:44] | Malleson had been keeping them under observation. | 马勒森一直在观察他们 |
[31:47] | To what end? | 为了什么目的 |
[31:49] | Not clear yet, sir. | 尚不清楚 长官 |
[31:50] | But there’s a corridor to the office block. | 但有条通往办公楼的走廊 |
[31:53] | It wouldn’t have taken anyone more than | 谁都可能在几分钟内 |
[31:54] | a couple of minutes to kill Malleson and hide the body. | 杀死马勒森 然后掩藏尸体 |
[31:58] | Or someone visiting, of course. | 也可能是外来的吧 |
[32:00] | There were enough guests there. | 当时有很多来宾 |
[32:02] | I’m trying to arrange a meeting with Crown Prince Nabil, | 我在努力安排见纳比尔王储一面 |
[32:05] | but what connection his party might have to Malleson… | 但他们的人跟马勒森能有什么联系… |
[32:11] | Well, whatever you do, tread lightly. | 不管怎样 小心行事 |
[32:13] | It’s not just matters of business at stake here, | 这不仅事关生意 |
[32:15] | but matters of state. | 还事关国家 |
[32:20] | Kid gloves, sir. | 绝对小心 长官 |
[32:22] | Was that the, uh, assistant chief constable’s car I saw earlier? | 我之前看到的是助理警察局长的车吗 |
[32:31] | 34 years. | 34年了 |
[32:35] | If this matter in any way touches the palace, | 如果此事与王室产生任何瓜葛 |
[32:37] | I’ve been left in no doubt as to | 我已经被很明确地告知 |
[32:39] | where the buck will come to rest. | 这责任会由谁来担 |
[32:45] | Well, it’s awfully nice to go traveling, as they say. | 如人所说 旅行是件美事 |
[32:48] | You’ll excuse me, | 不好意思 |
[32:49] | but I’ve hung out all the flags I’m going to for one day. | 但我今天已经应酬够了 |
[32:53] | Might we forego the amateur traumatics this evening? | 我们今晚能不能别互相伤害了 |
[32:58] | Some hope. | 那就好了 |
[32:59] | Well, here we are. | 看看我们啊 |
[33:00] | One great big happy loving family. | 一个幸福有爱的大家族 |
[33:04] | When were we all together last? | 我们上次齐聚一堂是什么时候了 |
[33:07] | Don’t start. | 别提 |
[33:09] | I won’t have his name dragged through the muck. | 我不许他的名字被玷污 |
[33:11] | I mean it, Mother. | 我说真的 妈妈 |
[33:12] | Of course you do. | 当然了 |
[33:14] | Until push comes to shove, | 除非到了关键时刻 |
[33:15] | and then Richard looks to Richard. | 理查德就又是那副老样子了 |
[33:17] | You can draw as much blood from me as you like. | 随你怎么损我 |
[33:19] | Just leave Harry out of it, do you hear? | 但别扯上哈利 好吗 |
[33:21] | – Or as God’s my witness… – Yes? | -否则苍天作证 我… -怎么 |
[33:24] | You’ll what? | 你要怎样 |
[33:29] | You haven’t got it in you. | 你没那个本事 |
[33:32] | Once, poor darling, but not anymore. | 曾经或许有 但现在没有了 |
[33:37] | What we’re hearing, Len, | 据我们了解 兰 |
[33:38] | is there was bad blood between you and Percy Malleson | 你和珀西·马勒森之间有私仇 |
[33:41] | on account of him landing you in it at work. | 因为他在工厂里陷害了你 |
[33:45] | I don’t know nothing about that. | 我可不知道有这么回事 |
[33:46] | So what were you doing there today? | 那你今天为什么去那儿 |
[33:48] | You’re suspended. | 你被停职了 |
[33:50] | Not meant to be going anywhere near the place. | 按说根本不该靠近那里 |
[33:53] | You were seen, Lenny. | 有人看见你了 兰尼 |
[33:54] | Yeah, by who? | 谁 |
[33:56] | Because whoever said that is a liar. | 说这话的人就是撒谎 |
[34:01] | Look, I have a wife, a kid, | 我有妻有子 |
[34:06] | another on the way. | 我老婆还怀了 |
[34:08] | You really think I’d do something to risk all that? | 你们真觉得我会拿他们冒险吗 |
[34:12] | He lost you your job. | 他害你丢了工作 |
[34:16] | There’s other jobs. | 工作还能找 |
[34:19] | I might’ve wanted to stick one on him, | 我或许是想报复他 |
[34:24] | but murder? | 但杀人 |
[34:25] | No. | 不 |
[34:27] | You got the wrong bloke. | 你们抓错人了 |
[34:55] | How did you make out at his lodgings? | 你在他的住处有什么发现 |
[34:57] | Nothing so far as next of kin’s concerned. | 目前没发现什么亲属的信息 |
[34:59] | But he may have been living abroad. | 但他之前可能一直在国外生活 |
[35:01] | There was a suitcase bearing | 有个行李箱上 |
[35:02] | a Union-Castle Line luggage label. | 有尤卡航运的行李标签 |
[35:04] | That’s South Africa, isn’t it? | 那是南非的航线吧 |
[35:07] | I’ll get them to check their passenger lists first thing. | 我明天一早就去让他们查旅客名单 |
[35:10] | Jakes said you know Broom’s secretary. | 杰克斯说你认识布鲁姆的秘书 |
[35:13] | Miss Vexin, that right? | 瓦克辛小姐 是吗 |
[35:15] | Knew. | 以前认识 |
[35:16] | I’ve not seen her in years. | 我们好多年没见了 |
[35:17] | She’d be well placed to know | 按说她应该很了解 |
[35:18] | all the family skeletons, I’d have thought. | 这家人的秘密吧 |
[35:20] | See what you can get out of her. | 看你能从她那儿套到什么话 |
[35:21] | She’s a friend… sort of. | 她算是我的朋友 |
[35:22] | She’s a suspect. | 她是嫌疑人 |
[35:26] | What’s all this, then? | 这些又是什么 |
[35:27] | Oh, nothing… probably. | 没什么 可能没什么吧 |
[35:30] | “Nothing” with you usually means something. | 你的”没什么”一般都是有什么 |
[35:32] | So, out with it. | 所以 说吧 |
[35:35] | Well, just struck me as odd, that’s all. | 我就是觉得奇怪 |
[35:38] | There’s another pair of these at Malleson’s flat. | 马勒森公寓里还有一双这个 |
[35:40] | Cribb and Co.? | 克里布公司 |
[35:43] | Can’t be that many on the assembly line at BIEC | 英帝电气公司的装配线上 |
[35:45] | wearing handmade shoes, I wouldn’t have thought? | 应该没几个人穿手工鞋吧 |
[36:01] | We’d nothing to hold him on. | 我们没理由扣他 |
[36:02] | I thought you had a witness could put him at the factory? | 不是有目击者证明他去过工厂吗 |
[36:04] | Rang through first thing to withdraw their statement. | 今天一早就来电 撤回了口供 |
[36:07] | What’s this, union skullduggery? | 这是工会在捣鬼吗 |
[36:10] | Possibly. | 可能吧 |
[36:11] | I shouldn’t have thought there’s any possibly about it. | 没什么可能吧 是肯定 |
[36:13] | If it’s got around that Malleson was a time and motion man, | 马勒森是工效探子的事传开了 |
[36:16] | they’re not about to let one of their own swing for it. | 他们才不会让自己人为此背锅 |
[36:19] | They’ll close ranks. | 他们会统一口径的 |
[36:23] | So… | 那么 |
[36:25] | we’re back to square one. | 我们又回到了原点 |
[36:32] | Ah… the Prince of Wales. | 威尔士亲王 |
[36:34] | We haven’t made this particular model | 这款鞋我们有十年 |
[36:35] | for about ten years. | 没做过了 |
[36:38] | Well, the customer is clearly a gentleman | 这位顾客显然是个很有品味 |
[36:40] | of great taste and discernment. | 和眼光的先生 |
[36:44] | Yes, well, um… | 是啊 |
[36:45] | it’s well cared for. | 护理得很好 |
[36:47] | Size eight and a half. | 8.5号 |
[36:52] | Oh, interesting. | 有意思 |
[36:54] | We’ve built up the instep quite considerably | 脚背处垫得很高 |
[36:56] | to afford support | 以提供支撑 |
[36:59] | and additional comfort. | 这样也额外舒适 |
[37:01] | Yes, I should be able to chivvy him out for you. | 我应该能帮你找到他 |
[37:04] | I arrived with my delegation | 我跟我的代表团 |
[37:06] | at 20 past 10:00. | 是10:20到的 |
[37:09] | We went into the meeting. | 我们去开了会 |
[37:11] | That lasted about an hour, | 大概开了一个小时 |
[37:14] | and then we went across for the unveiling of the new Standfast. | 然后就去参加新坚决导弹的揭幕了 |
[37:18] | Did any of your party | 你们中是否有人 |
[37:19] | leave the meeting at any time? | 在中途离开过会议 |
[37:25] | What would I or my people have to gain | 杀一个英国工人对我和我的手下 |
[37:27] | from killing a British workman? | 能有什么好处 |
[37:30] | I will ask, of course. | 不过我会去问的 |
[37:32] | But to the best of my recollection, no. | 但据我记得 没有 |
[37:35] | We were guests, | 我们是客人 |
[37:37] | and in the presence of our hosts at all times. | 而且一直跟东道主在一起 |
[37:40] | We make a last for each of our customers, | 我们会为每位客人做个鞋楦 |
[37:44] | taking into account | 并且会顾及到 |
[37:46] | any idiosyncrasies of the foot. | 他们脚型的独特之处 |
[37:50] | Hallux Valgus. | 拇指外翻 |
[37:51] | Polydactyly. | 多指趾畸形 |
[37:53] | Syndactyly. | 并趾 |
[37:55] | Rather like fingerprints. | 就像指纹一样 |
[38:02] | Malleson, would it be? | 马勒森 是吗 |
[38:03] | Percy Malleson? | 珀西·马勒森 |
[38:04] | No. | 不是 |
[38:05] | This is a Mr. Kendrick. | 是肯德里克先生 |
[38:08] | Eustace Kendrick. | 尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[38:09] | A student at Curtmantle, by the address. | 看地址 是柯曼特的学生 |
[38:14] | Yes. He had two pair of us | 是的 他1953年5月 |
[38:16] | in May ’53. | 跟我们做了两双 |
[38:20] | Oh, it would appear the bill is still outstanding. | 看来他还没付账呢 |
[38:26] | Oh, yes, of course, that Kendrick. | 对了 那个肯德里克 |
[38:30] | The business with the, um… | 就是那件事 |
[38:31] | with the Rix girl. | 那个里克斯姑娘 |
[38:34] | It was all over the papers. | 报上都报了 |
[38:45] | Scotch. | 威士忌 |
[38:46] | That’s right, isn’t it? | 是吧 |
[38:47] | What’s this? | 这是干什么 |
[38:49] | Cessation of hostilities? | 休战吗 |
[38:52] | We’re on the same side, Morse. | 我们是一边的 摩斯 |
[38:55] | So? Any luck? | 有发现吗 |
[38:57] | The Olive Rix case | 奥莉芙·里克斯案 |
[38:57] | was one of my first bylines at the Mail. | 是我在《邮报》最早的署名报道之一呢 |
[39:01] | But it was a county investigation, not City Police. | 但那是郡警局的案子 不是市警局 |
[39:04] | What’s your interest? | 你为什么想知道 |
[39:05] | Just something I’m looking at. | 就是想查查 |
[39:07] | Too early to say. | 现在说还为时尚早 |
[39:10] | If anything comes of it, you’ll have it first. | 如果真查到什么 第一个告诉你 |
[39:12] | Exclusive? | 独家吗 |
[39:13] | I can’t promise. | 我无法保证 |
[39:20] | Olive Rix was a Barnados girl. | 奥莉芙·里克斯来自伯纳多斯 |
[39:22] | From the Midlands. | 那是中部地区 |
[39:23] | Bright. | 挺聪明 |
[39:24] | Got herself a place at Bicester Agricultural College. | 挤进了比斯特农业学院 |
[39:27] | Coronation Day she disappeared. | 她在加冕日失踪了 |
[39:31] | June 2, 1953. | 1953年6月2日 |
[39:35] | With all the celebrations, | 因为庆典事宜 |
[39:36] | it was a couple of days before the police took it seriously | 警方直到几日后才开始重视起来 |
[39:38] | as a missing persons case. | 当做失踪人口处理 |
[39:41] | The boyfriend fell suspect. | 男友成了嫌疑人 |
[39:43] | Eustace Kendrick. | 尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[39:44] | That’s right. | 对 |
[39:45] | There was some talk he’d got her in trouble. | 有传言说他把她肚子搞大了 |
[39:48] | But before charges could be brought, | 但还没对他提起任何指控 |
[39:50] | he left the country. | 他就出国了 |
[39:51] | And Olive? | 奥莉芙呢 |
[39:54] | No body was ever found. | 始终没发现尸体 |
[39:57] | What’s this all about? | 这到底怎么回事 |
[39:59] | I’d have thought you’d have your hands full at British Imperial | 你按说该在英帝电气忙得不可开交 |
[40:01] | rather than digging up some 12-year-old missing person’s case. | 而不是来挖一宗12年的失踪案 |
[40:08] | How did you find me? | 你怎么找到我的 |
[40:10] | The original press report | 最初的新闻报道里 |
[40:11] | gave a name and address for Eustace’s mother. | 有尤斯特斯母亲的姓名和地址 |
[40:13] | Her neighbors said she was in a hospice. | 她的邻居说她在临终关怀医院 |
[40:16] | Who gave you my name? | 他们告诉了你我的名字吗 |
[40:18] | Outside of Eustace, | 除了尤斯特斯 |
[40:19] | Aunt Lavinia’s the only family I have. | 拉维妮娅姑妈是我唯一的亲人了 |
[40:22] | You’re sure it’s him? | 你确定是他吗 |
[40:26] | We’ll need you to make a formal identification, | 我们还需要你正式认尸 |
[40:28] | but… | 但是 |
[40:29] | I’m afraid that appears to be the case. | 恐怕是他没错了 |
[40:33] | Poor Eustace. | 可怜的尤斯特斯 |
[40:37] | He didn’t do it, you know. | 不是他干的 |
[40:39] | Olive. | 奥莉芙 |
[40:40] | Then why did he run away? | 那他为什么要逃 |
[40:42] | Panicked? | 慌了吗 |
[40:43] | 20 years old, with everything that was being said. | 他才20岁 人们都说是他干的 |
[40:46] | If it had gone against him, | 如果情况对他不利 |
[40:47] | it would have been the rope. | 他就会被判绞刑 |
[40:49] | Of course once he’d gone… | 当然了 他一跑… |
[40:52] | Have you any thought as to why he might return now, | 你是否知道他为何会现在回来 |
[40:55] | after all this time? | 都过这么久了 |
[40:57] | When Aunt Lavinia took ill, | 拉维妮娅姑妈生病后 |
[40:59] | I put a notice in the Times, | 我在《泰晤士报》上登了告示 |
[41:01] | six, seven months ago. | 那大概是六七个月前 |
[41:03] | Hoping word might reach him. | 希望他会收到消息 |
[41:04] | Had he been with her long? | 她跟他在一起很久了吗 |
[41:06] | Olive Rix? | 奥莉芙·里克斯 |
[41:08] | A few months. | 几个月吧 |
[41:11] | But the situation was… | 但当时的情况 |
[41:13] | complex. | 挺复杂的 |
[41:16] | Olive was… | 奥莉芙 |
[41:18] | already involved. | 已经另有情人了 |
[41:19] | With whom I don’t know, | 是谁我不知道 |
[41:23] | but from what I could glean, he sounded the jealous type. | 但据我所知 他似乎是善妒的人 |
[41:25] | Older, I think. | 好像要比她大 |
[41:28] | All I can tell you is the Eustace I knew | 我只能告诉你 我所认识的尤斯特斯 |
[41:32] | was the gentlest, kindest of boys. | 是最温柔最善良的男孩 |
[41:36] | He’d never have done anything to that girl. | 他绝不会把那姑娘怎么样的 |
[41:44] | Thank you for your help. | 多谢帮忙 |
[41:51] | So Percy Malleson is in fact this Eustace Kendrick? | 珀西·马勒森其实是尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[41:56] | Where the hell’s he been until now? | 那他此前一直在哪 |
[41:58] | Until most recently, South Africa. | 直到最近 都在南非 |
[42:00] | I’ve had Union-Castle check their lists. | 我让尤卡航运查了他们的名单 |
[42:03] | A passenger called Malleson sailed from Durban | 一名叫马勒森的乘客乘坐潘丹尼斯堡号 |
[42:06] | on the Pendennis Castle | 从德班起航 |
[42:07] | and arrived in Southampton on the 5th of April. | 于4月5日到达南安普顿 |
[42:10] | And he started at British Imperial when? | 他什么时候在英帝电气入职的 |
[42:12] | Two weeks later. | 两周后 |
[42:14] | His mother is dying. | 他母亲要死了 |
[42:15] | I think Kendrick came back to see her. | 我觉得肯德里克是回来看她的 |
[42:17] | But of course to do that, | 但为此 |
[42:18] | he’d have first needed to clear his name. | 他得先洗清罪名 |
[42:20] | That’s my reading of it. | 我也是这么理解的 |
[42:22] | He’s got himself in at BIEC | 他潜入英帝电气 |
[42:24] | thinking the real culprit is someone there. | 肯定是认为真正的罪魁在那里 |
[42:26] | There’s this notebook he was keeping on the Broom family, | 他有本记录了布鲁姆家族行踪的 |
[42:28] | their comings and goings. | 笔记本 |
[42:30] | Why would Kendrick think this girl’s disappearance | 肯德里克为什么会认为这姑娘的失踪 |
[42:33] | had anything to do with the Brooms? | 跟布鲁姆家族有关 |
[42:35] | I don’t know, sir, | 我不知道 长官 |
[42:37] | but I’ve taken a look at the agricultural college | 但我去了奥莉芙·里克斯上的 |
[42:39] | that Olive Rix attended. | 那所农业学院 |
[42:40] | It’s a huge place out at Bicester. | 学校很大 就在比斯特外 |
[42:42] | But the point is, its land borders Chinon Court. | 但重点是 其地界跟奇侬苑接壤 |
[42:46] | The Brooms’ estate, sir. | 布鲁姆家的家族庄园 长官 |
[42:49] | According to county records, | 根据郡记录 |
[42:50] | the family were questioned at the time of her disappearance. | 她失踪时 他们一家还接受过询问 |
[43:02] | Coronation Day? | 加冕日 |
[43:04] | That’s… | 那… |
[43:05] | That’s 12 years ago. | 那都是12年前了 |
[43:07] | A missing girl, you say? | 一个失踪女孩吗 |
[43:08] | Olive Rix. | 奥莉芙·里克斯 |
[43:09] | She was 20 years old. | 她当时20岁 |
[43:11] | Never heard of her. | 没听说过 |
[43:15] | No. As I said. | 没见过 我说了 |
[43:17] | According to the record of the original inquiry, | 根据最初调查的记录 |
[43:20] | you were questioned. | 你也接受了询问 |
[43:21] | I was? | 是吗 |
[43:23] | Yes. | 是的 |
[43:24] | Henry Broom said | 亨利·布鲁姆说 |
[43:26] | no one had been out of the house for the entire day | 那一整天都没人离过家 |
[43:29] | due to watching the Coronation on the television set. | 因为大家都在看电视里的加冕仪式 |
[43:32] | Henry? | 亨利 |
[43:33] | My son, perhaps. | 是我儿子吧 |
[43:35] | Henry Junior. | 小亨利 |
[43:37] | Harry, to us. | 我们喊他哈利 |
[43:40] | As Miss Vixen’s… | 狐狸精小姐[发音相近] |
[43:41] | I’m so sorry, Miss Vexin’s presence here | 真抱歉 光看瓦克辛小姐 |
[43:45] | no doubt will confirm, Inspector, | 就能知道 督察 |
[43:46] | my husband is a fool for beauty. | 我丈夫很容易被美色迷惑 |
[43:49] | Nora… | 诺拉 |
[43:49] | You didn’t hire her for her shorthand. | 你可不是为了她的速记能力雇了她 |
[43:53] | Henry likes to surround himself with pretty things… | 亨利喜欢各种美丽的事物 |
[43:55] | horses, paintings… | 马 画 |
[43:59] | If he’d have met this girl, | 如果他见过这姑娘 |
[44:02] | he would have remembered. | 他肯定能记住 |
[44:04] | Believe me. | 相信我 |
[44:06] | Would you excuse me? | 失陪了 |
[44:11] | Oh, dear, one just can’t get the staff. | 天啊 员工的心思真难猜 |
[44:13] | You’ll forgive me, | 不好意思 |
[44:14] | but I’m hard pressed to see | 但我不懂 |
[44:15] | what this Rix girl has to do with what happened yesterday. | 这个姑娘里克斯跟昨天的事有何关系 |
[44:21] | The man murdered at your factory, Mr. Broom, | 在您工厂被杀的男人 布鲁姆先生 |
[44:23] | the man you knew as Percy Malleson, | 你所知的珀西·马勒森 |
[44:26] | turns out his real name was Eustace Kendrick. | 真名其实是尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[44:30] | He’d been Olive Rix’s boyfriend | 他当时是奥莉芙·里克斯的男友 |
[44:32] | and was strongly suspected | 她失踪后 |
[44:33] | of being involved in her disappearance. | 他成了头号怀疑对象 |
[44:36] | Good heavens. | 老天爷 |
[44:38] | On the morning of the Coronation, | 加冕仪式当日早上 |
[44:39] | Olive had been working at Half-Farthing piggery. | 奥莉芙在哈法辛猪舍工作 |
[44:43] | Her path back to the college | 她从学院往回走时 |
[44:44] | may have taken her through Great Wood. | 可能会穿过大树林 |
[44:45] | Your land, isn’t it? | 那是你们的地盘吧 |
[44:46] | There’s a public right of way. | 但是有公共路权 |
[44:48] | Public right of trespass. | 公共擅闯权差不多 |
[44:49] | You’re not seriously suggesting that someone here | 你们不真是想说 这里的什么人 |
[44:52] | had something to do with what happened with this girl? | 跟这女孩的失踪有关吧 |
[44:54] | It would seem Eustace Kendrick thought so. | 看来尤斯特斯·肯德里克是这么想的 |
[44:57] | And now he’s dead. | 现在他又死了 |
[45:08] | There is nothing between us. | 我们之间什么事都没有 |
[45:11] | Nora just likes to… | 诺拉就是喜欢… |
[45:13] | I don’t know. | 怎么说呢 |
[45:15] | Goad him. | 激他 |
[45:18] | I’m sorry, I shouldn’t let her get to me. | 抱歉 我不该被她激怒的 |
[45:21] | You said you’d been with the firm four months when Harry died. | 你说哈利死时 你已经在公司工作四个月了 |
[45:24] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[45:25] | What was he like? | 他什么样 |
[45:29] | Great fun. | 很风趣 |
[45:31] | Most of the time. | 大部分时候是吧 |
[45:32] | He had these moods. | 他也会发脾气 |
[45:34] | The rest of the family | 这种时候 |
[45:34] | were all very careful around him at such times. | 他的家人都会对他小心翼翼的 |
[45:39] | Any idea what was behind them? | 知道是因为什么吗 |
[45:41] | Oh, I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[45:43] | A girl? | 姑娘吗 |
[45:44] | That’s usually the way. | 一般都是这样 |
[45:48] | How long’ve you been back in Oxford? | 你回牛津多久了 |
[45:52] | A couple of months. | 几个月吧 |
[45:54] | You? | 你呢 |
[45:54] | I never left. | 我没离开过 |
[45:56] | Not really. | 没怎么离开 |
[45:58] | I started a post-grad, but… | 我本想读研究生 但… |
[46:01] | I don’t know. | 怎么说呢 |
[46:03] | Worked in a bookshop for a while. | 还在书店干了一阵 |
[46:06] | You read, uh… | 你读的是… |
[46:08] | History. | 历史 |
[46:09] | History. | 对 |
[46:10] | I’d have thought… | 我以为… |
[46:11] | I’d have done something with my life? | 我会有所成就吗 |
[46:13] | I suppose we all “thought.” | 我们大概都会这样”以为”吧 |
[46:17] | What did you do? | 你做了什么 |
[46:19] | After. | 在那之后 |
[46:23] | Knocked about a bit. | 兜兜转转 |
[46:24] | Here and there. | 干了点这个那个 |
[46:25] | I was in the army for a while. | 我从军了一阵 |
[46:28] | You were missed when you left. | 你走后 大家挺想你的 |
[46:31] | I can’t think by whom. | 我想不出谁会想我 |
[46:33] | No. | 是啊 |
[46:37] | But you were. | 但有人想你 |
[46:42] | I suppose I’d better be… | 我还是… |
[46:44] | There’s a board meeting this afternoon, | 今天下午有董事会议 |
[46:45] | ahead of this evening’s dinner with Prince Nabil. | 然后今晚是跟纳比尔王储的晚宴 |
[46:47] | With everything that’s happened, | 因为现在发生的一切 |
[46:48] | – it’s just a bit… – Alice. | -所以有点… -爱丽丝 |
[46:51] | What you were saying. | 之前你说 |
[46:53] | About that drink. | 想一起喝一杯 |
[46:55] | I’m sure it would be all right. | 应该没关系的 |
[46:57] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[46:58] | Old friends. | 老朋友嘛 |
[46:59] | Who could mind that? | 谁会介意呢 |
[47:07] | Perhaps it was Harry who was spoken to. | 或许被问话的真是哈利 |
[47:10] | Convenient, though. | 但说是死人够巧的 |
[47:11] | Damned inconvenient for us. | 对我们就不巧了 |
[47:15] | It’s curious, don’t you think? | 挺奇怪的 不是吗 |
[47:17] | She disappears on one royal occasion, | 她在一次王室活动期间失踪 |
[47:21] | and Kendrick is murdered in the middle of another. | 肯德里克在另一次王室活动期间被杀 |
[47:23] | This is private property. | 这里是私人领地 |
[47:30] | What’re you doing here? | 你们来干什么 |
[47:32] | We’ve just been up to the house, Miss Broom. | 我们刚去过宅子 布鲁姆小姐 |
[47:34] | We had some questions about a girl who went missing 12 years ago, | 我们是来询问一起12年前的失踪案 |
[47:37] | Olive Rix, | 奥莉芙·里克斯 |
[47:38] | the day of the Coronation. | 发生在加冕日那天 |
[47:39] | I wouldn’t know anything about that. | 那我就不知道了 |
[47:41] | She attended the Agricultural College. | 她就在那边的农业学院上学 |
[47:44] | If you regularly rode these woods, | 如果你经常在林子里骑马 |
[47:45] | perhaps your paths may have crossed. | 或许你们碰到过 |
[47:47] | I avoid the public footpath. | 我不会去公共小径 |
[47:49] | On it now, aren’t we? | 这里不就是吗 |
[47:52] | Blucher threw me and bolted. | 布鲁彻把我甩了下来跑了 |
[47:54] | I had to find him and fetch him back. | 我不得不找到它 把它牵回来 |
[47:56] | What about Eustace Kendrick? | 那尤斯特斯·肯德里克呢 |
[47:58] | Does that name mean anything to you? | 这个名字你听过吗 |
[48:00] | Should it? | 我该听过吗 |
[48:02] | He was Olive’s boyfriend. | 他当时是奥莉芙的男友 |
[48:08] | If there’s nothing else. | 如果没别的事 |
[48:10] | You might ask what a girl disappeared 12 years ago | 你可能想问 12年前失踪的女孩 |
[48:13] | has to do with the murder at the factory yesterday. | 跟昨天工厂发生的凶案有什么关系 |
[48:17] | I might. | 或许吧 |
[48:19] | But perhaps such a thing never crossed my mind. | 但或许我根本没想过这问题 |
[48:22] | Perhaps I assume the police know what they’re doing. | 或许我是当警方自有分寸 |
[48:24] | Or perhaps you couldn’t give a damn. | 也或许你是不在乎 |
[48:25] | Try to involve me or any of my family in this | 你如果想把我或我家人扯进来 |
[48:27] | and you’ll discover quite how much of a damn I do give. | 你就会发现我有多在乎了 |
[48:33] | Well? | 那么 |
[48:35] | Are you going to tell me, or aren’t you? | 你们到底还打不打算告诉我了 |
[48:37] | Until yesterday, | 到昨天之前 |
[48:38] | Eustace Kendrick had been working for B.I.E.C. | 尤斯特斯·肯德里克一直在英帝电气工作 |
[48:41] | under the name of Percy Malleson. | 但用的是珀西·马勒森这个名字 |
[48:45] | What a tangle. | 真是团乱麻 |
[48:49] | Down there, you’ve got the piggery. | 那边就是猪舍 |
[48:52] | And the Agricultural College is over there. | 农业学院在那边 |
[48:56] | Give us a shufti at that snap a minute. | 给我看下那张照片 |
[49:11] | About here, don’t you think? | 就是在这里拍的吧 |
[49:17] | She was there, then. | 那她是去过那儿 |
[49:19] | But who with, sir, that’s the question. | 但是跟谁去的 长官 这才是问题所在 |
[49:21] | The Kendrick boy! | 肯德里克啊 |
[49:22] | The photograph was found at his flat. | 那照片是在他公寓发现的 |
[49:24] | According to Kendrick’s cousin, | 据肯德里克的表亲说 |
[49:25] | Olive had been involved with someone else. | 奥莉芙当时另有情人 |
[49:27] | – Someone else? – An older man. | -另有人 -更年长的人 |
[49:29] | Perhaps Olive said something to Kendrick | 或许奥莉芙对肯德里克说过什么 |
[49:30] | which led him to believe | 让他认为 |
[49:31] | it might have been one of the Brooms. | 那人可能是布鲁姆家族的 |
[49:34] | We’ll get to the bottom of it, sir, don’t worry. | 我们能查清的 长官 别担心 |
[49:36] | I beg your pardon? | 什么 |
[49:40] | Who are you to tell me not to worry? | 你算老几 叫我别担心 |
[49:43] | He only meant, sir… | 他只是说 长官 |
[49:44] | I know exactly what he meant, Thursday. | 我清楚他什么意思 瑟斯戴 |
[49:45] | I don’t need you to make excuses for him! | 我不用你替他开脱 |
[49:47] | Damned impertinence! | 太冒失了 |
[49:52] | Hell are you looking at?! | 看什么看 |
[49:53] | You’re not going to find the culprit sat about gawking! | 在这儿干瞪眼是找不到凶手的 |
[49:56] | Get on with your work, all of you! | 快去干活儿 |
[50:04] | They’re back. | 他们又来了 |
[50:05] | The Police. | 警察 |
[50:07] | Of course. | 当然了 |
[50:08] | They won’t stop until they get to the bottom of it. | 他们不查到底是不会罢手的 |
[50:15] | Pa says they’re asking about the Coronation. | 爸爸说他们在问加冕日的事 |
[50:19] | That girl. | 那女孩 |
[50:21] | Turns out Malleson was her boyfriend. | 原来马勒森是她男友 |
[50:34] | Oh, yeah. | 嗯 |
[50:35] | People still talk about the party they threw | 人们还会谈论加冕日那天 |
[50:37] | at Chinon Court for the workers during the Coronation, | 他们在奇侬苑为工人办的派对 |
[50:40] | but before my time though. | 但那是我来之前了 |
[50:43] | Where were you before? | 你当时在哪 |
[50:44] | GPO. | 邮政总局 |
[50:45] | Repairs. | 做维修 |
[50:47] | 15 years. | 干了15年呢 |
[50:49] | Enough to drive you up the pole. | 能把人逼疯到想上电线杆了 |
[50:52] | Which, of course, was the job. | 不过 那就是我的工作 |
[50:54] | But no, it was a grand do by all accounts. | 但其实 工作还不差 |
[50:58] | Not that I hold with all that, you understand. | 但我是不怎么在乎那个 |
[51:01] | All what? | 在乎什么 |
[51:03] | Monarchy. | 君主制 |
[51:04] | Bowing and scraping. | 卑躬屈膝 |
[51:08] | You must have enjoyed | 你肯定很喜欢 |
[51:09] | Her Royal Highness’s visit enormously, then. | 公主殿下的造访了 |
[51:12] | Yeah, well, that’s different, though, isn’t it? | 是啊 但那不一样嘛 |
[51:14] | That’s about trade. | 那是为了生意 |
[51:15] | Jobs. People’s livelihoods. | 工作 生计 |
[51:18] | How’s that? | 怎么说 |
[51:18] | This contract with the Arabs | 这份跟阿拉伯人的合同 |
[51:21] | could be very important for the company. | 对公司可能很重要 |
[51:23] | 36 Standfast missiles. | 36枚坚决导弹 |
[51:25] | So if a bit of royalty helps push it along, | 如果王室来访能促成此事 |
[51:27] | I’m all for it. | 我全力支持 |
[51:31] | Reg, you’d better come quick. | 雷吉 你快来 |
[51:33] | There’s been an accident. | 出事故了 |
[51:42] | What the bloody hell’s happened here? | 这里发生了什么 |
[51:44] | Everything’s perfectly all right, Mr. Tracepurcel. | 一切都好 崔斯帕索先生 |
[51:46] | Oh, aye, it looks it. | 是啊 一看就是 |
[51:47] | The brake on the hydraulic chain-block failed. | 液压起重机的刹车失灵了 |
[51:50] | Could’ve been any one of us. | 可能是我们任何人倒霉 |
[51:51] | Just happened that the trolley was round. | 只是手推车刚好在下面 |
[51:53] | Are you all right, Miss? | 你没事吧 小姐 |
[51:54] | I banged myself. | 我撞到了 |
[51:55] | It could’ve been worse. | 还可能更糟的 |
[51:56] | Too bloody right. | 说得太对了 |
[51:58] | I’ve put in a request for maintenance | 我已经两次要求 |
[51:59] | for these hydraulics twice, | 维修液压设备了 |
[52:01] | and nothing’s been done. | 但你什么都没做 |
[52:02] | I’ll look into it. | 我会调查的 |
[52:04] | You’ll look into it? | 你会调查的 |
[52:06] | Oh, he’s going to look into it, lads. | 他说会调查一下 各位 |
[52:08] | A bit too bloody late for that. | 太迟了吧 |
[52:10] | I said I’ll look into it! | 我都说会调查了 |
[52:11] | Curtis two months back, and now this. | 两个月前的柯蒂斯 现在又这事 |
[52:15] | No. | 不 |
[52:16] | No, I’m calling a general stoppage. | 我要叫大家停工 |
[52:18] | What? Now? | 什么 现在吗 |
[52:19] | Yes, now, Mr. Broom! | 是的 就现在 布鲁姆先生 |
[52:25] | I’ve got to look out for my members. | 我得照顾我的会员 |
[52:41] | What are they saying? | 他们怎么说 |
[52:43] | An accident. | 是事故 |
[52:46] | Tracepurcel’s called a general stoppage. | 崔斯帕索让大家停工了 |
[52:49] | Murder yesterday, an industrial accident today. | 昨天是凶杀 今天是工业事故 |
[52:52] | Goodness. | 老天爷 |
[52:53] | We’d better begin while we still have a company to discuss. | 趁公司还在 我们赶紧开始讨论吧 |
[52:56] | Where would you like me, Henry? | 你要我坐哪 亨利 |
[52:57] | Under the sod. | 棺材里 |
[52:58] | I was that 20 years, | 我是被个混蛋压了20年呢 |
[53:00] | if you remember. | 记得吗 |
[53:01] | So much for infinite variety. | 看来没什么变化呢 |
[53:04] | I’ll take my usual place, | 我还是坐平常的座位吧 |
[53:05] | unless there are any objections. | 除非有人反对 |
[53:17] | Morse. | 摩斯 |
[53:20] | About that drink. | 我们说好的那杯酒 |
[53:23] | I wondered if you were doing anything tonight. | 不知你今晚有事没有 |
[53:26] | Washing my hair. | 就洗洗头发 |
[53:30] | Where? | 去哪 |
[53:32] | When? | 什么时候 |
[53:35] | 9:00, Fox and Hounds. | 9点 狐狸猎犬酒吧 |
[53:37] | Sounds great. | 好啊 |
[53:39] | See you then. | 那到时见 |
[53:40] | See you then. | 到时见 |
[53:42] | It’s a very good deal, Mother. | 是笔好生意 妈妈 |
[53:44] | Europe’s the future, Nora. | 欧洲是未来 诺拉 |
[53:45] | Look at BAC. | 看看英国飞机公司 |
[53:46] | Oh, the entente cordiale? | 政府友善谅解吗 |
[53:48] | How very “now”! | 真时髦 |
[53:49] | What ever happened to vive la différence? | 怎么不宣扬独特性了 |
[53:51] | Look, if we don’t get in, establish partnerships, | 如果我们现在不加入 建立合作关系 |
[53:55] | five, ten years, we’ll have missed the bus. | 等个五年十年 就错过机会了 |
[53:57] | Partnerships, yes. | 合作 行 |
[53:58] | But a merger? | 但合并 |
[54:00] | In my experience, that’s just a polite name | 依我的经验 那只是另一种 |
[54:02] | for another kind of congress altogether. | 媾和的委婉说法 |
[54:04] | And I know who’ll be on top, believe me. | 而且相信我 我知道在上面的会是谁 |
[54:06] | Harry would never have stood for it. | 哈利是绝不会赞同的 |
[54:08] | It was Harry’s idea. | 就是哈利的点子 |
[54:09] | I don’t believe you. | 我不信 |
[54:10] | Believe what you like. | 随你信不信 |
[54:11] | The point’s academic. | 这是客观道理 |
[54:12] | If we don’t go in with the French now, this year, | 我们如果不今年马上跟法国人合作 |
[54:15] | we’re finished. | 我们就完了 |
[54:16] | What do you mean, finished? | 什么意思 完了 |
[54:20] | We’ve sunk everything we have into the new Standfast, | 我们把一切都投入到了新坚决里 |
[54:25] | and more besides. | 还不止 |
[54:26] | Against projected sales. | 超出了预计销售额 |
[54:29] | What about the Arabs? | 阿拉伯人呢 |
[54:30] | They’re about to put in an order for three dozen, aren’t they? | 他们不是要下单买36枚吗 |
[54:37] | Aren’t they? | 不是吗 |
[54:55] | Hello. | 你好 |
[54:57] | Hello. | 你好 |
[55:37] | Strange to be back here again after all these years. | 时隔多年再回来这里感觉好奇怪 |
[55:41] | Fewer students than I remember. | 学生比我记忆里的少多了 |
[55:44] | I expect nowadays they’re all down at the pop-dancing club. | 现在的学生大概都去流行舞厅了 |
[55:47] | Pop-dancing? | 流行舞 |
[55:49] | Or whatever it is that they do. | 反正就是他们现在喜欢做的事 |
[55:54] | So, the police? | 警察啊 |
[55:57] | If you’d asked me, I’d never have… | 如果你问我 我是绝不会… |
[56:00] | You like it? | 你喜欢吗 |
[56:01] | I like the work. | 我喜欢工作本身 |
[56:04] | To be honest, I’m not sure that I fit in. | 老实说 我可能未必很融入环境 |
[56:06] | No. | 是啊 |
[56:08] | You were never like the rest. | 你一向跟其他人不一样 |
[56:11] | I wanted to be. | 我想跟其他人一样的 |
[56:12] | Tried to be, I think. | 我觉得我努力了 |
[56:14] | When? | 哪有啊 |
[56:15] | I did! | 有啊 |
[56:16] | I tried to like Trad, the Angries, Sartre. | 我努力去喜欢爵士乐 愤怒青年运动 萨特 |
[56:22] | French cigarettes. | 法国香烟 |
[56:23] | That’s why I liked you. | 我就喜欢你这点 |
[56:25] | You were difficult. | 你不好相处 |
[56:29] | Different, surely. | 你是说不一样吧 |
[56:31] | Difficult, definitely. | 绝对是不好相处 |
[56:34] | And awkward! | 而且别扭 |
[56:36] | You were all corners, socially. | 你在社交上太不圆滑 |
[56:40] | Ah, well… | 是啊 |
[56:41] | And so angry. | 而且好愤怒 |
[56:44] | Contra mundum. | 气整个世界 |
[56:48] | But yourself, most of all. | 但最主要还是你自己 |
[57:56] | Well, I think we’ve heard quite enough about me. | 我们说够我了 |
[57:58] | Tell me about you. | 跟我说说你吧 |
[57:59] | You mean tell you about the Brooms? | 你是想问布鲁姆一家吧 |
[58:02] | That is why you asked me for a drink. | 那才是你约我来喝酒的原因 |
[58:06] | You must be wondering what’s going on? | 你肯定好奇现在的情况吧 |
[58:08] | I’m a loyal employee. | 我是名忠诚雇员 |
[58:10] | Discreet. | 嘴巴严 |
[58:13] | One question, then. | 那就问一个问题 |
[58:14] | As a policeman, or as a friend? | 作为警察 还是朋友 |
[58:16] | A friend. | 朋友 |
[58:19] | Have you ever heard any of them | 你是否听到过他们任何人 |
[58:20] | mention a girl called Olive Rix? | 提起过奥莉芙·里克斯 |
[58:23] | No. | 没有 |
[58:29] | Look, I’m sorry how everything turned out back then. | 我为当年的事感到遗憾 |
[58:34] | You deserved more. | 你理应得到更好的对待 |
[58:37] | I doubt that, but good of you to say. | 我不那么觉得 但你这么说真好心 |
[58:41] | After all that went the way it did, | 事情变成那样之后 |
[58:43] | I hoped | 我还曾希望 |
[58:44] | you might look to me for something. | 你会想向我寻求点什么 |
[58:48] | Anything. | 什么都行 |
[58:53] | And then you were gone. | 但之后你就走了 |
[58:55] | Lost. | 不见了 |
[59:03] | Why did you wear your hair like that? | 你为什么把头发梳成那样 |
[59:08] | Don’t you like it? | 你不喜欢吗 |
[59:09] | Alice. | 爱丽丝 |
[59:11] | You don’t need to… | 你不用… |
[59:12] | Do I remind you of her? | 我让你想起她了吗 |
[59:13] | Why would you want to? | 你为什么想要像她 |
[59:15] | If that’s what it takes. | 如果只有这样才行的话 |
[59:17] | Do I? | 我像吗 |
[59:25] | Are you still in love with her? | 你还爱着她吗 |
[59:30] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[59:33] | Then you are. | 那你就是还爱着她 |
[59:37] | Maybe you could love me too. | 或许你也可以爱我 |
[59:39] | Just a little. | 就一点点 |
[59:42] | A little would be enough. | 一点点就够了 |
[59:47] | Morse! | 摩斯 |
[59:51] | I’m on call. | 我在当班 |
[59:54] | You have to leave a number. | 你留个电话吧 |
[1:00:16] | Lenny Frost. | 兰尼·弗罗斯特 |
[1:00:19] | So much for staying away from the place. | 还要他别来这里呢 |
[1:00:30] | Morning, sir. | 早 长官 |
[1:00:31] | Thursday. | 瑟斯戴 |
[1:00:34] | What have we got? | 什么情况 |
[1:00:35] | Doctor? | 医生 |
[1:00:36] | Electrocuted. | 电死的 |
[1:00:37] | Rain’s come in through the roof over a length of time. | 雨水随时间推移从屋顶渗下 |
[1:00:40] | Puddled. | 积成了水洼 |
[1:00:42] | Come into contact with a section of split electrical cable, | 一段断开的电线刚好落在上面 |
[1:00:46] | and Bob, or in this case Lenny, | 于是兰尼 |
[1:00:50] | is no longer your uncle. | 就挂了 |
[1:00:52] | His wallet here. | 这是他的钱包 |
[1:00:54] | No question of foul play? | 没有他杀的迹象吗 |
[1:00:56] | Thankfully, that’s a decision for the coroner. | 幸好 那得死因裁判官决断了 |
[1:00:58] | But were I a betting man, I’d be more inclined | 但如果我喜欢打赌 我会更倾向于 |
[1:01:01] | to lay this upon the altar of bad maintenance. | 把这事归咎于维护不当 |
[1:01:03] | There was another here yesterday, wasn’t there? | 昨天这里不是还发生了一起事故吗 |
[1:01:05] | Near miss, at least. | 至少是险些造成事故 |
[1:01:06] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[1:01:08] | Misadventure, then. | 那就是不幸意外 |
[1:01:10] | Unless someone knew he was bound to pass this way. | 除非有人知道他肯定会走这条路 |
[1:01:14] | How would they know that? | 怎么会有人知道 |
[1:01:16] | Those windows lead on to the outside, sir. | 那些窗户通向外面 长官 |
[1:01:19] | If that’s how he’s been getting in and out of the factory, | 如果他是从那里进出工厂的 |
[1:01:21] | it would be easy enough for someone to stage an accident. | 那有人就可以轻松地制造一起事故 |
[1:01:23] | I’m more concerned as to what he was doing here. | 我更想知道他在这里做什么 |
[1:01:26] | Sabotage, maybe? | 搞破坏吧 |
[1:01:28] | Paying the company back for how they’d treated him. | 报复公司对他的不公对待 |
[1:01:31] | I must say, I’m more inclined to an accident. | 我得说 我更倾向于这是事故 |
[1:01:33] | The safety record here doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. | 这里的安全记录可不是很好 |
[1:01:36] | What’s that in his pocket? | 他兜里是什么 |
[1:01:49] | Where did you get this? | 你哪拿到的 |
[1:01:51] | What are they, Dr. Volk? | 这是什么 沃克博士 |
[1:01:53] | Highly confidential research papers. | 机密研究图纸 |
[1:01:55] | Test results and findings | 坚决导弹 |
[1:01:57] | concerning the Standfast’s gyroscopic system. | 回转仪系统的测试结果和发现 |
[1:02:00] | Where would they have come from? | 这应该是放在哪的 |
[1:02:02] | Most of our documentation is held in the archive | 我们大部分文件都放在档案室 |
[1:02:05] | in the basement of the offices, | 在办公楼的地下室里 |
[1:02:07] | but this was taken from this workshop. | 但这份 是从这个车间拿的 |
[1:02:10] | Who besides yourself would have an interest in such material? | 除了你 还有谁会对这份资料感兴趣 |
[1:02:12] | This is information of a sensitive commercial nature. | 这些信息有敏感的商业价值 |
[1:02:16] | Our rivals, perhaps? | 或许是我们的对手 |
[1:02:18] | Beyond that, I am not qualified to express an opinion. | 除此之外 我没有资格表达意见 |
[1:02:20] | “Volk”? What’s that? German, is it? | “沃克” 德国名字吧 |
[1:02:23] | Worked long at British Imperial? | 在英帝电气干很久了吗 |
[1:02:26] | 18 years. | 18年了 |
[1:02:27] | What’d that be, early ’47? | 什么时候来的 1947年初吗 |
[1:02:53] | What was that all about? | 那是怎么回事 |
[1:02:55] | It was him and a load more like him flattened my street. | 就是他和很多他那样的人炸平了我的街道 |
[1:02:58] | I’m sure it wasn’t personal. | 总不是针对谁吧 |
[1:03:01] | Wasn’t it? | 不是吗 |
[1:03:03] | You’re too young to remember. | 你太年轻了不会记得 |
[1:03:07] | I don’t suppose you’ve got any further | 你在瓦克辛小姐那里 |
[1:03:08] | with Miss vexin, either, have you? | 没什么进展吧 |
[1:03:12] | I’ve spoken to her. | 我问过她了 |
[1:03:13] | She couldn’t shed any light. | 但她也不知道什么 |
[1:03:15] | How hard did you push her? | 你对她施了多大压力 |
[1:03:17] | As far as I thought necessary. | 到我认为有必要的程度 |
[1:03:19] | I see, ruled her out, have you? | 好啊 你排除了她 是吗 |
[1:03:21] | The fact she’s a looker play any part in that decision? | 她长得挺好看跟这个判断有关吗 |
[1:03:23] | No, I based it more on the fact that she isn’t German. | 不 我的判断依据更多是她不是德国人 |
[1:03:28] | Sir. | 长官 |
[1:03:30] | Everyone knew that Lenny Frost | 所有人都知道兰尼·弗罗斯特 |
[1:03:32] | had it in for Eustace Kendrick. | 仇视尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[1:03:33] | He’s the perfect scapegoat, | 他是完美的替罪羊 |
[1:03:35] | and now he’s in no position to defend himself. | 而现在他已经无法为自己辩解了 |
[1:03:37] | You think someone’s trying to close the case down? | 你觉得是有人想让案子就此结束吗 |
[1:03:39] | Don’t you? | 你不觉得吗 |
[1:03:40] | Who? The Brooms? | 谁 布鲁姆家吗 |
[1:03:41] | How would anyone have known | 他们怎么可能知道 |
[1:03:42] | Frost was at the factory last night? | 弗罗斯特昨晚会来工厂 |
[1:03:45] | Perhaps he was lured here. | 或许他是被引来的 |
[1:03:46] | – Who by? – I don’t know! | -谁引他来的 -我不知道 |
[1:03:50] | But there’s 100 pounds in cash in his wallet | 但他钱包里有一百镑的现金 |
[1:03:52] | together with a room number at the Rudolph Hotel. | 还有一个鲁道夫酒店的房间号 |
[1:03:56] | Well, why didn’t you say so before? | 你之前怎么不说 |
[1:04:00] | My country may be about to spend a great deal of money | 我们国家可能要跟英国帝国电气公司 |
[1:04:03] | with British Imperial Electric. | 做一笔大生意 |
[1:04:05] | Despite assurances to the contrary, | 尽管我们得到了保证 |
[1:04:09] | rumors of trouble with the new guidance system | 但新制导系统有问题的传言 |
[1:04:11] | have continued to reach our ears. | 还是不断刮进我们耳朵里 |
[1:04:14] | So Lenny Frost was spying for you? | 所以兰尼·弗罗斯特在为你做间谍 |
[1:04:18] | The Prophet, peace be upon him, teaches us, | 先知 愿他安息 教导我们 |
[1:04:22] | “Say what is true, | “要说实话 |
[1:04:23] | though it may be bitter and displeasing to people.” | 哪怕会令他人不悦” |
[1:04:25] | We have a not dissimilar saying. | 我们也有类似的俗语 |
[1:04:27] | “Tell the truth, and shame the Devil.” | “说出真话 让魔鬼羞愧” |
[1:04:30] | You should be aware | 你该知道 |
[1:04:30] | to take receipt of stolen property is an offense in law. | 接受被盗赃物是违法的 |
[1:04:33] | As you should also be aware, Constable Morse, | 你也该知道 摩斯警员 |
[1:04:37] | we are not the same little people | 我们可不是劳伦斯上校 |
[1:04:39] | Colonel Lawrence left behind. | 丢下的那个小国了 |
[1:04:42] | We learned much from our colonial masters. | 我们从我们的殖民主子那里学到了很多 |
[1:04:45] | Perfidious Albion. | 背信弃义的英国人 |
[1:04:48] | An unkind name to hang upon a country. | 这对一个国家真是莫大侮辱 |
[1:04:51] | But not perhaps wholly undeserved. | 但或许也不完全是没来由的 |
[1:05:11] | Morse. | 摩斯 |
[1:05:12] | It’s me. | 是我 |
[1:05:16] | Alice. | 爱丽丝 |
[1:05:19] | That girl you were asking about. | 你之前问起的女孩 |
[1:05:21] | Olive Rix? | 奥莉芙·里克斯 |
[1:05:23] | What about her? | 怎么了 |
[1:05:26] | Alice Vexin came upon it a few years ago, | 爱丽丝·瓦克辛几年前看到的 |
[1:05:29] | but it wasn’t until she heard the name Olive Rix | 但直到她听到了奥莉芙·里克斯的名字 |
[1:05:31] | that it made sense. | 才反应过来 |
[1:05:32] | What made sense? | 反应过来什么 |
[1:05:33] | It should be around here somewhere. | 应该就在这附近 |
[1:05:35] | A single beech in a stand of pine. | 一堆松树里唯一的山毛榉 |
[1:05:38] | A single beech, you say? | 一棵山毛榉吗 |
[1:05:59] | Harry had been knocking about with her for, what, a year | 哈利跟她暧昧了有一年了吧 |
[1:06:03] | on and off? | 分分合合的 |
[1:06:05] | Nothing serious. | 不是认真恋情 |
[1:06:05] | Just Harry being Harry. | 哈利就是那样 |
[1:06:07] | She was a gold digger. | 她就是个拜金女 |
[1:06:09] | She might’ve not had the best start in life, Mr. Broom, | 她或许出身贫寒 布鲁姆先生 |
[1:06:11] | but at the time she went missing, | 但她失踪的时候 |
[1:06:12] | she was working hard to make something of herself. | 正在努力成就自己的人生 |
[1:06:15] | How was it your brother came to know Olive Rix? | 你哥哥怎么认识奥莉芙·里克斯的 |
[1:06:18] | I met her one day. | 是我有天遇到了她 |
[1:06:20] | Hacking out in Great Wood. | 在大树林里骑马时 |
[1:06:22] | We were of an age. | 我们年纪相仿 |
[1:06:23] | One girl amongst two brothers? | 我又只有两个兄弟 |
[1:06:25] | You hit it off? | 你们聊得投机 |
[1:06:26] | She was fun. | 她挺风趣的 |
[1:06:28] | She had this… | 她有种… |
[1:06:31] | I don’t know… | 怎么说 |
[1:06:32] | Sara Crewe fantasy. | 童话般的幻想 |
[1:06:34] | Some wild idea her father was a rich foreign nobleman | 觉得她父亲其实是外国的富有贵族 |
[1:06:38] | and that one day he’d come and find her. | 有天会来找她 |
[1:06:40] | Well, if that was her dream, | 如果那是她的梦想 |
[1:06:42] | I wasn’t about to spoil it for her. | 我又凭什么去破坏 |
[1:06:44] | Why did you all deny knowing her? | 你们为何都否认认识她 |
[1:06:47] | Why not? | 为什么不呢 |
[1:06:48] | You couldn’t find her 12 years ago. | 你们12年前就没找到她 |
[1:06:50] | Why rake over it all now? | 何必现在又提起来 |
[1:06:52] | People would only gossip. | 人们只会说闲话 |
[1:06:53] | Why give them ammunition? | 何必给他们谈资 |
[1:06:55] | Never apologize, | 从不道歉 |
[1:06:56] | never explain. | 从不解释 |
[1:06:58] | Did you see her the day she disappeared? | 她失踪那天 你见过她吗 |
[1:07:00] | More or less everybody from the Agricultural College had gone home | 农业学院的人差不多都回家了 |
[1:07:04] | to celebrate the Coronation with their families. | 跟家人庆祝加冕仪式 |
[1:07:07] | But animals are republican by temperament. | 但动物可不管那些 |
[1:07:11] | They still need feeding, cleaning, milking. | 它们还需要进食 清洗 挤奶 |
[1:07:15] | Vivat Regina or no. | 不管女王怎样 |
[1:07:17] | Olive was on her own, | 只有奥莉芙自己在 |
[1:07:19] | so I offered to help her out down at the piggery. | 我就提出去猪舍帮她 |
[1:07:21] | We did a couple of hours, | 我们干了几小时 |
[1:07:23] | and I left her shortly after 1:00 to go back to the house. | 1点刚过 我就离开了她 回家了 |
[1:07:26] | Then you were the last person to see Olive Rix, | 那你就是最后见到奥莉芙·里克斯的人 |
[1:07:29] | Miss Broom. | 布鲁姆小姐 |
[1:07:33] | Apart from whoever… | 除了那个 |
[1:07:36] | did what they did. | 凶手 |
[1:07:39] | I asked her if she’d like to come to the party. | 我问她要不要来参加派对 |
[1:07:41] | She said she couldn’t. | 她说她不能来 |
[1:07:43] | I presumed she was meeting someone. | 我猜她是跟人有约 |
[1:07:45] | Eustace Kendrick. | 尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[1:07:46] | Did your brother know she was involved with another young man? | 你哥哥知道她跟另一名年轻人有染吗 |
[1:07:49] | If he had, I doubt it would have troubled him. | 就算他知道 应该也不会在意 |
[1:07:52] | Like father. | 如父如子 |
[1:07:53] | Shows how much you know. | 你知道什么 |
[1:07:56] | Christ God, | 老天爷 |
[1:07:58] | aren’t you tired of it? | 你们就没够吗 |
[1:07:59] | Dickie… | 迪克 |
[1:08:00] | She broke it off with Harry. | 是她跟哈利分手了 |
[1:08:02] | In Great Wood. | 就在大树林 |
[1:08:04] | That afternoon. | 就在那天下午 |
[1:08:07] | I came on him in the billiard room later. | 我之后在桌球房见到了他 |
[1:08:11] | He was drunk. | 他喝醉了 |
[1:08:13] | – Beside himself. – Richard! Please! | -痛苦难当 -理查德 拜托 |
[1:08:17] | I found her. | 是我发现了她 |
[1:08:20] | Found her body. | 发现了她的尸体 |
[1:08:22] | Olive Rix. | 奥莉芙·里克斯 |
[1:08:23] | The morning after the party. | 就在派对次日的早上 |
[1:08:25] | I’d taken the dogs up to Great Wood | 我去大树林里遛狗 |
[1:08:28] | to clear my head, | 想清理思绪 |
[1:08:32] | and there she was, in the treeline, | 结果就看到了她 就在林木线那里 |
[1:08:34] | just back from Half-Farthing Field. | 离哈法辛地界不远 |
[1:08:36] | Why didn’t you come forward? | 你怎么没站出来 |
[1:08:38] | And say what, that my brother was a murderer? | 说什么呢 我哥哥是个杀人犯吗 |
[1:08:41] | What would you have done? | 换你会怎么办 |
[1:08:42] | He confessed? | 他承认了吗 |
[1:08:44] | We never spoke of it. | 我们从未说起过 |
[1:08:46] | Not in so many words. | 至少没说出来 |
[1:08:48] | That may sound strange to you. | 你可能觉得奇怪 |
[1:08:50] | I knew, | 但我知道 |
[1:08:52] | he knew I knew, | 他也知道我知道 |
[1:08:53] | but not saying it out loud… | 但我们都不说 |
[1:08:55] | Gave you just enough doubt to live with. | 你就足够模棱两可 可以承受下去 |
[1:08:58] | What did you do? | 你做了什么 |
[1:09:00] | Fetched a spade. | 拿了把铲子 |
[1:09:02] | The police pretty quickly | 警察很快就 |
[1:09:04] | settled on Eustace Kendrick for it, and, uh… | 认准了尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[1:09:11] | That was that. | 于是就这样了 |
[1:09:12] | And you were content to let an innocent man stand suspect? | 你就安心让一个无辜者成为嫌疑人吗 |
[1:09:15] | It’s not as if it came to trial. | 反正也没上庭 |
[1:09:17] | He left the country. | 他出国了 |
[1:09:18] | Which suited you down to the ground. | 这正好称了你的意 |
[1:09:19] | And when Percy Malleson came to the firm, | 珀西·马勒森来到公司时 |
[1:09:22] | you had no idea he was Kendrick? | 你全然不知他就是肯德里克吗 |
[1:09:24] | How could I? | 我怎么可能知道 |
[1:09:25] | I’d never met him. | 我没见过他 |
[1:09:26] | There were plenty of photos in the paper at the time. | 当时报纸上有不少他的照片 |
[1:09:28] | Funnily enough, I didn’t keep a scrapbook. | 巧了 我没做剪报贴本 |
[1:09:31] | But no, I didn’t know it was him. | 不 我真不知道是他 |
[1:09:35] | Who else knew? | 还有谁知道 |
[1:09:36] | Just me. | 就我 |
[1:09:37] | We all knew. | 我们都知道 |
[1:09:38] | Speak for yourself. | 那是你 |
[1:09:39] | Or at least suspected. | 至少有所怀疑 |
[1:09:41] | Except Estella. | 除了艾丝戴拉 |
[1:09:42] | She was back at school | 事件闹起来前 |
[1:09:44] | before the hue and cry began. | 她就回到学校了 |
[1:09:46] | So was I. | 我也是 |
[1:09:48] | Most of the time. | 大部分时候吧 |
[1:09:50] | No one ever suspected it would be you, Johnny. | 没人会怀疑到你身上的 约翰尼 |
[1:09:53] | Something like that was well beyond your scope. | 你根本干不出那样的事 |
[1:09:58] | Thank you, Dickie. | 谢谢 迪克 |
[1:09:59] | That was very brave. | 那很勇敢 |
[1:10:01] | I knew my boy was still in there somewhere. | 我就知道我儿子的精神还在 |
[1:10:16] | Well, at least that’s an end to it. | 至少这事可以了结了 |
[1:10:19] | An end to it? | 了结 |
[1:10:21] | Frost killed Eustace Kendrick at the factory | 弗罗斯特在工厂杀了尤斯特斯·肯德里克 |
[1:10:23] | and Harry Broom killed Olive Rix. | 哈利·布鲁姆杀了奥莉芙·里克斯 |
[1:10:25] | And who killed Lenny Frost? | 那是谁杀了兰尼·弗罗斯特 |
[1:10:26] | Not who, what. | 不是谁 是什么 |
[1:10:27] | Circumstance, poor maintenance. | 环境 维护不力 |
[1:10:29] | It was an accident. | 是事故 |
[1:10:30] | I might live with one dead murderer, sir, but not a brace. | 一个凶手死了还能忍受 两个就不对劲了吧 |
[1:10:33] | Well, happily, what a detective constable | 幸好 一个警员 |
[1:10:35] | can or cannot live with | 能忍什么 不能忍什么 |
[1:10:36] | is a matter of rather small account | 就大局而言 |
[1:10:38] | in the general scheme of things. | 不怎么重要 |
[1:10:39] | And Division won’t need to trouble the palace, I suppose. | 看来警部不用去麻烦王宫了 |
[1:10:41] | Morse! | 摩斯 |
[1:10:42] | That is a very cynical attitude, | 这种愤世嫉俗的态度 |
[1:10:43] | and one I’d advise you to shake off sooner rather than later. | 我劝你还是尽早改掉吧 |
[1:10:47] | I can assure you such a consideration | 我可以保证 这种问题 |
[1:10:49] | would play no part in Division’s deliberations. | 绝不在警部的考虑范围内 |
[1:10:52] | – Thursday. – Sir. | -瑟斯戴 -是 长官 |
[1:10:56] | Better take Mr. Broom’s statement. | 去给布鲁姆先生录口供吧 |
[1:11:09] | You look old, Henry. | 你看上去好老 亨利 |
[1:11:11] | Old and tired. | 又老又疲倦 |
[1:11:13] | Have we hurt one another long enough? | 我们伤害彼此够久了吧 |
[1:11:17] | Resign the Chairmanship. | 辞去主席职位 |
[1:11:19] | How can I, now? | 我现在怎么能 |
[1:11:23] | The company… | 公司 |
[1:11:24] | Has had the best of you. | 已消耗了你的黄金年华 |
[1:11:27] | Of both of us. | 我也一样 |
[1:11:31] | You want my agreement to this merger with the French. | 你要我答应跟法国人合并 |
[1:11:34] | That’s my condition. | 这就是我的条件 |
[1:11:41] | Tomorrow, then. | 那就明天吧 |
[1:11:45] | One last board meeting. | 最后一次董事会会议 |
[1:12:08] | All right? | 还好吗 |
[1:12:13] | You don’t believe Lenny Frost’s death | 你跟我一样不相信 |
[1:12:15] | was an accident any more than I do. | 兰尼·弗罗斯特死于意外吧 |
[1:12:16] | Have you got a better theory? | 你有更好的理论吗 |
[1:12:20] | Well, then, until you do, | 那在此之前 |
[1:12:22] | you’re best off keeping your powder dry. | 你最好耐心等待时机 |
[1:12:26] | The truth was buried with Olive Rix 12 years ago. | 真相12年前随奥莉芙·里克斯埋入土中 |
[1:12:30] | We’re about to stand by and watch it | 我们现在又要眼看真相 |
[1:12:31] | buried again with Lenny Frost, and in the name of what? | 随兰尼·弗罗斯特入土 为了什么呢 |
[1:12:36] | Expediency? | 权宜之计吗 |
[1:12:39] | Sparing royal blushes? | 避免王室蒙羞吗 |
[1:12:43] | I thought it was the Queen’s Peace we were sworn to uphold. | 我们不是发誓要为女王维护国家安定吗 |
[1:13:34] | Someone was coming up as I arrived. | 我到时正好有人进门 |
[1:13:37] | Can I come in? | 我能进来吗 |
[1:13:39] | Of course. | 当然 |
[1:13:44] | I’m afraid you won’t find me terribly good company. | 我恐怕不是很好的陪伴 |
[1:13:48] | I’d have tidied if I’d known. | 我要知道会来人就收拾一下了 |
[1:13:50] | Are you all right? | 你没事吧 |
[1:13:52] | I was worried. You sounded awful on the telephone, | 我担心了 打电话时你听上去很沮丧 |
[1:13:54] | as if the world were about to end. | 就好像世界要终结了 |
[1:13:56] | Just a small world, and not a very good one. | 就是个小世界 还不是很美好 |
[1:13:58] | Do you want a drink? | 想喝一杯吗 |
[1:13:59] | I’ve only got scotch. | 我只有威士忌 |
[1:14:00] | Yeah, all right. | 嗯 好 |
[1:14:12] | You’ve heard about the Brooms. | 你听说布鲁姆家的事了 |
[1:14:15] | I didn’t come to talk about the Brooms. | 我不是来谈他们的 |
[1:15:40] | From comparison with dental records, | 通过牙科病历的对比 |
[1:15:43] | I can confirm that these are indeed the remains of Olive Rix. | 我可以确认这的确是奥莉芙·里克斯的遗骸 |
[1:15:47] | Any thoughts as to how she died? | 知道她是怎么死的吗 |
[1:15:48] | Fractured hyoid would suggest she was strangled. | 从折断的舌骨看来 她是被勒死的 |
[1:15:51] | Not much to speak of by way of grave goods. | 陪葬物不多 |
[1:15:54] | Clothes have rotted away, mostly. | 衣服基本烂掉了 |
[1:15:57] | But we’ve a few buttons, | 但我们找到几枚扣子 |
[1:15:59] | pair of handles from her bag… | 一对手包提手 |
[1:16:00] | What’s this? | 这是什么 |
[1:16:02] | Oh, general detritus. | 就是些碎片 |
[1:16:04] | Victorian jam pot, probably. | 可能是维多利亚果酱罐 |
[1:16:07] | Winnowing out the wheat from chaff | 在地下埋了这么久 |
[1:16:09] | is always a challenge after so long in the earth. | 挑出真正有用的东西总是有难度的 |
[1:16:15] | Sir. | 长官 |
[1:16:16] | Division want us to sign off. | 警部希望我们就此结案 |
[1:16:20] | On both of them? | 两个案子都是吗 |
[1:16:22] | Both of them. | 是的 |
[1:16:23] | Lenny Frost for Eustace Kendrick. | 兰尼·弗罗斯特是尤斯特斯·肯德里克案的凶手 |
[1:16:26] | Eustace Kendrick for Olive Rix. | 尤斯特斯·肯德里克是奥莉芙·里克斯案的凶手 |
[1:16:29] | Kendrick? | 肯德里克 |
[1:16:30] | It was Harry Broom killed Olive Rix, sir. | 是哈利·布鲁姆杀了奥莉芙·里克斯 长官 |
[1:16:32] | His brother said as much. | 他弟弟都说了 |
[1:16:34] | I’m advised that to pursue such a line | 我被告诫 追查这条线索 |
[1:16:38] | would not be in the public interest. | 会不利于公众利益 |
[1:16:41] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[1:16:43] | You’re happy with that? | 你安心这么做吗 |
[1:16:44] | Happiness doesn’t enter into it. | 我安不安心并不重要 |
[1:16:47] | It’s what Division wants. | 这是警部想要的结果 |
[1:16:56] | Nothing can be allowed to interfere | 任何事都不可以干扰 |
[1:16:58] | with this missile sale. | 这笔导弹买卖 |
[1:17:01] | So the Brooms walk away from it? | 所以布鲁姆一家就这么脱罪了 |
[1:17:03] | All of it? Business as usual? | 全无罪责 还能生意照常 |
[1:17:05] | It’s never about what you know, Morse. | 光知道真相没用 摩斯 |
[1:17:06] | It’s about what you can prove. | 你得能证明 |
[1:17:08] | And what about justice? | 那司法公正呢 |
[1:17:10] | Or perhaps that doesn’t matter? | 或许那也不重要吧 |
[1:17:11] | Olive Rix was only a Barnardos girl, after all. | 毕竟奥莉芙·里克斯不过是个伯纳多斯姑娘 |
[1:17:14] | We found her! | 我们已经找到她了 |
[1:17:15] | We’d never have managed that much | 要不是你一直深入调查 |
[1:17:16] | if you hadn’t kept digging away. | 我们不可能取得这样的进展 |
[1:17:18] | That’s not enough. | 这还不够 |
[1:17:19] | Sometimes it has to be. | 有时不得不这样 |
[1:17:21] | Not every question gets an answer. | 不是每个问题都有答案的 |
[1:17:24] | Learning to live with | 学着去接受它 |
[1:17:26] | that’s the hardest lesson there is. | 这是最艰难的一课 |
[1:17:34] | What you doing with your Saturday afternoon, then? | 你周六下午做什么 |
[1:17:36] | Bit of singing, is it? | 唱歌吗 |
[1:17:37] | No. I’ve a couple of tickets for the Roxy. | 不 我买了两张罗西克剧院的票 |
[1:17:39] | Tickets? Plural? | 票 两张 |
[1:17:41] | What’s this? Your little friend? | 怎么 和你的小女朋友 |
[1:17:44] | That didn’t take long, did it? | 还挺快啊 |
[1:17:45] | You’ll be picking out wallpaper next. | 你接下来就要去选墙纸了 |
[1:17:50] | I hear you say pictures? | 听到你说电影 |
[1:17:52] | All right for some. | 有的人喜欢 |
[1:17:53] | What you gonna see? | 你准备看什么 |
[1:17:55] | There’s a new Bergman. | 英格丽·褒曼的新片 |
[1:17:56] | Oh, yeah? | 是吗 |
[1:17:58] | I thought she was cracking in Casablanca. | 我觉得她在《卡萨布兰卡》里太棒了 |
[1:18:22] | I’ve got the tickets. | 我买了票 |
[1:18:24] | We’ve got time for a quick drink first. | 我们还有时间 可以先去喝一杯 |
[1:18:29] | You’ve changed your mind. | 你改主意了 |
[1:18:32] | I have. | 是的 |
[1:18:36] | You don’t mean the cinema, do you? | 你不是指看电影的事 对吧 |
[1:18:46] | It’s all right. | 没关系 |
[1:18:47] | Is it? | 是吗 |
[1:18:51] | No. | 有关系 |
[1:18:56] | Yes. | 没关系 |
[1:18:58] | I suppose. | 大概吧 |
[1:18:59] | You’re not ready. | 你还没准备好 |
[1:19:02] | Not yet. | 现在还不行 |
[1:19:05] | I’d always be second best. | 我会永远屈居第二 |
[1:19:08] | A consolation prize. | 一个安慰奖 |
[1:19:12] | I’d have been happy with that. | 这我原本也可以接受 |
[1:19:15] | Once. | 曾经可以 |
[1:19:18] | The moment passed. | 但那一刻过去了 |
[1:19:25] | They’ve called me into work. | 我被叫回去上班了 |
[1:19:32] | Right. | 好吧 |
[1:19:34] | Well… | 那… |
[1:19:55] | Your father has asked me to choose his successor. | 你们父亲让我选出他的继承人 |
[1:19:59] | I’ve written that person’s name down | 我已经写下了那个人的名字 |
[1:20:01] | and placed it in this envelope. | 放在了这个信封里 |
[1:20:03] | If we are to be whole again… | 如果我们想重新成为 |
[1:20:08] | a family… | 一家人 |
[1:20:10] | I expect my proposal to be seconded blind, | 希望我的推选能得到全力支持 |
[1:20:13] | and passed nem con. | 一致通过 |
[1:20:15] | Agreed? | 同意吗 |
[1:20:19] | Very well. | 好吧 |
[1:20:21] | Proposed. | 我推选 |
[1:20:23] | Seconded. | 我附议 |
[1:20:24] | A show of hands. | 举手表决 |
[1:20:29] | Thank you. Alice. | 谢谢 爱丽丝 |
[1:20:46] | Congratulations, Estella. | 恭喜你 艾丝戴拉 |
[1:20:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:20:54] | But I’d prefer to think of us as a triumvirate. | 但我更希望我们三人共同管理 |
[1:20:57] | If we really are to make a go of it, | 如果我们真要把生意做好 |
[1:20:58] | I’m going to need all of Dickie and Johnny’s expertise. | 我会需要迪克和约翰尼的专业意见 |
[1:21:00] | I didn’t know I had any. | 我不知道我还有任何专业意见 |
[1:21:03] | To which end, the first we need | 为此 我们首先就得 |
[1:21:04] | to get a grip on is this strike. | 解决这次罢工 |
[1:21:07] | Alice, would you have Mr. Tracepurcel | 爱丽丝 你可以叫崔斯帕索先生 |
[1:21:09] | and his Works Committee join us on the factory floor? | 和他的劳工委员会去厂房跟我们碰头吗 |
[1:21:14] | Oxford, England. | 英格兰牛津 |
[1:21:16] | Just minutes from the libraries | 在距市中心的 |
[1:21:17] | and cloistered colleges of the City centre, | 图书馆和避世的各个学院不远的地方 |
[1:21:19] | a visitor will soon find themselves | 一位访客很快将 |
[1:21:21] | amidst the white heat of technology | 感受到白热化的科技氛围 |
[1:21:23] | at the British Imperial Electric Company in Cowley, | 就在考利的英国帝国电气公司 |
[1:21:28] | proud manufacturers of Britain’s Standfast Mark Il | 他们骄傲地制造了英国的坚决2型 |
[1:21:31] | surface-to-air missile. | 地对空导弹 |
[1:21:33] | Everyone is doing their best | 所有人都在竭尽全力 |
[1:21:34] | to make sure the whole place is spic and span | 确保公司上下都干净整齐 |
[1:21:37] | and ready to receive a royal inspection. | 准备接受王室检阅 |
[1:21:40] | “Hold on, Charlie! | “等等 查理 |
[1:21:41] | Looks like you’ve missed a spot!” | 你似乎擦漏了一个地方” |
[1:21:43] | That’s the ticket! | 这就对了 |
[1:21:45] | Here comes the very Important Person | 大家欢呼迎接的 |
[1:21:46] | everyone has turned out to cheer. | 重要人物终于到场了 |
[1:21:48] | Yes, it’s Her Royal Highness, the Princess Margaret | 是的 正是玛格丽特公主殿下 |
[1:21:51] | as she arrives on a mission | 她此次前来 |
[1:21:53] | to help promote British overseas exports. | 是为了促进英国的海外出口 |
[1:21:55] | Having been greeted by distinguished foreign guests | 迎接她的是尊贵的外国来宾 |
[1:21:58] | and senior company executives, | 和公司高管 |
[1:22:00] | Her Royal Highness also finds time | 公主殿下还抽了时间 |
[1:22:02] | to exchange a word or two with the workers… | 跟工人们寒暄几句 |
[1:22:41] | This what you’re looking for? | 找这个吗 |
[1:22:44] | Worked out what it is? | 猜出是什么了 |
[1:22:46] | More than that. | 不止如此 |
[1:22:47] | I think I can take a decent guess where it came from. | 我还能猜到它从哪来 |
[1:23:39] | Mr. Tracepurcel, | 崔斯帕索先生 |
[1:23:41] | I wonder if I might have a word. | 可以跟你说句话吗 |
[1:23:43] | I’m just waiting on the Works Standing Committee. | 我在等劳工常务委员会 |
[1:23:46] | I’ve a meeting with the management. | 我要跟管理层开个会 |
[1:23:47] | This won’t take long. | 一会儿就完事 |
[1:23:50] | I was hoping there’d be something | 我希望你能 |
[1:23:51] | you might be able to help us with. | 帮我们个忙 |
[1:23:53] | A matter of etiquette as much as anything. | 是关于礼节的事 |
[1:23:55] | – Etiquette? – Yes. | -礼节 -是的 |
[1:23:57] | You see, when you were presented to Her Royal Highness, | 你被介绍给公主殿下时 |
[1:24:00] | you weren’t wearing your jacket. | 你没穿西服外套 |
[1:24:03] | My jacket? | 西服外套 |
[1:24:05] | I think I was. | 我穿了吧 |
[1:24:06] | No, you weren’t. | 不 你没穿 |
[1:24:08] | You wore it earlier in the day, | 你那天早些时候穿了 |
[1:24:09] | but by the time of the royal visit, | 但王室到访时 |
[1:24:11] | you’d got rid of it. | 你就脱掉了 |
[1:24:12] | You were caught on film you see, | 其中一辆新闻车 |
[1:24:13] | by one of the news vans, | 拍下了你 |
[1:24:15] | and as luck would have it, | 而且恰巧 |
[1:24:16] | by a photographer from the Mail. | 《邮报》一名摄影师也拍到了 |
[1:24:19] | You were in shirtsleeves. | 你只穿了衬衣 |
[1:24:22] | I’d like to see the jacket you were wearing that morning. | 我想看看你那天早上穿的西服外套 |
[1:24:28] | This is it. | 就是这件 |
[1:24:29] | No, the one you had on was double breasted. | 不 你那天穿的是双排扣的 |
[1:24:33] | If you’ll look. | 看 |
[1:24:38] | Yes… | 对 |
[1:24:39] | No, I, uh… I spilt some oil on that one. | 不 那件我滴上了油 |
[1:24:42] | On the shop floor. | 在厂里弄的 |
[1:24:45] | Eustace Kendrick came to this factory | 尤斯特斯·肯德里克来到这间工厂 |
[1:24:47] | looking for the murderer of Olive Rix. | 是为了找杀奥莉芙·里克斯的凶手 |
[1:24:49] | He thought it was one of the Brooms. | 他以为是布鲁姆家的一个人 |
[1:24:50] | But you knew better, didn’t you? | 但你知道不是 是吧 |
[1:24:52] | I had nothing to do with Kendrick. | 我跟肯德里克毫无瓜葛 |
[1:24:54] | You knew there was something | 你从一开始 |
[1:24:55] | not right about Kendrick straight from the off. | 就知道肯德里克不对劲 |
[1:24:57] | Something that didn’t quite ring true. | 有什么东西对不上 |
[1:24:59] | Eventually you tumbled he was a time and motion man. | 最终 你发现他是工效探子 |
[1:25:02] | That when he told you why he really came to the factory? | 他是这时把来工厂的真正原因告诉了你吗 |
[1:25:04] | I suppose he thought you might have some sympathy for him. | 他大概是以为你会同情他 |
[1:25:06] | A chance to finally stick it to the management for once. | 这次总算有机会让管理层付出代价 |
[1:25:10] | But he confided in the one person | 但他倾诉的对象偏偏是那个 |
[1:25:12] | who had everything to lose | 会因为他继续深挖 |
[1:25:13] | if he continued with his digging | 发现布鲁姆一家其实无罪 |
[1:25:14] | and found out the Brooms were innocent. | 而面临毁灭性后果的人 |
[1:25:17] | Look, I don’t know this Rix girl. | 我不认识这个姑娘里克斯 |
[1:25:18] | I didn’t even work here in ’53. | 我1953年都不是这里的工人 |
[1:25:20] | No. | 是啊 |
[1:25:21] | You worked for the GPO. | 你在邮政总局干 |
[1:25:23] | As a repairman. | 做维修工 |
[1:25:25] | We checked. | 我们查了 |
[1:25:27] | According to their service records, | 根据维修记录 |
[1:25:28] | you were on call on Coronation Day, | 加冕日那天你出勤了 |
[1:25:30] | replacing ceramic insulators on telegraph poles out by Chinon Court. | 去替换奇侬苑附近电报杆上的陶瓷绝缘子 |
[1:25:38] | Unfortunately, Olive Rix also had reason | 很不幸 奥莉芙·里克斯那天下午 |
[1:25:40] | to be in Great Wood that afternoon. | 也有原因去大树林 |
[1:25:43] | She and Harry Broom had just broken up. | 她和哈利·布鲁姆刚刚分手 |
[1:25:56] | Well, even if I was there, it doesn’t prove anything. | 即便我在那儿 也证明不了什么 |
[1:25:59] | Not alone, perhaps. | 单独讲是的 |
[1:26:00] | But you’ve overplayed your hand. | 但你欲盖弥彰了 |
[1:26:04] | When Brenda Werth was nearly killed, | 布伦达·沃斯差点被砸死后 |
[1:26:07] | you thought we’d take it at face value | 你以为我们会相信 |
[1:26:08] | if Lenny Frost fell victim to a similar industrial accident. | 兰尼·弗罗斯特也死于类似的工业事故 |
[1:26:12] | You needed someone to take the drop for Eustace Kendrick’s murder. | 你需要有人为尤斯特斯·肯德里克之死背锅 |
[1:26:16] | Everyone knew there was bad blood between them, | 大家都知道他们之间的私仇 |
[1:26:18] | but only you knew how Lenny Frost | 但只有你知道兰尼·弗罗斯特 |
[1:26:20] | came in and out of the factory. | 是如何进出工厂的 |
[1:26:21] | It was an accident. | 那是个事故 |
[1:26:23] | It’s what they call bad maintenance. | 那叫维护不力 |
[1:26:25] | No, it was murder. | 不 那是谋杀 |
[1:26:31] | But you made a mistake. | 但你犯了个错误 |
[1:26:33] | I don’t make mistakes. | 我才不会犯错 |
[1:26:35] | You should’ve killed him on the way in | 你该在他进来时杀他的 |
[1:26:37] | before he had a chance to steal the research papers, | 在他偷到研究图纸之前 |
[1:26:39] | not the way out. | 而不是在他出去时 |
[1:26:42] | The electricity didn’t turn itself on | 电力不会在他第一次 |
[1:26:43] | in between his first and second go through that puddle. | 和第二次过水洼期间自行开启 |
[1:26:48] | So now I’ve killed Lenny Frost? | 还把兰尼·弗罗斯特的死怪我头上了 |
[1:26:51] | No, I think you’re whistling in the dark, gents. | 不 我觉得你们就是在瞎猜 先生们 |
[1:26:55] | Let’s just say a word of that’s true, | 即便那有一丝是真的 |
[1:26:56] | which it isn’t. | 而且不是 |
[1:26:58] | Why would I have killed Kendrick on a day like that, | 我为什么要在那样的一天杀肯德里克 |
[1:27:01] | with all the police swarming around? | 周围有那么多警察呢 |
[1:27:02] | You had no choice. | 你别无选择 |
[1:27:04] | Kendrick’s contract with the factory was due to expire. | 肯德里克跟工厂的合同即将到期 |
[1:27:07] | He was desperate to get to the truth, | 他迫切想查明真相 |
[1:27:09] | and time was running out. | 而且他时间不多了 |
[1:27:10] | You had to act, and fast. | 你只能赶紧行动 |
[1:27:12] | The royal visit was the only time | 因为王室来访 |
[1:27:13] | the Brooms have been under the same roof in ten years. | 布鲁姆一家十年来第一次齐聚一堂 |
[1:27:16] | His only chance to confront them all together. | 那是他唯一能同时质问他们所有人的机会 |
[1:27:19] | That’s why he brought a gun to work. | 所以他才带了枪来上班 |
[1:27:20] | I think he told you he intended to force a confession. | 我觉得他告诉你 他打算逼他们招供 |
[1:27:22] | You can think what you like. | 随你怎么想吧 |
[1:27:25] | You haven’t got any proof. | 你没有证据 |
[1:27:26] | No, you’re right, we haven’t got any proof. | 对 我们是没有证据 |
[1:27:27] | But look, we can clear this up right away with your jacket… | 但我们可以马上澄清的 只需要你的西服外套 |
[1:27:30] | I told you… | 我说了 |
[1:27:31] | There’s oil on it, yes. | 弄上油了 是 |
[1:27:32] | Well, where is it? | 那衣服在哪 |
[1:27:33] | Because I’d like to see it. | 我想看看 |
[1:27:36] | I burnt it. | 我烧了 |
[1:27:41] | You burnt it? | 你烧了 |
[1:27:45] | I burnt it. | 我烧了 |
[1:27:47] | In my garden. | 在我花园里 |
[1:27:48] | In the incinerator. | 用焚化炉烧的 |
[1:27:49] | You sure about that? | 你确定吗 |
[1:27:50] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[1:27:54] | Your jacket is still here. | 你的西服外套还在这里 |
[1:27:56] | On the premises. | 就在工厂里 |
[1:27:57] | Hidden away somewhere. | 藏在一个地方了 |
[1:27:59] | Police on the front gates? | 前门的警察 |
[1:28:01] | You may have walked past them with oil on your jacket, | 你外套上如果沾了油 还能顺利通过他们 |
[1:28:03] | – but not paint. – Paint? | -但沾了油漆就不行了 -油漆 |
[1:28:04] | Yeah. White paint, to be specific. | 对 具体说是白油漆 |
[1:28:09] | The doorframe of the store cupboard | 储物间的门框 |
[1:28:10] | had been painted that morning: | 那天早上刚漆过 |
[1:28:11] | the store cupboard where you dumped | 就是你杀了 |
[1:28:13] | Eustace Kendrick’s body after you’d killed him. | 尤斯特斯·肯德里克后 弃尸的地方 |
[1:28:24] | Yeah. Your jacket was covered in paint. | 你的外套因此沾上了油漆 |
[1:28:26] | Paint? No… | 油漆 不 |
[1:28:27] | Yeah. That’s why you were the only man | 对 所以你才会成为唯一 |
[1:28:28] | presented to Her Royal Highness in his shirtsleeves. | 穿着衬衫面见公主殿下的人 |
[1:28:31] | You knew there’d be no one on the factory floor | 你清楚来访期间 厂房里 |
[1:28:33] | until after the visit was over, | 肯定没人 |
[1:28:35] | so you left the jacket in the store cupboard | 所以你把外套和肯德里克的尸体 |
[1:28:37] | with Kendrick’s body until the coast was clear, | 留在了储物间里 直到来访结束 |
[1:28:39] | only Alice Vexin heard you when you came to retrieve it | 但你回来拿时 被爱丽丝·瓦克辛听到了 |
[1:28:42] | and raised the alarm. | 于是她叫了人 |
[1:28:44] | Police had been crawling all over the place ever since. | 此后这里就到处是警察 |
[1:28:47] | You haven’t had a chance to get rid of it. | 你根本没来得及处理掉它 |
[1:28:49] | The best you could do was to hide it. | 你最多只能把它藏起来 |
[1:28:53] | I have to admit, | 我得承认 |
[1:28:54] | it took me awhile. | 我是花了点时间 |
[1:28:58] | Strange? | 斯特兰奇 |
[1:29:02] | Was it where I thought it was? | 是在我想的那个地方吗 |
[1:29:13] | Well, you two are clever buggers, aren’t you? | 你俩还真是聪明 是吧 |
[1:29:16] | I thought the Inspection Pit | 我还觉得检修井 |
[1:29:17] | would be the perfect place to hide it. | 是绝佳的藏东西地方 |
[1:29:23] | And Olive Rix? | 奥莉芙·里克斯呢 |
[1:29:26] | What was that? | 那算什么 |
[1:29:28] | Just an itch you had to scratch? | 就是心痒难抑吗 |
[1:29:31] | Oh, I didn’t do anything she didn’t want. | 我没做什么她不想要的 |
[1:29:35] | Strange. | 斯特兰奇 |
[1:29:39] | You’ve got to admit, | 你得承认 |
[1:29:41] | I gave you a good runaround though, eh? | 我把你们唬得团团转 是吧 |
[1:29:43] | 12 years? | 12年呢 |
[1:29:46] | So how did you work out where I’d put the jacket? | 你怎么猜到我把衣服藏哪了的 |
[1:29:49] | I didn’t. | 我没猜到 |
[1:30:13] | I thought it was Richard. | 我还以为是理查德 |
[1:30:15] | All these years. | 这么多年来 |
[1:30:18] | The poison’s out now. | 毒瘤走了 |
[1:30:26] | Sir. | 长官 |
[1:30:28] | Well, | 好啊 |
[1:30:31] | it should make for a lively meeting | 这下去见警察局长时 |
[1:30:33] | with the chief constable. | 气氛就轻松了 |
[1:30:36] | You might want to mention Constable Morse’s part, sir. | 您或许该提提摩斯警员的贡献 长官 |
[1:30:40] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[1:30:42] | Well, if | 嗯 |
[1:30:45] | the opportunity arises, hmm? | 如果有机会的话吧 |
[1:30:48] | Carry on. | 去吧 |
[1:30:59] | Want me to run you back? | 要我送你回去吗 |
[1:31:01] | Go on, then. | 那走吧 |
[1:31:12] | You doing anything tonight? | 你今晚有事吗 |
[1:31:15] | No. | 没有 |
[1:31:16] | I was after going a cod and two penneth. | 我打算去吃点喝点好的 |
[1:31:18] | Glad of the company if you’d like to join me. | 如果你乐意来 我会很高兴有人陪 |
[1:31:21] | What? No sandwiches? | 怎么 不吃三明治吗 |
[1:31:23] | On a Saturday? | 大周六的 |
[1:31:24] | Talk sense. | 别说傻话 |