时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | I have something called post-concussion syndrome. | 我得了脑震荡后综合征 |
[00:04] | Things could get worse before they get better. | 在情况好转之前可能会变得更糟 |
[00:07] | Hey, uh, my name’s Michael. | 你好 我叫迈克 |
[00:08] | A man approached me at a meeting yesterday. | 昨天在互助会上一个男人找上了我 |
[00:10] | Apparently, I helped him once | 显然 我曾描述过 |
[00:11] | when I described how integral | 我的工作是如何 |
[00:13] | my work was to maintaining my sobriety. | 让我保持清醒的 那对他有所帮助 |
[00:16] | When all’s said and done, it’s entirely possible | 结果事到如今 我可能完全 |
[00:18] | I’m going to be unfit to continue that work. | 不适合继续这份工作了 |
[00:20] | Hello, Michael, it’s Sherlock Holmes. | 你好 迈克吗 我是夏洛克·福尔摩斯 |
[00:22] | Well, I was thinking of going to a meeting. | 我在想去参加互助会 |
[00:24] | I wondered if you’d like to join. | 不知道你是否愿意一起 |
[00:26] | Yeah, how’s St. Olaf’s at 4:00? | 四点在圣奥拉夫见面如何 |
[00:28] | Excellent. | 很好 |
[00:54] | Loose file! Open order! | 一字散开 |
[00:59] | Load! | 上膛 |
[01:00] | Aim! | 瞄准 |
[01:01] | Fire! | 开火 |
[01:03] | Huzzah! | 好 |
[01:21] | Come on, man. | 不是吧 哥们 |
[01:25] | Really? | 认真的吗 |
[01:27] | This is supposed to be an immersive experience. | 这本该是场情景体验 |
[01:31] | No tech post-1776. | 没有1776年后的科技 |
[01:34] | Dude, you think I didn’t see the Fitbit under your sleeve? | 兄弟 你当我没看见你袖子下的智能手环吗 |
[01:37] | My wife’s been keeping track of my cardio. | 我老婆一直在追踪我的心脏情况 |
[01:41] | At least it doesn’t ring. | 至少它不会响 |
[01:44] | Damn, George. | 厉害呀 乔治 |
[01:47] | How did you do that to your chest? | 你胸前是怎么做到的 |
[01:49] | That looks amazing. | 看着太真实了 |
[01:52] | Seriously, man. | 我说真的 兄弟 |
[01:55] | Are those squibs? | 是血包吗 |
[02:00] | God… George is dead. | 天 乔治死了 |
[02:03] | Yeah, we all are. Lie still. | 是的 我们都死了 躺着别动 |
[02:06] | No, guys, George is dead for real. | 不是 各位 乔治真的死了 |
[02:27] | Well, that definitely wasn’t made with a musket. | 这明显不是火枪导致的 |
[02:29] | Someone brought a modern gun to a historical battle. | 有人带了一把现代枪进入这场历史战争 |
[02:31] | His name’s George Nix, 55 years old, | 他叫乔治·尼克斯 55岁 |
[02:34] | address Upper East Side. | 住在上东区 |
[02:35] | Owns a chain of gyms. | 拥有一家健身房连锁 |
[02:36] | And it would appear he was a lieutenant in the British infantry. | 看起来他生前是英国步兵的中尉 |
[02:39] | Yeah, he was part of a Revolutionary War | 他参与了今早在这里 |
[02:41] | reenactment here this morning. | 重演的独立战争 |
[02:42] | Something called “The Battle of Harlem Heights.” | 叫什么”哈林高地战役” |
[02:45] | The scene of Washington’s first real success. | 华盛顿第一次真正意义上的胜利 |
[02:48] | After months of defeats and retreats, | 在连续数月被击退和撤退后 |
[02:50] | he used a squad of rangers to draw the British | 他用一小队突击队吸引英军 |
[02:52] | out of position and then overrun them. | 离开该在的位置 然后碾压了他们 |
[02:54] | The, uh, colonists then learned to press their native advantage, | 殖民地居民之后学会了利用他们的天然优势 |
[02:56] | employ more guerrilla tactics. | 采用了更多的游击战术 |
[02:58] | Some people see it as the beginning of the end. | 有人将这看作是一切终结的开始 |
[03:00] | Well, we just see it as the beginning | 我们只是把它看作是 |
[03:01] | this side of the pond. | 大西洋这侧的崛起 |
[03:03] | Nix was acting out the British defeat. | 尼克斯当时在扮演英军被击退的场景 |
[03:05] | He and half a dozen others fell down, playing dead, | 他和其他很多人都倒下了 装死 |
[03:08] | and then somebody realized that, for him, | 然后有人发现 对他来说 |
[03:10] | it was no act. | 这不是演戏 |
[03:11] | A number of his compatriots must have seen the shooting. | 肯定有很多他的同胞目击了枪击 |
[03:13] | Yeah, well, the problem is | 是 但问题是 |
[03:14] | that they were all expecting to be in a gun battle. | 他们都知道是在一场枪战中 |
[03:17] | Nobody realized they were dealing with live fire. | 没人意识到他们面对的是真的枪弹 |
[03:19] | It would be hard to devise a less agreeable crime scene. | 如此应景的犯罪现场 想不利用都难 |
[03:22] | Hundreds of men, all dressed the same, | 上百个男人 衣着统一 |
[03:23] | all carrying weapons, and all with gunpowder residue | 都带着武器 而且手上都有 |
[03:26] | on their hands. | 火药残留物 |
[03:27] | Could be worse– could have gone down | 本可能更糟 他本可能 |
[03:29] | while they were crossing the Delaware. | 在他们横穿特拉华时被干掉 |
[03:32] | Come on, let’s go talk to the witnesses. | 走了 咱们去和目击证人们聊聊 |
[03:37] | Because he was on my left. | 因为他当时在我左边 |
[03:39] | That’s when everybody started shooting. | 那个时候大家都开始开枪了 |
[03:40] | By the time I looked to the tree line, he was already down. | 但我去看树边时 他已经倒下了 |
[03:42] | Gentlemen, we can only really understand | 各位先生 我们只能同时听明白 |
[03:43] | six of you at a time. | 你们中的六位 |
[03:45] | Would you repeat what you said about | 你能重复下你刚才说 |
[03:46] | someone hiding in the foliage? | 有人藏在树丛里吗 |
[03:47] | Yeah, I was just saying there was | 好的 我刚才说 |
[03:49] | this clump of maple trees behind the Yanks | 最后一次小冲突时 |
[03:51] | during that last skirmish. | 美国佬后面有些枫树 |
[03:52] | My guess is, whoever shot George was hiding there. | 我的猜测是 打了乔治的人就藏在那里 |
[03:55] | I mean, the guy probably slipped out | 那个人可能在开枪后 |
[03:56] | after he pulled the trigger. | 就偷偷溜走了 |
[03:57] | You guess or you saw? | 你猜的还是你看见了 |
[03:59] | I guess. I mean, it just makes sense. | 我猜的 这样才说得通 |
[04:02] | I saw, I think, uh, there was a guy– | 我看见了 我觉得看见了 那里有个男人 |
[04:05] | brown hair, medium build… | 棕头发 中等身材 |
[04:06] | – You mean the tall guy? – Yeah, uh, maybe. | -你是说那个高个男人 -对 可能 |
[04:08] | He was in an artillery uniform, right? | 他穿着炮兵制服 是吧 |
[04:10] | I think the guy I saw had a cavalry saber. | 我觉得我看到的人有把骑兵军刀 |
[04:13] | I– you know, I’m not– I’m not sure. | 我…我不是很确定 |
[04:14] | There was smoke everywhere. | 当时到处都是烟雾 |
[04:16] | Didn’t you say you saw a car? | 你不是说你看到了一辆车吗 |
[04:18] | Yeah, a-a white van | 对 一辆白色小货车 |
[04:19] | on the far side of the park. | 在公园那侧远远待着 |
[04:21] | Right. So I-I think maybe my guy jumped in and drove off. | 对 所以我觉得可能我说的那人上车离开了 |
[04:25] | So, a man of average build, or possibly tall, | 一个中等身材的男人 可能较高 |
[04:27] | who was infantry or cavalry, | 他扮演的是步兵或骑兵 |
[04:29] | fled on foot or in a white van. | 徒步或乘白色小货车逃跑的 |
[04:34] | Any of you hear anything out of the ordinary? | 你们有人听到了什么不平常的声音吗 |
[04:37] | Most of us put these in our ears. | 我们大部分人耳朵里塞了这个 |
[04:39] | Gets pretty loud during our battles. | 我们打仗的时候还挺吵的 |
[04:41] | Actually, you know, I could have sworn | 实际上 我确定 |
[04:43] | I heard a .308 in that volley | 在乔治中弹之前 |
[04:45] | right before George got hit. | 我从交战的枪声中听到了.308的响声 |
[04:47] | Sounded like my brother-in-law’s gun. | 听着像我姐夫的枪 |
[04:49] | It had that kind of pop to it. | 它有那种嘭的声音 |
[04:51] | We’re gonna have you, have you all, | 我们需要你 你们所有人 |
[04:52] | come down to the station to give us written statements. All right? | 来警察局做笔录 好吗 |
[04:55] | Thank you very much, gentlemen. | 非常感谢 先生们 |
[04:59] | Even for a group of adults who play dress-up in the woods, | 就算是一群在林子里玩体验游戏的成年人 |
[05:01] | they’re confused. | 他们也太迷糊了 |
[05:03] | But the entry and exit wounds did look like they were made | 但是射入伤口和射出伤口看着像是 |
[05:04] | by a .308. | .308造成的 |
[05:06] | I posted people at all the park exits | 我在公园所有出口都安排了人 |
[05:07] | to check the reenactors’ rifles before they’re released. | 在放走演员之前先检查他们的步枪 |
[05:10] | I’m also gonna put out a Finest Message for the white van. | 我还要发通缉令追捕一辆白色货车 |
[05:13] | We can only hope for the best. | 我们只能抱乐观的希望了 |
[05:14] | Let’s hope that Marcus and Watson had more luck. | 希望马库斯和华生能更走运 |
[05:27] | I told George this would happen. | 我跟乔治说过会发生这种情况 |
[05:29] | I warned him a dozen times. You don’t hire a bodyguard | 我警告他好多次了 你不能雇个保镖 |
[05:31] | and then tell him not to guard your body. | 却不让他保护你 |
[05:33] | So you didn’t go onto the battlefield | 战争重演的的时候 |
[05:35] | with Mr. Nix during the reenactment? | 你没跟尼克斯先生一起上战场 |
[05:36] | He said there weren’t any guys who looked like me | 他说殖民统治时期跟英军打仗的 |
[05:38] | fighting for the British army in colonial times. | 没有长得像我这样的 |
[05:41] | So, come out here, and there’s, like, a thousand people | 来这种地方 成百上千人 |
[05:43] | running around with guns, | 手里都拿着枪 |
[05:45] | and he’s got me in the car | 他却因为”历史准确性” |
[05:48] | for “Historical accuracy.” | 让我待在车里 |
[05:50] | I’m curious, why did Mr. Nix have a bodyguard at all? | 我很好奇 尼克斯先生为什么要雇个保镖 |
[05:52] | You ever work out at a Centrix Gym? | 你在晶萃健身房锻炼过吗 |
[05:54] | No, but I’ve seen ’em around. | 没有 但我经常看到这家店 |
[05:56] | Right. I mean, George didn’t own them all, | 它们并不都归乔治所有 |
[05:59] | but he owned the brand and the marketing system. | 但是品牌和营销体系归他 |
[06:02] | So people could pay him a fee | 所以人们可以付给他钱 |
[06:03] | and own their own franchise. | 开一家特许连锁店 |
[06:05] | It must have been pretty profitable for your boss. | 对你老板来说利润一定非常可观 |
[06:07] | Those gyms are all over the place. | 那些健身房到处都是 |
[06:09] | The money was pouring in, | 钱源源不断地滚进来 |
[06:11] | but so were the death threats. | 死亡威胁也随之而来 |
[06:13] | For who? | 威胁谁 |
[06:14] | Well, a lot of people took on debt | 许多人为了入股 |
[06:16] | to buy into the business. | 欠了债 |
[06:18] | And then they found out it was almost impossible | 然后他们却发现想要扭亏为盈 |
[06:19] | to get out of the red. | 几乎是不可能的 |
[06:21] | Some of ’em sell their cars, | 有些人为了防止破产 |
[06:23] | their homes just to keep from going under. | 把车子 房子都卖了 |
[06:25] | George kept it out of the news, | 乔治没让媒体报道 |
[06:27] | but there had been a lot of bankruptcies. | 但有很多人都破产了 |
[06:29] | And these people blame your boss? | 这些人怪罪你老板吗 |
[06:31] | Well, it was in their contract they had to buy | 合同里规定了他们必须 |
[06:33] | used equipment at big markups | 以高价从先入股的人那里 |
[06:34] | from people who had joined the company before them. | 购买二手设备 |
[06:36] | Sounds like some sort of a pyramid scheme to me. | 我听起来像金字塔骗局 |
[06:39] | Because it pretty much is one. | 因为基本上就是了 |
[06:42] | People started sending e-mails | 有人开始发邮件 |
[06:44] | saying they wanted to hurt George, | 说他们想要伤害乔治 |
[06:45] | talking about how they were gonna track him down and kill him. | 说他们打算如何跟踪他然后杀了他 |
[06:48] | One guy said he wanted to cut George’s head off | 有个人说他想把乔治的头砍下来 |
[06:50] | and feed it to his poodle. | 喂他的狮子狗 |
[06:51] | That’s when he called me. | 就是那时候他找了我 |
[06:53] | You still have these e-mails? | 你还有那些邮件吗 |
[06:55] | The security company I work for has access | 我所在的安保公司有乔治的所有账号 |
[06:57] | to all of George’s accounts so that we can monitor threats. | 以便于我们监测威胁 |
[07:00] | I’ll send you a password. | 我回头把密码发给你 |
[07:03] | Three little maids from school are we, | 我们三个是学校的小女仆 |
[07:05] | pert as a schoolgirl well may be, | 像女学生一样俏皮 |
[07:08] | filled to the brim with girlish glee, | 充满了少女的欢声笑语 |
[07:11] | three little maids from school. | 三个学校的小女仆 |
[07:13] | Not a very enthusiastic performance, | 虽然表演得没什么激情 |
[07:15] | but thanks for the demonstration. | 但还是感谢你的示范 |
[07:17] | At least we know your long-term memory is unaffected. | 至少我们知道了你的长期记忆没受影响 |
[07:19] | Evidently my last concussion was not enough | 显然上一次脑震荡不足以抹杀 |
[07:22] | to erase my schoolboy years with Gilbert and Sullivan. | 吉尔伯特与沙利文演出公司对我童年的影响 |
[07:25] | There are elective procedures for that. | 可以进行选择性外科手术 |
[07:28] | Joking aside, Dr. Hanson, | 说正经的 汉森医生 |
[07:29] | that light of yours is pure agony. | 你的灯光真让人痛苦 |
[07:33] | The headaches are getting worse? | 头痛又加重了吗 |
[07:35] | And more frequent. | 而且更频繁了 |
[07:36] | They’re interfering with my focus, my sleep, my existence. | 影响了我的注意力 睡眠 生活 |
[07:39] | Are you taking the gabapentin I prescribed? | 你服用我开的加巴喷丁了吗 |
[07:42] | It’s not helping? | 没有效果吗 |
[07:44] | Point of fact, I think my symptoms are getting worse. | 事实上 我认为我的症状越来越严重了 |
[07:46] | Blurred vision, short-term memory loss, the pain. | 视线模糊 短期失忆 疼痛 |
[07:49] | It’s just not the trajectory I’d hoped for | 这可不是我把自己交给你时 |
[07:51] | when I put myself in your care. | 希望获得的效果 |
[07:54] | Haven’t I been straight with you? | 我不是跟你直说过吗 |
[07:56] | Recovery from post-concussion syndrome | 脑震荡后综合征的恢复 |
[07:58] | doesn’t happen overnight. | 不是一夜就能好的 |
[08:00] | Your brain needs time to heal itself. | 你的大脑需要时间自愈 |
[08:02] | Recovery can be circuitous. | 恢复的过程可能会曲折迂回 |
[08:04] | So that’s the sum total of your professional advice– | 你专业建议的总结就是 |
[08:06] | just wait and hope for the best? | 抱着希望坐等 |
[08:09] | I’m raising your dose of gabapentin | 我把服用加巴喷丁的剂量 |
[08:11] | from 200 milligrams to 400 milligrams. | 给你从200毫克调整到400毫克 |
[08:14] | It might make you drowsy, | 可能会导致嗜睡 |
[08:15] | but you shouldn’t notice any other changes. | 但你自己应该感觉不到什么其它的变化 |
[08:18] | And if that doesn’t do the trick, | 如果还没有效果的话 |
[08:21] | we’ll keep upping the dosage until it does. | 我们会一直加大剂量直到见效为止 |
[08:25] | I know you don’t like putting more pills in your body, | 我知道你不喜欢多吃药 |
[08:27] | but you haven’t had a euphoric reaction. | 但你并没出现欣快反应 |
[08:30] | I don’t believe you’re at any risk of dependency. | 我认为你不会有任何药物依赖的风险 |
[08:34] | Gabapentin may not typically be habit-forming, | 加巴喷丁可能不是上瘾型的 |
[08:37] | but I am. | 但我是 |
[08:39] | Sherlock, this medication’s the best option | 夏洛克 鉴于你的药瘾史 |
[08:43] | for someone with your history of addiction | 以及你所出现的症状 |
[08:45] | and the symptoms you’ve shown. | 这药是最好的选择了 |
[08:47] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[08:54] | What is that on your head? | 你头上是什么东西 |
[08:56] | It’s a welder’s mask from the 1930s. | 是20世纪30年代的焊工面具 |
[09:00] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:01] | Why is it on your head? | 为什么在你头上 |
[09:02] | The Filterweld lenses offer better protection | 焊接过滤镜片比普通的太阳镜的 |
[09:04] | against glare than regular sunglasses. | 强光保护效果更好 |
[09:07] | Your headache’s that bad? | 你头疼那么厉害吗 |
[09:08] | Calling it a headache is an understatement. | 头疼这个词可太轻描淡写了 |
[09:11] | You know, staring at a computer monitor does not help. | 总盯着电脑屏幕没什么好处 |
[09:13] | – I got this. – No, no. | -我来吧 -不不 |
[09:15] | It’s fine. | 没关系 |
[09:16] | I just finished going through the threats made against Mr. Nix. | 我刚看完针对尼克斯先生的那些威胁 |
[09:19] | And? | 然后呢 |
[09:20] | Well, he’s not winning any popularity contests. | 他人缘可不怎么好 |
[09:23] | Half of his franchisees truly loathe him, | 半数加盟商都真心厌恶他 |
[09:25] | but I don’t think any of them are the architects of his demise. | 但他们中间应该没人真对他下手 |
[09:28] | – Why not? – This crime was planned well in advance. | -为什么 -这起案子事前准备充分 |
[09:30] | Our killer was patient and exacting. | 凶手很耐心也很细心 |
[09:32] | These are not traits that spring to mind when you read e-mails like, | 那可不像是能写出这种话的人 |
[09:35] | “I am serious, bro, | “我说真的 哥们 |
[09:37] | I’ll beat your ass until you see stars in the daytime.” | 我要把你揍得大白天看见星星” |
[09:39] | They’re all like this? | 都是这种的吗 |
[09:41] | No, this one stands out for its proper spelling and punctuation. | 不 主要是这封的拼写和标点都难得的规范 |
[09:44] | Even if any of these delightful epistolarians | 即便写这些信的人 |
[09:46] | did harbor homicidal tendencies, | 确实包藏祸心 |
[09:48] | it seems unlikely that any of them would know | 他们也不大可能知道 |
[09:51] | that Mr. Nix planned to travel back to 1776 yesterday | 尼克斯先生昨天计划回到1776年 |
[09:54] | and make himself such a ripe target. | 并让自己成为活靶子 |
[09:57] | Well… | 那 |
[09:59] | So, the e-mails are a dead end. | 邮件一无所获 |
[10:01] | Not entirely. | 也不是 |
[10:02] | I found some turbulent correspondence | 我发现乔治和他女儿玛茜之间 |
[10:04] | between George and his daughter Marcy. | 有一些颇为激烈的互动 |
[10:13] | That’s nasty stuff. | 挺糟心的 |
[10:15] | Doesn’t sound like Thanksgiving at the Nixes’ house | 看来尼克斯家的感恩节 |
[10:16] | would be much fun. | 过得不怎么样 |
[10:18] | But then again, you know, | 不过话又说回来 |
[10:20] | a lot of people argue with their parents. | 很多人都会跟父母吵架 |
[10:23] | Read the last bit. | 看最后这块 |
[10:27] | She dropped off the map | 她跟她父亲断绝关系 |
[10:28] | after severing ties with her father | 然后消失了 |
[10:30] | and told him that she would kill him | 还说他再来找她 |
[10:31] | if he ever came looking for her. | 她就杀了他 |
[10:33] | I wonder if she’s still in his will. | 我好奇他的遗嘱里还有没有她 |
[10:35] | That is a question worth asking her. | 这个问题值得一问 |
[10:37] | I managed to track her to an address in Montebello, | 我查到她在蒙特贝罗 |
[10:40] | which is 35 miles northwest of the city. | 距这儿不到六十公里 |
[10:43] | If you leave now, you could buy yourself a meal | 要是现在动身 你还能吃顿好的 |
[10:45] | which doesn’t smell like decomposing cassowary. | 起码闻着不像腐烂的火鸡 |
[10:48] | You don’t feel like coming along? | 你不想去吗 |
[10:50] | It’s not that. I just, I have to meet with, um, Michael. | 不是 只是 我得去见迈克 |
[10:52] | I’ve mentioned him before. | 我之前提过他 |
[10:53] | Yeah, a couple of times. | 是 提过几次 |
[10:55] | Wait, is he your new sponsor? | 他是你的新担保人吗 |
[10:56] | No. | 不是 |
[10:57] | But I do recognize that it’s important | 但我意识到这种时候 |
[10:59] | to talk to people in times like this, | 跟人聊聊是很重要的 |
[11:01] | and he made himself available. | 而他挤出了时间 |
[11:02] | So, I appreciate that. | 我很感激 |
[11:06] | Now more than usual. | 尤其是现在 比平时更感激 |
[11:23] | Wow, you got here fast. | 你来得真快 |
[11:25] | Sorry about the mess. | 抱歉这里太乱了 |
[11:26] | Don’t be; you should see my place. | 别介意 你该看看我那儿 |
[11:29] | “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, | “如果桌子乱就代表脑子乱 |
[11:31] | of what, then, is an empty desk a sign of?” | 那空桌子则说明了什么呢” |
[11:33] | Who said that? | 谁说的 |
[11:34] | Einstein. | 爱因斯坦 |
[11:35] | That guy. | 那家伙啊 |
[11:36] | You know, when he wasn’t busy figuring out the universe, | 要不是他忙着探索宇宙 |
[11:39] | he sure could crank out quotes for a fridge magnet. | 他说出来的金句肯定都能被做成冰箱贴 |
[11:44] | Do you want to grab a cup of coffee downstairs? | 要不要下楼喝杯咖啡 |
[11:46] | Yeah. | 好啊 |
[11:47] | Okay. | 好啊 |
[11:49] | Your doctor doubled your dose, just like that? | 医生加大了你的药量 就这样 |
[11:51] | Mm, he says there’s no reason not to be aggressive. | 他说没必要采取保守治疗 |
[11:54] | I’ve shown no signs of physical dependency to gabapentin, | 我对加巴喷丁并没有显示出依赖性 |
[11:57] | and, uh, the symptoms of my PCS have been getting worse. | 而且我的脑震荡后综合征症状加重了 |
[12:01] | I’m sorry to hear that. | 很遗憾 |
[12:02] | Yeah. Well, I’m not in any pain at the moment. | 不过我现在并不觉得疼 |
[12:04] | So it’s possible the medication’s working. | 所以药物可能起作用了 |
[12:06] | Right, but you’re anxious about it. | 好吧 但你还是很担心 |
[12:09] | Worried it won’t work? | 担心药没用吗 |
[12:11] | I’m actually more fearful that it will work. | 我倒是更担心药会起作用 |
[12:15] | Right, I get it. You’re an addict. | 也对 我明白 你是瘾君子 |
[12:17] | The idea that you need more drugs… | 想到要大量服药 |
[12:19] | can’t be easy. | 肯定不好受吧 |
[12:20] | When I was using, | 我以前嗑药时 |
[12:21] | I, um, | 我 |
[12:23] | I used this tortured calculus | 我会用极其复杂的微积分算法 |
[12:25] | to, uh, come up with all sorts of reasons | 来想尽办法解释 |
[12:29] | that would justify stuffing my veins with chemicals. | 静脉注射化学品是正确的 |
[12:33] | I want to get better, | 我想要好转 |
[12:35] | but I just don’t, I just don’t | 但我不想 我不想 |
[12:36] | want to go back to thinking that way. | 回到原来的思考方式 |
[12:40] | Well, last time we spoke, | 上次我们聊天时 |
[12:42] | you said you had a partner who was a doctor. | 你说你有个搭档是医生 |
[12:44] | Wh-What did she say about all this? | 她是怎么说的 |
[12:47] | I didn’t discuss it with her. | 我没跟她聊过这事 |
[12:48] | – How come? – Because I know what she’ll say. | -为什么 -因为我知道她会怎么说 |
[12:51] | She’ll say that Dr. Hanson is the finest neurologist | 她会说汉森医生是东海岸 |
[12:53] | on the Eastern Seaboard, | 最棒的神经科医学家 |
[12:54] | and he wouldn’t prescribe this medication | 他给你开这个方子 |
[12:55] | if he didn’t think it was the best course of action. | 是因为他认为这个疗效最佳 |
[12:57] | She’d also say that I’m very, very strong in my program of recovery | 她还会说我在恢复过程中很坚强 |
[12:59] | and that I shouldn’t worry. | 叫我不要担心 |
[13:02] | Maybe she’s right. | 也许她说得对 |
[13:03] | I mean, recovery’s a team sport. | 恢复需要大家一起努力 |
[13:05] | That’s… why we sit in church basements | 所以我们才在教堂地下室 |
[13:08] | and rec centers with people we don’t know. | 及恢复中心里跟陌生人共处一室 |
[13:10] | Because we need other people’s help. | 因为我们都需要别人的帮助 |
[13:14] | We need to allow ourselves to be helped. | 我们需要让自己接受别人的帮助 |
[13:18] | Do you think I should stay on medication? | 你觉得我该继续服药吗 |
[13:21] | Honestly, who cares what I think? | 说实话 谁在乎我怎么想 |
[13:23] | I mean, you’re sober. | 我是说 你现在很清醒 |
[13:25] | You know, there’s no way you could’ve done that | 你要是不相信身边的人 |
[13:27] | without trusting the people around you. | 就绝对不可能做到这程度 |
[13:30] | And right now, when you’re in pain | 而现在 你正处于痛苦中 |
[13:31] | and can’t think straight? | 还无法正常思考 |
[13:32] | It’s probably not the best time to change the formula. | 或许不是进行改变的最好时机 |
[13:37] | I always told Dad | 我一直跟爸爸说 |
[13:38] | capitalism was gonna kill him. | 资本主义会杀了他 |
[13:41] | I don’t mean to be difficult, | 我不是想为难你 |
[13:42] | but we can’t bring charges against capitalism. | 但我们不能起诉资本主义 |
[13:45] | We’re looking for the person who shot him, | 我们在找枪杀他的那个人 |
[13:46] | and we’re here to find out if you know anything about it. | 来这里是想了解下你跟案子的关系 |
[13:50] | You think I killed my dad? | 你觉得是我杀了我爸爸 |
[13:52] | We talked to your father’s accountant. | 我们和你爸爸的会计谈过了 |
[13:54] | It’s his understanding you’re about to inherit | 根据他所说 你即将要继承 |
[13:56] | more than $5 million. | 超过五百万的遗产 |
[13:58] | We know that you and your father were estranged. | 我们知道你和你的父亲很疏远 |
[14:01] | We have the e-mails that you sent to him six months ago. | 我们有你六个月前给他发的邮件 |
[14:07] | Yeah, I said some things I regret, | 是 我说了些后悔的话 |
[14:08] | but like you said, that was six months ago. | 但正像你说的 那是六个月前的事了 |
[14:11] | I’m a completely different person now. | 我现在是完全不同的人了 |
[14:13] | I’ve found my true self here at the commune. | 我在这个公社里找到了真正的自我 |
[14:17] | Okay, but your previous self threatened to shoot him | 好吧 但之前的你曾威胁说 |
[14:19] | if he ever contacted you again. | 如果他再联系你的话就杀了他 |
[14:22] | Did he? | 他有联系你吗 |
[14:23] | No. | 没有 |
[14:24] | And I’ve let all that anger go. | 我已经放走那些愤怒了 |
[14:27] | I don’t even step on ants anymore. | 我都不踩蚂蚁了 |
[14:30] | There’s no way I would kill my own father. | 我绝对不会杀了我的亲生父亲 |
[14:33] | You wouldn’t have to. | 你不用亲自动手 |
[14:34] | You’re about to be rich. | 你很快就会富有 |
[14:35] | There are people you can hire to do that for you. | 有很多人可以雇来代替你下手 |
[14:37] | People? What people? | 人 什么人 |
[14:39] | The only people I know are here at the commune, | 我只认识公社里的这些人 |
[14:42] | and all of us were on a vision hike at Harriman State Park. | 当时我们全员都在哈里曼国家公园冥思远足 |
[14:46] | You can check with the rangers there if you want. | 你们可以跟那里的护林员确认下 |
[14:48] | Plenty of potential guns for hire outside these walls. | 这墙外有很多可以雇佣的枪手 |
[14:53] | Even if that were true, | 就算这是真的 |
[14:54] | there’s no way I could contact them. | 我也没办法联络他们 |
[14:56] | There’s no technology allowed on grounds here. | 这里边禁止携带科技产品 |
[14:58] | You had to check your phones at the door, right? | 你们在门口也都交出了手机 对吧 |
[15:02] | If I were to hire some secret assassin, | 如果我真要雇佣什么神秘刺客 |
[15:05] | I’d have to do it with smoke signals. | 那我只能使用烟雾信号了 |
[15:10] | Look, I get it. | 听着 我明白 |
[15:12] | A lot of people probably would kill for $5 million. | 有很多人可能会为了五百万杀人 |
[15:15] | But I won’t touch a dime. | 但我一分都不会碰 |
[15:18] | Growing up, I saw what my dad’s money did to him– | 从小到大 我见识了钱对我爸爸的影响 |
[15:20] | it turned him into this… soulless machine. | 将他变成了这个 没有灵魂的机器 |
[15:24] | And I was afraid it was gonna do the same thing to me. | 我害怕它也会对我产生同样的影响 |
[15:27] | That’s why I sold all my stuff and moved up here. | 所以我才卖掉了所有东西搬来了这里 |
[15:30] | Whatever inheritance comes my way, | 不管我将继承什么遗产 |
[15:32] | it is a noose, not a blessing. | 都只是套索 而不是赐福 |
[15:35] | I’ll give it all away. | 我会全都送出去 |
[15:44] | What do you think you do on a vision hike? | 你觉得冥思远足是干什么的 |
[15:47] | Look around, I guess. | 我估计就是四处看看吧 |
[15:48] | I mean, we can call the rangers at the park that she mentioned, | 我们可以打给她提到的护林员看看 |
[15:50] | but I’m guessing she’s telling the truth. | 但我觉得她说的是实话 |
[15:52] | I didn’t get a “Killer” Vibe in there, did you? | 我在里边没感受到杀手气息 你呢 |
[15:55] | I’m not sure I’m buying that she wouldn’t step on bugs, | 我不确定信不信她说的不会踩死虫子 |
[15:58] | but no. | 但确实 |
[15:59] | Murdering her father? I don’t see it. | 杀死她父亲 我看不会 |
[16:01] | I’ll take another pass at the e-mail threats | 我会再去查看一遍 |
[16:02] | that George Nix received. | 乔治·尼克斯收到的邮件 |
[16:04] | Maybe Sherlock and I missed something. | 也许夏洛克和我错过了什么 |
[16:07] | Hey, Captain. | 警监 |
[16:08] | Where are you? I’ve been calling. | 你在哪 我一直在打电话 |
[16:10] | Sorry. We had to check our phones at the door | 抱歉 我们在进入玛茜·尼克斯的 |
[16:12] | when we got to Marcy Nix’s commune. | 公社时把手机交出去了 |
[16:14] | Something up? | 有事吗 |
[16:15] | Are you with her right now? | 你们现在和她在一起吗 |
[16:16] | No, but we were a minute ago. | 不 但我们刚才还在一起 |
[16:18] | Neither of us likes her for what happened to her dad. Why? | 我们都认为她和她父亲的死无关 怎么了 |
[16:21] | Because if you were just with her, | 因为如果你们刚和她在一起 |
[16:23] | I guess we can also clear her for burning his house down. | 那我们也可以排除她烧毁他房子的嫌疑了 |
[16:28] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么 |
[16:29] | Fire started an hour ago. | 大火是一小时前起的 |
[16:31] | Fire department did the best they could, | 消防部门尽力而为了 |
[16:33] | but the place is a total loss. | 但房子被烧得精光 |
[16:36] | Someone really didn’t like George Nix. | 有人真的很不喜欢乔治·尼克斯 |
[16:39] | When they killed him, | 他们杀死他 |
[16:40] | looks like they were just getting started. | 看起来只是一个开始 |
[16:48] | Morning. Got your text. | 早上好 收到了你的短信 |
[16:52] | Fire marshal’s report came in? | 消防局的报告来了吗 |
[16:54] | Initial findings. | 最初调查结果 |
[16:55] | Just the thing to start your day. | 作为一天的开始真是再好不过了 |
[16:57] | Arson at the Nix home is confirmed. | 尼克斯家的火确认是人为纵火 |
[17:00] | It was started with a blend of thermite | 首先是铝热剂混合物 |
[17:01] | and something called napalm B. | 然后是某种叫做凝固汽油B的东西 |
[17:04] | Put the two together and you get a mixture | 两者混合在一起就能放出 |
[17:05] | that burns a lot hotter than your average house fire. | 能比平均房屋大火温度更高的火焰 |
[17:08] | Explains why the place went up so fast. | 解释了为什么烧起来得那么快 |
[17:10] | Thermite? Napalm B? | 铝热剂 凝固汽油B |
[17:12] | Where does someone get that stuff? | 一个人要从哪里搞到这些东西 |
[17:13] | I had the same question. | 我提了同样的问题 |
[17:15] | Didn’t love the answer. | 但不喜欢得到的答案 |
[17:16] | There are recipes online. | 网上有配方 |
[17:19] | Everything you need, you can find at your local hardware store. | 你所需要的一切都能在本地五金店找到 |
[17:22] | We can call the stores in the area, | 我们可以询问周边的商店 |
[17:24] | see if anyone recently bought all the ingredients at once. | 看最近有没有人一次性买了所有原料 |
[17:26] | I already got people checking, but I’m not holding my breath. | 我已经让人查了 但我不抱期望 |
[17:28] | Whoever did this was careful. | 做这事的人很小心 |
[17:30] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[17:32] | No prints or DNA recovered at the scene. | 犯罪现场没留下没有指纹或是DNA |
[17:35] | This is interesting, though. | 这个倒是很有意思 |
[17:37] | They think that was left by the guy who set the fire. | 他们认为这是点火的人留下的 |
[17:40] | Why is that? | 为什么 |
[17:41] | The soil composition is a match for the park | 土壤成分 |
[17:44] | where the reenactment was held. | 跟举办战争重现活动的公园相符 |
[17:46] | So it’s not just the timing | 所以不仅是犯罪时间 |
[17:48] | that makes it look like the same person that was behind the fire | 让纵火案和谋杀案 |
[17:51] | was behind the murder. | 看起来是同一人所为 |
[17:52] | Well, whoever he is, I think he committed a third crime. | 不管他是谁 我想他还犯了第三项罪行 |
[17:55] | Before he burned George Nix’s house down, | 他把乔治·尼克斯的房子烧毁前 |
[17:58] | he looted it. | 他把房子洗劫一空了 |
[17:59] | What are we talking about? | 什么意思 |
[18:00] | Well, antique silver forged by Paul Revere, | 保罗·瑞威尔制作的古代银器 |
[18:03] | among other things. | 以及其他很多东西 |
[18:04] | I’ve been reading up on the victim. | 我研究了受害者资料 |
[18:06] | He wasn’t just a Revolutionary War reenactor. | 他不仅是个独立战争的再现爱好者 |
[18:09] | He had a collection of artifacts from that period. | 他还收藏了那个时期的物品 |
[18:12] | Early flags, old documents, that kind of thing. | 早期的旗帜 古老的文件 诸如此类 |
[18:15] | Including a set of Paul Revere’s silver? | 包括一套保罗·瑞威尔的银器吗 |
[18:17] | Yeah. He posed next to it | 没错 这本房屋装修杂志 |
[18:18] | when this interior design magazine | 去年介绍他的房子时 |
[18:20] | featured his house last year; | 他就坐在那套银器边 |
[18:21] | you can see it in the photos. | 照片里能看到 |
[18:23] | All this metal, there’s none of it in those photos. | 所有这些照片里的金属制品都不见了 |
[18:26] | Yeah, and there’s nothing in the report about the fire department | 是 消防部门也没有报告 |
[18:28] | recovering melted silver, either. | 发现熔化的银 |
[18:31] | So this guy could’ve stolen a bunch of artifacts, | 所以这个人可能偷了很多收藏品 |
[18:33] | then torched the place to cover his tracks. | 然后一把火烧了房子毁灭痕迹 |
[18:35] | Well, it would be a big score. | 那他赚大了 |
[18:36] | I mean, the silver alone’s | 仅仅这套银器 |
[18:38] | got to be worth a quarter of a million dollars. | 就得值25万美金 |
[18:41] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:42] | But if all our guy wanted was to rip off Nix, why kill him? | 但如果凶手只想偷东西 为何要杀尼克斯 |
[18:46] | Why draw that kind of attention? | 为什么引出这么大的动静 |
[18:48] | Well, the community of people that deal with this kind of stuff | 这个圈子里的人 |
[18:51] | has got to be pretty small. | 肯定不多 |
[18:52] | Maybe George Nix would’ve been able to guess who robbed him. | 也许乔治·尼克斯能猜出抢劫犯的身份 |
[18:59] | We’re in the middle of a murder investigation. | 我们在调查谋杀案 |
[19:00] | Why didn’t you wake me up? | 为什么你没有叫醒我 |
[19:01] | I made a pretty big racket in the kitchen this morning. | 我早上在厨房弄出很大响动 |
[19:03] | I don’t think a marching band could’ve woken you up. | 我觉得仪仗队游行都吵不醒你 |
[19:05] | You were out. | 你睡得不省人事 |
[19:06] | It must be the gabapentin. | 肯定是加巴喷丁的原因 |
[19:07] | And I’ve only just started taking a higher dose, | 我才刚开始加大剂量 |
[19:09] | and I’m already feeling the effects. | 效果已经出来了 |
[19:10] | The fact that I’m upright is a credit to our French press. | 我能醒来全是法式压滤壶的功劳 |
[19:12] | Well, you’re not gonna recover from PCS | 你的脑震荡后综合征 |
[19:14] | unless you get some sleep; you need your rest. | 只有多睡觉才能好 你需要休息 |
[19:16] | I need my work, too. What’s this? | 我也许要工作 这是什么 |
[19:18] | That is the initial arson report from George Nix’s house. | 这是乔治·尼克斯房子纵火案的初始报告 |
[19:20] | You can read it on the way. | 你可以在路上读 |
[19:25] | And where are we going? | 我们去哪 |
[19:26] | To find Paul Revere’s silver. | 去找保罗·瑞威尔的银器 |
[19:33] | Hello. Uh, we’re looking for Detective Mason, | 你好 我们找梅森警探 |
[19:35] | was told he might be of some assistance. | 听说他能帮上忙 |
[19:37] | Sherlock Holmes. | 夏洛克·福尔摩斯 |
[19:40] | Are you seriously gonna pretend you don’t remember me? | 你真的要假装不记得我吗 |
[19:42] | No, I know you. | 不 我认识你 |
[19:44] | You used to have more hair. | 你过去还有头发 |
[19:45] | You had a lot more hair. You’re Detective Mason. | 你之前头发很多 你是梅森警探 |
[19:47] | I helped you solve a case six years ago, | 我六年前帮你解决了一个案子 |
[19:49] | back when you were just a guy with a funny name. | 那时你还只是个名字很搞笑的人 |
[19:51] | Yes, of course. That poor man with a cleaver lodged in his… | 没错 那个可怜的人被砍刀插在了… |
[19:53] | Yeah. | 对 |
[19:54] | You were still working with me | 你当时和我的合作 |
[19:55] | in “another capacity” at the time. | 还是另一种形式 |
[19:57] | Oh, you were still in the habit of ditching me. | 你当时还有甩我而去的习惯 |
[20:01] | I recall your presence but not your assistance. | 我只记得你的存在 不记得你帮过忙 |
[20:03] | You and me– we had something. | 你和我 我们碰出了火花 |
[20:05] | I thought teaming with you was the start of something big. | 我以为和你联手可以干一番大事业 |
[20:08] | But once we closed the case, you dumped me. | 但我们一结案 你就甩了我 |
[20:10] | Paired up with Marcus Bell | 和马库斯·贝尔搭档 |
[20:11] | and helped make him a star. | 让他火起来了 |
[20:13] | I made no one a star. | 我没让任何人火 |
[20:14] | Marcus Bell is a fine detective in his own right. | 马库斯·贝尔本身就是出色的警探 |
[20:16] | And I’m not? | 我就不是吗 |
[20:17] | You are the NYPD’s foremost expert | 你是纽约警局 |
[20:19] | when it comes to stolen historical artifacts. | 在文物失窃方面首屈一指的专家 |
[20:21] | At least that’s what we’ve been told. | 至少我们这样听说的 |
[20:24] | Can you help us? | 你能帮我们吗 |
[20:27] | Follow me. | 跟我来 |
[20:33] | So this guy, George Nix, | 所以这个乔治·尼克斯 |
[20:35] | somebody burned his house down and killed him? | 有人烧了他的房子又杀了他吗 |
[20:37] | Not in that order, but yes. | 顺序不对 但确实如此 |
[20:38] | We think they were after his Revolutionary War memorabilia. | 我们认为他们要的是他的独立战争收藏品 |
[20:41] | The silver is missing and there’s no way to know | 银器失踪了 |
[20:43] | if the fabric and paper items really burned up | 而且无法确定织物和纸质物品 |
[20:46] | or if they were taken. | 是真被烧毁了还是被偷了 |
[20:48] | There’s only a few places you can really move stuff like that. | 能转移这种东西的地方只有几处 |
[20:50] | So, uh… I’ll help you. | 所以我会帮你们 |
[20:53] | But, uh… | 但是 |
[20:55] | you’re gonna help me, too. | 你也要帮我一个忙 |
[20:57] | How so? | 怎么帮 |
[20:58] | Six months ago, | 六个月前 |
[21:00] | an 1860 Old Tom Morris long-nose golf club | 一根1860年的老汤姆·莫里斯长鼻高尔夫球杆 |
[21:03] | was stolen from the home of a woman | 在一个叫歌楚德·哈加索的女人家里 |
[21:04] | by the name of Gertrude Hardcastle. | 被偷走了 |
[21:07] | Worth a hundred grand. | 价值十万 |
[21:08] | The thieves broke in through the first floor window. | 小偷从一楼窗户潜入房子 |
[21:10] | As you can see, they knocked over a bookcase when they went in. | 这里能看到 他们进入时撞倒了一个书架 |
[21:13] | They disappeared with the club, | 他们带着球杆逃之夭夭 |
[21:14] | nobody’s seen ’em since. | 此后便人间蒸发了 |
[21:15] | Now, if you | 如果你们能 |
[21:16] | – can help me find it… – It’s here. | -帮我找到它 -它还在这里 |
[21:18] | – What? – It’s right here. | -什么 -它就在这里 |
[21:19] | There was no burglary. | 没有入室抢劫案 |
[21:21] | It wasn’t stolen. | 它没被偷 |
[21:23] | The golf club is in the umbrella stand | 高尔夫球杆就在哈加索太太 |
[21:24] | in Mrs. Hardcastle’s foyer. | 门厅的伞架上 |
[21:27] | Note the gouge marks on the front leg of the bookcase. | 看到书柜前腿上的凿痕了吗 |
[21:30] | They were made by the Staffordshire Terrier | 它们是被在这些照片里出现过的 |
[21:32] | which appears in several of these photographs. | 那只斯塔福郡牛头梗弄出来的 |
[21:33] | It’s a breed known for chewing. | 这种狗天性爱咬东西 |
[21:35] | The dog gnawed at the bookcase | 它在书柜上磨牙 |
[21:36] | until it fell over, breaking the window. | 接着又掉下来砸坏了窗户 |
[21:38] | That tripped the alarm. | 就触发了警报 |
[21:39] | How did you…? | 你怎么… |
[21:40] | I submit the golf club is in the umbrella stand | 我觉得是哈加索太太 |
[21:41] | because Mrs. Hardcastle put it there. | 自己把高尔夫球杆放到伞架上的 |
[21:43] | She was confused. | 她糊涂了 |
[21:44] | When she couldn’t find it in the wake of the “Break-in,” | 她没找到”闯入”的迹象 |
[21:47] | she assumed it’d been stolen. | 就以为它被偷了 |
[21:49] | Case closed. | 结案 |
[21:56] | I’ll make some calls for you, see if anybody’s trying to sell | 我会帮你打几个电话 看有没有人在卖 |
[21:59] | any items that have to do with the Revolutionary War. | 和独立战争有关的东西 |
[22:01] | Great. We look forward to hearing from you. | 很好 期待你的回复 |
[22:10] | Chief Cruz? | 科鲁兹局长 |
[22:11] | Thanks for coming in. | 感谢你能来 |
[22:13] | I’m Marcus Bell. | 我是马库斯·贝尔 |
[22:14] | This is Sherlock Holmes, Joan Watson. | 他们是夏洛克·福尔摩斯和乔恩·华生 |
[22:17] | The folks at Southside Pawn thought you might be able | 南区当铺的人觉得你或许 |
[22:20] | to shed some light on a few things for us. | 能帮我们解答一些疑惑 |
[22:23] | They said you called them about… | 他们说你给他们打过电话 为了… |
[22:24] | The stuff I stole from that guy’s house. | 我从那人家里偷了的东西 |
[22:27] | I’m sorry, okay? | 我错了 好吗 |
[22:29] | All right? I-I don’t know what I was thinking. | 我不知道自己当时在想什么 |
[22:31] | But I’ll give it all back. | 但我都会还回去的 |
[22:33] | Very generous of you. | 你可真慷慨 |
[22:34] | But how are you gonna give back George Nix’s life? | 但你要怎么把乔治·尼克斯的命还给他呢 |
[22:36] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[22:38] | Nobody died in that fire. | 那场火灾没人死亡 |
[22:39] | George Nix was shot and killed | 乔治·尼克斯在那场火灾几小时前的 |
[22:41] | during a Revolutionary War reenactment | 一场独立战争的重演上 |
[22:44] | a few hours before it started. | 被人枪杀了 |
[22:46] | We’re guessing it was to divert our attention. | 我们认为这只是为了分散我们的注意力 |
[22:48] | Get us looking one place while you set a fire at another. | 声东击西 好让你有机会纵火 |
[22:51] | You think that I set that blaze? | 你觉得是我放的火吗 |
[22:53] | Last night, you were on one of the trucks that put out the fire | 昨晚你参与了对尼克斯先生家大火的 |
[22:55] | at Mr. Nix’s mansion. | 扑救工作 |
[22:57] | When we started looking into you, we realized | 我们调查你后发现 |
[22:59] | it was the second time you’d been on a call to his address. | 这已经是你第二次到他家出勤了 |
[23:02] | Earlier last year, | 去年早些时候 |
[23:03] | the electrical panel at the house shorted out and started smoking. | 房子的电线短路引发冒烟 |
[23:07] | Your crew got the call to check it out. | 你们团队接到电话后前去调查 |
[23:08] | We’re guessing that’s when you saw his collection. | 我们认为你就是那时候看到了他的藏品 |
[23:10] | We know whoever torched the place | 我们知道烧了那地方的人 |
[23:12] | used a mixture of thermite and napalm B. | 用的是铝热剂和B型凝固汽油的混合物 |
[23:14] | Yeah? So? | 是啊 所以呢 |
[23:15] | So this wasn’t a gas can and matches. | 这不是简单的用汽油放火 |
[23:17] | The guy who did it had some expertise. | 做这件事的人有专业知识 |
[23:20] | You wouldn’t be the first in your profession | 你不是你们这行里第一个 |
[23:22] | to moonlight as an arsonist. | 假公济私当纵火犯的 |
[23:25] | After we got the blaze under control last night, | 我们昨晚将火势控制住后 |
[23:28] | I went inside to search the place. | 我就进去搜查了房子 |
[23:31] | Okay? I-I… | 好吗 我… |
[23:32] | I found a bunch of, uh, antique silver | 我看到了客厅里 |
[23:36] | in the living room, and a fire safe in one of the closets, | 有堆古董银器 有个壁炉里还有防火保险箱 |
[23:39] | and I figured there might be some money in the safe, | 我觉得保险箱里可能有些现金 |
[23:41] | and I could sell the silver, | 银器又可以拿来卖 |
[23:43] | so I packed my gear with it, | 所以我就把它们包了起来 |
[23:45] | and I took it with me outside. | 带到了外头 |
[23:47] | It-it was, like, y-you know, spur of the moment. | 那就是一时的邪念 |
[23:49] | I saw it, I grabbed it, and that was it. | 我看见了就拿走了 就只是这样 |
[23:52] | I didn’t start the fire. | 我没有放火 |
[23:54] | And I sure as hell didn’t kill anyone. | 也绝没有杀任何人 |
[23:58] | If you let me go to my car, I can prove it. | 你们让我去开我的车厢就能证明这一切 |
[24:05] | See? | 看到了吗 |
[24:06] | The silver is ruined. | 银器被毁了 |
[24:07] | There was no money in the safe, just some old documents, | 保险箱里没钱 只有一些旧文件 |
[24:10] | and they couldn’t take the heat. | 都承受不了高温烧化了 |
[24:12] | Now, why would I plan a big heist, | 如果我计划了场大扫荡 |
[24:14] | and then leave all the stuff that I wanted to steal | 我为什么要在起火时 |
[24:16] | inside the house while it burned? | 把所有我想偷的东西都留在里头 |
[24:18] | And you said you can account for your whereabouts | 你说你昨天早上九点到十点间 |
[24:20] | between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m. Yesterday? | 有不在场证明 |
[24:22] | Yeah. I was at the station all day. | 对 我一天都在局里 |
[24:24] | All the guys will tell you. | 那些家伙都能证明 |
[24:26] | And we got cameras there, too. | 我们那还有监控摄像 |
[24:28] | I mean, you believe me now? | 你现在相信我了吗 |
[24:30] | I do. | 我信了 |
[24:31] | But I wish I didn’t. | 但我不希望自己信 |
[24:32] | Pretty sure we’re back to square one with the murder. | 看来我们又回到谋杀上了 |
[24:50] | What is that smell? | 那是什么味儿 |
[24:52] | Progress. | 进展的味道 |
[24:53] | Ugh. I thought you went to bed. | 我还以为你去睡了 |
[24:55] | I did. I slept soundly. | 我去了 一开始睡得很好 |
[24:57] | And then I didn’t. | 接着又睡不着了 |
[24:59] | The medication continues to wreak havoc | 药物持续扰乱着 |
[25:00] | with my circadian rhythms. | 我的生物钟 |
[25:02] | I thought I’d put my wakefulness to good use. | 我觉得自己要化弱势为力量 |
[25:04] | Okay. By doing what, exactly? | 好吧 但要怎么做呢 |
[25:06] | Rectifying an embarrassing oversight. | 弥补一个愚蠢的疏忽 |
[25:08] | We missed a glaringly obvious deduction yesterday. | 我们昨天忽视了一个极易推理出的结论 |
[25:10] | I’m going to blame the gabapentin. | 我是被加巴喷丁害的 |
[25:12] | I’m not sure what your excuse is. | 我不知道你有什么借口 |
[25:14] | Okay, just tell me what we missed. | 好了 快告诉我我们忽视了什么 |
[25:16] | You’ll recall the accelerant used to torch George Nix’s home | 你应该能想起来用来烧乔治·尼克斯房子的 |
[25:19] | was a mixture of thermite and napalm B, | 是铝热剂和B型凝固汽油的混合剂 |
[25:22] | which would burn at about a thousand degrees hotter | 这东西燃烧产生的温度 |
[25:24] | than necessary to burn down a house made mostly of wood and plaster. | 比烧一座木材房所需的燃点高了快一千多度 |
[25:28] | So? | 那又怎样 |
[25:28] | So what if the house | 万一房子 |
[25:30] | wasn’t the arsonist’s true target? | 不是纵火犯真正的目标呢 |
[25:32] | What if they wanted to destroy something | 万一他们想毁掉的是 |
[25:33] | far more resistant to great heat? | 某种更耐热的东西呢 |
[25:36] | The safe the fire chief took from the wreckage. | 消防署长从火灾现场偷走的保险箱 |
[25:38] | You took it from the property room? | 你从证物室拿走了 |
[25:40] | Along with the remains of the documents it contained. | 还有里面文件的剩余部分 |
[25:42] | It’s top-of-the-line. | 这是最顶级的 |
[25:43] | It’s rated to survive a heated environment | 它被评价为能够在 |
[25:45] | in excess of 1,830 degrees Fahrenheit. | 近1000摄氏度的温度中留存下来 |
[25:48] | And yet, it was no match for the accelerant used. | 但它却无法抵抗催化剂的温度 |
[25:51] | You’ll recall the fire chief was quite disappointed | 你应该还记得消防署长 |
[25:53] | the contents were ruined. | 很失望东西被烧毁了 |
[25:55] | So it wasn’t a robbery, | 所以这不是一次抢劫 |
[25:57] | it was a demolition. | 而是一场破坏 |
[25:58] | Well, an attempted one, anyway. | 反正是试图破坏 |
[26:00] | Well, it looks like it worked, to me. | 我觉得已经成功了 |
[26:02] | Only temporarily. | 只是暂时的 |
[26:04] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[26:05] | The smell. Hmm? | 闻到这个味道了吗 |
[26:06] | During the Second World War, | 在二战期间 |
[26:07] | my countrymen developed a method | 英国发明了一种方法 |
[26:09] | to restore burnt documents recovered | 来恢复被炸毁的敌人基地内 |
[26:11] | from bombed out enemy bases. | 被破坏的文件 |
[26:13] | It begins with a 25% solution of chloral hydrate. | 首先需要浓度25%的水合氯醛 |
[26:16] | Okay– well, I don’t care what it is, | 好吧 我不管那是什么 |
[26:17] | I just… I want it to stop. | 我就是 我不想再闻到这个味道了 |
[26:19] | I mean, you really think reading a bunch of burnt documents | 你真觉得研究一堆被烧毁的文件 |
[26:21] | is gonna help? | 对破案会有帮助 |
[26:22] | Oh, it already has. | 它已经发挥作用了 |
[26:23] | I now have a very good idea | 我现在已经非常明确 |
[26:24] | who killed George Nix. | 谁杀了乔治·尼克斯 |
[26:26] | And why. | 以及为什么了 |
[26:34] | You think George Nix was killed and his house got burned down | 你认为乔治·尼克斯被杀和他的房子被烧毁 |
[26:36] | because the killer wanted to destroy some autographs? | 是因为凶手想毁掉一些签名 |
[26:39] | That’s all that was in the safe, | 那是保险箱里仅有的东西 |
[26:40] | and the safe seems to have been the real target. | 而保险箱看起来是真正的目标 |
[26:43] | What’s so special about these autographs? | 这些签名有什么特殊的 |
[26:44] | They’re Button Gwinnetts. | 它们属于巴顿·格威内特 |
[26:46] | But who the hell is Button Gwinnett? | 巴顿·格威内特是谁 |
[26:48] | It sounds like something out of a kid’s book? | 听起来像是儿童书里的人物 |
[26:50] | Button Gwinnett was the provisional president | 巴顿·格威内特是乔治亚殖民地的临时总统 |
[26:52] | of colonial Georgia, and he was one of the signers | 同时他还是《独立宣言》的 |
[26:55] | of the Declaration of Independence. | 其中一个签署者 |
[26:57] | He also happens to have the most valuable signature on Earth. | 而且他的签名是世界上最有价值的 |
[27:01] | Some guy I’ve never even heard of | 一个我从来没听说过的人 |
[27:02] | has the most valuable signature on Earth? | 有着世界上最有价值的签名 |
[27:05] | The last Gwinnett sold at auction | 上一个格威内特签名 |
[27:06] | went for $800,000. | 拍卖了80万美元 |
[27:10] | 56 men signed the Declaration of Independence. | 一共有56个人签署了《独立宣言》 |
[27:12] | The complete set of their signatures is the holy grail | 完整的一套签名 |
[27:14] | for autograph hounds. | 是签名收藏者的圣物 |
[27:16] | Gwinnett’s is the rarest of the bunch. | 这其中格威内特的签名是最稀少的 |
[27:18] | He was fairly obscure, died shortly after the war. | 他鲜为人知 且在战后不久就去世了 |
[27:21] | There are only 51 authenticated Gwinnett signatures. | 目前被鉴定为格威内特的签名只有51枚 |
[27:23] | That’s why they’re worth so much. | 所以它们才这么有价值 |
[27:25] | More valuable than Churchill, Beethoven. | 比丘吉尔 贝多芬 |
[27:28] | Even Shakespeare. | 甚至比莎士比亚的签名都更有价值 |
[27:29] | The fire loss investigator from George Nix’s insurance company | 乔治·尼克斯投保的保险公司的火灾调查员 |
[27:32] | sent us a list of all the insured artifacts | 给了我们一份房子被烧时 |
[27:35] | that were inside the house when it burned down. | 屋内已经投保的物品清单 |
[27:37] | There wasn’t anything about Button Gwinnett. | 没有跟巴顿·格威内特有关的东西 |
[27:40] | We think that George is making a run | 我们认为乔治想通过操纵市场 |
[27:41] | on cornering the market for these autographs. | 来用这些签名赚一大笔钱 |
[27:43] | If we’re right, he would not have wanted anyone to know. | 如果我们是对的 他不会想让任何人知道 |
[27:46] | Sellers would jack up the prices on any he’d want to buy. | 如果知道有人想买 卖家会提高商品的价格 |
[27:49] | Given the rarity of a genuine Gwinnett, | 鉴于一枚真正的格威内特签名的稀有性 |
[27:51] | it’s quite possible that some of the signatures in his trove | 他收藏的一些签名有很大可能是非法获得的 |
[27:53] | were ill-gotten and, thus, uninsurable. | 也就意味着不能投保 |
[27:56] | Well, let’s say you’re right. | 假设你是对的 |
[27:58] | That this was all about these signatures. | 都是为了这些签名 |
[28:00] | Why burn them up? | 为什么要烧了它们 |
[28:02] | If they’re so valuable, | 如果它们这么有价值 |
[28:03] | it doesn’t make any sense to destroy them. | 很难理解为什么要毁了它们 |
[28:05] | You’re right, it does not. | 你说的对 确实难以理解 |
[28:07] | Unless of course, you’ve already got a few of your own. | 除非你自己也有同样的藏品 |
[28:11] | I want to make it clear right up front: | 我想先说清楚 |
[28:12] | my client, Mr. Chambers, has no legal obligation | 我的客户 钱伯斯先生没有法律义务 |
[28:16] | to be here. If, at any point, | 来这里 如果可以的话 |
[28:18] | I deem it appropriate to cut this interview short, | 我希望这次询问能够很快结束 |
[28:21] | that is exactly what will happen. | 我认为实际情况也应如此 |
[28:22] | Okay. I apologize for David. | 好了 我替大卫道歉 |
[28:25] | I made my money dealing in art. | 我在艺术领域发家 |
[28:27] | It’s dog-eat-dog, | 艺术领域是互相残杀的战场 |
[28:28] | so I’ve always chosen my attorneys | 所以我倾向于挑选 |
[28:30] | for their pugnaciousness. | 脾气火爆的律师 |
[28:33] | Truth is, it’s– oh, it’s a treat, | 事实上 这对我来说反而是好事 |
[28:35] | being inside the famous 11th precinct. | 能够来到著名的11分局 |
[28:38] | You know, this structure dates back to 1907. | 这栋建筑建于1907年 |
[28:40] | Perhaps you’d enjoy the holding cell downstairs. | 也许你会更欣赏楼下的拘留室 |
[28:42] | It’s original to the building. | 那是原始建筑 |
[28:45] | Why are we here, Detective? | 为什么找我们 警探 |
[28:47] | A man named George Nix | 一个名叫乔治·尼克斯的人 |
[28:48] | was gunned down during a battle reenactment two days ago. | 两天前在一场战争重演中被枪杀了 |
[28:52] | Well, my day just got a lot more interesting. | 我的这一天真是越来越有趣了 |
[28:56] | You’re accusing me of murder? | 你们指控我谋杀 |
[28:58] | And arson. | 还有纵火 |
[28:59] | George’s house was torched a few hours after he was killed. | 乔治遇害几小时后 他的房子被烧毁了 |
[29:03] | And you imagine Mr. Chambers was involved, why? | 而你们认为钱伯斯先生跟这件事有关 为什么 |
[29:06] | We have reason to believe he was on the battlefield | 我们有理由认为当尼克斯先生被杀时 |
[29:09] | when Mr. Nix was shot. | 他也在那片战场上 |
[29:10] | – Based on what? – Well, I was. | -有什么证据 -我确实在 |
[29:13] | I never miss a battle. | 我绝不会错过任何一场战争 |
[29:16] | Oh, the pageantry, the devotion to detail. | 隆重的仪式 精致的细节 |
[29:18] | Oh, it’s just… always a thrill. | 总是让人兴奋 |
[29:22] | Of course, I’m not the only one that feels that way. | 当然 我不是唯一一个有这种感觉的人 |
[29:25] | There were hundreds of gun-toting reenactors there. | 那里有数百名拿着枪的扮演者 |
[29:28] | Yes, but none of them own the second-largest collection | 确实 但其他人可没有世界第二的 |
[29:31] | of Button Gwinnett signatures in the world. | 巴顿·格威内特签名的收藏量 |
[29:33] | You do. | 你有 |
[29:34] | Your collection tripled in value when George’s Gwinnetts | 随着乔治的收藏灰飞烟灭 |
[29:36] | went up in flames. | 你的藏品价值翻了三倍 |
[29:39] | Oh, that is the last thing I wanted. | 那是我最不想看到的 |
[29:42] | Explain that. | 怎么说 |
[29:43] | I was negotiating | 我当时正在进行谈判 |
[29:44] | to buy the trove you say I destroyed. | 准备购买你声称是我毁掉的收藏品 |
[29:47] | I’d been trying to acquire George’s Gwinnetts for years. | 多年来我一直想把乔治的格威内特签名拿到手 |
[29:50] | He always turned me down. | 但他一直都拒绝我 |
[29:52] | But that was before his, uh, gym franchisees started suing him. | 但那是健身店老板们开始起诉他之前的事了 |
[29:56] | He called me last month | 他上个月打电话给我 |
[29:57] | and asked if I was still interested | 问我是否还有兴趣 |
[29:59] | in taking his collection off his hands. | 接手他收藏的签名 |
[30:01] | Well, even if that’s true, | 就算你说的是真的 |
[30:03] | you obviously never came to terms, | 你们很明显没有达成协议 |
[30:04] | or they wouldn’t have been in his safe | 要不然房子被烧毁时 那些协议 |
[30:05] | when his house burned down. | 应该在他的保险箱里 |
[30:07] | So far, you’ve convinced me of two things: | 目前 你让我确信了两件事 |
[30:09] | one, you knew about his | 第一 你知道他秘密收藏了 |
[30:09] | secret collection of Button Gwinnetts, | 巴顿·格威内特的签名 |
[30:12] | and secondly, you value your own very highly. | 第二 你特别重视自己手上的签名 |
[30:16] | Both of those things are entirely consistent | 这两点都极度符合 |
[30:18] | with the motive they’re ascribing to you. | 他们对你作案动机的分析 |
[30:21] | Let me explain something. | 我再解释一下 |
[30:23] | Even if George told me that he wouldn’t sell, | 就算乔治告诉我他不愿意卖 |
[30:26] | I would never wipe out historical documents. | 我也绝不会毁掉珍贵的历史文件 |
[30:30] | I don’t care how much money we’re talking about. Never. | 不管这涉及多少钱 绝对不会 |
[30:33] | Now, the documents in George’s collection help | 乔治收藏品中的文件 |
[30:35] | tell the story of America. | 记录了美国的历史 |
[30:36] | Helped shape the land and its people. | 记录了这块土地及其人民的历史 |
[30:41] | They’re sacred relics as far as I’m concerned. | 在我看来 这些文件是神圣的文物 |
[30:46] | Now, you-you can have my fingerprints, | 你们可以采集我的指纹 |
[30:48] | my DNA, whatever you want. | 我的DNA 随便你们 |
[30:50] | You’ll see. | 你们会发现 |
[30:52] | I’m quite innocent. | 我非常清白 |
[30:58] | Doctor. | 医生 |
[30:59] | Sally didn’t tell me | 萨利没告诉我 |
[31:00] | you were in here. | 你来了 |
[31:02] | Sally didn’t hear me come in. | 萨利没听到我进来了 |
[31:03] | When I called on the phone, | 我之前打电话过来时 |
[31:04] | she said you didn’t have an opening till Monday. | 她说你周一前都没空 |
[31:06] | Doesn’t work for me. | 对我来说可不行 |
[31:08] | What can I do for you, Sherlock? | 有什么可以帮忙的 夏洛克 |
[31:09] | Since you put me on the higher dose of gabapentin, | 自从你给我开了更高剂量的加巴喷丁 |
[31:11] | my sleep patterns have been troublesome | 我的睡眠模式就给我带来了很大的麻烦 |
[31:14] | and my waking hours have been more and more lethargic. | 我本该清醒的时候也变得越来越昏昏欲睡 |
[31:17] | I told you, it’ll make you drowsy. | 我说过 那个药会让你犯困 |
[31:19] | Unacceptable. There’s got to be something else. | 不可接受 肯定还有别的药 |
[31:21] | There’s got to be another way to treat my condition. | 肯定还有别的方式来治疗我的症状 |
[31:23] | There is. | 确实有 |
[31:25] | Rest. | 休息 |
[31:26] | I know it’s a four-letter word to you. | 我知道那对你来说只是简单的两个字 |
[31:27] | It’s a four-letter word to everyone. | 这对任何人来说都是简单的两个字 |
[31:28] | You know what I mean. | 你懂我的意思 |
[31:30] | The first time we met, I told you | 我们第一次见面时 我就说 |
[31:31] | you should get out of town. | 你应该离开喧嚣的城市 |
[31:32] | Go somewhere quiet for a few weeks, | 去安静的地方待几周 |
[31:34] | a few months. | 甚至几个月 |
[31:35] | Vermont, New Hampshire. | 佛蒙特州 新罕布什尔州 |
[31:36] | Sit in a chair. Stare at the mountains or something. | 坐在椅子里 眺望群山什么的 |
[31:39] | My work is important to me. | 我的工作对我来说非常重要 |
[31:41] | I know it is, but you have to ask yourself, | 我明白 但你必须扪心自问 |
[31:43] | do you want to get by or do you want to get better? | 你是想勉强过活还是让身体好起来 |
[31:45] | If you want to get by, we can try some different medications, | 如果你想勉强过活 我们可以试些不同的药 |
[31:48] | maybe put you on a course of acupuncture. | 也许给你进行一疗程的针灸 |
[31:50] | But if you want to get better, | 但如果你想让身体好起来 |
[31:52] | the best option is a very long vacation. | 最好的选择就是放个长假 |
[31:56] | No work. Just rest. | 不工作 只休息 |
[32:03] | Hey. How’d it go with Dr. Hanson? | 你跟汉森医生谈得怎么样 |
[32:05] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[32:08] | You got my text about Paul Chambers, right? | 你收到我发的关于保罗·钱伯斯的短信了吧 |
[32:10] | You and Marcus don’t think he’s our killer/arsonist. | 你和马库斯认为他不是我们的凶手及纵火犯 |
[32:14] | No, we don’t, but something he said got me thinking. | 是的 但他说的话让我陷入了思索 |
[32:17] | What if it’s not the signatures on the documents | 如果重要的不是文件上的签名 |
[32:19] | that are important, but the documents themselves? | 而是文件本身呢 |
[32:22] | I’ve been reading through them the last few hours. | 我过去几小时一直在看这些文件 |
[32:24] | So, there’s a couple of personal letters, | 里面有一些私人信件 |
[32:26] | there’s a bill of sale for a wagon wheel, | 还有一张马车轮的卖据 |
[32:28] | and then there’s two proclamations | 还有两份关于小麦关税的公告 |
[32:30] | about wheat tariffs, but then there is this. | 不过还有一份这个 |
[32:39] | “Land office warrant number 3743. | “地产局土地转让证书3743号” |
[32:42] | “This grant hereby issued | “本证书开具于 |
[32:43] | March 28, 1777.” Yada, yada, yada, | 1777年3月28日”… |
[32:46] | “Signed Button Gwinnett, Provisional President.” | “签名 巴顿·格威内特 临时总统” |
[32:49] | It’s a bounty land grant. | 这是个政府赠地保证书 |
[32:51] | They’re contracts that promise land to any man | 合同保证向任何 |
[32:53] | who agreed to fight in the American Revolution. | 同意在美国独立战争中战斗的人赠予土地 |
[32:55] | They’re basically recruiting tools for the Continental Army. | 基本上就是大陆军的征兵工具 |
[32:58] | You fight for our new country, | 只要你为我们的新国家战斗 |
[32:59] | we’ll let you keep a piece of it. | 我们就赠予你其中一块土地 |
[33:01] | So, this grant promised a large tract in Georgia | 这份证书保证向一个叫艾伯纳·富勒姆的人 |
[33:04] | to a man named Abner Fulham. | 赠予乔治亚州的一大块土地 |
[33:06] | But the land was stolen | 但这块地 |
[33:07] | during something called the Yazoo land scandal. | 在亚组河土地丑闻中被偷走了 |
[33:10] | That was 1789, correct? | 1789年发生的 对吗 |
[33:12] | I had to look it up, but yeah. | 我还得确认一下 但应该是 |
[33:14] | So, Abner Fulham and a bunch of other people had their land sold | 艾伯纳·富勒姆和其他很多人的土地 |
[33:17] | right out from under them by Georgia’s governor. | 就被乔治亚州州长从他们名下卖出去了 |
[33:21] | Fast-forward to today. | 快进到今天 |
[33:22] | Abner’s descendants are suing | 艾伯纳的后代起诉 |
[33:24] | to reclaim what they say is rightfully theirs. | 要求归还他们声称本属于他们的土地 |
[33:27] | So, who owns the land now? | 那这块土地现在是谁的 |
[33:29] | A developer in Queens named Chris Holland. | 一个叫克里斯·霍兰德的皇后区开发商 |
[33:32] | I know that name. | 我记得这个名字 |
[33:33] | Yeah, you and the captain spoke to him at the park | 你和警监那天在公园 |
[33:35] | the other day. | 跟他谈过 |
[33:36] | He was one of the reenactors. | 他是其中一个演员 |
[33:38] | A witness. | 一个证人 |
[33:39] | If my memory serves, | 如果我没记错的话 |
[33:40] | he had several vague leads, | 他提了好几个含糊不清的线索 |
[33:42] | none of which panned out. | 没有一个是有用的 |
[33:43] | I’m sure he was willing to | 我相信他当时愿意说任何话 |
[33:45] | say anything to seem helpful. | 来显示自己乐于协助 |
[33:46] | He didn’t want you to figure out he had just killed George Nix. | 他不想让你发现他刚杀害了乔治·尼克斯 |
[33:54] | Copy that, I’ll let ’em know. | 收到 我会告知他们的 |
[33:56] | Copy. | 收到 |
[34:01] | What the hell is going on? | 什么情况 |
[34:02] | Chris, I tried calling you. | 克里斯 我试着给你打电话来着 |
[34:04] | They showed up an hour ago | 他们一个小时前出现的 |
[34:05] | and they just started searching everything. | 然后就开始翻箱倒柜地进行搜查 |
[34:07] | We’re looking for the gun you used to murder George Nix. | 我们在找你用来杀害乔治·尼克斯的那把枪 |
[34:10] | You want to see the warrant? | 你想看下搜查令吗 |
[34:12] | It’s right here. | 就在这里 |
[34:13] | You think I killed that guy in the park? | 你们觉得是我杀了公园里那个家伙吗 |
[34:15] | Are you crazy? I told you what I saw. | 你们疯了吗 我把我看到的都告诉你们了 |
[34:17] | You told me a story. | 你跟我讲了个故事 |
[34:18] | You neglected to mention your connection to the victim. | 却故意忽略了你和被害人之间的联系 |
[34:21] | You own the deed to a tract of land | 你拥有乔治亚州奥古斯塔市 |
[34:22] | near Augusta, Georgia, that sits | 附近一块土地的地契 |
[34:23] | on top of a lot of natural gas. | 那片土地下蕴藏了大量天然气 |
[34:26] | You might be able to drill for it | 如果那片土地真正的主人 |
[34:27] | if the people who actually own the land | 输掉了对你提起的诉讼 |
[34:29] | lose their suit against you. | 你就可以开采这些天然气了 |
[34:30] | Normally a claim so old | 通常如此久远的 |
[34:31] | would be tossed out of court as specious, | 土地权主张会被法庭以似是而非为由拒绝受理 |
[34:33] | but there’s plenty of evidence in this case, | 但这个案子有大量的实际证据 |
[34:36] | as I’m sure your real estate attorneys discovered. | 我相信你的不动产律师们已经发现了 |
[34:39] | After they told you | 当他们告知你 |
[34:40] | about the bounty land grant | 乔治·尼克斯 |
[34:41] | that George Nix acquired at auction, | 在拍卖中买下了那份土地悬赏令 |
[34:43] | you tried to buy it from him. | 你试图从他手里买过来 |
[34:45] | I bet he would’ve sold it to you if he knew | 我打赌如果他知道拒绝这笔交易的代价 |
[34:47] | the counteroffer was going to be a bullet to his chest. | 是胸口挨一发子弹 他肯定会愿意卖给你的 |
[34:50] | Chris, say something. | 克里斯 说话啊 |
[34:51] | – Look, I already did. This is crazy. – No. | -我说过了 这太疯狂了 -不 |
[34:54] | Your phone records show you made multiple calls | 你的通话记录显示两周前你给尼克斯 |
[34:56] | to Nix two weeks ago. | 打了好几通电话 |
[34:58] | And according to your most recent credit card statement, | 而根据你最新一期的信用卡账单显示 |
[35:01] | you bought a rifle ten days ago. | 你十天前买了一把步枪 |
[35:03] | You had it custom-fitted with a wooden stock | 你为其定制了一个木制枪托 |
[35:05] | so it would look like the other colonial muskets | 好让它看起来和其他将会出现在公园中的 |
[35:07] | that were gonna be at the park. | 殖民时期的火枪一致 |
[35:08] | – Honey… – Don’t. | -亲爱的 -别说话 |
[35:10] | So, if I’m hearing you right, | 所以 如果我没听错的话 |
[35:12] | I am guilty of using my phone and buying a gun. | 我的罪名是使用自己的电话和买枪 |
[35:16] | Last time I checked, both those things are legal. | 据我所知 两样都是合法的 |
[35:18] | You don’t have any proof and you’re not gonna find any. | 你们没有任何证据 也不会找到任何证据 |
[35:22] | We’ll see about that. | 我们走着瞧 |
[35:32] | No fun when the murderer is right, is it? | 被凶手说中可不好玩 对吧 |
[35:44] | This is infuriating. There’s no doubt in my mind | 这太令人气愤了 毫无疑问 |
[35:47] | that Chris Holland killed George Nix | 克里斯·霍兰德杀害了乔治·尼克斯 |
[35:48] | and then burned down his house. | 并纵火烧了他家 |
[35:50] | I keep going back to the gun. | 我一直在想那把枪 |
[35:51] | The .308 that he must have retrofitted | 那把.308的步枪他肯定做了改装 |
[35:53] | to look like a colonial musket. | 使其看上去像是一把殖民时期火枪 |
[35:55] | Me, too. | 我也是 |
[35:56] | Didn’t turn up at his house or his office. | 在他家里和办公室里都没发现那把枪 |
[35:58] | It wasn’t left on the battlefield. | 也没被丢在模拟战场上 |
[36:00] | I mean, half the NYPD combed over that park. | 半个纽约警局的人地毯式搜索了那个公园 |
[36:03] | It would’ve been found. | 如果在那里肯定早就被找到了 |
[36:05] | He must’ve taken it somewhere and then chucked it, | 他肯定把枪带到哪里去扔掉了 |
[36:07] | but how did he get it away | 但他一开始是如何 |
[36:08] | from the scene in the first place? | 把枪从犯罪现场带走的呢 |
[36:10] | When you and the captain spoke to him, | 你和警长询问他时 |
[36:12] | he had a different gun. A fake one, right? | 他手上是另一把枪 一把假枪 对吗 |
[36:14] | He had a very small window | 他只有非常小的一段时间 |
[36:16] | to make the swap. | 可以进行掉包 |
[36:17] | Perhaps the when will tell us the where. | 或许时间能告诉我们地点 |
[36:22] | The first 911 call regarding the shooting was at 8:52 a.m. | 关于这次枪击的第一通报警电话是早上8:52 |
[36:26] | Officers arrived on the scene 9:04. The responding officers | 警官赶到现场是9:04 赶到现场的警官们 |
[36:29] | took names of all the men who were near George Nix | 把乔治·尼克斯被害时周围所有人的名字 |
[36:32] | when he died. | 都记下来了 |
[36:33] | Chris Holland was on that list. | 克里斯·霍兰德是其中之一 |
[36:35] | That gives him very little time | 所以他只有很短的时间 |
[36:37] | to dispose of the murder weapon | 来丢掉凶器 |
[36:38] | and replace it with a fake musket. | 并掉包成一把假的火枪 |
[36:41] | What about the portable toilets? | 那些移动公厕呢 |
[36:43] | There are a bunch on the edge of the park. | 公园边有一排 |
[36:45] | I mean, I know the police checked them, | 我知道警方检查过了 |
[36:46] | but how closely do you think they really looked? | 但你觉得他们检查得够仔细吗 |
[36:48] | Especially after Holland floated that story | 尤其是在霍兰德说出了那个编造的 |
[36:50] | about the killer fleeing in a white van. | 凶手乘白色货车逃离的故事后 |
[36:52] | So, he puts the real gun in the latrine | 所以 他把真枪放在了公厕里 |
[36:55] | and then returns with a fake one | 然后带着假枪回到现场 |
[36:57] | to play the part of innocent bystander. | 装作自己是无辜的围观群众 |
[36:59] | Certainly repellent, but no more than murder. | 虽然很令人反胃 但还是比不上谋杀 |
[37:04] | I’ll call the toilet rental company, | 我去给公厕租赁公司打个电话 |
[37:06] | find out where they empty their tanks. | 问问看他们在哪倾倒排泄物 |
[37:07] | Maybe we’ll get lucky and wrap this thing up. | 或许我们可以走运地找到凶器搞定这桩命案 |
[37:11] | This might be my last case for several months. | 这或许是我近几个月办的最后一个案子了 |
[37:15] | Why? | 为什么 |
[37:16] | Dr. Hanson has reiterated his recommendation | 汉森医生重申了他的建议 |
[37:18] | that I take more time off. | 我应该休个假 |
[37:21] | Total peace and quiet | 完全远离纷扰的安宁 |
[37:22] | might be my best chance at a quick recovery. | 或许是我快速康复的最佳机会了 |
[37:25] | In fact, it might be | 实际上 这可能是让我的 |
[37:26] | the only way I overcome PCS. | 脑震荡后综合征痊愈的唯一方法 |
[37:29] | How do you feel about that? | 你对此作何感受 |
[37:30] | Conflicted. | 很矛盾 |
[37:33] | I’ve always found what we do quite curative. | 我一直觉得我们所做的工作是很治愈的 |
[37:35] | I feel I am at my best when I’m working, | 我觉得自己在工作时状态最佳 |
[37:38] | so it seems counterintuitive | 所以 认为我所做的工作 |
[37:39] | to think that that might be what’s doing me harm. | 或许对我的健康不利这个想法似乎有违常理 |
[37:43] | I can’t imagine taking the amount of time off | 我无法想象自己像他建议的那样 |
[37:45] | that he suggested. | 给自己放个长假 |
[37:46] | Well, maybe you should talk to him. | 或许你该去找他聊聊 |
[37:47] | See if you can start smaller. | 看能不能先从短假开始 |
[37:49] | We’ve got a week or two between cases. | 我们遇到过两个案子之间隔个一两周的情况 |
[37:51] | It happens. | 这是常有的事 |
[37:53] | I mean, you’ve always seemed to manage your downtime. | 你似乎总能管理好你的停工期 |
[37:55] | By boxing, sparring with my singlestick, reading, | 我打拳击 挥舞我的单棍 阅读 |
[37:58] | my pastimes are many. | 我有很多消遣方式 |
[38:00] | Those that aren’t strictly prohibited by my condition | 而那些没被我的情况严格禁止的项目 |
[38:03] | are made more difficult. | 会更难去做 |
[38:06] | Maybe take a week off? | 要不休息一周 |
[38:09] | If it goes well, then you can push it longer. | 如果状况良好 就可以再把时间拉长 |
[38:12] | Excrement. | 粪 |
[38:13] | Okay, well, maybe it’s not such a great idea. | 好吧 可能这主意不太好 |
[38:16] | Not your idea. | 不是指你的主意 |
[38:17] | You were quite close. | 你很接近真相了 |
[38:19] | The answer we’re looking for might lie in excrement, | 我们要找的答案也许就在粪便里 |
[38:25] | just not the kind you were imagining. | 只是不是你想的那样 |
[38:29] | Take it in, Chris. | 接受吧 克里斯 |
[38:30] | It’s the center of your undoing. | 这是你失败的核心 |
[38:33] | Is this a joke? | 这是开玩笑吗 |
[38:35] | What, you guys didn’t find anything at my house yesterday. | 你们昨天在我家什么也没搜到 |
[38:37] | Now what? You’re gonna use my cat’s litter box | 现在怎样 你要用我家的猫砂盒 |
[38:39] | to prove I killed George Nix? | 来证明我杀了乔治·尼克斯 |
[38:40] | No, but we are going to use it | 不 但我们会用它来证明 |
[38:42] | to prove that you burned down his house. | 你烧了他家 |
[38:45] | Cat litter | 猫砂 |
[38:45] | is mostly sodium bentonite. | 通常是钠基膨润土 |
[38:47] | It’s an extremely absorbent clay made from volcanic ash. | 是种由火山灰制成的吸附性极强的土 |
[38:51] | It’s so absorbent, in fact, | 吸附性太强了 实际上 |
[38:52] | that arson investigators use it to trap moisture | 纵火调查中会使用它来检测 |
[38:55] | which might be left at crime scenes. | 可能留在犯罪现场的水分 |
[38:57] | It can be tested to identify | 可以检测来识别 |
[38:59] | the exact chemical fingerprint of whatever accelerant | 用于放火的催化剂所产生的 |
[39:02] | was used to start a fire. | 化学指纹 |
[39:03] | Gasoline, for example. | 比如汽油 |
[39:05] | Or in your case, a mixture of napalm B and thermite. | 在你的案子里则是B型凝固汽油和铝热剂的混合剂 |
[39:08] | Yesterday when we spent time in your lovely home, | 昨天我们在你可爱的小家时 |
[39:10] | it became obvious where you would’ve brewed | 你会在哪酿造那种特殊鸡尾酒 |
[39:12] | that particular cocktail. | 已经非常明显了 |
[39:14] | The garage. | 车库 |
[39:15] | Has a workbench, two sinks, | 里面有工作台 两个水槽 |
[39:17] | plenty of privacy. | 大量的私密空间 |
[39:18] | It’s the perfect spot for, uh, illicit home chemistry. | 这是配置非法家庭化学品的完美场所 |
[39:22] | Problem is, it’s also | 问题是 |
[39:23] | the perfect place for a litter box. | 这也是放置猫砂盒的完美场所 |
[39:25] | We stopped by your house this morning | 我们今早去了你家 |
[39:27] | after you left for work. All above board. | 在你出门去工作后 所以程序都是合法的 |
[39:29] | We got an amended warrant for a second search. | 我们有修改后的搜查令 进行二次搜查 |
[39:33] | Residue in your kitty litter is an identical match | 你家猫砂中的残余物 |
[39:36] | for the accelerant that was used at George Nix’s home. | 与乔治·尼克斯家纵火的催化剂完全吻合 |
[39:39] | We can prove you started the fire. | 我们可以证明是你放的火 |
[39:41] | So, you’re gonna charge me with arson? | 所以 你们要告我纵火 |
[39:44] | Nobody was hurt in that fire. | 那场火灾中没有伤亡 |
[39:46] | A guy like me does what? A year? | 像我这样的人会被判多久 一年 |
[39:49] | No. You’ll be in a lot longer than that. | 不 你要待的时间久得多 |
[39:52] | We’re gonna find the gun you used to shoot George. | 我们会找到你用来射杀乔治的枪 |
[39:55] | We’re pretty sure you stashed it | 我们很确定你把它藏在 |
[39:56] | in one of the portable toilets on the edge of the park. | 公园边上的一个移动公厕里了 |
[39:59] | I’ve got guys headed over to the company | 我这会已经派人 |
[40:01] | that provided those toilets right this minute. | 去这些移动公厕所属的公司了 |
[40:04] | But I’ll tell you what. | 但我跟你说 |
[40:05] | If I were you, | 如果我是你 |
[40:06] | I’d confess now. | 我现在就会坦白 |
[40:08] | ‘Cause if you don’t | 因为如若不然 |
[40:10] | and you make a few dozen cops | 你还让好几十个警察 |
[40:12] | dig through a mountain of literal crap to find your gun, | 在屎尿中找你的枪 |
[40:17] | I guarantee you | 我跟你保证 |
[40:18] | you’ll be facing the least friendly prosecution | 你会面临纽约司法史上 |
[40:21] | in the history of the New York judicial system. | 最不友好的起诉 |
[40:31] | That’s an industrial size cup of coffee. | 这咖啡也太大杯了吧 |
[40:34] | Caffeine and gabapentin | 咖啡因和加巴喷丁 |
[40:35] | are fighting a war in my neural cortex. | 正在我的神经皮层中打仗 |
[40:38] | You wanted to talk? | 你想聊聊吗 |
[40:40] | Yeah. I was thinking about the things you said the other day, | 是的 我一直在想你那天说的那些话 |
[40:43] | the problems you’ve been having, | 你的那些困扰 |
[40:44] | and, uh, I thought I might have a way to help. | 我觉得我可能有办法帮你 |
[40:47] | Well, if you’re about to suggest an extended holiday, | 如果你要建议我休一个超长的假期 |
[40:50] | someone’s beaten you to it. | 已经有人领先你了 |
[40:51] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[40:52] | My doctor says I need to take time off. | 我的医生说我需要放假 |
[40:54] | And that I should continue to medicate myself. | 还说我该继续吃药 |
[40:57] | Can you do that? | 你能做到吗 |
[40:58] | Just take time off? | 就这么去休假 |
[40:59] | I mean, it’s not like the bad guys take a break. | 毕竟坏人可不会休息 |
[41:01] | Not my favorite solution. | 这不是我最喜欢的方案 |
[41:03] | You have another? | 你有别的提议吗 |
[41:06] | Um, I don’t know if it’s a solution, but yeah. | 我不知道这算不算方案 但是是的 |
[41:09] | You know how much my work means to me | 你知道我的工作对我有多重要 |
[41:11] | and how I use it to distract myself. | 也知道我是如何利用工作来分散注意力的 |
[41:13] | I do. I also know that | 我知道 我还知道 |
[41:15] | you shouldn’t pin your sobriety on anything. | 你不该把你的清醒绑定在任何事上 |
[41:17] | You could get fired. Your company could go under. | 你可能会被炒 你的公司可能会走下坡路 |
[41:22] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[41:23] | Yeah, point is, uh, there’s this girl I know from the program. | 重点是 我在项目中认识了一个女孩 |
[41:28] | She always goes to the same meetings | 她总是去同样的互助会 |
[41:30] | like clockwork, for years. | 像钟表一样按部就班 有好几年了 |
[41:32] | Last Tuesday, she doesn’t show up 7:00 p.m. at St. Olaf’s. | 上周二 圣奥拉夫晚上七点的会她没出现 |
[41:36] | Then she doesn’t show up to the Thursday meeting. | 然后周四的互助会她也没出现 |
[41:39] | So, I reach out to her sponsor, | 所以我联系了她的担保人 |
[41:41] | and it turns out she hasn’t even been showing up to work. | 发现她也没去上班 |
[41:46] | I don’t know. I’m just worried about her. | 我说不好 我只是很担心她 |
[41:49] | You want me to look for her? | 你想让我去找她 |
[41:51] | Yeah, I would feel better knowing she’s okay. | 是的 要是能知道她没事就好了 |
[41:53] | I mean, I just… | 我只是… |
[41:55] | I thought it might help you, too. | 我觉得也许对你来说也有帮助 |