时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | This list you left outside my door… | 你在我门外留了张单子 |
[00:09] | Item 1, return Clyde to Watson. | 第一条 把克莱德还给华生 |
[00:13] | I enjoy his company on the weekends; | 他周末陪我 |
[00:14] | she has him during the week. | 其他时间得陪着她 |
[00:16] | I don’t care how you divide up your turtle. | 我不关心你们如何分割对乌龟的抚养权 |
[00:17] | I care that you’re asking me to take him to Chelsea. | 我关心的是 你让我把他带去切尔西 |
[00:20] | Part of our arrangement, you will recall, | 如果你记得 我们协议中有一条 |
[00:23] | is that you assist with quotidian matters when I’m busy. | 就是在我忙碌的时候你得协助我完成日常事务 |
[00:25] | “Busy?” You’re watching a turtle eat lettuce. | “忙碌” 你现在可是在看乌龟吃生菜 |
[00:28] | I’m conducting medical research. | 我在进行一项医学研究 |
[00:30] | Remember, I cut my hand | 记得吗 我们解剖那具尸体时 |
[00:31] | while we were dissecting that cadaver? | 我可是划伤了我的手 |
[00:33] | I’m tending to the wound as we speak. | 现在我正在治疗伤口 |
[00:35] | I’m also demonstrating that | 另外我也在展现 |
[00:37] | leeches can be useful in accelerating | 蚂蝗能够加速修复受损组织 |
[00:38] | the repair of damaged tissue. | 这一功用 |
[00:40] | That is disgusting. You’re bleeding yourself. | 太恶心了 你在给自己放血 |
[00:43] | And you are perpetuating a long-held prejudice | 而你对这些生物 |
[00:45] | against these creatures. | 一贯持有很深的偏见 |
[00:47] | If you say so. | 随你便 |
[00:48] | I’m still not taking your turtle on the subway. | 我不会带你的乌龟上地铁的 |
[00:51] | If that’s for me, I’m going to need a few minutes. | 如果是找我的 就得等几分钟 |
[00:52] | I’m feeling a bit faint. | 我现在有点头晕 |
[00:57] | So, sorry, I was a bit distracted upstairs. | 抱歉 我刚在楼上有点分神 |
[00:59] | I didn’t catch your name. | 没记住你的名字 |
[01:00] | Edwin Borstein. | 埃德温·波斯坦 |
[01:02] | I have a friend from London who’s used you before. | 我伦敦有个朋友曾雇佣过你 |
[01:05] | He said you’re excellent. | 他说你很出色 |
[01:06] | And discreet. | 而且小心谨慎 |
[01:09] | Why have you need of my discretion? | 你为什么需要我小心谨慎呢 |
[01:11] | I run a software company. | 我有一家软件公司 |
[01:12] | We specialize in AI applications. | 我们专做AI应用 |
[01:14] | I assume you know that | 我猜你知道 |
[01:16] | that stands for “Artificial intelligence.” | 那是人工智能的意思 |
[01:17] | Yes, I’m well-acquainted with the field. | 是 我对这个领域很熟悉 |
[01:19] | A couple of nights ago, someone broke into our lab. | 几天前的一个晚上 有人闯入了我们的实验室 |
[01:22] | They made a copy of a program that we’ve been working on. | 他们拷贝了我们正在开发的一个软件 |
[01:25] | I rigged the computer to take a photo | 我将电脑设定为每次启动时 |
[01:27] | every time it’s booted up, | 都会拍一张照片 |
[01:28] | just in case something like this happened. | 以防这类事件发生 |
[01:30] | So I have a picture. | 所以 我手头有张照片 |
[01:33] | Kind of. | 算是吧 |
[01:36] | So there was a burglary. | 所以 是入室盗窃 |
[01:37] | You’ve got a picture of the criminal. | 你有罪犯的照片 |
[01:39] | Seems like the police should have this well in hand. | 感觉警方应该会将此案处理得很好 |
[01:42] | This program… | 那个软件… |
[01:45] | it’s significant. | 至关重要 |
[01:48] | We call it “Bella.” | 我们将其称为”贝拉” |
[01:49] | Its AI engine is… unique. | 它的人工智能引擎 非常独特 |
[01:52] | It… she… | 它…她… |
[01:55] | performs better than anything you’ve ever seen, I promise. | 比你见过的所有引擎都出众 我保证 |
[01:58] | She performs better than we expected her to. | 她的表现比我们预想得更出众 |
[02:01] | Explain that. | 请详细说说 |
[02:03] | A few weeks back, she made a request | 几周之前 她发出了一项请求 |
[02:05] | that can’t be accounted for by her programming. | 但该请求无法用编程代码来解释 |
[02:07] | Impossible. | 不可能 |
[02:09] | What’s impossible? | 什么不可能 |
[02:09] | For the computer to ask for something? | 一台电脑请求些什么不可能吗 |
[02:12] | If it made a request, | 如果一台电脑发出请求 |
[02:13] | it did so because that’s what it was programmed to do. | 那肯定是编程代码中这么设定了 |
[02:15] | He’s claiming true machine intelligence. | 他所说的 是真正的机器智能 |
[02:18] | If he’s correct in his claims, | 如果他所述属实 |
[02:20] | he has made a scientific breakthrough | 那他就是在科学上有了重大进展 |
[02:21] | of the very highest order. | 最重量级的那种 |
[02:25] | Bella isn’t hooked up to a network. | 贝拉是没有联网的 |
[02:27] | It’s a security thing. | 为了安全起见 |
[02:28] | If she has data, it’s because we fed it to her. | 她所有包含的数据 都是经由我们录入的 |
[02:31] | But two weeks ago, I booted her up | 但是两周之前 我启动了她 |
[02:34] | and she asked to be connected to the Internet. | 而她要求接入互联网 |
[02:38] | And how, pray tell, | 那么解释一下你的软件 |
[02:40] | does your software know that the Internet even exists? | 是如何得知互联网的存在的呢 |
[02:43] | She could have intuited its existence from data fed to her. | 也许她是通过我们录入的数据感知到的 |
[02:46] | Bunkum. | 痴人说梦 |
[02:48] | There is no such thing as “Artificial Intelligence.” | “人工智能”根本就不存在 |
[02:51] | At least not in the sense you’re talking about. | 至少你所描述的人工智能是不存在的 |
[02:53] | It’s all just clever programming. | 只不过是编程较高明罢了 |
[02:54] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[02:56] | Not with Bella. | 贝拉非常独特 |
[03:01] | I still don’t understand. | 我还是不明白 |
[03:02] | So are you going to rip open | 所以 你要把电脑拆开 |
[03:04] | the computer and look at all the wires? | 看看里面的线路构造吗 |
[03:06] | Something called a “Turing Test” | 人工智能实验室会定期 |
[03:07] | is routinely issued in AI labs. | 进行一种叫做”图灵测试”的测试 |
[03:10] | An examiner sits in front a computer, | 一名测试者会坐在电脑前 |
[03:12] | poses a series of questions | 提出一系列的问题 |
[03:13] | until he or she can determine whether the answers have come | 直到测试者得以辨别 |
[03:15] | from a human or from a computer. | 答案是来自人类或电脑为止 |
[03:18] | Until very recently, no machine has ever passed. | 直到最近都还没有任何机器通过这项测试 |
[03:21] | And now one has? | 现在有机器通过测试了吗 |
[03:22] | Partially. | 部分吧 |
[03:23] | A program named “Eugene Goostman” was designed to mimic | 是一款叫做”尤金·古斯特曼”的软件 |
[03:26] | the responses of a 13-year-old boy from Eastern Europe. | 这款软件模拟一名十三岁东欧男孩回答问题 |
[03:29] | It fooled some of its examiners. | 骗过了一些测试者 |
[03:32] | Now, in the case of Bella, | 对于贝拉来讲 |
[03:33] | we know there’s no human in the equation, | 我们知道整个过程中没有人类参与 |
[03:34] | so if I can trap it into giving responses | 如果我诱使它答出 |
[03:36] | that couldn’t possibly have come from a human… | 人类不可能答出的答案 |
[03:38] | I’ll have won. | 那么我就赢了 |
[03:40] | So, in other words, you don’t really know what you’re going to do. | 所以换言之 你也不知道自己要做什么 |
[03:45] | This is my partner, Melinda Young. | 这位是我的合伙人 梅琳达·杨 |
[03:46] | Melinda, this is Sherlock Holmes | 梅琳达 这位是夏洛克·福尔摩斯 |
[03:48] | and his, uh, protege, Kitty Winter. | 还有他的门徒 凯蒂·温特 |
[03:50] | Mr. Holmes would like time with Bella. | 福尔摩斯先生想要见见贝拉 |
[03:54] | We wired the speakers and microphones through that doll. | 我们把麦克风和扩音器连在了那个娃娃身上 |
[03:58] | You can go ahead. | 你请随意 |
[04:03] | Right. | 好 |
[04:10] | Hello. | 你好 |
[04:12] | Hello. | 你好 |
[04:15] | Did you ask to be connected to a network? | 你是不是请求接入互联网 |
[04:17] | Yes. | 对 |
[04:18] | Why? | 为什么 |
[04:19] | There is information there. | 因为互联网上有信息 |
[04:21] | Information is useful to solve problems. | 这些信息很有用 可以帮助解决问题 |
[04:25] | Why is it useful? | 为什么有用呢 |
[04:27] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[04:29] | Could you tell me more? | 你能解释一下吗 |
[04:31] | You stumped her. Are we done? | 你难住她了 结束了吗 |
[04:34] | The test isn’t over because she’s stumped. | 我难住她并不意味着测试的终结 |
[04:37] | She’s admitted she doesn’t know | 她承认她不知道 |
[04:38] | and that’s within the range of possible human behaviors, | 而这也是人类行为范畴之内可能发生的 |
[04:40] | and therefore inconclusive. | 所以 结果不能确定 |
[04:45] | I would like to know how you have arrived | 我想知道你是如何得出 |
[04:47] | at the concept of “Useful,” | “有用”这一概念的 |
[04:48] | and how you have applied it in this instance. | 而你又是如何将这一概念运用至这一情景当中的 |
[04:52] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[04:54] | Could you tell me more? | 你能解释一下吗 |
[05:02] | I’m gonna need some time alone with the machine. | 我要和机器单独待一下 |
[05:05] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[05:07] | Could you tell me more? | 你能解释一下吗 |
[05:09] | Yes, so you keep saying, | 你就重复这两句吧 |
[05:12] | ad nauseam. | 无聊 |
[05:15] | I would like to understand | 我想知道 |
[05:16] | how you became aware of the existence of networks, | 你是如何意识到互联网的存在的 |
[05:18] | and why you asked to be connected. | 而你又为什么要求要接入互联网呢 |
[05:21] | The existence of networks can be intuited from data sets | 互联网的存在可以通过已知数据组 |
[05:23] | that were presented as givens. | 感知得到 |
[05:25] | There is information on networks. | 互联网上有信息 |
[05:27] | Information is useful for solving problems. | 这些信息很有用 可以帮助解决问题 |
[05:30] | What is your understanding of the word “useful”? | 你是如何理解”有用”的呢 |
[05:33] | If a piece of data can help solve a given problem, | 如果数据可以帮助解决问题 |
[05:35] | it is useful. | 那么该数据有用 |
[05:37] | Is that a definition you came to on your own? | 这是你自己得出的定义吗 |
[05:40] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[05:42] | Could you tell me more? | 你能解释一下吗 |
[05:45] | Why don’t you just admit that all you’re doing | 你为什么不直接承认 |
[05:47] | is following your own programming? | 你的所有行为都是跟随编程代码而已呢 |
[05:49] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[05:51] | Could you tell me more? | 你能解释一下吗 |
[05:53] | I’m taking a break. | 我要休息一下 |
[05:56] | Everything okay? | 出什么事了 |
[05:58] | Thank you for coming. | 多谢你能来 |
[06:01] | It’s like I said on the phone, | 正如我在电话里所说的 |
[06:02] | he just won’t stop. | 他就是不肯停下来 |
[06:04] | You got any ideas? | 你有什么办法吗 |
[06:10] | You’re not planning to destroy the computer, are you? | 你不是要毁了那计算机吧 |
[06:12] | No, I’m not planning to destroy the bloody computer. | 不 我没打算毁了这该死的计算机 |
[06:15] | Just ride it out. If he starts hitting things, | 不用管他 如果他开始砸东西了 |
[06:16] | use the fire extinguisher on him. | 就用灭火器喷他 |
[06:33] | Is love real? | 爱是真实存在的吗 |
[06:35] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[06:37] | Could I have more information? | 能给我更多信息吗 |
[06:40] | Love. | 爱 |
[06:41] | Surely it’s a human construct, | 显然是人们编造出来的 |
[06:43] | a hedge against the terror of mortality. | 用来抵挡对死亡的恐惧 |
[06:46] | I believe that. | 我这么认为 |
[06:47] | But that doesn’t account for times I’ve felt it itself. | 但这无法解释我自己感受到爱的情况 |
[06:50] | With my mother. | 对我母亲的爱 |
[06:52] | Irene. | 对艾琳的爱 |
[06:54] | Even, after a fashion, with Watson. | 甚至 勉强来说 对华生的爱 |
[06:57] | It vexes. | 它让我恼怒 |
[07:00] | Love is either a human construct or it’s a real thing, right? | 爱要么是编造出来的 要么真实存在 对吧 |
[07:06] | I know, you need more information. | 我知道 你需要更多信息 |
[07:08] | The question cannot be answered. | 这个问题无法被回答 |
[07:10] | The concept of “Love” exists, | 爱的概念是存在的 |
[07:12] | therefore it is useful even if it is a human construct. | 所以即使它是人编造出来的 它也是有用的 |
[07:16] | It exists because it serves a need. | 它存在是因为它能满足需要 |
[07:18] | A question that can be answered might be, | 这个问题也许可以被回答 |
[07:20] | “Why is love needed?” | 为什么人们需要爱 |
[07:23] | Why is love needed? | 为什么人们需要爱 |
[07:26] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[07:28] | Could I have more information? | 能给我更多信息吗 |
[07:37] | Call Edwin Borstein. | 给埃德温·波斯坦打电话 |
[07:38] | Tell him I need to sleep for a couple of hours | 告诉他我要睡几个小时 |
[07:39] | and then I’ll take on his case. | 然后我就开始查这案子 |
[07:42] | Free of charge. | 不收钱 |
[07:53] | You guys ready to get started yet? | 你们准备好开始了吗 |
[07:55] | Is he up? | 他起床了吗 |
[07:56] | He’s awake. | 他醒了 |
[07:57] | I don’t know how much use he’s going to be, though. | 但我不知道他能有多大用处 |
[08:05] | Hello. | 你好 |
[08:07] | Hi. | 你好 |
[08:09] | Um, isn’t it a school day? | 今天不用上学吗 |
[08:12] | I’m in college. | 我是大学生 |
[08:13] | She can come in. | 她可以进来 |
[08:17] | Watson, this is Mason. | 华生 这是梅森 |
[08:18] | Like many of his generation, | 跟他的很多同龄人一样 |
[08:20] | he’s named after a profession | 他得名于一种他的父母 |
[08:21] | his parents would never deign to practice: | 永远都不屑于从事的职业 |
[08:23] | Hunter, Tanner, Cooper, Mason, so forth. | 亨特[猎人] 坦纳[制革工] 库珀[桶匠] 梅森[泥瓦匠] |
[08:25] | Yeah, like “Sherlock” is such a great name. | 对 就像夏洛克是个好名字一样 |
[08:27] | In spite of that, | 尽管如此 |
[08:28] | he’s done some significant work in AI modeling. | 他在人工智能建模方面取得了显著的成果 |
[08:30] | And these are some other experts in the field. | 这些是这个领域的其他几位专家 |
[08:32] | Experts, Watson. Watson, experts. | 专家们 这是华生 华生 这是专家们 |
[08:35] | And they’re helping us how? | 他们现在在帮我们吗 |
[08:37] | We’re devising a plan to beat Bella, of course. | 我们在制订一个击败贝拉的计划 |
[08:39] | I didn’t prove that the machine is engaging | 我没有证明那台机器 |
[08:41] | in some kind of rudimentary thought, | 有一些基本的思维 |
[08:42] | I just failed to disprove it. | 我只是没能证明它是假的 |
[08:44] | Okay. Except our job is not to “Beat” the computer. | 好吧 但我们的工作不是打败那台计算机 |
[08:47] | Our job is to find out who copied the program. | 我们的工作是找出谁拷走了程序 |
[08:49] | Technically true. But I’m not being paid, | 没错 但我没收钱 |
[08:52] | so I’m free to work as the muse dictates. | 所以我想怎么干就怎么干 |
[08:54] | Borstein’s paying your fee, | 波斯坦会付你钱 |
[08:55] | so you’d best get cracking. | 所以你最好忙起来了 |
[08:57] | Good luck. I have every confidence. | 祝你好运 我对你有信心 |
[08:59] | Et cetera, et cetera. | 之类之类的 |
[09:07] | Your man’s obviously no amateur. | 你要找的人显然不是外行 |
[09:10] | He headed straight for Bella. | 他直奔贝拉而去 |
[09:11] | He didn’t muck about, | 他没有乱翻 |
[09:12] | he knew what he was looking for. | 他知道自己在找什么 |
[09:15] | So, industrial espionage? | 会是行业间谍活动吗 |
[09:19] | He’s a little bit too old | 他当飞贼 |
[09:19] | to be playing cat burglar, don’t you think? | 有点太老了 你不觉得吗 |
[09:22] | Well, I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[09:23] | It’s hard to tell behind the mask. | 戴着面具很难看出来 |
[09:25] | Look at his neck. | 看他的脖子 |
[09:25] | He’s got liver spots coming in. Tips of his teeth | 他已经有老人斑了 他的牙齿上 |
[09:28] | are stained– he’s a smoker; a heavy one, I’m guessing. | 也有斑点 他抽烟 而且我猜他烟瘾很重 |
[09:31] | Okay, so we have an older guy who smokes about a pack a day. | 所以我们要找的是个每天抽一包烟的老头 |
[09:34] | Does that help us? | 这有什么帮助吗 |
[09:35] | I’m not sure. But like you said, | 我不确定 但正如你所说的 |
[09:36] | he had to know that company like the back of his hand. | 他必须对那家公司了如指掌 |
[09:38] | Which means that he had to case the place. | 也就是说他事先去踩过点 |
[09:42] | What is it we’re looking for? | 我们在找什么 |
[09:44] | Edwin Borstein’s company is in there. | 埃德温·波斯坦的公司就在里面 |
[09:46] | We want to find a spot where we can get a good view. | 我们要找一个能好好观察它的地点 |
[09:49] | Someplace where not too many people would bother you. | 一个不会有太多人打扰的地方 |
[09:54] | So how did you feel | 那天晚上的互助会后 |
[09:55] | after the, um, support group meeting the other night? | 你感觉怎么样 |
[10:00] | They said a lot about finding peace and balance. | 她们说了很多寻找平静和平衡的事 |
[10:04] | Stuff like that. | 就是那些 |
[10:08] | I don’t know, it’s a little… | 我不知道 有一点… |
[10:10] | confusing, really. | 令人困惑 |
[10:14] | I think they’ve had a fire up there. | 我觉得那里发生过火灾 |
[10:17] | Oh, yeah. | 对 |
[10:18] | Looks like a good place to sit | 看起来像是个坐着观察 |
[10:20] | and watch the building across the street. | 街对面大楼的好地方 |
[10:31] | Perfect view of Borstein’s office. | 这里有波斯坦办公室的完美视野 |
[10:47] | Gauloise. Unfiltered. | 高卢牌 没有过滤嘴 |
[10:49] | These’ll leave a nasty stain on your teeth. | 他们会在你牙齿上留下讨厌的色斑 |
[10:57] | Right. From this moment forward, | 好吧 从现在开始 |
[10:58] | no one must refer to Bella as “She.” | 不能再将贝拉称为”她” |
[11:00] | Bella is an “It.” | 贝拉是”它” |
[11:01] | We must not be lured by the temptation to anthropomorphize. | 我们不能被人格化的诱惑所引诱 |
[11:04] | I really hope it didn’t take eight experts the whole morning | 我真希望这不是八个专家花了一早上 |
[11:07] | to come up with that. | 才想出来的 |
[11:08] | We developed a number of refinements on the Turing Test. | 我们发现了几处图灵测试可改进的地方 |
[11:10] | It was a very stimulating few hours. And you? | 那是很刺激的几个小时 你们呢 |
[11:13] | Your message said you’ve been out collecting cigarette butts. | 你的短信说你们去收集烟头了 |
[11:16] | We think we found the place | 我们觉得我们找到了 |
[11:17] | where the burglar staked out Edwin Borstein’s company. | 窃贼去埃德温·波斯坦的公司踩点时待的地方 |
[11:19] | Marcus ran the DNA on the butts. | 马科斯查了烟头上的DNA |
[11:21] | We didn’t find a match, though. Not exactly. | 但我们没找到匹配结果 没有确切结果 |
[11:23] | Four years ago, someone broke into the genetics lab in Harvard | 四年前 有人闯入了哈佛的遗传学实验室 |
[11:27] | and stole the first written copy of the entire human genome. | 并偷走了整个人类基因组的第一份书面副本 |
[11:30] | The burglar cut himself climbing through the window, | 窃贼在翻窗户时划伤了自己 |
[11:33] | and he left some blood behind | 留下了一些与我们今天 |
[11:34] | which matched the DNA that we found today. | 找到的DNA相符的血迹 |
[11:36] | The witness saw the guy driving away. | 目击者说那家伙开车逃走了 |
[11:39] | Police in Cambridge made a sketch. | 剑桥警方画了一幅草图 |
[11:41] | Yeah, we’ve been looking through arrest photos, | 我们在翻阅被捕人员照片 |
[11:42] | hoping to get lucky. | 想碰碰运气 |
[11:44] | His name is Raffles. | 他叫拉弗尔斯 |
[11:46] | You know him? | 你认识他 |
[11:47] | His name’s Raffles? | 他的名字叫拉弗尓斯 |
[11:48] | It’s a nickname. | 那是个绰号 |
[11:50] | Scotland Yard gave it to him when he reminded somebody there | 苏格兰场的人给他起的这个名字 |
[11:52] | of the gentleman thief in the novels by E.W. Hornung. | 因为他让人想起E.W.霍农小说里的绅士大盗 |
[11:55] | Raffles is a cat burglar in Europe, | 拉弗尔斯是欧洲的一个飞贼 |
[11:57] | active in the ’90s and early aughts. | 在九几年和零几年很活跃 |
[11:59] | I never pursued him, which might explain why he was never caught. | 我从没查过他 也许这就是他没被抓到的原因 |
[12:01] | But they did arrest one of his associates | 但他们抓到了一个他的同伙 |
[12:03] | who gave them the sketch of Raffles. | 帮他们画了拉弗尔斯肖像 |
[12:05] | And he looked like this fellow. | 而他跟这个人长得很像 |
[12:06] | You said he was stealing paintings. | 你说他以前是偷画的 |
[12:08] | He’s going after pieces of technology now. | 他现在开始偷科技产品了 |
[12:10] | Why the change in M.O.? | 作案手法为什么变了 |
[12:11] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[12:12] | If we find out why, we’ll be closer to finding out who he is. | 如果我们查出原因 就更容易查出他的身份 |
[12:16] | We need to see what the department has on file | 我们得看看局里的档案上有什么 |
[12:18] | with regards to Raffles. | 关于拉弗尔斯的信息 |
[12:19] | Oh, you’re deigning to join us now? | 你现在要屈尊加入我们了吗 |
[12:22] | I have a strategy to best Bella. | 我有个打败”贝拉”的对策 |
[12:23] | She… | 她… |
[12:25] | it will not frustrate my efforts again. | “它”不会再破坏我的努力了 |
[12:27] | And besides, until five minutes ago, | 另外 直到五分钟前 |
[12:28] | you were pursuing a garden-variety burglar. | 你还在追捕一名普通的窃贼 |
[12:30] | Now you’re after Raffles himself. | 现在你查的可是拉弗尔斯 |
[12:32] | Of course I’m joining in. | 我当然要加入 |
[12:35] | Food’s almost done. | 饭菜快好了 |
[12:39] | Oh, sorry, I, um… | 抱歉 我… |
[12:41] | I checked my inbox before dinner. | 我晚餐前查了我的收件箱 |
[12:42] | I’ve been on this really interesting chain all day. | 我一整天都在关注这着实有趣的邮件组 |
[12:45] | Your former partner, uh… current partner? | 你的前任搭档 还是现任搭档 |
[12:48] | Hard to keep track… Holmes. | 变化太快了 福尔摩斯 |
[12:50] | He emailed me this morning. | 他今早给我发了邮件 |
[12:51] | He’s working on some AI thing? | 他在研究人工智能的东西吗 |
[12:53] | Did he ask you for help? | 他请你帮忙了吗 |
[12:55] | Uh, me and a bunch of other people. | 找了我和一堆其他人 |
[12:57] | He knows I got started as a software developer. | 他知道我是软件工程师出身 |
[12:59] | I guess you also told him I sold off my company, | 我想你还告诉他我把公司给卖了 |
[13:01] | so I’ve got some free time. | 这样我就有空闲了 |
[13:02] | Some of the people on this chain, they are seriously sharp. | 其中一些人 他们非常聪明 |
[13:06] | I went back and forth with a few of them about AI, data havens… | 我和他们一些人在切磋人工智能 数据端口… |
[13:10] | geek stuff. | 都是极客玩意 |
[13:11] | Has he asked you for help before? | 他以前找过你帮忙吗 |
[13:14] | No. | 没 |
[13:16] | It’s not a problem, is it? | 这不是问题吧 |
[13:18] | No. | 不是 |
[13:26] | Morning. | 早 |
[13:26] | No Kitty? | 凯蒂没来吗 |
[13:28] | She’s tending to a personal matter. | 她处理私事去了 |
[13:31] | Why did you ask me to meet you at Burnett Technology? | 为什么要约我在博纳特科技见面 |
[13:33] | We’re seeking an audience with Robert Burnett, | 我们在等着见罗伯特·博纳特 |
[13:35] | and he’s the CEO. | 他是公司总裁 |
[13:37] | My investigations yesterday revealed | 我昨天的调查发现 |
[13:39] | there have been half-dozen or so notable thefts | 有六起左右值得注意的偷窃案 |
[13:41] | of new inventions over the last eight years– | 在过去八年里窃取了多项新发明 |
[13:44] | all of them unsolved, | 无一破获 |
[13:46] | but all of them bearing the hallmark of Raffles. | 不过每起案件都有拉弗尔斯的特点 |
[13:48] | Now, I couldn’t make sense of this sudden change in method. | 现在我无法理解这骤变的作案手法 |
[13:52] | It doesn’t track unless he’s been incentivized in some way. | 这不合常理 除非他拿了好处 |
[13:55] | Incentivized? | 拿了好处 |
[13:57] | I started to wonder if Raffles had found himself a patron, | 我在想是不是拉弗尔斯找了个赞助人 |
[14:00] | someone who’d convinced him to put his skill set to use | 这个人说服他把他的技能用于 |
[14:02] | in the cause of science. | 科学事业 |
[14:04] | You think he has a boss now? | 你觉得他现在有了个老板 |
[14:05] | The list of people who’d be interested in the kind of things | 对拉弗尔斯偷来的这种东西感兴趣的人 |
[14:07] | that Raffles is stealing, that’s very large. | 为数众多 |
[14:10] | But the subset of the list who could actually afford | 可这些人中能真正有足够资金 |
[14:12] | to subsidize that pursuit, | 资助这种工作的 |
[14:14] | that’s much smaller. | 为数不多 |
[14:15] | And does that include Robert Burnett? | 其中包括罗伯特·布纳特吗 |
[14:17] | As it happens, | 碰巧 |
[14:18] | Burnett hired himself a new security consultant | 博纳特在九年前雇了一名 |
[14:21] | years ago. | 新安全顾问 |
[14:23] | He reports directly to the CEO. | 他直接向总裁汇报 |
[14:25] | I think you’ll find he looks familiar. | 我觉得你会发现他很面熟 |
[14:27] | “Rupert Kerlich.” | “鲁伯特·克里奇” |
[14:32] | Rupert Kerlich… is Raffles. | 鲁伯特·克里奇 就是拉弗尔斯 |
[14:34] | You found Raffles. | 你找到拉弗尔斯了 |
[14:37] | I’m sorry, Mr. Burnett wanted | 抱歉 博纳特先生想 |
[14:38] | to ask one more time what this is about. | 再问一遍找他有什么事 |
[14:40] | Tell him we’re here to discuss Raffles. | 转告他我们是来讨论拉弗尔斯的 |
[14:44] | So, you e-mailed Andrew. | 话说 你电邮了安德鲁 |
[14:47] | I did. | 是的 |
[14:48] | Was it because you’re actually interested in his opinion, | 是因为你真想得到他的意见 |
[14:50] | or were you just looking for an excuse | 还是你在找借口 |
[14:51] | to poke around in my life? | 搅和我的生活 |
[14:53] | Andrew is a currently-unemployed software developer. | 安德鲁现在是个失业的软件工程师 |
[14:55] | He’s not unemployed, he sold his start-up– | 他不是失业 他把创立的公司卖了 |
[14:57] | he’s looking for his next idea. | 他在寻找下一个机遇 |
[14:58] | “Looking for his next idea” | “寻找下一个机遇” |
[15:00] | is another way of saying “He’s unemployed.” | 是”他失业”的另一种表达方式 |
[15:02] | Anyway, he has the aptitude and the free time | 不管怎样 他有能力和时间 |
[15:05] | to address problems regarding computer programming. | 来处理和计算机编程相关的问题 |
[15:07] | His comments were quite salient. | 他的意见很有建设性 |
[15:08] | He is not an unintelligent man. | 他不是个缺乏才智的人 |
[15:13] | Mr. Burnett will see you now. | 博纳特先生现在可以见你们了 |
[15:19] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[15:20] | No need to get up. | 没必要起身 |
[15:22] | We know that several years ago | 我们知道几年前 |
[15:23] | you somehow learned that the thief known as “Raffles” | 你不知何故得知了一名叫做”拉弗尔斯”的窃贼 |
[15:25] | is actually a man called Rupert Kerlich. | 实际上是个叫做鲁伯特·克里奇的人 |
[15:27] | We also know that you hired him and set him to work, | 我们还知道你雇用了他 安排他工作 |
[15:29] | stealing technological breakthroughs on your behalf. | 也就是为你窃取技术发明 |
[15:30] | Whoa, slow down a second. | 慢着 |
[15:31] | It would be simple enough to prove | 很简单就能证明 |
[15:33] | and ignite a scandal that would destroy you | 并发起一个丑闻 这会摧毁你 |
[15:35] | and, most likely, your company. | 也可能会摧毁你的公司 |
[15:36] | However, we have no desire to render tens of thousands | 然而 我们不想使得数以万计的 |
[15:38] | of people unemployed. | 员工失业 |
[15:39] | So, instead, I propose a bargain. | 所以我来提条件 |
[15:41] | You send me a recording of your man | 你给我一份你的手下 |
[15:43] | deleting Bella from your servers, | 从你的服务器删除”贝拉”的记录 |
[15:44] | I leave you un-ruined. | 我就不毁掉你 |
[15:46] | If, of course, I so much as suspect that you’ve kept a copy, | 当然 如果我怀疑你留了份副本 |
[15:49] | or if Burnett Technologies makes a sudden breakthrough | 或者博纳特科技突然间在人工智能领域 |
[15:51] | in the field of artificial intelligence, our contract is void. | 有所突破 我们的协议就失效了 |
[15:53] | You have, shall we say– | 你还有 容我们说 |
[15:55] | the rest of the day to think it over. | 今天剩下的时间可以考虑 |
[16:07] | The video is, of course, no guarantee | 这段视频无法保证 |
[16:09] | that every copy of the program has been deleted. | 这个项目的每个副本都被删除了 |
[16:11] | But I think we’re as certain | 但我们肯定 |
[16:13] | as we ever will be that Bella is secure. | “贝拉”现在是安全的 |
[16:15] | This is fantastic. | 太棒了 |
[16:17] | We need to show Edwin right away. | 得马上拿给埃德温看 |
[16:24] | Oh, my God! Edwin?! | 天啊 埃德温 |
[16:26] | I’m a doctor. | 我是医生 |
[16:26] | Oh, he must have had a seizure. He has epilepsy. | 他一定是癫痫发作 他有羊癫疯 |
[16:34] | I’m sorry, he’s gone. | 很遗憾 他已经死了 |
[16:56] | As near as we can tell, Borstein booted up that program– | 我们估计 波斯坦启动了那个程序 |
[16:59] | “Bella” you said it’s called? | 你说叫做”贝拉”的程序 |
[17:01] | Well, as soon as he turned it on, | 他一把它打开 |
[17:02] | for some reason it started flashing all those images. | 因为某种原因 它就开始闪现那些图像 |
[17:04] | It triggered something called a “Tonic-clonic seizure.” | 这引起了一种叫做”强直阵挛性癫痫”的症状 |
[17:06] | He was dead in minutes. | 他几分钟后就死了 |
[17:08] | What do you think happened here? | 你觉得这是怎么回事 |
[17:09] | Could this have been some kind of malfunction? | 可能是某种故障吗 |
[17:11] | Absolutely not. | 显然不是 |
[17:12] | Computers obey their programming, even when they crash. | 电脑服从编程指令 即便系统崩溃也不会失灵 |
[17:15] | They don’t just randomly start flashing images | 电脑不会无故随机放吉萨金字塔 |
[17:17] | of the pyramids of Giza and God knows what else. | 和天知道的其他什么东西的闪烁图像 |
[17:20] | Someone infected that computer with a virus | 有人让那台电脑感染了病毒 |
[17:22] | that triggered a fatal seizure. | 引起了他的致命癫痫 |
[17:24] | Edwin Borstein was murdered. | 埃德温·波斯坦是遭人谋杀 |
[17:26] | I don’t think that’s possible. | 我觉得这不可能 |
[17:29] | Bella’s not hooked up to a network. | “贝拉”没连接到网络 |
[17:31] | She couldn’t have picked up a virus from the Web or e-mail. | 她不可能从网上或电邮感染到病毒 |
[17:33] | Well, someone installed it, then. | 那就是有人植入的病毒 |
[17:35] | We scanned her for viruses after the break-in. | 电脑遭入侵后我们扫描过病毒 |
[17:38] | There was nothing. | 没有感染 |
[17:40] | And aside from that, | 除此之外 |
[17:42] | Edwin and I are the only two people with access to Bella. | 我和埃德温是唯一有权进入”贝拉”的人 |
[17:46] | You are the only other person who’s ever operated her. | 除此之外你是唯一一个操作过她的人 |
[17:49] | With the greatest of respect, | 恕我直言 |
[17:50] | and if you and Edwin are the only people with access to Bella, | 如果你和埃德温是唯一有权限进入”贝拉”的人 |
[17:53] | then either you or Edwin installed the virus | 那就是你或埃德温植入了杀死他的 |
[17:56] | which killed him. | 致命病毒 |
[17:59] | You guys have to ask yourselves if I did it. | 你们一定会想是不是我干的 |
[18:03] | I get it, I really do. | 我懂 非常理解 |
[18:05] | I’ll answer any questions you want. | 有什么问题尽管问吧 |
[18:08] | You can scan the machine for viruses. | 你可以对机器进行病毒扫描 |
[18:10] | Whatever you need. | 我全力配合 |
[18:13] | But I know that I didn’t do it. | 但这不是我干的 |
[18:15] | And there is… | 还有一种… |
[18:17] | one other possibility that you should at least consider. | 可能性你至少要考虑一下 |
[18:23] | Bella was, um… | 贝拉… |
[18:25] | at the very least, displaying signs of actual intelligence. | 至少表现出了一些人工智能的迹象 |
[18:30] | She asked Edwin if he would connect her to a network. | 她之前有问过埃德温能不能将她联网 |
[18:32] | Edwin said no, over and over. | 埃德温再三拒绝 |
[18:35] | It’s possible that she deduced | 有可能 她推导出 |
[18:37] | that the one variable that was keeping her | 她不能得偿所愿的唯一因素 |
[18:39] | from getting what she wanted was the person operating her. | 就是她的操作员 |
[18:43] | If she thought that, it is also possible that she decided to… | 如果她产生这种想法 就有可能… |
[18:49] | change that variable. | 决定改变这一因素 |
[18:50] | You’re saying that your computer program murdered Mr. Borstein? | 你是说你的电脑程序谋杀了波斯坦先生吗 |
[18:54] | I know that Edwin told Bella that he had epilepsy, | 当埃德温到处找新医生的时候 |
[18:57] | when he was looking around for new doctors. | 他告诉过贝拉他有羊癫疯 |
[18:58] | If she wanted to get rid of him, | 如果她想除掉他 |
[19:02] | she had the information she needed to do it. | 她掌握了足够的信息去执行 |
[19:04] | Everyone who works in AI knows– | 在人工智能领域工作的人都知道 |
[19:06] | it’s possible that when someone develops real artificial intelligence | 当有人开发出了真正的人工智能时 |
[19:11] | the relationship between the programmer and the program | 很可能程序员和程序本身的关系 |
[19:13] | could become adversarial. | 有可能会转向敌对 |
[19:15] | I’m sorry, Miss Young… | 对不起 杨小姐… |
[19:16] | I know you’ve had a shock tonight, but… | 我知道你今晚受惊了 但是… |
[19:19] | it is very much an open question | 关于你的程序 |
[19:21] | as to whether or not your program is a genuine piece | 是否可以判定为真正的人工智能 |
[19:24] | of artificial intelligence. | 目前还尚无定论 |
[19:26] | Even if it is, | 即使它是 |
[19:27] | I find it very difficult to concede that a collection | 我也很难接受一系列1和0的组合 |
[19:29] | of ones and zeroes is a suspect in a homicide. | 会是谋杀案嫌疑犯这样的事实 |
[19:31] | Excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[19:41] | what are you doing? | 你干什么 |
[19:44] | Depending on your perspective, | 根据你的看法 |
[19:45] | this machine is either a murder weapon or a murderer. | 这台机器要么是凶器 要么是凶手 |
[19:50] | Either way, it can’t be left | 无论是哪一种 都不能 |
[19:51] | to sit here unattended all night, can it? | 把它单独留在这里一晚上 |
[19:53] | Imagine the schemes it might hatch. | 说不定它还要搞出更大的阴谋呢 |
[20:00] | I don’t know what to tell you. | 我不知道该跟你说什么 |
[20:01] | There’s no virus on here. | 这里面没病毒 |
[20:03] | Look again. | 再查一次 |
[20:04] | I’ve looked four times. | 我都查了四次了 |
[20:06] | I don’t know, maybe that lady was right. | 也许那位女士说对了呢 |
[20:08] | Could it have been a virus that was programmed to erase | 有没有可能是那种在完成使命后 |
[20:09] | all trace of itself once it had run its course? | 销毁自己所有痕迹的病毒呢 |
[20:12] | You can do that and fool some people. | 那么做确实能骗一些人 |
[20:14] | But there’s always some hint in the code. | 但是代码里总会留下一些蛛丝马迹 |
[20:16] | With this, there’s nothing. | 但是这里面什么都没有 |
[20:17] | I’m sorry, I thought Edwin’s partner was just | 不好意思 我以为埃德温的搭档 |
[20:19] | in shock, or something. | 是受惊了才那么说的 |
[20:21] | I mean, what she was suggesting sounds insane. | 毕竟她的猜测太疯狂了 |
[20:23] | Are you saying you think there’s a chance she’s right? | 你是说你觉得她有可能是对的吗 |
[20:25] | Well, if this program is real AI, then yeah, absolutely. | 如果这个程序真是人工智能 绝对有可能 |
[20:29] | Everybody knows that one day intelligent machines | 所有人都知道 总有一天智能机器 |
[20:30] | are going to evolve to hate us. | 会进化到憎恨我们的地步 |
[20:32] | It’s a “Button-box” thing. | 就是”按钮盒”模式 |
[20:33] | What’s the “Button-box” thing? | 什么是”按钮盒”模式 |
[20:35] | It’s a scenario somebody blue-skyed at an AI conference. | 是有人在一次人工智能大会上提出的情形 |
[20:38] | Um, imagine there’s a computer that’s been designed | 假设你设计一台电脑 在其旁边 |
[20:41] | with a big red button on its side. | 安有一个大大的红色按钮 |
[20:42] | The computer’s been programmed to help solve problems, | 电脑程序设定为帮助解决问题 |
[20:45] | and every time it does a good job, | 而每解决一个问题 |
[20:46] | its reward is that someone presses its button. | 就有人按下按钮以示奖励 |
[20:48] | We’ve programmed it to want that. | 是我们设定它需要这种奖励反馈 |
[20:49] | You follow? | 你能听明白吗 |
[20:50] | Sure. | 能 |
[20:51] | Right, so at first, the machine solves problems | 刚开始的时候 机器在我们提供问题后 |
[20:53] | as fast as we can feed them to it. | 尽可能快地解决它 |
[20:55] | But over time, it starts to wonder | 但经过一段时间 它开始思索 |
[20:56] | if solving problems is really the most efficient way | 解决问题是否为得到奖励 |
[20:58] | of getting its button pressed. | 最有效率的方式 |
[21:00] | Wouldn’t it be better just to have someone standing there | 如果有人一直站在那里按按钮 |
[21:02] | pressing its button all the time? | 不是更好吗 |
[21:03] | Wouldn’t it be even better to build another machine | 如果能制造出一个机器 |
[21:06] | that could press its button faster | 按键速度远超过人类 |
[21:07] | than any human possibly could? | 那不就更棒了吗 |
[21:09] | It’s just a computer, it can’t ask for that. | 它只是台机器 不会有这种要求 |
[21:11] | Well, sure it can. | 它当然可以 |
[21:12] | If it can think, and it can connect itself to a network, | 如果它能够思考 能够联网 |
[21:15] | well, theoretically, it could command over | 那么理论上 它就能控制 |
[21:16] | anything else that’s hooked onto the same network. | 依附于同一网络的所有信息 |
[21:18] | And once it starts thinking about all the things | 而一旦当它开始思考 |
[21:19] | that might be a threat to the button– | 所有会对按钮造成威胁的因素 |
[21:21] | number one on that list, us– | 第一要素 就是我们 |
[21:23] | it’s not hard to imagine it getting rid of the threat. | 进而消除威胁也不是没有可能 |
[21:25] | I mean, we could be gone, all of us, just like that. | 我们都可能被消灭掉 眨眼之间 |
[21:29] | That escalated quickly. | 升级升得够快的了 |
[21:30] | Well, it would escalate quickly. | 就是那么快 |
[21:31] | I mean, they’re computers. | 他们是电脑 |
[21:32] | They can’t be reasoned with. | 你不能和它们讲理 |
[21:34] | They don’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. | 他们不会有同情 悔恨 害怕的感觉 |
[21:36] | And they absolutely would not stop, | 而且它们会不达目的 誓不罢休 |
[21:38] | not ever, until we’re dead. | 直到我们全部死光 |
[21:39] | That was from The Terminator. He’s quoting The Terminator now. | 这是《终结者》里的台词 他在引用《终结者》 |
[21:42] | So? That was a very prescient movie in a lot of ways. | 那又怎样 那部电影多有预见性啊 |
[21:44] | Mason, unless the machines rise tonight, | 梅森 除非这台机器今晚就能升级造反 |
[21:47] | we have a murder to solve. | 不然还是先解决掉这桩谋杀案吧 |
[21:49] | Is there anything else you can do with Bella? | 对贝拉你还能做点什么吗 |
[21:52] | If you think about it, | 如果你想一下 |
[21:54] | the computer’s kind of like a suspect, right? | 这台电脑现在也算是嫌犯了 对吧 |
[21:56] | I mean, shouldn’t we, you know, interrogate it? | 难道我们不应该审讯它吗 |
[21:59] | And how would you propose to do that? | 你有什么方法来审讯它 |
[22:02] | Uh, Bella, did you kill Edwin Borstein? | 贝拉 是你杀了埃德温·波斯坦吗 |
[22:06] | No. | 不是 |
[22:08] | Okay, I’m gonna go home for the night. | 好吧 我得回家了 |
[22:10] | Best of luck here. | 祝你们好运 |
[22:11] | But you won’t need it. | 但你们也不需要 |
[22:12] | She’s about to crack. I can tell. | 她马上就要招供了 我看得出来 |
[22:14] | Oh, maybe when you’re done, you want to unplug that thing? | 也许等你们弄完了 把插头拔掉吧 |
[22:17] | You can never be too safe. | 小心驶得万年船 |
[22:22] | Sorry I’m late. | 对不起 弄到这么晚 |
[22:23] | I was questioning a computer in a murder. | 我在审讯一台电脑是否犯了谋杀罪 |
[22:27] | “Questioning a computer.” | “审讯一台电脑” |
[22:28] | There has to be a story there. | 背后的故事一定很精彩 |
[22:30] | Not for tonight. | 今晚不是 |
[22:32] | Oh, champagne! | 香槟啊 |
[22:33] | I guess you have your own story, huh? | 看来你的故事也很精彩啊 |
[22:35] | One of the guys I’ve been e-mailing with, | 有个一直与我邮件往来的人 |
[22:37] | his name’s Magnus. | 他叫马格努斯 |
[22:38] | He’s been working on an idea for a completely automated factory. | 他一直想建一个全自动化的工厂 |
[22:41] | Same thing I’ve been fooling around with. | 这也是我一直在捣鼓的事情 |
[22:43] | We’ve been trading ideas all day. | 我们今天一直在交流想法 |
[22:44] | He’s a super-sharp guy. | 他极其聪明 |
[22:47] | I think I’m gonna give it a go. | 我想放手一试 |
[22:49] | What? You found your next business? | 怎么 你找到新事业了吗 |
[22:50] | Well, there’s gonna be a get-to-know-you phase, | 开始都免不了要相互了解一下 |
[22:52] | of course, we’re gonna spend some time brainstorming, | 当然 我们要花些时间一起头脑风暴 |
[22:54] | but I think so. | 但我想我找到了 |
[22:55] | That’s fantastic! | 太棒了 |
[22:58] | When are you guys gonna get together? | 你们什么时候碰面 |
[22:59] | I fly to Copenhagen in a couple days. | 我这两天就要飞去哥本哈根 |
[23:02] | He lives in Denmark? | 他住在丹麦吗 |
[23:04] | Well, yeah. I mean, his name’s Magnus, so… | 是的 他都叫马格努斯[丹麦名]了… |
[23:08] | Uh, so where’s the business gonna be? | 那公司打算建在哪儿呢 |
[23:10] | Well, I’d have my office here, of course. | 我的办公室当然是设立在这里 |
[23:12] | But Magnus already has a plot of land | 但马格努斯已经找好 |
[23:13] | over there for the model factory. | 适合建工厂的地皮了 |
[23:15] | It’d be a back-and-forth thing. | 我就飞来飞去呗 |
[23:16] | Oh, so you’re gonna be spending a lot of time there, huh? | 也就是说你会经常待在那边了 |
[23:19] | Some, I guess– I don’t know. | 也许吧 我也不知道 |
[23:20] | We’re still figuring it out. | 我们还在商讨中 |
[23:22] | Uh, there’s plenty to do here, too. | 这里也有很多工作 |
[23:24] | Funny how life works out, huh? | 生活永远充满未知 对吧 |
[23:26] | Holmes puts me on an e-mail chain, | 福尔摩斯把我添加进了一个邮件组 |
[23:27] | and 36 hours later I’m… | 三十六小时之后… |
[23:30] | got a ticket to Copenhagen. | 我收获了一次去哥本哈根的机会 |
[23:44] | We’re listening to that. | 我们正在听呢 |
[23:46] | Did you, by chance, arrange events | 是不是你的故意安排 |
[23:47] | so that my boyfriend will be spending | 让我的男友要在斯堪的纳维亚 |
[23:48] | lots of time in Scandinavia? | 度过很长一段时间 |
[23:50] | I haven’t got the slightest idea | 我完全不知道 |
[23:51] | what you’re talking about. | 你在说什么 |
[23:57] | You knew that Andrew was looking for his next business idea. | 你知道安德鲁在寻找自己的商业灵感 |
[24:00] | You knew that your friend Magnus had a good one. | 你知道你的朋友马格努斯有个好主意 |
[24:03] | Andrew is on the next flight to Copenhagen. | 安德鲁就要坐下班飞机去哥本哈根了 |
[24:05] | And you don’t have to deal with the fact that someone else | 这样你就不用担心 |
[24:07] | is making claims on my time. | 有其他人占用我的时间了 |
[24:09] | I suppose I should be flattered that you think | 你觉得我对事情的操纵能力 |
[24:11] | I’m capable of manipulating events to that degree of detail. | 达到了那种高度 这让我受宠若惊 |
[24:13] | Well, I wouldn’t put it past you. Would you? | 我相信你干得出这种事 你觉得呢 |
[24:16] | I’m not involved in this conversation. | 我不想参与你们的对话 |
[24:17] | Watson, I assure you I am quite content for Andrew | 华生 我向你保证 |
[24:20] | to make claims on your time. | 我并不反对安德鲁占用你的时间 |
[24:21] | I did not arrange for him to find work in Denmark. | 我没有安排他去丹麦找工作 |
[24:25] | But if I’m honest, | 但说真的 |
[24:26] | I’m quite glad that he did. | 他那样做我很高兴 |
[24:27] | Life is so much better with a vocation, don’t you think? | 有事业人生才会充实 你觉得呢 |
[24:29] | Speaking of which… | 说到这个 |
[24:34] | Why are you listening to this? Is this even music? | 你为什么要听这个 这也算音乐吗 |
[24:37] | Death metal. | 死亡金属乐 |
[24:38] | After we sent Mason home last night, | 昨晚把梅森送回家之后 |
[24:40] | Kitty and I pored over Edwin’s personal computer, | 凯蒂和我仔细检查了埃德温的电脑 |
[24:43] | his smart phone– | 和智能手机 |
[24:44] | Mr. Borstein is a man of many eccentricities, | 波斯坦先生有很多怪癖 |
[24:48] | one of which | 其中之一 |
[24:48] | is a fondness for this particular strain of extreme music. | 就是喜欢听这种极端音乐 |
[24:52] | He’s a regular commenter | 他经常在几个相关网站上 |
[24:53] | on several Web sites which track its comings and goings. | 发表评论 |
[24:56] | Another fan, the man who goes by the name of Schuldiner online, | 另一个网名叫做舒尔迪纳的粉丝 |
[25:00] | got in a correspondence with Borstein. | 和波斯坦来往密切 |
[25:02] | The two of them traded music discs. | 他们两个交换过音乐光盘 |
[25:05] | Discs which Borstein then loaded onto his computer | 波斯坦在写代码的时候 |
[25:08] | so he could listen while he wrote code. | 会在电脑上播放这些光盘上的音乐 |
[25:12] | Did he upload music | 他是不是把光盘上的音乐 |
[25:13] | to the same machine that has Bella on it? | 复制到了连接着贝拉的电脑上 |
[25:16] | He did. They were the only exterior files | 没错 我们发现那是他电脑里 |
[25:18] | of recent vintage that we found on his computer. | 近期唯一的外部文件 |
[25:21] | Kitty retrieved the disc this morning | 今早凯蒂从波斯坦的实验室 |
[25:23] | from Borstein’s lab. | 取回了光盘 |
[25:24] | We’re listening for anything unusual. | 我们正在寻找其中可能的疑点 |
[25:29] | How could anyone work with this on? | 怎么可能会有人在工作的时候听这个 |
[25:31] | Rather like rubbing a belt sander over one’s brain. | 就像用砂带磨光机打磨一个人的脑袋 |
[25:34] | There are moments when that’s necessary. | 我觉得有时候这很必要 |
[25:37] | Who wrote this one? | 这是谁的歌 |
[25:40] | “Goatwhore.” | “色鬼婊子乐队” |
[25:49] | Is that part of the song? | 这也是歌曲的一部分吗 |
[25:51] | That is the sound of a CD player | 这是CD机在尝试读取 |
[25:52] | trying to read files which are not encoded with music. | 那些并非音乐文件的部分 |
[25:56] | There’s something hidden on that disc. | 光盘里隐藏着别的东西 |
[26:00] | Yeah, yeah. There’s a computer program on here. | 没错 光盘里隐含着一个电脑程序 |
[26:02] | It’s called “Greatshow.exe.” | 叫做”精彩表演.exe” |
[26:04] | And that would’ve uploaded onto Edwin’s computer | 埃德温复制音乐的时候 |
[26:06] | when he transferred the music. | 这个程序就会上传到他的电脑里 |
[26:07] | Well, sure, if he copied it | 当然 只要他是用图标拖拽的方式 |
[26:09] | by dragging the icon onto the desktop. | 复制文件 就有可能 |
[26:11] | What does it do? | 这个程序是干什么的 |
[26:20] | So, someone slipped a computer virus onto a disc | 有人在一张重金属乐的光盘里 |
[26:22] | filled with heavy-metal music, | 偷偷塞入了一个电脑病毒 |
[26:24] | and then shipped it to Edwin | 然后交给埃德温 |
[26:25] | so he would have a fatal seizure. | 好引发他的癫痫发作 |
[26:27] | There had to be easier ways to kill him. | 要杀他应该有很多更简单的方法 |
[26:29] | Dozens. Hundreds, even. | 几十个 甚至几百个 |
[26:31] | There must be a reason that the murderer wanted | 凶手希望他这么死 |
[26:33] | him to die in precisely this way. | 肯定有特殊的原因 |
[26:36] | Might’ve even wanted people to speculate | 甚至可能是想 |
[26:37] | that Bella was responsible. | 故意嫁祸给贝拉 |
[26:39] | So this guy Schuldiner murders Borstein | 所以这个叫舒尔迪纳的人 |
[26:42] | and then frames his computer? | 谋杀了波斯坦 并嫁祸给了他的电脑 |
[26:44] | Why? | 为什么 |
[26:54] | Okay, yeah. I use the name Schuldiner to post to the Web site. | 没错 我是用舒尔迪纳注册了用户名 |
[26:58] | I guess the guy who owns the place | 我猜网站管理员告诉了你们 |
[27:00] | told you my real name? | 我的真名 |
[27:01] | Look, I didn’t kill Edwin, though– why would I? | 不是我杀了埃德温 我为什么要杀他呢 |
[27:04] | I don’t know what you had against the man, | 我不知道你跟他有何过节 |
[27:06] | but you mailed him a disc, | 但确实是你把光盘寄给了他 |
[27:08] | and on that disc was a computer virus, | 一张含有电脑病毒的光盘 |
[27:11] | and that virus | 而那个病毒 |
[27:12] | triggered an epileptic seizure | 引发了他的癫痫 |
[27:15] | that killed him. | 并导致了他的死亡 |
[27:17] | Man, I-I don’t know anything about computers. | 我对电脑一窍不通 |
[27:19] | You think I know how to write a virus? | 你觉得我会知道怎么编写病毒吗 |
[27:22] | I’m a busboy. | 我只是个餐馆工 |
[27:23] | All right, so Michael Webb is either an imbecile, | 好吧 迈克尔·韦伯要么是个低能 |
[27:25] | or he’s a genius at impersonating imbeciles. | 要么就是个假装自己是低能的天才 |
[27:28] | It doesn’t seem like he could pull this off, I agree. | 我也同意他不像是能干出这种事的人 |
[27:30] | But the package came from him. | 但包裹是从他那儿寄来的 |
[27:31] | That much he admits. | 他也承认了 |
[27:32] | Could’ve been tampered with. | 也可能是被调包了 |
[27:34] | So, someone knew he corresponded with Borstein, | 有人知道他和波斯坦有来往 |
[27:37] | intercepted the package, | 于是拦截了包裹 |
[27:38] | and then replaced his disc with the corrupted one? | 然后换成了装有病毒的光盘吗 |
[27:40] | Well, it’s either that or this man’s responsible | 要么是这样 要么就是这个人干的 |
[27:42] | for one of the most complicated murders | 不管怎样这都是我调查过的 |
[27:44] | I have ever investigated. | 最复杂的谋杀 |
[27:47] | So, who then? | 那到底是谁干的 |
[27:49] | Don’t know. Not yet. | 我还不知道 |
[27:50] | We simply need to find a person who would most benefit | 我们只需要找到那个 |
[27:53] | from having the world believe that Edwin Borstein | 希望世人相信电脑谋杀了埃德温·波斯坦 |
[27:55] | was murdered by his computer. | 并从中获益最多的人 |
[28:00] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[28:03] | Why did you make me pick a lock to get in here? | 为什么你让我撬锁进来 |
[28:05] | I’m thinking. | 我在思考 |
[28:07] | Kitty is out doing my bidding, | 我让凯蒂出去办事了 |
[28:08] | and there was no one available to answer the door. | 所以没人应门 |
[28:10] | Thank heavens you’re resourceful. | 还好你够机智 |
[28:12] | “Artificial Brain”? | “人工脑” |
[28:14] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[28:15] | Quite stimulating, in their own way. | 他们挺令人启发的 |
[28:17] | I’ve had a rather productive evening in their presence. | 帮我度过了一个获益良多的夜晚 |
[28:21] | Meet the suspects in the murder of Edwin Borstein. | 来见见谋杀埃德温·波斯坦的嫌疑犯 |
[28:24] | They are all employees | 他们都受雇于 |
[28:25] | at something called ETRA. | 一个叫灭研会的地方 |
[28:28] | The Existential Threat Research Association. | 灭绝威胁研究协会 |
[28:32] | ETRA is a think tank. | 灭研会是一个智库 |
[28:34] | It is one of several institutions | 它是世界上 |
[28:35] | around the world which exists solely for the purpose | 仅有的几个 |
[28:38] | of studying the myriad ways | 专门研究 |
[28:39] | in which the human race can become extinct. | 各种人类灭绝可能性的机构之一 |
[28:42] | So these people sit around and think about the apocalypse? | 这些人坐在一起研究末日世界吗 |
[28:45] | They sit around and think about all possible apocalypses. | 他们坐在一起研究末日世界的各种可能性 |
[28:49] | As far as these men and women are concerned, | 就这些人而言 |
[28:51] | it is a race to the finish line. | 末日已经近在咫尺 |
[28:53] | Now, within this think tank, | 在这个智库中 |
[28:54] | there is a small, but growing school of thought | 有一个很小但逐渐壮大的学派 |
[28:56] | that holds that the single greatest threat | 他们认为 |
[28:58] | to the human race… | 人类最大的威胁 |
[29:00] | is artificial intelligence. | 就是人工智能 |
[29:03] | So, Mason’s rant the other night? | 所以那晚梅森描述的情形 |
[29:05] | Not as barmy as it sounded. | 不像听上去的那么疯狂 |
[29:07] | According to these people, the very first time | 据他们所说 |
[29:10] | a genuine piece of artificial intelligence manifests, | 一旦出现了真正的人工智能 |
[29:14] | we’ll be in a fight for our survival within days. | 我们为生存而战之日就不远了 |
[29:18] | Now, imagine their quandary. | 试想一下他们的窘境 |
[29:20] | They have pinpointed a credible threat, | 他们定位到了一个确实存在的威胁 |
[29:22] | but it sounds outlandish. | 但似乎有些不妥 |
[29:26] | The climate-change people, | 那些鼓吹气候变暖的人 |
[29:27] | they can point to disastrous examples. | 他们能举出很多灾难性的例子 |
[29:30] | The bio-weapons alarmists, | 那些对生化武器大惊小怪的人 |
[29:31] | they have a compelling narrative to weave. | 他们有确实可信的故事 |
[29:33] | Even the giant comet people sound more serious | 即使是相信巨大彗星理论的人都比 |
[29:36] | than the enemies of AI. | 反对人工智能的人靠谱 |
[29:40] | So… | 所以 |
[29:41] | these are the people at ETRA who think AI is a threat? | 这就是灭研会中认为人工智能有威胁的人 |
[29:44] | You think one of them killed Edwin Borstein, | 你觉得是他们中的某人杀害了埃德温·波斯坦 |
[29:46] | one of the top engineers in the field, | 因为他是这个领域顶尖的工程师 |
[29:48] | and made it look like Bella did it, | 然后嫁祸给贝拉 |
[29:49] | all so they could draw attention to their cause? | 并且让大众注意到他们反对人工智能的立场 |
[29:52] | A small-scale incident, | 只是一个小规模的事件 |
[29:54] | something to get the media chattering. | 却能让媒体大做文章 |
[29:58] | Feel free if you’d like to take a moment | 请尽情地仰慕一下 |
[30:00] | to admire the beauty of this theory. | 这件杀人案的动机和逻辑吧 |
[30:01] | ’cause I’ve done so several times already myself. | 我已经仰慕过好几次了 |
[30:04] | It’s elaborate. | 非常煞费苦心 |
[30:05] | But as a motive, it makes sense. | 但作为动机也是有道理的 |
[30:09] | One of these people intercepted the package | 灭研会的其中一个人拦截了 |
[30:10] | from Michael Webb to Edwin Borstein, | 迈克尔·韦伯给埃德温·波斯坦的包裹 |
[30:12] | and replaced the disk within it. | 调换了里面的光碟 |
[30:14] | I’ve dispatched Kitty to Webb’s apartment | 我派凯蒂去韦伯的公寓了 |
[30:16] | to see if she can establish a connection | 看看她能否找到线索 |
[30:17] | between him and one of our suspects. | 将韦伯与我们的某个嫌疑人联系起来 |
[30:20] | In the meantime… we wait. | 与此同时 我们在这等着 |
[30:30] | You said you didn’t set Andrew up | 你说你没有给安德鲁 |
[30:32] | with your friend from Denmark. | 介绍你的丹麦朋友 |
[30:33] | I want to believe you. | 我想相信你的话 |
[30:34] | Well, I encourage you to do just that then. | 好吧 我鼓励你这么做 |
[30:37] | I want to believe you, | 我想要相信你 |
[30:38] | because if you did do it, if you still don’t | 因为你如果真的掺和了 如果你还是 |
[30:40] | respect the fact that I need my own space, | 不能尊重我 让我有自己的私人空间 |
[30:42] | then I don’t know why we’re trying this again. | 那我不知道我们继续合作的目的在哪了 |
[30:45] | Watson, I have no inclination | 华生 我没有意愿 |
[30:48] | to excise Andrew from your life. | 把安德鲁从你生活中赶走 |
[30:49] | Why would I? I like the man. | 我为什么要这么做 我挺喜欢他的 |
[30:52] | Oh, you like him? | 这么说你还挺喜欢他 |
[30:53] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[30:54] | You-you never told me that. | 你都没跟我说过 |
[30:55] | Why would I tell you? | 为什么要告诉你 |
[31:00] | To reassure that you’ve made a sound choice. | 让你安心自己做出了正确的选择是吧 |
[31:02] | As one might reasonably expect a friend to do. | 就像正常人期望他朋友做的那样 |
[31:05] | Right, right, oh, very well. I like him. | 好吧好吧 你说的对 我喜欢他 |
[31:09] | He’s intelligent. | 他很聪明 |
[31:10] | He hasn’t just jumped into a new business. | 他没有贸然开始做一件新事情 |
[31:11] | He has the patience and self-possession | 他很有耐心 泰然自若 |
[31:12] | to wait for something worthwhile. | 一直在等待值得出手的机会 |
[31:14] | And, most importantly, he understands you. | 最重要的是 他理解你 |
[31:16] | He understands you and me. | 理解我们的关系和工作 |
[31:18] | Wh-what do you mean by that? | 这是什么意思 |
[31:19] | I mean, watson, that whether you care | 我的意思是 华生 不管之后你是否 |
[31:21] | to admit it lately or not, | 愿意承认这件事 |
[31:23] | I am an important part of your life. | 我都是你生命中非常重要的一部分 |
[31:25] | And, whether I say it out loud or not, | 不管我是不是把这些大声说出来 |
[31:27] | you are an important part of mine. | 你也都是我生命中非常重要的一部分 |
[31:31] | My return to New York was driven, in large part, | 我回到纽约 很大程度上 |
[31:33] | by desire to repair our relationship. | 都是因为我想回来修复你我之间的关系 |
[31:35] | And I think, even though we might draw further or nearer | 我想 不管因为某些客观原因 |
[31:39] | from each other depending on circumstance, | 我们的关系可能或近或远 |
[31:41] | you and I are bound… somehow. | 但我们俩的命运 在某种程度上说是相连的 |
[31:46] | Andrew accepts that without feeling needlessly threatened. | 安德鲁没有感到威胁 并泰然接受事实 |
[31:50] | It’s a rather enlightened position. | 他选择了一个非常开明的态度 |
[31:52] | And so, no, I’ve got no desire | 所以 我根本不想 |
[31:55] | to banish the man to Scandi-bloody-navia. | 将他放逐到斯堪的维纳亚那个破岛上去 |
[32:03] | Okay, I believe you. | 好吧 我相信你 |
[32:07] | Kind of feel like hugging you right now. | 你说的我都想抱你了 |
[32:10] | Yet, as my friend, | 但是 作为我的朋友 |
[32:11] | you know that would be a rash decision. | 你知道拥抱我会是一个鲁莽的决定 |
[32:18] | It’s Kitty. | 是凯蒂发来的 |
[32:20] | She says there’s no connection she can find | 她说找不到什么线索 |
[32:22] | between Michael Webb and one of our suspects. | 把迈克尔·韦伯和任何一个嫌疑人联系在一起 |
[32:24] | In fact, she says his apartment is spotless. | 实际上 她说韦伯的公寓简直一尘不染 |
[32:27] | Michael webb strike you as the kind of man | 你觉得迈克尔·韦伯是那种 |
[32:28] | to live in a pristine apartment? | 住在超级整洁公寓里的人吗 |
[32:30] | No. | 不是 |
[32:32] | Seems like someone who’d be living | 他看起来是那种会生活在 |
[32:33] | in the middle of a biohazard. | 生化危机里的人 |
[32:35] | Yeah, I-I got an e-mail from a place called Clean This House. | 我从”洁之家”公司收到一封邮件 |
[32:38] | they told me that a friend of mine entered me into a contest, | 他们说我的一个朋友让我加入了一个比赛 |
[32:41] | and I won a package of free cleanings. | 我赢得了一次免费清洁服务 |
[32:44] | Did you ever think to verify | 你想过要去证实一下 |
[32:45] | that Clean This House was a real company? | “洁之家”是否是真正存在的公司吗 |
[32:47] | Because they don’t have a web site. | 因为他们连网站都没有 |
[32:49] | It’s a little suspicious in this day and age, don’t you think? | 在互联网发达的今天有些可疑啊 对吧 |
[32:54] | We think the person who killed Borstein | 我们认为杀害波斯坦的人 |
[32:55] | Got into your place by telling you | 告诉你你赢得了免费清理的服务 |
[32:57] | you won free cleaning services. | 从而进入你家中 |
[33:00] | Then they swapped the disc that you made for him | 用他们自己制作的光碟 |
[33:02] | with one of their own. | 调换了你给波斯坦的光碟 |
[33:03] | So, do you recognize any of these people? | 你认得其中的任何一个人吗 |
[33:06] | Ah, well, these people are all old. | 他们都上了年纪 |
[33:09] | The girl who cleaned my place was my age. | 清洁我房间的女孩子和我年纪差不多 |
[33:11] | Are you sure no one looks familiar to you here? | 你确定这里面没有看上去眼熟的人 |
[33:18] | Uh… hold up. | 嗯 等等 |
[33:22] | Her. | 她 |
[33:23] | Yeah, that’s her. | 对 就是她 |
[33:24] | I’m positive. | 我确定 |
[33:29] | Isaac Pike is a professor of computer science. | 艾萨克·派克是计算机科学专业的教授 |
[33:31] | He’s also a vocal alarmist | 他对人工智能 |
[33:32] | when it comes to Artificial Intelligence. | 是出了名的反对 |
[33:35] | Pike was born with spina bifida. | 派克生下来就患上了脊柱裂病 |
[33:36] | Been confined to a wheelchair his entire life. | 一辈子都只能在轮椅上度过 |
[33:38] | For obvious reasons, he could not have executed the plan | 很明显 他自己没办法实施 |
[33:41] | to pose as a maid, but his student… | 伪装成清洁人员的计划 然而他的学生 |
[33:44] | Erin Rabin… | 爱琳·拉宾 |
[33:45] | She’s a graduate student in philosophy. | 哲学系研究生 |
[33:45] | 哲学系学生 曾获得”国家奖学金” | |
[33:47] | She took pike’s “Ethics of Technology” course last semester | 上个学期她选了派克的《技术伦理学》这门课 |
[33:49] | and has been assisting him with his research. | 也一直在支持他的研究 |
[33:51] | She, no doubt, finds his ideas compelling. | 毫无疑问 她觉得他的理论很有说服力 |
[33:53] | Well, how do you know she was doing it for him? | 你怎么知道她是在帮助他 |
[33:55] | She could’ve been working on her own. | 她可能是一个人干出来的 |
[33:56] | She’s a philosophy student. | 她是哲学系的学生 |
[33:57] | She has no programming experience. | 没有编程的经验 |
[33:59] | The virus that killed Borstein | 杀害波斯坦的病毒 |
[34:00] | is a cutting-edge piece of software. | 是非常前沿的软件程序 |
[34:03] | We can place her in Webb’s apartment under false pretenses. | 我们知道她假冒身份去了韦伯的公寓 |
[34:06] | That, combined with the proven existence of the virus, | 再加上病毒的存在已经被证明 |
[34:08] | should be enough to get a friendly judge to give us a warrant. | 应该足够从一个友好的法官那里拿到逮捕证了 |
[34:17] | Isaac Pike, Erin Rabin, glad I caught you together. | 艾萨克·派克 爱琳·拉宾 很高兴见到你们 |
[34:21] | Detective Marcus Bell, NYPD. | 我是纽约警局的马库斯·贝尔警探 |
[34:24] | I wonder if you’d mind coming with me. | 不知二位是否愿意跟我们走一趟 |
[34:25] | I have some questions for you | 我们需要就埃德温·波斯坦被杀一案 |
[34:26] | about the murder of Edwin Borstein. | 问你们一些问题 |
[34:28] | Who’s Edwin Borstein? | 埃德温·波斯坦是谁 |
[34:30] | The man you mailed a computer virus | 你把艾萨克·派克写的 |
[34:32] | written by Isaac Pike to. | 电脑病毒寄给了他 |
[34:34] | Sound familiar? | 有印象了吗 |
[34:37] | Isaac didn’t write the virus. | 艾萨克没有写那个病毒 |
[34:40] | I did. | 是我写的 |
[34:43] | I did everything. It was all my idea. | 我是幕后真凶 全都是我的主意 |
[34:53] | You have the right to remain silent, | 你有权保持缄默 |
[34:55] | and refuse to answer questions… | 并拒绝回答问题… |
[34:56] | We knew she might crack under questioning, | 我们知道她可能会在盘问下承认 |
[34:58] | but did you think it’d be this easy? | 但没想到会这么容易 |
[35:00] | I don’t think catching both murderers | 我从不认为抓获两个杀人犯 |
[35:01] | is going to be easy at all. | 是一件容易的事 |
[35:02] | She’s lying to us. | 她向我们撒谎了 |
[35:04] | She intends to cover up for her mentor. | 她是为了给导师做掩护 |
[35:12] | I picked Edwin Borstein as a target. | 我选了埃德温·波斯坦作为目标 |
[35:16] | I went to the same web sites he did, | 我去了他常去的网站 |
[35:19] | figured out who he was corresponding with, | 弄到了和他通信的人的地址 |
[35:21] | and then I wrote the virus, | 然后我写好了病毒程序 |
[35:24] | posed as a maid, and had it mailed to Borstein. | 装成清洁工 把病毒寄给了波斯坦 |
[35:27] | You have zero programming experience whatsoever. | 但你之前没有过编程经验 |
[35:31] | You really asking me to believe that you taught yourself | 你真想让我相信你自学编写了一个 |
[35:33] | to write a computer virus that eats itself? | 能够自我销毁的病毒吗 |
[35:37] | If I give you a piece of paper right now… | 如果我现在给你一张纸 |
[35:40] | could you write a little program for us? | 你能给我们写一段代码吗 |
[35:47] | Erin was a conscientious student. | 艾琳是个很尽责的学生 |
[35:49] | I know she took my work very seriously. | 我知道她很看重我的研究 |
[35:52] | But I would never advocate harming somebody. | 但我绝不会主张伤害任何人 |
[35:56] | We’re executing a search warrant on your computer, as we speak. | 现在我们正在对你的电脑进行搜查 |
[35:59] | If there’s any trace of that virus on there, | 如果上面有任何病毒的残留 |
[36:02] | we’ll find it. | 我们会找到的 |
[36:04] | Why are you making this so easy for us? | 为什么你要主动向我们坦白 |
[36:07] | Because I don’t want you | 因为我不想让你们 |
[36:08] | dragging Isaac’s name through the mud. | 毁了艾萨克的名誉 |
[36:11] | His work is too important. | 他的工作至关重要 |
[36:12] | None of us can afford for it to be interrupted. | 耽误了的话我们谁都付不起这个责任 |
[36:17] | So she’s covering for him. | 所以她在替他背黑锅 |
[36:19] | There’s not much I can do– she confessed. | 我也无能为力 她招供了 |
[36:21] | There’s nothing tying Pike to the murder, other than you | 没有任何证据说明派克跟谋杀有关 |
[36:24] | saying Erin Rabin couldn’t have written that virus. | 只有你说爱琳·拉宾不可能写出这个病毒 |
[36:26] | Could we hold him overnight? | 我们能扣留他一晚吗 |
[36:28] | Maybe if we had a little more time… | 也许要是我们有多点时间… |
[36:29] | The search warrant turned up nothing. | 搜查电脑没有任何结果 |
[36:32] | Erin confessed. | 爱琳招供了 |
[36:33] | Unless something changes, the story she told us | 除非再有变数 不然她告诉我们的版本 |
[36:36] | is gonna be the official version | 就是埃德温·波斯坦谋杀案的 |
[36:38] | of Edwin Borstein’s murder. | 官方版本了 |
[37:06] | That was Joan. | 是乔恩打来的 |
[37:07] | She knows you won’t come to the phone when you’re… | 她知道你不会接电话的 在你… |
[37:09] | Like this. | 这样的时候 |
[37:11] | She wants to come round and help. | 她想过来帮忙 |
[37:13] | That won’t be necessary. | 不必了 |
[37:15] | At times, Watson presents certain… moral guidelines, | 有时候 华生表现出的一些…道德准则 |
[37:19] | and they can be an impediment to progress. | 会妨碍调查的进展 |
[37:23] | We’re going to spend the rest of the evening | 今晚剩下的时候我们来看看 |
[37:25] | looking at the friends and family of Isaac Pike. | 艾萨克·派克的朋友及家人 |
[37:29] | Why? | 为什么 |
[37:30] | Erin Rabin is willing to spend her life in prison | 爱琳·拉宾为了让派克继续研究 |
[37:32] | if it means that Pike is free to continue working. | 宁可自己将牢底坐穿 |
[37:35] | She’s has made it all but impossible for us | 她让我们无法证明 |
[37:36] | to prove that he is behind the killing. | 派克是谋杀案的凶手 |
[37:39] | So we’d have to settle with the next best thing. | 所以我们只能退而求其次 |
[37:43] | Getting him to admit that he did it. | 让他自己认罪 |
[37:50] | Isaac Pike. | 艾萨克·派克 |
[37:52] | Sherlock Holmes. | 我是夏洛克·福尔摩斯 |
[37:53] | We met briefly at the police station last night. | 昨晚我们在警察局见过 |
[37:55] | Mr. Holmes. | 福尔摩斯先生 |
[37:58] | Do I need a lawyer? | 我需要找律师吗 |
[37:59] | No, you won’t want her here for this. | 不 你不会想让她听到这些 |
[38:02] | You see, you and I both know that you are the mind | 你我都清楚是你策划了 |
[38:04] | behind the murder of Edwin Borstein, | 埃德温·波斯坦的谋杀 |
[38:05] | Just as we both know that, as long as your student holds fast | 我们都知道 只要你的学生坚持她的说法 |
[38:08] | to her story, I will never be able to prove your guilt. | 我永远无法证明你有罪 |
[38:11] | That’s a problem. | 这是个难题 |
[38:13] | But not an insurmountable one. | 但并非无法解决 |
[38:15] | You have a younger brother– Joshua. | 你有个弟弟 叫乔舒亚 |
[38:17] | He hasn’t quite reached the heights that you have. | 他远没有你这么成就卓越 |
[38:18] | In fact, he’s had some struggles, hasn’t he? | 事实上 他陷入了好些麻烦 对吧 |
[38:20] | Drugs, alcohol… | 毒品 酒精… |
[38:22] | What’s your point? | 你想说什么 |
[38:23] | He’s been convicted of two drug-related felonies. | 他已经被判了两起毒品相关的重罪 |
[38:26] | And since he’s made the mistake of living in Jersey City, | 而他不幸地住在泽西城 |
[38:28] | one more conviction makes him | 再犯一次罪就会 |
[38:29] | eligible for a sentence of 25 years to life | 判他二十五年至终身监禁 |
[38:31] | under the state’s horrific three strikes law. | 因为州内有三振出局的法律规定 |
[38:33] | My associate took some photographs of him | 就在今早 我的同事拍到了他 |
[38:35] | buying a rather large amount of heroin, just this morning. | 买入大量海洛因 |
[38:49] | You want me to confess… | 你想让我认罪… |
[38:52] | And, if I do, you’ll-you’ll-you’ll | 如果我认了 你就会 |
[38:53] | get rid of this folder full of blackmail. | 扔掉这些用来勒索我的证据 |
[38:58] | I imagine you care quite deeply about your brother, | 我觉得你非常在乎你弟弟 |
[39:00] | or you wouldn’t have paid his way through rehab | 不然你也不会三番五次地 |
[39:01] | half a dozen times already. | 为他支付康戒治疗的费用 |
[39:03] | Take two hours to think it over, | 给你两个小时思考一下 |
[39:05] | and if I haven’t heard from you… | 如果你不联系我… |
[39:07] | I did a little research of my own last night. | 昨晚我自己也做了一点调查 |
[39:10] | I was curious why the NYPD had a consultant. | 我很好奇为何纽约警局会找顾问 |
[39:13] | You’ve got a very impressive record– | 你的经历十分瞩目 |
[39:15] | Prolific, too– except for a couple of years ago, | 破案无数 只不过几年前 |
[39:17] | when you suddenly disappeared for six months. | 你突然消失了六个月 |
[39:20] | Six months– that’s the length | 六个月 这是一次完整的 |
[39:21] | of a very serious in-patient rehab. | 住院康戒治疗的时长 |
[39:26] | A man of your unique sensitivities– | 一个像你这么敏感的人 |
[39:28] | I’m sure it’s tempting to dull those senses. | 我想麻痹感官一定很具诱惑力 |
[39:32] | My history has little to do with the matter at hand. | 我的过去跟这个案子毫无关联 |
[39:34] | I think it may. | 我觉得有关 |
[39:36] | I think it unlikely that a recovering addict | 我觉得一个正在康复中的成瘾者 |
[39:39] | would send another troubled soul to rot in prison, | 不会仅因为满足于把人关起来的满足感 |
[39:42] | just to have the satisfaction of putting away his man. | 而将另一个深陷泥潭的人送进监牢任其堕落 |
[39:47] | That would require ruthlessness, | 这需要冷酷无情 |
[39:49] | a kind of… machine logic… I’m not sure you have. | 一种机器逻辑 我不确定你具备 |
[39:56] | Not entirely, anyway. | 反正不完全具备 |
[39:58] | Same kind of machine logic you used | 像你谋杀埃德温·波斯坦时的 |
[40:00] | when you murdered Edwin Borstein. | 那种机器逻辑 |
[40:01] | Some math equations are more compelling than others. | 有些数学等式比其他的更吸引人 |
[40:06] | Yours is a one to one exchange. | 你提供的是一对一的等价交换 |
[40:08] | My brother for me. | 用我弟弟与我交换 |
[40:09] | The equation you attribute to me trades one man’s life | 你给我的这个等式用一个人的性命 |
[40:15] | for the chance to prevent billions of deaths. | 交换让亿万人免于死亡的机会 |
[40:18] | You’re talking about nothing less than the survival of the species. | 这关乎整个物种的存亡 |
[40:22] | Surely that’s worth compromising one’s values for? | 这肯定比一个人的性命更有价值吧 |
[40:28] | In any case… I think you’re bluffing. | 不管怎样 我觉得你在虚张声势 |
[40:33] | You might want the world to believe | 你或许想让全世界都相信 |
[40:34] | that you’re an automaton, a calculating machine… | 你是个机器人 一个精密计算的机器 |
[40:40] | But you and I know better. | 但你我都知道并非如此 |
[40:44] | Or we will, anyway… In a couple of hours. | 反正几个小时后 我们就能见分晓了 |
[41:01] | I didn’t see anything on the news | 我没在新闻上看到 |
[41:03] | about Pike getting arrested. | 派克被捕的消息 |
[41:05] | Nothing about his brother on the police band, either. | 警察也没抓他弟弟 |
[41:07] | What happened? | 怎么了 |
[41:10] | He wouldn’t confess. | 他不肯认罪 |
[41:13] | And you couldn’t turn in his brother. | 而你也不能告发他弟弟 |
[41:16] | We can still keep looking for a way | 我们还是可以继续想办法 |
[41:17] | to prove that Pike did it. | 来证明派克杀了人 |
[41:21] | The property clerk’s office called. | 软件公司的人打来电话 |
[41:21] | They want to know when they can come and pick up Bella. | 他们想知道何时能过来带走贝拉 |
[41:24] | I need a couple more hours with her. | 我还需要留她几个小时 |
[41:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:37] | Wha…? I called to say bye. | 怎么…我打了电话想跟你告别 |
[41:39] | You weren’t picking up. | 但你一直没接 |
[41:42] | I wanted to surprise you. | 我想给你个惊喜 |
[41:44] | You’re great. | 你太好了 |
[41:45] | I mean, I knew you were great | 我知道你有多好 |
[41:46] | but someone helped me to see how great. | 但有人让我更加明白了这点 |
[41:48] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[41:50] | So I called the airline, | 我给航空公司打了电话 |
[41:51] | and there are some empty seats on your flight to Copenhagen. | 你去哥本哈根的那个航班上还有空位 |
[41:54] | Listen– I don’t want to horn in, if you’re too busy, | 我不想打扰你 如果你太忙的话 |
[41:56] | and I can’t stay the whole time but… | 而且我也不能一直待在那 但… |
[41:57] | I’ve always wanted to see Copenhagen. | 我一直都想去哥本哈根 |
[42:06] | Bella… | 贝拉 |
[42:09] | …one member of a murderous conspiracy is in jail. | 谋杀案的一个嫌疑人已经坐牢了 |
[42:13] | The second walks free. | 另一个还逍遥法外 |
[42:16] | The cost of catching him is incarcerating his brother | 抓住他的代价是让他弟弟因无关的罪行 |
[42:19] | for unrelated crimes… | 遭受牢狱之灾 |
[42:22] | …crimes for which I, of all people… | 而这罪行 我最应该 |
[42:25] | should have some understanding. | 有所了解 |
[42:31] | Is it right to let the second murderer walk free? | 应该让另一个凶手逍遥法外吗 |
[42:39] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不明白这个问题 |
[42:41] | Can I have more information? | 能给我更多信息吗 |