时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:10] | Don’t you ever get tired of this memory game? | 每天早上做这种记忆游戏 |
[00:12] | You do it every morning. | 你都不嫌烦 |
[00:13] | The mind is a muscle, Watson. | 华生 脑子就像肌肉 |
[00:14] | It needs to be exercised regularly lest it turn flabby. | 不想松弛就得时时锻炼 |
[00:18] | Most people just read a book. | 普通人就会找本书看 |
[00:20] | I am reading a book. | 我是在看啊 |
[00:22] | Well, do you mind turning it off for a minute? | 你能不能把电视关一会儿 |
[00:24] | I want to finish our conversation from last night. | 昨晚我们的谈话还没结束 |
[00:29] | Okay, I meant all of them. | 好吧 我说的是全关了 |
[00:30] | Absorbing and cataloguing several pieces of information | 我在吸收零碎信息 |
[00:32] | at the same time is the whole point. | 同时编进我脑子的目录里 |
[00:35] | Talk away. | 你就这么讲吧 |
[00:37] | Okay, well, then I want us to get more serious | 那好 我觉得我们要更认真点 |
[00:39] | about finding a sponsor. | 找担保人了 |
[00:40] | Why do I need a sponsor when I have a companion? | 我都有伴儿了干嘛还要担保人 |
[00:43] | Because you only have me for a few more weeks. | 因为我只能再陪你几周 |
[00:45] | A sponsor is permanent, someone who’s… | 而担保人是永久的 他们 |
[00:47] | struggled with their own addictions | 也上过瘾 但挺过来了 |
[00:49] | and is gonna offer you lifelong support and advice, | 他们会给你提供终身的支持和建议 |
[00:51] | which is what you need. | 这正是你需要的 |
[00:54] | The drugs that I took seemed to light up my brain. | 那些药简直有醍醐灌顶之功效 |
[00:57] | Suddenly I realized the power I held, | 突然之间我感受到了我的力量 |
[00:59] | the power to rule, | 那是统治世界的力量 |
[01:02] | to make the world grovel at my feet. | 是让世界匍匐在我脚下的力量 |
[01:08] | The drugs I took seemed to light up my brain. | 那些药简直有醍醐灌顶之功效 |
[01:11] | Suddenly I realized the power I held, | 突然之间我感受到了我的力量 |
[01:13] | the power to rule, | 那是统治世界的力量 |
[01:15] | to make the world grovel at my feet. | 是让世界匍匐在我脚下的力量 |
[01:19] | Well, I know someone who might be a good fit for you. | 我认识个人或许对你的路子 |
[01:22] | I’ve worked with him before. | 我们共过事 |
[01:23] | Let’s have coffee with him, okay? | 跟他喝杯咖啡 怎么样 |
[01:25] | If I needed a sponsor, that would sound delightful. | 我要有担保人啦 真令人愉悦啊 |
[01:27] | I don’t. Just like I didn’t need a sober companion. | 我不要 正如我不需要清醒的伴儿 |
[01:30] | And you didn’t need rehab | 你也不需要康复 |
[01:32] | and you didn’t need drug counseling | 也不需要药物咨询 |
[01:33] | and you didn’t need any help of any kind. | 也不需要任何形式的帮助 |
[01:35] | I know. | 我了解 |
[01:38] | It’s just coffee. | 只是喝咖啡 |
[01:40] | – Sherlock. – Fine. I’ll go. | -夏洛克 -好 我去 |
[01:42] | Provided I can get some peace and quiet around here. | 如果你还我清静的话 |
[01:51] | We completely understand, Mr. McKeon. | 我们完全理解 麦基恩先生 |
[01:53] | Fluid layout. | 流动布局 |
[01:54] | No, we-we agree, uh… | 不 我们 我们同意 |
[01:55] | grid-based design, it’s gone the way of the dinosaur. | 基于网格设计已经落伍了 |
[02:00] | Will do. | 会的 |
[02:01] | All right. Take care. | 行 保重 |
[02:04] | Our favorite client’s still wringing his hands? | 我们最亲爱的客户还是不满意吗 |
[02:06] | Guy just does not get Web design. | 这家伙根本不懂网页设计 |
[02:09] | ‘Course, he’s like 45 or something. | 当然了 他估计奔五十了 |
[02:17] | Is that you? | 是你的吗 |
[02:19] | No. | 不是 |
[02:23] | I think it’s coming from inside the vent. | 好像是从通风口里传出来的 |
[02:32] | Yeah, repair guy must have dropped his phone or something. | 肯定是维修工把手机掉进去了 |
[02:36] | That’s going to make us crazy. | 会很吵死人的 |
[02:37] | I’ll call maintenance. | 我来打给维修 |
[03:19] | The blast detonated in the southeast corner | 炸弹是今早九点一刻左右 |
[03:21] | of the office around 9:15 this morning. | 在这间办公室的东南角炸开的 |
[03:25] | Killed two people, | 两人死亡 |
[03:27] | Dave Preston and Royce Maltz, | 戴夫·普雷斯顿和罗伊斯·马尔兹 |
[03:28] | and injured 11 more. | 11人受伤 |
[03:31] | Chemical composition of the device? | 炸弹装置的化学组成如何 |
[03:34] | The bomb squad’s working on it. | 炸弹清理小组正在查 |
[03:35] | All they know for sure is that | 目前能肯定的是 |
[03:36] | the bomb was stashed in that air vent. | 炸弹被放在那边的通风管道里 |
[03:39] | Both of the victims were employees of this company? | 两个死者都是这家公司的员工吗 |
[03:41] | Parabolic Web Industries. | 公司名叫抛物线网络产业 |
[03:43] | They design and maintain corporate Web sites. | 主要业务是设计和维修公司网站 |
[03:45] | We’re looking into whether anybody had beef with the firm. | 我们在查有没有人这家公司不满 |
[03:49] | Captain? …Got a minute? | 警监…能过来一下吗 |
[04:08] | I imagine you won’t miss this when you’re gone. | 你走时应该不会想念这些的 |
[04:12] | In a few weeks, you’ll be with your new client. | 再有几周 你就有新客户了 |
[04:15] | No more crime scenes, | 不用经历犯罪现场 |
[04:16] | no more death and destruction. | 也不用看到死亡和破坏了 |
[04:18] | Most dangerous place you’ll go | 你去的最危险的地方会是 |
[04:20] | is a support group meeting | 支援小组会 |
[04:21] | where they’ve run out of coffee. | 最紧急的也就是咖啡喝完了 |
[04:24] | Firstly, I don’t have a next client, | 第一 我没有新客户 |
[04:26] | and secondly, you’re right, | 第二 你说对了 |
[04:27] | I’m not gonna miss seeing this stuff. | 我不会对这些有任何留恋 |
[04:42] | You see this? | 瞧这个 |
[04:43] | That’s packing paper. | 是包装纸 |
[04:45] | It’s used to fill the gap | 土制铁管炸弹上用来填 |
[04:46] | between the fuel and the blast cap on a pipe bomb. | 燃料和鼓风盖之间的缝隙的 |
[04:49] | When the bomb detonates, | 当炸弹爆炸时 |
[04:50] | this paper is ejected through the barrel | 它会在被烧成灰烬前 |
[04:52] | before it has time to fully combust. | 从管子里射出来 |
[04:54] | Now, weapons-grade munitions uses pulp filler, | 军用武器填的是纸浆 |
[04:57] | not newspaper. | 不是报纸 |
[04:59] | The bomb squad said the same thing. | 炸弹清理小组也这么说 |
[05:01] | We’re already running a check | 我们已经在调查 |
[05:03] | on recent commercial burglaries | 最近的商业盗窃中 |
[05:04] | to see if anyone’s missing | 有没有易燃化学品 |
[05:06] | any flammable chemicals or gunpowder. | 或火药被盗的 |
[05:12] | You got something? | 你找到什么了 |
[05:13] | Motherboard. | 主板 |
[05:15] | You know this is a computer company, right? | 你知道这是间电脑公司 对吧 |
[05:17] | Well, that’s just it, Detective. | 可这块的确是 探长 |
[05:19] | This is not from a computer. | 这可不是电脑上的 |
[05:20] | It’s from a pager. | 是呼机上的 |
[05:22] | Note the presence of a receiver | 这板上有接收器 |
[05:23] | but the absence of a transmitter. | 却没有发射器 |
[05:26] | So, what’s it doing here? | 这里为什么会有呼机呢 |
[05:29] | Pre-explosion, this place looked like the deck of a starship. | 这地方在爆炸前就像星际飞船的甲板一样 |
[05:32] | It’s unlikely any of the firm’s employees | 公司的职员应该不会 |
[05:33] | would use technology as antiquated as a pager. | 用呼机这么老的设备 |
[05:36] | You’re saying it’s part of the bomb? | 你是说它是装在炸弹上的吗 |
[05:38] | I’m saying this may be the bomb’s detonator. | 我是说这东西可能是引爆器 |
[05:41] | The good news is, if it’s not too badly damaged, | 好消息来了 如果受损不是太严重 |
[05:43] | you’ll be able to trace the account. | 你们就能用它追踪到机主 |
[05:45] | I’ll get this to tech assist right away. | 我这就拿去给技术协助 |
[05:48] | I’ll let you know when we hear something. | 有消息会通知你的 |
[05:51] | If the motherboard is still functional, | 如果主板还能用 |
[05:53] | how long do you think it’s gonna take the police to get a number? | 你觉着他们要花多久才能找到号码 |
[05:55] | Two, maybe three hours. Why? | 两三个小时吧 干嘛 |
[05:59] | He’ll be a great sponsor for you, | 他会是个好担保人 |
[06:00] | and he works on the floor of the stock exchange. | 他是搞证券交易的 |
[06:03] | Good thinking, Watson. | 你真有脑子 华生 |
[06:03] | You know how much I enjoy bankers. | 还知道我有多喜欢银行家 |
[06:05] | Glad to see you’ve been paying attention | 很高兴你在过去几周 |
[06:06] | over the last few weeks. | 注意到了这一点 |
[06:08] | Actually, he’s an officer with the SEC. | 事实上 他是证交委员会的 |
[06:10] | So he spends his days keeping bankers in line. | 是管银行家的 |
[06:12] | He also spent four years at the London School of Economics, | 他还在伦敦经济学院待过四年 |
[06:15] | so he knows your old stomping grounds. | 他熟悉你以前待过的地方 |
[06:17] | You think I’d just pick any name out of a hat? | 你觉得我会随便找个人敷衍你吗 |
[06:20] | Oh, there he is. | 他来了 |
[06:20] | Hey, Adrian. | 这里 艾德里安 |
[06:23] | – Hi. – Hi. | -你好 -你好 |
[06:24] | Adrian, Sherlock. | 这是艾德里安 这是夏洛克 |
[06:26] | Pleasure. | 很高兴见到你 |
[06:30] | Well, you guys talk. | 你们聊 |
[06:31] | I’ll be over there when you’re ready. | 我在那边 好了就叫我 |
[06:38] | A hypothetical, Adrian. | 假设一下 艾德里安 |
[06:39] | I call you in the middle of the night, | 我半夜打电话给你 |
[06:41] | I tell you that I’m thinking of using again, | 告诉你我瘾又犯了 |
[06:42] | and that if I don’t, I might die. | 要是我不用药 可能会死 |
[06:44] | How do you respond? | 你会怎么回答 |
[06:45] | Well, Sherlock, I think I’d start by reminding you, | 夏洛克 我会先提醒你 |
[06:48] | you’ve got to take it one day at a time, | 一天只能用一次 |
[06:50] | and that every clean day is a victory. | 坚持一天不嗑药就是个胜利 |
[06:51] | I call you and tell you that an enemy has poisoned me | 假如我告诉你有人用强力 |
[06:53] | with a powerful neuroleptic agent. | 神经松弛剂下毒害我 |
[06:54] | The only antidote is a healthy dose of diphenhydramine, | 只有注射健康剂量的苯海拉明能救我 |
[06:57] | of which I have plenty. | 而我正好有很多 |
[06:58] | Do you advise me to take it? | 你会建议我用药吗 |
[07:00] | Diphen… | 苯海… |
[07:01] | Diphenhydramine. | 苯海拉明 |
[07:04] | You find murder-by-poisoning humorous? | 你觉得下毒谋杀很可笑吗 |
[07:05] | No, of course not. I just… | 不 当然不是 我只是… |
[07:07] | The diphenhydramine, Adrian, do I take it? | 苯海拉明 艾德里安 我该不该服用 |
[07:10] | If it’s gonna save your life, | 如果它能挽救你的生命 |
[07:12] | then yeah, of course you do. | 那么是 你应该服用 |
[07:25] | That’s your idea of a good fit, seriously? | 说真的 你认为这是不错的选择吗 |
[07:27] | I told you, he’s one of the best sponsors I know. | 据我所知 他是最好的担保人之一 |
[07:29] | Peter Platitude? | 烦人的陈词滥调 |
[07:30] | I was waiting for him to hold my hand | 我还在等我们双手交握 |
[07:31] | so we could recite the Serenity Prayer. | 这样我们就可以轻诵宁静之祷呢 |
[07:33] | Okay, if you want to hear something other then platitudes, | 好吧 如果你不想听陈词滥调 |
[07:35] | try listening to the guy for more than two minutes. | 你就不应该只和他说两分钟的话 |
[07:37] | The man encouraged me to take diphenhydramine, Watson. | 华生 他鼓励我服用苯海拉明 |
[07:40] | A deliriant. | 那是谵妄药 |
[07:41] | The Republic of Zambia recently classified that | 赞比亚共和国最近把它 |
[07:43] | a controlled substance. | 列入控制类药剂了 |
[07:45] | Now, what kind of a sponsor would allow his sponsee | 什么样的担保人会冒着被担保方 |
[07:47] | to risk their sobriety over a simple case | 失去意识的风险 |
[07:48] | of neuroleptic poisoning? | 仅为了解决简单的安定药中毒 |
[07:50] | Okay, you think I don’t know | 好吧 你以为我不知道 |
[07:51] | there’s no right answer to that question? | 这个问题没有正确答案吗 |
[07:53] | You don’t want Adrian? | 你不想要艾德里安 |
[07:54] | Okay. This is a process. | 好吧 这至少是一种进步 |
[07:56] | We can look for other candidates at group tonight. | 今晚我们可以看看组内其他的候选人 |
[07:57] | But know this: we are gonna find you a sponsor | 但是在我的陪护到期之前 |
[08:00] | before my stint is up, okay? | 我们得确定你的担保人 好吗 |
[08:07] | Captain. | 警监 |
[08:07] | That motherboard you found– | 你发现的主板 |
[08:09] | bomb squad confirmed it was part of the device, | 拆弹组证实是炸弹的一部分 |
[08:11] | so touché. | 被你说中了 |
[08:12] | The pager it was part of was prepaid, | 这个呼机是预付款的 |
[08:14] | so there was no subscriber info, | 因此没有任何用户信息 |
[08:15] | but luckily, the tech assist was able to pull a number off it. | 但幸运的是 技术部提取了传呼号码 |
[08:19] | And the same phone called the pager | 而今早 同一部手机 |
[08:21] | three times this morning, | 呼叫了这个呼机三次 |
[08:23] | and each call was within seconds of the bomb going off. | 而每次呼叫都在爆炸的时间点内 |
[08:26] | Were you able to trace the number? | 你能追踪到那个号码吗 |
[08:28] | Yeah, to a plumber named Rennie Jacobs from Queens. | 能 皇后区的一个叫雷尼·雅各布的管工 |
[08:31] | And get this, he just did a six-year stretch | 还有 因为他为了保险欺诈 |
[08:34] | for burning down his apartment | 烧掉了他的公寓 |
[08:35] | in an insurance fraud scheme. | 他坐了六年的牢 |
[08:37] | Any particular reason | 他想炸掉那个网页设计公司 |
[08:39] | he’d want to depredate that Web Design Firm? | 有什么特别原因吗 |
[08:40] | No clue, but, uh, if you want to see him | 没有线索 他现在在警局 |
[08:43] | live and in person, he just got here. | 你要来见他吗 |
[08:46] | I was just trying to call in | 我只是想打电话 |
[08:47] | a breakfast sandwich order, that’s it. | 叫一份三明治作早餐 |
[08:49] | Three times you called that pager, Mr. Jacobs. | 雅各布 你呼叫了那个呼机三次 |
[08:51] | Three times. | 三次 |
[08:52] | You said the pager number was 555-0164, right? | 你说那个呼机号码是555-0164 |
[08:56] | 212 area code? | 区号212 对吗 |
[08:57] | I was trying to call Miracle Deli on 113th. | 我当时想打给113号街的奇迹速食店 |
[09:00] | Their number is off by one digit. 0165. | 他们的号码只差一位数 是0165 |
[09:04] | I must’ve misdialed, ’cause when they didn’t answer, | 我一定是拨错了 因为他们没接电话后 |
[09:08] | I hit redial. | 我按了重播键 |
[09:10] | Twice. | 两次 |
[09:11] | Miracle Deli. Pickup or delivery? | 奇迹速食店 打包还是外送 |
[09:13] | He’s telling the truth | 在那个只差一位数的号码上 |
[09:14] | about the numbers being off by a single digit. | 他没撒谎 |
[09:16] | Yeah, we know. | 我们知道 |
[09:17] | Coincidence bugs me, but not enough to cut him loose. | 令人震惊的巧合 但不足以释放他 |
[09:22] | I got to step out. | 我要出去了 |
[09:24] | Bomb squad wants to brief me. | 拆弹组要给我做陈述 |
[09:31] | You don’t look convinced. | 你似乎心存怀疑 |
[09:33] | Bomb-building is a dangerous venture. | 炸楼是一个危险的冒险行为 |
[09:35] | It requires patience, precision, | 需要耐心 高精密度 |
[09:37] | attention to detail. | 绝对的细心 |
[09:39] | Mr. Jacobs’ wristwatch is nine minutes slow | 雅各布的手表慢了9分钟 |
[09:41] | and his fly is three-quarters down. | 他的拉链只拉了四分之三 |
[09:45] | That doesn’t scream detail-oriented. | 他完全不注重细节 |
[09:47] | Ted Kaczynski looked like a hobo puked another hobo. | 泰德·凯辛斯基看上去像恶心的流浪汉 |
[09:50] | He managed to hurt plenty of people. | 但他成功伤害了很多人 |
[09:54] | Point taken. | 有道理 |
[09:56] | – It’s definately our commercial. – Yeah | -这是我们的工作范围 -是 |
[10:02] | Can I help you? | 怎么了 |
[10:05] | This is the, uh… | 这是… |
[10:06] | the bomb’s power source, I presume? | 我猜是炸弹的电源吧 |
[10:08] | Six volt. | 六伏特 |
[10:09] | Very interesting company, PrimSource Battery. | 很有趣的公司 洁源电池公司 |
[10:11] | Founded in 1888 by British expat | 1888年英国侨民创办的 |
[10:14] | and purveyor of mechanical novelties, | 还供应新奇的机械小玩意 |
[10:15] | Hubert Primler. | 休伯特·普米勒 |
[10:17] | They switched to making batteries full-time in 1907, | 1907年他们转变为专产电池的公司了 |
[10:20] | each one stamped with the company’s | 每一个产品上都印有该公司 |
[10:21] | now iconic rising-sun logo. | 标志性的旭日东升的商标 |
[10:24] | The logo remained unchanged until 2008, | 该标志一直没变 直到2008年 |
[10:26] | when a small oak tree was added | 他们加了一棵小橡树 |
[10:28] | to commemorate the company’s centenary. | 以庆祝公司的百年诞辰 |
[10:30] | Yet this one has no oak tree. | 而这个没有橡树 |
[10:34] | That means that battery | 说明这个电池 |
[10:35] | is more than four years old. | 至少有四年的历史了 |
[10:37] | Odd, isn’t it, go to all that trouble | 很奇怪 是不是 搞定了所有麻烦 |
[10:39] | building an elaborate explosive device | 去装置一个精心制作的炸弹 |
[10:41] | and then power it with an old | 却使用了一个老旧的 |
[10:42] | and potentially unreliable battery? | 很可能会失灵的电池 |
[10:44] | Odd, yes, but not impossible. | 是很奇怪 但不是不可能 |
[10:46] | Holmes, Holmes, I’ve only got a few minutes here | 福尔摩斯 在面对二十台照相机 |
[10:49] | to pick Bennett’s brain before I have | 解释今天早上发生的事前 |
[10:50] | to stand in front of 20 cameras | 我只剩几分钟 |
[10:52] | to explain what happened this morning. | 来征求贝内特的意见了 |
[10:54] | – What about that? – What about what? | -那这个呢 -哪个 |
[10:56] | It’s the President. | 这是总统 |
[10:57] | Wrong. It’s the Senator. Captain… | 错 是参议员 警监 |
[10:59] | Senator Obama, not President Obama. | 是参议员奥巴马 不是总统奥巴马 |
[11:01] | You can tell from the lack of gray in his hair. | 从他很少灰发可以看出来 |
[11:03] | He’s right. I can make out a date on this one. | 他说得对 我在这张上找到日期了 |
[11:05] | October 13, 2008. | 2008年10月13号 |
[11:08] | So, what are you saying? | 所以 你想说什么 |
[11:09] | That battery is four years old. | 那个电池是四年前的 |
[11:10] | These shreds of newspaper are four years old. | 这些报纸的碎片也是四年前的 |
[11:12] | The bomb that exploded this morning was four years old. | 今早爆炸的炸弹是四年前的 |
[11:15] | But why would the suspect build a bomb | 那为什么嫌犯要在四年前 |
[11:17] | and sit on it for four years? | 制作并安放了一个炸弹 |
[11:19] | He wouldn’t have. | 他没有 |
[11:20] | And in Rennie Jacobs’s case, he couldn’t have. | 以雷尼·雅各布的情况来说 他做不到 |
[11:21] | He was in prison four years ago. | 四年前他还在监狱里 |
[11:23] | I think he was telling the truth | 关于早上拨错电话的事 |
[11:24] | when he said he dialed the wrong number this morning. | 他没撒谎 |
[11:27] | We have the man who set it off accidentally in 2012. | 我们抓到的是2012年引爆炸弹的人 |
[11:30] | Now we just need the man who intended to set it off in 2008. | 而我们要抓的是2008年安装炸弹的人 |
[11:38] | You’re sure he’s not the one who built the bomb? | 你确定他不是放炸弹的犯人 |
[11:39] | Sure? No. | 确定吗 不 |
[11:41] | Reasonably certain? Yeah. | 理论上来说 是的 |
[11:43] | The NYPD can continue to poke and prod him. | 纽约警察会继续刺探审问他 |
[11:45] | In the meantime, you and I can push forward | 同时 我们可以在这儿推进 |
[11:47] | on this, our new front. | 我们的新战线 |
[11:50] | It is a lovely front. | 不错的战线 |
[11:52] | Hmm. Vanowen Strategic Communications. | 佛农策略咨询公司 |
[11:54] | Public Relations Consultancy founded in 1994 | 旗下公关顾问公司成立于1994年 |
[11:57] | by Harrington School of Business alumna Heather Vanowen. | 由哈林顿商业学院校友希瑟·佛农组建 |
[12:00] | The firm is particularly adept at solving image crises | 该公司尤其擅长解决企业的 |
[12:03] | of the corporate variety, | 各种形象危机 |
[12:04] | making them one-stop shopping for many of the Fortune 500. | 他们为很多500强公司提供一条龙服务 |
[12:08] | Spin doctors of the highest order, and | 是顶尖的政治化妆师 |
[12:12] | former tenants of the midtown offices | 也是今早被自制炸弹摧毁的 |
[12:14] | ravaged by a homemade bomb this morning. | 市中心写字楼的前租客 |
[12:16] | They occupied the space until December 2008. | 他们租用那个写字楼到2008年12月 |
[12:19] | Now, if I’m right | 如果我是对的 |
[12:20] | and the bomb was planted that October, | 那个炸弹安装于2008年10月 |
[12:22] | this company or one of its employees | 这个公司或者其中某个雇员 |
[12:24] | may have been the intended target. | 可能就是原本的目标 |
[12:26] | Mr. Holmes? | 福尔摩斯先生 |
[12:29] | Heather Vanowen. | 希瑟·佛农 |
[12:30] | This is Earl Wheeler, my C.F.O.. | 这位是艾尔·维勒 公司财务总监 |
[12:33] | We were told you work with the police. | 您说您为警方工作 |
[12:35] | I’m their consultant. | 我是他们的顾问 |
[12:36] | This is Miss Watson. | 这位是华生小姐 |
[12:37] | She is my consultant, slash housekeep. | 她是我的顾问兼打理家务 |
[12:40] | So, how can we help you today? | 那您今天来有何贵干 |
[12:42] | Well, you can start by telling us | 你可以先从告诉我们 |
[12:43] | who maybe have wanted to blow you up in 2008. | 谁可能想在2008年把你炸死说起 |
[12:48] | I’m stunned. | 太令我震惊了 |
[12:50] | I-I saw the story on the news this morning. | 我早上在新闻里看到了报道 |
[12:52] | I knew that was our old office space, but… | 我知道我们以前在那办公 但… |
[12:54] | I never would have guessed that that bomb was meant for us. | 我从没想过炸弹是用来对付我们的 |
[12:58] | So you honestly think it was just | 你们真以为炸弹能 |
[12:59] | sitting there this whole time? | 平安无事地放那么久吗 |
[13:01] | The police think it was tucked into an air vent. | 警方认为它被塞在通风管道里 |
[13:03] | If that part of the building’s climate control system | 如果大楼里的那部分温度控制系统 |
[13:05] | had never needed repair — | 从没出过故障 |
[13:07] | and judging by this morning’s events, it didn’t– | 而且从今早的爆炸看 它确实没有 |
[13:09] | it could have gone undiscovered indefinitely. | 炸弹完全有可能无限期地遗留在那 |
[13:12] | Okay, but why this morning? | 好吧 那为什么是今早爆炸 |
[13:13] | Why’d it go off after all this time? | 为什么那么长时间都没事 |
[13:15] | The bomb was detonated by a pager. | 炸弹由一个呼机控制 |
[13:18] | In 2008, the company that made that pager | 2008年 制造那个呼机的公司 |
[13:21] | had no signal towers | 在你们旧办公室周围的 |
[13:22] | within 42 blocks of your old offices. | 42个街区以内都没有信号基站 |
[13:25] | In 2010, they erected | 但在2010年 他们在仅仅 |
[13:27] | a new tower a mere three blocks away. | 3个街区以外的地方建了一个新的基站 |
[13:31] | So the bomb didn’t detonate in 2008 | 所以炸弹在2008年没有引爆 |
[13:34] | because the call couldn’t go through. | 因为当时没有信号 |
[13:35] | The question is: Who built the device, | 现在的问题是 谁制造了炸弹 |
[13:37] | and what may they have had against your company? | 他们要对付你们公司的动机是什么 |
[13:40] | I’m sure that we’ve made our fair share of enemies along the way, | 我们在发展过程中肯定有不少劲敌 |
[13:42] | but, um… someone who would build a bomb? | 但要说起 谁可能制造炸弹 |
[13:46] | ELM The ELM. | |
[13:48] | The Earth Liberty Militia. | 地球解放自卫队 |
[13:50] | We got some threatening letters from them in 2008. | 我们在08年收到过他们的恐吓信 |
[13:52] | They’re an ecoterrorist group, right? | 他们是生态恐怖组织 对吗 |
[13:54] | They’ve bombed a few other companies over the years. | 他们近年来炸了一些其他的公司 |
[13:56] | What would an ecoterrorist group have against a PR firm? | 为什么生态恐怖组织要对付一家公关公司 |
[13:59] | Our clients. | 因为我们的客户 |
[14:01] | We work with some of the major energy conglomerates. | 我们的客户包含一些大型能源企业 |
[14:04] | Occasionally we have to help them | 我们偶尔帮助他们 |
[14:05] | smooth over their image after mishaps. | 在污染事故后挽回形象 |
[14:07] | 200 million gallons of oil spilling into the Gulf, for example? | 比如说墨西哥湾2亿加仑原油泄漏事故吗 |
[14:10] | The ELM sent us seven letters in 2008. | 08年地球解放自卫队给我们寄了7封信 |
[14:13] | I know that we kept hard copies of them in our records room. | 我记得档案室里还保存着复印件 |
[14:15] | You want to take a look? | 你们想看看吗 |
[14:16] | We would. | 好的 |
[14:20] | Effluvium, fussbudget, Cairo. | 恶臭 吹毛求疵 开罗 |
[14:23] | 9 across, 14 down, 32 down. | 横9 竖14 竖32 |
[14:27] | I-I have a sort of thing for puzzles. | 我是填字游戏天才 |
[14:33] | When I first tried getting clean, | 在我第一次戒毒的时候 |
[14:36] | I started drinking. | 我开始酗酒 |
[14:38] | Before long, I realized that I had swapped | 不久以后 我发现其实我只是换了 |
[14:40] | one addiction for another. | 一件上瘾的东西 |
[14:40] | Please put those away. | 拜托你别看了 |
[14:42] | “You cannot stop this. You can only submit. | “你不能阻止我 你只能服从 |
[14:45] | Submit or be destroyed” | 服从 或是被毁灭” |
[14:48] | That’s something the ELM would say. | 地球解放自卫队该这么说 |
[14:51] | Here… | 这里… |
[14:51] | Not the time, not the place. | 不是现在 别在这儿 |
[14:54] | I’m sorry, but from a forensic linguistics standpoint, | 抱歉 但从法律语言学的角度看 |
[14:56] | these threats are quite fascinating. | 这些恐吓信写得太好了 |
[14:58] | For example, I see clues here that would suggest | 比如说 我能从这里的线索发现 |
[15:01] | that the ELM was not an organization, per se, | 地球解放自卫队本身并不是一个组织 |
[15:04] | but one man posing as an organization. | 而是一个伪装成组织的个人 |
[15:09] | Seriously, can you just examine those at home? | 说真的 你能回家再看吗 |
[15:11] | We have work to do here. | 我们在这有事要做 |
[15:12] | Oh, yeah. Sponsor Search 2012. | 没错 2012担保人互助会 |
[15:16] | I have to say, Watson, | 我不得不说 华生 |
[15:16] | it’s a bit of a motley crew tonight. | 今晚在这的都是一群乌合之众 |
[15:19] | I don’t think these are my kind of addicts. | 我和他们这样的瘾君子不一样 |
[15:22] | I think this is going to be a much longer | 我觉得这会是比我们 |
[15:24] | and more involved process than we initially thought. | 原先想的更漫长更复杂的过程 |
[15:27] | You have 23 days. | 你还有23天 |
[15:28] | Then our time is up. | 在我们的合约到期之前 |
[15:32] | My name is Alfredo, and I’m an addict. | 我叫阿弗雷多 我是个瘾君子 |
[15:34] | Hi, Alfredo. | 你好 阿弗雷多 |
[15:36] | Started boosting cars when I was 14. | 我14岁就开始偷车 |
[15:39] | By the time I turned 18, | 等到我18岁的时候 |
[15:41] | I was the best there is. | 我成了当地最好的偷车贼 |
[15:43] | Ain’t a car in the city I can’t steal. | 城里没有我偷不了的车 |
[15:46] | Him. | 就是他 |
[15:47] | – Hmm? – Now I’m flush with cash, | -什么 -现在我钱多得花不完 |
[15:48] | I’m bored… I turn to drugs. | 我觉得没劲…所以吸毒寻找刺激 |
[15:51] | I want him to be my sponsor. | 我要他做我的担保人 |
[15:53] | Took my first hit at 19… | 19岁我第一次吸毒… |
[15:58] | This phrase, “On your beam ends,” | 这个短语 “你已在船梁之末” |
[16:00] | it appears in five of the seven threats. | 在七封恐吓信的五封里出现 |
[16:03] | I’m certain I’ve heard it before; | 我以前肯定听过 |
[16:04] | I just… can’t recall where. | 只是…想不起在哪 |
[16:06] | “On your beam ends.” | “你已在船梁之末” |
[16:08] | A nautical idiom first documented | 首次记载在弗雷德里克·马里亚特上校 |
[16:09] | in Captain Frederick Marryat’s 1830 novel | 1830年的小说《王权直属》里的 |
[16:12] | The King’s Own, | 一个航海习语 |
[16:13] | signifying a situation of great peril. | 表示非常危险的境地 |
[16:16] | Strange for such an aberrant phrase | 这么一个生僻的短语反复出现 |
[16:18] | to appear so repeatedly. | 真是太奇怪了 |
[16:20] | Are you seriously going to make me ask? | 你一定要让我亲口问吗 |
[16:22] | – Ask what? – About your sponsor, Alfredo. | -问什么 -你的担保人 阿弗雷多 |
[16:25] | Delightful fellow. | 不错的伙伴 |
[16:26] | He’s agreed to meet us both tomorrow for coffee. | 他答应明天和我们喝咖啡 |
[16:28] | So we can get to know one another. | 我们可以相互认识一下 |
[16:30] | You don’t approve? | 你不同意吗 |
[16:31] | I’m just a little confused, that’s all. | 我只是有点搞糊涂了 |
[16:33] | I mean, you actually met Adrian. | 我是说 你见过艾德里安 |
[16:34] | You talked to him before you turned him down. | 你在和他聊了会之后拒绝了他 |
[16:36] | You heard Alfredo speak for 15 seconds. | 但你只听阿弗雷多说了15秒钟 |
[16:39] | Oh, have you not figured out by now | 你现在还没明白我的水平 |
[16:41] | that I see far more than your average addict? | 比一般的瘾君子高得多吗 |
[16:43] | My observational skills are second to none. | 我的观察能力首屈一指 |
[16:45] | I know. I know that. I just… | 我知道 我只是… |
[16:47] | I want to leave you in the best situation possible. | 想给你创造最好的环境 |
[16:48] | It’s important to me. | 这对我很重要 |
[16:50] | – Got it. – Good. I’m glad. | -明白 -很好 我很高兴 |
[16:52] | No. “On your beam ends” | 不是这个 “你已在船梁之末” |
[16:54] | I’ve got it. | 我懂了 |
[16:55] | I know where I was when I heard it. | 我想起来在哪听过 |
[17:03] | That one. | 那台 |
[17:04] | That’s where I saw it, weeks ago. | 我在那台电视里看过 几周以前 |
[17:06] | But what was the context? | 是什么节目来着 |
[17:12] | Yellow cartoon sponge man, | 海绵宝宝 |
[17:14] | sports news, mouthwash advert, | 体育新闻 漱口水广告 |
[17:16] | Arctic Blue… | 惊险之旅 |
[17:17] | You want to tell me what you’re doing? | 你能告诉我这是在干嘛吗 |
[17:18] | Uh, method of loci, memonic device. | 位置记忆法 一种记忆的方式 |
[17:21] | Relies on memorized spatial relationships to establish catalogue | 依靠记住的空间关系来建立记忆列表 |
[17:24] | and recollect memorial content. | 并以此回想起记忆的内容 |
[17:28] | If I remember what was on these six screens, | 要是我能记起这六个电视当时播放的内容 |
[17:30] | I’ll remember what was on the seventh. | 我一定能想起第七个 |
[17:36] | Fat lady, new cookbook, insufferable. | 胖女人 介绍新食谱 招人讨厌 |
[17:39] | Erectile dysfunction. Nature program, penguins. | 勃起障碍治疗 科普节目 介绍企鹅 |
[17:41] | And… talk show. | 然后是…脱口秀 |
[17:44] | The topic was… International Whaling Laws. | 主题是… 国际反捕鲸法 |
[17:48] | Two guests got into an argument. | 两位嘉宾在节目里辩论 |
[17:58] | You are not seriously suggesting | 你不会真的以为 |
[18:00] | that cleaning out the Pacific Ocean is a good idea. | 清空太平洋是个明智的决定 |
[18:02] | What do you suggest we tell the Japanese worker | 那你让我们如何向依赖 |
[18:04] | whose livelihood depends upon this trade? | 这项贸易生存的日本渔民交待 |
[18:06] | Just… you don’t get it. | 你的重点错了 |
[18:08] | One day 50 years from now, when you’re on your beam ends, | 五十年后 当你穷困潦倒的时候 |
[18:11] | you’ll wish you’d done more when you could have. | 你会后悔当初没多做些事情来保护生态 |
[18:14] | That’s the same bombast | 这样夸张的说法 |
[18:15] | I read in the ELM letters. | 和地球解放自卫队的信里一样 |
[18:17] | It’s the same hyperbole. | 同样的夸张 |
[18:18] | Same weird phrase. | 同样奇怪的短语 |
[18:19] | You really think it’s him? | 你真的认为是他吗 |
[18:21] | I know a way to find out. | 我知道该如何确认 |
[18:23] | I’m confused, detective. | 我不明白 警探 |
[18:25] | You’re accusing me of being some sort of ecoterrorist? | 你在指控我是生态恐怖分子吗 |
[18:28] | One of our special consultants | 我们的一位特殊顾问 |
[18:30] | thinks your speech pattern is a match for these letters. | 认为你说话的方式和信中的语气吻合 |
[18:33] | For the last time, | 最后说一次 |
[18:35] | I have never seen these letters before. | 我从没见过这些信 |
[18:37] | I don’t know anything about the ELM, | 我不知道什么地球解放自卫队 |
[18:39] | and I certainly didn’t build any bombs. | 我也没有制造过炸弹 |
[18:41] | Lie, lie and lie. | 谎话 谎话 全是谎话 |
[18:45] | Who the hell are you? | 你谁啊 |
[18:46] | I am the man with the button. | 我是手里有按钮的人 |
[18:49] | It’s from the elevator down the hall. | 是从楼下电梯里拿到的 |
[18:51] | You pushed it to get to this floor. | 也就是你来这儿时按的那个 |
[18:52] | As soon as you disembarked, I removed it, | 你一下电梯 我就把它取下来了 |
[18:54] | and took it to the department’s latent print unit. | 送到了警局的指纹库 |
[18:57] | It has your fingerprint on it, you see. | 上面有你的指纹 |
[18:59] | Which means it has a great deal in common | 05年 地球解放自卫队 |
[19:01] | with a component from a bomb the ELM detonated | 在尤蒂卡的伐木场放置的炸弹上 |
[19:04] | in a lumber mill in Utica in 2005. | 也有极其相似的指纹 |
[19:08] | Button… bomb. | 按钮的指纹 炸弹的指纹 |
[19:10] | Button… bomb. | 按钮的指纹 炸弹的指纹 |
[19:13] | The similarities are quite striking, wouldn’t you agree? | 这俩指纹也太像了 不是吗 |
[19:16] | You built the ELM bombs, Mr. Knowles. | 你制造了地球解放自卫队的炸弹 |
[19:18] | And you wrote those letters. | 这些信也是你写的 |
[19:19] | It’s too bad you didn’t go back for the one | 当你发现你的炸弹有缺陷时 |
[19:20] | you left at Vanowen S.C. when you realized it was defective. | 没有回到佛农公司拆除真是失策 |
[19:23] | Maybe you wouldn’t be facing two murder charges today. | 今天你可能会得到两项谋杀指控 |
[19:28] | I bombed that lumber mill. | 是我炸了那个伐木场 |
[19:31] | And I wrote these letters to Vanowen S.C. | 是我写的这些信 |
[19:34] | But you know what I didn’t do? | 但你知道吗 |
[19:37] | Follow up on them. | 我没有继续对他们采取行动 |
[19:39] | By 2008, I had successfully detonated | 直到2008年 我成功地 |
[19:42] | nitrate-based bombs at five different companies. | 利用硝酸盐炸弹炸毁了五家公司 |
[19:45] | I was established, and I was taken very seriously. | 那时我很有地位 很被人看重 |
[19:48] | Vanowen S.C. was one of several dozen businesses | 我恐吓过包括佛农在内的几家公司 |
[19:52] | I threatened but never bombed. | 但却没有在那安置炸弹 |
[19:54] | Why am I not surprised you’d take credit | 你承认了所有的事情 |
[19:56] | for every bombing except | 却不承认这次爆炸 |
[19:58] | the one that killed two people? | 不就是因为这次炸死了两个人吗 |
[20:02] | Was that you? | 是你干的吗 |
[20:04] | Was what me? | 什么事情 |
[20:09] | What did those balls ever do to you? | 这些球招你惹你了 |
[20:12] | They’re dying for a good cause, Watson. | 它们会死得其所的 华生 |
[20:15] | Of course they are. | 当然 |
[20:19] | Did you know that when a bomb explodes, | 知道吗 当炸弹爆炸时 |
[20:21] | the component that houses the fuel is often atomized? | 覆盖在燃料上的东西会雾化 |
[20:24] | Now, this can make it difficult, if not downright impossible, | 因此想要确定炸弹里的化学成分 |
[20:27] | to identify the device’s chemical composition. | 即使可能 也是很困难的 |
[20:30] | The NYPD bomb squad is currently struggling | 纽约警方的爆破小组正在努力解决 |
[20:32] | with this very conundrum, so I thought I would help. | 这个问题 我想帮帮忙 |
[20:35] | – With tennis balls? – I’m attempting to replicate | -用网球吗 -我试着通过 |
[20:37] | the odor and burn pattern of the office bombing | 自己调制的混合物来复制 |
[20:40] | using a few of my own concoctions, and these balls | 案发现场的气味和爆炸模式 这些球 |
[20:42] | make the perfect delivery mechanism. | 就是最好的点燃装置 |
[20:57] | When Edgar Knowles was arrested this afternoon, | 当埃德加·诺尔斯下午被逮捕时 |
[20:59] | he confessed to setting off | 他承认他在不同的公司里 |
[21:00] | five nitrate-based bombs at various businesses. | 安装过五个硝酸盐炸弹 |
[21:04] | No self-respecting eco-warrior | 他自称为生态保护者 |
[21:06] | would use toxic, man-made chemicals in his bombs. | 所以不可能用有毒的化学药品来制造炸弹 |
[21:08] | He would use natural ingredients. | 他可能会用一些自然材料 |
[21:13] | Smells like fertilizer. | 闻起来像化肥 |
[21:14] | With good reason. | 是有原因的 |
[21:15] | Beyond its horticultural employments, | 除了园艺功能 |
[21:17] | fertilizer can be distilled down | 化肥还可以通过蒸馏 |
[21:18] | and mixed into a rather potent nitrate accelerant. | 产生一种物质来生成硝酸盐 |
[21:22] | This ball is filled with the stuff. | 就是这个球里面装着的东西 |
[21:24] | If Knowles did try to blow up Vanowen S.C., | 如果诺尔斯确实想炸掉佛农公司 |
[21:27] | he would have used nitrates, and if he’d used nitrates, | 他会用硝酸盐 但如果他这么做了 |
[21:29] | the bomb would have filled the air with an odor | 炸弹爆炸后会在空气中留下 |
[21:31] | as pungent as it is distinctive, | 刺激性的气味 |
[21:33] | the same odor that you’re smelling right now. | 就是你现在闻到的这种 |
[21:35] | The thing is, I didn’t smell | 问题是 在现场我没有 |
[21:36] | any fertilizer when we were there. | 闻到这种气味 |
[21:38] | I smelled something else. | 我闻到的是其他气味 |
[21:40] | It was foreign to me in the moment, but… | 一开始我觉得这种气味很怪 但是 |
[21:42] | I have managed to recreate it with the help of | 通过网球的帮助 我成功地 |
[21:43] | my little round friends here. | 制造出了这种味道 |
[21:46] | I am now certain that the bomb was made | 我现在很确定炸弹是由 |
[21:47] | using potassium chlorate. | 氯酸钾制成的 |
[21:49] | It’s an accelerant made of | 他是汽油 漂白剂 凡士林 |
[21:50] | gasoline, bleach and petroleum jelly. | 混合制成的 |
[21:53] | Are you saying that Edgar Knowles was telling the truth | 你的意思是埃德加·诺尔斯说的是实话 |
[21:55] | when he told you that he didn’t build the bomb | 他确实没有想过炸掉 |
[21:57] | that exploded at Vanowen S.C.? | 佛农公司吗 |
[21:59] | – I am. – Well, if he didn’t build it, who did? | -是的 -如果不是他 那是谁呢 |
[22:03] | Haven’t the foggiest. | 不知道 |
[22:27] | Heard you were looking for me? | 听说你在找我 |
[22:29] | Yesterday, you gave us Edgar Knowles on a silver platter. | 昨天 你说埃德加·诺尔斯是凶手 |
[22:32] | Now you’re telling me | 今天你又说 |
[22:34] | he did every bomb except for the one | 只有两天前的案子 |
[22:36] | – from two days ago? – As I said before, | -与他无关 -正如我之前所说的 |
[22:38] | that bomb was built using potassium chlorate. | 那个炸弹是用氯化钾制成的 |
[22:40] | Yeah, and Knowles only used ones with cow manure. | 对 诺尔斯只用牛的粪便 |
[22:43] | I heard you. That’s not enough. | 我听到了 但这不是证据 |
[22:45] | There’s more. I came in this morning | 还有 我今早来 |
[22:46] | to reexamine the bomb’s components, and I pieced together | 重新检测炸弹的组件 我拼出了 |
[22:49] | some of the strips of packing paper | 包装纸上的字 |
[22:50] | that were used. I managed to form | 这应该是纽约时报 |
[22:52] | almost a third of a page of the October 13 edition | 10月13号那一版 |
[22:54] | of the New York Times. | 的第三页 |
[22:55] | This particular clump caught my eye. | 这个地方很有意思 |
[22:58] | I saw small, almost imperceptible indentations | 报纸的上边缘处有一行很小 |
[23:00] | along the upper fringe. | 细微的压痕 |
[23:03] | I don’t see anything. | 我没看出不同 |
[23:04] | You wouldn’t. | 你看不出的 |
[23:06] | Well, most people wouldn’t, which is why | 当然 很多人都看不出 因此 |
[23:08] | I traced over it. | 我把它描了下来 |
[23:13] | The paper that was used | 之前有人 |
[23:13] | in the bomb was beneath another piece | 在报纸上写字 而这张报纸 |
[23:15] | of paper when someone wrote that word. | 就垫在那张报纸的下面 |
[23:17] | They pressed hard enough to make indentations. | 笔力太重 在这张报纸上留了痕迹 |
[23:19] | Now, I already checked it | 我已经比对了 |
[23:20] | against Edgar Knowles’s handwriting. | 埃德加·诺尔斯的笔迹 |
[23:21] | It’s not a match. | 不吻合 |
[23:22] | All due respect, Holmes. So what? | 福尔摩斯 这又怎么样呢 |
[23:24] | Maybe he had help with the bomb. | 也许他有帮凶呢 |
[23:26] | Maybe that person wrote some | 也许那个人在报纸上 |
[23:27] | weird note on top of the newspaper. | 随便写写罢了 |
[23:29] | As I said previously, I believe Edgar Knowles worked alone. | 我之前说过 埃德加·诺尔斯是单干的 |
[23:31] | And as I said previously, I still like him | 我之前也说过 我还是认为 |
[23:34] | for the last bomb. | 他是凶手 |
[23:37] | The threats against Vanowen S.C. were never made public, | 佛农收到的恐吓信从未公开 |
[23:39] | which means, aside from the police, | 也就是说 除了警察 |
[23:41] | the firm’s employees were the only ones | 公司员工是唯一 |
[23:42] | who were aware of them. | 知情的人 |
[23:43] | I’d like you to request a subpoena | 我要求他们提供一份 |
[23:44] | of their personnel files | 员工档案 |
[23:45] | – so that I can review them. – For what? | -这样我就能查一查 -为了什么 |
[23:48] | Well, imagine you were a disgruntled employee, hmm? | 假设你是个心怀怨恨的员工 |
[23:50] | You want to strike out at the company, but you don’t want | 你想报复公司 但又不想被发现 |
[23:52] | to get caught, so why not take advantage of the ELM threats | 那为什么不利用地球解放自卫队的恐吓 |
[23:54] | to plant a device of your own, hmm? | 来自己安置一个炸弹呢 |
[23:56] | You get the blast, they get the blame. | 你的目的达到了 却让他们背黑锅 |
[23:58] | No. | 不行 |
[23:59] | No? | 怎么不行 |
[24:00] | No subpoena. | 没有传票 |
[24:01] | If you really want to go poking around at Vanowen S.C., | 你要是真想去佛农公司打探消息 |
[24:04] | you’re gonna have to take it up with them. | 就自己想办法吧 |
[24:15] | I’m sure he’s gonna be here any second. | 我肯定他马上就会到了 |
[24:20] | I really like those… | 我真的很喜欢你那些 |
[24:23] | tattoos. | 纹身 |
[24:27] | You know, I’m just gonna text him again and see where he is. | 我还是发个短信问问他在哪吧 |
[24:35] | 我: 跟阿弗雷多在一起 你在哪 夏洛克·福尔摩斯: 在Vanowen公司 改日再约 | |
[24:39] | I’m really sorry, Alfredo, but it doesn’t look | 真抱歉 阿弗雷多 看样子 |
[24:41] | like Sherlock is coming and joining us today. | 夏洛克今天没办法过来了 |
[24:44] | Be patient. | 耐心点 |
[24:46] | First rule of good sponsorship. | 这是做担保人的首要准则 |
[24:48] | Newcomers like him don’t always understand | 像他那样的新手可能不太了解 |
[24:50] | the scope of the work involved. | 与担保人的合作关系 |
[24:52] | They get frustrated. | 他们会感到沮丧 |
[24:53] | We need to be patient and methodical with him. | 我们对他要有耐心 有方法 |
[24:57] | I was under the impression | 我以为你之前 |
[24:58] | that you’d never been a sponsor before. | 从没做过担保人 |
[25:00] | I haven’t. | 的确没有 |
[25:01] | But I have a great one. | 但我有个了不起的担保人 |
[25:02] | Taught me everything he knows. | 把他所知的一切都教给了我 |
[25:05] | Truth is, I’ve been wanting to be a sponsor for a while now. | 说实话 我想做担保人已经有段日子了 |
[25:09] | People never ask. | 只是别人从来不找我 |
[25:11] | Think it’s because I’m quiet. | 也许是因为我太低调了 |
[25:14] | I can help your friend, Miss Watson. | 我能帮到你的朋友 华生小姐 |
[25:17] | He just needs to give me the chance. | 他只需要给我一个机会 |
[25:30] | Doing okay? | 还顺利吗 |
[25:32] | I am. | 是的 |
[25:33] | And thank you again for allowing me to peruse these files. | 再次感谢你允许我浏览这些文件 |
[25:36] | Oh, it was an easy decision to make. | 这也不是个很难的决定 |
[25:38] | If you think there’s anyone here who has something | 如果你觉得这里有人 |
[25:40] | against this company, I would like to know. | 对公司不利 我肯定想知道 |
[25:48] | You’re a fellow addict, aren’t you? | 你对那个很上瘾 对不对 |
[25:51] | Crosswords. | 填字游戏 |
[25:53] | You couldn’t have figured out those clues | 不然 那天你不可能 |
[25:54] | at my computer the other day if you weren’t. | 猜出我电脑上的字谜 |
[25:57] | I dabble. | 浅尝辄止 |
[25:58] | Well, I wish I could say I just dabbled. | 真希望我也只是浅尝辄止 |
[26:02] | I used to have my habit under control | 过去报纸每日发行一期时 |
[26:03] | back when the papers only issued one a day. | 我还能略微控制我这个嗜好 |
[26:06] | Ever since they put the last 50 years | 可现在他们把过去五十年的 |
[26:08] | of their archives online, I’m a lost cause. | 所有字谜都放在网上 我就收不住了 |
[26:10] | It’s a miracle I get any work done at all. | 我还有时间工作已经是个奇迹了 |
[26:15] | You want sex? | 你想做爱 |
[26:17] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[26:18] | I’m not averse, Ms. Vanowen. | 并非我不愿意 佛农女士 |
[26:20] | I’m just busy. | 我只是太忙了 |
[26:22] | Perhaps we could set an appointment. | 也许我们能另外约个时间 |
[26:24] | You’re flirting. | 你在跟我调情 |
[26:26] | This crossword talk. | 聊填字游戏这些 |
[26:27] | You find me attractive. | 你被我吸引了 |
[26:30] | The feeling is mutual, mostly. | 其实 我也有同感 |
[26:33] | The musculature of your legs | 你的腿部肌肉 |
[26:34] | and your shoulders suggests a certain elasticity I find | 和肩膀所体现出的弹性 让我觉得 |
[26:38] | quite tantalizing. | 很诱人 |
[26:40] | I must warn you, however, a relationship between us | 不过我得事先说明 我们的关系 |
[26:42] | could never go beyond the physical. | 永远不可能超出肉体的享受 |
[26:45] | No offense to you, of course. | 不是你哪里不好 |
[26:46] | It’s just… not my way. | 只是 那不是我的风格 |
[26:51] | Am I interrupting? | 你打扰到你们了吗 |
[26:52] | Nope. | 不 |
[26:55] | Not even a little. | 完全没有 |
[27:02] | Sorry I missed our engagement, Watson. | 抱歉我失约了 华生 |
[27:04] | As you can see, I’m investigating | 如你所见 我在调查 |
[27:05] | the possibility that a Vanowen employee set the bomb. | 佛农的员工安置炸弹的可能性 |
[27:09] | It’s okay– I told Alfredo I’d be in touch, and that | 没关系 我跟阿弗雷多说会保持联系 |
[27:11] | we could reschedule. | 我们可以再约时间 |
[27:20] | Is that the whole piece? | 所有的都在这里吗 |
[27:21] | Pradeep Singh. | 普莱蒂·辛格 |
[27:22] | Hired as a copywriter in December 2003. | 2003年进入公司 做广告撰稿人 |
[27:25] | He was promoted to junior associate in January 2007, | 2007年一月被升为初级助理 |
[27:28] | senior associate in June 2007, | 同年六月升为高级助理 |
[27:31] | and finally associate creative director in March 2008. | 最后在2008年三月成为了助理创意总监 |
[27:35] | I see here that he was written up | 我看到人力资源部 |
[27:37] | by the Human Resources Department on October 10, 2008 | 有记录说2008年十月十日 |
[27:40] | for engaging in a shouting match with you, Mr. Wheeler. | 他与你大吵了一架 维勒先生 |
[27:43] | I see the Human Resources’ report, | 除了人力资源的报告 |
[27:44] | then nothing– no more papers… | 就什么也没有了 |
[27:45] | Yes, that’s because his contract | 对 那是因为他与公司的 |
[27:47] | with this company was terminated. | 合约终止了 |
[27:48] | Because he fought with you? | 因为他跟你吵架 |
[27:49] | Because he disappeared. | 因为他失踪了 |
[27:51] | He came to work, left, never came back. | 下班之后 就再没回来了 |
[27:54] | It was in all the papers at the time. | 当时报纸都有报道 |
[27:56] | The police got involved, never found him. | 警察也介入调查 但没找到他 |
[27:59] | May I ask what sparked the disagreement between | 我能问下你们俩是因为什么问题 |
[28:01] | the two of you? | 发生争执的吗 |
[28:04] | Uh… Pradeep wasn’t happy. | 普莱蒂不太高兴 |
[28:07] | He was a model employee at the beginning, | 他一开始是个模范员工 |
[28:09] | but something changed him. | 但后来他变了 |
[28:10] | He became– I don’t know– arrogant. | 他变得 怎么说呢 很自大 |
[28:13] | He started talking about how he wanted more power | 他开始说 他想要在公司拥有 |
[28:15] | here at the company, more control, | 更大的权力 更多的掌控力 |
[28:17] | and we gave it to him at first. | 起初我们满足他了 |
[28:19] | I mean, Pradeep was a capable guy. | 毕竟普莱蒂确实有能力 |
[28:21] | Then it all changed when he came in asking | 但后来他又来要求18个月内的 |
[28:22] | for his fourth raise in 18 months. | 第四次升职 情况就不一样了 |
[28:26] | Well… you told him enough was enough? | 你跟他说你受够了 |
[28:27] | No, that’s when he snapped. | 不 那时候他发火了 |
[28:29] | He told me I’d be sorry. | 他说我会后悔的 |
[28:32] | And he worked here for about another week, | 然后他又在这里工作了一周 |
[28:33] | and after that, he was gone. | 接着就消失了 |
[28:35] | Never saw him again. | 再也没见过他 |
[28:37] | Pradeep is dead. | 普莱蒂死了 |
[28:39] | He died in 2008. | 死于2008年 |
[28:41] | It was our understanding, | 根据我们的理解 |
[28:42] | Mrs. Singh, that he was never found, | 辛格夫人 他是失踪了 |
[28:44] | alive or dead. | 生死不明 |
[28:46] | My husband loved me very much, just as I loved him. | 我丈夫跟我非常相爱 |
[28:50] | He never would run away. | 他不可能就这么走了 |
[28:53] | I held out hope for him for quite some time, | 一开始我还抱有希望 |
[28:55] | but eventually I had to accept | 但最终我不得不接受 |
[28:57] | that the only possible explanation | 对于他的消失 唯一合理的解释 |
[28:59] | for his disappearance was death. | 就是他已经死了 |
[29:01] | You think he was a victim of foul play. | 你认为他是被人害死的 |
[29:04] | If he had collapsed somewhere, had a heart attack or a stroke, | 如果他只是晕倒了 突发心脏病或中风 |
[29:07] | someone would have found him. | 肯定会有人发现他的 |
[29:09] | Pradeep was murdered. | 普莱蒂是遭人谋杀了 |
[29:11] | Or he snapped– planted a bomb at his workplace, | 或者 他怒火中烧 在公司安了颗炸弹 |
[29:14] | and then dropped off the grid before it detonated. | 然后在引爆前逃之夭夭 |
[29:16] | Do you have any idea who might have wanted | 你知道会有人想要 |
[29:18] | to hurt your husband? | 伤害你丈夫吗 |
[29:19] | No. | 不会的 |
[29:21] | There was the one man at his office he argued with | 他消失前几天的确跟办公室里的 |
[29:24] | a few days before he vanished, | 一个男人有过争执 |
[29:25] | but the police were able to clear him. | 但警察证实那个男人没有嫌疑 |
[29:28] | Other than that, he had no enemies. | 除此之外 他就没有敌人了 |
[29:30] | – He was a… – I’m just curious, Mrs. Singh. | -他是个 -好奇问一句 辛格夫人 |
[29:31] | Have you had any work done in this room since 2008? | 2008年后你有动过这间屋子吗 |
[29:34] | – Work? – Remodeling, | -什么叫动过 – 改建 |
[29:36] | refurbishment, reconstruction. | 翻新 重建 |
[29:37] | No, I haven’t touched it since Pradeep disappeared. | 不 普莱蒂消失后我什么都没改变过 |
[29:40] | Not even to address the mold on the wall behind that cabinet? | 连那柜子后面墙上的霉迹也没处理过 |
[29:44] | – How did you… – The nose knows. | -你怎么 -闻到的 |
[29:47] | Might we take a look in your backyard? | 我们能去后院看看吗 |
[29:49] | Why? | 为什么 |
[29:50] | Formality. | 走程序 |
[30:00] | Actually, I think I’ll just use your facilities first. | 其实我想先用下您的卫生间 |
[30:02] | I think I had a dodgy egg. | 我好像吃了个坏鸡蛋 |
[30:03] | I’ll join you presently. | 我稍后会去找你们 |
[31:01] | It did. | 是的 |
[31:03] | It was nice to be out in the country. | 郊外的感觉真好 |
[31:08] | Would you excuse us a moment? | 能让我们单独谈一会吗 |
[31:09] | – Sure. – Excuse me. | -当然了 -失陪了 |
[31:14] | Mrs. Singh was right– her husband is dead. | 辛格夫人是对的 她的丈夫去世了 |
[31:16] | He has been for quite some time. | 他过世有一段时间了 |
[31:17] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呀 |
[31:19] | The photograph at the end of the mantelpiece, | 壁炉架尾端的那副照片 |
[31:20] | it shows Pradeep and Mrs. Singh sitting on the sofa. | 照片中普莱蒂和辛格夫人坐在沙发上 |
[31:22] | It was taken in the same room that we were sitting in. | 拍摄照片的房间就是我们坐的地方 |
[31:24] | I noticed several discrepancies between the wall | 我注意到照片中的墙 |
[31:26] | in the photograph and the one that we were facing. | 与我们所面对的墙有几处不符 |
[31:28] | The spacing between the paintings was all wrong. | 图画之间的距离前后不一致 |
[31:31] | In the photograph, | 在照片中 |
[31:32] | they were approximately 18 centimeters apart. | 他们的间距大概是18厘米 |
[31:34] | In the room, 12 centimeters. | 房间中则是12厘米 |
[31:36] | There also hang lower now by about 10 centimeters. | 悬挂的位置也降低了大概10厘米 |
[31:38] | Someone took them all down, | 有人把它们都取了下来 |
[31:39] | put them back up again, | 又重新挂了上去 |
[31:40] | didn’t get the measurements right. | 但弄错了照片之间的距离 |
[31:42] | So, Himali moved them? | 所以是海玛丽移动了它们 |
[31:43] | She says she hasn’t had any work done in that room, | 她说她没动过那个房间 |
[31:45] | and when I took the frames off the wall, | 当我把相框从墙上取下来时 |
[31:47] | I saw that she was right– there’s no old nail holes | 我发现确实如此 墙上没有 |
[31:49] | that correspond to the frames’ original arrangement. | 符合相框原始位置的钉孔 |
[31:52] | There is, however, a slight bulge. | 但是墙上有个小鼓包 |
[31:55] | Bulge? | 鼓包 |
[31:56] | The center of the wall is almost imperceptibly convex. | 墙的中心呈细微的拱形 |
[31:59] | Why? | 为什么呢 |
[32:01] | Because the gasses released from | 那是因为普莱蒂·辛格 |
[32:02] | Pradeep Singh’s decomposing body | 腐烂的尸体释放出的气体 |
[32:03] | expanded the plastic sheeting that he’s wrapped in, | 使包裹他的塑料布膨胀 |
[32:04] | pushing outwards. | 将其外推 |
[32:06] | Wait a second. | 且慢 |
[32:07] | Are you telling me that Pradeep is in that wall? | 你是说普莱蒂就在墙里面吗 |
[32:10] | That would explain the mold, too. | 这也能解释霉变 |
[32:11] | – No. – His killer removed insulation | -不会吧 -凶手为了给尸体腾出空间 |
[32:14] | to make space for his body. | 将隔温层移除 |
[32:15] | This created a temperature differential | 这就在夹层与其它层之间 |
[32:16] | between that section and the others, condensation formed… | 产生了气温差 造成冷凝 |
[32:20] | Then mold. | 进而产生霉变 |
[32:21] | Four years ago, Pradeep’s murderer | 四年前 杀害普莱蒂的凶手 |
[32:24] | tore down that section of wall, stashed him inside, | 将墙中夹层拆除 把他塞了进去 |
[32:26] | and then replaced and repainted the drywall. | 然后替换并重新粉刷了墙壁 |
[32:28] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗 |
[32:30] | I’m fairly sure. | 我想当确定 |
[32:42] | Himali Singh didn’t kill her husband. | 海玛丽·辛格没有杀她的丈夫 |
[32:44] | Eyes confirmed she was in Mumbai | 有人证实2008年十月 |
[32:46] | visiting family during most of October ’08. | 她基本都在孟买探亲 |
[32:48] | She didn’t even come home | 直到听说普莱蒂失踪之前 |
[32:49] | until she learned Pradeep was missing. | 她都没回过家 |
[32:52] | Whoever murdered Pradeep at home, | 无论是谁杀了普莱蒂 |
[32:54] | they knew that his wife was out of town. | 他们都知道他的妻子在外地 |
[32:56] | Her trip would’ve provided the privacy and time | 她的旅行为谋杀并掩藏尸体 |
[32:58] | to kill him and stash him away. | 打了掩护 也提供了时间 |
[33:00] | Maybe Singh had a coconspirator, | 也许辛格有个共谋 |
[33:01] | someone he built the bomb with. | 某个跟他一块造炸弹的人 |
[33:03] | Things went south… | 事情进展不顺 |
[33:04] | That’s a reasonable theory, Captain. | 这是个合理的推测 队长 |
[33:06] | Problem is, I no longer think | 问题是我不再认为 |
[33:08] | that Pradeep had anything to do with it. | 普莱蒂跟这事有什么关系 |
[33:12] | What’s that– company newsletter? | 那是什么 公司内部简报 |
[33:14] | Now, that is Pradeep’s desk. | 那是普莱蒂的书桌 |
[33:15] | That is the air vent in which the bomb was concealed, | 那个是掩藏炸弹的通风管道 |
[33:17] | right next to him. | 就在他右边 |
[33:19] | Now, if that had gone off when it was supposed to in 2008, | 如果炸弹在原定时间2008年爆炸的话 |
[33:22] | it would have turned him into so much newly promoted hamburger. | 他就会变成一坨人肉汉堡包 |
[33:25] | Vanowen S.C.’s personnel files showed that | 佛农公司的人事档案显示 |
[33:27] | he did not miss a single day’s work | 直到彻底失踪之前 |
[33:29] | until the moment that he left for good. | 他都没有旷过一天的工 |
[33:31] | That means he spent almost a week | 这意味着2008年十月上旬里 |
[33:33] | in the early part of October 2008 | 有将近一周 |
[33:35] | sitting within spitting distance of a live explosive device. | 他就坐在一个爆炸装置附近 |
[33:39] | You think it was meant for him. | 你认为炸弹是为他准备的 |
[33:41] | Well, it is abundantly clear someone wanted Pradeep dead. | 很明显有人想杀掉普莱蒂 |
[33:44] | The question is, | 问题是 |
[33:46] | who would be willing to go to such lengths and why? | 谁愿意这么不择手段 还有为什么 |
[33:49] | M.E. Confirms Pradeep Singh | 验尸官证实普莱蒂·辛格 |
[33:51] | was killed by a gunshot wound to the chest. | 死于胸部中枪 |
[33:53] | Death was followed by, and I quote, | 原话是 其死后 |
[33:55] | “Pervasive mummification” | “经渗透式木乃伊化处理” |
[33:57] | That’s everything we found in his pockets. | 这是我们从他口袋里找到的所有东西 |
[33:59] | It’s kind of weird– there’s a key on the key chain | 有点奇怪的是 钥匙链上有把钥匙 |
[34:01] | with a button to unlock a car door, | 上面有个能开启车门的按钮 |
[34:02] | but it’s definitely not a car key. | 但那绝不是一把车钥匙 |
[34:06] | No, that is a safety-deposit box key. | 没错 这是保险箱的钥匙 |
[34:09] | You can tell by the teeth. | 从钥匙齿条能看出 |
[34:17] | SLB SLB | |
[34:19] | Sequoia Liberty Bank? | 红杉自由银行 |
[34:21] | Box number 699. | 699号保险箱 |
[34:31] | Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie? | 切奇与钟的下部电影 |
[34:33] | Well, it’s not a good movie, | 这不是部好电影 |
[34:34] | but it didn’t make me want to commit a homicide. | 但至少它没让我想杀人 |
[34:39] | Hmm, the movie is gone. | 电影不见了 |
[34:40] | You see this slot here? | 看见这个槽了吗 |
[34:42] | That’s there to stop you from recording over the tape. | 这是为了防止你进行翻录 |
[34:43] | You put Scotch tape there, it allows you to do so. | 不过把透明胶带贴在这里就可以了 |
[34:47] | Now all we got to do is find a VCR… | 现在我们要做的就是找到一台录放机 |
[34:50] | in 2012. | 在2012年 |
[34:51] | Have you not been to my home yet, Detective Bell? | 你去过我家吗 贝尔警探 |
[34:53] | I maintain several VCRs. | 我保存着几台录放机 |
[34:57] | I like to watch police interrogations | 我喜欢观看70和80年代的 |
[34:59] | from the ’70s and ’80s. | 警方审讯 |
[35:01] | Techniques were rawer back then, and, uh, | 那时候的审讯技巧比较朴实 |
[35:03] | you do, on occasion, learn something useful. | 你时不时地能学到点有用的东西 |
[35:07] | This is one of my CIs; | 这是我的一个秘密线人 |
[35:08] | I’ve been waiting to hear from him on another case. | 我一直在等他的消息 有关另一个案件 |
[35:10] | You mind if I take this in private? | 你介意我私下里讲电话吗 |
[35:12] | My parlor is at your disposal. | 你可以去客厅 |
[35:14] | What up, Carlo? | 怎么了 卡罗 |
[35:18] | So, listen, I texted Alfredo, | 听着 我给阿弗雷多发了短信 |
[35:21] | and we’re all set for tomorrow. | 我们约的明天 |
[35:21] | Coffee at 9:00. | 九点在咖啡馆见 |
[35:24] | Alfredo, yeah, uh, I don’t think that’s going to work out. | 关于阿弗雷多 我不认为会有进展 |
[35:27] | Spark’s no longer there. | 火花已熄灭 |
[35:28] | I think I’m going to have to seek sponsorship elsewhere. | 我认为我得从别的地方找担保人 |
[35:31] | What are you talking about? You hand-picked him. | 你在说什么 你亲自选得他 |
[35:33] | Hmm, we can do better. | 我们能做得更好 |
[35:40] | Is this about us? | 这跟我们有关吗 |
[35:41] | – Is what about us? – Your reluctance to find a sponsor. | -什么跟我们有关 -你不愿意找担保人 |
[35:43] | I’m starting to think you’re being difficult | 我现在觉得你是在故意刁难 |
[35:45] | because you don’t want me to leave. | 因为你不想让我离开 |
[35:46] | You never told me you were funny. | 你没说过你这么有趣 |
[35:48] | You picked Alfredo because you thought | 你选了阿弗雷德 因为你以为 |
[35:49] | I wasn’t gonna like him, | 我不会喜欢他 |
[35:50] | but now that I do, you’re trying to push him away, too. | 但是现在我喜欢他了 你又要拒绝他 |
[35:53] | Okay, what you’re feeling right now– | 我以前体验过 |
[35:54] | I’ve seen it before. | 你现在的感受 |
[35:56] | Clients start to worry about | 客户开始担心 |
[35:57] | what their lives are going to be like | 他们的伙伴离开后 |
[35:58] | after their companion leaves. | 他们的生活会变成什么样子 |
[35:59] | They kind of get a separation anxiety. | 他们像是得了分离焦虑症 |
[36:02] | It’s pretty standard, actually. | 事实上这很普遍 |
[36:04] | I guess, since you’ve never been anything | 我以为既然你当初 |
[36:05] | but opposed to me being here, it… | 那么反对我来这里 |
[36:07] | it never occurred to me that you might feel it, too. | 我没想到你也会有这种感觉 |
[36:11] | I don’t know what you’re on, | 我不知道你怎么想 |
[36:12] | but old me would definitely have wanted some. | 不过以前的我一定会有所渴望 |
[36:15] | – Listen, I am… – You’re back. Excellent. | -听着 我 -你回来了 太好了 |
[36:32] | Hey, is that Pradeep? | 这是普莱蒂吗 |
[36:34] | He looks about… | 他看起来 |
[36:35] | 25 years old there. | 有25岁了 |
[36:36] | Hey, sweetie. | 亲爱的 |
[36:38] | I’m so glad we finally got to have this date. | 我好开心终于跟你在一起了 |
[36:40] | – Me, too. – You ready to party? | -我也是 -准备好了吗 |
[36:41] | – Yes. – She’s a prostitute. | -好了 -她是个妓女 |
[36:43] | That’s interesting. | 有意思 |
[36:44] | High-end, by the looks of it. | 看起来档次不低 |
[36:51] | – You want to help me with this? – Sure. | -能帮我一下吗 -当然 |
[36:57] | Hello, Ms. Vanowen. | 你好 佛农夫人 |
[37:04] | Well, we can keep watching if you’d both like, | 如果你们都喜欢的话我们可以继续看 |
[37:07] | but I’d say we’ve found our bomber. | 不过我觉得我们已经找到了炸弹客 |
[37:15] | All this just so you can ask me a few questions? | 填好了 那么你要问我点什么 |
[37:18] | Just a consent form, ma’am. Standard procedure. | 只是许可表格 例行手续而已 |
[37:23] | So, now you want to tell me what this is all about? | 那你可以告诉我这是为了什么吗 |
[37:25] | Hey, sweetie. I’m so glad we finally got to have this date. | 亲爱的 我好开心终于跟你在一起了 |
[37:29] | – Me, too. – You ready to party? | -我也是 -准备好了吗 |
[37:30] | – Yes. – Good. | -准备好了 -好的 |
[37:33] | I’m sorry. Was that supposed to be me? | 不好意思 那个是我吗 |
[37:35] | I’ve learned since we spoke that you come from modest origins. | 我听说 你来自于一个不那么富裕的家庭 |
[37:39] | Father a contractor, mother a homemaker. | 父亲是承包商 母亲是家庭妇女 |
[37:42] | So, when you got into business school, | 所以 当你去上商学院的时候 |
[37:44] | you needed a source of income. | 你需要有一些收入 |
[37:46] | Something to pay your tuition | 用以支付你的学费 |
[37:47] | and provide you with seed money for your company. | 以及创办公司的启动资金 |
[37:50] | You turned, in your hour of need, | 在需要帮助的时候 你选择了 |
[37:53] | to the world’s oldest profession. | 这个世界上最古老的职业之一 |
[37:55] | Took to it with some gusto, I’d say. | 我觉得其中也伴有些个人喜好 |
[37:58] | Okay, let’s turn this off. | 行了 关掉吧 |
[38:03] | You built a successful new life for yourself | 你成功地为自己开辟了新生活 |
[38:05] | on the ashes of your old one, and no one was any the wiser. | 过去都化作尘埃 没人能做的更好了 |
[38:09] | Until Pradeep Singh got a job at Vanowen. | 直到普莱蒂·辛格在佛农谋得了职位 |
[38:14] | It probably took him a while to realize | 他恐怕花了一段时间才意识到 |
[38:15] | that his new boss was one of the women | 他的上司是他多年前 |
[38:17] | that he had secretly recorded years ago, | 录下亲热视频的人 |
[38:19] | but when he did, he turned the screw. | 但当他发现之后 他很快把握住了机会 |
[38:22] | So to speak. | 可以这么说 |
[38:25] | Three promotions in a year? | 一年内三次晋升 |
[38:28] | That smells like a payoff to me. | 我闻到了敲诈的味道 |
[38:29] | No. I promoted Pradeep because he deserved it. | 不 我晋升普莱蒂是因为那是他应得的 |
[38:35] | Small confession: | 跟你说个小秘密 |
[38:37] | I find the anti- prostitution laws | 我发现这个国家的反娼妓法案 |
[38:38] | in this country rather Victorian. | 相当有维多利亚时代风格 |
[38:40] | Sex is a commodity. | 性是一种商品 |
[38:42] | Why shouldn’t there be a market for it? | 为什么不能公开交易呢 |
[38:43] | But, of course, not everyone thinks like I do. | 不过 当然不是所有人都像我这么想的 |
[38:48] | Which is why | 这也是为什么 |
[38:48] | you had to pay Pradeep until his demands | 你得不断满足普莱蒂的要求 |
[38:51] | escalated past the point that you could meet them. | 直到他的要求超越了你的底限 |
[38:54] | Then you cast about for a way to kill him. | 于是你绞尽脑汁想到了杀掉他的办法 |
[38:58] | Now, you already had threatening letters from the ELM. | 现在 你已经有了自卫队的恐吓信 |
[39:02] | So you built a pipe bomb, planning to blame them. | 你就造了一个土质炸弹 准备嫁祸给他们 |
[39:05] | But when it didn’t detonate, | 但它没有爆炸 |
[39:06] | you simply shot Pradeep and walled him off. | 你就直接射杀了普莱蒂并且藏了起来 |
[39:09] | I imagine it was your father | 我猜是你父亲 |
[39:11] | who taught you how to hang drywall. | 教会你怎么砌石膏墙的 |
[39:14] | That’s very creative, I’ll give you that much. | 很有想象力 我只能跟你说这么多 |
[39:18] | Can he just sling mud at me like this? | 他这么污蔑我没问题吗 |
[39:20] | You can seek counsel at any time, ma’am. | 你随时都可以请律师来 女士 |
[39:23] | Hardly surprising that you were the one | 我对于你提议为佛农 |
[39:24] | to lead the search for new offices for Vanowen S.C. | 找个新办公室一点都不惊讶 |
[39:27] | You were, after all, the only person who knew | 毕竟你是唯一一个 |
[39:28] | that there was an unexploded bomb in the wall. | 知道墙里有炸弹的人 |
[39:30] | You know what? | 我跟你这么说吧 |
[39:31] | I think I will actually call my lawyer. | 我觉得我得打给我的律师了 |
[39:34] | Well, if you do, Ms. Vanowen, | 如果你要打的话 佛农女士 |
[39:36] | you might want to tell him | 你应该告诉他 |
[39:37] | you’re about to be arrested. | 你就要被逮捕了 |
[39:40] | You have an old videotape and some stupid theories. | 一卷旧影带和一堆愚蠢的猜测 |
[39:44] | This is not evidence. | 这不叫证据 |
[39:45] | Yes, well, I found something | 是啊 不过我在包炸弹的 |
[39:46] | on one of the scraps of paper that was used to pack the bomb. | 纸张碎片上发现了一些东西 |
[39:49] | An imprint of the word “Novocain” | 上面有着奴佛卡因字样的痕迹 |
[39:51] | Useful handwriting sample, | 这是很有用的笔迹样本 |
[39:52] | but the message itself, rather opaque, | 不过讯息本身很难懂 |
[39:54] | until one considers your love of crosswords. | 直到我想到你对字谜的热爱 |
[39:57] | Novocain. | 奴佛卡因 |
[39:58] | The answer to 144 across | 那是《纽约时报》上纵横字谜 |
[40:00] | from the New York Times crossword, | 第144个词的答案 |
[40:01] | October 13, 2008. | 日期是2008年10月13日 |
[40:03] | The clue was “Pain’s enemy”” In case you forgot. | 提醒你一下 提示是”疼痛的敌人” |
[40:07] | Now, Detective Bell and the Questioned Documents Unit | 现在贝尔探员以及可疑档案部 |
[40:09] | have just matched it to a handwriting sample you gave us | 将你刚填好的表格上的字迹 |
[40:11] | when you signed your consent form. | 与样本进行了比对 |
[40:16] | Mmm. Detective Bell, the honor is all yours. | 贝尔探员 功劳是你的了 |
[40:18] | Ms. Vanowen, would you face that way, please? | 佛农女士 请你转过身去好吗 |
[40:22] | You are under arrest for the bombing | 你因为涉嫌用炸弹杀死 |
[40:24] | that took the lives of David Preston and Royce Maltz. | 戴夫·普雷斯顿以及罗伊斯·马尔兹而被捕 |
[40:36] | This is a surprise. | 惊喜吧 |
[40:38] | I was on my way over to show you something, | 我当时正要来给你看点东西 |
[40:40] | then I got your message. | 然后就收到了你的消息 |
[40:41] | Yeah, well… nothing personal. | 不要是私人问题 |
[40:44] | I don’t take it personal. It’s okay. | 我没把它当私人问题看 没事 |
[40:46] | But since I’m here… | 不过既然我都来了 |
[40:51] | Ever since I got straightened out, | 自从我出来之后 |
[40:52] | I’ve been picking up work with car companies. | 我与汽车公司搭上了关系 |
[40:54] | I test their security systems. | 我为他们测试安全系统 |
[40:56] | I guess they figure anything that can keep me out | 我估计他们发现能把我挡在外面的系统 |
[40:58] | is good enough for their customers. | 对他们的顾客来说就足够了 |
[41:00] | My last job just came in. | 我最近接到个活 |
[41:03] | Miss Watson tells me that you’re into lock-picking. | 华生小姐告诉我你对撬锁有兴趣 |
[41:05] | I figure maybe you want to give it a shot. | 我觉得你也许想要试一试 |
[41:07] | Well, the truth is, Alfredo, | 事实上 阿弗雷多 |
[41:08] | I’m already quite adept at defeating security systems. | 我已经是破解安保系统的行家了 |
[41:12] | This stuff’s not even on the market yet. | 这个系统都还没有上市呢 |
[41:14] | So, really… | 所以 |
[41:16] | how would you know if you could beat it? | 你怎么知道自己能行 |
[41:25] | You know you want to try. | 你肯定想要试一试的 |
[41:28] | Obviously your idea. | 明显是你的主意 |
[41:30] | Zeroing in on common ground. | 瞄准我们的共同点 |
[41:32] | Hoping it’s enough to make me reconsider him. | 好让我重新考虑他 |
[41:35] | It won’t be. | 没用的 |
[41:37] | What’s the harm in getting to know the guy? | 更了解一个人有什么不好呢 |
[41:42] | One way or the other, | 不管怎样 |
[41:43] | I’m gonna be out of your life in a few weeks. | 我几周后就要离开你的生活了 |
[41:47] | Maybe you’re dreading that day; | 也许你对那一天感到恐惧 |
[41:48] | maybe you’re counting the seconds. | 又或许你已经在心中倒计时了 |
[41:51] | Either way, I’m going to make sure | 不论如何 我会在那一刻到来之前 |
[41:53] | you’re ready when the time comes. | 确保你已经做好了准备 |
[41:57] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[42:03] | If I help him with his assignment, | 如果我帮他完成任务 |
[42:04] | it does not mean I am assenting to his sponsorship. | 并不代表着我同意跟他合作 |
[42:07] | Of course it doesn’t. | 当然不 |
[42:08] | I am quite self-sufficient. | 我很独立的 |
[42:10] | Of course you are. | 当然了 |
[42:28] | Factory-installed immobilizer | 厂家原装的防盗器 |
[42:29] | or after-market tracking system? | 还是售后追踪系统 |
[42:31] | Not telling. | 不告诉你 |
[42:35] | That’s quite all right. | 没关系 |
[42:37] | I’ll just figure it out for myself. | 我自己能搞清楚 |
[42:42] | I’m entirely self-sufficient, you know. | 我是完全能独立解决问题的 |