时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | See that aspiring model there? | 看见那个满怀抱负的模特没 |
[00:03] | That was me – Deb – | 那就是我 黛比 |
[00:05] | until the day I died. | 直到我死的那天 |
[00:07] | I thought I’d go straight to heaven, | 我以为我会直接上天堂 |
[00:09] | but there was a bit of a mix-up | 但是出了点小乱子 |
[00:10] | and I woke up in someone else’s body. | 结果我在别人的躯体中醒来 |
[00:13] | So now I’m Jane, | 所以现在我成了简 |
[00:15] | A super-busy lawyer with my very own assistant. | 一名拥有个人助理的超忙律师 |
[00:18] | I got a new life, a new wardrobe, | 我有了新的生活 新的衣着 |
[00:20] | And the only people who really know what’s going on with me | 而唯一知道真相的人 |
[00:22] | are my girlfriend Stacy | 是我的闺蜜史黛西 |
[00:24] | and my guardian angel, Fred. | 还有我的守护天使弗雷德 |
[00:25] | I used to think everything happened for a reason… | 我一直觉得世间万事必有其因 |
[00:29] | …and, well, I sure hope I was right. | 好吧 我真希望我没想错 |
[00:45] | Hi…Bill. | 你好 比尔 |
[00:47] | This is Jane…Bingum. | 我是简…宾格温 |
[00:49] | Um, I was just checking in to see how you’re doing… | 我就是想打个电话看看你是否还好 |
[00:54] | Since yesterday morning when you left my house | 因为你昨天早上从我家离开的时候 |
[00:56] | and said you’d call. | 说你会打给我 |
[00:58] | Anyway, um, call me. | 不管怎样 打给我 |
[01:03] | – What was that? – Nothing. | -什么事啊 -没事 |
[01:05] | – You just next-day dialed the doctor, didn’t you? – No. | -在约会第二天就打给那医生了吧 -才没 |
[01:08] | Maybe. | 算是吧 |
[01:08] | And you slept with him on the first date. | 而且第一次约会你就和他滚床单了 |
[01:10] | Oh, my god. Did Stacy tell you? | 我的天啊 史黛西告诉你了 |
[01:12] | No, it was just a guess — that paid off. | 没 猜猜而已 看来猜中了 |
[01:15] | So, you must be feeling… | 所以说 你一定觉得自己… |
[01:16] | Please don’t say “dirty” or “whore-y.” | 请别说”低贱”或”随便” |
[01:18] | I was gonna say, “on fire.” | 我本来想说”干柴烈火” |
[01:20] | Teri, he still hasn’t called yet. | 泰丽 他还没给我打电话呢 |
[01:23] | Is everything set for Grayson’s bachelor dinner party? | 格雷森的单身派对都准备就绪了吗 |
[01:25] | Four courses — elegant and dignified just like you asked. | 四道菜 优雅有品 照你吩咐做的 |
[01:28] | Perfect. And my 2:00? | 太好了 我两点预约的客户呢 |
[01:30] | – Already in your office. – Thank you. | -已经在你办公室了 -谢谢 |
[01:34] | – Good afternoon. – Good afternoon. | -下午好 -下午好 |
[01:38] | Hi. I am Jane Bingum. | 你好 我是简·宾格温 |
[01:41] | – Hi. – How can I help you? | -你好 -我能为你做些什么呢 |
[01:43] | Well… we want to sue a sperm bank. | 我们想起诉一家精子库 |
[01:45] | Wait, I know what you’re thinking — | 慢着 我知道你在想什么 |
[01:48] | “Yawn. Another dwarf suing a sperm bank.” | “无聊 又一个起诉精子库的侏儒” |
[01:51] | Eli. | 伊莱 |
[01:52] | I conceived my son with the help of a company | 我在一家名叫泽果来福的公司的帮助下 |
[01:54] | named Zygolife. | 怀上了我儿子 |
[01:55] | I’m sorry. Please sit down. | 抱歉 快请坐 |
[01:57] | Here’s the thing — I have a wonderful child — | 事情是这样的 我生了个非常棒的孩子 |
[02:00] | Perfect, really — | 其实应该说是完美 |
[02:01] | Mom, seriously, you don’t have to qualify. | 妈 说真的 你不用说得那么含蓄 |
[02:05] | Ms. Bingum, despite my “perfection,” | 宾格温小姐 我虽然”完美” |
[02:08] | I was born with some issues. | 但却有些先天性问题 |
[02:09] | You probably haven’t noticed, but… | 你可能没有注意到 但是… |
[02:10] | I’m a little person. | 我是个袖珍人 |
[02:12] | Wow. You don’t say. | 哇 你没说都没看出来 |
[02:14] | The problem isn’t being small. | 个子矮并不是问题所在 |
[02:16] | It’s the associated medical conditions — | 随之而来的病痛才是真正的问题 |
[02:18] | Scoliosis, early onset arthritis. | 脊柱侧弯 早发关节炎 |
[02:20] | The official diagnosis is achondroplasia. | 官方诊断是软骨发育不全 |
[02:23] | I put together the relevant information. | 我把相关信息整合在了一起 |
[02:28] | Achondroplasia is caused by the mutation | 软骨发育不全是由于一种叫做FGR-3的 |
[02:31] | in a growth factor receptor called FGR-3. | 生长因子受体发生突变而引起的 |
[02:34] | And I’ll need physical therapy | 而我的余生都得需要 |
[02:36] | and medication for the rest of my life. | 进行物理治疗和药物治疗 |
[02:38] | Well, that costs money. | 那得花好大一笔钱 |
[02:39] | Life costs money. We’re doing okay. | 生活本身就要花钱 我们现在过得挺好 |
[02:42] | You’re working three jobs, mom. | 你现在打了三份工 妈 |
[02:44] | She doesn’t have the mutation. | 她并没有突变现象 |
[02:46] | So the only explanation is Zygolife’s Sperm. | 所以唯一的解释就是泽果来福公司的精子有问题 |
[02:50] | Now, check this out. | 你来看看这个 |
[02:52] | They promised “state-of-the-art genetic screening.” | 他们承诺拥有”最先进的基因筛选手段” |
[02:57] | This is impressive. | 真让人佩服 |
[02:59] | I have a lot of time waiting for doctor’s appointments. | 除了接受治疗之外 我有大把的时间 |
[03:02] | The point is — Zygolife screwed up, | 关键在于 泽果来福公司出了纰漏 |
[03:05] | and we want to take them to court. | 而我们想把他们告上法庭 |
[03:11] | Okay. | 好的 |
[03:22] | Kaswell. | 卡斯维 |
[03:23] | Parker? | 帕克 |
[03:24] | I was just in the neighborhood | 我正好在附近 |
[03:25] | and thought I would drop by to return this. | 就想着应该过来把这个还你 |
[03:28] | Are you crazy?! | 你疯了吗 |
[03:31] | This is my place of work. | 这是我工作的地方 |
[03:33] | But I’m actually glad you’re here. | 但我其实挺高兴你能过来的 |
[03:35] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[03:35] | Yes, I’m interviewing at other firms. | 对 我正在参加别的公司的面试 |
[03:39] | I’ve heard. | 我听说了 |
[03:40] | Then why the hell are you | 那你究竟为什么 |
[03:41] | ignoring my request for recommendations? | 一直都不给我写推荐信 |
[03:43] | I’ve been busy. | 我最近很忙 |
[03:45] | But not too busy to return my panties. | 但还有时间来还我内裤 |
[03:48] | Thank you very much. | 非常感谢 |
[03:51] | Welcome. | 不谢 |
[03:57] | Hey, you. | 你好啊 |
[03:58] | Hey, you. | 你好啊 |
[04:00] | So, I’m just making sure | 我只是过来确认一下 |
[04:01] | that we are still on for drinks | 你的单身派对之后 |
[04:03] | with my dad after your bachelor party. | 我们还是要去和我爸喝酒的吧 |
[04:06] | Not a party. Just a dinner. | 不是派对 只不过是吃顿饭 |
[04:08] | – Right. – And, yes, see you guys at 10:00. | -对 -没错 我们10点见 |
[04:11] | Um, can I — can I ask you a favor? | 你能…你能帮我个忙吗 |
[04:14] | Anything. | 什么都行 |
[04:16] | Well, I think that my dad was just a little disappointed | 我觉得 我爸因为你没去征求他的意见 |
[04:19] | that you didn’t check with him. | 有点失望 |
[04:22] | He wants me to ask for your hand? | 他希望我向他提亲吗 |
[04:24] | I know. I know it’s old-fashioned. | 我知道 我知道这早都过时了 |
[04:26] | But he’s a judge. He likes tradition and ritual. | 但他是个法官 喜欢遵循传统和老规矩 |
[04:29] | And you’re sure you don’t mind me | 你不介意我把你 |
[04:30] | treating you like a piece of property? | 当做我的私有财产来对待吗 |
[04:31] | Oh, absolutely. Demand my hand, please. | 绝对不介意 去提亲吧 拜托了 |
[04:36] | Hey, but if he says no, | 但是万一他不同意 |
[04:37] | I’ll offer him two goats and a mule. | 我就拿两头山羊和一头骡子和他交换 |
[04:38] | Not funny. | 这可不好笑 |
[04:42] | Oh. Got to go. | 要走了 |
[04:43] | Okay. Bye. | 好 再见 |
[04:46] | Love you. | 爱你 |
[04:47] | I love you, too. | 我也爱你 |
[04:49] | First course — Prosciutto Di Parma, | 第一道菜是意式帕尔玛火腿 |
[04:51] | which I know you love. | 我知道这是你的大爱 |
[04:52] | Second course — Ricotta-and-Egg Ravioli, | 第二道菜是乳清干酪蛋方饺 |
[04:55] | which you’ve never had, but you’ll love. | 这菜你虽然没吃过 但会喜欢的 |
[04:56] | Third course — Lobster Alla Diavolo, | 第三道菜是意大利龙虾烤鸡 |
[04:58] | my personal favorite. | 这是我个人的最爱 |
[05:00] | And for dessert — rosemary olive-oil cakes. | 甜点是迷迭香橄榄油蛋糕 |
[05:02] | Sounds perfect. | 听上去棒极了 |
[05:03] | I know, right? | 很棒对吧 |
[05:05] | Ah, there he is, the man of the hour. | 他来了 我们的男主角 |
[05:07] | It better last more than an hour, | 这派对最好能比一小时长 |
[05:08] | ’cause we have a lot to eat. | 因为我们要吃的东西可不少 |
[05:10] | Good news, people. There’s been a change of plans. | 好消息 计划有变 |
[05:13] | – What? – I canceled the restaurant | -什么 -我把餐厅的预定取消了 |
[05:14] | and re-booked us at La Muse Gentlemen’s Club. | 然后重新在缪斯女神男士俱乐部订了位子 |
[05:17] | Limo is waiting downstairs. | 加长轿车在楼下等着呢 |
[05:18] | – What– – Awesome. | -什么 -棒极了 |
[05:19] | What’s a gentlemen’s club? | 男士俱乐部是个什么东西 |
[05:20] | – Teri. – No. | -泰丽 -不 |
[05:21] | Going to a club with half-naked women bouncing around | 去俱乐部看一群半裸的女人扭来扭去 |
[05:25] | is not what Grayson wants for his bachelor party. | 并不是格雷森想要的单身汉派对 |
[05:27] | It’s what every man wants for his bachelor party. | 这是所有男人都想要的单身汉派对 |
[05:29] | Am I right? | 我说得对吗 |
[05:33] | No arguing with the boss. | 不能跟老板顶嘴 |
[05:53] | Cute outfit. | 衣服真不错 |
[05:55] | It comes in four colors. | 一共有四种颜色呢 |
[05:57] | I know. I have it in the other three. | 我知道 其它三种颜色我都有 |
[06:00] | Freddy, show her some love. | 弗雷德 你也来爱她一下 |
[06:09] | I’m good. | 还是算了 |
[06:11] | God, I miss law school. | 天啊 我可真怀念在法学院的日子 |
[06:14] | Hey, Vanessa. Sorry for the voicemail. | 瓦内萨 抱歉没听到你给我打电话 |
[06:17] | But Parker kind of changed things up. | 帕克把计划改了 |
[06:19] | It’s gonna be a late night. | 今天可能会玩到很晚 |
[06:21] | How about lunch tomorrow? | 明天一起吃午饭怎么样 |
[06:23] | You, me, your dad — | 你 我和你父亲 |
[06:24] | and I-I promise I’ll ask for your hand. | 我保证会向他提亲的 |
[06:31] | You okay? | 你还好吧 |
[06:34] | Smoke aggravates my asthma. | 烟雾加重了我的哮喘 |
[06:36] | You should tell your boss. | 你应该告诉你的老板 |
[06:38] | That would be Bobby Z. | 你说的是波比·Z. |
[06:39] | And he could care less. | 他才不会关心 |
[06:42] | Come on, hon. That pole ain’t gonna make any money on its own. | 来吧宝贝儿 那根钢管可不会自己赚钱 |
[06:45] | I need some fresh air, Bobby. | 我得呼吸点新鲜空气 波比 |
[06:47] | On your own time. | 等下班再去 |
[06:51] | Jerk. | 混蛋 |
[06:52] | My advice — | 我的建议是 |
[06:54] | Mention California Labor Section 6400 | 跟那混蛋提一下《加州劳工法案》 |
[06:56] | to the jerk. | 第640条 |
[06:57] | – You’re a lawyer? – Yeah. | -你是个律师 -对 |
[07:00] | – Well, so is he. – Good. | -他也是 -很好 |
[07:01] | Then he knows that the law says, | 那他就知道法律条文上写着 |
[07:03] | “An employer must provide a place of employment | “雇主须向雇员提供一个 |
[07:05] | that’s both safe and healthful.” | 健康且安全的工作场所” |
[07:07] | Good to know, Mr… | 很高兴知道这些 你是… |
[07:10] | Kent. Grayson Kent. | 肯特 格雷森·肯特 |
[07:12] | Do you want a lap dance… on the house? | 你想来段膝上艳舞吗 免费的 |
[07:15] | Thanks, but I should get back to my bachelor party. | 谢了 我该回到我的单身派对了 |
[07:20] | Oh, no, thank you. Okay. | 不用了 谢谢你 好吧 |
[07:22] | Okay. All right. | 好了 好吧 |
[07:25] | Nice french tips. Tips. | 你的法式美甲很漂亮 指甲 |
[07:29] | Honey, you got to loosen up. | 亲爱的 你得放松点 |
[07:31] | Yeah! Be cool, Jane! | 对啊 自在点 简 |
[07:32] | I’m loose! I’m cool! | 我很放松 我很自在 |
[07:36] | Is that liquid eyeliner? | 你用的是眼线液吗 |
[07:38] | ‘Cause I-I’ve always been afraid to try it. | 我一直不敢用那东西 |
[07:41] | Start from the center of the eye and work your way out. It’s easy. | 从眼睛中间开始往两边画 很简单的 |
[07:44] | I will try that. Thank you. | 我会试试的 谢谢 |
[07:46] | Oh, God, I got to grab this | 天哪 我得接个电话 |
[07:47] | ’cause it could be the doctor. | 有可能是医生打来的 |
[07:49] | I mean, not my doctor. | 不是我的医生 |
[07:49] | Well, he’s kind of my — | 怎么说呢 他算是我的… |
[07:50] | I don’t really know, ’cause we’re kind of dating | 其实我也不知道 我们算是在约会 |
[07:53] | but we’re not really dat– | 但也算不上真正的约会… |
[07:54] | Oh! Oh, god! | 天啊 |
[07:58] | Excuse me. Sorry. | 借过一下 对不起 |
[08:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢啊 |
[08:11] | Hey, watch it. | 小心点 |
[08:12] | Oh, God. | 天哪 |
[08:23] | Hey, sweetie, has the doctor called? | 亲爱的 那医生打电话给你了吗 |
[08:26] | Uh, no. No, not — not yet. | 没有 没有 目前还没 |
[08:29] | – Why is it so loud at the restaurant? What?! | -为什么餐厅会那么吵 -什么 |
[08:32] | I can’t hear you! | 我听不见你说话 |
[08:34] | Well, I can’t hear you! | 我听不见你说话 |
[08:35] | Hey! That’s what I just said! | 我刚刚说过这句话 |
[08:37] | Stacy, I can’t even hear you! Stacy! | 史黛西 我根本听不到你说话 史黛西 |
[08:40] | Well, have fun. | 好好玩吧 |
[08:41] | Oh, bring home some dessert. | 带点甜点回来 |
[08:43] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:07] | Well, I am off to work. | 我要去上班了 |
[09:10] | – Good morning. – It certainly is, Jane. | -早上好 -好得没话说 简 |
[09:12] | Fred, Fred, ah. You forgot your — | 弗雷德 弗雷德 你忘了你的… |
[09:14] | Oh, my tie. Yes. | 我的领带 没错 |
[09:16] | Thank you, my love. | 谢谢你 亲爱的 |
[09:21] | Everything seems hunky-dory. | 一切看起来都非常美好 |
[09:24] | You’d think so, but no. | 看着不错 其实不然 |
[09:26] | Not hunky. Not dory. | 既不美 也不好 |
[09:28] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 |
[09:29] | I think Fred is hiding something. | 我觉得弗雷德在隐瞒什么事 |
[09:32] | Every time I ask him about his past, | 每次我问起他的过去 |
[09:34] | he changes the subject or distracts me with sex. | 他就会转换话题或者用做爱分散我的注意力 |
[09:37] | Oh. Well, you know, Fred is a — | 你知道的 弗雷德是个… |
[09:40] | He — he’s a very private person. | 他是个很注重隐私的人 |
[09:42] | Or he’s not who he claims to be. | 或者他并不是自己所说的那个人 |
[09:45] | Well, who else would he be? | 那他还能是谁 |
[09:47] | You’ve never heard of witness protection | 你有没有听说过证人保护计划 |
[09:50] | or the C.I.A. | 或者中情局 |
[09:51] | Or “Mrs. Doubtfire”? | 再或是《窈窕奶爸》 |
[09:52] | Stacy, no. It — | 史黛西 别瞎想 |
[09:54] | Then why won’t he tell me anything personal? | 那他为什么从不提他的私事 |
[09:57] | You know him. W-what do you think? | 你对他很了解 你怎么看这事 |
[10:00] | Um, I think, I need to get to court. | 我觉得我得上庭了 |
[10:05] | I’m suing a sperm bank on behalf of a little person. | 我要代表一个袖珍人起诉一家精子库 |
[10:08] | You have a great job. | 你的工作很伟大 |
[10:10] | I know. How’d I get so lucky? | 是吧 我怎么会那么走运 |
[10:12] | Oh, yeah. I crashed into a truck. | 想起来了 因为我出车祸了 |
[10:14] | Bye. | 再见 |
[10:15] | Bye. | 再见 |
[10:22] | – Remember me? – Of course. | -还记得我吗 -当然 |
[10:23] | The asthmatic dancer. | 得了哮喘的舞娘 |
[10:25] | Said the lousy lawyer. | 你真是个差劲的律师 |
[10:26] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[10:27] | I complained about the smoke machine, and I got fired. | 我投诉了烟雾器 结果却被解雇了 |
[10:30] | What? Employees can’t be fired for asserting their rights. | 什么 雇员不能因维护自己的权利而被解雇 |
[10:32] | My boss, Bobby Z, said that I’m not an employee. | 我老板波比·Z说我不是他的雇员 |
[10:36] | He said that I’m an “independent…” | 他说我是个”独立的” |
[10:37] | “…contractor.” | “承包人” |
[10:39] | Which is what employers call their employees | 雇主打法律的擦边球时 |
[10:41] | when they want to dodge the laws. | 都会这么称呼自己的雇员 |
[10:42] | So… where does that leave me? | 那我该怎么办 |
[10:45] | With a lawsuit. | 只能上诉 |
[10:47] | I’ll get you an expedited hearing today. | 我今天就能帮你申请到听证会 |
[10:50] | Oh, that is, if you don’t mind | 希望你不介意 |
[10:52] | being represented by a “lousy lawyer.” | 由”差劲的律师”代表你出庭 |
[10:53] | I’m sorry. That was mean. | 很抱歉 我说话太刻薄了 |
[10:56] | I have to reschedule a lunch with my father-in-law-to-be, | 我得先和我未来的岳父另约时间吃午餐 |
[10:59] | and then we’ll head to court. | 然后我们就去法庭 |
[11:01] | I’m gonna meet you there. | 我们法庭见 |
[11:02] | I want to pick up my lucky pumps. | 我想先去取我的幸运舞鞋 |
[11:04] | Judges love ’em. | 法官都喜欢 |
[11:11] | 17 years ago, Eli Haller was born. | 17年前 伊莱·哈勒降临人世 |
[11:14] | But because of a negligent failure by the defendant, | 可由于被告的过失 |
[11:18] | his mother now bears the financial burden of paying | 使得他的母亲为支付他治疗的相关费用 |
[11:20] | for the associated costs due to his medical conditions | 如今背负上了沉重的经济负担 |
[11:23] | that could have been prevented. | 这原本是完全可以避免的 |
[11:25] | On behalf of Zygolife Incorporated, | 我代表泽果来福股份有限公司 |
[11:27] | I move for summary judgement. | 我直接跳到即决判决 |
[11:27] | 即决判决:指当事人无须经完全的开庭审理 即可获得的关于案件实体问题的终局有拘束力的判决 | |
[11:28] | Plaintiff has failed to state | 原告未能陈述 |
[11:29] | a cause of action upon which relief can be granted. | 我方需给予救济金的诉由 |
[11:32] | The cause of action is negligence — | 诉由就是被告出现过失 |
[11:35] | straightforward and demonstrable. | 这显而易见 有理有据 |
[11:37] | She may be calling it “negligence,” | 对方律师称之为”过失” |
[11:39] | But this is actually a wrongful-life suit — | 可这实际上是个不当生命诉讼案 |
[11:39] | 不当生命诉讼案:因医生的产前诊断过失 导致先天残疾孩子出生而由后者提起的索赔诉讼 | |
[11:41] | She’s saying Ms. Haller should never have given birth to her son. | 她在控诉哈勒太太不该生下她的儿子 |
[11:44] | Such suits are barred, per California Civil Code 43.6. | 根据加州民法43章第6条 这种诉讼是禁止的 |
[11:48] | We are not suing for wrongful life, | 我们并非起诉不正当生命权 |
[11:51] | Only for the medical costs | 而只是为了争取 |
[11:52] | associated with Mr. Haller’s conditions. | 因哈勒先生的病情而产生的医疗费用 |
[11:54] | – It amounts to the same thing. – No, but — | -这两者并无差别 -不 可是… |
[11:57] | Sorry. I agree. This avenue is closed. | 抱歉 我同意被告方观点 休庭 |
[12:07] | I-I’m sorry | 对不起 |
[12:09] | It’s okay, Ms. Bingum. | 没关系 宾格温小姐 |
[12:11] | – I will come up with another way. – No. | -我会想其它办法 -不用 |
[12:12] | – Mom! – You heard the judge. | -妈 -你刚才也听到了 |
[12:15] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[12:28] | What are you doing here? | 你来干什么 |
[12:30] | I have been a bad guardian angel. | 我一直是个不称职的守护天使 |
[12:32] | Well, we all know that’s true. | 这不是明摆着的吗 |
[12:33] | Why the sudden realization? | 怎么突然觉悟了 |
[12:35] | Teri told me you were stressing out because you haven’t heard back | 那位和你一夜激情的医生没给你回信 |
[12:37] | from the did-it-on-the-first-date doctor. | 泰利告诉我你因为这事很紧张 |
[12:39] | Um, he’s a neurosurgeon. And what are you gonna do about it? | 他可是名神经外科医生 你想怎么样 |
[12:42] | I could offer advice. | 我能给你意见 |
[12:44] | I could listen. I am at your service. | 我能倾听你的心声 为你效劳 |
[12:47] | Okay, yeah, I think I liked you better | 好吧 其实你只管忙活自己的事时 |
[12:49] | When you were more self-absorbed. | 我更喜欢你 |
[12:50] | – Did you call him? – Yes. | -你给他打电话了吗 -打了 |
[12:52] | Maybe he didn’t get the message. You should call him again. | 他可能没注意到 你该再打给他 |
[12:54] | I called four times. | 我已经打了四次了 |
[12:56] | Maybe I should have gotten to you sooner. | 或许我该早点来找你 |
[12:57] | You know, Fred, right now | 弗雷德 此时此刻 |
[12:59] | Maybe you should focus on your own relationship. | 或许你该专注在你自己的感情问题上 |
[13:02] | What? Why? It’s amazing. | 什么 为什么 我们感情好极了 |
[13:05] | Do you know something? | 你是不是有事瞒着我 |
[13:06] | Stacy thinks you have a secret | 史黛西觉得你藏着秘密 |
[13:07] | because you never talk about your past. | 因为你从不谈论自己的过去 |
[13:09] | I’m a guardian angel. I don’t have a past. | 我是个守护天使 就没有过去 |
[13:10] | Well, you better figure out something to say | 那你最好在感情破裂前 |
[13:11] | before this all ends badly. | 赶紧想一套说辞 |
[13:16] | Would she believe | 她会相信 |
[13:16] | that I’m a Romanian gymnast who didn’t have a childhood? | 我是个失去童年的罗马尼亚体操运动员吗 |
[13:19] | Keep working on it. | 换个更有说服力的 |
[13:23] | Your honor, Sierra Santell is an employee | 法官大人 塞拉·桑特尔是一名雇员 |
[13:25] | and therefore entitled to the protections | 因此有权享有国家法所规定的 |
[13:27] | afforded employees by state law. | 雇员本应受到的保护 |
[13:30] | Dancers like Sierra have historically | 像西塞拉这样的舞娘 |
[13:31] | been considered independent contractors. | 向来都被认为是独立承包人 |
[13:33] | They come and go as they choose. | 她们来去自由 |
[13:35] | They move from club to club | 可随意选择俱乐部 |
[13:37] | And therefore are not employees. | 因此算不上雇员 |
[13:39] | In Hart vs. Rick’s Cabaret, | 在哈特与里克餐馆的案件中 |
[13:41] | A federal judge defined an employee as | 一位联邦法官将雇员定义为 |
[13:43] | working for someone who “has complete control | 其雇主为”对工作场所活动 |
[13:46] | over workplace activities.” | 有绝对掌控权”的人 |
[13:47] | Here, my client’s employer determined where she worked, | 而我委托人的雇主决定了她的工作场所 |
[13:50] | when she worked… | 她的工作时间… |
[13:51] | And he also picked my music. | 我的配乐也是他挑选的 |
[13:53] | And in the bathroom, there’s a sign | 而且 在洗手间里有个指示牌 |
[13:55] | for all employees to wash their hands — which I do. | 提醒所有员工洗手 我服从了指示 |
[14:01] | There you have it. | 情况就是这样 |
[14:02] | By law, she is an employee — | 依据法律 她是一名雇员 |
[14:04] | with clean hands. | 并有着洁净的双手 |
[14:07] | I agree. | 我同意辩方观点 |
[14:08] | Ms. Santell is hereby reinstated as an employee at la muse, | 根据法律规定 桑特尔小姐就此恢复雇员身份 |
[14:12] | with all benefits retroactive to the date of hire. | 并享受从雇佣关系成立起的所有福利 |
[14:15] | Uh, Ms. Santell? | 对了 桑特尔小姐 |
[14:17] | Love the shoes. | 我很喜欢你的鞋 |
[14:19] | Told you. | 我就说嘛 |
[14:24] | How does this sound? | 这样写如何 |
[14:25] | “In conclusion, Kim Kaswell | “综上所述 金·卡斯维 |
[14:27] | “is not just a brilliant lawyer and an inspiring leader, | 不仅辩护能力出色 还具有卓越的领导力 |
[14:30] | she is one of the most decent human beings I have ever met.” | 她是我见过最正派的人之一” |
[14:33] | What are you doing? | 这是什么啊 |
[14:34] | I heard Parker’s refusing to write recommendations on Kim’s behalf, | 我听说帕克不愿给金写推荐信 |
[14:37] | so I thought we could do it. | 那我们可以帮她写 |
[14:39] | Why would we want to do it? | 我们为什么要帮她写 |
[14:41] | ‘Cause if she gets a job at another firm, | 如果她去了其它的事务所 |
[14:43] | she won’t be coming back here. | 就不会再回来了 |
[14:44] | I thought you would like the idea. | 我这是在帮你啊 |
[14:46] | No. | 不是 |
[14:48] | It’s not that. I let Eli down. | 不是这个问题 我让伊莱失望了 |
[14:51] | My motion on the Haller case got rejected | 哈勒一案的诉求被驳回的速度 |
[14:54] | faster than Galliano’s Spring Collection. | 比加利亚诺的春装下架还快 |
[14:57] | My cousin used a sperm bank. Totally state-of-the-art. | 我亲戚也去过那种”最先进的”的精子库 |
[15:00] | She wanted a baby half-Korean, half-Brazilian. | 她想要一个韩国和巴西混血的宝宝 |
[15:02] | Now she’s got a math whiz with a totally hot bod. | 后来生的孩子兼具数学天赋和健美身材 |
[15:05] | Mark my words — custom-made babies | 记住我的话 “订制”宝宝 |
[15:07] | are the natural evolution of our culture. | 是人类文明自然进化的趋势 |
[15:10] | When they make ones that don’t cry, sign me up. | 如果哪天能造出不哭不闹的 我就生一个 |
[15:14] | Teri, you are a genius. | 泰丽 你是个天才 |
[15:16] | I know. Why? | 我知道啊 怎么了 |
[15:18] | Send ZygoLife a notice of discovery demanding information | 书面通知泽果来福 要求对方提供 |
[15:21] | on how they screened their sperm in 1993. | 1993年对精子进行筛选的手段 |
[15:23] | Okay. | 好 |
[15:24] | Then call Molly Haller and tell her I’m on my way. | 然后通知莫莉·哈勒我要过去 |
[15:26] | We just got a new cause of action. | 我们有一个新的诉由 |
[15:28] | Which is… | 是什么 |
[15:29] | ZygoLife claimed that their “product” was state-of-the-art. | 既然泽果来福声称他们的”产品”是最先进的 |
[15:33] | We’re suing for product liability. | 我们就提起产品责任诉讼 |
[15:35] | You want to compare my son to a busted toaster? | 你拿我儿子和劣质的烤箱相提并论 |
[15:38] | A toaster? No. | 烤箱 不是的 |
[15:41] | Yes and no. | 既是也不是 |
[15:43] | We are suing for product liability | 提起产品责任诉讼 |
[15:45] | as a way around ZygoLife’s defense. | 就能让泽果来福的辩词不攻自破 |
[15:47] | – That’s awesome. – No, it’s repulsive. | -太好了 -简直不可接受 |
[15:49] | It’s a means to an end. | 这只是一种手段 |
[15:51] | It’s what I’ve been fighting against since Eli was born. | 从伊莱出生起 我一直在为他争取别人的尊重 |
[15:54] | He’s not a defective product. | 他不是一件有瑕疵的产品 |
[15:55] | I am not saying he’s defective, absolutely not. | 我没说他有瑕疵 我不是那个意思 |
[15:58] | I’m saying that ZygoLife’s state-of-the-art process | 我想说的是泽果来福所谓”最先进的”技术 |
[16:02] | was defective. | 是有瑕疵的 |
[16:03] | That’s splitting hairs. | 你这是咬文嚼字 |
[16:04] | – Mom — – I’m sorry. | -妈 -我很抱歉 |
[16:06] | No one’s ever gonna say that | 我不许任何人说 |
[16:07] | you are not perfect just the way you are. | 你现在这个样子不好 |
[16:11] | Please leave. | 请走吧 |
[16:12] | Come on. | 咱们走 |
[16:28] | – Hello. – Hi. | -你好 -你好 |
[16:31] | Eli, you scared me. I-I didn’t see you come in. | 伊莱 你吓到我了 我没看见你进来 |
[16:34] | No one did. I’m desk height. | 别人也没看见 我和桌子一样高 |
[16:36] | Right. | 也对 |
[16:37] | The product-liability angle, let’s do it. | 就按你说的 提起产品责任诉讼 |
[16:40] | Okay, I really do want to help you, but your mom said no. | 我倒是愿意帮你 但你妈妈不同意 |
[16:44] | You think we can win, right? | 我们会胜诉的 对吧 |
[16:45] | I think we’d have a shot. | 我只能说有胜诉的机会 |
[16:47] | This morning, we got an eviction notice. | 今天早上 我们被房东下了驱逐令 |
[16:50] | Three jobs — | 我妈打三份工 |
[16:51] | and my mom can’t afford rent and… me. | 还是付不起房租和我的治疗费用 |
[16:55] | This isn’t getting any better, and you could do something about it. | 你可以帮我们改善现在的处境 |
[16:58] | Not without your mom. | 但需要你母亲的协助 |
[17:00] | If the judge says he’ll let this go forward, | 如果法官同意继续诉讼的请求 |
[17:02] | then I’ll talk to her. | 那我就去和我妈谈 |
[17:04] | I don’t want to upset her unless it’s for real. | 如果法官不同意 我就不去烦她了 |
[17:07] | Okay. I’ll work up a petition. | 好 我会去提交申请书 |
[17:10] | And we will give this our best shot. | 我们会全力以赴的 |
[17:12] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[17:16] | Mr. Kent? You’re ruining our lives. | 肯特先生 你毁了我们的生活 |
[17:19] | Uh, care to elaborate? | 能解释一下原因吗 |
[17:20] | You got us all reclassified as employees. | 因为你 我们都被划为了正式雇员 |
[17:23] | That’s what we wanted. | 这不正如你们所愿了吗 |
[17:24] | Not sure why. Being an employee sucks. | 不知怎么会这样 成为正式雇员反而更惨 |
[17:26] | We used to make a grand a night in tips. | 我们原来靠小费能赚上千块 |
[17:28] | And now Bobby Z says that since we’re employees, | 现在波比·Z说 既然我们是正式雇员 |
[17:31] | all of our tips are corporate earnings, | 我们的小费都应属于公司收入 |
[17:33] | so he gets to keep ’em. | 就把小费都收走了 |
[17:36] | That wasn’t my intention. | 这不是我的本意 |
[17:38] | That’s not good enough. | 这样可不行 |
[17:39] | – Desiree. – No, she’s right. | -迪塞莉 -不 她说得对 |
[17:40] | I’ll call Bobby Z, see what I can do. | 我会联系波比·Z 和他交涉一下 |
[17:43] | Told you guys he’d help. | 我就说他会负责到底的 |
[17:45] | He couldn’t make it worse. | 搞不好会火上浇油 |
[17:46] | Uh, one moment. | 失陪一下 |
[17:50] | What’s going on in there? | 这是在干什么啊 |
[17:52] | New clients. | 新案子的委托人 |
[17:54] | They look more like… | 她们看起来更像… |
[17:56] | – strippers. – And we’re both right. | -脱衣舞娘 -两种说法都对 |
[17:59] | You missed drinks with my dad, then lunch, | 你没去和我爸喝酒 今天午饭也没去 |
[18:02] | and now you’ve got a roomful of girls. | 现在又和一屋子女孩在一起 |
[18:04] | Are you going through something? | 你是不是遇上什么事了 |
[18:05] | No, no. Look, lunch tomorrow with you and your dad, | 没有 我明天和你爸吃午饭 |
[18:08] | and I promise I will not leave until I ask | 我保证 如果不向未来岳父提亲 |
[18:11] | my future father-in-law for your hand. | 就绝不离开 |
[18:13] | Okay. | 好 |
[18:14] | Hello, ladies. Lovely to meet you. | 女士们 你们好 很高兴见到你们 |
[18:17] | Good luck with the case. | 祝你们胜诉 |
[18:23] | In 1993, a company called Westin Labs began offering | 1993年 一家名为威斯汀实验室的公司开始 |
[18:27] | a DNA test for mutations in the growth factor receptor FGR-3. | 对生长因子受体FGR-3的突变进行基因检测 |
[18:31] | That test would have caught | 如果贵公司进行了该测试 |
[18:33] | Eli’s condition, had it been used. | 就能检测到伊莱的病症 |
[18:35] | We didn’t know about the test back then. | 我们都不知道当年有这个测试 |
[18:37] | And neither did most of the scientific community. | 而且科学界的多数人都不知道 |
[18:39] | Only 30% of ZygoLife’s competitors | 只有泽果来福竞争对手中的30% |
[18:41] | used the test in 1993. | 采信了1993年的测试结果 |
[18:43] | How can my client be responsible for a test he didn’t know about? | 我的委托人怎能为他不知道的测试结果负责呢 |
[18:46] | They sold a faulty product. | 他们卖出了一件有瑕疵的产品 |
[18:49] | Whether or not they should have known about the test | 至于他们是否知道这项测试 |
[18:51] | is a jury question. | 应由陪审团来判定 |
[18:52] | I agree. | 同意 |
[18:53] | I’m granting your petition, Ms. Bingum. | 我批准你的请求 宾格温女士 |
[18:56] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[18:57] | Now, hold on. The cause of action is product liability. | 等等 诉由是产品责任问题 |
[19:00] | That’s right. | 正是 |
[19:01] | In product-liability matters, | 如果以产品责任诉讼立案 |
[19:02] | the statute of limitations | 那么诉讼时效 |
[19:03] | expires two years after receipt of the product. | 在产品收讫两年后便截止 |
[19:06] | – How old are you, Eli? – 17. | -伊莱 你今年多大 -17岁 |
[19:08] | Ms. Bingum, you’re 15 years too late to bring this suit. | 宾格温女士 此案已经晚了15年 |
[19:11] | We move to dismiss. | 我们提议撤销立案 |
[19:12] | Okay, hold — hold on. | 稍等 稍等 |
[19:14] | I move to substitute Eli Haller as the plaintiff, | 我方提议将原告变更为伊莱·哈勒 |
[19:18] | – and I name myself “guardian ad litem.” – What? | -而我本人担任诉讼监护人 -什么 |
[19:21] | It means she’ll be my guardian for the purposes of — | 就是说她要作为我的监护人以便… |
[19:23] | I understand what she’s asking. | 我明白她的意思 |
[19:25] | Eli’s 17. The statute of limitations | 伊莱只有17岁 所谓诉讼时效 |
[19:28] | doesn’t start for an individual until 18. | 只针对成年人而言 |
[19:30] | So Molly Haller is no longer my client. | 所以我的委托人不再是莫莉·哈勒 |
[19:33] | Eli is. | 而是伊莱 |
[19:37] | And the trial starts tomorrow. | 本案明日开庭 |
[19:45] | Honey! I’m home! | 宝贝 我回来了 |
[19:47] | Just in time for a seaweed smoothie. | 正好来点海藻思慕雪[一种软饮料] |
[19:51] | It’s good for your stamina, | 喝这个可以增强体力 |
[19:53] | not that you need any help. | 倒不是说你体力不好 |
[19:57] | Looks delicious. | 看着好好喝 |
[20:00] | Stacy, I-I’ve been thinking — | 史黛西 我一直在考虑 |
[20:02] | uh, we need to talk. | 我们有必要谈一谈 |
[20:04] | Oh? | 真的 |
[20:04] | No, I just, uh — | 也没什么大事 只是… |
[20:06] | I’ve been focusing so much on us | 我一直太专注于我们的感情 |
[20:07] | that I haven’t really told you anything about myself, | 所以从没告诉过你我的情况 |
[20:10] | and I-I feel like sharing. | 现在我想把一切都告诉你 |
[20:14] | So, is there anything that you want to ask me? | 你有什么想问我的吗 |
[20:16] | Because I am ready to tell you | 我已经准备好了 |
[20:18] | whatever it is that you want to know. | 问什么都可以 |
[20:20] | I’m an only child from San Diego. | 我来自圣迭戈 是家里的独子 |
[20:22] | My favorite color is aqua. | 我最爱的颜色是淡绿色 |
[20:24] | I am a Pisces, although on the weekend, | 我是双鱼座 但在周末 |
[20:26] | I feel a little bit more like an Aquarius. | 我觉得自己倒更像是水瓶座 |
[20:28] | Oh, my god! I feel so much closer to you right now. | 天啊 说完这些 感觉和你亲近多了 |
[20:33] | That — do you want to — | 你想去… |
[20:34] | You want to go into the bedroom and test out my stamina? | 想去卧室体验一下我的无敌体力吗 |
[20:37] | What about your parents? | 伯父伯母都还好吗 |
[20:40] | My parents? Right. | 我父母 差点忘了说 |
[20:43] | They’re dead. | 已经去世了 |
[20:45] | Oh, that’s so sad. | 真让人伤心 |
[20:48] | Well, no, I mean, they’re — | 也不是 他们… |
[20:49] | They’re not — they’re not both dead. | 他们…并不是都去世了 |
[20:52] | My mom I-I-is fine and — and living in, um… | 我妈还健在 现在住在… |
[20:58] | …Alhambra. | 阿尔汉布拉 |
[20:59] | Alhambra? Could we go see her? | 阿尔汉布拉 我们可以去看望她吗 |
[21:01] | No! No, no. It’s too far. | 不行 不行 太远了 |
[21:05] | Alhambra’s like 30 minutes away. | 到阿尔汉布拉就半小时的车程 |
[21:07] | – It is? – Mm-hmm. | -真的吗 -对啊 |
[21:08] | It seems further, like in Africa. | 听名字好像很远 应该在非洲什么地方 |
[21:12] | Mnh-mnh. Let’s go right now. | 才不是 现在就去吧 |
[21:13] | No! Uh, well — how about this? | 不 这样吧 |
[21:15] | How about the three of us go out to lunch | 过些日子我们三个人 |
[21:18] | sometime in the future? | 一起共进午餐怎样 |
[21:20] | How about tomorrow? | 就明天如何 |
[21:21] | Unless there’s a reason to put it off. | 除非有什么原因非要推迟 |
[21:26] | No. No. | 没有 怎么会 |
[21:27] | Tomorrow’s great. | 明天很好 |
[21:29] | My mom loves… wednesdays. | 我老妈最爱周三了 |
[21:36] | Hi, Eli. | 伊莱 你好 |
[21:38] | I’m here to see your mom. | 我是来找你妈妈的 |
[21:39] | She’s at work. | 她上班去了 |
[21:41] | – Right. – On the bright side, | -这样啊 -不过还好 |
[21:42] | she did get your subpoena before she left. | 她走之前收到了你的传票 |
[21:44] | Great. | 太好了 |
[21:45] | Come on in. | 请进吧 |
[21:47] | You know, I-I wanted to talk to her about it, | 我其实想跟她谈谈这件事 |
[21:50] | but she wouldn’t return my calls. | 但她一直不回我电话 |
[21:53] | Yeah, I know. | 我知道 |
[21:55] | I need to make it clear to both of you | 有一点我想跟你们母子说清楚 |
[21:58] | that the only way I can prove liability | 唯一能使产品责任诉讼成立的办法 |
[22:01] | is to establish that Zygolife let her down. | 就是证明泽果来福没有满足她的质量要求 |
[22:04] | So I need to prove | 所以我要证明 |
[22:06] | that she had expectations about you | 她对你的期望 |
[22:10] | that weren’t met because of their mistake. | 由于他们的失误而没能得到满足 |
[22:14] | Wait here. | 请稍等 |
[22:30] | You want to know what she expected | 你想知道她怀上我时 |
[22:31] | when she was pregnant with me? | 对我的期望吗 |
[22:34] | I found this in a drawer. | 这是我在抽屉里找到的 |
[22:37] | She doesn’t know I’ve seen it. | 她不知道我看过 |
[22:43] | “To my baby, on his 17th birthday. | “致我刚满十七岁的孩子 |
[22:47] | “I just got the news — | 我刚刚得知这个消息 |
[22:48] | I’m finally gonna be a mom. | 我终于要当妈妈了 |
[22:50] | “Today, I make a commitment to you — | 我今天在这里向你保证 |
[22:53] | “to make sure you grow up healthy and strong. | 我要让你健康茁壮地成长 |
[22:56] | “To provide you with every advantage | 为你创造一切条件 |
[22:59] | “so you may become whatever you want to be — | 这样你就能够想做什么就做什么 |
[23:02] | “an astronaut, an athlete, or even president. | 宇航员 运动员 甚至是总统 |
[23:08] | “To encourage you to travel the world, | 我还要鼓励你周游世界 |
[23:11] | “to reach for the stars… | 遨游太空 |
[23:16] | “to live a life without boundaries or limits. | 过上没有限制与束缚的生活 |
[23:20] | “I will always love you. | 我会永远爱你 |
[23:24] | Mom.” | 妈妈亲笔” |
[23:28] | But you turned 17 months ago. | 但你几个月前已经满17岁了 |
[23:30] | Yeah. | 对啊 |
[23:32] | She never gave me the letter. | 但她从没把这封信给我 |
[23:34] | I know she loves me, Ms. Bingum. | 我知道她爱我 宾格姆女士 |
[23:38] | But it doesn’t change | 但这也无法改变事实 |
[23:39] | that this isn’t what she signed up for. | 我并不是她当初接受手术时期盼的样子 |
[23:52] | Oh, no. | 不妙 |
[23:53] | I don’t know what you said to Bobby Z, | 我不知道你跟波比·Z说了些什么 |
[23:55] | but he locked us out. | 但他把我们封杀了 |
[23:56] | What? I just left him a voicemail. | 什么 我只是给他留了言 |
[23:57] | He fired you? | 他把你们解雇了吗 |
[23:58] | Yeah, and he called around to all the other clubs. | 对啊 他还给其他俱乐部打了招呼 |
[24:00] | No one will hire us. | 现在没有一家肯雇我们 |
[24:02] | Said we were a problem. | 都说我们好惹是生非 |
[24:05] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 |
[24:07] | I encouraged Sierra to bring a grievance to her boss. | 我让西塞拉给她老板点颜色瞧瞧 |
[24:09] | And now he’s blacklisted | 结果他把她们三个 |
[24:10] | all three of them with the other club owners. | 都列入了俱乐部黑名单 |
[24:12] | Well, it sounds to me like the owners are acting | 听你的意思 我觉得那群老板们 |
[24:14] | like a strip-club trust | 在搞脱衣俱乐部垄断呀 |
[24:16] | which is illegal. | 这个可是违法的 |
[24:18] | Jane’s right. | 简说得没错 |
[24:18] | We need to get to court by the close of business today. | 我们得在法院关门前赶过去 |
[24:20] | I will have a paralegal file the paperwork. | 我要找个法律助理来整理文档 |
[24:22] | I just need to reschedule another lunch. Be right back. | 我需要重新安排另一顿午饭 马上回来 |
[24:27] | He’s a great guy, isn’t he? | 他是个好人 是吧 |
[24:29] | Yeah. He’s the best. | 是 他可好了 |
[24:31] | Hey, did that doctor guy ever call you back? | 那个医生给你回电话了吗 |
[24:34] | No. | 没有 |
[24:36] | You deserve better. | 他配不上你 |
[24:40] | Yeah, I do. | 是呀 没错 |
[24:42] | Hi, Bill. This is Jane. | 你好 比尔 我是简 |
[24:44] | Jane Bingum. | 简·宾格温 |
[24:47] | Bill, I-I wanted to let you know | 比尔 我想让你知道 |
[24:49] | that I-I never sleep with a guy on the first date. | 我不是在第一次约会就和人上床的那种人 |
[24:53] | But for some reason, I-I thought you were different. | 但不知什么原因 我以为你和别人不同 |
[24:56] | And maybe it’s because you were smart | 也可能是因为你很聪明 |
[25:00] | and charming and cute — | 有魅力 又帅气 |
[25:02] | and I guess it doesn’t hurt that you’re a doctor. | 况且你还是个医生 |
[25:04] | But now — now I see | 但现在我发现 |
[25:06] | that — that I was simply suckered | 我只不过是迷恋上了 |
[25:09] | by an oversized ego and a god complex so, so big | 一个自以为凌驾于万物之上的自大狂 |
[25:13] | that you couldn’t even bother to return one of my phone calls. | 自大到根本不屑于回我的电话 |
[25:16] | So congratulations, you lost me, | 所以恭喜你 你摆脱掉我了 |
[25:21] | just like you can lose my number — | 我的电话你也不必留了 |
[25:22] | though it seems you already have. | 不过看来你已经丢掉了 |
[25:27] | Hey, I heard all that. | 我都听见了 |
[25:28] | And for what it’s worth, I’m proud of you. | 无论怎样 我为你骄傲 |
[25:31] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[25:33] | I, uh, feel like I’m gonna be sick. | 我觉得我要生病了 |
[25:49] | Kim Kaswell. | 金·卡斯维 |
[25:51] | Parker? | 帕克 |
[25:51] | What are you doing here? I have a job interview. | 你来这里干嘛 我要面试 |
[25:54] | I’ll be brief. | 我很快就说完 |
[25:56] | I want you back at the firm. | 我想让你回公司来 |
[25:58] | Not just because you’re an amazing lawyer, | 不仅因为你是名出色的律师 |
[26:00] | but because you’re an amazing woman. | 还因为你是个优秀的女人 |
[26:03] | I know I screwed up, | 之前是我不对 |
[26:05] | professionally and personally. | 工作和私生活两方面都是 |
[26:09] | I wasn’t honest, and… | 我不够诚实 而且 |
[26:12] | I let the best thing in my life get away from me. | 我让生命中最美好的事物离我而去了 |
[26:16] | Yes, you did. | 是的 没错 |
[26:18] | Kim… | 金… |
[26:20] | Please come back. | 求你回来吧 |
[26:23] | – My interview’s about to start. – Parker. | -我的面试就要开始了 -帕克 |
[26:28] | We’ve been waiting on your recommendation. | 我们一直在等你的推荐信 |
[26:30] | Thanks for giving it in person. | 谢谢你亲自跑一趟 |
[26:53] | Ginny? | 金妮 |
[26:56] | Never sneak up on a person like that! | 别这么鬼鬼祟祟地吓唬人 |
[26:58] | And I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[27:00] | Um, so, how is my favorite employee? | 我最喜欢的雇员最近怎么样了 |
[27:04] | – Temporary employee. – Right. | -我只是临时雇员 -对 |
[27:06] | Uh, between acting jobs. | 正在等待演出机会 |
[27:08] | Yes, that’s right. I’m an actress in real life. | 是 没错 我在现实生活中是个演员 |
[27:10] | Uh, “Sound of Music” at the Buena Park dinner theater. | 在布埃纳帕克餐馆剧院参演《音乐之声》 |
[27:12] | – Good stuff. – Oh, my god! | -很不错 -我的天呀 |
[27:13] | You saw it?! I can’t believe you saw it! | 你看过 我不敢相信你看过 |
[27:15] | Well, I-I-I didn’t. | 我…我没看过 |
[27:17] | But, um, I did see your flier in the elevator. | 但我在电梯里看到你的传单了 |
[27:20] | Oh, right. Yeah, I put that out there. | 对 是我贴在那里的 |
[27:22] | I know. You — you looked really convincing | 我知道 你的扮相很有说服力 |
[27:24] | as the — the mother superior. | 有一种母亲的威严 |
[27:26] | The “Buena Bugle” called me, | 《布埃纳之声》形容我为 |
[27:28] | uh, “stern and matronly.” | “严厉又有母仪之风” |
[27:30] | – Matronly. – Yes. | -母仪之风 -是的 |
[27:31] | Uh, “mother with dignity.” | 就是”端庄的母亲” |
[27:33] | Ooh, aren’t you the clever little crier? | 你真是个聪明的小朋友 |
[27:35] | – Well, it’s exactly what I was looking for. – Really? | -这正是我所需要的 -是吗 |
[27:38] | Um, yeah, I-I-I was wondering if I could ask you a favor, | 是的 我想请你帮个忙 |
[27:42] | that — that would involve your “superior” acting skills. | 这要用到你高超的表演技巧 |
[27:45] | – Okay. – And — and a-a free lunch. | -好的 -你还能吃到一顿免费的午餐 |
[27:48] | Oh! I’m listening. | 接着说 |
[27:52] | Ms. Haller, | 哈勒女士 |
[27:54] | when you first read Zygolife’s brochure | 你首次读到泽果来福的宣传册时 |
[27:56] | offering state-of-the-art genetic screening, | 里面承诺会提供”最先进的”基因筛查手段 |
[27:59] | were you aware of a test that would have caught | 你是否清楚有一项测试能检测出 |
[28:01] | a mutation in the fibroblast growth factor receptor 3? | 纤维原细胞生长因子受体3号是否发生了突变 |
[28:05] | I’m not a doctor, Ms. Bingum. | 宾格温女士 我不是个医生 |
[28:07] | Then it’s fair to say | 那么可以说 |
[28:08] | that you were relying on Zygolife’s expertise | 你当时是依据泽果来福的专家意见 |
[28:11] | to ensure the quality of the sperm they sold you? | 来确定他们出售给你的精子质量的吗 |
[28:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:15] | No further questions. | 讯问完毕 |
[28:21] | Since this case is about product liability, | 既然这个案子是关于产品责任的 |
[28:23] | I have to ask — | 我不得不问 |
[28:25] | Do you want to trade in your son? | 你愿意交换你的儿子吗 |
[28:28] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[28:29] | If, theoretically, | 从理论上说 |
[28:30] | we could provide you with another boy, | 如果我们可以向你提供另一个孩子 |
[28:32] | a different boy but without the mutated gene, | 一个没有基因突变的男孩 |
[28:34] | Would you agree to it? | 你会同意交换吗 |
[28:37] | Of course not. | 当然不会 |
[28:39] | I wouldn’t trade Eli for the world. | 无论如何我都不会放弃伊莱的 |
[28:45] | No further questions. | 讯问完毕 |
[28:50] | Uh, uh, redirect? | 请求再直接询问 |
[28:52] | Proceed. | 同意 |
[28:56] | In 1993, | 1993年的时候 |
[28:59] | what were your expectations for your unborn child? | 你对你未出世的孩子有怎样的期待 |
[29:06] | Um, I remind you that you are under oath. | 我提醒你 你是宣过誓的 |
[29:13] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不理解你的问题 |
[29:15] | Did you expect that eli would need biweekly ritux injections | 你是期望伊莱每两周注射一次利妥昔 |
[29:19] | so that he could walk without pain | 才能无痛苦地行走 |
[29:22] | or that he would “grow up healthy and strong”? | 还是期望他能”健康茁壮地成长” |
[29:34] | Healthy and strong. | 健康茁壮地成长 |
[29:37] | Did you expect that your child would need seven spinal operations | 你是期望你的孩子接受七次脊椎手术 |
[29:44] | or that he might become an astronaut or an athlete? | 还是期望他会成为一个宇航员或运动员 |
[29:51] | Did you expect that the costs | 你是期望自己 |
[29:53] | associated with Eli’s medical conditions | 每天工作18个小时 |
[29:56] | would require that you work 18-hour days? | 来支付伊莱的相关医疗费用 |
[30:01] | Or did you believe that your son | 还是曾相信你的儿子 |
[30:03] | would live a life without limits or boundaries? | 会过上没有限制和束缚的生活 |
[30:05] | Stop, Ms. Bingum! | 别说了 宾格温女士 |
[30:07] | Stop! This was a mistake. | 别说了 这是个错误 |
[30:11] | -Eli, I– – Please! | -伊莱 我… -请别说了 |
[30:14] | – I’m sorry. – I know. I know. | -我很抱歉 -我知道 我知道 |
[30:16] | – I’m so sorry. – No, honey. | -对不起 -没什么 孩子 |
[30:19] | – No, shh. Oh, god. – I didn’t mean it. | -没事的 -我不是故意的 |
[30:22] | No, it’s gonna be okay. | 不 没事的 |
[30:24] | It’s okay. Look at me. Look at me. | 我没事的 你看我 不是很好嘛 |
[30:25] | – I’m sorry. – It’s okay. It’s okay. | -真的对不起 -真的没关系 |
[30:37] | I heard what happened in court. | 法庭上的事 我听说了 |
[30:39] | So you turned my computer into a shrine? | 所以你就把我的电脑弄成神龛了吗 |
[30:42] | I bookmarked your top 10 favorite online shopping destinations | 我把你最喜欢的十家网店都给收藏了 |
[30:45] | and pre-loaded your credit-card info. | 还预载了你的信用卡信息 |
[30:47] | Retail therapy always cheers you up. | 购物总是能让你心情好转 |
[30:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[30:51] | But this goes way beyond that. | 不过这次要严重得多 |
[30:54] | Today, I forced a mother | 今天 我迫使一位母亲 |
[30:56] | to admit her darkest secrets about her son. | 坦露了内心最深处关于她儿子的秘密 |
[30:59] | Is there anything relevant in the Zygolife discovery? | 泽果来福提供的证据里有没有相关内容 |
[31:02] | Of course not. Why would Zygolife | 当然没有 泽果来福又不傻 |
[31:04] | give us evidence that would hurt them? | 凭什么要提供对自己不利的证据 |
[31:06] | Well, because it’s discovery, and there are rules. | 因为他们要按照规定来提供证据 |
[31:08] | Yes, and everyone always plays by the rules. | 没错 所有人都会按规矩办事 |
[31:10] | No one ever cheats on their taxes | 没人偷税漏税 |
[31:11] | Or lies to get out of jury duty | 或为了逃脱陪审义务而说谎 |
[31:13] | Or shoplifts a whole chicken from Costco. | 或从超市里偷鸡 |
[31:16] | My point is the legal system is not perfect | 我是想说 司法系统并不完善 |
[31:19] | And I have a hard time believing that ZygoLife | 我不相信泽果来福 |
[31:21] | would just hand over a smoking gun | 会傻乎乎地双手奉上 |
[31:22] | neatly tied up in a box. | 对他们不利的证据 |
[31:26] | Then we should look outside the box. | 那我们就得另辟蹊径 |
[31:29] | What are you talking about? | 什么另辟蹊径 |
[31:31] | My brain is working. | 让我想想 |
[31:33] | My brain is working. | 让我想想 |
[31:35] | You’re acting really weird. | 你怎么神经兮兮的 |
[31:37] | Teri, we don’t need their stupid boxes. | 泰丽 我们不需要他们自己来提供证据 |
[31:40] | It’s just like in retail — | 就像是零售一样 |
[31:41] | There are two parties to every transaction. | 每笔交易中都会涉及到买卖双方 |
[31:44] | You buy your groceries at the market, | 人们要买日常用品会去超市 |
[31:46] | You buy your cosmetics at the counter, | 要买化妆品会去专柜 |
[31:48] | You buy your tests for genetic mutations… | 要做基因变异的检测 |
[31:50] | …from the lab. | 就要去实验室 |
[31:52] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[31:53] | ZygoLife buys their FGR-3 test from Westin Labs. | 泽果来福是在威斯汀实验室做的FGR-3变异检测 |
[31:57] | Westin Labs would have no reason to conceal their records. | 而威斯汀实验室没理由隐瞒自己的记录 |
[32:00] | I’m on it. | 我这就去办这事 |
[32:02] | Thank you. | 多谢啦 |
[32:03] | Grayson, Bobby Z’s here | 格雷森 波比·Z来了 |
[32:05] | with the guy who owns the biggest clubs | 还有那些丹佛城西区 |
[32:07] | west of Denver’s silver cabaret. | 规模最大的俱乐部的老板们 |
[32:09] | I know. I had them all served. | 我知道 我给他们发了传票 |
[32:11] | They’re participating in the conspiracy | 他们全部涉嫌参与 |
[32:12] | to restrain your employment. | 剥夺你们的合法劳动权益 |
[32:17] | Judge Byron Hemmings presiding. | 负责审理本案的是拜伦·海明斯法官 |
[32:18] | – Oh, no. – What’s wrong? | -不会吧 -怎么了 |
[32:22] | This isn’t good. | 情况不妙 |
[32:23] | Apparently, lunch with my daughter and future son-in-law | 没办法 本来说好跟女儿和未来女婿共进午餐 |
[32:26] | got canceled — again. | 结果他再次有事没来 |
[32:29] | So, here I am, | 我才有时间来这里 |
[32:30] | saddled with an alleged “emergency” T.R.O. | 审理这宗据称十分”紧急”的案件 |
[32:35] | I’m the son-in-law. | 我就是那个失约的未来女婿 |
[32:39] | Your honor, may I approach? | 法官大人 我可以近前讲话吗 |
[32:48] | Are they the emergency? | 她们就是你紧急案件的委托人 |
[32:50] | Yes. | 是的 |
[32:51] | Fascinating. How’d you meet them? | 不错啊 你是怎么认识她们的 |
[32:54] | Is that really relevant? | 这与案件无关吧 |
[32:55] | Well, I am the judge. | 我是法官 我说了算 |
[32:58] | I met Ms. Santell at my bachelor party. | 我是在我的单身派对上认识桑特尔小姐的 |
[33:02] | And apparently, they’re a package deal. | 然后又顺带认识了其余几位 |
[33:06] | This is gonna be good. | 这案子会很有意思 |
[33:09] | But what you need to know about my Freddy | 你要知道 我们家小弗 |
[33:12] | is that he can be overly sensitive. | 有时候特别敏感 |
[33:15] | Mnh, that’s not entirely — | 也不一定 |
[33:16] | Sweetheart, please don’t speak while you’re chewing. | 宝贝 吃东西的时候不要讲话 |
[33:19] | Anyway, as Fred’s mom, | 作为弗雷德的母亲 |
[33:22] | I think I should ask you a few questions. | 我要问你几个问题 |
[33:26] | Sure. Anything. | 尽管问吧 |
[33:28] | What was your S.A.T. Score? | 你高考得了多少分 |
[33:32] | Is that really that important? | 这个有那么重要吗 |
[33:34] | Of course it’s important. | 当然重要 |
[33:35] | My Freddy should be with a smart girl. | 我家小弗怎么也要找个聪明的姑娘 |
[33:38] | -But — -mom! | -不过… -妈 |
[33:41] | Never you mind. | 当我什么也没说 |
[33:43] | So, what about your career? | 那你的事业呢 |
[33:46] | He tells me you’re a model. | 他告诉我 你是做模特的 |
[33:47] | And, sweetie, you know most models peak at 22. | 而大部分模特在22岁以后就开始走下坡路了 |
[33:50] | How old are you? | 你今年多大了 |
[33:53] | Hoo. N-not 22. | 幸好不是22岁 |
[33:56] | Okay. So, do you have a back-up plan? | 那么你想好以后要做什么了吗 |
[33:59] | – Ginny! Mother! – Yes? | -金妮 妈妈 -怎么了 |
[34:03] | Oh, I’m sorry, sugarplum. | 真是抱歉 宝贝 |
[34:07] | Menopause makes Mommy crazy. | 女人一到了更年期就有点不正常 |
[34:11] | If you’ll excuse me, I have to tinkle. | 失陪一下 我要去小解 |
[34:16] | It’s — it’s slippery. | 怎么这么滑 |
[34:23] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[34:23] | Look. Stacy, look, that is not my mother. | 史黛西 其实她不是我妈 |
[34:28] | Oh, Fred — | 弗雷德 |
[34:29] | If that was my mom, | 如果我有这样一个妈妈 |
[34:30] | I would say the exact same thing. | 我也会假装不认识他 |
[34:33] | I promise — we never have to do this again. Okay? | 我保证以后不会要求见你妈了 好吗 |
[34:37] | Okay. | 好的 |
[34:38] | Mr. Inverness, the other day in chambers, | 因弗内斯先生 那天内庭审理时 |
[34:41] | You stated that your company | 你曾表示 哈勒女士在购买精子时 |
[34:42] | had no knowledge of Westin Labs’ | 贵公司并不知道 |
[34:44] | FGR-3 test when Ms. Haller purchased sperm. | 威斯汀实验室进行的FGR-3检测 |
[34:48] | Now, is that true? – Yes, we only | 对吗 -是的 到了94年 |
[34:49] | became aware of the test in ’94, | 我们才了解到该项检测 |
[34:51] | At which time it was added to our screening process. | 从那时起我们就在筛选中增加了该项检测 |
[34:53] | After Eli had been conceived. | 就是说 当时哈勒女士已经怀了伊莱 |
[34:56] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[34:57] | Why did you decide to add the test? | 你当时为什么决定增加这项检测 |
[34:59] | To stay current. | 为了跟上时代的步伐 |
[35:00] | Oh, it — it wasn’t | 怎么 |
[35:01] | Because Westin Labs had lowered their price? | 不是因为威斯汀实验室降价了吗 |
[35:05] | How could we know they’d lowered the price | 之前我们都不知道有这么一项检查 |
[35:06] | when we had no prior knowledge it existed? | 又怎么可能知道他们降价了 |
[35:13] | We received this e-mail | 这封电子邮件 |
[35:15] | from a vice president of Westin Labs. | 是威斯汀实验室的副总裁发给我们的 |
[35:18] | He’s kept a record of every sales meeting | 自1989年起 他就保存着与潜在客户的 |
[35:20] | he’s had with a potential client since 1989. | 所有销售会议纪录 |
[35:23] | And in this note, | 在这份笔记里 |
[35:25] | he details a meeting | 他详细记录了 |
[35:26] | he had with your company in January of ’93. | 在93年1月与贵公司的一次会议内容 |
[35:32] | I’d like to read his summary to the jury, if I may. | 我想向陪审团读一下记录摘要 |
[35:36] | “Wednesday, January 7, 1993. | “1993年1月7日 星期三 |
[35:41] | Met with ZygoLife purchasing agent to discuss FGR-3 test. | 与泽果来福的采购员见面商谈FGR-3检测 |
[35:46] | Agent refused, citing the cost of $75 a unit.” | 对方拒绝了 还价为每单位75美元” |
[35:54] | Can you identify the purchasing agent | 你能指认出那位拒绝 |
[35:56] | who refused to purchase this test? | 购买检测的采购员吗 |
[35:58] | 1993 is a long time ago. | 1993年很久远了 |
[36:00] | Oh, well, the name’s here in the e-mail. | 这封邮件里提到了那个名字 |
[36:05] | Oh, you don’t want to… | 你不想… |
[36:09] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[36:13] | It’s your name. | 竟然是你的名字 |
[36:15] | I would like to introduce this e-mail as evidence. | 我要提交这封邮件作为证据 |
[36:18] | – Objection! – Overruled. | -反对 -反对无效 |
[36:25] | Your honor, bottom line — these men are colluding | 法官大人 总之 这些人相互串通 |
[36:27] | for the sole purpose of preventing my clients from working. | 唯一目的就是使我的委托人们失业 |
[36:30] | But my colleagues and I are simply | 但我和我的同事们只是 |
[36:31] | sharing employee reviews and nothing more. | 在分享对员工的评价而已 |
[36:32] | These “reviews” have the clear purpose | 这些”评价”的明确目的 |
[36:34] | of suppressing the ability | 就是压制舞娘们 |
[36:35] | of the dancers to demand better working conditions. | 以防她们提出改善工作环境的要求 |
[36:37] | That’s not how we see it. | 我们不是这意思 |
[36:38] | All right. I’ve heard enough. | 好了 我听够了 |
[36:44] | There is, indeed, evidence of collusion. | 的确有那几位老板相互串通的证据 |
[36:46] | – Your honor. – Stow it, counselor. | -法官大人 -别说了 律师 |
[36:49] | This court hereby instructs Mr.Z | 本法庭特此通知Z先生 |
[36:51] | to re-hire all his dancers, and they will keep their tips. | 重新雇佣所有舞娘 而且她们不用上缴小费 |
[36:54] | Furthermore, I want you and all your colleagues | 此外我要求你和你所有的同事们 |
[36:57] | to submit your employee contracts to this court for review, | 向本庭上交你们的员工合同 以供审查 |
[37:00] | post haste. | 从速执行 |
[37:03] | By “post haste”, he means — | “从速”的意思就是… |
[37:04] | “Quickly.” We know. | 迅速地 我们懂的 |
[37:05] | We’re dancers, not dummies. | 我们舞娘也不是傻瓜 |
[37:07] | – Court is adjourned. – Your honor — | -休庭 -法官大人 |
[37:09] | If you’ll grant leave for an amicus motion? | 可以请你稍等片刻吗 |
[37:11] | Yes? | 好吧 |
[37:15] | I’ve been waiting to do this for a week, sir. | 这一刻 我已经等了一周了 先生 |
[37:17] | And now that we’re finally together, | 现在我们终于都聚在一起了 |
[37:19] | I’d like to ask your permission | 希望您能允许我 |
[37:21] | to marry your incredible daughter. | 迎娶您优秀的女儿 |
[37:25] | That would be me. | 也就是我 |
[37:34] | So ordered. | 批准 |
[37:37] | Thanks, daddy. | 谢谢 爸爸 |
[37:40] | Mr. Parker. | 帕克先生 |
[37:44] | Ms. Kaswell. | 卡斯维女士 |
[37:46] | My position is nonnegotiable. | 我的要求没有商量的余地 |
[37:48] | I want a 10% raise, and you and I come to an understanding. | 我要10%的加薪 还要与你达成共识 |
[37:54] | What kind of an understanding? | 什么样的共识 |
[37:57] | I’m back with the firm. I’m not back with you. | 我是回到公司 而不是回到你身边 |
[38:02] | May I ask why you changed your mind? | 我可以问你为什么改主意了吗 |
[38:07] | No. | 不行 |
[38:09] | No? | 不行 |
[38:11] | No, you may not ask why I changed my mind. | 不行 你不能问我为什么改主意 |
[38:28] | We just got an offer from ZygoLife’s attorney. | 泽果来福的律师刚刚出价给我们 |
[38:32] | Uh, since you are the client… | 既然你是委托人… |
[38:37] | Mom. | 妈 你看吧 |
[38:48] | Now, that’s what I’m talking about. | 我对这个价位很满意 |
[38:52] | I don’t know what to say. | 我不知道说什么好 |
[38:54] | Well, I hope that you’ll say you’ll forgive me. | 我希望你能说 你原谅我了 |
[38:56] | I never meant to hurt you or your family. | 我从来没想伤害你和你的家人 |
[38:59] | You were just trying to protect my son. | 你只是想保护我的儿子 |
[39:00] | It’s what every mother wants. | 这是所有母亲所希望的 |
[39:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[39:06] | It was my pleasure, Eli. It truly was. | 这是我的荣幸 伊莱 真心的 |
[39:11] | Come on, mom. Let’s go. | 走吧 妈妈 我们走 |
[39:13] | Tonight, I’m buying you dinner. | 今晚的晚餐 我买单 |
[39:22] | – Jane. – Kim. | -简 -金 |
[39:24] | – You’re back. – I am. | -你回来了 -是的 |
[39:26] | And I heard about the glowing | 我还听说你为我写了 |
[39:27] | recommendations you wrote for me. | 充满溢美之辞的推荐信 |
[39:29] | It was nothing. | 小事不足挂齿 |
[39:30] | I know. I can’t wait to return the favor some day. | 我知道 我等不及要报答你的好意了 |
[39:53] | Bill? | 比尔 |
[39:54] | Hey, Jane. Can I come in? | 简 我能进来吗 |
[40:04] | – Thanks. – Sure. | -谢谢 -没事 |
[40:06] | I think I left my cellphone here the other night. | 我觉得那晚我把手机落在你家了 |
[40:09] | Yeah, I think it might have fallen out of my pants | 我觉得可能是从我的裤子里掉出来了 |
[40:12] | Uh, when — when you took them off. | 就在你脱我裤子的时候 |
[40:16] | Yeah. | 可能吧 |
[40:18] | And — and, uh, I-I just got off a nonstop haul — | 接下来几天我忙得团团转 |
[40:21] | Tumor resection, two aneurysm clippings — | 做了一例肿瘤切除手术和两例动脉瘤夹闭术 |
[40:23] | And I realized I never called you back. | 然后我发现我还没回你电话 |
[40:26] | And now I feel like a jerk. | 我觉得自己很混帐 |
[40:27] | No, no, no worries at all. | 不 不 完全不用担心 |
[40:29] | I was hoping to seek an appropriate date, | 我希望今晚能有次正经的约会 |
[40:32] | if not the tonight. | 改天也行 |
[40:35] | Tonight works. | 今晚没问题 |
[40:36] | Well, then as soon as I get my cellphone. | 那就尽快找到我的手机吧 |
[40:38] | – Right. – I think it might be under the bed. | -好的 -我觉得应该在床底下 |
[40:40] | Oh. I’ll go look. | 我去看看 |
[41:01] | – Found it. – Great. | -找到啦 -太好了 |
[41:05] | So, uh, I was thinking Italian. | 意大利菜怎么样 |
[41:07] | Oh, I love Italian. | 我爱死意大利菜了 |
[41:09] | Hey, I want to thank you for giving me another chance — | 我想谢谢你能再给我一次机会 |
[41:12] | Me and my oversized ego and god complex. | 原谅我这个自以为凌驾于万物之上的自大狂 |
[41:16] | Oh, god. I… | 天啊 我… |
[41:18] | No, you — I mean… | 不会吧 你怎么… |
[41:19] | How did you hear your messages? | 你是怎么听到留言的 |
[41:21] | I just deleted them. | 我刚刚都删除了啊 |
[41:22] | Jane, I am a neurosurgeon. | 简 我是个神经外科医生 |
[41:23] | I have to check my messages. | 我必须查收信息 |
[41:26] | Yes, you do. | 是的 没错 |
[41:28] | But I got to say, | 但我不得不说 |
[41:29] | when you get mad, you’re pretty adorable. | 你生气的时候相当可爱 |