时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | See that aspiring model there? | 看到那个美丽模特儿了吗 |
[00:03] | That was me– Deb– until the day I died. | 那是我 Deb 但是我车祸死了 |
[00:07] | I thought I’d go straight to heaven, but there was a bit of a mix-up… | 原以为会直接上天堂 但事情出了小差错 |
[00:11] | and I woke up in someone else’s body. | 我醒来之后竟然变了个样 |
[00:13] | So now I’m Jane… | 所以现在我是Jane |
[00:15] | a super-busy lawyer with my very own assistant. | 一位有着专属助理的超忙律师 |
[00:18] | I got a new life, a new wardrobe, and the only people who really know… | 我有了新的人生 新的行头 唯一知道事情真相的 只有我的好朋友Stacy 和守护天使Fred |
[00:22] | what’s going on with me are my girlfriend Stacy and my guardian angel, Fred. | |
[00:26] | I used to think everything happened for a reason… | 我以前总认为事出必有因 |
[00:29] | and, well, I sure hope I was right. | 现在呢 希望我是对的吧 |
[00:32] | ::: Timecodes – gius ::: | |
[00:53] | Wow! | 哇 |
[00:55] | You are adorable. | 你真美丽动人 |
[00:57] | Thank you. So are you. | 谢谢 你也不赖 |
[01:02] | Feel this — Sued patina. | 摸摸看 绒布 银铜色 |
[01:06] | Gorgeous. | 超美的 |
[01:08] | Oh, I insist you try this on. | 喔 我坚持要你试穿 |
[01:09] | Oh, you’re sweet, but I’m waiting for a friend. | 你人真好 但我在等朋友 |
[01:12] | Can I get you something to drink? Iced chai, cappuccino? | 需要什么喝的吗 冰茶或是卡布奇诺? |
[01:15] | I can send Marcus out for a smoothie. | 我也可以叫Marcus去买水果优格 |
[01:18] | I’m fine, really. | 不用 真的 |
[01:23] | Sweetie, you got here early. You’re never early. | 甜心 你早到了 你从不提早到 |
[01:27] | Hello! | 拜托 |
[01:29] | We’re shopping on Rodeo Drive. If I died, this is how I imagine heaven. | 我们在罗迪欧大道血拼耶 (译注:比佛利山的名牌购物大道) 如果我死了 天堂应该就长这样 |
[01:33] | You’d be totally wrong. | 错得离谱 |
[01:35] | Right. So, I’ve been browsing. | 好 我一直在看 |
[01:38] | This stuff is pretty pricey, but it comes with free drinks. | 东西很贵 但有免费饮料可以喝 |
[01:41] | – Want a cappuccino? – Sure! | – 卡布奇诺要吗 – 当然 |
[01:43] | I’m sorry. The machine just broke. | 抱歉 机器突然坏了 |
[01:46] | That’s okay. | 没关系 |
[01:48] | I haven’t been this excited since we found those Louboutin heels at 51% off. | 从上次发现49折的Louboutin高跟鞋之后 我就没这么兴奋过了 |
[01:52] | It was supposed to be 15%, but yay, dyslexia! | 原本该是85折的 阅读障碍症万岁 |
[01:56] | Okay, starting today… | 好 从今天开始 |
[01:58] | I’m giving myself a fashion makeover. | 我要来个大改造 |
[02:00] | Step one — The perfect dress. | 第一步 完美洋装 |
[02:07] | There she is. | 就在那 |
[02:19] | Zero, zero, 2… | 零号 零号 二号 |
[02:21] | 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. | 二 四 六 八 十 |
[02:31] | That’s it? | 没了? |
[02:32] | Oh, I’m sure they keep more in the back. Hello, Marcus? | 他们应该还有存货 Marcus 请来一下 |
[02:36] | – Hi. So, we need a size — – 12. | – 嗨 我们需要一件… – 十二号 |
[02:42] | 16. | |
[02:44] | Um, nothing larger than a 10. | 呃 最大到十号 |
[02:47] | – In the whole store? – That’s right. | – 整间店都是? – 没有错 |
[02:49] | But why? | 为什么 |
[02:51] | No! No, when I was skinny, I couldn’t afford this place. | 不 我还是个瘦子的时候 我买不起这里的衣服 |
[02:54] | And now that I can, I’d really like this dress. | 现在有钱买了 我真的很想要这件洋装 |
[02:57] | And I’d like a villa in mustique. | 我还想要一栋Mustique岛的别墅勒 (译注:号称”亿万富豪之岛”) |
[02:59] | Excuse me?! | 你说什么 |
[03:00] | Inside voices. You are upsetting the customers. | 小声点 你吵到其他客人了 |
[03:03] | Hold on, you Clay “Faiken”. | 等等 你这个冒牌Clay Aiken |
[03:05] | We are customers, and we are upset! | 我们是客人 你让我们不愉快了 |
[03:07] | Ma’am, don’t take this the wrong way, but she is just not our “brand”. | 小姐 别误会我的意思 但她不适合我们的品牌 |
[03:11] | – Is there a problem here? – Yes! | – 有什么问题吗 – 有 |
[03:14] | My friend saw an ad for this dress. It’s beautiful. It’s totally her. | 我朋友看到这洋装广告 超漂亮 超适合她 |
[03:21] | It’s intended for a different silhouette. | 这洋装是设计给不同的客户群 |
[03:24] | She took the morning off of work, which is a big deal. | 她上午请假半天 这可是件大事耶 |
[03:28] | And we both drove across town in rush hour to buy this dress. | 我们俩大老远 在尖峰时刻过来 特地要买这洋装 |
[03:33] | There’s an outlet store about a mile down on your left. | 在你左手边不远有间购物中心 |
[03:36] | I’m sure they’ll find a respectable, A-line, darted — | 你应该可以找到一件体面 A字剪裁 缝褶… |
[03:39] | Something flowy and appropriate. | 一件漂亮又适合你的洋装 |
[03:42] | They have a large selection. | 他们的尺码比较大 |
[03:45] | A- are you asking us… to leave? | 你… 请我们离开? |
[03:49] | And have a nice day. | 祝你有个愉快的一天 |
[04:09] | Coffee? Two sugars, right? | 来杯咖啡? 两匙糖 对吧 |
[04:11] | Um, sure. But last time I asked you for coffee… | 好阿 可我上次请你帮我倒咖啡 |
[04:14] | you said it was below your pay grade. | 你说你不是助理 |
[04:16] | And that was when I was a first year. | 那是我第一年工作 |
[04:18] | Now that we’re more like colleagues, consider it a friendly gesture. | 现在我们比较像是同事 就当是友善的表现 |
[04:23] | What do you want, friend? | 你想干麻 朋友 |
[04:25] | If I’m gonna make partner, I need more substantial, challenging cases. | 如果我要成为合伙人 我需要大一点 有挑战性的案子 |
[04:28] | I’d like you to send those types of clients my way. | 有这种案子就指派给我 |
[04:30] | – Parker, I have to talk to you. – Middle of something here. | Parker 我有话和你说 我们正在讲话 |
[04:32] | Stacy and I were just shopping at PDQ. See, I wanted to buy this dress — | 我和Stacy刚刚去PDQ血拼 是这样的 我想买这洋装 |
[04:35] | – An awesome dress. – The store didn’t carry my size… | – 超美洋装 – 店里没有我的尺码 |
[04:38] | and they practically threw us out. | 他们几乎是用赶的叫我们离开 |
[04:40] | They were very, very rude. | 他们超没礼貌的 |
[04:42] | Please get to the point. | 请讲重点 |
[04:43] | The store is part of a retail chain — Deep pockets. | 他们是连锁零售业 “深口袋” |
[04:46] | It means they have a lot of money. She explained it to me in the car. | 意思是他们有很多钱 她在车上向我解释了 |
[04:49] | She also told me that “res ipsa loquitur” is a legal term. | 她还解释了”Res ipsa loquitur”是个法律用语 (译注:事情本身说明一切) |
[04:53] | But doesn’t it sound like a large dinosaur? | 可是讲起来好像”large dinosaur”(大恐龙) |
[04:57] | Okay, so you want to sue PDQ, which I would never say no to. | 所以你想告PDQ 我不会阻止你 |
[05:01] | – What’s your cause of action? – Oh! Oh! Oh! Her right to shop. | 起诉缘由是什么 喔喔喔 购物的权利 |
[05:06] | Gonna have to do better than that. And since a lawyer… | 不够有说服力 俗话说 |
[05:09] | who represents herself has a fool for a client, you’ll need representation. Kim! | 自己打官司 只会丢人现眼 你需要有人帮你 Kim |
[05:15] | No. | 不要 |
[05:16] | I mean, as much as I support Jane’s desire to improve her wardrobe… | 我意思是 虽然我很支持Jane 想改善穿衣品味 |
[05:20] | – I don’t think so. – That’s okay. I can find someone else. | 我还是不想接 没关系 我可以找人帮我 |
[05:22] | Kim, since when do you turn down a challenging case? | Kim 你什么时候拒绝过有挑战性的案子了? |
[05:25] | Excuse me, Mr. Parker. There’s a guy in the lobby waiting for you. | 不好意思 Parker先生 有个男的在大厅等你 |
[05:28] | He’s got broad shoulders and no wedding ring, so if he asks about me… | 肩膀很宽 没戴婚戒 如果他问起我 |
[05:31] | I’m single with a cheery disposition. | 说我单身而且天性开朗乐观 |
[05:33] | – She doesn’t even like me — – Seriously, I’m very busy — | – 她根本看我不顺眼 – 真的 我忙的很 |
[05:36] | This firm was built on cutting-edge legal theories. | 这事务所专接法律前锋争论的案子 |
[05:38] | We took cases no one else wanted. | 我们接别人不想接的 |
[05:40] | You may have to think outside the box, but there’s a case here, and I can smell it. | 创新思维 会是个不错的官司 我感觉的到 |
[05:44] | And this is how associates prove themselves. | 这也是执业律师证明能力的方法 |
[05:49] | Thanks, friend. | 谢了 朋友 |
[05:57] | Hey, Kevin Hanson. Good to see you, man. | 嘿 Kevin Hanson 真高兴看到你 |
[06:01] | – It’s been a while. – Yeah, too long. | – 好一阵子不见了 – 对阿 好久了 |
[06:03] | It feels like we were just playing beer pong in the dorm basement. | 感觉我们不久前 才在宿舍地下室玩啤酒乒乓 |
[06:06] | Yeah, well, uh, that was a lifetime ago. | 是阿 像是上辈子的事 |
[06:08] | On the phone you sounded upset. Everything okay? | 你在电话里听起来很生气 没事吧 |
[06:11] | Can we speak privately? | 可以私底下谈吗 |
[06:13] | Sure. | 当然 |
[06:15] | In front of the other customers, this woman ushers me out of the store. | 在其他客人面前 那女人赶着要我出去 |
[06:19] | I’ve never been so humiliated. | 我从没有这么丢脸过 |
[06:21] | What about the time you lost that breath mint in your cleavage right in front of the partners? | 你在合伙人面前不小心 口香糖掉到乳沟里那次呢 |
[06:25] | – This is serious, Kim. – Very serious. | – 我是认真的 Kim – 非常认真 |
[06:28] | Quid pro quo. | 一报还一报 |
[06:30] | – Do you even know what that means? – Not exactly… | |
[06:33] | but I do know that being a lawyer is like having a super-power… | 但我知道当个律师 就像有超能力一样 |
[06:35] | and you better use your power to help my friend. | 你最好用用你的超能力 帮我好朋友 |
[06:38] | Thank you, Stacy. | 谢谢你 Stacy |
[06:42] | Would you excuse us? | 可以回避一下吗 |
[06:44] | Wonder woman here needs some alone time with your friend. | 神力女超人我 需要私下跟你好朋友谈谈 |
[06:47] | I will be right outside. | 我就在外面 |
[06:52] | Kim’s representing Jane in a lawsuit? | Kim要替Jane打官司? |
[06:55] | Oh, I can’t talk about it. I’m hoping to be a character witness. | 喔 我不能说 我有可能会当品格证人 |
[06:58] | That’s perfect, because you are a character. | 真是太适合了 因为你很有品格(指Stacy很逗趣) |
[07:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:03] | Your blouse is so cute. | 你的上衣好可爱喔 |
[07:05] | Really? You like it? | 真的吗 你喜欢吗 |
[07:07] | Um… I didn’t say that. | 呃 我没说我喜欢 |
[07:11] | “Party Girls Go Wild.” | “狂野派对女孩” |
[07:13] | – My daughter’s in it. – What? Jenny? | – 里面有我女儿 – 什么? Jenny? |
[07:16] | Wasn’t I just at her 4-year-old birthday party at the pony park? | 我不是才刚参加 她在小马公园的四岁生日派对 |
[07:19] | Yeah, 14 years ago. | 是阿 14年前 |
[07:22] | On her 18th birthday, she was visiting her mother in Boca. | 她18岁生日 到Boca(佛罗里达州)找她妈妈 |
[07:25] | To celebrate, she and some of her girlfriends went out to a club. | 庆生的时候 她和一些朋友去了夜店 |
[07:29] | She signed a consent form and… lifted her shirt for the camera. | 签了张同意书 然后就… 脱衣服入镜了 |
[07:36] | Kevin, I’m so sorry. Uh… | Kevin 我很抱歉 |
[07:39] | you know I would do anything for you or Jenny. | 我愿意帮忙你和Jenny任何事 |
[07:43] | How can I help? | 你希望我做什么 |
[07:44] | I was hoping you could get an injunction. | 我想请你弄个禁制令 |
[07:46] | Stop them from selling any more of this trash. | 禁止他们继续贩卖这垃圾光碟 |
[07:48] | She’s of age, and she signed a consent form. | 她成年了 也签同意书 |
[07:51] | All right, look, Jay, you and I didn’t just drift apart over the last few years. | 好吧 Jay 你 和我 这几年 可不是渐行渐远 |
[07:54] | – What? – Whenever we’d get together… | – 什么 – 我们聚在一起的时候 |
[07:56] | you’d go on and on and on about your job. Frankly, it was hard to listen to. | 你总是不停吹嘘你的律师工作 老实说 没人听的下去 |
[07:59] | – Kevin, what are you talking — – That’s why I stopped coming to poker night. | Kevin 你在说什么 所以我之后才不去扑克牌之夜 |
[08:02] | You’d sit there brag about how you twisted the law… | 你只会在吹牛说你怎么钻法律漏洞 |
[08:04] | and manipulated the jury so you could win some long shot of a case. | 操控陪审团 获胜机会很小的官司都能赢 |
[08:08] | Don’t get me wrong — Very happy for your success… | 别误会我意思 我替你成功的事业高兴 |
[08:11] | but it always bothered me that you didn’t em to care about right and wrong. | 但你不顾对错只想赢 让我很不爽 |
[08:14] | You took pride in victory at any cost. | 你对自己不择手段感到自豪 |
[08:16] | Well, I’m a lawyer. That’s what I do. | 我是律师 这是我的工作 |
[08:18] | Good. | 很好 |
[08:20] | I want you to do that for me. | 那就请你帮我 |
[08:24] | I’m sure this isn’t the first time a store didn’t carry your size. | 我确定这已经不是第一次 服饰店不做你的尺码了 |
[08:27] | – It’s not? – Why now? | – 真的吗 – 为什么现在要告 |
[08:29] | Well, I’m sure you’re right. | 我想你是对的 |
[08:31] | But, you know, at some point, enough is enough… is enough. | 但到了某个极限 够了就是够了… 就是够了 |
[08:34] | Thank you, Donna Summer, but you can’t sue for hurt feelings. | 谢谢你 Donna Summer 但伤害感情不能当理由 |
[08:37] | Seriously, Jane, you’re a smart lawyer, but I think you’re too emotionally involved in this. | 说真的 Jane 你是个聪明的律师 但我觉得你对这件事反应太大了 |
[08:40] | This won’t get past summary judgement. | 这连简易审判都过不了 |
[08:42] | Well, if you don’t think you can handle it, I’ll ask Parker for another lawyer. | 如果你觉得做不来 我可以请Parker换个律师给我 |
[08:45] | You know I can’t let you do that. | 我不能让你这么做 |
[08:47] | But regardless of my personal feelings — | 撇开我个人看法… |
[08:49] | You know, what are your personal feelings, Kim? | 你有什么个人看法阿 Kim? |
[08:54] | It doesn’t matter. | 不重要 |
[08:58] | It does to me. | 对我来说重要 |
[09:00] | Come on, how do you feel about this case? | 说说看 你对这案子有什么看法 |
[09:03] | How do you feel about your client? | 你对你的当事人有什么看法 |
[09:17] | When I look at you… | 我看着你 |
[09:18] | I see poor Jane banging her drum… | 我看到可怜的Jane大吵大闹 |
[09:21] | because she couldn’t buy a dress she wanted. | 只因为买不到想要的洋装 |
[09:23] | Poor Jane. | 可怜的Jane |
[09:27] | Do you know why I want my day in court… | 你知道为什么我想上法庭 |
[09:29] | why this is so important to me? | 为什么这件事对我这么重要吗 |
[09:33] | Why? | 为什么 |
[09:34] | Because of people like you. | 因为有你这种人 |
[09:41] | Let me get this straight, Ms. Kaswell. | 我重说一次 Kaswell小姐 |
[09:43] | You’re arguing that PDQ has violated your client’s rights… | 你的论点是 因为PDQ不做你当事人的尺码 |
[09:46] | because they don’t carry her size? | 所以他们侵犯了她的权益 |
[09:47] | I realize I’m asking you to extend federal protections — | 我是想请您延伸联邦法条 |
[09:50] | Stop, counselor. Retail outlets can choose to sell what they want. | 别说了 律师 零售业者有权卖他们想卖的 |
[09:53] | – The case will not be going forward. – Your honor… | |
[09:55] | we’re also suing or negligent infliction of emotional distress. | 我们同时要告 因疏忽或故意 造成情绪困扰 |
[09:58] | – What are you doing? – You have 10 seconds. | – 你在干嘛 – 给你10秒 |
[10:00] | The store advertises in women’s magazines targeted to the average woman. | 该店做的杂志广告 目标群为一般女性 |
[10:04] | Given that 66.3% of all women are considered overweight by the AMA… | 根据美国医学会研究 百分之66.3的女性都过重 |
[10:08] | the store knowingly taunts a majority of women who can’t wear their garments. | 该店故意地奚落了一大堆 穿不下他们服饰的女人 |
[10:11] | – That’s ridiculous. – You’re right. It is ridiculous. | – 这太可笑了 – 你说的对 是真的很可笑 |
[10:15] | I mean, why would PDQ want to disappoint so many women? | 为什么PDQ要另这么多人失望 |
[10:18] | – Your honor, do you read “Vogue”? – I do. | – 法官大人 你看《VOGUE杂志》吗 – 我会 |
[10:21] | And what dress size do you wear? | 那你衣服穿几号 |
[10:22] | Larger than a size 10, that’s for damn sure. | 保证大于十号 |
[10:24] | Your honor, she’s wasting the court’s time. | 法官大人 她在浪费庭上的时间 |
[10:26] | I’ll be the judge of that. | 法官是我 |
[10:28] | Jury selection begins this afternoon. | 陪审团遴选在今天下午 |
[10:34] | Jenny Hanson read and signed this release form. | Jenny Hanson 看过且签了发行文件 |
[10:37] | It’s ironclad. | 铁的事实 |
[10:38] | We have no intention of removing the DVD from the market. | 我们无意将光碟撤架 |
[10:41] | We believe Jenny signed this document under duress, thereby rendering it invalid. | 我们认为Jenny是被胁迫签下同意书 所以视为无效 |
[10:45] | That’s bogus. How do you sleep at night? | 真是混帐 你晚上怎么睡得着 |
[10:48] | I run a successful business, and I sleep like a baby. | 我事业有成 睡的像婴儿一样甜 |
[10:52] | Well, you’re not gonna get away with it. Not this time. | 你不可能逃的过的 这次不会 |
[10:54] | Your daughter knew what she was doing, Mr. Hanson. | 你女儿知道自己在干嘛 Hanson先生 |
[10:56] | – Aw, like hell she did. – Dad, hold on. It’s true. | – 说的像真的一样 – 爸 是真的 |
[10:59] | – Nobody forced me to sign — – Jenny, I’m advising you to stay quiet. | 没人逼我签 Jenny 我建议你不要说话 |
[11:02] | They took advantage of the situation. You were caught up in the moment — | 他们利用当时的情况 事情发生的太突然 |
[11:05] | Stop. Mr. Parker, nobody took advantage of me. | 别说了 Parker先生 没有人利用我 |
[11:08] | – Jenny, let us handle this. – Dad, I know that this is hard for you… | Jenny 让我们应付 爸 我知道这对你来说不容易 |
[11:12] | but I’m an adult, and I can make my own decisions. | 但我成年了 我可以自己做决定 |
[11:14] | Honey. | 亲爱的 |
[11:20] | She’s feisty. | 真火辣 |
[11:22] | – Do you have any kids, Mr. Mack? – Nope, but if I did… | – 你有孩子吗 Mack先生 – 没 如果有的话 |
[11:26] | I wouldn’t let them be in something like this. | 我才不会让她卷入这种事 |
[11:28] | Let’s go. | 我们走 |
[11:30] | Uh, hold on. Just one more thing. | 等等 还有一件事 |
[11:32] | Kevin! | |
[11:38] | I think I’ll put Jenny on the cover of our next release. | 下次发行光碟 我会让Jenny上封面 |
[11:40] | – Get out of here. – See you in court. | – 滚出去 – 法庭见 |
[11:42] | We’ll be suing your client for assault. | 我们要告你当事人伤害罪 |
[11:48] | – Where are you going? – Jury selection on your case. | – 你要去哪 – 你案子的陪审团遴选 |
[11:50] | – I’m going with you. – I don’t think so. | – 我跟你一起去 – 不了 |
[11:52] | It’s my legal right to be there, and I want to exercise it. | 我有法律权利 我要执行这权利(与运动同字) |
[11:54] | I’m all for exercising. I can even recommend a gym. But I know how to select a jury. | 我最赞成运动了 我可以推荐你健身房 陪审团遴选我会 |
[11:58] | I’m not saying you don’t, but I might have a different perspective that could be helpful. | 我不是说你不会 但我可能会有 不同角度的观点 会有帮助 |
[12:01] | Look, you hijacked me at summary judgment, and you were lucky to get a sympathetic judge… | 听着 你在简易审判打断我 幸好有个富同情心的法官 |
[12:04] | – but I can handle this. – I know, Kim, but — | – 这事我可以自己来 – 我知道 Kim 但是 |
[12:06] | If you want me to treat you like a real client, you need to act like one — You can’t manage me. | 你要我待你像个客户 你就自己要安分点 你不能这样随便插手 |
[12:10] | Well, if I thought you believed in the case, I’d back off, but you don’t. | 如果我感受到你认同这案子 我就放手 但你没有 |
[12:13] | As your lawyer, I will do whatever it takes to win, but you’re right — | 身为你的律师 我愿意做任何事赢这官司 但你说的对 |
[12:16] | If I were on that jury, I would tell you to grow up or go on a diet. | 如果我是陪审团 我就会叫你成熟点或者去减肥 |
[12:19] | Which is exactly why I’ll be at that jury selection. | 这也正是为什么我要和你去选陪审团 |
[12:28] | Ms. Carrera, how long have you been married, and what is your husband’s profession? | Carrera小姐 你结婚几年 还有… 你丈夫的职业是? |
[12:31] | He’s a podiatrist. Our 10th anniversary is Tuesday. | 他是足科医师 周四是我们十周年纪念日 |
[12:34] | Ms. Carrera is acceptable. | 我们接受Carrera小姐 |
[12:36] | – To us as well. – Wait. One more question. | – 我们也是 – 等等 还有一个问题 |
[12:38] | Ms. Carrera, you have a nice figure. Do you have to watch your weight? | Carrera小姐 你身材不错 你是不是很注意体重? |
[12:42] | High metabolism. So, happily, no. | 新陈代谢好 所以不用 |
[12:44] | The plaintiffs exercise a peremptory challenge. | 原告行使陪审团人选反对权 |
[12:47] | Ms. Carrera, you’re excused. | Carrera小姐 你可以离开了 |
[12:50] | Yes, I’m married, with five terrific kids. | 是的 我结婚了 有五个很棒的孩子 |
[12:53] | – Take him. – Why? | – 接受 – 为什么 |
[12:55] | His wife has given birth five times. Chances are she’s not wearing outfits from PDQ. | 他妻子生了五个小孩 很可能不穿PDQ的衣服 |
[12:59] | Acceptable. | 接受 |
[13:01] | No, I don’t know the names of any clothing designers. | 我不知道任何设计师名字 |
[13:04] | She doesn’t care about clothing. That’s the heart of our case. | 她不在乎穿着 但那是本案重点 |
[13:07] | It’s 75 degrees, and she’s wearing a scarf. It’s probably hiding a double chin. | 现在摄氏24度 她还围围巾 可能要遮双下巴 |
[13:10] | She would relate to another woman who’s treated differently because of her size. | 所以能体会女生 因为身材而遭歧视的感受 |
[13:15] | – Right. – Acceptable. | 对 接受 |
[13:18] | My name’s Alessandro Van — | 我叫Alessandro Van… |
[13:20] | – Pass. – Excused. | – 过 – 离开 |
[13:32] | No, I’ve never filed a lawsuit, and I’ve never been sued. | 我没有告过人 也没有被告过 |
[13:36] | He’s wearing a toupee. He’d understand body issues. | 他戴假发 他在意外表 |
[13:38] | This isn’t about my body issues. | 重点不是我的外表 |
[13:40] | This is about a store who has issues with my body. | 而是一间在意我外表的服饰店 |
[13:42] | Society tells women to be thin and men to have a good head of hair. | 社会观点就是女人要瘦 男人要有头发 |
[13:48] | – Acceptable. | – Acceptable. – 接受 – 接受 |
[13:49] | Our jury is impaneled. | 陪审团人选确定 |
[13:51] | See you all back here first thing tomorrow. | 明天请回来法庭 |
[13:57] | Sorry to interrupt. We just got your text. | 抱歉打扰了 我们刚收到简讯 |
[13:59] | Kim, Jane, this is Mr. Warren Gunther. He’s one of the firm’s biggest clients. | Kim Jane 这位是Warren Gunther 我们事务所大客户之一 |
[14:03] | – Nice to meet you. – We have a bit of a situation. | |
[14:05] | See, I didn’t realize that Mr. Gunther owns 25% of PDQ… | 我没有注意到 Gunther先生的控股公司 |
[14:09] | through his diversified holding company. | 间接拥有PDQ四分之一股权 |
[14:11] | I’m the single largest shareholder. | 我是单一最大股东 |
[14:13] | Well, in that case, I’d like to give your 25% a piece of my mind. | 这样的话 我可以给你四分之一的想法 |
[14:16] | Jane, that’s not why he’s here. You’re dropping the case. | Jane 他不是为此而来 你的官司就到这 |
[14:20] | What? No, you said I could sue. | 什么 不行 你说我可以告的 |
[14:22] | You told me to find a cause of action, and I did. | 你叫我找到起诉缘由 我也找了 |
[14:25] | And I appreciate the effort, but given the circumstances… | 你的投入我很欣慰 但现在这情况 |
[14:28] | I’m telling you to withdraw the complaint. | 我要你撤销官司 |
[14:30] | – You have a problem with that? – Not at all. Consider it dropped. | 有什么意见吗 一点也没 案子就到这 |
[14:34] | No way. I am sorry — | 才不要 抱歉我… |
[14:36] | Jane, this is not up for discussion. You work for Harrison & Parker. | Jane 我没有问你意见 你替Harrison & Parker工作 |
[14:38] | I’m Parker. My decision is final. | 我是Parker 我的决定就是这样 |
[14:51] | In summation, I’d like to say… | 总而言之 我要说的是 |
[14:55] | * Bill Bailey, won’t you please * | * Bill Bailey 拜托你 * |
[14:57] | * Come home, come home, Bill Bailey * | * 回家吧 回家 Bill Bailey * |
[15:00] | * Bill Bailey, won’t you please * | * Bill Bailey 拜托你 * |
[15:04] | * Come on ho-me * | * 回家吧 * |
[15:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:17] | Thank you very much. Thank you. | 谢谢各位 谢谢 |
[15:19] | Jane, your voice blows me away. | Jane 你的声音让我飘飘然 |
[15:23] | Effortless, passionate, you even show vulnerability. | 毫不费力 热情又带点脆弱 |
[15:27] | Bill Bailey’s definitely coming home. | Bill Bailey一定会回家的 |
[15:30] | Thank you. | Thank you. Thank you. 谢谢各位 谢谢 |
[15:33] | But, Jane, he’s gonna head straight for the hills… | 但是 Jane 他一看到你单调素色的衣服 |
[15:36] | once he sees that monochromatic microfiber. | 可会马上又离家 |
[15:38] | – What? – Yeah. | – 什么 – 没错 |
[15:40] | No. Paula. You tell everyone they look great. | 不 Paula 你对每个人都说很美 |
[15:43] | Jane, you bring it with your voice… | Jane 你用声音赢得大家的心 |
[15:45] | but you lose it with that choice. | 但衣服品味会让你输掉 |
[15:47] | I mean, even I did something with this black polyester tragedy. | 就连我 也把这件黑色丑死人的法官袍 |
[15:51] | Belted and bedazzled. | 配上皮带让人惊艳 |
[15:56] | You’re right. | 你说的对 |
[15:59] | Tell me, Jane — | 告诉我 Jane |
[16:00] | Why didn’t you dress more like your co-counsel? | 你为什么不学学你的同事呢 |
[16:10] | Now, that dress moves me. | 看 那洋装打动了我 |
[16:12] | It’s modern cut… | 剪裁时尚 |
[16:13] | yet recalls the classic Chanel little black dress. | 令人想到香奈儿的经典黑色小洋装 |
[16:17] | And wait till you hear me sing. | 听我开口唱再说 |
[16:18] | Why? You don’t need to. With that dress alone… | 何必呢 根本不需要 光那件洋装 |
[16:20] | you’re gonna make it to the final four. | 包准你进前四强 |
[16:27] | Objection! | 反对 |
[16:28] | Good, Jane. You should object. But not to me. | 很好 Jane 你该反对 但不是反对我 |
[16:31] | To PDQ for the way that they treated you. | 应该反对PDQ给你的待遇 |
[16:34] | Wait a minute. You know about PDQ? | 等等 你怎么知道PDQ的事 |
[16:36] | – You know about my lawsuit? – Paula knows everything. | – 你知道我那件官司 – 没有事情Paula不知道的 |
[16:40] | But what I do know most is that you have an amazing and unique voice. | 而我在清楚不过 你有个完美 独特的嗓音 |
[16:45] | Don’t give up the fight. | 别放弃认输 |
[16:46] | I won’t, your honor Abdul. | 我不会的 法官大人Abdul |
[16:49] | It’s nice being the only judge. Good luck, Jane. | 当唯一的法官(评审)真好 祝你好运 Jane |
[16:52] | Jane? Jane. Jane! | |
[16:55] | Jane? Jane! | |
[16:57] | Good morning, sunshine. | 早安 阳光美人 |
[16:59] | Wow, you haven’t pulled an all-nighter since before you were shot. | 自从你中弹之后 就没熬夜过了 |
[17:02] | I just had the strangest dream. | 我刚做了超怪的梦 |
[17:05] | Paula Abdul was a judge, and I was singing this old song… | Paula Abdul是法官 我唱的是以前在 |
[17:08] | that we used to sing at Camp Winnipesaukee. | Winnipesaukee营唱的一首老歌 |
[17:10] | Okay, no more chili after midnight. | 半夜过后不准吃辣椒了 |
[17:13] | What’s this? | 这是什么 |
[17:15] | Fruit, tea, and a bear claw from your favorite bakery. | 水果 茶 你最爱的面包店买的熊掌面包 |
[17:20] | Yes. I got up at 5:00 a.m. and drove to Simi Valley… | 没错 我五点起床 开车到西米谷市(南加州)帮你买的 |
[17:23] | because I am so damn proud of you. | 因为我替你感到骄傲 |
[17:27] | Proud of — why? | 感到骄傲 为什么 |
[17:29] | Jane, in high school, I wore the same two pairs of jeans… | Jane 高中的时候 我两条牛仔裤轮流穿 |
[17:32] | in rotation, because I didn’t want to go to the mall. | 因为我不想去卖场买新裤子 |
[17:35] | ‘Cause you were poor. | 因为你很穷 |
[17:36] | No, because I didn’t always have this perfect, flawless body… | 不是 因为我没有完美无缺的身材 |
[17:41] | and my self-esteem was in the toilet. | 我的自尊心呢 在马桶里 |
[17:46] | I was, um… | 我很… |
[17:48] | I was a big girl, and… | 我是个大女孩 然后 |
[17:50] | the salespeople always made me feel like… | 店员常常让我觉得… |
[17:54] | anything other than skinny was wrong. | 自己不苗条就是不对 |
[17:58] | And you are telling those people… | 你就是在告诉那些人 |
[18:01] | that we are not the problem — They are. | 我们才没有问题 有问题的是他们 |
[18:07] | You know Parker told me to drop the case? | 你知道Parker叫我撤销这官司吗 |
[18:09] | Yeah, but you were here all night, which means you’re not listening to him. | 知道阿 但你整晚待在这 表示你没听进他说的 |
[18:12] | So let’s brush your hair. | 把头发梳一梳 |
[18:14] | – Is Parker here yet? – Whoo. And teeth. | – Parker来了没 – 呼 漱个口 |
[18:17] | Yeah, he’s nuking his breakfast burrito in the kitchen. | 他在厨房 热墨西哥卷饼当早餐 |
[18:27] | Okay. | 好 |
[18:34] | Parker, I need to talk to you. | Parker 我有事找你谈 |
[18:36] | I have a morning meeting, but you can have… 20 seconds. | 我要早上有会要开 给你… 20秒 |
[18:39] | All right, well, normally, I wouldn’t have to write all this out… | 好 平常情况 我不会就这么写出来 |
[18:42] | but I’m tired, so here it goes. | 但我实在累了 所以… |
[18:44] | “If you try and prevent me from suing PDQ… | “如果你试着阻止我告PDQ” |
[18:46] | “I can file a claim against you for violating the protections afforded me… | “我可以根据加州劳工法” “特别是报复员工行为条款” |
[18:49] | “under the California Labor Code, in particular… | “告你违反员工权益维护” |
[18:51] | “the section on retaliatory employment activities. | “向事务所提出索赔” |
[18:54] | Hence, and theretofore, I will sue PDQ, or I will sue you.” | “所以 不是告PDQ 就是告你” |
[19:05] | Do you want to get your burrito? | 你的墨西哥卷饼好了 |
[19:07] | Are you threatening the man who hired you and gave you that corner office? | 你在威胁这个雇用你 给你角落办公室的人吗 |
[19:10] | I don’t really think of it as a threat. I think of it more as… | 别当这是威胁 当作是… |
[19:14] | Okay, remember when Jennifer Hudson was on “American Idol”, and Simon was all like… | 还记得Jennifer Hudson上美国偶像 评审Simon就说 |
[19:18] | “You are going nowhere, Jennifer Hudson. You are not the American Idol”… | “你成不了大器 Jennifer Hudson” “你不是美国偶像的料” |
[19:21] | and then J-Hud went on to win the Oscar for “Dreamgirls”. | 后来J-Hud拍”梦幻女郎”赢了座奥斯卡 |
[19:24] | And then Simon was like, “I’m sorry, Jennifer Hudson. | Simon就说 “对不起 Jennifer Hudson” |
[19:27] | What was I thinking?” | “我当时在想什么” |
[19:29] | You don’t want to be Simon, do you? | 你不想像Simon那样 对吧 |
[19:31] | – Is this when you start singing? – My point is — | – 所以你要开始唱歌了吗 – 我的重点是 |
[19:33] | I don’t like ultimatums, Bingum. | 我不喜欢最后通牒 Bingum |
[19:35] | Well, then consider it a strong request. | 那就当这是强烈请求 |
[19:39] | Parker, please. I have to do this. | Parker 拜托 我一定要做这件事 |
[19:44] | And as the man who hired me, it would mean a lot if I had your support. | 而且作为我的上司 你的支持对我来说很重要 |
[19:50] | I’ll speak to Warren. | 我会跟Warren说 |
[19:52] | I’ll tell him I don’t support your suit… | 告诉他 我不支持你起诉 |
[19:54] | but I won’t stop it, either. | 但我也不会阻止你 |
[19:56] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[19:58] | Kim. | |
[19:59] | I don’t eat burritos for breakfast, Parker. That’s disgusting. | 我不吃墨西哥卷饼当早餐的 Parker 太恶心了 |
[20:04] | You’re back on the PDQ case. | 你继续接PDQ案子 |
[20:06] | Uh… | |
[20:08] | – What did you do? – Better get to work, Kim. | – 你做了什么 – 快点开始吧 Kim |
[20:32] | – Good morning. – I know it’s none of my business… | – 早安 – 我知道不干我的事 |
[20:34] | and you guys have your needs. | 你们男人有需求 |
[20:38] | – Jane. – Pornography is a huge industry… | 色情业很昌荣 |
[20:40] | with $12 billion in annual sales a year, even in a soft economy. | 每年可赚1亿2千万 景气差照赚 |
[20:45] | – Oh! How do I know that? – I don’t — | – 喔 我怎么连这都知道 – 我不是… |
[20:47] | You should at least close the blinds, okay? | 至少也把窗帘拉下来 可以吗 |
[20:53] | – This isn’t funny. – Oh. No. | – 这不好笑 – 喔 不是 |
[20:55] | Pornography is not appropriate at work. | 工作场合看A片很不恰当 |
[20:58] | Especially at 9:00 a.m. | 尤其现在才九点 |
[21:00] | – I’m on a case. – Oh, yeah. Nice try. | – 这是案子 – 是吗 少骗人 |
[21:03] | This is Jenny Hanson. Parker’s friends with her father. | 这是Jenny Hanson 她爸是Parker的朋友 |
[21:06] | He asked me to review the material. | 他要我把资料看过 |
[21:08] | I’m looking for grounds to get an injunction. | 我在找可以发禁制令的理由 |
[21:13] | Well, then, I’m embarrassed. | 这样的话 我真丢人 |
[21:17] | – I didn’t mean — – Don’t worry about it. | – 我不是要… – 没关系啦 |
[21:24] | At that age, we all do things we regret, don’t we? | 这年纪的我们 都尽做些会后悔的事 对吧 |
[21:26] | You’d think. But she doesn’t seem to regret it. | 可不是嘛 但她看起来不后悔 |
[21:30] | Yeah, right. | 才怪 |
[21:31] | What teenager wants to admit they were pressured into doing something? | 哪个青少年会承认 自己做决定是因为被压迫 |
[21:35] | I mean, trust me, I know. | 相信我 我知道 |
[21:39] | Uh, this is humiliating… | 听起来很丢人 |
[21:41] | but when I was 18, I entered a wet t-shirt contest. | 我18岁的时候 参加过湿T恤大赛 |
[21:45] | And it ended up on the internet, and my parents saw it. | 后来影片被放到网路上 我爸妈都看到了 |
[21:50] | I was mortified, but I pretended like I couldn’t care less. | 我觉得很丢脸 但还是装做不在意 |
[21:53] | – I don’t believe it. – No, it’s true. | – 我不敢相信 – 是真的阿 |
[21:55] | I swear. I even came in second. | 我发誓 我还是第二名呢 |
[21:58] | I believe you. It’s just the exact same thing happened to Deb. | 我相信你 只是Deb也发生过一模一样的事 |
[22:01] | At Bar Five, on Melrose. | 在Melrose的第五酒吧 |
[22:06] | Right. It happened to me at Bar… Six, on Sunset. | 是喔 我是在Sunset的第六酒吧 |
[22:09] | – There’s a Bar Six? – Look, my point is… | – 有第六酒吧? – 我的重点是 |
[22:12] | every girl has her regrets. They just don’t let on. | 每个女生都会有后悔的事 只是没表现出来 |
[22:17] | Oh, I should get going. Uh, good luck with your case. | 我该走了 祝你好运 |
[22:46] | I was shocked and angry. | 我又吃惊又生气 |
[22:48] | They were rude, and then they kicked me out of their store… | 他们很没礼貌 接着把我赶出去 |
[22:51] | like some sort of criminal. | 好像犯了什么罪一样 |
[22:53] | Explain to the jury why you felt “shocked and angry”. | 告诉大家 你为什么”又吃惊又生气” |
[22:56] | Well, because I really wanted that dress. | 因为我真的很想要那件洋装 |
[22:58] | You were angry over a dress? I don’t buy it. | 为了一件洋装生气? 我不相信 |
[23:03] | – What are you doing, Kim? – I know you professionally, Ms. Bingum. | 你在干麻 Kim 我看过你的专业表现 Bingum小姐 |
[23:05] | I’ve never seen you angry over something as trivial as a dress. | 从没见过你 为了件洋装这种小事生气 |
[23:09] | Why are you really angry? | 你真正生气的原因是什么 |
[23:16] | Because they made me feel like I don’t count… | 因为他们让我觉得自己不重要 |
[23:20] | Like I was less important than someone like… | 好像比你这种人 |
[23:26] | you. | 低一等 |
[23:30] | One more question — Did the magazine ad indicate… | 最后一个问题 杂志有写明 |
[23:32] | that the dress was only available to skinny women? | 这件洋装只给瘦子穿吗 |
[23:35] | – Definitely not. – Thank you. | – 当然没有 – 谢谢 |
[23:38] | Nothing further. | 没有问题了 |
[23:44] | Ms. Bingum, does a candy company need to indicate… | Bingum小姐 糖果公司需要 |
[23:46] | that its advertisements for chocolate aren’t suitable for a diabetic? | 在巧克力广告上写明 糖尿病患者不能吃吗 |
[23:50] | Are you comparing me to a diabetic or a dress to chocolate? | 你是把我比喻成糖尿病 还是把洋装比喻成巧克力 |
[23:55] | I’m asking if you think all ads are geared to all people. | 我只是问你 是否认为广告都适用所有人 |
[23:59] | – Of course not, but — – And do you think my client… | – 当然不是 但… – 那你是否认为 |
[24:01] | has a legal right to advertise its products in any magazine it chooses? | 我的当事人 有法律权益去选择 任何想广告杂志 |
[24:06] | – Well, yes, but — – Thank you. | – 对 但是 – 谢谢 |
[24:16] | You know, you kind of caught me off guard on the stand. You could have warned me. | 作证的时候 你让我有点措手不及 你可以事先跟我说 |
[24:19] | I wanted your reaction to feel authentic, and it was. | 我要你做出自然反应 也成功了 |
[24:21] | The jury needs to empathize with you, right? | 陪审团也产生共鸣 对吧 |
[24:23] | Yeah. Good point. | 说的也是 |
[24:25] | You know, for the first time, I feel like you actually understand me. | 你知道吗 我第一次… 感觉到你真的了解我 |
[24:28] | Please, I’ve had to listen to you whine for the past 24 hours. | 拜托 我昨天整天都听你抱怨 |
[24:31] | – I had to make it work for us. – Of course. | – 我当然要想个好办法 – 当然 |
[24:33] | Okay, so the defense just made some very valid points. | 那刚刚辩方提出了合理的论点 |
[24:36] | What’s our next move? | 你打算怎么办 |
[24:37] | Don’t worry. I have a little trick up my sleeve. | 别担心 我还有个锦囊妙计 |
[24:40] | Oh, and there she is. Stacy! | 喔 她来了 Stacy |
[24:42] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[24:43] | – Stacy’s your trick? – That’s right. | – Stacy是你的妙计? – 没错 |
[24:45] | Ladies, I’m ready for my close-up. | 各位 我已经准备好”close-up”(特写)了 |
[24:55] | – What can I get you? – A moment of your time. | – 需要什么? – 一点时间 |
[24:58] | Look, Mr. Parker, I’m not gonna say… | 听着 Parker先生 我不会说 |
[25:00] | I signed that thing under duress, ’cause it’s not true. | 我是受到胁迫签同意书的 因为真的没有 |
[25:03] | We just want to talk. | 我只想跟你聊聊 |
[25:06] | I had just moved to L.A. I was setting up my TV… | 我那时刚到洛杉矶 在装电视 |
[25:09] | to watch the finale of a show called “Twin Peaks”… | 想看影集”双峰”的完结篇 |
[25:11] | but I never got to see the ending because your father called from the hospital. | 但我没看到结局 因为你爸从医院打来 |
[25:14] | I raced over with my box of Cubans… | 我带着一盒古巴雪茄飞奔过去 |
[25:17] | and when I got there, your father was holding you. | 到的时候 你爸已经抱着你了 |
[25:19] | Why are you here, Mr. Parker? | 你来这干麻 Parker先生 |
[25:22] | Jenny, uh… | |
[25:24] | this is a photo still from your video. | 这张照片是从那光碟截图下来的 |
[25:27] | You see the clock in the background. It reads 1:11 in the morning. | 你看后面这时钟 显示凌晨1点11分 |
[25:31] | So what? | 那又怎样 |
[25:32] | It was April 23rd, your 18th birthday, in Florida. | 那天是4月23号 佛罗里达算来 是你的18岁生日 |
[25:35] | But it was three hours earlier in California, where you were born. | 比你出生地加州 还早了三小时 |
[25:38] | So, technically, you weren’t 18 yet. | 所以 技术上来说 你还没满18 |
[25:40] | You’re technically a minor, so we might be able to stop the sale of the DVD. | 你还算是未成年 所以我们有机会让光碟撤架 |
[25:43] | If I file for an injunction, we’d like to have you on board. | 如果我要申请禁制令 我希望你能站在我们这边 |
[25:47] | I don’t think so. | 不了 |
[25:48] | Jenny, your father is a good man. He just wants to protect you. | Jenny 你爸爸是个好人 他只想保护你 |
[25:51] | He’s too protective. | 太过保护了 |
[25:53] | Like it or not, I’m 18, and I make my own decisions. | 不管你接不接受 我都18了 可以自己做决定 |
[25:56] | We know you’re not ashamed of the DVD, and your participation was your choice. | 我们知道你不后悔 你决定参予拍摄 是你的选择 |
[25:59] | – That’s right. – But think about your future. | – 没错 – 但是想想你的未来 |
[26:01] | You might not always feel the same way as you do now. | 你以后想法会改变 |
[26:05] | So I won’t run for president, okay? | 我又没有要选总统 可以吗 |
[26:08] | I admit — maybe it wasn’t the smartest decision… | 我承认 这决定很不明智 |
[26:11] | but it’s my life, and I’ll live with the consequences. | 但这是我的人生 结果我自己负责 |
[26:13] | And if you tell us to drop the suit, we will, but you need to understand… | 如果你要我们放弃 我们就听你的 但你要知道 |
[26:16] | you have another choice here. | 你现在还有另一个选择 |
[26:18] | We have the legal grounds to fight this. | 这案子我们有了法律依据 |
[26:20] | We think we can get an injunction, but it’s your decision. | 我觉得能拿到禁制令 但由你决定 |
[26:25] | My name is Henri Malique. | 我叫Henri Malique |
[26:27] | I’m the chief fashion designer for PDQ incorporated. | 我是PDQ公司首席设计师 |
[26:30] | So you design everything they sell? | 所以他们卖的 都是你设计的 |
[26:32] | That is what the word “chief” means, yes. | 那就是”首席”的意思 没错 |
[26:35] | Would the blonde in the third row please stand up? | 第三排的金发女士请站起来 |
[26:38] | That’s my cue. | 在叫我了 |
[26:41] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[26:44] | – Who designed this dress? – That is from my collection. | – 这洋装是谁设计的 – 是我的设计之一 |
[26:48] | And may I say you look fantastic? | 容我称赞你真是漂亮极了 |
[26:51] | Why doesn’t PDQ sell anything larger than a size 10? | 为什么PDQ不做超过10号的衣服 |
[26:53] | It would be impossible… | 把我的设计 |
[26:55] | to put one of my designs on a… larger woman. | 穿到一个大尺码女人身上 是不可能的 |
[27:00] | – Impossible. – Yes | – 不可能 – 没错 |
[27:01] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[27:02] | Would Jane Bingum please stand up? | Jane Bingum请站起来 |
[27:15] | Who designed Ms. Bingum’s outfit? | Bingum小姐的洋装是谁设计的 |
[27:18] | It’s my design, with some alterations. | 是我的设计 做了一些更改 |
[27:21] | Panels of fabric have been added to the sides. | 两侧多加了布料 |
[27:23] | That’s right. I had my tailor modify your design. | 没错 我请我的裁缝师修改的 |
[27:25] | And Jane looks fantastic, doesn’t she? | Jane看起来很美 对吧 |
[27:27] | Yeah, but she’s not the intended silhouette. | 对 但她不是该洋装的目标群 |
[27:30] | I understand. But you said it would be “impossible”… | 我了解 但你说要一个大尺码女人 |
[27:32] | for a larger woman to wear your design. | 穿上你的设计 是不可能的 |
[27:35] | – Do you know what the word “impossible” means? – Objection — badgering. | 你知道”不可能”是什么意思吗 反对 责问证人 |
[27:38] | Withdrawn. Nothing further. | 撤回 没有问题了 |
[27:42] | Mr. Malique, why don’t you design for larger women? | Malique先生 你为什么不设计大尺码服饰 |
[27:47] | It’s my preference. | 这是我个人喜好 |
[27:49] | – And my right. – Your right? | – 也是我的权益 – 你的权益? |
[27:51] | Yes, I have a contract with PDQ that gives me complete creative freedom. | 是的 我和PDQ的合约写明 有完全的创作自由 |
[27:55] | So, creatively, I choose to design for a specific kind of woman. | 所以 创作自由 我决定只设计给特定的女人 |
[28:00] | Well, then how do you respond to women like Ms. Bingum… | 对于像Bingum小姐这些 穿不下你设计的女人 |
[28:02] | who can’t fit into your line? | 有什么回应 |
[28:06] | I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings… | 很抱歉如果我说的太直 |
[28:09] | but I don’t tell you how to do your job. You shouldn’t tell me how to do mine. | 我没对你的工作品头论足 你不应该对我品头论足 |
[28:13] | Nothing further. | 没有问题了 |
[28:16] | So, that last bit didn’t go so well. | 所以后半段进行的不是很顺利 |
[28:18] | If there’s nothing further, we’ll move on to the closing. | 如果没有其他事情 我们将进行结案陈词 |
[28:21] | Kim, stop her. If this goes to closing arguments, we’ve lost. | Kim 阻止她 如果进行结案陈词 我们会输 |
[28:23] | – We don’t have any more witnesses. – Then buy us some time. | 我们没有其他证人了阿 那就争取时间 |
[28:26] | Uh, your honor, may I have five minutes to conference with my client? | 法官大人 我可以要求五分钟和我的当事人谈谈吗 |
[28:29] | – What’s going on, counselor? – Five minutes. That’s all I need. | 怎么回事 律师 我只要求五分钟 |
[28:33] | I’m watching the clock. | 我会看时间 |
[28:36] | – All right, what do you want me to do, Jane? – I admit you were right. | 好 你要我怎么做 Jane 我承认你是对的 |
[28:39] | We’re not gonna win this based on the law or my feelings. | 我们没办法用我的感受或是法律来赢 |
[28:41] | Good. At least we agree on that. | 很好 我们意见相同 |
[28:43] | But Parker said we have to think outside the box. | 但Parker说要创新思维 |
[28:45] | Right. | 没错 |
[28:45] | The designer claimed that he has a contract with the company… | 设计师说 他和公司有合约 |
[28:48] | allowing him to design whatever he wants, but… | 给他完全的创作自由 但是… |
[28:50] | what if we could show that the contract was counter to the company’s best interests? | 如果我们证明那合约 有违公司最大利益呢? |
[28:53] | – I don’t think I follow. – PDQ is owned by investors. | – 我没听懂 – PDQ需要投资人投资 |
[28:56] | Management has a responsibility to maximize profits, right? | 管理阶层有义务 创造最大营收 对吧 |
[29:00] | You want me to argue that their business practices are suboptimal? | 你要我把论点放在 盈利策略不够理想 |
[29:03] | Yeah, why not? We amend our complaint and push on. | 对阿 试试看 我们可以修改控告 再上诉 |
[29:06] | The plaintiff would like to call a rebuttal witness — | 原告一方 想声请传唤反驳证人 |
[29:08] | Warren Gunther, the largest shareholder in PDQ. | Warren Gunther… PDQ最大股东 |
[29:10] | Objection. Mr. Gunther has nothing relevant to add to this case. | 反对 Gunther先生与本案无关 |
[29:13] | He’s on our witness list. It’s our right to question him. | 他在我们证人名单上 我们有权传唤他 |
[29:15] | He’s a hands-off investor who has very little knowledge of my client’s business. | 他没介入我当事人 公司的营运 且对于该公司知之甚少 |
[29:19] | – I’ll be calling him as an expert witness. – An expert on what? | 我将传他为专家证人 哪方面专家 |
[29:24] | Um… | |
[29:26] | um… | |
[29:28] | – General business knowledge. | – General business knowledge. 一般商业管理 一般商业管理 |
[29:31] | – Which will be instructive to the jury. | – Which will be instructive to the jury. 能让陪审团更理解本案 |
[29:33] | I heard her, Ms. Kaswell. | 我有听到她说的 Kaswell小姐 |
[29:35] | Your honor, if the defense didn’t want us to call this witness… | 法官大人 如果被告反对我们传唤这位证人 |
[29:37] | they should have objected in the pretrial motion in limine. | 他就该在审判前的剔除证据听证会提出 |
[29:40] | It’s S.O.P. to have the names of all the major shareholders on the witness list. | 列出主要股东名单作为证人 是标准作业程序 |
[29:43] | We didn’t think she would actually call any of them. | 我们没想到原告会真的传唤他们 |
[29:45] | Well, you thought wrong. We’ll hear from Mr. Gunther this afternoon. | 那是你没想到 我们今天下午将听Gunther先生证词 |
[29:49] | – That was great. – Parker’s gonna kill you. | – 我们成功了 – Parker会杀了你 |
[29:52] | Why? | 为什么 |
[29:53] | Because if this doesn’t go well, I’m telling him it was all your idea. | 这事如果没弄成 我会跟他说是你的主意 |
[30:02] | Given that Jenny was only 17 years, 364 days… | 基于Jenny拍摄影片时 |
[30:05] | and 22 hours old when you shot your footage… | 才17岁364天又22小时 |
[30:08] | we believe this contract is voided. | 我们认为合约无效 |
[30:10] | We’d like you to immediately withdraw the DVD from the marketplace. | 要求你们 立刻将市面上的光碟 全部撤架 |
[30:13] | You dragged us back to your office on a technicality? | 你要我们大老远过来 就因为一个技术上的问题 |
[30:15] | – This is getting tedious. – She was 18. That’s what we’ll say in court. | 真是越来越难缠 她已经18岁 我们上法庭也是会这么说 |
[30:18] | And I’m sure that might work out for you, but I think most judges… | 我确定对你来说可以 但我想 |
[30:21] | will find your client so reprehensible, they’ll be looking for any loophole to slap him down. | 多数法官都不怎么欣赏你当事人的职业 他们会想办法 找漏洞让你跳 |
[30:26] | We found that loophole. | 我们找到了漏洞 |
[30:28] | Jenny, you’re 18 now. | Jenny 你已经18岁了 |
[30:30] | How about you sign a new release relieving us from civil liability? | 你再重签个同意书 让我们解决民事责任好吗 |
[30:33] | My daughter is not signing anything. | 我女儿什么都不会签 |
[30:34] | Nobody can tell her what she can or can’t do. | 没人能告诉她什么能做 什么不能 |
[30:37] | – He’s right. – Good for you, Jenny. | – 他说的没错 – 说的好 Jenny |
[30:42] | But let me be perfectly clear, Tyler. | 我说请楚点好了 Tyler |
[30:45] | If this goes to court… | 如果闹上法庭 |
[30:47] | my father will have my full support. | 我会全力支持我父亲 |
[30:54] | Hey, come on, Jenny. Let’s talk this through. | 别这样嘛 Jenny 我们可以聊聊 |
[30:56] | Let me buy you something, huh? Like as a thank-you. How about a car? | 我买礼物送你如何 作为谢礼 一辆车怎样 |
[31:01] | Now you’re just pissing me off. | 你只是让我越来越不爽 |
[31:04] | As I’m sure you’re well aware, filming a minor is a felony. | 我想你应该很清楚 拍摄未成年成人影片是重罪 |
[31:08] | We plan to ask the D.A. to pursue criminal charges. | 我们打算向检察官提出刑事诉讼 |
[31:11] | You can bet on damages and prison time. | 你可以算算损失和坐牢时间了 |
[31:16] | What do you want? | 你们想怎样 |
[31:17] | An immediate injunction on all DVD sales and all profits to this point to be donated to charity. | 立刻将光碟下架 目前营收捐给慈善机构 |
[31:21] | B- be reasonable. | 明理一点 |
[31:23] | The costs associated with the DVD, not to mention my marketing budget — | 光碟的支出 还有行销的支出 |
[31:25] | – You’ll bankrupt my production company. – Really, I’ll do that? | 这样会搞垮我的制作公司 真的? 搞垮? |
[31:31] | Well, tonight, I’m gonna sleep like a baby. | 今天晚上 换我睡的像婴儿一样甜了 |
[31:35] | Agree to our terms, or we call the D.A. as soon as you leave these offices. | 同意我们的条件 否则你们离开后 我第一件事就打给检察官 |
[31:41] | We have a deal. | 我们同意 |
[31:53] | Mr. Gunther, are you aware that the average woman in America is a size 14? | Gunther先生 你是否知道 美国女性平均尺寸是14号 |
[31:56] | No, I wasn’t. | 不 我不知道 |
[31:57] | According to a recent “Los Angeles Times” article… | 根据最近”洛城时报”的报导 |
[32:00] | the average department store in America carries 900… | 美国一般百货公司女装部 |
[32:03] | different labels in the women’s-wear department… | 有900种不同品牌 |
[32:05] | but only 20 of those labels are available in a size 14 or larger. | 但就只有20个品牌 有做到14号以上的尺寸 |
[32:08] | – Did you know that? – No, I didn’t. | – 你知道吗 – 不 我不知道 |
[32:10] | Are you aware that PDQ only sells a size 10 or smaller? | 你是否知道PDQ只卖十号以下的尺码 |
[32:14] | Not until recently. | 最近才知道 |
[32:16] | What size dress does your wife wear? | 你妻子的尺寸是几号 |
[32:17] | Objection — relevance. | 反对 不相关 |
[32:19] | Mr. Gunther is an expert businessman. I’m helping him contextualize the issue at hand. | Gunther先生是个厉害的商人 我在帮他理解问题 |
[32:24] | I’ll allow it. | 获准 |
[32:29] | I’m… | 我… |
[32:30] | I’m not exactly sure. | 不是很确定 |
[32:32] | Why don’t you take a look around the room — Find a woman with your wife’s figure? | 那请你找找看这法庭里 有没有人和你妻子体型相似的 |
[32:43] | You. | 就是你 |
[32:46] | Your honor, you look like a size 14. | 法官大人 您看起来是穿14号 |
[32:49] | 16. But that doesn’t go in the record. | 是16 不准列入记录 |
[32:54] | Are you aware that your own wife can’t shop at PDQ? | 你是否明白 你唯一的妻子也不能到PDQ买衣服 |
[32:58] | – I wasn’t. – It doesn’t seem right, does it? | |
[33:00] | – Objection. – Withdrawn. | – 反对 – 撤回 |
[33:02] | Your honor, the plaintiff is grandstanding. She has not introduced a scintilla of evidence. | 法官大人 控方在哗众取宠 根本没有提出新证据 |
[33:06] | At this point, the defense requests for a directed verdict in favor of PDQ. | 现在 控方将提出 给PDQ的直接裁决 |
[33:09] | – Objection. – What?! | – 反对 – 什么 |
[33:10] | My argument may not have been on point, but — | 我的论点虽然没有相关 但是… |
[33:12] | But what, counselor? Even though I sympathize with your cause… | 尽管我很同情你们 |
[33:15] | this is not a cause of action. | 但本案没有起诉缘由 |
[33:16] | The directed verdict is hereby issued. | 在此做出直接裁决 |
[33:19] | Case closed. | 结案 |
[33:31] | – Got a second? – Hey. Of course. | – 有时间吗 – 嘿 当然 |
[33:33] | I was just reviewing your settlement agreement. | 我只是在检查和解书 |
[33:36] | Champagne. | 香槟 |
[33:38] | To congratulate you on opening your own law firm. | 庆祝你开了自己的事务所 |
[33:40] | You’re about 10 years too late. | 你迟了十年 |
[33:42] | You brought me cigars when Jenny was born. | Jenny出生你给我了一盒雪茄 |
[33:44] | She’s my proudest accomplishment. I think this firm is yours. | 她是我最骄傲的成就 我想这事务所是你的 |
[33:48] | And what you do here — It’s not all bad. | 你的工作 也不尽是坏的 |
[33:54] | I appreciate your talk with Jenny. | 谢谢你找Jenny谈 |
[33:56] | She’ll always be my little girl, but for now, I can’t let her know that. | 她永远都是我的小宝贝 但我不能让她知道 |
[34:05] | You know, the guys still get together every Thursday night for poker at Dewey’s. | 现在大伙还是会聚聚 周四扑克牌之夜 在Dewey’s |
[34:09] | I’ll see you there. | 到时候见 |
[34:15] | Hey, you are suffocating that pillow. | 你快掐死那枕头了 |
[34:18] | – I lost in court. – I know. | – 我官司打输了 – 我知道 |
[34:20] | We didn’t even get a verdict from the jury. | 我们连陪审团判决都没有 |
[34:23] | I heard. | 我听说了 |
[34:25] | I’m a failure. | 我是个输家 |
[34:27] | Cry me a river. | 哭断肠吧 |
[34:29] | No, Teri. | 不 Teri |
[34:30] | Stacy said something about lawyers having super-powers. | Stacy说律师都好像有超能力 |
[34:34] | And I know that that’s crazy, but sometimes it feels true. | 我知道这样讲很夸张 但有时候我也这么觉得 |
[34:37] | We change people’s lives… | 我们改变了别人的生活 |
[34:40] | and I couldn’t even win my own case. | 但我连自己的都改不了 |
[34:46] | You lost. You lost before. You’ll lose again. It’s okay. | 失败是失之常情 没关系的 |
[34:51] | – What are you doing? – Lipless Lil. Remember? | – 你在干麻 – 无唇Lil 还记得吗 |
[34:54] | Our client who wanted you to sue the pet salon for dying her poodle the wrong shade of pink. | 一个要告宠物美容店 把她贵宾狗 粉红色染错色调的客户 |
[34:59] | Did we win? | 有赢吗 |
[35:00] | You wouldn’t even take the case. | 你连接都没接 |
[35:02] | Yeah, ’cause I had more sense before I was shot. | 是阿 我中弹之前比较理智 |
[35:05] | Maybe, but now you got more pizzazz. | 可能吧 但没这么光鲜亮丽 |
[35:09] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[35:10] | Jane, Warren Gunther is in Parker’s office. | Jane… Warren Gunther在Parker办公室 |
[35:12] | They want to see us… now. | 他要我们过去 现在 |
[35:20] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[35:23] | – Are you both trying to get fired? – It was my fault. | – 你们俩都想被开除吗 – 是我的错 |
[35:27] | I’m sorry, Mr. Gunther. I was an overzealous advocate for myself. | 对不起 Gunther先生 是我太过自我中心 |
[35:30] | And I hope you don’t hold it against the firm. | 我希望你不要怪事务所 |
[35:33] | Ms. Bingum, you may have lost the battle, but you won the war. | Bingum小姐 你是输了这场战役 但赢了这场战争 |
[35:37] | Okay, I’m sorry. I don’t understand military analogies. | 不好意思 我不懂军事比喻 |
[35:41] | Ms. Kaswell put me on the stand to make a point. | Kaswell小姐传我出庭 是有目的的 |
[35:44] | She didn’t care what I had to say. She just wanted me to listen. | 她不是要我说什么证词 而是要我听 |
[35:47] | – That’s true. – And here’s what I heard. | – 是真的 – 而我听进去了 |
[35:50] | I’m an idiot. | 我是个白痴 |
[35:51] | I’m an idiot for not paying attention to an under-served market. | 白痴到没有注意这个 服务不周的市场 |
[35:54] | – We never said “idiot”. – So, starting immediately… | – 我们没有说”白痴” – 所以 现在起 |
[35:59] | PDQ will start offering sizes that all women can wear. | PDQ将提供所有女性尺寸的衣服 |
[36:03] | It just makes sense from a business standpoint. | 这样站在商人角度才合理 |
[36:07] | But what about Henri Malique? What if he refuses? | 那Henri Malique呢 他如果不愿意怎么办 |
[36:11] | Like she said in court, I’m a good businessman. | 像她在法庭上说的 我是个厉害的商人 |
[36:14] | His contract grants him creative control over his own line. | 他的合约写明 在他的系列可以自由发挥 |
[36:17] | So I simply told him that PDQ will bring in another designer… | 所以我只是告诉他 如果不愿意 |
[36:21] | to oversee a second line if he didn’t feel up to the challenge. | 我就请PDQ再推出另一个设计师系列 |
[36:25] | What did he say? | 那他怎么说 |
[36:26] | He stopped by my office and asked me to bring you that dress. | 他到我办公室 请我转交那件洋装 |
[36:32] | It’s your size. He’s on board. | 是你的尺寸 他同意了 |
[36:36] | Well, I have to go home. | 我要回家了 |
[36:37] | Henri also made a dress for my wife. She’s gonna be thrilled. Thank you. | Henri也帮我太太做了一件 她会高兴死的 谢谢你 |
[36:41] | – I’ll see you out. – Thank you. | – 我带你出去 – 谢谢 |
[36:43] | Thank you, my dear. | 谢谢你 亲爱的 |
[36:50] | Bingum, why don’t you stay put? | Bingum 你坐下 |
[36:52] | Okay. | 好 |
[36:59] | I’m ready for my lecture. | 我已经准备好听教训了 |
[37:01] | You came from a place of anger and frustration. | 你很生气 很挫折 |
[37:04] | Normally, that translates into righteous indignation… | 平常情况 这会变成正义的愤慨 |
[37:08] | which plays well in front of a judge. | 在法官面前有好处 |
[37:10] | But this time, you went too far. | 但这次 你太过火了 |
[37:12] | But you said you thought there was a case. Remember — You could smell it? | 是你说这会是不错的案子 记得吗 你感觉的到? |
[37:15] | That’s because I trusted your judgment. | 那是因为我相信的的判断 |
[37:18] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[37:19] | I don’t like you wasting time on frivolous lawsuits. | 我不喜欢你浪费时间 在这种无聊诉讼上 |
[37:21] | But I- I won the war. | 但我赢了战争 |
[37:24] | So doesn’t that count for something? | 这样也不算数吗 |
[37:26] | It counts for everything. | 当然算数 |
[37:28] | And your zeal, whether you win or lose, is how you make partner. | 不管输赢 你的热诚 才是成为合伙人的关键 |
[37:34] | Wait. I’m confused. | 等等 我搞昏头了 |
[37:36] | Are you patting me on the back or slapping me on the wrist? | 你现在是在夸我(拍背) 还是骂我(打) |
[37:40] | If I did either, you’d probably sue me for harassment. | 不管哪个 你可能都会告我骚扰 |
[37:44] | You did good, Bingum. | 做的好 Bingum |
[37:46] | A few deep breaths before you charged ahead… | 莽撞决定前先想想 |
[37:48] | would’ve been helpful, but I’m impressed. | 会很有用 但我印象深刻 |
[37:53] | You have a strange way of getting to the point, by the way. | 你讲重点都拐弯抹角 |
[37:57] | Now, you’ve wasted three days of billable hours… | 你已经浪费三天的时间了 |
[38:00] | so get back to work. | 快点回去上班 |
[38:11] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[38:18] | What a day, huh? | 漫长的一天 |
[38:22] | You can say that again. | 可不是吗 |
[38:29] | Hey, what’d Parker want? | 嘿 Parker跟你说什么 |
[38:33] | Just for me to get back to work. | 要我快点开始上班 |
[38:42] | Hey, Kim? | |
[38:44] | I know we don’t see eye-to-eye on much… | 我知道我们俩看对方不怎么顺眼 |
[38:46] | but I do want to thank you. | 但我还是要谢谢你 |
[38:49] | You never liked this case, and… | 你打一开始就不喜欢这案子 |
[38:51] | yet you — You gave it everything. | 但你还是全力以赴 |
[38:54] | And I didn’t always make it easy. | 而我很难搞 |
[38:57] | Well, you were just sticking up for yourself, right? | 你只是想替自己出口气 对吧 |
[39:01] | – If you don’t, who will? – Right. | – 自己不来 谁来 – 对 |
[39:06] | Hey, now that PDQ carries my size… | 现在PDQ有做我的尺寸 |
[39:11] | maybe we can go shopping together. | 或许我们可以一起去逛逛 |
[39:19] | Maybe. | 或许 |
[39:30] | She’s late. | 她迟到了 |
[39:31] | Are you judging her, because I will so not — | 你在批评她吗 因为我绝对… |
[39:33] | Easy there, blondie. I’m just stating a fact. | 别生气 金发妞 我只是陈述事实罢了 |
[39:35] | She was supposed to be here 10 minutes ago. | 她十分钟前就要到了 |
[39:37] | She’s here. | 她来了 |
[39:42] | – Jane! Jane! – Hey! | |
[39:46] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[39:47] | Oh, you look amazing! | 你看起来美极了 |
[39:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:53] | – I’m so sorry I’m late. – Oh, I didn’t even notice. | – 抱歉我迟到了 – 我都没注意到耶 |
[39:56] | Res ipsa loquitur. | |
[39:58] | Jane, will you tell her that using legal words does not make her seem smarter. | Jane 你可以跟她说 讲法律用语不会比较聪明吗 |
[40:01] | I used “fiduciary” today in yoga, and now everyone thinks I’m a genius. | 我今天上瑜珈 用了”fiduciary”(受托管理人)这个字 大家都觉得我是天才 |
[40:05] | Yeah, I’ll stop leaving my case notes on the kitchen table. | 我会记得不要把文件留在厨房桌子上 |
[40:08] | Thanks. I ordered you a pomegranate martini. | 谢谢 我帮你点了石榴马丁尼 |
[40:10] | – Ooh. Thank you. – I love Pomtinis. | – 喔 谢谢 – 我爱石榴马丁尼 |
[40:13] | – They’re the perfect AA drink. – What? | – 是很好的AA饮料 – 什么 (译注:AA–匿名戒酒组织) |
[40:15] | AA — Alcoholic and antioxidant. | AA表示酒精和抗氧化剂 |
[40:20] | Ew! What is that stuff? | 恶 那是什么 |
[40:23] | Is she for real? It’s calamari. | 她来真的吗 这是炸花枝圈 |
[40:25] | And that’s not a legal term. It means “squid”. And it’s delicious. | 不是法律用语喔 意思是”乌贼” 非常好吃 |
[40:32] | You guys are the best. | 你们最棒了 |
[40:34] | I- I don’t know what I’d do without you. | 真不知道没有你们我要怎么办 |
[40:38] | Oh, my wow. | 我的妈阿 |
[40:40] | Check out that hot cup of habeas corpus. | 快看 他该申请保护令了 |
[40:42] | – Mm, figured he’d be your type. – What’s that supposed to mean? | 我就知道他是你的菜 你这话什么意思 |
[40:45] | Domestic beer, designer jeans… | 国产啤酒 名牌牛仔裤 |
[40:47] | and he’s tan, which means he probably doesn’t have a job. | 小麦肤色 代表他可能没有工作 |
[40:49] | – Maybe he has a trust fund. – Teri, what’s your type? | – 可能有信托基金 – Teri 你喜欢什么型的 |
[40:53] | Hmm. Mm! Mm! Biceps and glasses. | 那个 二头肌和眼镜 |
[40:56] | – Muscle geeks? – Oh, big time. | – 肌肉型书呆子? – 我的罩门阿 |
[40:58] | culture with just a touch of trailer trash. | 他喝玫瑰红酒 表示高雅 又带点颓废 |
[41:02] | Mmm, mmm, good. | 这个好 |
[41:05] | – How about you, Jane? – Oh, I’m not looking. | – 那你呢 Jane – 喔 我没在找 |
[41:08] | – Oh, come on. – Yeah, right. | – 少来了 – 对嘛 |
[41:09] | I’m not looking right now. | 我现在真的没在找 |
[41:11] | Tonight, I just want to enjoy this cocktail… | 今晚 我只想要享受这杯鸡尾酒 |
[41:14] | and feel amazing in this dress, and hang out with you guys. | 感受穿这洋装的美妙感觉 和你们聊天 |
[41:18] | – Is that okay? – Totally okay. | – 这样可以吗 – 当然可以 |
[41:22] | So, you gonna eat some of this calamari or what? | 那你到底要不要试试看炸花枝圈 |
[41:25] | Oh… I don’t do fried. | 喔 我不吃炸的 |
[41:27] | Open up, twiggy. | 张开嘴 Twiggy |
[41:28] | I’d do what she says. | 我可不敢抗命 |
[41:35] | – Oh, my God. – I know, right? | – 我的天阿 – 超好吃 对吧 |
[41:39] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[41:40] | To you guys and this hot dress… | 敬你们 和这件惹火洋装 |
[41:44] | and… calamari. | 和炸花枝圈 |