英文名称:Doubt
年代:2008
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:58] | Jimmy, come on. You’re serving today. | 吉米,快点,今天你是祭童 |
[01:03] | Christeeeen! Where’s my pants? | 克里斯丁,我的裤子呢 |
[01:07] | On the bed. If they had teeth, they would’ve bit you. | 床上呢,看你,总是稀里糊涂的 |
[01:09] | If my pants had teeth… | 我清楚着呢 |
[01:16] | Doubt timing and subtitles by pee-jay | 虐童疑云 |
[01:30] | Jimmy! Go to the store, buy me the newspaper and cigarettes. | 吉米,能不能去商店… 帮我买份报纸、几盒烟 |
[01:33] | Can’t. Serving mass. I’m an alter boy. | 不行,今天有弥撒,我是祭童 |
[01:50] | – Hey, Kevin! – Hey, Jimmy! | 嘿,凯文 嘿,吉米 |
[02:23] | – There you are. – Overslept. | 你可来了 我睡过头了 |
[02:25] | Well, you made it. I’ll do the cruets if you light the charcoal. | 既然这样,我拿盛器,你点木炭 |
[02:31] | You think I’m fat? | 怎么,你觉得我很胖 |
[02:35] | You’re alright. What? Clothes don’t fit? | 还好啊,怎么,衣服不合身 |
[02:37] | No, they fit. | 不,挺合身的 |
[02:53] | You’re gonna be going to the bakery after mass. | 弥撒之后,你得去趟面包房 |
[02:55] | – I am? Why don’t you go? – I’m gonna be making breakfast. | 我,你怎么不去呀? 我得做早饭呢 |
[03:00] | – I can make breakfast. – When have you ever? | 我可以做呀 你?得了吧 |
[03:03] | Funny man. | 就知道耍嘴皮子 |
[03:07] | Good morning, Father. | 早,神父 |
[03:27] | Good morning, Father. | 早,神父 |
[04:22] | Be seated. | 请坐 |
[04:37] | What do you do when you’re not sure? | 当你举棋不定,该何去何从 |
[04:42] | That’s the topic of my sermon today. | 这是今天布道的主题 |
[04:46] | Last year, when President Kennedy was assassinated, | 去年,当肯尼迪总统遇刺后 |
[04:50] | who among us did not experience the most profound disorientation? | 我们中有多少人迷失自我 |
[04:55] | Despair? | 伤心绝望 |
[04:58] | Which way? What now? | 我该如何面对生活 |
[05:03] | What do I say to my kids? What do I tell myself? | 该怎样告诉孩子 又该怎样劝解自己 |
[05:09] | It was a time of people sitting together, bound together | 正是这个时候… 人们需要坐在一起,紧紧相依 |
[05:13] | by a common feeling of hopelessness. | 互相倾诉心中的无助 |
[05:18] | But think of that! | 可是,请仔细想想 |
[05:21] | Your BOND with your fellow being was your Despair. | 将你…与他人联接起来的 正是你的无助 |
[05:28] | It was a public experience. It was awful, but we were in it together. | 我们,正经历着同样的无助 |
[05:36] | How much worse is it then for the lone man, the lone woman, | 孤独的男女 沉溺于个人的苦难中,难以自拔 |
[05:44] | stricken by a private calamity? | 还有什么比这更糟糕 |
[05:47] | “No one knows I’m sick. “ | “无人知道我的痛苦” |
[05:51] | “No one knows I’ve lost my last real friend. “ | “无人知道… 我最后一位挚友离我而去” |
[05:56] | “No one knows I’ve done something wrong. “ | “无人知道,我已犯错” |
[06:00] | Imagine the isolation. | 想象一下,这被隔离般的痛苦 |
[06:03] | Now you see the world as through a window. | 如同隔着窗户看外面的世界 |
[06:07] | On one side of the glass: happy, untroubled people, | 窗外,是幸福快乐无忧无虑的人们 |
[06:10] | and on the other side: you. | 窗内,则是你 |
[06:14] | – God Bless you, Sister. – Thank you. | 上帝保佑你,修女 谢谢 |
[06:18] | I want to tell you a story. | 我想讲个故事 |
[06:22] | A cargo ship sank one night. It caught fire and went down. | 一个夜晚,一艘货船起火沉没 |
[06:29] | And only this one sailor survived. | 只有一个船员幸免 |
[06:33] | He found a lifeboat, rigged a sail… and being of a nautical discipline… | 他找到一艘救生艇 调整船帆,开始航行 |
[06:37] | turned his eyes to the Heavens and read the stars. | 他借助星辰的方位 |
[06:41] | He set a course for his home, and exhausted, fell asleep. | 设好回家的航程 精疲力尽后沉沉睡去 |
[06:47] | Clouds rolled in. | 乌云涌来 |
[06:51] | And for the next twenty nights, he could no longer see the stars. | 二十天里,他都看不到星星 |
[06:58] | He thought he was on course, but there was no way to be certain. | 他觉得船驶在正确的航道上 但又无法确定 |
[07:03] | And as the days rolled on, and the sailor wasted away, | 船员日见消瘦 |
[07:10] | he began to have doubts. | 疑云涌上心头 |
[07:14] | Had he set his course right? Was he still going on towards his home? | 航道正确吗? 他是在回家的路上吗? |
[07:21] | Or was he horribly lost and doomed to a terrible death? | 也许他早已迷了路 要葬身这茫茫大海 |
[07:28] | No way to know. | 无从知晓 |
[07:31] | The message of the constellations- | 那天边的星辰 |
[07:34] | had he imagined it because of his desperate circumstance? | 只是他在绝望中的幻象 |
[07:39] | Or had he seen truth once… | 还是他曾亲眼所见 |
[07:41] | Straighten. Up. | 坐直了 |
[07:43] | and now had to hold on to it without further reassurance? | 得不到确证,他该继续吗? |
[07:50] | There are those of you in church today | 今日来教堂的… |
[07:53] | who know exactly the crisis of faith I describe. | 深知我描述的信仰危机的诸位 |
[07:58] | And I want to say to you: | 我想对你们说: |
[08:02] | Doubt can be a bond as powerful and sustaining as certainty. | 疑虑是强大有力的,强到让你深信 |
[08:11] | When you are lost, you are not alone. | 当你迷失自我时,你并不孤单 |
[08:21] | In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Amen. | 以神父圣子圣灵之名,阿门 |
[08:28] | Please rise. | 请起立 |
[08:53] | – Hey, Father. – Hey, Champ. | 嘿,神父 嘿,大个儿 |
[08:58] | That was some sermon. | 今天的布道很精彩 |
[09:02] | Did it mean something to you? | 你领悟到什么 |
[09:05] | I want to do that. I want to be a priest. | 我也想布道,我也想当神甫 |
[09:10] | You’d be a good one, I’m sure. | 你一定会是个出色的神甫 |
[09:14] | Here. | 给你 |
[09:20] | Take a look. | 看 |
[09:29] | See? | 看到了吗? |
[09:32] | She’s dancin’. Kinda neat. | 她在跳舞呢,很灵巧 |
[09:36] | – Yeah. – Here. You try. | 是呀 你试试 |
[09:49] | That’s for you. Take it. | 拿着,送你了 |
[09:52] | – Thank you, Father. – You’re welcome. | 谢谢,神父 别客气 |
[11:21] | Like Noah’s Ark, girls. Two by two. | 女生们,要像诺亚方舟里成双地走 |
[11:29] | Morning, Sister James. | 早,詹姆斯修女 |
[11:31] | Good morning, Father Flynn. Beautiful day. | 早,弗林神父,好天气 |
[11:32] | Not too bad. How are the criminals doing today? | 还不错,小坏蛋们,今天怎么样? |
[11:35] | – Not bad, Father. – Good, Father. | 不错,神父 挺好的,神父 |
[11:38] | – Morning, Champ. – Morning, Father Flynn. | 早,大个儿 早,弗林神父 |
[11:41] | You wash those hands today, Mister London? | 洗过手了吗,伦敦先生? 当然洗过了,神父 |
[11:45] | I don’t know. They’re a different color than your neck. | 我看不一定哦,脖子可比手白呢 |
[11:49] | – Good morning. – Good morning, Father. | 早 早,神父 |
[11:52] | – Sister, are we having the test today? – Tomorrow, William. | 修女,今天要测验吗? 明天,威廉 |
[11:56] | – Is it long division? – Among other things. | 要考除法? 还有其他内容 |
[11:58] | – Sister. – Good morning, Sister. | 修女 早,修女 |
[12:01] | – How much of it will be long division? – Boy! | 有多少除法运算 你 |
[12:06] | William London. Come up here! | 威廉・伦敦,上来 |
[12:12] | Come smartly now. Don’t make me wait. | 快上来,别让我等太久 |
[12:21] | – What did he do? – He touched Sister James. | 他怎么了 他碰了詹姆斯修女 |
[12:25] | The dragon is hungry! | 女王发威�� |
[12:26] | You don’t touch a nun. | 不能碰修女 |
[12:37] | Take out your history books, please. Turn to page 683. | 请拿出历史书,翻到第683页 |
[12:44] | Yes, Ralph. | 什么事,拉尔夫? |
[12:46] | – I forgot my history book. – You can look on with Raymond. | 我忘带历史书了 你和雷蒙德合用一本吧 |
[12:52] | Mr. London? Do you have your history book? | 伦敦,你带了吗? |
[12:56] | – No, Sister. – Share with Mr. Malloy, please. | 没带,修女 你和马洛伊合用 |
[13:00] | Do I have to? His breath stinks! | 不要吧,他有口臭 |
[13:07] | I’m sure Mr. Malloy’s breath is just fine. | 我确定马洛伊没有口臭 |
[13:14] | Be seated. | 请坐 |
[13:20] | Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the 32nd president of The United States. | 富兰克林・德兰诺・罗斯福 是美国的第32任总统 |
[13:24] | That barrette out of your hair, Miss Horan. | 霍兰小姐,把发夹摘下来 |
[13:28] | Yes, Sister. | 是,修女 |
[13:30] | Morning, Sister James. Continue. | 早,詹姆斯修女,请继续 |
[13:34] | Franklin D. Roosevelt, together with Abraham Lincoln | 和亚伯拉罕・林肯 约翰・菲茨杰拉德・肯尼迪一样 |
[13:37] | and John Fitzgerald Kennedy, was perhaps our greatest president. | 富兰克林・德兰诺・罗斯福 也许是最伟大的总统 |
[13:41] | When he assumed office, 13,000,000 people in this country were unemployed. | 他就任时,国内有1300万人失业 失望萦绕在他们心头 |
[13:46] | They’d lost hope. And President Roosevelt said to these people: | 罗斯福总统对失业的人们说: |
[13:49] | “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. “ | “我们唯一值得恐惧的 就是恐惧本身” |
[13:55] | What did he mean by that? James? | 詹姆斯,这句话是什么意思? |
[14:00] | I think he was trying to say there’s nothing really wrong, you know? | 我想,他的意思是没有真正的谬误 |
[14:03] | So don’t get so emotional. | 不必太过计较 |
[14:05] | Maybe… | 也许… |
[14:06] | Maybe he was saying that the world is good | 也许他想告诉人们 我们生活的世界依然美好 |
[14:10] | and we need only work together to overcome our problems. | 我们需要团结起来,战胜困难 |
[14:13] | What’s this, Mr. Conroy? | 康罗伊先生,这是什么? |
[14:17] | I don’t know, Sister. | 修女,我不知道 |
[14:21] | You don’t know you have a wire coming out of your ear? | 不知道,你不知道有根线… 从你耳朵里伸出来 |
[14:26] | – No. – Huh? | 不知道 哼? |
[14:28] | Huh? | 哼? |
[14:30] | No, Sister. I didn’t. | 修女,我真不知道 |
[14:35] | You come with me, boy. | 臭小子,跟我过来 |
[14:45] | Go. | 走 |
[14:55] | Who knows what the New Deal was? | 谁知道“新政”的内容 |
[15:10] | I love this song. | 我喜欢这歌 |
[16:38] | This past Sunday. What do you think that sermon was about? | 大家都说说,上个礼拜天的布道 |
[16:43] | – Sister James. – Huh? | 詹姆斯修女 啊? |
[16:47] | What was Father Flynn’s sermon about? | 弗林神父的布道… |
[16:52] | Well, Doubt. He was talking about Doubt? | 疑虑,他在讲疑虑? |
[16:58] | Why? | 为什么? |
[17:00] | Excuse me, Sister? | 修女,您的意思是? |
[17:02] | Well, sermons come from somewhere, don’t they? | 空穴来风,事出有因,不是吗? |
[17:05] | Is Father Flynn in Doubt? | 弗林神父有什么疑虑? |
[17:08] | Is he concerned that someone else is in Doubt? | 他认为,有人产生了疑虑? |
[17:12] | I suppose you’d have to ask him. | 这…您得问他吧 |
[17:13] | No, that would not be appropriate. He is my superior. | 他是我上级 直接发问是不合礼法的 |
[17:17] | And if he were troubled, he should confess it to a fellow priest, | 如果他有麻烦,也该向同侪牧师 |
[17:20] | or to the Monsignor. | 亦或主教忏悔 |
[17:22] | We do not share intimate information with priests. | 我们不和神甫交流私人问题 |
[17:25] | – No. – That’s true. | 是的 的确是 |
[17:30] | – What are we saying? – I want you all to be alert. | 您的意思是… 注意身边 |
[17:35] | I am concerned, perhaps needlessly, about matters in St. Nicholas School. | 也许是我多虑了,我总觉得… 圣尼古拉斯中学有些事不合礼法 |
[17:47] | Academically? | 您的意思是? |
[17:50] | I was not inviting a guessing game, Sister Raymond. | 雷蒙德修女 大家就别装糊涂了吧 |
[19:00] | Missy! Get away from her. And sit down. | 小姑娘,离她远点,坐好 |
[19:09] | May I join you, Sister Aloysius? | 阿洛伊修斯修女,我可以坐这吗? |
[19:12] | Yes. | 可以啊 |
[19:16] | – Chicken Chow Mein. – Sister Veronica’s favorite. | 鸡肉炒面 维罗妮卡修女的最爱 |
[19:20] | – It’s very good. – I like the noodles. I like the crunch. | 很好吃 我喜欢面条,吃起来软软的 |
[19:28] | – What happened to William London? – I sent him home. | 威廉・伦敦怎么样了? 我让他回家了 |
[19:32] | Oh dear. So he’s still bleeding? | 哦,他还流鼻血? |
[19:35] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:37] | His nose just let loose and started gushing during the Pledge of Allegiance. | 在朗读宣誓词时 他的鼻子开始流血 |
[19:41] | Was it spontaneous? | 自然流下的 |
[19:42] | – What? – His nosebleed. | 什么? 鼻血 |
[19:46] | – What else would it be? – Self-induced. | 不然是… 自己弄的 |
[19:51] | You mean you think he might’ve intentionally given himself a nosebleed? | 您的意思是,他故意弄破的 |
[19:55] | Exactly. | 肯定是 |
[19:58] | No. | 当然不是 |
[20:02] | You are a very innocent person, Sister James. | 詹姆斯修女,你太天真了 |
[20:06] | William London is a fidgety boy. | 威廉・伦敦一直坐不住 |
[20:08] | If you do not keep right on him, he will do anything to escape his chair. | 不看紧点,他会想方设法逃学 |
[20:11] | He would set his foot on fire for half a day out of school. | 就算给他半天假… 说不定惹出什么乱子呢 |
[20:16] | Here. Sister, allow me to help you. Your sleeve. | 修女,看你的袖子,我帮你擦擦 |
[20:22] | Mmm. Let’s see. | 看看这 |
[20:24] | Oh thank you, Sister. | 修女,谢谢你 |
[20:29] | – Sister Veronica is going blind. – Oh how horrible! | 维罗妮卡修女快看不见了 太可怕了 |
[20:33] | If they find out in the rectory, she’ll be gone. | 如果在教区长的管区被抓到 她就得走了 |
[20:35] | So, if she looks unsteady, take her hand. | 所以,她要是有什么闪失 帮她一把 |
[20:40] | Ordinarily, I assign my most experienced teachers to eighth grade, | 我一般派最有经验的老师 负责八年级 |
[20:47] | but I am working within constraints. | 但我会监督班级的纪律 |
[20:53] | – Are you in control of your class? – I think so. | 你的班怎么样? 还可以 |
[20:58] | Usually more students are sent down to me. | 需要我亲自教导的学生 可不太多呀 |
[21:02] | – I try to take care of things myself. – That can be an error. | 有些事我想自己处理 这可不合适 |
[21:07] | You are answerable to me, | 你向我汇报 |
[21:09] | I to the Monsignor, he to the Bishop, and so on up to the Holy Father. | 我对神甫,神甫对主教 主教对教皇 |
[21:13] | There is a chain. Make use of it. | 上下级关系很清楚,你得学着点 |
[21:18] | – Candy? – Cough drops. | 糖? 润喉糖 |
[21:21] | Candy by another name. | 反正都是糖 |
[21:26] | – How is Donald Miller doing? – Steady. | 唐纳德・米勒表现如何? 挺好 |
[21:30] | Good. | 很好 |
[21:32] | That girl… Noreen Horan. | 这个小姑娘,诺琳・霍兰 |
[21:36] | I’ve seated her as far away from the boys as possible. Doesn’t do much good. | 我尽可能把她排得离男生远点 可还是没什么用 |
[21:42] | Just get her through. Intact. | 盯紧点她 |
[21:50] | What’s this? | 怎么回事? |
[21:54] | The wind is so… peripatetic this year. | 今年的风可真大 |
[22:01] | Is that the word I want? | 那是 |
[22:04] | Is something the matter? | 怎么了? |
[22:07] | – What? – Is something the matter? | 什么? 怎么了? |
[22:09] | No. Why? Is something the matter? | 没什么?怎么了? |
[22:14] | – I don’t think so. – Well, then, nothing’s the matter then. | 我想没什么 好,那就没什么了 |
[22:18] | – Yes. – What’s this? | 是 这是什么 |
[22:22] | – A pen? – A ballpoint pen. | 钢笔? 圆珠笔 |
[22:26] | The students are not using them for assignments, I hope? | 学生们用圆珠笔写作业? |
[22:30] | – No, of course not. – I’m sorry I allowed even cartridge pens into this school. | 不,当然不是 我真不该让学生带圆珠笔上学 |
[22:34] | Always the easy way out these days. | 现在的人们,总想投机取巧 |
[22:38] | Every easy choice today will have its consequence tomorrow. | 可是,今日投机 就会造成他日的苦果 |
[22:42] | – Mark my words. – Yes. | 记住我的话 是 |
[22:44] | Ballpoints make them press down, when they press down, they write like monkeys. | 学生用圆珠笔会用力按压 动作不好看 |
[22:48] | – I don’t allow them ballpoint pens. – And yet here one is. | 我不让他们用圆珠笔 那…这怎么会有一支? |
[22:54] | Penmanship is dying all across this country. | 书法都快销声匿迹了 |
[22:59] | I hope not. | 希望没有 |
[23:02] | You should frame something. | 这得挂些什么 |
[23:04] | Put it up on the blackboard. Put the Pope up. | 把教皇像挂黑板上 |
[23:09] | That’s the wrong Pope. He’s deceased. | 好象不对,这位教皇已经不在了 |
[23:12] | I don’t care what Pope it is. Use the glass to see behind you. | 甭管哪位,通过玻璃… 可以看到教室的情况 |
[23:17] | The children should think you have eyes in the back of your head. | 会让学生们觉得… 你不转头也能看到他们 |
[23:21] | – Wouldn’t that be a little frightening? – Only to the ones who are up to no good. | 会不会太有震慑力了 调皮捣蛋的才会这么觉得 |
[23:33] | Relax. Put it up there. | 放松,投 |
[23:37] | All right, now. | 大家听着 |
[23:40] | The thing about shooting from the foul line is it’s psychological. | 罚球线外投篮并不难 |
[23:44] | All right, come up with a routine. | 有一套规定的动作 |
[23:47] | All right, shift your weight, move your hips… | 偏移重心,扭动臀部 |
[23:51] | Hey, you think that’s funny, Ralph? | 拉尔夫,很好笑吗? |
[23:53] | You know what’s funny is you never getting a foul shot. | 要是觉得好笑,可就投不进喽 |
[23:56] | All right, concentrate on the routine, and you’ll forget to get tensed up. | 牢记动作规范,不要紧张 |
[24:03] | All right, go ahead, Jimmy. | 吉米,你来 |
[24:10] | Good man. You listen. That’s good. | 很好,照这个做就不错 |
[24:13] | All right, now sit down. Everyone. | 现在,大家坐好 |
[24:16] | Good. | 很好 |
[24:18] | On another matter, I’ve noticed several of you guys got dirty nails. | 还有一件事,我注意到… 好几个同学的指甲不干净 |
[24:25] | I don’t want to see that. | 别让我再看到哦 |
[24:28] | I’m not talking about the length of your nails, I’m talking about cleanliness. | 指甲的长短不重要 讲卫生才是重点 |
[24:32] | See? Look at my nails. | 看看我的指甲 |
[24:38] | All right, they’re long, | 虽然有些长 |
[24:41] | I like them a little long, but look at how clean they are. | 我喜欢留长些 但我会收拾得很干净 |
[24:56] | That makes it okay. | 这就没有问题了 |
[25:02] | The climpity-clomp. Clomp clomp clomp. | 噗嗵,噗嗵,噗嗵 |
[25:07] | Harder than a herd of elephants. | 比大象走路还沉 |
[25:14] | You are wicked! | 你太损了啊 |
[25:16] | No, I told her, “You’re her mother! | 哪有,我告诉她你是她母亲 |
[25:18] | You raised her, you fed her, YOU tell her she’s fat!” | 把她养大,告诉她,她很胖 |
[25:21] | – Oh! – But wait, how fat is she? | 喔 她有多胖 |
[25:24] | – What, the mother or the daughter? – The daughter. | 谁?母亲还是女儿 女儿 |
[25:26] | – I never met the daughter. – What about the mother? | 我没见过女儿 母亲呢? |
[25:29] | Fat! | 胖 |
[26:24] | Father, we having practice after school? | 神父,放学后还要练习吗? |
[26:27] | If you guys want it, we can have it. Let me know. | 你们想练就告诉我,我们一起练 |
[26:32] | The Fascist governments of Germany and Italy were already working together. | 德国和意大利的法西斯政权 沆瀣一气 |
[26:39] | They formed the Pact of Steel. | 缔结盟约 |
[26:43] | The Pact of Steel was a military alliance between Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler. | 贝尼托・墨索里尼 和阿道夫・希特勒…暗中结盟 |
[26:50] | Mister London, get back in your seat and stop bothering Miss Horan, please. | 伦敦先生,回你的位子 不要打扰霍兰小姐 |
[26:59] | Now, who can tell me- | 谁能告诉我 |
[27:04] | Yes? | 请讲 |
[27:07] | Yes. Of course, Father. | 好的,神父 |
[27:11] | Donald? You should go to the Rectory. | 唐纳德,神父找你有事 |
[27:18] | Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven. | 二,三,四,五,六 七,八,九,十,十一 |
[27:25] | Go one, two, three, touch. | 一,二,三…碰 |
[27:29] | One, two, three, kick. | 一,二,三…踢 |
[27:31] | And back, side, front, kick. | 后,侧,前,踢 |
[27:35] | Back, side, front… | 后,侧,前 |
[27:48] | – Raymond, what are you doing? – The mashed potato. | 雷蒙德,这是什么动作啊 捣土豆 |
[27:51] | You’re supposed to be doing the bossa nova. | 你该跳波萨诺沃呀 |
[27:53] | But I know the mashed potato. | 可是,我还会捣土豆呢 |
[27:58] | All right, now follow. | 大家跟着跳 |
[28:00] | Back, side, front, kick. | 后,侧,前,踢 |
[28:03] | Back, side, one, two, three, kick. | 后,侧,前,一,二,三,踢 |
[28:08] | Back, side, front, kick. | 后,侧,前,踢 |
[28:11] | Back, side, front. Okay. | 后,侧,前,很好 |
[28:15] | Let me get in front of you so that you can see what I’m doing. | 我站前面,大家看我跳 |
[28:20] | One, two, three… | 一,二,三 |
[28:32] | Okay. | 好 |
[29:18] | Donald, are you feeling ill? | 唐纳德,你不舒服? |
[29:20] | No. | 没 |
[29:22] | You sure? | 确定? |
[29:26] | Are you all right? | 你真没事 |
[29:52] | – Good afternoon, Sister. – Good afternoon, Sister James. | 修女,下午好 詹姆斯修女…下午好 |
[29:56] | Sister, can I speak with you about Donald Miller? | 修女,可以和你谈谈… 唐纳德・米勒的情况吗? |
[30:02] | – Is he being accepted? – He has no friends. | 他和同学相处得怎样? 他没朋友 |
[30:06] | That would be a lot to expect after only two months. | 他刚来两个月,很正常 |
[30:11] | – Has anyone hit him? – No. | 有人揍他吗? 没有 |
[30:15] | Someone will. | 肯定会有的 |
[30:17] | And when that happens, send them right down to me. | 要是打起来… 把他们送到我这来就是 |
[30:25] | I’m not so sure anyone will. | 我想,没人敢打他呢 |
[30:29] | This parish serves Irish and Italian families. | 这个教区多是爱尔兰和意大利人 |
[30:32] | Someone will hit Donald Miller. | 肯定有人看不惯唐纳德・米勒 |
[30:36] | He has a protector. | 有人护着他呢 |
[30:38] | Who? | 谁 |
[30:46] | Father Flynn. | 弗林神父 |
[30:53] | What? | 什么? |
[30:59] | He’s taken an interest. | 他对他很感兴趣 |
[31:18] | I told you to come to me, but I hoped you never would. | 我说过有事来找我 可我打心眼里不希望有事 |
[31:23] | Maybe I shouldn’t have. | 也许我不该多嘴 |
[31:27] | So it’s happened. | 终于,还是发生了 |
[31:31] | What? | 什么 |
[31:32] | I’m not telling you that! I’m not even certain what you mean. | 我可没那么说,您什么意思呀 |
[31:36] | Oh excuse me there, Sisters! | 哦,修女们,打扰了 |
[31:38] | No bother we’re done here! Come, Sister. | 没关系,我们走吧,修女 |
[31:52] | What have you seen? | 你都看见了什么? |
[31:55] | It is unsettling to look at people with suspicion. I feel less close to God. | 带有色眼镜看人总是不好 我愈发觉得悖离教义 |
[31:59] | When you take a step to address wrongdoing, | 看到错事不揭发 |
[32:01] | you are taking a step away from God, but in His service. | 才是悖离教义 |
[32:06] | What have you seen? | 你都看见了什么? |
[32:11] | Good afternoon, Sisters! | 下午好,修女们 |
[32:12] | Good afternoon, Mrs. Carson. Why the cat? | 下午好,卡森夫人,抱着猫做什么 |
[32:15] | Because there’s a mouse. Want some tea? | 有老鼠,来点茶吗? |
[32:18] | If you don’t want to dance with her, don’t dance with her. | 若不想和她跳舞那就别和她跳 |
[32:20] | – Well, is it wrong? – No. | 那没问题吗? 没有 |
[32:24] | But what if the girl turns you down? | 可是,如果女孩拒绝呢? |
[32:29] | You have the right to ask a girl to dance. | 你有权利邀女孩跳舞 |
[32:32] | All right, she has the right to turn you down. | 她当然有权拒绝 |
[32:34] | The trick is don’t take it to heart. | 被拒绝了,也不要往心里去 |
[32:38] | What if they ALL turn you down? | 如果所有女孩都拒绝你呢? |
[32:41] | Well, then you become a priest. | 那就来做牧师吧 |
[32:49] | All right, next question. | 好,下一个问题 |
[33:00] | What have you seen? | 你看到了什么? |
[33:07] | He called Donald Miller to the Rectory. | 他叫唐纳德・米勒去办公室 |
[33:10] | – What for? – A talk. | 做什么? 谈话 |
[33:12] | – Alone? – Yes. | 单独? 是 |
[33:13] | – When? – A week ago, during class. | 什么时候? 一个礼拜前,上课时 |
[33:16] | Why didn’t you tell me? | 你怎么不告诉我 |
[33:18] | I didn’t think there was anything wrong with it. | 我觉得这很正常 |
[33:27] | Of all the children. Donald Miller. | 所有的孩子就挑了唐纳德・米勒 |
[33:31] | – I suppose it makes sense. – How does it make sense? | 这就是了 是什么? |
[33:34] | He’s isolated. | 他不合群 |
[33:36] | – I don’t know that anything is wrong! – Our first Negro student. | 这有什么 学校收的第一个黑人学生 |
[33:41] | I thought there would be fighting. | 我以为会有争执,斗欧 |
[33:46] | A parent or two to deal with. | 充其量,应付一两个学生家长 |
[33:51] | I should have foreseen this possibility. | 我早该想到的 |
[33:55] | How could you imagine it? | 谁又能料到会这样 |
[33:57] | It’s my job to outshine the fox in cleverness. | 防微杜渐,是我的工作 |
[34:05] | – That is my job! – But maybe it’s nothing! | 这是我的职责 也许根本就没事呢 |
[34:12] | Then why do you look like you’ve seen the Devil? | 如果没事,你的表情… 怎么跟见了魔鬼似的 |
[34:20] | It’s just the way the boy acted when he came back to class. | 只是那孩子回课堂后 举止大不相同 |
[34:22] | – He said something? – No. It was his expression. | 他说了什么 不,他的脸色很难看 |
[34:24] | He looked frightened and he… | 像是吓到了,还有,他… |
[34:28] | put his head on the desk in the most peculiar way. And… | 把头直直地伏在课桌上 |
[34:33] | And one other thing. There was… | 还有… |
[34:36] | I think there was alcohol on his breath. | 他带着酒气 |
[34:43] | There WAS alcohol on his breath. | 这种情形,以前也出现过 |
[35:03] | Years ago at St. Boniface there was a priest… | 数年前,圣博尼费斯教区 有个牧师也… |
[35:12] | But I had Father Scully then. | 但那时,斯卡力神父还在 |
[35:20] | Here there’s no man I can go to, men run everything. | 可是现在,男人主宰一切 没人让我们依靠 |
[35:24] | We are going to have to stop him ourselves. | 我们只好靠自己,阻止他 |
[35:30] | There we go! She got him! It takes a cat. | 看,她抓到了 |
[35:35] | Yes it does. | 是,抓到了 |
[35:44] | Yes it does. | 抓到他了 |
[36:27] | – This towel will never be dead white again. – Yes it will. | 这毛巾还能变回纯白色吗? 肯定能 |
[36:30] | – Mrs. Carson! – I’m fine. | 卡森夫人 我没事 |
[36:33] | – What happened? – There’s a branch down. | 怎么了 被落下的树枝绊到 |
[36:36] | – Are you alright, Sister? – She didn’t see it. | 修女,你没事吧 她没看到 |
[36:38] | I’m fine. Just bushwhacked. No need for a fuss. | 我没事,只是走路不小心绊到 别大惊小怪 |
[36:42] | You just go lie down. I’ll bring you some tea. | 你躺好,我去泡点茶 |
[36:44] | Come on. | |
[36:50] | Mister McGuinn? Could you look in on the courtyard? | 麦吉恩先生,您能清理一下庭院吗 |
[36:53] | A branch has fallen. | 有树枝落下 |
[36:56] | A branch has- | 有根树枝 |
[37:02] | Watch your step here, Sister. | 修女,小心脚下 |
[37:06] | I’ll cut it up. | 我会把树枝砍清理掉 |
[37:09] | The world is crashing, Michael. | 迈克,到处都是一团糟 |
[37:11] | I haven’t heard a wind like that since I left Mullingar! | 离开穆林加尔后 我就没见过这么大的风 |
[37:15] | I’ve never known a wind like it. The wind has changed. | 我也是,谁知道呢,连风都更猛了 |
[37:41] | What are you doing out here, Conroy? | 康罗伊,你来这做什么? |
[37:45] | I talked in class, Father. | 神父,我上课说话了 |
[37:59] | Waiting for Sister Aloysius. | 在等阿洛伊修斯修女 |
[38:05] | – She know you’re here? – She knows. | 她知道你来? 她知道 |
[38:12] | Good morning, Father Flynn. Good of you to come by. | 弗林神父…早,很高兴你能来 |
[38:14] | Good morning, Sister Aloysius. How are you today? | 早,阿洛伊修斯修女,今天怎样? |
[38:16] | I’m very well, thank you. Mister Conroy. | 挺好的,谢谢,康罗伊 |
[38:19] | – Yes, Sister. – Mister Transistor Radio. | 是,修女 带收音机上课的家伙 |
[38:23] | Multiplication table 10x in its totality delivered to me tomorrow morning. | 乘法表,完整抄十遍,明早给我 |
[38:27] | Legible, Boy! | 要抄得工工整整的,清楚了吗? |
[38:30] | Return to class. Go. Go, go. | 回去上课吧 |
[38:44] | I’d invite you in, but we’re just short Sister James. | 除了你,我还请了詹姆斯修女 |
[38:55] | – Hear that wind last night? – I certainly did! | 昨天的风好大 的确 |
[39:02] | Did I hear Sister Veronica had an accident? | 我听说,维罗妮卡修女摔倒了 |
[39:04] | Yes, Sister Veronica fell and practically killed herself. | 是,维罗妮卡修女险些… |
[39:07] | – Is she alright? – Oh, she’s fine. | 她还好吗? 没事了 |
[39:13] | – Her sight isn’t good, is it? – Her sight is fine. | 她的视力不怎么好? 挺好的啊 |
[39:16] | Nuns fall, you know. | 修女常会摔倒 |
[39:19] | Nah, I didn’t know that. | 这到没听说过 |
[39:20] | It’s the habit. It catches us up more often than not. | 习惯而已,会提醒我们… 更注意自己行为规范 |
[39:26] | We go down like dominoes. | 不然,会一连串倒下去 |
[39:29] | – Am I past the time? – Not at all. | 我迟到了吗? 没有 |
[39:32] | Good morning, Father. Good morning, Sister. | 神父早,修女早 |
[39:34] | I’m sorry I was delayed. I ran into Sister Veronica. | 抱歉我来晚了 我去看维罗妮卡修女了 |
[39:38] | – How is she? – I’m afraid she has a bit of a bloody nose. | 她怎么样了? 鼻子撞破了 |
[39:42] | I’m beginning to think you’re punching people. | 我还以为你揍人了 |
[39:46] | – Sister? – First William London and now… | 修女? 先是威廉・伦敦,接着是… |
[39:53] | Never mind. | 算了,当我没说 |
[39:54] | Well, come in, please. | 请进 |
[39:57] | Sister… | 修女… |
[40:00] | Please. Sit. Have a seat. | 请坐 |
[40:04] | I actually have a hot pot of tea. | 我煮了一壶茶 |
[40:06] | And close this but not quite for form’s sake. | 关好门,不要关得太严 |
[40:11] | Father, would you care for a… | 神父,您可以… |
[40:15] | – Would you have a cup of tea, Father? – I would love a cup of tea. | 神父,要喝茶吗? 当然 |
[40:19] | – Sister, perhaps you could serve him? – I’d be glad. | 修女,可否帮忙倒茶? 乐意效劳 |
[40:22] | And yourself, of course. | 也给你自己倒一杯 |
[40:23] | Would you like a cup of tea, Sister Aloysius? | 阿洛伊修斯修女,您不喝吗? |
[40:25] | – No, I’ve already had my cup. – Is there sugar? | 不用,我喝过了 有糖吗? |
[40:29] | Sugar? | 糖 |
[40:32] | Yes! | 有 |
[40:35] | Yes. It’s somewhere here. | 放哪了 |
[40:40] | I put it in the drawer for Lent last year and never remembered to take it out. | 去年我放抽屉里,为四旬斋准备的 都忘拿出来了 |
[40:44] | Ah, it mustn’t have been much to give up then. | 肯定没怎么吃过吧 |
[40:49] | I’m sure you’re right. Here it is. | 是,您说得对,给 |
[40:52] | I’ll serve you, though for want of practice, I’m, I’m a little clumsy. | 我来帮您弄,也好练练手 看我笨手笨脚的 |
[41:01] | I see your fingernails. | 您的指甲… |
[41:04] | I wear them a little long. | 我习惯留长些 |
[41:07] | – The Sugar? – Yes. | 糖? 哦,这呢 |
[41:08] | – One? – Three. | 一块? 三块 |
[41:11] | – Three? – Sweet tooth. | 三块 我喜欢吃甜的 |
[41:14] | Two… | 二 |
[41:16] | Three… | 三 |
[41:18] | – Sister, you care for sugar? – Never! | 修女,你要放糖吗? 从不 |
[41:21] | Not that there’s anything wrong with sugar. | 个人习惯,与糖无关 |
[41:26] | Well, thank you, Father, for making time for us. We are at our wit’s end. | 神父,谢谢您过来 我们想不出什么好点子了 |
[41:30] | Well, I think it’s an excellent idea to rethink the Christmas pageant. | 我想把今年的圣诞庆典办得热闹些 |
[41:34] | ‘Cause last year’s effort was a little woebegone. | 去年的不怎么好看 |
[41:38] | Oh, I loved it! But I love all pageants. The hymns! | 哦,我喜欢庆典呀赞美诗呀 |
[41:42] | O Little Town of Bethlehem, O Come O Come Emmanuel, | 哦,伯利恒城 哦,上帝与我们同在 |
[41:45] | – O Come All Ye Faithful… – All right. Thank you, Sister James! | 祝大家圣诞节快乐 谢谢提醒,詹姆斯修女 |
[41:48] | So what do you think, Father? Is there something new we could do? | 你觉得呢,神父 有没有什么新花样? |
[41:51] | Well, we all love the Christmas hymns, | 虽然,我们都喜欢赞美诗 |
[41:54] | but it might be jolly to include a secular song. | 可是,加一首非宗教歌曲也不错 |
[41:58] | Secular? | 非宗教? |
[41:59] | Yes. IT’S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS. Something like that. | 比如像“圣诞将至”这样的歌 |
[42:03] | What would be the point of a secular song? | 加这样的歌有什么特殊意义吗? |
[42:07] | Just fun. | 增加些欢乐的气氛 |
[42:08] | – Or FROSTY THE SNOWMAN. – That’s a good one. | “结霜的雪人”也不错 对,不错 |
[42:10] | We could have one of the boys dress as a snowman and dance around. | 可以让一男生扮成雪人跳舞 |
[42:15] | Which boy? | 谁来扮 |
[42:21] | We’d do tryouts. | 可以先预演看看效果 |
[42:22] | FROSTY THE SNOWMAN espouses a pagan belief in magic. | “结霜的雪人”体现了… 异教徒们对魔法的支持 |
[42:27] | The snowman comes to life when an enchanted hat is put on his head. | 当魔法帽戴到雪人头上 他就有生命了 |
[42:31] | If the music were more somber, | 如果再配上冷峻严肃的音乐 |
[42:33] | people would realize the images are disturbing and the song heretical. | 会破坏节日的气氛 |
[42:38] | I’ve never thought about Frosty The Snowman like that. | 我从没觉得“结霜的雪人”… 是这样的呀 |
[42:41] | – It should be banned from the airwaves. – So. Not FROSTY THE SNOWMAN. | 早该被禁了 好,那就不用“结霜的雪人” |
[42:45] | Oh, IT’S BEGINNING TO LOOK LIKE A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS would be fine, I suppose. | 我觉得“圣诞将至”就挺好的 |
[42:51] | Parents would like it. | 家长都喜欢 |
[42:55] | May I ask what you’re writing down? With that ballpoint pen? | 您用圆珠笔写什么呢? |
[42:59] | Oh. Nothing. It’s an idea for a sermon. | 没什么,只是想起个布道的主题 |
[43:04] | – You had one right now? – I get them all the time. | 您现在就想到了? 想法随时都会涌现 |
[43:07] | How fortunate. | 您可真有才 |
[43:09] | I forget them so I have to write them down. | 我怕忘了,所以记在本子上 |
[43:13] | Oh. What is the idea? | 您想到了什么? |
[43:17] | Intolerance. | 偏狭 |
[43:24] | – Would you like a little more tea, Father? – Not yet. | 神父,再来点茶? 不用了 |
[43:29] | It’s a new time, Sister. | 时代变了,修女 |
[43:31] | – What’s new about this? – Something inside of people is new. | 怎么变了? 人们的观念与以往不同了 |
[43:34] | There is nothing new under the sun. | 在我看来,一切如常 |
[43:40] | The Church needs to change. | 教堂需要变革 |
[43:43] | We should sing a song from the radio now and then. | 偶尔放放电台播的歌曲 也未尝不可 |
[43:46] | – Take the kids out for ice cream. – Sweet tooth. | 带孩子出去吃吃冰淇淋 会养成吃甜食的坏习惯 |
[43:49] | Maybe take the boys on a camping trip. | 带男生出去露营也不错 |
[43:52] | The point being? | 您什么意思? |
[43:55] | We should be friendlier. | 我们应该更亲民些 |
[43:58] | You know, the children and the parents should see us as members of their family. | 你知道,家长孩子都视我们为… 家庭一员 |
[44:02] | But we are not members of their family. We’re different. | 可是我们本就不是 |
[44:07] | – Why? Because of our vows? – Precisely. | 为何这么说,只因我们誓言在身? 当然 |
[44:13] | I don’t think we’re so different. | 我不认为我们和他们有什么不同 |
[44:16] | You know, Sister, I would take some more tea. | 修女,我想再来点茶 |
[44:17] | And they think we’re different, yeah? | 那是你的看法 |
[44:21] | The working class… | 工薪阶层 |
[44:22] | The working class people of this parish trust us to be different. | 这个教区的工薪阶层 觉得我们的确与他们不同 |
[44:27] | Uh, I think we’re getting off the subject. | 我想还是换个话题吧 |
[44:30] | Yes, you’re right. You’re right. Back to it. | 我想也是 |
[44:38] | Yes, Sister Raymond? | 怎么了,雷蒙德修女? |
[44:44] | Well you tell her to wash her face and her neck and report to me at three. | 让她洗干净脸和脖子 三点再打给我 |
[44:48] | Yes. | 是 |
[44:51] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[44:53] | The Christmas pageant. | 圣诞庆典 |
[44:56] | We must be careful how Donald Miller is used in the pageant. | 我们需要谨慎对待… 唐纳德・米勒参演这个问题 |
[44:59] | Easy there, Sister. | 修女,小心 |
[45:08] | All right, what about Donald Miller? | 唐纳德・米勒怎么了? |
[45:10] | We must be careful, in the pageant, | 圣诞庆典,我们需要谨慎对待 |
[45:12] | that we neither hide Donald Miller nor put him forward. | 既不能不用唐纳德・米勒 又不能让他上台 |
[45:20] | – Because of the color of his skin? – That’s right, yeah. | 因为他是黑人 是的 |
[45:23] | Why? | 为什么 |
[45:26] | Oh come, Father. | 哦,神父,你知道的 |
[45:27] | I think he should be treated like every other boy. | 我们应该一视同仁 |
[45:31] | Well, you yourself singled the boy out for special attention. | 可是你却对他特别关心 |
[45:38] | You held a private meeting with him at the Rectory. A week ago? | 一礼拜前 你在办公室单独和他谈话 |
[45:44] | Yes. | 是的 |
[45:49] | What are we talking about? | 什么? |
[45:51] | Donald Miller? | 唐纳德・米勒? |
[45:56] | The boy acted strangely when he returned to class. | 他回课堂后,举止很怪 |
[46:01] | He did? | 是吗? |
[46:03] | When he returned from the Rectory. A little odd, yes. | 是的,就是他从办公室回来后 |
[46:07] | Can you tell us why? | 您能解释一下吗? |
[46:11] | How did he act strangely? | 他为什么举止古怪 |
[46:14] | He… I’m not sure how to explain it. | 他…我不知该怎么形容 |
[46:17] | He… he laid his head on the desk, and… some… | 他把头伏在课桌上,还有… |
[46:25] | – Do you mean you had some impression? – Yes. | 有什么引起了你的注意 是 |
[46:28] | And he’d come from the Rectory so you’re asking me? | 因为他刚从办公室回来 所以你问我要个说法? |
[46:31] | That’s it. | 正是 |
[46:38] | Did you want to discuss the pageant, is that why I’m here, | 你叫我来是想讨论圣诞庆典… |
[46:40] | or is this what you wanted to discuss? | 还是要讨论这个? |
[46:43] | This. | 这个 |
[46:46] | Well. I’m a little uncomfortable. | 我有点不自在 |
[46:49] | – Why? – Why do you think? | 为什么? 你觉得呢? |
[46:52] | The boy’s well-being is my responsibility. | 我的职责,就是保证他的安全 |
[46:56] | His well-being is not at issue. | 他的安全也在我们今天讨论之列? |
[46:57] | I’m not satisfied that that is true. He was upset when he returned to class. | 很遗憾,是的 他回课堂后,一副心烦意乱的样子 |
[47:05] | – Did he say something? – No. | 他说什么了? 没说 |
[47:09] | What happened in the Rectory? | 办公室究竟出了什么事? |
[47:12] | Happened? | 没什么事 |
[47:14] | Nothing happened. I had a talk with the boy. | 没什么,我只是和他聊了一会 |
[47:16] | – What about? – Private matter. | 聊什么? 私事 |
[47:19] | He’s twelve years old. What could be private? | 他才十二岁,能有什么私事 |
[47:24] | – Should I get the phone-? – No. | 我要接电话吗? 不用 |
[47:28] | I object to your tone. | 我不喜欢你的语气 |
[47:30] | This is not about my tone… or your tone, Father Flynn. | 这与语气无关,弗林神父 |
[47:39] | – It’s about arriving at the truth. – Of what? | 我们只关心事实 什么事实 |
[47:42] | You know what I’m talking about. Don’t you? | 你知道我的意思,不是吗? |
[47:49] | You’re controlling the expression on your face right now. Aren’t you? | 你在竭力掩饰你的表情,是不是? |
[47:53] | My face? | 表情 |
[47:57] | What exactly are you accusing me of? | 你究竟想指控我什么? |
[47:59] | I am not accusing you of anything, Father Flynn. | 我没这个意思,弗林神父 |
[48:01] | I am asking you to tell me what happened in the Rectory. | 请你告诉我,究竟发生过什么 |
[48:13] | I don’t wish to continue this. | 我不想再继续这次谈话 |
[48:17] | And if you’re dissatisfied with that, I suggest you speak to Monsignor Benedict. | 如果您对我有意见 可向本尼迪克特主教反映 |
[48:22] | I can only imagine this unfortunate behavior is the result of overwork. | 也许是你太操劳了 才对我如此唐突 |
[48:28] | Have a good morning. Sister. | 早,修女 |
[48:30] | Sister. | 修女 |
[48:36] | There was alcohol on his breath. | 他从你那回来后 |
[48:42] | When he returned from his meeting with you. | 嘴里有酒气 |
[48:49] | Alcohol. | 酒气 |
[48:52] | I did smell it on his breath. | 我的确闻到了 |
[49:00] | Well? | 是吗? |
[49:06] | – Let this alone. – No. | 请您不要插手 不可以 |
[49:17] | Take your time, Father. Would you like some more tea? | 神父,您别急,再来点茶 |
[49:22] | You should’ve let it alone. | 您就不要插手了 |
[49:26] | Not possible. | 休想 |
[49:36] | Mr. McGuinn caught Donald drinking altar wine. | 麦吉恩先生抓到唐纳德喝圣酒 |
[49:41] | When I found out, I sent for him. | 我知道了,就去找他谈 |
[49:46] | There were tears. | 他哭了 |
[49:48] | And he begged not to be removed from the altar boys. I took pity on him. | 求我…让他继续做祭童 我觉得这孩子挺可怜的 |
[49:54] | I told him if no one else found out, I would let him stay on. | 我说如果没有其他人发现 他可以继续做 |
[49:57] | Oh, what a relief! That explains everything! | 这就是了,一切都能说通了 |
[50:00] | Thanks be to God! Look, Sister, it was all a mistake! | 感谢上帝,修女,一场误会啊 |
[50:09] | And if I talk to Mr. McGuinn? | 我要去找麦吉恩先生对质 |
[50:11] | Oh, talk to him by all means. | 请便 |
[50:13] | But now that the boy’s secret’s out, I’m going to have to remove him | 虽然我也不想这样 既然男孩的秘密被揭破 他就不能再做祭童 |
[50:15] | from the altar boys. That’s what I was trying to avoid. | |
[50:17] | – You were trying to protect the boy! – That’s right. | 你还想护着他? 正是 |
[50:21] | I might have done the same thing! | 我也会这么做的 |
[50:24] | Is there a way Donald could stay on the altar boys? | 唐纳德是否有机会继续当祭童 |
[50:26] | If the boy drank altar wine, he can’t continue as an altar boy. | 既然喝了圣酒,就不能再当祭童 |
[50:30] | Of course. | 当然 |
[50:34] | – Are you satisfied? – Yes. | 你满意了 很满意 |
[50:43] | Well, I’ll be going. I have some writing to do. | 那我走了,还得写东西 |
[50:47] | – Intolerance. – That’s right. | 偏狭 正是 |
[50:52] | I’m not pleased with how you handled this, Sister. | 修女,我对您的处理方法很不满 |
[50:57] | Sister. | 修女 |
[51:06] | Well. | 哦 |
[51:10] | What a relief! He cleared it all up. | 如释重负,他澄清了事实 |
[51:15] | – You believe him? – Of course. | 你相信他? 当然 |
[51:23] | Isn’t it that it’s easier to believe him? | 他就那么容易让人信任? |
[51:26] | But we can corroborate his story with Mr. McGuinn. | 我们可以去找麦吉恩核实 |
[51:30] | Yes. | 是 |
[51:33] | These types of people are clever. | 这种人都精明得很 |
[51:39] | – Well, I’m convinced! – You’re not. | 我相信啊 你不会相信的 |
[51:43] | You just want things to be resolved so you can have simplicity back. | 你只是希望问题解决 你就能轻松地回去上课了 |
[51:49] | I want no further part of this. | 我不想再搀和这事了 |
[51:52] | I’ll bring him down. | 我会揭发他让他好看 |
[51:56] | How can you be so sure that he is lying? | 你就这么确定他在撒谎 |
[52:02] | Experience. | 多年经验 |
[52:06] | You just don’t like him! | 你只是看不惯他的作风 |
[52:09] | You don’t like it that he uses a ballpoint pen. | 你看不惯他用圆珠笔 |
[52:13] | You don’t like it that he takes three lumps of sugar in his tea. | 你看不惯他在茶里放三块糖 |
[52:16] | You don’t like it that he likes FROSTY THE SNOWMAN. | 你看不惯他喜欢“结霜的雪人” |
[52:19] | And you’re letting that convince you of something terrible, just terrible! | 这种偏见引你入歧途! |
[52:25] | Well, I like FROSTY THE SNOWMAN! | 可是我喜欢“结霜的雪人” |
[52:28] | And I think it would be nice if this school weren’t run like a jail! | 这所学校根本像座监狱 孩子们怎会快乐 |
[52:30] | And I think it’s a good thing that I love to teach History | 我喜欢教历史,因为我在做好事 |
[52:33] | and that I might inspire my students to love it, too! | 我也尽力鼓励学生们去喜欢历史 |
[52:35] | And if you judge that to mean that I’m not fit to be a teacher, then so be it! | 如果您凭这个就说我不适合当老师 那我无话可说 |
[52:43] | Sit down. | 坐 |
[52:54] | Look at that. You blew out my light. | 看看,都把我的灯气爆了 |
[53:01] | In ancient Sparta, important matters were decided by who shouted loudest. | 古代斯巴达,谁嗓门大谁有决定权 |
[53:06] | Fortunately, we are not in ancient Sparta. | 还好我们不在古代斯巴达 |
[53:16] | You honestly find the students in this school to be treated like inmates in a prison? | 你真的觉得这学校的学生… 像监狱的犯人一样 |
[53:23] | No. | 不 |
[53:25] | Actually, they all seem fairly happy. But they’re all uniformly terrified of you! | 其实我觉得他们都挺快乐的 可是他们也都太怕你了 |
[53:31] | Yes. That’s how it works. | 不这样,他们怎能乖乖听话 |
[53:36] | Sit there. | 坐 |
[53:53] | Hello, this is Sister Aloysius Beauvier, principal at St. Nicholas School. | 您好,我是阿洛伊修斯・比沃修女 圣尼古拉斯初中的校长 |
[53:57] | Is this Mrs. Miller? | 是米勒夫人么 |
[54:01] | I’m calling about your son, Donald. | 我想和您谈谈您的儿子唐纳德 |
[54:18] | A woman was gossiping with a friend about a man she hardly knew- | 一个女人和她的朋友 聊起了一个素不相识的男人 |
[54:23] | I know none of you have ever done this- | 我知道大家肯定不会这样 |
[54:26] | – that night she had a dream. | 那晚,她做了一个梦 |
[54:29] | A great hand appeared over her and pointed down at her. | 梦里,一只大手指着她 |
[54:35] | She was immediately seized with an overwhelming sense of guilt. | 她立刻被罪恶感包围 |
[54:40] | The next day she went to confession. | 第二天,她去忏悔 |
[54:43] | She got the old parish priest, Father O’Rourke, | 她问一位老教士…奥罗克神父 |
[54:47] | and she told him the whole thing. | 把整件事告诉他: |
[54:50] | “Is gossiping a sin?” she asked the old man. | “谈论别人也是罪?” 她问神父 |
[54:55] | “Was that the hand of God Almighty pointing a finger at me?” | “那是万能的主指着我吗?” |
[54:59] | “Should I be asking your absolution? | “我是否该请求您的宽恕?” |
[55:01] | Father, tell me, have I done something wrong?” | 神父,请告诉我…我哪里错了 |
[55:06] | “Yes!” Father O’Rourke answered her. | “当然”,神父奥罗克回答她: |
[55:09] | “Yes, you ignorant, badly brought-up female! | “你这无知愚昧的女人” |
[55:14] | You have borne false witness against your neighbor, | “你让无辜的他人… 也开始谈论你的邻居” |
[55:17] | you have played fast and loose with his reputation, | “你如此轻率地藐视他人的声誉” |
[55:20] | and you should be heartily ashamed!” | “你该深以为耻” |
[55:25] | So the woman said she was sorry and asked for forgiveness. | 女人说:她深感愧疚,并请求宽恕 |
[55:30] | “Not so fast!” says O’Rourke. | “不要这么急”,奥罗克说 |
[55:34] | “I want you to go home, take a pillow up on your roof, | “你回家,拿着枕头上屋顶 |
[55:39] | cut it open with a knife, and return here to me!” | 切开枕头,再拿来给我” |
[55:45] | So the woman went home, took a pillow off her bed, a knife from the drawer, | 女人回家,拿了刀和枕头 |
[55:50] | went up the fire escape to the roof, and stabbed the pillow. | 沿着逃生梯上屋顶,切开枕头 |
[55:54] | Then she went back to the old parish priest as instructed. | 然后,回去找老牧师 |
[55:58] | “Did you gut the pillow with the knife?” he says. | “你用刀切开了枕头?”,他问 |
[56:02] | “Yes, Father. ” “And what was the result?” | “是的,神父”,“结果呢” |
[56:07] | “Feathers,” she said. | “羽毛”,她说 |
[56:14] | “Feathers?” he repeated. | “羽毛?”,他重复着 |
[56:19] | “Feathers everywhere, Father!” | “漫天的羽毛,神父!” |
[56:24] | “Now I want you to go back | “现在,你回去 |
[56:27] | and gather up every last feather that flew out on the wind!” | 把每片飘在风中的羽毛收集起来” |
[56:32] | “Well,” she said, “it can’t be done. “ | 她说:“那不可能做到啊” |
[56:37] | “I don’t know where they went. The wind took them all over. “ | “风把羽毛都吹散了,我找不到” |
[56:43] | “And that,”said Father O’Rourke, “is gossip!” | “这就是”,奥罗克神父说 “这就是流言” |
[56:50] | In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, Amen. | 以神父、圣子、圣灵之名,阿门 |
[56:59] | Please rise. | 请起立 |
[57:32] | What’s that bird complaining about? | 这鸟儿在抱怨什么呢 |
[57:37] | What kind of bird is that? That a starling? A grackle? | 那是什么鸟,八哥?鹩哥? |
[57:45] | A crow. | 乌鸦 |
[57:47] | ‘Course it is. | 是哦 |
[57:49] | Are you praying? I didn’t mean to interrupt. | 你在祈祷吗?我无意打扰 |
[57:52] | I’m not praying, no. | 不,我没在祈祷 |
[57:55] | You seem subdued. | 你气色不好 |
[57:58] | Oh. I can’t sleep. | 哦,我失眠了 |
[58:02] | – Why not? – Bad dreams. | 为什么? 梦魇 |
[58:08] | Yeah, I can’t sleep on occasion. | 我偶尔也失眠 |
[58:11] | Why? Do you see that big hand pointing a finger at you? | 为什么?您也看到… 巨手伸出手指指着您? |
[58:15] | Yes. Sometimes. | 有时 |
[58:20] | Was your sermon directed at anyone in particular? | 您的布道是特指某人吗? |
[58:25] | What do you think? | 你觉得呢? |
[58:38] | I received a letter from my brother in Maryland. He’s very sick. | 我收到一封马里兰的来信 我弟弟…病得很重 |
[58:47] | – Then maybe you should go and see him. – I can’t leave my class. | 你该去看看 可我不能丢下学生 |
[59:01] | Is it true? | 那可是真的 |
[59:04] | What? | 什么? |
[59:07] | You know what I’m asking. | 您知道的 |
[59:11] | No. | 我不知道 |
[59:15] | I saw you put an undershirt in Donald Miller’s locker. | 我看到您把汗衫… 放进唐纳德・米勒的柜子里 |
[59:21] | – He left it in the sacristy. – Why didn’t you hand it to him? | 他落在圣器室了 怎么不当面交给他? |
[59:29] | I’m trying to spare him further embarrassment. | 不想让他再难堪 |
[59:48] | It’s me that cares about that child, not her. | 我才是真正关心他的人,而不是她 |
[59:53] | Has she ever reached out a hand? | 她何时真正关心过那些孩子? |
[59:57] | That black boy needs help or he’s not going to make it! | 那黑人孩子需要帮助 否则他在班里抬不起头 |
[1:00:01] | If she has her way, he’ll be left to his own undoing. | 按她的做法,这孩子迟早得毁了 |
[1:00:03] | Why do you think he drank the wine? He’s in trouble! | 他为什么偷酒喝,因为他有麻烦 |
[1:00:10] | And she sees me talk in a human way to these kids and she immediately assumes | 她看到我和孩子有说有笑 |
[1:00:13] | that there must be something wrong with it. | 就想当然的以为这其中有问题 |
[1:00:17] | Well, I’m not going to let her keep this parish in the dark ages! | 我不会任她像中世纪那样管理学校 |
[1:00:20] | And I’m not going to let her destroy my spirit of compassion! | 我不能让她泯灭我的怜悯 |
[1:00:24] | I’m sure that’s not her intent. | 她的本意并这样 |
[1:00:26] | – That I care about this congregation! – I know you do. | 可我关心的是那些会众 我知道 |
[1:00:29] | Like you care about your class! You love them, don’t you? | 就像你爱你的学生,不是吗? |
[1:00:36] | – Yes. – And that’s natural. | 是 那是发自内心的爱 |
[1:00:38] | How else would you relate to children? | 不然,你能怎样对那些孩子 |
[1:00:44] | That I can look at your face and know your philosophy. It’s kindness. | 看着你,我就知道你追求的是… 仁爱 |
[1:00:51] | I don’t know. I mean, of course. | 我也不清楚,我是说那当然 |
[1:00:56] | There are people who go after your humanity, Sister, | 修女,总有些人企图扼杀你的人性 |
[1:01:00] | that tell you the light in your heart is a weakness. Don’t believe it. | 他们还会说你心中的那点光明 正是你的弱点,别信他们 |
[1:01:06] | It’s an old tactic of cruel people to kill kindness in the name of virtue. | 那些伪君子总是打着宗教的旗号 扼杀你的仁爱与善良 |
[1:01:13] | There’s nothing wrong with love. | 爱没有错 |
[1:01:18] | Love? | 爱 |
[1:01:21] | Have you forgotten the message of our Savior? It’s love of people. | 还记得救世主传达的讯息吗? 爱…世人 |
[1:01:37] | I just feel as if everything is upside down. | 我只觉得剪不断理还乱 |
[1:01:45] | There are just times in life when we feel lost. It happens. | 人生路上总有迷惘 |
[1:01:52] | And it’s a bond. | 可那恰恰是将我们团结的力量 |
[1:01:59] | – Flowers. – To remind me of Spring. | 花瓣 让我想起春天 |
[1:02:13] | I should be going. | 我得走了 |
[1:02:18] | – I’m sorry your brother’s ill. – Thank you, Father. | 对你弟弟的病我深表同情 谢谢,神父 |
[1:02:30] | I don’t believe it! | 我不相信 |
[1:02:34] | You don’t? | 是吗? |
[1:02:37] | No. | 是的 |
[1:02:40] | Thank you, Sister. Thank you very much. | 谢谢,修女,多谢 |
[1:03:00] | Father, I think I’ve just got to tell somebody. | 神父,我想我得告诉别人 |
[1:03:03] | – Hello, Noreen. – I’m in love. | 你好,诺琳 我想我可能爱上某人了 |
[1:03:06] | – That’s wonderful. Who’s the lucky boy? – Jimmy Hurley. | 很好啊,谁是那个幸运儿 吉米・赫尔利 |
[1:03:10] | Have you told him? | 你告诉他了吗? |
[1:03:14] | – Maybe you should. – Maybe I will, Father. | 你该告诉他 我会的,神父 |
[1:03:19] | Jimmy! Jimmy Hurley! | 吉米,吉米・赫尔利 |
[1:03:24] | Over here. | 过来 |
[1:03:31] | Father Sherman… | 谢尔曼神父 |
[1:03:43] | You drop something. | 你的东西掉了 |
[1:04:02] | It’s all right. | 没关系 |
[1:04:21] | Okay. Be quiet. | 没事,安静 |
[1:04:27] | I said be quiet! | 我说了,安静 |
[1:04:31] | The next one of you that speaks out of turn gets sent right to the Principal! | 谁再说话直接去找校长 |
[1:04:35] | Now the question was: What was Patrick Henry’s famous remark? | 问题:帕特里克・亨利提出的… 一句著名的口号是什么? |
[1:04:44] | – Donald. – Sister? | 唐纳德 修女 |
[1:04:51] | What was the question? | 什么问题? |
[1:04:55] | Nobody help him. Jimmy, put your hand down. | 谁也不许帮腔,吉米,放下手 |
[1:04:58] | Donald Miller, stand up. | 唐纳德・米勒,起立 |
[1:05:06] | – What was the question, Donald? – I don’t know, Sister. | 唐纳德,我问的问题是什么? 修女,我不知道 |
[1:05:11] | – That means you weren’t listening. – Yes, Sister. | 你上课不认真听讲 是,修女 |
[1:05:16] | The question was: What was Patrick Henry’s famous remark? | 问题:帕特里克・亨利提出的… 一句著名的口号是什么 |
[1:05:24] | – I don’t know. – “Give me liberty or give me death!” | 我不知道 “不自由,毋宁死” |
[1:05:27] | James Hurley, down to the Principal’s office now! | 詹姆斯・赫尔利,去校长办公室 马上! |
[1:05:55] | – Mrs. Miller? – Yes. | 米勒夫人 是 |
[1:05:58] | Come in. | 请进 |
[1:06:01] | Please have a seat. | 请坐 |
[1:06:07] | I was changing a bulb. | 我正换灯泡呢 |
[1:06:10] | I thought I mighta had the wrong day. You didn’t answer. | 我以为不该今天来,您没回我话 |
[1:06:13] | Huh? Oh. Well, just between us, | 是吗?咱俩只是随便聊聊 |
[1:06:19] | Iwas listening to a transistor radio with an earpiece. | 我正戴着耳塞听收音机 |
[1:06:23] | Look how tiny they’re making ’em. | 看看这个,做得多精致呀 |
[1:06:25] | I confiscated it from one of the students, now I can’t stop listening to it. | 从一个学生那没收来的 竟然听上瘾了 |
[1:06:30] | You like music? | 您喜欢听音乐 |
[1:06:34] | No. News reports. | 不,听听新闻 |
[1:06:36] | Years ago I used to listen to all the news reports | 多年前,我经常收听新闻报道 |
[1:06:39] | because my husband was in Italy in the war. | 因为我丈夫在意大利打仗 |
[1:06:42] | – You were a married woman? – Yes. But then he was killed. | 您结过婚? 是的,但后来他战死了 |
[1:06:49] | – Is your husband coming? – Couldn’t get off work. | 您丈夫没来? 工作忙 |
[1:06:52] | I only have a half an hour myself. | 我也只有半小时时间 |
[1:06:54] | I see. Of course. It was a lot to ask. | 知道了,很多事情想问您 |
[1:07:06] | How’s Donald doing? | 唐纳德表现如何? |
[1:07:09] | He’s passing his subjects. He has average grades. | 都过了,成绩中等 太好了,他被开除出祭童之列 一直因为这事不开心 |
[1:07:12] | Hmm. Good. He was upset about getting taken off the altar boys. | |
[1:07:18] | Did he explain why? | 他说为什么了吗? |
[1:07:20] | He said he was caught drinking altar wine. | 他说他被抓到喝圣酒 |
[1:07:23] | That is the reason. | 正是 |
[1:07:25] | Well, that seems fair. | 这是规矩 |
[1:07:30] | But he’s a good boy, Sister. | 可是修女,他一直力求上进 |
[1:07:31] | He fell down there, but he’s a good boy pretty much down the line. | 虽然犯了错误,可仍是个好孩子 |
[1:07:34] | How is he at home? | 他在家表现怎样? |
[1:07:38] | His father beat the hell out of him over that wine. | 因为喝酒这事,他父亲狠揍他 |
[1:07:40] | Oh, he shouldn’t do that! | 那怎么行 |
[1:07:42] | You don’t tell my husband what to do. You just stand back. | 我家的事您还是少管 |
[1:07:47] | My husband didn’t want Donald to come here. | 我丈夫本不愿送唐纳德来这上学 |
[1:07:50] | – Why? – He thought he’d have trouble | 为什么? 他觉得他会和其他孩子起冲突 其实没事 |
[1:07:52] | with the other boys. But that hasn’t eally happened. | |
[1:07:55] | Good. | 很好 |
[1:07:57] | That priest, Father Flynn, been watching out for him. | 弗林神父一直很护他 |
[1:08:03] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:08:11] | Excuse me. | 我出去一下 |
[1:08:22] | – James Hurley, what are you doing out of class? – Sister James sent me down. | 詹姆斯・赫尔利,你逃课? 詹姆斯修女让我过来 |
[1:08:25] | – What for? – Talking. | 为什么? 上课说话 |
[1:08:27] | Well, go back up and shut up! Go, go! | 赶快回去,不许说话了,快回去 |
[1:08:36] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[1:08:43] | None of your business! Go on! Go back to class. | 和你无关,快回去上课 |
[1:08:47] | Bullshit. | 屁话 |
[1:08:48] | – What’d you say? – Nothing. | 你说什么? 没说什么 |
[1:08:57] | – You have twenty minutes you say? – It’s just that I have to walk to work. | 您只有…二十分钟 是的,我还得去工作 |
[1:09:03] | – Where is work? – Parkchester. | 在哪工作? 帕克查斯特 |
[1:09:05] | If I don’t start cleaning by noon, I’m not home to let Donald in. | 如果中午不开始工作 唐纳德放学时就没人接 |
[1:09:09] | – May I walk with you? – I don’t mind. | 我们边走边聊? 可以 |
[1:09:15] | …eight sixty-fourths. Who can tell me what the common denominator is? | 64分之8… 谁能告诉我它的公分母是多少 |
[1:09:21] | Nobody? | 没人知道 |
[1:09:25] | Back already, Mr. Hurley? | 赫尔利回来了 |
[1:09:28] | – I said, back already, Mr. Hurley?! – Leave me alone. | 我说回来了,赫尔利 少烦我 |
[1:09:32] | Who do you think you’re talking to? | 你怎么这么没礼貌 |
[1:09:34] | This is my classroom, Boy. Don’t you forget that. | 小子,别忘了,我是老师 |
[1:09:42] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[1:09:50] | I’m sorry, Jimmy. | 我也很抱歉,吉米 |
[1:09:56] | Have you met Father Flynn? | 你见过弗林神父? |
[1:09:59] | Just seen him on the altar, haven’t met him face to face. | 弥撒的时候看他站在台上 没见过面 |
[1:10:01] | No. Just, you know, heard from Donald. | 还有,听唐纳德说起过 |
[1:10:04] | And what does he say? | 他怎么说? |
[1:10:05] | Oh, you know, “Father Flynn, Father Flynn. “ | 成天把“弗林神父”挂在嘴边 |
[1:10:08] | He looks up to him. The man gives him his time, which is what the boy needs. | 他很尊敬他,他也经常陪他 |
[1:10:11] | He needs that. | 这孩子需要别人的照顾 |
[1:10:13] | Mrs. Miller, we may have a problem. | 米勒夫人,有件事情不得不说 |
[1:10:17] | Well, I thought there musta been a reason you wanting to see me. | 我想你一定是有事才叫我来 |
[1:10:19] | Principal’s a big job. | 校长的工作不好做 |
[1:10:22] | I just want to say though, it’s just till June. | 我只想说,撑到六月份就好了 |
[1:10:25] | Excuse me? | 您说什么? |
[1:10:28] | Whatever the problem is, Donald just has to make it till June. | 不管怎样,唐纳德必须待到六月 |
[1:10:32] | – Then he’s off into high school. – Right. | 他就能升高中? 是 |
[1:10:36] | If Donald can graduate from St. Nicholas, | 唐纳德能从圣尼古拉斯初中毕业 |
[1:10:38] | he’s got a better chance of getting into a good high school. | 进好学校的机会很大 |
[1:10:41] | And that would mean an opportunity at college. | 那样他就有进会念大学 |
[1:10:45] | I don’t see anything at this time standing in the way of his graduating with his class. | 现在看来,他能顺利毕业 |
[1:10:52] | – Well, that’s all I care about. – I doubt that. | 这正是我关心的 有件事我仍有疑虑 |
[1:10:55] | Try me. | 请讲 |
[1:10:59] | I am concerned about the relationship between Father Flynn and your son. | 您儿子和弗林神父的关系 我很是担心 |
[1:11:04] | You don’t say. Concerned. What do you mean, concerned? | 担心,您什么意思? |
[1:11:08] | That it may not be right. | 他俩的关系有些不对劲 |
[1:11:12] | Well, there’s something wrong with everybody, isn’t that so? | 人与人之间的关系本就这样 |
[1:11:14] | Got to be forgiving. I work right there. | 得学着宽容,我在这工作 |
[1:11:17] | I’m concerned, to be frank, | 说实话,我担心 |
[1:11:24] | that Father Flynn may have made advances on your son. | 弗林神父…可能占您儿子便宜 |
[1:11:32] | – May have made. – I can’t be certain. | 可能? 我不确定 |
[1:11:36] | – No evidence? – No. | 您有证据吗? 没有 |
[1:11:39] | Then maybe there’s nothing to it. | 那就说明不了问题 |
[1:11:49] | I think there is something to it. | 有件事情与之有关 |
[1:11:52] | I think Father Flynn gave Donald that altar wine. | 我想…是弗林神父 让唐纳德喝的圣酒 |
[1:11:55] | Why would he do that? | 他为什么这样做? |
[1:12:00] | – Has Donald been acting strange lately? – No. | 唐纳德最近表现正常吗? 正常 |
[1:12:03] | – Nothing out of the ordinary? – He’s been himself. | 没什么出格的举动 没看出来 |
[1:12:06] | – Alright. – Look, Sister. I don’t want any trouble. | 那就好 听着,修女,我不想惹麻烦 |
[1:12:09] | I don’t uhh… I’m not sure you completely understand. | 我想您没明白我的意思 |
[1:12:11] | I think I understand the kind of thing you’re talking about. | 我当然明白 |
[1:12:13] | But I don’t want to get into it. | 我不想听,也不想管 |
[1:12:16] | What’s that? | 您这什么意思? |
[1:12:20] | Look, I only have a few minutes. | 听着,我只有几分钟时间 |
[1:12:22] | Not to be disagreeing, but if we’re talking about something floating | 恕我直言 若牧师和我儿子之间真有什么 那也不是我儿子的错 |
[1:12:25] | around between this priest and my son, it ain’t my son’s fault. | |
[1:12:28] | – Oh, I’m not suggesting that- – He’s just a boy. | 我不是那意思 他只是个孩子 |
[1:12:31] | – I know. – Twelve years old. | 我知道 他才十二岁 |
[1:12:32] | If somebody should be taking blame, it should be the man, not the boy. | 若真要怪罪,也该是那牧师 不是我儿子 |
[1:12:34] | – I know. I agree with you completely. – You’re agreeing with me, | 我…我安全同意 如果真是这样 |
[1:12:37] | but I got called to the principal if you know what I’m saying. | 那我就得和当事人谈谈了 |
[1:12:39] | I am concerned about Donald’s welfare. | 我很担心唐纳德的安全 |
[1:12:44] | You honestly think that priest gave Donald that wine to drink? | 你真认为神父给唐纳德酒喝 |
[1:12:46] | Yes, I do. | 是,我是这样认为 |
[1:12:48] | Then how come my son got kicked off the altar boys | 如果是他给的酒 为什么我儿子被开除出祭童之列 我知道 |
[1:12:50] | – if it was the man that gave it to him? – I know. | |
[1:12:52] | The boy got caught, the man didn’t. | 只抓到了孩子 没抓到大人 |
[1:12:58] | – So you’re giving my son the blame. – No. | 你还是归咎于我儿子 |
[1:12:59] | No problem my son getting blamed. And you know why that is? | 当然不是 我儿子没错,知道原因吗? |
[1:13:01] | Perhaps you should let me talk. I think you’re getting upset now. | 您正在气头上,听我说两句行吗 修女,你扳不倒神甫的 |
[1:13:03] | Sister, you ain’t going against no MAN in a ROBE and win. | |
[1:13:05] | – He’s got the position. – And he’s got your son. | 他位高权重 可是他占你儿子的便宜 |
[1:13:07] | Let him have him then. | 那就让他去 |
[1:13:11] | What? | 您说什么? |
[1:13:15] | It’s just till June. | 反正只到六月 |
[1:13:19] | – Do you know what you’re saying? – Know more about it than you. | 您怎么就不懂我的意思呢? 我当然懂 |
[1:13:26] | I believe this man is creating or may have already brought about | 我确信这男人… 将要或已经与您儿子… |
[1:13:32] | – an improper relationship with your son. – I don’t know. | 发生不正当的关系 我不觉得 |
[1:13:37] | I know I am right. | 我知道我是对的 |
[1:13:38] | Why you gotta know something like that for sure when you don’t? | 你无凭无据,怎能这样肯定? |
[1:13:43] | What kind of mother are you? | 你这做母亲的,怎可如此冷漠 |
[1:13:49] | Excuse me, but you don’t know enough about life to say | 修女,也许您的阅历… |
[1:13:52] | – a thing like that, Sister. – I know enough. | 还不够广 我见得太多 |
[1:13:54] | You know the rules maybe, but that don’t cover it. | 您也有力不从心的时候 |
[1:13:56] | I know what I won’t accept! | 我只知道有些事我不能容忍 |
[1:13:58] | You accept what you gotta accept and you work with it. | 有些事不忍也得忍 |
[1:14:00] | This man is in my school. | 那男人居然在我学校做这种事 |
[1:14:01] | Well, he’s gotta be somewhere and maybe he’s doing some good, too. | 也许他在别处,也许他做得对 |
[1:14:03] | He is after the boys! | 他在猥亵男童 |
[1:14:04] | Well, maybe some of them boys want to get caught! | 也许有些孩子是主动送上前去的 |
[1:14:19] | That’s why his father beat him. | 他父亲就为这个才揍他 |
[1:14:25] | Not the wine. | 不是因为偷酒 |
[1:14:35] | What are you telling me? | 你说什么? |
[1:14:41] | I’m talking about the boy’s nature now, not anything he’s done. | 那孩子的举动是性格使然 |
[1:14:50] | You can’t hold a child responsible for what God gave him to be. | 天性如此,怎么能怪罪孩子? |
[1:14:56] | I’m only interested in actions, Mrs. Miller. | 米勒夫人,我只关心他做过什么 |
[1:14:59] | But then there’s the boy’s nature. | 可那孩子生来如此 |
[1:15:01] | – Leave that out of it. – Forget it then. | 别把这个扯进来 那就不要提了 |
[1:15:06] | You’re the one forcing people to say things. | 你总逼迫别人一定说出个所以然 |
[1:15:13] | My boy came to your school ’cause they were going to kill him in the public school. | 我儿子在公立学校差点被打死 所以才转学到这 |
[1:15:20] | His father don’t like him. | 他父亲不喜欢他 |
[1:15:23] | He come to your school, kids don’t like him. | 他到您这也不招同学喜欢 |
[1:15:27] | One man is good to him. This priest. Then does the man have his reasons? Yes. | 神父对他好,一定是有原因的 |
[1:15:34] | Everybody does. YOU have your reasons. | 你也有你的原因,但是… 我问过为什么神父会对他好吗 |
[1:15:36] | But do I ask the man why he’s good to my son? | |
[1:15:43] | No. | 没有 |
[1:15:48] | I don’t care why. | 因为我不关心 |
[1:15:54] | My son needs some man to care about him | 我儿子需要有个人照顾 |
[1:16:00] | and to see him through the way he wants to go. | 指引他,按他自己的意愿成长 |
[1:16:03] | I thank God, this educated man with some kindness in him wants to do just that. | 感谢上帝 这个有教养的男人愿意对他好 |
[1:16:08] | – This will not do. – It’s just till June. | 这可不叫对他好 六月就结束了 |
[1:16:11] | I’ll throw your son out of this school. | 我要开除你儿子 |
[1:16:13] | And why would you do that if it didn’t start with him? | 错不在他,为什么要开除他? |
[1:16:16] | Because I will stop this. | 因为我得了解此事 |
[1:16:18] | – You’d hurt my son to get your way? – It won’t end with your son. | 以伤害我儿子来达成你的目的 又不会毁了他 |
[1:16:22] | – Throw the priest out then. – I am trying to do just that. | 那就让神父走 我正想办法 |
[1:16:25] | Then what do you want from me? | 那你要我怎样? |
[1:16:35] | Nothing. | 不需要 |
[1:16:40] | As it turns out. | 至少看起来是这样 |
[1:16:43] | Please leave my son out of this. | 请不要把我儿子卷进来 |
[1:16:54] | My husband will kill that child over a thing like this. | 我丈夫会为这种丑事杀了他 |
[1:17:07] | I will try. | 我尽力 |
[1:17:19] | I’m late. | 我要迟到了 |
[1:17:23] | Sister, | 修女 |
[1:17:27] | I don’t know if you and me on the same side. | 虽然我不知道你我是否一心 |
[1:17:31] | I’ll be standing with my son and those who are good with my son. | 但我会坚定地支持我儿子 还有为他着想的人 |
[1:17:36] | It’d be nice to see you there. Good morning. | 很高兴你在,早安 |
[1:18:58] | May I come in? | 我能进来吗? |
[1:19:00] | A third party would be required. | 得有第三人在 |
[1:19:02] | Yeah. What was Donald’s mother doing here? | 唐纳德的母亲来这做什么? |
[1:19:06] | – We were having a chat. – About what? | 和我聊聊 聊什么? |
[1:19:08] | A third party would truly be required, Father. Why- | 得有第三人在,我们才能继续 |
[1:19:11] | No, Sister. No third party. You and me are due for a talk. | 不需要,修女,我们必须得谈谈 |
[1:19:15] | You have to stop this campaign against me! | 你非得让所有人都针对我才罢休? |
[1:19:17] | You can stop it at any time. | 你先罢手,我才罢休 |
[1:19:20] | – How? – Confess and resign. | 怎么讲? 忏悔,辞职 |
[1:19:21] | You are attempting to destroy my reputation! | 你想毁我声誉! |
[1:19:24] | Who keeps opening my window?! | 谁总把我窗户打开 |
[1:19:29] | – What are you doing in this school? – I’m trying to do good! | 你在这学校究竟做了什么? 我只想做好事 |
[1:19:33] | Even more to the point, what are you doing in the priesthood? | 说得再清楚点,作为一个神父 你究竟做了什么? |
[1:19:38] | You are single-handedly holding this school and this parish back! | 你在学校,整个教区,只手遮天 |
[1:19:43] | – From what? – Progressive education and a welcoming Church. | 我怎么了? 不让孩子接受进步教育 不让教堂更亲民 |
[1:19:46] | You can’t distract me, Father. This is not about my behavior, it’s about yours. | 别转移话题,神父,我们要说的… 是你的所做所为,与我无关 |
[1:19:50] | No, this is about your unfounded suspicions. | 但你却是毫无根据的怀疑 |
[1:19:52] | – That’s right. I have suspicions. – Just leave that. It’s not important. | 不错,我是怀疑过 那无关紧要 |
[1:19:56] | I will decide what’s important. | 紧不紧要,我说了算 |
[1:20:02] | WHY do you suspect me? What have I done? | 为什么要怀疑我,我做了什么? |
[1:20:07] | You gave that boy wine, and you let him take the blame. | 你给那孩子酒喝,归罪于他 |
[1:20:11] | That’s completely untrue! Did you talk to Mr. McGuinn? | 根本不是这样,你问过麦吉恩吗? |
[1:20:14] | All McGuinn knows is that the boy drank wine. | 麦吉恩只看到那孩子喝酒 |
[1:20:16] | He doesn’t know how he came to drink it. | 他不知道那酒怎么来的 |
[1:20:19] | Did his mother have something to add to that? | 他母亲呢,难道没说什么? |
[1:20:21] | No. | 没有 |
[1:20:23] | – So that’s it. – I am not satisfied. | 就这些… 我很不满 |
[1:20:27] | – Ask the boy then! – Oh, he’d protect you. | 问问那孩子 他肯定向着你 |
[1:20:30] | – Why would he do that? – Because you have seduced him. | 为什么? 因为你猥亵过他 |
[1:20:34] | You’re insane! You’ve got it in your head that I’ve corrupted | 你疯了,这全是你的凭空臆测 |
[1:20:38] | this child after giving him wine, and nothing I say will change that. | 我再说什么也不能改变你的看法 |
[1:20:42] | – That’s right. – But this has nothing to do with the wine. | 是 这根本与酒无关 |
[1:20:45] | Not really. You had a fundamental mistrust of me before this incident! | 这件事之前,你就根本不信任我 |
[1:20:48] | It was you that warned Sister James to be on the lookout, wasn’t it? | 是你让詹姆斯修女注意我 |
[1:20:52] | That’s true. | 是的 |
[1:20:53] | – So you admit it! – Certainly. | 你承认了 当然 |
[1:20:57] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:21:01] | I know people. | 我识人 |
[1:21:04] | – That’s not good enough! – It won’t have to be. | 就凭这个? 凭这个就够了 |
[1:21:07] | – How’s that? – You will tell me what you have done! | 为什么? 老实告诉我,你做了什么 |
[1:21:12] | Oh I will? | 告诉你? |
[1:21:16] | Out again! | 又灭了 |
[1:21:19] | Sister James is convinced I’m innocent. | 詹姆斯修女深信我是无辜的 |
[1:21:22] | Oh, so you talked to Sister James? | 你和詹姆斯修女谈过了 |
[1:21:26] | Well, of course you talked to Sister James. | 当然,你肯定会去找詹姆斯修女 |
[1:21:28] | – Did you know that Donald’s father beats him? – Yes. | 你知不知道唐纳德的父亲打他 知道 |
[1:21:31] | And might that not account for the odd behavior Sister James noticed in the boy? | 是不是因为这个,他才举止异常 被詹姆斯修女注意到 |
[1:21:37] | It might. | 有可能 |
[1:21:39] | Then what is it? What? | 那是什么? |
[1:21:42] | What did you hear, what did you see that convinced you so thoroughly? | 你听到…看到了什么? 让你如此深信不移 |
[1:21:49] | – What does it matter? – It matters! What does it matter? | 这有关系吗? 怎么没有,当然有关系! |
[1:21:55] | I want to know. | 我得知道 |
[1:22:08] | Out this window I saw you grab William London’s wrist and… | 有一次… 我在这看到你… 抓着威廉・伦敦的手腕 |
[1:22:15] | I saw him pull away. | 我看到他迅速抽了回去 |
[1:22:35] | – Are you serious? – I am. | 就凭这个? 是的 |
[1:22:38] | – That’s all? – Yeah. That was all. | 就这些? 是的,就这些 |
[1:22:47] | That’s nothing! | 这算什么! |
[1:22:51] | – What are you doing now? – I’m writing down what you say. | 你现在做什么? 把你的话都记下来 |
[1:22:54] | It might be important when I have to explain why you have to be removed. | 我向上面解释你需要离职 这是很重要的证据 |
[1:23:04] | This morning, before I spoke with Mrs. Miller, | 今早在我和米勒夫人谈话之前 |
[1:23:08] | I took the precaution of calling your last parish. | 我给你服务的上一个教区打了电话 |
[1:23:12] | What’d he say? | 他怎么说? |
[1:23:14] | – Who? – The Pastor. | 谁? 大司祭 |
[1:23:18] | I did not speak to the Pastor. I spoke to a nun. | 我没找大司祭说,只问了一修女 |
[1:23:23] | – You should have spoken to the Pastor. – I spoke to a nun. | 你该找大司祭 我找了修女 |
[1:23:28] | You know that’s not the proper route for you to have taken, Sister! | 修女,这么做不合礼法 |
[1:23:31] | The Church is very clear. You’re supposed to go through the Pastor. | 教堂规定得很清楚 你需要找大司祭了解情况 |
[1:23:34] | Why? You have an understanding, you and he? | 怎么,你倒像我关心起礼法了? |
[1:23:37] | No, you have no right to go rummaging through my past! | 你没权利追查我的过去 |
[1:23:40] | You have a history. This is your third parish in five years. | 你有前科,五年间你换了三个教区 |
[1:23:44] | – Call the Pastor. – Why? | 找大司祭 为什么? |
[1:23:46] | Ask him why I left! It’s perfectly innocent. | 问他我为什么离开,我是无辜的 |
[1:23:49] | – I’m not calling the Pastor. – I’m a good priest! | 我不会问大司祭 我是一名出色的神父 |
[1:23:52] | You will go after another child and another child, until you are stopped. | 那些孩子是你的目标… 除非你肯罢手 |
[1:23:55] | – What nun did you speak to? – I won’t say. | 修女说了什么 不能告诉你 |
[1:23:58] | – I’ve not touched a child. – You have. | 我从未碰过一个孩子 你有 |
[1:24:01] | You haven’t the slightest proof of anything. | 你无凭无据 |
[1:24:03] | But I have my certainty, and armed with that, I will go to your last parish, | 但我确信,我会去你的上一个教区 |
[1:24:08] | and the one before that if necessary. I’ll find a parent. | 还有之前的那个 总能找到孩子的家长 |
[1:24:11] | Trust me, Father Flynn, I will. | 相信我,弗林神父,我会这么做 |
[1:24:14] | You have no right to act on your own! You have taken vows, obedience being one! | 你有什么权利这么做 你发过誓,要服从上面 |
[1:24:22] | You answer to us! You have no right to step outside the church! | 你只须向我汇报 你无权涉足教堂外的事 |
[1:24:28] | I will step outside the church if that’s what needs to be done, | 如有必要,我必须涉足 |
[1:24:31] | till the door should shut behind me! | 除非事情平息 |
[1:24:33] | I will do what needs to be done, though I’m damned to Hell! | 我必须恪尽职守 否则我会下地狱 |
[1:24:38] | You should understand that, or you will mistake me. | 你最好想清楚,不然… 那你可太小看我了 |
[1:24:45] | Now, did you give Donald Miller wine to drink? | 你是否诱使唐纳德・米勒喝酒 |
[1:24:50] | – Have you never done anything wrong? – I have. | 你可曾犯过错? 是 |
[1:24:54] | A mortal sin? | 不可饶恕的大罪? |
[1:25:05] | Yes. | 是 |
[1:25:08] | And? | 后来呢? |
[1:25:12] | I confessed it, Father! | 神父,我忏悔过了 |
[1:25:18] | Then whatever I have done, I have left in the healing hands of my confessor. | 不管怎样,我已向神父忏悔 请求宽恕 |
[1:25:26] | As have you! We are the same! | 我们都一样 |
[1:25:39] | No, we are not, we are not the same! | 不,我们不同 |
[1:25:52] | A dog that bites is a dog that bites! | 本性难移 |
[1:25:57] | Did you give Donald Miller wine to drink? | 你是否给唐纳德・米勒酒喝 |
[1:26:01] | No. | 没有 |
[1:26:04] | Mental reservation? | 有所保留? |
[1:26:07] | No. | 没有 |
[1:26:11] | You lie. | 你撒谎 |
[1:26:16] | Very well then. | 很好 |
[1:26:20] | If you will not leave my office, I will. | 如果你不走,那我走了 |
[1:26:28] | And once I go, I will not stop. | 我不会停 |
[1:26:37] | Wait. | 等等 |
[1:27:05] | I can’t say everything, you understand? There’s things I can’t say. | 我不能说,有些事…我不能说 |
[1:27:14] | Even if you can’t imagine the explanation, Sister, | 修女,也许尽管耳不忍闻 |
[1:27:18] | remember there are things beyond your knowledge. | 总有些事,是你不能理解的 |
[1:27:25] | Even if you feel certainty, it is an emotion, not a fact. | 即使你确信 那也是主观,而非客观 |
[1:27:34] | You will request a transfer, and take a leave of absence until it’s granted. | 你得请求调离 调令没来,你不能走 |
[1:27:44] | You’d leave me nothing. | 你把我逼到绝路 |
[1:27:47] | It’s Donald Miller who has nothing, and you took full advantage of that. | 唐纳德・米勒何尝不是 你却只知玩弄他 |
[1:27:53] | I’ve done nothing wrong. I care about that boy. | 我问心无愧,我才真正关心那孩子 |
[1:27:58] | Why? | 为什么? |
[1:28:03] | ‘Cause you smile at him and you sympathize with him | 因为你可以伪装成正常人 |
[1:28:09] | and you talk to him as if you were the same? | 与他有说有笑 |
[1:28:16] | You are a cheat. | 你这伪君子 |
[1:28:22] | And that warm feeling you experienced, | 当男孩满怀信任地看着你 |
[1:28:25] | when that boy looked at you with trust, was not the sensation of virtue. | 那种内心的欢娱,根本是假象 |
[1:28:32] | That could be got by any drunkard with his tot of rum. | 任何一个醉汉,都有过这样的欢愉 |
[1:28:37] | – I can fight you. – You will lose. | 我会和你斗下去 你会输的 |
[1:28:45] | – Where’s your compassion? – Nowhere you can get at it. | 你就没一点同情心? 你还有脸说我 |
[1:28:55] | Stay here. Compose yourself. You can use the phone if you like. | 您就在这…好好想想说辞吧 电话也给你用 |
[1:29:03] | Good day, Father. | 日安,神父 |
[1:29:16] | I have no sympathy for you. I know you are invulnerable to true regret. | 我一点都不同情你 因为你不知悔改 |
[1:29:31] | And cut your nails. | 还有,把指甲剪了吧 |
[1:31:06] | I never like to say goodbye. | 我不喜欢说再见 |
[1:31:11] | But there is a wind behind every one of us that takes us through our lives. | 总有一种力量萦绕在我们生活中 |
[1:31:18] | We never see it, we can’t command it, we don’t even know its purpose. | 无形,无羁,捉摸不透 |
[1:31:29] | I would have stayed among you longer, but that wind is taking me away. | 我很想在此逗留 但那力量要带我离开 |
[1:31:40] | I will miss it here. And I will miss you. | 我留恋这里,更留恋你们 |
[1:31:47] | But I’m content that the power that propels me | 但是我很满足,因为这种力量… |
[1:31:52] | does so with superior knowledge | 赐予我渊博的学识 |
[1:31:56] | as to what is for the best, and that is my faith. | 让我造福世人,那正是我的理想 |
[1:32:07] | I would like to come down now among you and say goodbye, | 我会到你们中间去,一一话别 |
[1:32:14] | and wish you peaceful hearts and loving hearts. | 希望大家都能得到安宁喜悦 |
[1:32:29] | Goodbye, son. | 再见,孩子 |
[1:32:36] | Happy holidays. | 节日快乐 |
[1:32:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:32:53] | Thank you so much. God bless you. | 谢谢,上帝保佑 |
[1:32:58] | Good bye. | 再见 |
[1:34:14] | – Sister James, welcome back. – Thank you, Sister. | 詹姆斯修女,欢迎回来 谢谢,修女 |
[1:34:18] | – You were missed. How is your brother? – Better. Much better. | 大家都很想念你,你弟情况怎样? 很好,好多了 |
[1:34:23] | I’m very glad. I prayed for him. | 我很高兴,我曾为他祈祷 |
[1:34:29] | It was good to get away. I needed to see my family. | 真得离开一段时间,我得见见家人 |
[1:34:32] | Then I’m glad you did it. | 很高兴你能这么做 |
[1:34:38] | And Father Flynn is gone. | 弗林神父走了? |
[1:34:41] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:34:46] | So you did it. You got him out. | 你做到了,把他赶走了 |
[1:34:49] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:34:53] | Donald Miller is heartbroken. | 唐纳德・米勒很伤心 |
[1:34:55] | Can’t be helped. It’s just till June. | 顾不了那么多,到六月就行了 |
[1:35:03] | I don’t think Father Flynn did anything wrong. | 我没觉得弗林神父做错了什么 |
[1:35:07] | – No? He convinced you? – Yes, he did. | 是吗,他说服了你? 是的 |
[1:35:17] | – Did you ever prove it? – To whom? | 你证明了? 向谁? |
[1:35:22] | – Anyone but yourself? – Nope. | 除你之外的其他人 没有 |
[1:35:27] | – But you were sure. – Yes. | 但你很肯定? 是 |
[1:35:34] | I wish I could be like you. | 真希望,我也能像你这样 |
[1:35:38] | – Why? – Because I can’t sleep anymore. | 为什么? 因为我失眠了 |
[1:35:47] | Maybe we’re not supposed to sleep so well. | 我们背负了太多,本该如此 |
[1:35:54] | They made Father Flynn Pastor of Saint Jerome. | 上头让弗林神父… 当圣杰罗姆的本堂牧师 |
[1:35:59] | Who? | 谁? |
[1:36:02] | The Bishop appointed Father Flynn Pastor of Saint Jerome Church and School. | 弗林神父 主教指定弗林神父为… 圣杰罗姆教堂和初中的本堂牧师 |
[1:36:12] | It’s a promotion. | 他被提升了 |
[1:36:15] | You didn’t tell them? | 你没揭发这事 |
[1:36:17] | Oh, I told our good Monsignor. I crossed the garden and I told him. | 我去花园的时候遇到主教 告诉了他这件事 |
[1:36:25] | He did not believe it to be true. | 他不相信 |
[1:36:31] | Then why did Father Flynn go? What did you say to make him leave? | 弗林神父…为什么能被赶走… 你说了什么? |
[1:36:37] | That I had called a nun in his previous parish. | 我对他说,我和他在的上个教区的… 一个修女谈过 |
[1:36:42] | That I had found out his prior history of infringements. | 我发现他有前科 |
[1:36:52] | So you did prove it! | 你还是证明了 |
[1:36:58] | I made no such call. | 其实我并没有找什么修女 |
[1:37:04] | – You lied? – Yes. | 你骗他的? 是的 |
[1:37:09] | But if he’d had no such history, the lie wouldn’t have worked. | 他若没有前科,谎言不攻自破 |
[1:37:17] | His resignation was his confession. | 他主动辞职,实在是欲盖弥彰 |
[1:37:25] | He was what I thought he was. | 我想得没错,他就是那种人 |
[1:37:30] | And he’s gone. | 他还是走了 |
[1:37:36] | I can’t believe you lied. | 难以置信,你居然撒谎了 |
[1:37:44] | In the pursuit of wrongdoing, one steps away from God. | 每走错一步,就离上帝远一步 |
[1:37:54] | Of course there is a price. | 成功总要付出代价 |
[1:38:05] | I see. | 我知道 |
[1:38:15] | Oh, Sister James! | 哦,詹姆斯修女 |
[1:38:19] | What is it, Sister? | 怎么了,修女? |
[1:38:27] | I have doubts! | 我也曾有过忏悔… |
[1:38:36] | I have such doubts! | 也曾有过这样的忏悔啊 |