英文名称:Contact
年代:1997
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:57] | It’s obviously a major malfunction. | 显然是一次严重故障 |
[01:16] | – Their President is a crook. – Well, I’m not a crook. | – 他们的总统是一个骗子 – 呃 我不是骗子 |
[01:22] | Robert Kennedy was shot in that ballroom. | 罗伯特·肯尼迪在舞厅被枪杀 |
[01:28] | Thank God Almighty, we are free at last! | 感谢万能的主 我们终于自由了! |
[01:31] | A sniper has fired at President Kennedy. | 一名刺客向肯尼迪总统开枪 |
[01:41] | Or have you ever been a member of the Communist party? | 或 你是否曾经加入共产党? |
[01:49] | Hi-yo, Silver! | 嗨 伙计 银色马! |
[01:56] | – 1941 | –在一九四一年的 |
[01:58] | a date which will live in infamy. | 这耻辱的一天 |
[02:06] | We bring you the final edition of our Maxwell House Good News of 1939. | 现在我们播送一九三九年度最新麦氏咖啡好消息 |
[02:10] | Good evening, Mr.And Mrs.North America, and all the ships at sea. | 晚上好 北美大陆及所有远航中的女士们 先生们 |
[02:18] | The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. | 我们决不能屈服于恐惧 |
[03:32] | CQ CQ | |
[03:34] | this is W-9 GFO. | 这是W-9GFO |
[03:38] | CQ, this is W-9 GFO here. Come back? | CQ 这是W-9GFO 回话? |
[03:45] | CQ CQ | |
[03:47] | this is W-9 GFO here. | 这是W-9GFO |
[03:50] | Come back? | 回话? |
[03:55] | CQ, this is W-9 GFO. Is anybody out there? | CQ CQ 这是W-9GFO 有人吗? |
[04:00] | Not getting anything. | 什么都收不到 |
[04:02] | Small moves, Ellie. | 慢慢来 爱莉 |
[04:05] | Small moves. | 慢慢来 |
[04:09] | CQ, this is W-9 GFO here. Come back? | CQ 这是W-9GFO 回话 |
[04:14] | Copy, W-9 GFO. | 明白 W-9GFO |
[04:15] | K-4 WLD here. | 这是K-4WLD |
[04:18] | What do I say? | 我怎么说? |
[04:19] | Just be yourself. | 随便 |
[04:21] | Where are you, K-4 WLD? Come back? | 你在哪里 K-4WLD?回话 |
[04:24] | Pensacola. Over. | 彭萨科拉 完毕 |
[04:26] | Pensacola, where’s Pensacola? | 彭萨科拉?彭萨科拉在哪儿? |
[04:28] | I’ll give you a hint. | 我先提示你 |
[04:30] | Orange juice. | 橘子汁 |
[04:34] | Copy that, K-4 WLD. How’s the weather down there in Florida? | 明白 K-4WLD 佛罗里达的天气好吗? |
[04:39] | Pensacola, Florida. | 佛罗里达州的彭萨科拉 |
[04:41] | I have to tell you, Sparks. | 我得跟你说 火花儿 |
[04:44] | 1,116 miles. | 一千一百一十六英里呢 |
[04:48] | Pretty good. | 挺不错 |
[04:49] | That’s the farthest yet. | 眼下最远的地方 |
[05:04] | Can we hear all the way to New York? | 我们能听到纽约那么远吗? |
[05:06] | Sure. | 当然啦 |
[05:08] | Can we hear all the way to California? | 我们能听到加利福尼亚那么远吗? |
[05:11] | I don’t see why not. | 干吗不能呢? |
[05:13] | Can we hear all the way to Alaska? | 我们能听到阿拉斯加那么远吗? |
[05:15] | On a really clear day. | 天气很好就行 |
[05:17] | Can we hear all the way to China? | 我们能听到中国那么远吗? |
[05:20] | On a really, really clear day. | 那得要一个非常非常好的天气 |
[05:24] | Could we talk to the moon? | 我们能呼叫月亮吗? |
[05:27] | If it’s a big enough radio, I don’t see why not. | 如果有一部大电台 干吗不行呢? |
[05:31] | Could we talk to Jupiter? | 能呼叫木星吗? |
[05:33] | Or what’s the one after that? | 还有 那更外面一个是什么? |
[05:36] | Don’t tell me. | 别说 |
[05:39] | I’ll give you a hint. | 我给你个提示 |
[05:41] | Hula-Hoops. | 呼拉圈 |
[05:43] | Saturn! Could we talk to Saturn? | 是土星!我们能呼叫土星吗? |
[05:50] | Dad, could we talk to Mom? | 爸爸 我们能跟妈妈说话吗? |
[05:58] | I don’t think even the biggest radio could reach that far. | 恐怕最大的电台都够不着呢 |
[06:07] | All right, no more stalling. | 好了 别缠着我了 |
[06:14] | Pensacola! | 彭萨科拉! |
[06:23] | That’s a beauty. | 噢 爱莉 这可真漂亮! |
[06:26] | Now get some sleep. | 现在该睡觉了 |
[06:35] | Hey, Dad? | 哎 爸爸? |
[06:38] | Do you think there’s people on other planets? | 你觉得 其他的行星上面有人吗? |
[06:41] | I don’t know, Sparks. | 不知道 火花儿 |
[06:44] | But I guess I’d say | 可我觉得 |
[06:46] | if it is just us | 如果光有我们 |
[06:49] | it seems like an awful waste of space. | 好像太浪费地方了 |
[07:11] | CQ, this is W-9 GFO. | CQ 这是W-9GFO 回话 |
[07:14] | Repeat. This is W-9 GFO. Come back? | 重复 这是W-9GFO 回话? |
[07:24] | I’m going to need a bigger antenna. | 我需要一个更大的天线 |
[07:53] | What do you think, Doc Arroway? | 你看如何 阿洛维博士 |
[07:55] | Isn’t she a beauty? | 很漂亮吧? |
[08:01] | It’ll do. | 挺好 |
[08:02] | The village is five miles away. | 村庄离这里五英里 |
[08:04] | There’s a general store in the cantina. They can order anything from San Juan. | 酒店里面有家铺子 要什么只管找他们从圣·胡安订购 |
[08:09] | When can I get dish time? | 什么时候分给我天线时间? |
[08:11] | – Dr. Clark said you couldn’t wait. – Your first shift is tonight. | – 克拉克博士说过你等不得 今晚你开始值班 – 好啊 |
[09:11] | Go back. | 退回去 |
[09:14] | Try back a little bit. You had something there. | 呃 退回去一点 那儿有点什么 |
[09:18] | There! | 就那儿! |
[09:19] | – Right there? -You hear it? Right there, that’s it. | – 这里吗? -你听见吗? -是 就这儿 就是它 |
[09:22] | All right, 1221.46. That’s well within the L-band. | 好 1221.46 完全在L波段呢 |
[09:26] | Check off-axis. | 检查离轴 |
[09:28] | On it. | 正查呢 |
[09:31] | It’s not in the neighborhood. | 不在附近 |
[09:42] | Here it is. J-1741 | 啊 这是它了 目标J-1714 |
[09:46] | Catalogued November 4, 1982. Pulsar. | 记录于一九八二年十一月四日 脉冲星 |
[09:52] | Must’ve been the glitch in the timing’s what threw me. | 天晓得 也许是计时器的干扰把我搞糊涂了 |
[09:55] | Must’ve been a starquake. | 可能是星震吧 |
[09:58] | I think it’s great that you listen. Most don’t do that anymore. | 你这样很好 多数人都不这么做了 |
[10:02] | It’s just an old habit. It makes it feel more real. | 老习惯 你知道 感觉真实些 |
[10:05] | Ellie. | 爱莉 |
[10:06] | Kent Clark. | 肯特·克拉克 |
[10:10] | They said you’d been | 人家说你曾经 |
[10:12] | up at Owen’s Valley working under Drumlin. | 在欧文谷天文台跟德鲁姆林工作 |
[10:15] | How’d you like him? | 你觉得他这人如何? |
[10:19] | That much? About what I’d expect after what he had to say about you. | 就这些啊?难怪他跟我讲那些话了 |
[10:24] | And what was that? | 都讲些什么? |
[10:26] | That you are brilliant | 说你聪明 |
[10:28] | driven | 干劲十足 |
[10:29] | a major pain in the ass | 特别讨人嫌 |
[10:31] | and obsessed with a field of study he considers tantamount | 还不顾他的职业忠告 热衷于 |
[10:34] | to professional suicide. | 毫无前途的专业 |
[10:36] | Anything else? | 还有吗? |
[10:38] | Those were the highlights. | 那些是最出风头的 |
[10:40] | – Davio, Dr. Vernon. – Dr. Arroway. | – 达维奥·维尔农博士 你好 – 阿洛维博士 |
[10:44] | Believe you’ve already met our tireless research assistant, Mr. Fisher | 相信你已见过我们勤奋的助手费希尔先生 |
[10:49] | as well as his cologne. | 还有他的香水 |
[10:52] | Brook’s looking at the black hole in M-87. | 布鲁克在M-87寻找黑洞 |
[10:54] | Eli’s studying Markarian 541, a major gamma ray source. | 爱莉研究马卡良星系541 强伽马源 |
[10:58] | Dr. Arroway will be spending her precious telescope time listening for | 阿洛维博士将用她的望远镜时间找 |
[11:04] | listening for | 找 呃 |
[11:06] | Little green men. | 太空小绿人 |
[11:16] | One down | 排除一个 |
[11:17] | a couple billion to go. | 还剩几十亿 |
[11:36] | Arecibo, right? | 阿雷西博天文台 对吗? |
[11:39] | Does it show? | 这么明显啊? |
[11:42] | Cracker Jack? | 是的 喜欢饼干吗? |
[11:44] | No, thanks. | 不 谢谢 |
[11:45] | Mind if I sit down? | – 介意我坐下吗? -请随便 |
[11:48] | I hear the locals they call it “El Radar.” | 我听本地人管它叫做”雷达” |
[11:52] | Convinced it has some dark military purpose. | 都相信是军方的神秘项目 |
[11:55] | I think we’re harmless. | 我觉得我们不害人的吧 |
[11:58] | Palmer Joss. | 帕尔莫·乔斯 |
[12:00] | – Ellie Arroway. – Nice to meet you, Ellie. | -爱莉·阿洛维 -幸会了 爱莉 |
[12:03] | What are you studying up there? | 你 呃 你在研究什么? |
[12:08] | The usual. | 普通的 |
[12:10] | Nebulae, quasars, pulsars, stuff like that. | 星云 类星体 脉冲星 这一类事情 你在 |
[12:14] | What are you writing? | 你在写什么呢? |
[12:16] | The usual Nouns, adverbs | 一般的 名词 动词 |
[12:18] | adjective here and there. | 形容词 到处写 |
[12:21] | I work on a project, SETI. | 我做的是S.E.T.I.计划 |
[12:24] | Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence? | 地外文明搜索? |
[12:28] | That is out there! | 非比寻常哟! |
[12:31] | Are you a student or something? | 你是学生还是干什么的? |
[12:34] | I’m a writer. I’m writing a book. | 我是个作家 我在写一本书 |
[12:36] | I’m here doing research about how technology affects Third World cultures. | 我在研究技术是如何影响第三世界文化的 |
[12:41] | I’m also looking for this guy, David Drumlin. | 我同时还在找一个人:戴维·德鲁姆林 |
[12:44] | He’s head of the National Science Foundation. I want an interview. | 国家科学基金会的头头 我想采访他 |
[12:49] | I take it you know him? | 看得出来你认识他? |
[12:53] | You could say that. | 可以这么说 |
[12:55] | SETI. | S.E.T.I. 乖乖 |
[12:57] | That’s fringe! | 很前卫哟! |
[12:59] | I’ve crossed paths with him. Something like that must really chap his ass. | 我跟他打过交道 他肯定不耐烦那一类事情吧 |
[13:06] | Compass. | 指南针 |
[13:10] | That’s for you. | 送给你的 |
[13:16] | You better keep this. | 收好了 |
[13:18] | Might save your life someday. | 哪一天说不定救命呢 |
[13:25] | Have dinner with me tonight? | 一起吃晚饭好吗? |
[13:29] | I don’t make a good research subject. I’m not quotable. | 我可不值得研究 我的话无关紧要 |
[13:33] | No quotes. Scout’s honor. | 不是采访 不是采访 以童子军的名誉起誓 |
[13:36] | Good meal, good company. | 美味佳肴 互相作个伴儿 |
[13:38] | I’ve got to go. | 我得走了 |
[13:48] | Drumlin’s coming in Tuesday. | 不过 不过呢 星期二德鲁姆林要来 |
[13:59] | Now I remember why I took that desk job. | 总算想起来我为什么坐办公室了 |
[14:04] | Dr. Drumlin, how are you? | 德鲁姆林博士 你好 |
[14:08] | Glad you could make it. | 很高兴你能来 戴维 |
[14:10] | If I’d known it took 3 planes, I might’ve reconsidered. | 早知道得转三次飞机 我可能就改主意了 |
[14:13] | How is that new office? | 新办公室怎么样? |
[14:15] | Still settling in. They already want to give half my budget to the Pentagon. | 还在适应 人家已经盘算着把我的预算分一半给五角大楼 |
[14:20] | Still waiting for E.T. To call? | 爱莉 还在等外星人的电话哪? |
[14:25] | Good to see you too! | 一样很高兴见到你! |
[14:27] | Asshole! | 混帐东西! |
[14:28] | Looks like it’s going to be a long night. | 这个晚上可不好熬哟 |
[14:31] | Science must be accountable to the people paying for it, the taxpayers. | 科学嘛 也要向我们的纳税人东家负责 |
[14:35] | We must stop wasting money on pie-in-the-sky abstractions | 我们不能再把资金浪费于天上掉馅饼的空想 |
[14:39] | and spend it on practical, measurable ways | 花钱要讲求实际 得到实效 |
[14:42] | to improve the lives of the people who are paying. | 要让出钱的人看到生活水平的提高 |
[14:45] | Not unlike my L-band, globular clusters work. | 而不是我那种L波段和球状星团的工作 |
[14:48] | You want to do away with all pure research now? | 你是说 你要砍掉所有的基础研究? |
[14:51] | What’s wrong with science being practical? Even profitable? | 科学讲求实际有什么不对吗?赚点钱不更好? |
[14:55] | Nothing, as long as your motive | 没什么不对 只要你的动机 |
[14:57] | is the search for truth. Which is what the pursuit of science is. | 是寻求真理 这也正是科学的本来目的 |
[15:04] | That’s an interesting position from a man | 话从这一号人嘴里说出来真有意思 |
[15:07] | on a crusade against the evils of technology | 比如这位敢于挑战技术的邪恶的 |
[15:09] | Father Joss. | 乔斯神父 |
[15:11] | I’m not against technology, Doctor. I’m against | 我不反对技术 博士 我只是反对 |
[15:15] | the men who deify it at the expense of human truth. | 那些罔顾真理而崇拜技术的人 |
[15:22] | Kent, I need to have a word with you. Over here, please. | 肯特 我有话跟你说 请过来 |
[15:31] | You think that hurt my chances with that interview? | 看来我的采访要砸锅了 是不是? |
[15:35] | You’re a priest? | 你是个牧师? |
[15:38] | Not really. | 不完全是 |
[15:40] | I got my Masters in Divinity | 我得过神学硕士 |
[15:43] | then left the seminary to do secular humanitarian work | 后来就离开神学院从事世俗的人道主义工作 |
[15:47] | coordinating Third World churches. | 帮助第三世界的教会 |
[15:50] | I couldn’t live with the celibacy thing. | 我过不了独身生活 |
[15:57] | You could call me a man of the cloth | 你可以 呃 你可以称我为一个僧侣 |
[16:00] | without the cloth. | 但从不披袈裟 |
[16:05] | You want to get out of here? | 想开溜吗? |
[16:09] | You see that large W-shaped constellation there? That’s Cassiopeia. | 看见那个W形状的星座了?那是仙后座 |
[16:14] | And Cassiopeia A gives off a whole lot of radio signals. | 仙后座A星放出相当多的射电信号 |
[16:19] | I listen to them a lot. | 我一直在听着它们呢 |
[16:21] | It’s a remnant of a supernova. | 它是一颗超新星的残骸 |
[16:24] | When did you know you wanted to be an astronomer? | 你什么时候开始想当天文学家的? |
[16:29] | When I was about eight years old | 大概八岁 |
[16:31] | watching the sunset, I asked Dad “What’s that bright star over there?” | 看日落的时候 我问爸爸:”那颗亮星星是什么?” |
[16:40] | He said that it wasn’t a star. It was | 他说 那其实不是恒星 它是 |
[16:45] | a whole planet called Venus | 一个行星 叫金星 |
[16:51] | which should be over there soon. | 很快就能看得见了 在 那边升起来 |
[16:55] | He said, “You know why they called it Venus? | 他说 “你知道为什么叫金星吗? |
[16:58] | Because they thought it was so beautiful and glowing. | 因为他们认为它那么美丽 闪闪发光 |
[17:01] | But they didn’t know | 但他们不知道 |
[17:04] | that it’s filled with | 那上面全是 |
[17:08] | deadly gases and sulfuric acid rain.” | 毒气和硫酸雨 “ |
[17:12] | Wow, I thought, “This is it! I’m hooked!” | 哇 我想啊 “就是这个 我要学!” |
[17:18] | There are four hundred billion stars out there | 那里有四千亿颗恒星 |
[17:22] | just in our galaxy alone. | 这还只是在我们的银河系里 |
[17:25] | If only one out of a million of those had planets | 只要百万分之一的恒星具有行星 |
[17:29] | if just one out of a million of those had life | 只要其中百万分之一具有生命 |
[17:32] | and if just one out of a million of those had intelligent life | 再只要其中百万分之一具有智慧生命 |
[17:37] | there would be literally millions of civilizations out there | 那就有一百万个文明世界 |
[17:44] | If there wasn’t | 如果没有的话 |
[17:46] | it’d be an awful waste of space. | 那就太浪费地方啦 |
[17:54] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[18:04] | So I was lying there, just looking at the sky. | 就这样 我躺在那里 凝望天空 |
[18:12] | And then I felt something. I don’t know. | 然后我感觉到什么 不晓得 |
[18:17] | All I know is that I wasn’t alone. | 总之 我知道不再孤独 |
[18:20] | For the first time in my life I wasn’t scared of nothing | 生平第一次 我无所畏惧 |
[18:25] | not even dying. | 死都不怕 |
[18:32] | It was God. | 那就是上帝 |
[18:36] | And there’s no chance that | 难道不可能 |
[18:39] | you had this experience because some part of you needed to have it? | 这个体验来自你的某个部分的需要? |
[18:44] | I’m a reasonably intelligent guy, but this | 我是个理智的人 只是这一次 |
[18:51] | My intellect couldn’t even touch this. | 我的智力显得如此渺小 |
[18:55] | No. | 不是的 |
[18:58] | I’ve been to Sunday school a few times. | 我上过几次主日学校 |
[19:03] | And? | 接着说 |
[19:04] | I kept asking all these really annoying questions like | 我 我总是问那些讨厌的问题 比如 |
[19:10] | “Where did Mrs. Cain come from?” | “凯恩夫人打哪儿来的?” |
[19:14] | And pretty soon they asked my dad | 不久 他们告诉爸爸 |
[19:17] | if he wouldn’t mind keeping me home from now on. | 方便的话 就此把我锁在家里 |
[19:20] | Your dad | 你爸爸 |
[19:23] | Is it this guy? | 就是他喽? |
[19:25] | Yeah. | 对 |
[19:28] | You’re close to him, aren’t you? | 你们很亲近 是不是? |
[19:31] | I was. He died when I was nine years old. | 是的 我九岁上他就死啦 |
[19:37] | I never got to know my mother. | 我从来不知道母亲什么样 |
[19:40] | I’m sorry. | 真令人难过 |
[19:46] | That’s got to be tough. | – 不容易吧 – 是 |
[19:52] | Being alone. | 一个人过日子 |
[20:03] | What do you say | 你看这样如何 |
[20:04] | we pack a picnic tomorrow and hike up to Mount Arecibo? | 明天我们上阿雷西博山野炊? |
[20:09] | I don’t think I can. I’ve got to work. | 怕不行 我得工作 |
[20:14] | How about dinner tomorrow night? I know a great dive. | 明晚一起吃饭吧?我认得一家名馆子 |
[20:17] | No, I don’t think so. | 不 不行 |
[20:24] | Ellie, did I miss something? | 爱莉 我弄错了吗? |
[20:28] | No. | 噢没有 |
[20:29] | Shit, I’m late! | 混蛋 要迟到了! |
[20:32] | I told Kent that I’d be there at 10:30. | 我跟肯特说过十点半到的 |
[20:38] | I’m not trying to push you. | 我并不是逼你 |
[20:40] | I’ve wanted to look at this sector for weeks. | 不 不是那样的 只是我等这个区域好几周了 |
[20:42] | Just hang out | 等在这儿 |
[20:44] | and sleep in. There’s food in the fridge. | 接着睡 冰箱里有一大堆吃的 |
[20:49] | How can I reach you? | 我怎么找你? |
[20:51] | Just leave your number. I’ll call you. | 留下号码 我打电话给你 |
[21:16] | Dad! | 爸爸! |
[21:19] | It’s starting, you’re going to miss it! | 开始啦 你要错过的! |
[21:25] | Dad, there’s another one! Hurry up! | 爸爸 又一颗!快啊! |
[21:27] | In a minute, Sparks! I’m almost done. | 等等 火花儿!我这就得了 |
[21:30] | There’s another one. Come on, hurry up, Dad! | 又有一颗 快点 爸爸! |
[22:28] | I’ll get the medicine. | 我这就拿药去 |
[23:49] | I know it’s hard to understand this now | 我了解这对你来说难于理解 |
[23:52] | but we aren’t always meant to know why things happen the way they do. | 但是我们并非总能够理解一切事情的来由 |
[23:57] | Sometimes, we just have to accept it | 很多时候 我们只能如此接受它 |
[24:00] | as God’s will. | 就当作上帝的意志 |
[24:04] | I should have kept medicine in the downstairs bathroom. | 我该在楼下的盥洗室里存些药 |
[24:08] | Then I could’ve gotten to it sooner. | 就能快点拿到了 |
[24:36] | CQ CQ | |
[24:38] | this is W-9 GFO. Do you copy? | 这是W-9GFO 收到吗? |
[24:45] | Dad, this is Ellie. Come back. | 爸爸 这是爱莉 回话 |
[24:50] | This is Eleanor Arroway | 这是伊琳娜·阿洛维 |
[24:53] | transmitting on 14.2 megahertz. | 发射频率十四点二兆赫 |
[25:02] | Are you there? | 你在吗? |
[25:06] | Come back. | 回话 |
[25:14] | Are you there? | 回话 |
[25:17] | Dad, this is Ellie. | 爸爸 这是爱莉 |
[25:51] | – Hi, Kent. – What are you doing up so early? | – 爱莉 – 嗨 肯特 一大早干什么来了? |
[25:55] | I was thinking | 我在想 |
[25:57] | we’d make a pretty good team. | 咱们是一支不错的队伍 |
[26:00] | We could put together an ad hoc SETI program. | 咱们可以搞一个特别S.E.T.I.计划 |
[26:04] | You know the Very Large Array in New Mexico? | 你知道新墨西哥的甚大天线阵吧? |
[26:06] | It’s a dynamite place to do SETI work | 用来做S.E.T.I.特棒 |
[26:09] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么哪? |
[26:13] | Drumlin pulled the plug. | 德鲁姆林拆台了 |
[26:16] | We’re homeless. | 我们得滚蛋了 |
[26:31] | It’s true, you pulled the plug? | 真的吗 是你拆台的吗?是你吗? |
[26:33] | You can’t see it now, but I’m doing you a favor. | 现在你不明白的 可我是为你好 |
[26:35] | You’re too promising a scientist to waste your gifts on this nonsense. | 你这样有前途的科学家不能在蠢事上浪费天才 |
[26:40] | I don’t consider what could be | 我可不认为 |
[26:42] | the most important human discovery nonsense! | 人类可能的最重大发现是愚蠢! |
[26:45] | 400 billion stars | 四千亿颗星星– |
[26:47] | And two probabilities. One, there’s intelligent life | 却只有两种可能 第一 存在智慧生命 |
[26:50] | but too far away to contact in your lifetime. | 但是太远了 你一辈子都找不到 |
[26:53] | – And two! – You’re making a decision | – 第二! – 你所作的决定 |
[26:55] | There’s nothing but gases and carbon compounds and you’re wasting your time! | 除了气体和碳化物什么都没有 你在浪费时间! |
[27:00] | In the meantime, you won’t be taken seriously. | 同时 你没有文章发表 大家不会看重你 |
[27:03] | Your career will be over! | 你的职业生涯就此完蛋! |
[27:05] | So what? | 那又怎么样? |
[27:06] | It’s my life! | 这是我的生活! |
[27:46] | Hey, Kent. You were right. | 哎 肯特 你说得对 |
[27:48] | Screw Drumlin. We’ll raise the money ourselves. We’ll go to New Mexico. | 去他的德鲁姆林 我们自己找钱 我们去新墨西哥 |
[27:52] | Chicago’s set. Let me know how it goes. | 芝加哥的事妥了 事情完了告诉我 |
[27:55] | I’ve got more corporate stops on the East Coast for you. | 我还为你在东海岸联络了更多的企业 |
[27:58] | Did that investor from Houston ever get back to us? | 哎 费希尔 休斯敦的投资人回你话了吗? |
[28:01] | I’ll hit him up on my way to L.A. | 我会去洛杉矶追上他的 |
[28:04] | Beg for some of that Hollywood money! | 找好莱坞讨点钱! |
[28:06] | They’ve been making money off aliens for years. | 他们赚外星人的钱好几年了 |
[28:10] | – Begging is good for the soul. – We’ll see. | – 要学会积德行善 – 走着瞧吧 |
[28:13] | Just do me a favor. | 帮帮忙 |
[28:15] | Try not to be too confrontational. | 别太 顶撞人 |
[28:18] | Confrontational? Me? What do you mean? | 顶撞?我吗?什么意思? |
[28:20] | I’ll see if I left anything. | 我瞧瞧忘了什么没 |
[28:55] | It’s a unique time in our history, in the history of any civilization. | 这是具有特殊历史意义的时刻 对任何文明这都是独特的 |
[28:59] | It’s the moment of the acquisition of technology. | 这是获得技术的时刻 |
[29:02] | That’s the moment where contact becomes possible. | 此刻接触将成为可能 |
[29:06] | The Very Large Array in New Mexico | 新墨西哥的甚大天线阵 |
[29:08] | is the key to our chances for success. | 是我们成功机会的关键 |
[29:11] | With its 27 linked radio telescopes | 用这二十七台互联的射电望远镜 |
[29:13] | we can search more accurately than at any other facility. | 我们就能够比其他任何机构都更准确地搜索 |
[29:17] | We’ve gotten approval to buy the telescope time from the government. | 我们已先期得到政府批准 可以购买望远镜使用时间 |
[29:22] | Now all we really need is the money. | 现在我们需要的只是资金 |
[29:25] | A nice presentation, Doctor. | 讲演很好 博士 |
[29:28] | But while our foundation arm has a mandate to support | 不过 由于我们基金分部的准则是支持 |
[29:31] | experimental programs, your proposal | 实验计划 必须坦白地说 您的提议 |
[29:34] | seems less like science, and more like science fiction. | 好像不那么科学 更像是科学幻想 |
[29:41] | Science fiction. | 科学幻想 |
[29:46] | You’re right. | 你说对了 |
[29:48] | It’s crazy. | 这是发疯 |
[29:51] | In fact, it’s even worse than that: Nuts! | 实际上比那更糟 简直是狗屁! |
[29:55] | Want to hear something nutty? | 想听听真正狗屁的事情吗? |
[29:57] | Two guys wanted to build a thing called an airplane. | 有两个家伙想造一个东西叫飞机 |
[30:00] | People go in it and fly like birds. Ridiculous, right? | 人坐进去学鸟飞 荒唐 对吗? |
[30:03] | What about breaking the sound barrier | 突破音障又怎么样 |
[30:05] | or rockets to the moon, or atomic energy or a mission to Mars? | 还有登月火箭 还有原子能 还有飞向火星? |
[30:09] | Science fiction, right? | 科学幻想 对吗? |
[30:12] | All I’m asking is for you to just have the tiniest bit of vision. | 我所恳求你们的 无非是有那么一点点想象力 |
[30:17] | To step back and look at the big picture. | 退后一点 视野更宽阔 |
[30:20] | Take a chance on something which could end up the most impactful moment | 冒一次险 这终究会是最强大冲击力 |
[30:26] | for humanity, for the history | 对于人类 对于历史 |
[30:29] | of history. | 成为历史 |
[30:34] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[30:36] | I just spent 13 months | 我已经花了十三个月 |
[30:38] | coming into rooms and talking to people like you. | 到这样的地方与你们这样的人谈话 |
[30:42] | You’re my last chance. | 你们是我最后的机会 |
[30:45] | Sorry I wasted your time. | 抱歉浪费了你们的时间 |
[30:46] | Doctor. | 博士 |
[30:48] | Yes, sir. | 好的 阁下 |
[31:01] | You have your money. | 您拿到钱了 |
[31:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[31:09] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[31:58] | Perfect cast! Come on, fishy! | 抛得好钩!咬啊 小鱼! |
[32:01] | Frank, look at the size | 弗兰克 瞧这狗娘养的 |
[32:03] | of that son-of-a-bitch! | 瞧这狗娘养的个头儿! |
[32:17] | Welcome back, Dr. C. | 欢迎归来 瞎博士 |
[32:19] | How’d it go? | 怎么样啊? |
[32:22] | How was the trip? | 旅行如何? |
[32:23] | I’ve had better. | 凑合 |
[32:25] | Drumlin! Is this a personal vendetta now? | 又是德鲁姆林!这是报私仇吗? |
[32:29] | There’s been enormous pressure from other scientists as well. | 不完全是 来自其他科学家的压力也很大 |
[32:33] | It doesn’t matter. Hadden’s funding us for 2 more years. | 没关系 哈登会再资助我们两年的 |
[32:36] | The government doesn’t want their telescopes used by the high priestess | 政府可不希望把望远镜继续交给 |
[32:41] | of the desert anymore. | 沙漠巫婆 |
[32:44] | What? | 什么? |
[32:45] | Staring at TV static for hours, listening to washing machines. | 说你总是几个钟头盯着静电图像听着洗衣机噪音 |
[32:49] | These stories get out! | 这些事情给捅出去了! |
[32:51] | I was seeking patterns in the chaos! | 我在寻找混沌模式! |
[32:53] | It doesn’t matter, we’re a joke to them. | 没用的 人家看笑话呢 |
[32:55] | They want us out! | 他们要赶我们走! |
[32:58] | We’ve got 3 months till the paperwork goes through. | 还有三个月文件就下达 |
[33:05] | I’ll start looking for other funding. | 我这就去找其他的经费 |
[33:08] | Could you face reality? Just this once? We lost. | 正视现实行吗?就这一次?我们输了 |
[33:12] | It’s over. | 结束了 |
[33:20] | Fine. | 成啊 |
[33:22] | I’m not stopping. | 我不会停的 |
[33:24] | If I have to, I’ll go it alone. I’ve done it before. | 有必要我就单干 这我以前干过 |
[34:17] | My guest tonight is author and theologian Palmer Joss. | 今晚我的嘉宾是作家兼神学家帕尔莫·乔斯 |
[34:21] | He’s become a spiritual counselor, and a recent fixture at the White House. | 他已成为一位心灵顾问 近来更是白宫的常客 |
[34:26] | “God’s Diplomat,” according to The New York Times. | “上帝的使节” 纽约时报这么评论他 |
[34:29] | His latest book, “Losing Faith,” is currently number one | 他的新书《失落信念》现居该报评出的 |
[34:33] | on that publication’s bestseller list. | 畅销书榜首 |
[34:36] | Thanks for being here. You’ve had quite a ride | 感谢光临 您的经历很不寻常 |
[34:39] | the last few years. | 尤其是近几年 |
[34:41] | Yeah, I sure have, Larry. | 是啊 的确是那样 拉里 |
[34:43] | Fish, I was thinking. | 老费 我在想 |
[34:46] | Who would make the best astronomers? Think about it. | 谁会成为最好的天文学家?想想 |
[34:50] | Who has the perfect synthesis of career and lifestyle? | 谁有事业与生活的完美结合? |
[34:56] | I give. | 我认输 |
[34:58] | Vampires! | 吸血鬼! |
[34:59] | Are you anti-technology and anti-science? | 您是否反技术 反科学呢? |
[35:02] | No, not at all. | 不 根本不是 |
[35:04] | The question that I’m asking is this: | 我所询问的是一直这样: |
[35:08] | Are we happier | 我们更幸福吗? |
[35:10] | as a human race? Is the world fundamentally a better place | 就整个人类而言 现实世界是否根本好转 |
[35:14] | because of science and technology? | 由于科学技术的功劳? |
[35:16] | We shop at home, we surf the Web | 我们在家购物 我们泡网 |
[35:19] | but at the same time we feel emptier | 但与此同时 我们觉得更空虚 |
[35:22] | and more cut off from each other than at any other time in human history. | 并且比历史上任何时期更感到相互隔膜 |
[35:27] | We’re becoming a synthesized society | 我们正在成为一个综合社会 |
[35:30] | in a hurry to get to the | 而且迫不及待地 |
[35:47] | We’re looking for the meaning. | 我们在寻求着意义 |
[35:49] | What is the meaning? | 那是什么意义呢? |
[35:50] | We have mindless jobs, take frantic vacations. | 我们工作无聊 度假狂野 |
[35:53] | Deficit finance trips to the mall to buy things | 借钱到商场抢购 |
[35:56] | that we think will fill these holes in our lives. | 自以为能够填补生活的空洞 |
[36:00] | Any wonder we’ve lost our sense of direction? | 我们失去方向感又有什么奇怪呢? |
[36:44] | Holy shit! | 真他妈的! |
[37:04] | Right ascension | 赤经 |
[37:05] | 18 hours, 36 minutes, 56.2 seconds! | 十八度三十六分五十六点二秒! |
[37:10] | Declination | 赤纬 |
[37:12] | + 36 degrees, 46 minutes | 正三十六度四十六分 |
[37:15] | 56.2 seconds! | 五十六点二秒! |
[37:20] | Confirm! | 要求核实! |
[37:22] | Right ascension, 18 hours, 36 minutes | 赤经十八度三十六分 |
[37:25] | 56.2 seconds! | 五十六点二秒! |
[37:28] | Is anybody awake in there? I’m moving the array! | 有人醒着吗?我要你们移动天线阵 |
[37:31] | – Confirm! | –要求确认! |
[37:33] | Boss has a bogey! | 头儿钓到大鱼啦! |
[37:35] | Right ascension, 18 hours | 赤经十八度 |
[37:41] | We’re on it! | 我们干上了! |
[37:43] | 36 hours | 三十六度 |
[37:44] | 47 minutes and 1 second! | 四十七分一秒! |
[37:47] | Strong possible | 极其可能的 |
[37:48] | pulse chain on sub-array four! | 脉冲信道现于四号子台阵 |
[37:51] | I’m moving the rest. Confirm coordinates! | 我要求调动其他的子台阵 要求确认坐标! |
[37:54] | Check the status of the array. | 核对当前阵列状态 |
[37:56] | She’s doing all the dishes. | 她要用全部天线呢 |
[37:58] | Systems nominal. | 系统全部标定 |
[38:05] | Hello. | 哈罗 |
[38:07] | Full systems check! | 我需要核对所有系统! |
[38:09] | Coordinates confirmed. Willie’s checking the system. | 坐标已确认 威利正在检查系统 |
[38:12] | Stay on top of the systems diagnostics! | 密切注意系统分析 |
[38:15] | Check reference point offsets. | 核对参考点偏移量 |
[38:17] | And I want you off-axis on 27 the second we get there! | 我要求你一旦完成核对立刻用二十七号天线获得离轴 |
[38:21] | And tell Willie to break out the big boy! | 跟威利说拿出大号音箱! |
[38:26] | Copy that. | 明白 |
[38:28] | Yeah! Go, Ellie! | 好的!接着说 爱莉! |
[38:30] | I hear it on the headphones. We got to be sure about this. | 我在耳机里听到的 我们得核实 |
[38:33] | Give me another array status. | 再次报告当前阵列状态 |
[38:37] | Her four are online, the rest are tracking in. | 她的那四个已经对准 其他正在跟进 |
[38:43] | But there’s a bad drive on 16. | 除了十六号动力失灵 |
[38:46] | The four are online, the rest are tracking in. | 四个对准 其余正跟进 |
[38:48] | There’s a bad drive on 16. Copy that? | 十六号动力失灵 收到吗? |
[38:53] | What shall I do about the source queue? | 信源序列怎么办? |
[38:55] | Forget it and hold the queue. | 暂时放弃 仅保存序列 |
[38:57] | Get ready to set the target frequency to manual the second we’re aligned. | 准备好一旦校准立即设目标频率为手控 |
[39:01] | Do you copy? I want you to go off-axis on 27 the second we’re there! | 收到吗?我要你完成校正之后马上用二十七号天线取得离轴 |
[39:06] | And leave the LO frequency where it is! | 维持本机振荡频率不变! |
[39:09] | Don’t let it get away! If you lose it, scan the band! | 别放跑了!万一丢失 扫描该波段! |
[39:12] | Run every frequency you can think of. | 扫描所有可能频率 |
[39:20] | How you doing? | 怎么样? |
[39:26] | Talk to me, guys. | 说话 伙计们 |
[39:28] | Partially polarized moving pulses, amplitude modulated. | 偏极化行脉冲 振幅经调制 |
[39:32] | We’re locked. Systems are fine. What’s the frequency? | 已锁定 系统正常 全部收到信号 频率是多少? |
[39:35] | 4.46 | 四点四六 |
[39:37] | 23 gigahertz. | 二十三千兆赫 |
[39:40] | Hydrogen times pi. | 氢原子基频乘以π |
[39:42] | Told you! | 早说过! |
[39:43] | Strong sucker too! | 还特别强! |
[39:46] | I got it! I’m patched in! | 听见了!听见了!听见了!我接通了! |
[39:48] | Let me hear. | 让我听听 |
[39:55] | Listen to that. | 听听这个 |
[39:59] | Make me a liar, Fish. | 揭穿我 老费 |
[40:01] | It could be AWACS out of Kirkland jamming us. | 可能是科克兰的预警机传来的干扰吧 |
[40:04] | But I doubt it. | 不过我不信 |
[40:06] | See if F.U.D.D.’s reading it too. | 看看跟踪单元探测器的读数如何 |
[40:10] | Patch it back and give me the off-axis. | 威利 接回去 给我离轴 |
[40:13] | – We recording? – Never stopped. | – 在记录吗? – 从没停下 |
[40:16] | Thank you, Elmer! | 谢谢 埃尔莫! |
[40:18] | AWACS status is negative. | 预警机干扰:无 |
[40:20] | White Sands? | 白沙基地呢? |
[40:21] | On this frequency? No. | 这个频率?没门 |
[40:23] | I’ll punch up the darks. | 我要问问那些侦察卫星 |
[40:28] | How’s spying tonight? | 你们今晚如何?伙计们 |
[40:30] | Come on! | 快点!赶紧 |
[40:34] | NORAD’s not tracking any snoops in this vector. | 这个方向上NORAD没有找到任何间谍卫星 |
[40:36] | Shuttle’s in sleep mode. | “奋进号”也还在睡觉哪 |
[40:38] | Okay, point source confirmed. | OK 点信号源确认 |
[40:41] | Whatever it is, it ain’t local. | 无论如何 不是地源的 |
[40:42] | Position? | 方位? |
[40:43] | I checked interferometry. Somewhere in Lyra. | 查过干涉仪 天琴座附近 |
[40:46] | – Vega? – Can’t be! | – 织女星? – 不可能啊! |
[40:48] | It’s only 26 light years away. | 那只有二十六光年 |
[40:50] | – Peak intensity? – Coming up! | – 峰值强度? – 这就来 |
[40:53] | Vega. | 织女星 |
[40:55] | Vega. I scanned it a bunch of times at Arecibo. It was always negative. | 织女星 在阿雷西博的时候我就扫过好多次 从没结果 从来没有啊 |
[40:59] | Got it! | 有啦! |
[41:00] | Reading over 100 janskys. | 超过一百央 |
[41:03] | Jesus! I can pick it up on my | 天哪!我都能用 |
[41:08] | No! | 不! |
[41:42] | Come on! | 稳住! |
[41:46] | It’s restarting. | 好了好了 又开始了! |
[41:48] | Wait a minute. Those are numbers. | 慢着慢着 这是数字 |
[41:50] | That was 3, before it was 2. | 那是三 之前是二 |
[41:54] | Base 10 numbers. Count and see how far we get. | 十进制 咱们这就开始跟着计数 |
[41:57] | One. | 一个 |
[42:04] | Seven. | 七 |
[42:08] | Those are primes. | 那都是质数 |
[42:10] | 2, 3, 5, 7 are all prime numbers. | 二 三 五 七 全都是质数 |
[42:14] | No way that’s a natural phenomenon! | 这绝不可能是自然现象! |
[42:16] | Let’s just calm down and pull up the star file on Vega. | 冷静下来 把织女星的有关资料找出来 |
[42:20] | It doesn’t make any sense. The system is too young. | 没道理嘛 这个星系太年轻了 |
[42:24] | It can’t have a planetary system | 它不可能具备行星系 |
[42:25] | let alone life or a technological civilization. | 更不用说生命或者技术文明 |
[42:29] | Maybe they’re not from there, they’re visiting. | 也许他们本不是那里的 也许只是路过 |
[42:32] | Spacecraft? This system’s full of debris. It’d get clobbered. | 飞船?这个星系到处是碎石 会给砸得稀烂的 |
[42:35] | Not if they used their laser blasters and photon torpedoes. | 只要他们用激光炮和光子鱼雷不就得啦 |
[42:40] | – That’s not funny. – How else can we explain it! | – 别开玩笑啊!威利 – 那又该怎么讲嘛! |
[42:43] | He’s right. If we go public with this and we’re wrong | 威利说得对 要是我们公布之后发现错了 |
[42:46] | it’s over. We’re cooked. | 就全完了 我们就完蛋了 |
[42:51] | I wish Kent was here. | 肯特在这儿就好了 |
[42:53] | Whatever it is, let’s do something. Vega will set. | 不管信号是什么 我们得干点活 织女星要落下去了 |
[43:00] | Position confirmed. We’ve got 4.4623 gigahertz, confirmed. | 方位已确认 我们得到的是四点四六二三千兆赫 已确认 |
[43:04] | We’ve got 112 janskys. | 一百一十二央 |
[43:07] | Do you have a source location yet? | 信号源定位呢? |
[43:12] | We put it right smack in the middle. | 我看得明明白白 |
[43:15] | Vega. | 织女星 |
[43:19] | Thanks. Keep tracking and we’ll get back to you. | OK 谢谢 伊安 继续跟踪 我们再联络 |
[43:22] | Right-o. | 好的 |
[43:34] | 101. The pulse sequenced | OK 一百零一 脉冲序列是 |
[43:36] | through every prime number between 2 and 101. | 从二到一百零一间的全部质数 |
[43:42] | Who do we call now? | 现在我们找谁呢? |
[43:47] | Everybody. | 所有人 |
[43:55] | The rumors are flying, the implications extraordinary. | 谣言四起 预示着极不寻常的事 |
[43:59] | Detection of an unidentified | 探测到一个未经说明的 |
[44:01] | radio source from space can neither be confirmed nor denied. | 外太空射电源 此事官方既不证实也不否认 |
[44:06] | But the military arriving | 军方正在前往 |
[44:08] | Sources close to the VLA report they have been contacted | 接近甚大天线阵的消息来源说他们曾与 |
[44:12] | by some form of intelligent being | 某种形式的文明生命联络 |
[44:14] | living outside our solar system. Again, there is no confirmation. | 来自太阳系之外 再次声明 此事尚未证实 |
[44:21] | I want all of these people out of here. | 我要求所有这些人都离开这里 |
[44:24] | Where’s the girl? | 那姑娘呢? |
[44:30] | 22 stations worldwide | 全世界二十二个观测站 |
[44:32] | now confirm the signal. | 均证实该信号 |
[44:33] | Vega’s now below our horizon. | 织女星现在地平线以下 |
[44:35] | You’re hearing the signal from the Russian | 你们正听到的信号来自俄国– |
[44:38] | Get decryption people here. | 找解密人员来 |
[44:40] | Lunacharsky’s visiting at Cal Tech. | 鲁纳卡尔斯基正在加州理工访问 |
[44:42] | Explain this to me. | 向我解释此事 |
[44:44] | If the source of the signal is so sophisticated why the remedial math? | 既然信号源如此复杂 为什么却用扫盲班算术? |
[44:48] | Why not just speak English? | 为什么不干脆说英语? |
[44:49] | Maybe because 70% of the planet speaks other languages. | 也许因为这颗行星上百分之七十的人讲其他语言 |
[44:53] | Mathematics is the only truly universal language. | 数学是唯一真正通用语言 |
[44:57] | It’s no coincidence that they’re using primes. | 他们使用质数也不是出于偶然 |
[44:59] | I don’t get it. | 我不懂 |
[45:01] | Prime numbers. | 质数 |
[45:02] | Integers only divisible by themselves and 1. | 只能被自身和一整除的整数 |
[45:08] | We think this may be a beacon, an announcement | 呃 我们认为这也许是一种导航讯号 一个公告 |
[45:12] | to get our attention. | 提醒我们注意 |
[45:13] | If it’s attention you want, you got that. One thing: Vega. | 如果为了提醒你 你对了 不过只有一样:织女星 |
[45:17] | People have looked at Vega for years, with no results. | 多年以来人们都在盯着织女星 毫无结果 |
[45:21] | Yesterday they start broadcasting primes. Why? | 昨天他们开始广播质数了 为什么呢? |
[45:24] | It’s hardly yesterday. | 并不是昨天 |
[45:26] | The signal’s been transmitting for 26 years. | 信号已经传播了二十六年 |
[45:30] | Excuse me, who are you? | 对不起 您是谁? |
[45:31] | Michael Kitz, National Security Advisor. | 麦克尔·克茨 国家安全顾问 |
[45:34] | Your reputation | 您的声望– |
[45:36] | First, ask the gentlemen with the guns to wait outside. | 首先 带家伙的先生们请到外面伺候 |
[45:40] | This is a civilian facility. | 这里本来是民用设施 |
[45:48] | With all due respect | 恕我无礼– |
[45:50] | Excuse me. | 失陪了 |
[45:52] | Hi! I’m so glad you’re back! | 嗨!真高兴你回来! |
[45:55] | Come hear this. | 来听听这个 |
[45:57] | Is this great? | 太振奋了 |
[45:58] | – Who are all these people? – I have no idea. | – 这都是些什么人? – 天晓得 |
[46:01] | Sit down. We need help with the spectrum analysis. | 坐下 我们需要帮忙分析频谱 |
[46:04] | – I’ll get on it. – Headsets. | – 我这就干 – 耳机 |
[46:06] | I’ll just come right to the point. | 开门见山吧 |
[46:09] | Announcing this all over the world may well be a breach of national security. | 向全世界公布此事大大危害国家安全 |
[46:13] | It’s not a person-to-person call. | 它又不是私人电话 |
[46:15] | You think a civilization sending this message intends it just for Americans? | 你以为一个文明会仅为了美国人发送这消息吗? |
[46:19] | You might have consulted us. | 我只是认为您或许应向我们请示 |
[46:21] | – The contents could be very sensitive. – You want to classify prime numbers? | – 内容可能非常敏感 – 你想把质数也保密啊? |
[46:26] | Due to earth’s rotation, we’re in line with Vega only hours a day. | 由于地球自转 每天我们仅能观察织女星数小时 |
[46:29] | The only way to monitor the signal is to cooperate with other stations. | 监测信号唯一的办法是与其他观测站合作 |
[46:34] | If Dr. Arroway hadn’t acted quickly, we’d have lost key elements. | 如果不是阿洛维博士行动迅速 我们可能丢失关键数据的 |
[46:39] | Fine, they’ve got the primes. | 好吧 他们已经拿到质数了嘛 |
[46:40] | But if a more significant transmission is to come | 可是如果收到更重要的讯号– |
[46:43] | We need help to receive and decode. | 我们需要人帮忙接受和解码 |
[46:45] | You understand that my job is to protect | 您明白我的工作是保护 |
[46:49] | – Listen. – I hear it. | – 嘘!听着 – 听见了 |
[46:52] | Hear what? | 听到什么了? |
[46:53] | Harmonic. | 谐振波 |
[46:54] | Bingo! I had Willie ask Rattan to retune to 8.9247 gigahertz. | 对喽!我让威利请拉坦托天文台调谐至八点九二四七千兆赫 |
[46:58] | There’s a lot more here. | 这里信号可太多了 |
[47:00] | – Get on the negative sideband. – I’m already on it. | – 监测负边带 – 已经开始 |
[47:03] | What is it? | 那是什么? |
[47:04] | Another signal! | 又一个信号! |
[47:06] | A second signal at double the frequency. Looks like | 倍频处有第二个信号 看上去像 |
[47:09] | Get a TV monitor! | 拿电视机来! |
[47:11] | Patch it into the image processor. | 接到图像处理器上 |
[47:13] | Want the new data? | 接新数据是吧? |
[47:15] | Yeah, the new one we just recorded. | 是了 我们刚录制的那个 |
[47:17] | David, explain this to me, please. | 戴维 请向我解释一下吧 |
[47:19] | There’s another signal. Looks like a TV transmission. | 伴随质数的又一个信号 看上去像电视图像 |
[47:22] | We’re hot. | 一切就绪 |
[47:23] | Go get the blinds. There is a lot of glare. | 放下帘子 这儿太晃眼了 |
[47:27] | You’re patched in. | 已经接通了 |
[47:29] | It’s definitely an image. Let’s try and stabilize it. | 这肯定是一幅图像 设法稳定 |
[47:37] | What do you make of that? | 你推测那是什么 |
[47:39] | It’s two different interlaced frames. I’m framing one. | 这是交错的两幅帧 我校准其中之一 |
[47:45] | – It’s just noise. – Trying frame two. | – 噪音吧 – 试另一帧 |
[47:49] | I’ve got an offset carrier. I think it’s audio. | 得到偏移载波 我想是音频吧 |
[47:53] | Plug it in! | 插上! |
[47:58] | Center that segment. | 这段居中 |
[48:00] | Centering. | 向正中调整 |
[48:05] | Can you clean it up? | 能清晰一点吗? |
[48:07] | I’m working on it. | 正这么做呢 |
[48:21] | What the hell? | 见什么鬼 ? |
[48:23] | Try zooming out. | 拉远一点试试 |
[48:29] | Freeze! | 停! |
[48:30] | Reverse values. | 试反相色 |
[48:33] | Try zooming out again. | 再拉远一点 |
[48:38] | Rotate 90 degrees counterclock | 顺时针转九十度 |
[48:42] | My God! | 上帝! |
[48:50] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[48:52] | You’re not going to believe this. | 你不会相信的 |
[49:08] | Does anybody speak German? | 有谁讲德语? |
[49:11] | “I declare the Games in Berlin | 呃 “我宣布 在柏林举行的运动会 |
[49:15] | at the celebration | 暨庆祝 |
[49:17] | of the first Olympics of the New Era | 新时代的第一届奥林匹克运动会 |
[49:20] | as opened.” | 开幕” |
[49:32] | Get me the White House. | 给我接白宫 |
[49:34] | 20 million people died defeating the bastard | 牺牲两千万人才打垮那个杂种 |
[49:37] | and he’s our first ambassador to outer space? | 他却是我们的第一位外太空大使? |
[49:40] | The broadcast of the ’36 Olympics was the first TV transmission | 三六年奥运会的广播是第一次 |
[49:44] | that went into space. | 被送到太空的电视讯号 |
[49:45] | Sending it back is a way of saying, “Hello, we heard you.” | 被记录并发回来 无非是说 “喂 我们听到了 “ |
[49:49] | Or, ” Sieg Heil, you’re our kind of people.” | 或者说 “Sieg Heil 我们同为高贵种族 “ |
[49:51] | Hitler’s politics have nothing to do with this. | 希特勒的政治与此无关 |
[49:54] | It’s unlikely they understood it. People must understand | 他们不大可能看明白的 人们要明白– |
[49:58] | The people are in very good hands, Doctor. | 人民自有精明强干者保护 博士 |
[50:01] | We’ll take it from here. | 我们就此接管 |
[50:03] | Smile, folks. We’re on. | 大伙儿笑一笑 我们出场了 |
[50:06] | A message of unknown origin from deep space | 神秘深空传来的消息 |
[50:08] | was received by American scientists. Now to the White House. | 已由美国科学家接到 现在转播白宫实况 |
[50:12] | We’re told the President will have only a few remarks | 丹娜 我们已被告知 总统将极为简短地 |
[50:16] | about today’s extraordinary events | 评论今天的非常事件 |
[50:17] | and that he won’t be taking any questions from the press. | 并且不接受记者提问 |
[50:26] | Good afternoon. | 午安 |
[50:30] | I’m glad to be joined by my | 我高兴地介绍同时出席的 |
[50:32] | Science and Technology Advisor. | 我的科技顾问 |
[50:36] | This is the product of years of exploration | 这是最杰出的世界级科学家们 |
[50:39] | by some of the world’s most distinguished scientists. | 多年探索的成果 |
[50:42] | Like all discoveries | 如同所有的发现 |
[50:44] | this one will continue to be reviewed | 这一次的同样会接受评议 |
[50:47] | examined | 审查 |
[50:48] | and scrutinized. | 及核实 |
[50:50] | It must be confirmed by other scientists. | 它必须得到其他科学家的证实 |
[50:53] | But clearly | 然而明确的是 |
[50:55] | the fact that this is being explored is a vindication | 调查中的事实显示出 |
[50:59] | Fish, what is the story over here? I thought Ellie was supposed to be on. | 老费 那是干吗呢?我以为爱莉该上镜的 |
[51:03] | I don’t know. | 不晓得 |
[51:05] | Guys? | 呃 伙计们 |
[51:09] | Those interlaced frames we thought were noise? | 记得我们认为的噪音帧吗? |
[51:13] | This has structure. I’m hearing structure. | 那是结构化的 我听出来了 |
[51:17] | If this discovery is confirmed | 如果本发现被确认 |
[51:19] | it will be one of the most stunning insights into our universe | 那将是科学迄今所揭示出我们宇宙的 |
[51:23] | that science has ever uncovered. | 最令人震撼的内涵 |
[51:26] | Its implications are as far-reaching | 它的寓意将是极其深远的 |
[51:28] | and awe-inspiring as can be imagined. | 和鼓舞人心的 |
[51:31] | Even as it promises answers to some of our oldest questions | 虽然它回答了自古已有一些问题 |
[51:35] | it poses still others | 同时却提出了 |
[51:36] | even more fundamental. | 更进一步的基本问题 |
[51:38] | We will continue to listen closely | 我们将继续专注地聆听 |
[51:40] | to what it has to say | 它的发言 |
[51:42] | as we continue the search for answers | 正如我们将继续寻求答案 |
[51:44] | and for knowledge | 寻求知识 |
[51:46] | that is as old as humanity itself | 这是人类过去一直所做的 |
[51:48] | but essential to our people’s future. | 且将继续主导我们的未来 |
[51:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[51:53] | Is there a renewed assessment of security threat? | 请问是否打算重新评价安全威胁? |
[51:56] | I’ll answer your questions after a few corrections. | 我先更正几点再回答你们的问题 |
[51:59] | The message was received Friday | 该消息于上周五收到 |
[52:01] | at 6:31 a.m. Mountain Standard Time. | 时间是山区标准时上午六点三十一分 |
[52:03] | It was largely mathematical | 基本以数学语言 |
[52:05] | and in spite of reports to the contrary | 与此前的报道不同 |
[52:08] | appears to be completely benign in nature. | 它表面上完全是善意的 |
[52:11] | Let me say that again. The message is completely benign. | 我重申 该消息绝无敌意 |
[52:15] | The President has contacted the world’s heads of state | 总统已与各国领导人沟通 |
[52:18] | and every security measure is being taken. | 并已采取一切可能的防范措施 |
[52:21] | To better explain the events of the last 48 hours | 为了更好地介绍过去四十八小时发生的事件 |
[52:24] | is the leader of the scientific team that made this remarkable discovery | 特请领导此次重大科学发现的 |
[52:29] | Dr. David Drumlin, special Science Advisor to the President. | 德鲁姆林博士 总统特别科技顾问 |
[52:41] | Thank you, Rachel. | 谢谢 雷切尔 |
[52:43] | Hello. | 大家好 |
[52:46] | In 1936 a very faint television signal | 一九三六年 人们曾以微弱的电视讯号 |
[52:49] | transmitted the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games as a show | 转播了奥运会开幕式 |
[52:53] | of German superior technology. | 以显示德国的卓越技术 |
[52:57] | That signal left Earth at the speed of light and 26 years later | 该讯号以光速离开地球 二十六年后 |
[53:01] | arrived in the vicinity of the star we call Vega. | 到达我们所称的织女星附近 |
[53:06] | That signal has been sent back to us hugely amplified | 该讯号经高度放大之后回传给我们 |
[53:10] | an unmistakable sign of intelligence. | 无可争议的智慧标志 |
[53:13] | Kent, go ahead. | 我已联机 肯特 说吧 |
[53:14] | The Adolf transmission used 25 frames per second but we’re receiving 50. | 那个阿道夫录像片用的是每秒二十五帧 可我们收到的是五十帧 |
[53:19] | So we put the other 25 through search algorithms. | 我们就在另外二十五帧应用了各种搜索算法 |
[53:23] | We found a series of markers on the top of each frame. | 结果每一帧的顶部都发现有系列标记 |
[53:26] | – Are you ready? – Yeah, go ahead! | – 准备好了吗? – 是 继续! |
[53:28] | Send it, Willie. | 传过去 威利 |
[53:29] | Here it comes. | 好 接着 |
[53:34] | It’s digital | 它是数字化的 |
[53:35] | massive amounts of data which extend right to the higher harmonics. | 大批数据 延伸到更高倍频 |
[53:40] | Jackpot! | 中奖喽! |
[53:43] | All right, as you’ll see | 好 正如各位所见到 |
[53:45] | interlaced with the frames of the original Hitler image | 与原希特勒图像交错的帧 |
[53:49] | we found these sections. | 我们就发现了这些段落 |
[53:52] | We thought they were noise, but they’re actually data | 原以为是噪音 其实是数据 |
[53:55] | huge amounts of it. | 极为庞大的数据 |
[53:57] | When we combine this with the data from the original signal | 与取自原来信号的数据综合 |
[54:01] | we get these encrypted pages of text. | 我们得到这些加密的文本 |
[54:05] | No two are alike and we’ve uncovered over 10,000 already. | 每一页互不相同 已找出超过一万页 |
[54:09] | What does it mean, Doctor? | 那是什么意思呢 博士? |
[54:12] | We have no idea. It could be anything. | 不知道 什么都可能 |
[54:15] | Volume 1 of an Encyclopedia Galactica. | 也许是《银河百科全书》第一卷 |
[54:17] | Instructions for us on their colonization procedures. | 他们殖民步骤的说明 |
[54:20] | Moses with a few billion new commandments. | 摩西几十亿诫 |
[54:23] | How long will it take to decode it? | 解码要用多久? |
[54:25] | It could take forever. We really need a primer | 可能根本解不开 我们需要密钥 |
[54:29] | We need to get the best decryption people we have. | 我们需要最好的解密专家 |
[54:32] | I intend to use the VLA as my command post. | 我计划使用甚大天线阵作为总指挥部 |
[54:37] | In the meantime, my office has made out a preliminary budget. | 与此同时 我的部门已拟就初步预算 |
[54:40] | Wait a minute. | 等一等 |
[54:42] | This is a privately-funded operation. | 这是私人赞助项目 |
[54:44] | We lease dish time from the government | 我们从政府租借到天线时间 |
[54:47] | This is a clear-cut case of eminent domain. | 博士 我认为在此国家利益高于一切 |
[54:50] | I’m recommending to the President we militarize this project. | 我将向总统建议此项目立即实现军事化 |
[54:53] | What?! This is my project! | 什么?!这是我的项目! |
[54:56] | Nobody knows more about this than I do. David, tell them | 谁都不比我知道得多 戴维 跟他们说 |
[54:59] | Excuse me! Could we calm down here? | 对不起!能否请诸位冷静? |
[55:02] | I’m going to recommend that Dr. Drumlin coordinate the decryption effort. | 我建议德鲁姆林博士协调解码工作 |
[55:07] | But in light of Dr. Arroway’s long experience in these matters | 而鉴于阿洛维博士这方面的长期经验 |
[55:11] | for the time being, she will direct operations at the VLA | 目前 暂由她负责甚大天线阵的工作 |
[55:15] | understanding that future discoveries will be kept in strict confidence | 同时您必须保证未来一切发现将严格保密 |
[55:20] | until such time as the President | 以待总统 |
[55:23] | can decide the most suitable course of action. Understood? | 决定最合适的行动 清楚了? |
[55:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[55:28] | This is CNN Breaking News. | CNN现在报道突发新闻 |
[55:31] | The President called the message from Vega | 总统称来自织女星的消息是 |
[55:34] | ” a stunning insight into our universe” | “令人震惊的宇宙内幕” |
[55:36] | Attendance at religious services has risen a dramatic 39% in recent days. | 几天来 宗教活动的参加人数大大地上升了百分之三十九 |
[55:41] | as police clashed with neo-Nazi protesters. | 同时警方与新纳粹示威者发生冲突 |
[55:45] | So, there’s life on other planets. | 好啊 原来其他行星上还有的生命 |
[55:48] | Boy, this will really change the Miss Universe contest. | 乖乖 这可真要改变”宇宙小姐”的竞选喽 是不是? |
[55:52] | Health officials worldwide are concerned that the message from Vega | 各国卫生官员担心织女星消息 |
[55:56] | might trigger a rash of mass suicides | 可能促发集体自杀 |
[55:59] | not unlike recent cult deaths near San Diego | 与近期圣地亚哥邪教死亡事件未必不同 |
[56:02] | Even a scientist must admit | 即使科学家也必须承认 |
[56:04] | there are some pretty serious religious overtones to all this. | 它具有相当大的宗教寓意 |
[56:09] | Here’s someone whose organization | 让我们来听听来自某人 |
[56:11] | is accused of conducting its own inquisition: | 人们指出他的机构在近几天私下进行研究 |
[56:14] | Richard Rank, head of the Conservative Coalition. | 理查德·兰克 保守联盟领导人 |
[56:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[56:18] | This is yet another example of science intruding into matters of faith. | 这是迄今又一实例 科学正在侵犯人们的信仰 |
[56:24] | This means they have been reacting to TV signals | 这就是说 他们一直在看电视 |
[56:27] | from the 1930’s. They’re just getting them. | 从三十年代就开始了 只不过刚才受到节目讯号 |
[56:30] | Imagine how disappointed they’ll be if they’re Cubs fans. | 如果他们是小牛队球迷该有多失望 |
[56:34] | We now go to Jeremy Roth, who is reporting | 我们现在转到杰里米·罗斯 他从 |
[56:37] | from the Very Large Array near Socorro, New Mexico. | 位于新墨西哥索克罗附近的甚大天线阵报道 |
[56:41] | Like a bolt from the blue it came. | 好比是晴天霹雳 |
[56:43] | “The Message from Vega” has caused | “织女星消息”已经使得 |
[56:45] | thousands of believers and non-believers | 成千上万教徒和非教徒 |
[56:48] | to descend upon the VLA facility here in the desert of New Mexico. | 集合到新墨西哥沙漠里这个甚大天线阵来 |
[56:51] | Many have come to protest, many to pray | 很多人来示威 也有很多人来祈祷 |
[56:54] | but most have come to participate in what’s become the best show in town. | 而大多数人是来 来凑热闹的 |
[57:05] | Well, I saw the thing coming out of the sky | 啊 我见它来自天外 |
[57:07] | It had one long horn and one big eye | 独角长长 怪眼大大 |
[57:11] | I commenced to shaking and said Oo-ee | 我浑身发抖只会哦哦咦咦 |
[57:14] | Looks like a Purple People Eater to me | 好像来者专吃紫人 |
[58:08] | Hail to Vega Hail to Vega | 欢呼织女 欢呼织女 |
[58:16] | But they have failed! | 科学家们有过机会 但是他们失败了 |
[58:18] | It’s the same people who, again and again | 正是这样的人 一次又一次地 |
[58:21] | have brought us to the brink of destruction! | 把我们带到灭绝的边缘! |
[58:23] | Who’ve polluted our air, who’ve poisoned our water! | 污染了空气 污染了水! |
[58:28] | Now these scientists | 而今 这些科学家们 |
[58:31] | have had their chance. | 又找到机会了 |
[58:34] | Are these the kind of people | 是否这些人就是 |
[58:37] | that you want talking to your God for you? | 为你们向上帝申述的呢? |
[58:45] | Efforts continue around the clock. | 工作昼夜不停 |
[58:47] | But for now, almost 2 full weeks after the message’s arrival | 然而 消息收到几乎两个星期以来 |
[58:51] | scientists here at the VLA still have no answers | 甚大天线阵的科学家们仍然没有答案 |
[58:54] | only more questions. | 只有更多的问题 |
[58:56] | Jeremy Roth, CNN, Socorro, New Mexico. | CNN的杰里米·罗斯从新墨西哥索克罗报道 |
[59:00] | More on the quest for the message’s meaning, after this. | 稍后将报道更多寻求消息明确含义的工作 |
[59:06] | They have to line up somehow. | 它们总得排列起来才对 |
[59:08] | This one doesn’t fit, either. | 这样也对不上 |
[59:10] | We’ve tried over a million permutations. | 试过上百万排列 |
[59:13] | Always, I can only get three corners to fit. | 只能够拼上这三个角 |
[59:17] | I don’t understand their significance. | 我不懂这是什么意义 |
[1:00:03] | Somebody broke in | 有人闯进 |
[1:00:11] | Hello? | 喂? |
[1:00:13] | Whoever you are, you broke into the database | 听着 我不管你是谁 你闯进数据库 |
[1:00:19] | What? Now? | 什么?现在吗? |
[1:00:23] | Where? | 什么地方? |
[1:00:36] | I’ll be there. | 我会到的 |
[1:01:06] | You should feel fortunate. | 您应该觉得幸运 |
[1:01:08] | He hardly lands for anyone. | 他很少降落 |
[1:01:42] | Dr. Arroway. | 阿洛维博士 |
[1:01:47] | I presume? | 恕我冒昧 |
[1:01:50] | Mr. Hadden. | 哈登先生 |
[1:01:52] | I’ve had my eye on you a long time, Doctor. | 我注意你很久了 博士 |
[1:01:56] | I consider you one of my most valuable long-term investments. | 我把你看作最有价值的长线投资 |
[1:02:02] | And when it comes to my investments | 事关投资之时 |
[1:02:06] | I always do my homework. | 我一向要做研究的 |
[1:02:13] | Eleanor Ann Arroway | 艾琳娜·安·阿洛维 |
[1:02:15] | born 25th August, 1964 | 生于一九六四年八月二十五日 |
[1:02:18] | De Pere, Wisconsin. | 威斯康星州 德皮埃尔市 |
[1:02:20] | Mother, Joanna, died from complications during childbirth. | 母亲乔安娜 死于产后综合症 |
[1:02:25] | Early testing indicated high predisposition | 早期测验显示 |
[1:02:28] | towards science and mathematics. | 理科及数学的极高天赋 |
[1:02:31] | Father, Theodore | 父亲 西奥多 |
[1:02:33] | advised to provide enrichment activities in these areas | 接受建议 有意着重这些方面的培养 |
[1:02:36] | did so conscientiously until his death | 直至去世 |
[1:02:39] | from myocardial infarction, November 10, 1974. | 他死于心肌梗塞 时间:一九七四年十一月十日 |
[1:02:45] | You graduated from high school in 1979 | 你在一九七九年高中毕业 |
[1:02:48] | almost two full years early. | 几乎提前两年 |
[1:02:52] | Awarded full scholarship, M.I. T | 获得麻省理工学院全额奖学金 |
[1:02:54] | graduated magna cum laude. | 并以优异成绩毕业 |
[1:02:57] | Doctoral work, Cal Tech | 在加州理工学院攻读博士 |
[1:02:59] | where you worked on the lanthanide-doped ruby maser | 研究镧掺杂红宝石量子放大器 |
[1:03:02] | dramatically increasing the sensitivity of radio telescopes. | 极大提高了射电望远镜的灵敏度 |
[1:03:07] | Subsequently offered a teaching position at Harvard University | 随后得到哈佛大学的教职 |
[1:03:11] | which you turned down to pursue SETI work | 你谢绝之后来到波多黎各的阿雷西博天文台 |
[1:03:14] | at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico. | 从事S.E.T.I.工作 |
[1:03:20] | Changes in N.S.F. Policy | 由于国家科学基金会的政策改变 |
[1:03:23] | gave rise to certain funding problems | 导致一定的经费问题 |
[1:03:27] | at which point | 就在此时 |
[1:03:29] | you came to my attention. | 你引起我的注意 |
[1:03:33] | You compromised our security codes. | 你违反了我们的安全条例 |
[1:03:37] | Once upon a time | 从前哪 |
[1:03:41] | I was a hell of an engineer. | 我是个了不起的工程师 |
[1:03:43] | Please, sit, Doctor. | 请坐 博士 |
[1:03:46] | I have guests so rarely, it’s important they feel welcome in my home. | 我很少待客 请你务必随意 |
[1:03:52] | You live here? | 你住在这儿? |
[1:03:55] | I find it convenient to keep my interests | 方便罢了 为的是保持兴趣 |
[1:03:59] | mobile. | 多变 |
[1:04:03] | Anyway, I’ve had my fill of life on the ground. | 总之 地面上的日子我已经过够了 |
[1:04:09] | I guess I should | 我猜 |
[1:04:11] | I guess I should thank you for having bailed me out all that time. | 我猜我应该感谢你多次解我燃眉之急 |
[1:04:20] | I know a good bet when I see one. | 我下注一贯正确 |
[1:04:25] | Earl Grey. No sugar, no milk, I believe. | 伯爵红茶 不加糖和牛奶 我没猜错吧 |
[1:04:31] | What am I doing here? | 我来这里究竟做什么? |
[1:04:43] | The powers that be have been very busy lately | 权贵们日益繁忙 |
[1:04:47] | positioning themselves | 抢占有利位置 |
[1:04:49] | for the game of the millennium. | 以参加千禧年的竞技 |
[1:04:59] | Maybe I can help deal you back in. | 也许我能帮你重返比赛 |
[1:05:03] | I didn’t realize that I was out. | 我并没有觉得被淘汰了 |
[1:05:05] | No. Maybe not out | 不 也许尚未被淘汰 |
[1:05:08] | but certainly being handed your hat. | 却一定得到明示要开路了 |
[1:05:16] | I’ve had a long time to make enemies, Doctor. | 长期以来我树敌太多 博士 |
[1:05:23] | There are many governments | 许多政府 |
[1:05:25] | business interests | 商界 |
[1:05:27] | even religious leaders that would like to see me depart this earth. | 甚至宗教领导人期盼我归西 |
[1:05:33] | And I’ll grant them their wish soon enough. | 很快 我就满足他们的愿望 |
[1:05:36] | But before I do, I wish to make a small contribution. | 在那以前 我还有一个小小的贡献 |
[1:05:40] | A final gesture of goodwill to the people of this planet who have given | 这最后一次良好祝愿是为了这个星球的人们 他们曾经给与 |
[1:05:48] | from whom I have taken so much. | 从他们那里我攫取甚多 |
[1:05:54] | You found the primer. | 你找到了密钥 |
[1:05:58] | Clever girl! | 聪明姑娘! |
[1:06:00] | Lights. | 关灯 |
[1:06:09] | Pages and pages of data. | 一页又一页的数据 |
[1:06:13] | Over 63,000 in all. | 一共超过六万三千页 |
[1:06:16] | And on the perimeter of each | 每一页的外沿 |
[1:06:18] | Alignment symbols, registration marks, but they don’t line up. | 匹配符号 定位标记 可无法排列 |
[1:06:23] | They do | 能排列的 |
[1:06:24] | if you think like a Vegan. | 要像织女星人那样思维 |
[1:06:27] | An alien intelligence has got be more advanced | 一个更为先进的外星文明 |
[1:06:30] | and that means efficiency functioning on multiple levels | 标志着高效的运行 不只是多层次的 |
[1:06:34] | and in multiple | 而且是 |
[1:06:36] | dimensions. | 多维度的 |
[1:06:42] | Yes, of course! | 是了 当然了! |
[1:06:44] | Where’s the primer? | 密钥呢? |
[1:06:46] | You’ll see. | 就会看到的 |
[1:06:48] | Every three-dimensional page contains a piece of the primer. | 每个三维页面含有密钥的一部分 |
[1:06:55] | There it was all the time, staring you in the face. | 它一直在那里 就在你的面前 |
[1:06:59] | Buried within the message itself is the key to decoding it. | 信息本身就隐含了解密钥 |
[1:07:03] | Within the layering of the matrix, we have these basic equations: | 在间架层次之间 我们得到如下基本方程式: |
[1:07:09] | So with this very elementary foundation, they have given us a kind of | 依靠这些基础 他们给与我们一种 |
[1:07:13] | general scientific vocabulary. | 通用科学词汇表 |
[1:07:15] | We now have the symbols for true and false | 这样我们就得到表示”是””否”的符号 |
[1:07:18] | This was the key | 这就是关键 |
[1:07:19] | that allowed us to decipher their language | 使得我们能够破译他们的语言 |
[1:07:22] | for physics, geometry, chemistry. Next frame, Ellie. | 包括物理 几何与化学 下一幅 爱莉 |
[1:07:27] | Yes, and when we apply this to the rest of the message | 是的 我们同样地处理余下信息 |
[1:07:32] | we find this. | 我们找到这个 |
[1:07:37] | Those look like engineering schematics, almost like blueprints. | 那看上去是工程图表 简直就是蓝图 |
[1:07:42] | Yes. | 正是如此 |
[1:07:44] | It is our belief that the message contains instructions | 我们相信 该消息包含的说明是 |
[1:07:47] | for building something, some kind of machine. | 用来建造某个东西 某种机器 |
[1:07:51] | A machine? That does what, Doctor? | 机器?干什么用的 博士? |
[1:07:54] | We don’t know. It might be some type | 我们不知道 也许是某种 |
[1:07:57] | of advanced communication device, or a teaching machine of some kind. | 高级通讯设备 或者一种教学仪器 |
[1:08:03] | Or it might be | 或者是 |
[1:08:05] | some kind of a transport. | 某种交通工具 |
[1:08:07] | – Transport? – There’s no proof of that. | – 交通工具? – 尚无证据 |
[1:08:10] | The fact is you don’t know what it does. It could be anything. | 其实 您不知道那是什么 那就什么都又可能 |
[1:08:14] | A Trojan Horse. We build it and out pours the entire Vegan army. | 木马 建成以后冲出织女星大军 |
[1:08:17] | Why risk the personnel? It could be a weapon. | 为什么冒人员损失的风险?可能是一件武器 |
[1:08:20] | Right. Some kind of a Doomsday Machine. | 对了 某种末日机器 |
[1:08:22] | Every time they detect a new civilization | 每次他们探测到一个新的文明 |
[1:08:25] | they fax construction plans from space. | 就从太空传真图纸 |
[1:08:28] | We poor saps build this thing and blow ourselves to kingdom come. | 我们这些土包子制造出来 然后把自己炸回极乐世界 |
[1:08:31] | There’s no reason to believe their intentions are hostile. | 毫无理由相信这些具有敌意嘛 |
[1:08:35] | Why is it the egghead position that aliens are always benign? | 为什么总迂腐地认为外星人是坏蛋呢? |
[1:08:40] | We pose no threat to them. | 我们对他们不构成威胁 |
[1:08:42] | It’d be like us going out of our way | 好比我们兴师动众去东非 |
[1:08:44] | to destroy microbes on an anthill. | 消灭蚂蚁山上的微生物 |
[1:08:46] | Interesting analogy. | 有趣的类比 |
[1:08:48] | How guilty would we feel if we destroyed a few microbes on an anthill? | 而我们果真消灭蚂蚁山上的几个微生物 你会觉得内疚吗? |
[1:08:53] | I hope you’re right. | 我希望你是正确的 |
[1:08:54] | I really do. | 真的 |
[1:08:55] | But my job is to protect American lives from any threat | 但是 我有责任消除美国人民的任何威胁 |
[1:08:59] | so I am obligated to assume the worst. | 因此我必定要做最坏的打算 |
[1:09:01] | Yes, and I am forced to agree with you. | 是的 我不能不同意 |
[1:09:04] | My problem is this: | 我的问题是这样: |
[1:09:06] | The content of that message is morally ambiguous at best. | 该消息的内容在道德上最大程度也是模糊的 |
[1:09:09] | Our internal numbers show support for this is incredibly soft. | 我们内部研究结果显示此事的支持力相当软弱 |
[1:09:13] | If the President stays this course | 假如总统继续如此 |
[1:09:16] | his numbers will be going south like ducks in winter. | 他的支持率就会跌到令人绝望 |
[1:09:19] | This is nuts! | 真是荒唐! |
[1:09:20] | Excuse me | 请原谅 |
[1:09:22] | Miss. | 小姐 |
[1:09:23] | We know nothing of these creatures’ values. | 我们根本不了解这些生物的价值观 |
[1:09:26] | We don’t even know whether they believe in God. | 我们甚至不知道他们是否信仰上帝 |
[1:09:29] | This doesn’t make any sense. If | 胡说八道 如果 |
[1:09:31] | Excuse me, Dr. Arroway. | 请原谅 阿洛维博士 |
[1:09:33] | We won’t be suppressing any opinions here today. | 我们今天在此不会压制任何意见 |
[1:09:36] | No, of course not. I understand. | 不 当然不了 我明白 |
[1:09:39] | What I meant to say | 我本来是说 |
[1:09:41] | is the message was written in the language of science. | 该消息是用科学语言写成的 |
[1:09:45] | If it was religious in nature, it should have taken the form | 如果它本身具有宗教性 那就应该采取必要的形式 |
[1:09:48] | of a burning bush or a voice from the sky. | 燃烧的山林或者天空的声音 |
[1:09:51] | But a voice from the sky | 然而 天空之声 |
[1:09:54] | is exactly what you found, Doctor Arroway. | 正是你所找到的 阿洛维博士 |
[1:10:01] | I’m sorry I’m late, ma’am. | 抱歉迟到了 夫人 |
[1:10:04] | I agree with Mr. Rank that there are unavoidable | 我同意兰克先生 不可避免地 |
[1:10:08] | religious implications at stake. | 宗教寓意是需要权衡的 |
[1:10:10] | But that doesn’t justify being an alarmist. | 但不意味着必须杞人忧天 |
[1:10:15] | I hope that we can find a common ground | 我希望我们能找到一个共同立场 |
[1:10:18] | break through obstacles that may have kept us apart. | 打破相互间的隔阂 |
[1:10:22] | Listen, I need to make one thing very clear. | 听着 我需要特别声明一点 |
[1:10:24] | Our organization will not be placated with flowery New Age rhetoric | 我们决不会坐视这种奢靡的新时代的喧嚣而不理 |
[1:10:30] | Mr. President! | 总统先生! |
[1:10:33] | The President met with top advisors | 总统会晤了他的高级顾问 |
[1:10:35] | regarding the latest efforts to decode the message. | 讨论消息解码的最新结果 |
[1:10:39] | While there has been some progress, the official line remains cautious. | 取得进展的同时 政府立场依旧谨慎 |
[1:10:44] | If you’re asking when we’ll find out | 如果您问什么时候我们 |
[1:10:46] | what the purpose of that Machine is | 将发现机器的真实目的 |
[1:10:49] | maybe tomorrow, maybe next year, maybe never. | 也许明天 也许明年 也许永远不会 |
[1:10:56] | There he is. The man with his finger on the nation’s spiritual pulse. | 瞧啊 掌握民族心灵脉搏的人 |
[1:11:02] | It’s so good to see you. | 见到你太好了 |
[1:11:04] | You too. | 也高兴见到你 |
[1:11:07] | Your discovery, all of this. It must be a real vindication. | 你的发现 包括一切 肯定是一个见证 |
[1:11:12] | I’m really happy for you. | 我真为你高兴 |
[1:11:14] | Are you? | 是吗? |
[1:11:15] | Mr. Joss, the President’s waiting. | 乔斯先生 总统在等您 |
[1:11:21] | The President’s waiting. | 总统等着哪 |
[1:11:26] | See you at the reception? | 爱莉 那么招待会再见了? |
[1:11:29] | Yeah, I wouldn’t miss it. | – 是啊 我不会错过的 – 太好了 |
[1:11:42] | Miss Constantine, may I speak to you? | 康斯坦丝小姐 能同您说句话吗? |
[1:11:45] | Certainly. | 当然可以 |
[1:11:48] | I have a big problem. | 我有个大麻烦 |
[1:11:52] | Do you know where I can find a really great dress? | 您知道上哪儿能买到漂亮衣服吗? |
[1:12:14] | God created man in the form of Himself, not in the form of monkeys! | 上帝依他的形象而造人 决不是猴子的模样! |
[1:12:27] | Get a job! Don’t waste my tax dollars! | 人人务正业!不许浪费税钱! |
[1:12:56] | You look beautiful, Ellie. | 你很漂亮啊 爱莉 |
[1:12:59] | – So do you. – You really do. | – 你也很帅 – 我说的是大实话 |
[1:13:05] | I read your book. | 我读过你的书 |
[1:13:08] | Here we go. | 又来了 |
[1:13:09] | You want me to quote you? | 想不想听听? |
[1:13:12] | “Ironically | “滑稽的是 |
[1:13:13] | the thing people are most hungry for | 人们真正渴求的– |
[1:13:15] | – meaning | –我想想– |
[1:13:17] | – is the one thing science hasn’t been able to give them.” | –是科学一直无法提供的 “ |
[1:13:20] | Yeah. | 哦 |
[1:13:24] | It’s like you’re saying that | 你听上去就像是 |
[1:13:26] | science killed God. | 科学弑神 |
[1:13:29] | What if science simply revealed | 要是科学揭示出 |
[1:13:32] | that He never existed in the first place? | 上帝根本就不存在怎么办? |
[1:13:38] | I think we need to get some air. | 我们到外面去吧 |
[1:13:41] | And a few more of these. | 再来几杯 |
[1:13:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:13:48] | A little chilly out here. | 外面可有点冷 |
[1:13:50] | Yeah, this is nice. | 啊 多美啊 |
[1:13:51] | I got one for you. | 我想到一个绝的 |
[1:13:53] | Occam’s Razor. Ever heard of it? | 奥卡姆剃刀 听说过吧 |
[1:13:55] | Hoccam’s Razor. Sounds like some slasher movie. | 霍卡姆刀片 听起来像恐怖片 |
[1:13:57] | No, Occam’s Razor is a basic scientific principle which says: | 不是 奥卡姆剃刀是一个基本科学原则 |
[1:14:01] | Things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be right. | 同等情况下 最简单的解释更为正确 |
[1:14:05] | Makes sense to me. | 有道理 |
[1:14:07] | So what’s more likely? | 那么哪一个更有道理呢? |
[1:14:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:14:10] | An all-powerful God created the universe | 全能的上帝创造宇宙 |
[1:14:13] | then decided not to give any proof of His existence? | 而不提供他存在的证据? |
[1:14:16] | Or | 或者 |
[1:14:17] | that He doesn’t exist at all and that we created Him | 根本没有神 是我们创造了神 |
[1:14:21] | so we wouldn’t feel so small and alone. | 这样我们才不觉得渺小和孤独 |
[1:14:24] | I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[1:14:25] | I couldn’t imagine living in a world where God didn’t exist. | 无法设想 没有神的世界我该怎么生活 |
[1:14:30] | I wouldn’t want to. | 我也不想活在那样的地方 |
[1:14:32] | How do you know you’re not deluding yourself? | 你怎么知道那不是自身的幻觉? |
[1:14:36] | I mean, for me | 我是说 对我而言 |
[1:14:37] | I’d need proof. | 我需要证明 |
[1:14:40] | Proof? | 证明? |
[1:14:44] | Did you love your father? | 你爱你父亲吧? |
[1:14:47] | Your dad, did you love him? | 你爸爸 你爱他吗? |
[1:14:50] | Yes. Very much. | 是啊 非常爱 |
[1:14:55] | Prove it. | 证明呢? |
[1:15:04] | Kent. | 肯特 |
[1:15:05] | The White House. | 白宫 |
[1:15:10] | No excuses. Whoever’s responsible, I want their head on a platter. | 不许开脱 我要知道谁干的 就活劈了他 |
[1:15:14] | What happened? | 出什么事了? |
[1:15:16] | You were right all along. | 还是你说的对 |
[1:15:18] | The team at the VLA has worked around the clock | 甚大天线阵的研究人员昼夜工作 |
[1:15:21] | and the hard work has finally paid off. | 功夫不负有心人 |
[1:15:24] | This key section uncovered tonight, and obtained exclusively by CNN | 他们今晚发现了这个关键部分 CNN独家报道 |
[1:15:28] | shows an illustration of a human figure | 显示出一个人形图像 |
[1:15:31] | inside a geometric structure of some kind. | 置于某种几何结构正中 |
[1:15:34] | This and other contextual clues | 加上其他线索 |
[1:15:36] | now lead scientists to believe the message is, in fact | 使科学家们相信 该信息的确是 |
[1:15:39] | – President called an emergency meeting. – I imagined he would. | – 总统将召开紧急会议 – 料到了 |
[1:15:43] | designed to take a single human occupant into space | 设计成让一名人类成员进入太空 |
[1:15:46] | presumably to the star Vega. | 估计前往织女星 |
[1:16:12] | Tell me. | 快说说 |
[1:16:14] | They will build it. | 要开工啦 |
[1:16:15] | Who goes? | 谁去呢? |
[1:16:16] | The President’s gone international to spread the risk and cost | 总统已联络国际社会分摊风险和开支– |
[1:16:20] | Who goes? | 到底谁去呀? |
[1:16:22] | Well, it’s complicated. | 那倒有点复杂 |
[1:16:25] | They have formed a group of international candidates. | 有一组候选人 来自各国 |
[1:16:28] | Now, it’s your discovery. | 是的 它是你的发现 |
[1:16:31] | They understand that. You’re at the top of a very short list. | 他们明白 你在极少候选人中名列前茅 |
[1:16:35] | But they’re also forming a selection committee. | 但是 他们同时成立一个提名委员会 |
[1:16:38] | It’s made of scholars, theologians, scientists, philosophers | 学者组成的 神学家 科学家 哲学家– |
[1:16:42] | You’re on it. | 你在其中喽 |
[1:16:44] | I’ve been asked, yes. | 他们要我上 是的 |
[1:16:48] | I guess that means | 那么我猜 |
[1:16:51] | that you’re a selector, I’m a selectee and we can’t | 由你挑选 我等着被挑剔 我们不能 |
[1:16:54] | Yeah. | 对 |
[1:16:55] | What you don’t understand, Ellie, is | 你不明白 爱莉 那是– |
[1:16:58] | I understand. | 我懂 |
[1:17:00] | I want you to know, whatever happens, as far as I’m concerned | 爱莉 我得跟你说 不管事情如何 我这方面 |
[1:17:08] | Good luck. | 祝你走运 |
[1:17:14] | Whatever you do, make sure he doesn’t monopolize the committee. | 随你怎么干 千万别让他大权独揽 |
[1:17:17] | He is not on the committee, Ellie. | 他不在委员会之内 爱莉 |
[1:17:23] | He just resigned. He wants to be the one to go. | 他刚刚辞职 他想去 |
[1:17:29] | The President is already feeling the financial pinch. | 总统已经开始觉察财政吃紧 |
[1:17:32] | Sources say the cost of the project is spiralling | 有消息说 计划总开支飞升至 |
[1:17:35] | to more than a third of a trillion dollars | 三千多亿美元 |
[1:17:38] | making this perhaps the most expensive single project | 成为人类有史以来 |
[1:17:42] | in all of human history. | 最浩大的单项工程 |
[1:17:44] | Months of debate finally reached | 数月来的争执终于结束了 |
[1:17:46] | a conclusion last week as 10 candidates were selected by the I.M. C | 上周 国际机器协会挑选了十名候选人 |
[1:17:51] | representing a cross section of political and religious views. | 代表着各种政治和宗教观点 |
[1:17:55] | Many are the same experts who have consulted | 很多人已经加入 |
[1:17:58] | on the Machine’s design and function. | 机器的设计施工 |
[1:18:00] | They will actively participate on-site, during the construction process. | 他们将积极地参与现场工程 |
[1:18:05] | The choice of these 10 candidates has been controversial. | 围绕这十名候选人争议不绝 |
[1:18:08] | One-third of the candidates are American. | 三分之一是美国人 |
[1:18:11] | And many international observers ask why. | 很多国际观察家感到不解 |
[1:18:15] | The U.S. Is shouldering a large part of the cost | 美国政府承担了一大笔开支– |
[1:18:17] | Isn’t it true that contractors, like Hadden Industries | 是否承包商 比如哈登工业集团 |
[1:18:21] | are making contributions in exchange for technology rights? | 以参与工程来换取技术呢? |
[1:18:24] | Different nations are being compensated in different ways. | 各国以多样的形式获得补偿 |
[1:18:28] | Japan made headlines by opting to forego candidate representation | 头条新闻 日本放弃自己的候选人资格 |
[1:18:33] | in exchange for the systems integration subcontract. | 以换取系统总装合同 |
[1:18:36] | On what basis do you choose | 您选择的基础是什么 |
[1:18:38] | a human being to represent humanity? | 怎样用一个人来代表整个人类? |
[1:18:41] | Good question, Larry. | 问得好 拉里 |
[1:18:42] | If nothing else | 别的不说 |
[1:18:45] | it should be somebody fluent in the language the message was given in. | 这个人应该熟悉消息本身的特别语言 |
[1:18:49] | Science, in this case. | 这就是科学 |
[1:18:51] | Despite your obvious enthusiasm | 阿洛维博士 尽管您如此积极 |
[1:18:53] | there’s been a lot of criticism | 很多批评认为 |
[1:18:56] | that this endeavor is simply too dangerous. | 这种努力其实相当危险 |
[1:18:59] | Some of that criticism from scientists. | 一些批评来自科学家 |
[1:19:01] | One Nobel Prize winner noted, his words: | 一位诺贝尔奖获得者评论道 下面是原话: |
[1:19:05] | “There is every indication | “各种迹象表明 |
[1:19:07] | that this is beyond our capabilities, that this endeavor will fail | 这超出我们的能力 如果工程失败 |
[1:19:11] | and that the Machine’s occupant will pay for it with his life.” | 机器的乘员需以生命为代价 “ |
[1:19:14] | How do you respond? | 您怎样回答呢? |
[1:19:16] | This message is from a civilization that may be anywhere | 发送该信息的文明也许 |
[1:19:20] | from hundreds to millions and millions of years ahead of us. | 远远超越我们几百万乃至几十亿年 |
[1:19:24] | I have to believe that an intelligence that advanced | 我相信如此先进的文明 |
[1:19:28] | knows what they’re doing. | 是明白事理的 |
[1:19:31] | Now all it requires on our part is | 那么要求我们的只是 |
[1:19:35] | Faith? | 信仰吗? |
[1:19:39] | I was going to say, a sense of adventure. | 我想说的是 一种冒险精神 |
[1:19:41] | And in breaking news | 最新消息 |
[1:19:43] | astronaut John Russell | 宇航员约翰·罗素 |
[1:19:44] | considered to be the leading American candidate for the Machine seat | 一名领先的美国候选乘员 |
[1:19:48] | has dropped out of the running. | 刚退出竞争 |
[1:19:51] | Russell met with reporters today at his Houston home. | 罗素今天在休斯敦家中接待了记者 |
[1:19:55] | I told my dad I didn’t want him | 我和爸爸说 我 |
[1:19:58] | to go. | 不要他走 |
[1:19:59] | Daddy, don’t go. | 爸 不要走 |
[1:20:03] | Nothing would give me more pride | 没有什么能比 |
[1:20:05] | than to | 代表我的祖国 |
[1:20:07] | represent my country. | 更令我骄傲 |
[1:20:09] | But what can I say to this? | 我又该怎么说呢? |
[1:20:12] | Consortium officials had no comment, but inside sources | 协会负责人不愿评论 但据知情人士说 |
[1:20:16] | have disclosed that Dr. Arroway | 阿洛维博士 |
[1:20:18] | appears to now be the front-runner for the Machine seat. | 现在成为热门人选 |
[1:20:23] | “Meet me at noon. Must talk.” | “中午见 要事相商” |
[1:20:26] | I didn’t expect a message like this from you. | 真没想到你留那样的话 |
[1:20:28] | Thanks for coming. | 谢谢你应约 |
[1:20:30] | Is this kosher? Fraternizing with the enemy? | 通敌 这是纪律不允许的吧? |
[1:20:33] | Selectors and selectees mingling around? | 选举委员与候选人互通曲款? |
[1:20:37] | Can we talk about Einstein? | 谈谈爱因斯坦吧 |
[1:20:39] | Yeah, sure. | 好啊 |
[1:20:41] | Special relativity. This Machine | 按照狭义相对论 这个机器 |
[1:20:46] | if it works, you travel to Vega at the speed of light. | 如果运行正常 你将以光速前往织女星 |
[1:20:50] | – When you come back – lf you come back. | – 当你回来 – 如果能回来 |
[1:20:55] | If you come back | 如果你回来 |
[1:20:57] | you’ll be 4 years older, but over 50 years will have passed here on Earth. | 你比现在大四岁 但是地球上已经过了五十多年 |
[1:21:01] | Basically. | 基本上吧 |
[1:21:04] | And everybody that you care about | 你关心的每一个人 |
[1:21:07] | will be gone, dead and buried. | 都不在了 死了 埋了 |
[1:21:10] | If you came back, if you survived at all | 如果你能回来 如果你能活下来 |
[1:21:16] | Look, Palmer, nobody’s saying this isn’t dangerous. | 瞧 帕尔莫 没人说这不危险哪 |
[1:21:20] | The rest of the candidates and myself understand the risks we’re taking. | 其他候选人连同我自己 都理解所带来的危险 |
[1:21:24] | Why? | 为什么呢? |
[1:21:25] | It’s a historic opportunity. The world needs | 这是个历史性的时刻 世界需要– |
[1:21:28] | You, Ellie. You! You personally. | 你 爱莉 你自己!想想你自己 |
[1:21:32] | By doing this, you’re willing to give your life. | 这样做 你愿意献出生命 |
[1:21:35] | You’re willing to die for it. | 为这个死了都愿意 |
[1:21:39] | Why? | 为什么呢? |
[1:21:44] | From as long as I can remember, I’ve been searching for | 我记得 我一直在寻找 |
[1:21:48] | something | 某种 |
[1:21:50] | some reason why we’re here. What are we doing here? Who are we? | 某种我们存在的原因 我们为什么存在?我们是谁? |
[1:21:55] | If this is a chance to find out even a part of that answer | 如果有机会找到哪怕是不完整的回答 |
[1:22:00] | I don’t know, I think it’s worth a human life. | 不知道 但我觉得付出生命是值得的 |
[1:22:04] | Don’t you? | 不是吗? |
[1:22:12] | You’re an incredibly brave woman, Ellie. | 你是个勇敢无比的女人 爱莉 |
[1:22:17] | Or incredibly nuts. | 或者说 疯子一个 |
[1:22:49] | I’m really confused. | 帕尔莫 我真的糊涂了 |
[1:22:52] | So am I. | 我也是 |
[1:22:55] | I think I speak for us all when I thank you for your patience. | 我想我可以代表大家谢谢你的耐心 |
[1:22:59] | Myself, I have one final question, Dr. Arroway. | 就我自己 还有最后一个问题 阿洛维博士 |
[1:23:03] | If you should meet these Vegans | 如果你遇到了织女星人 |
[1:23:06] | and were permitted only one question to ask of them | 假设只允许问他们一个问题 |
[1:23:10] | what would it be? | 将问什么? |
[1:23:14] | I suppose it would be: | 我想 那就是: |
[1:23:16] | “How did you do it? | “你们怎么做的? |
[1:23:18] | How did you evolve? How did you survive technological adolescence | 你们怎么进化的?怎样度过技术文明的青春期 |
[1:23:23] | without destroying yourself?” | 而没有自我毁灭?” |
[1:23:25] | That more than any other question is one I personally would like answered. | 这就是我个人最希望得到回答的问题 |
[1:23:31] | Not too bad, Mike. | 不错嘛 麦克 |
[1:23:33] | I join Dr. Bergeron | 与博格隆博士一样 我也 |
[1:23:35] | in expressing thanks for your patience, Dr. Arroway. | 在此表达对您的耐心的谢意 阿洛维博士 |
[1:23:38] | We’re all impressed with your candor | 您的坦诚和坚韧给我们 |
[1:23:41] | and your stamina. | 留下深刻印象 |
[1:23:43] | I think we’re ready to move on to your final statement. | 我想我们准备听取您的总结发言 |
[1:23:47] | I have one more question. | 尊敬的主席 我还有一个问题 |
[1:23:49] | Yes, Mr. Joss. | 请讲 乔斯先生 |
[1:23:54] | Would you consider yourself | 您是否认为自己 |
[1:23:57] | a spiritual person? | 是一个高尚的人? |
[1:24:05] | I don’t understand the point of the question. | 我不明白问题的意义? |
[1:24:08] | I consider myself a moral person. | 我认为自己是有道德感的 |
[1:24:11] | We’re sure that’s the case, but what Mr. Joss is in fact asking | 那个自然了 不过 实际上乔斯先生问的是– |
[1:24:16] | Do you believe in God? | 您信仰上帝吗?阿洛维博士 |
[1:24:27] | As a scientist | 作为一名科学家 |
[1:24:29] | I rely on empirical evidence, and in this matter | 我依赖于经验证据 就此事而言 |
[1:24:33] | I don’t believe that there’s data either way. | 我相信尚未有证据证实或否定 |
[1:24:37] | So your answer would in fact be that you don’t believe in God. | 那么 您的回答实际上就是:您不相信上帝 |
[1:24:45] | I don’t understand the relevance of the question. | 我是不理解问题本身究竟有什么意义 |
[1:24:51] | 95% of the world’s population | 阿洛维博士 世界上百分之九十五的人 |
[1:24:54] | believes in a Supreme Being in one form or another. | 相信某种形式的超然存在 |
[1:24:59] | I believe that makes the question more than relevant. | 因此我觉得这个问题比什么都更有意义 |
[1:25:17] | I believe | 我相信 |
[1:25:23] | I believe I’ve already answered that question. | 我相信我已经回答了这个问题 |
[1:25:29] | I’m proud of what we’ve achieved as a species | 作为这个物种 也作为一个文明的一员 |
[1:25:33] | and as a civilization. | 我为我们的成就而自豪 |
[1:25:36] | I would hate to see everything we stand for | 我会痛恨我们在最后一刻 |
[1:25:39] | all that we have fought for for a thousand generations | 背叛千百世代以来为之奋斗的 |
[1:25:43] | all that God has blessed us with | 上帝所赐予我们的 |
[1:25:47] | betrayed | 一切 |
[1:25:49] | in the final hour because we sent a representative who did not put our | 仅仅因为我们挑选的代表不能够 |
[1:25:55] | most cherished beliefs first. | 把我们所珍惜的信仰置于优先 |
[1:26:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[1:26:35] | Why’d you do it? | 你为什么那么干? |
[1:26:41] | Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. | 我们的工作是使选出的人可以代表全体 |
[1:26:48] | I couldn’t in good conscience vote for a person | 良心使我不能把票投给 |
[1:26:52] | who doesn’t believe in God. | 不相信上帝的人 |
[1:26:56] | Someone who | 而且这个人 |
[1:26:58] | honestly thinks the other 95% of us | 认真地相信我们当中百分之九十五 |
[1:27:01] | suffer from some form of mass delusion. | 受到某种集体幻觉的折磨 |
[1:27:07] | I told the truth up there. | 我讲的是事实 |
[1:27:11] | Drumlin told you exactly what you wanted to hear. | 而德鲁姆林专挑你们爱听的说 |
[1:27:49] | With full humility and utmost gratitude | 我诚惶诚恐并且感激不尽地 |
[1:27:52] | I accept this great honor | 在此接受这一巨大荣誉 |
[1:27:55] | and I promise I will do my best to represent my nation | 我起誓 全心全意服务祖国 |
[1:27:59] | my planet and my God on this historic | 为了这个星球和上帝 |
[1:28:02] | journey. | 开始这一历史性的征途 |
[1:28:04] | I thank you from the bottom of my heart. | 我表示由衷的感激 |
[1:28:49] | There’s a carnival atmosphere at Cape Canaveral | 坎纳维拉尔角洋溢着狂欢节气氛 |
[1:28:52] | as the International Machine Consortium | 国际机器协会 |
[1:28:58] | David Drumlin is supervising the on-site portion of the test. | 戴维·德鲁姆林博士担任现场负责人 |
[1:29:02] | We spoke with him earlier today. | 今天早些时候我们采访了他本人 |
[1:29:04] | We’ll be able to monitor the stresses and effects using the robot passenger | 使用机器人 我们就能够监测张力和其他效应 |
[1:29:10] | who we lovingly call Elmer. | 我们亲切地叫它埃尔莫 |
[1:29:18] | The press wants to ask you a few questions | 记者要问您一些问题 |
[1:29:20] | as soon as they’re done with Dr. Drumlin. | 紧接德鲁姆林博士之后 |
[1:29:26] | When we release the pod, a substantial amount of energy will be generated. | 一旦座舱被释放 预期将有大量能量释放出来 |
[1:29:31] | We’ll be able to monitor the stresses and effects | 使用机器人 我们就能够监测张力和其他效应 |
[1:29:34] | using our robot passenger, who we | 我们亲切地叫它 |
[1:29:37] | Iovingly call Elmer. | 埃尔莫 |
[1:29:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[1:29:40] | You’re welcome. | 很荣幸 |
[1:29:43] | They’re ready for you out at the site. | 那边已经准备好了 |
[1:29:46] | Yeah, just a minute. | 好 稍等一下 |
[1:29:54] | – Congratulations. – Glad you could come. | – 祝贺您了 – 真高兴你能来 |
[1:29:57] | Didn’t expect to see you here. | 有点意外呢 |
[1:30:01] | Well, I’m still | 噢 我只不过 |
[1:30:03] | Crew Ops at the Control Center. | 在控制中心充当总调度员 |
[1:30:06] | I suppose the fact that I discovered the message means I have PR value. | 既然消息本来是我找到的 也许 他们认为我尚有一些公关价值吧 |
[1:30:10] | Of course. | 当然喽 |
[1:30:14] | I know you must think this is all very unfair. | 我明白 你觉得这特别不公道 |
[1:30:17] | And maybe that’s an understatement. | 也许我过于轻描淡写 |
[1:30:21] | What you don’t know is, I agree. | 你不会懂 我同意你的看法的 |
[1:30:24] | I wish the world was a place where fair was the bottom line | 我也指望这个世道讲求公平 |
[1:30:27] | where the idealism you showed at the hearing was rewarded | 那样呢 你在听证会上显示的理想主义可以得到回报 |
[1:30:31] | not taken advantage of. | 而不是被利用 |
[1:30:35] | Unfortunately, we don’t live in that world. | 不幸哪 我们都生活在现实当中 |
[1:30:40] | Funny | 有意思 |
[1:30:42] | I always believed the world is what we make of it. | 我原本相信现实是人创造的 |
[1:30:47] | Excuse me! | 抱歉!德鲁姆林博士? |
[1:30:52] | Good luck on the test. | 祝你一帆风顺 |
[1:30:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:31:04] | Test director | 测试总指挥 |
[1:31:05] | everything looks good. Ready to go. | 一切正常 准备启动 |
[1:31:08] | I want things double and triple checked here. | 我要求一切都要检查再三 |
[1:31:11] | We only get one shot at this. Let’s get it right. | 我们只能干一次 要弄得漂亮 |
[1:31:15] | Ladies and gentlemen,we are ready for start-up. | 女士们先生们 准备启动了 |
[1:31:18] | All controllers, I need a go-no-go for test initiation. | 全体注意 试验即将启动 向我报告是或否 |
[1:31:22] | – Mechanical? – Go. | – 机械? – 是! |
[1:31:23] | Electrical? | 电气? |
[1:31:24] | Dynamics? | 动力? |
[1:31:26] | Communications? | 通讯? |
[1:31:27] | Pod systems? | 座舱系统? |
[1:31:28] | Safety? | 保安? |
[1:31:30] | Crew Ops, verify all pre-test procedures are complete. | 总调度员 请核对所有试验预前程序是否完成 |
[1:31:33] | Yes, verified. I’m go. | 是的 已核实 本部门批准 |
[1:31:35] | Pad Leader, is everything okay with you? | 发射台长 一切正常吗? |
[1:31:37] | Roger. The pad is a go. | 听到 发射台预备 |
[1:31:40] | Test initiation, on my mark. | 试验启动 听我号令 |
[1:31:43] | 5 | 五 |
[1:31:45] | 4 | 四 |
[1:31:47] | 3 | 三 |
[1:31:48] | 2 | 二 |
[1:31:50] | 1. | 一 |
[1:31:51] | Mark. | 启动 |
[1:31:53] | – Test start. – Rings are unlocked. | – 试验开始 – 转环解锁 |
[1:31:55] | Power levels show a good start. | 动力级进度显示良好 |
[1:31:57] | We’ve begun the test of | 试验已经开始了 |
[1:31:59] | earth’s first system built by sharing knowledge with a neighbor in space. | 这是地球上第一次尝试来自太空近邻的知识 |
[1:32:03] | All power sources on core induction bus. | 所有动力源接入核心线圈 |
[1:32:06] | IPV power transfer. | 人员运送舱动力传输 |
[1:32:08] | Ring motion detect. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie. | 转环状态检测 幺 两 三 |
[1:32:12] | – Gerry, how are we looking? – Looks good. We’re underway. | – 杰里 情况如何? – 不错 挺顺利 |
[1:32:16] | Looks like a normal start-up. | 看起来这个起头搞得不错 |
[1:32:18] | Roger, David. It’s looking good here. | 听到 戴维 这里一切正常 |
[1:32:26] | We are moments away from the initiation of the drop sequence. | 我们即将开始座舱释放程序 |
[1:32:29] | All systems are go. | 全体系统正常 |
[1:32:34] | – Mechanical, you still happy? – Roger. | – 机械 还好吗? – 收到 |
[1:32:36] | It’s very exciting | 太令人激动了 |
[1:32:37] | from up here. | 站这儿瞧过去 |
[1:32:41] | We’ve got 4%. | 我们的读数是百分之四 |
[1:32:43] | We’re confirming 4%. | 百分之四 确认 |
[1:32:46] | Frequency 9.85. | 频率九点八五 |
[1:32:50] | Harmonics in the green. | 谐波正常 |
[1:32:52] | G-level 1.1. | 加速度一点一 |
[1:32:56] | – 5%. – Confirmed. We are at 5%. | – 百分之五 – 是的 我们的读数百分之五 |
[1:32:59] | David, how’s it looking to you? | 戴维 你看事情如何? |
[1:33:01] | Okay. I’m going to take a look and show you what we got. | 行啊 我这就转一圈让你们都看看 |
[1:33:04] | Instrumentation looks good. | 设备运行良好 |
[1:33:06] | We have a good picture from Dr. Drumlin’s PRD. | 德鲁姆林博士的随身摄像机送来清晰图像 |
[1:33:10] | Hope you guys are seeing what I’m seeing. | 希望你们大家都能看见 |
[1:33:13] | All systems are go. | 全部系统正常 |
[1:33:17] | This is really something! | 真了不起! |
[1:33:18] | For purposes of this test | 为了试验 |
[1:33:20] | Dr. Drumlin will be on top of the Gantry crane that’s over the Machine. | 德鲁姆林博士将站在机器上方龙门吊车的起重臂上 |
[1:33:25] | We’ve got some video animation | 我们这里有一个动画演示 |
[1:33:27] | to show just how this Machine it is thought will work. | 该机器 在我们看来 应该如何运转 |
[1:33:31] | The passenger pod will release. | 乘员座舱首先释放 |
[1:33:33] | It will come down through the center of the rings and into the Machine’s core. | 它将通过各转环的中心掉入机器的内核部分 |
[1:33:37] | The question everyone here is asking is | 大家都在问一个问题 |
[1:33:40] | what happens then? | 然后那会怎么样呢? |
[1:33:42] | Some believe the rings function as some sort of an accelerator or something | 一些人相信 转环的作用是某种加速器或类似的东西 |
[1:33:47] | sending its energy into the pod | 向座舱传送能量 |
[1:33:49] | making it rocket away at near light speed. | 使它以近光速飞出去 |
[1:33:52] | Others believe it might open up a doorway to some other dimension. | 也有人认为它可能打开一个通向其他维度空间的通道 |
[1:33:57] | Who’s right? | 谁说得对呢? |
[1:33:58] | That’s what today’s test is all about. | 这就是今天的试验要解决的 |
[1:34:01] | – 35%. – Subsystems ready? | – 百分之三十五 – 各系统如何? |
[1:34:03] | 40% normal acceleration. | 百分之四十匀加速 |
[1:34:05] | Confirm 40%. | 确认百分之四十 |
[1:34:07] | Controllers stand by to initiate drop sequence | 各控制员注意了 准备启动释放程序 |
[1:34:10] | on my mark. | 听我号令 |
[1:34:12] | All systems ready for drop sequence. | 全部系统预备 |
[1:34:14] | 45%. | 百分之四十五 |
[1:34:17] | We’re in 45%. | 读数百分之四十五核实 |
[1:34:20] | Verify closure. | 检查座舱密封 |
[1:34:23] | 46. | 百分之四十六 |
[1:34:25] | All controllers stand by to initiate IPV drop sequence. On my mark. | 全体控制员预备启动乘员座舱释放程序 听我号令 |
[1:34:30] | 48%. | 百分之四十八 |
[1:34:33] | I’m feeling a very strange vibration. | 总指挥 我感觉到一点奇怪的振动 |
[1:34:35] | – Are you feeling it down there? – Gerry, can you confirm? | – 你们下面能感觉到吗? – 杰里 你能核实吗? |
[1:34:39] | Everything looks good. | 看上去挺正常的 |
[1:34:41] | Crew Ops? | 总调度员? |
[1:34:42] | Nothing wrong. | 没什么不对的地方 |
[1:34:43] | We see nothing abnormal here. | 我们没有发现异常 |
[1:34:45] | No good. Hold sequence. I’ll take a direct reading. | 不行 程序暂停 我要亲自检查 |
[1:34:49] | What’s he talking about? | 他都说些什么呀? |
[1:34:50] | Can anyone say grandstanding? | 忘记”出风头”这个词了? |
[1:34:52] | He sure knows he’s on TV! | 他当然知道自己正上电视嘛! |
[1:34:54] | Back home that’s what we call an overcooked ham. | 我们家乡有个说法:得意忘形 |
[1:34:58] | I’m reading 10 kilohertz! | 我的读数是十千赫! |
[1:35:00] | What do you read on the first and second order G-levels? | 你的一级和二级加速度值是多少? |
[1:35:03] | G-levels are right on! | 加速度正常! |
[1:35:07] | We confirm Drumlin’s readings. All normal. We’re go. | 我们已确认德鲁姆林博士的数据 程序继续 |
[1:35:11] | I think we’re okay, but we’ll let him finish. | 我想什么事也没有 不过 还是让他自己来了账吧 |
[1:35:15] | – Mechanical, you still okay? – Roger. Right on the money. | – 机械 情况还好吗? – 收到 再好没有了 |
[1:35:19] | Security problem! | 保安出问题了! |
[1:35:21] | Ellie, are you sure? | 爱莉 肯定吗? |
[1:35:23] | He shouldn’t be there. I know him. | 他不应该在场 我认得他 |
[1:35:25] | Gerry, execute the rapid shutdown sequence. | 杰里 执行快速终止程序 |
[1:35:28] | Security, move emergency response team into position. | 保安 出动应急部队赶到现场 |
[1:35:32] | Get Drumlin on a secure loop. | 给德鲁姆林接上保密回路 |
[1:35:34] | You got him. | 行了 |
[1:35:36] | – Can you hear me? – Yes, I hear. | – 听得见吗? – 是的 听见了 |
[1:35:38] | We’ve got a security breach here. | 出现保安漏洞 |
[1:35:41] | Behind you. | 在你身后 |
[1:35:42] | The tall guy. | 就是那高个子 |
[1:35:43] | The technician. | 那个技术员 |
[1:35:45] | See him? | 看见他了? |
[1:35:49] | He shouldn’t be there. | 他不应该在场 |
[1:35:56] | Something’s in his hand! | 他手里有东西! |
[1:35:59] | Him! Take him! Security breach! | 就是他!抓住他!安全警报! |
[1:36:02] | A bomb! | 炸弹! |
[1:36:03] | I want that emergency response team up on the gantry. Now! | 我要求应急部队马上到达塔吊顶部 |
[1:36:07] | Stage One Alert! | 一级戒备! |
[1:36:08] | Move all fire and rescue personnel into position one. | 消防 救援人员进入临战状态 |
[1:36:49] | All right, back to your stations. | 好了 返回各自岗位 |
[1:36:51] | I need you to be professional. Settle down! | 我要求你们表现出专业素质 镇静! |
[1:36:54] | Pad Leader, do you copy? | 发射台长 收到回话? |
[1:37:15] | The scene earlier today, when David Drumlin | 这是今天早些时候的图像 当时德鲁姆林博士 |
[1:37:18] | advisor to two Presidents | 两任总统的顾问 |
[1:37:20] | and winner of the National Academy of Sciences lifetime award | 科学院终身成就奖获得者 |
[1:37:24] | was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery. | 被安葬于阿林顿国家公墓 |
[1:37:31] | In a related story | 相关报道里 |
[1:37:33] | Can I help you? | 什么事? |
[1:37:37] | I’ve got some mail for you. | 我有一些你的邮件 |
[1:37:39] | the apparent suicide note of the terrorist now believed responsible | 这可能是恐怖分子留下的遗书 现在相信 |
[1:37:44] | for the explosion in Florida this week. | 他是本周早些时候佛罗里达爆炸事件的肇事者 |
[1:37:47] | What we do | 我们怎么 |
[1:37:49] | we do for the goodness of all mankind. | 才能为全人类谋福利 |
[1:37:53] | This won’t be understood, not now | 这个不会被理解的 现在不行 |
[1:37:56] | but the Apocalypse to come | 然而将来的启示录 |
[1:37:59] | will vindicate our faith. | 会验证我们的信仰 |
[1:38:25] | Welcome home. | 欢迎回家 |
[1:39:33] | Comrade Arroway | 阿洛维同志 |
[1:39:36] | we have been expecting your call. One moment, please. | 我们一直在等待您的电话 请稍等 |
[1:39:49] | Mr. Hadden? | 哈登先生? |
[1:39:50] | Doctor! | 博士! |
[1:39:53] | How kind of you to call. | 接到电话倍感荣幸 |
[1:39:55] | Mr. Hadden, where are you? | 哈登先生 您在哪儿? |
[1:40:00] | The Russian government was kind enough to give me accommodations on Mir. | 俄国政府慷慨地为我提供了”和平号”上面的一个舱位 |
[1:40:05] | You’re living on a space station? | 您住在太空站里? |
[1:40:08] | It’s quite simple, really. | 简单得很 真的 |
[1:40:12] | The low oxygen, zero gravity environment | 低氧 零重力环境 |
[1:40:16] | is the only thing keeping the cancer from eating me alive. | 才使我不致死于癌症 |
[1:40:22] | Actually, I quite like it up here. | 实际上呢 这地方挺好的 |
[1:40:25] | My little room has one hell of a view. | 从我的小房间看出去 风景别致呀 |
[1:40:36] | I want to show you something. | 我给你看一样东西 |
[1:40:43] | Hokkaido Island. | 北海道岛 |
[1:40:46] | The systems integration site. | 系统总装场 |
[1:40:50] | Look closer. | 看仔细一点 |
[1:40:59] | First rule in government spending: | 政府开销的第一原则: |
[1:41:03] | Why build one when you can have two at twice the price? | 既然可以要双份工钱 为什么只干一份活呢? |
[1:41:07] | Only, this one can be kept secret. | 唯独 这一个可以保密 |
[1:41:11] | Controlled by Americans | 美国人控制 |
[1:41:14] | built by Japanese subcontractors | 日本人分包承建 |
[1:41:18] | who also happen to be | 而承包商碰巧 |
[1:41:21] | recently acquired | 刚被收购 |
[1:41:24] | wholly-owned subsidiaries | 成为全资分公司 |
[1:41:27] | of Hadden Industries. | 被哈登工业集团收购 |
[1:41:33] | They still want an American to go, Doctor. | 他们仍然希望一名美国人前往呢 博士 |
[1:41:40] | Want to take a ride? | 想不想跑一趟? |
[1:42:24] | Augmenting our restraint and | 我们在安全带和 |
[1:42:26] | communications console subsystem | 通讯控制台子系统之外 |
[1:42:28] | is your personal recording unit. | 加装了你的个人摄像器 |
[1:42:31] | Normal, infrared and ultraviolet lenses. | 普通 红外和紫外镜头 |
[1:42:35] | Digital microchip good for thousands of hours of recording. | 数字芯片可存储数千小时 |
[1:42:40] | Okay, look, I understand | 好吧 瞧 我理解 |
[1:42:43] | the reason for recording and documenting the mission. | 全程录像和记录的理由 |
[1:42:46] | But I just want to go on record one more time. | 但我要再次正式声明 |
[1:42:49] | The transmitted specs never said anything about any chair | 收到的数据里丝毫没有提到椅子 |
[1:42:53] | or a restraining harness | 或者任何固定装置 |
[1:42:55] | or survival gear. | 也没有救生设备 |
[1:42:57] | Why can’t we just trust the original | 我们为什么不能信任原始 |
[1:42:59] | Doctor, both the IMC Board and the SI team reviewed the material | 博士 国际机器协会执委会连同科学调查组研究了有关材料 |
[1:43:04] | and concluded that the design impact is negligible. | 得出结论 该设计产生的影响可以忽略 |
[1:43:08] | Bottom line is | 最基本的原则是 |
[1:43:10] | we’re not putting anyone aboard this Machine | 任何人都不能进入机器里面 |
[1:43:12] | unless there is some sort of minimal protection. | 除非存在某种最低限度的保护措施 |
[1:43:15] | End of story. | 不容争议 |
[1:43:24] | We’ve given these to the astronauts since the start of the space program. | 自空间计划开始 我们就给宇航员这玩意儿 |
[1:43:29] | It’s never been made public, of course. | 当然了 从未公开 |
[1:43:31] | It’s fast and it’s painless. | 快速 无痛苦 |
[1:43:36] | I’m going to travel 26 light years to commit suicide? | 我跑二十六光年去自杀吗? |
[1:43:40] | Something may go wrong. | 也许会出岔子 |
[1:43:42] | There may be an unforeseen mechanical failure. | 也许是不可预见的机械故障 |
[1:43:45] | You could be marooned, unable to return. | 你可能被滞留 无法返回 |
[1:43:49] | There are 1,000 reasons we can think of to have this | 我们有成千个理由让你带上这个 |
[1:43:53] | but mostly it’s for the reasons we can’t think of. | 但主要是对付那些我们无法想象的原因 |
[1:44:22] | Come in. | 进来 |
[1:44:25] | Dr. Arroway, time to get ready. | 阿洛维博士 时间到了 |
[1:44:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:44:40] | I know there’s not much time. | 我理解时间紧迫 |
[1:44:42] | As soon as I found out about it, I called the President. | 我一知道这事就打电话给总统 |
[1:44:45] | I came with Kitz. | 我跟克茨一起来的 |
[1:44:47] | I had to see you one more time. | 我想再见你一面 |
[1:44:50] | Oh, God, I’m sorry. | 哦 天哪 我要道歉 |
[1:44:52] | No, I’m glad you came. | 不 你能来我很高兴 |
[1:44:54] | There’s something I got to say to you. | 我有话和你说 |
[1:44:57] | The reason I didn’t vote for you was a good one, but not the real one. | 尽管我投票反对你的理由充分 但那不是真正的理由 |
[1:45:03] | I didn’t vote for you to go | 我反对你前去 |
[1:45:06] | because I don’t want to lose you. | 是因为我不想失去你 |
[1:45:09] | Now you find your way home, all right? | 记着回家的路 好吗? |
[1:45:29] | 23 hours ago, the world | 二十三小时以前 整个世界 |
[1:45:30] | was stunned by the announcement of the existence of another Machine | 震惊地获悉第二部机器的存在 |
[1:45:35] | and its passenger, Eleanor Ann Arroway. | 并且 乘员将是伊琳娜·安·阿洛维 |
[1:45:38] | Now | 现在 |
[1:45:39] | the question that’s on everyone’s mind: | 每个人都在寻思: |
[1:45:42] | Will history repeat itself? | 历史会重演吗? |
[1:45:44] | With a piece of engineering this complex | 如此复杂的工程制品 |
[1:45:46] | with so many unknowns, could the unthinkable occur? | 如此多的未知数 会发生不测吗? |
[1:45:50] | The security in Hokkaido has been incredibly tight. | 北海道的保安极为严密 |
[1:45:54] | No reporters whatsoever have been allowed near the site. | 迄今尚无记者获准接近现场 |
[1:48:38] | Restraint secure. Life support functions normal. | 安全带固定 生命维持系统正常 |
[1:48:41] | Roger. | 明白 |
[1:48:42] | This is Control. Do you copy? | 这是指挥部 听到了吗? |
[1:48:44] | Reading you five-by-five. | 非常清楚 |
[1:48:47] | Give me Ellie’s PRD. | 给我接爱莉的随身摄影机 |
[1:48:49] | Video unit recording and transmitting. | 开始记录 传送图像 |
[1:48:52] | – Are you reading me? – That’s affirmative. | – 看得到吗? – 完全正常 |
[1:48:55] | Video looks good. | 图像清晰 |
[1:48:57] | Copy, Control. | 明白 指挥部 |
[1:49:00] | Ellie, we’re going to proceed to button you up. | 爱莉 我们要将你封闭了 |
[1:49:04] | I’m ready. | 等候指令 |
[1:49:09] | Confirming walkway retraction. | 核实跳板回收 |
[1:49:12] | – Communications? – Go. | – 通讯? – 预备 |
[1:49:14] | – Life support? – Go. | – 生命维持? – 预备 |
[1:49:16] | We are go for closure. | 爱莉 开始密封了 |
[1:49:20] | I’m go here. | 我已预备 |
[1:49:23] | Mechanical, initiate IPV closure sequence. | 机械 启动成员舱密封程序 |
[1:49:28] | Let me get you a chair. | 这里有把椅子 |
[1:49:32] | – It’s nice to smell you again, Mr. Kitz. – You too. | – 克茨先生 很愉快再次闻到您同样荣幸 |
[1:49:36] | Wouldn’t peg him as a Polo man. | 就没指望他能用Polo香水 |
[1:49:47] | I got a visual on the door. | 我可以看见门了 |
[1:49:51] | The door is looking good. | 门正常关闭 |
[1:49:58] | Door alignment looks good. | 门檐密合正常 |
[1:50:29] | We’re green across the board. | 所有系统正常 |
[1:50:31] | Copy that, Control. IPV is secure. | 收到 指挥部 乘员舱正常 |
[1:50:41] | We are at 30%. | 当前读数百分之三十 |
[1:50:43] | Copy that, 30%. | 收到 百分之三十 |
[1:50:49] | How you doing in there? | 情况如何? |
[1:50:51] | Kent? | 肯特? |
[1:50:53] | Is that you? | 是你吗? |
[1:50:54] | That’s a big affirmative. | 完完全全正确 |
[1:50:57] | Who let you in there? | 谁带你进来的? |
[1:50:58] | A higher power intervened. | 高规格干预 |
[1:51:02] | I’m glad you came. | 真高兴你来这儿 |
[1:51:09] | 35%. | 百分之三十五 |
[1:51:11] | Copy that, 35%. | 收到 百分之三十五 |
[1:51:12] | – Mechanical? – We’re good. | – 机械? – 正常 |
[1:51:14] | 40%. | 百分之四十 |
[1:51:19] | I’m picking up a moderate vibration. | 感觉到轻微振动 |
[1:51:22] | Dynamics, can you confirm vibration? | 动力 你们能否核实振动? |
[1:51:24] | It looks good here. | 看上去正常 |
[1:51:25] | She’s feeling the same thing they felt at the Cape. | 她也感觉到了 和坎纳维拉尔那次一样 |
[1:51:29] | Vibration’s normal. | 振动是正常的 |
[1:51:31] | We are at 50%. All systems nominal. | 读数百分之五十 全部系统运行合格 |
[1:51:33] | Copy that, 50%. | 收到 百分之五十 |
[1:51:41] | Vibration’s a little stronger now. | 振动加强了 |
[1:51:43] | We’re picking up some low frequency noise. | 可以检测到一点低频噪音 |
[1:51:46] | Mechanical, confirm? | 机械 请核对 |
[1:51:48] | It looks fine to me. | 没问题 |
[1:51:49] | Roger. Jerry, what do you think? | 明白 杰里 你怎么看? |
[1:51:52] | I’m still go. | 可以继续 |
[1:51:53] | People, we are still go. | 各位 按计划进行 |
[1:51:57] | Something’s happening. | 新的现象出现了 |
[1:52:03] | You see that light? | 你们看到光线了吗? |
[1:52:04] | I’m seeing | 我看到– |
[1:52:09] | I can’t tell if it’s daylight. | 无法辨别是否阳光 |
[1:52:12] | There it is again. It’s coming from the bottom. | 又看到了 来自下方 |
[1:52:16] | Let me show you. See that? | 你们瞧着 看得见吗? |
[1:52:17] | Negative. You’re breaking up. | 不能 你的信号受到干扰 |
[1:52:20] | – Can we boost signal? – It’s at maximum. | – 能够增益吗? – 已经是最大值了 |
[1:52:23] | 65%. | 百分之六十五 |
[1:52:24] | The material is changing. | 物质正在改变 |
[1:52:26] | It’s bordering on translucence. The system’s intact. | 边沿半透明 系统完整 |
[1:52:33] | It has to be | 可能是 |
[1:52:34] | some kind of electromagnetic field. | 某种电磁场 |
[1:52:37] | Do you read this? | 你们看得到吗? |
[1:52:39] | We see only interference. | 只有干扰信号 |
[1:52:41] | It’s becoming translucent. | 正在变得半透明 |
[1:52:43] | I can’t describe it. I can’t even explain it! | 无法描述 更无法解释! |
[1:52:48] | 70%. | 百分之七十 |
[1:52:49] | We have intermittent comm, but we are go! | 注意了 通讯受阻 但是维持原方案! |
[1:52:52] | Initiate secondary drive systems. | 启动次级推进系统 |
[1:52:54] | Initiating auxiliary booster sequence. | 助推器程序启动 |
[1:52:57] | We’re go for ignition. | 准备点火 |
[1:53:05] | We have auxiliary ignition. | 助推器点火 |
[1:53:14] | Life support, how is she? | 生命维持 她的状况如何? |
[1:53:15] | Heart and respiration are high but within limits. | 心跳和呼吸剧烈 但处于安全范围 |
[1:53:18] | Ellie, do you copy? | 爱莉 收到吗? |
[1:53:20] | If you hear | 如果收到 |
[1:53:21] | I am okay to go. | 我完成准备 |
[1:53:32] | 80%. | 百分之八十 |
[1:53:33] | All vibration and G-levels are in the green. | 振动和加速度都在正常值 |
[1:53:41] | Control, if you’re reading me | 指挥部 如果收到 |
[1:53:44] | I am okay to go! Okay to go! | 我完成准备! |
[1:53:46] | 85%. | 百分之八十五 |
[1:53:48] | All tips are on the profile. | 全部指示值符合原计划 |
[1:53:51] | 90%. We’re detecting some structural instability. | 百分之九十 检测到结构失稳 |
[1:53:55] | – Is she holding? – We’re within limits, barely. | – 顶得住吗? – 勉强保持在安全限度 |
[1:54:00] | I’m okay to go! | 我完成准备! |
[1:54:04] | I’m okay to go! | 我完成准备! |
[1:54:12] | My God! | 老天爷! |
[1:54:24] | Okay to go! | 完成准备! |
[1:54:26] | I’m okay! | 预备! |
[1:54:27] | 100% target velocity. | 达到百分之百预定速度值 |
[1:54:30] | Tremendous EMI levels around Machine! Field measurements are off-scale. | 史蒂夫 机器周围电磁干扰极强!现场指示值全部超出量程 |
[1:54:35] | We’re approaching our abort limits. | 就要达到试验中止极限了 |
[1:54:40] | Okay to go. | 完成准备 |
[1:54:46] | I hear her! | 听到啦! |
[1:54:47] | I hear her. Barely, but she’s there. | 我听到了 很弱 但的确是她 |
[1:54:50] | Okay to go. | 完成准备 |
[1:54:52] | Says she’s okay to go. | 她说她完成准备 |
[1:54:56] | Steve, we’re real close. | 史蒂夫 很玄哪 |
[1:54:59] | – Your core reading? – Internal environment looks normal. | – 机器内部情况如何? – 内部环境正常 |
[1:55:02] | Inside the core, the weather’s beautiful. | 机器内部天气晴朗 |
[1:55:09] | I’m okay to go. | 我完成准备 |
[1:55:12] | I’m okay to go. | 我完成准备 |
[1:55:14] | Initiate drop sequence. | 启动释放程序 |
[1:55:19] | On my mark. | 听我号令 |
[1:55:22] | 10 | 十 |
[1:55:23] | 9 | 九 |
[1:55:25] | 8 | 八 |
[1:55:28] | 7 | 七 |
[1:55:29] | 6 | 六 |
[1:55:31] | 5 | 五 |
[1:55:32] | 4 | 四 |
[1:55:34] | 3 | 三 |
[1:55:35] | 2 | 二 |
[1:55:36] | I’m okay to go. | 我完成准备 |
[1:55:42] | Oh, God! | 噢 天哪! |
[1:55:53] | Ellie to Control. | 爱莉呼叫指挥部 |
[1:55:55] | Ellie to Control, do you read me! | 爱莉呼叫指挥部 听得见吗! |
[1:56:03] | Ellie to Control, do you read me! | 爱莉呼叫指挥部 听得见吗! |
[1:56:11] | I’ll try | 我将尽力 |
[1:56:13] | to keep recording! | 记录! |
[1:56:15] | I’m going through | 我正在通过 |
[1:56:17] | some kind of a tunnel! | 某种隧道! |
[1:56:35] | There’s a light source ahead! | 前方出现光源! |
[1:56:37] | Brilliant | 是明亮的 |
[1:56:38] | blue-white. | 蓝白色 |
[1:56:41] | Residual radiation? | 是残余辐射吗? |
[1:56:54] | It’s a star. | 那是颗星星 |
[1:56:56] | I must have | 我一定是 |
[1:56:58] | gone through a wormhole. | 经过了一个蛀洞 |
[1:57:05] | It’s Vega! | 那是织女星! |
[1:57:17] | I’m in another wormhole now! | 再次进入一个蛀洞! |
[1:57:23] | I had no idea! | 我不懂! |
[1:57:24] | A series of them! | 一个接一个! |
[1:57:29] | They’re alive. | 他们是有生命的 |
[1:57:30] | It’s like | 这好像 |
[1:57:32] | some kind of a transit system. | 是一种运输系统 |
[1:57:35] | A subway! | 地铁! |
[1:57:37] | Oh, God! | 噢 天哪! |
[1:57:44] | I have to keep talking. | 我得继续说话 |
[1:57:49] | It’s a triple | 那是一个三重 |
[1:57:50] | no, a quadruple system. | 不 是一个四重星系 |
[1:57:53] | Beautiful! | 多美丽啊! |
[1:57:57] | They’re alive! | 他们都是有生命的! |
[1:58:07] | Another wormhole! | 又一个蛀洞! |
[1:58:09] | This one’s much more violent! | 这一次剧烈得多! |
[1:59:44] | Some | 种种 |
[1:59:47] | celestial event | 仙境奇观 |
[1:59:50] | No! | 没有! |
[1:59:52] | No words! | 没有语言! |
[1:59:54] | No words | 没有语言 |
[1:59:57] | to describe it! | 可以形容! |
[2:00:01] | Poetry! | 只有诗歌! |
[2:00:04] | They should have sent | 也许应该 |
[2:00:06] | a poet. | 让一位诗人来到这里 |
[2:00:08] | It’s so beautiful! | 如此的壮丽! |
[2:00:11] | Beautiful! | 壮丽! |
[2:00:14] | So beautiful. | 如此壮丽 |
[2:00:20] | I had no idea. | 我不能解释 |
[2:03:02] | Hi, Sparks. | 嗨 火花儿 |
[2:03:05] | Dad? | 爸爸? |
[2:03:14] | I missed you. | 我想你 |
[2:03:22] | Aren’t you? | 你不是–? |
[2:03:23] | I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you, sweetheart. | 抱歉我不能在你身边 宝贝 |
[2:03:36] | You’re not real. | 你不是真实的 |
[2:03:39] | None of this is real! | 这些都不是真实的! |
[2:03:41] | That’s my scientist. | 这才是我的科学家 |
[2:03:44] | When I was unconscious, you downloaded my thoughts, my memories. | 我失去知觉的时候 你们下载了我的思维和记忆 |
[2:03:50] | Pensacola! | 彭萨科拉! |
[2:03:54] | We thought it might make things easier for you. | 我们原以为这样安排会让你轻松一些 |
[2:04:10] | Why did you contact us? | 你们为什么联络我们? |
[2:04:12] | You contacted us. | 是你们联络我们的 |
[2:04:14] | We were just listening. | 我们只不过聆听而已 |
[2:04:17] | There are others? | 还有其他的? |
[2:04:18] | Many others. | 许许多多 |
[2:04:25] | They all | 它们都 |
[2:04:26] | travel here through that transit system you built? | 通过那个你们建造的运输系统来到这里? |
[2:04:30] | We didn’t build it. | 不是我们建造的 |
[2:04:33] | We don’t know who did. | 我们不知道谁建造的 |
[2:04:36] | They were gone long before we ever got here. | 早在我们来到以前 他们就离开了 |
[2:04:40] | Maybe someday they’ll come back. | 也许有一天他们会回来的 |
[2:04:43] | All the civilizations you find come here? | 你们发现的所有文明都会来到这里吗? |
[2:04:45] | Not all. | 并非所有的 |
[2:04:48] | – Is this some test? – No, no test. | – 这是某种测验吗? – 不 不是测验 |
[2:04:55] | You have your mother’s hands. | 你的手和你妈妈的一模一样 |
[2:05:06] | You’re an interesting species | 你们这个物种很有意思 |
[2:05:09] | an interesting mix. | 一个有意思的复合体 |
[2:05:12] | You’re capable of such beautiful dreams | 你们有如此美丽的幻想 |
[2:05:16] | and such horrible nightmares. | 和那样恐怖的噩梦 |
[2:05:19] | You feel so lost | 你们感到如此迷茫 |
[2:05:22] | so cut off, so alone. | 如此隔绝 如此孤独 |
[2:05:26] | Only you’re not. | 其实并不是的 |
[2:05:32] | In all our searching | 所有的探索中 |
[2:05:34] | all we’ve found that makes the emptiness bearable | 我们发现 要忍受这种空虚 |
[2:05:38] | is each other. | 只有相互依靠 |
[2:05:43] | What happens now? | 现在该怎么办? |
[2:05:46] | Now? | 现在吗? |
[2:05:48] | You go home. | 你回家去 |
[2:05:50] | Home? | 回家? |
[2:05:52] | But | 可是 |
[2:05:54] | I have so many questions. | 我有那么多问题 |
[2:05:55] | Do we get to come back? | 我们能回来吗? |
[2:05:58] | This was just a first step. | 这只是第一步 |
[2:06:01] | In time, you’ll take another. | 将来 你们会再迈出一步 |
[2:06:04] | But other people need to see what I’ve seen | 可是其他人也需要看到我看到的这一切– |
[2:06:07] | This is the way it’s been done for billions of years. | 亿万年以来 事情就是如此的 |
[2:06:12] | Small moves, Ellie. | 慢慢来 爱莉 |
[2:06:16] | Small moves. | 慢慢来 |
[2:07:01] | We’ve got video on Ellie! | 我们得到爱莉的图像了! |
[2:07:03] | She’s through! She is in the net. | 她掉下去了!她在安全网里面 |
[2:07:05] | She’s alive. Get the President on the phone! | 她活着 马上接通总统电话! |
[2:07:08] | What’s going on? How is she? | 事情怎么样?她怎么样? |
[2:07:10] | Ellie, this is Control. You copy? | 爱莉 这是指挥部 你收到吗? |
[2:07:12] | – What’s going on? – I don’t know. | – 出什么事了? – 不知道 |
[2:07:15] | – She’s alive. – Put her on P.A. | – 她还活着 – 把她接到广播上面 |
[2:07:16] | Ellie, hold on tight. | 爱莉 耐心等候 |
[2:07:19] | We’re still trying to determine the nature of the malfunction | 我们仍然在检查失控的原因 |
[2:07:22] | but the important thing is you’re okay. | 重要的是 你没出事 |
[2:07:25] | What? | 什么? |
[2:07:26] | It’s all right. | 不必担心 |
[2:07:28] | The important thing is you’re safe. | 重要的是你目前很安全 |
[2:07:31] | What malfunction? | 什么失控? |
[2:07:37] | What happened? | 出什么事了? |
[2:07:40] | What day is this? | 今天是哪一天? |
[2:07:42] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[2:07:43] | Did you say what day? | 你是问哪一天吗? |
[2:07:47] | How long was I gone? | 我离开多久了? |
[2:07:50] | The IPV dropped straight through the Machine. | 乘员舱直接穿过机器 |
[2:07:55] | You didn’t go anywhere. | 你哪儿都没去 |
[2:07:58] | But I did. | 可我的确 |
[2:08:00] | I did go. | 我的确去过的 |
[2:08:01] | That’s what I’ve tried to tell everyone. | 我一直就这么跟大家说的 |
[2:08:08] | But the headset didn’t record a single image? | 但是什么图像都没有记录下来? |
[2:08:12] | Just this. | 只有这个 |
[2:08:13] | Static. | 静电噪音 |
[2:08:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[2:08:17] | Let me show you what we saw. | 我再让你看看我们所看到的 |
[2:08:29] | 43 separate remote cameras show exactly the same event. | 四十三部独立遥控摄像机的记录完全相同 |
[2:08:32] | The IPV dropped straight through. Everyone saw exactly | 乘员舱直接就掉了下来 每个人看到的 |
[2:08:36] | the same thing. | 都完全相同 |
[2:08:38] | Nothing happened. | 什么事都没有发生 |
[2:08:41] | How do you explain this, Doctor? | 你怎么解释呢 博士? |
[2:08:45] | I can’t. | 我不能解释 |
[2:08:47] | I’d encourage you | 我要敦促你们 |
[2:08:50] | not to inflame this situation | 不要渲染具体事件 |
[2:08:52] | beyond the facts. | 以至失实 |
[2:08:54] | Let us deal with this on the facts. | 让我们就事论事 |
[2:08:58] | We are monitoring what has actually happened. | 我们一直在监视实际发生的事情 |
[2:09:01] | We are taking what we believe are factually | 我们采取的是我们认为 |
[2:09:04] | appropriate steps. | 切合实际的步骤 |
[2:09:07] | Amid a flurry of accusations and counter-accusations | 混乱的指责与反指责局面已经 |
[2:09:10] | by the nations representing the Machine Consortium | 使参与机器协会的各国都卷入其中 |
[2:09:13] | the President has ordered a special inquiry. | 总统下令对此展开特别调查 |
[2:09:16] | But the appointment to the committee of Michael Kitz | 但是 业已辞去国家安全顾问的麦克尔·克茨 |
[2:09:19] | who has resigned as National Security Advisor | 被任命为调查委员之一 |
[2:09:22] | has raised eyebrows on Capitol Hill. | 此事引起国会的质疑 |
[2:09:24] | I have made no decision to run for Congress, announced no candidacy. | 我尚未决定竞选国会议席 也未宣布计划参选 |
[2:09:28] | I resigned as National Security Advisor | 我辞去国家安全顾问的职务 |
[2:09:32] | in order to devote all of my energy to this inquiry. | 是为了全身心地投入调查工作 |
[2:09:37] | The people of the world have a right to know what really happened. | 世界人民有权了解事实真相 |
[2:09:42] | Yet every scientific instrument confirms | 然而 所有科学设备都证实 |
[2:09:45] | the IPV was out of contact for only a fraction of a second. | 乘员舱失去联络的时间不到一秒钟 |
[2:09:49] | Isn’t that correct, Doctor? | 不是吗 博士? |
[2:09:53] | A fraction of a second Earth time, yes. | 不到地球时间的一秒钟 是这样 |
[2:09:56] | Earth time? | 地球时间? |
[2:09:58] | Senator, I believe that the Machine opened up a wormhole | 参议员 我相信该机器当时造成了一个蛀洞 |
[2:10:02] | a tunnel through space-time, also known as an Einstein-Rossen Bridge. | 一个穿越时空的隧道 那也叫做”爱因斯坦-罗森”桥 |
[2:10:07] | Due to the effect of general relativity,what I experienced as 18 hours | 根据广义相对论效应 我所经历的十八个小时 |
[2:10:11] | passed instantaneously on Earth. | 在地球上只不过是一瞬间 |
[2:10:13] | Isn’t it true these wormholes are merely theoretical predictions? | 蛀洞无非是理论推测 不是吗? |
[2:10:18] | There is no evidence they actually exist? | 且毫无证据表明它们的存在? |
[2:10:21] | There is no direct evidence, no. | 尚无直接证据 对的 |
[2:10:23] | Tell me | 请告诉我 |
[2:10:24] | why would these aliens go to all this trouble? | 这些外星人找这么多麻烦干吗? |
[2:10:28] | Bring you thousands of light years, then send you home without proof? | 带你穿越数千光年 然后让你空着手回家 |
[2:10:33] | They said it’s how it’s been done for billions of years. | 他们说 亿万年来事情就是如此 |
[2:10:36] | You have no proof because they didn’t want you to have any. | 你没有证据 因为他们不希望这样 |
[2:10:40] | A phenomenon known in psychiatric circles as a self-reinforcing delusion. | 心理学界定义了一个现象:自强化妄想症 |
[2:10:45] | You think I was delusional? | 你说我有妄想症? |
[2:10:47] | I do think you may have suffered some kind of an episode. Yes, I do. | 我的确认为你可能患有某种症状 是的 |
[2:10:51] | I’d like to propose an alternate hypothesis | 我打算提出另一个假说 |
[2:10:54] | and I’d like you to bring your scientific expertise to bear on it. | 并且希望你能够科学地加以分析 |
[2:10:58] | To fake a signal from Vega | 若要伪造来自织女星的信号 |
[2:11:02] | what would you need? | 你需要些什么? |
[2:11:05] | You’d need a satellite to transmit it, but it would be impossible to | 需要一颗卫星来传送信号 不过那不可能– |
[2:11:09] | You’d need a satellite and launch capabilities to orbit it. | 需要的是一颗卫星及发射能力将其送入轨道 |
[2:11:13] | And the message itself. To put something like this together | 至于信息本身 为了编造这些 |
[2:11:17] | so complex, drawing on many disciplines | 这样复杂 要求跨学科的 |
[2:11:19] | Would be impossible. | 不可能吗? |
[2:11:22] | Impossible? | 不可能吗? |
[2:11:24] | Is there anyone who might have been up to the challenge? | 就没人能够达到这个要求吗? |
[2:11:28] | Someone with extraordinary technical expertise | 比如某人 具备高超技术知识 |
[2:11:31] | enormous financial resources | 巨大的经济实力 |
[2:11:33] | someone perverse enough, eccentric enough to come up with the idea? | 兼性格乖僻 足以构思这样的主意 |
[2:11:39] | Hadden? | 哈登? |
[2:11:41] | S. R. Hadden. | S·R·哈登 |
[2:11:48] | You’re implying that this was | 你是说这是 |
[2:11:49] | some kind of a hoax? That he engineered this? | 是一个骗局? 是他编造的? |
[2:11:52] | S. R. Hadden | S·R·哈登 |
[2:11:54] | a legendary power broker in perhaps his final bid for immortality. | 一个传奇般的政治掮客 为自我不朽所下的最后赌注 |
[2:11:59] | Maybe he wanted to exploit new technologies | 也许是为了开发新技术 |
[2:12:02] | having world governments pick up the tab. | 却让各国政府掏腰包 |
[2:12:04] | Perhaps this was his final altruistic gesture | 也许是最后的利他主义姿态 |
[2:12:07] | to unite the world in some common goal. Maybe all of the above. | 以联合全世界追求一个共同目标 也许 上述全部 |
[2:12:11] | S. R. Hadden, a brilliant | S·R·哈登 是杰出的 |
[2:12:14] | and complicated man. | 也是复杂的一个人 |
[2:12:18] | Doctor, are you familiar with the scientific precept | 博士 你是否熟悉这样一个概念 |
[2:12:23] | known as Occam’s Razor? | 所谓的”奥卡姆剃刀”? |
[2:12:31] | Yes. | 了解的 |
[2:12:34] | It means the simplest explanation generally tends to be the right one. | 那是说最简单的解释往往是正确的 |
[2:12:39] | Exactly. | 正是如此 |
[2:12:41] | You tell me. What is more likely here? | 请告诉我 对此 哪一个更正确呢? |
[2:12:44] | A message from aliens results in a magical machine | 来自外星人的消息造就一台魔术机器 |
[2:12:47] | that whisks you to the center of the galaxy | 把你带到银河系的中央 |
[2:12:50] | to windsurf with Dad and a split second later | 和父亲一起兜风 眨眼之间 |
[2:12:53] | returns you home without a single shred of proof? | 送你回到地球 却没有丝毫证据? |
[2:12:57] | Or that your experience is the result of being | 或者 你的经历不过是 |
[2:13:01] | the unwitting star in the farewell performance of one | 作为一名天真的演员 参加S·R·哈登的 |
[2:13:04] | S.R. Hadden? | 告别演出? |
[2:13:05] | A man with the means and motive to play you and all of us | 这样一个人 既有能力也有动机来捉弄你以及我们大家 |
[2:13:09] | as pawns in the most elaborate, most expensive hoax of all time? | 成为有史以来最为高明 最为昂贵的骗局的牺牲品 |
[2:13:19] | You come to us with no evidence, no records | 你没有给我们带来证据 也没有录像 |
[2:13:23] | no artifacts | 更没有人工制品 |
[2:13:25] | only a story that, to put it mildly, strains credibility. | 只有一个 宽容地说 可信度很成问题的故事 |
[2:13:31] | Over half a trillion dollars were spent. | 开支超过五千亿美元 |
[2:13:34] | Dozens of lives were lost. | 数十人丧命 |
[2:13:38] | Are you going to sit there and tell us we should just take this all | 你就坐那儿跟我们说 |
[2:13:43] | on faith? | 为一个信仰接受这一切? |
[2:13:48] | Please answer the question, Doctor. | 请回答问题 博士 |
[2:13:55] | Is it possible that it didn’t happen? | 是不是可能那根本没有发生过? |
[2:13:57] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:14:01] | As a scientist I must concede that. I must volunteer that. | 作为科学家我必须承认 必须自愿承认这一点 |
[2:14:09] | Let me get this straight. | 让我直说了吧 |
[2:14:10] | You admit you have no physical evidence to back up your story? | 你承认 你没有客观证据支持你的说法? |
[2:14:15] | Yes. | 我承认 |
[2:14:16] | You admit you may have hallucinated this whole thing? | 你承认这一切都是你的幻觉喽? |
[2:14:20] | You admit if you were in our position | 你承认 假设你居于我们的地位 |
[2:14:22] | you would be as incredulous and skeptical as we? | 也同样对此表示怀疑? |
[2:14:27] | Then why don’t you simply withdraw your testimony and concede | 那么 为什么你不干脆撤回证词 并承认 |
[2:14:32] | that this journey to the center of the galaxy never took place? | 前往银河系中心的旅行根本就不曾发生过? |
[2:14:39] | Because I can’t. | 因为我不能 |
[2:14:47] | I had an experience. | 我有这样的经历 |
[2:14:52] | I can’t prove it. I can’t even explain it. | 我无法证实它 也无法解释 |
[2:14:55] | But everything I know as a human being, everything I am | 但是作为人类的一员 我全身心感觉到的 |
[2:14:58] | tells me it was real. | 都告诉我那是真实的 |
[2:15:03] | I was given something wonderful, something that changed me forever. | 我被赐予这样美妙的东西 它将改变我的一切 |
[2:15:07] | A vision | 一个预见 |
[2:15:09] | of the universe | 关于宇宙的预见 |
[2:15:11] | that tells us undeniably | 肯定地告诉我们 |
[2:15:14] | how tiny and insignificant | 我们是何等地渺小和微不足道 |
[2:15:16] | and how rare and precious we all are. | 然而我们又是何等地稀罕和珍贵 |
[2:15:21] | A vision that tells us that we belong to something | 一个预见 我们属于这样的事物 |
[2:15:24] | that is greater than ourselves, that none of us are alone. | 它比我们自身更伟大 它使无人再感到孤单 |
[2:15:34] | I wish I could share that. | 我希望我能与人分享 |
[2:15:40] | I wish | 我希望 |
[2:15:43] | that everyone, if even for one | 每个人 即使短暂 |
[2:15:46] | moment | 一瞬 |
[2:15:47] | could feel | 可以感觉到 |
[2:15:49] | that awe and humility and hope. | 那畏惧 卑微以及希望 |
[2:16:01] | That continues to be my wish. | 这 将一直是我的愿望 |
[2:16:45] | Dr. Arroway, can I get a picture, please. | 阿洛维博士 拍张照行吗? |
[2:17:30] | Reverend Joss! | 乔斯神父! |
[2:17:31] | What do you believe?! | 您相信的是什么?! |
[2:17:38] | As a person of faith, I’m bound by a different covenant than Dr. Arroway. | 作为具有信仰的人 我所奉行的与阿洛维博士不同 |
[2:17:44] | But our goal is one and the same. | 但是我们拥有一个共同的目标 |
[2:17:47] | The pursuit of truth. | 寻求真理 |
[2:17:52] | I, for one, believe her. | 我 是相信她的 |
[2:18:17] | So what happens now? We give her a medal? | 现在怎么办呢?授给她勋章吗? |
[2:18:20] | I’d say at least a healthy grant. | 我觉得 至少要给一大笔经费吧 |
[2:18:23] | You read the confidential report from the investigating committee? | 你看过调查委员会的秘密报告吧? |
[2:18:27] | I flipped through it. | 翻过一遍 |
[2:18:29] | I was very interested in the section on Arroway’s video unit. | 有关阿洛维博士的摄像机那一节 令我非常感兴趣 |
[2:18:34] | The one that recorded the static. | 记录下静电噪音的那一个 |
[2:18:37] | Continue. | 说下去 |
[2:18:40] | The fact that it recorded static isn’t what interests me. | 我感兴趣的倒不是它记录了静电噪音这一事实 |
[2:18:48] | Continue. | 说下去 |
[2:18:51] | What interests me | 令我感兴趣的 |
[2:18:53] | is that it recorded approximately 18 hours of it. | 是它记录了大约十八个小时的静电噪音 |
[2:19:02] | That is interesting, isn’t it? | 真有意思 不是吗? |
[2:19:10] | And you can see over there, we’re building 45 brand new dishes. | 大家看到了 那边正在建造四十五台全新的天线 |
[2:19:14] | That means when you put them together with all the radio telescopes | 就是说 把它们与世界上 |
[2:19:18] | all over the world | 各式各样的射电望远镜组合起来 |
[2:19:20] | we’ll hear farther into space than anyone has ever heard before. | 我们将能够听到太空深处前所未闻的声音 |
[2:19:26] | Are there other people out there in the universe? | 宇宙里还有其他的人吗? |
[2:19:30] | That’s a good question. | 问得好 |
[2:19:31] | What do you think? | 你怎么想呢? |
[2:19:33] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[2:19:35] | That’s a good answer. | 回答正确 |
[2:19:38] | Skeptic, huh? | 怀疑论者 是吧? |
[2:19:40] | The important thing is that you all keep searching for your own answers. | 重要的是 大家都要自己寻找答案 |
[2:19:45] | One thing about the universe, though. | 不过 关于宇宙倒有一样 |
[2:19:48] | The universe | 宇宙 |
[2:19:50] | is a pretty big place. | 是相当大的 |
[2:19:53] | It’s bigger than anything | 大过任何东西 |
[2:19:55] | anyone has ever dreamed of before. | 任何人都想不出那有多大 |
[2:20:00] | So if it’s just us | 那么 假如里面只有我们 |
[2:20:03] | it seems like an awful waste of space. | 那就太浪费地方了 |
[2:20:07] | Right? | 对吗? |