时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | 1.30.1958 | 1958年1月30日 |
[00:10] | How’d you fare down at Fort Benning,Mr.Bellowes? | 你在Benning堡美军基地过得怎样 Bellowes先生? |
[00:12] | Held my own,sir. | 一切都靠自己努力 先生 |
[00:14] | Managed two degrees inside of five years. | 5年内获得了两个学位 |
[00:16] | Studied straight through the summers,thanks to the GI Bill. | 暑期也在学习 都靠了退伍军人权利法案 二战后美国政府对退役军人提供教育贷款 和赠款 帮助他们获得高等教育的资历 |
[00:19] | All while working part-time over at Dexter Broadman Advertising,I see. | 你同时还在Dexter Broadman广告公司兼职 |
[00:23] | I joined their creative side full-time after Wharton. | 我上完沃顿商学院就全职加入 他们的创意团队 |
[00:27] | I’m surprised you want to write ads for our little family operation. | 你想为我们这种家族小公司写广告 我很意外 |
[00:31] | Well,I’m not one for three-martini lunches,sir. | 我不崇尚奢侈生活 先生 |
[00:34] | I have bigger ideas,and I know how to sell them. | 我有好点子 也知道怎么推销它们 |
[00:37] | Such as? | 比如? |
[00:38] | Well,Mr.Kemp,there’s a housing shortage here in Philly. | Kemp先生 费城存在住房短缺 |
[00:41] | I came out of the service with Uncle Sam backing my first mortgage | 退役后 国家为我支付了第一次抵押 |
[00:45] | and not a patch of ground in this city to plant my flag,and I am not alone. | 而不是这城里的某块土地让我站稳脚跟 类似经历的人不止我一个 |
[00:48] | I don’t want to build high-rises. | 我不想建高层住宅 |
[00:50] | I’m talkg about houses,sir. | 我是说独栋别墅 先生 |
[00:52] | Neighborhoods of good men and their families. | 邻居都是好人家 |
[00:54] | I want to make you the Henry Ford of housing. | 我想让你成为房产界的亨利福特 |
[00:56] | How exactly do you plan to do that? | 你究竟是怎么计划的? |
[00:59] | Well,I’d like to show you. | 我希望能展示给你看 |
[01:01] | You’re gonna have to take a ride with me. | 你得跟我走一趟 |
[01:10] | Last summer,blight wrecked the corn and potato crops as far as the eye can see. | 去年夏天 枯萎病毁掉了你目所能及的 所有玉米和土豆 |
[01:14] | There’s 5,500 acres sitting in the bargain bin. | 这有5500英亩土地等着低价出手 |
[01:18] | Get to the point,son. | 说重点 孩子 |
[01:19] | Cities are crowded,dirty… built on grids. | 城市里拥挤 肮脏 满是高压线路 |
[01:23] | Out here,the streets’ll be peaceful,winding,named after colleges,flowers,pretty girls. | 但这里 街道宁静而蜿蜒 以学校 鲜花 美女的名字来命名 |
[01:28] | Picture them lined with ranch-style houses. | 想象一下田园风格的民宅依街而建 |
[01:32] | Out front,a bright-green yard and an apple tree. | 在屋前 绿草如茵 种着苹果树 |
[01:36] | We’ll run a print campaign. | 我们印发传单 |
[01:38] | We’ll-we’ll open a… a showroom with plenty of fanfare, | 设计一个样板间做些夸张的效果 |
[01:41] | and we’ll call it… Libertyville. | 命名为… 自由郡 |
[01:45] | And when the good people of Libertyville want groceries, | 这些自由郡的好人们想要买杂货 |
[01:49] | – a haircut or,God forbid,a school… – We build those,too! | – 理发店 或学校之类… – 我们也会建的! |
[01:52] | Shopping plazas with-with plenty of parking. | 购物中心 附带足够大的停车场 |
[01:55] | Recreation centers where kids can play baseball. | 孩子可以打棒球的娱乐中心 |
[01:58] | It’ll be a whole new way of life: the suburbs. | 这将是生活的新方式: 市郊住宅区 |
[02:01] | Any thoughts on financing this boondoggle? | 你考虑过如何筹钱盖这些多余建筑? |
[02:04] | They’ll buy on spec. | 他们会以特价购买的 |
[02:07] | Home ownership… is the cornerstone of the American dream. | 拥有自己的家…是美国梦的奠基石 |
[02:11] | It is what makes a man a man. | 让一个男人成为真正的男子汉 |
[02:14] | You trust me,sir. | 你相信我 先生 |
[02:17] | We will sell out before we break ground. | 我们在破土动工前就会售完的 |
[02:57] | Lilly,this is Mrs.Chisholm. | Lilly 这是Chisholm太太 |
[03:00] | She’s got information on a murder victim found out in Somerton in ’58. | 她有1958年Somerton一件凶杀案的线索 |
[03:04] | I’m Detective Rush. | 我是Rush警探 |
[03:06] | Hello.Thank you. | 你好 谢谢 |
[03:09] | His name was Julian Bellowes. | 他叫Julian Bellowes |
[03:11] | Met him when I first started out as a maid. | 我第一次做女佣时认识他的 |
[03:13] | Gracious young man.Worked for Harrison Kemp. | 优雅懂礼的年轻人 为Harrison Kemp工作 |
[03:16] | Married the boss’s daughter. | 和他老板的女儿结了婚 |
[03:18] | Harrison Kemp built Libertyville,big suburban development in Somerton. | Harrison Kemp建造了自由郡 Somerton的大型郊区住宅区 |
[03:21] | Is that where you met him? | 你是在那遇见他的? |
[03:22] | No.The Kemps were members of the Senators Club in Center City. | 不是 Kemp家是市中心参议院俱乐部的会员 |
[03:27] | That’s where I worked. | 我在那工作 |
[03:28] | Place is a real “Who’s Who. | 那地方去的都是名人 |
[03:30] | ” The thing is,they said Julian was killed out in the boonies, | 是这样 据说Julian是在郊区遇害的 |
[03:34] | – but I think it happened right there at the club. – Why is that? | – 但我觉得凶杀案就发生在俱乐部里 – 为什么? |
[03:38] | The night before they found Julian,I was on my way to clean the Legacy Room | 他们发现Julian那晚 我正要去打扫陈列室 |
[03:42] | after one of Mr.Kemp’s business meetings when I saw Julian go back inside. | Kemp先生刚在那谈完一桩生意 我看到Julian回到屋里 |
[03:47] | As soon as the door closes,a fight break out. | 门刚关上 里面就打了起来 |
[03:52] | All kinds of yelling,g-glass breaking. | 吼叫声 玻璃破碎的声音 |
[03:55] | – What’d you do? – Ran for help. | – 你做了什么? – 跑去找人帮忙 |
[03:57] | Nobody around. | 附近都没人 |
[03:59] | I got back… didn’t hear a peep. | 我回去时…里面一点声响都没有 |
[04:03] | So I looked inside. | 所以我就进去看 |
[04:22] | Never saw a meeting end like that. | 从没看过一次谈判搞成那样 |
[04:24] | You know who else was in there? | 你知道还有谁在屋里吗? |
[04:26] | Got a list. | 有份名单 |
[04:28] | Been thinking about it 50 years. | 我50年来一直在想这个 |
[04:30] | You tell your boss? | 你告诉你老板了吗? |
[04:31] | He said,”Clean up and shut up” if I wanted to keep my job. | 他说要是想保住饭碗就”扫干净闭上嘴” |
[04:36] | Mrs.Chisholm,why did you wait so long to come forward? | Chisholm太太 你为何等了这么久才来? |
[04:40] | Just saw my doctor. | 我刚见了医生 |
[04:43] | Time to get my house in order. | 是时候安排身后事了 |
[04:51] | If walls could talk,I’m thinking these wouldn’t. | 如果墙能说话 我想这些墙也不想说 |
[04:55] | The manager says the room has barely changed in the last 50 years. | 经理说这房间50年来没怎么变动过 |
[04:58] | Picking up on a theme here. | 言归正传吧 |
[05:00] | Mary said Julian walked through the door to find his killer waiting. | Mary说Julian走进这扇门 发现凶手在等他 |
[05:04] | Guy approaches.They get into it. | 那人走近他 他们扭打起来 |
[05:08] | Couple of swings right here. | 在这边挥了几拳 |
[05:12] | Somebody… crashes into this. | 有人… 击碎了这个 |
[05:14] | The glass Mary said she heard breaking. | 这是Mary听到打碎的玻璃 |
[05:18] | This panel’s different.Been replaced with safety glass. | 颜色不太一样 他们换了防碎玻璃 |
[05:22] | Old leaded stuff breaks in shards,would have crashed down. | 老式含铅玻璃碎了 应该会掉在地上 |
[05:26] | Evidence from 50 years ago… is hard to come by. | 50年前的证据… 很难取证了 |
[05:34] | Unless it has a place to hide. | 除非它能藏在哪个角落里 |
[05:45] | I got it. | 我来 |
[05:57] | Walls may not talk,but the floor’s got something say. | 墙也许不会开口 可地板有话要说 |
[06:02] | Residue… could be blood. | 残留物… 有可能是血 |
[06:04] | Mary’s right. | Mary是对的 |
[06:06] | Whatever ended in that field started right here. | 郊区命案起源于这里 |
[06:46] | “Libertyville.The American dream called home. | “自由郡 叫做家园的美国梦” |
[06:49] | Some American dream. | 了不起的美国梦 |
[06:51] | 34-year-old Julian Bellowes,throat slit out in the middle of nowhere. | Julian Bellowes 34岁 在荒野被割喉 |
[06:54] | My aunt and uncle were Libertyville pioneers. | 我姨母和姨夫是自由郡的最早居民 |
[06:57] | One night my Uncle Don has too much to drink and walks into the wrong house. | 有一晚我姨夫Don喝多了 走进了别人家 |
[07:00] | They all looked exactly alike. | 那些房子看起来都一样 |
[07:04] | The wife… Caroline Kemp.Handsome couple. | 他妻子 Caroline Kemp 漂亮的一对 |
[07:07] | ME says the victim’s injury was caused by a serrated blade or glass. | 鉴证科说死者伤痕由锯状利器或玻璃造成 |
[07:11] | The evidence you found in the Legacy Room could be our murder weapon. | 你在陈列室找到的证据也许是凶器 |
[07:14] | So,he’s killed at the club,then moved 15 miles to Libertyville? | 就是说他在俱乐部遇害 然后被运去15英里外的自由郡? |
[07:17] | No I-95 back then.Somerton was an hour’s drive away. | 那时可没有I-95州际公路 到Somerton得开1小时 |
[07:21] | Felt like another planet. | 好像去外星那么远 |
[07:22] | Couple of locals reported a drifter.Victim’s wallet was missing. | 有几份当地报纸说是流浪汉干的 死者的钱包没了 |
[07:26] | Assigned was thinking robbery. | 当时的警察觉得也许是抢劫 |
[07:27] | A robbery on a farm in the middle of nowhere?How’s that happen? | 在荒野上的农田里抢劫? 怎么可能? |
[07:31] | Julian’s headed out there for business,picks up this drifter. | Julian去那办事 捎带上了流浪汉 |
[07:33] | Car was found near the body. | 车就在尸体附近 |
[07:35] | Let’s see if the lab can get a DNA sample from his wedding band,compare it to the glass samples we gave ’em. | 看实验室能否从婚戒上提取到DNA 跟碎玻璃样本作比对 |
[07:41] | Anything from the list Mary Chisholm gave us? | Mary Chisholm给我们的名单上 查到什么了吗? |
[07:43] | Maybe.Um,two people stood out. | 也许吧 有两个可疑的人 |
[07:45] | Angelo Romano and his son Paul. | Angelo Romano和他的儿子Paul |
[07:48] | Yep.Those Romanos. | 对 就是那个Romano 建筑界的重要家族 |
[07:53] | ******** | 一直盈利 能操纵市场 |
[07:56] | Is that all we got? | 我们知道的就这么点? |
[07:58] | Julian’s at the Senators Club night before his body’s found; | Julian死前那晚在参议院俱乐部 |
[08:01] | Kemps are lifelong members there; and not a single statement from the place? | Kemp家是那里的终身会员 那里连个口供都没录过? |
[08:05] | No interviews with the victim’s family,either. | 死者的家属也没有口供 |
[08:07] | Why is this box so light? | 这案卷盒为什么这么轻? |
[08:10] | Good question,Lil.Let me know when you find out. | 问得好 Lil 找到答案就告诉我 |
[08:21] | Well,I have to admit I was surprised by your call. | 我得承认接到你们的电话我很吃惊 |
[08:24] | The police didn’t seem to pay attention when my husband was killed,never mind 50 years later. | 我丈夫被杀时警察没怎么上心 更别说50年之后了 |
[08:30] | Hope to make up for that the second time around. | 希望这次能弥补上次的不足 |
[08:32] | My mother was only 22 when he was killed.She was pregnant with me. | 他被害时我妈妈只有22岁 已经怀了我 |
[08:37] | Completely distraught and… not much use to the investigation,I’m afraid. | 我完全疯了…对调查没什么帮助 |
[08:42] | Oh,it was… it was a difficult time. | 那时…那时候很难熬 |
[08:45] | VALENS: There’s no interviews from your husband’s coworkers or family. | 我们没有你丈夫的同事或家人的口供 |
[08:48] | Cops ever talk to you? | 警察没跟你谈过吗? |
[08:49] | Only to tell me that Julian had been murdered by a drifter. | 他们只告诉我Julian被流浪汉杀死了 |
[08:53] | Your father was Julian’s boss. | 你父亲是Julian的上司 |
[08:55] | Any idea why he wouldn’t have given a statement? | 知道他为什么没有做口供吗? |
[08:57] | Are you saying there was some sort of misconduct? | 你是说当时警察有什么处理不当吗? |
[08:59] | No,we got some… blanks to fill is all. | 不是 我们有些…情况要了解 |
[09:02] | Well,Julian was estranged from his family. | Julian和他家比较疏远 |
[09:05] | He was close with mine.I guess silence was my family’s way of… of grieving. | 他和我家很亲近 也许沉默是我家特有的默哀方式 |
[09:11] | We’ got a witness came forward. | 我们有证人说 |
[09:13] | Heard your husband in a fight at the Senators Club night before he died. | 听到你丈夫在死前那晚 在参议院俱乐部和人打架 |
[09:16] | He was at the club for a business meeting with these men. | 他去俱乐部是为了和这些人谈生意 |
[09:19] | Recognize any of them? | 你认识他们吗? |
[09:23] | Well… there’s… Paulomano. | 我认识… Paul Romano |
[09:26] | Isn’t he the guy you were dating when you met Daddy? | 这不是你遇见爸爸前的那个男友吗? |
[09:30] | A romance cultivated chiefly to drive my father around the bend. | 这段快速发展的恋情快把我爸逼疯了 |
[09:35] | No,it all changed the moment I saw Julian. | 但在我遇见Julian的那一刻 一切都变了 |
[09:38] | Three’s a crowd? | 三人行太挤了? |
[09:39] | Paul didn’t have a chance. | Paul根本没机会 |
[09:42] | (“It Looks Like Love” by Dean Martin playing) | |
[09:52] | Cocktail? | 要鸡尾酒? |
[09:54] | Paul,not here. | Paul 快收起来 |
[09:56] | It’s my father’s birthday,for heaven’s sake. | 看在上帝份上 今天是我爸爸生日 |
[09:58] | So let’s take a walk. | 那我们出去走走吧 |
[10:00] | He’s gonna be 60 all year,right? | 他这一年都是60岁 不是吗? |
[10:02] | Maybyou’d like some champagne instead? | 或者你想来点香槟? |
[10:07] | I thought I’d die of thirst. | 我觉得我都快渴死了 |
[10:09] | I hate to think of you being neglected. | 我真不愿看到没人注意到你 |
[10:12] | Think I can look after my own date.Not from where I’m standing. | – 我能照顾好我的女伴 – 我看没有 |
[10:16] | Well,Paul doesn’t cha-cha. | Paul不会跳恰恰 |
[10:18] | Well,then he won’t mind warming the bench now,will you,sport? | 那他不介意坐冷板凳了 是吗? |
[10:21] | – Caroline. – Daddy. | – 爸爸 |
[10:23] | This is Julian Bellowes. | 他是Julian Bellowes |
[10:26] | I see he beat me to an introduction. | 看起来他抢在我前面自我介绍了 |
[10:28] | You’re the “Ivy League genius” my father’s been raving about? | 你就是那个我爸常赞许的”常春藤天才”? |
[10:33] | I was picturing Coke-bottle glasses. | 我一直想象你戴着酒瓶底眼镜 |
[10:35] | Well,I could go home and get ’em,if you’d like. | 要是你喜欢 我就回家去拿 |
[10:39] | Julian grew up a stone’s throw from Rittenhouse Square,graduated Wharton. | Julian在Rittenhouse广场附近长大 毕业于沃顿商学院 |
[10:44] | We have so much to talk about. | 我们有好多可以聊的话题啊 |
[10:46] | Then shall we? | 那我们去聊吧? |
[10:58] | Julian made me feel like I was the only woman in the room. | Julian让我觉得我是房间里唯一的女人 |
[11:04] | We were engaged a month later. | 我们一个月后就订婚了 |
[11:06] | I take it Paul wasn’t too happy with your whirlwind romance. | 我想Paul对你旋风般的爱情不怎么高兴 |
[11:09] | Oh,he was angry,all right. | 他当然很生气 |
[11:11] | So angry he slashed Daddy’s tires that night in the parking lot,right? | 那晚在停车场他气得划破了爸爸的轮胎 是吗? |
[11:15] | Julian was too much of a gentleman to call the police. | Julian很有教养 没有叫警察 |
[11:23] | Caroline Kemp.She was a catch. | Caroline Kemp 她是个美人 |
[11:27] | If you’re into debutante types. | 如果你喜欢初入社交界的菜鸟 |
[11:30] | Saying you didn’t mind Julian Bellows making tracks with her? | 你不介意Julian Bellows勾搭上她? |
[11:32] | Making tracks? | 勾搭她? |
[11:34] | The girl was a prude. | 那女孩是个假正经 |
[11:35] | My dog Snowflake had a better sex life than I did when I was going with her. | 跟她在一起时 我的狗”雪花”的性生活都比我好 |
[11:40] | So,why did you slash his tires? | 那你为什么划他的轮胎? |
[11:42] | Big difference between slashing Goodyears and killing someone. | 划破固特异轮胎跟杀人有很大分别 |
[11:46] | Yeah,except Julian’s throat was slashed,too. | 没错 不过Julian的喉咙也被划破了 |
[11:48] | You making some kind of implication? | 你是在暗示什么吗? |
[11:50] | You got anger management issues with the guy, | 对他 你不能控制自己的愤怒 |
[11:52] | and I got a witness that puts you at a meeting with him the night before he’s dead. | 有证人说你在他被害前那晚 和他进行会谈 |
[11:54] | That’s circumstantial. | 那是个巧合 |
[11:56] | Here’s a circumstance for you. | 那告诉你个事实 |
[11:58] | Hear Romano Construction specializes in cement shoes. | 听说Romano建筑公司专营水泥材料 |
[12:01] | We start sniffing around your sites,we gonna find a body fresher than ’58? | 要是在你们公司附近找找 会找到1958年的尸体吗? |
[12:06] | Truth is… I felt bad for the kid. | 事实上… 我为那孩子难过 |
[12:10] | Getting in bed with that Protestant family? | 跟那个新教家庭共枕而眠? |
[12:14] | You meet those people? | 你见过他们吗? |
[12:16] | They give you frostbite just looking at you… | 他们看你一眼都能让你起冻疮… |
[12:20] | 30% off the top of my housing sales is unacceptable. | 要房产营业额的30% 我不能接受 |
[12:24] | That’s even more than last year. | 这比去年还多 |
[12:27] | We been supplying you quality building materials over 16 years. | 我们16年来都在给你们提供 高质的建筑材料 |
[12:32] | Without Romano Construction,you’re nothing but blueprints. | 没有Romano建筑公司 你们除了一纸蓝图什么也没有 |
[12:35] | Capasso Brothers in Camden is offering us a better price with no profit share. | 卡姆登郡的Capasso兄弟公司 要价更合理 而且不要求分红 |
[12:39] | The Capassos don’t care about your safety the way I do. | Capassos不像我们这样 注重你们的建筑安全 |
[12:53] | We accept your offer. | 我们接受你的出价 |
[12:56] | What? | 什么? |
[12:59] | Now listen here,Bellowes. | 听着 Bellowes |
[13:00] | – Dad,he can’t just come in here… – No,Harry.Not now. | – 爸爸 他不能就这么… – 别 Harry 现在不要 |
[13:04] | Go ahead. | 继续说 |
[13:06] | We’ll pay your cut on our builds in town in exchange for complete control of our profits in Somerton. | 你可以抽取市区房屋的销售所得 作为交换 我们要全权获得Somerton的利润 |
[13:13] | Somerton? | |
[13:14] | What,now you’re going to sell horse manure? | 怎么 你们打算卖马饲料赚钱? |
[13:22] | You got a deal. | 成交 |
[13:25] | Keep your spazzatura farmland and God bless. | 看管好你的垃圾农田 愿上帝保佑你 |
[13:37] | For the Romanos,family is everything. | 对Romano家来说 家庭就是一切 |
[13:41] | But not those people.Kemp– he didn’t even know his son left the room. | 但那些人却不然 Kemp-他甚至 不知道他儿子离开了房间 |
[13:45] | So,Julian was squeezing Harry out of the family business? | 那么说 Julian把Harry 挤出了他的家族生意? |
[13:48] | Kid had the golden touch. | 那孩子很有生意头脑 |
[13:50] | That,uh,farmland up in Somerton? | 那片在Somerton的农田吗? |
[13:52] | That’s Libertyville now. | 就是现在的自由郡 |
[13:54] | My father gets his cut,we’d be havin’ this chat on my own private island. | 如果我父亲得到那份利润 我们现在就该在我的私人岛屿上谈话 |
[13:59] | You ever see Harry and Julian getting into it? | 你有没有见过Harry和Julian发生冲突? |
[14:01] | I saw Harry eating his heart out plenty,but it took Julian dying for Harry to get his seat back at the table. | Harry对他恨之入骨 但Julian死后 Harry才得以重回他的宝座 |
[14:19] | Can I help you? | 需要我帮忙吗? |
[14:22] | Philly Homicide.Thought we’d congratulate you on your promotion to Vice President. | 费城凶案组 恭喜你荣升公司副总裁 |
[14:27] | 50 years late.1960. | 说晚了50年 那是1960年的事了 |
[14:29] | ’58,actually. | 确切来说是1958年 |
[14:31] | ** | 11月30日 我们在费城商业周刊 找到了相关消息 |
[14:35] | *** | 那又怎样? |
[14:37] | ******* | 你的妹夫Julian Bellowes被谋杀 三周后你便得到了升迁 |
[14:42] | Where were you,night before his body was found? | 他遇害前一晚 你在哪里? |
[14:44] | I don’t remember.To be honest,I lost a couple of years in there. | 不记得 老实说 那几年的事我都记不清了 |
[14:47] | Two of you get along all right? | 你们相处得来吗? |
[14:49] | Sure.He was my brother-in-law.Family,don’t you know? | 当然了 他是我妹夫 我们是一家人 懂不懂? |
[14:51] | Right.So,any chance you were with him at the Senators Club? | 那你有没有和他一起在参议员俱乐部? |
[14:54] | That’s where he was. | 他当时确实在那里 |
[14:56] | Uh… Told you I don’t remember. | 呃…我说了 我不记得了 |
[14:58] | Look at this.November 6,1958. | 看看这个 1958年11月6日 |
[15:02] | Got your autograph on a bar tab signeat midnight,same time a witness heard Julian fighting with someone in the Legacy Room. | 我们找到了你半夜在吧台签的账单 期间有人听见Julian和谁在陈列室打架 |
[15:08] | That much gin will rot your gut,Harry. | 杜松子酒给你壮了胆 Harry |
[15:11] | – Does other things too… – I don’t know where you’re going with this. | – 还有别的东西… – 我不知道你们想说什么 |
[15:14] | Julian made us a fortune.What was good for Kemp and Sons was good for me. | Julian为我们创造财富 这对Kemp公司有好处 对我有好处 |
[15:17] | Well,the guy leapfrogs you to Vice President, | 他抢在你前面当上了副总裁 |
[15:19] | gets tagd “Ivy League genius” by your father, | 你父亲评价他是”常春藤天才” |
[15:22] | and negotiates deals while you’re… stammering on the sidelines. | 当他与对方谈判时 你在一旁插不上话 |
[15:25] | That good for you? | 这也叫对你有好处? |
[15:27] | Slipping down the food chain like a clown on a Vaseline pole? | 你只能委身食物链下游 灰溜溜当小丑 |
[15:30] | Well,my ego got a little bruised,but I got over it. | 我的自尊一度受到伤害 但我很快便想开了 |
[15:34] | Besides,Julian did far worse to others. | 况且 Julian对其他人的威胁更大 |
[15:41] | So,we should have a contract in hand in under 15 minutes. | 15分钟内合同就能到手 |
[15:46] | There’s ladies in tears over the picture windows. | 有的女士甚至在落地窗前洒泪 |
[15:49] | Raw farmland,but they can already imagine the fruit trees. | 虽然只是未开发的农田 但她们可以想象未来的果树了 |
[15:52] | Give the people what they want,they stand in line for it,Harrison. | 向人们提供他们想要的 他们自然会排队购买 Harrison |
[15:55] | You think if we make you our vice president of sales,I can get you to call me Dad? | 如果我提升你做销售副总裁 你是否愿意叫我爸爸? |
[16:00] | You’re engaged to my daughter,after all. | 毕竟你和我女儿订婚了 |
[16:01] | – I’d be honored… Dad. – Take your pick. | – 不胜荣幸…爸爸 – 选一套房子吧 |
[16:05] | You and Caroline are going to need more room once you start a family. | 你和Caroline组织家庭后 你们需要更多的空间 |
[16:09] | Early wedding present. | 算是提前送你结婚礼物 |
[16:11] | Bunch of thieves stole my land!Been in my family over 200 years! | 这帮盗贼偷走了我的土地! 我的家族在这居住了200年! |
[16:15] | Juan Bellowes,Kemp and Sons. | 我是Kemp公司的Julian Bellowes |
[16:16] | Save the sales pitch,mister. | 甭给我来推销那一套 先生 |
[16:18] | Con man!Convinced my senile old granddad to sign on the dotted line. | 骗子! 欺骗我的老祖父在合同上签名 |
[16:23] | Don’t believe a word he says. | 他说的话一个字也别相信 |
[16:24] | If it is land you want,it is land you’ll get. | 你想要什么样的土地 就会得到什么样的土地 |
[16:27] | Please. | 拜托 |
[16:28] | Please,let me see what I can do for you. | 拜托 我看看可以怎样补偿你 |
[16:35] | Julian was trying to make it right. | Julian想把事情摆平 |
[16:37] | I mean,charming,full of ideas… Thosattributes were lost on that hick. | 但他的魅力 他的创意 对那个乡巴佬根本不起作用 |
[16:42] | Old McDonald got a name? | 老McDonald叫什么名字? |
[16:44] | Julian negotiated the deal. | Julian负责和他谈判 |
[16:46] | And you decided not to tell the cops about this incident,even when Julian shows up dead in the same neck of the woods? | Julian的尸体在附近被发现 你却没有向警察提起这件事? |
[16:53] | We were selling houses on spec. | 我们做的是预售房子的生意 |
[16:56] | If people thought we were robbing farmers of their land,it would have decimated sales. | 一旦人们误以为我们强占农田 销量就会一败涂地 |
[17:04] | VERA: Tracked down the families who sold their land to Kemp and Sons. | 我查了把土地卖给Kemp公司的农户 |
[17:06] | Casey Hollenbeck filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. | Casey Hollenbeck曾向商业信用局投诉 |
[17:09] | Arrested in ’62 for disorderly conduct. | 1962年以扰乱社会治安罪名被捕 |
[17:12] | Guy spent his life raising and slaughtering livestock so,he would have known his way around a knife. | 这家伙大半辈子都在畜养 屠宰牲畜 很清楚怎么用刀 |
[17:17] | Lived two miles from where Julian’s body was found. | 他家离发现Julian尸体的地点只有2里路 |
[17:19] | You,uh,check out any of those Libertyville homes while you were out there,Nick? | 你调查时有没顺道看看自由郡的房子? |
[17:22] | Matter of fact,saw a few “for sale” signs.Might look into it… | 实际上 我只看到几个”出售”牌子 我会继续留意… |
[17:26] | Well,interest rates are low… Time to act is now. | 现在银行利率很低…是时候出手了 |
[17:29] | Where is this Casey Hollenbeck today? | Casey Hollenbeck现在在哪里? |
[17:31] | Died in ’94. | 死于1994年 |
[17:33] | I’m looking for anyone who might have seen him at Julian’s office. | 我在找是否有人在Julian办公室见过他 |
[17:35] | Julian’s secretary still around? | Julian的秘书还在吗? |
[17:37] | Yeah,uh,Joan Rasky.On her way in now. | 是的 Joan Rasky 她马上就到 |
[17:40] | Lab report’s back.DNA from the glass in the heating vent doesn’t match Julian. | 实验室报告出来了 暖气口发现的 玻璃碎片上的DNA和Julian不吻合 |
[17:45] | Working on whose it might be.You have a swab from Harry? | – 正在查到底是谁的 – 抽取Harry的样本了吗? |
[17:47] | Paul Romano,too. | 还有Paul Romano的 |
[17:50] | What?I’m not going to sit in the corner and knit. | 怎么了? 我可不会坐在角落里打毛线 |
[17:53] | Pace yourself,Will.I don’t want you busting a stitch. | 慢慢来 Will 我可不想你的缝线裂开 |
[17:56] | Got Julian’s bank records. | 查到了Julian的银行记录 |
[17:58] | Guy wrote over $2,000 worth of checks to cash. | 他累计开出超过2000美元的支票 |
[18:01] | 100 bucks a week,every week leading up to his murder. | 每周100美元 直至他被杀 |
[18:04] | 2,000 clams.That’s a lot of cash back then. | 2000美刀 那时候可不是小数目 |
[18:06] | Gambling,mistress,drugs. | 赌博 情妇 嗑药 |
[18:09] | Or a payoff. | 或是还债 |
[18:11] | I worked with Mr.Bellowes from February of ’58 until he passed away that November. | 我从1958年2月起为Bellowes先生工作 直至他当年11月去世 |
[18:20] | A farmer out of Somerton,uh,Casey Hollenbeck,had a gripe with Julian. | 有个Somerton的农民 Casey Hollenbeck 和Julian有过争执 |
[18:26] | Did he ever show up at Julian’s office? | 他有没有到过Julian办公室? |
[18:28] | Angry as sin. | 简直怒不可遏 |
[18:30] | But Mr.Bellowes patched it up with him,of course. | 但Bellowe先生摆平了 当然 |
[18:33] | How did he do that? | 他怎么办到的? |
[18:35] | Well,he just explained that the city was sprawling north,whether he liked it or not, | 向他解释 无论他高兴与否 这个城市正在向北延伸 |
[18:40] | and he set his whole family up in Libertyville homes. | 然后他把他全家都安置到了自由郡 |
[18:43] | We found weekly checks made out to cash in his personal records. | 我们发现每周都有人兑现 从他私人账户开出的支票 |
[18:48] | Any chance Julian was paying him off? | 你知道Julian在给谁还债吗? |
[18:52] | You know,I really don’t have any information about his personal accounts,Detective. | 对于他的私人户头 我所知甚少 警探 |
[18:59] | Julian’s gone,Joan,and the person who killed him might still be out there. | Julian死了 Joan 凶手至今仍逍遥法外 |
[19:11] | I put those checks in the mail once a week,but not to a Mr.Hollenbeck. | 我每周都把支票寄出去 但不是给Hollenbeck先生 |
[19:19] | They were addressed to an R.Reynolds. | 而是寄给一位R.Reynolds |
[19:22] | Any idea who that was? | 你知道他是谁吗? |
[19:23] | I didn’t know,and I didn’t ask. | 我不知道 也没问 |
[19:26] | And then,one day,the answer came walking in. | 直至有一天 答案自动上门 |
[19:41] | I’m re to see Mr.Bellowes. | 我想见Bellowes先生 |
[19:45] | Your name? | 请问你是? |
[19:47] | Mrs. Regina Reynolds. | Regina Reyolds太太 |
[19:48] | I’m sorry,Mrs. Reynolds. Do you have an appointment? | 对不起 Reynolds太太 你有预约吗? |
[19:51] | It’s urgent. | 事情很紧急 |
[19:53] | Mr.Bellowes is behind closed doors at the moment. | Bellowes先生现在不方便会客 |
[19:58] | Well,you can let Mr.Bellowes know I am not one for causing a scene,but I amappy to give it a whirl. | 麻烦你转告他 我不想闹事 但我很乐意试一下 |
[20:15] | There’s a woman here to see you,Mr.Bellowes. | 有个女人要见你 Bellowes先生 |
[20:17] | She’s,um… a Negro. | 她是…一位黑人 |
[20:28] | What are you doing here?We have an agreement. | 你来干什么? 我们都说好的 |
[20:31] | – This can’t wait. – Now is not the time. | – 这事不能再拖了 – 现在不是时候 |
[20:33] | I’ll call you. | 我会打给你 |
[20:35] | I promise. | 我答应你 |
[20:40] | So,you can imagine the scandal in 1958. | 你可以想象 1958年这种事会招来多少非议 |
[20:44] | Do you happen to remember the address you sent those checks to? | 你还记得当年寄出支票的地址吗? |
[20:46] | I do.I typed it so many times it’s in the permanent file. | 记得 我打了无数遍 深深印在脑子里了 |
[20:51] | 2221 Robman Street. | Robman街2221号 |
[21:01] | Sorry I’m late. | 对不起 我迟到了 |
[21:02] | Thanks for joining me. | 谢谢你陪我吃饭 |
[21:04] | – Figured,as long as I was going to be in Philly, – well… I can’t pass up Chinese. | – 我以为 无论在费城呆多久… – 我无法抗拒中餐 |
[21:09] | Remember this place? | 还记得这个地方吗? |
[21:11] | Brought you here when you were a kid. | 你小时候我经常带你来 |
[21:13] | Used to have an aquarium by the door. | 以前门边有个金鱼缸 |
[21:15] | Oh,with the angelfish. | 里面有天使鱼 |
[21:18] | Christmas.We would come here at Christmastime. | 圣诞节 我们每个圣诞节都会来这里 |
[21:21] | Red lanterns– close as we were going to get to decorations. | 还有红灯笼– 非常有节日气氛 |
[21:29] | Still love the holidays. | 还是喜欢过节 |
[21:33] | Yeah. Sure. | 是的 当然 |
[21:40] | You know,she didn’t mess it all up. | 她并非完全不负责任 |
[21:44] | One year– I was six– well,we skipped the Chinese,but not the gin,and… | 有一年– 我6岁 我们没吃中餐 她喝了杜松子酒… |
[21:52] | and I helped her walk home,and she was so… sad. | 我扶着她走回家 她很…伤心 |
[21:57] | Said we didn’t have any money for presents,but when we got home,there was this bike on the steps. | 说我们没钱买礼物 但当我们回到家 台阶上停着一辆自行车 |
[22:04] | It was a red Huffy with a banana seat. | 是一辆红色的Huffy 有香蕉型座椅 |
[22:08] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[22:10] | Maybe she had some kind of pull with Santa. | 也许她和圣诞老人有交情 |
[22:14] | Why you looking at me like that? | 为什么这样看我? |
[22:16] | Ask Santa.I’m sworn to secrecy. | 问圣诞老人去 我发誓要保守秘密 |
[22:20] | I loved that bike. | 我喜欢那辆车 |
[22:24] | I,uh,went ahead and ordered. | 我没等你先点菜了 |
[22:27] | You need a menu or you know what you want? | 你要看菜单还是已确定要点什么了? |
[22:30] | Um,sesame noodles,Szechuan green beans and hot and sour soup. | 芝麻面 干煸四季豆 还有酸辣汤 |
[22:38] | Something I said? | 我说错话了吗? |
[22:40] | Great minds think alike. | 英雄所见略同 |
[22:43] | Sesame noodles. | 芝麻面 |
[22:45] | Szechuan green beans. | 干煸四季豆 |
[22:47] | Guess the soup’s still on its way. | 我想酸辣汤快送来了 |
[22:51] | Eat before they get cold. | 趁热吃吧 |
[22:57] | 2221 Robman Street. | Robman街2221号 |
[23:00] | Pissed-off white guy from work can’t handle Julian’s taste in women,follows him back to Regina’s place. | 公司有白人看不惯Julian挑选情人的眼光 尾随他来到Regina家 |
[23:07] | White guy? | 白人? |
[23:09] | How do you think Regina’s black husband was gonna take it? | 你觉得Regina的黑人丈夫会怎么想? |
[23:11] | His wife cheating on him with Julian. | 他老婆背着他和Julian偷情 |
[23:14] | You got a point. | 你说的有道理 |
[23:20] | Regina Reynolds? | |
[23:23] | Yes? | 什么事? |
[23:24] | Few questions about Julian Bellowes. | 我们有几个关于Julian Bellowes的问题 |
[23:27] | – Remember him? | – Remember him? – 记得他吗? – 记得谁? |
[23:30] | Two of you were involved? | 你俩有关系吗? |
[23:34] | Of course we were. | 当然有 |
[23:36] | Julian was my brother. | Julian是我哥哥 |
[23:43] | Our mother was Creole. | 我们的母亲是黑白混血 |
[23:46] | Plenty of light-skinned folks in our community,but Julian was by far the lightest. | 我们社区有很多浅肤色黑人 但Julian是最浅的一个 |
[23:52] | Kids gave him a hard time for not being black enough. | 因为不够黑 孩子们都为难他 |
[23:58] | Made him a man without a country. | 让他两个世界都不着落 |
[24:00] | How were things at home? | 家里情况如何? |
[24:02] | Julian came back from the service living as a white man. | Julian退役后以白人的身份生活 |
[24:06] | My father felt that he had lost his only son,but he never would have hurt him. | 我父亲觉得他失去了唯一的儿子 但他无论如何不会伤害他 |
[24:12] | What was so urgent,had you showing up at his office? | 有什么急事让你去办公室找他? |
[24:16] | Our father was dying. | 我父亲快要死了 |
[24:18] | I wanted Julian to know. | 我想通知Julian |
[24:20] | – Julian ever send you money? – Every week without fail. | – Julian给你们寄钱? – 每周都寄 从未爽约 |
[24:23] | Think it eased his conscience. | 我想那使他良心稍安 |
[24:25] | Of course,we would have traded every dime to have him around instead. | 当然 我们宁可一无所有 也希望他留在我们身边 |
[24:31] | Anyone you know find out what Julian was doing? | 有什么人发现Julian的事吗? |
[24:34] | Secret like that,it’s bound to catch up with you. | 像那种秘密 总有一天会暴露的 |
[24:41] | I see you got married. | 你结婚了 |
[24:45] | Her name’s Caroline. | 她叫Caroline |
[24:47] | She’s a wonderful girl. | 是个好女孩 |
[24:53] | How much longer does he have? | 他还有多少时间? |
[24:56] | Doctor says we’re at the end. | 医生说他已是弥留之际了 |
[24:58] | It’s not too late,Julian.It’s Daddy. | 还不晚 Julian 他是你父亲 |
[25:01] | He won’t want to see me. | 他不会想见我的 |
[25:07] | Caroline’s expecting. | Caroline很期待 |
[25:11] | We’re gonna have a baby. | 我们就要有个宝宝了 |
[25:12] | A baby?But what happens if… | 宝宝?万一… |
[25:14] | I haven’t been able to sleep in weeks. | 我几周来都无法入睡 |
[25:21] | Julian… you’ve got to get ahead of this. | Julian…你得提前做打算 |
[25:26] | Lieutenant Bellowes. | Bellowes中尉 |
[25:29] | George Watson from Fort Benning. | 我是Benning堡训练基地的George Watson |
[25:32] | I think you’re mistaken. | 我想你搞错了 |
[25:38] | No mistake about it. | 不可能 |
[25:40] | This is you,isn’t it? | 就是你 对吧? |
[25:45] | Wife sure is pretty. | 你妻子真漂亮 |
[25:46] | Sure have done well for yourself,Lieutenant Bellowes. | 你干得不错 Bellowes中尉 |
[25:49] | – Is there something I can help you with? – Come to think of it,there is. | – 有什么要我帮忙的吗? – 考虑下这个 |
[25:52] | Like to come to that office of yours sometime,catch up,talk business. | 比如我什么时候到你办公室去 见个面 谈谈生意 |
[25:59] | You have a card? | 你有名片吧? |
[26:05] | Call first,all right? | 先打电话 好吗? |
[26:14] | That was the last time I saw him. | 那是我最后一次见到他 |
[26:16] | He never got a chance to say good-bye to my father. | 他最终也没能见父亲最后一面 |
[26:20] | George Watson.He the one with the carpet company?Seen his ads. | George Watson 开地毯公司的那位? 我看过他的广告 |
[26:24] | That’s him.He was just getting started back then. | 是他 那时他刚刚起步 |
[26:27] | Why didn’t you tell the cops about this when you found out Julian was murdered? | Julian被害后你为何不把这些告诉警察? |
[26:30] | I was a stranger at my own brother’s funeral, | 在我哥哥的葬礼上 我是个陌生人 |
[26:35] | wondering who all those people were,what they meant to him. | 疑惑于那些人都是谁 他们对他来说意味着什么 |
[26:42] | I realized that he belonged to them now. | 我意识到他是他们中的一员 |
[26:47] | And if that’s the way he wanted it,I was going to honor his wishes. | 如果这是他想要的 我尊重他的意愿 |
[27:02] | When’s the last time you saw Julian Bellowes,George? | 你最后一次见到Julian Bellowes 是什么时候? George? |
[27:05] | In the service.Fort Benning,Georgia. | 在乔治亚州Benning堡训练基地服役时 |
[27:08] | Peacetime enlistment. | 和平时期的兵役 |
[27:10] | STILLMAN: A witness saw Julian give you his business card,Hot Skillet Diner, | 有证人看到Julian给了你名片 就在Hot Skillet餐馆 |
[27:15] | South Philly,few weeks before he was killed. | 费城南部 就在他被害前几周 |
[27:17] | You’re right.Sorry,Detective,that was a long time ago. | 是的 抱歉 警探 太过久远了 |
[27:22] | Anything in particular you wanted to discuss with Julian? | 和Julian有什么特别的事要谈吗? |
[27:25] | Let me see. | 我想想 |
[27:26] | Um,I was interested in some work he was doing up in Somerton. | 我对他在Somerton的生意很感兴趣 |
[27:30] | You wanted to buy a Libertyville property? | 你想购买自由郡的房产? |
[27:32] | No,not at all. | 一点都不想 |
[27:33] | I was interested in laying carpet in all those new builds. | 只想把我的地毯卖给所有的新居 |
[27:36] | We found your name in Julian’s office phone records. | 我们在Julian办公室的电话录音上 发现了你的名字 |
[27:39] | You left more than ten messages for him. | 你留了不下10条消息给他 |
[27:42] | Successful men don’t take no for an answer. | 成功者从不怕被拒绝 |
[27:44] | That’s the way I built my company. | 那是我的立业之道 |
[27:46] | Any disciplinary issues when you were in the Army,George? | 服役时有什么违纪问题吗 George? |
[27:49] | Dug up your service record. | 查了一下你的服役记录 |
[27:51] | Three non-judicial punishments in your first tour,all from Lieutenant Julian Bellowes. | 首次任务期间 Julian Bellowes给了你3次非司法性处分 |
[27:58] | GEORGE: W-Wait a second,now.He treated me fair. | 等等 他的处罚是公正的 |
[28:01] | Same as the rest. | 所有的都是 |
[28:02] | Must have made you angry,seeing him in that diner, | 你一定很生气吧 看见他在餐馆里 |
[28:05] | realizing the guy who’d been so tough on you was only pretending. | 发现曾对你百般苛责的家伙 不过是装模作样 |
[28:10] | I was angry because he denied knowing me. | 我生气是因为他否认我们相识 |
[28:13] | Truth is,I’d known for a long time the secret he was hiding. | 事实上 他的秘密我早就知道了 |
[28:20] | *** | Benning堡 乔治亚州 1949 伙计 我不认识那个军中理发师 |
[28:20] | Man,I don’t know about that Army barber. | Benning堡 乔治亚州 1949 伙计 我不认识那个军中理发师 |
[28:22] | I mean,he gonna know what to do with my kitchen? | 他知道怎么修剪我颈后的杂草吗? |
[28:25] | You seem to be in decent shape.Tell him to use the clippers. | 看起来还好了 让他用推子就行 |
[28:29] | Private Bellowes. | 二等兵Bellowes |
[28:32] | Yes,sir? | 是 长官 |
[28:35] | Soldier,how’d you get through school with grades like this and never learn how to check a box? | 士兵 连怎么打钩都没学会 你怎么毕业的? |
[28:41] | You marked “Negro” instead of “white. | 人种一栏你选了”黑人”而不是”白人” |
[28:45] | ” Excuse me? | 抱歉? |
[28:46] | You could’ve ended up on KP duty for the rest of your tour. | 你可能会在韩战中度过剩下的服役期 |
[28:50] | Unless you’d rather peel potatoes than command a unit. | 除非你更喜欢削土豆而不是指挥作战 |
[29:00] | My mistake. | 我很抱歉 |
[29:05] | Now report to Company First Sergeant in Processing before they close. | 现在去上士连报道 在他们结束纳新前 |
[29:09] | Yes,sir. | 是 长官 |
[29:15] | Julian had a choice,a way to be treated better. | Julian有机会让自己获得更好的待遇 |
[29:21] | Who was I to stand in his way? | 我干嘛要跟他过不去? |
[29:23] | He ever give you that carpet contract you were after? | 他给你地毯订单了吗? |
[29:26] | No.I guess he was afraid I would tell someone his secret. | 没有 我猜他害怕我泄露他的秘密 |
[29:29] | I thought successful men didn’t take no for an answer. | 我还以为成功者从不怕被拒绝 |
[29:31] | Look,I didn’t begrudge the man. | 听着 我不嫉妒他 |
[29:35] | If I’d had the same choice,no idea what I would’ve done. | 如果我也有一样的选择权 天晓得我会怎么做 |
[29:43] | CAROLINE: Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[29:45] | – Ma’am? – The family I always wanted to meet. | – 夫人? – 我一直想见见他的家人 |
[29:50] | He told me they had nothing in common. | 他说和他们没有共同语言 |
[29:52] | They’d had a falling out over Julian’s career plans. | 他们在Julian的职业规划上闹翻了 |
[29:55] | Seems something much bigger than that. | 似乎问题要严重得多 |
[29:57] | Now that you know,it shed any light? | 现在你知道真相了 是否让你想到什么? |
[30:01] | It explains what he was trying to tell me. | 现在我懂了 当时他努力想告诉我的是什么 |
[30:08] | Julian… are you all right? | Julian…你还好吗? |
[30:14] | I’m fine. | 我很好 |
[30:17] | You should go back to sleep. | 你该回去睡觉 |
[30:19] | Can’t remember the last time you weren’t awake half the night. | 我都不记得上一次 你安然入眠是什么时候了 |
[30:24] | Is it about the baby? | 是因为宝宝吗? |
[30:26] | Are you nervous about becoming a father? | 要当父亲了 你很紧张? |
[30:32] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[30:35] | Is it about Harry? | 那是因为Harry? |
[30:38] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[30:40] | He’s got the silliest thing stuck in his craw. | 他被一些傻念头搅得苦恼不已 |
[30:42] | He had a conversation with Gene Reilly. | 他去找Gene Reilly谈了谈 |
[30:45] | Gene’s a deacon over at All Souls. | Gene是万灵教堂的执事 |
[30:48] | It was so strange,but Gene says he’s never heard of your family. | 很奇怪 Gene说他从未听说过你们家 |
[30:52] | I told Harry he must be mistaken. | 我告诉Harry他肯定搞错了 |
[30:53] | There’s got to be more than one All Souls. | 肯定有不只一个万灵教堂 |
[30:57] | I know you don’t like me to bring up your family,and I promised myself I’d stop asking, | 知道你不喜欢我提你的家人 我保证不再问 |
[31:03] | but… well,there’s gonna be a baby. | 但是…我们就要有个孩子了 |
[31:07] | Your parents are gonna be grandparents. | 你的父母就要当爷爷奶奶了 |
[31:13] | And they made you. | 他们生了你 |
[31:16] | Which makes me love them. | 这就足以让我爱他们 |
[31:23] | There’s so much that you don’t know about me,Caroline. | 我有太多事你都不了解 Caroline |
[31:29] | You mean you don’t actually like to cha-cha? | 你是说其实你不喜欢恰恰舞吗? |
[31:31] | I’m serious. | 我是认真的 |
[31:35] | There’s nothing you could tell me that would make me stop loving you. | 没什么事能让我停止爱你 |
[31:44] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[31:53] | I thought he was… he was worried about coming from modest means. | 我原以为..他只是忧虑出身贫寒 |
[31:59] | What a world we lived in that he felt he couldn’t tell me the truth. | 我们生活在怎样的世界里啊 他对我都不敢讲真话 |
[32:05] | You said Harry was looking into Julian’s past. | 你说Harry在调查Julian的身世 |
[32:08] | It possible he found out about your husband’s secret? | 可能他发现了你丈夫的秘密? |
[32:13] | My brother would have told me. | 如果发现了 他会告诉我的 |
[32:17] | Wouldn’t he? | 不是吗? |
[32:23] | The hell you still doing here,Will? | 你怎么还在这儿 Will? |
[32:26] | Could ask you the same thing. | 我也想这么问你呢 |
[32:29] | Fair enough. | 真公平 |
[32:31] | Lab results came back. | 鉴证结果出来了 |
[32:32] | Blood on the broken glass from the Legacy Room was Harry Kemp,Junior’s. | 陈列室中碎玻璃上提取的血液 是小Harry Kemp的 |
[32:38] | Night before he died,Julian was fighting with his brother-in-law. | 死前那晚 Julian可能和大舅子打了一架 |
[32:42] | Caroline said he had been looking into Julian’s past. | Caroline说他在调查Julian的身世 |
[32:46] | Sounds like it finally caught up with him. | 看来他终于败露了 |
[32:50] | Well,last time we spoke,you stated you and Julian were pretty tight. | 上次谈话时 你声称和Julian很亲密 |
[32:53] | Family,you said. | 一家人 你说的 |
[32:54] | – Uh,that’s right,yeah. – You got a little detective in you,Harry? | – 嗯 是的 – 你对当侦探很感兴趣吗 Harry? |
[32:57] | VALENS: Looking into Julian’s past. | 调查Julian的身世 |
[32:58] | Sniffing around the church he went to. | 到他去过的教堂搜寻线索 |
[33:01] | In 1958,where you went to church was your family’s social circle. | 在1958年 你去的教堂就是 你全家的社交圈 |
[33:05] | I mean,when he told me that he went to All Souls,I… | 我是说 当他告诉我他去万灵教堂… |
[33:08] | You-You wanted to know where this cowboy rode in from. | 你就想知道这野小子从哪来的 |
[33:11] | Looking for a crack in that smooth veneer of his. | 想从他完美的外表下找出破绽 |
[33:15] | – Yeah,maybe.I… – You found out he did’t go there. | – 是的 也许我… – 你发现他根本没去过那里 |
[33:17] | Never had. | 从来没有 |
[33:19] | Guy lied to your father,your sister.Wonder why he’d lie like that,Harry? | 那家伙对你父亲和妹妹撒谎 知道他为什么撒谎 对吗? |
[33:22] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[33:24] | You know,uh,my mom always warned me not to drink gin. | 我妈总告诫我别喝杜松子酒 |
[33:29] | Said it messed with your head,could make you do things you didn’t mean to. | 她说那东西扰乱思维 让你做出 你本无意做的傻事 |
[33:34] | And you loved your gin martini,Harry. | 你热爱马提尼杜松子酒 |
[33:37] | Tossing ’em back in the Legacy Room.Then Julian comes back. | 你正在陈列室享受时 Julian回来了 |
[33:40] | Told us it wasn’t you fighting with him that night. | 别告诉我们那晚和他打架的不是你 |
[33:43] | You want to stick with that story? | 你还坚持那种说法吗? |
[33:44] | Julian’s throat got sliced.Could have been broken glass. | Julian的喉咙被切开 可能由碎玻璃造成 |
[33:47] | – So? – The blood on the pieces we found in the Legacy Room? | – 那又如何? – 在陈列室发现的碎片上的血迹 |
[33:51] | Guess whose DNA. | 猜猜上面是谁的DNA? |
[33:53] | You know,juries love that DNA evidence,Harry. | 陪审团会爱死DNA证据的 Harry (陪审团一定看多了CSI) |
[33:56] | I was you,I’d start cooking up an alibi. | 如果我是你 就想法编造一个不在场证明 |
[33:59] | I didn’t want to hurt him. | 我不想伤害他 |
[34:02] | I just wanted the truth. | 我只是想知道真相 |
[34:11] | Harry. | |
[34:14] | Look,I know you’ve been talking to Caroline about me. | 听着 我知道你和Caroline提过我 |
[34:20] | You got a problem with that,Julian? | 你有意见吗 Julian? |
[34:26] | She’s my damn sister. | 他可是我的妹妹 |
[34:28] | Come on.I’m… I’m here to come clean. | 好吧 我…我来这里是为了坦白交待 |
[34:31] | You lied about where you grew up. | 你对你的身世撒了谎 |
[34:34] | You lied about who you are. | 你谎报了你的身份 |
[34:36] | Who are you,you damn fraud? | 你是谁 你这个该死的骗子? |
[34:39] | Okay.We’ll talk when you’re sober. | 我们等你头脑清醒时再说 |
[34:40] | My father’s betting everything on a con man while I’m stuck in the stockroom sharpening pencils! | 我父亲把一切都赌在一个骗子身上 而我却只能困在贮藏室削铅笔! |
[34:50] | I know you’ve gotten a raw deal ever since I showed up. | 我知道自从我来后 你受到了不公正待遇 |
[34:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[34:54] | But everyone deserves a shot to prove themselves,and I’m going to make sure your father gives you yours. | 是的 但每个人都应有一次机会证明自己 我确保你父亲一定也会给你机会 |
[35:00] | Why the hell should I believe you? | 我为什么要相信你? |
[35:02] | I lied about who I was because I had to. | 我对我身份撒谎是因为不得不这么做 |
[35:05] | It was the only way for me to be myself and not be trapped by where I come from. | 这是能让我实现理想 不被出生拖后腿的唯一办法 |
[35:10] | And wherthe hell is that? | 你到底来自什么地方? |
[35:16] | Abyssinian Baptist is a couple of blocks north of here. | 阿比西尼安浸信会 离这里向北几个街区 |
[35:20] | That’s whe I was baptized. | 那是我受洗礼的地方 |
[35:23] | That’s where my whole family was baptized. | 也是我全家受洗礼的地方 |
[35:26] | Right there… is where I grew up. | 就是那里…我在那里成长 |
[35:32] | My father is a carpenter. | 我父亲是个木匠 |
[35:36] | His name is James Ridley Bellowes. | 他名叫James Ridley Bellowes |
[35:45] | He’s a Negro,Harry. | 他是个黑人 Harry |
[35:48] | So am I. | 我也是 |
[35:51] | You’re related to them? | 你和他们是亲戚? |
[35:54] | I’m their son. | 我是他们的儿子 |
[35:58] | You remember the old saw about judging a book? | 记得那个如何判断一本书的老说法? (即不能光从封面判断书的内容) |
[36:05] | Does my sister know? | 我妹妹知道吗? |
[36:07] | I’m gonna tell her next. | 我打算接下来就告诉她 |
[36:10] | Figured I’d start with my toughest customer. | 我应该从最难搞定的人开始 |
[36:19] | What’s the party for? | 那是个什么聚会? |
[36:21] | It’s not a party. | 这不是个聚会 |
[36:22] | They’re saying good-bye to him. | 这不是个聚会 他们在向他告别 |
[36:24] | Who? | 向谁? |
[36:28] | My father.He’s dying. | 我父亲 他快死了 |
[36:35] | Why aren’t you in there with them? | 你为什么不和他们在一起呢? |
[36:37] | There’s something I got to make right. | 我还有些事要去做 |
[36:42] | When I do,that’s when I can go home again. | 做完了 就是我重新回家的时候了 |
[36:51] | I don’t know.He dropped me off,drove me home. | 我不知道 他开车送我回家 让我下车 |
[36:54] | Never saw him again. | 我再也没有看见他 |
[36:55] | Anyone else find out?Your father maybe? | 我再也没有看见他 还有其他人发现吗? 或许是你父亲? |
[36:58] | Julian’s death destroyed Dad. | Julian的死打垮了爸爸 |
[37:00] | I got the feeling he wished it had been me instead of Julian. | 我有种感觉 他希望是我而不是Julian死去 |
[37:05] | So I told him the secret. | 所以我告诉了他这个秘密 |
[37:07] | You never saw tears dry up so fast. | 从没见过有人那么快就停止哭泣 |
[37:11] | Don’t tell Caroline.That’s all he said. | 别告诉Caroline 他就说了这句 |
[37:13] | Went in his office,shut the door,started working the ones. | 走进他的办公室 关上门 开始打电话 |
[37:16] | – Well,who was he calling?- Well,his high-placed friends. | – 他打给谁了? – 他的上层朋友们 |
[37:18] | Put a lid on the whole investigation. | 叫停了所有警方调查 |
[37:20] | VALENS: Julian said there was something he needed to make right before he could go home again? | Julian说他回家前要去处理一些事? |
[37:24] | You know what that was? | 你知道是什么事吗? |
[37:25] | Yeah,he wanted to integrate Libertyville.He’d already implemented the idea. | 你知道是什么事吗? 他想让自由郡居民的来源更加完整 他早已开始执行这个想法 |
[37:29] | – Well,how so? – A few weeks before his death, | – 此话怎讲? – 在他死前几个星期 |
[37:32] | he preapproved a loan for a mortgage. | 他核准了一笔按揭借款申请 |
[37:34] | The first black family. | 第一个黑人家庭 |
[37:37] | You remember who they were? | 你还记得他们是谁? |
[37:39] | No,I never did know. | 你还记得他们是谁? 不 我确实不记得了 |
[37:40] | Took another 25 years for the first black family to move into Libertyville. | 不 我确实不记得了 自那25年后 才有第一户黑人搬进自由郡 |
[37:44] | Libertyville handled its own mortgage applications. | 自由郡自主处理了按揭贷款申请 |
[37:47] | You still got those records? | 你还有那些记录吗? |
[37:48] | There’s a storage facility and 50 years of paperwork. | 你还有那些记录吗? 50年来的所有档案都在存储室里放着 |
[37:53] | You dig,Harry.I’ll watch. | 你去找 Harry 我盯着你 |
[38:03] | Give me a shot at this guy,John. | 让我来对付这个男人 John |
[38:05] | Doc said restricted duty. | 医生说过你行动受限 |
[38:07] | The only thing that’s gonna cure me is doing my job. | 让我重返岗位是唯一让我痊愈的方法 |
[38:16] | Go on.Get in there. | 去吧 进去干吧 |
[38:25] | RUSH: Told us you had no interest in a Libertyville home,George. | 你说你对自由郡的房子没兴趣 George |
[38:28] | Look what we found. | 看看我们找到了什么 |
[38:30] | A mortgage application for a model called The Philadelphian. | 一份关于费城房产的抵押贷款申请 |
[38:37] | That you,George? | 那是你吗 George? |
[38:38] | Well,that-that looks like my signature. | 那- 那看上去像我的签名 |
[38:41] | RUSH: This is where it says you’ve been preapproved. | 这里显示你的贷款申请被核准了 |
[38:43] | Whose name’s that? | 上面是谁的名字? |
[38:45] | It’s Julian Bellowes. | 是Julian Bellowes |
[38:47] | JEFFRIES: What happened,George?Know you never lived there. | 发生什么事 George? 据我们所知 你从没在那里住过 |
[38:49] | I don’t remember.A long time ago. | 我不记得了 过去很久了 |
[38:51] | Well,mortgage was being set up at Emerson Mutual,uh,Center City branch. | 按揭贷款已被Emerson互惠储贷行接受 就是市中心的分公司 |
[38:55] | Everything was going through. | 一切都通过了 |
[38:57] | Until that morni,November 7,1958. | 直到那天早晨 11月7号 1958年 |
[39:01] | When you went to the bank to pick up your check,they told you you couldn’t have that loan after all. | 你去银行拿支票 他们告诉你 你终究不能拿到借款 |
[39:07] | I ilt my company from scratch. | 我白手起家创办公司 |
[39:09] | 12 stores in the tri-state area.Ads on televion. | 三个州12家分店 电视上也有广告 |
[39:13] | Had your wife with you. | 当时还有你妻子在场 |
[39:14] | Must have been hard,having them tell you they’d changed their mind right in front of her. | 当她的面告诉你 他们改变主意了 一定很不好受 |
[39:19] | Put three kids through college without help. | 独自送3个孩子进了大学 |
[39:22] | Did it all myself. | 全靠我一个人 |
[39:24] | JEFFRIES: Look,reversing your application like that. | 瞧 就那样取消了你的申请 |
[39:27] | I know what happened. | 我知道是怎么一回事 |
[39:33] | They saw the color of ur skin. | 他们留意到我们的肤色 |
[39:36] | Keep your grs mowed and kids on point,smile friendly and never complain. | 开合适的玩笑 总是友好微笑 从不抱怨 |
[39:45] | Still… the neighbors are nervous. | 可是… 邻居们还是紧张兮兮 |
[39:49] | I know. | 我知道 |
[39:51] | I lived next door to ’em myself. | 我自己就生活在这样的社区里 |
[39:54] | I know exactly what you would have done if you had the choice Julian Bellowes had. | 我清楚如果你有Julian Bellowes的选择机会 你会有怎样的成就 |
[39:58] | Hell,George,we both would have done the same damn thing. | 见鬼 George我们都会像他一样的选择 |
[40:02] | Taken it. | 承认吧 |
[40:04] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[40:06] | Black or not,Julian had no idea what it was like for men like you and me. | 黑人与否 Julian不知道我们这类人的处境 |
[40:13] | He set me up for a fall. | 他出卖了我 |
[40:14] | Made you promises he couldn’t keep. | 向你做出了他无法信守的承诺 |
[40:17] | Out front,a bright green yard and an apple tree. | 前门外 绿草如茵 种着苹果树 |
[40:21] | “A neighborhood of good men and their families. | “邻居家都是好人” |
[40:22] | ” I just wanted what was fair. | 我只想得到公平对待 |
[40:24] | What every other qualified vet was getting when they ca home. | 就像其他够条件申请的退伍老兵们 得到的一样 |
[40:28] | A piece of the American dream. | 实现美国梦 |
[40:34] | All right,I know it doesn’t look like much,but Phase 5 is going to be our best project yet. | 我知道看上去不怎么样 但5期是我们目前最好的项目 |
[40:38] | I brought the sketches for you. | 我给你带来了草图 |
[40:40] | We’re going to put a kidney-shaped pool right… | 我们打算在右侧建一个肾形游泳池… |
[40:41] | What the hell’s the matter with you,huh? | 我们打算在右侧建一个肾形游泳池… 你他妈在搞什么 哈? |
[40:43] | Your bank rejected me! | 你的银行拒绝了我! |
[40:46] | What do you mean?I personally approved your application. | 你什么意思? 我亲自通过了你的申请 |
[40:48] | My wife got herself a new dress. | 我妻子为自己买了一条新裙子 |
[40:50] | Wanted to look her best. | 想打扮成最漂亮的样子 |
[40:52] | Bank manager takes one look at us,then starts talking about some clerical error! | 银行经理只看了我们一眼 就开始说些什么小职员的错误! |
[40:55] | Just calm down,George. | 冷静一点 George |
[40:56] | I will call him myself,and I will straightethis out. | 冷静一点 George 我会打给他 我会把事情搞清楚 |
[40:59] | She cried all the way home. | 她一路哭着回去 |
[41:03] | Nothing I could say made a bit of difference. | 我再怎么劝说也无济于事 |
[41:06] | I let down my family because of you! | 就是你 我让我的家庭失望了! |
[41:09] | The policies are wrong. | 政策是不对的 |
[41:11] | No matter how hard I work, | 无论我再怎么努力工作 |
[41:14] | I can’t make my life look like it looks in one of your ads. | 我也不能让我的生活变得 像你广告上形容的那样 |
[41:21] | If I got to lend you the money myself,I will. | 如果要我借钱给你 我会的 |
[41:24] | You think I want your charity,huh? | 你认为我需要你的施舍 哈? |
[41:26] | I got my own down payment and the monthly. | 我有钱付自己的首期和月供 |
[41:30] | I just can’t get a break. | 我只是得不到机会而已 |
[41:31] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[41:32] | You have no idea what I’m talking about! | 我理解 你根本不知道我在说什么! |
[41:34] | I caught more than my share of hell for the color of my skin. | 因为肤色问题 我受够了折磨 |
[41:38] | Most of it from my own people. | 大多还来自于自己人 |
[41:39] | What,you blaming us now,huh? | 大多还来自于自己人 什么 你开始指责我们了 哈? |
[41:41] | ‘Cause we can’t snap our fingers,skip to the head of the line like you did? | 因为我们不能轻轻松松 象你一样出人头地? |
[41:44] | There’s not a day that I have not regretted that decision. | 我一直都在后悔做了那个决定 |
[41:47] | – This is my fight,too. – How dare you?! Huh? | – 那也是我的战斗 – 你怎么敢这样?! 哈? |
[41:51] | Running around,pretending to be a white man,and now you want to be my brother? | 墙头草 假装做个白人 现在又和我称兄道弟? |
[41:59] | What you are is a disgrace. | 你活着是个耻辱 |