时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | the following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event | 故事纯属虚构 并不影射任何真人真事 |
[00:06] | Septenber 2,1988 | 1988年9月2日 |
[00:09] | 60 seconds to air! | 60秒后直播! |
[00:11] | Where’s America’s sweetheart? | 美国甜心去哪了? |
[00:13] | Everett. | |
[00:14] | Where’s Everett?Has anyone seen Everett? | Everett在哪? 有人看见Everett了吗? |
[00:16] | Keep your pants on,Kravet.I’m right here. | 别慌 Kravet 我在这 |
[00:19] | 60 seconds till we go live. | 60秒后就直播了 |
[00:20] | Well,you think I wake up looking like this? | 你觉得我早上一起来就像这样吗? |
[00:23] | It takes time. | 梳妆打扮需要时间的 |
[00:24] | They want ratings,I’m giving ’em ratings. | 他们想要高收视率 我就给他们 |
[00:26] | You still eating those damn Tums? | 你还吃要命的抗酸剂? |
[00:28] | Only thing keeping me alive. | 喝了它我才生龙活虎 |
[00:33] | Okay,Jane,you’ve got the S&L thing and the rerun thing. | Jane 美国储贷协会和美剧重播的报道归你 |
[00:36] | Little to your left,Jane. | 往左一点 Jane |
[00:38] | – How’s this,Clay? – Camera loves you. | – 这样行吗 Clay? – 镜头爱死你了 |
[00:41] | Have you talked to them yet? | 你跟他们说了吗? |
[00:44] | Come on,Nathan. | 拜托 Nathan |
[00:45] | Barbara Wa-Wa isn’t the only one who can make celebrities cry. | 芭芭拉 沃..不是唯一能让名人哭的人 (芭芭拉 沃特斯是美国著名记者) |
[00:48] | Get me a special. | 给我个专访 |
[00:49] | You won’t remember my name when you sign that big contract with network,will you? | 等你跟电视广播网签约时 你早忘记我了 对不对? |
[00:53] | – 6 5 4 3… – The adorable man who rescued me from tiny-town action news? | – 把我从小镇新闻拯救出来的可爱男人? |
[00:56] | – You kidding? – 2 … | – 怎么可能? |
[00:57] | – I’ll talk to them. – 1… | – 我会跟他们说 |
[01:00] | A fire in a West Philadelphia row house claims six lives. | 费城西区联排别墅发生火灾 6人丧生 |
[01:03] | The Channel 7 News Team is on the ground with that story in just a moment. | 7频道的记者稍后将在现场将为您报道 |
[01:07] | And later we’ll bring you the… | 之后 我们将为您带来… |
[01:11] | What? | 怎么了? |
[01:14] | – We lost the teleprompter. – Where is it? | – 提词机坏了 – 哪坏了? |
[01:16] | Um,the update on the… | 最新消息… |
[01:19] | Cut to commercial? | 切入广告? |
[01:20] | Give her a second. | 给她点时间 |
[01:24] | The story on the Bass Group’s… | Bass集团… |
[01:26] | – $2 billion purchase of the Savings and Loan Association. – Quiet,quiet,quiet. | – 将以20亿美元收购美国储贷协会 – 安静 安静 安静 |
[01:30] | – No,hang on… – But first,what you’ve been waiting for. | – 别 等一下… – 不过首先 是大家所期待的消息 |
[01:33] | After months of reruns due to the writer’s strike,Falcon Crest, | 由于编剧罢工导致的美剧重播数月后 (看来编剧罢工历史悠久~) |
[01:36] | Murder She Wrote,and all your favorites are back. | <鹰冠庄园><她书写谋杀>等 最受欢迎的美剧又回来了 |
[01:39] | The update after these messages. | 广告后我们再回来 |
[01:44] | All clear. | 直播中止 |
[01:46] | You get ’em,Jane. | 干得漂亮 Jane |
[02:20] | – Okay. – This ain’t casual Friday. | – 好的 – 今天不是星期五便装日 |
[02:21] | What,are you trying out for the team mascot,Nick? | 干嘛把吉祥物穿出来 Nick? |
[02:24] | Game’s tonight. | 比赛就在今晚 |
[02:25] | You in,Scotty?Hitting Jones. | 来吗 Scotty? 去Jones酒吧碰头 |
[02:27] | I don’t do hockey. | 我不看冰球 |
[02:28] | I want to see a fight,I go to the ring. | 想看打架 我会去拳击场了 |
[02:30] | This one’s something. | 这家伙真厉害 |
[02:32] | Anyone remember a newscaster named Jane Everett,co-anchor at Channel 7? | 有人记得7频道有个叫Jane Everett 的新闻播报员吗? |
[02:37] | Jane Everett.She was hot. | Jane Everett 她很辣 |
[02:39] | Yeah,strangled in Fairmount Park back in the ’80s. | 是啊 80年代在费尔蒙特公园被勒死 |
[02:41] | A research assistant from Channel 7 is on her way up to show us something. | 7频道一个助理研究员要给我们看些东西 她在路上了 |
[02:46] | Was that a tooth? | 那是牙吗? |
[02:48] | Gloves are off,baby. | 正经点吧 宝贝 |
[02:50] | Tory Roberts? | |
[02:52] | Channel 7. | 7频道 |
[02:53] | I’m Detective Rush. | 我是警探Rush |
[02:55] | Why don’t you come with me? | 请你…跟我来吧 |
[02:59] | Oh…I got it. | 哦…我去吧 |
[03:04] | Make sure you get all her info,you know– name,number… | 确认你知道她所有的情况–名字–电话… |
[03:08] | marital status. | 婚姻状况 |
[03:12] | Said you had something to show us? | 你说有东西要给我们看? |
[03:14] | An old Beta tape. | 一个旧素材带 |
[03:16] | We’re converting outdated formats to DVD. | 我们把旧格式的资料转成DVD |
[03:19] | I got stuck logging all the footage. | 我得不停记录那些镜头 |
[03:21] | You’d give WCNU reporters a run for their money,they put you on the air. | 你给WCNU的记者机会赚钱 他们就会让你上电视的 |
[03:27] | – Going to make that jump one day. – Yeah? | – 总有一天我会出上镜头的 – 是吗? |
[03:30] | So what do you got? | 那你找到什么了? |
[03:34] | This is Jane Everett of WCNU. | 我是WCNU的Jane Everett |
[03:36] | Tonight I’ll be bringing you a special report. | 今晚我将为您带来特别报道 |
[03:40] | Jane Everett. | |
[03:43] | What? | 什么? |
[03:44] | Slow down. | 说慢点 |
[03:47] | Are you threatening me? | 你在威胁我吗? |
[03:49] | Listen,just… | 听着 别… |
[03:51] | you did the right thing. | 你做的事是对的 |
[03:52] | Just don’t make any decisions tonight. | 今晚先别做决定 |
[03:55] | Tell me where you are. | 告诉我你在哪 |
[03:57] | I’ll be there in 20 minutes. | 我20分钟后到 |
[03:59] | Tape’s got a time stamp. | 录像有时间标记 |
[04:01] | November 2,1988 Everyone said her murder was this random thing, | 1988年11月2日 所有人都说她的死 是偶发案件 |
[04:05] | but they found the body six hours after that call. | 但那通电话后6小时 她的尸体被发现 |
[04:09] | 11:46 p.m. | 晚上11:46 |
[04:11] | Means Jane met her caller around midnight. | 就是说Jane在午夜见到打电话的人 |
[04:14] | So the caller’s either the last to see… | 打电话的人不是最后看到她的人… |
[04:16] | Or Jane’s talking to her killer. | |
[04:47] | COLD CASE Season 6 Episode 13 | |
[04:53] | “Local cross-country team finds newscaster Jane Everett strangled in Fairmount Park.” | “当地越野队在费尔蒙特公园发现播音员 Jane Everett被勒死” |
[04:58] | No shortage of coverage or man-hours on this one. | 对这案子的报道真是不惜人力时间 |
[05:01] | Story was all over the place. | 评论到处都是 |
[05:02] | People felt like they knew her. | 人们都觉得跟她很熟 |
[05:04] | Well,she was in their living rooms every night. | 她每天晚上都出现在他们的客厅 |
[05:06] | Pretty girl. | 漂亮女孩 |
[05:08] | Looked great in a leotard. | 穿紧身衣很好看 |
[05:09] | Did you see that special she did on aerobics? | 你看她对有氧操运动做的特别报道了? |
[05:11] | You into aerobics,Nick? | 你喜欢有氧操运动 Nick? |
[05:13] | What’s it to you? | 有关系吗? |
[05:14] | Don’t let me catch you in a leotard. | 别让我看见你穿紧身衣 |
[05:17] | Jane grew up in Manayunk. | Jane在马拉扬克长大 |
[05:19] | Tough neighborhood. | 治安不好 |
[05:20] | Father was a tollbooth operator,died in ’82; mom was a housewife. | 爸爸是公路收费员 1982年去世 妈妈是家庭主妇 |
[05:23] | Margie Everett. | |
[05:25] | Valens and Miller are talking to her now. | Valens和Miller去和她谈了 |
[05:27] | Only 27 years old. | 她只有27岁 |
[05:29] | – Strangled with her own scarf. – Crime of passion. | – 被围巾勒死 – 冲动犯罪 |
[05:32] | No mention of a boyfriend. | 没提到她有男朋友 |
[05:34] | Original theory was some perv saw an easy target. | 原定结论是有变态发现容易攻击的目标 |
[05:37] | No DNA or witnesses to discount the theory. | 没有DNA或是目击者能推翻这个结论 |
[05:39] | Abrasions,torn clothes. | 有擦伤 衣服被撕裂 |
[05:42] | She didn’t go without a fight. | 她死前反抗过 |
[05:44] | Lived a few blocks from the park.Jogged there every morning at 5:00 a.m.before work. | 她的住所离公园只有几个街区 每天早上5点上班前都去慢跑 |
[05:47] | 5:00 a.m.– hours are worse than ours. | 早上5点–比我们上班还早 |
[05:50] | She died in the same clothes she was wearing in that video: turtleneck,windbreaker. | 她死时穿的衣服和在录像带里的一样 套头毛衣 防风外套 |
[05:54] | Time of death was estimated between 2:00 and 6:00 a.m. | 死亡时间大约在早上2点到6点 |
[05:57] | Maybe she didn’t go to the park for her run. | 也许她不是去公园跑步的 |
[05:59] | – Could have met the caller there. – Or the caller knew she’d be there. | – 可能是去见打电话的人 – 或者打电话的人知道她会在那 |
[06:02] | Tracked her down. | 跟踪她 |
[06:04] | See what you can get from WCNU phone records. | 看是否能从WCNU的电话记录找到线索 |
[06:06] | If Jane knew her attacker,it’s about time we did,too. | 如果Jane认识袭击者 我们也是时候 认识一下了 |
[06:11] | My daughter was a natural. | 我女儿有天赋 |
[06:13] | One look at her,people just fell in love. | 一看到她 人们就会爱上她 |
[06:16] | Anything you can tell us about her personal life,Mrs.Everett? | 她的私生活 有什么能告诉我们 Everett太太? |
[06:19] | Yeah,she didn’t have one. | 她没有私生活 |
[06:21] | She spent years at stations out west. | 她在西部的电视台呆了好几年 |
[06:23] | Then she gets a job here in Philly,I still didn’t get to see her. | 后来她在费城找到工作 我还是见不到她 |
[06:27] | Attractive woman like Jane must have had a boyfriend. | 像Jane这么有吸引力的女人肯定有男友 |
[06:30] | Well,if she did,she didn’t tell me about it. | 如果她有 也没告诉过我 |
[06:32] | Two of you… | 你们两个… |
[06:34] | have a falling out? | 有冲突? |
[06:35] | I left college in the middle of my junior year to have her. | 我在大三辍学 为了生下她 |
[06:39] | I got my education from the school of Edward R.Murrow and Walter Cronkite. | 我跟Edward R.Murrow和Walter Cronkite 上的是同所学校(均为著名记者) |
[06:44] | Janey and I,uh… | Janey和我 嗯… |
[06:46] | we bonded over the news when she was a little girl. | 在她小时候 我们就和新闻紧紧相连 |
[06:49] | She’d even give her own broadcasts at dinner. | 晚饭时 她会播报自己的新闻 |
[06:52] | But by the time she died,the news wasn’t the news anymore. | 可她死的时候 新闻已经不再是新闻了 |
[06:55] | It was nothing but fluff,and she didn’t seem to care. | 除了花边新闻没别的 她似乎并不在意 |
[06:58] | Aerobics and…celebrity love lives. | 有氧健身操 名人恋爱生活 |
[07:03] | That what your spat was over?Type of stories she was covering? | 你们口角是因为什么? 因为她报导的新闻类型? |
[07:07] | She was co-anchoring the fourth largest market in this country. | 她在拥有全国第四大电视市场的 电视台当新闻主持 |
[07:11] | It still wasn’t enough for me. | 但对我来说还不够 |
[07:13] | – Hundreds of families… – Janey,you’re on. | – 上百个家庭… – Janey 你的镜头 |
[07:16] | …are taking part in this great event. | …参加了这个盛大的集会 |
[07:18] | Oh,what are you wearing? | 你穿的是什么? |
[07:20] | Um,it’s a Halloween costume. | 万圣节服装 |
[07:23] | I got to say I think the adults are having as much fun as the kids. | 我得说 大人跟孩子玩得一样愉快 |
[07:26] | – It’s better than the sexy witch. – And best of all,the proceeds go to charity. | – 比性感女巫的服装好 – 最重要的是 所有收益将用做慈善 |
[07:30] | Shaw Plastics raised $50,000 for disadvantaged kids. | Shaw塑料公司捐了5万美金给贫困儿童 |
[07:33] | It was a good cause. | 这是好理由 |
[07:35] | More like a good advertisement. | 更像是一个好广告 |
[07:36] | Did Shaw Plastics pay you to cover that story? | Shaw塑料公司收买你去报导了? |
[07:39] | We do this kind of stuff all the time,Ma. | 我们一直这么做 妈 |
[07:40] | You give companies positive press,they buy ads. | 你报道公司的正面新闻 他们付钱做广告 |
[07:44] | Well,the Jane I knew dreamed of covering the presidential debates. | 我认识的Jane梦想报道的是总统竞选辩论 |
[07:48] | Mort is covering the presidential debates.You know that. | Mort负责报道总统辩论 你知道的 |
[07:51] | Can’t you cover them,too? | 你不能也报导那个吗? |
[07:53] | Why do you always get stuck with the fluff? | 为什么你总要播报那些花边新闻? |
[07:56] | There’s got to be something else. | 肯定有别的新闻可报道 |
[07:57] | Like what?The elections in Chile? | 比如什么?智利的选举? |
[07:59] | Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan? | 苏联从阿富汗撤军? |
[08:02] | Do you know what it would take to get people to watch a story about armed rebels in remote villages? | 你知道让观众看偏远乡村的 武装叛乱有什么后果? |
[08:06] | Well,you don’t really believe that,do you? | 你不会相信吧 是吗? |
[08:08] | Management made changes to improve our ratings. | 管理层做改变来提高收视率 |
[08:11] | I took their advice about my hair and my wardrobe,and we went up four points. | 我听取他们对我的发型和服装的意见 提高了4个百分点 |
[08:15] | Four points for teasing your hair? | 因为你弄了头发就提升4个百分点? |
[08:18] | I don’t know how many times I have to tell you this,Ma. | 我要告诉你多少遍才行 妈 |
[08:21] | It’s just…it’s the way the business is now. | 这是…这是现在这行的规则 |
[08:23] | I just…I don’t understand why news had to stop being news. | 我只是–不明白为什么新闻不再是新闻了 |
[08:26] | Well,ask Nathan if you don’t believe me. | 如果你不信我就问问Nathan |
[08:28] | We’ve made peace with it.Maybe you should,too. | 我们已经接受了 也许你也应该这样 |
[08:30] | Janey,I’m not trying to be critical. | Janey 我不是想要挑剔什么 |
[08:32] | I know.I’ve got an early morning,Ma.I’ll see you later,okay? | 我知道 我明天要早起 妈 再见 好吗? |
[08:35] | Well… | 呃… |
[08:44] | The last time I saw my daughter alive and I was giving her a hard time. | 最后一次看见我女儿活着 我在对她发脾气 |
[08:50] | Who’s this Nathan she was talking about? | 她说的Nathan是谁? |
[08:53] | Nathan Kravet. | |
[08:55] | He was her boss. | 是她的上司 |
[08:56] | Well,he was her mentor,really. | 其实 是她的导师 |
[08:58] | They met when Janey was at Syracuse University. | Janey在Syracuse大学时 他们就认识了 |
[09:01] | Thanks for your time,Mrs.Everett. | 谢谢你的合作 Everett太太 |
[09:04] | What I wouldn’t give to see Janey on TV again,cat suit or not. | 要能在电视上再看见Janey 我做什么 都愿意 不管是否穿猫女装 |
[09:14] | Everett was something else. | Everett跟别人不一样 |
[09:16] | I gave a guest lecture at Syracuse her freshman year. | 我在她大一时 到Syracuse做个讲座 |
[09:19] | She sent me a story idea every week till she graduated. | 她毕业前每周都会给我一个新闻构思 |
[09:23] | They any good? | 她写的好吗? |
[09:24] | Not bad,actually. | 不坏 说真的 |
[09:25] | She had an eye for the angle. | 她的视角很特别 |
[09:27] | Could find a story in any picture. | 能在任何照片里找到故事 |
[09:29] | Where’d the cat suit fit in? | 那她怎么还会穿猫女装? |
[09:31] | By the time I hired her at WCNU,things were changing. | 当我雇她来WCNU时 形势已经变了 |
[09:34] | What qualified as news was anything that got ratings. | 能提高收视率的事才能作为新闻 |
[09:38] | Including cute newsgirls? | 包括漂亮的新闻女主播? |
[09:40] | Before Reagan took office,stations had to serve the public,present balanced reports. | 里根总统上任前 电视台是服务大众的 (对争议新闻)采取均衡报导 |
[09:44] | Hell,there were even limits on the amount of ads. | 以前甚至还会限制广告数量 |
[09:47] | Reagan relaxed all the rules. | 里根放松了所有规定 |
[09:50] | Relaxed is right. | 放松是对的 |
[09:52] | Looks more like a vacation than reporting. | 看起来更像是假期而不是采访 |
[09:54] | Company retreats. | 公司的公费度假 |
[09:55] | Better ratings meant better profits. | 好的收视率带来好的效益 |
[09:57] | Better profits meant better corporate retreats. | 好的效益意味着更好的公费度假 |
[09:59] | Any idea who might have been threatening Jane the night she died? | 知道Jane被杀那晚是谁威胁她吗? |
[10:02] | No idea.It wasn’t like she was breaking Watergate. | 不知道 又不是她闯进了水门大厦 |
[10:05] | Uh,I think her last story was about mall walkers. | 我想她最后一条新闻是关于逛商店的人 |
[10:08] | You see her that night? | 你那晚见到她了? |
[10:10] | I was holed up in my office on the third floor. | 我一直待在3楼办公室里 |
[10:12] | Jane was on the first,so no. | Jane在一楼 所以 没见到 |
[10:14] | Did she always work till midnight? | 她是不是经常工作到午夜? |
[10:15] | Evening news wrapped at 7:00; doesn’t mean we did. | 晚间新闻7点就拍完 但那不意味着我们完工了 |
[10:18] | Public persona like that,she ever attract the wrong kind of attention? | 像她那样的公众人物 有没有招惹不怀好意的关注? |
[10:22] | Far as I knew,everyone loved her. | 据我所知 每个人都喜欢她 |
[10:24] | After a year at WCNU,she was getting more fan mail than the seasoned reporters. | 在WCNU工作1年后 她收到的粉丝来信 比资深播音员还多 |
[10:28] | Any of those seasoned reporters have a problem with that? | 有没有资深播音员对此有意见? |
[10:31] | There’s one person who comes to mind. | 确实有这么一个人 |
[10:36] | The crime has left two people dead and an entire neighborhood devastated. | 本案导致2人死亡 整个社区颇为震惊 |
[10:39] | It’s yet another casualty of the crack epidemic here in the Philly… | 这是费城可卡因吸食潮引发的又一起伤亡 |
[10:44] | …in,in the city of Ph… | 发生在 发生在费… |
[10:47] | In other news,he’s this year’s Sexiest Man Alive. | 下一条新闻 他是本年度最性感男士 |
[10:50] | JFK,Junior. | 约翰肯尼迪二世 (已故美国总统肯尼迪之子) |
[10:52] | So who made his list of sexiest women? | 那谁是他榜上最性感的女人呢? |
[10:54] | We’ll have the story after this. | 稍后我们会播报这个故事 |
[10:56] | All clear. | 直播中止 |
[10:57] | Last I checked,I was the lead anchor. | 据我所知 我才是首席播音员 |
[10:59] | – I was trying to help you. – You help by letting me finish the damn story. | – 我是想帮你 – 那就行行好 让我讲完那段见鬼的新闻 |
[11:02] | It’s called a transition.Or don’t they teach that in journalism school anymore? | 这叫过渡 他们在新闻学院没教过? |
[11:05] | Take it easy,Mort. | 别生气 Mort |
[11:06] | She’s doing her job. | 她做得没错 |
[11:08] | You’re the one who hired this amateur bubblehead newsreader. | 是你雇了这个业余水平的笨蛋播音员 |
[11:10] | As opposed to a pompous has-been? | 对抗一个自命不凡的老人? |
[11:12] | Hey,I was here before you,sweetie; I’ll be here after. | 嗨 我比你先来 甜心 我以后也会在这 |
[11:14] | – Ten,nine,eight,seven,six… – Have you checked with management on that? | – 你和管理层确认过吗? |
[11:18] | – You bet against me,sweetheart,and I’ll crush you – ….five,four… | – 你跟我斗 甜心 我会压扁你 |
[11:21] | …three,two. | |
[11:24] | An update on a story from yesterday: | 昨日新闻的最新进展: |
[11:26] | the President has stated that his position will not change | 总统宣称他的立场将不会变化 |
[11:28] | in spite of what Congress has proposed on the latest energy bill… | 尽管议会提交了最新能源法案… |
[11:33] | WCNU went from worst to first that year and there was only one reason: Jane Everett. | 那年WCNU从收视率的榜尾上升到榜首 只有一个原因 Jane Everett |
[11:39] | Mort knew it? | Mort知道吗? |
[11:40] | His low-grade insecurity became full-blown paranoia. | 过份的不安全感让他变得疑神疑鬼 |
[11:43] | Called me all hours of the night trying to get her fired. | 整晚给我打电话 让我炒了她 |
[11:46] | Why not get rid of him instead? | 为什么不干脆炒掉他? |
[11:47] | Thought about it. | 我也想过 |
[11:49] | Till he won a Peabody for his coverage of Jane’s murder. | 直到他报道Jane的谋杀获得Peabody奖 (美国广播电视文化成就奖) |
[11:52] | Bought himself another 20 years in the business. | 又让他做了20年 |
[11:57] | So I get this Bobby Badass in the squad car. | 我把那个叫Bobby的混蛋抓上巡逻车 |
[12:01] | Thinks I’m hauling him down to PPD till he realizes,we’re heading in the wrong direction. | 还以为我们带他去费城警局 直到他意识到我们去了其他地方 |
[12:06] | The kid starts freaking out ’cause we’re going into 29th Street territory. | 那孩子开始抓狂 因为我们已经到了29街区 |
[12:09] | – The rival gang? – Yeah. | – 他对头的帮派? – 是的 |
[12:10] | He’s begging us to turn around,and I’m talking to my partner about stopping for doughnuts. | 他求我们转头 我让拍档停车去买面包圈 |
[12:14] | Kid wets his pants,tells us everything. | 那孩子吓得尿裤子了 什么都招了 |
[12:17] | That’d make a great segment. | 这段不错 |
[12:20] | Well,there’s more where that came from. | 还有更精彩的故事呢 |
[12:23] | How are things going? | 事情进行得怎么样了? |
[12:25] | Jane Everett case? | Jane Everett的案子? |
[12:27] | Stick around…and I’ll let you know. | 随时留意…会告诉你的 |
[12:30] | Scratch my back,I’ll scratch yours? | 你帮我 我就帮你? |
[12:32] | Sounds good to me. | 听起来不错 |
[12:38] | Hey,take that off,would ya? | 嘿 取下来 好不? |
[12:40] | – What? – Looks like you’re about to take flight. | – 什么? – 你看起来象要飞一样 |
[12:43] | Check out Casanova with that hottie from Channel 7. | 瞧这位花花浪子和7频道的辣妹 |
[12:46] | Back in the saddle. | 重整旗鼓啊 |
[12:48] | Excuse me. | 打搅一下 |
[12:52] | What up,fellas? | 怎么了 伙计们? |
[12:53] | Rush dug up some dirt on Mort Ackerson. | Rush挖到了一些Mort Ackerson的丑闻 |
[12:56] | Jane lodged a formal complaint against him with the WCNU Human Resources,October 18,’88. | 88年10月18日 Jane正式向WCNU人事部投诉他 |
[13:01] | That’s two weeks before she’s killed. | 她被杀前2周 |
[13:03] | It said Mort showed up at her shoots,was following her to interviews and press conferences. | 说Mort在她的拍摄中丢脸后 跟踪她访问和出席新闻发表会 |
[13:08] | All right,Tory says the guy’s a real tool. | Tory说那家伙是个百分百的小人 |
[13:10] | Got serious issues working with the ladies. | 和女人共事不融洽 |
[13:16] | Eat it,Zaretsky! | 干掉它 Zaretsky! |
[13:28] | That’s gonna be better than the game. | 这比比赛有意思多了 |
[13:33] | Well,last I checked,this was a cop bar. | 就我所知 这是家警察酒吧 |
[13:36] | Is that the best you can do? | 难道你就这点本事? |
[13:37] | – Newsroom Barbie? – Oh,damn it,Frankie. | – 和新闻频道的芭比娃娃? – 见鬼 Frankie |
[13:39] | What?I like hockey. | 怎么了? 我喜欢冰球 |
[13:42] | Your husband like hockey too? | 你丈夫也喜欢冰球? |
[13:46] | Admit it. | 承认吧 |
[13:47] | What? | 什么? |
[13:49] | You’re trying to make me jealous. | 你就是想让我嫉妒 |
[13:51] | You’re the one came here. | 是你自己要来这里的 |
[13:54] | So,maybe it’s working. | 所以 这也许起作用了 |
[13:57] | You know,you’re not the only woman in the world. | 要知道 你不是世界上唯一的女人 |
[14:03] | Right now I am. | 此时此刻 我就是唯一的 |
[14:16] | I should go. | 我该走了 |
[14:18] | Yeah,you should. | 是的 你该走 |
[14:26] | Come on.Let’s get out of here. | 来 我们离开这里 |
[14:38] | ***I’m Detective Rush. | Ackerson? 我是Rush警探 |
[14:42] | I don’t normally do this,but you think I could have your autograph? | 我一般不这么做 你能给我签名吗? |
[14:47] | Well,sure. | 当然 |
[14:49] | Call me Mort. | 叫我Mort |
[14:53] | It’s for my auntie. | 是送我阿姨的 |
[14:54] | Sign it “Dear Edie,see you in 50 to life.” | 签上”亲爱的Edie 等我服完50年 或终身监禁刑期后再见” |
[15:04] | You think I hurt Jane Everett?Is that what this is all about? | 你觉得我杀了Jane Everett? 所以才来找我签名? |
[15:08] | Convince me otherwise. | 那就说服我你没干 |
[15:10] | I always thought it was innocent until proven guilty. | 我一直相信无罪推定 |
[15:12] | Remember what happened to your ratings after Jane was murdered,Mort? | 记得Jane被杀后 你的收视率有何变化吗 Mort? |
[15:16] | I didn’t pay attention to ratings. | 我并没注意收视率 |
[15:17] | They went up. | 它上升了 |
[15:19] | Or maybe it’s ’cause of the Peabody Award I won? | 也许是因为我赢得了Peabody奖? |
[15:21] | For covering Jane’s murder. | 因为报道Jane被谋杀 |
[15:23] | You ever show up at her shoots? | 你曾经在她的节目里出丑? |
[15:25] | – No. – Call her at home? | – 不 – 在家打电话给她? |
[15:28] | No. | 没 |
[15:30] | Oh,Jane’s Human Resources file. | Jane的人事档案中 |
[15:31] | But I guess you already know about the complaint she filed against you. | 但我猜你早就知道她投诉过你 |
[15:36] | So I wasn’t her biggest fan. | 我不怎么喜欢她 |
[15:38] | But that girl didn’t know her place. | 但那女孩并不清楚自己的位置 |
[15:44] | That’s the Shaw Plastics fundraiser,isn’t it? | 是Shaw塑料公司的筹资会 是不? |
[15:47] | Who’s that fighting? | 吵架的是谁? |
[15:49] | David Wyatt. | |
[15:51] | He’s their PR guy,isn’t he? | 他是他们的公关人员 是不是? |
[15:52] | Doesn’t make sense. | 没道理啊 |
[15:54] | They take care of their employees. | 他们对员工很好 |
[15:56] | Tell it to that guy. | 你跟那家伙说说看 |
[16:09] | Mandatory drug testing? | 强制性药物测试? |
[16:11] | Don’t you think I know what that’s about? | 你以为我不知道这是为什么? |
[16:13] | My family has given 15 years to this plant. | 我全家在这家工厂工作了15年 |
[16:15] | Would you keep your voice down? | 能不能小点声? |
[16:17] | Hey,look,I just want some answers,all right?! | 听着 我只是想得到答案 好吧?! |
[16:19] | We both know I’m entitled to ask for a lot more than that. | 我们都知道 我有权问更多问题 |
[16:21] | Something’s going on here. | 这里肯定大有文章 |
[16:24] | So,what do you think,you’re some kind of breaking news reporter all of a sudden? | 你觉得呢 你突然间又成了 报道重大突发新闻的记者? |
[16:27] | Why don’t you go bother that new intern you’ve been circling,huh? | 你怎么不去烦那个 你围着转的新实习生? |
[16:30] | Piece of advice,sweetheart? | 甜心 给你点建议? |
[16:32] | Stick to putting on your lipstick and smiling pretty for the camera. | 你就好好干那份涂满唇膏 笑对镜头的工作 |
[16:35] | And upstage you? | 抢你的镜头? |
[16:37] | Never. | 决不 |
[16:41] | She was investigating a story. | 她在调查一个大新闻 |
[16:45] | I was wondering about that myself. | 我自己也很好奇 |
[16:47] | But if there was a story there,Jane wasn’t getting it. | 如果真有什么新闻 Jane可没挖掘出来 |
[17:16] | She reported me to Human Resources the next morning. | 她第二天早上把我告到人事部 |
[17:20] | She was just mad ’cause she didn’t have what it took. | 她抓狂是因为她什么也没抓到 |
[17:23] | I was the one people trusted. | 我才是大众信任的人 |
[17:25] | Where was that house located? | 那房子在什么地方? |
[17:29] | Corner of 4th and…Lehigh? | 第4大街的拐角处 靠近…Lehigh? |
[17:32] | Where were you the night Jane died? | Jane死的那晚你在哪? |
[17:35] | I caught up with that new intern. | 我在追新来的实习生 |
[17:37] | Rhonda Stewart. | |
[17:38] | Gonna need her number. | 我们也许需要她的号码 |
[17:40] | No problem. | 没关系 |
[17:41] | I’m sure she’ll remember. | 我肯定她记得 |
[17:44] | Boss,got the phone records from WCNU. | 老大 WCNU提供了电话记录 |
[17:47] | Call to Jane’s extension at 11:46 was local. | 11:46打给Jane分机的是本地电话 |
[17:50] | So there was no way to trace it back that far. | 所以没法追踪那么久以前的事 |
[17:52] | What about her reporter’s notebook? | 她的采访笔记呢? |
[17:53] | Station cleaned out her office back when. | 当时电视台已清理了她的办公室 |
[17:56] | Mort Ackerson’s alibi check out? | Mort Ackerson的不在场证据有没查过? |
[17:58] | Uh,Rhonda the intern. | Rhonda 那个实习生 |
[18:00] | Big producer over at WIXA now. | 现在是WIXA的超级制作人 |
[18:02] | Uh,she vouched for him. | 她为他担保 |
[18:04] | Mort’s lucky day. | Mort可真够幸运 |
[18:05] | Canvassed the block of 4th and Lehigh. | 对第4街和Lehigh街做了调查 |
[18:07] | Guy who lived in the corner house moved in ’89. | 拐角房子的房主1989年搬走了 |
[18:10] | Name’s Evan Briggs. | 名叫Evan Briggs |
[18:12] | Neighbor said he worked at Shaw Plastics with his wife. | 邻居说他和他老婆在Shaw塑料公司工作 |
[18:15] | Left the neighborhood after she died. | 她死后 他就离开了那里 |
[18:17] | Where is he now? | 他现在在哪? |
[18:18] | Meijers Plastics bought Shaw,December ’88. | 88年12月Meijers塑料买下了Shaw |
[18:21] | Lot of red tape getting to his personnel file. | 他的个人档案不容易搞到手 |
[18:23] | See if ADA Bell can help with the warrant. | 看看助理检察官Bell能不能 帮忙搞到搜查许可 |
[18:25] | Sounds like this Briggs had real issues with Jane. | 听起来这个Briggs和Jane有过节 |
[18:37] | I,uh,think you got something of mine. | 我想你是不是拿错了我的东西 |
[18:43] | Something of yours? | 你的东西? |
[18:45] | You sure? | 你确定? |
[18:47] | I’m sure. | 我确定 |
[18:53] | Let me,uh,see what I can dig up. | 让我瞧瞧 看能找出什么 |
[18:55] | Yeah,you do that. | 是的 你就找吧 |
[19:06] | Detectives,I’m Andrew Powers,CEO. | 警探们 我是Andrew Powers 首席执行官 |
[19:08] | I was hoping to join your meeting, | 我很希望能参加这次会面 |
[19:09] | but,uh,I’m sure David can help you with whatever you need. | 但我确定无论你需要什么 David都可以帮你 |
[19:13] | I’m David Wyatt.Public Relations. | 我是David Wyatt 公共关系 |
[19:15] | I understand you have some questions concerning a former employee,Evan Briggs? | 你们对前雇员Evan Briggs有些问题? |
[19:19] | Two of you had some kind of altercation back in ’88? | 你们俩在88年争吵过? |
[19:22] | That was a long time ago. | 那是很久以前了 |
[19:24] | In fact,it didn’t ring any bells until I pulled the file. | 事实上 直到我找到文件才想起来 |
[19:26] | I’d only been with the company a few months. | 那时我才到公司几个月 |
[19:28] | What does this have to do with Jane Everett’s murder? | 这个和Jane Everett被杀有什么关系? |
[19:31] | Can I see that file? | 我能看下文件吗? |
[19:33] | Yes. | 可以 |
[19:37] | He was terminated for failing to pass a mandatory drug test. | 他因没通过强制药检而被终止合同? |
[19:41] | I don’t see any prior infractions,previous 21 years? | 怎么前21年我没看到任何违法行为? |
[19:46] | We didn’t start the testing until ’88. | 我们直到88年才开始药检 |
[19:49] | He could’ve been coming to work high every day.We would never have known. | 他可能每天吸毒后才来工作 我们无从得知 |
[19:52] | Meijers bought Shaw Plastics later on that year,right? | Meijers在1年后买了Shaw塑料公司 是吗? |
[19:55] | Drug testing a precursor to the buyout? | 药检是全部买下的一个先兆? |
[19:58] | Did make sense,I mean,you’d want to get rid of the deadbeats first. | 有道理 你得先摆脱那些问题员工 |
[20:02] | Well,drill it down,and yes,a guy like Evan Briggs was bad for business. | 深入探究下去 像Evan Briggs这种人 对公司不利 |
[20:06] | Shaw Plastics is a family corporation. | Shaw塑料公司是个 家族企业 |
[20:09] | No room for drug use. | 容不得吸毒 |
[20:10] | Family corporation?It’s a funny way of putting it. | 家族企业? 这种提法很有趣 |
[20:13] | Sometimes we had to use a little tough love. | 有时候我们不得不严格爱护员工 |
[20:16] | Jane Everett ever contact you about this “tough love” program? | Jane Everett跟你联系过这个 “严格爱护”的问题吗? |
[20:20] | Uh,no. | 哦 不 |
[20:21] | Well,she ever talk to you about Briggs? | 她有没找你聊过Briggs? |
[20:24] | Ms.Everett covered a few fundraisers for us. | Everett小姐为我们报道过几次筹资会 |
[20:27] | That’s all. | 就这些 |
[20:31] | Now,if you will excuse me,I do have some business I need to attend to. | 如果没有其他事 我还有些公事要办 |
[20:38] | Thanks for your time. | 谢谢你 |
[20:41] | Oh,we’re holding on to this. | 我们就盯着这家伙 |
[20:46] | Drill it down. | 深入探究 |
[20:47] | Guy’s a schmuck. | 那家伙是个蠢人 |
[20:49] | Hey,I gotta swing by Channel 7.See if they got more Jane Everett tapes. | 我要去7频道一趟 看他们是否 还有Jane Everett的带子 |
[20:52] | You wanna come with?Hit Geno’s after? | 一起去不? 然后一起去Geno牛排馆吃饭? |
[20:54] | Oh,you mean ’cause you don’t wanna go to Channel 7 alone | 你不想一个人去7频道 |
[20:58] | after you ditched that girl at the bar last night? | 因为你昨晚把那姑娘甩在酒吧不管 |
[21:00] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么呢? |
[21:01] | Leave me out of it. | 别把我掺乎进来 |
[21:04] | Nope! | 没门儿! |
[21:20] | Look who’s back. | 瞧瞧谁回来了 |
[21:22] | Yeah,Tory,listen… | Tory 你看… |
[21:23] | on-the-line guys needed help with a bust over in Fishtown. | 渔镇有人被殴 需要人手援助 |
[21:27] | I wanted to tell you,but this kind of thing goes down quick and… | 我想跟你说的 但这种事来得太突然… |
[21:30] | Your on-the-line guys always wear pencil skirts? | 那些出勤的同僚都穿一步裙? |
[21:35] | Yeah,right,well,actually,that girl,she’s an associate of the undercover unit. | 实际上 那姑娘是便衣组的同事 |
[21:41] | Hmm,you know what?Next time something “goes down’… | 听着 下次要是再有事”发生”… |
[21:45] | I get a call for the exclusive. | 你要跟我说清楚 |
[21:49] | Deal. | 成 |
[21:52] | So,where do you want to start? | 那么 想从哪儿开始? |
[21:55] | Are these the tapes? | 这些都是她的带子? |
[21:56] | Every tape Jane ever made. | Jane录的所有带子 |
[22:01] | So,you were Jane’s cameraman? | 你是Jane的摄像师? |
[22:04] | I knew Jane better than anyone. | 我比谁都了解Jane |
[22:06] | Best angle,best lights. | 最佳角度 最佳灯光 |
[22:08] | Sounds intimate. | 听着你俩挺亲密的 |
[22:09] | Nature of the job. | 干这活儿就得这样 |
[22:10] | You two ever get involved? | 你俩是男女朋友吗? |
[22:12] | Wouldn’t have minded. | 我不介意 |
[22:14] | But she was busy climbing the ladder. | 但她一心想往上爬 |
[22:16] | She ever mention a story involving a plastics factory,Shaw Plastics? | 她有提过一家塑料公司的事吗 Shaw塑料公司? |
[22:20] | We covered a fundraiser for them once. | 我们报道过一次他们的筹资会 |
[22:23] | Jane saw something. | Jane看到现场有吵架 |
[22:24] | She had me film a couple of guys arguing while she pretended to talk to fans. | 她假意去跟粉丝交谈 叫我去拍那2个争执的家伙 |
[22:29] | Was this man one of them? | 有这个人吗? |
[22:32] | Yeah,he was arguing with a guy. | 对 他在和另一个人吵 |
[22:35] | Looked like his boss,maybe. | 看起来可能是他老板 |
[22:36] | Ever see him giving Jane any trouble? | 你见过他向Jane找麻烦吗? |
[22:38] | Yeah. | 有 |
[22:39] | A couple of nights later,we were shooting B-roll at an aerobics class. | 过了几天 晚上我们在有氧操课上 补些切换镜头 |
[22:43] | She wanted to go by his house. | 她想去他家看看 |
[22:45] | But he definitely wasn’t expecting us. | 但他显然没想到我们会去 |
[22:50] | MR. Briggs?Are you home? | Briggs先生? 你在家吗? |
[23:18] | What the hell are you doing back here again? | 你又来这儿干嘛? |
[23:20] | MR. Briggs,the door was open; I thought you heard us. | Briggs先生 门开着 我以为你听到我们来了 |
[23:21] | I already told you,I got nothing to say. | 我都告诉你了 我没什么可说的 |
[23:23] | Now that drug test was a lie. | 药物测试就是骗人的玩意 |
[23:25] | Now,get before I call the cops! | 现在快滚 不然我就报警了! |
[23:27] | Please,I just want to talk to you,help figure things out. | 拜托 我只想和你谈谈 搞清真相 |
[23:29] | Maybe that is what the test picked up. | 也许这都是测试害的 |
[23:31] | Percocet? | (盐酸羟考酮和对乙酰氨基酚片剂<镇痛药>) |
[23:32] | – You get out of here with that thing! – Easy,buddy! | – 你们带着家伙滚出去! – 别那么冲动 伙计! |
[23:34] | Wait outside,Clay.I have done some research,and I think I can help you. | 外面等我 Clay 我已做了些调查 我想我能帮你 |
[23:39] | Look,I ain’t going to ask you again. | 听着 我不会再说一遍 |
[23:41] | Now,get out. | 现在滚出去 |
[23:48] | I don’t know what that story was about,but whatever it was pissed that guy off. | 我不知道她要报道什么 但把那家伙惹火了 |
[23:53] | You didn’t think that might’ve had something to do with Jane’s murder? | 你没想过这可能跟Jane被杀有关? |
[23:55] | Hotheads like him made good TV. | 像他那种愣头青才能 帮我们做出好节目 |
[23:58] | Way reporters earned their stripes. | 这样做记者们才能飞黄腾达 |
[24:05] | ******** | 这都是什么玩意儿 |
[24:18] | Evan Briggs?Philadelphia Homicide. | Evan Briggs? 费城重案组的 |
[24:22] | Like to ask you a few questions. | 有几个问题要问你 |
[24:26] | What kind of questions? | 什么问题? |
[24:28] | Kind about Jane Everett. | 关于Jane Everett的 |
[24:31] | Got nothing to say. | 没什么可说的 |
[24:32] | You want to talk to us for an hour or talk to a grand jury for six? | 你是想跟我们谈1小时 还是想跟大陪审团谈6小时? |
[24:35] | Your choice. | 你自己选 |
[24:40] | Briggs?Briggs?Run! | Briggs? Briggs? 快跑! |
[24:52] | Hey,don’t hurt him,you hear?! | 嘿 别伤着他 听到没?! |
[24:53] | Control the dog or the next one has his name on it. | 把你的狗牵住 不然下一枪就打它身上了 |
[25:03] | Saw your brand of hospitality,Briggs. | 见识到你的好客之道了 Briggs |
[25:05] | Jane Everett come at you too many times,get the same treatment? | Jane Everett多次拜访过你 也是受到如此礼遇? |
[25:08] | I didn’t hurt that reporter. | 我没伤着那个记者 |
[25:11] | You were in a hell of a situation back in ’88. | 88年那会儿你日子可不好过 |
[25:13] | Lost your job,your wife… | 饭碗丢了 老婆没了… |
[25:15] | Life was in a tailspin. | 日子过的一团糟 |
[25:17] | Jane found out you got terminated,threatened to make your life even worse by exposing your drug use. | Jane发现你被解雇了 她拿药物测试结果 要挟你 让你日子更难过 |
[25:21] | Couldn’t get worse.Not when they took my health insurance. | 不会更糟了 他们剥夺了我的医保 |
[25:25] | Not when they took my house. | 他们把我的房子也夺走了 |
[25:27] | Had to sting. | 肯定很苦闷 |
[25:28] | Jane throwing you under a bus just to break a story. | Jane不管你死活都要报道 |
[25:30] | Don’t you get it? | 你还不明白? |
[25:32] | Story wasn’t about me.It was about my wife. | 她想报道的不是我 是我太太 |
[25:39] | We worked at the factory together till she got cancer. | 在她患癌症前 我们都在那家厂做事 |
[25:42] | Jane knew who was to blame for her getting sick. | Jane知道谁该为她患病负责 |
[26:05] | MR. Briggs. | Briggs先生 |
[26:08] | You scared me. | 你吓到我了 |
[26:13] | She’s gone.My wife. | 她去世了 我太太 |
[26:19] | Doctors said it was coming,but… | 医生说是迟早的事 但… |
[26:23] | You don’t want to believe. | 你不会愿意相信这个事实 |
[26:27] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[26:29] | Uh,what you were talking about? | 你上次说的事儿 |
[26:32] | I’m listening. | 我想听听看 |
[26:35] | I spoke to the pharmacist you go to about the Percocet you’re taking for your cough. | 给你开止咳药Percocet的那个药剂师 我去跟她谈过了 |
[26:41] | She said you’re not the only one from the factory taking it. | 她说你不是厂里唯一来开那药的人 |
[26:44] | – So? – I met with a doctor. | – 然后呢? – 我去见了个医生 |
[26:47] | Told him the tubing that Shaw manufactures is reinforced with asbestos. | 告诉他Shaw的管道材料里都添加石棉 |
[26:50] | He said the tests are just being confirmed,but a lot of people are saying that asbestos is bad. | 他说试验正在测试验证中 但很多人都说石棉对人体无益 |
[27:00] | Said it’s probably what caused your wife’s cancer. | 说很可能是它导致了你太太患癌 |
[27:09] | They knew? | 他们清楚这事? |
[27:12] | There are others. | 还有别人也知道 |
[27:15] | Doctor gave Peggy Foster four months this morning. | 今早 医生说Peggy Foster还能活4个月 |
[27:20] | She’s even younger than my wife. | 她比我太太还年轻 |
[27:23] | Cliff Schuster.Len Turner… | |
[27:26] | All right. | 好吧 |
[27:27] | what do you want to do? | 好吧 你想怎么做? |
[27:31] | I want to take them on. | 我要让他们付出代价 |
[27:34] | Take on Shaw Plastics?Yeah. | 让Shaw塑料公司付出代价? 可不 |
[27:36] | Anyone opens their mouth,company will cut ’em off at the ankles. | 任何透露消息的人 公司都不会对他们客气 |
[27:39] | They’ll take their health insurance.That’s all those people got. | 夺走他们的医保 那些人都落的这种下场 |
[27:42] | You do nothing,the company gets away with murder. | 你坐视不管 公司就会逃脱谋杀罪 |
[27:45] | Hey,my word ain’t going to mean squat against those suits. | 嘿 我的话无异于螳臂当车 |
[27:48] | That’s why I found someone to back us up. | 所以我找了人来给我们撑腰 |
[27:51] | – An insider. – Someone from Shaw? | – 一个公司内部的人 – Shaw公司的人? |
[27:54] | He agreed to go on camera,admit that Shaw knew their employees were being exposed to asbestos and covered it up. | 他应允面对镜头 揭露Shaw公司清楚 雇员暴露在石棉中 并掩盖真相 |
[27:59] | – I’m going to film him tonight. – Then what? | – 我今晚就会给他录制 – 然后呢? |
[28:01] | Then I bring it to my boss and we break the story tomorrow. | 然后我拿给我老板看 明天就报道这则新闻 |
[28:04] | Prime time. | 黄金时段播出 |
[28:05] | Wait,your boss knows about this? | 慢着 你老板知道这事? |
[28:07] | Gonna tell him tonight.He will stand by us. | 我准备今晚告诉他 他会支持我们的 |
[28:13] | – Ms.Everett,uh… – Jane. | – Everett小姐 这个… – 叫我Jane |
[28:19] | These,uh,men… | 这些人… |
[28:22] | they play dirty,and they ain’t gonna stop at me. | 他们手段卑鄙 我无法阻止他们 |
[28:26] | So why are you doing this? | 你为什么要这么做? |
[28:29] | What kind of a reporter would I be if I didn’t? | 不这么做 我又成了哪种记者呢? |
[28:37] | She ever tell you who this insider was? | 她有跟你说公司内部的人是谁吗? |
[28:40] | No idea. | 我不知道 |
[28:42] | Guys in management were cronies. | 管理层的人都是一伙的 |
[28:45] | Can’t imagine any one of them sticking a neck out. | 想不出谁会冒死出来作证 |
[28:48] | Morning Jane died,where were you? | Jane死的那天早上 你在哪儿? |
[28:52] | Cleaning toilets in Center City. | 在市中心扫厕所 |
[28:55] | Worked the midnight shift at the Atco Building after the factory canned me. | 公司解雇我后 我就在Atco大楼负责晚班清洁 |
[29:01] | At least until I got sick. | 直到我病了 |
[29:09] | You,too? | 你也患病了? |
[29:12] | Been in remission twice. | 两次都好转了 |
[29:15] | Don’t think there’ll be a third. | 没想过还会来第三次 |
[29:18] | When my wife got diagnosed,would’ve given anything to be the one going through it. | 我太太被确诊后 我愿付出任何代价 跟她一同与病魔抗争 |
[29:27] | Guess my prayers have been answered. | 我想我的祷告被上帝听到了 |
[29:36] | “You did the right thing.Don’t make any decisions tonight.” | “你做的事是对的 今晚先别做决定” |
[29:40] | Got to be this insider who called her that night. | 这肯定就是那晚打电话给她的线人 |
[29:43] | Well,Jane wanted to broadcast the interview the next day. | Jane想隔天报道那篇采访 |
[29:46] | Guy was trying to undo what he’d already done. | 他做过的事想反悔 |
[29:50] | So if Jane recorded the interview,where’s the tape? | 如果Jane的采访录了带子 那它在哪儿? |
[29:52] | Well,it definitely ain’t at WCNU. | 绝对不在WCNU(7频道办公室) |
[29:55] | I screened every tape Jane ever touched. | 我查了Jane所有的带子 |
[29:57] | Could’ve brought it home with her. | 可能被她带回家了 |
[29:58] | That’s what I would’ve done. | 要是我也会这么做的 |
[30:00] | Who packed up Jane’s house? | 谁整理了Jane家的东西? |
[30:06] | Here are the rest of them. | 这就是其他的带子了 |
[30:08] | Been in there for years. | 在这儿放了好几年了 |
[30:10] | Just couldn’t bring myself to throw anything away. | 我一件都舍不得丢 |
[30:13] | Did Jane ever tell you about the last story she was working on? | Jane跟你提过她最后调查的新闻吗? |
[30:17] | Was,um,something about people walking in malls for exercise,wasn’t it? | 是有关在商场步行健身者的事吗? |
[30:21] | Lil,I got something. | Lil 我找到了 |
[30:24] | November 2,1988. | 1988年11月2日 |
[30:27] | A day before she died. | 她死前一天的事 |
[30:29] | People deserve to know the truth about what’s happening to them. | 人们有权知道事情的真相 |
[30:33] | Why it’s happening.People are dying. | 为何会发生这种事 人们垂垂将死 |
[30:36] | The people you’re referring to are employees of Shaw Plastics? | 你说的人们是指Shaw塑料公司的雇员? |
[30:40] | Factory workers. | 工厂工人 |
[30:41] | They’re being exposed to a dangerous toxin called asbestos. | 他们暴露于一种名为石棉的有毒物质中 |
[30:45] | How do you know this? | 你如何得知的? |
[30:46] | Because I have the memo. | 因为我有备忘录 |
[30:49] | Shaw Plastics was aware of the effects of asbestos. | Shaw塑料公司清楚石棉的危害 |
[30:53] | Can you explain what that means exactly? | 能具体讲讲是什么意思吗? |
[30:56] | Well,if you drill it down,it means the company knew asbestos was causing cancer. | 如果你深入探究 会发现公司清楚石棉会致癌 |
[31:03] | And instead of doing anything about it,they covered it up. | 他们对此坐视不管 还掩盖事实 |
[31:11] | …means exactly? | …什么意思? |
[31:13] | Well,if you drill it down,it means the company knew… | 如果你深入探究 会发现公司清楚… |
[31:18] | There’s our smoking gun. | 这就是要找的凶手 |
[31:19] | That spin doctor,Wyatt. | 那个公关顾问 Wyatt |
[31:21] | Bad PR from a big,fat liar. | 大胖骗子手下的坏公关 |
[31:25] | Like to see him spin this. | 看看这事他会如何巧舌如簧 |
[31:31] | What’d you talk about,last time you saw Jane? | 你最后一次见到Jane 说了些什么? |
[31:34] | A few fundraisers. | 几次筹资会 |
[31:35] | I told you,I-I barely knew her. | 我说了 我不怎么认识她 |
[31:37] | That what you called her about at 11:46 p.m. | 你在晚上11点46分给她电话 |
[31:41] | night before she was killed?”Fundraiser”? | 就在她遇害前一天晚上? 就说些”筹资会”的事? |
[31:44] | Shaw Plastics was knowingly harming people. | Shaw塑料公司在蓄意伤害员工 |
[31:47] | Company falsified the results of mandatory drug tests to flush out anyone who opened their mouth. | 公司篡改了强制药物测试结果 堵上说实话的人的嘴 |
[31:54] | And you knew about it. | 你对此一清二楚 |
[31:55] | The thing is,21 years later,you’re still working there. | 现在21年过去了 你还在那儿工作 |
[31:59] | – What’s that make you? – This is ridiculous. | – 你为什么在那里待了这么多年? – 这太荒谬了 |
[32:01] | You people don’t know what you’re talking about. | 你们根本不知道自己在说什么 |
[32:07] | …explain what that means exactly? | 能具体说说是什么意思吗? |
[32:10] | Well,if you drill it down,it means the company knew asbestos was causing cancer. | 如果你深入探究 会发现公司早就清楚石棉会致癌 |
[32:18] | And instead of doing anything about it,they covered it up. | 他们对此坐视不管 还掩盖事实 |
[32:28] | Gonna ask again. | 再问你一次 |
[32:30] | What were you calling about night before she died? | 她死前那晚你打电话给她说什么了? |
[32:35] | I didn’t kill her. | 我没杀她 |
[32:38] | “You did the right thing.Don’t make any decisions tonight.” | “你做的事是对的 今晚先别做决定” |
[32:42] | Got your conversation on tape. | 从录影带上找到了你们的对话 |
[32:44] | You drill it down,she was trying to warm your cold feet. | 深入探究一下 她正在努力鼓励你 |
[32:47] | Interview never aired.You changed your mind and got rid of her to cover it up. | 采访从没播出 你改主意了 除掉她以掩盖真相 |
[32:50] | I’ll be there in 20 minutes. | 我20分钟就到 |
[32:53] | She was going to meet you; makes you the last to see her alive. | 她正要去见你 这样你就成了最后一个 见到她活着的人 |
[32:56] | I was trying to help those people who were getting sick. | 我想去帮那些患病的人一把 |
[32:59] | I tried.I really did. | 我想帮他们 我确实努力了 |
[33:03] | And then I thought about what the company would do. | 但后来我想了想公司会做何反应 |
[33:06] | Intimidation,blacklists… | 恐吓 列入黑名单… |
[33:08] | – People’s lives get ruined. – Lives did get ruined. | – 他们的生活就被毁了… – 他们的生活早被毁了 |
[33:11] | It takes courage being a whistle-blower. | 揭发真相需要勇气 |
[33:14] | Heavy lifting for a schmuck like you. | 对你这种混蛋来说可不是件易事 |
[33:17] | Family corporation and all. | 家族企业之类的 |
[33:24] | I thought I could talk her out of it. | 我以为能说服她别再插手的 |
[33:28] | I shouldn’t have talked to you. | 我不该告诉你那些 |
[33:30] | I want you to destroy the tape. | 把带子毁了吧 |
[33:32] | I gave Briggs my word,David. | 我对Briggs保证过 David |
[33:34] | Look,what the company is doing is wrong. | 公司的所作所为令人发指 |
[33:37] | – That-that’s not the issue.- So what is? | – 但 但这不是问题的关键 – 那什么才是? |
[33:42] | What are they going to do to us when they find out? | 事发之后 他们会如何对付我们? |
[33:45] | Once the story’s out,Shaw can’t touch us. | 报导一旦出来 Shaw公司便动不了我们 |
[33:47] | Everyone will know the truth.Don’t back out on us,David. | 真相会大白天下 别退怯 David |
[33:50] | Every minute we sit here someone else gets sick. | 我们坐在这里时 就不断有人患病 |
[33:55] | Tell me you’re with me. | 告诉我 你和我同一阵线 |
[34:00] | All right. | 好吧 |
[34:02] | For every one of those people… | 我代表所有的受害者… |
[34:06] | thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[34:27] | I called Powers. | 我给Powers打了电话 |
[34:29] | Bastard was sailing in the Cayman Islands. | 那杂种正在开曼群岛出海游玩 |
[34:31] | You told him about Jane? | 你告诉他Jane的事了? |
[34:34] | The interview you gave her? | 你接受她采访的事? |
[34:36] | I thought he’d fire me. | 还以为他会炒了我 |
[34:39] | Instead I got promoted. | 恰恰相反 我升了职 |
[34:41] | Keeping his enemies closer. | 把敌人牢牢控制在身边 |
[34:43] | You keep your 401k and Jane ends up dead.You sleep at night? | 你保住了饭碗 Jane却死了 你晚上睡得着吗? |
[34:49] | I asked him to fix the problem so that more people would not get sick. | 我让他解决问题 别再让人患病了 |
[34:55] | What’d he say he was going to do about it? | 他说他打算怎么做? |
[34:59] | He said all he had to do was call the station and the story would disappear. | 他说要打电话给电视台 把这事压下来 |
[35:07] | No wonder he didn’t stick around last time we met. | 难怪上次见面时他不留下来 |
[35:12] | Andrew Powers? | |
[35:16] | Remember that asbestos scandal you covered up back in ’88? | 还记得88年 你掩盖的石棉事件吧? |
[35:19] | Looks like it’s making a comeback. | 似乎旧话重提了 |
[35:20] | Got stock in the company,might want to call your broker.Insider information tip. | 持有公司股份 也许你该联系经纪人了 这可是内部消息 |
[35:24] | – ** – I’ll meet you at the restaurant. | 我们餐厅见 |
[35:29] | What do you want? | 你们想怎样? |
[35:31] | We’re thinking you’re a conspirator to the murder of Jane Everett. | 我们怀疑你参与谋杀了Jane Everett |
[35:34] | Murder? | 谋杀? |
[35:35] | I didn’t touch that girl.I was in the Cayman Islands. | 我没碰过那女孩 我当时在开曼群岛 |
[35:37] | We know. | 我们知道 |
[35:39] | You called someone at WCNU from your house a few hours before Jane showed up dead. | 在Jane遇害前几小时 你从府上给WCNU的某人打了电话 |
[35:44] | Got the phone records to prove it. | 有电话记录证明 |
[35:45] | You tell us who you called,maybe the conspiracy goes away. | 告诉我们他是谁 也许就能洗脱罪名 |
[35:50] | I only wanted to kill a story. | 我只想把报道压下来 |
[35:53] | Never intended for anyone to get hurt. | 从没打算要伤害谁 |
[35:55] | We’ll let the jury decide that. | 陪审团会对此进行裁决的 |
[35:57] | All we want is a name. | 我们只想知道他的名字 |
[36:07] | You friends with Andrew Powers,Nathan? | 你和Andrew Powers交情不菲 Nathan? |
[36:09] | Station covered a few Shaw fundraisers,but,uh,no,I didn’t know him personally. | 电视台报导过Shaw公司的一些筹资会 但我和他私底下不熟 |
[36:15] | Think of any reason why he might’ve been calling your extension at WCNU | 为什么他从远在开曼群岛的豪宅里 |
[36:19] | from his house in the Cayman Islands? | 打电话到你在WCNU的分机? |
[36:22] | Corporate bigwigs liked throwing their weight around, | 公司大亨都喜欢滥用权势 |
[36:25] | bitching about a story,so sometimes they’d call. | 对某事发牢骚 因此他们有时会打给我 |
[36:29] | This particular conversation happened at 1:15 in the morning, | 这次特殊的谈话却发生在凌晨1:15 |
[36:34] | few hours before Jane was killed. | 就在Jane遇害前几小时 |
[36:37] | Probably had some idea he wanted the station to cover. | 大概谈了他希望电视台压下的某条新闻 |
[36:41] | Looked into your financials,Nathan. | 看看你的财务情况 Nathan |
[36:44] | – Yeah? – You bought stock in Shaw Plastics | – 嗯? – 你购买了Shaw公司的股份 |
[36:47] | two weeks before Meijers bought the company. | 恰好在Meijers收购公司前两周 |
[36:51] | Stroke of genius made you a millionaire overnight. | 那次神来之笔令你一夜致富 |
[36:54] | What can I say?I had a good broker. | 我能说什么? 我有位厉害的经纪人 |
[36:55] | It was the ’80s.Guys like Powers were making millions and you wanted a piece of the pie. | 那可是80年代 Power这些家伙大把赚钱时 你也想分一杯羹 |
[37:00] | Nothing wrong with free enterprise. | 搞自由企业又不犯法 |
[37:02] | Except there was nothing “free” about it. | 除了这不是”免费”的以外 (free兼有自由,免费的意思) |
[37:04] | The stock tip came with strings attached. | 股票的内部消息带有附加条件 |
[37:06] | Powers was calling you that night because he wanted a story to go away. | Powers那晚打电话给你 因为他想压下一条新闻 |
[37:10] | And he was right. | 他说得对 |
[37:12] | Jane had no business taking that interview. | Jane无权作那个采访 |
[37:14] | No,David Wyatt was no scientist. | 没错 David Wyatt又不是科学家 |
[37:17] | I mean,you had taught her better than that,letting her heart lead a story. | 不是你教她 用心来报导吗 |
[37:22] | It’s called journalistic integrity. | 这叫新闻工作者的正直精神 |
[37:25] | You don’t just take the word of some PR hack. | 别只听某个公关傻瓜的一面之词 |
[37:32] | How’d you know about that interview? | 你怎么知道那个采访的? |
[37:36] | What? | 什么? |
[37:37] | The one Jane had with David Wyatt,that “PR hack”? | Jane对David Wyatt的采访 那个”公关傻瓜”? |
[37:43] | Did Powers tell you about it? | Powers告诉你的? |
[37:46] | Or…was it Jane? | 还是…Jane? |
[37:50] | I would never hurt Jane. | 我不会伤害Jane |
[37:52] | She was almost like a daughter to you. | 她就像你的女儿一样 |
[37:53] | – She was. – Sending you those stories every week. | – 是的 – 每周都把她的报道交给你 |
[37:56] | Coming to work for me. | 还来我手下做事 |
[37:57] | But she was still holding onto something. | 但她还是冥顽不灵 |
[37:59] | What,what was that you called it? | 你 你把这叫什么来着? |
[38:01] | – Journalistic… – Integrity. | – 新闻工作者的… – 正直精神 |
[38:03] | Wasn’t as simple for you. | 对你来说 事情没那么简单吧 |
[38:05] | You had suits to answer to. | 你还想对大佬们有交代 |
[38:07] | Ratings to get. | 提高收视率 |
[38:08] | Hard not getting swept up in the bonuses,the kickbacks… | 对红利 回扣很难放手… |
[38:11] | The business demanded it.It was sink or swim. | 这是业务需要 要么接受 要么滚蛋 |
[38:13] | You just wanted that tape. | 你只想拿到那盘带子 |
[38:15] | – Simple request. – That’s all I wanted. | – 很简单的要求 – 我就只想这样 |
[38:20] | But Jane refused. | 但Jane拒绝了 |
[38:24] | She knew that if she gave it to me… | 她知道 如果把它给我… |
[38:27] | we’d both be lost. | 我们俩就都完了 |
[38:40] | Nathan?What are you doing here? | Nathan? 你在这做什么? |
[38:44] | I’ve been…I’ve been trying to reach you all night. | 我…我一晚上都在找你 |
[38:46] | I thought it was timeto take care of this. | 我想是时候解决这事了 |
[38:49] | So what’d you want to talk to me about? | 你想和我谈什么? |
[38:51] | I know I asked for a celebrity special, | 我知道我申请做的是名人专访 |
[38:53] | but… I have a story. | 但… 我发现了些内幕 |
[38:56] | I have a real story.The kind that we used to talk about at Syracuse. | 我发现了一条重大新闻 就像我们过去在Syracuse大学谈到的 |
[39:00] | Tell me. | 说来听听 |
[39:02] | Employees at Shaw Plastics are getting sick. | Shaw公司的雇员陆续患病 |
[39:04] | I found an executive who admitted management knew they were being exposed to asbestos, | 据一位知情雇员揭露 他们使用石棉 |
[39:09] | a toxin that causes cancer. | 这种有毒物质能致癌 |
[39:11] | I got him on tape reading the memo. | 我让他在录像里读备忘录 |
[39:16] | Jane Everett, you cracked a story. | Jane Everett 你挖了个大新闻 |
[39:20] | We break the story. | 我们可以插播这条新闻 |
[39:21] | I mean,employees get a chance at getting their compensation. | 雇员就有机会得到赔偿 |
[39:23] | They get… they get their medical bills paid. | 他们… 他们就能有钱治病了 |
[39:25] | Right.So,uh,where is it? | 干得好 那么 东西在哪? |
[39:29] | – Where’s what? – The tape. | – 什么在哪? – 带子 |
[39:32] | – It’s in a safe place. – Great. | – 它放在安全的地方 – 很好 |
[39:35] | I’ll need to vet it with,uh,legal first. | 我希望能先审查一下 确保合法 |
[39:37] | Legal? | 合法? |
[39:38] | No,these people don’t have that kind of time,Nathan. | 不 时间就是生命 Nathan |
[39:40] | We’re exposed on this.Shaw could take us to the cleaners. | 我们一旦报道这事 Shaw公司会让我们一无所有 |
[39:43] | We need to be responsible to our advertisers and to corporate sponsors. | 我们得为广告商和赞助人负责 |
[39:47] | Then I’ll take it to another station. | 那我会拿去另一家电视台 |
[39:48] | Are you kidding me?We’ll lose our jobs. | 你开玩笑? 我们会失业的 |
[39:50] | Be sued for slander.This isn’t college, Jane. | 被人告诽谤罪 这不是学校 Jane |
[39:53] | This is business. | 这是生意 |
[39:55] | Now what’s it going to take for you to see that? | 现在你打算要多少封口费呢? |
[40:02] | One million. | 一百万 |
[40:08] | I always knew you were smart,Everett. | 我就知道你冰雪聪明 Everett |
[40:12] | A million it is. | 就一百万 |
[40:16] | Wait. Hey. Where you going? | 等等 嘿 你去哪? |
[40:18] | You were the one who lectured me about ethics! | 是你教我什么是职业道德! |
[40:20] | Come on,Jane.News isn’t news anymore. | 别这样 Jane 新闻已经变质了 |
[40:23] | You love it just as much as anybody. | 你也别太过投入了 |
[40:25] | – The ratings,the attention. – No.Not anymore! | – 收视率 受关注的程度 – 不 不会再这样了! |
[40:27] | – Come here! – Just stay away from me! | – 别跑! – 走开! |
[40:28] | – Get over here! – Stay away from me! | – 过来! – 走开! |
[40:30] | Give me the damn tape! | 把带子给我! |
[40:32] | No! | 不! |
[40:34] | Stop! | 住手! |
[41:42] | * Shout Shout * | |
[41:45] | * Let it all out * | |
[41:47] | * These are the things I can do without * | |
[41:52] | * Come on * | |
[41:55] | * I’m talking to you * | |
[41:57] | * Come on * | |
[42:01] | * In violent times * | |
[42:06] | * You shouldn’t have to sell your soul * | |
[42:11] | * In black and white * | |
[42:16] | * They really, really ought to know * | |
[42:21] | * Those one-track minds * | |
[42:25] | * That took you for a working boy | |
[42:31] | * Kiss them good-bye * | |
[42:35] | * You shouldn’t have to jump for joy * | |
[42:40] | * You shouldn’t have to jump * | |
[42:42] | * Shout Shout For joy Let it all out | |
[42:46] | * Let it all out * | |
[42:48] | * These are the things I can do without * | |
[42:51] | * Come on * | |
[42:54] | * I’m talking to you * | |
[42:56] | * Come on * | |
[43:00] | * They gave you life * | |
[43:05] | * And in return you gave them hell * | |
[43:10] | * As cold as ice * | |
[43:14] | * I hope we live to tell the tale * | |
[43:19] | * I hope we live to tell Shout Shout The tale * | |
[43:23] | * Let it all out * | |
[43:26] | * These are the things I can do without * | |
[43:30] | * Come on * | |
[43:33] | * I’m talking to you * | |
[43:35] | * Come on * |