时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | the following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event | 以下故事纯属虚构 不影射任何真人真事 |
[00:02] | (TheKinks’ “You Really Got Me” begins) | |
[00:07] | Lana! | |
[00:08] | June 19,1964 | 1964年7月19日 |
[00:10] | You’re supposed to be helping. | 不是让你帮忙吗 |
[00:11] | Sorry,Mir,I forgot I,uh,left it on there. | 对不起 Mir 我忘了 我把它落那儿了 |
[00:14] | Here.Pass the Li’l Smokies. | 拿着 把烟熏肉递给客人 |
[00:16] | Are you sure this barf is edible? | 这东西能吃吗? |
[00:16] | (BobbyVinton’s “Blue Velvet” begins) | 这东西能吃吗? |
[00:19] | Make sure the Jell-O salads aren’t wilting. | 别让果冻沙拉蔫了 |
[00:22] | As I was saying,when Violet told me she had the solution to my kitchen woes, | 当Violet告诉我 她发现了 让我家厨房大变身的法宝时 |
[00:27] | I thought she’d found a way to get my husband home on time for dinner. | 我心想 总算可以让我老公 天天准时回家吃饭了 |
[00:30] | Products are good,but they’re not that good. | 产品很好是没错 但没好到这份上吧 |
[00:33] | These are kosher,right? | 这是犹太料理吗? |
[00:35] | What’s unique is the little “burp.” | 特别之处在于这”噗”的一下 |
[00:37] | It’s the signature sound. | 这是它独有的响声 |
[00:39] | The sound of freshness. | 代表了新鲜的声音 |
[00:41] | I use this one,the Freeze-It,to store dozens of meals. | 我用这个冷冻盒储藏肉类 |
[00:43] | She isn’t kiddin’,ladies.I’ll bet she hasn’t cooked in a week. | 她所言非虚 女士们 我打赌她一周没下过厨房了 |
[00:47] | Honestly,I had no idea my life could change so quickly. | 老实说 我从没料到 我的人生会发生如此大的改变 |
[00:55] | But everything’s in the catalog.Phone me if you have questions. | 目录上有详细介绍 有任何疑问 给我打电话 |
[01:42] | Well,it had to be one of you.It just didn’t get up and walk away. | 肯定是你们其中一个干的 东西总不会自己跑掉 |
[01:45] | What’s missing now? | 这回又丢了什么? |
[01:47] | His cinnamon roll. | 他的肉桂卷 |
[01:49] | Don’t look at me.I don’t eat breakfast. | 别看我 我一向不吃早餐 |
[01:51] | You ate my coffee cake. | 你偷吃了我的咖啡蛋糕 |
[01:53] | Two years ago. | 两年前的事了 |
[01:55] | Least someone’s eating it.Gotta be food in there older than our cold jobs. | 幸好有人把它吃了 否则它可比我们的案子还老 |
[01:59] | Someone ought to clean this thing up. | 得找人把这儿清一下 |
[02:01] | There’s a sponge right over there. | 那边有海绵刷 |
[02:02] | I ain’t the one leaving things here to rot. | 又不是我把东西留在里面发霉烂掉 |
[02:07] | What? | 怎么了? |
[02:09] | Lana was just telling me about her sister. | Lana刚给我说了她姐姐的事 |
[02:11] | Miriam Forrester. | |
[02:15] | Killed August ’64. | 死于64年8月 |
[02:16] | Car hit her on the street by her house,threw her into a ditch. | 在她家附近的公路被人开车撞死 尸体弃置在一条水沟里 |
[02:19] | It was two days before anyone found her. | 两天后才被发现 |
[02:21] | I was a teenager at the time. | 我当时才十几岁 |
[02:23] | Thought my sister was just a repressed ’60s housewife… | 以为我姐姐只是60年代 典型受压抑的家庭主妇… |
[02:27] | – But? – Her husband,Harold,just passed away, | – 然而? – 她丈夫Harold不久前去世了 |
[02:29] | and his family found some of her stuff in his garage. | 他家人在他的车库里发现了我姐姐的东西 |
[02:32] | Knickknacks,junk mail… | 一些小玩意儿 邮寄宣传品什么的… |
[02:34] | and this. | 还有这个 |
[02:35] | – Tupperware box? – That was her big thing. | – 特百惠保鲜盒? – 这是她的头等大事 |
[02:37] | Drove old Harry crazy.Real man-of-the-times,didn’t want the little wife working. | 快把老Harry气疯了 那时代典型的大男人 不想老婆出来工作 |
[02:42] | The thing is,it’s not Tupperware. | 但问题是 里面不是特百惠 |
[02:45] | – That her luggage? – I think someone was returning it to her. | – 她的旅行袋? – 看来有人把这个给她寄回来了 |
[02:48] | But I found this inside. | 但我在里面找到了这个 |
[02:54] | I will hunt you down where you live. | “无论你逃到哪 我都要逮住你” |
[02:56] | Box was sent from… | 箱子从… |
[02:59] | Hazelton,Mississippi. | 密西西比州的黑泽尔寄出 |
[03:00] | Two days before my sister’s body was found. | 我姐姐的尸体被发现前两天 |
[03:03] | August ’64 was Freedom Summer. | 64年8月是”自由之夏” (协助黑人选民登记的民权运动) |
[03:06] | And Hazelton,Mississippi was where all hell was breaking loose. | 密西西比州的黑泽尔正是风暴中心 |
[03:09] | Black and white warfare. | 黑人和白人激烈冲突 |
[03:11] | Ain’t exactly the place a suburban housewife goes for vacation. | 这可不是乡郊主妇的度假场所 |
[03:14] | Was your sister involved in some activism? | 你姐姐有没有参加社会运动? |
[03:16] | As far as I knew,she never left the Philly city limits.Didn’t even know how to drive. | 据我所知 她从未离开过费城 甚至连车都不会开 |
[03:20] | What about her friends? | 那她的朋友呢? |
[03:21] | Only one friend I remember,Violet. | 我只记得她一个朋友 Violet |
[03:23] | But they just sold Tupperware together. | 但她们只是结伴卖特百惠 |
[03:25] | Got a last name? | 姓什么? |
[03:26] | Violet Gold?Golding? | |
[03:29] | I guess I always had a certain view of who my sister was. | 我一直自以为很了解我姐姐 |
[03:33] | Now I’m not so sure. | 现在我说不准了 |
[03:35] | Mississippi,huh? | 密西西比 对吧? |
[03:37] | Please. | 求你们了 |
[03:39] | Tell me you’ll look into this. | |
[04:12] | Cold case Season 6 Episode 03 | |
[04:18] | Miriam Forrester,struck from behind by an unidentified vehicleon Lincoln Drive. | 在林肯大道被不明车辆从后撞倒 |
[04:24] | Found August 8,1964. | 1964年8月8日被发现 |
[04:27] | she was only 22 years old. | 嗯…当时她只有22岁 |
[04:30] | Multiple fractures,abrasions… | 多处骨折 擦伤… |
[04:32] | It’s all consistent with an auto-ped. | 完全符合交通事故的表征 |
[04:36] | Oh,look at this. | 看这个 |
[04:37] | Puncture wound,base of the skull. | 头部下方有刺伤 |
[04:40] | I’ve seen severed limbs crushed ribs– nothin’ like that. | 再严重的四肢和肋骨断裂我也见过 但没见过这样的 |
[04:43] | Body’s found in an overgrown ditch by the road. | 尸体在公路旁一条杂草丛生的 水沟里被发现 |
[04:46] | Minus one glove. | 少了一只手套 |
[04:48] | Burrs in her hair,clothes. | 头发 衣服上挂着刺毛 |
[04:51] | Might have a better idea what caused that wound if decomp hadn’t already set in. | 要不是伤口已经腐烂 也许能看出是什么造成的 |
[04:55] | Detectives confirmed the husband was in Boston for business when it happened. | 调查显示事发时 她丈夫在波士顿出差 |
[04:58] | Failed to mention his wife’s trip to Mississippi. | 也没提过他老婆去了密西西比 |
[05:00] | Maybe he didn’t know. | 也许他不知道 |
[05:02] | Well,that all we got? | 就这么多了? |
[05:03] | A trip to Mississippi during Freedom Summer? | 在”自由之夏”期间去了趟密西西比 |
[05:07] | Her overnight bag was shipped in a Tupperware box. | 旅行袋被装在一个特百惠箱里寄回来 |
[05:10] | – Maybe that’s what brought her down there. – Yeah,kid sister says that was her thing. | – 也许这就是她去那里的原因 – 没错 她妹妹说这对她很重要 |
[05:13] | So what the heck do Tupperware and civil rights have in common? | 到底特百惠和民权运动有什么联系? |
[05:19] | Vera’s hunting down Tupperware ladies from ’64. | Vera正在调查64年卖特百惠的主妇 |
[05:22] | Tell him to be careful.Those ladies can sell snow to Eskimos. | 让他多当心 那帮女人能把雪块卖给爱斯基摩人 |
[05:25] | He’s putting together a list of top sellers from Mount Airy who might’ve known Miriam. | 他把Mount Airy区业绩最好的人列了份名单 也许其中有人认识Miriam |
[05:29] | Violet Golding’s name came up,a couple others. | 其中有Violet Golding的名字 还有一些别的人 |
[05:31] | Take Jeffries; have a talk with this Violet.What about the threat letter? | 带上Jerries 去找Violet谈谈 那封恐吓信呢? |
[05:35] | QD’s checking it out and Latents is taking a look at her overnight bag. | 鉴证科在查了 指纹组在查她的旅行袋 |
[05:39] | Oh,and,uh… | 还有 呃… |
[05:41] | you’re missing an earring. | 你掉了一个耳环 |
[05:43] | Oh,must’ve fallen off on my way to work. | 准是来上班的路上掉了 |
[05:51] | Hey,gorgeous. | 嘿 美女 |
[05:53] | – You look good. – Thanks. | – 你气色不错 – 谢谢 |
[05:56] | Uh,you,too. | 你也是 |
[05:58] | So I’ve been thinking… | 我在想… |
[06:00] | you know what you and me need to do? | 我们俩干点什么好呢? |
[06:03] | – What? – Go on a date. | – 什么? – 来一次约会 |
[06:06] | I mean,a real date. | 我指正式的约会 |
[06:09] | – Okay. – You like bowling? | – 好吧 – 喜欢打保龄球吗? |
[06:12] | Sure. | 当然 |
[06:14] | Boing’s good. | 打保龄挺好 |
[06:16] | Saturday night? | 星期六晚上? |
[06:17] | Maybe do a little Italian place after? | 打完了去吃意大利菜? |
[06:19] | It’ll be good.It’ll be good. | 一定会很棒 很棒 |
[06:22] | – Everything okay? – Yeah,yeah,I… | – 你没事吧? – 没 我… |
[06:25] | I just lost an earring. | 我刚丢了一个耳环 |
[06:29] | – Where? – You know where. | – 在哪儿? – 你知道的 |
[06:32] | Uh,so check for me,will ya? | 帮我找找 好吗? |
[06:35] | Check your pocket. | 在口袋里找找 |
[06:39] | Saturday night. | 星期六晚上 |
[06:47] | Violet Golding? | |
[06:50] | Detectives Jeffries,Rush. | Jeffries警探 Rush警探 |
[06:53] | You were one of Tupperware’s top sellers back in ’64? | 你是特百惠64年的最佳推销员之一? |
[06:56] | Yes.But I don’t sell it anymore. | 是的 但我现在不卖这个了 |
[06:58] | Wondering if you remember Miriam Forrester? | 你还记得Miram Forrester吗? |
[07:01] | I understand the two of you were friends. | 我知道你们以前是朋友 |
[07:04] | Haven’t heard that name in a long time. | 好久没听到这个名字了 |
[07:07] | Your Tupperware parties ever take you to Mississippi? | 特百惠聚会是否带你们去过密西西比? |
[07:10] | Lord,no. | 上帝 没有 |
[07:12] | You have any idea what that kind of humidity does to your hair? | 你不知道那边的湿气 会对你头发造成多大损伤 |
[07:15] | Place was the epicenter of civil rights action. | 那个地方是民权运动的中心 |
[07:18] | Know if Miriam got involved? | Miriam是否加入了? |
[07:20] | What makes you think Miriam was ever in Mississippi? | 为什么你们认为Miriam去了密西西比? |
[07:23] | Well,this was found in her overnight bag. | 这是从她的旅行袋里找到的 |
[07:25] | It was sent from Hazelton,Mississippi. | 寄自密西西比的黑泽尔 |
[07:30] | This mean something to you? | 能让你想到什么吗? |
[07:35] | The Tupperware gals were all about getting a new sofa or some fancy kitchen appliance. | 我们这帮特百惠主妇 只想着得到新沙发或厨具 |
[07:42] | – But Miriam? – Her thoughts ran deeper than that. | – 但Miriam? – 她想的却不止这些 |
[07:45] | (Dionne Warwick’s “Walk On By” begins) | |
[07:51] | Lana make it home all right? | Lana到家了吧? |
[07:53] | Cute as a button,that little thing. | 这小东西真好玩儿 |
[07:58] | Miriam? | |
[08:05] | I know it’s not polite conversation,but have you seen what’s going on down there? | 这样问也许很不礼貌 但你看到发生什么事了吗? |
[08:14] | It’s awful. | 很可怕 |
[08:21] | Are you all right,Miriam? | 你没事吧 Miriam? |
[08:27] | Harold’s never home.Even when he is,we barely talk. | Harold很少回家 即便回来 我们也难得说上几句话 |
[08:31] | I’m grateful to you for showing me Tupperware; I really am.It’s just sometimes… | 我很感激你领着我推销特百惠 真的 只是有时… |
[08:36] | What,dear? | 怎么了 宝贝? |
[08:38] | Do you ever wonder if this is all there is? | 你有没有想过 这辈子仅仅这样过就满足了? |
[08:46] | She was what you would call a “sensitive soul. | 她是那种多愁善感的人 |
[08:50] | ” Miriam didn’t know how to drive. | Miriam不会开车 |
[08:52] | If she went to Mississippi,she would have needed someone to take her. | 她想去密西西比 一定得找人带她去 |
[08:55] | Well,if she did,it wasn’t with me. | 即便她找了 那个人也不会是我 |
[08:58] | I’m sorry. | |
[08:59] | My open house starts in five minutes. | 我的家庭开放日还有5分钟就开始了 |
[09:11] | Hey,look who’s back. | 嘿 看谁回来了 |
[09:13] | Hmm,fit some shopping into your busy day. | 啧 忙里偷闲血拼去了 |
[09:16] | Taking the Tupperware research pretty serious,Nick. | 你把对特百惠的事很上心嘛 Nick |
[09:19] | You wanted names. | 你要名单 |
[09:21] | I got you names. | 我给你找来了 |
[09:23] | Didn’t come cheap,did it? | 这东西不便宜吧? |
[09:24] | Another Tupperware lady waiting for you. | 还有一位特百惠女士等着你 |
[09:27] | Name’s Debra Nelson. | 名字叫Debra Nelson |
[09:30] | No way.You take her. | 没门 你搞定她 |
[09:33] | I’m done with these sharks. | 我受够了这帮食人鲨 |
[09:39] | Been talking to some people in Tupperware,Debra. | 我们和别的特百惠推销员谈过了 Debra |
[09:42] | You made the list of high sellers in ’64. | 你是1964年业绩最佳的推销员之一 |
[09:44] | Tupperware was very popular back then.It still is today. | 特百惠当时非常流行 现在也是 |
[09:47] | Right.See,then we looked you up. | 没错 我们查过你的背景 |
[09:49] | Got a string of arrests in the ’60s and ’70s. | 60至70年代多次被捕 |
[09:52] | Disorderly conduct,civil disobedience… | 罪名包括扰乱社会秩序 非暴力不合作运动… |
[09:55] | I’m proud of that record,protesting for our civil rights. | 我为这些纪录感到骄傲 捍卫人权 |
[09:58] | And for that,I thank you. | 为此 我要感谢你 |
[10:00] | But in between protesting,you’re selling Tupperware. | 但捍卫人权之余 你还在卖特百惠? |
[10:05] | What am I missing here? | 我漏了什么吗? |
[10:07] | Tupperware was just a cover. | 卖特百惠只是一种掩护 |
[10:10] | Cover for what,exactly? | 掩饰什么? |
[10:14] | Wednesday’s Women. | “星期三主妇”协会 |
[10:16] | Housewives who went to Mississippi. | 去密西西比的家庭主妇 |
[10:18] | Traveled on Tuesday,arrived on Wednesday,back by the weekend. | 都是星期二出发 星期三抵达 周末以前赶回去 |
[10:23] | Black and white women?Together? | 黑人和白人妇女一起去? |
[10:25] | We brought supplies to the Freedom Schools. | 我们为”自由学校”提供物资 (民权运动期间为黑人开设的临时学校) |
[10:28] | Tried to help educate black children who were being ignored by the powers-that-be. | 帮助教育被主流社会忽略的黑人儿童 |
[10:33] | You know anyone in Mississippi who might’ve given this threat letter Miriam? | 你知道密西西比 谁有可能 给Miriam寄这封恐吓信吗? |
[10:38] | I stayed in Philly. | 我当时留守费城 |
[10:40] | Made arrangements for the girls who were traveling. | 为女生们安排外出事宜 |
[10:42] | Must’ve been dangerous work for them. | 这项任务对她们而言一定很危险吧 |
[10:44] | It was my job to make them aware of just how dangerous. | 我的工作就是让她们了解任务的危险性 |
[10:50] | When in public,you have to wear your white gloves. | 在公共场合一定要戴上白手套 |
[10:52] | We’ve got to look the part,like genteel Southern ladies. | 我们要注重这个细节 和南方上流社会的女性一样 |
[10:56] | If anyone asks,and they will,tell them you’re there to sell Tupperware. | 如果有人问起 一定会有 就对他们说 你们去是为推销特百惠 |
[11:01] | Even your hosts think that’s what you’re there for. | 对接待你的房东家也得这么说 |
[11:04] | Most important,whites and coloreds can’t be seen together ever. | 记住最重要的是 白人和有色人种不能呆在一起 |
[11:10] | And not just in Mississippi: any state below the Mason-Dixon. | 不仅在密西西比 所有Mason Dixon线以南的州都是这样 南北战争前美国的南北分界线 |
[11:14] | That’s right,Ella. | 说的没错 Ella |
[11:15] | And don’t discuss the locations of the Freedom Schools with anyone,not even each other. | 还有 不要对任何人说自由学校的地址 你们相互间也不能讨论 |
[11:20] | – Why? – Because the KKK is burning them down. | – 为什么? – 因为3K党会把它们烧毁 |
[11:23] | – The schools? – Three activists have gone missing from a town near where we’re going. | – 烧学校吗? – 已有3名志愿者在我们要去的镇子附近失踪 |
[11:28] | College students. | 都是大学生 |
[11:29] | Two white,one black. | 两个白人 一个黑人 1964年6月 3位民权分子在密西西比 奈苏巴县被3K党杀害 据此改编的电影曾获 奥斯卡7项提名 |
[11:31] | Next group leaves first Tuesday in August. | 下一组在8月第一个星期二出发 |
[11:34] | Whoever wants to be in it,come get your gloves. | 想加入的过来领手套 |
[12:07] | Violet Golding was there? | Violet Golding也在场? |
[12:09] | She’s the one who introduced Miriam to the group. | 是她把Miriam介绍进来的 |
[12:11] | You still have that guestbook? | 你还留着协会成员的名册吗? |
[12:13] | Sure,I could find it. | 当然 我能找出来 |
[12:14] | So,Violet not only knew Miriam went to Mississippi,she went with her. | Violet不仅知道Miriam去过密西西比 还和她一起去了 |
[12:19] | Violet,Miriam,Ella,and Belinda. | Violet,Miriam,Ella还有Belinda |
[12:24] | They all went together. | 她们一起去的 |
[12:33] | Violet lied.Went to Mississippi,too. | Violet撒谎 她也去了密西西比 |
[12:36] | On her way in now. | 正在把她找来 |
[12:37] | Can’t wait to…hear her excuse. | 我迫不及待想听听她怎么解释 |
[12:41] | Mint. | 薄荷味的 |
[12:42] | They were out of vanilla bean. | 香草味的卖完了 |
[12:44] | thanks. | 谢谢 |
[12:48] | Sorry,man. | 抱歉 伙计 |
[12:49] | You want mine? | 要喝我的吗? |
[12:51] | – It’s a triple mocha thing. – Come with a spoon? | – 三倍浓缩的摩卡 – 用勺子吃吗? |
[12:55] | That’s a good one. | 很好喝的 |
[13:02] | The boss,hunting me down. | 老板找我 |
[13:04] | Catch you later. | 回头见 |
[13:11] | Found the other women who traveled with Miriam and Violet,boss. | 头儿 找到了其她和Miriam结伴出行的主妇 |
[13:14] | Ella Turner died three years ago of heart disease. | Ella Turner三年前死于心脏病 |
[13:17] | Belinda Hutchins relocated to Hazelton a month after Miriam’s death. | Belinda Hutchins在Miriam死后1个月 搬到了黑泽尔 |
[13:21] | Town must have made quite an impression. | 这一定在镇子上引起了轩然大波 |
[13:22] | Debra found her files. | Debra找到了她的存档 |
[13:24] | Said Miriam’s host was a Kitty Doyle. | 当时接待Miriam的是Kitty Doyle |
[13:27] | – Old Hazelton family. – You up for a trip to Mississippi? | – 黑泽尔的古老家族 – 准备好出发去密西西比了吗? |
[13:31] | Haven’t been since high school. | 打高中以后再没去过那儿 |
[13:33] | I have relatives in Jackson. | 我在杰克逊(密州首府)有亲戚 |
[13:35] | Went every summer growing up. | 以前每年暑假都去 |
[13:37] | Take someone with you.Lil and Scotty went on the last trip. | 挑个人和你去吧 上回Lil和Scotty已经出过差了 |
[13:39] | – …right now. – No,that’s your stuff. | – …赶紧 – 不行 这是你的东西 |
[13:42] | – Look at all the beautiful… – That leaves… | – 你看这东西多棒… – 那就只剩下… |
[13:44] | I don’t care.I ain’t buying no damn Tupperware. | 我不管 我才不会买什么特百惠 |
[13:50] | Lady’s choice. | 女士自由选择 |
[14:02] | Is,uh… that your signature? | 这是你的签名吗? |
[14:07] | Looks like it. | 看来是的 |
[14:09] | Got it from a meeting for Wednesday’s Women. | 从星期三主妇聚会上得来的 |
[14:13] | Ever hear of it? | 听说过吗? |
[14:15] | We’re gonna ask you again,Violet. | 我们再问你一次 Violet |
[14:17] | You ever been to Mississippi? | 你去过密西西比吗? |
[14:24] | Tried like hell to forget all of it. | 我曾经努力想忘掉这一切 |
[14:26] | Wednesday’s Women… Hazelton. | 星期三主妇…黑泽尔 |
[14:30] | Who gave Miriam… | 谁寄给Miriam… |
[14:33] | this letter? | 这封信? |
[14:34] | We all had different hosts,different assignments. | 我们寄住在不同人家 各自有不同任务 |
[14:39] | I never saw that letter. | 我从没见过这封信 |
[14:41] | Tell us what happened down there. | 告诉我们 当时发生了什么事 |
[14:43] | We were all so hopeful. | 我们当时都满怀希望 |
[14:45] | We really thought we could make a difference. | 坚信我们可以改变一切 |
[14:48] | We should have turned around when we had the chance. | 我们应该有机会就掉头回去的 |
[14:51] | (“Come See About Me” by the Supremes playing) | |
[14:58] | Violet,I’m trying to concentrate. | Violet 我得集中精力 |
[15:00] | You’re doing swell for your first time. | 你第一次开车很不错了 |
[15:02] | You just got to give it a little more gas. | 再多踩点油门就行 |
[15:05] | At this rate,we won’t make it to Mississippi till Christmas. | 以这个速度 圣诞节我们才能到密西西比 |
[15:13] | Oh,I think she can do better than that.How about you,Ella? | 我想她能开得更快的 你觉得呢 Ella? |
[15:16] | Didn’t even realize we were moving. | 我都我没觉得我们在移动呢 |
[15:19] | I know how you feel about this car,Violet. | 我知道你们怎么看这车 Violet |
[15:21] | You talk more about your pride and joy than you do Alfred. | 你谈到你的自尊和快乐 倒比谈到Alfred还要多 |
[15:23] | Well,my husband isn’t as pretty as my Studebaker,now is he? | 我老公可没我的Studebaker漂亮 (Studebaker 六七十年代美流行车) |
[15:27] | Oh,come on,Miriam. | 哦 拜托 Miriam |
[15:29] | This ain’t Harold’s old Buick.Floor it. | 这不是Harold的旧别克 油门踩到底 |
[15:39] | Car! | 有车! |
[15:48] | It’s okay now. | 现在没事了 |
[15:51] | Wow,look at us.We’re flying. | 看看 我们在飞 |
[16:07] | We interrupt this program for breaking news. | 下面插播重要新闻 |
[16:09] | The missing civil rights workers,Chaney,Schwerner and Goodman,were found dead today. | 失踪的民权运动成员Chaney Schwerner 以及Goodman的尸体于今天发现 |
[16:13] | President Lyn… | 总统林登・约翰逊… |
[16:19] | They killed them. | 他们被杀了 |
[16:24] | We can’t turn back now.We gotta keep going. | 我们现在不能回头 我们要继续走下去 |
[16:27] | Miriam… you don’t have to do this. | Miriam… 你不必这么做 |
[16:32] | Yes,I do. | 不 我得这么做 |
[16:35] | This isn’t just about me anymore. | 这不再只和我有关了 |
[16:39] | It’s about… | 还和… |
[16:41] | Alfred making you go to his church instead of where you were brought up to go. | Alfred要你去他的教堂 而不是去你从小长大的教堂有关 |
[16:46] | It’s about you and Craig losing your jobs at the factory, | 与你和Craig丢了工作有关 |
[16:48] | about your parents thinking the only reason why you got a college education was to marry a better man. | 和你的父母认为你上大学 就是为了嫁个好男人有关 |
[16:56] | About all of us. | 和我们大家都有关 |
[16:59] | And our friendship. | 还有我们的友谊 |
[17:01] | And the world telling us that we can’t be friends. | 这个社会禁止我们成为朋友 |
[17:18] | All right,then. | 那么好吧 |
[17:21] | Let’s get this car on the road. | 把车开回路上 |
[17:34] | When was the last time you saw her? | 你最后一次见到她是什么时候? |
[17:36] | The drive back. | 开车回去的路上 |
[17:38] | 17 hours of silence. | 17个小时沉默不语 |
[17:40] | – Where’d you drop her off? – Near her house,Friday night. | – 你们在那放她下车的? – 她家附近 周五晚上 |
[17:43] | – Without her luggage? – I didn’t notice. | – 她没带行李? – 我没注意 |
[17:46] | We were all pretty upset by what we had seen down there. | 我们对在密西西比的所见都很沮丧 |
[17:50] | We were told to keep a low profile. | 她告诉我们要保持低调 |
[17:54] | But that wasn’t who Miriam was anymore. | 但她不再是从前的Miriam了 |
[18:07] | Three hours on a plane,and another two in this tin can. | 3小时飞机 加上这罐头车里2小时 |
[18:10] | Try 17 hours in an old beater with leather seats and no AC. | 试试看17小时坐在一辆老古董车里 皮座椅 还没交流电 |
[18:16] | That’s some cruel and unusual family vacation. | 真是残酷而不同寻常的家庭旅行啊 |
[18:19] | Yeah.Dad always made us stop at this catfish joint,Aunt Margie’s. | 爸爸经常停车带我们吃烤鲶鱼 店名叫”Margie阿姨” |
[18:24] | Said it was the best in the state. | 说是本州最佳美味 |
[18:26] | Is it far from here? | 离这儿远吗? |
[18:30] | Wednesday’s Women,you say? | 你说星期三主妇协会? |
[18:33] | Be honest,that type of thing could have gotten her in trouble back then | 老实说 这种东西那会儿 要是被人发现 |
[18:37] | if someone had found out. | 会给她带来麻烦的 |
[18:39] | I always thought it was strange her coming all the way to Mississippi to sell Tupperware. | 我一直觉得她不辞辛苦跑来密西西比 卖特百惠有点奇怪 |
[18:44] | Why did you let her stay with you? | 那你怎么还收她住下? |
[18:46] | Church said a nice lady from up North needed a bed. | 教堂的人说有个北方来的和善小姐 需要住宿 |
[18:49] | I thought it was the Christian thing to do. | 我以为是什么基督教的事情 |
[18:51] | You were the one who sent Miriam’s overnight case back to her? | 是你把Miriam的旅行箱寄给她的吗? |
[18:54] | Yes,I used the same box that I bought the Tupperware in. | 是的 我用过一样的箱子 是装特百惠产品的 |
[18:59] | Uh,you were home on leave right then,weren’t you? | 当时你正回家休假 对吗? |
[19:02] | My sister’s hospitality extends to more than just strangers. | 我姐姐的热情好客是出了名的 |
[19:07] | Why didn’t she take her bag with her? | 她为什么没把旅行包带走呢? |
[19:09] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[19:10] | She was here on a Thursday night,and then,in the morning she was gone. | 她周四晚上还在这 到了第二天早上就走了 |
[19:15] | Didn’t even say good-bye or anything. | 连再见都没说 |
[19:17] | I… thought it was rude at the time,but… | 我…觉得那会她挺失礼的 但是… |
[19:20] | Puts things into focus. | 把事情都归结起来想想 |
[19:22] | Things such as? | 什么样的事情? |
[19:24] | That time we were in town. | 那会我们在城里 |
[19:26] | Ms. Miriam saw that pretty black lady. | Miriam女士遇见那位漂亮的黑人小姐 |
[19:28] | You knew something was amiss. | 你知道有点不对劲 |
[19:38] | You need anything from a store,Jim can always bring you into town. | 如果你需要去商店买东西 Jim可以带你来镇上 |
[19:42] | Appreciate your kindness,Jim. | 谢谢你的好意 Jim |
[19:44] | Yeah,wouldn’t want you thinking we’re all a bunch of hicks down here. | 不想让你觉得我们都是乡巴佬 |
[19:47] | But I got to admit,I still think you talk funny. | 但是我得说 你谈吐很风趣 |
[19:50] | Oh,yeah?Well,you talk funny,too. | 哦 是吗? 你也很有趣 |
[19:54] | What are you gonna do once Jim’s Army leave’s over? | Jim的离部队休假完了后 要做些什么? |
[19:58] | I mean,I only just learned how to drive myself. | 我刚学会了自己开车 |
[20:00] | Don’t know.Now,when exactly that gonna be,Jim? | 不知道 你什么时候走 Jim? |
[20:02] | Ha,ha,ain’t you funny? | 哈哈 你还真是会开玩笑 |
[20:04] | All he wants to do is waste time with his friends. | 他尽知道和朋友厮混消磨时间了 |
[20:09] | To be young again. | 觉得自己又年轻了 |
[20:10] | There they are now. | 他们在那 |
[20:12] | Jonathan,you tell your mama thanks for that ambrosia now,you hear? | Jonathan 谢谢你妈妈的美食 听到没? |
[20:19] | Watch what you’re doing there,gal. | 走路小心点 |
[20:23] | – You two know each other? – No,ma’am. | – 你们俩认识? – 不认识 女士 |
[20:25] | What she means is we…we saw each other yesterday. | 她的意思是我们… 我们昨天见过 |
[20:28] | She was inquiring if I was in need of a maid service. | 她问我要不要女仆 |
[20:30] | And she told me she was just visiting,but maybe the lady of the house… | 她告诉我 她只是来拜访此地 但也许她借住的主人家… |
[20:35] | I certainly don’t need a clumsy maid. | 我肯定不需要笨手笨脚的女仆 |
[20:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[20:43] | This the woman Miriam saw? | 这就是Miriam见到的那个女人? |
[20:46] | Why,yes.Yes,that’s her. | 对 对 就是她 |
[20:49] | Clumsy maid graduated top of her class from Penn. | 笨手笨脚的女仆以全班头名的成绩 从宾大毕业 |
[20:53] | Explains why she was so mad at the time. | 怪不得那会她有点失态 |
[20:57] | I guess. | 我猜的 |
[20:58] | Those were dark days for us all,but things are different now. | 当时对我们来说都是段黑暗时光 但现在一切都不同了 |
[21:02] | – There’s a new South. – KKK was driving activists to the county line, | – 南部已经完全不同了 – 3K党把民权分子赶到郡的边界 |
[21:06] | forcing them out of town back then. | 强迫他们离开镇上 |
[21:08] | Anyone you can ink of had a problem with Miriam being here? | 你能想起来Miriam在这儿时 与谁有过节吗? |
[21:12] | No.She was a charmer. | 没有 她是个可人儿 |
[21:15] | Certainly made me see Yankees in a different light. | 让我对北方人有了新的看法 |
[21:18] | Know who might have given her this? | 知道是谁给她这个的吗? |
[21:23] | Goodness,no. | 天啊 不知道 |
[21:25] | But if she was sneaking around in that group like you say,ain’t no telling. | 但如果她偷偷摸摸参加了 你说的那个组织 就不好说了 |
[21:39] | – Don’t throw it like a girl. – Watch it,buddy. | – 使点力气 – 看好了 老兄 |
[21:43] | And Rush steps up to the line. | Rush走到了线前 |
[21:45] | It’s all hanging in the balance here,folks. | 场上情况悬而未决 |
[21:47] | Everything riding on this shot. | 就看这一击结果如何 |
[21:50] | Will she or won’t she get to keep the shoes? | 她能否成功保持局势? |
[22:04] | I am kicking your butt! | 让你瞧瞧我的厉害! |
[22:07] | I’m a bowling shark,lady,all right.I’m just priming you up. | 我可是保龄高手 女士 我那是在鼓励你 |
[22:09] | – Don’t be a sore sport. – Ain’t over till it’s over. | – 别这么酸溜溜了 – 不到终场哨响 比赛就不算结束 |
[22:17] | The boss? | 头? |
[22:19] | Yeah? | 是我 |
[22:22] | When? | 时间? |
[22:28] | It’s happening. | 该来的还是来了 |
[22:31] | Kept trying to stall it. | 我一直努力想拖延时间 |
[22:34] | Tell ’em that they should take somebody else. | 告诉他们应该找别人去 |
[22:38] | But it’s you. | 但是他们找了你 |
[22:40] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[22:44] | When? | 什么时候? |
[22:46] | Ship out later tonight. | 今晚迟些时候坐船走 |
[22:50] | So what does this mean?You gonna roll into town under cover of darkness, | 那这是什么意思? 你又要进城去卧底了 |
[22:54] | and drop me secret letters if I promise not to blow your cover? | 如果我答应不揭穿你的身份 就给我寄些秘密情书? |
[22:59] | I should have told you before you took advantage of me. | 在你占我便宜前 我就该告诉你 |
[23:04] | Uh,don’t look so guilty. | 别表现得这么愧疚 |
[23:07] | It’s all right.It really is. | 没事 真的 |
[23:09] | Ain’t guilt I’m feeling. | 我没感到负罪 |
[23:14] | You’re gonna miss me. | 你会想我的 |
[23:30] | Tell you what.Night’s still young. | 这样吧 时间还早呢 |
[23:33] | Want to pick up a bottle of wine,hit this place I know? | 想去我熟悉的地方喝点酒吗? |
[23:37] | Wine’s good. | 喝点酒不错 |
[23:40] | But how about we skip dinner? | 晚饭免了如何? |
[23:44] | Let’s get out of here. | 我们走吧 |
[23:53] | t the whole morning comparing Miriam’s puncture wound with other auto-peds. | 一早上都在比较Miriam的穿刺伤和 其他车祸事故中的受害者有何不同 |
[23:57] | Still don’t make sense. | 还是毫无头绪 |
[23:59] | Cars were tanks back then.Could’ve been something on the hood? | 那时候的车都很皮实 引擎盖有什么发现吗? |
[24:03] | Hood ornament? | 引擎盖的装饰吗? |
[24:06] | Nah,car’s too low. | 不 车底盘太低了 |
[24:08] | Report’s back from Questioned Documents.ESDA machine got an impression off Miriam’s letter. | 文件鉴定的结果出来了 Miriam的信 静电检测仪测出了压痕 |
[24:13] | So what’d they give you? | 写的是什么? |
[24:14] | Name “Cordell. | 名叫”Cordell” |
[24:16] | ” Anonymous letter isn’t so anonymous after all. | 匿名信到头来匿不成名了 |
[24:26] | Belinda Hutchins? | |
[24:30] | Yes?I’m Belinda Hutchins. | 是 我是Belinda Hutchins |
[24:31] | Detectives Jeffries,Miller.Philadelphia Police Department. | Jeffries Miller警探 费城警察局的 |
[24:34] | This place used to be a Freedom School? | 这儿以前是个自由学校? |
[24:37] | The last one standing.How can I help you? | 硕果仅存的一所学校 有什么能为你们做的? |
[24:39] | We’re investigating the possible murder of Miriam Forrester. | 我们在调查Miriam Forrester 被人谋杀的可能性 |
[24:42] | Understand you took a trip with her,down here summer of ’64. | 你跟她一起在64年去旅行过 |
[24:46] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[24:47] | You ever see this letter? | 你见过这封信吗? |
[24:54] | Did someone give this to Miriam? | 是谁给Miriam的? |
[24:56] | Name Cordell mean anything to you? | Cordell这个名字你有印象吗? |
[25:04] | I knew he was angry,but… | 我知道他很生气 但… |
[25:07] | You knew the guy? | 你认识这个人? |
[25:08] | Most of the white residents saw us as invaders– threatening their way of life. | 大部分白人居民把我们视为侵犯者 威胁到了他们的生活 |
[25:14] | But they weren’t the only ones who didn’t want us around. | 但他们并非唯一不希望 我们生活在他们身边的 |
[25:18] | (“Will the Circle be Unbroken?” by Jimmy Collier playing) | |
[25:21] | You pick a poem,Lavan? | 选了哪首诗 Lavan? |
[25:27] | Mother to Son? | <慈母教子>? |
[25:30] | “Life for me ain’t been no crystal stair.” | “生活对我而言不再是水晶楼梯” |
[25:33] | “It’s had tacks in it, and splinters,And boards torn up.” | “途中有荆棘也有坎坷 充满了艰辛” |
[25:37] | “And places with no carpet on the floor “Bare | “路上没有繁花锦缎 荒芜一片” |
[25:42] | But all the time”I’ve been a-climbing on | “但 我一直努力向上攀爬” |
[25:46] | I like thaone. … | 我喜欢这首 |
[25:53] | Penny,it’s your turn.You choose the next poem. | Penny 到你了 选下一首诗 |
[25:56] | – What’s the matter? – One of the girls said she’s writing a poem for me. | – 怎么了? – 有个女孩说她在为我写一首诗 |
[26:00] | Said it’d be done next week. | 说下周就写好 |
[26:03] | I didn’t have the heart to tell her I’ll be long gone by then. | 我没勇气告诉她 到时我已经不在了 |
[26:07] | Come on. | 来 |
[26:09] | – Belinda,you’re doing what you can. – But they still need so much. | – Belinda 你已经尽力了 – 但他们需要得更多 |
[26:13] | We’re here together at least. | 至少我们在一起努力 |
[26:15] | So,we’ll double our efforts,and we’ll make the most of the time that we have. | 所以我们加倍努力 在有限的时间里充分利用每分每秒 |
[26:20] | – Feel real proud of yourself,don’t you? – Excuse me? | – 你还真引以为荣 是吗? – 你是? |
[26:24] | I’ve tried to go along with you do-gooders comin’ down,but not anymore. | 我一直想跟你们这些乐善好施的人 好好相处 但我不会再这样做了 |
[26:27] | Not with schools being burned. | 如果学校被烧掉的话 |
[26:29] | – That’s not because of us. – Isn’t it? | – 那不是我们的缘故 – 不是吗? |
[26:31] | White volunteers like you come pass out pencils and all the sudden the Klan somehow knows the locations of our schools. | 你这种白人一来当志愿者 3K党就突然知道我们学校的位置了 |
[26:36] | We’re here because we want to help the Freedom Schools. | 我们来是因为我们想为 自由学校出份力 |
[26:38] | You willing to die for it? | 即便为此付出生命代价? |
[26:41] | We’d all be better off if you’d go back home and never come back…. | 如果你回家去 再也别回来的话 我们大家都会好起来的 |
[26:51] | Two other schools he started were burned to the ground by the Klan. | 他创办的其他两所学校 都被3K党一把火夷为平地了 |
[26:55] | You know where to find him? | 知道去哪找他吗? |
[26:57] | He teaches law at the university. | 他在大学教法律 |
[27:03] | Recognize her,Professor? | 认得她吗 教授? |
[27:06] | One of the volunteers who came down the summer of ’64,isn’t she? | 64年夏天来教书的志愿者 是吧? |
[27:10] | Miriam Forrester.Part of Wednesday’s Women. | Miriam Forrester 星期三主妇协会的 |
[27:14] | – Weren’t exactly a fan of the group,were you? – What’s it matter now? | – 你对那组织没什么好感 对吧? – 现在讲这些干嘛? |
[27:17] | Miriam was run down in Philly two days after leaving Hazelton. | Miriam离开黑泽尔两天后 就在费城被车撞死 |
[27:21] | You think I had something to do with it? | 你觉得我与此有关? |
[27:23] | She was the reason your Freedom Schools got bombed,right? | 她是你的自由学校被烧掉的原因 |
[27:27] | That’s what you said the day you two had the shout-down. | 你俩吵架那天你是这么说的 |
[27:30] | We know how upset you were,Professor. | 我们知道你有多恼火 教授 |
[27:33] | What happened to your brother. | 你哥哥的遭遇 |
[27:35] | Kind of anger you must have been feeling? | 你肯定觉得很气愤 |
[27:38] | Schools burning down only made it worse. | 学校被烧让你心情更差 |
[27:40] | No one gave a damn about the black folk being killed that summer. | 没人关心那年夏天死了个黑人 |
[27:43] | Only cared about finding those two white college boys. | 人们只关心寻找那两个 白人男大学生的下落 |
[27:47] | – What were their names? – Goodman and Schwerner. | – 他们叫什么? – Goodman和Schwerner |
[27:51] | Right. | 对 |
[27:53] | Goodman and Schwerner. | Goodman和Schwerner |
[27:55] | Thing was,while the FBI’s trawling the bogs for those white boys, | FBI在沼泽里打捞这些 白人小孩的尸体时 |
[27:59] | they find seven other black men,murdered and tossed in the swamps like trash. | 找到了7具黑人尸体 被人谋杀的 像丢垃圾一样被丢进沼泽 |
[28:04] | They were relieved every time it was a black man. | 每次发现是个黑人 他们都会感到很欣慰 |
[28:07] | Not one of the white boys being found dead. | 一直没找到那两个白人男孩的尸体 |
[28:12] | st another critter. | 只是又找到头死牛 |
[28:14] | Except one of those critters was your brother Keith. | 只是有一头就是你哥哥Keith |
[28:17] | Got your DMV records. | 从车管局拿到了你的记录 |
[28:19] | Inherited your brother’s old station wagon after he died. | 你哥哥死后 你继承了他的旧旅行车 |
[28:23] | What makes you think I cared enough to follow that woman up North? | 你们怎么会认为我有功夫 跟踪那女人到北方去? |
[28:27] | Your own words. | 你自己说的 |
[28:29] | I will hunt you down where you live. | 我会追你到天涯海角 |
[28:32] | Your name was on that letter,Cordell. | Cordell 你的名字就在信上 |
[28:35] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[28:37] | I gave her this letter. | 我给了她这封信 |
[28:40] | But I didn’t write it. | 但不是我写的 |
[28:56] | I know you think this is just a lark for me.That I’ll compromise the work being… | 我知道你认为我到这里只是好玩 是我害学校被人… |
[29:00] | Surprised you’re still here. | 没想到你还在这儿 |
[29:02] | – I’m here because the people up North don’t understand what’s going on. – ‘Cause it don’t matter to them. | – 我在这儿 因为北方人还不明白 – 因为不关他们的事 |
[29:05] | It matters to me. | 但关我的事 |
[29:07] | And to the people of Philadelphia… | 也关费城人的事… |
[29:09] | – to the whole country. – Then show ’em this! | – 关乎到整个国家的事 – 那就让他们看看这个! |
[29:18] | Someone gave this to you? | 谁给你的? |
[29:19] | Get them every day practically. | 基本上每天都能收到 |
[29:21] | – Paper my walls with ’em. – People need to hear about this. | – 在我墙上贴满了这些 – 人们需要知道这些 |
[29:24] | You think it’ll change anything? | 你以为它能改变一切吗? |
[29:27] | It changed me. | 它改变了我 |
[29:32] | Come on! | 走! |
[29:34] | Everybody,come on!Hurry up. | 大家快走! 快点 |
[29:35] | Come on.Come on. | 快 快 |
[29:37] | It’s okay.I got you. | 没事的 我抱你 |
[29:47] | Building was nothing but ashes after that. | 后来校舍就被烧成了灰 |
[29:50] | – Any idea who did it? – Freedom Summer? | – 想过是谁干的吗? – 自由夏天? |
[29:54] | Klan membership in Hazelton went from a few hundred to 8,000. | 黑泽尔的3K党徒从几百人发展到8千人 |
[29:58] | Too many to finger. | 太多了 都数不过来 |
[30:01] | Probably some with badges. | 其中一些人还是警察 |
[30:04] | Anyone see Miriam coming or going to the school? | 有人看到Miriam进出学校吗? |
[30:07] | Maybe the same person who threw that bomb. | 也许就是扔炸弹的人 |
[30:11] | I thought she might’ve kept her word. | 我想她也许真得信守了承诺 |
[30:14] | Tried to tell the world what was really going on here. | 想要告诉全世界这发生的事 |
[30:18] | The thing is… | 可关键是… |
[30:20] | she never got the chance. | 她从未得到这个机会 |
[30:27] | The things are everywhere. | 这东西到处都是 |
[30:29] | These burrs made a real mess of my hair when I was a kid. | 我还是孩子时 这玩意把头发害惨了 |
[30:33] | Red clay all over my clothes,mud between my toes. | 衣服上满是红粘土 脚趾里全是泥巴 |
[30:35] | Sounds like a tomboy heaven. | 听起来像假小子的天堂 |
[30:39] | Think they’ll ever find out who killed Cordell’s brother? | 想过他们是否会找到 杀害Cordell哥哥的凶手吗? |
[30:41] | I think they’d rather forget it ever happened. | 我认为他们情愿早点忘记 |
[30:43] | Along with segregation,Jim Crow. | 就像忘记种族隔离 Jim Crow Jim Crow 原指”黑人” 是美国种族主义者对黑人的蔑称 也译作”黑人隔离法” |
[30:46] | – Mmm,stuff Veronica will read about in her history books. – Yeah. | – Veronica将在历史书上学到这些 – 对哦 |
[30:50] | I just thank God she’s growing up now. | 感谢上帝 她现在长大了 |
[30:54] | There were burrs in Miriam’s clothes,right? | Miriam衣服上有刺毛 是吗? |
[30:57] | On her clothes and hair. | 衣服上和头发上全是 |
[30:59] | What if she picked them up here? | 如果是她在这里就沾上的呢? |
[31:02] | – In Hazelton? – Just like I did. | – 在黑泽尔? – 就像我这样 |
[31:04] | But why would a lady like Miriam drive home 17 hours with burrs in her hair? | 为何像Miriam这样的女士驱车17小时回家 头发上还挂着刺毛 |
[31:12] | Miriam’s injuries just weren’t sitting right. | Miriam的伤口看上去有点不对劲 |
[31:15] | I’m looking for anything so I pull the DMV records for Violet’s ’56 Studebaker. | 我在车管局的记录里查找 Violet的56年产Studebaker车 |
[31:20] | Car she drove to Mississippi? | 就是她开去密西西比的那辆车? |
[31:22] | Turns out she junks it at Meyer’s Salvage,September ’64,a few weeks after her trip. | 发现她那次旅行后几周就卖掉了车 |
[31:27] | Scrapped her “pride and joy”? | 完全抹去了她的”骄傲和快乐”? |
[31:29] | – She’s trying to hide something. – Miller was right. | – 她试图掩盖什么 – Miller的看法没错 |
[31:32] | The burr found on Miriam’s body was a Dixie tick trefoil. | Miriam尸体上的刺毛叫Dixie tick车轴草 |
[31:35] | Only found in Mississippi and four surrounding states. | 只生长在密西西比和邻近四个州 |
[31:38] | So how does a body with evidence from Mississippi end up in Philly? | 那么带有密西西比证据的尸体 怎么会在费城发现? |
[31:42] | Philly was the dump site.She was already dead. | 费城是弃尸地 她早就死了 |
[31:45] | Violet got rid of her car ’cause it was used to transport a body. | Violet必须解决掉车子 因为它曾用来转移尸体 |
[31:49] | And all this time they’ve been covering it up. | 这么多年来他们一直在掩盖 |
[32:04] | Whatever happened to that Studebaker,Violet? | 那辆Studebaker里发生了什么 Violet? |
[32:09] | I don’t recall. | 我记不得了 |
[32:11] | Your “pride and joy. | 是你的”骄傲和快乐” |
[32:14] | ” That’s what Miriam called it. | 那是Miriam这么说的 |
[32:16] | Sure you can’t remember? | 你肯定想不起来了? |
[32:18] | It was time for a Cadillac. | 是时候换辆卡迪拉克了 |
[32:20] | Let me refresh your memory. | 我来给你提个醒吧 |
[32:24] | Your precious Studebaker was in a scrap heap two weeks after your trip. | 你珍贵的Studebaker在那次旅行后 两周就被扔进了废铜烂铁堆 |
[32:27] | There’s red clay under Miriam’s nails,burrs in her hair that only come from Mississippi. | Miriam的指甲下有红粘土 她头发里的刺毛只在密西西比有 |
[32:32] | Now,what happened?! | 到底发生了什么事?! |
[32:38] | We didn’t kill her. | 我们没杀她 |
[32:40] | But you brought Miriam’s body back to Philly. | 但你们把Miriam的尸体带回了费城 |
[32:43] | We didn’t know what else to do. | 我们不知道还能干什么 |
[32:48] | We didn’t even… know anything was wrong until we got the call. | 我们不…知道出了岔子 直到接到那个电话 |
[32:56] | What call? | 哪个电话? |
[32:58] | A man called Violet at her host’s house and said | 有个男的打电话到Violet房东家去 |
[33:03] | he knew who we were and why we were there. | 说他知道我们是谁 为什么到那儿去 |
[33:08] | Said we’d best come get Miriam. | 叫我们最好去接Miriam |
[33:11] | Get our black asses out of Hazelton before the same thing happened to us. | 让我们这些死黑鬼滚出黑泽尔 以免也落得同样下场 |
[33:19] | Come to get Miriam where? | 去哪儿Miriam? |
[33:22] | Tell me what happened,Violet. | 告诉我发生了什么 Violet |
[33:23] | You don’t have to keep this anymore. | 你用不着再避而不谈了 |
[33:29] | At the swamp. | 去沼泽 |
[33:43] | Miriam? | |
[33:52] | We were babies. | 我们那时只是孩子 |
[33:56] | Scared out of our minds. | 吓得六魂无主 |
[33:58] | You didn’t go for help? | 你没去向别人求助? |
[34:00] | I was naive enough to think we could. | 我太天真了 认为有人会帮我们 |
[34:07] | We got to get help. | 我们得去找人帮忙 |
[34:09] | – Call the cops. – For all we know,it’s the cops who did this. | – 去报警 – 我们都知道 这是警察干的 |
[34:20] | We got to go now! | 我们快走! 现在! |
[34:30] | The tire tracks ran off into the swamp. | 车轮印一直延伸到沼泽里 |
[34:39] | A hood ornament… | 一个引擎盖装饰… |
[34:41] | from the car that hit Miriam? | 从撞了Miriam的那辆车上掉的? |
[34:45] | I kept her glove all this time. | 我还一直留着她的手套 |
[34:50] | Hasn’t been a day in 40 years that… | 40年里我没有哪天… |
[34:55] | I haven’t gone through it all in my mind,wondered how it could have been different. | 不想着这事 想着可能会有另一种结局 |
[35:08] | Knew a car couldn’t have caused that wound on Miriam’s skull. | 小轿车无法造成Miriam颅骨的伤痕 |
[35:11] | Hood ornament would have been too low. | 引擎盖装饰的位置太低了 |
[35:14] | – But a truck could. – Only a couple of ’em had fancy ornaments. | – 但卡车可以做到 – 只有几种车有这种花哨装饰 |
[35:17] | – That a GMC Deluxe? – Yeah, | – 那辆通用豪华车? – 是的 |
[35:19] | and guess who reported one stolen in Hazelton,summer of ’64. | 猜猜是谁报警说自己的车在64年夏天 在黑泽尔被偷了? |
[35:26] | Why are we here? | 干嘛来这儿? |
[35:28] | You remember the truck you reported missing in ’64,Jim? | 你记得你在64年报失的卡车吗 Jim? |
[35:31] | We’re gonna do you a solid,help you find it. | 我们帮你大忙 帮你找到它 |
[35:33] | We got an idea of where to look. | 我们直到去哪找了 |
[35:35] | Hidden at the bottom of the swamp. | 藏在沼泽底 |
[35:36] | But you’ve always known where it was.Haven’t you? | 但你一直知道车在哪 是吗? |
[35:39] | Now,wait a second. | 等一会 |
[35:42] | Summer of ’64,every Tom,Dick,and Harry joined the Ku Klux Klan,took up arms. | 64年夏天每一个人都加入了三K党 拿上武器 |
[35:47] | – You wanted to be one of ’em. – You’re wrong about that. | – 你想成为他们的一员 – 你错了 |
[35:49] | My family believed in equal protection for everybody.Always had. | 我家族相信应该平等地保护每一个人 一直是这样 |
[35:53] | Your family,yes. | 你的家族 是的 |
[35:55] | But you weren’t like your family. | 但你和你的家人不一样 |
[35:57] | You weren’t home on leave.You lied to your sister. | 你不是因为休假而回家、 你向你姐姐撒谎 |
[36:00] | You were thrown out of the Army for dishonorable conduct. | 你因为某些丢人的行为被军队开除 |
[36:03] | Kicked out of high school.Couldn’t keep a job at the sawmill. | 被踢出高中 连小作坊的工作都保不住 |
[36:05] | KKK was the only club that would have you. | 3K党是你唯一容身之地 |
[36:08] | I made good over the years; I did a lot of good things. | 我这些年一直在补偿 我做了不少好事 |
[36:10] | Don’t change the past. | 但改变不了过去 |
[36:13] | Hiding behind white sheets,burning crosses,Molotov cocktails. | 躲在白袍里 焚烧十字架 燃烧瓶 (3K党的典型特征) |
[36:17] | The New South,right,Jim? | 新南方 是吧 Jim? |
[36:19] | Miriam disappeared same night as your pickup. | Miriam和你的车在同一晚失踪 |
[36:22] | You find out what she was really up to,try to run her out of town? | 你发现了她的真实目的 想把她赶出镇里? |
[36:26] | We’re gonna pull your truck out of the swamp,Jim. | Jim 我们准备把你的卡车拉出沼泽 |
[36:29] | Talk now or the evidence is going to do the talking for you. | 现在就交代 要不那些证据会指证你 |
[36:36] | I never meant that lady harm. | 我从来没想伤害那位女士 |
[36:39] | What went wrong,Jim? | 发生了什么事 Jim? |
[36:42] | I thought she was…a silly housewife. | 我以为她是个傻呼呼的主妇 |
[36:46] | Learned the hard way she was a lot more than that. | 花了点功夫知道她远远不止这样 |
[37:03] | Saw you buy those pencils at the five-and-dime yesterday. | 昨天看到你在廉价店买了些铅笔 |
[37:08] | You ain’t down here to sell Tupperware.Are you,Ms.Miriam? | Miriam女士你到这不是卖特百惠 是吗? |
[37:12] | I don’t see the reason for us to be out here,Jim. | 我不知道我们干嘛要来这 Jim |
[37:15] | I heard some fool firebombed another one of them colored schools. | 我听说有傻瓜炸掉了 一所有色人种的学校 |
[37:18] | Shame,ain’t it? | 可耻不是吗? |
[37:21] | Funny thing is I could have sworn I saw you on that same road with a critter. | 有意思 我肯定看到你和一个怪人 一起走在那条街上 |
[37:27] | I want you to take me home now. | 我要你马上带我回家 |
[37:29] | Hey,critter-lover.Where you going? | 怪人的情人 你要去哪? |
[37:32] | Hey,boys,y’all are just in time. | 嗨 小伙子们 你们来的正是时候 |
[37:34] | Ms.Miriam was just about to tell me about that colored school. | Miriam女士正打算跟我讲讲 有色人种的学校 |
[37:36] | – I don’t know what you’re talking about. – I hear there’s only one left. | – 我不知道你在说什么 – 我听说只剩一所了 |
[37:41] | Now,tell us where it’s at,real reason you’re in Mississippi,and we can all just go home. | 告诉我们地址 你来密西西比的 真正原因 然后大家都能回家 |
[37:45] | Your sister told you why I’m here.It’s to sell Tupperware. | 你姐姐告诉过你 我为什么在这 我是来卖特百惠的 |
[37:48] | That’s bull,and you know it. | 那是胡扯 你知道 |
[37:51] | The women o-of Hazelton haven’t had the pleasure of experiencing this revolutionary new product. | 黑泽尔顿的妇女尚未有机会体验 这种革命性的新产品 |
[37:55] | W-When you close the lid,it makes a little burp. | 当你扣上盖子时 会发出”噗”的一下 |
[37:57] | It’s the signature sound: the sound of freshness. | 这是它独有的响声: 代表了新鲜 |
[38:00] | – This is a damn joke.- I-I used to spend hours in the kitchen,but now… | – 这是个笑话 – 我以前常待在厨房里 但是现在… |
[38:03] | Shut your mouth about the damn Tupperware! | 闭嘴 别再推销那见鬼的特百惠! |
[38:05] | I saw the way you looked at that darky in town. | 我看到你看镇里那个黑鬼的眼神 |
[38:07] | You knew her. | 你认识她 |
[38:08] | You ain’t no Tupperware lady. | 你不是卖特百惠的推销员 |
[38:11] | I can tell you anything you want to know about the product because I use it myself. | 我能告诉你关于这产品的任何事 因为我自己也用 |
[38:17] | Hey,where you going? | 嗨 你们去哪? |
[38:21] | Is you some kind of idiot? | 你傻了吗? |
[38:23] | This lady don’t know squat. | 这位女士不知道什么叫屈服 |
[38:26] | Tell him. | 告诉他 |
[38:27] | Would you tell him? | 你会告诉他们吗? |
[38:29] | Before they leave! | 在他们走之前! |
[38:33] | Where do you think you’re going? | 你想去哪? |
[38:35] | Don’t touch me.You’re pathetic. | 别碰我 你真可怜 |
[39:09] | I don’t understand,Violet. | 我不明白 Violet |
[39:12] | Your friend was dead. | 你的朋友死了 |
[39:14] | Why didn’t you go to the police,report what happened? | 你为什么不去报警 报告发生了什么事? |
[39:18] | We did. | 我们报了 |
[39:19] | We didn’t stop till we got to Philly. | 我们回费城的路上一直都在报警 |
[39:22] | We thought it’d be safe here. | 我们以为这里会安全点 |
[39:24] | The North,right? | 在北方 对吗? |
[39:32] | My name’s Violet Golding. | 我叫Violet Golding |
[39:36] | We need to talk to someone. | 我们得找人谈谈 |
[39:38] | – You with them? – Excuse me? | – 你和他们一起? – 什么? |
[39:40] | I’m rry; I-I know how strange this must seem, | 我很抱歉 我知道这样看起来很奇怪 |
[39:42] | – but if you’ll just listen to… – Hang on a sec. | – 但是如果你能听我们说… – 等等 |
[39:45] | Now,are these women bothering you?You’re shaking like a leaf. | 这些女人骚扰你了吗? 你抖得像片叶子 |
[39:49] | Look,sit down. | 来 坐着 |
[39:51] | You two,come with me. | 你们俩 跟我来 |
[39:55] | But we have to do something. | 但我们得做点什么 |
[39:56] | Oh,I’ll take care of it.Don’t you worry. | 我会处理的 你别担心 |
[39:58] | Stop. | 别这样 |
[39:59] | Please. | 求你了 |
[40:02] | We have to tell you what happened. | 我们得告诉你发生了什么事 |
[40:05] | Two coloreds and a Jew walking into a police station at 3:00 A.M.? | 凌晨3点 2个有色人和1个犹太人 走进警局? |
[40:08] | Now,this is going to be good. | 真是太好了 |
[40:11] | – Please… – Violet. | – 别… |
[40:13] | Come on.Let’s just go. | 算了 我们走吧 |
[40:17] | Come on. | 来 |
[40:20] | Let’s just get out of here. | 我们离开这里 |
[40:48] | (“let it shine”) | |
[40:48] | * This little light of mine * | |
[40:53] | * I’m gonna let it shine * | |
[40:56] | * This little light of mine * | |
[41:00] | * I’m gonna let it shine * | |
[41:05] | * This little light of mine * | |
[41:09] | * I’m gonna let it shine Let it shine, * | |
[41:14] | * let it shine Let it shine * | |
[41:21] | * Everywhere I go I’m gonna let it shine Oh * | |
[41:29] | * everywhere I go I’m gonna let it shine * | |
[41:37] | * Everywhere I go I’m gonna let it shine * | |
[41:44] | * Let it shine,let it shine Let it shine * | |
[41:52] | * Let it shine,let it shine Let it shine Oh.. * | |
[42:01] | * Out in the dark * | |
[42:04] | * I’m gonna let it shine I’m gonna let it shine Oh * | |
[42:08] | * Out in the dark (Out in the dark) * | |
[42:12] | * I’m gonna let it shine (I’m gonna let it shine) * | |
[42:16] | * Out in the dark (Out in the dark) * | |
[42:19] | * I’m gonna let it shine Let it shine, * | |
[42:24] | * let it shine Let it shine (I’m gonna let it shine) * | |
[42:29] | * Let it shine,let it shine Let it shine * | |
[42:38] | *(Even in my home )Even in my home (I’m gonna let it shine Oh,) * | |
[42:44] | * I’m gonna let it shine * | |
[42:47] | *(Even in my home )Even in my home * | |
[42:49] | * I’m gonna let it shine Oh, * | |
[42:52] | *(let it shine Even in my home )Even in my home… * | |
[42:57] | * I’m gonna let it shine Let it shine Oh * | |
[43:03] | * Let it shine Oh t it shine Oh, * | |
[43:07] | * let it shine Let it shine Shine… * | |
[43:11] | * shine Let it shine, * | |
[43:14] | * let it shine Oh, * | |
[43:16] | * let it shine Let it shine Oh…(oh Let it shine,let it shine) * | |
[43:22] | * This little light of mine * | |
[43:26] | * I’m gonna let it shine Let it shine, * |