时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:35] | Sweetheart, it’s just me. | 亲爱的 是我 |
[00:36] | You shouldn’t sneak up on me like that | 我码字的时候 你不应该鬼鬼祟祟的在我身后出现 |
[00:38] | when I’m writing. | |
[00:39] | Let me have a peek. | 让我瞄几眼嘛 |
[00:41] | I thought you said you were going to your lecture. | 你不是说过要去讲演的吗? |
[00:43] | I wanted to see my wife before I go. | 我想在走之前看妻子一眼 |
[00:45] | Give my new bride a kiss good-bye. | 给我的新娘一个吻别 |
[00:49] | Honey, Dan, stop. | 亲爱的 Dan 停一下 |
[00:52] | Rachel hasn’t gone to bed yet. | Rachel 还没上床睡觉呢 |
[00:54] | Lookit. Now I have hair like Mommy’s! | 看啊 我的头发和妈妈一样了! |
[01:01] | Rachel, sweetie, you have beautiful hair. | Rachel 宝贝 你有一头漂亮的头发 |
[01:03] | red hair runs in your family | 红头发是家族遗传 |
[01:04] | doesn’t it, Nancy? | 对吗? Nancy? |
[01:05] | Really, Mommy? | 真的吗 妈妈? |
[01:07] | My mother had red hair, but yours | 我妈妈也有一头红发 |
[01:09] | is even prettier. | 但你的头发漂亮多了 |
[01:11] | Where is she? | 她在哪呢? |
[01:13] | In heaven, sweetheart. | 在天堂呢 宝贝 |
[01:15] | She died when I was a baby. | 在我婴儿时期就过世了 |
[01:17] | But guess what? | 知道吗? |
[01:18] | I think it’s somebody’s bedtime. | 现在该是某人上床的时间咯 |
[01:20] | Go with Annette. | 跟Annette上去 |
[01:21] | I’ll be up in a minute to say good night. | 我一会就上去和你道晚安 |
[01:30] | Did you hear that? | 你听到了吗? |
[01:33] | Nancy, we’ve talked about this. | Nancy 我们已经讨论过这个问题 |
[01:35] | I’m telling you I keep hearing these noises, Dan. | 我一直都有听到古怪的声音 Dan |
[01:37] | It’s an old house, Nance. | 这是一座老房子 Nance |
[01:38] | I think they’re coming from the attic. | 我觉得是从阁楼传来的 |
[01:41] | There are no monsters in the attic, I promise. | 阁楼里没有妖怪 我保证 |
[01:45] | You know, you should save | 知道吗 你应该把丰富的想象力 留在写作的时候用 |
[01:46] | all that imagination for your writing. | |
[01:49] | I don’t know how you hear anything with the racket | 打字机的声音那么吵闹 |
[01:50] | that typewriter makes anyway. | 你怎么还会听到声音 |
[01:52] | None of it’s any good. | 这些都不是好现象 |
[01:55] | Give yourself a chance. | 给自己一个机会 |
[01:57] | And promise me | 答应我 不要被碰撞声吓倒好吗? |
[01:58] | you won’t let a few bumps scare you? | 答应我 不要被碰撞声吓倒好吗? |
[02:33] | What’s up with Cyndi Lauper? | Cyndi Lauper也有麻烦了? (歌手 有一头白金色的头发) |
[02:35] | Can we help you with something? | 有什么可以帮得了你的吗? |
[02:37] | You’re, like, the cops that investigate | 你们是调查陈年旧案的警察 对吗? |
[02:39] | really old murder cases, right? | |
[02:40] | Detectives, actually. Rush, | 实际上是探员 我是Rush |
[02:43] | – Valens. – My name’s Liza. | – 我叫Liza |
[02:46] | I have something I want to show you. | 我有些东西想给你看看 |
[02:49] | My grandma Nancy Patterson was found hung in her attic | 1962年 我外婆Nancy Patterson |
[02:52] | in 1962. | 被发现吊死在阁楼上 |
[02:53] | A suicide. | 自杀 |
[02:54] | That’s what everyone said, | 人人都是那么说 |
[02:55] | but the people that live in the house now | 但房子的现任主人 |
[02:57] | are renovating the upstairs, and… they found this note. | 在修葺阁楼的时候发现了这张纸条 |
[03:03] | “I must end it, my dearest, my butterfly. | “我要了结这一切 我亲爱的 我的蝴蝶” |
[03:06] | “Only in death will I find peace. | “只有死亡才能令我得到平静” |
[03:09] | “I hope in time | “希望终有一天” |
[03:10] | you’ll forgive me. “ | “你会原谅我” |
[03:13] | It’s a suicide note. | 是自杀遗言 |
[03:14] | But that’s not | 但这并不是我外婆的笔迹 |
[03:15] | my grandma’s handwriting. | 但这并不是我外婆的笔迹 |
[03:17] | Grandma Nancy wrote on the back of all of our old photosLook. | Nancy外婆在所有照片背面都写过字 |
[03:22] | You guys can test it, can’t you? | 你们可以检测的 是吗? |
[03:23] | You have special instruments or something? | 你们有特别仪器来鉴定的吧? |
[03:25] | What about your parents? | 那你父母呢? |
[03:27] | They think your grandmother wrote this? | 他们认为你外婆写了这个吗? |
[03:28] | My mom doesn’t like me to talk about Grandma Nancy. | 妈妈不喜欢我谈论Nancy外婆 |
[03:31] | She was only five | 她去世的时候 妈妈才5岁 |
[03:32] | when she died. | |
[03:34] | Tough to lose a parent at that age. | 在那个年纪失去至亲 真是很不容易啊 |
[03:36] | It’s like she never got over it. | 她好像一直都没走出那个阴影 |
[03:39] | Well, we’ll take a look. | 好吧 我们会看看的 |
[03:41] | No promises. | 但不保证什么 |
[03:42] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[03:48] | I ain’t an expert, but | 我不是专家 |
[03:50] | the handwriting don’t look the same to me. | 但这两个笔迹明显不一致 |
[03:51] | The note definitely sounds like a good-bye. | 这张纸条的确像是告别遗言 |
[03:55] | If Nancy didn’t write it, who did? | 如果不是Nancy写的 会是谁呢? |
[04:31] | Questioned Documents confirmed handwriting on the suicide note | 笔迹鉴定证实自杀遗言上的笔迹 |
[04:34] | wasn’t Nancy’s. | 不属于Nancy |
[04:35] | Strangulation could have happened before the hanging. | 有可能在悬挂前就已经窒息死亡 |
[04:37] | Note tell us anything else? | 纸条有没有提供其他线索? |
[04:39] | There’s no latent prints, | 没有隐藏的指纹 |
[04:40] | but the date of the paper checked out. | 但纸张年限已经确定 |
[04:42] | The note’s at least 30, 40 years old. | 至少是30到40年前的 |
[04:45] | Nancy’s daughter Rachel Patterson | Nancy的女儿Rachel Patterson |
[04:47] | found the body. | 发现了尸体 |
[04:47] | Had a bad dream thatight. Went looking for her mom. | 那晚她做了噩梦 起床找妈妈 |
[04:51] | Hell of a thing | 真可怕 |
[04:52] | – living with that your whole life. – Nancy’s husband | 余生都想着那个画面 Nancy的丈夫Daniel Patterson 在案发当日工作得很晚 |
[04:54] | Daniel Patterson was working late when it happened. | |
[04:56] | Professor Daniel Patterson? | Daniel Patterson教授? |
[04:58] | Are you familiar? | 你认识他? |
[04:59] | Patterson was a state Poet Laureate. | Patterson是受到国家表彰的诗人 |
[05:01] | I take it that means he was good? | 那就是说他很出色? |
[05:04] | “Hollow. No escape from the dark. I sit alone. | “空洞 逃离不出黑暗 我独自呆坐 |
[05:08] | In empty rooms. “ | 在空荡的房中 “ |
[05:09] | I hadn’t really pegged you | 还真想象不出 |
[05:11] | as a poetry type, boss. | 你也是爱诗的人呢 老大 |
[05:13] | Not me. | 不是我 |
[05:14] | The ex-wife. | 是前妻 |
[05:15] | I thought poetry was supposed to rhyme. | 我觉得诗歌和韵律有关 |
[05:18] | Apparently, he’s still giving lectures as a professor emeritus | 看来他以返聘的身份 |
[05:22] | of literature at Powell University. | 在Powell大学继续教授文学课程 |
[05:24] | Where he met Nancy. | 他就是在那里认识Nancy的 |
[05:26] | One of his students? | Nancy是他的学生? |
[05:26] | Try secretary. | 秘书吧 |
[05:28] | Her first husband died | 她的第一任丈夫 |
[05:29] | in a car crash. | 死于交通事故 |
[05:30] | Left Nancy with a kid to support on her own. | 留下Nancy独立抚养孩子 |
[05:33] | Nancy married Patterson | Nancy在61年嫁给Patterson |
[05:34] | in ’61. Went back to being a homemaker. | 重新做回家庭主妇 |
[05:36] | He had a much bigger house. | 他买了座更大的房子 |
[05:38] | Daniel Patterson told police | Daniel Patterson向警方声称 |
[05:39] | his wife started acting paranoid shortly after | 搬进那所房子之后 |
[05:42] | they moved in. | 妻子开始神经兮兮的 |
[05:44] | Anybody benefit from Nancy’s death? | 有没有人能从Nancy的死中受益? |
[05:46] | There was no life insurance, no inheritance. | 没有人寿保险 也没有遗产 |
[05:48] | No leads. | 没有线索 |
[05:49] | Have a talk with the husband. The daughter, too. | 找她的丈夫和女儿谈谈吧 |
[05:52] | Maybe they can shed someight. | 也许他们知道些什么 |
[05:58] | Liza shouldn’t have | Liza不应该拿这事 |
[06:00] | bothered you about this. | 来打扰你们的 |
[06:01] | It’s what we do. | 这是我们的工作 |
[06:04] | Well, my mother killed herself | 很久之前 |
[06:06] | long time ago. | 我妈妈就自杀了 |
[06:07] | – There’s a chance she didn’t. – A chance? | – 有可能不是自杀 – 有可能? |
[06:11] | So you don’t know for certain then? | 那时你们也不确定吗? |
[06:13] | Mom, at least look at the note. | 妈妈 至少看看这张纸条嘛 |
[06:15] | I’ve seen the note, Liza. | 我已经看过了 Liza |
[06:16] | It changes nothing. | 它什么都改变不了 |
[06:18] | I- I’m sorry, but I don’t see the point. | 我很抱歉 但看不出这有什么意义 |
[06:21] | Losing your mom | 以那样的方式失去母亲 的确难以接受 |
[06:21] | like that, hard to accept. | |
[06:24] | But I did, and I’ve moved on. | 但我熬过来了 继续生活下去 |
[06:30] | Honey, you shouldn’t be here. | 宝贝 你不该在这里 |
[06:33] | Mom, come on. | 不是吧 妈妈 |
[06:42] | Your daughter just wants to help. | 你女儿只是想帮忙而已 |
[06:44] | Detective, my mother was very disturbed, | 探员 我妈妈精神很不正常 |
[06:49] | and I’ve had to accept that whatever made her that way | 而我得接受把她弄成这样的因子 |
[06:53] | might be in us. | 我们也会有 |
[06:55] | You and Liza, you mean. | 你是指你和Liza |
[06:57] | I made it past my 27th birthday. | 我活过了27岁生日 |
[07:01] | What about my daughter? | 那你女儿呢? |
[07:03] | It’s the age your mother was when she died. | 正处于你母亲去世的年龄 |
[07:05] | Everybody assumes that I want to… bury this, | 人人都以为我想把这段过去埋藏心底 |
[07:10] | but I have to live with it every day. | 但我带着这段记忆过每一天 |
[07:13] | And your stepdad? | 你继父呢? |
[07:14] | Daniel? | |
[07:15] | He, uh, sent me off to a boarding school | 我年纪刚刚够 |
[07:18] | as soon as I was old enough… | 他就把我送去寄宿学校… |
[07:21] | probably because I reminded him of her. | 也许因为我会令他想起我母亲 |
[07:24] | So it was just the three of you in the house mostly? | 所以房子里大部分时间都只有你们三人? |
[07:26] | No, daniel was away a lot | 不 Daniel经常外出 |
[07:29] | trying to meet a deadline | 尝试赶上截稿日期 |
[07:30] | for his book or lecture… | 或者去教授讲座… |
[07:32] | Then it was just you alone with your mom that night? | 那晚只有你和母亲两个人? |
[07:35] | Yeah, we were alone a lot. | 是的 我们经常独自呆在一起 |
[07:39] | But she was always hearing strange sounds. | 她总是听到奇怪的声音 |
[07:46] | One… two… three… | |
[07:50] | four… | |
[07:52] | five… six… | |
[07:55] | seven… eight… nine… | |
[07:59] | ten. Ready or not, here I come! | 10 不管你准备好没 我都要过来啦 |
[08:06] | I can hear you! | 我听到你了! |
[08:09] | Rachel, are you in the attic? | Rachel 你在阁楼里吗? |
[08:11] | I told you I don’t want you going in the attic. | 我说过不许你上阁楼的 |
[08:17] | Rachel? | |
[08:22] | Rachel? | |
[08:26] | Oh, sweetie, what are you doing in here? | 噢 宝贝 你在这干吗呢? |
[08:29] | You could suffocate. | 你会窒息的 |
[08:30] | I wanted a good place to hide! | 我想找个躲藏的好地方! |
[08:33] | I don’t want you coming up here anymore. | 以后再也不要上这来 |
[08:35] | Promise me. | 答应我 |
[08:36] | Why, Mommy? | 为什么 妈妈? |
[08:41] | Come on. Let’s go. | 来吧 我们走 |
[08:53] | What’s wrong, Mommy? | 怎么了 妈妈? |
[08:56] | What’s wrong, Mommy? | 怎么了 妈妈? |
[08:57] | Shh-shh-shh! | 别出声! |
[08:59] | Shh! There’s someone out there. | 外面有人 |
[09:03] | Mommy,’m scared. | 妈妈 我害怕 |
[09:04] | Hush, shh-shh-shh! | 别出声! |
[09:13] | Who’s out there, Mommy? | 谁在外面呢 妈妈? |
[09:17] | No one. | 没人 |
[09:18] | Who locked it? | 谁锁门的? |
[09:19] | Oh, um… | 哦… |
[09:21] | the door must have jammed. That’s all. | 门卡住了 一定是那样的 |
[09:23] | Uh, it’s okay, sweetie. Come here. | 没事啦 宝贝 过来 |
[09:28] | Mommy’s just out of sorts. | 妈妈只是有点走神了 |
[09:30] | But we’re okay. We’re okay. No one’s here. | 但我们没事 我们没事 没人在呢 |
[09:46] | Someone was in the house? | 房子里有人? |
[09:47] | No, I think that she probably knocked the vase over | 不 我觉得是她进来之前 |
[09:50] | before she went in. | 不小心把花瓶打翻了 |
[09:52] | I’m late for a meeting. | 我开会要迟到了 |
[09:53] | Someone was in your house. | 有人在你房间里 |
[09:54] | I’ve got a deadline. | 我到截稿日期了 |
[09:55] | Maybe someone who had a problem with your mother, | 也许有人和你母亲有矛盾 |
[09:57] | a grudge, an argument maybe. | 妒忌 或者是争吵什么的 |
[09:59] | I told you, detective, the problem was in my mother’s head. | 我说过的 探员 问题出在妈妈的脑袋里 |
[10:04] | Look, I know it’s hard, Rachel. Think back… | 我知道这不太容易 Rachel 回想… |
[10:06] | Thanks for you time, Rael.. | 谢谢你抽空 Rachel |
[10:09] | We’ll be in touch. | 我们保持联系吧 |
[10:11] | I can’t change what my mother did. | 我不能改变母亲的现实 |
[10:13] | That’s the past. | 那已经过去了 |
[10:16] | Let it stay there. | 就让它过去吧 |
[10:27] | For years I searched for an explanation. | 多年来我一直寻求一个解释 |
[10:29] | Something that’d make sense. | 寻找合理的答案 |
[10:31] | Nothing ever did till now. | 一直没有找到 直到现在 |
[10:32] | You said Nancy had been acting a little paranoid. | 你说Nancy表现出偏执狂的症状? |
[10:35] | No one had a word | 那时没人说过Nancy身上发生什么 也没有什么疗法 |
[10:36] | for what was happening to Nancy then… or a cure. | |
[10:39] | Electroshock therapy, | 电击疗法 |
[10:41] | lobotomies? | 脑白质切除术? |
[10:43] | It was seen as shameful- insanity. | 精神失常是羞耻的 |
[10:46] | Gotta ask, | 我得问一下 教授 |
[10:47] | Professor, but maybe that someone | |
[10:48] | she was afraid of was you. | 也许她害怕的人是你 |
[10:52] | I loved my wife. I didn’t kill her. | 我爱我的妻子 我没有杀死她 |
[10:55] | Plus I was never | 而且 |
[10:56] | around, really. | 我总是不在家 |
[10:58] | I was on a deadline, spent all my nights here. | 我到了截稿日 一整天都在办公室 |
[11:01] | Deadline for this book? | 这本书的截稿日? |
[11:03] | My collection of poetry: Empty Rooms. | 诗歌精选:空房子 |
[11:06] | It was going to be my gift to her, | 这本来是送给她的礼物 |
[11:08] | my attempt to capture her spirit, | 尝试捕捉她的特质 |
[11:12] | see the world through her eyes. | 透过她的眼睛看世界 |
[11:15] | She died before it was published. | 但书出版前她就过世了 |
[11:19] | Such a fool… | 真是愚蠢啊… |
[11:21] | spending my time writing about the woman I loved | 把时间用来描绘心爱的女人 |
[11:24] | instead of being with her. | 而不是陪在她身边 |
[11:27] | Sounds like Nancy spent a lot | 看来大部分时间 |
[11:28] | of time home alone. | Nancy都独自在家 |
[11:30] | That’s why I hired Annette. | 所以我雇用了Annette |
[11:33] | Annette? | |
[11:34] | Our housekeeper. | 我们的清洁工 |
[11:36] | Annette have keys to the house? | Annette有房子的钥匙吗? |
[11:37] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:39] | She’s the only one outside the family who did. | 她是除了家人以外 唯一有钥匙的 |
[11:41] | The attic, too? | 也有阁楼钥匙吗? |
[11:43] | Yes, but you don’t think… | 是的 你们不会是认为… |
[11:45] | We’ll need her last name. | 把她的姓氏给我 |
[11:48] | Also, a sample | 还有 |
[11:49] | of your handwriting. | 把你的笔迹样本给我们一份 |
[11:50] | Of course. | 没问题 |
[11:52] | It sounds strange, | 听起来有点奇怪 |
[11:54] | but somehow knowing she didn’t do it herself… | 但知道她不是自杀… |
[12:00] | is a relief. | 真是莫大的安慰 |
[12:06] | Nancy had been so blessed. | Nancy如此纯净 |
[12:08] | Hard to believe someone wanting to hurt her. | 难以相信有人会伤害她 |
[12:12] | You had been working | 你为Pattersons一家 工作了几个月 |
[12:13] | for the Pattersons for several months. | |
[12:15] | Yes, I started shortly | 是的 在他们婚后 |
[12:16] | after they were married. | 我就开始为他们工作了 |
[12:17] | And you had keys | 而你有房子的钥匙? 阁楼的也有? |
[12:18] | to the house- the attic? | |
[12:21] | Really now, you don’t think | 说真的 |
[12:23] | I had something to do with what happened? | 你们不会认为我和这事有什么关联吧? |
[12:26] | Professor Patterson trusted me. | Patterson教授信任我 |
[12:29] | And you respected him. | 而你尊敬他 |
[12:30] | He was a gentleman. Kind. | 他是个绅士 很友善 |
[12:32] | Sure you weren’t holding a torch, Annette? | 你真的对他没有思慕之心 Annette? |
[12:35] | Professor Patterson only had eyes for his wife. | Patterson的视线只停留在妻子身上 |
[12:40] | She was a beautiful woman. | 她是个漂亮的女人 |
[12:42] | Full of life. | 非常有生命力 |
[12:43] | Until she started slipping. | 直到她开始神经兮兮的 |
[12:44] | That’s what we all believed. | 我们都坚信这点 |
[12:46] | Not you, Annette? | 你不是 Annette? |
[12:48] | There was one incident | 发生了件事 |
[12:50] | that I had trouble explaining away. | 我也解释不通的 |
[12:58] | Ma’am? | 夫人? |
[12:59] | The page I typed last night- | 我昨晚打的文件 |
[13:00] | It was right here, in my typewriter. | 是在打字机里的 |
[13:05] | You’re sure Rachel hasn’t been playing with my things? | 你确定Rachel没有乱动我的东西? |
[13:07] | I’m sure, Mrs. Patterson. | 我肯定 Patterson太太 |
[13:10] | I put Rachel to bed. I should be going now. | 我把Rachel哄睡了 我该走了 |
[13:13] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[13:18] | Wait, Annette! | 等等 Annette! |
[13:26] | Did you lock all the windows and doors? | 你把门窗都锁好了吗? |
[13:27] | Of course. | 当然 |
[13:29] | – The back door, too? – Yes. | – 后门也锁好了? – 是的 |
[13:34] | Did you feel that? | 你感受到了吗? |
[13:35] | That breeze? | 那阵微风? |
[13:51] | Oh, my God. | 噢 上帝啊 |
[13:56] | I don’t understand. | 我不懂 |
[13:57] | I locked everything… | 我把所有东西都锁好了… |
[13:59] | Mrs. Patterson? | Patterson太太? |
[14:00] | “Death lurks in the corners of your past, | “死亡潜伏在你过去的角落” |
[14:03] | leaving her marks about your neck?” | “将她的印记留在你脖子上?” |
[14:14] | Drummond. | |
[14:16] | That name mean anything to you? | 那个名字你有印象吗? |
[14:17] | First time I ever heard it. | 第一次听说 |
[14:19] | Long time ago. | 很久之前的事了 |
[14:20] | Maybe your memory’s a little fuzzy. | 也许你的记忆力有点模糊 |
[14:21] | My memory’s sharp as a tack. Thank you. | 我的记忆力锋利得跟针尖一样 谢谢 |
[14:25] | Sounds like whoever | 不管这个Drummond是谁 |
[14:26] | this Drummond was, | 看上去 |
[14:27] | he was obsessed with Nancy. | 他很迷Nancy |
[14:29] | There was a man once, | 曾经有个男人 |
[14:31] | parked out in front of the house in a brown woodie. | 在房子前面停车 |
[14:34] | A station wagon. | 开着褐色的货车 |
[14:36] | Buick, I think. | 好像是别克 |
[14:37] | He was just sitting there, staring up at the study. | 他就坐在那 盯着她 |
[14:40] | You never mentioned this. | 你从来没有提到过 |
[14:42] | Everybody said she killed herself. | 人人都说她是自杀的 |
[14:44] | So why would I? | 我干吗要多嘴呢? |
[14:47] | Any leads on a brown station wagon? | 有没有找到褐色货车的线索? |
[14:48] | Well, according to the DMV | 根据车辆管理局的记录 |
[14:50] | there were at least a hundred of them in the city in ’62. | 62年 城里起码有一百辆这样的车 |
[14:53] | Any of them belong to a Drummond? | 有什么属于Drummond这名字的? |
[14:54] | Nope. And the only Drummonde found | 没有 我们找到的唯一一个Drummonde |
[14:55] | was a 98-year-old man in a rest home. | 是养老院里一个98岁的老人 |
[14:58] | But we did find this. | 但我们找到这个 |
[15:00] | Brown Buick station wagon was issued a speeding ticket | 褐色别克牌货车在离Nancy家 两个街区的地方 |
[15:03] | not more than two blocks from Nancy’s house. | 收到一张超速罚单 |
[15:05] | Turns out Speedy was one of Patterson’s students. | 超速的司机是Patterson的其中一个学生 |
[15:08] | A Bruce Davies. | |
[15:10] | We thought this Bruce | 我们认为这个Bruce |
[15:11] | might be connected to Drummond. | 可能和Drummond有联系 |
[15:12] | A nickname… another student maybe. | 也许是昵称… 或者是另外一个学生 |
[15:14] | Took a look at some yearbooks and school newspapers. | 查一下年鉴和校报 |
[15:16] | Found this. | 找到这个 |
[15:18] | Picture from the spring social. | 春季联谊会的照片 |
[15:19] | Bruce Davies with his sweetheart Nancy. | Bruce Davies和他的小甜心Nancy |
[15:21] | Nancy married Daniel Patterson | Nancy在拍照不到一年后 |
[15:23] | less than a year after this was taken. | 嫁给了Daniel Patterson |
[15:25] | Ol’ Bruce got the heave-ho. | Bruce深受打击 |
[15:27] | ???? | 爱人转变成跟踪狂 |
[15:37] | Philly Homicide. | 费城凶案组 |
[15:38] | Like to talk with Bruce Davies. | 想找Bruce Davies谈谈 |
[15:41] | Are you Mrs. Davies? Me? | – 你是Davies吗? – 我? |
[15:42] | No. Name’s Belle. | 不 我是Belle |
[15:44] | I might’ve been somebody’s wife if the job | 如果不是报酬如此可观 |
[15:46] | paid better. I work here. | 我早就嫁作人妇了 我在这工作 |
[15:48] | Help out with the cooking and cleaning. | 帮忙煮饭和打扫卫生 |
[15:50] | Something tells me you haven’t always | 看来你不是一直 |
[15:51] | been cooking and cleaning. | 都在打扫和煮饭 |
[15:53] | I spent a lot of good | 我也有花多年的时间 |
[15:54] | years dancing, too. | 来跳舞 |
[15:56] | I’ll bet. | 看得出来 |
[15:57] | Still know how to bring a smile to a man’s face. | 还是那么善于让男人笑 |
[16:01] | Talkin’ about my cooking, of course. | 当然说的是我的厨艺 |
[16:02] | Of course. | 当然 |
[16:04] | This way. | 这边走 |
[16:14] | Police want to have | 警察想和你说几句话 |
[16:14] | a word with you, Mr. Davies. | Davies先生 |
[16:16] | The police? | 警察? |
[16:19] | Make a mean apple pie. | 我去做个苹果派 |
[16:22] | And you look like a man that appreciates good pie. | 你看上去是懂得享受美味好派的人 很合胃口嘛 |
[16:29] | What is this about? | 是关于什么事的? |
[16:30] | Nancy Patterson. You knew her. | Nancy Patterson 你认识她 |
[16:33] | – Haven’t heard that name in years. – What about | 很多年没听过这个名字了 |
[16:35] | the name Drummond? That ring any bells? | 那Drummond这个名字呢? 有印象么? |
[16:37] | No. Should it? | 没有 我应该听过吗? |
[16:39] | We’ll need you | 我们需要你过来一趟 提供笔迹样本 |
[16:39] | to come down, provide a writing sample. | 我们需要你过来一趟 提供笔迹样本 |
[16:41] | Why? | 为什么? |
[16:42] | Because | 因为 我们觉得Nancy是被谋杀的 |
[16:43] | we think Nancy was murdered. | 因为 我们觉得Nancy是被谋杀的 |
[16:45] | You two dated, right? | 你们在一起过 是吗? |
[16:47] | She was a secretary in the English Department | 我还是学生的时候 |
[16:48] | when I was a grad student. So what? | 她是英语系的秘书 那又怎么样 |
[16:50] | So she kicked you to the curb and married Daniel. | 她抛弃你转投Daniel的怀抱 |
[16:52] | But that wasn’t the end of it. | 但事情还没完 |
[16:54] | You sat outside in your car | 你把车子停在她家外 |
[16:56] | for hours, pining away. | 枯坐数个小时 神色憔悴的 |
[16:58] | I was pining away, all right, but not for Nancy, | 我是憔悴了 行了吧? 但不是为了Nancy |
[17:01] | or for that dowdy housekeeper of hers. | 也不是为了她那个寒酸的清洁工 |
[17:04] | Two down, gentlemen, one to go. | 先生们 排除两个了 还剩一个 |
[17:08] | You were pining for the husband? | 你的目标是丈夫? |
[17:10] | They didn’t have a name for that in ’62. | 62年的时候 还没有这个说法 |
[17:14] | They do now. | 现在有了 |
[17:17] | I was his lovelorn grad student. | 我是他的得意门生 |
[17:20] | Tragic, really. | 真是悲剧啊 |
[17:21] | Sayin’ it was a two-way street? | 你意思是互助互利? |
[17:23] | – You and the professor? – In my dreams. | – 你和教授? – 在我梦里 |
[17:25] | Professor Patterson barely knew I existed. | Patterson教授几乎没意识到我的存在 |
[17:27] | Doesn’t mean you didn’t kill off the competition. | 也不代表你没干掉竞争对手 |
[17:30] | I was interviewing for a teaching post | 她被杀当晚 |
[17:32] | in Cincinnati the night she died. | 我在Cincinnati面试教师职位 |
[17:34] | You can check. | 你可以查查的 |
[17:35] | We will. | 我们会的 |
[17:38] | I was truly sorry when I heard about Nancy. | 听到发生在Nancy身上的事 真的很遗憾 |
[17:41] | Never believed it. | 一直都不相信那是真的 |
[17:42] | Suicide, I mean. | 我是指自杀 |
[17:44] | Why’s that? | 何出此言? |
[17:45] | Something was going on in that house… | 那间房子里有事发生… |
[17:48] | something strange. | 有古怪的东西 |
[17:54] | Well, Bruce, | 好吧 Bruce |
[17:55] | my advice is simple to a young poet. | 我对你这样年轻诗人的建议是 |
[17:58] | Let nothing come between you and the page. | 让你和纸张之间再无阻隔 |
[18:00] | Is that why you prefer writing everything longhand, Professor? | 那就是你选择用普通写法 来描写一切的原因吗 教授? |
[18:03] | The truest connection, really. | 这是最真实的联系 |
[18:05] | Because when the muse speaks to you, | 当灵感女神来的时候 |
[18:07] | she does in a whisper. | 她是窃窃私语的 |
[18:09] | Or a scream. | 也可能是呼啸而来的 |
[18:11] | Pardon me. | 不好意思 |
[18:13] | I don’t know what made me say that. | 我也不知道干吗要说这个 |
[18:15] | Could it be your muse | 也许你的灵感女神 |
[18:16] | is a banshee? | 是个女妖精? |
[18:17] | Of course | 当然 我没有写作 完全没有 |
[18:17] | I don’t write. Not really. | 当然 我没有写作 完全没有 |
[18:20] | – Not like my husband does. – Actually, | 不像我丈夫 真的 |
[18:21] | Nancy is a voracious reader. | Nancy对书本如饥似渴 |
[18:23] | Seems she’s read nearly every book | 她几乎看过图书馆里 |
[18:25] | – in my library. – Oh, and somehow manages | 所有的书 |
[18:27] | to make delightful pigs in a blanket. | 然后不声不响中巧手烹饪 |
[18:30] | I better check on Rachel. | 我得去看看Rachel |
[18:31] | Excuse me. Please. | 不好意思 |
[18:36] | Nancy grew up an orphan, | Nancy从小就是孤儿 |
[18:38] | so she got a late start on the great works. | 所以她对伟大作品的认识起步得比较晚 |
[18:40] | But it’s just made her curious about all that she’s missed. | 但那样只会令她对错过的一切更好奇 |
[18:43] | Speaking of great works, | 说起伟大的作品 |
[18:44] | I heard that your collection is coming out next spring. | 听说你的精选本会在下个春天出版 |
[18:46] | My editor paid you to say that, didn’t he? | 我的编辑雇你来说的 是吧? |
[18:48] | Well, it’s a good problem to have, Professor- | 这是好事啊 教授 |
[18:51] | people waiting with bated breath for your next project. | 人们屏声静气等待你的下一部作品 |
[18:53] | Well, don’t hold your breath for too long. | 别憋那么久 |
[18:55] | The muse can be as unpredictable as my wife. | 灵感就像我妻子一样难以捉摸 |
[18:59] | You’ll give us a preview, | 你会给我们一个预览的 是吗? |
[19:00] | won’t you? Of your collection? | 你作品的预览? |
[19:02] | You’re not going to make us wait. | 别让我们等太久 |
[19:03] | Well, if I shared it now, | 如果我现在就和你们分享 |
[19:04] | that would just spoil the anticipation. | 就毁掉了期待的乐趣了 |
[19:06] | Daniel! | |
[19:08] | Nancy? | |
[19:16] | Nancy? | |
[19:17] | Nancy…? | |
[19:20] | What the hell? | 搞什么? |
[19:23] | Daniel. | |
[19:33] | Professor Patterson asked for me to be discreet. | Patterson教授要我慎言 |
[19:36] | His wife’s problems, you see. | 只字不提他妻子的问题 |
[19:38] | He said it must’ve been a misunderstanding. | 他说那只是个误会 |
[19:41] | Some misunderstanding. | 只是误会而已 |
[19:42] | I respected him, | 我尊重他 |
[19:45] | so I never spoke of it again. | 所以一个字都没说过 |
[19:48] | Been holding out on us, | 对我们有所保留啊 教授 |
[19:49] | – Professor. – Kinda thing makes us | 看上去 |
[19:51] | suspicious. | 相当可疑 |
[19:52] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[19:54] | Forgot to, uh, clue us in | 你忘了提到 |
[19:55] | on the dinner party. | 那次晚宴的事了 |
[19:58] | The noose in the attic. | 阁楼上的绳索 |
[20:00] | Doesn’t make a lot of sense. | 隐瞒这事 |
[20:01] | You keepin’ that quiet. | 根本说不通啊 |
[20:02] | – It didn’t mean anything. – Really? | – 那不代表什么 – 知道吗? |
[20:04] | Someone breaking into your house, | 有人闯进你家 |
[20:05] | stringing up a noose, | 挂起绳索 |
[20:07] | doesn’t mean anything? | 那也不代表什么? |
[20:10] | I couldn’t believe it at the time. | 起初我也不相信 |
[20:12] | And after she died? What about then? | 她死了之后呢? 那个时候你又是怎么想的? |
[20:15] | It only made matters worse. | 那事只会让情况变得更糟 |
[20:17] | Why? | 为什么? |
[20:18] | Because you didn’t do anything to stop it? | 因为你没有作出行动来阻止? |
[20:19] | No. Because I believed her. | 不 因为我相信她 |
[20:25] | We need to go to the police. | 我们得向警察报案 |
[20:27] | And tell them what? There has to be | 告诉他们什么? |
[20:29] | some rational | 这样的事情 |
[20:30] | explanation for this. | 一定有合理解释的 |
[20:31] | Someone was in our house. | 有人进了我们的房子 |
[20:33] | You saw it with your own eyes! | 你亲眼目睹的! |
[20:34] | – What more do you want? – It just doesn’t make any sense. | – 还想要什么证据? – 听起来说不过去啊 |
[20:37] | I mean who would do a thing like that? | 我是说谁会做这样的事? |
[20:38] | I don’t know! | 我不知道! |
[20:41] | I’m so scared, Daniel. | 我很害怕 Daniel |
[20:43] | You’re always gone and I’m left here alone. | 你一直都不在 我独自呆在这 |
[20:46] | What do you expect from me? | 你要我怎么办? |
[20:47] | I expect you to believe me. | 我希望你相信我 |
[20:54] | I do. | 我相信你 |
[20:56] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[20:58] | We’ll go to the police. | 我们去警察局吧 |
[21:00] | Together. | 一起去 |
[21:01] | You… | 你… |
[21:10] | Give me the keys. I’ll drive. | 把钥匙给我 我开车 |
[21:17] | Um… | 呃… |
[21:21] | What… | 怎么… |
[21:23] | What’s the matter, Nancy? | 怎么了 Nancy? |
[21:30] | You bought rope? | 你买了绳子? |
[21:35] | I don’t understand, Daniel. | 我搞不懂 Daniel |
[21:36] | “Nancy Patterson. ” That’s your signature. | 那是你的签名 |
[21:37] | I didn’t. I… | 我没有 我… |
[21:39] | I- I didn’t buy that. | 我没有买那个 |
[21:46] | Did… | 我… |
[21:47] | did I? | 我买了? |
[21:52] | Nancy bought the rope? | 是Nancy买的绳子? |
[21:57] | I wanted there to be another explanation. | 我希望有别的解释 |
[22:01] | And when you came to me… | 但你们来找我的时候… |
[22:05] | I thought maybe there was. | 我想也许就是那样的 |
[22:18] | Cops had it right | 警察一开始就说中了 |
[22:18] | the first time. | 警察一开始就说中了 |
[22:19] | Nancy did herself in. | Nancy是自杀的 |
[22:24] | ???? | 也许我们是在追踪一个鬼魂 |
[22:30] | So we’ve been chasing our tails on this one, huh? | 这案子我们一直在绕圈? |
[22:33] | Great, | 很好 |
[22:33] | ’cause I got nothin’ better to do with my time. | 因为我无所事事 |
[22:35] | Well, Nancy locked herself and Rachel in the attic, | Nancy把自己和Rachel锁在阁楼里 |
[22:38] | put the note in the typewriter, | 把便条放进打字机 |
[22:39] | hung up the noose at the party. | 在派对的时候挂绳索 |
[22:41] | That’s some kinda crazy. | 听起来像是疯子 |
[22:43] | Well, maybe she went into a fugue state. | 也许她得了记忆丧失症 |
[22:45] | Forgot she did any of it. | 忘了自己做过什么 |
[22:46] | So that’s that, huh? | 事情就是那么简单? |
[22:48] | Job’s open and shut. | 工作才刚开始又结束了 |
[22:50] | Well, pretty much, yeah. | 差不多吧 |
[22:51] | And what about Drummond? | 那Drummond呢? |
[22:53] | That “death lurks” message he left? | 他留下的那个”潜在死亡”的信息呢? |
[22:55] | Looney Tunes made him up. | Looney Tunes编造出来的 |
[22:56] | Hey, hey, hey, hey. | 嘿 嘿 |
[22:59] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[23:00] | Can’t you read? | 你不认识字吗? |
[23:02] | Since when is milk private property? | 牛奶什么时候变成私人财产了? |
[23:04] | Saving it, all right? | 少来这一套 |
[23:05] | For what? | 干吗? |
[23:06] | Apple pie, maybe? | 苹果派吧 也许? |
[23:09] | Just keep your hands off of it. | 总之别动我的就是了 |
[23:11] | Most of the women in this book | 书里描述的她 |
[23:14] | just don’t seem like the type to leave | 不像是那种 |
[23:15] | – without saying good-bye. – Aren’t you forgetting the suicide note? | – 不说一声就离开的人 – 难道你忘记那个自杀遗言吗? |
[23:18] | It wasn’t hers. | 不是她写的 |
[23:19] | Or her husband’s, | 也不是丈夫写的 |
[23:20] | or the housekeeper’s, | 不是清洁工 |
[23:21] | or Bruce’s. | 也不是Bruce |
[23:23] | So who wrote it? | 那是谁写的? |
[23:24] | It ain’t an exact science. | 笔迹鉴定不是精确的科学 |
[23:26] | Oh, that’s your explanation? | 那就是你的解释 |
[23:27] | Drop it, Scotty. | 放弃吧 Scotty |
[23:31] | It’s bad enough we rocked the boat with the family, you know? | 打扰她家人的生活已经够糟的了 |
[23:36] | She didn’t write that note, Nick. | 她没有写过 Nick |
[23:41] | This isn’t about you, Scotty. | 这个与你无关 Scotty |
[23:44] | Or Esasa. | 也跟Esasa无关 |
[23:49] | Or is it? | 难道是有吗? |
[23:55] | You’re talking about the woman that hung herself. | 你说的是一个悬梁自尽的女人 |
[23:57] | Yeah, Nancy Patterson- you heard about her? | 是的 Nancy Patterson 你有听说过她吗? |
[23:59] | Impossible not to. | 很难没听说 |
[24:01] | Grandpa Hal told that story a million times. | 我爷爷Hal把那个故事念叨过无数次了 |
[24:03] | Crazy lady that came into the store, | 疯女人一个 |
[24:05] | bought the rope that she hung herself with. | 走进商店买绳子自缢 |
[24:07] | And your grandpa was the one that sold it to her? | 你爷爷是卖绳子给她的人? |
[24:09] | – You sure about that? – Yeah. | – 你确定吗? – 是的 |
[24:11] | She didn’t believe him, either. | 虽然她不相信他 |
[24:12] | – What do you mean? – She came back in | – 什么意思? – 买完绳子后 |
[24:14] | after buying the rope, asking all these weird questions. | 她有回来过 问了一些奇怪的问题 |
[24:17] | Questions like what? | 什么样的问题? |
[24:18] | Same ones you’re asking now. | 你们现在问的问题 |
[24:24] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[24:26] | May I help you? | 有什么能帮你的吗? |
[24:27] | My name is Nancy Patterson, | 我叫Nancy Patterson |
[24:29] | and I think there’s been a mistake | 我觉得我丈夫的帐户 |
[24:30] | on my husband’s account. | 有点问题 |
[24:32] | What kind of mistake? | 什么问题? |
[24:32] | I don’t recognize one of the charges. | 我不记得有这项支出 |
[24:35] | Let’s take a look. | 让我看看 |
[24:38] | Patterson… | |
[24:41] | Huh… | 嗯 |
[24:43] | That’s your signature, right? | 这是你的签名 对吗? |
[24:44] | Oh, but that… that’s impossible. | 哦 但那是不可能的 |
[24:47] | How’s that? | 怎么会? |
[24:47] | I’ve never set foot in this store until this very day. | 在今天之前 我从未踏足过这个商店 |
[24:51] | Maybe it just slipped your mind. | 也许你只是想不起而已 |
[24:53] | No, it didn’t slip my mind! | 不! 我不是想不起! |
[24:54] | – That can’t be! – I saw you myself, | – 不可能的! – 我亲眼看见你的 |
[24:56] | miss, with these very eyes | 女士 同样是这双眼睛 |
[24:57] | wearing the same hat you’re wearing now. | 戴的是你现在戴的同一顶帽子 |
[24:59] | Maybe you just forgot. | 也许你只是忘记了 |
[25:03] | Yes. | 是吧 |
[25:06] | Maybe. | 也许 |
[25:10] | Miss Patterson… | Patterson女士 |
[25:12] | forgot your pen, too, | 你的笔也落下了 |
[25:14] | last time you were here. | 上次来的时候 |
[25:20] | It is yours, right? | 这是你的 对吧? |
[25:36] | The pen had the name | 笔上面 |
[25:37] | – “Drummond” on it? – Yeah. | – 有”Drummond”这个名字? – 是的 |
[25:39] | The cuckoo’s nest. | 布谷鸟巢 |
[25:41] | Wait, Drummond’s a mental hospital? | 等等 Drummond是精神病医院? |
[25:44] | Over in Olney. Closed down in the ’80s. | 在Olney那边 80年代关闭了 |
[25:47] | My grandpa heard Mrs. Patterson was kind of spacey, but… | 我爷爷说Patterson有点神情呆滞 但我觉得… |
[25:50] | apparently she was, you know, | 她显然是脑有毛病 |
[25:53] | A week later she was dead. | 一个星期之后 她死了 |
[25:57] | You were a nurse | 62年的时候 |
[25:58] | at Drummond Mental Hospital back in ’62? | 你是Drummond精神病院的护士? |
[26:01] | Head nurse, over 30 years. | 护士长 已经是30年前的事了 |
[26:04] | But Drummond’s | 但是Drummond |
[26:04] | been closed a long time. | 已经在很久以前关闭了 |
[26:07] | We tracked down the employment records. | 我们翻查雇用记录 |
[26:08] | Hoped to find someone who might know something about this woman. | 希望找到和她接触过的人 |
[26:12] | I remember her like it was yesterday. | 我记得她 犹如昨日发生一样 |
[26:15] | You knew Nancy Patterson? | 你认识Nancy Patterson? |
[26:17] | No, not really. | 不 不算是 |
[26:20] | I was working the front desk | 我在前台工作 |
[26:21] | when she came in, claiming she was being followed. | 当她进来的时候 声称自己被跟踪 |
[26:25] | Even had a pen as proof of it. | 还拿着一根钢笔来证明 |
[26:27] | So Nancy did visit Drummond? | 那就是说Nancy的确来过Drummond? |
[26:29] | – Yes, she did. – We think someone | 是的 我们认为一个和这医院有联系的人杀了她 |
[26:31] | associated with the hospital might have killed her. | |
[26:34] | She said she was being | 她说被跟踪了 Edna? |
[26:34] | followed, Edna? | |
[26:36] | Yes, that’s what she said. | 是的 她是那样说的 |
[26:37] | And she thought it was a patient | 她认为是病人 |
[26:39] | or someone who worked at Drummond? | 还是在Drummond工作的人呢? |
[26:41] | The only thing following Nancy was her past. | 纠缠Nancy的 只是她的过去 |
[27:00] | I need to speak to someone immediately. | 我得马上和人谈谈 |
[27:02] | Someone has been | 有人在跟踪我 |
[27:03] | following me, pretending to be me. | 扮成是我 |
[27:07] | Do I know you? | 我认识你? |
[27:11] | You’re the spitting image of her. | 你和她真是一个模板刻出来似的 |
[27:12] | – Of-of who? – Your mother. | – 谁? – 你妈妈 |
[27:15] | – What? I, I don’t understand. – I was her nurse | – 什么? 我不懂 – 我担任她的护士已经很多年了 |
[27:18] | – for years. – Oh, no, you must be mistaken. | 不 你一定是搞错了 |
[27:21] | Um, my mother, she died | 我妈妈 |
[27:23] | in childbirth. | 在生下我的时候就已经死了 |
[27:26] | You never got the note, | 你从来没收到过那张便条 |
[27:27] | – did you, Nancy? – What note? | – 是吗 Nancy? – 什么便条? |
[27:29] | How did you know my name? | 你怎么知道我的名字? |
[27:30] | She left a note | 她留下一张纸条 |
[27:31] | addressed to “my dearest, my butterfly. “ | 致”我最亲爱的 我的蝴蝶” |
[27:35] | I’d always assumed that was you. | 我一直觉得那就是你 |
[27:38] | It was you, | 的确是你 |
[27:39] | wasn’t it? | 对吗? |
[27:42] | What was my mother doing here? | 我妈妈在这里干吗? |
[27:44] | No one told you? | 没人告诉过你吗? |
[27:46] | Told me what? | 告诉我什么? |
[27:49] | T- told me what?! | 告诉我什么?! |
[27:51] | Your mother was a patient here. | 你母亲是这里的病人 |
[27:52] | No, no, I told you she died in childbirth. | 不 我说过 她在生我的时候去世了 |
[27:55] | You were so young, Nancy, just a little girl… | 你那时年纪小 只是个小女孩… |
[27:57] | You’re lying! | 你撒谎! |
[27:58] | If she’s here, where? | 如果她在这 她在哪个角落呢? |
[27:59] | Where is she? | 她在哪? |
[28:03] | I found her in the storeroom one morning. | 一天早上 我在储藏室发现了她 |
[28:07] | No… | 不… |
[28:07] | She hung herself from the rafters. | 她把自己吊在椽上 |
[28:14] | I never should’ve told her like that. | 我不应该和她说那些的 |
[28:16] | I just couldn’t believe | 我只是不相信 |
[28:18] | she didn’t know about her own mother. | 她从来没听过亲生母亲的事 |
[28:20] | Who died just like Nancy. | 死状和Nancy一样 |
[28:21] | With a noose around her neck. | 悬梁自尽 |
[28:27] | The suicide note Nancy’s granddaughter brought in | Nancy孙女拿来的自杀遗言 |
[28:29] | belonged to Nancy’s mother. | 是Nancy母亲写的 |
[28:31] | Nancy must’ve took it from the mental hospital. | Nancy肯定是从精神病院里拿走了 |
[28:33] | She didn’t. | 她没有 |
[28:34] | Somebody else signed out her mother’s medical file. | 是另外一个人签署她母亲的死亡报告的 |
[28:36] | Check out the signature. | 看看签名 |
[28:38] | Nancy Patterson, so? | Nancy Patterson 怎样? |
[28:39] | That’s not Nancy’s handwriting. | 那不是Nancy的笔迹 |
[28:40] | You’re saying someone forged her signature? | 你是说有人伪造她的签名? |
[28:42] | Probably the same | 也许和五金店里 |
[28:43] | somebody who forged the receipt | 伪造签名的 |
[28:45] | – at the hardware store. – And guess who that was? | – 是同一个人 – 猜猜是谁? |
[28:50] | Annette, the housekeeper. | Annette 清洁工 |
[28:51] | Handwriting’s a perfect match to this. | 笔迹和这个完全一致 |
[28:54] | Locked door, message on the typewriter, | 锁着的门 打字机上的信息 |
[28:55] | noose in the attic… she set it all up. | 阁楼上的绳索… 都是她一手策划的 |
[28:57] | With one goal in mind. | 心里只有一个念头 |
[29:00] | Drive Nancy insane. | 把Nancy逼疯 |
[29:03] | ??? who had everything you didn’t. | 一定很不容易吧 替一个 拥有你所没有的东西的女人打扫卫生 |
[29:08] | Nice big house, cute kid… | 漂亮的大房子 可爱的孩子… |
[29:12] | good-looking husband. | 长相英俊的丈夫 |
[29:14] | I was satisfied with my life. | 我对自己的生活很满意 |
[29:16] | Alone in your two-room apartment? | 独自居住在两室公寓里? |
[29:18] | Early ’60s, a woman was expected to marry, | 60年代早期 女人的理想是结婚 |
[29:20] | have a family. | 组织家庭 |
[29:22] | Wasn’t in the cards for some of us. | 对于我们中的某些人来说不是的 |
[29:24] | Maybe you had your heart set | 也许你的心 |
[29:25] | on someone in particular. | 只是放在了某人身上 |
[29:27] | I told you. | 我说过 |
[29:29] | Professor Patterson was in love with his wife. | Patterson教授深爱他的妻子 |
[29:32] | But if she wasn’t | 如果 |
[29:33] | – in the picture… – Who better | 她成了画中人… |
[29:34] | to fill her shoes… | 谁会… |
[29:37] | than you? | 比你更适合做替补呢? 他从来没用那种眼光看过我 |
[29:38] | He’d never think of me that way. | 比你更适合做替补呢? 他从来没用那种眼光看过我 |
[29:39] | You were around the same age, you and Nancy. | 你和Nancy年纪相若 |
[29:42] | From similar neighborhoods. | 成长于相似的街区 |
[29:43] | Very little difference between you. | 差别不大 |
[29:45] | Except Nancy was beautiful. | 但Nancy很漂亮 |
[29:49] | I don’t know if I could do it, | 我不知道自己怎么可能做到 |
[29:51] | mopping floors for a woman | 为女人清洗地板的人 |
[29:52] | lucky enough to catch a man like that. | 怎么可能钓到那么完美的男人 |
[29:54] | You wouldn’t have to, would you? | 你不需要担心这些 是吗? |
[29:56] | Women like you, you take everything for granted. | 像你这样的女人 要什么有什么 |
[30:00] | – Women like me? – You bat your eyelashes, | – 像我这样的女人? – 眼若繁星 |
[30:03] | smile sweet, | 笑容甜美 |
[30:05] | get whatever you want. | 想要什么都能得到 |
[30:09] | Oh, everything comes easy, right? | 一切垂手可得 是吗? |
[30:11] | Like it did with Nancy? | 就像Nancy一样? |
[30:13] | You thought you could have her committed. | 你以为可以取代她的位置 |
[30:14] | – Get her out of the way. – Nonsense. | – 除掉这个拦路石 – 荒谬 |
[30:17] | You knew about Drummond. | 你知道Drummond的事 |
[30:20] | I don’t know that place. | 我没听过那个地方 |
[30:24] | Who said it was a place? | 谁说那是一个地方? |
[30:26] | Oh, you went there. | 你去过那里 |
[30:27] | Forged her signature, | 伪造她的签名 |
[30:28] | signed out her mother’s file. | 签署她母亲的死亡证书 |
[30:30] | Went to the hardware store, too. | 还去了五金店 |
[30:32] | It was for their own good. | 那是为了他们好 |
[30:34] | Who? Rachel? Daniel? | 谁? Rachel? Daniel? |
[30:37] | That why you killed her? | 所以你就杀了她? |
[30:38] | – To protect them? – That woman was dangerous. | – 为了保护他们? – 那个女人很危险 |
[30:47] | Sorry, I didn’t realize you were here, ma’am. | 对不起 我不知道你在 太太 |
[30:50] | Mrs. Patterson? | Patterson太太? |
[30:52] | They put her away because she | 他们把母亲送走 |
[30:53] | nearly killed me. | 是因为她差点杀了我 |
[30:56] | Locked me in a closet. | 把我锁在壁橱里 |
[30:58] | I was seven. | 那时我7岁 |
[31:00] | She left me a note. | 她留给我一张纸条 |
[31:02] | And I just can’t help but think | 我忍不住想 |
[31:04] | is it happing to me? | 这事是偶然的么? |
[31:05] | Am I slipping? | 是我错了吗? |
[31:12] | Where’s Rachel? | Rachel在哪? |
[31:13] | She woke up almost an hour ago. | 她一个多小时前就起床了 |
[31:16] | Said the two of you | 说你们俩 |
[31:16] | were going to play hide-and-seek. | 要玩躲猫猫 |
[31:20] | Rachel, sweetie? | Rachel 宝贝? |
[31:22] | Rachel?! | |
[31:27] | Rachel, sweetie?! | Rachel 宝贝?! |
[31:31] | Rachel! | |
[31:33] | Ra… Rachel! | |
[31:37] | Help me! Help me, please! | 帮帮我啊! 帮帮我啊!! |
[31:55] | I’m so sorry. | 对不起 |
[32:03] | I might’ve done a lot of things, | 我也许做过很多事 |
[32:04] | but I did not put that key in her pocket. | 但我没有把钥匙放在她口袋里 |
[32:08] | You had nothing | 你和Rachel |
[32:08] | to do with Rachel being in that trunk? | 被困的事一点关系都没有? |
[32:10] | I would never hurt that little girl. | 我永远都不会伤害那个小女孩的 |
[32:13] | I wanted to drive Nancy | 我想把Nancy从房子里弄走 |
[32:14] | from the house, that was all, I swear. | 就那样而已 我发誓 |
[32:22] | A fragile woman pushed to her death. | 脆弱的女人把自己推向了死亡 |
[32:29] | Someone I got to see. | 我得去见个人 |
[32:41] | I, uh… | 我… |
[32:43] | I owe you an apology. | 我欠你一个道歉 |
[32:47] | I know when you don’t get a “good-bye,” | 我知道如果没有听到道别 |
[32:51] | or at least one that makes sense, | 或知道一个解释 |
[32:54] | it stays with you. | 事情会一直缠绕着你 |
[32:56] | It stays either way. | 不管怎么 还是会缠绕着我 |
[32:58] | Doesn’t it, Detective? | 不是吗 探员? |
[33:01] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[33:03] | It does. | 的确是 |
[33:05] | I hoped it’d turn out different for you. | 希望事情最后对你来说会有所不同 |
[33:09] | Yeah, me, too. | 是的 我也希望是 |
[33:15] | My mother did say good-bye, | 我母亲的确有道别 |
[33:17] | you know? | 你知道吗? |
[33:20] | She did? | 她有? |
[33:21] | Yeah, I just didn’t know it at the time. | 是的 只是那时我还没意识到 |
[33:29] | Are you crying, Mommy? | 你在哭吗 妈妈? |
[33:31] | No. | 不 |
[33:32] | If you’re scared, you can sleep here with me. | 如果你害怕的话 可以和我一起睡 |
[33:35] | Oh… | 噢… |
[33:41] | You are my very best little girl. | 你真是我的宝贝女儿啊 |
[33:43] | You know that, right? | 你知道的 是吗? |
[33:47] | I’ll do anything to protect you. | 为了保护你 我会不惜一切 |
[33:49] | Anything, and I want you | 希望你记住 |
[33:51] | to remember that no matter what, | 无论发生什么 |
[33:55] | Mommy loves you very, very much. | 妈妈是爱你的 很爱很爱你 |
[33:59] | I love you too, Mommy. | 我也爱你 妈妈 |
[34:13] | Wait! | 等等! |
[34:18] | Lookit, for you. | 看看这个 是给你的 |
[34:21] | For me? | 给我的? |
[34:23] | Oh, and Rachel has red hair. | 噢 一头红发的Rachel |
[34:26] | Like your mommy. | 就像你妈妈一样 |
[34:33] | Rachel, where did you get this paper? | Rachel 你在哪找到这张纸的? |
[34:37] | This is the page I was missing- my poetry. | 这是我诗句里缺失的 |
[34:39] | Where did you get it? | 你在哪找到的? |
[34:41] | It was in Daddy’s things. | 是在爸爸的东西里找到的 |
[34:45] | In Daddy’s things? | 爸爸的东西? |
[34:47] | Where? | 哪里? |
[34:48] | In the attic. | 阁楼上 |
[34:52] | You still have that drawing? | 那幅画你还有留着吗? |
[34:54] | Of course. | 当然 |
[34:56] | I never threw it out. | 我永远都不可能丢掉的 |
[34:58] | I’d forgotten what she said | 直到现在 |
[34:59] | to me that night until now- | 我一直忘不了她那晚说的话 |
[35:02] | that I was her very best little girl. | 我是她最棒的宝贝女儿 |
[35:05] | You sure it was Nancy’s poem on the back of that paper? | 你确定纸背面的是Nancy的诗? |
[35:09] | That’s what my mother said. | 我母亲是那样说的 |
[35:11] | It was hers. | 是她的 |
[35:15] | “Hollow. | “空洞” |
[35:17] | “No escape from the dark. | “逃离不出黑暗” |
[35:20] | I sit. “ | “我枯坐” |
[35:23] | “Alone in empty rooms. “ | “孤独地留在这空房间” |
[35:26] | Poetry ain’t really my thing, but I got to admit… | 诗情画意不是我的特长 但我想说… |
[35:29] | this one got to me. | 这些诗句打动了我的心 |
[35:30] | It was translated | 它被译为 |
[35:31] | into seven languages. | 7种语言 |
[35:32] | Critics said it was infused | 评论家说 |
[35:33] | with your wife’s spirit. | 里面满布你妻子的影子 |
[35:35] | It was. I dedicated it to her. | 是的 因为这是向她致敬 |
[35:37] | Didn’t really see you as the type to write like this. | 看不出你是这类型的作家啊 |
[35:40] | – What do you mean? – Well, this poem | – 你是什么意思? – 这首诗 |
[35:42] | is about… | 是关于… |
[35:44] | frailty, | 脆弱 |
[35:45] | people on the fringes, lost hope. | 脆弱的 失去希望的 人们 |
[35:47] | Nancy knew a lot about that. | Nancy对这个深有体会 |
[35:48] | Didn’t she? | 不是吗? |
[35:50] | Uneducated, orphaned by her mother, | 没受过多少教育 因为母亲的缘故成为孤儿 |
[35:52] | widowed, | 寡妇 |
[35:54] | raising a kid on her own. | 独立抚养女儿 |
[35:56] | She didn’t have an easy time of it. | 她的日子过得很不顺利 |
[35:57] | The worst part is | 最糟糕的是 |
[35:58] | she never got the credit she deserved. | 她一直得不到应得的赞誉 |
[36:01] | I’m afraid I’m not following. | 请恕我不懂你在说什么 |
[36:03] | This… | 这个… |
[36:03] | was infused with your wife’s spirit | 布满你妻子的影子 |
[36:05] | ’cause she wrote the damn thing. | 因为这是她写的 |
[36:08] | That’s preposterous. | 真是太荒谬了 |
[36:09] | Then what was Nancy’s original | 那Nancy的原稿 |
[36:11] | doing in the attic in your desk? | 怎么会在阁楼你的桌子上呢? |
[36:17] | It’s not Nancy’s original. | 不是Nancy的原稿 |
[36:18] | It’s mine. | 是我的 你不用打字机的 |
[36:18] | You didn’t use a typewriter. | 是我的 你不用打字机的 |
[36:19] | Remember, the muse and all? | 记得吗 那套关于灵感的理论? |
[36:22] | She, she typed it for me. | 她替我打出来而已 |
[36:23] | You son of a bitch, | 你这个混蛋 |
[36:25] | she’s the one who should be tting behind that desk | 她才是应当坐在这张桌子后面的人 |
[36:26] | – and you know it. – Nonsense. | – 你也清楚这一点 – 胡扯! |
[36:28] | You had a deadline; | 你的截稿期快到了 |
[36:29] | your career was at stake; | 你的事业悬于一线 |
[36:30] | and you couldn’t write a thing, could you? | 但你什么都写不出 是吗? |
[36:32] | Who better to steal from than the real talent living | 为什么不从 |
[36:34] | – in your house? – She stole from me! | – 家里唯一的天才那偷过来呢? – 是她剽窃我的! |
[36:37] | That’s what you told yourself, | 只是你自己向自己说而已 |
[36:38] | – how you slept at night. – You made her out to be nuts | – 你晚上怎么睡得着 – 你把她弄得精神恍惚 |
[36:40] | so you could steal her work and make it your own. | 然后就能剽窃她的作品 据为己有 |
[36:42] | You got poor, dumb, lovelorn Annette in on the plan, too. | 你把可怜 可悲的Annette扯进这个计划里 |
[36:45] | It’s a perfect solution. | 真是完美的解决办法 |
[36:47] | Nancy’s daughter | Nancy的女儿 |
[36:49] | spent her entire life afraid she might go crazy, too; | 一辈子都在担心自己也会发疯 |
[36:52] | beating herself up, thinking she was the one | 摧毁自己 以为是自己 |
[36:54] | who pushed her mother over the edge. | 把母亲逼上绝路的 |
[36:57] | But it was you. | 但真正造成这一些的是你 |
[37:00] | I was so desperate. | 我很绝望 |
[37:02] | People expected so much from me. | 人们对我有太大的期望 |
[37:05] | I had no choice! | 我别无选择! |
[37:06] | Why your wife? | 为什么是妻子? |
[37:09] | Why steal from her? | 为什么剽窃她的? |
[37:10] | Had to be other writers around, other students. | 不能剽窃身边其他作家或学生吗? |
[37:14] | You still don’t get it, do you? | 你还是不明白 对吗? |
[37:17] | Get what? | 明白什么? |
[37:19] | How good Nancy was. | Nancy有多棒 |
[37:28] | Nance? | |
[37:32] | Nancy? | |
[37:51] | Daniel. | |
[37:52] | Nancy. | |
[37:54] | – What are you doing up here? – I’m confused. | – 你上来这里干吗? – 我很迷惑 |
[37:57] | I know. You need rest. | 我知道 你需要休息 |
[37:58] | – Come to bed. – I’m confused about who you are. | – 上床睡觉吧 – 我搞不懂你是什么 |
[38:01] | – What? – Only a monster | – 什么? – 只有一个混蛋 |
[38:02] | would use this against me. | 才会用这个对付我 |
[38:05] | You’re the one who’s lost his mind. | 你才是那个失去理智的人 |
[38:11] | You shouldn’t have come up here. | 你不应该上来这里的 |
[38:13] | You took my words. | 你剽窃我的作品 |
[38:15] | – You took me. – You know what my first professor said about me? | – 你偷了我的! – 你知道我第一个教授说过什么吗? |
[38:18] | He said my pen must have been touched by the gods. | 他说我的文笔是上帝赋予的天赋 |
[38:21] | He said my potential was unlimited. | 他说我的潜能是无限的 |
[38:22] | – What’s wrong with you, Daniel? – He was wrong. | – 他说错你了 Daniel – 他说错了? |
[38:25] | All I had was potential, nothing more. | 我有的是潜能 我只有这个 |
[38:27] | I have craft | 我有天分 |
[38:28] | and diligence and a PhD, | 我勤奋 还有博士学位 |
[38:30] | and it’s amounted to a thousand pages of mediocrity. | 那等于1000个庸才了 |
[38:33] | I’m going downstairs to Rachel. | 我要下楼找Rachel |
[38:35] | As I toiled in the dark, where were the gods then? | 当我在黑暗中摸索 神灵在哪? |
[38:38] | Where were they? | 他们在哪? |
[38:40] | With a secretary. | 居然赋予给一个秘书 |
[38:44] | This is genius. | 这是天才之作 |
[38:46] | Written by a daughter of the state? | 由一个疯女人的女儿写出来的? |
[38:48] | – That’s what you hate, isn’t it? – You couldn’t have done this. | – 你就恨这一点 是吗? – 你不可能写出这个 |
[38:50] | You couldn’t have written this, not you! | 你不可能写出这个 不可能是你!! |
[38:52] | But I did. | 但我做到了 |
[38:54] | I did write it, Daniel. | 我写出来了 Daniel |
[38:55] | No, you didn’t. I did. | 不 你没有 是我写的! |
[38:57] | It’s mine. You stole it from me. | 是我写的! 你从我这偷走 |
[39:00] | My pen has been touched by the hand of God. | 我的笔被上帝赋予过天赋的 |
[39:04] | Oh! | 噢! |