时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:08] | Hey,we’re running out of sun. | 嘿 太阳快下山了 |
[00:10] | – Come on,let’s play. – Let me finish. | – 别画了 来玩吧 – 等我画完吧 |
[00:12] | Oh,hi Skip. | 嗨 Skip |
[00:14] | Oh,that’s a good one,son. | 儿子 这张画得不错 |
[00:15] | – You even got the robin’s nest. – Thanks,ma. | – 连知更鸟的巢都画上了 – 谢谢 妈妈 |
[00:18] | – Where is dad? – Uhm,working late I suppose. | – 爸爸呢? – 可能加班呢 |
[00:21] | And now a news update. | 现在 播报最新消息 |
[00:23] | Yesterday Japan continued its attack along Mount Samat. | 昨日 日本继续进攻萨马特山沿线 |
[00:26] | The US Philippine divisions suffered heavy losses. | 驻菲美军损失严重 |
[00:34] | – Oh my God. – God. | – 哦 天哪 – 天哪 |
[00:47] | Sorry I’m late sweetheart. | 抱歉 亲爱的 我回来晚了 |
[00:50] | How can we afford a new car? | 我们哪买的起新车? |
[00:52] | The bank’s just credited us a loan for two new stores. | 只用了两个新店作抵押 |
[00:54] | – It’s called franchising. – I thought they said no. | – 这叫特许权 – 我还以为他们说不行 |
[00:58] | I went to the old backup plan. | 我又采取了备用计划 |
[01:00] | The backup plan being “don’t give up”? | 备用计划就是”永不放弃”? |
[01:02] | – Never fails. – This is a Packard! | – 屡试不爽 – 这不会是辆Packard吧? |
[01:05] | Yup,gonna drive you to art classes in style. | 没错 开着它送你去上美术课 够拉风吧? |
[01:09] | Hey, | 嘿 |
[01:10] | what do we have here? | 你这里怎么了? |
[01:12] | Some fat heads at school. | 学校有几个蠢货 |
[01:14] | Blamed me for Pearl Harbor. | 因为珍珠港偷袭的事找茬 |
[01:15] | We’re as American as those boys. | 我们和那些孩子一样 都是美国人 |
[01:18] | Did you sack ’em back? | 你回击了吗? |
[01:20] | – I thought fighting was bad. – It is. | – 我觉得打架不好 – 的确 |
[01:23] | But standing up for yourself is another thing,son. | 但维护尊严就另当别论了 儿子 |
[01:26] | Don’t forget that. | 记住了 |
[01:28] | Give it a touch Mr. T? | Takahashi先生 打球吗? |
[01:30] | Absolutely Skip. | 当然 Skip |
[01:33] | Come on,huddle up,Billy. You too honey. Let’s go. | 来 商量下对策 Billy 亲爱的 你也来 |
[01:35] | Skip,you’re going down. | Skip 你输定了 |
[01:38] | Come on. You stay away there,Skip. | 来吧 Skip 你站那里 |
[01:40] | Alright,let’s do this. Ready? | 要开始啦 准备好了么? |
[01:43] | Team! | 加油! |
[01:45] | 3-42. | 3-42. |
[01:48] | Never seen such a swollen-looking center. | 从未见过这么圆润的中锋 |
[01:50] | What are you doing after the game,hot-kicks? | 玩完你打算做什么 亲爱的? |
[01:52] | – Wouldn’t you like to know! – Dad,come on! | – 你不会想知道的 – 爸 快开始吧 |
[01:54] | Al right. Hike! | 好吧 偷袭! |
[02:04] | Dad? | 爸爸? |
[02:16] | All Japanese persons,both alien and non-alien will be… | 所有日本人 侨民或非侨民 |
[02:19] | evacuated by noon on April 7th 1942. | 均将于1942年4月7日中午进行疏散 |
[02:24] | What do they mean,alien and non-alien? | 侨民或非侨民是什么意思? |
[02:29] | They mean us. | 就是咱们 |
[03:07] | Court that bad? | 出庭不顺利? |
[03:10] | Coffee there makes this stuff gourmet. | 喝过那里的咖啡 觉得这里的真是上品 |
[03:17] | Last day of boss’s suspension. | 头儿停职的最后一天 |
[03:20] | Jeffrey said he’s putting in his retirement papers. | Jefferies说他把退休申请交上去了 |
[03:25] | – Any word on who would be coming in? – Not Jeffries. | – 知道谁来替他吗? – 反正不是Jefferies |
[03:28] | Some clown from West. Been reassigned six times. | 也许是某个从西部来的小丑 被调动过6次的那种人 |
[03:33] | I didn’t know what I’d do if I didn’t come here every day. | 一天不来 我就不知道该干什么了 |
[03:35] | Some things I’d miss, some things I wouldn’t. | 有些事我会怀念 有些则不会 |
[03:37] | Like… court. | 比如… 出庭 |
[03:40] | All pains in the ass those A.D.A’s. | 那些助理检察官个个难缠 |
[03:43] | Yeah,real pains. | 是啊 烦的不得了 |
[03:44] | Oil and water. Cops and Lawyers. | 警察和律师 就象油和水 |
[03:48] | Usually,that is. | 通常是那样 |
[03:49] | More like 24/7. | 一直都那样 |
[03:51] | – Excuse me,are you detectives? – Yeah. | – 请问 你们是警探吗? – 是的 |
[03:57] | My father,Raymond Takahashi, | 我父亲 Raymond Takahashi |
[04:01] | was killed in 1945. | 在1945年被谋杀 |
[04:03] | – They never caught who did it. – It’s sixty-plus years ago. | – 但他们始终未抓到真凶 – 60多年了 |
[04:06] | A long time. | 够长的 |
[04:07] | I just found a 20,000-dollar check from the government… | 我刚找到一张政府签发的2万美元支票 |
[04:10] | – issued to my mother in the 1990. – Tax refund? | – 是1990年发给我母亲的 – 退税款? |
[04:15] | Restitution. | 是赔偿 |
[04:17] | My family was… | 我的家人 曾进过… |
[04:19] | at the Manzanar relocation center. | Manzanar重置中心 |
[04:21] | Manzanar? What’s that? | Manzanar 是什么? |
[04:23] | A camp in California where they held Japanese-Americans during World War II. | 是加利福尼亚的一个收容所 二战时关押日裔美国人 |
[04:28] | – An internment camp. – I was born there. | – 俘虏收容所 – 我在那里出生 |
[04:32] | Never knew it,my mother was too ashamed to tell me. | 我一直都不知道 母亲耻于告诉我 |
[04:36] | So,what’s that gotta do with your father’s murder? | 这和你父亲的案子有什么关系? |
[04:39] | My father was killed a few months after we got out and moved to Philly. | 我们出来后 搬到费城没几个月 我父亲就被杀了 |
[04:43] | Maybe the police were looking in the wrong place for his murder. | 也许警察查错了方向 |
[04:47] | Maybe,eh? | 也许吧 |
[04:49] | I found this old picture, | 我找到这张旧照片 |
[04:52] | of my parents and my big brother Billy. | 是我父母和我哥哥Billy |
[04:57] | He died in the war. | 他死于战争 |
[05:00] | The way she smiled at them… | 她对他们微笑的样子… |
[05:03] | She never looks at me like that. | 她从未对我那样笑过 |
[05:07] | I’d love one chance to meet the woman in that picture. | 我希望能再次看到照片中的女人 |
[05:13] | – We’ll take a look. Can’t promise we’ll find anything – I understand. | – 我们会查的 但不能保证查清一切 – 我理解 |
[05:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢你们 |
[05:23] | So… the guy survived being locked up in an internment camp. | 那个人在俘虏收容所里幸存下来 |
[05:28] | Only to be killed in the City of Brotherly Love. | |
[05:58] | Cold Case Season05 Episode11 | 铁证悬案 家庭编号 8108 Family 8108 |
[06:04] | Ray Takahashi. | |
[06:06] | Body found a few blocks from the old municipal stadium. | 尸体在距市政体育馆几个街区远的 地方被发现 |
[06:09] | Night of the Army-Navy football game. | 当晚是陆军对海军的橄榄球比赛 |
[06:11] | He was beaten,pushed down a flight of stairs,broke his neck. | 被人欧打 被推下楼梯 摔断了脖子 |
[06:14] | The theory was some drunk bigget roughed him up. | 先前认定是某个醉鬼打了他 |
[06:17] | Took things to far. | 抢了东西逃之夭夭 |
[06:18] | All of two interviews were grow hard on this one. | 两次讯问都在这问题上难以继续 |
[06:21] | Cause a Jap’s a Jap,right? | 因为小日本就是小日本 对吧? |
[06:23] | Ray’s family lived in California until | Ray的家人一直住在加利佛尼亚 |
[06:25] | FTR banned all Japanese-Americans from the West Coast in 1942. | 直到1942年 罗斯福总统开始隔离 西海岸所有的日裔美国人 |
[06:30] | One hundred thousand were forced in the camps without do process. | 有10万人未经任何程序 就被强制关进收容所 |
[06:34] | Most were born and raised there. | 大部分都是土生土长的当地人 |
[06:35] | And none were ever arrested for espionage. | 但那之前 他们中没有任何人 因间谍罪被捕过 |
[06:38] | Ray’s son,Billy,gave up his life for the american dream. | Ray的儿子Billy 为守护美国梦牺牲了生命 |
[06:41] | Died overseas on 1944. | 1945年战死海外 |
[06:44] | Were founds an empty envelope on Ray’s body. | 从Ray尸体上找到一个空信封 |
[06:46] | Addressed to him in Manzanar. | 寄到了他在Manzanar的地址 |
[06:48] | Return address just says APO 513. | 回信地址只写着APO 513 |
[06:51] | Army post office. How we used to get our mail home. | 这是部队的地址 我们在那里收取家里的来信 |
[06:54] | The letter could be from his kid Billy. | 那这信可能是Billy写的 |
[06:56] | Not likely. It was mailed November 27th,1944. | 不太可能 这封信是 1944年11月25日寄的 |
[07:00] | Billy died October 13th. | Billy是10月13日死的 |
[07:02] | An envelope,no letter. | 信封里没有信 |
[07:04] | Contents could be a motive. | 内容里可能含有杀人动机 |
[07:05] | So,what’s the letter writer hiding? Something that happened in Manzanar? | 写信人想隐瞒什么? 与发生在Manzanar的事有关吗? |
[07:09] | Let’s strike down all the records we can get from there and… | 就从那里还能找到的记录开始查 还有… |
[07:12] | have Laitens take a look. | 拿给Laitens查一下 |
[07:14] | Good luck in the print off for sixty-year old envelope. | 从60年前的信封上找指纹 祝你好运 |
[07:17] | Boss was military too. Might have some input. | 头也在部队待过 或许能从他那里打听点线索 |
[07:22] | You’ll have better luck with the print. | 还是找到指纹的希望大点 |
[07:30] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[07:36] | Quiet gettin’ to you? | 现在喜欢一个人呆着了? |
[07:38] | – I am not much of a cook,frankly. – Right. | – 其实我不太会做饭 – 是吗? |
[07:42] | You’re here for the chili? | 你来这里尝辣酱? |
[07:44] | No… for a job. | 不是… 为了案子的事 |
[07:46] | A Japanese-American camp internee killed in ’45. | 俘虏收容所的一名日裔美国人 1945年被杀 |
[07:50] | The night of the Army-Navy game. | 就在陆军对海军的橄榄球赛当晚 |
[07:53] | My father was at that game. | 我父亲参加了那次比赛 |
[07:55] | – Proud Army Man. – It must have broke his hearth. | – 自豪的陆军士兵 – 他肯定很伤心 |
[07:58] | – You’re going Navy. – Ah! You got over it. | – 因为你去了海军 – 你总会想通的 |
[08:01] | Eventually. | 总有一天会的 |
[08:05] | Found this on our victim’s body, | 在受害人尸体上找到这个 |
[08:07] | APO is the only clue to who sent it. | 唯一能知道寄信人的线索就是APO |
[08:10] | Oh,have Laitens take a look. | 让Laitens看看呗 |
[08:12] | I’m sure Jeffries already told you that. | Jefferies肯定告诉过你了 |
[08:17] | Our victim’s son,Billy,died in the war,he was an army guy. | 受害人的儿子Billy死于战争 他是个陆军士兵 |
[08:21] | 442nd? | 442团级战斗队的? |
[08:24] | All Japanese-American unit. | 所有日裔美军隶属的部队 |
[08:26] | Most decorated of the time,for its size. | 获勋章最多的部队 就他们的规模来说 (该团获得过20枚国会荣誉勋章 52枚十字勋章 560枚银星勋章 28枚双银星 4000枚铜星 1200枚双铜星) |
[08:29] | Could use your eyes on this one,boss. | 你可以帮忙看看 头儿 |
[08:33] | ?????I put my papers in the ready though. You know that. | 我已经递交申请了 你知道的 |
[08:39] | So,what are we supposed to do without you kickin’ our asses? | 没有你来教训 我们以后怎么办? |
[08:45] | You’ll survive. | 你们会熬过去的 |
[08:50] | Enjoy your chili. | 好好享受你的辣酱 |
[09:09] | Why did you bring this stranger,here,Barbara? | 干嘛带这个陌生人来 Barbara? |
[09:12] | – You know I don’t wanna talk about it. – It’s been 62 years,mom. | – 你知道我不想谈那件事 – 妈妈 都过了62年了 |
[09:15] | – Isn’t it time you did? – You recognize this… Mrs Takahashi? | – 难道不该说说了吗? – Takahashi太太 您认得这个吧? |
[09:20] | – No. – Your husband had it when he was killed. | – 不认得 – 你丈夫被杀时带着这个 |
[09:23] | – Do you know anyone in the Army who might have sent it? – No. | – 你是否知道部队里有谁会寄这个? – 不知道 |
[09:33] | Quite a picture. You draw that? | 这画不错 您画的? |
[09:36] | My son did. Billy. | 我儿子Billy画的 |
[09:39] | That’s him with his best friend Skip,from home. | 那是他和他家乡的好友Skip |
[09:42] | I heard about your son’s unit,the 442nd. | 我听说过您儿子的部队 442团 |
[09:45] | – Not many have. – Real heroic guys. | – 没多少人知道 – 他们真的很英勇 |
[09:51] | The war was supposed to make us equal. | 战争的本意是让所有人都平等 |
[09:54] | – It didn’t. – Because… you were in the camps. | – 而实际并非如此 – 因为… 你被关在收容所? |
[10:00] | – It’s okay to talk about it,mom. – What difference does it make. | – 说吧 妈妈 没事的 – 说了又能怎样? |
[10:03] | Solving your husband’s murder? | 如果这能破你丈夫的案子呢? |
[10:05] | – Maybe Manzanar have something to do with it. – Why? | – 可能和Manzanar的事有关 – 为什么? |
[10:08] | We were just a number,no names. 8108,like criminals. | 我们不过是个代码 没有名字 8108 像罪犯一样 |
[10:15] | Did you make any enemies here? | 你们是否曾在那里树敌? |
[10:18] | From the moment we arrived. | 从我们一到那里就有了 |
[10:21] | Let’s go,get out,let’s go,right now. | 快走 出来 快走 赶紧的 |
[10:24] | – Okay,sir. – Come on,quickly,quickly,ome on,right here. | – 好的 先生 – 快走 赶紧 赶紧 快走 就站这 |
[10:27] | Right here,in the line,right here,let’s go,get your things. | 就站这 排好队 就站这 快走 拿好东西 |
[10:30] | Come on,right here, let’s go,come on,move it. | 快点 站这 走 赶紧 动起来 |
[10:49] | – How long are we going to be here for? – Not too long. | – 我们要在这里待多久? – 不会太久的 |
[10:52] | It’s for our own protection. | 这是为了保护我们 |
[10:55] | Then why are the guns pointed at us? | 那为什么用枪指着我们? |
[10:57] | Billy,we’ll just sit tight,be good citizens and won’t be out of here **,understand? | Billy 我们只要乖乖安分守己 就会很快出去 明白了吗? |
[11:03] | – Name,Sir? – Takahashi. | – 先生 你的姓名? |
[11:06] | You will be in block 18 room 7,with the Watsanabi family. | 你们将与Watsanabi家一起 住在18区7号房 |
[11:11] | – We have to share? – At least we’ll be together. | – 我们要和别人住在一起? – 至少我们还在一起 |
[11:15] | Mattresses. Down the way you can fill them with straw. | 给你床垫 走到那边有稻草 可以当填充物 |
[11:22] | How’s the school here? I bet you folks didn’t know you got a young Rembrandt visiting. | 这里的学校如何? 你们肯定不知道 这有位年轻的伦布郎(荷兰画家) |
[11:26] | – Are you an artist? – I guess. | – 你是个画家? – 算是吧 |
[11:29] | Me too. I teach a painting class. It’s gonna be fun. | 我也是 我教美术课 肯定会很有意思的 |
[11:37] | I made this. So that you don’t forget you’re Americans. | 这是我做的 这样你们就不会忘记 自己是美国人了 |
[11:41] | – Just wanted to give you some sort of welcome. – Your smile is welcome enough. | – 仅表欢迎 – 你的微笑足以表示欢迎了 |
[11:45] | I have seen nothing but frowns all day. The sun’s still shining. | 我看了一整天的皱眉头 阳光依旧灿烂 |
[11:49] | – Don’t understand? – They’re messing with you,Mary Anne? | – 可他们却不明白 – 他们在找你麻烦吗 Marry Anne? |
[11:53] | No,Larry,it’s okay. | 不是的 Larry 没关系 |
[11:56] | I don’t know why they let you people in this country. | 真不明白为什么让你们这些人 来这个国家 |
[11:59] | I was born here. | 我出生在这里 |
[12:01] | And you got cousins in the old country,fighting for the Emperor? | 那你老家有表兄弟为天皇而战吧? |
[12:04] | Scholz. That german? | Scholz 是德国姓氏吧? |
[12:07] | – Your cousins fighting for Hitler? – You watch it,Mister. | – 你有表兄弟为希特勒卖命吧? – 说话小心点 先生 |
[12:11] | Pick it up. I said pick it up,Jap. | 捡起来 我说捡起来 小日本 |
[12:34] | You know the funny thing about wars,kid? | 年轻人 你知道战争可笑在哪吗? |
[12:37] | They always find a way to end. | 就是他们总有办法结束战争 |
[12:39] | – We will meet outside this fence,one day. – Count on that. | – 总有一天我们会在栅栏外再会 – 那就走着瞧 |
[12:42] | Yeah. | 好 |
[12:49] | But this guard,he headed out for your husband. | 那个看守 跟你丈夫找茬 |
[12:52] | Patroled the camp,gun at a ready,looking for trouble. | 巡视营地 端着枪 寻机找茬 |
[12:55] | – He and Ray ever had another running? – Not that I know of. | – 他和Ray之后还有过冲突吗? – 据我所知没有 |
[13:02] | I found our guard,Larry Scholz. | 我找到那个看守Larry Scholz了 |
[13:05] | Shipped out in Manzanar on ’43. Stationed in Italy,till the end of the war. | 43年坐船离开Manzanar 驻扎意大利 直到战争结束 |
[13:09] | – A rock-solid alibi if I ever heard of one. – Not quite. | – 这是我听过的最有力的不在场证词 – 也不全是 |
[13:12] | He got a medal on the 1945 Army-Navy game,here in Philly. | 1945年 他在费城举行的陆海军球赛后 获得一枚勋章 |
[13:15] | – The same night Ray was killed. – Maybe they met up again. | – 就是Ray被杀那晚 – 也许他们又相遇了 |
[13:18] | Larry’s side of the world needed one less jap. | 在Larry的世界里 一个小日本都不该有 |
[13:21] | ’cause keeping them in prison wasn’t enough. | 因为把他们关进监狱还不够 |
[13:24] | We were at war. They’d have done the same to us,if you were in Japan. | 那是战争时期嘛 如果我们在日本 他们亦会如此对待我们 |
[13:28] | Would you feel the same if it was your family? | 如果那是你们家人 你也这么觉得? |
[13:33] | So where is Larry Scholz’s current place of residence? | 那么 Larry Scholz现在住哪里? |
[13:37] | Veterans Army Hospital at Virginia. | 弗吉尼亚的退役军人医院 |
[13:40] | There’s a five hour drive. | 那得开5个小时车呢 |
[13:44] | – Shame I got all this paperwork. – Shame I’m still on hold. | – 真不好意思 我得写所有这些报告 – 真不好意思 我还在等电话 |
[13:49] | Have fun,sweet talking. Tollbooth Tennence. | 祝你开心 好好谈啊 Tennence收费亭 |
[13:53] | Yeah. | 好 |
[13:57] | Larry Scholz? | |
[14:02] | Philly P.D. We’re here about Ray Takahashi. | 费城警察 调查Ray Takahashi的案子 |
[14:05] | – Taka what? – Hashi. | – Taka 什么? |
[14:08] | Takahashi. He was at Mazanar internment camp in 1942. | Takahashi 1942年他关在 Manzanar俘虏收容所 |
[14:12] | – Under you watch. – Murdered in ’45. | – 由你监管 – 1945年被谋杀 |
[14:14] | – Witness think you had a beef with him. – Beef? | – 有目击者称你曾和他起过冲突 – 冲突? |
[14:16] | You kidding me? I was just doing my job. | 开什么玩笑 我只是尽职而已 |
[14:19] | – We were at war. – Imprisoning our own citizens,yeah. | – 那可是战争时期 – 关押我们自己的公民 是啊 |
[14:23] | – That make sense. – Saying you wouldn’t think twice about sitting | – 真有道理 – 如果在911事件后坐飞机… |
[14:26] | on a plane next to an arab after 9/11? | 让你坐阿拉伯人旁边 你会不会犹豫? |
[14:31] | Come on. | 得了吧 |
[14:34] | You sent this to Ray,all overseas? | 你在国外给Ray寄过这个吗? |
[14:38] | Never seen that before in my life. | 我这辈子都没见过 |
[14:40] | – Look close. – I’ll look all you want. | – 再仔细看看 – 你让我怎么看都行 |
[14:43] | – I didn’t send that letter to some enemy out of state. – Hated the guy,didn’t you? | – 但我没从海外给敌人寄过那封信 – 你恨这个人吧? |
[14:47] | Kept tabs on him at camp,sure. | 没错 我是在收容所监视过他 |
[14:51] | – Part of my duties. – How long did you watch ray for. | – 那是我职责的一部分 – 你监视Ray多久了? |
[14:53] | Until I realizes his old ball and chain was keeping him too busy to make any trouble. | 直到我发现他为私事忙得团团转 根本没空惹麻烦为止 |
[15:10] | You’re drawing me another pretty Blue Jay? | 你又在给我画漂亮的蓝鸦吗? |
[15:13] | Sure,ma. | 是的 妈妈 |
[15:16] | I was about to look at the bulletin of japanese-american enlistment. | 我刚看见公告板上 有日裔美国人的征兵启示 |
[15:19] | – Does it mean we can leave? – Oh,no. | – 那意味着我们可以走了? – 噢 不是 |
[15:22] | – It means you can enlist,son? – Enlist? | – 这意味着你可以应征入伍 儿子? – 应征入伍? |
[15:25] | Prove as american as the rest. | 向其他人一样证明自己是美国人 |
[15:27] | You’re gonna make a great soldier. I know you got it in you. | 你会成为一名出色的士兵 我知道你行 |
[15:32] | This why I’d be fighting for? | 我就为了这个而战? |
[15:35] | – Billy. – What did I say on the first day,dad? | – 爸 第一天来时我说什么来着? |
[15:38] | – Private 8108,part of the duty. – This is just temporary. | – 被称为平民8108 这也是义务? – 这只是临时的 |
[15:41] | We have to act right to prove ourselves? | 我们必须安分守己来证明自己? |
[15:43] | – Don’t say we don’t belong here. – I’m not going. | – 别说我们不属于这里 – 我才不去 |
[15:53] | What the hell is the matter with him? | 他到底怎么了? |
[15:56] | We’ve been acting right for a year already in this place. | 我们都在这地方安分守己一年了 |
[15:58] | The whole contry is making sacrifices,we have to play our part. | 整个国家都在做牺牲 我们也应该尽力而为 |
[16:02] | We’re living in a shack. | 我们住在小破屋里 |
[16:04] | Standing in lines for food like baggers we have lost everything we worked for. | 像乞丐一样排队要饭吃 失去曾为之努力的一切 |
[16:08] | Open your eyes,Ray,for once. | 睁开眼睛看看吧 Ray 哪怕就一次 |
[16:12] | Wait,wait,wait. Wait,wait,come on. | 等等 等等 别这样 |
[16:15] | Calm down,Evelyn! You love those plates. | 冷静点 Evelyn! 你那么喜欢那些盘子 |
[16:22] | I’m pregnant. | 我怀孕了 |
[16:26] | What? | 什么? |
[16:28] | You are? | 真的? |
[16:31] | That’s fantastic. | 太好了 |
[16:35] | I can’t… raise a baby in a place like this. | 我不能… 在这样的地方养育孩子 |
[16:41] | Not as a prisoner. | 像囚犯一样 |
[16:49] | Didn’t have hit him or harass him after that. | 从那之后就再没打过他或找他麻烦 |
[16:52] | Real sweet of you,Larry. | Larry 你还真贴心哈 |
[16:54] | – Where were you the night of the army navy game? – Getting my medal. | – 陆海军比赛那晚你在哪里? – 接受我的勋章 |
[16:57] | – Ask Truman. – Ceremony didn’t last all night. | – 不信你问Truman – 授勋仪式又不是整晚举行 |
[17:00] | Talk to my commanding officer, he’s right down the hall. | 那就去问我的指挥官 他就在一层 |
[17:03] | In the president suite. | 住着总统套房 |
[17:05] | – Larry Scholz’s lieutenet confirmed his alibi. – A real gold prize,that guy. | – Larry Scholz的上尉确认了他的不在场证词 – 还带着货真价实的勋章 |
[17:10] | Forgot your file,Lil. | 你文件落我那里了 Lil |
[17:13] | John. | |
[17:16] | Good to see you. | 见到你真好 |
[17:18] | – Just droppin’ and off. – Any thoughts on who sent the envelope? | – 只是顺路经过 马上就走的 – 你觉得这封信是谁寄的? |
[17:24] | I talked to my military contacts about it. | 我跟部队的朋友聊了一下 |
[17:26] | The army post office number came from a french hospital. | 这个陆军邮编来自一家法国医院 |
[17:29] | – No army examiner stamp. – Meaning… | – 没有陆军验收戳 – 就是说… |
[17:31] | Meaning it didn’t go through inspection. It came from an officer. | 就是说没有进行查验 是由一位军官寄的 |
[17:35] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[17:37] | Gotta go. Good luck. | 我得走了 祝你们好运 |
[17:44] | – Just droppin’ something off… – Right. | – 只是顺路经过… – 没错 |
[17:47] | Mazanar logs. One visitor in the three years Ray was there. | Mazanar的日志 Ray在那里3年只有一个访客 |
[17:51] | Skip Robertson,Billy’s friend. | Skip Robertson, Billy的朋友 |
[17:54] | – Makes sense he would visit. – Turns out Skip was also Billy’s lieutenent. | – 他去探访倒是合情合理 – Skip也是Billy的上尉 |
[17:59] | Injured in the same battle that killed Billy and friends. | Billy和朋友们战死的那场战斗 他也受了伤 |
[18:02] | – Could be our letter writer. – So what’s he hiding? | – 有可能就是写信人 – 那他要隐瞒什么呢? |
[18:17] | Appreciate you driving out from Jersey,Skip. | Skip 谢谢你开车远道从泽西城过来 |
[18:19] | Oh,please,call me Eugene. | 请叫我Eugene |
[18:22] | – Recognize this hand writing? – Yeah,it’s mine. Where did you get it? | – 还认得这笔迹吗? – 是 这是我的笔迹 你从哪得到它的? |
[18:27] | Ray Takahashi had it…. | Ray Takahashi身上带着的… |
[18:29] | when someone pushed him down a flight of stairs… | 当他被人推下楼梯时 |
[18:31] | the night of the army-navy game in 1945. | 1945年海陆军比赛的那天晚上 |
[18:33] | – Ray Takahashi was murdered? – You that someone Skip? | – Ray Takahashi被谋杀了? – 你就是那个推他的人 Skip? |
[18:37] | Give him a push? | 推他? |
[18:38] | Probably were intown for the game,right? | 很可能在城里打比赛,不是吗? |
[18:40] | I was with my army buddies all night,and I can give you names. | 我整晚都和战友们在一起 可以给你他们的名字 |
[18:44] | Do that. | 好的 给我 |
[18:45] | Listen,Billy was my best friend and the Takahashis were like family to me! | 听着 Billy是我最好的朋友 Takahashi一家就像我的亲人 |
[18:50] | Look… After Billy died I was sent to the South Pacific and we lost touch. | 听着 Billy死后我被派去南太平洋 我们就失去了联络 |
[18:55] | What was in the envelope? | 信封里装的是什么? |
[18:57] | It was the last letter Billy wrote before he died. | Billy死前写的最后一封信 |
[18:59] | I found it in his things and sent it to his family. | 我在他的遗物中发现它 就寄给了他的家人 |
[19:02] | – What did it say? – I don’t know! | – 上面说什么? – 我不知道! |
[19:05] | Listen,Billy was a brave soldier. They all were the 442nd. | 听着 Billy是个勇敢的战士 他们都是第422战斗队的 |
[19:09] | Mmh… Billy didn’t seem like your average gung-ho soldier. | Billy似乎不象普通的热血士兵 |
[19:13] | He didn’t want to enlist. And that broke Ray’s heart. And that’s the reason Ray asked me to come visit. | 他不想参军 那伤透了Ray的心 那就是Ray要我来拜访的原因 |
[19:19] | I just can’t wait to get overseas and let those Nazis have it. | 我等不及想去海外 狠狠教训那帮纳粹 |
[19:24] | Your parents must be so proud. | 你父母一定感到很骄傲 |
[19:28] | Your dad says you’re not joining up. | 你爸爸说你不想参军 |
[19:31] | No matter what we do,we’ll always be Japs to them. | 不管我们怎么做 对他们来说我们永远是日本人 |
[19:34] | Hey,you don’t fight for this country, you make them right about us,Billy. | 嘿 如果你为这个国家而战 就能扭转他们对我们的看法 Billy |
[19:38] | What do you know about fighting? | 关于战争你知道多少? |
[19:40] | – What? – When you socked that guard,dad. | – 什么? – 当你对看守委曲求全时 爸爸 |
[19:45] | – You’re supposed to stand up for yourself. – You are,but things aren’t so simple now. | – 你本该挺身保护自己的尊严 – 本该如此 但现在事情没那么简单 |
[19:50] | Not in this world. | 在这个世界上没那么简单 |
[19:52] | They treat us like dirt,here. | 在这里 他们视我们为垃圾 |
[19:55] | How can you ask me to fight when you won’t? | 你怎能要求我去战争 而你自己却做不到呢? |
[20:01] | Ray. | |
[20:03] | – You’ve been telling the boys in the block to enlist? – You stay out of it,Shinji. | – 你让收容所里的男孩们参军? – 你别管这事 Shinji |
[20:06] | No,you stay out! This country treats our children… | 不 你才别管! 这个国家对待我们的孩子… |
[20:09] | – like cage animals! – Lower your voice… | – 就像笼里的动物! – 小声点… |
[20:11] | – The guards will hear you and send you away. – Guards! | – 如果看守会听到 你就会被带走 – 看守! |
[20:17] | You know what this is? Toilet paper! Guess what we are. | 你知道这是什么吗? 草纸! 和我们一样 |
[20:31] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[20:38] | Did he do this? | 是他干的吗? |
[20:38] | – Don’t ask me that,guard. – I’ll ask what I want,tojo. | – 别问我 长官 – 我想问什么就问什么 早告诉过你 |
[20:42] | Did this man desecrate the American flag? | 是这人亵渎美国国旗? |
[20:50] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:53] | You worthless traitor! | 你是个无耻的叛国者! |
[20:55] | You have my boy’s blood on your hands. This isn’t over Ray,this isn’t over! | 你双手沾满我儿子的血 这事没完 Ray 这事没完! |
[21:00] | Our kids! Think about it! Our kids! | 我们的孩子!想想看!我们的孩子! |
[21:16] | I’ll never forget the look on his face. Like Billy abandoned him. | 我永远不会忘记他的表情 就像Billy抛弃了他一样 |
[21:21] | You know if Shinji and Ray clashed again after that? | 你知道之后Shinji和Ray再有冲突吗? |
[21:23] | Now,Shinji was sent off to Tula Lake that day for desecrating the flag. | Shiji当天就因为亵渎国旗 被送去Tula湖 |
[21:28] | I saw him leave myself. | 我亲眼看着他离开 |
[21:37] | Looking into the 1945 murder of Ray Takahashi. Name ring a bell? | 调查1945年Ray Takahashi的谋杀案 这名字熟悉吗? |
[21:43] | We lived in that rat hole they called the detention center. | 我们生活在那个他们称做禁闭中心 的老鼠洞里 |
[21:47] | – So What? – The Menzanar was no picnic. | – 那又怎样? – Menzanar又不是去野营 |
[21:49] | – Tule Lake was even worse. – Long interrogations, | – Tule湖更糟糕 – 没完没了的审讯 |
[21:52] | cold weather,stockades,you put up with a lot. | 天气寒冷 到处是围栏 你经历了许多磨难 |
[21:54] | All because Ray Takahashi pinned you for a flag burner. | 一切都因为Ray Takahashi指认 你烧了国旗 |
[21:57] | Then Ray ends up dead in same city you set your residence in. | 后来Ray在你定居的城市被杀 |
[22:01] | Coincidence? | 巧合吗? |
[22:03] | A lot of us came here after the war because of the quakers. | 我们中很多人战后来到这里 因为贵格会的原因 |
[22:07] | They helped us get back on our feet. | 他们帮助我们重新站起来 |
[22:10] | My wife and I stuck. | 我和我的妻子熬过来了 |
[22:12] | Y’know,a guy like that,a traitor… | 你知道 一个…叛国者 |
[22:16] | sends me away from my family… | 让我家离子散… |
[22:18] | I’d be pretty pissed off. | 我一定特别愤怒 |
[22:20] | So maybe you get out of the Tula Lake,swore to find your buddy Ray. | 所以 也许你离开Tula湖 发誓找到你的老朋友 Ray |
[22:23] | I was still behind barbed wire when Ray died. | 当Ray死时 我仍被关在铁丝网里 |
[22:26] | Didn’t get out of Tula Lake through ’46, | 在Tula湖关到1946年 |
[22:28] | Cause I answered no twice to the government loyalty questionnaire. | 因为对政府的忠实度调查两次说了”不” |
[22:31] | A loyalty questionnaire? | 忠实度调查? |
[22:33] | Asked if we’d be willing to fight in the war. | 问我们是否愿意参加战争 |
[22:36] | Renounce the Japanese Emperor. | 与日本天皇断绝关系 |
[22:38] | – Ah! – And you refused to? | – 噢! – 而你拒绝了? |
[22:42] | Didn’t know the damn Emperor’s name. | 我他妈连天皇姓什么都不知道 |
[22:45] | I was born here! Just like you! | 我出生在这里! 就像你一样 |
[22:53] | As far as the government was concerned… | 而政府所关心的只是… |
[22:56] | I was just a Jap. | 我就是个小日本 |
[23:00] | And so was Ray. | Ray也是 |
[23:04] | But he still couldn’t see it. | 但他仍看不清现实 |
[23:22] | Hey Ray! | 嗨 Ray! |
[23:24] | – You done for the day? – Uh,almost. | – 你下班了吗? – 差不多吧 |
[23:27] | I’ve been reading up on your home town,Philadelphia. | 我一直在看你家乡的资料 费城 |
[23:30] | I understand the quakers have quite a presence there. | 我知道那里有很多贵格会教徒 |
[23:32] | We do. | 确实如此 |
[23:33] | Maybe when this… business is over… | 也许当这个…事情结束… |
[23:37] | – You could help me introduce me to some folks? – Of course. | – 你能把我介绍给一些当地人吗? – 当然可以 |
[23:40] | – I can help you find an apartment. – I appreciate it. | – 我可以帮你找个公寓 – 非常感谢 |
[23:46] | Ah,wait. I’ve something for you. | 等一下 我有东西给你 |
[23:50] | Carrots. For your Victory Garden. | 胡萝卜 为了你的胜利花园 |
[23:52] | – You and Billy can buy at them. – Thanks. | – 你和Billy可以去买它们 – 谢谢 |
[23:55] | – Buy them on my own,today. – Oh,busy with classes? | – 今天 就我一个人 – 噢 功课很忙? |
[24:00] | – Busy bliming me for the all war. – It’s that age. | – 他为这场战争一直责怪我 – 这年纪的孩子都那样 |
[24:07] | He doesn’t want to enlist. Doesn’t believe in dying for this country. | 他不想参军 不相信为国而战的信念 |
[24:12] | Doesn’t make me a better american if part of me believes in that too? | 如果我有些赞同他 我就不是合格的美国人吗? |
[24:15] | No,not in this place. | 不 在这个地方不能这么说 |
[24:18] | I always tought I’ll be judged on my character,not my skin. | 我总以为别人会根据我的人品 而非肤色来评价我 |
[24:25] | – I was wrong. – Ray… you have to know… | – 我错了 – Ray…你得知道… |
[24:29] | I never saw you as the enemy. | 我从来没有把你看成敌人 |
[24:32] | It’s not fair that you have to start over. | 让你重新开始是不公平的 |
[24:37] | I’ve been starting over my whole life. Easy as pie. | 我已经重新开始了 很容易 |
[24:45] | – Thanks. – For what? | – 谢谢 – 谢什么? |
[24:51] | You make me forget about where we really are. | 你让我忘记了我眼下在哪儿 |
[25:01] | You make me forget too. | 你也让我忘记了 |
[25:18] | So,Ray and the quaker were doing the dirty? | Ray和贵格会信徒私通了? |
[25:21] | The man preached loyalty on his soul box,but he wasn’t loyal. | 那人鼓吹忠诚 但事实上他并不忠诚 |
[25:27] | At least not to his wife. | 至少对他的妻子不忠 |
[25:33] | Thanks for your time. | 谢谢你抽空来 |
[25:40] | So,Mary Ann helped Ray move to Philly. Continue the affair? | Mary Ann帮助Ray搬到费城 好继续婚外恋? |
[25:43] | Or not,the affair wouldn’t found out? | 或许不是 被家里人发现了? |
[25:45] | Don’t ?? betrayed wife,nothing worse than a womans scorn. | 被抛弃的情妇 被背叛的妻子 再没有比女人的诅咒更糟的了 |
[25:48] | How about two? | 何况两个女人的诅咒呢? |
[25:52] | Ray Takahashi? Haven’t heard that name in 60 years. | Ray Takahashi? 60年没听过这名字了 |
[25:56] | – Well,we’re investigating his murder. – Weren’t you two pretty close? ?? | – 好的 我们正在调查这个案子 – 你们俩不是很亲近吗? |
[25:59] | Acquaintances at best. | 说是熟人最合适 |
[26:02] | That all? Mary Ann? | 仅此而已? Mary Ann? |
[26:05] | – What are you implying? – That you killed him. | – 你什么意思? – 你杀了他 |
[26:08] | When he won’t leave his wife for you. | 他不愿为你而离开他的妻子 |
[26:10] | You think I killed my husband? And I wanted to raise a child on my own? | 你认为是我杀了我丈夫 我愿意独自抚养孩子? |
[26:16] | In that era,better is to be a widow than a divorcee? | 在那个时代 寡妇比离婚名声更好吧? |
[26:20] | Yes. Easy. | 是的 很容易 |
[26:23] | Or first Ray has an affair with a white woman,next he’s | Ray先和白种女人偷情 接着… |
[26:26] | ollying you and the baby around the country to her home town. | 他又把你和孩子带去她的家乡 |
[26:29] | Talk about a slap in the face. I’d be angry. | 就象当面扇你的耳光 要是我一定也会生气 |
[26:33] | I was barely 25,young,fullish… | 我还不到25岁 年轻 愚蠢… |
[26:36] | So you turned to Ray for some desert loving. | 于是你向Ray寻求荒漠中的激情 |
[26:39] | Men like Ray… are rare. Special. | 像Ray这样的男人…很少 很特别 |
[26:45] | What we were doing to them was wrong. | 我们对他们做的是错的 |
[26:49] | – You fell in love. – No. | – 你们陷入了爱河 – 不 我没有 |
[26:53] | We had that one kiss,that’s all. | 我们只吻过一次 仅此而已 |
[26:56] | He said his wife was the only woman he could ever love. | 他说他妻子是他唯一爱的女人 |
[26:59] | Objection on that? Kind of hurt? | 被拒绝了? 有点受伤吧? |
[27:02] | of course I was angry. | 我当然非常恼怒 |
[27:05] | Ray told her I was the only woman he could love. | Ray告诉她 我是他唯一爱的女人 |
[27:08] | – And you believed him? – Ray was a gentleman. | – 而你相信他的话? – Ray是个绅士 |
[27:12] | We never spoke of it again. | 我们再没谈过这事 |
[27:14] | Did his wife find out about it? | 他的妻子发现了吗? |
[27:18] | I didn’t realize my one small indiscretion would destroy his family. | 我没有意识到我的一次轻率行事 竟毁了他的家庭 |
[27:30] | Takahashi. | |
[27:38] | Billy! Billy! | |
[27:40] | – What are you doing? – Joining up. | – 你在做什么? – 参军上战场 |
[27:42] | You’re just going to leave,without saying goodbye,not even to your mother? | 你马上要走了 却不和我们告别 甚至连妈妈也不说? |
[27:45] | – I said goodbye to her. – What about me? | – 我和她说再见了 – 那我呢? |
[27:49] | You? You talk about being american? | 你? 你想讨论美国人吗? |
[27:53] | About liberty and truth? | 关于自由和真理? |
[27:55] | – But you’re the biggets liar here! – What are you talking about? | – 但你是这里最大的说谎者! – 你在说什么? |
[27:59] | You and that school teacher… Everyone knows. | 你和那个学校老师…每个人都知道 |
[28:01] | – You don’t understand. – What? | – 你不明白 – 什么? |
[28:03] | Things aren’t so simple,now? Was that your excuse for mom,too? | 事情没那么简单 对吗? 这也是你对妈妈的借口吗? |
[28:06] | You wanna be a soldier,fine. But do it for the right reasons. This isn’t about me. | 你想当兵 很好 但得为了正当的理由 和我的事无关 |
[28:10] | Sure it is. | 当然 它和你有关 |
[28:12] | It’s about taking a bullet for a Country that’s turned you into a coward, | 去挨子弹 为了这个把你变成懦夫的国家 |
[28:16] | that’s called me a Jap since I can remember. | 自我记事起就被称为小日本 |
[28:20] | – You don’t know what it’s like. – Don’t I? | – 你不知道那种感觉 – 我不知道吗? |
[28:23] | I’ve been called every name in the book, | 他们随便给我按名字 |
[28:26] | treated like dirt,and I had to smile in the face of it, | 被视为垃圾 然而我还得微笑面对 |
[28:29] | but I’ve never let that destroy me,make me run away,like you are now,son. Don’t go. | 但我从不让那些事打垮我 迫我逃跑 就像你现在这样 儿子 不要走 |
[28:36] | Not like this. | 别象现在这样离开 |
[28:40] | Too late. | 太迟了 |
[28:44] | Billy! Billy! | |
[28:47] | You do not walk away from me,damn it! | 你别想从我面前逃开 该死! |
[28:53] | I want… | 我想… |
[28:55] | I want you to… | 我希望你… |
[28:58] | I want… | 我想… |
[29:02] | I want you to come home safe,son. | 我希望你安全回家 儿子 |
[29:07] | Home? | 家? |
[29:09] | I don’t have a home. | 我没有家了 |
[29:12] | Not anymore. | 再也没有了 |
[29:33] | We got the news about Billy a few months later. | 几个月后我们得到了Billy的消息 |
[29:36] | And they never got a chance to make peace? | 他们从没有机会言归于好? |
[29:41] | But I made sure that Ray took me up on the offer of the job and the apartment. | 但我确保Ray接受了我提供的工作和公寓 |
[29:45] | – That was the least I could do. – Because you were the reason Billy enlisted? | – 这是我至少能做到的 – 因为你才是Billy参军的原因 |
[29:50] | You got your apartment because of Mary Ann’s… | 你得到了公寓 因为Mary Ann的… |
[29:53] | – generosity? – If living that hell | – 慷慨? – 如果生活在地狱意味着… |
[29:55] | meant taking advantage of a crush some… silly woman had on my husband,then so be it. | 利用某个傻女人对我丈夫的迷恋 而占便宜 那就这样了 |
[30:01] | Any mother would have done the same. | 任何一个母亲都会这样做 |
[30:03] | For Barbara? | 为了Barbara? |
[30:06] | And for my son. | 还有我的儿子 |
[30:10] | I wanted him to come home to a real home. | 我希望他回到真正的家 |
[30:16] | Not one behind bars. | 不是栅栏后面的那个家 |
[30:19] | But he never got that chance. | 但他永远没有那个机会了 |
[30:23] | And we’ll leave in a big train and you’ll get to feel cool air instead of this… | 我们将坐大火车离开 你会感觉到凉爽的微风 而不是… |
[30:28] | dusty,cold wind. | 灰尘和冷风 |
[30:38] | Trying to be here soon. | 我想尽快到这儿来 |
[30:41] | I stopped by the woodworking hut. | 我去了次木匠摊 |
[30:47] | I’ve been… | 我曾经… |
[30:50] | I’ve been making these for you,to replace what we had. | 我为你做了这些 补偿我们曾拥有的 |
[30:54] | Plus,the next time you’ll get mad at me,they won’t break. | 再说 以后你再对我发火 它们也不会碎 |
[30:59] | I guess it’s time for the back up plan. | 我想是时候实施后备计划了 |
[31:02] | – Don’t give up? – Don’t give up. | – 永不放弃? – 永不放弃 |
[31:06] | On us. | 永不放弃彼此 |
[31:09] | You’re my own life, | 你就是我的生命 |
[31:12] | you’re the only thing that kept me going,here. | 你是我有勇气前行的唯一动力 |
[31:19] | We use ’em in Philadelphia,in our new home,when Billy returns,the four of us. | 我们可以在费城 在我们的新家用这些 当Billy回来时 我们四个在一起 |
[31:27] | The four of us? | 我们四个? |
[31:31] | I like the sound of that. | 我喜欢听到这些 |
[31:35] | It’s time to go. | 到了重新生活的时候了 |
[32:06] | Ray,what is it? | Ray 这是什么? |
[32:19] | Ray? | |
[32:23] | Ray? | |
[32:36] | That’s how they told us our son was dead. | 这就是他们来通知 我们的儿子已经死了的方式 |
[32:41] | In a telegram. | 只发一封电报 (一般为专人递送 后改为牧师同行) |
[32:47] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[32:51] | It breaks my heart that Ray and Billy died angry at each other. | Ray和Billy至死还在生对方的气 这让我心都碎了 |
[32:58] | It broke Ray’s too. | Ray的心也碎了 |
[33:03] | We weren’t the only family that got a telegram that day. | 我们家不是那天收到电报的 唯一一家 |
[33:06] | Shinji’s family got one. | Shinji家也收到了电报 |
[33:13] | Shinji Nakamura? | |
[33:16] | The neighbor who went to Tule Lake? His son was in the Army? | 被送去Tule湖的那个邻居? 他的儿子也在军队? |
[33:20] | One of the first to enlist. | 是第一批参军的 |
[33:22] | Ray… talked him into it. | Ray…说服他去的 |
[33:28] | All right,I got Shinji’s Tule Lake records. | 好 我得到了Shinji在Tule湖的记录 |
[33:31] | – Alibi check up? – No. | – 有不在场证明了? – 不是 |
[33:33] | Shinji wasn’t realesed in 1946 like he said. | Shinji没有像他所说的 在1946年被释放 |
[33:35] | Got out on november 23rd,1945. | 他在1945年11月23号就出来了 |
[33:39] | – A few days before Ray was killed. – Even better. | – Ray被杀的前几天 – 还有更好的消息呢 |
[33:41] | He used a train ticket the government bought him… to head to Philly. | 他用政府给的一张火车票 直奔费城 |
[33:44] | But his wife was in California. | 但他的妻子在加利福尼亚 |
[33:46] | And you don’t travel 3,000 miles just to say hello. | 你不可能仅仅为打声招呼 而长途跋涉3000英里 |
[33:54] | “You have blood on your hands,convincing our boys to fight. This isn’t over.” | “你双手沾满了血 是你让我的儿子 去打仗的 这事没完” |
[33:57] | Wasn’t just any blood Ray had on his hands,it was your son’s. | Ray手上的血不是别人的 正是你儿子的 |
[34:00] | My son would’ve done anything to prove he was american. | 我儿子愿做任何事情 去证明自己是美国人 |
[34:03] | – He got his wish. – But doesn’t change the fact that | – 他如愿以偿了 – 但这无法改变一个事实 |
[34:06] | you were in Philadelphia when Ray was murdered. | Ray被谋杀时 你在费城 |
[34:08] | See? We make our threats too. | 明白了吗? 我们也会威胁人 |
[34:11] | – Checked the record at Tule Lake. – 25 bucks and a ticket to Philly. | – 查过你在Tule湖的记录了 – 25元和一张去费城的火车票 |
[34:19] | – I came here to see Ray,but I didn’t kill him. – Then why lie? | – 我来这是为见Ray 但我没杀他 – 那为什么说谎? |
[34:24] | Frankly? Not a lot of faith in the american justice system. | 坦率说 对美国的司法体系没什么信心 |
[34:28] | Point taken. Doesn’t answer the question. | 明白了 你还没回答问题 |
[34:30] | I came here to give him Billy’s letter. | 我来这里是为了给他Billy的信 |
[34:32] | They were long gone when the letter got to Manzanar. | 这封信到Manzanar时 他们早就离开了 |
[34:35] | – Didn’t realize you two were Bosom Buddies. – We weren’t. | – 我可不知道你俩是铁哥们 – 我们不是 |
[34:38] | But Ray paid the same price I did to this Country. | 但Ray和我都为这个国家付出了 同样的代价 |
[34:43] | A son. | 一个儿子 |
[34:50] | He deserved to have that letter. | 他应该得到那封信 |
[34:53] | – And I had a question to ask him. – What question? | – 我有个问题想问他 – 什么问题? |
[35:00] | How to go on. | 如何才能开始新生活 |
[35:05] | But it was clear,he no longer had any answers for me. | 不过显然 他再也不会回答我了 |
[35:22] | Ray… | |
[35:26] | What are you doing here? | 你在这儿干吗? |
[35:31] | This letter came to Manzanar after you left. My wife wanted to make sure you got it. | 你们走后 这信才寄到Manzanar 我妻子想确保你已经拿到了 |
[35:38] | I don’t want anything from that place. | 我不想要那地方的任何东西 |
[35:42] | It’s from Billy. | 是Billy写的 |
[35:46] | Billy’s gone. | Billy已经死了 |
[35:53] | They’re saying they can’t send my boy’s body home, | 他们说他们无法把我儿子的 遗体送回家 |
[35:56] | for at least another year. | 至少得再等一年 |
[35:59] | Do you know what I’d do for a letter? Anything,from him? | 知道我愿为得到这封信做什么吗? 任何东西 只要是他留下的 |
[36:04] | They already tore it down, | 他们早就毁了一切 |
[36:07] | the camp. | 收容所 |
[36:10] | Like it never existed. | 就像从来不存在 |
[36:14] | My son died for a country that tosses us out seems | 我儿子为祖国捐躯 而它丢弃我们… |
[36:17] | like the kitchen garbage. | 就像扔掉厨房垃圾一样 |
[36:19] | I’m not surprising they don’t remember our boys names. | 我不吃惊他们不记得我儿子的名字 |
[36:31] | They were heroes. | 他们都是英雄 |
[36:33] | And this country should give our boys the medals they deserve. | 这个国家应该给我们的孩子们 他们应得的勋章 |
[36:41] | Can they bring him back to me,Shinji? | 他们能让他起死回生吗 Shinji? |
[36:45] | Can they do that? | 他们能做到吗? |
[37:12] | Shinji,wait! Shinji! | Shinji 等下! Shinji! |
[37:17] | He said he was going to give Billy his medal. | 他说他将去要回Billy的勋章 |
[37:21] | Change his mind,just like that? | 他改变想法了 就那样? |
[37:23] | After he read Billy’s letter… | 是在他读完Billy的信之后… |
[37:26] | That’s why he was ahead at the stadium, | 那就是他去运动场的原因 |
[37:28] | Army-Navy. | 陆军对海军的球赛 |
[37:30] | Ray wasn’t giving up the Distinguish Black Medal that night. | 那晚Ray没有放弃黑色卓越勋章 |
[37:35] | Billy deserved the medal, | Billy应该得到那枚勋章 |
[37:40] | and your son did too. | 你的儿子也应该得到 |
[37:48] | Threw himself on a granade to save his batallion. | 为了救他的战友而置身险境 |
[37:51] | One brave kid. | 一个勇敢的孩子 |
[37:52] | His dad’s last wish was to see him honored for it. | 他父亲最后的愿望就是 看到他为此得到荣誉 |
[37:57] | Isn’t this what we speak for? | 这难道不是我们想说的吗? |
[38:00] | People like Billy… Ray… | 像Billy…Ray…一样的人们 |
[38:05] | are you sure you can walk away from them,boss? | 你确定你能抛弃他们 老板? |
[38:16] | If Ray wanted the son to get that medal,he needed a nomination from his commanding officer | 如果Ray希望儿子得到勋章 他需要得到指挥官的提名 |
[38:21] | Billy’s friend,Skip? | Billy的朋友 Skip? |
[38:24] | He was at the Army-Navy game that night. | 那晚他参加了海陆军比赛 |
[38:30] | France,Italy,South Pacific. | 法国 意大利 南太平洋 |
[38:34] | Two brown stars and a purple heart. | 两枚铜星勋章和一枚紫心勋章 |
[38:39] | You were quite a soldier,Skip. | 你真是个优秀士兵 Skip |
[38:43] | Call me Eugene. | 叫我Eugene |
[38:46] | I served in Vietnam my self. | 我在越南服过役 |
[38:49] | – You hurt more than we did. – War is war,all right? | – 你比我们受到的伤害多 – 战争毕竟是战争 不是吗? |
[38:54] | I had a buddy in there,Manny Hijshoj filippino guy. | 我有个朋友在那里 Manny Hijshoj 菲律宾人 |
[38:59] | There we were fighiting off vietcong and I’m stuck with a guy that look just like the enemy. | 和越共战斗时 我却和那个 长得像敌人样的人粘在一起 |
[39:02] | Were really odds,right? | 真的很奇怪 对吧? |
[39:05] | A soldier is a soldier. | 士兵是士兵 |
[39:07] | Manny prove themeselves to be: he died to save another guy in our unit. | Manny证明了他自己是: 他为救援同袍而战死 |
[39:11] | A hero. | 一个英雄 |
[39:14] | Once we were on patrol we got caught in an ambush. | 有一次 我们在巡逻时遭到了伏击 |
[39:18] | We got tore up pretty bad. | 我们被打的很惨 |
[39:20] | When the smoke cleared,I saw this Gook running towards me. | 当硝烟散去 我看到一个东亚人向我冲来 |
[39:24] | I came this close to kill him. | 我差点杀了他 |
[39:28] | – But he was Manny. – Why are you doing me this? | – 然而他就是Manny – 你为什么告诉我这些 |
[39:32] | Billy was your bestfriend. | Billy是你最好的朋友 |
[39:36] | Yes,he was. | 是的 他是 |
[39:39] | A first-rate guy. | 最好的一个 |
[39:45] | So what happened? | 那发生了什么? |
[39:47] | When he died you were shipped at the South Pacific. | 当他死的时候 你正乘船去南太平洋 |
[39:49] | You saw kamikazes ruin your ships,POW Camps ruin your friends. | 眼看着神风敢死队毁了你的船 战俘收容所杀了你的朋友 |
[39:53] | – I get it Eugene,believe me. – There’s nothing to get. | – 我明白 Eugene 相信我 – 没什么明白不明白的 |
[39:59] | They want you to come back to this world | 他们希望你回到这里 |
[40:02] | and be the same as when you left. | 和你离开时没有任何区别 |
[40:04] | But you are not. | 但你不是 |
[40:06] | Ray Takahashi appealed | Ray Takahashi请求Skip |
[40:08] | to Skip,the boy he knew in California. | 他在加利福尼亚认识的男孩 |
[40:11] | But Skip was gone. | 但是Skip早已消逝 |
[40:21] | Fight for your life every day, | 每天为生存而战 |
[40:26] | yeah,you know they’re out there. | 是的 你知道他们不在那 |
[40:29] | And those faces… hating you. | 而那些脸…他们恨你 |
[40:31] | Faces that look like Billy and like Ray. | 看起来像Billy和Ray一样的脸 |
[40:33] | That’s why they put them in these camps! | 那就是把他们关进收容所的原因! |
[40:38] | They didn’t deserve medals,they were the enemy. | 他们不配得到勋章 他们是敌人 |
[40:56] | Skip! | |
[41:04] | Go on,catch up with the rest later. | 走吧 赶去和别人玩 |
[41:12] | I need to talk to you. | 我需要跟你谈一下 |
[41:13] | I can’t… shipping back out tomorrow. | 我不能…明天就要乘船回去 |
[41:18] | It’s about Billy. He deserves the Distinguish Black Medal. | 黑色卓越勋章 |
[41:21] | Those medals are for american heroes. | 那些勋章是为美国英雄而设的 |
[41:24] | It’s what he was,you know it. | 他就是那种英雄 你知道的 |
[41:26] | Billy sacrificed him self to save others. | Billy为救战友而牺牲了自己 |
[41:28] | So what you people do,isn’t it? | 你们这些人做了什么 嗯? |
[41:31] | Kamikazes,suicide mission, | 神风敢死队 自杀战术 |
[41:33] | – Skip… – Kill yourselves, | – 杀死自己… |
[41:34] | and take good innocent people with you. | 让无辜的人陪着死 |
[41:37] | A Jap is a Jap. | 小日本就是小日本 |
[41:41] | What happened to you over there? | 你在那里发生什么事了? |
[41:44] | Why send this letter if he didn’t care about us anymore? | 如果他再也不关心我们 干嘛要发这封信? |
[41:47] | Read this,read this and tell me it’s a lie. | 看看这封信 看看它 告诉我这是个谎言 |
[41:51] | Stop! | 住口! |
[41:53] | – Tell me those boys weren’t heroes. – Stop! | – 告诉我那些孩子不是英雄 – 住口! |
[41:54] | – And Billy doesn’t deserve that medal. – Go home,Jap! | – Billy不配得到那枚勋章 – 回老家去 小日本! |
[41:58] | I am home. My boy was more american than you’ll ever be. | 我已经在家了 我儿子比你更像美国人 |
[42:23] | Dear dad, | 亲爱的爸爸 |
[42:28] | it’s the night before we go in the battle,and i can’t sleep. | 这是我们奔赴战场的前一夜 我失眠了 |
[42:35] | Even in my dreams I hear the artillery and I’m so afraid. | 甚至做梦时 我都能听到炮声 我怕极了 |
[42:44] | When I need to be brave, | 当我需要勇气的时候 |
[42:46] | I think of you,dad. | 我就想到了你 爸爸 |
[42:50] | And your strenght in the world that’s no longer simple. | 你在世界上的力量将不再微薄 |
[42:57] | Sometimes I dream I’m home again, | 有时我梦到我又回家了 |
[43:00] | drawing pictures of you, mom and little Barbara. | 为你 妈妈和小Barbara画画 |
[43:06] | And none of us behind bars, | 再没有人被关在栅栏后 |
[43:10] | because in my dreams we are free. | 因为在我的梦中 我们是自由的 |
[43:19] | I know now that’s why I’m here: | 现在我知道我为什么在这了 |
[43:23] | it’s not about who I’m fighting against but who I’m fighting for: | 不在于我和谁作战 而在于我为谁而战 |
[43:30] | you dad. | 为了你 爸爸 |
[43:34] | I want your dream’s America could be. | 我希望你的美国梦能够实现 |
[43:38] | Should be. | 它应该实现 |
[43:41] | I see all of us in this battle field, | 我看到了我们都在战场上 |
[43:45] | white,black,brown,yellow… | 白人 黑人 棕色皮肤 黄色皮肤 |
[43:48] | and that’s the America I know. | 而这才是美国 我知道 |
[43:53] | Maybe one day I’ll see you there,dad. | 也许有一天我会在那见到你 爸爸 |
[44:04] | Love, | 爱你的 |
[44:05] | your son,Billy. |