时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | mark my words, Lawrence, if these | 记住我的话 劳伦斯 |
[00:09] | teetotalers get their way, | 如果禁酒主义者得逞了 |
[00:11] | prohibition will be enacted. | 禁酒令一定会颁布 |
[00:13] | It’ll never happen, sir. | 不会的 先生 |
[00:14] | You can actually make your own record, Frances. | 你可以自己录唱片了 弗兰西斯 |
[00:17] | In shellac, right, mother? | 用虫胶唱片吗 母亲 |
[00:18] | And play it on your own gramophone. | 可以用自家的留声机放 |
[00:20] | – Isn’t that thrilling? – Fascinating. | -好兴奋啊 -确实如此 |
[00:21] | A man’s libation is sacred, worth going to war over. | 男人喝酒的权利是神圣的 值得为之而战 |
[00:25] | The war to end all wars wasn’t enough for you, father? | 为和平而战的战争还不够吗 父亲 |
[00:28] | Elizabeth, please restrain our young filly from eavesdropping. | 伊丽莎白 管管我们这爱接话的丫头 |
[00:31] | I’m 18, father, hardly a filly. | 我18岁了 父亲 不再是小丫头了 |
[00:34] | Lawrence, I don’t know how | 劳伦斯 真不知道 |
[00:35] | you tolerate Frances’s behavior the way you do. | 你是怎么能忍受弗兰西斯的这种言行 |
[00:37] | I find her spirit refreshing, | 我爱她神清气爽 |
[00:39] | if somewhat droll. | 虽然有点古怪 |
[00:40] | And I find being spoken about | 我觉得无视我的存在 |
[00:42] | as if I weren’t present somewhat irksome. | 当面这样评价我有些无礼 |
[00:43] | That is quite enough out of you. | 你不要太过分了 |
[00:49] | Mary Pickford’s got a new picture out. | 玛丽·碧克馥[奥斯卡影后]又出演新片了 |
[00:51] | Should we all go? | 一起去看看吧 |
[00:52] | You two go. | 你俩去吧 |
[00:53] | I’ve had my fill of female histrionics for one day. | 女人装腔作势我今天已经看够了 |
[01:00] | Don’t frown, dear. | 别皱眉 亲爱的 |
[01:01] | It makes you look so dour. | 显得一脸阴郁 |
[01:04] | Votes for women. | 支持女性投票权 |
[01:06] | Ratify the 19th amendment so women can vote! | 通过第十九修正案 为女性带来投票权 |
[01:08] | Speak of the devil. | 说什么来什么 |
[01:09] | Teetotalers themselves. | 好一群禁酒主义者 |
[01:10] | Votes for women! | 支持女性投票权 |
[01:13] | Ratify the 19th amendment | 通过第十九修正案 |
[01:14] | so women can vote all across our great land. | 为伟大祖国的所有女性带来投票权 |
[01:17] | Votes for women. | 支持女性投票权 |
[01:19] | Votes for women. | 支持女性投票权 |
[01:27] | here we go again. | 又来了 |
[01:28] | A woman’s place is in the kitchen! | 女人就应该乖乖待在厨房里 |
[01:30] | Not rabble-rousing in the street! | 而不是跑到街上煽动闹事 |
[01:32] | You are the rabble-rousers. | 是你在闹事吧 |
[01:35] | What on earth are you doing? | 你知道自己在做什么吗 |
[01:37] | They’re awfully brave. | 她们好勇敢 |
[01:39] | They’re an awful nuisance is what they are. | 她们是一群可怕的是非之人 |
[02:19] | 公共安全部警察局 刑侦局 1919年6月22日 费城 发报人 第33警区 姓名 弗兰西斯·斯通 | |
[02:22] | 公共安全部警察局 刑侦局 1919年6月22日 费城 发报人 第33警区 姓名 弗兰西斯·斯通 事件 谋杀 | |
[02:33] | Are you detective rush? | 你是拉什探员吗 |
[02:35] | – Yes. And you are? – Emma Stone. | -正是 请问你是 -艾玛·斯通 |
[02:38] | My women’s studies professor mentioned you in a lecture. | 我的妇女研究课导师在她的课上讲到过你 |
[02:41] | Really? | 真的啊 |
[02:43] | Yeah, she tracks women in | 她关注那些从事 |
[02:44] | traditionally male-dominated professions. | 一般以男性为主的行业的女性 |
[02:46] | Says you’re the only female homicide detective in philly. | 说你是费城警方凶案组里唯一的女性警探 |
[02:50] | Well, there are two of us now, actually. | 不过现在有两个了 |
[02:53] | em…My great-great aunt Frances Stone was murdered. | 我的曾曾姑妈弗兰西斯·斯通被谋杀了 |
[02:57] | – Great-great? – 1919. | -两个曾吗 -在1919年 |
[03:00] | She was thrown off the second | 她从我曾曾祖父别墅的 |
[03:01] | story landing of my great-great grandfather’s house. | 二楼走廊上被人推下来摔死了 |
[03:05] | Old money: Grand houses and the families | 世家:世纪之交的费城 |
[03:08] | who lived in them in turn-of-the-century philadelphia. | 那些宏伟的别墅和业主家族 |
[03:10] | My grandmother’s favorite book. | 这是我祖母最喜欢看的书 |
[03:12] | The earmarked pages are about my family. | 折角的页都与我们家族有关 |
[03:15] | Now that’s what I call a house. | 这才称得上别墅嘛 |
[03:17] | It’s all gone now. The house, the money. | 现在都不复存在了 别墅啊财产啊 |
[03:20] | The suspects. | 嫌疑人啊 |
[03:22] | My grammy Stone gave this to me before she died last week. | 斯通祖母上周去世前给了我这个 |
[03:28] | His name was Lawrence Wakelee. | 他叫劳伦斯·维克利 |
[03:31] | He was Frances’s fiance. | 是弗兰西斯的未婚夫 |
[03:33] | And that’s Frances? | 那这个就是弗兰西斯 |
[03:36] | She’s beautiful. | 她真漂亮 |
[03:37] | They broke off the engagement just before she was killed. | 她被杀前 他们刚刚解除了婚约 |
[03:40] | – Grammy Stone say anything else? – No. | -你祖母还说别的了吗 -没了 |
[03:43] | but I found this hidden inside the locket. | 不过我在吊坠的夹层里发现了这个 |
[03:48] | I think it’s a love letter. | 应该是封情书吧 |
[03:52] | “My dearest Phil, | 亲爱的菲尔 |
[03:54] | “if our secret passion’s revealed, | 如果我们的秘密被人发现 |
[03:55] | “our lives would be in great danger. | 我们的生命会面临很大危险 |
[03:58] | “We must proceed with caution. | 所以我们一定要小心行事 |
[04:00] | Yours as ever, Frances.” | 爱你的 弗兰西斯 |
[04:04] | So Franny was stepping out. | 看来弗兰妮变心了 |
[04:06] | And maybe the fiance found out, killed her? | 也许她未婚夫发现了此事 因此杀人 |
[04:09] | So you’ll look into it? | 那你们会调查吗 |
[04:11] | Solving this case isn’t gonna bring back the good old days. | 过去这么久了 查出来也于事无补啊 |
[04:14] | Frances’s murder haunted my grammy Stone. | 弗兰西斯被杀的事一直困扰着我祖母 |
[04:17] | She was as close to a mother as I ever had. | 她一直把我当亲生女儿看待 |
[04:19] | So you’re doing this for her? | 所以你是要为她查明真相 |
[04:23] | Be our coldest job yet. | 这是我们最冷的悬案吧 |
[04:24] | Record breaker. | 创纪录了 |
[04:25] | So, what are we waiting for? | 那还等什么呢 |
[04:29] | Let’s break out the ice picks. | 我们来解冻历史吧 |
[05:10] | On June 23, 1919. | 1919年6月23日 |
[05:13] | Frances May Stone died of injuries | 弗兰西斯·梅·斯通 |
[05:15] | caused by a fall from the second story of their house. | 从自家二楼坠落身亡 |
[05:18] | Broke her neck. | 摔断了脖子 |
[05:19] | Scratches on the forearms, defensive wounds. | 前臂上有抓痕 由反抗造成 |
[05:22] | Means Frances put up a fight. | 说明弗兰西斯死前曾跟人打斗 |
[05:24] | Family wasn’t home. No witnesses, no leads. | 家人都不在 没有目击者 没有线索 |
[05:28] | Pretty thin. | 报告没几页 |
[05:29] | The Stones were rich. | 斯通家族很有钱 |
[05:30] | Father owned one of the largest breweries in Philly. | 当时费城最大的啤酒厂就是她父亲的 |
[05:33] | You’d think there’d be a big investigation. | 那这案件应该很受重视 |
[05:35] | Unless the family didn’t want a scandal. | 除非家族想避免丑闻 |
[05:37] | Keep their names out of the press. | 所以不让媒体披露 |
[05:40] | So what do we got on our potential doer Lawrence Wakelee? | 关于嫌疑人劳伦斯·维克利有什么信息 |
[05:43] | Just the locket, the note. | 只有那个吊坠 字条 |
[05:45] | And these gossip columns | 还有当时的专案组 |
[05:47] | the old hat squad had in their investigation. | 在调查中找到的一些花边新闻 |
[05:51] | “The setting could not have been more perfect for the engagement | 劳伦斯·维克利先生和弗兰西斯·斯通小姐的 |
[05:54] | of Mr. Lawrence Wakelee to miss Frances Stone… | 订婚典礼可以说是完美无缺 |
[06:03] | I had this made for you. | 这是我为你定制的 |
[06:08] | Who is this handsome devil? I’d like to meet him. | 这个英俊的家伙是谁 真想认识他 |
[06:12] | Don’t joke, Frances. | 别说笑了 弗兰西斯 |
[06:14] | I’m sorry. I’ll treasure it. Thank you. | 抱歉 我会好好珍藏的 谢谢 |
[06:17] | I had something else made for you, as well. | 我还给你订做了另一样东西 |
[06:23] | Will you marry me, Frances Stone? | 你愿意嫁给我吗 弗兰西斯·斯通 |
[06:26] | Oh, Lawrence, I don’t know what to say. | 劳伦斯 我不知道该说什么好 |
[06:28] | I do. Because our life is gonna be grand. | 说你愿意 我们会过得很幸福的 |
[06:32] | I know just the house we’ll live in, that you’ll run, | 我已经设想好了你将来要操持的我们的家 |
[06:33] | and just the number of children we’ll have and… | 还有我们要生几个孩子 |
[06:35] | But I don’t know if I even want to run a house or have children. | 可是我还不知道我是不是想持家生孩子 |
[06:38] | Frances… | 弗兰西斯 |
[06:40] | What kind of talk is that? | 你在说什么 |
[06:41] | I was accepted at Vassar, you know. | 我被瓦萨大学录取了 |
[06:44] | But you’ve already found a husband. | 但你已经找好丈夫了 |
[06:46] | Is that all you think college is for? | 你觉得上大学就是为了这个吗 |
[06:47] | I know you love your books, Frances. | 我知道你爱看书 弗兰西斯 |
[06:49] | I want to do more than read, Lawrence. | 我想做的不仅仅是看书 劳伦斯 |
[06:52] | I want to experience life firsthand. | 我想亲身体验生活 |
[06:55] | I want to see the world, maybe write about it. | 想看看这世界 甚至写作 |
[06:58] | Your father already gave his blessing to our marriage. | 你父亲已经同意我们结婚了 |
[07:03] | So what I want is really beside the point, anyway, isn’t it? | 那么我怎么想根本不重要 是吗 |
[07:06] | Frances, this should be the happiest day of your life. | 弗兰西斯 这该是你一生最快乐的日子 |
[07:10] | I mean, I am quite a catch, as they say. | 我是公认的条件不错啊 |
[07:12] | I know you are, Lawrence. | 我知道你条件好 劳伦斯 |
[07:14] | Excuse me, ma’am, sir. | 打扰了 小姐 先生 |
[07:17] | Both your parents were wondering | 你们双方父母都想知道 |
[07:18] | if there was any news you’d like to convey. | 你们是否有什么好消息要宣布 |
[07:24] | Well, Frances, is there? | 弗兰西斯 我们有吗 |
[07:30] | Yes, there is. | 是的 |
[07:34] | Tell them I have accepted the proposal of Mr. Wakelee. | 告诉他们我已经接受了维克利先生的求婚 |
[07:38] | Oh, Frances, you are going to be so happy. | 弗兰西斯 你一定会很幸福的 |
[07:41] | I know you are. | 我知道你会的 |
[07:47] | Mr.Wakelee, Miss Stone. | 维克利先生 斯通小姐 |
[07:57] | The woman with the black eye, here in the corner… | 边上这个黑眼框的女人 |
[08:00] | Her name is listed as Philippa Abruzzi, | 这里说她的名字叫菲利帕·阿布鲁齐 |
[08:04] | housemaid. | 是个女佣 |
[08:07] | Philippa. | 菲利帕 |
[08:08] | Phil. | 菲尔 |
[08:10] | Rush.Uh-huh. | 我是拉什 |
[08:11] | That’s who Frances’s love note was addressed to. | 弗兰西斯的情书就是写给她的 |
[08:15] | No wonder she was so afraid of their secret passion being revealed. | 怪不得她这么怕她们的秘密被发现 |
[08:19] | Okay, thanks. | 好 谢谢 |
[08:22] | Sorry, Boss. | 对不起 头儿 |
[08:23] | Got to make a run. I’ll be back. | 我出去一下 很快回来 |
[08:45] | Get up, Mom. | 起来 妈妈 |
[08:47] | Lilly. Em.. What..What are you doing here? | 莉莉 你怎么会在这儿 |
[08:50] | I could ask you the same thing, but I won’t. | 这话应该我问你 不过我懒得问了 |
[08:54] | Thank you for coming. Now go away. | 谢谢你能来 不过你可以走了 |
[09:01] | I don’t want you to see me like this. | 我不想让你看见我这样 |
[09:04] | Like it would be a first. | 我也不是第一次见了 |
[09:12] | Jackie left me. | 杰克离开我了 |
[09:16] | When? | 什么时候 |
[09:18] | I haven’t heard from him in five months. | 他已经五个月没跟我联系了 |
[09:22] | Is that why you haven’t returned my calls? | 所以你才没回我电话吗 |
[09:26] | Call? | 什么电话 |
[09:29] | Let’s go, Mom. | 走吧 妈妈 |
[09:32] | – Squad car’s gonna take you home. – You can’t? | -警车会送你回去的 -你不送吗 |
[09:36] | No, Mom. | 不 妈妈 |
[09:37] | Oh, right. Your precious j-o-b. | 对了 你的工作要紧 |
[09:50] | I’ll come by the apartment later. | 我晚点去公寓看你 |
[09:53] | Don’t bother. | 随你便 |
[10:07] | We could’ve come to see you, Audrey. | 我们可以过去见你的 奥黛丽 |
[10:09] | Oh, and miss the chance to get out of old folks’ calisthenics? | 我可不想错过这个翘掉老年健美操的机会 |
[10:13] | Oh, please. | 说真的 |
[10:15] | You’re doing me a favor. | 你们可是帮了我大忙了 |
[10:17] | Looks like you’ve been doing calisthenics. | 你看起来应该经常跳健美操吧 |
[10:21] | We’d like to ask you some questions about your mother, Philippa. | 我们想问一下关于你母亲菲利帕的事 |
[10:24] | She worked for the Stone Family? | 她曾经在斯通家工作 是吗 |
[10:26] | Oh, for ten years. | 是啊 工作了十年 |
[10:28] | Can you tell us about her relationship with Frances Stone? | 你能告诉我们她和弗兰西斯·斯通的关系吗 |
[10:31] | Oh, sure. I grew up in that house | 当然 我是在他们家长大的 |
[10:33] | till the Stones went broke on account of prohibition, | 直到斯通家因为禁酒令而破产 |
[10:36] | and they had to fire everyone. | 他们不得不解雇了所有人 |
[10:39] | Your mom and Frances were close? | 你母亲和弗兰西斯关系很亲密吧 |
[10:40] | Oh, like sisters. | 是啊 就跟姐妹一样 |
[10:43] | Frances was a natural born teacher. | 弗兰西斯是个天生的好老师 |
[10:45] | Taught my mom to read. | 她教我母亲读书 |
[10:47] | Unusual for the time, | 在那个年代 |
[10:49] | women from different classes getting close. | 不同阶层的女性如此亲近可不多见 |
[10:51] | Oh, very. | 非常少见 |
[10:54] | But Frances was a modern girl for her day. | 但弗兰西斯在当时是个现代女性 |
[10:57] | Very progressive. | 思想很进步 |
[11:01] | Any chance they were… | 有没有可能她们的关系 |
[11:03] | closer than sisters? | 比姐妹还亲近 |
[11:06] | Like lovers? | 比如恋人 |
[11:09] | Hmm, men love to think that, don’t they? | 男人就喜欢往这方面想 是吧 |
[11:12] | We found what appears to be a love letter | 我们找到了一封看似是情书的信 |
[11:15] | from Frances to your mother. | 是弗兰西斯写给你母亲的 |
[11:18] | Very sorry to disappoint you, but no, they weren’t. | 抱歉让你失望了 但她们不是恋人 |
[11:21] | Although sometimes I wish they had been. | 不过有时候我倒希望她们是 |
[11:24] | My mother had terrible taste in men. | 我母亲挑男人的眼光太糟了 |
[11:28] | Anyone you can think of, | 你觉得会不会有人 |
[11:30] | maybe get the wrong idea about your mom and Frances? | 误会了你母亲和弗兰西斯的关系 |
[11:34] | All I know is | 我只知道 |
[11:37] | my mother and Frances | 我母亲和弗兰西斯 |
[11:40] | did have a secret, | 确实有一个秘密 |
[11:42] | but it wasn’t sexual. | 但是和爱情无关 |
[11:53] | Hi, Aunt Franny. | 你好 弗兰妮阿姨 |
[11:55] | Hello, Audrey. | 你好 奥黛丽 |
[11:56] | Will you read me a story later? | 你一会儿可以给我读个故事吗 |
[11:58] | Yes, but I need to talk to your mother right now. | 好的 但现在我要和你妈妈谈些事 |
[12:01] | About her black eye? My dad gave it to her. | 关于她的黑眼圈吗 是我爸弄的 |
[12:03] | Audrey… | 奥黛丽 |
[12:05] | go upstairs. | 上楼去 |
[12:11] | Is that true, Phil? He hit you? | 是真的吗 菲尔 他打你了 |
[12:14] | It’s your fault. You never should have taught me to read. | 都是因为你 你不该教我读书的 |
[12:17] | He hit you for reading? | 他因为你看书打你 |
[12:20] | For reading this. | 是因为看了这个 |
[12:23] | He hates suffragettes. | 他讨厌妇女参政运动者 |
[12:25] | – He should be arrested. – For hitting his wife? | -他应该被抓起来 -因为打老婆吗 |
[12:27] | They’d have to arrest half the men in philadelphia. | 那费城一半的男人都要被抓了 |
[12:31] | I saw them passing these out getting pelted. | 我看见她们因为发传单被人扔东西 |
[12:33] | – I like how they don’t back down. – Me, too. | -我喜欢她们的坚韧不屈 -我也是 |
[12:37] | There’s a meeting tomorrow night. | 明晚有个聚会 |
[12:38] | If my husband caught me at a suffragette meeting… | 如果我丈夫发现我参加妇女参政运动聚会… |
[12:40] | If your husband came to a meeting, they’d string him up. | 如果你丈夫出现在聚会上 他会被绑起来 |
[12:43] | Now that’s a sight I’d like to see. | 我倒是想看看那场面 |
[12:46] | Just think if we could vote, Phil. | 想想我们如果可以投票有多好啊 菲尔 |
[12:48] | Men would have to listen to us. | 男人就必须听取我们的意见 |
[12:50] | Treat us like equals. | 跟我们平起平坐 |
[12:51] | Now that’s a sight I’d like to see. | 这才是我想看到的场面呢 |
[12:53] | My father treating me as something other than his little filly. | 我父亲终于不把我当做他的小母马 |
[12:56] | We could pass laws punishing men who beat their wives. | 我们可以通过法律 惩罚殴打妻子男人 |
[12:59] | And Audrey, she could become a lawyer… | 奥黛丽可以去当律师 |
[13:02] | send those jackasses to jail. | 把那些混蛋送进监狱 |
[13:07] | It hurts to even think about. | 光想想都觉得疼啊 |
[13:10] | It hurts not to. | 不敢想才会痛苦 |
[13:19] | So their secret passion was political? | 那么她们秘密是参与政治 |
[13:23] | They were suffragettes. | 她们是妇女参政运动者 |
[13:26] | Opens up a whole new suspect pool. | 这可新增了一大群嫌疑人 |
[13:29] | Like all the men who were opposed to women getting the vote. | 例如那些反对女人获得投票权的男人 |
[13:32] | Like Frances’s father. | 例如弗兰西斯的父亲 |
[13:34] | Why’s that? | 为什么 |
[13:36] | Because he knew that women were the driving force behind prohibition. | 因为他知道女人是推动禁酒令的中坚力量 |
[13:42] | And prohibition is what ruined him. | 而毁掉他的正是禁酒令 |
[13:59] | Grandma Stone didn’t like to toss much. | 她祖母真是不爱扔东西 |
[14:02] | You really think Frances’s father | 你真认为弗兰西斯的父亲 |
[14:03] | might have killed his own daughter? | 会杀害自己的亲生女儿吗 |
[14:05] | Well, if he thought she was betraying him, sure. | 如果他觉得被她出卖了 那就有可能 |
[14:08] | Seen murders happen for a lot less. | 还有很多动机更简单的凶案 |
[14:11] | Check this out… Sophie Tucker. | 看看这个 苏菲·塔克 |
[14:15] | She was Elizabeth’s favorite. | 伊丽莎白最喜欢她了 |
[14:19] | Ipod of 1919. | 1919年的音乐播放器 |
[14:23] | I think I found something. | 我好像发现了什么 |
[14:26] | What? | 什么 |
[14:28] | Frances’s diary. | 弗兰西斯的日记 |
[14:33] | “June 14, 1919. | 1919年 6月14日 |
[14:36] | “I should be overjoyed at Lawrence’s proposal, | 我应该因为劳伦斯的求婚而兴奋 |
[14:38] | but all I can think about is mother reading to me as a girl. | 但我满脑子都是小时候母亲给我读书的样子 |
[14:42] | How excited she was by the words, | 那些文字和书中描述的地方 |
[14:44] | the places described. | 给她带来的兴奋 |
[14:46] | and how she is now… | 还有她现在的样子 |
[14:49] | needlepointing her life away.” | 在针织线绣中老去 |
[14:52] | Sounds like Franny wanted more. | 看来弗兰妮对生活有更多期望 |
[14:56] | June 15, the last entry. | 6月15日 最后一段 |
[14:59] | Anything about her father? | 有写她父亲吗 |
[15:00] | No, her first suffragette meeting. | 没有 是她初次参加妇女参政运动聚会 |
[15:04] | “I felt like alice in wonderland entering that house | 进入房间时就像是爱丽丝进入了仙境 |
[15:07] | through the looking glass, and peering into my very own future, | 透过窥镜窥视着我自己的未来 |
[15:11] | one where my ideas were appreciated, not patronized, | 我的想法会得到重视 而非打压 |
[15:15] | by a woman unlike any I had ever met before. | 重视我的 是位与众不同的女性 |
[15:23] | Half the legislators are in favor of ratification. | 一半的立法者持赞同意见 |
[15:27] | And half are against, with less than a dozen undecided. | 有一半反对 还有少数摇摆不定 |
[15:30] | And the vote is in less than two weeks. | 投票就剩不到两周了 |
[15:33] | So the question is how to best | 所以关键在于怎样 |
[15:35] | influence those undecideds to our way of thinking. | 让那些摇摆不定者站到我们这边 |
[15:39] | – What do you think? – Me? | -你怎么想 -我 |
[15:41] | Yes, you. | 没错 你 |
[15:44] | Well, I just came to listen, really. | 其实我就是来旁听的 |
[15:45] | You haven’t had enough of listening to men decide our future? | 你还没受够听从男人决定我们的未来吗 |
[15:49] | I… | 我… |
[15:51] | what was the question? | 问题是什么来着 |
[15:53] | How to get the undecided men in the Pennsylvania legislature | 怎样让宾州立法机关那些举棋不定的男人 |
[15:57] | to ratify the 19th amendment. | 通过第十九修正案 |
[16:01] | Well, maybe, I… | 或许… |
[16:02] | I think we could picket their houses. | 我们可以去他们门前示威 |
[16:04] | Let them know we know who they are. | 让他们知道我们认识他们 |
[16:08] | That’s very good, | 很好的想法 |
[16:10] | Miss…? | 你是… |
[16:12] | Stone. | 斯通 |
[16:13] | Frances Stone. | 弗兰西斯·斯通 |
[16:15] | And this is Philippa Abruzzi. | 这位是菲利帕·阿布鲁齐 |
[16:18] | and why are you here, Frances? | 你为什么来这里 弗兰西斯 |
[16:20] | I saw you on the street, standing up to those men. | 我看到你在街上直面那些男人 |
[16:23] | Fearless… I want to be like that. | 毫不畏惧 我也想那样 |
[16:25] | A suffragette has to be tough, Frances. | 妇女参政运动者必须坚强 弗兰西斯 |
[16:27] | Tough enough to withstand shouts, | 要能承受谩骂 |
[16:30] | and projectiles and even fists. | 扔来的东西 甚至是拳头 |
[16:32] | – Are you ready for that? – I’d like to think I am. | -你准备好面对这些了吗 -希望是的 |
[16:36] | Pardon me, | 打扰下 |
[16:38] | ladies. | 女士们 |
[16:40] | Frances, come along. | 弗兰西斯 跟我走 |
[16:42] | – But, mother. – Now! | -但是 母亲 -马上 |
[16:45] | And you… | 而你 |
[16:46] | I dragged her here, mother. | 是我拽她来的 母亲 |
[16:49] | No one just barges into my home uninvited. | 没有人可以未经邀请就冲进我家 |
[16:52] | You, and your kind, | 你和你那群人 |
[16:54] | will leave my daughter out of your sordid affairs. | 不要把我女儿牵扯到你们肮脏的勾当里 |
[16:56] | I came on my own accord,mother. | 我是自愿来的 母亲 |
[16:58] | And you will leave on your own accord as well. | 那你也要自愿离开 |
[17:01] | And if I refuse? | 如果我不愿意呢 |
[17:03] | Someone will be looking for a new job. | 那某些人就得另谋高就了 |
[17:13] | Good day… | 再见 |
[17:15] | ladies. | 女士们 |
[17:17] | We’re not ladies, lady. | 我们不是女士 女士 |
[17:20] | We’re suffragettes. | 我们是妇女参政运动者 |
[17:28] | This little rebellion of yours ends now, Frances. | 你的叛逆就到此为止吧 弗兰西斯 |
[17:31] | Or else. | 否则后果自负 |
[17:40] | Diary ends there. | 日记到这里就结束了 |
[17:42] | I had no idea there was a civil war going on in my family. | 我完全不知道我的家族有过这样一场内战 |
[17:46] | So it wasn’t the dad that had it out for her. | 看来阻止她的并不是她父亲 |
[17:49] | It was mother against daughter. | 这是一场母女之间的矛盾 |
[17:51] | And Elizabeth wasn’t the backing down type. | 伊丽莎白不是那种会让步的人 |
[17:56] | You mind if we take this with us? | 你介意我们把这个带走吗 |
[18:08] | My grandmother used to needlepoint these. | 我祖母以前绣过这些 |
[18:10] | Domestic angels. | 居家天使 |
[18:12] | What’s a “Domestic angel”? | 居家天使是什么 |
[18:14] | Perfect woman, or what they thought was one back then. | 完美的女性 至少当时的看法如此 |
[18:18] | See any that look like me? Single,working moms? | 有像我这样的吗 上班的单身母亲 |
[18:22] | A meeting of the Philadelphia Chapter of the | 妇女选举权协会费城分会 |
[18:23] | Woman’s Suffrage Association will take place on June 15 | 将于6月15日在分会主席 |
[18:28] | at the home of chapter president Alice B.Harris. | 爱丽丝·B·哈里斯家中召开一次会议 |
[18:31] | That’s the same meeting Elizabeth Stone | 就是那次会上伊丽莎白·斯通 |
[18:32] | dragged Frances out of. | 把弗兰西斯拽了出来 |
[18:35] | There are notes on the back, handwritten. | 后面有手写的笔记 |
[18:38] | Frances’s? | 弗兰西斯写的吗 |
[18:39] | “A woman’s first obligation is to maintain domestic harmony.” | 女人的第一职责是维持家庭和睦 |
[18:43] | Sounds more like Elizabeth. | 听起来更像是伊丽莎白写的 |
[18:45] | Like she was preparing to give Frances a lecture. | 像是她打算教训一下弗兰西斯 |
[18:47] | Yeah, and these are her talking points. | 没错 这些就是她的论据 |
[18:57] | I cannot believe you dragged me out of that meeting. | 真不敢相信你就那么把我拽出会场 |
[19:01] | How did you even know I was there? | 你怎么知道我在那里的 |
[19:09] | Did you go in my room? Search through my things? | 你进了我的房间 翻遍了我的东西吗 |
[19:12] | Lawrence told me you’re | 劳伦斯告诉我 |
[19:13] | having second thoughts about the engagement. | 你对订婚有顾虑 |
[19:16] | What is happening to you, Frances? | 你是怎么了 弗兰西斯 |
[19:19] | Why should men have the right to vote and we shouldn’t? | 凭什么男人有投票权而我们没有 |
[19:22] | Because politics is a dirty business full of dirty men. | 因为政治是卑鄙的男人做的卑鄙勾当 |
[19:27] | And we need to keep our hands clean, is that it? | 所以我们该洁身自好 是吗 |
[19:31] | We have a responsibility to remain above the fray. | 我们有责任不参与到冲突之中 |
[19:36] | Phil’s husband beats her, do you know that? | 菲尔的丈夫打她 这你知道吗 |
[19:39] | That’s their business. | 那是他们的家事 |
[19:41] | And there is nothing she can do about it | 而她对此无能为力 |
[19:43] | because she doesn’t have any rights. | 因为她没有任何权利 |
[19:47] | And what about you, mother? | 那你呢 母亲 |
[19:49] | Needlepointing all night while father’s out doing god knows what. | 父亲在外面鬼混 你就只能整晚刺绣 |
[19:52] | Your father has a business to run. | 你父亲要经营生意 |
[19:54] | And you have what, a household? | 那你呢 要操持家事吗 |
[19:57] | Is that really all you want? | 你真的就想要这些吗 |
[20:01] | Why do you try and hide how smart you are? | 你为什么要隐藏自己的聪明才智 |
[20:06] | It’s like you’re ashamed of it. | 就像你对此感到羞耻似的 |
[20:08] | On the contrary, I’m proud of who I am. | 正相反 我对我的样子十分自豪 |
[20:10] | Of this family. | 还有这个家庭 |
[20:12] | Of your father’s accomplishments. | 和你父亲的成就都让我自豪 |
[20:17] | If women get the vote, | 如果妇女得到投票权 |
[20:21] | Prohibition will be enacted and this family will be ruined. | 禁酒令就将实施 这会毁掉这个家庭 |
[20:25] | Is that what you want? | 这就是你想要的吗 |
[20:28] | I want to accomplish something on my own. | 我想要自己有所成就 |
[20:31] | And what about my accomplishments? | 那我的成就呢 |
[20:33] | I’ve dedicated my life to this family, | 我把毕生精力奉献给这个家庭 |
[20:36] | to who and what we are. | 奉献给我们的地位身份 |
[20:38] | I won’t survive our ruination. | 我无法承受这一切被毁掉 |
[20:45] | But you can save us. | 但你可以挽救这个家庭 |
[20:49] | You know what they’re up to. | 你知道那些人在谋划什么 |
[20:53] | You want me to spy on them? | 你想让我监视他们吗 |
[20:55] | A woman’s lot in life is hard, Frances. | 女人的命运是艰难的 弗兰西斯 |
[20:58] | Her choices few. | 选择十分有限 |
[21:02] | Please, mother, don’t ask this of me. | 求你了 母亲 不要让我这样做 |
[21:04] | The sooner you accept the truth, | 你越早接受现实 |
[21:07] | the better off you’ll be. | 对你越好 |
[21:13] | Now that’s a mom who knows how to lay down a guilt trip. | 这当妈的真会让女儿觉得内疚啊 |
[21:16] | And if Frances caved, | 如果弗兰西斯屈从了 |
[21:17] | betrayed the suffragettes like her mom wanted… | 如母亲所愿背叛了那些妇女参政运动者 |
[21:19] | Suffragettes become the suspects. | 那些妇女参政运动者就变成了嫌疑人 |
[21:22] | ‘Cause those women weren’t fooling around. | 因为那些女人可不是闹着玩的 |
[21:24] | Especially not with a Benedict Arnold in their midst. | 尤其当她们中出现了一个叛徒 |
[21:36] | Mom. | 妈 |
[21:38] | You wake? | 你醒了吗 |
[21:45] | I haven’t had a chance to tidy up. | 我还没来得及收拾 |
[21:48] | I don’t have the energy I just used to have, you know? | 我不像以前那样有精神了 |
[21:52] | Well, maybe if you eat something, it might help settle the vodka. | 如果你吃点东西 或许会有助于解酒 |
[21:55] | I feel so tired all the time. | 我总是觉得很累 |
[21:59] | What you need to do,mom, | 妈 你要做的 |
[22:01] | is stop making excuses | 是不再找借口 |
[22:03] | and start going to your AA meetings again. | 去继续参加你的匿名戒酒会 |
[22:05] | I will. | 我会的 |
[22:07] | – I promise. – That’s what you said last time. | -我发誓 -你上次就是这么说的 |
[22:11] | I’ve been cleaning up your messes since I was a kid. | 我从小就开始为你收拾烂摊子 |
[22:13] | I know. | 我知道 |
[22:20] | – It’s got to stop. – It will. | -不能再这样下去了 -不会再这样了 |
[22:22] | I-I’m getting too old for this is. | 我已经过了做这些的年纪了 |
[22:24] | No, I’m the one that’s getting too old for this. | 不 我才是那个过了做这些的年纪的人 |
[22:26] | You think I like being like this? | 你觉得我希望这样吗 |
[22:27] | Sometimes I think you do. | 有时候我觉得你就是自甘堕落 |
[22:30] | I got a lot of good years left. | 我还有机会过好日子 |
[22:32] | I could still meet someone,huh? | 我还有可能遇到真命天子 |
[22:37] | You clean up real nice. | 你总能收拾好自己 |
[22:39] | You always have. | 向来如此 |
[22:41] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[22:43] | Well, that’s exactly what I’m going to do. | 我就准备这么做 |
[22:47] | I’m really going to do it this time. | 这次我真的会做的 |
[22:50] | Oh, I promise, Lilly. | 我答应你 莉莉 |
[22:53] | I promise. | 说到做到 |
[23:01] | I’m detective Rush | 我是拉什警探 |
[23:03] | Lilly Rush? The only female homicide detective in Philadelphia? | 莉莉·拉什 费城唯一的女凶案组警探 |
[23:06] | Well, there’s two now. | 现在有两个了 |
[23:08] | And I’m detective Vera, one of the nameless male horde. | 我是维拉警探 大批男性警探中的一员 |
[23:13] | Your student, Emma Stone, | 你的学生 艾玛·斯通 |
[23:14] | came to see us about her relative’s murder. | 她请我们来调查她亲戚的谋杀案 |
[23:17] | How can I help? | 我有什么能帮上忙的 |
[23:18] | You’re an expert on the suffragette movement, | 你是妇女参政运动的专家 |
[23:19] | Alice B.Harris? | 研究过爱丽丝·B·哈里斯 |
[23:20] | Wrote my thesis on her. | 我的论文课题就是她 |
[23:22] | Well, she might not be the hero you think she is. | 她或许没有你想象中那么伟大 |
[23:24] | What could possibly make you believe that? | 你怎么会有这种想法 |
[23:26] | Well, Alice was the leader | 爱丽丝当年 |
[23:27] | of the women’s movement in philly, right? | 是费城妇女参政运动的领袖 对吗 |
[23:30] | Which means if someone betrayed her, she’d have the most to lose. | 意味着如果有人背叛她 她的损失最大 |
[23:33] | Who would betray Alice? | 谁会背叛爱丽丝 |
[23:34] | Emma’s relative, Frances Stone. | 艾玛的亲戚 弗兰西斯·斯通 |
[23:37] | Because her family owned the brewery. | 她的家族当年经营啤酒厂 |
[23:38] | Wanted to put the suffragettes out | 当年妇女参政运动者支持禁酒令 |
[23:40] | of business because of their support of prohibition. | 所以她家族的人一心想除掉她们 |
[23:43] | Frances spied on Alice for her family. | 弗兰西斯为她家族刺探爱丽丝的消息 |
[23:45] | And we think Alice might have found out, | 我们认为爱丽丝可能发现了 |
[23:49] | killed her. | 便杀人灭口 |
[23:50] | But Frances Stone wasn’t a traitor. | 但是弗兰西斯·斯通不是叛徒 |
[23:53] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[23:54] | Because I had the honor of interviewing Alice before she died. | 因为我有幸在爱丽丝死前采访过她 |
[23:58] | She talked about Frances? | 她提到了弗兰西斯 |
[24:00] | I have the recordings in here. | 我这儿有录音 |
[24:02] | Alice had high hopes for Frances. | 爱丽丝对弗兰西斯期望颇高 |
[24:06] | Then again, she had high hopes for the women’s movement, too. | 不过 她对妇女参政运动也期望颇高 |
[24:09] | Wanted votes for women in every country. | 希望各个国家的女性都有投票权 |
[24:11] | Here’s the file. | 文件在这儿 |
[24:15] | I remember one girl in particular | 我对一个女孩记忆犹新 |
[24:18] | who I thought was the face of our movement. | 我曾以为她会是我们运动的代表 |
[24:21] | All heart and no guile. | 一心一意 别无心机 |
[24:33] | Are you sure it’s wise to put | 把立法者的名字 |
[24:34] | the legislators’ names on the banners, Alice? | 贴在横幅上 这样明智吗 爱丽丝 |
[24:36] | They have to know we know who they are. | 得让他们知道我们清楚他们都是谁 |
[24:39] | Isn’t that what you said? | 这不是你的提议吗 |
[24:42] | Remember, Frances, we’re only as strong… | 记住 弗兰西斯 我们最深的恐惧 |
[24:44] | As our greatest fear. | 是我们最强的力量 |
[24:48] | Where’s your friend, Frances, | 你的朋友呢 弗兰西斯 |
[24:49] | the one who came to the last meeting with you? | 上次和你一起来参加会议的那位 |
[24:51] | – She couldn’t make it. – Did your mother fire her? | -她来不了了 -你母亲开除她了吗 |
[24:55] | No, but… | 没有 但是… |
[25:00] | I’m not feeling very well. Will you excuse me? | 我有点不舒服 失陪一下 |
[25:15] | I know who your father is, Frances. | 我知道你父亲是谁 弗兰西斯 |
[25:18] | You do? | 是吗 |
[25:19] | I’m a suffragette,not a teetotaler. | 我是妇女参政运动者 不是禁酒主义者 |
[25:21] | If you knew, then why allow me to join your chapter? | 你知道的话 为什么还让我加入 |
[25:24] | Because I trust you. | 因为我信任你 |
[25:26] | You shouldn’t. | 你不该轻信我 |
[25:27] | – You think you’re trapped? – I am. | -你觉得自己如困兽一般 -是的 |
[25:30] | You’re a spoiled, rich girl living in a gilded cage. | 你是个养尊处优却活在金笼内的富家女 |
[25:35] | But you are also a smart, passionate | 但你也是一个聪明 热情 |
[25:39] | young woman who knows right from wrong. | 能够辨别是非的年轻姑娘 |
[25:42] | A woman who would never betray what she believes in. | 一个绝对不会背叛自己信仰的女人 |
[25:44] | How can you be so sure? | 你怎么如此确定 |
[25:46] | Because I was just like you not so long ago. | 因为曾经我也像你一样 |
[25:51] | – You were? – In over my head. | -是吗 -头脑发昏 |
[25:54] | Not sure what I’d really got myself into. | 不知道自己卷进了什么里面 |
[25:57] | Not even sure if it was worth it. | 甚至不确定这一切是否值得 |
[26:01] | But it was? | 但这都是值得的 |
[26:02] | We are going to change the course of history, Frances. | 我们将会改变历史 弗兰西斯 |
[26:05] | How many people do you know who could say that? | 有多少人能说这话 |
[26:10] | This is an illegal gathering. You’re all under arrest. | 这里有非法集会 你们都被逮捕了 |
[26:13] | – It wasn’t me. I didn’t tell anyone. – I know. | -不是我 我谁都没告诉 -我知道 |
[26:16] | What’s the meaning of this? | 这什么意思 |
[26:17] | There are no laws against a gathering of women. | 哪条法律规定女人不能集会了 |
[26:19] | There’s been a report of illegal activity. | 有举报说这里有非法活动 |
[26:21] | What illegal activity? | 什么非法活动 |
[26:22] | – Operating a bordello. – That’s absurd. | -经营妓院 -这太荒唐了 |
[26:25] | You want to add resisting arrest to the prostitution charges? | 你想罪名里再加一条拒捕吗 |
[26:29] | You know when I said you had to be tough? | 你记得我说你得坚强吗 |
[26:31] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 |
[26:38] | If women today knew what women back then had to go through, | 如果现在的女性知道当年这些女人经历 |
[26:41] | they wouldn’t take the vote for granted. | 她们就不会轻视投票权 |
[26:44] | No mention in the murder file of Frances ever being arrested. | 弗兰西斯的案件里没有提过她的被捕记录 |
[26:47] | That’s odd. Everyone at that meeting was. | 真奇怪 其他人都有记录 |
[26:50] | It’s documented. June 23,1919. | 文件里写了 1919年6月23日 |
[26:55] | It’s the same day Frances was killed. | 正是弗兰西斯被杀当日 |
[27:04] | Well, Alice Harris and four other women | 爱丽丝·哈里斯和其他四名女性 |
[27:06] | were booked into Broad street station at, uh | 被拘留在布罗德街分局 时间是 |
[27:10] | 5:37 p.M | 下午5点37分 |
[27:12] | On June 23. | 6月23日 |
[27:14] | Incarcerated on charges of deviant sexual behavior | 监禁罪名为不正当性行为 |
[27:17] | and resisting arrest. | 还有拒捕 |
[27:18] | Held for three days before a judge voided the charges. | 法官判决指控无效前被拘留了三日 |
[27:22] | Only one other woman was | 除她们之外 |
[27:23] | taken into custody at broad street that day. | 当天被拘留在分局的只有另一名女性 |
[27:25] | Yeah. | 对 |
[27:26] | Jane Smith. | 简·史密斯 |
[27:28] | At 5:37. | 5点37分 |
[27:31] | A single white female placed in a holding cell until further notice. | 是一个单身白人女性 关押在拘留室等消息 |
[27:36] | Exact same time. No way that’s a coincidence. | 时间惊人的一致 绝不可能是巧合 |
[27:38] | Well, Stone’s a famous name in Philly back then. | 斯通在当时的费城可是名门望族 |
[27:41] | Yeah, jailor might have separated her out, | 狱卒可能单独关押了她 |
[27:43] | used Smith as an alias. | 并用了史密斯这个化名 |
[27:44] | Because Frances was a society girl. | 因为弗兰西斯是大家闺秀 |
[27:48] | 6:23 P.M. | 下午6点23分 |
[27:50] | A Mr. Smith and Jones request | 史密斯和琼斯先生申请 |
[27:52] | and receive permission to see the prisoner. | 并获得了探监权 |
[27:54] | Well, according to the log, | 据记录 |
[27:56] | jailor escorted Smith and Jones to the cell, | 狱卒陪同史密斯和琼斯进牢房 |
[27:58] | noting how agitated the men were, | 探监的两人都很激动 |
[28:00] | how the older one stood back | 年长的起先没过去 |
[28:02] | to let the younger one get the first crack at the prisoner. | 让年轻的先与犯人交谈 |
[28:09] | Right this way, gentlemen. | 先生们 这边请 |
[28:20] | Frances? | 弗兰西斯 |
[28:24] | Lawrence? | 劳伦斯 |
[28:28] | How did you…? | 你怎么… |
[28:31] | All that matters is I’m here to get you out. | 重要的是我是来救你出去的 |
[28:34] | – They arrested us for no reason. – I know. | -他们无缘无故逮捕了我们 -我知道 |
[28:37] | But it’s over now. All this silliness. | 都结束了 所有这些胡闹 |
[28:40] | Silliness? | 胡闹 |
[28:42] | They hit Alice in the head with a nightstick. | 他们用警棍打爱丽丝的头 |
[28:44] | We’re going to forget about that now. Move forward. | 我们要忘记那些事 向前看 |
[28:47] | Get married. Just like we talked about. | 就像我们说好的那样 结婚 |
[28:52] | I don’t want to get married. | 我不想结婚 |
[29:03] | I’m sorry, Lawrence. | 对不起 劳伦斯 |
[29:06] | I want more for my life. | 我不想这样平淡一生 |
[29:18] | I tried, sir. | 我尽力了 先生 |
[29:28] | Are you really willing to | 你真愿意为了 |
[29:30] | give up everything for this so-called cause? | 这所谓的目标放弃一切吗 |
[29:33] | Think before you answer, my dear. | 想好了再告诉我 孩子 |
[29:35] | Because this could be the most important decision of your life. | 这将是你人生中最重大的决定 |
[29:39] | What are you saying? | 你是什么意思 |
[29:41] | You’ve never been poor, | 你从未尝过贫穷的滋味 |
[29:43] | never been treated like a second-class citizen, but I have. | 从未被人当做二等公民对待 不像我 |
[29:46] | I have, too, father. | 我也经历过 父亲 |
[29:48] | Every time you dismiss me as though I were your | 每次你把我当做蠢丫头而无视我时 |
[29:50] | stupid little filly. | 我都是这种感受 |
[29:51] | I’m warning you, Frances. | 我警告你 弗兰西斯 |
[29:53] | Your beliefs won’t keep you warm at night, | 你的信仰可不能 |
[29:55] | or put food in your stomach. | 让你衣食无忧 |
[29:58] | Are you threatening to disown me? | 你是威胁要跟我脱离关系吗 |
[30:00] | Unless you change your mind. | 除非你改变主意 |
[30:02] | Forswear those corrupting women. | 跟那些道德败坏的女人决裂 |
[30:05] | Right here, right now. | 就在这儿 就现在 |
[30:09] | I can’t. | 我做不到 |
[30:11] | I’m sorry,father. | 对不起 父亲 |
[30:18] | So be it. | 那就只能这样了 |
[30:23] | You’re dead to me. | 我已经没你这个女儿了 |
[30:25] | And to your mother. | 对你母亲来说也是 |
[30:26] | Mother knows I’m here? | 母亲也知道我在这儿吗 |
[30:29] | Your friend, Philippa, told us everything. | 你朋友 菲利帕 告诉了我们一切 |
[30:34] | Phil? I don’t believe it. | 菲尔吗 我不信 |
[30:36] | How do you think we knew about the meeting? | 那你觉得我们是怎么知道集会的事呢 |
[30:39] | That can’t be. | 这不可能 |
[30:41] | It’s easy to have ideals when you’re rich, Frances. | 有钱人才会有理想 弗兰西斯 |
[30:45] | Not so easy when you’re poor. | 但穷人却要不起理想 |
[30:48] | As you’re about to find out. | 你很快就会明白的 |
[31:00] | Father, wait! | 父亲 等等 |
[31:09] | Well, rubber meets the road. | 现实冲击理想了 |
[31:11] | Frances couldn’t hack it. | 弗兰西斯无法应对 |
[31:14] | Mr.Smith, aka Ambrose Stone, | 史密斯先生 也就是安布罗斯·斯通 |
[31:17] | bailed Frances out of jail that night. | 那晚将弗兰西斯保释出来 |
[31:20] | All right. Couldn’t have been easy going back home | 回家面对背叛自己的挚友 |
[31:22] | to the best friend who betrayed you. | 肯定让人很难受 |
[31:25] | Yeah. If I were Frances, I’d have come down hard on Phil. | 我要是弗兰西斯 就一定会找菲尔算账 |
[31:27] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[31:29] | And maybe Phil fought back. | 菲尔可能也还击了 |
[31:41] | Hate to tell you this, Audrey, | 虽然不想告诉你这些 奥黛丽 |
[31:43] | but looks like your mother, Phil , betrayed her best buddy. | 但你母亲 菲尔 背叛了她的挚友 |
[31:47] | Sold her down the river. | 出卖了她 |
[31:49] | My mother loved Frances. | 我母亲是爱弗兰西斯的 |
[31:52] | She was the Benedict Arnold of the suffragettes. | 她是那些妇女参政运动者中的叛徒 |
[31:56] | My mother was a good woman. | 我母亲是个好人 |
[32:00] | There’s a reason | 她没去 |
[32:03] | she didn’t go to that second meeting at Alice Harris’s. | 爱丽丝·哈里斯家的第二次集会是有原因的 |
[32:06] | Because she tipped off the police. | 因为她向警察告了密 |
[32:11] | It was all my fault. | 这都怪我 |
[32:14] | You were seven years old. | 你那时才7岁 |
[32:18] | You don’t know what it was like for mothers back then. | 你根本不了解当时母亲们的处境 |
[32:22] | Once a woman had a child, she was helpless. | 女人一旦有了孩子 就会变得很无助 |
[32:27] | Helpless how? | 怎么无助 |
[32:29] | I… I promised her I’d never say. | 我答应过要保密的 |
[32:34] | But… she had no choice. | 但是 她根本没有选择 |
[32:38] | No choice about what, Audrey? | 选择什么 奥黛丽 |
[32:39] | The times she lived in. | 她所生活的年代 |
[32:42] | Well, murder’s the same now as it was back then. | 凶杀在哪个年代都是一样的 |
[32:45] | Yes, but being a woman was entirely different. | 是的 但那时女人的生活却完全不同 |
[32:58] | – How could you? – Go away, Frances. | -你怎么能那样 -走开 弗兰西斯 |
[33:01] | – You tell me why first. – You wouldn’t understand. | -你先告诉我原因 -你不会懂的 |
[33:04] | Did my father pay you, is that it? | 我父亲花钱买通了你 是不是 |
[33:06] | You think I would betray you for money? | 你觉得我会为了钱背叛你 |
[33:09] | Your husband beat you again. | 你丈夫又打你了 |
[33:10] | I’ve been beaten before, and I’ll get beaten again. | 我以前也挨过揍 将来也免不了 |
[33:13] | Then why? | 那到底是为什么 |
[33:15] | For Audrey. | 为了奥黛丽 |
[33:17] | He hurt her? | 他打她了吗 |
[33:22] | He said he’d divorce me, take me to court, | 他说他要和我离婚 把我送上法庭 |
[33:25] | have me judged by a jury of his peers. | 而裁决我的陪审团必然跟他一样 |
[33:28] | Because juries are all men. | 因为陪审团都是男人 |
[33:30] | And once they heard I was a suffragette | 一旦他们听说我支持妇女参政 |
[33:32] | they’d take her away from me. | 他们就会夺走我的女儿 |
[33:35] | Never let me see my own daughter again. | 再也不让我见到她了 |
[33:40] | What can I do? | 我还能怎么办 |
[33:43] | What choice did I have? | 我还有别的选择吗 |
[33:47] | I betrayed us, too, Phil, | 我也背叛了我们 菲尔 |
[33:49] | and for a lot less. | 只为一些微不足道的东西 |
[33:52] | For safety, | 为了我的安全 |
[33:53] | for comfort from my gilded cage. | 和我金丝笼的安逸 |
[33:56] | It’s a nice cage, Frances. | 金丝笼很美 弗兰西斯 |
[33:58] | No one can blame you for wanting to stay in it. | 你想留在笼子里 没有人会怪你的 |
[34:01] | Alice said, | 爱丽丝说过 |
[34:01] | “We’re only as strong as our greatest fear.” | “我们最深的恐惧是我们最强的力量” |
[34:05] | Mine is losing Audrey. | 我最害怕失去奥黛丽 |
[34:08] | I thought mine was being disowned, but it’s not. | 我以为我害怕被家族抛弃 但不是的 |
[34:11] | It’s being a coward. | 我最害怕当一个懦夫 |
[34:16] | What are you going to do? | 你打算怎么做 |
[34:18] | I’m going to go back to that jail, | 我要回监狱去 |
[34:19] | fight to get Alice and the others out. | 努力把爱丽丝还有其他人救出来 |
[34:21] | And get re-arrested? | 再被抓起来吗 |
[34:22] | I’d rather be in a cage with bars | 我宁愿待在牢笼里 |
[34:25] | than be here and hate myself. | 也不愿待在这里 恨自己 |
[34:29] | – I’ll go with you. – No, no. | -我跟你一起去 -不行 |
[34:33] | Audrey needs you more than we do. | 奥黛丽比我们更需要你 |
[34:45] | Be careful. | 千万小心 |
[34:48] | I’m through being careful. | 我不要再小心翼翼了 |
[35:02] | My mother did what she had to do for me, | 我母亲为了我做了她必须做的 |
[35:05] | and Frances did what she had to do | 而弗兰西斯为了我们大家 |
[35:08] | for all of us. | 做了她必须做的 |
[35:11] | But someone stopped her before she had the chance. | 但她还没来得及 就被人阻止了 |
[35:14] | Someone in that house, | 是房子里的人 |
[35:16] | listening to Sophie Tucker. | 而且当时正在听苏菲·塔克的歌 |
[35:21] | The police report said no one was home but the servants. | 据警察报告 当时房子里只有仆人们 |
[35:24] | But there was music playing? | 但是却有音乐在放 |
[35:26] | Sophie Tucker, Elizabeth’s favorite. | 苏菲·塔克 伊丽莎白的最爱 |
[35:28] | There was only one gramophone. | 房里只有一台留声机 |
[35:30] | That one, Elizabeth’s. | 就是那台 伊丽莎白的 |
[35:32] | Grammy Stone said after Frances died, | 我奶奶说 弗兰西斯死后 |
[35:34] | Elizabeth became a recluse, shut herself up in her room, | 伊丽莎白就足不出户 整日待在房间里 |
[35:38] | With her needlepoint… | 一个人做针线… |
[35:40] | and books. | 还有读书 |
[35:42] | Hmm, there’s a record here. “The Market Street recording studio.” | 这有张唱片 上面写着”商业街录音室” |
[35:47] | Looks like Elizabeth made a recording. | 看起来伊丽莎白刻了张唱片 |
[35:49] | August 18, 1920. | 1920年8月18日 |
[35:52] | August 18? | 8月18日 |
[35:53] | Does the date mean something? | 这个日期有什么事发生吗 |
[35:55] | That’s the date the 19th amendment was ratified, | 那是第十九修正案通过的日期 |
[35:58] | gave women the right to vote. | 妇女从此有了投票权 |
[35:59] | Odd day to make a recording, | 选择那天录音还真奇怪 |
[36:01] | especially since Elizabeth was against the whole thing. | 况且伊丽莎白一直反对这事 |
[36:16] | How happy you would have been to know that | 亲爱的 你要是知道你朝思暮想的那天 |
[36:18] | the day you dreamed of has finally arrived, my dear. | 终于到来了 你该有多高兴啊 |
[36:23] | I’m making this record | 我录这张唱片 |
[36:25] | so that I can play it alone over and over again. | 就是想一个人反反复复地听 |
[36:40] | And where do you think you’re going at this hour? | 都这个时候了你要去哪 |
[36:42] | Out, mother. | 到外面去 妈妈 |
[36:44] | Not if I have anything to say about it. | 除非获得我的允许 |
[36:47] | I’m through being told what to do by you. | 我受够了你对我发号施令 |
[36:49] | Or anyone else for that matter. | 我受够了所有人的指手画脚 |
[36:51] | Except that coven of riffraff. | 除了那群乌合之众吗 |
[36:54] | Why do they frighten you so much, mother? | 你为什么那么怕她们 妈妈 |
[36:56] | They don’t frighten me. | 我才不怕她们 |
[36:57] | Then come with me. | 那就和我一起去吧 |
[36:59] | See for yourself what they are really like. | 亲自去看看她们真实的样子 |
[37:01] | Don’t be absurd. | 真是荒唐 |
[37:03] | Absurd is thinking women are just domestic angels. | 真正荒唐的是认为妇女只能做家庭主妇 |
[37:06] | Absurd is thinking we need men to decide how we should live. | 是认为该由男人决定我们的生活方式 |
[37:10] | Why can’t you accept that I’m happy the way I am, | 你为什么不相信我对生活很满意呢 |
[37:12] | and you can be, too? | 而且你也可以 |
[37:14] | Because you’re not happy, mother. | 因为你过得并不快乐 妈妈 |
[37:16] | You’re just too scared to admit it. | 你只是不敢承认罢了 |
[37:18] | I am a wife and a mother. | 我是一个妻子 一位母亲 |
[37:20] | What more can a woman ask for? | 有这两样一个女人还求什么呢 |
[37:23] | Her freedom. | 自由 |
[37:24] | Don’t you want that? | 你不想要吗 |
[37:26] | What you want will never happen. | 你所想要的永远不会得到 |
[37:28] | Can’t you see I am trying to save you from disappointment? | 你看不出来我是不想你最终失望而归吗 |
[37:32] | You’re the one who’s disappointed, mother, | 妈妈 失望的人是你 |
[37:34] | in the bill of goods you bought hook, line and sinker. | 对自己得到的一切失望透顶的人 |
[37:39] | I’m a realist, Frances. | 我很现实 弗兰西斯 |
[37:41] | Hoping for a future that will never happen | 对不可能的未来充满希冀 |
[37:44] | is simply too painful. | 实在太痛苦 |
[37:47] | So you do want more? | 这么说你确实不满足于此 |
[37:51] | I am happy with what I have. | 我很知足了 |
[37:57] | I’m sorry, mother, | 对不起 妈妈 |
[37:58] | but this cage simply isn’t big enough for me. | 但这个金丝笼容不下我 |
[38:00] | It’s not a cage. | 这不是一个笼子 |
[38:01] | Yes, it is, you just can’t see it. | 是的 只是你熟视无睹 |
[38:03] | How dare you. My life is not a lie. | 你好大胆 我的生活不是一个谎言 |
[38:06] | – Let me go, mother. – No. | -放开我 妈妈 -不 |
[38:07] | I’m happy, damn it, happy! | 我很幸福啊 该死 很幸福 |
[38:19] | Frances. | 弗兰西斯 |
[38:37] | 歌曲:Stardust 歌手:Hoagy Carmichael |