时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:17] | What do you have there, Ned? | 这是什么 奈德 |
[00:19] | It’s for my dad. | 是给我爸爸的 |
[00:30] | Neddie! | 奈德 |
[00:37] | Neddie, could you take that bowl of potato chips | 奈德 把这碗薯片 |
[00:39] | into the family room? | 拿进休息室 |
[00:40] | I’ve got batter on my hands | 我手上有面糊 |
[00:42] | Mom, I drew a picture of Dad’s plane | 妈妈 我画了一幅爸爸飞机的画 |
[00:44] | with the exact way that the wings were decorated, OK? | 机翼的装饰跟真的一模一样 怎么样 |
[00:47] | OK, Neddie. | 好啊 奈德 |
[00:47] | Because, you said he’s not flying in that anymore | 因为你说他不再开那架飞机了 |
[00:50] | so he needs something to remember it by. | 所以他需要有个念想 |
[00:55] | Mom, I need you to start the shrimp rounds. | 妈妈 你得开始做虾卷了 |
[01:07] | Who are you? | 你是谁 |
[01:10] | Who are you? | 你是谁 |
[01:11] | I’m Ned. | 我是奈德 |
[01:13] | Well then I’m your dad, Ned. | 那我是你爸爸 奈德 |
[01:16] | You don’t look like my dad. | 你不像我爸爸 |
[01:18] | I have his picture. | 我有他的照片 |
[01:20] | I’m a lot handsomer now than I used to be. | 我比以前帅多了 |
[01:27] | I’m home. | 我回来了 |
[01:28] | Oh, my God. | 天呐 |
[01:31] | Carl. | 卡尔 |
[01:47] | I remember you. | 我还记得你 |
[02:03] | I made this. | 这是我做的 |
[02:07] | It’s for you. | 是给你的 |
[02:10] | These are the bracelets with your name on them. | 这些手镯上都有你的名字 |
[02:12] | Everybody wore ’em while you were in Vietnam. | 你在越南的时候 大家都戴着这些 |
[02:22] | Big boys don’t cry, Dad. | 大男人可不哭 爸爸 |
[02:26] | I’m cryin’ because your mom spent so much money on this box. | 我哭是因为你妈为这箱子肯定花了不少钱 |
[02:31] | No, I made it. | 不 这是我做的 |
[02:33] | Oh, yeah? | 是吗 |
[03:00] | 73年4月 卡尔·波顿 | |
[03:15] | Lieutenant Stillman. | 斯蒂尔曼副队长 |
[03:18] | Kat Miller, narcotics. I called you. | 我是凯蒂·米勒 缉毒组的 我喊你来的 |
[03:21] | Detective Rush and Valens. | 这两位是拉什和瓦伦斯探员 |
[03:22] | Glad you could come down. | 谢谢你们能来 |
[03:24] | We found something interesting tossed in this place. | 我们搜这里的时候发现了有趣的东西 |
[03:29] | What are they? | 是什么 |
[03:31] | POW bracelets. | 战俘手镯 |
[03:33] | All with the same name on ’em Carl Burton. | 上面都是同一个名字 卡尔·波顿 |
[03:35] | He was a Navy pilot. | 他是个海军飞行员 |
[03:37] | Prisoner of war in Vietnam. | 越战战俘 |
[03:38] | He was shot to death back here in ’73. | 73年在这里被枪杀 |
[03:40] | You remember that all from cuff? | 你凭一个手镯就能记起这么多 |
[03:41] | He was a war hero. | 他是战争英雄 |
[03:42] | Never brought the job in? | 没抓到凶手吗 |
[03:44] | Where’d you find this? | 你在哪找到的 |
[03:45] | Behind the water heater in the cellar. | 地下室热水器后面 |
[03:48] | I just thought that was off. | 我就是觉得不对劲 |
[03:49] | Something sentimental to a murder victim being stuffed down there. | 对死者有感情意义的东西被塞在这里 |
[03:52] | So, were these like dog tags? | 这些东西是类似于军牌吗 |
[03:54] | Friends and family wore ’em, not the soldier. | 这是朋友家人戴的 不是士兵本人 |
[03:56] | POWs who made it home like Carl did, | 像卡尔那样得以回家的战俘 |
[03:58] | someone would gather them up and make a presentation. | 会有人把手镯收集起来给他 |
[04:00] | Anyone you drag out of this place know how they wound up here? | 你在这里抓到的人知道那东西的来路吗 |
[04:03] | House was empty when we hit it | 我们来的时候已经人去楼空了 |
[04:05] | Skimpy new direction. | 新线索不多啊 |
[04:06] | He’s a POW, Scotty. | 他是个战俘 史考特 |
[04:08] | We got anything, we’re gonna go with it. | 有任何线索也得查下去 |
[04:09] | Yeah. OK, sure. | 当然 没问题 |
[04:12] | In fact, think of Carl Burton like family. | 把卡尔·波顿当做你的家人 |
[04:15] | That’s how I want this job worked. | 这宗案子要有这样的劲头 |
[04:55] | Carl Burton, 35, Lieutenant Commander, US Navy. | 卡尔·波顿 35岁 美国海军少校 |
[04:58] | Shot down on his 23rd bombing mission over Hanoi. | 在河内执行第23次轰炸任务时被击落 |
[05:01] | Go up enough times, luck runs out. | 上去那么多次 终于把运气用光了 |
[05:03] | His got even worse, he was captured, spent 5 years in a prison camp. | 他不止是运气差 被俘后在战俘营待了五年 |
[05:07] | Survives all that, gets gunned down in his own area code. | 没死在战俘营 却死在自家门口 |
[05:09] | 7 months after he’s home. | 当时他回家刚七个月 |
[05:11] | Last place Carl’s seen was a funeral reception | 卡尔最后出现的地方是另一名战俘 |
[05:13] | of a POW buddy of his, Rex Potter. | 莱克斯·波特的追思会上 |
[05:15] | He was a Roxborough guy same as Carl, | 跟卡尔一样来自洛克斯步罗 |
[05:18] | didn’t make it out of the prison camp. | 但是没能活着离开战俘营 |
[05:19] | Interviews with the family, | 询问了家人 |
[05:20] | people at the Potter house that night, | 和当晚波特家的宾客 |
[05:21] | no one sees anything unusual. | 没人看到什么异常 |
[05:23] | Carl’s body was found a mile from the reception, | 卡尔横尸于追思会一英里之外的地方 |
[05:25] | gun was a few feet from him but rain washed away any prints. | 枪就在几英尺之外 但指纹被大雨冲掉了 |
[05:30] | And a bag of marijuana in his pocket. | 兜里还有一袋大麻 |
[05:32] | Well a funeral’s gotta be intense, right? | 葬礼肯定令人情绪激动吧 |
[05:34] | Put Carl in the mood for some kind of escape? | 或许让卡尔想逃离一下现实 |
[05:37] | He scores, gets shot on the way home, | 他买了大麻 但那里不太平 |
[05:38] | being in the wrong neighborhood. | 结果回家路上被人枪杀了 |
[05:40] | That doesn’t explain the bracelets in that house. | 但不能解释手镯怎么出现在那栋房子里 |
[05:41] | Maybe he tried to trade ’em to the dealer. | 或许他想拿那个跟毒贩换毒 |
[05:43] | No, they’re not worth anything. | 那东西不值钱 |
[05:44] | Could be why he got shot. | 或许正是因此才挨了枪子 |
[05:46] | Let’s talk to Carl’s wife and son, | 我们去找卡尔的妻儿谈谈 |
[05:47] | see what they remember about the day of the funeral. | 看他们是否记得葬礼那天的事 |
[05:50] | Could be another vet burnout story, John. | 有可能他就是颓废了 约翰 |
[05:53] | Lot of guys we served with came home, turned to junk. | 很多跟我们一同服役的人回来 变得一塌糊涂 |
[05:57] | Whatever we find, we follow it up. | 不管我们查到什么 都要跟下去 |
[06:12] | You didn’t have to fix up, Mrs Burton. | 不用这么麻烦的 波顿太太 |
[06:14] | Military wife, look right, live right. | 我们军嫂 打扮好 礼数周 |
[06:16] | May I get you a drink? | 要来点喝的吗 |
[06:18] | Pretty early. | 时候还早呢 |
[06:20] | Cocktail hours somewhere, boys used to say. | 男人们以前常说 总有哪里正是喝酒的时间 |
[06:24] | We’re here about your husband’s murder. | 我们是为你丈夫的案子而来 |
[06:27] | Something come up? | 有什么新情况吗 |
[06:28] | We found his POW bracelets in an abandoned house in Tioga. | 我们在泰奥加一栋废楼里找到了他的战俘手镯 |
[06:32] | Kind of sketchy area back when Carl was killed. | 卡尔被害的时候那里可不太平 |
[06:34] | It’s even worse now. | 现在那儿更糟了 |
[06:38] | Ok. | 好吧 |
[06:39] | Any idea how the bracelets wound up there? | 你知道手镯怎么会跑到那里去吗 |
[06:42] | No. | 不 |
[06:46] | This is embarassing but, | 我真是不好意思 |
[06:47] | I guess I lost track of them. | 但我把它们忘记了 |
[06:49] | You don’t seem like the losing track type. | 你不像那种会忘记什么的人 |
[06:52] | No, but I lost track of myself for a time then. | 但当时有段日子我连自己都照顾不好 |
[06:56] | Carl was carrying pot when he died. | 卡尔死的时候兜里有大麻 |
[06:58] | The theory was that he had a habit. | 当时认为他在吸毒 |
[07:00] | Got him in to trouble that night. | 那晚他就是因此惹上麻烦 |
[07:01] | Doesn’t sound like the gung-ho fighter pilot I married. | 听上去不像我嫁的那个热血战斗机飞行员啊 |
[07:04] | How about the guy who came home to you in ’72? | 那72年回到你身边的那个男人呢 |
[07:06] | I don’t think about that man. | 我不去想那个人 |
[07:08] | I’d rather remember Carl as he was before. | 我宁愿记得卡尔以前的样子 |
[07:11] | He was strong. | 他很坚强 |
[07:12] | He was a hero, I was his wife. | 他是个英雄 我是他妻子 |
[07:15] | – Would you have known if he was doing drugs? – No. | -如果他吸毒 你会知道吗 -不 |
[07:20] | We really tried. | 我们尽力了 |
[07:22] | We just never got to know each other ever again. | 但我们没能再次了解彼此 |
[07:43] | This is very romantic. | 这可真浪漫 |
[07:45] | Did you turn into a champagne girl while I was gone? | 我不在的日子里 你喜欢上香槟了吗 |
[07:49] | Come on, now. | 得了 |
[08:01] | After sleeping for years with a guy in skivvies, | 这些年我净跟只穿了内衣 |
[08:04] | showered once a week. | 一周洗一次澡的男人同住 |
[08:05] | I’m finally looking good. | 终于觉出我的好了吗 |
[08:16] | Remember when I broke up with you? | 记得我跟你分手那次吗 |
[08:18] | You left a pathetic note in my parents’ mail box. | 你在我父母的邮箱里留了一张破字条 |
[08:22] | ‘I need to be free’. | “我需要自由” |
[08:23] | You came up to me in the parking lot and I’m thinking | 你跑来停车场找我 我还想 |
[08:27] | ‘Oh, no, here she comes. She’d better not cry’. | “天呐 她来了 可别哭鼻子啊” |
[08:31] | Remember? | 记得吗 |
[08:33] | I knew better than you even then. | 我当时就比你更明事理 |
[08:35] | ‘Carl, I got your note. I don’t think so’. | “卡尔 我收到你的字条了 我看不行” |
[08:40] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[08:59] | I feel 18. | 我觉得自己像18岁 |
[09:03] | What is it, your shoulders? | 怎么了 你肩膀疼吗 |
[09:05] | It’s OK. | 没事 |
[09:07] | Come back. | 过来 |
[09:10] | Honey, no. Not if it hurts you. | 亲爱的 不行 我不想弄疼你 |
[09:12] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[09:15] | We’ll dance later when you’re better. | 等你好一些 我们再跳舞吧 |
[09:18] | I don’t want you to pretend it doesn’t hurt. | 我不想让你装作那样不疼 |
[09:20] | Let me pretend! | 让我装吧 |
[09:22] | My arms have been broken 4 times. | 我的胳膊被打断了四次 |
[09:23] | They’re busted. They’ll always be. | 他们废了 再不会好起来了 |
[09:26] | I, I can’t lift ’em. I can’t dance. | 我举不起胳膊来 我跳不了舞 |
[09:33] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[09:36] | I should make sure Ned didn’t wake up. | 我去看看奈德有没有醒过来 |
[09:41] | I’m goin’ for a walk. | 我去散散步 |
[09:43] | You don’t need to wait for me. | 你别等我了 |
[09:57] | He’d go for walks. | 他就那样出去散步 |
[10:00] | For hours. | 一去就是几小时 |
[10:03] | Is that when this started? | 就是那时候开始的吗 |
[10:07] | Any idea where’d he go on these walks? | 你知道他散步的时候去哪吗 |
[10:11] | I didn’t know where Carl was, truly. | 我真的不知道卡尔去了哪里 |
[10:15] | Even when he was right in front of me. | 即使人在眼前 魂也不知去了哪里 |
[10:17] | But you two stayed together. | 但你们并没有分开 |
[10:18] | Hoping somehow we’d find what we lost. | 希望我们能找回我们失去的东西 |
[10:22] | But before we could, | 但我们还没能找到 |
[10:25] | he was gone again. | 他就又离去了 |
[10:33] | So, you’re not the kind doc sees patients? | 你不是那种看病的医生吧 |
[10:37] | No, I’m the kind who does the research. | 对 我是搞科研的 |
[10:39] | Better hours? | 更轻松吗 |
[10:40] | Better company. | 环境更好 |
[10:42] | So where did the bracelets turn up? | 手镯在哪里发现的 |
[10:44] | Stashed away. In a crack house. | 藏在了一栋废弃楼里 |
[10:46] | Were they in the box? | 手镯是放在一个箱子里的吗 |
[10:48] | Yeah, there was a box. | 对 是有个箱子 |
[10:50] | I made that thing. | 那是我做的呢 |
[10:51] | Thinkin’ is, your dad wanted to buy drugs, | 我们认为 你爸想买毒品 |
[10:53] | maybe he got desperate, tried to pawn the bracelets. | 或许走投无路 想当掉手镯 |
[10:55] | Not exactly what you want to believe about your father but… | 你不会愿意相信你父亲会那么做 但是… |
[10:57] | We know you were young when he got home | 我们知道他回来的时候你还小 |
[11:00] | 7. | 7岁 |
[11:01] | You remember anything that | 你记得什么细节 |
[11:02] | looking back makes you think he was usin’? | 现在回想起来能表明他在吸毒的吗 |
[11:04] | No. In fact | 没有 实际上 |
[11:06] | from the day he got back he never missed Triple Nickel Reveille. | 他回来之后 从没误过起床号 |
[11:10] | – Wakin’ up early? – 5:55 am. | -起得早吗 -早上5点55 |
[11:12] | Exercised best he could, started his day. | 尽量做做锻炼 开始新的一天 |
[11:16] | Not junkie behavior. | 这可不像个瘾君子 |
[11:18] | When’d’ya last see those bracelets? | 你最后看见那些手镯是什么时候 |
[11:19] | First week he was back, he put ’em in the basement. | 他回来的第一周 把它们放进了地下室 |
[11:22] | He wasn’t big on war mementos. | 他不怎么喜欢战争纪念品 |
[11:25] | – Tryin’ to move on. – Yeah. | -想向前看 -是啊 |
[11:27] | Anyone around back then who could of got in the way of that? | 当时有谁会让他无法向前看吗 |
[11:32] | There was someone. | 是有个人 |
[11:34] | Who he shouldn’t have even known about. | 他根本不该知道他的事 |
[11:41] | So these people, they made me stay over in Vietnam. | 那些人 他们逼我留在越南 |
[11:45] | That why you didn’t write me any letters? | 所以你才不给我写信吗 |
[11:48] | Only way I could even talk to my friends there | 那时候我想跟我的朋友交流 |
[11:50] | was through a secret code we made up. | 都得靠我们制定的密码 |
[11:52] | A secret code? | 密码 |
[11:53] | Well each letter has its own number of taps. | 每个字母有一定的敲击方式 |
[11:55] | We’d spell out words on the walls between our rooms. | 我们在房间之间的墙上把话敲出来 |
[11:58] | Wow. Like, could you do an N? | 你能敲个N吗 |
[12:05] | Do E. | 敲个E |
[12:10] | D. | 再敲D |
[12:15] | That’s my name, right? | 那是我的名字 |
[12:16] | That’s Ned in your secret code. | 那是用密码敲的奈德 |
[12:18] | Do another. | 再来一次 |
[12:27] | I don’t know, what’s it mean? | 我不知道 那是什么意思 |
[12:29] | I said ‘bear’. Wanna go see the bears? | 我敲了”熊” 想去看熊吗 |
[12:32] | When I come here with Ken, we always go see the lions first. | 我跟肯来的时候 我们总先去看狮子 |
[12:38] | Who’s Ken? | 肯是谁 |
[12:40] | Mommy’s friend. | 妈妈的朋友 |
[12:42] | What kind of friend? | 什么样的朋友 |
[12:44] | Well he takes me to the zoo and he takes Mommy to dinner. | 他带我来动物园 带妈妈出去吃饭 |
[12:55] | At some level I knew I shouldn’t have said that. | 我暗暗感到我不该提起他 |
[12:58] | ‘Cause you knew this Ken was your mom’s special friend? | 因为你知道这个肯是你妈妈的情人吗 |
[13:03] | Guess I was a little messed up about the dueling father figures. | 我当时大概对这两个爸爸感到有些混乱 |
[13:07] | Because truthfully, I knew | 因为我心底里知道 |
[13:08] | Ken a lot better than my dad at that point. | 那个时候肯要比我爸爸强多了 |
[13:11] | Your dad follow up with this guy? | 你爸还去找这个家伙了吗 |
[13:12] | Not that I heard about. | 据我所知没有 |
[13:15] | If I spent 5 years in a box getting tortured | 如果我被关了五年 被人拷打 |
[13:17] | while some guy’s taking my wife to dinner. | 却有人带我老婆去吃饭 |
[13:19] | I’d follow up. | 我肯定不会罢休 |
[13:23] | Janet Burton didn’t mention anyone on the scene | 珍妮特·波顿可没说卡尔不在时 |
[13:25] | while Carl was gone? | 她跟别人好过 |
[13:26] | Played the pained and patient wife. | 扮演了痛苦耐心的妻子 |
[13:28] | Not big on airing dirty laundry. | 丑事却没有外扬 |
[13:30] | Doesn’t she want to know what happened to Carl? | 她不想知道卡尔究竟是怎么了吗 |
[13:31] | Seemed afraid of what we might find, | 好像是害怕我们会查到的东西 |
[13:33] | him not turning out to be the perfect hero. | 发现他不是个完美的英雄 |
[13:35] | – The house with the bracelets. – Yeah, what’d you find? | -找到手镯的房子 -有什么发现 |
[13:38] | Back in ’73, place still had renters | 73年时 那里还有租客 |
[13:39] | before crack ran ’em out. | 是贩毒把他们吓跑了 |
[13:41] | One of ’em, Ken Westin. | 其中就有肯·威斯汀 |
[13:44] | Our perfect wife’s boyfriend. | 完美妻子的男友 |
[13:51] | Step lively lively, quietly. | 请迅速 安静地往前走 |
[13:55] | Giving you a heads up, Dorothy. | 给你提个醒 桃乐西 |
[13:57] | Tour groups heading to ceramics, over. | 有游客前往陶艺区 |
[14:00] | – Ken Westin? – Absolutely. | -肯·威斯汀 -正是 |
[14:02] | Detective Valens, homicide. | 我是瓦伦斯探员 凶案组的 |
[14:04] | Mind if I ask you to step to this side of the rope here, please. | 请你站到绳子的这一边来行吗 |
[14:08] | We found some POW bracelets hidden in your old house, Ken. | 我们在你的旧住处找到了一些战俘手镯 肯 |
[14:11] | Belonged to a murder victim Carl Burton? | 是卡尔·波顿的 他被害了 |
[14:14] | Whoa. Carl’s bracelets? | 卡尔的手镯 |
[14:18] | I must’ve left those when I moved. | 肯定是我搬家的时候扔下了 |
[14:20] | Why were they in your house in the first place? | 那东西怎么会在你那里呢 |
[14:23] | Already got the skinny on your relationship with Janet, | 我们已经知道你和珍妮特的关系了 |
[14:26] | so you can pick up from there. | 你从那儿开始说吧 |
[14:30] | I’m confessin’ to the act of a heart-sick young man, OK? | 我承认出于伤心而干了些蠢事 |
[14:35] | I took ’em. | 是我偷走的 |
[14:37] | The day she broke up with me. | 就在她跟我分手的那天 |
[14:39] | To make myself feel better, I snatched the bracelets. | 我想让心里好受些 就偷走了那些手镯 |
[14:43] | – Low, I know. – It’s real low, Ken. | -很下作 我知道 -非常下作 肯 |
[14:46] | – The guy was a POW. – I appreciate that. | -他可是个战俘 -这我知道 |
[14:49] | I was over there, too. 11 months before illness befell me. | 我也去过 去了11个月 然后病倒了 |
[14:55] | So, let’s say the | 那么 如果 |
[14:56] | bracelet snatch doesn’t do the trick and your still stewin’. | 偷手镯不够解恨 你还生气呢 |
[15:00] | Makes me wonder where you were, the night Carl got shot. | 我就很想知道卡尔被枪杀那晚你在哪里 |
[15:03] | I was at Smokie’s, my regular night spot, sheesh! | 我在烟熏酒吧 我晚上总去那里 |
[15:08] | I stole from the guy. I did not wish him to be dead. | 我只是偷了他的东西 没想他死 |
[15:12] | Know anyone who might’ve? | 知道有谁会想他死吗 |
[15:14] | I’ll tell you this, when he came back, | 我可以告诉你 他回来之后 |
[15:17] | Carl wasn’t exactly winning friends and influencing people. | 卡尔可没有结交朋友或利用他的影响力 |
[15:21] | – What d’you mean? – A little unstable. | -什么意思 -他有点不稳定 |
[15:23] | And you’d know how? | 你怎么知道 |
[15:24] | Did some research, check up on the guy, | 我去调查了一番 看他人怎么样 |
[15:27] | make sure he was worthy. | 让我被甩得心服口服 |
[15:35] | I asked you to take that down, Wes. | 我拜托你把那个拿下来了 维斯 |
[15:38] | You kiddin’ me hero? | 你开玩笑吗 英雄 |
[15:39] | That signs worth at least two cars a month. | 那标语每个月能帮我换来两辆车 |
[15:41] | I’d be three if I could teach you a little hustle. | 你让我教你怎么应酬能搞定三辆呢 |
[15:51] | She’s a beauty. | 她真漂亮啊 |
[15:53] | Can I send you home together today? | 我可以让你们今天一起回家吗 |
[15:55] | Oh, hello. I need to think about it. | 你好啊 我得想想 |
[16:01] | Excuse me, will you. | 失陪一下 |
[16:14] | You can’t keep showin’ up here Daniel. | 你不能总来这儿 丹尼尔 |
[16:16] | – You gonna talk to me? – No! | -你愿跟我谈吗 -不 |
[16:17] | Well you gotta some day. | 你总有一天得跟我谈啊 |
[16:19] | The kid’s got hustle, washing cars for free, you know him? | 这孩子挺不错 免费给我洗车 你们认识吗 |
[16:21] | I told you to beat it. | 我让你走了 |
[16:23] | Look, I just wanna know about my dad. | 我只想知道我爸爸的事 |
[16:26] | OK, I’ve asked you three times, now I’m doing your work for you, | 我都问了你三次了 现在我替你干活 |
[16:28] | – I mean what’s it gonna take? – Leave this alone. | -你还要我怎么样啊 -别管了 |
[16:29] | – Leave my father alone? – Believe me, | -别管我爸爸吗 -相信我 |
[16:32] | there are some things you don’t wanna know. | 有些事你不会想知道的 |
[16:35] | Now get outta here! | 出去吧 |
[16:41] | You know, I’ve been real nice to you, Carl. | 我一直对你很好 卡尔 |
[16:44] | You’re gonna wish you were nicer to me. | 你会后悔没对我好一点 |
[16:53] | So, who was this kid Daniel? | 那个叫丹尼尔的孩子是谁 |
[16:57] | I can’t say for sure, | 我也不确定 |
[16:59] | since I was no longer a member of the inner circle. | 因为我已经不能再靠近他们的生活了 |
[17:01] | But this looked like a personal thing to you? | 但他们之间像是有私人恩怨吗 |
[17:04] | The kid got under Carl’s skin. | 那孩子惹怒了卡尔 |
[17:06] | And I’d done enough research. | 而且我也调查够了 |
[17:08] | That was the last time I saw the moody son of a gun. | 那是我最后一次见到那个暴躁的混蛋 |
[17:14] | Ken Westin was a mistake, he was a neighborhood guy, | 肯·威斯汀是一个错误 他是一个邻居 |
[17:17] | kept me company while Carl was… | 卡尔不在时陪陪我而已 |
[17:20] | Oh, he was pretty wounded when you two broke up. | 你们分手的时候他可挺受伤啊 |
[17:23] | Stole Carl’s bracelets. | 偷了卡尔的手镯 |
[17:25] | Ken did it? Oh, for Pete’s sakes. | 是他啊 天呐 |
[17:27] | Think he would’ve gone a step farther? Got into it with Carl? | 你觉得他会有进一步的举动吗 跟卡尔起争执 |
[17:31] | Confrontation was not Ken’s style. | 卡尔不是跟人争执的人 |
[17:33] | Janet, do you know anything about a kid named Daniel? | 珍妮特 你知道一个叫丹尼尔的孩子吗 |
[17:36] | Yeah. Daniel. He was… | 知道 丹尼尔 他是… |
[17:43] | – Would coffee help you? – No. | -要来点咖啡吗 -不 |
[17:47] | Daniel Potter, his father Rex was a POW with Carl. | 丹尼尔·波特 他父亲莱克斯跟卡尔关在一起 |
[17:52] | Didn’t make it home. | 但没能活着回来 |
[17:53] | It was Rex’s memorial Carl went to the day he died. | 卡尔死的那天就是去参加莱克斯的追思会 |
[17:57] | Have any idea why Carl and Daniel were fighting at the car dealership? | 你知道卡尔和丹尼尔在车行为什么事起争执吗 |
[18:01] | Daniel was hounding Carl. | 丹尼尔缠着卡尔 |
[18:03] | Trying to get stuff out of him about his father. | 想问出来一些关于他父亲的事 |
[18:05] | But Carl wouldn’t talk about that. | 但卡尔不愿谈那些事 |
[18:07] | He saw horrible things in that prison camp. | 他在那座战俘营见到了各种惨状 |
[18:10] | He wouldn’t revisit them for anyone, not me, not Daniel. | 他不愿为任何人 我或者丹尼尔重提旧事 |
[18:14] | When he said no to Daniel? | 他拒绝丹尼尔后呢 |
[18:15] | The kid put a rock through our window. | 他往我家窗上砸了块石头 |
[18:18] | He was angry at the world. | 他厌世 |
[18:20] | But, taking it out on Carl. | 但却拿卡尔撒气 |
[18:27] | About their age? When your dad was in prison? | 你爸进监狱时也就他们那么大吧 |
[18:30] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[18:32] | Must’ve been rough. | 一定很艰辛吧 |
[18:34] | Never knowing if he was comin’ home. | 无从得知他还能不能回来 |
[18:36] | Well I thought it would be easier somehow | 不知为什么 我觉得如果我了解 |
[18:37] | if I knew the details of what he was going through. | 他究竟在经历什么 会让我好受些 |
[18:39] | – But Carl wouldn’t say. – He was trying to protect me. | -但卡尔不肯说 -他是想保护我 |
[18:43] | Pretty understanding for a guy who threw a rock at Carl’s house. | 你倒挺宽容啊 那怎么还拿石头砸他家窗户 |
[18:47] | Yeah, well that was awful. | 是啊 那么做是不太好 |
[18:49] | You take it any further? | 你还做什么别的了吗 |
[18:50] | Me being angry with Carl stopped with the rock. | 那块石头之后我就不生卡尔的气了 |
[18:52] | Yeah? Why? | 是吗 为什么 |
[18:54] | He caught me red handed, | 他把我抓了个正着 |
[18:56] | finally he gave me what I wanted. | 终于让我如愿以偿 |
[19:03] | You gonna pay to fix that? | 你要赔我的窗户吗 |
[19:04] | – Let go of me. – No, | -放开我 -不 |
[19:05] | you wanna talk, let’s talk. | 你想谈 那我们就谈谈 |
[19:08] | Go ahead. | 问啊 |
[19:09] | – We’re getting this over with. – Where’s my dad? | -我们把这事解决了 -我爸在哪里 |
[19:11] | – Still in prison in Hanoi. – Why? What did he do? | -还在河内的监狱 -为什么 他做了什么 |
[19:13] | He’s an American soldier. To the North Vietnamese that’s a crime. | 他是个美国士兵 对于北越人 那就是罪过 |
[19:17] | What’s it like there? The prison? | 那里什么样 监狱里 |
[19:23] | There’s not a lot to eat. | 没多少吃的 |
[19:25] | Water makes you sick. | 水会让你生病 |
[19:28] | Guards are monsters in human clothes. | 守卫都是衣冠禽兽 |
[19:31] | But your dad and the other guys, they have each other. | 但你爸和其他人 他们还有彼此 |
[19:35] | Can’t they just get together and break out of there? | 他们不能合力越狱吗 |
[19:37] | I mean my dad can take some Vietnamese guy. | 我爸肯定能打过几个越南人 |
[19:42] | Maybe he will. | 或许他会的 |
[19:44] | – Is he gonna live? – Yes. | -他会没事吗 -会的 |
[19:49] | Your dad’s one of the strongest people I’ve ever met. | 你爸是我见过的最坚强的人 |
[19:52] | If I had to trek in hell, he’s a guy I’d want by my side. | 如果我非得在地狱走一遭 肯定想与他结伴 |
[19:58] | He’s comin’ home to you. | 他会回到你身边的 |
[20:03] | You guys are brave. | 你们真勇敢 |
[20:05] | You are Carl. | 你很勇敢的 卡尔 |
[20:09] | I knew it. | 我知道 |
[20:11] | Your dad, he’s a hero. | 你爸爸 他是个英雄 |
[20:16] | Not me. | 我不是 |
[20:18] | I’m a coward. | 我是个懦夫 |
[20:24] | Coward? | 懦夫 |
[20:26] | Why would Carl say that about himself? | 卡尔为什么要那么说自己 |
[20:28] | It doesn’t make sense, right? | 完全说不通 是吧 |
[20:30] | Survived five years of being tortured. | 被折磨了五年的人啊 |
[20:32] | Humble guy. | 真谦虚 |
[20:34] | Or troubled. | 或者是有心事 |
[20:36] | Ever get the feeling he really meant that, Daniel? | 你有没有觉得那是他的真心话 丹尼尔 |
[20:38] | Saw him a few times after that. Talked to him about my dad. | 那之后我又见过他几次 跟他谈我爸爸的事 |
[20:40] | But every time I could always feel it. | 但每次我都能感觉到 |
[20:43] | Somethin’ was eatin’ him up. | 有些事令他感到愧疚 |
[20:47] | Carl Burton’s military service record. | 卡尔·波顿的服役记录 |
[20:49] | I don’t see anything in there | 我看不出那里面有什么 |
[20:50] | that could make the guy call himself a coward. | 能让他说自己是个懦夫 |
[20:52] | Awarded bronze star, purple heart. | 获得青铜星章 紫心勋章 |
[20:55] | Oh, this is it. He took early release. | 是这个 他提前释放了 |
[20:58] | What’s that. | 那是什么意思 |
[20:59] | It means he left the prison camp early. | 意思是他提早离开了战俘营 |
[21:00] | Thought you couldn’t leave. | 不是不能离开吗 |
[21:01] | Well, not under honorable circumstances. | 可以离开 但是方式很不体面 |
[21:03] | The code of conduct among POWs | 战俘之间的行为准则 |
[21:05] | is that the sickest and longest serving go first. | 是让病得最重或服役最长的士兵先走 |
[21:07] | But Carl wasn’t either of those. | 但卡尔两项都不符合 |
[21:08] | Then how does he get to the front of the line? | 那他是怎么插队的 |
[21:10] | Tells the VC guards what they want to hear, | 跟越共守卫说他们想听的话 |
[21:12] | lets ’em use ’em for propaganda. | 让他们拿来做宣传 |
[21:13] | That doesn’t sound like a gung-ho fighter pilot. | 那可不像个热血战斗机飞行员啊 |
[21:15] | – Why would he do that? – Why? | -他为什么那么做 -为什么 |
[21:17] | He’s sick of gettin’ beat nearly to death five years in a row, | 他厌倦了连续五年遭人毒打 |
[21:20] | misses family, he’s stowed in solitary. | 想念家人 被关禁闭 |
[21:24] | It’s hard to know what a code like that starts to mean at that point. | 到了那种时候 那些准则对你都没什么意义了 |
[21:27] | But a lot of guys did hang in. | 但很多人还是撑下去了 |
[21:28] | Yeah, hundreds of ’em and they would not have been fans of Carl’s. | 是啊 几百个 他们肯定不会喜欢卡尔 |
[21:31] | And they came home a week before Carl was killed. | 而且他们在卡尔被害一周前就回来了 |
[21:33] | End of March ’73, main group of POWs got back. | 73年3月底 大批战俘获释回家 |
[21:37] | Any of ’em come back to Philly? | 有人是回费城来了吗 |
[21:38] | A guy named Raitt from Antioch. | 安提俄克一个叫雷特的人 |
[21:41] | Roger Raitt, a Navy Commander? | 罗杰·雷特 海军司令 |
[21:43] | You know him? | 你认识他 |
[21:45] | I served with him. | 我曾跟他一起服役 |
[21:53] | Been a long time. | 好久不见啊 |
[21:55] | I’m not much for the reunions. | 我不怎么喜欢去参加聚会 |
[21:57] | Truth be told, I’m not either but | 说实话 我也是 |
[21:59] | working in the defense industry, | 但是干国防 |
[22:01] | – it pays to keep in touch. – Sure. | -保持联络是有好处的 -是啊 |
[22:04] | There’s one this Saturday, in Old City. | 这周六就有一次 在老城区 |
[22:06] | I can’t make small talk out of it, | 我不想去聊那些事 |
[22:07] | I’d rather just leave it behind. | 我宁可向前看 |
[22:08] | And here you are, carrying a gun every day. | 可你却每天配枪出行 |
[22:12] | That’s what I couldn’t revisit. | 这是我无法再做的事 |
[22:15] | Roger, I wanna talk to you about | 罗杰 我想跟你谈谈 |
[22:17] | a guy you were in prison with, Carl Burton? | 一个跟你们关在一起的人 卡尔·波顿 |
[22:20] | Wound up dead, shot. Right after you guys got back. | 他被人打死了 就在你们回来之后 |
[22:23] | I remember. | 我记得 |
[22:24] | Comin’ home it had to be hard to adjust. | 回家后肯定很难适应吧 |
[22:27] | It made me realize any day I wake up | 让我意识到 每天我醒来 |
[22:30] | with a doorknob on the inside of the door, it’s a good day. | 看到门把手是在屋里这一侧的 就是好的一天 |
[22:34] | Maybe someone else didn’t see it that way, | 或许有人不那么看 |
[22:37] | came back angry, wanting to settle a score? | 回来后满心愤怒 想找人算账 |
[22:40] | Everyone has a breaking point. | 人人都有受不了的时候 |
[22:42] | Carl reached his over there. | 卡尔在那边崩溃了 |
[22:44] | I didn’t respect it but I understood. | 我虽不尊敬他的做法 但也能理解 |
[22:47] | Hard to imagine all the POWs did. | 恐怕不是人人都能理解吧 |
[22:50] | We were like brothers, John, | 我们亲如兄弟 约翰 |
[22:51] | one of them went after Carl, I would’ve know. | 有人去找卡尔的麻烦 我会知道的 |
[22:53] | I’m talkin’ about a lot of soldiers | 那可是很多士兵啊 |
[22:54] | and a guy they thought was a traitor. | 而且他们认为他是个叛徒 |
[22:57] | We’d only been home a week and all of us already knew | 我们才回来一周 就已经知道 |
[23:01] | Carl’s worst punishment was living with what he did. | 卡尔最严厉的惩罚 是承担那件事的后果 |
[23:09] | Rex’s 51st bombing run. | 莱克斯第51次轰炸飞行 |
[23:11] | He gets hit. Ejects. | 他被击中 将自己弹射出去 |
[23:14] | Comes down outside Hanoi. | 在河内外沿降落 |
[23:16] | Spends a few hours hiding in a cave, | 在一个洞穴里藏了几个小时 |
[23:18] | trying to get up enough strength to move. | 想攒足力气走动 |
[23:20] | But when he hears a North Vietnamese patrol, | 但当他听到有北越军巡逻 |
[23:22] | he takes off on a broken leg, | 他拖着一条伤腿跑了出去 |
[23:25] | with only his pistol to hold off 20 guys chasing him. | 只拿着一把手枪抵挡20个追兵 |
[23:29] | For hours Rex dragged himself along just ahead of them. | 几个小时里 莱克斯勉强走在他们前头 |
[23:33] | Till he comes to this hollowed out tree and squeezes in. | 直到他走到一棵空心树前 钻了进去 |
[23:37] | How dare you. | 你好大胆 |
[23:40] | I’m here to pay my respects. | 我是来表示哀悼的 |
[23:42] | – How dare you sneak in here! – Mom, stop it! | -你怎么敢溜进来 -妈妈 别这样 |
[23:44] | You don’t know what this man did to your father, Daniel. | 你不知道这家伙对你爸做了什么 丹尼尔 |
[23:46] | Let’s calm down. We’re here for Rex. | 别激动 我们是为莱克斯而来 |
[23:49] | Rex wouldn’t want you here. | 莱克斯不会希望你到场的 |
[23:51] | You betrayed him. | 你背叛了他 |
[23:53] | Betrayed everyone. | 背叛了所有人 |
[23:55] | You’re a disgrace. | 你真丢人 |
[23:58] | – Daddy? – OK, Ned. | -爸爸 -好吧 奈德 |
[24:04] | I’m sorry, Ruth. | 对不起 鲁斯 |
[24:10] | Carl. | 卡尔 |
[24:13] | – I think it’s better if you don’t go to the reception. – Yeah. | -待会儿追思会你还是别去了 -好 |
[24:16] | I’ll tell the guys that… | 我会告诉大家… |
[24:17] | Tell them I died over there, Roger. | 告诉他们我死在那里了 罗杰 |
[24:20] | Tell them I’m already a ghost. | 告诉他们我是个鬼 |
[24:30] | Guys who stuck it out, resisted the most, | 那些撑下去 努力反抗的人 |
[24:33] | did better when we got home. | 回来之后过得更好 |
[24:35] | – The ones who gave in had a tougher time. – Yeah. | -而放弃的人则举步维艰 -是啊 |
[24:38] | How bad do you think it was for Carl? | 你觉得对卡尔来说有多糟 |
[24:39] | Bad enough I thought he’d kill himself. | 糟到我认为他会自杀的地步 |
[24:42] | The gun was found 5 feet away from his body. | 但那枪离他尸体有五英尺远 |
[24:45] | You remember how long it takes a man to die from a gut shot. | 你知道腹部中枪的人要多久才会死去 |
[24:48] | Might’ve crawled away after. | 可能是开枪之后爬远了 |
[24:51] | But who commits suicide by shooting themselves in the stomach? | 但谁会朝自己腹部开枪自杀啊 |
[24:55] | Guy aiming for his heart whose arms don’t work anymore. | 想瞄准心脏 但胳膊却不好使的人 |
[25:07] | Could be my last cheesesteak for a while. | 我大概有日子不能再吃芝士三明治了 |
[25:09] | Oh, yeah? | 是吗 |
[25:12] | – Julie’s talkin’ about tofu. – Lieutenant. | -朱莉说要我吃豆腐 -副队长 |
[25:14] | Miller, how are you doing? | 米勒 你还好吗 |
[25:16] | Just dropped a guy in lock up. | 刚送一个人收监 |
[25:17] | How’s the Burton case pannin’ out? | 波顿的案子怎么样了 |
[25:19] | Nick Veera, this is Kat Miller, | 尼克·维拉 这位是凯蒂·米勒 |
[25:21] | she’s the one that turned up the POW bracelets. | 是她发现了战俘手镯 |
[25:23] | – Good work – Thanks. | -干得好 -谢谢 |
[25:25] | So? | 怎么样 |
[25:26] | Well the latest is, Carl might have commited suicide. | 最新情况显示 卡尔可能是自杀 |
[25:29] | A close fire would have left lead residue on his clothes, right? | 近距离射击会在衣物上留下火药残留物吧 |
[25:32] | Labs checkin’. | 实验室在查呢 |
[25:34] | So, I hear you’re doin’ well over in narcotics. | 我听说你在缉毒组那边做得不错啊 |
[25:37] | Oh, good. I like it, so… | 挺好的 我挺喜欢的 |
[25:41] | Is that your long term area of interest? | 你一直对这个感兴趣吗 |
[25:45] | I never thought I’d be a cop in the first place | 我从没想过自己会当警察 |
[25:47] | so I’m game for whatever crops up. | 不管做什么我都愿意 |
[25:49] | I thought bein’ in blue was every girls’ dream. | 我以为当警察是每个女孩的梦想呢 |
[25:52] | You got somethin’ else on mind? | 你还考虑过做别的吗 |
[25:53] | It’s a long story. But, here I am. | 说来话长 但我来这里了 |
[25:56] | – My options are open. – That’s good to know. | -我有选择的权利 -那很好 |
[26:05] | Ken Westin copped to takin’ your dad’s bracelets. | 肯·威斯汀承认拿了你爸爸的手镯 |
[26:09] | Ken did? Really? | 肯吗 真的 |
[26:11] | Dumb reaction to your mom dropping him. | 因为你妈跟他分手而一时冲动 |
[26:14] | – Does that maybe make the drug scenario less likely? – Maybe. | -那或许就不是毒品的原因了吧 -或许 |
[26:18] | Ned, there was an incident at Rex Potter’s memorial. | 奈德 莱克斯·波特的追悼会上出了点事 |
[26:21] | – The day your father died. – Yeah, I remember it. | -就是你父亲死的那天 -我记得 |
[26:24] | The rest of the POWs took issue with your dad showing up. | 其他战俘看到你爸爸来 感到很不高兴 |
[26:27] | We could see it in their faces when we walked in. | 我们进门的时候能从他们脸上看出来 |
[26:29] | They hated him. | 他们恨他 |
[26:31] | Must’ve been pretty crushing for him. | 他一定很难过吧 |
[26:33] | One of those POWs thinks | 有一位战俘认为 |
[26:35] | maybe he couldn’t take it any longer. | 或许你爸是再也承受不住了 |
[26:40] | You mean killed himself? | 你是说自杀 |
[26:43] | However he died, Ned, | 不管他是怎么死的 奈德 |
[26:45] | it ain’t gonna change what he was to you. | 他对你来说都不会改变 |
[26:47] | I know a reason why he might have killed himself. | 我知道一个可能导致他自杀的理由 |
[26:50] | Me. What I did. | 是我 我做的事 |
[27:09] | Hey, buddy. | 伙计 |
[27:11] | I know it’s not fun to be around people yelling like that. | 我知道跟那些大吼大叫的人在一起很不好玩 |
[27:15] | It’s OK. | 没事的 |
[27:19] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[27:21] | Me, too, Daddy. | 我也爱你 爸爸 |
[27:24] | So you don’t mind if I eat all your ice cream? | 那你不介意我吃你的冰淇淋喽 |
[27:27] | You could have your own. | 你自己买一个吧 |
[27:31] | – So, what can I get you guys? – Bomb pop, please. | -你们要点什么 -棒棒冰 谢谢 |
[27:35] | Hey, I remember you, | 我记得你 |
[27:37] | you came in last summer with your dad. | 你去年夏天跟你爸爸来过 |
[27:39] | I’m his dad. Carl Burton, hi. | 我才是他爸爸 我叫卡尔·波顿 |
[27:42] | No, it was another man. A soldier. | 不 是另一个人 一个士兵 |
[27:46] | He’d been over in a Vietnam prison camp, | 他在越南战俘营待过 |
[27:48] | had some break your heart stories about it. | 有些闻者伤心的故事呢 |
[27:50] | I was not here last summer, I was… | 我去年夏天的时候还不在这里 |
[27:53] | that was not me. | 那不是我 |
[27:55] | I’m sure it was this little boy. Who was that? | 我确定就是这个小男孩 那人是谁啊 |
[28:00] | Who was it, Ned? | 是谁啊 奈德 |
[28:05] | Ken. | 肯 |
[28:07] | Ken was | 肯 |
[28:09] | not a POW. Did he use my name? | 不是战俘啊 他用我的名字了吗 |
[28:14] | – Told this lady he was your dad? – Yes. | -他跟这位女士说他是你父亲 -是的 |
[28:20] | And you let him. Why Ned? | 你也没纠正他 为什么 奈德 |
[28:26] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[28:34] | So Ken’s not just moving in on Carl’s wife while he’s gone. | 卡尔不在的时候肯不止接近他妻子 |
[28:38] | He’s pretending to be him. | 还装作是他 |
[28:40] | I was with him a few times when he did it. | 有几次他那么做的时候我也在场 |
[28:42] | Didn’t stop him. | 我没去阻止他 |
[28:43] | You were 7. | 你才7岁 |
[28:45] | But I knew it was wrong. | 但我知道那是不对的 |
[28:47] | So after your dad found out? | 你爸发现之后呢 |
[28:48] | Marched me home, went down to the basement for a while, then left. | 送我回了家 到地下室去了一阵 然后出去了 |
[28:53] | – Where was your mom? – Asleep. | -你妈在哪里 -睡觉 |
[28:56] | Has been ever since. | 那之后就一直浑浑噩噩 |
[28:59] | Lab results are back. | 实验室出结果了 |
[29:01] | No traces of lead on Carl’s clothes, that rules out suicide. | 卡尔衣物上没有铅 所以不是自杀 |
[29:05] | So even if that was what Carl was thinking that night, | 那么即使卡尔当晚有那个意思 |
[29:07] | someone got to him first. | 也有人先下手了 |
[29:09] | If it’s me, | 如果是我 |
[29:10] | I’m heading’ after the guy posin’ as my kid’s dad. | 肯定要去找那个装成我儿子爸爸的人算账 |
[29:12] | Says here Carl was at Rex Potter’s funeral reception. | 这里说卡尔的确去了莱克斯·波特的追思会 |
[29:16] | Even after Roger Raitt told him not to show. | 即使罗杰·雷特让他别去 |
[29:18] | Ken lived near the Potters, knew them. | 肯是波特夫妇的邻居 认识他们 |
[29:20] | So maybe he’s at the reception, | 那他或许也去了追思会 |
[29:22] | that’s where Carl goes lookin’ for him. | 卡尔就是去那里找他 |
[29:24] | After Carl gets something out of the basement, maybe a weapon, | 卡尔从地下室取了什么出来后 或许是武器 |
[29:26] | he goes to confront Ken. | 他去找肯对质了 |
[29:28] | And never makes it back. | 再没能回去 |
[29:32] | Westin spent four months in Texas in ’71, | 71年 威斯汀在德克萨斯待了4个月 |
[29:35] | waiting to be shipped out. | 等待出国 |
[29:36] | Had a nervous breakdown. Discharged before he left US soil. | 却精神崩溃 还没离开美国就退伍了 |
[29:40] | All right. | 好吧 |
[29:41] | You want us in there? | 要我们进去吗 |
[29:43] | I got it. | 我来吧 |
[29:49] | Sorry to pull you from work, Ken. | 抱歉打扰你工作了 肯 |
[29:52] | I needed to talk to you. | 我得跟你谈谈 |
[29:54] | Oh, sure. | 没问题 |
[29:56] | So, it sounds like Carl Burton | 卡尔·波顿回来之后 |
[29:59] | was comin’ apart at the seams when he got back. | 似乎渐渐崩溃了 |
[30:01] | Yeah, he seemed to have trouble adjusting. | 是啊 他好像很难适应 |
[30:04] | It’s tough to watch that. | 看着那种事很难 |
[30:06] | Guys over there snappin’ out. | 士兵们在那边承受不住 |
[30:08] | Gotta go home, get out of here. | 必须回家 离开那里 |
[30:11] | You can see they’re never gonna be the same. | 不难理解他们再也不会像以前那样了 |
[30:13] | – You know what I mean. – Oh, I do. | -这你理解的 -当然 |
[30:15] | Everybody going, “Crap, so-and-so lost it”. | 大家都说 “该死 那家伙撑不住了” |
[30:18] | But in the back of your mind, you’re thinking “I’m with him”. | 可你心里却想 “我也想出去” |
[30:22] | In your weak moments. | 肯定有内心脆弱的时候 |
[30:24] | You lay schemin’ at night. | 晚上躺在那里瞎想 |
[30:26] | Come close to doin’ some crazy stuff, yeah. | 差点就做出一些傻事 |
[30:31] | So Carl turns up at this funeral reception where he’s disinvited, | 卡尔跑去了他不受欢迎的追思会 |
[30:35] | what was he like? | 他当时怎么样 |
[30:36] | Antagonistic. | 他心怀敌意 |
[30:38] | He’s looking for trouble. | 一心想找茬 |
[30:41] | So you saw him the night he died? | 那么说他死的那晚你见着他了 |
[30:43] | That’s funny, ’cause you didn’t tell us that, | 有意思的是 你没那么说 |
[30:45] | you said you were at the bar | 你说你当时在酒吧 |
[30:47] | tossin’ back a few when Carl was shot. | 卡尔被害的时候正在喝酒 |
[30:53] | Yep. Went there after. | 是啊 那之后去的 |
[30:56] | OK, then. So that was a lie you told us? | 那好吧 那之前你是在撒谎吗 |
[31:00] | Not intentionally. | 不是有意的 |
[31:02] | It’s been a long time. | 毕竟时间很久了 |
[31:04] | Memory’s middle aged now. | 记忆力不行了 |
[31:07] | That’s OK. It’s a small time lie for you. | 没关系 对你来说就是个小谎言 |
[31:21] | Does that bother you Ken? | 你觉得心烦吗 肯 |
[31:24] | ‘Cause it doesn’t seem violent to me, I’m used to it. | 因为我不觉得它暴力 我已经习惯了 |
[31:28] | Maybe because guns have been a part of me since I was a kid. | 或许是因为我还是个孩子的时候就用惯了枪 |
[31:32] | I was 17 years old when I went over there. | 我去那边的时候才17岁 |
[31:36] | I thought it was a toy. | 我起初以为它是个玩具 |
[31:39] | Until I watched a few men die slowly. | 直到我看到几个人慢慢死去 |
[31:44] | But you know what I’m talking about. | 但这你都理解的 |
[31:48] | What this does. | 也知道它的威力 |
[31:53] | Not because you’re a soldier, because we know you weren’t. | 倒不是因为你是个士兵 我们知道你不是 |
[31:59] | Ah, Lieutenant. | 副队长 |
[32:08] | How long did Carl bleed? | 卡尔流了多长时间的血 |
[32:10] | This is serious! | 别打马虎眼 |
[32:13] | How long did Carl bleed? | 卡尔流了多长时间的血 |
[32:19] | I could never. | 我绝不会那么做的 |
[32:23] | In extreme circumstances, you learn about human nature. | 在极端的情况下 就会知道人性的本质 |
[32:27] | But what kind of person would pretend to be a POW? | 但什么样的人才会装成是战俘 |
[32:35] | I’d like a lawyer. | 我要律师 |
[32:36] | Why? What did you do? | 为什么 你做了什么 |
[32:38] | I didn’t do anything to Carl. | 我没对卡尔做任何事 |
[32:40] | Well you took what belonged to him | 你偷走了卡尔的东西 |
[32:41] | and walked around like it was yours. | 当做是你自己的到处招摇 |
[32:43] | Do you really think someone who had a nervous breakdown at Fort Hood | 你真觉得 一个在胡德堡就精神崩溃的人 |
[32:47] | would survive five years in the Hanoi Hilton? | 能在”河内希尔顿”活五年吗 |
[32:53] | It’s a bad lie you told. | 你的谎言很糟糕 |
[32:55] | I know. | 我知道 |
[32:58] | I think I may have a disease. | 我想我可能有点问题 |
[33:00] | You tell people you’re a racecar driver, a brain surgeon. | 你哪怕骗人说你是赛车选手 脑科医生都行 |
[33:05] | Not a POW. | 别说你是战俘 |
[33:13] | Now talk about that night. | 说说那晚的事 |
[33:16] | – Carl confronted you at that reception. – Yes. | -卡尔去追思会找你了 -对 |
[33:19] | And what did you do? | 你做了什么 |
[33:22] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[33:24] | Got called out. | 被他骂了 |
[33:31] | I didn’t have much time, after I parachuted down | 我没有多少时间了 我降落之后 |
[33:34] | I had to start my escape on a busted leg. | 我得想办法逃命 腿上还带着伤 |
[33:37] | – I hear you wanna be me. – Excuse me? | -听说你想做我 -什么 |
[33:40] | Well, might as well take these. | 把这些也拿走吧 |
[33:42] | Use my name, my wife, my kid. | 用我的名字 我老婆 我儿子 |
[33:45] | So now you got everything that means a damn thing to me. | 这些对我毫无意义的东西都归你了 |
[33:47] | Carl, this is akward. | 卡尔 这很尴尬 |
[33:50] | You have something wrong with you, you know that? | 你这人真是有毛病 你知道吗 |
[33:55] | Well that’s the pot callin’ the kettle black. | 真是五十步笑百步 |
[33:58] | – You’re a fraud. – Daniel, I’m sorry. | -你是个骗子 -丹尼尔 对不起 |
[34:00] | Hey Carl, let’s play a game. | 卡尔 我们玩个游戏吧 |
[34:04] | This is a grenade. And you’re you. | 假装这是个手榴弹 你还是你 |
[34:11] | – Daniel. – Get away from me. | -丹尼尔 -离我远点 |
[34:31] | And that’s how you got the bracelets. | 你就是这么拿到了手镯 |
[34:34] | A few minutes later, | 几分钟之后 |
[34:36] | Daniel left the house, | 丹尼尔离开了家 |
[34:39] | went after Carl. | 去追卡尔了 |
[34:43] | I told your detective the kid was a problem. | 我跟你的探员说了 那孩子是个麻烦 |
[34:47] | Yeah, well You’re a real solid judge of character, Ken. | 是啊 你也有资格去评判他人 肯 |
[35:02] | You found out the truth that day, huh, Daniel. | 你那天得知了真相 丹尼尔 |
[35:04] | – What truth? – About Carl. | -什么真相 -关于卡尔 |
[35:07] | Wasn’t the guy you thought. | 他不是你想的那样 |
[35:08] | He was, underneath. | 他内心是啊 |
[35:11] | Hearing about early release didn’t change that. | 听说他提前释放并不能改变什么 |
[35:13] | So why the big scene at the reception? | 那追思会上为什么跟他闹 |
[35:15] | You were real keyed up. | 你当时很激动 |
[35:16] | – Giving Carl what for. – Called him a fraud. | -跟卡尔叫板 -说他是骗子 |
[35:18] | Look, Vietnam was complicated. | 越南的事很复杂 |
[35:21] | The POWs are getting tortured | 那些战俘在遭受折磨 |
[35:22] | and all they hear from America is that this war’s a mistake. | 而他们听到美国这边却说战争是个错误 |
[35:26] | I get it. I get Carl throwing in the towel. | 我懂的 我理解卡尔的放弃 |
[35:29] | See, that’s interesting but that’s what an adult thinks. | 这很有意思 但这是大人的想法 |
[35:33] | Then what’s a 15 year old who just lost his dad think? | 可一个刚失去父亲15岁的少年会怎么想 |
[35:35] | That Carl abandoned Rex Potter to die. | 他认为卡尔丢下莱克斯·波特 不顾他死活 |
[35:38] | And he runs home with his tail between his legs | 他夹着尾巴跑回来了 |
[35:40] | while your dad was still takin’ it. | 你爸还在那边继续承受 |
[35:41] | – Busted limbs, broken teeth. – Don’t talk about my dad. | -肋骨被打断 牙被打掉 -别说我爸爸 |
[35:48] | You don’t know what it was like for him. | 你们不知道他遭受了什么 |
[35:52] | But Carl did. | 但卡尔知道 |
[35:54] | And he still left him there. | 他还是把他扔在了那里 |
[35:57] | I got one letter from my dad | 我只收到了我爸爸的一封信 |
[35:58] | but the government blacked it out halfway. | 但是被政府涂黑了一半 |
[36:01] | He took the time to write me and they blacked it out. | 他花时间给我写信 却被他们涂黑了 |
[36:06] | I thought I could get the black off. | 我以为能把黑色弄掉 |
[36:10] | I put it in water. | 我把它放在水里 |
[36:14] | The only letter he sent. | 那是他寄来的唯一信件 |
[36:20] | I just wanted to know him. | 我只是想了解他 |
[36:26] | He was gone a long time. | 他走了很久 |
[36:29] | I thought that Carl could help me. | 我以为卡尔能帮我 |
[36:31] | Fill in the gap. | 帮你了解他 |
[36:34] | And he was right. | 但他是对的 |
[36:39] | I didn’t wanna know. | 我并不想知道 |
[36:59] | You wanna just follow me or do you wanna talk? | 你就想跟着我 还是要跟我谈谈 |
[37:01] | I wanna ask you some things. | 我有问题问你 |
[37:04] | Are you stoned? | 你嗑药了吗 |
[37:09] | Do not get into this. | 别用这东西 |
[37:11] | – This is bad news. – Shut up. | -这对你不好 -闭嘴 |
[37:14] | This time we’re talkin’ and you’re gonna answer me for real. | 这次我们谈 你要如实回答我 |
[37:17] | After you left today the other POWs told me that you gave up. | 你今天离开之后 其他战俘说你放弃了 |
[37:21] | Said things you should be ashamed of and then left my dad to die. | 说了些你该为之羞耻的事 不顾我爸的死活 |
[37:24] | Is that true? | 是真的吗 |
[37:31] | Is it true, Carl? | 是真的吗 卡尔 |
[37:36] | I left the prison. | 我离开了监狱 |
[37:39] | And your dad was still there. | 而你爸爸还在那里 |
[37:40] | You left him, all his friends said it. | 你撇下了他 他的朋友都那么说 |
[37:42] | I didn’t want anything to happen to him. | 我并不想看到他有事 |
[37:44] | But I had to go home. | 但我得回家 |
[37:47] | They played you on a loudspeaker in prison | 他们在监狱的扩音器上放你的话 |
[37:49] | and everyone heard you say that the war was wrong. | 所有人都听到你说战争是错的 |
[37:51] | You said they were war criminals and that the Vietnamese saved you! | 你说他们是战犯 越南人救了你 |
[37:54] | I said things I didn’t mean because I wanted to get home! | 我说了违心的话 因为我想回家 |
[37:56] | Why? Why couldn’t you do it like my dad? | 为什么 你为什么不能像我爸那样 |
[37:58] | Because they broke me! | 因为他们击溃了我 |
[38:00] | They chained us up. | 他们把我们绑起来 |
[38:02] | They kicked our teeth in, they killed our friends. | 他们踢断我们的牙齿 杀害我们的朋友 |
[38:05] | That’s what they did. | 他们就那样 |
[38:10] | To my dad? | 对我爸爸 |
[38:12] | To all of us. | 对我们所有人 |
[38:15] | And I couldn’t do it one more day. | 我再也不能承受下去了 |
[38:17] | I wanted to see my wife, my son. | 我想见我妻子 我儿子 |
[38:23] | You saying my dad didn’t want to see me? | 那我爸爸不想见我吗 |
[38:25] | – Daniel, put that down. – Answer me! | -丹尼尔 把那放下 -回答我 |
[38:27] | You dad was crazy about you! | 你爸想你想得发狂 |
[38:28] | Why didn’t he come home then? | 那他为什么不回家 |
[38:30] | Because he wouldn’t give in. | 因为他不肯放弃 |
[38:32] | He was the toughest guy I ever met. | 他是我见过的最坚强的人 |
[38:34] | He could stick it out and I couldn’t. | 他能撑下去 我做不到 |
[38:40] | What if they were breaking his arms and kicking his teeth, | 如果他们正在打断他的胳膊 踢碎他的牙齿 |
[38:43] | while he heard you saying that stuff over the loudspeaker? | 他却听到扩音器上 你的那些话呢 |
[38:45] | Daniel! | 丹尼尔 |
[38:46] | He heard you say he was wrong! And he wasn’t! He wasn’t! | 他听到你说他是错的 他没错 他没错 |
[38:56] | Carl, I think I hit you bad. | 卡尔 我好像伤你很重 |
[39:03] | Don’t be here, go! It’s OK! | 别待在这里 走吧 没事的 |
[39:05] | Carl, I didn’t mean it! | 卡尔 我不是有意的 |
[39:07] | Go! Run! | 走 跑啊 |
[39:47] | 歌曲:”If you could read my mind” 歌手:Gordon Lightfoot |