时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:23] | Never can get enough girls for all the shifts. | 这里一直人手短缺 |
[00:26] | And heaven knows, | 天知道 |
[00:27] | we have to work 24 hours a day for victory. | 必须一天工作24小时才能打赢这场战争 |
[00:31] | Sure. | 当然 |
[00:33] | They’re a real nice bunch. You’ll see. | 她们情同手足 你以后就知道了 |
[00:36] | Well, this here’s Martha. | 这位是玛莎 |
[00:37] | Martha, meet Alice Miller. | 玛莎 这位是爱丽丝·米勒 |
[00:39] | Hi there, joining the line? | 你好 来工作的吗 |
[00:41] | I suppose. | 是的 |
[00:42] | Husband overseas? | 你丈夫上战场了吗 |
[00:44] | Watch it, girls. | 小心点 姑娘们 |
[00:45] | Goodness. | 力气好大啊 |
[00:46] | Better get that girl a pair of slacks. | 快给这姑娘发套工装吧 |
[00:49] | That’s Fannie. | 那是范尼 |
[00:53] | Dottie, this the new girl? | 朵蒂 她就是新来的女孩吗 |
[00:55] | Yes, sir. My neighbor Alice. | 是的 先生 我的邻居爱丽丝 |
[00:57] | Know how to work a vertical lathe. | 知道怎么操作立式车床吗 |
[00:59] | I’ve never worked a day in my life. | 我从没工作过 |
[01:01] | Oh, it’s no tougher than a sewing machine, you’ll see. | 跟用缝纫机一样简单 你以后就知道了 |
[01:06] | – What is it? – Air raid siren. | -怎么回事 -防空警报 |
[01:07] | It’s just practice. | 演习而已 |
[01:09] | If it was the real thing, you would a heard the bombs already. | 如果真有空袭 炸弹早都落下来了 |
[01:53] | 爱丽丝·米勒 编号s43-078 1943年9月 | |
[02:12] | Lil. | 阿莉 |
[02:13] | Hey, Dana. | 丹娜 |
[02:15] | Are these the Rosie the Riveters? | 她们就是传说中的”铆工露斯”吧 |
[02:17] | Give them the parts, | 把零部件交给她们 |
[02:17] | a few weeks, they can build you a war plane. | 用不了几周 就能造出飞机来 |
[02:20] | How’s your story going? | 你的报道进展如何 |
[02:22] | Well, this was the assignment nobody wanted, | 没人愿意接这差事 |
[02:24] | but my great aunt was one of the workers and | 但我姑祖母当年也是女工 |
[02:26] | it turns out, there is a bigger story here. | 结果还真在这里发现了个好故事 |
[02:29] | Martha, come meet Lilly Rush. | 玛莎 这位是阿莉·拉什 |
[02:35] | You’re the lady detective. | 你就是那位女探员 |
[02:38] | Nice to meet you. | 幸会 |
[02:39] | Martha worked with my aunt Alice. | 玛莎当年跟我姑祖母爱丽丝一起工作 |
[02:41] | A real nice gal. | 那姑娘很和善 |
[02:43] | Quiet as a mouse at first, but couldn’t have been sweeter. | 起初她很安静 但很讨人喜欢 |
[02:46] | Terrible, what happened. | 她的死太遗憾了 |
[02:49] | The official story was she died in a fall. | 官方记录说她死于高空坠落 |
[02:52] | But here’s the thing. | 但有这么一件事 |
[02:54] | The night they say she fell was my last night on the job. | 她出事那晚 是我最后一次值夜班 |
[02:57] | Before I left, I asked the owner where Alice was, | 我走之前曾问过厂主 爱丽丝在哪里 |
[03:01] | wanting to say goodbye. | 我想跟她道别 |
[03:03] | And? | 然后呢 |
[03:05] | He told me she quit, wasn’t working there anymore. | 他说她辞职了 已经不在那里干活了 |
[03:08] | But they found the body the next day at the factory | 但他们第二天却发现了她的尸体 |
[03:10] | in her work clothes. | 还穿着厂子的工作服 |
[03:12] | Could your memory be mistaken? | 你会不会记错了呢 |
[03:16] | You get old, you start forgetting things, | 人老了 开始记忆衰退 |
[03:18] | you don’t start making them up. | 但记忆不会无中生有 |
[03:22] | What was the owner’s name? | 厂主叫什么名字 |
[03:24] | Henry Walker. Mean as a snake. | 亨利·沃克 一个蛇蝎心肠的人 |
[03:26] | And a drinker. | 还是个酒鬼 |
[03:28] | I could smell liquor on his breath that night. | 当晚 我闻到了他嘴里的酒气 |
[03:30] | The guy was hiding something. | 那家伙心里一定有鬼 |
[03:32] | Like, maybe Alice didn’t fall. | 比如爱丽丝不是高空坠落 |
[03:35] | Maybe she was pushed. | 也许她是被人推下去的 |
[04:18] | 60-year-old case? | 60年前的旧案 |
[04:19] | Talk about your ancients. | 老黄历了 |
[04:21] | Who brought it to you, Lil? | 谁给你的这个案子 阿莉 |
[04:22] | Dana Hunter. | 丹娜·亨特 |
[04:23] | Her great aunt died in a factory accident, 1943. | 她姑祖母在1943年死于一起工厂意外 |
[04:26] | Is that that pushy reporter? | 是那个让人头疼的记者吗 |
[04:28] | Yeah, the pretty one, covers court. | 对 是个美女 报道庭审案件 |
[04:29] | She’s doing a story on women of World war II, | 她在做一个关于二战劳工妇女的报道 |
[04:31] | met some of the factory girls who knew her aunt. | 见了很多认识她姑祖母的女工 |
[04:33] | I don’t like that Dana. | 我不喜欢这个丹娜 |
[04:34] | Yeah, that’s ’cause she covered the Chimayo job, | 那是因为她报道奇马约那宗案子 |
[04:36] | kept writing you had no new leads. | 一直说你没有任何新进展 |
[04:40] | Truth hurts, man. | 真话太伤人了 |
[04:44] | Anyway, now she’s thinking this accident, | 总之她觉得这个事故 |
[04:46] | looks more like homicide. | 更像是凶杀 |
[04:47] | Let’s say it was. | 即便如此 |
[04:48] | Doer’s probably dead. Whole thing’s a formality. | 道尔可能已经死了 例行公事罢了 |
[04:50] | You just don’t want to drive out to records and storage. | 你只是不想去翻箱倒柜查档案 |
[04:53] | 60 years, huh? | 60年了 |
[04:54] | 61. | 61年 |
[04:56] | Skip it. No one cares. | 别管它了 没人在乎 |
[04:58] | What’s with you? | 你怎么了 |
[04:59] | He’s just happy. It’s his anniversary. | 他高兴呢 周年纪念日 |
[05:01] | You wanna KO this one, boss? | 要叫停这宗案子吗 老大 |
[05:03] | Too old to matter? | 时间太久 没意义了 |
[05:05] | No, take a drive. See what’s there. | 不 开车过去看看吧 |
[05:08] | Great, boss. Thanks. | 太好了 老大 多谢 |
[05:15] | Do we really need this police telegraph? | 我们要这些警察电报有用吗 |
[05:17] | Everything we can get. | 有什么要什么 |
[05:19] | There’s probably like one page. | 估计也就一页 |
[05:21] | We can blow it up. | 积少成多嘛 |
[05:22] | 60-year-old case, we’re not gonna need much help. | 60年前的案子 我们不需要太多帮助 |
[05:26] | What does the factory report say? | 工厂的报告怎么写的 |
[05:27] | Accidental death. | 意外死亡 |
[05:29] | Impact from the fall, broke her neck, | 坠落撞击 造成颈部骨折 |
[05:30] | but..hmm, this is interesting. | 这个有点意思 |
[05:33] | Guess who found her body. | 猜猜是谁发现的尸体 |
[05:36] | Uh, I give up. | 猜不到 |
[05:37] | Henry Walker. | 亨利·沃克 |
[05:39] | The mean drunk. | 那个恶毒的醉鬼 |
[05:40] | The mean drunk who told Martha | 就是这个恶毒的醉鬼告诉玛莎 |
[05:41] | Alice didn’t work there anymore. | 爱丽丝已经辞职了 |
[05:44] | September, ’43. | 1943年9月 |
[05:47] | Telegraph from the 39th district. | 第39警区的电报 |
[05:50] | Three pages. | 三页 |
[05:51] | Alice Miller, age 22, | 爱丽丝·米勒 22岁 |
[05:53] | reported missing by husband, Nelson, 11:20 in the evening. | 她丈夫尼尔森半夜11点20分报告她失踪 |
[05:57] | He found two whiskey glasses on the kitchen table | 他回家后发现厨房台面上 |
[05:59] | when he came home, but no Alice. | 有两个酒杯 但爱丽丝不在 |
[06:02] | She was partying with someone? | 她在和谁喝酒吗 |
[06:03] | Henry Walker had liqour on his breath that night. | 亨利·沃克当晚嘴里有酒气 |
[06:06] | Drinking buddies. | 与君共饮 |
[06:07] | Or more. | 或还有别的节目 |
[06:09] | Problem is, Walker’s dead, 1988. | 问题是 沃克在1988年就死了 |
[06:13] | Is anyone alive? | 有当事人还活着吗 |
[06:16] | Alice’s husband. | 爱丽丝的丈夫 |
[06:17] | In East Falls. | 住在东福尔斯区 |
[06:23] | I never understood those whiskey glasses. | 我一直不明白为什么会有酒杯 |
[06:25] | Alice and I were teatotallers. | 我和爱丽丝是喝茶的人 |
[06:28] | You were out that evening? | 你那天晚上出去了吗 |
[06:29] | Seeing about getting my old job back. | 去看看能不能找回以前的工作 |
[06:31] | Got home and don’t I found those two glasses on the table. | 回到家就发现台面上有两个酒杯 |
[06:34] | What time was that? | 那时候几点 |
[06:35] | Oh, eight or so. | 八点左右吧 |
[06:37] | I got worried enough by 11 to notify the police. | 11点时我实在太担心了 就报了警 |
[06:40] | You didn’t know she had gone to the factory? | 你不知道她去了工厂吗 |
[06:42] | She quit that place the day I got back from the war. | 我从战场回来那天她就辞职了 |
[06:44] | So you must have been surprised they found her there. | 那他们在那里发现了她 你一定很吃惊 |
[06:47] | I’ve only been back a few days, | 我刚回来没几天 |
[06:49] | I figured cross wires. | 我估计可能是出错了 |
[06:51] | Maybe they got her to come back for one last shift. | 也许工厂让她回去最后值一班 |
[06:54] | She didn’t like the job? | 她不喜欢那工作吗 |
[06:55] | Oh, she did. | 喜欢 |
[06:56] | But she was a curtains girl. | 但她的围裙从不离身 |
[06:58] | What’s that? | 什么意思 |
[06:59] | Saying was when it’s curtains for the axis, | 就是说如同窗帘总是挂在轴上 |
[07:02] | it’s lace curtains for her. | 她的围裙总是穿在身上 |
[07:04] | So when the war was done, back to the kitchen? | 战争一结束 她就要回到厨房吗 |
[07:08] | I know it’s out of fashion now but that’s what Alice wanted. | 我知道现在世道变了 但爱丽丝就喜欢那样 |
[07:12] | I blame myself for sending her to work. | 我很后悔当初让她去工作 |
[07:14] | It was my idea. | 是我的主意 |
[07:22] | Tomatoes do real well. So do radishes. | 西红柿长势很好 小萝卜也不错 |
[07:25] | It’s so difficult preparing Nelson’s meals. | 给尼尔森做饭真难 |
[07:28] | We won’t eat that variety meat. | 我们坚决不吃牛什 |
[07:29] | Our boys need the fresh cuts more than we do. | 我们的孩子比我们更需要新鲜食品 |
[07:33] | Take a look, Nelson. | 看看吧 尼尔森 |
[07:35] | I planted our own victory garden. | 我在耕种胜利菜园 |
[07:38] | Swell. | 很好 |
[07:41] | Alice. | 爱丽丝 |
[07:48] | Oh, no. | 不会吧 |
[07:50] | We knew this was coming. | 我们都知道这是迟早的事 |
[07:52] | What do I do? | 我该怎么办 |
[07:53] | Write me every day, | 每天给我写信 |
[07:55] | pray for victory. | 祈祷胜利的到来 |
[07:57] | It’s his duty, Alice. | 这是他的使命 爱丽丝 |
[07:59] | I know. I know. | 我明白 |
[08:02] | Look here, kitten. | 看这个 亲爱的 |
[08:03] | Women wanted. | 征召妇女 |
[08:04] | – Important war work. – No. | -重要的战争工作 -不要 |
[08:06] | No, I couldn’t possibly. | 不行 我干不了 |
[08:08] | A lot of girls are working for victory. | 很多女孩都为了战争胜利而工作 |
[08:11] | I’m too shy. | 我太怕生了 |
[08:12] | I’m not cut out for that kind of thing. | 我适应不了那种生活 |
[08:14] | It’ll help pass time, | 这样更能打发时间 |
[08:16] | bring me home faster. | 一眨眼我就回家了 |
[08:18] | I’ll take you to the factory Monday, introduce you to my boss. | 我周一带你去工厂 向我的老板引荐你 |
[08:21] | Kitten, give it a try. | 宝贝 试试吧 |
[08:24] | You might surprise yourself. | 可能会有意外惊喜 |
[08:32] | I should have listened to her. | 我应该听她的意见 |
[08:34] | She was too delicate for that kind of thing. | 那工作对她来说太繁重了 |
[08:36] | Ever meet Alice’s boss, Henry Walker? | 见过爱丽丝的老板吗 叫亨利·沃克的 |
[08:40] | No, never did. | 没有 从没见过 |
[08:41] | Know any of her factory friends? | 认识她在工厂的朋友吗 |
[08:43] | Just our neighbor Dottie who got her the job. | 只认识帮她介绍工作的邻居朵蒂 |
[08:45] | Lives right over there. | 就住在那边 |
[08:59] | I was Mr. Walker’s secretary. | 我是沃克先生的秘书 |
[09:02] | Good man? | 他人好吗 |
[09:03] | He was a Christian man, | 他是个基督徒 |
[09:05] | but he was in a lot of pain. | 但生活在痛苦中 |
[09:07] | He lost two sons to the war. | 他有两个儿子死在战场上 |
[09:10] | Is that why he drank? | 所以他才酗酒的吗 |
[09:13] | He wasn’t a saint. | 他不是个圣人 |
[09:15] | Think he and Alice could had a drink together before work that night? | 那天晚班前 他和爱丽丝会不会在一起喝酒 |
[09:18] | Heavens, no. | 肯定不会 |
[09:20] | He was the boss, she was… | 他是老板 而她… |
[09:21] | She was just a factory girl. | 她只是个女工而已 |
[09:25] | It’s probably be done before. | 也许有过先例 |
[09:28] | More likely, it was one of her new friends. | 最有可能的 是她的一个新朋友 |
[09:31] | What new friends? | 什么新朋友 |
[09:32] | Alice has started to run with the fast crowd at Brill, | 爱丽丝跟工厂里的一群疯丫头走得很近 |
[09:36] | and they were known to hit the sauce. | 她们酗酒是出了名的 |
[09:38] | So was her boss. | 她老板也一样 |
[09:40] | Once again, Mr. Walker and Alice were not friendly. | 再说一遍 沃克先生和爱丽丝并不亲近 |
[09:46] | What was the problem? | 你在隐瞒什么 |
[09:49] | A secretary doesn’t tell secrets. | 秘书从不透露老板的秘密 |
[09:52] | Mr. Walker’s dead, Dottie. | 沃克先生已经死了 朵蒂 |
[09:54] | You can’t hurt him. | 但说无妨 |
[09:56] | Alice did come to me one day. | 爱丽丝有一天确实来找过我 |
[10:01] | 布雷尔飞机制造厂 周薪 | |
[10:02] | I say it’s rotten we girls getting the lowest wages. | 我感觉给女孩最低的工资是在欺负人 |
[10:06] | Why don’t you write to Mrs. Roosevelt about it? | 去给罗斯福太太写信倾诉吧 |
[10:07] | She likes to meddle into unpopular causes. | 她喜欢管这些没用的闲事 |
[10:11] | Excuse me, Dottie. | 打搅了 朵蒂 |
[10:13] | You should be on a poster with that perfect wave. | 你这发型真完美 可以上海报了 |
[10:16] | Am I intruding? | 我打断你们了吗 |
[10:19] | I’ll leave you girls. | 你们谈吧 |
[10:21] | Stay away from that one. | 离她远点 |
[10:23] | She’s got a past. | 她过去不光彩 |
[10:25] | So, how are you doing out on the floor? | 在车间工作感觉如何 |
[10:28] | I’ve doubled my pace on the drill press. | 我操作钻床的速度快了一倍 |
[10:30] | Well, that’s fine. | 很不错 |
[10:32] | I’ve noticed something, Dottie, the last few weeks. | 朵蒂 过去几周我发现了些问题 |
[10:35] | What’s that? | 什么问题 |
[10:37] | We’re missing boxes of rivets. | 我们少了几箱铆钉 |
[10:39] | Every third day, we’re short one. | 每三天就少一箱 |
[10:41] | You must be counting wrong. | 你一定是数错了 |
[10:42] | No, I’m sure of it. | 不 我很确定 |
[10:45] | I thought I’d tell Mr. Walker. | 我觉得应该向沃克先生汇报 |
[10:46] | I wouldn’t. | 换我就不会 |
[10:47] | Someone’s stealing materials like that, it’s awfully unpatriotic. | 这种偷窃原材料的行为 实在太不爱国了 |
[10:50] | Alice, listen to me, now. | 爱丽丝 听我说 |
[10:52] | Don’t mention it to Mr. Walker. | 别跟沃克先生提这件事 |
[10:57] | It sounds like something the boss would want to know. | 这样的事 老板一定想知道 |
[11:00] | Unless he was the one lifting the boxes? | 除非是他监守自盗 |
[11:03] | Mr. Walker wasn’t a saint. | 沃克先生不是圣人 |
[11:06] | What can you remember from the night Alice died, Dottie? | 你还能记起爱丽丝出事那天的情况吗 朵蒂 |
[11:09] | Big event like that probably stayed in your mind pretty good. | 如此重大的事件一定很难忘记 |
[11:14] | I do recall that | 我的确记得 |
[11:16] | Mr.Walker disappeared for quite a while that night. And… | 那天晚上沃克先生消失了一段时间 |
[11:22] | that was unusual. | 这不太寻常 |
[11:24] | Were you there when he found Alice, the next day? | 第二天 他发现爱丽丝的时候你在场吗 |
[11:28] | No. | 没在 |
[11:29] | We worked the night shift that evening. | 那晚我们上的是夜班 |
[11:32] | He shouldn’t have been there in the morning. | 他早上不应该在那里 |
[11:48] | My dad worked his tail off for Brill. | 我父亲为布雷尔工厂鞠躬尽瘁 |
[11:51] | If he was there that morning, | 那天早上他在厂里 |
[11:53] | it’s cuz he stayed all night doing the books. | 是因为整夜都在那里笼账 |
[11:56] | He do that a lot? | 他总是如此吗 |
[11:57] | Pull all nighters? | 熬夜加班 |
[11:59] | Whatever it took. | 不顾一切 |
[12:00] | What about drinking on the job? | 他上班时喝酒是怎么回事 |
[12:02] | Was that a regular thing? | 他经常这样吗 |
[12:04] | He was a drunk his whole life. | 他一辈子都是酒鬼 |
[12:06] | Died of liver failure. | 死于肝衰竭 |
[12:09] | How about Alice Miller? | 知道爱丽丝·米勒的事吗 |
[12:10] | Heard she and your dad were getting along. | 听说她和你父亲关系不错 |
[12:12] | Look, fellars. | 伙计们 听好 |
[12:15] | I was 17. | 我那年17岁 |
[12:18] | I was thinking about other things. | 哪会关心这些事 |
[12:21] | You remember accusing him of skimming supplies? | 你记得她指责你父亲私吞原料吗 |
[12:25] | You know about that? | 你们知道这件事了 |
[12:26] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[12:29] | My older brothers died in the war. | 我的两个哥哥死在战场上 |
[12:35] | Dad felt he was owed some payback. | 我爸觉得自己应该得到些补偿 |
[12:38] | That justified the pilfering? | 以偷窃作为补偿吗 |
[12:42] | Alice shouldn’t have brought that up to him. | 爱丽丝真不应该跟他提这件事 |
[12:44] | So she did confront him with it. | 那她确实跟他当面对质了 |
[12:56] | Want to go to the show today? | 今天想去看电影吗 |
[12:57] | There’s something new on. | 有新片上映 |
[12:59] | Yeah, what? | 是吗 什么片 |
[13:00] | Think it’s called Casablanca. | 好像叫《北非谍影》 |
[13:02] | Take a girl your own age, someone from school. | 带你同龄人去吧 还在读书的那种 |
[13:05] | Oh, they’re all bunch of dumb klutz. | 她们都是些书呆子 |
[13:08] | Inventory. | 库存 |
[13:10] | 14 propellars, assembled, geared, and inspected. | 14个螺旋桨 组装 连接 检查完毕 |
[13:13] | 16 for me, dad. | 我做了16个 老爸 |
[13:15] | Keep ’em coming. | 加油干 |
[13:17] | Um, Mr.Walker, can I have a moment? | 沃克先生 能单独谈谈吗 |
[13:23] | It’s about the blind rivets. | 是空心铆钉的事 |
[13:27] | Yes? | 怎么了 |
[13:29] | They disappear with regularity, both the Cherry and Dupont. | 切利和杜邦公司的货全都有规律的丢失 |
[13:34] | I know what you’re doing. | 我知道你的猫腻 |
[13:37] | What? | 什么 |
[13:38] | That you’re involved with side businesses. | 你这是损公肥私 |
[13:40] | – You wanna be fired on the spot, Ms. Miller? – No, | -你想要我就地解雇你吗 米勒太太 -不 |
[13:44] | I want something else. | 我另有所需 |
[13:47] | I need help. | 我需要帮助 |
[13:51] | There’s someone named Ivan. | 有一个叫埃文的人 |
[13:58] | Who’s Ivan? | 埃文是谁 |
[14:00] | Alice had secrets. | 爱丽丝的秘密 |
[14:01] | No guesses on what that all meant? | 你对这事没有好奇心吗 |
[14:04] | All’s I know is she thanked him for his help. | 我只知道 她感谢了我父亲的帮助 |
[14:10] | And said she hoped to heaven her husband didn’t find out. | 而且她祈求上天不让她丈夫发现 |
[14:16] | So, who’s Ivan? | 那么 埃文是谁 |
[14:18] | Her boyfriend? | 她男友吗 |
[14:20] | What kind of help did Alice need? | 爱丽丝需要的是何种帮助呢 |
[14:22] | Whatever it was, she didn’t want the husband knowing. | 不管是什么 她都不希望丈夫知道 |
[14:24] | Sounds naughty. | 好像不守妇道 |
[14:26] | Why would she go to the factory owner for help? | 她为什么去找厂主寻求帮助 |
[14:28] | He had access to something on the side. | 他有秘密渠道 |
[14:30] | Underground. | 黑市 |
[14:31] | He still a suspect? | 他还是嫌犯吗 |
[14:32] | Yeah, but his motive ain’t clear. | 是 但动机不明 |
[14:34] | Bank records always come through. | 在银行记录里总能发现线索 |
[14:36] | What have you got? | 查到什么了 |
[14:38] | Alice opened up her own account in May, 1943, | 爱丽丝于1943年5月建立了个人账户 |
[14:42] | made weekly deposits of 35 dollars. | 每周存入35块 |
[14:44] | Her factory salary. | 她的工资 |
[14:45] | Makes sense. | 正常 |
[14:46] | And it keeps making sense until July, ’43, | 直到1943年7月的一天 |
[14:49] | when 2000 bucks shows up. | 一下存了两千块 |
[14:51] | How’s a woman in 1943 get that kind of money? | 在1943年 女人上哪能挣这么多钱 |
[14:53] | Like I said, naughty. | 我说了 不守妇道 |
[14:55] | Your mind goes right to the gutter. | 你的思想太肮脏了 |
[14:57] | Who wants to bet me? | 谁愿意跟我打赌 |
[14:59] | I do. | 我 |
[15:00] | Twenty bucks. | 赌20块 |
[15:04] | Going to court, boss. | 我去法庭了 老大 |
[15:05] | Dana dug through her attic last night, | 丹娜昨晚收拾她的阁楼 |
[15:08] | got something for me. | 找到了些东西给我 |
[15:09] | Send her my regards. | 帮我带个好 |
[15:15] | Never heard of Ivan. | 从未听说过埃文 |
[15:16] | Me neither. | 我也没听过 |
[15:17] | Where’d you hear the name? | 你从哪里听说的 |
[15:18] | Just came up in the investigation. | 调查过程中出现的 |
[15:21] | Maybe part of her new crowd from the factory. | 也许是她在工厂结识的新朋友 |
[15:23] | Nelson tells me Alice was a writer. | 尼尔森告诉我爱丽丝擅长写作 |
[15:26] | Yeah? | 是吗 |
[15:27] | Poems, short stories. | 诗歌 短文 |
[15:28] | She was too shy to let anyone read them. | 她不好意思拿出来给人看 |
[15:30] | She always said everyone had at least one story | 她总说每个人都能写出至少一个 |
[15:32] | that could stop your heart. | 令人心动的故事 |
[15:35] | So you take after her. | 你跟她一样 |
[15:37] | I’ll let you gals talk. | 你们聊 我先走了 |
[15:39] | You know, if you pack your lunch, | 如果你每天带便当 |
[15:40] | you wouldn’t have to pay 6 dollars to eat. | 就不用花6块钱吃午餐了 |
[15:42] | Child of the Depression. | 童年时期经历了”大萧条” |
[15:44] | You’re a frugal man. | 你真节俭 |
[15:46] | Alice lived with the crash, too. | 爱丽丝也经历过那个年代 |
[15:48] | She understood. | 她能理解 |
[15:49] | A lesser woman might have minded it, not her. | 别人可能会介意我太节俭 但她不是这种人 |
[15:54] | Bye. | 再见 |
[15:55] | For years, people tried to set him up after Alice died, | 爱丽丝死后 大家不断给他介绍对象 |
[15:59] | and he’d just say, | 而他却说 |
[16:01] | I’ve had my wife. | 我有过老婆了 |
[16:04] | So, what’d you find in the attic? | 你在阁楼里发现什么了 |
[16:06] | Oh, her diaries. | 她的日记 |
[16:10] | These cover the early forties. | 40年代初的日记都在这里 |
[16:13] | Maybe she wrote about Ivan. | 也许里边提到过埃文 |
[16:17] | Badminton with the gang. | 和同伴们打羽毛球 |
[16:19] | That was a big sport with 43. | 这运动在1943年很流行 |
[16:21] | Took the Pennsy Railroad to visit her mother. | 乘宾西铁路的火车看母亲 |
[16:24] | Amtrak hadn’t made the scene yet. | 美国铁路公司那时候还没成立 |
[16:26] | Anyone find Henry Walker or Ivan? | 谁找到亨利·沃克和埃文的信息了 |
[16:28] | Looking. | 正在找 |
[16:30] | Rations on beef means eggs or horsemeat for supper. | 牛肉定量供应 晚餐只能吃鸡蛋和马肉了 |
[16:34] | Horsemeat? Now that’s a deal breaker. | 马肉 太倒胃口了 |
[16:37] | Oh, pay dirt. | 有了 不义之财 |
[16:39] | Ivan? | 埃文吗 |
[16:40] | Henry. | 亨利 |
[16:41] | June, 12, 1943, | 1943年6月12日 |
[16:42] | Henry sent me to Smokies dance hall. | 亨利介绍我去烟山舞厅 |
[17:05] | I’m looking for the owner, Richard. | 我找店主 理查德 |
[17:08] | Not here. | 不在 |
[17:10] | Maybe I can help you. | 也许我能帮你 |
[17:13] | I doubt it. | 恐怕不行 |
[17:14] | What do you want from Richard? | 你找理查德买什么 |
[17:16] | Nylons? | 尼龙丝袜 |
[17:17] | Liquor? | 酒饮 |
[17:18] | Certainly not. | 当然不是 |
[17:20] | Black market’s his specialty. | 他在黑市混得很开 |
[17:22] | That’s not what I’m after. | 我要的不是这些东西 |
[17:26] | Old stag with soda, Bruno. You drinking? | 老马加苏打水 布鲁诺 你喝酒吗 |
[17:29] | I have to get home. | 我得按时回家 |
[17:31] | For what? | 为什么 |
[17:31] | Not the husband or kids. | 肯定不是为了丈夫和孩子 |
[17:34] | Dr. IQ on the radio? | 听IQ博士的节目吗 |
[17:37] | Maybe I will have a drink. | 那我就喝一点点 |
[17:40] | Two on the house. | 免费赠送两杯 |
[17:46] | Lonesome, ain’t it? | 感觉孤独吗 |
[17:49] | All the men overseas. | 男人们都去打仗了 |
[17:51] | Can be. | 是啊 |
[17:55] | They tell you at work to steer clear of me? | 工厂的人是不是告诉你离我远点 |
[17:57] | Account of my checkered past? | 因为我戏剧化的过去 |
[17:59] | No details. | 没细讲过 |
[18:01] | Just to keep your distance. | 只是让你离我远点 |
[18:04] | What did you do? | 你都做过些什么 |
[18:06] | They say I shot my husband. | 他们说我开枪打了我丈夫 |
[18:08] | And I did, too. | 这个没错 |
[18:10] | But I had a reason. | 但事出有因 |
[18:14] | Did you kill him? | 他被你打死了吗 |
[18:17] | Just blew up his shoulder. | 只是打中了肩膀 |
[18:19] | He ran off after that. | 然后他就跑了 |
[18:23] | So why did you come to Smokies, huh? | 那你为什么来烟山呢 |
[18:28] | I came because I believed what you said. | 因为我相信你刚才的话 |
[18:36] | End of entry. | 就写到这里 |
[18:38] | She believed what Fannie said when? | 她相信范尼什么时候说的话 |
[18:41] | Who’s Fannie? | 范尼是谁 |
[18:42] | One of the factory girls. | 一个女工 |
[18:44] | D’you think she really shot her husband? | 你认为她真的开枪打过自己的丈夫吗 |
[18:46] | Better find out. | 最好去查查 |
[18:48] | I’ll go with ya. | 我跟你一起去 |
[18:49] | I’d like to meet an 80-year-old who shot a guy. | 我很想去见这个开枪打过人的八旬老人 |
[19:00] | Me and Alice, we started out kinda shaky, | 一开始 我和爱丽丝关系比较紧张 |
[19:04] | but then we got along. | 但后来成了好朋友 |
[19:05] | We pulled an arrest record from 1940, Fannie. | 我们查到你1940年的案底了 范尼 |
[19:08] | Not my best year. | 流年不利 |
[19:10] | Seems you’ve shot your husband in a late night dispute? | 好像你俩在深夜吵架时 你开枪打了他 |
[19:12] | Not until he took a screwdriver to my head. | 他先拿螺丝刀打我脑袋的 |
[19:16] | Yeah, that’s in there, too. | 对 记录里也提到了 |
[19:19] | You didn’t have any reason to hurt Alice, did you? | 你没有什么理由会伤害爱丽丝吧 |
[19:22] | No, sir. | 必须没有 |
[19:24] | I loved that girl. | 我爱死那女孩了 |
[19:27] | You two must have been an odd pair. | 你俩一定整天黏在一起 |
[19:30] | War time made for unusual companions. | 战争时期的友情非同寻常 |
[19:33] | All the men were away | 男人都走了 |
[19:35] | and you made friends where you could find them. | 你就到处去找朋友 |
[19:38] | So you and Alice were friends with each other? | 你和爱丽丝是朋友吗 |
[19:40] | Making B-25’s together, it kinda bonds you. | 一起装B25轰炸机 感情非同一般 |
[19:45] | Did you ever hear her talk about Ivan? | 你听她提起过埃文这个人吗 |
[19:47] | Sure. | 当然 |
[19:49] | Who was he? | 他是谁 |
[19:50] | Her cousin in Europe. | 她在欧洲的表弟 |
[19:52] | You see, her family was Jewish. | 她家族是犹太人 |
[19:54] | She hadn’t heard from Ivan in months which worried her | 她好几个月没听到埃文的消息 很担心 |
[19:58] | and I told her she had good reason to worry. | 我告诉她 你确实应该担心 |
[20:14] | I met this seaman last night at Smokies. | 我昨天在烟山遇到那个水兵了 |
[20:17] | You meet a seaman every night at Smokies. | 你在烟山每晚都能遇到水兵 |
[20:21] | Anyone bring stockings to donate? | 有人捐献丝袜吗 |
[20:23] | I did. | 有 |
[20:24] | Penciling in your own seams looks just as nice as your nylons. | 用铅笔在腿上画线缝 跟真的尼龙丝袜一样 |
[20:28] | Matter of opinion. | 值得商榷 |
[20:32] | Smoking now, are we? | 你也开始抽烟了吗 |
[20:34] | Just on breaks. | 只在休息的时候 |
[20:40] | So this here sailor just came back from Europe. | 这个兵是从欧洲回来的 |
[20:43] | He says there’s real bad things happening over there. | 他说那边发生了很不好的事 |
[20:45] | Like what? | 什么事 |
[20:47] | Like there’s these camps. | 德国人建了很多集中营 |
[20:49] | For Jews. | 关押犹太人 |
[20:50] | We’re doing the same to the Japs. | 我们也关押日本侨民 |
[20:53] | Except these aren’t just internment camps. | 但我们只是拘留他们 |
[20:55] | Then what are they? | 那德国人呢 |
[20:57] | They’re killing people there. | 他们在里边屠杀犹太人 |
[21:00] | We’d be hearing it on Ed Murrow if that were true. | 如果是真的话 新闻里会报的 |
[21:03] | You sure they’re doing that to Jews? | 你确定他们那样对待犹太人吗 |
[21:05] | Herding them up, taking them off to die. | 把他们集中起来 集体屠杀 |
[21:09] | I don’t believe it. | 我不相信 |
[21:10] | Neither do I. | 我也不信 |
[21:19] | It seems crazy now, | 现在看来很疯狂 |
[21:21] | but most people didn’t know the truth until the Liberation. | 但那时大部分人直到欧洲解放才知道真相 |
[21:26] | So Alice was trying to help Ivan. | 这么说 爱丽丝想帮埃文 |
[21:29] | Smokies’ owner was a Portuguese fellar, | 烟山的老板是个葡萄牙人 |
[21:32] | Richard. | 理查德 |
[21:33] | Had a contact in the consulate that could be helpful to her. | 在领事馆有熟人 能帮她 |
[21:38] | For a fee. | 得付钱吧 |
[21:40] | Said for 2000 dollars, he would smuggle Ivan into Lisbon. | 出价两千美元 他就帮埃文偷渡到里斯本 |
[21:44] | The amount in the bank acount. | 她账户里的数额 |
[21:46] | Oh so, she got the money? | 这么说 她弄到钱了 |
[21:51] | Any idea how? | 知道来路吗 |
[21:52] | Well, no thanks to her husband. | 肯定不是她丈夫给的 |
[21:54] | So, Nelson did know Ivan? | 尼尔森知道埃文 |
[21:57] | Oh sure, and Alice begged him to help, | 当然 爱丽丝央求他帮忙 |
[22:00] | but he wouldn’t budge. | 但他不肯出钱 |
[22:08] | Thought you didn’t know who Ivan was, Nelson. | 你不是不认识埃文吗 尼尔森 |
[22:10] | You forget he was your wife’s cousin? | 你忘了他是你妻子的表弟了吗 |
[22:12] | No. | 没忘 |
[22:14] | Then what? | 那是怎么回事 |
[22:17] | I wanna cooperate. | 我想合作 |
[22:18] | It’s a funny way of showing it. | 你就这么跟我们合作吗 |
[22:21] | I brought these letters. | 我带来了这些书信 |
[22:22] | All the correspondents from the war. | 全部的战时通信 |
[22:24] | Let’s not lose focus. Why did you lie about Ivan? | 别转移话题 你为什么对埃文的事撒谎 |
[22:27] | Because I didn’t believe her, I didn’t think he was in danger. | 因为我不相信她 我觉得他没有危险 |
[22:31] | This one’s from Alice, June, ’43, | 这是爱丽丝寄给我的 1943年6月 |
[22:34] | asking me for the money. | 跟我要钱 |
[22:35] | Telling you what she heard about the camps? | 告诉你她听说的集中营的事吗 |
[22:37] | I was in Europe. I never heard such a thing. | 我当时就在欧洲 没听说这种事 |
[22:40] | I thought it was just gossip that she’d picked up at the factory. | 我以为就是些传闻 工厂里的人瞎编的 |
[22:44] | And you’re a frugal man. | 而且你很节俭 |
[22:46] | So I wrote back, said no. | 所以我回信 说不行 |
[22:49] | Few months later, | 几个月后 |
[22:51] | Ivan was dead. | 埃文死了 |
[22:54] | So how did you figure Alice came by that two K? | 你觉得爱丽丝那两千块是从哪来的 |
[22:57] | I don’t know how, | 我不知道 |
[22:59] | but with these letters, you can tell when. | 但这些书信上能找到时间 |
[23:02] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[23:04] | She wrote about him in every letter until July, 11th. | 她写的每封信里都提到他 直到7月11日 |
[23:07] | But she doesn’t mention him again. | 之后再没提过他 |
[23:09] | So the problem was solved by then? | 这个问题在那时解决了吗 |
[23:14] | – Could we hang on to these? – Please. | -我们能留下这些信吗 -请便 |
[23:18] | I’m sorry I lied. | 很抱歉 我撒谎了 |
[23:20] | I just.. | 我只是 |
[23:22] | I’ve been so ashamed of this for 60 years. | 这60年我因为此事一直很惭愧 |
[23:29] | Between the diaries and letters, | 在这些日记和书信里 |
[23:31] | we know Alice got that money July, 10th. | 我们得知爱丽丝在7月10号得到那笔钱 |
[23:34] | A month after she started trying to raise it. | 在她开始筹钱后一个月 |
[23:37] | Could be the month Ivan died. | 可能埃文在那个月死了 |
[23:38] | So what happened that day, July, 10th. | 7月10号那天到底发生了什么 |
[23:40] | She worked the day shift | 她那天值白班 |
[23:41] | and then there was a swing for victory dance at Smokies. | 当晚 烟山举行了一场预祝胜利的舞会 |
[23:44] | Smokies again. | 又是烟山 |
[23:46] | Figure something happened that night. | 估计那晚发生点事情 |
[23:48] | Someone she met there gave her the two K. | 她在那里遇到了某人 给了她2000块 |
[23:50] | In exchange for what? | 以什么作为回报呢 |
[23:53] | Let’s recreate that night, go back to Smokies | 咱们重建一下当晚的情况 回到烟山 |
[23:56] | and take Fannie and Martha with us. | 把范尼和玛莎也带着 |
[23:58] | Well, the place is still around. | 那地方还在做生意 |
[23:59] | An Italian restaurant now. | 现在变成了意大利餐馆 |
[24:01] | There you go. | 这不是正好 |
[24:02] | Scotty found the old owner, Richard. | 斯考特找到了原来的老板 理查德 |
[24:05] | Retired in Merriam. | 在梅瑞安市退休 |
[24:06] | Well, between the three of them, | 也许这三个在一起 |
[24:07] | maybe they can piece together Alice’s night. | 能帮我们弄清楚爱丽丝那晚都做了什么 |
[24:09] | Let’s take a field trip. | 出外勤吧 |
[24:25] | Lordy, I spent a lot of hours in here. | 天呐 我以前经常来这里 |
[24:27] | Makes me feel twenty again. | 感觉又回到了20岁 |
[24:30] | You swing? | 摇一会儿吗 |
[24:32] | – Excuse me? – She means dance. | -什么 -她的意思是跳舞 |
[24:34] | Right, no. | 这样啊 不跳 |
[24:36] | I’m a two left feet guy. | 我天生不是跳舞的料 |
[24:41] | For good time, girls. | 见到你们真开心 姑娘们 |
[24:44] | Richard. | 理查德 |
[24:46] | Francesca. | 弗兰西斯卡 |
[24:47] | Martha. | 玛莎 |
[24:50] | I’m John Stillman. And this is Lilly Rush. | 我是约翰·斯蒂尔曼 这位是莉莉·拉什 |
[24:53] | How do you do? | 幸会 |
[24:55] | You remember our friend Alice Miller? | 你还记得咱们的朋友爱丽丝·米勒吗 |
[24:57] | A real swell girl palled around with us the summer of ’43. | 很漂亮的女孩 43年夏天常跟我们在一起 |
[25:01] | Sure. | 当然 |
[25:04] | There was one night in particular. The swing for victory dance? | 尤其是有一晚 预祝胜利的舞会 |
[25:07] | Big business that night. | 那晚生意好极了 |
[25:09] | I worked the bar with Bruno. | 我跟布鲁诺一起在吧台干活 |
[25:12] | Oh, and I met a real nice marine. | 我邂逅了一位迷人的陆战队员 |
[25:16] | And Alice and I were dancing, collecting a quarter a song. | 我和爱丽丝一直跳舞 每首曲子2毛5 |
[25:37] | That makes three dollars even. | 赚到3块钱了 |
[25:40] | Martha. | 玛莎 |
[25:42] | Was that serviceman getting fresh with you? | 那个兵哥哥在跟你调情吗 |
[25:45] | Yes, lucky thing you came by. | 是啊 幸好你们来了 |
[25:47] | Oil us up, Richard. | 给我们补点能量 理查德 |
[25:49] | What you drinking? | 你要喝什么 |
[25:50] | Rum and coca-cola. | 朗姆酒兑可乐 |
[25:53] | Saw you out there breaking hearts, Alice. | 你这样伤了很多人的心 爱丽丝 |
[25:56] | With that neckline who could overlook her? | 领子那么低 谁能不低头啊 |
[25:58] | Is it too low? | 很低吗 |
[26:00] | It’s just not the Alice we met a few months ago. | 跟我们几个月前认识的爱丽丝可不一样了 |
[26:02] | I suppose it’s just nice having some men our age around again. | 又能跟年纪相当的小伙们混在一起感觉不错 |
[26:05] | They’ll all be shipped off again soon. | 他们很快就要再次出征 |
[26:08] | Then it’s back to us girls and gimps with bad teeth. | 然后就剩下我们这些女孩和老弱病残 |
[26:11] | We are not all 4-F. | 我们不全是上不了战场的男人 |
[26:15] | 20 dollars for every dance the rest of the night. | 我买你今晚剩下的时间 20块一支曲子 |
[26:17] | Why, Buddy. | 怎么了 巴迪 |
[26:18] | Starting right now. | 马上开始 |
[26:20] | You gotta stop this. | 不要这样 |
[26:21] | You’re selling your dances, I’m buying it. | 你陪人跳舞挣钱 我要你陪我 |
[26:23] | You can’t keep following me. | 你别总这么跟着我 |
[26:24] | Behave yourself, Buddy. | 老实点 巴迪 |
[26:26] | Don’t treat me like a kid. | 别把我当成孩子 |
[26:28] | You are a kid. | 你就是个孩子 |
[26:29] | I’m old enough to go kill people, I’m old enough to be with you. | 我这个年龄可以杀人 就可以和你在一起 |
[26:33] | Lays it right out, don’t he. | 这哥们发飙了 |
[26:35] | Let’s go for a walk. | 咱们出去溜溜 |
[26:43] | So, Henry’s son was there? | 亨利的儿子当时在场吗 |
[26:45] | I’ve forgotten that. | 我已经忘了 |
[26:47] | And Alice left with him? | 爱丽丝跟他一起出去了 |
[26:49] | Don’t think I saw her the rest of the night. | 之后就没见她回来 |
[26:51] | The boy was pretty determined to get her alone. | 那孩子执意要独占她 |
[26:55] | Oh, Buddy had it bad for Alice. | 巴迪被爱丽丝迷住了 |
[26:58] | And I’ve forgotten about that marine, too. | 我把陆战队员也忘了 |
[27:01] | Oh look him up, | 去找找他吧 |
[27:03] | maybe he’ll get fresh with you again. | 也许他还会跟你调情的 |
[27:09] | Richard, owner of the dance hall, had a colorful career. | 那个舞场的老板理查德 可谓经历丰富 |
[27:13] | He was a horse bookie, graftman, | 做个赛马经纪 园丁 |
[27:15] | and proprietor of house of assignation. | 还开过温情小屋 |
[27:18] | A house of what? | 什么小屋 |
[27:20] | That’s polite for whore house. | 那是对妓院的尊称 |
[27:23] | I’m calling it a night, guys. | 今天就到这里吧 伙计们 |
[27:26] | Crap, I gotta get home. | 坏了 我得回家了 |
[27:30] | You wanna hit the Black Sheep, have a pint? | 去黑绵羊酒吧喝两杯吧 |
[27:33] | Nah, I’m good. | 不去了 |
[27:37] | You talking to Elisa at all? | 你最近跟伊莉莎说话了吗 |
[27:40] | She’s back in the hospital. | 她回医院去了 |
[27:42] | Oh, I didn’t know, Scotty. | 我才知道 史考特 |
[27:43] | It’s a circle game. | 反反复复的 |
[27:45] | She’s sick and better, | 一会儿病了 一会儿又好了 |
[27:48] | and for a while you’re hoping and then | 一段时间充满希望 然后 |
[27:52] | it starts again. | 又复发了 |
[27:53] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[27:55] | I just can’t go round and round with her any more. | 我受不了一次又一次陪着她折腾 |
[28:15] | So I was sweet on Alice. | 我确实喜欢过爱丽丝 |
[28:16] | So what? | 那又怎样 |
[28:17] | Sweet can turn to sour on a dime. | 有可能由爱生恨 |
[28:20] | And if it’s so what, | 如果你无所谓 |
[28:21] | why not tell us that in our first conversation. | 为什么我们初次见面时不告诉我们 |
[28:24] | It’s just a kid’s crush. | 那是年少懵懂 |
[28:26] | 20 bucks in 1943 was a lot of money to throw down. | 20块在1943年可以说是一掷千金 |
[28:29] | Where does a 17-year-old get a cash like that? | 一个17岁小孩从哪弄的那么多钱 |
[28:31] | My dad. | 我爸给的 |
[28:33] | Tell us what happened when you and Alice went walking | 你和爱丽丝跳完舞以后 |
[28:35] | after the dance. | 干什么去了 |
[28:36] | What’s it matter? | 问这干什么 |
[28:37] | That wasn’t the night she died. | 她又不是那天晚上死的 |
[28:39] | Then you don’t mind telling us about it. | 那你还有什么不能告诉我们的 |
[28:43] | Oh, jiminy | 天呐 |
[28:47] | We didn’t go walking. | 我们没散步 |
[28:50] | We went driving. | 我们开车兜风去了 |
[29:14] | How do you come by gasoline | 这车这么费油 |
[29:15] | for this big old car in times like these? | 你怎么在这非常时期弄到汽油的 |
[29:17] | My dad has his ways. | 我爸路子很野 |
[29:23] | Sorry, Alice. Honest. | 对不起 爱丽丝 真的 |
[29:26] | I lost my cool. | 我失态了 |
[29:29] | Okay. | 没事 |
[29:35] | So, why are you trying to make money? | 你为什么要挣钱呢 |
[29:37] | To help someone. | 用来救人 |
[29:39] | Who? | 谁 |
[29:42] | It’s complicated. Never mind about it. | 一言难尽 你就别问了 |
[29:45] | You and your secrets. | 还有不可告人的秘密呢 |
[29:48] | Well, I got a secret, too. | 我也有个秘密 |
[29:50] | What’s that? | 什么秘密 |
[29:51] | My dad has an account for me. | 老爸给我开了个户头 |
[29:53] | For when I go to college. | 为我上大学存了些钱 |
[29:54] | Yeah? | 是吗 |
[29:56] | Wants me to take it and run away. | 想要我带钱上路 |
[29:58] | Wait out the war. | 等到战争结束 |
[29:59] | He doesn’t wanna lose a third son. | 他不想失去第三个孩子 |
[30:01] | Yeah, but no amount of money’s gonna make me run. | 对 但金钱买不了我的心 |
[30:04] | I want to serve. | 我想入伍 |
[30:05] | Soon as I turn 18, do like my brothers did. | 等我年满18岁 就去追随我的哥哥 |
[30:14] | I want you to have the money. | 我要把钱给你 |
[30:18] | I couldn’t. | 我不能要 |
[30:21] | I know I’m just a kid to you. | 我知道在你眼里我只是个孩子 |
[30:23] | Buddy, you’re a swell kind of guy | 巴迪 你那么优秀 |
[30:26] | and you’re gonna find a girl who’s just right for you. | 一定会找到适合你的女孩 |
[30:29] | Will you wait for me? | 你会等我吗 |
[30:31] | I can’t. | 我不能 |
[30:32] | I ain’t scared of dying. | 我不怕死 |
[30:34] | Don’t say that. | 别这么说 |
[30:36] | But I am scared of going | 但我害怕 |
[30:38] | never having kissed you. | 走之前都没吻过你 |
[30:46] | Well, here’s the dirty shame. | 真是臭不要脸 |
[30:48] | You’re at that window day and night, aren’t you, Dottie. | 你一天到晚守在窗口吧 朵蒂 |
[30:50] | I was simply walking Lady. | 我只是路过而已 |
[30:52] | Weren’t spying at all. | 没偷窥别人啊 |
[30:54] | You should be ashamed of yourself, Buddy. | 你应该感到羞耻 巴迪 |
[30:55] | I’m not. | 我不啊 |
[30:56] | But you’re a red-blooded youth, it’s almost understandable. | 你年少气盛 这还可以理解 |
[30:59] | Please, Dottie. | 拜托 朵蒂 |
[31:00] | You have a good man overseas and he deserves better. | 你老公在前线 你不应该这么对他 |
[31:03] | – Someone like you, you mean? – Maybe so. | -比如你 对吗 -可能吧 |
[31:05] | I know you’d love that. | 我知道你喜欢这样 |
[31:06] | Well, listen to the five cent tramp. | 你就是个不值钱的贱货 |
[31:09] | Says the fussy old maid. | 我不是老处女 |
[31:21] | So you gave her the money. | 钱是你给的 |
[31:23] | 2000 bucks, no questions asked. | 两千块 说给就给 |
[31:26] | That old maid comment must have hit below the belt. | 老处女这个词实在太伤人了 |
[31:29] | Especially back then. | 尤其在当时 |
[31:31] | A girl who wasn’t married was considered a real flop. | 女孩到岁数不结婚让人瞧不起 |
[31:35] | And I guess Dottie was pretty in love | 我估计朵蒂一定很喜欢 |
[31:39] | with Alice’s husband. | 爱丽丝的丈夫 |
[31:41] | That could make you wanna take a girl out. | 这让人想把眼中钉给铲除掉 |
[31:45] | Arrange for an accident. | 制造一起意外 |
[31:51] | We’ve been your letters, Dottie. | 我们看过你的书信 朵蒂 |
[31:53] | I don’t know what you mean. | 我不知道你们什么意思 |
[31:56] | War time correspondence. | 战时通信 |
[32:00] | Dear Nelson, | 亲爱的尼尔森 |
[32:03] | how empty the neighborhood feels with you gone. | 没有你的小区显得异常空荡 |
[32:06] | He gave you that? | 他把这都给你们了 |
[32:08] | I hear the radio reports every night | 我每晚都听广播报告 |
[32:10] | and think of my brave soldier fight in the axis. | 思念着异国他乡英勇抗战的兵哥哥 |
[32:13] | Now, why are you calling someone else’s husband my soldier? | 你怎么能管别人的丈夫叫兵哥哥呢 |
[32:18] | Are you accusing me of having an affair with Nelson? | 你们在指责我和尼尔森有奸情吗 |
[32:22] | No. We ain’t. | 没有 |
[32:25] | Boy, that Alice had all the luck. | 不公平 便宜全让爱丽丝占了 |
[32:27] | Popular at work, more popular than you ever were. | 在工厂受欢迎 你从来没这么受欢迎过 |
[32:31] | I wasn’t interested in that. | 我不屑跟她们混 |
[32:33] | Painting town nights with the new girlfriends, | 跟新认识的女孩出去喝酒 |
[32:35] | going to the show, dancing. | 看电影 跳舞 |
[32:37] | Teenage boys falling for her right there | 毛头小伙追她 |
[32:39] | on the street for all to see. | 所有人都能看到 |
[32:40] | Why couldn’t some stuff like that happen to you? | 你怎么赶不上这样的好事呢 |
[32:42] | Why were you an old maid and she was the girl of the hour? | 为什么你还是老处女 她却炙手可热 |
[32:45] | So you know about that night with Buddy? | 你们知道她和巴迪那天的事了 |
[32:48] | She had sweethearts to spare and you had none. | 她桃花不断 你却连边都沾不上 |
[32:51] | All you wanted was Nelson. | 你只想要尼尔森 |
[32:52] | And factory accidents did happen. | 而工厂事故着实发生了 |
[32:57] | Alice was changing, straying. | 爱丽丝变了 不断堕落 |
[33:01] | I felt Nelson should know. | 我觉得应该告诉尼尔森 |
[33:03] | So you wrote to him. Real faithful. | 所以你给他写信 真忠诚 |
[33:06] | Maybe he’d get the drift, you’d make the better wife? | 也许他会发现 你是个更好的妻子 |
[33:09] | How did it go when he got back? | 他回来以后情况如何 |
[33:11] | You make a move? | 你行动了吗 |
[33:13] | He came home wounded | 他负伤归来 |
[33:15] | and it was plain as day | 然而很明显 |
[33:17] | that Alice didn’t know how to be a good wife anymore. | 爱丽丝已经不知道怎么做一个好妻子了 |
[33:22] | Real nice you’d bring pie, Dottie. | 你带甜饼过来可真贴心 朵蒂 |
[33:24] | Blueberry, too. | 还是蓝莓味的 |
[33:25] | Nelson’s favorite. | 尼尔森的最爱 |
[33:26] | Kind of a welcome home. | 庆祝凯旋 |
[33:29] | Got any vanilla ice cream, Alice? Make it a la mode. | 有香草冰淇淋吗 爱丽丝 我要浇上甜饼 |
[33:31] | No, I don’t. | 没有 |
[33:33] | I noticed the victory garden’s dead. | 我发现胜利菜园荒掉了 |
[33:35] | I didn’t keep it up. | 我没坚持打理 |
[33:37] | House could use a dusting, too. | 房子也该清扫了 |
[33:40] | No pie for me, Dottie. I’m off to the night shift. | 我就不吃甜饼了 朵蒂 我要去上夜班 |
[33:43] | I would think that now that Nelson’s home, | 我以为尼尔森回来以后 |
[33:44] | you’d be done at the factory. | 你就不去工厂上班了 |
[33:46] | Easy. | 小心 |
[33:47] | Oh heavens, I’m sorry. | 天呐 对不起 |
[33:49] | Try this, dear. | 试试这个 亲爱的 |
[33:51] | Since when is there a whiskey in the house? | 咱们家什么时候有酒了 |
[33:53] | I bought it for your pain. | 我买的 帮你缓解疼痛 |
[33:56] | Do you mean to say Alice that you are going to keep on at Brill | 爱丽丝 你是说即使尼尔森已经回家了 |
[33:59] | even with Nelson home? | 你还要继续在工厂上班吗 |
[34:00] | Turns out I like it there. | 我很喜欢那里 |
[34:02] | Do you now. | 是吗 |
[34:03] | It’s nice feeling useful. | 能做事感觉很好 |
[34:05] | Do you know, Nelson, I helped build 14 B-25 Mitchells. | 知道吗 尼尔森 我帮忙造了14架B-25轰炸机 |
[34:09] | My. | 天呐 |
[34:11] | Plus having my own paycheck. | 而且还有了自己的收入 |
[34:13] | I give you your allowance. | 我都给你家用了 |
[34:14] | It just feels different when you earned it yourself. | 跟自己挣的钱感觉不一样 |
[34:17] | Well, I work because I’m a single gal. | 我工作是因为还没结婚 |
[34:20] | If I were married, I’d be more than content to just keep house, | 如果我结婚了 绝对愿意操持家务 |
[34:24] | do the washing, bake pies. | 洗衣做饭 |
[34:29] | I made some nice friends at the factory, too. | 我还在工厂交了很多好朋友 |
[34:31] | Yeah, I heard about your friends, | 是啊 我都听说了 |
[34:34] | in particular a young teenage friend. | 尤其是那个毛头小伙 |
[34:45] | I’ll take this to Martha, it’s her last shift tonight. | 我把这个拿给玛莎 今晚是她最后一班 |
[34:56] | More pie? | 还要甜饼吗 |
[35:01] | But he didn’t go for it, huh? | 但他没吃你这套吧 |
[35:03] | No. | 对 |
[35:06] | I’m sure it’s amusing to you young people, but to this day, | 我知道你们年轻人会感到可笑 至今 |
[35:09] | I would jump for Nelson if he wanted me. | 如果他喜欢我 我一定会投怀送抱 |
[35:12] | But he wanted Alice. | 但他要的是爱丽丝 |
[35:15] | Even after she changed so. | 即使她变了 |
[35:17] | Now, did he go the factory that night | 他那天晚上去工厂 |
[35:19] | to set his wife flying straight again? | 再次跟他妻子对质了吗 |
[35:24] | You were real helpful giving us Mr. Walker, Dottie. | 你很配合地提供了沃克先生的信息 朵蒂 |
[35:26] | Is that because you were protecting someone else? | 你是在保护谁吗 |
[35:28] | – Nelson is a good man. – Come on now, Dot. | -尼尔森是个好人 -算了吧 朵蒂 |
[35:33] | He ain’t gonna choose you. | 他不会选择你了 |
[35:44] | I saw him with Mr. Walker that night. | 那晚我看到他和沃克先生在一起 |
[35:49] | Where? | 在哪里 |
[35:50] | They went in to his office late, | 去他办公室了 很晚的时候 |
[35:54] | stayed about an hour. | 待了一个钟头 |
[35:57] | You were pretty surprised to see Nelson there? | 在那里看到尼尔森 你感到很意外吧 |
[36:00] | Yes. | 是的 |
[36:02] | But? | 但是 |
[36:04] | A secretary doesn’t tell secrets. | 秘书从不透露老板的秘密 |
[36:07] | Plus, all those feelings you had for him. | 加上你对他的那些感情 |
[36:11] | Nelson just wanted the wife | 尼尔森只想找回 |
[36:14] | that he had before he went away. | 他离开前的那个妻子 |
[36:18] | That war changed everybody. | 战争改变了所有人 |
[36:22] | So, news on Alice? | 爱丽丝的事有进展了吗 |
[36:28] | I talked to Dottie. | 我跟朵蒂谈过了 |
[36:31] | Is that right? | 是吗 |
[36:33] | You knew Alice put those whiskey glasses out that night. | 你知道那晚的两个酒杯是爱丽丝拿出来的 |
[36:38] | And that she went to the factory, | 还知道她去了工厂 |
[36:40] | cuz you went there, too. | 因为你也过去了 |
[36:51] | Dottie said that? | 是朵蒂说的吗 |
[36:55] | Was it the boy? | 是因为那男孩吗 |
[36:58] | Or that she didn’t need allowance any more. | 还是她不再需要你的家用了 |
[37:01] | Didn’t make you nice home-made pies? | 不再给你做美味的自制甜饼了 |
[37:04] | You learned a lot. | 你知道的真不少 |
[37:06] | It’s my job. | 职责所在 |
[37:09] | Well, you’re good at it. | 你很在行 |
[37:13] | I’ve been reading Alice’s diaries. | 我读过了爱丽丝的日记 |
[37:16] | Told you she could write. | 我说过 她很能写 |
[37:19] | Did you know she was so terrified her | 你知道她第一天上班很害怕 |
[37:21] | first morning of work she got sick in the girls’ room? | 在洗手间吐了吗 |
[37:24] | No. | 不知道 |
[37:25] | Almost left at lunch time because she felt her skills were so poor. | 她感觉自己手艺太差 中午饭点时差点离开 |
[37:29] | I didn’t know that. | 我不知道 |
[37:31] | And she was so filthy at the end of that day | 一天下来 她灰头土脸 |
[37:34] | that she got looks from the men on the bus | 从公交车上人们的表情能看出 |
[37:36] | who surely take a dim view of working girls in grubby slacks. | 他们很瞧不起满身油污穿着工服的女工 |
[37:42] | – It wasn’t easy for her making that change. – No. | -这种改变对她来说很不容易 -是的 |
[37:46] | But she was brave, | 但她很坚强 |
[37:49] | and cleared the way for the people coming behind her. | 并为后来的人铺平了道路 |
[37:57] | I loved her. | 我爱她 |
[38:04] | Then honor her, | 那就别让她蒙冤 |
[38:06] | tell the rest of her story. | 讲讲她后来的故事 |
[38:13] | I just went there to ask her to come home. | 我过去只想让她回家 |
[38:17] | What’s so terrible about that? | 那又有什么错呢 |
[38:22] | Nothing. | 没有 |
[38:27] | The factory owner saw something, didn’t he? | 厂主看到什么了吧 |
[38:31] | How’d you keep him quiet? | 你怎么让他闭嘴的 |
[38:33] | I gave him my war bonds. | 我把战争债券给了他 |
[38:41] | I was only away six months, | 我只离开了半年 |
[38:43] | but it was like I didn’t know the girl I came home to. | 但我日思夜想的女孩却变成了陌生人 |
[39:15] | What are you doing here? | 你来这里干什么 |
[39:17] | We need to talk, kid. | 我们得谈谈 孩子 |
[39:19] | You should be home, you’re injured. | 你应该在家静养 你受伤了 |
[39:24] | I’m sorry, kitten. | 对不起 宝贝 |
[39:27] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:28] | Stop all this foolishness and get on to home. | 别再干这蠢差事了 回家吧 |
[39:32] | I’m not off till six. | 我早上六点才下班 |
[39:34] | Forget this place. | 别管这地方了 |
[39:36] | I don’t think I can. | 我不能这样 |
[39:40] | I don’t care about the boy, | 我不在乎朵蒂跟我讲的 |
[39:43] | what Dottie told me. | 那个男孩的事 |
[39:48] | I still wanna have a life with you, Nelson. I do love you. | 我对你没有变心 尼尔森 我爱你 |
[39:52] | I love you, kitten. | 我爱你 宝贝 |
[39:53] | It has to be a different kind of life now. I changed. | 我现在的生活不一样了 我变了 |
[39:56] | We’ll give it six months. | 等半年以后 |
[39:59] | – You’ll change back. – No. | -你就会变回来了 -不会的 |
[40:02] | I couldn’t bare to sit home, | 我再也不愿意待在家里了 |
[40:06] | not making anything of the day, having no company. | 终日无所事事 没有伙伴 |
[40:09] | Not now, knowing what I can do. | 我现在知道自己能做什么了 |
[40:12] | There’s a whole rich life I can have besides being a wife. | 除了为人妻子 我的生活可以如此充实 |
[40:15] | It’s enough now. | 够了 |
[40:18] | – It’s that or it’s nothing. – Alice, you cut it out. | -否则生活毫无意义 -爱丽丝 别说了 |
[40:22] | Nelson, let me go. | 尼尔森 放开我 |
[40:25] | I’ll let you go. | 我会放开你的 |
[40:36] | 歌曲:”Don’t Fence Me In” 歌手:Bing Crosby | |
[42:34] | 女人希望男人婚后有所改变,可事与愿违。 男人希望女人婚后一成不变,却适得其反。 |