时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on Boston Legal | |
[00:02] | I have an 80% chance of getting Alzheimer’s? | 我得阿尔茨海默病的可能性是80%? |
[00:05] | Have you been feeling other symptoms lately? | 你最近有没有什么其他症状? |
[00:07] | Sometimes I feel a little foggy. | 有时候我觉得有点雾蒙蒙的 |
[00:09] | I don’t seem to always get things. | 感觉总是不能理解一些事情 |
[00:10] | We all know it, we laugh it off, | 我们都知道这点 然后一笑置之 |
[00:12] | We say, “isn’t the mad cow cute?” | 说什么这疯牛病不也挺可爱的 |
[00:14] | At what point do we all admit the man needs help? | 何时我们才都肯承认 这个人需要帮助 |
[00:17] | -The firm is going broke? -We may have to shut our doors. | -律所要破产了么? -或许我们得关门大吉了 |
[00:20] | Did I know this and forget? | 我是不是知道这事儿 然后又忘了? |
[00:22] | You’ve been almost like a big sister to me. | 你简直就像是我的姐姐 |
[00:24] | If you knew this crazy Catherine piper… | 如果你以前认识这个 疯疯癫癫的Catherine Piper… |
[00:26] | do you think they considered me sane? | 你觉得他们认为我神经正常么? |
[00:28] | If only they could know you like I do. | 除非他们像我这么了解你 |
[00:54] | Hello, dear. | 你好 亲爱的 |
[00:56] | May I help you? | 有什么可以帮你的? |
[00:57] | Yeah, I’m looking for a lawyer. | 我要请个律师 |
[00:59] | Uh, yes, I suspected as much. | 我估计也是 |
[01:02] | You’re in a law firm. | 你可是在一家律所呢 |
[01:03] | Uh, what have you done, dear? | 你都做什么了 亲爱的? |
[01:05] | Well, I, uh, I got into Harvard, and then– | 我被哈佛录取了 然后 |
[01:09] | A pretty little thing like you? Oh, please. | 像你这么漂亮的小家伙? 哦 拜托 |
[01:12] | Who’d we do, sweetheart? | 我们得和谁上床才行 甜心? |
[01:14] | Then they rescinded my admission, | 然后他们撤回了给我的入学许可 |
[01:17] | And now I would like to sue them. | 我想起诉他们 |
[01:18] | Of course you would. | 你当然会这么想 |
[01:20] | Um, Katie, be a dear and help this young lady. | katie 你来帮我们的小女生吧 |
[01:23] | Uh, Katie will help you, dear. | katie会帮你处理这事的 |
[01:29] | Why don’t we go to the conference room? | 我们去会议室谈吧? |
[01:30] | Okey. | 好的 |
[01:34] | Hello. | 你好 |
[01:36] | Who are you? | 你是哪位? |
[01:37] | Uh, I’m Catherine, honey. D– | 我是Catherine |
[01:40] | Who are you? | 你又是谁? |
[01:41] | Carl Sack May I help you? | 有什么可以帮你的么? Carl sack. |
[01:42] | I doubt it. Uh, you strike me as pushy. | 我很怀疑 你这么咄咄逼人 |
[01:48] | May I ask, | 我能问问 |
[01:49] | And I think I may, being, uh, a senior partner, | 作为一个高级合伙人 我当然可以问 |
[01:51] | Just wh-What… what are you doing here? | 你在这干什么? |
[01:55] | I work here, dear. | 我在这里工作 亲爱的 |
[01:58] | You work here? | 你在这里工作? |
[01:58] | Yes, dear. Who hired you? | 是的 亲爱的 谁雇了你? |
[02:01] | Shirley Schmidt did, dear. She’s my older sister. | Shirley Schmidt 雇我的 亲爱的 她可是我姐姐 |
[02:05] | I think if Shirley Schmidt had hired you, | 要是Shirley Schmidt雇了你 |
[02:06] | -She would’ve told me. -Really? | -她不会不告诉我 -真的么? |
[02:09] | Does she tell you everything? | 她跟你什么都说么? |
[02:11] | Did she tell you she went to Cape Verde for the week? | 有没有告诉你她这星期去了佛得角? |
[02:13] | She did, | 是的 |
[02:14] | And she left me a contact number… | 她还给我留了个联系电话 |
[02:18] | if you can imagine. | 如果你能想得到的话 |
[02:20] | Well, that’s lovely. | 那可真可爱 |
[02:22] | Did she tell you her calls | 那她有没有告诉你 |
[02:23] | Were being forwarded to her younger sister? | 这个联系电话转接给她的妹妹了? |
[02:26] | Hello. Who’s calling, please? | 你好 你是哪位? |
[02:29] | Is it the pushy man? | 是那个咄咄逼人的家伙吗? |
[03:02] | Okay, Denny, I want you to count backwards | denny 我要你从100开始倒数 |
[03:04] | By sevens from a hundred. | 每次减掉个7 |
[03:06] | Why? | 为什么? |
[03:08] | It’s just a test. | 只是个测试 |
[03:11] | 100. | |
[03:12] | 93. | |
[03:14] | Uh, 86. | 呃 86 |
[03:16] | 81. | |
[03:18] | 75. | |
[03:20] | 4–4, I meant to say. | 4 我是想说4的 |
[03:22] | 4. Uh, 1984, like the Orwell– | 就好像奥威尔写的1984 |
[03:26] | 74. | |
[03:28] | Who the hell wrote that? | 1974是谁写的来着? |
[03:29] | No, no, you were down to 74 not 84. | 不 你刚说到74了 不是84 |
[03:32] | W-Whatever. | 管他呢 |
[03:33] | Continue, please. | 请继续 |
[03:35] | 74. | |
[03:36] | 67. | |
[03:38] | Hell of year–’67. The sox won the pennant. | 67年牛大了 红袜队得了联盟冠军 |
[03:41] | Jimmy Lonborg a 2-Hitter second game, | 第二局只给了对方两次安打 Jimmy Lonborg pitched |
[03:43] | And Yaz plunked two out. Hell of a game. | Yaz两次躲开对方投手故意投向他身体的球 这比赛太牛了 |
[03:47] | Who pitched the first game of that world series? | 在那个世界巡回赛首先投球的是谁? |
[03:49] | Jose Santiago bob Gibson. | 对方的投手是Bob Gibson Jose Santiago against, uh, |
[03:52] | Gibson pitched, uh, three times, won the series. | Gibson 作为投手参加了三场比赛 赢下了世界巡回赛 |
[03:54] | Who’s the best pitcher for the sox this year? | 今年红袜队的最佳投手是谁? |
[04:03] | Don’t tell me. Uh… uh… josh pecker. | 别说答案 是Josh Pecker |
[04:06] | Hell of a pitcher, pecker. | 大牛投手 Pecker |
[04:10] | Who’s the best hitter? | 最佳击球手是谁? |
[04:11] | Uh, that’s, uh, that black guy– Uh, the, um– | 呃 是个黑人来着 叫什么… |
[04:15] | Ortiz. David Ortiz. | |
[04:17] | He’s half black, half Mexican, half Dominican. | 他是一半黑人 一半墨西哥人 一半多米尼克人 |
[04:21] | Who’s the president of the united states? | 现在的美国总统是谁? |
[04:23] | Barack Obama. | 贝拉克 奥巴马 |
[04:25] | He’s half Hawaiian, half Kenyan half black and half, | 他是一半夏威夷人 一半肯尼亚人 一半黑人 还有一半 |
[04:30] | Uh, Halle Berry. | 唔 哈莉 贝瑞 |
[04:32] | It has progressed. | 病情恶化了 |
[04:34] | Last year, we were at stage, | 去年 病情还在第三期 |
[04:35] | Which is basically mild cognitive decline. | 有轻度的认知衰退 |
[04:38] | Now it’s more like stage 4, which is moderate. | 现在已经发展到了第四期 有中度危险了 |
[04:42] | Talk to me like I’m in the room, would you? | 说话的时候别好像我不在这房间里一样 |
[04:44] | I am. | 我就是在跟你说 |
[04:46] | You remember yesterday very well, | 你对过去的事记得很清楚 |
[04:47] | But forming new memories is obviously more difficult. | 但对形成新的记忆却有明显的困难 |
[04:52] | Cut to the punch line. | 一句话说清楚 |
[04:54] | You’re in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. | 你处在阿尔茨海默病的早期阶段 |
[04:56] | We’re not talking about precursor’s anymore. | 我们不再是讨论疾病的先兆了 |
[05:00] | It’s here. | 你已经开始发病了 |
[05:24] | Academic doping? | 为了学习嗑药? |
[05:25] | Yeah. You find a friend with a prescription | 是 你去找个有 |
[05:28] | For Ritalin or Adderall, | 利他林或者阿德罗处方的朋友 |
[05:29] | And you pop some pills to help study and stay focused the day of the S.A.T. | 吃上几粒 它们能让你在学习 和参加SAT考试时保持精神集中 |
[05:32] | -And you did this? -Yeah. It’s not illegal. | -你这么做了? -是 这又不犯法 |
[05:36] | And how’d you do on the S.A.T.? | 那你SAT考试的成绩怎么样? |
[05:39] | I got a perfect score. | 我的得分非常高 |
[05:40] | And I was accepted to Harvard… | 所以被哈佛录取了 |
[05:42] | which is fairly newsworthy | 这事儿相当有新闻价值 |
[05:44] | Given I went to your average small-Town public school. | 因为我是一个的小镇的 普通公立学校的学生 |
[05:47] | I did an interview with the local paper… | 我就接受了当地一家报社的采访 |
[05:50] | where I was quoted as saying | 他们引用了我的原话 |
[05:52] | Ritalin was a godsend when it came to test taking. | 说对要考试的人来说 利他林如同天赐之物 |
[05:54] | And that sparked a whole debate in the comments section– | 没想到这在报纸的评论部分 引起激烈的辩论 |
[05:57] | Is it ethical, is it not– | 这到底合不合乎道德标准 是否– |
[05:58] | And the Boston papers picked it up, | 波士顿的报纸也进行了转载 |
[06:00] | And suddenly I’m in the middle of this controversy | 突然我就处在争论的中心 |
[06:02] | That Harvard wants no part of, | 而哈佛不愿意被搅和进来 |
[06:04] | So they rescind my offer of admission. | 所以他们撤回了对我的录取 |
[06:07] | Well, I believe taking a controlled substance | 我认为没有处方 |
[06:09] | Without a prescription actually is illegal. | 而服用受监管药品是非法的 |
[06:11] | No, it’s a study aid, | 但这里只是作为学习时的一种帮助 |
[06:13] | Just one step above potent coffee. | 只是比喝浓咖啡稍进一步而已 |
[06:17] | So what would you like us to do? | 那你希望我们做什么? |
[06:20] | Get me reinstated at Harvard. | 让我重新进哈佛 |
[06:23] | I didn’t do anything to deserve this. | 我不应该被这样对待 |
[06:25] | I mean, they’re singling me out, | 我受到了不公平的待遇 |
[06:26] | And now no school will take me. | 现在也没有学校愿意录取我了 |
[06:27] | Where are your parents with all this? | 那你父母对这事儿怎么看? |
[06:30] | Beyond devastated. | 他们也身心交瘁 |
[06:33] | It was their dream to see their little girl go to Harvard. | 看到女儿进哈佛是他们的梦想 |
[06:39] | I have to fix this. | 我得纠正这个问题 |
[06:40] | I screwed it up… | 我搞砸了 |
[06:44] | and I have to fix this. | 我必须纠正这个问题 |
[06:54] | What are you doing at my desk? | 你在我的办公桌前干嘛? |
[06:57] | Oh. Oh. I-I was just straightening up. | 噢 我只是帮你整理一下 |
[07:00] | That’s what assistants do. | 这是助理的工作 |
[07:01] | You’re not my assistant. | 你不是我的助理 |
[07:03] | Yes, I am, dear. | 我当然是 亲爱的 |
[07:04] | No, I have an as– Where is she? | 我已经有助… 她去哪了? |
[07:08] | -Oh, Francine? -Mm. | -你是说Francine? -恩 |
[07:09] | -I fired her. -You– | -我把她解雇了 -你怎么… |
[07:11] | Too pretty, too young– She’s a distraction. | 太年轻漂亮了 只能让你分心 |
[07:13] | All right, I’m calling security. | 好吧 我要叫保安了 |
[07:15] | Look, honey, you sure you want to make trouble | 宝贝 你真的想给Shirley的妹妹 |
[07:17] | For Shirley’s sister? | 找麻烦么? |
[07:19] | -I mean, after all– -Your name is Catherine piper. | -毕竟… -你叫 Catherine Piper |
[07:21] | You were fired for, among other things, being psychotic. | 因为你的精神不正常以及其他的问题 我们已经解雇你了 |
[07:25] | I also have cancer, dear. | 我还得了癌症 亲爱的 |
[07:31] | There. It’s out. | 已经确诊了 |
[07:33] | I am desperate for a distraction, | 我迫切的希望能有些事情让我分分心 |
[07:36] | Anything to occupy myself while… | 任何能够让我忙起来的事情– |
[07:39] | I’m sorry. I didn’t come here to indulge… | 抱歉 我不是到这里来烦 |
[07:43] | you have cancer? | 你得了癌症? |
[07:45] | Not really, but I could get some if you’d like. | 没有真的得 但要是你乐意 我也可以得 |
[07:47] | Oh, 9-1-1. | 哦 911 |
[07:49] | Look, if I could just work here on a temporary– | 要是我能在这里打临工的话 |
[07:53] | Oh, sorry. (The practice’s themed music) | 哦 抱歉 |
[07:56] | 9-1-1. | |
[07:58] | What’s the emergency? | 你有什么紧急情况? |
[08:01] | How did… | 怎么会… |
[08:10] | I’m afraid they said no. | 不好意思 他们拒绝了 |
[08:12] | But… | 可是… |
[08:14] | did you point out | 你有没有说明 |
[08:15] | I didn’t actually violate any policy or– | 我实质上并没有违反任何规定 |
[08:18] | They’re citing honesty, moral character. | 他们宣称这是诚实的问题 道德品质不符 |
[08:20] | Uh, everybody’s doing it. | 可大家都在这么干 |
[08:23] | -I realize that, but– -But you went public, Margie. | -我知道 -但是你把它公开了 Margie |
[08:26] | We can take it to court, | 我们可以起诉到法院 |
[08:27] | But I wouldn’t expect to be successful. | 但别指望能打赢 |
[08:30] | Oh, we–We have to try. | 可我们得试一试 |
[08:33] | I have geared my whole life toward going to Harvard. | 我全部的生活就是为了能进哈佛 |
[08:35] | I just… | 只是… |
[08:38] | I need to try. | 我得去尝试 |
[08:42] | Please. | 求你 |
[08:44] | I don’t know, jerry. | 我不确定呀 Jerry |
[08:46] | You say she didn’t have a prescription. | 你都说了她没有处方 |
[08:47] | All the kids are doing this, Alan– | 所有的小孩都在这么做 Alan |
[08:49] | Getting it without prescriptions. | 在没有处方的情况下搞到它 |
[08:50] | Well, that’s not much of an argument. | 这可算不上是个论点哦 |
[08:52] | You could argue that rescinding her admission is arbitrary | 你可以主张撤回给她的许可是专断妄为 |
[08:55] | Since they have no official policy. | 他们并没有正式的规定 |
[08:58] | Oh, Alan. Um, hey, jerry. | Alan 嘿 Jerry |
[09:01] | Alan, there’s a drug– | Alan 有一种叫什么 |
[09:03] | It’s called, uh, Dimebolin, something like that– | Dimebolin的药什么的 |
[09:06] | And I want it. My doctor won’t give it to me. | 我想要服用它 我的医生不肯给我 |
[09:08] | It’s from Russia. It stems off Alzheimer’s. | 是俄国出的 治疗阿尔茨海默病 |
[09:11] | Denny, slow down. I can’t at the moment. | – Denny 冷静点 – 这会可静不下来 |
[09:12] | I’ve taken a little too much Adderall. | 我可能阿德罗吃多了 |
[09:14] | Adderall? | 阿德罗? |
[09:15] | See? That’s what Margie takes, that and Ritalin. | 看到没 Margie吃的就是这个 还有利他林 |
[09:17] | Ritalin. I love Ritalin. | 利他林 我爱利他林 |
[09:18] | Denny, what did we agree on regarding your medicines? | Denny 关于你的服药问题 我们不是达成一致了么? |
[09:21] | I would be in charge. | 应该由我来负责 |
[09:22] | Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I’m the one with the Alzheimer’s. | 对 对 可得阿尔茨海默病的人是我 |
[09:25] | I’ll take what I want, and right now, I want Dimebolin. | 需要什么我就吃什么 这会 我就要吃dimebolin |
[09:28] | And you’ve gotta help me get it. | 你得帮我去搞到它 |
[09:41] | You okay, jerry? | 你没事吧 Jerry? |
[09:44] | Academic doping… | 为了学习嗑药 |
[09:45] | it has such a stigma to it. | 就有这样的污名 |
[09:48] | What about emotional doping? | 要是因为情感上的原因而嗑药呢? |
[09:51] | What do you mean? | 你的意思是? |
[09:54] | That’s what I do– Emotional doping. | 我现在就是这么干的 因为情感上的原因 |
[09:56] | I take my little helpers to… | 我服用一些药品来帮助… |
[10:00] | do you think it reflects poorly | 你认为这表明 |
[10:02] | On my moral character? | 我的道德品质低下? |
[10:04] | No. | 没有 |
[10:05] | What’s the difference? | 有什么区别? |
[10:06] | Well, your medication is prescribed for one thing. | 首先 你的药物治疗有医生的处方 |
[10:09] | Mostly. | 大多数吧 |
[10:09] | And second, you have a specific, diagnosed condition, jerry– | 第二 你有具体的 得到确诊的情况 |
[10:13] | Asperger’s syndrome. | 你有艾斯伯格综合症 |
[10:14] | Three years ago, you couldn’t even make eye contact. | 要是在三年前 你甚至无法和别人眼神接触 |
[10:17] | I take pills that affect my brain | 我吃药来影响大脑 |
[10:19] | To help me perform better. | 让我表现的好一点 |
[10:21] | Jerry, I’m the first one to say | Jerry 我一开始就说 |
[10:24] | We have an overmedicated society. | 这个社会是个过度医疗的社会 |
[10:25] | We’ve got 3 year olds on antipsychotics. | 我们有给三岁小孩的抗精神病药物 |
[10:28] | People who don’t even have high cholesterol take statins. | 那些胆固醇还没有升高的人就服用抑制素 |
[10:31] | People take sleep aids when maybe they should just | 动不动就服药安眠药 |
[10:33] | Read a book or masturbate. | 可能读几页书或者去手淫就能入睡 |
[10:35] | I-It’s out of control. | 全都失去了控制 |
[10:36] | But that’s not to say that many drugs don’t do a lot of good. | 这不是说药物没有起到好的作用 |
[10:40] | They save lives. | 它们挽救人的生命 |
[10:41] | People need drugs like insulin or blood pressure medicine | 有些人需要胰岛素或者降压药 |
[10:45] | To simply maintain their health. | 来保证他们的健康 |
[10:46] | And drugs help some people to live normal, productive lives | 药物也帮助很多人生活得 正常而有价值 |
[10:51] | Who might otherwise not. | 没有这些药 可能就办不到 |
[10:53] | You fall into that category. | 你就属于这样 |
[10:56] | Popping pills to… | 但是 靠嗑药 |
[10:58] | Get better S.A.T. Scores– | 来考一个SAT的高分 |
[11:00] | That’s… something different. | 这是完全不同的 |
[11:37] | You are not working here, Catherine. | 这里没有你的工作 Catherine |
[11:39] | That much has been decided. | 这是已经定了的 |
[11:41] | Well, then what are we doing in your office, | 那我们干嘛要在你的办公室 |
[11:44] | Behind closed doors… | 还把门关上 |
[11:45] | where you could sexually ravage me | 这里你可以占我便宜 |
[11:48] | With no witnesses to say it didn’t happen? | 而且还没有证人 好让你抵赖? |
[11:52] | We’re here because I’m told you’re a friend of Alan’s. | 我们在这儿 是因为我当你是Alan的朋友 |
[11:55] | And as a courtesy to him and you, | 作为一种对他和对你的礼貌 |
[11:57] | I thought I would at least give you | 我想起码该给你个机会 |
[11:58] | An opportunity to explain why you’re doing this. | 来解释你到底想要干嘛 |
[12:04] | I’m doing it because I’m old | 我这么干是因为 |
[12:06] | And I’m bored. | 我又老又无聊 |
[12:09] | All my friends are dead. | 我的朋友都死了 |
[12:12] | It’s not like I could go skiing | 我也不像是还能去滑雪 |
[12:14] | Or–Or mountain climbing or… | 或是去登山的年龄了 |
[12:17] | honestly, a-Assuming I were qualified to be your assistant, | 说实在的 如果我够格当你的助手 |
[12:22] | Uh, would you employ somebody my age? | 你愿意雇一个我这么大年纪的人么? |
[12:26] | Probably not. | 可能不会 |
[12:27] | I didn’t think so. | 我也估计到了 |
[12:32] | I got that on tape, dear. | 我可都录下了 亲爱的 |
[12:33] | Now I can e you for age discrimination. | 现在我可以起诉你年龄歧视 |
[12:36] | Best you keep me on, avoid the controversy. | 最好你雇我 免得这事闹到法庭 |
[12:40] | Get out, Catherine. | 出去 Catherine |
[12:54] | I didn’t cheat. I took medicine | 我没有作弊 我服用药物 |
[12:57] | To help my brain function at its highest level. | 只是为了让大脑保持最佳状态 |
[12:59] | You didn’t have a prescription for the medication. | 你是在没有处方的情况下服用这种药的 |
[13:02] | A dozen faculty members at Cambridge university | 剑桥大学的很多老师 |
[13:05] | Admit to taking unprescribed adderall | 承认没有拿到处方就 服用利他林 |
[13:07] | To improve their own academic performance, | 以提高他们在学术上的表现 |
[13:09] | But nobody’s expelling them. | 也没人为此开除他们 |
[13:11] | They’re claiming it shows poor moral character. | 哈佛称这表明了道德品质的低劣 |
[13:14] | And I reject that. | 我否认这一点 |
[13:15] | Helicopter pilots take prescription stimulants to stay alert. | 直升机飞行员按医嘱服用兴奋剂 来保持警觉 |
[13:18] | Medical interns take drugs for narcolepsy | 实习医师服用药物来避免嗜睡 |
[13:20] | So that they can work all night. | 以使他们通宵工作 |
[13:21] | Should we indict all of them as well? | 是不是也要谴责他们? |
[13:23] | All they’ve done is use a pharmacological tool | 他们只不过是使用药物学的方法 |
[13:26] | So that they could do their work more effectively. | 好让工作更有成效 |
[13:29] | Certainly you’re aware | 你应该知道 |
[13:30] | That Harvard has extremely high standards. | 哈佛具有很高的水准 |
[13:32] | Of course. | 当然 |
[13:33] | John f. Kennedy was a graduate. | 肯尼迪总统毕业于此 |
[13:34] | As was the Unabomber. | 邮件炸弹凶手也是 |
[13:36] | -F.D.R. -Hitler’s foreign press secretary. | -富兰克林.罗斯福 -希特勒在国外的代言人 |
[13:38] | Numerous literary figures– | 很多文学界的人 |
[13:40] | Emerson, Thoreau– | 爱默生 梭罗 |
[13:41] | And the cardinal archbishop | 还有那个红衣大主教 |
[13:43] | Who shielded child molesters from prosecution. | 他让亵童者免于起诉 |
[13:45] | For faculty, | 拿教工来说 |
[13:46] | You had timothy leary and his l.S.D. Experiments– | 哈佛有Timothy Leary 吸食麦角二乙酰胺(迷幻剂)的事 |
[13:48] | Ms. Coggins, do you want to go to Harvard or not? | Coggins小姐 你到底想不想进哈佛? |
[13:53] | Yeah, I do… | 是的 |
[13:56] | desperately. | 十分想进 |
[13:57] | My point is… Harvard’s not perfect, | 我想说哈佛并非完美 |
[14:01] | But neither am I. | 我也一样 |
[14:03] | But at every opportunity, | 但是我尽可能的利用一切机会 |
[14:05] | I endeavor to be the best possible version of myself. | 努力做到最好 |
[14:10] | And that’s all I was doing by taking Ritalin. | 服用利他林也完全就是为了这个目的 |
[14:21] | The early trials have been encouraging. | 早期试验的结果令人鼓舞 |
[14:22] | It’s in the stage 3 trials now. | 现在在进行第三期的试验 |
[14:24] | I want it. | 我想服用 |
[14:25] | Well, you can’t have it. | 你不能服用这个药 |
[14:27] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[14:28] | Because it’s not F.D.A. Approved. | 因为食品和药品管理局还没有批准 |
[14:29] | -This drug is a long way– -I don’t care. | -新药上市是个很长的过程 -我不管 |
[14:31] | Mr. Crane, I’m not allowed to prescribe this medication. | 我无权开具这种药的处方 |
[14:35] | And even if I were and did, you still couldn’t get it | 就算我给你开了处方 你还是拿不到这种药 |
[14:37] | -Since it hasn’t been– -How long before | -因为它 -这种新药上市 |
[14:38] | It’s available to the public? | 还需要多久? |
[14:41] | My guess is at least two years, probably three. | 我估计至少两年 也可能三年 |
[14:43] | -The F.D.A. Hasn’t even analyzed -I-I’ll–I’ll be dead | – 食品和药品管理局还没有对 – 三年 |
[14:45] | -The data of the trials– -In three years. | -试验的数据进行分析 -我那会都死了 |
[14:47] | Where’s the drug? Who’s got it? | 怎么能买到这药? |
[14:48] | Well, Pfizer just bought the rights, | 辉瑞公司刚买下专利 |
[14:50] | But nobody can just say, “okay, I’ll give it to you.” | 但没人能说 好的 我给你这个药 |
[14:53] | It would be illegal to do so | 这么做是非法的 |
[14:55] | Unless you get yourself enrolled in a clinical trial, | 除非你能参加药物的临床试验 |
[14:57] | But I think it’s fully booked. | 但我想早都登记满了 |
[15:02] | Let’s be fair. | 让我们公平点说 |
[15:03] | It’s not just the S.A.T. That gets a person admitted. | SAT的成绩并不能决定某人是否被录取 |
[15:06] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[15:07] | Margie, in fact, is also a national merit finalist, | Margie 实际上 同样还是全国奖学金的获得者 |
[15:10] | Captain of her swim team, class valedictorian. | 游泳队的队长 班里的学生代表 |
[15:14] | We get applications | 我们每年收到 |
[15:15] | From thousands of national merit finalists, | 上千份来自全国奖学金的获得者 |
[15:17] | Thousands of captains and thousands of valedictorians. | 游泳队队长和学生代表的申请 |
[15:20] | But this one, you offered admission. | 但你们录取了她 |
[15:21] | Yes, until she admitted she had used brain enhancent drugs. | 直到她承让自己服药了大脑增强药物 |
[15:25] | As do thousands of other students. | 其他数以千计的学生都这么干 |
[15:28] | Do you have a way to weed all of them | 你有没有方法从海量的申请者中 |
[15:29] | Out of your applicant pool? | 把他们全部筛选出来? |
[15:31] | No. | 没有 |
[15:31] | And there’s actually no policy at Harvard | 同时哈佛也没有任何规定 |
[15:34] | Explicitly forbidding what you term “academic doping,” | 明确禁止为学习而服用药物 |
[15:38] | -Is there? -I think in future– | -有么? -我想以后会… |
[15:39] | So you intend to enforce future rules against her. | 那你是要用未来的规则来要求她 |
[15:42] | Do you think that’s fair? | 你觉得这公平么? |
[15:44] | We consider her actions to be immoral, | 我们认为她的行为很不道德 |
[15:46] | And we reserve our right | 学校保留 |
[15:47] | To make our admissions decisions accordingly. | 针对其做出是否录取决定的权利 |
[15:56] | I’ve decided not to sue you. | 我决定还是不起诉你了 |
[15:59] | How sweet. | 你可真好 |
[16:01] | Listen, | 听着 |
[16:02] | Th-That part about me being desperate for a distraction, | 我说过迫切的想要分分心 |
[16:05] | That was true. | 是真的 |
[16:06] | It isn’t fair, Carl. | 这不公平 Carl |
[16:08] | I have my health | 我的身体很健康 |
[16:10] | A-And my mind is as sharp as–As… | 思维也敏锐得– |
[16:14] | well, you people come up with all this medicine | 你们这些人发明了这些药物 |
[16:17] | To–To–To keep us alive, | 来让我们活得更久 |
[16:19] | Even thrive, | 甚至还很精神 |
[16:20] | And you don’t know what to do with us. | 却不知道该拿我们怎么办 |
[16:23] | I was thinking… if I were to come up | 我在想 要是我能找出些 |
[16:27] | With something I could sue for, | 什么事儿去起诉以下 |
[16:29] | Something legitimate, | 些合理的事儿 |
[16:30] | And it could make the firm money– | 也可以给所里挣点钱 |
[16:35] | Uh… I suppose | 我想要是你能 |
[16:36] | If you had a legitimate cause of action, | 有一个提起诉讼的合理事由 |
[16:40] | Then we would– | 我们就可以… |
[16:43] | Drugs. | 药品 |
[16:44] | Uh, okay, they make them too expensive, | 制药公司把它们价钱定的太高 |
[16:46] | -While in Canada, you can– -No. | -要是在加拿大 你就能… -不行 |
[16:49] | Inflation. | 通货膨胀 |
[16:50] | Uh, our social security payments | 我们的社会保险费用 |
[16:53] | -Don’t keep pace– -No. | -已经跟不上… -不行 |
[16:56] | Oh. Look, some jobs still have a mandatory retirement age. | 有些工作仍然规定强制退休年龄… |
[17:01] | No. | 不行 |
[17:03] | These are all legitimate. | 这些理由都是合理的 |
[17:05] | Catherine, you have to have standing. | Catherine 你必须具有诉讼资格 |
[17:08] | It has to directly impact you, | 就是说这件事对你产生直接的影响 |
[17:11] | Harm you. | 损害到了你 |
[17:15] | Look how insensitive you’re being. | 你可真麻木不仁呀 |
[17:16] | Th-This is exactly the problem. | 这可都是切切实实的问题 |
[17:19] | We’re just shoved aside as a nuisance. | 我们却被人讨厌地推到了一边 |
[17:21] | I can’t even watch television shows, for god sake, | 我甚至都看不了电视节目 我的天哪 |
[17:25] | Because the networks consider me irrelevant. | 因为广播电视机构觉得我无关紧要 |
[17:28] | You’d think they don’t program for anybody over 50. | 超过50岁 就没有播给你的节目 |
[17:31] | Is it any wonder | 它们是不是就没想过 |
[17:32] | I’m out knocking over convenience stores? | 我也可能出去 找几家便利店抢劫的呢 |
[17:36] | You actually may have something there. | 在这件事上 你倒是有些权利 |
[17:39] | The networks– | 电视广播机构 |
[17:40] | They’re supposed to serve the public. | 是要服务公众的 |
[17:46] | Okay, Catherine… | 好的 Catherine |
[17:48] | we’ll take that case. | 我们接下这个案子 |
[17:51] | Really? | 真的么? |
[17:52] | I’m over 50 myself… | 我也年过50了 |
[17:54] | and I want something to watch. | 我还想能有些什么电视节目看呢 |
[18:08] | How we doing? | 你怎么了? |
[18:09] | Fine. | 还好 |
[18:14] | I got a hearing before judge Peyton tomorrow. | 我明天在Peyton法官那有个听证会 |
[18:16] | We’ll take our best shot. | 我们得抓住一切机会 |
[18:21] | Shirley’s at the fat farm. You hear? | shirley这会正在减肥中心呢 你听说了么? |
[18:25] | Why? She’s not fat. | 为什么 她又不胖 |
[18:27] | You know brides. | 你知道那些做新娘的 |
[18:27] | They like to get all skinny before the wedding. | 她们恨不得结婚前都瘦成皮包骨 |
[18:32] | It’s all about how they look in their dress. | 还不是为了穿上婚纱时好看点 |
[18:40] | You know the best part of having, uh… mad cow? | 你知道得疯牛病最大的好处是什么? |
[18:47] | Sometimes… | 有时候 |
[18:49] | not often… | 但不经常 |
[18:53] | I think we’re still together. | 我觉得我们仍然在一起 |
[18:58] | As delusions go, it’s one of the better ones. | 能有幻觉 这就是最大的好处了 |
[19:11] | You gonna be okay, Denny, attending her wedding? | 你没问题吗 Denny 去参加她的婚礼的话? |
[19:17] | Yeah. Well… | 没事儿 |
[19:20] | what I’m not okay with is… | 我不能接受的是 |
[19:22] | sitting on my ass while my brain rots. | 坐视我脑袋坏掉 |
[19:24] | I have a big problem with that, though. | 我无法接受 |
[19:28] | We go before judge Peyton in the morning. | 明早我们的法官是Peyton |
[19:33] | Yeah, you told me. | 你告诉我了 |
[19:48] | You gonna stay here all night, jerry? | 你要在这里通宵吗 Jerry? |
[19:49] | It’s not even clear | 现在甚至无法看出 |
[19:50] | Those drugs gave her all that much of an advantage. | 那些药物给了她多大的帮助 |
[19:52] | She scored 99th percentile on the practice test, | 模拟考试照样答对了百分之九十九 |
[19:55] | Which she took without the drugs. | 而那时她并没有服药 |
[19:56] | Jerry, she cheated. Let’s not kid ourselves. | Jerry 别自欺欺人了 她作弊 |
[19:58] | Most kids get a bigger advantage | 很多学生都占了很大便宜 |
[19:59] | By taking the S.A.T. Prep program. | 就因为参加SAT的考前班 |
[20:00] | They actually can boost scores by 150 points. | 由此他们的分数可能得到150分的提高 |
[20:03] | Those programs are legitimate. | 那些项目是合法的 |
[20:05] | And not affordable to kids like Margie. | 但是像Amargie那样的学生负担不起 |
[20:06] | Let’s face it, Katie. | 承认吧 Katie |
[20:07] | The rich have such a leg up in this college racket. | 富人在入学方面有很大优势 |
[20:09] | According to one chancellor, in ivy league schools, | 某位长春藤列院校的校长说过 |
[20:12] | Poor applicants really only get a shot at 40% of the slots. | 穷学生只能竞争40%的名额 |
[20:15] | The rest are reserved for families of privilege. | 其余都预留给特权阶层 |
[20:18] | But jerry, you cannot be a fan of academic doping. | 但是Jerry 你不能为了考试而磕药 |
[20:22] | I’m just saying… | 我只是说 |
[20:24] | life isn’t an even playing field, | 生活不公平 |
[20:27] | And for those who are… | 对那些弱者… |
[20:31] | weaker than… | 来说… |
[20:33] | meaning you? | 比如你? |
[20:36] | Jerry, you’re not weaker than. You have asperger’s. | Jerry 你不是弱者 你只是有艾斯伯格综合症 |
[20:40] | You have no idea how afraid I am | 你不知道我每次离开公寓 |
[20:43] | To leave my apartment. | 有多害怕 |
[20:45] | Every day… | 每天… |
[20:47] | every morning, | 每个早晨 |
[20:49] | I actually wonder, will I get out the door or not? | 我真的很困惑 到底我能不能走出这扇门? |
[20:53] | It seems you win that battle every day. | 那看来你每天都赢了 |
[20:56] | Yeah… on drugs. | 是的…药物帮忙 |
[21:07] | You can’t sue the networks. | 你不能起诉电视网 |
[21:10] | The airwaves, judge, are a public trust, at least as far | 广播 法官阁下 寄托着公众的信任 |
[21:13] | As the broadcast networks are concerned. | 至少电视网如此认为 |
[21:15] | -That’s why they’re regulated. -It’s still a business. | – 所以他们被监管 – 但它终归是企业 |
[21:17] | I mean, bungee jumping might be regulated. | 蹦极也需要监管 |
[21:19] | Are you saying that those outfits | 难道你能说 他们也应该有责任 |
[21:20] | Would have a duty to service the elderly? | 为老人服务? |
[21:22] | No, that would be unreasonable. | 不 那会是无理的 |
[21:24] | But to require a broadcaster to program for everybody isn’t. | 但要求广播面向所有人播放节目却不是 |
[21:27] | Mr. Suck. | Suck 先生 |
[21:29] | Sack. | |
[21:30] | Your honor, there may have been a time | 法官阁下 也许曾经一度 |
[21:31] | When it made practical business sense to exclude the old, | 无视老人对生意来说很有帮助 |
[21:34] | But not today. | 但今非昔比 |
[21:34] | Americans over 50 make up the fastest growing market. | 50岁以上的美国人 构成了膨胀最快的市场 |
[21:37] | It’s about money, not how many– | 这关乎钱 不是多少– |
[21:38] | Really? Gee. I would’ve never guessed that. | 真的?天 我还没想到呢 |
[21:41] | The baby boomers, now all over 50, | 婴儿潮出生的孩子 现在都50岁以上了 |
[21:44] | Earn $2 trillion in annual income. | 每年赚2兆美元 |
[21:46] | That’s trillion. | 是兆! |
[21:47] | Madison avenue is after the discretionary spender. | Madison调查针对的是自由消费者 |
[21:50] | Yes, and people over 50 account for half of that, too. | 没错 50岁以上人士占了一半 |
[21:54] | Choose your statistic. Go ahead. I’ve got you. | 随便什么统计 你选吧 我赢定了 |
[21:56] | We’ve got more money. We spend more money. | 我们的钱更多 我们花的更多 |
[21:59] | We watch more television, go to more movies. | 我们看的电视更多 看的电影更多 |
[22:01] | We buy more cds than young people do, | 我们比年轻人买的CD更多 |
[22:04] | And yet we’re the focus of less than 10% of the advertising. | 但面向我们的广告连10%都没有 |
[22:08] | All the networks want to do is skew younger. | 电视网只愿意偏向年轻人 |
[22:10] | Kid shows for kids. | 小孩儿的节目给小孩儿看 |
[22:12] | You know, the only show unafraid to have its stars over 50 is “b”– | 唯一敢用50岁以上明星的节目 就是”波–“ |
[22:18] | Gee, I can’t say it. It would, um, break the wall. | 天 我不能说 墙会塌的 |
[22:20] | Oh, Mr. Suck. It’s still sack. | – Suck先生 – 还是Sack |
[22:23] | I can’t tell the networks what shows to make. | 电视网做什么节目我管不了 |
[22:25] | No, but you can order them not to discriminate. | 但你可以命令他们别歧视 |
[22:28] | What they’re doing intentionally excludes a class of society. | 他们在故意排挤社会的一部分 |
[22:32] | That’s bigotry. | 这是偏见 |
[22:34] | You know, we should be able to turn on our damn televisions | 我们需要能打开电视 |
[22:36] | And see something | 看一些节目 |
[22:37] | Other than reality shows aimed at fourth graders, | 不是给四年级生看的真人秀 |
[22:41] | Games shows aimed at those | 不是针对些 |
[22:42] | Slightly smarter than fifth graders | 比五年级的学生 智商高不了多少的游戏节目 |
[22:44] | And scripted shows | 还有那些有剧本的剧集 |
[22:46] | With dim-Witted, sex-Crazed 20-Somethings | 却都是讲些傻兮兮的 性生活混乱的 20多岁的人 |
[22:49] | Running around in suits or doctor scrubs. | 穿着西装或者医生的衣服 跑来跑去的事情 |
[22:52] | Old people, the ones with intelligence, | 睿智的老人 |
[22:53] | Don’t want to watch that crap. We’re fed up! | 不想看那些垃圾 我们已经厌倦透了! |
[22:56] | You know, the networks might think we’re dead, but we’re not. | 电视网可能以为我们已经死了 但我们还活着 |
[22:59] | We’re very much alive with working brains. | 我们还脑筋清醒的活着 |
[23:02] | Give us something to watch, damn it! | 给我们点节目看 该死! |
[23:13] | You ready, Denny? | 准备好了? Denny? |
[23:20] | Denny? | |
[23:28] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[23:30] | I must have nodded off. | 我肯定是睡着了 |
[23:33] | I was… | 我刚刚… |
[23:36] | dreaming about Shirley. | 梦见Shirley了 |
[23:39] | We were on a bench. | 我们在海滩上 |
[23:41] | She asked me to marry her. | 她向我求婚 |
[23:47] | What a dream. | 多美的梦啊 |
[23:53] | Were my eyes closed when you came in? | 你进来时我的眼睛是否闭着? |
[23:57] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[24:02] | You must have nodded off. | 你肯定是睡着了 |
[24:06] | You ready? | 准备好了? |
[24:06] | We’re due in court. | 该上庭了 |
[24:24] | Mr. Shore, the supreme court already ruled on this very issue. | Shore先生 最高法院已经对 此例作出裁决了 |
[24:27] | No, they didn’t, judge. | 不 他们没有 法官阁下 |
[24:29] | The supreme court, in fact, refused to rule on it. | 事实上 最高法院对此事作出裁决 |
[24:31] | They couldn’t be bothered to even hear the case. | 他们甚至听都不想进行听证 |
[24:33] | I’m sure if one of their friends were dying, | 我相信如果他们之中 有谁的朋友快死了 |
[24:35] | We would’ve had a different result. | 结果会大不相同 |
[24:36] | Oh, come on. | 拜托 |
[24:36] | Why can’t Mr. Crane take the drug and simply assume | 为什么Crane先生不能服药 |
[24:40] | All the inherent risks if he so chooses? | 如果他愿意承担所有风险? |
[24:43] | Because we don’t let people take drugs | 因为我们不允许人民服用 |
[24:44] | While they’re still in the investigative stage, | 仍在测试阶段的药物 |
[24:46] | And with good reason. | 这是有道理的 |
[24:47] | Think of the potential for abuse. | 考虑一下滥用药物的可能性 |
[24:49] | Potential for abuse? | 滥用药物的可能性? |
[24:52] | What’s the downside? He could die? | 还能坏成怎样? 他可能会死? |
[24:53] | He’s doing that anyway. | 他反正都要死了 |
[24:55] | No, he isn’t. He could live | 不 他可能活很久 |
[24:56] | -A long time with Alzheimer’s. -Which could be worse. | – 即便患有老年痴呆症 – 那更糟 |
[24:58] | And it’s possible the disease could take years to progress. | 也有可能此病会好几年后才恶化 |
[25:00] | He could have many healthy years while we– | 他可能仍可健康的活好几年 当我们– |
[25:02] | There are all kinds of possibilities and choices. | 有这么多的可能性和选择 |
[25:05] | Why can’t they belong to the patient? | 为何不能交由患者决断? |
[25:08] | There is still so much | 对于Dimebolin这种药 |
[25:09] | That is still so unknown about dimebolin that– | 还有太多未知的– |
[25:11] | Yes, and we’ll assume all of the risks. | 我们接受所有风险 |
[25:13] | -Do I ever get to speak? -I’d prefer you didn’t. | – 能让我说话吗? – 我希望你别说 |
[25:15] | -We’re wasting precious time. -Mr. Shore, | – 我们在浪费宝贵的时间 – Shore先生 |
[25:17] | I am a superior court judge. | 我是高等法院法官 |
[25:19] | I have to take my cues from the appellate court. | 我必须接受上诉法院的指示 |
[25:22] | On this issue, the law is clear. | 对于这个案子 法律已经明确规定 |
[25:25] | A patient, even a dying patient, | 患者 哪怕已经濒临死亡 |
[25:28] | Has no constitutional right to experimental treatment. | 也不能接受正在试验的治疗 |
[25:31] | Now do I agree with that precedent? No, not really. | 我个人是否同意? 不 |
[25:34] | So this is what I will do– | 所以这就是我将做的 |
[25:36] | I’ll certify it to the Massachusetts supreme court. | 我会将其送交麻省最高法院 |
[25:39] | Maybe they can find the authority | 也许他们能有权 |
[25:41] | To give you what you want. | 满足你们的需要 |
[25:43] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[25:49] | So now what? | 现在怎么办? |
[25:52] | We go to the state supreme court. | 我们去州最高法院 |
[25:54] | There’s nine of them. | 有九个法官呢 |
[25:55] | Let’s hope that at least one has a relative | 希望他们中至少有一个的亲人 |
[25:57] | Who has an incurable disease. | 得了绝症 |
[26:09] | When was the last time a pretty lady sat ne to you | 上次有美女坐你身边亲你耳垂 |
[26:13] | And sucked on your ear lobe? | 是多久以前的事儿了? |
[26:15] | And don’t count the number of times | 别把你得付钱的次数 |
[26:17] | You had to pay for it. | 算进去 |
[26:20] | How dare you? | 你怎么敢? |
[26:22] | I’m eating my lunch. | 我在吃午饭 |
[26:23] | Oh, come on, sweetheart. Throw an old lady a bone. | 拜托 甜心 给老女士一点恩赐 (硬起来) |
[26:27] | You are…. | 你真是个 |
[26:29] | a shocking woman! | 令人震惊的女人! |
[26:31] | Look, judge, I know this is–Is ex parte | 听我说 法官 这是个单边决定– |
[26:35] | Or some–Whatever, uh, uh, | 或是某个 呃 |
[26:37] | Some Latin term that means I can’t gum your body parts. | 某个拉丁用语 意思是我不能咬你身体的某个部分 |
[26:41] | But why don’t you just give me something good to watch on TV? | 可你难道就不能给我一点 好看的电视节目吗 |
[26:45] | I mean, the airwaves are a public trust. Am I right? | 我说 广播寄托着公众的信任 不是吗 |
[26:48] | Uh, Catherine, what are you doing? | Catherine 你在干吗? |
[26:50] | She’s trying to suck on my ear. | 她在试图舔我耳朵 |
[26:53] | That’s what she’s doing. | 她就在干这个 |
[26:54] | – Catherine -Outrageous! -Catherine, | – 不可容忍! |
[26:56] | Go inside the courthouse. | 回法院里去 |
[26:57] | I’ll meet you there. Now. | 我一会去那找你 现在就去 |
[27:08] | Ahem. I apologize, judge. | 我道歉 法官 |
[27:10] | You ask me, | 你问我 |
[27:11] | Your client already watches too much television. | 你的委托人看的电视已经够多了 |
[27:13] | -Ah. -And that smutty mouth. | 那个脏嘴 |
[27:15] | Sex, sex, sex, sex. | 性 性 性 |
[27:17] | That what you watch? | 你就看那个? |
[27:19] | Silence! | 肃静! |
[27:21] | Uh, well, you know, judge, | 你知道 法官 |
[27:23] | In addition to there being little for us to watch, | 现在不单为面向我们节目极少 |
[27:26] | Most of it stinks, | 大多数还很烂 |
[27:28] | And it’s partly this thing’s fault. | 多少有这玩意的责任 |
[27:30] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[27:32] | Well, a lot of people are on it while they’re watching. | 很多人看电视的同时也在玩这个 |
[27:34] | They no longer give television their undivided attention. | 他们不再专心一致看电视 |
[27:37] | We’re either on the phone | 或者在打电话 |
[27:38] | Or we’re texting or on the internet. | 或者写东西 或者在上网 |
[27:41] | So the producers, they dumb down the plots, | 所以制作人把情节拉慢 |
[27:44] | Make it easier to keep up with while their viewers multitask. | 让在干着别的事儿的观众 也能跟得上剧情 |
[27:49] | Really? | 真的? |
[27:50] | Kids nowadays watch an average of three hours of television a day. | 年轻人现在每天平均看3小时电视 |
[27:53] | That’s while being distracted. | 并且还不专心 |
[27:55] | People over 55, we watch 6 hours a day. | 我们55岁以上的人每天看6小时 |
[27:58] | And we really watch. | 并且我们是真的在看 |
[28:00] | So why aren’t they programming for us? | 为什么他们不为我们做节目呢 |
[28:02] | You know, come on, do these idiots a favor, judge. | 拜托 帮这群白痴个忙 法官 |
[28:05] | Send these network bozos a clue. Be a leader. | 给这些做电视的傻大个点提示 当一回领导 |
[28:08] | And we can’t wait for congress after all, | 我们不能等国会 |
[28:11] | Because, well, they’re bozos, too. | 他们也是傻大个 |
[28:23] | These are their minds they’re messing with. | 药物在搅乱他们的头脑 |
[28:25] | We don’t even know the long-Term damage. | 我们甚至不知长期会有何伤害 |
[28:28] | Now obviously, | 现在很明显 |
[28:29] | Short of requiring urinalysis at the S.A.T.S, | SAT考试缺乏尿检 |
[28:32] | We can’t monitor who is or isn’t using, | 我们不能检验谁在用谁不在用 |
[28:34] | But we can take a stand against the ones | 但我们可以反对 |
[28:37] | Who are brazen about it, | 对其厚颜鼓吹的人 |
[28:38] | Who defend it as acceptable and fair. | 认为这公平合理的人 |
[28:41] | Simply put, what Margie Coggins did | 简单的说 Margie Coggins的所作所为 |
[28:44] | Was decidedly unfair. | 绝对不公平 |
[28:46] | It’s cheating. | 这是作弊 |
[28:48] | Not in keeping with the ideals of Harvard. | 与哈佛的理念不符 |
[28:52] | I got into Harvard. | 我曾就读哈佛 |
[28:54] | Most don’t. | 很多人没有 |
[28:56] | Harvard rejects over 90% of its applicants. | 哈佛拒绝了90%以上的申请者 |
[28:58] | That’s 90% of the best high school students. | 那是最好的高中生中的90% |
[29:01] | The rest don’t even bother applying. | 剩下的人甚至都懒得申请 |
[29:04] | The problem is, | 问题是 |
[29:05] | Every parent wants their kid to go to Harvard. | 每个家长都希望孩子上哈佛 |
[29:09] | Parents push, nudge. Some kick. | 想方设法 无所不用 |
[29:12] | Look at the climate we’ve created. | 看看我们制造的环境吧 |
[29:14] | 80% of honors | 80% 诚实 |
[29:16] | And advance-Placement students cheat, | 而且优秀的学生 作弊 |
[29:18] | Not once or twice, but on a regular basis. | 不是一两次 而是成为习惯了 |
[29:21] | She didn’t. | 她没有 |
[29:23] | She didn’t get the test answers ahead of time. | 她没有预先去弄答案 |
[29:24] | She didn’t copy her neighbor’s paper. | 没有抄临座的试卷 |
[29:26] | She used her own brain. | 她用的是自己的大脑 |
[29:28] | Yes, she used a prescription stimulant to stay focused and alert. | 没错 她用了处方兴奋剂 以帮助保持专注和清醒 |
[29:32] | At least 30% of college students admit to doing the same thing. | 至少30%的大学学生承认有此行为 |
[29:36] | Not only are there currently no laws against it, | 不单目前没有法律加以禁止 |
[29:38] | There are currently no rules. | 连校规也没有 |
[29:40] | These kids grow up in a pervasive drug culture. | 这些孩子在流行磕药的文化中成长 |
[29:44] | We’ve got medications not just to treat diseases, | 我们的药物不但治病 |
[29:46] | But simply to help you do things better, | 有些纯粹只是为了帮助 你能把事儿做的更好 |
[29:48] | Be it sex, urinating, digesting. | 做爱 撒尿 消化 |
[29:50] | We’ve got some to boost energy, others to help you sleep. | 有些帮助提神 有些帮助睡眠 |
[29:53] | Better life, | 通过药物 |
[29:54] | More productive life through chemistry. | 生活更好更丰富 |
[29:58] | The drug we’re talking about here | 我们现在所说的这种药 |
[30:00] | Is used off label by many to boost brain power. | 很多人都以提高大脑能量为目的而使用 |
[30:03] | Personally… | 我自己… |
[30:05] | I’ve tried medication to help with my asperger’s. | 为了治疗我的艾斯伯格综合症也在 尝试各种药物 |
[30:09] | Some worked. | 有些起了效 |
[30:11] | They made me feel safer emotionally. | 它们让我在情感上感到安全 |
[30:16] | Should I not get that right? | 我不该拥有那种权利吗? |
[30:17] | Or are drugs for emotions okay, but cognition, no? | 为稳定情绪磕药就可以 为获得知识磕药就不行? |
[30:22] | Or should the rule be for disorder, yes, | 控制混乱就可以 |
[30:24] | But enhancement, no? | 增强性能就不行? |
[30:26] | Where do you draw that line? | 你们的分界线是什么? |
[30:28] | She didn’t have a prescription for the ones she took. | 她所服用的药物并没有处方 |
[30:30] | True, but many kids do this. She’s no different. | 是的 但是很多学生都这么干 她没什么特别 |
[30:33] | -Except she got caught. -She didn’t get caught. | – 她被抓住了 – 她没被抓住 |
[30:35] | She was simply honest about it. | 她只不过对此坦诚 |
[30:36] | Honesty–That’s the infraction | 诚实–正是诚实使她的 |
[30:38] | That’s getting her bounced on moral character grounds. | 被基于道德品质的原因而取消入学资格 |
[30:41] | Hypocrisy might be a better word. | 或许说伪善更合适 |
[31:21] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[31:23] | I’m giving the bride away, remember? | 我在送新娘 记得吗 |
[31:25] | -Oh. -I’m practicing. | 我在练习 |
[31:30] | I want to get it right. | 我想把事情做好 |
[31:34] | And she’s gonna make a magnificent bride… | 她会成为最美的新娘 |
[31:37] | for the seventh time. | 第七次 |
[31:38] | Yeah. | 是 |
[31:43] | Need something? | 有什么需要吗 |
[31:46] | Denny, the Massachusetts supreme court, | Denny 麻省最高法院 |
[31:49] | They said no. | 不接受 |
[31:51] | Oh, jeez. | 噢 天 |
[31:55] | Any appeal? | 上诉了吗 |
[31:56] | Well, to the U.S. Supreme court, | 上诉至美国最高法院 |
[31:58] | But they’ve already refused to hear this very argument, so… | 但他们已经拒绝听取这次辩论 |
[32:02] | so now what? | 那怎么办? |
[32:03] | I’m not sure. | 我不确定 |
[32:05] | We can try to get you into the clinical trials. | 我们可以试试把你搞进临床试验 |
[32:09] | -We could go to Russia. -We could. | – 我们可以去俄罗斯 – 可以 |
[32:11] | Or we could go to Atlanta. | 或者去亚特兰大 |
[32:12] | I hear the Russians have kinda taken over Georgia, | 我似乎听说俄罗斯接管了乔治亚 (亚特兰大是乔治亚州的首府) |
[32:15] | -So we could go to Atlanta. -It’s another Georgia | – 所以我们可以去亚特兰大 – 那是另外一个乔治亚 (乔治亚苏维埃社会主义共和国) |
[32:18] | That the Russians have gotten involved with– | 跟俄罗斯有关的– |
[32:19] | Then we’ll go to the real Russia. | 那我们去真的俄罗斯 |
[32:20] | They got magnificent salmon streams | 他们有很棒的三文鱼流 |
[32:23] | And no fish farms. | 没有养鱼场 |
[32:26] | What a road trip. | 外出旅行! |
[32:27] | Can you imagine you and me on the loose in Russia? | 你能想象我们在俄罗斯任意妄为吗 |
[32:31] | That would be something. Go fly-Fishing with Putin. | – 那肯定很不错 – 和普京一起钓鱼 |
[32:33] | Look him in the eye, see his soul. | 看进他眼睛里去 看到他的灵魂 |
[32:35] | Tell him to keep his big, ugly head out of Alaskan airspace. | 让他别把他的大脑壳靠近阿拉斯加领空 |
[32:43] | Right after the wedding. | 婚礼之后就去 |
[32:46] | Off to Russia. | 俄罗斯 |
[33:00] | All right. | 好吧 |
[33:01] | I can’t solve the brain enhancement debate | 我不能用一次裁决就解决 |
[33:04] | With one ruling. | 关于提升大脑的争论 |
[33:06] | But in this case, | 但在此案中 |
[33:08] | The plaintiff didn’t have a prescription. | 原告没有处方 |
[33:09] | What she did was illegal. | 她的行为违反了法律 |
[33:12] | I am not ordering Harvard to reinstate her. | 我不会要求哈佛重新录取她 |
[33:15] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[33:20] | Wh-What do I do now? | 我现在怎么办? |
[33:28] | What’s this? | 这是干什么? |
[33:30] | Well… this… | 呃 这是… |
[33:34] | would be… a-A lecture, I guess. | 一堂课 我想 |
[33:38] | You said you geared your whole life | 你说你一生都在为 |
[33:40] | Toward getting into Harvard. | 进入哈佛而努力 |
[33:42] | And now you think it’s the end of the world | 现在你觉得是世界末日 |
[33:45] | That… | 那… |
[33:47] | it’s this very uber-Super-Competitive mentality that caused you | 是这种超级竞争性的心态 |
[33:51] | To take the pills in the first place, Margie, and– | 让你那时候会磕药 |
[33:54] | Mr. Espenson, you did get into Harvard. | Espenson先生 你进了哈佛 |
[33:55] | And it changed nothing. | 但那什么也没改变 |
[33:57] | I still popped, purred, hopped. | 还是不停咂嘴 喉咙里乱响 单脚跳 |
[33:59] | I was still ridiculed. Harvard didn’t change it. | 我还是被嘲笑 哈佛并未改变这种情况 |
[34:02] | But I was so sure law school would, | 但那时我还相信法学院可以 |
[34:05] | Because everybody respects lawyers. | 因为人人都尊重律师 |
[34:07] | So I studied, studied, made top of my class. | 所以我努力学习成为班里第一 |
[34:10] | It changed nothing. | 可还是什么也没变 |
[34:11] | But I was positive making partner would. | 然后我认定做了合伙人就可以 |
[34:15] | Well… guess what. | 你猜怎么着 |
[34:18] | None of it can give you self-Acceptance. | 这些都不能给你自我承认 |
[34:21] | For that, you need– | 想要自我承认 你需要– |
[34:23] | A different drug? | 另一种药? |
[34:24] | Exactly. And–No. No! | 是的 不不! |
[34:26] | For self-Acceptance, you need to go to a far deeper, perhaps darker, | 想要自我承认 你需要到达更深 或许更黑暗 |
[34:30] | Certainly scarier place. | 更可怕的地方 |
[34:33] | Your problem, Margie, is your priorities. | Margie 你的问题是 正确决定事情的优先顺序 |
[34:37] | Harvard isn’t going to give you what’s most important in life. | 哈佛不能给你生命中最重要的东西 |
[34:40] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[34:54] | At first, I thought this case was like every other case | 一开始我以为此案如同 该荒谬的律师事务所 |
[34:57] | Brought by this… ridiculous law firm– | 呈交的所有案子一样 |
[34:59] | Ridiculous and outrageous. | 荒谬绝伦 出离愤怒 |
[35:02] | But I can’t ignore, | 但我不能否认 |
[35:03] | Ageism is one of the last socially condoned bigotries. | 年龄歧视是仅存的社会偏执之一 |
[35:09] | And it is rampant in this broadcast network business. | 电视网公司很猖狂 |
[35:14] | They consider those of us over 50 to be irrelevant. | 他们觉得我们50岁以上的人无关紧要 |
[35:18] | How is it possible | 这怎么可能 |
[35:19] | That we are not even a part of the target demo | 我们居然不是目标观众的一部分花的钱最多 |
[35:21] | When we watch the most television | 尤其是在当我们看的电视最多 |
[35:24] | And spend the most money? | 花的钱最多的情况下 |
[35:26] | My god, there are 87 million of us, | 天哪 我们这样的老年人有8千7百万 |
[35:28] | And that number will grow by 31 million more by 2020. | 到2020年这个数次会增加3千1百万 |
[35:33] | Are you really telling me that it doesn’t make sense | 你们难道要告诉我 做我们喜闻乐见的节目 |
[35:36] | To make television shows that we want to watch? | 是毫无意义的? |
[35:39] | If I am to assume | 请容我假设 |
[35:40] | That the industry is not run by a bunch of idiots, | 管理这项事业的人并不是白痴 |
[35:43] | Then I can only conclude that it’s dominated by prejudice. | 那我只能认为这是由偏见所主导的 |
[35:47] | The case stands. | 此案成立 |
[35:51] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[35:57] | Well, well, well. | 哇噢 哇噢 |
[36:00] | Congratulations, Catherine. | 祝贺你 Catherine |
[36:02] | You know… | 你知道 |
[36:03] | old people have active sex lives, too. | 老年人也有活跃的性生活 |
[36:08] | My trailer or yours? | 去我的拖车还是你的? |
[36:20] | [you are] | 你是 |
[36:22] | [so beautiful] | 如此美丽 |
[36:27] | [to me] | 在我眼中 |
[36:36] | [you are] | 你是 |
[36:38] | [so beautiful] | 如此美丽 |
[36:43] | [to me] | 在我眼中 |
[36:59] | Denny. | |
[37:02] | Oh, hey… | 哦 嘿 |
[37:03] | Carl. | |
[37:06] | Uh, I was, uh… | 我只是 呃… |
[37:10] | just practicing. | 在练习 |
[37:13] | I-I want to give her away right. | 我希望送她的时候别出错 |
[37:18] | Listen, I, um… | 听着 我… |
[37:20] | I appreciate you being such a… | 我感谢你 |
[37:25] | well, a great sport about this. | 在这事上如此有体育精神 |
[37:27] | I know that on some level, it– | 我知道 在某种程度上 它… |
[37:31] | What?! Oh, my jiminy Christmas! | 什么?! 噢! 这个圣诞节太棒了! |
[37:32] | Denny! Denny! We’re goin’ back! We’re goin’ back! | Denny! Denny! 我们回去了! 我们回去了! |
[37:35] | -We’re goin’ back! -What are you talk– | – 我们回去了? – 你在说什么… |
[37:37] | The case! The case! | 官司! 官司! The case! |
[37:38] | I just got off the phone with the clerk’s office. | 我刚接到秘书办公室的电话 |
[37:39] | -The Massachusetts– -Slow down. | – 麻省… – 慢点说 |
[37:41] | -We’re on our way! -R-Russia? | – 我们要出发了! – 去俄罗斯? |
[37:44] | -Not Russia. -Atlanta? | – 不是俄罗斯 – 亚特兰大? |
[37:45] | No, Washington! The Massachusetts supreme court, | 不 华盛顿! 麻省最高法院 |
[37:48] | On their own initiative, | 主动上诉至 |
[37:49] | Petitioned the U.S. Supreme court. | 美国最高法院 |
[37:50] | This time, they agreed to hear it. | 这次他们愿意听听了 |
[37:52] | Hear what? | 听什么? |
[37:53] | -Our case! -What?! | – 这个案子! – 什么?! |
[37:54] | -We’re going back to the supreme court! -When? | – 我们要重回最高法院了! – 几时? |
[37:57] | -Next week. -Next week? | – 下周 – 下周? |
[37:58] | -Next week! -Oh! | – 下周! – 噢! |
[37:59] | Supreme court! | 最高法院!最高法院!最高法院! Supreme court! Supreme court! |
[38:03] | Sorry, Carl. Don’t mean to exclude you. | 抱歉 Carl 无意孤立你 |
[38:04] | Supreme court! Supreme court! | 最高法院!最高法院! 最高法院!最高法院! Supreme court! Supreme court! |
[38:19] | Working late again? | 又加班? |
[38:22] | It’s a myth the workload drops when you make partner. | 说升做合伙人工作量就会减少那是假的 |
[38:25] | Get out while you still can. | 还是及时抽身退步吧 |
[38:31] | Jerry, can I say something? | Jerry 我能说吗 |
[38:35] | Your comment about you being weaker than… | 你所说的你是弱者… |
[38:39] | I’ve been thinking about it, and I disagree. | 我想过了 我不这么认为 |
[38:41] | I quite think you might be | 我倒很认为你可能会是 |
[38:43] | The bravest person I’ve ever met. | 我见过的人中最勇敢的 |
[38:47] | Why? | 为什么 |
[38:47] | Just the way you take on your various challenges every day. | 单说每天你面对各种挑战的方式 |
[38:52] | There aren’t many men like you, jerry. | 没多少人能像你这样 Jerry |
[38:59] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[39:04] | How about we go for a drink? | 我们去喝一杯怎样? |
[39:06] | We had a good day. | 今天过的不错 |
[39:07] | We actually lost, come to think of it. All the more reason. | 我们案子输了 仔细想想 又多了条该喝酒的理由 |
[39:10] | -Shall we? -As colleagues? | – 怎样? – 作为同事? |
[39:15] | Jerry, let’s go for a drink. | Jerry 我们去喝一杯 |
[39:19] | I’ll meet you by the elevator? | 我在电梯口等你 |
[39:45] | Do you think the supreme court, | 你认为最高法院 |
[39:48] | When they agreed to take this case, | 他们同意接这单案子的时候 |
[39:50] | Knew it was us? | 知道是我们吗 |
[39:51] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[39:54] | Maybe they want a rematch. | 也许他们想再比一次 |
[39:56] | Ha! You’ll kick their asses again. | 你可以再给他们点颜色看看 |
[40:00] | They’ll have to bring in more justices. | 他们得有更多法官 |
[40:02] | I’m thinking they’re only allowed the nine. | 我想他们只能有九个 |
[40:06] | Hey, maybe I’ll retire after this. | 也许这事结束了我就退休 |
[40:09] | -Don’t be ridiculous. -Well, what better way to go out? | – 别开玩笑了 – 还有更好的结束方式吗 |
[40:11] | My last case–In front of the supreme court. | 我的最后一案–在最高法院面前 |
[40:16] | Now there’s a finale, Alan. They should put it on TV. | – 这就是大结局了 Alan – 应该在电视上转播 |
[40:20] | We’d get ratings. If they promoted us, | – 我们的收视率会提高的哦 – 如果他们给我们做广告的话 |
[40:21] | Of course, I think there’s a law against promoting us. | 当然 我想有条法律禁止给我们做广告的 |
[40:23] | Seems to be. | 看来是有的 |
[40:28] | What would you do if you retired, Denny, seriously? | Denny 说真的 如果退休了你会干什么 |
[40:33] | Fish. | 钓鱼 |
[40:34] | Every day? | 每天? |
[40:35] | Not every day. I’d have sex some days. | 不是每天 有些天我得做爱 |
[40:38] | Maybe I should invite Ruth Bader Ginsburg | 也许我该邀请Ruth Bader Ginsburg |
[40:41] | To come to Nimmo Bay with me. | 和我一起去Nimmo海滩 |
[40:43] | What about me? | 那我呢? |
[40:44] | You can borrow magazines from Clarence Thomas. | 你可以向Clarence Thomas借杂志 |
[40:49] | Oh, won’t they be so happy to see us again? | 他们又见到我们会不会很开心? |
[40:53] | -The rematch. | – 重赛 – 重赛 -The rematch. |
[40:55] | -Grand finale. -Special 9:00 start time. | – 终季大结局 – 9:00开始 |
[41:05] | I made another decision today. | 我今天又做了一个决定 |
[41:09] | Which is? | 是什么? |
[41:11] | I’m not dying. | 我不要死 |
[41:13] | I like that idea. | 我喜欢这个主意 |
[41:15] | I’m gonna get my hands on this drug one way or another. | 我用尽办法也要得到这个药 |
[41:18] | Hell, this is America. If we have to, we’ll– | 他妈的 这是美国 如果需要的话 我们可以 |
[41:20] | Bribe. | 行贿 |
[41:21] | Damn right. | 真他妈的对 |
[41:23] | And even if I fail, | 就算我失败了 |
[41:25] | They say if you keep getting excited about life, | 据说只要你对生活保持热情 |
[41:28] | The blood rushes to your brain better. | 血液就会更多的涌向大脑 |
[41:32] | I’ll love life, Alan, | 我要爱生活 Alan |
[41:34] | Even if it kills me. | 就算它杀了我 |
[41:36] | I’ll fish, I’ll be with you. | 我要钓鱼 我要和你在一起 |
[41:42] | I’ll love life, Alan. | 我要爱生活 Alan |
[41:47] | And next week, I’ll love life in Washington | 下个礼拜我会爱在华盛顿 |
[41:49] | In front of the supreme court. | 在最高法院面前的生活 |
[41:51] | And after that, I’ll love it in–In Nimmo Bay– | 在那之后 我会爱在Nimmo海滩边的生活 |
[41:54] | -With Ruth Bader Ginsburg. -She wants me. | – 和Ruth Bader Ginsburg一起 – 她想要我 |
[41:56] | I saw that. | 看得出来 |
[41:56] | Hey, maybe she persuaded them to take this case. | 说不定是她说服他们接受这案子 |
[41:59] | To be closer to you. | 为了接近你 |
[42:00] | Oh, Ruthie, Ruthie, Ruthie. | 噢 Ruthie Ruthie Ruthie |
[42:05] | Here we come. | 我们来了 |