时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:15] | Oh, I’m terribly sorry. | 非常抱歉 |
[00:17] | I didn’t see you there. | 我没来看到你在那 |
[00:18] | How may I help you? | 有什么能为您效劳的吗 |
[00:20] | Uh, I’m looking for, uh, Carl Sack. | 我在找…呃…Carl Sack |
[00:23] | I’m Carl Sack. | 我就是Carl Sack |
[00:24] | You’re Carl Sack? | 你是Carl Sack? |
[00:25] | At your service. | 随时为您服务 |
[00:27] | Full service. | 全程服务 |
[00:28] | Um, I’ve seen photographs of Mr. Sack and– | 我已经见过Sack先生的照片了 而且 |
[00:30] | I look shorter in person, and fatter and– | 我本人看起来矮一点 胖一点 还… |
[00:32] | Hello, Denny. | 好啊 Denny |
[00:35] | I’m Carl Sack. | 我是Carl Sack |
[00:35] | He’s got the mad cow. | 他得了疯牛病 |
[00:37] | – I’m Jenny Pratt. – It makes him think he’s Carl– | – 我是Jenny Pratt – 这让他觉得自己是Carl… |
[00:38] | Yes. Um, let’s go to my office. | 好的 还是去我的办公室吧 |
[00:40] | Okay. | 好的 |
[00:49] | There were a dozen eyewitnesses, and they all tell the same story. | 现场有许多的目击证人 而且他们口径一致 |
[00:54] | Dwayne Willis was brought in a little before 9:00 p.m. | Dwayne Willis在晚上9点前几分 被带进执行室 |
[00:57] | They strapped him down on the table and hooked up the two I.V.s, one in each arm. | 他们把他捆在桌子上 然后将两个 静脉管分别插入两支手臂 |
[01:02] | The first drug is supposed to render the condemned man unconscious. | 第一支药水注入本该 让这个受刑之人失去知觉 |
[01:06] | It didn’t. | 但却没有 |
[01:07] | It was now 10 past 9:00. | 时间显示为9点10分 |
[01:10] | The drugs had been going into him for nearly ten minutes. | 药水已经注入他体内将近10分钟了 |
[01:14] | That’s when officer Holt started getting worried. More time goes by. | Holt警官开始担忧了 时间不断的流逝 |
[01:18] | Willis has been hooked up to the drip for 20 minutes now. | Willis这时已经注射药水长达20分钟了 |
[01:22] | He’s still conscious. | 但他还是存在意识 |
[01:24] | An argument breaks out. | 这时候争吵爆发了 |
[01:26] | The tech wants to pull the I.V.s out and try again. | 技术人员想要拔出静脉管 再试一次 |
[01:29] | Another guard says no, just increase the dosage. | 另一个守卫不同意 只是一味的增加了剂量 |
[01:38] | Then Willis starts thrashing around. | 然后Willis开始癫痫起来 |
[01:41] | His chest is heaving. He is gasping, choking. It’s horrifying. | 他的胸膛起起伏伏 因为窒息而拼命喘气 场面极其可怖 |
[01:46] | And Holt says, “do something”… but nobody knows what to do. | 这时Holt说”做点什么吧” 但是没人知道该怎么办 |
[01:51] | Willis has been hooked up for a half-hour now. | Willis此时已经注射长达半小时了 |
[01:54] | He’s not even unconscious. | 他非但没有失去知觉 |
[01:56] | He’s gagging and thrashing, and that’s when Holt just snapped. | 而是呼吸困难 不停的癫痫 这时候Holt终于忍不住了 |
[02:01] | I don’t know! | 我不知道 |
[02:04] | He fired one round into Willis’ head. | 他朝Willi的头部开了一枪 |
[02:10] | Willis died instantly. | Willis立即死亡 |
[02:13] | He’s charged with murder two, | 他也被控告二级谋杀罪 |
[02:15] | but the D.A. is willing to knock it down to manslaughter, | 但是地方法院检察官同意 降为过失致死罪 |
[02:17] | only Holt won’t take the deal. | 只是Holt不同意接受 |
[02:20] | Ms. Pratt– | Pratt女士 |
[02:21] | Jenny. | 叫我Jenny |
[02:21] | There must be many lawyers in Virginia who could do this. | 维吉尼亚州很多律师 都能处理这样的案子吧 |
[02:24] | Yeah, I need an advocate | 是的 我需要一个 |
[02:25] | who can speak forcefully against the death penalty itself. | 强烈倡议反对死刑的人 |
[02:28] | Jenny, whatever one’s feelings are on the death penalty… | Jenny 不管任何人对死刑有什么看法 |
[02:31] | For it. | 自然支持它了 |
[02:33] | It’s moot here. | 这都是没有实际意义的 |
[02:34] | Your client… | 你的委托人 |
[02:36] | carried out a death sentence, albeit in a unique fashion. | 执行了一次死刑 用了很独特的一种方式 |
[02:40] | But the legal issue is also unique. | 但是这个法律问题也是很独特的 |
[02:41] | I mean, is it even possible to murder a man who’s being executed? | 我的意思是 要谋杀一个正在处以死刑的人 这话说的通吗 |
[02:44] | Double homicide. Happens all the time. | 双重杀人 时有发生 |
[02:46] | A double homicide is when two people are killed, Denny. | 双重杀人发生在 两个人都被杀的情况下 Danny |
[02:49] | What’s your point? | 你想说什么 |
[02:52] | Listen, Jenny, I’m not s– | 听着 Jenny 我不… |
[02:53] | Carl, Virginia is a swing state, and I’ve always wanted to swing. | Carl 维吉尼亚州是一个摇摆州 我一直很想摇摆(换妻) |
[02:57] | – Denny – Carl, we need to bond. | – Carl 我们得增进感情 – Denny. |
[02:59] | Hell, man, this is our last season. | 天哪 这是我们最后一年了 |
[03:01] | If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life, it’s never, ever say no to a road trip. | 要说我人生道路上唯一学到的就是 如果能出远门的话永远不要说”不” |
[04:03] | I just couldn’t watch him suffer anymore. | 我只是不忍心再看他受煎熬下去了 |
[04:06] | If I had to do it over again, I’d do the same thing. | 要是一切重演 我还是会这么做的 |
[04:08] | You only fired the one shot? | 你只开了一枪? |
[04:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:11] | We could go with defense of others, | 我们可以用维护他人为理由做辩解 |
[04:12] | but since you went into the room to participate in executing the man, | 但是因为你走进了房间 参与了对这个人实施的死刑 |
[04:17] | – I don’t think that– – I didn’t go in to torture him. | – 我不认为… – 我进去不是为了折磨他 |
[04:21] | Another approach, uh, would be a version of diminished capacity. | 是另一种方式 只不过是 思考能力下降做出的方式 |
[04:25] | You were overcome with compassion– | 你被同情心冲昏了头脑 |
[04:26] | In Virginia? | 对于在维吉尼亚州来说? |
[04:28] | Moreover, your years of witnessing executions could have taken a mental toll. | 此外 你常年目击死刑执行 也会造成精神损伤 |
[04:33] | I’m not arguing that. | 我不需要这样辩解 |
[04:34] | Um, how about… | 那么… |
[04:38] | simple temporary insanity? You saw a man suffering. You snapped. You w– | 普通暂时性的精神错乱 你看见一个人受折磨你崩溃了 你… |
[04:42] | No! I knew exactly what I did while I was doing it. | 不是 我做的时候 清楚知道自己在干什么 |
[04:45] | I’d do it again. | 我还是会这么做的 |
[04:50] | We don’t have a lot to go with here. | 我们实在是没有太多可以辩解的理由 |
[04:52] | I won’t say I was insane. | 我不会承认我精神错乱的 |
[05:13] | You want us to just cut him loose? | 你想让我们放他一马 |
[05:15] | You make it sound as if he’s strung up somewhere. | 你这话听起来好像 他已经被绞死了一样 |
[05:17] | Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. | 不要言之过早 |
[05:18] | Mr. Sack, uh, you’re a stranger here. | Sack先生 这个领域你不熟 |
[05:20] | I knew it. They plan to play the stranger card. | 我知道 他们计划出门外汉这张牌 |
[05:22] | Aren’t we all brothers, my friend? | 难道我们不是兄弟吗 朋友 |
[05:25] | – This is a very serious matter. – Yes, it is. | – 这是一个非常严重的事态 – 是的 确实 |
[05:28] | So I thought perhaps we could be serious for a second. | 所以我想可能我们应该严肃以待了 |
[05:32] | You don’t mean to tell a jury of your fellow Virginians that shooting a man | 你的意思不会是 跟你维吉尼亚人组成的陪审团说 |
[05:37] | the Commonwealth was in the process of killing | 射杀一个正在被联邦政府 执行死刑中的人 |
[05:40] | was murder or manslaughter or in fact any crime at all? | 这是一种谋杀 或者过失杀人 或者是其他的犯罪 |
[05:43] | It was a crime, according to the law. | 这是一种犯罪 根据法律来讲 |
[05:45] | Understood, but a D.A. has discretion whether to charge, do they not? | 明白 但是地方法院检察官 在慎重考虑是否要起诉 不是吗 |
[05:49] | – Good ones do. – Well, he looks good. | – 好的那些就这么做 – 他看起来不赖 |
[05:50] | – He looks great. – Best I’ve seen. | – 他看起来很不错 – 我见过中最好的 |
[05:51] | Me, too. | 我也觉得 |
[05:52] | Look… | 听着 |
[05:53] | I am not dismissing the charges. | 我不会撤下起诉的 |
[05:56] | He is going on trial for murder. | 他会以谋杀罪受审的 |
[05:58] | You’re not my brother anymore, | 你不再是我的兄弟了 |
[05:59] | which I believe leaves me free to have sex with your sister. | 所以我可以和你的妹妹随意乱搞了 |
[06:03] | We try to make our cases fun. | 我们尽力让这个案子很有趣 |
[06:13] | I can’t thank you enough for seeing me, Alan. | 你能接见我真是太感谢了 Alan |
[06:15] | Please. | 请坐 |
[06:19] | So I hear you’ve become quite the busy man these days, huh? | 听说你最近忙的焦头烂额的 是吗 |
[06:23] | Big lawyer. | 大律师 |
[06:25] | – A celebrity of sorts? – Oh, well, no. | – 那种大名人型的? – 才不是 |
[06:28] | Well, you look great. | 你看起来很精神 |
[06:29] | – Thank you. – Yeah. | – 谢谢 – 是的 |
[06:31] | You know, I always figured you to age fat and bald. | 你知道吗 我一直以为你年纪大了以后 会变成一个发福的秃头男人 |
[06:33] | Well, I was lucky enough to stave off the evil that so ages men. | 因为我幸运地躲开了让男人变老的恶魔 |
[06:38] | Which is? | 是什么 |
[06:39] | Marriage. | 结婚 |
[06:42] | What’s up, Mar | 有什么事吗 mar |
[06:45] | Well, unfortunately, I was fired from my job. | 很不幸 我被解雇了 |
[06:48] | – Aw. – Yeah. | – 哦 – 是的 |
[06:49] | A very good job, I might add. | 我得加一句 一份非常好的工作 |
[06:50] | I was district sales manager for a software company, | 我是一个软件公司的小区销售经理 |
[06:53] | in line to become regional sales manager. | 快提升为大区销售经理 |
[06:55] | Now I know that this may be hard to prove, | 我想可能这很难证明 |
[06:58] | but I think I got fired because I voted for John McCain. | 但是我认为我被解雇是因为 我投票给了约翰麦凯恩 |
[07:01] | My boss and I, we got into this big fight over the election. | 我的老板和我在投票上有很大争执 |
[07:04] | And as soon as I told him who I voted for, | 我和他说我投了谁之后 |
[07:07] | he just got this look of disgust on his face, as… | 他的脸上就浮现出这副恶心的表情 就像… |
[07:12] | not entirely dissimilar to the expression on your face at the moment. | 跟你现在脸上的那副表情一模一样 |
[07:15] | But anyway, uh, so he fired me. | 但是 总之 他解雇了我 |
[07:18] | Did he, uh, give you a reason? | 他给你说明原因了吗 |
[07:20] | No. No, they don’t have to give a reason anymore. | 没有 他们现在不用给出任何理由 |
[07:23] | They’re advised by their labor lawyers not to. | 他们的劳动法律师建议他们这么做的 |
[07:26] | But I know it was because I voted for McCain. | 但是我知道是因为我投票给了麦凯恩 |
[07:29] | I can feel it in my bones, Alan. | 我确信 Alan |
[07:33] | And the prisoner started gasping for breath and moving around on the table. | 这时囚犯开始大口喘气 在桌子上移动 |
[07:36] | Is that uncommon? | 这算是反常的吗 |
[07:38] | It’s happened before. | 以前也发生过 |
[07:39] | No two lethal injections ever seem to go exactly the same way. | 这两种致命注射剂 发挥的作用不是完全一致的 |
[07:42] | There was a lot of screaming and yelling. | 周围大声尖叫呼喊 |
[07:44] | Officer Holt became very… | Holt警官变得非常… |
[07:47] | upset. | 心烦意乱 |
[07:48] | Then he suddenly pulled out his gun and shot the prisoner in the head. | 然后他突然拿出枪 朝犯人的头上开了一枪 |
[07:51] | Are you familiar with the case Emmett v. Johnson? | 你熟悉Emett V.Johnson的案例吗 |
[07:55] | I’ve heard of it. | 我听说过 |
[07:56] | Something like lethal injection is cruel and barbaric. | 关于注入致命注射器是残暴野蛮的行为 |
[07:59] | Something like. | 大致是这样的 |
[08:00] | According to briefs filed in that case, | 根据那个案件中记录下来的简报 |
[08:02] | Virginia’s method in particular carries a greater risk of inflicting pain | 维吉尼亚州的行刑方法 |
[08:06] | than the method used in Kentucky, | 比肯塔基州的方法对犯人更有可能 造成更多的痛苦 |
[08:08] | which the Supreme Court approved. | 而肯塔基州的方法得到了最高法院的同意 |
[08:10] | Our methods are substantially the same. | 我们的方法和他们的是基本一致的 |
[08:11] | The briefing includes evidence that members of the death team, | 简报中也有证据表明 执行死刑小组中的成员 |
[08:15] | including, I assume, you, don’t understand how the drugs work, | 包括 我估计 你 不了解药剂是如何产生作用的 |
[08:19] | don’t know how to properly administer an I.V. | 不知道如何合理的进行静脉注射 |
[08:21] | and don’t know how to correctly observe the inmate during the execution | 也不知道在执行过程中 如何正确的观察犯人 |
[08:24] | to determine if anything is going wrong. | 以确定执行过程中是否有偏失 |
[08:26] | That’s– that’s an argument in a lawsuit. | 这是…这是某起诉讼中的论点 |
[08:28] | There’s another argument on the other side. Why don’t you read that? | 也有另一种不同的论点 你为什么不也去看看呢 |
[08:30] | Oh, I’m… | 我肯定也有啦 |
[08:32] | are you aware that a prominent medical society | 你是否意识到医学发达的社会 |
[08:35] | has found Virginia’s method of execution unacceptable? | 认为维吉尼亚州的 死刑执行方式令人难以接受 |
[08:39] | I know doctors have an issue with the death penalty in general, | 我知道 通常医生对死刑都存在疑议 |
[08:43] | so it wouldn’t surprise me if some physicians’ group said that. | 所以如果有一些医生组织这么认为 我并不感到惊讶 |
[08:45] | Neither would I, | 我也不惊讶 |
[08:46] | except the group I’m referring to | 除非我提到的这个组织 |
[08:48] | happens to be the American Veterinary Medical Association. | 恰恰是美国兽医医学组织 |
[08:52] | Some vets have banned your lethal injection protocol | 有一些兽医已经不再采用 你们的药物注射致死流程 |
[08:56] | because the method Virginia uses on humans | 因为维吉尼亚州在犯人身上行刑的方式 |
[08:59] | is considered too barbaric to be used on cats and dogs. | 用在猫和狗的身上都显得惨无人道 |
[09:01] | Objection. | 我反对 |
[09:02] | The A.V.M.A. has said that their report was misinterpreted. | 美国兽医医学组织申明 他们的报告被曲解了 |
[09:05] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[09:06] | Mr. Sack, this case is not about the legitimacy of the death penalty. | Sack先生 这个案件并不是关于 死刑的合法性 |
[09:12] | And if that’s where you’re coming from, | 如果你是为此而来的 |
[09:14] | you can tuck in your little tail and head on back to Massachusetts. | 你可以收起你的傲慢 回你的马萨诸塞州去了 |
[09:17] | Your honor, I’m very proud of my home state– | 法官大人 我对自己的家乡感到非常自豪 |
[09:18] | home of the Red Sox, the Patriots, Mitt. | 红袜子棒球队 爱国者橄榄球队 总统候选人Mitt的家乡 |
[09:21] | We take our laws here in Virginia very seriously, sir. | 我们对维吉尼亚州的法律 是非常严肃负责的 先生 |
[09:24] | Do you take this case seriously? | 你们对这个案件也是严肃的吗? |
[09:25] | Show of hands. Because, you know, it is a bit silly. | 是的人举一下手吧 因为 这看起来有点傻 |
[09:28] | – Objection. – There’s a man on trial here | – 反对 – 这里有一个被审判的人 |
[09:30] | for trying to kill somebody the state was already killing. | 因为他杀了一个政府已经正在杀的人 |
[09:33] | If anything, my client accomplished the death penalty. | 如果有什么的话 那也是我的委托人完成了这个死刑 |
[09:35] | Mr. Sack– | Sack先生 |
[09:36] | the legitimacy of which I certainly would never question, | 对死刑的合法性我毫无异议 |
[09:38] | particularly in Virginia. | 特别是在维吉尼亚州 |
[09:39] | – Your honor! – Mr. Sack– | – 法官大人 – Sack先生 |
[09:40] | Oh, how about torture? Are we for that? | 说一下折磨如何 我们赞成这一点吗 |
[09:42] | – I’m warning you. – Because this man was being tortured. | – 我警告你 – 因为这个犯人备受折磨 |
[09:44] | – That’s why my client pulled the trigger… – Objection, your honor! | – 所以我的委托人才开了枪 – 反对 法官大人 |
[09:47] | – Order. Order! Order! Objection! – To spare horrendous suffering! | – 安静 安静 安静 反对 – 为了摆脱可怕的折磨而已 |
[09:51] | Get control of the room, will you, judge? | 维持一下秩序 行吗 法官 |
[09:55] | Bailiff. | 法警 |
[10:15] | Blank. What’s his problem? | 毫无头绪 怎么回事 |
[10:18] | How’d you even get the gun in the courtroom? | 你是怎么把枪带上法庭的呢 |
[10:20] | Oh, please. | 拜托 |
[10:21] | Denny… | |
[10:22] | – What are you doing? – Will you relax? | – 你在干什么 – 别紧张 |
[10:25] | Like I said, firstly, it was blank, secondly… | 就像我说的 首先 毫无头绪 其次 |
[10:28] | This is Virginia. | 这里是维吉尼亚州 |
[10:30] | My approval rating went up in that room. I’m a hero to those people. | 在那房间里我的支持率上升了 我就是那些人的英雄 |
[10:33] | I couldn’t be more popular if I got kids to smoke cigarettes. | 要是我再能让孩子们沾上烟瘾的话 我会更受欢迎的 |
[10:38] | Carl, don’t leave me here. I can’t swing in here. | Carl 别把我丢在这里 我可不想在这里换妻 |
[10:43] | Alan’s way more fun. | Alan比你有趣多了 |
[10:53] | I appreciate you making the time to see me. | 我很感激你能抽时间来见我 |
[10:56] | Oh, sure. Well, actually, my lawyer told me not to see you, | 当然 虽然实际上我的律师 让我不见你为妙 |
[10:58] | but I never listen to him anyway. | 但是反正我从不听他的 |
[11:00] | No, you certainly didn’t bother to consult with him before firing Martha. | 确实 你肯定也没想着 在你解雇martha之前去咨询他一下 |
[11:05] | Nice try. | 想法很好 |
[11:06] | Why did you fire her, Mr. Feldcamp? | 你为什么要解雇她 Feldcamp先生? |
[11:09] | It wasn’t working out. | 她不行 |
[11:11] | How so? | 为什么这么说 |
[11:12] | Oh, hard to say. You know, as an employer, you sometimes get a feel for an employee, | 很难说 你知道 作为一个老板 有时你会对你的雇员有所了解 |
[11:15] | and with Martha– hard worker, but she was never gonna make the next step, | 但是martha 她工作很努力 但是她潜力不够 |
[11:19] | and in this company, you either move up or you move out. | 在我们公司 你不能上就只能出去 |
[11:23] | Martha’s of the impression that you fired her | Martha对于你解雇她有个想法 |
[11:26] | because she voted for John McCain in the election. | 因为她在选举中投票给了约翰麦凯恩 |
[11:30] | She’s mistaken. | 她误解了 |
[11:31] | Look, I voted for McCain, all right? | 听着 我也投了麦凯恩 知道吗 |
[11:34] | Martha simply wasn’t working out. | Martha只是不行 |
[11:37] | There must be a reason you didn’t think she was working out. | 你觉得她不行肯定有原因吧 |
[11:43] | If I have to depose you to force an answer, I can do so, | 要是我不得不强制让你出庭给出理由 我可以这么做 |
[11:46] | but you seem to be rather forthcoming, | 但是看来你对法律程序如此厌烦 |
[11:48] | so why not just tell me now? | 为什么你不现在就告诉我呢 |
[11:51] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[11:55] | She’s stupid. | 她很傻 |
[11:56] | And as for evidence of her stupidity? | 她傻的证据何在 |
[11:59] | Oh, god, I could cite many. | 天哪 我可以举出一大堆 |
[12:02] | Cite one. | 举一例 |
[12:03] | She voted for McCain. | 她投票给了麦凯恩 |
[12:04] | You said you voted for him. | 你说你也投票给了他 |
[12:07] | Mm-hmm. Yeah, I did. | 是的 我是的 |
[12:08] | I voted for him because I like his policies on nuclear energy, | 我投给他是因为我 喜欢他在核能上的政策 |
[12:10] | because I believed he’d make a better commander in chief in times of war, | 因为我相信在战争年代 他会是个更好的领袖 |
[12:14] | because I trusted his experience. | 因为我相信他的经历 |
[12:16] | But Martha voted for McCain because she found Sarah Palin to be spunky. | 但是Martha投票给麦凯恩是因为 她觉得莎拉佩林精神饱满 |
[12:21] | So you admit you fired her because of who she voted for. | 这么说你承认你解雇她是因为她的投票 |
[12:25] | No, I fired her because she is stupid. | 不是 我解雇她是因为她很蠢 |
[12:28] | Look, I got a bad feeling about her, you know? | 听着 我对她印象很差 你知道吗 |
[12:31] | It’s plain and simple. | 清清楚楚的 |
[12:31] | I’m starting to get a bad feeling about you. | 我开始讨厌你了 |
[12:34] | Well, then it’s lucky for me that you’re not my boss. | 那你不是我的老板真是我的幸事 |
[12:38] | Look, are we done? | 我们说完了吗 |
[12:40] | No, I’m afraid we’re not done. | 没有 我想我们没完 |
[12:42] | Rather, it seems we’re just beginning. | 确切点说 看来我们才刚刚开始 |
[12:45] | Look, Mr. Shore, I fire people all the time, and some of them go on to sue me. | 听着 Shore先生 我经常解雇人 也有人起诉过我 |
[12:49] | This is an at-will employment here. It’s my will. | 在这里这是一种任意的雇佣关系 是我的意愿 |
[12:52] | So if you want to file a lawsuit, join the club | 所以 如果你想提起诉讼 那欢迎入伙 |
[12:55] | Oh, I’m not a member of any club, I assure you. | 向你保证 我从不入任何伙 |
[12:59] | I tend to stick out. I don’t mind. It makes me more memorable. | 我一直坚持 这我不介意 因为这让我更加让人难忘 |
[13:03] | You’ll remember me, Mr. Feldcamp. | 你会记得我的 Feldcamp先生 |
[13:06] | Yeah, don’t let the door hit you on the way out. | 是啊 出去别撞门上了 |
[13:16] | First is sodium thiopental, which is a barbiturate. | 首先注入的是钠戊硫代巴比妥 也就是巴比妥酸盐 |
[13:18] | Next comes Pancuronium bromide, | 接着注入的是巴夫龙溴化物 |
[13:20] | a muscle relaxant that paralyzes the diaphragm and thus stops breathing. | 是一种麻痹横隔膜 从而停止呼吸的肌肉弛缓药 |
[13:25] | Then Potassium chloride is injected, and that stops the heart. | 然后注入氯化钾停止心跳 |
[13:28] | But that’s not what happened here. | 但是这里不是这样的 |
[13:30] | Not exactly. | 不是完全这样 |
[13:31] | What did happen? | 发生了什么事 |
[13:32] | Well, the technician who started | 技师开始在囚犯身上 |
[13:33] | the I.V. on the prisoner missed the vein in one arm, | 进行静脉注射的时候 没有插入一个手臂的静脉 |
[13:36] | and in the other arm, | 而在另一个手臂上 |
[13:37] | he stuck the needle through the prisoner’s vein and into his muscle tissue. | 他把针头插穿了犯人的静脉 插到了肌肉组织上 |
[13:41] | Do you know of other botched executions using the lethal injection method? | 你知道其他搞砸了的使用药物注射的死刑吗 |
[13:46] | There have been too many to list. | 那列都列不完 |
[13:47] | This is something that should be done by doctors, | 这应该是让医生去做的 |
[13:49] | but doctors refuse to do it on ethical grounds. | 但是因为道德立场 医生拒绝这么做 |
[13:52] | But, I mean, to be fair, | 但是 老实说 |
[13:53] | in most instances where lethal injection is used, | 许多使用致命注射剂的实例 |
[13:56] | the condemned man just sort of drifts off to a legal sleep without incident. | 罪犯只是在睡眠中死亡而已 没什么意外 |
[13:59] | It’s more likely that the paralytic agent | 其实更多是瘫痪药剂 |
[14:01] | simply prevents prisoners from communicating. | 让囚犯失去了交流的能力 |
[14:04] | In fact, they could be suffocating, | 事实上 他们会感到窒息 |
[14:06] | suffering excruciating pain during the procedure. | 在这过程中 会受到巨大的痛苦和折磨 |
[14:09] | They’re just unable to scream. | 只不过他们不能尖叫罢了 |
[14:11] | How many of these so-called botched executions occurred in Virginia? | 这种所谓的搞砸了的行刑 在维吉尼亚州发生了几例 |
[14:14] | One. | 一例 |
[14:15] | And the supreme court has approved | 最高法院也批准了 |
[14:17] | the method of lethal injection used in the Commonwealth of Virginia? | 维吉尼亚州的致命注射剂的方法? |
[14:21] | And we know they’re such sticklers. | 而且我们都知道他们都是老顽固 |
[14:22] | Mr. Sack, I will hold you in contempt. | Sack先生 我会裁定你藐视法庭 |
[14:25] | And the supreme court has not approved | 而且最高法院没有批准 |
[14:27] | prison guards shooting condemned prisoners… | 监狱警卫可以朝犯人头上开枪 是吗 |
[14:31] | Has anybody asked them? | 有人问过他们吗 |
[14:32] | Now look, we all know things went wrong here. | 听着 我们都知道这里出了问题 |
[14:35] | That’s not the point. | 这不是要点 |
[14:36] | I will repeat, the question here is, | 我重申 本案的主旨是 |
[14:38] | do we simply give prison guards the right to just whip out their guns | 我们能轻易给于监狱警卫拔枪乱射 |
[14:42] | and blast away? | 的权利吗? |
[14:45] | Well, thank you, your honor, | 谢谢 法官大人 |
[14:46] | for framing the issue in such a neutral and impartial way. | 能这样不偏不倚的说清楚这个问题 |
[15:01] | Why do you need my help? | 你为什么需要找我帮忙 |
[15:02] | Well, I don’t probably. it’s just Denny’s out of town and… | 可能不需要 只是 Denny不在城里 而且… |
[15:06] | Will you give up, ever? | 你就不能歇歇吗 |
[15:08] | I have no one to share private thoughts with tonight on the balcony. | 今晚没人和我在阳台上分享私人心绪了 |
[15:12] | Shirley, this man Feldcamp– the unfettered, smug arrogance– | Shieley 这个叫Feldcampd的男人 无所拘束 自鸣得意 狂妄傲慢 |
[15:18] | he could almost make Rudy Giuliani seem humble. | 跟他比起来Rudy Giuliani算是很谦卑了 |
[15:21] | Come on. It’ll be fun. | 别这样 这很有趣的 |
[15:23] | He really fired her because of how she voted? | 他真的因为她的投票把她解雇了 |
[15:25] | Well, he’s claiming it’s stupidity, but yes, I think he did. | 虽然他口口声声称是因为她很蠢 但是的 我想确实因为如此 |
[15:29] | And what exactly would my role be? | 确切点 你想让我扮演什么角色呢 |
[15:32] | Why do you say it with such distrust? | 为什么你这么不信任我? |
[15:36] | Because I can smell a dog on the sniff. | 因为我能感觉到有鬼 |
[15:39] | Don’t be ridiculous. | 别搞笑了 |
[15:40] | You’re almost old enough to be my mother or one of my mother’s friends… | 你已经老的可以做我妈 |
[15:45] | the one who used to sunbathe naked by the pool. | 或者她那些在泳池边裸晒日光浴的朋友了 |
[15:50] | So you want to march into court tomorrow, | 那么你想明天我们两个并肩走入法庭 |
[15:52] | the two of us side by side, and fight for a woman who– | 为一个女人而斗争 她 |
[15:56] | Who voted for John McCain. | 她投了麦凯恩 |
[16:10] | He all but admitted to me, your honor, | 法官阁下 他向我承认过 |
[16:12] | that he fired her because she voted for John McCain. | 他解雇她是因为她投票给了麦凯恩 |
[16:15] | He made no such admission. The basis was her stupidity. | 他没这么说过 问题关键是她很愚蠢 |
[16:18] | Yes, and the evidence of that was her vote. | 说她愚蠢是因为她投的票 |
[16:22] | Look, they got into a big political debate three days before– | 他们三天前就政治问题发生了一次争吵 |
[16:25] | during which, the plaintiff further displayed a complete lack of intellect, | 其间原告进一步表现出缺乏智慧 |
[16:28] | which prompted my client– | 促使我的委托人 |
[16:29] | Because she didn’t share your client’s political point of view. | 因为她没有和你的 委托人持相同的政治观点 |
[16:32] | My client voted for McCain. | 我的委托人投票给了麦凯恩 |
[16:33] | Your honor, my client is a republican who was happy with Ms. | 法官阁下 我的委托人是共和党人 他很高兴Headly小姐投了麦凯恩 |
[16:36] | Headly’s vote, but nonetheless, could not ignore that she was… | 但这并不能掩盖一个事实就是 |
[16:41] | Well, dumb. | 她很迟钝 |
[16:42] | – How dare you? – Ms. Headly. | – 你敢这么说? – Headly女士 |
[16:44] | He just called me dumb and stupid. | 他刚说我又迟钝又傻 |
[16:46] | Ms. Headly. | Headly女士 |
[16:47] | Mr. Davidson, as I read the affidavit, | Davidson先生 就我看到的书面陈述看起来 |
[16:50] | it does seem like she was fired for her political opinions. | 她确实是因为她的政治观点而遭解雇 |
[16:53] | Free speech is not a right in the workplace. | 在工作场所言论自由并不是一项权力 |
[16:56] | People are hired for their opinions and perceived intellect. | 人们被雇用是因为他们的观点 和所流露的智慧 |
[16:58] | that’s why we have interviews, | 所以我们用面试 |
[17:00] | to determine whether we like what comes out of their mouths. | 来判断我们是否喜欢他们的所言所议 |
[17:02] | Listen, the fact is, this woman did get hired, | 事实是这位女士已经被雇用了 |
[17:06] | and then she was discharged for exactly as you say, | 但正如法官阁下您所说 |
[17:09] | your honor, her political opinion. | 她因为她的政治观点而被解雇 |
[17:11] | All right, I want to hear Ms. Headly on the stand, | 我要听听Headly女士的证供 |
[17:13] | and I want to hear exactly how this went down. | 我希望你如实无误地说明事情的经过 |
[17:16] | Let’s go. | 开始吧 |
[17:21] | It seemed like… | 那就像… |
[17:23] | I don’t know, like… | 我说不来 就像… |
[17:25] | like it had gone past the point of torture even. | 就像比刑讯折磨还要过分 |
[17:29] | I- I just… | 我 我只是… |
[17:30] | I couldn’t watch him suffer anymore. | 不能再看着他受苦 |
[17:33] | So I, um… | 所以我… |
[17:35] | I took him out. | 结果了他 |
[17:37] | Did you stop to think, sir, that you were breaking the law by– | 你曾否停一停 想想你这样违反法律… |
[17:40] | No, no, no, no, no. | 不不不不不 |
[17:40] | All I could see w- was a person suffering, just way beyond the point of… | 我只知道有人在遭受着 远超出人所能承受的折磨 |
[17:47] | it was inhumane. | 那不人道 |
[17:49] | Somebody had to do something. | 必须有人做点什么 |
[17:52] | I yelled at the others, but they just stood there, so… | 我冲着其他人呼喊 但他们只是光站在那儿 所以… |
[17:56] | it just wasn’t right. | 那是不对的 |
[17:58] | You decided all by yourself to take a human life. | 你自做主张结束了一个人的生命 |
[18:02] | No, the– the man was dying anyway I made the decision to be humane about it. | 不 他不论怎样都要死了 我只是做了人道的决定 |
[18:06] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[18:08] | I’ve prosecuted two doctors who made the same decision. | 我起诉过两个医生 他们做了同样的决定 |
[18:11] | They had terminal patients in agony, so they decided to hasten their deaths. | 他们的病人病入膏肓十分痛苦 所以他们决定加快病人死亡 |
[18:15] | In fact, I believe your family faced a similar situation. | 事实上 我知道你的家庭 也曾面临类似的情况 |
[18:21] | You had an aunt who was dying of ovarian cancer. Am I right? | 你有个婶婶因为卵巢癌快要死了 是吗 |
[18:28] | Yes. | 是 |
[18:29] | And there were those in your family | 你家人中有些人 |
[18:31] | who wanted to put her on a morphine drip to speed things up | 想通过滴入吗啡 让她快些死去 |
[18:35] | because she was suffering so. | 因为她就受着这样的折磨 |
[18:37] | Is that true? | 是否事实? |
[18:39] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:40] | What was your position there? | 那你的立场是什么 |
[18:42] | Do you remember? | 还记得吗 |
[18:44] | I was against it. | 我反对 |
[18:46] | You thought it was murder, didn’t you? | 你认为那是谋杀 是吗 |
[18:49] | You told your mother and the doctor, | 你告诉你妈妈和医生 |
[18:52] | “only god gets to make that call.” | “只有上帝能做决定” |
[18:56] | Do you now amend that to god and correctional officers? | 你现在把它修改成 上帝和惩教员了吗 |
[19:10] | We got into this huge argument on nuclear energy. | 我们就核能问题大争起来 |
[19:13] | I’m against, and he’s for it. | 我反对 他支持 |
[19:15] | Now that argument somehow got replaced by some brought-ha-ha on the war. | 然后论题变成了战争的争论 |
[19:21] | I’m against it, and he’s for it. | 我反对 他支持 |
[19:23] | And that segued into taxes, | 然后是赋税 |
[19:25] | and he doesn’t think he should have to pay any, | 他认为他不该付任何税 |
[19:28] | – and I said to him that if he– – So you had a lot of political differences? | – 而我告诉他如果他… – 这么说你们有很多政见不同了? |
[19:31] | Yes. Yes. | 是的 |
[19:33] | Well, then the very next day, | 接着就在第二天 |
[19:35] | after I did inform him that I voted for McCain, | 我告诉他我投了麦凯恩的时候 |
[19:39] | he called me a complete idiot. | 他叫我十足白痴 |
[19:41] | Uh, Mr. Feldcamp called you an idiot? | Feldcamp先生叫你白痴? |
[19:43] | A complete one. | 还是十足的 |
[19:44] | And then what happened? | 然后发生了什么 |
[19:45] | Well, not long after that, | 那之后不久 |
[19:47] | he walked into my office and he fired me. | 他来我办公室 把我解雇了 |
[19:50] | Have you ever had any yearly reviews | 你是否曾就你的工作 |
[19:52] | with respect to your employment with Mr. Feldcamp? | 接受过Feldcamp先生所做的年度评议? |
[19:55] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:56] | How’d they go? | 情况如何? |
[19:57] | Okay. | 不错 |
[19:59] | He said I could perform better and he said sales could be higher. | 他说我可以干的更好 销售额可以再高些 |
[20:03] | But in this economy? Come on. | 但现在这样的经济? 拜托 |
[20:05] | You know that. | 你知道 |
[20:06] | It’s bad everywhere. | 到处经济都差 |
[20:07] | I mean, it’s, like, the number one problem in this country right now. | 这是国家当前最大的问题 |
[20:10] | So you consider the economy to be the number one problem in the country? | 所以你认为经济是国家目前首要问题? |
[20:13] | Yes, I do. | 是的 |
[20:16] | If I may ask, how does John McCains economical policy differ from Barack Obama’s? | 能否允许我问问 麦凯恩和奥巴马的经济政策有何不同? |
[20:26] | Taxes… | 赋税… |
[20:29] | and, um… | 和 呃… |
[20:33] | well I’m not exactly sure about it, to be honest. | 好啦我不是很清楚还有些啥 |
[20:36] | Well, if you consider it to be the number one problem in the country– | 如果你认为这是国家最主要的问题… |
[20:39] | Look, even despite how they all say they’ll be different, | 就算他们说得天花乱坠 |
[20:42] | they all do the same thing once they get elected. | 当选之后都会做一样的事情 |
[20:44] | Come on. You know that. | 拜托 你知道的 |
[20:45] | You were an ardent Hillary Clinton supporter, were you not? | 你曾狂热的支持过希拉里 对吗 |
[20:48] | Yes, I was, proudly. | 是的 我很自豪 |
[20:50] | And according to your coworkers, | 但是据你同事所说 |
[20:52] | you crossed over to McCain primarily because of Sarah Palin. | 你变节支持麦凯恩主要是因为萨拉佩林 |
[20:54] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:55] | Because her policies were consistent with Hillary’s? | 因为她的政见与希拉里一致? |
[20:58] | Because I was impressed with her. | 因为她使我印象深刻 |
[21:00] | And because she strikes me as a real American, | 而且就我看来她是一个真正的美国人 |
[21:03] | which is what this country needs. | 国家需要真正的美国人 |
[21:06] | And you liked her spunk. | 你喜欢她的勇气 |
[21:07] | And the country needs spunk, too, yes. | 是的 而且国家也需要勇气 |
[21:22] | I don’t have a good feeling on this one, Denny. | Denny 这个案子我感觉不大妙 |
[21:25] | Virginia is not being nice to me. | 维吉尼亚对我不怎么样 |
[21:29] | A little constructive criticism? | 要不要听点建设性的批评? |
[21:32] | Okay. | 要 |
[21:33] | You’re not very good. | 你不够好 |
[21:34] | Thanks for keeping it constructive. | 谢谢 请继续保持这种建设性 |
[21:36] | Well, you’re making this a referendum on the death penalty. | 你把这个搞成了死刑投票 |
[21:39] | You gotta get it through that liberal, democrat skull– | 你得明白那些自由者和民主党的想法 |
[21:42] | Americans love the death penalty. | 美国人热爱死刑 |
[21:45] | We do? | 是吗 |
[21:45] | Yeah, especially these parts. | 没错 特别是这些州 |
[21:49] | Hillary and Obama, | 希拉里和奥巴马 |
[21:51] | you know those pinko-heads couldn’t really be pro-death penalty, | 你知道那些左倾头头并不真的支持死刑 |
[21:54] | but they claim they aren’t | 却宣称他们支持 |
[21:55] | and in fact, | 事实上 |
[21:56] | almost everyone who runs for president miraculously is for the death penalty. | 几乎每个竞选人奇迹般的都支持死刑 |
[22:01] | Why? | 为什么 |
[22:02] | ‘Cause this is the U.S. of A. | 因为这是美国 |
[22:04] | death penalty rules. | 死刑最高 |
[22:07] | Flip the switch, ready, aim, fire, turn up the gas– | 拨开关 准备好 瞄准 开枪 打开煤气 |
[22:09] | it’s who we are as a people. | 这就是我们之为人 |
[22:12] | Hell, you– you heard it at the republican convention | 见鬼 在共和党大会上听过么 |
[22:15] | Kill, baby, kill. | 杀 宝贝儿 杀 |
[22:17] | It’s our mantra, Carl. | 这就是我们的祷言 Carl |
[22:20] | I thought republicans were pro-life. | 我以为共和党人看重生命 (pro-life也指不赞同堕胎) |
[22:23] | That’s for babies. Criminals we kill. | 那是对婴儿 罪犯是要杀的 |
[22:26] | You’re going about this ass backwards. | 你得反着来做这件事儿 |
[22:28] | The argument you want to make to the jury is this– | 我们要对陪审团说的是 |
[22:30] | that, uh, uh, Willis guy, | 那个叫Wills的 |
[22:33] | he wasn’t dying the way he was supposed to. | 他没按着应该的方式死掉 |
[22:36] | After receiving the injection, | 接受注射后 |
[22:38] | the bastard refused to choke out. | 那混帐不咽气 |
[22:40] | So our client finished him off. | 所以我们的委托人就结果了他 |
[22:43] | Job done, game over, bang. | 搞定 结束 |
[22:46] | Preston Holt, American hero. | Preston Holt 美国英雄 |
[22:49] | Kill, baby, kill. | 杀 宝贝儿 杀 |
[23:00] | Do you think… | 你觉得… |
[23:02] | Martha and Sarah and Joe the… | Martha Sarah 和Joe… |
[23:06] | is he an electrician? | 他是个电工? |
[23:07] | Plumber, unlicensed. | 没执照的水管工 |
[23:10] | Are– are they the real Americans? | 他们是真正的美国人吗 |
[23:12] | Not necessarily. | 未必 |
[23:13] | I think that’s what this election just proved, | 这次选举证明了 |
[23:17] | that real Americans aren’t just rural and white. | 真正的美国人不仅是乡村白人 |
[23:21] | The portrait of real Americans has been redrawn in this election. | 这次选举重新描绘了美国人的肖像 |
[23:27] | Real Americans are of all ages, races, ethnicities. | 真正的美国人包括所有年龄 种族 民族 |
[23:31] | they live in cities and apartments as well as… | 他们也住在城市和公寓里而不单单是 |
[23:35] | Farms. I… | 农场 |
[23:37] | We have a president-elect who fits into no | 我们此次的总统当选者 |
[23:40] | category or demographic whatsoever other than he’s an American. | 除了他是美国人之外 不属于任何的分类和人种 |
[23:49] | God, I wept that night. | 那晚我哭了 |
[23:54] | Did you? | 你呢 |
[23:56] | No, I just… | 我没有 我只是… |
[23:58] | watched and watched and… | 看啊看啊 |
[24:03] | didn’t want the night to end. | 希望此夜无尽头 |
[24:10] | I already miss Sarah Palin, though. | 不过我还真想念萨拉佩林 |
[24:12] | She was fun while she lasted. | 她结束的时候很有趣 |
[24:14] | I hope they let her keep the wardrobe. | 我希望赞助商别把她的衣服要回去 |
[24:19] | I still have to say though as heartened as I am by the election and by America… | 尽管我被选举和美国感动了 可我还是得说 |
[24:28] | What? | 什么 |
[24:30] | Martha’s a little bit of an idiot. | Martha确实有点白痴 |
[24:32] | Shirley, almost 47% of this country didn’t vote for Obama, | Shirley 差不多47%的公民没投奥巴马 |
[24:36] | perhaps because they disagreed with him on the issues, which is fine. | 也许是因为他们和奥巴马政见不同 那很好 |
[24:41] | But some, no doubt, | 但毫无疑问有些人是因为 |
[24:43] | because they thought he was Muslim with terrorists on his speed dial, | 他们认为奥巴马是和 恐怖分子有亲密关系的穆斯林 |
[24:47] | and others because th-they were convinced he was not only socialist, | 还有些人是因为他们认为他 不但是社会主义者 |
[24:52] | but even worse, a bad bowler, | 保龄球还打得很烂 |
[24:54] | and others still because they simply | 还有些只是因为他们喜欢 |
[24:56] | loved those cream-colored jackets Sarah may have to give back. | 萨拉佩林的或与得被归还的奶油色外套 |
[25:00] | But there’s one thing all those idiots have in common. | 但这些白痴们有一点是相同的 |
[25:04] | What? | 什么 |
[25:05] | They still get to vote. | 他们都可以投票 |
[25:17] | What? | 怎么了? |
[25:20] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[25:22] | Just looking at you under a gently lit sky with… | 看着你在这星星轻闪的天空下 |
[25:27] | sharing the same oral fixation Denny and I… | 分享我和Denny同样的谈话 |
[25:34] | Is it a little game, Alan, or– or are you really sexually attracted to me? | 这是个小把戏还是 Alan 你真的被我吸引了? |
[25:40] | I’m sexually attracted to you. | 我被你吸引了 |
[25:45] | I’m in my 60s. | 我已经60多了 |
[25:46] | Well, first of all, you’re beautiful. | 第一 你很漂亮 |
[25:50] | And second, your intellect is… | 第二 你的智慧… |
[25:53] | dazzling. | 让人晕眩 |
[25:56] | And third, I’ve seen the naked pictures of you. | 第三 我见过你的裸照 |
[25:58] | – Oh, right. – Let’s not discuss the cheerleader outfit. | – 噢 是的 – 且不说啦啦队的装扮 |
[26:00] | Oh. | 噢 |
[26:07] | So if I… | 如果我… |
[26:11] | if I wanted to go there, you’d go there? | 如果我愿意那么做 你也会那么做? |
[26:16] | In a second. | 立刻 |
[26:20] | Oh, if only Obama had picked you as vice president… | 如果奥巴马选你做副总统… |
[26:24] | what a world we’d have then. | 我们将有一个怎样的天下啊 |
[26:46] | Look… | 听着 |
[26:47] | I can see the defendant’s point. | 我知道被告的观点 |
[26:50] | The man was dying anyway. | 那个人总归要死 |
[26:52] | What’s the big deal? | 有什么大不了的? |
[26:54] | Well… | 那么 |
[26:55] | what about the doctor or the hospice worker | 某些医生和颐养院的工作者 |
[26:58] | who wants to speed the death of that cancer patient dying in agony? | 他们使痛苦的癌症患者死的更快 又该如何处置? |
[27:02] | Or what about the nurses who opt to withhold treatment | 严重脑残的婴儿面临一生的痛苦 |
[27:06] | from those severely retarded infants who only face a lifetime of misery? | 而护士决定撤消他们的治疗 又该如何? |
[27:12] | We don’t go down that path. | 我们不能走那条路 |
[27:13] | We don’t start measuring the quality of people’s lives | 不能开始通过衡量生命的质量 |
[27:17] | to decide whether or not they live. | 来决定他们是否该生存 |
[27:20] | The defendant took the law into his own hands | 被告将法律抓在自己手里 |
[27:24] | and murdered somebody. | 杀了人 |
[27:26] | Nobody gets the right to do that. | 没人给他如此权力 |
[27:28] | Whether the person is on death row, | 不管那人是否就要死了 |
[27:32] | whether a person has a day left to live, an hour or even a minute… | 不管他是否只剩一天 一小时甚至一分钟可活 |
[27:37] | you don’t get to shoot somebody. | 你都不能杀了他 |
[27:41] | That’s the law. | 这就是法律 |
[27:45] | That’s the law… | 这就是法律… |
[27:47] | because of a presumed sanctity of human life? | 前提当是假设生命圣洁? |
[27:51] | That sanctity was off the table here. | 本案已经不允许讨论圣洁性了 |
[27:53] | The life was being executed by the state. | 而这个生命已经被国家处死 |
[28:00] | Uh, forgive me, | 抱歉 |
[28:01] | but you know what I think is really going on | 我认为事情的真相是 |
[28:03] | is this man doesn’t like capital punishment, | 这个人不喜欢死刑 |
[28:06] | and he’s trying to bring scrutiny upon it. | 他试图让死刑受到质疑 |
[28:09] | It’s the only possible explanation. | 这是唯一的解释 |
[28:10] | If he can get you to say this execution was wrong, | 如果他能让你们说这个死刑是错的 |
[28:14] | well, that’s one step from saying, | 那么接下来你们也许就会说 |
[28:15] | “gee, maybe executions are wrong.” | 天啊 也许死刑就是错的 |
[28:18] | That’s ridiculous. | 荒谬 |
[28:19] | More ridiculous than accusing a man of murdering someone who was being executed? | 比控告某人谋杀了 正被处死的人还要荒谬? |
[28:23] | Let’s not kid ourselves. | 别自欺欺人了 |
[28:24] | There are those out there trying to get rid of capital punishment. | 时时都有人试图逃脱死刑 |
[28:27] | and I would suspect they have to be tricky | 我想他们一定必须很狡猾才能做到 |
[28:30] | because they know we the people are overwhelmingly for it. | 因为他们知道我们极度地支持死刑 |
[28:34] | We the people know the death penalty is one of the things that makes America… | 我们知道美国之所以为美国 其中原因之一就是 |
[28:40] | well, America. | 死刑 |
[28:42] | Not many countries have it, you know? | 没几个国家有死刑 知道吗 |
[28:44] | We’re– we’re the only westernized country left. | 我们是西方国家中唯一一个了 |
[28:46] | And it’s not easy being in the company of Iraq, | 和伊拉克 中国 沙特阿拉伯 巴基斯坦 苏丹为伍 |
[28:49] | China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Sudan. | 并不是非常容易的事 |
[28:53] | And I’ll admit, | 我要承认 |
[28:55] | the reasons for abolishing capital punishment are compelling. | 撤销死刑的理由很有说服力 |
[28:58] | It costs us hundreds of millions of dollars, | 死刑花费了我们数亿美元 |
[29:00] | up to six times more than life imprisonment. | 比终身监禁多6倍 |
[29:02] | It doesn’t seem to deter crime. | 它看起来也不能阻止犯罪 |
[29:04] | Murder rates are actually lower in non-death-penalty states. | 实际上无死刑国家的谋杀率更低 |
[29:07] | It’s well-known. | 这已经众所周知 |
[29:08] | Canada’s homicide rate fell 40% after they abolished the death penalty. | 加拿大的谋杀率在取消死刑后降低了40% |
[29:13] | We botch executions a lot. | 我们对死刑地处理也极度糟糕 |
[29:16] | Medical evidence now shows that even when they go off without a hitch, | 医学证据显示哪怕在没有意外的情况下 |
[29:20] | the executed suffer perhaps excruciating pain. | 处决的过程也可能极为痛苦 |
[29:24] | There are many reasons to do away with capital punishment. | 有很多理由可以废除死刑 |
[29:28] | but we don’t because, let’s face it, the death penalty? | 但我们不废除 承认吧 死刑? |
[29:32] | It’s who we are as a people. | 这就是我们之为人 |
[29:34] | We’re an eye-for-an-eye kind of nation, and we don’t have to apologize for it. | 我们是以眼还眼以牙还牙的国家 并且我们不会为此而道歉 |
[29:38] | Listen, if somebody killed my son… | 听着 如果谁杀了我儿子… |
[29:41] | we believe in executing murderers. | 我们相信应该处死谋杀者 |
[29:44] | it’s… justice. | 这就是正义 |
[29:48] | The only thing my client did here was carry out the state’s mission. | 我的委托人只是执行了国家的任务 |
[29:52] | It makes no sense to be prosecuting him. | 起诉他是毫无意义的 |
[29:55] | The only conceivable explanation is that | 唯一能想象的理由就是 |
[29:58] | this man is insidiously trying to bring scrutiny on the death penalty | 这个人正试图阴险的让死刑受到质疑 |
[30:03] | because he secretly… is against it. | 因为他其实秘密的反对死刑 |
[30:20] | No, look, as I said to her lawyer over there, I like Martha Headly. | 不 听着 就像我对她律师说的 我喜欢Martha Headly |
[30:23] | Nice lady. | 很好的女士 |
[30:24] | But my god, sales is about selling, it’s about relating to people. | 但是销售就是卖 讲究和人沟通 |
[30:27] | She doesn’t even read the newspaper. | 她甚至都不看报 |
[30:29] | Well, George Bush doesn’t read the paper. | 乔治布什也不看报 |
[30:31] | I’d never hire George Bush. | 我决不会雇用乔治布什 |
[30:33] | Would anybody? | 谁会? |
[30:34] | And yet you voted for John McCain, who supports– | 你投了麦凯恩 而他支持… |
[30:36] | No, no, no, no, no. this is not about politics. | 不不不不不 这与政治无关 |
[30:38] | This is about being smart or not smart, and she is the latter. | 这关乎聪明还是愚蠢 而她是后者 |
[30:42] | But, Mr. Feldcamp, to be fair, | 但是 Feldcamp先生 公平的说 |
[30:43] | you’re basing your conclusion on her political opinion. | 你的结论建立在她的政治观点上 |
[30:46] | No, what I’m saying is that whatever your opinion is about anything, | 不 我说的是 不论你的观点是什么 |
[30:49] | at least be able to defend it, | 至少你得能为之辩护 |
[30:50] | and failing that, | 如果不能够辩护的话 |
[30:52] | articulate it. | 清楚地表达出来吧 |
[30:53] | Martha’s never been the brightest bulb in the tanning booth, | Martha从来都不是 所有人里面最聪明的一个 |
[30:56] | but when she talks politics, I, you know, I just cringe. | 但是当她谈论政治的时候 我怕了 |
[30:58] | I go, “how can I have a person like that working for me?” | 我想 怎能让那样的人为我工作? |
[31:00] | Well, guess what. My company. | 结果呢 这是我的公司 |
[31:01] | I don’t have to. | 我不需要这样 |
[31:04] | Do you make all your employees defend their political beliefs? | 你让你的有所员工为其政见辩护了吗 |
[31:07] | Not all my employees launch into them. | 不是所有员工都这么热衷政治 |
[31:09] | But had she defended hers better, she might– | 但是假设她辩护的好些 她也许… |
[31:11] | Look, look, look, for 16 months, | 听着听着听着 16个月来 |
[31:12] | she just went prancing around talking Hillary, Hillary, Hillary, Hillary, | 她只会跳来跳去的谈论 希拉里希拉里希拉里希拉里 |
[31:15] | and then she railed against Obama’s inexperience all throughout the primaries, | 接着整个初选的时候她都在 抱怨奥巴马缺乏经验 |
[31:19] | and then out comes some moose hunter from Alaska. | 接着转去支持某个 从阿拉斯加冒出来的麋鹿猎人 |
[31:22] | she knows nothing about Sarah Palin or about John McCain. | 她一点也不了解萨拉佩林和麦凯恩 |
[31:26] | What does that say about her? | 这说明了她什么? |
[31:27] | – Sarah? – No. | – 萨拉? – 不 |
[31:28] | Hillary? | 希拉里? |
[31:29] | Her! | 她! |
[31:29] | What does it say about a person who can be so arbitrary, so nice? | 一个人竟能如此武断 如此无常 这说明她什么? |
[31:32] | And this is about stuff she actually felt strongly about. | 而且这都是她强烈支持的事情 |
[31:35] | I’ll tell you what it says. | 我告诉你这说明了什么吧 |
[31:36] | She is an idiot. | 她是个白痴 |
[31:39] | You know, let somebody else hire her. | 谁爱雇她谁雇她吧 |
[31:40] | I don’t think it’ll be you. | 我不觉得你会 |
[31:43] | How dare you let him go off on me like that in a courtroom. | 你怎么敢让他在法庭上那么踩我 |
[31:46] | – I didn’t let him go off. I was– – Yes, you did. | – 我没让他踩 我… – 不 就是你 |
[31:48] | He was bellowing that I was an idiot, | 他一直大声地骂我是白痴 |
[31:50] | and you just sat there, | 而你只是坐在那儿 |
[31:51] | and so did you… | 你也是 |
[31:52] | Of all people. | 那么多人里你却偏偏… |
[31:53] | Now wait. What’s that supposed to mean? | 等等 那能说明什么? |
[31:55] | It means that it was blatant sexism. | 说明那是赤裸裸的性别歧视 |
[31:59] | And I expected more from a person of your caliber. | 我原本认为有你这种才能的人 该更能干些 |
[32:01] | Now hold on here. | 打住 |
[32:03] | Is that the kind of lawyer you are? | 你是那样的律师吗 |
[32:05] | Is that the kind of woman? | 是那样的女人吗 |
[32:06] | Honey, the sexist in all this is you. | 性别歧视是你的问题 |
[32:10] | – Me? – Yeah. | – 我? – 对 |
[32:11] | You claim to be a staunch Hillary Clinton supporter. | 你说自己坚定的支持希拉里 |
[32:13] | You– you walked into that booth and voted against everything Hillary stands for, | 你走进那个投票摊里 投票反对一切希拉里支持的 |
[32:18] | and why? | 为什么 |
[32:19] | Because the republicans added to their ticket someone they referred | 因为共和党在选票上 |
[32:22] | to at the convention as “the hot chick.” | 加了个他们在那个展会上称之为 “辣妹”的人 |
[32:24] | Oh. | 噢 |
[32:25] | So you just sit quiet and let me get brutalized on the stand– | 所以你就干坐着看我被羞辱 |
[32:29] | I sat there for two reasons. | 我坐在那儿有两个理由 |
[32:30] | First, there was no valid objection to be made. | 第一 没有有效的反对可提 |
[32:34] | And second? | 第二呢 |
[32:35] | You are an idiot. | 你是个白痴 |
[32:46] | At-will employment means exactly that, your honor. | 法官大人 所谓自由意志雇佣 意思就是完全依照 |
[32:49] | At the employer’s will. | 雇主的意志 |
[32:52] | Certainly, we can’t fire anybody for race or ethnicity. | 当然我们不能因为种族或民族解雇任何人 |
[32:57] | But, well, intellect or a person’s lack of it? | 但是智力原因呢 或者说某人智力低下呢? |
[33:00] | Bosses fire people all the time for that. | 老板们天天都在因此而解雇雇员 |
[33:02] | But, Mr. Davidson, | 但是 Davison先生 |
[33:04] | to fire someone for their political opinion is still– | 因为人们的政治观点而解雇仍然… |
[33:07] | Your honor, if I may, | 法官阁下 如果我可以说的话 |
[33:08] | that’s one way to look at this. | 这是一种看法 |
[33:09] | The other way– | 而另一种看法 |
[33:10] | are we saying that stupidity can never be grounds for discharge | 愚蠢只要披上政治的外衣 |
[33:14] | when it’s cloaked in political content? | 就决不再能作为解雇某人的原因了吗? |
[33:16] | He’s the boss. | 他是老板 |
[33:17] | It’s his company. | 那是他的公司 |
[33:19] | So as long as he stays within the law, | 只要不僭越法律 |
[33:22] | he gets to hire and fire who he wants. | 他可以雇用和解雇任何人 |
[33:25] | The unassailable right to vote is the core principle of any democracy. | 投票权不可侵犯是 任何民主政策的核心原则 |
[33:30] | And people have the right to cast their ballot for whomever they want– | 人们有权爱投谁投谁 |
[33:33] | for good reasons or for bad reasons or for no reason at all. | 好的理由 坏的理由 甚至没理由 |
[33:37] | Let’s face it, your honor, | 承认吧 法官阁下 |
[33:38] | we as a nation are horribly uninformed when it comes to politics. | 我们这个国家的人 在政治上获得的信息少的可怜 |
[33:42] | Approximately one-third of the people in this country, people of voting age, | 本国大约1/3的选龄人士 |
[33:47] | couldn’t tell you the name of our current Vice President. | 说不出我们现在副总统的名字 |
[33:49] | Now admittedly, some of us like to block it out, | 诚然 有些人不愿意承认 |
[33:51] | but even so, only two in five adult Americans know we have three branches of government. | 尽管如此 只有2/5的成年美国人知道我们有三权分立 |
[33:56] | and Mr. Feldcamp expects his employees | 而Feldcamp期望他的雇员 |
[33:58] | to actually know the political issues of the day? | 确切的知道当前的政治问题? |
[34:01] | Well, today our news programs consist solely | 我们如今的新闻节目 |
[34:05] | of sensational headlines and sound bites. | 只有轰动性的标题和简明提要 |
[34:07] | People forego newspapers for the internet, | 人们放弃报纸而转向网络 |
[34:09] | where instead of relying on credentialed journalists, | 网络没有可信的记者 |
[34:12] | they turn to these bloggers– sort of entry-level life-forms | 他们观看博客–某种在智力层面上 只是刚刚从原始淤泥中冒头的 |
[34:16] | that intellectually have yet to emerge from the primordial ooze. | 入门级的生命形式 |
[34:19] | This is how we’ve gotten the elected officials we’ve gotten. | 这就是为什么我们现在投选出来的 公职人员是这种样子 |
[34:21] | We’ve never really cared about issues. | 我们从不真正关心问题 |
[34:23] | Come on. | 拜托 |
[34:24] | We’re more concerned with how Hillary looks in a pantsuit or whether Barack can bowl. | 我们更关心的是希拉里穿西装好不好看 或者奥巴马会不会保龄球 |
[34:29] | We don’t always go for the best or the brightest. | 我们通常不投最好的或最聪明的 |
[34:32] | We elect the guy we’d most like to have a beer with or the gal we’d most like | 我们投我们最想一起喝啤酒的家伙 |
[34:35] | to feel up in the back of the car. | 投我们最想在汽车后座厮混的女孩 |
[34:36] | Now I certainly wouldn’t pick my airline pilot that way or my accountant or doctor, | 我当然不会这样挑选我的飞行员 会计 医生 |
[34:42] | but for my President, so often, it’s, | 但是挑总统 通常是这样 |
[34:44] | “give me the blue-collar, lunch-bucket, | 给我个蓝领阶层的 自带午饭 |
[34:46] | good ol’ boy who fits in best at the pancake breakfast.” | 最适合一起早餐的男孩 (暗指水管工Joe) |
[34:48] | The problem with Mr. Feldcamp, | Feldcamp先生的问题 |
[34:50] | and forgive me, | 抱歉 |
[34:51] | I hesitate to say this about anybody, but he’s an elitist. | 我不愿意这么说 但是他是优秀人种论者 |
[34:54] | Objection. | 反对 |
[34:54] | I realize that’s much worse than being called stupid. | 我发现那比被称为白痴还糟 |
[34:56] | Mr. Shore, | Shore先生 |
[34:57] | Let’s stay on message. | 说重点 |
[34:59] | The message is, we vote for who we like. | 重点是 我们投给我们喜欢的人 |
[35:02] | It’s as simple as that. We don’t need to have a reason. | 很简单 我们不需要理由 |
[35:04] | It’s as simple as that. | 很简单 |
[35:05] | The founding fathers did not form a meritocracy. | 我们的建国之父不是建立的一个 由知识界精英掌控的国家 |
[35:07] | This is a democracy. We can be as stupid as we choose. | 而是民主制度国家 我们能想多傻就多傻 |
[35:10] | We’re Americans. We’re as simple as that. | 我们是美国人 就这么简单 |
[35:16] | All right. Look… | 好吧 听着 |
[35:18] | I don’t like it. | 我不喜欢这样 |
[35:19] | But just as we don’t get into why a person voted the way he or she did, | 但是如同我们不干预公民投票的理由 |
[35:25] | nor do we get into why a boss terminates somebody in an at-will. | 我们也不干预老板的自由裁员 |
[35:29] | Whoa, whoa, wait. It sounds like I’m losing. | 等等 听起来好像我要输了 |
[35:30] | Your motion for an injunctive relief is denied. | 你申请援助禁令的动议被拒绝了 |
[35:34] | If she wants to sue for lost wages, I can’t stop her. | 如果她要为工资损失起诉 我无法阻止 |
[35:38] | But we’re done here. We are adjourned. | 但是这个案子到此结束 休庭 |
[35:41] | I’m sorry, Martha. | 我很抱歉 Martha |
[35:44] | You didn’t try hard enough. | 你没尽力 |
[35:45] | That’s what happened. | 就是这样 |
[35:48] | I’ll be suing you next. | 接下来我就要告你 |
[35:51] | I never liked you. | 我从未喜欢过你 |
[35:56] | She seemed much more fun in high school. | 她高中的时候有趣多了 |
[35:59] | Oh, well. | 呵呵 |
[36:00] | Shirley, in anticipation of winning, | Shirley 为了预计我们会胜利 |
[36:02] | I booked a little celebration dinner at the Ritz. | 我在Ritz订了庆祝晚餐 |
[36:05] | The restaurant that comes equipped with private rooms | 如果我们喝多了庆祝酒 |
[36:08] | should we have too much celebratory wine. | 这餐厅有私人包间 |
[36:11] | Shirley, one’s life is a sum of his or her experiences. | Shirley 人的一生是由其经历所组成的 |
[36:18] | Okay, Alan. | 好吧 Alan |
[36:21] | Oh. | 噢 |
[36:23] | With Denny’s permission. | 当Denny同意时 |
[36:26] | – What? Why do you need– – Because I do. | – 什么?为何要… – 因为要 |
[36:30] | Till then… | 在那之前 |
[36:32] | I’ll be waiting. | 我会等着的 |
[36:43] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团有判决了吗 |
[36:45] | We have your honor | 有了 法官大人 |
[36:46] | How say you? | 什么判决? |
[36:49] | “In the matter of the Commonwealth of Virginia “vs. Preston Holt | 在维吉尼亚州诉Preston Holt |
[36:53] | “on the charge of murder in the second degree, | 二级谋杀罪一案 |
[36:55] | “we find the defendant not guilty.” | 我们认为被告无罪 |
[36:59] | The court thanks you for your service. | 法庭感谢陪审团履行职责 |
[37:01] | The defendant is free to go. We are adjourned. | 被告可以走了 休庭 |
[37:04] | Thank you, Mr. Sack. | 谢谢 Sack先生 |
[37:05] | Uh, you’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[37:06] | I wasn’t exactly sure of your strategy there, but– | 我本不是很相信你的策略 但是… |
[37:08] | not to worry. Neither was I. | 别放在心上 我自己也不相信 |
[37:12] | Thank you, Mr. Crane. | 谢谢你 Crane先生 |
[37:13] | You’re welcome, son. | 不客气 孩子 |
[37:33] | Do you think it’s odd that when running for office, | 竞选总统时拥有名牌大学的学历 反而是一种负担 |
[37:35] | having an ivy league education is considered a liability? | 你觉不觉得这事儿很奇怪 |
[37:40] | No. You don’t? | – 不 – 你不觉得? |
[37:42] | No, a Harvard grad took us into Vietnam, | 哈佛毕业的把我们扯进了越战 |
[37:45] | a Yale grad bought us Iraq. We’ve learned our lesson. | 耶鲁毕业的又搞伊战 我们得到过教训 |
[37:48] | Denny… | |
[37:49] | between you and me, do we really think he made it through Yale? | 私下说 你认为他耶鲁毕业了? |
[37:51] | With a little help. | 别人帮忙了呗 |
[37:57] | Denny, there’s… | Danny 有件事… |
[38:01] | something a little… | 我想说的事儿 |
[38:04] | well, delicate I’ve been meaning to discuss. | 有点微妙 |
[38:08] | What? | 什么? |
[38:09] | Well, they say as a man… | 呃 都说人啊… |
[38:13] | ages, | 年纪大了 |
[38:14] | he eventually sits alone with nothing but his memories. | 最后只能孤零零的坐着 什么都没了 只剩回忆 |
[38:21] | I’m concerned that… | 我想… |
[38:23] | well, with the… | 如果得了 |
[38:25] | mad cow, | 疯牛病 |
[38:27] | y- you could possibly be robbed of your memories in the end. | 可能最后连回忆都没了 |
[38:32] | And what a horrible thing, | 这事儿多可怕 如果… |
[38:36] | not being able to even recollect the things… | 不能再想起那些 |
[38:41] | that brought you your most profound joy. | 最快乐的经历 |
[38:47] | Making love to Shirley… | 和Shirley做爱 |
[38:49] | how sad if one day… | 这会何等悲惨 如果有一天… |
[38:54] | you weren’t able to remember all the… | 你不能再回忆起那些 |
[38:58] | wonders of Shirley, how she… | Shirley的美妙 |
[39:02] | smelled, how she tasted, how… | 她的气息 她的味道 她的… |
[39:05] | I was thinking… | 我在想 |
[39:08] | if that day ever came, and you no longer… | 当那一天到来 而你不再能… |
[39:12] | it would be great if I could tell you about it to help you remember. | 如果我能告诉你这一切 帮你回忆 那该多好啊 |
[39:18] | Maybe I should make love with Shirley once, just so I’d know– | 也许我该和Shirley做一次爱 这样我就能知道… |
[39:21] | You’re pathetic. | 你真可怜 |
[39:22] | Exploiting my mad cow | 利用我的疯牛病 |
[39:24] | just so you could get in the sack with Shirley? | 就为了能和Shirley上床? |
[39:26] | All right. | 好吧 |
[39:30] | I can’t believe you just did that. | 真不敢相信你居然这么做了 |
[39:31] | Waltzing me down mad cow lane where there’s no memory lane just so you– | 忽悠我疯牛病失忆 你就可以.. |
[39:35] | All right. | 好了 |
[39:40] | Here’s where your logic failed, Alan. | 你的逻辑站不住脚的 Alan |
[39:43] | First of all, I’ll never be alone because I got you. | 第一 我有你 所以我永远不会孤单 |
[39:45] | Secondly, I could never forget what it was like to be with Shirley | 第二 我永远也不会忘记 和shirley在一起的感觉 |
[39:50] | because there was a magic there that no man could never forget. | 没有哪个男人能忘的了那种魔力 |
[39:54] | In fact, there’s a chance. | 事实上 说不定 |
[39:57] | that it’ll be the last memory I’ll have in the end. | 那将是最后我唯一拥有的回忆 |
[40:01] | It could be the only thing I’ll talk about in the end. | 也将是最后我唯一谈论的事 |
[40:06] | All day long… | 从早到晚 |
[40:09] | every day… | 每天如此 |
[40:11] | I’ll tell you about it. | 我都会向你说起 |
[40:14] | I’ll tell you… | 我会告诉你 |
[40:16] | how we moved together as one one night on the beach in Nantucket… | 那一夜我们是怎样 在nantucket的沙滩上合二为一 |
[40:23] | how her breasts were as soft and as pure as a baby’s behind. | 她的胸柔软白净的如同婴儿的屁屁 |
[40:27] | – You really are cruel. – Yes, I am. | – 你真残忍 – 没错 我就是 |
[40:30] | Cruel enough to shoot you if you so much as look at Shirley. | 甚至如果你再看Shirley一眼 我就一枪毙了你 |
[40:39] | I need a new woman to objectify. | 我得找个新女人来意淫了 |
[40:43] | What do you think of Sarah Palin? | 你觉得萨拉帕琳怎样? |
[40:45] | Oh, those pouty lips… | 那微噘的小嘴 |
[40:49] | and the– those down-to-earth, slutty good looks… | 十足浪荡的漂亮容貌 |
[40:51] | right here | 就地 |
[40:52] | I’ve got two things to say about Sarah Palin– | 对萨拉佩林我只有两点要说 |
[40:58] | right now | 即刻 |
[41:01] | You’re an angry sexist. | 你觉得我们有性别歧视吗 |
[41:03] | Why do you ask then? | 你为什么问这个 |
[41:05] | Just wondering aloud… | 我只是一直在想是不是 |
[41:12] | What about Shirley and Sarah | 如果和Shirley和Sarah一起 |
[41:17] | together? | 怎样? |
[41:19] | There’s a ticket. | 这肯定吸引选票 |
[41:22] | Who wouldn’t for that | 谁会不投这个呢 |