时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on Boston Legal | |
[00:02] | Oh, you think you’ll win. $50,000 says you won’t. | 噢 你觉得你会赢 5万美元赌你输 |
[00:05] | I’m not going to bet you. | 我不和你打赌 |
[00:06] | You know you’ll lose. | 你知道你输定了 |
[00:07] | I won’t lose. | 我不会输的 |
[00:08] | $50,000. | 5万美元 |
[00:10] | He’s out of control. | 他疯了 |
[00:11] | Your industry is out of control. | 你的企业才不正常了 |
[00:13] | You’ve bitten off more than you can chew this time, my friend. | 你这次嘴大喉咙小了 我的朋友 |
[00:15] | Oh, I don’t swallow. I just chew up and spit out. | 噢 我才不会吞掉 我只是嚼嚼就吐掉 |
[00:17] | We’ll see. | 我们走着瞧 |
[00:18] | I know exactly how big and powerful you are, Mr. Mathis. | 我完全了解你是多么的强大 Mathis先生 |
[00:22] | It might do you some good to check me out. | 或许现在你也该去查查我的底 |
[00:25] | – You’re losing. – I’m not losing. | – 你输定了 – 我不会输的 |
[00:27] | oh, yes, you’re losing. Double it? | 哦 没错 你输定了 加倍? |
[00:30] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[00:37] | Is it not red? | 不红吗? |
[00:39] | They’re always red in the morning. | 通常早上都是红的 |
[00:41] | see? | 瞧? |
[00:42] | You stay out of this. I know salmonella when I’ve got it. | 你别插嘴 我知道我得了沙门氏菌 |
[00:44] | Excuse me. | 打扰一下 |
[00:46] | Uh, my–my name’s Jason canfield. | 呃 我…我是Jason Canfield |
[00:47] | I’m looking for Mr. Poole. | 我在找Poole先生 |
[00:49] | Ah, well, Mr. Poole is not, uh, here at the moment. | 啊 Poole先生不在 |
[00:52] | Or there, for that matter. May I help you? | 过会儿也不会在 能帮你什么忙吗 |
[00:53] | Well, I was just passing by your building and saw the sign, | 我路过你们的大楼 看到了招牌 |
[00:56] | and I need a lawyer. | 我需要个律师 |
[00:57] | – So… How about crane? – Uh, Mr. Crane is fun. | – 那么… Crane怎么样? – 呃 Crane先生很有趣 |
[01:01] | You can always talk about him when he’s in the room, | 当他在的时候你随时能和他谈谈 |
[01:03] | which is a nice, but I don’t think he’s your man either. | 那会很好 但是我想 他也不是你需要的 |
[01:06] | So that leaves Schmidt. | 那么就剩下Schmidt了 |
[01:09] | I’m Schmidt. Let’s go to my office. | 我就是Schmidt 到我办公室吧 |
[01:12] | Why wouldn’t he ask for me? Am I not t star of this show? | 为啥他不点我呢? 难道我不是这儿(这剧)的明星? |
[01:15] | You see your name up there? | 你在这儿看到你的名字啦? |
[01:17] | This is not about how good you are. | 这不是你有多好的问题 |
[01:19] | It’s not? | 不是吗? |
[01:20] | It’s all about credit. That’s what’s important in life. | 而是信誉 这才是人生中重要的 |
[01:23] | Credit. | 信誉 |
[01:24] | And money. | 还有金钱 |
[01:24] | I thought it was all about getting the girl. | 我还以为是泡到的妞儿呢 |
[01:26] | Tell me it’s values, Carl. It’s about getting the girl, right? Money. | – Carl 告诉我衡量它的标准 是泡到的妞 对吧? – 金钱 |
[01:29] | – Money. – Sex. | – 金钱 – 性 |
[01:30] | Money. You call it. – Sex. | – 金钱 你决定吧 – 性 |
[01:32] | – Maybe it’s money and sex. – They go together. | – 也许是金钱和性 – 他们是一起的 |
[01:34] | One begets the other. | 得到一个就会有另一个 |
[01:35] | See? We’re not fighting. We’re in sync. | 瞧? 我们没大干一架 我们很统一 |
[01:42] | I can’t be sure, but I think Carl wants to be in sync, too. | 我不太肯定 但是我想 Carl也愿意统一一下 |
[01:50] | Boston Legal s05 ep05 | |
[02:18] | was he killed in Iraq? | 他在伊拉克被杀了? |
[02:20] | No, no. They patched him up okay there, brought him back. | 不 没有 他们在那儿包扎好他 把他送了回来 |
[02:24] | He died in a hospital here. The doctor killed him. | 他死在这里的一家医院 医生害死了他 |
[02:28] | But I know for a fact that there was Malactice, | 但是我可以肯定 这是起医疗事故 |
[02:31] | because he admitted it. | 因为他承认的 |
[02:33] | Mr. Canfield, I’ve tried a number | Canfield先生 我处理过不少 |
[02:35] | of medical malpractice cases in my time. | 医疗事故的案子 |
[02:37] | I’ve yet to run across a doctor | 我从没碰到过 |
[02:39] | who admitted his or her wrongdoing. | 承认自己过失的医生 |
[02:40] | Yeah, but this one did. | 没错 但是这人承认了 |
[02:43] | It–but I can’t sue, | 它…但是我却不能提起诉讼 |
[02:44] | because it happened in a military hospital. | 因为它发生在军医院 |
[02:45] | Something called the Feres Doctrine. | 一个所谓的费尔法例 |
[02:47] | You heard of that? | 你听说过吗? |
[02:48] | Yes it–it basically | 是的 它…它基本上 |
[02:49] | insulates military hospitals and their staffs from lawsuits | 确保当受害者是现役军人时 |
[02:53] | when the victims are on active duty. | 军部医院及其工作人员免于诉讼 |
[02:55] | My brother’s not on active duty anymore, Ms. Schmidt. | 我哥哥已经不是现役军人了 Schmidt女士 |
[02:59] | He’s dead. | 他死了 |
[03:03] | I’m afraid the doctrine would still apply. | 恐怕法例仍然适用 |
[03:06] | So there’s… There’s nothing I can do? | 所以…我无能为力了? |
[03:09] | Nothing? | 无能为力? |
[03:13] | Well… | 那么… |
[03:14] | But the law is clear. Soldiers are– | 但是法律很明确 士兵… |
[03:16] | Alan, I-I know. | Alan 我…我知道 |
[03:18] | It’s completely unwinnable. It doesn’t even make sense to try. | 这完全没胜算 尝试也是毫无意义 |
[03:20] | Which is why I’ve come to you. | 这正是为何我来找你 |
[03:23] | I’ve so missed watching the brave knight fight the windmill. | 我无比怀念看着勇敢的骑士与风车作战呀 |
[03:29] | Irley, this lawsuit is barred. | 很明显 这个诉讼是被禁止的 |
[03:31] | There’s a supreme court case directly on point, | 有一个最高法院案件直接针对此事 |
[03:33] | and it’s not like you to want to waste the firm’s money. | 而且也不可能是你想要浪费公司的钱 |
[03:37] | What’s going on? | 到底怎么回事? |
[03:40] | What’s going on is, when a man comes in off the street | 事实是 当一个无助的人来找我们 |
[03:43] | whose only brother has been wrongfully killed | 他的唯一的哥哥被误杀了 |
[03:45] | and asks you for your help, | 而他请求你的帮助 |
[03:48] | you help. | 你就帮他 |
[03:50] | It’s that simple. You help. | 就这么简单 你就帮他 |
[03:56] | Would it be the pentagon, then? | 会扯上五角大楼吗? |
[03:59] | Well, it… It might. | 嗯 …可能吧 |
[04:05] | Are you close, you and your sister? | 你和你姐姐关系很亲密吗 |
[04:07] | Well, mainly, she’d throw rocks at me. | 呃 通常她会朝我扔石头 |
[04:10] | Got it. | 了解了 |
[04:10] | She was a bit overbearing and… And extremely punctual. | 她有点霸道又…又非常准时 |
[04:14] | She should be here any– | 她随时都会来… |
[04:15] | hi. | 嗨 |
[04:17] | Hi. What are you doing on the desk? | 嗨 你在桌子上干嘛呢 |
[04:20] | Joy Espenson. Get down. Are you his girlfriend? | Joy Espenson 下来 你是他女朋友? |
[04:22] | No, I just– | 不是 我只是… |
[04:23] | You’re just what, purely sexual? | 你只是什么 只有性关系? |
[04:26] | Joy! This is Katie Lloyd, my colleague, a lawyer. | Joy! 这位是Katie Lloyd 我的同事 一名律师 |
[04:30] | You apologize this instant. | 你要马上道歉 |
[04:31] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[04:34] | I’m here about your nephew Henry. | 我是为了你外甥Henry来的 |
[04:35] | I have concerns. I need your help. | 我有些顾虑了 我需要你的帮助 |
[04:37] | What concerns? | 什么顾虑? |
[04:37] | Well, he’s 15. He’s going through puberty. | 他15岁了 正值青春期 |
[04:40] | He’s starting to get an acute interest in sex. | 他开始对性非常感兴趣 |
[04:41] | Isn’t that natural? | 这不是很正常吗 |
[04:42] | And he may be dating his sister. | 而且他很有可能在和他妹妹约会 |
[04:45] | What? | 什么? |
[04:46] | You heard me. | 你听到的没错 |
[04:46] | But he’s an only child. | 但是他是独生子 |
[04:47] | Well, he is or he isn’t. We don’t know. | 也许他不是 只是我们不知道 |
[04:49] | He was conceived by an anonymous sperm donor. | 他的父亲是一个匿名的精子捐助者 |
[04:51] | I have an excellent sex life so long as men | 只要不是男人非要成为我生活的一部分 |
[04:53] | don’t actually have to get in the bedroom with me. | 我会有很好的性生活 |
[04:56] | Anyway, turns out Fiona, that’s the girlfriend Fiona | 总之 再说Fiona 就是那个女友 |
[05:00] | she was conceived by an anonymous sperm donor. | 她的父亲也是由一名匿名的精子捐助者 |
[05:02] | It also turns out she’s the spitting image of Henry. | 而且她和Henry简直一模一样 |
[05:05] | I’m thinking, what are the odds? Are you with me? | 我都在想 这得是什么几率呀? 你们明白吗? |
[05:08] | To be honest, | 老实说 |
[05:08] | I’m still recovering from the gripping apology. | 我还在等待你那个道歉呢 |
[05:10] | I met Fiona’s mother. We both used the same agency | 我见了Fiona的妈妈 我们用了同一个机构 |
[05:14] | my god, what if? | 我的天呀 如果? |
[05:16] | I mean, what if they fall in love and get married | 我是指 如果他们相爱并结婚 |
[05:19] | and start reproducing? | 而且养育下一代 怎么办? |
[05:21] | W-well, let’s simply take DNA Swabs and– | 那么 我们直接做DNA检测和… |
[05:23] | DNA Is not conclusive with half siblings. | DNA不可能确定同父异母兄妹 |
[05:27] | Could you speak to him? | 你能和他谈谈吗 |
[05:28] | me? | 我? |
[05:29] | He loves you. | 他很爱你 |
[05:32] | Does she ever speak? | 她平时说话吗 |
[05:45] | I must say, when I first read the complaint, | 我必须得说 当我第一次读到起诉书时 |
[05:47] | I couldn’t decide | 我不知道 |
[05:48] | whether it was just laughable or nonsensical. | 该说它是太可笑还是太荒唐了 |
[05:51] | Now that I see who the attorney is, | 现在我看到了律师是谁 |
[05:52] | it makes sense that it’s laughable. | 我就明白为什么它这么可笑了 |
[05:55] | Wade and I go back. | Wade和我颇有渊源 |
[05:57] | He represents the pharmaceutical companies | 他作代表的那间制药公司 |
[05:58] | that almost killed Denny. | 几乎害死了Denny |
[05:59] | How’s that discovery going, by the way? | 顺便问一下 那个调查怎么样了? |
[06:02] | It might be proceeding more quickly | 它可能会进行的更快速 |
[06:03] | if I wasn’t sidetracked by baseless, groundless, frivolous claims. | 如果我不被无根据的无理的要求拖延 |
[06:06] | He’s a big fan of adjectives. | 他热衷于形容词 |
[06:08] | Yes, I go back a little bit with wade as well. | 没错 我和Wade也颇有渊源 |
[06:11] | Really? | 真的? |
[06:12] | The hospital has admitted committing gross misconduct, | 医院已经承认是他们的过失 |
[06:14] | which caused the victim’s death. | 导致了受害者死亡 |
[06:16] | But it’s a military hospital. They’re immune. | 但是那是军医院 是不受影响的 |
[06:19] | Fine. We have the merits, you have the legal technicalities. | 好吧 苦主在我们这边 法律上的技术性细节站你那边 |
[06:22] | Let’s meet somewhere in the middle. | 我们来做个折中 |
[06:23] | The technicality here is the trump card. | 在这里 技术性细节就是王牌 |
[06:25] | The supreme court clearly held | 最高法院明确表明 |
[06:27] | you can’t touch military hospitals. Game over. | 军医院完全免责 游戏结束 |
[06:30] | That ruling was 50 years ago. Things change. | 那是50年前的裁定 时过境迁了 |
[06:33] | Things change? | 时过境迁了? |
[06:35] | Will that be your legal argument, things change? | 那就是你的法律论点 时过境迁? |
[06:37] | I’ll have you know, Tony Scalia is personal friend of mine, | 我得让你知道 Tony Scalia和我私下是朋友 |
[06:39] | and trust me, he has no interest whatsoever | 同时相信我 他对任何 |
[06:41] | in what any supreme court before him has said. | 最高法院之前的表态都不会感兴趣 |
[06:44] | I don’t know why I even bothered to come over here. | 我不知道为何我还来这儿废话 |
[06:46] | Because you Miss me, wade. | 因为你想我了 Wade |
[06:48] | Hug? We’re a nation of huggers, you know? | 拥抱一下? 我们全民爱抱抱 你知道的 |
[06:51] | We will take this to court. | 我们会将它送上法院的 |
[06:55] | Fine. Do that. | 好吧 做吧 |
[06:56] | Have a lovely day. | 祝你们愉快 |
[07:01] | What? | 怎么了? |
[07:01] | We don’t really want it to end quickly, do we? He’s fun. | 我们不想真的这么快结束 是吧? 他很有趣 |
[07:08] | I certainly understand your concerns. | 我完全理解你的担心 |
[07:11] | But we have contractual agreements | 但是我们有合约协议 |
[07:13] | assuring absolute confidentiality | 对我们的所有精子捐助者 |
[07:15] | with all of our anonymous donors. | 确保绝对保密 |
[07:16] | He could be dating his sister. | 他可能会在和他妹妹约会 |
[07:18] | Joy | |
[07:20] | I appreciate your legal obligations, | 我理解你们的法律义务 |
[07:22] | but contracts can be vitiated on grounds of public policy. | 但是在公共政策上 合同可能会失效 |
[07:25] | And your public policy argument would be what? | 那你们公共政策的论点是什么? |
[07:27] | He’s dating his sister! | 他在和他妹妹约会! |
[07:29] | Joy | |
[07:33] | – Are these your children? – Yes, they are. | – 这些是你的孩子吗 – 是的 |
[07:36] | You have a beautiful family. | 你有一个美好的家庭 |
[07:38] | I can see they even look like you. | 我看得出她们很像你 |
[07:42] | Henry Espenson wonders whom he looks like. | Henry Espenson想知道他像谁 |
[07:46] | Do you really think it’s fair, Mr. Chism, | 你真的觉得这样公平吗 Chism先生 |
[07:48] | that Henry’s right to know his genetic lineage | Henry得知他的基因血缘的权利 |
[07:50] | was simply… Contracted away from him? | 仅仅…因为一纸合约便无法实现了? |
[07:54] | Mr. Espens, without assume of anonymity, | Espens先生 如果不是有匿名的保障 |
[07:57] | many sperm donors wouldn’t donate. | 许多精子捐献者将不会捐献 |
[07:59] | It’s possible Henry might not even exist. | 那么可能就没有Henry的存在了 |
[08:01] | And if we were to look at the equation | 如果我们站在 |
[08:02] | as best interest of the sperm donor, | 精子捐献者的立场 |
[08:04] | I’d side with you, but since courts | 我和你观点一致 |
[08:07] | typically opt for best interest of the child– | 然而法庭通常站在对孩子最有利的立场… |
[08:09] | And Henry would be better off on born? | 那么Henry出世还是不出世好呢 |
[08:12] | Believe me, Mr. Espenson, I’ve heard all the arguments. | 相信我 Espenson先生 我听到过所有的观点 |
[08:15] | And as I said, I do sympathize, | 正如我说 我很同情 |
[08:17] | but there is no wiggle room on this one. | 但是在这件事上没有商量的余地 |
[08:19] | We will not tell you who the sperm donor is. | 我们不会告诉你谁是精子捐献者 |
[08:38] | All right, listen, buddy, I’ve tried to play nice here, | 好吧 听着 哥们儿 我本想试着温和些 |
[08:43] | but if we have to go to court, I’ll do it. | 但是如果我们得法院见 我会做的 |
[08:45] | I’ll close your doors, and then you can liquidate | 我会让你关门大吉 然后你可以清算 |
[08:48] | all your little test tubes | 你所有的小试管 |
[08:50] | and turkey besters, your porn videos. | 和没用的精子植入器 色情录影带 |
[08:52] | See this here? It’s a cigarette, bub. | 看到这个了吧? 这是根香烟 哥们儿 |
[08:55] | And you can put it out like this, | 你可以只是在烟灰缸中 |
[08:56] | just snuff it in an ashtray, | 像这样掐灭它 |
[08:58] | or I can stomp it with my size-13 boats. | 或者我也能用我13码的大鞋踩扁它 |
[09:01] | Either way, it’s extinguished, pal. | 它被熄灭了 |
[09:03] | Whether you want to be snuffed, stomped or sucked dry, | 你是想被掐灭 踩扁 或者吸完呢? |
[09:06] | we can do it nice, do it rough. | 我们能温和地处理 也能用非常手段 |
[09:08] | How’s gonna be? | 我们怎么办? |
[09:11] | Just… | 等等… |
[09:15] | Yes, security, please. | 是的 请叫保安 |
[09:24] | I am not being a traitor. I’m supporting our troops. | 我不是叛徒 我是为了支持我们的军队 |
[09:26] | Why aren’t you? | 为什么你不呢? |
[09:27] | Isn’t this war costing us enough | 即便没有律师的在里面掺和 |
[09:30] | without the lawyers coming in– | 花在这场战争上的钱已经够多的了 |
[09:32] | Oh, I don’t want to get into this. | 哦 我可不想开始这种争论 |
[09:33] | Alan, I’m gonna tell you something | Alan 我想和你说点事 |
[09:34] | and you need to hear this– America is sick of bush bashing. | 而且你很需要听听… 美国已经厌倦了对布什的猛攻 |
[09:38] | Enough already. | 够了吧 |
[09:39] | I’m not bashing bush. | 我没攻击布什政府 |
[09:40] | You’re suing the military, which is the pentagon, | 你在起诉军队 代表着五角大楼 |
[09:42] | which is the government, which is bush. | 代表着政府 代表着布什 |
[09:45] | It all comes down to bush. | 最后全都指向了布什 |
[09:45] | Denny, this isn’t about bush. | Denny 这和布什没关系 |
[09:47] | This is about the troops risking their lives in the– | 这是关于冒着生命危险的军队在… |
[09:49] | Oh, please. | 噢 拜托 |
[09:51] | After the debacle at Walter reed, | 经过Walter Reed(军事医疗中心)崩溃之后 你还这么说 |
[09:53] | you must be kidding. | 你不是开玩笑呢吧 |
[09:54] | These kids are returning with catastrophic wounds. | 这些孩子回家的时候依然带着灾难性的创伤 |
[09:57] | Who the hell is looking out for them, really? Not congress. | 谁真正在关心他们? 反正不是国会 |
[10:01] | It’s one you can’t win, Alan. | 这次你绝对输定了 Alan |
[10:03] | Says who? | 谁说的? |
[10:04] | Says law. | 法律说的 |
[10:05] | Says the united states supreme court. | 美国的最高法院说的 |
[10:08] | Says $50,000. | 5万美元说的 |
[10:09] | You know what? I don’t… | 你知道吧? 我不… |
[10:15] | You want to bet. | 你想打赌? |
[10:16] | Uh-huh. If you insist on being an idiot, | 嗯-哼 如果你坚持做蠢事 |
[10:18] | at least let me profit from it. | 至少能让我从中获利 |
[10:21] | Have you no shame whatsoever? | 你一点都不羞耻? |
[10:24] | None. | 完全不 |
[10:27] | All proceeds to go the troops. | 赢的钱全部捐给军队? |
[10:29] | Fine. | 很好 |
[10:30] | Fine. | 很好 |
[10:33] | Fine. | 很好 |
[10:48] | There are reasons for this doctrine, Ms. Schmidt. | 这个法例是有原因的 Schmidt小姐 |
[10:51] | Yes, your honor, bad ones. | 是的 法官大人 那些是不合理的 |
[10:53] | These kids fight our wars. | 这些孩子为我们而战 |
[10:55] | It’s an undue burden to compensate them | 而当他们成了医生玩忽职守的受害者时 |
[10:57] | when they’re victims of medical malpractice? | 补偿他们却成为一种不适当的负担? |
[11:00] | The soldier in question | 我们现在所谈的这位士兵 |
[11:01] | lost his life because of an avoidable, | 因为医护人员可以避免的过失行为 |
[11:03] | negligent hospital screw up | 而丧命 |
[11:05] | it’s not just the money. | 这不仅仅是金钱的事 |
[11:06] | Subjecting the military hospitals to discovery– | 指责军医院… |
[11:09] | Oh, come on. | 哦 得了吧 |
[11:09] | May I finish? | 我能接着说完吗? |
[11:10] | You didn’t let me finish. | 你没让我说完 |
[11:11] | Your honor, this goes beyond bad faith. | 法官大人 这比欺诈还要严重的 |
[11:14] | We send these kids to war, they come back | 我们把这些孩子送上战场 而他们回来了 |
[11:16] | in need of medical care, | 需要医疗救治 |
[11:17] | our doctors commit malpractice, and we tell them, | 我们的医生却玩忽职守 而我们告诉他们 |
[11:20] | “oops. You can’t sue because of a-a doctrine | “你不能起诉 因为有法例 |
[11:23] | that selectively singles out and punishes soldiers”? | 能有选择性地将士兵独立出来 并使其受难”? |
[11:26] | I thought he was the speech maker. | 我还认为他(Alan)是喜欢长篇大论 |
[11:27] | No, today you got me. | 不 今天轮到我了 |
[11:29] | At least let me call a witness or two. | 至少让我传唤一两名证人 |
[11:33] | My client lost his only brother. | 我的代理人失去了他唯一的哥哥 |
[11:35] | If he can’t have his day in court, | 即便这件案子不能上庭 |
[11:40] | at least give him an hour. | 至少能给他一个小时 |
[11:44] | All right. I’ll allow you to call witnesses | 好吧 基于此法例的合理性 |
[11:46] | as to the legality of the doctrine. | 我准许你传唤证人 |
[11:49] | Your honor, if she doesn’t like the law, | 法官大人 如果她不认同法律 |
[11:50] | her recourse is the legislature, not a judge. | 她该求助立法机构 而非一位法官 |
[11:53] | Well, thank you, Mr. Mathis. I know what my role is. | 谢谢 Mathis先生 我知道我的任务 |
[11:58] | 2:00 | |
[12:04] | You started sucking on the cigarette? | 你开始吸那木头烟了? |
[12:06] | I-I think I got some wood fibers | 我…我想我的肺上 |
[12:07] | lodged in my lungs. | 有些木纤维 |
[12:11] | Well, wh-what happened? | 那么 发生什么事了? |
[12:12] | Well… I just saw my sister looking at me | 是这样…我只是看到我姐姐 |
[12:14] | like I was this big loser, the way she did growing up. | 像看一个大失败者一样看我 她从小就是这样的 |
[12:18] | Did she really throw rocks at you? | 她真的朝你扔石头? |
[12:20] | yes. | 没错 |
[12:20] | She thought if a hard object came hurtling at my head, | 她觉得如果一个硬东西砸向我的头 |
[12:22] | I’d have to lift my hands off my thighs to block it. | 我会举起大腿上的手去阻止它 |
[12:25] | She does love me in her way, but her way sucks. | 她用自己的方式爱着我 不过她的方式很糟糕 |
[12:32] | It’s a prop. | 这是个道具 |
[12:35] | So what happens now with the case? | 那么这案子现在该怎么办? |
[12:36] | Well, we go to court, but first, we have to tell Henry. | 我们要上法庭 但是首先 我们要告诉Henry |
[12:40] | How can I help? | 我能帮什么忙? |
[12:41] | You can’t really. I need to do this | 你真的帮不上忙 这是我该做的 |
[12:44] | can you? | 你没问题吧? |
[12:49] | It’s a prop. | 只是道具 |
[12:58] | Sometimes I think about retiring, | 有时我考虑退休 |
[12:59] | but what would I do? | 但是我能做什么呢? |
[13:01] | I hate golf. I don’t much like to travel. | 我讨厌高尔夫球 我也不太喜欢旅游 |
[13:04] | Do you ever think about retiring? | 你有没有想过退休? |
[13:06] | Not really, | 没想过 |
[13:08] | as long as I can practice law on my own terms. | 只要我还能和基于我的想法去做一个律师 |
[13:11] | And you’re doing that? | 而你正这样做着? |
[13:14] | Still able to put your judgments in question form, I see. | 你仍然能用疑问句的形式对别人做出妄断 |
[13:19] | You know, Shirley, | 你知道吗 Shirley |
[13:20] | I’m still on the board of bar overseers. | 我仍然在法律界督导委员会里 |
[13:24] | There’s a lot of talk about your firm lately. | 最近有很多针对你公司的言论 |
[13:28] | Is there? | 是吗? |
[13:29] | Yes, regarding its, uh… | 是的 关于其 呃… |
[13:32] | Slide. | 下滑 |
[13:35] | I wasn’t aware of any slide. | 我没注意到任何的下滑迹象 |
[13:37] | Two of your name partners have lost their minds, | 其中的两个冠名合伙人已经失去了理智 |
[13:40] | and you… | 而你… |
[13:42] | What about me? | 我怎么了? |
[13:44] | I’ve known you a long time. May I be brutally honest? | 我认识你很久了 我能说出残酷的真相吗? |
[13:47] | Oh, please. | 哦 请说吧 |
[13:48] | This Alan shore is dragging you into the sewer. | 这个Alan Shore正在把你拖下水 |
[13:52] | “Crane Poole and Schmidt” It’s now his thumbprints all over crane, Poole & Schmidt, | 现在他大大地影响着 |
[13:54] | not yours. | 而不是你 |
[13:56] | He’s unscrupulous, | 他很狂妄 |
[13:57] | he’s disrespectful to our judiciary, | 他不尊重我们的司法制度 |
[13:59] | he’s a bad seed, | 他是个坏胚子 |
[14:02] | and his reputation… | 而他的声誉… |
[14:04] | Is running to your firm as a whole, to you. | 以你的整个公司都有影响 而对于你 |
[14:08] | I see his influence in play in–in this very case. | 我看到了他对目前这件案子的影响 |
[14:11] | You brought a baseless, frivolous cause of action | 你却提出一个毫无根据 毫无意义的 |
[14:14] | barred by law. why? | 被法律禁止的控诉 为什么? |
[14:18] | Are you done? | 你说完了吗? |
[14:20] | Go ahead. Let me have it. I’m a big boy. | 继续 说吧 我是个大人了 |
[14:26] | I’ve practiced a long time, worked with some of | 我已经做律师很长一段时间了 |
[14:29] | the highest-ranking members of our profession– | 和那些同行的最高级成员共事… |
[14:31] | I include you among them– | 我把你也划入其中… |
[14:33] | But I have yet to be associated | 但是我从未遇到比Alan Shore更有能力 |
[14:35] | with a more skilled, more principled, | 更有原则 |
[14:40] | more noble attorney than Alan shore. | 更崇高的律师 |
[14:44] | If his is the reputation I’m to be saddled with, | 如果我必须勉强接受他的声誉所带来的问题 |
[14:47] | I will take it. And lunch is over. | 我会这么做的 而且午餐也到此为止了 |
[14:53] | If you want to reject my opinion, | 如果你想拒绝我的意见 |
[14:54] | that’s your prerogative. | 那是你的特权 |
[14:56] | But here’s a fact– He is putting your firm in peril. | 但是事实是…他正在 把你的公司推向危险 |
[15:01] | Believe me when I tell you that. | 当我告诉你那些时 相信我 |
[15:20] | Jerry, thank you so much for helping me tell him. | Jerry 非常感谢你帮我告诉他 |
[15:21] | I’m just so afraid if he hears it from me, | 我只是害怕 如果由我告诉他 |
[15:23] | he’ll hate my guts forever. | 他会永远恨死我了 |
[15:25] | Hey, mom. Hi, uncle jerry. | 嘿 妈妈 嗨 Jerry舅舅 |
[15:27] | Henry! Hello. Welcome. | Henry! 你好 欢迎来这儿 |
[15:32] | This could take a while. | 这可能需要点儿时间 |
[15:35] | It’s so good to see you. | 见到你真高兴 |
[15:36] | You, too. This is my girlfriend Fiona. | 我也是 这是我女朋友 Fiona |
[15:39] | I brought her along, if that’s okay. | 我带她来了 如果可以的话 |
[15:40] | We’re kind of inseparable. | 我们是连体婴 |
[15:47] | So what’s the big mystery? Did I inherit money or something? | 那么有什么重大秘密? 是我继承了财产还是什么东西? |
[15:50] | Did my birth father keel? | 还是翻出了我的亲生爸爸? |
[15:51] | Henry. | |
[15:53] | So really, what’s the deal? | 说真的 有什么事? |
[15:57] | Let’s… Go into the conference room | 让我们…到会议室去吧 |
[15:59] | where we all can sit. | 我们可以都坐下来 |
[16:08] | Are you currently serving in the military, sir? | 您目前是正在服兵役吗 先生? |
[16:10] | No, I’m a retired captain for the u.s. Army. | 不是 我是一个退休的上尉 |
[16:13] | I served until last year. | 我去年结束服役的 |
[16:14] | And what were your primary responsibilities? | 那么过去你主要的职责是什么? |
[16:17] | For the last nine years, I was mainly in recruiting, | 在最近九年 我主要做新兵招募 |
[16:20] | getting young men to enlist. | 补充年轻人 |
[16:22] | Did you retire on good terms? | 你退休的待遇好吗? |
[16:23] | Not so much. | 并不太好 |
[16:24] | Could you tell us why? | 你能告诉我为什么吗? |
[16:26] | Well…it was suggested I retire after I was a little too outspoken | 呃…我在讨论我所认为是征兵上的 黑箱操作问题上过于直白 |
[16:30] | on what I perceived as a backdoor draft. | 所以被建议退休 |
[16:33] | Um, when you say “backdoor draft”– | 恩 你说的”黑箱操作”… |
[16:35] | I mean we target the poor. | 我是指我们针对穷人 |
[16:37] | No one likes to say it publicly, but that’s what we do. | 没人愿意公开的说这事 但是这正是我们做的 |
[16:40] | And you target low-income youth because? | 那你们为什么会针对低收入青年? |
[16:43] | They needed the money. Most kids don’t want | 他们缺钱 很多孩子都不愿意 |
[16:45] | to go off and fight wars if they can avoid it, | 离家而去参战 如果他们能避免的话 |
[16:47] | so we hone in on the kids without options. | 所以我们主攻那些没的选择的孩子 |
[16:50] | The poor. | 那些贫困者 |
[16:51] | The poor. We set up our recruitment stations | 贫困者 我们在贫困居民商场和 |
[16:54] | in the poor neighborhood malls and in the poor high schools. | 穷人高中设立了招聘站 |
[16:56] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[16:58] | Can you at least tell me the connection to this case? | 至少你能告诉我这与本案的关系吗? |
[17:00] | It goes to fairness, Mr. Mathis. | 它关乎公正 Mathis先生 |
[17:03] | We go after the lowest economic demographic | 我们追逐社会最低经济人口 |
[17:05] | in our society to fight our wars. | 让我们为我们而战 |
[17:07] | These kids are risking their lives out of financial duress. | 这些孩子迫于经济而冒生命危险 |
[17:11] | – They have– – I’m sorry, Ms. Schmidt. | – 他们… – 抱歉 Schmidt小姐 |
[17:13] | This is an entirely different issue. | 这是完全不同的问题 |
[17:16] | This witness is disallowed. | 这个证人被驳回了 |
[17:17] | Your honor, I would like you to understand the context of this– | 法官大人 我想让你了解这个的背景… |
[17:20] | No. We’re gonna stay on issue. | 我们不要偏题 |
[17:22] | Now if you’ve got a witness who can talk out this case | 如果你有能谈论本案或法例的证人 |
[17:25] | or the doctrine itself, I’ll listen. | 我会聆听的 |
[17:27] | Otherwise, this witness is disallowed. | 但是 这个证人被驳回了 |
[17:30] | Now who else do you have? | 那么你还有什么人吗 |
[17:32] | Yes, I would like to hear from the doctor | 是的 我想听听治疗 |
[17:34] | who treated my client’s brother. | 我代理人哥哥的医生 |
[17:36] | Defense stipulated that he committed an avoidable error | 被告承认他犯了一个可避免的错误 |
[17:39] | rising to the level of malpractice. | 甚至可称为渎职 |
[17:41] | I’d like to hear from him all the same since– | 我想从他那儿听到相同的… |
[17:42] | There’s no point here from the doctor | 聆听医生的证供毫无意义 |
[17:45] | unless you’re trying to manipulate me | 除非你想利用这些悲惨的情绪来左右我 |
[17:47] | with either horror or motion, neither of which informs us | 而这对证明费尔法例 |
[17:50] | of the legitimacy | 的合理性 |
[17:52] | or the lawfulness of the Feres Doctrine. | 及合法性都无帮助 |
[17:55] | Your honor, certainly you’re allowed to be horrified | 法官大人 你当然会被 |
[17:57] | by the facts in this case. | 这件案子的事实而惊吓到 |
[17:58] | The doctor is disallowed. | 医生被驳回了 |
[18:00] | In order to fully appreciate this doctrine | 为了充分了解这一法例 |
[18:03] | and its capricious application, | 及其反复无常的应用 |
[18:05] | your honor needs to hear test– | 法官大人 您需要听听证… |
[18:06] | Oh, wait a minute. | 哦 等等 |
[18:07] | You’ve–you’ve wasted enough of my time already. | 你…你已经浪费我够多时间了 |
[18:10] | I’d like to hear summations from counsel | 我想听听律师小结了 |
[18:13] | in this court tomorrow at 10:00 a.m., | 明天上午10点 开庭 |
[18:15] | and then I’ll rule. | 而我会作出裁决 |
[18:17] | In the meantime, I’d like to see counsel in my chambers. | 同时 律师到我办公室来 |
[18:25] | Well… | 好吧… |
[18:27] | It, um, uh, might be… Best | 这个 呃 呃 可能…更好 |
[18:29] | if this conversation were– Were private. | 如果这个谈话是…是私下的 |
[18:33] | Mom, whatever it is, I’m gonna tell Fiona. | 妈妈 不管是什么 我都会告诉Fiona |
[18:35] | E’s my soul mate. | 她是我的命定爱人 |
[18:37] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:40] | Well… | 那么… |
[18:42] | The thing is, Henry… | 是这样的 Henry… |
[18:48] | Tell him. | 告诉他 |
[18:50] | Well, Henry, hello. Welcome. | 好吧 Henry 你好 欢迎能来 |
[18:52] | This is a little bit about your birth father, actually. | 事实上 这却是和的亲生父亲有一点关系 |
[18:56] | – Did he croak? – No. No, no, no. | – 他嗝儿了(俗语的死)吗? – 不 不 不 不 |
[18:57] | Well, we have no way of knowing one way or another | 不管怎样我们都不可能知道 |
[18:59] | since we have no idea who he even is. | 在我们甚至不知道他是谁的时候 |
[19:01] | Fiona’s born down a baby too | Fiona也是一个试管婴儿 |
[19:03] | it’s one of the first things we bonded over. | 这也是第一件把我们结合在一起的事 |
[19:05] | Yes, in fact, you’re not just sperm-donor babies. | 是的 实际上 你们不只是试管婴儿 |
[19:09] | But you both come from the same sperm bank, actually. | 而事实上 你们来自同一个精子库 |
[19:13] | Really? | 真的? |
[19:15] | Cool. You see? We’re so much alike. | 酷 瞧见没? 我们太像了 |
[19:19] | M-more alike than you might imagine. | 比你们能想到的更相像 |
[19:21] | It’s possible… You came from the same sperm donor. | 有可能…你们来自相同的精子捐献者 |
[19:27] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思? |
[19:28] | Well… | 呃… |
[19:30] | You may have… | 你们可能有… |
[19:36] | Um… | 呃… |
[19:39] | The same birth father. | 同一个亲生父亲 |
[19:42] | The odds are against it, of course, | 也可能不是 当然 |
[19:43] | but there’s a wee chance that… | 但是有极小的可能… |
[19:49] | Uh, Fiona… | 呃 Fiona… |
[19:51] | Is… | 是… |
[19:55] | Your half sister. | 你的同父异母妹妹 |
[20:00] | That–it can’t be. | 这…这不可能 |
[20:02] | I-I–I’m sure it isn’t, but, uh, um, it might be. | 我肯定不会的 但也有可能 |
[20:08] | How can we know…for sure? | 我们怎样才能确切地知道呢 |
[20:11] | Well… That’s the thing. | 那才是重点所在 |
[20:15] | Uh, we… Can’t. | 我们无法确定 |
[20:18] | We’re trying, but so far… | 我们在努力着 但是目前 |
[20:22] | We can’t. | 我们无法确定 |
[20:32] | I have been informed | 我得知 |
[20:35] | that counsel has been wagering on this case. | 有律师对此案下赌注了 |
[20:39] | Is that true? | 真的吗 |
[20:43] | That is absolutely false. | 子虚乌有 |
[20:45] | Mr. Shore… | Shore先生 |
[20:47] | – What about you? – Me? | – 你呢 – 我 |
[20:49] | I’ve been informed | 我知道 |
[20:50] | that you and Denny crane have a side bet for $50,000. | 你和Denny Crane有五万块的外围赌注 |
[20:55] | Is that true? | 真的吗 |
[20:59] | – Alan – Well… – Alan? | – 嗯 |
[21:04] | Proceeds go to the troops. | 赢利捐给军队 |
[21:07] | I never bet on baseball, and I bet we’d win here, | 我没赌过棒球赛 但我是赌我们赢 |
[21:09] | so it’s not as if I’m throwing anything here. | 所以又不是说我准备打假球故意输掉 |
[21:11] | But a senior partner in your firm– | 但是你律所里的一位高级合伙人… |
[21:14] | Denny and I have these little side bets all the time. | Denny和我经常小赌几把 |
[21:17] | It’s not like… That answer remotely helped me. | 并不是 这个回答一点都帮不了我 |
[21:22] | I lied about that actually. | 事实上我骗你们的 |
[21:23] | Denny and I don’t bet all the time. | Denny和我不是老在赌 |
[21:25] | I never bet. I just… Lie. | 我从来不赌 只是骗人而已 |
[21:29] | My therapist recommends that I lie to get past the… | 我的治疗师建议我骗人以戒掉 |
[21:34] | Gambling problem. | 赌瘾 |
[21:35] | Well, I’m recommending you for disbarment | 案子一结 |
[21:37] | as soon as this case is through. | 我就会提议将你你的律师执照吊销 |
[21:39] | All right. Summation, 10:00 a.m. Tomorrow. | 好吧 明天早上十点 来做总结 |
[22:01] | – You told the judge? – What? | – 你泄密给法官了 – 泄什么密 |
[22:03] | About our bet. You told the judge. | 关于我们赌博的事 你泄密给法官了 |
[22:05] | I did no such thing. | 没有 |
[22:07] | Well, he knows, Denny. How would he know? | 但他知道了 Denny 他怎么会知道的 |
[22:08] | Don’t ask me. | 别问我 |
[22:09] | You never said anything to anybody? | 你什么都没跟别人说过吗 |
[22:11] | Well, I-I might have mentioned it to the clerk in passing. | 我可能是对那法官助手漏了嘴 |
[22:15] | – I don’t believe it. – Calm down. | – 不是吧 – 冷静 |
[22:17] | You sabotaged a case of this firm | 你故意破坏律所的案子 |
[22:19] | so you could win a bet? You sabotaged me. | 为了赢一个赌注 你故意给我搞破坏 |
[22:22] | – Keep your voice down. – I will not keep my voice down. | – 别说那么大声 – 我就那么大声 |
[22:25] | You sold me out. I’m up for disbarment now. | 你出卖了我 我要被吊销律师执照了 |
[22:27] | – You might be, too. – I’ll make a few calls. | – 你也会有如此下场的 – 我打个电话 |
[22:28] | Denny, we wagered on a case. | Denny 我们在赌一场官司 |
[22:30] | Do you have any idea how unethical that is? | 你知道这样会有多不道德吗 |
[22:34] | Well, it’s not like we bet on baseball. | 又不是说我们在赌棒球赛 |
[22:36] | You did this to me, to your best friend. | 你这样对我 对你的死党 |
[22:39] | Winning a bet is… My god. | 为了赢了就… 我的天哪 |
[22:48] | She looks mad. | 她看起来很生气呀 |
[22:49] | Of all the things you have done… | 你们的所作所为… |
[22:51] | Never mind the illegality of it, | 不提其非法性 |
[22:54] | the insensitivity… | 其麻木不仁… |
[22:56] | A soldier lost his life. | 一名士兵长辞人世 |
[22:58] | – Shirley – There is no excuse, Alan. | – Alan 别找借口 – Shirley– |
[23:01] | I wasn’t about to offer any. | 我没有找借口 |
[23:03] | It was stupid. We never should have done it. | 上述所为愚蠢至极 我是不应该做的 |
[23:04] | If I thought it would have any bearing on the case, I never w– | 如果我想到会对案子有那么 大的影响的话 我绝不会 |
[23:07] | Of course it has bearing. | 它当然有影响了啦 |
[23:09] | The judge now takes our case much less seriously bec– | 现在法官不太严肃对待我们的案子了 |
[23:12] | Which was obviously Denny’s plan, | 显然易见 那是Denny的嫂主意 |
[23:13] | which is why he told the clerk. | 那就是他告诉那个法官助手的原因了 |
[23:14] | Oh, sure. Sell me out. | 是啊 出卖我吧 |
[23:16] | You sold me out. You betrayed me. | 你出卖了我 你背叛了我 |
[23:18] | You both betrayed me | 你们两个都背叛了我 |
[23:21] | and this firm and the client. | 和这间律所及其当事人 |
[23:27] | You sicken me, both of you. | 你太恶心了 你们两个都是 |
[23:35] | Maybe I shouldn’t have told. | 也许我多嘴了 |
[23:37] | Maybe?! | 也许 |
[23:40] | You risked everything. | 你将所有置于危险之中 |
[23:42] | Our friendship, our trust, our nights on the balcony– | 我们之间的友谊 我们之间的信任 我们之间的阳台夜话 |
[23:46] | You put a stupid bet before it all. | 你把一个赌搏看得比所有事情都重要 |
[23:48] | I mean–you know what? I don’t care. | 我是说 我不想理了 |
[23:50] | I’m done. We’re done. | 完了 我们之间没有瓜葛了 |
[23:54] | – Alan – I can’t even look at you. | – 我甚至不想看你 – Alan. |
[24:03] | So this isn’t y kind of in vitro facility or– | 这些是什么人工受孕机构还是 |
[24:06] | No, your honor. It’s simply a bank. | 不 法官大人 它不过是间精子银行 |
[24:08] | People buy and sell sperm. | 顾客在那里买进然后卖出精子 |
[24:09] | And do people buy and sell a lot of it, | 顾客在银行大量买卖精子吗 |
[24:11] | or has the weakened American dollar taken its toll there as well? | 还是它也导致美元受挫? |
[24:15] | Your honor, I certainly hope you’re not finding humor in this. | 法官大人 希望您不要在这件案子里找笑料 |
[24:17] | The consequences here are potentially dire. | 因为后果可能很悲惨 |
[24:20] | Look, the odds of two people from the same donor meeting are– | 两个来自同一个捐赠人的人碰到一起 |
[24:23] | Not preposterous. | 也是有可能的 |
[24:25] | Many donors donate buckets of sperm over time. | 多年来 很多人捐献了大量精子 |
[24:27] | In fact, with designer babies and genetic engineering | 事实上 婴儿改造和基因工程 |
[24:30] | being the new must-have for wealthy families, | 已经成为小康之家的最新必需品 |
[24:32] | many prospective parents go looking for | 很多希望成为父母的人 |
[24:34] | that athletic good-looking man with the ivy league degree. | 都希望找到有运动细胞的 英俊的 毕业于名校的捐赠者 |
[24:38] | There are some donors | 有一些捐赠人 |
[24:39] | who have sired more offspring than secretariat. | 其后代多不胜数 |
[24:43] | It’s only a matter of time | 假以时日 |
[24:44] | before two people from the same seed hook up. | 来自相同的精子的人就会碰上 |
[24:48] | Crown cryo bank follows the guidelines recommended by | Crown 精子银行遵守 |
[24:50] | the American society for reproductive medicine | 美国生殖医学协会所提出的守则 |
[24:53] | to specifically guard against the possibility of consanguinity. | 其特别注意预防血亲可能相遇 |
[24:56] | But it can happen. | 但是一切皆有可能 |
[24:57] | Looking at these two kids, you can see the possibility. | 观察一下这两个小孩 你就能看到这种可能性了 |
[25:00] | Your honor, if I may, | 法官大人 如果不介意的话 我想发言 |
[25:01] | we limit the number of live births per donor | 我们限制每位捐赠人 的婴儿安全出生量 |
[25:04] | to 25 per population of 800,000. | 使之只占每八十万人中的25个 |
[25:07] | But you have no means of actually tracking that number. | 但是你无法跟踪那些数据 |
[25:10] | There’s no obligation for the women to tell you | 一旦精子被买走之后 |
[25:12] | the results of the purchased sperm once it leaves the depot. | 妇女们没有法律义务告知你其最后的结果 |
[25:14] | We have binding contracts with our donors. | 我们和捐赠人之间签下 了有法律约束力的合同 |
[25:17] | But if you talk to adopt children?? | 但如果你和收养儿童促膝长谈 |
[25:19] | They will tell you there is a need. | 他们会告诉你 他们有需要 |
[25:22] | Even the–the ones raised by loving adoptive families, | 甚至是被爱心家庭收养的儿童 |
[25:25] | there is a fundamental, | 他们有基本的 |
[25:27] | perhaps even primal need, | 也许甚至是最基本的需要 |
[25:29] | to know who and where they came from. | 那就是 知道其身世 |
[25:33] | And these contracts say, | 但这份合同说 |
[25:35] | “no, sorry, sperm donors’ privacy counts more.” | 不行 很抱歉 精子捐赠人 隐私至上 |
[25:38] | That’s wrong. | 大错特错 |
[25:40] | Parents have always treated children like chattel, | 父母经常对待孩子像动产 |
[25:42] | like acquisitions, but this… | 或者战利品一样 但是 这一切一切 |
[25:44] | The u.k. Passed a law | 英国颁布了一部法律 |
[25:45] | ending the practice of donating sperm anonymously. | 禁止匿名捐赠精子行为 |
[25:48] | Fertility clinics started to dry up. | 生育机构于是山穷水尽 |
[25:51] | Some have no sperm at all. | 而有些机构已经没有精子了 |
[25:52] | Desperate parents lose out. | 绝望的父母束手无策 |
[25:55] | All right. | 好吧 |
[25:56] | I think I know the arguments. | 我了解这件案子的对立论点了 |
[25:59] | Yes, son? | 有什么话吗 |
[26:02] | I just want to say, judge, | 法官 我只是想说 |
[26:04] | nobody ever consulted me. | 没人和我商量过 |
[26:06] | Now if I want to know where I came from, | 如果我要知道的身世 |
[26:07] | who my birth father is, | 我的亲生父亲是谁 |
[26:09] | does cancer run in the family, | 我家族里有人患癌症吗 |
[26:11] | are there any other diseases I might be more likely to get, | 有别的疾病是我更可能患上的吗 |
[26:14] | do I have any brothers or sisters, | 我有兄弟姐妹吗 |
[26:16] | is there anybody else out there who looks like me– | 还有和我相像的人吗 |
[26:19] | I don’t get to know any of that | 我没机会知道答案 |
[26:22] | because before I was born, some people entered into a contract. | 因为在我出生前 一些人就签下了合同 |
[26:43] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[26:45] | Go tell someone who’s interested. | 去跟感兴趣的人说去 |
[26:46] | I’m working on my summation. | 我要结案 |
[26:48] | – Alan, I– – Get out. | – Alan 我 – 滚 |
[26:50] | You don’t do something like… | 你别… |
[26:53] | Sorry isn’t good enough. | 抱歉是不够的 |
[27:03] | Alan… | |
[27:05] | I’m slipping. | 我在衰退 |
[27:09] | What would ever | 曾经那些 |
[27:13] | possess me to– | 驱使我去– |
[27:14] | I mean, I do crazy things, | 我是说 我经常做些疯狂的事情 |
[27:16] | but I-I always know what I’m doing. | 但我总是知道自己在干什么 |
[27:20] | My judgment on this was… | 我对此事的判断 |
[27:28] | I know I’m slipping. | 我知道我在衰退 |
[27:33] | I’m so, so sorry. | 我真的很抱歉 |
[27:34] | For me to have done this to the person I love most is… | 我对我最亲近的人做这种事真是… |
[27:41] | What’s happening to me? | 我怎么了 |
[27:43] | Nothing’s happening to you. | 你没怎么 |
[27:45] | Yes, it is. | 有的 |
[27:47] | I’m not sure. | 我不敢肯定 |
[27:48] | Maybe I shouldn’t practice anymore. | 我该金盆洗手了 |
[27:51] | Look, don’t overreact. | 你的反应过度了 |
[27:52] | I told the clerk of a sitting judge | 我对本案法官的助手说 |
[27:55] | we had a bet on the case. | 我们赌这场官司 |
[28:01] | If I’m going down, I–I’m not taking you down with me. | 如果我完了 我不会拉你做陪葬的 |
[28:05] | It’s time I quit. | 该退出江湖了 |
[28:07] | If you quit work, Denny, | 如果你不再工作的话 Denny |
[28:09] | your brain will shrivel up to the size of a small raisin, | 你的脑子会萎缩成一颗葡萄干那么大 |
[28:12] | and you surely will die. | 然后一命呜呼 |
[28:20] | Have you be feeling other symptoms lately? | 最近你还有什么病症吗 |
[28:25] | Sometimes I feel a little foggy | 有时候觉得视线模糊 |
[28:27] | and I don’t seem to always get things. | 对些事情总是不理解 |
[28:30] | – Obama – For example? – Obama. | – 例如 |
[28:32] | Another example. | 别的例子 |
[28:33] | The patriots losing to the giants. | 纽约爱国者败给新英格兰巨人 (橄榄球史上著名一战) |
[28:36] | You’re covering. | 和我说实话吧 |
[28:43] | The idea of not having you– | 一想到可能会失去你 |
[28:45] | You will never not have me. | 你绝不会失去我的 |
[28:49] | You said we were done. | 你说了 我们完了 |
[28:51] | I was angry, Denny. | 那是气话而已 Denny |
[28:53] | I’ll get by it. | 我的气会消了 |
[28:56] | Our friendship will survive an act of poor judgment. | 糊涂的决定是不会毁了我们的友谊的 |
[29:02] | – Really? – Really. | – 真的吗 – 真的 |
[29:16] | If you want to call off the bet– | 如果你不想赌了的话 |
[29:17] | I have no interest in doing that. | 我对那个不感兴趣 |
[29:18] | I plan on winning. | 我赢定了 |
[29:22] | – Double it? – Done. | – 双倍赌注 – 杀 |
[29:25] | Don’t tell. | 别和别人说了 |
[29:27] | I won’t. | 不会的 |
[29:28] | Thank you, Alan. | 谢谢你 Alan |
[29:31] | You forgive, I forget– We make a good team. | 你原谅我 而我忘记过去 我们是最佳拍档 |
[29:34] | Yes. We’re a very good team. | 没错 我们是最佳拍档 |
[29:54] | All right. | 那么 |
[29:56] | Look, when I grew up, | 我小的时候 |
[29:58] | it was relatively rare to meet a person who was adopted. | 很少能碰到过被收养的人 |
[30:02] | Today adoption is commonplace, | 今天收养很平常 |
[30:04] | as are multicultural families. | 正如跨文化家庭一样平常 |
[30:07] | Genealogy is almost considered irrelevant. | 很多人认为血氏无关紧要 |
[30:12] | But it is relevant. | 但事实上 事关紧要 |
[30:13] | People do want to know their genetic history, | 民众都希望了解其血氏的来龙去脉 |
[30:15] | whether it is for medical reasons | 无论是基于医学要求 |
[30:17] | or just, well, to feel complete | 还是基于心理满足要求 |
[30:21] | as one adopted friend recently told me. | 正如最近一个被收养过的朋友告诉我那样 |
[30:23] | I agree with Mr. Espenson. | 我同意Espenson先生的观点 |
[30:26] | We cannot allow a contract to usurp the autonomy of the child. | 我们不能任由合同束缚这些孩子 |
[30:30] | The current laws are anything but current, | 现行法毕竟是现行的 |
[30:32] | and they need to be reexamined. | 它们要被重新修订 |
[30:34] | In the meantime, I am not ordering the defendant | 同时 本席不强制被告 |
[30:38] | to tell the plaintiff the identity of his biological father. | 告知原告其血亲父亲的身份 |
[30:42] | But I am ordering you to tell him | 但本席强制要求被告告知 |
[30:44] | if he and his girlfriend | 其是否与其女友 |
[30:46] | come from the me sperm donator | 出自同一个精子捐赠人 |
[30:50] | you have my ruling. We are adjourned. | 判决已毕 结案休庭 |
[30:55] | So what happens now? | 现在怎么办 |
[30:57] | Well, we at least find out if you two are related. | 我们至少可以确定你们是否有血亲关系 |
[30:59] | How long will that take? | 要多久才知道 |
[31:01] | I would think we’d know today. | 今天就可以知道了 |
[31:03] | Good work, jerry. I’m very impressed. | 做得好 Jerry 表现很出色 |
[31:17] | It isn’t just the undue economic burden on the government, your honor, | 法官大人 政府不仅仅是背上不当的经济负担 |
[31:21] | though that alone would be crippling. | 单单那样子就令政府在财政上吃不消 |
[31:23] | But the subject s the military hospitals to discovery? | 但是到军医里进行调查 |
[31:26] | That could result in the free trade of military secrets. | 会导致军事秘密四处散布的 |
[31:29] | It could compromise military discipline. | 这样会军纪有所危害的 |
[31:33] | Representative Duncan Hunter, | 众议员Duncan Hunter |
[31:34] | a member of the house armed services committee | 是上议院海陆空三军委员会成员 |
[31:37] | and a former fighter pilot– Consider what he said– | 前战斗机驾驶员 考虑一下他的话 |
[31:40] | “the Feres Doctrine represents a reasonable approach | “费尔法例 代表一种合理的办法 |
[31:43] | “to ensuring that litigation does not interfere | “来保证诉讼不会防碍 |
[31:47] | “with the objectives and readiness our nation’s military.” | 军事活动的客观性及准备性” |
[31:51] | You know, and think of it? | 考虑一下吧 |
[31:52] | Do we really want our military personnel bogged down | 我们真的要军方在深陷于 作证与动议的泥沼之中的同时 |
[31:55] | in depositions and motions while we’re trying to fight a war? | 还要去作战吗 |
[31:59] | And finally, your honor,??? | 最后 法官大人 考虑一下这些话 |
[32:03] | Military hospitals tend to deal with high volume, | 军医要处理大量的伤员 |
[32:07] | and as Mr. Shore noted, many catastrophic wounds. | 以及正如Shore先生所说的 严重的伤势 |
[32:10] | We want these kids getting treatment. | 我们希望这些士兵得到治疗 |
[32:13] | The last thing we need | 而军医们因为害怕被控告而缩手缩脚 |
[32:15] | is for doctors to be balking out of fear of getting sued. | 这一定是我们最不想看到的情况 |
[32:18] | If you take away this immunity, | 如果您取消这项免责法例 |
[32:20] | the reality is, you’ll lose doctors, | 最终会没有医生的 |
[32:23] | and our kids won’t get the medical treatment | 而我们的士兵将无法获得医疗服务 |
[32:25] | they’ve earned and deserve. | 而那些是他们所必须和应得的 |
[32:28] | Lawyers love to sue. | 律师喜欢四处惹官司 |
[32:29] | It’s what we do. It’s how we heat our pools. | 那是我们的工作 那就是我们如何能有热水游泳池的原因 |
[32:31] | But sometimes… | 但有时 |
[32:34] | We have to put our country first. | 我们应当将国家放在首位 |
[32:36] | And failing that, | 即便不能做到这个 |
[32:38] | how about you put our troops first? | 你能不能将士兵放在首位 |
[32:48] | ah. | 呃 |
[32:50] | It’s surprising to have to explain | 很惊讶 居然得向辩方律师解释 |
[32:52] | the rudiments of our legal system to opposing counsel, | 我国司法系统常识 |
[32:55] | but I am not suing anyone. | 我没有控告任何人 |
[32:56] | My client is suing because his brother, a soldier, | 我当事人的诉因 是因为他的兄弟 一位士兵 |
[32:59] | was killed by a military hospital. | 在军医里死于非命 |
[33:02] | By the way, there are no pools being heated here. | 顺便说句 这里也没有什么游泳池等着加热 |
[33:04] | I don’t have one, and as for my client, | 我没有游泳池 而对于我的当事人来说 |
[33:07] | he should be so lucky to have a house, let alone a pool. | 如果能有一间房子 他就应该感到很高兴 都别想游泳池了 |
[33:09] | Although I’m sure he’d prefer to have his brother. | 尽管我肯定他宁愿要他兄弟活着 |
[33:12] | Private Richard canfield was in the fort Wayne military hospital | 下士Richard Canfield在 Fort Wayne军事医院里 |
[33:15] | getting basic follow-up treatment for wounds sustained in Iraq, | 接受在伊拉克受伤后的基本后续治疗 |
[33:19] | wounds he was healing from nicely. | 之前其伤势正在好转 |
[33:21] | He began to have trouble breathing due to | 他开始呼吸困难 |
[33:23] | an adverse reaction to medicine he was mistakenly given. | 原因是服用错误的药物而引起恶性反应 |
[33:25] | The doctor then inserted a breathing tube incorrectly | 随后医生将呼吸管道错误地插入其体内 |
[33:29] | and proceed apron pump air into his stomach. | 并向其胃腔注入空气 |
[33:31] | By the time they figured out their mistake 15 minutes later, | 十五分钟后 他们才意识到他们的错误 |
[33:33] | private canfield had severe brain damage. | 列兵Canfield脑部严重受伤 |
[33:36] | Three days later, he died. | 三天以后 他去世了 |
[33:37] | None of this is in dispute. | 这些都是没有争议的 |
[33:39] | Had this same malpractice happened to me or you, | 这些错误发生到你和我身上的话 |
[33:43] | our estates would receive million-dollar settlements. | 我们会得到数百万和解费 |
[33:46] | But because private canfield was a g.i., not a nickel. | 但因为列兵Canfield是士兵 所以一分钱都得不到 |
[33:50] | Apparently, we can all live with that. | 很明显我们都能接受这个事实 |
[33:52] | This Feres Doctrine is as unfair as it is patently ludicrous. | 费尔法例明显看是不公平的 |
[33:58] | There is no danger of revealing military secrets. | 没有危及到军事秘密 |
[34:01] | Discovery would only go to medical records. | 只是审查医疗记录而已 |
[34:04] | And frankly, I am mystified | 老实说 我想不通 |
[34:05] | as to how this could possibly affect military discipline. | 为什么这样子会影响军纪呢 |
[34:09] | Would the troops suddenly stop saluting | 是士兵会突然不敬礼了 |
[34:11] | or begin marching in crooked lines? | 还是不能直着正步走了呢 |
[34:14] | And as for the supposed burden on the government, | 而说到政府的负担的话 |
[34:17] | you’ve gotta be kidding me. | 你不是在和我开玩笑吧 |
[34:19] | What about private canfield’s horrific ordeal? | 下士Canfield的悲惨经历怎么办呢 |
[34:22] | Not to mention the obvious fact | 更别说这个一清二楚的事实 |
[34:24] | that while our government will undoubtedly survive, | 政府还能继续存活下去 |
[34:26] | private canfield did not. | 而下士Canfield却不然 |
[34:32] | I would say to you, your honor, | 法官大人 我想对你说 |
[34:34] | these are our kids who are dying. | 奄奄一息的这些人都是我们的孩子 |
[34:36] | But it’s not really our kids, is it? | 但他们并不是亲生的而已 对吧 |
[34:40] | Not for the most part. | 在极大程度上都不是 |
[34:42] | It’s the poor people’s kids. | 他们是穷人的孩子 |
[34:44] | And the dirty little secret, | 而这里面不见得光的小秘密则是 |
[34:46] | some might say windfall, | 一些人说 |
[34:47] | of our record poverty and disparity of wealth | 我们这前所未有的贫困度和贫富悬殊 所带来的好处是 |
[34:50] | is that we’ve got plenty of poor people with kids to fight our wars. | 我们能有大量的穷苦的孩子去支持我们打仗 |
[34:52] | I’m sorry, but I’m offended by that. | 很抱歉 但我被你的话惹怒了 |
[34:54] | Are you, really? | 是吗 真的 |
[34:55] | How about a republican presidential candidate | 如果共和党的总统候选人 |
[34:57] | who opposes educational benefits for g.i.s | 反对士兵教育 |
[34:59] | so as not to encourage troops to leave the military? | 以免士兵离开军队呢 |
[35:02] | Keep their options limited. Does that offend you? | 让他们的选择受到限制 那些所作所为惹怒了你吗 |
[35:04] | How about all the war profiteering by the rich? | 富人发了战争的横财呢 |
[35:06] | How about the fact | 而以下事实呢 |
[35:07] | that while an army sergeant gets an annual salary of $70,000, | 所有的陆军军官年薪七万 |
[35:11] | private security guards hired by Blackwater and DynCorp | 而被Blackwater和 Dyncorp雇佣的私人保安 |
[35:14] | get $400,000 to $500,000, | 只得到四万到五万的年薪呢 |
[35:16] | does that offend you? | 那些惹怒了你吗 |
[35:17] | All kinds of wonderful, lucrative deals can happen in war, | 战争之中各种绝互惠互利 有利可图的交易无奇不有 |
[35:21] | but for the g.i.s, we’ve got the Feres Doctrine, | 但对美国大兵来说 我们有费尔法例这个挡箭牌 |
[35:23] | which means when a g.i. Is killed by hospital negligence | 士兵死于军医误诊 |
[35:26] | or even deliberately by a doctor, not a nickel. | 甚至是医生谋杀 他们的命却一文不值 |
[35:29] | How can this not shock our national conscience? | 如此不公怎能不震撼国人良心呢 |
[35:33] | The media gives it little if any shrift. | 媒体基本上对此觉得没什么可忏悔的 |
[35:35] | Mr. Mathis clearly doesn’t care. | Mathis先生显然漠不关心 |
[35:36] | And me? Hell, I even placed a bet on the case. | 我呢 我甚至下注赌这场官司 |
[35:44] | How can it be that we don’t… Much care? | 我们怎么会不关心呢 |
[35:51] | Maybe because it’s not our kids who are dying. | 也许死的不是我们自己的孩子 |
[35:55] | It’s the poor people’s. | 而是穷人的 |
[36:15] | Yes. Yes, that’s fine. I’ll wait. | 好 好 好的 我会等的 |
[36:17] | I’m on hold. | 他们让我等着 |
[36:20] | They have the answer? | 他们有结果了吗 |
[36:21] | It seems so. | 似乎是 |
[36:25] | It’s going to be fine. | 一切都会没事儿的 |
[36:28] | I read a study. | 我看过一份研究 |
[36:29] | People are attracted to other people who look like them. | 人们会被长相相似的人所吸引 |
[36:33] | It’s not unusual for us to resemble each other. | 我们两个长得像也很正常 |
[36:36] | Yes. Thank you. | 是的 谢谢 |
[36:40] | Well? | 答案是 |
[36:50] | You have the same sperm donor. | 你们的精子捐赠人是同一个人 |
[37:00] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[37:02] | This isn’t fair. | 怎么会呢 |
[37:09] | I’m so sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[37:34] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[37:38] | Be seated. | 请坐 |
[37:47] | I’m allowing the plaintiff’s case to stand. | 本席同意原告立案 |
[37:50] | Your honor, the precedent set by the Feres Doctrine– | 法官大人 费尔法例一案所立先例 |
[37:53] | The Feres Doctrine is no longer applicable in today’s world. | 费尔法例一案 在当今社会已不适用了 |
[37:56] | Well, in that case, the remedy is the legislature. | 如果是那样子的话 诉求方应为立法机构 |
[37:58] | I disagree, counselor. | 辩方律师 我不同意 |
[38:00] | This doctrine unfairly victimizes the poor. | 此法例不公地牺牲了穷人的利益 |
[38:03] | There are far more rich people registered to vote than poor people. | 相对于穷人 有更多的富人登记投票 |
[38:07] | This will never get fixed by an electable legislature, never. | 这是被公举出的立法机构绝对没法解决的 |
[38:11] | – Your honor– – I’m allowing the case to stand. | – 法官大人 – 本席允许案件成立 |
[38:14] | We are adjourned. | 结案休庭 |
[38:18] | Well… | 那么 |
[38:20] | What does this mean? | 什么意思 |
[38:21] | It means for now, you still get to sue. | 意思是 目前为止 我们可以诉讼了 |
[38:23] | Hopefully we can settle it quickly. | 希望我们能尽快能和被告和解 |
[38:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[38:26] | I’ll schedule a meeting with opposing counsel, | 我会和辩方律师举行一次会议 |
[38:28] | and we’ll see where it goes. | 然后看情况 |
[38:29] | I’ll let you know. | 我会通知你的 |
[38:35] | Shirley, I apologize again for any embarrassment that– | Shirley 我再次为我的不当而道歉 |
[38:43] | Okay. | 好吗 |
[38:52] | She’ll forgive us. | 她会原谅我们的 |
[38:55] | It sounds like she’s already halfway there. | 看来她快原谅我们了 |
[38:57] | What makes you say that? | 有什么证据使你这么肯定 |
[38:59] | Well, Shirley has no trouble expressing her displeasure. | Shirley绝对不会掩饰她的不快 |
[39:03] | But when she says nothing or walks away in silence, | 但当她保持沉默或者一言不发地走开 |
[39:07] | it’s like she’s saying, | 就证明 |
[39:08] | “I’m still angry, but I’ll forgive you.” | “我依然生气 但我会原谅你的” |
[39:17] | Will you… | 你会 |
[39:18] | Really forgive me? | 真的原谅我吗 |
[39:20] | I did already. | 早就原谅了啊 |
[39:27] | I can’t believe | 难以置信 |
[39:30] | I actually said that to the clerk. | 我真的对法官助手说了 |
[39:32] | Promise me something– | 答应我 |
[39:34] | When I do something crazy, you’ll tell me. | 当我做错事的时候 你会告诉我的 |
[39:38] | Okay, let’s start with doubling the bet. | 好 我们从双倍赌资开始吧 |
[39:42] | Oh, right. Yeah. | 好 |
[39:48] | At least tell me it’s going to a good cause, like a hooker. | 至少告诉我这钱的一个合理的用途 例如嫖妓 |
[39:51] | It’s going to the troops. Remember? | 会捐给军队 记得吗 |
[39:53] | Oh, right, yes. I feel better now. | 哦 对 我感觉好多了 |
[40:01] | You okay, Denny? | 你还好吗 Denny |
[40:04] | Oh, yeah. | 当然 |
[40:08] | You really yelled at me. | 你吼我了 |
[40:10] | I just lost my temper. | 我生气而已 |
[40:13] | I’m over it. | 我的气消了 |
[40:18] | You know what’s long overdue? | 你知道我们早该干什么吗 |
[40:20] | You and me on a road trip. | 你和我一起去旅游 |
[40:22] | A road trip. | 旅游 |
[40:24] | Maybe we should go to Rome, | 我们去罗马 |
[40:26] | or the balcony on the other side of the building. | 或者去另一栋楼的阳台 |
[40:28] | Yeah, I’ve got it. A dude ranch. | 哦 我想倒了 哥们儿农场 |
[40:31] | A dude ranch? | 哥们儿农场 |
[40:33] | It’s horses and–and sheep and fresh air and… | 万马齐喑 绵羊成群 新鲜空气无孔不入 |
[40:38] | Sheep. | 绵羊 |
[40:40] | Let’s go west, to the wild west. | 我们去西部吧 去狂野的西部 |
[40:43] | I don’t really like horses. | 我不喜欢马 |
[40:45] | How can you not like horses? | 你怎么会不喜欢马 |
[40:47] | ??? | 哥们儿农场 |
[40:48] | You just leave it to me. | 交给我办好了 |
[40:49] | I’ll make all the arrangements. | 我来安排 |
[40:51] | We’ll have campfires and marshmallows and tents | 营火 棉花糖 帐篷 |
[40:54] | and… Sheep. | 还有绵羊 |
[40:56] | Me and you and… | 我和你 还有 |
[40:58] | Fresh air would do us both good. | 呼吸新鲜空气对我们都有好处 |
[41:01] | That is what we need. | 那就是我们所需要的 |
[41:10] | Thank you… | 谢谢 |
[41:14] | For being… | 因为 |
[41:18] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:20] | I don’t think you’re slipping, Denny. | 我不觉得你衰退了 Denny |
[41:25] | I really don’t. | 我真的不觉得 |
[41:30] | Okay. | 好吧 |