时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on Boston Legal… | |
[00:02] | I have an 80% chance of getting Alzheimer’s. | 我有80%的机率患阿尔茨海默氏症 |
[00:04] | It’s not like I’ll remember it. Mad Cow! | 谁知道呢 疯牛病! |
[00:07] | I have Weak Stream Syndrome. | 我得了”尿流无力症” |
[00:08] | Irritable bowels. | 一碰就炸 |
[00:11] | Denny Crane. | |
[00:12] | – Marlena – Grammy! – Marlene… | – 奶奶 |
[00:14] | I am in big trouble, Grammy. I need your help. | 我有大麻烦了 奶奶 我需要你的帮助 |
[00:17] | Melvin Palmer. How are you? | Melvin Palmer 你好吗 |
[00:19] | Atta boy. You’re still a hoot, that’s what you are. | 孩子 你还是那么傻冒 本色不变啊 |
[00:21] | Hell, I get paid, win or lose. | 哈 我输赢都有钱赚 |
[00:23] | No reason this can’t be a “win/win.” | 没理由这案子不能双赢啊 |
[00:25] | I just made more money… that’s what I did. | 我刚又赚钱了 我无所谓 |
[00:36] | How is it she ended up at a Pennsylvania prison? | 她怎么最后会到宾州监狱呢 |
[00:38] | Well, it’s a private facility… | 嗯 那是个私人机构 |
[00:40] | one that we signed off on because it provided drug counseling. | 我们会签署同意 因为他们提供毒品勒戒 |
[00:43] | Was she an addict? | 她是瘾君子吗 |
[00:44] | I don’t think she’s an addict, | 我倒不觉得她瘾君子 |
[00:45] | but cocaine possession at 15… it’s not an encouraging sign. | 不过15岁就藏有可卡因 这可不是一个好现象 |
[00:49] | Anyway, the facility claimed that | 反正 那个机构声称 |
[00:51] | all of their guards had degrees in juvenile justice, child psychology. | 他们全部的警卫都有少年司法和 儿童心理学的大学文凭 |
[00:55] | The guard who raped her didn’t even have a high school diploma! | 那个强奸她的警卫 连高中毕业都没有 |
[00:58] | – Okay. – I don’t understand | – 好吧 – 我不明白 |
[01:00] | why they’re not anxious to settle. | 他们为什么不急着和解 |
[01:01] | I mean, what could their defense possibly be? | 辩护还能耍出什么花儿呢 |
[01:03] | Well, prisons, private or otherwise, aren’t held strictly liable. | 嗯 如果是监狱的话 不管私人的 还是其它的 都没有”严格责任” |
[01:06] | We’d have to show negligence. | 除非能证明他们有疏忽 |
[01:08] | Which basically means we’d have to prove | 意思就是 我们必须证明他们 |
[01:09] | they failed to exercise a reasonable standard of care, using industry standards. | 没有实行”合理照顾标准” 用整个行业的标准衡量 |
[01:14] | My feeling is that they will settle, | 我的感觉是 他们会和解的 |
[01:16] | but only after the necessary amount of posturing. | 不过肯定是对方服软之后 |
[01:18] | Sorry I’m late. I took Sorrow instead of surface. | 不好意思我来晚了 我走错路了 |
[01:21] | Jerry, my man! How are you, my friend? Big hug. Ooohhh! | Jerry 我的老夥计 怎么样啊 我的朋友 来 大大的拥抱 |
[01:25] | I run on hugs… that’s what I do. Melvin Palmer. Wow! | 哦! 要是有人抱我 我一定跑 在下Melvin Palmer 哇 |
[01:28] | You are a fetching young lass, that’s what you are. | 你是个迷人的女孩啊 绝对的 |
[01:30] | Am I right, Jerry? Two pops for yes. | 我说的对不对Jerry? 砰两声 就当你说”对”了 |
[01:33] | Atta boy. So, what’ve we got? | 乖孩子 这里是什么情况 |
[01:35] | You must be the father of the girl. Tell ya what… | 你一定是那个女孩的父亲 你知道么 |
[01:37] | let’s fast-forward past the point where you tell me this is a terrible thing. | 就让我们把你和我说什么”这是一件 很悲惨的事”之类的那段话快进掉吧 |
[01:41] | No need. See? Unlike the average GOP fundraiser, | 没那个必要 跟平常的共和党筹款人不同 |
[01:44] | I don’t think there’s anything fun about a rape. | 我没觉得强奸这件事哪里好玩 |
[01:47] | Hey, how’s my buddy, Al… that big hoot? | 嘿 我的老夥计怎么样了 傻冒儿Alan |
[01:50] | What I’m gonna do is make you two offers. One’s great; the other, better. | 我将要给你两个提议 一个很好 另一个更好 |
[01:54] | Here’s the number; it’ll make your eyes pop. | 这里有个数字 将会让你的眼珠跳出来 |
[01:57] | Now, I’ve got another number here in my briefcase, | 嗯 我这个箱子里有另外那个数字 |
[01:59] | either bigger or smaller than that one. | 比那个要不然高一点 要不然低一点 |
[02:01] | You tell me what you wanna do. | 你告诉我 你想要干什么 |
[02:03] | Ya like what cha see here? Just say, “Deal.” | 你喜欢你看见的这个 就说”成交” |
[02:05] | If you don’t like it, I open the briefcase, and you get the other number. | 如果你不喜欢 我把箱子打开 你会得到另一个数字 |
[02:08] | So, what’s it gonna be, Big Daddy? | 所以你想怎么样 老兄? |
[02:10] | My God! His daughter was raped! You’ve turned it into a game show! | 天啊 他的女儿被强奸了 你把这弄的好像是综艺节目一样 |
[02:13] | Life is nothing but a sweepstakes… that’s what I say. | 人生如赌局啊 绝对的 |
[02:15] | I tell you. I’m gonna let you open the briefcase, | 你知道么 我要让你来把这个箱子打开 |
[02:18] | Because you’re fetching… that’s what you are. You just hold it up like so. | 因为你很迷人 绝对的 把这个箱子就这么拿起来 |
[02:21] | God, it’s good to see you! One pop, for old time’s sake. | 唉 夥计们 来一声砰啊 |
[02:24] | Hey, I’ll take a stomp instead. So, what’s it gonna be, Dad? | 跺一脚也可以 所以 你的决定如何 老兄 |
[02:28] | Deal or no deal? | 成交 还是不成交? (引自美国著名综艺节目”成交不成交”) |
[02:32] | Boston Legal S05 ep02 | |
[03:06] | Hi, Grammy! | 嗨 奶奶 |
[03:08] | Oh, God. What have you done now? | 哦 天啊 你又做了什么 |
[03:10] | Nice. That’s how you greet your granddaughter? | 不错啊 这是你问侯孙女的方式么 |
[03:12] | Sorry, sweetheart. How’re you doing? | 对不起 甜心 你好不好啊 |
[03:14] | Oh, I got arrested. | 哦 我被逮捕了 |
[03:17] | Just tell me it’s not a felony. | 就告诉我不是重罪就好了 |
[03:18] | Oh, I committed the utmost act of patriotism. | 哦 我表现了至高无上的爱国主义精神 |
[03:20] | So, it is a felony. | 意思就是 确实是重罪 |
[03:22] | It seems that, because I care about the future of our country, | 看起来好像是 就因为我关心我们国家的未来 |
[03:24] | because I care that the National Debt is 9.4 trillion, | 就因为我关心 我们国家的外债有9万4千亿美元 |
[03:28] | because I care that 47 million Americans are without health insurance… | 就因为我关心 4700万美国人没有医疗保险 |
[03:32] | Just tell me what you did. | 就直接告诉我你做了什么吧 |
[03:34] | I voted in the primary. | 我在初选投票了 |
[03:37] | You’re 17. | 你只有17岁啊 |
[03:38] | Oh. Yes. I’m 17; I shouldn’t get a voice. | 哦 是啊 我只有17岁 我就不应该发声 |
[03:41] | Meanwhile, Toothless-in-Podunk who can’t even read a ballot | 同时 那些连读选票都不会的 牙都掉光了的南方土著 |
[03:43] | gets to decide a swing state… that makes total sense. | 可以决定一个”摇摆州” 真是太合理了 |
[03:46] | Oh, hey! It’s the old guy! | 哦 看看 老男人来啦 |
[03:47] | Oh, Carl. Do you think you could help me with my granddaughter, Marlene? | Carl 你觉得能帮帮我的孙女Marlena么 |
[03:50] | It seems she voted in the primary. | 她好像在候选人初选里投票了 |
[03:52] | Well, well, well, well, well. Yum. | 看看 看看 看看 好吃 |
[03:55] | Okay. Serious sick. | 好吧 真的很恶心 |
[03:57] | Denny, you remember my granddaughter, Marlene. | Denny 你记得我的孙女 Marlena吧 |
[04:00] | Doha. Clearly, you’re as hot as granny… are you as nasty? | 哦 显而易见 你跟你的奶奶一样辣 你跟她一样下流么 |
[04:08] | Very funny, Denny! | 很好笑啊 Denny |
[04:10] | Okay, you can get up now. No, stay down. | 好吧 你可以起来了 别 就在那躺着吧 |
[04:13] | Denny. | |
[04:16] | Oh, he’s faking. | 他装的啦 |
[04:20] | Denny? – Denny? – He’s not breathing. | 他没有呼吸了 |
[04:23] | Denny? | |
[04:26] | – He’s not breathing. – Call 9-1-1! | 他没有呼吸 – 打911 |
[04:28] | Denny, if this is a joke… | Denny 如果这是个玩笑… |
[04:32] | Denny! | Denny! |
[04:35] | Denny! | Denny! |
[04:44] | I’m fine! | 我没事 |
[04:45] | You’re going to the hospital. | 你必须去医院 |
[04:46] | I just fainted; that’s all. | 我只是晕过去了而已啊 |
[04:47] | Denny, you stopped breathing! We had to give you mouth-to-mouth. | Denny你连呼吸都没有了 我们得给你人工呼吸 |
[04:50] | Denny Crane: Who gave it to me? Shirley? | 谁帮我的 Shirley吗 |
[04:52] | Me. | 我 |
[04:54] | Oh, God! Take me to the hospital. | 天啊 送我去医院吧 |
[04:55] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[04:58] | I’m coming with you. | 我跟你一起去 |
[04:59] | Just don’t kiss me. | 别亲我就可以了 |
[05:06] | Two twenty-five seems a little low for a rape. | 22万5对于强奸来说好像有点低啊 |
[05:09] | You know what? There is no amount of money that would be enough. | 你知道么 永远都没有一个数字是够的 |
[05:12] | A fifteen-year-old girl? A million seems low… am I right, Jerry? | 一个15岁的女孩 呵 一百万都嫌少啊 我说的对不对 Jerry |
[05:16] | Gee, I’m not sure, Mel. Why don’t cha offer a mil? I’ll let cha know. | 不知道 除非你提议要给一百万 我会让你知道我的想法的 |
[05:19] | You’re a chip off the old hoot block… that’s what you are. | 你就是个大傻冒 绝对的 |
[05:22] | You see, Mr. Addario, | 你知道么 Adario先生 |
[05:23] | I have to evaluate cases using your more objective jury verdict research. | 我必须以那些所谓更客观的 陪审团裁决的研究来评估案件 |
[05:27] | Comes down to tables, statistics, numbers. | 总的来说 也就是一些统计和数字 |
[05:30] | Ask me, it’s offensive to quantify something like a rape with money values, | 如果问我的意见 用金钱量化一个强奸之类的案件 是很无礼的 |
[05:34] | but that’s the way the law works. | 但 法律就是这样的 |
[05:36] | My computation values this case around 1.5. | 以我的估算 这个案件的价值在1百50万左右 |
[05:38] | Hell, you must have one of those plaintiff’s calculators… | 哦 你用的肯定是那种原告专用计算器 |
[05:41] | that’s what you must have! | 绝对的 |
[05:42] | Maybe we should just… spin the wheel. | 认真点吧 别废话了 |
[05:44] | The thing is, when I factor in all the variables here… | 但事情是 当我把所有变数都算在里面的时候 |
[05:48] | which I would be required to do, you see, as defendant’s counsel… | 我也必须这么做 你知道 我是辩方律师嘛 |
[05:51] | 225 would be the number. All payable today, by the way. | 22万5就是最后数字了 顺便说一句 今天就可以付清啊 |
[05:55] | Exactly what variables do you mean? | 你说的”变数”到底指什么 |
[05:57] | Well, do I really need to say it? | 我真的必须要说么 |
[06:00] | Afraid you do. | 恐怕是的 |
[06:02] | Okay. Obviously, Ms. Addario was quite traumatized by all this. | 好吧 很显然 Adario小姐因为这受了很大的伤害 |
[06:05] | Hell, I’ve never even met her, | 我市从来没有见过她 |
[06:06] | but my suspicion is settlement conferences and the like | 但我猜 和解谈判和聚光灯 |
[06:10] | would bring back a trauma that she would just as soon forget… am I right? | 会让她想起那些 她一定很想忘记的伤害 是吧 |
[06:13] | Nobody here wants to put her through the ordeal of a trial. | 这里没人会想让她经历一次审讯的 |
[06:17] | You know the questions I would be obligated to ask. | 我的职责所在 你都知道我会问什么了 |
[06:20] | How she found her assailant attractive. How she flirted with him. | 她是怎么迷上攻击她的人的 她怎么跟他调情的 |
[06:23] | How she perhaps stoked the passions that ultimately overtook his free will. | 然后没准她怎么把他迷的团团转 压倒了狱警的自我意愿的 |
[06:29] | There is no way in hell | 世界上没有这种事 |
[06:31] | a loving father would ever subject her to all the ugliness that goes with a trial, | 一位爱她的父亲 会让她经历审讯所带来的一切丑陋 |
[06:36] | and, see, without her testimony, | 而且 如果没有她的证词 |
[06:39] | you’d have a hard time getting any judgment… that’s what I know. | 你要得到任何判决都有 很大的困难啊 就我所知 |
[06:42] | And, knowing that, the number is 225. | 所有这些的情况下 数字就是22万5 |
[06:48] | You’re disgusting. | 你很恶心 |
[06:51] | You know, Missy, | 你知道么 小姐 |
[06:54] | I get that a lot. | 我经常被人这么说 |
[06:57] | I’m actually okay with it, which is something you might consider. | 事实上 我没什么关系 但你可能需要把这个纳入你的考虑 |
[07:03] | I mean, who wants to subject that poor girl | 谁会想要把那个可怜的女孩 |
[07:06] | to a disgusting lawyer who’s willing to tear her up, | 放到一个恶心的律师的手上 而这个律师已经准备好了 |
[07:10] | and do… perhaps… irreparable psychological damage. | 要把她撕得粉碎 制造一些无法修复的心理创伤 |
[07:17] | I certainly don’t want that. Do you? | 我肯定不想要这个发生的 你想要吗 |
[07:25] | What do you mean, she voted? | 你是什么意思 她投票了 |
[07:27] | She falsified her birth year, registered, and voted in the Democratic primary, | 她把她的出生年造假 在民主党初选里注册且投票了 |
[07:31] | and if we hadn’t caught her, she would be voting in the general election. | 我们没发现的话 她也会在国家选举时投票 |
[07:34] | Why don’t we prosecute the lazy asses who don’t vote? | 为什么你们不起诉 那些不投票的懒虫们 |
[07:37] | Maybe charge them with dereliction of civic duty? There’s an idea. | 可能可以指控他们藐视国民义务 这是个主意 |
[07:40] | Young lady! You will speak when spoken to. | 年轻的小姐 有人跟你说话时 你再说话 |
[07:43] | Your Honor, could we just plea this out? | 法官大人 我们可不可以认罪然后就好了 |
[07:44] | Give her a fine, slap her with some community service, and we can all go home. | 罚点钱 再给她一点社区服务令 我们大家都可以回家了 |
[07:48] | What kind of lawyer doing is that? | 这是什么律师行为 |
[07:49] | It’s not just that she voted, Judge. | 她不只是投票了这么简单 大人 |
[07:51] | She has a YouTube posting where she encourages other minors to vote, | 她还在Youtube上发了视频 鼓励其他未成年人投票 |
[07:54] | and offers instructions on how to falsify registration forms. | 还提供如何在注册表上造假的教程 |
[07:58] | – One year in jail! – What? | – 入狱1年 – 什么? |
[08:00] | Whoa! Now, I admittedly haven’t read all of the… the Patriot Act, | 哇 大人 我肯定没读过 所有的爱国者法案条款 |
[08:04] | but I’m pretty sure that you can’t find somebody guilty without a trial. | 但我肯定 你不能没有审讯 就判定某人有罪的 |
[08:11] | I could be wrong. | 我没准是错的呀 |
[08:20] | Toxic shock? | 中毒性休克? |
[08:22] | Your blood tests show a lot of drugs in your system. | 你的血液报告里面显示 你的体内有很多药物 |
[08:23] | How many medications are you on? | 你现在在吃多少种药? |
[08:25] | I don’t know. Thirty, forty. | 不知道 30? 40? |
[08:26] | – 30 40? – What? – Thirty or forty? | – 什么 |
[08:27] | – My God! – Is that a lot? | – 天啊 – 很多么 |
[08:30] | Why are you taking them? | 为什么吃这么多? |
[08:31] | I don’t know. You name it, uh… | 不知道 你就说吧 |
[08:34] | acid reflux, weak stream, | 反酸 尿流速变慢 |
[08:36] | restless leg, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel, uh, | 多动腿 痔疮 肠胃紊乱 |
[08:40] | memory, cholesterol, blood pressure. | 记忆力 胆固醇 高血压 |
[08:42] | Hey, whoa, whoa, whoa. These drugs can interact. | 哇 哇 这些药物可能互相干扰的 |
[08:45] | No; I keep them in separate bottles. | 不会 我把它们放在不同的瓶子里 |
[08:48] | Do they make one for common sense? | 你们有治”常识”的药么 |
[08:50] | Where the hell are you getting your medical advice? | 你是从哪里得到这些医嘱的 |
[08:52] | – Television. | – 电视 – 电视 – Television. |
[08:54] | For God’s sake, Denny! | 看在老天的面上 Denny |
[08:55] | What? They wouldn’t advertise it if it wasn’t safe. | 怎么了? 如果不安全的话 也不能上电视广告呀 |
[08:57] | Mr. Crane, you very nearly died. | Crane先生 你差点就死了 |
[09:01] | You’re lucky you didn’t die. | 你很幸运没有死 |
[09:05] | Really? Whoops. | 真的吗 哎呀 |
[09:26] | After my mother died, I started … using. | 我母亲死了之后 我就开始使用… |
[09:30] | I don’t know if I was addicted, but… | 我不知道我上没上瘾 但… |
[09:32] | You were arrested and convicted for possession of cocaine? | 你因为藏可卡因被捕且定罪了 是吗 |
[09:36] | Yes. I was given two choices: Go to a juvenile detention facility | 是 我被给予两种选择 去一个少年惩戒所 |
[09:41] | or choose the private route which promised treatment… which we opted for. | 或选择一个私人戒毒所 保证可以提供治疗 后者是我们选择的 |
[09:44] | What happened at that facility? | 在那个机构 发生了什么事 |
[09:49] | I was raped by a guard. | 我被一个狱警强奸了 |
[09:51] | Lauren, I know this is difficult, and… | Laren 我知道这很难 但… |
[09:54] | Have you ever been raped, Miss Lloyd? | 你被强奸过么 Loyd小姐 |
[09:57] | No. | 没有 |
[09:57] | Then, please don’t tell me you know. | 那就别告诉我说你知道 |
[10:01] | Okay. Can you try to help me… | 好吧 你能不能对我… |
[10:04] | I should say, the jury… understand what happened that day? | 应该说是对陪审团 说清楚那天发生的情况吗? |
[10:12] | A guard… who was not a trained professional, | 一个守卫 他没有经过训练 |
[10:17] | but instead a “paid by the hour” employee… | 也不是正式的员工 而是一个小时工 |
[10:22] | came into my cell, | 进了我的牢房 |
[10:27] | pinned me down by my neck, | 卡住我的脖子 把我按倒 |
[10:30] | pulled my pants down … | 扒下我的裤子 |
[10:37] | Was there anyone else around? | 当时附近有人吗? |
[10:41] | No. | 没有 |
[10:43] | The others were at recreation outside somewhere. | 他们都去放风了 |
[10:46] | I was held in for disciplinary infraction. | 我因为违纪而不被允许走出牢房 |
[10:49] | I won’t pretend to know or even imagine the horror of… | 我不会假装我能明白这种恐惧 我甚至无法去想象 |
[10:55] | May I ask: Did you know this guard? | 我可以问一下 你认识这个守卫吗? |
[11:00] | I knew him. | 我认识他 |
[11:00] | In fact, you had a rather close friendship with him, didn’t you? | 事实上 你和他的关系相当亲密 是吗? |
[11:04] | Obviously I didn’t see him as the monster that he was. | 很明显 我当时没有意识到 他是如此这般的一个禽兽 |
[11:07] | I understand. | 我知道了 |
[11:10] | Had you ever kissed him before this incident? | 在这次意外发生之前 你亲过他吗? |
[11:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:16] | In fact, the day he came into your cell, you two kissed… | 事实上 那天他进了你的牢房 你们两个人还接吻了 |
[11:21] | consensually. Am I right? | 你情我愿的 对吗? |
[11:23] | I never consented to be raped. | 我从来没有允许过被强奸 |
[11:25] | Of course not. | 当然没有了 |
[11:27] | You said you were held inside for a disciplinary infraction. | 你说你因为违纪而不被允许走出牢房 |
[11:31] | What was that disciplinary infraction? | 是什么原因呢? |
[11:33] | I went into an area where I was not supposed to be. | 我去了我不被允许去的地方 |
[11:36] | You snuck off to rendezvous with this part-time guard. | 你偷偷的去见这个临时守卫 |
[11:43] | One last question: During this attack, | 最后一个问题 |
[11:48] | did you scream? | 在这次”攻击”的时候 你叫喊了吗? |
[11:51] | He said if I made a sound, he’d kill me. | 他说如果我敢出声 他就杀了我 |
[11:54] | So you never cried out for help. | 所以你从来都没有大声呼救? |
[12:03] | Nothing further. | 我没有问题了 |
[12:11] | Sue the drug company? | 告药物公司? |
[12:12] | They almost killed me! You heard the doctor. | 他们差点儿害死我了 你也听到医生这么说了 |
[12:14] | Even so. | 即便如此… |
[12:15] | How ‘bout I sue the one that markets 16 of the 42 prescriptions I was taking? | 那要不去告那家营销我所服用的 42种药物中16种的那家公司? |
[12:19] | Denny, the question would be: How could they predict you’d eat them like jelly beans? | 那么问题就成了 他们怎么能估计到 你像吃水果糖一样吃那些药呢 |
[12:23] | Alan, have you seen the television ads? | Alan 你看过那些电视广告吗 |
[12:25] | Alan Shore: Yes, I’ve seen them. | 是的 我看过 |
[12:26] | They list out the side effects like they’re reading the telephone book, | 他们把那些副作用列得像电话簿一样 |
[12:29] | but the benefits get all the bells and whistles. | 另一方面则拼命宣传药效 |
[12:32] | They nearly killed me. I wanna sue. | 他们差点儿害死我了 我要告他们 |
[12:37] | Let’s get them. | 搞死他们吧 |
[12:43] | But you can’t deny that you broke the law here. | 你不能否认你这样是违反了法律 |
[12:46] | Civil disobedience. Pure and simple. | 这仅仅是单纯的温和抵抗 |
[12:48] | It’s what started this country and one might look at me as a hero. | 这也是我们的立国基础 或许人们会把我视为英雄 |
[12:50] | Or one might look at you as a person who committed a crime, | 又或者人们会把你视为一个罪犯 |
[12:55] | punishable by up to 5 years in jail. | 对此可以处以最多五年的监禁 |
[12:58] | Ohhh, so I can’t vote, but for the purpose of locking me up, | 那么 我无权投票 不过为了要把我关起来 |
[13:01] | suddenly I’m an adult. Isn’t that convenient? | 突然我又是个成年人了 哪有这么便宜的事儿呀 |
[13:04] | How fair is it for me to be excluded from the democratic process | 这样公平吗 对此民主程序 我被拒之门外 |
[13:07] | when we make no such exclusion for drug addicts, the mentally handicapped, | 而却不对瘾君子 弱智 以及那些不小心 |
[13:10] | or senior Floridians who “accidentally” voted for Buchanan? | 把票投给Buchanan的佛罗里达老家伙有任何限制 (Pat Buchanan 政治家 于佛罗里达发家) |
[13:14] | Do you think that you understand the complexities of, uh, | 你认为你理解移民问题 |
[13:17] | immigration, the economic recession, the Middle East balance of power, that the…? | 经济萧条 中东权利制衡的复杂性吗? |
[13:20] | Oh, I think I understand it some. Do you think most American voters do? | 我觉得我有些理解 你认为大部分的美国投票人都知道吗? |
[13:24] | Aren’t you sick of people not voting for a candidate because, hey, | 你对某些不给候选人投票的理由感到厌恶吗 |
[13:27] | they don’t think that they could have a beer with him, or he’s a lousy bowler, | 就因为他看起来不是那么平易近人 或者他的保龄球打得不行 |
[13:30] | or her pantsuits aren’t flattering? | 又或者他的裤装看起来不怎么样 |
[13:32] | – I am a lot more informed than… – Maybe you’re an exception. | – 我所知道的多得多了 – 或许你是一个特例 |
[13:35] | – Most 17-year-olds are… – Are what? | – 而大多数17岁的 – 怎么 |
[13:37] | How do you finish that sentence without some little nugget of ageism? | 你打算怎么不带无聊的年龄歧视地 结束那个句子 |
[13:40] | I mean, I’m old enough to be a parent. I’m old enough to get an abortion… | 我年龄大得都可以生小孩儿 也可以去流产了 |
[13:44] | and that is a decision far more complicated and difficult | 做出这些决定这些可比因为候选人的党派 |
[13:47] | than making a check on a ballot box based solely on | 而在他名字前面打个勾复杂困难多了 |
[13:49] | whether there’s a D or an R next to a candidate’s name, which is what most people do. | 而这恰恰是大部分人作决定的依据 |
[13:54] | I mean, you wanna give me a test? | 我是说 如果我要参加什么考试 |
[13:55] | Make me take a class, make me earn my right to vote? Fine. | 或者培训班 才能获得投票权 |
[13:58] | I’ll do it. | 没问题 我会做的 |
[13:59] | But don’t just say No way” because I’m 17. | 可是别仅仅因为我才17岁就拒绝我 |
[14:02] | Joan of Arc led an army at 17, and I’m cuter. Way. | 圣女贞德17岁的时候就已经领军了 我还比她可爱 我可以的 |
[14:15] | Katie Lloyd: What’s really nauseating is he’s good. | 最讨厌的是 他很厉害 |
[14:17] | The jury seem to be with him. | 陪审团看起来站在他一边 |
[14:19] | He’s very good, but we’ll get him. | 他非常厉害 可是我们会搞定他的 |
[14:20] | Wait ‘til I get that defendant on the stand. He’s muffin. | 等到我们询问被告的时候 他就废了 |
[14:24] | Jerry Espenson: I mean, toast. | 我是说 糟了 |
[14:25] | You seem to be more confident lately. | 你最近看起来更有信心了呀 |
[14:27] | You… you merely twiddle the wooden cigarette instead of sucking it; | 你只是把玩你的假烟 而不需要把它叼在嘴上了 |
[14:31] | and in court, your hands are in your pockets instead of on your thighs; and… | 在法庭上 你的手也放在口袋里 而不是你的大腿上了 |
[14:33] | and your clothes… you’re dressing more … upscale. | 而你穿衣的方式 也提高了 |
[14:36] | New therapist. New Jerry. | 新的心理医生 新的Jerry |
[14:39] | You’re not gonna leave the old Jerry completely behind, are you? | 你不会和以前的你完全断绝关系吧 |
[14:41] | No. | 不 |
[14:43] | You really think you can get the defendant ? | 你真的认为你能搞定被告吗? |
[14:46] | New Jerry in town. He’s bagel. Toast. | 新的Jerry现身 他傻了 糟了 |
[15:02] | We actually operate many private prisons, as well as our juvenile detention facilities. | 除了青少年惩戒中心以外 我们还运营许多私人监狱 |
[15:06] | Our safety and crime record is typically superior to the state facilities. | 我们的安全及犯罪记录相比 州立机构而言更为优秀 |
[15:11] | But just to be clear, you’re in this for profit, right? | 不过说到底 你们还是以盈利为目的的 对吗 |
[15:15] | Yes. We’re for profit. We’re a business. | 是的 我们是以营利为目的的 我们还是商业机构 |
[15:17] | There’s nothing wrong with capitalism. | 基于资本主义经营完全没问题 |
[15:19] | Just the opposite: public prisons are weighed down with bureaucracy. | 而相对的 公立监狱因为官僚主义的束缚 情况要糟糕得多 |
[15:23] | They have archaic civil service rules that they have to go by. We don’t. | 他们必须要遵循不合时宜的公务员守则 我们则不 |
[15:27] | We’ve streamlined the entire process, | 我们将上至建筑 |
[15:30] | right from construction, all the way to human resources. | 下至人力资源的 整个过程流水线化 |
[15:33] | We’ve even eliminated all the red tape. | 我们甚至不再采用任何官僚流程 |
[15:35] | Simply put: We can build a better prison for less money, and we do. | 简而言之 我们可以花更少的钱提供更好的监狱 而我们也正是这么做的 |
[15:39] | Okay, but sir, how is it | 好吧 先生 |
[15:41] | that a 15-year-old inmate could get attacked by one of your guards? | 可是一个15岁的犯人 会受到你们的某个守卫的攻击呢 |
[15:46] | Well, this was a rogue guard. | 这是个流氓守卫 |
[15:48] | Sorry to say, but every prison… public or private… has them. | 很遗憾地说 可是所有公立或私立 监狱都有这种守卫 |
[15:51] | But I can tell you that we do screen our employees. | 我可以告诉你的是 我们对员工是有审核机制的 |
[15:54] | He had no history of violent or sex crime, and there was no way to predict this. | 他没有任何暴力或性侵犯记录 谁也无法预料此事 |
[15:59] | I can also tell you that our screening process rivals or surpasses the ones | 我也可以告诉你 我们的审核机制的严格性 |
[16:04] | used by the state operated facilities. | 达到甚至超过州立机构 |
[16:06] | As for rogue guards, they’re just a reality of prison life. | 而关于流氓守卫 对于监狱来说这实在无法避免 |
[16:10] | When we say, “for profit,” how much profit are we talking about? | 我们提到以盈利为目的 你们的盈利有多少呢 |
[16:13] | Objection. Relevancy. | 反对 与本案无关 |
[16:15] | I think we’d like to explore whether these savings afforded them a better opportunity to, | 我仅想搞清楚降低的成本是否 能给他们提供一个更好的机会 |
[16:19] | say, prevent the 15-year-olds from getting raped… | 来…防止15岁的孩子受到强奸 |
[16:22] | Objection! That’s inflammatory. | 反对 煽动性言论 |
[16:24] | Rapes are an inflammatory thing, Mel, don’t you agree? | 没人能对强奸不感到愤怒 Mel 你同意吗 |
[16:26] | Two pops for yes. | 啵两下表示同意 |
[16:27] | – Mr. Espenson. – Sorry, Judge; | – Espenson 先生 – 对不起 大人 |
[16:28] | I’m a chip off the old hoot. Exactly how much moolah do you make? | 我也就是个大傻冒 你们到底搞了多少票子? |
[16:32] | We made about three hundred and fifty million dollars this past year. | 我们去年收入3亿5千万美元 |
[16:36] | That’s kind of a lot. Don’t you agree, Mel? | 看起来还真不少呀 你同意吗 Mel |
[16:38] | One pop; three if you love me. | 啵一个 如果爱我就三下 |
[16:40] | You throw any of it toward training your guards? | 那么这些钱里面有花在守卫培训上的吗? |
[16:42] | Of course we do. Our guards are well-trained. | 当然了 我们的守卫都受过良好的训练 |
[16:44] | Well-trained?! As was this one… the one who attacked my client. | 良好的训练 当然那个攻击我委托人的也是了 |
[16:47] | Mr. Palmer likes to say, “Attacked.” | Palmer先生喜欢说攻击 |
[16:49] | Attack’s a nice word… our troops attack, for example. | 攻击是一个好词 比如说军队就进行攻击 |
[16:52] | Troops are good; attack’s a good word. | 军队是好的 攻击是好的 |
[16:55] | Much better than, say, rape, which is ugly. | 比强奸好多了 强奸是丑陋的 |
[17:00] | Which is what happened to my client. | 而我的当事人就被强奸了 |
[17:02] | Did you train this guard not to rape, by the way? | 顺便问一下 你训练过你的守卫 让他们不要去强奸人吗? |
[17:04] | All of our employees, including this one, are required to | 我们所有的雇员 包括这一个 在六个月的时间内 |
[17:07] | apply for correctional officer certification within 6 months of hire, | 必须申请惩交人员的资格证书 |
[17:11] | and they have another 6 months to get certified. | 然后他们还要六个月的时间获得认证 |
[17:13] | So any employee can work for your company for an entire year without certification. | 也就是说任何人都可以在 没有证书的情况下在你的公司工作一年? |
[17:17] | After receiving 40 hours of annual in-service training. | 首先必须接受每年40小时的在职培训 |
[17:21] | Forty hours. That would cover your riots, beatings, shakings, escapes. | 这40小时的培训里 必须包含对 暴动 斗殴 械斗 越狱的应对情况 |
[17:24] | Your employee turnover is two to three times that of public prisons. Am I right? | 你们的人员变动是公立监狱的2至3倍 对吗 |
[17:28] | – Yes, but – And your staff, | – 是的 不过.. – 而你的员工 与其他私立监狱的员工一样 |
[17:29] | like the staff of most private prisons, | 被他们所负责的囚犯袭击的几率 |
[17:30] | is 49% more likely to be assaulted by the inmates in their charge. | 要比公立监狱高出49% |
[17:34] | Well, it’s not Club Med. It is a prison. | 这又不是地中海会度假村 而是监狱 |
[17:37] | Oh, I see; we call it “prison” now, | 我明白了 现在说是监狱了 |
[17:38] | but for the purpose of getting parents to elect your “for profit alternative,” | 可是为了让家长们选择 你们这纯盈利为目的的”另种选择” |
[17:42] | you’re a “detention treatment facility.” | 你们就叫惩戒治疗机构 |
[17:44] | That’s another lovely word. “Treatment.” | 又是一个美妙的词汇 治疗 |
[17:47] | It’s almost as acceptable as “attack.” | 几乎和攻击一样让人容易接受 |
[17:49] | Doctors, for example, like to attack diseases with treatment. | 比说说 医生使用治疗手段攻击疾病 |
[17:53] | Treatment, attack; attack, treatment. Doesn’t matter which way. | 治疗 攻击 攻击 治疗 |
[17:56] | Still sounds better than “prison.” Rape. | 不管哪种 都比监狱 强奸好听多了 |
[18:00] | Prison, prison, prison; rape, rape, rape. | 监狱 监狱 监狱 强奸 强奸 强奸 |
[18:03] | – Objection. – Here we have child rape. | – 反对 – 我们这儿有个孩子被强奸了 |
[18:06] | – Objection! – Good that you made a profit. | – 反对 – 不过令人欣喜的是 你赚到了钱 |
[18:10] | I’m done. | 我问完了 |
[18:24] | Straight probation; six months. And you take your instruction video off YouTube. | 留下案底并缓刑六个月 并删除youtube上的指导视频 |
[18:31] | No. | 不 |
[18:33] | W… wait a minute. Did you just say, “No”? | 等等 你是不是刚说”不” |
[18:35] | They’re willing to let you go, Marlene! | 他们打算放过你了 Marlena |
[18:37] | This is more than just me, Grammy. | 这关系到的不仅是我一个人 奶奶 |
[18:39] | I am a movement. Millions of kids… | 我是他们的动力 无数的孩子 |
[18:41] | Oh, give me a break! | 哦 饶了我吧 |
[18:43] | I would think you of all people would understand, | 我以为 作为一个前女性参政论者 |
[18:45] | being a former suffragette, that sometimes you have to stand up… | 你应该是最能理解 你应该挺身而出 |
[18:48] | The law is black… | 法律是有严格规定的 |
[18:51] | did you just call me a former suffragette? | 你是不是刚说我是前女性参政论者? |
[18:55] | Aren’t you? | 你不是吗? |
[18:56] | How old do you think I am? | 你以为我有多老? |
[18:59] | I don’t know. Uh, eighty? | 我不知道 80? |
[19:02] | Please, leave now. And take the window… it’s faster. | 你快走吧 最好从窗子走 那样快点 |
[19:04] | And you! Can’t you talk some sense into her? | 而你 你能不能让她理智一点 |
[19:07] | Actually, I think she’s right. Uh, uh… | 事实上我觉得她是对的 |
[19:11] | not about you being eighty, | 不是说你80岁了 |
[19:12] | but I think she should get to vote. | 而是说她应该可以投票 |
[19:14] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[19:15] | We had 10 million people without high school diplomas vote in the last election. | 在上一次大选中 有一千万没有高中文凭的选民投票 |
[19:19] | Why shouldn’t Marlene get to vote? | 为什么Marlena不能投票呢 |
[19:22] | Carl… | Carl… |
[19:25] | That’s her “I’m not happy with you” tone. | 这就是她”我生你气了”的语气 |
[19:27] | Yes, I know it well. | 是的 我很清楚 |
[19:29] | Surely you think she should settle this case. | 你一定认为她应该接受这个协议 |
[19:32] | Surely I don’t… Shirley. | 我一定不这么认为 Shirley |
[19:40] | Give me one reason why we shouldn’t countersue for abuse of process, | 给我们一个不对你们进行反诉的原因 因为你们无理控诉 |
[19:44] | filing a frivolous lawsuit, and, possibly, extortion. | 其控诉毫无意义 形同勒索 |
[19:49] | W-well, my impression of the pharmaceutical industry is that it’s always so nice. | 我对制药行业的印象一直都是很好的 |
[19:56] | He had a scare, but he’s fine now. What are the damages? | 他受惊了 不过现在没事儿了 损失何在? |
[19:59] | Well, emotional distress, for starters. | 首先是精神上的伤害 |
[20:01] | But how did we cause it? | 这怎么可能是我们造成的 |
[20:04] | What is it exactly you’re claiming we did? | 你要给我们扣什么帽子? |
[20:06] | What you did? You brainwashed my client. | 你们做了什么? 你们把我的客户洗脑了 |
[20:08] | The massive marketing strategy employed by your trade association | 你们的大市场战略的推销 |
[20:12] | caused him to gulp down of 42 different drugs on a daily basis. | 导致他每天服用42种不同的药物 |
[20:15] | And it would be foreseeable in your mind that he’d do this just because? | 你认为他这么做这是预见的 因为… |
[20:19] | Certainly foreseeable to you. You market to senior citizens | 对你们来说显然是可以预见的 你们把年长的人作为市场目标 |
[20:22] | because your research shows they’re easy targets, | 因为研究表明向他们推销更容易成功 |
[20:25] | susceptible to deceptive advertising… | 他们更容易受到广告的误导 |
[20:26] | I’m sorry. You did go to law school, right? | 抱歉 你是从法律学校毕业的吗? |
[20:29] | Actually, I bought my degree on the Internet. | 事实上 我是从网上买的学位 |
[20:32] | Uh, what’s your point? | 你的重点是什么? |
[20:33] | What happened to him was the product of his own stupidity. | 这个事情之所以发生是因为他的愚蠢 |
[20:36] | That he’s able to enlist his firm and perhaps an equally intellectually-challenged attorney | 他在你们所里煽风点火 再拉上一个智力或许和他差不多的律师 |
[20:40] | to type a cause of action on a complaint does not give him one. | 写一份狗屁不通的起诉缘由 |
[20:45] | I bet you didn’t play well with others as a child, did you? | 你小时候和别人玩不到一起去吧 我想 |
[20:49] | I’m leaving. | 我要走了 |
[20:50] | Sit your arrogant ass down, Mr. Mathis. | 把你那傲慢的屁股给我坐下 Mathis先生 |
[20:52] | Better you hear what I have to say now. | 最好你现在听听我想说什么 |
[20:54] | It’ll be considerably cheaper than in court. | 这可比上法庭要便宜得多 |
[20:57] | You actually think you’re going to intimidate us? | 你真以为你能威胁我们? |
[20:59] | We’re one of the biggest players in the pharmaceutical industry. | 我们是制药业的巨头的之一 |
[21:02] | Do you have the slightest sense of how powerful we are? | 你有没有概念我们有多大的影响力? |
[21:05] | I have a very acute sense. | 我很明白 |
[21:07] | Last week, I took on the tobacco industry. | 上周我接了个烟草公司的案子 |
[21:09] | Imagine my surprise to discover you two are so much alike. | 我惊奇的发现你们很相似 |
[21:13] | You both deny the damaging health effects of your products, | 你们都不承认你们的商品有害健康 |
[21:17] | you both promote so-called “independent research” which you actually finance, | 你们都推广你们出钱做的的所谓的独立研究 |
[21:22] | you both market to children, | 你们都向孩子进行市场推广 |
[21:23] | you both pour millions of dollars into lobbying efforts to buy Congress, | 你们都花巨资游说国会官员 |
[21:27] | you both suppress information that proves that your products kill people. | 你们都掩盖你们的产品害死人的事情 |
[21:31] | The only difference I can see is that while the FDA is hostile toward cigarettes, | 唯一的不同是 食物药品管理局对烟草产业很不友好 |
[21:35] | – you they roll over for. – Look… | – 却倾向于你们这一边 – 听着 |
[21:36] | I know exactly how big and powerful you are, Mr. Mathis. | 我很清楚你们有多大的能力 Mathis先生 |
[21:42] | It might do you some good to check me out. | 你最好也查清楚我是谁 |
[21:44] | I’m the guy who just nicked Big Tobacco for 200 million. | 我就是那个让烟草公司损失2亿的人 |
[21:47] | Now I just sit in my office all day, twiddling my thumbs, | 而我坐在办公室琢磨谁是下一个呢 |
[21:50] | asking myself, “Who’s next?” | 而我坐在办公室琢磨谁是下一个呢 |
[21:52] | Well, guess what? | 猜猜看 |
[21:55] | It’s you. | 是你们 |
[21:58] | It’s you. | 你们 |
[22:14] | The law is the law. She broke it. | 法律就是法律 她违法了 |
[22:16] | Now, since they’ve attempted to put the law itself on trial here, let me defend it. | 鉴于他们试图审判法律 让我来辩护一下 |
[22:19] | There is a reason for voting age minimums. | 设定选举最低年龄是有原因的 |
[22:22] | Most kids aren’t as fully informed as Miss Hoffman is. | 大部分孩子不像Hoffman小姐这样懂这么多 |
[22:26] | Most kids are… well… kids, | 大部分孩子只是孩子 |
[22:29] | and they simply lack the judgment and maturity. | 他们缺少成年人的判断能力 |
[22:31] | A recent poll found that 20% of students at NYU | 最近的调查发现20%的纽约大学的学生 |
[22:35] | would trade their vote in the upcoming Presidential election for an iPod Touch. | 愿意用即将到来的 大选的选举权换取ipod touch |
[22:40] | Sixty-six percent would trade it for free tuition. | 66%的学生愿意用来换取免学费 |
[22:43] | Kids are kids, which is why this state… indeed, most states… set boundaries. | 孩子就是孩子 这就是为什么 本州还有绝大多数的州对孩子都有限制 |
[22:48] | We don’t let them drink until they’re 21, we don’t let them have sex, | 在他们21岁之前我们不让他们喝酒 不让他们发生性关系 |
[22:50] | we don’t allow them to enter into contracts. | 不允许他们签合同 |
[22:53] | Is it fair that Marlene Hoffman not be allowed to vote, | 鉴于Marlena Hoffman 如此政治敏感度如此之高 |
[22:56] | given how politically aware she is? Maybe not. | 不让她参与选举公平吗? 也许不 |
[22:59] | But our system here has to be what’s best for the masses; | 但是我们的制度要有利于绝大多数人民 |
[23:03] | specifically, what’s best for this country. | 特别是我们的国家 |
[23:05] | Letting children vote doesn’t serve that goal. | 让孩子参与选举不符合我们的这个目标 |
[23:08] | I salute Marlene Hoffman and her civic commitment. I really do. | 我由衷地敬佩Marlena Hoffman的 所作所为以及她的公民自觉性 真的 |
[23:13] | She just has to wait another year. | 她只需再等一年 |
[23:15] | Now I know that to her, that probably seems like a lifetime. | 我知道对她来说可能像是要等一辈子一样 |
[23:20] | After all, she’s a kid. | 不管怎么说 她还是个孩子 |
[23:23] | What’s the fear? That they’ll screw things up? | 我们在害怕什么 怕他们把事情搞到一团糟? |
[23:28] | We have a 9.4 trillion dollar debt, | 我们有9.4万亿的负债 |
[23:30] | no national health care, unprecedented poverty, capped by a recession, | 没有全民医保 经济衰退引发史无前例的贫困 |
[23:35] | a war that could last a hundred years depending on who wins this election, | 有可能持续上百年的 取决于谁赢得总统选举的战争 |
[23:39] | an earth that is dying. | 地球正在枯竭 |
[23:41] | Oh, yes; please | 拜托 |
[23:42] | let’s not dare let the young people mess with our masterpiece! | 千万别让这些孩子们扰乱我们的宏伟事业 |
[23:45] | Oh, come on, Mr. Suck. Don’t you think this is ridiculous? | Suck先生 你不觉得太荒谬了吗? |
[23:49] | Carl Sack: At first, I did. By the way? It’s Sack. | 一开始是的 还有我叫Sack不是Suck |
[23:53] | But, the more I listen to Ms. Hoffman… | 但是我听Holffman小姐解释之后 |
[23:58] | Children aren’t just our future, Judge; they’re our best hope. | 孩子不仅是我们的未来 大人 还是我们最大的希望 |
[24:01] | We need them involved, on board, with an appreciation of the stakes. | 我们需要在意识到风险的同时 仍然让和这位小姐一样的孩子 |
[24:05] | This young lady is. | 参与到政治中来 |
[24:07] | Come on! You’re talking about electing our Commander-in-Chief! | 你在说什么! 你说的可是总-统-竞-选! |
[24:10] | Yes, I am. | 对 |
[24:12] | You know what? Let’s face it: | 知道吗?我们要直面现实 |
[24:13] | These elections are typically decided by old coots like you and me. Why? | 这个选举取决于像你我这样的老屁 为什么呢? |
[24:17] | Well, because not only do senior citizens historically swing elections with their votes, | 不仅仅因为一直以来年长公民的选票 左右选举结果 |
[24:22] | we have the most money to stuff the campaign coffers. | 我们还有支持选举的大部分资金 |
[24:26] | McCain and Obama certainly know that. | 麦凯恩和奥巴马显然知道这点 |
[24:28] | How else are you to explain their deafening silence on | 这也解释了为什么他们 |
[24:30] | what may be our biggest fiscal nightmare… | 对我们最大财政噩梦充耳不闻 |
[24:33] | that more and more of the federal budget now goes to subsidizing old people? | 即 越来越多的政府预算被用来补贴老人 |
[24:39] | Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security now take up 40%, | 医疗保险 医疗补助 和社会保险的花费已占全部的40% |
[24:44] | and spending on these programs is expected to double over the next ten years?! | 未来十年还有可能加倍 |
[24:49] | As far as what the kids get, well, let’s see. | 然而我们的孩子得到了什么呢 |
[24:51] | Failing educational systems, a broken economy, | 糟糕的教育体系 衰退的经济 |
[24:54] | don’t forget the backdoor draft to get them to fight our wars. | 还有送他们上战场的黑箱操作的征兵草案 |
[24:58] | The kids are getting screwed. | 他们的生活变得一团糟 |
[25:00] | There are millions of them on high school and college campuses | 在高中和大学校园有上百万的学生 |
[25:02] | – who are informed, passionate – Oh, for God’s sake! | – 有知识有热情 – 省省吧你 |
[25:05] | You might also consider, Judge, that teenagers spend | 法官大人 想想 |
[25:08] | over one hundred and seventy-six billion dollars a year of their own money… | 我们的青少年每年消费一千七百六十多亿 |
[25:14] | over one hundred and seventy-six billion! | 他们自己的一千七百六十多亿! |
[25:16] | They earn it. | 他们赚来的 |
[25:18] | They file tax returns. | 他们申报纳税 |
[25:20] | To tax them while not letting them vote?! | 而我们对他们征税却不让他们选举? |
[25:23] | That amounts to taxation without representation! | 那等于无代表权却纳税 |
[25:26] | I think we started a Revolutionary War to right that wrong. | 我们建国的革命不就是为了纠正这个错误 |
[25:31] | Finally, Your Honor… | 最后 法官大人 |
[25:37] | I hesitate to say this, | 我犹豫要不要说这个 |
[25:39] | but the resistance to letting young people vote | 但是限制青少年选举的真正 原因可能更加深藏不露而具欺骗性 |
[25:42] | may be more insidious and subtle than, “Gee, they lack the maturity.” | 而并不是“天 他们缺乏成熟的思考” |
[25:48] | We have an ugly legacy in this country of excluding certain segments of society. | 我们国家一些可怕的 传统把一部分人排除在社会之外 |
[25:53] | There are women alive today who were once denied the right to vote. | 很多曾经被没有选举权的妇女现在还健在 |
[25:57] | Even after African-Americans were given the right, | 非裔美国人获得选举权都在她们之前 |
[26:00] | many were subjected to literacy tests, | 她们必须通过读写测试 |
[26:02] | like in Alabama, where blacks had to determine the number of bubbles in a bar of soap | 譬如在阿拉巴马州 黑人必须数出一块肥皂上 |
[26:08] | before they could cast their ballot. | 有多少泡泡之后才能投票 |
[26:10] | Today, states are passing voter ID laws, requiring proof of citizenship. | 现如今 我们通过了选民身份法 来证明公民身份 |
[26:14] | Makes sense on one level, | 有一定的道理 |
[26:16] | but the net effect is that many US-born citizens will lose out | 但是事实上很多美国本土公民会丧失选举权 |
[26:20] | because they’re too poor to afford the documentation. | 因为他们太穷了付不起钱办身份证明 |
[26:24] | Millions of felons can’t vote… also makes sense, | 上百万的重罪犯没有选举权 也许有道理 |
[26:28] | except when you consider that | 但是 让我们想一下 |
[26:30] | 13% of the US black male population fall into that category… | 13%的黑人男性都是由于这样而不能选举 |
[26:37] | the poor, the black, the young. | 穷人,黑人 孩子都不能选举 |
[26:40] | Now, a nutty Reverend may have been right | 现在看来 某个愚蠢的牧师说 |
[26:42] | when he said that this country is ruled by the old, the white, and the rich. | 这个国家是被老人 白人 富人统治的 也许真的没错 |
[26:47] | So, you don’t favor any age requirements? | 那么 你觉得应该没有年龄限制? |
[26:51] | Lower it to 17. | 降到17岁吧 |
[26:53] | Nineteen US states are considering legislation to lower the voting age. | 美国19个州在考虑降低选举年龄的限制 |
[26:57] | Why? | 为什么? |
[26:58] | Because it’s time. | 因为是时候了 |
[27:00] | Our kids are educated. | 我们的孩子受过教育 |
[27:02] | They can be passionate, socially aware. | 他们既有热情又有公民自觉性 |
[27:05] | I mean they have idealism many of us have forgotten. | 还有我们大部分人已经忘记的理想主义 |
[27:10] | They have a voice; it’s time we let it be heard. | 他们有自己的想法 是时候倾听了 |
[27:14] | Not just for their sakes, but for ours. | 不仅仅是为了他们 还是为了我们 |
[27:36] | We going into court? | 我们能有庭审机会吗? |
[27:37] | Alan Shore: They filed a motion to dismiss. | 他们申请驳回了 |
[27:39] | Can we beat it? | 我们能赢这个驳回申请吗? |
[27:39] | Well, it’s a pretty powerful industry, Denny. | 他们是很有权势的公司 Denny |
[27:43] | Do I have to give you my big pep talk again? | 我是不是还得给你打打气呀? |
[27:45] | No. They almost killed you. | 不用 他们几乎害死你 |
[27:47] | You can consider me sufficiently motivated. | 你可以认为我已经有足够的动力了 |
[27:53] | Oh, Denny, please don’t… hug me. | Denny 别……抱我 |
[28:01] | All right. Look, I’m kind of a simple guy, I admit. | 我承认我是个简单的人 |
[28:05] | When I get a case, I just plop down with the complaint, a cheeseburger and a pop, | 当我接到个案子的时候 我就把抱怨 汉堡 爆米花放一边 |
[28:10] | and I try to decipher what the thing is really about… that’s what I do. | 然后试图搞清楚事情到底是怎么回事 |
[28:15] | And I must tell you, I’m a little bit stumped here. | 但是我不得不说 我被这个案子难住了 |
[28:18] | I mean, it can’t be a straight negligence thing, can it? | 这显然不是简单的过失案件 是吧 |
[28:22] | First, it wasn’t foreseeable that this guard would commit a sexual assault. | 首先 我们无法预想到这个警卫会进行性侵犯 |
[28:27] | He sure as hell never did it before. | 他以前从未有过前科 |
[28:29] | Second, the prison’s operating procedures were consistent with industry standards. | 其次 这个监狱的运行程序是符合行业标准的 |
[28:34] | Third, the plaintiff herself would be deemed contributory negligent | 再次 原告亦有过错 |
[28:38] | since she cultivated a sexual relationship with this man. | 因为她和这个警卫发展了男女关系 |
[28:41] | She broke prison rules to be with him. | 她为了和他在一起而违反了监狱的规定 |
[28:43] | Hell, she kissed him! | 她亲了他 |
[28:45] | That’s probably why they decided to make this a referendum on private prisons. | 也许这就是为什么他们决定进行公开决议 |
[28:52] | Better target ‘cause “for profit” translates to “greed and avarice,” | 私人监狱是个更好的目标 因为赢利也可以解释成贪婪 |
[28:56] | and we love taking the deep pockets down a notch, don’t we? | 我们乐意让财主大出血 对吧 |
[29:01] | But, folks, private prisons are a good thing. | 但是注意 私人监狱是好的 |
[29:06] | Not only do they save taxpayers money, they make us safer. | 不仅仅省了纳税人的钱 还让我们更安全 |
[29:09] | Their recidivism rates are lower than the state-run facilities. | 私人监狱犯人的再犯率比州立监狱的低 |
[29:13] | They also create jobs and help the economy. | 他们同时还创造了就业机会 促进经济发展 |
[29:16] | I’m sorry, but you just can’t make a goat of private prisons. | 抱歉 但你们不能把私人监狱当替罪羊 |
[29:20] | If anything, we need more of them. | 我们需要更多的私人监狱 |
[29:23] | Now.. | 现在 |
[29:25] | a horrible thing happened here. No question. | 不幸的事情发生了 毫无疑问 |
[29:29] | And blame was assessed. The rogue guard was arrested and locked up. | 罪责已然认定 这个流氓警卫已经被关进了监狱 |
[29:33] | Justice was done. | 正义得到了声张 |
[29:35] | This is a civil trial, which is trying to find a correctional facility guilty | 这是一个民事诉讼 它是想要判定惩戒所有罪 |
[29:40] | when they did everything right, according to industry standards. | 尽管他们所做的一切都符合行业标准 |
[29:47] | That’ s… just… the truth. | 这就是事实 |
[30:17] | Have we all gone completely mad? | 我们是不是完全疯了? |
[30:19] | One in a hundred people in this country are in prison or jail. | 这个国家每一百人里就有一个人在坐牢 |
[30:24] | The United States has more people locked up than any other country in the world… | 美国监狱里的人数居世界之首 |
[30:29] | that includes China. | 比中国还多 |
[30:31] | For a nation that bills itself as the Land of the Free, | 对于一个以建立自由国度为目的的国家来说 |
[30:34] | America quite fancies its slammers. | 美国却似乎特别喜欢监狱 |
[30:37] | And with alarming recidivism rates, | 而看着这触目心惊的再犯罪率 |
[30:39] | do we really mean to turn this problem over to the for-profit corporations | 我们真的愿意把这个问题 交给以盈利为目的的商业公司吗? |
[30:42] | whose very economic survival depends on people going to prison? | 尤其是坐牢的人数 直接决定了他们的财政状况 |
[30:46] | Are we really to believe that they’ll rehabilitate their inmates | 我们能相信在盈利目的与之向左的情况下 |
[30:49] | when they have a profit motive not to do so? | 这些公司真的愿意把犯人改造好吗? |
[30:51] | If people don’t commit crimes, they’re out of business. | 如果没有人犯罪的话 他们就会破产了 |
[30:54] | You have a cynical view of human nature… that’s what you have, little lady. | 你对人性本质的看法相当愤世嫉俗呀 小女士 |
[30:58] | Mr. Palmer, with all due respect to the fact | Palmer先生 无意冒犯 |
[31:01] | that you are far simpler than any of us could aspire to be, | 尽管你的直接无人能及 |
[31:04] | I shall ask you to never… ever… call me “little lady” again. | 我还是希望你 绝对不要再称呼我为”小女士” |
[31:07] | As for human nature, we saw it in Iraq with Black water. | 至于人性的本质 我们在伊拉克的 “黑水”事件中已经看得很清楚了 |
[31:11] | Private corporations hired to protect our troops chose not to use armored vehicles, | 这间被雇佣来保护我们军队的私人公司 |
[31:16] | even though the contract expressly provided for them. | 尽管合同上明确说明 军方愿意提供装甲车 |
[31:19] | Soldiers died because some executive decided, | 其依然选择不予使用 士兵们的牺牲只因为某个负责人 |
[31:22] | “Better to save money than lives.” | 将省钱看得比人命还重 |
[31:25] | That’s what you get with for-profit corporations. | 这就是选择以盈利为目的的公司的后果 |
[31:27] | They never keep ledger sheets showing the human cost. | 其财务报表中从不显示人力消耗 |
[31:31] | Our prison system releases six hundred and fifty thousand ex-convicts a year into society. | 我们的监狱系统每年释放65万的前科犯 |
[31:37] | Two-thirds of those quickly commit crimes and return. | 其中三分之二的人很快又犯下罪行并重回监狱 |
[31:40] | That’s good for the for-profit prison business. | 这对以盈利为目的的企业来说再好不过了 |
[31:43] | Very bad for the welfare of our citizenry, | 而对于社会安定来说却是太糟糕了 |
[31:46] | and if we go with this system that disincentivizes rehabilitation, then what? | 一个系统无法实现其让人重归正途的目的 而我们依然对其放任不管 那结果会如何呢 |
[31:51] | We’ve already got 2.2 million people in jail. | 我们已经有220万人在坐牢了 |
[31:54] | In fact, many jails have to release criminals | 事实上 许多监狱仅仅 因为没有更多的空间容纳犯人 |
[31:56] | because there is simply no place to put them. | 而不得不将一部分人释放 |
[31:59] | Corners get cut, costs get shaved, officer training is short-changed, | 追求捷径 削减开支 人员培训完全无法满足需要 |
[32:03] | and suddenly we have children who are first-time offenders | 突然间 一个初次违法的孩子 |
[32:07] | being physically attacked by corrections officers. | 就在生理上遭到惩戒人员的蹂躏 |
[32:11] | Mr. Palmer claims his client observed industry standards, | Palmer先生提出 他的当事人满足了行业标准 |
[32:16] | yet his client held himself up as being above those very standards. | 而他的当事人也以高于不同标准要求自身 |
[32:20] | The reason Lauren Addario elected to go to this facility | Lauren Addario选择这间机构的原因 |
[32:23] | is because it promised a safer environment where she would get treatment. | 也正是他们保证 她能在一个更加安全的环境里受到治疗 |
[32:27] | But whatever standard of care one seeks to hold a public or private prison up to, | 不过不管公立或 私立监狱希望保持何种标准 |
[32:34] | it should be one that safeguards against its 15-year-old girls being raped by guards. | 它都应该保证一个15岁女孩的安全 而不让其遭受守卫的强奸 |
[33:12] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[33:14] | All right. I did a little research of my own last night. | 我昨天晚上自己做了些研究 |
[33:18] | I learned that our brain size peaks at 14, | 我知道了我们的 大脑体积于14岁时达到顶点 |
[33:22] | and our reasoning abilities peak at 12. | 思考能力于12岁时达到顶点 |
[33:24] | I also discovered that in pre-industrial society, | 我同时也发现在工业社会之前 |
[33:27] | which didn’t even have a word for adolescence, | 甚至没有”青年期”这个词 |
[33:30] | that post-pubescent teens are considered adults. | 青春期之后的人即被认为是成人了 |
[33:34] | In fact, psychologists say that, | 事实上 心理学家认为 |
[33:36] | by imposing all the restrictions that we do on teenagers, | 通过我们现在强加于青少年的种种限制 |
[33:39] | we are infantilizing them… part of our grand scheme to extend childhood. | 我们正在将其低龄化 这也是我们延长儿童期的伟大计划的一部分 |
[33:44] | Many others say that the only solution to teenage angst and irresponsibility | 许多人认为青少年焦虑及不负责任问题的 唯一解决方式即是 |
[33:48] | is to go in the opposite direction, and treat them as grown-ups. | 与之背道而驰 将他们看作成年人来对待 |
[33:52] | Can’t he just say that I won, and be done with it? | 他能不能就直接说我赢了 然后就完事儿呀 |
[33:55] | I cannot give you the right to vote, | 我不能给你投票权 |
[33:59] | but I am satisfied that your actions were… were noble, | 不过我很高兴 你行动的起点很高尚 |
[34:03] | they were overt, they did not rise to the level of fraud, | 也有强烈的目的性 它还算不上是欺诈 |
[34:06] | and therefore I am dismissing all criminal charges. | 因此 我撤销所有刑事指控 |
[34:10] | We are adjourned. | 就此休庭 |
[34:15] | Very good job, Mr. Old Guy. | 干的很漂亮 老家伙先生 |
[34:17] | I mean, I can almost see what Grammy finds attractive about you. | 我差不多能看出来你哪里吸引我外婆了 |
[34:20] | Marlene, you’re not nearly as cute | Marlena 你一点也不像你自己认为的 |
[34:24] | or obnoxious as you think you are. | 那么可爱 或者讨厌 |
[34:27] | What I will say is: Pretty cool kid. | 我倒是会说 还是个挺酷的小孩儿 |
[34:32] | You won’t tell Grammy? I kinda like getting on her nerves. | 你不会告诉外婆 我真的有点儿喜欢招她烦吧 |
[34:36] | Secret’s safe. | 我保密 |
[34:45] | He’s failed to state a claim even suggesting liability. | 他无法主张甚至提出我们应负的责任 |
[34:49] | How is it foreseeable to us that he would gobble multiple medications, | 他大量服用多种药物的情况根本无法预见 |
[34:52] | buying them off the Internet, without even consulting a doctor in person? | 他甚至在没有面对面咨询医生的情况下 直接于网上购买 |
[34:55] | It’s not just foreseeable, it’s exactly what you count on! | 这不仅是可预见的 这甚至是你们所希望的 |
[34:58] | Seducing the more vulnerable members of society to fall for your snake oil potions. | 诱惑较易于落入陷阱的人 去买你们的万金油 |
[35:02] | Oh, that’s just absurd! | 这太荒谬了 |
[35:03] | Your Honor, hundreds of thousands of people die every year from prescription drugs. | 法官大人 每年都有无数人死于处方药物 |
[35:08] | Twenty seven thousand people were killed by Vioxx. | 2万7千人死于Vioxx (一种治风湿性关节炎的药物) |
[35:11] | If you believe one FDA official, possibly 50,000. | 如果你相信某个FDA官员的话 那可能就是5万人了 |
[35:14] | Yes. But you can’t sue these people for Vioxx. | 是的 可是你不能因为Vioxx而起诉这些人 |
[35:16] | This isn’t about Vioxx, which they don’t even manufacture. | 这和Vioxx毫无关系 被告人根本就不生产Vioxx |
[35:20] | I’m talking about an industry-wide pattern. | 我所讨论的是一个全行业的模式 |
[35:23] | We don’t even know all the potential dangers of these drugs, | 我们甚至不了解这些药物的潜在威胁性 |
[35:25] | because the pharmaceutical industry systematically conceals them. | 因为医药企业对其有系统的进行隐瞒 |
[35:29] | They’ve been caught buying clinical trials, | 他们已经被发现操纵临床试验 |
[35:31] | bribing doctors, distorting science. | 贿赂医生 歪曲科学 |
[35:34] | Many of these so-called “peer-reviewed” a articles we see in medical journals | 我们在医药杂志上所 看到的许多所谓的”同行评论” |
[35:38] | are actually ghost-written by the drug companies themselves, | 实际上都是制药公司找来的枪手所写 |
[35:40] | and doctors take pay-offs and let their names appear as the authors. | 医生同意自己的名字作为作者出现在文章上 而从中获得金钱利益 |
[35:44] | You have no evidence that any of that has happened here. | 你没有任何证据证明 你所说的任何事情的真实性 |
[35:46] | Because you hide it! | 因为你们把它们都藏起来了 |
[35:47] | Your company previously buried evidence | 你的公司就曾经隐藏能证明抗抑郁药物 |
[35:49] | which showed a link between antidepressants and suicidal thoughts in children. | 与儿童产生自杀念头的联系的证据 |
[35:53] | You did that. | 你们这么做了 |
[35:53] | Which we still deny. And this isn’t that case. | 我们始终否认此事 并且这也毫无关系 |
[35:55] | He doesn’t have one single fact to support… | 他甚至没有任何一个事实来支持… |
[35:57] | The fact is: The US pharmaceutical industry | 事实是 美国的制药业 |
[36:00] | spends almost twice as much on promotion as it does on research and development. | 花在促销药品上的金钱几乎是研发成本的两倍 |
[36:04] | That’s obscene! | 这太过分了 |
[36:05] | American television viewers see as much as 16 hours | 美国的电视观众每年观看 |
[36:09] | of prescription advertising each year. | 处方药物广告的时间长达16小时 |
[36:11] | Sixteen hours! That’s more time than most people spend at the movies. | 16小时 这甚至比大多数人 花在电影上的时间都多 |
[36:15] | The fact is: They invent diseases, like social phobia, | 他们无中生有的虚构出一些疾病 例如社交恐惧症 泛焦虑症 |
[36:19] | generalized anxiety disorder to sell mind-altering drugs… | 以销售那些把你脑子搞得一团糟的药物 |
[36:23] | Anxiety is a clinical illness. | 焦虑症是一种临床疾病 |
[36:25] | To suggest otherwise is not only irresponsible, Your Honor… | 否认这点不仅是不负责任 法官大人… |
[36:28] | What’s irresponsible is: We have scores of people being diagnosed | 不负责任的是我们有无数人 被诊断患有这种虚假的精神障碍疾病 |
[36:32] | with these vague mental disorders, millions of whom are children. | 他们其中有上百万人是妇女和儿童 |
[36:35] | What’s irresponsible is: We have 3-year-olds on antidepressants. | 不负责任的是 我们看到3岁的儿童服用抗抑郁药 |
[36:38] | Why? Because the drug companies… just like Big Tobacco… know | 为什么? 因为医药公司 就如同烟草企业一样 |
[36:42] | that if you get these kids when they’re young enough, you have a customer for life. | 如果你们能在用户年轻的时候 就把他们套牢的话 你就又有了个终身用户 |
[36:45] | I should sue you right now. You do not get a pass just | 我应该现在就起诉你 你这么说是要承担责任的 |
[36:47] | – because… – You want to sue me? | 你想起诉我? |
[36:47] | Please do. Because truth is a complete defense, and I’m not the only one saying this. | 请便 因为真相就是最好的免罪牌 我也不是唯一一个这么说的人 |
[36:52] | This industry invents chronic diseases, be it restless leg, dry eye syndrome, | 这个行业在发明越来越多的慢性疾病 包括多动腿综合症 |
[36:57] | or these unspecified sleep disorders that require nightly doses of habit-forming tranquilizers. | 干眼综合症或者非特定睡眠紊乱 这些都需要每天服用致瘾性的夜用镇静剂 |
[37:03] | They first concoct the disorder, then the drug, | 他们首先发明病因 随之制出药物 |
[37:05] | and then they blitz the public with commercials to convince them they’re afflicted, | 然后使用广告轰炸 他们患有此症 |
[37:09] | and it’s especially effective with senior citizens. | 这特别对老年人有说服力 |
[37:11] | My client was popping pills like candy. He almost died! | 我的委托人就像吃糖一样服药 他差点就送了命 |
[37:14] | He’s out of control. | 他失去控制了 |
[37:15] | Your industry is out of control. | 你们这个行业才失去了控制 |
[37:17] | You manufacture and sell disease at exorbitant cost. | 你们高价生产并推销疾病 |
[37:21] | And the FDA refuses to regulate you. | 而食品及药物管理局拒绝约束你们的行为 |
[37:23] | The pharmaceutical lobby has a death grip on Congress. | 医药行业牢牢地控制着国会 |
[37:26] | Mr. Shore, you need to settle down. | Shore先生 你需要冷静一点 |
[37:33] | Your Honor, the FDA refuses to go after these people, so let it be me. | 法官大人 食品及药物管理局拒绝追究 这些人的责任 那就让我来吧 |
[37:37] | They very nearly killed a man I dearly love. | 他们几乎害死了我深爱的人 |
[37:40] | Let it be me. | 就让我来吧 |
[37:41] | But let me get started, because they stall. Of the 27,000 to 50,000 Vioxx deaths, | 不过请让我开始吧 因为他们一直采用拖延战术 在2万7千至5万Vioxx致死的案件中 |
[37:46] | only 18 cases have reached juries so far… 18. | 目前为止只有18件得到陪审团裁决 18件 |
[37:50] | Most of the plaintiffs will in fact be dead before they’re compensated in any way. | 大多数的原告在获得 任何方式的赔偿之前就已经去世了 |
[37:54] | Well, my client is 75. | 我的委托人已经75岁了 |
[37:56] | So, please, let me get started on discovery, since clearly I’ll need every second. | 所以请让我开始探讨吧 因为很明显 我一刻也不能浪费 |
[38:00] | All right; all right. I will let this case stand. | 好吧 好吧 我同意立案 |
[38:03] | What?! Are you crazy? | 什么? 你疯了吗? |
[38:05] | Perhaps you could have a pill she could take. | 说不定你们有什么药可以给她 |
[38:06] | You’re allowing him to go forward with no proximate cause? | 你同意无直接因果关系的案件成立? |
[38:09] | That’s preposterous. | 这太荒谬了 |
[38:10] | What would be preposterous, sir, | 荒谬的是 |
[38:12] | is if I would extend the benefit of the doubt to your industry. | 如果我把疑点利益归于你们的行业 |
[38:16] | Do I look like an idiot? | 我看起来像个白痴吗? |
[38:17] | They’ve got a pill for that, too. | 他们也有制那种病的药 |
[38:18] | Will you shut up? | 你能不能闭嘴? |
[38:19] | I have made my ruling. We are adjourned. | 我已做出裁决 就此休庭 |
[38:25] | You’ve bitten off more than you can chew this time, my friend. | 你这次啃上硬骨头了 朋友 |
[38:27] | Oh, I don’t swallow. I just chew up and spit out. | 我不会咽下去的 嚼一嚼我就吐掉了 |
[38:29] | We’ll see. | 等着瞧吧 |
[38:30] | Zing. I can see you’re good at this. | 叮 我看的出你很牛哦 |
[38:40] | Nervous, Jerry? Interesting cross of yours. | 紧张吗 Jerry? 你的交叉询问挺有意思 |
[38:44] | Little piece of advice, my friend: | 提个小建议 我的朋友 |
[38:45] | Never, ever, get up in court and try to “out-me” me. | 绝对别想靠着在法庭上学我 就能把我打败 |
[38:50] | All right, Mr. Foreman; the jury has reached its verdict? | 好了 陪审团主席 你们有了一致的裁决了吗 |
[38:54] | We have, Judge. | 是的 法官大人 |
[38:55] | What say you? | 你们如何决定? |
[38:57] | In the matter of Lauren Addario vs. Superior Correctional Centers, | 对于Lauren Addario 诉Superior问题儿童矫正中心一案 |
[39:00] | we the jury find in favor of the plaintiff, | 陪审团认定原告胜诉 |
[39:03] | and order the defendant to pay damages in the amount of $1.7 million. | 被告应当支付170万元的赔偿金 |
[39:07] | Defense appeals. Judge | 被告要求上诉 法官 |
[39:08] | So noted. Members of the jury: Thank you for your service. | 记录在案了 陪审团成员们 感谢你们 |
[39:12] | The judgment is entered. | 判决以下 |
[39:14] | This matter is adjourned. | 就此休庭 |
[39:16] | You did it. | 你成功了 |
[39:18] | Congratulations, Lauren. | 祝贺你 Lauren |
[39:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:22] | Jerry Espenson: Can’t win them all, Mel. | 你也不能每次都赢呀 Mel |
[39:24] | Hey! Can you win any? Two pops for yes, bro. | 不过 你还能赢一场吗? 如果是就啵两个 兄弟 |
[39:31] | Jerry, in England, we’re taught to be gracious in victory. | Jerry 在英国 他们教育我们在胜利后要保持风度 |
[39:35] | I couldn’t help it. He’s a big boob-head. | 我忍不住 他是个大便头 |
[39:38] | Well, congratulations. It seems your cross carried the day. | 恭喜 看起来今天你的 交叉询问起了很大作用 |
[39:40] | No; it was your closing. It was as persuasive as it was elegant. | 不 是因为你的结案陈词 既有说服力 又不失风度 |
[39:45] | I guess we make quite a team, you and me..as… as colleagues. | 我猜我们两个很合拍 你和我 作为同事 |
[39:49] | Of course. Absolutely. As colleagues. | 当然 绝对了 作为同事 |
[40:04] | Last week, Big Tobacco. This week, Big Pharmaceuticals. | 上个星期 烟草公司 这个星期 医药公司 |
[40:08] | Well, why not go out swinging, right? | 不如我们出去大肆庆祝一下 怎么样? |
[40:10] | Who says we’re going out? | 谁说要出去了? |
[40:12] | I read somewhere you should live every year as if it’s your last. | 我在哪里看到过 应该把每一年都当作最后一年 |
[40:15] | Really? I can’t imagine this is our last year. | 真的? 实在不敢相信 这是我们的最后一年了 |
[40:19] | Aren’t there still some time slots we haven’t tried? | 我们还有很多没有试过呢 |
[40:24] | Do you ever think about the end, Denny? | 你有想过最后的结局吗 Danny? |
[40:28] | Death? | 死亡 |
[40:29] | I feel somehow I’ll just keep going on even after it’s over… like Hillary. | 我总是觉得我会在一切都结束以后 仍然会继续前行 就像希拉里 (指其总统大选) |
[40:36] | Reincarnation. You believe in that? | 转世 你相信吗? |
[40:38] | I do, actually. What’s the alternative? | 事实上 我相信 还有其他选择吗? |
[40:41] | Nothingness? I can’t believe in that. | 虚无? 我无法相信 |
[40:45] | No. | 是的 |
[40:47] | You believe in reincarnation? | 你相信转世吗? |
[40:50] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[40:51] | I suppose if I ever did get to Heaven, God would almost certainly return me. | 我估计如果我上了天堂 上帝也一定会把我赶回来 |
[40:55] | True. | 没错 |
[40:57] | What do you think you’ll be in your next life? | 你觉得你的下辈子会是什么? |
[41:01] | I hope a beautiful woman. I could touch myself. | 我希望是个美女 我就可以自己摸自己了 |
[41:03] | I might want to touch you. | 我或许也会想来摸你 |
[41:05] | You’ve already had your kiss. How was it for you? | 你已经都亲过了 对你来说感觉怎么样? |
[41:08] | I’ve had better. | 不算是最好的吧 |
[41:09] | You didn’t tongue me, did you? | 你没用舌头吧 |
[41:10] | Oh, God, | 哦 天哪 |
[41:15] | I must say, | 我还是得说 |
[41:20] | I feel … great comfort, the way you’re there for me. | 我觉得 有你一直这样陪着我 实在是很舒心 |
[41:26] | When the day does come, | 当那一天最终来临的时候 |
[41:28] | at least I won’t be alone. | 至少我不会孤单 |
[41:31] | You won’t be alone. | 你不会孤单的 |
[41:35] | You know, if we are to think of it as our last year, | 如果我们真的要把今年看作是最后一年 |
[41:38] | we need to think of how best to go out. | 我们就得想一个最完美的谢幕 |
[41:41] | Fishing, for sure. | 钓鱼 肯定得有 |
[41:42] | For sure. | 当然了 |
[41:42] | Supreme Court… gotta go back. | 最高法院 我一定得回去一趟 |
[41:44] | Scalia misses me. | Scalia 想我了 |
[41:45] | Shirley | Shirley. |
[41:48] | Once with Shirley before I go. | 走之前一定得和Shirley有一次 |
[41:52] | I can’t believe you actually got to suck face with me. | 真不敢相信 你能在我脸上乱舔 |
[41:55] | And I brought you back to life. | 我救了你的命 |
[41:56] | Like Snow White. | 就像白雪公主 |
[41:58] | Like Snow White. | 就像白雪公主 |
[42:02] | Of all the women I have loved, been loved by… | 那么多我爱过和爱过我的女人们 |
[42:06] | whoever would have believed that Alan Shore would be my Prince Charming? | 谁会相信Alan shore会是我的白马王子 |
[42:10] | Let no man tear asunder. | 没有人能将我们分开 |
[42:12] | Till death do us part. | 至死不渝 |
[42:16] | Amen. | 阿门 |