时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | previously on “boston legal”… | |
[00:02] | all setfor your testimony,renee? | 准备好证词了么 Renee? |
[00:04] | I’m nervous. I’mnot as funny when I’m nervous. | 我很紧张 我紧张起来可不好玩 |
[00:06] | She’s very odd,jerry. | 她很怪 Jerry |
[00:08] | I lost my cherry. | 我破处了 |
[00:09] | it was with dana? | 是跟Dana? |
[00:10] | Of course it was with dana. She’s my girlfriend. | 当然了 她是我女友 |
[00:12] | – Jerry’s girlfriend. – What about her? | – Jerry的女朋友 – 她怎么了? |
[00:14] | I didn’t entirely give upthe brothel business. | 我并没完全放弃应召生意 |
[00:16] | I’m not gonna datea call girl. | 我不跟应召女郎交往 |
[00:17] | When I tell you I love you,that isn’t a lie. | 我对你的表白 不是谎言 |
[00:21] | Please leave. | 你走吧 |
[00:22] | denny,if you were president,seriously,you would nuke iraq and iran? | Denny 如果你是总统 你会核打击伊朗和伊拉克么? |
[00:25] | Before breakfast. | 那只是前奏 |
[00:26] | – Then what,north korea? – Okay. | – 然后呢 朝鲜? – 好的 |
[00:28] | – Pakistan? – Why not? | – 巴基斯坦? – 何乐而不为呢? |
[00:29] | – Afghanistan? – If there’s time. | – 阿富汗? – 如果有空的话 |
[00:37] | Tap dancing? | 踢踏舞鞋? |
[00:39] | I used it beforeto battle stage fright when I firstwent into litigation. | 我刚开始辩护的时候穿过 防止怯场 |
[00:42] | But it’s also effectivefor stress therapy. | 对于心理压力治疗也有效 |
[00:45] | A trained therapistactually suggested this? | 心理医生建议你这么做? |
[00:48] | Is it too weird? | 很奇怪么? |
[00:49] | Well,yes,jerry. | 是啊 Jerry |
[00:52] | The hopping,the wooden cigarette,the ticks,all of this I understandand even appreciate,but– | 你蹦蹦跳跳 举个木制雪茄 跺脚 我都理解 但是… |
[01:00] | dana.Hello. Welcome. Not. | Dana 你好 欢迎…才怪 |
[01:03] | Hello,jerry,katie. | 你好 Jerry Katie |
[01:06] | Dana | Dana |
[01:07] | listen,uh… how do I say this? | 听我说… 我要怎么说呢? |
[01:11] | There’s nothing to say,dana. | 没什么好说的 Dana |
[01:13] | I made my position clear. I am finished. | 我的立场很坚定 我说完了 |
[01:15] | Read my… lips! | 看我… 口型! |
[01:18] | Hello,lorraine. | 你好啊 Lorraine |
[01:19] | You were my next stop. | 我等下还要找你 |
[01:21] | I’m not here to ask youto take me back,jerry,as much as I’d like that. | 我不是劝你回头的 Jerry 虽然我希望如此 |
[01:25] | I was arrested last night. | 我昨晚被捕了 |
[01:28] | One of my clients– one of your clients– | 我的一个客户 你的客户 |
[01:32] | is an undercover agent working forthe boston police department. | 是波士顿警署的便衣警察 |
[01:36] | I’m in a little bit of trouble. | 我有麻烦了 |
[01:39] | I’m here in need of a lawyer. | 我是来找律师的 |
[01:41] | She’s a call girl? | 她是应召女郎? |
[01:42] | can you believe it? | 你能相信么? |
[01:44] | First lorraine than this girl–hookers wherever you look. | 先是Lorraine后是她 妓女到处有啊 |
[01:47] | And have you seenthis girl dana? My god. She’s so beautiful. | 如果你看过这个Dana? 老天爷啊 太美了 |
[01:50] | And to think,she’s onlya credit card away. | 而且她近在咫卡啊 |
[01:53] | Denny | denny. |
[01:55] | Well,well,well. | 啧 啧 啧 |
[01:57] | Finally come to pay your bet. | 终于愿赌服输了 |
[01:59] | How are you,denny? | 你咋样啊 Denny? |
[02:00] | $10,000 richer,I hope. | 多了1万美元 |
[02:02] | Alan shore,paul cruickshank. | 他是Alan Shore 这是Paul Cruickshank |
[02:04] | I beat his ass in golffor 5 grand,then kicked what was left of itin the courtroom for another 5,000. | 我们赌了一场高球 我赢了5千 后来在法庭上 我又赢了5千 |
[02:09] | The bet was,you were supposedto come crawling in with your money. | 打赌说的是 你要带着钱爬进来 |
[02:12] | I’m not hereabout the bet,denny. | 我不是为了打赌而来的 Denny |
[02:14] | What is it then? | 那是什么? |
[02:17] | It’s extremely confidential. | 终极机密 |
[02:20] | We’re married. | 我们结婚了 |
[02:22] | May I speak to youin private,please? | 拜托 能私下说么? |
[02:33] | m assumingyour office isn’t bugged. | 你办公室没有窃听器吧 |
[02:35] | It might be. Why do you care? | 可能有 怎么了? |
[02:37] | Once I tell youwhy I’m here, | 我来这的原因 |
[02:39] | you’ll realizethis visit pains me far more than it does you. | 跟你比起来 让我更痛苦 |
[02:44] | Let’s get to that part then. | 切入正题吧 |
[02:47] | You know I’m on the republicannational committee. | 你知道 我是共和党全国委员会的一员 |
[02:52] | What do you think,honestly,of john cain? | 实话说 你怎么看待约翰-迈凯恩? |
[02:56] | yes,that perceptionappears to be shared. | 是啊 大家都有这个共识 |
[02:59] | Next question–do you knowhow W. Got to be president? | 下个问题 你知道布什怎么当上总统的么? |
[03:03] | His S.A.T.Scores? | 高考分数高? |
[03:05] | – We picked him,not because ofhis intelligence… – gee. | – 我们提名的 不是因为他有才… – 呦 |
[03:08] | – Or that he wasa great speaker… – no? | – 也不是因为他擅长演讲… – 不是么? |
[03:10] | But because he tracks. | 是因为他履历良好 |
[03:12] | He was a cowboy. He was somebody we could sellto the american public. | 他是个牛仔 是我们能推荐给美国公众的人 |
[03:17] | John mccain… isn’T. | 约翰-迈凯恩…则不然 |
[03:19] | Get to the punch line,paul. I’m not feeling your pain. | 切入要害吧 Paul 我没感觉到你的痛苦 |
[03:22] | Because I havea relationship with you,I’ve been asked to ask you… | 因为咱俩是朋友 他们让我来问你… |
[03:30] | how would you feelabout running for president? | 你想去竞选总统么? |
[03:33] | There. I’ve done my duty. Just say no. I’ll be gone. | 好了 我职责尽到了 你快拒绝 然后我就走 |
[03:39] | President? Of the united states? | 美国… 总统? |
[03:42] | I can tell themyou passed then? | 我告诉他们 你放弃了 |
[03:45] | Denny Crane… | Denny crane… |
[03:48] | commander in chief. | 总司令 |
[03:54] | I like it. | 我爱死了 |
[04:22] | Boston Legal Season04 Episode19 | 波士顿法律 |
[04:26] | don’t be ridiculous. | 别开玩笑了 |
[04:28] | They’re considering me and ten others. | 我是11个候选人之一 |
[04:30] | Evidently,my appearance on the larry king show went through the roof. | 显然我参加的脱口秀 效果好到爆 |
[04:32] | – Denny – The public loves me,as expected. – Denny– | – 不出所料 大家都喜欢我 |
[04:34] | I’m not supposed to be telling you anything,by the way. | 对了 我不应该跟你透漏的 |
[04:37] | You know nothing. | 你一无所知 |
[04:38] | Do they know you have mad cow? | 他们知道你有疯牛病么? |
[04:40] | They’re looking for the next ronald reagan,and he had it at the very end. | 他们在寻找罗纳德-里根第二 终于找到了 |
[04:43] | Ronald reagan didn’t have a hooker fetish. | 里根可不迷恋妓女 |
[04:45] | Please. I’m an emperor. | 拜托 我是皇帝 |
[04:47] | denny,no offense,but this is beyonderrepostous,beyond. | Denny 无意冒犯 荒谬已经不能形容 |
[04:52] | Why? | 为什么? |
[04:53] | Bigger nut jobs have been floated in the past– | 历史上有数不尽的更疯的人 |
[04:55] | lee iacocca,donald trump,jesse ventura. | 李-艾科卡 唐纳德-特朗普 杰西-文图拉 |
[04:58] | Why not me? | 我怎么不行? |
[04:59] | Denny,you don’t think before you speak. | Denny 你说话不走大脑 |
[05:02] | You barely speak the english language. | 说的简直不是话 |
[05:04] | You always have to get your way. | 非得一意孤行 |
[05:05] | You’d never get along with other countries. | 你肯定会和别的国家闹僵 |
[05:08] | For god sake,what would possess the republican party– | 上帝啊 共和党吃错什么药… |
[05:11] | heir apparent. | 世袭制 |
[05:14] | This must be a joke. | 这绝对是开玩笑 |
[05:15] | I’m being vetted by six committee members this afternoon. | 下午会有六个党委员考察我 |
[05:18] | I pass that test… | 要是过了这次考核 |
[05:21] | top secret. | 机密 |
[05:42] | hello. | 你好 |
[05:44] | Hel-hello. | 你好 |
[05:49] | – m-may I help you? – You may. | – 需要帮忙么? – 是的 |
[05:51] | My name is renee winger. | 我是Renee Winger |
[05:52] | I was denied employment by a company guilty of pervasive and systemic gender bias. | 一个彻头彻尾的性别歧视的公司 拒绝录用我 |
[05:57] | Might I count on you to be my attorney? | 能请你做我的律师么? |
[06:00] | May I ask,what company are you looking to sue? | 请问你要起诉什么公司? |
[06:03] | The archdiocese. | 天主教区 |
[06:07] | The archdiocese of boston? | 波士顿天主教区? |
[06:09] | Yes. I seek to be a priest. | 是的 我想作一名牧师 |
[06:12] | don’t we all. | 我还想呢… |
[06:16] | You are a woman. | 你是个女人啊 |
[06:20] | Okay,thank you. | 好的 谢谢 |
[06:22] | Now will be fine. | 现在就行 |
[06:25] | No arraignment yet. | 尚未提起诉讼 |
[06:26] | The D.A.Wants to meet. | 检察官想要与我们会面 |
[06:28] | Which means they’re willing to make a deal. | 表示他们准备和我们做交易 |
[06:29] | Dana,I don’t think we can represent you. | Dana 恐怕我们不能代理你 |
[06:32] | They’ll most likely ask you to flip your employer,and that would be lorraine. | 很可能会要求你供出你的老板 也就是Lorraine |
[06:35] | I don’t plan to flip anybody. | 我不会供出任何人 |
[06:37] | I told lorraine I’d preserve her confidence. I keep my word. | 我答应过Lorraine不会供出她 我会守口如瓶 |
[06:39] | Spare us the self-righteousness,dana. | 别信誓旦旦的了 Dana |
[06:41] | You kept from me you were a call girl. | 你可没告诉我你是个应召女郎 |
[06:44] | look,folks,come on. | 好了 朋友们 |
[06:45] | They got us here dead to rights,flat as a pancake,done,finis,sacre bleu,kaputski. | 我们百分之百玩完了 隔屁着凉了 废了 怂了 撒由那拉 卡巴斯基 |
[06:51] | Jerry,we agreed we’d leave out the foreign languages. | Jerry 你答应过我 不说外语的 |
[06:55] | May I have a word with jerry,please? | 我能单独跟Jerry谈谈么? |
[07:06] | I don’t expect you to be able to reconcile how a woman can have sexual relations with one man | 一个女人可以和一个男人上床 同时却钟爱于另一个男人 |
[07:12] | while being committed to and completely in love with another,but– | 我不奢望你能接受这个观点 但是… |
[07:16] | I really don’t wantto go there. | 我不想谈这些 |
[07:17] | I thank you in advancefor your cooperation. | 我谢谢你了 |
[07:22] | Could we maybe go to dinnerand just talk? | 我们能吃个饭聊聊吗? |
[07:24] | – I’m seeing somebody. – Who? | – 我有对象了 – 谁? |
[07:28] | An inflatable doll,if you must know. | 一个充气娃娃 如果你非要知道的话 |
[07:30] | Patty? | Patty? |
[07:32] | Patty wasn’t inflatable. | Patty可不是充气的 |
[07:33] | This is just a cheap,transitional thing,not that you weren’T. | 只是个无意义的过渡品 就像你一样 |
[07:37] | give me a break,would ya? | 别烦我了 行吗? |
[07:55] | Let me acknowledgefrom the outset,this is a long shot. | 让我首先声明一下 我们的赢面不大 |
[07:59] | Okay. | 好的 |
[08:00] | For whatever reason,your public appearances,most recently on larry king, | 不知为何 你的数次曝光 尤其是最近在脱口秀的节目 |
[08:04] | have been very winningwith our base. | 我们的选民很认同 |
[08:06] | You also have a bit ofa wild west profile that john mccain… | 你那种西部狂野的气质 也是约翰-麦凯恩… |
[08:10] | doesn’t,but there are sues. | 没有的 但还有很多问题 |
[08:12] | You recently appearedbefore the supreme court opposing the death penalty. | 你最近在最高法院反对死刑 |
[08:16] | Hired gun,just in case. | 枪手而以 |
[08:17] | I am for the death penalty. | 我完全支持死刑 |
[08:19] | Always have been,always will be. | 一直如此 永远如此 |
[08:21] | I’d like to playa political rorschach test,a,uh,word association game. | 我想做个墨迹测验 文字联想测试 |
[08:25] | Shoot. | 出招吧 |
[08:26] | I’ll throw out a word. You say the first word that pops into your head. | 我会说一个词 然后你说出首先联想到的词 |
[08:28] | Shoot. | 出招吧 |
[08:29] | – Homosexual. – Shoot. | – 同性恋 – 枪毙 |
[08:30] | – Abortion. – Murder. | – 堕胎 – 谋杀 |
[08:31] | – 911 – The war. – 9/11. | – 战争 |
[08:33] | – Economy. – Democrats. | – 经济 – 民主党人 |
[08:34] | John mccain. | 约翰-麦凯恩 |
[08:35] | – immigration. – No mas. | – 移民 – 不要 |
[08:36] | – Hillary. – pull my finger. | – 希拉里 – 试试看 |
[08:39] | That was very interesting. | 非常有趣 |
[08:41] | – Can we turn to your personal life? – Please. | – 我们谈谈你的私生活吧? – 请便 |
[08:44] | Our background check reveals you enjoy spending time with prostitutes. | 调查显示你喜欢与妓女共度时光 |
[08:48] | Who doesn’t? I like sex. I like women. | 谁不是呢? 我喜欢性爱 我喜欢女人 |
[08:50] | I’ll hump anything in a dress. | 穿裙子的东西我都上 |
[08:52] | I’ll even get down on the floorwith you right now if they’ll turn off the lights. | 我现在就能和你就地缠绵 如果他们把灯关了的话 |
[08:55] | But know this,the american publicwill find it refreshing to finally geta republican candidate | 但要知道 美国大众终于 有一个焕然一新的共和党候选人 |
[09:00] | who’s not a moralistic,sexuallyrepressed, | 不教条主义 风流倜傥 |
[09:03] | crusading hypocrite who cruises airport mens’ roomslate at night. | 不像某个改革伪君子 半夜溜到机场男厕所 |
[09:07] | Denny crane rides highin the saddle. | Denny Crane向来光明磊落 |
[09:09] | I’ll go into officewith my boots on,I’ll die with my boots on. Next? | 生为革命生 死为革命死 下一个? |
[09:14] | – Alan Shore – What about him? | – 他怎么了 – Alan shore. |
[09:16] | He expresses many anti-american views. | 他发表了很多反美言论 |
[09:18] | Which I disagree withmost of e time,but I won’t throw hiunder the bus to be president. | 其中大部分我都不同意 但我不会踩着他登上总统宝座 |
[09:24] | What else you got? | 还有什么问题? |
[09:24] | We’re prepared togo forward this year without the blessingof the christian right, | 我们已经做好了 不被右翼基督徒认可的准备 |
[09:28] | but we cannot and will notabandon the values of our most valuableand precious republican base. | 但我们不能 也不会放弃 我们最宝贵的共和党人的价值观 |
[09:35] | I speak,of course,of the N.R.A. | 当然我是指美国枪支协会 |
[09:49] | Bring it on. | 放马过来 |
[10:03] | We have takenmany ridiculous cases,but suing a church– | 我们接过很多奇怪的案子 但控告一个教会… |
[10:07] | that’s guiltyof gender bias. | 他们有性别歧视 |
[10:08] | What,are you sayingwe should have a woman pope? | 你是说我们该有个女教皇? |
[10:10] | There’s evidence ofa female pope called joan around the 9th century. | 证据显示9世纪时有个女教皇名叫Joan |
[10:13] | Records of her were destroyedby subsequent popes. | 她的记录被后来的教皇毁掉了 |
[10:16] | Carl,it’s nota ridiculous case. | Carl 这一点也不荒谬 |
[10:19] | And since it could be perceivedas runaway feminism, | 鉴于我们会被认为太女权主义 |
[10:23] | I really,really thinkit’s important that we have a man at the table. | 我真的真的觉得需要有位男性在场 |
[10:26] | No! No,no,no. | 不! 不 不 不 |
[10:28] | It’s the right thing to do. | 只有这样才行得通 |
[10:29] | And you know what? | 知道吗? |
[10:30] | I’ll bet a reasonable judgewill agree. | 我认为一个讲理的法官会同意的 |
[10:33] | Of all the ridiculous,sacrilegious,blasphemous actsof herve ey I’ver heard. | 这是我听过的最荒谬 亵渎 不敬的事情 |
[10:38] | As forthe unreasonable ones… | 至于不合理… |
[10:40] | you want me to orderthe archdiocese to ordain a woman? | 要我让天主教区任命一个女牧师? |
[10:43] | We are simply asking youto deny their tax-exempt status if they continueto discriminate. | 我只要您否决他们的免税权利 如果他们继续性别歧视 |
[10:48] | Ms. Schmidt,the first amendment to our constitution has something in it called | Schmidt女士 第一修正案里有一条叫做 |
[10:52] | – the establishment clause. – Yes,I’vt.Read i | – 禁止确立国教条款 – 是的 我读过 |
[10:54] | your honor,I wouldrefer you to the case against bob jones university, | 大人 我想提一下诉Bob Jones大学的案件 |
[10:58] | where a religious institution does not allowinterracial dating or marriage, | 宗教学院禁止种族间约会通婚 |
[11:02] | and so they were deniedtaeir x-exempt status. | 所以他们被剥夺了免税权利 |
[11:04] | Bob jones was suedas a school,not a church. | Bob Jones是以学校的身份被起诉的 而不是教会 |
[11:07] | They were sued as a religiouseducational institution. | 他们以宗教教育学院被起诉 |
[11:11] | There are many religions that restrictthe hoiestod,counsel– | 很多教派对牧师都有严格限制 |
[11:15] | orthodox judaism,islam,mormonism,orthodox christianity. | 正统犹太教 伊斯兰 摩门 东正基督教 |
[11:19] | And if they do sosolely on gender,they’re committing a civil rights violation. | 如果他们用性别划分 那他们就践踏了公民权利 |
[11:23] | Well,have you got a witness? | 你有证人吗? |
[11:24] | Yes,I dI’m so glad you asked. Renee. | 我有 真高兴你问了 Renee |
[11:27] | You’re going to like her. | 你会喜欢她的 |
[11:30] | God beckoned me. | 上帝召唤过我 |
[11:40] | Hello. My name’s katie lloyd. This is jerry espenson. | 你好 我是Katie Lloyd 这位是Jerry Espenson |
[11:44] | Hello. Welcome. | 你好 欢迎 |
[11:46] | Well,thank youfor coming in. | 谢谢你们的到访 |
[11:47] | I’m sure you can guesswhat’s on my mind. | 你们应该知道我怎么想的吧 |
[11:49] | We can. | 知道 |
[11:51] | Good. Here’s the offer–she tells us who runs the ring, | 好 是这样 她交代谁是老板 |
[11:55] | agreesto give testimony against this individual or individuals, | 同意对嫌疑人作证 |
[11:57] | we’ll dismiss the charges and give her transactional immunity. | 我们就会撤销起诉 豁免罪行 |
[12:02] | I’d first need to see a copyof the incident report together with a profferof your agent’s testimony | 我想先看看案件报告和你警探的证词 |
[12:07] | so we can knowwhat we’re dealing with in the way of evidence. | 好了解一下证据 |
[12:09] | No problem. We’ll get thatto you right away. | 没问题 我们会马上给你 |
[12:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:15] | It doesn’t strike meas airtight. | 证词也不是无懈可击 |
[12:17] | The language is ambiguous. | 语言十分含糊 |
[12:18] | – Lorraine – No sex actually transpired. – Lorraine. | – 不能确认是否发生性关系 |
[12:21] | I don’t see how I can recommend anything otherthan she accept this offer. | 我不知道除了让她接受外还能做什么 |
[12:25] | Otherwise,she’s looking at jail. | 要不然 她就要坐牢了 |
[12:27] | And if she doestake the deal… | 如果她接受了这个提议… |
[12:29] | well,it’s not like I neverthought this day could come. | 我并不是没想过这一天的到来 |
[12:34] | May I ask why? | 我能问为什么吗? |
[12:36] | You’ve established yourselfas a first-rate attorney. | 你成为了一个一流的律师 |
[12:39] | Why continuewith this brothel business? | 干嘛还继续这个妓院的营生? |
[12:42] | – I did get out for a while. – And? | – 我停止过一段时间 – 然后? |
[12:47] | I missed it. | 我又怀念它了 |
[12:49] | What do you mean,”it’s on”? | 什么叫”开始了”? |
[12:52] | I got past round one. | 我已经通过了第一轮 |
[12:54] | And what’s round two? | 第二轮是什么 |
[12:55] | We meet with a bunch of donors,test the watersto see if we can raise money. | 我们要会见很多捐款人 试试能不能筹到钱 |
[12:59] | – Can you imagine? – No. | – 你能想得到吗? – 不能 |
[13:01] | Denny,would you evenwant to be president? | Denny 你真想做总统吗? |
[13:03] | Think of it,you and ion the oval office balcony, | 想想看 你和我在总统办公室的阳台上 |
[13:07] | scotch,cigars,maybe even an intern. | 威士忌 雪茄 或许再来个实习生 |
[13:10] | Denny,your balcony dayswould be over. | Danny 你的阳台好日子就要一去不返了 |
[13:13] | There’d be sniper assassinsto worry about. | 狙击暗杀就够你担心的了 |
[13:16] | Oh,please. Look,I knowit’s not really gonna happen. I’m not kidding myself. | 拜托 听着 我知道我肯定没戏 我没那么傻 |
[13:24] | But? | 但? |
[13:25] | But just to be considered,to be on the short list,even for a day, | 但有人想到你 出现在替补名单里 哪怕就一天 |
[13:29] | that’s somethingto tell your grandchildren. | 那也是给儿孙的谈资啊 |
[13:31] | I may have a few,by the way. You should check on that. | 对了 我说不定有几个儿孙呢 你应该去查查 |
[13:33] | We are. We’d need to do a background check on you as well. | 已经在查了 我们还要对你也做个背景调查 |
[13:36] | Me? | 我? |
[13:37] | You’re his best friend.We’d need to vet all of his– | 你们可是密友 我们得彻底调查一下 |
[13:39] | if you’ve gotten this far,you’ve already vetted me. | 既然都到这步田地了 肯定已经调查过我了 |
[13:42] | Will you get serious? | 认真点 |
[13:44] | To think I could have my finger on the button… | 想到我也能按那个钮… |
[13:49] | my own nuclear bomb. | 我自己的核弹 |
[13:56] | You want to withdraw because your advicewould be to take the deal, | 你不代理我 是因为你会让我接受他们的提议 |
[13:59] | and you don’t want to act againslorraine’s interests. | 而你也不想损害Lorraine的利益 |
[14:01] | Basically,yes. | 基本上是这样 |
[14:02] | Well,I don’t want the deal. | 我不接受那个提议 |
[14:04] | You don’t have to do this for me. | 你不必为我考虑 |
[14:05] | I’m not doing it for you. | 我没为你考虑 |
[14:07] | When I made my choiceto go into this profession,I did so without shame. | 当我要选择这个职业的时 我不觉得丢人 |
[14:10] | I reject the notionthat it’s immoral,and I won’t be judged for it,especially by you. | 我不认为这很不道德 我不想为此被品头论足 特别是被你 |
[14:15] | You’ll be judgedby the law,dana,which criminalizes– | 法律会来评判 Dana 罪刑… |
[14:17] | a law which is as unreasonableas it is archaic,and I’d like to challenge it. | 完全不合理的法律 陈腐不堪 所以我想改变一下它 |
[14:24] | You can’t mean that. | 不是说真的吧? |
[14:25] | I do mean that. | 我是认真的 |
[14:27] | Is there a mechanismfor challenging the validityof the law itself? | 有没有什么质疑法律有效性的机制? |
[14:32] | Well,our best bet would beto get the matter certified to the massachusettssupreme judicial court and– | 最可行的就是 让马萨诸塞州最高法院来审理 |
[14:37] | that’s what I want to do. | 我们就这么做 |
[14:39] | We’ll take our shothereand then decide… | 我们那样试试 然后决定… |
[14:43] | please stop looking at melike I’m a sexual deviant. | 请别那样盯着我 好像我是个性变态似的 |
[14:45] | Could you do that,jerry? | 行不行 Jerry? |
[14:46] | But you area sexual deviant,dana. | 可你就是性变态 Dana |
[14:48] | You engage in sexual conductfor a fee. | 你卖淫 |
[14:51] | That’s as deviantas it is immoral. | 既变态又淫荡 |
[14:53] | I do judge you,and I’ll ask youto stop looking at me for eitherapproval or sympathy. | 我就是要品头论足你 你也别拿那种无辜的眼神看着我 |
[15:14] | ******Pending a motionbefore the S.J.C.Should we lose, | 在高院审理动议期间 暂时不提起诉讼 要是我们输了 |
[15:18] | you can expect to be formally charged tomorrow. | 明天 你可就会被正式起诉 |
[15:20] | Okay. | 好的 |
[15:23] | I’d like you to argue it,jerry. | 我希望由你来为我辩护 Jerry |
[15:25] | me? Why? | 为什么是我? |
[15:27] | Please. | 拜托了 |
[15:28] | – Denny – Hello. – denny. | – 你好 |
[15:29] | Hello. Pick a card,any card. | 你好 挑一张卡吧 |
[15:32] | We could meet after work,have a wine spitzer. | 我们可以下班后见 喝点小酒 |
[15:40] | Had six wives. | 娶了六个老婆 |
[15:41] | None of them understood me. | 没一个懂我 |
[15:48] | Many of the church’s doctrines have nothing to dowith divine law. | 许多教会的教义与神法毫无关系 |
[15:52] | For example? | 比如? |
[15:53] | Well,celibacy F.One | 比如禁欲 |
[15:55] | priests were not requiredto be celibate until 1139, | 在1139年以前 牧师不必禁欲 |
[15:58] | before whichthey were allowed to have families,usually quite large. | 那是他们可以成家 往往家眷成群 |
[16:01] | Celibacy was a functionof economic pragmatism,not divine law. | 禁欲纯粹是出于经济上的务实 而非神法规定 |
[16:06] | I wouldprobably not be celibate. | 我恐怕很难做到禁欲 |
[16:07] | I am sexually rambunctious. | 我是个性爱狂 |
[16:11] | And may I ask,is this somethingthat’s important to you? | 那请问 作牧师对你来说很重要么? |
[16:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:16] | When I was young,people considered me off. | 在我小的时候 大家都觉得我很另类 |
[16:19] | I was shunned,ostracized. | 大家都躲着我 |
[16:21] | As you can see,it’s still very difficultfor me to talk about it now. | 你也能看得出来 现在我都不愿意 提起从前 |
[16:25] | The catholic churchreached out to me. | 天主教会对我伸出了援手 |
[16:27] | They were a sourceof great comfort. | 给予了莫大的关怀 |
[16:29] | I would like to extendthe nclerae and compassion to others | 我希望把宽容与悲悯赠予更多的人 |
[16:31] | that wasso greatly afforded to me in my time of… | 在那时候 对我来说简直太… |
[16:37] | I apologize. | 很抱歉 |
[16:39] | I didn’t meanto get emotional. | 我太激动了 |
[16:50] | what are you doing? | 干什么呢? |
[16:51] | Here,take a look at this | 来 看看这个 |
[16:54] | if I did run,I couldn’t lose. | 要是我竞选的话 肯定会赢 |
[16:58] | look at her eyes. Mad cow,man. | 看她的眼睛 她也有疯牛病 |
[17:00] | oh,come on. | 别扯了 |
[17:02] | What else could it be? | 还能是什么? |
[17:05] | Makes sense. I’m pretty sure bill’s got it. | 肯定是疯牛病 估计比尔-克林顿也有 |
[17:08] | Could bepost-traumatic stress. | 也可能是创伤后压力症 |
[17:09] | Remember the whiwaterrafting trip with kenneth starr? | 还记得她和Kenneth Starr 在Whitewater的大浪中漂流吗? |
[17:12] | And she took a lotof sniper fire in bosnia,bullets sailing over her headas she ran for cover. | 还有在波斯尼亚 躲避狙击手 飞来飞去的子弹 |
[17:16] | Surprising billin the oval office– that had to besome shock and awe. | 躲在椭圆办公室里吓比尔 肯定有点后遗症 |
[17:19] | Her problem with bill isshe isn’t pretty enough. | 都是因为她不够漂亮 她老公才出轨的 |
[17:21] | She needs to be prettier,like him. | 她需要再漂亮点 像他似的 |
[17:25] | – You think he’s pretty? – What? What areyou talking about? | – 你觉得他很漂亮? – 什么? 这还用问? |
[17:28] | He used to bewhitney houston. | 他长得跟惠特尼-休斯顿一样 |
[17:30] | What about mccain? You’d firsthave to get by him. | 那麦凯恩呢? 你必须先打败他才行 |
[17:32] | Please. Mccain ispatient zero,mad cow. | 拜托 麦凯恩是疯牛病的源头 |
[17:36] | He can’t remember anybodyhe’s met before,so he calls everybody his friend. | 谁的名字他都记不住 所以 他叫谁都是”朋友” |
[17:40] | U know,my friends– thank you all,my friends. | 就像 我的朋友们 谢谢你们 我的朋友 |
[17:42] | My friends–my friends– my friends– that tonight,my friends– | 我的朋友们 我的朋友们 我的朋友们 今晚 我的朋友们 |
[17:45] | well,my friends– so,my friends– so,my friends… | 我的朋友们 那么 朋友们 那么 朋友们 |
[17:49] | they want me to take a physical before I meet wi d theonors. | 他们要我在见捐赠者之前做个体检 |
[17:52] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[17:53] | The,uh,search committee. | 遴选委员会 |
[17:54] | They want me to take a physicalto make sure I’m healthy. Oh,please. | 想让我做个体检 确保我身体健康 |
[17:58] | I can kickmccain’s ass,obama’s,too. | 我可以痛扁麦凯恩 蹂躏奥巴马 |
[18:01] | Hillary I’m not sure of. | 不过 可能打不过希拉里 |
[18:02] | So what,you have to goto one of their doctors? | 那你必须去见他们的医生? |
[18:05] | On the Q.T.At the avalon. | 在阿瓦隆酒店 秘密地检查 |
[18:06] | And that’s where the meetingwith the donors is. | 和捐赠者见面的地方也在那 |
[18:08] | How could they possiblytake it this far? | 怎么会进展到这步了? |
[18:11] | I’m a wanted man,alan. Wanted. | 这就叫众望所归 众望所归 |
[18:20] | You expect me to overturnthe law against prostitution in the commonwealth? | 你想让我推翻本州禁止卖淫的法律? |
[18:24] | Yes,your honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[18:26] | Or in the alternative,schedule a hearing before the fullsupreme judicial court to determine | 或者 在最高法院安排一次听证会 |
[18:29] | whether the statuteis arbitrary,unreasonable,and therefore unconstitutionalon its ass. | 判断这条法律是否独断 无理 是否 有”违宪”二字写在其 腚上 |
[18:34] | Face. | 脸上 |
[18:36] | Okay,why don’t you startby telling me why it’s unreasonable? | 那你来告诉我 它为什么无理? |
[18:40] | Gladly. | 很愿意 |
[18:50] | It’s estimatedthat legalizing prostitution | 据估计 卖淫合法化 |
[18:52] | would decrease the rape ratein this country by 25%. | 可以减少本国25%的强奸率 |
[18:57] | That alone should meritthe court’s consideration. | 即便这一点 就值得贵庭好好考虑 |
[18:59] | Moreover,criminalizing prostitution doesn’t make it go away. | 另外 将卖淫定为非法 并不能消灭它 |
[19:03] | It just renders itmore dangerous. | 只能使其更加危险 |
[19:05] | Why not regulate the profession? | 为什么不将该职业规范化呢? |
[19:08] | Employ and ensuresafety measures that would reduce the riskof A.I.D.S., S.T.D.S. | 确保安全措施 能大大降低 艾滋病和性传染病的风险 |
[19:13] | We could also ensure thatthe women are less exploited,be it with insurance befits– | 还能确保性工作者不被过度剥削 不论是保险福利 |
[19:17] | I am offended by the idea thatthis doesn’t victimize women. | 这还不算摧残女性吗? 太令我反感了 |
[19:20] | It’s legal in nevada… | 在内华达州这是合法的 |
[19:21] | – what isn’t in nevada? – And rhode island,canada… | – 在内华达州还有什么不合法? – 还有在罗德岛 加拿大… |
[19:22] | – this is an issuefor the legislature…not the court. – many,many countries… | – 这是立法机构的事 与司法机构无关 – 还有许多许多国家 |
[19:25] | – Argentina,australia,england,brazil… – I don’t carewhat other countries do. | – 我不管别的国家怎么做 – 包括阿根廷 澳大利亚 英格兰 巴西… |
[19:28] | – New zealand,norway,peru,ireland,italy,germany… – we do not follow,we lead… | – 我们不能跟风 我们才是标杆… – 新西兰 挪威 秘鲁 爱尔兰 意大利 德国 |
[19:30] | – And we certainly do not conformour moral code to coincide– – greece,iceland,mexico switzerland.let me finish! | – 我们在道德问题上决不妥协 – 希腊 冰岛 墨西哥 瑞士 让我说完! |
[19:34] | Who are you lookingto protect? | 你到底是在保护谁? |
[19:36] | My investigators have seen youwith ms. Strickland. | 我的调查员发现 你和Strickland女士有往来 |
[19:40] | Hey,you want to go after me,sweetheart? Take your shot. | 嘿 宝贝 你想找我的麻烦? 来啊! |
[19:42] | I will go after youif you have broken the law. | 要是你犯了法 我会亲自找你麻烦 |
[19:45] | Your honor,this lawis aboutmposing a morality. | 法官大人 这条法律只是为了推销道德 |
[19:47] | What’s more,it doesn’t work. | 而且 它根本不起作用 |
[19:49] | Prostitution exists. It always will. | 卖淫现在存在 将来也不会消失 |
[19:52] | Driving it undergroundmakes it more dangerous. | 将其逼入地下只能使其更危险 |
[19:54] | It establishes a base camp,if you will,for organized crime, | 成了滋生有组织犯罪的温床 |
[19:57] | for other criminal enterprises,including the child sex trade,slave trafficking– | 包括儿童性交易 奴隶贸易… |
[20:01] | he is talking in circles. | 他在转着圈说话 |
[20:02] | How about we take this moneyearmarked for prosecutions | 我们为什么不把用于起诉的钱 |
[20:06] | and dedicate itto A.I.D.S. Awareness,sex education? | 用来宣传爱滋 进行性教育? |
[20:10] | 25% of americanfemale teenagers between 14 and 19now have some formf S.T.D. | 在美国有25%的14-19岁女孩患上性病 |
[20:16] | Meanwhile,we see more and moreabstinence programs popping up, | 同时 节欲项目却如雨后春笋般冒出 |
[20:19] | schools forbiddento talk about condoms. That’s what’s criminal. | 学校禁止谈论避孕套 这才是违法的 |
[20:23] | And legalizing prostitution– | 而卖淫合法化 |
[20:24] | will end up with fewerprostitutes in the morgue. | 就不会有这么多妓女横尸停尸房了 |
[20:29] | And given that it’s a multi-billion-dollar industry anyway,why not tax it? | 这个怎么说也是个几百万美金的产业 为什么不对它收税呢? |
[20:35] | Why not use it to help buildthe hospitals and schools that politicianspromise to deliver, | 为什么不用它来帮助建造 那些政客们承诺过的医院 学校 |
[20:40] | but never get around to ’cause many of them are too busyhanging out with hookers? | 但是从来没抽出时间来做 因为他们中间很多人忙于和妓女约会 |
[20:43] | We could usethat money,judge. We’re in a war. We have a deficit. | 我们可以利用那笔钱 法官阁下 我们处于战争状态 我们存在赤字 |
[20:46] | Billions of dollars–why give it to criminals when we can use itto support our troops? | 几百万美金 本可以来支援我们的 军队的钱 为什么要给罪犯呢? |
[20:52] | Trump card! I said it. | 王牌! 我说的 |
[20:54] | Support our troops. I win! | 支持我们的军队 我赢了! |
[21:18] | thank you. | 谢谢 |
[21:20] | May I askwhat you’re doing here? | 能问一下你来干吗? |
[21:23] | Denny invited me. | Denny邀请了我 |
[21:24] | Don’t worry. I won’t tell. I’m very loyal to the party. | 别慌 我不会说的 我对党一片赤诚 |
[21:28] | Of course,one might questionyour loyalty– | 当然让Denny Crane当总统侯选人 |
[21:31] | offering denny craneas a presidential candidate. | 别人会质疑你的忠诚 |
[21:35] | You think it’s my idea? | 你以为是我的点子? |
[21:37] | My only hope is that these peoplecome to their senses. | 我只希望这些人尽快恢复理智 |
[21:40] | On the other hand,john mcsnore doesn’t winthe logic prize either. | 另一方面 约翰-麦打鼾也不怎么有逻辑 |
[21:45] | Where is denny? | Denny在哪? |
[21:47] | I believe he’s gettinghis physical. | 我相信他在做身体检查 |
[21:50] | So you weren’t toldto bring your records? | 没人要你带上医疗记录? |
[21:51] | Why don’t you just takemy blood pressure,and let’s get on with this? | 你为什么不就测量下血压就算了? |
[21:55] | I took your blood pressure,mr. Crane. | 我已经量了你的血压 Crane先生 |
[21:56] | That was not a polygraph. | 那不是测谎仪 |
[21:58] | – Now you’ll need an E.K.G. – What for? | – 现在要做心电图 – 干什么的? |
[22:01] | To check your heart. | 来检查你的心脏 |
[22:02] | It’s to make sure that youdon’t keel over and die. | 来确保你不会突然倒下完蛋 |
[22:04] | Oh,judas priest. | 哦 奶奶的 |
[22:06] | We certainly teach thatmen and women are equal. | 我们的确宣扬男女是平等的 |
[22:09] | But… | 但是 |
[22:10] | but they have different rolesthat are divinely bestowed. | 神赋予了他们不同的职责 |
[22:13] | This isan authoritarian teaching called complementarity. | 这是一种独裁教义 被称为补充 |
[22:16] | Complementarity? | 补充? |
[22:17] | Yes. It’s not sexism. | 是的 这不是蔑视女性 |
[22:19] | We believe in the plan of god. | 我们相信上帝的安排 |
[22:22] | Men and womencomplement each other,and thereby occupydifferent positions. | 男人和女人形成互补 因此占有不同的位置 |
[22:27] | Separate but equal? | 分开但又平等? |
[22:28] | Spend a day with the nuns. | 和修女相处一天 |
[22:30] | You might concludethey’re a little more equal. | 你的结论也许是非常平等 |
[22:32] | That would be funny… | 那肯定好笑 |
[22:34] | if it wasn’t sexist. | 如果不是男权主义 |
[22:35] | Women can head state and national and internationalcatholic institutions. | 女人可以成为州立的 国立的 甚至国际天主教协会的头 |
[22:40] | But when it comes to being a priest… | 但是当我们说到当牧师 |
[22:42] | that role is reserved for men. | 这个角色是为男人专供的 |
[22:43] | You realize,your holiness,that a majority of catholicsin this country now favor womenin the priesthood? | 教皇 你知道现在这个国家的大多数 天主教庭赞成女人成为神父 |
[22:49] | We don’t modify doctrineto comply with opinion polls. | 我们没有根据民意调查修改教义 |
[22:52] | Oh,come on. Sure you do. | 哦得了 你肯定修改了 |
[22:55] | The church once defended slaveryas willed by god you modified that doctrine. | 教堂曾经辩护奴隶制度是神的意愿 修改了这条 |
[23:00] | Then there was the persecutionof witches,you know,with the big rocks… | 然后就是对女巫的迫害 你知道的 用大岩石 |
[23:04] | torture. | 折磨 |
[23:05] | and let’s not forget the crimesof the inquisition. | 让我们不要忘了宗教裁判所犯下的罪行 |
[23:08] | All of those werecatholic church doctrines adjusted according topopular opinion. | 这些都是根据通俗观点调整过的 天主教教义 |
[23:12] | And let’s not forget that youonce condemned homosexuality | 也不要忘了你曾经指控同性恋 |
[23:15] | as an intrinsicand moral evil,but–oh,wait. | 是作为一项本质的道德的邪恶 但… 哦等等 |
[23:19] | That one still stands. | 这一项还成立 |
[23:22] | Your holiness,I have great respect and well,appreciationfor the catholic church. | 教皇 我天主教堂怀着无比的尊重 和善意感激之情 |
[23:27] | How could I not? After all,I’m a jew. | 我怎么不怀感激之情呢? 毕竟我是犹太人 |
[23:29] | You made one of ours almighty. | 你使我们其中一人成为万能的主 |
[23:34] | But this woman thing… | 但是这个关于女人的事情 |
[23:36] | the truth is,in many cities,women are beingsecretly ordained by roman catholic, | 事实上 在很多城市 女人们都秘密被认为这事没错的 |
[23:41] | male bishops who believe it isthe right thing to do. | 罗马天主教男性主教授予圣职 |
[23:44] | Those bishops do soat the risk of excommunication. | 这些主教面临被逐出教会的危险 |
[23:47] | – Even the mere mention of- – wait a second. | – 就算是提一下… – 等等 |
[23:49] | So one could havea glorious catholic career,rise to the positionof bishop,yet, | 人们可以拥有一个显赫的天主教生涯 提到主教的位置 但 |
[23:54] | if you areto so much as whisper,”hey,maybe womenshould be ordained,” | 如果他小声的嘀咕了句 嘿 也许女人应该被授予圣职 |
[23:59] | you’d be excommunicated? | 就会被驱逐出教吗? |
[24:08] | It sounds like… | 这听起来像… |
[24:09] | somebody somewherehas got something against women. | 某人某地利对妇女有点偏见 |
[24:18] | I find you attractive. | 我发现你很有魅力 |
[24:26] | Why couldn’t we do thisat a regular doctor’s office? | 为什么我们不就在一个普通的 医务室做检查? |
[24:29] | You’re askingthe wrong person. | 你问错了人 |
[24:31] | All I was told is,it’s security,and we need to set upseparate facilities in here. | 我所知道的就是 安全原因 我们要在这而再设个站 |
[24:35] | Why you people have to beso damn secretive is beyond me. In here. | 为什么你们这帮人比我还神神秘秘 进来 |
[24:44] | surprise! | 惊喜! |
[24:59] | gotcha,denny. Gotcha. | 整到你了Denny 整到你了 |
[25:01] | Ladies and gentlemen… | 女士们 先生们 |
[25:03] | Denny Crane! I give to you the nextpresident of the united states– denny crane! | 让我为你们引见下一任美国总统 |
[25:18] | so… this is a joke? | 那这都是玩笑? |
[25:22] | mike bradycame up with the idea,it just took on a life, | Mike Brady想出这个主意 越滚越大 |
[25:27] | and–and we figured,why not make a party out of it? | 我们想 为什么不开个派对闹大点呢? |
[25:32] | so I–I’m–I’m not reallyrunning for president? | 那我不是真的要竞选总统? |
[25:39] | may I have your attention,please? | 大家请注意! |
[25:44] | I’m special hnt jo sharpe of the fedal bureauof investigation. | 我是联邦调查局的特探Jo Sharpe |
[25:48] | I need you allto get down on your knees and put your handson top of your heads,now. | 现在请所有人蹲下 把手举起来 |
[25:52] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[25:53] | Do it now,sir. | 先生请照我说的做 |
[25:55] | This is a roomful of lawyers,you know– | 你知道吗 这是一满屋子律师 |
[25:57] | sir,I’m runningthis party now. | 先生 现在由我说了算 |
[25:59] | – You’re all under arrest for theft by false pestens. – What? | – 你们因欺诈罪被捕 – 什么? |
[26:02] | We have been informedof a fund-raising scheme | 有人举报说有有个筹款计划 |
[26:04] | intended to raise sums of moneyfor an individual fraudulently posingas a presidential candidate. | 装成总统候选人而骗人钱财 |
[26:09] | No. no,no,no,no,no. | 不 不不不不 |
[26:11] | Sir,down on your knees,please. | 先生 请蹲下 |
[26:14] | Look,we’re not reallyasking for money. | 瞧 我们不是真的为了要钱 |
[26:17] | It’s a practical joke. | 这是个恶作剧 |
[26:18] | We’re all in on it. | 我们都熟知内情 |
[26:20] | I’m–I’m not in on it. | 我 我不知道 |
[26:21] | A practical joke? | 恶作剧? |
[26:22] | Yes,on this man–denny crane. | 是的 耍这个男人 Denny Crane |
[26:25] | He was the one deceived. Nobody’s actuallybeing solicited for money.No transaction– | 他是被骗的那个人 没有人真的要捐款 没交易 |
[26:30] | is this true,sir? Are they all in on it? | 是真的吗先生 他们都知道? |
[26:32] | I don’t know. I-I can’t believethat harry beckett is in on it. | 我不知道 我不相信 Harry Beckett参与其中 |
[26:36] | And sandra cook? She hasn’t gota mean bone in her body. | 还有Sandra Cook 她绝对不会有一丝卑贱的想法 |
[26:40] | Mitch. You wereat all six of my weddings. | Mitch 你参加了我6次婚礼 |
[26:44] | All these people–they know me,we go way back– | 所有这些人 他们都知道我 我们都是密友 |
[26:47] | and they of all peopleshould know… | 而他们所有人都应该知道 |
[26:53] | that you can’t getthe master. | 你们是将不了我的军的 |
[26:55] | You all have the rightto remain silent. | 你们都有权保持缄默 |
[26:57] | You have all been had by mr. Denny crane. | 你们都被Denny Crane先生骗了 |
[26:59] | – What? | – 什么? – 什么? – what? |
[27:00] | Maestro. | 大师 |
[27:05] | amateurs,all of ya. | 业余级 所有的人 |
[27:09] | what’s the matter, paul?You don’t look so good. | 怎么了Paul? 你脸色不怎么好 |
[27:12] | Start the party. | 开始派对 |
[27:36] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[27:39] | We lost. | 我们输了 |
[27:40] | Evidently,the judgedidn’t go for the idea of using prostitution to fund the war. | 明显法官不支持用嫖娼业的钱打仗 |
[27:45] | So we go to trial. | 得上庭 |
[27:46] | Your arraignment is scheduledfor tomorrow at 9:00 A.M. | 明早九点提讯 |
[27:49] | And my chances of winning? | 我赢的机会呢? |
[27:53] | Not great. | 不是很大 |
[27:55] | Dana,you do have to considerthis deal they’re offeng. | Dana 你得考虑下他们的条件 |
[28:01] | – Can I talk to jerryfor a minute? – Certainly. | – 我能跟Jerry单独谈谈吗? – 当然 |
[28:10] | I’m sorry. I spun a little out of controlin my argument. | 对不起 我的辩词有点太过了 |
[28:15] | I didn’t really expectto win,jerry. | 我没想过会赢 Jerry |
[28:19] | The reason,uh,I even wanted to try,the reason I specificallywanted you to argue… | 我想要庭审 并点名让你辩护 |
[28:26] | I read of the,uh,the phenomenon | 是因为我读到 |
[28:29] | where lawyers invariablycome to believe in the meritsof their arguments. | 律师总是会相信他们的辩词 |
[28:34] | I wanted you to believe… | 我希望你相信 |
[28:37] | that I’m not a criminal. | 我没有罪 |
[28:39] | I wanted you to be convincedthat I’m not amoral. | 我希望你坚信 我不是道德沦丧 |
[28:46] | Because I want desperatelyto get back with you. | 因为我做梦都想和你复和 |
[28:55] | Is that a possibility? | 有可能吗? |
[29:01] | No. | 没 |
[29:05] | Okay. | 行 |
[29:08] | Well,uh… I… | 那么 |
[29:11] | I guess I’ll,uh,I’ll see you in court then. | 那我们法庭上见了 |
[29:47] | Your honor,the plaintiff is asking you to invalidate church law | 法官大人 原告想让您以不合理为由 |
[29:52] | on the groundsthat it’s unreasonable. | 废除教会法规的效力 |
[29:55] | This is religion,for god sake. | 这可是宗教啊 |
[29:57] | We don’t hold religionand faith up to standardsof reasonableness. | 宗教和信仰不受合理性约束 |
[30:02] | Why shouldn’t we? | 凭什么不? |
[30:03] | Does it really make sense thatgod got mad at the human race and drowned them all, | 上帝生人类气了 把他们 包括孩子 还有动物都淹死了 |
[30:08] | including children and all the animalsexcept two of each,which survived on a big boat? | 却赏一人一动物艘船 饶他们不死 这什么道理? |
[30:13] | Do christians literally believe the earth was madein seven days? | 基督教徒都信地球是在七天内造出来的? |
[30:19] | Religion–some of it is out there. | 宗教 有些无法解释 |
[30:22] | But we a have the rightto believe in what we choose. | 但是我们都有权去选择 去相信 |
[30:27] | That’s the pointof the establishment clause. | 禁止确立国教条款的意义就在于此 |
[30:29] | One of the many reasonsamerica came into being was | 建立美利坚合众国的原因之一 |
[30:34] | so that we as a people could be free to practicethe religion of our choice. | 在于我们人民可以自由信仰宗教 |
[30:40] | Now one doesn’t have to lovethe tenants of catholicism. | 不用非得接受天主教的教义 |
[30:44] | Ms. Winger is certainly freeto choose another faith. | Winger小姐当然可以选择信仰其它宗教 |
[30:48] | But paramountto the catholic religion | 但是对天主教信仰来说 |
[30:52] | is a male priesthood. | 牧师只能是男性 |
[30:55] | It’s not just the catholics. | 不止天主教 |
[30:57] | Orthodox judaism segregatesmen and women in the synagogue. | 还有正统犹太教 在会堂里搞男女隔离 |
[31:00] | Girls have to sit in the backor the balcony. | 女孩只能坐在后面或者阳台上 |
[31:03] | They also don’t allow womento be rabbis. | 女性也不能成为拉比 |
[31:05] | Islam–forget about it. | 伊斯兰教 得了吧 |
[31:06] | They don’t even let womenshow their faces. | 他们都不让女人露出脸来 |
[31:10] | The ugly fact is that we’re okaywith bigotry in this country as long as it’s cloakedin faith. | 在我国 只要裹上宗教的外衣 偏见就会被容忍 |
[31:15] | And the prejudiceisn’t limited to women. | 不仅女人受到偏见 |
[31:17] | You think we’ll ever eliminategay bashing while giving tax breaksto institutions | 教会宣称同性恋是罪孽 政府却又给他们减税 |
[31:21] | who declare that homosexualityis a moral sin,an evil? | 这样有可能消灭同性恋歧视吗? |
[31:25] | Whether it’s persecution ofthe christians in ancient rome or the holocaustduring world war ii | 不管是古罗马对基督教徒的迫害 二战时的大屠杀 |
[31:29] | or bosnia today,where we havean ethnic genocide in progress, | 还是现在的波斯尼亚 有计划地搞种族灭绝 |
[31:33] | religion has a mean legacy. | 宗教 不是种好的传承啊 |
[31:36] | This isn’t about bosnia. | 这跟波斯尼亚无关 |
[31:37] | Why would you have to travelthe globe to make a point,mr. Sack, | 你用不着环游地球来证明观点 |
[31:41] | if your argument held waterhere at home? | 如果你的观点在本地站得住脚 |
[31:44] | You want me to keep it local? Fine with me. | 你想说本地的 行 |
[31:46] | Pat robertson. He’s a popular guy. | Pat Robertson 他很出名 |
[31:48] | He referred to presbyteriansand episcopalians and methodists | 他说基督教长老会 新教圣公会 美以美教派 |
[31:53] | as the spirit of antichrist. | 都是反基督 |
[31:55] | He’s also rumored to haveblamed katrina on the fact | 据传他怪罪卡特林娜飓风 |
[31:58] | that ellen degeneres–a lesbian– lived in new orleans. | 是因为Ellen Degeneres住在新奥尔良 她是同性恋 |
[32:01] | Jerry falwell saidthat 9/11 happened | Jerry Falwell说 911事件 |
[32:04] | because of god’s wrathagainst homosexuals. | 是上帝对同性恋的报应 |
[32:11] | I’m a spiritual man. | 我信教 |
[32:13] | I go to temple. I pray. I believe in god. | 我去教堂 我祈祷 我信仰上帝 |
[32:17] | But we cannot deny that religionis one place where we allow hate | 但无可辩驳的是 |
[32:18] | and oppressionand as it seeks safe discrimination to fester havenin the constitution. | 宗教以宪法为保护伞 仇恨 压迫和歧视横行 |
[32:28] | The catholic church,bdenyingthe priesthood to women,is guilty of gender bias. | 天主教堂禁止女性做牧师 就是性别歧视 |
[32:34] | Simple as that. | 就这么简单 |
[32:37] | It should stop. | 他们该改改了 |
[32:41] | and there goesmy humanitas award. | 我要得人文大奖了 |
[32:54] | jerry. She didn’t show. | Jerry 她没来 |
[32:56] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[32:57] | Dana. She skipped arraignment. There’s a warrant outfor her arrest. | Dana 她没去提审 已经发出了逮捕令 |
[33:00] | Did y e saanything about this to you? | 她跟你说起过吗? |
[33:01] | No. She just said good-bye. | 没 她只说了再见 |
[33:04] | Well,she’S… | 她 |
[33:10] | dana strickland seems to havedisappeared,lor ine. Would you know anything that? | Dana Strickland失踪了 Lorraine 你知道怎么回事吗? |
[33:15] | No. | 不知道 |
[33:16] | Wouldn’t have facilitated her fleeing the jurisdiction,by chance? | 你没协助她逃跑? |
[33:20] | That would make mean accomplice to a crime. | 那可是协助犯罪 |
[33:37] | I-I simply have to know. | 我得知道 |
[33:38] | Did you knowright from the beginning? | 你从一开始就知道吗? |
[33:42] | You had mefor about an hour. | 你蒙了我一个小时 |
[33:44] | Your problem is,I know chris andrews,insider. | 问题是 我认识Chris Anders 内线 |
[33:47] | He and dick cheneyshoot lawyers together. | 他和切尼一起打律师 |
[33:49] | One phone call,I knew what you were up to. | 一个电话 就知道你打的什么算盘了 |
[33:53] | When are you gonna learn,paul? You can’t fool… | 你什么时候才能长记性 Paul 你糊弄不了… |
[33:59] | Denny Crane | denny crane. |
[34:01] | Did you bring my money? | 钱拿来了吗? |
[34:05] | Thank you,paul. | 谢谢 Paul |
[34:06] | And thank you for going tothe great lengths you did, | 谢谢你和这么一大群人 |
[34:09] | along withall those other people,to try and humiliate me. | 大费周折一起来羞辱我 |
[34:13] | Really made me feel good. | 让我感觉很好 |
[34:17] | You know,denny,I didn’t really intend for it to come offas mean-spirited. | Denny 我不是恶意的 |
[34:24] | As it did. | 但确实是 |
[34:28] | See you,auL. | 再见了 Paul |
[34:37] | I’m a lucky man,huh? | 我很走运 |
[34:41] | Denny | Denny… |
[34:43] | practical jokesare very complicated. | 恶作剧很复杂 |
[34:47] | Some of themare mean-spirited,but typically,there isaffection involved,too. | 有些是恶意的 但通常都掺杂着爱意 |
[34:54] | They’re not played on enemies. They’re played on friends. | 恶作剧不是开在敌人身上的 是朋友 |
[34:57] | With friends like that… | 这种朋友 |
[34:59] | you’re a successful,powerful man of whom many peopleare probably jealous. | 你事业成功 有权有势 很多人都嫉妒你吧 |
[35:06] | As strong as friendship is,maybe it’s no match for envy. | 友谊尽管坚固 却不是嫉妒对手 |
[35:12] | I gotta keep reminding myselfat’s important here. | 我必须一直提醒自己 什么重要 |
[35:16] | Which is? | 什么呢? |
[35:18] | They didn’t get me. | 他们没整到我 |
[35:20] | I got them. | 我把他们整了 |
[35:24] | Yes,you did. | 是啊 确实是 |
[35:29] | Ah,all right. | 好了 |
[35:30] | I must confess,every timeI hear some feminist complaining aboutwomen’s rights, | 每次听到女权主义者抱怨妇女权益 |
[35:35] | I mutter to myself,”oh,go to hell.” | 我就自言自语 下地狱吧 |
[35:38] | Last night,I d a dream– e that I’ve had before,mind you. | 昨晚我做了个梦 以前也做过 |
[35:42] | I arrive at the pearly gates,I’m introduced to god. | 我站在珍珠之门门口 介绍我和上帝认识 |
[35:46] | She’s a woman. | �k是个女人 |
[35:47] | She stands therewith her arms folded,and she asks, | �k抄着手站在那儿 问 |
[35:51] | “and where did you stand on women’s rights,your honor?” | 妇女权益这个问题你站在哪边 法官? |
[35:55] | And then she says,”go to hell.” | 然后说 下地狱去吧 |
[35:58] | Catholic people are tolerantand intelligent,and I believethey would be open to this. | 天主教徒宽容聪颖 我相信他们对此也会思想开放 |
[36:03] | And I al agree that if the churchis going to discriminate, | 我也赞成 如果教堂要搞歧视 |
[36:06] | the government should at leastnot incentivize their bigotry with tax breaks. | 政府至少不该税收减免来激励他们 |
[36:12] | If we the people are sincere about eliminating discriminationin this country, | 如果人民真的希望在我国消除歧视 |
[36:16] | we can’t tolerate it anywhere,even if it comesin religious form. | 那任何歧视也不能容忍 即使披着宗教的外衣 |
[36:23] | Judgment in favorof the plaintiff. | 判决原告获胜 |
[36:26] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[36:30] | well,congratulations. Expect an appeal. | 恭喜 被告会上诉的 做好准备 |
[36:33] | I am simply wrought. Never did I… | 我太激动了 |
[36:38] | I’m sorry. I need a momentto collect myself. | 对不起 我要镇定一下 |
[36:42] | Take your time. | 慢慢来 |
[36:51] | Can you imagine,denny… | Denny 你能想象吗 |
[36:53] | if you were to leadthis country? | 你要来领导这个国家 |
[36:55] | Wh–we’d have air force oneat our disposal– my own personalmile high club– | 我们可以随便调遣空军一号 离地一里的个人俱乐部 |
[37:01] | hit vegas for the night,copenhagen,bangkok. | 晚上去韦加斯 哥本哈根 曼谷 |
[37:04] | Gotta love a placethat calls itself “bangkok.” | 这个地方起名叫”曼谷” 真可爱 |
[37:06] | Make you ambassador. | 任命你当大使 |
[37:10] | denny,you make me laugh. | Denny 你能让我笑 |
[37:12] | Yeah,I know this sounds crazy,but I think I’d makea fine president. | 说来没人信 我会是个好总统的 |
[37:16] | What would you actually doif you were demmanr inhief? | 如果当上了三军统帅 你会干些什么? |
[37:19] | I’d,uh,stop outsourcingto the chinese, | 停止把产业外包给中国人 |
[37:22] | drop a few bags of grainon africa. | 扔几袋谷子到非洲 |
[37:25] | Is thatwhere they’re starving? | 是那里的人在忍饥挨饿吧? |
[37:27] | Thereand too many other places. | 那里 还有很多别的地方 |
[37:30] | I’d add franceto the axis of evil. Have they done that? | 把法国加入邪恶轴心名单 加了没? |
[37:33] | Matter of time. | 时间问题 |
[37:35] | Then… | 然后 |
[37:37] | I’d invite hillaryinto the oval office… | 我会请希拉里到椭圆办公室去 |
[37:40] | give her a little tasteof honey. | 让她也尝尝蜂蜜的滋味 |
[37:43] | That’s vulgar. | 真下流 |
[37:44] | Well,what do you wantin a president? | 你希望总统是什么样的人? |
[37:46] | Oh,I don’t mean politically. I know where you standon the issues. | 不是说政治上 我知道你的立场 |
[37:49] | But what do you wantin the person? | 你希望他是个什么样的人? |
[37:52] | Well,one who could reestablish some of the dignityto the office. | 可以重塑政府尊严形象的人 |
[37:56] | That would be a good start. | 先这点 |
[37:57] | Dropping trou for hillarywouldn’t do the trick. | 掉裤子给希拉里看无济于事 |
[38:00] | Ah,I was just kidding. Sort of. | 我开玩笑的 算是吧 |
[38:04] | You know what I really thinkof america right now,denny? | 你知道我怎么看现在的美国吗 Denny? |
[38:07] | Oh,here we go. | 又来了 |
[38:08] | I don’t meansimply its politics,but our culture. | 我不是只指政治 还有文化 |
[38:12] | We’ve become such a dumb,fat,bubblegum nation, | 我们都成了又笨又胖 泡泡糖的国度 |
[38:16] | schlocky and superficial– | 低劣肤浅 |
[38:19] | our music,books,television. | 音乐 书 电视 |
[38:21] | One of the heads of nbcrecently said that | NBC电视台的一个高官最近说 |
[38:24] | the plan wasto get people to tune in and mentally tune out. | 计划是让人们换台看他们的节目 然后思想再飘走 |
[38:27] | And this wasn’t an admission,by the way,but a boast. | 这不是被逼承认 而是自吹自擂 |
[38:31] | You’re starting to bore me. | 我开始感到无聊了 |
[38:32] | Is it any wonder that we havea television show called | 奇怪吗 我们有部连续剧叫做 |
[38:35] | “are you smarterthan a second grader?” And a president that isn’t? | “你比二年级生聪明吗?” 总统却不是? |
[38:38] | I so miss a little… | 我真怀念 |
[38:42] | dignityin america. | 美国的尊严 |
[38:46] | I suppose I most worrythat if you ran for president,you might actually win. | 我最担心 如果你去竞选 可能会赢 |
[38:51] | That hurts. Coming from you? | 这话你说真伤人 |
[38:55] | If you stoppedall your nonsense,perhaps you’d bea great leader, | 如果你别再胡闹 或许能成为个伟大的领袖呢 |
[38:57] | but,denny,I don’t want youto stop your nonsense. | 但是 Denny 我不想你不再胡闹 |
[39:00] | Who would I have to play with? | 我跟谁玩去? |
[39:01] | Who would I have to sit onthis balcony with every night? | 我跟谁每天晚上坐在阳台上? |
[39:05] | So you wouldn’t bevoting for me. | 那你不会投票给我喽 |
[39:08] | Probably not. I’m too selfish. | 应该不会 我很自私 |
[39:12] | Plus you… | 还有 |
[39:14] | well,no offense,but it–I think your generation made america intowhat it is today. | 无意冒犯 但是我觉得美国现在这样 是拜你们这代人所赐 |
[39:19] | It’s time for it to beinherited by your children. | 该是你们退下 孩子们大展身手的时候了 |
[39:23] | I think you need to hand over the keys to the carto their leader. It’s time. | 该把接力棒传给下一代的领袖们了 |
[39:29] | Well,maybe I could bepresident for the day. | 说不定哪天我就当上总统了呢 |
[39:32] | Knock over cuba,grab the cigars,bomb iran,then resign. | 打倒古巴政权 抓起雪茄就走 轰炸伊朗 然后辞职 |
[39:35] | there you go. | 做梦 |
[39:36] | That’d be a day,wouldn’t it? | 这一天可真是不一般 是吧? |
[39:39] | Cuba in the morning,iran before lunch– after a matinee with hillary, | 早晨古巴 跟希拉里看场戏 午饭之前伊朗 |
[39:44] | maybe a-a threesomewith ginsburg. Theyoth want me. | 或者跟Ginsburg来场3P 她俩都想要我 |
[39:49] | step down at 4:00. | 四点下台 |
[39:51] | On the balcony here at 5:00for a nightcap with you. | 五点到阳台上来 睡前和你喝杯 |
[39:57] | that’d be a hell of a day. Then go fishing. | 多刺激的一天 然后去钓鱼 |
[40:00] | I’ll drink to that. | 敬钓鱼 |
[40:03] | You’ll drink to anything. | 你什么东西都敬 |
[40:05] | You and me,right here. I drink to that. | 你我 此时此地 敬这个 |
[40:12] | Denny Crane | Denny crane… |
[40:14] | king for a day. | 一日国王 |