时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | previously on BL… | |
[00:02] | I met somebody wonderful. | 我遇到一个很赞的人 |
[00:04] | Fab. And? | 太好了 然后呢? |
[00:05] | And she’s suing me for sexual assault. | 然后她控告我性侵犯 |
[00:09] | You need to talk directly to her and hope she’s persuaded. | 你要开诚布公的说 希望她能听进去 |
[00:12] | Do we have a chance of getting back? | 我们还能重新来过么? |
[00:13] | Yeah,I’d– I’d real like that. | 当然 我也想重新开始 |
[00:15] | Mr Shor you came down here from massachusetts? | Shore先生 你从马萨诸塞州而来? |
[00:18] | Yes. | 是的 |
[00:19] | You know what I’d like to propose? | 你知道我有什么想法吗? |
[00:20] | I’d like to propose that you got a problem with the death penalty in general. | 我觉得你对死刑有异议 |
[00:25] | Now is that why you came here,sir? | 这是不是你来这的原因? |
[00:27] | I have a problem with the state executing a man with diminished capacity. | 我的异议在于 州政府要处决智障 |
[00:56] | Jerry | jerry? |
[00:57] | Katie. Hello. Welcome. Hello. | Katie 你好 欢迎 你好 |
[00:58] | Everything all right? | 你没什么事吧? |
[00:59] | Yes. Hello. Welcome. | 是的 你好 欢迎 |
[01:01] | Jerry,your face is beet red. | Jerry 你的脸红极了 |
[01:02] | Are you sure you’re okay? | 你确定你没事么? |
[01:03] | I’m fine. | 我挺好的 |
[01:04] | I’m not sure you are. | 我不确定 |
[01:07] | Look at his face. He’s completely scarlet. | 看看他的脸 已经是深红色了 |
[01:08] | I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[01:10] | Jerry,look at me. | Jerry 你看着我 |
[01:12] | Has he been drinking? | 他是不是喝高了? |
[01:14] | what’s going on,jerry? | 出什么事了 Jerry? |
[01:16] | Nothin’. | 没事 |
[01:17] | Jerry | jerry. |
[01:22] | I lost my cherry. | 我破处了 |
[01:33] | okay,but first,I’m assuming the sex was safe. | 好吧 首先我希望这次做爱是安全的 |
[01:36] | Of course. | 当然 |
[01:38] | Why are you looking at me like I’ve done something bad? | 为什么你们的眼神 好像是我做了坏事一样? |
[01:41] | I thought sex was supposed to be something wonderful? | 我以为性爱是件美妙的事 |
[01:43] | Well,it is. It is. | 当然是美妙的 |
[01:47] | Was it? | 确实美妙么? |
[01:47] | Yes. It was tender. It was lovely. | 没错 温柔动人 |
[01:52] | It was everything I ever imagined. | 跟我所有的想象一模一样 |
[01:56] | And it was with dana? | 你和Dana做的? |
[01:57] | Of course it was with dana. | 当然是跟Dana |
[01:59] | She’s my girlfriend. | 她是我女朋友 |
[02:00] | Alan | alan. |
[02:01] | Ah,could I steal you for a second? It’s important. | 能占用你几分钟么? 很重要的事 |
[02:04] | I lost my cherry. | 我破处了 |
[02:08] | Alan | alan? |
[02:18] | what’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[02:19] | We have a new client. | 我们有个新委托人 |
[02:20] | He raped an 8-year-old girl. He’s been convicted. | 强奸了一个8岁女孩 被判有罪 |
[02:22] | His lawyer has come to us to handle his appeal. | 他的律师找到我们 帮助上诉 |
[02:23] | Specifically,she asked for you. | 她点名道姓找你 |
[02:25] | I’ll pass. | 我不接 |
[02:26] | The man has been sentenced to death,alan. | 那个男人被判死刑 Alan |
[02:29] | The appeal is before the united states supreme court. | 他们上诉到联邦最高法院 |
[02:32] | The united states supreme court. | 联邦最高法院 |
[03:07] | The argument is scheduled for wednesday. | 辩护安排在周三 |
[03:09] | I brought all the files up with me,so– | 我把相关文件都带来了 |
[03:10] | this wednesday? | 本周三? |
[03:12] | Isn’t this a little last-minute? | 时间太仓促了吧? |
[03:14] | Well,the truth is,I planned to argue it myself, | 本来我打算亲自辩护的 |
[03:16] | but I’ve tried three cases in my life, | 但我才处理过3个案子 |
[03:18] | and I’m not ready for the supreme court. | 经验还不足以上最高法院 |
[03:20] | And you think he is? | 你觉得他能胜任? |
[03:22] | I’ve read the transcript from his death case in texas. | 我看过他在德州 为死刑犯辩护庭审记录了 |
[03:24] | You’re what I’m looking for. | 你就是我要找的人 |
[03:27] | I have a flight waiting to louisiana. That’s where the client is. | 我订好了去路易斯安那的航班 委托人就在那里 |
[03:30] | I’d like for you to meet him. | 我希望你能见一下他 |
[03:35] | did he do it? | 他确实强奸了么? |
[03:36] | He says he didn’T. | 他自称没有 |
[03:37] | He has an I.Q. Of 70,so.. | 他的智商只有70 所以… |
[03:39] | well,executions of the mentally | 判处智力低下的人死刑是违反宪法的 |
[03:42] | he was never officially pronounced disabled. | 他没有正式诊断为残疾 |
[03:44] | A 70 I.Q. Only puts him in range,but in louisiana- | 智商70算是残疾 但在路易斯安那… |
[03:47] | oh,he could be governor. | 在那智障也能当领导 |
[03:49] | I’m from louisiana. | 我也是路易斯安那人 |
[03:51] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[03:53] | It’s just when it comes to jokes or women,I can never resist the cheap ones. | 每次跟女人开玩笑 总是开的很低 |
[03:57] | Are you cheap? | 你的价格低么? |
[03:59] | A-after you meet the client,I’ve arranged for the mooters to be here tonight. | 见过委托人后 我安排了今晚召开审议会 |
[04:03] | The mooters? | 审议会? |
[04:03] | A law firm that preps lawyers to argue before the supreme court. | 一家法律公司 帮助律师准备在最高法院辩护 |
[04:06] | Most have argued there themselves,clerked for the justices. | 他们大部分自己在高院辩护过 为大法官做过助手 |
[04:09] | They’ll tell you how they think,how each one will likely vote. | 他们会告诉大法官们怎么想 每个人大概会投什么票 |
[04:11] | They’ll put you through a mini boot camp to make sure you’re ready. | 他们会对你进行培训 确保你准备妥当 |
[04:14] | in just two days? | 就在两天之内? |
[04:16] | In just two days. | 两天之内 |
[04:21] | fired up? | 来劲了吗? |
[04:22] | Ready to go? | 准备好了没? |
[04:39] | The fact that the supreme court is even willing to listen to your case is a very good thing. | 最高法院接受了你的上诉 这是件好事 |
[04:44] | Will I get to go home? | 那我就能回家了么? |
[04:47] | No,lenny. You–you’ll probably never get to go home. | 不 Lenny 你可能再也不能回家了 |
[04:50] | I explained this. | 我解释过的 |
[04:51] | This is… well,uh,to stop them from executing you. | 这只能…让他们不判处死刑 |
[04:57] | I never was arrested for a crime before. | 我没有犯罪前科 |
[05:01] | You can check. | 你们可以去查 |
[05:02] | I never,ever been arrested or convicted of anything. | 我从没被捕过 或被判有罪过 |
[05:07] | Will you tell them that? | 你能转达给他们么? |
[05:08] | I will. | 我会的 |
[05:09] | And I didn’t do what they said I did. | 我从没做过他们指控的事 |
[05:12] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[05:14] | Make sure you tell them that. | 务必告诉他们 |
[05:17] | That’s really important. | 这十分重要 |
[05:19] | That’s really…important. | 真的…很重要 |
[05:38] | Call her? | 给她打电话? |
[05:40] | Well,it wouldn’t be the worst idea. | 这不是个坏主意 |
[05:42] | What should I say? | 我该说什么呢? |
[05:43] | Well,perhaps exactly what you shared with alan and me, | 就跟你告诉我和Alan的一样 |
[05:46] | that you found it tender,loving… magical. | 你说昨晚温柔动人…欲仙欲死 |
[05:50] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[05:54] | hi,jeY. | 你好 Jerry |
[05:55] | Dana,hello. Welcome. | Dana 你好 欢迎啊 |
[05:56] | I was just about to call you to tell you the sex was tender,loving and magical. | 我正要给你打电话 告诉你昨晚温柔动人 欲仙欲死 |
[06:04] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[06:05] | That’s okay. | 没事的 |
[06:07] | I’ll give you some privacy. | 你俩慢慢聊 |
[06:15] | I just came by to say the same thing,jerry. | 我找你 也是要说同样的事 Jerry |
[06:19] | Last night was really special for me. | 昨晚对我来说很特别 |
[06:21] | It was? | 真的? |
[06:22] | It was everything that making love should be. | 昨晚的性爱很完满 |
[06:25] | You were caring,respectful. | 你体贴温存 恭敬有礼 |
[06:29] | You’re a wonderful man. | 你是个好男人 |
[06:32] | You’re a wonderful woman. | 你也是好女人 |
[06:54] | What a day. | 忙碌的一天 |
[06:56] | It isn’t even over yet. | 没完没了 |
[07:07] | what? | 怎么了? |
[07:09] | Little field trip,alan? | 你去实地考察了 Alan? |
[07:12] | You think you’re going to the supreme court without me? | 你想丢下我 只身前往最高法院? |
[07:16] | Denny,this isn’t your kind of case. | Denny 这不是你擅长的案子 |
[07:18] | If it’s before the supreme court,it’s my kind of case. | 如果是上诉到高院 那就是我擅长的 |
[07:19] | The ient raped a child. | 委托人强奸幼童 |
[07:21] | – Denny… – It’s not about the client. It’s about me. – Denny– | – 跟客户没关系 关键是我 |
[07:24] | the only thing missing from my legacy is an appearance before the highest court in the land. | 这辈子我就差上一次最高法院了 |
[07:28] | My best friend has the power to make that happen,and he didn’t tell me. | 我的铁哥们能帮我如愿 但他却不告诉我 |
[07:33] | denny,the supreme court isn’t the place for my nonsense,much less…yours. | Denny 高院不是听我胡说的地方 更不用说你的了 |
[07:42] | I can behave. | 我能检点一点啊 |
[07:43] | I can suck it up one more time,like I did for my murder trial in january, | 我能承受得了 就像一月的那个谋杀案件 |
[07:48] | when I rose up and proved to the world… | 我站起来 向世人证明… |
[07:51] | I won that,right? | 那案子我赢了 对吧? |
[07:52] | You did. | 没错 |
[07:53] | Alan… | Alan… |
[07:56] | please. | 拜托了 |
[07:58] | I have actually dreamed about this more than anything. | 这是我毕生最大的梦想 |
[08:03] | You’ve never told me that. | 你以前没跟我说过 |
[08:05] | Well,I never thought I’d have the chance. | 我以为 我不可能有这个机会 |
[08:07] | And… | 而且… |
[08:08] | well,I guess I never wanted to admit to myself | 估计我自己也不想承认 |
[08:11] | that there was anything I hadn’t accomplished. | 有什么我没做过的 |
[08:15] | But… to have the chance,my god,you and I,to do this together… | 但…天啊 有机会和你并肩作战… |
[08:26] | that would be everything. | 这意味着一切 |
[08:31] | Are you out of your mind? | 你疯了吗? |
[08:33] | Look,if I do all the talking– | 听着 如果陈述全由我负责… |
[08:35] | denny crane before the supreme court? | Denny Crane出现在最高法院? |
[08:38] | We could sell tickets. | 可以卖票了 |
[08:39] | Alan… | Alan… |
[08:41] | this is not the time,and certainly,definitely not the place. | 这不是乱来的时候 更不是能让你乱来的地方 |
[08:45] | how much harm can he really do? | 他能造成多大麻烦? |
[08:48] | Carl,I’ll be doing all the arguing. | Carl 所有辩护都由我来做 |
[08:50] | Yes,and as your back is turned to denny while you argue, | 是啊 那当你背对Denny做辩护时 |
[08:54] | who’s gonna make sure he keeps his pants up? | 谁看着 不让他当庭脱了裤子? |
[09:03] | Well…you got plans? | 你有什么计划? |
[09:17] | Lorraine. Hello. Welcome. | Lorraine 嗨 你好 |
[09:18] | Lips! | 嘴唇! |
[09:20] | Dana? | Dana? |
[09:21] | Lorraine. Hello. | Lorraine 嗨 |
[09:23] | You two know each other? | 你们认识? |
[09:25] | we do. | 是的 |
[09:26] | Uh,we work out at the same gym. | 恩 我们在同一个地方健身 |
[09:28] | How are you two acquainted? | 你们两个是怎么认识的? |
[09:30] | Dana’s my gifriend. | Dana是我女朋友 |
[09:32] | Is she? Well,uh,congratulations to both of you. | 是么? 哦 那恭喜你们两位了 |
[09:36] | Well,our rervation’s at 6:30. We better go,jerry. | 啊 我们预订的位子是六点三十的 该走了 Jerry |
[09:40] | it was nice to see you again,lorraine. | 很高兴见到你 Lorraine |
[09:42] | You,too,dana. | 我也是 Dana |
[09:50] | the moot court will consist of nine mock justices. | 模拟法庭由9名模拟大法官组成 |
[09:53] | Treat them as you would the actual justices,which is to say with the utmost respect. | 就像实战一样 对他们要给予最高的敬意 |
[09:58] | You may think you have some idea of what it’s like to argue before the supreme court. | 你也许会以为自己大概知道 出庭最高法院是什么场景 |
[10:02] | Trust me. You do not. | 相信我 你一点也不知道 |
[10:04] | This will be the most difficult,the most high-pressure courtroom experience you’ll ever encounter. | 这将是你经历过的 最艰难 最有压力的庭辩 |
[10:11] | the justices are intimidating. | 大法官们很吓人 |
[10:13] | They’re often abrupt,sometimes rude,all formidable. | 他们经常很唐突 甚至很粗鲁 这都会引起恐惧 |
[10:16] | You make a single misstep,you’re likely to lose. | 走错一步 全盘皆输 |
[10:19] | You have the added pressure of knowing that if you lose,your client dies. | 你压力更大 因为你知道如果输了 那可是一条人命的代价 |
[10:24] | Okay,first off,know that a criminal defendant has a better chance of getting a presidential pardon | 首先 你要知道 一个刑事被告得到总统赦免的机会 |
[10:29] | than a reversal from the supreme court. | 都大于在最高法院翻案 |
[10:31] | You need five votes. | 你必须得到5票支持 |
[10:32] | You’re not gonna get roberts,scalia,thomas or alito,so don’t even bother. | 不会有Roberts Scalia Thomas Alito 你想都别想 |
[10:36] | Souter Stevens You should get ginsburg,breyer,souter and stevens. | 应该争取到Ginsburg Breyer (以上都是大法官名字) |
[10:40] | Kennedy is the swing. | Kennedy是会动摇的那个 |
[10:41] | You need to focus on knedy. | 你要想办法争取Kennedy |
[10:44] | Keep your argument focused on constitutional issues. | 辩护围绕宪制问题打 |
[10:47] | Do not–do not–do not be talking about your client. | 不要 千万不要 谈论你的当事人 |
[10:50] | – Well,if– – he raped a child. | – 那如果… – 他强暴了一个孩子 |
[10:52] | If this turns on whether they care about him,you lose. | 如果问题变成他们是否关心他 你就输定了 |
[11:11] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[11:12] | This needs to be kept confidential. | 这需要保密 |
[11:16] | May I have your word it shall be? | 你能保证吗? |
[11:18] | Okay. | 好 |
[11:23] | Jerry’s girlfriend… | Jerry的女朋友… |
[11:25] | Dana Strickland… | dana strickland… |
[11:26] | what about her? | 她怎么了? |
[11:28] | She works for me. | 她在我手下工作 |
[11:33] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[11:34] | I didn’t entirely give up the brothel business. | 我并没有完全抛弃应召生意 |
[11:37] | Only my london office. | 只是扔下了伦敦的办事处 |
[11:39] | You’re still a madam? | 你现在还在做妈妈桑? |
[11:41] | I am. | 是的 |
[11:43] | And… dana is one of your girls? | 并且…Dana是你手下的女孩? |
[11:46] | She is a rather high-priced call girl. | 她是非常贵的应召女 |
[11:55] | May it please the court,my name is alan shore. | 请允许我自我介绍一下 我叫Alan Shore |
[11:57] | Don’t waste time introducing yourself. | 不用浪费时间在你身份问题上了 |
[11:59] | – They’ll know who you are. – Fine. | – 他们都知道你是谁 – 好 |
[12:00] | I’d first like to direct the court’s attention to | 首先 我要提请法庭注意 我的当事人智商只有70… |
[12:04] | that’s not on the table. | 这不予以考虑 |
[12:05] | Well,don’t you think u should put it on the table before killing mr. Serra? | 哦 你们不觉得在杀死Serra先生以前 应该考虑下这个问题吗? |
[12:09] | You speak with a tone like that,you’re done. | 再用这样的口气说话 你就完了 |
[12:11] | The only issue here is,is it constitutional to execute for a nonhomicide rape? | 唯一的问题是 宪法是否应该 处决一个没有杀人的强奸犯? |
[12:15] | This court already held in coker V.Georgia | 在Coker诉Georgia一案 贵院作出裁定 |
[12:18] | that the death penalty was not authorized in nonhomicide ra- | 没有杀人的强奸犯不应处以死… |
[12:21] | that case did not speak to the rape of a child. | 那个案子里 被强暴的不是一个孩子 |
[12:23] | And also,the court looked to a national consensus at the time, | 并且 当时法院面对的全国共识是 |
[12:26] | which was against capital punishment in nonhomicide cases. | 反对在不涉及谋杀的案件中执行死刑 |
[12:29] | Today the consensus is different. | 现在 人们的共识已经变了 |
[12:30] | wait a second. | 等一下 |
[12:31] | So it’s to hell with precedent. You’re going to gauge popular opinion. | 管他的判例 你却可以根据民意断案 |
[12:34] | Okay. He’s a disaster. | 好了 他真够呛的 |
[12:40] | my turn. | 轮到我了 |
[12:48] | So,lenny,we argue before the court tomorrow. | Lenny 我们明天就要出庭了 |
[12:52] | They probably won’t make a decision right away. | 他们很可能不会马上作出裁决 |
[12:54] | So we all have to be patient. | 所以我们都得有耐心 |
[12:57] | What about,you know,that I’m slow? | 你知道的 我反应迟钝 |
[13:00] | Does that count? | 这有用吗? |
[13:01] | It does. | 有用 |
[13:02] | They’ll put you in charge of fema. | 他们会把你交给联邦紧急管理局 |
[13:07] | you’ll tell them I didn’t do it,right? | 你会告诉他们我没有做 你会的吧? |
[13:09] | Lenny,for the purpose of this appeal,they have to assume you did. | Lenny 这次受理 他们是预判你犯罪了的 |
[13:13] | I want you to tell them I didn’T. | 我要你告诉他们 我没有 |
[13:16] | And I want you to ask them not to kill me. | 我要你请求他们 别杀我 |
[13:21] | I know some guys want to die. | 我知道有些人会想去死 |
[13:23] | I don’T. | 但我不 |
[13:26] | I need you to tell them that. | 我要你告诉他们这些 |
[13:49] | hey,jerry. | 嘿 Jerry |
[13:51] | How did your dinner go with dana? | 和Dana午餐如何? |
[13:53] | Splendid,thank you. | 非常好 谢谢 |
[13:54] | Splendid. | 非常好 |
[14:05] | what’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[14:07] | Jerry,you’re aware I once ran a brothel in londo before coming to america. | Jerry 你知道我来美国前 在伦敦开了一家妓院的吧 |
[14:12] | Yes. Why? | 是的 怎么了? |
[14:14] | I run one in boston… | 我现在在波士顿就有一家 |
[14:16] | and new york… | 纽约也有… |
[14:17] | and several other large cities. | 还有其他一些大城市 |
[14:20] | You do? | 是么? |
[14:21] | It’s mostly internet-based. | 这基本上是靠互联网操做的 |
[14:23] | I rarely meet my employees unless they’re extremely high earners. | 我基本不认识我的雇员 除非是那些价码很高的 |
[14:28] | Why are you telling me all this? | 你干吗跟我说这些? |
[14:34] | I’ve met dana… | 我见过Dana… |
[14:37] | and it wasn’t at a gym. | 而且不是在健身房 |
[14:47] | Many of my employees are in committed relationships, | 我手下很多女孩都会交男友 |
[14:50] | and I don’t mean to indict the legitimacy of yours with dana. | 我也不是在质疑你和Dana交往的合法性 |
[14:54] | I tell you this simply because,well,katie and I both feel… | 我告诉你这些 仅仅是因为 我和Katie都觉得… |
[15:00] | you should know if you don’t already. | 你应该知道 如果你还不知道 |
[15:13] | Can you please go away now? | 你们现在能离开吗? |
[15:22] | For what it’s worth,I know dana to be an honest and honorable person. | 值得一提的是 我知道Dana是个诚实的好女孩 |
[15:26] | If she tells you she loves you,I suspect she loves you. | 如果她说她爱你 我相信那是真的 |
[15:35] | Please go away. | 请走开 |
[15:36] | Both of you. | 你们都走 |
[16:16] | oh,my god. | 噢 我的老天 |
[16:17] | * How lucky can one guy be? * *How lucky can one guy be?* | |
[16:21] | * I kissed him and he kissed me * *I kissed him,and he kissed me* | |
[16:24] | * Like the fella once said * *like the fella once said* | |
[16:26] | * “Ain’t that a kick in the head?” * *”ain’t that a kick in the head?”* | |
[16:31] | * The room was completely black * *the room was completely black* | |
[16:35] | * I hugged her she hugged me back * *I hugged her,she hugged me back* | |
[16:39] | * Like the sailor said quote * *like the sailor said,quote* | |
[16:41] | * “Ain’t that a hole in the boat?” * *”ain’t that a hole in the boat?”* | |
[16:46] | * I’ve sunshine enough to spread * *I’ve sunshine enough to spread* | |
[16:49] | cigar. Scotch. | 雪茄 威士忌 |
[16:50] | * And just like the fella said * *and just like the fella said* | |
[16:53] | * “Tell me quick * *”tell me quick* | |
[16:56] | * Ain’t love a kick”* *ain’t love a kick”* | |
[16:58] | thank yoU. | 谢谢 |
[16:59] | *”Tell me quick”* | *”Tell me quick”* |
[17:02] | * Ain’t love a kick * *ain’t love a kick* | |
[17:04] | * In the head? * *in the head?* | |
[17:16] | we coulda gone back to their place for one drink. | 我们本应该回到她们那喝一杯 |
[17:19] | It’s the night before the supreme court,and I’m tired. | 明天就要出庭最高法院了 我也累了 |
[17:21] | It’s always the night before something. | 每个”明天”都是有些特别的事的 |
[17:23] | Yes,well,the something tomorrow is the highest court,and a man’s life is at stake. | 是 而这次的”明天”是面对最高法院 而且 一个人的生命在此一搏 |
[17:26] | you used to be fun. | 你本来是个挺有意思的人 |
[17:28] | – Can you begin to appreciate the gravity of tomorrow’s– – oh,please. | – 你就不能重视下明天的… – 拜托 |
[17:32] | A man is facing death. | 一个男人正处在死亡边缘 |
[17:33] | Well,we all gotta die at one point. | 我们都总要死的 |
[17:34] | Shut up! | 闭嘴! |
[17:37] | You said you wanted to be part of this case. | 你说你要加入这个案子 |
[17:38] | Well,be part of it,damn it. | 那你倒是加入进来啊 靠 |
[17:39] | It’s the supreme court. | 这可是最高法院 |
[17:41] | It’s not enough for you that we’re out singing and drinking with the go-go girls, | 一晚上 你跟一帮舞女又唱又喝 这还不够吗? |
[17:45] | but now you gotta go back to their… | 现在你居然还说要回去… |
[17:53] | sorry. | 对不起 |
[18:01] | I don’t mean to snap at you. | 我不想对你大声嚷嚷 |
[18:12] | I’m nervous,denny. | 我紧张了 Denny |
[18:14] | I really didn’t think I would be,but I’m a little scared to death. | 我没料到我会紧张 但我吓得要死 |
[18:21] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[18:30] | I’ve been thinking. | 我一直在想 |
[18:35] | Ah,this kid’S… best chance… | 这个孩子…最好的机会… |
[18:42] | you should do all the arguing. | 你应该全盘辩护 |
[18:45] | It’s enough that I’m in the room. | 我只要坐在那 就心满意足了 |
[18:48] | My legacy will be complete. | 我的遗赠就完成了 |
[18:51] | Denny… | |
[18:52] | I-I–I’m not ready to go toe-to-toe with rehnquist. | 我还没准备好和Rehnquist针锋相对 |
[18:56] | Denny,rehnquist is dead. | Rehnquist已经死了 Denny |
[18:59] | Even so… you argue. | 即使这样 你来辩护 |
[19:02] | I’ll flirt with ginsburg from the table. | 我会坐在桌边和Ginsburg调情 |
[19:05] | Right. | 是吗? |
[19:10] | You sure? | 你确定? |
[19:12] | I am. | 我确定 |
[19:16] | But you gotta do me two favors though. | 但是你得帮我两个忙 |
[19:20] | First,I bet 50 grand that we’d get,uh,clarence thomas to speak. | 首先 我赌5万块 我们可以让Clarence Thomas开口 |
[19:24] | The man hasn’t spoken a single word in 154 cases over 2 years. | 这人两年处理154起案子 一句话没说 |
[19:30] | Well,just mention anita hill… | 提下Anita Hill |
[19:33] | the porn collection. | 色情收藏 |
[19:34] | Bait him a little. | 给他下点饵 |
[19:35] | I’m not gonna bait a supreme court justice. | 我可不打算作弄高院法官 |
[19:39] | What’s the other favor? | 另一个忙呢? |
[19:43] | Kick ass. | 给点颜色他们看看 |
[19:45] | It’s our time in the great hall in front of the highest court in the country, | 该展现我们的风采了 站在这个国家最高法院的大厅里 |
[19:50] | maybe the world. | 也许全世界 |
[19:52] | Be respectful… | 恭敬… |
[19:58] | but kick ass. | 但得给点颜色 |
[20:01] | Be alan shore for all you’re worth. | 展现下最真实的Alan Shore |
[20:06] | And you know how they start these sessions? | 你知道他们怎么开庭吗? |
[20:09] | This,uh,clerk,this really pretty woman,she says,”oh,yes,oh,yes,oh,yes!” | 这个美丽的女人 书记员 她说 哦椰 哦椰 哦椰 |
[20:17] | It’s like sex,alan. | 就好象在做爱一样 Alan |
[20:20] | It’s not “oh,yes.” It’s “oyez.” | 那不是哦椰 那是肃静 |
[20:24] | What? | 什么? |
[20:25] | Oyez. | 肃静 |
[20:30] | oyez,oyez,oyez. | 肃静 肃静 肃静 |
[20:33] | All persons having business before the honorable, | 所有莅临联邦最高法院的人士 |
[20:36] | the supreme court of the united states, | 尊敬的美国联邦最高法院 |
[20:38] | are admonished to draw near and give their attention,for the court is now sitting. | 敬请注意 本院开始开庭 |
[20:43] | God save the united states and this honorable court. | 愿上帝保守美利坚合众国 和这个尊敬的法庭 |
[20:50] | I had no idea they sat so close. | 我不知道他们坐得这么近 |
[20:55] | we’re here,alan. We’re really here. | 我们在这儿了 Alan 我们真在这 |
[20:57] | Look at us–in the supreme court of the united states. | 瞧 我们在美国的最高法庭上 |
[21:06] | I love you,man. | 我爱你 伙计 |
[21:07] | I love you,too,denny. | 我也爱你 Denny |
[21:16] | this morning,we will hear arguments in serra vs.The state of louisiana. | 今早我们将会审理 Serra诉路易斯安那州一案 |
[21:20] | Mr Lazarus. | Lazarus先生 |
[21:23] | Mr Chief justice. | 首席大法官阁下 |
[21:24] | How do you distinguish this case from coker, | 你怎么区别这个案子和Coker一案? |
[21:26] | where we barred the death penalty for nonhomicide rape? | 该案中我们禁止对 不涉及谋杀的强奸犯判死刑 |
[21:29] | Well,first,mr. Ief justice,coker was linked to the rape of adult women. | 首先 首席大法官阁下 Coker牵扯到一起强奸成年妇女的案子 |
[21:33] | Dull. Where’s the remote? | 没劲 遥控器在哪? |
[21:35] | And second,that ruling relied on the evidence national trend against execution for nonhomicide cases. | 其次 该判决取决于国民一致反对 在不涉及谋杀的案件中执行死刑 |
[21:41] | Today,five states make child rape a capital offense. | 今天有五个州都把侵犯儿童定为死罪 |
[21:46] | We also have the death penalty for air piracy and treason,also nonhomicide offenses. | 我们也对宣传盗版 叛国罪实施死刑 这些也是不涉及谋杀的罪名 |
[21:52] | When a child is raped,the impact is beyond horrible,beyond repair. | 当儿童受到侵犯 其影响远超过恐怖 无法弥补 |
[21:58] | And the fact that the raped child doesn’t die doesn’t make it any less heinous, | 实际上 被强暴的儿童即使没死 也不会减轻其罪行的恶劣性 |
[22:03] | any less unconscionable,any | 不会减少其令人发指性 不会减少其无可言喻性… |
[22:30] | hey,jerry. | 嗨 Jerry |
[22:31] | Ready for lunch? | 可以去吃饭了吗? |
[22:37] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[22:45] | Lorraine informs me you work as an escort at her service. | Lorraine跟我说你是她公司的的伴游 |
[22:52] | Is that true,dana? | 是真的吗 Dana? |
[22:57] | Is that true,dana? | 是真的吗 Dana? |
[23:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:11] | please leave. | 请你离开 |
[23:14] | Could I have an opportunity to explain? | 能给个机会我解释下吗? |
[23:17] | I don’t think there’s an explanation you could offer I would find satisfactory. | 我觉得无论你怎么解释 我都不会满意 |
[23:20] | Dana,please leave. | Dana请你离开 |
[23:22] | Jerry… | Jerry… |
[23:26] | I kept part of my life a lie. | 我欺瞒了我一部分生活 |
[23:32] | When I tell you I love you… | 当我说爱你的时候 |
[23:38] | that isn’t a lie. | 那不是说谎 |
[23:44] | What we had the other night… | 当我们那天晚上 |
[23:47] | that was not a lie. | 也不是说谎 |
[24:20] | The punishment is not disproportionate. | 这个判决合适 |
[24:23] | It reflects the current national consensus. | 这个反映了当前国民共识 |
[24:26] | This court has been criticized recently for not standing up for the little guy. | 这个法庭最近被批评没有支持弱势群体 |
[24:31] | Well,I’m standing here today asking you to stick up | 我现在站在这 请求您支持 |
[24:34] | for an 8-year-old girl who was raped by the defendant. | 被告强暴的这位8岁女孩 |
[24:40] | Okay,mr. Lazarus. The red light indicates your time is up. | 好 Lazarus先生 红灯亮了 你的时间到了 |
[24:43] | Thank you,mr. Chief stice. | 谢谢 首席大法官阁下 |
[24:47] | This is it. | 到你了 |
[24:49] | I think I’d rather be fishing. | 我想我更愿意钓鱼 |
[24:51] | Go get ’em. | 上 搞定他们 |
[25:00] | May it please the court,mr.Chief justice, | 首席大法官阁下 请允许我 |
[25:03] | currently there are 3,300 people on death row in this country. | 我们国家现有死囚有三千三百人 |
[25:09] | My client is one of only two who did not commit murder. | 我的当事人却是唯一两名 没犯谋杀罪行的死囚之一 |
[25:12] | You here to give us a box score? | 你是想给我们一份成绩表? |
[25:14] | I’d like to provide a context,your honor. | 法官阁下 我是想给您提供点背景 |
[25:17] | In louisiana,180 men have been prosecuted for child rape | 自从1995年这项法律生效以来 |
[25:22] | since this law went into effect in 1995. | 在路易斯安那有180人 因侵犯儿童而被起诉 |
[25:25] | Leonard serra is the only one facing death. | Leonard Serra是唯一被判死刑的人 |
[25:28] | Look,counsel,louisiana law permits death for child rape. | 辩护律师 路易斯安那的法律 允许对强暴儿童的的罪犯处以死刑 |
[25:31] | And I would respectfully submit that law is unconstitutional. | 请容我恭敬的提出 这项法律违反了宪法 |
[25:34] | Based on what? | 根据什么? |
[25:35] | Based on this court’s finding | 根据这个法庭对Coker一案的裁定 死刑… |
[25:39] | which spoke to the rape of an adult,not a child.Maybe you need to read it again. | 适用于强奸成年人 而非儿童,我希望你再读一下判例 |
[25:45] | And even if I were to concede your point,which I don’t, | 就算我勉强同意你的观点 事实上我不同意 |
[25:48] | there’s a national consensus now in favor of authorizing the death penalty for nonhomicide rape. | 还有国民大多倾向于 对不涉及谋杀的强奸犯处以死刑 |
[25:53] | Why,because louisiana passed a barbaric law? | 为什么? 因为路易斯安那州 通过了份野蛮的法律? |
[25:55] | Joining the ranks of saudi arabia,uganda,china– | 入了沙特阿拉伯 乌干达 中国之流 |
[25:58] | – and other states in this country who– – five. Five states. | – 还有这个国家其他的州 – 5个 5个州 |
[26:01] | That’s hardly a consensus. | 这怎么能算多数人的意见呢 |
[26:02] | And none of those other states authorize death for first-time offenders as louisiana does. | 而且没有哪个州像路易斯安那州这样 对初犯就批准死刑 |
[26:07] | And it should also be noted,in its reliance on a “national consensus,” | 值得注意的是 要靠”国民共识”定罪 |
[26:11] | you look to trends in legislation,laws passed by politicians,mostly around election time, | 依靠的都是立法潮流 政客通过的法律 大多都是在选举时间 |
[26:16] | when they’re desperate to appear tough on crime. | 他们拼命想展示严厉打击犯罪的形象 |
[26:19] | The people who care the most | 最关心儿童福利的人 |
[26:22] | uh,doctors and social workers,the | 医生和社工 那些真正治疗受虐待小孩的人 |
[26:27] | have filed amicus briefs asking you to strike down this law | 都发表了非当事人意见陈述 要求您废除这项法律 |
[26:30] | because they know the death penalty, | 因为他们知道死刑 |
[26:31] | in fact,does not protect kids at all, | 事实上 不但完全没保护小孩 |
[26:34] | but rather it makes it less likely the children, | 而且还减少了儿童报案的可能性 |
[26:37] | even if they’ve been abused,will report the crime, | 即使他们受到虐待 |
[26:39] | especially if a family member is involved. | 特别是涉及到某个家庭成员 |
[26:42] | No kid wants to be responsible for a relative being executed. | 没有哪个孩子想 对他的亲人被处决负责 |
[26:45] | And children often get it wrong. | 而且孩子们经常理解错误 |
[26:47] | They are uniquely prone to suggestibility and coercion, | 他们特别容易被教唆 逼供 |
[26:50] | not that the police would ever be guilty of that,of course. | 当然警察不会那么做 |
[26:53] | But we already have an epidemic of | 但是在我国 误判风行 |
[26:57] | as many as 15,000 a year,too many | 每年有多达一万五千人 他们中大多数都在死囚区等死 |
[27:02] | and child rape prosecutions are especially unreliable. | 儿童强奸案的诉讼尤其不可靠 |
[27:05] | And now we want to add,uh,the death penalty to make these mistakes irrevocable? | 现在我们要再加上死刑 让这些错误无法挽回? |
[27:09] | Whatever one’s feelings | 不管对死刑的感觉如何 |
[27:13] | and I realize with this | 我觉得这个法庭 似乎是赞成 |
[27:15] | you simply cannot ignore the fact that we often screw it up. | 你不能忽视这个事实 我们经常搞砸 |
[27:19] | We convict the innocent,we botch executions, | 我们冤枉好人 执行死刑时笨手笨脚 |
[27:22] | which is many states have declared a moratorium on capital punishment. | 所以一些州暂停了死刑执行 |
[27:26] | That’s your true national consensus. | 这才是真正的国民共识 |
[27:28] | And yet,here comes louisiana,seeking to | 但是路易斯安那 却想将死刑扩大到不涉及谋杀案件 |
[27:33] | and this is my favorite part– to kill the mentally disabled. | 这是我最爱的部分 来杀一个智力低下人士 |
[27:36] | Are we serious? | 不是在开玩笑吧? |
[27:36] | This defendant was never officially pronounced disabled. | 被告从来没被正式称为残疾人 |
[27:39] | But he is just the same,your honor. | 但是他与残疾人没什么两样 法官阁下 |
[27:41] | He has an I.Q. Of 70. | 他的智商只有70 |
[27:42] | They’re gonna kill him because there was no official pronouncement? | 就因为没正式认定就要被杀? |
[27:45] | The way this goes,counsel,is we work off a record,which you are not free to amend. | 情况是这样的 辩护律师 我们根据纪录来 这份记录你不能更改 |
[27:50] | But by record,you simply mean the conviction. | 你说的纪录 单指判决 |
[27:52] | A reading of the entire record shows that he denies his guilt and always has,he has no prior arrests, | 完整的记录表明他否认有罪 而且一直否认 他没有前科 |
[27:57] | that the victim never even made the accusation until a full 20 months after the alleged crime. | 直到所谓的罪行发生后20个月后 受害人才指控他 |
[28:03] | There was no D.N.A.– | 没有DNA… |
[28:04] | Factual innocence is not something you get to argue. | 你不能用事实清白抗辩 |
[28:07] | Well,how silly is that? | 这有多蠢? |
[28:09] | You’re deciding whether or not to kill someone,and his possible innocence is irrelevant? | 你要决定是不是要杀这个人 而他可能是清白的却无关紧要? |
[28:13] | Mr Shore,I don’t like your demeanor,your tone, | Shore先生 我不喜欢你的行为和论调 |
[28:17] | and I would remind you of where you are. | 我得提醒你 你身处何地 |
[28:21] | I know exactly where I am,mr.Chief justice. | 我很清楚的知道我在哪 首席法官大人 |
[28:23] | I’m in the supreme court of the united states, | 我站在美国联邦最高法院 |
[28:25] | and let me tell you,you folks aren’t as hot as all get out. | 让我来告诉你 你们这些人一点都不热切 |
[28:28] | dear god. | 上帝啊 |
[28:28] | Let’s consider yr respective senate confirmations. | 让我们分别考虑一下参议院审批 |
[28:30] | You all testified under oath that you never actually considered how you would rule on abortion. | 你们都宣誓 你们不会考虑堕胎怎么判 |
[28:35] | You must be kidding me. | 这肯定是在说笑 |
[28:36] | Never gave it a thought? | 从来没想过? |
[28:38] | No perjury there? | 这不就是伪证吗? |
[28:39] | Justice scalia… | Scalia大法官 |
[28:40] | you went duck hunting with vice president cheney | 你曾和副总统切尼一起去打野鸭 |
[28:42] | while he was a named defendant in a case before this court. | 他那时候还是贵庭审理的 某个案子中的被告 |
[28:45] | Congratulations on not getting shot,by the way, | 祝贺你没被击中 顺便说一下 |
[28:47] | but you didn’t exactly avoid the appearance of impropriety there. | 你并没的回避不当的行为 |
[28:50] | Justice alito,you were caught hearing a case | Alito大法官 你涉嫌听审某件 |
[28:52] | involving a company you’d invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in. | 你投资了几十万元公司的案子 |
[28:56] | No conflt of interest there? | 那就不存在利益冲突? |
[28:57] | You also don’t recuse yourself in terrorism cases | 你也没回避恐怖主义案件 |
[28:59] | even though your best friend is michael chertoff,head of homeland security. | 即使你最好的朋友Michael Chertoff 是国土安全部部长 |
[29:03] | Seems to me the supreme court of the united states should be made of sterner stuff. Am I right? | 就我看来 美国最高法庭应该是 由更坚定的人组成 不是吗? |
[29:07] | Justice thomas,at least put down the magazine. | Thomas大法官 至少放下杂志 |
[29:09] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[29:10] | I really don’t think you mean to come after us,counsel. | 你不会想找我们的事的 辩护律师 |
[29:13] | Oh,but I do. | 哦 但是我是 |
[29:14] | In your short term as chief justice,this court,with your narrow majority, | 在您做首席大法官的短暂任期内 这个法庭 与您勉强的多数 |
[29:18] | has turned back the clock on civil rights,school segregation, | 很多判决不进反退 民事权利 学校种族隔离 |
[29:21] | equal protection,free speech,abortion,campaign finance. | 平等保护 自由言论 堕胎 竞选经费 |
[29:25] | You’ve been overtly and shamelessly pro-business, | 你们公然地 不知羞耻地支持大公司 |
[29:27] | making it impossible for some plaintiffs to so much as sue corporations, | 使得一些原告甚至都不能控告公司 |
[29:31] | especially big oil and big tobacco. | 尤其是石油和烟草巨头 |
[29:33] | Somebody’s gotta go after you. | 该有人想扳倒你们 |
[29:35] | Exxonmobil made over $40 | 艾克森美孚在2007年赚了400亿美元 400亿美元啊 而与此同时 |
[29:40] | and yet 19 years after the “valdez” oil spill,plaintiffs are still waiting to be fully compensated. | 在瓦尔迪兹原油泄漏事件的19年后 原告仍没完全得到赔偿 |
[29:46] | Justice scalia,you want to overturn the verdict altogether | Scalia大法官 您想要彻底推翻裁决 |
[29:49] | because it’s not the company’s fault that the ship’s captain got drunk? | 因为船长喝醉酒不是该公司的责任? |
[29:51] | But he was a drunk and they knew it. | 但他本来就是个酒鬼 该公司也清楚这一点 |
[29:53] | Perhaps not the best choice to pilot 53 million gallons of crude oil through an environmentally sensitive area. | 该让他驾驶载有5300万加仑原油 的油轮驶过环境敏感区域吗? |
[29:58] | You are getting so far off point. | 你已经离题万里了 |
[30:00] | My point is,who are you people? | 我想说的是 你们是干什么吃的? |
[30:02] | You’ve transformed this court from being a governmental branch | 这里本该是捍卫民权与自由的政府部门 |
[30:05] | devoted to civil rights and liberties into a protector of discrimination, | 你们却将它变成了歧视者的帮凶 |
[30:09] | a guardian of government,a slave to moneyed interests and big business, | 政府的爪牙 资本家和大公司的走狗 |
[30:12] | and today–hallelujah– you seek to kill a mentally disabled man. | 而现如今 哈利路亚 你们竟要判一个智障人士死刑 |
[30:15] | I’m curious. As a group,how many executions have you all actually witnessed? | 我很好奇 诸位亲眼目睹过多少死刑? |
[30:21] | I’m sorry. That’S… that’s unfair. | 对不起 这…这不公平 |
[30:33] | I’ve seen five. | 我目睹过五次 |
[30:36] | And it is the most inhumane… cruel, | 这是自诩正义的法律体系中 |
[30:40] | and unusual hypocrisy of a system that promises to be just. | 最惨无人道 最虚伪不堪之处 |
[30:44] | I’ll ask you to leave your personal politics out of this,counsel. | 请不要把你个人政见带入本案 辩护律师 |
[30:47] | And I’d ask you to do exactly the same. | 这正是我想对您说的 |
[30:49] | The supreme court was intended to be free and unadulterated by politics. | 最高法院 理应不受政治的左右 |
[30:53] | It is now dominated by it. | 如今反而受其所制 |
[30:55] | You’re handpicked by presidents with ideological agendas, | 总统出于政治目的任命了你们 |
[30:58] | and of the 2 dozen 5-4 decisions in your 2006-2007 term, | 在06到07年中的24件5比4决议案中的 |
[31:03] | 19 broke straight across ideological lines. | 19件是直接因意识形态路线而决定的 |
[31:05] | That’s politics. | 这就是政治 |
[31:06] | And while you claim to be against judicial | 你们一边号称反对司法能动主义 一边却在改写 哦 不对… |
[31:11] | invented new law to decide a presidential election,for god sake. | 创立了新的法律来决定总统选举 上帝啊! |
[31:14] | If that’s the way it’s gonna be,then at least have the decency to put your names on ballots | 如果非干预政治 至少该把你们的名字 写在选票上 |
[31:18] | like the rest of the politicians so that we,the people,get a voice. | 像其他的政客们一样 这样 我们人民也能说句话 |
[31:20] | Mr Shore,you have said quite enough. | Shore先生 你说的够多了 |
[31:25] | Now you might consider using what little time you have remaining to represent your client | 你现在该用所剩无几的时间 替你的当事人说话 |
[31:30] | instead of your own left-wing agenda. | 而不再大放你那些左翼厥词 |
[31:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:39] | I absolutely cannot… stand up here and ask anybody to excuse the rape of a child. | 我不能…站在这里要求任何人原谅 对儿童的强暴 |
[31:46] | If it were my child,I’d want to shoot the son of a bitch in front of the courthouse. | 如果是我的孩子 我甚至想在法庭里 一枪崩了这个王八蛋 |
[31:52] | But the more evolved response would be to take into account all the circumstances | 但是 应当考虑到所有的情况 |
[31:57] | and to deliberate and decide whether leonard serra | 深思熟虑来决定 Leonard Serra |
[32:01] | truly represents the worst of the worst of humanity, | 是否罪大恶极 不可饶恕 |
[32:04] | for whom we reserve the death penalty. | 必须杀之而后快 |
[32:09] | I’ve been… advised by my advisors not to talk about leonard, | 我的顾问团曾提醒我不要谈论Leonard |
[32:15] | but I am going to talk about him because leonard serra is not in any way the worst. | 但我仍要讲讲Leonard Serra 从任何意义上讲 都不是穷凶极恶之徒 |
[32:19] | Leonard is not a son of a bitch. | 也不是个王八蛋 |
[32:21] | Emotionally,intellectually,he is a child. | 从心智上讲 他还是个孩子 |
[32:25] | Is this really the person to make an example of? | 难倒应该把这样的人立为典型吗? |
[32:27] | Of all the men louisiana has prosecuted for child rape since the passage of this law, | 路易斯安纳州通过了这条法律之后 在以强奸儿童罪被起诉的人中 |
[32:32] | only leonard has been sentenced to death. | 只有Lenord被判处了死刑 |
[32:34] | Does it strike any of you as fair that the one guy singled out is the one with an I.Q. Of 70? | 这百里挑一的”典型” 智商只有70 你们难道都觉得很公平吗? |
[32:39] | Really? | 公平吗? |
[32:44] | Leonard serra is black. | Leonard Serra是个黑人 |
[32:47] | In louisiana,historically,it’s been blacks that have been executed for rape in nonhomicide cases. | 在路易斯安那州历史上 非谋杀类强奸案 被执行死刑的都是黑人 |
[32:53] | In the last hundred years,louisiana has executed 29 men for rape. | 过去的百年中 路易斯安那州因强奸罪 处死了29人 |
[32:57] | All were black. | 均为黑人 |
[33:00] | On the face of this building,it reads,”equal justice under law.” | 在这法院的门前铭刻着 “法律面前 人人平等” |
[33:04] | I would beg you to honor that. | 我恳请你们尊重这句话 |
[33:09] | And finay I’d like to say,despite my tone… | 最后 我想说 尽管我这样的口气… |
[33:14] | I have always been and still am in… | 我从始至终 并将 一如既往地… |
[33:19] | enormous awe of this institution. | 对这里怀有无限的敬畏 |
[33:25] | Elected officials represent the will of the american people. | 民选官员代表了美国人民的民意 |
[33:28] | But the supreme court has always reflected our soul and our…conscience. | 而最高法院始终不渝地闪烁着 我们灵魂和良知的光芒 |
[33:35] | My conscience,and I hope yours,simply cannot reconcile executing a mentally disabled man, | 不管他是否被正式认定 我的良知绝不同意对智障人士执行死刑 |
[33:42] | whether he was officially pronounced as such or not. | 我希望你们也有这份良知 |
[33:44] | We have to be better than that… | 我们不能沦落到这种地步 |
[33:47] | even if louisiana isn’T. | 即便路易斯安那州这样 |
[33:52] | You know,on the… back of this building is that magnificent sculpture, | 众所周知… 在这建筑的背面 是那座无比华美的浮雕 |
[33:59] | part of which symbolizes the concept of… | 部分象征着这种概念的精髓… |
[34:04] | justice tempered by mercy. | “宽严并济 慈威兼施” |
[34:07] | If mercy truly lives within these walls,within your hearts as justices,as people, | 如果这种宽恕与慈悲真的寓于这楼宇中 萦绕在你们公正而亦有情的心中 |
[34:14] | you cannot cause this man to be injected with chemicals | 你们就不会让这个人 因为莫须有的罪名 |
[34:18] | for the purpose of killing him for a crime it’s very possible he did not commit. | 而被注射药剂 执行死刑 |
[34:23] | He asked me to tell you that,that he… did not commit it. | 他请求我告诉你们 这… 他没干 |
[34:29] | He felt it was important that you… know that. | 他认为 告诉你们这点是…很重要的 |
[34:38] | He also asked me to tell you… | 他还恳请我告诉你们… |
[34:42] | he doesn’t want to die. | 他不想死 |
[35:29] | Well,how long before they rule? Do we have any idea? | 有谁知道 他们多久才能裁决吗? |
[35:32] | Could be weeks,even months? | 短则数周 长则数月 |
[35:33] | Do I have any chance? | 我有机会吗? |
[35:35] | – Well,if– – I mean with you. | – 如果… – 我是说你我之间 |
[35:37] | Let’s just say lenny serra’s chances would be better than yours. | 倒不如说Leonard Serra的机会 比你的还要大 |
[35:40] | Tease. | 开玩笑 |
[35:41] | Well,this is good-bye,then. | 那就再见啦 |
[35:43] | Yes. | 是的 |
[35:44] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[35:47] | Listen,I’m not a very | 我并不是个多愁善感的人 但是 |
[35:48] | hey,if you’re gonna say anything mushy,direct it at me. | 嘿 你要是想说什么肉麻的话 尽管冲我来 |
[35:51] | I’ll direct it at him. | 我还是对他说吧 |
[35:55] | My father tried to discourage me from the practice of law, | 我父亲曾竭力劝我放弃律师行业 |
[35:58] | suggesting that the profession was anything but noble. | 说这个职业一点也不高尚 |
[36:04] | Listening to you today… | 今天听君一席话… |
[36:10] | well,good-bye,alan,and thank you. | 好了 再见吧 Alan 还是谢谢你 |
[36:20] | Carl | Carl. |
[36:21] | Audrey | Audrey. |
[36:35] | Just to clarify,since you did all the arguing, | 事先声明 因为所有辩词都是你说的 |
[36:37] | should we lose,this does not count on my record. | 如果我们输了 这可不能算到我的记录里 |
[36:40] | Of course not,denny. | 肯定不算 Denny |
[36:41] | I don’t plan to end up 18-1,if you get my drift. | 我可不想最后纪录是18胜1负 如果你明白我的意思的话 |
[36:45] | Alan… | Alan… |
[36:47] | uh,one second? | 说句话好吗? |
[36:51] | For the record,though some lawyers would’ve found your little performance heroic today, | 请注意 虽然一些律师 会觉得你今天的表现很勇敢 |
[36:57] | and say,”wow,you really are something,” | 还会说 “哇 你可真不简单” |
[36:59] | be aware,it’s not the policy of crane,poole & schmidt | 但别忘了 抨击 诋毁 不尊重 联邦最高法院 |
[37:02] | to attack,dismiss, disrespect the supreme court of the united states. | 绝不是CPS事务所律师的作风 |
[37:07] | And should you ever have opportunity to revisit the great hall, | 今后如果你有机会再次造访那里 |
[37:10] | you will conduct yourself in a manner more commensurate with the values and policies of this firm. | 今后你的行为必须遵循 本律所的观点和政策 |
[37:15] | Notwithstanding,there are those who might think… | 尽管仍会有人觉得 |
[37:18] | you really are something. | 你 真的 很 了不起 |
[37:26] | Got it? | 明白了吗? |
[37:29] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[37:43] | Hey,jerry. | 嘿 Jerry |
[37:44] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[37:46] | You talked to dana? | 你和Dana谈过了么? |
[37:47] | I did. | 是的 |
[37:48] | We’re done,finis,terminare…kaputski. | 我们完了 分了 掰了 “卡巴斯基”了 |
[37:53] | I’m sorry to hear that. | 听到这个消息 我很遗憾 |
[37:55] | Even though I’m sure it has to… | 虽然知道肯定会… |
[37:58] | what is that? | 那是什么? |
[38:00] | That’s patty. | 那是Patty |
[38:02] | We’ve reconnected. | 我们复合了 |
[38:04] | You’ve r-reconnected with a doll? | 你和一个充气娃娃复合了? |
[38:06] | Yes. | 没错 |
[38:08] | Jerry… | Jerry… |
[38:11] | having a relationship with…an inanimate friend | 与一位… 玩偶朋友建立恋情 |
[38:15] | suggests a certain willingness onour part to forsake conventional expectations. | 说明你想要放弃某种常规的期望 |
[38:21] | Might such an open-mindedness occasion you to consider a relationship with dana, | 比如开明考虑和Dana发展关系 |
[38:25] | if you two really love each other? | 如果你们两个真的爱着对方? |
[38:26] | Go out with a call girl? | 与一个应召女郎交往? |
[38:28] | Do I look that desperate? | 我就绝望到那个份上了? |
[38:29] | You don’t seem at all desperate enough to date a doll. | 比和与充气娃娃约会 强的多 |
[38:32] | Look,I’m not saying it wasn’t right to end things with dana,but I am saying… | 我并不是说你和Dana分手是错误的 我只是想说… |
[38:37] | love is difficult to find. | 真爱难觅 |
[38:41] | It’s very difficult. | 非常的难 |
[38:46] | Perhaps you might take a day or two before declaring ifinis,terminare,and especially kaputski. | 或许你应该停几天 再看看是不是真的 完了 分了 卡巴斯基 |
[38:52] | There’s a certain finality to ending things in polish. | 尤其是”卡巴斯基” 那在波兰语里是 彻底分手的意思 |
[38:55] | I’m not gonna date a call girl,okay? | 我不会和应召女郎约会的 好吗? |
[39:00] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:03] | Well…good night,then. | 那 晚安了 |
[39:06] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[39:28] | I thought scalia would rupture a blood vessel. | 我还以为Scalia会气得七窍流血呢 |
[39:32] | And did you see alito? | 你看到Alito的样子没? |
[39:33] | He hasn’t been so offended since they let blacks and girls into princeton. | 自从允许黑人和女性进入普林斯顿大学 之后 他还没这么被冒犯过 |
[39:37] | I didn’t really mean to go on the attack. | 我并非想去抨击他们 |
[39:39] | I just… | 我只是… |
[39:41] | did I at least make sense? | 至少我说的还有道理吧? |
[39:45] | Not to me. | 我不觉得 |
[39:48] | but I’ll tell you this,I admire you. | 但是 说实话 我很钦佩你 |
[39:51] | To march into the supreme court and fight for a principle you believe in–wow. | 昂首挺进最高法院 为了你的原则而战 哇! |
[39:58] | How many people have such a chance and actually seize it? | 有多少人能有这样的机会 又能抓住呢? |
[40:07] | You made me proud. | 你令我感到骄傲 |
[40:12] | My favorite part… | 最棒的是… |
[40:13] | was when you got clarence thomas to talk. | 你让Clarence Thomas开口了 |
[40:19] | we got to see the white house. | 我们应该去看看白宫 |
[40:20] | Up close,as close as ginsburg’s mole. | 离得很近 就像距离Ginsburg脸上 的痣一样近 |
[40:24] | Did you see her making eyes at me? | 你看到她向我暗送秋波了吗? |
[40:27] | Oh,she was hot for me. | 我被她迷住了 |
[40:29] | What woman isn’t? | 你没被谁迷住呢? |
[40:31] | It’s my curse. | 我也不是故意的 |
[40:34] | you know,I was thinking about what you said about mercy. | 我刚才在想你所说的”慈悲” |
[40:40] | I sometimes wonder whether that’ll be part of my legacy. | 我有时也很想知道 这能否成为 我人生的遗赠 |
[40:45] | I mean,will someone stand up at my funeral and say, | 我是说 会不会有人在我的葬礼上说 |
[40:49] | “that man had mercy in his heart”? | “这个人 心中有慈悲的一面” |
[40:52] | I will. | 我会的 |
[41:00] | I hope they don’t kill that kid. | 我希望他们不会判那小子死刑 |
[41:02] | I’m for capital punishment… | 我是支持死刑的… |
[41:07] | but I hope they don’t kill him. | 但我还是不希望法院判他死刑 |
[41:11] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[41:18] | I read…somewhere… | 我在某处读到… |
[41:22] | “make time to travel with a loved one to a special place.” | 带着深爱的人去特别的地方旅行 |
[41:26] | You and I– first nimmo bay… | 咱们俩 第一次去了尼摩湾 |
[41:30] | and now the supreme court. | 这次又去了最高法院 |
[41:34] | Where to next? | 下次去哪呢? |
[41:37] | I’ll think of someplace. | 我会找个地方 |
[41:43] | ‘Cause we’re not done,alan. | 因为我们的故事还没结束 |
[41:46] | No,we’re not. | 是的 没有结束 |
[41:54] | Not even close. | 还差得远呢 |
[41:58] | Maybe we could go to wednesdays. | 也许我们可以到周三去 |
[42:00] | Next week? | 下周三? (自下周Boston Legal播出时间调整至每周三) |
[42:02] | Why not? | 为什么不呢? |
[42:04] | Wednesdays… | 每个周三… |
[42:06] | I like it. | 我喜欢… |