时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:39] | Excuse me. Uh,where is walter schmidt’s room,please? | 请问 哪间是Walter Schmidt的病房? |
[00:42] | Shirley | Shirley. |
[00:43] | What happened? | 怎么了? |
[00:44] | He’s okay. He broke a few ribs. He’s resting right now. | 他没事 只是断了几根肋骨 正在休息呢 |
[00:47] | What happened? | 发生了什么事? |
[00:48] | He took a turn this week. | 他的病情这周有了反复 |
[00:50] | He doesn’t recognize any of us at the nursing home anymorE. | 他已经认不出我们疗养院中任何一个了 |
[00:53] | He’s been getting agitated,always seems to be terrified. | 表现得惶恐不安 总是一副受惊吓的样子 |
[00:56] | How did he get hurt? | 他怎么受伤的? |
[00:59] | He,uh,jued out of his bedroom window. | 从卧室的窗户跳了出去 |
[01:02] | A hedge broke his fall and probably saved his life. | 还好树篱挡了一下 救了他的命 |
[01:08] | He jumped out the window? | 他跳出窗外? |
[01:09] | His dementia. | 老年痴呆引起的 |
[01:11] | I’ve gotta get back there. He’s not doing so well. | 我得回那去 他的情况不妙 |
[01:13] | I’ll join you. | 我和你一起去 |
[01:14] | Oh,thanks. I’ll be fine. | 谢谢 不必了 我能行 |
[01:15] | Well,m-maybe he’ll recognize me. | 也许他能认出我 |
[01:17] | I-I always had a great relationship with your father. | 我和你父亲的关系一直不错 |
[01:20] | We’d hunt,we’d fish. | 我们一起打猎 一起钓鱼 |
[01:21] | Remember the time I shot him in the calf? | 还记得我误伤他的小腿么? |
[01:23] | oh,you’re lucky he doesn’t remember. | 喔 你真幸运他不记得了 |
[01:25] | I’d really rather go alone. | 我一个人去真的就行了 |
[01:27] | – I’d like to see him. I was always very fond of your father. – Really? | – 我想去看看他 我一直很喜欢你的父亲 – 真的么? |
[01:30] | And he always liked me. | 他也喜欢我 |
[01:31] | Yes,he did. | 是的 |
[01:34] | Okay then,let’s go. | 好吧 一起吧 |
[01:38] | jerry,what’s wrong? | Jerry 怎么了? |
[01:40] | I’m in trouble. | 我有麻烦了 |
[01:41] | What sort of trouble? | 什么样的麻烦啊? |
[01:42] | Oh,I can’t tell you. | 我不能告诉你 |
[01:43] | Why can’t you tell me? | 为什么不能告诉我呀? |
[01:44] | You’re a girl! | 你是个姑娘 |
[01:45] | It’s man trouble? | 男人的问题? |
[01:46] | Did you get a woman pregnant? | 你把人家姑娘的肚子搞大了? |
[01:49] | dear god. | 老天爷 |
[01:50] | It isn’t that. | 不是这样的 |
[01:51] | Well,stop whinging and just tell me. | 好了 别在那嚎了 告诉我吧 |
[01:58] | well…during the strike,I fell in love. | 好吧 在罢工之中 我恋爱了 |
[02:01] | – What strike? – It doesn’t matter. | – 什么罢工啊? – 这个无关紧要 |
[02:02] | The point is,I met somebody wonderful. | 重点是 我遇到了很赞的人 |
[02:05] | Fab. And? | 太棒了 接着呢? |
[02:06] | And she’s suing me for sexual assault. | 接着她控告我性侵犯 |
[02:10] | Sexual assault? | 性侵犯? |
[02:12] | stop squealing.You sound like a stuck pig. | 别嚎了 就好像你很痛苦似的 |
[02:14] | What happened? Did you touch her without her consent? | 发生了什么? 你没征得她的同意就摸她了? |
[02:16] | No,I would never! | 不 从来没有的事 |
[02:18] | She’s claiming I– she’s saying… | 她声称 我… 她说 |
[02:21] | I drugged her. | 我给她下了药 |
[02:26] | Jerry | Jerry… |
[02:28] | did you? | 你下了没? |
[02:34] | Well… maybe a little. | 也许下了点 |
[02:40] | Boston Legal Season 04 Episode 16 | |
[03:09] | I’m hoping to make it to the island on memorial day, | 我希望能在阵亡将士纪念日送到岛上 |
[03:12] | if I can dig myself out of here. | 要是我能从这里抽身而出的话 |
[03:13] | That’d be great. | 那很棒啊 |
[03:14] | We’ve missed you. | 我们想你了 |
[03:15] | Please. | 请 |
[03:19] | So… what can I do for you? | 好吧 我能为你们做些什么? |
[03:21] | – Well,take a breath,have a seat,carl. – All right. | – 顺顺气再坐下 Carl – 好的 |
[03:24] | ‘Cause this is a biggie. | 这可是件大事情 |
[03:25] | Let me have it. | 告诉我吧 |
[03:27] | We want to build an atomic bomb. | 我们打算造颗原子弹 |
[03:33] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呀? |
[03:34] | We want to build a weapon of mass destruction that we control. | 我们打算造一种由我们控制的 大规模杀伤性武器 |
[03:39] | – By “we,” you mean– – nantucket. | – 由我们 你的意思是 – 南塔基特 |
[03:41] | I’m here officially as head of the board of selectmen,and liz is here as mayor. | 我官方的身份是行政委员会的头头 Liz则是作为市长 |
[03:45] | We’re a very small island,totally exposed. | 我们是座小岛 无遮无挡 |
[03:48] | The homeowners are becoming increasingly concerned about security,and well… | 居民们日益担忧安全问题 |
[03:52] | we’re rich,we can afford it,we want one. | 我们有钱 负担得起 我们想搞一个 |
[03:56] | An atomic bomb…on nantucket? | 一颗原子弹 在南塔基特? |
[04:00] | We’ve been denied approval to purchase plutonium by the nuclear regulatory commission. | 核管理委员会拒绝我们购买钚元素 |
[04:04] | Don’t you hate that? | 真讨厌 |
[04:05] | We’d like to sue. | 我们想起诉他们 |
[04:11] | What kind of drugs are we taking on the island these days? | 现在岛上的人流行嗑什么药? |
[04:13] | Carl,I know it sounds crazy. | Carl 我知道这很疯狂 |
[04:14] | You think? | 你知道? |
[04:15] | But if something ever happens,which the government says is inevitable, | 如果发生一些政府认为无可避免的事情 |
[04:18] | by the way,who’s going to come rushing to protect us,the vineyard? | 谁会跑来保护我们 葡萄园主么? |
[04:23] | We need to look out for ourselves. | 我们得靠我们自己 |
[04:25] | And fortunately,we have the weal and the means to do so. | 幸运的是 我们有钱也有能力来这么做 |
[04:30] | You’d like… an atomic bomb. | 你想要 一颗原子弹 |
[04:33] | As soon as possible. | 尽快 |
[04:48] | oxytocin? | 催产素? |
[04:49] | It’s a hormone,not a drug. | 是激素 不是毒品 |
[04:50] | What does it do? | 干吗用的? |
[04:51] | Well,essentially,it causes people…to trust you | 从本质上来说 是令别人相信你的药 |
[04:55] | There’s a hormone that causes people to trust you? | 是一种让别人相信你的激素? |
[04:59] | I mainly used it for me. | 我主要是给我自己用的 |
[05:02] | It can also help people with social anxiies. | 它也能帮助缓解社交焦虑症 |
[05:05] | It enabled me to trust her as well. | 也能令我去信任她 |
[05:08] | I’D… spray it on like cologne. | 我就像古龙水那样拿来喷的 |
[05:12] | It has a nice,gentle fragrance,not too bold. | 气味芳香 温和 不是太浓 |
[05:16] | Anyway… | 不管怎么说 |
[05:19] | dana… that’s her name… | Dana 那是她的名字 |
[05:21] | she found out,and she’s suin | 她发现了 要起诉我 |
[05:28] | you’re disappointed in me. | 你对我很失望 |
[05:30] | Well,I am,jerry,truth be told. | 是的 Jerry 说实话 |
[05:49] | Dad? | 爸爸? |
[05:51] | Hey,dad. | 你好 爸爸 |
[05:53] | Who are you? | 你是谁? |
[05:58] | Dad,it’s–it’s me. It’s–it’s shirley. | 父亲 是我 Shirley |
[06:07] | You remember denny? | 你还记得Denny么? |
[06:10] | Denny came to say hi. | Denny是来看您的 |
[06:12] | Hi,walt. | 你好 Walt |
[06:15] | How are those,uh,ribs healing? | 肋骨恢复的怎么样啊? |
[06:20] | Lookin’ good,walt. | Walt 看起来还不错 |
[06:30] | He doesn’t like to be touched. | 他不喜欢被触碰 |
[06:33] | Where’s the attending? | 主治医生在哪? |
[06:35] | I’ll call for him. | 我去叫他 |
[06:48] | a nuclear bomb on nantucket? | 一颗原子弹 在南塔基特? |
[06:51] | Are they insane? | 他们疯了吗? |
[06:52] | Poor people are insane,whitney. | Whitney 穷鬼才是疯了 |
[06:53] | Rich people are colorful. | 有钱人叫想法多姿多彩 |
[06:55] | Yes,well,assuming the colorful people are sincere, | 好吧 假设这些多姿多彩的人们真有此意 |
[06:57] | how can you be about to actually take the case? | 你怎么能接这单官司? |
[06:59] | Well,first,their security concerns are legitimate. | 首先 他们的安全顾虑是合理合法的 |
[07:01] | Second,nuclear bombs are becoming more and more viable,easier to build. | 第二 核弹已经越来越容易被制造 |
[07:05] | The world landscape one day will be dotted with them. | 有一天核弹会密布这个世界 |
[07:08] | Why not nantucket? | 干吗南塔基特就不行? |
[07:09] | And third–most importantly– | 第三 也是最重要的 |
[07:11] | when an island full of millionaires asks us to represent them, | 当整整一岛的百万富翁来要求 我们替他们打官司 |
[07:14] | lorraine,we do not refer them to another firm. | Lorraine 我们不会让他们去找别的律所 |
[07:18] | I need you three to arm me with research and legal analysis | 我需要你们三个来帮我做调查 法律分析 |
[07:22] | as to why nantucket should have a bomb. | 为什么南塔基特应该有颗核弹 |
[07:29] | hello. I’m dr. Bromfield. | 你好 我是Bromfield医生 |
[07:33] | shirley schmidt. | 我是Shirley Schmidt |
[07:34] | Nice to meet you,though not under these circumstances. | 很高兴认识您 虽然情况不尽如人意 |
[07:38] | This is denny crane. | 这位是Denny Crane |
[07:40] | Hello. | 你好 |
[07:41] | I wish I could tell you something positive. | 我希望能告诉您一些积极的消息 |
[07:43] | I’m afraid the best we can do is try and keep him calm. | 但我恐怕我们能做到的 只是让他保持平静 |
[07:46] | I don’t dare move him. | 我都不敢挪动他 |
[07:47] | I’m concerned that he’ll reinjure his ribs. | 我担心那样他会再次伤害自己的肋骨 |
[07:50] | I would like to hook him up to a morphine drip,please. | 我希望给他打吗啡 |
[07:56] | His injuries are causing him considerable pain. | 他所受的伤令他非常的痛苦 |
[07:59] | I’d like this done as soon as possible. | 我希望能尽快 |
[08:02] | I,um… | 我… |
[08:05] | he–he seems to be comfortable now. | 他现在看上去很舒服 |
[08:07] | He’s not. | 他不舒服 |
[08:09] | I know him better than you. | 我远比你了解他 |
[08:11] | I’d like the drip,please. | 我希望能打点滴 拜托 |
[08:14] | Ms. Schmidt… | Schmidt女生 |
[08:16] | I can’t do what you’re asking me to do. | 我不能按您的要求去做 |
[08:19] | I’m asking you to manage his pain,doctor. | 医生 我在请求您缓解他的痛楚 |
[08:22] | I’m very sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[08:24] | I don’t think a morphine drip is indicated here. | 我不认为有打吗啡的必要 |
[08:26] | Ned Thiel | Ned thiel… |
[08:29] | is he still chief of staff here? | 他还是这里的主任么? |
[08:31] | He is. | 他是的 |
[08:33] | Get him. | 去请他来 |
[08:42] | Look… I know what you’re asking for,and I sympathize. | 听着… 我明白你要求什么 我深有同感 |
[08:46] | My own father died of alzheimer’s– you know this,denny– | 我父亲就是死于老年痴呆症 你知道的 Denny |
[08:49] | but we have laws. | 可我们还得遵循法律 |
[08:50] | This goes on all the time. You know that. | 这种事一直都有 你知道的 |
[08:53] | Well,it happens sometimes with,as I said,patients in severe physical pain. | 有时是会发生 正如我所说 当病人忍受极其剧烈的痛苦时 |
[08:58] | But look at him. | 但看看他 |
[09:00] | How do we couch this as pain management? | 我们怎能把这看做镇痛? |
[09:02] | You simply believe me when i tell you that he is hurting. | 我告诉你他正在受苦时 你就相信我 |
[09:06] | Come on,ned. | 得了 Ned |
[09:07] | We’re not asking for anything that doesn’t happen in every hospital every day. | 我们要求的事 又不是从来没有过 |
[09:13] | I can’T. | 我做不到 |
[09:15] | But if you get a court order forcing our hand, | 不过如果你们能拿到法庭强制令 强迫我们执行 |
[09:19] | I suppose we’ll have no choice but to abide. | 我想我们别无选择 一定遵命 |
[09:22] | I’ll argue it myself. | 我亲自出庭 |
[09:24] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[09:25] | Thank you,doctor. | 谢谢你 医生 |
[09:27] | Uh… denny? | 呃… Denny? |
[09:29] | I… I-I think I would like alan to argue this. | 我… 我更想让Alan出庭 |
[09:36] | It’s–it’s going to be tough,getting the judge off this dime,and… | 这次… 让法官做出有利判决 会有点难办 还有… |
[09:41] | I think this is sort of alan’s wheelhouse. | 我想这种事Alan最拿手了 |
[09:48] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:50] | I guess that makes sense. | 说的有道理 |
[09:53] | Let’s go get alan. | 我们去找Alan |
[10:06] | An atomic bomb… in nantucket? | 一颗原子弹 在南塔基特? |
[10:09] | Are you kidding me? | 你开玩笑吗? |
[10:10] | No,I’m not,your honor. | 不 我没有 法官大人 |
[10:11] | Nor is our president kidding when he constantly tells us to be afraid. | 我们的总统也没开玩笑 他一直要我们处在惊恐中 |
[10:14] | Nantucket is riddled with republicans,by the way. | 顺便 南塔基特岛上全是共和党人 |
[10:17] | They believe our commander in chief when he cries wolf. | 当三军总司令说狼来了时 他们深信不疑 |
[10:19] | They believe john mccain as he cries double wolf. | 当约翰・麦凯恩说有一群狼来了时 他们照信不误 |
[10:21] | Some even believe cheney when he says the bomb’s already been fired at us, | 有些人甚至相信切尼说炸弹已经启动了 |
[10:24] | it’s just on a timer. | 是定时器引爆 |
[10:26] | – The court dismisses– – oh,whoa,whoa,whoa. | – 不予受理… – 噢 噢 |
[10:31] | Your honor,as ridiculous as this may seem on its face, | 法官大人 虽然看似荒唐透顶 |
[10:35] | let’s consider,your honor,nantucket is all by itself out there. | 不过让我们想想 法官大人 南塔基特岛孤立无援 |
[10:40] | It wouldn’t be a high priority to defend should this country be under attack. | 如果国家遭受袭击 奋起反抗难道不是头等大事 |
[10:44] | Shouldn’t they be allowed to defend themselves? | 他们难道无权自卫反击吗? |
[10:47] | I would ask you at least listen to my client before quashing our request. | 在你驳回我们的诉讼前 请至少听一下我的客户怎么说 |
[10:56] | I’ll give your client 15 minutes. | 我给你的客户15分钟的时间 |
[10:59] | 3:00. | 三点整 |
[11:01] | What are you looking at? | 你在看什么? |
[11:06] | I don’t mean to sound indelicate,but how far go | 我不想粗鲁无礼 不过他的病到了什么程度? |
[11:10] | very. He’s been virtually uncommunicative for a while,but… | 非常严重 他已有一阵儿不能说话 可是… |
[11:16] | now he… doesn’t recognize anyone,including me. | 现在他…谁也认不出来 包括我在内 |
[11:21] | This man who was once bigger than life,a maverick… | 这个男人曾经叱诧风云 特立独行… |
[11:28] | it’s obscene. | 这太可恶了 |
[11:34] | Did he execute a living will? | 他是否签署了生前预嘱? (尊严死的病人在治疗开始前签署的文件 授权医生不再利用特殊疗法延长其生命) |
[11:36] | He did. | 他签过的 |
[11:38] | No extraordinary lifesaving measures,but… | 不准特殊抢救措施 不过… |
[11:43] | we’ll be asking a court’s permissi to put him to sleep. | 我们是在申请法庭强制令 让他长眠 |
[11:47] | Yes. | 好的 |
[11:53] | The proceeding will be rough,shirley. | 整个过程会很艰难 Shirley |
[11:58] | Let’s try to get this done. | 我们一起朝目标努力 |
[12:03] | – She’s coming by herself or– – no,with a lawyer. | – 她是一个人来的还是… – 不 她和律师一起来 |
[12:05] | Let’s not let this turn emotional,jerry. | 我们可不要把场面搞得太感情化 Jerry |
[12:07] | I’d prefer to be straightforward and proffer strictly a legal analysis. | 我希望直入主题 切实提供法律分析 |
[12:10] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:11] | Purring,hopping,squealing should all be kept to a minimum. | 怪叫 乱跳 哀嚎都要减到最低程度 |
[12:15] | Oh,there she is. | 哦 她来了 |
[12:24] | Jerry | Jerry. |
[12:25] | Hello. Hello. Welcome. | 你好 你好 欢迎 |
[12:27] | Hello. | 你好 |
[12:28] | Hi,I’m pepper minkin,ms.Dana strickland’s attorney. | 嗨 我是Pepper Minkin Dana Strickland小姐的律师 |
[12:32] | Katie lloyd. Pleasure. | Katie Lloyd 很荣幸见到你 |
[12:33] | Hello. | 你好 |
[12:34] | Hello. | 你好 |
[12:38] | Well,why don’t we go in? | 好了 我们干嘛不进去说呢? |
[12:40] | Would either of you like coffee? | 你们想要杯咖啡吗? |
[12:42] | I’m fine,thanks. | 不用了 谢谢 |
[12:43] | I’m good. | 我也不用了 |
[12:44] | Coffee makes the ticker race. | 咖啡让我心跳过速 |
[12:47] | jerry,she’s positively stunning. | Jerry 她是个绝代美女啊 |
[12:50] | I know. | 我知道 |
[12:50] | How much oxytocin did you use? | 你到底用了多少催产素? |
[12:53] | I didn’t mn it like that. | 我不是那个意思 |
[12:54] | Yes,you did. | 不 你就是 |
[12:55] | the island of nantucket is going to court today to actually seek legal permission | 南塔基特岛的将于今天上庭 寻求合法的许可 |
[12:59] | to build an atomic bomb as part of its defense system. | 来制造一枚原子弹 作为防卫系统的一部分 |
[13:03] | Nantucket,of course being one | 南塔基特岛 美国最富裕的城镇之一 |
[13:06] | back in court at 3:00 today. | 今天下午三点受理 |
[13:08] | Nobody,of course,expects this request to be granted, | 理所当然的 没有人期待这项请求会得到允许 |
[13:11] | but stranger things have happened. | 可怪事总会发生 |
[13:13] | Did I mention this case might get a little press? | 我有提过这案子会吸引媒体关注吗? |
[13:15] | Carl,I’m begging you,let me in on this. | Carl 我恳求你 让我一起办这个案子 |
[13:18] | Uh,well,denn ou can see,we’re alreadya little thick with lawyers. | Denny 你也看到了 我们这的律师已经有点多了 |
[13:21] | All my life,I’d hoped that somehow,someday, | 我这辈子都希望 有一天… |
[13:23] | I’d be called upon to help build a nuclear bomb. | 我会被召去协助制造一枚原子弹 |
[13:26] | Could there be anything more american than to be part of blowing up another country? | 还有什么比参与炸毁另一个国家 更能体现美国精神呢? |
[13:29] | I got chills. | 我激动得要死 |
[13:31] | Um… denny can take my place. | 呃… Denny可以取代我的位置 |
[13:34] | With all due respect,I don’t want to be part of this. | 无意冒犯 我不想参与其中 |
[13:36] | I think this case is reprehensible. | 我觉得这个案子应受到指责 |
[13:38] | I’m sure texas would love to have its own bomb. | 我肯定得克萨斯州也很乐意造原子弹 |
[13:40] | Maybe alabama,too. | 也许阿拉巴马州也是 |
[13:42] | Have you given any thought… | 你们想过没有… |
[13:45] | what if we should win this case? | 如果我们赢了这案子会如何? |
[13:47] | We won’T. | 我们不会赢的 |
[13:47] | And that makes it okay? | 所以就万事大吉了? |
[13:49] | Take a despicable cause for a pile of money because you know you won’t win? | 为一堆钱接一个卑鄙的案子 因为你知道不会赢? |
[13:53] | What a girl. No wonder he wears dresses. | 真是个女孩 难怪他穿裙子 |
[13:56] | I’m not doing this case. | 我不接这案子 |
[14:01] | Girl. | 女孩 |
[14:03] | I’m in. | 我接了 |
[14:08] | He doesn’t want to live like this. | 他不想这样残度余生 |
[14:10] | His mind is rotting away,m-much of it’s already gone. | 他的思维已经烂掉 很多已经不复存在 |
[14:14] | His organs are shutting down,he’s incontinent. | 他的器官衰竭 大小便失禁 |
[14:18] | the indignity is beyond words. | 这种羞辱无法用言语表达 |
[14:20] | When you father was competent,did you two ever discuss… | 在您父亲有自理能力的时候 你们是否讨论过… |
[14:25] | we did. | 讨论过 |
[14:26] | He signed a living will. | 他签了份生前预嘱 |
[14:28] | He did not want to be kept alive by extraordinary means. | 他不想靠特殊措施维持生命 |
[14:31] | But we’re not talking about keeping him alive with any extraordinary means. | 但我们在这不是在讨论 用特殊方式维持他的生命 |
[14:36] | You’re here asking for permission to euthanize him. | 你是来向法庭申请允许他安乐死 |
[14:39] | My father is in extreme discomfort. | 我父亲非常的不舒服 |
[14:41] | I am asking to manage his pain with morphine. | 我要求用吗啡来镇痛 |
[14:44] | Yes,you have to couch it in those terms to get the court order, | 是 你得用这些措辞来获取法庭强制令 |
[14:47] | but,ms.Schmidt,you’re not denying what this is really about,are you? | 但是Schmidt女士 你没否认这实际上是为什么 是吗? |
[14:52] | Are you denying this happens all the time under the heading of “pain management”? | 你否认这一直都是以”镇痛”为借来做的吗? |
[14:56] | When there is actual pain to manage, | 当真需要镇痛时 |
[14:58] | but here,your father isn’t in any real physical discomfiture. | 但这 你的父亲并未感觉 到任何真正的身体上不适 |
[15:02] | He’s–he’s probably not even aware of his mental state. | 他可能都不知道自己的精神状态 |
[15:06] | The pain we’re talking about managing here is yours. | 我们这里说到的镇痛 是你的痛 |
[15:11] | First of all,my father suffered some broken ribs. | 首先 我的父亲的肋骨骨折了 |
[15:14] | He is in pain. | 他感到疼痛 |
[15:16] | Second,the agitation he | 第二 他所经历的焦虑… 害怕 忧虑 |
[15:21] | are an extreme form of discomfiture,mr. Hollis. | 都是不适的一种极端形式 Hollis先生 |
[15:24] | Please do not suggest to me that he does not anguish. | 请不要告诉我说他没有极度痛苦 |
[15:35] | ****Is we can manage his pain quite effectively without morphine, | 事实上是 我们不吗啡也能有效地镇痛 |
[15:38] | and we are,with codeine. | 我们就是那么做的 用可待因 |
[15:41] | The other fact… | 另一个事实 |
[15:44] | is what,sir? | 是什么 先生? |
[15:46] | Well,the pain we’re talking about is f f that will heal. | 我们这所说的疼痛 是由于能痊愈的损伤引起的 |
[15:50] | In cases where morphine drips have been turned up with fatal results, | 万一吗啡导致病人死亡 |
[15:53] | it’s irreversible pain,which,I certainly sympathize with the family’s position. | 这种无可挽回的痛 我很同情家属的立场 |
[15:57] | If it were my father,I would probably want to do the same thing. | 如果是我的父亲 我也可能想这么做 |
[16:01] | But the law simply doesn’t allow it. | 但是法律不允许 |
[16:04] | I read an article that said people in comas can actually experience physical pain. | 我读过一篇报道 说昏迷中的人 可以真实的感受到身理疼痛 |
[16:09] | Is that true? | 是真的吗? |
[16:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:11] | It’s possible that a conscious person could be experiencing pain, | 有没可能一个有意识的人可以感到疼痛 |
[16:16] | but because of his advanced mental deterioration, | 但因为他的智力极度退化 |
[16:19] | that he be incapable of communicating that pain? | 他不能表达疼痛? |
[16:22] | I suppose it’s possible. | 我觉得这个是有可能的 |
[16:23] | So if a doctor,say,wanted to make such a finding, | 那如果某个医生说 想得到这样的结论 |
[16:27] | let’s say the patient was his own father,say, | 比如说 病人是他自己的父亲 |
[16:29] | he might be able to find pain,prescribe the morphine, | 他也许能找出疼痛 开具吗啡 |
[16:33] | and nobody could state to a reasonable medical certainty that he was wrong. | 而且没人能在医学上肯定他错了 |
[16:39] | I’d like to think that my medical ethics would prevent me from doing that. | 我觉得 我的医学伦理道德 会阻止我这样 |
[16:42] | I see. So in your opinion,the medically ethical thing to do here | 知道了 就你的观点 符合医学伦理道德的做法 |
[16:45] | is let this person’s brain continue to rot until all his vital organs shut down, | 就是让他的大脑继续腐烂 直到他所有的重要器官都衰竭 |
[16:50] | he shrinks to 85 pounds,his esophagus closes up so he can no longer eat, | 他萎缩到85磅 他的食道不通 这样他也不能吃了 |
[16:53] | and he begins to suffer grand mal seizures? | 开始遭受癫痫大发作? |
[16:55] | These are the ethics you bring to this courtrm today. | 这就是你今天在法庭上谈到的道德 |
[17:10] | It’s a sad day indeed when the science of love is chemically manipulated. | 当对爱情的科学 被化学操纵 这真是可悲的一天 |
[17:14] | Men ply women with a little wine on occasions. | 有时 男士会借助酒精的力量追女人 |
[17:17] | Women have been known to throw on intoxicating perfumes. | 女士们喜欢都喷点醉人的香水 |
[17:20] | My client spritzed himself with a little cologne. | 我的当事人洒了点古龙水 |
[17:22] | Laced with a hormone,ms. Lloyd, | 带荷尔蒙的古龙水 Lloyd女士 |
[17:25] | one naturally released in the body during orgasm. | 在高潮时 身体会自然释放这种荷尔蒙 |
[17:28] | It influences one’s ability to bond. | 能影响一个人的交往能力 |
[17:31] | Doctors call it the nesting hormone. | 医生称其为催产素 |
[17:33] | It’s a far cry from perfume. | 这和香水是大不一样的东西 |
[17:35] | But as I understand my client,he | 但是正如我所了解的 我的当事人 用它来放松自己 |
[17:39] | that doesn’t make it right. | 也不意味着这就是正确的 |
[17:40] | Jerry never meant to victimize her. | Jerry并无意危害她 |
[17:42] | May I respond? | 我可以说句话吗? |
[17:43] | Certainly. | 当然 |
[17:47] | I regarded you as profoundly honest, | 我认为你非常的正直 |
[17:50] | and to discover that you were deceitful in the most personal of ways… | 却发现你在最私人的方面欺骗了我 |
[17:57] | it’s not simply that I-I don’t ust you any longer,jerry. | Jerry 这不简单是我不再信任你 |
[18:02] | How am i supposed to trust myself… | 我怎么相信自己 |
[18:06] | to bond with anybody? | 与任何人交往? |
[18:20] | mr. Engels,how are you employed? | Engels先生 你的工作是什么? |
[18:22] | Uh,I was hired as a physicist by the town of nantucket. | 我是南塔基特镇聘的物理学家 |
[18:25] | Hired for what? | 聘来做什么的? |
[18:26] | Uh,to design an atomic bomb for them. | 为他们设计枚核弹 |
[18:28] | And are you capable of doing that? | 你有这个能力吗? |
[18:30] | Quite. | 完全可以 |
[18:31] | Could you describe,generally,how one makes them? | 你能大概解释下它们的原理吗? |
[18:33] | Uh,yes. | 可以 |
[18:34] | Uh,well,you have your fissionable material,say plutonium,in the middle, | 假设中间有个可裂变的元素 比如钚 |
[18:37] | encapsulated in a metallic sphere lined with beryllium, | 被压缩成一个金属球 并注入铍元素 |
[18:40] | which promotes the fission process. | 以加速裂变反应的发生 |
[18:42] | Uh,outside that are shaped charges of dynamite. | 外面再包裹上锥孔装药的炸药 |
[18:45] | Now when the dynamite explodes,the plutonium compressed. | 那么当炸药被引爆时会压缩钚 |
[18:48] | It reaches critical mass,it fissions,and boom! | 当它达到临界质量时 就会发生裂变 嘣! |
[18:52] | Sorry. I…always get a kick out of…doing that. | 对不起 我一直觉得这样做非常好玩 |
[18:56] | Um,I guess the question is,uh, | 我猜问题是 |
[18:58] | what’s to stop anybody from having a bomb if it’s this simple? | 如果这么简单的话 是什么让人们很难有枚炸弹呢? |
[19:02] | uh,well,money. | 钱 |
[19:03] | The real difficulty is in obtaining the fissionable material, | 真正的困难是获取裂变材料 |
[19:05] | say plutonium or enriched uranium. | 比如说钚或者浓缩铀 |
[19:07] | But once you have that,the rest is easy. | 但一旦有了这些 其他的就简单了 |
[19:09] | And this bomb would actually be viable? | 那这枚核弹就真的可行啦? |
[19:12] | Oh,yeah. | 是的 |
[19:13] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:14] | Um,you see,the thing about the nuclear bomb,your honor, | 法官阁下 您看 核弹 |
[19:16] | is that it doesn’t have tbe made perfect. | 不用非得做得很完美 |
[19:18] | Um,the one they dropped on hiroshima had 60 kilos of enriched uranium in it, | 他们在广岛投下的那枚 里面有60千克的浓缩铀 |
[19:22] | and only about 1% of that actually fissioned. | 只有1%发生了裂变 |
[19:24] | So over 90% of that bomb was a dud? | 所以那炸弹的90%都没用? |
[19:26] | Yes. But I mean,as far as dudso– | 是的 但是我的意思是 由于它是闷弹 |
[19:29] | boom! | 嘣! |
[19:30] | SoY. | 对不起 |
[20:03] | so,bill,what’s going on? | Bill 怎么样? |
[20:06] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[20:07] | What I I mean is,this is a ridiculous case. | 我是说这是桩荒谬的案子 |
[20:09] | I’ve never known you to be a ridiculous man. | 我从来不知道你是个荒谬的人 |
[20:11] | So why don’t you tell me wh to? | 你为什么不讲讲你什么目的? |
[20:14] | Do you realize what a target nantucket is? | 你没意识到南塔基特 是多大的一个目标吗? |
[20:17] | When you think of the iconic staples | 当你想到世界憎恨的美国形象 |
[20:20] | rich people,wall street gluttons,evil | 富得流油的人 华尔街狂人 邪恶的政客 好莱坞制片人 |
[20:24] | they all have homes on nantucket. | 他们全在南塔基特有房子 |
[20:27] | It’s one-stop shopping. | 这是一站式购物 |
[20:28] | Bill… what are you up to? | Bill 你目的何在? |
[20:34] | look,I know this is absurd. | 你瞧 我知道这很可笑 |
[20:36] | Now we can’t possibly win it. | 现在我们不可能赢 |
[20:38] | But? | 但是? |
[20:39] | But we have a presidential election coming up, | 我们马上有个总统选举 |
[20:42] | and all we hear about is the war,the economy,the mortgage crisis,the recession. | 然后我们听到的全都是 战争 经济 次贷危机 衰退 |
[20:47] | Nuclear proliferation has been pushed right off the table. | 核扩散问题都被晾一边去了 |
[20:50] | None of the candidates are talking about it. | 没有候选人谈到这个问题 |
[20:51] | Nuclear proleration. | 核扩散 |
[20:53] | Do you realize bush tore up the arms treaty? | 你知道布什撕毁了军控条约吗? |
[20:55] | We offered to sell nuclear technology to | 我们答应卖给印度民用核技术 给平民… 看在上帝的份上 |
[21:00] | and nobody’s even discussing this. | 都没人讨论过这个 |
[21:02] | So this lawsuit… | 那这个诉讼 |
[21:03] | it’s a way to put the topic back on the table. | 重新引起人们注意的方法 |
[21:06] | It’s not just terrorists we need to fear,carl. | 我们不光得害怕恐怖分子 Carl |
[21:07] | It’s countries,too. | 还有些国家 |
[21:09] | So,yeah,you go get ’em,counselor. | 所以 打败他们 律师 |
[21:13] | You go get me my bomb. | 你去赢回我的核弹 |
[21:31] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[21:32] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[21:36] | So… how was your day? | 那 你今天怎么样? |
[21:40] | Oh… same old– went to court,trying to kill my father. You? | 哦 老样子 上庭 试图杀了我爸爸 你呢? |
[21:45] | Trying to get nantucket a bomb. | 试着让南塔基特得到枚核弹 |
[21:47] | Oh,are we stuck in a rut? | 我们陷入了乏味? |
[21:51] | is there anything I can do? | 我能为你做什么? |
[21:53] | It’s funny,you turn on tv and see… | 有趣 你打开电视 可以看到 |
[21:58] | advertisement after advertisement about how to have a better life. | 一则接一则的广告 告诉人民怎么样拥有更好的生活 |
[22:06] | Why can’t we help people to have a better death? | 就为什么不能帮助人们 怎样更好地死呢? |
[22:09] | Shirley,you and I know the only thing more powerful than the religious right or, | Shirley 你我都知道比宗教权利 也就是上帝 更强大的是 |
[22:17] | well,god in this country– the pharmaceutical companies. | 制药公司 |
[22:19] | The best chance at physician-assisted suicide | 让医生协作自杀合法化 最好的机会 |
[22:22] | is for some big drug company to invent the euthanasia pill. | 就是一些大的医药公司 发明安乐死的药 |
[22:25] | They’ll lobby congress. | 他们会游说国会 |
[22:28] | done deal. | 搞定 |
[22:31] | I miss you. | 我想你 |
[22:34] | I miss you,too. | 我也想你 |
[22:38] | Should we get back together? | 我们能重归于好吗? |
[22:40] | at least until,you know,dad’s dead. | 至少在你爸爸过世之前 |
[22:43] | I could help you through the rough times. | 我能帮你渡过难关 |
[22:47] | I don’t know any man who is more adorable with his cynicism. | 我还真不知道 谁的更玩世不恭比你更可爱 |
[22:53] | Anything you need,I’m here. | 你需要任何帮助的话 都可以找我 |
[22:57] | Thank you,carl. | 谢谢你 Carl |
[23:00] | I think for now what I need is just to sit here alone. | 我现在最需要自己静一静 |
[23:30] | you just flat-out refused to work on the case? | 你就直接拒绝这个案子了? |
[23:33] | Yes. | 是 |
[23:34] | And heidn’t fire you? | 他都没炒了你? |
[23:35] | He likes me. | 他舍不得 |
[23:36] | Whenever I’m around him,I slap on a little oxytocin,and he’s like putty. | 接近他时 只要我抹上点催产素 他就乖乖的了 |
[23:40] | Oh,very funny. | 噢 真搞笑 |
[23:41] | Did you slap on a dress while you’re at it,sing him a song,poop-head?! | 你是不是也穿着裙子给他唱歌? 蠢货! |
[23:44] | – Jerry – Oh,what?! | – 怎么了? – Jerry. |
[23:46] | sorry. | 对不起 |
[23:48] | Listen,I’ve read up on the science of this hormone. | 我研读了关于这种荷尔蒙的文献 |
[23:52] | While there’s no evidence it can make one fall in love,it evidently can facilitate bonding. | 没证据表明它能使人坠入爱河 但明显可促进依恋感 |
[23:55] | Some trapists actually prescribe it for relationship maintenance. | 一些心理医生开做 恋情维持剂用 |
[23:59] | Bottom line–she very much does have a case,I’m sorry to say. | 关键的是 理在她那边 我很抱歉 |
[24:02] | If this case is to go away,I think you’ll have to accomplish it. | 我认为如果想阻止立案 只有你自己能办到 |
[24:05] | You need to talk directly to her and hope she’s persuaded. | 你必须直接跟她谈谈 希望能说服她 |
[24:09] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[24:10] | I’ve set up another meeting for 3:00. | 我已经定了 在三点见面 |
[24:12] | Be candid,speak from the heart,humbly,nivel, | 发自肺腑地 坦率地 跟她谈 |
[24:15] | and no matter what happens,you must refrain from calling her a poop-head. | 无论如何 你必须忍住 不要骂她是蠢货 |
[24:19] | Can you manage that? | 你能做到么? |
[24:22] | This is not a new debate, | 这不是个新问题 |
[24:24] | but the fact that we still continue to have the debate in this country baffles me. | 困扰我的是 我们还要为此争论不休 |
[24:29] | People are helped to die every single day in virtually every hospital,in hospices,at home, | 事实上 安乐死每天都在实施 在所有的医院 收容院和家里 |
[24:36] | all under the “wink wink” of pain management. | 都美其名曰”疼痛控制” |
[24:39] | And yet every time someone suggests bringing this practice | 但只要有人提出要公开”安乐死” |
[24:43] | out of the closet,opponents leap up,screaming there’s potential for abuse, | 对方都会跳起来嚷着 这有滥用的可能 |
[24:46] | we’ll end up killing people who want to live. | 最后给我们扣上强夺性命的帽子 |
[24:49] | Come on. | 拜托 |
[24:50] | If there’s potential for abuse,then by all means,let’s regulate it. | 要真有可能滥用 那我们就倾尽所能去控制它 |
[24:53] | Have an administrative hearing or go to court like we’re doing now, | 开个行政听证会 或者 像我们这样诉诸法律 |
[24:55] | but there’s much more potential for abuse when we do it secretly. | 非要遮遮掩掩进行的话 更有滥用的可能 |
[24:58] | No,no,no. Now there’s a good reason for the secrecy. | 不不不 这种遮掩是有道理的 |
[25:01] | The last thing we want to do is to cultivate a culture of suicide. | 我们最不想就是 造成自杀之风气 |
[25:05] | almost 20% of today’s teenagers contemplate taking their own lives at one time or another. | 如今大约20%的青少年 有过轻生的企图 |
[25:10] | A recent 5-year analysis showed a 20% rise in suicides among middle-aged people. | 最近的一个5年调查显示 中年人自杀率升高了20% |
[25:15] | It’s becoming epidemic. | 这已经愈演愈烈 |
[25:17] | Not the time to lift the stigma. | 还不到为其正名的时候 |
[25:19] | We would not be sending the message that– | 我们不会传达这样的信息 |
[25:20] | oh,yes,we would,Mr. Shore. | 不 我们会的 Shore先生 |
[25:22] | You make it permissible,that’s one step closer to making it acceptable. | 要是使它”可行” 那距离”可接受”就更近了一步 |
[25:25] | And the real danger is that elderly parents start thinking | 真正可怕的是 年老的父母会开始觉得 |
[25:27] | it’s maybe their duty to spare their children | 自己有责任早日西去 |
[25:30] | so they won’t drain their finances. | 这样孩子们不会花光自己的积蓄 |
[25:31] | Thisould not be th case. | 不会这样的 |
[25:33] | It could be tomorrow’s case. | 明天可能会 |
[25:34] | Which is why we take it on se by case basis,addressing all the concerns you raised. | 正是因此我们才具体问题具体分析 一一解决你提出的问题 |
[25:38] | But why must we have an absolute blanket ban | 但为什么不分青红皂白 一概禁止呢? |
[25:42] | when it causes such immeasurable suffering for so many? | 这给许多人带来了不可估量的痛苦 |
[25:46] | Because it’s not potential for abuse that’s really in play,counsel. | 因为关键不在于滥用之嫌 辩方律师 |
[25:50] | Let’s all admit that. | 让我们都承认这一点 |
[25:51] | It’s politics. | 这是政治规则 |
[25:52] | And the legislature gets to make the laws,not the judges. | 是立法机关立法 而不是法官 |
[25:55] | But it’s for the judges to safeguard the constitution. | 但是是由法官来捍卫宪法 |
[25:58] | Included therein i ifundamental right to privacy. | 其中就包括最基本的个人隐私权 |
[26:01] | Can there be anything more private,more personal than the destiny of one’s own body,one’s life? | 比起一个人自己身体和生命 还有什么更加私密吗? |
[26:08] | It’s also for the judges to step in and be huma | 当只求政治正确 胆小如鼠的国会 不敢这么做时 |
[26:12] | when a gutless,politically expedient congress refuses to do so. | 法官应该仁慈地插手 |
[26:16] | My god,we put dogs to sleep to spare their needless suffering. | 上帝啊 为了不让狗受不必要的痛苦 我们可以对其实施安乐死 |
[26:20] | Why don’t we extend the same compassion to human beings? | 为什么不能也怜悯一下人类呢? |
[26:24] | This man is terminal. | 这个人是绝症末期了 |
[26:25] | He will die. | 就要不久于人世 |
[26:26] | He fears people,all people. | 他害怕别人 所有的人 |
[26:28] | He can’t control his bowels. | 他大小便失禁 |
[26:30] | He has an utter lack of cognizance and an inability to have any meaningful exchange,or even contact. | 他有严重的认知障碍 并且无法进行任何交流 |
[26:36] | Would you choose to live like that? | 你愿意那样生活么? |
[26:38] | Would anybody? | 谁会愿意呢? |
[26:38] | To allow assisted suicide is to say that life itself has no intrinsic value,no sanctity. | 允许安乐死就是否定生命的内在价值 否定生命的尊严 |
[26:44] | Oh,baloneY. | 一派胡言! |
[26:45] | I’m saying walter schmidt’s life,in its current state,has no intrinsic value. | 我说的是Walter Schmidt的生命 此刻 这生命已经没有内在价值 |
[26:50] | He lies in his bed with no apparent capacity to discern or think. | 他枯卧在床 已然没有观察和思考的能力 |
[26:55] | His days have devolved into a horrible cycle of soiling his bedsheets | 他的生活已经陷入了 日复一日屎尿在床的痛苦循环 |
[26:59] | and screaming incoherently at the very touch of the nurse who cleans him. | 给他清洗身子的护士只要一碰到他 他就会惊叫个不停 |
[27:04] | His life is a misery. | 他的生活痛苦至极 |
[27:05] | I’m sorry. | 我很遗憾地说 |
[27:06] | There is no sanctity in that. | 这种生命毫不神圣 |
[27:08] | I don’t care what… | 我才不管… |
[27:21] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[27:27] | My,uh,best friend has alzheimer’s,in the very early stages. | 我最最好的朋友也得了老年痴呆症 还处在非常初期的阶段 |
[27:32] | It hasn’T… | 还没有… |
[27:36] | he is A…grand lover of life, | 他无比地热爱生活 |
[27:40] | and will be for some time. | 今后仍将如此 |
[27:41] | I believe even when his mind starts to really go, | 我相信 即便他真的开始失去心智 |
[27:45] | he’ll still fish and he’ll laugh and love. | 他仍会垂钓 欢笑 纵情生活 |
[27:51] | And as it progresses,he’ll still nt to live | 随着病情发展 他会仍想活下去 |
[27:54] | because there’ll be value for him,in a friendship,in a cigar,in… | 一段友谊 一支雪茄 对他来说都是有意义的 |
[28:03] | truth is,I don’t think he’ll ever c cd say,”this is the day I want to die.” | 说实话 我不认为他会对我说 “我想死于今日” |
[28:09] | But the day is coming,and he won’t know it. | 但是时辰将到 而他却不会知晓 |
[28:18] | This is perhaps the… | 这也许是… |
[28:21] | the most insidious thing about alzheimer’s,it… | 老年痴呆症最阴险之处 |
[28:26] | but you see… | 但是… |
[28:28] | he trusts me to know when that day has arrived. | 他托付我来决定 时辰到未到 |
[28:31] | He trusts me to safeguard his dignity,his legacy and self-respect | 他托付我来捍卫他的 遗产 荣耀和尊严 |
[28:40] | he trusts me to prevent his end from becoming a mindless piece of mush. | 他托付我来阻止他成为行尸走肉 |
[28:47] | And I will. | 我会的 |
[28:49] | It will be an unbearably painful… | 对我来说 人世间… |
[28:57] | thing for me. | 最痛苦的事莫过于此 |
[29:01] | But I will do it because I love him. | 但我仍会这么做 因为 我爱他 |
[29:03] | I will end his suffering | 我会终结他的痛苦 |
[29:05] | because it’s the only decent,humane and loving thing a person can do. | 因为这是一个人唯一能做的 正确的 人道的 充满爱意的抉择 |
[29:18] | Ms. Schmidt is here today because she loves her father. | Schmidt女士今天坐在这里 因为她深爱着她的父亲 |
[29:23] | She’s asking you to show mercy that the law refuseso. | 她请求您给予 法律所不能给予的仁慈 |
[29:30] | She is asking you to play god. | 她是在请求您扮演上帝 |
[29:33] | Your honor,whatever one’s belief in god, | 法官大人 无论人的信仰是什么 |
[29:35] | I know we can all agree,some lives are taken far too early, | 有一点我们都能同意 那就是 有些人的生命结束的太早 |
[29:40] | and others… far too late. | 而有些人… 太晚了 |
[30:07] | I really don’t like playing god. | 我实在不想扮演上帝 |
[30:09] | I do believe in god,by the way. | 虽然我确实信仰上帝 |
[30:11] | I believe there’s a sanctity to every human life. | 我还相信每个人的生命都是神圣的 |
[30:15] | The idea that doctors and relatives get to start weighing the quality of a given life | 一想到医生和亲属可以权衡 生命的质量 |
[30:21] | to decide who shall live,who shall die,it horrifies me. | 决定谁该活 谁该死 就令我不寒而栗 |
[30:26] | And I see tremendous potential for abuse. | 我还认为这很可能被滥用 |
[30:32] | But there is no suggestion of such abuse here. | 但在这里却看不到这种嫌疑 |
[30:36] | Mr. Schmidt is terminal. | Schmidt先生行将就木 |
[30:38] | His condition is irreversible. | 对他的病情 已没有回天之力 |
[30:40] | He is suffering. | 他经受着巨大的痛苦 |
[30:42] | The law allows patients to refuse medical treatment even when to do so means death. | 法律允许病人拒绝治疗 即便这么做会导致死亡 |
[30:47] | It allows the disconnection of nutrition and hydration tubes, | 还允许拔掉营养物质和水分插管 |
[30:51] | thereby basically starng the person to death. | 基本就是把病人饿死 |
[30:56] | What rational distinction can there be for not allowing a more humane method? | 凭什么阻止一种更人道的手段呢? |
[31:04] | Plaintiff’s motion is granted. | 原告动议允许 |
[31:09] | Ms.Schmidt,my prayers are with you. | Schmidt女士 我将为你们祈祷 |
[31:14] | adjourned. | 休庭 |
[31:31] | First,let me say,I have thought deeply about my actions, | 首先 我认真反思过我的行为 |
[31:36] | for which,I conclude,I have no excuse. | 我承认 我没有任何借口 |
[31:39] | Accordingly,I will not seek to proffer any. | 因此 我也不会提出借口 |
[31:42] | However… | 不过… |
[31:45] | the thing out love,sweetheart,is,come on,we all throw up fronts and… | 爱情就是这样 宝贝 我们都表明姿态了… |
[31:57] | the thing about love is,people often try to remake themselves in their lover’s eyes, | 爱情即是如此 人们总想在爱人面前重塑自身 |
[32:04] | especially in new relationships. | 特别是在新的恋人面前 |
[32:07] | We want to present the most flattering version of ourselves. | 我们总想展现自己最有魅力的一面 |
[32:13] | We want to seem smarter,funnier. | 希望自己表现得更聪明 更幽默 |
[32:16] | We… pretend to be something we’re not. | 我们… 都不愿展现真实的自我 |
[32:21] | I… I wanted you to think I was… | 我… 希望在你面前… |
[32:27] | more confident than I am. | 表现的更加自信 |
[32:30] | I wanted you to feel safer with me than women typically feel. | 我想让你感觉更有安全感 |
[32:34] | I wanted to have an edge,which… | 我想变得更有优势 |
[32:38] | clearly,I do not enjoy. | 很明显 我从来没有过 |
[32:45] | You are a beautiful woman. | 你是个漂亮的女人 |
[32:49] | I am an odd man who stutters,purrs,coos,squeaks… | 我是个古怪的人 说话结巴 怪叫 嘟嘟囔囔 |
[32:57] | with all the self-confidence of a mayfly. | 自信心少得可怜 |
[33:02] | But like it or not,babe,this is what you get,and… | 不管你喜欢与否 宝贝 我就这个样 |
[33:09] | all of this is to say… | 我是想说 |
[33:12] | I did a remarkably stupid,unforgivable thing… | 我的所作所为愚蠢至极 不可饶恕 |
[33:19] | because I have fallen in love with you, | 只因为我爱你至深 |
[33:23] | and I am desperate for you to fall in love with me. | 也渴望你也能爱上我 |
[33:32] | Your honor,we’re trying to build a world where we have fewer weapons as opposed to more. | 法官大人 我们始终致力于减少武器数量 |
[33:37] | Oh,that’s simply not true. | 哦 这完全是错误的 |
[33:38] | Bush tore up the arms control treaties. | 布什总统撕毁了军控条约 |
[33:39] | I am not gonna get into a foreign policy debate. | 我不想跟你争论外交政策 |
[33:42] | Suffice it to say that nuclear bombs belong in the hands of stable,sovereign,res– | 咱们只谈核武器应该掌握在 稳定独立的国家手里… |
[33:46] | – stable? – Not– | – 稳定? – 而不是… |
[33:47] | iran may have a bomb,for god sakes. North korea has one. | 算了吧 伊朗可能有武器 北朝鲜也有 |
[33:50] | It is the united states government’s job to protect us,not some tony resort island. | 保护我们是美国政府的职责 不关托尼度假岛什么事 |
[33:55] | Our federal government is broken. | 我们的联邦政府不可信 |
[33:57] | E illegal aliens streaming across the border. | 你瞧 非法移民随意出入边境 |
[34:00] | Our military is bogged down in iraq,maybe for a hundred years | 如果最高法院能选总统 |
[34:02] | if the supreme court gets to pick our president again. | 那我们的军队 还要在伊拉克困上100年 |
[34:05] | The national guard is depleted. | 国民警卫队军力空虚 |
[34:07] | We can’t protect a levee in new orleans against a hurricane. | 我们都不能保证新奥尔良的防洪堤 经受住飓风的考验 |
[34:10] | And come on,everybody has a bomb– france,china,russia… | 拜托 人人都有核武 法国 中国 俄罗斯 |
[34:16] | israel… | 还有以色列… |
[34:17] | iran,with that whack job “I’m in a dinner jacket.” | 也许还有伊朗 他们”我穿着燕尾服”的总统内贾德 |
[34:20] | Why not nantucket? | 南塔基特为什么不行? |
[34:21] | They’re far more reasonable,more stable. | 他们更讲理 更稳定 |
[34:23] | And hey,how about this? | 还有一个理由呢 |
[34:25] | They’re on our side. | 他们跟我们在同一战线 |
[34:26] | Why can’t they have a bomb? | 他们为什么不能有核弹? |
[34:27] | Okay,I’ve heard enough. | 好了 我听够了 |
[34:29] | Mr. Sack,you can’t expect me to grant your request here. | Sack先生 你不会期望 我现在同意你的请求 |
[34:33] | Sure | 为什么不能 看我这姿势 |
[34:38] | I can I had my clerk do a little research. | 我让我的职员做过研究 |
[34:40] | It wasn’t pretty. | 结果并不好 |
[34:41] | You’re right. Our current president tore up the arms control treaties. | 你说的没错 现任总统撕毁了军控条约 |
[34:46] | A lot of countries seem to be getting the bomb now. | 很多国家也开始备有核弹 |
[34:49] | And you left out pakistan, | 你刚才忘记说巴基斯坦了 |
[34:52] | which is perhaps the scariest of althey might be on our side today, | 他们可能是最大的威胁 也许他们今天站在我们一方 |
[34:57] | but it’s not a stretch to see islamic extremists taking over there,and then what? | 但一旦伊斯兰激进分子接管那里 结果会如何? |
[35:03] | Their nuclear arsenal is massive. | 他们拥有庞大的核武器储备 |
[35:06] | This in the country where bin laden may be hiding. | 本拉登就可能藏身该国 |
[35:08] | And we’re supposed to feel safe with whatever rogue government is in place? | 就他们那个流氓政府执政 我们该有安全感么? |
[35:13] | My god. | 我的天啊 |
[35:16] | I don’t have the answer. | 我也没有答案 |
[35:19] | but in my gut,I simply cannot believe it lies in giving an atomic bomb to nantucket. | 但就我感觉 批准南塔基特岛 发展原子弹也不能解决问题 |
[35:29] | plaintiff’s motion is denied. | 驳回原告的动议 |
[35:31] | We’re adjourned. | 现在休庭 |
[35:32] | * First we got the bomb and that was good * First we got the bomb and that was good | |
[35:34] | * ’cause we love peace and motherhood * ’cause we love peace and motherhood | |
[35:36] | * Then Russia got the bomb but that’s okay * then russia got the bomb,but that’s okay | |
[35:39] | * ’cause the balance of power’s maintained that way * ’cause the balance of power’s maintained that way | |
[35:41] | * Who’s next? * who’s next? | |
[35:45] | * Oh France got the bomb but don’t you grieve * Oh,france got the bomb,but don’t you grieve | |
[35:48] | * ’cause they’re on our side I believe * ’cause they’re on our side,I believe | |
[35:50] | * China got the bomb but have no fears * china got the bomb,but have no fears | |
[35:53] | * They can’t wipe us out for at least five years * they can’t wipe us out for at least five years… | |
[35:55] | Hello. Welcome. Hello. | 你好 欢迎啊 |
[35:58] | I got your message. | 我收到你的信息了 |
[35:59] | I’m here. | 所以来了 |
[36:02] | dana,I… | Dana 我… |
[36:06] | I don’t know how else to convey how sorry I am– | 我不知道 该怎么表示歉意 |
[36:09] | Jerry… | jerry… |
[36:12] | I’m sorry as well. | 我也很抱歉 |
[36:15] | As hurt and as betrayed as I felt… | 虽然我感觉被背叛 感觉很伤心 |
[36:19] | suing you? | 但起诉你? |
[36:21] | That was wrong. | 简直是大错特错 |
[36:23] | I believe you are the man I thought you were. | 我相信 你跟我想象中的一样好 |
[36:27] | Just… | 只是… |
[36:29] | well,maybe a little more vulnerable than i realized. | 也许比我想象的更脆弱 |
[36:37] | is there… | 我们… |
[36:41] | do we have a chance of getting back? | 还有没有机会重新开始? |
[36:42] | I…would like that,actually. | 其实… 我也有这个想法 |
[36:46] | I–I’d really like that. | 我也很想重新开始 |
[37:18] | how’s he doing? | 他怎么样了? |
[37:20] | We started the drip three hours ago. | 三个小时前开始输液了 |
[37:26] | His breath has slowed almost to. | 他已经奄奄一息 |
[37:35] | he was quite a man. | 他是个佼佼者 |
[37:43] | Strong,freewheeling… | 内心坚韧 不受约束 |
[37:46] | a lawyer’s lawyer. | 律师中的律师 |
[37:49] | And a daughter’s father. | 也是女儿的父亲 |
[37:57] | I’ve known this day was coming for some time. I… | 我知道这一天会来临 |
[38:02] | I even prayed for it,knowing it would be a blessing,but… | 我知道死亡是种解脱 甚至还祈祷过这一天 但是… |
[38:08] | no matter… | 无论如何… |
[38:13] | I don’T… | 我都不… |
[38:16] | I don’t think anyone’s ever prepared for a parent to die,no matter what you think. | 无论你怎么看 对于父母的过世 我们谁都不会准备好 |
[38:30] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[38:31] | Alan,thank U. | Alan 谢谢你 |
[38:39] | With all your nonsense,I… | 因为你口无遮拦 |
[38:43] | I fully expect to have to fire you one day. | 所以我早晚辞掉你 |
[38:49] | I just want you to know,when that day comes,it’ll be harder for me. | 不过你要知道 即使要辞掉你 我也是于心不忍的 |
[38:56] | Yep. | 嗯 |
[39:39] | where is she now? | 她现在在哪? |
[39:44] | Carl’s with her. | Carl跟她在一起 |
[39:50] | I saw my future,alan,when I went to see him. | 我去探望他的时候 看到了自己的未来 |
[39:55] | I saw what lies ahead for me. | 看到了今后要发生的事 |
[39:59] | That’s not what lies ahead for you. | 那不是你的未来 |
[40:01] | Like the doctor said,you smoke,you drink,you play with loaded firearms. | 就像医生说的 你烟酒不离手 还喜欢玩上膛的枪 |
[40:06] | You’ll go before the mad cow can get you. | 等不到疯牛病 你就玩完了 |
[40:12] | I was in the courtroom today. | 今天我去了法庭 |
[40:13] | I heard your closing. | 听到了你的结案陈词 |
[40:24] | When the day comes… | 当那一天来临的时候 |
[40:27] | if it comes… | 如果终将来临… |
[40:31] | we should go to oregon,where it’s legal. | 我们就应该去俄勒冈州 那里是合法的 |
[40:37] | they got some great steelhead runsns we could fish the mighty rogue. | 俄勒冈州盛产虹鳟 我们可以在落鸠河钓鱼 |
[40:45] | It’s only fitting. | 太适合了 |
[40:47] | I mean,I am the mighty rogue when you think about it. | 其实想来 我就如同落鸠河 |
[40:52] | yes,you are. | 是啊 没错 |
[40:55] | What a way to check out– a scotch in one hand,a steelhead in the other. | 一手威士忌 一手虹鳟鱼 那样死的多潇洒 |
[40:59] | And in your hands… | 而你手中… |
[41:03] | would be me. | 抱着我 |
[41:06] | If I could make that deal with god,I’d do so right now. | 如果我现在能跟上帝做此交易 我一定马上去办 |
[41:09] | That’s only because if until you were finally able to catch you could delay death a steelhead,you’d out live us all. | 这是因为如果你钓上虹鳟鱼之后才死 那你肯定比我们活的都长 |
[41:16] | I’m sorry…but you’re a lousy fisherman. | 不好意思…你钓鱼水平太差了 |
[41:19] | It needed to be said. | 我不得不说 |
[41:20] | I know what you’re doing. | 我知道你的目的 |
[41:21] | You’re trying to change the subject. | 你想转移话题 |
[41:23] | Nny,if you were in that courtroom,you saw how difficult itme to think of you dying. | Danny 你去了法庭就该明白 想到你的死对我来说有多困难 |
[41:27] | I’d just like to enjoy my scotch and not have to think of it now. | 我现在不想去想它 只想喝杯威士忌 |
[41:32] | So just… | 所以你就… |
[41:34] | sit there with your cigar,if you don’t mind,and blow smoke. | 拿着烟坐在这 吹个烟圈 |
[41:37] | It’s what you’re best at. | 这是你最擅长的 |
[41:39] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[41:43] | fine. | 好吧 |
[41:44] | You don’t have to be so huffy about it. | 你别冲我发火 |
[41:48] | I had a day. | 今天过得不容易 |
[41:55] | sleepover? | 一起睡? |
[41:59] | Fine. | 好吧 |