时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:09] | sir, could you step out of the stall, please? | 先生 请出来好吗? |
[01:15] | Sir, can I see some identification, please? | 能看下您的证件吗? |
[01:17] | It’s a courthouse. Denny crane. | 这里是法院 我是Denny Crane |
[01:18] | I don’t need to identify myself in a courthouse. | 在这里谁不认识我啊 |
[01:21] | Please place your hands behind your back, sir. | 请把手放到身后 先生 |
[01:23] | Why? | 为什么? |
[01:23] | Sir, you are under arrest for solicitation. | 先生 您因犯召妓罪而被捕 |
[01:25] | What? | 什么? |
[01:26] | – You have the right to remain silent. – Solicit– | – 您有权保持沉默 – 召妓… |
[01:27] | – anything you say can and will be used agast you…In a court of law. – who the hell did I solicit? | – 您所说的一切都将成为呈堂证供 – 我到底召谁了? |
[01:30] | You have the right to an attorney. | 您有权请律师 |
[01:32] | Sir, please put your hands behind your back now. | 先生 请立刻把你的手放到身后 |
[01:34] | – Alan – All right.That’s it. | – 好吧 到此为止 – Alan. |
[01:35] | – Get him down on the floor. – Hey, w–ow! | – 把他按到地上 – 嘿 哇噢! |
[01:39] | Alan! | Alan! |
[01:40] | Alan! Pick up, will you? | Alan! 接下电话好吗? |
[01:42] | Alan! Pick up. | Alan! 接电话 |
[01:46] | Alan! Alan! | Alan! Alan! |
[02:21] | He did all the known signals for solicitation. | 他发出了所有我们熟知的召妓暗示 |
[02:24] | In fact, he was quite methodical about it. | 事实上 他还很驾轻就熟 |
[02:26] | – Denny – He’s full of crap. – Denny. | – 他满口喷粪 |
[02:27] | Well, so was I, but I was constipated. | 好吧 我也一样 不过我是便秘 |
[02:29] | What known signals? | 哪些熟知的暗示? |
[02:31] | Well, first he came in, looked under the stall doors. | 首先 他进来后 从隔间的门下扫视了一遍 |
[02:33] | Then he entered a stall next to an occupied one. | 然后 他走进有人的隔间旁边那间 |
[02:36] | He slid his briefcase to the front, | 他把公文包放到了门前 |
[02:38] | making his feet visible to the adjacent occupant. | 使旁边隔间的人可以看到他的脚 |
[02:40] | Oh, please.I– | 哦 拜托 我… |
[02:41] | he then moved his foot over. | 随后他把脚伸到了隔壁 |
[02:43] | Then he began to hum quietly. | 并开始小声的哼哼 |
[02:45] | Then he tapped his foot four times, up and dowN. | 然后 他用脚在地板上 上下轻拍4次 |
[02:48] | – Denny – Look, now first, we- – denny. | – 听着 第一 我们… |
[02:50] | Sir, look, there’s really no point denying this. | 先生 真的没什么理由能否认这些 |
[02:52] | Unless you consider innocence a point. | 除非你把无辜当成一个理由 |
[02:54] | Would that be a point worth considering? | 这个理由值得考虑吗? |
[02:57] | These are well-known solicitation signals. | 这些都是众所周知的召妓暗示 |
[03:00] | you didn’t even go to the bathroom, by the way, did you? | 顺便问下 你甚至都没用厕所 对吗? |
[03:02] | Because I was constipated. | 因为我是便秘 |
[03:03] | Did we not go over this? | 这个问题还没讨论完吗? |
[03:05] | My suggestion is that u make this go away quietly. | 我的建议是私下解决 |
[03:08] | Bribe. I knew it. | 贿赂 我就知道 |
[03:10] | I’m not suggesting a bribe. | 我不是建议你行贿 |
[03:12] | My recommendation’s that you plead guilty to disorderly conduct. | 我建议你认罪 承认自己行为不检 |
[03:15] | he’s not gonna plead guilty to anything. | 他不会承认任何罪名的 |
[03:17] | You really want these charges to be made public? | 你真的希望看到这些指控被公开? |
[03:19] | This sounds an awful lot like extortion, officer whistler. | 这听上去可不太好 有点像恐吓 Whistler警官 |
[03:22] | It’s not extortion. | 这不是恐吓 |
[03:23] | I’m just saying, your choice– | 我只是说说而已 你们来决定… |
[03:25] | disorderly conduct and a small fine or public trial for solicitation to have gay sex. | 承认行为不检 罚点款 或 被控召妓以 发生同性性行为而受公开审判 |
[03:31] | Trial. | 庭审 |
[03:32] | – Wait.Wait, wait, wait, wait. – DennY.Trial. | – 慢着 慢着 慢着 – Denny 庭审 |
[03:42] | why are you angry at me? | 你为什么对我生气? |
[03:44] | Because I could’ve made this thing go away quietly. | 因为我本可以私下解决这件事的 |
[03:46] | You’re making it into a cause. | 你却把它变成了一起诉讼 |
[03:47] | I am not, denny. | 我没有 Denny |
[03:48] | You’re being larry craiged here, and it isn’t fair. | 你被当成了又一起厕所性丑闻 这不公平 |
[03:51] | But with a public trial? | 但是代价是公开庭审? |
[03:53] | It’s one thing for people to think I’ve got, uh, alzheimer’s or I’ve lost my mind. | 让人们认为我得了老年痴呆症 或发疯了是一回事 |
[03:56] | But for them to think I’m gay? | 但是让他们认为我是同性恋? |
[03:58] | Denny, for god sake, you cannot plead guilty. | Denny 看在上帝的份上 你不能认罪 |
[04:01] | It’s a ridiculous charge. | 这罪名太荒谬了 |
[04:02] | The police had no bus– | 警察不… |
[04:06] | what’s going on? | 出什么事了? |
[04:07] | Denny had a little misunderstanding this morning. | Denny今天早上被人误会了 |
[04:11] | In an effort to relieve some mild…constipation, | 在他努力排泄…便秘的时候 |
[04:16] | he unwittingly offered to be a whistle-blower for an undercover police officer. | 无意中向一位便衣警察发出了 要求同性性行为的暗示 |
[04:22] | It happens. | 误会难免 |
[04:23] | He’s being arraigned this afternoon. | 他今天下午接受传讯 |
[04:24] | I’m moving for an immediate dismissal. | 我会申请当庭驳回指控 |
[04:42] | The battleship– as I live and breathe. | 生命不息… 战斗不止 |
[04:46] | you get more and more beautiful. | 你真是越来越漂亮了 |
[04:50] | Who’s suing you now? | 谁在起诉你? |
[04:52] | I take it you haven’t heard. | 原来你还没听说 |
[04:56] | I got fired, shirl. | 我被解雇了 Shirl |
[04:58] | What? | 什么? |
[04:58] | As of now, you’re looking at an unemployed shock jock. | 你现在看到的是一个失业的电台DJ |
[05:02] | What did you say? | 你说了什么? |
[05:03] | Oh, nothing too bad, but as far as the station’s concerned– | 没什么大不了的 不过电台认为… |
[05:06] | what did you say? | 你说了什么? |
[05:08] | Well, something like old people should die. | 呃 “老人该死” 之类的 |
[05:11] | You said that on the air? | 你在播音的时候说了这个? |
[05:12] | Oh, come on. It’s the radio, for god sakes. | 那可是电台啊 看在上帝的份上 |
[05:14] | If you can’t be vulgar there. free speech. | 如果你不粗俗点的话…言论自由 |
[05:20] | Look, seriously, shirley, I’m–I’m not a young man. | 说真的 Shirley 我已经不是年轻人了 |
[05:25] | If I lose this gig, I may not get another one. | 如果我丢了这份工作 恐怕就找不到其它工作了 |
[05:29] | I need to fight this. | 这件事我要斗争到底 |
[05:32] | old people should die. | “老人该死” |
[05:35] | Free speech. Rah. | 言论自由 啦 |
[05:39] | rah. | 啦 |
[05:41] | Why would paul want to see us? | Paul找我们什么事? |
[05:42] | Obviously sack told him. | 显然是Sack告诉他了 |
[05:43] | Maybe paul’s gay. | 可能Paul是同性恋 |
[05:45] | God, why can’t I have that? | 上帝 为什么我不能拥有这个? |
[05:51] | Well, I see somebody has run to the principal’s office. | 我看到某人跑进了校长办公室 |
[05:55] | Hello, alan. | 你好 Alan |
[05:56] | Denny, how are you? | Denny 你好吗? |
[05:58] | Not gay. | 不是同性恋 |
[05:59] | Yes. | 是 |
[06:01] | Carl has shared with me the latest. | Carl把事情都告诉我了 |
[06:04] | I’m told there’s a chance of making this go away with a disorderly conduct plea. | 有人告诉我可以用行为不检来解决此事 |
[06:08] | That was rejected. | 已经拒绝了 |
[06:10] | May I ask why? | 我能问下为什么吗? |
[06:13] | He’s innocent, paul. | 他是无辜的 Paul |
[06:14] | Alan, you know and I know that the charges alone– | Alan 你我都知道这些指控… |
[06:18] | denny’s been charged with crimes before. | Denny 以前也受到过犯罪指控 |
[06:20] | This one leaves its own special tarnish. | 这次的指控会留下特殊影响 |
[06:23] | Even an outright acquittal won’t amount to exoneration. | 即便是完全无罪宣判 也不足以抵消负面影响 |
[06:26] | We need to dispose of this as quietly as possible. | 我们必须尽可能的低调处理此事 |
[06:28] | this is ridiculous. | 这太荒谬了 |
[06:30] | He’s being railroaded by some overzealous cop who’s staking out a bathom. | 他被一些在洗手间蹲点的 “热情过度”的警察给草率定罪 |
[06:34] | I don’t know if it’s more offensive or silly. | 我不知道这是否有点太无理或愚蠢了 |
[06:37] | Denny, may I speak with you in private? | Denny 我能单独和你谈下吗? |
[06:41] | Let’s go, al. Let’s give ’em some special time. | 我们走 Alan 给他们点私人空间 |
[06:43] | If you care to leave, carl, please do so. | 如果你想走的话 Carl 那就走吧 |
[06:46] | But, paul, anything you have to say to denny, you can say– | 但是 Paul 不管你想和Denny说什么 你都可以说… |
[06:48] | with all due respect to your friend’ip, denny and i go bk almost 40 years. | 无意冒犯你们的友谊 但Denny和我已经认识40年了 |
[06:54] | You really are old, paul. | 你果真老了 Paul |
[06:58] | Go ahead, alan. | 走吧 Alan |
[06:59] | Bond with carl for a second. | 和Carl一起 |
[07:01] | No sleepovers. | 不准过夜 |
[07:12] | carl sack has the job of worrying about the firm. | Carl Sack 的工作就是为事务所担心 |
[07:15] | I was happy to pass that baton. | 我很乐意把这工作交给他 |
[07:20] | I’m concerned about you. | 我关心的是你 |
[07:23] | Look, I see alan all poised here to climb on his soap box. | 瞧 我看到的是Alan在镇静自如的向上爬 |
[07:28] | But at whose expense? | 不过谁来为此买单? |
[07:30] | If I plead to disorderly, the papers will make straw out of that as well. | 如果我接受行为不检 报纸也一样会大肆炒作 |
[07:34] | Denny, your grip on your position here as senior partner– | Denny 你是这里的资深合伙人… |
[07:39] | I know you know– is a little tenuous. | 我知道你会认为…这不算什么 |
[07:42] | This may be all the managing partners need to finally take your name off the door. | 但执行合伙人因此就可能把你扫地出门 |
[07:47] | Which is why I need to be vindicated. | 这正是我要为自己辩护的原因 |
[07:50] | And should you lose? | 那万一你输了呢? |
[07:52] | Paul… | Paul… |
[07:55] | right or wrong, I-I need to go out as… | 无论如何 我都得在人们心中留下 一个光辉的形象… |
[08:00] | Denny Crane | denny crane. |
[08:04] | I don’t want my legacy to… | 我不想让自己留下… |
[08:11] | it’s worth risking my job… | 这值得压上我的工作… |
[08:15] | to save my reputation. | 来拯救我的名誉 |
[08:18] | I’m afraid you may lose both. | 我就怕你陪了夫人又折兵 |
[08:21] | Not if we win. | 只要胜诉不就行了 |
[08:25] | All or nothing… | 完胜或者完败… |
[08:28] | you and I used to say that all the time. | 我们过去经常这么说 |
[08:32] | Remember? | 记得吗? |
[08:41] | Uh, why a judge and not a jury? | 呃 为什么没有陪审团? |
[08:43] | Juries can’t give equitable relief, plus, | 陪审团不适合该案 而且 |
[08:45] | they don’t especially enjoy being summoned for something trivial like first amendment. | 他们对牵涉到像第一修正案 这样的小诉讼 并不十分感兴趣 |
[08:49] | Well, well, well. | 哇 哇 哇 |
[08:54] | – Bethany – Shirley – Bethany. – Shirley. | |
[08:58] | You’ve let yourself go. | 你怎么这么不注意保养 |
[09:00] | I find that refreshing. | 这真是很令人振奋 |
[09:02] | It’s so nice to see an elderly person who’s not afraid to look her age. | 很高兴能见到一个不在乎自己 苍老容颜的老人 |
[09:06] | Yes, well, vanity can be quite the beast, I suppose. | 是啊 我想虚荣心可以让人丧失理智 |
[09:09] | I see you’re wearing heels. | 我注意到你穿了高跟鞋 |
[09:11] | Dwarf jokes. Classy. | Dwarf Jokes 高级货 |
[09:13] | all rise. | 起立 |
[09:17] | in re: Binder vs.W.W.E.N. Boston, judge victoria thomson presiding. | 案件: Binder 诉 波士顿W.W.E.N.公司 主审法官 Victoria Thomson |
[09:22] | This court is in session. | 现在开庭 |
[09:23] | Good morning, your honor. | 早安 法官阁下 |
[09:24] | Shirley schmidt for the plaintiff. | 我是Shirley Schmidt 原告律师 |
[09:26] | I’m not interested. | 我不想听这个 |
[09:27] | Who’s the station manager? | 谁是电台经理? |
[09:28] | Uh, I am, your honor. | 呃 我是 法官阁下 |
[09:30] | And my name is bethany horowitz. | 我的名字是Bethany Horowitz |
[09:32] | I represent W.W.E.N.And why are you staring? | 我代表W.W.E.N. 请问你为什么盯着我看? |
[09:37] | ‘Cause I almost bought that same outfit. | 因为我差点也买了你那套衣服 |
[09:39] | Sit your itty-bitty self down. | 让你的小身体坐下吧 |
[09:41] | Mr. Flanders, in the witness chair, now. | Flanders先生 请上证人席 |
[09:44] | – Move it. – Wait a second. | – 动起来 – 等一下 |
[09:45] | They’re the ones suing. | 他们才是原告 |
[09:46] | I know that. | 我知道 |
[09:48] | I want to hear from him. Now. | 我想听他的陈述 现在 |
[09:57] | Denny crane in a men’s room. | 在男士洗手间内的Denny Crane |
[09:59] | Don’t you just love that? | 你一定喜欢这条吧? |
[10:01] | Another “family values” advocate looking to use | 另一个一边鼓吹”家庭价值观” |
[10:04] | another man’s private part as a sippy cup. | 一边寻找其他男士的私处来慰籍自己的人 |
[10:09] | Time to go to church now, denny, time to get in touch with god. | 是时候去下教堂了 Denny 找上帝好好谈谈 |
[10:12] | Off to rehab we go. | 出发去康复中心吧 |
[10:13] | Doesn’t it just make you want to snorkel in your mother’s vomit? | 还有比这个更令人作呕的事吗? |
[10:18] | I can’t take it. | 我受不了了 |
[10:20] | The press is into it. | 媒体真是没完没了 |
[10:21] | I’m gay fodder. | 居然说我是同性恋 |
[10:21] | I can’t take it. | 我受不了了 |
[10:23] | Come on, denny. Let’s just get to court. | 走吧 Denny 该上庭了 |
[10:24] | That woman of all people knows I am straight. | 那个女人知道我是直男 |
[10:27] | She told me it was the best sex she ever had since her brother in ninth grade. | 她还告诉我 那是她弟弟9年级后 她最满意的一次性生活 |
[10:30] | She told me. | 她亲口说的 |
[10:31] | you go for immediate dismissal. | 你要争取当庭驳回指控 |
[10:33] | None of this continuance crap. | 不要拖延了 |
[10:35] | immediate. | 当庭 |
[10:39] | Lorraine | Lorraine. |
[10:40] | Alan Denny Alan. Denny. | |
[10:42] | Would you be riding on the elevator with us? | 你要和我们一起坐电梯吗? |
[10:45] | Think you can handle it, denny? | 觉得你能行吗 Denny? |
[10:48] | well, maybe not. | 呃 或许不行 |
[10:50] | I-I don’t know whether you’ve heard about my, um, predicament. | 我不清楚你是否听说了我的遭遇 |
[10:54] | I heard that you were humming in the men’s room. | 我听说你在男士洗手间里哼哼 |
[10:56] | That predicament? | 是这事吗? |
[10:57] | Yeah, yeah. | 没错 没错 |
[10:58] | Rumors are ugly things, lorraine. | 谣言真是太丑陋了 Lorraine |
[11:01] | I’ll bet there’s some about you. | 我打赌你也有些关于你的谣言 |
[11:03] | I wouldn’t know. | 我可不知道 |
[11:04] | Neither would I. | 我也不知道 |
[11:07] | there are security cameras on these elevators. | 这些电梯里都有监视摄像头 |
[11:11] | If I were to havsex on one with a-a woman, | 如果我能和一个女人在里面发生性关系 |
[11:15] | that would dispel the horrible rumor that I, um, uh, you know, uh– | 那就可以使我的谣言不攻自破了 呃 你知道的 就是… |
[11:21] | like to hum in men’s rooms? | 例如在男士洗手间里哼哼? |
[11:23] | Would you mind? | 你介意吗? |
[11:24] | Not at all, denny. | 当然不 Denny |
[11:25] | But I am involved, so I can’T. | 不过我已经有男朋友了 所以我不能答应 |
[11:27] | Please. It’s an emergency. | 求你了 情况紧急 |
[11:28] | Then perhaps you should call 9-9-9. | 那或许你该打 9-9-9 |
[11:34] | what’s his name? | 他的名字是什么? |
[11:35] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[11:36] | Uh, the boyfriend– what’s his name? | 男朋友…他的名字是? |
[11:42] | Were we meant to get on that? | 我们不是打算乘那班电梯的吗? |
[11:54] | hey, lorraine. | 嗨 Lorraine |
[11:55] | Katie | Katie. |
[11:58] | How are you liking working here so far, aside from the misogynistic bits and pieces? | 你对工作还满意吗? 除了那些闲言碎语外 |
[12:02] | Oh, it’s fine. | 哦 那没什么 |
[12:04] | Personally, I enjoy being objectified. | 个人而言 我比较喜欢保持客观 |
[12:06] | It’s a wonderful prophylactic if one doesn’t care to be really known. | 这是上好的预防剂 如果你不介意被人完全了解的话 |
[12:09] | I suppose. | 应该是吧 |
[12:11] | Um, somehow I feel I know you. | 我总觉得好象见过你 |
[12:13] | Have we met before crane, poole & schmidt? | 在进入事务所前 我们有见过吗? |
[12:16] | I don’t believe we have. | 我想没有吧 |
[12:17] | Odd. | 奇怪 |
[12:19] | Have you ever spent time in gland? | 你在英国待过吗? |
[12:20] | I haven’t actually, though I’ve always wanted to go. | 虽然我一直想去英国 但是事实上我还没去过 |
[12:24] | I just thought perhaps… | 我只是在想或许… |
[12:26] | when denny said earlier he had an emergency, you said “call 9-9-9”? | Denny前面说他有紧急情况时 你说”打9-9-9″是吗? |
[12:30] | It’s 9-1-1, actually. | 实际上 应该是 9-1-1 |
[12:32] | Of course it is. | 当时是 |
[12:33] | I said “9-9-9”? | 我说了”9-9-9″? |
[12:34] | Yes, which, coincidentally is the number one calls for an emergency in england. | 是的 这碰巧正是英国的报警电话 |
[12:41] | – I guess that is a coincidence. – Yes. | – 我想这的确是个巧合 – 是的 |
[12:47] | Bye, katie. | 再见 Katie |
[12:48] | Hope the rest of your day goes well. | 祝你工作顺利 |
[12:50] | You, too. | 你也是 |
[13:01] | Look, it’s all about sales. | 瞧 销售收入才是关键 |
[13:03] | Here we’re faced with advertiser pullout, a boycott by listeners. | 干我们这行要面对广告商的退出 听众的联合抵制 |
[13:07] | But he’s a shock jock. This is what he does. | 而他作为一个电台DJ 这就是他的工作 |
[13:08] | Yes, and if he makes money for us, fine. | 是的 如果他能为我们赚钱 那一切都好说 |
[13:11] | If he doesn’T… he goes. | 如果他赚不到钱…那就只能走人 |
[13:13] | It’s nothing personal here. | 这并不是针对他个人的 |
[13:15] | He’s been saying outrageous things for 25 years. | 他已经说了25年的粗话 |
[13:18] | Yes, and a lot of people have been listening to him for 25 years. | 没错 很大一部分听众也听了他25年 |
[13:21] | So what’s changed? | 那么是什么情况改变了? |
[13:22] | Those listeners are old now. | 如今那些听众都已经老了 |
[13:24] | I-if he wants to put down blacks or–or jews or episcopalians, fine. | 如果他想羞辱黑人 犹太人 圣公会教徒 随便 |
[13:29] | But our demographic is baby boomers. | 但我们的听众主要是婴儿潮出生的人 |
[13:31] | Insulting old people– it affects our bottom line. | 侮辱老年人– 影响到了我们的底线 |
[13:34] | It’s a no-can-do. | 绝对不可以那么做 |
[13:36] | So you admit that what he said was in the context of social commentary. | 那你承认他的话是社会评论 |
[13:43] | So what? | 那又怎样? |
[13:44] | So what? | 那又怎样? |
[13:44] | You’re primarily a news station. | 你们主要是新闻台 |
[13:46] | No, ‘re primarily a profit center, like every other news station. | 不 我们主要是个营利机构 和其他的新闻台一样 |
[13:51] | You had ann coulter on the show last week as a guest. | 上周 你们请极端保守派的 Ann Coulter 客串 |
[13:55] | John Edwards This is a woman who referred to john edwards using the homosexual “f” word. | 她用f开头表示同性恋的词来称呼 |
[14:00] | no one takes ann coulter seriously. | 没人会把Ann Coulter的话当真 |
[14:02] | I mean, she’s a joke. | 她是个笑料 |
[14:03] | Since bob is actually respected for his political commentary, | 但既然别人因Bob的政治评论而尊敬他 |
[14:08] | his remarks are more dangerous. | 他的话要有杀伤力的多 |
[14:10] | You don’t see a problem firing a political commentator for making a political comment? | 你看不出来因政治评论 而炒掉一个政治评论家错在哪里? |
[14:15] | Not really. | 看不出来 |
[14:20] | “Case number 6-6-2-6-6.The commonwealth vs. Denny crane.” | 案件号66266 麻省起诉Denny Crane |
[14:25] | Alan shore appearing for mr. Crane. | Alan Shore为Crane先生辩护 |
[14:27] | I would ask that this arraignment be quashed immediately. | 我想要求立即取消这场提审 |
[14:30] | You cannot quash an arraignment. | 你没资格取消提审 |
[14:32] | But you can, your honor, and you should here. | 但是您可以 法官大人 而且您应该这么做 |
[14:34] | Because if you look at the facts, you’ll see that even as alleged, | 因为如果您注意下事实 就会发现即使按公诉人所说的 |
[14:37] | they don’t support the charges being filed. | 这些证据也不支持提起诉讼 |
[14:39] | No money ever changed hands– | 没有现金交易– |
[14:40] | you don’t have to go that far. It’s an choate crime.He– | 不用说那么多 这是未完成罪 他– |
[14:42] | suppose he just hit on another man he found attractive? | 假设他挑逗一个吸引他的男人 |
[14:45] | – Oh, my god. – Are you saying it’s a crime for one man to propose sex to another? | – 噢 老天 – 你觉得向别人提出性要求是犯罪? |
[14:48] | In some states, it probably is. | 在某些州 可能是 |
[14:50] | But this is massachusetts, the home of mitt romney, a man who was once okay with gay unions. | 但这是马塞诸塞 Mitt Romney的老家 他曾经默许同性恋团体的存在 |
[14:56] | Though he’s not okay with them now. | 尽管他现在不了 |
[14:58] | Let’s all be clear on that. | 让我澄清这一点 |
[15:02] | I’ll not have you attacking my governor. | 我不允许你攻击州长 |
[15:04] | Judge, you shouldn’t even be on this case. | 法官 这个案子不该由您来审 |
[15:06] | If you’ll remember, I once defended you on a subject very near and dear to this one. | 您应该还记得 我曾为您辩护过 一个非常类似的案件 |
[15:11] | I can be impartial. | 我能做到公正无私 |
[15:12] | And I shall be. | 而且我会的 |
[15:14] | And you cannot quash an arraignment. | 庭审继续 |
[15:16] | If you want to try to kick it after charges are filed– | 如果你想要在诉讼被提起后 把它处理掉 |
[15:18] | a-and that’s mr. Crane’s choice? | Crane先生别无他选? |
[15:20] | To plead out or face public ridicule? | 悄悄认罪 要不然就是当众被羞辱? |
[15:22] | Have you noticed all e cameras, by the way? | 顺便问下 您注意到那些摄像机了吗? |
[15:24] | It’s extortion. This is a witch hunt. | 这是逼供 这是政治迫害 |
[15:25] | The D.A.’S office probably targeted mr. Crane | 检察院大概故意瞄准了Crane先生 |
[15:27] | because of all the bad blood between our– | 因为我们之间的恶劣关 |
[15:29] | this is the united states of america. | 这是美利坚合众国 |
[15:31] | Our system of justice does not dictate to district attorneys | 我们的司法体系 |
[15:34] | who should or should not be prosecuted. | 不会命令检察官去起诉谁 |
[15:40] | Your points may be good ones, but… | 你的意见不错 但是 |
[15:42] | they are to be decided by the trier of fact, which in this case is the jury. | 他们该由事实的审判者 这起案子中是陪审团来决定 |
[15:48] | This case shall go to trial. | 我们会开庭审理 |
[15:51] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[15:54] | Disorderly is still on the table. | 你们还可以认妨害治安罪 |
[16:00] | denny, maybe you should consider making a deal here. | Denny 或许你应该考虑下认罪 |
[16:03] | If you get convicted– | 你过你被定罪的话 |
[16:04] | No. | 不 |
[16:06] | We go to trial. | 我们上庭吧 |
[16:07] | Are you sure? Don’t do this because of me. | 你确定吗? 不要为了我而这么做 |
[16:09] | I’m doing it because of me. | 我这么做是为了我自己 |
[16:11] | We go to trial. | 我们上庭 |
[16:14] | But… you have to win it. | 但是 你必须得赢 |
[16:35] | ****** | 怎么个熟悉法? |
[16:36] | I just feel I’ve seen her before or– don’t you think it’s odd– | 我就觉得我以前见过她 要不然就是 你不觉得很奇怪 |
[16:39] | she says she’s never been to england, and she said “call 9-9-9”? | 她否认去过英国 却说”打999″? |
[16:42] | Could be a coincidence. | 可能是个巧合 |
[16:44] | I also detect an english accent. | 我还觉得她有英国口音 |
[16:45] | You do? Really? | 是吗? 真的? |
[16:46] | Well, sometimes. Barely noticeable. | 偶尔而已 很轻微 |
[16:49] | Why don’t we just google her? | 用谷歌搜一下她吧 |
[16:50] | I did. | 我搜过了 |
[16:51] | I didn’t find anything. | 没结果 |
[16:53] | I know this is horrible of me to say, | 我知道这么说不好 |
[16:55] | but for some reason, I just have this feeling… | 但冥冥之中我总觉得 |
[16:59] | she’s a criminal. | 她犯过罪 |
[17:01] | I thought you liked everybody? | 我还以为没有你不喜欢的人呢 |
[17:02] | Oh, I do, and I like her, I just… | 是没有 我喜欢她 只是 |
[17:04] | think she’s a criminal. | 觉得她犯过罪 |
[17:09] | A lot of people were hugely offended by what you said. | 你的话深深地冒犯了很多人 |
[17:12] | But what I said was political commentary. | 但那是政治评论 |
[17:14] | Moreover, it was important. | 而且 那很重要 |
[17:15] | Important? | 重要? |
[17:16] | Oh, this I gotta hear. | 我倒得听听 |
[17:18] | You sit your itty-bitty, little self down. | 小个子 坐下吧 |
[17:21] | I want that on the record. | 把那句纪录下来 |
[17:22] | How was the content important, bob? | 那内容为什么重要 Bob? |
[17:25] | Our government, at least on a national level, | 我们的政府 至少中央政府 |
[17:27] | is becoming little more than an income transfer mechanism | 越来越像个收入转移机构了 |
[17:31] | from younger workers to the old retirees. | 把青年工作者的钱转给老年退休人员 |
[17:33] | Social security, medicare and medicaid already take up over 40% of the federal budget. | 社会保险 医疗保险 医疗补助占的比例 超过了联邦预算的40% |
[17:39] | And in the next 25 years, | 预计在未来的25年中 |
[17:41] | the number of people over 65 is expected to double. | 65岁以上人口数量将翻番 |
[17:45] | Now does anybody get what that means? | 你们知道这意味着什么吗? |
[17:48] | We could be heading for a day | 在未来的某一天 |
[17:50] | when the bulk of our federal budget goes to subsidizing retirees. | 联邦预算的大头会被用来补贴退休者 |
[17:55] | None of the politicians will even talk about iT. Why? | 没有政客会谈论这个问题 原因? |
[17:59] | Because who’s primarily funding this next election? | 因为谁是这次大选的主要赞助人? |
[18:02] | Baby boomers. | 婴儿潮出生的人 |
[18:05] | So your solution is for old people to die. | 那你的解决方案是让老年人去死 |
[18:07] | I was making a point in a provocative way. | 我把话说得有点夸张了 |
[18:10] | An offensive, indecent, disgusting way. | 无礼 粗野 令人厌恶 |
[18:13] | I’m going to just wing it and say argumentative. | 我现场即兴一个 引导性问题 |
[18:15] | I didn’t interrupt your questions. | 我没打断你的询问 |
[18:17] | What is this? | 你什么意思? |
[18:18] | They’re called objections, bethany. | 这叫做”反对” Bethany |
[18:20] | They’re allowed now. | 现在允许这么做了 |
[18:21] | I ask the court to sanction this rude, bitchy-do person. | 我要求庭上制裁这个粗鲁 下贱的女人 |
[18:24] | Counsel, just ask your questions and try not to give in to your good nature. | 律师 问你的问题 不要屈服于你的好脾气 |
[18:29] | You are aware, sir, that baby boomers make up a big part of your listening audience? | 你知道你的听众有很大一部分 都是婴儿潮出生的人 先生? |
[18:33] | I am. | 是的 |
[18:34] | The irony is– | 讽刺的是 |
[18:35] | I’m not interested in iron | 我对讽刺不感兴趣 |
[18:37] | I find nothing ironic about calling for the genocide of an entire class of people. | 我不觉得要求铲除一整阶级的人 是件讽刺的事 |
[18:42] | You sure like to come on strong, don’t you? | 你真的喜欢玩硬的 是吧? |
[18:44] | Better to be a cannon then get shot out of one. | 当枪总比当靶子好 |
[18:49] | I saw that. | 我看见了 |
[18:50] | I want this entire transcript expedited so that | 我要求发布这份纪录 |
[18:53] | I can personally deliver it to the anti-defamation league, which at this moment, | 我要亲自送去反诽谤联盟 |
[18:57] | is probably listening to a recording of this man’s jihad against the elderly. | 他们可能正在听他讨伐老年人的录音呢 |
[19:02] | all right, I’ve heard enough of your little self. | 好了 我听够了你这个小个子的话了 |
[19:04] | How about you and I both refrain from commenting on the other’s size? | 你我都不谈论对方的体型怎么样? |
[19:12] | Bring it on, judgie-do. | 来吧 小法官 |
[19:14] | I’m not going anywhere. | 我就在这儿 |
[19:22] | What do you mean, there’s something up with her? | 你觉得她有问题是什么意思? |
[19:23] | You don’t think there’s anything suspicious about her? | 你不觉得她有疑点? |
[19:25] | Because she said “9-9-9”? | 因为她说了999? |
[19:27] | you’re right. | 你是对的 |
[19:28] | hey, clarence. | 嗨 Clarence |
[19:29] | I got a friend at the I.R.S. | 我有个朋友在国税局 |
[19:30] | I had him do a little search on her tax records– | 我托他查了查她的纳税纪录– |
[19:32] | dates back seven years and stops. | 追踪到7年之前 然后就没纪录了 |
[19:35] | She never filed before that. | 之前她没申报过 |
[19:36] | – Maybe she didndn’t work before then. – Ever? | – 或许之前她没工作过? – 从来都没有? |
[19:38] | and it gets better. | 还有更精彩的呢 |
[19:40] | You don’t say hey back? | 你不跟我打招呼? |
[19:41] | She graduated law school from the university of chicago in 1999. | 她1999年从芝加哥大学法学院毕业 |
[19:46] | In her resume, it says she attended georgetown before that. | 在她的简历上写着 之前她上过Georetown大学 |
[19:49] | Georgetown has no record of any lorraine weller. | Georetown大学 没有任何Lorraine Weller的纪录 |
[19:52] | I ran a social security record search. | 我搜了下社会保险纪录 |
[19:54] | No evidence of her prior to attending the university of chicago. | 在芝加哥大学上学前没有任何纪录 |
[19:58] | I never trusted her. | 我从来就不信任她 |
[20:01] | So then the question becomes, if she’s not lorraine weller… | 那问题变成了 如果她不是Lorraine Weller |
[20:04] | who is she? | 她是谁? |
[20:13] | Look, these are the signals. | 这些是标志 |
[20:15] | I didn’t make ’em up. | 不是我编的 |
[20:16] | He looked under the stall, moved his foot to the side, | 他从门底下往里看 脚在身体两侧 |
[20:18] | then his bag, tapped his foot and hummed. | 放下包 哼着歌 用脚合着节拍 |
[20:21] | Come on. | 真的 |
[20:22] | At that point, you moved in. | 就在这时 你行动了 |
[20:24] | We asked him to step out of the stall, and then we arrested him. | 我们要求他出隔间 然后我们逮捕了他 |
[20:27] | Why didn’t you wait for him to do something more definitive? | 为什么不等他做出些更明确的行动呢? |
[20:30] | What he’d already done was definitive. | 他的行为已经非常明确了 |
[20:32] | Okay, suppose somebody was just out looking for some action, not prostitution, but action. | 好 假设一个人想找点乐子 不是嫖娼 只是找乐子 |
[20:37] | They hear that there might be some in the bathroom and– | 他听说洗手间里有乐子– |
[20:38] | I mean, is that a crime now, to hit on somebody? | 现在挑逗别人也是犯罪了吗? |
[20:40] | These were known signals for prostitution. | 这些是已知的嫖娼标志 |
[20:43] | But you didn’t wait for money to change hands. | 但是你没等到金钱换手 |
[20:45] | We felt we had enough to go on. | 我们觉得证据足够多了 |
[20:46] | Oh, come on. | 算了吧 |
[20:47] | So if someone has a bag in his hand, | 所以如果一个人手里拎着个包 |
[20:49] | a tune in his head and needs to poop, he better watch out. | 脑子里有首小曲 想上大号 他就要小心了 |
[20:51] | Commit the wrong ambiguous gesture, and he’s looking at the slammer. | 用错了这些暧昧的姿势 就会被关进大牢 |
[20:54] | I guess they play a lot of footsie in there. | 我估计这里面有不少”脚”动作 |
[20:56] | – Objection. – Sustained. | – 反对 – 反对有效 |
[20:57] | Your honor, at this time I move for a directed finding of not guilty. | 法官大人 现在我要求直接宣判无罪 |
[21:00] | – The prosecution has failed to meet its burden of proof– – denied. | – 检察官没能完成举证责任 – 驳回 |
[21:04] | Okay, I move to remove you on the grounds of horrible judging. | 行 那我要求更换法官 理由是差劲的判决 |
[21:07] | Ere’s a pattern of it, actually. | 实际上 这也是有迹可循的 |
[21:08] | Denied. | 驳回 |
[21:09] | Judge, I’ve seen you go in that men’s room. | 法官大人 我见过您走进那间洗手间 |
[21:15] | What do you mean, you might lose? | 你可能会输是什么意思? |
[21:19] | Well, I should win. | 我应该赢 |
[21:20] | They’ve got no transaction, but… | 他们没有证据表明有现金交易 但是 |
[21:22] | but what? | 但是什么? |
[21:28] | I have to put denny on the stand. | 我必须让Denny上庭作证 |
[21:31] | Is there any way around that? | 非那样不可吗? |
[21:33] | I don’t think so. | 非那样不可 |
[21:35] | At this point, he’s gotta tell his story, and in doing so, he would then become… | 现在来看 他会讲出他的版本 然后 他会成为 |
[21:41] | our defense. | 我们的辩护 |
[21:43] | Dear god. | 老天爷啊 |
[21:58] | I had terrible, terrible gas. | 我有非常严重的胀气问题 |
[22:00] | I have it a lot. | 经常会 |
[22:01] | so what did you do? | 你怎么办的? |
[22:03] | Well, I went into the bathroom hoping to relieve it with a, um, a bowel movement. | 我去洗手间 希望借助肠子的运动将气体放出 |
[22:08] | – I have them a lot. – Denny, please. | – 我经常会有这种问题 – Denny 拜托 |
[22:11] | Upon entering the men’s room, I, um, farted. | 一进洗手间 我放了一个屁 |
[22:15] | – Denny – Uh, I do that– – denny. | – 我经常 |
[22:17] | So I entered, uh, a vacant stall and I preeded to, uh, do my business. | 所以我进了一个空隔间 然后继续 做那事 |
[22:22] | Only I-I was constipated, so I had difficulty. | 但是我便秘了 所以有困难 |
[22:26] | Did you engage in all these signals they’ve been talking about? | 他们说的那些标志动作 你都做了吗? |
[22:29] | Well, I-I-I slid my briefcase out of the way and moved my foot to the side | 我 我把公文包放到一边去 脚在身体两侧 |
[22:34] | ’cause I like to give myself a wide berth when I’m impacted. | 因为排出的时候我想保持安全距离 |
[22:37] | And I, uh, began to hum uh, ’cause it’s a– it’s a relaxing technique. | 然后 我 开始哼歌 因为那样可以放松 |
[22:43] | And I started tapping my foot to give my hum a beat. | 然后我开始踮地 给我的歌配上节奏 |
[22:52] | so you didn’t go into the bathroom looking for sex? | 那你不是进洗手间去买春? |
[22:55] | Oh, god, no. | 噢 天 不是 |
[22:56] | Oh, I’ve–I’ve had sex in bathroom stalls before, | 我以前在洗手间做过 |
[22:59] | and sometimes for money, but always, always with a woman. | 偶尔还给了钱 但是每次 每次都是跟女人 |
[23:03] | I’m a heterosexual. | 我是异性恋 |
[23:06] | And I think being gay is a sin. | 我觉得同性恋是罪过 |
[23:08] | It’s against god, it’s against the president and it’s bad for the troops. | 是对上帝的不敬 总统的不敬 而且对军队不好 |
[23:12] | How could the police officer have misinterpreted? | 警方如何会误解你的举动? |
[23:15] | ‘Cause he’s an idiot. | 因为他们白痴 |
[23:16] | And by the way, I have gay friends. | 而且 我也有朋友是同性恋 |
[23:18] | And they like to look at the merchandise just like anybody else. | 和其他人一样 他们也是有判断力的 |
[23:21] | They’re not gonna just have sex with whoev in the next stall, sight unseen. | 也不会面都没见着 就随便和厕所里的人发生关系 |
[23:27] | They may be sick, but they’re not stupid. | 或许他们有病 但并不傻 |
[23:32] | It’s just a total coincidence that | 这一切都是巧合? |
[23:35] | you engaged in all these known signals to have sex? | 你做了这么多为人熟知的买春举动 |
[23:38] | Well, not known to me. | 不为我熟知 |
[23:39] | You say you know. | 而你却知道 |
[23:40] | you gay? | 你是同性恋吗? |
[23:42] | I am, as a matter of fact. | 我是同性恋 |
[23:45] | D-does that make a difference? | 有问题吗? |
[23:48] | Well, a big one if I were looking to get laid. | 如果我也是同性恋 就有可能产生问题了 |
[23:50] | You would never sleep with a man? | 你绝不会和男人上床? |
[23:52] | Never. | 绝不 |
[23:52] | Never have a sleepover with a male friend? | 绝不会和男性朋友同床共枕? |
[23:56] | Well, that’s different. | 那可不同 |
[23:57] | In fact, you’ve had sleepovers with your lawyer–alan shore. | 你曾和你的律师Alan Shore同床共枕 |
[24:00] | – Isn’t that right? – Objection. | – 对吗? – 反对 |
[24:01] | We never had sex. | 我们没有做爱 |
[24:02] | You sleep in the same bed as… buddies? | 你俩睡一张床 但没有发生关系? |
[24:06] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[24:06] | And you two have special time every night together on your balcony, is that right? | 每天晚上 你俩都在阳台度过特别时光? |
[24:11] | So what’s wrong with that? | 那有什么问题吗? |
[24:12] | You refer to each other as… | 你俩互相称呼 |
[24:16] | flamingos. | 火烈鸟 |
[24:18] | – Did you tell him this? – I didn’T. | – 是你跟他说的吗? – 没有 |
[24:20] | What’s the point? This is irrelevant. | 有什么关系吗? 与案件无关 |
[24:22] | It’s called male bonding. | 这是男人间的情谊 |
[24:23] | You never heard of that? | 没听过吗? |
[24:24] | Oh, I know all about male bonding. | 男人间的情谊我都懂 |
[24:26] | Now let me see if I get this. | 我来总结一下 |
[24:29] | You’re a man who sleeps with other men. | 你和男人一起睡觉 |
[24:32] | You just so happen to signal another man to have sex with you in a bathroom, | 你碰巧在厕所对一个男人做了买春举动 |
[24:36] | but it’s all just a big coincidence. | 但这只是天大的巧合 |
[24:38] | You sometimes refer to yourself as a flamiO. | 有时候你自称为火烈鸟 |
[24:42] | But you’re not gay. | 但你不是同性恋 |
[24:43] | You’re damn right, I’m not. | 说得对 我不是同性恋 |
[24:47] | I think I get the picture. | 我描述的差不多吧 |
[24:50] | Nothing further. | 诘问完毕 |
[25:10] | good heavens, you frightened me. | 天哪 你吓着我了 |
[25:12] | Just now, or do I frighten you in general, katie? | 刚刚吓着 还是我一直吓着你? |
[25:15] | You’ve been quite a curious girl. | 你很有好奇心啊 |
[25:19] | What’s going on, katie? | 有什么问题吗 Katie? |
[25:20] | What’s going on is you’re not who you say you are. | 你的身份有问题 |
[25:23] | I know I’ve seen your face. | 我以前肯定见过你 |
[25:24] | I don’t know your real identity. | 我不清楚你的真正身份 |
[25:25] | But I know you’ve only been lorraine weller since 1997, | 但我知道在1997年以前 你不是Lorraine Weller |
[25:27] | when you entered the university of chicago law school. | 1997年你进入芝加哥大学法学院 |
[25:33] | So you know my secret. | 你知道我的秘密 |
[25:35] | No. I only know part of it. | 只知道一部分 |
[25:36] | – I used to be somebody else. – Who? | – 我以前有另一个身份 – 什么身份? |
[25:40] | I’m not gonna tell you that. | 不能告诉你 |
[25:41] | It could cost me my life. | 会搭上我的性命的 |
[25:46] | I married a man from pakistan 12 years ago. | 12年前我嫁给了一个巴基斯坦人 |
[25:49] | I was unfaithful to him, which he discovered. | 我对他不忠 被他发现 |
[25:51] | There have been several honor killings in muslim communities in london. | 伦敦穆斯林社区发生了数次类似的谋杀案 |
[25:55] | I am from london. | 我从伦敦来的 |
[25:57] | My co-adulterer was killed in an automobile accident. | 奸夫死于车祸 |
[26:00] | I believed the next accident was going to happen to me, | 我怕遭到同样下场 |
[26:02] | so I fled london, changed my name, began a new life here. | 于是我逃离伦敦 改名换姓 在这里开始新的生活 |
[26:06] | I’m told by my friends my husband’s still looking for me. | 我朋友告诉我 我丈夫还在找我 |
[26:10] | Does alan shore know this? | Alan Shore知道吗? |
[26:11] | No, and I would beg you not to tell him. | 不知道 请不要告诉他 |
[26:17] | It’s a business, judge. | 这是生意 法官大人 |
[26:19] | Talk shows, news shows– | 脱口秀 新闻节目 |
[26:21] | they’re all in it for the same thing–money. | 都是为了同一个目的 钱 |
[26:24] | If he wants to insult people, fine. | 他想侮辱别人 没问题 |
[26:26] | But it better be good for sales. | 只要有利于收视率就行 |
[26:28] | Howard stern is funny. | Howard Stern很搞笑 |
[26:29] | People like him. He could say what he wants. | 观众喜欢他 他怎么说都可以 |
[26:31] | Don imus–not so funny. | Don Imus不太搞笑 |
[26:34] | And nappy hair was bad for the bottom line. | 他的一头乱发也超过了容忍底线 |
[26:36] | It’s the same thing here. | 此案也是一样 |
[26:38] | W.W.E.N.Was faced with advertiser pullout because of what bob binder said. | Bob Binder的言论令W.W.E.N.损失惨重 |
[26:43] | And by the way, what’s wrong with cleaning up the airwaves a little? | 而且 净化电台空间有错吗? |
[26:47] | I’m sick of these so-called journalists cloaking their hate mongering | 所谓的新闻工作者 扯着大旗叫嚣言论自由 |
[26:51] | and bigotry in the american flag and calling it free speech. | 实际却是在传播仇恨和偏见 令人作呕 |
[26:54] | Why can’t a radio station fire an employee for spewing out despicably immoral crap? | 电台解雇乱放不道德臭屁的员工不对吗? |
[27:00] | Maybe that’s what americans are really calling for here. | 或许这才是国人想要的结果 |
[27:03] | About time. | 是时候了 |
[27:06] | Was what my client said really so bad? | 我的当事人说的话真是如此不堪? |
[27:10] | It’s interesting– she mentions howard stern. | 有意思的是 她提到了Howard Stern |
[27:14] | My client was asked by his station to be more like howard. | 我当事人被电台要求 多向Howard靠拢 |
[27:17] | Howard stern asked on the air, “so if you’re half arab and half jewish, | Howard Stern在节目中问 如果你有一半阿拉伯血统 一半犹太血统 |
[27:22] | “do you negotiate with the sheep before having sexual relations with them?” | 是否会在和羊发生关系前与他们谈判? |
[27:26] | She also mentions don imus. | 她也提到Don Imus |
[27:28] | Viacom seems to have no problem with imus referring to arabs as “ragheads.” | 维亚康姆对于Imus蔑称阿拉伯人没有意见 |
[27:32] | In 2004, he referred to simon & schuster, the book publishers, as jews who steal. | 2004年 他对西蒙舒斯特出版公司说 犹太人好偷东西 |
[27:39] | Then he apologized for the remark as being “redundant.” | 后来他为此道歉称自己多嘴了 |
[27:44] | Uh, glenn beck– he’s on cnn– | Glenn Beck 受雇于有线电视新闻网 |
[27:47] | “the most trusted name in news.” | 所谓 最值得信任的新闻机构 |
[27:48] | He’s referred to the katrina survivors as… | 他把卡特里娜台风的幸存者称为 |
[27:52] | a vulgarity I’m not allowed to repeat here. | 脏话我在此不便重复 |
[27:54] | He also said he didn’t think it possible to hate any victims faster than the 9/11 victims. | 他还说 911事件的受难者是最可恨的 |
[28:01] | These so-called journalists are everywhere. | 这些所谓的新闻工作者无处不在 |
[28:03] | And frankly, I wouldn’t mind seeing most of them gone. | 坦白说 我不介意他们消失 |
[28:06] | But it’s one thing to curtail racist or hateful remarks. | 删减种族主义和仇恨言论是一回事 |
[28:10] | It’s quite another to censor political content. | 对政治内容进行审查完全是另一回事 |
[28:15] | What bob binder said may have been offensive, | Bob Binder的言论可能是令人生厌 |
[28:18] | but it was also legitimate public debate. | 但这是合法的公共辩论 |
[28:22] | Ironically one the public and the presidential candidates refuse to engage in. | 讽刺的是 这也是公众和总统候选人 不愿参与的辩论 |
[28:27] | If the older demographic has more economic power | 如果高龄人群拥有更强的经济实力 |
[28:32] | to affect the outcome of the presidential elections, | 对总统的产生有更大的影响 |
[28:35] | and the government is spending most of its money on the older demographic… | 而政府又把大部分的财政 花在高龄人群身上 |
[28:41] | gee, shouldn’t somebody be discussing this? | 难道不应该有人议论此事吗? |
[28:45] | A press– a free press– | 新闻媒体 自由的新闻媒体 |
[28:48] | has always been vital to a democracy. | 向来对民主都至关重要 |
[28:51] | Not just when they serve the bottom line, | 不光是在媒体不出格时如此 |
[28:54] | but perhaps especially when it doesn’T. | 或许在媒体出格时 更为重要 |
[28:59] | Your honor, reporters actually lost their jobs for criticizing the war. | 大人 很多记者因批评伊战而丢掉工作 |
[29:06] | 35% of today’s journalists say newsworthy stories are sometimes shunned | 35%的记者说 值得报道的新闻 |
[29:11] | if they’ll hurt the financial interests of their news organizations. | 有时因为会影响经济利益而被删除 |
[29:17] | In america? | 这是在美国? |
[29:18] | Our free press? | 自由新闻媒体? |
[29:22] | This man got fired from a news talk show | 原告因为在新闻脱口秀中的政治言论 |
[29:27] | for expressing a political idea. | 被雇主解雇 |
[29:32] | Are we really okay with that? | 我们能容忍吗? |
[29:37] | Really? | 可以吗? |
[30:00] | Look, we have a lot of this illicit, illegal and yes, | 这种非法的 不道德的行为屡见不鲜 |
[30:06] | immoral activity going on not behind closed doors but in public areas. | 不是在私人地方 却是发生在公共场所 |
[30:11] | Kids go in these bathrooms sometimes. | 这种事情有时甚至会牵涉未成年人 |
[30:13] | Are we gonna look the other way just because he is denny crane? | 能因为他是Denny Crane就特殊照顾吗? |
[30:18] | I mean, come on. | 拜托 |
[30:19] | He went in, looked under the stall, | 他走进厕所 低头看看隔间下方 |
[30:22] | saw somebody, entered the adjacent stall, | 看见有人 然后走进旁边隔间 |
[30:25] | pushed his briefcase forward, slid his foot over, | 把公文包放在前面 把脚岔开 |
[30:28] | tapped his foot then the humming. | 边踮脚 边哼哼 |
[30:31] | By coincidence? | 这都是巧合? |
[30:35] | This is shameful, even more so | 这很可耻 |
[30:38] | if we excuse it just because he is a high-profile lawyer who thinks that he should be above the law. | 如果因为他是著名律师而凌驾法律 那就更加可耻了 |
[30:57] | Alan | Alan… |
[30:58] | don’t save the world, just get me off. | 不用说大道理 帮我脱罪就成 |
[31:00] | Can you do that, please? | 好吗? |
[31:01] | Denny, when you hold my hand, it’s just as thrilling as the very first time, | Denny 你握住我的手 和第一次握时同样令人感动 |
[31:06] | but the jury could get the wrong idea. | 但陪审团可能会错误理解 |
[31:15] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[31:16] | I never heard much gay prostitution going on in men’s rooms. | 厕所中的同性恋卖淫行为 我听到得并不多 |
[31:21] | I mean, uh, maybe in a park or a club or– uh, but in a courthouse? | 在公园或者俱乐部可能听过 但没听说在法院的 |
[31:29] | There’s certainly a lot more of the heterosexual kind going on elsewhere, | 异性卖淫行为在别的场所多得是 |
[31:33] | most of which we turn a blind eye to. | 大部分情形 都是睁一眼闭一眼 |
[31:35] | There’s even talk of legalizing it in vegas. | 拉斯维加斯甚至在讨论合法化问题 |
[31:37] | So is there something especially offensive about gay prostitution? | 是不是同性恋卖淫更加令人厌恶呢? |
[31:42] | We know washington certainly feels that way. | 联邦政府是这样认为的 |
[31:45] | All those family values senators had nothing to say about david vitter, | 重视家庭观念的参议员们 对于David Vitter无话可说 |
[31:49] | the louisiana senator who was, uh, caught in a prostitution ring. | 他是路易斯安那州参议员 被控召妓 |
[31:53] | I guess because he had the decency to visit only female hookers. | 可能是因为他只光顾女性娼妓 |
[31:56] | So, uh, let me see. | 我来看一下 |
[32:00] | All right, we’ve got, uh, | 好的 |
[32:03] | 29 current or recent members of congress a-accused of spousal abuse. | 29名现任或前任议员被控虐待妻子 |
[32:08] | 27 have been arrested for driving under the influence. | 27人因酒后驾车被逮捕 |
[32:11] | 19 current or recent members accused of writing bad checks. | 19人被控签发空头支票 |
[32:14] | 14 have drug related arrests. | 14人因涉毒被捕 |
[32:16] | Eight busted for splifting, seven for fraud, four for theft, three for assault, | 8人因顺手牵羊 7人因诈骗 4人因盗窃 3人因袭击他人被捕 |
[32:20] | but larry craig’s the one they simply must broom for tapping his foot in a men’s room. | 参议员Larry Craig 因在厕所拍人肩膀而被指控 |
[32:24] | And why are we paying the police to tap back? | 为何要派警察设陷阱? |
[32:28] | With all this terror business and these security crises going on in airports, | 机场这么多恐怖分子和安检问题 |
[32:32] | why are the police across the country manning bathroom stalls to play footsie? | 警方却有空大老远去厕所蹲点玩跺脚? |
[32:37] | Mr. Shore, I shall ask you to confine yourself to this case. | Shore先生 请专注于本案 |
[32:40] | I’m talking about this case. | 我说的正是本案 |
[32:42] | Homophobia has run amok, judge. | 对同性恋的厌恶已经失控 法官大人 |
[32:45] | It’s the reason we’re all gathered here, and it’s preposterous. | 这正是本案的起因 简直荒谬 |
[32:48] | We’re actually sitting in a courtroom wasting tax dollars because my client had gas. | 我们在法庭浪费纳税人的钱 仅仅因为我的当事人放了屁 |
[32:52] | He was constipated. | 因为他便秘 |
[32:54] | He went to remedy his problem in a bathroom–imagine that– | 他去厕所解决问题 想象一下 |
[32:56] | where, lo and behold, three undercover police officers were lurking, | 此时 3个警察正埋伏周围 |
[33:00] | waiting to interpret a tapping foot as a call for gay sex. | 等待将他的踮脚行为误译为同性恋买春 |
[33:05] | Now, uh, maybe larry craig deserved his fate. | 或许Larry Craig是自食其果 |
[33:09] | He was thrown in front of the very bus he helped to build. | 他搬石头却砸了自己的脚 |
[33:11] | But denny crane doesn’t deserve this. | 但Denny Crane并非如此 |
[33:13] | All he was trying to do was take a crap. | 他只是去拉屎而已 |
[33:23] | and even if one were to go there looking for sex, there’s no law against that. | 即使有人是去寻着性伙伴 也并不违法 |
[33:28] | The crime is soliciting for a fee. | 指控的罪行是买春 |
[33:31] | This complaint doesn’t even allege that any money was involved. | 检方甚至没有提及此处牵涉金钱 |
[33:34] | As my, uh, great aunt gert used to say, | 就像我姨奶奶说的那样 |
[33:37] | “this smells funny, and I’m not going to eat it.” | 这东西气味有些怪 我可不吃 |
[33:52] | The first amendment applies to state action only, t private companies. | 宪法第一修正案仅适用政府行为 不适用私人公司行为 |
[33:57] | If a government punishes mr. Binder for saying what he did, that’s censorship. | 如果政府因Binder先生的行为而予以惩罚 则属于非法审查 |
[34:01] | When a private business does so, it’s editorial control. | 如果是私人公司行为 则属于编辑控制 |
[34:05] | this isn’t going well. | 不妙 |
[34:07] | You say something, ms. Schmidt? | 你说什么 Schmidt女士? |
[34:08] | if I did, I’m sure it wasn’t important, your honor. | 没什么 无关紧要 法官大人 |
[34:12] | However… | 然而 |
[34:13] | there’s the magic word. | 这个词很妙 |
[34:15] | Corporations have become the biggest infringers of free expression. | 公司已经成为言论自由的最大侵害方 |
[34:19] | It’s been going on for years, starting with cigarette companies | 不是一天两天了 始于烟草公司 |
[34:22] | who pull their advertising dollars from any publication that runs an article on cancer. | 烟草公司对于报道癌症的媒体 就撤出其广告 |
[34:28] | Beyond that, corporations are using something called S.L.A.P.P. Suits to chill free speech. | 公司还利用阻止公众参与的诉讼策略 来妨碍言论自由 |
[34:34] | So when it comes to truth in this country, the fix is in. | 于是 每当真相被披露 他们总有办法 |
[34:39] | As for talk show hosts, the public gets the opinion the sponsors pay for. | 脱口秀方面 公众得到的意见正是赞助方想要的 |
[34:44] | Your honor, this is truly riveting, but can you just give us the ruling? | 法官大人 您说的真好 但能不能直接说结果? |
[34:49] | Dwarves have limited life spans. | 侏儒命短 |
[34:51] | Judgment for the petitioner. | 判原告胜 |
[34:53] | That work for ya? | 满意了吧? |
[34:55] | Are you on drugs? | 你嗑药了吗? |
[34:57] | He was hired to be a provocateur. | 电台雇他 就是让他煽动观众的 |
[34:59] | He said inflammatory things before. | 他之前也说过极具煽动性的言论 |
[35:02] | He was championed by the station for doing so. | 而且因此被电台褒奖 |
[35:05] | I’m ruling in favor of the plaintiff on an estoppel theory. | 我以禁止反言理论裁定原告胜诉 |
[35:10] | Please don’t take this personal, pip-squeak. | 我可没针对你 小个 |
[35:14] | I want that on the record. | 请把刚刚的言论予以记录 |
[35:16] | You know, that robe doesn’t give you the authority or the right to demean me for my size, | 法袍并没有赋予你歧视我的资格 |
[35:21] | you barrage balloon. | 你这肥泡泡 |
[35:25] | Go ahead. | 来啊 |
[35:26] | What are you gonna do? | 你能怎样? |
[35:41] | Bethany | bethany. |
[35:48] | That cannon remark was really below the belt. | 实在太过分了 |
[35:52] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[35:55] | It wasn’t my intent to… | 这不是我的本意 |
[35:58] | well, stoop to your level, and please don’t take that the wrong way. | 请别误会 |
[36:03] | It’s just… | 只是 |
[36:05] | you seem to push my buttons for whatever reason. | 你是有些惹恼了我 |
[36:10] | Not many people can do that. | 很少有人能做到这一点 |
[36:13] | Is it because I was with denny, and you still love him? | 因为我曾和Denny在一起 而你还爱她? |
[36:16] | It could be many things, but n-not that. | 是有原因 但不是因为他 |
[36:21] | The–the truth is, I bet… | 说真的 |
[36:23] | I could like you. | 我喜欢你 |
[36:26] | okay, not a chance. | 好吧 不可能喜欢 |
[36:29] | But I do tip to my hat to you, bethany. | 但我确实挺尊敬你的 Bethany |
[36:34] | You really are something. | 你有一套 |
[36:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:41] | Well… have a good night. | 好吧 做个好梦 |
[36:45] | Until we meet again. | 直到我们再见面 |
[36:47] | Yes, until. | 对 直到再见面 |
[37:07] | A fatwa? | 宗教决断? |
[37:09] | Some pakistani put a hit on her? | 有巴基斯坦人要追杀她? |
[37:12] | That’s what she said. | 她是这么说的 |
[37:13] | I have had heard of these honor killings. | 我是听说过类似情杀的 |
[37:16] | – A fatwa? – Keep your voice down. | – 宗教判决? – 声音小点 |
[37:18] | She asked me to keep her confidence. | 她让我保密的 |
[37:19] | – Whitney – I’m not keeping it. – Whitney! | – 我可不管 |
[37:21] | Suppose her ex-husband shows up here? | 她前夫找到这里来怎么办? |
[37:23] | I’m not going down in some fatwa. | 我可不想被连累 |
[37:28] | Hello. | 你好 |
[37:30] | hello. | 你好 |
[37:31] | How’s it going? | 怎么样? |
[37:34] | what’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[37:35] | Oh, nothing. Just discussing the patriots and red sox and fatwas. | 没什么 在讨论爱国问题 棒球 还有宗教判决 |
[37:43] | I’m disappointed. | 我很失望 |
[37:44] | you’re disappointed? | 失望? |
[37:46] | You put us all at risk, girl. | 你把我们都连累上了 |
[37:47] | What if your ex-pakistani blows up the building, hmm? | 万一巴基斯坦前男友把这楼炸了怎么办? |
[37:50] | That would really disappoint me. | 那会令我很失望 |
[37:52] | In fact, we’d all go to pieces. | 到时大家都完蛋 |
[37:57] | I can’t stop you revealing my secret if that’s what you choose to do. | 你要泄露我的秘密我也没办法 |
[38:00] | But you will jeopardize my life. | 但你这样会毁了我的生活 |
[38:13] | A fatwa? | 宗教判决? |
[38:28] | Can you imagine? | 难以想象 |
[38:29] | Of all the times I’ve beaten the rap, to be convicted of public gayness… | 这么多年叱诧风云 却要被判在公共场所进行同性性行为 |
[38:34] | I’ll be forced to unregister as a republican. | 到时只能被迫退出共和党了 |
[38:36] | Republicans would have no problem with you being gay, denny, | 你当同性恋 共和党不会有意见的 |
[38:39] | so long as you continue to persecute homosexuals. | 只要你以后继续控告同性恋 |
[38:41] | I hope you’re right. | 希望如此 |
[38:43] | Madam foreperson, the jury’s verdict is unanimous? | 主席女士 陪审团意见一致吗? |
[38:47] | Yes, your honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[38:48] | The defendant will please rise. | 被告请起立 |
[38:52] | Madam foreperson, what say you? | 主席女士 结果如何? |
[38:53] | We find the defendant denny crane… | 陪审团裁定被告Denny Crane |
[38:57] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:01] | oh, thank god. | 感谢上帝 |
[39:03] | Congratulations, denny. | 恭喜 Denny |
[39:04] | Uh, could your honor find as a matter of law that I am not gay? | 法庭能否裁定 我不是同性恋? |
[39:08] | Denied. | 驳回 |
[39:11] | adjourned. | 退庭 |
[39:13] | You must be deeply relieved. | 你可以大大的松口气了 |
[39:15] | Oh, I could hug you, but I might get arrested. | 我想抱你 但怕被捕 |
[39:18] | Hug me anyway. | 抱吧 |
[39:28] | not gay. | 我不是同性恋 |
[39:29] | Not guilty. | 我无罪 |
[39:38] | Tell me the truth. | 说实话 |
[39:38] | Wouldn’t you hate it if people thought you were gay? | 如果人家以为你是同性恋 你会不会介意? |
[39:43] | Well, I’d hate the idea of being perceived as deceitful or dishonest. | 如果人家认为我不诚实 我会介意 |
[39:49] | As for sexual orientation, I… | 至于性取向 嗯 |
[39:53] | women are much less guarded around gay men, denny. | 女人对同性恋男人戒备较少 |
[39:56] | You could endear yourself as a bit of a trojan horse before surprising them with your… | 你可以假装同性恋接近女人 然后 |
[40:01] | trojan. | 给她们惊喜 |
[40:03] | I never thought of that. | 以前没想过 |
[40:06] | This could be an advantage. | 好主意 |
[40:13] | thank you, alan. | 谢谢 Alan |
[40:16] | I’m not crazy about you lumping me with that closet democrat from idaho but… | 拿我和那位爱达荷州民主党相提并论 我并不很喜欢 |
[40:23] | still, thank you. | 但是 还是要谢谢你 |
[40:26] | Can you believe the D.A. Tried to exploit us for being flamingos? | 检察官居然拿咱俩火烈鸟说事 |
[40:30] | Oh, ridiculous. | 荒谬 |
[40:33] | Thank god he didn’t find out we like to dress up as the lennon sisters. | 幸亏他没发现咱俩还扮莱农姐妹 |
[40:38] | he actually tried to shame us for our sleepovers. | 他想用过夜的事情来羞辱咱俩 |
[40:41] | Bigot. | 小心眼 |
[40:42] | Those homosexuals can’t stand the thought of legitimate male bonding. | 那帮同性恋无法想象合法的男人情谊 |
[40:47] | Where is the tolerance? | 容忍在何处? |
[40:49] | oh, did you hear? | 你听说没? |
[40:51] | Shirley went up against bethany. | Shirley跟Bethany干上了 |
[40:54] | No. | 没 |
[40:58] | God, it’s been so long since I’ve had sex with a dwarf. | 天哪 好久没和那侏儒上床了 |
[41:01] | Me, too. | 我也是 |
[41:04] | Me, too. | 我也是 |
[41:06] | It’s the little things, alan. | 就是那些小事 Alan |
[41:09] | we gotta stop working so much. | 应该少点工作了 |
[41:11] | Maybe if you could stop getting arrested. | 你还是少被抓吧 |
[41:13] | I’m the problem? | 问题在我? |
[41:14] | well, you have been causing a fair amount of trouble lately. | 你最近惹了不少麻烦 |
[41:21] | you think I’ve lived an evil life? | 你觉得我的生活有问题? |
[41:24] | I womanize, I drink, I break the law, | 玩女人 喝酒 闯祸 |
[41:27] | and now to be mistaken for a-A… | 现在又被误抓 |
[41:32] | well, you get to be my age, | 到了我这年纪 |
[41:34] | you–you worry about the afterlife and where you’re heading. | 就会考虑来世 前程 |
[41:41] | You ever think about those things? | 你考虑过没有? |
[41:45] | Sometimes. | 有过 |
[41:47] | Then I remember what mark twain said, | 之后我想到马克・吐温的话 |
[41:49] | “you go to heaven for the climate but to hell for the compy,” so… | 为朋友下地狱 为好天气上天堂 |
[41:53] | no matter what, in the end… | 无论如何 最终 |
[41:55] | we’ll be together. | 咱俩还会在一起 |
[41:57] | Indeed. | 是的 |
[41:58] | Soul mates in hell. I love it. | 地狱中的心灵伙伴 我喜欢 |
[42:04] | I bet they have dwarves in hell. | 地狱里一定有侏儒 |
[42:07] | How could they not? | 怎么会没有? |
[42:11] | Suddenly I’m less afraid of death. | 我突然不怕死了 |
[42:14] | There you go. | 对头 |
[42:25] | ————————– | 禁止任何商业用途否则后果自负 ————————– |