时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Alan Shirley Alan,shirley. | |
[00:02] | Lorraine | Lorraine. |
[00:03] | I suppose it was inevitable we’d finally bump heads a bit. | 看来我们最终 还是要冤家聚下头啊 |
[00:06] | This was just assigned to us by the court. | 这刚由法庭发派下来给我们 |
[00:07] | Indigent client– old lawyer jumped in front of a bus– | 没钱的当事人 上个律师被公交撞了 |
[00:10] | now he needs a new one. | 现在他得要个新律师 |
[00:11] | Did you not commit this crime? | 你是不是没犯这罪行? |
[00:12] | Why aren’t you pleading this case out? | 你干吗不向法庭求情 了结这个案子? |
[00:14] | He’s innocent. | 他是清白的 |
[00:15] | Alan,you take over. | Alan 你来接手这个 |
[00:16] | Me? What about jerry? | 我? 那Jerry呢? |
[00:17] | If there’s a hope,it’s not katie lloyd. | 就算有一线希望 也不在Katie Lloyd身上 |
[00:19] | Katie lloyd will be my lawyer. | Katie Lloyd将成为我的律师 |
[00:21] | Dr.Rivers,several people have stated that joseph washington seemed obsessed with your wife. | Rivers医生 很多人声称 Joseph Washington迷恋过您妻子 |
[00:26] | – Did you ever see indications of this? – No. | – 你看出过迹象么? – 没有 |
[00:28] | He always struck me as a nice man. | 我总觉得他是个好人 |
[00:40] | We have what is called a presumption of innence in this countr | 在我们国家有个原则叫”无罪假定” |
[00:43] | but I doubt ny of you presume joseph washington is innocent. | 但是我觉得你们都不会假定 Joseph Washington是清白的 |
[00:48] | I mean,when you think about it,he was arrested and brought to trial | 我是说 想想吧 他被逮捕带到法庭上 |
[00:51] | because the policeand the district attorney are quite convinced he’s guilty. | 因为警察和地方检察官都深信他有罪 |
[00:56] | And since the prosecution gets to go first, | 鉴于先要起诉 |
[00:59] | the 12 of you might be equally predisposed, | 在座的12位或许各持己见 |
[01:02] | if you’re not already,long before the defense ever gets to present its side. | 即使在被告还没有为自己申辩 你们就已经… |
[01:05] | Stop. | 停下 |
[01:07] | Why make that concession? | 为什么要做让步? |
[01:09] | Well,I thought better to share with them the idea it’s okay to think he’s guilty– | 我觉得最好先站在他们的立场上 解释”认为他有罪是合理的” |
[01:14] | never concede that your client looks guilty and never give the jury permission to think so. | 永远不要让你当事人看起来有罪 而且永远不要给陪审团这样想的余地 |
[01:19] | The police are serving up joseph washington because they’ve got nobody else. | 警察揪住Joseph Washington 不过因为他们找不到其他人 |
[01:22] | That’s why we’re here. | 所以我们才派上用场 |
[01:24] | A rich doctor’s wife was killed in a safe neighborhood. | 一个富有医生的妻子 在治安良好的社区被杀 |
[01:27] | Somebody’s got to go to jail,whether it’s the right person or not. | 有人必须坐牢 不管是否抓对了人 |
[01:29] | But wouldn’t it help our credibility if we admit,”okay,he looks guilty”? | 如果我们承认”好吧 他看起来有罪” 不是更显得我们的可信么? |
[01:32] | But guilt is a legal term,katie. | 但是有罪 是个法律词 Katie |
[01:35] | It suggests that the prosecution has met its burden. | 是指起诉的目的最终达到 |
[01:39] | Maybe you should do this. | 也许你该来做 |
[01:40] | I would,but the client insists on you. | 我本可以 但当事人指明了要你 |
[01:43] | Or–or jerry. | 或者 或者由Jerry |
[01:44] | No. You. | 不 就得你 |
[01:48] | This thing starts in ten hours. | 10个小时候后 你就要开始了 |
[01:53] | Are you a lawyer or not? | 你到底是不是个律师? |
[01:59] | – I’m a lawyer. – Yes,you are. | – 我是个律师 – 是的 没错 |
[02:04] | The 12 people sitting in this box need to trust you when you say, “let my client go,” | 当你说 “释放我的当事人吧” 坐这栏内的12个人得相信你才行 |
[02:09] | and that will never happen if you don’t trust yourself. | 如果你自己都不相信自己 那么这是天方夜谭 |
[02:17] | Shall we listen to it from the top? | 我们可以从头再听一次么? |
[02:19] | Okay. | 好的 |
[02:25] | good morning,ladies and gentlemen. | 早上好 女士们先生们 |
[02:27] | We have what is called a presumption of innocence in this country. | 我们国家有个原则叫 “无罪假定” |
[02:36] | I’m okay. | 我没事 |
[02:38] | Oh,dear. | 哦 天啊 |
[03:06] | Boston Legal Season04 Episode02 | 波士顿法律 |
[03:14] | what do you mean,she fainted? | 你说她晕倒了 什么意思? |
[03:16] | She didn’t completely lose consciousness but– | 她并未完全丧失知觉–但是 |
[03:19] | where is she now? | 她现在在哪儿? |
[03:20] | At the courthouse. She went in early to get comfortable with the room. | 在法庭 她提前去那里适应去了 |
[03:23] | And jerry? | Jerry呢? |
[03:24] | Purring away. | 叽里咕噜了一路 |
[03:25] | He’ll take the first witness and give katie time to find her sea legs, | 他得询问第一个证人 以给Katie点适应的时间 |
[03:29] | and then he’ll do the csing. | 然后他会做结案陈词 |
[03:30] | Alan,do–do they have any chance here? | Alan 他们会有胜算么? |
[03:33] | If they can establish that the client and the victim were lovers, | 如果他们能证明 当事人和受害人是情人 |
[03:36] | it may allow them to point suspicion at the husband. | 可能会有机会将嫌疑指向 受害人丈夫 |
[03:39] | Can they establish that? | 他们能证明么? |
[03:41] | so far all they have is the client’s word. | 如今他们只有当事人的一面之词 |
[03:44] | Katie is going to see the victim’s therapist today. | Katie今天要去见 受害人的心理医生 |
[03:46] | Maybe he can confirm it. | 也许他能证实 |
[03:48] | I need to get to court. | 我得上庭了 |
[03:49] | Alan,wait a sec. | Alan 等等 |
[03:50] | I just have to talk to you about something first. | 我首先得告诉你点事 |
[03:52] | – Who’s suing you now? – N-nobody. | – 又有谁告你了么? – 没 没人 |
[03:54] | It’s just,uh,with denise on extended maternity and things being busier here, | 只是 因为Denise产假延长 而这里事情又忙了点儿 |
[03:59] | I’ve hired another associate. | 我已经雇佣了另一位合作人 |
[04:01] | Great. A woman,I hope. | 太好了 我希望 是个女人 |
[04:03] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:03] | Who likes to be teased and tempted. | 喜欢被招惹和挑逗的女人 |
[04:05] | Loves it. | 喜欢啊 |
[04:06] | Then I can’t wait to meet her. | 那我等不及要见她呢 |
[04:07] | well,you see,you have met her. | 其实是 你已经见过她了 |
[04:12] | Al-alan,lorraine. Lorraine,alan. | Lorraine 这位是Alan Alan 这位是Lorraine |
[04:15] | Hello,alan. | 你好啊 Alan |
[04:17] | Still looking well. | 看上去还是不错嘛 |
[04:20] | I–is this a joke? | 这 这开玩笑么? |
[04:23] | Well,it’s not a joke. She’s a great attorney. | 恩 这不是玩笑 她是个很棒的律师 |
[04:25] | I–perhaps it’s a little funny,but it’s not a joke. | 这 这也许有点意思 但不是个玩笑 |
[04:29] | But funny. To whom? | 但有点意思 对谁来说呢? |
[04:31] | Well,perhaps to me,and maybe lorraine sees the humor in it. Do you,lorraine? | 也许对我来说吧 也许Lorraine 能赏识其中的幽默 是不 Lorraine? |
[04:46] | It’s an extremely gruesome death. | 是个很残忍的死法 |
[04:48] | strangulation actually crushes the windpipe. | 勒颈导致气管破裂 |
[04:51] | You know,the larynx. | 就是 喉咙那里 |
[04:55] | it forces pressure into the eye sockets. | 让压力挤到眼槽 |
[04:58] | Sometimes the eyes have been known to pop out. | 所以有时候眼睛会像大家知道的 那样爆出来 |
[05:00] | death can take up to two minutes. | 死亡过程大概要2分钟 |
[05:02] | To me,I’ve always thought it takes a parcular kind of sociopath to kill this way. | 我觉得 除非是个特别反社会变态 才会这么残忍杀人 |
[05:06] | Shouldn’t we be objecting? | 我们不该叫 反对 么? |
[05:08] | I’d rather not. | 我觉得还是不要啦 |
[05:09] | I mean,think of it. You look at your victim. | 我是说 想想吧 看着你的受害人 |
[05:11] | You’re staring into her eyes as you’re squeezing the life out of her. | 你把她生命夺走的时候 还盯着她眼睛 |
[05:14] | You watch her profound suffering. | 你看着她深受痛苦 |
[05:15] | It’s the essence of depravity. | 这是堕落的本质啊 |
[05:18] | Thank you,doctor. | 谢谢你 医生 |
[05:42] | Your testimony smacked of psychology. | 你的证词参杂了心理学的成分 |
[05:43] | Are you a psychologist,doctor? | 你是个心理学家么 医生? |
[05:46] | no. | 不是 |
[05:47] | Are you a behavioral scientist? | 你是个行为分析学家么? |
[05:51] | No. | 不是 |
[05:52] | I’m curious as to why you didn’t just stick to medical findings then. | 那我好奇你干吗 不仅就医学证据来论理 |
[05:55] | Do you have any medical findings that point to my client as the killer? | 你有任何医学证据 来证明我当事人就是凶手么? |
[05:59] | His semen was in the woman. | 他的精子在那女人体内 |
[06:00] | That’s evidence of sex,not muer. | 那是有过性关系的证据 不是谋杀证据 |
[06:02] | Evidence of rape. | 是强奸证据 |
[06:03] | Did your findings conclude a rape had occurred,doctor? | 你采集到的证据能证实 有强奸的行为发生吗 医生? |
[06:05] | There was vaginal bruising. | 阴道有淤痕 |
[06:06] | Minimal vaginal bruing,according to your report, | 根据你报道 是小阴道有肿 |
[06:09] | which could be consistent with consensual intercourse,am I correct? | 两相情愿的性关系也会这样 不是么? |
[06:14] | I suppose. | 我想是的 |
[06:15] | Nothing further. | 没问题了 |
[06:29] | what are you doing sitting back there? | 你坐在后面干吗呢? |
[06:31] | I’m monitoring. | 我在监督呢 |
[06:33] | Do you have an answer yet? | 你现在有答案了么? |
[06:37] | To what? | 什么的答案? |
[06:38] | Our baby. | 我们的孩子 |
[06:40] | Are we having one? | 我们要不要一个? |
[06:44] | Gloria,I suspect the decision to have a child falls into the life-changing category. | Gloria 我觉得要不要孩子是个改变 一生的决定 |
[06:50] | Do you really mean to rush me,given the fact that it’S. | 你真的要催促我吗? 考虑到这事关… |
[06:56] | – me? – Yes. | – 于我? – 是的 |
[06:58] | We’ve been together long enough. | 我们已经在一起很长时间了 |
[07:01] | Are you in or out? | 你要还是不要? |
[07:05] | Can you imagine putting it to me like that? | 把我逼成那样 你能想象吗? |
[07:08] | Well,here’s the thing about women,alan– | 女人有这么一特点 Alan |
[07:11] | their eggs and their brain cells dry up all at the same time. | 她们脑细胞和卵子会一起流失 |
[07:14] | And here’s the thing about that woman– | 而这个女人的问题所在就是… |
[07:16] | – Gloria? – she’s a psycho. | – 她神精了 – Gloria? |
[07:18] | She’s a total nut job. Trust me on this. | 她简直就是疯婆娘 相信我 |
[07:20] | Of course,you happen to go for total nut jobs. | 当然 你又显然好疯婆娘那一口 |
[07:24] | Excuse me. | 打扰下 |
[07:26] | – Free for dinner? – I am. | – 有空吃饭不? – 我有 |
[07:29] | Denny,could you excuse us,please? | Denny 你能为我们回避下不? |
[07:30] | I know this wonderful restaurant. | 我知道有个很不错的餐厅 |
[07:32] | We could leave right now. We could take the elevator. | 我们现在走吧 我们可以坐电梯哦 |
[07:35] | Denny,please. | Denny 求你啦 |
[07:36] | Welcome to the firm. | 欢迎来着律所 |
[07:38] | Denny crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[07:40] | – Enchante. – Oh,my. | – 很荣幸见到你 – 天啊 |
[07:42] | me,too. | 我也是 |
[07:51] | I’m not stalking you,if that’s your concern. | 我不会窥探你 如果你担心这个的话 |
[07:54] | Why are you here,with that neck and those eyes and. | 为什么你来这里 带着那样美丽的脖子和眼睛 |
[08:01] | all the rest? | 还有这一切? |
[08:02] | I came here to practice law,alan. | 我是来从事法律 Alan |
[08:04] | No need to worry about me. | 别担心我 |
[08:06] | Need we worry about you? | 我们要担心你么? |
[08:19] | – we can’t do this. – NeveR. | – 我们不能这么做 – 永远不 |
[08:30] | I really appreciate you seeing me,doctor. | 很感谢你愿意见我 医生 |
[08:32] | I’m not sure it’ll do you any good. | 我不肯定能不能帮到你 |
[08:34] | I understand you treated mrs. Rivers for about three years. | 我知道你治疗Rivers夫人 大约有3年了 |
[08:37] | I did. | 是的 |
[08:38] | And during that time,did she ever mention a romantic relationship with joseph washington? | 而在这期间 她有没有提到和 Joseph Washington的亲密关系? |
[08:43] | Ms. Lloyd,anything a client tells me is privileged. | Lloyd小姐 病人告诉我的 所有事情都要保密 |
[08:45] | Certainly you must know that. | 肯定你是知道的 |
[08:47] | Of course. | 当然 |
[08:49] | Doctor,I-I have enormous respect for your desire to maintain confidentiality, | 医生 我非常敬慕 你坚守保密的精神 |
[08:53] | but I have a client I believe is being falsely accused of murder. | 但我的当事人被误控以谋杀 |
[08:57] | If I cannot establish this affair– and right now I can’t– he may very well be convicted. | 如果我不能证实这段地下情 至少现在无法证实…他很可能会被定罪 |
[09:01] | I’m a bit desperate. | 我有点绝望啊 |
[09:11] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[09:16] | If you were to be subpoenaed and called to the stand,could I at least count on you to tell the truth? | 如果你被传唤到法庭上 我能指望你会说实话么? |
[09:22] | Well,counselor. | 律师啊 |
[09:25] | you have no idea what the truth is. | 真相是什么 你想都想不到 |
[09:47] | That stuff’ll kill you. | 那东西难吃死了 |
[09:49] | There’s a great espresso cafe across the street. Much better. | 对街有很好的浓咖啡 好得多 |
[09:53] | Le-let me take you. | 让 让我带你去吧 |
[09:54] | We could go down in the elevator and come back up. | 我们可以坐电梯下去 再坐电梯回来 |
[09:58] | Alan told you about our little encounter. | Alan告诉了你我们的一些过往 |
[10:00] | Mm,yeah,out of guilt. | 嗯 他那是出于罪恶感 |
[10:02] | He needed the comfort of a friend. | 他需要朋友的安慰 |
[10:04] | He’s in a very serious relationship. You know this. | 他现有一段非常认真的恋情 你知道吧 |
[10:08] | Your hand is on my hip. | 你的手放在我臀上 |
[10:10] | Incidental contact. | 无意的接触啦 |
[10:11] | Listen,alan has trouble with fidelity. | 听着 Alan在专一这方面有问题 |
[10:14] | Oh,he can be loyal to his friends. | 他却对朋友衷心不二 |
[10:16] | He would never betray me,for ample. | 比如说 他永远不会背叛我 |
[10:19] | But womeN. | 但是女人嘛 |
[10:21] | I try to help him as best I can. | 我当然尽力帮他啦 |
[10:23] | Oh,he’s lucky to have you. | 他有你在身边可真幸运 |
[10:25] | Bottom line is he’d never be able to resist you for gloria– | 总之 即使有Gloria他也无法抗拒你 |
[10:30] | those pouty lips,come-hither breasts. | 这翘起的唇 这诱人的胸部 |
[10:32] | The only way he’d be able to keep his hands off you is if you became involved with A. | 唯一他会对你罢手的方法是 你和他… |
[10:37] | a close friend. | 他亲密的朋友有染 |
[10:39] | Say his best friend. | 比如说他的最好朋友 |
[10:42] | Say me. | 比如说 我 |
[10:44] | You’re standing awfully close,denny. | 你站得太近了 Denny |
[10:48] | Sleep with me. | 和我上床吧 |
[10:50] | for alan. | 为了Alan |
[10:56] | So the victim was in this condition and position when you arrived on the scene,detective? | 那么你到现场时 受害者就是 这个状态和方位吗 警探? |
[10:59] | Yes. We immediately recognized it as a strangulation. | 是的 我们立刻认定是勒死的 |
[11:03] | Did you have any immediate leads,sir? | 你们当即有发现什么线索吗 长官 |
[11:05] | The neighbors saw the custodian,joseph washington,entering the premises around 5:00 P.M. | 邻居看到看门人Joseph Washington 大概下午5点进了案发现场 |
[11:10] | Upon searching his locker,we found traces of blood that ultimately matched that of the victim. | 在搜他橱柜时 我们找到了 和受害人的血迹 |
[11:16] | Upon questioning the defendant,he admitted to raping and murdering mrs.Rivers. | 在审问被告过程中 他承认了强奸并杀害Rivers夫人 |
[11:21] | D.N.A. Analysis eventually positively identified the semen as being his. | D.N.A.检测也证实了精子是他的 |
[11:26] | Thank you,sir. | 谢谢你 长官 |
[11:37] | Are you okay? | 你能成不? |
[11:39] | yes. | 是的 |
[11:51] | if I may ask,was the blood found on the inside or outside of mr. Washington’s locker? | 我想问下 血是从Washington先生 的橱柜外还是橱柜内找到的? |
[11:56] | The outside. | 外面 |
[11:57] | So if someone had endeavored to make it look like joseph washington had killed her, | 所以如果有人想造成 Joseph Washington杀了她的假象 |
[12:01] | they could’ve spattered a droplet or two? | 他们弄两滴上去就可以了? |
[12:03] | He also confessed. | 但他也坦白了 |
[12:04] | Yes,as I understand it,he protested his innocence for 36 hours, | 是的 我知道 他为自己清白捍卫了36小时 |
[12:08] | all the while being sleep deprived,after which he voluntarily confessed. | 而这36小时内他毫无睡眠 后来他才主动招认 |
[12:13] | The extent of this confession was,”okay,I did it.Whatever.” | 他招认的内容是 “好吧 我干的 管他呢” |
[12:16] | It was voluntary and genuine. | 是自愿的 真实的 |
[12:20] | – Did you consider anybody else? – No. | – 你们还考虑了其他人吗? – 没有 |
[12:22] | He was seen entering her apartment around the time of the murder, | 有人目击他在案发时间 进入她公寓 |
[12:25] | so our immediate focus was on him. | 所以他立刻吸引了我的注意力 |
[12:27] | Once the semen was determined to be his and the blood on his locker was determined to be hers, | 一经检验精子是他的 橱柜上血是她的 |
[12:32] | he became our only suspect. | 他就成了我们唯一嫌疑犯 |
[12:35] | And he confessed. | 而且他认罪了 |
[12:37] | So he was the only one you really investigated? | 所以他是你们唯一真正调查的? |
[12:54] | Where’d you find this katie? | 你在哪找到这个Katie的? |
[12:57] | Not every great young lawyer comes out of harvard,alan. | 不是所有好的年轻律师 都出自哈佛 Alan |
[13:01] | Where’d she come from? | 那她是哪儿毕业的? |
[13:05] | Harvard. | 哈佛 |
[13:09] | so are– are we having a baby? | 那么我们–我们会不会多个孩子? |
[13:13] | Denny talks. | Denny告诉我啦 |
[13:19] | Did you ever struggle with the question of having children,shirley? | 你以前有没有在生孩子 这个问题上困惑过 Shirley? |
[13:26] | Is it that you don’t want kids,alan, | 问题是你不想要孩子 Alan |
[13:30] | or the idea of having them with gloria? | 还是不想和Gloria生孩子? |
[13:40] | I come from a long line of dreadful fathers– | 我家里的父辈都不怎么样 |
[13:45] | my great-grandfather and my grandfather. | 我太祖父 我祖父 |
[13:49] | my father. | 我父亲 |
[13:52] | With each generation,they get worse. | 一代不如一代 |
[13:57] | And me,well. | 而我 也是 |
[14:01] | you don’t think you’d make a good father? | 你觉得你做不了好爸爸? |
[14:05] | I think a child might get a little lost with me leading the way. | 我觉得让养育一个孩子 他肯定会充满困惑 |
[14:11] | Jerry? | Jerry? |
[14:13] | I’m very sorry to intrude. | 很抱歉打扰 |
[14:15] | Alan,we need to go. | Alan 我们得出发了 |
[14:17] | Right. | 好的 |
[14:19] | Shirley. | Shirley 失陪 |
[14:34] | I entered our apartment just before 6:00. | 我就在6点前进了我们公寓 |
[14:37] | I called out to ann,but there was no response, | 我叫Ann的名字 但是没人回应 |
[14:39] | which was odd because we had planned to have an early dinner. | 这很奇怪因为我们约好了 要早点去晚餐 |
[14:43] | I went into the living room,and there she was. | 我到了起居室看到了她 |
[14:47] | Her eyes were bulging and open. | 她的眼睛张开 暴突 |
[14:50] | She was dead. | 她已经死了 |
[14:52] | Sir,did you have any thoughts about who could’ve possibly done this? | 先生 你想到可能是谁行凶的吗? |
[14:55] | I knew who did it. | 我早知道谁会这么做 |
[14:56] | Joseph Washington | Joseph washington. |
[14:58] | and why,doctor? | 为什么 医生? |
[14:59] | My wife had recently complained to me that he had been paying her an unusual and untoward interest. | 我妻子最近一直向我抱怨 他对她有图谋不轨 |
[15:05] | She felt he was becoming obsessed. | 她觉得他是迷恋上了 |
[15:07] | And she was becoming frightened of him. | 而她又很害怕他 |
[15:10] | Why would he lie like that? | 为什么他要说那样的谎话? |
[15:11] | I specifically asked him before,”do you have any reason to suspect joseph?” | 我以前特意问了他 “你有任何怀疑Joseph的理由吗?” |
[15:15] | And he said,”no.” You heard him,jerry. | 而他说 “没有” 你听到的 Jerry |
[15:17] | I did. Liar!Liar! | 是的 骗子 骗子! |
[15:19] | – Okay,both of you need to take a breath. – Liar! | – 好的 你们俩都深呼吸一下 – 骗子! |
[15:21] | Jerry,stay. | Jerry 别动! |
[15:26] | Witnesses lie. This one did. | 证人会撒谎 这人就是如此 |
[15:28] | Either because he is the real killer, | 或许因为他是真正的凶手 |
[15:30] | or the prosecution simply told him that they wobble on motive, | 或者控方就告诉他 他们在行凶动机上站不住脚 |
[15:33] | and he decided to bolster their case. | 而他决定给他们出把力 |
[15:35] | Husbands have been known to be biased against their wives’ killers. | 大家都知道丈夫杀害妻子 的凶手有偏恨 |
[15:38] | I didn’t kill her. | 我没有杀她 |
[15:41] | So what do I do? | 那么我该怎么做? |
[15:44] | Well,you can call jerry to establish a lie,but in doing so, | 你可以叫Jerry证实他骗人 然而这样 |
[15:47] | he becomes a witness and would be disqualified as a lawyer. | 他会作为证人而不是律师出庭 |
[15:50] | I would simply accuse the doctor of lying,try to make him squirm. | 换了我 就会控诉那医生说谎 让他证词动摇 |
[15:54] | I would also ask him if he knew that his wife was having an affair with joseph. | 我还可以问问他是否知道 他妻子和Joseph有地下情 |
[15:57] | It’s assuming a fact not in evidence,but so what? | 这是推测一个没有证据的案情 不过那又怎样? |
[16:01] | The question itself will score. | 这问题本身就是赢点 |
[16:03] | Then cross him on time line. | 然后在时间方面询问他 |
[16:05] | Should I accuse him of being the killer? | 我要指责他是凶手吗? |
[16:06] | That I wouldn’t do. You can’t prove it, | 要是我 我就不会 你又证明不了 |
[16:08] | and we can’t have you coming off as the bad guy since joseph already seems to have that well in hand. | 我们不能让你唱黑脸 因为Joseph对你的人品如此死心塌地 |
[16:13] | – It doesn’t sound like much. – You haven’t got much. | – 听起来并不够啊 – 你证据也不够啊 |
[16:16] | All you can play for here is reasonable doubt. | 你所能利用的就是合理存疑 |
[16:19] | And you have got to stay calm. | 而你们必须要保持冷静 |
[16:40] | when I spoke to you,doctor,you said nothing about your wife feeling frightened. | 我和你谈话的时候 医生 你可没说过任何你妻子害怕什么的话 |
[16:44] | In fact,you stated that she had madno complaints about my client. | 事实上 你说她对我当事人毫无抱怨 |
[16:47] | I had made a decision not to cooperate with someone | 我自己决定不和某些 |
[16:49] | who was trying to secure the freedom of the man who had raped and murdered my wife. | 想让强奸和谋杀 我妻子的凶手逍遥法外的人合作 |
[16:55] | Doctor,did you know that your wife and joseph washington were having an affair? | 医生 你知道你妻子和 Joseph Washington有段地下情吗? |
[17:00] | I had no such knowledge. | 我不知道 |
[17:02] | You said that you went into your apartment just before 6:00. | 你说你在6点前进入了你公寓 |
[17:06] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:06] | Video surveillance in the parking garag shows you entering the facility at 5:20. | 停车库的监控器上 显示你是5点20进去的 |
[17:11] | What were you doing for 40 minutes,doctor? | 你这40分钟做了什么 医生? |
[17:13] | Finishing up a phone call with a colleague on an oncology consult. | 和某同僚在手机上 聊了一个肿瘤学案例 |
[17:16] | I spent the duration dictating my notes and conclusions. | 这段时间我在做记录和总结 |
[17:26] | Doctor,did you kill your wife and attempt to frame my client? | 医生 是不是你杀了你妻子 又想嫁祸给我当事人? |
[17:29] | – Your honor- – overruled. | – 法官大人 – 反对无效 |
[17:32] | I did not kill my wife. | 我没杀我妻子 |
[17:34] | the question didn’teem to offend you. | 你好像并未觉得 此问题有冒犯性 |
[17:35] | The question doesn’t shock me because you tipped your hand when you came to my office. | 我对这问题不诧异是因为 当你来我办公室时就露出了底牌 |
[17:40] | You revealed who and what you are then,counsel. | 你显露出你的目的 律师 |
[17:50] | I have nothing further. | 我没有其他问题了 |
[17:58] | No redirect,your honor. | 没有问题了 法官大人 |
[18:00] | You may step down,doctor. | 你可以下去了 医生 |
[18:05] | mr.Chase? | Chase先生? |
[18:07] | The prosecution rests,your honor. | 控方没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[18:15] | I’m so sorry. | 真是对不起 |
[18:15] | I just–I felt the cross was so utterly anemic. | 我只是-我觉得交叉提问的内容 太没有力度了 |
[18:18] | D I remembered your advice about how a question alone could be effective, | 我记得你的忠告 问题本身也是赢点 |
[18:22] | and I-I just suddenly got the idea to accuse him. | 而我就突然冒出指控他的念头 |
[18:24] | You didn’t remember the advice about not looking like the bad guy? | 你不记得我建议你不要唱黑脸? |
[18:31] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:37] | Joseph | joseph. |
[18:40] | look at me. | 看着我 |
[18:44] | My guess is second degree is still on the table. | 我觉如果求情的话 二级谋杀依旧可以申请到 |
[18:46] | – Now would be the time for- – no. | – 现在应该是时候 – 不 |
[18:50] | I could take the stand. | 我可以出庭 |
[18:51] | In which case,all your prior felonies will be introduced. | 这样的话你的前科也会被抖出来 |
[18:53] | Well,I’m not gonna plead. | 那 我也不会认罪 |
[18:55] | I didn’t kill her. I won’t say I did. | 我没杀她 我不会说我杀了她的 |
[18:58] | I’d rather spend the rest of my life in jail than. | 那样我还不如余生入狱 |
[19:03] | I won’t say it. | 我不会那么说 |
[19:06] | What about the victim’s therapist? | 受害者的心理医生呢? |
[19:08] | I subpoenaed him. I have no idea what he’d say. | 我传唤了他 我不知道他会说什么 |
[19:10] | Do you have an instinct? | 你有什么直觉不? |
[19:11] | I think he’d tell the truth. | 我觉得他会说实话 |
[19:13] | – The truth being they were lovers. – Yes. | – 就是说出他们实际上是情人这事实 – 是的 |
[19:20] | you never,ever call a witness if you don’t know what he or she is going to say. | 如果你不知道一个证人要说什么 就不应该叫他/她上庭 |
[19:26] | But? | 但是? |
[19:29] | But I don’t think you have any other choice here. | 但是我觉得你现在别无选择 |
[19:38] | Do you swear to tell the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth,so help you god? | 你能以上帝之名宣誓说出真相 及所有真相并绝无虚言? |
[19:41] | – I do. – Be seated. | – 是的 – 请入座 |
[19:49] | good afternoon,dr. Wood. | 下午好 Wood医生 |
[19:51] | It should be pointed out that you are here today courtesy of a subpoena. | 首先要指出 你是因为法庭传唤而到庭 |
[19:54] | – Is that correct? – It is. | – 对不对? – 是的 |
[19:56] | In the course of your practice,did you treat ann harris rivers? | 你执业期间 是否治疗过Ann Harris Rivers? |
[20:01] | I did. | 是的 |
[20:02] | Without revealing content,did she discuss her marriage? | 不用泄露内容的前提下 请告诉我们 她有说过她婚姻的事情么? |
[20:06] | She did. | 说过 |
[20:07] | Uh,perhaps you want to stop there. | 也许你该到此为止 |
[20:09] | I could. But you struck me as a very principled man. | 是的 但是你让我觉得 你是个很有原则的人 |
[20:12] | – And the idea of an innocent man going to prison- – objection. | – 而且要让一个清白的人进监狱的话 – 反对 |
[20:15] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[20:16] | Doctor,did mrs. Rivers ever discuss my client joseph washington? | 医生 Rivers夫人和你提到 我当事人Joseph Washington吗? |
[20:21] | She did. | 是的 |
[20:26] | And what did she say? | 而她说了什么? |
[20:27] | Your honor,she’s asking the witness to break privilege. | 法官大人 她要证人 打破保密条例 |
[20:30] | The patient is dead. Privilege can be waived. | 病人已经死了 保密条例可取消 |
[20:32] | I’ll allow the question. | 我允许问这个问题 |
[20:33] | Doctor,what did mrs. Rivers tell you about my client joseph washington? | 医生 Rivers夫人告诉你 Joseph Washington的什么事情 |
[20:40] | Please answer the question,doctor. | 请回答这个问题 医生 |
[20:43] | She said that she and mr. Washington were lovers. | 她说她和Washington先生是情人 |
[20:57] | I have no further questions. | 我没有其他问题了 |
[21:04] | I didn’t proposition her. I merely asked her to sleep with me. | 我又没建议她 我只是要求她和我上床 |
[21:06] | Denny,how would you feel if i asked shirley to sleep with me? | Denny 如果我要Shirley和我上床 你会是什么感受? |
[21:09] | Well,uh,shirley is the great love of my life. | Shirley 是我一生的最爱 |
[21:12] | Lorraine is somebody you rode in an elevator. | Lorraine只是 你在电梯里大搞特搞的女人 |
[21:14] | Oh,no,no,no. She’s much,much. | 不不不不 她不止不止 |
[21:18] | I don’t want you coming on to her. | 我不希望你去挑逗她 |
[21:20] | Oh,great. | 好吧 |
[21:23] | How’s gloria? | Gloria最近怎样? |
[21:25] | I’m not talking about gloria. I am. | – 我不要谈Gloria – 我要 |
[21:27] | When are you gonna tell her you really love lorraine? | 你什么时候打算告诉她 你真爱的是Lorraine? |
[21:29] | Lorraine was an affair. | Lorraine是段地下情罢了 |
[21:32] | There’s a big difference between that and a committed relationship. | 这和正式交往有大不同了 |
[21:36] | Yes. Affairs usually last longer. | 是的 地下情一般更持久 |
[21:38] | – Oh,and now who’s the cynic? – I am. | – 看看现在谁才是愤世嫉俗的人? – 我是啊 |
[21:40] | You’re the romantic. You love lorraine. | 你是浪漫主义者 你爱Lorraine |
[21:41] | I do not love– excuse me. | – 我才不爱– – 打扰一下 |
[21:45] | You–you said you wanted to see me. | 你–你说你想见我 |
[21:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[21:49] | Denny was ju leaving. | Denny刚好要出去 |
[21:51] | – No,I wasn’T. – Yes,you were. | – 没啊 我没有 – 是的 你就是 |
[21:55] | Big kahuna. Name on the door. | 门上可要写上 “暗礁四伏” (电影的名字) |
[22:12] | Katie | katie. |
[22:13] | on the heels of the therapist’s testimony, | 在听过心理医生的证词之后 |
[22:17] | I think you may have enough for reasonable doubt. | 我认为你有足够证据 提出”合理怀疑” |
[22:20] | Really? | 是吗? |
[22:21] | You may. | 是的 |
[22:23] | The question obviously is. | 现在的问题是 |
[22:26] | whether to call joseph to the stand. | 是否让Joseph出庭作证 |
[22:28] | He’s the only one who can explain the confession. | 他是唯一能解释为什么认罪的人 |
[22:30] | True,but once he gets in that chair,the floodgates open on his priors, | 是的 但是一旦他去作证 他过去犯罪记录就会潮水般涌来 |
[22:34] | which is why my gut says don’t call him. | 这就是为什么我的直觉 告诉我不要让他作证 |
[22:36] | My gut says otherwise. | 但是我的直觉却的正好相反 |
[22:40] | I beg your pardon. | 对不起 |
[22:41] | Katie,he doesn’t have the most. | Katie 他的举止 |
[22:43] | pleasant demeanor. | 并不讨好 |
[22:49] | When I first laid eyes on him,I saw a beast. | 我第一眼看见他的时候 我看到的是一头野兽 |
[22:54] | That may very well be what the jursaw | 陪审团可能也这么看他 |
[22:57] | and–and perhaps still sees. | 而且…而且可能仍旧这么看他 |
[23:01] | But when I listened to him, | 但是当我听他诉说 |
[23:03] | when I talked to him, | 当我和他谈话 |
[23:06] | I got a glimpse of his humanity. | 我看到了他人性的一面 |
[23:09] | and believe it or not,his gentility. | 信不信由你 他很有风度 |
[23:14] | I’d like to afford the jury that glimpse. | 我想让陪审团也看到他的这一面 |
[23:18] | I’d like them to see how deeply,deeply human this man is. | 我要让他们认识到 这个男人是多么的有人性 |
[23:25] | You really think you’ve got an innocent man here. | 你真的认为他是清白的 |
[23:29] | I know I do. | 我确信 |
[23:33] | Then call him to the stand. | 那就让他出庭作证吧 |
[23:42] | The affair had to be very secret. | 我们的关系必须要极其保密 |
[23:44] | She didn’t want anybody to find out. | 她不想让任何人发现 |
[23:46] | We always met at her apartment. | 我们一直在她的公寓见面 |
[23:48] | On the evening of her death,you were there. | 她死的那天晚上 你去过公寓 |
[23:50] | I arrived just before 5:00 and left a little before 6:00. | 我刚好在5点之前到公寓 在快6点的时候离开 |
[23:53] | And what happened whilst you were there? | 你在那儿的时候发生了什么? |
[23:56] | We were intimate. | 我们在幽会 |
[23:58] | You made love. | 你们做爱了 |
[23:59] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:00] | Mr.Washington,after her death,the police arrested you,and you confessed to this crime. | Washington先生 她死后警察逮捕了你 而你承认了罪行 |
[24:04] | Can you tell us why? | 你能告诉我们为什么吗? |
[24:05] | The lice kicked in my door,told me I did it,put me in a room, | 警察闯进我家 说我杀了人 把我关进一个房间里 |
[24:10] | and then after keeping me awake for two days, | 他们连续两天让我一直醒着 |
[24:13] | making me drink coffee,not letting me sleep– | 给我喝咖啡 不让我睡觉…… |
[24:15] | did you tell them that you and the victim were lovers? | 你告诉他们你和 受害人是情人了吗? |
[24:17] | They didn’t want to hear none of that. | 他们根本不想听这些 |
[24:19] | They kept saying that they were not gonna let me out of that room until I said I did it. | 他们一直说只要我承认是我做的 就放我出去 |
[24:24] | Finally,I. | 最终 我… |
[24:27] | I just gave up. | 我放弃了 |
[24:29] | You know,they had their minds all made up,and I just wanted them to leave me alone. | 你知道 他们已经认定是我干的了 我只想让他们放过我 |
[24:33] | So I said,”whatever.” | 所以我说”随便你们了” |
[24:35] | Then they gave me a lawyer,and he didn’t want to hear the truth either. | 然后他们给我找了个律师 他也不想知道真相 |
[24:38] | He just wanted me to plead guilty so he could be done with it. | 他只想让我认罪 这样他就可以收工了 |
[24:41] | Same with the lawyer after him and the lawyer after him. | 他之后的律师也是这样 再之后的也是 |
[24:44] | So you confessed to something you did not do. | 就是说你承认了 你根本没有犯的罪 |
[24:47] | I confessed to something I did not do. | 我承认了我根本没有犯的罪 |
[24:52] | Mr.Washington,you were convicted of rape in 1985? | Washington先生 你在1985年曾被判有强奸罪? |
[24:55] | Date rape. | 约会强奸 |
[24:56] | And I was innocent. | 我是清白的 |
[24:57] | I– you were convicted? Yes or no? | – 我…… – 你被判有罪 是或否? |
[25:00] | I’d like to explain. | 我想解释清楚 |
[25:01] | Go ahead. | 请 |
[25:03] | She was 16. | 她当时16岁 |
[25:05] | I was 17. | 我17 |
[25:06] | She was my girlfriend,and she was white. | 她是我女朋友 而且她是白人 |
[25:09] | Her father. | 她父亲 |
[25:11] | walked in on us. | 走了进来 |
[25:14] | while we. | 正好撞见我们在…… |
[25:16] | she. | 她…… |
[25:17] | she claimed that I raped her,but I did not. | 她说是我强奸她的 但是我没有 |
[25:20] | So you were convicted of rape in 1985. | 那么你确实在1985年 被判有强奸罪 |
[25:23] | You were convicted of armed robbery in 1989? | 你在1989年被判有持枪抢劫罪? |
[25:26] | I was a drug addict back then. | 当时我有毒瘾 |
[25:27] | You were convicted of armed robbery,yes or no? | 你在1989年被判有持枪抢劫罪 是或否? |
[25:30] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:31] | You were convicted of aggravated assault in 1991. | 你在1991年被判 威胁侵犯他人身体罪 |
[25:34] | I was attacked in prison. | 我在监狱里受到了攻击 |
[25:35] | I fought back. | 我只是自卫反击 |
[25:36] | So you were not at fault in any of these arrests? | 就是说你在这些案件里 你并非被误判? |
[25:41] | How did mrs.Rivers’ blood get on your locker? | 你的储物柜上 怎么会有Rivers太太的血? |
[25:44] | Someone put it there. | 有人弄上去的 |
[25:46] | I-I was framed. | 我…我是被陷害的 |
[25:47] | Really? There were only microscopic traces. | 是吗?血迹通过显微镜才能看到 |
[25:49] | If someone had wanted to frame you, | 如果有人想要陷害你 |
[25:50] | shouldn’t it be visible to the naked eye? | 不是应该弄得肉眼也能看到吗? |
[25:52] | Whoever did it was smart. | 不管是谁要陷害我 他很精明 |
[25:54] | Got it. | 了解了 |
[25:55] | So. | 那么 |
[25:56] | in review– didn’t do this one,you were framed. | 回顾一下 你没杀人 你是被陷害的 |
[25:59] | You didn’t commit the rape. | 你没有强奸 |
[26:00] | The victim made it up. | 受害人假装的 |
[26:01] | As for the robbery,you were on drugs. | 抢劫是因为你磕了药 |
[26:03] | Aggravated assault– self-defense. | 人身侵犯是自卫 |
[26:05] | I loved ann rivers. | 我爱Ann Rivers |
[26:06] | Move to strike. | 因爱成恨 |
[26:07] | Oh,you don’t want to hear that. | 噢 你可不想听到这个 |
[26:08] | – Your honor- – mr.Washington,there’s no– | – 法官大人 – Washington先生 没有… |
[26:09] | the police didn’t want to hear that. | 警察也不想听到这个 |
[26:10] | All anybody wants to hear is that I killed her. | 所有人都只想听我承认杀了她 |
[26:13] | Well,I did not kill her. | 我没有杀她 |
[26:15] | And I don’t care if everybody’s mind is made up. | 我不在乎 你们是不是认定是我干的 |
[26:17] | I did not take this woman’s life! | 我没有夺走这个女人的性命! |
[26:19] | Joseph | Joseph. |
[26:27] | I am innocent of this crime. | 我并未犯下这项罪行 |
[26:54] | Lorraine | Lorraine. |
[26:55] | Getting settled okay? | 都安顿好了? |
[26:56] | I am.Thank you. | 是的 谢谢 |
[26:57] | Finding everything okay? | 觉得一切都还好? |
[27:00] | Finding denny okay? | 觉得Denny没什么吧? |
[27:01] | Denny seems to keep finding me. | Denny总是来找我 |
[27:04] | I’ll speak to him. | 我会让他注意的 |
[27:05] | Sure. | 好的 |
[27:19] | Anything else? | 还有什么事吗? |
[27:40] | Jerry | Jerry. |
[27:44] | it’s almost midnight. | 已经快半夜了 |
[27:47] | I’m visualizing my closing. | 我正在给自己想造型 |
[27:54] | You ready? | 想好了吗? |
[27:58] | I’m thinking of using the wooden cigarette. | 我在考虑用木制香烟 |
[28:02] | I’m not sure without it. | 没有它我就心神不定 |
[28:04] | Well,you’re very good with the cigarette prop. | 有了这根假烟 你表现不错 |
[28:11] | But I think you’re at your. | 但是我认为你…你… |
[28:13] | best when you. | 你在按照自己方式说话的时候 |
[28:16] | speak as yourself. | 才是状态最好的时候 |
[28:23] | You need to be at your best tomorrow,jerry. | 你明天要做出最好的表现 Jerry |
[28:26] | You’re not going to win this with razzle-dazzle. | 你不能靠玩花样来赢官司 |
[28:31] | Speak to them from your heart. | 你要发自内心的和他们对话 |
[28:40] | Do you believe in your client? | 你相信你的当事人吗? |
[28:42] | I do. | 相信 |
[28:44] | I really do. | 我真的相信 |
[28:45] | Well,then tomorrow,you simply need to believe in yourself. | 那么 明天你只要相信你自己就好了 |
[29:05] | You were wrong with shirley. | 你对Shirley说的那些是错的 |
[29:07] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[29:10] | I think you would make a wonderful father. | 我认为你会成为一个好父亲 |
[29:13] | I can’t imagine a better parent to lead the way. | 我想象不出比你更好的父亲 来指引孩子了 |
[29:22] | Thank you,jerry. | 谢谢你 Jerry |
[29:45] | I guess if we were to accept mr.Washington at his word, | 我想如果我们相信 Washington的证词 |
[29:49] | he would be the most unlucky guy I know. | 那他可就是我认识的最倒霉的人 |
[29:53] | Dating a girl in high school,she accuses him of rape so she wouldn’t get in trouble with her dad. | 在高中和女友约会 女友为了避免惹老爸生气告他强奸 |
[29:57] | That’s unlucky. | 那是很倒霉 |
[29:59] | Becomes a drug addict,can’t feed his habit unless he robs someone. | 染上毒隐 为了有钱磕药 不得不去抢劫 |
[30:03] | Bad break there. | 又是运气差 |
[30:04] | In prison,he’s forced to split a man’s head open. | 在监狱里 他又不得不把 一个男人的脑袋打开花 |
[30:08] | Another unfortunate bounce. | 另一个不幸遭遇 |
[30:11] | Then the woman committing adultery with him just happens to turn up dead, | 和他通奸的女人刚好被杀 |
[30:14] | and she gets killed around the same time that he’s in her apartment having either consensual or nonconsensual sex with her. | 正好就在他们不论是自愿 还是强迫的的性交之后 |
[30:22] | Could he be any more cursed? | 他还能再倒霉点吗? |
[30:25] | Well,actually. | 事实上 |
[30:27] | I guess so. | 还能 |
[30:29] | Traces of her blood were found on his locker. | 在他的储物柜上发现了她的血迹 |
[30:33] | Now what are the odds of that? | 到底奇怪在什么地方呢? |
[30:35] | Now with all this bad luck working against him, | 在他遇到这么多霉运之后 |
[30:37] | this sure would be the wrong time to confess to something he didn’t really do,wouldn’t it? | 肯定不该在这个时候承认 自己未犯的罪行 不是吗? |
[30:43] | Now how pathetic. | 现在他们多么可悲 |
[30:45] | how desperate that they stoop to accusing the victim’s grieving widower? | 多么丧心病狂 竟然卑劣的转而指控 受害人那饱受痛苦的鳏夫 |
[30:50] | But I guess that falls in line with the rest of their logic,doesn’t it? | 但是我猜这种做法也和他们的那些 逻辑是一致的 不是吗? |
[30:53] | I mean,it’s not the man with the violent,criminal past who was last seen with her,no. | 凶手不是有暴力倾向 前科满满 并最后一个与死者接触的男人 |
[30:58] | It was the man with no criminal reco,the one with no motive,the one who cures cancer for a living. | 而成了这位无前科 无动机 而又以治愈癌症为生的男士? |
[31:04] | We just arrested joseph washington because we’re evil. | 我们逮捕Joseph Washington因为 我们邪恶 |
[31:09] | Now you need to go into that room and decide who is evil. | 现在你们需要走进那个房间 决定谁才是邪恶的一方 |
[31:13] | Mr.Washington isn’t here today because he’s a little down on his luck. | Washington先生今天在这儿 不是因为他倒霉 |
[31:18] | He. | 他 |
[31:19] | committed. | 犯下了 |
[31:21] | murder. | 谋杀罪 |
[31:25] | The fact is,while the police and the prosecution were maintaining rape, | 事实是 当警方和控方坚持 强奸罪行的存在时 |
[31:29] | while they summarily dismissed the notion of my client and the victim being lovers,they were. | 他们忽略了我的当事人和受害人是情人 关系的这一事实 他们确实是 |
[31:36] | Ms.Rivers’ therapist confirmed what joseph washington had been saying all along, | Rivers太太的主治医生可以证实 Joseph Washington一直在重申的话 |
[31:39] | what the police refused to so much as consider. | 而警方一直拒绝考虑这一点 |
[31:44] | The fact is,my client was not the only person there at the time of the murder. | 事实上 我的当事人并不是案发时 唯一在现场的人 |
[31:50] | Dr.Rivers was there. | Rivers医生也在 |
[31:52] | The fact is,he entered the building 40 minutes prior to my client leaving. | 事实是 他在我的当事人离开前40分钟 就进入了公寓大楼 |
[31:56] | He says he remained in his car dictating some notes. | 他说他留在车里 纪录笔记 |
[31:58] | Perhaps he was biding his ti,waiting for the man he knew to be having an affair with his wife to leave. | 或许他是在等待时机 等待那个和自己 妻子有染的男人离开 |
[32:04] | Mr.Chase maintains dr.Rivers had no motive. | Chase先生坚持说 Rivers先生没有杀人动机 |
[32:07] | That simply is not true. | 那根本不是事实 |
[32:09] | If he knew his wife was being unfaithful,that’s motive. | 如果他知道妻子对自己不忠 就足以构成动机 |
[32:14] | The fact is,dr.Rivers never told the police | 实际上Rivers先生 从来没有告诉过警察 |
[32:17] | he’d been waiting inside the building for almost 40 minutes. | 他在大楼里等了足足40分钟 |
[32:19] | He never told anybody. | 他没告诉任何人 |
[32:20] | We discovered that by looking at security tapes. | 是我们看监控录像发现的 |
[32:22] | The fact is,he lied. | 事实就是 他说谎 |
[32:25] | He admitted lying to us when wquestioned him about joseph washington. | 在问他关于Joseph Washington的问题时 他承认自己撒了谎 |
[32:28] | The fact is,the prosecution cannot rule him out as the killer. | 事实就是 诉讼方无法排除他是杀手的可能 |
[32:32] | The fact is,as detective berenson testified, | 事实就是 正如Berenson警探的证词 |
[32:34] | they never investigated anybody other than my client because they simply presumed joseph washington guilty. | 警方没有调查除我当事人以外的任何人 因为他们认定Joseph Washington有罪 |
[32:42] | The police,the prosecution, | 警方 诉讼方 |
[32:43] | they’re human,and they make mistakes. | 他们也是人 他们也犯错误 |
[32:49] | They made one here. | 在这他们就犯了一个 |
[32:53] | Now in order to gain a conviction,the prosecution must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. | 如果控方要让被告被判有罪 必须要排除合理疑问 证明其有罪 |
[33:01] | That’s a very high standard,one we hold dear, | 这是非常高的标准 也正是我们向来恪守的标准 |
[33:04] | one we set because we know once we start allowing people to be convicted with less, | 我们设立这个标准 是因为 一旦我们降低标准 任由人们被定罪 |
[33:10] | it doesn’t simply make prison more likely for the guilty, | 监狱里关着的人不只是罪犯 |
[33:14] | but the innocent as well. | 也关进了清白的人 |
[33:17] | And the idea of an innocent man losing his life for something he did not do. | 想想看 一个无辜的人要为他 没做过的事而失去生活 |
[33:23] | we have such an innocent man here today. | 今天我们这就坐着一位清白的男人 |
[33:26] | Many of us went to law school for this very privilege, | 许多人去念法学院都 憧憬着这样一个特权 |
[33:30] | to at least once stand up in court for the innocent man. | 就是哪一天能在法庭上 为无辜的人伸张正义 |
[33:38] | It is my heartfelt privilege to be representing joseph washington today. | 我真心的感到 今天能在这里为 Joseph Washington辩护是我的荣幸 |
[33:45] | And even if you should be so inclined as to simply presume his guilt, | 就算你们已倾向于判他有罪 |
[33:48] | as does the prosecution,you must admit reasonable doubt exists. | 就像诉讼方认定的那样 你们必须承认合理疑点的存在 |
[33:55] | Another man was there at the time,a man who had motive, | 与此同时 这还有一个人 一个有杀人动机的人 |
[33:59] | a man who wasn’t totally forthcoming with the police, | 一个并未完全向警方坦白的男人 |
[34:02] | a man who admittedly lied to us, | 一个承认向我们说谎的人 |
[34:04] | a man who waited in his car until joseph washington left. | 一个在车里等到Joseph Washington 离开的人 |
[34:09] | You simply cannot deny reasonable doubt exists. | 你们就是不能否认 合理疑点的存在 |
[34:48] | Some closing from your friend. | 你朋友的结案陈词很震撼 |
[34:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[35:06] | I can’t have a child with you,gloria. | 我不能和你生孩子 Gloria |
[35:21] | okay. | 好吧 |
[35:24] | Every woman I have ever loved,I have stopped loving. | 我爱过的每个女人 我都不再爱了 |
[35:30] | But with a child,I think I’d probably endeavor to stay. | 但是有了个孩子 我会尽力安定下来 |
[35:33] | And with each ensuing day,I would become. | 随着日子周而复始一天天过去 我会变得 |
[35:38] | less and less. | 越来越 越来越 |
[35:41] | myself. | 不像我自己 |
[35:52] | Good-bye,alan. | 再见 Alan |
[36:01] | Good-bye. | 再见 |
[36:25] | So how long does it usually take? | 通常这需要多久? |
[36:27] | It can vary. | 时间不等 |
[36:30] | Whatever happens. | 不论结果怎样 |
[36:33] | I want to thank you,the both of you. | 我都要谢谢你们两个 |
[36:36] | Not long ago,I had given up on the idea of anybody believing me,believing in me. | 不久前 我已经丧失了 别人会相信我 对我有信心的这个念头 |
[36:50] | they’ve reached a verdict. | 他们要宣判了 |
[36:52] | – What? – It’s been 30 minutes. | – 什么? – 才30分钟 |
[36:56] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[37:04] | Let me warn everybody this room. | 我首先要警告每个人 |
[37:06] | I will tolerate no disruption following the reading of the verdict. | 宣读判决之后 我不容许法庭出现任何混乱场面 |
[37:11] | This verdict is unanimous? | 判决达成一致? |
[37:14] | It is. | 是的 |
[37:16] | The defendant will please rise. | 辩护方请起立 |
[37:18] | I shall remind everybody there are two counts. | 我提醒大家 总共有两项指控 |
[37:21] | Until the foreman renders the verdict on both counts, | 在陪审员把两项判决都宣布之前 |
[37:24] | let neither side celebrate prematurely. | 请控辨双方不要过早的庆祝 |
[37:29] | Mr.Foreman,hat say you? | 陪审员先生 你们的判决是? |
[37:31] | Inhe matter of the commonweth of massachusetts vs. | 在马萨诸塞州 |
[37:33] | Joseph washington on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 对Joseph washington以一级谋杀 的罪名指控中 |
[37:36] | we the jury find the defendant. | 陪审团判定被告 |
[37:40] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[37:42] | in the matter of the commonwealth vs. | 在马萨诸塞州 |
[37:43] | Joseph washington on t charge of murder in the second degree,we find the defendant. | 对Joseph Washington以二级谋杀 的罪名指控中 陪审团判定被告 |
[37:49] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[37:55] | members of the jury,this concludes your service. | 陪审团成员们 你们完成了使命 |
[37:58] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告无罪释放 |
[38:01] | We’re adjourned. | 退庭 |
[38:04] | Congratulations,katie. | 恭喜 Katie |
[38:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[38:06] | Well done,jerry. | 干得漂亮 Jerry |
[38:17] | Joseph,did you hear the last part? | Joseph 你听到最后那部分了吗? |
[38:19] | You’re free to go. | 你自由了 |
[38:20] | It’s over? | 结束了? |
[38:21] | Just in time,’cause I’m about to vomit. | 太及时了 我快要吐了 |
[38:25] | thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[38:28] | Ank you so much. | 太感谢你了 |
[38:32] | give us a moment.What is it with you leeches? | 让我们喘口气 成不 你们这些粘住人不放的家伙? |
[38:35] | Did you crowd scooter like this? | 你们想这样就走掉? |
[38:36] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[38:37] | But I’d appreciate it if you didn’t leave the jurisdiction,okay? | 请你不要离开司法管辖区域 |
[38:40] | – For god sake. – Haven’t we been through enough? | – 看在上帝的分上 – 我们受的罪还不够多吗? |
[38:45] | Is that a problem? | 这么做有问题吗? |
[38:47] | No. | 没有 |
[39:11] | I can’t believe they won. | 我真不敢相信他们赢了 |
[39:14] | Denny,you should’ve seen jerry. | Denny你应该看看Jerry的表现 |
[39:15] | He was brilliant. | 他太出色了 |
[39:17] | So was the new girl. | 新来的女孩也是 |
[39:21] | you and gloria leave it as friends? | 你和Gloria做朋友草草了事? |
[39:26] | No. | 不 |
[39:29] | It’s sad,how you go from intimacy to nothing,cold turkey. | 真令人难过 你们怎么能从 亲密无间突然转为漠然相对 |
[39:35] | I mean,how many people along the way have true meaning in your life? | 我是说 人生中有多少个 让你念念不忘? |
[39:39] | And to suddenly have no contact after. | 却又突然间音讯全无的知己? |
[39:47] | it’s sad. | 真凄惨 |
[39:51] | Alan | Alan. |
[39:53] | maybe lorraine is here for a reason. | 或许Lorraine来这儿是有理由的 |
[39:57] | I’m not going there. | 我和她不可能的 |
[39:58] | Not a chance. | 绝对不可能 |
[39:59] | I was thinking I was the reason. | 我在想我就是那个理由 |
[40:05] | I don’t like this dibs thing. | 我讨厌什么先来后到的 |
[40:07] | There’s gotta be a statute of limitations on– | 应该有个条例限制一下… |
[40:09] | there isn’T. | 根本没有 |
[40:12] | You have my word. | 我保证 |
[40:13] | I’ll never frolic with bev or bethany. | 我永远不会和Bev或者Bethany乱搞 |
[40:16] | Or shirley. | 或者Shirley |
[40:18] | Shirley’s involved. | Shirley有主了 |
[40:22] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么? |
[40:24] | Don’t you ever wonder what carl sack’s reason for being here is? | 你从来没想过Carl Sack 来这儿的理由是什么吗? |
[40:32] | Shirley | Shirley. |
[40:33] | and carl sack? | 和Carl Sack一起? |
[40:35] | I’d put money on it. | 我可以和你打赌 |
[40:38] | I’d shoot him. | 我要杀了他 |
[40:40] | You really think? | 你确定? |
[40:42] | I do. | 确定 |
[40:46] | I don’t think I can handle that. | 我想我接受不了 |
[40:51] | I.still love her. | 我…还爱她 |
[40:55] | And in my heart,I-I-I. | 在我心中我…我…我… |
[40:58] | I still believe she’s the one. | 我仍然相信 她就是我命中注定的另一半 |
[41:02] | After five or six wives– whatever the. | 你都有过5…6个老婆 |
[41:07] | count– you still believe in “the one”? | 无所谓多少个了 你还相信什么”命中注定”? |
[41:13] | That’s the only belief that really matters. | 对我来说这是唯一重要的信仰 |
[41:20] | Shirley | Shirley. |
[41:23] | and carl sack. | 和Carl Sack |
[41:27] | Maybe she’s using ca sack to get over me. | 或许她是在利用Carl Sack忘记我 |
[41:31] | Must be that. | 肯定是这样的 |
[41:38] | Love is an ugly business,my friend,ugly business. | 爱情这档子事太险恶 老友 太险恶 |
[41:43] | and yet we live for it. | 但是我们却靠它活着 |
[41:47] | Well,as you say,maybe it’s thenly thing that really matters. | 像你说的那样 也许它是唯一重要的事了 |
[41:53] | Ugly business. | 险恶的爱情 |