时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on ‘Boston Legal’ – Your honor, recuse herself. – Yes, Alan. | …法官大人,拯救她自己. 是阿, Alan. |
[00:02] | And the wheels of justice would grind to a halt | 司法就是这么轻易的被玩弄 |
[00:04] | if we recuse every jurist you’ve slept with | 每当跟你有过一腿的 女人需要上法庭时,你就玩弄一次司法. |
[00:07] | I’m ready to be disciplined now, | 我已经准备好以身试”法”. |
[00:08] | I’m gonna hate myself in the morning. | 我明天肯定会恨死我自己. |
[00:26] | I want to see a name partner, like. | 我想要见一个招牌上留名的董事,像是.. |
[00:30] | Crane’s probably dead. | 叫做Crane的大概死了… |
[00:32] | Schmidt’s some kind of minority, so, uh, Poole. | Schmidt听上去有点无力那就, Poole吧. |
[00:34] | I’ll take Poole. | 我选Poole. |
[00:35] | Denny Crane, still alive. | Denny Crane,还活得好好的. |
[00:37] | I was told your firm is the best. I need the best. | 我听说你们是 最好的法律顾问公司,我需要最好的 |
[00:39] | That would be me. Who are you? | 那就是俺啦!你是哪根葱?? |
[00:41] | Simon Griffin. Don’t worry. | 别担心. Simon Griffin. |
[00:42] | That name will soon be embedded in your head forever, | 过不久我的名子将永留青史, |
[00:45] | like Jonas Salk or Paris Hilton. | 就像是Jonas Salk或者Paris Hilton. |
[00:47] | Can’t wait. | 真是等不及了. |
[00:48] | I had HIV. | 我有爱滋. |
[00:49] | I beat it. I’m a walking AIDS cure. | 我战胜了它. 我是一个会走路的爱滋万能药. |
[00:53] | Now I want to cash in, hmm? | 现在,我想狠狠的大捞一票 |
[00:56] | Is this for real? | 这是真的吗? |
[00:57] | I tested HIV positive for the first time in 2005 | 我在2005年的时候检验出来有爱滋 |
[01:00] | and then once a month the year after. | 之后我每个月都去检查一次. |
[01:02] | I just didn’t want to accept a death sentence. | 因为我没办法接受就这样死去. |
[01:05] | I kept thinking a miracle would happen. | 我一直在想一定会有奇迹发生的. |
[01:07] | And then, 3 months ago, it did. | 结果三个月前就真的发生了. |
[01:09] | I went negative. | 检验出来是阴性. |
[01:12] | – You’ve had that rechecked? – Every other week since. | 你有复诊过吗? 每个礼拜都去. |
[01:14] | Dr Freemont, Dr. Freemont, my internist, just confirmed I’m spontaneously cured. | 我的医生,他判定我的确是不治而愈. |
[01:18] | Actually, I’ve heard of spontaneous cures for cancer, | 事实上,我只听过癌症有这种特例, |
[01:21] | – but never for HIV. – You need to keep up. | 但是爱滋~从来没听过. 你得多看新闻. |
[01:23] | I’m the first American whose blood seroconverts without treatment. | 我是北美第一个 没有使用过任何药物治疗而痊愈的病人. |
[01:26] | No medications, nothing. | 什么药都没吃过. |
[01:28] | There’s one other guy in England. | 英国那边也有个一样的家伙. |
[01:30] | In the States, my body is the first to fight off HIV. | 但是在美国,我是第一个案例. |
[01:33] | Assuming you check out, | 即使如此, |
[01:35] | how exactly can our firm help you? | 你有任何法律上的问题吗? |
[01:38] | I need a team to negotiate book deals, TV appearances, | 我需要一个法律团队来 帮我管理书本的出版权,电视形象… |
[01:41] | not to sound materialistic. | 听上去不会太铜臭吧. |
[01:42] | Not to. | 不会.(才有鬼!) |
[01:45] | Shouldn’t you be letting doctors examine you on the chance that, | 你不觉得你应该让医生再检查一下, |
[01:49] | you know, you could help others? Just a thought. | 你知道的, 你可以拯救许多生命?这只是我个人观点啦. |
[01:51] | I’ll get to that. | 我会阿. |
[01:52] | But how I see myself in the big picture is as an ambassador, | 但在那之前,我想要当个大人物, |
[01:56] | someone everybody knows about and probably desires to be like, | 一个大家 都知道而且大家都想成为的大人物, |
[01:59] | somebody who inspires others. | 一个可以激励人心的大人物. |
[02:04] | Mainly, I see myself rich. | 事实上,我觉得我快可以狠狠捞一票了. |
[02:42] | ?F?? Esthero’s “Wikked little grrrls” ?F?? | |
[02:44] | ?F?? wikked little grrrls ?F?? | |
[02:45] | ?F?? with curves and kisses and pearly whites ?F?? | |
[02:48] | ?F?? you better keep an eye on your boys ?F?? | |
[02:49] | ?F?? and lock ’em up tight, tight, tight, tight, tight ?F?? | |
[02:52] | ?F?? you better keep an eye on your boys and lock ’em up tight ?F?? | |
[02:55] | I’m here to see Alan Shore. | 我是来找Alan Shore的. |
[02:57] | Okay, is he expecting you? | Okay,他知道你要前来吗? |
[02:58] | They never expect me. They always see me. | 他们从来不 奢望我会找他们.但是他们总是想见我. |
[03:01] | I’m judge Gloria Weldon. | 我是Gloria Weldon法官. |
[03:02] | Mr. Shore should be in any moment. | Mr Shore马上就到公司了. |
[03:04] | – Would you like to wait? – Thank you. | 您可以稍等一下吗? 谢谢. |
[03:10] | Your honor. | 法官大人.(@@看屁股就能知道!) |
[03:12] | It was a pleasure to see you. | 真是高兴见到你. |
[03:15] | Please. | 请. |
[03:19] | Are you familiar with the Amazonian plants psychotria viridis and banisteriopsis caapi? | 你知道一种亚马逊植物psychotria viridis跟banisteriopsis caapi? |
[03:25] | No. | 不清楚. |
[03:26] | You brew the two together, | 你要是将两种植物当茶泡在一起, |
[03:28] | and you arrive at a tea called hoasca. | 这种茶有个特殊的名子叫Hoasca. |
[03:30] | They call it “the vine of the soul.” | 当地的土著都叫它”灵魂之泉.” |
[03:32] | You get a 2-minute peak followed by a 30-minute brain cruise. | 喝了之后两分钟内就开始情 绪高涨之后的三十分钟脑袋一片空白. |
[03:37] | Also illegal. | 也是非法的. |
[03:38] | After work, I imbibe in my chambers, privately. | 下班之后,我通常会喝一小杯. |
[03:42] | Last Wednesday evening, without my knowledge, | 上个礼拜三晚上, 在我不知道的情况下, |
[03:45] | one of my clerks managed to help himself. | 我的一个助手 很”自动地”泡了一杯来喝. |
[03:48] | He got high as a kite, | 整个”High”到最高点, |
[03:50] | did a naked dance on the courthouse steps. | 在法院里头大跳脱衣舞. |
[03:53] | Caught, scared, he led the police back to me. | 然后就被捕了,警方就循线找到我了. |
[03:56] | I have been arrested for importation and possession of a schedule I narcotic. | 于是我就被以 非法进口管制性植物而逮捕. |
[04:01] | That’s a buzzkill. | 真是让人讶异. |
[04:03] | I love my job, Alan. I’m good at my job. | 我热爱我的工作, Alan.我做得十分出色. |
[04:06] | You have to be creative. | 你得好好想一下. |
[04:08] | Assuming I take the case. | 假如我接下这个案子― |
[04:09] | – You already took the case. – Says who? | 你已经接下来了. 谁说的? |
[04:11] | Says me. I’m the judge. | 我说的. 我是法官我说了算. |
[04:24] | Once we make a deal with a pharmaceutical company, | 在我跟那些大药厂签约之后, |
[04:26] | then I’ll have the resources to launch my new persona as a spokesperson. | 我就有足够的财力 来展开我新的人生,我可以四处演讲. |
[04:30] | Talk shows, reality shows, photo OPs in Africa, | 谈话性节目, 真实性节目,甚至连非洲都会有我的大头照, |
[04:34] | a constant reminder of the message of hope that I represent. | 任何企业或广告如果想 表达出”希望”两个字就肯定会来找我. |
[04:37] | I’m welling up. | 我真想见识看看. |
[04:38] | I can see you’re cynical. We’ll make a good team. | 很会开玩笑.我们会相处得很愉快的. |
[04:43] | Dr Freemont? Dr. Freemont? | |
[04:44] | – Hello, Simon. – You two know each other? | 哈搂, Simon. 你们两个认识吗? |
[04:46] | We know each other quite well, don’t we, Simon? | 我们是老朋友了不是吗, Simon? |
[04:48] | Who is this man, Simon? | 他是谁, Simon? |
[04:50] | My internist. | 我的主治医生. |
[04:52] | Have I got it again? | 我又中奖了吗? |
[04:53] | No, uh, that’s not it. | 不不不,不是这样的. |
[04:56] | Okay, will somebody tell me what the hell is going on here? | ok,谁能跟我解释一下现在是怎样一回事? |
[04:59] | Mr Griffin Mr. Griffin is trying to sell his blood. That can’t happen. | 正企图贩售他的血液,这我们不允许. |
[05:02] | – Why not? – ’cause I own it. | 为什么? 因为我才是所有人. |
[05:05] | You own my blood? | 我的血液是你的财产? |
[05:06] | I applied for a patent on your DNA and I got it, | 我对你的DNA申请了专利权,而且通过了, |
[05:09] | so, yes, I own it. | 所以没错,我才是所有人. |
[05:15] | I go to Newton college. It’s an excellent school. | 我在Newton学院读书,那是间很棒的学校. |
[05:17] | I have no issue with them. | 我对他们没有问题. |
[05:18] | It’s the sorority I belong to, or used to, I should say, | 我想控告的是我的 社团,正确来讲是我以前的社团 |
[05:21] | gamma kappa tau (ΓΚΤ). gamma kappa tau. It’s a national sorority, | 这是个国际性的社团各大学校都有分团, |
[05:23] | and recently, the national officers visited campus | 不久前,他们的国际检察主管来我们学校 |
[05:26] | and conducted some sort of campus survey. | 然后做了一些问卷调查 |
[05:28] | If I start to talk too fast, just tell me. | 如果我讲得太快,请告诉我. |
[05:30] | I tend to speed up towards the middle of paragraphs. | 我下意识的都会想把事情早点交代完. |
[05:32] | It’s fine. | 不要紧. |
[05:33] | Anyways, according to this campus poll, | 反正这不是重点,根据他们的问卷调查, |
[05:35] | the members of gamma kappa tau at Newton were perceived as socially awkward. | 在Newton学院的 ΓΚΤ社团都是给怪胎参加的. |
[05:40] | As a result, the national officer sort of directed the campus chapter | 所以,他们的检察主管决定做一些措施 |
[05:44] | to clean up its image, so to speak. | 来改变形象. |
[05:46] | – Mint? – No, thanks. | 薄荷糖? 不用,谢谢. |
[05:48] | Anyway, we all got interviewed, | 反正,之后我们就参加了个面谈会, |
[05:51] | after which, about half of us were invited to leave, | 之后,超过半数的成员被劝退― |
[05:54] | told to leave, I should say. | 应该说被踢出去. |
[05:56] | Mainly, it was a group of thin, pretty, popular girls who got to stay. | 剩下来的成员 都是那些瘦又漂亮又受欢迎的学生. |
[06:00] | The rest of us got bounced. | 其余的人就只能被一脚踢出去. |
[06:02] | What reason did they give for kicking you out? | 他们有跟你说为什么你被剃除吗? |
[06:05] | They said that we failed to live up to the sorority’s criteria, | 他们只说我不符合会员资格, |
[06:08] | and when I pushed them on it… | 当我不断的逼问之下… |
[06:10] | I can be a little pushy, | ―我可能真的有点太难缠了― |
[06:12] | they added that to my list of offenses, “too pushy.” | 他们竟然在我的 个人档案上写”太死缠烂打” |
[06:17] | I think it’s wrong. | 我觉得这是在羞辱我. |
[06:20] | Can you help me? | 你可以帮我吗? |
[06:23] | I’ll help you. | 我一定会帮你. |
[06:34] | Denise, um, I, I have this, uh… | Denise,我手边的这个文件是… (小俩口吵架了= =) |
[06:53] | Under the law, you’re completely guilty. | 以法律条规来看, 你是完全有罪的.没漏洞可钻. |
[06:56] | I wish I could be more optimistic. | 我希望我能够乐观一点. |
[07:00] | Alan… Alan… | |
[07:02] | do you think I came to you for an interpretation of the law? | 你以为我来找 你是为了找一个法律顾问? |
[07:06] | I hired you ’cause you get people off. | 我雇用你是因为 我知道你常常有些”惊人”的手段. |
[07:09] | I would like you to get me… | 我想要你帮我― |
[07:13] | I know you can come up with something. | 我知道你总是有许多鬼点子的. |
[07:17] | Can we offer any medical reason for you needing to drink this tea? | 你有办法提供任何医疗 上面的证据显示你需要喝这个茶吗? |
[07:24] | Stress? | 压力太大? |
[07:29] | The DA’s immediate boss, um… | 地方检察院的主管..曾经.. |
[07:33] | there’s a possibility that he may be on a little witch hunt. | 很有可能他想要藉题发挥… |
[07:38] | We were once involved, briefly. | 我们曾经短暂地交往过一段时间. |
[07:40] | Now we’re getting somewhere. | 现在各过各的生活. |
[07:42] | It ended poorly? | 结束得不愉快? |
[07:44] | For him. | 他被甩了. |
[07:45] | But he’s not the guy handling this. | 但是这案子不是他经手的. |
[07:47] | The case went to somebody who would love to make a name for himself by nailing… | 这个案子是给一个混仗想要藉由… |
[07:53] | convicting me. | 将我定罪来搏版面抢头条的. |
[07:57] | Denny, this is… | Denny,这是… |
[07:58] | Hello. | 哈?k. |
[07:59] | Judge Weldon. She’s in some legal trouble. | Weldon法官. 她有些问题来请教我. |
[08:02] | We may need to trade on some of your connections. | 我们可能会想听听你的一些意见. |
[08:07] | Yes, now that your legal analysis is out of the way, | 明显的,你已经精虫上脑失去理智了, |
[08:10] | let’s turn to politics. Who do you know in the DA’s office? | 想想看能不能靠关系吧. 地方检察院里面你有认识的吗? |
[08:12] | I know everybody. I’d like to get to know you better. | 我所有的人都认识. 但我更想”深入”的了解你. |
[08:16] | Denny, we have a bit of a situation here. | Denny,我们不是在儿戏. |
[08:21] | Denny? | Denny? |
[08:25] | Denny? | Denny? |
[08:29] | You need to fix this. | 你得解决这事情. |
[08:30] | You people are supposed to be so fancy and good. | 你们这家公司应该 是无所不能不所不利的. |
[08:33] | Uh, from what I can tell, the law is not definitive. | 就从我个人的 认知来讲,你身体的每个部分 |
[08:37] | Anything in your body belongs to you. | 的法定权力都不属于你自己. |
[08:39] | Once it’s excised, the legal status is debatable. | 一但专利通过,你就无法去改变它. |
[08:42] | That’s ridiculous. It’s my blood. | 这太愚蠢了吧!这是我自己的血. |
[08:44] | Yes, but Dr. Freemont has a patent on the DNA. | 是的但是Dr Freemont有你的DNA的专利. |
[08:47] | It’s my blood. | 这是我的血. |
[08:49] | God knows I’m the one who had to suffer with it. | 天知道,我当初是如何受苦受难的. |
[08:51] | Why can’t I be the one who… | 凭什么我不能靠它.. |
[08:54] | Go ahead, you can say it. “Profits.” | 说阿,说大声点! 说:”为什么不能靠他狠捞一票” |
[08:56] | The pharmaceutical companies think that’s a lovely word. | 那些各大制药厂商 都觉得那是个讨人喜爱的词. |
[08:59] | What are my options? | 我有什么选择吗? |
[09:01] | Well, first thing, | 这样说吧,第一, |
[09:03] | we could go to court and challenge the doctor’s claim. | 我们可以上法庭去试试看 能不能驳回医生在你身上的专利 |
[09:06] | Although as crazy as it may seem, | 即使这听上去很疯狂, |
[09:08] | public policy may side with him, since he’s in it for the cure, | 大众会站在他那边,因为他不 求利益而选择为人类找爱滋的解药, |
[09:11] | and you, as you say, mainly just want to be rich. | 而你,就像你讲的.只想赚钱而已. |
[09:20] | For the purposes of this meeting, let me do the talking. | 既然你了解情况了. 那这次的会议请让我来发言就好了. |
[09:23] | Of course. I would never. | 当然.我连个屁都不会放出来. |
[09:25] | Hello, my name is… | Hello,我的名字是― |
[09:29] | You? | 是你? |
[09:32] | Jerry Espenson, Pat Ontario. Good morning. | 早安. Jerry Espenson, Pat Ontario. |
[09:34] | She’s the national president of the sorority gamma kappa tau. | 她是ΓΚΤ社团的国际主席. |
[09:37] | How may we help you? | 我能帮到你什么呢? |
[09:39] | Well… | 这么说吧… |
[09:41] | your client or an agent thereof | 你的客户, |
[09:45] | expelled my client for being socially awkward. | 因为觉得我的客户的 社交形象不够好而让她滚蛋. |
[09:48] | Uh, that’s not exactly true. | 喔,你这么说就错了. |
[09:49] | Pat. That allegation is without basis. | Pat.这种论调是没有根据的. |
[09:52] | I’m sorry, but leaving the merits aside, | 抱歉,撇开这个不谈, |
[09:54] | what remedy is your client seeking here? | 你的客户希望能达到什么目的? |
[09:56] | Does she long to become a member of a club that’s not terribly enthusiastic to have her? | 她真的死都想要 进去那间这么排斥她的社团吗?? |
[10:03] | – That was mean. – My intent is only to be pragmatic. | 你讲得太毒了. 我的客户只想要让彼此好过一点. |
[10:05] | Lawsuits are very costly. | 上法院是很贵的. |
[10:07] | I’m just looking to appreciate what it is your client is specifically after. | 我只是会很高兴如果 你的客户可以跟我们达成私下和解. |
[10:14] | $10 million. | 一千万. |
[10:17] | Be serious, please. | 别闹了,认真点. |
[10:19] | $15 million. | 一千五百万. |
[10:21] | Clarence, may I call you Clarence? | Clarence,我可以称呼你Clarence吗? |
[10:23] | 20! | 两千万 |
[10:24] | Let’s go. I’m done. | 走吧.看来谈不下去了. |
[10:26] | You are a mean, mean, mean woman. | 你是个非常非常非常恶毒的女人. |
[10:52] | It seems Denny has struck out with his connections. | 看来Denny的脑袋已经被精虫塞住了. |
[10:55] | Unless I’m making one here. | 除非我立刻在这边将它们”疏通”掉. |
[10:57] | My only play is to convince this district attorney not to bring charges. | 我们唯一的目的 是让地方检察官对此不提出控诉. |
[11:02] | How do you plan to do that? | 你打算怎么做呢? |
[11:03] | Well, you say he’s a political creature. You’re a very influential judge. | 就说他是个政治 狂热分子而你是最好的开刀对像. |
[11:07] | Alan, if these charges stick, I won’t be a judge any longer. | Alan, 如果我真的因此 而被提控,我的职位就保不住了. |
[11:10] | Gloria, I don’t know what else to tell you. | Gloria,我也不知道该讲什么. |
[11:12] | We face a very difficult row here. | 我们的处境真的不太乐观. |
[11:16] | Who else have you slept with? | 你还有跟哪些人有过一腿? |
[11:18] | Didn’t mitt ever want to make you one of his wives? | 我猜Mitt也很想让你成为他的后宫佳丽 |
[11:20] | Okay, that you’ll get letters for. | Okay,对此我不排除对你提诉性骚扰. |
[11:24] | Hold on just a second here. | 等一等. |
[11:26] | You’re saying that man owns that man’s blood? | 你说这个男人 才是这个男人的血液的所有人? |
[11:31] | Not exactly, your honor. | 不完全,法官大人. |
[11:32] | – What is he, a vampire? – Oh, we’re in for an adventure. | 他是个吸血鬼吗?(这老糊涂= =) 喔,看来我们进入了童话世界. |
[11:35] | I heard that! | 我听到了! |
[11:36] | My client got a patent on Mr. Griffin’s blood, which… | 我的客户对于 Mr Griffin的血液申请了专利权― |
[11:39] | Is ridiculous. | 怎么有这么愚蠢的事情. |
[11:41] | Under the law, once someone removes blood or tissue from your body, | 根据相关法令显示, 只要该病人将血液或者组织拿出体外, |
[11:44] | you no longer have legal ownership of it. | 该病人便失去了他的器官的所有权. |
[11:46] | So my client tested it, got a patent… | 当我的客户在为该 病患做检查的时候就申请专利了― |
[11:49] | Now hold on just a second. | 等一等. |
[11:51] | You can’t take his blood without his consent | 你不可以在没经过他的 同意之下对他抽样取血, |
[11:55] | unless you’re the government. | 除非你是政府. |
[11:56] | If this blood is used to find a cure for AIDS, | 如果这个血液是 拿来研发爱滋病的解药的话, |
[11:58] | my client should be entitled to profit participation. | 难道我的客户 不应该分到一些好处吗. |
[12:01] | And the cost of drug research will be so exponentially multiplied, | 对阿这间厂商拿一点,那边厂商拿一点, |
[12:04] | we won’t develop cures for anything. | 最好是这样还有办法研发出任何解药. |
[12:05] | Yes! And then we can all go to the Academy awards | 是啊! 然后我们就可以去参加奥斯卡金像奖 |
[12:08] | and wear new ribbons that say, “let’s save big pharmaceutical.” | 穿着人模人样的大喊: “让我们来拯救各大制药厂吧!” |
[12:11] | Hold on just a second. | 等一等. |
[12:13] | Did this man win an Oscar? | 这个男的赢了奥斯卡奖吗?(= =) |
[12:17] | Judge, this is a very complicated case. | 法官大人,这是一个很复杂的案子. |
[12:21] | He is using my client’s excised blood and tissue. | 他霸占了我的客户的血液以及器官. |
[12:24] | Moreover, he’s basically gotten a patent on the DNA, | 甚至还对他的DNA申请了专利特权, |
[12:27] | Which prevents my client from ever marketing his own blood. | 让我的客户失去了交易他的血液的权力. |
[12:30] | I want to hear from this vampire doctor. | 我想听听那个吸血鬼医生怎么说. |
[12:33] | Get him up on the stand. | 把他叫上来吧. |
[12:43] | How could you, of all people, take this case? | 你自己都这样了竟然接这种案子? |
[12:46] | What’s that supposed to mean, I’m socially awkward? | 什么意思?你是说我的社交能力很差? |
[12:49] | Or does it mean a lawyer should never take a side he doesn’t personally agree with? | 还是你指的是,不管一个律师 喜不喜欢他的客户他还是得接案子? |
[12:52] | That would quite limit the field of opportunity, wouldn’t it? | 如果都只按照我个人喜好那我拿什么吃饭? |
[12:55] | And for a socially awkward lawyer, | 而且做为一个社交能力很差的律师, |
[12:57] | well, he should grab any case he can get, shouldn’t he? | 我更应该来者不拒不是吗? |
[12:59] | I thought you were a nice person. | 我以为你是个好人. |
[13:01] | I am. | 我是. |
[13:04] | Look, my client doesn’t want this kind of publicity. | 听着,我的客户 不希望这事情被摆到台面上. |
[13:07] | Make me a reasonable offer, and let’s go home. | 给我一个合理的数字,我就回家了. |
[13:12] | $50 million. | 五千万. |
[13:27] | Denise? | Denise? |
[13:30] | Thanks for the, uh, antitrust research. It was very helpful. | 谢谢你的防范财务法的报告,非常有用. |
[13:35] | Good. | 很好. |
[13:40] | I couldn’t help but overhear the deafening silence. | 我不难以发觉你们在冷战. |
[13:46] | Is everything all right between you and Brad? | 你跟Brad都还好吗? |
[13:48] | He wants to get married in full military uniform. | 他想要穿着军装结婚. |
[13:51] | He wants us to take our vows with a sword at his side. | 他想要一边 佩着剑一边念着他的结婚誓词. |
[13:56] | Well, if it’s important to him… | 恩,如果他觉得这个很重要的话― |
[13:57] | Paul, The whole country… | 我家人都非常反战.甚至整个国家― Paul, my family is very antiwar. |
[14:03] | prowar or not, it’s a very painful topic, | 支持战争跟反对战争是不能共存的, |
[14:05] | and I don’t want it to cast this huge pall over my wedding ceremony. | 然后我不能够忍受到时候 在我的婚礼上会造成什么样的冲突. |
[14:10] | The country is not antimilitary. | 这个国家时常再扩充军备. |
[14:13] | I know this. But… | 我知道.但是… |
[14:16] | Look, I am proud of Brad being a marine, Paul. I am. | 听着,我非常以Brad 曾经是名海军陆战队为荣,Paul真的. |
[14:22] | But I don’t want a full color guard at my wedding. | 但我不希望在我的婚礼上有任何军人. |
[14:24] | I just, I don’t. | 我就是不想要. |
[14:36] | There are over 350 million tissue samples from 180 million Americans | 这个国家内有超过 三亿五千万的人体组织存样来自于 |
[14:39] | stored in labs and hospitals in this country. | 一亿八千万的美国人的身体,而又 分别收集在各个医疗实验室当中. |
[14:42] | They’ve been used to develop everything | 这些存样,被用来研究跟促进医学进步 |
[14:43] | from the HIV test to vaccines, cancer treatments. | 有研究爱滋的,有研究癌症的.都有!. |
[14:47] | You don’t have to get permission from the patient to use their tissue? | 你不需要病人的同意 就可以使用他们的组织? |
[14:49] | We do. | 我们当然有经过他们同意. |
[14:50] | It’s part of the standardized form you sign when you get medical treatment. | 这是当你愿意接受医疗 之后所必经的公式化的流程. |
[14:53] | He signed that form, by the way. | 顺便一提被告也签名同意了. |
[14:55] | Along with a zillion others you jammed in front of my face. | 那你干么谁都不挑,就挑对我下手. |
[14:57] | Sit down, you. | 你给我坐好. |
[14:59] | Doctor, if Mr. Griffin is allowed to reclaim the rights to his discarded blood and tissue | 医生,如果 Mr.Griffin被允许恢复他的器官使用权 |
[15:05] | and sell them to a pharmaceutical company, | 然后贩卖给那些各大医疗厂商, |
[15:07] | what will happen? | 会造成什么样的结果呢? |
[15:08] | Well, I work under a federal grant, | 这样说吧,我是家公立医院的医生, |
[15:10] | which means any fruits of my work belong to the government. | 我所有的研究报告都属于政府财产. |
[15:12] | The cures we come up with will belong to the public, as they should. | 所以如果我们在爱滋上面有 做出重大研究的化成果也是属于政府的. |
[15:16] | You think this could lead to a cure? | 你觉得能研究出爱滋的解药吗? |
[15:18] | I don’t know. It could. | 我不知道,但是有这个可能性的. |
[15:19] | His blood seroconverted. | 他的血液能转换血清. |
[15:21] | The HIV vanished. That’s only happened once before. | 然后击退爱滋病毒.他是世界上第二个特例. |
[15:24] | If we can find out how… | 如果我们可以找出 血液能自动转换成血清的原因… |
[15:27] | imagine. | 想想看吧. |
[15:28] | Okay, but Mr. Griffin wants to let the research teams | 是的但是Mr Griffin 想要让医疗大厂的研究团队 |
[15:32] | from the pharmaceutical companies figure out how. | 来去做该研究跟开发. |
[15:35] | If the pharmaceutical company does the research, | 如果是被医药厂拿去做研究的话, |
[15:37] | it’ll be a trade secret, | 研究结果是不会被公开的, |
[15:39] | and they won’t have to share with anyone, and they won’t, | 而且他们根本不会想要跟任何人分享, |
[15:41] | not till they get all their patents in place, | 除非他们确定所有病人都会跟他买药, |
[15:43] | and they’ll be able to charge whatever they want. | 这样一来他们想卖多少钱就能卖多少钱. |
[15:45] | It won’t be a nickel a pill. | 肯定不是一般人能负担的起的. |
[15:49] | It’s just not appropriate, Denny. | 你这样做真的很失礼, Denny. |
[15:51] | To privately lust after a woman, fine, | 想要跟一个女人上床,可以接受, |
[15:54] | to send a signal conveying as much, okay, | 努力的想要表达你的”爱”意也ok, |
[15:56] | but growling and clawing at her crosses a line. | 但是像只发春的小狼狗 对人家呜呜叫简直是太过分了. |
[16:00] | But I love this woman. | 但是我很爱这个女的啊! |
[16:01] | I thought you loved Bethany. | 我以为你爱的是Bethany. |
[16:03] | Well, I love this one now. I have a fickle heart. | ㄜ..我换跑道啦!我是个三心二意的人. |
[16:06] | Well, you need to stay away from her. | 这样的话你得离她远一些. |
[16:08] | Why? Give me one good reason. | 凭什么?给我个好理由. |
[16:10] | Okay. Dibs. | OK,先抢先赢 |
[16:13] | But that’s not fair. I growled first. | 你这样说就不对啦.是我先呜呜叫的. |
[16:15] | Hey! I have a prior relationship with her. | 嘿!我之前跟她交往过. |
[16:18] | Prior but not current. | 那是之前不是现在. |
[16:20] | Well… | 这样阿… |
[16:21] | Well, what? | 怎样? |
[16:23] | Maybe I’d like to keep current. | 也许我现在又想要啦. |
[16:30] | You like this woman? | 你喜欢这个女人? |
[16:33] | Well… | 这么说… |
[16:36] | Yes. | 也可以. |
[16:47] | So did you tell Denise why wearing the uniform is important to you? | 你跟Denise说了 为什么你这么想穿军装了吗? |
[16:50] | That’s the whole point. I shouldn’t have to. | 这就是重点!我根本不需要讲啊!. |
[16:52] | The fact that I wanted to, that should be enough. | 就因为”我想要”这理由还不够吗. |
[16:54] | Well, that is not exactly the way marriage works, Brad. | 你想结婚的话 大男人主义是行不通的, Brad. |
[16:56] | – You need to communicate. – I did. | 你们得沟通. 我有阿. |
[16:59] | I told her that I want to wear it. | 我跟她讲了我要穿军装阿. |
[17:01] | No, you need to tell her why. | 这不算!你没跟她说原因阿. |
[17:02] | You need to communicate your feelings. | 你得把你的感受让她知道. |
[17:04] | Look, Paul, I’m not gonna get all girlie, okay? | 听着, Paul,我不是个娘娘腔,ok? |
[17:07] | Oh, dear God, Brad. | 喔我的天阿, Brad. |
[17:09] | If you cannot tell Denise what and how you’re feeling, | 如果你无法跟Denise 讲出你的感受的话, |
[17:12] | you should not be getting married. | 我觉得你们还不够格结婚. |
[17:18] | The same thing supposedly happened at DePaul university. | DePaul大学也同时发生了一样的事情. |
[17:21] | The campus survey said the sisters of gamma kappa tau were considered socially awkward. | 校园内的问卷调查显示, ΓΚΤ内的女生也是不擅长社交活动. |
[17:24] | Apparently “misfit” wasn’t the image the sorority wanted to project. | 很明显的这种形象不是他们所期待的. |
[17:27] | That is exactly what happened with us. | 就像是我们一样. |
[17:29] | You mentioned you pressured them for a specific reason. | 你提到说你一直 逼问他们要他们给你一个原因. |
[17:32] | Yes, they said we failed to fulfill our recruitment duties, | 是的,他们说我没有履行社团成员应尽的职责, |
[17:35] | but nobody in our sorority ever did much in the way of recruiting. | 如果真的要这样算的话, 其它的团员也都没有做到阿. |
[17:38] | What they meant by recruitment was be pretty and popular, | 对他们来讲所为的”职责” 就单纯只是要漂亮跟受欢迎吧, |
[17:40] | so that other girls would want to join. | 所以其它漂亮的女生就会参加. |
[17:41] | Objection. Speculation. Foundation. Argumentative. | 反对.这论掉根本没有根据.有争议性. |
[17:44] | Make up your mind, Jerry! | 脑袋清楚点吧, Jerry! |
[17:48] | The objection is overruled. | 反对无效. |
[17:52] | Thank you, Marcie. | 谢谢你, Marcie. |
[17:54] | I could be wrong, but when one goes about trying to join a sorority, | 我不知道这样想有没有错 ,但是一但有人加入一个社团之后, |
[17:57] | you basically hope the girls there like you enough to invite | 基本上新成员会希望因为该社团喜欢她 |
[17:59] | – you to be a member. Am I right? – I suppose. | 所以才让她加入该社团.对吗? 我猜应该是吧. |
[18:01] | Did you know what the specific criteria were when you initially interviewed? | 你在新生面谈之前 知道该社团的会员要求资格吗? |
[18:05] | No, I, I figured… | 不,我猜― |
[18:07] | They either liked you, or they don’t. | 只取决于他们喜不喜欢你 |
[18:08] | – Right. – And they did. | 是的. 是的,当时他们是喜欢你. |
[18:10] | Now they don’t. | 但是现在不喜欢了. |
[18:12] | They bounced me for being socially off! | 他们把我赶出来是因为我不擅长社交活动 |
[18:15] | – Did anyone say that to you? – I’m not stupid. | 有人这样跟你讲过吗? 我不是笨蛋. |
[18:18] | After the campus survey, they wanted to change their image, so… | 在他们做过问卷调查 之后他们决定改变形象所以― |
[18:20] | What was the image before you initially interviewed, if you know? | 在你参加面谈前 ,你知道他们要求的社团形象吗? |
[18:22] | Well… / That this was a place for the socially off? | 这… 这个社团是一个让那些不懂得 交际应酬的人去的吗? |
[18:25] | No. | 不. |
[18:26] | So when you said “change their image,” | 那你刚才说的”改变形象” |
[18:27] | did you really mean to say “conform with their image”? | 事实上应该只是”重塑形象”?k? |
[18:30] | – I’m confused. – Sit down. | 我完全被你弄糊涂了. 给我坐回去. |
[18:31] | Objection! | 反对! |
[18:33] | You’re objecting to your own question? | 你反对你自己的问题吗? |
[18:34] | He just told me to sit down in a menacing tone. | 他刚才用一种很苛薄的口气叫我坐下. |
[18:39] | – I didn’t hear anything. – Oh, my. | 我什么都没听到.(偏心^^) 喔,我的天阿. |
[18:41] | If you hear voices, they’d never let you into gamma kappa tau. | 如果你对他们有意见, 他们绝对不会让你加入ΓΚΤ. |
[18:53] | Sorry. I have a funny laugh. | 抱歉. 我的笑声很特别. |
[18:57] | They didn’t like that either. | 他们也不喜欢.(废话!) |
[19:02] | – Drop the charges? – Yes. | 要我放弃诉讼? 是的. |
[19:05] | She had a 20-ounce bag of hallucinogens in her chambers. | 在她的房间里面有一包20盎司的兴奋剂. |
[19:09] | It was tea. | 那是一种茶. |
[19:10] | Not to mention, there’s no real proof it was hers. | 更别提说你们根本没证据那是她的东西. |
[19:13] | – I have the confession of the clerk. – That’s it? | 我有她助手的证词. 就这点? |
[19:15] | The linchpin of your case is the naked, hallucinating dancing man | 一个嗑药大跳裸体舞的人 |
[19:19] | who will say just about anything to temper his embarrassment, | 在神智不清之下什么鬼话都说得出来, |
[19:22] | let alone criminal charges. | 尤其是太丢脸想要拖人下水的情况下. |
[19:25] | Are you really gonna challenge this? | 你真的想试试看我的能耐? |
[19:27] | . Look, you’ve had many cases before judge Weldon. | 听着,你跟Weldon法官一起办过不少案子 |
[19:30] | She’s a fair and talented jurist. | 她是一个公正又负有才华的法律工作者. |
[19:32] | In fact, you’ve won many cases before judge Weldon, | 事实上,每当你的案子 是Weldon法官经手的时候,大部分都赢了, |
[19:35] | as you’ve amassed your impressive record, | 根据你以往那种让人印象深刻的纪录, |
[19:38] | which, as I see it, is about one high-profile conviction away from political advancement. | 我对你处理这件事情的态度上来讲 ,我觉得你只是想要藉题发挥来增加曝光率. |
[19:42] | Not about that. | 绝对不是.(放屁) |
[19:43] | Well, here’s what it could be about, | 那我让我再来想想看还有什么可能性, |
[19:45] | and please stop me if you’ve already considered this | 如果你已经想过这些的话就打断我吧 |
[19:47] | and said, “hell, it’s only my career.” | “天啊!我是身不由己啊!这是我的工作” |
[19:50] | A judge with a criminal conviction, | 我得把一个法官抓去定罪, |
[19:52] | one for using hallucinogens no less, presents all kinds of problems. | 一个因为喝了含有兴奋剂成分 的茶叶而搞的世界大乱的法官. |
[19:56] | One might have to wonder, | 或许有人会想, |
[19:58] | was she on the whoopee tea while presiding over previous cases? | 搞不好她在审判前都会喝这种茶叶? |
[20:02] | Imagine all the felons sitting in jail | 想想看那些在监狱的犯人 |
[20:06] | salivating at the chance to overturn their convictions. | 巴不得听到这些消息 ,这样搞不好能够重审甚至无罪释放. |
[20:09] | Quite of few of your convictions, maybe. | 我猜里面有不少你抓进去的犯人吧. |
[20:12] | So much for the impressive record. | 真是让人印象深刻阿. |
[20:15] | But I am a little concerned about your boss. | 但我更想到你的长官. |
[20:20] | You do know he and the judge used to be romantically entwined? | 你知道你的上司跟法官有过一段情吧? |
[20:25] | But who really worries about that, | 但是更值得人注意的是, |
[20:27] | given your larger concern of alienating all those other state court judges, | 你这种举动可能会触怒整个国家的法官, |
[20:32] | who tend to get constipated and vengeful | 我想他们肯定会牢牢记住你的 |
[20:35] | whenever one of their own is targeted? | 谁知道你哪一天会不会把箭头瞄准他们? |
[20:37] | What needs to come first here is principle, | 但是更重要的是个人原则, |
[20:40] | certainly not political pragmatism. | 这跟想玩弄政治手段的肮脏胚子无关. |
[20:43] | If that were in play, we never would have gotten this far, | 只要你行得正做的稳 ,相信没人会对你有偏见的, |
[20:46] | would we? | 不是吗? |
[20:52] | First of all, I signed a stack of papers. | 第一,我的确签了那些文件. |
[20:54] | – I didn’t read any of them. – Why not? | 但我半点都没有读过. 为什么不读? |
[20:56] | Does anybody? | 谁会去读? |
[20:57] | Doctors say, “sign here or we won’t treat you.” | 医生说, “你不签名我们就不治疗.” |
[20:59] | That isn’t duress? | 这不算是胁迫吗? |
[21:00] | Plus, I had just gotten news I was HIV positive. | 加上,我那时又刚发现我得爱滋了. |
[21:03] | I was in total shock. | 我完全是在恐慌的状态之中. |
[21:05] | And if you maintained ownership of your discarded blood and tissue, | 如果今天你可以自由地对 你的器官跟血液想干嘛就干嘛的话, |
[21:08] | what would you do with it? | 你想怎么做? |
[21:09] | I would sell it to a pharmaceutical company | 我会把它们卖给制药商 |
[21:11] | which would likely increase the chances of discovering a cure. | 因为他们比较有能力研发出爱滋的解药. |
[21:14] | Private enterprise versus the government? It’s not even close. | 没搞错吧私人机关根公家机关? 两者资源根本没办法比. |
[21:18] | Look how the government has spent our money. | 看看我们的政府是怎么花钱的. |
[21:20] | Did you take time out to be grateful for this cure? | 你有因为这不治而愈而感谢上天的恩惠吗? |
[21:24] | Or did you immediately phone your accountant? | 或者你发现之后立刻联络你的会计师? |
[21:27] | When was the last time you had a deadly disease? | 你之前有过这种重大疾病过吗? |
[21:30] | I didn’t. | 我没有. |
[21:31] | And I count my blessings. | 我天天都祈祷不会有那么一天. |
[21:32] | Just wonder if you count yours. | 只是我不知道你有没有祷告过. |
[21:35] | If I strike you as having a psychological deficit or two, | 如果我待会说话的口气 像个神经有问题的人或者更甚, |
[21:39] | if I come off as being a little bitter… | 我讲的话越来越毒辣― |
[21:42] | You’re bitter? | 毒辣? |
[21:43] | You just dodged a death sentence. Maybe it’s me, | 那你刚才问候我身体状况的口气又好了. 或许是我的问题吧, |
[21:45] | but I’d think your heart might be instilled by some sense of charity. | 但是我希望在 你心里面某个角落还有点怜悯心. |
[21:48] | Simon. – Charity? – Simon. | 怜悯心? |
[21:50] | Let me tell you something. For 2 years, I was shunned, | 让我告诉你一些事情 ,这两年来我被人家用特殊眼光对待, |
[21:53] | discriminated against, made to feel like a leper. | 被侮辱,我觉得我自己就像是被世界抛弃了. |
[21:55] | Simon. / Do you have any idea how society treats people with HIV? | Simon.你有想过这个 社会是怎么看待爱滋病患的吗? |
[22:00] | It’s not charitable, and if you’re expecting me to… | 我根本不会想拿我的血来做慈善事业 现在你想要我… |
[22:23] | Clarence, how’s your trial with Jerry going? | Clarence,你跟Jerry的案子进行得如何?? |
[22:29] | He’s mean. | 他很狠. |
[22:31] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[22:34] | Jerry Espenson. He’s not a nice person. | 他不是一个好人. Jerry Espenson. |
[22:38] | Maybe he’s just acting how he thinks lawyers should act, but… | 也许他只是在做 一个律师该做的工作但是… |
[22:42] | it’s mean. | 不管,他还是很毒. |
[22:45] | Oh. | 喔. |
[22:48] | Clevant spoke today… | Clevant说话了… |
[22:51] | in court. | 在庭上说话了. |
[22:55] | I didn’t mean to really speak as him. I just… | 我真的不想用他来说话,我只是… |
[23:00] | did. | 还是这样做了. |
[23:01] | I can be tougher as him. | 我要是用他的话可以变得狠一些. |
[23:08] | I have to cross the sorority woman tomorrow. | 我明天要盘问那个社团主管. |
[23:10] | I think I’ll do better as Clevant. | 我觉得要是我用Clevant来讲的话会好一些. |
[23:14] | Clarence, I’m not gonna tell you what to do, | Clarence,我不想叫你怎么做, |
[23:17] | but if you start speaking as Clevant, | 但是万一你开始用Clevant讲话时, |
[23:20] | you could lose credibility with the judge. | 会让法官觉得你前后 态度有差,而失去他对你的好感. |
[23:23] | That won’t serve your client. | 这帮不到你的客户. |
[23:28] | I’m not sure “I” can cross this woman. | 我不确定”我”够不够种去挑战那个女的. |
[23:33] | I think you can. | 我觉得你可以的. |
[23:38] | Clarence… Clarence… | |
[23:41] | I think you can. | 我觉得你可以的. |
[24:07] | Sororities are like any club. | 所谓的社团就像是俱乐部. |
[24:09] | You choose people you want for members. | 主管可以选择他们喜欢的人加入. |
[24:11] | Some of these people, like Ms. Cooper, | 就像是Ms Cooper 有权力去选择她的会员一样, |
[24:13] | had been chosen and were then disinvited. | 总有人会被选上也有些人不通过资格. |
[24:16] | And like any club, sometimes you choose the wrong members. | 就像是一些俱乐部, 有时候他们也会选到一些不符合资格的会员. |
[24:19] | This goes on in country clubs, bridge clubs. | 不管是乡村俱乐部或者其它俱乐部. |
[24:22] | Look, if they’re social in nature, which sororities are, | 听着,如果他们本身就有那种社交特质, |
[24:26] | their social skills come into play. | 你自然而然就能轻易地加入这个社团. |
[24:28] | So you’re admitting their social awkwardness was the cause for their discharge? | 所以你承认,因为他们不擅长 人际关系所以取消他们的会员资格? |
[24:33] | – It was a factor. – Bad for the image. | 那的确是个重要的因素. 形象太差 |
[24:35] | In so many words. | 还有更多其它的. |
[24:37] | And before you all wave your arms in dismay, let me tell you, | 在你们都举起手来 投反对票之前,请让我讲几句话, |
[24:40] | every fraternity, every sorority works exactly the same way. | 所有的联谊会,社团全部 都是用同样操作手法来经营的. |
[24:43] | You populate the franchise with kids who socialize well together. | 社团就是把那些有志一同的人凑在一起. |
[24:47] | In success, it becomes a place where incoming freshman want to join. | 就是这样才会成功 ,才会吸引更多的新人参加. |
[24:51] | They all trade on image. | 这都是形象问题. |
[24:53] | And your image is beautiful people? | 所以你们社团的形象是”外表亮丽”? |
[24:56] | Attractive is perhaps a nicer image than unattractive. | 有魅力跟没魅力 两种形象哪个比较好是很明显的. |
[24:59] | But mainly, the image is social. | 但是,我还是认为我们主要的形象是社交. |
[25:02] | Antisocial people don’t best accomplish that. | 那些反对社交活动 的人不是太符合这个条件. |
[25:04] | 但是你不是因为我的 客户反对社交活动而赶她走的 | |
[25:07] | You didn’t get rid of my client It’s ’cause she was socially awkward. for being antisocial. | 你是因为她不擅长社交活动而赶她走的. |
[25:10] | Look, I didn’t make that decision personally, so I can’t be sure, | 听着,我们都是用投票决定的. 所以我不知道其他人是怎么想, |
[25:13] | but if somebody is standing at a party not talking to anybody, | 说今天在派对上有 一个人从头到尾都没跟其他人讲话, |
[25:16] | the distinction between socially awkward and antisocial is a tough one to draw. | 这种行为到底是反对社交活动 还是不擅长?这是很难分辨的. |
[25:21] | And looks? | 外貌呢? |
[25:23] | You like your sorority sisters to be pretty. | 你希望里面的成员都长得漂亮. |
[25:25] | That’s not necessarily a criterion. | 不是这样的.这不是必须性的要求. |
[25:27] | I think if you were to do an analysis, | 我想如果你做过一些调查, |
[25:29] | you’d probably discover good-looking people tend to be more socially outgoing. | 有着姣好外貌的人 一般都有比较多的社交活动. |
[25:33] | What about values? | 那内在美就不需要了吗? |
[25:35] | Of course we want people of good values. | 我们当然希望每个会员都很有内涵. |
[25:37] | You consider it good values | 所以就算一个有内涵的人 |
[25:40] | to throw somebody out of your club ’cause she’s shy? | 也会因为过于害羞而被踢出社团? |
[25:43] | As I said, the main point of the club is social, | 我说过了, 这个社团最大的重点就是社交, |
[25:46] | fun to be around. | 一定要能大家一起玩. |
[25:48] | If a member suddenly suffered from depression, | 如果一个成员突然得到忧郁症呢, |
[25:51] | out she goes? | 也出局吗? |
[25:54] | That isn’t fair. | 这不公平. |
[25:55] | Well, if she were no longer fun to be around… | 既然如果她已经无法再跟大家一起玩的话― |
[25:57] | Objection. He’s totally twisting her words, your honor. | 反对,他完全扭曲了她的意思,法官大人. |
[26:04] | Would you ever take somebody with Asperger’s? | 你们有成员有阿斯伯格症吗? |
[26:08] | Objection! | 反对! |
[26:09] | If they made funny sounds and walked around with their hands on their thighs? | 如果他们发出一些怪声音然后 还总是把他的手放在自己大腿上? |
[26:13] | – Cheap shot, cheap shot! – I was just asking what… | 太贱了,太卑鄙了! 我只是在问一些― |
[26:15] | You made it personal against me! | 你正对我坐人身攻击! |
[26:17] | No, no, I was… | 不不,我只是― |
[26:18] | Yes, you did, you, you… | 你有你有你有你就是有… |
[26:20] | you fat boy! | 你这个小肥猪! |
[26:22] | What did you call me? | 你刚刚叫我什么? |
[26:23] | You attack me, I’ll attack you right back. | 有人咬我一口我也会立刻回敬回去的. |
[26:26] | I won’t be attacked. I won’t be offended. | 没有人可以攻击我或者辱骂我. |
[26:28] | I won’t be picked on like that. Now you look here, | 我绝对不是那个你可以欺负的对象. 听到了没? |
[26:30] | you…Do you hear me? | 你给我看清楚,你… |
[26:34] | I will try my case. You try yours. | 你做你该做的事情我做我该做的事情. |
[26:37] | Yeah, well, here’s the thing about that, pal. | 是啊!等着看吧,朋友. |
[26:40] | Once I get done with you, I… | 只要这案子一结束,我.. |
[26:49] | Don’t forget your little hop, bro! | 别忘了”跳”一下,兄弟! |
[27:02] | I’m supposed to meet Alan. | 我应该是跟Alan见面的. |
[27:04] | He asked me to take over. | 他叫我接手办理. |
[27:05] | Did he ask you to take my hand? | 他有叫你握我的手吗? |
[27:07] | Gloria, little rehab, very romantic. | 我知道一个会让你处于浪漫幻境的方法. Gloria, I know a fantastic |
[27:13] | And if the hallucinogens don’t get you in, | 如果连迷幻剂都不能让你高潮的话, |
[27:15] | I know some wonderful ethnic slurs. | 我知道怎么让你飘飘欲仙. |
[27:19] | Do you think it’s right to be hitting on me? | 你觉得勾引我是一个理智的行动吗? |
[27:21] | It feels right. | 我觉得不错阿. |
[27:23] | – And what would Alan think? – Alan who? | 那Alan会怎么想呢? 哪个Alan? |
[27:25] | Greenspan, a man considerably sexier than you. | Greenspan,一个比你性感多了的男人. |
[27:28] | I knew you were there. | 我知道你在那边. |
[27:30] | I need to talk to my client, Denny. Get out. | 我想跟我的客户说话,Denny.出去吧. |
[27:32] | Your client is my client. | 你的客户就是我的客户. |
[27:33] | Please get out. | 请滚吧. |
[27:38] | You upset with me? | 你对我不爽? |
[27:41] | Alan, sometimes the mad cow just.. | Alan,你知道的有时候疯牛病一发作.. |
[27:43] | Out. | 滚.(当我三岁小孩阿) |
[27:55] | The plaintiff wants to make this case about, did Simon Griffin, | 这案子是被告Simon Griffin, |
[27:58] | 一个大学毕业的知识分子 ,清楚他签下何种条款的认知之下 | |
[28:01] | who has a graduate degree, when he allowed Dr. Freemont know what he was signing to use his blood in medical research? | 同意 Freemont医生使用他的血意来做研究吧? |
[28:05] | Let me tell you what this should really be about. | 但是让我更深入的告诉 你们此案到底有什么意义吧. |
[28:07] | 3 numbers. 40, 4 and 3, | 3个数字. 40, 4 跟 3, |
[28:12] | like a locker combination. | 就像是门锁密码一样. |
[28:13] | 40 million people have AIDS worldwide. | 全世界有四亿人口有爱滋病. |
[28:16] | 4 million were newly diagnosed last year alone, | 其中四百万,是去年才检验出来的, |
[28:19] | and 3 million died. | 其中三百万死了. |
[28:21] | Simon Griffin’s blood has the potential | Simon Griffin的血液可能可以 |
[28:24] | to make that locker combination zero, zero and zero. | 让这三个数字都变成0,0,0. |
[28:29] | Now we don’t often get the chance to make someone do the right thing. | 今天,我们没有多少机会能叫别人去做对的事情 |
[28:32] | Most of the time people do the wrong thing, | 大部分的时候,人们总是自私的, |
[28:34] | like pharmaceutical companies charging $15,000 a year for AIDS medication | 就像是那些各大药厂 每年跟爱滋病患收取一万五千元的药品费 |
[28:39] | it costs them $350 to make. | 却只花了三百五十块钱去生产那些药品. |
[28:41] | India brought them to task for that, | 就像是把商品外包给印度生产, |
[28:43] | and now it’s sold there at cost. | 卖的却是天价一般的价钱. |
[28:46] | This is AIDS, your honor. | 这是爱滋病阿,法官大人. |
[28:48] | And the world is standing up and saying, | 整个世界都站在你面前对你说, |
[28:51] | “you don’t get to make your fortune off the impending deaths of 40 million people.” | “你不应该将财富建筑正处 于垂死边缘的四亿人口身上阿.” |
[28:57] | Taking something from someone else for the greater good, | 因为要造福全人类而不得不让 一些个人利益受到一点亏损, |
[29:00] | we have a name for that. It’s called eminent domain. | 我们常常这样做:在打仗时我们叫征收. |
[29:03] | If you have a property, a home that’s in the way of a planned freeway, | 如果你有一个屋子盖 在高速公路的预建地上, |
[29:07] | the government can just come right in and take it. | 政府会毫不迟疑的征收他. |
[29:10] | If we can do that to facilitate traffic, | 如果我们都能这样去征收土地了, |
[29:12] | then why don’t we do it to cure AIDS? | 为什么我们不能征收血液? |
[29:15] | Why don’t we just say, | 为什么我们不直接讲, |
[29:17] | “too bad, Simon, but the laws that protect everybody else.” | “太可惜了Simon, 但是法律保护了你以外的其他人” |
[29:21] | “don’t protect you ’cause…” | ”你不受保护因为… |
[29:23] | well, “you have something that we really, really want,” | ”因为你身上有我们要的东西, |
[29:26] | “so we’re just going to come in and take it.” | ”所以我们就不客气的拿走了” |
[29:30] | Does anyone here remember the flu vaccine crisis a couple of years ago? | 还记得几年前的流感疫苗危机吗?? |
[29:33] | That was the government’s baby. | 这就是政府捅出来的楼子. |
[29:36] | The flu kills 36,000 Americans a year. | 流感一年杀死三万六千名美国人. |
[29:39] | And yet, the government left 30 million without vaccinations. | 但是政府却让三千万人口无疫苗可接种. |
[29:43] | Oops. | 糟糕. |
[29:45] | So even if you don’t like Simon Griffin, you may think… | 即使你不喜欢 Simon Griffin,你可能觉得― |
[29:48] | He’s an ass. | 他是个烂人. |
[29:50] | Yes, he is. | 没错,他就是 |
[29:52] | And if you were in his position, maybe you would be totally selfless, | 而且如果今天你也有 同样的遭遇,或许你会非常无私, |
[29:56] | but Simon Griffin isn’t saying no one can test him | 但是Simon Griffin 不是说不愿意拿出血液来让大家做研究 |
[29:59] | He’s just saying he wants to choose who does it. | 而是他想要选择让谁去做研究. |
[30:04] | And he doesn’t want to choose the same bunch | 而且他选择不要让那个管理 |
[30:07] | that was in charge of the flu. | 公众疫苗还缺货的人去做. |
[30:14] | I imagine in a moment of calm reflection or sound judgment, | 我只是”热心地”帮他”好好” 思考跟提供一些”意见”, |
[30:19] | the district attorney simply saw his way to dropping the charges. | 那个检察官就觉得他该放弃诉讼. |
[30:24] | Oh, thank God. | 喔!谢天谢地. |
[30:26] | Let’s leave God out of it. | 在谢谢老天爷之前你该有其它人先该谢. |
[30:28] | You can thank me, Gloria. | 你可以谢谢我, Gloria. |
[30:32] | How about… | 不如… |
[30:34] | I invite you over for a cup of tea? | 我请你过来我那边喝茶? |
[30:37] | I’m not a great fan of hallucinogens. | 我对于麻痹自己没”性”趣. |
[30:40] | That commercial with the frying egg had a profound effect on me. | 那个鸡蛋满天乱飞的 广告让我印象还挺深刻的. |
[30:49] | So, well… | 那… |
[30:52] | what would you like me to do? | 你想要我怎么做? |
[30:58] | Would you like me to do it right here? | 你想要我在这边开始”报答”你? |
[31:02] | I would like you to have dinner with me. | 我想要你跟我一起吃个晚餐 |
[31:06] | And if it goes well, perhaps another one. | 如果情况顺利,也许之后会继续. |
[31:09] | And if that one goes well, maybe a third, | 如果第二次也良好的话,可能第三次.. |
[31:12] | after which I might kiss you at your front door. | 之前我会先跑到你的法官桌前亲你. |
[31:20] | You want to… | 你想要… |
[31:21] | Date. | 约会. |
[31:23] | I’d like to go out with you. | 我想要跟你约会. |
[31:33] | Are you sure you wouldn’t rather just rip my clothes off? | 你确定你不会更想要把我剥光? |
[31:42] | Positive. | 没错. |
[31:45] | Could I at least give you an advance on that third date? | 我可以给你一点关于第三次约会的意见吗? |
[31:50] | Well, if you must. | 如果你坚持的话. |
[32:09] | I guess Denny didn’t like it. | 我猜Denny不是很满意这个结果. |
[32:24] | Mr. Bell, we’ll hear from you. | Mr Bell,让我们听听你的意见. |
[32:40] | College is a place where we teach our children, | 学校是我们让孩子受教育的地方, |
[32:45] | believing they are our future. | 相信他们是未来的主人翁. |
[32:47] | Do we really want a future of social intolerance, | 我们真的希望看到未来社会中, |
[32:52] | where people are ostracized for being shy, | 这些害羞的人就被踢出团体圈子吗, |
[32:55] | where the beautiful and the popular are celebrated, | 只有那些外表出众 以及受欢迎的人才能大肆庆祝, |
[32:59] | and the less attractive and the awkward are scorned? | 而那些不受欢迎的跟害羞的人就被遗弃?? |
[33:04] | Gamma kappa tau is a national club promoting a message that is as intolerant | ΓΚΤ 这个国际性的社团正推广这种歪理 |
[33:10] | as it should be unacceptable. | 这是不能够被接受的. |
[33:12] | I suppose it’s one thing if they never wanted to invite Marcie Cooper in. | 我能够想到他们让Marcie Cooper加入. |
[33:16] | But having invited her, | 的唯一理由不是真的想让她参加, |
[33:19] | to throw her out on grounds of social unfitness, | 而使只是想要把她踢出去看她出糗而已, |
[33:26] | shame on them. | 无耻. |
[33:47] | College is also about preparing students for the outside world. | 大学也是一个让学生们开始接触社会的地方. |
[33:50] | Last time I checked, it’s pretty tough out there. | 外面的世界是十分肮脏的. |
[33:53] | There’s the old adage, “nice guys finish last.” | 大家都知道”只有亮丽的人才能站在舞台上” |
[33:57] | There’s some truth to that. | 让我告诉你们一些真像. |
[34:00] | I happen to know opposing counsel is a fundamentally kind man, | 曾经一次辩方的律师是我认识的人 .他是一个非常善良的人, |
[34:06] | sensitive. | 非常感性. |
[34:08] | He chose to exploit my Asperger’s syndrome to win this case. | 但他利用我阿斯伯格症的弱点而赢了官司. |
[34:13] | My very best friend, | 我最好的朋友, |
[34:14] | a lawyer that I had a case against not too long ago, | 就在不久之前另外一个案子中, |
[34:17] | he, too, exploited my Asperger’s. | 他也采用了类似的手法. |
[34:20] | He’s a very good man who opted for cruelty as a strategy. | 他是一个非常好的人, 但同时当处于不同阵营时也非常残酷. |
[34:32] | If Marcie Cooper comes out of this experience thinking that people can be cruel, | 如果Marcie Cooper今天她走出来 ,并且知道了有时候人们就是残酷的, |
[34:37] | even the kind, sensitive ones, | 即使是那些善良,感性的人也如此, |
[34:40] | if she’s learned that she will be judged not simply on merit | 她会学习到一个人 |
[34:44] | or the content of her character, | 不是光内在美就足够了, |
[34:46] | but on how she looks and socializes with others, | 也得注意外貌跟人际关系, |
[34:51] | she’s gotten an education, | 如此一来她便上了重要的一课, |
[34:53] | one that will serve her in life. | 而宝贵的经验会让她受用一辈子. |
[34:57] | This is a free society. People get to choose their friends. | 这是一个民主的社会 ,每个人都有选择朋友的权力. |
[35:00] | Clubs get to choose their members. | 俱乐部可以选择他们的会员. |
[35:02] | Sometimes it’s very ugly and unfair. | 有时候的确就是肮脏跟不公平. |
[35:07] | That’s… life! | 但这就是人生! |
[35:39] | Hey. / Hey. | 嘿. 嘿. |
[35:51] | My dad served in Vietnam. | 我的父亲参加过越战. |
[35:55] | He put his life on the line. | 他永远站在最前线作战. |
[35:59] | But instead of coming home to a hero’s welcome, | 但是当他回来的时候 举国上下却不是将他当英雄般对待, |
[36:01] | he found a country that was either ashamed of the war | 他发现整个国家要不以战争为耻 |
[36:05] | or just wanted to deny it, | 不然就是想要装做没发生一般, |
[36:08] | deny him. | 让他觉得被否定了. |
[36:10] | And I fear that our soldiers in Iraq could face the same thing. | 我担心那些在伊拉克奋勇 做战的士兵也会碰到同样的情形. |
[36:16] | And we seem to be in such a hurry for this thing to be over with, | 举国上下都恨不得伊拉克的战事快点结束, |
[36:20] | so we can go back to pretending… | 所以我们可以继续装无知… |
[36:25] | see, in Vietnam, soldiers didn’t survive. | 你看,越战当中才有多少士兵存活下来而已. |
[36:32] | But today they do. | 但今天不一样,他们活下来了. |
[36:35] | And they come home missing legs and arms and eyes… | 有的缺手有的缺脚的回来了… |
[36:41] | you know, and not much to cling to. | 但是却没有一个可以依靠的地方. |
[36:48] | They need us to be proud of them. | 我们得为他们感到骄傲. |
[36:51] | You know, they need us to show it. | 你知道的,我们得表达出来. |
[36:57] | Every chance we get. | 紧抓着每个机会. |
[37:14] | Truth be told, | 说真的, |
[37:16] | I couldn’t understand what the hell anybody was talking about in this case. | 我从头到尾都听不懂这案子在讲什么. (XD真是老糊涂!) |
[37:22] | It was clear to me that Mr. Griffin, | 但是我很清楚Mr Griffin, |
[37:24] | as I said, was an ass. | 是个烂人. |
[37:27] | The idea of one person getting a patent on somebody else’s DNA, | 但是一个人可以随意申请另外一 个人DNA的专利这种事情却是很愚蠢的, |
[37:33] | well, you don’t have to be a senile old goat to be befuddled by that. | 这样的话世界不就大乱了. |
[37:41] | But the most confusing thing of all is the idea | 但是最让我困惑的是 |
[37:47] | that AIDS maybe can be cured | 爱滋是可望能够被治愈的 |
[37:50] | and progress is repeatedly being stalled | 但是整个研发工作却时常停摆 |
[37:55] | by a bunch of drug companies and scientists going for patents and fighting over profits. | 因为各大医药厂商不断的争夺他们的利益. |
[38:02] | I don’t doubt the sincerity of the doctor. | 我不怀疑一个医师想悬壶济世的道德典范. |
[38:06] | Legally, I suppose, he does have a patent, | 更何况于法,他有专利, |
[38:09] | but I keep coming back to, this is Simon Griffin’s blood, | 但是我不断的 想到这是Simon Griffin的血, |
[38:16] | and he’s an ass. | 但他却是个大烂人. |
[38:18] | I rule in favor of the doctor. | 我裁判医生获胜. |
[38:22] | Adjourned. | 解散. |
[38:30] | What the… | 什么― |
[38:31] | what just happened? | 发生什么事了? |
[38:32] | He played the ass card. | 他给了你一张”烂人卡”. (这年头除了有好人卡还有烂人卡^^?) |
[38:44] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团一致通过吗? |
[38:46] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官大人. |
[38:48] | In the matter of Marcie Cooper vs. gamma kappa tau sorority, | 关于Marcie Cooper控告ΓΚΤ社团, |
[38:51] | we the jury find in favor of the defendant. | 一案我们裁定被告获胜. |
[38:54] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, thank you for your service. | 陪审团的先生女士辛苦了. |
[38:57] | You’re dismissed. | 你们可以解散了. |
[39:00] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉. |
[39:03] | Well, you tried. | 你尽力了. |
[39:06] | You fought, Marcie. That’s what’s important. | 你勇敢的对抗他Marcie. 这才是重点. |
[39:08] | You didn’t sit back and take it. | 你不单单只是做在那边然后忍受它. |
[39:10] | Yeah. | 是阿. |
[39:12] | I sure could have used that $50 million, though. | 想想看要是我有五亿美金哈哈. |
[39:40] | So… | 所以… |
[39:42] | Hands beat Clarence? | 怪手击败Clarence了? |
[39:47] | Were they any good? | 他们表现如何? |
[39:50] | They were both excellent. | 都很杰出. |
[39:52] | Tough, shrewd, mercenary, | 硬派,坚强,宣染力够, |
[39:55] | all the ideals we aspire to. | 正是律师所需要的特质. |
[39:57] | It saddened me beyond belief | 这却让我难过了起来. |
[40:00] | Well, look on the bright side. | 看开点吧. |
[40:02] | Judge Gloria Weldon. | Gloria Weldon法官. |
[40:09] | You know, Denny, I didn’t appreciate you hitting on her | 你知道吗, Denny,你竟然想去勾引她 我很不高兴 |
[40:11] | after I specifically told you I was interested in her. | 我明明都跟你讲过我喜欢她了. |
[40:17] | Alan, I wouldn’t move in on your girl. | Alan,我绝对不会碰你的女人. |
[40:19] | I was just trying to get there first to make her my girl. | 我只是想要在她们变 成你的女人之前先变成我的女人. |
[40:22] | Well, she is my girl. | 你已经来不及了,她是我的人了. |
[40:24] | Got it? | 知道了吗? |
[40:27] | You went after Shirley when I told you not to. | 当你想把Shirley 的时候我也警告过你. |
[40:29] | Fine. I’ll stay away from Shirley. You stay away from Gloria. | 好,那扯平我不碰 Shirley. 你也不准碰Gloria. |
[40:37] | You like this woman? | 你真的喜欢她? |
[40:40] | Do you love her? | 你爱她吗? |
[40:44] | Denny, I haven’t even had a date with her. | Denny,我们都还没约会. |
[40:46] | But you think you could love her. That’s what this is all about. | 但你觉得你会爱上她.所以今天你才会去约她. |
[40:50] | It’s been so long since I let myself love a woman, | 我多久没有爱过一个人了, |
[40:53] | I wouldn’t even know. | 我自己也不清楚. |
[40:55] | It’s… | 这是件… |
[40:57] | terrifying. | 很糟糕的事. |
[41:00] | But that’s the best part, | 这也是最精采的部分阿, |
[41:02] | being on the high wire. | 当个妻管严. |
[41:04] | It’s good to be in love, Alan. | 谈恋爱是好的!, Alan. |
[41:07] | You aren’t just saying that? | 你讲的好像不是这么一回事? |
[41:10] | It’s everything. | 这就是恋爱阿. |
[41:14] | Just don’t let her cut into our special time. | 但是有个重点,她不准管我们”阳台小聚会”. |
[41:17] | I would never. | 我绝对不会让她插手的. |
[41:18] | ‘Cause that’s what they like to do, women, you know? | ‘你知道吗?女人最爱管这种事情了 |
[41:20] | First thing, just cut you off from your friends. | 首先,不准你跟朋友鬼混. |
[41:22] | Not gonna happen. | 不可能发生在我身上. |
[41:23] | You tell her right from the start, I come first. | 你得跟她讲清楚 ,你心中第一个位置是留给我的. |
[41:25] | – Done. – If I need a sleepover… | 好. 如果我或他要你陪他/她睡觉的话… |
[41:27] | You get priority. | 你有优先权. |
[41:30] | Promise? | 你保证? |
[41:31] | Promise. | 我发誓. |
[41:36] | She’s a beautiful woman, Alan. | 她是个很正点的女人, Alan. |
[41:41] | Yes, she is. | 是阿她是. |