时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Previously on ‘Boston Legal’ | |
[00:03] | You know why she dumped me? Because I’m a lousy kisser. | 知道她为何甩了我么 因为我接吻很糟糕 |
[00:05] | Maybe you could use some… | 也许你可以用一些… |
[00:07] | pointers. | 技巧 |
[00:08] | We had sex. | 我们上床了 |
[00:09] | Yes. | 是的 |
[00:10] | Mr. Mkeba was only attacking Armus in revenge. | Mkeba先生袭击Armus先生只是报复 |
[00:13] | Jerry… | Jerry… |
[00:13] | My first trial, and I blew it! | 我的第一次庭审 我搞砸了! |
[00:15] | I’ve never been involved in a case that was going as badly as this one. | 我从来没卷入如此棘手的案件 |
[00:18] | So what do we do? | 我们该怎么办 |
[00:19] | You could run. | 你可以逃跑 |
[00:20] | Do you have any evidence that Mr. Shore is hiding Mr. Mkeba? | 你有证据证明Shore先生 藏匿了Mkeba先生么 |
[00:24] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[00:25] | Sorry I’m late, good people. | 抱歉我迟到了 大家都好啊 |
[00:27] | Edwin. Everything all right? | Edwin 一切都好么 |
[00:29] | Hunky-dory. | 好极了 |
[00:31] | Hunky-dory. | 好极了 |
[00:42] | Did he escape? | 他逃出来了? |
[00:43] | He did not. He was released. | 不是 他被放出来了 |
[00:45] | Are we to assume that he’s recovered? | 我们假设他康复了? |
[00:49] | We are. | 是的 |
[00:49] | Gentle, soothing tones, no sudden movements. We don’t want to startle him. | 用温和的 平静的语气 不要有突然的动作 不要吓到他 |
[00:58] | Bonjour Mes Amis Bonjour, Mes Amis. Edwin Poole is back. | Edwin Poole 回来了 |
[01:02] | Edwin, welcome back. | Edwin 欢迎回来 |
[01:04] | Shirley | Shirley. |
[01:05] | Edwin | Edwin. |
[01:06] | Paul | Paul. |
[01:08] | Edwin | Edwin. |
[01:09] | Brad | Brad. |
[01:11] | I’m glad to see you’re… | 很高兴看到你… |
[01:12] | Well? | 好了? |
[01:14] | Well… yes. | 好了…是的 |
[01:15] | Shirley, this is for you. | Shirley 这是给你的 |
[01:16] | What is it? | 什么东西 |
[01:17] | It’s a signed, certified letter from New Beginnings | 这是New Beginnings签署的证明文件 |
[01:19] | stating that I am 100% mentally healthy. | 证明我的精神100%健康 |
[01:22] | How lovely. You had it framed. | 真可爱 你还装了框 |
[01:24] | That would make you the only certifiably sane person here. | 这使你成为这唯一的 能证明是健康的人 |
[01:28] | Oh, my God! | 哦 我的天啊! |
[01:31] | Edwin Poole | Edwin Poole. |
[01:32] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[01:33] | Name on the door. | 门上的名字 |
[01:34] | Mine, too. | 也有我的 |
[01:34] | Crane… | Crane… |
[01:35] | Poole and… | Poole and… |
[01:36] | Schmidt! | Schmidt! |
[01:37] | Man, you look great. Still mental? | 好家伙 你看上去很好 还有精神问题? |
[01:39] | Over it. You? | 早好了 你呢 |
[01:40] | Never. Mad cow. Denny Crane. | 有 疯牛病 Denny Crane |
[01:41] | Edwin Poole | Edwin Poole. |
[01:42] | Crane… | Crane… |
[01:43] | Poole and… | Poole and… |
[01:45] | Schmidt! | Schmidt! |
[01:47] | Take a picture. | 给我们照张相 |
[02:25] | So, Edwin… is the plan to come back full-time? | 那 Edwin…打算回来全职工作么 |
[02:28] | Big-time. | 一流的工作 |
[02:30] | I’m coming back big-time. | 我回来进行一流的工作 |
[02:32] | Shirley… | Shirley… |
[02:34] | I must admit, during my many long nights at the laughing academy, | 我必须承认 在laughing academy 那么多个夜晚 |
[02:38] | as I lay in bed in want… | 当我躺在床上想着… |
[02:40] | Oh, yeah… it helped to think of all those times you and I were… | 哦 是的…想着那些事很有帮助 那是我和你… |
[02:45] | carnal. | 在床上的时候 |
[02:46] | We were never carnal. | 我们从没上过床 |
[02:48] | But it helped to think of it just the same. | 但那也一样有帮助 |
[02:50] | Edwin | Edwin. |
[02:50] | I would… yeah? | 我会…什么? |
[02:51] | It’s important to take things slow at first. | 开始时悠着点很重要 |
[02:54] | No worries. | 别担心 |
[02:55] | It’s not lost on me how the world is moving too fast these days. | 如今世界飞转也没让我晕头转相 |
[02:58] | Everyone on their PDAs, their cell phones, competition, | 每个在用PDA的 打手机的人 |
[03:02] | overworked, underpaid, running, running, running. | 竞争 超负荷工作 过低的薪水 冲啊 冲啊 冲啊 |
[03:04] | I was just the first one to react to the artificial way we’re living. | 我只是对我们生活的虚假方式 反应最快的人 |
[03:07] | The canary in the coalmine. | 矿井里的金丝雀 |
[03:10] | The sensitive one. | 敏感的那一个 |
[03:12] | Um, this is Phil Mickle. He’s here to hook up your computer. | 呃 这是Phil Mickle 他来帮你装电脑的 |
[03:15] | Good God. Will you look at the size of that? | 老天 瞧瞧他那体型 |
[03:19] | Phil, you remember Edwin. | Phil 你还记得Edwin么 |
[03:22] | The sensitive one. | 敏感的那一个 |
[03:43] | Okay, look, I paid my taxes. | 好吧 听着 我交了税了 |
[03:45] | So whatever this is about, I did not do it. | 不管这次是什么事 都和我无关 |
[03:47] | We’re looking for Alan Shore, please. | 我们是来找Alan Shore的 |
[03:51] | Alan. Men with guns, again. | Alan 又是带枪的人 |
[03:54] | It wasn’t me. | 不是找我的 |
[03:56] | What’s going on? | 什么事? |
[03:57] | Alan Shore? | Alan Shore? |
[03:58] | It depends. | 看情况 |
[03:59] | You’re under arrest. | 你被逮捕了 |
[04:00] | Arrest for what? | 什么抓我? |
[04:02] | Aiding and abetting a fugitive. | 帮助并教唆逃逸 |
[04:03] | Obstruction of justice and conspiracy to aid a defendant to avoid prosecution. | 妨碍司法公正 参与协助被告逃避检控程序 |
[04:07] | You just described anyone who’s ever given money to Tome Delay. | 你是指任何曾给Tome Delay钱的人 |
[04:11] | Oh, please put your hands behind your back. | 哦 请你把手背到身后 |
[04:13] | Do I have to? It makes me feel so pretentious. | 必须这样么? 这会让我看上去太自命不凡 |
[04:15] | Alan, please don’t joke. They don’t… look funny. | Alan 别开玩笑了 他们不是…好玩的 |
[04:18] | You have the right to remain silent. | 你有权保持沉默 |
[04:20] | Must you? | 一定要说一遍么 |
[04:21] | I’ll waive reading. | 我放弃被告之的权利 |
[04:27] | I… I’ll get you a lawyer. | 我…我会给你找个律师的 |
[04:45] | Evidently, he advised a client to flee the country. | 显然 他建议一个当事人逃出境 |
[04:48] | Told him to go where? | 让他去哪? |
[04:49] | Nimmo bay. | Nimmo湾(在加拿大的温哥华岛上) |
[04:50] | The arraignment’s at 10:00. | 传讯10点开始 |
[04:51] | Which I’ll handle. | 我来处理 |
[04:52] | Which you won’t. | 这个你不行 |
[04:53] | He asked for me, Shirley. | 他要求由我来 Shirley |
[04:54] | We better call the managing partners and present is to them | 我最好召开管理层会议告诉他们 |
[04:57] | before they hear it on the news. | 而不是让他们从新闻得知 |
[04:59] | But it doesn’t make sense. | 这说不通 |
[05:00] | I don’t date men at the office. | 我不和办公室里的人约会 |
[05:03] | Stupid. | 真傻 |
[05:03] | Well, just the same… | 我也这么觉得… |
[05:05] | Look, in order for relations to be as compatible as they were, two people… | 听着 为了使关系更和谐 两个人应该… |
[05:08] | Okay, let me just stop you right there. | 好了 就此打住吧 |
[05:10] | Any man that I would be with, | 我会和他在一起的人 |
[05:12] | he would use the word “sex”. | 会用”上床”这个字眼 |
[05:14] | He would never say “relations,” and certainly not to describe what we did. | 他绝不会用”关系”这词 当然也不会去描述我们做了什么 |
[05:18] | Come on, Brad. We were like a couple of wild apes. | 别这样 Brad 我们像一对野人 |
[05:20] | Exactly. If you’re so quick to measure a man by a kiss, | 的确如此 如果仅通过一个吻 太快去衡量一个男人 |
[05:23] | why not attach a little bit on weight to his ability to intercourse? | 为何不再衡量下他的交流能力呢 |
[05:26] | I don’t want to sue. | 我不想打官司 |
[05:27] | Stop making it about you. | 别再这么对自己说了 |
[05:29] | I need to sue. | 我需要打官司 |
[05:30] | I need to make money for this firm. For that I need a victim. | 我需要为这公司赚钱 所以我需要一个受害人 |
[05:32] | But I’m not a victim. | 可我不是受害人 |
[05:33] | Of course you are, Paul. | 你当然是 Paul |
[05:34] | Phil… | Phil… |
[05:35] | You’re gigantic. | 你是个巨人 |
[05:35] | Something has gone amiss here. People simply do not grow this large. | 这其中肯定有问题 一般人不会长成这样 |
[05:39] | For God’s sake, you need to blame somebody. | 看在上帝的份上 你需要怪罪某些人 |
[05:42] | This is America! | 这就是美国! |
[05:46] | 42444, The Commonwealth vs. Alan Shore. Aiding and abetting… | 编号42444 州诉Alan Shore 帮助并教唆… |
[05:51] | Waive reading, judge. The charges depress me. | 放弃被宣告的权利 法官法人 指控让我沮丧 |
[05:54] | Douglas Kupfer representing the Commonwealth, your Honor. | Douglas Kupfer代表州的控方律师 法官大人 |
[05:56] | Well, well, well, not it all makes sense. | 现在 一切都清楚了 |
[05:59] | Denny Crane for the defense. Glad to be back, judge. | Denny Crane 辩方律师 很高兴回到这 法官大人 |
[06:02] | What’s going on here? | 这是怎么了? |
[06:04] | Last week, he was in here defending you. | 上周 他在这为你辩护 |
[06:06] | Yes, judge. He gets me off, I get him off. | 是的 法官大人 他救我 我救他 |
[06:08] | We’re flamingos. | 我们是火烈鸟 |
[06:09] | Don’t ask, don’t tell. | 别问 别说 |
[06:10] | Silence. | 肃静 |
[06:11] | Your Honor, they’ve already started making a farce out of this matter. | 法官大人 他们已经在上演闹剧了 |
[06:14] | You made the farce by bringing the charges. | 你的指控才是闹剧呢 |
[06:17] | Silence. Mr. Shore, you are the defendant. | 肃静 Shore先生 你是被告 |
[06:20] | I don’t want to hear another poop out of you. | 我不想听到 另一个人和你吵到精疲力尽 |
[06:23] | How do you plead? | 你认罪么 |
[06:24] | Not guilty by reason of the district attorney’s insanity. | 无罪 因为地方检控官精神错乱 |
[06:27] | All right, then. We’ll schedule… | 好吧 那 我们将定在… |
[06:29] | that’s not a real plea. | 那不是正式的认罪 |
[06:31] | Not guilty, then. | 不认罪 |
[06:32] | Do you wish a trial? | 你希望接受庭审么 |
[06:34] | If it’s not too much trouble. Speedy. | 如果不麻烦的话 越快越好 |
[06:35] | The Commonwealth stands ready, your Honor. | 州代表方准备好了 法官大人 |
[06:37] | Bail? | 保释么? |
[06:38] | I ask to be released on my own recognizance. | 我要求取保候审 |
[06:40] | I assure you I will not flee. | 我保证我不会逃跑 |
[06:43] | No objection. | 不反对 |
[06:44] | Fine. ROR is granted. | 好的 同意取保候审 |
[06:46] | We’ll resume at 10:00 tomorrow. We’re adjourned. | 明天10点继续审理 休庭 |
[06:50] | This is a happy day. | 真是高兴的日子 |
[06:52] | Yes. People like you always bring themselves down, Mr. Shore. | 是的 像你这样的人总使自己沮丧 Shore先生 |
[06:56] | And just in case we don’t, we’ve got you. | 万一我们不行 不是还有你嘛 |
[07:03] | You’re a diabetic? | 你是糖尿病患者? |
[07:06] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[07:07] | So you are a victim. We can sue. | 那你是受害者了 我们可以打官司了 |
[07:11] | Brother. | 兄弟 |
[07:13] | Congratulations. You have a real disease. | 恭喜你 你有真正的疾病 |
[07:16] | We’ll file in the morning. This is wonderful, Phil. | 早上我们会提出诉讼申请 这太棒了 Phil |
[07:18] | I’m gonna make you a very rich man. | 我让你成为有钱人 |
[07:21] | Edwin, you… you can’t sue a disease. | Edwin 你…你不能起诉一种疾病 |
[07:23] | But he has it, Shirley. The man’s a diabetic. I mean… | 可他病了 Shirley 这个人有糖尿病 我是说… |
[07:27] | But you can not file a lawsuit against diabetes. That’s a disease. | 可你不能因为糖尿病而提起诉讼 那是一种疾病 |
[07:30] | It’s not… But there are foundations, okay? | 它不是… 可不是有一个基金会么 |
[07:32] | What about the American Diabetes Association? That’s a deep pocket. | 美国糖尿病协会?那多有钱啊 |
[07:35] | We go after them. | 就起诉他们 |
[07:36] | The American Diabetes Association is trying to cure it. | 美国糖尿病协会是为了 寻求治愈方法的机构 |
[07:39] | They don’t cause it. | 他们不是造成糖尿病的原因 |
[07:39] | So they’ll settle out of court. Trust me. They all pay to avoid a trial. | 所以他们会庭外和解 相信我 为了避免庭审 他们愿意给钱 |
[07:44] | Edwin, you seemed less crazy with your pants down. | Edwin 你没有不穿裤子那时疯了 |
[07:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:49] | I don’t think you’re ready to resume the practice of law. | 我认为你还没准备好打官司 |
[07:54] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[08:02] | I have no defense, Denny. I broke the law. | 我没什么可辩护的 Denny 我犯了法 |
[08:04] | So? | 所以? |
[08:06] | So usually in these situations, I go with jury nullification… | 所以通常这样的情况 我会向陪审团提出审判无效 |
[08:09] | persuade the jury to focus on the moral, not the legal. | 劝说陪审团关注道德 而不是法律 |
[08:12] | But here, it makes no difference. | 可这次 没什么不同 |
[08:14] | What I did was unethical, immoral, illegal. | 我做的事缺乏职业道德 也不道德 更不合法 |
[08:17] | You’re being so negative. | 你变得消极了 |
[08:20] | I need you to close. | 我需要你去结案陈词 |
[08:23] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[08:24] | I’ll try the case, but at the end, | 我会尽力去辩护 但最后 |
[08:26] | I need somebody else to stand before the jury | 我需要别人去站在陪审团面前 |
[08:29] | and say, “Let the man go”. | 说”放过这个人吧” |
[08:31] | And you want me to do that? | 你要我去? |
[08:33] | There was a day when all you had to do was say your name. | 曾有一天 你所要做的只是说出你的名字 |
[08:38] | That’s still all I do. | 那还是我要做的全部 |
[08:39] | Denny… I find in life, and I know you must, | Denny…我发现这一真谛 |
[08:43] | that craft doesn’t matter so much if one is a big enough star. | 如果某人足够大牌的明星 那演技就不太重要了 |
[08:47] | You’ve spent your entire life getting away with | 你花了一生的时间去远离本来的你 |
[08:50] | who and what you are because you’re a star. | 因为你是一个明星 |
[08:52] | Big star. I blow solar flares outta my ass. | 大明星 我的屁股都会发出太阳耀斑 |
[08:54] | I need your star power here. | 我需要你明星的力量 |
[08:56] | I need you stand up before that jury when we’re done, | 我们完成了 我要你站在陪审团面前 |
[08:58] | and tell them, “Let Alan Shore Go”. | 告诉他们 “让Alan Shore走吧” |
[09:01] | Really? | 真的么 |
[09:02] | I have a gut feeling it’s my best shot. | 我有预感这是我表现得最好的一次 |
[09:12] | Let him go. | 让他走吧 |
[09:14] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[09:18] | I’ll do it. | 交给我吧 |
[09:31] | They have offered me two years if I testify against you. | 他们提出服2年的刑期 条件是作不利于你的供词 |
[09:34] | Two years for attempted murder. | 谋杀未遂判2年 |
[09:36] | – Yes – And you took it. | – 是的 – 你接受了 |
[09:42] | I have a family. Alan… I am so sorry. | 我还有家人 Alan…很抱歉 |
[09:44] | That’s all right, son. | 没事的 孩子 |
[09:46] | You look at me. | 你看着我 |
[09:48] | – Denny – We know where your family lives. – Denny. | – 我们知道你家在哪 |
[09:52] | Mr. Mkeba, you’d be insane not to take that deal. | Mkeba先生 如你不接受才是疯了 |
[09:55] | All I can say to you is that if you plan to tell the truth, | 我想说的是 如果你打算说出真相的话 |
[09:59] | which I think you should. Please tell it exactly. | 我也认为你应该这么做 请你一定如实相告 |
[10:01] | Try not to misquote me. | 不要尝试错误的引导我 |
[10:03] | Because we know you… | 因为我们知道你… |
[10:04] | Denny | Denny. |
[10:07] | Well, I guess we’ll see you in court. | 我猜我们要在法庭见了 |
[10:10] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[10:15] | You should’ve let me break him. | 你应该让我打垮他 |
[10:17] | You were breaking me. | 你在打垮我 |
[10:18] | Alan | Alan. |
[10:19] | Jerry | Jerry. |
[10:20] | I’m so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[10:21] | Don’t tell me you’ve turned quisling. | 别告诉我你出卖了我们 |
[10:22] | It’s all my fault. | 都是我的错 |
[10:23] | If I hadn’t screwed up the case, you never would’ve advised him to flee. | 如果我没有搞砸那案子 你就不会建议他逃走 |
[10:26] | I feel so terribly responsible. | 我太内疚了 |
[10:28] | Jerry, I made the decision to do what I did here. | Jerry 我决定要怎么做了 |
[10:31] | As such, I take full responsibility. | 比如 我会承担全部的责任 |
[10:33] | Good God, man. Nobody does that. | 上帝啊 没人会那么做的 |
[10:37] | I have done it. I have cracked the case. | 我搞定了 我找到了案子的关键了 |
[10:40] | I’ll assume, for the sake of argument, one cannot sue diabetes. | 我假设 从论点上 不能起诉糖尿病 |
[10:44] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[10:45] | Better to sue the cause of the disease, the proximate cause. | 起诉导致糖尿病的原因更好 |
[10:49] | Now there’s lawyer talk. | 这才是一个律师说的话 |
[10:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[10:51] | So I sat down with Pete last night. | 所以我昨晚和Pete谈了谈 |
[10:52] | Phil. | 是Phil |
[10:53] | Right. And I went over his diet, going way back to when he was a child. | 对 我查看了他的食谱 追溯到他的童年 |
[10:57] | Together, we dissected his eating habits, which… ha ha. | 加起来 我们详细分析了他的饮食习惯 那个…哈哈 |
[11:01] | So I think we found it. We found the cause of his diabetes. | 我认为我们找到了 我们找到了他得糖尿病的原因 |
[11:06] | High fructose corn syrup. We’re filing today. | 高果糖玉米糖浆 我们今天就提出诉讼申请 |
[11:10] | You’re suing corn syrup. | 你要起诉玉米糖浆 |
[11:11] | Yes, the makers of it. | 是的 它的制造商 |
[11:13] | Do the makers of corn syrup market directly to the public? | 玉米糖浆的制造者 目标市场是公众么 |
[11:15] | Well, no. But I, I, I don’t see how… | 那 不 可我 我 我 我不明白… |
[11:18] | all right. | 好吧 |
[11:19] | You’re a partner. | 你是合伙人 |
[11:20] | You’re a hypocrite. | 你是伪君子 |
[11:21] | You lecture me on not being able to express my feelings. | 你教我不要去表达自己的感觉 |
[11:23] | Meanwhile, you keep your bottle up like one of Denny’s kidney stones. | 同时 你像Denny的肾结石那样压抑自己 |
[11:26] | Uh, you’re touching me. That’s battery. | 呃 你碰到我了 那是攻击 |
[11:28] | We had sex. | 我们上床了 |
[11:31] | Happy? | 高兴了? |
[11:32] | I said the word. | 我说了那个字眼 |
[11:34] | I am 34 years old. When I meet a man, I think long term. | 我34岁了 当我遇到一个男人 我想将来 |
[11:39] | “Is he potentially the father of my children?” | “他有可能是我孩子的父亲么” |
[11:41] | You’re not. Every now and again, I’ll think, “what the hell,” | 你不是 时不时 我会想 “管他呢” |
[11:44] | “have some fun in the short term”. | “曾经快乐就行” |
[11:46] | But not with somebody from the office. | 但不是和办公室里的人 |
[11:48] | Too messy. Too complicated. | 太难缠 太复杂 |
[11:51] | You should know better. | 你应该更清楚 |
[11:56] | He never told me he advised Mr. Mkeba to flee the jurisdiction. | 他从没告诉我 他建议Mkeba逃离管辖区域 |
[11:59] | He did not. He did not. | 他没有 他没有 |
[12:01] | Okay, okay. | 好的 好的 |
[12:02] | Well, after Mr. Mkeba did flee, | 那在Mkeba先生逃走之后 |
[12:05] | did the defendant indicate to you in any other way | 被告有没有暗示你 |
[12:07] | that he might have proffered this advice? | 他可能提供了这个建议 |
[12:09] | Nope. No, no, no. | 没有 没有 没有 没有 |
[12:11] | Well, then can you tell us, Mr. Espenson, why after Mr. Shore was arrested, | 那你告诉大家 Espenson先生 为何之后Shore先生被逮捕了呢 |
[12:16] | did you come racing to me to say it was all your fault | 你是来说服我 Shore先生让当事人逃跑 |
[12:19] | that Mr. Shore told the client to run? | 这都是你的错? |
[12:24] | What I said was, | 我说的是 |
[12:26] | if Mr. Shore gave such advice and I have no knowledge that he did… | 如果Shore先生给了那样的建议 而我并不知情… |
[12:30] | it was my fault since I had so totally screwed up Mr. Mkeba’s trial, | 那就是我的错 因为是我彻底搞砸了Mkeba的审讯 |
[12:34] | leaving him no option but to run. | 让他除了逃跑别无选择 |
[12:36] | Mr. Espenson, do you typically take responsibility | Espenson先生 你很喜欢 为别人做过的事承担责任么 |
[12:39] | for what other do even when you think they haven’t done it? | 即使你认为他们没做过? |
[12:48] | Nothing further. | 没有问题了 |
[12:52] | Denny, not now. The closing. | Denny 不是现在 等到结案陈词 |
[12:56] | No questions. | 没问题了 |
[13:02] | The truth is, we could sue the soft drink manufacturers | 事实上 我们可以起诉软饮料制造商 |
[13:05] | and the wheat and corn growers and the makers of all those sugary cereals. | 小麦和玉米的种植者 和所有那些甜食的制造者 |
[13:09] | We could even, perhaps, sue the federal government for not regulating these foods… | 我们甚至 也许 起诉联邦政府不管制这些食物… |
[13:13] | Did you know about this? | 你知道这事么 |
[13:15] | Of course not. | 当然不知道 |
[13:16] | We need to contact his doctor, find out what the hell is going on. | 我们需要联系他的医生 看看他到底怎么了 |
[13:19] | Start with L’il Jimmey’s Yum Dingers because this is what Bob… | 先从L’il Jimmey的Yum Dingers开始 因为这是Bob… |
[13:23] | Phil. | 是Phil |
[13:23] | Phil Mickle grew up eating more than anything else. | Phil Mickle成长时吃得最多的 |
[13:26] | My client has been… | 我的当事人已经… |
[13:27] | He’s suing a snack cake? | 他要起诉点心蛋糕? |
[13:28] | …consuming three packages of these delicious treats | …自从他5岁起每天都吃掉 |
[13:31] | every day of his life since he was 5 years old. | 3包这样的美味小吃 |
[13:34] | And we are going to prove that they are as deadly as cigarettes. | 而我们会证明它们和香烟一样有害 |
[13:40] | Did you see that turnout? | 你看到那么多人了么 |
[13:42] | It’ll be on every network news tonight. | 今晚每个电视新闻都会报道的 |
[13:44] | Edwin Poole is back. You know what? | Edwin Poole回来了 知道么? |
[13:46] | It’s a niche, Shirley. I can feel it. | 这是个机会 Shirley 我能感觉到 |
[13:48] | I’m gonna be the lawyer who brings down big sugar. | 我将会成为告倒大糖果公司的律师 |
[13:51] | Edwin | Edwin. |
[13:51] | Yeah? | 什么事? |
[13:52] | Have a seat. | 请坐 |
[13:52] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[13:58] | Edwin | Edwin. |
[14:00] | You just sued the Lillian Corporation. | 你刚才要起诉Lillian公司 |
[14:03] | And it feels good. | 而这感觉不错 |
[14:04] | You called their snack cakes poison, deadlier than cigarettes. | 你称他们的点心蛋糕是毒药 比香烟更毒 |
[14:07] | I stand behind it. | 我支持这一点 |
[14:08] | They could sue you, Edwin, and us. | 他们可以告你 Edwin 还有我们 |
[14:11] | Oh, stop it. | 哦 打住 |
[14:12] | Don’t be silly. I have qualified immunity. | 别傻了 我有豁免权 |
[14:14] | Only for what you say in court. | 只有当你在庭上说时才有效 |
[14:17] | That immunity does not extend to press conferences, Edwin. | 豁免权不能包括记者招待会 Edwin |
[14:20] | You just accused the world’s largest vertically integrated conglomerate of selling poison. | 你刚指控世上最大最顶尖的联合企业 销售毒药 |
[14:26] | And you did it in your capacity as a lawyer of this law firm. | 而你是在你作为律师的公司里说的 |
[14:51] | They brought a motion to dismiss, | 他们提出了驳回指控的动议 |
[14:53] | and they’ve counterclaimed for defamation. | 他们已经起诉我们诽谤了 |
[14:55] | Now we’re the target. | 现在我们是目标了 |
[14:56] | They didn’t waste any time. | 他们动作真快 |
[14:58] | They’re also deposing Phil this morning. | 今早他们也已经向Phil取了证词 |
[15:00] | What about notice? | 正式通知呢? |
[15:01] | I waived it in the hopes of getting them in the room today. | 我放弃了 希望换来和谈 |
[15:05] | If we agree to dismiss Phil’s claim, | 如果我们同意撤消Phil的索赔 |
[15:07] | maybe I can get them to drop the suit against us. | 也许我能让他们放弃对我们的起诉 |
[15:10] | And this whole thing will go away. | 这事就能解决了 |
[15:12] | Now how do we get Edwin to go away? | 那我们怎么解决Edwin呢 |
[15:14] | Let’s just deal with this case first, then we’ll turn to Edwin. | 让我们先处理这案子吧 然后再到Edwin |
[15:22] | Mr. Shore informed me that we would lose the trial, | Shore先生告诉我 我们可能会输掉官司 |
[15:26] | and that I would be convicted. | 我将会被宣告有罪 |
[15:28] | Of attempted murder? | 企图谋杀? |
[15:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:30] | What else did Mr. Shore say, Mr. Mkeba? | Shore先生还说了什么么 Mkeba先生 |
[15:33] | He told me that perhaps my only option at avoiding prison was to run, | 他告诉我可能 唯一不用坐牢的选择就是逃跑 |
[15:37] | but as a member of the bar, he could not advise me to do so. | 但作为律师公会会员 他不会建议我那么做 |
[15:41] | Now you interpreted Mr. Shore’s statement | 那你理解Shore先生的话 |
[15:43] | to mean that you should flee the jurisdiction? | 是让你逃离管辖区域? |
[15:45] | Objection. Leading. | 反对 误导证人 |
[15:46] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[15:47] | How did you interpret Mr. Shore’s statement? | 那你怎么理解Shore先生的话 |
[15:50] | And I would remind you, sir, you are under oath. | 我要提醒你 先生 你已经宣过誓了 |
[15:53] | I guess I felt that if he were in my shoes, he would run. | 我猜意思是 如果他是我 他会跑 |
[15:59] | But as a lawyer, he was not allowed to advise me to do so. | 但作为一名律师 他不被允许那么建议我 |
[16:04] | Yes, and as a result of this communication with Mr. Shore, what did you do? | 是的 和Shore先生交流之后 你做了什么 |
[16:09] | I fled to Canada. | 我逃到加拿大 |
[16:10] | You were captured and brought back? | 你被抓住并遣返回来? |
[16:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:14] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 |
[16:18] | Denny, not until the close. | Denny 还没到结案陈词 |
[16:23] | So, Mr. Mkeba, as I understand it, | 那么 Mkeba先生 正如我理解的 |
[16:26] | I specifically told you I could not advise you to run? | 我明确的告诉你我不能建议你逃跑? |
[16:31] | That’s correct. | 是的 |
[16:33] | Nothing further. | 没问题了 |
[16:35] | Mr. Kupfer? | Kupfer先生? |
[16:37] | The prosecution rests, your Honor. | 可以休庭了 法官大人 |
[16:40] | The witness is excused. | 证人可以离开了 |
[16:45] | Your Honor, at this time, the defense moves for a directed verdict of not guilty. | 法官大人 辩方要求直接裁定无罪 |
[16:48] | The prosecution has failed to make a case. | 因为诉讼过程没能举出一个论据 |
[16:50] | Denied. | 拒绝 |
[16:51] | Fine, then we’d like to call our first witness. | 好吧 那我想请出我们第一位证人 |
[16:54] | Ladies and gentlemen… ADA Douglas Kupfer. | 女士们先生们… 有请ADA Douglas Kupfer |
[16:57] | You can’t call him. | 你不能传讯他 |
[16:59] | It’s not unprecedented, your Honor, | 这不是没有先例的 法官大人 |
[17:01] | especially when defense goes to bias. The only reason I’m on trial… | 尤其是当控方对被告有偏见时 这也是我在这的唯一原因… |
[17:04] | Objection. | 反对 |
[17:05] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[17:06] | Mr. Shore, the court instructed you not to poop. | Shore先生 法庭告诉过你不要捣乱 |
[17:11] | Beside, judge. | 请求近距离说话 法官大人 |
[17:19] | The only reason I’m on trial is him. | 我要受审的唯一原因就是他 |
[17:21] | I should be allowed to cross-examine him on motive. | 我应该被允许对他的动机进行交叉询问 |
[17:24] | My courtroom will not be turned into a sideshow. I told you… | 我的法庭不会变成杂耍表演场 我告诉过你… |
[17:28] | Your Honor, I have no problem testifying. | 法官大人 我可以出庭做供 |
[17:31] | In fact, since Mr. shore rang the bias bell in front of the jury, | 事实上 自从Shore先生在陪审团面前 打出偏见这张牌 |
[17:35] | I’d appreciate the chance to refute the attack. | 我很乐意有机会去反驳他 |
[17:37] | It is highly unorthodox… | 这是很不合规矩的 |
[17:40] | Yes, but as Mr. Shore pointed out, not unprecedented. | 是的 可正如Shore先生指出的 也不是没有先例 |
[17:43] | Your Honor, let just do this. Let the, uh, defendant take his shot. | 法官大人 就这么办吧 让被告自打嘴巴吧 |
[17:51] | Ah… | 呃 |
[17:53] | I think if we agree to withdraw the case | 我想在产生大量的律师费之前 |
[17:56] | now before generating massive attorney fees… | 如果我们同意撤消案件 |
[17:58] | It’s a little late to be singing “Let’s call the whole thing off,” Ms. Schmidt. | Schmidt女士 要唱”让一切结束吧” 有点晚了吧 |
[18:02] | Your colleague declared us to be poison manufacturers to the whole world. | 你的同事向全世界宣告 我们是毒药的生产者 |
[18:05] | Which he regrets. | 他已经后悔这么做了 |
[18:07] | I do. It was all my idea. | 是的 这都是我的主意 |
[18:09] | Yes, well, if only contrition could make us whole. | 是的 假如后悔就能使我们毫发无伤 |
[18:12] | We have assembled to conduct Mr. Mickle’s deposition. | 我们已经收集了Mickle先生的证词 |
[18:15] | You waived notice. I see… | 你放弃了正式通知 我明白… |
[18:16] | Look, if this goes forward, it will only bring more publicity to an idea that… | 听着 如果继续下去的话 只会让更多的公众认为… |
[18:19] | Mr. Mickle is not the first overweight person | Mickle先生不是第一个把他的肥胖 |
[18:22] | to pin the responsibility for his obesity on us. | 归咎于我们的超重的人 |
[18:24] | We look at it as test case. | 我们把它当作试验案件 |
[18:26] | Now, should we proceed with the deposition, or should we take a break for a snack? | 现在 我们应该继续取证 或者应该休息下吃个点心? |
[18:37] | Let’s dismiss and then pay court costs. | 让我们撤消起诉 支付法庭费用吧 |
[18:39] | I don’t want to settle. | 我不想妥协 |
[18:40] | Phil, if they go after you for defamation… | Phil 如果他们非要起诉你的诽谤… |
[18:42] | They already are. | 他们已经在做了 |
[18:44] | The fight is on. | 这一仗要继续打 |
[18:51] | So how would you describe me to your friends? | 你怎么能把我描述成你的朋友? |
[18:53] | I’m curious. | 我很好奇 |
[18:55] | I really don’t see what difference that would make. | 我真不明白那有什么不同 |
[18:59] | I’d like to know. | 我想知道 |
[19:00] | Brad | Brad. |
[19:01] | I’d like to know, please. | 我想知道 说吧 |
[19:02] | Okay. Well, um… | 好吧 呃… |
[19:04] | I guess I would describe you as, uh… | 我想我会形容你作 呃… |
[19:08] | Buzz Light-year. | 巴斯光年(一个卡通人物) |
[19:10] | You thing I’m Buzz Lightyear? | 你认为我是巴斯光年? |
[19:11] | You’re very military. | 你很军事化 |
[19:13] | Brad, my idea of how to wind down after a tough day is to pour a glass of wine, | Brad 我觉得在辛苦了一天之后 最好是倒上一杯酒 |
[19:18] | light a candle and get into a hot bubble bath with my partner. | 点上蜡烛 和我的另一半浸个泡泡浴 |
[19:22] | Can you ever see yourself doing that? | 你能想像你会那么做么? |
[19:24] | Well, it’s just alcohol and extreme temperatures. | 那只是酒精和高温而已 |
[19:27] | We’re complete opposites. | 我们完全不同 |
[19:29] | You know that. Come on. | 你知道的 别这样了 |
[19:31] | You haven’t the slightest idea of who I am. | 你完全不了解我 |
[19:42] | I’m not saying I got fat only because of L’il Jimmey’s. | 我不是说因为 吃了L’il Jimmey的食物才胖的 |
[19:46] | I ate the bad cereals, soda pops, brownies, cookies. | 我还吃不健康的谷物 汽水 布朗尼蛋糕 饼干 |
[19:50] | I’ve had a sweet tooth since I was 2. | 我从2岁起喜欢吃甜食 |
[19:52] | Yes, but L’il Jimmey’s is the only one that you’re suing. | 是的 可L’il Jimmey是你唯一起诉的 |
[19:54] | Well, I was addicted to them. | 我对它们上瘾 |
[19:56] | You know, whenever I had sugar low | 你知道 只要我感觉吃得糖少了 |
[19:58] | or I was feeling depressed, uh, I’d eat… eat a box of them. | 或感觉沮丧 呃 我就吃…吃上一箱的 |
[20:01] | And that’s what caused your diabetes? | 那就是你得糖尿病的原因 |
[20:05] | She’s a skinny. | 她真是个瘦子 |
[20:06] | Phil | Phil. |
[20:06] | No, I… I know the way skinnies think of fat people. | 不 我…我知道瘦人怎么看待胖人 |
[20:09] | And diabetics, like lung cancer victims and smokers, | 糖尿病患者 好比肺癌受害者和烟民 |
[20:12] | “We did it to ourselves,” right? | “我们自作自受” 对么? |
[20:14] | Well, I didn’t eat three boxes a day. | 我可没有一天吃掉三盒 |
[20:16] | Did you read the labels on those boxes, Mr. Mickle? | 你读了盒上的标签么 Mickle先生 |
[20:19] | Did you see the calorie count? Were you able to perform basic math? | 你看到热量的总数么? 你会不会基本的算术呢? |
[20:22] | I was addicted, thin mint. | 我上瘾了 巧克力面小蛋糕 |
[20:23] | All right. | 好了 |
[20:24] | Let the record reflect that he called me food. | 从纪录里瞧瞧他称为食物的东西 |
[20:26] | A cookie, no less. | 一个饼干不少 |
[20:27] | Ms. Marino, you’ve been rude. | Marino女士 你很无礼 |
[20:29] | And I might also point out that we are not the first people | 我也要指出 我们不是第一个把 |
[20:31] | to connect junk food with diabetes. | 垃圾食品和糖尿病联系起来的人 |
[20:33] | Did a medical professional ever connect your diabetes, | 有哪个药学专家曾把你的糖尿病 |
[20:36] | specifically, to L’il Jimmey’s snack cakes? | 明确的 和L’il Jimmey的 点心蛋糕联系起来么? |
[20:38] | Well, m, my doctor said my intake of sugar was too high and… | 呃 我的医生说我的糖摄入量太高… |
[20:41] | But did he connect specifically your diabetes… | 但他明确把你的糖尿病… |
[20:44] | Yes! He knew I was eating box after box of L’il Jimmey’s, | 是的! 他知道我吃掉整盒的 L’il Jimmey |
[20:47] | and he told me to stop, but I was addicted. | 他叫我不要再吃 可我上瘾了 |
[20:49] | Did he use the word “addicted,” or is that yours? | 他说”上瘾” 还是你自己说的? |
[20:53] | It’s mine. | 我说的 |
[20:53] | Did he ever say, “eat less”? | 他有没有说”少吃点”? |
[20:55] | Objection! Rudeness. | 反对!太无礼了 |
[20:57] | What? You can answer. | 什么?你可以回答了 |
[20:59] | And when you claim our product poisoned you, | 当你声称我们的产品毒害了你 |
[21:01] | do you have any evidence of that? | 你有什么证据么? |
[21:04] | Do you talk dismissive like that, to everybody, or just me? | 你这么轻蔑的说话 是对每个人 还是只对我? |
[21:08] | I wasn’t in a dismissive mood when you tried to wiggle out of this lawsuit, was I? | 当你尝试撤回这诉讼时 我不会是轻蔑的情绪 不是么 |
[21:12] | You know what, Vivian? | 知道么 Vivian |
[21:13] | You’re starting to piss me off. | 你开始激怒我了 |
[21:16] | Your client sued us. | 你的当事人起诉我们 |
[21:17] | What’d you think, I was gonna come in here all sugar and spice? | 你觉得我应该带着糖果来这里吗? |
[21:20] | Oh, well, perhaps you would’ve liked that. | 哦 可能你会喜欢那样 |
[21:22] | Consider my willingness to drop this case revoked, | 我现在不想撤消这诉讼申请了 |
[21:25] | you skinny little bitch. | 你这个骨瘦如柴的小贱人 |
[21:31] | You were wonderful, Shirley. | 你真棒啊 Shirley |
[21:33] | No, I’m serious. You were brilliant. My God, it was… | 不 我是认真的 你是天才 我的天 那是… |
[21:35] | What’s the word? You, uh… | 怎么说来着?你 呃… |
[21:37] | Escalated a situation I was hoping to quash? | 把本希望取消的事态升级了? |
[21:39] | That’s it. | 就是这意思 |
[21:41] | Edwin | Edwin. |
[21:42] | Do you have any medical or scientific research | 你做了什么医学或科学研究么? |
[21:44] | to back the claims laid out in our complaint? | 支持我们提出的诉讼请求 |
[21:46] | Not a shred, but we’re just getting started. | 一点也没有 可我们刚要开始呢 |
[21:48] | We’ll do that research, | 我们会做那些调查的 |
[21:50] | you and I, burning the midnight oil like the old days, huh? | 你和我 像以前那样熬夜工作 哈? |
[21:52] | You may not get an opportunity to do research, | 你可能没有机会去调查了 |
[21:55] | if the claim is dismissed tomorrow, which, at the moment, seems extremely likely. | 如果明天诉讼请求被驳回 很有可能 |
[21:59] | Tosh. | 胡说 |
[22:00] | Edwin, have you prepared anything for the hearing? | Edwin 你为预审准备了什么么? |
[22:04] | Not a thing. | 完全没有 |
[22:07] | Okay, then, I’ll… I’ll have to prepare something myself. | 好吧 那我就自己去准备了 |
[22:10] | Yes! | 好的! |
[22:11] | Uh, and… and, Edwin. | 呃 还有…还有 Edwin |
[22:13] | I’ll need you to leave me alone so that I can concentrate. | 我想单独呆着 能集中精神 |
[22:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:18] | And, Edwin. | 还有 Edwin |
[22:20] | What I really need is for you not to sue anyone else. | 我真正需要你做的是 不要再起诉任何别人了 |
[22:25] | Yes. | 好的 |
[22:27] | You can do it, Shirley. I know you can. | 你能做到的 Shirley 我知道你行 |
[22:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[22:40] | You’re thinking. | 你在思考 |
[22:41] | There was a day I used to do that. | 以前我也做过这样的事 |
[22:46] | I’m thinking this may be a mistake, putting Kupfer on the stand. | 我在想 让Kupfer作供可能是个错误 |
[22:49] | It gives him the opportunity to put prior bad acts in evidence, | 这给了他机会 摆出之前的错误行为的证据 |
[22:52] | which is obviously why he so readily agreed. | 那很明显为何他欣然同意 |
[22:54] | If he does that, he gives you grounds for a mistrial. | 如果他那么做 他给了你争取无效审判的机会 |
[22:56] | Not if I’ve opened the door. | 如果不是我开了头 |
[22:58] | I’ve gotta be very careful, Denny. | 我必须非常小心 Denny |
[23:00] | I could end up sinking myself here, | 我可能会在这把自己埋了 |
[23:01] | which, I have a a feeling, he knows all too well. | 我有种感觉 他太了解了 |
[23:05] | Maybe we should just rest. His case is thin. | 也许我们应该休息下 他的案子很简单 |
[23:08] | But possibly enough. | 但可能够了 |
[23:11] | And if I lose, never mind jail. | 如果我输了 不介意坐牢 |
[23:14] | These are felony charges. My law career would be over. | 这些是重罪 我的律师生涯将会结束 |
[23:18] | And that never used to bother me. | 以前这才不会让我困扰 |
[23:19] | Well, it bothers you because as you get older, your priority change. | 因为你老了 你的优先原则改变了 |
[23:23] | You begin to realize… | 你开始意识到… |
[23:24] | what really matters… money. | 你真正在乎的…是钱 |
[23:30] | I’ve never seen you look so nervous. | 我从没见你如此紧张 |
[23:32] | Well, except for night terrors and the clowns | 除了夜惊 小丑 |
[23:34] | and the girl and the word salad. | 女孩 语无伦次 |
[23:37] | I’ve never kidded myself. I’ve always known how it would end for me. | 我从不欺骗自己 我一直都知道自己是什么下场 |
[23:40] | I’m just not ready for it yet. | 我只是还没准备好 |
[23:43] | But what you keep forgetting is at the end of the day, | 可你总是忘了 结束那天 |
[23:48] | you always have me. | 你有我陪着 |
[24:11] | I’m into rock climbing, competitive biking. | 我正迷上攀岩 自行车竞赛 |
[24:14] | I want a woman who can keep up with me both physically | 我想找一个能在身体和精神上 |
[24:17] | as well as intellectually and who is also incredibly hot. | 和我保持一致的 而且要非常性感的女人 |
[24:21] | That’s who I am. | 这才是我 |
[24:22] | I’ve given it some thought, and you’re right. | 我仔细想过了 你是对的 |
[24:24] | There’s no romantic future between us, I value our friendship. | 我们之间没有浪漫的未来 我更珍惜我们之间的友谊 |
[24:27] | I don’t want to screw that up. | 我不想破坏它 |
[24:29] | So if you’re okay with going back to the way things were, so am I. | 如果你愿意回到以前那样 我也一样 |
[24:32] | Just friends? | 只是朋友? |
[24:33] | Just friends. | 只是朋友 |
[24:44] | Conspiracy to aid a defendant to avoid prosecution. | 参与帮助被告逃脱检控 |
[24:49] | Isn’t that a defense lawyer’s job? | 难道不是辩护律师的职责么 |
[24:51] | Within the bounds of the law. | 要在法律约束范围内 |
[24:52] | Okay, but certainly, if I were to advise a client, | 好吧 但肯定的是 如果你建议一个当事人 |
[24:55] | do not tell the police the truth, that would be okay? | 不要告诉警察真相 那可以么 |
[24:58] | But if you advised him to lie, it would not. | 但你不能建议他撒谎 那不行 |
[25:01] | And you took it a step further. | 你的行动过了头 |
[25:02] | You advised your client to jump bail, to flee the jurisdiction. | 你建议你的当事人弃保潜逃 |
[25:07] | No, I told him it was his only option. | 没有 我告诉他这是唯一的选择 |
[25:09] | Same thing. | 都一样的 |
[25:09] | No, but come on, | 不 可想想 |
[25:10] | if the client comes to me and says, | 如果这个当事人来找我说 |
[25:12] | “Gee, as I look at things,” | “糟糕 照我看” |
[25:14] | “it seems my only real shot at avoiding prison is to run,” | “好象唯一不用坐牢的方法只有逃跑” |
[25:17] | and it happened to be true, I have a legal obligation to lie to my client, to disagree? | 而这正巧是事实 我有法律义务去骗他说 我不这么认为? |
[25:22] | No, but… | 不是 但… |
[25:23] | And yet if I agree, I’ve committed a crime? | 而如果我同意了 我就犯罪了? |
[25:26] | If that agreement can be construe as advising him to flee, yes, it’s a crime, | 如果同意可以构成建议他逃跑的一部分 是的 那就是犯罪 |
[25:30] | and by the way, your client didn’t come to you and lay it all out. | 顺便说 你的当事人没有去找你 并说出那番话 |
[25:33] | You laid it out to him, which crosses the line. | 是你对他说了那翻话 这就越界了 |
[25:36] | I expressly told him I was not allowed to advise him to flee. | 我清楚地告诉他 我不能建议他逃跑 |
[25:40] | While conveying to him all the while that that is exactly what he should do. | 但始终传达给他了他应该怎么做的确切信息 |
[25:45] | But I’m a kidder. You know that. | 但我是个开玩笑的人 你知道的 |
[25:47] | I offered you $10,000 to drop this, did I not? | 我给你1万元放弃这个 不是么 |
[25:51] | Yes, as either a transparent attempt to entrap me | 是的 不是一个明显的陷阱 |
[25:55] | or a demented plan to have me recused. | 就是个想我被取消资格的疯狂计划 |
[25:58] | The point is, you didn’t take me seriously. | 关键是 你没把我的话当真 |
[26:00] | But you claim I was serious with Mr. Mkeba. | 但你声称我是严肃和Mkeba先生说的 |
[26:03] | You seem to know this beyond all reasonable doubt, in fact, | 实际上 你似乎知道 这超过了合理疑点的范围 |
[26:06] | which, given you weren’t even there… | 考虑到你当时不在场… |
[26:08] | Do you think that you’re fooling anybody? | 你认为你在糊弄谁? |
[26:09] | Do you, Mr. Kupfer? This is a personal grudge. | 你在糊弄谁 Kupfer先生? 这是个人恩怨 |
[26:12] | No, it isn’t. However much I… | 不 不是 不管我多么… |
[26:13] | It’s becoming jibber-jabber. | 这快变成闲聊了 |
[26:15] | Did you not say in judge Thompson’s courtroom two weeks ago | 两周前 你没有在Thompson法官的法庭里 |
[26:20] | that you would like to see me suffer? | 说你很想看到我受罪么 |
[26:21] | No. | 没有 |
[26:22] | You said your only fear was that someone would stab me | 你说你唯一害怕是有人在你之前 |
[26:26] | before you would get the chance to take me down. | 找到机会打击我 |
[26:28] | Is it your testimony to this jury that you do not hold a grudge against me? | 你是要对这陪审团说你对我没有敌意么 |
[26:32] | It’s my testimony that that grudge is not in play. | 我的证词是 这次并不涉及对你的怨恨 |
[26:35] | It’s not in play? | 不涉及么 |
[26:36] | No, it is not. | 不 没有 |
[26:37] | Admittedly, I do not like you. | 无可否认 我不喜欢你 |
[26:39] | It makes me happy to be prosecuting you… | 起诉你让我很开心… |
[26:40] | You despise me. | 你蔑视我 |
[26:42] | All right. | 好吧 |
[26:44] | Tell us why. | 告诉我原因 |
[26:47] | Oh, you would love for me to tell you why. | 哦 你当然告诉我说出原因 |
[26:49] | That would be grounds for a mistrial. No. | 那就是无效审判成立了 我不说 |
[26:51] | My grudge makes this prosecution a little more thrilling, | 我的个人感情使这次检控程序受到威胁 |
[26:54] | but you’re on trail because you broke the law. | 但你被审讯是因为你触犯了法律 |
[26:57] | Objection. Calls for a legal ruling. | 反对 还没定罪呢 |
[26:59] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[26:59] | You advised a client accused of attempted murder to flee. | 你建议个被指控企图谋杀的当时人逃跑 |
[27:02] | That’s a crime. | 那就是犯罪 |
[27:03] | Objection. | 反对 |
[27:04] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[27:04] | Perhaps you’d like to take the stand now, | 也许你喜欢出庭作证 |
[27:06] | put your character in issue? | 在争论中展现你的个性 |
[27:10] | My client trusted me to tell him the truth, which trust I honored. | 我的当时人信任我会告诉他们真相 让我感到自豪的信任 |
[27:15] | That’s my character, Mr. Kupfer. | 那就是我的个性 Kupfer先生 |
[27:25] | Well, they calendared the meeting for later on this afternoon. | 他们把会议日期定在今天下午晚些时候 |
[27:28] | No, I know it’s bogus. | 不 我知道它是伪造的 |
[27:35] | But I could be there in about a half-hour. | 但我可在约半小时赶到 |
[27:37] | I love it when he goes to court. | 我太爱他要上庭时了 |
[27:54] | No doctor or medical professional has ever linked his diabetes | 没有任何医生或药剂专家 曾经把糖尿病 |
[27:59] | to L’il Jimmey’s snack cakes. | 和L’il Jimmey的点心饼干联系起来 |
[28:01] | And even if they could, so what? | 即使它们可以 那又怎样 |
[28:03] | All the information Mr. Mickle needed to make | Mickle先生所需要知道的 |
[28:05] | his informed dietary decision was right there on the label. | 关于他的膳食的成分都写在了标签上 |
[28:09] | My God, when are people going to start taking responsibility? | 我的天 人们何时才打算承担自己的责任呢 |
[28:12] | This man snorted down three boxes a day, | 这个人一天一口气吃下3盒 |
[28:15] | not to mention the soft drinks and the potato chips. | 更别提那些软饮料和薯条了 |
[28:18] | The only exercise he got was reaching for the cookie jar, and he wants to blame us? | 他唯一的运动就是伸手拿饼干罐 他想要归咎于我们 |
[28:21] | Then what? We outlaw desserts altogether, | 那又如何 我们宣告所有的甜点的不合法的 |
[28:23] | we criminalize the cupcake | 我们说纸托蛋糕有罪 |
[28:25] | because people cannot be expected to eat in moderation? | 因为人们不会控制适度的摄入量 |
[28:28] | It’s ridiculous. | 真的讽刺 |
[28:30] | Mr. Mickle wants to be able to snack and sue. | Mickle先生想吃小吃又想起诉 |
[28:34] | He wants to have his cake and eat it, too, and enough is enough. | 他想拥有蛋糕却又想吃掉 太过分了 |
[28:38] | That’s one word this plaintiff can’t seem to appreciate… | 这个词是原告人不会理解的… |
[28:42] | “Enough”. | “够了” |
[28:51] | “Yellow dye tartrazine,” which is a coal tar derivative, | “染黄的酒石黄”是一种煤焦油的衍生物 |
[28:54] | “Blue dye triphenylmethane,” which is a petroleum based product. | “染蓝的三苯甲烷”是石油的基础产物 |
[28:58] | “Red dye carminic acid,” which is derived from the carcasses of the cochineal beetle. | “染红用的胭脂酸”是来自胭脂虫的 尸体的衍生物 |
[29:02] | I’m sorry. Did you say cochineal beetle? | 打扰一下 你是说胭脂虫么 |
[29:05] | Carcasses, that’s right. | 是它们的尸体 对的 |
[29:06] | “Partially hydrogenated vegetable or animal shortening,” | “部分氢化的蔬菜和动物脂肪” |
[29:10] | Which is beef fat, pork gelatin, | 比如牛肉脂肪 猪肉凝胶 |
[29:12] | which is made from boiled bones, tendons and skin of pigs. | 后者来自煮沸的骨头 腱子和猪皮 |
[29:15] | Uh, so far, we’re up to motor oil, bugs, road tar and pig bones. | 呃,至今,我们已经有了用于机械的石油 虫子,铺路用的柏油和猪骨头 |
[29:21] | So far she hasn’t named a thing | 目前为止 她没能确切指出一样东西 So far she hasn’t named a thing |
[29:23] | that isn’t in the majority of cookies and snack cakes. | 不是在大多数饼干和点心蛋糕里都有的 |
[29:26] | And isn’t that scary? | 那就不可怕了么 |
[29:27] | No, what’s scary is that we’re being singled out. | 不 可怕的是我们被选中了 |
[29:31] | Yes, it has us all terrified. May I continue? | 是的 这让我们都很恐惧 我可以继续么 |
[29:34] | “Bleached white flour”… | “漂白的面粉” |
[29:35] | the common ingredient used to bleach flour is chloride oxide, | 用来漂白的共同成分的氯的氧化物 |
[29:38] | the use of which has been linked to destruction of the pancreas | 这种成分被证实与胰腺的损伤有关 |
[29:42] | and a form of type 2 diabetes. | 也是形成2类糖尿病有关系 |
[29:45] | And finally, the biggie, “high-fructose corn syrup”. | 最后 也是最严重的 “高果糖玉米糖浆” |
[29:49] | This product does not metabolize as a normal sugar in the body, | 这产品不会象 正常的糖那样在身体里代谢 |
[29:53] | and it prevents a certain hormone, lepton, from reaching the brain. | 它阻止了一种叫雷普顿 的荷尔蒙达到脑部 |
[29:57] | This hormone normally sends a signal to the brain that | 正常情况下这种荷尔蒙会向脑部发出 |
[29:59] | your stomach is full and tells you to stop eating, | 你的胃已经饱了的信号 告诉你不要再吃了 |
[30:02] | but whenever you eat anything with high-fructose corn syrup, | 但只要你吃了任何含有 高果糖玉米糖浆的食物 |
[30:06] | your brain thinks it’s not full, and so you keep eating and eating and eating. | 你的大脑会认为还没饱 所以你会一直吃一直吃 |
[30:12] | This product, like many dessert cakes, | 这个产品 像很多甜品蛋糕 |
[30:15] | is addictive and causes diabetes, and that is what this lawsuit will show. | 是会上瘾和导致糖尿病的 这就是这场诉讼的原因 |
[30:20] | As for defense counsel’s remark that the whole thing is ridiculous, | 鉴于辩方律师认为整件事很荒唐 |
[30:24] | is it? | 是么 |
[30:25] | The rate of diabetes has increased 80% in the last decade. | 在过去的10年里糖尿病的发病率提高了80% |
[30:30] | Nearly 21 million Americans have diabetes. | 将近2千1百万美国人患有糖尿病 |
[30:34] | One in three children will get it in their lifetime. | 三分之一的孩子会发病 |
[30:38] | I just want to say that again, one in three children. | 我只想重复一次 三个孩子里就有一个会发病 |
[30:42] | These companies are corporate drug dealers | 这些公司是共同的药贩子 |
[30:44] | their products are killing our children. | 他们的产品会毒害我们的孩子 |
[30:46] | Objection. This is beyond inflammatory. | 反对 这是在误导 |
[30:48] | Is it? One in three children? | 是么?三分之一的孩子? |
[30:51] | You market to children. | 你们的销售对象就是孩子 |
[30:53] | At least tobacco companies say on the packages that cigarettes can kill you. | 至少烟草公司会在包装盒上写 吸烟有害健康 |
[30:59] | And you have the temerity to accuse my client of not taking responsibility? | 而你们却不顾后果地 控诉我的当事人不负责任 |
[31:23] | He effectively counseled his client to skip trial and run. | 他有效地劝告他的当事人 跳过审讯而逃跑 |
[31:28] | Now he prefaced this by saying | 现在他对这一切的开场白却是 |
[31:31] | he was not legally permitted to give such advice, but come on. | 法律上他不被允许给出这样的建议 可别逗了 |
[31:35] | He gave it all the same. And the client did, in fact, flee. | 他还是这么做了 而实际上 他的当事人也逃跑了 |
[31:39] | Now do I have a grudge against the defendant? | 我是否对被告有敌意呢 |
[31:43] | Yes, I do. | 是的 |
[31:45] | But as I said in that witness chair, | 可正如我在证人席上所说的 |
[31:48] | we are not here today because of my hard feelings. | 我们今天在这不是因为我的个人怨恨 |
[31:51] | We are here because Alan Shore broke the law… | 我们在这是因为 Alan Shore触犯了法律 |
[31:55] | A law he is not above, | 一条他不应该凌驾的法律 |
[31:59] | a law that the 12 of you… | 一条你们12个人… |
[32:02] | took an oath out uphold. | 宣誓要捍卫的法律 |
[32:15] | Denny | Denny. |
[32:17] | It’s the closing. | 到结案陈词了 |
[32:19] | This would be the time to talk. | 到时间说话了 |
[32:26] | Pregnant pause, man. | 玩深沉而已 |
[32:38] | Who the hell are we kidding? | 到底是谁在开玩笑? |
[32:39] | Defense attorneys make their living | 辩护律师靠帮助当事人 |
[32:42] | helping their clients get away with murder. | 洗脱谋杀罪名而谋生 |
[32:44] | We put rapists back on the street, knowing they’re gonna rape again. | 我们把强奸犯放回街上 知道他们还会再去强奸 |
[32:48] | Let’s not pretend we don’t aid and abet crime. | 别假装从没协助过犯罪吧 |
[32:50] | The key is, make sure we cover our asses. | 关键是 要确保我们能自保 |
[32:54] | Attorneys do that better than anybody. | 律师比别人更善于这么做 |
[32:57] | No, uh, Alan Shore covered his. | 不 Alan Shore保护他自己罢了 |
[33:00] | He knew he couldn’t legally advise Mr. Mkeba to run, | 他知道他不能合法的劝告Mkeba先生逃跑 |
[33:03] | and he expressly said he couldn’t give him such advice. | 而且他坦白说了 他不能给他这样的建议 |
[33:06] | Did Mr. Mkeba get the message anyway? Sure. But technically, | Mkeba先生接受到这个信息了么 当然 但严格的说 |
[33:13] | Alan Shore didn’t break the law. | Alan Shore没有触犯法律 |
[33:16] | Ass covered, over and out. | 自我保护而已 就这样 |
[33:18] | Not guilty. Simple as that. | 无罪 就那么简单 |
[33:19] | Oh, and here’s another thing… | 哦 还有另一件事… |
[33:21] | about asses. | 关于屁股的 |
[33:24] | Told you. We’ll get to you in a second. | 告诉你们 一下就能让你们明白 |
[33:26] | If you have too much success against the DA’s office, and… | 如果在和地方检察院的竞争时 你赢得太多的话… |
[33:29] | and Alan Shore has had a lot, especially against this puts beats him every time. | Alan Shore赢得太多了 尤其是这个人 每次都只有挨打的份 |
[33:33] | Objection. | 反对 |
[33:33] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[33:34] | Mr. Crane… | Crane先生… |
[33:36] | I’m sorry, your Honor. | 很抱歉 法官大人 |
[33:38] | Too much success, eventually, | 太多胜利 最终 |
[33:41] | you get a giant bull’s eye painted on your bottom. | 就会在你屁股上形成个巨大的牛眼 |
[33:46] | Objection. | 反对 |
[33:48] | Sustained. Mr. Crane! | 反对有效 Crane先生! |
[33:50] | I’m just trying to make a point, your Honor. | 我正在说明我的观点 法官大人 |
[33:52] | Alan Shore was a target. | Alan Shore是一个目标 |
[33:54] | He’s got a bigger bull’s eye on his ass than I have on mine, | 他屁股上的牛眼比我的大多了 |
[33:57] | and this man, Douglas Kupfer, is aiming for it. | 就是瞄准了它 |
[34:01] | Said he wanted to stab him. That’s subtle. | 说他想要打击他 真狡猾 |
[34:04] | This is a vendetta. | 这只是复仇而已 |
[34:05] | He wants my client any way. He can get him. | 他就是想要我的当事人 他逮到机会了 |
[34:08] | That’s the only reason we’re here. Over and out. | 那就是今天我们来这的原因 就这样 |
[34:10] | Reasonable doubt. You all know that. | 合理疑点 你们都了解了 |
[34:13] | Last name, Crane. First name, Denny. | 姓氏 Crane 名字 Denny |
[34:16] | Not guilty. | 无罪 |
[34:18] | Over and out. | 就这样 |
[34:32] | I’ve read the complaint. | 我已研究了你们的书面陈诉 |
[34:35] | I can see no detailed evidence which would allow me to hold the defendant liable. | 我没看到让我支持被告的具体证据 |
[34:39] | Nor can I conclude these charges cannot be established during discovery. | 在进一步调查前 我不支持驳回诉讼请求 |
[34:44] | The emerging research today is increasingly indicating | 如今出现的研究日益显示了 |
[34:47] | that the major cause of disease and death | 在美国 我们国家的食物供应 |
[34:49] | in the United States is our national food supply. | 是导致疾病和死亡的主要原因 |
[34:52] | The defendant’s motion to dismiss is therefore denied. | 被告要求驳回诉讼的动议被否决 |
[34:56] | We’ll confer and get a trial date. Adjourned. | 择日开庭 现在休庭 |
[35:01] | You did it, Shirley. | 你做到了 Shirley |
[35:03] | So the fight’s on? | 要继续打仗了? |
[35:04] | The fight is on. | 继续打仗 |
[35:09] | If you dismiss the claim of your own accord, | 如果你们撤消你们协议的声明 |
[35:11] | we will agree to withdraw our defamation suit. | 我们会同意收回诽谤的起诉 |
[35:14] | How sweet. | 多好的提议啊 |
[35:15] | We’ll dismiss for a number with a lot of zeroes in it, Ms. Marino, | 我们会取消赔偿数额很多零中的一个 Marino女士 |
[35:18] | otherwise, we have a trial. | 否则 我们庭上见 |
[35:19] | I covet trials. | 我很期待 |
[35:21] | As do I. | 我也是 |
[35:25] | I’m thinking class action. We should start rounding up fatties. | 我在考虑共同起诉 我们要开始搜罗胖子了 |
[35:28] | What are your thoughts? | 你觉得呢? |
[35:29] | Edwin, my thought is, let’s get you back in the hospital. | Edwin 我认为 我们应把你送回医院 |
[35:33] | That’s a put down. | 那可不行 |
[35:35] | You’re not stable yet, Edwin. | 你还不稳定 Edwin |
[35:36] | Unless you want your name to come off the door permanently, it’s back in the hospital. | 除非你希望你的名字从门上永远消失 然后挂在医院的门上 |
[35:40] | I’m not kidding. | 我不是开玩笑的 |
[36:04] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[36:07] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[36:08] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[36:11] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[36:12] | Just wandering. | 闲逛而已 |
[36:16] | You want this? | 你要这个么 |
[36:18] | Sure. | 当然 |
[36:19] | You don’t want it? | 你不要么 |
[36:21] | I’ve already had two. | 我已经喝了2瓶了 |
[36:25] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[36:30] | I really liked what you said earlier, and you could say it, because, | 我真的很喜欢你早些时候说的话 你可以那么说 因为 |
[36:34] | um, we can be honest with each other, you know, | 呃 我们可以坦诚相对 你知道 |
[36:36] | the way… the way friends should be. | 那种方式…朋友间的方式 |
[36:41] | Cool. | 很好 |
[36:43] | It’s funny, ’cause I’ve been talking to some of my girlfriends, and um… | 很好笑 因为我和一些女友谈了 而… |
[36:48] | it turns out there’s a lot of different kinds of friends. | 结果发觉朋友也有很多种 |
[36:53] | Like my friend Alyssa had a friend that, um, | 想我的朋友Alyssa有一个朋友 呃 |
[36:57] | she goes to museums with. | 她们一起去博物馆 |
[37:00] | That’s it. Just museums. | 就那样 只去博物馆 |
[37:04] | Do you want to go to a museum with me? | 你想和我去博物馆么 |
[37:06] | No. God, no. | 不 天啊 不是 |
[37:09] | I have another friend, uh, Melanie… | 我还有另一个朋友 呃 Melanie… |
[37:16] | she, uh… she has a friend, this guy, | 她 呃…她有个朋友 那个人 |
[37:19] | and they have an understanding. it’s, um… | 他们达成共识 是 呃… |
[37:23] | it’s called friends with benefits. | 他们有利益时才称兄道弟 |
[37:29] | You’ve heard of it. | 你听过了吧 |
[37:30] | Uh, friends with benefits, yes. | 呃 利益的朋友 是的 |
[37:33] | But maybe it’s not what you’re talking about. | 但 也许不是你正要说的 |
[37:36] | Actually, you should just tell me. | 实际上 你应该告诉我 |
[37:39] | Well, we would, um… | 我们应该 呃… |
[37:42] | As friends do, help each other out when… | 像朋友那样 互相帮助 当… |
[37:47] | in need. | 有需要时 |
[37:49] | Need of? | 什么样的需要? |
[37:52] | Intercourse. | 交流 |
[37:54] | Which would be the… | 那种是… |
[37:56] | Benefit. | 有好处的 |
[37:59] | I have never had that kind of friend before. | 我以前没有这种朋友 |
[38:05] | But I have to admit, I can imagine circumstances | 但我必须承认 我可以想像得到 |
[38:09] | where that would be beneficial. | 有益处的环境 |
[38:15] | Great. | 太好了 |
[38:17] | Great. | 很好 |
[38:23] | So when do these benefits kick in? | 那这些好处什么时候开始? |
[38:26] | Tonight too soon? | 今晚会太快么? |
[38:59] | Ms. Foreperson, has the jury reached a unanimous verdict? | Foreperso女士 陪审团有一致裁定了么 |
[39:03] | We have, your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[39:05] | What say you? | 怎么说 |
[39:07] | “On the matter of the commonwealth of Massachusetts vs. Alan Shore,” | “马萨诸塞州诉Alan Shored的案件” |
[39:11] | “we the jury find the defendant Alan Shore” | “陪审团认为被告Alan Shore” |
[39:14] | “not guilty of all charges”. | “无罪开释” |
[39:17] | This concludes the jury’s service as well as this trial. | 这些审讯结束 陪审团任务完成 |
[39:20] | You are dismissed with the thanks of this court. | 你们可解散了 法庭感谢你们 |
[39:23] | Mr. Shore, you are free to go. | Shore先生 你可以自由离开 |
[39:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:30] | What a nail biter. | 好一个被打败的疯狗 |
[39:32] | Mr. Shore, one day I hope to speak at your funeral. | Shore先生 希望有一天能在你葬礼上发言 |
[39:41] | Thank you, Denny. | 谢谢 Denny |
[39:43] | You pulled it out of… | 你把它拉出来… |
[39:45] | well, your ass, I guess. | 用你的屁股 我猜 |
[39:47] | Scotch. | 苏格兰威士忌 |
[39:49] | Indeed. | 很需要 |
[39:54] | I was lucky. If Javert hadn’t decided to prosecute me himself… | 我很幸运 如果Javert没有决定 自己来检控我的话… |
[39:58] | Nah. The case was too thin. | 不 这案子太简单了 |
[40:00] | The simple truth is, you did cover yourself. | 事实是 你的确在自保 |
[40:03] | They never would’ve got you, not beyond reasonable doubt. | 有合理疑点 他们就没法定你罪 |
[40:06] | I was lucky I had you. | 我很幸运有你在啊 |
[40:09] | Still undefeated. Never lost, never will. | 始终无敌 从没输过 也不会输 |
[40:11] | It was a deft touch the underwear. | 那摸内裤的动作真迅速而熟练啊 |
[40:14] | All’s well that ends well. | 结果好就都好了 |
[40:17] | Two years of jail time didn’t exactly end well for Mr. Mkeba. | 两年的牢狱生活对Mkeba先生并不好 |
[40:21] | Well, he nearly beat a man to death. | 他差点把一个人打到死 |
[40:24] | He deserves to go to jail. People need to take responsibility. | 他应该坐牢 人们需要承担责任 |
[40:28] | Hell, that’s what you did, right? | 那就是你做的 对么 |
[40:29] | No, in the end. | 不 最后 |
[40:31] | I didn’t have to take responsibility for my actions. | 我并没为自己的行为承认责任 |
[40:33] | I’m drinking scotch on the balcony. | 我在阳台喝苏格兰威士忌 |
[40:35] | Hey, I bared myself in open court for you. | 嘿 我在公开法庭里为你脱了裤子 |
[40:38] | If you haven’t got the decency to celebrate your own victory, | 如果你不能庆祝自己的胜利 |
[40:40] | celebrate mine, for God sakes. | 那为我的庆祝吧 看在上帝的份上 |
[40:44] | To triumph. | 为胜利干杯 |
[40:46] | And to me… | 为了我… |
[40:47] | King of the world. | 世界之王 |
[40:51] | Are we setting a bad example? | 我们是坏榜样么? |
[40:54] | I shoot people. | 我攻击别人 |
[40:55] | I bribe them. | 我贿赂他们 |
[40:56] | We drink. | 我们喝酒 |
[40:57] | Smoke. | 抽烟 |
[40:58] | I’m unfaithful. | 我不忠诚 |
[40:59] | Not to me. | 我不是 |
[41:00] | Never to you. | 绝对不是你 |
[41:02] | We’re not setting examples, Denny. | 我们没有建立榜样 Denny |
[41:04] | We’re just being true to who we are. | 我们只是做最真实的自己 |
[41:08] | Who are we? | 真实的我们是谁? |
[41:10] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[41:12] | Alan Shore | Alan Shore. |
[41:13] | Leaders of men. | 屁股上有牛眼的 |
[41:14] | With bull’s eyes on our asses. | 领导者 |