时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Previously on Boston Legal | |
[00:03] | They’re meeting soon to vote on this year’s partnerships, maybe you can tell me where I stand? | 投票选举合伙人的会议马上要开了 或许你可以帮我一下 |
[00:09] | Jerry’s had a few blowups, Alan, | Jerry总是大发雷霆,Alan |
[00:11] | But I’ve done everything I’ve been asked. | 但我把所有要求做的事情都做好了 |
[00:13] | There will be no further opportunities for partnership. | 不会有成为合伙人的机会的 |
[00:16] | I’ll kill her! I swear, I will kill her! | 我会杀了她 我发誓,我会杀了她! |
[00:18] | Daniel Post… Uh, Denise Bauer, attorney, Daniel Post… | 这位是Daniel Post 这位是Denise律师 |
[00:20] | I got stage-4 lung cancer.I don’t give a damn what anybody I don’t know thinks about me. | 我得了四期肺癌 所以 我根本无不在意 其他人对我的看法 |
[00:23] | -Nice night. -Suddenly it is. | – 多么美好的夜晚啊 – 的确突然就变得美好起来 |
[00:25] | -You had sex with her here? -Hot, sweaty sex right there in the coat check room. | – 你跟她在这里做爱了? – 热情如火 大汗淋漓的在衣帽间里做爱 |
[00:29] | did I tell you Bev and I are getting married. | 我有没有跟你说过 Bev和我要结婚了 |
[00:39] | Shirley, I am not going through this again. | Shirley 我不想再遇到这种事了 |
[00:42] | Would someone catch me up here? | 有人能告诉我是什么事吗? |
[00:44] | Denny got engaged. | Denny 订婚了 |
[00:45] | – Mazel tov? – No mazel tov. | – 那不好吗? – 一点都不好 |
[00:47] | – Beverly Bridge – Who is it this time? – Beverly Bridge. | – 这次是谁? |
[00:49] | The woman Denny “craned” in the | 上个星期在慈善晚餐上 |
[00:51] | coatroom at that charity dinner last week. | Denny 在衣帽间搞上的人 |
[00:52] | If this Bev turns out to be another Angie, oh, God! | 如果Bev和Angie是同一种女人 天啊! |
[00:56] | – Angie? – Number four. | – 第四任 – Angie? |
[00:57] | Wife number five was no picnic either. | 第五任也好不到哪里去 |
[00:59] | Clovis | Clovis. |
[01:00] | She most got him to retire, | 她差点让他退休了 |
[01:01] | pull his equity out of the firm and move to Boca. | 撤出他的所有股份并搬到博卡去 (博卡是阿根廷一个区) |
[01:03] | – Clovis nearly sunk us. – Half the staff quit. | – Clovis 差点毁了我们 – 半数员工辞职了 |
[01:06] | And she was drunk the day president Ford stopped by. | 而且当福特总统来访时她居然发酒疯 |
[01:09] | All right, I’ll pull out Denny’s last prenup, see if I can water-seal it. | 好了 我去检查一下Denny上一次 的婚前协议 看看还有没漏洞 |
[01:13] | Shirley, you talk to the woman. Get her story. | Shirley 你和那个女人谈谈 了解一下她的背景 |
[01:15] | Brad, check the partnership agreement. | Brad 查一下合伙人协议 |
[01:18] | We have to be sure there are no | 我们必须保证没有漏洞可钻 |
[01:20] | loopholes in the mandatory buyout | 以防公司合伙人出现意外时 |
[01:21] | in case of a partner’s death or incapacity. | 股份被恶意收购 |
[01:23] | – One thing. – What? | – 有件事 – 什么? |
[01:25] | Is there any remote possibility we could be overreacting here? | 有没可能是我们反应过度了? |
[01:32] | I had the time of my life | 在我一生中 |
[01:38] | I’ve never felt this way before | 这种感觉从未出现过 |
[01:42] | Yes, I swear it’s the truth Oh, it’s true | 这是真的 我向你承诺 |
[01:47] | and I owe it all to you | 你把这一切带给我 |
[01:49] | because I had the time of my life | 因为在我一生中… |
[01:54] | I’ll get the partnership agreement. | 我现在就去找合伙人协议 |
[02:00] | And I owe it all to you you, you, you, you, you. | 而你把这一切带给我 你 你 你… |
[02:36] | Docket number 249635. | 案件编码249635 |
[02:39] | Commonwealth vs. Jerald Espenson. | 联邦政府 对 Jerald Espenson |
[02:42] | Attempted murder, assault, | 罪名是意图谋杀 袭击伤人 |
[02:43] | assault with a deadly weapon, | 用致命武器进行攻击 |
[02:45] | battery, sexual battery, false imprisonment, | 殴打 性攻击 非法拘禁 |
[02:48] | torture, terrorist threats. | 虐待 恐怖袭击 |
[02:50] | Alan Shore for the | Alan Shore 将为 |
[02:51] | preposterously charged Mr. Espenson. | Espenson先生辩护这堆可笑的指控 |
[02:53] | Frank Ginsberg for the commonwealth. | Frank Ginsberg 作为联邦政府的律师 |
[02:55] | How do you plead? | 你的辩护声明是什么? |
[02:56] | Not guilty by reason of temporary insanity. | 无罪 原因是被告暂时性精神失常 |
[02:58] | As to bail? | 保释方式呢? |
[02:59] | We ask that Mr. Espenson be released on his own recognizance. | 我们希望以Espenson先生的 书面保证来取得保释 |
[03:02] | – Commonwealth opposes bail. – You can’t be serious! | – 联邦政府反对被告保释 – 你在说笑吧! |
[03:04] | Your honor, this incident was an aberration. | 法官阁下 这完全是一场事故 |
[03:07] | Mr. Espenson is an upstanding member of his community, | Espenson 是一位诚实正直的人 |
[03:10] | he is not a danger to society, | 他并不会对社会造成危害 |
[03:12] | and he has a family counting on him at home. | 而且他有家人需要照顾 |
[03:15] | He has dependents? | 他家有受赡养者? |
[03:16] | Her name is Linda. | 她的名字是Linda |
[03:18] | Your honor, let the record show | 法官阁下 根据记录 |
[03:20] | that his dependent is a gecko. | 他所谓的受赡养者是一只壁虎 |
[03:22] | Mr. Espenson threatened to kill | Espenson先生在办公场所 |
[03:24] | his boss in her place of business | 威胁要杀掉他的老板 |
[03:25] | and has a history of violent outbursts. | 而且他有过精神异常的记录 |
[03:28] | – He could be a flight risk. – Flight risk? | – 他很可能会弃保潜逃 – 弃保潜逃? |
[03:30] | The man can’t even hail a cab. | 他甚至不能拦停一辆出租车 |
[03:34] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[03:34] | It is incumbent upon the commonwealth to protect the community at large. | 尽可能保护公众安全是联邦政府的职责 |
[03:38] | God forbid he’s released and hurts someone else. | 如果他被释放了 难保他不会伤害别人 |
[03:41] | Bail is denied. | 保释申请被驳回 |
[03:43] | Defendant shall be remanded into custody immediately. | 被告即时起羁押候审 |
[03:46] | Meal worms are in the fridge. | 饲料还放在冰箱里 |
[03:48] | I need to feed Linda. I need to get home. | 我需要喂Linda吃东西 我需要回家 |
[03:49] | Jerry, I’ll feed Linda. | Jerry 我会帮你喂Linda的 |
[04:11] | Sexual battery, torture, terrorist threats? | 性攻击 虐待 恐怖袭击? |
[04:15] | That isn’t justice. It’s disproportionate retribution. | 那不公平 这是莫须有的罪名 |
[04:17] | And good for you. | 而且让一个 |
[04:18] | You’ve enlisted the one prosecutor who’s running for DA next year. | 明年要竞选地区检察官的人做检控官 你能得到什么好处 |
[04:21] | Tell me, how big was your campaign contribution? | 告诉我 你给了他什么好处? |
[04:23] | And is there a matching fund here at the firm we can all go in on? | 而我们事务所为此投入了多少? |
[04:26] | It was sizeable, and speak to Kim in accounting. | 相当多 你可以去问我们的会计Kim |
[04:28] | Jerry Espenson never intended… | Jerry Espenson 并不是故意… |
[04:29] | Do not start defending him to me, Alan. | 别在我面前提起他Alan |
[04:32] | I agreed to defend him. | 我答应了为他辩护 |
[04:33] | That’s why he put down the knife. | 因此他才愿意放下刀子 |
[04:34] | No, you agreed to represent him. | 不 你答应做他的律师 |
[04:35] | No one here meant for you to defend him. | 不代表你要为他说好话 |
[04:37] | Shirley, no one is denying what this man has done to you, | Shirley 没有人否认他对你做的事 |
[04:40] | but he should at least get a fair trial. | 但是至少他应该得到公平的审判 |
[04:42] | Oh, by all means. | 哦 说得对 |
[04:43] | Let’s get a fair trial for the man who tried to slit my throat. | 让一个想割开我喉咙的人得到公平的审判 |
[04:45] | Let’s. | 对的 |
[04:46] | But understand that everyone at this firm is considered a witness. | 但是你要清楚这里的每一个人都是证人 |
[04:48] | Don’t expect anyone to help you or speak to you. | 别指望有人帮你说话 |
[04:51] | And won’t that make for a refreshing change? | 那我可以视之为良好的开始吗? |
[04:55] | Shirley, have you talked to Denny’s fiancee yet? | Shirley 你和Denny的未婚妻谈过了吗? |
[04:58] | I’ve been a little busy, Paul. | 我忙着呢Paul |
[05:00] | I’m working on the prenup, but we need you to find out her intentions. | 我正在准备婚前协议 可是我们需要你去找出她的真实意图 |
[05:03] | You’re the one with the kind eyes. I don’t do girl talk. | 你比较善于与人沟通 我不擅长这种谈话 |
[05:06] | Do I have to remind you how serious this situation is? | 需要我提醒你情况有多严重吗? |
[05:09] | If Denny becomes incapacitated… | 如果Denny出了问题… |
[05:12] | or should I say further incapacitated, | 或者我应该说大问题 |
[05:15] | this woman could become his Nancy Reagan. | 这个女人可能会成为他的里根夫人 (前总统里根晚年因病需要 他的夫人处理日常所有事务) |
[05:17] | She’d have his power of attorney. She could bring down the firm. | 她会借他的权力使整个事务所陷入危机 |
[05:21] | I’ll talk to her. | 我会和她谈的 |
[05:29] | – Daniel – I came to take you to lunch. | – 我来接你去吃饭 – Daniel. |
[05:32] | – I can’t. I have a case. – What is it? | – 我没空 手上有个案子 – 是什么? |
[05:35] | A high school teacher is | 一个中学教师 |
[05:37] | seeking a temporary restraining order | 针对她学生的家长 |
[05:38] | against one of her student’s parents. | 向法庭申请临时限制令 |
[05:40] | They’re hounding the woman day and | 他们担忧他们女儿的学业 |
[05:41] | night about their daughter’s grades. | 因此整天缠着她 |
[05:43] | – Helicopter parents. – Helicopter parents? | – 直升机父母 – 直升机父母? |
[05:45] | Well, that’s what they call them now, | 现在大家都那么称呼这些家长 |
[05:46] | you know, parents who hover around their kids, | 这些家长像直升机一样老是围着孩子转 |
[05:48] | try to control every aspect of their lives. | 试图完全控制他们孩子的生活 |
[05:50] | That would be the Gerings. | 那不就是偏执狂 |
[05:51] | Well, cool, I’m in. | 嘿 有趣 我要参加 |
[05:53] | What? | 什么? |
[05:54] | I want to second chair. | 我当你的副手 |
[05:57] | Why not? I got my law degree. I keep up with my MCLEs. | 为什么不行? 我有法学学位 我可是民法硕士 |
[05:59] | Have you ever actually tried a case? | 你有没真正做个一个案子? |
[06:01] | No, but I’ve always wanted to. | 没有 但是我一直很想试试 |
[06:03] | Think of it as the make-a-wish foundation granting a dying kid his fantasy. | 就当是帮一个垂死的孩子圆了他的梦想吧 |
[06:08] | If that kid were a rich guy in his 40s. | 一个40多岁的有钱孩子 |
[06:13] | Besides, I can probably help you. | 而且 我说不定能帮你 |
[06:15] | I’m on the board of the Lexington school. My kids used to go there. | 我是列克星顿中学的董事会成员 我的孩子原来在那读书 |
[06:17] | We deal with helicopter parents all the time. | 我们经常和直升机父母打交道 |
[06:19] | That could be helpful. | 那也许有用 |
[06:20] | I would have to get the client’s approval, though. | 可我必须取得委托人的同意 |
[06:22] | I can get that. | 我可以搞定 |
[06:23] | And I would have to get one of the partners to agree. | 而且我还要取得事务所合伙人的同意 |
[06:25] | Looks like a partner right there. | 看 有个合伙人就在那边 |
[06:30] | – Daniel Post – Denny Crane – Daniel Post. – Denny Crane. | |
[06:32] | – I’m a client. – I’m a partner. | – 我是这的客户 – 我是这的老板 |
[06:33] | – CEO, Kreisberg-Pellum. – My name’s on the door. | – Kreisberg-Pellum的首席执行官 – 我的名字在这的门上 |
[06:35] | – I love the offices. – Thank you. I love your hair. | – 我喜欢这里 – 谢谢 我喜欢你的发型 |
[06:38] | – I got a plane. – Indeed? | – 我有一架飞机 – 真的? |
[06:39] | Could use a little more color, though. | 但是这里颜色太单调了 |
[06:40] | I’ll make a note. | 噢 我会记下的 |
[06:41] | My fiancee sells office furniture. | 我的未婚妻是卖办公家具的 |
[06:43] | Congratulations. I’d love to meet her. | 恭喜 我想认识她 |
[06:45] | My club, Thursdays. They serve Reubens. | 我的俱乐部 星期四 那有Reuben三文治供应 |
[06:47] | I’ll take you flying. | 有空一起飞飞 |
[06:48] | Oh, by the way, I’d like to try | 哦 随便说句 我想和 |
[06:49] | a case with Ms. Bauer over here. | Bauer小姐一起试个案子 |
[06:51] | Why not? See you Thursday. | 有何不可? 周四见 |
[06:53] | Thursday. | 周四见 |
[06:59] | That’s what I do. I make connections. | 看 这就是我打交道的方式 |
[07:01] | That’s how we met, remember? | 记得我们怎么认识的吗? |
[07:22] | Shirley, I believe you know my client. | Shirley 我想你认识我的委托人 |
[07:24] | Why isn’t this man in jail? | 这个人不是应该呆在监狱里吗? |
[07:25] | He has an excellent attorney | 他有一个极好的律师 |
[07:27] | who filed an emergency writ with the court of appeals, | 刚向上级法庭提出了一份紧急文书 |
[07:29] | and the judge agreed the denial of bail was an abuse of discretion. | 而法官同意撤回这份不恰当的拒保动议 |
[07:32] | I’m surprised your lackey at the DA’s office didn’t keep you abreast of this. | 我很吃惊你那地方检察院里的仆人没有告诉你 |
[07:36] | Perhaps you didn’t tip him enough. | 也许是你给的小费不够 |
[07:38] | He’s not to be in this building. | 他不能出现在这里 |
[07:39] | I’ll get a restraining order if I have to. | 如果必要的话,我会申请限制令 |
[07:45] | She hates me. | 她讨厌我 |
[07:46] | Tempers seem frayed all around. | 她正在气头上呢 |
[07:49] | That’s why I’m filing for a continuance. | 因此我要申请延期动议 |
[07:54] | We’ll let everyone cool down a bit, | 让大家可以有点时间冷静一下 |
[07:56] | then try again for a plea bargain. | 然后坐下来谈判 |
[07:58] | No. | 不 |
[07:58] | A plea bargain’s out of the question. | 我不做诉辩交易 |
[08:00] | It’s not guilty or nothing. | 要不是无罪要不是其他 |
[08:01] | But you are guilty, Jerry. | 但是你的确是犯罪了Jerry |
[08:02] | A whole office full of people saw you do it. | 整个办公室的人都可以作证 |
[08:04] | One of the junior associates took | 我们的其中一位助理同事还 |
[08:06] | a video of you on his cell phone. | 用电话拍了一段录像 |
[08:07] | He’s thinking of entering it in a film festival. | 他原本想录下一段庆祝画面的 |
[08:09] | No plea bargain. | 不做诉辩交易 |
[08:15] | Proving temporary insanity is | 暂时性精神错乱并不是 |
[08:17] | a daunting task. You know that. | 一个很好的辩辞 你应该知道 |
[08:18] | A plea bargain is our best | 诉辩交易是 |
[08:20] | chance to keep you out of jail. | 使你摆脱牢狱之灾的最好办法 |
[08:22] | If I plea bargain, I’ll be disbarred. | 如果我同意进行诉辩交易 我的律师生涯就完了 |
[08:27] | Alan, my whole life is the law. | Alan 法律就是我的生命 |
[08:31] | It’s all I have. It’s what I love. | 我所拥有的 我所爱的就剩下法律了 |
[08:35] | You can’t let them take that away from me. | 你不能让他们剥夺我做律师的权利 |
[08:40] | Then we go to trial. | 那我们准备打官司吧 |
[09:00] | Look up any case law, any articles, news reports, | 去查查所有的法律 文章和新闻报导 |
[09:03] | anything that supports the | 所有能够说明 |
[09:05] | theory that stress in the workplace | 办公地点的压力过大 |
[09:06] | can lead to an individual | 会导致个人 |
[09:07] | losing control of themselves, | 失去控制能力 |
[09:09] | especially in the form of a violent outburst. | 特别是引起精神异常现象 |
[09:11] | Got it. | 知道了 |
[09:13] | Garrett Hello, Garrett. | |
[09:16] | You’re not helping Mr. Shore on the Espenson case. | 你不准帮Shore先生做任何 关于Espenson案子的事 |
[09:19] | Because you’re a witness. | 因为你是一个证人 |
[09:21] | I’m sure you’re aware that would be a conflict of interest. | 我相信你很明白这会存在利益冲突 |
[09:24] | I was just getting him coffee. | 我只是帮他拿杯咖啡 |
[09:25] | Well, you can’t do that, either. | 那么你同样也不准那么做 |
[09:27] | I’ll take a decaf, though. Thanks. | 不过请给我来杯脱咖啡因咖啡 |
[09:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[09:29] | Shirley, I know we’re fighting, | Shirley 我明白我们现在有争执 |
[09:32] | but there’s no reason to take it out on the children. | 但是也没有必要把孩子们牵扯进来吧 |
[09:34] | Alan, this looks like it could be tough on you, | Alan 看上去你会遇到很多困难 |
[09:37] | especially since you don’t have an assistant anymore. | 特别是你不再有助手帮忙了 |
[09:43] | Shirley fired you? | Shirley解雇了你? |
[09:45] | Worse. I got transferred to human resources | 比那更糟 我被调到人事部 |
[09:48] | where all the people persons are. | 那里什么人都有 |
[09:51] | She’s building a Chinese wall. | 她正在建一条中国长城 |
[09:53] | What’s that? | 那是什么? |
[09:54] | It’s a legal concept. | 一个法律术语 |
[09:55] | It keeps anyone in the firm who may be involved | 将我与这个事务所所有与此事相关的人 |
[09:58] | in this case from talking to me about it. | 隔离开 以免我得到任何帮助 |
[10:00] | Well, then you’ve got a big-ass wall around you. | 那你可真得变成孤家寡人了 |
[10:02] | Shirley’s just trying to rattle my cage. | Shirley正试图扰乱我的注意力 |
[10:06] | It’s only a temporary transfer. | 只是一次临时调动 |
[10:08] | So you won’t be mad if I ignore you in the hall | 那么你不会因我装作看你不见 |
[10:10] | and just look at your shoes? | 只是低头看着你的鞋子而生气吧? |
[10:13] | I need my job. | 我需要这份工作 |
[10:14] | I’ll try to wear nice shoes. | 那么我会穿双漂亮的鞋子 |
[10:27] | They call me at night on the weekends. | 他们在周末晚上打电话给我 |
[10:30] | They e-mail, text-message my cell phone. | 他们给我发e-mail 发手机短信 |
[10:33] | They drop by for impromptu | 他们随时会来访 |
[10:35] | parent-teacher conferences. | 要求开一个会 |
[10:37] | They challenge every grade, every assignment. | 他们质疑所有的成绩和作业 |
[10:40] | The last straw was when my | 最令我不能忍受的是 |
[10:42] | sister was delivering her baby, | 当我的姐妹临盆待产 |
[10:44] | and I was her coach. | 而我在旁边陪她时 |
[10:46] | They called me on my cell phone. | 他们打我的手机找我 |
[10:48] | And when I said that Kathy was starting to crown, | 当我说Kathy正处于紧要关头 |
[10:50] | they asked when she’d be finished. | 他们居然问我什么时候可以结束 |
[10:52] | So we could discuss Rachel’s paper on “the red pony”. | 以便和我讨论Rachel做的关于<小红马>的功课 (《小红马》为美国当代著名作家斯坦倍克的作品) |
[10:56] | It used to be that teachers spent | 在以前 老师们把 |
[10:58] | 80% of the time with the students. | 80%的时间花在学生上 |
[11:00] | Now we spend 80% of the time with the parents, | 现在我们必须把80%的时间花在他们家长上 |
[11:03] | and it’s hurting the kids. | 这么做对孩子没有好处 |
[11:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[11:12] | Um, excuse me, your honor. Just one moment. | 呃 抱歉 法官阁下 稍等 |
[11:15] | – Judge doesn’t like her. – She doesn’t like me. | – 法官不喜欢她 – 她不喜欢我 |
[11:18] | You know who women do find charming? | 你知道女人都喜欢谁吗? |
[11:20] | – Me. – Ms. Bauer? | – 我 – Bauer小姐? |
[11:22] | Let me ask a question, just see how it goes. | 让我问一个问题试试 |
[11:24] | – I don’t know about that. – Ms. Bauer! | – 我不知道这样是否合适 – Bauer小姐! |
[11:26] | Ms. Carpenter, would you say that it’s | Carpenter小姐 你是否承认 |
[11:28] | true that Rachel Gering is a good student? | Rachel Gering是一位好学生? |
[11:30] | Objection. Leading the witness. | 反对 引导证人 |
[11:31] | Right, sorry. I knew that. Sorry. Right. | 好吧 抱歉 我错了 好吧 |
[11:34] | What kind of grades does Rachel get? | Rachel的成绩如何? |
[11:36] | She has between a B+ and an A- average. | 她的成绩在B+ 和A- 之间 |
[11:39] | And has the Gerings’ attention | 那么她的家长有没有关心过 |
[11:41] | done anything to change that grade? | 如何提高她的成绩? |
[11:43] | – Not at all. – One more question. | – 完全没有 – 还有一个问题 |
[11:45] | Have the Gerings contacted any other teachers? | Gering的家长有没有找过其他老师? |
[11:47] | All the other teachers. | 所有老师他们都找过 |
[11:49] | The one they hounded the most | 他们缠得最凶的一位是 |
[11:51] | was Mr. Sheehy, the math teacher. | Sheehy先生 数学老师 |
[11:52] | – How’d he react? – He quit. | – 他对此如何反应? – 他辞职了 |
[11:54] | He couldn’t take it anymore, so he took early retirement. | 他不能再忍受下去了 因此他选择了提早退休 |
[11:57] | I’m still 20 years away from that. | 但是我离退休还有20 年 |
[12:01] | I was so excited to become a teacher. | 我本来对当老师感到很兴奋的 |
[12:03] | No one told me it would be this way. | 没有人告诉我会变成这样 |
[12:06] | Nothing further, your honor, | 没有问题了 法官阁下 |
[12:07] | unless, uh, you can think of anything. | 除非 呃 你想到了什么要问的 |
[12:30] | I know what you want, Shirley. | 我知道你在想什么Shirley |
[12:32] | And, yes, Denny does still talk about you. | 是的 Denny仍然会提起你 |
[12:35] | He remembers his experiences with you so fondly. | 他对你可是记忆犹新 念念不忘 |
[12:39] | Did you know that he has a position called “the Schmidt”? | 你知不知道他喜欢把一种体位称之为”Schmidt式”? |
[12:42] | Would that be the one where I read a magazine | 是不是那个我在看报纸 |
[12:44] | while he lies passed out on the floor? | 而他倒在地板上晕过去? |
[12:46] | That’s not what I heard. | 我听到的可不是这样 |
[12:47] | Look, Bev, I am a busy woman, | 嗨 Bev 我很忙 |
[12:49] | so I’ll just get to the point. | 所以我开门见山的说好了 |
[12:51] | Who are you and what are you up to? | 你究竟是什么人 你的目的是什么? |
[12:53] | Oh, we’re going to have that conversation. | 噢 我们要讨论这个话题啊… (大妇和二奶? – -b) |
[12:56] | We are. | 是的 |
[12:58] | So you think I’m screwing | 所以你认为我是为了Denny |
[12:59] | Denny for his money and power? | 的钱和权力而跟他上床? |
[13:01] | – It had occurred to me. – Well, good news. I am. | – 这种事我并没有少见 – 那好吧 好消息是 我是 |
[13:06] | I find money and power just so appetizing. | 金钱和权力让令我动心 |
[13:10] | And why did you screw him? | 那么你为什么和他上床? |
[13:12] | I lost a bet. | 我打赌输了 |
[13:14] | Shirley, you know, I, I thought you were enlightened, | Shirley 你知道吗 我曾以为你是一个开明的人 |
[13:19] | but it turns out you’re the worst kind of female there is. | 但是事实上你属于最糟糕的那种类型 |
[13:22] | Either you condemn a woman as | 又或者你总是将喜欢享受性爱的 |
[13:24] | a whore because she enjoys sex. | 女人当成是淫妇 |
[13:26] | I didn’t say that. | 我没有那么说过 |
[13:26] | Or you assume that she’s a manipulative gold digger. | 又或者你认为喜欢在男人身上 淘金的女人是很容易打发的 |
[13:31] | Oh, Bev, you know, I’ve completely misread you. | 噢Bev 看来我完全误解你了 |
[13:37] | Here I had you pegged as some kind of predatory shark. | 我曾把你当成是某种贪婪的诈骗专家 |
[13:41] | I came here today with the intention of telling you that | 我来这儿的原意是想要告诉你 |
[13:44] | if you ever do anything to hurt my friend Denny or this firm, | 如果你做了任何事伤害了Denny或者事务所 |
[13:48] | I will see to it that you are hunted down legally and literally | 我会一直盯着你直到你被依法逮捕 |
[13:52] | until you are penniless and left to troll airport bars | 直到你倾家荡产只能出入机场附近的酒吧 |
[13:56] | looking for alcoholic pilots nearing retirement age. | 靠勾引就快退休的酒鬼飞行员为生 |
[14:03] | But I can see I don’t need to do that. | 但是我想我不用那么做 |
[14:09] | You know, | 你知道吗 |
[14:11] | it’s reay hard to believe that you’re the one that came up with “the Schmidt”. | 真是很难把相信你是那个会用”Schmidt式”的女人 |
[14:23] | So, uh, what is “the Schmidt”? | 那么 呃 什么是”Schmidt式”? |
[15:05] | May I cut in? | 我能进来吗? |
[15:06] | I’m practicing for my wedding. | 我正在为婚礼而做练习 |
[15:08] | Come on, join me. | 来吧 一起跳 |
[15:10] | Why not? | 好的 |
[15:13] | No, no, no, no, not on the one. It’s not a mambo. | 不 不 不 这不是曼波舞 |
[15:16] | It’s a feeling. Like a heartbeat. | 是一种感觉 就像心跳一样 |
[15:18] | Ka-chung, ka-chung, ka-chung! | 噗通 噗通 噗通! |
[15:20] | Shut up and dance, mister. | 闭嘴跳你的舞 先生 |
[15:26] | This case Shirley is pursuing against Jerry… | 关于Shirley起诉Jerry的案子… |
[15:28] | I’m not allowed to talk out it. | 我不能讨论这个 |
[15:30] | Vietnamese wall. | 越南长城 |
[15:32] | Chinese wall. | 是中国长城 |
[15:33] | She’s pressuring the DA’s office. | 她在向地方检察官办公室施加压力 |
[15:35] | She’s cut off all my resources here, which is fine. | 她切断了我在这里的所有资源 没关系 |
[15:38] | It’s just getting a little | 那只是让我酒店的房间 |
[15:39] | crowded around my hotel room | 变得拥挤一点而已 |
[15:40] | with the two paralegals I’ve hired from Harvard?. | 因为我从哈佛大学请来了两个助手 |
[15:43] | Can’t hear you over the wall. | 隔着墙听不见 |
[15:48] | Hey, you’re a natural. | 嗨 你跳得不错 |
[15:51] | Anything Denny Crane can do, I can | Denny Crane能做的任何事 我都能够 |
[15:52] | do backwards and wearing high heels. | 穿着高跟鞋倒着做一次 |
[15:54] | The feeling I get around here is | 我感觉到这里的人 |
[15:56] | that people aren’t that hot on Bev. | 不太喜欢Bev |
[15:58] | Haven’t noticed. | 倒没注意这一点 |
[16:00] | I don’t care if nobody else likes her, | 我不在乎其他人对她的看法 |
[16:03] | but it’s important to me what you think of her. | 但是你对她的看法对我很重要 |
[16:05] | I imagine I’ll like her. | 我想我会喜欢她的 |
[16:06] | No, Alan, I need a guarantee. | 不Alan 我要肯定的回答 |
[16:08] | And I’m not talking about getting to | 而且我不是要你去了解她 |
[16:10] | know her and forming your own opinion. | 然后得出你的结论 |
[16:12] | I need you to like her. | 我只是要你说喜欢她 |
[16:15] | Denny, just knowing you care | Denny 知道你那么关心她 |
[16:17] | for her makes me happy enough. | 让我很开心 |
[16:19] | I’m feeling your tension. | 我能感觉到你的紧张心情 |
[16:21] | You can’t have a very strong case. | 这个官司你打不赢的 |
[16:23] | Jerry Espenson was determined to make partner. | Jerry Espenson本来是要成为合伙人的 |
[16:26] | He didn’t, and that’s what made him snap. | 他没当成 所以他才那么生气 |
[16:27] | Well, what’s so special about that? | 那有什么特别的? |
[16:30] | All the associates want to make partner. | 这儿的所有人都想成为合伙人 |
[16:32] | It’s the carrot we dangle in | 这就像是悬在他们前面的胡萝卜 |
[16:35] | front of them to keep them working. | 成为他们工作的动力 |
[16:39] | Excuse me, Denny. | 失陪一下Denny |
[16:45] | Melissa, I need your help. | Melissa 我需要你的帮助 |
[16:46] | I need access to some personnel files. | 我需要调用一些员工档案 |
[16:49] | Vietnamese wall! | 越南长城! |
[16:53] | Are you concerned about Rachel’s college prospects? | 你是否关心Rachel的升学前景? |
[16:56] | Yes. | 当然 |
[16:57] | Even the state schools have taken to | 即使是州立学校也只是 |
[16:58] | admitting only the best of the best. | 录取最好的学生 |
[17:00] | Are you saying Ms. Carpenter isn’t | 你是在说Carpenter小姐没有能力 |
[17:02] | qualified to prepare your daughter? | 教好你的女儿? |
[17:03] | No, but we would be remiss | 不是 但是我们不操心一点的话 |
[17:05] | if we didn’t stay so involved. | 实在是不放心 |
[17:07] | Our most important job is to | 我们最重要的任务就是 |
[17:09] | prepare Rachel for her future. | 为Rachel安排一个美好的未来 |
[17:11] | Nothing further. | 我问完了 |
[17:15] | Mrs. Gering, are you saying that | Gering夫人你的意思是说 |
[17:18] | Ms. Carpenter is a bad teacher? | Carpenter小姐是一个不称职的老师? |
[17:20] | No, I didn’t say that. | 不 我没有那样说 |
[17:21] | How would you rate her? B- minus, C-plus, what? | 那你如何评价她? B- C+ 还是? |
[17:24] | I don’t think I could really… | 我并不知道应该怎样评价… |
[17:25] | Because she has won a teaching award | 因为她曾经获得过教学奖 |
[17:27] | so maybe if you’re not | 所以也许如果你不能给她一个 |
[17:29] | giving her a good enough grade, | 很好的评价 |
[17:30] | it’s your problem, not hers. Is that possible? | 那说明问题出在你身上 而不是她 有这个可能吗? |
[17:32] | I never said… | 我从没这么说过… |
[17:33] | We know that you’re involved with a lot of other teachers. | 我们都知道你曾经找过很多其他老师 |
[17:35] | We just don’t want our teacher to get lost in the shuffle. | 我们只是不想让我们的老师感到迷惑 |
[17:37] | Maybe you were having a bad day | 也许你对她的工作 |
[17:38] | when you were evaluated her. | 并不是很满意 |
[17:39] | Objection! | 反对! |
[17:40] | I don’t think you see her potential. | 我想你应该没有看到她的能力 |
[17:41] | We know you don’t see how hard she works. | 你没有看到她多么的努力工作 |
[17:43] | She works so hard. The other teachers are out playing. Traci’s inside… | 她辛勤地工作 其他老师出去找乐子的时候她却在… |
[17:45] | – Your honor! – Ms. Bauer! | – 法官阁下! – Bauer小姐! |
[17:46] | Objection! They’re badgering the witness! | 反对! 他们在骚扰证人! |
[17:48] | Of course we’re badgering the witness. | 我们当然是在骚扰证人 |
[17:49] | – You just figured that out? – Objection sustained! | – 你现在才知道? – 反对有效! |
[17:51] | Thank you, your honor, | 法官阁下 多谢你 |
[17:52] | for sustaining the objection to the badgeng of this woman. | 阻止我们骚扰她 |
[17:55] | That’s what this whole trial is about. | 这就是我们所面临的问题 |
[17:58] | Let’s stop the badgering. | 让我们不要再骚扰下去了 |
[18:00] | No one should be able to do that sort of thing to anybody. | 没有人可以对其他人做这种事 |
[18:05] | Unless they themselves are actually… | 除非被骚扰人本身就… |
[18:08] | a badger. | 喜欢骚扰人 |
[18:24] | In your opinion, did Mr. Espenson seem insane to you? | 在你看来Espenson先生疯了吗? |
[18:27] | No. | 不 |
[18:27] | He seemed to know exactly what he was doing. | 他看上去清楚地知道自己在做什么 |
[18:29] | He even negotiated for the | 他甚至和我们谈判 |
[18:31] | services of Mr. Shore as his attorney. | 要求Shore先生作为他的律师 |
[18:33] | He only agreed to spare my life on that condition. | 只有那样 他才愿意放开我 |
[18:36] | Thank you. Nothing further. | 谢谢你 我问完了 |
[18:42] | Uh, Ms. Schmidt. Sorry, it’s | 呃 Schmidt女士 抱歉 |
[18:45] | just these damn microphones. | 这个麦克风太差了 |
[18:47] | I don’t know if you were able to hear her clearly. | 我不知道你们有没听清她在说什么 |
[18:49] | I heard some of it, and it sounded great. | 我只听到一部分 而且不太清楚 |
[18:52] | Testing, one, two, three. Testing. | 测试 1 2 3 测试 |
[18:55] | Maybe if you sit a little closer. | 也许你可以坐近一些 |
[18:57] | Mr. Shore, we can all hear the witness just fine. | Shore先生 我们都能听清证人的话 |
[18:59] | You can? Good. | 可以吗? 那就好 |
[19:00] | It’s just Ms. Schmidt and I work together, | 我和Schmidt女士是同事 |
[19:03] | and around the office, | 我们在同一个地方办公 |
[19:05] | Shirley’s considered something… | Shirley被认为是一个说话小声的人… |
[19:08] | Mr. Shore, do you have a question? | Shore先生 你到底有没问题要问? |
[19:09] | I do. | 当然有 |
[19:10] | I have here Jerry Espenson’s | 我这儿有Jerry Espenson 15年来 |
[19:13] | performance reviews for the past 15 years. | 所有的考核评语 |
[19:16] | Would you please read one for us? | 你能不能为我们念一段? |
[19:18] | Pick a year, any year. | 挑一年吧 哪年都可以 |
[19:20] | For the record, Mr. Espenson’s | 记录上表明 关于Espenson先生的 |
[19:22] | work reviews are all excellent. | 所有工作评价都是优秀的 |
[19:24] | Would you like me to read | 你是否要我带有戏剧效果 |
[19:25] | one aloud for dramatic effect? | 的为你大声读一遍? |
[19:27] | Now that you’ve taken all the fun out of it, no. | 那就不好玩了 不用了 |
[19:30] | How about I do it? | 不如我读吧? |
[19:34] | “Jerry has displayed a vast knowledge of the law,” | “Jerry拥有非常渊博的法律知识” |
[19:38] | “delivered all assignments in a timely fashion,” | “总是能够按时完成所有任务” |
[19:41] | “has consistently met with the firm’s minimum billables”. | “完全达到事务所的要求” |
[19:44] | There’s no denying Mr. Espenson’s exceptional work habits. | 并没有人否认Espenson先生出色的工作表现 |
[19:48] | Yes, and I quote, | 没错 看这一句 |
[19:50] | “Jerry Espenson is not partnership material”. | “Jerry Espenson不符合当合伙人的要求” |
[19:54] | What exactly did that mean? | 具体是指什么? |
[19:55] | We’re a private firm at Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 我们是一间私人公司 |
[19:58] | We have every right to decide what | 我们有权决定公司合伙人 |
[19:59] | criteria by which to make people partners. | 的所有选拔标准 |
[20:01] | Yes, but clearly, | 没错 很明显 |
[20:04] | Jerry Espenson is not partnership material. | Jerry Espenson不符合当合伙人的要求 |
[20:07] | I mean, look at him. He’s awkward, unsociable, | 我的意思是 看看他 他是那么的笨拙和不合群 |
[20:11] | keeps his hands on his thighs at all times. | 总是把他的手放在他的大腿上 |
[20:14] | As I said, we have many criteria. | 正如我所说的 我们有很多选拔标准 |
[20:16] | So you’ve been lying to Jerry. Is that it? | 所以你对Jerry说谎了 是这样吗? |
[20:18] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么? |
[20:19] | About his chances to make partner. | 说他有机会成为合伙人的谎言 |
[20:21] | You never told him that he | 你从来没有对他说 |
[20:23] | wasn’t partnership material. | 他不是当合伙人的料 |
[20:24] | Quite the contrary, you encouraged him | 相反 你一次又一次地鼓励他 |
[20:27] | again and again to aspire to that position. | 激起他对这个位置的热情 |
[20:30] | And yet, there it was, “not partnership material,” | 然而 自从1990年开始 15年来他的档案上 |
[20:33] | in his confidential file since 1990, 15 years ago. | 一直都写着“不适合当合伙人” |
[20:36] | You’ve been lying to Jerry | 15年来你一直都在 |
[20:38] | Espenson for 15 years, haven’t you? | 欺骗Jerry Espenson 是吗? |
[20:40] | As you know, Mr. Shore, not everyone | 你知道的Shore先生不是每个人 |
[20:42] | makes partner at our firm or any other. | 都可以成为合伙人 无论在哪间公司都一样 |
[20:44] | Otherwise our letterhead would be 20 pages long. | 否则我们的信笺的抬头就有20页那么长了 |
[20:46] | But as an institutionalized practice, | 但是作为一种公司惯例 |
[20:48] | you keep all associates believing | 你总是让员工 |
[20:50] | they have a chance to make partner, | 觉得有机会可以成为合伙人 |
[20:52] | especially the exceptional ones, | 特别是有特殊才华的人 |
[20:55] | even if you never have any | 即便是你根本就 |
[20:56] | intention of doing so. Isn’t that right? | 没有这种打算 对吗? |
[20:59] | We encourage all our attorneys to do good work. It’s their job. | 我们激励我们的员工做好他们的工作 这是他们的本分 |
[21:07] | That incident in the conference room a week ago with the cake knife… | 上个星期在会议室里发生的事… |
[21:15] | that really rattled you, didn’t it? | 的确让你很恼火 对吗? |
[21:20] | – Excuse me? – A man held a knife to your throat. | – 你想说什么? – 一个人用刀抵着你的喉咙 |
[21:24] | You perceived it as a grave threat. It rattled you. | 让你感到死亡的威胁 这让你很恼火 |
[21:32] | The experience was not a pleasant one. | 这的确不是什么好的经历 |
[21:37] | No, I’m sure it wasn’t. | 的确不是 |
[21:44] | But let’s talk about what’s really going on here, shall we? | 但是让我们来看看到底发生了什么事 好吗? |
[21:47] | A gifted, eccentric and loyal | 一个有才华 行为怪异而又对公司忠诚 |
[21:50] | employee who worked for 15 years on a promise | 的员工为了一个承诺而埋首默默工作15年 |
[21:53] | momentarily lost control of his senses | 当梦想破灭的时候 |
[21:56] | when his one dream was taken away. | 他做出了失控的行为 |
[21:59] | And yet the DA’s office has charged my client | 然后地方检察官以各种 莫须有的罪名控告我的委托人 |
[22:02] | ( |
简直就像<林白绑架案>的翻版 1976年电视剧 主人公蒙冤而死) |
[22:05] | Because ultimately they’re just following orders | 而在幕后指使他们的 |
[22:07] | from the great and powerful Schmidt, aren’t they? | 正是我们这位伟大而强大的Schmidt女士 不是吗? |
[22:10] | – Objection. Relevance? – Sustained. Mr. Shore… | – 反对 与此案有什么关系? – 反对有效 Shore先生… |
[22:13] | Did someone move for a mistrial? Because I’m fine with that. | 有人认为这是无效审判吗? 这我可以接受 |
[22:15] | You will keep your questions relevant, Mr. Shore. | 你只能提出相关的问题Shore先生 |
[22:18] | Nothing further. | 我问完了 |
[22:23] | When Mr. Espenson was denied | 当Espenson先生已经失去了成为 |
[22:25] | partnership with the firm, was he fired? | 公司合伙人的机会 他有被解雇吗? |
[22:28] | No, he was offered a position | 没有 我们提供了一个律师的职位给他 |
[22:30] | of counsel and was free to stay. | 他可以选择留下 |
[22:32] | And what salary would Mr. Espenson | 那么如果Espenson先生继续留在公司 |
[22:34] | have made if he’d stayed at the firm? | 他的薪水将会是多少? |
[22:37] | Approximately $300,000 per year. | 大概是每年30万美金 |
[22:42] | $300,000 a year? | 30万一年? |
[22:45] | Sounds like a real coal mine | 听起来Crane, Poole & Schmidt事务所 |
[22:47] | at Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 真像是一座金矿 |
[23:12] | It’s not going very well, is it? | 情况不大好 对吗? |
[23:16] | No, it’s not. | 是的 不大好 |
[23:18] | Jerry, it may be time to start thinking | Jerry 也许是时候考虑一下 |
[23:20] | of who will take care of Linda if… | 当你不在的时候… |
[23:23] | You’re away. | 将由谁来照顾Linda了 |
[23:24] | Oh, God! Oh, God! | 噢 天啊 噢 天啊! |
[23:29] | Jerry, I’m going to make a | Jerry 我会以你暂时精神失常 |
[23:31] | case for temporary insanity | 为由进行辩护 |
[23:32] | that is as compelling as it can possibly be, | 虽然比较牵强 |
[23:35] | but it’s thin at best. | 但是也只能这样了 |
[23:38] | And I must be frank with you. | 而且我必须坦白告诉你 |
[23:41] | I don’t know if it will be enough. | 我不知道这样有没有用 |
[23:44] | My dad is a mathematics professor at Cornell, | 我父亲是康奈尔大学的一名数学教授 |
[23:48] | and he’s always saying, “may I have some toast?” | 他总是说 “我可以要些土司吗?” |
[23:53] | I don’t understand. | 我听不懂 |
[23:54] | He says it over and over again, | 而他总是不停地说 |
[23:57] | “May I have some toast? May I have some toast?” | “我可以要些土司吗?” “我可以要些土司吗?” |
[24:00] | And eventually he says it enough, | 而当他说了很多遍之后 |
[24:03] | and someone always gives him toast. | 总会有人满足他的要求 |
[24:06] | Your father? | 你父亲? |
[24:07] | He never gives up. That’s what I’m saying. | 他从来都不放弃 这就是我所说的 |
[24:09] | It’s the toast. Bingo. | 土司会有的 中了 |
[24:12] | We should never give up. | 我们决不应放弃 |
[24:16] | No, we won’t give up, Jerry. | 我们不会放弃的 Jerry |
[24:28] | I felt like a cross between Clarence Darrow. | 我感觉就像是Clarence Darrow上身了 (美国30年代著名的刑事辩护律师) |
[24:31] | And, uh, Al Pacino in that movie where he shouts. | 还有就像在电影里的叫喊着的Al Pacino (Al Pacino 奥斯卡影帝) |
[24:35] | You are really good at trial law. | 你真的很擅长法律诉讼 |
[24:37] | You should, um… | 你应该 呃… |
[24:39] | Maybe next life. | 下辈子吧 |
[24:42] | Anyway, enough about me. Let’s talk about you. | 好了 别说我了 说一下你自己吧 |
[24:44] | Why are you getting involved with a dead guy? | 为什么你要和一个快死的人约会? |
[24:50] | I, uh, try not to think about it. | 我 呃 我尝试着不想这点 |
[24:53] | I do find myself being strangely forthcoming with you. | 我自己也觉得奇怪为什么我会喜欢和你在一起 |
[24:57] | Oh, so you’re my count Guido. | 噢 那你就是我的Guido伯爵了 |
[25:01] | Who? | 谁? |
[25:03] | Count Guido da Montefeltro. | Guido da Montefeltro伯爵 |
[25:06] | Uh, from Dante’s “inferno”. | 出自但丁的<神曲 地狱篇> |
[25:08] | Dante meets Guido in hell. | 但丁和Guido在地狱碰面 |
[25:09] | Guido tells him that if he thought his | Guido告诉但丁如果他所说的话 |
[25:11] | words would ever reach the real world, | 有可能传到阳间 |
[25:12] | he’d never reveal his true feelings to anyone. | 那么他就不会向任何人表露他的真实感情 |
[25:15] | But because he thinks Dante’s dead, | 但是他认为但丁已经死了 |
[25:16] | he tells him everything. | 所以他告诉了但丁一切 |
[25:19] | So you think I’m honest with you | 所以你认为我对你那么诚实 |
[25:21] | because you’re, um, a dead guy? | 是因为你是一个 呃 死人? |
[25:25] | Something like that. | 大概是这个意思 |
[25:27] | So, Guido, can I do the closing? | 那么Guido 我能做结案陈词吗 |
[25:37] | It’s called Asperger’s syndrome. | 这叫做阿斯伯格综合症 |
[25:38] | And as you suspected, it is hereditary. | 正如你料想的那样 这是遗传病 |
[25:41] | Asperger’s syndrome? | 阿斯伯格综合症? |
[25:44] | Sounds like something you cure with an ointment. | 听起来像可以用药膏治好的病 |
[25:47] | It’s a form of autism. | 这是孤独症的一种表现形式 |
[25:49] | From the behavior that you’ve described | 这是从你所描述的行为 |
[25:51] | and from what I read in his, uh, personnel file… | 还有我读到的 呃 他的个人档案…中推断出来的 |
[25:55] | Oh, dear, however did you get hold of that? | 噢 天啊 你从哪里得到那份档案的? |
[25:57] | Jerry Espenson is a classic case. | Jerry Espenson是一个典型病例 |
[26:01] | No eye contact, strange tic-like behaviors, | 不做眼神接触 奇怪的局部抽搐行为 |
[26:04] | passion for a single subject, in this case, the law. | 对某样物体具有狂热的爱好 这里表现为法律 |
[26:06] | Sudden outbursts. | 突然性感情失常 |
[26:08] | Basically their brains can’t process | 基本上来说 他们的大脑不能处理 |
[26:10] | ordinary nonverbal cues that | 普通人用来进行日常交流的 |
[26:12] | most people use to communicate. | 各种非语言信号 |
[26:14] | I know it sounds strange. | 这听起来的确很奇怪 |
[26:16] | I’m not one to judge. | 不应该由我来判断 |
[26:18] | Do you think Jerry Espenson knows he has it? | 你觉得Jerry Espenson 知道他有这种病吗? |
[26:21] | I doubt it. Most adults don’t know. | 我不觉得 多数人都不知道自己得了这种病 |
[26:23] | It wasn’t even considered a disorder until 1995. | 甚至直到1995年才被认定为是一种病 |
[26:40] | Denny | Denny. |
[26:42] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[26:43] | It’s your prenup from your last marriage. | 这是你上一次婚姻的婚前协议 |
[26:52] | It’s hard to believe I was ever that young. | 真难想象我曾经也年轻过 |
[26:54] | I took the liberty of drawing | 我增加了一些新的条款 |
[26:57] | up a new one with some addendums. | 起草了一份新的 |
[27:04] | “In the event that either party | “在协议双方其中之一 |
[27:05] | becomes physically or mentally incapacitated, | 丧失身体或是精神上的能力时 |
[27:07] | their assets… “ | 他们的资产… “ |
[27:10] | This isn’t about protecting me. | 这根本就不是在保护我 |
[27:11] | This is about protecting the firm. | 是在保护这间事务所 |
[27:12] | You’ve been through wives | 你曾经有过数任妻子 |
[27:14] | before, Denny, five of them. | Denny 准确是五任 |
[27:16] | This firm is the constant. | 而事务所只有一间 |
[27:18] | We’re the ones who are still here, | 它是属于我们大家的 |
[27:19] | and this does look after your best interests. | 而且这份协定的确保障了你的最大利益 |
[27:23] | You mean the best interests of the firm. | 你指的是这间公司的最大利益 |
[27:24] | Oh, for God’s sake, Denny. | 噢 看在上帝的份上Denny |
[27:26] | Someone has to worry about this | 总要有人为公司着想 |
[27:27] | firm, and since you won’t, I have to. | 既然你不关心 那么只好由我来做承担责任 |
[27:29] | Because you’re a senior partner, | 但是你只是高级合伙人 |
[27:31] | yet your name isn’t on the door. | 门上没有你的名字 |
[27:33] | Mine is. First name on the door. | 而我的名字排在第一位 |
[27:35] | I’m not interested in getting into an historical argument with you. | 我没有兴趣和你讨论历史问题 |
[27:38] | Why, because I built this firm from the ground up? | 为什么 因为是我创建了这间事务所? |
[27:41] | I care about what could happen to this firm now! | 我只关心事务所现在的情况! |
[27:44] | Let me tell you what’ll happen to this firm if Denny Crane left. | 让我告诉你如果Denny Crane不在了 这间公司会变成怎样 |
[27:46] | It would dry up and blow away and you with it! | 它会和你一样枯萎而凋零! |
[27:49] | I’m the big gun on this boat, the captain! | 我是这艘船上的老大 船长! |
[27:52] | And you’re nothing but a skinny, overpaid deckhand! | 而你只是一个小小的领着过高薪水的水手而已! |
[27:57] | No, I am the deckhand who steers the ship, | 才不是那样 我是这艘船上的舵手 |
[28:00] | because the captain isn’t up to it anymore! | 因为船长已经不再胜任这份工作了! |
[28:03] | Get out. | 出去 |
[28:05] | Look over the new document, sign it and get it back to me today. | 好好看看这份新协议 签好名今天拿回给我 |
[28:08] | I’m not signing anything. | 我不会签任何东西的 |
[28:19] | I can’t believe we’re here today | 我简直不敢相信我们今天在这里的原因 |
[28:20] | because these parents care too much about their child. | 是因为家长们太过关心自己的孩子 |
[28:24] | The truth is our children are growing up | 事实是我们的孩子在一个 |
[28:26] | in a frighteningly competitive world. | 竞争激烈的环境中长大 |
[28:28] | They’ll face global competition the | 他们将要面对的是我们从来 |
[28:29] | likes of which we’ve never seen before, | 没有见过的全球化竞争 |
[28:30] | and we are unprepared. | 而我们对此手足无措 |
[28:32] | The most recent study ranked American students | 最近的研究表明美国的学生 |
[28:34] | 16th in the world in science, | 自然科学排在全球第16位 |
[28:36] | 19th in the world in mathematics. | 数学排在全球第19位 |
[28:38] | Of American 12th graders, | 在美国的国民教育的12个年级中 |
[28:39] | 30% of the boys and 17% of the girls cannot read at the basic level. | 30%的男孩和17%的女孩 不能进行最基本的阅读 |
[28:44] | This type of failure will kill our kids, | 这种情况会毁了我们的孩子 |
[28:46] | and that’s what George and Gigi Gering are trying to prevent. | 而这正是Gering夫妇想要避免的 |
[28:48] | These parents are simply trying to secure | 他么只是想尽可能地 |
[28:50] | their daughter’s future as best they can, | 保护他们的女儿的将来 |
[28:52] | a future that they know will be | 因为他们知道她的未来 |
[28:54] | challenged with ever-increasing competition. | 将会面临着更多的竞争和挑战 |
[28:56] | What I would have given to have | 如果我也能够拥有一对像他们那样的父母 |
[28:58] | parents as involved as the Gerings. | 如果你问我 我会说 |
[29:01] | If you ask me, their daughter’s lucky her parents care so much. | 他们的女儿真是幸运 能够拥有那么关心她的父母 |
[29:12] | Before I start, um, | 在我开始之前 |
[29:14] | I know you think your parents weren’t involved, but look at you. | 我知道你认为你的父母不像他们 但是看看你 |
[29:17] | I think you turned out super. | 我觉得你现在过得挺好的 |
[29:20] | By the way, your honor, I’m, uh, I’m dying. | 另外说句 法官阁下 我 呃 我就快死了 |
[29:23] | – I object! – You object. | – 我反对! – 你反对 |
[29:24] | He’s trying to garner sympathy, your honor. | 他在尝试获取同情 法官阁下 |
[29:26] | Not at all, your honor. | 并没有 法官阁下 |
[29:27] | I only mean to say that my current | 我只是想表示 我的现状 |
[29:29] | situation gives me a unique view on life. | 让我可以从一个独特的角度来看待生活 |
[29:32] | Sustained. Mr. Post, proceed with your closing. | 反对有效 Post先生 请开始你的结案陈词 |
[29:36] | Right. Moving on. | 好吧 这就开始 |
[29:38] | The Gerings want to be involved in their child’s education, | Gering夫妇想要介入他们孩子的教育进程 |
[29:41] | and they should be. | 而且他们认为应该介入 |
[29:42] | But in their zealotry, they left one thing out of the equation. | 但是在他们狂热的行为中 他们忽略了教育中的另一方 |
[29:48] | The teacher. | 老师 |
[29:49] | Because let’s face it, your honor, we treat our teachers like crap. | 让我们面对这个事实吧 法官阁下 我们把老师都看作是废物 |
[29:53] | Instead of training our educators properly | 我们不但没有给予他们良好的培训 |
[29:55] | and believing in them and incentivizing them with | 相信他们并且给予他们良好的待遇 |
[29:58] | decent wages, we disrespect them, | 反之 我们不尊敬他们 |
[30:00] | we challenge them at every turn. | 我们质疑他们所做的任何事 |
[30:01] | And the government, in their no child | 而我们的政府 因采取<不让一个儿童落后法> (由布什总统于2002年 在俄亥俄州哈密尔顿中学签署) |
[30:03] | left behind act, have created a monster. | 造就了一个怪物体系 |
[30:05] | Instead of teaching children to be innovative, | 与其教会孩子们创新意识 我们的教育者 |
[30:07] | our educators are forced to cheat to the test. | 被迫要在测验中动手脚 |
[30:09] | And it’s been documented at nationwide, | 而且有文件证明 |
[30:11] | some teachers are themselves cheating on those tests, | 有些教师为了保住自己的饭碗和奖金 |
[30:13] | because their salaries, their bonuses, | 甚至在自己的考核中作弊 |
[30:15] | their job security are linked to the test scores. | 因为他们的工作和考核挂钩 |
[30:29] | Sit down, sit down. | 坐下 坐下 |
[30:33] | And on the other side we have parents like the Gerings | 另一方面 像Gering夫妇这样的家长 |
[30:36] | coming at them from all angles, questioning their every move, | 持续地从各个方面质疑教师们的教学 |
[30:39] | instead of putting their faith in them. | 而不是去信任他们 |
[30:42] | But they do it from a good place. | 但是他们的目的达到了 |
[30:43] | I mean, all they want is complete and utter control. | 我的意思是 他们所要的只不过是完全的控制权 |
[30:49] | And believe me, I know all | 相信我 |
[30:50] | about wanting control of your life | 我知道拥有控制权的感觉 |
[30:52] | and having very little of it. | 而且我也多少有那么一点这种权力 |
[30:54] | But you can’t control life. | 但是你不能够控制自己的人生 |
[30:56] | You can’t control your daughter. | 你也不能够控制你的女儿的人生 |
[30:58] | You can’t control the teacher. | 还有老师的 |
[30:59] | All you can do is inspire them to be innovative thinkers, | 你能够做的就是 期待着他们成为一个能够创新的思考者 |
[31:02] | people who tap into their own creativity and competence to try new things, | 能够用他们的创新思维和能力去尝试新事物 |
[31:07] | to challenge the status quo, to make new discoveries. | 改变现状 创造新发明 |
[31:10] | And our kids will do all that and more | 如果我们给他们一点空间 让他们自由发挥 |
[31:12] | if we just back off and let them grow. | 他们将会做得更好 |
[31:21] | Just my luck, one of the little bastards will come up with a cure for cancer. | 对我而言 希望这些小家伙们 能够找到治疗癌症的方法 |
[31:38] | They say Albert Einstein may | 有人说爱因斯坦也许有 |
[31:40] | have had Asperger’s syndrome. | 阿斯伯格综合症 |
[31:42] | Thomas Jefferson | (美国第三任总统《独立宣言》的主要起草人) Thomas Jefferson. |
[31:45] | Some say even Bill Gates exhibits certain signs of it. | 有的人甚至说Bill Gates也有类似的症状 |
[31:49] | Very good company. | 可微软是间好公司 |
[31:55] | Jerry? | Jerry? |
[31:59] | It’s a relief, actually. | 事实上 这是一种解脱 |
[32:02] | You think? | 你这么认为? |
[32:03] | I always hated that I couldn’t be normal. | 我总是恨自己与众不同 |
[32:07] | Turns out… it’s because I’m not. | 原来… 那是因为我的确与众不同 |
[32:14] | Jerry, it’s also a viable defense. | Jerry 这个辩诉可行 |
[32:17] | We just need the psychiatrist to give you a diagnosis. | 只要让医生为你做一个诊断 |
[32:20] | Oh, no, no, no, no. | 噢 不 不 不 |
[32:21] | Jerry, without a clinical diagnosis… | Jerry 没有医学诊断的话… |
[32:22] | With a diagnosis in court, it’ll be a matter of public record. | 如果在庭上出示这个证据 那就会进入我的档案 |
[32:26] | I will be the autistic lawyer. | 我就会成为一个病态律师 |
[32:28] | Forget about disbarment! | 别说什么剥夺律师资格了! |
[32:30] | No one will ever hire a mental case! | 没有人会请一个有精神问题的律师! |
[32:32] | Jerry, listen to me… | Jerry 听我说… |
[32:33] | No, then I certainly could never be a lawyer again. | 不 那样的话我就再也不能够成为一个律师了 |
[32:35] | No, no, no, no! | 不 不 不! |
[32:49] | After carefully reviewing the testimony, | 在仔细考虑了双方的证词后 |
[32:51] | as well as my own conduct as a parent of a teenager, | 同时也参考我本身教育孩子的方式 |
[32:56] | I am ruling in favor of the plaintiff. | 我裁定原告胜诉 |
[32:59] | – Yes! – Mr. Post, control yourself. | – 好极了! – Post先生 请控制你的情绪 |
[33:01] | Sorry, your honor. Sorry, everybody. | 抱歉 法官阁下 各位 |
[33:04] | Mr. and Mrs. Gering, | Gering先生和夫人 |
[33:06] | it is plainly evident that you love your daughter, | 你们的确很爱你们的孩子 |
[33:08] | but your interest in her studies | 但是你们对她学业上的过度关注 |
[33:10] | has, in my view, become interference. | 我的看法是 变成了一种干涉行为 |
[33:13] | Therefore, I am granting the | 因此 我批准原告提出的 |
[33:15] | petitioner’s request for injunctive relief. | 禁令救济要求 |
[33:19] | You may call Ms. Carpenter once every three weeks, | 你们每隔3个星期可以 和Carpenter小姐联络一次 |
[33:22] | and you can have one parent-teacher conference per term. | 而你们每个学期可以召开一次家长教师会 |
[33:26] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[33:29] | – Thank you both so much. – You’re welcome. | – 谢谢你们 – 不用谢 |
[33:33] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[33:35] | – Nice work, counselor. – Yeah. Oh, nuts! | – 干得不错 律师 – 太好了 哦 不太好! |
[33:38] | You know, I didn’t get a chance to ask the court reporter | 要知道 我没有找到机会要求法庭书记员 |
[33:39] | to read back someone’s testimony. | 重读某人的证词 |
[33:41] | That would have been awesome. | 那将会更精彩 |
[33:42] | Do you want to go, um, celebrate? | 你准备去哪儿庆祝? |
[33:46] | You know what? I’ll be out in a minute. | 你知道吗?我想呆多会儿 |
[33:48] | I just want to, um, savor the moment. | 我想要 嗯 感受一下这一刻 |
[33:52] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[34:32] | – Asperger’s syndrome. – What? | – 阿斯伯格综合症 – 什么? |
[34:33] | I wasn’t familiar with it either, | 我也对此不太熟悉 |
[34:35] | but these three highly regarded | 但是这儿有三位知名的 |
[34:37] | psychiatrists have heard of it, | 精神病专家对此很熟悉 |
[34:39] | and they’re all convinced Jerry Espenson suffers from it. | 而且他们一致认为Jerry Espenson得了这种病 |
[34:42] | It doesn’t change anything. | 那不能说明什么 |
[34:44] | It actually changes a lot. | 事实上它说明了许多问题 |
[34:45] | According to the Americans with disabilities act, | 根据美国残疾人法案 |
[34:48] | it changes Jerry Espenson from | 它使得Jerry Espenson从一个 |
[34:50] | an oddball who attacked his boss | 袭击上司的怪胎 |
[34:52] | to a man who has suffered his whole | 变成一个因患有孤独症 |
[34:54] | life from a form of behavioral autism. | 而饱受折磨的人 |
[34:55] | It also changes your case from a winner to a loser. | 它同样让你们由胜方变为败方 |
[35:02] | What are you looking for? | 你想怎么样? |
[35:04] | Dismiss the charges. | 取消控诉 |
[35:05] | No. | 不可能 |
[35:06] | There’s no reason to prosecute this man. | 没有起诉这个人的理由 |
[35:08] | Shirley, you must have something to say about this. | Shirley 你有什么看法吗? |
[35:10] | I do. | 有 |
[35:11] | I’m sorry Jerry has autism. It explains a lot. | 我很遗憾Jerry得了这种病 它说明了很多东西 |
[35:14] | But what’s to stop him from doing it again, | 但是要怎样才能使他不再做同样的事 |
[35:18] | from attacking someone else or worse? | 去攻击其他人或者更糟? |
[35:21] | Because he wants to get better. | 他只是想要变得更出色 |
[35:25] | There’s medications that can | 药物治疗可以帮助他 |
[35:26] | help control his outbursts, | 控制他的情绪 |
[35:28] | behavioral therapy to | 行为疗法可以帮助他 |
[35:29] | rehabilitate his social skills, | 重新获得社交技能 |
[35:30] | occupational therapy for his tics. | 作业疗法可以改变他的小动作 |
[35:33] | It’s what’s fair and what’s right. | 这既公平又合理 |
[35:38] | Would you excuse us, please? | 请让我们单独说几句话 |
[36:00] | Shirley, in the time that I’ve known you, | Shirley 自从我认识你以来 |
[36:02] | I’ve never seen you do what you’re doing now. | 我从没见你做过像现在这样的事 |
[36:06] | You said to me at the outset | 你一开始和我说过 |
[36:07] | you were looking for justice. | 你总是在寻求正义公平 |
[36:09] | Jerry Espenson has been | Jerry Espenson在他的生命中 |
[36:11] | suffering needlessly his entire life. | 一直承受着这种折磨 |
[36:15] | Now he has a chance to find a measure of peace. | 现在他有一个机会获得安宁 |
[36:17] | That’s justice, Shirley, isn’t it? | 这不是体现了正义公平吗Shirley? |
[36:27] | You’ll get him help? | 你会帮他吗? |
[36:29] | My word. | 说到做到 |
[36:42] | It’s over? | 结束了? |
[36:45] | It is. | 是的 |
[36:48] | Jerry, it’s best you leave now. | Jerry 你现在最好离开这里 |
[36:52] | Shirley’s largesse will only go so far. | Shirley的容忍度有限 |
[37:00] | I just, I want to, um… | 我 我只是要 呃… |
[37:05] | Good-bye, Alan. | 和你说再见Alan |
[37:23] | So Guido? | 那么Guido? |
[37:24] | Who do you see playing me in the movie? | 你认为拍成电影的话谁饰演我比较好? |
[37:27] | I’m thinking Denzel. | 我认为Denzel不错 (丹泽尔华盛顿是好莱坞著名黑人演员) |
[37:28] | I don’t think this case was | 我可不认为这部片子 |
[37:29] | the stuff Oscars are made of. | 可以获得奥斯卡奖 |
[37:31] | To me it was. | 对我来说可以 |
[37:32] | I don’t get it. | 我不明白 |
[37:34] | You’ve built a | 你白手起家 |
[37:36] | billion-dollar company from the ground up. | 创建了一个价值十亿的公司 |
[37:37] | Why does this excite you? | 为什么会对打官司那么感兴趣? |
[37:40] | I don’t know. | 我也不知道 |
[37:42] | Having stocks, futures, it’s | 拥有股票和未来 |
[37:44] | sort of a fantasy, you know? | 这是一个梦想 你知道 |
[37:46] | You can’t really see it. | 可这都是看不见的东西 |
[37:48] | But a courtroom, a judge, someone who needs my help, | 但是在法庭里 法官 某人需要我的帮助 |
[37:52] | that I can see, smell, hear, touch, taste. | 我可以确实的看见 闻到 听见 摸着 体会 |
[37:57] | It’s four stars, five senses. | 四星级 五味俱全 |
[38:01] | I was really good in there, wasn’t I? | 我的表现的确不错 是吗? |
[38:03] | I imagine you’d be pretty good at anything you try. | 我想你做什么事都可以很成功 |
[38:14] | I start chemo again tomorrow. | 我明天要再次开始化疗了 |
[38:19] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:27] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[39:34] | You hate me, too, don’t you? | 你也讨厌我 是吗? |
[39:37] | Bev, I don’t know you well enough to hate you | Bev我还没有了解你到要讨厌你的程度 |
[39:39] | or love you or be indifferent to you. | 或者爱上你又或者无视你的程度 |
[39:44] | Denny said you spoke your mind, but jeez Louise. | Denny已经说过你很直爽 天 他说得对 |
[39:50] | I will say the fact that | 我会说事实上 |
[39:52] | everyone else at this firm does not have | 这间公司的其他人都对你没有好感 |
[39:54] | a favorable opinion of you is | 其实对你来说是一件 |
[39:57] | certainly a point in your favor. | 好事 |
[40:18] | – Paul – Denny – Paul. – Denny. | |
[40:21] | I’ve got a pair of Celtic | 我这有两张凯尔特人队 |
[40:23] | tickets for tomorrow night, | 明晚比赛的票 |
[40:25] | if you’re interested. | 有兴趣吗 |
[40:31] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[40:34] | – Denny – Yeah? | – 嗯? – Denny. |
[40:36] | Well, I’m just surprised | 我很惊讶 |
[40:40] | after our argument. | 我们刚吵完一架 |
[40:42] | Argument? | 吵架? |
[40:43] | Denny, it was just yesterday. | Denny 昨天才发生的事 |
[40:45] | Paul, I would remember if we had a fight. | Paul 如果有这回事 我会记得的 |
[40:48] | We almost came to blows. How could you not… | 我们都快要打起来了 你怎么会忘记… |
[40:50] | Paul, would you rather rehash all that, | Paul 你是真的要旧事重提 |
[40:52] | or should we just pretend that I forgot? | 还是干脆让我假装忘了? |
[40:54] | If you’ll forgive me. I left Bev on simmer. | 我先告辞了 我让Bev一个人寂寞地呆着 |
[40:59] | She should be coming to a boil rather nicely now. | 她现在应该很想我了 |
[41:13] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[41:15] | My favorite girl, my favorite guy. | 我宠爱的女人和我中意的男人 |
[41:17] | I warmed up your cigar for you. | 我帮你点好了雪茄 |
[41:20] | Well, it’s not the first | 很好 这已经不是第一次 |
[41:21] | time you left my stogie smoking. | 你让我的”雪茄”冒烟了 |
[41:23] | Well, I’m gonna let you | 好吧 我让你们 |
[41:24] | two young men have your time, | 两个小伙子呆会吧 |
[41:26] | and I ll see you later. | 晚点见 |
[41:29] | – Bev? – Yeah? | – 什么? – Bev? |
[41:30] | Do it once before you leave. | 走前再来一次 |
[41:33] | – Bev Crane – Oh, that’s my girl. | – 哦 这才是我的女孩 – Bev Crane. |
[41:37] | Good night, Alan. | 晚安Alan |
[41:39] | Good evening, Bev. | 再见Bev |
[41:46] | So… | 那么… |
[41:48] | do you like her yet? You promised. | 你现在喜欢她了吗? 你答应我的 |
[41:51] | I did, and I do. | 是的 我喜欢 |
[41:52] | I thought you would. | 我就知道 |
[41:55] | She has many fine qualities. | 她相当出色 |
[41:56] | She makes my friend smile. | 而且她能使我的朋友露出笑容 |
[41:58] | That’s the only quality that matters. | 这是最重要的一点 |
[42:00] | Alan | Alan, |
[42:03] | Bev is the woman I’ve always dreamed of. | Bev就是我梦想中的那类女人 |
[42:08] | An angel in the bedroom, a whore in the kitchen. | 厨房里像荡妇 卧室里像主妇 |
[42:12] | I think it’s the other way around. | 我想你说反了 |
[42:14] | Not last night. | 至少昨晚是这样 |