时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Boston Legal | |
[00:03] | Do we have anybody in corporate who | 法人团体中有谁是 |
[00:05] | understands this credit card world? | 熟悉信用卡业务的么? |
[00:07] | Somebody… Hands. | – 有谁… – 怪手 |
[00:08] | – Sorry? – Hands Espenson, | – 谁? – 怪手Espenson |
[00:10] | banking and finance genius. | 银行及金融业天才 |
[00:12] | Only don’t call him “Hands.” | 只要别叫他”怪手” |
[00:13] | – Why would I? – Bingo! | – 为什么我要这么做? – 宾果! |
[00:15] | Why doesn’t he move his hands? | 为什么他的手一动不动? |
[00:16] | – Bingo! – You making fun of me? | – 宾果! – 你是在取笑我么? |
[00:18] | Should we be married and sensible and go home and | 我们是否应该明智点娶个老婆 |
[00:21] | do whatever men do at home? | 然后回家尽点男人应尽的职责? |
[00:23] | I have nothing against | 我对婚姻并不抗拒 |
[00:24] | marriage. I’ve done it five times. | 我已经结过5次婚了 |
[00:26] | But here’s the thing about wives. | 但让我抗拒的是老婆 |
[00:27] | They don’t let you play with your friends. | 她们不准你和朋友出去玩 |
[00:29] | I’ll take a friend over a wife every time. | 我每次都是朋友优先的 |
[00:43] | Not only a patron of the arts, | 不仅仅是艺术品的捐赠人 |
[00:45] | Denny Crane is a generous | Denny Crane乐善好施 |
[00:48] | contributor of his time, energy and enthusiasm. | 贡献了他的时间 精力和热忱 |
[00:51] | What the hell kind of charity is children’s group? | 儿童团是个什么鬼慈善机构? |
[00:54] | We’re teaching children to read. | 我们教孩子们读书 |
[00:56] | No, we’re buying them food. | 不 我们填饱他们的肚子 |
[00:57] | I thought that we were providing | 我还以为我们是为他们提供 |
[00:59] | them with old people to play with. | 和老人家一起玩乐的机会 |
[01:00] | I believe it’s a children’s theater group. | 我认为这是个儿童戏剧团 |
[01:02] | Well, how can kids with | 那么 患有肌肉萎缩症的儿童 |
[01:04] | muscular dystrophy do theater? | 如何表演戏剧? |
[01:05] | They don’t have muscular dystrophy. | 他们没有肌肉萎缩症 |
[01:07] | Then what the hell are we doing here? | 那我们来这儿做什么? |
[01:09] | Judas priest, there’s a game on. | 犹大牧师,来找点乐子玩玩 |
[01:11] | Don’t be long, Denny. Your speech is up next. | 别去太久 Denny 马上就要到你演讲了 |
[01:13] | And you might want to actually | 考虑到你是主宾 |
[01:15] | practice it, considering you’re the honoree. | 你一定想要练习一下演讲词 |
[01:16] | Not to worry. | 不用担心 |
[01:18] | It’s all up here. | 全在这儿呢 |
[01:20] | Please tell me there’s no press here tonight. | 拜托 今晚这里千万别有记者 |
[01:33] | Scotch. Single malt. | 单麦威士忌 |
[01:36] | Straight. | 纯的 |
[01:42] | Nice night. | 真是个美妙的夜晚 |
[01:47] | Suddenly it is. | 突然之间变得美妙了 |
[01:49] | He’s often told me that writing a check is easy. | 他总是告诉我说 写张支票很容易 |
[01:52] | Should we go look for him? | 我们是不是该去找他? |
[01:53] | He’ll be here. Denny’s | 他会回来的 Denny从不会错过 |
[01:55] | never one to miss the spotlight. | 在聚光灯下露脸的机会 |
[01:56] | But rolling up your sleeves and | 但是卷起袖子 |
[01:58] | getting dirty out on the front line, | 在前线摸爬滚打 |
[02:00] | that is not easy. | 却并不那么容易 |
[02:02] | Faster! | 快点! |
[02:04] | And I’ll wrap this up | 我要在他的头涨得太大前 |
[02:06] | before his head swells too much. | 赶快结束 |
[02:09] | The Emcee’s winding down, people. | 主持人在做结束语了 |
[02:11] | I knew we should have tagged him. | 我就知道我们得盯住他 |
[02:15] | Ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们 先生们 |
[02:17] | the children’s group | 儿童团 |
[02:20] | applauds and honors Mr. Denny Crane! | 让我们用热烈的掌声向Denny Crane先生致敬! |
[02:25] | Dear lord. | 我的主啊 |
[02:34] | Thank you, thank you! | 谢谢 谢谢各位! |
[02:37] | There’s no doubt we do it all for the children. | 毫无疑问 我们这么做都是为了孩子 (双关 暗指之前在衣帽间的事) |
[03:15] | And what did you think of my speech? | 那么 你觉得我的演讲如何? |
[03:17] | Excellent. | 精彩至极 |
[03:18] | Thank you for writing it for me. | 谢谢你等我 |
[03:20] | Give me a call sometime. | 有时间打电话给我 |
[03:22] | You know how to use a business card, don’t you? | 你知道怎么用名片 是吧? |
[03:24] | You just whip it out of your pocket and… | 你只要把它从口袋里抽出来 然后… |
[03:26] | Blow. | 随风飞舞 |
[03:33] | – You look puzzled. – I am. | – 你看起来很迷惑 – 的确如此 |
[03:35] | A woman I just had sex with hands me her card, | 一个刚和我做完爱的女人递了张名片给我 |
[03:37] | and I have no desire to throw it away. | 而且我并不想扔掉它 |
[03:39] | You had sex with her here? | 你在这儿和她做爱? |
[03:41] | Hot, sweaty sex right there in the coat check room. | 热情如火 大汗淋漓的在衣帽间里做爱 |
[03:50] | Keep it. | 留着吧 |
[04:07] | Daniel Post | Daniel Post, CEO. |
[04:09] | K reisberg-Pellam, incorporated. | Kreisberg-Pellam有限责任公司CEO (首席执行官) |
[04:10] | He has stage-4 metastasized lung cancer. | 他患有4级转移肺癌 |
[04:15] | Never fun. | 真可怜 |
[04:16] | A major pharmaceutical company | 一家很大的制药公司 |
[04:18] | was testing a new cancer drug, | 正在对一种抗癌新药做测试 |
[04:19] | and Post used his friendship | 而Post利用他与 |
[04:21] | with the CEO of that company | 那家公司CEO的友情 |
[04:23] | to get himself put into the test group | 使自己被放入被测试人群 |
[04:25] | and to make sure that he got | 并确保他得到的是真正的药物 |
[04:28] | the actual drug, not the placebo. | 而非安慰剂 |
[04:30] | The rich are different from you and me. | 有钱人是与你我不同的 |
[04:33] | Certainly from you. | 当然与你不同 |
[04:34] | So Post is being sued by another cancer patient | 所以 Post被同一课题组的 |
[04:39] | who was in the same study and | 另外一名最终得到安慰剂的 |
[04:41] | who ended up getting the placebo. | 癌症病人起诉 |
[04:43] | – What’s the cause of action? – What you’d expect? | – 动机是什么? – 你是如何期待的? |
[04:46] | Conspiracy, intentional | 阴谋 |
[04:48] | infliction of emotional distress. | 故意施加感情上的痛苦 |
[04:50] | We’re going to court today. | 我们今天要上法庭了 |
[04:52] | Today? | 今天? |
[04:54] | I thought I could handle it myself, but, uh… | 我本以为自己处理得了 但是 呃… |
[04:59] | Olivia died of cancer, didn’t she? | Olivia死于癌症 是么? |
[05:04] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:06] | At any rate, I’m hoping you can second-chair. | 无论如何 我希望你能来帮忙 |
[05:10] | You ready? | 你准备好了么? |
[05:12] | Daniel Post… Uh, Denise Bauer, attorney, Daniel Post… | 呃 Denise Bauer 律师 |
[05:14] | Guy dying of cancer. | 将要死于癌症的人 |
[05:16] | Is that the way you describe me? | 你就是这么形容我的? |
[05:17] | Rich guy dying of cancer. | 将要死于癌症的有钱人 |
[05:20] | Denise will be first-chairing. I | Denise将要来帮忙 |
[05:22] | just filled her in on the case. | 我刚让她也加入这个案子 |
[05:24] | Actually, you left out our defense. Do we have one? | 事实上 你漏掉了被告及其辩护律师 我们有么? |
[05:29] | I like her. | 我喜欢她 |
[05:30] | I’m not sure if the jury is | 我不确定陪审团 |
[05:32] | going to like me, Mr. Post. | 是否会喜欢我 Post先生 |
[05:33] | I have a client who tried to | 我的一个委托人 |
[05:35] | buy his way into a cancer study. | 打算用钱买通让自己加入一个癌症研究 |
[05:36] | Could you tell me what possessed you to do that? | 你能告诉我他为什么这样做么? |
[05:38] | I got cancer. | 我患有癌症 |
[05:41] | Are you really my lawyer? | 你真的是我的律师么? |
[05:43] | Or did the make-a-wish | 或者是许愿基金会 (美国一协助18岁以下 患绝症的小孩 实现其最大心愿的非营利组织) |
[05:45] | foundation just finally come through? | 终于出现了? |
[05:54] | Um, Alan? Do you have a minute? | 呃 Alan 你有空么? |
[05:56] | What can I do for you, Jerry? | 我能为你做点什么 Jerry? |
[06:04] | They’re meeting soon to vote | 他们马上就要开会投票 |
[06:06] | on this year’s partnerships, | 选出今年的合伙人关系 |
[06:08] | and this will be my third time to be up for partner. | 而这将是我第三次要考虑找一个合伙人 |
[06:12] | My last time. | 我的最后一次 |
[06:14] | I see. | 我明白 |
[06:15] | I was wondering if maybe | 我想知道 你是否可以 |
[06:17] | you can tell me where I stand? | 给我找个合适的位置? |
[06:19] | You know the right people around here, and I know… | 你对这里的人员很了解 而我… |
[06:24] | well, no one. | 一无所知 |
[06:26] | Jerry, you are an extraordinary attorney. | Jerry 你是个杰出的律师 |
[06:30] | I am. | 我的确是 |
[06:33] | I constructed a chart | 我建了一张图表 |
[06:35] | that reveals my involvement is typically | 那上面显示出 我很显然是 |
[06:39] | the key variable in the firm’s winning a case. | 公司赢得一场官司的关键变量 |
[06:43] | Bingo! | 宾果! |
[06:44] | It was my research that was the determining factor | 我的研究是 |
[06:47] | in the Simmons vs. Araygo oil | Simmons对Araygo石油那场官司胜利 |
[06:51] | victory, not to mention 252 other cases. | 的决定因素 更不用提其余的252场官司 |
[06:54] | Because of my research! | 都是因为我的研究! |
[06:56] | Bingo! | 宾果! |
[06:59] | But still, I wonder whether the senior | 但是 我仍然想知道 |
[07:03] | partners are aware of my contributions. | 资深合伙人是否意识到我的贡献 |
[07:06] | Jerry, you know I have a tremendous | Jerry 你知道 |
[07:10] | affection for my own intelligence, | 我对于自己的才智极其自负 |
[07:12] | and even I think you are smarter than me. | 即使是我 也认为你的智慧远胜于我 |
[07:15] | Oh, I am. | 哦 的确如此 |
[07:18] | I’ll see what I can find out. | 我会考虑的 |
[07:30] | How long have you worked for Devlin | 你为Devlin MacGregor医药公司工作多久了 |
[07:32] | MacGregor pharmaceuticals, Mr. Clark? | Clark先生? |
[07:34] | – Eight years. – And what was your position? | – 8年 – 你的职位是什么? |
[07:36] | I was a lab technician in oncological protocols. | 我是肿瘤系统的实验室技术员 |
[07:39] | You worked on a drug to cure cancer? | 你在为一种新型抗癌药物工作? |
[07:41] | Trade name is pneumotrox. | 商品名为pneumotrox |
[07:42] | It was specifically designed to hinder | 它是为阻止肺部细胞快速癌变 |
[07:44] | the rapid cellular mutation in the lungs. | 而特别研发的 |
[07:46] | And did Devlin MacGregor conduct a | 那么Devlin MacGregor公司是否进行了双盲试验 (临床试验中试验者与受试者 都不知道使用的为何种药物) |
[07:48] | double-blind study to test pneumotrox? | 来检测pneumotrox这种药物? |
[07:51] | – Sort of. – Why do you say “sort of,” sir? | – 有那么点儿 – 为什么你说”有那么点儿” 先生? |
[07:53] | The test was corrupted. | 试验过程被腐化了 |
[07:55] | – Objection. Foundation. – Overruled. | – 反对! 与本案无关 – 反对无效 |
[07:57] | On July 9th of this year you | 今年的7月9日 |
[07:59] | received a call from your supervisor. | 你接到了一通主管打来的电话 |
[08:00] | What did he want? | 他想要做什么? |
[08:01] | Well, he told me to ensure that patient 1123 | 他要我确保1123号病人 |
[08:04] | received the pneumotrox and not the placebo. | 得到的是pneumotrox而不是安慰剂 |
[08:06] | – Why? – He didn’t say, | – 为什么? – 他没说 |
[08:08] | but I subsequently discovered | 但我后来发现 |
[08:10] | that patient 1123 is Mr. Post. | 1123号病人就是Post先生 |
[08:11] | It seemed fairly obvious. | 其用意显而易见 |
[08:12] | – Objection! – Sustained. | – 反对! – 反对有效 |
[08:14] | What made you come forward? | 是什么让你站出来的? |
[08:17] | Doing so has cost you your job, correct? | 这样做让你丢掉了工作 对么? |
[08:21] | – It did. – Then why? | – 是的 – 那为什么? |
[08:23] | Because some things are more important than a job. | 因为有些事远比一份工作重要 |
[08:27] | Mr. Clark, how many patients | Clark先生 这项对比试验中 |
[08:29] | were involved in the experiment? | 一共包括多少位患者? |
[08:30] | – Uh, 2,000. – And statistically speaking, | – 呃 2千人 – 统计学上来讲 |
[08:34] | how would it change the | 如果其中一个人 |
[08:36] | likelihood of one person out of the 2,000 | 被指定拿到真正的药 |
[08:38] | receiving the drug over the placebo | 其他2千人拿到安慰剂的几率 |
[08:41] | if another person was | 会如何变动呢? |
[08:43] | directed to get the drug? Not much. | 变动不大 |
[08:45] | Because there was no guarantee that | 因为没有保证 |
[08:47] | any of the volunteers would receive the actual drug. | 任何志愿者能够拿到真正的药物 |
[08:50] | The odds were originally 50-50. | 最初的几率是一半一半 |
[08:52] | The odds would change minimally. | 几率会最低程度的变动 |
[08:55] | Instead of 50-50, | 而不再是一半一半 |
[08:58] | the odds would change from 49.95 to 50.05. | 几率会在49.95%到50.05%间变动 |
[09:04] | Sounds right. | 听起来没错 |
[09:05] | So virtually no change at all? | 那么 本质上没有任何变化? |
[09:08] | If you were dying, miss Bauer, | 如果你即将辞世 Bauer小姐 |
[09:11] | .05 is everything. | 0.05%就是一切 |
[09:22] | Shirley | Shirley, |
[09:23] | I wanted to ask you about Jerry | 我想要跟你谈谈Jerry Espenson |
[09:25] | Espenson. He’s up for partner. | 他正打算找一个搭档 |
[09:26] | I can’t discuss that with you. | 我不能跟你讨论这件事 |
[09:28] | Why not? | 为什么不能? |
[09:29] | Well, that determination is for partners only, | 这种决定只有合伙人可以做 |
[09:31] | and you’re not a partner. | 而你不是合伙人 |
[09:33] | I’m sure you understand, Alan. | 我肯定你能理解 Alan |
[09:35] | Absolutely. | 毫无疑问 |
[09:36] | Jerry Espenson? | Jerry Espenson? |
[09:38] | You mean Hands? Not a chance. He’s a weirdo. | 你是说 “怪手”? 很不走运 他是个怪人 |
[09:40] | Denny, he’s not a weirdo, and he | Denny 他不是一个怪人 |
[09:41] | doesn’t like to be called “Hands.” | 并且也不喜欢被叫做“怪手” |
[09:43] | How could you not? The Hands! | 怎么能不这样叫他 看他的手 |
[09:44] | A peccadillo to be sure. We all have them. | 的确是他的毛病 但是我们每个人都有瑕疵 |
[09:47] | I don’t have any peccadilloes. | 我没有任何瑕疵 |
[09:48] | What’s your name, Denny? | 你的姓名 Denny? |
[09:49] | Denny Crane. Ah, yes. | Denny Crane(起重机) 哦 不错 |
[09:52] | My point is, Jerry Espenson | 我想说的是 Jerry Espenson |
[09:55] | deserves to be made a partner. | 理应成为合伙人 |
[09:57] | What is that? | 那是什么? |
[09:58] | Bev bought me a camera phone. | Bev给我买了个照相手机 |
[10:04] | The woman you enjoyed in the coatroom? | 那个和你在衣帽间一起共度美好时光的女人? |
[10:06] | We can send each other pictures. | 我们可以彼此传照片 |
[10:10] | This damn thing takes forever to load. | 该死的东西 总是不停的加载 |
[10:13] | Things going well with Bev then? | 那么说和Bev的进展还顺利吧? |
[10:15] | She said she wanted to fulfill | 她说她想实现 |
[10:18] | every single one of my fantasies. | 我的每一个梦想 |
[10:20] | I made a list. I had to type it myself. | 我列了一份清单 但我不得不自己打字 |
[10:23] | My assistant threatened to quit. | 我的助手用辞职来威胁我 |
[10:25] | Denny, you’re glowing. | Denny 你容光焕发 |
[10:26] | She’s an amazing woman, Al. | 她是一个令人惊异的女人 Alan |
[10:28] | It’s like having a one-night stand, | 这仿佛是一夜情 |
[10:30] | but every night with the same woman. | 不过 夜夜都是相同的女人 |
[10:32] | I’m thrilled for you, Denny. | 我为你感到高兴 Denny |
[10:33] | – Now, about Jerry… – He’s not a rainmaker, Alan. | – 现在 关于 Jerry… – 他不是一个善于游说的人 Alan |
[10:36] | Shirley says he’s not bringing in enough money. | Shirley说他并没有带来足够多的收益 |
[10:38] | He’s toast, weird toast. | 他的土司 奇怪的土司 |
[10:41] | Would you at least let me have a | 那你至少让我 |
[10:42] | glance at his performance review then? | 看一眼他的工作鉴定 |
[10:44] | Well, it’s highly confidential. | 哦 这可是高度机密 |
[10:46] | Just don’t tell anybody where you got it. | 千万不要告诉任何人 你是从哪里得到它的 |
[10:49] | Oh, picture’s finally loaded! | 哦 照片终于下载好了! |
[10:51] | Look at this. | 看看 |
[10:54] | She’s very limber for a woman her age. | 就这种年纪的女人而言 她的身体非常柔韧 |
[10:58] | Alan, I’d like to be alone with my phone. | Alan 我想和我的手机独处一会 |
[11:01] | Just, uh, 15 minutes. | 只要15分钟就好 |
[11:17] | “Poor people skills.” | “贫乏的人际交往能力” |
[11:19] | – Just hands it to you. – “Not presentable.” | – 正好由你接管 – “不像样” |
[11:21] | – That’s my Denny. – “Not a team player.” | – 那是我的 Denny – “不是一个团体行动者” |
[11:24] | I can see why it’s | 我终于明白为什么这是个机密了 |
[11:25] | confidential. It’s revolting and mean. | 令人厌恶而又平庸 |
[11:26] | You don’t have all the facts, Alan. | 你并不了解所有的情况 Alan |
[11:28] | Apparently I do. | 很显然我了解 |
[11:29] | Apparently at this firm, being | 很显然 在我们公司 |
[11:30] | white and male isn’t even enough. | 只是白种男人并不足够 |
[11:32] | You also need to be a golden retriever | 你还需要成为一只 |
[11:33] | with a pedigree to be considered for partner. | 有血统的金毛猎犬 才会被考虑做合伙人 |
[11:34] | I’m telling you… It’s a wonder | – 我告诉你 – 真是令人惊讶 |
[11:36] | you slipped under the radar, Shirley, | 你避过了所有的雷达 Shirley |
[11:37] | with your vagina and all. | 用你的阴道和其他部位 |
[11:38] | Jerry’s had a few blowups, Alan, | Jerry总是大发雷霆 Alan |
[11:40] | one in front of a client. Yes, yes. | – 甚至有一次是在他的委托人面前 – 是的 是的 |
[11:41] | It’s on his permanent record back in 2000. | 可以在他2000年的永久记录中找到 |
[11:45] | It also says he made a | 上面还记录了 他曾令几个 |
[11:47] | couple of clients feel awkward. | 委托人很难堪 |
[11:48] | Could that be perhaps because he’s an awkward guy? | 会不会是因为他本身就是个笨拙的人? |
[11:51] | It also says he doesn’t play golf. | 同时 也记载着 他不喜欢打高尔夫 |
[11:53] | Actually, he doesn’t kiss any ass | 事实上 他不拍任何人的马屁 |
[11:55] | whatsoever. He just does his job. | 只是做好他的工作 |
[11:56] | And no one’s denying that, | 那无可否认 |
[11:58] | but partners need to bring in clients. | 但是合伙人必须带来顾客 |
[12:00] | That’s how we make our money. | 我们就是这样获得收益的 |
[12:02] | Partners need to attend social dinners | 合伙人需要出席社交宴会 |
[12:04] | and make public speaking engagements, | 要在演讲场合曝光 |
[12:07] | and they need to do it without being… | 他们需要这样做 并且…… |
[12:10] | Different. | 并且不显得与众不同 |
[12:11] | Very dangerous, Shirley. | 非常危险 Shirley |
[12:14] | Very dangerous. | 非常危险 |
[12:18] | You know how the obituaries always say things like, | 你知道 死亡讣告总是如此形容 |
[12:21] | so-and-so died after a brave struggle with cancer? | 某某人在与癌症进行了顽强的抗争之后 不治身亡 |
[12:25] | I’m not brave. | 我不勇敢 |
[12:27] | I’m terrified. | 我很害怕 |
[12:29] | Cancer can make a coward out of anybody. | 癌症能把任何人变得胆小懦弱 |
[12:33] | So when you heard about the | 所以 当你听说 |
[12:33] | trials for this new drug… | 这种新药进行临床测试….. |
[12:35] | I leapt at it. | 我欣然接受 |
[12:37] | I’m not a fool. | 我不是白痴 |
[12:39] | I knew it was a random chance I’d | 我知道这是个很偶然的机会 |
[12:41] | even get the drug and not the placebo. | 能让我吃到真正的药 而不是安慰剂 |
[12:42] | Okay, I was willing to leave that to fate. | 好吧 听天由命 |
[12:47] | He wasn’t. | 但他不是 |
[12:49] | Mr. Hopper, when you began the test, | Hopper先生 当你开始参加这个试验时 |
[12:51] | did you stop taking chemo or any | 你是否停止了化疗及 |
[12:52] | other treatments for your cancer? | 其他癌症治疗手段? |
[12:54] | No, | 没有停用 |
[12:55] | but there were other promising tests I | 但是 因为Devlin MacGregor |
[12:57] | didn’t enter because of Devlin MacGregor. | 我拒绝参加了另一些很有希望成功的实验 |
[12:59] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[13:00] | And did Devlin MacGregor ever guarantee | 那么 Devlin MacGregor是否向你承诺 |
[13:02] | that you would receive the actual drug? | 会给你用真正的药品? |
[13:04] | No, they did not. | 不 没有承诺 |
[13:06] | Isn’t it true that you’ve already | 但你不是已经就这个案件对 |
[13:07] | sued Devlin MacGregor for this | Devlin MacGregor 提起了诉讼 |
[13:09] | matter and received a sizable settlement? | 并且得到了较合理的处理了么? |
[13:11] | – Objection. Relevance. – I’m going to allow it. | – 反对 与本案无关 – 控方请继续 |
[13:14] | Yes, but I spent every penny on medical treatments. | 是的 我把每一分钱都用在了药物治疗上 |
[13:18] | But the money isn’t the reason I’m doing this. | 但我这样做 并不是为了钱 |
[13:20] | I’m doing this because I | 只是因为 |
[13:21] | feel I have a moral obligation | 我觉得 我有责任 有义务 |
[13:23] | to stand up to people like Daniel Post. | 同Daniel Post之类的人抗衡 |
[13:26] | People like that with money and power, | 这些有钱有势的人 |
[13:29] | they think they can get away with murder, | 总认为自己可以逍遥法外 |
[13:31] | and now he’s murdering me. | 而现在 他正在谋杀我 |
[13:37] | No further questions, your honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官阁下 |
[13:39] | Court will resume tomorrow at 10 A.M. | 明天上午10点开庭 |
[13:43] | Denise, are you trying to | Denise 你正在试图 |
[13:45] | make the jury hate our client? | 令陪审团讨厌我们的委托人么? |
[13:48] | If so, you’re doing a good job. | 如果是这样的话 你做的非常好 |
[13:50] | I’m starting not to like me either. | 我也开始讨厌我自己了 |
[13:52] | Mr. Post, I… | Post先生 我… |
[13:54] | Denise, I’m kidding. You’re doing an excellent job. | Denise 玩笑而已 你的辩护非常棒 |
[13:57] | I have a few questions. Um… | 我有几个问题要问 呃… |
[14:00] | Are you free for a bite? | 有时间么? |
[14:02] | Um, couldn’t you just ask me now? | 呃 你现在是在约我么? |
[14:04] | Well, yeah, but then it wouldn’t be a date. | 哦 是的 不过这并不是一次约会 |
[14:14] | Our client just asked me out to dinner. | 我们的委托人刚刚邀请我出去吃饭 |
[14:16] | Well, good. | 哦 很好 |
[14:17] | Then you can use the time to convince him to settle. | 这样 你也可以利用这段时间来劝他和解 |
[14:25] | Jerry, it’s not looking like a lock. | Jerry 它看起来并不是那么简单 |
[14:29] | What’s the problem? | 出了什么问题? |
[14:31] | Generally, it’s poor people skills. | 通常 这就是“贫乏的人际交往能力” |
[14:35] | You mean I’m odd? | 你是说 我是个怪人? |
[14:37] | Does it say in my file I’m odd? | 在我的档案里也说我是怪人? |
[14:40] | No. | 不 |
[14:40] | Alan, I would appreciate candor here, | Alan 我很感谢这种坦率 |
[14:42] | even should you deem it hurtful! | 即使你认为这是一种伤害! |
[14:45] | According to your file, you’ve | 根据档案里的记录 |
[14:47] | occasioned clients to feel uncomfortable. | 你曾经令一些委托人觉得很尴尬 |
[14:49] | Some have even expressed | 甚至 有些人对于与你相处的方式 |
[14:52] | reservations about being alone with you since… | 持保留意见 因为… |
[14:57] | Evidently, you also once pushed | 显然 你也曾经在辩论过程中 |
[14:59] | opposing counsel over some dispute. | 把对方辩护律师推到 |
[15:02] | He made fun of me. | 他在嘲笑我 |
[15:04] | As conditioned as I’ve | 虽然 对于嘲笑奚落 |
[15:07] | become to ridicule, sometimes… | 我已经习以为常 但有时… |
[15:11] | so I’m out. | 所以 我出局了 |
[15:12] | It’s not over. | 还没有结束 |
[15:14] | No, I deserve this more than Brad Chase. | 是的 我承受的比Brad Chase多许多 |
[15:16] | He cuts off a priest’s fingers, | 他切断了牧师的手指头 |
[15:19] | and I lose out because I push a bully? | 可 我却因为推到了一个坏蛋 而被判出局? |
[15:22] | – It’s not right. – It’s not over. | – 这是不对的 – 还没结束 |
[15:25] | Jerry, I give you my word I’ll do what I can. | Jerry 我保证我将竭尽所能来帮助你 |
[15:35] | Oh, Shirley. I’m sorry. | 哦 Shirley 很抱歉 |
[15:37] | I didn’t hear your knock. | 我没有听到敲门声 |
[15:39] | Gee, I wonder why that could be. | 天 我想我知道原因 |
[15:41] | Maybe because you were too | 也许是因为你正忙着 |
[15:43] | busy having sex on your desk? | 在桌子上做爱? |
[15:45] | How did you know? I had the door closed. | 你怎么知道的? 我已经关上门了 |
[15:47] | Ah, but you neglected to draw all the blinds. | 哈 但是你忘记关上百叶窗了 |
[15:52] | Oversight. | 太不小心了 |
[15:54] | We were both facing the same way. | 我们俩面对同样的状况 |
[15:56] | I’m all too horribly aware | 你所面临的状况 |
[15:57] | of which way you were facing. | 让我觉得实在是很可怕 |
[15:59] | Oh, goodness me. | 哦 天哪 |
[16:01] | I am so rude. | 我太冒昧了 |
[16:03] | I’m Beverly Bridge. | 我是Beverly Bridge |
[16:06] | Shirley Schmidt | Shirley Schmidt. |
[16:09] | Did you finish the notes on | 你已经把那些候选合伙人 |
[16:10] | the partnership candidates? | 的资料准备好了? |
[16:12] | I’ve been busy. | 我太忙了 |
[16:13] | The vote’s tomorrow. | 明天就要投票了 |
[16:14] | 50 of the most senior partners will be there. | 届时将有50位资深合伙人出席 |
[16:19] | This is unprofessional, Denny. | 这很不专业 Denny |
[16:20] | You are setting a very bad | 你给公司里的其他人 |
[16:22] | example for the rest of the firm. | 树立了一个坏的榜样 |
[16:23] | Understood. | 明白 |
[16:25] | And from now on in this office, those blinds go down | 从今往后 在这种事情发生之前 |
[16:28] | before anybody else does. | 我一定会拉下办公室里的百叶窗 |
[16:37] | She’s jealous. | 她在嫉妒 |
[16:39] | Poor thing. | 可怜的人儿 |
[16:44] | Hi, Brad. | 嗨 Brad |
[16:45] | Hey, Jerry. How’s it going? | 嘿 Jerry 最近怎么样? |
[16:46] | Oh, a little nervous about the partner thing. You? | 哦 关于合伙人的事情有些不安 你呢? |
[16:49] | I can’t say I’m not. | 我也很难保持镇定 |
[16:52] | Got any indication? | 有什么迹象? |
[16:54] | Not really. | 并没有 |
[16:55] | Paul seems to think it looks good, but | Paul似乎认为状况对我很有利 但是 |
[16:56] | I certainly didn’t help my chances by… | 我很显然没能抓住机会… |
[16:58] | Lewiston? He says it looks good for you? | Lewiston? 他说状况对你很有利? |
[17:00] | Well, he couldn’t make any promises. | 但他不能做出任何承诺 |
[17:01] | Did he mention how it looks for me? | 那他提到过我么? |
[17:03] | No, we didn’t really discuss you. | 没有 我们没有讨论你 |
[17:05] | Do you ever? | 你是否曾经提到过我? |
[17:07] | I beg your pardon? | 什么? |
[17:09] | Do people discuss me? | 人们是否在议论我? |
[17:10] | Do they talk about me being | 他们是否因为我的举止 |
[17:12] | odd because of my behavior? | 就说我是个怪人? |
[17:14] | Jerry, everyone here knows you to be a fine lawyer. | Jerry 这里的每个人 都知道你是个非常优秀的律师 |
[17:17] | That’s all I’ve ever heard discussed. | 这就是我所听到的全部议论 |
[17:21] | It’s in my file that I’m violent | 但就因为我曾经把另一个律师推到了 |
[17:23] | because I pushed another lawyer once. | 于是在档案里 我被写成一个激进的人 |
[17:25] | How do you know what’s in your file? | 你怎么知道 你的档案里记录了什么? |
[17:27] | I have a mole. | 我有一个长期潜伏的间谍 |
[17:29] | Right here on my neck. | 在这 就在我的脖子上面 |
[17:33] | It’s not like me to make a joke. | 讲笑话 这一点都不像我 |
[17:37] | I hope it’s in my file I’m funny. | 但我希望 在档案里能写上我很幽默 |
[17:39] | That’s a good social skill. | 那是一项很棒的社交技能 |
[17:50] | Given the evidence, a | 现在有充足的证词 可靠的证人 |
[17:51] | credible witness and documented proof | 及可信的证据来表明 |
[17:53] | that you were administered the | 你服用的是真实的药物 |
[17:55] | actual drug and not a placebo… | 而不是安慰剂… |
[17:56] | Question. Go. | – 提问 – 请说 |
[17:58] | When do you see yourself liking me? | 你是什么时候发现自己喜欢上我的? |
[18:00] | Um, Mr. Post, Daniel, um, | 呃 Post先生 我是说Daniel 呃… |
[18:04] | plaintiff’s attorney has been very | 原告方律师已经 |
[18:07] | effective in turning the jury against you. | 非常成功的令陪审团针对你 |
[18:09] | You come off as someone of | 你已经成为了一个 |
[18:11] | privilege who has everything | 拥有一切陪审团想要 却无法企及 |
[18:12] | the jury wants but doesn’t have. | 的特权的人 |
[18:15] | Except the girl. | 除了女人 |
[18:17] | Bottom line, it’s in your best interest to settle. | 底线是 你愿意和解 |
[18:21] | How about we negotiate a settlement? | 你来开个价钱如何? |
[18:23] | I’m not following. | 我不跟 |
[18:24] | I agree to settle the case | 如果你能停止讨论案情 |
[18:25] | if you agree to stop talking about | 并且承认这是一次正式的约会的话 |
[18:28] | it and declare this an official date. | 我愿意和解 |
[18:33] | Have you ever done anything nice for anybody, ever? | 你曾经帮助过其他的人么 哪怕一次? |
[18:37] | Bum, bum, bum. See, you’re | 呃… |
[18:38] | trying to get a look under the hood. | 看 你正窥探隐私 |
[18:40] | Not until you agree. | 除非你答应我的建议 |
[18:43] | – Agreed. – The answer is yes, | – 我投降(我同意了) – 答案是肯定的 |
[18:45] | but my mom taught me that it’s | 但是 我的母亲告诉我 |
[18:47] | impolite to brag about one’s good works. | 吹嘘自己的善举是非常无礼的 |
[18:49] | Then don’t brag. Tell. | 那就实话实说 讲吧 |
[18:52] | What’s to say? | 说点什么呢? |
[18:54] | Um, my company sent thousands of | 嗯 我的公司耗巨资 |
[18:56] | pounds of supplies down to New Orleans | 用以援助新奥尔良 |
[18:58] | before FEMA even put its pants on. | 而此时 在FEMA(联邦应急管理局)人员 还没来得及穿上裤子呢 |
[19:01] | I fund a charter school for | 在波士顿南部 我为智障儿童 |
[19:04] | learning-disabled kids here in south Boston. | 资助了一间学校 |
[19:06] | I don’t think the government | 我认为政府 |
[19:08] | does enough to help its people so, | 并没有给予他们足够的帮助 |
[19:09] | I give as much as I can. | 所以 我尽我所能 |
[19:12] | Do you know why I can do that? | 你知道 我为什么这样做么? |
[19:13] | Because you’re a rich guy | 因为你是一个 |
[19:14] | who throws his weight around. | 四处炫耀权势 仗势欺人的有钱人 |
[19:15] | It goes hand-in-hand. Money gives me connections. | 它渐渐走向联合 金钱为我建立了一种联系 |
[19:17] | Connections let me do what I want, get what I want. | 而这种联系可以随意做 任何我想做的事 轻易得到任何我想要的东西 |
[19:21] | You really don’t care what anybody thinks, do you? | 你根本就不关心别人是怎么想的 不是么? |
[19:24] | I got stage-4 lung cancer. | 我患了4级肺癌 |
[19:27] | I don’t give a damn what | 所以 我根本无不在意 |
[19:29] | anybody I don’t know thinks about me. | 其他人对我的看法 |
[19:31] | Life’s too short, really. | 生命短暂 真的 |
[19:37] | One more question. | 再多问一个问题 |
[19:41] | Why are you really settling? | 你为什么想要和解? |
[19:44] | Did Mr. Hopper’s testimony get to you? | 是Hopper先生的证词影响了你么? |
[19:48] | It did. | 的确是 |
[19:50] | But don’t get me wrong. I, I… | 但不要误会 我 我… |
[19:52] | I would do it again. | 如果重来 我依然会这样做 |
[19:55] | It was a chance. | 这是一个机会 |
[19:58] | So I took it, and, uh, | 所以 我抓住了这个机会 然后 呃 |
[20:01] | as it turned out, the pneumotrox | 结果证明 pneumotrox |
[20:04] | didn’t work as well as I’d imagined so… | 并没有如我所愿的发挥作用 |
[20:06] | given that I have less time than I’d hoped, | 假如 我活得时间不多了 |
[20:08] | I don’t intend to waste | 我不想把余下不多的时间 |
[20:11] | that time fighting a lawsuit, | 浪费在一场官司里 |
[20:13] | so I’ll settle. | 所以 我将和解 |
[20:17] | Now, more wine? | 那么 再来点葡萄酒? |
[20:37] | You look distressed. | 你看起来很沮丧 |
[20:39] | Your “Guns & ammo” magazine late again? | 你的”枪与军火”杂志又晚来了? |
[20:41] | She hasn’t called all day. | 她一整天都没有给我打过电话 |
[20:44] | – Ah, Bev. – It’s nearly 4. | – 哈 Bev – 将近4个小时了 |
[20:47] | She hasn’t called the office. | 她没往办公室打电话 |
[20:49] | She hasn’t called my cell phone. | 她也没打我的手机 |
[20:51] | I checked the machine at home at 9:15, 9:30, 9:45. | 我在9:15检查了一次手机 在9:30 9:45 又检查了两次 |
[20:55] | Okay, I sense a pattern. | 好的 我察觉到了点什么 |
[20:59] | I’ve done something. | 我一定做错了什么事情 |
[21:03] | I bought her a gift. | 我给她买了份礼物 |
[21:06] | I bought her a gift! | 我竟然给她买了礼物! |
[21:09] | Well, in time, I’m sure she’ll forgive you. | 随着时光流逝 我相信她一定会原谅你的 |
[21:11] | Don’t you see? I didn’t, I didn’t | 你难道还不明白? 我没有 我没有 |
[21:13] | give her money like I do most women. | 像对待其他女人一样 付给她钱 |
[21:14] | I didn’t have a personal | 我没有让我的私人购物助理去选礼物 |
[21:16] | shopper pick something out. I shopped. | 而是我亲自去买的 |
[21:18] | And I, Denny Crane… | 并且我 Denny Crane |
[21:22] | thought about what she would like. | 一直在考虑 她会喜欢什么 |
[21:26] | Maybe I’m, I’m having a stroke. | 也许 我 我中风了 |
[21:29] | – Maybe it’s the mad cow. – Maybe you’re in love. | – 也许我得了疯牛病 – 也许你坠入爱河了 |
[21:34] | I am delirious with joy. | 我一定是被这种喜悦的感觉 弄得神志不清了 |
[21:36] | Denny, you enjoy being with | Denny 你和Bev在一起的时候 你很愉快 |
[21:39] | Bev. She enjoys being with you. | 她也很愉快 |
[21:41] | Why don’t you just have fun in the moment | 你为什么不尽情享受这种快乐 |
[21:45] | and leave it at that? | 然后 到此为止? |
[21:47] | I knew you wouldn’t | 我就知道你根本不明白 |
[21:49] | understand, you heartless bastard. | 你就是个无情的蠢货 |
[21:55] | Wow, he’s got it bad. | 哇 他的情况不妙啊 |
[21:57] | You shouldn’t eavesdrop. | 你不应该偷听 |
[21:59] | Yes, he does, very. | 是的 非常糟糕 |
[22:02] | You wanted me to tell you when | 你想要我告诉你 |
[22:03] | that partnership voting thing was? | 合伙人投票会议什么时候开始么? |
[22:05] | It starts in 20 minutes. | 20分钟后 |
[22:11] | And now we turn our attention to | 现在 让我们关注 |
[22:13] | our next candidate, Brad Chase. | 下一位候选者 Brad Chase |
[22:17] | Excuse me. Uh, sorry to interrupt. | 不好意思 嗯 打断一下 |
[22:19] | I have an urgent announcement to | 我有一个关于国家安全 |
[22:22] | make regarding national security. | 的紧急提议 |
[22:23] | I don’t think our country is being run very well. | 我认为 我们国家的运转出现了问题 |
[22:29] | That concludes the national security announcement. | 这便导致了国家安全法案的缔结 |
[22:32] | Now onto other business, | 另一方面 |
[22:34] | I’m looking at a group of | 我所看到的是一群 |
[22:36] | partners in a world-class law firm, | 在世界一流的律师事务所的合伙人 |
[22:39] | each of whom owes some of | 他们每个人的成就 |
[22:41] | their success to Jerry Espenson. | 都应该或多或少归功于Jerry Espenson |
[22:43] | When any of you is stumped, | 当你们任何人遇到困难 |
[22:45] | and you need someone who has an | 需要某些 |
[22:47] | encyclopedic knowledge of the law | 对法律的渊博知识 |
[22:49] | and the creative spark to know how to apply it, | 并且知道怎样创造性的应对这些困难的人 |
[22:52] | whose door do you knock on? | 你会去向谁求助? |
[22:53] | Mr. Shore, we appreciate your | Shore先生 我们欣赏你的做法 |
[22:55] | input, but you are not a partner. | 但你不是一个合伙人 |
[22:57] | Yes, but that’s only because I can’t be trusted. | 没错 但那只是因为我不能被信任 |
[23:00] | I have here the | 我这里有 |
[23:03] | confidential report on Jerry Espenson, | 关于Jerry Espenson的机密报告 |
[23:05] | known to some of you who | 你知道 是你们中的一些更需要了解的 |
[23:07] | should know better as “Hands.” | “怪手”的另一面 |
[23:09] | Uh, this report, while acknowledging | 呃 关于这个报告 我们既然已经知道 |
[23:12] | that Jerry works very hard | Jerry工作非常努力 |
[23:14] | and has an astute legal mind, | 并且具有敏锐的法律头脑 |
[23:17] | also makes some veiled | 也产生了一些隐晦的 |
[23:20] | references to “inappropriate behavior,” | “不适当的行为” |
[23:22] | but really, this is about money, isn’t it? | 说真的 这都是为了钱 不是么? |
[23:26] | And whether Jerry Espenson brings in enough. | 还有Jerry Espenson 赚的是否够多 |
[23:29] | And don’t we all just love our money? | 我们都爱钱 不对么? |
[23:33] | You people must realize that once the rainmakers | 你们应当意识到一旦这些能够呼风唤雨的人 |
[23:37] | have brought in the million-dollar accounts, | 带来了百万美圆的帐户 |
[23:40] | those clients expect excellent | 那些客户都希望有个优秀的代表 |
[23:41] | representation for their money, | 来为他们的钱负责 |
[23:43] | and jerry is a big part of what they’re paying for. | jerry 无疑是最值得他们信赖的人选 |
[23:46] | My god, why isn’t being brilliant enough? | 我的上帝 为什么这样还不够杰出? |
[23:49] | Why can’t a lawyer be a valuable asset to this firm | 为什么一个律师不能成为这家公司有价值的资产 |
[23:53] | without being a smiling Ken | 而不是一个像Ken娃娃(芭比娃娃的男朋友) |
[23:55] | Doll with an aggressive handshake? | 一样的笑面虎? |
[23:56] | Does everyone at the firm have to be this guy? | 这公司的所有人都象这家伙一样吗? |
[23:59] | Mr. Shore, you have no standing at this meeting. | Shore先生 您已经不受会议的欢迎 |
[24:00] | We would like to ask you to leave, please, now. | 我们希望你现在就离开 |
[24:07] | Jerry Espenson has given 15 | Jerry Espenson已经在这家公司贡献了 |
[24:09] | years of his life to this firm. | 15年的时间 |
[24:13] | His work has been essential. | 他的工作很关键 |
[24:16] | How dare you invade the province | 你怎么敢闯进这样一个 |
[24:18] | of a private partnership meeting? | 私人的合伙人会议? |
[24:20] | I’m sorry. I didn’t think an | 抱歉 我不觉得 |
[24:21] | invitation was forthcoming. | 会有人邀请我 |
[24:22] | There’s a lot you don’t know about the | 法律行业中 |
[24:24] | business of running a law practice, Alan, | 有很多规则是你不懂的 Alan |
[24:26] | – The first rule being… – It’s a business. | – 第一条… – 这是在做生意 |
[24:28] | I understand that, Shirley, | 我懂 Shirley |
[24:28] | but it’s a service business. | 但这是一个服务的行业 |
[24:29] | You don’t peddle widgets. You don’t push stocks. | 你不是在叫卖杂物 你也不是在炒股 |
[24:31] | You sell your people, and as far your | 你是在卖你的人才 而且一旦你的人走了 |
[24:33] | people go, I’ll take Jerry Espenson over… | 我将取代Jerry Espenson… |
[24:34] | – Don’t give me… – Well, you need to hear it! | – 不要说了… – 事实上你需要听这些! |
[24:36] | I said nothing when you fired Sally Heep, | 当你炒掉Sally Heep时我什么也没说 |
[24:38] | whose only infraction was to sleep with me. | 她唯一的罪状就是和我睡觉 |
[24:40] | I made not a peep when you deftly | 当你轻车熟路的把Lori Colson赶出公司时 |
[24:41] | ushered Lori Colson out of the firm. | 我也装做没看见 |
[24:43] | I even understood when you fired Catherine Piper, | 我甚至理解你解雇Catherine Piper |
[24:44] | a woman I profoundly adore. | 一个我深深敬仰的女人 |
[24:45] | I swallowed all of it, | 这些我都忍了 |
[24:47] | because I know it’s a business. | 因为我知道这是在做生意 |
[24:49] | But to abuse a talented, selfless employee, | 但是虐待一个天才并且无私的雇员 |
[24:53] | only because his social skills lack polish, | 只是因为他缺乏社交经验 |
[24:55] | to allow him to work tirelessly under | 让他不知疲倦的工作而且 |
[24:56] | the delusion that he could make partner, | 错误的以为他能找到合作伙伴 |
[24:58] | a delusion you carefully nurtured, | 这是你给他造成的错觉 |
[24:59] | so as to make piles of | 这样短期内从他身上 |
[25:01] | money off him in the short-term, | 获得大量的钱 |
[25:02] | that’s a betrayal, Shirley, not just of Jerry, | 那是种出卖 Shirley 不只是因为Jerry |
[25:04] | but of you and your character, | 而且关乎你 |
[25:06] | which up till now I have | 和你那至今为止都让我 |
[25:08] | considered undeniably decent! | 觉得端庄正派的人格! |
[25:10] | – Are you finished? – No. | – 你说完了? – 还没有 |
[25:12] | Jerry Espenson no doubt will go off | Jerry Espenson无疑会 |
[25:14] | quietly into the night, as the meek often do, | 静静的隐没于夜色 就像开会时经常做的那样 |
[25:17] | but somebody around here has to get angry about it. | 但这儿的某些人应该为此感到气愤 |
[25:19] | Otherwise, you’ll just go | 否则你将离开 |
[25:20] | off and blithely do it again. | 离开并且在高兴的做一遍 |
[25:21] | We have not yet made a | 关于Jerry Espenson |
[25:23] | decision concerning Jerry Espenson. | 我们还没有作出决定 |
[25:24] | When we do, I will call you first to | 当我们有结果时 我会第一个告诉你 |
[25:27] | tell you it is none of your concern. | 这用不着你操心 |
[25:29] | There’s a saying, Shirley. Perhaps you’ve heard it. | 有句俗语 Shirley 你应该听过 |
[25:31] | All it takes for evil to | 所有邪恶能够得逞的原因 |
[25:32] | succeed is for good people to say, | 是善良的人说 |
[25:34] | “It’s a business.” | “这是在做生意” |
[25:45] | I’ve been given a death sentence. | 我已经被宣判死罪 |
[25:50] | And you’re the one person in this | 而你是这个房间里 |
[25:53] | room that knows exactly what that’s like. | 唯一确切明白这意味着什么的人 |
[25:56] | And there was this drug, and | 本来还有药 |
[25:58] | I thought it could help me, | 我原以为它会对我有帮助 |
[26:01] | so I used all my power and my | 所有我用尽全力 |
[26:04] | influence to make sure that I got it. | 来确保能够得到了它 |
[26:06] | But I didn’t think it through, | 但我没有想过 |
[26:07] | and I didn’t think that there | 也没有考虑到 |
[26:09] | might be consequences for other people, | 对其他人而言的重要性 |
[26:11] | in this case for you. | 在这件事上 |
[26:14] | And I see now that I hurt you… | 我现在发现我伤害了你… |
[26:18] | And I am sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[26:21] | This is our offer. | 这是我们的出价 |
[26:22] | It’s the only one we’re going to make, | 我们仅能做到这些 |
[26:26] | and it expires when we walk out the door. | 并且当我们走出这扇门后即刻失效 |
[26:40] | This is a very generous | 这是个非常慷慨的出价 |
[26:42] | offer. Think about your family. | 想想你的家人 |
[26:43] | I don’t care. | 我不在乎 |
[26:45] | This could be a very long and drawn out… | 那将会非常漫长… |
[26:47] | That’s exactly what it should be. | 它就应该那样 |
[26:51] | What do you want? | 你想怎么样? |
[26:54] | If I take your money, I won’t be hurting you. | 如果我拿了你的钱我不会伤害你 |
[26:57] | The only thing that will really hurt you now | 现在唯一能伤害到你的就是 |
[27:00] | is if I take your time, | 占用你的时间 |
[27:02] | and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. | 那就是我想做的 |
[27:22] | I need to talk to you. | 我得和你谈谈 |
[27:23] | – You’ll talk to me. – No, I won’t. | – 你会的 – 不我不会 |
[27:26] | You have a wife. You have a family. | 你有妻子 有家庭 |
[27:29] | You owe something to them, but | 你需要对他们负责 |
[27:31] | you also owe something to yourself. | 而你也需要对自己做点什么 |
[27:33] | I know this road. | 我理解你的心情 |
[27:36] | Do not allow anger to | 不要让愤怒 |
[27:38] | consume the last days of your life. | 浪费你生命中最后的时光 |
[28:02] | – Bev Bev. Yes, Denny Crane? | – 怎么了 Denny Crane? |
[28:04] | Would you like some… | 你想要些… |
[28:07] | money? | 钱么? |
[28:08] | I, I, I don’t… | 我 我 我不需要… |
[28:11] | Bev, I’m afraid. | Bev 我怕… |
[28:14] | – Of? – Myself, of course. | – 怕什么? – 我自己 当然 |
[28:18] | As godlike as I seem to you and other people, | 你和其他人都觉得我特别庄严 |
[28:20] | there’s a, there’s a… | 但在这… |
[28:23] | a mortal inside this godlike shell. | 庄严背的外壳下面有一颗平凡人的心 |
[28:30] | I don’t trust myself. | 我信不过我自己 |
[28:35] | Bottom line… | 底线是… |
[28:38] | I’m not a one-woman man. | 我不会只和一个女人过日子 |
[28:45] | You know, Denny. | 你知道吗 Denny |
[28:47] | We’re both much too old for | 在这件事上我们都太老了 |
[28:49] | this and too smart. We are? | – 而且都太过聪明 – 是吗? |
[28:51] | Is there a powerful man out there | 和你一样有权有势的男人 |
[28:52] | who hasn’t felt what you’re feeling? | 有哪个会不受这样的烦恼困扰么? |
[28:54] | No. | 没有 |
[28:56] | So why fight it? | 那为什么还要抗争? |
[28:57] | Look, people don’t change their | 听着 人们都不愿意改变本性 |
[28:59] | stripes, and you don’t want me to change you, | 你也不希望我改变你 |
[29:02] | and I certainly don’t want you to change me. | 我当然也不想让你改变我 |
[29:04] | Therefore, Denny Crane, | 既然如此 Denny Crane |
[29:07] | as long as we’re together, | 只要我们在一起 |
[29:09] | feel free to have sex with anyone else you want. | 你就可以随意和任何你想要的人做爱 |
[29:14] | Bev! | Bev! |
[29:19] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[29:28] | Brad | Brad. |
[29:29] | It was a very close vote but… | 选票非常接近 但是… |
[29:36] | You made it. | 你成功了 |
[29:37] | You are now officially a full | 你已经正式成为 |
[29:38] | partner at Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | Crane Poole & Schmidt公司的合伙人 |
[29:40] | – Congratulations. – Thank you, Paul. | – 恭喜 – 谢谢 Paul |
[29:42] | I will not let you down. | 我不会让你失望的 |
[29:46] | – Brad, on your knees. – What? | – 跪下 Brad – 什么? |
[29:48] | Denny, must we do this every single time? | Denny 我们一定要每次都这样吗? |
[29:51] | My name on the door. The answer would be “yes.” | 只要门上还有我的名字 答案就是肯定的 |
[29:53] | On your knees. | 跪下 |
[29:58] | Brad Chase hereby dub thee Brad Chase. | 我将此荣誉授予你 Brad Chase Brad Chase, I |
[30:04] | Welcome, partner. | 欢迎加入 合伙人 |
[30:05] | Thank you. | 感谢您 |
[30:07] | Milord? | 皇帝陛下? |
[30:17] | You wanted to see me, Shirley? | 你想见我是么 Shirley? |
[30:19] | Yes, Jerry. Out of courtesy, I’ll be brief. | 是的 Jerry 我会说得简明扼要 |
[30:23] | I’m very sorry, but you won’t be making partner. | 很抱歉 但合伙人不是你 |
[30:29] | But I’ve done everything I’ve been asked. | 但我做了需要我做的所有事情 |
[30:32] | Your work here is | 你做了大量的工作 |
[30:34] | considerable. It’s just not enough. | 但这还不够 |
[30:37] | Not enough? | 不够? |
[30:39] | I won’t lead you on. There will be no | 我不会与你合作 |
[30:41] | further opportunities for partnership. | 没有进一步合作的机会了 |
[30:43] | However, we certainly appreciate all your hard work, | 但是当然 我们很感激你的努力工作 |
[30:46] | and we welcome you to stay of counsel. | 我们欢迎你作为辩护律师留下 |
[30:49] | The choice is yours. | 选择权在你 |
[30:52] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[31:08] | You free for dinner? | 晚餐有时间吗? |
[31:10] | Because I got a private chef | 因为我有个私人厨师 |
[31:12] | that makes a mean breakfast in bed. | 做菜很糟糕 |
[31:14] | You see where I’m going with this. | 你知道我指什么 |
[31:17] | A friend of mine just made partner, so | 我的一个朋友刚成为合伙人 |
[31:20] | we’re gonna celebrate, you know, cake. | 我们要庆祝 你知道的 来点蛋糕什么的 |
[31:22] | – Rain check? – Sure, sure thing. | – 能延期么? – 当然 当然没问题 |
[31:24] | I got nothing but time. | 除了时间我什么也没有 |
[31:27] | Oh, wait, you know, that’s not true. | 哦 等等 那不是真的 |
[31:34] | Mr. Lewiston tried to impress upon me | Lewiston先生试图感化我 |
[31:36] | that I not consume the rest of my life with anger. | 不要在愤怒中度过余生 |
[31:39] | But the truth is, anger can satisfy, | 但实际上 当绝望已经如此空虚时 |
[31:42] | while despair is rather empty. | 愤怒也能令人满足 |
[31:44] | You don’t seem very satisfied. | 你看上去很不满足 |
[31:46] | This isn’t simply about vengeance, Mr. Post. | 那只是复仇 Post先生 |
[31:49] | If you were the only one out | 如果你是唯一一个 |
[31:50] | there corrupting medical testing, | 破坏了医疗检查的人 |
[31:51] | perhaps I’d take your money or if not, your apology. | 可能我会收下你的钱 或是你的道歉 |
[31:56] | But there are others like you. | 但是有其他人象你一样 |
[31:59] | Maybe this will send a message. | 或许这件事能留下些信息 |
[32:01] | Maybe that will be the final legacy of my anger. | 可能这是我愤怒的最后遗产 |
[32:12] | Guy acts like he’s the only one dying around here. | 好象这只有他自己要死去 |
[32:18] | About that dinner… | 关于那个晚餐… |
[32:24] | It’s not enough. | 那不够 |
[32:30] | It’s not enough. Where is my coffee mug? | 那不够 我的咖啡杯呢? |
[32:36] | Surprise! | 惊喜! |
[32:38] | Oh, no! | 哦 不! |
[32:40] | Look at that! | 快看 |
[32:43] | It’s not enough! | 那不够! |
[32:44] | It’s not enough! | 那不够! |
[32:46] | It’s not enough! | 那不够! |
[32:54] | My initials on the briefcase? Nice touch. | 我名字缩写在公文包上 不错 |
[33:11] | Jerry | Jerry. |
[33:15] | Why don’t you come on in, have a piece of cake? | 你为什么不进来吃块蛋糕? |
[33:23] | – Here, I’ll get it for you. – No, I can do it. | – 我来给你 – 不 我自己能来 |
[33:27] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[33:35] | How’s that, Shirley? | 怎样 Shirley? |
[33:38] | Is that enough? | 够吗? |
[33:44] | How about that? | 怎么样? |
[33:48] | Is that enough? | 够吗? |
[33:52] | Is that? | 够吗? |
[33:53] | Look, Hands. I mean, Jerry. | 听着 “怪手” 我是说 Jerry |
[33:57] | Everybody, stand back! I’ll kill her! | 所有人后退! 我要杀了她! |
[33:59] | I swear, I will kill her! | 我发誓我要杀了她! |
[34:13] | I want to be made partner. | 我想成为合伙人 |
[34:15] | I’m gonna draw up an agreement, | 我要草拟一份协定 |
[34:17] | and you’re gonna sign it, Shirley. | 你要在上面签字 Shirley |
[34:19] | I’ll include a hold | 我要在里面包括一个 |
[34:20] | harmless clause for this assault. | 这次攻击无罪的条款 |
[34:22] | But this is a crime. | 但这是犯罪 |
[34:23] | Hold harmless clauses are for | 无罪条款是为了 |
[34:24] | insurance and real estate, not for crimes. | 保险和房产 不是因为犯罪 |
[34:26] | Don’t say “crime.” We’re just talking here. | 不要说犯罪 我们只是在谈话 |
[34:27] | It certainly won’t cover attempted murder. | 这当然够不成谋杀 |
[34:29] | Don’t say “murder. | 不要说谋杀 |
[34:29] | You, substandard first year. | 你! 不合格的新人 |
[34:31] | Go pull the criminal law treatise | 去读一下《美国法律报告》22期 |
[34:33] | at 22 ALR, 3rd 12-28, reference cases | 第三部分12至28页那篇犯罪法律的论文 |
[34:35] | that hold extreme emotional conditions | 其中有提到这样的案例 |
[34:38] | diminish one’s responsibility for a crime. | 在犯罪过程中极度的情绪失控 会降低人的责任感 |
[34:40] | You! | 你! |
[34:41] | What do you think you’re doing? | 你知道你在干什么吗? |
[34:44] | You gonna get one of your guns? | 你要去拿你的枪? |
[34:45] | No, why would I do that? | 不,我为什么要那样做? |
[34:47] | The one day I don’t bring my sock holster. | 我不带手枪套的一天 |
[34:50] | You, substandard partner, | 你 不合格的合伙人 |
[34:54] | get me Rosenberg vs. Kaplan, 273 mass. 4-11. | 给我去看Rosenberg对Kaplan 273期全文 4-11页 |
[34:58] | The facts of a case can be | 这件事可以 |
[35:00] | construed to uphold an employment contract | 理解为支持一个雇佣合同 |
[35:02] | even though it’s entered into under duress. | 即使它是被迫的 |
[35:05] | You! | 你! |
[35:07] | Hot secretary that makes me nervous, | 性感秘书 让我紧张 |
[35:11] | get me a copy of the firm’s partnership agreement | 给我一份公司合伙人的协议书 |
[35:13] | and prepare to make some changes. | 并且准备做些改变 |
[35:16] | Jerry, this is never gonna work. | Jerry 这样行不通 |
[35:18] | Pipe down! | 放下! |
[35:20] | Don’t stand. Go! | 别站那 走! |
[35:24] | Get my guns! | 拿我的枪! |
[35:26] | – I’m calling the police. – Which guns should I get? | – 我要报警 – 我要拿哪把枪? |
[35:28] | No guns! Just look up the damn cases. | 没有枪 去看看那些该死的案例 |
[35:32] | “Subsection I, upon his or her motion,” | “分段,我在考虑到他(她)的情况下” |
[35:35] | “a named partner may unilaterally reconsider” | “一个指定的合伙人可以 单方面重新审议” |
[35:38] | “the rejection of a senior | “拒绝资深人员 |
[35:40] | associate for partnership.” | 成为合伙人” |
[35:41] | Did you get all that? | 你都写上去了吗? |
[35:42] | Yes, Jerry. | 是的 Jerry |
[35:44] | Please type it up. | 把它打上去 |
[35:47] | Clackety-clack! | 噼里啪啦! |
[35:52] | What’s going on? | 发生什么了? |
[35:54] | Hands went nuts. | “怪手”疯了 |
[36:01] | I found the cases you wanted. | 我找到了你要的案例 |
[36:03] | They’re excellent. | 它们非常精彩 |
[36:04] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:06] | Jerry | Jerry. |
[36:08] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[36:11] | Taking matters into my own hands. | 靠我自己的怪手把事情搞定 |
[36:14] | That’s right, people, I said “Hands.” | 没错 我说 “怪手” |
[36:17] | See, I can be just as funny as you jokesters. | 听着 我也能如此风趣 |
[36:20] | Why aren’t you all laughing? | 为什么你们都不笑? |
[36:22] | Don’t do this, Jerry, please. | 别这么做 Jerry 拜托 |
[36:24] | Stop now before this gets too out of hand… | 在事情失控之前… |
[36:28] | control. | 现在就停下来 |
[36:31] | I will help you. | 我会帮你的 |
[36:32] | Like you did with the partnership? | 就象你在选合伙人时做的那样? |
[36:34] | You don’t want to throw away | 你不想因为 |
[36:36] | an entire life’s worth of | 你的一时冲动 |
[36:38] | work over one emotional outburst. | 抛弃你一生的事业吧 |
[36:40] | I don’t want to see the most gifted legal mind | 我不希望看到我认为拥有 最杰出的法律头脑的人 |
[36:43] | I have ever encountered rotting in a prison cell. | 去进监狱 |
[36:51] | Now put down the knife, Jerry. | 把刀放下 Jerry |
[36:59] | On one condition. | 有一个条件 |
[37:03] | You represent me once I’m arrested. | 我被捕后你要做我的律师 |
[37:07] | I can’t. That’s a conflict of interest. | 我不能 那有利益冲突 |
[37:09] | I don’t care. | 我不管 |
[37:10] | You know the firm can waive that conflict, | 你知道公司能放弃那些冲突 |
[37:12] | and I know that you’ll honor that waiver, | 我知道你会乐于放弃的 |
[37:14] | because if nothing else, you’re a man of your word. | 因为你是个守信用的人 |
[37:21] | – Make the deal. – I’ll represent you. | – 快同意 – 我会帮你 |
[37:25] | Now hand me the knife. | 给我刀 |
[37:45] | Oh, everyone. | 哦 所有人 |
[37:47] | This is the cake I want for my birthday. | 这是我生日想要的蛋糕 |
[37:58] | This is really good work. | 做的的确很好 |
[38:03] | I assume it’s clear to you now | 现在我想大家明白了 |
[38:06] | why we couldn’t make Jerry partner. | 为什么jerry不能成为合伙人 |
[38:09] | I have to be with my client. | 我得去找我的委托人了 |
[38:17] | Well, there’s, um, not much to tell, really. | 哦 那没什么好说的了 |
[38:21] | We were married for ten years and in love for, | 我们结婚10年 |
[38:24] | well, probably half that. | 相爱了或许…5年 |
[38:26] | Well, it’s probably hard loving a golf bum. | 爱上一个高尔夫迷一定很艰难 |
[38:30] | Do you want to hear something really awful? | 你想听些真正糟糕的事么? |
[38:33] | When we first got married, | 我们刚结婚时 |
[38:35] | I knew deep down that he would | 我就深刻的了解到 |
[38:37] | never amount to anything and, | 他一文不值 |
[38:40] | somehow I was okay with that. | 不知何故 我根本不计较这些 |
[38:44] | So what are your plans now? You, um, dating? | 那你现在有什么打算? 你 呃… 约会吗? |
[38:48] | Occasionally. | 偶尔约个会 |
[38:50] | Actually, not at all. | 事实上 根本没有 |
[38:54] | Little problem with commitment, huh? | 对承诺产生了怀疑 是吧? |
[38:57] | I know the feeling. | 我了解这种感觉 |
[38:59] | Um, I’m not looking for a | 呃 我也不想要找什么 |
[39:01] | long-term relationship either. | 长期固定的关系 |
[39:28] | What I don’t understand is how | 我不明白的是 |
[39:29] | he got his hands from the cake | 他是如何这么迅速的 |
[39:32] | to Shirley’s neck so quickly. | 把手从蛋糕那里移到Shirley的脖子上 |
[39:35] | You know, Denny, I can’t | 你知道 Denny 事实上 |
[39:36] | actually talk about this with you | 我现在不能和你谈论这些 |
[39:38] | now that Jerry’s my client. | 现在Jerry是我的委托人了 |
[39:40] | You aren’t really gonna represent him, are you? | 你不会真的打算代他出庭吧? |
[39:42] | I gave him my word. | 我向他保证过 |
[39:44] | Oh, please. We’re lawyers. | 哦 算了吧 我们是律师 |
[39:46] | He’s a whack job. | 他是个烂摊子 |
[39:53] | By the way, uh, did I tell you? | 顺便说一句 我没告诉你么? |
[39:55] | Bev and I are getting married. | Bev和我要结婚了 |
[39:59] | No. | 没有 |
[40:03] | I would have remembered that. | 如果说过的话我会记得的 |
[40:05] | Yeah. Well… | 没错 呃… |
[40:08] | she’s the one. | 她就是我的真命天女 |
[40:12] | Yes. She seems like the one. | 是啊 她看起来的确合适 |
[40:20] | Congratulations, Denny. | 恭喜你 Denny |
[40:26] | I want to assure you | 我要向你保证 |
[40:28] | that my impending nuptials | 迫近的婚礼 |
[40:30] | won’t change anying between us. | 不会改变我们之间的关系 |
[40:33] | No impact whatsoever. | 没有任何冲突 |
[40:39] | I gotta go. | 我得走了 |
[40:41] | We’re registering for flatware. | 我们要去注册一下各自的东西 |