时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Previously on Boston legal | |
[00:03] | We know who took the boy. | 我们知道谁带走了那个男孩 |
[00:04] | He kidnapped a 5-year-old two years ago. | 他两年前曾经绑架过一个5岁的小孩 |
[00:06] | Anything the FBI or the police do, we have limitations. | FBI和警方有时候不便插手 |
[00:09] | What a private citizen does, however… | 但是作为一个普通市民… |
[00:11] | You’re not going in there. | 你不能进去 |
[00:12] | I will give you to the count of three. If you do not unlock it… | 我数3声 如果你不打开门… |
[00:14] | I’m calling the police. | 我要报警了 |
[00:18] | – Brad! – You wouldn’t dare. | – 你不敢这样做的 – Brad! |
[00:19] | 3 Three. | |
[00:20] | Okay! | 好吧! |
[00:24] | Nobody’s arrested us yet. | 暂时还没人要抓我们 |
[00:25] | The FBI won’t. I know that. | 我知道FBI也不会 |
[00:27] | I think we saved our skin with happy ending. | 我想这是大团圆结局 |
[01:02] | I’ll take the blonde. | 这个金发的我要了 |
[01:07] | – Melissa, what are we doing in jail? – They’re saying I tried to rob a bank. | – Melissa 我们在这干嘛呢? – 他们说我试图抢劫银行 |
[01:11] | I didn’t. I just smashed a window. | 可是我没有 我只是打破了一块玻璃 |
[01:13] | And they say I’m a prostitute. | 他们还说我是妓女呢 |
[01:16] | – Which is ridiculous. – Back off, Ho. | – 真是可笑 – 离我远点 嗨 |
[01:19] | – What did you say? – Come on. | – 你说什么? – 来呀 |
[01:21] | Liz? | Liz? |
[01:23] | Alan? | Alan? |
[01:25] | Oh, my God! You just dropped off the side of the earth. | 噢 上帝 你就像是从地球上消失了似的 |
[01:28] | I was in a relationship. | 当时我和别人好上了 |
[01:29] | But now I’m not. | 但是现在我是单身 |
[01:30] | – You still at 1-800-LIZZIE? – Whoa, whoa, whoa. | – 你的号码还是1-800-LIZZIE? – 喂 喂 喂 |
[01:32] | Whoa. Hey! Remember me? | 喂 别把我丢在一边 |
[01:34] | I’m in trouble here. They arrested me. | 我有麻烦了 他们逮捕了我 |
[01:37] | You’re arresting me? | 你要逮捕我? |
[01:37] | Please, put your hands behind your back, sir. | 请把双手放在身后 先生 |
[01:39] | You gotta be kidding. | 你在开玩笑吧 |
[01:40] | You have the right to remain silent. | 你有权利保持沉默 |
[01:42] | – I know my rights. – What’s going on? | – 我知道我的权利 – 发生什么事? |
[01:43] | They’re arresting me for assaulting the priest. | 他们以袭击牧师的罪名逮捕我 |
[01:45] | And kidnapping and false imprisonment. | 还有绑架和非法拘留 |
[01:47] | – Now you have the right to an attorney… – Son. Son. | – 你有权利请律师… – 孩子 孩子 |
[01:49] | This is the United States of America. | 这里是美国 |
[01:51] | We don’t really believe in Miranda anymore. | 没人会把米兰达原则当回事的 (米兰达原则 疑犯应被告知其 有权保持沉默并有权请律师) |
[01:53] | Let’s go. | 我们走 |
[01:54] | Hey, hey, hey, hey! Ah, Denny Crane. I’ll handle this internally. | 嗨 嗨 Denny Crane 这事交给我来处理吧 |
[01:58] | Sir, this man’s being charged with three felonies. | 先生 他被控告犯有3项严重罪行 |
[02:00] | Understood, but… | 我知道 但是… |
[02:01] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[02:02] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[02:04] | Hey, hey, hey, hey. Come on! | 嗨 嗨 别这样! |
[02:06] | With all that’s going on in the world today, | 在现在这个社会 |
[02:07] | who among us hasn’t at least once wanted to take an axe to a priest? | 我们当中有谁不想拿斧头砍牧师呢? |
[02:12] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[02:16] | They’re arresting him? | 他们逮捕他? |
[02:17] | And I gave it my best shot. | 而且我还逗了他们一下 |
[02:51] | So they’re not pressing charges. | 他们不准备控告你 |
[02:54] | They’re not pressing charges? | 他们不控告我? |
[02:55] | If you make restitution for the window, they’ve agreed not pursuing… | 如果你赔偿玻璃的损失 他们同意不提起控诉… |
[02:58] | No. | 不干 |
[03:01] | I’m sorry. Did you say no? | 抱歉 你刚才说不? |
[03:03] | I’m not paying for their stupid window. Forget it. | 我才不会为那块该死的玻璃赔偿他们 别提了 |
[03:08] | – Melissa, you smashed it. – After what they’ve done to me! | – Melissa 你打破了人家的玻璃 – 是他们的错! |
[03:11] | Perhaps you should tell me exactly what they’ve done to you. | 也许你应该告诉我他们对你做了什么 |
[03:15] | My credit card bills. You’re aware I have some uh, fiscal issues? | 我的信用卡帐单 你知道我有些财政上的问题吧? |
[03:18] | It’s come up. | 看得出 |
[03:19] | So a few months ago, I owe one amount. | 所以几个月前 我透支了点钱 |
[03:22] | The next month it, it like triples. | 一个月后 利息翻了3番 |
[03:24] | So I stop buying stuff and the next month, bam, it’s even higher. | 所以我不再买东西了 然而一个月后利息却更高了 |
[03:26] | So I call the 800 number. Not Lizzie. | 所以我打他们的800电话 不是Lizzie那个 |
[03:29] | And who answers? But Ms. Jones, yes. | 你猜谁接? Jones小姐 |
[03:32] | From New Delhi. India. Not Brighton and not Melrose India. | 她在印度的新德里 不在布赖顿 不在梅尔罗斯而是印度 (布赖顿为英国地名 梅尔罗斯为麻省地名) |
[03:36] | I mean, surprised she’s not terribly helpful, right? | 我指的是 令人吃惊的是她完全帮不上忙 |
[03:38] | So far I’m on her side. | 到现在为止我还没看出你对在哪 |
[03:39] | And I talked to her supervisor who says that I owe this money, plus more. | 然后我和她的上司谈话 他说我欠他们钱 而且越来越多 |
[03:42] | This doesn’t make any sense! I need to talk to someone in America. | 这完全没有意义 我要和美国方面的人谈 |
[03:45] | Hello? | 听清楚了吗? |
[03:46] | So all I can get is an address for Prominence’s main office in Wilmington, Delaware. | 我能够找到的就是位于特拉华州 威明顿市的一个大楼地址 |
[03:50] | Like I can afford to go there. So I call them, I get a local office, I go there… | 去那里我还可以接受 所以我打个电话 拿到详细地址 然后我就去了… |
[03:54] | – and it’s basically just a store front. – With a big window. | – 但是那里只是一个店面 – 有着一块大玻璃 |
[03:59] | – I’m not paying for it. – You are paying for it. | – 我不会赔他们玻璃的 – 你要赔他们的玻璃 |
[04:02] | And I wanna see those credit card bills. | 而且我要看你的信用卡帐单 |
[04:05] | What? Suddenly you’re my father now? | 什么? 你突然间变成我爸爸了? |
[04:10] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[04:17] | 321113, commonwealth versus Bradley Chase. | 321113 联邦政府对Bradley Chase |
[04:22] | – Assault with a deadly weapon… – Waive reading, judge, | – 用一把致命武器进行袭击… – 先别急 法官 |
[04:24] | and ask that these ridiculous charges be dismissed on the grounds of ridiculousness. | 我要求撤销这可笑的控诉 根据是这很可笑 |
[04:29] | These charges are anything but ridiculous, your honor. | 这些指控一点都不可笑 法官大人 |
[04:32] | The defendant abducted one innocent man, threatened him with torture. | 被告绑架了一个无辜的人 并对他严刑逼供 |
[04:35] | Then assaulted clergy with a deadly weapon!’ | 然后用一件致命的武器袭击了一个牧师! |
[04:37] | – Pick, pick, pick, pick, pick. – You think this is funny? | – 捡啊捡 捡啊捡 再捡 (Brad砍掉了3根手指) – 你觉得很有趣? |
[04:39] | Your honor, my client saved the innocent life | 法官阁下 我的委托人拯救了一位被绑架的孩子 |
[04:42] | of a little kidnapped child who was innocent and utterly… | 一个无辜的孩子… |
[04:48] | kidnapped. | 被绑架了 |
[04:49] | I watch the news like everyone else, Mr. Crane. | 我也看了新闻Crane先生 |
[04:51] | And your client’s conduct was shocking. | 你的委托人的所作所为令人震惊 |
[04:54] | Your honor, I’d like to move for an immediate trial. | 法官阁下 我申请即时进行审判 |
[04:56] | – Hold on! – The facts are not in dispute. | – 等等! – 事实不容置辩 |
[04:58] | The district attorney clearly wants his fifteen minutes. | 地区检察官只是想要一显身手而已 |
[05:00] | Why should we make him wait? | 我们不要让他久等了 |
[05:01] | If you think this is about me grabbing a spotlight… | 如果你认为我只是要出出风头… |
[05:03] | It’s always about that with you, Frank. | 你一向如此Frank |
[05:04] | You’ve been running for office since you got out of law school. | 自从你在法律学院毕业以来 你就一直想向上爬 |
[05:07] | Hold on! | 等等! |
[05:07] | You two will refrain from personal exchanges. | 你们不能在这里私下交谈 |
[05:10] | But it is personal, your honor. | 但这是私事 法官阁下 |
[05:10] | We have a history and the opportunity for him to saddle me up as a cause. | 我们之间曾有过过节 这是他报复我的好机会 |
[05:14] | You attacked a man. | 你袭击了一个人 |
[05:15] | Cutting off his fingers. | 砍下了他的手指 |
[05:17] | As someone who took an oath to uphold the law, yes, | 作为一个遵纪守法的人 是的 |
[05:20] | I take that personally. | 我认为这是我该做的事 |
[05:22] | It’s a sound bite, Frank. Might wanna save it for the cameras. | 说得漂亮 留着说给媒体听吧 |
[05:24] | Which they’ll be asking you to allow in court. | 我想他们会要求旁听这个案子的 |
[05:27] | – I consent. – Hey! | – 这是好事 – 嗨! |
[05:28] | I will make the rules in this courtroom. | 这里我说了算 |
[05:32] | Are you ready to proceed to trial? | 你准备好了进行审判吗? |
[05:34] | Assuming he’s not alleging any diminished capacity. | 如果他拒不认罪的话 |
[05:36] | I will plead not guilty on the grounds of necessity. | 我将提出无罪的申辩 因为事急从权 |
[05:39] | Necessity? | 事急从权? |
[05:40] | Yes. You probably skipped over it in law school. | 是的 你也许已经忘掉了在学校学到的东西 |
[05:42] | Necessity. | 事急从权 |
[05:43] | Look it up, hack. | 回去好好学学 |
[05:45] | The commonwealth is ready to proceed. | 联邦政府已经准备好提起诉讼 |
[05:46] | I must caution you both. | 我必须要警告你们 |
[05:48] | These are serious criminal charges here. | 这可是严重的刑事指控 |
[05:51] | I’m not sure you should want to rush to judgment. | 也许你们不应该这么快下结论 |
[05:54] | Judge, you’re old. I’m old. | 法官 你老了 我也老了 |
[05:58] | Lock and load. Before we’re dead. | 箭在弦上 再等我们就挂了 |
[06:11] | Why in God’s name did you press for an immediate trial? | 为什么你这么急着要接受审判? |
[06:14] | Because I want to trade on the currency of being a hero. | 因为机不可失 现在对我有利 |
[06:17] | I’ve been featured all over the news and the jury pool is watching. | 而且电视正在大肆宣传 陪审团都在看 |
[06:20] | – Even so, a conviction here means prison. – I won’t be convicted. | – 就算如此 如果罪名成立的话你会入狱的 – 我不会被判有罪的 |
[06:22] | How can you be sure of that? Especially since you’re guilty. | 为什么你那么肯定? 特别是你的确是有罪 |
[06:25] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[06:26] | Look, I know this assistant DA. | 要知道 我了解这个检察官 |
[06:28] | He wants to be the DA. He’s using this as a publicity… | 他想出位 他正在利用这个机会… |
[06:30] | He’s also good. I’ve seen him try cases. | 他也很厉害 我看过他上庭 |
[06:32] | – Denny Crane – That is not a legal defense. | – 那可不是合法防卫 – Denny Crane. |
[06:38] | Are we happy? | 我们现在处境很好吗? |
[06:40] | Did I not warn both of you? | 我没有事先警告过你们吗? |
[06:42] | You know what Shirley? Don’t start. | Shirley 你知道吗? 别说了 |
[06:44] | I changed that little boy’s diaper. I will do anything to get him back. | 我曾经为那个孩子换过尿布 为了把他救回来我会做任何事 |
[06:47] | Clearly. | 任何事 |
[06:48] | Including going to jail. | 包括去坐牢 |
[06:49] | Which it come to for Brad. | 正如Brad现在的状况 |
[06:51] | All right, we’re all on the same side here. | 好了 我们是站在同一边的 |
[06:53] | Really? I’m not so sure. | 真的吗? 我不敢肯定这一点 |
[06:55] | Denise, If I were against you, I’d leave no doubt. | Denise 如果我不支持你 我就不会在这里 |
[07:03] | You’re really planning to have Denny handle your defense? | 你真的准备让Denny 为你辩护? |
[07:07] | Well… | 那个… |
[07:10] | Denny, given the exposure of this case, not only to Brad but the firm, | Denny 基于这个案子的曝光程度 不仅涉及到Brad还有我们事务所 |
[07:15] | how about you and I team up on this? | 我和你一起辩护如何? |
[07:17] | I’d love it. | 当然好 |
[07:19] | – I’ll pitch. – I’ll call balls and strikes. | – 看我的 – 我去召集人手准备 |
[07:21] | We’ll all need to sign waivers and Denise I’m gonna need to call you as a witness, | 我们都需要签弃权书 还有Denise我可能会传召你作为证人 |
[07:24] | but before you say yes, you need consider the liability. | 但是在你同意之前 你要慎重考虑一下 |
[07:27] | Yes. | 好的 |
[07:28] | Not so fast. | 别答应的那么快 |
[07:29] | They could charge you with conspiracy, or aiding and abetting… | 他们可能会同时以同谋 帮凶和教唆罪起诉你… |
[07:31] | I said yes. I’ll testify. | 我说好 我会作证的 |
[07:43] | Melissa, you’re fifty thousand dollars in debt. | Melissa 你欠下了5万元的债务 |
[07:46] | – I know. – How did this happen? | – 我知道 – 怎么会那么多? |
[07:48] | I don’t know. I swear. It’s these people. | 我不知道 我发誓 是他们做得好事 |
[07:51] | They’ve ruined me. | 他们陷害我 |
[07:52] | Going to trial. | 要开庭了 |
[07:53] | I’m swelling up just thinking about it. | 一想到这我就兴奋 |
[07:55] | Trials make me swell with adrenalin. Do I look swollen? | 开庭让我的肾上腺素增多 我看上去兴奋吗? |
[07:59] | Somewhat. | 有点 |
[08:01] | Denny, we’re a little busy here. | Denny 我们正忙着呢 |
[08:02] | What are you doing? | 你在干吗? |
[08:04] | Taxes? Don’t you have an accountant? | 税单? 你没有请会计师吗? |
[08:05] | I’m helping Melissa who seems to have fallen into a black hole of debt. | 我正在帮Melissa 她看来卷入了财政危机当中 |
[08:10] | Very black. | 很严重 |
[08:11] | What is this sudden concern of yours for people without money? | 为什么你突然那么关心没钱的人? |
[08:14] | – I need to know. – You need to look at the big picture. | – 我需要知道 – 你要想深入点 |
[08:18] | If people don’t have it, they might wanna steal ours. | 如果人们没有钱 他们可能会来偷我们的 |
[08:21] | Right. | 没错 |
[08:22] | Do we have anybody in corporate who understands this credit card world? | 我们这有谁比较熟悉信用卡系统运作的吗? |
[08:26] | – Somebody… – Hands. | – 有没人… – 怪手 |
[08:28] | – Sorry? – Hands Espenson. | – 什么? – 怪手Espenson. |
[08:30] | Banking and finance genius. Only don’t call him Hands. | 通晓银行业和金融业的天才 只是不要叫他怪手就行 |
[08:33] | Why would I? Why do you? | 为什么我要叫他怪手? 为什么你叫他怪手? |
[08:36] | The contract was deliberately written to confuse you. | 这种合约是故意写来误导你的 |
[08:38] | Bait and switch. Bingo! | 引你上钩然后再做手脚 中了! |
[08:41] | Promise one thing, say, zero percent interest. | 先向你承诺 说不收利息 |
[08:44] | Then they up it to thirty percent. Bingo! | 然后上调30个半分点 中了! |
[08:46] | – But, isn’t that illegal? – Used to be. | – 但是这样不是违法的吗? – 原来是 |
[08:48] | Used to have usury laws but the States wanted the credit card business, | 原来有专门的法律制约 但是国家想要发展信用卡业务 |
[08:53] | so poof! Gone! Bingo! | 所以呼的一下取消了! 中了! |
[08:56] | Ever inquire about a car loan? | 你是否咨询过汽车贷款? |
[08:58] | – Actually, yes, once. – Bingo! | – 事实上 是的 有一次 – 中了! |
[09:00] | – But I didn’t buy the car. – It doesn’t matter. | – 但是我没有买车 – 那不重要 |
[09:02] | It’s called universal default. | 这是业内默认的规矩 |
[09:04] | Credit bureaus share your information. All of it. | 信用卡公司能够获得你的所有个人资料 |
[09:08] | Your credit card company just heard about your asking for a car loan. Bingo! | 你的信用卡公司听说你想申请汽车贷款 中了! |
[09:13] | They raise your rates. Why? Because they can. | 他们马上调高你的利息 为什么? 他们就是可以这么做 |
[09:16] | Why doesn’t he move his hands? | 为什么他不把他的手移开? |
[09:17] | The OCC is supposed to police, they don’t. | 货币监理署本应向警方报告的 但是他们没有 |
[09:20] | Bought off by the credit card lobbyists. | 他们被信用卡公司收买了 |
[09:26] | Is he coming back? | 他会回来吗? |
[09:33] | I have no idea. | 我也不知道 |
[09:44] | What’s your history with this DA? | 你和那个检察官有什么过节吗? |
[09:46] | We went to law school together. I beat his ass in moot court. | 我们上同一所法律学校 我在模拟法庭里打败了他 |
[09:48] | I licked him several times in criminal cases since. | 从那以后好几次刑事案件中 我对着他时占了上风 |
[09:50] | Let’s just say that we’re rivals. | 简单地说 我们是对头 |
[09:52] | Denise, I’ll take your testimony. Denny, can you take Brad’s? | Denise我负责你的证词 Denny你能负责Brad的吗? |
[09:54] | You licked a man’s ass? | 你在一个男人的上面? |
[09:57] | Denny, if you can’t focus here, I’m not going to let you play. | Denny 要是你再不专心 我就不让你参加了 |
[10:01] | This trial is a threat to Brad’s freedom. | 这个案子关系到Brad的自由 |
[10:03] | It is potentially an enormous blight on this firm. | 同时它有可能对我们事务所造成不好的影响 |
[10:06] | – We need to win this trial. – I’m sorry. | – 我们一定要赢这场官司 – 抱歉 |
[10:09] | But, tell me again why it is that we’re rushing this so? | 再说一次为什么我们要急着打这个官司 |
[10:12] | It’s a rush job because Ginsberg plans to run for district attorney in the primaries in March. | 急是因为Ginsberg打算参加 3月份的首席检察官的选举 |
[10:17] | – He’s using this as a showcase to… – That explains his urgency. | – 他会把这个案子当作铺路石… – 因此他那么着急 |
[10:20] | What about ours? | 那我们为什么那么急? |
[10:21] | At the moment, Brad’s a celebrity. His hero status can only run to our favor. | 现在Brad很出名 他的英雄事迹对我们有利 |
[10:25] | But it is a risk. | 但是这很冒险 |
[10:26] | It’s not too late to take a deep breath and say let’s do this later. | 现在把案子往后推迟一些还不算晚 |
[10:30] | Let’s do it now. | 我们现在就把它解决 |
[10:32] | You’re sure? | 你确定? |
[10:33] | I have an erection. | 我勃起了 |
[10:36] | It’s a good sign. | 这是个好迹象 |
[10:38] | Let the trial begin. | 让审判开始吧 |
[10:41] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 |
[11:01] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[11:03] | – Denny Crane – Excuse us. – Denny Crane. | – 请让开 |
[11:04] | – Excuse us, please. – My poop doesn’t smell. | – 请让开 谢谢 – 我的屁不臭 |
[11:05] | We have no comment. | 我们无可奉告 |
[11:06] | Comes out in pretty colors. | 而且是彩色的 |
[11:08] | Denny Crane Pastels. Denny Crane. | 像蜡笔画的一样 |
[11:10] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[11:11] | And suddenly he’s swinging the axe. | 突然间他挥舞着斧头 |
[11:14] | I, I put my hand out and he chopped it. | 我 我伸出手然后他砍了下来 |
[11:17] | He cut three of my fingers right off, they, they just fell to the floor. | 他砍断了我3根手指 它们掉到地上 |
[11:21] | – And then what happened, sir? – Well, I was rushed to the hospital. | – 然后发生什么事 先生? – 然后我冲去医院 |
[11:26] | Two of my fingers were recovered and reattached, | 其中两根手指被重新接上 |
[11:28] | and then his colleague, that woman, came in brandishing my third finger. | 然后他的同伴 那个女的 带着我的第三根手指走了进来 |
[11:34] | She wouldn’t give it back unless I revealed privileged information about one of my parishioners. | 直到我违反了保密协定向她透露我的 教民的信息后 她才肯把它还给我 |
[11:40] | He cut it off, and she extorted me with it. | 他砍了我的手指 而她用它来勒索我 |
[11:44] | My first question would be, | 我的第一个问题是 |
[11:47] | if someone is swinging an axe, why stick your hand out? | 如果有人在挥舞一把斧头 为什么你要把手伸出来? |
[11:50] | I didn’t think he’d actually try it. | 我当时以为他不敢真的砍下来 |
[11:52] | And to be clear, when you speak of your parishioner, | 让我们搞清楚 当你提起你的教民时 |
[11:55] | you refer to the man charged with kidnapping the child. | 你是指那个被检控绑架小孩的人 |
[11:58] | Well, yes. | 呃 是的 |
[11:59] | And also to be clear, you knew your parishioner was a pedophile. | 再说清楚点 你知道你的教民是个恋童癖 |
[12:03] | I am not going to reveal privileged information to you, | 我不会向你透露任何个人隐私的 |
[12:07] | just like I wouldn’t to him. | 就像我不会告诉他一样 |
[12:08] | But you did reveal information to Ms. Bauer. | 但是你的确把它透露给Bauer小姐了 |
[12:11] | You told her where your parishioner’s hide-away was. | 你告诉她你教民的藏身地点 |
[12:14] | You’ll reveal privileged information to get your fingers back, | 为了拿回你的手指 你愿意出卖隐私 |
[12:16] | but not to save the life of a child. | 但是当你可以拯救一个孩子的生命的时候 你不愿意那么做 |
[12:18] | – Objection. – Sustained. | – 反对 – 反对有效 |
[12:20] | As a policy, if a pedophile killer confesses his crime, you’ll protect that secret? | 作为一项政策 当一个恋童癖杀手向你坦白 他的罪行时你也要保守这个秘密? |
[12:24] | I cannot break the confessional seal. | 我不能违反保密协议 |
[12:28] | It’s Canon law. | 那是教规 |
[12:29] | – Is that stupid? – Objection. | – 那不是很愚蠢吗? – 反对 |
[12:31] | I’m sorry, but the laws in this country to protect again child-abuse supersede | 很抱歉 但是我国有防止虐待儿童法 |
[12:36] | doctor-patient privilege, lawyer-client privilege, | 有医生病人保密法 律师委托人保密法 |
[12:39] | but not priest-parishioner privilege? | 但是好像没有牧师教民保密法吧? |
[12:42] | Has the Catholic church earned some special exemption when it comes to pedophiles? | 是否基督教堂在遇到恋童癖者 的时候就可以网开一面? |
[12:46] | – Objection! – Do we trust them more in this area? | – 反对! – 是否在教堂里他们更值得信赖? |
[12:48] | That’s a cheap shot. | 你的伎俩真低级 |
[12:50] | I’ve been known to take them. | 从你那学回来的 |
[12:52] | Tell us about the Papal Blessings. | 告诉我们有关教宗降福纸的事 |
[12:56] | Well… | 那个… |
[12:57] | On that matter, I, I was, uh… | 在这个问题上 我 呃… |
[13:01] | I was wayward. | 我是太过任意妄为了 |
[13:03] | I apologize. | 我道歉 |
[13:04] | The Vatican issues Papal Blessings at about thirty dollars a pop. | 梵蒂冈出版的教宗降福纸大概是30美元一份 |
[13:08] | You decided to print them yourself and sell them directly, | 你决定自行印制和直接销售 |
[13:11] | bypassing the middleman, who in this case, happens to be the Pope. | 绕过授权人 在这个案子里 应该是指教皇 |
[13:16] | Yes. As, as I said, I was wayward there. | 是的 就像 像是我所说的 我有点任意妄为了 |
[13:19] | I’m just having a hard time reconciling. | 我真的很难把这两者同时和你联系起来 |
[13:23] | You’ll steal from the Pope, | 你从教皇那里偷东西 |
[13:25] | but cloak yourself in Canon law when it comes to protecting a pedophile. | 但是在保护一个恋童癖者 的时候你却极力遵守教规 |
[13:29] | – Do you support pedophilia? – Objection! | – 你是否支持恋童行为? – 反对! |
[13:31] | Do I dare ask where those three fingers had been prior | 恕我直言 在我的委托人动手前 |
[13:33] | – to my client’s chopping them off? – Objection! | – 你的手指在干什么(数钱)? – 反对! |
[13:36] | Ms. Schmidt, you are way out of line. | Schmidt 女士 你离题了 |
[13:39] | I’m sorry, judge. | 我很抱歉 法官阁下 |
[13:40] | I have known many many wonderful priests in my lifetime. | 我认识很多很多出色的牧师 |
[13:44] | I am not adding Father Ryan to that list. | 而Ryan神父你并不属于其中之一 |
[13:49] | Nothing further. | 我问完了 |
[14:04] | Wait a second. So the deadbeats are the ones who pay off their debt? | 等等 那么说老赖就是指那些欠债的人? |
[14:07] | Bingo! | 中了! |
[14:08] | Within the credit card industry, they’re called deadbeats | 在信用卡产业中 他们被称为老赖 |
[14:10] | because they don’t make any money off of them. | 因为信用卡公司不想从他们身上取回欠款 |
[14:12] | The ones who don’t pay off, | 他们也还不起 |
[14:13] | they’re the preferred customers because they’re the ones they make money off of. | 信用卡公司喜欢这种顾客正是 因为公司能够从欠债中获利 |
[14:17] | They target people they know won’t be able to pay. | 所以他们的目标客户正是这些还不起债的人 |
[14:20] | People like Melissa. | 就像Melissa这种人 |
[14:22] | Bingo! | 宾果(中了)! |
[14:24] | You making fun of me? | 你在取笑我? |
[14:26] | No, sir. | 不是的 先生 |
[14:27] | You said what I say. That’s making fun. | 你重复我说的话 这就是在取笑我 |
[14:29] | No! It’s just… | 不是的! 只是因为… |
[14:33] | B I… I used to have a dog you see, and Bingo was his name. Oh, B, I… | 我曾经有一条狗 而它的名字就叫宾果 |
[14:39] | Never mind. | 算了 |
[14:40] | How we doing? | 怎么样了? |
[14:41] | We’re s uing them. | 我们准备起诉他们 |
[14:43] | Who? | 起诉谁? |
[14:44] | The company who gave you the credit card. | 发信用卡给你的那间公司 |
[14:45] | – Prominence Bank. – We, we’re suing them? | – Prominence银行 – 我们 我们要起诉他们? |
[14:47] | We can’t sue, can’t sue. Too big, too big. | 我们不能这么做 他们太大了 太大了 |
[14:49] | The bigger they are, Jerry. | 他们越是大公司Jerry |
[14:53] | We’re suing them. | 我们越是要起诉他们 |
[14:57] | What do you mean I’m not testifying? | 我不能够作证是什么意思? |
[14:59] | The problem is, if Brad testifies and you testify, | 问题在于 如果你和Brad都作证 |
[15:02] | that gives the prosecution two more opportunities | 那会为他们额外提供两个机会 |
[15:05] | to play out this horrific chain of events. | 来击败我们 |
[15:08] | There’s nothing you can say that Brad can’t say. | 你能说的Brad也能说 |
[15:11] | – I can support what he says. – True. | – 我可以证实他的证词 – 没错 |
[15:13] | But since you’re the one that twiddled the severed finger using it for blackmail purposes, | 但是由于你是那个用手指进行勒索的人 |
[15:18] | there’s the outside chance you’ll come off as less than adorable. | 这会增加你的反面印象 |
[15:20] | Shirley… | Shirley… |
[15:21] | Denise, the D.A. will have a field day. | Denise 检察官会以此大做文章的 |
[15:24] | – You ready? – I am. | – 你准备好了吗? – 好了 |
[15:26] | More importantly, are you ready? | 更重要的是 你准备好了吗? |
[15:29] | Lock and… | 箭在… |
[15:33] | Denny, maybe I should take this. | Denny 还是由我来吧 |
[15:35] | Shirley, if the jury doesn’t get to see me in action, | Shirley 如果陪审团见不到我表演 |
[15:37] | they’ll feel cheated. They’ll think we cheated them. | 他们会感觉受骗了 他们会认为我们在欺骗他们 |
[15:40] | Walk them through what happened, | 向他们陈述发生的事 |
[15:41] | giving Brad a chance to explain why he did what he did and… | 给Brad一个机会解释他为什么要这么做… |
[15:44] | I know how to question a witness, Shirley. | 我知道怎么询问一个证人Shirley |
[15:47] | Denny, our whole case is his testimony. | Denny 他的证词是整个案子的关键所在 |
[15:50] | Who’s? | 谁的? |
[15:53] | Kidding. I’m ready. | 说笑的 我准备好了 |
[15:57] | Just for fun, show me how you plan to start off. | 告诉我你准备怎么开场 我很好奇 |
[16:02] | Brad, what occasioned you to even get involved, | Brad 在什么情况下你会 |
[16:06] | pretending to be an FBI officer? | 假扮成一个FBI官员? |
[16:08] | His response will occasion the jury to feel | 他的回答必须让陪审团感到 |
[16:10] | and experience the horror of a child being kidnapped. | 一个孩子被绑架了是很可怕的事 |
[16:13] | Like it was their child. | 就像发生在他们的孩子身上一样 |
[16:15] | – Good. – There. | – 很好 – 当然 |
[16:17] | You must show contrition. You must be apologetic. | 你必须表现出悔意 你必须表现出歉意 |
[16:20] | You did what you did to get the child back, | 你的所作所为只是为了救回孩子 |
[16:22] | but you feel compassion and sympathy for everybody you victimized. | 但是你对在过程中被你伤害的 人们感到非常的同情和遗憾 |
[16:26] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[16:27] | Do not make yourself the story. | 别顾着出风头 |
[16:29] | The jury needs to be focused on him. | 陪审团的注意力要放在他身上 |
[16:32] | Did you just say don’t make me the story? | 你刚才说我不能成为焦点? |
[16:42] | He’s coming here? Tomorrow? | 他要过来? 明天? |
[16:44] | – Claiming he wants to work things out. – Can’t meet, can’t meet. | – 宣称他要解决问题 – 不能见 不能见 |
[16:46] | – What do you mean you can’t meet? – I don’t do meetings. | – 不能见指什么? – 我不能见人 |
[16:49] | I’m background. | 我是做幕后工作的 |
[16:50] | You’ve got all the expertise, Jerry, and I need you to be around. | 你是专家Jerry 而且我需要你在场 |
[16:53] | – I’ll give you a memo. – Just a whisper in my ear. | – 我会给你准备好备忘录的 – 只是在我身边小声说就行了 |
[16:56] | You won’t even have to talk out loud. And I’ll do all the gesturing. | 你甚至不需要大声说话 就算你的手势我也帮你做了 |
[17:01] | I’m sorry. That was an extremely poor joke and I apologize. | 对不起 这是个不恰当的笑话 我道歉 |
[17:07] | Is he like the president of the company? Or… | 他是不是公司的总裁? 或者… |
[17:09] | He’s their general counsel, actually. Happens to be in Boston. | 他是他们的首席法律顾问 事实上 他刚好在波士顿 |
[17:13] | Jerry, I’m sorry. | Jerry 对不起 |
[17:16] | I need you. | 我需要你 |
[17:20] | I’ll be present. | 我会在场的 |
[17:21] | I’ll give feedback on my computer. You can read it off the screen. | 我会把意见写在电脑上 你可以在屏幕上看到 |
[17:25] | Deal! | 成交! |
[17:47] | I am so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[17:50] | I’m the one who led you into all this. | 事情都是因我而起 |
[17:52] | You have nothing to apologize for, Denise. I made my own decision. | 你不需要道歉Denise 是我决定这么做的 |
[17:56] | But a week ago you were up for partner, and now you’re up on trial. | 但是一个星期前你被提名当合伙人 而现在你却成了被告 |
[18:00] | Denise, the little boy is alive. | Denise 那个小男孩还活着 |
[18:03] | Unfortunately that’s not the issue. | 很遗憾这个论点没有用 |
[18:06] | Well, it is for me. | 对我而言有用 |
[18:11] | Are you always like this? | 你总是这样吗? |
[18:13] | Like what? | 怎样? |
[18:15] | Brad, you could be looking at jail. | Brad 你可能会进监狱 |
[18:18] | It’s okay to show a little fear. | 有点担忧是很正常的 |
[18:22] | Okay. | 说得对 |
[18:24] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[18:27] | Okay. Thanks. That’s it? | 好的 谢谢 就这样? |
[18:30] | Denise, what do you want me to do? | Denise 你想我怎么做? |
[18:32] | Cry? We got the kid back. | 哭? 我们把孩子救回来了 |
[18:34] | If I had to do it all over again, I would do it again. | 如果让我再选择一次 我还会那么做的 |
[18:37] | I’ll live with the consequences. | 我会坚持下去的 |
[18:41] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:46] | So I’ll see you in court. | 那么法庭上见 |
[18:48] | Yep. | 好的 |
[19:20] | How’s my hair? Does my hair work? | 我的头发怎么样? 看起来好吗? |
[19:23] | It does appear to grow each month. | 好像从来没见它们长过 |
[19:25] | It’s my first settlement conference. | 这是我第一次参加协商会 |
[19:27] | There is a lot of power in a woman’s hair. | 女性的头发能起到很关键的作用 |
[19:29] | Yes, there is. | 是的 |
[19:32] | I think we’ll let my slightly less powerful hair run the meeting. | 我想应该让我这稀少而且 没那么关键的头发来发挥作用 |
[19:38] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[19:39] | Melvin Palmer. How are you? | 我是Melvin Palmer 你好吗? |
[19:40] | I’m grand, actually but I go by Alan Shore. | 我很好 但是比不上Alan Shore |
[19:44] | A pleasure. | 幸会 |
[19:45] | This is Melissa Hughes. | 这位是Melissa Hughes |
[19:46] | I would be your plaintiff. | 我是原告 |
[19:48] | And real honor to meet you, Melissa. | 十分荣幸见到你Melissa |
[19:52] | Melvin Palmer | Melvin Palmer. |
[19:53] | Jerry Espenson. He doesn’t shake. | Jerry Espenson 他不握手的 |
[19:56] | Excellent! Well then, shall we get started? | 很好! 那么 我们开始吧? |
[20:01] | You’re not gonna be cheerful about all this, are you? | 你不会认为这很好玩吧? |
[20:03] | You know, I have been told to keep my exuberance down | 你知道吗 我总是被要求严肃一点 |
[20:05] | until people have had their morning coffee. | 让人们可以喝完他们的咖啡 |
[20:09] | Let me tell you a little about me. | 让我告诉你一些关于我的事 |
[20:12] | Oh, dear. | 噢 |
[20:13] | I am a problem solver. It’s what I love to do. | 我是负责解决问题的 这也是我的兴趣 |
[20:16] | Now I consider it a personal failure when one of my cases ends up in court. | 如果问题闹上法庭 那我会视之为我的失败 |
[20:20] | I also feel I haven’t succeeded when people walk away from one of my tables unhappy. | 如果人们不能从我的谈判桌上满意地离开 我同样视之为我的失败 |
[20:24] | It’s actually our table. | 事实上 这是我们的桌子 |
[20:25] | What I do in matters like this? I set aside my whole day, okay? | 一般情况下我怎么做呢? 我会花上一整天时间 |
[20:29] | Because the goal is finding a solution. | 因为我的目标是找到一个解决方法 |
[20:32] | One that works for you, and one that works for us. | 既能够满足你们的要求 又能够让我们所接受 |
[20:34] | That’s just the way I work. | 这就是我做事的方式 |
[20:36] | So this doesn’t have to be an acrimonious experience. | 所以不必要把事情搞得那么严肃 |
[20:39] | Wonderful. | 很好 |
[20:40] | Why don’t we begin then by you giving her back all her money? | 那不如你直接把她的钱还给她吧 |
[20:45] | Well, well… | 很好 很好… |
[20:47] | I don’t know if we can do that. | 我不知道我是否能这么做 |
[20:48] | But I do think we can make this pretty young woman happy. | 但是我想我有办法让这位年轻漂亮的女士高兴 |
[20:52] | Okay, then. | 好吧 那么 |
[20:54] | We have this saying in Texas, | 我们在得克萨斯州有句话 |
[20:56] | Time to let the horses out of the barn. | 是驴是马带出来溜溜 |
[21:06] | You swear to tell the truth, the whole truth | 你发誓你所说的话句句属实 |
[21:07] | and nothing but the truth, so help you God? | 因此上帝拯救你? |
[21:09] | I do. | 是的 |
[21:14] | Denny! | Denny! |
[21:19] | First off, if it had been my child who had been kidnapped, | 首先我要说 如果被绑架的是我的孩子 |
[21:23] | there are no words that could express my gratitude. I’m sure we all agree. | 那我不知道如何表达我的感激之心 我想我们都同意这点 |
[21:26] | Objection. | 反对 |
[21:27] | Mr. Crane, do not address the jury. | Crane先生 不要向陪审团说话 |
[21:30] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 噢 抱歉 |
[21:31] | Brad, first question. | Brad 第一个问题 |
[21:34] | I got involved because my colleague Denise Bauer came to me distraught | 我参与此事是因为我的同事 Denise Bauer很烦恼地对我说 |
[21:37] | that her housekeeper’s child had been kidnapped | 她的管家的孩子被绑架了 |
[21:39] | and frustrated the police and FBI were making no progress. | 而警方和FBI没有取得任何进展 |
[21:42] | Second question. | 第二个问题 |
[21:43] | I went to a friend of mine Kevin Drummond at the FBI and asked him for help. | 我向我在FBI的朋友Kevin Drummond 求助 |
[21:47] | Third question. | 第三个问题 |
[21:47] | He told me that while the FBI was limited by State action | 他告诉我FBI对此无能为力 |
[21:50] | that private citizens had sometimes successfully taken things into their own hands. | 但是作为市民有时候可以自己解决问题 |
[21:54] | Fourth question. | 第四个问题 |
[21:55] | Objection. He’s not asking any questions. | 反对 他根本没有提出问题 |
[21:56] | I told him last night the questions I was gonna ask him. | 我昨晚已经问过他了 |
[21:59] | Judge, I’m just trying to speed things up for the jury | 法官 我只是不想让陪审团浪费更多的时间 |
[22:01] | who I know are already annoyed at even being here for this ridiculous prosecution. | 在这个可笑的指控上 他们坐在这里已经够无聊的了 |
[22:05] | Objection. | 反对 |
[22:05] | Mr. Crane… | Crane先生… |
[22:06] | Denny Crane Call me Denny, judge. Denny Crane. | 叫我Denny 法官 |
[22:09] | You will ask the question in their entirety, | 你必须完整地把你的问题说出来 |
[22:11] | so that we may understand what the witness is answering. | 这样我们才能够知道证人在回答什么 |
[22:14] | – Outrageous! – You kidnapped an innocent man? | – 真无礼! – 你绑架了一个无辜的人? |
[22:17] | Now the brother wasn’t so innocent. | 现在他不是无辜的了 |
[22:18] | He’d provided safe harbor for the suspect, and he had information. | 他为疑犯提供藏身之处 而且他有我们需要的信息 |
[22:23] | – So that’s when you used violence? – Threatened violence. | – 因此你对他使用暴力? – 是威胁 |
[22:25] | – Only threatened? – Only threatened. | – 只是威胁而已? – 只是威胁而已 |
[22:26] | – Didn’t use it? – Did not. | – 没有使用暴力? – 没有 |
[22:27] | What a fiend. | 高手 |
[22:28] | He’s making light of a kidnapping, false imprisonment… | 他正在为绑架和非法监禁作掩饰… |
[22:30] | Objection! | 反对! |
[22:31] | You’re a witness. | 你是证人 |
[22:32] | – Objection! Objection! | – 反对! 反对! – 反对! – Objection! |
[22:34] | Stop it! | 够了! |
[22:36] | None of us is making light of this, judge. | 我们并没有掩饰什么 法官阁下 |
[22:38] | We’re just trying to put some perspective on things. | 我们只是试图获得一些信息 |
[22:40] | – There is no question before the witness. – Sustained. | – 证人不能私自作答 – 反对有效 |
[22:41] | – What can you tell us about perspective? – Objection. | – 你获得了什么信息? – 反对 |
[22:43] | – That’s a question! – Sustained. | – 这是个问题! – 反对有效 |
[22:45] | – The brother told you about the priest? – Yes. | – 那个弟兄和你说了牧师的事? – 是的 |
[22:48] | And that’s when you went to the church and cut off his fingers? | 因此你去教堂砍了他的手指? |
[22:51] | I swung an axe at his imported door knowing it cost a lot of money. | 我在他的一扇门口挥舞斧头 因为我知道那扇门很值钱 |
[22:53] | – How much? – Nine thousand. | – 值多少? – 9千 |
[22:54] | – Dollars? – Dollars. | – 美元? – 美元 |
[22:55] | – For a door? – He somehow could afford it. | – 只是一扇门? – 他不知道为什么负担的起 |
[22:57] | – Objection. – Bitch, bitch. | – 反对 – 贱人 贱人 |
[22:58] | – Mr. Crane! – Call me Denny, judge. | – Crane先生! – 叫我Denny 法官 |
[22:59] | – No, I will not call you Denny! – So you swung at the door? | – 不 我不会叫你Denny的! – 所以你朝那扇门挥舞斧头? |
[23:02] | I only wanted to make him think that I was about to destroy the door | 我只是想让他认为我要打烂那扇门 |
[23:05] | and he stuck his hand out right at the last second. | 然后他在最后一秒把手放了上去 |
[23:07] | I never meant to make contact. It was an accident. | 我并不想砍的 是一场意外 |
[23:10] | You didn’t mean to hit his hand? | 你并不想砍他的手? |
[23:12] | No. And I regret that I did. | 不 而且我为此感到很后悔 |
[23:14] | To the extent that it led to the safe recovery of Tito Perez, I’m glad about that. | 虽然因此能够挽救Tito Perez的性命 这令我很高兴 |
[23:18] | But I never meant to cause any physical injury to Father Ryan. | 但是我绝不想对Ryan神父 造成任何物理上的伤害 |
[23:21] | And again, I apologize. | 因此再次 我道歉 |
[23:32] | Denny Crane. Fair and balanced. | Denny Crane 和谐社会 |
[23:34] | The nut job. Fair and balanced. | 苦差事 和谐社会 |
[23:36] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[23:45] | That was you not becoming the story? | 不是叫你不要出风头吗? |
[23:47] | – I was practically invisible. – What the hell was that about? | – 我刚才基本上是隐形的 – 你到底在打什么主意? |
[23:49] | The prosecutor wants to horrify the jury. | 检举人想要陪审团讨厌我们 |
[23:52] | We were diluting the horroscope. | 我们则减轻他所做的影响 |
[23:54] | To my money, you trivialized it. | 你能做的事就是把我的钱包重量减轻 |
[23:56] | You may have just alienated the jury. | 你可能使陪审员们反感 |
[23:58] | People like a happy ending. | 人们都喜欢大团圆结局 |
[23:59] | The child came home safe. We play the happy ending. | 孩子平安到家 我们导演了这个结局 |
[24:02] | – It’s not that simple, Denny. – Yes, it is, Shirley. | – 不是那么简单的Denny – 是的 就是那么简单Shirley |
[24:04] | We’re talking juries. | 我们在说陪审员 |
[24:06] | It always comes down to simple. | 他们总是那么天真纯洁 |
[24:08] | And, I mean, there’s nobody simpler than me. | 我是指 没人能比我更纯洁了 |
[24:21] | – Please tell me you’re making this up. – I am not. | – 请告诉我你能够解决此事 – 我不行 |
[24:24] | He said, question one, question two, question three and so forth. | 他说 第一个问题 第二个 第三个 类推 |
[24:27] | Almost as if he were deliberately mocking the whole proceeding. | 好像是他故意要嘲笑整个庭审过程 |
[24:30] | – And we could very well lose, Paul. – Is he out of his mind? | – 我们很可能会输 Paul – 他是不是疯了? |
[24:34] | Well, he’s always out of it. | 那个 他一向都是那么疯 |
[24:35] | Clearly it’s where he’s most comfortable. | 很明显他最喜欢在法庭上疯 |
[24:37] | What are you doing in my office? | 你们在我的办公室干嘛? |
[24:38] | This is my office, Denny. | 这是我的办公室 Denny |
[24:40] | Oh… | 噢… |
[24:41] | That must mean I’ve come to see you. | 那就是说我有事来找你们 |
[24:44] | Why? | 什么事呢? |
[24:46] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[24:47] | It could be to say we were right to mock the proceedings. | 我猜可能是想说我的做法是对的 |
[24:50] | A child was saved. That’s what you say in your closing. | 一个孩子得到拯救 你的结案陈词就那么说 |
[24:54] | – It isn’t. – Yes, it is. | – 不好 – 就这样说 |
[24:56] | That’s the button for your closing. | 这是你结案陈词的关键 |
[24:58] | It’s that simple. | 就是那么简单 |
[25:02] | It’s not polite to talk about crazy people behind their backs. | 在疯子背后乱说话是不礼貌的 |
[25:17] | I accept that I have debt and that I should pay it. | 我承认我欠下了债务而且我也会偿还它 |
[25:20] | But to suddenly up it from ten to fifty thousand? I… | 但是突然从1万元变成5万元? 我… |
[25:23] | Melissa… | Melissa… |
[25:24] | You know in the short time that we’ve spent together, | 你要知道虽然我们才刚见面 |
[25:27] | I can appreciate that you are an honorable person. | 我认为你是一个值得尊敬的人 |
[25:30] | And one that lives up to her obligation. Am I right about that? | 和一个勇于承担责任的人 我说的对吗? |
[25:33] | Yes. | 对的 |
[25:34] | Well, you did apply for the Prominence bank card | 那么 你的确是申请了我们的信用卡 |
[25:36] | and entered into a contract accepting its terms. | 也同意了我们的合同条款 |
[25:39] | – I’m right about that too, aren’t I? – Yes. | – 我说的对吗? – 对的 |
[25:41] | And you then went out | 然后你外出 |
[25:43] | and made voluntary purchases pursuant to the terms of that contract. | 在我们条款的适用范围内自发地进行了购物 |
[25:46] | These sound like trial questions. | 这问题听起来像是个圈套 |
[25:48] | Oh, I assure you they are not. | 噢 我向你保证不是 |
[25:49] | No. See. Here’s the thing about me. | 不是的 我再向你说说我的为人 |
[25:52] | I like to take the adversary out of adversary system, okay? | 请你不要把我当成你的敌人 好吗? |
[25:57] | I’m just trying to get the full picture here | 我只是想从大局出发 |
[25:58] | so that I can better understand where you’re coming from. | 这样我可以更好的了解你 |
[26:01] | And so you can better understand me. | 你也可以更好的了解我 |
[26:05] | You seem swell. | 你看上去的确很自大 |
[26:14] | Of course, we’re all happy that Tito Perez was rescued safely. | 当然 我们都很高兴见到Tito Perez没事 |
[26:18] | But the ends cannot justify the means. | 但是这并不能说明为达成目的可以不择手段 |
[26:21] | Not when the means involve kidnapping, | 也不意味着可以通过绑架途径来解决 |
[26:25] | FBI impersonation, false imprisonment, chopped off fingers, extortion and assault. | 假扮FBI成员 非法监禁 敲诈勒索 袭击伤人 |
[26:31] | And whether he intended to severe the fingers of Father Ryan or not… | 无论他是否有意砍掉Ryan神父的手指… |
[26:36] | he clearly and intentionally swung that axe with reckless disregard. | 他的确是在不计后果的情况下 对别人造成了伤害 |
[26:42] | We are a nation of laws. | 我们是个法制国家 |
[26:44] | We are also a country that stands for civil liberties and human rights. | 我们同时也是个有着自由和人权的国家 |
[26:49] | These are principals embedded in our constitution. | 这些都是我们宪法的基础 |
[26:53] | Our Bill of Rights. | 也是我们权利法案的根本 |
[26:55] | This man not only broke the law. | 这个人不仅违反了法律 |
[26:59] | He obliterated fundamental constitutional tenants in the process. | 在这个过程中他更是动摇了我们宪法的基石 |
[27:04] | Vigilante justice may be acceptable in other lands. | 这种所谓的替天行道也许 可以为其他地方所允许 |
[27:08] | It is not so here. | 但是在这里行不通 |
[27:11] | – This is… – Here it comes. | – 这里是… – 来了 |
[27:14] | the United States of America. | 美立坚合众国 |
[27:28] | Don’t even think about it. | 想都不要想 |
[27:37] | We keep hearing about the rights of the accused in this country. | 在我们国家总是可以听到被告拥有的各种权利 |
[27:41] | What about the victims? | 那受害人呢? |
[27:43] | What about his rights? We’re supposed to say, | 他的权利呢? 我们也许会说 |
[27:46] | “Sorry, Tito, we’ve love to save you, but there are these rules?” | “对不起Tito 我们很想救你 可是我们要遵守规定?” |
[27:51] | There’s a murder in this country every thirty-one minutes, | 这个国家每31分钟就有一起谋杀案 |
[27:54] | a forcible rape every six minutes, a robbery every one minute. | 每6分钟就有一起强奸 每1分钟有一起抢劫 |
[27:57] | But, “Hey! let’s all band together and protect the constitutional principals” | 但是 “嗨! 让我们团结起来保护宪法的根本” |
[28:02] | “that make this country great”. | “它让我们的国家更美好” |
[28:05] | Things clearly got ugly here. | 虽然所用手段不是那么光明 |
[28:08] | But a human life was at stake. | 但是当时有一条生命在受到威胁 |
[28:11] | With all due respect to the civil liberties of the suspect’s brother, | 为了尊重疑犯的兄弟的自由权利 |
[28:15] | with great deference to Canon law | 为了顺从教规 |
[28:18] | and Father Ryan’s Italian imported door and his fingers, | 还有保护Ryan神父那 意大利进口的门和他的手指 |
[28:23] | the life of a four year old boy was at stake. | 一个四岁的男孩的生命危如累卵 |
[28:28] | Brad Chase saved that little boy’s life. | Brad Chase救了那个小男孩的生命 |
[28:47] | It’s that simple. | 就这么简单 |
[29:14] | You’re not giving me anything here? | 你不准备给我任何答复? |
[29:16] | First of all, if I were to forgive your obligations, believe it or not, | 首先 如果我免去了你的债务 信不信由你 |
[29:19] | I’d be hurting you. | 我是在害你 |
[29:21] | Hurting me? | 害我? |
[29:22] | Okay, this is me. | 这就是我的做事方式 |
[29:23] | The way I raise my own kids. It’s not what you give them. | 这就是我教育孩子的方式 不仅仅是给予 |
[29:27] | It’s how you teach them to get things for themselves. | 更应该教会他们自己自食其力 |
[29:39] | Just making sure you’re real. | 只是确定你是真的存在 |
[29:42] | You know, I don’t know you yet, Mr. Shore. | 我还不认识你呢Shore先生 |
[29:45] | But I get this feeling I’m gonna like you. | 但是我感觉我会喜欢你的 |
[29:47] | May I ask? You spoke of honoring obligations as if it’s a good thing? | 我想请问? 守信还债对你而言好像是件好事? |
[29:51] | Indeed I did. | 的确是 |
[29:52] | Then why do you and other credit card companies | 那为什么你们这些信用卡公司 |
[29:55] | refer to the customers who pay off their debts promptly as deadbeats? | 喜欢招揽还不起债的老赖作为顾客? |
[30:01] | Well, that’s not a term I would personally use. | 好吧 我并不倾向于使用这个词 |
[30:03] | No. Because you’re swell. | 当然 因为你是自大狂 |
[30:05] | But your company uses the term like a mantra. | 但是你们公司常把这个词挂在嘴边 |
[30:10] | Here’s the thing. | 是这样的 |
[30:11] | Let me tell you a little about me and why I chose to represent Prominence Bank. | 让我告诉你一些关于我自己的事 还有为什么我要为Prominence银行工作 |
[30:16] | Like any other credit card service, it’s a business, sure. | 就像其他信用卡业务一样 这是一门生意 |
[30:20] | But it is a service. | 但是也是一种服务 |
[30:22] | We help people who are short of cash. | 我们帮助囊中羞涩的人 |
[30:24] | Help them make their rent so they don’t get thrown out on the street. | 帮助他们交房租 避免他们流落街头 |
[30:28] | Help them make a car payment so they can get to work. | 帮助他们买车 使他们可以去上班 |
[30:31] | Help them buy Christmas presents for their children during tough times. | 帮助他们在困难日子里 为他们的孩子买圣诞节礼物 |
[30:37] | You’re like Santa Claus. | 你就像圣诞老人 |
[30:40] | I can see you and I need to go out and shoot some ducks together. | 我想我们可以一起出去射射鸭子 |
[30:43] | Do you explain all the credit terms to your customers? | 你向你的顾客解释了所有的服务条款吗? |
[30:46] | Well, they’re on the back of every application. | 是的 每张申请表后面都有 |
[30:50] | Like this? With the tiny print? | 像这个? 用这么小的字? |
[30:51] | I have JD and an MBA from Harvard and | 我拥有哈佛大学的法学博士和MBA学位 |
[30:54] | even I can’t make heads nor tails of this deception and fraud. | 但是我都不能分辨出里面的诡计和陷阱 |
[30:58] | It’s deception and fraud! | 这些欺诈行为! |
[31:06] | Well, look who found his tongue! | 原来他会说话! |
[31:09] | And you, Mr. Shore. | 至于你Shore先生 |
[31:10] | You’re a hoot. That’s what. | 你是个怪胎 |
[31:12] | Is it true your company actually targets people with bad credit ratings? | 你们公司事实上把拥有糟糕信用度 的人群作为目标 是吗? |
[31:18] | Well, we have an extremely complex marketing strategy, | 可以这么说 我们拥有极为复杂的市场策略 |
[31:21] | one that I’v be happy to take some time and explain to you. | 有些我很乐意花些时间解释给你听 |
[31:24] | That’s okay. | 不用了 |
[31:25] | I think I’ve got it. | 我想我明白了 |
[31:27] | You find people in dire straits and market directly to them | 你寻找一些处于困境的人作为市场目标 |
[31:30] | with the hope of forming a lifelong relationship. | 希望能够和他们建立终生的合作关系 |
[31:34] | I had a former client who kind of operated his business the same way. | 我原来有个委托人的生意手法和你一样 |
[31:38] | Really? What line of work was he in? | 真的? 他做哪行的? |
[31:40] | He sold heroin. | 他卖海洛因 |
[31:44] | My friend, I’m not a man who offends easily. | 我的朋友 我不是一个容易动气的人 |
[31:47] | So I could call you a loan shark and you’d be fine. | 那么我可以称你为借高利贷的 你应该不会反对 |
[31:51] | When you charge your customers 30 percent interest, you’re a loan shark. | 当你向你的顾客收取30%的利息 你就是高利贷者 |
[31:55] | That term implies criminal conduct. | 这个词带有犯罪意味 |
[31:58] | It’s not criminal, | 不是犯罪 |
[32:00] | because your parasitic lobbyists have penetrated both aisles of Congress. | 因为你们的说客遍布国会的每个角落 |
[32:05] | The credit card industry is more profitable than McDonalds, Microsoft and Walmart. | 信用卡产业获得的利润比麦当劳 微软和沃尔马都要高 |
[32:10] | You’ve got yourself a multi-billion dollar racket going, Mr. Palmer. | 你自己就过着纸醉金迷 花天酒地的生活 Palmer先生 |
[32:17] | Given that we are bigger than Walmart or McDonalds or Microsoft, | 考虑到我们比沃尔马或者麦当劳 又或者微软更巨型 |
[32:23] | we enjoy some security. | 我们也享有某些保障 |
[32:25] | And potential lawsuits like this? | 至于象这样潜在的官司? |
[32:28] | We have an expression in Texas, Mr. Shore. | 我们在得克萨斯有句话Shore先生 |
[32:31] | You’re all hat, and no cattle. | 你们是 扯虎皮 做大旗 |
[32:42] | Here’s the thing about me. | 告诉你我的看法 |
[32:44] | I am a hoot. | 我是个怪胎 |
[32:46] | But I insist on putting adversary back into the system. | 但是我喜欢和社会规则作对 |
[32:50] | And I do it openly and notoriously for all to hear. | 而且我喜欢大摇大摆地公开做反派 |
[32:54] | While a swell guy like you doesn’t want the public to know | 而相反 像你这样的自大狂 却喜欢做偷鸡摸狗的事 |
[32:58] | that of the thousands of industries tracked by the Better Business Bureau, | 以免被让人知道在商业信誉良好 监督局的记录中 |
[33:02] | the credit card racket is number one in customer complaints. | 信用卡欺诈位于顾客投诉的榜首 |
[33:06] | You don’t want them to know that you deliberately target | 你不想让他们知道你们的目标 |
[33:10] | those who won’t be able to pay off their debts. | 是那些还不起钱的人 |
[33:12] | People you call, revolvers. | 那些你们称为冤大头的人 |
[33:14] | People who see, zero percent interest in big blue print, | 他们看到利率为零就很高兴 |
[33:18] | and don’t know that with just one late payment, | 却不知道只要他们不能及时还款 |
[33:21] | you skyrocket their interest to 30 percent. | 他们的利率马上攀升到30% |
[33:23] | That if they so much as inquire about leasing a car, you raise their rates. | 他们只要动了一下租车的念头 你们就马上提高他们的利率 |
[33:28] | You don’t want the public to know that while over seven million families | 你不想让大众知道有7百万家庭 |
[33:32] | have filed for bankruptcy in the last five years, | 在过去5年内宣布破产 |
[33:35] | you got Congress to change the bankruptcy code | 而你们促使国会修改破产法 |
[33:38] | to make it next to impossible for people to discharge credit card debt. | 使他们不得不继续清偿信用卡债务 |
[33:42] | You don’t want people to know that the credit card industry is | 你不想让人们知道信用卡产业 |
[33:45] | essentially a pack of hyenas crunching on the bones of the poor, do you? | 就像是一群穷凶极恶的土狗 在啃噬穷人的骨头 对吗? |
[33:51] | I smell something awful. | 我闻到一阵臭味 |
[33:55] | I think it’s you. | 我想是你这传来的 |
[33:56] | Yes, this case has the stench of big tobacco and asbestos all over it. | 是的 这个案子本身就是腐臭不堪 |
[34:02] | Luckily our firm has nine offices around the US, London and Hong Kong, | 幸好我们事务所拥有位于美国 伦敦和香港等9家办事处 |
[34:08] | strategically positioned for massive class action suits. | 这是专为进行大规模的诉讼案而设置的 |
[34:13] | And once the company you represent smells it, too. | 因此 一旦你的公司也闻到了这股臭味 |
[34:15] | They’ll find you’re not nearly smart or powerful enough | 他们就会发现你既不聪明又没有能力 |
[34:18] | and they’ll drop you for a firm that employs expertise and intimidation | 然后他们就会发现作为一家 专业从事敲诈的公司 |
[34:23] | rather than down home hokum and smiley handshakes. | 请一个只会说废话和微笑握手的人是多余的 |
[34:27] | And this is my favorite part, | 接下来就是我最喜欢的部分 |
[34:29] | when your firm fires your obsequiese ass for losing their client, oh, my God! | 当你的公司因为你丢掉了他们的客户 而解雇你时 噢 我的天! |
[34:34] | The stress! Your tan will fade, you’ll gain a few pounds, | 压力出现了! 你再也不能去晒太阳了 你的收入也变少了 |
[34:38] | drink a bit more, scream at the kids, | 你开始酗酒 向孩子们大喊 |
[34:40] | and maybe your wife will finally leave you. | 而也许你的妻子最后会离开你 |
[34:43] | For the realtor who sells your house | 嫁给那个卖掉你房子的房地产经纪人 |
[34:45] | because after all he’ll still be able to afford Christmas in Aruba | 因为毕竟他还可以去阿鲁巴岛过圣诞 (阿鲁巴岛为荷属安的列斯群岛中的大岛) |
[34:48] | and next year’s convertible. | 还可以在下一年买一辆敞蓬车 |
[34:54] | Hey, fella. Don’t worry about it. | 嗨 伙计 别担心 |
[34:58] | It’ll be a hoot. | 我只是说说而已 |
[35:22] | You okay? | 你还好吧? |
[35:25] | Brad! | Brad! |
[35:27] | – Jury’s back. – Already? | – 陪审团回来了 – 那么快? |
[35:31] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[35:39] | Mr. Shore… | Shore先生… |
[35:41] | May I borrow a moment of your time? | 我能和你说几句吗? |
[35:43] | At 30 percent interest. | 我要收取30%的利息 |
[35:45] | You know what you are? | 你知道你像什么吗? |
[35:47] | You’re a pistol, that’s what. | 你就像把手枪 |
[35:50] | Listen. I’ve thought a lot of many of the issues you raised. | 听着 你的话让我想了很多 |
[35:53] | And, well, you touched me. | 而且 好吧 你感动了我 |
[35:56] | Did I? | 我有吗? |
[35:57] | It was certainly never our intent to victimize Melissa. | 我们绝对没有伤害Melissa的意图 |
[36:00] | Or anybody for that matter in her financial constraints. | 或者是限制她的经济自由 |
[36:03] | – No? – I talked to my clients. | – 真的? – 我和我的客户解释 |
[36:06] | Relayed to them that, well… | 传达我的看法 而且… |
[36:08] | You were touched. | 你们被感动了 |
[36:10] | We’ve decided to forgive all debts and loans to Melissa. | 我们决定免除Melissa的债务和款项 |
[36:14] | Just wipe it clean. How about that? | 一笔勾销 你觉得怎么样? |
[36:16] | – Now I’m touched. – Of course… | – 现在我被感动了 – 当然… |
[36:18] | my people are concerned about precedent. | 我的客户很担心一旦开了先例 |
[36:20] | And others demanding similar amnesty so… | 其他人也提出同样的要求的话… |
[36:23] | the offer would have to be conditioned on confidentiality. | 我们的交易必须建立在保密的基础上 |
[36:27] | Well, May I say as a personal aside, | 很好 让我说句心里话 |
[36:31] | it has been a real pleasure meeting both you and Melissa. | 见到你和Melissa真是我的荣幸 |
[36:34] | I wish you continued health and happiness in the future. | 我希望你们有个健康快乐的未来 |
[36:38] | You know we have a little saying in Massachusetts. | 在麻省我们经常说 |
[36:42] | Maybe someday you’ll get horribly sick and die. | 也许有一天你会得重病然后死掉 |
[36:46] | Until then! | 在那之前祝你好运! |
[36:50] | You… | 你… |
[36:52] | You dog. | 你这个坏蛋 |
[37:05] | Mr. Foreman, have you reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席 你们达成一致看法了吗? |
[37:08] | – We have, your honor. – What say you? | – 是的 法官阁下 – 是什么? |
[37:10] | On the charge of kidnapping we find the defendant, Bradley Chase… | 对于绑架的指控 我们认为被告Bradley Chase… |
[37:16] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[37:18] | On the charge of false imprisonment we find the defendant, Bradley Chase… | 对于非法监禁的指控 我们认为被告Bradley Chase… |
[37:23] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[37:24] | On the charge of aggravated assault, we find the defendant, Bradley Chase… | 对于严重伤人的指控 我们认为被告Bradley Chase… |
[37:31] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[37:32] | The jury is dismissed. | 陪审团可以解散了 |
[37:34] | The court thanks you for your service. | 法庭谢谢你们的参与 |
[37:36] | Mr. Chase, you are free to go. | Chase先生 你可以走了 |
[37:39] | Though personally I find your behavior to be shocking and outrageous! | 虽然我个人认为你的行为令人震惊和无耻! |
[37:44] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[37:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[37:51] | You got lucky, Brad. You do know that. | 你很幸运Brad 你要知道 |
[37:53] | I know. | 我知道 |
[37:56] | Denny? | Denny? |
[37:58] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[38:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[38:21] | First of all, I just wanna say thank-you. | 首先 我要向你说谢谢 |
[38:23] | Which, of course, goes totally without saying, but I’m saying it anyway. | 虽然 这不是一句谢谢可以表达的 无论如何我还是要说声谢谢 |
[38:27] | Second, I will work here for free to pay off my legal fees if you want me to. | 其次 我会在这免费工作来偿还律师费用 如果你要我这样做的话 |
[38:30] | I don’t. | 当然不用 |
[38:32] | Third, and this is not a come-on, it is just a statement of fact. | 再次 并没有其他意思 我说的只是事实 |
[38:36] | When you rattled off that whole, you don’t want the public to know, laundry list… | 当你说出那堆话 你不想公众知道之类的… |
[38:41] | That was the single sexiest thing I have ever seen a man do. | 这是我见过的男人所做的最性感的事 |
[38:44] | You should see me when I do it naked. | 你应该看看我在裸体的时候说一次 |
[38:48] | I’m just gonna go, um, change my… | 我要去 呃 换我的… |
[38:52] | screensaver. | 屏保 |
[39:13] | We won our case. Did you hear? | 我们赢了官司 你听说了吗? |
[39:15] | I did. | 听说了 |
[39:18] | Brad must be relieved. | Brad可以松一口气了 |
[39:21] | How’d your case with Hands go? | 你和怪手的案子如何了? |
[39:24] | Well. | 很好 |
[39:27] | Can I ask you something, friend to friend? | 我可以问你一些事吗 仅我们之间? |
[39:31] | Of course. | 当然可以 |
[39:34] | Shirley made this comment, | Shirley说了句话 |
[39:38] | “Don’t make it about me”. | “不要顾着自己出风头” |
[39:41] | Do I do that? | 我是这样的吗? |
[39:43] | – Get outta town. – Seriously. | – 一枝独秀 – 说认真的 |
[39:47] | Do I act like I’m the only one in the room? | 我的行为就像房子里只有我一人吗? |
[39:50] | Denny, one of the things I love about you is when we talk. | Denny 我喜欢你的其中一个理由 就是当我们谈话的时候 |
[39:54] | Often it’s as if you’re not even in the room. | 你好像根本就不在这里 |
[39:58] | Promise? | 保证? |
[40:02] | I was brilliant by the way. | 话说回来 我的确很抢眼 |
[40:04] | I wish you’ve been there. | 我真希望你也在那儿 |
[40:07] | I wish I had as well, Denny. | 我也希望我在 Denny |
[40:09] | I must tell you though, | 然而我必须要说 |
[40:10] | it’s not that I don’t appreciate the value of fascistic problem solving, | 虽然我并不是反对这种片面地解决问题方式 |
[40:14] | but given Brad and the FBI’s tactics here, | 但是按照Brad和FBI的做法 |
[40:17] | if I had been the prosecutor, Brad’d be in prison tonight. | 如果我是检察官 Brad今晚 就要在监狱里度过了 |
[40:21] | And if I’d be representing the pedophile, | 而如果我是那个恋童癖的律师 |
[40:24] | I’d be getting him out. | 我会让他脱罪 |
[40:27] | I’d have shot him. | 我会开枪射他 |
[40:29] | Right. | 没错 |
[40:32] | Think we’ll ever see the day when the defense lawyer… | 有没有想过如果有一天辨方律师… |
[40:35] | will be legally permitted to shoot the defendant? | 可以合法地开枪射自己的委托人? |
[40:38] | We seem to be making progress. | 世界总是在进步 |
[40:42] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[40:43] | I’ll be your attorney. | 我将会是你的律师 |