时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:12] | You want to run that by me again? | 再说一次? |
[00:14] | We have a group of complaining parents. | 我们的客户是一群生气的家长 |
[00:17] | They’re suing their elementary | 他们要起诉他们孩子的小学 |
[00:19] | school over the Halloween pageant. | 所举办的复活节庆典 |
[00:21] | In particular… | 理由是… |
[00:23] | they don’t like the witch. | 他们不喜欢那个女巫 |
[00:26] | There are two groups of parents who are upset. | 这些愤怒的家长分成两方 |
[00:29] | One is Christian. | 一方是基督教徒 |
[00:30] | The other group is, uh… | 另外一方是 呃… |
[00:33] | well… | 是… |
[00:35] | Yes? | 什么? |
[00:38] | Witches. | 女巫 |
[00:40] | Did you say witches? | 你刚才说得是女巫吗? |
[00:41] | I said witches. | 没错 |
[00:42] | Which group does the firm represent? | 我们要代表哪一方? |
[00:45] | Well, actually, both. | 事实上 两方都是 |
[00:56] | Candy corn? | 要糖吗? |
[01:32] | It’s just, though they are | 他们只是因为相同的目的 |
[01:33] | together for the purpose of this motion, | 而走到一起 |
[01:35] | they’re not so much together. | 其实他们之间的关系并不和睦 |
[01:36] | And I think having two | 而我想如果各派一个律师的话 |
[01:37] | lawyers, in case there are conflicts. | 可能互相产生冲突 |
[01:40] | Yes, and you think the senior partner | 没错 而你认为我这个高级合伙人 |
[01:42] | of the firm should be doing this because… | 应该接这个案子的原因是… |
[01:45] | It’ll be fun. | 这个案子会很好玩 |
[01:47] | Plus, you promised I’d get to try cases with you. | 而且 你答应过我会和我一起办一个案子 |
[01:57] | Do you know your briefcase is smoking? | 你知道你的公文包在冒烟吗? |
[02:00] | This is the season, Brad. | 这叫应时 Brad |
[02:01] | Bubble, bubble, toil and so forth. | 泡泡 泡泡 圈套 茶煲… (这句话Alan篡改自莎士比亚的诗歌”女巫之锅”) |
[02:03] | This is a law firm. | 这里是律师事务所 |
[02:05] | Thank you for that. | 谢谢你提醒我 |
[02:08] | Mr. Shore. My name is Garrett Wells. | Shore先生 我是Garrett Wells |
[02:11] | Garrett Wells Sounds like an old western town, Garrett Wells. | 听起来像是一个古老的西方小镇 |
[02:14] | I’m an associate here. | 我是这里的助理律师 |
[02:15] | Yes, you’re the one who sleeps with paralegals. | 我知道 你就是和律师助手上床的那个 |
[02:18] | – And this is, uh… – The paralegal. | – 这位是 呃… – 我就是那个律师助手 |
[02:22] | Can we talk to you for a second? | 我们能谈谈吗? |
[02:24] | You are talking. | 我听着呢 |
[02:25] | In private, please? | 私下谈谈 行吗? |
[02:30] | Let me put this out. | 让我先把这个处理掉 |
[02:35] | My little brother Jeffrey signed up for the national guard. | 我的弟弟Jeffrey曾服役于国民警卫队 |
[02:39] | He fulfilled his service contract in Iraq. | 他很好地在伊拉克完成了他的使命 |
[02:41] | He was supposed to come home. | 他原本是就要回来的 |
[02:43] | The army kept him there under the stop loss program. | 军方根据”停止减员”程序 把他留在那儿 (“stop-loss”指用延长服役时间的方式来 阻止军人退役以减少非战斗减员) |
[02:47] | There weren’t enough soldiers on the ground | 因为那里没有足够的士兵 |
[02:49] | so they put him in a position that he never trained for. | 因此他们把他安排到一个他从来 没有接受过相关培训的职位上 |
[02:52] | It got him killed. | 导致他被杀害 |
[02:56] | I realize as a matter of law that | 我知道军方对这种诉讼 |
[02:58] | the army is immune from these suits. | 具有豁免权 |
[03:00] | There is probably no way to win this. | 因此几乎没有可能可以打赢这场官司 |
[03:02] | That’s why we came to you. | 所以我们来寻求你的帮助 |
[03:04] | You, um, have a high success | 你十分善于使用非常规 |
[03:05] | rate for unconventional trials. | 手段来赢得官司 |
[03:07] | That’s only because the conventional trials won’t have me. | 那是因为总是没人找我打常规的官司 |
[03:12] | What are you looking to gain from this? | 你想在这场官司中获得什么? |
[03:15] | I’m not sure. | 我不太清楚 |
[03:20] | I go home and cry every night. | 我每晚回家都在哭 |
[03:23] | Until I start to scream. | 直到我开始尖叫 |
[03:28] | Maybe… | 也许… |
[03:30] | I just want someone to hear my screams. | 我只是想让别人听见我的呐喊 |
[03:50] | It promotes a specific religion. | 这是在宣扬邪教 |
[03:53] | Ah! Shirley Schmidt! | 啊! Shirley Schmidt! |
[03:55] | Grace and Bob Mathias. | 这是Grace 和 Bob Mathias |
[03:57] | They’re, uh… | 他们是 呃… |
[03:59] | The Christians. | 基督徒 |
[04:01] | And Evelyn and Sam Sawtelle. | 而这是 Evelyn 和 Sam Sawtelle |
[04:03] | – The witches. – Wiccans. | – 女巫 – 巫师 |
[04:04] | Sorry. Uh, as I understand it, the four of you | 抱歉 呃 据我所知 你们四个想要 |
[04:07] | want to stop the school celebration of Halloween. | 阻止学校的万圣节庆典 |
[04:11] | It’s satanic. | 那是魔鬼的庆典 |
[04:12] | Uh, that’s not the position we’re taking. | 呃 我们不赞同这个说法 |
[04:13] | I mean, we’re not allowed to have a Christmas concert | 我的意思是 他们从不允许举行圣诞音乐会 |
[04:16] | because of the whole church and state thing, but every year… | 理由是要什么政教分离之类的 但是每年… |
[04:18] | – At our children’s school. – A public school. | – 在我们孩子的学校 – 公立学校 |
[04:20] | Paid for with our taxes. | 用我们纳税人的钱建立的学校 |
[04:21] | They have a Halloween pageant. | 他们可以举办万圣节庆典 |
[04:23] | It’s a pageant, is it? | 只是庆典对吧? |
[04:24] | Where not only are images of | 那为什么除了 |
[04:26] | witches prominently displayed | 到处都挂满了女巫的肖像之外 |
[04:27] | But the principal of the school… | 连学校的校长… |
[04:29] | Mrs. Berleth… | Berleth夫人… |
[04:29] | dresses up like a witch. And she cackles. | 都要穿得像个女巫 还要在那尖笑 |
[04:35] | – She cackles. – Bloodcurdling cackles. | – 她在尖笑 – 令人毛骨悚然 |
[04:37] | We find the whole thing horribly offensive. | 我们同样不能忍受这整件事 |
[04:40] | Because… Ms. Schmidt, as a Wiccan couple, | 因为… Schmidt女士 作为一对巫师夫妇 |
[04:42] | it’s hard enough raising our daughter in this culture | 在外界文化的影响下 我们本来就很难和女儿沟通 |
[04:45] | without stereotypical images holding her up for ridicule. | 加上这种对巫术的错误渲染 只会让她觉得我们很可笑 |
[04:48] | I mean, I ask you, are we green? | 我的意思是 我问你 我们是小绿人吗? |
[04:51] | – Do we have warts? – And as a Christian couple, | – 我们身上有瘤吗? – 同样 作为一对基督徒夫妇 |
[04:53] | we resent having our faith | 我们极不愿见到我们的信仰被 |
[04:55] | marginalized while satan worship is openly… | 排挤的同时拜魔教却可以公开地… |
[04:57] | Witches don’t worship satan, Grace. | 巫术并不崇拜魔鬼 Grace |
[04:59] | Promoted. | 你们在宣扬它 |
[05:01] | Specifically. | 换种方式罢了 |
[05:03] | – It’s unfair. – It’s defatory. | – 这不公平 – 这是误导 |
[05:05] | You can see, while both couples are on the same side, | 你看 他们还是有共同点的 |
[05:08] | we have competing claims. | 虽然主张不尽相同 |
[05:10] | But we’re putting our differences aside… | 但是我们可以暂时把争议放在一边… |
[05:12] | For the greater good… | 先解决主要矛盾… |
[05:24] | How could they possibly file papers so thick so fast? | 他们怎么能够那么快准备了那么多资料? |
[05:27] | Clearly the government was ready for this very case. | 很明显政府对这种事已经有所预料 |
[05:30] | And just as clearly, they want to shut it down fast. | 而且他们显然想要尽快解决我们 |
[05:33] | So what happens? | 那我们怎么办? |
[05:34] | Well, instead of responding in kind, | 既然这样 与其迎合他们 |
[05:36] | I plan to ask the judge for an evidentiary hearing. | 我准备去要求法官举行一场听证会 |
[05:39] | My feeling is, after listening to you, Cassie, | 我想 当他听了你的陈词 Cassie |
[05:42] | he’ll be less inclined to | 他可能不会那么草率地 |
[05:44] | just summarily dismiss the claim. | 撤销这个案件 |
[05:46] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[05:47] | It also might help if your parents could be there. | 同时 如果你的家长也在场的话会更好 |
[05:50] | Well, my parents aren’t with me on this. | 可惜我的家长并不同意我的意见 |
[05:52] | They think I’m dishonoring my | 他们认为我弟弟为国捐躯 |
[05:54] | brother’s memory and his sacrifice. | 的光荣事迹会因此蒙羞 |
[05:58] | Okay. We filed in state court | 好吧 我们已经以国家侵权行为 |
[06:01] | under the state torts claim act, | 作为主题向州立法院起诉 |
[06:03] | and miraculously, a judge agreed to hear us. | 很幸运地 有一位法官同意听证 |
[06:06] | The bad news is we drew a peculiar judge. | 但是不幸的是 这位法官很特别 |
[06:10] | In 26 years on the bench, I have | 我当了26年的法官 |
[06:12] | never seen a case so ridiculous. | 还从来没见过那么可笑的案子 |
[06:15] | It nauseates me. | 它简直让我作呕 |
[06:16] | Your honor is being a little dramatic. | 阁下说话真风趣 |
[06:19] | He was a solider in a war. What’s more, he enlisted. | 他是一名士兵 而且 他正在服役 |
[06:22] | Private Elliot’s tour of duty was | 二等兵Elliot 的服役期已经结束了 |
[06:24] | over. He should not have been in Iraq. | 他不应该继续呆在伊拉克 |
[06:26] | He enlisted in part because | 他仍呆在那里的原因是 |
[06:27] | he was fraudulently recruited. | 他被蒙骗了 |
[06:29] | Moreover, the army then put him in | 而且 军方随后安排他做一样 |
[06:30] | a job for which he was not trained | 他从来没有接受过培训的任务 |
[06:32] | And which resulted in his death. | 结果导致了他的死亡 |
[06:34] | Move to dismiss. | 请撤销此案 |
[06:35] | The United states army is immune from this sort… | 美国军方对这类型的案件有豁免… |
[06:37] | Not to claims based on fraud, | 但是豁免权不包括欺骗别人从军 |
[06:39] | Which this is. | 正如此案 |
[06:39] | What if the families of every | 如果每个烈士家属 |
[06:41] | solider killed in combat decided to sue? | 都决定要起诉的话 |
[06:43] | We’d have a logistical nightmare. | 我们将会面临极大的问题 |
[06:45] | Fortunately, we’re only | 幸好我们目前只有 |
[06:46] | dealing with one person suing here, | 一起诉讼案 |
[06:48] | and if you’re predisposed to kick it, so be it. | 如果您要驳回此案 您大可以这么做 |
[06:50] | But at least take an hour to hear from | 但是至少在那之前 给我们的证人 |
[06:52] | a couple of witnesses before doing so. | 一点点时间进行陈词 |
[06:55] | You have a legacy of | 阁下您素来有 |
[06:57] | unfettered fairness, your honor. | 公平公正的美誉 |
[07:00] | Please do not tarnish it. | 我相信您会做出正确的判断的 |
[07:09] | You pay the court costs. | 费用你出 |
[07:11] | 2 o’clock. | 2点整 |
[07:15] | He actually got a hearing? | 他真的争取到了听证? |
[07:17] | – Don’t ask me how. – Well, what did he say? | – 别问我怎么办到的 – 那他怎么说的? |
[07:19] | Don’t you two have anything else to do? | 你们俩没有其他事可做了吗? |
[07:22] | Um, we’re discussing a case, sir. | 呃 我们正在讨论一个案子 |
[07:24] | It’s not a case. It’s an | 那才不能叫一个案子 |
[07:25] | abuse of the judicial process. | 那简直就是对整个司法系统的侮辱 |
[07:29] | – Yes, we’re discussing that. – Go shine your shoes. | – 是的 我们就是在说这个 – 去把你的鞋子擦干净 |
[07:32] | – I beg your pardon? – You heard me. | – 你说什么? – 你听得没错 |
[07:35] | Shine your shoes now. | 现在就去把你的鞋子擦干净 |
[07:44] | – And how’s your grooming? – I think fine… sir. | – 那你觉得你的仪表怎么样? – 我想应该很整洁…先生 |
[07:49] | Go to work. | 去工作吧 |
[07:54] | It’s fun to pull rank, isn’t it? | 好大的官威啊 |
[07:56] | What you are doing | 你的所作所为 |
[07:57] | is an arrogant dismissal of that | 是对那名年轻士兵伟大的牺牲的 |
[07:59] | young soldier’s ultimate sacrifice. | 的极度蔑视 |
[08:01] | And as somebody who served in the Gulf war, proudly, | 而作为一名曾为参与海湾战争而自豪的人 |
[08:05] | when you disrespect our soldiers, | 当你不尊重我们的士兵时 |
[08:08] | you disrespect me. I don’t like it. | 就是在不尊重我 我对此很反感 |
[08:21] | Is it true? | 是真的吗? |
[08:24] | You’re criticizing the war? | 你在批评战争? |
[08:26] | Constructive criticism. | 提出善意的建议 |
[08:35] | What? | 怎么了? |
[08:35] | Alan, I’ve loved you like a… | Alan 我待你如同… |
[08:38] | Sister. | 姐妹 |
[08:41] | We’re Americans. To be critical in a time of war. | 我们是美国人 在战时批评战事 |
[08:44] | Even the Democrats are smart | 就算是民主党人在这个时候 |
[08:47] | enough to keep their mouth shut on this. | 也都聪明地闭上他们的嘴巴 |
[08:48] | Edward R. Murrow said we should | Edward R. Murrow 曾说过 (Murrow 为CBS知名新闻主播 |
[08:50] | never confuse dissent with disloyalty. | 我们不可以将反对的声音视作背叛 他在50年代以反对麦卡锡主义而闻名) |
[08:52] | Edward R. Murrow is media. | Edward R. Murrow 是卖新闻的 |
[08:54] | And he’s dead. Dead don’t count. | 而且他已经死了 死了的不算数 |
[08:56] | The dead do count, Denny, which | 死者不能被忽视 |
[08:58] | is why we’re bringing this lawsuit. | 因此我们才进行这场控诉 |
[09:02] | Drop the case. Do it now. | 撤销这个案子 马上 |
[09:04] | I’m not dropping it, Denny. | 我不能这样做 Denny |
[09:08] | Alan? | Alan? |
[09:11] | I’m senior partner. | 我是高级合伙人 |
[09:13] | I’m asking you, check that, I’m directing you. | 我现在让你 听清楚 我命令你 |
[09:18] | – Drop it. – No. | – 撤诉 – 不行 |
[09:38] | I’ll boil you whole and | 我要把你烹了 |
[09:40] | suck the skin from your bones! | 吃了你的骨头! |
[09:52] | Or something like that. | 或者类似这样的话 |
[09:57] | Mr. Mathias, is this an accurate depiction | Mathias先生 刚才Berleth 校长所做的示范 |
[10:01] | of principal Berleth’s | 是否就和她在复活节上 |
[10:03] | behavior during the Halloween pageant? | 所做的表演相符? |
[10:04] | Yes, except she does sort of a… swoop. | 是的 除此之外还有些张牙舞爪的动作 |
[10:13] | Could we see the swoop, please? | 我们能看看那些动作吗? |
[10:27] | Uh, your honor, just… | 呃 法官阁下… |
[10:30] | Your honor… | 法官阁下… |
[10:32] | Your honor, the defense | 法官阁下 |
[10:34] | stipulates she’s scary as all get out. | 被告稍微增加了点戏剧效果 |
[10:38] | Mrs. Berleth, you may be seated. | Berleth女士 你可以坐下了 |
[10:40] | The court thanks you for the riveting demonstration. | 谢谢你生动的演示 |
[10:50] | Why is Mrs. Berleth’s | 为什么你认为Berleth女士的表演 |
[10:52] | performance so harmful to your children? | 会让你的孩子受到伤害? |
[10:54] | I mean, it’s just Halloween. | 我是说 只是复活节游戏而已 |
[10:56] | And that’s what we hear daily. | 我们在日常生活中也会说 |
[10:58] | “It’s just a movie. ” “It’s just a video game. “ | “只是电影而已 ” “只是电视游戏而已” |
[11:00] | “It’s just the super bowl halftime show. “ | “只是超级碗的半场表演而已” (暗指乐坛天后珍妮-杰克逊的露乳事件) |
[11:02] | But she’s not just a witch to you, is she? | 但是你来说 她不仅只是一个女巫? |
[11:04] | No, and I should be able to protect my children | 不 因此我必须保护我的孩子 |
[11:06] | from things I deem harmful. | 受到从中伤害 |
[11:08] | Trying to raise my kids to have | 我从小就尝试把我的孩子培养成 |
[11:10] | strong Christian values in today’s world | 虔诚的基督教信徒 |
[11:12] | is hard enough without the head of the school | 就算一校之长没有打扮成一个魔鬼的仆人 |
[11:14] | dressing up like a servant of satan. | 这在当今社会风气的影响下也已经够难的了 |
[11:16] | It’s bad enough my 7- year-old knows all about | 我7岁的儿子老是把游戏中的 |
[11:18] | bitches, pimps and hos from “grand theft auto”. | 妓女 皮条客 种马这种词汇挂在嘴边 |
[11:21] | Michael Jackson and child | 麦克尔-杰克逊的狎童案 |
[11:22] | molestation are now words in his vernacular. | 让他们津津乐道 |
[11:24] | My sixth grade daughter has | 我还在上6年级的女儿 |
[11:25] | classmates who will, excuse me, | 在学校中的同学 |
[11:27] | perform oral sex for a dollar. | 会为了1美元而提供口交服务 |
[11:29] | Now all of this is learned at school. | 这些都是他们在学校里学到的 |
[11:31] | This is why we’re so livid. | 所以我们才那么的愤怒 |
[11:32] | This is why so many of us are homeschooling, | 正因此我们当中的许多人才让孩子在家自学 |
[11:34] | but I don’t want to have to do that. | 但是我不想这么做 |
[11:35] | Public school is just that. It’s our school, too. | 公立学校 顾名思义 就是大家的学校 |
[11:40] | And satan shouldn’t be there. | 撒旦不应该出现在这里 |
[11:49] | The national guard said | 国民警卫队告诉他 |
[11:50] | they’d pay his tuition for college. | 他们会为他提供上大学的奖学金 |
[11:52] | He was also told that he’d be safe. | 同时也说他会很安全 |
[11:55] | Safe? | 安全? |
[11:56] | He was gonna be a cannon loader, | 他本来是负责装载炮弹的 |
[11:58] | not one of the guys on the streets. | 不是在街上巡逻警戒 |
[12:00] | They promised. When he was reassigned, | 他们曾保证 如果他留下来继续服役 |
[12:03] | doing the job of an MP, guarding a convoy truck, | 他们会安排他到宪兵队 负责看守押运车 |
[12:07] | he made a joke that he should’ve just joined the Boston PD. | 他曾说过一个笑话 如果他想要当个警察 |
[12:09] | If he was gonna travel halfway | 直接加入波士顿警局就可以了 |
[12:10] | around the world to become a cop. | 何必在地球上兜一个大圈 |
[12:12] | Cassie, what happened on September 2nd of this year? | Cassie 在今年的九月二日发生了什么事 |
[12:16] | Jeff’s convoy was pulling through a town called Iskandariyah. | Jeff看管的押运车正经过一个 叫Iskandariyah的小镇 |
[12:20] | They nearly ran over an IED. | 他们差点碾过一个IED |
[12:23] | It’s an improvised explosive device. | 那是一个简易爆炸装置 |
[12:25] | A bomb. | 一个炸弹 |
[12:26] | They had to disarm it before the convoy could go on. | 要继续前进的话他们必须要拆除它 |
[12:30] | Jeff didn’t have any training | Jeff 没有受过任何 |
[12:32] | in disarming homemade bombs. | 拆弹训练 |
[12:33] | But it had to be done, and no one else had a clue. | 但是炸弹必须被拆除 而没有人知道该怎么做 |
[12:37] | He was always like that. | 他总是一个 |
[12:39] | You know, he… | 你明白 他是… |
[12:40] | was always one you could count on. | 他总是一个能够信任的人 |
[12:44] | He just never should have been there! | 他只是根本不应该在那儿! |
[12:45] | Okay. | 谢谢 |
[12:46] | But, Cassie, he did enlist. | 但是 Cassie 他正在服役 |
[12:49] | You sign up for the military, | 既然你同意他应征入伍 |
[12:51] | you have to assume the risk of going to war. | 你就应该知道战争总是存在风险 |
[12:54] | His tour of duty was up. | 他已经尽到了他的职责 |
[12:56] | Plus he died doing something he was never trained for. | 但是他从来没有接受过拆弹训练 |
[13:00] | He didn’t assume that risk. | 他根本预料过这种风险 |
[13:07] | Nothing further. | 我问完了 |
[13:12] | Mr. Randolph? | Randolph先生? |
[13:13] | I have nothing for Ms. Elliot | 我没有什么要问的了 |
[13:15] | except to thank her family | 我只是想对Elliot小姐和她的家庭 |
[13:16] | for the sacrifice that they’ve made | 为我们这场坚苦卓越的战争 |
[13:18] | during this difficult struggle for freedom. Thank you. | 所做出的贡献表示崇高的敬意 |
[13:44] | Hi. Did we have a meeting scheduled? | 你们好 我们原本计划碰面的吗? |
[13:47] | Denise, we have some concerns about our case. | Denise 我们对案子有些看法 |
[13:50] | Okay. Well, please. | 好的 那么 请说 |
[13:56] | We don’t want to make trouble, | 我们不想惹麻烦 |
[13:57] | but the Christians keep bringing up satanism, | 但是那些基督徒不断地称我们为撒旦的信徒 |
[13:59] | which completely misrepresents | 这完全曲解了我们的信仰 |
[14:01] | what our religion is about. | 的真正意义 |
[14:02] | We’re worried that the Wiccan | 我们担心我们的利益 |
[14:04] | side isn’t being represented fairly, | 会受到损害 |
[14:06] | I mean, we’re a recognized religion | 我的意思是 我们是公认的合法的宗教团体 |
[14:08] | with hundreds of thousands of followers. | 有着成千上万的信徒 |
[14:11] | We’re just looking for balance. | 我们只是要求公平对待 |
[14:12] | Well, your side is up next, | 下次轮到你们发言 |
[14:14] | and you’ll be able to state your position fully. | 你们可以自由地阐述你们的立场 |
[14:18] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[14:19] | Thank you. That’s all we ask. | 谢谢你 这正是我们想要的 |
[14:22] | Yeah. | 对啊 |
[14:27] | Should we say something? | 我们该不该说? |
[14:29] | What? | 什么? |
[14:30] | – Um, Denise… – Uh, we don’t know you very well. | – 呃 Denise… – 呃 我们和你不是很熟 |
[14:35] | Wiccans care about spreading goodwill | 巫术主张施善 |
[14:39] | and restoring the natural balance of the world. | 和回复宇宙间的自然平衡 |
[14:42] | And from you, well, we’re feeling | 而我们从你身上 |
[14:45] | a quiet, screaming disharmony. | 感觉到一种不和谐的现象 |
[14:49] | Come again? | 再说一次? |
[14:50] | Maybe it has to do with the fact that you’re recently divorced. | 也许这和你最近刚离婚有点关系 |
[14:54] | How did you know that? | 你们怎么知道的? |
[14:55] | You have a tan line from your ring. | 你的手指上还留着戒指的痕迹 |
[15:01] | We can help. It’s what we do. | 我们可以帮你 我们有这个能力 |
[15:03] | I appreciate your concern, but I’m completely… | 我很感激你们对我的关心 但是我很… |
[15:08] | harmonic. | 和谐 |
[15:10] | – Okay. | – 好吧 – 好吧 – Okay. |
[15:24] | This case is going great. | 案子进行的不错 |
[15:26] | You did excellent today. | 你今天的表现很好 |
[15:27] | Yeah, whatever that means. It’s… | 嗯 无论怎么说都好… |
[15:31] | so… | 那么… |
[15:34] | so I’m just gonna… | 我要说的是… |
[15:42] | I don’t want to have sex with you anymore. | 我不想再和你上床了 |
[15:48] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[15:51] | Well, as it turns out, as my client, | 也对 作为我的委托人 |
[15:55] | I’m not supposed to have sex with you anyway. | 我不应该和你发生关系的 |
[16:01] | So there we are. | 那我们到此为止吧 |
[16:05] | There we are. | 到此为止 |
[17:01] | I’m trying on my Halloween costume. | 我正在试穿我的万圣节衣服 |
[17:04] | What are your thoughts? | 你觉得怎么样? |
[17:07] | I prefer to be alone. Please leave. | 我想一个人呆着 请出去 |
[17:10] | – Why? – No reason. | – 为什么? – 不为什么 |
[17:14] | If you were to guess at a reason… | 如果硬要说一个原因… |
[17:16] | If I were to guess, | 如果硬要说原因 |
[17:18] | I’d say maybe I don’t want to socialize | 我会说我不想对一个 |
[17:20] | with a pinko liberal Democrat commie. | 左倾民主党人须臾奉承 |
[17:24] | You may think it’s patriotic to dissent, | 你也许会认为这是 爱之深责之切 |
[17:26] | and maybe it is, sometimes. | 有时候也许是的 |
[17:28] | But to sue the army in a | 但是在战时起诉军队 |
[17:31] | time of war is not patriotic. | 绝对不是爱国行为 |
[17:32] | It borders on treason. And I’m disgusted with you. | 那是叛国 我对你很失望 |
[17:37] | And just so you know, most of | 而且你要知道 |
[17:38] | the Democrats voted for this war. | 大部分的民主党人也投了赞成票 |
[17:40] | John Kerry voted for it. | 克里投了赞成票 |
[17:42] | Hillary Clinton voted for it. | 希拉里也投了赞成票 |
[17:44] | And now suddenly it becomes unpopular, | 现在情况突然变了 |
[17:46] | say what you will about Republicans, | 你说我们共和党人会怎么做 |
[17:49] | we stick to our convictions, | 我们会一直坚守原则 |
[17:50] | even when we know we’re dead wrong. | 就算我们知道我们完全是错的 |
[17:51] | Some might say especially then. | 有些甚至屡错屡战 |
[17:53] | It’s not funny, Alan. | 一点都不好笑 Alan |
[17:56] | I can’t look at you right now. | 我现在不想看到你 |
[17:58] | I don’t know how you could miss me. | 那你会想我的 |
[18:02] | This is how I feel. I don’t want to be in your company. | 我现在的想法是 我不想和你呆在一间公司里 |
[18:29] | On the ground, there’s separate rules | 在战地上 警卫队和 |
[18:31] | for national guards and active duty soldiers. | 当值士兵有着不同的职责 |
[18:33] | How do you mean? | 你指的是什么? |
[18:35] | Well, guardsmen have to write | 警卫队的职责是向总部申请 |
[18:36] | home for essential supplies, | 物质支援 |
[18:37] | little things like flashlights, batteries, | 包括从手电筒 电池 |
[18:41] | to major stuff like body armor. | 到防弹衣的一切物质支援 |
[18:42] | You weren’t given proper body armor? | 你们没有装备防弹衣? |
[18:44] | None of us were. | 我们都没有 |
[18:45] | Now you were trained as a medic. | 你所接受的是医护培训 |
[18:47] | Yes, sir. And when I got there | 是的 但是当我到了那里 |
[18:49] | they had me doing MP duty | 他们要求我做属于宪兵队的工作 |
[18:51] | because there was no one left to do it. | 因为他们缺乏人手 |
[18:53] | Before I knew it, I was guarding convoys. | 在我了解到发生什么事之前 我正在看守押运车 |
[18:55] | With private Elliot? | 和二等兵Elliot一起? |
[18:56] | It happened to a lot of us. | 这种事时有发生 |
[18:57] | There just aren’t enough guys over there. | 因为那儿总是不够人手 |
[18:59] | Corporal, based on what your recruiter told you, | 下士 当你应征加入国民警卫队时 |
[19:01] | is this what you expected when | 征兵处工作人员对你说的 |
[19:03] | you signed up for the national guard? | 和你在战场上遇到的情况一致吗? |
[19:04] | No, sir. No. I wanted to go into the medical field. | 不一致 我本来要去的是战地医院 |
[19:07] | My recruiter told me that the | 工作人员对我说 |
[19:09] | government would pay for my medical school, | 政府会支付我上医学院的费用 |
[19:10] | and that in Iraq I’d be a medic, never see combat. | 而我在伊拉克是作为一名医护人员 不用参与战斗 |
[19:14] | Why are you home now? | 为什么你退伍了? |
[19:16] | I was shot. | 我中枪了 |
[19:19] | Thank you, corporal. | 谢谢你 下士 |
[19:22] | You were a soldier in a war. | 你是战场上的一名士兵 |
[19:24] | I was told that I would never see combat. | 我被告知我不用参与战斗 |
[19:26] | Is it your testimony that you | 你的证词说你从来 |
[19:27] | were never trained in combat? | 没有受过战斗训练? |
[19:29] | That’s not my testimony. | 我没有那么说 |
[19:30] | And, corporal, before you joined the national guard, | 那么 下士 在你加入国民警卫队之前 |
[19:33] | you were roughly $6,000 in debt. | 你欠下了6千美元的债务 |
[19:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:36] | And the government gave you a hefty signing bonus, | 而政府给了你一大笔奖金 |
[19:38] | which you used to pay off that debt. | 使你可以偿还那笔债务 |
[19:41] | Yes, sir. | 是的 长官 |
[19:42] | And now that you’re back at home, | 现在你回国了 |
[19:44] | going to college at nighttuition-free and have a good job, | 免费读书并且找到一份好工作 |
[19:47] | both of which the government facilitated | 这都是政府根据你在国民警卫队中 |
[19:49] | based on your training in the national guard. | 受过的训练提供给你的 |
[19:52] | – Yes, sir. – And your testimony is | – 是的 长官 – 而你在证词中说 |
[19:54] | that the government didn’t keep its promises to you. | 政府没有兑现对你的承诺 |
[19:58] | That is not my testimony. | 我没有这样说 |
[20:09] | It’s actually a good thing | 他们要传召证人 |
[20:11] | that they’re calling a witness | 而且法官想听听他们的看法 |
[20:12] | and that the judge wants to hear from their side. | 这是一件好事 |
[20:13] | It means we’ve… | 这意味着我们… |
[20:18] | made an impression. | 有了进展 |
[20:24] | – What’s this? – My Halloween costume. | – 这是什么? – 我的万圣节服装 |
[20:26] | We were gonna be flamingos together. | 我们不是说好一起扮火烈鸟的吗? |
[20:29] | I decided to be a hunter. Leave. | 我现在决定要做一个猎人 请离开 |
[20:32] | Hunters shoot flamingos. | 可是猎人会射火烈鸟… |
[20:37] | Could you excuse us, please? | 请让我们单独谈谈 |
[20:43] | Denny, whether or not one agrees with the war… | Denny 无论赞不赞成战争… |
[20:46] | I don’t want to talk about it. | 我不想谈这些 |
[20:47] | Why is that? Why does no one want to talk about it? | 为什么? 为什么没有人愿意谈这些? |
[20:49] | Why can’t friends even discuss it? | 为什么朋友间不能讨论一下? |
[20:50] | Because you’re either with us or against us, | 因为你要不赞成我们 要不反对我们 |
[20:52] | and I don’t want to talk to people who are against us. | 而我不想和反对我们的人讨论这个问题 |
[21:02] | Wicca is a way to reconnect. | 巫术是一种自我治疗的方式 |
[21:06] | In our modern, mechanized world, | 在我们这个高度现代化的社会 |
[21:09] | people have lost touch with nature, | 人类与自然越行越远 |
[21:12] | and Wicca teaches us that | 而巫术告诉我们 |
[21:14] | God is in all living things. | 神存在于万物之中 |
[21:16] | What about magic? | 那所谓的魔法呢? |
[21:18] | The only spells we cast are positive ones. | 我们只会释放带有正面效果的魔法 |
[21:21] | We believe in the law of three. | 我们遵循”三倍法则” |
[21:23] | Whatever energy you put out in the | 你对他人所做所为 不论好坏 |
[21:25] | world will return to you threefold. | 最后都会以三倍相同的效果还施到你自己身上 |
[21:28] | So we promote goodwill, not hexes. | 所以我们提倡行善嫉恶 |
[21:32] | Tell us why you want Mrs. Berleth to end her witch act. | 告诉我们你为什么要Berleth女士停止扮演女巫 |
[21:36] | The stereotype, the wicked witch. | 因为她扮演的是一个刻板邪恶的女巫形象 |
[21:39] | My daughter comes home at least once a week crying | 我的女儿每个星期至少有一天是哭着回家的 |
[21:42] | because the kids in school torment her | 因为学校里的孩子嘲笑她 |
[21:44] | and say she worships the devil. | 说她是魔鬼的仆从 |
[21:47] | You don’t worship satan, do you, Evelyn? | 你们并不信奉撒旦? |
[21:49] | Wicca has no concept of satan. | 巫术中根本就没有撒旦的概念 |
[21:51] | The devil and fire and brimstone, hell. | 也没有魔鬼 劫火 硫磺 地狱 |
[21:57] | That stuff was dreamed up by Christians. | 这些东西都是基督徒凭空幻想出来的 |
[21:59] | “Dreamed up”? | “凭空幻想”? |
[22:06] | Now you said Wicca is an ancient belief. | 你说巫术是一种古老的信仰 |
[22:08] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:09] | But I’m confused. | 但是我有些困惑 |
[22:10] | Wasn’t Wicca made up in England in the 1950s? | 巫术不是于19世纪50年代 在英格兰制造出来的么? |
[22:13] | It wasn’t made up. | 它并不是制造出来的 |
[22:15] | It came about after England finally repealed | 它出现在1951年 |
[22:18] | the last of its witchcraft laws in 1951. | 在英国废除了最后一部巫术法案之后 |
[22:21] | But it’s simply a modern | 但它可是看作是一种古老信仰 |
[22:23] | version of an old belief system. | 的现代版本 |
[22:25] | Witchcraft laws? | 巫术法案? |
[22:26] | Laws created in England and Europe | 巫术法案源于英国和欧洲地区 |
[22:29] | during what are called the burning times. | 在火刑时期产生 (一个大规模用火烧死女巫的时期) |
[22:31] | It started in about 1480 and | 始于1480年前后 |
[22:33] | went on for hundreds of years. | 持续了数百年 |
[22:35] | Tens of thousands of innocent | 数以万计的无辜民众 |
[22:37] | people were burned at the stake | 被烧死在火刑架上 |
[22:39] | – Because of these laws. – Burned by whom? | – 基于这些法案 – 被什么人烧死? |
[22:42] | Well, the Christians. | 基督教徒 |
[22:51] | You said you’d leave out the attacks. | 你说好我们不攻击对方的 |
[22:53] | – She didn’t attack you. – Sam, Bob, please. | – 她没有攻击你 – Sam Bob 别说了 |
[22:55] | They’re making a mockery of our religion. | 他们在嘲笑我们的信仰 |
[22:57] | I did no such thing, | 我没有做这样的事 |
[22:59] | What? | 什么? |
[23:01] | This is why we came to you. | 这就是为什么我们来找你 |
[23:02] | This is what we were talking about. | 这也就是我们担心的事情 |
[23:03] | Wait a second. | 等等 |
[23:03] | You saw Denise behind our backs? | 你背着我们和Denise 见面? |
[23:05] | It wasn’t behind your back. | 我们没有做什么见不得人的事 |
[23:06] | Oh, so then you’re a hypocrite. | 噢 原来你们都是小人啊 |
[23:08] | Hey, hey, hey. | 好了 好了 |
[23:08] | I didn’t know I was dealing with a hypocrite, that’s all. | 我现在才知道原来我一直在和小人共事 |
[23:10] | Hey! | 够了! |
[23:11] | Don’t push me. | 别碰我 |
[23:12] | Well, what are you gonna do, turn me into a toad? | 你能怎么样?把我变成癞蛤蟆? |
[23:13] | – All right! – We don’t do hexes! | – 够了! – 我们不需要用魔法! |
[23:16] | We throw punches occasionally. | 对付你拳头就够了 |
[23:18] | All right, that’s enough. | 好了 够了 |
[23:30] | I think I know where you can put your broomstick. | 我想我知道你把扫帚藏哪了 (――b) (历史上女巫常被诬蔑成邪恶淫荡的人) |
[23:35] | I told private Elliot exactly what | 在二等兵Elliot应征当天我清楚地告诉过他 |
[23:38] | he’d be getting into when he signed up. | 他会面临的各种情况 |
[23:40] | I answered all of his questions. | 我回答了他提出的所有问题 |
[23:41] | Did you ever lie or mislead private Elliot | 当他走进你的征兵办公室后 |
[23:44] | when he came into your recruitment office? | 你是否曾经欺骗或是误导过他? |
[23:47] | No, sir. | 没有 先生 |
[23:48] | We went over his service contract | 我们一起审阅了合同 |
[23:49] | together, and explained each provision completely. | 而且把合同上的条款逐条的解释给他听 |
[23:52] | I may have emphasized the positive, | 我也许强调过参军的好处 |
[23:54] | but I never lied to him. | 但是绝对没有半句谎言 |
[23:56] | You told private Elliot that he’d be | 你是否曾告知二等兵Elliot 除了装载炮弹外 |
[23:58] | doing things other than cannon loading? | 他可能会做另外的一些工作? |
[23:59] | Of course. I explained all the contingencies to him. | 当然 我向他解释了可能会发生的各种情况 |
[24:03] | I told him the same thing I tell all recruits. | 我对他说了对每个来应征的人 都说的同样的话 |
[24:05] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[24:06] | This man Mr. Dewey, seated in the second row, | 这位坐在第二行的Dewey先生 |
[24:10] | went to your recruiting office yesterday at our direction. | 昨天在我们的指导下去了你的征兵办公室 |
[24:12] | Do you remember speaking with him, sir? | 你记得和他说过话吗? |
[24:13] | Objection! | 反对! |
[24:14] | Mr. Shore? What are you doing here. | Shore先生? 你在干什么 |
[24:17] | impeachment, your honor. | 提出疑问 法官阁下 |
[24:18] | Sergeant Hendler articulated that he | Hendler军士 很明确地说 |
[24:19] | tells the same thing to all recruits. | 他对每个来应征的人都说同样的话 |
[24:21] | Mr. Dewey is one of those all. | Dewey先生是其中之一 |
[24:25] | I will allow it. | 反对无效 |
[24:27] | But I have my eye on you. | 但是别玩什么花样 |
[24:29] | Again, sergeant, | 那么军士 我再问一遍 |
[24:31] | do you remember having a conversation with this young man? | 你记得和他说过话吗? |
[24:35] | – Vaguely. – Vaguely? | – 有点印象? – 有点印象? |
[24:36] | You told him the national guard | 你告诉他国民警卫队将会为他 |
[24:38] | could train him in sound mixing. | 提供关于混音的培训 |
[24:40] | We offer a wide spectrum of training possibilities. | 我们提供很多技能培训课程 |
[24:43] | Isn’t it a fact that you never told | 事实上 你并没有告诉Dewey先生 |
[24:45] | Mr. Dewey he’d have to do anything else? | 他需要做其他工作 |
[24:48] | You also told him he’d probably never see combat. | 你同时也告知他 他将不会参与战斗 |
[24:50] | I believe my words were | 我想我的话应该是 |
[24:51] | “hopefully, he’d never see combat”. | “希望他将不会参与战斗” |
[24:53] | And if Mr. Dewey says he | 那么如果Dewey先生说 |
[24:54] | never heard the word “hopefully,” | 他从来没有听见”希望”这个词 |
[24:56] | would he be lying or mistaken? | 会是他在撒谎或者弄错了吗? |
[24:57] | Because he’s willing to take a polygraph. | 他愿意接受说谎测试 |
[24:58] | – Objection. – Sustained. | – 反对 – 反对有效 |
[25:00] | You also mentioned to him something | 你同时也想他提到了一项 |
[25:02] | about a “Try one” program. | “体验一年”计划 |
[25:03] | What’s that? | 那是什么? |
[25:04] | Try one is a 1-year trial program. | 那是指一年为期的体验项目 |
[25:06] | If you sign up, and you aren’t happy | 如果你参与这个项目 而在你一年役期结束后 |
[25:08] | at the end of your 1-year contract, | 你并不满意 |
[25:09] | then you can leave without | 你可以随时离开 |
[25:11] | officially enlisting in the national guard. | 不再列入国防警卫队的编制当中 |
[25:13] | And that’s what private Elliot | 而二等兵 Elliot |
[25:14] | signed up for, correct? | 参加了这个项目 对吗? |
[25:15] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[25:16] | See, this is what confuses me. | 看 这就是我不明白的地方 |
[25:18] | Private Elliot served out his year, | 二等兵Elliot 服完了他的役期 |
[25:20] | fulfilled his contract and clearly wasn’t happy. | 履行了他的合同义务 而且很明显他不满意 |
[25:23] | Why didn’t he just come home? | 为什么他不能回家了事? |
[25:25] | Private Elliot was kept in | 根据”停止减员”程序 |
[25:26] | Iraq under the stop loss program. | 他被留在伊拉克 |
[25:28] | In case you haven’t noticed, we’re at war. | 我不得不提醒你 我们正处于战争时期 |
[25:30] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:30] | Tell me, sergeant, under this stop loss program, | 告诉我 军士 根据这个”停止减员”程序 |
[25:33] | how much longer had the military planned | 二等兵Elliot 还需要再 |
[25:36] | to keep private Elliot in the service? | 服多长时间的兵役? |
[25:38] | Private Elliot’s obligation was extended to 2031. | 二等兵Elliot的役期延长到2031年 |
[25:47] | 26 years. | 共26年 |
[25:49] | Did you tell either Mr. Elliot or | 你是否告知Elliot先生或者 |
[25:52] | Mr. Dewey about these contingencies? | Dewey先生会发生这种情况? |
[25:55] | We’re at war, Mr. Shore. | 我们现在处于战争当中 Shore先生 |
[25:57] | We need soldiers. | 我们需要士兵 |
[25:59] | Yes. According to our generals and military advisors, | 没错 根据我们的军事顾问的资料 |
[26:02] | we need a lot more than the 140,000 currently over there. | 我们还需要在那儿投放超过14万的士兵 |
[26:04] | Why are we not sending more? | 为什么我们不继续派兵呢? |
[26:12] | Are we trying to win this war or not, sergeant? | 我们到底想不想要打赢这场战争 军士? |
[26:37] | Your honor, this is clearly a | 法官阁下 这完全是噱头 |
[26:39] | stunt. He orchestrated this. | 他编排了这一场戏 |
[26:40] | These are the children who will be affected. | 他们和这个案子有着莫大的关系 |
[26:42] | That doesn’t mean you parade them around like exhibits. | 那也不意味着你要把他们都带来 像开展览会一样 |
[26:44] | Counsel, this has already taken up enough time. | 辩护律师 这个案子已经占用了许多时间 |
[26:46] | Let’s just get through this. Step back. | 让我们将它处理了吧 请归位 |
[27:01] | Halloween is a secular holiday | 万圣节是一个传统节日 |
[27:03] | and as you can see, a fun one. | 而且如你所见 亦是一个有趣的节日 |
[27:06] | Now the witch at the center of this | 这个案子的被告 |
[27:08] | case, played with gusto by Mrs. Berleth, | 由Berleth女士饰演的女巫 |
[27:10] | is not a symbol of satanism | 并不是魔鬼的象征 |
[27:12] | and in no way defames the religion of the Wiccans. | 也没有损害到巫师的宗教形象 |
[27:15] | The whole pageant, indeed, all of | 整个万圣节庆典 事实上 |
[27:17] | Halloween everywhere is just make-believe. | 万圣节的所有东西都是虚构的 |
[27:19] | And to claim that this somehow | 因此 说这是所谓的 |
[27:21] | rises to the level of persecution | 对信仰的冒犯 |
[27:23] | is not only laughable but offensive. | 不仅可笑而且令人愤怒 |
[27:25] | Persecution is an issue, | 我们的主题就是关于谁才是受害者 |
[27:27] | which, to be perfectly frank, | 坦白的说 |
[27:28] | neither of these suburban parents | 这些偏激的家长 |
[27:29] | nor their high-priced attorneys know anything about. | 和他们的高价律师都没有意识到这点 |
[27:31] | And it’s insulting to | 因此 在万圣节这个时候 用这个案子 |
[27:32] | groups who have been persecuted | 一而再地对实际上被冒犯的人提出控诉 |
[27:34] | to raise that issue at this time in this case. | 实在是很无礼的事 |
[27:55] | The First Amendment says we | 宪法第一修正案指出 |
[27:57] | shouldn’t discriminate against any group | 每种群体的信仰都应该受到保护 |
[28:00] | on the basis of region. It’s a nice theory. | 我认为说得很对 |
[28:02] | But the truth is the law is rarely | 但是事实上 |
[28:05] | applied to protect the Christian faith, | 法律并没有很好的保护基督教徒的权力 |
[28:07] | because being in the majority, | 也许由于他们处于强势 |
[28:10] | well, I guess we feel they can take it. | 所以我猜我们都认为他们能够很好地保护自己 |
[28:12] | And if the religion is too far out there, | 反过来一些很偏门的信仰 |
[28:15] | Chriristian scientists? Sure. | 例如信奉基督教的科学家? 当然受到保护 |
[28:18] | Scientologists? Maybe. | 基督教科学派? 可能吧 |
[28:20] | Wiccans? Well, at what point | 巫师? 这里我不禁要问 |
[28:23] | does a religion become silly enough | 是不是当人们认为一种信仰很荒谬的时候 |
[28:26] | that it’s okay to make fun of them? | 就可以随意对其进行取笑? |
[28:29] | And who decides? | 而由谁来决定其是否荒谬? |
[28:31] | What this case is really about is tolerance. | 这个案子事实上是在探讨宽容 |
[28:34] | Whether it’s Hindus attacking | 无论是印度教在攻击犹太教 |
[28:36] | Jews or Muslims against Catholics, | 或是穆斯林在反对基督教 |
[28:39] | Christians fighting with Wiccans, | 又或者基督教徒批驳巫师 |
[28:42] | the aim of the law is tolerance. | 法律的出发点都是宽容 |
[28:45] | And I could be wrong but, | 也许我是错的 |
[28:47] | I don’t think we ever ratified | 但是我不认为我们可以 冠”娱乐”之名 |
[28:49] | persecution under the heading of “fun”. | 而行亵渎之事 |
[28:53] | Let me read you something by Martin Niemoeller, | 让我在这里引述Martin Niemoeller |
[28:57] | a German pastor who opposed the Nazis. | 一位德国反对纳粹的新教牧师的话 |
[29:00] | “In Germany, they came first for the communists,” | “在德国 起初他们追杀共产党人” |
[29:03] | “and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a communist. | “我没有说话 因为我不是共产党” |
[29:07] | “Then they came for the Jews,” | “接着他们追杀犹太人” |
[29:08] | “and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew”. | “我没有说话 因为我不是犹太人” |
[29:12] | “Then they came for the trade unionists,” | “然后他们追杀商会会员” |
[29:15] | “and I didn’t speak up | “我没有说话 |
[29:17] | because I wasn’t a trade unionist”. | 因为我不是商会会员” |
[29:19] | “Then they came for the Catholics, | “后来他们追杀基督教徒 |
[29:21] | “and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant”. | 我还是没有说话 因为我是新教徒” |
[29:25] | “Then they came for me,” | “最后他们直奔我而来” |
[29:27] | “and by that time, there | “而这时候 |
[29:30] | was no one left to speak up”. | 已经没有人能够为我说话了” (出自波士顿犹太人大屠杀纪念碑碑文) |
[29:46] | In war, any war, there are casualties. | 在战争中 任何战争 都避免不了有伤亡 |
[29:50] | For the family of a victim | 对于一个烈士的家属来说 |
[29:53] | to sue the army for such a | 因此而控诉军队 |
[29:55] | casualty is not only patently ridiculous, | 不仅是十分可笑的 |
[29:57] | it’s an insult. | 而且是一种侮辱 |
[29:59] | First, it offends the memory | 首先 它破坏了 |
[30:01] | of the soldier who gave his life | 为国捐躯的士兵的 |
[30:03] | to defend his country. | 荣誉感 |
[30:05] | Worse, it’s an attack on patriotism and the U.S. army itself. | 更有甚者 这是对爱国主义和军队本身的攻击 |
[30:09] | He enlisted. He was trained in combat. | 他应征入伍 他受过战斗训练 |
[30:12] | He assumed the risks of combat. | 他清楚战争的风险 |
[30:15] | This lawsuit merely represents a flamboyant attempt | 这场官司仅仅是试图公然宣扬反战情绪 |
[30:19] | to showcase antiwar sentiment. It is wrong. It is baseless. | 它不分是非 它没有根据 |
[30:23] | And it’s an affront to every soldier, to every veteran | 这是对每一个为了 |
[30:26] | who has put himself on the line to | 保卫祖国而开赴前线 |
[30:28] | defend the United states of America. | 特别是对那些因此牺牲的 |
[30:30] | Especially, primarily, the ones | 士兵和退伍军人 |
[30:34] | who have given their lives to do so. | 的公然侮辱 |
[30:46] | First, this is hardly about antiwar sentiments. | 首先 这不是反战情绪 |
[30:49] | Private Elliot was for the war. | 二等兵Elliot 是支持战争的 |
[30:51] | Personally, I was against it. Then I was for it. | 而我个人 我曾反对它 然后支持它 |
[30:53] | Then I was against it again. But that’s just me. | 然后又反对它 但是这只是我个人行为而已 |
[30:56] | I’m a flip-flopper. | 我是墙头草 |
[30:58] | But whether one is for or against the occupation, | 但是无论支不支持这场战斗 |
[31:00] | and let’s assume, judging from your tie, one is, | 根据你的领带 让我们假设支持好了 |
[31:02] | that does not exempt the military from | 都不能因此而默许军方 |
[31:05] | a duty to be honest with its soldiers. | 向他们的士兵们撒谎 |
[31:07] | Private Elliot was told he’d serve a year. | 二等兵Elliot 被告知他只需服一年兵役 |
[31:09] | He was told he wouldn’t see combat. | 他被告知他不会参加战斗 |
[31:11] | Okay, unexpected stuff happens. | 好吧 尽管由于不可预期的因素 |
[31:13] | He did see combat. Fine. | 他参与了战斗 没有关系 |
[31:14] | But he was sent into combat with insufficient backup. | 但是他在战争中得不到有效的支援 |
[31:18] | He was sent in to perform duties | 他被派往从事 |
[31:20] | for which he was never, ever trained. | 一项他没有接受过培训的工作 |
[31:22] | He wasn’t given the most basic of equipment. | 他得不到最基本的补给 |
[31:24] | And then after his tour of duty was finally up, | 而他尽了自己的义务后 |
[31:27] | they wouldn’t let him leave. | 他们不让他离开 |
[31:28] | He never assumed those risks by enlisting. | 他并不知道要承担这种风险 |
[31:34] | Over-extended, under-equipped, | 过度延长役期 得不到良好的装备 |
[31:36] | non-trained. He never signed up for that. | 没有接受过训练 这些都超出了他的预期 |
[31:39] | And now he’s dead. | 而他现在牺牲了 |
[31:41] | And aside from his sister, nobody seems to care. | 除了他的姐姐 没有人在意 |
[31:45] | We talk about honoring the troops. | 我们常说要向我们的士兵表示敬意 |
[31:47] | How about we honor them by | 难道这就是对我们牺牲的士兵 |
[31:49] | giving a damn when they’re killed? | 表示敬意的方式? |
[31:51] | Our kids are dying over there. | 我们的孩子在那里牺牲了 |
[31:53] | And this country, the people, the media, | 而他们的祖国 他们的同胞 还有媒体 |
[31:56] | we all chug along like nothing is wrong. | 我们就像什么都没有发生过一样 |
[31:59] | We’ll spend a month obsessing about Terry Schiavo, | 我们可以花上一个月的功夫来讨论谢维讼案 (关于是否该让一个植物人安乐死的案子) |
[32:02] | but dare we show a body of a fallen soldier? | 可是我们却不敢放出士兵的遗体的画面? |
[32:05] | The most watched cable news station | 最多人收看的有线电视台 |
[32:08] | will spend an hour a night | 可以每晚花上一个小时时间 |
[32:10] | on a missing girl in Aruba. | 来关注一个阿鲁巴岛上失踪女童 (阿鲁巴岛是位于拉丁美洲 安的列斯群岛中的大岛) |
[32:12] | But God forbid we pay any attention | 但是我们却从来不关心 |
[32:15] | when kids like private Elliot, killed in action… | 像二等兵Elliot这样的孩子在战争中被杀害… |
[32:17] | – You’re off the point. – I’m not off the point. | – 你离题了 – 我没离题 |
[32:20] | We’ve had 2,000 American trees | 我们有2,000 幼苗 |
[32:22] | fall in that forest over there, | 在那里的战火中倒下 |
[32:25] | and we don’t even know it, not really. | 而我们甚至都不知道 不一定知道 |
[32:28] | But maybe we don’t want to know | 也许我们根本就不想知道 |
[32:30] | about our children dying. | 我们的孩子牺牲了 |
[32:31] | So lucky for us, this war isn’t really being televised. | 所以我们应该庆幸这场战争并没有被搬到荧幕上 |
[32:34] | We’re not seeing images of soldiers | 我们看不到士兵们死在 |
[32:36] | dying in the arms of their comrades, | 他们队友怀里的画面 |
[32:38] | being blown apart in the streets of Baghdad. | 在巴格达的街头被炸飞 |
[32:40] | But they are by the thousands. | 这样的事情有上千起 |
[32:43] | And all the American public wants to concern itself with | 而所有的美国民众却在关心 |
[32:45] | is whether Brad and Angelina really are a couple. | 布拉德彼特和安吉丽娜茱丽是否结婚了 |
[32:48] | At least with Vietnam, we all watched, and we all got angry. | 至少在越南战争的时候 我们都会关心 都会感到愤怒 |
[32:51] | What does this have to do with the death of private Elliot? | 这到底和二等兵Elliot的死有什么关系? |
[32:54] | Private Elliot is dead, in part, | 二等兵Elliot 的死 部分是由于 |
[32:56] | because we have a people and a government in denial. | 我们民众和政府的漠视 |
[33:00] | We currently have no strategy to fight this war. | 我们没有为这场战争制定任何策略 |
[33:03] | We have no timetable for getting out. | 我们也没有撤军时间表 |
[33:05] | Some of these troops could be extended 20-plus years. | 某些士兵可能要在那里呆上二十几年 |
[33:07] | Their mothers and fathers have to spring for body armor | 他们的父母必须要给他们送去防弹衣 |
[33:10] | because the army doesn’t, and they’re getting killed! | 因为军队不提供 然后他们被杀害了! |
[33:12] | And we, as a nation in denial, are letting them. | 而我们 我们的国家就像旁观者 任由其为之 |
[33:16] | We simply don’t seem to care. Well, she does. | 我们根本就不在意 当然 除了她 |
[33:20] | She’s in this courtroom honoring one dead soldier. | 她现在就在这个法庭里面 缅怀着一位死去的士兵 |
[33:29] | That’s a start. | 这只是开始 |
[33:59] | We’re dealing here with a pageant in a public school. | 我们在这里讨论的是公立学校里的万圣节庆典 |
[34:02] | A public school can’t promote the exercise of any religion, | 作为公立学校 不能够宣扬任何宗教信仰 |
[34:07] | and it can’t denigrate the followers of any religion. | 但是它也不能够诋毁任何信仰的信徒 |
[34:11] | No one should take that lightly. And indeed, | 没有人可以不把这当回事 而确实 |
[34:16] | Christians, witches and other groups | 基督教徒 巫师 和其他团体 |
[34:18] | have been persecuted over the years, | 近些年来都受到压迫 |
[34:21] | and no one should take persecution lightly. | 而这应该引起我们的重视 |
[34:24] | But… | 但是… |
[34:26] | we should take Halloween lightly. | 我们不应该把万圣节看得太严肃 |
[34:30] | As the defense pointed out, | 正如被告律师所说 |
[34:32] | Halloween is a secular holiday. | 万圣节是一个传统节日 |
[34:34] | But more importantly, it’s a silly holiday. | 而且重要的是 它是仅仅是一个节日 |
[34:37] | Children don’t see a witch as a symbol of any sort. | 孩子们并不会把里面的女巫当作是某种象征 |
[34:42] | A witch is just something to enjoy being afraid of. | 女巫只是一个能令他们尽情尖叫的角色 |
[34:47] | Motion by the plaintiffs is denied. | 原告的控诉被驳回 |
[34:49] | The Halloween pageant will go on as it always has. | 万圣节庆典可以继续进行 |
[34:53] | And I advise both parties to lighten up | 同时我建议大家都放轻松点 |
[34:56] | and remember what Halloween really is all about. | 别忘了万圣节的真正意义 |
[35:00] | The candy. Court adjourned. | 是糖果 休庭 |
[35:06] | – Sorry. – Oh, it’s okay. | – 我很抱歉 – 没有关系 |
[35:07] | – We forgive you. – I thought you might. | – 我们能理解 – 我想你们会的 |
[35:11] | – Thank you both. – Bye. | – 谢谢你们 – 再见 |
[35:14] | – I’m sorry. – Thank you. | – 我很抱歉 – 谢谢你 |
[35:18] | Listen, tonight’s Samhain, | 今晚的Samhain |
[35:21] | that’s what we call Halloween. | 这是我们对万圣节的称呼 |
[35:24] | There’s a women’s circle after the celebration. | 在庆祝完后将会有一个女人的小集会 |
[35:27] | It’s a full moon. | 今晚是满月 |
[35:28] | It’s the perfect time for letting the | 正是利用神的能量进行治疗和恢复 |
[35:30] | energy of the goddess heal and restore you. | 的最好时机 |
[35:35] | You need it. I’ll fax you directions. | 很适合你 我会传真地址给你 |
[35:39] | Thank you so much. | 非常感谢你 |
[35:46] | Do I strike you as being out of harmony? | 你觉得我现在很不和谐吗? |
[35:57] | All rise! | 请起立! |
[36:12] | This war is a disaster. | 战争是一场灾难 |
[36:15] | It has been sold to America on a false premise. | 美国在错误的预期下发起了它 |
[36:19] | The government has been repeatedly told | 政府不断地被高级军事顾问 |
[36:21] | by its most senior military advisors that it needs far more troops. | 告知 那儿需要更多的部队 |
[36:25] | The advisors have been ignored or in some cases even fired, | 这些顾问被忽视了 甚至有些被解雇了 |
[36:30] | and now we have what very much looks | 因此就形成了我们现在的局面 |
[36:33] | like the beginning of another Vietnam, | 就像另一场越南战争的开端 |
[36:36] | except, as Mr. Shore points out, | 除了 像Shore 先生所指出的 |
[36:40] | without the necessary outrage. | 并没有引起很大的关注 |
[36:44] | That said, like it or not, we are at war. | 无论如何 我们都处于战争之中 |
[36:48] | And the one thing that keeps the | 而其中一样让军队在战时能够正常运作 |
[36:51] | military functioning in war is its hierarchy. | 的就是它所拥有的权威 |
[36:55] | Orders are given, orders followed. | 令行禁止 |
[36:57] | That’s why congress has granted the | 这也就是国会赋予 |
[37:00] | military immunity in lawsuits like this. | 军队诉讼豁免权的原因 |
[37:04] | Miss Elliot, I have the deepest | Elliot 小姐 我为你和你的弟弟 |
[37:07] | sympathy for you and for your brother. | 感到深切的同情 |
[37:11] | However… | 但是… |
[37:13] | I rule in favor of the government. | 我站在政府这一边 |
[37:16] | The motion to dismiss is granted. | 此案撤销 |
[37:28] | I hope at least somebody heard your screams. | 我希望至少有人听见了你的呼声 |
[37:31] | If not, then maybe they heard yours. Thank you. | 即使没有 他们也许听见了你的 谢谢你 |
[37:40] | Well… Bye. | 那么…再见 |
[37:44] | – Why? – I’m sorry? | – 为什么? – 什么? |
[37:49] | Why does it have to be good-bye? | 那么我们是否可以再见呢? |
[38:06] | We lost, if it’s any consolation. | 我们输了 如果这让你感到好点的话 |
[38:08] | It isn’t. | 并没有 |
[38:11] | Anybody who truly loves this country, Denny, | 任何一个真正爱着这个国家的人 Denny |
[38:13] | must at least try to | 都必须至少 |
[38:15] | understand the awful truth over there. | 对国家丑陋的一面有所了解 |
[38:17] | One of the reasons it’s happening over there | 那里发生那样的事是为了 |
[38:19] | Is so it won’t happen here. | 保证这里不会发生同样的事 |
[38:21] | I’m afraid I don’t agree with you, Denny. | 我想我不赞同你的观点 Denny |
[38:23] | But if Americans can continue to | 但是如果我们可以一直从 |
[38:26] | nurture the expression of differing opinions, | 不同的声音中得到启发 |
[38:28] | what’s happening over there will never happen here. | 那里发生的事就决不会发生在我们身边 |
[39:00] | I don’t, I don’t think | 我 我不认为 |
[39:02] | people recognize our costumes. | 人们知道我们在扮什么角色 |
[39:04] | Maybe we should use the accents. | 也许我们要使用不同的口音 |
[39:15] | I give you my word. I’m not trying to be disrespectful. | 我向你保证 我不会评论你的穿着 |
[39:17] | I just wanted to feel… hot. | 我只是想要说…你很正点 |
[39:37] | Tried it on. | 试穿了一下 |
[39:39] | Looked good. Kept it on. | 看上去不错 懒得脱下来了 |
[39:41] | – Doesn’t mean I forgive you. – Got it. | – 这不表示我原谅你了 – 明白 |
[39:44] | Denny? You look pretty in pink. | Denny 你穿粉红色真可爱 |
[39:48] | – Not having sex with you. – Just the same. | – 我不会和你上床的 – 什么都好 |
[39:59] | What exactly is our costume again? | 你再说一次我们的装扮叫啥? |
[40:01] | It’s, um, | 这叫做 呃 |
[40:03] | “I look good in white tails”. | “我穿白色燕尾服很好看” |
[40:05] | Ah. Right. | 噢 不错 |
[40:10] | Thank you. Did I say that? | 谢谢你 我有对你说过这句话吗? |
[40:12] | To Alan Shore you did. | 你对Alan Shore 说过 |
[40:15] | – Nothing for you? – No. | – 什么都没对你说? – 没有 |
[40:44] | What are you thinking about? | 你在想什么? |
[40:49] | It’s not a trick question. | 这不是一个陷阱 |
[40:54] | Can I have a solitary, pensive moment, | 难道我就不能有一点私人空间 |
[40:58] | keep a thought to myself? | 保留一点自己的想法? |
[41:00] | You forgot what you were thinking. | 你忘了你在想什么 |
[41:08] | I don’t presume to know whether | 我并不想假定这场仗 |
[41:10] | this is a good war or not, Denny. | 到底是好是坏Denny |
[41:11] | But there can be no dispute it’s a complex one, | 但是毫无疑问这是一场复杂的战争 |
[41:14] | one that we as a citizenry, as patriots, | 一场我们作为公民 作为爱国者 |
[41:18] | need to be talking about. | 必须要了解的战争 |
[41:20] | Here’s all you need to know, put me in charge. | 你只需了解的东西是 让我来打这场仗(官司) |
[41:24] | – I’ll win the damn thing. – No doubt. | – 我赢定了 – 那当然 |
[41:28] | Do you think the army | 你认为军方会不会 |
[41:29] | would let two flamingos enlist? | 让两只火烈鸟当兵? |
[41:31] | Don’t ask, don’t tell. | 你不问没人会回答 |
[41:39] | Most of the Cranes in my family were flamingos. | 我们Crane家族中大部分都属于火烈鸟 (Crane原意为鹤科鸟类) |
[41:42] | Indeed. | 确实是的 |