时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Boston legal | |
[00:03] | Hey, listen, I think you remember reverend Diddum. | 还记得Diddum神父吧 |
[00:06] | Well, it turns out the reverend is also a lawyer. | 原来神父也是位律师 |
[00:08] | I’ve decided to let him handle my divorce. | 我已决定让他来办理我的离婚 |
[00:11] | Instead of targeting the | 避开那个前夫 |
[00:11] | ex-husband, we go after the reverend. | 我们转移目标到神父身上 |
[00:13] | The reverend? | 神父 |
[00:14] | Three sexual harassment complaints | 身负三件性骚扰指控 |
[00:16] | The man has a certain weakness. | 那个人有弱点 |
[00:19] | Did you commit this act | 你犯下这桩罪行 |
[00:21] | because he was evil or because you are? | 是因为他有害于社会还是你有害呢 |
[00:26] | Because he was. | 因为他有害 |
[00:30] | I want Alan Shore. | 我想见AlanShore |
[00:39] | I’d like to know how a United | 我想知道为何 |
[00:40] | States congressman could be held liable | 一位美国国会议员会因为一件 |
[00:42] | for an official act of congressional | 国会事务的公务行为被追究责任 |
[00:44] | business for which he enjoys immunity? | 而对此他享有豁免权 |
[00:45] | You can be held liable because you’ve been sued | 你被追究责任是因为 |
[00:47] | under traditional state tort law | 触犯了传统的州立民事侵权法而被指控 |
[00:49] | for which you enjoy no immunity. | 对此你不享有豁免权 |
[00:53] | I want Denny Crane. | 我想见Denny Crane |
[00:55] | Uh, you don’t want Denny Crane. | 你不需要Denny Crane |
[00:58] | Denise is one of our top… | Denise是我们最优秀的 |
[01:01] | I’m entitled to the top. | 我要最好的 |
[01:04] | Is there a reason I’m not getting Denny? | 有什么理由不让我请Denny的吗 |
[01:08] | Denny | Denny… |
[01:10] | Denny | Denny has, uh… |
[01:12] | Mad cow disease. | 得疯牛病了 |
[01:14] | I just saw him on television | 我刚才电视上还看到他了 |
[01:16] | in Kelly Nolan’s murder trial. | 在KellyNolan的谋杀案里 |
[01:17] | He was at the defense table for effect, Raymond. | 他在被告席上充门面呢 Raymond |
[01:20] | He’s not capable of any complex litigation. | 他现在担负不了任何复杂的诉讼 |
[01:27] | I knew you were there, Denny. | 我知道你在这儿 Denny |
[01:30] | Did you? | 你在吗 |
[01:31] | Raymond Jacobs | Raymond Jacobs. |
[01:33] | You handled my first divorce 15 years ago. | 你15年前受理过我的首起离婚案 |
[01:37] | – My wife’s name was Lois? – I remember. | -我的妻子叫Lois -我记得 |
[01:39] | Why wouldn’t you? You slept with her. | 怎么不记得呢 你和她上床了 |
[01:41] | Only after the divorce was final. | 离婚完结后才干的 |
[01:43] | Denny May I ask, Denny, how do you feel about gun control? | 请问你怎么看待枪支控制的 |
[01:45] | For communists. | 支持共产党 |
[01:46] | What about banning assault | 禁止私人持有攻击性武器 |
[01:48] | weapons in the private sector? | 你怎么看呢 |
[01:49] | As soon as you say it’s okay to | 一旦你限制攻击性武器 |
[01:51] | ban assault weapons, my friend, | 我的朋友 |
[01:52] | even in the private sector, | 甚至是私人部门 |
[01:53] | you make it easier to take guns away from hunting, | 你就让限制枪支狩猎比 |
[01:55] | then personal protection. | 个人保护变得更容易了 |
[01:57] | Soon the military and the | 很快 军队和 |
[01:58] | police are without firearms. | 警察就将不再佩戴弹药 |
[02:00] | By banning assault weapons in the private sector, | 限制私人持有攻击性武器后 |
[02:03] | the military and the police would lose their guns? | 军队和警察会失去他们的枪支 |
[02:05] | And their dominoes. | 多米诺骨牌效应 |
[02:07] | It’s a whole theory. | 这是一个道理 |
[02:09] | She’s a Liberal. Can’t even hunt. | 她是个自由主义者 甚至连打猎都不会 |
[02:26] | You set? | 你定啦 |
[02:27] | Set? | 定了 |
[02:29] | You sure you don’t need a second chair? | 你确定不需要一个副手 |
[02:30] | This is a murder trial. | 这可是个谋杀案 |
[02:31] | I want Catherine to be the underdog. An army of lawyers would subvert that. | 我想让Catherine得到同情票 一大帮律师只会帮倒忙 |
[02:36] | You okay? | 你还好吧 |
[02:38] | Tara quit. | Tara辞职了 |
[02:41] | What do you mean, she quit? | 你说什么 她辞职了 |
[02:43] | She’s gone. | 她走了 |
[02:45] | – She quit the firm? – She quit me, actually. | -她离开公司了 -她离开我了 事实上是 |
[02:48] | But she’s left the firm as well. | 但是她也离开公司了 |
[02:55] | Alan, do you have the | Alan 你能 |
[02:57] | necessary focus to try this case? | 集中精力办理这个案件吗 |
[03:04] | I do. | 我能 |
[03:49] | Coroner’s report showed he’d | Coroner的报告显示 |
[03:50] | been struck twice behind the head, | 他曾两次被击中头部 |
[03:53] | the second blow being fatal. | 第二击是致命的 |
[03:55] | And was there any sign of a struggle, detective? | 有挣扎的痕迹吗 侦探先生 |
[03:58] | No. | 没有 |
[03:59] | Any evidence to suggest that | 有证据显示 |
[04:01] | the victim had made any | 被害者曾 |
[04:02] | threatening movement toward the defendant? | 对被告者有威胁性举动吗 |
[04:04] | No. | 没有 |
[04:05] | And in the statement | 在被告对您做的 |
[04:06] | made to you by the defendant, | 陈词中 |
[04:07] | did she say the victim was threatening her? | 她有说过受害者在威胁她吗 |
[04:10] | She did not say that she was in any imminent danger | 她没有说当她攻击他时 |
[04:13] | at the time she hit him. | 曾面临任何迫在眉睫的危险 |
[04:14] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 先生 |
[04:17] | Your witness. | 轮到你了 |
[04:18] | I have nothing. | 我没话说 |
[04:19] | It appears your exhaustive testimony | 看起来你详尽的证词 |
[04:22] | covered everything. You left nothing out. | 已经包含一切了 你没任何遗漏 |
[04:25] | Is that correct, detective? | 这是正确的吗 侦探先生 |
[04:27] | Pretty much. | 非常正确 |
[04:30] | Thank you, detective, for | 谢谢你 侦探先生 |
[04:31] | your fine commitment to detail. | 谢谢你对细节的美好承诺 |
[04:41] | Okay. The witness may step down. | 好的 证人可以下台了 |
[04:42] | Actually, one thing you pretty much left out. | 事实上 有一件事情遗漏了 |
[04:46] | No harm. We can cover it now. | 没关系 我们可以现在弥补 |
[04:47] | Mr. Ferrion had previously killed two people. | Ferrion先生曾经杀害过两个人 |
[04:51] | He whacked both his mother and a neighbor? | 他杀了他妈妈和一个邻居 |
[04:55] | – Allegedly. | -涉嫌谋杀 -涉嫌谋杀 – Allegedly. |
[04:57] | Isn’t it pretty much the opinion | 他犯下了那些谋杀案 |
[05:00] | of the Boston police department | 那不正是 |
[05:02] | that he committed these murders? | Boston警察局的观点吗 |
[05:04] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[05:06] | I’m sure you pretty much meant to | 我确信你很想 |
[05:08] | include that in your testimony but… | 将这些纳入你的证词 但是 |
[05:10] | forgot. | 忘了吧 |
[05:16] | Mrs. Piper came to you a week before | Piper太太在 |
[05:20] | Mr. Ferrion was killed, didn’t she? | Ferrion先生被杀一周前曾找过你 不是吗 |
[05:23] | She did. | 她的确来过 |
[05:24] | She told you she feared | 她告诉你她害怕 |
[05:26] | Mr. Ferrion would kill again. | Ferrion先生会再次杀人 |
[05:28] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:29] | Relayed to you Bernard’s | 向您报告了 |
[05:31] | comments about how the next time, | Bernard关于下次杀人的评论 |
[05:32] | he’d be sure to leave little | 他肯定会留下一些小线索 |
[05:35] | clues like the B.T.K. killer. | 就像B.T.K杀手一样 |
[05:37] | She tell you that, detective? | 她告诉了你这些 侦探先生 |
[05:39] | Yes | 是的 |
[05:40] | And after she told you all this, | 在她告诉你这些后 |
[05:42] | you did what, detective? | 你做了什么呢 侦探先生 |
[05:44] | I told her there wasn’t enough to make an arrest. | 我告诉她这不足以逮捕他 |
[05:46] | You sent her away. | 你把她送走了 |
[05:49] | Tell me, detective, | 告诉我 侦探先生 |
[05:51] | have you considered if you’d | 你想过如果你 |
[05:53] | heeded Catherine Piper’s warnings, | 留意了CatherinePiper的警告 |
[05:55] | Bernard Ferrion might still be alive? | BernardFerrion可能还会活在世上吗 |
[05:57] | Objection! | 抗议 |
[05:58] | Withdrawn. | 撤回 |
[05:59] | Moving forward a bit, Bernard Ferrion’s demise. | 再往前走 Bernard Ferrion的死亡 |
[06:02] | So you found him dead, | 你发现他死后 |
[06:04] | conducted Sherlock Holmesian | 开始了 Sherlock Holmesian式的调查 |
[06:06] | investigation, which led, at last, | 最终 |
[06:10] | to Catherine Piper’s doorstep? | 追查到了Catherine Piper的门口 |
[06:12] | No. | 没有 |
[06:14] | – She came to us. – Oh, she came to you! | -她来找我们的 -她来找了你们 |
[06:16] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:17] | Well, you certainly left that out, didn’t you? | 你确是遗漏了这个 不是吗 |
[06:19] | She didn’t come forth for a full week. | 她一个星期后才过来 |
[06:21] | Maybe Catherine hesitated | 也许Catherine犹豫了 |
[06:23] | because she feared being arrested. | 因为她害怕会被逮捕 |
[06:25] | Yet her conscience and sense of | 但是她的良知和道德感 |
[06:27] | morality eventually overcame her fear, | 最终战胜了她的恐惧 |
[06:29] | which, of course, the jury would know | 当然 陪审团会明白这种恐惧的 |
[06:31] | if you’d lived up to your | 只要你能履行你 |
[06:32] | oath to tell the whole truth. | 讲实话的誓言 |
[06:33] | – Objection! – Mr. Shore! | – 抗议 – Shore先生 |
[06:34] | What? What did I say? | 什么 我说了什么 |
[06:46] | I paid $2,000 to his campaign personally, | 我个人支付了2000美元支持他的竞选 |
[06:50] | and I contributed another $2 | 我还捐赠了200万美元 |
[06:52] | million to the Democratic national party | 给民主党 |
[06:54] | on the assumption | 以为 |
[06:55] | that this congressman, if | 那个国会议员 |
[06:57] | reelected, would support gun control. | 如果再次当选 会支持枪支控制 |
[07:00] | Well, certainly, Mr. Naughton, you realize that | 当然 Naughton先生 你认识到 |
[07:03] | you cannot buy votes on Capital Hill. | 你不能够在国会山买选票 |
[07:06] | Oh, please. | 拜托 |
[07:07] | There was never any quid | 任何一张选票里 |
[07:09] | pro quo on any specific vote. | 从来就没有公平交易 |
[07:11] | But, sir, in your complaint, | 但是 先生 在你的诉讼里 |
[07:12] | you cite his failure to | 你把他的失败归咎于 |
[07:14] | support the ban on assault weapons. | 支持对攻击性武器下禁令 |
[07:16] | The fraud was perpetrated on me | 在他的竞选连任时 |
[07:18] | during his reelection campaign. | 他给我下了个套 |
[07:20] | The two of us got together for dinner. | 我俩聚在一起吃饭 |
[07:22] | We shook hands. He looked me in the eye, | 我们握手 他看着我的眼睛说 |
[07:24] | and he told me that he would champion, | 他会拥护 |
[07:25] | not support, but champion the | 不仅是支持 但是拥护 |
[07:28] | renewal of the ban against assault weapons. | 关于攻击性武器禁令的续订 |
[07:30] | Then he goes off to | 然后他去了华盛顿 |
[07:31] | Washington, and the ban just lapses. | 禁令刚好过期了 |
[07:34] | Doesn’t even get brought up for a vote. | 甚至都没被提议投票 |
[07:36] | And, sir, the fact that this ban was not renewed, | 先生 禁令没能续订 |
[07:39] | how has it hurt you personally? | 这怎么伤害您个人啦 |
[07:43] | On January 2nd, | 在1月2日 |
[07:45] | my nephew was buying milk in a convenience store. | 我的侄子在一家便利店买牛奶 |
[07:49] | Two men came in to rob the store bearing AK-47s. | 两个带着AK-47s的男人过来抢劫铺子 |
[07:53] | Gunfire ensued. | 发生了枪击 |
[07:55] | My nephew was killed. | 我的侄子被杀害了 |
[07:59] | I am very sorry for your loss, sir. | 我很为您的损失感到难过 先生 |
[08:03] | Are you suggesting that | 你在暗示 |
[08:04] | because you contributed money to this | 如果你捐钱给了 |
[08:07] | congressman that you bought his vote? | 这个国会议员就可以买他的选票吗 |
[08:09] | There was no vote. | 没有选票 |
[08:12] | Instead, congress just let the ban | 相反 议员让禁令 |
[08:14] | lapse without so much as a discussion. | 没经什么讨论就自动过期了 |
[08:16] | Didn’t it lapse in part because | 让它自动过期不是因为 |
[08:18] | the legislators in favor of the ban | 支持这一禁令的立法者 |
[08:20] | realized the votes just weren’t there? | 认识到没什么人支持吗 |
[08:22] | When you secure a contribution based on a | 当你做出一个募捐是因为 |
[08:24] | policy you have no intention of honoring, | 一项你不打算执行的政策 |
[08:27] | that’s flat-out fraud. | 那就是赤裸裸的欺骗 |
[08:28] | My point is, congressman Jacobs | 我的论点是 Jacobs议员 |
[08:30] | couldn’t have gotten the ban renewed. | 不能让禁令重续 |
[08:32] | Tom Delay had dismissed it as simply | TomDelay废除了它只是因为 |
[08:35] | “a piece of feel-good legislation | 它是一个感觉良好 |
[08:37] | that had no chance of passing”. | 但是没有机会通过的法令 |
[08:39] | I didn’t get a commitment from Tom Delay. | 我没有取得TomDelay的承诺 |
[08:42] | I did from him. | 我取得了他的 |
[08:53] | Oh, my God! | 我的上帝 |
[08:54] | Not quite. | 有那么吃惊吗 |
[08:55] | What are you doing here? | 你在这做什么 |
[08:58] | Your behavior saddened me, Sara. | 你的举止让我伤心 Sara |
[09:01] | – It left me bereft. – Bereft? | – 这让我丧失了资格 – 丧失资格 |
[09:04] | Let’s not get carried away, reverend. | 别跑题 神父 |
[09:07] | – You desecrated my collar. – How? | -你亵渎了我的领口 -怎么啦 |
[09:10] | You smelled it in a sexual manner. | 你用一种性感的方式闻了它 |
[09:12] | You rubbed it lasciviously against your face. | 你淫亵地用你的脸揉擦了它 |
[09:15] | I’m reporting you. | 我会举报你的 |
[09:17] | – To whom? – Your superiors, perhaps the bar. | -向谁举报 -你的上司 或者律师席 |
[09:21] | And what happens to you if | 如果你的行为被公开 |
[09:22] | your behavior becomes public? | 你会发生什么事呢 |
[09:23] | I’ve considered that. I must atone as well. | 我考虑过了 我必须弥补 |
[09:27] | We must both go public with our sins and atone. | 我们必须和我们的罪恶一起公之于众 并加以弥补 |
[09:32] | Reverend? | 神父 |
[09:34] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[09:37] | I was only trying to help a client | 我只是在帮助一个客户 |
[09:39] | I felt was being taken advantage of. | 我觉得被利用了 |
[09:41] | I’m really sorry. | 我真的很抱歉 |
[09:45] | I’d really appreciate you not… | 如果你不举报的话 |
[09:50] | telling. | 我真的会很感谢 |
[09:57] | On one condition. | 有个条件 |
[10:00] | Go into the women’s room, | 到洗手间去 |
[10:03] | remove your panties and give them to me. | 脱掉你的内裤把它给我 |
[10:07] | I beg your pardon? | 您说什么 |
[10:08] | You sniffed my personals. I | 你闻了我的 |
[10:10] | should like a whiff of yours. | 我也想要点你的 |
[10:12] | First of all, | 首先 |
[10:13] | I smelled your collar, not your shorts. | 我闻了你的领口而不是内裤 |
[10:16] | Give me your underwear, | 给我你的内裤 |
[10:18] | or I’m going to atone. | 要不我就捅开 |
[10:23] | I first met him as a recovering murderer. | 我起先遇见他时 他是一个正在康复的谋杀犯 |
[10:26] | He’d killed his mother and neighbor. | 他杀了他的妈妈和邻居 |
[10:28] | Had he admitted these crimes to you? | 他向你承认了这些罪行吗 |
[10:30] | Oh, yes. Many times. | 是的 说了很多次 |
[10:32] | Catherine | Catherine, may I ask, |
[10:34] | why would you seek to befriend this man? | 请问你为何会和这种人交朋友呢 |
[10:38] | Well, I felt at his core, he wasn’t evil. | 我以为他本质上不坏 |
[10:41] | I also thought I could help him | 我同样以为 将他向上帝 我们的救星指引 |
[10:43] | by introducing him to Jesus Christ, our savior. | 能够帮助他 |
[10:46] | – Was he open to that? – Not terribly. | – 他皈依了吗 – 不完全 |
[10:49] | He thought it would make him look like a bad Jew. | 他觉得那会让他看起来像个坏犹太人 |
[10:54] | So what happened? | 发生什么了 |
[10:57] | Well, we were in the kitchen | 我们在厨房里 |
[10:59] | watching the telecast about the Kelly Nolan trial. | 看电视上KellyNolan的审判 |
[11:03] | He was talking about leaving hints the next time… | 他说下次会留下线索 |
[11:08] | saying how he enjoyed the taste of killing. | 说他享受谋杀的感觉 |
[11:12] | My mind started swirling. | 我脑子开始眩晕了 |
[11:14] | I was thinking, | 我在想 |
[11:15] | “I’d gone to the police. | 我已经报警了 |
[11:17] | They said they couldn’t help. “ | 他们说他们帮不了 |
[11:19] | There was no place for me to turn. | 我没有地方可以投诉 |
[11:21] | If I ran away, that was a | 如果我跑了 |
[11:24] | betrayal he said he couldn’t tolerate. | 他会说这是他不能忍受的背叛 |
[11:27] | I looked down at my hands, | 我低头看了看我的手 |
[11:30] | saw I was holding the skillet, | 我握着那个长柄锅 |
[11:33] | the weapon he’d used to commit murder. | 这是他曾用来犯罪的武器 |
[11:36] | And I suddenly thought | 我突然觉得 |
[11:38] | this was my only way out. | 这是我唯一的出路 |
[11:40] | So I just swung. | 所以我挥舞了它 |
[11:42] | Twice. | 两次 |
[11:44] | And he dropped. | 他倒下了 |
[11:47] | Catherine, you took a human life. | Catherine 你夺去了一个人的生命 |
[11:51] | Killing his mother was strike one. | 杀死他的妈妈是挥击一 |
[11:54] | Killing his neighbor was strike two. | 杀死他的邻居是挥击二 |
[11:57] | And the way he talked, | 按照他说的说法 |
[11:59] | Bernie had a third strike coming. | Bernie还要挥击第三次 |
[12:09] | I heard about Tara. | 我听说Tara的事了 |
[12:11] | I feel your hurt. | 你觉得你挺难过的 |
[12:13] | What’s most upsetting, Denny, is I don’t hurt. | 最让人沮丧的是 Denny 我不难过 |
[12:16] | So I don’t have to hug you and tell | 所以我不需要拥抱你 |
[12:18] | you I’m there for you and all that crap? | 告诉你我在这儿之类的废话 |
[12:21] | You can skip it. | 你可以省略它 |
[12:24] | How’s your trial going? | 你的案件进展如何 |
[12:28] | I’m there as a prop. | 我在那做道具 |
[12:30] | Shirley not giving you enough to do? | Shirley 没让你做什么 |
[12:32] | Oh, Alan, it’s a dream case. | Alan 这可是梦想中的案件 |
[12:35] | To be able to actually defend a | 为一个反对禁令攻击性武器的国会议员 |
[12:38] | congressman who opposes the ban on assault weapons? | 辩护 |
[12:40] | It’s what any lawyer lives for. | 这是任何律师都想要的 |
[12:48] | I’m gonna show you something. | 我会给你点好瞧的 |
[13:03] | Denny Jeez, Denny. | |
[13:06] | Ooh. This one, my father gave me. | 这个 我父亲给我的 |
[13:08] | Lovely. Could you kindly point it | 很不错 能拜托将它 |
[13:10] | in any direction other than my head? | 指向不是我脑袋的其他地方吗 |
[13:12] | It’s not loaded. | 没上子弹的 |
[13:13] | Oh! I guess it is. | 原来上子弹了 |
[13:15] | Denny For God’s sake, Denny! | 看在上帝的份上 |
[13:16] | Oh, lighten up, will you? | 轻松些了 不是吗 |
[13:19] | What in God’s name? | 看在上帝的份上 |
[13:21] | Shirley And it is in god’s name, Shirley. | 是看在上帝的份上 |
[13:24] | The right to bear arms, second commandment. | 携带武器的权利 第二戒律 |
[13:26] | That would be the second amendment. | 那会成为第二修正案 |
[13:28] | That’s same difference. | 一样 |
[13:30] | I should be first-chairing this case. | 我应该主管这个案子 |
[13:31] | If anybody should be the poster | 谁要是能成为这个国家的 |
[13:33] | boy for guns in this country… | 枪支海报男孩 |
[13:35] | It should be you. | 那也是你 |
[13:37] | Denny, congressman Jacobs is | Denny Jacobs议员 |
[13:40] | for the assault weapon ban. | 是支持攻击性武器禁令的 |
[13:42] | Did you know that? | 你知道吗 |
[13:43] | What do you mean, he’s for the, the ban? | 你说什么 他支持那个禁令 |
[13:45] | He let it lapse because sometimes | 他让它失效了是因为 |
[13:48] | in politics, there are politics. | 有的时候 政治就是政治 |
[13:51] | But in principle, he’s for the ban. | 但是原则上 他是支持禁令的 |
[13:54] | But if he supports a law and | 但如果他支持一条法律 |
[13:57] | then agrees to let it lapse, | 怎么会同意让它失效呢 |
[13:59] | then that would make him… | 那就会成全他为 |
[14:02] | A Democrat. | 一个民主党人 |
[14:05] | You’re giving representation to a Democrat. | 你将为一个民主党人作陈述 |
[14:42] | With all the rain, the Charles | 随着雨水 |
[14:44] | has spilled into the sewer systems. | Charles摔进了下水道 |
[14:47] | It isn’t exactly Nimmo bay. | 这可不是Nimmo海滩 |
[14:49] | Word is they’re catching some on commonwealth. | 传言他们真的在州里抓到了一些 |
[14:55] | I think I’m gonna retire, Alan. | 我想我要退休拉 Alan |
[15:06] | What’s going on? | 出什么事了 |
[15:09] | I don’t know. I just… | 我不知道 我只是 |
[15:11] | I think it’s a sign when the practice | 我想这是个信号 |
[15:13] | of law is less rewarding than, uh… | 当律师赚钱还不如 |
[15:16] | Fishing in the sewer? | 在阴沟里钓鱼 |
[15:22] | I feel devalued. | 我感觉贬值了 |
[15:25] | I always wanted to go out with my pride, | 我总是想高昂着头出去 |
[15:28] | failing that, at least my old time slot. | 害怕显老 |
[15:32] | I wish… | 我希望 |
[15:36] | I was never great. | 我从来没伟大过 |
[15:40] | Because? | 因为 |
[15:43] | Because… | 因为 |
[15:46] | I remember. | 我记得 |
[15:51] | When God strips you of your talent, | 当上帝剥夺了你的才华 |
[15:53] | he should at least have the decency to strip away | 他至少应该帮个忙 |
[15:56] | the memory of having had it. | 去掉你曾经有过的记忆 |
[16:09] | What do you mean, he wants your underwear? | 你什么意思 他想要你的内裤 |
[16:11] | I mean he wants my underwear! | 我是说他想要我的内裤 |
[16:15] | – Is he still here? – No. | -他还在吗 -没有 |
[16:16] | He asked me to think on it, pray on it, | 他要我考虑一下 祈祷 |
[16:18] | and he’ll be back in the morning. | 他早上会回来 |
[16:22] | Okay. | 好的 |
[16:24] | Relax. | 放松 |
[16:33] | Okay. | 好的 |
[16:37] | You’ve got to give him your underwear. | 你得给他你的内裤 |
[16:39] | – What? – Otherwise we’ll be fired. | -什么 -要不我们就会被开除的 |
[16:41] | I’m not gonna give him my underwear. Are you crazy? | 我不会给他我的内裤的 你疯了吗 |
[16:43] | The guy is obviously sick. | 这个家伙显然变态 |
[16:45] | Which is why we need to be afraid here. | 这就是我们在这害怕的原因 |
[16:47] | If we can’t count on him to be | 如果我们不能指望他 |
[16:48] | rational enough to save his own career? | 足够理智来拯救他自己的事业 |
[16:50] | Just give him your underwear. | 那就给他你的内裤 |
[16:52] | That’s not even an option, Garrett. | 没得选 Garrett |
[16:54] | First, because I would never do it, | 因为首先 我不会做这种事 |
[16:55] | Sara, what if he reports us? | Sara 如果他告发我们呢 |
[16:57] | And second, I’m not wearing any. | 其次 我根本没穿 |
[16:58] | We’ll be fired and… | 我们会被开除的 |
[17:04] | You’re not wearing any? | 你没有穿 |
[17:05] | Garrett! This is your doing! | Garrett 这是你干的 |
[17:08] | I’m making it your problem. | 自己解决吧 |
[17:11] | You go deal with the sicko. | 你去摆平那个变态 |
[17:32] | The skillet was in your | 长柄锅在你手里 |
[17:33] | hand. Could you hold it, please? | 你能握住它吗 |
[17:34] | Objection. | 反对 |
[17:35] | I would like her to demonstrate how she struck Mr. Ferrion. | 我想让她示范她是如何攻击Ferrion先生的 |
[17:40] | Your honor, this is meant to inflame the jury. | 法官大人 这会煽动陪审团 |
[17:42] | – There is simply no reason… – She already described it. | -毫无道理 -她已经描述过了 |
[17:43] | The prejudicial value of a demonstration, | 示范的偏见性评价 |
[17:45] | In a case like this… the prosecution’s petrified. | 在一个像这样的案件里 控方被石化了 |
[17:48] | that my client comes off as sympathetic. | 我的委托人是有同情心的 |
[17:49] | She wants her to re-enact the | 她想让她再演一次犯罪的过程 |
[17:51] | crime to negate that sympathy. | 来打消别人的同情心 |
[17:52] | There’s no probative value. | 没说服力 |
[17:53] | It’s a stunt, and a cheap one. | 廉价的噱头 |
[17:55] | – I’m going to allow it. – What? | -我允许 -什么 |
[17:57] | The jury can see how it happened. | 陪审团可以看到是怎么发生的 |
[17:59] | She testified as to how it happened. | 她将证明是如何发生的 |
[18:01] | I’ve made my ruling. Step back. | 我已决定 退下 |
[18:06] | Step back, counsel. | 退下 辩护律师 |
[18:14] | Would you show us your movements, Mrs. Piper? | 能给我们展示一下你的动作吗 Piper太太 |
[18:19] | I… | 我 |
[18:35] | I, I was at the sink facing this way. | 我当时在洗碗池 面朝这边 |
[18:41] | And he was going on about the taste of killing. | 他在说一些关于谋杀的事 |
[18:44] | That’s when my mind started to swirl at the thought, | 想到这个 我的脑袋开始眩晕了 |
[18:48] | “Oh, my God, he’ll kill again. He might kill me!” | 我的上帝 他又要杀人了 他可能会杀了我 |
[18:54] | I looked at the skillet, | 我看看长柄锅 |
[18:56] | and suddenly, this could be my way out. | 突然想到 这是我唯一的出路 |
[19:01] | And I wheeled… | 我舞动了 |
[19:19] | – A plea? – Did you have to hit it so hard? | -借口 -你干嘛挥舞得那么用力啊 |
[19:22] | I was under oath. | 我发誓了 |
[19:29] | I don’t like the sound of that. | 我不喜欢这种语调 |
[19:35] | Catherine, I’m not sure I can win this. | Catherine 我不确定我能赢 |
[19:37] | – You promised. – I promised I’d try. | -你答应了 -我答应了我会努力 |
[19:40] | Well, that’s all I’m asking for. | 这就是我请求的 |
[19:42] | I mean, just keep trying. | 我是说 继续努力 |
[19:45] | Please. | 拜托了 |
[19:50] | She really left? | 她真的离开了 |
[19:53] | I’m sorry? | 什么 |
[19:54] | Tara | 她真走了吗 Tara. She’s gone? |
[19:59] | Evidently. | 确实 |
[20:03] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[20:06] | Not to worry. | 别担心 |
[20:15] | Look, if I had the power | 看 如果我有能力 |
[20:17] | to move the bill for a vote, | 提议对这个草案进行表决 |
[20:18] | I would have. | 我会的 |
[20:20] | In fairness, did you try | 公平地说 你曾经努力 |
[20:22] | to move the bill for a vote? | 提议对草案进行表决吗 |
[20:24] | – No. – Okay. Why not? | -没有 -为何不呢 |
[20:27] | Quite honestly, because I was up for reelection. | 坦白说 因为我在寻求连任 |
[20:30] | If I’d been active about | 如果我很活跃的寻求 |
[20:31] | renewing the ban on assault weapons, | 攻击性武器禁令的延续 |
[20:33] | the N.R.A. would have opposed | N.R.A会反对我的 |
[20:34] | me, run smear campaigns against me, | 会发动诽谤活动反对我 |
[20:36] | and I’d be sitting here today as an ex-congressman. | 我就会以一个前国会议员的身份坐在这儿 |
[20:40] | You caved. | 你投降了 |
[20:41] | I cannot serve my constituents if I’m not in office. | 如果我不在位的话我无权行使选举权 |
[20:44] | So like any elected official, I have to pick my battles. | 就像任何一位被选举的公务员 我得选择我的战役 |
[20:48] | And political survival has to be a consideration. | 政治上的存活也需要被纳入考虑 |
[20:52] | You told my client you’d support the ban. | 你告诉我的委托人你支持那个禁令 |
[20:54] | At the time, I fully planned to. | 现在 我正在付以全力 |
[20:56] | Then in September, | 九月里 |
[20:58] | three lobbyists from the N.R.A. walked in my office, | 三位来自N.R.A的说客来到了我的办公室 |
[21:01] | informed me they’d contribute | 告诉我他们将 |
[21:03] | heavily to my opponent’s campaign, | 非常支持我对手的竞选活动 |
[21:04] | informed me they’d finance negative ADs against me. | 告诉我他们将出钱拍我的负面广告 |
[21:07] | My advisors told me they’d be successful. | 我的顾问们说他们会得逞的 |
[21:10] | So I would have lost my seat | 那样我就会丢掉我的席位 |
[21:12] | supporting a bill that had no chance of passing. | 支持那个议案也没机会成功 |
[21:15] | Does that seem practical to you? | 这对你实用吗 |
[21:16] | Sticking to one’s principles | 坚持一个人的原则 |
[21:18] | always struck me as being practical. | 在我看来一直都是实用的 |
[21:21] | Look, the ban on assault weapons… | 对于攻击性武器的禁令 |
[21:27] | The Democrats are for it. | 民主党人支持它 |
[21:28] | The Republicans are for it. | 共和党人支持它 |
[21:30] | The police are for it. 80% of the public is for it. | 警察支持它 80%的公众支持它 |
[21:33] | And we don’t have it. | 我们不得势 |
[21:36] | That should tell you how powerful the gun lobby is. | 这可以说明枪支说客有多强大 |
[21:39] | So you ran scared. | 所以你胆怯地逃跑了 |
[21:50] | That was horrible testimony! | 这是可怕的证词 |
[21:51] | – All right, Denny. – What was the strategy? | -好啦 Denny -那是什么策略 |
[21:54] | Can somebody please explain it to me? | 能有人给我解释下吗 |
[21:55] | The strategy was there was nothing | 策略是 |
[21:57] | our client could really do to renew the ban. | 我的委托人不能做任何事来延续这一禁令 |
[22:00] | He’s therefore not the proximate | 所以他与原告的损失 |
[22:02] | cause of the plaintiff’s injury. | 没有直接关系 |
[22:03] | But that’s defensive. Why be | 但是那是自卫陈词 |
[22:04] | defensive when justice is on our side? | 当正义在我们这边时为何要自卫呢 |
[22:06] | Justice being… | 正义在于 |
[22:07] | Guns! | 枪支里 |
[22:08] | There are more guns in American | 在美国家庭里 |
[22:09] | households than pets, for God sakes, | 拥有枪支的多过养宠物的 |
[22:11] | more guns than cell phones. Guns are hot! | 甚至比移动电话还多 枪支很流行 |
[22:15] | It’s not that simple, Denny. | 没这么简单 Denny |
[22:16] | What’s simple is this | 就这么简单 |
[22:17] | you don’t get on the stand and say, | 你不能站在台上说 |
[22:19] | “I’m sorry for not doing the right thing”. | 我很抱歉没有尽应尽的义务 |
[22:21] | You testify, “I did the right thing”. | 你应该说 我做得对 |
[22:24] | That’s how you win lawsuits. | 这才是赢者之道 |
[22:25] | You’re right even when you’re wrong! | 即使错了都要说得有理 |
[22:40] | All right. The panties are in the envelope. | 好了 内裤在信封里 |
[22:42] | But before I give them to you, | 但是在我给你之前 |
[22:44] | we’re gonna set a few conditions of our own. | 有几个条件 |
[22:46] | Let me see. | 让我看看 |
[22:49] | The panties. Let me see | 让我看看内裤 |
[22:51] | that they’re really in there. | 看它是不是真在那儿 |
[23:04] | Let me have a sample sniff | 让我闻闻 |
[23:06] | to assure the authenticity. | 是不是真货 |
[23:08] | I’m not gonna let you smell them now. | 我不能让你现在闻它 |
[23:16] | Those are new. She never wore them. | 这是新的 她从未穿过 |
[23:18] | Your law career is over, Mr. Wells. | 你的律师生涯结束了 Wells先生 |
[23:20] | All right, look. Let’s try another approach. | 好的 让我们再另想他法 |
[23:28] | I will beat you up. | 我会打败你的 |
[23:30] | Think I’m kidding? I will | 觉得我在开玩笑吗 |
[23:32] | smack you around, reverend. | 我会赶着你打的 神父 |
[23:33] | And what makes you think I wouldn’t enjoy that? | 什么让你觉得我不会享受这一切呢 |
[23:37] | I’ll be back this afternoon. | 下午我再来 |
[23:39] | And if my terms are not met, | 如果我的条件没被满足 |
[23:41] | I will go to your superiors. | 我会去见你们的上司 |
[23:58] | Awfully tiny cigar. | 漂亮的小雪茄 |
[24:03] | It’s the kind of cigar that goes | 这种雪茄将伴随我 |
[24:06] | along with our wimpy defense today. | 今天窝囊的辩护 |
[24:10] | Denise and I were discussing it. | Denise和我讨论过了 |
[24:13] | We think you’re right. | 我们觉得你是对的 |
[24:15] | We think maybe… | 我们觉得也许 |
[24:18] | maybe our approach should be… | 也许我们应该这样辩护 |
[24:23] | guns are good. | 枪支有益 |
[24:27] | But of course they are. | 当然它们就是 |
[24:28] | Denny The thing is, I don’t really believe it, Denny. | 问题在于 我并不真的这样认为 |
[24:31] | Nor does Denise. | Denise也是 |
[24:33] | And juries can always tell when | 当律师们无诚意时 |
[24:35] | lawyers are being disingenuous. | 陪审团总是能看出来的 |
[24:39] | We need you to close. | 我们需要你来做结案陈词 |
[24:42] | Me? | 我吗 |
[24:51] | Thing is… | 问题是 |
[24:53] | Shirley, I, I don’t really do that. | Shirley 我 我真的做不来 |
[24:57] | I’m more about… | 我更加 |
[24:59] | effect. | 引人注目 |
[25:02] | This is a big client who is responsible for awarding | 这是一个可能会给公司带来 |
[25:06] | this firm many government contracts. | 许多政府合约的大客户 |
[25:10] | We need you to pull this out. | 我们需要你搞定它 |
[25:12] | The, the, the thing about closing, Shirley, is… | 结案陈词 Shirley |
[25:20] | too many words. I, I, I, I can’t remember them. | 太多语句了 我 我 记不住 |
[25:27] | Mad cow. | 疯牛病 |
[25:29] | Denny You don’t have to remember words, Denny. | 你不需要记住那么多语句 |
[25:34] | This is about assault weapons. | 这有关于攻击性武器的 |
[25:37] | Just speak from your heart. | 发自心声就行 |
[25:40] | This is about… | 这有关 |
[25:42] | what’s dear. | 对你很重要的东西 |
[26:08] | Now what are you doing? | 你在做什么 |
[26:12] | Shirley asked me to close. | Shirley让我做结案陈词 |
[26:14] | I need more time to | 我需要时间来准备 |
[26:16] | prepare. I really, I can’t just… | 我真的 我不能 |
[26:20] | So I’m copying yours. | 所以我在复制你的 |
[26:22] | What do you mean, you’re copying mine? | 你这是什么意思 复制我的 |
[26:24] | Your closing. It’s good stuff. | 你的结案陈词 那是好东西 |
[26:26] | Do you write it? | 你写下了吗 |
[26:28] | You can’t just copy my closing. | 你不能复制我的结案陈词 |
[26:30] | Why not? | 为什么不行呢 |
[26:31] | We’re on the same team. Don’t be such a girl. | 我们在同一小组 别小气得像个女孩了 |
[26:33] | Denny, we have completely different cases. | Denny 我们接的是完全不同的案子 |
[26:35] | So what? It’s not like the jury really listens. | 那有什么关系 很有可能陪审团都不会怎么听的 |
[26:39] | Are you out of your mind? | 你疯了吗 |
[26:46] | What’s the matter? | 有什么关系 |
[26:50] | I’m afraid. | 我很害怕 |
[26:53] | Afraid of what? | 害怕什么 |
[27:00] | Hey! – You’re Denny Crane. – No, I’m not. | -你是DennyCrane -不 我不是 |
[27:05] | That’s somebody I used to be. | 我曾经是 |
[27:09] | Can you believe the irony? | 你能相信这其中的讽刺吗 |
[27:12] | All I ever really wanted | 我现在只想 |
[27:14] | to do was to rise up one day | 有一天能站起来 |
[27:16] | and deliver the big summation on behalf of… | 做一份大的总结 代表 |
[27:20] | A gun. | 一支枪 |
[27:22] | And now the day finally comes… | 这一天终于来到了 |
[27:27] | and I’m afraid. | 我却害怕了 |
[27:31] | The day will be here tomorrow, my friend. | 那是明天 我的朋友 |
[27:34] | And you won’t be afraid. You know why? | 你不会害怕的 你知道为什么吗 |
[27:37] | You’re still Denny Crane. | 你还是DennyCrane |
[27:40] | This I know. | 我知道 |
[27:48] | I’m not suggesting you give him your underwear. | 我没暗示你给他你的内裤 |
[27:50] | – Yes, you are, Garrett. – I’m not. | -你就是这意思 Garrett -我不是 |
[27:53] | I’m saying put these on, and, uh… | 我在说穿上它 |
[27:55] | You’re as sick as he is. | 你和他一样变态 |
[27:57] | Sara | 如果这家伙揭发 Sara, if this guy reveals.. |
[27:58] | Where is he? | 他在哪里 |
[28:00] | Waiting in the lobby. | 在大厅等着呢 |
[28:16] | Reverend. | 神父 |
[28:18] | Sara | Sara. |
[28:19] | You’re not getting any of my apparel, reverend. | 你不会得到我的任何衣服的 神父 |
[28:21] | If you want to tell my superiors | 如果你想告诉我的上司 |
[28:23] | about our little sting, then do it, | 关于我们的小摩擦 那就去吧 |
[28:25] | knowing the consequences will | 到时候就知道你的后果 |
[28:26] | be far worse for you than for me. | 会远比我严重 |
[28:28] | One sniff, right here. | 让我闻一下 就在这 |
[28:30] | I’ll walk away. | 我就走 |
[28:34] | One more slap, we can call the whole matter settled. | 再打一耳光 我们就可了结此事了 |
[28:48] | Sweet. | 真不错 |
[28:56] | There was no self-defense or defense of others here. | 这里没有正当防卫或别种性质的防卫 |
[28:59] | I’m not going to waste time | 我不会浪费时间 |
[29:00] | telling you something you already know. | 告诉你们那些已知的事情 |
[29:04] | The defendant simply made a | 被告只是觉得 |
[29:06] | decision, a reflective one, | 自我觉得 |
[29:07] | that Bernard Ferrion should | Bernard Ferrion不应该 |
[29:09] | no longer be among the living. | 再存活 |
[29:11] | Two whacks to the back of the head. | 两记敲在脑袋上的重击 |
[29:14] | Whether Catherine Piper was | 不管Catherine Piper |
[29:16] | playing at executioner or God, | 是在做刽子手还是伸张正义 |
[29:18] | she committed murder. | 她都杀了人 |
[29:21] | Law and order isn’t simply something | 法律并不只是 |
[29:23] | found on television four nights a week. | 你一周四天在电视上看到的东西 |
[29:26] | Our integrity as a people | 我们作为人的正直品质 |
[29:28] | is inextricably bound up with the | 我们是一个有法之邦这个理念 |
[29:30] | idea that we are a nation of laws. | 紧密相连 |
[29:32] | You, as jurors, took an oath to uphold the law. | 你们 陪审员 发誓要维护法律 |
[29:39] | In a time when we, as Americans, | 在这样的一个时代 |
[29:42] | are increasingly labeled as | 我们美国人日益被标注为 |
[29:44] | a might-makes-right society, | 权利之上的社会 |
[29:46] | I sincerely hope, | 我真诚的希望 |
[29:49] | for our legacy as a moral society, | 我们道德社会的遗产 |
[29:53] | you choose to honor that oath. | 你们选择遵循那一誓言 |
[30:06] | I certainly hope you’re good. | 我当然希望你干得好一点 |
[30:12] | In 2003, we had 16,500 murders in this country. | 在2003年 这个国家发生了16500起谋杀案 |
[30:19] | 6,200 went unsolved. | 6200件没有侦破 |
[30:23] | On another 4,000, we made arrests. | 另外的4000件我们逮捕了一些人 |
[30:25] | The defendants eventually went free. | 被告最终都无罪释放 |
[30:27] | We don’t catch killers in this country. | 这个国家抓不到杀手 |
[30:30] | Since 1960, 200,000 murders have gone unsolved. | 自从1960年以来 2000000件谋杀案没被侦破 |
[30:34] | Forget about the ones where | 忘了那些 |
[30:36] | we just failed to convict. | 我们没能定罪的案件 |
[30:37] | For 200,000, we were baffled. | 有200000起我们束手无策 |
[30:40] | Ask me, we could use a few more vigilantes. | 我们可以启用更多些义务警员 |
[30:42] | Now you swing that skillet | 当你挥动那个长柄锅时 |
[30:43] | at your own risk, I grant you. | 得由自己负责 我向你保证 |
[30:45] | Kill an innocent person, | 杀死一个无辜的人 |
[30:47] | off to prison you should go. | 你应该进监狱 |
[30:48] | But Catherine Piper didn’t do that. | 但是Catherine Piper不是 |
[30:52] | Catherine Piper tried law and order. | Catherine Piper试图维护法律和秩序 |
[30:56] | She was scared for her life. | 她吓得要命 |
[30:58] | She did fear for the safety of others. | 她为其他人的生命安全不安 |
[31:02] | And in the heat of that fear, | 在这种恐惧下 |
[31:03] | she swung that skillet, | 她挥动了那个长柄锅 |
[31:04] | accomplishing in the process | 完成了 |
[31:06] | something the police couldn’t, | 警察没能做到的一些职责 |
[31:07] | she got the bad guy. | 她了结了那个坏蛋 |
[31:10] | Now I certainly don’t want | 我当然不希望 |
[31:12] | a society where people start arbitrarily taking the law into their own hands. | 人们肆意玩弄法律 |
[31:15] | I know you don’t. | 我知道你也不希望 |
[31:16] | But society certainly isn’t safeguarded, | 但是送CatherinePiper入狱 |
[31:20] | nor is it remotely benefited, by | 这个社会显然不会更安全 |
[31:23] | putting Catherine Piper in prison. | 甚至一点好处都得不到 |
[31:27] | Unlike the district attorney, | 不像公诉人 |
[31:29] | I don’t think we’re a country | 我并不觉得我们这样的一个国家 |
[31:30] | inextricably bound up with law and | 不可避免的把 |
[31:34] | order or some national integrity. | 法律与纪律和民族正直性连在一块 |
[31:38] | I like to think we’re a people… | 我更愿意觉得我们是一个民族 |
[31:43] | mostly about humanity. | 更多的关心人性 |
[31:47] | And humanity isn’t about the | 而人性并不具有 |
[31:51] | right to trumpet moral superiority. | 吹嘘道德优越的权利 |
[31:56] | Humanity… | 人性 |
[31:59] | is about compassion, | 是热情 |
[32:03] | even forgiveness. | 甚至是宽恕 |
[32:06] | Catherine Piper | 尽管很害怕 Catherine Piper, in all her fear, |
[32:09] | reacted in a very human way. | 但还是做出了非常人性的举动 |
[32:17] | She’s here now | 她现在此 |
[32:20] | asking you to do the same. | 恳求你们也做出同样的举动 |
[32:41] | I thought you’d be better. | 我觉得你更棒 |
[32:52] | – Where the hell is he? – I don’t know. | -他到底在哪里 -我不知道 |
[32:54] | The last time we spoke, he seemed… | 我们最后谈话的时候 他看起来 |
[32:56] | He’s supposed to be here closing. | 他应该来做结案陈词 |
[32:57] | I’ll call him on his cell phone, but, Shirley… | 我会打他手机 但是 Shirley |
[33:00] | The other side has started. | 对方的结案陈词已经开始了 |
[33:02] | You may have to do this yourself. | 你大概得自己来做了 |
[33:04] | Denny’s feet seemed a little frozen. | Denny有点打退堂鼓了 |
[33:06] | Oh, my God. | 我的上帝 |
[33:13] | – Denny’s missing. – I heard. | -Denny失踪了 -我听见了 |
[33:18] | How long does a jury deliberate? | 陪审团要商议多久 |
[33:20] | There’s no rule. | 没一定规则 |
[33:21] | But it could be today. | 但是今天会出结果的 |
[33:24] | The judge said he’ll keep | 法官说他将等到 |
[33:26] | them till 10 o’clock tonight. | 今晚10点 |
[33:30] | Alan, whatever happens, thank you. | 不过结果如何 谢谢你 |
[33:34] | I mean that. | 说真心话 |
[33:37] | Baretta said that to his attorney. Brought him luck. | Baretta这样对他的律师说 带给了他好运 |
[33:47] | Like congressman Jacobs says, | 像Jacobs议员说过的 |
[33:49] | everybody wants the ban on assault weapons, | 每个人都想对攻击性武器设禁令 |
[33:53] | the Democrats, the Republicans, | 民主党人 共和党人 |
[33:56] | the police, 78% of the public. | 警察 78%的民众 |
[33:59] | And yet, we don’t have it. | 但是 我们还没有这样做 |
[34:03] | Why? | 为何呢 |
[34:04] | The senate majority leader has said, and I quote, | 参议院多数曾说过 我在此引用 |
[34:07] | “The will of the American people is | 美国人意向一致在于 |
[34:10] | consistent with letting it expire”. | 让它过期 |
[34:12] | Is that consistent with your will? | 这和你的意愿一致吗 |
[34:15] | With yours? | 和你的吗 |
[34:18] | What the hell is going on here? | 到底怎么回事 |
[34:21] | The N.R.A. has them all terrified. | N.R.A把他们吓住了 |
[34:26] | How powerful is this lobby? | 说客有多强大 |
[34:29] | Senator Kerry, in his bid to get elected president, | Kerry参议员在他竞选总统时 |
[34:34] | was advised that he had to | 被建议出去 |
[34:36] | go out and shoot an animal | 打一只野兽 |
[34:38] | and to be photographed doing so. | 并拍下照片 |
[34:41] | He’s a windsurfer, for God’s sake! | 他是一个帆板运动员 看在上帝的份上 |
[34:46] | Well, enough is enough. | 够了 |
[34:50] | It is time to start holding congress accountable. | 让国会负责的时候到了 |
[34:55] | 3000 deaths by firearms every year in this country. | 每年这个国家有三千人因枪支致死 |
[34:59] | And we can’t ban assault weapons? | 我们还不禁止攻击性武器的使用 |
[35:02] | People need them for personal protection? | 人们需要它们来自我保护吗 |
[35:07] | To hunt? | 去狩猎 |
[35:09] | And now we actually have | 现在我们事实上 |
[35:11] | legislation pending in Washington | 在Washington有未决的法案 |
[35:14] | that will literally shield the | 最终会庇护 |
[35:17] | gun manufacturers from being sued, | 枪支生产商免予诉讼 |
[35:20] | even for negligence. | 就算有过失也是 |
[35:21] | We can sue doctors, big tobacco, asbestos, | 我们能够诉讼医生 大型烟草商 石棉商 |
[35:25] | but the gun industry gets its own | 但是枪支工业却 |
[35:27] | special legislation granting them immunity. | 有着特别的法案来保护他们免责 |
[35:33] | What the hell is going on? | 这到底是怎么回事 |
[35:39] | Where are our elected officials? | 我们选举的公务员在哪里 |
[35:44] | This one vowed to fight the gun industry, | 那个宣誓会奋战枪支工业的人呢 |
[35:48] | took campaign contributions | 那个承诺会 |
[35:51] | on the promise that he would. | 发起相关活动的人呢 |
[35:54] | And what did Alex Naughton get in return? | Alex Naughton 得到了什么回报 |
[35:57] | His 16-year-old nephew, | 他16岁的侄子 |
[36:00] | while buying a quart of milk, | 在买一夸特牛奶时 |
[36:06] | was mowed down by two AK-47s. | 被两支AK-47s夺去了生命 |
[36:27] | You want to take it? | 你想做陈词吗 |
[36:29] | It’s all yours. | 这是你的份 |
[36:33] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[36:36] | Mr. Crane, we do not allow | Crane先生 我们不允许 |
[36:38] | firearms in the courtroom! | 带枪火进法庭 |
[36:40] | Oh, it’s just a prop, judge. It’s not… | 这只是个道具 法官 |
[36:45] | loaded. | 居然上弹药了 |
[36:53] | Apologies. | 抱歉 |
[37:04] | It was the shot heard around the world. | 这是全球都听见过的枪声 |
[37:07] | Remember? | 记得吗 |
[37:09] | Not the punch. Not the stabbing. | 不是拳击伤人 不是持刀伤人 |
[37:13] | It was the shot that rallied the minutemen | 这是重振旗鼓的枪声 |
[37:16] | to defeat the redcoats at Lexington. | 在Lexington击败英国军人的枪声 |
[37:20] | This nation began with a gun, | 这个国家由一支枪开始 |
[37:22] | and we’ll go down with a gun, or maybe… | 我们将固守弹药 或者 |
[37:25] | if we have them, | 如果我们拥有它们 |
[37:28] | won’t go down at all. | 我们就不会衰败 |
[37:32] | Let me tell you about assault weapons. | 我来说说一些攻击性武器的事 |
[37:34] | The FBI now reports that | FBI现在报道 |
[37:36] | the terrorists are coming to America to get them | 恐怖分子到美国买枪 |
[37:38] | because it’s easier to procure them here. | 因为在这里更容易到手 |
[37:41] | Now I ask you, | 现在我问你 |
[37:43] | how can we supply terrorists with AK-47s | 如果我们给恐怖分子装备了 AK-47s |
[37:46] | and not give them to our own people? | 却不给我们自己的同胞拥有它们的权利 |
[37:50] | That may sound crazy. | 是很疯狂的事情 |
[37:51] | But part of being an American in | 某种意义上说 |
[37:53] | the wild west was we came armed. | 我们是荷枪实弹的来到美国西部开荒的 |
[37:56] | It’s in the bill of sale, for God sakes. | 这融入了我们的销售法案 看在上帝的份上 |
[37:58] | Bill of rights. | 权利和自由法案中 |
[38:00] | In our national anthem, we’ve got | 在我们的国歌里 |
[38:02] | bombs bursting in air, for God sakes. | 我们头顶炸弹 看在上帝的份上 |
[38:04] | We drive around with our | 我们带着 |
[38:05] | shotguns on the outside of the pickups | 散弹猎枪在外面出游 |
[38:07] | so the neighbors will see them. And… | 那样邻居们就会看到它们 |
[38:11] | nobody talks about this out loud, of course, | 没人会说出来 |
[38:13] | but things might have turned out | 但是事情可能会有所不同 |
[38:15] | differently for the nephew of the plaintiff | 原告的侄子 |
[38:17] | if he had had his own automatic weapon. | 如果他有自己的自动武器的话 |
[38:23] | The first sound of democracy | 民主政治的第一声 |
[38:24] | came from a gun like this one. | 发自一支这样的枪 |
[38:26] | And that’s why | 这就是为何 |
[38:29] | the ban on assault weapons | 对于攻击性武器的禁令 |
[38:31] | has been allowed to lapse. | 会被允许失效 |
[38:33] | It’s all about our basic civil rights. | 这事关我们基本的民权 |
[38:36] | It’s about democracy. | 这事关民主 |
[38:39] | It’s about freedom! | 这事关自由 |
[38:45] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[39:01] | Mr. Foreman, has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团 你们下判决了吗 |
[39:05] | – We have, your honor. – How say you? | – 我们做出判决了 法官先生 – 你们怎么说 |
[39:07] | In the matter of the commonwealth | Massachusetts州 |
[39:09] | of Massachusetts vs Catherine Piper | 对于Catherine Piper |
[39:11] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 一级谋杀案的指控 |
[39:13] | we, the jury, find the defendant… | 我们 陪审团 宣告被告 |
[39:17] | Is it so much to remember? | 有这么多要记的吗 |
[39:21] | Not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:23] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Thank | 陪审团的女士们 先生们 |
[39:24] | – you for your service. – Oh, thank God. | – 谢谢你们的到场 – 感谢上帝 |
[39:26] | – Amen. – You’re dismissed. | – 阿门 – 你被释放了 |
[39:27] | I think, I think I might actually cry. | 我觉得 我觉得我要哭了 |
[39:32] | I know I would if it had been guilty. | 如果被判有罪我知道我会的 |
[39:35] | Mrs. Piper, you are free to go. | Piper太太 你可以走了 |
[39:39] | – Court is adjourned. – Congratulations, Catherine. | – 休庭 – 祝贺你 Catherine |
[39:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[39:43] | You know… | 你知道 |
[39:44] | in all the time I’ve known you, Alan, | 我认识你这么久了 Alan |
[39:47] | I don’t think I’ve ever hugged you. | 我不记得我拥抱过你 |
[39:49] | We need to fix that. | 我们需要搞定它 |
[40:03] | – Was it thrilling? – It actually was. | – 它激奋吗 – 的确 |
[40:05] | With all the battles we fight, | 我们奋战过的那些战役 |
[40:08] | we don’t often get to wage them on behalf of people | 我们通常都不代表人民 |
[40:10] | we genuinely care about. | 我们并不在乎他们 |
[40:12] | And you, to be able to walk into court | 而你 穿成新英格兰爱国者 |
[40:14] | dressed as the mascot for the New england Patriots. | 走进了法庭 |
[40:17] | Super bowl champion Patriots. | 特级战士爱国者 |
[40:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:20] | Alan, I was good in there. | Alan 我在那状态很好 |
[40:22] | I can’t be sure, but in the middle, | 我不能确定 但是到了中间 |
[40:23] | I think I actually felt smoke coming out of my ass. | 事实上 我有感觉烟从我屁股里冒出来 |
[40:26] | – I have no doubt. – Boys? | – 毫无疑问 – 男孩们 |
[40:29] | Any word? | 什么事 |
[40:30] | The jury’s still out, which is a miracle. | 陪审团还没决定 这真是个奇迹 |
[40:35] | Denny, your… | Denny 你的 |
[40:36] | your closing was nothing short of unbelievable. | 你的结案陈词真让人叫绝 |
[40:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:42] | We might actually have a chance | 我们可能有机会 |
[40:43] | of winning this, although, well, | 赢 但是 |
[40:45] | you heard me say “miracle. “ | 你听见我说奇迹了 |
[40:48] | I, I just wanted to say that… | 我 我只是想说 |
[40:50] | you intermittently made sense in there and… | 在那里你间歇还言之成理 还有 |
[40:54] | You’ll have sex with me. | 你会和我上床 |
[40:56] | Come on. | 得了吧 |
[40:58] | At least pet the musket. | 至少奖励下步枪吧 |
[41:00] | I have a dinner, | 我还要赴宴 |
[41:02] | but because you’ve been so good. | 但既然你表现得那么好 |
[41:07] | Denny Crane | Denny Crane. |
[41:10] | A quickie. | 这么快 |
[41:12] | Nothing for my musket? | 我的步枪没奖励吗 |
[41:14] | Another time. | 下次吧 |
[41:21] | Alan, you were right. | Alan 你是对的 |
[41:22] | I still am Denny Crane. I’ve still got it. | 我还是Denny Crane 我还有货 |
[41:25] | And I’ve decided for my new year’s resolution, | 我决定把这作为我的新年决心 |
[41:29] | I’m gonna remember that. | 我会记住它的 |
[41:30] | What’s your resolution? | 你的决心是什么 |
[41:32] | It’s October. | 现在是九月 |
[41:36] | And that’s a watch. | 这是块表 |
[41:40] | October’s not too late to make a resolution. | 九月定新年决心太迟啦 |
[41:42] | You don’t have any? | 你没有吗 |
[41:44] | Mine would be to appreciate | 我的将是感激 |
[41:47] | my friends every single day | 我的朋友们带来的每一天 |
[41:49] | and catch more fish. | 抓更多的鱼 |
[41:50] | Speaking of which, the rumor appears to be true. | 流言似乎是真的 |
[41:53] | They’re catching them up on commonwealth. | 他们的确在下水沟里抓到了鱼 |
[41:54] | Then what the hell are we doing on this balcony? | 那我们到底在阳台上做什么啊 |
[41:57] | – Indeed. Cheers, Denny. – Cheers, my friend. | – 的确 干杯 – 干杯 我的朋友 |