时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on Boston Legal | |
[00:07] | You disapprove of me. | 你对我有意见啊 |
[00:08] | You know, I’d stake out a little distance from that Shore guy, Sally. | Sally 换做我 我会离Shore那个男人远些 |
[00:11] | He tends to leave people’s minds a little worse off than he finds them. | 他只想着弄乱别人的心绪 不想负责 |
[00:14] | Why are you counseling Sally to distance herself from me? | 你为什么劝Sally离我远些? |
[00:18] | There are happily ever after guys, | 有些男人让女人幸福天长地久 |
[00:19] | and there are those who leave girls in a heap. | 有些男人甩掉女人无数 |
[00:22] | And I can tell the difference. | 我能分得出 |
[00:23] | Sorry, I’m sorry, good people. | 好人们 抱歉啊 我迟到了 |
[00:32] | Edwin, everything all right? | Edwin 你还好吧? |
[00:35] | Hunky dory. | 一切都顶呱呱 |
[00:36] | Denny, guess what, I’m due in court with Tara. | Denny 你猜怎么着 我在庭上见到了Tara |
[00:40] | We’re on it. | 我们会接手的 |
[00:41] | Don’t you worry. | 别担心 |
[00:42] | – You just get better. – Okay. | – 你只要好好养病 – 好吧 |
[00:44] | Demagnetize his parking pass. | 把他的停车证给注销 |
[00:46] | – I beg your pardon? – I know when the man is gone. | – 什么? – 我看这人得走人了 |
[01:14] | Helen. | Helen 你怎么来了 |
[01:15] | He’s gone. | 他去了 |
[01:16] | Denny, Edwin’s gone. | Edwin去了 Denny |
[01:17] | I know. Shame. | 真遗憾 |
[01:19] | No, I mean he’s missing. | 不 我是说他失踪了 |
[01:20] | He left the hospital. | 他自己出院了 |
[01:22] | – Did he come here? – Not that I’m aware of. | – 他有来这儿吗? – 至少我没注意到 |
[01:24] | Anyone see Edwin Poole? | 有人见过Edwin Poole吗? |
[01:42] | 12号部门 刑事庭 | |
[01:44] | Your Honor, at this time I would like to discharge counsel. | 法官阁下 现在我想换辩护律师 |
[01:48] | Can you tell me why you want new counsel? | 你为什么想换辩护律师? |
[01:51] | On the grounds of intolerabilitude. | 因为我不能忍受他的态度了 |
[01:54] | Not a real word, Mr. Litch. | Litch先生 没这种说法 |
[01:56] | It should be, Your Honor, | 法官阁下 应该有的啊 |
[01:57] | because it describes my deteriorating relationship | 因为这词绝对能描述我和 |
[02:00] | with the man vested with the responsibility of proving my innocence. | 那个替我辩护的家伙之间越来越差的关系 |
[02:04] | Sir, you confessed to the crime. | 先生 你已经供认罪行了 |
[02:06] | I changed my position on that. | 我变主意了 |
[02:08] | Mr. Litch, this is the seventh attorney | Litch先生 这已经是你第七次 |
[02:10] | you’ve sought to discharge on the eve of trial. | 在上庭前一天 想换律师了 |
[02:13] | Your Honor, I am anxious for my day in court. | 法官阁下 我其实很迫不及待要上庭啊 |
[02:17] | I’m looking forward to seeing 12 open minds in that box, | 我很期待看看陪审席上的12位开明人士 |
[02:21] | because I don’t see one when you’re sitting, | 因为你出庭的时候 我一个都没见着 |
[02:23] | and I don’t have one sitting here with me. | 更没有一个开明人士坐在我旁边 |
[02:25] | Well, here’s my problem, Mr. Litch. | 好吧 Litch先生 是我的问题 |
[02:28] | I’m all out of public defenders. | 我这儿没有公共辩护律师了 |
[02:30] | Every available one, you fired. | 所有能出庭的律师 都被你换下了 |
[02:34] | I’ll do it. | 我来做 |
[02:39] | Attorney Edwin Poole, Your Honor, of Crane, Poole & Schmidt. | 法官阁下 我是Crane Poole Schmidt律师行的Edwin Poole律师 |
[02:43] | I’ll represent Mr. Litch. | 我来替Litch先生辩护 |
[02:45] | You’re the Edwin Poole? | 你就是Edwin Poole? |
[02:46] | Indeed. | 没错 |
[02:47] | From Crane, Poole & Schmidt? | Crane Poole&Schmidt律师行的? |
[02:49] | Indeed. | 没错 |
[02:50] | And you’re offering to defend this man. | 你主动要为这位先生辩护 |
[02:52] | Yes. | 是的 |
[02:55] | Mr. Litch, I will give you a new attorney. | Litch先生 给你分个新律师 |
[02:58] | What I will not give you is additional time. | 但我不会再给你多余的时间了 |
[03:01] | This trial will begin tomorrow… | 明天就开庭… |
[03:02] | May I be heard on bail, Judge? | 法官阁下 我可以保释出庭吗? |
[03:04] | No, you may not. 10:00 tomorrow. | 不 不行 明早10点开庭 |
[03:05] | Defendant stays in custody. | 被告人回监禁室 |
[03:07] | We are adjourned. | 现在休庭 |
[03:11] | Hello, Mr. Criminal. | 罪犯先生 你好 |
[03:12] | We can talk back in custody. | 我们可以回监禁室谈 |
[03:14] | Incidentally, what are you charged with? | 问一下 你为什么被指控? |
[03:16] | Murder. | 谋杀 |
[03:17] | You got yourself a top-of-the-line criminal. | 你给自己找了个最高级的刑事案哦 |
[03:23] | 波士顿法律 | |
[04:01] | – He did what? – He took a case. | – 他做了什么? – 他接了个案子 |
[04:02] | Left the hospital, went into criminal session, and took a case. | 自行出院 闯进刑事庭 接了个案子 |
[04:05] | – We need you to get down there. – Whoa. | – 我们需要你去接管 – 哇 |
[04:07] | No, never mind “whoa.” | 别 可别说”哇” |
[04:08] | – I do not do criminal law. – I can’t go. I’m in trial. | – 我不做刑事案 – 我不能去啊 我的案子正在开庭审理 |
[04:10] | – We have lots of other lawyers. – You used to be a D.A. | – 还有其他很多律师啊 – 你过去做过地方法院检察官啊 |
[04:12] | – You can do it. – What about Alan Shore? He’s… | – 你可以的啊 – Alan Shore呢? 他… |
[04:13] | Lewiston needs him for something else. | Lewiston有别的事让他做 |
[04:14] | I need you to get down there, please. | 我需要你过去下 拜托 |
[04:16] | He is sitting in a jail cell. | 他现在就坐在监狱的小单间里 |
[04:19] | What do you mean he’s sitting in a jail cell? | 你这话什么意思? |
[04:21] | He walked back into custody, went into the cell. | Edwin去了监禁室 进了单人牢房 |
[04:23] | There he sits with the client, happily so. | 他和委托人坐着聊的可开心了 |
[04:26] | Please get down there. | 请过去一下吧 |
[04:33] | So what’s it about? | 这次是关于什么的? |
[04:34] | I have no idea. | 我不知道啊 |
[04:35] | Well, if you need a second chair, | 好吧 如果你需要个二把手 |
[04:37] | it would be nice for Paul Lewiston to know that I exist. | 一定得让Paul Lewiston知道我的存在啊 |
[04:39] | – Denny Crane. – You got it. | – Denny Crane – 说得好 |
[04:54] | What can I do for you? | 有什么可以为您效劳的? |
[04:55] | Thank you. Please have a seat. | 谢谢 请坐 |
[05:15] | We represent a company, the CEO | 我们代表一家公司 |
[05:19] | of which is in need of immediate legal assistance. | 它的执行总裁需要即刻的法律援助 |
[05:23] | Lee Tyler, brilliant woman. | 是Lee Tyler 百万富女 |
[05:25] | Kind woman. | 人很不错 |
[05:27] | Also a kleptomaniac. | 不过有盗窃癖 |
[05:29] | She’s about to go on trial tomorrow for stealing a $200 scarf. | 她被指控偷一条200美元的围巾 明天开庭 |
[05:32] | It’s ordinarily a small matter. Here’s why it’s not. | 本来是件很普通的小事 但现在有变 |
[05:36] | If she gets convicted of this crime, | 如果她被判有罪 |
[05:37] | she violates a morals clause in her contract. | 就违反了合同上一项道德条款 |
[05:40] | She’s out as CEO, | 她就做不成执行总裁了 |
[05:43] | and since she’s the one who hired us, | 因为她是雇佣我们的人 |
[05:44] | we stand to lose our biggest client. | 如果败诉 我们将失去最大的客户 |
[05:50] | We have… | 我们已经… |
[05:51] | exhausted all conventional means to make this go away. | 用尽所有常规方法避免这种结局 |
[05:58] | We have failed. | 还是失败了 |
[06:01] | We now need an attorney with experience in, perhaps… | 我们现在需要一位律师 他能够 怎么说… |
[06:08] | unconventional means. | 用点非常规方法 |
[06:15] | I don’t care. | 我不管 |
[06:17] | You don’t care? | 您不管? |
[06:18] | He basically escaped from a mental facility. | 他根本就是从精神病院逃出来的啊 |
[06:21] | Objection. | 反对 |
[06:22] | You’re talking as if I’m not even in the room. It’s inappropriate. | 你们直接在我面前说这些话 这不合适 |
[06:25] | No offense, Edwin, but you shouldn’t be in the room. | Edwin 我无意冒犯 但你确实不该在这儿啊 |
[06:27] | You should still be in the hospital. | 你应该继续待在医院 |
[06:28] | Look, Ms. Colson, | 听着 Colson小姐 |
[06:29] | your firm took this case. | 你们律师行接了这个案子 |
[06:30] | If Edwin Poole lacks capacity to try it, then it falls to you. | 如果Edwin Poole无法胜任 那就你来吧 |
[06:34] | Me? I don’t practice criminal law. | 我? 我不接刑事案的 |
[06:36] | Counsel, I have had it. | 辩护律师 我知道啊 |
[06:38] | This case has been perversely delayed. | 这个案子已经延期很久了 |
[06:41] | I’ve had a widow and her two children show up for trial four times, | 有个寡妇和她两个小孩已经在庭上出现过4次了 |
[06:44] | only to have it put off. | 每次都无功而返 |
[06:45] | I won’t delay it another day. | 不能再延期了 |
[06:47] | If he can’t do it, then you will. | 他不行 就你来 |
[06:49] | Now, I suggest you get back there and meet your client. | 现在 我建议你回去 见见你的委托人 |
[06:57] | He pulls me over for running this stop sign, | 他跟我比停的手势 让我靠路边停车 |
[06:59] | and I got this dime bag of coke, you know, so… | 我当时带着一小袋可卡因 所以就… |
[07:02] | I stuff it under my seat so he can’t see it. | 我把它放到座位下面 这样他就看不见了 |
[07:04] | I also got my gun under there. | 我把枪也放那儿了 |
[07:06] | He’s a drug dealer. | 他是个毒贩子 |
[07:08] | Continue. | 继续 |
[07:10] | So he comes to the window | 然后他就来到车窗旁 |
[07:12] | and gives me this and that about road safety and all that, | 和我扯了一堆道路安全什么的 |
[07:15] | and then he tells me to step out of the car, | 然后就让我下车 |
[07:17] | and suddenly, I’m thinking, damn, he’s gonna search it, | 我的第一想法是 该死 他会搜到的 |
[07:20] | and two priors for intent, I’m a dead man. | 加上两次故意伤害的前科 我会被判死刑的 |
[07:22] | That’s strike three. | 再三想了想 |
[07:23] | It’s a life sentence. | 会是无期徒刑啊 |
[07:24] | So I panicked. | 所以我就慌了 |
[07:25] | I reached under the seat, | 我把手伸到座位下面 |
[07:27] | I grabbed the gun, and I shot him. | 拿了枪 就向他开了 |
[07:36] | Sorry… | 抱歉… |
[07:38] | Continue. | 继续 |
[07:39] | I panicked. | 我当时慌了 |
[07:40] | I don’t even remember it. I’m telling you the truth. | 我啥都不记得了 我说的是事实啊 |
[07:43] | In one second, I’m thinking life sentence, | 前一秒我还想着无期徒刑 |
[07:45] | and the next thing, I’m squeezing the trigger. | 下一秒我就扣了扳机 |
[07:48] | – And then what happened? – Well, I drove off, | – 然后呢? – 我就开车跑了 |
[07:50] | and I’m seeing on the news how they had this big manhunt | 我看了新闻才知道 他们在对逃犯进行大搜捕 |
[07:52] | and they had a partial license plate, | 他们还掌握了我的部分车牌号 |
[07:54] | so I figured it was only a matter of time. | 我意识到 自己被抓就是个时间问题 |
[07:56] | One week later, my door’s busted in. | 一周后 就有人破门而入 |
[07:58] | I try to go out the window, and that’s when I got shot. | 我想从窗户逃走 当时正好被击中 |
[08:02] | Finally, I just confessed to it all in the hospital. | 最后 我在医院交代了一切 |
[08:04] | They don’t have the gun. | 他们没找到枪 |
[08:05] | No gun, no witnesses. | 没枪 没证人 |
[08:07] | They ain’t got nothing. | 他们没找到任何证据 |
[08:08] | Except your confession. | 除了你交代的证词 |
[08:11] | Yeah. | 是 |
[08:12] | Mr. Criminal, I don’t ever like to make predictions, | 罪犯先生 我一直不喜欢预言的 |
[08:16] | but I think we can get you off. | 不过我觉得我们能帮你出去 |
[08:29] | I asked her if I could look in her bag. | 我问她 我能不能看看她的包 |
[08:31] | She said to me, | 她对我说 |
[08:32] | “what right do you have?” | “你有什么权利啊?” |
[08:34] | I said, “well, ma’am, I’m a security officer for the store.” | 我就说”夫人 我是商场保安” |
[08:37] | And then what happened, sir? | 先生 然后呢? |
[08:38] | She let me look in her bag, | 她让我看了包 |
[08:40] | and there was the scarf. | 里面有那条围巾 |
[08:41] | Did she say anything? | 她有说什么吗? |
[08:42] | Said she had no idea how it got there. | 就说她也不知道围巾怎么会在那儿 |
[08:46] | Tell me, Mr. Lyne, | Lyne先生 请告诉我 |
[08:47] | from what distance did you see the accused put the scarf in her bag? | 您是在多远外看见被告将围巾放进她包里的? |
[08:50] | I didn’t actually see it myself. | 其实我自己没看见 |
[08:52] | – Oh, you didn’t see it. – No. | – 噢 您没看见 – 没有 |
[08:54] | A store clerk said she took it. | 一个商店店员说她拿了的 |
[08:56] | Ah, there we go. | 好吧 |
[08:57] | – Do you see the store clerk here today, sir? – Yes, I do. | – 那您今天在这儿看到那位店员了吗 先生? – 看到了 |
[09:00] | Miles Tibbet, sitting right over there. | Miles Tibbet 他就在那儿坐着呢 |
[09:05] | This man. He told you the defendant took the scarf. | 这个人 他跟你说被告拿了围巾 |
[09:09] | Yes, he did. | 是的 他说的 |
[09:17] | How do you feel about working undercover? | 你觉得做间谍工作如何? |
[09:19] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[09:20] | Their entire case is a store clerk. | 整个案子关键就是个店员 |
[09:23] | I want to put a private investigator on him, follow him. | 我决定派个私家侦探 跟踪他 |
[09:25] | We pick the opportunity for you to meet him, lunch, perhaps. | 我们帮你制造机会和他见面 可能是午餐 |
[09:28] | – And then what? – Denny Crane. | – 然后呢? – Denny Crane |
[09:29] | Then you order appetizers, elicit some disparaging information, | 你就点个开胃菜 说点轻蔑的话 |
[09:32] | allowing him to believe you’re anyone at all | 让他相信你 至于相信你是什么无所谓 |
[09:34] | other than the defendant’s lawyer. | 只要不是被告律师就行 |
[09:36] | Is that fair? | 这公平吗? |
[09:38] | I don’t understand the question. | 我不懂这个问题 |
[09:41] | He says he grew up watching “Perry Mason,” | 他说 他是看着”Perry Mason”(美国罪案类剧集)长大的 |
[09:43] | and he promised himself he would one day do a criminal trial. | 当时就发誓 将来一定要接个刑事案 |
[09:48] | Certainly you’re not going to let him. | 你当然不能任由他这么干 |
[09:51] | He seems to have his wits about him. | 他看起来对被告很有信心 |
[09:54] | The truth is is he’s probably more equipped than me. | 事实是 他可能比我懂更多 |
[09:57] | I think the best thing would be for me to supervise and let him first chair. | 我觉得最好的办法是 让他做第一辩护律师 我监督就行 |
[10:10] | Edwin. | Edwin啊 |
[10:12] | Paul. | 怎么了 Paul |
[10:16] | You really think you’re up to this? | 你真的觉得你能胜任? |
[10:18] | I did clinical work in law school. | 我在法律学校做过实践工作 |
[10:20] | The rules of evidence are the same as civil. | 证据法规则和民法一样 |
[10:22] | There’s no great mystery to it. | 没什么太难的 |
[10:28] | Also… | 还有… |
[10:31] | he came to me in a dream last night, | 他昨天托梦给我 |
[10:33] | and he told me to try this case. | 让我接下这个案子 |
[10:38] | God? | 上帝? |
[10:40] | Perry. | 是Perry |
[10:46] | I’ll first chair. | 我来做第一辩护 |
[11:16] | Can I help you? | 有什么能为您效劳的? |
[11:17] | Whatever’s on tap. | 随便吧 |
[11:18] | I got it. | 明白 |
[11:21] | How’s it going? | 最近如何? |
[11:24] | Fine, thank you. | 还行 谢谢 |
[11:28] | Sally. | 我叫Sally |
[11:33] | You’re… | 你… |
[11:34] | very beautiful, but I don’t… | 很漂亮 但我… |
[11:37] | do that sort of thing. | 不干那种事 |
[11:40] | What sort of thing? | 哪种事? |
[11:47] | What, you, you think I’m a hooker? | 怎么 你 你觉得我是妓女? |
[11:50] | Here you go. | 给您 |
[11:51] | Excuse me, can you throw that in this man’s face? | 抱歉 你能把这杯东西泼这男人脸上吗? |
[11:53] | I’m sorry, but… | 对不起 但是… |
[11:55] | but beautiful women don’t usually come up to me | 但是漂亮女人通常不会过来 |
[11:58] | and say hi unless… | 和我打招呼 除非是… |
[11:59] | Well, excuse me for thinking you look like a decent guy. | 亏我还觉得你看上去是个正人君子 |
[12:07] | Do you know how hard it is for a girl to just… | 你知道对一个女生来说 只是… |
[12:10] | go out for a quiet beer by herself without being attacked by wolves? | 在外面静静喝杯啤酒 不受那些色狼的打扰 有多难吗? |
[12:14] | I thought you looked safe and nice. | 我还以为 你看起来很安全 人也不错 |
[12:18] | And you call me a hooker. | 你却觉得我是妓女 |
[12:24] | Learn anything? | 了解到什么没? |
[12:25] | Only his whole life story, | 只有他整个平淡的人生经历 |
[12:27] | and no one is bidding for the movie rights, trust me. | 没有任何拍电影的商业价值 相信我 |
[12:30] | He collects autographs, has almost 1,200 of them, | 他收藏了很多亲笔签名 差不多1200个 |
[12:33] | including the entire cast of “Mamma Mia!” national tour. | 包括”妈妈咪呀”全国巡演所有演员的 |
[12:38] | Oh, yes, and he’s allergic to shellfish. Want more? | 噢 还有 他对贝类过敏 还想知道啥? |
[12:41] | Yes. This is very helpful. | 嗯 挺有用的 |
[12:47] | Hello? | 喂? |
[12:49] | It’s him. | 是他 |
[12:50] | Hi, Miles. How’s it going? | 嗨 Miles 最近如何? |
[12:53] | We would like to be able to offer you witnesses. | 我们可以给出证人 |
[12:55] | Unfortunately, there were only two. | 不过 只有两位 |
[12:58] | One’s dead, and the other’s on trial. | 一个死了 另一个在受审 |
[13:01] | The good news is he confessed, | 好消息是他认罪了 |
[13:03] | though he now wants to recant. | 但是他现在又想翻供 |
[13:05] | You will hear from the officer who listened to that confession, | 听他认罪的警官都了解 |
[13:08] | and you will find it reliable. | 听过的人都会觉得 这份证词很可信 |
[13:10] | You will find it consistent with the truth, | 和事实十分吻合 |
[13:13] | the truth that on July 17th, | 事实就是 7月17日 |
[13:15] | the defendant Warren Litch shot dead officer Michael Deveraux. | 被告人Warren Litch向Michael Deveraux警官开枪 他殉职了 |
[13:31] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[13:32] | My name is Lori Colson… | 我叫Lori Colson… |
[13:33] | Your Honor, at this time, I would like to discharge counsel. | 法官阁下 现在 我想更换辩护律师 |
[13:36] | – Denied. – In that case, it should be known | – 驳回 – 这个案子 至少大家该知道 |
[13:38] | that this woman didn’t even bother to meet me until yesterday. | 这个女人知道昨天才见了我一面 |
[13:41] | My own lawyer, she didn’t even know my name. | 我自己的律师 她甚至连我名字都不知道 |
[13:43] | She is unprofessional, she is unprepared, | 她一点都不专业 她根本没准备好 |
[13:46] | and on top of that, she’s fleshy. | 最重要的是 她胖 |
[13:48] | I want me a thin, wiry attorney, somebody hungry for justice. | 我想要一个瘦瘦的律师 一个追求正义的人 |
[13:51] | Motion for new counsel denied. | 驳回更换辩护律师提议 |
[13:54] | May I have a moment with my client, Your Honor? | 法官阁下 我能和我的委托人说两句话吗? |
[13:57] | Please. | 请 |
[14:00] | What the hell was that? | 刚才到底怎么回事? |
[14:02] | I didn’t like the look of the jury. | 我不喜欢陪审团脸上的表情 |
[14:03] | I was going for a mistrial. | 我想争取无效审判 |
[14:04] | Well, you didn’t get one, did you? | 你就没得到过 是吧? |
[14:06] | All you did was alienate them and undermine me in the process. | 你所做的行为就是在疏远陪审团并且诋毁我 |
[14:09] | Do you want to go to prison? | 你是想进监狱吗? |
[14:11] | Lady, I’m going to prison. | 女士 我就要进监狱了 |
[14:13] | I shot a cop. | 我开枪杀死了一个警察 |
[14:15] | No doubt I’m going to prison. | 我肯定会进监狱的 |
[14:17] | The only real living I got left is in this trial business, | 我人生最后的活头 就是这场审判了 |
[14:20] | and I’m happy to stretch it out forever. | 我很希望能把它延续到永远 |
[14:24] | You think this is some game for you, to have your last joyride? | 这对你来说就是一场游戏 可以最后不顾后果的玩一场? |
[14:29] | I killed a man, Miss Colson. | Colson小姐 我杀了一个人啊 |
[14:33] | And I see his widow sitting in there, and I see his kids. | 我看着他遗孀坐在那儿 我看着他孩子 |
[14:36] | I know this ain’t no game. | 我知道这不是游戏 |
[14:40] | Son… | 孩子… |
[14:41] | if I might ask… | 我想问… |
[14:45] | why did you call her fleshy? | 你为什么要说她胖? |
[14:47] | I was just trying to humanize her. | 我只是想给她加点人气 |
[14:49] | Juries don’t like beautiful women. | 陪审团不喜欢漂亮女人 |
[14:53] | You think I’m fleshy? | 你觉得我胖? |
[14:56] | Is there any deal to be made here, a plea? | 还有回旋余地 还能辩护吗? |
[14:59] | They don’t need to deal, Warren. You confessed. | Warren 他们没必要回旋 你已经认罪了 |
[15:02] | Another curious strategic move. | 又一个奇怪的战略行动 |
[15:03] | I only confessed because they tricked me. | 他们耍了我 我才认罪的 |
[15:10] | What do you mean, they tricked you? | 你这话什么意思? |
[15:12] | They got the doctor to tell me I was about to die, | 他们让医生告诉我 我快死了 |
[15:15] | and then they sent in this cop undercover | 然后他们送进来个警察 |
[15:16] | pretending to be the hospital chaplain, | 假扮成医院牧师 |
[15:18] | and he laid it on thick with the whole confess thy sins | 他骗我说 只有坦白所有的罪恶 |
[15:22] | or there’s no heaven for me. | 我才能上天堂 |
[15:24] | They told you you were dying to get you to confess? | 他们告诉你 你快死了 以此让你认罪? |
[15:27] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[15:34] | And then he pointed to me, right in open court. | 然后他就在公开法庭上 这样指着我 |
[15:36] | What’d you do? | 然后你呢? |
[15:37] | I just tried to sit straight and undaunted. | 我就只能坐得笔直 装作不怕 |
[15:40] | The chief witness for the prosecution, you know. | 原告的重要证人 |
[15:42] | Isn’t it exciting? | 那不是很刺激? |
[15:43] | It is. | 嗯 |
[15:44] | I… | 我… |
[15:47] | I even invited a few of my friends to, you know, come watch. | 我甚至还邀请了我几个朋友 你明白吧 来看审判 |
[15:51] | – You did? – It’s silly, I know, but this is the first time | – 你请人? – 我知道这很蠢 但是这是我第一次 |
[15:54] | I’ve been at the center of, of anything. | 站在中央 不论是什么中央 |
[15:57] | I’m sure you’ll do fine. | 你肯定会做得很好 |
[15:58] | – Really? – Mm. | – 真的? – 嗯 |
[15:59] | Yeah. I, I don’t think I’ll get too nervous. | 对 我 我想自己不会太紧张 |
[16:02] | I take beta blockers for anxiety. | 我一直服用β-受体阻滞药来缓解焦虑 |
[16:07] | Retail must be very stressful. | 零售业一定压力很大 |
[16:09] | Yes, but I love it. | 是啊 但是我喜欢 |
[16:16] | Listen, um, you’re probably wondering why I asked you to lunch. | 听着 嗯 你可能很奇怪 我为什么要请你吃午餐 |
[16:20] | I just… | 我只是… |
[16:25] | I, I don’t meet too many women. | 我 我没和几个女人见过面 |
[16:28] | It’s not what you think, I swear. | 我发誓 不是你想的那样 |
[16:29] | I’m not about to ask you out on a date or anything, | 我不是想邀你约会什么的 |
[16:32] | but I did want to tell you | 我只是想告诉你 |
[16:37] | how much last night meant to me. | 昨晚对我来说意义重大 |
[16:42] | What did it mean? We drank beer. | 有什么意义? 我们就喝了点啤酒 |
[16:48] | Sally… | 但是Sally… |
[16:50] | for, for a beautiful woman to talk to me | 就 就一个漂亮女人 主动和我说话 |
[16:55] | for three hours as if… | 我们聊了三个小时 就好像… |
[16:59] | I were an interesting person, | 我是个有趣的人 |
[17:01] | as if my life were interesting… | 好像我的生活很有趣… |
[17:06] | that meant something to me. | 这对我意义重大 |
[17:10] | That’s really all I wanted to say. I, | 我就想说这些 我 |
[17:13] | I’m grateful. | 我很感激 |
[17:16] | Cheers. | 干杯 |
[17:23] | Denny. | Denny啊 |
[17:25] | I need you at 12:30. It’ll take five minutes, tops. | 我需要你12点半来一下 顶多就5分钟 |
[17:28] | I need to trade a little on your prominence, your heft. | 我想利用一下你的声望 你的分量 |
[17:33] | What do you want me to do? | 你想让我干嘛? |
[17:34] | I don’t want you to do anything or say anything. | 你什么也不用说 什么也不用做 |
[17:37] | I just want you to be. | 待在那儿就行了 |
[17:38] | Be all that you can be. | 这样就够了 |
[17:40] | One of the few, the proud. | 唯一要的 就是傲气 |
[17:43] | You don’t want me to say anything? | 你不需要我说话? |
[17:45] | Just those two little words that tend to shock and awe. | 就只要说出两个字 绝对就够震撼了 |
[17:49] | Denny Crane. | 是Denny Crane |
[17:51] | Feel free to mock me all you want, but don’t you dare ridicule our troops. | 你就嘲笑我吧 但你岂敢愚弄我们 |
[17:56] | Just so I’m clear, I should feel free to mock you. | 那我就清楚了 我会多多嘲笑你的 |
[18:07] | He basically said that he panicked. | 他确实说过 他慌了 |
[18:09] | His next conviction was strike three. | 如果罪名成立 那将是他第三次被定罪了 |
[18:11] | He’d be looking at a life sentence, and he just panicked. | 等着他的会是无期徒刑 他就慌了 |
[18:14] | And by panicked, you mean… | 很慌的意思是… |
[18:16] | he reached under the seat, retrieved the weapon, | 他摸到座位下面 找到武器 |
[18:18] | and shot the officer. | 向警察开了枪 |
[18:19] | He told you he shot officer Deveraux? | 他告诉你 他向Deveraux警官开了枪? |
[18:21] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[18:23] | He asked me to forgive him, | 他让我原谅他 |
[18:25] | and he asked God to forgive him. | 让上帝原谅他 |
[18:27] | Thank you, officer. | 谢谢你 警官 |
[18:32] | Your Honor, at this time, I would… | 法官阁下 现在 我想… |
[18:33] | Sit! | 坐下! |
[18:36] | Just to remind the jury, | 我想提醒陪审团各位 |
[18:38] | at the time my client said all of this to you, | 我的委托人告诉你这些的时候 |
[18:39] | he thought he was dying. | 他以为自己快死了 |
[18:41] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[18:42] | And he thought you were the hospital chaplain? | 他以为你是医院牧师? |
[18:45] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[18:47] | Thank you, officer. | 谢谢你 警官 |
[18:51] | That’s it? | 就这样? |
[18:53] | Two questions. That was your cross? | 就两个问题 就是你的质询? |
[18:56] | I didn’t have much to cross him with, Warren. | Warren 我没有太多要质询他的 |
[18:58] | Then what was the point of your questions? | 那你问的问题有什么意义所在? |
[18:59] | – Tell me that. – I was trying to establish that you were coerced. | – 说啊 – 我只想证实 你是被迫认罪的 |
[19:03] | The judge doesn’t shock easily, but maybe the jury does. | 打动法官不容易 但打动陪审团还是有可能的 |
[19:06] | Oh, I see. You were going for shock value. | 噢 我明白了 你是想敷衍了事 |
[19:08] | Well, maybe you could have really gone for it | 但就算你真想敷衍 |
[19:10] | and asked three questions. | 至少也得问三个吧 |
[19:11] | Hey, Warren, if you’re unhappy with me… | 嘿 Warren 如果你真对我有意见… |
[19:13] | Then what? | 那又怎样? |
[19:14] | The judge isn’t gonna let me hire anybody else. | 法官不会再让我换人了 |
[19:17] | You’re all I got, lady. | 我只剩你了 女士 |
[19:22] | You’re all I got. | 我只剩你了 |
[19:35] | Well, thank you so much for coming, Alan Shore. | 很感谢您的到来 我是Alan Shore |
[19:37] | The D.A. said I didn’t have to talk to you. | 地方检察官说我可以不和你谈的 |
[19:39] | Which only compounds my gratitude for your choosing to do so. | 这话真是让我更感谢您的到来 |
[19:42] | Let’s go to my office. | 来我办公室吧 |
[19:43] | What’s this about? | 要谈什么? |
[19:44] | Well, believe it or not, it’s about your best interest, Miles. | Miles 你信不信都好 要谈的绝对是你最感兴趣的事 |
[19:46] | Gosh, my office seems so far away. | 哎呀 我办公室好像远了点 |
[19:48] | Let’s go to this one over here instead. | 来这边这间屋吧 |
[19:53] | Sally Heep, Miles Tibbet. Perhaps you’ve met. | Sally Heep 这位是Miles Tibbet 可能你们见过了 |
[19:56] | Sally gets around. She works with me. | Sally保密的很好 她和我一起工作 |
[19:58] | And certainly you’ve heard of this gentleman. | 你肯定听过这位先生了 |
[20:00] | – He needs no introdtion. – Denny Crane. | – 不用介绍了 – 我是Denny Crane |
[20:03] | Please have a seat. | 请坐 |
[20:05] | Alan… | Alan 你… |
[20:06] | Thank you, Sally, I’ll take it from here. | Sally 谢谢你 现在我来接手 |
[20:07] | You’ve done more than your share. | 你做得够多了 |
[20:09] | Let’s make this brief, Miles. | Miles 咱们长话短说 |
[20:10] | We represent a woman who is charged with stealing a scarf | 我们正在为一位女士辩护 她被指控从你工作的商店 |
[20:14] | from the store where you work, | 偷了一条围巾 |
[20:15] | which is precisely what she did. You saw the whole thing. | 这个指控正确无误 你目睹了全过程 |
[20:17] | So we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place, Miles. | Miles 我们现在是骑虎难下 进退不得 |
[20:20] | The rock being our client, CEO of a fortune 500 company | 后有我们的委托人 财富500强的执行宗祠 |
[20:23] | who has made it abundantly clear the only acceptable verdict is not guilty. | 她已经明确表示 唯一接受的判决就是无罪 |
[20:27] | And the hard place being you, Miles, the eyewitness. | 前又有你 Miles 这个目击证人 |
[20:30] | But maybe you aren’t so hard after all? Am I right? | 但或许你也不那么难突破吧? 对吧? |
[20:35] | I’m not sure what you want. | 我不知道你想干吗 |
[20:36] | Sally has given me some information which, regrettably, | Sally透露给我了一些信息 很遗憾 |
[20:38] | I’m ethically required to attack you with in court. | 我必须在法庭上与您对峙 |
[20:40] | For example, since I know you take beta blockers for your anxiety, | 例如 既然我知道你服用β-受体阻滞药来缓解焦虑 |
[20:44] | some possible side effects being dizziness, confusion, | 很可能会有头晕眼花 记忆混乱的副作用 |
[20:47] | I am duty bound to raise it. | 我对此有举证责任 |
[20:49] | Also, the idea that you invited | 还有 你邀请了 |
[20:51] | a few friends down to the courthouse to hear you testify… | 一些朋友来法庭听你作证这件事… |
[20:53] | It would be malpractice for me not to make a small snack of that. | 我要是不对此做些文章 那可就是失职了 |
[20:56] | Of course, I’ll have to get into your inferiority complex and | 当然 我还得说说你内心深处的自卑 还有 |
[20:59] | staff about “If the girl smiles, she must be a hooker” that sort of thing. | 诸如”如果女孩对我笑 她肯定是个妓女”这种事情 |
[21:03] | But I never said… | 但我从没说过… |
[21:04] | I’m talking, Miles. | Miles 我还没说完 |
[21:04] | Alan… | Alan 你… |
[21:05] | I’m talking, Sally. | Sally 我还没说完 |
[21:05] | You collect autographs, Miles. That must be fun. | 你收集签名 Miles 那肯定很有趣 |
[21:08] | Standing around on cold, drizzly nights | 寒冷 下着小雨的夜晚 你站在外面等待 |
[21:10] | waiting for famous people to give you a cursory glance, | 可能如果那些名人怜悯你 |
[21:12] | a moment of their time, perhaps, if they take pity on you. | 还匆匆瞥你一眼 或抽出点时间给你签名 |
[21:15] | Do people often take pity on you, Miles? | Miles 他们经常怜悯你吗? |
[21:17] | It wouldn’t surprise me. I’m seeing a pattern here. | 对此我可不惊奇 我总结出来了 |
[21:19] | Pity, anxiety, inferiority all those “-ity” words. | 可怜 焦虑 自卑 所有的贬义词 |
[21:23] | – This isn’t fair! – You’re right, it’s not. | – 这不公平! – 你说对了 不公平 |
[21:25] | But you have a job to do and so do I. | 但你有你的工作 我也有我的 |
[21:30] | Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. | 你的工作就是卖卖袜子和吊裤带 |
[21:34] | Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them. | 我的则是反复盘问你这种人 粉碎他们的心防 |
[21:40] | This man here would fire me if I didn’t. | 我不这样 这儿的这个人会解雇我 |
[21:42] | Denny Crane. | 我是Denny Crane |
[21:43] | He would fire me, Miles, | Miles 他会解雇我的 |
[21:45] | if I didn’t explore every nuance and shadow of your personality, | 除非我挖掘出你人性中所有的小缺点 阴暗面 |
[21:50] | every secret place and insufficiency in the hours | 你坐在证人席上时 |
[21:53] | that you will spend in that witness chair, Miles, | 在所有受邀前来的朋友面前 Miles |
[21:55] | in front of all those friends you invited. | 所有的秘密和不足将被分享 |
[21:57] | And when I’m finished with you, | 我问完这些 |
[21:59] | even they will believe you are a vindictive, pathetic little sycophant | 连他们都会相信 可怜的小马屁精 你是在报复 |
[22:03] | who has falsely accused, | 你控告错了 |
[22:04] | and probably framed a fine woman | 甚至可能是故意陷害一个好女人 |
[22:06] | for something she never did and never would do | 她根本就没做过这种事 也根本不会去做 |
[22:09] | only so that you could get, at long last, your moment of attention. | 完全只是你为了终于能引起别人注意而做的 |
[22:12] | By the time I’m done, | 说完那些后 |
[22:13] | I’ll have you believing you put that scarf in her handbag. | 我会让你自己相信 是你把围巾放进她包里的 |
[22:29] | Lee Tyler can afford to hire any attorney in the world. | Lee Tyler雇得起世界上任何一位律师 |
[22:33] | She’s chosen me. | 她却选择了我 |
[22:35] | Do you wonder if I’m any good, Miles? | Miles 你知道我有什么好吗? |
[22:40] | Do you really wonder? | 你真想知道吗? |
[23:02] | – May I speak with you a moment? – I don’t wanna speak with you, Alan. | – 我能跟你谈谈吗? – Alan 我不想和你说话 |
[23:06] | – If I told you Miles was coming… – I do not want to speak with you. | – 如果我事先告诉你Miles会来… – 我不想和你讲话 |
[23:11] | Can you please walk away? | 你能走开吗? |
[23:20] | Sally, that was not a pleasant meeting. | Sally 这次会面是挺不愉快的 |
[23:23] | Typically, when associates are unhappy, I give them a hug. | 通常 同事不开心的时候 我会奉送一个拥抱 |
[23:28] | I don’t want a hug, Mr. Crane. | Crane先生 我不需要拥抱 |
[23:30] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[23:32] | May I have one? | 我能要一个吗? |
[23:39] | They told me that he was religious, | 他们告诉我 他信教 |
[23:43] | that maybe if he though the was about to die, | 可能如果他以为自己快死了 |
[23:46] | his conscience would get the better of him. | 就会良心发现 |
[23:49] | So you told Mr. Litch was dying. | 所以你告诉Litch先生 他快死了 |
[23:51] | Yeah. I’m not proud of it, | 是的 我不会以此为傲 |
[23:53] | but I probably should have… | 但是我可能本应该… |
[23:54] | And, Doctor, did you also hear Mr. Litch | 那么 医生 你也有听到Litch先生 |
[23:59] | confess to killing Officer Deveraux? | 承认杀死了Deveraux警官? |
[24:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:03] | You’re sure? | 你确定? |
[24:04] | I’m very positive. | 我很肯定 |
[24:06] | Thank you, Doctor. | 医生 谢谢您 |
[24:14] | Okay, how long had he treated you before… | 好吧 那他给你治了多久病才… |
[24:17] | In fact, you told him he had less than an hour to live. | 实际上 你告诉他的是 他只有不到一个小时生命了 |
[24:21] | Yes. | 没错 |
[24:22] | You lied to your own patient? | 你对自己的病人撒谎? |
[24:24] | They told me that he had murdered a police officer… | 他们告诉我 他谋杀了一位警官… |
[24:27] | As a result of this despicable conduct, | 就这个卑劣的行为 |
[24:30] | were you disciplined by the hospital? | 医院有处罚你吗? |
[24:32] | My privileges were suspended for three months. | 我的执照被吊销了三个月 |
[24:35] | And you’re back in the E.R. now. | 你现在回到了急诊室 |
[24:36] | No, no. | 没 没有 |
[24:37] | I’ve started my residency in the neurology department. | 我开始在神经科实习 |
[24:41] | Your specialty is the brain. | 你的专长是脑科 |
[24:42] | – Yes. – Doctor, as a neurologist, | – 没错 – 医生 作为一个神经科专家 |
[24:44] | how does trauma and extensive blood loss affect the brain? | 你应该知道外伤和大量失血对脑部的影响吧? |
[24:48] | Uh, sometimes it can compromise mental function. | 呃 有时会危及神经机能 |
[24:52] | Can it cause a person to become delusional? | 它会让人产生错觉吗? |
[24:54] | I don’t believe he was delusional that night. | 我相信那天晚上他没有产生错觉 |
[24:56] | – Did he suffer trauma and extensive blood loss? – Yes. | – 他有受外伤并且大量失血吗? – 有啊 |
[25:00] | Yes, he, he did, but I… | 有 他 他有 但是我… |
[25:02] | Can you state to a medical certainty that he was not delusional? | 你能做出医学诊断 说明他没有产生错觉吗? |
[25:10] | No. | 不能 |
[25:18] | One last question and this one I ask you as a layperson, a human being. | 最后一个问题 这次请你作为一个外行 一个普通人来回答 |
[25:23] | Is it conceivable to you that if you had a loved one who had panicked | 你听听这样可能吗 如果你深爱的人 他因为慌张 |
[25:28] | and committed a horrible crime, say, murder… | 犯下了大罪 比如说 谋杀… |
[25:30] | If somebody you cared deeply for, perhaps a brother, best friend, | 如果这个人是你很关心的人 可能是兄弟 好朋友 |
[25:34] | maybe your son had done thihorrible thing, | 可能是你儿子 他做了这样的事情 |
[25:36] | and you lay in a hospital bed dying, | 而你躺在医院的床上 快死了 |
[25:41] | is it conceivable that knowing you were dying, | 是否有可能 你知道自己快死了 |
[25:44] | you might take the blame for something you didn’t do | 就背下自己没做过的罪名 担下无期徒刑 |
[25:48] | just to spare your loved one a life sentence? | 来救你深爱的人? |
[25:51] | – Objection! – Sustained. | – 反对! – 反对有效 |
[25:52] | Did it ever occur to you that night, Doctor? | 医生 那晚你有想过吗? |
[25:53] | Warren Litch said he committed the crime | Warren Litch说他承认罪行 |
[25:55] | simply to protect somebody else? | 只是为了保护别人? |
[25:59] | No. No, it didn’t. | 没 没有 没想过 |
[26:05] | I bet it never occurred to the police, either. | 我打赌 警方肯定也没有想过 |
[26:13] | Nothing further. | 我没有问题了 |
[26:21] | Mr. Preston? | Preston先生? |
[26:23] | The prosecution rests, Your Honor. | 法官阁下 原告请求休庭 |
[26:27] | Ms. Colson? | Colson小姐? |
[26:32] | The defense rests, Your Honor. | 法官阁下 被告同意休庭 |
[26:40] | How do I not get in that chair? | 我为什么不能坐上那个椅子? |
[26:42] | Edwin did a good job. | Edwin做得很好啊 |
[26:44] | If I don’t say I didn’t do it, they’re not… | 如果我不说我没做那件事 他们不会… |
[26:46] | – I can’t put you in that chair. – Why? | – 我不能让你坐到证人席 – 为什么? |
[26:48] | Because you did do it, | 因为你确实做了 |
[26:49] | and I can’t put a witness in the chair to lie. | 我不能放一个证人去撒谎 |
[26:51] | I have a right to testify. | 我有权作证 |
[26:53] | But it would have to be in the narrative. | 但必须是陈述性证词 |
[26:55] | Best case scenario, you’ll trip all over yourself. | 最好的情况是 你自己把自己绕进去 |
[26:58] | Worst case, one of the jurors will know why it’s in the narrative. | 最差的是 陪审员知道了为什么证词是陈述性的 |
[27:01] | And why can’t you ask me questions that would allow… | 那为什么不能是你问我问题 来让… |
[27:03] | Because I can’t. | 因为我不能 |
[27:05] | We have rules, Warren. | Warren 我们有规矩的 |
[27:07] | One is I cannot put you up there to knowingly lie. | 其中一条就是我不能明知你要撒谎 还让你上去 |
[27:10] | Our best strategy here would be to argue | 我们现在最好的策略就是反驳说 |
[27:12] | the prosecution didn’t satisfy its burden. | 控方没有履行其义务 |
[27:14] | This is my life on the line here, | 现在是我命悬一线啊 |
[27:19] | and you keep talking about a system of rules and regulations? | 你还在这儿扯什么规章制度? |
[27:22] | I’m in this for my life here. | 我现在这样是在争取自己的生命啊 |
[27:25] | And you’re supposed to be in this for my life, too. | 你也应该这样争取我的生命 |
[27:30] | Well, I’m not. | 我不会 |
[27:32] | Don’t get me wrong, I will give you the very best defense I know how, | 别让我走错路 我会用我所知最好的方法帮你辩护 |
[27:36] | but I will not allow myself to be in this for you. | 但我决不允许自己那样帮你 |
[27:40] | I will play my part in a system | 我会用自己忠诚的方式 |
[27:42] | that I have an enormous allegiance to, | 做好自己的事 |
[27:44] | but I will never be in this for you. | 我绝不会用那种方法帮你 |
[28:03] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[28:07] | That was pretty awesome today, Edwin. | Edwin 今天真是让人敬畏啊 |
[28:11] | People forget I’m a brilliant trial attorney. | 人们都忘了我是个很棒的公诉人出庭律师 |
[28:14] | I can be nuts and still brilliant. | 我是疯子 但仍可以很出色 |
[28:18] | How do you feel about closing? | 结案陈词你想怎么办? |
[28:21] | If you can close like you crossed, then… | 如果你能像交叉质询一样陈词 那么… |
[28:23] | That was Perry’s strength, you know, the closing. | 结案陈词 那是Perry的特长 |
[28:27] | What do you think? | 那你的想法呢? |
[28:29] | I told the man I’d get him a “not guilty,” | 我告诉那个人 我会让他”无罪释放” |
[28:31] | I might as well see it through. | 我最好还是坚持到底 |
[28:37] | It’s hard, isn’t it? | 很难 是吗? |
[28:39] | What is? | 什么? |
[28:41] | Coming to care for a person who committed such a heinous act. | 这么一个可恶的人 却还要却关心他 |
[28:46] | It’s hard to reconcile what we do and who we are sometimes. | 很难调整好我们的作为和我们的角色 |
[28:52] | I don’t care about him. | 我不关心他 |
[28:55] | I’m just doing a job. | 我只是在工作 |
[29:01] | You know, in Perry’s closings, he would point to the real killer. | Perry做结案陈词的时候 他通常直指真正的凶手 |
[29:08] | I don’t suppose I should do that, should I? | 不是说我就该那么做 是吧? |
[29:34] | Tibbet’s a good man, Alan, decent. | Alan啊 Tibbet是个好人 很好的人 |
[29:36] | He was just doing his job. | 他只是在尽本分 |
[29:39] | Yes, he was, and so were you, and so was I. | 没错 他是 你也是 我也一样 |
[29:42] | And after ambushing him, you can just shake it off? | 这么埋伏了他后 你就准备甩掉他了? |
[29:45] | I’m not shaking anything off. | 我没有甩掉任何东西 |
[29:46] | Miles Tibbet had a very bad day. | Miles Tibbet今天过得很糟糕 |
[29:49] | I had a bad day, too, Alan. | Alan 我过得也很糟糕 |
[29:52] | I was taken advantage of. | 我被人利用 |
[29:54] | Or don’t you considersending me | 还是你根本没想过我这是在 |
[29:56] | to go hit on some guy at a bartaking advantage? | 不明不白的就把别人耍了? |
[29:58] | It has nothing to do with what I consider. | 这跟我需要考虑的事根本没关系 |
[30:00] | Whatever. | 随便你说 |
[30:03] | It’s not the kind of thing you ask of someone that you care about. | 这种事情 你就不会让你在乎的人做 |
[30:10] | Do you care about me, Alan? | Alan 你在乎我吗? |
[30:13] | I care a great deal for you. | 我非常 非常在乎你 |
[30:16] | That’s why I’m gonna give you some very sound advice. | 所以我要给你个非常可靠的建议 |
[30:23] | Run. | 逃出去吧 |
[30:25] | – What? – This is a bad business. | – 什么? – 这不是个好地方 |
[30:28] | It is an often filthy, | 可以说是下流 |
[30:30] | dehumanizing, mean-spirited job. | 没有人性 卑鄙的工作 |
[30:33] | I assure you I take no pleasure in it. | 我跟你保证 我一点都不乐于这样 |
[30:36] | It just comes easily to me. | 只是对我来说很容易 |
[30:38] | But… | 但是… |
[30:42] | You… | 你… |
[30:49] | are not that way. | 不是这条道上的 |
[30:52] | So I suggest you think long and hard | 我建议你认真 仔细地想想 |
[30:57] | about whether you really wanna wake up every morning, | 你是否真的想每天早上起床 |
[31:02] | with all the promise that morning conveys, | 带着清晨的清新承诺 |
[31:08] | and come here. | 来到这里 |
[31:14] | Which I say to you… | 我这样对你说… |
[31:16] | only because I care. | 只是因为我在乎 |
[31:20] | You are such a liar, | 你这个大骗子 |
[31:23] | pretending that this stuff doesn’t affect you, | 假装这种事情不会影响你 |
[31:28] | that you can just brush it off. | 你可以对此不理不睬 |
[31:32] | I’m afraid I can. | 恐怕我可以 |
[31:51] | You heard from witness Frank Simmons, | 你们听过证人Frank Simmons的证词了 |
[31:52] | who saw an SUV speed by him | 他在案发时左右 离现场一公里处 |
[31:55] | a mile from the scene around the time of the murder | 看见一辆越野车超过他 |
[31:58] | with a license plate beginning with “3L6.” | 牌照是”3L6″开头的 |
[32:01] | Mr. Litch’s SUV has a license plate beginning with “3L6”. | Litch先生的越野车的牌照就是”3L6″开头的 |
[32:06] | And when the police entered the defendant’s apartment, | 当警方闯入被告家中时 |
[32:08] | what did he do? | 他怎么做的? |
[32:09] | He didn’t ask, “what’s this about?” | 他没有问”这是怎么了?” |
[32:11] | He didn’t say, “hey, what’s going on?” | 他没有说”嘿 这是在干吗?” |
[32:13] | He knew exactly why they were there. | 他非常清楚 他们为什么会来 |
[32:16] | And he immediately began his escape. | 他立马开始逃跑 |
[32:18] | And then, in the hospital, he confessed. | 然后在医院 他认罪了 |
[32:21] | It wasn’t a delusional confession. | 这不是错觉产生的认罪 |
[32:23] | He described a fact pattern which was completely consistent with the crime. | 他描述的案件过程 完全与犯罪过程吻合 |
[32:27] | The defendant admitted that he was afraid of yet | 被告承认了 他害怕另一项 |
[32:30] | another drug conviction that would land him a life sentence. | 私藏毒品罪名 让他陷入无期徒刑 |
[32:33] | He panicked, pulled out a gun, and fired. | 他慌了 拿出手枪 开火 |
[32:38] | Now his lawyer suggests | 现在他的律师却说 |
[32:40] | he was perhaps delusional when he confessed, | 他认罪的时候 可能产生了错觉 |
[32:42] | or that he simply lied to protect the real killer, a friend or loved one. | 或者他只是为了保护真正的凶手而撒谎 那个人可能是他朋友 或深爱的人 |
[32:46] | Desperate suggestions for a desperate client. | 为一个令人绝望的委托人说出的令人绝望的借口 |
[32:50] | It’s insulting to this court, to you, | 这对这个法庭 对你们 |
[32:53] | and especially to that woman and her two children. | 特别是对这位女士和她的两个孩子 都是一种侮辱 |
[32:57] | Warren Litch murdered her husband. | Warren Litch谋杀了她的丈夫 |
[32:59] | Warren Litch killed their father. | Warren Litch谋杀了他们的父亲 |
[33:02] | He admitted to the police that he did so. | 他已经向警方承认了自己的所作所为 |
[33:06] | Let’s not waste any more time. | 不要再浪费时间了 |
[33:24] | Edwin. | 嘿 Edwin |
[33:26] | It’s your turn. | 该你了 |
[33:30] | I fell asleep last night and forgot to prepare a closing. | 我昨晚睡着了 忘了准备结案陈词了 |
[33:35] | I meant to tell you. | 我本想告诉你的 |
[33:36] | You don’t have a closing? | 你没准备结案陈词? |
[33:38] | No, do you? | 没有 你呢? |
[33:40] | Counsel? | 律师们? |
[33:42] | Edwin, you’ve got nothing? | Edwin 你什么都没准备? |
[33:52] | When I was a little boy, my father said to me. | 我小时候 我爸爸对我说过的话 |
[33:56] | – I can still hear his voice. – I believe he said, | – 我现在还记忆犹新 – 我相信他说的是 |
[33:59] | “ladies first.” | “女士优先” |
[34:08] | I don’t know about you, | 我不知道你们如何 |
[34:11] | but if I hear that somebody confessed to a crime, | 但是我如果听到有人认罪了 |
[34:14] | I just assume he’s guilty. | 我就认为他有罪 |
[34:17] | But if I hear the confession is coerced, then… | 但如果我听说认罪是被迫的 那么… |
[34:23] | For example, | 打个比方 |
[34:25] | you could have a man bleeding out with a stomach wound, | 想象一下 一个肚子有伤 流着血的人 |
[34:28] | put him in a room with police and clergy | 和警察 牧师在一个房间里 |
[34:30] | who keep insisting to him that he did something, | 他们坚持认为 他做了什么坏事 |
[34:32] | and he might actually come to believe it. | 他也可能开始慢慢相信 |
[34:35] | And gee, what if it was a friend or a loved one | 苍天啊 如果是他朋友 或者深爱的人 |
[34:36] | who was driving Warren’s car that night? | 那晚开着Warren的车? |
[34:38] | That would explain why Warren was trying to flee, wouldn’t it? | 这能解释Warren为什么想逃走 对吧? |
[34:41] | He likely knew the police were coming to mistakenly arrest him. | 他很可能知道警方是弄错了 要来抓他 |
[34:45] | Did the police investigate any of this? | 警方做过有关调查吗? |
[34:47] | My god, we all assume Warren Litch is guilty, | 天啊 我们都以为Warren Litch有罪 |
[34:49] | but what if he isn’t? | 但如果他没有呢? |
[34:53] | Now let’s turn to the other evidence. | 现在看看另一个证据 |
[34:57] | Wait… | 等下… |
[34:59] | There is no other evidence. | 没有其他证据了 |
[35:01] | No gun, no witnesses, no fibers, no forensics. | 没有枪 没有证人 没有纤维 没有鉴定结果 |
[35:04] | All they have is that coerced confession. | 他们只有被迫取得的认罪词 |
[35:06] | Now, you might think he did it. | 你们现在可能以为是他做的 |
[35:09] | And if you’re determined, you can even still assume it, I suppose. | 如果还有人坚持 我想 可以继续这样想当然下去 |
[35:13] | But if you’re to uphold the law and | 但如果你维护法律 |
[35:15] | demand proof beyond all reasonable doubt, | 视证据高于一切合理怀疑 |
[35:17] | and if we don’t demand that, | 如果我们不想那样 |
[35:19] | do we really wanna send a message to the police… | 我们就等于向警方传递这样的信息… |
[35:23] | “Hey, forget the evidence. | “嘿 别管证据了 |
[35:25] | Just bring us that confession.” | 就把认罪状拿来吧” |
[35:57] | They really should give you your own office. | 他们真该给你配个单独的办公室 |
[36:07] | Evidently, the store clerk has recanted. | 显然 那个店员撤回了证言 |
[36:10] | He’s suddenly not sure he saw Lee Tyler take the scarf. | 他突然不确定 自己是否看见Tyler拿了围巾 |
[36:14] | – The case might even be dropped. – It’s a great country. | – 案子可能被撤销 – 我们的国家真伟大 |
[36:20] | The district attorney has lodged a complaint against you | 地方检察官对你提出了申诉 |
[36:23] | for witness tampering, intimidation, obstruction of justice, extortion. | 指控你干扰证人 威胁 妨碍司法公正 勒索 |
[36:27] | He should make up his mind. | 他真该好好想想了 |
[36:31] | This firm does not engage in that kind of conduct, counsel. | 律师行绝对不会做出这种行为 律师先生 |
[36:35] | We do not intimidate or blackmail. | 我们不会威胁 或者勒索 |
[36:37] | The attorney sat Crane, Poole & Schmidt | Crane Poole Schmidt律师行的律师 |
[36:40] | conduct themselves with integrity always. | 一直都行事端正 |
[36:43] | Do I make myself clear? | 我说得够清楚了吧? |
[36:46] | More than clear. | 再清楚不过了 |
[36:48] | Transparent. | 一目了然 |
[36:52] | Go. | 走吧 |
[37:00] | Mr. Shore, | Shore先生 |
[37:04] | thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[37:24] | Madam Foreperson, the jury has reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团主席 陪审团已经做出一致裁定了吗? |
[37:28] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[37:30] | Mr. Litch, please rise. | Litch先生 请起立 |
[37:35] | Madam Foreperson, what say you? | 陪审团主席 请宣读裁定结果? |
[37:37] | We the jury, | 陪审团决定 |
[37:38] | in the matter of the commonwealth of Massachusetts versus Warren Litch, | 马萨诸塞州公诉Warren Litch |
[37:42] | on the charge of first-degree murder, | 一级谋杀罪名 |
[37:45] | we find the defendant Warren Litch guilty. | 裁定被告Warren Litch有罪 |
[37:56] | Members of the jury, I would like to thank you for your service in this matter. | 各位陪审团成员 感谢大家为本案做出的努力 |
[38:00] | You are hereby excused. | 可以退庭了 |
[38:01] | Please be sure to sign out with the courtroom deputy | 请到法庭办事员处登记离开 |
[38:04] | so you are credited for your time here. | 以记下各位已履行义务 |
[38:06] | The defendant is to be retained in county until sentencing, | 宣判结果将在60天内执行 |
[38:09] | which shall be scheduled within 60 days’ time. | 先将被告遣送回郡 |
[38:12] | If that is all, then we are adjourned. | 如无异议 休庭 |
[38:15] | Listen, um, | 听着 嗯 |
[38:17] | I’ll review any grounds for appeal. | 我会看看还有没有上诉可能 |
[38:19] | The confession, I mean, there are grounds. | 这个供认 我是说 还有可能的 |
[38:21] | Okay. Okay. | 好的 好的 |
[38:23] | I’ll be in touch. I’ll order up the transcript. | 我会和你保持联络 我会申请要庭审记录 |
[38:25] | Listen, um, | 听着 呃 |
[38:28] | I thought for somebody who felt the way you felt, | 我想过你站在这个立场的感受 |
[38:31] | it was honorable for you to try your hardest. | 你能这样尽力 很让人尊敬 |
[38:34] | And I know that you did. | 我理解你的所作所为 |
[38:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:08] | Unprofessional for me not to be prepared with my closing. | 我没准备结案陈词是我失职 |
[39:13] | I think I’ll perhaps go back to the hospital, | 我想我还是回医院去 |
[39:16] | get a little tune-up. | 好好调整下吧 |
[39:49] | Surely you’re feeling better about things. | 你肯定感觉好多了 |
[39:52] | I’ve plied you with alcohol. | 我用酒精帮你解脱了 |
[40:01] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[40:04] | It suddenly occurred to me, Alan, | Alan 我突然想到 |
[40:06] | you weren’t using me at all. | 你根本没有利用我 |
[40:09] | You were using Miles. | 你利用了Miles |
[40:13] | How so? | 怎么这么说? |
[40:15] | I think… | 我想… |
[40:18] | He was some sort of device for you to look despicable in my eyes. | 他只是被你利用 好让我觉得你很卑鄙 |
[40:23] | It’s your pattern with women, | 这是你对女人一贯的手段 |
[40:26] | I think, to get them to… | 我想 让她们… |
[40:31] | You know when you psychoanalyze me, | 你知道 当你分析我时 |
[40:33] | I find you much less sexually attractive. | 我就觉得你对我就没什么吸引力了 |
[40:35] | Yes, nice deflection, but… | 是啊 话题转得不错 但是… |
[40:37] | Don’t try and get in my head, Sally. | Sally 别想弄透我 |
[40:39] | You won’t like the mess. | 你不会喜欢我乱七八糟的内心的 |
[40:47] | You weren’t telling me to run from the law the other night. | 前两天晚上 你不是想让我离开法律这行 |
[40:49] | You were telling me to run from you. | 你是想让我离开你 |
[40:51] | Maybe you think it’s my relationship with you | 可能你觉得最终失去人性的 |
[40:54] | that’s ultimately dehumanizing. | 是我和你的关系吧 |
[40:57] | So being an incredibly decent man, | 虽然你一直在掩盖 |
[41:01] | which you are underneath all your stuff, | 但你的确是个难以置信的好人 |
[41:06] | you decided to warn me. | 你警告过我 |
[41:13] | I’m not trying to push you away. | 我没想推开你 |
[41:16] | Are you trying to keep me? | 那你想让我留下吗? |
[41:20] | We either go forward or go in opposite direction, | 我们要么更进一步 要么分道扬镳 |
[41:23] | because I don’t like where we are now. | 因为我不喜欢我们现在的状态 |
[41:28] | What forward do you mean? | 更进一步是什么意思? |
[41:39] | You know what? | 你知道吗? |
[41:41] | I think I’ll just move forward. | 我想我应该先走一步了 |